[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 363
Thread images: 40

Undead Games Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread
>>50983052

Seeing as last thread some people were talking about reviving "dead" games, I was wondering what actually dead games were actually brought back, and how?
>>
>>51067113

>That moment when you bring up all quiet on the martian front
>ends up as the main picture for a new /awg/ thread

I know I look autistic but fuckin A it feels good.
>>
File: heavygears.jpg (387KB, 811x786px) Image search: [Google]
heavygears.jpg
387KB, 811x786px
>>
Speaking of dead games can someone tell me of what essentially happened to DUST? Paulo Parente fucked it right? But how?
>>
>>51067837

From what I hear, he had a very specific vision of how he wanted the game to be played, that being: with the grids, rather than inches/cm. It's sort of a niche game driven by the overwhelming amount of sales of the German tank-walkers, so after switching publishers a handful of times, the game basically just died out.
>>
>>51067896

What a shame. I always hated the grid thing for wargames but that's me.

Really wish we had a weird war setting with great minis like DUST had. Then again I'd love a ww2 game set 1946+ that was more grounded in reality too but that's me.
>>
>>51068326
Konflict '47 which is heavily based on bolt action can be used with as little of the weird as you want!?!
>>
>>51068326
>>51069091
Basically this, or just take the Bolt Action rules and add your 1946 "realistic" weapons to it. Rules for the Maus and the IS-3 are already in the game, so you could look at these and base other 45+ tanks upon their profiles.
>>
>>51069091

Ok?!?!? Thanks anon?!??!

>>51069226

Didn't know bolt action had rules for the maus.
>>
>>51067113
>I was wondering what actually dead games were actually brought back, and how?
When Kraken Editions went out of business some fans bought Alkemy and are now releasing new models and rules for the game.

It's not the same anymore though.
>>
>>51067113
>I was wondering what actually dead games were actually brought back, and how?
Warzone with Warzone Resurrection.
>>
File: Vlad.jpg (36KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Vlad.jpg
36KB, 960x720px
For the anon in the last thread who wanted to know where I got my This is Not a Test warband from they are kitbashed mostly from Warlord Games plastic kit's

They've got bits from: Winter Soviets, USMC, US Army, US Airborne, German Grenadiers and a few bits from the Apocalypse Survivors and Biker Gang sprues.

The heads are from a Polish site called roleplayupkit and the brass etch is from Hasslefree.
>>
>>51070757
Wow, that looks really awesome.

With a Lasgun you'd have a very nice Steel Legion soldier as well.
>>
>>51070952

Cheers, the pics of the others are in the archived thread. I'm working on a couple more today so I might post them later.
>>
>>51071228
Looking forward to see the new pics.

You really make me want to buy some of these survivor sprues to start convert my own.
>>
>>51070952
>With a Lasgun you'd have a very nice Steel Legion soldier as well.
You know, mad robot has every single part of the steel legionnaire's body as separate bit, but are not selling them for fear of a C&D I assume.
They're called stormtrooper or something like that. If you were to order a custom squad made up of those parts you'd essentially have multipart steel legion miniatures.
They even have the aquila shaped buckles and all.
>>
Page 8 bump.
>>
Anyone have the Horizon Wars pdf? I'm interested in reading it.
>>
>>51070469
God, those new minis...
>>
I really wish Mantic would release Firefight on Mantic Digital as I want to see the changes they made to the proof read of the final PDF so I can see what I need to add to my mass of Deadzone models
>>
>>51074744
Alright anon, here's the pdf - but promise me to buy either the book or a boxed set from Mantic if you like it.

https://mega.nz/#!WdUxzRQb!Pdd0VncukXw7uIB9mOzR1gU9EiEVh2jAwOaQu0mS1eQ
>>
>>51074484
Mind posting the new ones vs the old ones?
>>
File: 136-489-thickbox.jpg (73KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
136-489-thickbox.jpg
73KB, 600x600px
>>51075505
Pictures for ants, because I'm on my phone, but the old ones:
>>
File: 427-770-thickbox.jpg (57KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
427-770-thickbox.jpg
57KB, 600x600px
>>51075721
And the new ones:
>>
File: image.jpg (112KB, 1442x523px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 1442x523px
>>51075505
the guy in the red pants was the first new model.
Part of the problem is the presentation. The other is quality.
Some of the newer stuff doesn't look quite as terrible, still hit and miss though.
>>
>>51067113
why is the tripod on the left wielding tennis balls?
>>
>>51075750
Oh god, that middle pic.
>>
There really needs to be more of advertising for All Quiet on the Martian front.

And maybe a rebranding to a shorter name because damn that doesn't even make for a good acronym.

I'm still surprised every time I am reminded it's not actually a dead game/miniatures line. And that shouldn't be the case, because of all the sci-fi games of recent times this one at least had something going for it in setting and style.

>>51075963
Mech-scale gas grenades.
>>
>>51076035
I mean, it seems pretty cheap to get into. Wayland Games is selling the starter set for $80.
>>
>>51075750
>>51076023
> Be strong, clarence
>>
What are some wargames that are 15mm or less in size? I know about DZ:C and DW, but what else is there?
>>
>>51074897
Thanks kindly anon, I'm downloading as I type and don't worry I most certainly will be buying something from mantic again. I'll be getting the fluff book with this when it drops and I just ordered Nexus Psi about 30 mins ago as it's not digital.

Cheers again :)
>>
>>51077598
Flames of War, All quiet on the martian front

Epic 40k and Warmaster (both discontinued,but you scan still find models)
>>
>>51074897
Cheeky anon didn't ask if you had the Warpath and setting pdf's so I'll be cheekier and ask, if you're willing oh holder of PDF goodness?

I'm sure any anon who acess's will spend at Mantic as a Thank You
>>
>>51077598
Gruntz, pretty much everything by Nordic Weasel, All the DBx games including Hordes of the Things, Laserburn, Alien Squad Leader.

There's a lot of shit, also many games that aren't specifically for =<15mm can be easily adapted for it.
>>
>>51077598
Grunts and Tomorrow's War is also written to be playable in both 28mm or 15mm
>>
>>51077598
15mm.co.uk has a selection of 15mm rule systems. Worth a look
>>
>>51078140
Alrite, here they are:
https://mega.nz/#!zV0jBQqS!ywnihn_iMmweC29K72pUh7qovL226NUYRY-QRiNumnw

https://mega.nz/#!KZNgyTrJ!ssBraBjwOUNJSuSBACV2TdELdJlTj5dyjAj21H5OWWM

One more request - if you play a game, write a report about it, how the system played, how did you like the games, etc. Would like to hear people's opinions on it.

Also, wonder how much new stuff I'll need for my Enforcers - right now I have around a dozen painted minis plus a lot of unpainted ones. Seeing how they are the third army I've painted with the same light grey (first is Bauhaus, second is Afterlife Unity Council), it gets a bit boring.
>>
>>51078340
Cheers anon. Thanks for the set, always nice when someone asks and someone can supply.
I went in really heavy on the first Deadzone, enough to get the slipcase rules, hardback rules, the resin reb and the resin stage 1. Whilst I was waiting I got the Enforcers army set and a beginner Forge Father's set.

I hobby overloaded, stepped away for 18months/ 2 years and just returned to my Mantic pile! So I'm building and looking at the freebie Deadzone 2 rules I'm doing ok but the amount I've got I thought sod it Firefight it is, so cheers I'll look into some lists and give it a spin :)

Good luck with your Enforcer lot, yeah going grey after Bauhaus might be a bit difficult. Maybe introduce a different colour for the rest of your squads, with grey in there to unite it as a combined set. Or even respay and start a fresh. I think Mantic could be onto a winner with this lot!
>>
>>51078691
* Respray not respay whatever that is
>>
>>51078691
Nah, a unified army will look great - I might need to take some breaks, which wouldn't be a problem as I have other armies as well.

