[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Weapon Master Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 379
Thread images: 19

File: studying the blade.jpg (257KB, 800x1199px) Image search: [Google]
studying the blade.jpg
257KB, 800x1199px
>Latest News
New 5e book announced: Tales from the Yawning Portal
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread
>>51050508

Why did your character start adventuring?
>>
I like 4e and 5e.
>>
band names for an all-bard party?
>>
Cyclops anon, your moon druid shouldn't be able to die to the cyclops, so long as he picks a good form and doesn't try anything funny. He, the fighter, and the paladin should divide the badguy's attention enough to let your blasters wear him down.
>>
>>51060180
Honestly Vicious Mockery sounds like a decent band name as is.
>>
Mage armour or shield on a wizard?
>>
>>51060180

Lyres and Liars

I had an NPC band in a game. It was an orc, a dwarf, a human and a halfling. They were called "3 And A Half Strings"

Deicide also made a cameo appearance for a good old fashioned battle of the bands (scott pilgrim style)
>>
>>51060180
The Beat-Alls
>>
>>51060147
>Why did your character start adventuring?
If he couldn't save his own world, he's gonna save this one, god dammit.
>>
>>51060180
The Magic Missiles
>>
Shield is pretty good if you also take a lot of ways to get out of risky zone
>>
>>51060176
You have good taste.
>>
>>51059318 #
You're a fucking retard.
Talk to him like a normal person, you autist shit. Do you know how to talk?
At least pretend to act like a normal person.

Stop typing like a retard.
>>
>>51060311
I'm making a Battle Master Fighter. Am I fucked without a shield? I'm a Maul wielder.
>>
>>51060180
AC/DC/CR
Dice n Roses
Vynyrd Brnyrd
Bardica
The Bards
The Rolling Bards
Red Hot Chili Bards
>>
How viable is the Eldritch Knight?

By "viable" I don't mean gamebreaking, just fun or useful to play.
>>
>>51060329
I was talking about the spell shield. I don't play martials, so I can't really answer your question.
>>
>>51060344
Very viable. Very fun.
>>
>>51060369
Oh. Sorry for bothering you, then.
>>
>>51060329
Not at all, you're fine
Your AC isn't the end-all-be-all, especially if you have someone else that can take their share of the hits
>>
>>51060344
Everything outside of elemental monk and beast master are fine. Even beast master is fine if you use the revised ranger rules
>>
>>51060329
Nah nigga just but some armor and kill the enemy before he hits you
>>
Is it just me or is pass without trace fucking boring to play with? It's just cast spell, immediately pass all stealth rolls.
>>
>>51060344
Pick plate, shield, defensive and the shield spell

Be the mountain the wind cannot humble
>>
>>51060403
No problem pleb. Good luck with mundanity.
>>
>>51060344
One of my players is an EK and he seems to be having a blast, the ability to cast booming blade then bonus action attack has turned him into an archer's worst nightmare and he loves it.

If you pick up war caster it gets even better, full-plate, a shield, and the shield spell makes you virtually un-hittable for a round.
>>
Who here ever have a romance in this game before?
>>
>>51060215
I think so too. Plus I'm not going to actively try and kill people. Maybe down one person if it gets to that.
>>
>>51060311
Shocking grasp yay
>>
File: sloth.jpg (74KB, 896x818px) Image search: [Google]
sloth.jpg
74KB, 896x818px
So I have the players handbook, and ive been reading through it to learn some of the game, and I know I need the monsters handbook for monsters and shit, but do i really need the DM one? I'll be dming, but I know how to run games. Is it worth getting?
>>
>>51060508
My girlfriend's characters fall for every single of my important male NPCs
>>
>>51060530
But what's the point of dming if you don't instill fear in your players?
>>
>>51060554
Jeez what a slut
>>
>>51060541
dl the PDF
>>
>>51060576
kill=/=downing

It's the first session lol. I have many, many plans. Current campaign is loosely based on Blood Omen Nosgoth. There will be death.
>>
File: 1483036350619.jpg (38KB, 500x344px) Image search: [Google]
1483036350619.jpg
38KB, 500x344px
Would a multiclass Twilight Druid/some kind of necromancer that uses undead minions as free health packs work?
>>
We're starting Storm King's Thunder at Level 5. What's a good class for it?
>>
>>51060790
Goliath bard
>>
>>51060759
As cool as it sounds, I think the creatures have to be hostile for you to gain a benefit from killing them.
>>
>>51060790
Literally all of them.
>>
>>51060759
In order to heal from Harvest's Scythe the enemy has to be hostile, so I guess if you cast animate dead, wait 24 hours then somehow hope the zombie wants to follow you to kill you as you kite it constantly. Or the whole bag of holding full of skeletons thing I guess.

That all aside, I dont think I would let that multiclass happen as a DM since the fluff of anti-undead Druid doesn't really fit with also summoning undead.
>>
>>51060759
>>51060878
I probably would let you grapple skeletons and put them into a bag of holding, then you can have your supply of enemy minion health packs
>>
File: Ireena Kolyana.png (538KB, 462x624px) Image search: [Google]
Ireena Kolyana.png
538KB, 462x624px
Okay, guys, that seems a bit silly, but I need your help.
I'm DMing a Curse of Strahd, and my party was going to finish up a bunch of side quests before going to Amber Temple, but their NPC allies assured them that they've got this. Next session I'm going to surprise them by handing them a bunch of character sheets for NPCs they met, such as Davian Martikov, Muriel Vinshaw, Victor Vallakovich and Blinsky. They will each choose a character for himself and go kill those side threats.
How do you like that idea? How would you react, if this happened to you?
Also, so far each session/story arc I've had a special name. What should I name this one?
>>
>>51060920
How many skellingtons can you fit in a bag of holding RAW anyways?
>>
>>51060923
Not a fan. I wouldn't see the point.
>>
>>51060923
>How do you like that idea? How would you react, if this happened to you?
Sounds fun desu

Also, man... that's not at all what I pictured Ireena looking like. Apparently my DM is terrible at describing NPCs
>>
>>51060923
If they really like their allies, that could be a lot of fun. Players can appreciate interesting diversions from the main game once in a while, and that sounds like they might be invested in it - doing similar things but as different characters, except they like them already.

If you do this, a great prep you should do is somewhat develop the relationships the NPCs have with each other.
>>
>>51060850
>>51060878
I sort of figured you could dispel the command undead part of Animate/Create (Un)dead at will, because being forced to have undead listen to you seems a little weird, but that's not RAW.
Maybe you could just order them to attack you one by one?
On the fluff part of it, I was thinking of Diablo 2 style priest of Rathma who see death as a natural part of life, and create undead as a temporary abridgement of it to defend the balance of that cycle.
>>
>>51061032
Ireena is meant to be no-nonsense fighter clothed in plate mail, but also quite beautiful.
>>
>>51061094
> No-nonsense fighter
> Is a 1/8 cr NPC, except with slightly higher HP than normal
This is one of the reasons DMs usually hand Ireena to one of the players.
>>
File: IMG_5760.jpg (21KB, 182x229px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5760.jpg
21KB, 182x229px
What the fuck spells do I take on a divination wizard? This is my plan to level 5 but i have no fucking idea what im doing

L1: Mage Armor, Shield, Detect Magic, Find Familiar, Magic Missile, Thunderwave
L2: Tasha's, Grease
L3: Misty Step, Suggestion
L4: Detect Thoughts, Web
L5: Haste, Fireball

I feel like I have too many do nothing spells and too many defensive shits, but i have no idea how to play a wizard so maybe Im wrong. Also i took very few divination spells because I think they suck but maybe theres some I should be taking
>>
>>51061058
D2 necromancers are best necromancers, but the whole point is that the druid gets rewarded for destroying undead. If he created them to begin with, what is there to reward? If anything, he should be penalized when creating them.

>>51061058
>Autism alert
Plate armor is not mail.
I was referring to myself.
>>
>>51061125
Related to that, having the NPCs being played by someone who wants to play but can't really commit to a schedule is a pretty good idea.
>>
>>51061148
You should absolutely take Tasha on level 1.
>>
>>51061148
Why aren't you taking divination spells?
>>
>>51061094

No wonder Strahd wants her flapjacks
>>
>>51060960
I cant find an official weight for skeletons but if we go with the real world average 15% of a human's body weight then about 16 if they are all 200lb men.

RAW bag of holding: 500lbs/(.15*200)
500/30=16.66

Maybe find a necromancer with a fetish for gnomes? Or a bunch of crawling claws?
>>
>>51061198
There doesn't seem to be that many good ones compared to other schools, most if not all is out of combat stuff like Identify and Comprehend languages. I do get to buyback a slot at level 6 with divination spells, but there just doesnt seem to be many appealing ones but maybe im wrong
>>
>>51061198
Because divination is a meme school people take for the features whilst ignoring the spells.

Divination killed role-playing.
>>
>>51060147
Speaking of that picture, has anyone tried the Samurai archetype for Fighter yet?
>>
>>51060790
Gnome immortal psion with magic initiate for booming blade/lightning lure.

Use a shield and rapier and try to find some noice medium armor.
>>
What is the next best published adventure to do after lost mines?
>>
>>51061275
Immortal Psions are a UA that was already announced to be cancelled.

>>51061267
>Using a katana with 0 muscles
He's a kensei.
>>
>>51058059
Might as well take a level dip of Cleric instead.

Heavy armour, can use healing spells with spell slots, 2 level 1 spellslots ot use on things and you can do something else with race.
Also better if you plan to get into melee sometimes.

>>51060058
All-religious.
>>
>>51061233
Her delicious flapjacks. Even an undead would be appreciative.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/my-new-d20-modern-campaign

Could this mean we might potentially get modern conversions or modern rules in the future?
>>
>>51060541
if you have the PDFs you should be fine. The most important physical book to have is a PHB for in-play reference
>>
>>51060541
>but do i really need the DM one?
You don't need it, but it's got fair advice and a good breakdown of aspects of settings, tone, and theme. I say skim the PDF and buy it if you find it compelling.
>>
>>51061394
I'd love to see that, especially since 5e is inherently a better system than 3e was and therefore has more potential to avoid the pitfalls that d20 Modern fell into.

There's been a couple third party sci-fi/modern games using 5e rules: Amethyst Quintessence and Ultramodern 5, but like with any third party supplement, quality is gonna be extremely subjective there.
>>
>>51061159
Do you think that would restrict commanding preexisting undead, giving them an order that would render them hostile like 'kill everyone here, prioritizing the enemies first', and then hitting them indiscriminately with AoEs?
Or sending them into combat and putting them down afterwards?
>>
>>51061472
>pitfalls that d20 Modern fell into.
never played d20 Modern, but I did a lot of 3e. what were the worst pitfalls?
>>
>>51060508
Had a non sexual man love between my Swashbuckler and the Paladin that was played for laughs.

[spoilers]Worst part was I'm actually gay and have a thing for the player OOC[/spoiler]
>>
>>51061472
Too true, 5e is really the better system in all respects. Unfortunately due to the smaller sized design group and the glacial pace which new content is being designed, it could be a while yet before we see any of the modern sort.

