[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 29

File: 1482865055660.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1482865055660.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>Latest News
No UA until January 9
Paladin UA http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Thread >>51030218

no clever question because previous thread at the edge of page 10
>>
5e is adequate, but that's about it.
>>
What's your character favorite fruit?
>>
>>51039157
>Grumpy, barely 5 foot tall TN human Blue Dragon Sorc
Probably apples. The sour kind.
>>
>>51039157
goodberries
>>
>>51039157
Pomegranate, he loves to peck at the seeds

I hate pomegranate IRL
>>
>>51039157
What kind of gay question is this?
>>
>>51039195
I will use it to determine your stating attribute point. Your answer mean you got -2 CHA btw. Maybe -2 CON too, since your PC probably didn't have enough vitamin to be healthy.
>>
>>51039195
The sort that gets asked when the previous thread falls off the board but there isn't really anything substantive to discuss.

Since we're stuck, here's something:
https://youtu.be/QoELQ7px9ws

Oh shit, a person presenting themselves as an expert in RPGs! And saying nice things about 4e!?

I actually think he's got some really good points in this video. Steal mechanics from 4e wherever possible, they're good mechanics. I particularly like keeping the Bloodied condition, just to make hit points very very slightly less woolly.
>>
>>51039254
>2009+8
>still falling for the "your character is you" meme
>>
>what rapier was made for
>dex alternative for bards or rangers who need one hand free for spells

>what rapier is used for
>wait so you're telling me I can go full dex dump, use a rapier and a shield with a breatplate and have like like 19 armor
>>
>>51039374
rogues, too
>>
Have you ever used an improvised weapon?
>>
File: Bucklers.png (209KB, 862x330px) Image search: [Google]
Bucklers.png
209KB, 862x330px
>>51039374
Why would you wear medium armor with full DEX?

Also, yes, shield and rapier is a thing. Look up "swashbuckler". Clue's in the fact that it includes the word Buckler.
>>
>>51039410
No, it isn't worth it, due to 1d4.
>>
>>51039425
Because you can have as much AC as full plate for half the cost and no stealth disadvantage with Medium Armor Master?
>>
New player here. I posted the other day asking help about my fighter and using the homebrew feats from dandwiki, not knowing how ridiculous they were. I told my DM about them and for whatever reason he didn't bat an eye. He's been playing for over 15 years too apparently. My DM also has a house rule allowing a feat every 3 levels, as a variant human I start with 2, then get my 3rd at level 3, and my 4th at level 5, etc. I want to make an extremely strong fighter with the homebrew feats so I hope you guys are willing to help me. Someone also posted this a couple days ago but unfortunately I can't make heads or tails of it. Or perhaps something else entirely. Thanks.
>two-weapon-master feat and extra attacker feat by level 4 because variant human or something, also the fighting style to add dex to your second hit
>+1 AC
>you make an extra attack whenever you take the 'attack' action
>you get an extra attack if you hit with your bonus action two-weapon-fighting attack
>you can choose to take -5 to hit on each attack for +10 to damage
>be level 4
>make 4 fucking +10 damage attacks, each dealing 1d6+DEXMOD as well
>action surge for 6 attacks
>6 fucking attacks at level 4, not even using reactions

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Feats
>>
>>51039374
>>51039425
Seriously, why would anyone leave their off hand unoccupied if they were in a serious fight? Fencing is a sport, you use a single one handed sword because the whole point is to exploit your opponent's openings before they do the same to you. Both contestants could turn up in a full suit of armor, or with assault rifles, if they wanted to be practical.

Fair point about mages who need one hand free, though. Blatantly supernatural made-up rules are one way to make fencing into a practical martial art.
>>
Which is better to grab first for a Shillelagh Cleric, PAM or Sentinel?
>>
>>51039458
True. I'd rather spend the feat on something else, personally (such as the TWF feat that also boosts your AC by one), but that works.

Good lord, captcha, leave me alone. Five checks is too many.
>>
>>51039486
Go arcana cleric, pick up GFB and sword burst. Then pick up magic initiate for shilellagh, plus whatever else.

Always shillelagh GFB. Then at level 8 add wisdom to your attacks.

Then go warcaster
>>
>>51039478
to grab you opponent, to grab a side weapon from your belt to suprise your opponent.
>>
Any good character builder out there?
>>
>>51039610
Chopping Lumber builds character.

So does the Fifth Edition Character Sheet app or android and ipad.
>>
>>51039478
Thief who needs a free hand to use his batbelt
>>
>>51039486
You dont need PAM as Cleric. Your bonus action should be spend on spiritual weapon attack.
>>
>>51039635
>>51039553
Batmind.

Anyone else wish you could draw a dagger and stab someone in the middle of a sword fight? Rogues would benefit from a second chance at their sneak attack for the round, but both drawing a weapon and making a TWF attack are Bonus Actions, and you only get one.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal
TOMB OF FUCKING HORRORS
>>
>>51039741
TIME TO KILL SOME PLAYERS.
>>
>>51039410
I had a goblin try to assassinate a player of mine while they were sleeping. She managed to struggle and disarm the goblin before beating it to unconsciousness with a fiddle she'd recently purchased.
>>
File: Like this but also a healer.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Like this but also a healer.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>51039537
That seems damn good from an offensive perspective but I was looking to make myself as durable as possible and Arcana doesn't get heavy armor. I could take medium armor but I'm making the not so good choice of dump-stat DEX (partially for character theme). I could do a few levels of Paladin for character theme though I suppose.

Basically the goal isn't so much dealing raw damage as it is being a major problem for the enemies attacking my allies with opportunity attacks and generally being hueg and getting in the way.
>>
>>51039683
Drawing a weapon is a free action.
>>
>>51039741
my players aren't even ready for published adventures yet let alone tomb of horrors
>>
>>51039410
I had a player who was a Drunken Master Monk, they get bonuses in usimg improvised weapons so he was always doing it. Worst damage output in the whole party.
>>
Other than the rules, what should I know before making my first character?
>>
>>51039753
I ran in an AL campaign with the staff of defense (+1 AC and 5 charges of shield per day) with a ring of protection (+1 to AC and saves) from the starter set. I'm about as durable as they get.

But sentinel would be a good choice if you are trying to get people to attack you instead. If you are MC'ing then go fighter so you aren't quite as MAD. You also get CON saves for insane spells like Spirit Guardians, while in combat. That would draw lots of aggro from mobs.
>>
>>51039815
The tone of the campaign.
>>
>>51039274
>dissing Matt Colville
Nigga, Matt is pretty fucking great
>>
>>51039815
That 4e is a very good product your group should consider playing instead.
>>
>>51039815
session 0

also, legolas is a fighter, aragorn is a ranger
>>
I've toyed around with the idea of doing a campaign similar to the Doom games for my friends, literally a murderhobo's wet dream. Any first impressions on if this could be done well?
>>
>>51039815
What the game is going to be. Dungeon crawl, classic adventure, sandbox, political kingmaking. If you are running around in dungeons a lot, making a master puppeteer isn't that useful.
>>
>>51039907
Don't make it a murderhobo's wetdream. It will get dull over the months. Make it have a bunch of twists and turns so on the outside it is kill everything but in actuality they have to find clues and put things together.

Unless you don't expect it to last long.
>>
>>51039741
Damn, I hope we get a proper remake of the Caves of Chaos, and maybe Rahasia.
>>
>>51039907
Doom has fast paced and rewarding combat that feels visceral and fun. Are you sure you think you can replicate that with 5e of all things?

>I stand still and attack
>I stand still and cast a spell
>I stand still and make a ranged attack
>I stand still and attack.

Wow. Much doom.
>>
>>51039907
4e trolls in the thread aside, I would use 4e for that. Or at least lift the concept of minions to keep fights fluid.
>>
>>51039741
Damn. Color me interested.
>>
>>51039741
Why are you happy about the least interesting title on the list? Oh yay a trap filled dungeon. How bout we go find that fucking spaceship?
>>
>>51040019
Expedition to Barrier Peaks isn't in it.
>>
File: Hammer_of_Moradin.jpg (11KB, 200x263px) Image search: [Google]
Hammer_of_Moradin.jpg
11KB, 200x263px
So, one of my players wants to play as a Hammer of Moradin, throwing hammers and stuff.
I've told him to play a paladin of vengeance and I'd figure something out for the hammer throwing shenanigans.
I'm torn between giving him an uncommon magic item that requires attunement and lets him do it (Basically a Dwarven Thrower without all the bonuses) or creating a fighting style doing the same, that way he'd have to choose this style over +1AC or Duelist.
What do you guys think, balanced or not? Also, they are level 2 and just starting the campaign.
>>
>>51039461
Anyone?
>>
>>51039274

The video mentions boss AoE effects, and I have a story.

