[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Sunless Citadel Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 442
Thread images: 45

File: The_Sunless_Citadel.jpg (110KB, 747x954px) Image search: [Google]
The_Sunless_Citadel.jpg
110KB, 747x954px
>Latest News
New 5e book announced: Tales from the Yawning Portal
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

What adventure in TftYP are you most excited to see redone in 5e?
>>
I like 4e and 5e.
>>
File: map barrier peaks.jpg (4MB, 1500x2883px) Image search: [Google]
map barrier peaks.jpg
4MB, 1500x2883px
>>51050508
Barrier Peaks when?
>>
>>51050539
Well I think you are entitled to your opinion, friend.
>>
>>51050508
>What adventure in TftYP are you most excited to see redone in 5e?

I'm not oldfag enough to know what any of them are like. I remember people talking about Tomb of Horrors when I ran 3.5 but I never sought it out.
>>
File: 1451756817690.png (1MB, 1280x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1451756817690.png
1MB, 1280x1600px
What would be the most interesting guild you could create? What are your ideas, /5eg/?
>>
>>51050563
>Tomb of Horrors
Its shit

Most fun I ever had in ToH was porting it to Scion and tearing the place a new asshole
>>
>>51050594
Look up Eberron's dragonmarked houses. The premise of racial magic used to create an economy will give you a lot of inspiration.

I still struggle to think what the Mark of Death was supposed to do when true dragonmarks are explicitly about magic that can create useful things.
>>
File: image.png (163KB, 1062x646px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
163KB, 1062x646px
Are dwarves good in this system?
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nc8b3hA0bI1ro5fe2.png (500KB, 348x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nc8b3hA0bI1ro5fe2.png
500KB, 348x750px
A friend wants to play Gaston in a level 5 one shot. I'm thinking Valor Bard, he's thinking hunter ranger. Who's right?
>>
Tactical and intelligent creatures should often finish off downed creatures once its demonstrated that otherwise they stand back up, aka if you have a healer waking them up.

Additionally, certain forms of undead, particularly the more basic types, might simply continue to kill unless otherwise interfered with.

Unintelligent creatures, such as still controlled undead or constructs, may well be instructed specifically to kill enemies, simply based on the wishes and wording of their creator/controller. Similarly, creatures defending a specific location, such as golems or non-mobile or sentient plant beings, may just keep on swatting those nearest them.

Particularly cruel beings, such as specific demons or black dragons, will finish off an enemy to shock their enemies.

Assassins and those seeking vengeance may kill their target, and cowardly creatures, such as some kobolds or goblins, may choose to just stab the guy on the ground in front of them instead of the scary group of enemies a bit beyond.

Certain beings may feel so unthreatened by the party as a unit, that killing an individual may seem the first step in killing them all.

Some creatures may value specific individuals, wounding or knocking them unconcious, yet find others unvaluable, and may finish them off while leaving others alive. Some examples would be Illithids, which may feed on or destroy people they don't want as slaves, or Beholders, which may disintegrate those they dislike or don't want.
>>
Reposting:

I'm playing a divination wizard in an upcoming campaign, and I'm having some trouble fluffing out Portent. I'm not sure how to fluff replacing a con save or will save or something like that. Anyone come up with something?
>>
>>51050668
Hunter with a high Charisma.
>>
>>51050668
Neither. He's a charlatan swashbuckler with expertise in grappling (athletics), and performance.
>>
>>51050694
Portent is your ability to see the future.

Do didn't change anything. You just see what actually happen. You see a guy that can't withstand poison. You see that your charm spell is effective.

That why you have to replace the dice before your DM start rolling.
>>
>>51050668
The guy was a professional hunter. Take a guess which one of you is right.
>>
>>51050644
They are pretty good. Abjuration Wizard Dwarf is hilariously durable. You can even melee with battleaxe.
>>
>>51050694
Preface literally every use of Portent with "I saw that coming"
done
>>
>>51050668
>>51050709
>Valor Bard
>expertise in performance
Gaston would be a bard, except for the fact that he's in a musical. The thing about musicals is that everybody in them can sing, just because it's a musical, but it's not a character trait, just an aspect of the world.

If you're statting a character from a movie, you don't stat their Charisma on how charismatic their actor is, you stat them for how charismatic their character is supposed to be. One is a function of the medium, the other is a function of the character itself. So I would leave bards and performance out of it entirely, and focus on what Gaston is actually good at, namely: eating five dozen eggs every day. Hunter Ranger with high CHA and low INT.
>>
>>51050765
>>51050791
I'm not basing the bard argument on the songs, I'm basing it on Gaston inspiring a whole town to form an angry mob to kill The Beast.
>>
>>51050300
Pretty sure more evident is pointing that long neck dinosaur just lie in place and graze. They dont walk much at all.

Also the world's atmosphere at that point has more buoyancy (the same way the ocean can support whale), so they dont instantly crush themselves.

This doesn't apply in D&D world though because human can't survive that kjnd of atmosphere.
>>
>>51050752
>>51050786
So if I give a party member passing roll on a saving throw, it's more of my character forseeing that they dodged a fireball or resisted a poison? A friend of mine described it as fast-fowarding through a movie and catching some spoilers.
>>
>>51050824
Gaston was probably a Ranger/Bard or a ranger with ridiculously high charisma. Aside from Belle, everyone in the village looked up to him, and although the movie does make him the butt of many jokes, it seems that he's a very competent hunter and overall a very hardy and strong fellow (which doesn't fit with bard alone).
>>
>>51050859
>Also the world's atmosphere at that point has more buoyancy (the same way the ocean can support whale), so they dont instantly crush themselves.
Boy, you need to read you a book. The difference in atmospheric density between then and now wouldn't be significant enough to have any required effect. They were just really big, specialized animals.
>>
>>51050824
>I'm basing it on Gaston inspiring a whole town to form an angry mob to kill The Beast.
You don't need to be a fucking bard to pull that off, anon.
>>
>>51050865
Yeah. Thing get weird if you use lucky to force a reroll before using portent though.
>>
>>51050824
But what does that have to do with being a bard? Bards don't have a moratorium on convincing people to do shit. Rangers are certainly capable of forming bands of militias to defend civilization, aren't they? That was basically Aragorn's whole deal. And it's not like Gaston used magic at all, either, while bards are a full-caster class this edition.
>>
>>51050824
Folk Hero background
>>
>>51050859
Normally I'm not one of those people to go "hurr durr magic" about everything in a fantasy setting, especially shit that are non-magical. That shit pisses me off to no end.

But, dragons are literally fucking magic.

>>51050824
That is a REALLY weak basis for deciding someone's class, anon, and really shows a lack of both critical thinking skills and imagination on your part.
>>
>>51050885
Air sac
>>
>>51050539
I integrate elements of 4E's combat and enemy abilities into 5E to make the combat more strategic and interesting, though I stole the idea from Matt Colville on YouTube.
>>
>>51050930
The guy start it by going "hurrdurr physic mean dragon can just stomp on the party!! Muh giant fetish!!"

It work both way.
>>
>>51050539
I like all editions of D&D for different reasons
>>
>>51050887
Lucky isn't a reroll (although everyone treats it like one). Lucky + Portent would just be pick one portent die, roll another D20 (once), and pick whichever you like. Bit of a waste though.
>>
>>51050791
>>51050873
>>51050886
>>51050899
>>51050920
>>51050930
You guys didn't have to rekt the op that hard. Maybe he's really retarded.
>>
>>51050961
What does medicine have to do with giants and dragons?
>>
>>51050972
You have to decide to use Portent before you roll and it automatically replaces the roll, so you can't roll the Lucky die and choose which one to take
>>
>>51050994
Lucky can overwrite portent. Pretty sure there is a sageadvice (and a shit storm about how luck can beat fate) on that somewhere
>>
>>51050994
>Whenever you make an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can spend one luck point to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend one of your luck points after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined.

Luck doesn't actually touch the original die, it lets you roll an extra one
>>
>>51051031
Oh, my bad
>>
>>51051077
No worries m8 its something I had to look up myself a couple of months ago
>>
File: 1351719069326.png (5KB, 299x276px) Image search: [Google]
1351719069326.png
5KB, 299x276px
is mystic/sohei out yet?
>>
File: 1481588016636.png (47KB, 281x245px) Image search: [Google]
1481588016636.png
47KB, 281x245px
Somebody please help me, I am fucking eating up the UA Paladin oaths and I need to be stopped before I roll up an edgelord
>>
>>51051087
It won't be out til sometime in February.
>>
>>51051087
No

>>51051113
Do iiiiiiit.
My buddy is playing a half Orc Paladin who's goal is to raise an army and dethrone the prince who slaughtered his tribe and stole their land. He hates humans, so he's basically playing Orc Hitler now. He switched to one of the UA oaths (the fear one, forget the name) and it's going well so far
>>
How's this for a harpoon gun?

>Martial ranged weapon, heavy, two-handed, reload, special
>Damage: 1d12 piercing (maybe 2d6?)
>Range: 50/200 (not sure about this either)

Special: When you hit with a harpoon, you can choose to let its rope free or keep it attached to the weapon. If you let it free, the rope dangles beneath the target down to its length. If you keep it attached, the target can't move beyond the gun's normal range, but it can wedge itself free with a successful Athletics check contested by the weilder's Athletics check. If you fire at a target beyond the gun's normal range, you can't keep the rope attached to the gun.
>>
>>51051113

No. Stop. Don't.
>>
>>51051113
Why not try your hand at reverse-falling? Rising into one of the more benevolent Oaths, as it were.
Someone brought it up a couple of weeks ago, and I'd eat that sort of shit up, it sounds great.
>>
>>51050644

Dwarves are always good. I cant think of a version of the game they havent been above average at least in.This is mostly because the most commonly played Hill Dwarf gets bonuses that benefit any class. Everyone loves having a crapton more HP and a little better Wis save to keep from getting Dominated. Poison is an element that sucks ass for PCs to use but is actually pretty common to throw against them so the Dwarves Save Advantage/Resistance comobo vs Poison is very helpful.. You can play a hearty tough to kill version of any class if you can live with not maxing out your main stat a little longer

Mountain Dwarves have the memetastic ability to grant armor proficiencies to classes that likely already have them if you need a +2 to Str/Con and should be treated as such
>>
Can a bard not be focused on music? Can a bard just be like a rogue that recognizes the power that comes with melody?
>>
>>51051415

He can be whatever you want him to be, anon. It's D&D!
>>
>>51051415
Yes. Refluff.
>>
>>51051415
>that recognizes the power that comes with melody?
...and does what exactly?
>>
>>51051415
What?
Isn't that just a rogue who appreciates music?
>>
File: hm elf.jpg (46KB, 452x518px) Image search: [Google]
hm elf.jpg
46KB, 452x518px
So upcoming UAs:

Known order, starting January 9th:
- Ranger
- Rogue
- Sorcerer
- Warlock
- Wizard

Mentioned by devs:
- Mystic v3 (full 20 class, 6 subclasses, 50 disciplines, + sohei fighter subclass), completed, likely after wizard UA.
- Expanded downtime rules (focused on ways to spend extra gold, between-session rules with in-session complications including winding up in jail or other things), still in-development.
- Rules for what happens "on the other end of adventuring life" to backgrounds (wild speculation includes paragon paths or campaign epilogue guidelines).
- Mysterious other "<redacted>" subjects that actually delayed the Mystic for a bit.
>>
>>51051561
What I want to know is, after they're done with all the class UAs are they actually going to make some of them official?