Thanks mate, will check those out.
>>
>>51061536
Hilariously imbalanced, tons of shitty systems like Wealth, made the feat bloat even worse with shitty feats that are required to be useful, etc. Plus the math's all screwed up, it's hella easy to do more damage punching people than getting shot in the head with a .50 cal
>>
>>51061576
ah. gotcha. I played a 5e campaign in a modern setting. It was okay. Campaign was fun, DM was pretty shit.
>>
>>51061490
I think anything is fine as long as you don't create or summon them yourself.
>>
>>51061536
Hilariously imbalanced because of the 3e chassis.
Dex was the king of everything.

Wealth that didn't make sense.
Feat bloat, but that's a lot to do with 3e and subsequent systems in general.

VP and WP was good to a certain degree.

A firearm supplement that was mostly useless and not even worth the paper it was printed on.
>>
How do I achive a God Form(something strong enough to fight a God 1v1?)?
>>
>>51061597
How well did 5e work with a modern setting?
Specifically firearms, AC, wounding, monsters and all of that.
What classes did you all use? Any from Ultramodern and Amethyst?

>Campaign was fun, DM was pretty shit.
Wat. How?
>>
What's the point of a 5 foot addition to a speed?
ie, 25 ft.
>>
>>51061638
You play something that isn't 5e.

Otherwise you become the nuclear druid.

Otherwise you need bullshit magical items likethe Deck of Many Things and hope you don't accidentally erase your entire existence in the process of trying to claim god-like power (99.9% of unexisting yourself, approx, unless your DM is far too nice).
>>
>>51061697
What's the nuclear druid again? Twilight druid and some multiclassing?
>>
>>51061638
The quest to become a God can be a long one. One must essentially become as Godlike as possible throughout the world, travelling far and wide, being known throughout and gaining favour.

Only then when you have a mass following will you be deemed worthy of Godship.
>>
>>51061638
You play Pathfinder instead.
>>
>>51061094
Damn. In my game, Ismark is a bit of a badass (some lucky combat rolls helped) and absolutely devoted to his "sister," but Ireena herself is a delicate flower cowering under beds and behind rocks while saying almost nothing of use, ever. I am disappoint.
>>
>>51061678
... So you can move an extra 5 feet, or 10 if you dash? What's your point about asking what's the point of it? It is what it is.
>>
>>51061725
A druid that has some access to the 'magic missile' spell. Multiclassing a level for it allows it to be cast at level 9 or having a wand of magic missile allows to be cast at level 7 .
>>
>>51061787
>Play Lewd Kitsune Simulator 2017 instead
>>
>>51061243
>most if not all is out of combat stuff
That's the fucking point
>>
How would you stat the events from the Conjuring 2?
>>
>>51061544
RIP
>>
>Find Steed uses spells that have Range: Self
>Wish has Range: Self

Why have you not build a Character that twincasts Wish through his steed yet?
>>
What are some interesting characters you have played/want to?
Currently DM'ing a campaign, but I want to roll a Gnome Barbarian with littleman syndrome who goes into Rage whenever someone makes fun of him (usually at inopportune times)
>>
>>51061967
because none of my campaigns last that long and I haven't played a game I wasn't DMing for years now
>>
>>51061914
ok but what if i wanna actually do things in this game
>>
A guy in my who is a player said if he was DM he wouldnt allow any options apart from the PHB becaue of the eagle people race means they all must be OP.
>>
>>51060269
Mage armor. Shield only lasts for one turn in 5e.
>>
>>51062096
How mentally deficient are you that you can't find anything to do with divination magic?
>>
File: owl what.jpg (103KB, 750x675px) Image search: [Google]
owl what.jpg
103KB, 750x675px
>>51062102
>A guy in my who
>>
>>51062102
If that's his only experience with supplementary material, I can see how he'd draw that conclusion. However, I don't see why he has not even looked at other material, even the free stuff, to increase his limited data sample.
>>
>>51061243
If you're only interested in combat spells, then don't play a diviner. Choosing divination and not choosing divination spells is munchkin af. See >>51061914.
>>51062096
>Implying combat is the only activity in D&D

>>51061969
Ancients Paladin who worships Sune (goddess of sexiness) and Liira (goddess of parties). He is all about beauty, internal and external, and how feeling good about yourself brings out the best in you.
His main tenet is to never refuse sex, unless the person is ugly both on the inside and the outside and isn't trying to improve. But he's under no obligation to play fair - if a sexy but evil woman or man seduce him, he'll go along with it, and then leave the handcuffs on and call the guards.
>>
>>51061919
Are you being ironic?
>>
>>51062102
You're all retarded.
Slap his shit.
>>
>>51062134
A guy in my group who
there it is fixed
>>
>>51062177
Just remember that fat people are always ugly on the inside too.
>>
>>51062190
No, for real.
Are there haunting and possession mechanics?
>>
>>51062239
Fucking word. They're disgusting shits.
>>
>>51060147
What the heck is a blockchain?
>>
Rolling a Hill-dwarf Cleric, but I can't seem to find any good Dwarven deities that fit the tempest domain.

Marthammor apparently guides travelers with lightning bolts, but doesn't actually claims in a relevant domain.

Does /5eg/ have any good suggestions? Or do I have to make my own Dwarven deity of tundra blizzards?
>>
>>51062272
Look up the Ghost in the Monster Manual
>>
>>51062290
>but doesn't actually claims in a relevant domain
i fugged it
>>
>>51062272
Sorry I just wanted to be a shit because of what happened last time it was brought up.
>>
>>51062239
If they're dieting, my paladin would still smash. At least they're trying.
But he knows and remembers.

>>51062289
Mall ninja shit, probably.
>>
File: 1460340912250.jpg (52KB, 604x403px) Image search: [Google]
1460340912250.jpg
52KB, 604x403px
>friday night
>everybody in my group is busy doing other things
>we cut the last session short right before an important battle
>we won't be able to meet again for at least two months because people are going back to college
>tfw
>>
>>51062289
Actually apparently it's a database technology and the term appears in literally no other context. I'm extremely confused now.

>>51062356
RIP
>>
>>51062303
Thanks mate.

>>51062315
???
Stop being a shit.
>>
>>51062365
I am pretty sure hes referring to block chains in fighting games like street fighter.

Its either combos you can perform out of blocking an attack, or blocking a difficult sequence of hits.

Not sure which, but I am guessing its one of them.
>>
didn't get a response in last thread so reposting

i need help figuring out how the musket and pistol from the DMG work with the fighter class. i have a player that wants to go arcane archer but with firearms and im more than happy to look over smaller rules for the sake of player enjoyment, but since all those weapons have the loading property i dont understand if that means he can only make one attack with them despite his action surge or even be able to use the create magic arrow feature at all because it takes a action or bonus action.

i wanna recycle the crossbow expert feat for fire arms and let him take it at lvl 4 but until then i just dont understand how a turn in combat would work for him. would appreciate it if anyone can walk me through it or suggest a balanced fix. thanks
>>
>>51062315
What the fuck are you blathering about?
>>
File: shadow-bot.png (594KB, 1000x949px) Image search: [Google]
shadow-bot.png
594KB, 1000x949px
Which looks better, weeb flavor or ambiguously European flavor?
>>
>>51062373
>>51062471
Are you being ironic?
>>
Hey /tg/ I'm running Lost Mines (first time DM), I've had a few ideas and I'm wondering what you think about it

I want to make the campaign a bit more interesting since its fairly vanilla and my players are wrecking everything so far.

a) I thought about having the players be attacked by doppelganger assassins randomly. The Black Spider does have a single weak doppelganger in his employ, I thought about granting him several and hopefully make my players paranoid

b) I'm looking for some non hostile wildlife to spice things up a bit while they hexcrawl, to make the world feel more alive. Like large herbivores that aren't just cows or pigs. Is there anything in the books that isn't trying to kill everyone?

c) The campaign is set very close to Neverwinter (one quest in particular is like 20 miles to the east) and I'd be very surprised if my players didn't decide to go there. Any 5e material on Neverwinter? Anything in the SCAG?

cheers anons
>>
>>51062405
So is he saying he can do defensive katas in real life, or that practicing Street Fighter makes him a superior being?

>>51062452
I think part of arcane archery is handling the ammunition, at least flavorwise, but either way it's difficult mechanically to do it with guns. You can only fire loading weapons once with an attack (although action surge would let him fire one additional time).
>>
Champion, Battle Master or Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>51062500
Only you can stop being a complete shit.
What the fuck are you blathering about? Do you need help?
>>
>>51062554
Depends on what you want to do. EK is the tankiest, Champion is the simplest and most heroic-like, and BM it the most tactical.

>>51062478
Either full weeb or no weeb at all.
>>
>>51062575
I just want to know if you're being ironic or not, anon
>>
>>51062452
>but since all those weapons have the loading property
Loading means that it doesn't benefit from extra attack (i.e. if you're a level 5 fighter and make an attack with the musket with your action, you can't use the musket for the second attack granted by extra attack). If you use an action surge, you can make another attack with the musket, but only one.

>i wanna recycle the crossbow expert feat for fire arms
Firearms do roughly double the damage of equivalent crossbows. Removing the "loading" property as per crossbow expert would be extremely unbalanced. At Level 5, this could mean that he could fire twice with a hunting rifle and then use action surge to fire an additional two shots for a total of 8d10 + 4(ability modifiier) damage.

>or even be able to use the create magic arrow feature at all because it takes a action or bonus action.
Just assume you're making a musketball of magic and fuck you, that's fine. I don't see an issue with this.
>>
>>51062597
Do you even understand what means?
Are you using that ironically?
>>
>>51062611
Why can't you just tell me if you're being ironic?
>>
>>51062405
>>51062365
don't know if you guys are for real.
Block chain is a ledger technology. It allows cryptocurrencies (such as bitcoin) to function by recording the location and transactions of the currencies on a ledger that is maintained publicly.
>>
>>51062621
If he says not being ironic, will you stop with your smearing of shit.

It's getting tiresome.
>>
>>51062527
>You can only fire loading weapons once with an attack
You can metagame this bit fairly easily if you carry two guns, since you can just take your second attack with the second gun.
>>
Alright lads.

I'm trying to run a character who's an ex-celestial. Specifically, they're a sapient weapon, formerly used by a dead champion of a dead god.

1. How would /5eg/ stat a PC that's an item that switches wielders/bodies?

2. What's an effective way to play a lancer style character in 5e?
>>
>>51062668
Was that an ironic statement, anon? Just tell me.
>>
Cyclops anon back here.