>5e campaign in a modern setting
>be me, ex-eco-terrorist EK with an AK-47 and a bag of guns
>party has a warlock, necromancer, cleric, paladin/warlock, and roguelock
>18th level, fighting Asmodeus in the center of the sun (long story)
>Asmodeus stands at the other end of a 200ft bridge with the sun boiling away to either side
>step forward
you take ten fire damage
>but I'm resistant
nuh uh not against this heat, and it increases by 10 every 10 feet
>party does some math and realizes if we run forward, some of us might reach the boss with barely any hp left (and die the following round)
>I shoot at him
the magnetic field of the sun whips your bullet away
>start thinking that this is some bullshit
>whole party stands there awkwardly for like ten minutes
>cleric opens a gate behind the badguy
>reach through, grab plot macguffin from the surface of the sun
>40d6 fire damage, lose arm
>roguelock teleports away, drops macguffin in the ocean, teleports back
>1 round later, BBEG Wishes macguffin back into place
>almost walk out right there
>>
>>51039861
Kek
>>
File: Rright.jpg (18KB, 262x261px) Image search: [Google]
Rright.jpg
18KB, 262x261px
>>51040046
>it increases by 10 every 10 feet
>magnetic field of the sun whips your bullet away
>yfw
>>
>>51040027
I thought there was one in White Plum Mountain too.
>>
>>51040046
Did he tell you what he wanted?
>>
>>51040032
>I'm torn between giving him an uncommon magic item that requires attunement and lets him do it (Basically a Dwarven Thrower without all the bonuses)

Do this, it's less hassle and throwing weapons are far from overpowered.
>>
>>51040046
>>5e campaign in a modern setting
Nothing about what you said sounds like 5e rules except the classes mentioned. That sounds like an asshole DM.
>>
>>51039907
I think the main thing about DOOM is, actually, survival. You are just a Marine trapped in a planet where everything is going to hell (literally). So i'd think the main focus would be to convey that feeling of helplessness, but also the need to face it with violence and not cleverness.
>>
>>51039838
>>51039929
We're playing storm kings thunder
>>
>>51040046
What was he trying to get you to do?
>>
>>51040185
You are still going to want to know the tone. As written, there are some ridiculously silly and some serious murder face parts in SKT. You can play RP heavy or Loot pinata dungeon crawling. A session 0 is gonna be your best bet.
>>
>>51039157
>Old human wandering wizard Merlin/Gandalf ripoff
I feel he would like pears
>>
>>51040077
ooooooohhhh buddy I have horror stories from that campaign that you won't believe. Lemme give you a taste:

>BBEG had infinite wishes
>half of the plot was resolved by macguffins from past campaigns, despite half the players being new to the table
>all three plot-related superweapons are only wieldable by NPCs
>magic either did or didn't work, depending almost entirely on the DMs wishes

>my first character, a paladin/warlock, was ripped from his fantasy universe to this one
>I ask the DM if I can learn some modern magic UA spells
yes, but it'll take a while
>next session, dm's friend shows up with a paladin warlock who knows modern spells
>also has wings and truesight
>DM is fine with this
>>
File: 1447034548783.png (474KB, 427x583px) Image search: [Google]
1447034548783.png
474KB, 427x583px
>>51040046
Your DM sounds like the most absolute kind of cunt.

So the party can survive in the plasma core of the sun, which is 150 times more dense than water and about 265 million bar pressure, with nothing even resembling breathable oxygen, but the fucking HEAT is what gets you?

Why the shit-sucking Christ did he even allow that your gun would fire under such conditions? Anton Kalashnikov's rifle design may have been divinely inspired, but it strains even my disbelief that even a magical version could fire in the core of the sun.

I mean fucking hell, if he wants to play hyper-real simulationist faggot, then he should do it to the absolute T's. Or, you could have REALLY gotten into a game of 'nuh-uh!'s and said your bullets were a non-ferrous metal, and therefore could not be magnetized.

Fuck your GM. Fuck him with a hot iron poker in his eye.
>>
After looking over the options I'm undecided on which direction I want to go for my hueg beatstick Cleric.

>Firbolg and at least 1 level of druid for background

>Druid 1/Life 19
>Focus more on being big and not dying with healing/keeping allies alive

>Paladin 2/Druid 1/Arcana Cleric 17
or
>Fighter 1/Druid 1/Arcana 18
>Focus more on shitting out damage (Or at least as much as a Cleric can), Paladin one using Smites probably only when using the slot would be better than using a Cleric spell (ie: Thunderous Smite a nigga into a pit of spikes), probably take Dueling with either one
>>
>>51040147
The thing is, he'll surely want to smite with it and RAW he can't. Since it's cool I want to let him do it (up to 20ft), but maybe that's unbalanced, so I considered making him choose it over the other fighting styles.
>>
>>51040121
>>51040209
The badguy or the DM?

The badguy was trying to unlock another badguy from her prison in the center of the sun. The macguffin was the key he was using.

I have no idea what the DM wanted. Our eventual solution was to have the marysue put on his power armor (some bullshit), which made him like CR 25, have the warlock polymorph him into a gold dragon, which then shapeshifted into a high level sorceror and wished for all of us to be immune to magic. This worked somehow, despite all of our other magical resistances and immunities not working.
>>
File: Jaime_kills_Jory.png (259KB, 661x405px) Image search: [Google]
Jaime_kills_Jory.png
259KB, 661x405px
>>51039757
So it is. I'd misread that section, it seems. I suppose drawing two weapons is an action, unless you take that one feat.

Neat. Any future Rogue I play is going to Jaime Lannister people when he misses with his attack action.
>>
>>51040306
Make that a power of the item he has to quest to unlock.
>>
File: Sunlight_spear.jpg (25KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Sunlight_spear.jpg
25KB, 500x281px
>>51040306
Personally I'm fine with thrown weapon Smites, though that's mostly because of a certain vidya game influencing that decision.
>>
>>51039458
Or you could wear light armor, not waste a feat, and have AC that's even better once you hit 20 Dex.
>>
>>51040284
>So the party can survive in the plasma core of the sun
we were on a magically shielded platform that was suspended in the center of the sun. except for the part that wasn't shielded because fuck you.
>Why the shit-sucking Christ did he even allow that your gun would fire under such conditions?
It was magical. Otherwise it would've been dissolved by the rust demon we fought in the first room.
>>
>>51040306
>>51040333
Make it explicit he has to exemplify the ideals of some mythical person who first wielded the item to unlock its full potential. Then the quest doesn't have to be a complete sidetrack that's boring for the other players, but it gives him a roleplaying challenge to meet in order to earn his rule-bending item.

Simple things like that don't need new fighting styles.
>>
>>51040291
If your main thing is being a beatstick, why be a cleric at all? Just be an ancients paladin.

>1 level of druid for background
Dude, backgrounds and classes are different things.
>>
>>51040369
>Plate is 18 AC (20 with Shield)
>Half-Plate with Medium Armor Master is 18 AC (20 with Shield)
>Studded Leather with 20 DEX is 17 AC (19 with Shield)
???
>>
>>51039940
Are you sure you aren't thinking of 3e? And even then, that only applies to Full Attacks. No one has been required to plant their feet to be effective since 4e fixed that issue and 5e kept the fix.

Now, a lot of DnD environments have no real reason for the player to move about, but that's the GM's encounter design rather than the system.

>>51039907
We need more info. What is it that you want to capture about of Doom? Currently we're guessing.
>>
>>51040333
>>51040345

Thanks, I was worried having a ranged paladin could become troublesome. But I guess 20ft attacks won't break anything.

>>51040393
Great idea, we're playing Storm King's Thunder, so I'll have him be able to do the smiting part after he's killed a giant.
>>
>>51039181
kek
>>
Hmm. I presented my players with an overwhelmingly powerful bbeg. I did it from the start, with defined rules for why he was powerful.

I was hoping my players would treat it more like a puzzle, and come up with something creative that they could use to beat it. Just in case, I wrote a macguffin into the plot that they could use to lower the power level of the bbeg in a way that made sense, and bring it down to their level.

I was pretty satisfied when they used the macguffin in a way that I didn't expect, but that made sense, and resolved the entire campaign without finishing the boss fight.

Hopefully I'm not as bad as center of the sun guy. The players seemed to have fun.
>>
>>51040438
5e discourages movement through two features: lack of hazard creation/manipulation built into the classes and monsters, and opportunity attacks being too good.
>>
>>51040410
A few reasons, mostly just that Cleric fits the character better than a Paladin. I've already made the character backstory and all that jazz, now I'm stuck trying to get a class/multiclass that fits them.
>>
>>51040483
How did they solve it? What would they have done otherwise?
>>
>>51040502
WHAT IS
>Evasive maneuvers
>Mobility feat
>SENTINEL feat
>Rogue bonus actions
>Misty fucking step
>DISENGAGE

Are you retarded?
>>
File: Magicka_2_Artwork_8.jpg (240KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Magicka_2_Artwork_8.jpg
240KB, 1920x1080px
stat me
>>
>>51040603
You forgot
>Shocking Grasp
>Arms of Hadar
>>
>>51040620
Human Wizard, with the bespoke disadvantage of only having one hand. Good with a sword, so maybe multiclass or Bladesinger.
>>
>>51039847
wrong
>>
>>51039278
>what's your character's favorite fruit
>not imposing punishment as DM to players who don't play along
I bet you just let your PCs murder the king of an influential kingdom without even having swarms of guards coming after them to kill them.
>>
>>51040586
Bbeg was a guy who united all possible versions of himself across the multiverse in a telepathic evil hive mind. He wielded incredible destructive power, as any time he was threatened, he could just have his other bodies open gates to the elemental plane of fire and his current location, vaporizing everything.

So I made as a safety valve a crystal prism that could trap souls in it. Whatever happened to the souls inside it happened to all other versions of that soul outside it. The players could trap one of the bbegs bodies in it, go in, have a traditional boss fight.

Instead, they explicitly found the dumbest version of the bbeg across the universe, trapped him, went in, convinced him to let them kill him, in exchange for resurrecting just him later, outside of the prism. That let him be free of all those other dicks that were him, and live a more peaceful life.

