[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 409
Thread images: 27

File: 1475179498396.jpg (201KB, 875x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1475179498396.jpg
201KB, 875x1000px
>Latest News
No UA until January 9
Paladin UA http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Thread: >>51021101

How do you feel about upcoming (eventually) mystics? Personally, I know that psionics have been in DnD since forever, but I still don't like them. It doesn't feel like fantasy should feel to me.
>>
> Multiattack. The veteran makes two longsword attacks. If it has a shortsword drawn, it can also make a shortsword attack.
I'm dumb, please explain to me what this means.
>>
>>51030233
Two attacks due to prowess. Then maybe a bonus action dickstab if he pulled his extra blade
>>
Any good blade-lock builds?
>>
>>51030233
the veteran will make two attacks, preferring to use the longsword but if it has to it will use it's shortsword
>>
>>51030233
It can do either 2d10 attacks or 2d8 attacks and a 1d6 attack
>>
>>51030362
just multiclass

the first five levels of fighter are fucking amazing
>>
>>51030362
pact of the tomb
Nab Shillelagh and Find Familiar
Now you do everything
>>
Best Wizard school?
>>
>>51029195
My group generally gets short rests after every fight, but they don't take an hour. As long as you've got 5-10 minutes to just wander around and smell the scenery, even if you're investigating the place or fucking around with objects and spells, that's good enough.

Of course the DM knows if he's going to drop more enemies on us out of nowhere, so if he ever doesn't want a short rest, he just won't give us one.
>>
Chilled touch, fire bolt, or ray of frost?
>>
>>51030391
Divination, if you mean subclass
>>
>>51030412
Ray of Frost
>>
UA samurai vs UA knight, which one wins?
>>
>Monks are balanced

>If a melee attack hits you can spend a single ki point to attempt a stunning strike that last until the end of your next turn

>The end of your next turn

No actions, reactions, movement, all attacks have advantage against the creature, automatically fails strength and dex saves. and you can just do the same thing the next round.

Oh and you can attack twice
>>
>>51030416
I did and thank you.

I guess Portent is that good.
>>
>>51029751
>putting goblinoids and orcs in the same category
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>51030370
But if your goal of adventuring is to get loot and gold, then wouldn't it make sense you progress through that?

You see, if you were to run 5e in a more OSR-styled way, the idea is that you're not supposed to beat up everything you see unless there's a good reason. OSR promotes the idea of 'everything is potentially deadly, don't get into a fight if you don't need to and only do it if it furthers your goal (Which may be to get loot).

Yes, not every party is going to be loot-swilling greedhogs and it does encourage greed, but CR XP has its own problems and good points which make it suited for different things, such a campaign more focused on monster-hunting.

Milestones or roleplay/quest/achievement XP would be better suited to a campaign that's not about loot or monsters, but other stuff.

But, I don't know, I'm only in this argument because people are trying to tell me otherwise.
>>
>>51030433
What are some good spells or other effects to subject enemies to while they auto-fail Dex and Strength?
>>
Is Variant Human Paladin of Devotion with Polearm Master the True Path of Justice?
>>
>>51030462
The true path of justice requires a whip anon
>>
>>51030452
Disintegrate? 10d6+40, instakill if dropped to 0
>>
>>51030480
What are some good spells that will actually be seen in play*
>>
>>51030442
I think we're all confused why you're playing an OSR game in 5e when 5e suscribes to assumptions from 3e and 4e, where the characters beat up monsters and take their lunch money.

You'd better off running OSR for that.
>>
>>51030218
Mystics seem fine to me.

You seem like the kind of person who also hates monks because they don't feel like fantasy.
Just depends on what kind of setting you want to run. But it's all fantasy.
>>
>>51030452
>>51030480
As said, disintegrate has no halved effect on a successful save, so it needs to work.

If the target isn't already prone, grease will make it automatically fall prone whenever it enters the area of grease or ends its turn there. Sleet storm too.

Otiluke's Resilient Sphere does something.

Prismatic spray may blind or restrain a target and start incurring wisdom saves.

Web restrains.

I believe 'bones of the earth' can potentially put somebody on a big pillar up somewhere.