Do you have any good color schemes for the FF? I got a bunch of them as freebies, got a set of Forge Guards for cheap, and traded a sprue of the new figures for some Brokkrs. Enough for a Deadzone warband I'd say, but will need some reinforcements in the future. Wish they'd step away from metal tho, the Loren Chard mini was pretty shit to work with and I'm not looking forward doing my DZ metal characters either.
>>
>>51078748
Yeah it's nice when you can put down a nice looking force united by painting, great idea.
I stuck to the Mantic colours for the Brokkrs, but my forge guard I did in yellow and red like iron man.
Yeah the metals are a bit up and down. To be fair to restic, which I never thought I'd say, but they seem to use it well- but it's got more details all over than the plastic. Yeah the knees are better in plastic but when it isn't butchered that restic is nice (apart from the lines of doom flash)
>>
>>51078748
I put mine up on the mantic forum when I had a little return in April this yeah, in the Deadzone Forge Father's section, but I'm back on the hobby fully now!
>>
>>51075750
PJs matter a lot though their new cats are amongst their weakest.
>>
>>51078046

Are those the only games that have dedicated model lines for them? Because most of the other ones is see being mentioned here either only have rules or only have models.
>>
>>51079410
No they are not, if you check out 15mm.co.uk there are plenty of rules that have models for them. Sci-fi and fantasy ranges
>>
>>51078943
To be quite frank restic was much better than metal. Most of my enforcers are from that, they are cheaper, lightweight, and besides the mouldlines, no negative points to be honest.
>>
>>51079954
I can only agree, just some of my Enforcers in restic have been how can I put it - rather enthusiastically been snipped before they've arrived and lost bits of their belts and shoulder pads. But the detail is great and other than the lines really impressed with what they can do with PVC and far better than their metals
>>
Anyone have a PDF of Five Parsecs from Home? I've got a tonne of miscellaneous scifi dudes that I'd like to use.
>>
>>51074897
Good to see they fixed the Shields problem.

>>51078340
I'm still not sold on Suppression in Warpath.
>>
>>51079449

So I'm looking at the miniatures on there and the miniatures really seem to fluctuate in quality. What are some of the better lines on their?
>>
Wheres a good place to pick up high quality 28mm western models on the cheap. I'm especially interested getting some native american or union peices
>>
>>51076035

Yeah, the devs are still kick ass trying to put shit out too. The BEF land ship is on the roster for release along with the martian overseer.

and 80 bucks for what you get in the starter isn't bad too.
>>
>>51085270
A little taller than 28mm, but Black Scorpion does some nice Western figs.
I ended up buying most of the Tombstone line a bit back, and they're pretty nice. It's a shame they're resin, but nobody's perfect.
>>
>>51085270
Perry does plastic kits for the american war of independence.
Their indians are metal but pretty nice, though not quite as cheap.
Wargames Factory had plastic woodland indians, these should be sold by warlord these days.
Foundry also has metal indians that are a bit more affordable than the perry metals I think.

And yeah, Black Scorpion for random cowboys is good. Reaper also has a bunch of models that might fit the style. Cowboys mostly, but a few month ago they released some 'victorian' civilians that would work as townsfolk too I think.
>>
>>51083268
Ion age is the sci-fi game that gets the most attention from the guy running the company. I'm signed up to their newsletter and that's the range that gets new models and the most offers
>>
anybody has pdf of Deus Vult 'Burn and loot' here?
>>
>>51078340
Thank you Anon. I'm a Mantic Fanboy who came back to the hobby after the warpath KS. I bought in black friday hundreds of Warpath miniatures in retail (more or less 400 xD) and it is a shit to dont have the rulebook and dont being able to get it anywhere.

Now the hard part. Teach other ppl to play and promote the game :)
>>
>>51088123
I too like Mantic, good value and nice models for that value. I'm glad that they have realised that kickstarter, although good for fans, has dented their appeal with retail stores and this has had a noticeable knock-on effect with post kickstarter support instore. Here's hoping that this means more Mantic gaming instore and they can get a better footing so they are improving as they grow.
>>
>>51087700
Foundry minis are quite a gem, specially the fantasy ones. A bit pricey.
>>
You know, I just realized I have never seen a single advertisement for any wargame that was not on a company newsletter or on the game site itself. That's a bit weird, no?
>>
>>51090304
4-5GBP for a single shitty model is not just a "bit" pricey.

I welcome the Foundry nymphs being back in production again, but fuck me if I'll pay that much when I want the entire range.
>>
>>51090346
>That's a bit weird, no?
You only tend to see them in magazine like Wargames Illustrated or other stuff aimed at the target audience.
Placing ads in mainstream media is more expensive and also mostly gonna be a waste of money.
Add to that, that most small companies already operate on a shoestring budget.

Even Reaper only has 20 people or so on staff.
>>
>>51090452
Oh yeah, I forgot wargaming magazines were a thing.
>>
>>51090967
More of a thing in the UK.

The new Miniature Wargames hasn't quite got over the transition from Miniature Wargames With Battlegames - the old editor was pretty great, but a new company bought the mag and wanted to bring it more in line with their other /tg/ mag. The new editor's not bad - it's Treadway, guy who does the Hammer's Slammers wargame - but there are some style things I dislike. Teething pains, hopefully.

Wargamer's Notebook is interesting as a free PDF mag, but because it's ridiculous ancient grogs they want you to email them and they'll reply with the PDF attached, rather than putting it up somewhere for download.

Lone Warrior is still good and I need to resub to it actually, let it lapse.

Wargames, Soldiers & Strategy is still one of those where I look the issue over for its contents before deciding whether I want to buy it, it's hit & miss for me.

I still look at Wargames Illustrated, but... it's usually miss.
>>
>>51090304
They have some nice ex-Citadel stuff too.

They do Christmas discounts, I think this year's was "buy 8 £12 packs, get 2 free, buy 16, get 6 free." Not cheap, but if you don't mind saving all year and placing a big order (which should easily get free shipping), the "buy £192, get £72 free" deal isn't too shabby.
>>
>>51091234
>because it's ridiculous ancient grogs they want you to email them and they'll reply with the PDF attached, rather than putting it up somewhere for download.

That's bloody ridicu...

>ridiculous ancient grogs
>>
>>51091282
also one of the articles is "next (quarterly) issue I'll give you my set of horse & musket rules! let me talk about how cool they'll be first."

To be fair, another article talks about principles of designing a simple game and includes a half-page set of horse & musket rules.

It's neat, and has some pretty pictures, but hopefully the next issue has more to it.

There is a neat article on the 9th Cape War, and another nice piece on the Russo-Japanese War at sea. There's a little cartoon with wargamer humour that I actually laughed at, for a change.

https://grandduchyofstollen.blogspot.co.nz/2017/01/issue-1-of-wargamers-notes-quarterly.html

If you're a nerd, it's worth a look. You do at least get a polite personal email back from them.
>>
>>51091388
>also one of the articles is "next (quarterly) issue I'll give you my set of horse & musket rules! let me talk about how cool they'll be first."
incidentally, it's these rules: https://grandduchyofstollen.blogspot.co.nz/2016/10/tinkering-with-rules.html

Maybe he's tweaked them a bit since then.
>>
>>51091234
>Wargamer's Notebook is interesting as a free PDF mag, but because it's ridiculous ancient grogs they want you to email them and they'll reply with the PDF attached, rather than putting it up somewhere for download.

That is pretty ridicous. Also, just sent an email for a subscription.
>>
>>51091980
I would have posted the PDF, but... well, fuck it, why not let the old grogs have their fun? Someone else'll stick it in a trove eventually, I'm sure.
>>
>>51091980
I too have signed up for this publication
>>
>>51092017

Heh, you sure proved to those young punks that the old grogs are not to be trifled with.
>>
>>51092478
By young punks you mean thirty-something, right? Ain't exactly like the average wargamer age is getting any younger. (Especially if you take X-Wing/Warhammer out of the mix)
>>
File: CharacterArt01.jpg (274KB, 633x633px) Image search: [Google]
CharacterArt01.jpg
274KB, 633x633px
Hey guys.

What do you think about a coop-wargame? Every player controls a very small warband (different factions and a few diferent abilities for the factions) against a GM who in turn controls some recurring "villains", but also a lot of mooks and NPCs, Mordheim style but with a story or arc, a set of missions with consequences depending on your success.

Of course the GM wouldn't really care for winning that much

I'm not sure if it's a good alternative to RPGs and skirmish games or if coop is something best left for games with AIs.
>>
>>51093842
Doesn't seem that interesting for DM. Most coop games work on the idea of working against the board.
>>
>>51094311
I'm the one who posted that... I don't know man, I'd gladly do it, I mean, I can't see myself playing that other than GMing it.

I'd love to run the recurring villains and creating interesting stories.

But that's why I'm asking. Maybe you guys don't think it's doable or it pushes too much into RPG territory to the point of being just kinda dungeon crawler
>>
>>51095016
Yeah I have to agree with the other guy. Sounds like it's more of a thing you'd do in a board game, like a dungeon crawler or that type of game. Not that that's a bad thing.

