[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 44

Hovercats Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread
>>50900611
>>
I just finished reading Into the Breeding Pits for Frostgrave, and it features alternate table set-up rules for a Dungeon.

I thought that was quite an interesting idea and the only other miniature wargame I can think of that probably does something like this would be Otherworld since it's based on old school D&D.

Some questions spring to mind
>have you tried doing it for FG?
>how does it compare to regular table set-ups?
>do you know any other games that do it?
>what do you use as scenery/tiles for a dungeon set-up?

Using tiles instead of a table with scenery seems a lot more storage friendly to me.
>>
>>50983533
There's a genre of boardgames called dungeon crawler that has perfect terrain for this sort of set-up. Most would be good but Mantic does Dungeon Sage which I believe they do 3d pieces of scatter terrain for the doors etc
>>
>>50983721
I feel silly now.
I just saw that Osprey even has free downloadable dungeon tiles on their homepage.
https://ospreypublishing.com/gaming-resources/#scenery
>>
Has anyone scanned the 2nd ed version of Nexus Psi for Deadzone? I wanted to see the zombie AI before I put down £35 for the set.

Also as there are videos of the new rulebooks for Warpath how long before we get a sneaky firefight upload? It's the one I'm interested in but the release is taking an age and I missed the kickstarter :(
>>
Blimey, I just went to try and buy a copy of the Force on Force rules - only people I can find selling it are putting it up for £60+ - the PDF is $25 for something I'm not even sure if I like yet.
>>
>>50984404
And it's uploaded to /hwg/ with the exception of like three books.
>>
>>50984418
Oh excellent, that solves that problem.

I'm going to print the whole thing off on my office's printer, fuck it.
>>
Hopefully the thread picks up a bit more now that the Holidays are over.
>>
Any of you folks played Saga? I'm reading the rules and it seems pretty straightforward so far. A couple buddies and I are looking to grab something that's easy to play casually when we have our gaming meet-up in a few months. I already play Infinity, but that's pretty rules-heavy and looking at some of the 4 point boxes for Saga it looks like a good size.
>>
>>50985402
/awg/ is the new /hwg/
>>
dead thread
>>
>>50985846
ah well I guess you're right. I saw the Saga pdf on the /awg/ pastebin and I just sort of associate vikings and shit with fantasy at this point
>>
>>50985954
To be fair Saga is not super accurate in historical terms.
>>
Seems to be a little dead at the moment
>>
File: scale.jpg (42KB, 559x299px) Image search: [Google]
scale.jpg
42KB, 559x299px
>>50987281
OK, let's start a conversation then. What scale do people here typically play? I personally enjoy 6mm and 1/1200, as it helps make battles feel far larger than something like 15mm or 28mm.
>>
File: Bryan_Sola_08.jpg (120KB, 600x859px) Image search: [Google]
Bryan_Sola_08.jpg
120KB, 600x859px
Shameless begging for the Ospreys Rogue Stars pdf continues.
It's because I'm a poor bastard and have to invest my gaming money wisely.
>>
File: Heavy_Gear.jpg (1MB, 1155x1476px) Image search: [Google]
Heavy_Gear.jpg
1MB, 1155x1476px
What's the latest on Heavy Gear? I'm looking around on Ebay for the new starter but all I'm seeing is the old metal stuff.
>>
>>50986203
However, /hwg/ really likes it because a) the rules are pretty solid and b) it only needs a small amount of figures. Wouldn't hurt to discuss it here, but we definitely discuss it plenty over there.
>>
>>50987878
28mm, 6mm, boat scales.

Used to be into 15mm, but... I just like big toys, you know? And I'm not doing 15mm AND a larger or smaller scale.
>>
>>50987878
I'm mostly a skirmish gamer and painter so it's 28/32mm for me.

But if it's battlesuits like Battletech then I'll drop to 6mm. I'd like to try gaming in 15mm but it's not something that appeals to local stores
>>
>>50988468
>Used to be into 15mm, but... I just like big toys, you know? And I'm not doing 15mm AND a larger or smaller scale.

Yeah, I definitely get it. The only reason why I have 28mm models is because I like to work on/paint them and have them on display. I never really play 28mm because it's a lot easier to make/transport game boards/terrian for smaller scale games.
>>
>>50988769
>implying you can't put 15mm out as display
>>
>>50988799
I was referring more to the "big toys" part.
>>
>>50987878
I like skirmish games.
28mm to 35mm for me.
>>
>>50987281
This is why generals are bad, conceptually. Only open threads with an actual topic for discussion, or it'll all just be borderline shitposting.

>>50987878
I'm always torn between 15mm and 28mm, since I'm mostly into platoon skirmishing. 15mm has that nice bang for your buck getting a huge battlefield from your regular 4x4 or 6x4 table, but 28mm is just so much better for conversions and individualizing your army.
>>
File: hunter.jpg (56KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
hunter.jpg
56KB, 600x600px
I'm planning to run a new warband for Mordheim, the Witch Hunters. The thing is, I'd like to make it Bloodborne themed - I've found a few miniatures that could work for it (Inquisitor from Avatars of War and a pair of inquisitors from Confronation) but that's not enough. If you have in mind anything that could work for the pic related, please share your thoughts with me.
>>
>>50992224
I think Malifaux got you covered there, especially the Guild. The Death Marshalls, Riflemen, Exorcists and Brutal Effigys would work well I think.
>>
I very rarely get to play, so I've been looking seriously into solo games. Got a load of Deadzone off of kickstarter, and the updated rulebooks. New rules are better but the AI deck for solo doesn't really work! Any ideas? Is Nexus Psi worth getting?
>>
>>50992851
>solo
log your stuff, at least as a short one-line description, maybe mention highlights. it adds a lot. you don't have to go full CAMPAIGN DIARY and name everyone, but just keeping some sort of record you can look back over means you'll be able to look and see what's happened before, for ideas for future stuff.

also try reading various solo wargaming and wargaming campaign books, they can be good, although a lot focus on bigger battles and campaigns.
>>
>>50993022
for deadzone-style skirmish you might prefer looking at solo rpg nerds for ideas. the (ugh) google plus community "lone wolf" is pretty active and has some neat ideas posted, including skirmishes.
>>
>>50993022
Cheers, I'll try the log ideas and look around for more solo stuff. Thanks for the hints
>>
>>50993041
Cheers for your tips too! I looked at the g+, I'm guessing the urgh was because theres a few too many 'lone wolf' groups so I'm not sure which one is good ;)
>>
>>50993307
it's because google plus is a mess.

https://plus.google.com/communities/116965157741523529510

the other major solo community I know is the solowargame yahoo group, which is ancient.

lone warrior's a good mag if you want something to read, it's $10 for a PDF sub.

the most recent solo book I know of is the one from precis intermedia - it's good, heavily focused on campaigning and armies. don't think there are any other notable recent publications.

two hour wargames games are a look for you, especially for their campaign rules, since they're skirmish games and sort of light rpgs.

scarlet heroes (and the rest of sine nomine's games) have a ton of useful stuff for running a game that might be adaptable to your needs.

um, what else. mythic rpg is pretty commonly used - the mythic gm emulator is a neat way of adding some randomness that works well.

also people go wild for rory's story cubes, they own.

but you're mostly looking at sf skirmishes, so. hm. maybe pick up pulp alley if you can find the pirated pdf to have a look? it has a solo expansion that's not necessary at all, and does well for skirmishes that add a lot of flavour. there's someone on LAF using it for 40kish skirmish games - http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=95838.0 is one of their threads. They have a really cool style and aren't afraid to stick some 40k dudes down on generic fantasy terrain and have them fight a necromancer.

but assuming you'll actually be using the deadzone rules... which I don't know, I'd suggest putting together some forces and assigning a leader and a person or two each side a (very basic) personality, or a notable trait or something, that you can use to guide their playstyle. scribble down a basic battle plan for the squad before the turn, someone a bit thick might not be good at changing plans mid-game, a greedy git might decide to loot something when the boss would rather they deal with flanking enemy, etc.

basically just play stuff and have fun?
>>
File: P1030447_zps1tp9qcan.jpg (234KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
P1030447_zps1tp9qcan.jpg
234KB, 640x640px
>>50993581
>http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=95838.0
incidentally, this is worth a look for anyone, just look at the warbands fighting in that game:

an inquisitor and their warband, which includes a rogue eldar, a renegade chaos champion?!, a rogue grey knight, and a rogue dark eldar, accompanied by the local sherrif

a crimson fist squad of space marines

a joker-themed gang

bane, leading some space pirates and a squat

vampirella and assorted undead

that's just a fun as hell looking game in the spirit of rogue trader.
>>
>>50993581
Cheers for the link, and you're not wrong about g+ being a mess!