Evard's black tentacles.

Earthquake for a creature near a building.

>>51030555
It doesn't necessarily have to be full-on OSR, but rather have OSR themes.
5e actually has a number of callings back to OSR, I believe, where it encourages DMs to improvise on certain aspects and is designed more for creative thought than numbers like 3e and 4e were.
>>
>>51030474
And a Bugbear?
>>
What's the best way to play a hand-to-hand fighter that doesn't have the philosophy of a monk? Are there any archetypes? I'm not terribly familiar with 5e.
>>
>>51030515

lightningbolt, sphere fuckery
>>
>>51030377
>2d10 attacks or 2d8 attacks

thats some hokuto no kenshin shit right there
>>
>>51030452
Ensaring Strike. Restrains an enemy for a full minute (Concentration), meaning even once they're out of the stun they still have disadvantage on their attacks, grant advantage to all attackers, can't move anywhere, are taking (pitiful) damage each round, and have to use an action (wasting yet another turn) to do anything useful. And they now have disadvantage on Dex, so you can keep blowing them up.
Entangle and Maximilian's Earthen Grasp work similarly.

Transmute Rock can easily let you sink a target into mud and solidify it again.
>>
File: kenshirowat.jpg (31KB, 639x479px) Image search: [Google]
kenshirowat.jpg
31KB, 639x479px
>>51030641
>hokuto no kenshin
>>
>>51030218

Psions always seemed like another variation of Caster to me and that irked me. I'd like to see something new and original and unfortunately I can't conceive of anything of that sort.
>>
What is the best pet I can get to help with tracking?

Level 4 Fighter have pretty shit investigation want a way to cover for my shit tracking.

Was thinking of just getting a Mastiff but don't know if there is something better out there.
>>
>>51030692
Tracking should be survival, investigation is more like detective work and the such, of which animals have like <4 int
>>
>>51030617
Based on RAW?
I'd probably go barbarian with tavern brawler feat.

But if you're still looking to do dex, go monk but ignore the philosophy. Look at MMA dudes irl. They train in martial arts but they aren't all subscribed to mysticism.
>>
>>51030706
Ohh got it my Survival is not as bad as investigation but still lacking. Got any pet ideas for survival?
>>
File: Steeder.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Steeder.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>90ft jump
>Cast jump before wildshaping
>270ft horizontal jump

fukken yes
>>
I always liked the idea of Psions.

The idea of telepathy and telekinesis is cool but how can you make it interesting?
>>
File: Summoning another phantom.png (422KB, 474x434px) Image search: [Google]
Summoning another phantom.png
422KB, 474x434px
Say what you will about WotC, but holy fuck are they based.

>5e is arguably the best, most RP-oriented edition to date
>Even if you don't like core, they release almost monthly free, official expansions
>It's all quality
>>
>>51030769
>it's all quality

I dunno about that, senpai.
I do like 5e though, it's pretty good.
>>
>>51030769
They're finally based.

But yeah, they're doing not a bad job. But we need more options though.
>>
>>51030730
Barb with Tavern Brawler will give me 1d4+str mod for damage, right? I'd definitely prefer to use strength over dex, and was definitely considering barbarian.
>>
>>51030617
>play Monk
>don't use the philosophy of a Monk
>>
>>51030733
I'd of thought Mastiff or wolf, though they only have +1 Wis and no proficiency. Should you be in the market for a pet though if your DM is cool with it you could ask if you could specifically buy a hunting dog, which was an actual thing, using mastiff stats but with proficiency in survival when it comes to tracking, possibly even giving advantage if you have something to give their scent like their clothing or something.
Up to your DM, though animals tend to have average wisdom, i'd easily allow that if youd be willing to pay extra for a trained dog.
>>
>>51030819
Yes. And while you're raging you get a damage bonus applied to your melee attacks.