Yours sounds a bit more of a RPG with figures idea. Again not a bad idea, if that's what you want but the scope for fun as the DM might just be your thing. Even running the co-op vs evil DM (descent type games) I'd rather play than run. Plus I'd also prefer an AI system so it's fully co-op or even solo play enable
>>
>>51078340
Been flicking through those pdf's and really enjoying the games and the background. Firefight is my main focus, and I've ordered some Asterians to bolster what I've got and some extra 3rd stages to bolster my plague.

I should be able to make 1250's for Enforcers (actually a lot more than 1250), Forge Father's, Asterians and Plague. I think I might just be able to squeeze Marauders as well.

Gonna try and run through the rules and build and paint something once I decide which one I want to focus on. Then build second best so I can at least demo. I'll try and post what happens, even if I have to solo it!!
>>
How many different war games do you guys play?
>>
/awg/ any reason why there aren't any good mech combat games with good minis?

Love battletech and the universe but the minis they show suck and the hex grid movement doesn't appeal to me. Anyone know any mech combat tabletops that are popular, have good minis, and have good rules?
>>
>>51093842
I've seen co-op done for Vietnam before. Players versus Vietcong that are either card driven or rolled on a table when terrain or othhr landmarks are approached.
>>
>>51096233
Heavy Gear? Or are those mechs not big enough for you?
>>
>>51091980
At least it's not Yahoo groups
>>
>>51096222

>Bolt action
>wanted to play warmahordes but too expensive
>Just dipped my toes into FFG's X-wing
>Thinking about picking up bloodbowl
>Thinking about getting into blood and plunder
>Thinking about getting into black powder
>REALLY want to try out all quiet on the martian front.

That's about it. Just started war gaming. Looking for a system to play alongside bolt action that I really like but so far haven't found anything that scratches that itch.
>>
>>51096222
Erm I have plenty for at least 15-20+ games and by that I mean at least two reasonable sides (some games many more than two armies) annoyingly even with the mountains of resin, PVC, plastic and metal I rarely get to play. Generally I'm limited to about 2 or 3 and whatever I can run solo so maybe another 2 or 3 games :(
>>
>>51096233
Have you looked at Alpha Strike, Battletech without the hex's? Your still stuck with their mechs, but the plastic ones aren't too bad. Or use heavy gears models?
I believe horizon wars is a rule system with mechs in the game, but no model line attached.
>>
>>51096211
Is warpath 6mm or 28mm? I'm finding videos for both on youtube.
>>
>>51096497
28mm but it's element based so it can work with other scales fairly easily.
>>
>>51096278

Ehh don't really like the kinda anime human aesthetic of it. Personally like the industrial gritty kinda look that DUST and battletech have.

>>51096414

Never heard about it till now. I'll have to check it out.

Other than that I guess I might just have to wait for 40k's titanicus game to come out.
>>
File: 72228_w_2.jpg (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
72228_w_2.jpg
83KB, 500x500px
>>51096573
Reaper have a game called CAV, the minis might not be to your taste (I dunno) but the rules are free and allow for a fair amount of mech customisation so you could find other models you do like and use those with the system.
>>
>>51096662

I swore there was a mech game on here not too long ago that just got kickstarted or something that looked promising.
>>
>>51096497
How very bizarre! Erm yeah first is heard of 6mm being used! Well it's only just started being shipped out to those who backed the game on kickstarter so any videos will be sparse on the new system. I think it's being branded as Warpath 2.0, because the other Warpath II never left beta testing!

There is two games: Firefight which is 28/32mm medium skirmish (20ish figures)
Warpath itself is it's large scale mass battle system which as mentioned it's element based so no reason why it wouldn't work scaled down!
>>
>>51096573
Yeah you might be safe with the Titanicus game, but I'd imagine you better start saving your money!!!
>>
>>51096906
* Is should of course be - are two games. Sorry poor form, I was typing to fast!
>>
>>51096945

Oh yeah... hopefully it doesn't rape my wallet too much.
>>
>>51096812
There was supposed to be an Armored Core board game come out but, the guys making it couldn't get the all clear from Fromsoftware ( god that feels awkward to type out) so they had to call it something else.
>>
>>51096999
Anon, its GW. Of course it's gonna rape your wallet, that's what they do.
>>
>>51096315
>>51096345
At 15-20 games I don't feel so bad. I already have Warhammer 40k and Infinity armies and was starting to get into other war games as well. Considering Warmachine/Hordes as well as grabbing Frostgrave and Rogue Stars rule books and thinking about a large formation style fantasy Wargame or possibly Age of Sigmar instead.

Didn't want too many wargames especially since I've started to get into boardgames too and also like to shoot a lot.
>>
>>51096551
>>51096906
I noticed they have 6mm infantry bases on their website for sale under warpath but all the models themselves are 28mm. I wonder if they are planning a 6mm release.
>>
>>51097226

Yeah infiniti is another game I wanna get into. You like it anon? Also frostgrave and rogue stars they good?
>>
>>51097260
I'm a huge fan of cyberpunk so I'm pretty biased towards infinity even though it isn't exactly 100% cyberpunk.
Plus I haven't found anyone to play with yet.

I don't have Frostgrave or Rogue Stars yet but Frostgrave looks like it would be a good light wargame and there is only one battle rep of Rogue Stars yet which looks really fun but also makes me want to see more before I commit to it yet. Then again both of those rulebooks are under $20 on amazon and can use any models so I might just grab them.
>>
>>51097316

Yeah I really like the models a lot as a hobbyist. I think they look pretty fucking nice.

Anyway back too looking for a mech game.
>>
File: Untitled.png (445KB, 1097x925px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
445KB, 1097x925px
>>51097244
?
>>
>>51097244
Erm those aren't 6mm bases, they are unit bases for small and large infantry
>>
>>51095016
That's something I've been planning to. Sort of. Mostly because I suck at games, but if I want to create situations for players they can and will win, and along with that, make interesting character driven stories, it might be worth it. Was thinking of doing this with This is Not a Test but would be nice for some fantasy games as well.

I'd say go for it, but make kind of like a generic "this is how you could do it" kind of stuff, don't write an entire system for it.

>>51096222
I don't play any, I just collect shit and paint them, because everyone plays fucking Warhamster or derivatives around here. Happy if I can play a game of BA once or twice.

>>51096264
[muffled Fortunate Son playing in the distance]
Everyone gets to be a squad commander while someone is the platoon commander, that sounds nice. Folks competing for resources, the commander assigning orders players have to carry out...and no talking back if the plan is stupid. Man, this would legit make an interesting, albeit a bit friendship breaking game.
>>
>>51097471
I've been craving a Mech game too but I just can't decide between them. Leaning strongly towards battle tech though.
>>
>>51097677
BA?
>>
>>51097471
>>51097692
If you want more modern-looking Battletech minis, look up Warhansa.

They're cheaper than Iron Wind Metals too because they're [TOTALLY LEGAL AND NOT JUST MWO RIPOFFS]
>>
>>51097692
Battletech has been around along time and still releasing product. I still have a soft spot for it, even Alpha Strike cause it wants to appeal to the quicker play market bless it
>>
>>51097745
Forgot to attach pic.
>>
>>51097724
Bolt Action. Which is basically a Warhammer derivative itself.
>>
>>51097763
Edges are cleaber than the battletech models at my local hobby shop. Looks better overall.
>>
What are some low budget wargames?
>>
>>51098028
Any of the Osprey skirmish games are budget as the rulebooks are cheap and Northstar does some really cheap box sets. Huge range of different settings so you should be able to find something there.