There for the other info, I'm of to sleep so I'll get a better look tomorrow even if this goes off to the archive. Thanks again
>>
>>50993690
Yes that lot looks fun as well, just had a peek before going off
>>
Did you guys run in to a bout of indecisive when you got into war gaming ? I can't help but want to dip my toes into a bit of everything.
>>
>>50994533
That's why I have 3 games, and am about to buy a fourth.
>>
Hey, guys.

I'm looking for a wargame I might be able to get my brother into. I personally haven't played wargames myself, and though I've always been keen to try, the mainstream ones always seem to find a way to disinterest me.

I'm looking for a game that doesn't handle turns the (from my understanding) usual way of
>Team 1
>Move a unit
>Perform an action with that unit
>Move another unit
>etc

Something ideal would have some sort of phased combat where both sides perform a category of actions before moving on to the next batch of actions. Something like a movement phase, attack phase, etc. I understand that may be a bit particular, so I'm willing to look at other systems as well. My main wish is for battles to play out a little more organically or realistically.

I'm not particular about what genre, either. Worse comes to worse, if I'm not a fan of the setting, I can always fiddle with it and use other miniatures.
>>
>>50994533
It would be stupid not to be indecisive, as you have to really commit yourself to the hobby. After all, you will most likely have to spend hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours just to get into the wargaming.
>>
>>50995025
Oh, and because I know this may affect the answers I get, I'm looking for something that can play at a skirmish scale. Bonus if it can be played at a more intense scale as well, as we accumulate miniatures.
>>
Is adeptus titanicus a fit for /awg/ because I am hype as fuck for it.
>>
>>50995025

Antares, infinity, bolt action are the ones I can think of that fit that bill.
>>
>>50995743
Nope, that's /40k/
>>
File: COA Xenophon Walker.jpg (61KB, 580x450px) Image search: [Google]
COA Xenophon Walker.jpg
61KB, 580x450px
Anyone hype for some new releases for dystopian legions? Pic related is the new covenant walker.
>>
>>50987878
i like 15mm the most, but i have a deep love for 1:285 as well.

i do 28mm because a lot of other gamers do.
>>
File: btgoa.jpg (165KB, 1400x695px) Image search: [Google]
btgoa.jpg
165KB, 1400x695px
Where is the love for this great game? Fantastic minis, good unique ruleset, breddy ok lore, and unique factions.
>>
>>50995884

Shit, alright. Also quick question what is everyone's opinions on back kickstarters here? Generally I'm opposed but I wanted some opinions.

That blood and plunder thing looks interesting but I think it's closed but I thought I'd ask.
>>
>>50998956
>Where is the love for this great game? Fantastic minis, good unique ruleset, breddy ok lore, and unique factions.

I was pretty interested. The first Kickstarter failed spectacularly though and then it took a year to hear anything new at all about the game.
The beta rules were all over the place too.
That put a big dampener on my enthusiasm.
Not to mention that we were promised hard sci-fi and the faction design kinda looks like something from an 80s cartoon.

The miniatures seem to be okay, but Warlord has tiny pictures with mediocre paintjobs on their storepage to advertise them.
The first time I was able to properly see the models was in an ebay auction, cause the guy selling off his stuff made better pictures than the official store has.

I'm still curious about the game. The rulebook costs nearly as much as a GW book though and I'm not willing to commit that much after seeing the beta rules.

Factions may be different from each other, but I don't think the lore is super original.
I only have a vague idea from the beta ruleset though, so my perception might be off.

And to top it all off Warlord does zero marketing outside of their newsletter.

Oh yeah, I was also interested in that cardgame they made as introduction to the lore of the game. The youtube video that supposedly explains the rules is so bad I was pissed off at Warlord again and decided against it.
>>
>>51000093
I would only back a Kickstarter if it is being run by a company that has already released models.
>>
>>50997238
That's not new, that's been around since 2013. They just never released it, nor have they confirmed they will be releasing it.
>>
File: Marvel.jpg (289KB, 1244x794px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel.jpg
289KB, 1244x794px
Does anyone play the Marvel Universe game here? store I game at is starting to stock it. Minis look pretty cool, not sure who I'd play but the Spidey bad guys are pretty tempting.
>>
>>51000093
Kickstarter are pretty risky. A lot of the bigger ones fail. Even ones with limited scope and solid companies behind them run into huge problems.

You really need to research everything before you commit. Ask you self the following:

Is the company reliable?
Is the project to ambitious?
What are you really getting by supporting?
Are you willing to deal with a year of delays?

Everything listed is important. Too big a project and even a vet company will fold. A lot of times you aren't getting very much extra simply not waiting until retail. And nearly every KS gets delayed so there is that as well.

If a company has a shit reputation steer clear as well. If they are an unknown set a spending limit.
>>
>>51001647
This is something I wished I'd seen before I backed Robotech Tactics! I think I plumbed in on the last day, got caught in the hype and didn't look into Palladium Games and found that the only thing they are reliable for is disappointment, delays and mismanagement! Oh and a mindset of the mid-eighties when they were last relevant!
>>
>>51001363
Be prepared for flash and poor moulding; I've had nothing but negative experiences with Knight Models, to the extent that my local club won't play the game based purely on the miniature quality.
Sad really, as most of it can be rectified with a little skill, and it seems a fun game.
>>
>>51000457
Different guy here, but I feel you. I've been really lukewarm towards GoA, but with their new mini-starter pack at 50USD, I thought I'd give it a try. If I don't care for it, I guess I'll just use the models for rogue stars or starport scum, etc.
>>
>>51001363
The larger models like the Hulk are better cast them the little figures, but still needed a lot of greenstuff due to gapzilla. The details are so fine that you can confuse them for mold lines, faces are basic and flat. So yeah not great models, which is a shame
>>
>want to collect figures
>want to play them
>i don't like anything i find
is this how being too picky is?
>>
>>51003021
It depends, what are you finding and why don't you like it?
>>
>>51003021
What do you like? Skirmish, large scale battles, fantasy, sci-fi, horror, cheap, expensive, what?
>>
>>51003044
all the figure games, warhammer, infinity, warmahordes, malifaux etc. nothing speaks to me.
>why don't you like it?
if i only knew, it just doesn't click.
i like sci fi and i like fantasy yet nothing convinces me
>>
>>51003090
Then there's really nothing anybody can help you with.

Just keep look at minis and games until you find something that clicks.

Or maybe you don't really want to paint and game yourself, you just like looking at the painted models?
>>
>>51003124
>Or maybe you don't really want to paint and game yourself
it heavily depends on rules for me, i want to play game not do math
>>
>>51003210
Try not looking at games, and instead considering what sort of figures you want, what sort of table you want to push them around on, and how you might want to do it? Don't get into rules yet, or specifics.

I mean, do you want gleaming battalions of soldiers marching over hills in glorious lines, something focusing on a handful of friends living their lives one scuffle at a time, grav tanks darting in to raid behind enemy lines, dwarves defending a wall against goblin hordes, elves ambushing a dwarf patrol in a forest, a historical thing but it's fantasy instead, a scene from a book you read that inspired you...?
>>
>>51003210
As far as this goes, you can always play something simpler and more fun whatever the official rules say. You can also put down an infinity team on a table fighting a warjack and use some random rules you bought or downloaded that have nothing to do with corvus belli or privateer press.
>>
>>51001337

But anon like two threads ago spartan games confirmed they're coming back to legions in January and updating everything. It's probably going to be the iron clad they release for the covenant.

But yeah you are right it's been around a long time.
>>
Can someone explain to me the warpath factions outside of seemingly space cops and space dorfs.
>>
happy new year.
Question. has anyone here tried TWD All-out-war from Mantic?
>>
>>51003693
> GCPS

Morally-questionable hyper-capitalist human empire run by corporations. They have both regular goons and Enforcers who are mentally conditioned, genetically-enhanced super soldier types.