It's certainly not the most "optimal" build. But it's definitely fun. Also you can smash people with chairs and shit too.
>>
File: tavernbrawling.jpg (103KB, 844x728px) Image search: [Google]
tavernbrawling.jpg
103KB, 844x728px
>>51030850
>>
File: FifthEditionOptions.png (1MB, 900x1164px) Image search: [Google]
FifthEditionOptions.png
1MB, 900x1164px
Does anyone have a pdf for the Fifth Edition Options they'd be willing to share?
>>
>>51030844
Yeah I don't mind the extra cash. I'll talk to him about it he should be cool with it.
>>
Most creative uses for Awakened Mind ?
>>
>>51030733
Do you have animal handling to make pet do what you want though
>>
>>51030735
The ability says 90 feet so it's 90 feet.
>Overly-literal dick DM.
>>
>>51031101
Fuck it, I'd allow it. Costs them a spell slot to do it, and how useful is that much jump in 99% of scenarios?

Drider legs weren't built for anything more than 90 ft. The rest will cause them to take fall damage.
>>
>>51031089
If he does >>51030844 and buys a trained hunting dog, I'd say he probable wouldn't have to, seeing as how it's already trained, or at least it would be a fairly low DC.
>>
>>51031101
Expand your mind, man.

Jump 270ft into a group of enemies, sticky leg their leader and then jump back out.

Bam hostage
>>
>>51030429
Samurai for weeb fighting spirit
>>
>>51030735
> be a moon druid
> bonus action to wild shape into female steeder
> action to use sticky leg to grapple ord chieftain
> jump 90ft straight up and release him
> he still survive
> crash landing on him since I ran out of movement mid-air
> kill him and end up only took 2 damage in my human form.

It was fun doing 9d6 damage at level 3.
>>
How to implement a Lovecraft theme to my Wizard?
>>
>>51030769
I think that depends on the DM. Most of the class features are combat oriented. And admittedly I think 4e's Powers gave more flavor to combat because it gave more of a base to describe what your character's attacks are like. Which is something I only ever did in 4e. Though maybe I am just uncreative and can't think of a cool way to describe how I swing my sword without there being a secondary effect to build off of.

I will say, i hope in future editions they make classes like they did Revised Ranger, because the Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer Features are fantastic non-combat features.
I want more non-combat features, and I think these features are relegated to exploration, because Social is all down to the player's wit and creativity.
Admittedly, i would boil it down further to "more features to get information about the world". Battle Master's "Know Your Enemy" feature is something in this vain. Obviously spellcasters need this far less than martial classes. Might be better to relegate it to an Archetype to allow for people who want to play combat focused campaigns vs people who want to play roleplaying focused campaigns. A good example of this is playing a Divination Wizard vs playing an Evocation Wizard.
>>
>>51031166
GoO patron after your multiclass into warlock.
He came across a manuscript he really shouldn't have.
>>
>>51031195
>Multiclass into a warlock.

Why would I do that?
>>
>>51030429
Samurai. Knight is great at crowd control (especially at higher levels) but has no particular advantage in one-on-one battles outside of maybe mounted combat. Samurai is a more effective direct tank.
>>
>>51031210
Because you've discovered an eldritch being.
>>
>>51031146
Let's me check PHB.
It seems like all the mount and animals in 5e come already trained. So he wouldn't need to make check for it to do mundane easy stuff.

He would still need Animal Handling to stop it from getting spook by various thing (combat, dark cave, think of scooby doo). And he certainly need to use Animal Handling to learn what the animal found.
>>
>>51031089
Yes I do I got it cause I am the cart driver
>>
>>51031210
If not that, I'd think of doing lich-like shit in flavor of the Alchemist short story.
>>
>>51031225
Was thinking this

>Whilst researching and studying arcana he discovers beings that have not been seen in many years
>He becomes obsessed with researching and finding about these great old ones
>He trains himself in the art of magic so he can one day find and battle these great beings
>He drives himself made in the search
>>
Anyone have any one-off ideas they've really enjoyed?

Gonna run one for a group of level 1 characters soon and looking for some extra inspiration.
>>
>>51031170
The deal is that 5e gives you room to try and change up your attacks a bit, such as aiming for something in particular and not being held back because 'you need a specific ability to do that'. Although, there are still things like that where you might get told 'you can't get this benefit from charging, you need the charger feat'. Some of the feats are kinda lame.