So I'm running a Nosgoth campaign taking place during the Blood Omen saga of Legacy of Kain, it's loosely based on it. I have a monster hunting fighter who is hunting down a Cyclops to complete a contract. Meanwhile, I am planning on having the Paladin/warlock run into said Cyclops while on his way to the town that the monster hunter is coming from. At the same time the Moon Druid is passing through the area after having discovered an Elemental shrine, and investigating the recent hostility in animals and creatures by traveling north through the region to investigate the pillars. The wizard is simply a halfling who want to discover ancient secrets, so I'll have him meet the druid at the elemental shrine not far from where the cyclops is. The other player hasn't gotten back to me but I'm thinking first sessions should - SHOULD go down as
>druid and wizard meet up and decide to head north
>Fighter and Paladin team up on Cyclops
>Druid and Wizard bump into group
>Everyone beats cyclops and fighter goes back to collect reward
>Party is driven to go investigate pillars

Can an experienced dm tell me what I should be prepared to do if this general direction goes.... elsewhere?
>>
>>51062693
Here's a question, have you tried talking do your DM first?
>>
>>51062693
>1. How would /5eg/ stat a PC that's an item that switches wielders/bodies?
Flying Sword from the MM, except replace the mental stats with stats you roll/buy. When another creature grabs the weapon, they must succeed a Charisma saving throw of 10+half your level or become possessed by the sword. Your mental stats, personality and alignment replace theirs.

Every 24 hours, an unwillingly possessed creature may attempt a Charisma check to overcome this.
>>
Advice RE. New weapons

I'm looking to run a handful of new weapon options. Specifically...

1. Compound bow: STR based damage Dex based hit bonuses

2. Trick weapons, Bloodborne style

Anyone know good rules for that?
>>
>>51062659
Genuinely had no idea. In my defense, he's holding a katana and blocking is something you do during a fight, and nothing about the picture suggests bitcoins.

>>51062685
Perhaps, but any reasonable DM will require a free hand for reloading.

>>51062801
Yes, Pathfinder.
>>
>>51062771
Thanks!
>>51062758
Oh yeah for sure. Just trying to make it easy for him.

>>51062452
Honestly? Don't remove the loading property, or dedicate an entire feat to removing it.

Have a goal for the character be to manufacture a reliable way of reloading a firearm. Have him meet/become a master artisan. Introduce rifled cartridges to your setting. One hell of a way to advance the tech level.
>>
>>51062511
First time DM myself, just finished running the same campaign. I threw in a couple oddball things to tie together the sidequests somewhat. The banshee told the players she traded the book of necromancy, turns out it was a necromancer who unleashed the zombies in Thundertree 50 years ago. His son inherited the book and was practicing raising zombies at Old Owl Well. Necromancer wanted party to kill the orc tribe plaguing the tradeways so he could resurrect them as his own army and march on Phandalin.

Adding a doppelganger attack would be a great idea, wish I had thought of that.

Overall it went decent, I learned a lot as a DM and the players learned a lot about how to play. We're excited about starting up another campaign.
>>
I'm making a character, a ranger as like a mundane doctor. Healer feat, potions all that sort of thing. Just say I'm like a higher level, would you allow me to attempt CPR on a recently killed character? Like, a DC 25 medicine check within a couple turns of the character dying? This isn't really important, but just want to know if in the moment it wouldn't be a dick move to ask the DM for it.
>>
If an outsider breaches the barriers between the planes and manifests in the mortal world, would it leave an imprint on its surroundings?
Like spiritual corruption for fiends.
>>
>>51062939
>DM myself
I too DMed myself once. It went horribly.
>>
>>51062975
Possibly. I'd definitely allow it as a one-time thing in a dramatic moment, but not if it could potentially nullify the impact of death.
>>
>>51062975
I'd say go for it! You've got healer feat. I'd put down a Revivify-style penalty for a few days/weeks until they recover.

I'm all for mundane medicine in my RPGs though.

>>51062978
Outsider like an extra-planar entity? I'd say noticably, but no mechanical effects. Think a smell of sulfur or something.
>>
Have you ever run a campaign other than the official ones and those you make yourself?

That is, a campaign off DMs guild or written by some anon or whatever.

If so, how was it? If not, would you?
>>
>>51063001
Y'know what? I wasn't thinking about restorative magic when I said that. I'd allow it.
>>
>>51063040
>>51063001
...yeah maybe that's better.

Actually how about this?

DC 25, 30 or so.

Then a (simple) Con check to see if you can keep it up long enough to actually revive them.

Have them wake with a SEVERE injury (eg. Broken ribs).

I'd apply the same penalties to magical resurrection, myself.
>>
>>51063040
>>51063001
Very much just a one time dramatic moment thing, and I am definitely the same with mundane medicine. My basic idea is Ranger with an ape animal companion named Nurse, using potions and healing kit.
>>
>>51063078
If anything, they should be the one rolling con.

>>51063094
Ridiculous but cute. Also, I see you, Doctor McNinja.
>>
>>51062975
Considering you're not a thief rogue (Which is kind of optimizing healer), you're playing a ranger (Which isn't exactly a tier 1 class, even if it's UA. It's still pretty good if it's UA) and all that...

Considering Clerics are already great enough without revivify, I'd allow you to 'possibly' replicate the effects of revivify without a spell slot with a medicine check, the DC varying between 15 to 30 depending on just how fucked up they are.
>>
>>51062289
>>51062365
Bitcoin and the likes use this technology so it's considered a topic of interest for neckbeards/fedoras.
>>
So our party is all Sixth Level, right? So far, we've fought a Goristro with no warning or environmental support, which we all had to run away from. This still counted as failing our quest despite it being CR 20.

And then there's this dungeon we're going through now. A maze full of minotaurs, featuring fog clouds which impose exhaustion, some of which we cannot go around and HAVE to go through.

Is this shit okay?
>>
>>51063094
Aww. And do Nurse and the ranger get into spats every so often?

>"What? C'mon, Nurse, I said I was sorry. How would she have reacted if I'd brought you into the room with us?"

>"Give me the bag, Nurse. Yes, I know you're hungry. We're all hungry. You can't just hog all the food for yourself. No--no! Put down the nuts, Nurse. I said--Nurse, put down the--great. Those are coming out of your pay, you know."
>>
>>51063271
No, your DM is either an asshole or a retard. Possibly both.
>>
File: What are birds.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
What are birds.gif
999KB, 250x251px
Would you ever use Power Word Kill on a player?
>>
>>51063365
I just did last session. Served as a great cliffhanger.
>>
>>51063365
If an enemy with lv9 spell slots decided it was worth it, yes.

Hell, have them open with a PWK. Then offer the true res if the players concede to surrender.
>>
>>51063253
But he says he "mastered" it, and the other two things are at least somewhat about swords. Was the guy just crazy?
>>
>>51063353
I've asked him "Is this designed to be unfair?" and he's said yes. I'm not sure what his reasoning is.
>>
>>51063365
If you make it clear the ennemy has PWK AND your party has counterspell maybe but I don't see why...

What is the situation you're considering ?
>>
>>51063271
>Sixth Level
>CR20
Unless there's like ten of you, no.

>HAVE to go through
Can you do anything like Gust of Wind to dissipate them? If you can, then the answer is "no". If you can't, then the answer is "hell no".
>>
>>51060425
It's a very good spell but you don't automatically pass all stealth roll.

A low roll can still be detect by enemy passive perception.
>>
How would you stat an "oni"-style club/kanabo/tetsubo?

Because since they're typically made of metal, I wouldn't assume that the great club stats would work perfectly.
>>
>>51063427
Seems a little unfair to me is all, they don't even get to try and save against it
>>51063455
Isn't true rez another lvl 9 spell though?
>>51063473
I was considering a spellcaster boss that would use it as a last resort against mid to high level pcs, but I don't think any ofthem have countespell at the moment
I may be biased against the spell when my old dm used it against a 6th level character that didn't do what he wanted them to
>>
>>51063271
Turn around and find somewhere less unfair.

Or try the standard methods, like covering your mouth in cloth, dispelling the fog, luring minotaurs into it, etc.
>>
>>51063458
Like he would say "I've mastered linear algebra". That's how I understand it. Blockchain is a topic in computer science.

And inner STR is not necessarily related to sword.
>>
>>51060147
>mixing serif and sans-serif fonts
Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>51063536
Ah, thinking of it, would just replacing the battleaxe's damage with Bludgeoning be fair enough?
>>
>>51063569
But he uses the direct article: he didn't master "blockchain," he mastered THE blockchain, whatever that is.
The idea that this is about bitcoins also means that line doesn't have anything to do with the image its juxtaposed with, the lines of text directly above or below it, or the conclusion about barbarians at the gates. Why would he even mention Bitcoins in connection to that in the first place?
>>
>>51063604
At that point just reskin the warhammer.
>>
>>51063465
What's the point of purposely being unfair? Literally why?
I strongly suspect he's a real-life griefer and gets off from your frustrations.

>>51063536
Just use greatclub. Tetsubo is basically the same thing - it's not like "greatclub" assumed 100% wood.
>>
>>51063543
If the parry does not have Counterspell why would he hold on to it ? Does he have another lvl 9 spell ?
>>
>>51063543
That's videogame mentality. A boss with a last resort that literally kills a pc? What makes this boss so special?
>>
>>51063543
Unless if you know pc's have resurrection spells, I wouldn't use pwk not unless you don't want your players to come back lol
>>
>>51063627
Probably because he's anticipating the collapse of conventional governments and currency, and expecting cryptocurrency to be the only surviving medium of exchange, of which he has more than the popular kids and the foreigners.

>>51063678
This desu. Killing a character outright is only ok if the party has the resources to rez them, or can get those resources pretty quickly. Otherwise the player has to sit out sessions, which isn't very fun at all.
>>
>>51063627
I've always seen it refered to as "the blockchain" or maybe "blockchain technology" but never "blockchain". I assume it was included because it is considered really cringy. I agree wih all your points though.

To me "blockchain" unequivocally refers to the blockchain technology used by Bitcoin but I agree the caption doesn't fit in this img.
>>
>>51063040
That doesn't really have that oomph I was looking for.
Players have become too complacent with fiends, they should learn to fear them again.
>>
I'm making a one-shot campaign, just figured I'd get some input from you guys for a part. What are your recommended monsters to find in an abandoned sewer? the PC's will be level 3 when they enter, and I got some classics like spiders and a mimic, as well as a boss, I just got to populate it more
>>
>>51063660
That they've learned a 9th level spell.

I don't personally believe in giving players exclusive access to that sort of stuff. If I see someone abusing Dimension Door they're going to be fighting dimenion dooring assassins.

Likewise, I'm going to offer plenty of options to take on bosses. If the players make the mistake of rushing into direct combat without enough HP to survive spells, they deserve it.
>>
>>51063704
Oh yeah this anon solved it...
>>
>>51063723
That's the setting's fault. Fiends includes shitty stuff like lemures, which nobody should be afraid of. Higher-level fiends usually already have the abilities they need to make a dramatic entrance in the form of inherent spells.

>>51063733
What was the original purpose of the tower?
>>
>>51063733
The DMG has a useful chart for monsters by environment. The ones for "Underwater" and "Urban" are on page 305.