> Forgefathers

Space Dwarfs with heat weapons and super armour

> Veer-Myn

Space Skaven with chemical weapons and giant drill tanks

> Plague

Kind of like tyranids but with more zombies

> Asterians

Buddhist space elves who use robot proxies to fight

> Marauders

Space orcs that the GCPS trained as shock troops, resulting in inevitable rebellion. Now work as mercs and pirates.
>>
>>51003883

I find it pretty disappointing mantic just goes down the lets pretend its not GW route for all its stuff.
>>
>>51003984
If you read the actual sourcebook (which I think only KS backers have right now) they do have a fair bit more depth and nuance which differentiates them from 40k, but on the surface there are a lot of parallels.

Also bear in mind that mantic's target audience is people who are fed up with GW and want to play a different game, but still use their existing armies.
>>
>>51004056
>mind that mantic's target audience is people who are fed up with GW and want to play a different game, but still use their existing

I haven't read warpaths, I did look at KOW. They have differences, but you look at the army at it is always kind of just not GW. The only real draw to any GW product any more is the lore (which they are doing their best to torpedo). Not having a solid loreof their own that doesn't just feel like a copy make it hard to support Mantics stuff.

And I get it, that is how they are getting popular etc etc. I know it is the right call for them, but that doesn't make it less disappointing for me.
>>
>>51004157
The thing is, especially with Fantasy, GW cast such a wide net and used so many archetypes and tropes that it would be very hard for Kings of War not to be similar.

> Greenskins

GW did it

> Dwarfs

GW did it

> Undead

Yup

> Humans

Both chivalrous AND steampunk

> Elves

GW did it. Three different ways.

The fact remains a large portion, if not the majority of the Kings of War playerbase are in it purely for the rules. Lore is interchangeable, since it's generic fantasy you can use models from almost any range and have your headcanon be basically whatever you want.

Mantic realise this which is why they've not really done much at all to develop the background, because what would be the point?
>>
>>51003651

I know anon, I was the one who posted the stuff confirming it. I'm just sayung we don't know if they are releasing that model, or something new.
>>
>>51004261

Fair enough, I apologize anon.
>>
>>51004221

You are correct. I am just whining.
>>
>>51004221
Tbh GW stole all of those from one source or another as well.
>>
>>51004989
It clonks my bongles when people say 'stole' like that.
GW obviously drew their inspiration from somewhere else, 40k literally came to be as a set of sci-fi rules for their miniature catalog, some of those produced under license.

Though they managed to develop on of the most interesting and popular IP out of that potpourri.

If Mantic makes a game, similar to another game it's not the same 'creative achievement' as creating that entire world in the first place.

I wish people would differentiate between plagiarism and inspiration more.
>>
>>51005118
This crap refreshed itself and ate my reply, but what bears any kind of originality? Tilea is Spain, The Empire is Holy Roman Empire, Bretonnia is France/England, Nippon is Japan, Cathay is China, Araby is...Araby, Lizardmen are Aztecs but dinosaurs, Beasts of Chaos and Skaven are antropomorphic animals, Warriors of Chaos are vikings mostly from the perspective of Christian monks and so forth. No faction is original in any kind of way.

Most interesting and popular...and they fucked it up as they went along the way, so way to go Geedubs.

The game's not that similar - big blocks of fighters and basically that's about it. Also, game!=fluff.

If you wish people to differentiate between the two, don't praise the ones plagiarising.
>>
>>51005275
I was talking about 40k, not WHFB, even so the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

Rick Priestley wrote a great book with Rogue Trader. That is what I am saying.
That the game is the most interesting to most people and therefore popular is self evident by virtue of being the biggest non-historical game on the market.

I get the bitterness, but I think you are missing my point. I'm not praising the company or what has been done with the IP in recent years. I'm saying the inception of a setting that can make literally any popculture, literary or historical reference work was quite impressive.

And if you think that is what plagiarism is then you are mistaken.
>>
>>51005720
>biggest non-historical game on the market.
I thought X-Wing had replaced 40k at this point.
>>
>>51005781
Good point. I know it's extremely successful, not sure if it's bigger than 40k already.
Though it's a bit of a different animal imo. First of all it comes with a franchise like Star Wars attached and does not involve the same amount of miniature related hindrances to get into it, since the models come prepainted and assembled. It also uses kind of a trading card game marketing scheme with the expansions and the equipment cards.

I mean there is another variant of the game for dragons set in D&D and another set in Star Trek, but I've never heard anybody actually playing those games.
Kind of makes you wonder how much of the success of the game is due to the Star Wars label attached to it.

If it had it's own original setting, or one derivative of Star Wars instead of actually being Star Wars the comparison would be more accurate I think. As the argument was about originality of the lore of Mantic vs GW games I don't think there is much of a connection here.
>>
>>51006013

X-wing came out first that. The other two versions are done by Wizkids and just shoe horning the system into those IPs. It certainly doesn't translate anywhere near as well there and essential it is the IP the sells the game in those systems.

With X-Wing it is different, the game initial buzz came out from Fantasy Flight popularity. It tends to attract both standard mini gamers (because it is easy to just throw some money down, play quick games and the rules are fucking great) and new players because it is prepainted uses color ful cards and is easy to learn. in for the reasons you mentions. You just add in to it that it is Star Wars and no wonder it is more popular than 40k. It was an establish and known solid game for a around a year and then fucking Ep 7 hit and the game became even more of a gold mine.

However, the thing to say is I don't think it is taking away the a good chunk of their sales. Most people that to play it seem to still play other wargames. Its low over head and easy rules just make it the perfect side game.
>>
>>51006946
Wow I really failed to write a simple paragraph there. Time to step away from the keyboard for a bit.
>>
>>51006946
Wish they'd do a standard SW wargame at some point in 15mm or something where you can model walkers without looking silly. I have no idea why noone made it so far, the universe lends itself for such things pretty well.
>>
What do you guys think of the runewars game coming out? Look a little interesting.
>>
File: 4jvl94.jpg (234KB, 1200x533px) Image search: [Google]
4jvl94.jpg
234KB, 1200x533px
>>51007031
there will never be a good big battle starwars game to recreate hoth with
>>
You have to feel bad for the people behind GoA, they seem to have massively misjudged what most people want.
>>
>>51008840

Why you say that anon?
>>
>>51008862
This is bait, I repeat, this is bait, get to your battlestations.

Also: six fucking captchas but doesn't let me post. What the fuck.
>>
>>51008917

As the dude you're responding to it took me about four to post that. Fucking jap moot.

Also for antares is it just no one wants another 28mm wargame?
>>
>>51003883
The Plague is more like the Necromorphs from Dead Space, really.
>>
>>51008862
Because there is basically zero interest despite how hard Warlord is pushing it.

It seems like a game without a real niche.
>>
>>51008987
Everyone wants another 28mm wargame, it's just that you really need something to pull one over the sheer nostalgia and sunk cost fallacy that 40k evokes.
>>
>>51001363
The game is pretty primitive, and there's a major lack of options.
>>
>>51009475
isn't there market satuation of 28mm skirmish game now?
>>
>>51009582
Skirmish, maybe, but isn't Antares more about 30 to 40 models per side?
>>
>>51007760
I am very hyped,rules sound nice and i absolutely love the miniatures.
>>
>>51010389

I think we agree on everything anon I think I'm just gonna wait for more factions to drop.
>>
Anyone know anything about all quiet on the martian front?

Cool minis.
>>
>>50998956
>Fantastic minis
some people will disagree with you. Besides the characters most of the models have no real defining features
>unique ruleset
bolt action in space , rules also cost a arm and a leg
>lore
the lore is unique yeah but really too cheesy to go for the hard sci-fi approach that they're looking for.
>unique factions
I can give you that
>>
>>51012414

>some people will disagree with you. Besides the characters most of the models have no real defining features
Ehh too me they all look ok and different enough. The algoryn have a tau vibe with the muzzle breaks on some of their weapons.
>bolt action in space , rules also cost a arm and a leg
So? I'll take bolt action in space with a more in depth rule system. Got them on the cheap off ebay so I wouldn't know.
>the lore is unique yeah but really too cheesy to go for the hard sci-fi approach that they're looking for.
Ehh I meant I'm more fine with setting. Didn't know they were going for a hard sci-fi approach at all. If they were trying to do that they failed miserably.
>>
>>51012081
I had read somewhere that the company behind it screwed the pooch and it failed pretty hard. Not sure if that means its a dead game or not though.

>>51012414

I am a bolt action fan that prefers sci fi stuff. I have yet to see anything that really draws me into GoA. Its hard to put your figure on it, but the game really just looks and feels bland. When you look at BA its fine, all the factions are basically the same because they are historical. There are still plenty of subtle differences to enjoy. With GoA I don't see anything really special rules wise, models wise, or story wise.