But I do think it'd fit an OSR style game with less combat. Since you're doing less combat, you don't have to worry so much about there being less combat options, and the DM can take the liberty to make the fewer combats more interesting with props.
But then there's a problem in that if you don't do enough combats, long rest users will come out on top because you rest too often. So I guess you'd have to use the longer short/long rest rules.

However, yes, if your DM isn't the god of DMing and you go into a lot of combats then 4e would offer much better tactical and varied combat, especially for a fighter or something.
>>
>>51031266
That's cool. Still part of why I'd multiclass or go full GoO.

You draw your power from the very thing you want to destroy. Could also be that you've been driven mad by their touch so you want to destroy them.

Make the voices stop.
>>
>>51031166
The best way to do this is to pursue "forbidden" knowledge.

Tell your DM that you want to take your character in that direction. If your DM doesn't know what you want, they can't prepare content with that in-mind.

Everytime you go into a city ask to go to libraries and try and do some social persuasion stuff to gain access to the "back room" to see the books that are not available to the public.

If your DM is decent, they should provide you with opportunities during Adventures to get into Old God and Cosmic Secrets shenanigans.
>>
>>51031314
To add to this anon's post, illusion or necromancy could be good schools for you to consider.

Messing with peoples minds is very lovecraft and can be simulated with illusions. Necromancy can be is well, but that fits more into the theme of "forbidden" knowledge. As it's quite taboo.
>>
>>51031310
My only problem is that I don't like the Warlock class compared to a Wizard. I don't want to be a blaster per se. Just someone that taught themselves to find and deal with these horrors

>>51031314
That sounds good. Maybe the more I look into them the more I go crazy. Writing a book covering these horrors.

>>51031343
Necromancy and Illusion seem ideal choices. But what about Divination? That's more focused on finding and seeking knowledge of the unknown.
>>
>>51030769
HAHAHAHA
>Even if you don't like core, they release almost monthly free, official expansions
UA is alright but most of it is shit.
>It's all quality
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>51031371
Divination can also be a fine choice.
Your mind expands and you gain a "third eye."

Portent can be the fate of the cosmos. The stars aligning, etc.
>>
>>51031239
Assume that you can convince you DM to get survival proficiency in animal, why don't you take magic initiate and get an owl familiar?

- only based 10gp
- can fly at 60ft speed, so it can track stuff at 30ft speed
- darkvision
- already proficient stealth
>>
>>51031400
Damn. Thanks a lot you've all helped a ton.

For my background I'm gonna mix Sage and Hermit.

>Used to be a librarian
>Find a book about the old gods
>Become obsessed and go into isolation with even more books trying to unravel the mystery
>Finds out the mystery that everything happens because of the old ones
>Learn magic
>Comes out of hiding to find a party to deal with the horrors but nobody believing him

I guess I just need the DM to go along with it.
>>
>>51031388
>Quoting my post and then posting nothing but "HAHAH"
Not
>An
Argument
>>
>>51030218
>Personally, I know that psionics have been in DnD since forever, but I still don't like them. It doesn't feel like fantasy should feel to me.

I've always liked them, because while it doesn't feel like classic fantasy it DOES feel like D&D to me, which should really be acknowledged as it's own genre of fantasy that has heavily inspired many others.
>>
>>51030452
There are many auto-damage spells if your opponent autofails dex saves but here's some others of note:
Bones of the Earth to be lifted or pinned by the spell
Catapult auto hits plus you can use the spell to throw other status causing items (inhaled poisons, acid flasks, etc)
Earth Tremor for auto-damage and knock prone
Earthbind, flyer loses its ability to fly for the spell's duration (con, 1 min)
Evard's Black Testicles for rapey fun.
Immolation for continuous auto-damage
Lightning Lure to move enemy for free
Resilient Sphere to imprison them in a ball of force for a minute
Whirlwind for damage and control
>>
>>51031430
The proficiency was because it was in particular a trained hunting dog. Owl familiar is good, but probably wouldn't have great survival checks, though it would be good for spotting them. If you really want to track stuff down, a hunting dog + an owl would be good.
>>
Can you take more than one background?
>>
>>51031566
No, but you can mix and match certain parts of them to get the background you think fits the best.