I figured if the players didn't find the macguffin, they would have united every version of themselves across the multiverse against him, and started a multiversal war for the final boss fight.
>>
>>51040438
The is more of a "this could be fun" thought I had one day instead of something fleshed out. I'd imagine trying to capture the sense of weaving through waves of enemies while mowing them down with weapons. As some anons mentioned the mentality of survival is used a lot so I'd figure about making the environment hazardous so the players would also having to worry about not being killed by their surrounds and/or try to piece together a way to stop things from going to hell in a hand basket. It wouldn't be a grand epic campaign, maybe more of a medium sized one
>>
File: oh fuck not again.gif (2MB, 380x340px) Image search: [Google]
oh fuck not again.gif
2MB, 380x340px
Question: How much would you charge a player to upgrade his gun from 1d12 piercing to 2d12 and double the range?
Also, how much to enchant it to +2?
Separately, how much much would it cost to put a +1d6 elemental damage to the weapon?
>>
>>51040603
Evasive footwork is a waste of damage, as most of the options you listed are. In fact, every option cuts into your damage really.

>>51040643
Same.
>>
How would you rule combining mundane items?

Poisoned caltrops?
Oiled ball bearings?
Bag of mixed ball bearings and caltrops?
Flask filled with equal parts oil, caltrops and ball bearings?
Using a sling to throw alchemist's fire?
Strapping flint and tinder to the jaws of a hunting trap in a pool of oil?
Poisoning a hunting trap?

I'm playing a thief and I wanna be the kid from home alone
>>
>>51040801
>1d12 to 2d12 and double range
at least 100k gold
>>
>>51040811
Then maybe you could start thinking of other ways of settiling matters rather than hurting your PCs or attacking, I'm sure they'll catch on, eventually.
>>
>>51040861
>Then maybe you could start thinking of other ways of settiling matters rather than hurting your PCs or attacking, I'm sure they'll catch on, eventually.

I have. I've stopped running traditional combat almost entirely.
>>
>>51040841
I understand that the cost would be exponentially increased as damage increases, but still
>>
>>51039741
>Sunless Citadel
My nostalgia boner!
>>
>>51040801
>1d12 to 2d12 and double range
The original price of the gun plus ~1k gp for basically turning it into a brand new one, plus he would have to get better ammo (5-10g a pop) and it would reduce magazine capacity significantly if it has any
>Enchant it to +2
DMG says about 5k gp for a rare magic item so about that much for enchanting it
>+1d6 elemental damage
DMG says about 50k gp for a very rare magic item like frost brand, so about that much

All in all I would round it up to an even 60,000 gold, plus a quest to find a legendary gunsmith, followed by a trial of worth by said gunsmith
>>
>>51040801
Renaissance or Modern setting I take it? If you're using the Mercer Gunslinger, increase the misfire by 2. If not, I wouldn't let someone increase the damage die since there's not really a drawback in the system that can compensate for something that drastic. Maybe introduce "It breaks on a 1 and has to be repaired over the course of a short rest with access to materials and tools." Enchanting to +2 would IMO cost about 6000 GP, and +1d6 Elemental damage should be 4000 GP.

Also, the way I DM, I don't let people stack enchantments since the way I imagine magic is the "Weave" style where making an enchantment is like tying a knot in the magical fabric around an item, and you would have to undo the knot to go from +1 to +2 for example, or add 1d6 fire damage, meaning the price for any new enchantment isn't discounted by previous ones since you have to redo the whole thing.
>>
>>51039151
>5e gives you the perfect balance of crunch without the numbers or the system getting in the way of playing a game

You seemed a little confused, so I thought I'd just help you out a little!
>>
>>51040929
>>51040930
These are extremely helpful, cheers!
>>
>>51040929
Deadly encounter should suffice for the trial
>>
File: 5i7LY8T.jpg (25KB, 314x246px) Image search: [Google]
5i7LY8T.jpg
25KB, 314x246px
>>51040812
>Strapping flint and tinder to the jaws of a hunting trap in a pool of oil?
Fuck dude.
>>
Hey /5eg/ I'm retarded and can't math.

Which is better?

>Bumping CON to 20
or
>Taking the Tough feat
>>
>>51040426
Still a waste of a feat. You could either wear heavy armor (Stealth is useless because it requires splitting the party) or wear light armor that's almost as good and a lot more common than medium armor, meaning you're likely to find more magical suits of light armor than medium armor. Or just wear medium armor and don't take the feat. Either way you avoid wasting a feat.
>>
>>51039683
>>51039757
>>51040331
Can only do that if your main hand is a shortsword, not with a rapier
>>
>>51041000
It's not really a problem you can solve with math. Tough gives you twice as many extra hit points as a Con increase, but it doesn't improve your Con saves and Con checks. So which is better depends on how often you predict you'll have to make Con saves and Con checks. And of course you could always do both if you really wanted. Either way, you're probably better off improving your main stat first and then improving Con or taking Tough later if you run out of things to do with your ASIs.
>>
I want to get into 5e coming from the cancer that is 3e and pf. Do tiers matter still? Are casters still king? Can I finally play a thief and not worry about holding the group down?
>>
>>51039157
I once played a character who was all about fruit. Gave fruit baskets as gifts, always chowing down on fruit, never missed an opportunity to pick, buy, or try the local botanical delicacy, went for fruit salad recipes first thing if he was stuck in a wizard's library, and so on.

When confronted by a godlike being from the Far Realm who would answer any question for the price of a little life force, he asked, "What is the most delicious fruit?" and spent the rest of his days tracking down that elusive crop.

It's good for a character to have hobbies.
>>
File: macaulaycaulkin.png (784KB, 1666x868px) Image search: [Google]
macaulaycaulkin.png
784KB, 1666x868px
>>51040968
What, you think I'm fucking around?
>>
>>51041044
blaster casters are out, martials are good now, thief is utter garbage but as long as you don't mind being a skill monkey you'll be ok
>>
>>51041063
>thief is utter garbage

Well that is disappoint. I take it assassins are the same way? At least martials are good.
>>
>>51041044
Casters are still King in 5e.
>>
>>51041044
>tiers
Everything is between low tier 2 and high tier 4 as viewed in the 3.5 sense.

Casters are king but the margin is smaller. You're not a fool for playing a fighter or monk, for example.

Thief is great if you play an archery ranger. Thief has improved mobility options to make Cunning Action > Hide for advantage a viable way to land a Sneak Attack every turn.
>>
>>51041063
Everything you just said except the thing about martials is bullshit.
>>
>>51041082
Read
>>51041088

People seem to forget ranged Sneak Attacks are a thing and are tactically superior to melee Sneak Attacks.

Assassin is a one trick pony but good at that one trick. Thief and Arcane Trickster have more versatility.
>>
>>51040812
>Poisoned caltrops?
Depends on the Poison, see the DMG poison section. Basically, if someone takes piercing damage from a caltrop, they roll a con save for the poison in question
>Oiled ball bearings?
Replicate grease with a 14 DC, but it's a 5 foot square. If you want to throw it, make an improvised attack roll.
>Bag of mixed ball bearings and caltrops?
They roll at random for either the first or second effect, and take 1d4 piercing if they fall from the ball bearings, and if they take the caltrop damage first roll with disadvantage on the ball bearing effect
>Flask filled with equal parts oil, caltrops and ball bearings?
Like the oiled ball bearings, but the save is 16 and they take 1d6 piercing if they fall prone
>Using a sling to throw alchemist's fire?
Unless the vial is pebble sized (in which case the fire damage would be reduced to 1 point with the capability of still setting things on fire) roll your attack with disadvantage. If you miss, roll a d8 and it lands 1d4X5 feet in that direction.
Replicate alchemist's fire in the area if they fail the dex save
>Poisoning a hunting trap?
See poisoned caltrops
>>
>>51041044
The only trap options in the PHB are Ranger and Way of the 4 elements Monk. Oh and the Grappler feat. Wizards fixed Ranger in Unearthed Arcana. Everything else is playable and the casters won't rule the party because concentration keeps them in line.
>>
>>51040812
>Poisoned caltrops?
They work together for as long as the poison lasts while exposed to air, which in 5e often isn't very long
>Oiled ball bearings?
Mechanically no more slippery than regular ball bearings.
>Bag of mixed ball bearings and caltrops?
Only the caltrops would have any effect because they're taller than the ball bearings.
>Flask filled with equal parts oil, caltrops and ball bearings?
See above.
>Using a sling to throw alchemist's fire?
Eh, I'd let you throw it farther than normal and maybe deal 1d4 slashing damage when the glass breaks, but it'd still be an improvised weapon.
Only has a chance of starting a fire if the trap can close all the way, which isn't going to happen if it's closing around a creature's leg.
>Poisoning a hunting trap?
See poisoned caltrops above.
>>
>>51041088
>low tier 2 and high tier 4

Better than expected. A glimmer of hope appears.

>>51041111
>ranged Sneak Attacks

Yes please

Thank you anons!
>>
>>51039274
>ancient red dragons in 5e are boring, we need 4e rules to fix them
>ignores lair rules that cover everything he talks about in the first 5 minutes
>ignores 5e DMG rules that would allow a DM to easily graft a fire damage aura onto a dragon
>5e combat is boring because we ignore well over half the mechanics and tools available in 5e
>lets talk about 4e now that 5e is out and were allowed to like it

Or, as is more likely the case, the motherfucker didn't read them. OP's pic is so fucking related for this edition.
>>
>>51041105
>implying that climbing speed is enough to justify not going assassin
>>
Are the erratas worth reading for the core books?
>>
>>51041188
Yes. Newer printings of the core books are amended to include the errata.
>>
>>51041120
>>51041123
This all more or less works for me, I just wanna be the most annoying thing in the game
>>
>>51041188
Yes

If you get your pdfs from the Mega, they have the errata included as comments in the doc
>>
>>51041221
>>51041208

Oh good.
>>
>>51041185
No, but using bonus action to throw flasks/pick pockets/pull down pants/pocket sand/eat a slice of delicious cake/heal a friend/pick your nose/set a bear trap is pretty nifty
>>
Here's a story from my group's first session ever, me as DM, all of us new. This was many months ago.