By the way, Wizards, fuck you for not putting it in the Monster Manual, where it obviously should have been.
>>
>>51062605
thanks for the input. i think i understand the number of attacks he can pull off with the guns. he also has a dagger as his one other weapon right now so if im not wrong he can use it for the extra attack feature.

also ill keep the reload property and let him use create magic bullet for free
>>
>>51063755
>What was the original purpose of the tower?
Well it's a sewer, but it's real old and unused, as well as the big bad is using it as her base/final trial to find her, so she has filled it with things that might not actually be there. The boss is basically a "clockwork Golem" I home-brewed together that runs on a prototype motor an inventor made.
>>51063785
Yeah, I saw it and probably will use it. I'm pretty new and just got the books this Christmas, and I'm loving the process of making a campaign, even a short one
>>
>>51063733
Wererats are the classic. Also, some shady cultists.
>>
>>51063833
>might not actually be there.
wtf that makes no sense, meant "supposed to not be there"
>>
>>51063723
Oh, if you're going to make it REALLY unpleasant?

>Players have to make Cha checks to act in a chaotic or good manner around anywhere a fiend has been within a week.

>Players receive false descriptions, in line with the fiend's perceptions. Eg. "The winged beast decends, the heat it gives off blistering your skin" for a celestial approaching the party.

>fire deals double damage

>'random' events become organised. Fire spreads in even rings regardless of fuel. Raindrops fall in precise patterns or in unison. Gusts of wind arrive precisely every nine seconds.

>you can hear distant music, if you listen well enough.
>>
Does anyone else think the monster mechanics are too stale and lack flavor?
>>
>>51063876
This is actually fantastic.
>>
As a strong believer in the heroic part of heroic fantasy, should I scale DCs per player based off of ability scores? Like, even if the 8 str wizard rolls a 20, he's not pushing the boulder while if the 21 str fighter rolls a 12 or something moderate he gets some progress.
>>
>>51063905
Kinda. 4e spoiled me in that regard.

I get that it's harder to do interesting things without assuming players will have a grid, but still.

>>51063941
That kinda defeats the purpose of ability scores and rolling, doesn't it?
>>
>>51063905
I can make a band of goblins seem like the most interesting encounter ever.

>10 Goblins chase after cart of goodies, drivers screams for help
>crash
>enter party
>a couple goblins ride on a horse, one steering, the other shooting arrows
>other goblins surround the party
>driver pulls out a loaded crossbow and fires
>Use cart as cover against bow horse goblin
GO
>>
>>51063305
Haven't gotten into the game yet, but yeah that was the idea.I would like Nurse to be good at grappling (apes have proficiency anyway), so I can say things like "Nurse, please restrain the patient" and shit like that. I really like the doctor theme for those sort of lines, I've been trying to think of more themed one liners, though I'm not sure if it will fit the mood
>>
>>51063905
If you go strictly by the book yeah. >>51063966
is right in that you can make any encounter interesting with some creative flair, and it doesn't just have to be fluff. switch up the attacks or equipment sometimes.
>>
>>51063980
Speaking of, if an Ape is my companion does it keep its rock throw attack?
>>
>>51063941
If it's a case where the fighter could do it but just didn't roll high enough whereas the wizard can't do it even on a 20, sure, give some indication that the fighter can struggle through and succeed with a little more time.

Another way to promote that heroic feeling is letting them just *do* things that are heroic. No roll required. And the wizard can't, no roll allowed.
>>
>>51063630
I'd rather it just always be two-handed, really.
>>51063635
It seems strange to me that a big, two-handed iron stick would still only do the same damage as the longsword. But I'm probably overthinking it.

But I'm probably just overthinking about it.
>>
>>51063924
>>51063876
Thank you! Some more, for demons.

>All living things within radius begin to audibly breathe. Grass blades have a pulse.

>Salt begins to encrust on surfaces near where magic is cast.

>Necrotic damage is doubled.

>creatures do not die until they leave radius. Healing magic does not work inside radius.

>any injuries sustained inside radius never heal, even naturally (except with 8/9th level magic).

>Severed body parts animate and attempt to escape. Players may see a pair of disembodied feet attempting to copulate, or a tongue incubating its eggs.

>spilled blood forms perfectly spherical bubbles that float upwards. Bubbles radiate no heat, but deal 1d4 cold damage on contact.
>>
>>51064003
Are you using the Variant ranger or the PHB version?

I'm quite certain the Variant's would. I think the only feature you lose is Multiattack.

>>51064018
>I'd rather it just always be two-handed, really.
Then the maul.
>>
>>51064050
Oh, I completely forgot about that, thanks.
>>
>>51064050
Oh right, it's only the reaction attack that has to be a melee attack.
>>
>>51063964
>That kinda defeats the purpose of ability scores and rolling, doesn't it?
The other choices that I see are to let the wizard be able to push the boulder on a 20 when he shouldn't by any measure be able to or to not let the fighter push it at all without intense magical assistance.
>>51064004
I'd be fine with that out of combat and just tell them it takes them 30 seconds or so of shoving before it gets moving but the problem becomes what if they're in combat? Should the 'heroic-ness' of their ability scores scale with level or should they just be shoving around boulders in six seconds from level 1?

I'm trying to take after these rules a bit but adapt them.
>Are you in combat? If yes, roll. If not, see below.

>Is it time sensitive? If yes, roll. If not, see below.

>Are they proficient? If not, roll. If yes, see below.

>Is it possible? If not, they fail. If yes, they succeed automatically, and the DM decides how long it takes
>>
>>51063824
He can use the dagger, but he'll probably need to put it away to reload. That's the real issue.

>>51063833
My bad, I can't read. There should definitely be at least one mechanical enemy, obviously. Maybe incorporeal undead who died there and now haunt the place.
>>
>>51063966
Plz be my DM and have my DM babbies
>>
>>51064130
How big is this boulder, exactly? What's the DC for this check?
>>
>>51064160
For the sake of this discussion, lets assume this boulder is big enough to block off a normal doorway/fill one space.
The DC of the check is the subject of the discussion, something i'm trying to figure out.
>>
How do I play a Dark and Edgy Kender?
>>
>>51064193
Steal fingers and ears instead of baubles.
>>
>>51064229
Not edgy enough. You need to steal their blood and souls, and let them know it's nothing personell.
>>
>>51064193
dont
>>
>>51063905
I'll write you an Orc encounter based on the ones I'm planning for my game.

2d6 Orcs.

=<6 Orcs: Outriders.
If they take casualties, one will ride back to warn the main caravan. Armed with compound shortbows: 1d6, dex to hit, +str to damage. The captain has a rifle: 2d8+2*dex, 5 rounds. (Replace with heavy crossbow if necessary.)
Motivation: Protect caravan from threats. Will often fire warning shots. If party is unmounted, will simply circle them at max range and pick them apart with ranged fire. If party has good ranged damage, will charge on horseback and engage with axes, javelins and revolvers.

>6 orcs: Raid survivors.

Two orcs are carrying an extra on a stretcher, lagging behind the others. Armed with axes, poleaxes and heavy crossbows. Captain is mounted and carries a pair of revolvers, as well as a pair of shortswords. She's wearing an oversized hat (magic item, advantage on perception checks in the plains) and a pair of sunglasses (rare, prevent sunlight sensitivity for drow kobolds etc).
Motivation: regroup with main camp, protect their wounded. The stretcher bearers will offer to trade anything they have for medical supplies.
>>
>>51064254
it's too late.
I've already committed.
>>
File: LA1hShGh.jpg (40KB, 500x255px) Image search: [Google]
LA1hShGh.jpg
40KB, 500x255px
>>51060147
>Why did your character start adventuring?
With the closing of a particular small chapel, the resident sexton found himself with no more graves to dig, candles to replace, shrubs to trim, or pews to mend.

Armed with only his shovel, a hymnal, and a dream, he sets out to explore a world about which he has only heard stories.
>>
Which fighting style do you think are the best? Dueling and defense seem to be on the very top, and if you're an archer, archery seems good.
>>
>>51064364
>if you're an archer, archery seems good
>>
>>51064364
Archery is overall the strongest. +2 to-hit constantly is huge in 5e.
>>
>>51064364
Duelling is best with PAM quarterstaff+shield if you don't want even more godly AC. Otherwise, it doesn't synergize with very many builds.

Overall, archery is by far the best, but again requires a particular type of build being some sort of dex fighter.
>>
>>51064181
With a DC of 20, someone with 21 Strength can move it on a result of 15 or higher--so it's difficult, to be sure, but hardly impossible. It's about a 25% chance of success (51% with advantage).

Meanwhile, someone with 8 Strength will never be able to move it. And generally it's better to just say that. RAW, a 20 on a check isn't an automatic success, so if there's no chance to succeed, there's no point in rolling.
>>
>>51064448
>RAW, a 20 on a check isn't an automatic success
I know, I fucking hate any sort of expansion on crits except for critical hits having a roll table for more effects so that players can feel a bit more variance in the fight.
But I get what you're putting down. The only issue is what if the 12 str guy gets a 20 and makes it but that's not so much a problem as a bit of fluff/adrenaline rush lifting-the-car-off-the-kids shit. Only real problem is if the fighter fails too many times at which point he starts to feel like a shitter since his time to shine is being Big McLargehuge.
>>
>>51064309
Why'd the chapel close? What class is he?
>>
>>51064522
Don't forget the Help action. The 12 Strength person would actually help more that way.
>>
>>51064033
Don't stop being awesome.
>>
>>51063365
No? That's stupid. A creature with a 9th level spell wouldn't waste it on PWK, they would use it on Meteor Swarm to try and wipe the party out or Gate to summon Death Megatron 300 or Time Stop to escape from the party and save themselves.
They would only cast PWK if they were a horseshit "hurr I killed the lady of pain" tier villain who had plenty of 9th level slots to spare.
>>
>>51060147
Adoptive mother and the person they'd consider a sister vanished, almost entirely without a trace. They're now trying to track down what exactly happened to them.
>>
>>51064586
I always forget about help. I keep thinking about team actions from M&M and confusing them.
I have never played anything but 5e but i'm going to be ripping the fuck outta rules from 3.5, 4e, and M&M.
>>
>>51061638
I haven't seen any statblocks for any gods, but assuming they're somewhere around the power level of the Tarrasque, you basically need to cheese them.
Kensei Monk 19 Fighter 1 Archery Style
Mobile and Sharpshooter
Boots of Speed and the Epic Boon of Speed
Stock up on arrows and kite them to death.

Alternatively you could do research into the stats of a specific god and make a full build dedicated to cheesing that specific one.
>>
>>51060147
It's her way of honoring her mother, who died saving a town from a dragon when my character was younger. Naturally her father (who retired to take care of her) was not on board but they've patched things up since.
>>
>>51060923
>Victor Vallakovich

Hey, how did you swing that?
>>
>>51064448
>With a DC of 20, someone with 21 Strength can move it on a result of 15 or higher

Actually, someone that strong will 90% of the time be proficient in Athletics

So the person only has to beat at most an 11 (as prof will be +4 by the time their strength is 20)

With guidance, inspiration, or help, the chances of sucess are more like 75 to 80%
>>
>>51064777
I'm just not sure pushing something qualifies as Athletics. I think that's more about climbing and swimming and stuff.
>>
How can we make Strength at all stand up to the usefulness of Dexterity?
>>
>>51064682
>kensei
>not ghandi monk of "if you touch my friends I will fuck you up" then just bringing every follower to fight god
Watch your friends get killed by Orcus. Fuck up Orcus. Bring friends back since evil death prince is ded as shit now.