I hate the stupid look on my DM's face when I ask about UA stuff... I'm not trying to break the game jackass, I just want more options.
>>
>>51051561
>full 20 class
Ok hold the fuck up
What do you mean by this
>>
>>51051596
Levels 1-20
>>
>>51051596
Full level 20. The last version only has ability up to level 10.
>>
>>51051609
>>51051610
Alright, thought he meant 20 new classes
I should go to bed
>>
>>51051180
Opinions please?
>>
>>51051642

Oh, seems fine I guess, if you keep it to only 1 shot a round.
>>
>>51051642
It's a better longbow with special effect.
What do you think?
>>
>>51051589
i dont think that any of the UA stuff is stupid broken or so unbalanced that it deserves that kind of treatment
i mean all it take is to pull up a pdf and read like three paragraphs
also if they aren't accommodating shit like Forge and Grave domains and Swashbucklers you limiting the scope of your setting and the players who use it
>>
>>51051589
>What I want to know is, after they're done with all the class UAs are they actually going to make some of them official?
Either at the end of the year or sometime next year. This is all clearly playtesting for their previously-discussed "mechanical expansion" book. They're in major crunchtime for stuff to put in there, and I expect that these UA stuff is only a small part of what will end up in there.
>>
>>51051642
It's really just a heavy crossbow + fluff
No need to reinvent wheels here
>>
Holy shit, DMing for less people makes running games like 200% easier

just felt like throwing that out there
>>
>>51051653
>>51051654
Yes, the idea is you can fire it but then have to use your action to reload. So no Crossbow Expert to bypass it. That's what the reload property means, right? i don't have the DMG on me to doublecheck.

>>51051682
What I want is something that shoot projectiles with a rope attached. The ranger in my party wanted to do something similar and I thought "why not".
>>
>>51051698
3-5 is a good number

Any more and you're just punching yourself in the dick, expecting it to feel better than jerking off
>>
File: 1468643347650.jpg (30KB, 560x373px) Image search: [Google]
1468643347650.jpg
30KB, 560x373px
>tfw you DM and the CR for everything is 15
>>
File: 0012[1].jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
0012[1].jpg
63KB, 640x480px
>>51051712
>What I want is something that shoot projectiles with a rope attached
Yeah, a heavy crossbow

Fluff it all you like, but personally I wouldn't waste a ton of effort on special snowflake mechanics. Maybe pull back the range a bit when the rope is attached (same energy but more mass = less distance), but otherwise I don't see why you'd change anything
>>
>>51051766
Fuck I meant DC
it's still early
>>
>>51051653
>>51051654
>>51051712
>Loading. Because of the time required to load this
>weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition
>from it when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction
>to fire it, regardless of the number of attacks you can
>normally make.
>>
>>51050644
>Willi Goodhand
Uhhh
>>
>>51050635
Where can I find a good guide to Eberron as a setting anyhow?
>>
>>51051714
3''s too intimate for me, personally. I find 6 to be my just about right number, but 5 is just fine.

I've been able to handle 8, did 10 once and that just was too much.
>>
>>51051858
The 3e Eberron setting book?
>>
>>51051858
3.5e Eberron Campaign Setting book. You can find a PDF by Googling it easily enough. Five Nations is another great one, gives a good rundown of the four main nations + the Mournlands.
>>
>>51051890
A...are we still talking about players...?
>>
>>51051793
Doesn't stop player to Shoot > drop (no action) > draw (object interaction) > shoot another one with extra attack.
>>
>>51051278
>>51050773
Mountain dwarf abjuration wizard, bruh.
8 INT, medium armor, warhammer
>>
>>51051954
we Matrix now
>>
Lv 6 Abjuration or Divination
>>
>>51051767
Hm. I still should establish mechanics for how the rope works, right? Or just say fuck it and have a more expensive ammunition (for silk rope)? Besides, a huge harpoon gun would be pretty cool.
>pull back the range a bit
You may notice I used half the range of a heavy crossbow with that thought in mind

>>51051793
The loading property can be bypassed by the Crossbow Expert feat, which is why I used the reload property instead. I guess if I keep heavy xbow stats I wouldn't need to change the property.
>>
>>51051766
>>51051781
so mod it lower
i mean the simplest solution is to just lower the stats of the thing you want to use
or take a comparable lower level monster ad use it as a template to use on the monster you want.
>>
>>51050594
The Night-Soil Shovelers Guild.
>>
>>51051826
so that what a Dwarven Prostitute clan would be named....
>>
The optional encumbrance rules are hardcore man.
>>
>>51052247
No I mean when I have to decide the DC for something it's ALWAYS 15
>>
>>51050508
So with improved divine smite, does a paladin that crits not only get the weapon dice as bonus damage, but a second divine smite 1d8?
>>
>>51052288
Crits double all damage dice you deal on an attack, including smite, sneak attack, hunter's mark etc
>>
Honestly the more I look at Druid the more I think it should have been broken up into two classes where one was Druid (Shamany Witchdoctor) and one was Shifter (or whatever, more like 3.5's MoMF).

Or maybe a Animal Transformer would be a Monk subclass.

The EK for Fighter probably should have been an arcane based Paladin theme as well, Probably.
>>
>>51050594
The Mad Fellows Guild
A guild of like minded people who seek out dangerous magical items and artifacts and creatures, not to protect or guard them, but to use them to see what they do and how they work!
despite causing untold destruction and it being an unspoken crime to belong to such a group, it has endured strong and united for millennia.
So if you ever see a mountain shoot into the sky unannounced, have your village turned into talking animals, or find that there are suddenly a lot more violent trees in the area, tread carefully!
there might be a mad fellow about!
>>
>>51052288
Yeah, all damage dice get doubled on a regular crit.
You know what's retarded? Our GM gave me a blunt weapon with a special ''can use a bonus action to unload holy water on attack'' modifier, like an aspergillum device.
Our casters are reaching the point where they can make use of Hold Person more or less when needed. As soon as I'm able, one of these days I'm getting the critical strike to end all crits.
>>
>>51052308
> Want class bloat in 5e
Go back to /pfg/
>>
>>51052308
Nah, druid is fine as-is. There's one subclass dedicated to wildshape fuckery (Moon) and the rest are fine just having it as a good utility ribbon, especially good for scouting and the like.
>>
>>51052279
oh
then back the fuck up dude your doing too much
break those encounters up or take a monster or two out.
or cheat and go easy on you players
>>
>>51052288
Why do you think Assassin / Paladin is one of the meme?
>>
Are Sniper Rogues OP? I made one (first time ever playing a rogue in 5e, no optimization guides or the like either), and a few sessions in, my DM nerfed me to hell by taking away my ranged sneak attack.
>>
>>51052356
No, your DM is just a dumb baby who thinks they know the system better than the game's designers. It's a classic sign of That DM-ism.
>>
>>51052356
No they aren't OP. Your DM is shit. Rogue is balance around the idea that you have access to sneak attack every round in 5e.

Melee Rogue does the same thing anyway. They attack, then use cunning action to move out to safety.
>>
>>51052356
Why the hell would he take away half of a core class feature from you just because you're doing ''too well''? From a tactical standpoint, it isn't all that much better from a Rogue using Cunning Action to disengage or hide after every melee sneak attack.

Like, I've never DM'd, but it's clear they don't have much of an idea about what they're doing.
>>
>>51052366
>>51052373
This

Taking away a rogue's sneak attack? Why not take away a paladin's smites and a wizard's cantrips while he's at it? He should be able to come up with other ways to challenge you. Like enemies that aren't hindered by a meatshield.
>>
>>51052366
>>51052373
>>51052396
The nerf was that I could get ranged Sneak Attack damage, but only once per encounter. Then I had to put away my sniping weapon and move into melee. The 'fluff' is that after the first hit, the enemies know there's a sniper and are on guard.

I tried to compromise by proposing that after the first shot, my sneak attack damage would be halved until I moved to a new vantage point, but he wouldn't have any of it.

Meanwhile, the Monk is shredding things solo and denying them reactions.
>>
>>51050508
Can a kind anon post the "Way of the Knife Asshole" image please?
>>
>>51052418
Tons of red flag there. You really should find a new group.

Or be super passive aggressive about it and play Halfling Diviner instead.
>>
>>51052418
> The enemy know there's a sniper out there and are on guard

This is true. But it's represent by the enemy not being "Surprise" anymore. Sneak attack doesn't have anything to do with that.

Tell him to actually read the PHB before DMing. Better yet, make a thread in Reddit or something and show him that he is wrong and how bad he is at DMing in his face.
>>
>>51052444
Checked.
Not him, but what's the gimmick behind halfling diviner?
I'd imagine rolling 1's in the morning is a good thing- i.e., use them on enemies
>>
>>51052418
>after the first hit, the enemies know there's a sniper and are on guard

That's shitty reasoning, in my opinion: Sneak attack works either from having advantage on your attack roll, or having an ally engaged with your target within 5 feet of it.
You can ''know'' there's a sniper out there to get you and your comrades all you fucking want, it won't stop the bullets to fuck you up something hardcore while you're busy trying not to get cleaved by their Fighter or while you're held down, paralyzed.
>>
>>51051940
....yes?
>>
How do you git gud at D&D imagineering?
>>
>>51052465
Diviner's Portent and Halfling's luck bullshit (alongside the Lucky feat's rerolls) are their own resource each, you can use either one before (Portent) or after (Lucky, deciding to reroll) after each d20.
The thing is that it lets you fucker around a lot, and turn an otherwise adequately difficult encounter into into a joke by virtue of beign a walking improbability drive.
>>
>>51052465
Use Portent to make sure DM can't have fun.
Use Lucky feat to make sure DM can't have fun (Critical hit? Oh no you don't)

You will be the one who dictate the story narrative. Want to Persuade the king? Nah, just take 17. Want to Bluff? Nah, that guy take 2 on his Insight check. Want to save against my Polymorph spell? No way, take a 4. You are now a fish.

Stuff like that.
>>
>>51052501
Think about stuff.
>>
>>51052468
Believe me, I argued this to death
>>
>>51052418
>> The enemy know there's a sniper out there and are on guard
>This is true. But it's represent by the enemy not being "Surprise" anymore. Sneak attack doesn't have anything to do with that.

100% fucking this. Sneak attack doesn't mean they're not aware of you. It CAN mean that. But it can also mean that they're busy engaged with another enemy in melee, distracted, allowing you to hit a weak spot.

>S n e a k A t t a c k
>Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly
>and exploit a foe’s distraction. Once per turn, you can
>deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with
>an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The
>attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.
>You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another
>enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy
>isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on
>the attack roll.
>The amount of the extra damage increases as you
>gain levels in this class, as show n in the Sneak Attack
>colum n of the Rogue table.