>pit trap
>20' deep
>party all fail dex saves to fall in
>the walls are slick, DC 15 check to get out
>I had read an article about failed checks having consequences, so a failed climbing check counted as falling off the wall
>party loses almost half their total HP from falling repeatedly over and over
>one character actually got downed
>eventually someone got frustrated/bored enough to stop paying attention and realized they had rope on the character sheet
>count using the rope as giving advantage but still require check
>they just keep falling back in
>eventually everyone's out of the hole but almost dead
>party has deathly fear of holes forever, refuses to scale walls or trees, always pack extra rope

I did eventually learn the correct way to run pits and climbing
>>
>>51041151
He has already talked about how he doesn't read anything (see his volo's guide review). He doesn't look past the picture and glance at the statblock.
>>
>>51041308
You did well young one, they must learn fear
>>
>>51039181
The only correct answer.
>>
>>51041151
Yeahhh his approach is drawn out and clearly biased towards what seems to be him preferring 4e.

I mean, I wouldn't disagree that it's not a bad idea to throw in stuff from 4e if it seems neat, but that seems a very case-by-case scenario.
>>
>>51041343
It's really funny how much they did.

They've fallen in numerous holes since then, and after that session I looked up how other people do it and no pit has ever been remotely that punishing. But they still act as if every one might be like that first one.
>>
>>51039809
Did this take place in the underdark, by chance?
>>
>>51041308
Personally, my approach to skill checks can be summed up like this:

Are you in combat? If yes, roll. If not, see below.

Is it time sensitive? If yes, roll. If not, see below.

Are they proficient? If not, roll. If yes, see below.

Is it possible? If not, they fail. If yes, they succeed automatically, and the DM decides how long it takes.
>>
>>51039838
I didn't do this before my current campaign and I regret it immensely. The players turned my psychological supernatural mystery campaign into a murder crusade for their snake cult.
On well. Could be worse, I guess.
>>
>>51041383
Wait for them to get complacent, then start improvising. Add pits that have:
>poison spikes
>venomous snakes
>lamp oil a foot deep (bonus points if triggering the pit ignites the oil)
>zombies at the bottom
>lids that automatically close
>lids that automatically close and lock
>water deep enough to drown in (good luck with that plate, buddy)
>>
>>51041421
I do the same thing but each time you drop a level I mentally lower the DC. So if they are searching for something and they take 20 or 30 minutes and it is mildly hidden a roll isn't required.Granted I may still call some from time to time just to throw them off if something IS actually hidden. Or the bad guy DID lie to them. etc.
>>
>>51039741
Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury are legitimately good modules.
White Plume Mountain is a better Tomb of Horrors. I don't know why you'd even include the latter when WPM is available except to satisfy retarded grogs who aren't going to play either.
>>
>>51039757
as part of an Attack*
You can't draw your dagger in the first round if that's also when you drew the other weapon, unless you have the dual-wielding feat.

Yes, it's stupid.
>>
What do you guys think of this?
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tales-yawning-portal

Looking forward to Tomb of Horrors once more!
>>
>>51041478
>Or the bad guy DID lie to them
oh yeah, I don't do that for social rolls. and I roll insight/deception stuff behind the screen
>>
>>51035897
That's ignoring the point entirely.

It's going from a more understandable conflict of heroes against plotting leaders, ancient tyrant monsters or even just malignant forces of nature gone awry to..

It's honestly much more autistic to start fighting gods or aspects of god at that point, especially considering 5e has a class that takes its power from a god itself. The very description of cleric/warlock and all that break down once you start to fight the ones giving you your power or people on that level.

The real point here that ascending to finally end with beating up the gods themselves is some anime-tier shit. I'd rather have level 20s be legendary heroes, not demigods, and by 5e standards you probably can't get much beyond semi-demi-god. without items.
>>
File: 1375039974488.gif (1MB, 178x177px) Image search: [Google]
1375039974488.gif
1MB, 178x177px
>>51039148
Has anyone ever tried playing a Warlock with the Arcane Gunslinger invocation from UA? How'd it go?
>>
>>51041602
I played an EK with a longarm. Shit was cash.
>>
>>51041368
I love the idea of copy/paste mechanics from other systems. Hell, as D/GM I'm perfectly fine with the group totally bullshitting stuff as long as everyone is on board.

My only problem is this idea that "X is bad! Let's use Y to fix it!" when the only reason that person feels that way is because they haven't bothered to read the fucking rule books.

As a 5e DM, the most common complaints I hear from players is how "shallow" or "boring" the edition is because it's missing X or Y mechanic/feature, only for me to reference a page number in a core rule book that covers the exact thing they were complaining about not being there either specifically or by a provided work around.

I don't remember it being this bad in 4e or 3.X, or with any other game I've GM'd, but I'm sure that's just because I didn't play with as many different people back then.
>>
>>51041602
6d8+3d6+(3×DEX)+(2×CHA)+30 damage a turn on a hexed target? Don't mind if I do
>>
>>51040812
>Oiled ball bearings?
Our group was fighting two remorhazes and the Warlock Banished one, and we killed the other pretty quick. We had some time to spare in formualting how to deal with #2, so I threw some caltrops and ball bearings and an oil flask onto its space and told the DM to figure out exactly what the fuck that does or how a creature that stands on 50 spindlestick legs could possibly slip on ball bearings.

No point because then we dropped a boulder on it from 50 feet up the moment it reappeared.
>>
>>51041586
FUCKING HYPED
>>
>>51041641
Where are you getting all that from?
>>
>>51041683
>how a creature that stands on 50 spindlestick legs could possibly slip on ball bearings

By rolling very poorly
>>
>>51041701
Working backwards
3 dex based hits at 2d8 damage.
Add dex mod 3 times
Add hex damage (1d6) 3 times.
2xCHA? No idea.
+30? No idea
>>
File: lelf 5e.png (1MB, 1096x731px) Image search: [Google]
lelf 5e.png
1MB, 1096x731px
>all these Greyhawk adventures in a Forgotten Realms book
Greyhawk has never been deader.
>>
File: american attacking a t-rex.gif (1015KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
american attacking a t-rex.gif
1015KB, 475x475px
Does confusion really not count as "disabling movement"? I had Free Action and I thought I could run past some Umber Hulks but I just got pummeled.
>>
>>51041701
Pact revolver plus regular revolver, dual wielder and marksman feats, two-weapon fighting style from 1 level of fighter

First two shots
2d8+dex mod+cha mod+10+1d6(hex)

Off-hand shot
2d8+dex mod+10+1d6

You could skip the fighter level, would only lose out on 1 dex mod worth of damage
>>
>>51041729
2×cha from pact weapon invocation that adds cha mod to damage

30 from sharpshooter feat
>>
>>51040180
DOOM isn't about being trapped and helpless. You are really not trying to escape. You're a madman ripping and tearing your way straight to the center of hell. IRL equivalent is someone driving straight into a tornado.
>>
>>51039157
whatever he can get his hands on
>>
>>51041729
>2xCHA? No idea.
Thristing blade
>+30? No idea
sharpshooter I think
>>
Alright 5eg, what's your favorite feat? What's your least favorite? If you had to give every character the same feat at level one, what would it be?
>>
>>51041811
Tough
>>
>>51041811
T A V E R N
B R A W L E R
>>
>>51041811
>If you had to give every character the same feat at level one, what would it be?

Durable, Resilient, or Tough
>>
First time playing D&D here.

Just made a Battle Master Fighter with a greatsword. What am I in for?
>>
>>51041829
>>51041833
Favorite? Or the one you'd give everyone?
>>
>>51041765
>first two shots
Where is the Warlock getting a second attack action from?
>>
>>51041865
Fun.
>>
>>51041763
https://crobi.github.io/dnd5e-quickref/preview/quickref.html
>>
>>51041869
Give to everyone

My favorites are actually keen mind for wizard and tavern brawler for fighter/barbarian
>>
>>51041701
No life drinker?
>>
>>51041869
Yes.

>>51041865
The most useful you'll get as a martial, which isn't saying much, but it's something. Carry a big backpack.
>>
>>51041865
fun or not fun depending on your DM
>>
>>51041811
Skilled.
>>
>>51041875
There is an invocation that gives extra attack with the pact weapon

Hence 2 attacks with the summoned revolver and 1 attack with the ordinary offhand one
>>
>>51041765
>>51041875
Also, what "Marksman" feat? Do you mean Sharpshooter?
>>
>>51041763
Well, confusion affects the mind, doesn't it? It's not physically restraining you or anything.

>>51041811
I like PAM. It makes polearms more viable, working on barbarians/fighters/paladins. Works for quarterstaff+shield or a reach polearm, each with different benefits to it. And all those fucking attacks.

Fuck lucky except if you hate the DM

Give everybody elemental adept. It has a very minimal affect that only slightly skews people towards elemental classes and encourages some sort of 'elemental attunement', I suppose. Either that or skulker.