Further question, what kind of lair and realm actions do the various archfiends have? I know shit like Dispater is practically invincible inside his tower but do any others have documented shit? Also more epic creature statblocks in general. Only having orcus, demogorgon, tiamat, and baphomet is a bit droll. I want a Nine Hells campaign.
>>51064813
It doesn't fit into anywhere else unless you want to make it a pure ability check.
>>
>>51064851
While wearing medium or heavy armor, once per round your Strength modifier can be used as damage reduction for a single non-magical bludgeoning/slashing/piercing attack
?
>>
Are there ways to get bigger/better animals as your beast companion as a ranger? I'm planning on making a revised ranger for an upcoming game, and while the listed options seem pretty cool for starting off, I really like the idea of having a Winter Wolf or Griffon or Owl bear at later levels.
>>
>>51060147
ive not played yet Im looking to DM but i have a few concepts
A Kobold Rouge artificer who runs a curio shop, she regularly goes out into ruins and such to find things to stock her shop with. has a biug heart and finds it hard not to help people in need so can find herself doing more than just treasure hunting.

A Goblin Bard, sullen and a pessimist he is by and large the lowest rung of his goblin tribe, constantly mocked and kicked around he later found out about the spirit of the Nilbog and the treatment a goblin possessed by it usually gets. so he gone out into the world lute in hand to court the spirit and rub it in the faces of his tribe. he also has an amazing singing voice
>>
>>51064879
Suck your DM off

>>51064885
>Rouge
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51064851
Simply enforce strict encumberance rules and stop giving everybody bags of fucking holding.
>>
I've been invited to play a 5e game with some friends, and I'm not really sure what to play. I was thinking maybe a Paladin, and I've heard there's some crazy damage optimization you can do with paladin multiclassing. My stat rolls are 8, 13, 14, 16, 11, 16 (as yet unmodified by race). Any advice?
>>
>>51064878
What's the justification for that?
>>
>>51064879
It would definitely be limited and very rare. Probably better off polymorphing the creature you get rather than trying to convince your GM to let you tame another.
>ape and black bear are CR 1/2 for your level 3
>max CR of creature would be ranger level/6
>>
>>51064859
>pure ability check.
That's what I'm pretty sure it is, RAW.

>>51064885
Talk to your DM. Maybe you can swing it in exchange for decreasing the +Proficiency somewhat to compensate.
>>
>>51064921
Encumbrance is bullshit, a character with 10 strength can barely carry a simple combat load without taking a movement penalty unlesss they're a sorc/wizard

>>51064977
Minmaxing your character rarely translates into how fun they are to play

>>51064980
To make strength more useful.
Also a stronger character will be able to move faster in heavy armor, thus better dodging blows; but they can't do it all the time b/c it would be tiring.
But mostly it's to make strength more useful.
>>
>>51065042
I don't intend to go totally crazy, but having a solidly competent character is in fact one of the things that makes something fun to play for me.
>>
>>51064999

It's literally a sport
>>
Need help deciding what's gonna happen next episode. I'll try to keep this concise

> Players pull up to a cliffside waterfall via caravel size ship.
> There's a cottage / mill at the top of the waterfall.
> Rogue decides to launch himself via ship's catapult to the cottage.
> Cleric obliges, and mans the catapult to assist.
> Rogue's (Arcane Trickster) plan is to get launched, and make up the difference with Misty Step.
> I make the Cleric roll an attack roll, as if he's aiming and firing the catapult at a target, rolls a 3.
> Rogue is very much so off-target, looking to hit the base of the waterfall / water.
> Rogue goes to Misty Step underneath the water.
> I have him roll a Dexterity Save just to see if he can react in time before making impact.
> Rolls a 10.

And that's the "cliffhanger" we ended the session on. What should happen next?
>>
>>51065117
Pushing things is a sport?
>>
>>51065063
Well, if your rolls are 8, 13, 14, 16, 11, 16 you can make pretty much anything you want. Mostly depends on what you want to play and what the rest of your group composition is like.
>>
Is this in-game mini-game balanced or are there any easy ways to break it? It's a take on "Liar's Dice"

1v1 (two players head to head)
Both players get 4 dice. Three dice are rolled hidden from the other player (usually via a cup) and each player gets to look at their dice. Then both players roll an additional dice out in the open.

On the count of three they can keep their dice, or give it to the other player. Closest to 18 without going over wins. Point of giving your dice to the other player is to force them to bust.

Thoughts?
>>
>>51065121
Depends how realistic you want and how you fluff misty
If misty conserves momentum, exact same as If hitting the water's surface.
>>
>>51060541
Tons of useful shit in there. Resources, item lists, clarifications. Download it you nut.
>>
>>51065121
Fluff that misty step preserves his momentum but can change the vector, and skip his ass across the water like a stone (and into a nice big rock)
>>
>>51065042
>To make strength more useful.
No, the actual justification.
>A stronger character will be able to move faster in heavy armor, thus better dodging blows
But you didn't say anything about the damage reduction applying while they were wearing armor in the first place. Also, Dexterity is already supposed to cover speed of movement, and in any case it really doesn't matter how strong you are in real life re: how quickly you can move in armor because the weight is evenly distributed.

Look, I also want Strength to be more useful, but this is preposterous. You're proposing a "solution" that hews against the mechanics of D&D by introducing a kind of damage reduction that as far as I know doesn't exist anywhere else, based on terminology that doesn't exist anywhere else in the system (they're turns of combat, not rounds: were you referring to something else?), based on a usurpation of how ability scores are supposed to apply, based on an initial falsehood that has nothing necessarily at all to do with the solution in the first place! That's not fixing anything!
>>
>>51065042
Then they shouldn't be wearing so much armour, or they should get more strength.
>>
>>51065042
A Strength 10 character can sprint and fight without penalty while carrying 150 lbs! What on earth do you expect a fantasy adventurer is carrying into combat as part of their "simple combat load," a dozen fucking bazooka rounds?
>>
>>51064977
>rolling
>for
>Stats

Well, you're got better stats than standard array or point buy easily.

This means you don't need to multiclass at all into warlock or anything.

Variant human, PAM. 17 strength, 13 dex, 14 con, 8 int, 11 wis, 17 charisma. At level 4, up both strength and charisma by 1.
You can swap dex and wis if you want.

Go oathbreaker if you're allowed to (Because it's overpowered) or otherwise choose between crown (I can't remember. Just some nice spells and something), vengeance (You like to hit things a lot), devotion (Supportey), ancients (Very supportey.)

Well, that's how I'd do it all anyway. You don't need to multiclass unless you want to do some weird paladin/sorcerer thing with smiting, which is good if you want to burst damage like hell but doesn't have some of paladin's great supportive features.
>>
>>51065205
>>51065264
So let's assume he's preserving momentum. He's coming from a few hundred feet in the air, and trying to do it right before he hits the water, *into* the water.

What would happen realistically? This is also at the base of a waterfall / cliff. Would he slam into rocks underwater? What kind of damage / rolls for damage mitigation am I looking at?
>>
>>51065191
I'd probably do it so there's a line and the last die can either be rolled within your own area or into the opponent's area. Thus, if they want to give it to the opponent, they simply roll it further.

I don't see how you could break it unless somebody was slow to roll.
>>
>>51065186
As far as I know nobody else has made a character yet. I'll get a little more specific I guess. Supposing that I wanted to make a paladin, does anyone have any tips for making paladins in 5e or suggestions for multiclassing and such?
>>
>>51060180
Do they, like, have a theme other than that they're bards?
>>
>>51065349
Ah, thanks, didn't see this post yet. I'll look into Oathbreaker. What do people think about the paladin fighting style options? The shield one looks pretty good.
>>
>>51065349
>>51064977
Oh, and, go quarterstaff+shield+duelling if you want to be a bit tankier, go pike/halberd for a bit more damage and a bit more combat flexibility with either GWF fighting style if your DM allows the RAW of rerolling damage dice from smites and such or defense otherwise probably maybe which still allows you to switch over to shield+quarterstaff for super tankiness if you want.

And there you have it, you're successfully a metagaming bastard in a
>rolling for stats
game.
>>
>>51065269
>No, the actual justification.
That is the actual justification, because it's a game. Why can rooks only move at right angles and bishops are the same but diagonal?

>But you didn't say anything about the damage reduction applying while they were wearing armor in the first place.
That's what "while wearing medium or heavy armor" means, sorry if it was unclear somehow

>Also, Dexterity is already supposed to cover speed of movement
Why isn't dexterity tied to your movement speed then?

>it really doesn't matter how strong you are in real life re: how quickly you can move in armor because the weight is evenly distributed.
It has nothing to do with weight distribution and everything to do with total weight. No one moves in 80 pounds of plate mail like they do in 8 pounds of clothes.

>hews against the mechanics of D&D
Damage reduction is not new to D&D, just new to 5e

>(they're turns of combat, not rounds: were you referring to something else?
PHB 189:
>The game organizes the chaos of combat into a cycle of rounds and turns. A round represents about 6 seconds in the game world. During a round, each participant in a battle takes a turn

>That's not fixing anything!
Then fuck off and fix it yourself.
>>
Is there any reason to wear armor as a Barbarian, or is sticking unarmored straight-up better?
>>
>>51065426
Shield is bad if you get polearm mastery because you cannot use more than one reaction a turn. And, really, you want polearm mastery. Because it's great. You'd rather have duelling if you have a shield for +2 damage on PAM which makes up to four attacks a round for up to +8 damage due to duelling.

I mean, you don't 'have' to go PAM if you don't care so much about doing damage, but if you're an oathbreaker you should really really go PAM for ridiculous gamebreaking damage.
>>
What class is the best for psychic / magic detective?

My first choice is mystic, but if my DM doesn't allow it for some reason (despite allowing shit like gunslinger and blood hunter before) then I think I am going for Lore Bard. Anything else am I missing? Inquisitive Rogue with Wizard dip or something?
>>
>>51060180
Da Ji Baa
>>
>>51065269
>they're turns of combat, not rounds
>>
>>51065369
1d6 per 10 feet fallen to a max of 20d6 is normal falling damage
I'd imagine it's not that different slamming into water unless surface tension stops being a thing. However, you'll still take bludgeoning damage anyways since you're rapidly displacing water.
>>
>>51065334
>A Strength 10 character can sprint and fight without penalty while carrying 150 lbs!
Those are the standard rules, not the variant encumbrance rules (PHB 176). Under the variant rules you (with 10 strength) can only carry 50lbs before taking a -10ft movement penalty. Going over 100lbs means -20ft movement speed and disadvantage on basically everything. It's really harsh, and why most people I know don't use that variant.
>>
>>51065457
100% Divination Wizard
>>
>>51065369
I suggested changing the vector because
a) Otherwise he'll die
and
b) It would be funny

If you're moving at any significant speed, slamming into a body of water is like hitting concrete.
>>
>>51064851
The Goliath pally in my party has been wrecking shit with his 20 STR.