See: customizing a background p. 125 PHB
>>
>>51031566
You can customise them. There are rules for it in the PHB
>>
>>51031566
No, then you'd get too many skills.
But you can make your own background.
Or you can can select a skill from your class that's the same as one you get from a background. Then because you doubled up on the same skill you can change that to any skill you like.
>>
>>51031566

No. But you can pick and choose your favorite bits

2 skill proficencies, 2 languages or tool proficiencies, one feature
>>
>>51031566
No, but for a more detailed answer see
>>51031593
>>51031595
>>51031605
>>51031615
>>
>>51030617
Who says Monks are philosophers?
Mine isn't. Taking references from the genre it's inspired by, it's just a skill that requires discipline and training (a different sort of discipline then a Fighter but similar enough), not actual philosophy or even religious focus.
>>
Alright, 5eg, I just ran a session and it went okay.

Most of it was great, and the only problem I have is that my party of 3 players has has turned into a total of 3 PCs and 6 NPCs (A town guard, 4 hunting dogs, and a giant bee.) As a result, combat is very difficult to design, and they just took down a CR5 troll with little difficulty, despite being only 4th level. Any advice on how to manage multiple creatures, or any advice on how to expand the Handle Animal rules?
>>
>>51031170
>Though maybe I am just uncreative and can't think of a cool way to describe how I swing my sword without there being a secondary effect to build off of.

Sorry to say, but it's just you.
Not to say it's a terrible or even terribly uncommon thing, some people just need more help being descriptive and such.
>>
>>51031706
You have fucked up somewhere along the way.
>>
>>51031512
Human train bird to hunt too.
>>
>>51031771
Oh yeah, which I why I'm trying to recover now. Plan A is to bump off a few of the dogs, but I'm looking for a more long-term solution.
>>
>>51031706
I sort of have a contract with my players saying if they don't bog down combat by bringing in mounts and allies, I'm less likely to do something horrible to their mounts and allies.
>>
>>51031706
You should realize that it's very easy in 5e for solo monsters to get absolutely wrecked if they are outnumbered.

This is partially by design and kind of a flaw, but know that action economy is king.
I wouldn't let the dogs do anything the players really say unless they spend an action to direct them in combat. Looking at beast master rangers, they are supposed to be "masters" and that's their entire subclass.
>>
>>51031593
>>51031595
>>51031605
>>51031615
>>51031635
Good stuff, thanks bros. That's actually really good. You're not actually mechanically pigeonholed at all.
>>
>>51031706

I'm guessing they passed a single animal handling roll and now the animals will mindlessly follow them up until their deaths

make the dogs turn on each other, flee in face of danger, turn hostile unless well fed and tamed. get rid of them. especially get rid of the bee which is too stupid to follow orders anyway.

let the player keep one dog as a pet but make him work for it. make it so that he has to spend time every day teaching him to follow orders, feeding him, etc. a random dog you befriend on the streets won't attack a dragon just because you fed him some scraps
>>
>>51031706
The troll should one shot those hunt dogs.
With that many creatures the party appropriate CR is way above CR+1.

Also never use single enemy unless it's CR+5 or CR+6 (for a normal 4 man party).

Also next time split the NPC off or let them refuse to fight or have them take share of loots and gold from PC or even reduce the reward and xp from quest. Train your players not to rely on NPC.
>>
>>51031802
A familiar wouldn't be pre-trained, which i'm no expert but I think it has to be done over its whole life. A hunting falcon would be usable as well, though probably harder to control and would require some animal handling checks, at least thats how I'd probably handle it.
>>
>>51031812
Also remember that customize background isn't even an optional rule (unlike feat and multiclass). Just in case some jerk want to stop you from having fun.
>>
>>51031856
>The troll should one shot those hunt dogs.
Never got the chance. One of the party grappled him, one beat the shit out of him, and once the last one got the dogs moving, it was over. A few lucky crits later, and the party just had to torch the corpse.
>>
>>51031899
>party grabs the troll by the arm
>troll just rips himself away losing the arm
>it grows back
>he is no longer grappled