>>51041865
Well, you haven't fucked up yet, congratulations. Grab Great Weapon Master feat sometime.
>>
>>51041904
>Rogues aren't useful
>>
>>51041917
Yeah that
>>
>>51041927
Just let it go anon, casterfags are set in their ways and don't know the joys of being a martial
>>
>>51041811
>favorite
War Caster
>same feat I'd give to everyone at level 1
Magic Initiate
>>
>>51041927
Anything a Rogue can do out of combat, everyone else can do, and I'll take a Battlemaster fearing, disarming, and knocking enemies everywhere over a Thief Rogue doing anything that isn't throwing a bead of Fireball twice in the same round because throwing two at once is weaker (although let's be serious you're playing an Assassin, not Thief)
>>
>>51041983
>I only think in terms of combat on a featureless, flat grid
>>
>>51041983
I've never actually played assassin.
Played thief, swashbuckler and
mastermind
>>
>>51041883
>>51041904
>>51041905
>>51041918
Also which 3 maneuvers should I get at level three? I'm thinking Disarming Attack and Precision Attack, but not sure about the third one.
>>
>>51042034
Menacing every time always
Trip if your party is melee-heavy
Precision if GWM/Sharpshooter
Disarming if you're fighting shit with weapons
Pushing if you're clever or dealing with mounted opponents
Riposte for DPS, Parry for tanking
Commander's if you have a Rogue (or Paladin)

There is no point to anything else.
>>
>>51041983
You can't use Fast Hands to activate a magic item because it explicitly doesn't use the Use an Object action.
>>
>>51042003
>going back to combat
If you have a DM that is going to let you use the environment to kill enemies and inflict conditions or do equivalent / more damage than just hitting an enemy with your sword, you don't need Fast Hands or any other Rogue feature to capitalize on this. There are arguably more features that Battlemasters or Bearbarians could utilize that a Rogue can't approach, and Monks can be faster and more nimble anyway.

Rogue exists for skillmonkeying but that still doesn't give them any capability that other classes can't have. "A slightly less chance of failing a check" isn't something to write home about when you're comparing it to "the ability to shoot fireballs, turn invisible, mind control people, polymorph into a bird, and teleport whole groups".
>>
new book seems like a waste. aren't 3e and older adventures pretty easy to convert anyway?
>>
>>51042102
You're not really helping Rogues-are-the-best Anon out here.
>>
>>51042034
Disarm varies from DM to DM.
>Use it
>say I want to pick it up/kick it away
>Can't because its in enemy square
>He picks it up next turn
>>
>>51042034
Precision or feinting attack may be a good idea if you get the GWM feat and stick with greatswords.

Riposte gives you an entire extra attack, which is good if your attacks deal a lot of damage.
Trip or disarming attack are good for control. Pooossibly meanacing attack, but disarming allows you to kick their weapon away or secure it so they can't pick it up again. Not everything has a weapon, though. Trip works well if you then grapple them afterwards, so get athletics proficiency for that. Goading attack could be another control-ish ability of you want that. Pushing attack is probably better on a ranged weapon but you might find use for it if you need to move an enemy into an environmental hazard or something. Not bad to keep on the side.

Commander's strike is something you may want to consider getting if you have a rogue, as it allows them to sneak attack outside of their turn. Don't bother otherwise, probably.

I'd take one of the control abilities, commander's strike if there's a rogue, either precision/feinting attack if you have GWM and then if you still have space whatever else.
>>
>>51042156
That's idiotic, by that logic you couldn't attack the enemy in the first place
>>
>>51042156
Your DM is a shit. Squares are five fucking feet wide. How would anyone ever interact with anything an enemy is near or vice-versa without killing fuckers first?

I mean, you're allowed to traverse a portion of an enemy's square by cutting across their corner (you can go from 2 to 6 if the enemy is in 5 using just one tile of movement) in a way you can't with a wall corner so obviously there's some latitude allowed here. And yeah what the fuck >>51042190
>>
>>51042156
>lol you can't take or interact anything from within the enemy's space because I dunno lol he has a forcefield XDDDDD
>DMs actually believe this
>>
>>51042156
What a fucking moron
>well then I guess I can't attack him at all, since I can't invade his personal space
>that would be rude
>>
>>51042225
Well, by that reasoning, you should also be able to fetch items out of the enemy's backpack in the middle of combat because that's also no more than 5 feet away from you. Clearly a line has to be drawn somewhere.
>>
>>51042356
Which would probably be drawn somewhere between those two options.
>>
>compilation of old adventures
>no Madness at Gardmore Abbey

I understand avoiding 4e, but come on, don't pass up the best thing to come out of it
>>
File: sam.jpg (41KB, 406x348px) Image search: [Google]
sam.jpg
41KB, 406x348px
>>51039181
MOTHER
FUCKING
GOODBERRIES
>>
>>51042356
>you should also be able to fetch items out of the enemy's backpack
If you're hidden from the enemy and make a successful sleight of hand check (with a relatively high DC, probably) I don't see any reason why you couldn't try.
>>
>>51042356
That's something the enemy is holding onto. It's quite clear there's a difference between an item in a creature's possession and one that isn't - if it isn't in possession, spells such as fireball automatically set it alight if possible.
You can't just take a weapon, you have to use some sort of disarming action.

Once they've been disarmed, there's no real reason you can't take the weapon as freely as your own weapon from the floor below you. The only thing the DM might say is that you might get attacked by the monster for trying to pick it up, or there might be a contested strength check or something as he keeps you away.
>>
>>51042391
>(with a relatively high DC, probably)
Should just be the target's passive Perception.
>>
>>51042356
You mean by that logic you can make a sleight of hand check to pickpocket an enemy in combat? Because it sounds to me like that's perfectly reasonable
>>
How do you handle traps? I cant figure out a way to implement them without it being:
a) making them all below the player's passive perception score
b) my players check for traps every time something new comes along
>>
About to start a new campaign, and I've been thinking of running a more heavily social Archfey Half Elf, but after looking around more seriously, it really is starting to feel like Warlock is the new Ranger

Should I get the fuck out that class while there's still time, or should I plunge in and do it

I know it's all about the role play, but I don't role play a fae mule frustrated about life because he's so god damned useless and relatively emasuclated at every thing
>>
>>51042421
I still think it would be a little more challenging to fish something out of a moving and fighting persons backpack then to just do it quietly enough to where he doesn't notice.
>>
>>51042464
If you think that, that's what disadvantage is for.
>>
>>51042391
>>51042421
>>51042480
Versus the athletics or acrobatics check of the target, imo
>>
>>51042428
Just put the traps in the dungeon and:

>the PCs have the time to leisurely check the place out
Use passive perception unless they ask

>the PCs are pressed for time and/or in combat
Only revealed through checks
>>
>>51042495
That should only come into play if the target can see the PC trying to steal. Sleight of Hand usually involves deceiving the senses, which is why I'd go with passive Perception.
>>
>>51042416
There's no contested check, reaction, or anything else for:

Running in a circle around an enemy
Stopping to fuck with your own backpack
Drinking a potion
Changing your equipment
Attacking someone/thing that isn't that particular adjacent enemy
Casting a spell
Picking up anything normally
Interacting with anything normally

Kicking the sword away from an enemy you just disarmed is entirely your right and there ain't a goddamn thing the enemy should be able to do except not fail their check to stop the disarming in the first place next time.
>>
... disarm then pickup can't be done because bending over and picking up a weapon that fell around someone trying to kill you, safely, is a complex action. The free object interaction wouldn't suffice, and you just used your action to disarm.

I would allow you to kick it away however.
>>
>>51042539
A thief could do it with Fast Hands though.
>>
>>51042439
Warlock is pretty mid-tier.
It's simply not one of the great classes. Nothing wrong with that.

Their main selling point is their agonizing repelling eldritch blasts, which are great on a team full of ranged people.
Also invisible familiars or charisma shillelagh + guidance + cantrip is great if you can use it right.

A GOO warlock with pact of the chain and some invocations such as Mask of Many Faces has great social utility. Undeniably better than the other casters, though a wizard can somewhat compare since they can still cast social spells such as friends, disguise self, charm person, etc. The wizard has more versatility.

Go for it, faggot.
>>
>>51040077
>>it increases by 10 every 10 feet
>>magnetic field of the sun whips

If it's that hot, then it looses all properties of magnetism
>>
>>51042526
How far away would it be kicked into?
>>
Has anyone ever tried running a "slice of life" styled campaign, where PC's end up doing a lot more uneventful everyday life kinds of things within a fantasy world?
How did it go?
>>
>>51042559
Sure. Or a fighter with action surge. A person with haste cast on them.
>>
>>51042526
But you're interacting with something the enemy may be standing right above from. There's no contested check for all the things you mentioned because you're not directly interfering with the monster.

Casting a spell is a contested check in a way - you use a passive score (spell save DC or their AC) and either you or them rolls.

If you were playing a ball game, disarmed the opponent and the ball was at their foot and you tried to kick it past them, they still deserve a chance to stop it getting away.

They can't stop you running circles around them because you're keeping their distance from them, not bending down at their feet to pick something up. Kicking it sounds a bit more reasonable, but that's more like an attack into their space.
>>
>>51042599
It happens in my campaign, but it's not the majority of the time. I don't have the setting fleshed out enough for that.
>>
>>51042604
I already interacted with the monster and we had checks when I FUCKING DISARMED HIM.
Where it lands in his square and what I do with it after that is up to ME, not his dumb ass. He shouldn't have failed his check.
>>
Give me a name for a group of elven assassins. I need one for my background.
>>
>>51042596
At least ten feet.
>>
>>51042632
Charlie's Angels.
>>
Are all poisons like the basic poison from PHB? Injury ones that is. It stays coated to the blade for a full minute and isn't used up upon a single attack, for I'm looking them over and the poison section in general and it says nothing about it. Only that basic poison retains potency for more than one strike.
>>
>>51042539
>bending over and picking up a weapon that fell around someone trying to kill you, safely, is a complex action
No? He's unarmed.
What's he going to do, punch me for 1+STR damage? When it's not even his turn? When I'm not performing an action that provokes an opportunity attack?
>>
>>51042632
The Shrouds
>>
>>51042604
Not him but even if I think your argument makes sense I would still prefer to let the player kick the sword away. I think it's way more interesting than making an invisible wall around every enemy.
>>
Anyone ever tried running a hexcrawl campaign?
What is an easy mistake to make?
>>
>>51042632
the Red Leaves
>>
>>51039157
Mangoes
>>
>HA HA ANON THIS ISN'T A CASTER SUPREMACY EDITION ANYMORE
>MARTIALS ARE SUPER FUN, YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO PLAY THEM
>but you can't kick an object out of an enemy's square
>>
>>51042631
In that case, you should well be able to take the weapon into your own hands as part of the disarming attack. But you can't.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/12/09/disarming-attack-options/
Even the guy who made the rules doesn't have a definite answer. While he said that he himself would allow the player to pick it up if he had a hand free, he also said 'the DM might decide it's out of reach', which means that it's possible the weapon may not end up somewhere convenient and might have another roll to obtain/kick it.