Mantic do cheap ranges Deadzone even Warpath firefight isn't overly expensive and will be getting a two player set April time. The do fantasy in the kings of war range that has a two player set

Warzone does cheap starter boxes and the rules are free. March/April/may are getting two side game/settings boxes coming out
Beyond the gates of Antares has a new cheap two player set
>>
>>51098028
Print-and-play hex and counter games are essentially free.
>>
>>51096264
Here's kinda that idea for Blitzkreig France
http://les1940.blogspot.com/2016/09/vallees-boisees.html?m=1
>>
>>51098114
Is there a US distributor for northstar figures? Or do I have to have them shipped from the UK?
>>
>>51097776

It does use some similar mechanics as 40k, but just saying its a derivative implies that it is the same shithole mess that 40k has become.
>>
>>51098476
It was designed by ex-40k designers who based a lot of it off of 40k.
>>
Any of you ever think about going about the world building, model and rules design just to get the miniature game you want?
>>
>>51098688
God no. It would take so much work to do all that.
>>
>>51067113
>casemates with no vertical gun elevation
>20 ft tall tower turret
>vs very mobile tripod walkers 30+ ft off the ground

No wonder the martians were winning.
>>
File: Counterattack.jpg (526KB, 1600x1097px) Image search: [Google]
Counterattack.jpg
526KB, 1600x1097px
>>51099090
That isn't the full picture.
>>
>>51099221
Dude, just making a war of the worlds joke, gosh.
>>
>>51099291
Golly gee anon. We don't make jokes around here.
>>
File: yk01g.gif (11KB, 279x340px) Image search: [Google]
yk01g.gif
11KB, 279x340px
>>51099309
In more seriousness, what game and scale is that? I could do with some of that.
>>
>>51099360
All Quiet on the Martian front. No idea what scale it is. Honestly I didn't like the look of the minis originally but I find it's growing on me the more I see the images posted.
>>
>>51099360
All Quiet on the Martian Front, 15mm.
>>
>>51099395
>>51099399
Rockin'

I've already got a ton of spare WWI peter pig stuff, and terrain as is.
>>
File: tripods1.jpg (2MB, 1716x1218px) Image search: [Google]
tripods1.jpg
2MB, 1716x1218px
>>51099395
I would say the only minis I didn't like that much were the Martian ones, but that was more due to the paint job. If I got the minis, I would go for a more robotic look for the eyes.
>>
>>51099706

I like the black paintjob on the martians and not just the gun metal grey.
>>
So if video games can do everything a wargame can why has no one made video games that play like a tabletop war game? Also, why were people so convinced thay 3d printing would kill off large companies like GW when video games couldn't?
>>
>>51099919
Yeah, most of the examples have a very plastic-y look to them.

>>51099926
> Also, why were people so convinced thay 3d printing would kill off large companies like GW when video games couldn't?

No one ever thought video games would destroy wargaming. People like to put together, paint, play with, and own physical models. 3-d printing however directly competes with model manufacturers, as you could just buy a printer and print out your own models, and not have to buy them from G-Dubs. However, the technology has not reached the point where it is both a) cost-effective and b) good. Its still better to make models using molds instead of 3-d printers, as currently only the most expensive 3-d printers (as in ones that cost thousands of dollars) make decent models.
>>
>>51100149
And even then it costs at least $5-10 per model to print, as you have to take into account the fact that you usually need high quality resin for those really expensive printers, which means it is still more affordable to buy minis from manufacturers.
>>
>>51100186
And that $5-10 per model only refers to a single 28mm figure. If we are talking about things like tanks, those would cost you a whole lot more.
>>
>>51100149
>>51100186
Ah, okay.
>>
>>51100186
>>51100233
I think the general idea is to print one master figure then make moulds from it to produce cheaper copies.
>>
>>51100255
That's what most miniature manufacturers are doing nowadays, such as Spartan Games and G-Dubs. It allows them to produce models at a lot faster rate, as now they can rely on computer artists instead of actual sculptors. However, most people are inherently lazy and would never think of making their own molds. If that was the cast, most mini manufacturers would have been out of business years ago. That's why when 3-d printers started becoming a thing those lazy people thought they could just press a button and instantly have an entire army for no real cost.
>>
>>51100149
>>51100186
>>51100233
>>51100255
Paper printer didnt kill hex & chit games though. Many consumer printers can handle thicker materials than computer paper. You can also buy full page labels and cut them up to stick on cardboard to make your own chits.
>>
>>51100360
And a lot of video games don't have the same kind of tactical wargaming as tabletop.
>>
>>51100360
But again, people are inherently lazy and would rather buy a pre-printed, pre-made game in a nice box. Thats probably the biggest reason why 3d printers will not kill of mini manufactures for 30+ years at the very least.
>>
>>51100149
There's a lot of people that prefer pre-made and painted models for their war gaming.
>>
>>51100421
It won't ever kill them with that argument. Hex & Chit games can already be just printed out.
>>
>>51100360
The thing is I imagine playing a minis game with 3D printed models is not much different to playing with bought ones.

However I can vouch that playing hex and chit with proper counters is a much nicer experience than using home made ones.
>>
>>51100434
Yes, but I believe that majority of wargamers play games that require the players to put together and paint their models, especially with regards to historical wargaming.
>>
>>51100186
>$5-10 per model to print
That verifiably isn't true though. Look at the same in volume of 3D printer filament or UV resin like Makerjuice. It costs far less.
>>
Any thoughts on Rogue Stars?
>>
>>51100450
Oh most definitely. Entire industries exist due to how lazy most people are.
>>
>>51100478
But is it just that part the keeps people in the hobby? A lot of people just do the minimum in acceptable qaulity or even play without painting their models. Is it the social aspect for these people? The fact that many tabletop wargames have a lot more depth than most strategy video games? If ideo games with the same strtegic depth where to be actually releassed instead of how dumbed down most "stretegy" video games are could it put a dent in a part of the tabletop wargaming player base?
>>
>>51100489
Hmm, how many milliliters of resin would be in an 28mm model?
>>
>>51100576
Turn off auto-correct on my phone and I make tons of mistakes on tbis virtual keyboard. Leave it on and it changes what you say.
>>
>>51100477
But what's the difference between a proper chit and one printed out on your own printer if you use a good printer and decent cardboard?
>>
>>51100576
>But is it just that part the keeps people in the hobby? A lot of people just do the minimum in acceptable qaulity or even play without painting their models. Is it the social aspect for these people?
No, because like I said before people also like to collect and own the models. People like to possess things, its in our nature.
>The fact that many tabletop wargames have a lot more depth than most strategy video games?
Not really. I wouldn't even say that tabletop wargames have more depth than strategy video games.
>>
>>51100582
It depends. Let's say about 8 milliliters. As Makerjuice is $33 for 500 mL, you would be set back about $0.53 for each regularly sized guy. Keep in mind as resin inside something doesn't entirely cure, you can drill a hole in some larger figures in order to reclaim some resin and save money as a result.
>>
>>51100703
Yeah, so I would say that people being lazy is a bigger factor than the cost making minis. Also, aren't most 3d printed things still inherently weaker than than minis from a mold due to the process?
>>
>>51100678
>I wouldn't even say that tabletop wargames have more depth than strategy video games.
I would say that games like Infinity are definitely a lot more tactical than your average strategy video game. What do you think is different about the gameplay then?
>>
>>51100515
I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet, but I find the rules pretty interesting.
>>
>>51100757
They are as weak as anything made from resin.

If you are lazy then that is totally fine. I personally already make all of my tanks for Flames with a 3D printer, as it is very cheap and I think it is a good option.
>>
>>51100803
Which 3d printer do you have?
>>
>>51100772
I would say the biggest difference in gameplay is that strategy video games emphasize speed and reflexes over positioning and tactics. That is not to say strategy video games have neither of those, but they are not the most important part of most games.
>>
>>51100817
I have a Little RP for resin and a Prusa i3 for regular filament. Contrary to what was said earlier, neither cost me more than $1000.
>>
>>51100803
I was referring more to the fact that 3-d printed objects are a bunch of layers on top of layers, and that the bindings between those layers are not as strong.
>>
>>51100860
That depends on the material and type of printer. With resin baking or sintering that isn't a factor.
>>
>>51098688
All the time.
>>
>>51100963
Do it so I don't have to.
>>
>>51100826
I have to agree. Honestly I don't care about the collection part of wargames that much but I really like how in general the rules are more complex and there is more tactical maneuvering and other tactical parts being more important. Too many strategy video games feel like the combat is attack blob v attack blob. That or you can get as indepth with the maneuvering and tactics of each unit because it's real time and you have too many units you have to control all at the same time.
>>
>>51100988
I'd have to say the same. I would also like to point out that when it comes to content, scenarios, factions, and choice, you really can't beat what you can do with a wargame. Just look at how few options the Dawn of War games have compared to the tabletop game they are derived from. This is possible because of course no one needs to program and model anything.
>>
>>51100988
can't*

>>51101023
That, and I like how each time you play you get a different battle field that can still be balanced just fine because it's designed inteligently.

I also feel like even with turn based video games they are still designed around be able to be picked up and learned more quickly while with table top wargaming you can have it be much more complex because people will be more invested in it and learning the rules and the ins and outs of it.
>>
>>51074897
I've given a gander and, is it me, or is the best way to deal with tanks to hose them down with guns, especially suppressive ones?
>>
Mech guy here. I've gone on a long quest to look for something that suits my needs. So far nothing has been found.

Looks like I'll continue hoping for a battletech alpha strike game with updated minis and cool shit like letting me bring down a union class full of reinforcements. But alas... I doubt it will happen.