Examples include smashing trapped statues, kicking in doors, carrying other PCs, hammering through solid rock and more.

At one point, he disabled a golem miniboss by hitting it with a door he kicked in.

Since my warlock weighs about the same as a duck, he has been used as a shoulder-mounted turret before.
>>
>>51065426
Be very careful about spell. You can't cast spell that has somatic component but no material component ( like cure wound )with both hand full.
>>
>>51065452
Your unarmoured AC is unlikely to surpass armour unless you're a dex barbarian/multiclassed dex barbarian/multiclassed barbarian into an armour-hating class (druid/monk) or a very high level.
>>
>>51065498
Oh that could work too! Thanks. Might have to invest in skilled though.
>>
>>51065452
Usually unarmored is better unless your CON score is really low, and low CON barbarians typically aren't a great idea
>>
>>51065554
>>51065452
Or if you're a stat-rolling faggot.

>>51065557
You could start with a level in rogue which'll give you +2 skills, +thieves' tools proficiency, +2 max HP and 2 expertises as well as proficiency in more armour and weapons. However, that'd affect spellcasting progression and you won't make great use of sneak attack.
>>
>>51064851
Strength applies to HP in addition to Con.

It also punishes people who dump strength on casters too.
>>
>>51065548
Drawing or putting away your weapon is a free action though, so you can sheath a sword and cast a spell with no problems - you just won't have your sword available for an attack of opportunity until next round. You could just shield bash though (1d4 improvised weapon), most DMs are fine with that.
>>
>>51065573
>usually
If you do stats normally, you won't even match half-plate until you have +5 and +2 or +4 and +3 in con and dex. Even at level 12 you probably won't have reached that point if you've been focusing on important feats / strength.

>>51065574
>>51065557
Oh, also forgot to mention thieves' cant there.
You could also take a couple of levels of bard for jack of all trades, +1 skill, +2 max HP, actually keeping spellcasting progression somewhat, light armour... Some stuff. It might cripple your wizardlyness at lower levels.

Maybe just going bard would be better.
>>
>>51065574
I will keep that in mind. I really want to have Keen Mind on him as his Variant Human feat.
>>
>>51065596
I like this idea except that it would really inflate health pools later on
>>
>>51065596
Way to make paladins even more godly.
>>
>>51065449
>Why can rooks only move at right angles and bishops are the same but diagonal?
Because Chess isn't anything like actual combat, while D&D is supposed to at least be a fantastical facsimile of it.
Fuck me, you're right, you did mention that. Sorry, I was getting off the hook.
>Why isn't dexterity tied to your movement speed then?
I suppose they figured the connection to AC was enough, which does exactly the stated thing that you're trying to use Strength for.
>Damage reduction is not new to D&D, just new to 5e
Right, and it'd be a design philosophy mess to just throw it in there!
>Then fuck off and fix it yourself
Look, I don't have to have an alternative solution in mind before I go and point out the very obvious flaws of yours.

>>51065484
Sorry, yeah, I think I got a little carried away there.
>>
>>51065614
There is no such thing as free action in 5e. Drawing or putting weapon away is object interaction.

Use the right term or go back to your fox girl!!!
>>
>>51065452
Barbarians have proficiency with medium armor, and that goes up to 14 + Dex (or 15 if you don't mind Stealth disadvantage). So until your Constitution is 18 or greater (or unless you're pumping up Dex before you've maxed Str and Con for some reason), armor is better.

Once you cap Constitution, though, that of course becomes the better option.
>>
>>51060180
The Little Deaths.
>>
>>51065623
>If you do stats normally, you won't even match half-plate
I guess it depends on how quickly you can get your hands on half plate
>>
>>51065665
There are quite a few class feature that doesn't work with armor
>>
>>51065662
>There is no such thing as free action in 5e
But

>You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action

A-Aren't we both right senpai? ;_;
>>
>>51065730
You can easily get it by either level 4 or level 8.

Before then, you can easily get the no-stealth-disadvantage 16 AC armour. To match that, you'd need a +3 in both con and dex, which would likely be a result of something like 17 str + 16 con + 15 dex - > 18 str + 16 con + 16 dex, provided you did point buy and dumped the fuck out of int, charisma and wisdom (all 8s) and you have a +2 str, +1 con class. That's at level 4, so that works until you get half-plate for 17 AC later (providing you're fine with getting stealth disadvantage, but then even without 16 dex/16con you could've just worn a breastplate for no stealth disadvantage)
>>
>>51065771
>>51065730
Or, I guess, scale mail for 50gp that gives stealth disadvantage and 16 AC.

Point being that you really have to go off-course on barbarian and stray away from focusing on damage-boosting ASIs (Feats or strength) to make it happen.

Dex barbarian is a thing, though, good for barbaroguing.

An ordinary barbarian should not be using unarmoured defence unless they do it for style.
>>
>>51065639
>>51065647
Barbarians, Fighters, and Other Martials get to be tanky with lots of health.

Clerics, Valor Bards and others who only get light-medium have a benefit to support strength rather than taking Dex every time.

Druids, Wizards and other casters have reasons not to dump strength to 8 whenever possible without exception.

These are bad things?

>>51065647
>Paladins, Godly.
I mean, I get that they are better than most martials but come on, this is three point five point five, casters rule, cast Levitate and whooops, Paladin is helpless and useless until the wizard says otherwise.
>>
>>51065734
Just heavy armor I think

>>51065771
Yeah I guess it depends on the DM. In my current campaign we're level 5 and the best thing anyone's found (well, looted) is studded leather, though a smith (that we had to intimidate into giving us a huge discount because 400gp was more than the entire party had) is supposedly working on making a breastplate for our Paladin, but it's taking him a week.
>>
>>51065818
> not playing 16 STR 8 INT Dwarf Wizard
>>
>>51061969
I read about revenants in the Monster Manual and considered talking to my DM about playing one, probably limiting some abilities to keep it from being OP
>>
File: firefox_2017-01-07_01-18-40.png (16KB, 399x291px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2017-01-07_01-18-40.png
16KB, 399x291px
Need a clarification, does radiant consumption (from scourge aasimar) counts as a magical light source?
and would it get dispelled by the darkness spell?
>A creature with darkvision can’t see through this darkness, and nonmagical light can’t illuminate it.
>If any of this spell’s area overlaps with an area of light created by a spell of 2nd level or lower, the spell that created the light is dispelled.
>>
>>51065835
Ulfrun the Dense.
Level 8 Conjuration Wizard Sage.
HP 66hp
AC 18AC
Speed 25ft
STR 19
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 8
Saves: Int, Wis.
Gear: Battleaxe, Fullplate.
Skills: History, Arcana, Insight, Religion, Brewer's Tools.
Abilities & Traits: Darkvision, Dwarven Resileince, Stonecunning, Dwarven Combat & Armour training, Arcane Recovery, ASI(+1STR, +1CON, Heavy Armour Training), Conjuration Savant, Minor Conjuration, Benign Transposition.
Spell slots: 4-1st level, 3-2nd level, 3-3rd level, 2-4th level.
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Prestidigitation, Mage hand, Mending.
Spells: Absorb elements, Find Familiar, Fog cloud, Identify, Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile, Unseen Servant, Cloud of Daggers, Knock, Misty Step, Levitate, Counterspell, Haste, Leomunds Tiny Hut, Wall of Sand, Conjure Minor elementals, Fire Shield, Greater Invisiblity, Dimension Door.

Ulfrun is a wizard, a very lazy and poor one at that. He paid little attention in his studies, performed poorly on examinations and only barely managed to achieve the minimum passable grades to be released from the academy as a fully fledge wizard. Many who know him refer to him as "Ulfrun the Dense", a nickname he misunderstands the insult as praise for his stocky build and hardy figure. He perferred Conjuration magic, it was convenient he claimed, using it to shortcut many efforts in life by simply summoning an unseen servant to do it for him if he couldn't summon it himself, some have even claimed to see him teleport up a flight of stairs rather than walk them, others have seen him use a Secret Chest enchantment to keep a supply of snacks and food in. He never understood why spellcasters shun armour, he never found it to interfere with his magic at all, simply yell the magic words and club the bastard upside the head, simple.
>>
>>51065818
> cast Levitate and whooops, Paladin is helpless and useless until the wizard says otherwise.

Vengence paladin cast misty step, teleport behind you and unsheath his edgey katana.
>>
>>51065846
>https://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf

They released a player Revenant option, here you go.
>>
>>51065861
>divine energy
I'd say so
>>
>>51065887
Thanks friendo
>>
>>51065818
>casting spells on a paladin
>+charisma to all their saving throws
You can try. Levitate is a concentration spell, so somebody will just whack the guy who did it anyway.
Paladin is a 1 per team thing. They can heal without spellslots (and heal 1 hitpoint at a time if they feel like it), they have auras, oathbreaker is fucking overpowered, their burst damage is unlike anybody else's and they have 1d10 hitdice + good armour (Can easily go quarterstaff+shield+defense+plate armour for 21 AC if they want), etc etc. They actually get decent spell flexibility too (oath spells + can switch out spells whenever) and have a channel divinity for a bit of crowd control or.. Whatever it is they want to do with it.

They're already top-tier alongside most full casters, but you don't need more than one of them per team and they don't fulfill a full caster's role.
>>
Seems like bandits and goblins are the go-to introduction monsters for level 1 adventurers. But there are a bunch of other CR 1/4 creatures out there.

What low level baddies have you always wanted to use or wish you could have fought as a low level adventurer?
>>
>>51065878
You cast shield, next turn use an action to hurl him back into useless.
>>
>>51065818
I just worry about how it might dampen monster CR ratings over time for a sufficiently tanky party

Although I guess it also means you'd have to recalculate monster HP for every single creature in the book (yikes)
>>
>>51065916
Mephits seem kinda fun
>>
>>51065818
Oh, also, all the clerics would go heavy armour domains instead of dexterity ones, monks would be EVEN SQUISHIER compared to all the other martials (no, they don't have spare stat points to go to strength), it'd likely encourage fighters to go strength instead of dexterity (and go warlock or something if they want to be ranged) and barbarians.. Would be massive fucking meatwads considering they have resistance on that extra HP.
Also it probably encourages multiclassing sorcerer and warlock even more than they're already encouraged to.

All this, and you've only really managed to lightly nerf wizards/bards or something like that with a particularly good buff to the non-versatile martials (but not making them any more versatile, just making them even more single-trick bloatponies)
>>
>>51065916
Once had a new party that was attacked by a goblin beastmaster/trainer and his pet giant crabs

It was actually kind of scary with their relatively high AC and auto-grapple
>>
>>51065963
Yeah I like them too. They seem to have interesting personality.