The bigger problem though is there are far too many other games that hit the mark better for me than GoA does. I like Dropzone fluff and story that is more grounded in realism with its sci-fi. I like Infinity fun fluff t and original combat system. There are plenty of other games out there as well so it just how is GoA standing out?
>>
>>51013063

>I had read somewhere that the company behind it screwed the pooch and it failed pretty hard. Not sure if that means its a dead game or not though.

That's a shame to hear. The model line is fucking amazing if not cartoony looking.
>>
>>51013063
>The bigger problem though is there are far too many other games that hit the mark better for me than GoA does
Just recently I read the campaign setting for Tomorrow's War.
That's some really great hard sci-fi writing.

When I read what the Gates of Antares were I was like, 'oh, so they are like Eldar webway portals... ok'. And for all the factions being human they look like a parade of 90s tv show rubber forehead aliens.
Think it would have been more interesting just to give people different uniforms and tech levels/weaponry instead.
>>
>>51013183
I just went and looked it up, and it turns out the game is now being developed by another company, and it is still producing models.
>>
>>51013270
Never heard of tomorrow's war. Is there a summary somewhere?
>>
>>51013621

It's a book series I believe anon. Hear nothin but good things about it.

>>51013315

Fuckin sweet anon. Can I get your opinion on it too anon.
>>
>>51013621
It's a game by ambush alley that came out in 2011 published by Osprey.
The rules are generic, but it comes with the developer's campaign setting.

Don't know if it's based of something else, but it's very well written.
You have everything in there to do all kinds of armies from 3rd world insurgents, to remote operated combat drones or guys in power armor.
But it lays out the politics of the setting and the philosophical differences of each nation very nicely.
>>
Does anyone have Frostgrave Into the Breeding Pits and/or Forgotten Pacts pdfs?
>>
>>51014430
Don't have the pdfs, but just read both books.

Anything in particular you'd like to know?

Getting the books is worth it for the price and the game really deserves to be supported imo.
>>
>>51013779
I can't say that I am too fond of it, but that is mostly due to the fact that I like there to be a variety of factions in a wargame, not just two.
>>
>>51014488

My plan was to eventually buy them when there's some sort of compendium. I have Thaw of the Lich Lord and while I agree its a developer I'd like to support, I'm still only dabbling at the moment. plus I have jury duty tomorrow and want something to read while I wait
>>
>>51014488

>the game really deserves to be supported imo.

Not being a twat, but why do you feel this way? I keep hearing conflicting things about what exactly frostgrave manages to do. I thought it was a fairly solid 1v1 mordheim-esque experience with a lot of fun going into making terrain and choosing the options for your warband. Then I'm told that's the wrong mindset for it, and you should approach it like...some sort of narrative campaign? That always sounded like an age of sigmar excuse for bad design. "It's not about balance, it's all about the story!". Well if that's the case then I'll pass on it.
>>
>>51013063
Its less it screwed the pooch, more it didn't budget itself efficiently enough and didn't garner enough interest post KS.
>>
Anyone else check out the alpha rules for Jovian Wars? Looks pretty interesting, although the dice system seems a bit weird.
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 500x347px
Anyone played relic knights? I'm not usually a fan of the animoo aesthetic but the gameplay sounds like it could be really fun. Apparently it's a diceless system but I have no idea how it works other than there's stat cards involved. Anyone have any experience?
>>
>>50983052
So, i've still got about 200$ worth of Christmas money to spend, and im looking to start a new army. Any ideas? Im literally open to any faction, for any game, in any setting, so long as it looks cool to me.
>>
>>51016793
I've never played it but can say the human sculpts are fucking garbage with the worst faces I've seen in minis for ages, some fucking terrible poses and a lot of detail so shallow painting them is a chore.

I've not heard good things about the game except from one guy down my LGS who tells everyone it's the BEST EVAR but then again he also has an army of female space marines he uses for Horus Heresy games.
>>
>>51016793
I played it for a while with my brother when it came out, but since he moved away, I've not found anyone else nearby who is particularly interested in it. The game itself was quite a lot of fun to play; fast stuff felt fast, deployment and positioning of models mattered, the activation system (and ways in which things could fuck about with it) was interesting, and the goofy over-the-top models meant we didn't really take it too seriously.

It has problems; you're going to be referring to the cards for what models can do rather often, the card mechanics mean you can spend a fair bit of time trying to build up great attacks (which, I suppose, fits in with the whole anime-wargame thing, as spending time charging up and screaming before unleashing an ultimate attack appears to be something of a staple) and the Relic Knights themselves can be a frustratingly tough nut to crack.
>>
>>51016793
I really like the game, but no one in my area plays. The system has some wonky bits, but the feel is what they wanted it to be. Smaller scale, you get to use your fun stuff a lot, a combat mechanic that is a little more tactical than "I need to roll high." I own four out of six factions.
>>
>>51018265
I think I'm going to grab a couple of the faction starters. They're not terribly expensive and having the mini rule book included is a good value. Any info on what the different factions are like?
>>
>>50983052
Are there rules around for Pulp City?
>>
>>51018298
Red - Demons - They are Big. They hit hard. There's more depth to the faction than that, but even the more tricksy builds will still have that element.

Orange - Pirates - They are between Chaos and Intellect and, especially if you play Kate, that means random. Good ranged options. The basic dudes are useful as a tarpit. I found them hard to win with though,

Yellow - Magic guys - Interesting options. Probably the hardest to start with, but they can reward a creative player.

Green - Racer - It's all about speed. At full power, the princess can move the full board in a turn. Good at winning the scenarios with decent combat options. I wasn't interested in their look so I passed.

Blue - Knights - Combat focused on the defensive side. I'm the least familiar with how they play.

Purple - Mercs - Balanced Military focus. Favorite faction to play. The little tank robot they get is amazing for the points.
>>
>>51018318
My bad, it was on their download page.
>>
>>51018398
You're the best, Senpai. Probably going with the black diamond dogs and making an animoo operator force. Anyone have a good figure that could be done up as big boss for a proxy?
>>
>>51002163
>>51002405
Ah cool thanks guys I'll keep that in mind. I ended up grabbing a Spider-man and Green Goblin. Both models were good casts with the exception of Spider-man's base.

>>51009556
I had a demo and had fun, it kind of felt like a more skirmish orientated Warmachine.

My models also came with cards for a different game it looks like. Spider-man Miniatures Game?
>>
>>51018468
It ended up being canceled. It would have been like the Batman game.
>>
>>51018464
http://sodapopminiatures.com/relic-knights/black-diamond/csm-alex-117

It would take more work (Definitely need another head), but if you could convert http://sodapopminiatures.com/relic-knights/black-diamond/codebreaker-questing-knight You could have him be your questing knight.
>>
>>50995025
Warhammer
>>
>>51016793

A friend of mine was really into it, so I found a guy online selling a lot that included a bunch of Noh as well as some black diamond and corsair stuff for a really good price so I jumped at it.

Absolutely hated the system. CC felt weak, the rotating bench activation system felt awkward, and so on and so forth. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of minis that nobody wants to buy from me, just taking up space. I like the Nog designs still, so I don't mind keeping them.
>>
>>51015676
>but why do you feel this way?
Because I like it obviously.

I can't make up your mind for you, just read the main rulebook. You can find that in the OP.
No need to rely on second hand information.
>>
>>51017652
If I had some extra cash lying around I'd buy a bunch of rulebooks, cause I'm autistic enough to actually enjoy reading the rules.

That way you also get a pretty good idea on what system does and if it might be fun to you.

Do you have any special interests? Sci-fi or Fantasy?
>>
>>51019117
>If I had some extra cash lying around I'd buy a bunch of rulebooks, cause I'm autistic enough to actually enjoy reading the rules.
Heh, I have some books for this reason on my shelf. Void, Warzone 2nd ed, Secrets of the Third Reich...not sure which of those I'll play in the foreseeable future.
>>
>>51019126
How is Secrets of the Third Reich? I'm still a fan of the same company's Empire of the Dead, even if West Wind killed it with kickstarter and neglect.
>>
>>51019617
Haven't played it so far, only started reading the rulebook, but it seems like standard WW2 rules with some weird shit. What I really like is the unlimited range for most weapons (as the table is smaller than the effective range of most small arms of WW2), and the presentation is to-notch. They could/should hire some better artists for the illustrations, and the books themselves are a wee bit bigger than A/4, but it's not that big of a problem.