DO YOU EVEN TROLL?
>>
>>51031807
I may steal this.
>>51031808
>I wouldn't let the dogs do anything the players really say unless they spend an action to direct them in combat.
Yeah, I did simple DC 10 Animal Handling checks tonight. I think I may have to up that to 15 every time the dogs meet a new enemy.
>>
>>51031873
> fey and celesrial spirits are 100+ years older than you
> somehow you couldn't find one that is train in survival and tracking
> but a 2 years old dog can

Yeah... right..
>>
>>51031829
>I'm guessing they passed a single animal handling roll and now the animals will mindlessly follow them up until their deaths
Nah, I fell for that in my 3.5 campaign. This time they bought trained hunting dogs, and they just wreck shit with them. Hopefully the next few encounters start to make the dogs non-viable.
>>
>>51031922
Fuck me, I'm an uncreative idiot. Oh well, it was just a random encounter.
>>
I've been trying to create a creature for my game. It's mostly a like flesh golem made by a death cult, with parts of bodies they've been stealing from the warzone, an insatiable flesh eating humanoid giant (large) aberration. It's supposed to be the bad guy's new prototype weapon for his overlords, so I want the fight to be interesting. I thought it could have the hand of a sorcerer, so when it tries to cast a certain spell, the spell also blows off his wrist or something.

What are some cool abilities it could have to make the battle more memorable?
>>
>>51031807
It's a classic trope. The main characters are cursed. Ever watch any TV show drama? The nameless side kick that follows the action cop into the firefight will die.
The solution is just don't bring your friends with you.
>>
>>51031950
Start a combat with fireball (2 or 3 flameskull should be the right spot for level 4 party)

Lotsa dead dogs and waste of gold.
>>
>>51031966
It's okay. You'll get better at shit like this.
>>
>>51031970

halfway through the fight he rips off his own left arm and starts using it as a club
>>
>>51031930
Going off that then, "a spirit that takes an
animal form" as in, it's literally not an animal. It would have the senses of an animal, but not the skills of a trained animal. If you can convince your DM otherwise, sure, but in my eyes, it's just a blank spirit, similiar to unseen servant, without any prior memory, knowledge or skills pulled from the ass of the universe.

It only has the statistics of a beast, it is not a beast.
>>
>>51031873
You realize that you can homebrew familiar just like how you homebrew that freaking "hunting dog" right? If you allow one, why not the other? Unless you have /pfg/-tier fetish with the dog?
>>
>>51032001
Druid use animal stats too and gain animal skill, but they are still proficienct in whatever skill they have before.

Also... did you just insult Druid as a blank soul less person?
>>
>>51031980
The place the players are headed to is filled with goblins and cultists. Plenty of opportunity for dog kills.
>>
>>51031706
Kill the dogs off
>>
>>51032049
> level 4
> still fighting goblins and cultists
Are you serious?
>>
>>51031889
Tbqh I was actually initially put off by the backgrounds, why should my character be dictated by these snippets of text?
But I realized they are good additions to the game.
The game just gets better and better.
>>
Going to play my first game of d&d within the next 2 weeks and since the DM is allowing multiclassing I was planning on going Bard/cleric. Is is bad that I want to MC right away at level 2?

Also i was planning on getting Thaumaturgy as one of my cleric cantrips so i could pair it with Prestidigitation and Minor illusion for maximum RP potential, is this overkill?
>>
>>51032077
Yeah man, unless they're directly part of a story you've been continuing from level 1, you should be fighting baby dragons, demons, crazy monsters already. Make the PCs go "whaaaat?"
>>
>>51032080
They help a lot of people come up with actual characters as opposed to gimmicks or a pile of mechanics. I like them.
>>
>>51032096
You should get to level 2 or 3 first. That's when you get a class defining feature.

What do you want to get from Cleric?
>>
>>51032009
He wanted a beast that was good at tracking. Seeing as how none exist in the book, it would be safe to say that sort of tracking is not a naturally occurring ability, more of a skill one learns, such as a trained hunting dog, falcon, boar any other animal you want it doesn't matter. Yes, you could homebrew such a familiar, All i'm saying is that for what he was looking for, a trained animal would be what you are looking for.