I've thought about having them portrayed as spirits that have overrun a bathhouse or something.

I've also thought about running a low level campaign that uses raptors and other dinosaurs. With a T-Rex thrown in at the end or mid-way through the session as something that should definitely be avoided. And have a skill challenge to run away.
>>
>>51066017
If i was confident enough to make a large scale campaign, I think they'd be a good way to initially show the players hat something's wrong. Like Ice mephits along an idyllic country lane, or lava mephits is a storehouse. Just causing a ruckus where they shouldn't be
>>
>>51062102

This brings up something for me:

I'm a new DM, and our group has finished the 5e starter campaign (lost mines of phandalin), and we ended up picking Out of the Abyss as our first 'proper' campaign, so we're about 40 hours or so into that.

For the starter, I let people roll whatever they wanted (in lieu of the default characters), with the proviso that they had to pick from same races as the defaults (human, elf/half-elf, dwarf, halfing IIRC, i.e. the locally common races), and everything had to be picked from the stock PHB. The logic here is that the campaign really seemed to encourage subterfuge for key parts of the plot, impersonating the local gang and that sort of thing, which would kinda clash with the conspicuousness of the entire region's only dragonborn and tiefling suddenly pretending they've been part of the gang all along. Reading the fluff for those 2 really made it seem like either one walking into a town would draw serious attention, which I didn't think grooved well with the module (esp. as it's a starter one).

For Abyss, I let people re-roll their characters (keeping their experience levels) for any *official 5e* race, class etc. My logic was that it would keep it at least decently balanced, and perhaps more importantly, prevent ridiculously special snowflake stupid fanmade races and classes the size of houses that can shit gold or whatever.

Is any of this unreasonable, at least for a DM who isn't super experienced?
>>
>>51065915
> (Can easily go quarterstaff+shield+defense+plate armour for 21 AC if they want)
Why not just use a one handed 1d10 melee weapon?
>>
>>51066125
Nah, that sounds fine. As long as your players are ok with your rules it's ok. You gotta learn just as much as you players do
>>
>>51066179
I guess he want bonus attack action with PAM?
>>
>>51066179
PAM bonus attack+opportunity attacks
>>
Which class is the best for aspiring "world builder"? I want to minecraft shit up creating house,tower and other kind of structure over night.

Maybe some dungeons too.
>>
>>51066287
Wizard, obviously.

Cast Demiplane, done.
>>
>>51065349
Thanks for the advice, dude! What is it exactly that makes Oathbreaker broken? I looked at the description but I wasn't really seeing it.
>>
>>51066266
>>51066225
I keep forgetting PAM is usable with a quarter staff
>>
>>51064159
You make me blush
>>
>>51066364
But not spears, because that makes sense.
>>
>>51066340
You get +CHA to damage at level 7.

Considering that with PAM you can make either 3 or 4 attacks, that's up to +15 or +20 damage a round.
Sure, the other paladin archetype level 7 features are good, but it's not as good as fucking +damage to every single fucking attack.

It does have the downside of technically buffing enemies as well, though.
>>
>>51064364
GREAT WEAPON FIGHTING

>be battle master
>have great weapon master feat
>have precision attack
>18 strength

You could potentially be a level 3 that does MINIMUM 17 damage. If you crit bruh that's another minimum 3 PLUS ANOTHER ATTACK MINIMUM 17 FOR A WHOPPING 37 MINIMUM and holy shit if that other attack is a crit as well you're looking at a fucking 40

Do you want to know what the maximum potential a level 3 fighter has? DO YOU?!?!?

>12+12+4+10= 38
>PLUS ANOTHER 26 OR 38 IF MAX CRIT
>FOR A TOTAL OF EITHER 64 OR FUCKING 76

LEVEL 3

AND IT IS YOUR FIRST TURN TOO
>>
>>51063966
>>51063905
I'm gonna run a heist campaign, humanoid guards will be regular enemies but they will try to use tactics like
>Use the disarm action
>Overrun/tumble to move through player space and pick up their weapon

>use their poleweapons to cut stuff that's hanging such as flower pots and candelabra

>All guards carry oil bottles which they will use to douse intruders
>Other guards use torches on the doused player.

and for crazier unrelated stuff I thought about orcs who looted a merchant caravan and obtained flying carpets, so now they terrorize people from the sky throwing spears. Alternative they raided an alchemy lab, drank a bunch of potions and got random mutations like wings.
>>
>>51066196

For the most part, yeah they were okay with it, even if not straight away (they did rigorously try to find official 5e rules for any and all whacky crazy races they could, but didn't complain much when they couldn't find anything exotic they liked that was official and 5e) - But esp. since they were new I guess they were excited for the idea of going with a whacky 'interesting' race rather than the 'boring' standard ones.

Call me autistic, but it rustles my jimmies in ways I can't quite explain when someone wants to e.g. roll a goblin for a campaign that's half about fighting goblins, and hanging in a town that would be hostile to goblins. Likewise when one guy wants to pick something that stands out like a giant LED snowflake, e.g. a 300lb minotaur from a different setting, in a party of 5 'vanilla' races that would pass for locals or whatever. 'Elephant in the room' and 'bull in a china shop' comes to mind, y'know?
>>
>>51064918
sorry im an awful awful typist
>>
>>51066611
Makes sense, as a more experienced DM, you can start incorporating those elements into your campaigns. Like, it makes sense to do that in Phandelver, but in another campaign, you could impose penalties for the Minotaur trying to blend into a gang of all humans. It also makes it more interesting for players in a way, because when they're less concerned with trying to be super unique, they can find clever ways to try and get around those restrictions.

TL;DR, you're fine for now, but you'll have to learn to deal with that someday if you like DM'ing
>>
>>51066476

Why is it either 3 OR 4?
>>
>>51066705
Haste or no haste?
>>
I want to fuck people up with psychic damage.
Best way I can mind crush people?
>>
File: matakisamaka.jpg (71KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
matakisamaka.jpg
71KB, 1280x720px
How would you build a Protector Aasimar Sun Soul Monk?
>>
>>51066705
Depends if you get your reaction attack or not.
It's easier to get with a reach weapon instead of quarterstaff+shield though, for the reason you
a) have a bigger area you can hit people in and
b) can move away from enemies after attacking them, forcing them to trigger reaction attacks again.

If somebody does use haste on you, that's another trigger for improved divine smite(if you have it), the level 7 feature's damage and a possibility to crit which means the possibility of being able to use a spell slot for a full-efficiency crit smite.
>>
>>51065818
Barbarians and fighters are already tanky with plenty of health by virtue of their large hit dice and other class features. Several cleric domains get heavy armor prof and bards are already great as is. And if the other caster classes dump str so what? That 8 has to go somewhere. So what if barbarian has 8 int? So what if the ranger has 8 cha? So what if the wizard has 8 str?

Also you're making str completely overshadow con, which is unnecessary.
>>
>>51066859
>only stat up is +1 wis
You just fucking don't.
>>
>>51066701

Well the Minotaur thing wouldn't be so bad in a campaign like Abyss, and if everyone in the group was keen on it, then I'd definitely allow it. It's not that it would be stupid if it didn't come with a penalty (as you mentioned, that's easy to do) - But if you throw in a decent penalty for that sort of thing, then in my mind at least that discourages certain avenues that the /other/ players might want to take (and trying to blend in low-key style is a perfect example, even in the underdark).

I know personally if I were a player in such a group, I would start getting annoyed that no one wants to do risk (even basic) james bond shit because the Ogre-Centaur-Giant can barely fit in the door, let alone be subtle and pass as a guest at a party or something. Again, maybe that's my bad, but it doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

I'm also not quite sure how letting a player be a super unique race would let them be 'less concerned with trying to be super unique'? ... To my mind, my players would either act MORE special unique because they're acting according to their special race, or they would quickly get complacent and forget they're 30ft tall and 10ft wide. Meanwhile I have to balance realistic NPC reactions to a special snowflake race, against derailing the source book's intended plotline because of it. I guess when you get experienced enough to write your own campaign this is less of an issue, but re-writing an entire campaign to accommodate one guy's obsession with large, show-off races (which reminds me of furries strangely enough) still seems a bit meh. I still stand by the goblin thing being entirely retarded though.
>>
>>51066952
> muh optimization
Guess you only play Variant human
>>
>>51066918

Ahh yeah, I think I remember reading up on this.

However, what stops you from doing a) even with a quarterstaff + shield? Even if you had 10ft reach, wouldn't you still trigger their opportunity attack, since you would be moving out of their reach?
>>
>>51067043
>play monk
>barely give a fuck about getting high dex/wis because '>optimizing'
>picking up feats instead of upping dex/wis because '>optimizing'
>cry when you realize your AC is worse than the wizard's with your health is at best only a few points better, yet you don't have the power or versatility the wizard does. Your damage is close to any other martial, and your stunning strikes have a pitiful save DC, the rogue is better at stealth than you and generally faster and all you really have left going for you is roleplaying and even that sucks because you can't cover up your failure of a character with roleplay alone.

You can get away with a half-orc wizard. You can't get away with it on the most stat-hungry class in the game, however.
>>
>>51067090
If you have a quarterstaff and move into range to attack them (say, they weren't in range on their turn or they were waiting for you to move to them) then you can't move away without taking a possible opportunity hit.
If you have a reach weapon, you can attack them at 10ft then move away again.

That's pretty much it, anyway, it's so that you can engage an enemy without losing your potential reaction attack / having to get yourself hit.
>>
>>51067090
The idea is that you have a 10 ft range and you step within 10 feet of your enemy with a 5 foot range. You attack, step back. Their turn, they have to step into your range to attack you with melee, AoO
>>
>>51067110
>>51067043
Sorry, I meant to say 'your damage isn't close to any other martial'

Considering you make up to four attacks at level 5, you're getting 4x your dex modifier in damage at that point. Or 3x your dex modifier if you don't flurry. That's kind of a big deal when a rogue only adds 1x their dex modifier.
>>
>>51067110
Not that guy, but I run a game for a half-orc monk and he does just fine.
I think he has an AC of 15, the alert feat, and only 12 con.

I guess if you were playing a standard adventure though or your DM doesn't balance based on party strength it would be a problem.