I'll try to obtain two starters at least this year, as I like the figures as well.
>>
I've just gone nuts ordering 10mm/N scale terrain for Heavy Gear. Adobe houses, Mos Eisley style buildings, roads etc.

And yet it's not enough, I can't stop thinking of new ideas. I'm building a small town, so why not get cars for the roads? Some military trucks and jeeps for the supply depot I'll have? And then I see 10mm rock formations with tents, and I want to make a small terrist camp too.

Also the vehicles I am looking at are all 60s-80s British stuff so Terra Nova rapidly becomes some desert-set Falklands conflict
>>
File: dystopian-wars-french-fleet.jpg (270KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
dystopian-wars-french-fleet.jpg
270KB, 1200x800px
>>51017652
For $200 you could buy two fairly complete Dystopian Wars forces if large scale naval/air combat is.your thing. But if you do buy stuff, you should definitely do it off eBay as you can buy new stuff on auction for a lot cheaper.
>>
>>50995025
Chain Reaction System by Two Hour Wargames?
>>
>>51016793

Worst rule set I've ever played.

The entire game is just a tedious slog.
>>
There was a Mech wargame that was set in an alternative WW2 timeline where WW2 was fought with mechs. Does anyone remember what it was called?
>>
>>51020547
do you mean dust?
>>
>>51020547
Konflict 47
>>
>>51020547
Gear Krieg maybe? it's basically all the alt WW2 games.

>>51016793
It's a flawed but interesting departure from the miniwargame norm. Some sculpts weren't bad others were pretty crap. Their material was super shit, it's apparently "better" however.
>>
>>51020725
>>51020779
>>51020868
I think it was dust but I'm definitely going to check out the others too. Thanks anons.
>>
>>51020725
>>51020779
I can't decide if Konflict '47 or Dust Tactics has cooler miniatures.
>>
>>51021320
Dust Warfare I should say actually.
>>
>>51021320
>>51021412
Depends on whether you like people shaped mechs or tank mechs
>>
File: DT028z.jpg (63KB, 690x463px) Image search: [Google]
DT028z.jpg
63KB, 690x463px
>>51021320
I'm gonna go with Dust for having the best walkers and interesting hero units, especially the German ones.

Like, c'mon man, you look at that guy in the middle and tell me he doesn't remind you of Psycho Mantis.
>>
>>51021828
>>51022493
How does the game play compare between the two?
>>
>>51022822
Checked.

I can't speak on Konflikt '47 and my experience with Dust has been the grid based game which I thought was all right if a bit simplistic. I'd say if you wanted to check out the rules then grab yourself a copy of the Dust: Warfare rulebook since that's what a lot of people seemed to enjoy the most and it's still being supported with fan made faction unit cards.

There's talk of a another Dust rulebook coming out but I'd be wary, what with the whole...complicated history Dust and it's creator have with other companies.
>>
>>51023135
What's the difference between the dust 1947 rulebook and the warfare rulebook?
>>
>>51014377
>Don't know if it's based of something else, but it's very well written

Tomorrow's war is full of great ideas, but it's written and laid out like a pile of garbage.
>>
>>51022822
Konflict 47 is Bolt Action with super science.
>>
>>51023258
The 1947 book has rules for playing the game on a grid and playing as a traditional wargame, so you're kinda getting two games for the price of one.

The Warfare rulebook is just a a standard, traditional wargame with pretty decent rules and units.

Hell, I'd say it's the reason they put those rules in the 1947 book because that's what people want.
>>
File: pilp city twilight-1000x563.jpg (69KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
pilp city twilight-1000x563.jpg
69KB, 1000x563px
>>50983052
>>51018318
Has anybody actually played the game?
I just realized that it has a huge range of minis, that seem to be all pretty decent quality, but I don't think I ever heard anybody discuss the game.
>>
>>51023847
I've never played bolt action.
>>
>>51025710
To sum up bolt action in a few words:

Take 40k remove all the bloat and stream line the rules. Alter the combat so less focus on killing units and more focus on making them harder to activate. Add in a pick a dice from a bag activation system instead of you go I go.

The result is a significantly better game. It does have some problems, but it is a lot of fun.
>>
Looks like it's about to die bump
>>
>>51022493
>guy

That's a cute girl, anon
>>
Surely somebody has a Rogue Stars pdf by now?
>>
It's fucking beautiful.
>>
>>51029945
Now that's a land ship.
>>
>>51029945
Shame that game is expensive as fuck and seems pretty ded.
>>
>>51030020

Yeah it's expensive... but anon think of fun times we could have in making the game live!
>>
>>51019080

You could certainly do a better job selling the game anon. So is it like I said? Not remotely balanced at all and requires that you and your friends not play seriously in the slightest?

>No need to rely on second hand information

Except I want to know what you have to say about it.
>>
>>51030199
Anon pls I have so many projects already don't do this to me
>>
>>51029945

>Finance a giant death wagon
>Give it exposed treads

I guess the idea is when, and not if, it breaks down it becomes an outpost.
>>
File: german-ww1-a7v-tank.jpg (145KB, 650x398px) Image search: [Google]
german-ww1-a7v-tank.jpg
145KB, 650x398px
>>51030236
It's based on WWI tech, when EVERYTHING had giant, exposed treads.

Well, except the A7V I guess, which was probably the one sensible design decision made regarding that tank.
>>
>>51029945
Why are the human models so glorious but the aliens are just kinda meh?
>>
>>51030227

Anon pls join me.

Do it in due to time but help me make it live!

>>51030368

Aliens are getting more models in the future like the overseer but yeah you're right. The human models fucking rule.
>>
File: DW.png (1MB, 660x786px) Image search: [Google]
DW.png
1MB, 660x786px
>>51030199
I'm too busy already trying to revive a dead game.
>>
Anyone here could help a fellow (south american) to find a box of Guild Ball The Kick off or The Walking Dead All out war (there's Spanish version for those who don't know)?
>>
>>51030449

Fuck alrgiht your game is pretty noble. January right anon?
>>
>>51030876
Hopefully. Can't say I'm that hopeful though.
>>
>>51030020

Honestly I know that they wanted to make a miniatures game but honestly I think it'd make a better RPG. The background Martian War 2 in the book is pretty neat.
>>
>>51032065

Ehh I don't know anon. I think they could go hand in hand.

Anyway would anyone be interested in me gettin a set or couple models and doin a quick review of em' on here?
>>
File: starter-game.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
starter-game.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
>>51032230
If you're really set on getting into the game, and want to maybe generate some interest, you should probably get the starter set, put together and paint the models, and play a few games with it.
>>
>>51032693
I mean, I am indeed a bit interested in the game, but like I said before most of my funds are tied in in Dystopian Wars/Legions. Maybe in a year or so I'll get that starter set, but for now that's not really in the budget for me.
>>
File: THUNDERCHILD.jpg (151KB, 560x725px) Image search: [Google]
THUNDERCHILD.jpg
151KB, 560x725px
>>51032724

Well lets hope the two good ol' boys that run this game are still around. I really fucking hope the thunderchild comes out for the BEF.

>>51032693

Hope I can swindle my friend into playing it with me.
>>
>>51032821
Well if they ever do decide to close up shop I'll be sure to pick up some models beforehand.
>>
So I'm curious: if you folks could bring back one dead game(and I mean lagit dead not the "herp derp nobody around me plays it so ded game is ded" bullshit that we usually see around /tg/) what would it be? Obvioualy changes could be made, so it's not a straigjt revive with same flaws thing.

For me it'd be AT-43. Loved the fuck out of that game, and the setting was pretty sweet.
>>
>>51033653

Same AT-43 was pretty fuckin sweet aesthetic wise for me.
>>
>>51033653
By extension I would say Confrontation. Wrath of Kings just doesn't do the style as well, and having a more standard fantasy setting (Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, and all that) is just easier to grasp.
>>
>>51029253
Mate, I don't even have the hardcopy I ordered for half price off amazon the other week.