Tell him to read that out loud. Then if he still wants to remove a class's core feature tell him you want to roll another class that he will actually allow to be played the intended way.
>>
File: tumblr_o3mkfs7XjW1ro2bqto1_500.jpg (96KB, 500x305px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3mkfs7XjW1ro2bqto1_500.jpg
96KB, 500x305px
>>51050544
Honestly disappointed this isn't in TftYP seeing as Volo's gave us official statblocks for the Froghemoth and the Vegepigmies.
>>
>>51052535
Suicide your character
>>
>>51052535
If he won't rescind despite other characters still putting similar if not more damage, I say either leave the group or kill the rogue
>>
>>51052552
>TftYP
I hope that's not what we're going to call it. How about TYP?
>>
>>51052564
TYP is probably what will catch like, like how Volo's was called VGtM before release but then VGM afterward.
>>
>>51052418
Yeah man, that's how it works in real life. I remember in Iraq whenever we came under sniper fire we'd just laugh and then ignore it because we knew what general direction it was coming from so that made us magicly able to dodge bullets without diving behind cover while being shot at from a different direction by guys down the street. We where also level 1 Goblins armed with knives carved from deer antlers who's only combat experience was robbing unarmed peasents who are alone in the woods or raiding unguarded ramshakle barns and getting driven off by an overwhelmingly valiant spooked Donkey. Fucking god damn Paladin Donkey, fuck that guy.
>>
>>51052564
>>51052569
I'm just using the abbreviation used in the OP. TYP is a lot easier now that you say it though.
>>
>>51051890
Lewd
>>
I fear my players go to Thundertree in LMoP as a group of five level threes. One of them is the starting character supplied by wizards with the backstory that says drive the Dragon off.
How can I make sure they have fun? I want to make their first Dragon memorable and majestic, but the adventure guide offers little substance other than get it to 50% hp. I fear they may feel bummed out for a party wipe that's hard to foresee as a new player, but the fighter literally has it in his backstory to confront it.
>>
>>51052855
It's gonna be smart and scary. It's gonna toy with them, talking to them from above while crawling into a good position for a breath attack.

Maybe if it knocks out a PC, it'll grab it and tell the party to surrender or it'll bite the PC's head off (instead of going for a TPK). Then it'll enjoy getting the party to do its evil bidding.

>The most cunning and treacherous of true dragons,
>green dragons use misdirection and trickery to get the
>upper hand against their enemies. Nasty tempered and
>thoroughly evil, they take special pleasure in subverting
>and corrupting the good-hearted. In the ancient forests
>they roam, green dragons demonstrate an aggression
>that is often less about territory than it is about gaining
>power and wealth with as little effort as possible.
>>
File: ht.png (421KB, 500x598px) Image search: [Google]
ht.png
421KB, 500x598px
>>51051698
I've ran for 4 people and 5 people before.

Definitely running at least 6 next Friday, perhaps even 7 if literally everyone shows up.

Any advice? It feels like this mayyyy be too many, but I can't really know until we get into it.
>>
>>51050644
Urhardt Axebrew coming through!
>>
>>51052898
I dunno. It's gonna suck. Make sure when someone says "I do this" and you start resolving it, that thing is finished before resolving what anyone else does, I guess. Tell them to wait for their turn (during exploration/investigation etc), maybe put a hand up so you know they're up next.
>>
I can never seem to wrap my head around how the fuck Challenge Rating is supposed to work.

So, Skeleton. Challenge Rating 1/4. As I understand it from the rules, Challenge Rating 1 = a suitable challenge for 4 players of level 1. CR 2 = a suitable challenge for 4 players of level 2.

But if this is how it is, how does mixing work? Should 2 Skeletons and a Skeletal Warhorse be a match for 4 players at level 1?
>>
>>51052928
Have you tried actually reading the encounter building rules?
>>
File: Best Module.jpg (66KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Best Module.jpg
66KB, 500x500px
Official Red Hand of Doom 5e version W H E N?
>>
>>51052928
XP THRESHOLDS BY CHARACTER LEVEL
Character Encounter Difficulty
Level Easy Medium Hard Deadly
1st 25 50 75 100
2nd 50 100 150 200
3rd 75 150 225 400
4th 125 250 375 500
5th 250 500 750 1,100
6th 300 600 900 1,400
7th 350 750 1,100 1,700
8th 450 900 1,400 2,100
9th 550 1,100 1,600 2,400
lOth 600 1,200 1,900 2,800
llth 800 1,600 2,400 3,600
12th 1,000 2,000 3,000 4,500
13th 1,100 2,200 3,400 5,100
14th 1,250 2,500 3,800 5,700
15th 1,400 2,800 4,300 6,400
16th 1,600 3,200 4,800 7,200
17th 2,000 3,900 5,900 8,800
18th 2,100 4,200 6,300 9,500
19th 2,400 4,900 7,300 10,900
20th 2,800 5,700 8,500 12,700

ENCOUNTER MULTIPLIERS
Number of Monsters Multiplier
1 x1
2 x1.5
3-6 x2
7-10 x2.5
11-14 x3
15 or more x4
>>
>>51050644
Reinnar Bloodhand or Underhand
>>
For reasons I wont bother explaining I'm going to break my new session because my DM is allowing me to use these ridiculous feats. I'll be starting with 2 feats at level one and get I'll a new one at level 3,5,7, etc. I'll be playing a human variant battlemaster fighter starting with crossbow mastery and sharpshooter. Which of these would you say are the most broken? Also if any of these say melee I'm still allowed to use them with my hand crossbow.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Lethal_Attacker,_Variant_(5e_Feat)
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Cleaver_(5e_Feat)
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Conserve_Momentum
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Multi-Attacker_(5e_Feat)
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dead_Shot_(5e_Feat)
For this one I'm allowed to change the first part since I already have it from crossbow mastery

Here's all of the feats in case I missed some better ones.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Feats
>>
>>51053040
I don't give a fuck about theorycrafting with wildly shit imbalanced feats from dandwiki that no one uses
>>
>>51052895
Thanks man,
The most entertaining session for them included a PC death, so demonstrating the power that is Venomfang on a cultist or just a single PC rather than go for the full party breath weapon could be fun. Tell them how a torso of their former party member plops down in front of them as they scramble away.
Hopefully the fighter with the Dragon backstory decides to live to fight another day. If not, i can grant him inspiration and kill him off.
>>
>>51050508

Speaking of Sunless Citadel, did Mialee get official 5e stats yet?
>>
Can I cast hold person on someone and then get advantage to hit them with another concentration spell? (or auto hit with a spell with a dex save concentration spell)
i.e. When does the concentration break?
>>
>>51053164
Concentration ends the moment you cast another spell that requires concentration. PHB pg. 203.
>>
>>51053188
Yeah I know, I read the book, but is the moment before or after the spell had an effect?
>>
>>51050644
Bomgold Narbattle
>>
>>51053233
Before
>>
Guys is there any way I could play as a skeleton in a level 3 party?

I'm not very good at 5e, are there templates?
>>
>>51053289
You'd have to use a homebrew or refluff an existing race. Talk with your DM.
>>
Why the hate towards Tales of the Yawning Portal?
For many it'd be their first foray into those dungeons.
Stop being grogands and no-fun-allowed types.
>>
>>51053289
Refluffing Revenent to be skeletal should't change anything.
>>
>>51053324
aren't revenants technically not undead though?
>>
>>51053040
>I'm going to break my new session
Why the fuck would you do that you colossal freak?
>>
>>51052503
>Critical hit? Oh no you don't
You can only use a Luck point before you know the result of their roll. If the DM already said it's a critical, it's too late.
>>
>>51051658
>>510516677
We've had legitimate retards who would deny there was any playtesting and screech that all UA is horrible, horrible garbage.
>>
File: scifivsfantasy.jpg (306KB, 1600x1102px) Image search: [Google]
scifivsfantasy.jpg
306KB, 1600x1102px
>>51050544
Never. Despite the fact that D&D used to be more friendly towards sci-fi mixing, these days you're either going to get people that will hate the idea of mixing the two or will write an essay to you on how making a good science fantasy game is basically impossible.

I know Pathfinder did a thing with it, but PF is dead to me so they don't count.
>>
Has anyone adapted Barrier Peaks already? If not, I'm tempted to write something up
>>
File: 1366749897427.jpg (61KB, 900x454px) Image search: [Google]
1366749897427.jpg
61KB, 900x454px
i need help figuring out how the musket and pistol from the DMG work with the fighter class. i have a player that wants to go arcane archer but with firearms and im more than happy to look over smaller rules for the sake of player enjoyment, but since all those weapons have the loading property i dont understand if that means he can only make one attack with them despite his action surge or even be able to use the create magic arrow feature at all because it takes a action or bonus action.

i wanna recycle the crossbow expert feat for fire arms and let him take it at lvl 4 but until then i just dont understand how a turn in combat would work for him. would appreciate it if anyone can walk me through it or suggest a balanced fix. thanks
>>
Do you call divine smites before or after seeing the attack hit?
>>
>>51053419
How are you going to handle the firearm and robot stats?
>>
>>51053419
I've found this in my research.

https://daemonsanddeathrays.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/expedition-to-barrier-peaks-masterpost/
>>
>>51053492
>when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one paladin spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target
>>when you hit
>>
>>51053512
Poorly
>>
>>51053540
Stop being shit.
>>
What are some tips I should follow if I wanted to run a low magic campaign? Is restricting classes the right way to go (and which ones should I not allow)?
>>
>>51050508
Which race is the edgiest, or has the potential to be the edgiest?
>>
>>51053725
Your Mom.
>>
>tfw you have an amazing scenario, one-liner or other event thought up for your party, but the situation required won't happen for at the very least a month or two, if it happens at all
>>
>>51053725
Tiefling, monstrous races
>>
Are these the only UAs that should be allowed in their currently released state?