All I wanted was a mech game that'd scratch that itch for me. It's all good though least it lets me save money to buy dropzone commander or all quiet on the martian front stuff.
>>
Speaking of AQMF, all of the rules are free on the website. http://quietmartianfront.com/rulesfaqs/
>>
Is AQMF and the spartan games stuff dare I say.... /ourgames/?
>>
>>51067113
i-is this where malifaux has receded to?
>>
>>51101820
If by that one is run by autists and the other is run by hobbyists, then yes.
>>
>>51101840
Mali-what?
>>
>>51101840
No. They haven't added aliens to the setting, yet. Just kaijus and some DBZ tier bullshit.
>>
>>51101915
Pretty sure that he is talking about the fact Malifaux doesnt have its own thread.
>>
>>51101937
The threads die occasionally, let me make another one
>>
>>51101956
I didnt know Malifaux was popular enough to have its own thread. Also, still dont know what it is.
>>
>>51101850

But... which is which...
>>
>>51101994
It's a weird west skirmish game which uses cards instead of dice and you do all sorts of sicknasty combos in order to score points
>>
>>51102038

Take a guess.
>>
>>51102317

AQMF the good guys
Spartan games the autists.

Called it.
>>
>>51102331
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!
>>
>>51101994
In my country is pretty popular, I don't play it but the minis are nice.
>>
>>51102668
What, France?
>>
Can someone explain wild west exodus too me. Seems like it gets marketed but not really discussed here. Then again I'm new to /awg/.
>>
>>51103405
I have never seen that mentioned here.
>>
>>51097763

One more row on that thing's "chest" and you could play Tic-Tac-Toe on it.
>>
>>51101374
There has been done improved plastic fine by catalyst and hopefully a two player alpha strike game with clan mechs soon â„¢ there is also an expansion book which might contain the reinforcements from dropships but I'm not sure
>>
>>51101374
Actually I've got both books on my iPad and at a glance I think you can do the transporting thing with just the base book. It has landing rules and even templates for the two types of dropships in the back of the book.
Models as someone else mentioned warhansa does some fine ones, if not as I said the plastic ones catalyst are knocking out are not bad
>>
>>51100772
Infinity is at it's core just a poor man's x-com, there's nothing inherently deeply tactical about that game. It utilizes a bunch of gimmicks to add depth, but the basic game is even more simplistic than 40k initially was.
>>
>>51103748
That thing is 100 tons of assault mech. Not sure the pilot would appreciate you trying to scratch O's and X's on his armour. I'd want something far more damaging, from far away cause he'll be shooting back with a lot of firepower
>>
i wonder... are there any wargames with furshit races?
>>
File: sirjohnmonash.jpg (17KB, 300x456px) Image search: [Google]
sirjohnmonash.jpg
17KB, 300x456px
>>51067113
>WW1 era War of the Worlds

Is there a playable Sir John Monash commander yet?
>>
>>51105547
?
>>
File: 6465-9529.jpg (544KB, 900x960px) Image search: [Google]
6465-9529.jpg
544KB, 900x960px
>>51105904
like pic related.
I'm tired of humans/elves/orcs in games
>>
>>51106137
How is that furshit? It's got no fur and not shit! Try asking in English instead of tard and you might get some responses that make sense!

Rant over and I'll have a look :)
>>
>>51106137
Rather than look, I do remember that Warmahordes have a number of races aren't orcs Skorne for one. They have a minion set that have croc warriors that that one in your image.
>>
File: ClockFairy.gif (12KB, 175x292px) Image search: [Google]
ClockFairy.gif
12KB, 175x292px
I like Fairy Meat!
>>
>>51106223
not necessarily crocs bro, just not humans/elves/orcs..
just give me any beast
>>
File: 5815.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg (11KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
5815.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg
11KB, 368x368px
>>51106409
With just a little search I give you:
>>
File: 5817.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg (7KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
5817.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg
7KB, 368x368px
>>51107709
And:
>>
File: 5812.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg (10KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
5812.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg
10KB, 368x368px
>>51107721
This also:
>>
File: 5521.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg (12KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
5521.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg
12KB, 368x368px
>>51107728
Followed by:
>>
File: 4967.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg (10KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
4967.1.368.368.FFFFFF.0.jpg
10KB, 368x368px
>>51107743
Finally this:

All done from Mantic Games Kings of War range. They have others but I thought I'd give you a taster and then hopefully you'll be able to find some more mostly because I'm bored of the reCaptcha
>>
>>51107743
mantic are getting better
much better tan their drakken riders
>>
>>51107817
Yeah well they were from their early days. They definitely getting better as they grow.
>>
>>51107817
>>51107948
They just need to get better painters because holy shit their stock paintjobs don't do the models any favours.
>>
>>51107989

No some of their older models are complete garbage. Nothing can fix those scuplts, their new stuff is pretty solid though. It is pretty great when you look at the price as well.
>>
File: Untitled_1.png (68KB, 252x252px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_1.png
68KB, 252x252px
>>51108014
And if you look at them while it's on sale or part of a big bundle, man, you'll face some tough questions why you kept buying Geedubs.
>>
>>51105500
Now that's not true at all. As someone who has played a shit ton of xcom infinity definitely has more tactical depth. A lot more.
>>
File: officialvshobbyist.png (3MB, 1952x666px) Image search: [Google]
officialvshobbyist.png
3MB, 1952x666px
>>51108014
>their new stuff is pretty solid though.

And frequently spoiled by shoddy paintjobs on their store page, which is what my point was.
>>
>>51108042

You really don't have to buy from them any more. Their new stuff is WOW bullshit and there is so much used stuff on the market still you can get it for cheap. Those old models just need some TLC and they look great.
>>
>>51108248
>Their new stuff is WOW bullshit
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>51108144
Is there a US distributor for their models?
>>
>>51108144
True. Their presentation is just bad, but maybe thats deliberate because they know the average gamers minis would look similar?
>>
>>51106137
>scrolling through awg
>get excited because somebody might be discussing Hell Dorado
>check post
>oh well
>>
>>51108433
I dunno, I think if you want to sell a product it's generally advisable to make it look as good as possible.
>>
>>51108433
>but maybe thats deliberate

Deliberately making their shit look less appealing than they could as some kind of inverse marketing psychology, or just not spending the money for a top notch paintjob.

The former does not seem like the more likely scenario.
>>
>>51107989
Yeah some of their printers are fine, others really don't do the figures justice. This is a shame as I really like their stuff, and their prices
>>
>>51108483
Painters, poxy phone!!
>>
>>51108479
Even GW painting guides in White Dwarf are aimed at 'how practiced painters' not top notch heavy metal painters. But they still have their webshop figures better painted, although even some of those look junk and better in the flesh.

Mantic just need some better consistent painters for their products
>>
>>51108473
>>51108479

Its known that GW tells their "eavy metal" team (as well as Duncon on Warhammer TV) to hold back and paint the stuff not as good as they can, but more like tabletop standard. They do this so people can relate. If they only show golden demon level stuff then people would be intimidated.
So its not that irrational to believe that mantic thinks that it might be a good idea to go even further to make their stuff look "bad" so lots of people can relate to it.

And they are not the only company doing something like this. Tamiya (one of the biggest scale model producers) always shows kits on their website in a "terrible" (i.e. basecolors and decals) way. Revell, Italeri... lots of other companies do this as well.
>>
File: GOskirmisher3_front1.jpg (1MB, 1327x1950px) Image search: [Google]
GOskirmisher3_front1.jpg
1MB, 1327x1950px
>>51107755
>>51107743
>>51107728
>>51107721
>>51107709
they look nice but damn Kings of War... it's for the butthurt WHFB

Also the thing i noticed, why wargaming creators nearly never use werewolves. It's my fucking fave fantasy creature.

House Goritsi (pic related) in game called Wrath of Kings looks fucking sweet but it's not available in any shop in my country.
Fucking whyyyy

>>51108468
i saw it while scrolling through the shop and figures look neat but i am more than sure i would be like the only fucking person in the whole country who would collect this
>>
>>51108628
>they look nice but damn Kings of War... it's for the butthurt WHFB

So? If you like the models just get them and play a different system.
>>
File: 1468934249608.png (41KB, 393x400px) Image search: [Google]
1468934249608.png
41KB, 393x400px
>>51108663
>So? If you like the models just get them and play a different system.
it's for butthurt WHFB fagets because it is heavy in rules and needs as much models as fantasy battle.
I actually dislike heavy rules that's why i don't really want to get in that...
guess i am too picky...
>>
>>51108734
>heavy in rules
KoW? What?
>>
>>51108734
So, you know, don't play the system.