>>51029945
yes this is good tank
>>
>>51033653
At-43 also, but with a better design team. There was some bad power creep in the game's death throes.
>>
>>51033653
Let's see, I don't know if it counts but Ronin. I consider it dead because the author has no plans to return to the system despite having made a better version in a new setting/era (En Garde!).
Ronin could really use some love from its creator.
>>
File: karmans-army.jpg (186KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
karmans-army.jpg
186KB, 1024x684px
>>51033741
I just want my Space Gorillas back.
>>
>>51035716
I wonder who has the rights to AT-43 currently.
>>
File: foundry 2000ad nort trooper.png (170KB, 750x493px) Image search: [Google]
foundry 2000ad nort trooper.png
170KB, 750x493px
>>
>>51033653
Warhammer Fantasy.
>>
File: Vaclav.jpg (33KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Vaclav.jpg
33KB, 960x720px
Started work on my warband for This is Not a Test. 4 built so far, 3 to go but still waiting on bits.

1/4 Vaclav, the leader.
>>
File: Bogdan.jpg (32KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bogdan.jpg
32KB, 960x720px
>>51038164

2/4 Bodan, designated Shotgun guy.
>>
File: Oleg.jpg (28KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Oleg.jpg
28KB, 960x720px
>>51038170

3/4 Oleg, big dumb shit kicker.
>>
File: Vlad.jpg (36KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Vlad.jpg
36KB, 960x720px
>>51038178

4/4 Vlad, pew-pew.
>>
File: Robot.jpg (46KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Robot.jpg
46KB, 960x720px
>>51038193

BONUS ROUND

A robot from Maelstrom's Edge that technically isn't part of the warband but will turn up as a hired gun every now and again.
>>
>>51033653
Helldorado deserved better.
>>
>>51035716

One of the most unique factions I've seen in a wargame IMO.

I really want AT-43's post humans back.
>>
>>51033653

AT-43 was really neat with cool factions.

One of the few games I've played with automatic success and failure to which I thought was cool.
>>
Anyone ever gave bushido a spin? What did you think about it?
>>
>>50988014
DP9 hasn't done any real distribution with their new sets, so if someone isn't selling one on ebay, you'll have to buy direct. Don't overlook the old boxes though, they might not contain the right rules, or a legal unit, but just about every unit has made the edition transition in some way, so you'll have a use for the models no matter what.
>>
>>51035716
You could play Overwatch, they have a Space Gorilla shamelessly ripped off of the Karmans.

>>51035770
I've been wondering that myself for a few years. Someone allegedly had them and was going to bring the game back, but never heard anything after.

>>51038649
The rules look pretty cool. The table based combat is certainly its weakest point, but otherwise it looks like a solid game with some cool mechanics.
>>
File: pulp city Guerilla-1000x563.jpg (61KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
pulp city Guerilla-1000x563.jpg
61KB, 1000x563px
>>51035716
>>51039130
To be fair, armed gorillas are not exactly a very original concept.
>>
What's the cheapest place to buy Dust minis? I'm apparently a retard that can't Ebay search properly.
>>
>>51039426
They've even had them in Judge Dredd comics
>>
File: BFMD201.jpg (71KB, 690x486px) Image search: [Google]
BFMD201.jpg
71KB, 690x486px
>>51039687
I'm on Ebay right now and there's a bunch of Axis starter armies for $50-$60 Americabucks.

I also noticed that pic related is damn near impossible to find but you can easily find the American and Russian starters for pretty cheap.

A testament to how popular the German walkers are.

Other than that, I don't know, I've done some looking and no one is carrying Dust stuff. That's also testament to how badly Paolo Parente pissed people off.
>>
File: monkies_col.jpg (367KB, 600x647px) Image search: [Google]
monkies_col.jpg
367KB, 600x647px
>>
>>51033653
>>51038311
In terms of actually dead games definitely this. Vor is probably a close 2nd.
>>
>>51040216
>dat shield
Gotta love Ramshakle Curtis

Anybody have any favorite Golem/Earth Elemental models?
>>
Is Gear Krieg dead?
>>
>>51041022
Yes
>>
>>51041068

How was it? The walkers tickled my fancy, but I know nothing about DP9's games, really.
>>
Anyone ordered from Pig Iron Productions and know what size heads fit them best?

The heads look fairly proportionate to the body but OTOH "heroic" now means everything from 35mm scale to GW's potato men.
>>
File: IMG_20170105_154307.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170105_154307.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Just got my Dystopian Legions Starter Set.
>>
File: IMG_20170105_154617.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170105_154617.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
>>51042161
Only cost me $30 for it, which is pretty nice consider it used to be $67.49.
>>
File: IMG_20170105_155449.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170105_155449.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>51042264
The models all look to be in good shape, although the model in pic related has a pretty janky sword. Might want to just replace it with something a little more sturdy.
>>
>>51042317
But anon, that's obviously a corner-sword.
>>
>>51042406
Well considering it's supposed to look like the model on the right...
>>
>>51042317
Can't you just bend it back in place?
>>
>>51042763
Bending that much might weaken the sword to the point where it snaps.
>>
>>51042813
Which is why I was considering just replacing it outright.
>>
>>51041471

IIRC they are just a touch smaller than GW guardsman heads.
>>
>>50983533
Sobh has an expansion for dungeon fights. Also alot of old school dungeon crawlers are basically simple wargames.
>>
>>51042317

Oh wow. Great job there spartan.
>>
>>51044282
Yeah, its a bit weird that all of the other swords are their own separate pieces except to that one.
>>
>>51044282

That cast looks pretty bad
>>
>>51044729
I'd blame that more on my shit camera.
>>
>>51039426
True, but his design is basically a Karman. The armor looks super similar, the bubble helmet. It all just seems a bit too similar for me to not be suspicious.
>>
File: Puppets-War-Sneak-Peek.jpg (161KB, 1257x906px) Image search: [Google]
Puppets-War-Sneak-Peek.jpg
161KB, 1257x906px
Some neat concept art out of Puppetswar.

I like that it's fairly original, doesn't immediately remind me of anything.
>>
>>51044672

Don't know enough about molding. Probably done that way for some reason.

Looks like a fluke I'd message spartan if I were him and see if I can't get a replacement.
>>
>>51045702
Eh, I doubt I'd get one considering I didn't buy it from them and they stopped making the starter sets years ago.
>>
>>51045872

I'd try anyway anon. Won't know if you don't try.
>>
File: box-dt-core-set-revised-left.png (299KB, 400x451px) Image search: [Google]
box-dt-core-set-revised-left.png
299KB, 400x451px
I'm new to wargaming and I want to get into Dust now that I've got a good job. Since i can't get the core set anymore, can anyone recommend me on what to get so that my brother and i can play a decent game?
>>
>>51045686
Tau stealth suits, big guy on the right reminds me of hunters off of halo. Jetbikes remind me of mantic enforcer jetbikes and dark eldar at the same time to name a few things that jumped out straight away. Even the four prong guy on the left reminds me of dirz models from confrontation
>>
>>51046994
>Since i can't get the core set anymore
I just went to ebay and found a number of people selling both edition core sets for $100 or less.
>>
>>51047071
Also, be sure to read up on the games publishing history before deciding to get into it.
>>
>>51047071
Yeah I did see those, but I think I'd rather buy a couple new boxes of models than buy a used core set from ebay if I can. I mean couldn't I just get a couple squads and medium walker for both of us and be able to play a reasonable game?
>>
>>51045686

Looks like geth mixed with some covenant. Still pretty neat though.
>>
>>51047164
I heard it was a shitshow, but I just read up on it. 6 different rulesets with 3 different publishing companies. Yikes. Still, I want to get into it. I just love the look of the mechs and units.
>>
Uhhh... Excuse me, Gentlemen, but it seems that the link for the Dark Ospreys doesn't work.
>>
>>51047175
Probably, I don't actually play the game. But there are a lot of $50-60 starter sets on ebay that have a squad plus a walker.
>>51047372
I know the feel anon, as I too play games that are run by incompetent companies. If you just want it for the models then yeah you could ignore a lot of the crap that comes with the game.
>>
Goddamn Fantasy Flights new Rune Wars miniatures game looks fucking amazing.

Can't wait to see the other factions they add and the additional units. Glad we have another competitor to kings of war entering the field as well.
>>
File: bfmdt078.jpg (61KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bfmdt078.jpg
61KB, 500x500px
>>51047705
I was thinking i could get little packs like this:
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/bfmdt078.html

or

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgdt034.html

they come with a bunch of dudes and its really cheap. Only thing is I think its not from the current ruleset which is why its so cheap. I don't know how compatible they are with older rulesets or how easy it would be to convert. Are there any Dust players that can chime in on this?
>>
>>51048213
You'd probably just be better off using an entirely different rule system.
>>
>>51047914
Those do look pretty great. Much better than mantics stuff.