>Gothic Heroes
>Barbarian
>Bard
>Cleric
>>
>>51050544
>WotC wants to reshash tiny old dungeon crawler modules
>not any of the big dick adventures from past editions
Give me fucking FURY OF THE IMMORTALS you limp-dicks. That's a conversion spanning multiple locations and a cosmology and geography that doesn't exist in any of the established settings, so it's actually a real bitch to convert to 5E on a DM's own. Do some goddamn work for a change and show me how an adventure that involves alien spaceships nuking the planet, eating up all the magic, and conniving Gods involved in a civil war can take you to the hollow interior of the planet and blow up an entire continent on the surface in Forgotten Realms.
>>
How do you feel about deus ex machinas, if used sparingly? As a kind of reward for having a good relationship with certain NPCs, and they come in at the right time to assist at cruicial times. Not even just in combat, but like a trial or council meeting or other important event, and a noble the party has significantly helped suddenly bursts in to save the day. Is this too cheesy or would the players love it? What's your experience with this?
>>
>>51050563
Tomb of Horrors is a meme module
>>
>>51053821
>alien spaceships nuking the planet, eating up all the magic, and conniving Gods involved in a civil war can take you to the hollow interior of the planet and blow up an entire continent on the surface
what
does this actually happen in a published adventure
>>
>>51053324
Nah dude. He want to be OP mechanically, like immune to lots of shit and never have to eat or sleep. But he is (poorly attempt to) trying to pass it off as "character concept"
>>
File: alphatia BTFO.png (721KB, 1103x680px) Image search: [Google]
alphatia BTFO.png
721KB, 1103x680px
>>51053854
Yes. The 90s were a hell of a drug.
Also, one of the gods is a talking T-rex.
>>
>>51053815
Whats wrong with revised ranger?
>>
>>51053815
Revised Ranger is generally well accepted, but the current version probably won't last due to how front loaded it is. 1 multiclass in it gets you:

>Favored Enemy Bonus Damage, plus advantage on tracking and information checks. Oh and a language
>Ignore all Difficult Terrain
>Advantage on Initiative rolls
>Advantage on creatures that haven't attacked yet for the first round.
>Your team pretty much is the perfect traveling machine.
>>
>>51053895
>>51053919
Well revised ranger too, duh. I was only talking about additional subclasses
>>
If my character's waifu is a cute noble elf girl, what class levels might she have or someday gain?
>>
>>51053725
According to my DMing experience, humans.
>>
>>51054091
Whatever she wants to be. Cocksleeve with the Bimbo archetype?
>>
>>51054144
>>51053791
Went with Fallen Aasimar. 'Eyes to turn into pools of darkness and two skeletal, ghostly, flightless wings to sprout from your back' sold it.
>>
What is joining the adventure league like? I'm thinking of trying to get into one on Fantasy Grounds, but I have no clue if it's roleplay oriented or kill_all_living_things oriented.
>>
>>51054202
It's almost always a 4 hour session broken into roughly 1 hour of setup and RP, 30 mins of exploration/travel, 1.5-2 hours of combat encounters and the rest is buffer and cleanup.
>>
>>51054091

>what class levels might she have

Aristocrat
>>
>>51054269
That's a class? Is it in the DMG? That's the one main book I don't have.
>>
>>51054310

>That's a class?

Well, it was.

In 3.5
>>
Anyone have the link to the DMSguild trove? It's no longer in the OP?
>>
>>51054330
Gross
>>
>>51054091
Pure Waifu? Cleric
Strong Indepedant Pure waifu? Paladin
Meganekko Waifu? Wizard
Sassy waifu? Sorcerer
Disney princess waifu? Druid
>>
>>51054091
Warlock, Fey pact
add a level of conflict as you attempt to keep her favor in the face of their patron, who literally cannot turn down the charm
>>
We're all new, including the DM.

What can I do as a player to make life easier on him?
>>
>Hoard of the dragon queen
>HotDQ
>hot dog
>hot dick

Worst abbreviation desu
>>
Any DMs ever run a Time Traveling campaign and have any success? I really love Chrono Trigger, i play and beat it once a year every December. This is the first year I've been a DM and having just beat it a week or so ago, it got me thinking about doing a time traveling campaign.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
>>
>skimming through PHB
>realizing how many of these rules /items I've literally never seen come up
>>
>>51054528
This is why you read the PHB

And read the DMG and VGM and MM and SCAG and every Adventure book while you're at it, they all have tons of interesting rules, concepts, items, dungeons, maps, monsters, quests, NPCs, etc.
>>
>>51054501

Learn your class, write down your damage rolls
>>
>>51054535
>This is why you read the PHB
What if I uh... don't want to do that homes?
>>
>>51054535
That won't make my DM start enforcing terrain rules or armor don/doffing time
>>
>>51053717
Bump
>>
>>51054501

If you understand the rules better than him, try not to correct him on shit too much unless it's something that really matters, it will just make him flustered.

Try not to obviously sigh with exasperation when he pulls something contrived out of his ass to solve a problem he hadn't considered as a possibility.

For Christ's sake, if he's prepared an adventure in advance, play along at least to a reasonable extent, if he drops obvious plothooks about the spooky snow-monster that's been terrorizing the northern villages don't insist on going to Arabia and setting up a caravan-business
>>
File: tMBp4Uo.jpg (304KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
tMBp4Uo.jpg
304KB, 500x572px
>>51054501
Make sure you know ALL the rules for your character and that you are completely prepared for the game.

as a DM i have this one player who plays spellcasters, but is never prepared. He'll show up to Session 1, and we have a Session 0 for prep, and we'll be in combat and then shit falls apart

>His turn
Hold on, i'm gonna cast a spell
>Turns to his spellcasting character sheet page
>stunned look on his face
>looks up
Wait...what spells do I have prepared?
>Been playing D&D with this guy for years
>Eventually pick some spells real quick
>Resume
Okay I cast sleep!
>Me
And how does sleep work?
>Him
I do not know...
But mostly just be prepared as fuck.
>Example
If you wanted to play a grappling character, maybe type out and print on a little card the rules for grappling and for contesting a grapple so that the DM doesn't have to manage that shit.
>You
I grapple the orc! So I make a blah blah, and the orc has to make a blah blah to contest it.
>DM
Easy enough
>You
Then every turn he's grappled, if he wants to escape we have to both roll blah blah or blah blah to see if the grapple continues

Instead of spending 5 minutes looking over rules and shit which breaks momentum.

Whenever I am a player I go to https://www.dnd-spells.com/ and make a spellbook for my character and print out all my spells onto cards. I would much rather consult 2-5 pages of spells infront of me than navigating through the PHB every time I want to cast something complex.
Also, know which numbers do what. As both a player and DM i hate it when players are like "okay i roll the d20. I got a 15...and which number do I add again?"
Literally just explained this last round.
I feel like i've had to explain what proficiency is every session.

This is one of the reason i really liked 4e. Everything was compartmentalized so well. I one time printed out all of my powers on cardstock, cut them up and literally played the game with a hand of cards. It was fantastically quick and streamlined.
>>
Let's say I want to make my own RPG system to fix the problems I have with DnD.

But let's also say I'm one of those retarded people who say stuff like that but have never played any system other than DnD.

What systems would you recommend me to try to get an idea for what options other than DnD 5e exist?
>>
How do i rule strangulation? How many turns before they start dying?
>>
Anyone here playing a Sorcerer? My DM and I think they seem kinda lackluster, but we've never played them ourselves. Anyone feel this way? or are they fun?
>>
>>51054659

You could use the rules for drowning.
>>
>>51053815
Bard and cleric both have overpowered and underpowered elements.

The other two nobody would actually play the options presented are that boring.
>>
>>51054659
Suffocating
A creature can hold its breath for a number of minutes equal to 1 + its Constitution modifier (minimum of 30 seconds).
When a creature runs out of breath, it can survive for a number of rounds equal to its Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). At the start of its next turn, it drops to 0 hit points and is dying.

So it depends whether or not the victim had a chance to hold their breath.
>>
>>51054687
>>51054717
1+con mod minutes seems EXTREMELY high for in combat if its only going to take 1 success at a strength check to break it. Assuming they wouldn't be holding their breath beforehand, would I just skip to number of rounds equal to its con mod? That also seems super deadly, would 1+con mod be a good middle ground?
>>
>>51054501
Ask before rolling. "Would I know anything about these? Would that be an arcana check?" instead of "PERSUASION!". Skills aren't like buttons you press on an MMO, ideally you describe your action and the DM tells you which skill is applicable or whether you need to roll at all. Of course this doesn't apply to obvious stuff like attacking.

I recommend filling out and printing static things on your character sheet each level, and leaving stuff that changes (XP, current HP, inventory, resources) to be filled out in pencil.

Stuff that you can prepare beforehand to save time during play:

Know your class abilities and the mechanics they interact with. If you're a spellcaster, read your spells both before the session and before you announce casting them. Also, remember to decide prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Remember to tick off a spell slot as soon as you cast something (I just use tally marks, like III). Mark down next to your spells which require concentration (C), which can be cast as rituals (R) and possibly the casting time (A, B, 1min, 1h).

It may also be helpful to summarize your class feature's mechanics on your sheet, as well as the number of times you can use them, for example:

>Channel Divinity (__/2 uses per rest)
>Channel Divinity - Turn Undead:
>Undead that can see/hear within 30', WIS save or turned for 1 min/until takes damage. Must move away and can only Dash or Dodge. Destroys CR½ and lower.

The __ is for tallying remaining uses in pencil. I'd use it for any resources whether you're a battlemaster, paladin or sorcerer.

>>51054613
>not sleeping in your armor
Soft padding + a hard shell to keep you from feeling rocks and cones. What could be more comfy?
>>
>>51054659
Use hp damage. It's faster and more consistent.
>>
>>51054754
>>51054749
Con mod rounds then unconscious, then 3d6 per round sound fair? Not intending this to be a constant thing, more for enemies to potentially use against the players.
>>
>>51054649
what if he railroading hard? Like trying to make DMPC seem awesome (at the expense of everybody else fun)
>>
>>51054833
Tell him not to use DMPCs.
>>
Why aren't there digital "player guides" to published campaigns?

Summarizing the setting, tone, etc of the campaign for players who aren't familiar with it.
>>
>>51054749
>>51054786
If you're strangling him, they've ran out of breath. So Con mod rounds (minimum 1) before dropping to 0 HP, then 1 death save failure per round. But obviously you gotta manage to strangle then first, which should probably be some sort of grapple.
>>
>>51054923
Immediate 0 hp seems really strong, unconscious with high gradual damage seems fairer, for use for and against the party. An additional grapple check after they are already grappled seems fair, and would be how I run it.
>>
>>51054833
Boy oh boy have I had that happen.

First session and DM walks us into this tavern where we meet a grumpy dwarf bouncer. Our dragonborn barb challenges him to a contest of strength, to prove he is good enough to help the dwarf's boss. but he just uppercuts our barb who instantly goes to the ground, and prohibits his entry. Yeah, the DM almost killed his own plot hook, the only one we had.

But we decided to play along, and let me tell you, it wasn't fun. At every turn we were worried this bitchy dwarf would come kill us, for any real or imaginary slight. I'm glad I left that DM.
>>
>>51054659
Carotid sinus reflex death is sometimes considered a mechanism of death in cases of strangulation, but it remains highly disputed. The reported time from application to unconsciousness varies from 7–14 seconds if effectively applied to one minute in other cases, with death occurring minutes after unconsciousness.

From Wikipedia, so take that with a grain of salt i guess. I mean, i trust Wikipedia but i guess there is a stigma or something.

So I would probably run it as a grapple.
I would have the strangler require concentration while performing this special grapple and the target is not totally restrained, so they can make attacks against him.

>Strangle attempt succeeds
I would make the target beable to make an attack, then make 2 saving throws each turn. 1 death saving throw and 1 constitution saving throw. Then rule it like a regular Death Save, 3 successes before 3 failures. If the target succeeds on all his death saves but fails his con saves, i would just make him pass out.

If he succeeds both, maybe he auto-succeeds getting out of the strangle-grapple?
>>
>>51054898
Tbh the setting is in SCAG etc., and the tone depends on players/DM
>>
>>51054967
>1 constest to grapple
>1 more contest to begin strangulation
>X rounds with more contests before dropping to 0

Seems already pretty fair to me. Only nerf I'd possibly do would be to have the strangler make a pure Strength check instead of Athletics.
>>
>>51054833

Talk to him while the game isn't in session or when you're having a break for snacks/dinner/whatever, consider talking to the other players individually to see if they feel the same way you do, if they do have them all join you in confronting the GM about it, no GM wants to run a game where the players aren't having fun, but complaining about it right in the middle of a game will just lead to hurt feelings.
>>
File: monkey.jpg (122KB, 634x876px) Image search: [Google]
monkey.jpg
122KB, 634x876px
>>51054516
Really makes you think
>>
>>51051858
For the post you responded to, the dragonmarked houses are covered best in the 3.5 Eberron Campaign Setting and the book Dragonmarked.