Am I missing something here?
>>
>>51108766
> heavy in rules
I've given kings of war a go and i wasn't really that impressed by it's rules system but it wasn't a heavy rules system, hell 40k rules are more heavy than kings of war
>>
>>51108628
Erm main reason for lack of werewolves is because most of us oldies would point to them and say Rackham did them better. Lucky for Wrath of Kings is they are ex-Rackham and same sculptor as well. But if you like werewolves look up Cadwallon I think it is, they still sell them and they even link to a free set of rules based on Confrontation. One very good game, fan supported after the demise of Rackham and I've seen it's influence in Osprey Books skirmish games.

Also don't tarnish Kings of War with just WFB players it's a game of its own too
>>
>>51108734
Erm have you read the rules or played them? Obviously not because they are far from heavy which was one of its appeal as an alternative game.

Go to Mantic's website and download the free rules and see for yourself how wrong heavy is!
>>
>>51108628
Also, when I saw wrath of kings I just brought the two player starter. I don't care I'm not going to get to play I just wanted plastic werewolves and they are really nice models, almost up to the original Rackham metals
>>
>>51096222

What I'm currently capable of playing (as in I've got the stuff

>Warhammer Fantasy
Large ogre army

>Warhammer 40k
Small Catachan force

>Relic Knight
Large Noh, small black diamond, small shattered sword

>Batman Miniature Game
League of shadows crew, a few batman variants

>Warmachine
Massive legion army

>MERCS
Essentially every faction

>Infinity
Large haqqi force, large ariadna force, some yu-jing, some combined

>Arena Rex
About 7 models

>Heavy Gear
About 80 models. Evenly split between the two factions

>Battle Tech
Anniversary box and a few extra models
>>
>>51108734

Wtf are you babbling about?

Age of Sigmar (with all the bullshit special exceptions thrown in) is heavier than Kings of War.

KoW is just a little bit more heavier than One (but actually three) Page Anon's WF rules.
>>
>>51108971

Whoops, forgot one

>Malifaux
Large 10T force, some ressers, some neverborn, some guild
>>
File: wfsp05-gd.jpg (28KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
wfsp05-gd.jpg
28KB, 400x400px
>>51108766
>>51108788
>>51108981
>>51108871
guess i was wrong about the rules, sorry...
still i don't really dig KoW...
>>51108819
I checked the Cadwallon shop and figures look really nice, not only the werewolves but all of them are awesome. Too bad it's not available in my country... i would have to import.
pic related
>>51108916
ye they look good, WoK not available for me here either...
>>
File: david-coverdale-2.jpg (81KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
david-coverdale-2.jpg
81KB, 900x750px
>>51096222
Bolt action (I like)
Team yankee (i like)
Infinity (don't really like it but have to play it to keep people happy)
Saga (not had a good game mostly because of people trying to sabotage the game)
Why are my local wargmers fucking scum
>>
>>51109032
No worries about KoW, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Sucks that you're stuck somewhere that's low on the supply of wargames. I'm lucky the UK is home to a lot of games and a lot of games come this way.

I'm sure your find something or even evilbay is worth a look?
>>
>>51109032

>still i don't really dig KoW...

Me either.
I tried them, but ... after WH, they're almost too simplistic.

These days, I'm mostly running on a (home-brewed cocktail) of One Page Anon's & Two Hour Wargames' rules.
Surprisingly enough, those two were quite similar.
>>
>>51109070

Scum eh? Here's my local group

>Infinity meta picks up
>I enjoy it, love showing the game off
>starts shifting towards hyper competitive atmosphere
>new people hitting a wall, scene not growing
>"hey guys, I've got a neat idea on how to teach people the game, and foster a community"
>"that's stupid anon, it's not using tourney standard rules. It's not infinity"
>"but we're losing players and new people are getting scared off. We're not growing, we're sort of dying"
>"who left the game?"
>"X, Y, and Z, with Z leaving last week"
>"well they weren't real players anyways" (and they proceeded to give the guys who left shit for it

I fucking hate what my infinity meta has become with a passion. We even have people on social media saying they're interested in learning, but word on the street is that new players get absolutely stomped. The state of things is ludicrous. I tried to fix it, but it's just not worth it.
>>
File: wfch04-gd_copy.jpg (49KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
wfch04-gd_copy.jpg
49KB, 400x400px
>>51109146
>Sucks that you're stuck somewhere that's low on the supply of wargames
I'm in Poland... it's nothingness here. It's just "mainstream" stuff here.. both Warhammers/Malifaux/Infinity/Warmahordes.
The problem is i don't like most of the figures of said things and Warhammer is simply too expensive.
That Cadwallon Rackham confrontation miniatures looks awesome but it's not sold here.
Fuck my life those figures are sweet
>>
>>51109160
Have you checked out 9th age?
>>
>>51109216

>that confrontation hydra mini

Hnnnnnnnnng
>>
File: Untitled.png (34KB, 668x467px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
34KB, 668x467px
>>51109216
Cadwallon will ship to Poland I think, they charge flat rates for shipping regardless of what country you're in.

I think they're based in France, but I might be wrong.
>>
>>51109211
Yeah that is the trouble warmahordes has, seems people have forgotten that gaming doesn't have to be ultra competitive the main reason is meant to be fun.
Infinity could literally be taken down to the rules in the operation starter sets to intro people to the game. It's a really nice game.

That's why I like Deadzone and will like Warpath Firefight because I've only seen fun for it so far :)
>>
>>51109269
Can i pay with MasterCard though?
That's my only option of payment
>>
>>51109216
>That Cadwallon Rackham confrontation miniatures looks awesome but it's not sold here.
>Fuck my life those figures are sweet
Okay, just to address this real quick.
Most wargames that are not historical that I can think of have werewolves.
And this game specifically you are posting miniatures of was orginally a french game before the company went out of business. That means these minis that you can buy are not exactly official stock.
Consequently you won't be able to buy them anywhere else at all. The game does not exists anymore except for this recaster, who can sell them without legal repercussions.

If you order from there your parcel will be marked as gift, i.e. you won't have to pay customs etc.

Even if that wasn't the case you'd just have to pay a little extra in shipping.
So I don't get the negative attitude, about not being able to get them at all desu.
Poland does have a reasonably functional mail service after all.
>>
>>51109316
Yes but I think you'd have to link it to a paypal account first.
>>
I wish I could find more people that played wargames other than Warhammer in NOVA.
>>
>>51109323
>So I don't get the negative attitude, about not being able to get them at all desu.
>Poland does have a reasonably functional mail service after all.
it's about my payment option, i only have MasterCard
>>51109337
i see...
>>
>>51109352
Paypal?
>>
>>51109216
Cadwallon are in the Ukraine so they will ship to Poland. Also you don't just have mainstream you have Maximini, kromlech(SP?) and Prodos good resin companies
>>
>>51109288

One of my friends said it's best to have a small group to play with than to rely on the local community to not be assholes.

Things are shit, but they don't have to be that way :(
>>
>>51109211
I'm pretty sure infinity killed my local gaming club, more than people getting bored of 40k, and the club not making an effort to attract new members other than word of mouth.

One of the guys i know from there has tried starting a new club but it seems even worse has even less people turning up to play any real games; unless it's mtg.

I found a new group who seem alright in another town, it's mostly bolt action or team yankee Historical place but hey i that's what i was trying to play.

>>51109371
It gets boring playing the same people.
>>
>>51109364
>Maximini, kromlech(SP?) and Prodos good resin companies
checked them, nothing nice there, just more of shithammer ;_;
>>
>>51109516
Prodos is Warzone most certainly better than 40k but not really beasts.

It's go with using your MasterCard Via PayPal and hit up Cadwallon, as I said rules are free too :)
>>
File: 249.jpg (34KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
249.jpg
34KB, 400x400px
>>51109562
fug...
also i won't even play with them. I am pretty sure nobody even remembers that here.
Maybe Wrath of Kings will happen here, i will have hope
>>
>>51109371
Yeah that's the trouble when the problem cannot be seen by those who are the problem and that attitude is difficult to get through. At least you're able to get games there is that!
>>
>>51109601
If you have some and can show an interest usually people will follow, as long as you have passion, that's what I've found. That and there's enough for others to pick sides to play :)
>>
>>51109217

No, because I thought they were just another (albeit non-GW) Warhammer edition.

Having now skimmed them, I see that I thought correctly.

I'll give them a test run, though - just to see how they handle.
>>
>>51108295

Their AOS stuff is all over the top comic-booky garbage. It has leaked into the 40k stuff as well which ends up being over designed and cartoony.