What scale is that?
>>
>>51047914
Dunno about amazing, but I am going to pick a set up. At worst, some minis to use for other games, at best, a nice my-first-wargame to teach friends.
>>
>>51047914
the skeltons look great. the humans look like wow garbage
>>
>>50987878
I have a problem. I really can't find myself getting into a game below 25mm at least. I just feel so disconnected with what's going on when it's small scale. On top of that I feel painting 25+ feels more personal to my work. Small scale painting i just find really bland.

So I prefer 25mm or bigger. The only exceptions for me are like Heavy Gear or Battletech, where mechs would be too big in that scale.
>>
>>51004221
>The fact remains a large portion, if not the majority of the Kings of War playerbase are in it purely for the rules
And this is one of the reasons I won't even give KoW any serious consideration. People sure as hell aren't in it for the minis. And the lore is so negligible it's not even funny.
>>
>>51049220
>game has good enough rules for this alone to be the draw
>somehow this is a bad thing
>>
>>51049038
See, I have a problem with any scale above 15mm as I feel that most games of a larger size do a terrible job of portraying large scale battles, and are therefore very unrealistic.
>>
>>51038234
Ooh i like that robot a lot. I didnt realize maelstroms edge is plastics. Ill have to give their range another look
>>
>>51049350
It is. For me, getting into a game needs at least 2 of the 3 draws for me.

>setting and lore
>rules, including balance and uniqueness and fun factor
>model range and hobby aspect.

KoW has only one of those, if that. I really find it only has a balance aspect. The game is just kindof bland. To me it took the worst things out of whfb and made a game of it. So not even the rules are a big draw for me, but it is for others. However mantic's model range is laughable and the setting of 'mantica' (yeah, real nice) is so very negligible.
>>
>>51048595

I think 32mm don't quote me on it though.

>>51048697

Lets compromise on good then? I mainly just want a simple fantasy game from a good company.

>>51048725

Ehh I'm ok with the humans. You are right about the undead though they look great.

Also anyone here know the other runewars races? It's just Orcs, Elves, and dwarves right?
>>
>>51049638
Personally I've never liked games with set lore and backgrounds. I prefer to write my own backgrounds, tell my own stories through play, and having to do that within someone else's world just seems stifling.
>>
>>51049638
>took the worst parts of WHFB and made a game out of it
But the magic isn't a broken mess of bullshit, there's no random charges, combats don't take 40 minutes each. Seems like they cut the bullshit from WHFB.

>>51049726
Orcs, Dwarfs, Elves, Uthuk Y'llan and I believe some dragon people if I recall the lore right. Might be a few other minor races here or there.
>>
>>51050076
The Uthuk? What are those?
>>
>>51048213
Current ruleset be fucking damned, If you want in on Dust then get your hands on the Dust:Warfare rule book from Fantasy Flight Games. I think you can pick up a copy for like $25-$30 bucks now?

Get onnit son.
>>
>>51050312
Weird Berserker type dudes. Spiky and evil. Not much fluff to go on that I know of. They were on the Runewars boardgame and I think in Battlelore.
>>
>>51008312
Use Dirtside II or Future Commander
>>
>>51050367
Turns out a gameshop close to me had the revised core set. Is there a difference between the revised edition and Dust:Warfare? I might pick up that rulebook anyway cause it's like 15 bucks on amazon.
>>
>>50983052
Kind of curious ~ How is Mantic Kow,Warpath doing ?
>>
>>51048213
There's been a guy loosely affiliated with Paolo that's been making warfare statistics for all the units released up until now, although from what I heard he had some issues with the Dust team and might not be working on it anymore (but I'm not sure how much longer there is going to be new midels; they've spent the last two years just trying to fulfill the Kickstarter orders and they still haven't sent out all of the promised models).

To follow official dust warfare rules, you have to select a specific platoon and fill it out with specific unit choices. If you're just playing tactics or battlefield, you can run with anything you want. To play either way, I would buy a command unit (either a hero or a command squad), a couple infantry units, and a support unit (either a vehicle or a sniper/spotter team, you get a team free if you use a command squad in warfare). For small games it doesn't really matter, but in large games the organization charts help limit the amount of wonkiness that can be exploited in tactics (IE bringing a list of only air units when only a handful of units in the game can do AA). I'd recommend sticking with the core troops early on and get the newer units when you start expanding, as a lot of them are situational and not as good (except the Soviet steel guard, who are probably one of the best units in the game as most units even tanks can't hit them).
>>
>>51049638
>>model range and hobby aspect.

But you can use any manufacturer's minis you want and multi basing gives you a massive amount of hobby possibilities.

Mantics own range of minis basically exist for people who don't care about the model range or hobby aspect of a game.
>>
>>51049350

Kings of War rules are okay. The game lacks heart. Its balanced because its simplistic with how the rules function.

No one likes GW, but WFB let you make the exact army you wanted. Army creation was pretty indepth in KOW everything is just cookie cutter and all the upgrades are nickle and dime. Spells are garbage and shooting kind of sucks too. In WFB, individual models could do great things; while KOW a lucky dice roll can kill a unit or make sure they do literally zero all game. Character could be stacked with upgrades and contribute to the fight.

A bunch of the things listed were way the fuck out of control in WFB, but they are non existent in KOW. It lost my interest when I watched a team of knights get stopped by a small block of dogs because the dogs rolled high and wavered them right away. And the game doesn't even feel that balanced either.
>>
>>51053632
or, y'know, people who happen to like them
>>
>>51053738
>but WFB let you make the exact army you wanted
You mean the exact army the local meta set up and won't crush in the first turn with a shitty spell that eradicates half your army.
>>
>>51053776

If you like them that's great, most people don't and they basically exist just to be cheap.

>>51053738
>WFB let you make the exact army you wanted.

As long as you didn't mind getting smashed to fucking pieces yeah sure.

You're talking about lucky rolls as if they could never happen in WHFB, I've seen Arcaon get his ass kicked by any number of ridiculous things.
>>
>>51053789
>>51053865

You are missing the point. Yes the game was unbalanced and lot of rules were shitty. KOW solution is to remove everything creative about army building and just dumb it down the unit interaction. This doesn't appeal to a lot of WFB players. Yes the maneuvering and combat is still there, but a lot is lost as well.

With lucky rolls: Yes every game has them again that isn't the point. It is about making units feel how they are supposed to. If you charge a horde of goblins in a small force of dwarf longbeard. You might end up wiht a coupld dead dwarfs, but a massive pile of goblin bodies and a crap ton of lots combat res. Maybe you get the luck six in that hurts his dwarf lord and that is fine.

You can take the same unit in KOW and roll a double 6 and suddenly they are squashed or wavered. The dwarfs might not even get to do anything at all. This is an extreme example. KOW isn't terrible, but it doesn't appeal to a lot of players for these reasons.
>>
>>51054162
Iunno man, the thing I fucking hate in any kind of Warhammer is the army building.
>>
>>51054162
The trouble with WFB at the end, it happened in my group and the store I attended, you'd spend ages buying, building and painting your army- creating a nice army list- take an age setting up your armies- your opponent gets first turn rolls some dice and basically pack up your nicely painted army. WFB turned into first turn and their magic phase and you could have just done the game with some dice and paper counters and had as much 'fun'
>>
>>51054196
Well that is a flavor thing. I am not saying an unbalanced mess that some of those codex books was is what I want. It just KOW and WFB are to opposite ends of the spectrum.

I would much rather play a dwarf army from Zhufbar that uses XYZ fluff choice that are still viable, while relying on solid balanced core choices that make me competitive. Maybe with a named character or a themed one that enhanced my army a bit, but isn't OP. This much better than being just generic dwarves that have no culture or identity. In the end, you could always drop some of those themes for a few pick up games to play a different style for fun. You can't conjure them up from thin air with KOW.

It is also worth saying though, that you might simply enjoy these parts of KOW that I don't. Again, I am not saying its a bad game. However, I think the lack of options prohibits it from being a really great game.
>>
>>51054276

Again, I am not saying WFB was great. There was a lot of it that was complete shit. No one like losing half their army to a purple sun or dwellers because their opponent just forced the spell through not giving a shit about their wizard. Then there was shit like the absurd power combos like buffed witch elves or dwarf shooting lists that got lucky then murdered half your force and one shotted all your monsters.