It's 5e. Hard to build someone that's completely worthless. Let them play what they want.
>>
>>51067137
>Their turn, they have to step into your range to attack you with melee, AoO
Wait, what? I thought AoOs only triggered when they moved OUT of your range.
>>
>>51066179
What fucking one handed 1d10 melee weapon?
>>
>>51067167
It's time to read the text for Polearm Mastery
>>
>>51067181
Longsword with Dueling?
>>
>>51067194
That doesn't make it a 1d10 weapon.
It makes it a 1d8 weapon with +2, which is better.
>>
>>51067147
Only 1 dex behind, so that's like... what? 3 or 4 damage? On the other hand, he can add 5 damage every round and while flying.
>>
File: Liga_Klavina_-_Legolas.jpg (707KB, 1001x600px) Image search: [Google]
Liga_Klavina_-_Legolas.jpg
707KB, 1001x600px
>Bows require strength to use properly: a bow with higher draw weight can shoot arrows straighter and faster than a lighter one. Ranged attack rolls and damage rolls made using bows use your STR modifier.
>Crossbows, firearms, and other ranged weapons use DEX.
Considering this as a house rule. Would this break anything?
>>
>>51067127
>>51067137

Right. So, an advantage, but not necessarily a rinse and repeat one unless you're willing to disengage using your action and let them come at you again and again (triggering your reaction each time).

>>51067167

You trigger an enemies' op. attack when you move out of their reach.

An enemy triggers your op. attack when it moves out of your reach.
>>
>>51067190
My bad, I hadn't read the whole reply thread. Thanks.
>>
>>51067110
>>51067147
Most people waste their first ASI on feat anyway. So you can catch up at level 4.
>>
>>51067217
I'd honestly kind of prefer this.
Would give dex a bit of a nerf and have more reasons for people to go str.

I also like the houserule that says str would give +movement or -movement depending on your modifier.

It's way too easy to just ignore str and int in 90% of builds with no drawbacks.
>>
>>51067217

Just because the bow/arrow itself shoots 'straighter' doesn't mean that it will be more accurate to be strong than dexterous - You need to aim precisely, and have good physical technique. A very strong man can handle the recoil from a gun better than an average build man, but a highly dexterous man will outshoot him every time.

It would arguably make rangers and fighters more flexible (i.e. stronger in their off-role). Even melee-orientated fighters could do decent steady DPS at range, and rangers would be able to throw down in close combat with whatever weapons they wanted. There would be virtually no reason to go crossbows etc that use dex imo.
>>
>>51067155
I've played with a monk that had only +2 in dex and wis, and they decided to take a feat instead otf upping their stats at level 4.

He was absolutely fucking useless at combat, all the time. It was an absolute joke. And while that can be fun, he wanted to actually do stuff sometimes.

AC 14 on a melee 1d8 hitdice fighter that doesn't have any notable survivability features like second wind or rage, with attacks that only do either 1d8+2 or 1d4+2 damage, a save DC of only 12.
His stealth is only +2 (or +4 with proficiency, can't remember).

The party rogue is tougher than him HP-wise, has a higher AC than him, has more reliable attacks, deals more damage if he does hit, has more versatility (can fight at range), is stealthier than him, is faster than him generally (Bonus action to dash without ki)...
Basically, does all the same things but better. I guess the monk has slowfall and deflect missiles, but those are barely used.

>>51067248
But then what's to say the monk that doesn't care enough about their stats doesn't blow their ASI there either?

>>51067205
>flying
Well, I forgot that protector aasimar in particular could fly once a long rest, which opens up the possibility of mitigating monk's close ranged weakness by buzzing around like an annoying blasterfly. A warlock would do the same thing but much better, though.
I guess it's not too suboptimal then, but the point still stands that unlike top-tier classes most monks won't survive poor stats.
>>
>>51067306
>A very strong man can handle the recoil from a gun better than an average build man, but a highly dexterous man will outshoot him every time.
Yeah. My only real problem is that has more to do with how D&D has "dexterity" meaning a few of different things: manual dexterity, reaction time, dodging ability, and so on. My feeling is that taking away bows (not even all ranged weapons) from DEX is as reasonable a sin as making a stat as broad as DEX was in the first place. I've also considered having DEX being the attack roll modifier with STR being the damage modifier for bows, but personally I find that annoyingly clunky enough that using STR for both seems the lesser of two evils. What do you think about that?

>There would be virtually no reason to go crossbows etc that use dex imo.
I'm not sure what you meant by this, exactly. Why wouldn't somebody with higher Dexterity choose a crossbow over a bow in this case?
>>
>>51067320
Monk only need WIS after level 5. Protector Aasimar is fine. Just have to realize the fact that all monk are reduce to stun machine gun after level 5.
>>
>>51064557
Same reason alot of churches close, shifting demographics aND consolidation of parishioners into larger churches. Some places of worship just close down, and the new ones already have the staff they need.

I'm thinking of doing a Rogue/Thief with Acolyte background.

What would you suggest? How could I get the "handyman" feel?
>>
>>51067410
I think Rogues have the most general skills, so if you want lots of those that would probably be your best class, yeah. As for being a handyman, I'm honestly not sure how that could be reflected mechanically.
>>
>>51067320
Again, mileage may vary.
My player being a half-orc he has been able to utilize his orc feature to remain at 1 HP to tank a lot of damage though.

And now that they're almost level 10 he doesn't seem to fall behind others that much in combat. He seems to have a good sense of what is good at dex and/or str so he knows which save to force on a creature and it succeeds quite often.

His deflect missiles and slow fall have also come in handy numerous times. But again, mileage will vary.

As a DM I give challenges that allow players to make use of their abilities if they play to them well.

The rogue in the party is indeed stealthier, and generally a better combatant. But no one seems to mind as they all like their shirtless orc friend that punches people in the face.

I guess if you're the kind of player that wants everyone at the top of their game 100% of the time, and your DM throws very challenging combats your way, I can see how having an ally under performing would be frustrating. For our group, however, role play is emphasized more heavily than combat.
>>
>>51067410
Also, for race I'm thinking variant human, with Magic Initiate, picking Cleric with
>Mend
>Spare the dying
>Cure wound

What bonus skill should I pick for variant human?

Is there a better way to go about all this?
>>
>>51067430
Mystic with Mind Vault focus can get any skill or tool proficiency as a bonus action.
>>
>>51067404
Dex still provides them with stealth, AC, damage, hit-chance, dex saves, whatever.

You need to hit in the first place to use stunning strike, and while you have enough attacks to normally pull it off it helps to ensure you can get that hit or hit several enemies in a row and stun all of them.

You need AC to not die when you've moving into stunning range. Same for dex saves. You'll burden your team otherwise.

Stealth is.. Stealth. You're unarmoured, it's part of your job if nobody else can do it.

Damage helps give you a little more function than just stunning people. Sure, you won't do more damage than some others, but actually doing any damage at all makes you a bit more than a monotonous stun machine.

I'd say that it just shifts from 'dexterity is a very important stat and wisdom is an important stat' to 'dexterity AND wisdom are an important stat' at that point.

Honestly, I think the main problem is unarmoured defence in its entirety. Monks can't wear armour and are forced to rely on their stats to have even a decent AC, whereas most classes have a fairly stable AC regardless of their stats with minimal variation.
>>
>>51067460
Do people actually use stealth in game? We always have that one character "kick door and koll things first, think later" ruining a possible stealth moment.
>>
>>51067445
I wouldn't say the ally underperforming is frustating to my end.

It's more frustrating on their end. They want to do cool things sometimes rather than fall flat on their face at everything they try.
They arrive early to save the princess, but they punch repeatedly and do jack shit because they're useless in combat. Then they go down because their defences suck. Then everybody else arrives and they're there being a dead weight.
And there are times they have succeded at things. But every time they've succeeded at something, it's usually due to roleplay rather than anything related to stats. The stats are doing everything they can to make sure he can't achieve. And, given monks are rather incompatible with most common magical items, the DM has to kindly tailor ones that will make them not-shit again and play vaguely on-level with the party.
>>
>>51067499
My players seem to like to use it.
But I've got a party that consists of a monk, rogue, ranger, and druid.
>>
>>51067499
Kinda varies. Usually it doesn't amount to much, but if you do use stealth then getting a surprise round is invaluable.
The loud and noisy (See: Dumped dex and has disadvantage on stealth and no proficiency in it) players tend to leave the stealthy players to do their thing or help out in their own way sometimes. I mean, distractions can help.

I guess it's quite variable, much like how the assassin rogue archetype is quite variable in milage.

>>51067512
That druid's probably the stealthiest of all.
>pass without trace
>turn into animals and sneak around
>>
>>51067372

Yes dex is broad, but you get compensation by going other routes.

Instead of the AC from DEX, you would go for better armours (which require STR to use).

Instead of the attack modifers from DEX, you obviously get them from STR, but you also get a much better selection of melee weapons to pick from.

From what I understand, no one plays with strict weight limits, but STR helps you there where DEX does not.

etc etc. In short, I don't think DEX is broken or anything, even if it does affect several things - STR affects almost as many when you count armour requirements and weapon modifiers.

As for the half STR/DEX bow idea ... eh. It's more realistic, but what would it accomplish? No one would make a bow build because you'd have to split stats, people would just go straight dex with crossbows or whatever if they wanted a range build. STR fighters can already use javelins which are 1d6 like shortbows. They'd get more range with a shortbow (80/320 rather than 30/120), and a small bonus to DPS with a longbow (1d8), sure, but they can use javs (1 hand) with a shield at least.

>There would be virtually no reason to go crossbows etc that use dex imo.

That means it would be always smarter to make a fighter or ranger based on STR, and use bows. No one would use DEX, along with a DEX based weapon (e.g. crossbows). Chars with already higher DEX of course are stuck where they are, but fresh ones you'd roll STR as higher stat over DEX and use bows.
>>
>>51067507
>the DM has to kindly tailor ones that will make them not-shit again and play vaguely on-level with the party
In my opinion a DM should be sort of doing this regardless. There's always going to be someone lacking. In his case though, sounds like it's more extreme.

I can imagine having stats work against you can be annoying. But again, in the many many hours I've run 5e, characters with horrible stats still seem to do okay in combat because of bounded accuracy. Unfortunately, sometimes bounded accuracy works against you, however.
It really boils down to how your DM runs and designs combats, as well as how he plays his character. And then of course, his rolls.

Even a fully optimized character can have shit rolls and die. I've seen it more than once. Just the nature of the beast. (Of course, the likelihood changes when you optimize, but I hope you get the point I'm making).

If your friend really isn't having fun though, he should talk to his DM about getting to change his character. In my game, the player is having a blast, so there's no worries. I don't feel like someone should be forced to keep playing a character they aren't enjoying.
>>
>>51067536
>That druid's probably the stealthiest of all.
>>pass without trace
>>turn into animals and sneak around

Ironically he's the worst. But that's because he's a new player and doesn't know what he's doing 80% of the time.
>>
New thread when?
>>
>>51067655
NOW >>51067727
>>
>>51067563
>No one would use DEX, along with a DEX based weapon (e.g. crossbows).
But I don't think this is true. A finesse rapier-wielding bard could go fully into Strength and get damage from non-finesse weapons, but they don't because Dexterity is useful for other shit as well.
>>
>>51060180
The Meme Team

or

Game That Doesn't Go Beyond Three Sessions
>>
File: josefuumi.jpg (29KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
josefuumi.jpg
29KB, 240x240px
>>51060147
i'm using pic related as a stand-in for my character

should i have him fly off the handle and attack whenever his hair insulted?
Thread posts: 379
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.