>>51109835
9th Age is just WFB. However, it is also WFB fixed to remove all the bullshit. It still needs work, but it is a vastly better product.
>>
>>51110693
Oh, for some reason I thought you were talking about Mantic.
>>
>>51110693
not all the bullshit, there's still the critical problem at the core of fantasy; it being a mass combat game with individual casualty removal
>>
>>51110977
Casualty removal could be okay if armies didn't have such a large figure count.
>>
>>51110977
>That's just like your opinion man

I like casualty removal. Somes its a pain, but every so often you get a dude who just refused to budge and its amazing.
>>
btw guise, is Wrath of Kings relatively new?
i don't even see thread about it here, or is it just not popular?
>>
>>51110693
Did 9th Age get rid of TLoS, random charge distances, and add premeasuring as well?
>>
>>51109070
Because a lot are really shitty spergs, or ass-blasted grogs with little room for anything else.

I'm in my own hell though.
>no one wants to play historicals (ww2/modern/whatever), even hypothetical WW3 stuff
>everyone thinks AK-47 Republic is racist and I should feel bad
>40kek hasn't been fun since 4th edition
>now it's only space marines and shotgun tau everywhere I look
>don't like steam-powered mechs, also the warmahordes crowd here is cancer
>the infinityfags are cancer
>DZC costs as much as warhammer despite being 10mm scale (and no one really plays it anyways)
>everyone thinks WHFB is dead and gave up on playing it
>no one will play anything that isn't current 40k, AoS, Infinity, or Warmahordes
>>
>>51111601
>everyone thinks AK-47 Republic is racist and I should feel bad
What the fuck.
>>
File: 1460426525966.jpg (316KB, 1600x786px) Image search: [Google]
1460426525966.jpg
316KB, 1600x786px
>>51110977
That's caused by edition bloat. Pic-related used to be the typical army size.
>>
>>51111629
Well it is a game where you play as an African warlord.
>>
>>51111652
Yep. About equivalent of 50 normal sized models. Ideal size.
>>
>>51111708
I know, but what the fuck. If you play Zulu war, that's racist as well? If you play the Island Hopping campaign or Burma, you're racist? If you play anything besides white men doing fights, it's racist?

Fuck me, the pulling strength of /pol/ becomes stronger every day.
>>
>>51111601
>>no one will play anything that isn't current 40k, AoS, Infinity, or Warmahordes
i want to play something else but i can't find anything interesting/with good models or is unavailable
>>
>>51111777
Historical wargames become the very quintessence of racism.
>>
File: burnout.png (16KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
burnout.png
16KB, 493x402px
>>51111860
>>
>>51111777
I would say it's more due to the fact that all of this conflicts took place 70+ years ago, while Africa still has ongoing problems with warlords. Just take a look at what is going on in South Sudan.
>>
>>51111962
Just because it's still happening, it doesn't make wargaming it racist. Playing the Crimea, or Iraq, or Afghanistan or whatever is not racist either.

Fuck me if I can understand why the misadventures of President of Bongolesia for Life, Richard Winchester III is racist.
>>
>>51111996
I would say it's mostly due to the fact that most people are a lot more ignorant about African conflicts over Middle-Eastern/European ones. Like, how many people do you know know that South Sudan is currently having a civil war between two of its largest ethnic groups?
>>
>>51112089
Then they have much bigger concerns than a fat single fuck wargaming African warlords in the sole confinement of his home somewhere in Europe.
>>
>>51112089
All this history talk seems like it should be in hwg, just saying
>>
>>51111652
I remember 3rd edition Warhammer fantasy battle and realms of chaos when it didn't take longer to set up your side than the whole game.

I really got sick of buying and building and painting larger and larger armies, spending ages setting them up for my opponent to get first turn and then magic off most of my army. Yeah that's a fun war game, I'll take what's left of my forces first turn after I've moved most of my dead off. Oh sorry you haven't finished casting spells. Oh ok good game well done.
>>
>>51112374
fantasy battle was always more fun with no magic
>>
>>51112467
So basically Warhammer Ancient Battles.
>>
File: FOR_YOU.gif (572KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
FOR_YOU.gif
572KB, 1280x720px
>>51111346
>>51109601
>>51109032
>>51108628
>Wahhh
>Nobody makes werewolf minis
>*posts furry-tits and thighs galore*

... I don't think I've seen a fantasy wargame that didn't have some form of werewolves. Even some of the Sci-Fi stuff has them.

They're just all genderless or male. Deal with it.
>>
>>51111346
Fairly it's one of those CMON games that got going because of kickstarter, so those interested already got everything cheap so stores were a little reluctant to stock it. Finally CMON released a two player starter last year and have done nice stuff coming out this year.

It's sort of their fantasy game being run like Dark Age- free rules with releases for all sides
>>
>>51112620

I picked up the Nazier Kickstarter lot basically because it was included free with like 100 bucks worth of batman minis for 60 bucks.

Demons, swordsmen, and fat chicks. Can't say they interest me a whole lot, but maybe I should give the game a try.
>>
>>51112467
Well magic was OK when it was in proportion to the game. Couldn't have Realms Of Chaos without magic. And it has silly in it but it was fun silly

That last edition had massive book with loads of ott magic, what's the first book after release to come out? Not an updated army book, no, no it's fucking Storm of Magic.
>>
>>51112684
I missed the kickstarter, but got the starter set. Before that was released I also picked up someone's Nasier kickstarter set nicely priced as I liked both them and the Wolfen models. The game definitely has the feeling of Confrontation as well as the look, to be expected seeing as they are mostly ex-Rackham staff
>>
>>51112555
>They're just all genderless or male. Deal with it.
never, i need my tits and thighs galore
>>
>>51112265
Imagi-nations don't really belong in /hwg/

And I'm sorry for bringing this back and forth to the thread by mentioning my sjwcuck gaming club getting buttmad at me proposing General Butt Naked vs General Mosquito Spray wargaming, haha.

>>51112374
I miss those days too. 3rd ed had so much good fun to it.

>>51111841
Which is fair. My problem is that, despite having the figures, the rules, table space and terrain, I can't get that lot to even try to play. I literally have everything for several different games, and they won't even try.
>>
File: cmnwok05001_1.jpg (57KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
cmnwok05001_1.jpg
57KB, 500x500px
bros is 56$ good price for pic related?
Contents:
12 War Dancer
2 Dance Master
6 Skirmisher
2 Alpha
1 Scourge Hound
1 Shieldbreaker
Stat Cards
>>
Have the rise of Kickstarted wargames hurt business for FLGS, as it means that people would rather just buy minis directly from manufacturers?
>>
>>51113730
What do the minis look like?
>>
>>51113747
No idea, have no FLGS within 180 km of me.
>>
>>51113771
>http://wrathofkings.com/ks/factions/house-of-goritsi/
not all from the box are shown here but you get the general look, can't really find full gallery
>>
>>51113747
Yes even Mantic have noticed the stores are less inclined to stock due to kickstarter over use. They are still going to use it but modified and supporting stores as well
>>
>>51113730
It's a good set, have you downloaded the rules? Also the cards might have been updated slightly so download those just incase!

Not sure how much they normally rrp at but they rrp £60 and sold at £53.99 at element games so sounds about right
>>
>>51113747
Yeah, it's really exacerbated the issue of online being cheaper. I feel like the smaeternal thing to do would be store partnerships to help the initial kickoff.
>>
Is frostgrave any good?
>>
>>51115119
I'm sure someone always comes on here to ask this blue torch paper question just for fun. I'll get my popcorn to watch this time ;)
>>
>>51115427
What?
>>
>>51115119
>>51115479
Frostgrave seems to trigger some people.

It's a good game if you got a club to play at, some way to set up campaigns with people that don't play WAAC style.

Pickup games are possible of course too, but I think the game's strengths are with campaign play.
It's a lot more like an RPG in a lot of ways than most other skirmish games.
>>
>>51115538
What's WAAC style? Do you have any good recommendations for complex and indepth fantasy skrimish games?
>>
>>51115479
Someone always comes on here asking if frostgrave is good.
Then your get the fans say yes. Then someone who heard it was Mordhiem 2.0 well come in and say it's shit because snowflake. Then there will be post after post of augment and between it all someone will hopefully say it's in the trove if it's your kind of game have a look at it for yourself and have fun with it cause it's a fun little system
>>
>>51115578
Win
At
Any
Cost

Total tools who forget to have fun counts
>>
>>51115578
Win at all costs. As in, they don't care if it makes sense in the context of the background of the game or if it is any fun to play against as long as it gets results.
>>
>>51115607
>>51115633
>>51115655
Thanks, What are some good recommendations for indepth fantasy skirmish and mass battle rules then?
>>
>>51115578
>Do you have any good recommendations for complex and indepth fantasy skrimish games?
I've only heard good things about Malifaux. Though it's more of a Western/Horror kind of deal than strictly fantasy.