I am actually really hoping after another year of cooking time and The 9th Age team gets it right. I like a lot of what they are putting down so far. That game still has a long way to go. It just goes to show how many problems were in the base game of WFB.
>>
>>51054343
I think that the point is that you do create your own theme. You can do your dudes very easily in the open ended setting, only this time while not immediately getting your ass kicked because of the poor balance if you dare make something fluffy. You don't need much int he way of specific mechanics in order to tell a story and to create something personal.

Along with balance, it helps that there isn't any random charge distances, thirty minute turns, true line of sight, and you can do preameasuring and multibasing. All of this really just helps with the modeling and competitive aspect while debloating WFB the way it should have been done.
>>
>>51054645
>only this time while not immediately getting your ass kicked because of the poor balance if you dare make something fluffy
I made my Dwarven army look like an army with core troops, cannons, some elites and got my ass kicked without any kind of second chance.

Also, every tournament army is elite focused, haven't seen any where a slight hint of actual army structure came into account. Fucking Elven flying circuses.
>>
>>51054685
Were they actually using the tournament pack?
>>
>>51054696
This was before any kind of tourney packs were made I think.

Still, got my shit fucked up by literally everyone. My Dwarves sit on a 7 or 10 losing streak. Fucking shit army.
>>
>>51054714
Mantic put one out May of last year. You might want to ask the TO about it and why it wasn't used.
>>
>>51054773
This was in January.

Also, the tournaments stopped after each and every one of them were won by the same Elven faggot who then complained against the tournament pack.
>>
>>51054830
Sorry, I meant May of last year as in May of 2015. And yeah, the TO sound like they didn't know what they were doing.
>>
>>51054993
Meh, it's not his faults dorfs are shit. Being slow in a game that's about speed and maneuvering fucking sucks.
>>
File: asw.jpg (173KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
asw.jpg
173KB, 1024x640px
Hey guys I've been working on an element based 6-15mm ruleset for sci-fi models. I'd love some feedback if you have the time.

https://ufile.io/cf245
>>
>>51056029
Just starting to skim this, but have you checked out Alien Squad Leader?

Anyway, I'm always a fan of HotTlikes, especially since they tend to be readily playable in 28mm if you're a weird idiot like me.
>>
>>51056101

Yeah I've read a lot of the other rules out there and honestly this started as a project to make something simple enough for my GF to play. But I also ultimately want this game to be available for free, be an online, living document and to have hyperlinks throughout the text to the glossary.

Thanks for taking the time to skim.

Alien Squad Leader is over her head.
>>
>>51053738
>>51054162
>>51054343
You are speaking truth my friend. KoW just lacks heart, both in the model range, the fluff, and the rules. It is so vanilla. At least WHFB was grand and big in all 3 of those aspects. Hell, even AoS looks more attractive. The core rules of AoS may seem too simple, but each individual unit and character acts and feels like they should, and most have plenty of options (not as many as whfb though) and on top of that you have synergy between units and heroes that make for all kinds of interesting combos. Even the setting is trying to be unique and grand and has flavor, even though it's not the flavor a lot of whfb players like.

I get why KoW was made. It was made for the crumbling Warhammer player base yearning for something balanced, and for some players that's all they want, is a balanced game. But for players like me, balance isn't everything, and that's all KoW seems to have going for it. I'll pass.
>>
>>51056740
Also not removing models from damage is a deal breaker for me. I get you can do the diorama thing, and that's cool, but I like seeing units get effected by damage. I like seeing the horde of little guys wrap around a small unit of valiant defenders to the last man, the horde getting beaten down to smaller numbers. When units clash in AoS, it looks like the movies as they pile in to each other. It has a very cinematic feel. KoW just has 2 blocks meet, then one disappears.
>>
>>51051553
Revised edition is just has rules for the base grid game. You want the Warefare rulebook if you want to play on a more larger scale.
>>
>>51056891

Well, the idea there is for a more realistic 'Units break before every (Or even most) member of them dies'
>>
>>51056982
I get the idea, but that still happens in whfb or aos. KoW's just very dull
>>
>>51057059
Can't speak for AoS, but WHFB had casualty removal because it liked to pretend it didn't use figure scaling.

Because we all know a real regiment is about 20 dudes strong.
>>
>>51057137
The older editions of WHFB used to have a note about that, but the later ones dropped it and started taking the models more literal.
>>
File: 770640_sm-Horizonwars.jpg (97KB, 600x779px) Image search: [Google]
770640_sm-Horizonwars.jpg
97KB, 600x779px
What's yall's opinions on this game? Would it be possible to scale it up?
>>
>>51058278
Been looking for a pdf to give the rules a good read. Until then, no comment.
>>
>>51058278
Looks interesting
>>
>>51056982
10-20% would be a reasonable "realistic" breakpoint, but that's 2-4 models of a generic warhams regiment, warhammer-style figure removal is never going to look realistic. and that's fine, I love it for its own thing, but it's a big part of why I prefer games without figure removal.

>>51057137
>Can't speak for AoS, but WHFB had casualty removal because it liked to pretend it didn't use figure scaling.
the editions which intentionally did that were so fucking stupid.

>>51058278
pretty good. playing it in 28mm is stupid but you're damn right I've done it and had fun, do not be like me though
>>
>>51058278
>>51060146
hw is however super lightweight for a lot of aspects.

I have the free pdf somewhere, if you bought the games that it was based on the author offered to send you a pdf of horizon wars as a freebie, but I don't think I have it here. bought the hardcopy anyway.

the fluff snippets were amusing.
>>
>>51060146
But I want to play it in 28mm. Do you just scale up the measuring and distances and things like that? My brother and I have a lot of generic scifi minis we want to play games with, and we were looking into this. We also wanted a game where we could build whatever we wanted on a mini, and make rules for it. This seems to fit the bill, but it's not 28mm scale.
>>
>>51060332
You can check Fast and Dirty for that, no need to upscale a mass battle game.
>>
>>51053563
>>51056958

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I'll pick up the warfare book and get some extra squads cause they're so cheap.
>>
>>51056740
You're obvoiusly never going to like it, and that's fine, but most of the stuff you think is bad, I think is great.
No casualty removal? Awesome, it was a waste of time.
I'm not even a WHFB refugee, I tried to play it years ago and it was so clunky and awful I couldn't get through my first game.
>>
>>51060332
Oh, right. Well, that's what I do. Not too big a deal for me, I don't mind breaking out the 8'x6' and using larger bases (I tend to use three or four infantry to represent a squad, but that's just habit) and I have fun.

You might want to check out laserstorm for something more amenable to 28mm?

My gaming is somewhat idiosyncratic, mostly because I just set tables up and invite friends to play.
>>
>>51038164
>>51038170
>>51038178
>>51038193
Where did you get those soldiers anon? They look great.
>>
>>51060332
>My brother and I have a lot of generic scifi minis we want to play games with, and we were looking into this. We also wanted a game where we could build whatever we wanted on a mini, and make rules for it. This seems to fit the bill, but it's not 28mm scale.
check out Gruntz and Tomorrow's War. Both can be found as pdf.
>>
>>51058278

why would you want to? what's with this new era of gamers who want to play with action figures?
>>
>>51061710
Since when is 28mm "action figures" size?
>>
>>51061710
yeah seriously FUCK people who play with little toy soldiers, wankers
>>
>>51062135
also it's not 28mm, says right in the image 2-10mm
>>
>>51062233

>>51061710 is referring to how >>51058278 wants to scale it up to 28mm, it says so right in the comment.
>>
>>51061710
Because fuck you, that's why. 28mm isn't "new generation" millenial bullshit. 28mm isn't new anymore. Nor is 28mm 'action figures'. So what you are intending to say in your post is "what's with people liking what I dont like?'
>>
>>51062348
Lets be honest though, 28mm will never be good at portraying combined arms. Even 15mm would be stretching it.
>>
>>51062395
Let's be honest, no tabletop will ever be as good at portraying actual combat as a video game. You just can't have the multitude of variables translate well into paper and people's memory.
>>
>>51063238
This, tbqh. I'm not so much interested in simulating reality as I am just getting a good narrative and fun battle going.
>>
>>51063238
Let's be honest, no video game will ever be as good at portraying actual combat as actual combat.
>>
File: 1469655190875.png (308KB, 492x419px) Image search: [Google]
1469655190875.png
308KB, 492x419px
>>50995025
Warhammer??
Warhammer is the most mainstream wargame and you don't even know how it plays? Research at least the basics before asking on here.
>>
Who was the anon that was interested about All Quiet on the Martian Front? Did you buy any of the models?
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.