>>51042687
There's not any invisible wall. All I'm saying is there may be a skill check or contested check because the weapon, while not in the monster's possession, is essentially 'guarded' by them.
>>
>>51042632

Leaf's Edge
Lone Tree
Dusksingers
Natures Finality
Final Rest
Immortal Blades
Knife Ears
>>
>>51042632
>>51042702
>>
>>51039461

That's really fucking overpowered. Your gm obviously doesn't care for game balance.
>>
>>51042581
The Sun is pretty hot and has a pretty strong magnetic though.
>>
>>51042715
>>51042632

Oo Blood Leaves
>>
>>51042428
Switch up your traps. I like to think of 3 different kinds of dungeon traps:

A) Surprise! You're fucked.
The classic pit trap, swinging blade trap, exploding asshole of death trap, etc. Fun, but use sparingly or your players will quickly learn to spot check every fucking square inch of the dungeon.

B) Puzzle traps.
Much more entertaining, and my group loves them. "You hear a click, the grinding of stone, and suddenly a dozen streams of sand begin pouring from the roof. How do you escape the room?" They don't have to be lethal either. And they're almost the most fun when the party takes no damage at all but only narrowly escapes.

C) Hazards.
Obvious dangers with little opportunity to evade them completely. Like a red-hot doorknob or a hallway that rains acid. The fun here is how the party tries to creatively mitigate the damage (I break off the doorknob, stick my sword in the mechanism, and twist that instead; I use my shield as an umbrella)
>>
>>51042713
>you disarm the enemy but can't pick up his weapon because it's on the far side of his square from you
>walk around him, again not provoking any opportunity attacks
>pick it up, kick it away, whatever
>>
Realistically, what are the practical uses of a herbalism kit? I don't really know if my DM is into crafting shit or not
>>
>>51042692
Running one right now. Don't overdo it with the wandering monsters, but leave them in there.
>>
>>51042713
>while not in the monster's possession, is essentially 'guarded' by them
Not really tho. the facts are:

>you have a free 'interact with object' action
>the enemy isn't holding the weapon
>there's no rule about not being able to interact with objects inside an enemy's square

What am I missing here?
>>
Is there a place where one can find all the spells in 5e and filter out schools and sort by class?
>>
>>51042632
>high elves
The shrikes

>wood elves
The serpent's coil

>drow
Crips
>>
>>51042816
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/spells.html
>>
You know for a fact that if these disarmfags started facing enemies who used exactly the same rules they're arguing for and stole their precious +1 rapier or kicked it into lava, they'd be farting a different tune really quickly.
>>
>>51042715
>the last one
kek
>>
>>51042799
>What am I missing here?
A "we can't let martials have fun" mentality.
Notice how no one has said that a creature should be able to stamp on his own fallen sword to prevent it from flying off due to a Thunderwave spell.
>>
>>51042596

half your strength stat
>>
>>51042831
>he thinks a disarmfag fighting enemies near lava wouldn't have already punted them inside
Nice try, casterfuckboi. You'll need DCs 20 points higher to trick me.
>>
>>51042780
I usually let players use it to refill healer's kits or craft ordinary potions of healing (if they can find or buy the right ingredients.)
>>
File: skaven sniper.jpg (654KB, 876x1024px) Image search: [Google]
skaven sniper.jpg
654KB, 876x1024px
Anybody ever run an encounter with a sniper? thinking about doing one but I've never done something like that before. would appreciate any tips.
>>
>>51042821
cheers
>>
Normal magnets lose their magnetism at high temperatures because the ordered arrangement of molecules breaks down. That's not the case for the iron core of the earth or the fields of the sun, where the magnetism is from electrical currents. In any case, I'd assume you were using lead bullets, which are not particularly subject to the influence of magnetism. You do have other problems, and your bullets (and your gun) will be turned to vapor in basically no time at all, if your game sun follows anything like the physics our sun.
>>
>>51042816
Nicest one imo is
https://googleben.github.io/Spellbook/
>>
>>51042853
>legs are stronger than arms
>Strength really isn't factored into the distances for throwing weapons
>for most of a game's lifespan, Strength will be <20
>characters would only be kicking swords 5-9 feet
>not even two tiles
>sword is always in reach of the enemy on his turn, defeating the entire point of kicking it away to begin with
yeah
nah
>>
Going to be playing my first game soon and it looks like our group dynamics are a bit one-sided towards being ranged.

We have four players including myself being the lore bard. The others being a beastmaster, an arcane trickster and a warlock. How badly can we expect are shit to get pushed in?

Is there anything i can do to help keep enemies at bay and away from us?
>>
>>51042749
The area inside a 5ft square is vaguely defined. If the monster is guarding an item there, moving around them isn't going to change anything.

All that's being said is that if somebody's guarding something on the floor, you can't simply bend over and pick it up without consequence. Perhaps if you fail the check you'll not pick it up and become the one 'guarding' it instead, in which case your disarm wasn't wasted because the monster then can't pick it up without a slight problem itself.

It should really be depending on the situation, the monster and the item. That's part of the reason why there's no well defined rule for it.

Disarmed a giant club from a giant? No, you can't just kick that shit away. No, you can't just steal it and run off with it. You might be able to swipe at the giant as it tries to grab it back again, however.

Disarmed a polearm on a human? It might require some sort of check to get away if the floor isn't incredibly smooth. You'd otherwise have to put yourself in more danger to get rid of it.

Disarmed a dagger or shortsword from a human? I suppose you can probably just kick that away. It's light and you can easily punt it around.
>>51042799
You do not have reach into the enemy's square. Your arms aren't 5ft long. You have to either bend over or enter the monster's square.
While there are no rules for turning around, bending over and mooning your enemy mid-combat before returning to fighting position, your DM could well say you get slapped.
>>
Does anyone here play their elves as short and spindly, like Dragon Age elves? I find it more interesting than the average tall elf
>>
I'm looking to max out my Initiative as much as possible as a 5th level Cleric.

Best I can come up with is +9+1d4
(18DEX, Alert, Guidance before the battle but that's variable)
Can't even find anything else to boost it.

If we have a bard would it be a waste to ask them for an inspiration die to push that even further to +9+1d4+1d8?

Looks good to go first as Cleric to get that Bless out before we're hit by any bad spells (+d4 to saves)
>>
>>51042888
my fantasy sun is green
that should tell you right away i don't give a shit about real physics
>>
>>51042837
>hey casteranon, how about you thunderwave him closer to the lava and I prepare an action to use the momentum and shove him in
>sounds like a plan martialanon

Why can't we be friends
>>
>>51042632
Fashy Goys
>>
>>51042675
Turn order is an abstraction. The enemy isn't politely waiting for you to end your turn. He's doing everything he can at that moment to grab his weapon.
>>
>>51042912
The monster isn't guarding SHIT because the object is ON THE FUCKING GROUND after I just SLAPPED IT OUT OF HIS LIMP FUCKING WRISTS much to his surprise and consternation. He doesn't know what the fuck just happened, wasn't ready for squat, and was overpowered by me as indicated by his LOSING THE FUCKING CHECK TO KEEP HIS WEAPON.

I am kicking it away and you can use your action next turn to attempt a DC 18 CON check to not choke on my massive dick.
>>
>>51042923
Green is possible with a strange type of atmosphere that reflects green light
Nigger you just hide behind "not real physics" to hide that you're actually retarded
>>
>>51042905
The rogue will drop early and often. Accept it. The others may have equal or fewer hit points, but the rogue will be the one who always drops. Remain within Healing Word distance of the rogue and don't let him sneak off on his own or otherwise split the party.
>>
>>51042871
Give him an escape route, a clear field of fire, and a very big obstacle between him and the players. Bonus points for difficult terrain.
>>
>>51042958
If you've ever played the game called 'Real Life', you'd know that you know when you've lost something out of your hands and you'd know that you could easily move your legs in the way of someone trying to grab something at your feet or kick them in the face.
>>
>>51042935
>casteranon, save your spells for something meaningful, I'm going to Shove and Pushing Attack this enemy 20 feet into the air and dump his dumb ass into the lava flow
>wow martialanon, your keen tactical mind and excellent grasp of physics never fails to amaze, truly you are a wizard in the ways of war-making
>>
>>51042958
Martial players everyone.
>>
>>51042675
He doesn't have to do anything. He can keep you from doing shit in his space simply by virtue of occupying that space. Just like how you can't move through him without some special rule that says you can.