Other than that you gotta help me out a bit here with what you mean by complex.
Campaign rules, combat resolution, listbuilding?
Basically what you are looking for in the game.
>>
>>51115692
I don't know, I stopped playing fantasy wargames after G-Dubs killed WF. Now I just stick to alt-history.
>>
>>51115706
I'm looking for something with a lot of tactical depth to it. Depth to the list building is also a bonus. Both smaller skrimish games and larger mass battle games with formations are welcome though I do like individual unit casualties in the mass battle games.
>>
File: gunwalker art.jpg (256KB, 1152x461px) Image search: [Google]
gunwalker art.jpg
256KB, 1152x461px
Working on a game for 6-10mm Sci-Fi battles. Still in the Alpha stage but I'd love it if anyone would give it a look over.

https://ufile.io/9cb6d
>>
>>51115692
Honestly the only mass battles I'd touch would be Kings of War. Rumour is that they might be doing a skirmish have soonâ„¢ and if it's anyway like Deadzone for sci-fi it'll have a OK campaign system

Otherwise complex and indepth aren't really skirmish games I'd point you towards dungeon crawler boardgames for that. Skirmish is more your fun sort of game, well maybe Wrath of Kings and to be fair even the fan version of Confrontation Evo would push those buttons
>>
>>51115739
I'm hesitant to recommend it, cause personally I'm not a fan of it, but maybe Warmachine/Hordes it to your liking.

It's basically Magic:The Gathering with miniatures instead of cards.
Which means if you are unlucky you get your shit pushed in, depending on what your opponent brought to the table.
And page 5 made for a toxic community of sorts, even though it's not in the rulebook anymore.

But it's definitely very tactical and you can play smaller and larger battles with it.
>>
>>51115808
I think Kings of war and the upcoming Rune Wars are the only still in production mass battle games aren't they?
>>
>>51115845
But the game depends a lot on luck?
>>
>>51115968
Most wargames use dice.
Even drawing cards from a deck like Malifaux does involves luck.

Can't think of any games that completely removed the element of chance from gameplay apart from chess and the likes.
>>
>>51115894
I had to look at rune wars, thought it was a boardgame. So kings of war then
>>
>>51116058
That's not what I'm asking. You seemed to imply it relies on luck more than others.
>>
>>51101374
Try Future Commander.
>>
>>51116079
Not him but basically if you lose your man guy it's all over. But he's right all games so have luck, you're ex-warhammer so you know what he means
>>
>>51116206
* Man = main
>>
>>51116206
I know what he means but I'm talking about what he said here: >>51115845
>Which means if you are unlucky you get your shit pushed in, depending on what your opponent brought to the table.
It seems to imply that luck played a much bigger role than in other war games.
>>
>>51115968
All I hear about Warmahordes is that it depends on combos. If your pieces get stopped from taking position, you risk having your enemy combo before you do.
>>
>>51116079
Oh right. Sorry.
In that game you can get into situations - via listbuilding or plain bad luck - where your entire army's effectiveness basically hinges on a single roll of a die.

This is what I meant with the MtG comparison. Some decks are just mean to play against. If you pair that with a community that seems to attract WAAC players...
Dunno, not something I'd like to get into personally. But I'm also not a fan of the minis or the background and had bad personal experience with the players, so I'm entirely biased on that.
>>
>>51116297
It's out of context. He means it's like magic is the sense that if your opponent happens to have a killer deck ( warmahordes netlisted force) and you went with say a a starter deck (a fluff based characterful force) your going to die. This is because Warmahordes is a WAAC game and very toxic to get into if you just want fun
>>
>>51115743

Threw it on Scribd to make it easier to access

https://www.scribd.com/document/336119574/Advanced-Squad-Warfare-V0-3
>>
>>51111716
If you want to have more than 50 models on the table, go for 15mm or smaller and rulesets designed around smaller models.
>>
>>51113534
> Imagi-nations don't really belong in /hwg/

Sure they do.
>>
>>51116387
>>51116393
Ah, okay. Thanks anons. Another other good highly tactical skrimish games that aren't so WAAC?

>>51116500
Don't Imp Gaurd forces have single guard squads that are like 40 models?
>>
>>51116707
Modern 40k would be far more playable at 10mm.
>>
>>51116722
10mm is a bit small but I wouldn't be opposed to a large scale 20mm wargame.
>>
>>51116875
15mm is the sweet spot imo. LOTS of alternative models available for 15mm sci fi.
>>
>>51116906
Nah man, 1/1200 is where it's at.
>>
>>51116967
Fucking boatfags get out reeeeeee
>>
>>51116906
15mm would be acceptable to me as well.
>>
>>51116722
Apparently the new Adeptus Titanicus and hence forth epic will be 8mm just to be ackward bastards
>>
15mm is the new 28mm
>>
>>51117046
What new 15mm wargames have come out?
>>
>>51117046
> cheaper
> faster to paint
> easier to transport
> still detailed (especially on more modern sculpts)
> equally suited to big battles and skirmishes
> good range of manufacturers.

I am ok with this.
>>
>>51117039
Gruntz is a really good 15mm rule system I wish I could get people to play. Use anybody's figures, but GZG amongst others (ion age stuff from 15mm.co.uk) make good 15mm sci-fi goodies
>>
>>51117063
Most 28mm games have a ground scale that is actually closer to 15mm, so you can use 15mm models with a lot of systems with minimal fuss.
>>
File: imortaled.jpg (49KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
imortaled.jpg
49KB, 480x480px
>>51117063
errm...
>>
Are there any popular 15mm games other than Flames?
>>
>>51117366
team yankee, tanks ak-47 republic
>>
Clearhorizonminiatures are making some really nice 15mm sci-fi figures stateside they did a kickstarter as well using a Gruntz lite system and looks like they've done an add-on for Gruntz with their own models, nice
>>
>>51117042
>Inb4 it just makes 8mm popular.
>>
>>51117063
Since you posted that, a dozen new 15mm games have been released.
>>
>>51117835
And about two dozen have died off and vanished into oblivion, never to be heard of again.
>>
>>51117042
GW is re-releasing epic?
>>
File: Wallpaper_AoT_1920x1200.jpg (504KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Wallpaper_AoT_1920x1200.jpg
504KB, 1920x1200px
This is never gonna come out is it?
>>
>>51118008
There's a boxed game called 'Adeptus Titanicus' coming out which will basically be a remake of the old Epic box of the same name.

Whether they do anything at all beyond that remains to be seen.

>>51118053
They've been setback because they switched manufacturers from Prodos. Things seem to be ticking along though.
>>
>>51118071
Oh really? I didn't know that, good to hear that they're still going at it.
>>
>>51108417
alliance has mantic stuff
>>
So what's the difference between the realms of dust and the undead armies in KoW? Are the realms of dust just skeletons only while the undead armies is both skeletons and zombies?
>>
>>51118071
did prodos cck up gain?
>>
>>51118053
>>51118071
Prodos strikes again
>>
>>51117929
Such is the fate of 15mm...
>>
>>51118194
Empire of Dust is basically Tomb Kings.
Undead is mostly Vampire Counts.

EoD is mostly shambling, with some utility spell options Undead doesn't do, more ranged options, more monsters.

Undead is 50/50 shambling, fewer ranged attacks but more shock troops, no big monster units.

They're both mixed bags of options, EG Undead doesn't really do light cavalry, but EoD does. Undead has non-shambling shock troops, but EoD is kind of limited for that. Undead relies heavily on regular surge casters and minor healing, whereas EoD can take mini-surge upgrades and has some caster buffs.

If you want more non-skeleton options at all, then go Undead. Same for stupid builds, like all-werewolves go Undead (actually it's a surprisingly viable list). EoD requires more skill and planning with surge casters, surge caskets, and there's still the pyramid if you can make use of it. If you want bigass monsters, go EoD.
>>
>>51113534
>Imagi-nations don't really belong in /hwg/
Since when? there's a bit of it there, particularly AK47 republic.

>>51113534
>my sjwcuck gaming club getting buttmad at me proposing General Butt Naked vs General Mosquito Spray wargaming, haha.
I've been told that sort of thing actually used to be much more common, the old guard found it distasteful to play games in conflicts within living memory out of respect for the combatants, military wargames besides.
>>
Page 10, I might as well make the new thread
Thread posts: 363
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.