Secrets of Xen'drik is full of fun adventure set pieces that I still use.
>>
>>51053369
The feat doesn't actually say that for Lucky points used on attacks made against you.
>>
What one mechanic would you add or remove?
>>
Thinking about throwing a Gauth at my party (lvl 5), but does anyone else think that it has relatively low HP? I fear the martials in my party will tear through it like butter.
>>
>>51055348
Adjust its HP after the first round?
>>
>>51055291

Counterspells :^)
>>
>>51055374
I counterspell your counterspell's remove
>>
>>51055291
Probably the d20.
>>
Does anyone have that redone wot4e?
>>
How badly would I be fucking myself by going dual scimitars on a paladin?
>>
As a DM, how can I become better at describing and fleshing out things that I haven't rehearsed or planned?

Every time an encounter starts that I didn't expect or the players start travelling somewhere I didn't expect them to or try to find an npc I didn't pre-create, I default to really generic boring things. Picture square/rectangular/circular flat rooms for encounters or every npc is a human with no extra features unless the players ask me a question that prompts something interesting to come up
>>
File: disshit.gif (949KB, 243x339px) Image search: [Google]
disshit.gif
949KB, 243x339px
>>51055437
Anon, just play a sorcerer. A sorcerer is much more powerful when you consider at late level for a caster the primary thing that threatens you is another caster and sorcerers are GREAT at fighting another caster.

>MFW when subtle counter-spell
>MFW when dispel magic and then cantrip attack.
>>
>>51050614
>>51053833

Tomb of Horrors is a module in an older style, frankly dating back before 2e D&D. The module isn't about the characters adventuring, it's about the players vs. the tomb. There's little room for roleplay, not much focus on NPCs, character development, or plot - just a shit ton of traps and treasure.
>>
>>51050952
Matt Colville is the best though
>>
>>51055663
Make a bunch of generic encounters and put them aside, then fluff then accordingly.

Like Madlibs. Make 5-10 NPCs, like:

>Brendlin of ____. Ambitious and arrogant, with little patience for those she sees as beneath her, but fundamentally a good person who will do the right thing - if she's not too stubborn to see it. Blonde hair, neck length, scar over her right eye. Wants to avenge her mother's killer, but because of his position as _____, buries it inside - however he antipathy could be brought to the surface by the right proposal. Combat stats: XXX.

Give them a personality, status/position, appearance, plot hook, combat stats if necessary. Leave the specifics blank or vague.

Do the same thing with combat areas. A given ruined temple can become a desert, forest, or underwater setting with surface changes. A magically created gorge full of monsters drawn by the lingering magic can be placed anywhere. Same with towns.
>>
>>51055609
>3 attacks for 3d6+10 (20.5)
vs
>2 attacks for 4d6+10 rerolling 1's and 2's (26.66)

It's closer before the paladin gets second attack if its a low level adventure
>2 attacks for 2d6+3 (10)
vs
>1 attack for 2d6+3 rerolling 1's and 2's (11.33)
>>
>>51055663
Relax, read, run.

Relax in game. Stress makes it harder to think, and results in you second guessing yourself.

Read fun books, it'll expand your vocabulary and make you familiar with good prose.

Run (actually lift, but I had a three Rs thing going). Exercise is good for the mind.
>>
>>51054986
Our DM introduced 3 super powerful magical weapons that were very important to the plot, and a major focus of the campaign.
Plot twist:
They were only wield-able by his edgy mysterious tomboy anime chick NPC.
>>
>>51055667
But nowhere does RAW say that subtle spells can't be counterspelled.

Even though counterspell's trigger is "when you see a creature casting a spell", anon said that you can somehow see a spell being cast even if there are no somatic components, so it must be true.
>>
>>51050668
Hunter with a high Charisma, and the Inspiring Leader feat.
>>
>>51055609
But is it bad enough to be significantly bad? If I wait for crits to smite, won't the doubled smite dice make up for the lost damage somewhat?
>>
>>51055291
I would probably insert powers into 5e in some way. I just think they allowed for more Roleplaying in Combat, atleast for martials, because it was more than "I hit it with my hammer"
Alot of it was kind of super-power-ish. Maybe I would use more tame effects and wording.

I'd probably make it so when you play a class who has a fighting style, you gain access to non-class specific Powers based on that fighting style. Basically Cantrips for Martials.

I just don't find it fun to play a Barbarian and just swing my great axe at an enemy each turn, regardless of how many dice i get to roll and how much damage i get to do. I guess Open Hand Monk and Battlemaster have some cool martial options. I would just want to spread that to every class that focuses of Martial stuff I guess.

Also i would try and make the text for spells more efficient. I don't care if it ends up sounding Gamey. If your biggest complaint about an edition of D&D is that the manner of how abilities are explained bothers you, then you are a cunt and I wouldn't play D&D with you anyways.
>>
>>51055667
After playing 5e for a while now I'm convinced.

Just like in 3.5e, 5e late game is just a battle between who rolls initiative higher wins.
>>
>>51050635
>dragonmarks are explicitly about magic that can create useful things.
Not all dragonmarks create things, they're just marketable. The Mark of Death may or may not have been marketable, which may, either way, explain why it's died out.
>>
>>51055609
It's trading better chance to hit for less damage. If you want to smite like crazy go ahead, which you should be doing cause you are a paladin.

It's all good, though I would go for dual battle axes with dual wielder feat for that good damage. Though if you are Dex, I assume twin rapiers are fine.
>>
>>51055913
fuck
>>51055787
>>
>>51055978
Meh, the dual wielding feat isn't very good. It's only 1 more damage per hit. The AC is nice though.
>>
File: 1478893656439.jpg (652KB, 1400x1628px) Image search: [Google]
1478893656439.jpg
652KB, 1400x1628px
Hello /5eg/, I've come seeking aid.

I've finally been invited to partake in a 5e game, and make hopefully be able to someday shake off the oppressive yoke of Pathfinder. And since I am getting into this system, I would like to know what you consider to be essential things for new people getting into the system to know, such as known trap options and good 3pp content and the like. The game I'll be getting into is a Thieves/Hiest style game, and I was planning on making a Herbert West style Wizard, so any advice you guys might have would be most appreciated
>>
>>51056038
All you need is to read the PHB
possibly the new subclasses in Sword Coast Adventurers' Guide, but I think you'll want one of the PHB wizard schools
>>
>>51056038
> Trap option
Only 4 Elemental Monk and PHB Ranger. The latter got fixed in Unearthed Arcana.
>>
>>51055609
>>51055787
>>51055913
Just realized that there's a couple spells that proc on every hit that can close the damage gap a bit: Divine Favor and Crusader's Mantle
>>
>>51055972
It died out because they were exterminated to the last. None of the true marks are outright destructive. Some reverse lich on Aerenal probably knows what the mark of death did, but they've kept quiet about it. It's still an interesting train of thought to think what the mark could have done that was a useful force for civilization.
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 710x396px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 710x396px
>Gourmand- You have mastered a variety of special recipes, allowing you to prepare exotic dishes with useful effects.

THAT'S IT!
>>
>>51051220
>reverse-falling
Rising? Soaring? Climbing? Flying?

In any case, you are not a good person, but your New Year's Resolution is to be a paladin, basically.

>>51051712
>That's what the reload property means, right?
In case this wasn't addressed, the Reload property from the DMG needs a number. That's how many attacks you can make with the weapon before you need to take an action to reload it.

>>51051954
Yes, it does stop that. "Only fire one" means that's all you can do with that action. Why? Because I said so. Also because of how long it takes to load the weapon when you choose to fire it, but mainly because I say so.

>>51052217
>The loading property can be bypassed by the Crossbow Expert feat
Only for crossbows.

>>51053317
Who's hating? It's not all of them, just the Tomb of Horrors.

>>51054786
>more for enemies to potentially use against the players.
Definitely use HP damage+grapple+maybe restrained, depending on the creature doing it.

>>51055787
After level 11, it's 3 atttacks dealing 3d6+3d8+10 (34) vs 2 attacks dealing 2d6+2d8+10 rerolling1's and 2's (35.66~), so if you just want to go Defensive style in the first place, it can be one of your options but you still might want to go sword and board for more defense or pike for reach or greatsword to use your bonus action on spells.
>>
>>51055291
Wild magic as a class archetype
>>
>>51056400
Divine favor use somatic component. You can't cast it while dual wielding. Unless you pay warcaster feat tax.
>>
>>51055787
>inb4 no one plays past level 8
Improved Divine Smite helps close the gap too.

>3d6+3d8+10=34 avg
>4d6+2d8+10 rerolling 1s and 2s on d6s = 35.66 avg
>>
>>51056400
It's a trade off though due to the Concentration nature of it.
Do you take and cast DF for a possible +4d4 total in a round assuming all hits land.
Or do you go Bless for your concentration and give three folks in your party (including yourself) an extra +1d4 to land the shots and possible do more damage in the first place?
>>
>>51056428
> trying to reinvent the wheel
> get angry when people call him out on it
> trying to abuse DM right when the player use his stupid design OP weapon clerverly within the rule

Redflag Redflag!
>>
>>51056489
Oh yeah, bless works on every attack too
>>
>>51056413
Mark of Death may have been destructive. The ability to kill things with magic can be very useful for creating a civilization when the wilds are as dangerous as in D&D. But then when the wilds are tamed, they would become a liability. Much like high level adventurers, which are also suspiciously absent. Plenty of dragons around though.
>>
>>51056520
The author of Eberron has explicitly said it wasn't destructive, but he intentionally never defined the exact purpose of the mark.
>>
Alright, 5eg, what do you think of the magic items in my campaign so far? Characters are level 4, and in possession of all of these.
>>
>>51056038
Since the math is squished vertically, numbers matter a lot. The encounter CR calculators take this into account, so use them at least at first for your encounter building to get a sense of how lots of low level enemies can still challenge a high level party.
Levels 1 and 2 are optional for getting used to the system, and are quite lethal. A goblin can crit the wizard and one shot them.
There's no "magic mart" assumptions, so while you're not prohibited from having them, the game kinda assumes most magic shit will come from loot, not buying.
In PF terms, everything is low tier 2 to high tier 4. There's differences, sure, but they're not as severe.
For a heist style game, the great thing about this edition is you could just have every player come from the criminal background (a half fluff half crunch system that says what you did before you became an adventurer) and they'd all get proficiency in deception and stealth, making even the fighter or barbarian a lot more useful outside of a straight fight.
As far as Herbert West goes, there's not really an alchemist yet, but the necromancer subclass for wizard gives you the ability to make more and better undead from create undead once you hit level 6.
>>
>>51056533
I thought some of the aberrant marks were destructive though just going off memory. Anyway, creating powerful undead could be another thing, or possibly countering the creation of undead, like gentle repose does, leading up to resurrection. Or he could be wrong. People like to accuse creators of that.
>>
>>51056499
>The Loading property is now something I've invented.
>You aren't a munchkin for trying to talk your way around it instead of playing the game as written or honestly asking for some leeway from your DM.