Of course, that's assuming that the weapon landed exactly in his space. It could have flown 5 or even 10 feet off to the side when it was knocked out of his hand. Ask your DM.
>>
>>51042799
>>51042539
>>
>>51042917
>Size. Elves range from under 5 to over 6 feet tall and have slender builds. Your size is Medium
>>tall
>>
>>51043035
You know what I meant you pedantic fuckface
>>
>>51042974
A) we're in the fucking star or space here so fuck your atmosphere
B) stars emit light at all visible wavelengths (and then some) based on their temperature and the temperature/color curves necessary for a green star also involve a lot of red and blue light
C) our eyes have green, red, and blue cones, in varying amounts and varying sensitivities; a green object needs to be emitting primarily green light which simply doesn't happen due to B
ergo my phantasy star says fuck you, i know my physics better, and the star is green because of some fucking magic that makes it emit only light in the green spectrum
>>
>>51043053
Did you expect anything other than pedantry in the 5eg?
>>
File: Yyouu Dense Motherfucker.png (302KB, 486x322px) Image search: [Google]
Yyouu Dense Motherfucker.png
302KB, 486x322px
>>51042979
>Be Druid
>The party Rogue and Monk are going to sneak off and try to steal generic quest item from some guy's house
>Just the two of you? Are you sure? I can come along as something stealthy
>No no we're fine this will be quick
>I can come just in case
>Nah it's fine we got this
>Okay
>Leave room to rummage for snacks, come back 30 minutes later
>So how'd it go?
>"The Monk walks into the room with the Rogue's unconscious body slung over his shoulders"
>it went bad plz halp
>mfw
>>
>>51042917
>my character is interesting! You won't believe how interesting and unique he is!
>ok, what makes him interesting?
>well, he's rather short. That's much more interesting than making him rather tall.
>>
>>51042987
Maybe I'll cede to your expertise in getting shit slapped out of your hands like a fucking nerd, because I haven't been on the receiving end of big-dicked jocks making me lose my pots and pans everywhere like you.

OR MAYBE YOU CAN SHUT UP AND GIVE ME YOUR LUNCH MONEY, BITCH BOY
>>
>>51043034
>>51042912
>there's no well defined rule for it.
That's the key factor here. I'm not saying your DM has no say in the matter, but as long as the rules are concerned, it's possible.
Please don't start with the "but in real life" arguments when talking about combat mechanics in a tabletop game.
>>
>>51043087
You're either over compensating for something or autistic
>>
>>51042987
>an enemy who hasn't used the Ready action can use his reaction to stop another enemy from interacting with an object
Well in that case I'm using my reaction to disarm every enemy that attempts to hit me first because they're interacting with a sword or something as they invade my square
>>
>>51042987
I'm a cripple so no.

Also
>real life
>d&d rules
choose one
>>
>>51043115
>picking up a bad guy's weapon
>he attempts to kick you
>his foot is an object
>you disarm his foot
>enemy is now legless, weaponless, and prone
>>
>>51039425
20 AC at level 1. 16 Dex, variant human fighter, defense fighting style, medium armor master, scale mail armor, and of course a shield.

Also to be fancy.
>>
Is a divination wizard with some blasting spells alright? I liked the more aggressive kind of wizard, but evocation seems lackluster.
>>
I'm the DM whose party has a fetish for hunting dogs, and I'm hoping some of you could take a look at the rules I've developed to keep this shit from running out of control.

First, you can use your action to command an animal to either Track, Attack, or Subdue a specific type of enemy with a DC 5 Handle animal check.

Second, the animal has to be trained in that action against that enemy. If it isn't, the DC is 20.
>>
>>51042905
Arcane tricksters tend more towards melee due to the fact they get access to Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade, though they may still choose to fight at range.

Warlocks are brilliant for ranged parties as they can blow enemies away.
Beastmasters have a pet that probably goes in melee.

You don't need anybody to fight on the front lines. Often, not having anybody on the front lines can completely deny an enemy an attack, as monsters are most deadly in melee range. It may become hard to do things such as grapple escaping enemies, however.

Warlocks are fucking brilliant with these parties as they can repelling blast the shit out of everything.

>>51043090
>>51043087
Well, quoting Jeremy Crawford again,
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/12/09/disarming-attack-options/
This is how it is.
You can take the weapon if it is within your reach.
However, Jeremy Crawford says the DM may say it's out of reach. This can't be because it's 'sent flying', because while the DM may decide that, the weapon is supposed to land at the enemy's feet. This means that if the weapon is in the enemy's space it may be deemed 'out of reach'. As such, the DM should ask for some sort of a check in order to enter the monster's space to interact with the weapon.

The official answer is literally 'depends on what the DM says'. That's the rules. Beyond there you just have to argue with your DM.
>>
>>51043203
I guess you're proving my point then? >>51043090
>>
>>51043203
>tfw I'm in my square, enemy is in his
>square are five feet
>creatures and objects can be anywhere in their squares
>I can punch him
>therefore I have a 10 foot reach
>literally no object in his square is out of my reach
>>
>>51043247
fucking this.

BTFO spellfarters
>>
>>51043073
Everyone thinks that they're the exception to the "never split the party" rule. They think it'll work great this time. The really dumb ones try to kill an enemy from stealth with absolutely no plan for what to do if the enemy fails to go down in one hit or if anyone else is watching or listening. These are the people who tend to use "stealth" as a verb.

I played with a sorcerer once whose solution to everything was Polymorph. He thought it would be a good idea to split the party by turning into a bat and scouting out the dungeon. He flew directly into some toxic smoke and found himself alone in the middle of the dungeon, where all the monsters jumped him and killed him. All for the sake of gathering information that we didn't even need in the first place.
>>
>>51043241
I was never saying it was not possible. I was just saying your DM has every right to demand that you make a check to interact with it.

>>51043247
There is an item on the floor 35ft away. You have 30ft movement.
You move 30ft. The item is still 5ft away on the floor.
You ask if you can pick that item up.
What's the answer?
The DM decides.
>>
File: Iwin.jpg (62KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Iwin.jpg
62KB, 1000x1000px
>>51043203
No Jeremy is wrong because it has to be written in the rules so I can show my DM how he's wrong so I can win at dungeons and dragons.
>>
>>51043185
Evocation is good, you just have to put some forethought into picking your spells, beyond "mathematically and statistically this cantrip does more damage than any other so I will never choose anything else"
>>
>>51043277
The answer is yes because you put your ale on the table and don't stand on the fucking table like a slob whenever you want to pick it up and take a drink
>>
>>51043247
Even better, if you're both at opposite corners of diagonal squares your reach is actually 14 feet, not merely 10.
>>
Martials are toxic, but only because they have festered in their own inferiority.
>>
>>51043190
The fact that ordinary hunting dogs are NPCs with minds of their own, an instinct for self-preservation, and a very small number of HP should be more than enough to keep them under control. Even summoned creatures have to be given spoken commands rather than being remote-controlled by their casters. They can and should do things the caster didn't intend while carrying out the letter of their orders. Only a beastmaster's animal companion has its actions completely determined by the player.
>>
>>51043300
That's different.

If it's on a table, it's level with your arms while you're standing.

The DM could well rule 'You can reach it, but you have to fall prone at the end of your movement.'

If an item was on a shelf at the edge of a room, you might have to move onto the same space as the shelf if the shelf was very narrow, and you might not be able to pick it up from prone.
>>
>>51043277
>I was just saying your DM has every right to demand that you make a check to interact with it
Fair enough.

>>51043287
>wanting to put an extra layer of possibilities in my abilities is trying to 'win'
If I wanted to win I would play a caster.
>>
>>51043185
Evocation wizards are the only casters of any kind who can cast fireballs in a dungeon without worrying about friendly fire. That's a really big deal. Dealing automatic damage with Acid Splash is also kind of nice.
>>
>>51042525
DC of passive perception +2 or 3. Disadvantage is equal to about +5 to DC and its not that difficult imo.
>>
>>51043334
>bending over now costs extra movement
>but kicking a small stone and drinking an entire flagon of ale both use the same amount of action-time
Are you sure you want to go down this road?
>>
>>51043367
This is why Spiritual Hammer isn't a bonus action spell and it takes two rounds to cast Greater Invisibility at my table. Those spells' names are too lengthy to finish compared to all those other spells with only 1-3 syllables that also take a full action.
>>
>>51043351
Well, to be honest, I was actually more saying 'you'd almost always be required to make a check to interact with it' initially but half-way through I kind of ended up saying 'If it's a massive fucking giant club, you might not be able to do quite as much with it. If it's a tricky thing like a polearm that might get caught on everything as you shunt it away, it might require a check. If it's just a dagger, you can do whatever the fuck.'

>>51043367
Bending over requires no movement. Falling prone requires no movement. Getting up from prone requires movement, but I imagine un-bending requires no movement.

I'm not even sure where this is going anymore. Are we saying it's now harder to pick up a weapon after we've disarmed it?
>>
>>51043396
It's fine, dude. We have different opinions but I still love you. Let's just have fun.
>>
>>51043425
You don't speak for me. I'm planting my flag on this hill and he's a faggot so long as he's against free, checkless disarm-kicks for everyone.
>>
>>51043425
There cannot be peace until everybody agrees on something.

Look at these faggots.
http://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/monk/
They said WOT4E is a 'fantastic option', while water whip isn't one of the 'fantastic options'. This is presumably before errata.