>MFW I backspaced one too many times and fucked up my post.
>>
>>51051954
>>51056428
>>51056499
Just specify that the rope is attached to the gun, so the movement limit only applies while the gun is in the player's possession. Or give it the property Reload 1. Boom, problem solved.

Also, I'd say one round to reload the harpoon and one to reload the rope.
>>
>>51056533

Wasn't one of the 4e Epic Destinies becoming an heir to the Mark of Death?
>>
>>51056038
>such as known trap options and good 3pp content

There are none of either
>>
File: r8h8.png (49KB, 637x434px) Image search: [Google]
r8h8.png
49KB, 637x434px
>>51056569
I'm an idiot. Pic related.
>>
>>51056628
"True" and "aberrant" are distinct divides between marks. The mark of death was a true dragonmark. It followed the rules of the other true dragonmarks.

It had a mostly uniform appearance. It appeared within a specific bloodline. It had some purpose that could be used to build an economy around.

The aberrant marks are the anti-thesis of the true dragonmarks. They have no structure. They cross bloodlines and racial lines. They don't have a uniform look. They destroy, cause insanity, spread disease, etc.

>>51056654
I'd have to look. I haven't looked at 4e Eberron that hard.
>>
>>51056664
>d3
>>
>>51056712
>>d3
Roll a d6. 1-2 are 1, 3-4 are 2, 5-6 are 3.
>>
>>51056730
>d
>3
>>
File: d3.jpg (28KB, 390x390px) Image search: [Google]
d3.jpg
28KB, 390x390px
>>51056712
Bruh, you don't even have one of these?
>>
>>51056664
What 1 fucking increment?
>>
>>51056654
If it is, that's not in the 4e Eberron Player's Guide.

I can find:
Champion of Prophecy
Dispossessed Champion
Mourning Savior
Sublime Flame

None mention the mark of death.
>>
>>51056753
It can change form by one increment along the order: tube > spear > pike. I'll reword it.
>>
>>51052276
what did he mean by this
>>
>>51056809
Penalties start at 30% max load, I guess. That's not terribly hardcore. My houserule encumbrance is nicer, with penalties starting at 50%.
>>
File: Foolish Pleb.jpg (78KB, 960x931px) Image search: [Google]
Foolish Pleb.jpg
78KB, 960x931px
>>51051589
>I hate the stupid look on my DM's face when I ask about UA stuff

Your DM sounds like a bad DM.
>>
How do I run curse of strahd without the tarokka deck?
>>
>>51056892
Read the book. It tells you how to.
>>
>>51056781

Yeah, I fucked up. There IS an epic destiny that is Heir of Siberys. I was thinking of that one.
>>
File: seen some shit.png (135KB, 372x528px) Image search: [Google]
seen some shit.png
135KB, 372x528px
>>51051890
> 3 dicks in the ass is too intimate for me, personally. I find 6 dicks in the ass to be my just about right number, but 5 dicks in the ass is just fine.

> I've been able to handle 8 dicks in the ass, did 10 dicks in the ass once and that just was too much.
>>
>>51051561
wait, there's another Ranger coming out? What? Why? They already released 2 Ranger UAs.
>>
>DM lost mines of phandelver
>everyone has a great time
>start a new campaign of my own
>group dissolves after first session, two people say they have no interest in DnD ever again

Welp
>>
Any specific advice you guys have for Wave Echo Cave / LMoP end dungeon?

I feel like the rogue is just going to stealth in and auto-crit the villain and that will be just it, unrewarding as fuck.
>>
>>51056985
UAs aren't real

They're gonna shit out rangers until the best one gets published officially at some point (possibly never)
>>
>>51056892
also, is there any digital alternative to the physical cards, besides printing them out?
>>51056900
thanks
>>
>>51057002
Okay, so for one thing, this isn't Skyrim and stealth isn't invisibility
>>
>>51057048
the guy's busy. His passive perception isn't that high. Also the group does have Invis spell at hand.
>>
>>51056951
Is this a Sparrow piece?
>>
>>51057065
If you're that worried about it then play the villain smart. Give him some contingencies like an Alarm spell or something.
>>
>>51056994
Pick yourself up, find a new group, and try again, maybe with a published adventure. May I ask what you ran on your own?
>>
>>51056994
Jesus anon, what did you do?
>>
>>51051561
>Expanded downtime rules
Is it wrong that I'm most excited about this
>>
Hey dows someone know a good (and free) tool to draw general maps, towns and dungons? i tired with hand but i guess i dont have talent for that xD
>>
>>51057111
he has some people waiting a bit outside, not too close. If the guards are killed silently he won't notice but I'll look at some traps/spells
>>
>>51057002
What is the villian? Can he set up the alarm spell?
>>
>>51057130
I've heard good things about Inkarnate.
>>
>>51057161
a drow wizard with some giant spider and Bugbear guardians. Has two bugbear and a Doppelgänger guardian outside his chamber too.
>>
>>51056930
I had to search for that because I was surprised 4e didn't convert it in an official publication.

Why is something as unique to the setting as Heir of Siberys in a dragon magazine article?
>>
>>51057002
Are the enemies aware of adventurers in the area? If so, they patrol and set extra traps. If not, set extra traps anyway.
Fill an area with cobwebs. Have the NPCs ignore it, but notice if they're brushed aside.
Noisemaker traps
Dogs. Fucking dogs have an 18 Passive Perception when it comes to hearing or smelling people.
Water. Extra water in the cave makes noise and reveals invisible creatures.
>>
So I feel like this gets asked about once a thread but I've yet to see an actual answer.

What's the "best" way to make a meaty Unarmed fighter only using official rules (Including UAs)?

Seems to me to be either

>Bear Barbarian with Tavern Brawler, hope your DM lets you fluff gauntlets as one handed weapons
>Battlemaster doing the same
>Monk with the Tough feat and focusing more on STR and CON than what they actually should be using (This one probably wouldn't work)
>>
File: Dirgesinger.jpg (69KB, 400x375px) Image search: [Google]
Dirgesinger.jpg
69KB, 400x375px
Would a lore bard be the best way to make a dirge singer in 5e? I refluff cutting word and vicious mockery as gloomy and nihilistic chants and take animate dead and some other necromancy spell as my magical secrets?
>>
>>51057197
>>51057111
>>51057065
And, let's face it, the party doesn't know which room he's in so they're gonna bump into a few other messes along the way. Random encounters keep happening (including if/when they rest) and even if patrols don't find the players they can find the bodies they've left. So they might get word of the players.

Also the rogue can't expect to just sneak through the entire dungeon looking for the boss. That's splitting the party and that never ends well.

You can also roll perception sometimes instead of using the passive?
>>
>>51056664
Does the spear still require concentration?
Would be the best thing there since it's like a long ranged 'might work' net that deals damage.

On one hand, it's balanced. Nothing gamebreaking. Most items actually require a bit of thought to use rather than being, say, '+1 AC' or '+1 to hit always' or 'deals more damage'.

On the other hand, most of those items have almost solely combat purposes. I find 'cold weather resistance' doesn't tend to crop up much and doesn't tend to be too exciting anyway, produce flame is something most casters could replicate and while a changing tube-spear-pike is a nice idea I wouldn't say there are any awfully good uses for it except maybe using it as a portable 10-foot-pole.

Personally never found bags of holding to be awfully interesting, despite everyone's insistance that you always have one. They're mostly there to explode with portable holes or to make strength people less required in the case you do have strict encumberance rules.

I guess the tattoo lock might be up to something. It's still not clear what it does from the description, but it sounds like it could do a thing. There's nothing quite alchemy jug-tier fun, but then again it's only level 4, I wouldn't expect crazy jugs yet.
>>
File: 1455490610452.jpg (53KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
1455490610452.jpg
53KB, 400x240px
>>51057242
>not taking counterspell
>>
>>51052987
It really wouldn't be hard to update to 5e. I'm certain someone has done it before and posted their conversion guide to the Internet.

Stop being lazy.
>>
>>51050508
2017 resolution anon from a previous thread, is the universe still the same universe as 3.5 (which I have the most experience in lore wise)? If so is there something somewhere that explains all the changes that happened in the lore between 3.5-4e-5e? I know between 3.5 and 4e my boy Nerull got killed off and replaced with the Raven Queen along with meteors crashing and bringing the Dragonborn into the setting among other things.
>>
>>51057337

Last time I looked (A few months ago) the only part I could find a conversion for on the internet was like, the first few pages of the module.

And I am, in fact, too lazy to do it myself.
>>
>>51050644
Raggold Helmhelm......yep
>>
>>51053419
If you write something up, please post it to /tg/

My wife has been wanting to play Expedition to the Barrier Peaks for quite some time
>>
>>51057301
The spear does not require concentration.

The gloves are nice, since we only have 1 and 1/3 casters in the group, so they add a bit more magic. The ranger uses his to cook on the go, without making a campfire.

The main idea of the lock is that you can conceal the key tattoo anywhere on your body, it can't be dropped, and it can't be pickpocketed. I got the idea from 3.5 assassin spell that did the same thing with a weapon.
>>
>>51057240
I'll throw in some traps and yes some 4E minion rule patrols.

The corridor should have cobwebs so the spiders would know at the very least and hide.

Dog doesn't thematically make sense here but it could be some other animal. Maybe even a familiar.

>>51057245
The villain part will probably happen in the 3rd session, it is a big fuckign cave/dungeon. They'll be very depleted by that time.

I roll Perception if the guy would be looking for something or specifically keeping an eye out, like the PC rule.
>>
>>51057430
Is it just a lock, though? Does it even lock anything?
>>
File: mike flask.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
mike flask.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>51052987
I mean, I have the entire campaign converted to 5e over Roll20... Not official, but
>>
File: 1448223132034.jpg (1MB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1448223132034.jpg
1MB, 900x900px
>>51053831
"Someone you were nice to a long time ago shows up to offer help in an hour of need!"

Your players will love it, if used very sparingly. Especially if their hero didn't seem grateful for the party's help at the time.

"I'm not helping you because I like you or a-anything, baka, I just owe you for earlier!"

I'm stoned out of my fuckin gourd right now
>>
>>51057460
>The corridor should have cobwebs so the spiders would know at the very least and hide.
>Dog doesn't thematically make sense here but it could be some other animal. Maybe even a familiar.
Spiders can sense any creature that's in contact with their web. Make the webs big enough, and invisible rogues oneshotting the boss are the least of your worries.

>>51057479
Yeah, I guess it's just a lock. You can put it wherever you want. Our sorcerer has it on his chest of personal stuff.
>>
I always hear that Sorcerer is "Wizard but worse". With that said, what's the "best" way to play Sorcerer?