Fuck these guys.
>>
>>51043483
And he can't even kick your fucking flag.
>>
File: 1483547841296m.jpg (73KB, 1024x608px) Image search: [Google]
1483547841296m.jpg
73KB, 1024x608px
This disarm argument has really reignited my disire to run a game.
>>
Can you imagine if DMs and players got this strung out about rules and physics when it came to doing things with magic?
>well sure the object is flammable and it is unattended but clearly they mean things like paper scrolls and not clothing or wooden weapons which take more heat and sustained contact with flame than this fire spell provides
>these enemies have advantage on their saves to avoid slipping in your Grease pool because you're standing on sand which their feet and the grease sink into, providing an extra level of stability
>the enemy knight has resistance to your Lightning spell because his full plate acts something like a Faraday cage and effectively channels your electrical energy through itself and not his flesh
>these dwarves have advantage on their checks against your Gust of Wind due to their short stature and standing in profile, exposing less of themselves to the wind. also they're fat and heavy
>yes, you Commanded the ogre to "Drop", but he's swinging at you anyway because you weren't specific enough and he interpreted that as "Drop a sick beat", and beat boxing is a free action that doesn't preclude his using your head as a percussion track
>no, you can't use Protection from Energy to grant resistance to Cold, since that's technically an ABSENCE of thermal energy
>three of the four goblins are sent off to dreamland by your Sleep spell, but one of them wakes immediately upon bonking his head into the wood floor and a second is startled awake by the clang of his own dropped weapon
>Melf's Acid Arrow does nothing this round since it's still trying to eat through the thick leather armor of your target and hasn't been exposed to flesh yet
>unless you've been practicing with Enlarge Person in your downtime, there's no way you'd be able to move around at your full dexterity given the increase time your strides take or your new weight throwing your sense of balance off-kilter
>>
Aspiring DM here. I'm working on my world, and thought it would be neat to make a few "starting options" for my players, to try and stamp out the "met in a tavern" trope. Standard things like "are traveling in a caravan to x," or they're all part of the local army, or just plop them in a city and see what they do. One of my ideas is starting them on a pirate ship as crew members. My biggest issue is, how do I keep it from getting fairly stale? Fat cargo ships with holds of spice and silk only go so far, what cool cargo ideas can I do? There's going to be pirate fights aplenty, and skirmishes with the local navy, but what if they shy away from that? I mean, they would have picked starting as pirates, be we all know players are dumb sometimes.

Some small background, the ship will be crewed entirely by Tabaxi, with a few Lizardmen thrown in. They'll be preying on mostly human Empire ships.

Also, what's a good name for a Tabaxi pirate ship?
>>
>>51043696
Since it's magic it takes a bit of a larger leap of logic, but

>you're on sand so grease isn't as effective so they have advantage
Is exactly how it should be run.

Trying to model magical lightning as acting like normal lightning is a bad zone to get into though, as often you'd reach a point of saying 'well, why doesn't lightning just go straight into the ground then?' which probably is answered by 'it's magic!'

Also commanding an ogre to drop will make them do the twitchiest-decision drop they can think of, which may either make them drop what they're holding or make them purposefully lose their footing and fall in whichever direction they're currently moving. Which may be onto you.
>>
>>51039627
Can confirm. Both my groups use this more than we use paper. Check out the "custom builder" to add UA classes, races and archetypes.

Only drawback is that it's a couple of bucks to unlock stuff like the auto level-up, otherwise you have to roll it all manually.

>>51037379
Best rundown I've seen.

I also have living enemies fall unconscious at 0hp, and die-

>1. If they take enough damage to drop them to -10 immediately.
>2. If they take damage from a different attack or effect than the one that knocked them out.

Meaning enemies with healing abilities CAN wake up their allies, players can (if willing) show mercy by healing survivors (and potentially gain allies), and also to give them the tactical decision of "should i target the unconscious enemy for a guaranteed kill, or go for the active threats?"

Of course everything they fought so far took lethal criticals, so it hasn't come into play yet.
>>
>>51043696
People do get this strung out with magic.

Ask someone of you should be able to summon dynamite with minor conjuraton, an assuming it exists in your setting. Raw you can, and deal damage with it, but suggesting this is fine starts a shitstorm. Try to do anything creative with prestidigitation? Shitstorm.

The key is that people don't give two fucks about rules or physics. They care about balance. Which is retarded, because dnd isn't balanced by rules, but by your dm making good scenarios.
>>
>4 of the 7 adventures were originally set on Greyhawk
>The product description explicitly mentions "other worlds"

Could this be the prelude to an official Greyhawk setting book...?
>>
>>51043893
Why would they choose the second most boring setting?
>>
>>51043911
What's the most boring setting?
>>
>>51043893
no
>>
>>51043923
Dragonlance.
>>
>>51043923
Sword coast
>>
>>51043923
Forgotten Realms
>>
>>51043957
>>51043955
Quick, name 20 nations each in Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and Greyhawk.
>>
>>51043819
I once wanted to use Prestidigitation on the lungs of a drowning person we'd gotten onto the shore in order to 'clean them of any sea water in a 1ft cube'

Didn't allow it. What a shame.
>>
>>51043955
That's part of Forgotten Realms
>>
>>51043975

Uh... xD
>>
>>51041151

As if lair actions are even that good. You saw how useless they were in that Thordak fight even.
>>
>>51043975
I can't, that's why they're too forgettable. I guess that's why they were forgotten in the first place.
>>
>>51043957
Kill yourself
>>
File: map barrier peaks.jpg (4MB, 1500x2883px) Image search: [Google]
map barrier peaks.jpg
4MB, 1500x2883px
>>51043893
CoS didn't give us a Ravenloft setting book

I doubt easily transplanted location based dungeon romps will result in Greyhawk.

Barrier to Expedition Peaks when? Froghemeth and Vegepygmies were VGTM
>>
>>51043975
I can do Greyhawk
>Keoland, Aerdy, Geoff, Iuz, Urnst, Almor, Perrenland, The Pomarj, Ekbir, Blackmoor, Celene, Bissel, Furyondy, The Bandit Kingdoms, The Shield Lands, Tenh, Ket, Zeif, Veluna, Sterich
>>
>>51039741
I'm concerned if they can do all of those dungeons justice in a single book.

Why is Dead in Thay in there? Should've removed that and saved the space for more of the others.
>>
>>51043893
And the whole book takes place in Forgotten Realms.

So no. Greyhawk is dead.
>>
>>51044115
>the whole book takes place in Forgotten Realms
source?
>>
>>51039741
Didn't we already get Against the Giants in Storm King's Thunder?
>>
File: demgiggles.jpg (84KB, 508x504px) Image search: [Google]
demgiggles.jpg
84KB, 508x504px
>>51043696
>beat boxing is a free action that doesn't preclude his using your head as a percussion track

I'm stealing this and making an Ogre Bard monster
>>
woi
>>
NEW THREAD

>>51044180
>>51044180
>>51044180
>>
>>51044018
>You saw how useless they were in that Thordak fight even.
He never got to his lair though, Vax stabbed the fuck out of him before then because LOL Rogue dash + boots of haste + flying speed = Mach 2 half elf
>>
>>51041000

Go Con first; as the extra HP you get from Tough is also backdated, while a Con increase's HP wouldn't be.
>>
>>51044207
Constitution increases retroactively increase your HP. PHB pg. 177.
>>
>>51044207
Con has never worked like that. It's always "backdated" as you say.
>>
>>51040620
NOT A VAMPIRE, wizard/narrator multiclass.
>>
>>51041421
Systems like Dungeon World, Song of Swords and Burning Wheel all seemed to use the same phrase: "Only roll dice when something is at stake".

I guess that philosophy has stuck with me. I brought my current DM into a game with me and he seemed a little confused.

>"I'll roll perception to check for useful items"
>"No need. You look around and see there isn't any thing except an empty barrel"

The whole party seems a little confused, honestly.
>>
>>51042709
>
does your DM not allow any fun? I'd allow one of my players to kick a dropped item away, or even pick it up with maybe an acrobatics roll or something. Something like that keeps combat interesting, maybe the enemies even try to copy a successful technique!
>>
>>51043057
Green stars actually exist though.
>>
>>51043203
>Arcane tricksters tend more towards melee due to the fact they get access to Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade, though they may still choose to fight at range.

They should choose to fight at range. Melee is a trap for rogues.
>>
>>51043355
>Dealing automatic damage with Acid Splash is also kind of nice.

Frostbite dude
>>
>>51043362
The value of disadvantage is predicated on the number you have to roll on the d20 to succeed. It averages about +3. It's worth +5 if you needed an 11 to succeed.
>>
>>51044732
currently playing an Arcane Trickster with Booming Blade, naw dog, BB increases my damage quite a bit and i still never get hit because i get to auto-withdraw due to taking the mobility feat.

Move in, swing, move out. if they follow they take damage, if they stay put i just do it again next turn. usually someone else in the group is knocking people prone, if they stand, they moved and trigger booming blade (at least how dm rules it). We are also at a high enough level that booming blade deals damage on the initial hit as well.

Of course, I still HAVE a ranged weapon because you are an idiot if you don't have a ranged weapon of some sort, no matter what class you are.
>>
>>51045410
But does that mean that melee in general is a good idea for Rogues?

As I see it, there's only really one thing that Rogues get out of melee, and that's the option of using TWF to get a second attack and a second chance at sneak attack in a round. Other than that, being in melee doesn't really give them anything that they can't get via ranged attack.

Personally, I think melee is more fun and I'd play a melee Rogue as well, I just don't think there's a way to argue that it's optimal. (Calling it a trap is going too far, though.)
>>
>>51045744
for arcane tricksters Booming Blade sacrifices the additional attack of TWF for additional damage upfront and psuedo-control/extra damage

Is it optimal? well that depends on your definition, i suppose, TWF is only truly beneficial if you missed on your first attack. In my current group, i have a wizard who is running control, so advantage isn't hard to come by, thus the need for a second attack has been minimal. In addition to that, having mobility (the feat) reduces the damage i take in a round because i now have the option of Bonus Action Dash, move, attack, hit/miss, (pseudo)withdraw. I still have a ranged weapon because why not, and if melee is too dicey, i shoot them or cast catapult on something fun like an acid flask or inhaled poisons.

As a normal everyday rogue, yeah, melee isn't as great as ranged. But arcane tricksters have some extra fun to add.
>>
>>51042874
Spellviewer in the mega trove is useful too
>>
>>51043783
Sea lion
>>
>>51042416
Why disarm weapons when you can disarm armor?
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.