UA Shadow Sorcerer seems like it could be good for a somewhat tanky full caster (Or at least as much as a class with a d6 hit die can be)
>>
>>51057525
>"Someone you were nice to a long time ago shows up to offer help in an hour of need!"
I honestly can't wait to use this. My players befriended a troll a while ago, and if they ever get in some deep shit, he may show up to help.
>>
File: absolutelsa disgusting.jpg (155KB, 956x856px) Image search: [Google]
absolutelsa disgusting.jpg
155KB, 956x856px
>>51054330
>>
>>51057495

pls gib
>>
>>51054364
>>51057560
fuck off NPC classes a best
>>
>>51057495
Eh, the glasstaff already had a familiar on lookout, bit boring to use it twice
>>
How bullshit would it be for sorcerers (either an archtype or just in general) to get and cast evocations one spell slot lower to a minimum of one? I want to make them blastier than wizards, who should be utility and battlefield management, but I feel that such a feature is way too damn strong.
>>
Is EK any good on it's own? Somewhat new and don't want to go multiclassing on my first character.
>>
>>51057675
Make sorc cantrips level faster and give them more blasty ones
>>
>>51056038
>such as known trap options
Bladelock
4 elements monk
Non-UA ranger, especially beastmaster.
None are anywhere near as awful as trap options in 3.0 and its derivative games but you won't have very much fun with em.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZHzEjiHvtDItZE2ixfoYwqi7brTO-ag8uBJndE5saro/edit
>>
>>51057675
No jesus christ
>>
>>51057702
I feel like to go with cantrips would encroach too much on warlocks narrow turf. All else they got is at will shit.
>>51057718
Yeah, I thought so. There's got to be something to touch them up a bit. Should I just rip spells and powers from earlier editions and just give each archtype a different list of unique to 5e spells?
>>
>>51057706
>trap options in 3.0
Played a lot of 3.5, but never got into the community stuff. What are some things that are considered trap options?
>>
>>51057746
5 first level slots.
Spend a sorc point to add a damage die to an attack spell.
Roll a d20 for every 1st level evocation spell cast. On a 20, no spell slot consumed.
>>
>>51057682
EK is great for those that want a bit of magic with the same martial prowess of the fighter.
Shield, Mirror Image, Haste. Delicious.

Troll wizards by making one of your 3rd level spell selections Counter Spell.
Nothing tickles my funny bone more than a Fighter counter spelling a Wizard.
>>
>>51057702
There's too many ways to get any cantrip you want as other classes.
>>
>>51057746
>Should I just rip spells and powers from earlier editions and just give each archtype a different list of unique to 5e spells?
Just to clarify, when I say this I mean like paladin oath spells as a bonus.
>>
What are good defensive spells any wizard should have?
>>
How do you answer a question when you "break the rules" as a DM, but the npc in particular is actually lying to them? For example, an NPC is currently masquerading as weak, and powerless and is being escorted by the party. Turns out, he is actually a Sorceror trying to lure the party in for a sacrifice. He uses a "ring of invisibility" (a normal ring, he just casts invisibility with subtle spell) which he rubs to go invisible. One time, in a panic he turned invisible without touching the ring, which was supposed to be a hint. However one of my players went full rules lawyer on me. How do I deal with that without saying "Hes fucking lying to you."
>>
I am ready for Lemmy's Wild Ride
>>
>>51057817
Shield, Counterspell, Mirror Image (no concentration)
>>
You guys know of anywhere i can find all the monster`s manual art? preferably a .rar or something like the one we have on the mega throve
>>
>>51055609
>>51055787
>>51056469
>>51056489
Hmm, it's looking pretty shit, I wonder if I could fluff my off-hand weapon as a shield somehow...

Or is there some other class that would let me play a swashbuckling holy knight?
>>
>>51057817
Misty step, counterspell for the whole party, shield.
>>
>>51057891

He serves canned peaches and runs a whorehouse?
>>
What is best Bard? Satire seems p gud.
>>
>>51057553
Wizard goes with lots of spells for every situation.
Warlock goes with at-will invocations and good cantrips for some reliable versatility.
Sorcerer should be the magical shotgun of the party that can do less than either but is super specialized into fucking your mouth and cracking shit open.

Sorcerer does not get any unique spells at all. Sorcerer metamagics are okay but limited. Sorcerer gets, at level 20, as many spells known as a level 8 wizard who hasn't found any additional spells.
>>
>>51057957

Deadwood?
>>
>>51057919
When you say Swashbuckling you mean a Finesse weapon with DEX right?

I've got a dozen Gish builds but they all rely on either GWM or SS.
>>
>>51057882
You do exactly the same thing you do when a player catches any mistake you made. Double down and act like it was intentional. Say something like "Yes, that is odd, isn't it?"
>>
>>51057882
You can't be that subtle. You just, you can't. You're trying to be so subtle that it falls into the realm where it looks like an oversight, the realm where your players have trained themselves to suspend their disbelief.

You should've come out and said "Frodo, you happen to notice he went invisible without touching the ring". Or, if you wanted there to a be a chance to miss the event, base it on passive perception or whether they ask about it or something.

If you decided to give this clue, you must've considered how the NPC would respond to the PCs asking angry questions (most PCs, upon learning of even a minor deception, tend towards absolute and undying distrust). This "clue" had a very high likelihood of completely shattering the deception, which you tried to mitigate by making the clue subtle. That's what got you in trouble.

Granted your player sounds like he might be an asshole, but it's a one sided account.
>>
File: PZO1013-PriestOfNorgorber.jpg (179KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PZO1013-PriestOfNorgorber.jpg
179KB, 1000x1000px
Best way to make a cultist style character?

>Criminal Background
>Variant Human
>Magical Initiate (Thautmaturgy, Guidance, Shield of Faith)
>Fiend Warlock

Thoughts?
>>
>>51057882
vague encouragement?

"Interesting that you should observe that"
"Funny that"
"The rules do say that, don't they?"
etc.
>>
>>51057553
The most powerful sorcerer ability is Twin Spell. It's the best available way to bend the concentration rules. Learn a ton of utility and disabling spells like Invisibility, Fly, Haste, Polymorph, and Hold Monster and twin them. Do not do the thing every sorcerer player does and take nothing but fire spells. It's not as fun as it sounds. Firebolt and Fireball are the only fire spells you'll ever need.
>>
>>51056038
that picture is adorable, specifically the helpful slime-thing
>>
>>51058042
There are several other clues, though this was an early one in their travels. They already have a slight distrust of him, this was just another nudge towards the truth. Not every clue is this subtle this was just something I threw in as a bone to see who was listening.
>>
>>51057553
Keeping in mind this is all theory, I may be talking complete shit here:

Most powerful is definietely Wild magic + a DM that let's you roll every time. Advantage on everything.

As mentioned, sorcs aren't really versatile, you do one thing and you do it damn well.
>>
I want to play a Good Stupid character.

Like a lawful stupid character, but instead of bullheaded adherence to the law/a code, I want to bullheadedly adhere to assuming the best of everyone. The BBE Lich? He's probably just having a bad day, we just need to *talk* to him and we can resolve our differences.

Tips for doing this without annoying my group, or should I abandon the idea?
>>
File: reaper-concept.jpg (15KB, 350x192px) Image search: [Google]
reaper-concept.jpg
15KB, 350x192px
What do you think of this as a rough character idea.

>Satire Bard
>Your typical edgy "badass" adventurer
>Tries too hard and ends up looping back around into being ridiculous and the butt of reality's jokes (Dramatically poses after killing an ogre sheathing their katana, has ogre fall on them because they were trying to be cool instead of fucking moving, that sort of thing)
>>
>>51053289
I am being mean to you

Of course.

From the DMG, just apply this template to your character:

+2 Dex, -4 Int, -4 Cha, Vulnerable to bludgeoning damage, immune to poison and exhaustion, Darkvision, can't speak.

Your party will love you.

ask your dm, they're the only one that can give you a proper answer, expect a "no"
>>
>>51058239
Seems like you just made Berserker viable, good job anon.
>>
>>51058108
Sorcerers kind of have to be built for their campaigns. Running an intrigue campaign right now and one of the players uses subtle spell to secretly in the middle of conversations.

Wizards don't have that issue as much. They can just pick up whatever they need to fit a campaign.
>>
>>51058141
>>51058222

Ask your DM, followed by your group ahead of time. If they say that sounds cool/fun/they'll work with it, you're good to go. Otherwise, you will be an annoyance
>>
>>51058018
Dex, yeah. Ideally two weapons but one could do as well.

I guess I'll just have to try and imagine the same feel and mobility with a shield...
>>
I'm building a dirge-singer style lore bard that's going to take animate dead and spirit guardian as his first magical secrets and focuses on debuff spells, but I'm having trouble picking a good couple of cantrips and 1st level spell for magic initiate at first level. I wanted to go either warlock or sorcerer for a CHA-based chill touch, but I'm not sure what the other spells should be. Also, what would a good dirge-singer background be? I was thinking haunted one.
>>
>>51058141
I played a good stupid bard that tried to save everyone. It was fun but you might have to draw the line somewhere because otherwise you will die from getting stabbed in the back after reviving that 17th assassin.
>>
>>51058332
Thaumaturgy and hex?
>>
>>51058332
don't take magic initiate. Instead pick up Inspriing leader. It works on Undead every short rest.
>>
>>51058350
You don't understand how magic initiate works, do you...
>>
>>51058378
Oh, thaumaturgy isn't on the warlock list? Thought they could get it. Well, hex at least is
>>
>>51058378
>>51058422
Ah, now I see, it's tiefling race feature where the thaumaturgy was coming, nvm
>>
Fitst time player here. How to be a good player?
>>
>>51058510
Have fun. Read the rules. Listen. Don't be a cunt. Have fun.
>>
How should I determine the DC/attack modifier for a spell scroll? I couldn't find anything in the DMG about it.
>>
>>51058510
Remember it's a group activity. Do things in a way that encourages your fellow players to do things with you, and find ways to support what the other players want to do.

Play along a bit with the DM's plot hooks.
>>
>>51054516
Do you spend a lot of your day thinking about wieners?
>>
>>51058510
Be prepared for your turn. Decide what you're going to do on your turn before it comes around. If you want to cast a spell or use a special ability, make sure you know exactly what it does in advance. Look it up if you have to. If it involves forcing an enemy to make a saving throw, know what the DC is. I can't tell you how many times this has been a problem at my table.
>>
>>51054167
>>51054417
>>51054388

I'm thinking maybe a sassy sorceress or Warlock would be cute. My character is a War Cleric of Bane, so I feel like sassy arcane girl contrasts well.
>>
>>51054517
Time travel ruins campaigns.
>>
>>51058562
SPELL SCROLL
Scroll, varies
A spell scroll bears the words of a single spell, written -
a mystical cipher. If the spell is on your class's spellli
you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spe
without having to provide any of the spell's componen "
Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible.
If the spell is on your class's spell list but of a higher
level than you can normally cast, you must make an
ability check using your spellcasting ability to determ·
whether you cast it successfully. The DC equals 10 +
spell's level. On a failed check, the spell disappears frothe scroll with no other effect.
Once the spell is cast, the words on the scroll fade,
and the scroll itself crumbles to dust.
The level of the spell on the scroll determines the
spell's saving throw DC and attack bonus, as well as th
scroll's rarity, as shown in the Spell Scroll table.
SPELL SCROLL
Spell Level Rarity Save DC Attack Bonus
Cantrip Common 13 +5
1st Common 13 +5
2nd Uncommon 13 +5
3rd Uncommon 15 +7
4th Rare 15 +7
5th Rare 17 +9
6th Very rare 17 +9
7th Very rare 18 +10
8th Very rare 18 +10
9th Legendary 19 +11
A wizard spell on a spell scroll can be copied just
as spells in spellbooks can be copied. When a spell is
copied from a spell scroll, the copier must succeed on
an Intelligence (Arcana) check with a DC equal to 10
+ the spell's level. If the check succeeds, the spell is
successfully copied. Whether the check ucceeds or
fa ils, the spell scroll is destroyed.
>>
File: here is some attention.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
here is some attention.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>51054597
Then come to enjoy suffering, child.
>>
>Elemental Adept
Who decided that this was worth a feat?
>>
>>51058741
Someone who forgot to add "you treat enemies with immunity to your element as having resistance to it"
>>
>>51058141
That's going to depend on the tone of the game, but if that's your whole character concept you're going to need more.

Plus, unless your game is very specifically going for drawn-out cringe humor, continuing to be like "Let's just talk!" instead of just fucking rolling initiative is going to get very annoying VERY quickly.

>>51058222
I have the same advice I gave the first guy: don't just make a character based on a one-note ideal, please. Also, in your case specifically, I have encountered roughly five times as many ironically edgy characters than I have actually edgy ones. Shadow the Hedgehog first showed up in 2001 and as far as I'm aware people have been making fun of him ever since then: your gag in its most modern iteration is roughly old enough to drive a car.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but I am saying that your idea is utterly unoriginal, and that if your GM's experiences have been anything like mine, I wouldn't expect them to be very enthusiastic about the idea.
>>
Should you be able to change fighting styles on a long rest?
>>
File: you tried.jpg (19KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
you tried.jpg
19KB, 500x475px
>>51054898
>Why aren't there digital "player guides" to published campaigns?

>Sword Coast Adventurers Guide
>Curse of Strahd Player's Guide
>Elemental Evil Player's Guide

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>51057002
There are many possible encounters along the way. They are certain to fight some, so you just have to make sure a few monsters survive and run back to the boss. My DM also beefed up the boss fight with a FUCKTON of giant spiders, but then again we were 6 level 5 players. Don't hesitate to givethe villain more HP if you think he's gonna die too easily even if you must increase his HP midfight. Don't worry, they won't notice unless you increase it too much. Anything between the avg HP (27) and max HP (48) should work.
>>
We're starting Storm King's Thunder at Level 5. What's a good class for it?
>>
>>51058871
No that's stupid
A fighting style is developed over years of practice
>>
Thoughts on hitting my party of 4th levels with some low-level cultists that happen to have a really nasty poison? Even if the cultists get wiped out, the plot hook is set.

>>51058871
Champion should. They don't get shit for features
>>
>>51058141
>>51058341
>>51058767
Being goody-goody and having mercy and wanting to spare intelligent humanoids I can get. But wanting to think the best of a fucking Evil being like a lich? That's just moronic.
>>
>>51055291
At my table, I've removed the "You die if you take damage in excess of your remaining HP" or whatever the fuck rule.

PCs still die outright with no Death Saving Throws from certain things like falling from a great height or dropping into acid, as per common sense.

I have added drug rules to my game.
>>
>>51057958
Lore is great for spell casting and breaking the game by fucking with NPCs rolls. Glamour is also pretty good with the ability to constantly give your allies extra health and constantly charm and Command enemies.
>>
>>51058957
>drug rules
please continue. i've introduced a hallucinogen, but nothing else so far
>>
>>51058874
>$30 book containing every last minutiae of the setting and two lists of the allowed character classes for playing adventurers league

Yes exactly what I meant
>>
>>51058957
>dropping into acid
Huh? Surely it takes a while to dissolve in acid. First you lose your skin, then your eyes, then muscles etc. So it could be possible to pull someone out and heal them. Of course they'd be freddy krueger'd permanently, but...
>>
>>51059002
then get it from the trove in OP and print the relevant bits and put them in binders
lazy shit
>>
What is the easiest spell caster to play?
>>
>>51059126
Dragon sorc. Red dragon. Take firebolt, mage armor, and magic missile.
>>
>>51059144
>dragon sorc
>mage armor

wat

Take Shield.
>>
>>51052465
Halflings dont reroll 1's on portent as its not an ability check, saving throw or attack roll. Its just a dice roll
>>
>>51058957
>falling from a great height
You'd be surprised. The raging 8th level fighter/barb in my party survived a 100ft high fall with 5 HP left.

But why change the massive damage rule? It's there to show overkill, and make PCs careful around vampires, wraiths, and stuff that lowers max HP.
>>
File: 1481858434609.jpg (31KB, 251x250px) Image search: [Google]
1481858434609.jpg
31KB, 251x250px
>Be newbie to P&P games
>Have bad DM
>Make character without a real backstory because dunno wtf am dong and group doesn't seem all that big on RP
>DM doesn't say shit about it
>Continue to play weird hollow puppet character
>DM is starting to tie in shit about "your past haunting you" and other RP insanity
>Be lost confus scard that my DM has written me a backstory that I know nothing about

Help? What do I say to my DM? I don't know him that well and he's kind of awkward AF
>>
>>51059172
WHAT IS EASIER
>>
>>51059318
Anything you don't state in your backstory is free rein for the DM to fill in.
>>
>>51059348
Mage Armor is a waste for dragon sorcs, take shield. It's super easy to use: when the DM asks you "does an 18 hit you?" you shout "NOT ANYMORE MOTHERFUCKER I CAST SHIELD" and boost your AC +5 for the round
>>
>>51059348
Dragon sorc (red)
firebolt, shocking grasp, light
magic missile, shield
>>
>>51059375
>tfw always make autistically detailed backstories
>They never seem to come up outside my own character motivations

I even leave chunks blank and explicitly state that they can tie that part into the plot so the character has an actual reason to follow the party aside from "muh loot" and they never use it.
>>
>>51059375
k but like when is this shit supposed to happen if your DM isn't special needs? I feel like there was a "lets talk about your character" moment that was missed
>>
>>51059393
It's time to stop posting.
>>
>>51059318
Ask your DM what you as a character should know about the backstory he has made. It's sort of your fault for not making a backstory, but he should at least inform you on the relevant aspects he plans to use before he tells the whole party.
Otherwise it's some trust nobody not even yourself shit.
>>
File: no fun.jpg (71KB, 448x473px) Image search: [Google]
no fun.jpg
71KB, 448x473px
>>51059466
Probably
>>
>>51059429
>>51059444
Shit DMs huh? You should have a session 0 to tie everyone in

But like, let's say your family was slaughtered by another family. What if that other family is vampires? Your character wouldn't know, and neither do you, until they turn up again during the game
>>
>>51059318
>>51059444
How do you know they're a bad DM if you're new to P&P?

You should seriously just fucking talk to them if it's bothering you. TRPGs are social games, so just grab the guy and tell him how you feel about your character's backstory
>>
>>51059477
>It's sort of your fault for not making a backstory
I didn't know it was going to be a thing. The group was described to me as "not typically RP heavy" but without context I guess it wasn't much of a hint

>>51059523
>You should have a session 0 to tie everyone in
Sadly I was invited to the group on session 1, not s0
I just kinda showed up, no real idea whats going on or why I'm even in Barovia
Only thing I've figured out about my character is that as an outlander BG with a 8 CHA, he tends to accidentally insult people and blunder into social faux pas regularly, which is a fun foil to our flirty and charming warlock party face

>>51059555
>How do you know they're a bad DM if you're new to P&P?
The group member who invited me (first time with this DM for him too) has said he doesn't think our DM is very good. He's not a nightmare either, but I don't have much context for this

And yes I'm sorry for being a bad player
>>
First time dm here. I am planning for the first session to have the entire party of 5 at 3rd level fight a cyclops. I've calculated online that 2000xp is considered a deadly encounter. What is anon's opinion? The cr of a cyclops is 6
>>
>>51059739
Being a single monster, that will probably be a fairly difficult fight but not a deadly imo. At least 1-2 people will go down, but it shouldnt take too long to bring down I don't think bc action economy.
>>
>>51059739
>>51059821

>bc action economy.

ding ding ding
esp. if the party hits him with a save or suck early. The only problem is, he could kill a third level fighter in one round. Even if the fighter has plate, the cycops has ~50% chance to hit, and could certainly do enough damage to down a 3rd level.

I would say drop the cyclops' damage output a little and don't play him too cleverly and you should be fine. Keep in mind, however, that it would be possible for him to drop a third of the party each round.
>>
Looking to create a fun weapon for a lvl 6 or 7 barbarian. Thoughts?

Looks like big war maul with a stylized ram head.
+1 Maul. When you hit during your attack action, as part of the attack you can choose to push a large or smaller creature back 5 feet.
>>
>>51059945
Change it to "on a hit" probably.
>>
>>51059739
round 1: players do 50 damage, cyclops downs one player
round 2: players do 50 damage, cyclops downs second player
round 3: cyclops is killed

So if they have healing and the cyclops doesn't coup-de-grace anyone, they'll survive
>>
File: 1483607110736.jpg (540KB, 846x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1483607110736.jpg
540KB, 846x1200px
Any cool ideas for a thematic party?
Like all-dwarfs or all-wizards, with a single main objective in mind?
>>
>>51059318
You're a fucking retard.
Talk to him you autist shit. Do you know how to talk?

Stop typing like a retard.
>>
>>51059945
1/day, advantage on a check to batter down a door.
>>
New thread you shits.
>>
>>51059879
>>51059821

>>51059986

Okay, I see now. The party consists of a Paladin/Warlock, a Druid, a Wizard, a Fighter, and a potential Sorcerer or Bard

If the party is smart, they can easily avoid getting killed. I'm aiming for "challenging first encounter" not "tpk on the first session"
>>
File: hero_banner_magicka_01.jpg (425KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hero_banner_magicka_01.jpg
425KB, 1600x1000px
>>51060058
>Party makes characters together
>Everyone picks Wizards from the same school, each focusing on a particular school of magic
>mfw "saving" the world
>>
>>51059318
Not gonna lie, you seem awkward AF.
>>
>>51050644
Durgar ndersmith

Could be worse.
>>
>>51060058
A 4 bard party quartet journeying through the land singing of tales and adventure while going on crazy misadventures and the like, performing bands and concerts. Race not restricted.
>>
>>51060058
All bards band
>>
>>51060117
>>51060119
bardmind
>>
>>51060089
Moon or Land Druid?
>>
>>51060058
All cleric party, on a mission to prove their god is the most influential.
>>
>>51060058
All rogue party out to steal everything not nailed down.
>>
>>51060147
>>51060147
>>51060147
>>
>>51060119
>>51060117
>>51060130
OKAY WHAT'S THE NAME OF THE BAND?
>>
>>51060117

This, but they solve mysteries.

One is a druid who stays shape changed all the time and just keeps casting speak with animals on the sorcerer.

They should definitely have an airship that doubles as a stage.
>>
>>51060138
moon
>>
>>51060179
check next thread
>>
>>51060160

Liars and Lyres
>>
>>51060058
>dwarf wizards
>out to steal the mascot of the rival elf wizard school
Thread posts: 442
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.