It's pretty much up to him and his DM. If he wants to take magic initiate/ritual caster, if that fits his character, and if his DM agrees with you, then sure, familiar would work for that. If he doesn't want to use a feat to improve his tracking, instead preferring a real animal (as he asked for the best pet he can get, so thats also what I assumed), then asking his DM if he could buy a trained hunting animal would probably be his best bet.
Not everyone is a fetishist, hunting dog was just the first tracking animal that came to mind eg bloodhounds or something, and would make sense to give them proficiency + advantage if they have a smell to go off (if he's tracking a humanoid, not another beast.)

>>51032034
Going off find familiars wording, "You gain the service of a familiar, a spirit that takes an
animal form you choose" as in it's just a spirit, Druids aren't spirits, they are magic humanoids.
>>
>>51032096
Yes. This is overkill.

Just make a Tiefling bard
>>
>>51032077
See, hear's the thing. I can't play solo monsters worth shit, but I nearly killed the party with 5 goblins. They're not just meeting goblins in 30'x30' dungeon rooms, they're going onto the goblins' home turf, which means 4' high tunnels, ambushes, snipers, archers firing from prepared positions, pit traps, poison spikes, baskets of spiders, and loads of fun shit. The goblins might go down easy, but it's going to be a pain in the ass to find them and hit them.
>>
>>51032096
Depends on why you're doing the MC.
I often multiclass that early but because we start at level 3, so I have a dip in my minor-class for characterization/background purposes.
>>
>>51032077
>>51032108
Oh, I should clarify: these aren't the MM cultists. They are more powerful monsters who are members of a cult.
>>
>>51031856
>Also never use single enemy unless it's CR+5 or CR+6 (for a normal 4 man party).
What? I thought the entire point was that for one CR 5 creature to be a fair challenge for a party of 4 level 5 PCs. Is this assuming idiocy or competency?
>>
>>51032114
Was going to dip 1 level into Cleric for the life domain bonus and bless since my group doesn't have a healer so i was planning on going full support/healing. Also guidance seems pretty nice.
>>
>>51032157
Bard gets cure wounds, plus song of healing/rest/refreshement/whatever at level 2
>>
>homebrew
Into the trash it goes
>>
File: Psionics.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Psionics.pdf
1B, 486x500px
EVERY
THREAD
Gonna post pugilists next. Which do you believe to be the stronger of the two?
>>
>>51032156
Here's a secret. CR is mostly garbage. For example, a giant octopus CR 1, can TPK a party of 4 level 1 characters.

You need to learn your party and what they're capable of and try to scale accordingly.
>>
File: Pugilist Class.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Pugilist Class.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51032197
>>
>>51031970

Maybe it has faces sewn into it that do the chanting for the somatic components for him so he can cast two spells a turn, or the like?
>>
>>51032115
Spirits has skill,mind and personality. Pretty much any religion other than Christian agree.

Also comparing spirits to unseen servant (shapeless and mindless force) is stupid.
>>
File: Scar FMA.jpg (16KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Scar FMA.jpg
16KB, 400x225px
How do you guys feel about a NPC that fucks with the party by let's say killing off friendly NPC, stealing quest items and setting traps for the party. I want to hint he is doing it for a better reason then to be evil.

Eventually they have to team up to deal with a bigger threat.

I kind of just want to rip off pic related not backstory wise more power and look.

Just wondering if this has ever worked for you other DM's out there or if you never did this before what do you think of it?
>>
>>51032197
Nigga do you expect me to read all that bloat?
>>
>>51032156
Action enconomy. I'm the DM who got his shit packed in by hunting dogs. When 90% of things in the initiative order gang up on the other 10%, shit goes south fast.
>>
>>51032240
>bloat?
What fucking bloat.
>>
>>51032109
Yeah, too right mate. They're good. I'd imagine those coming from 3.5e, PF would be trying to wrap their heads around it.
Also thanks for confirming they're actually part of the core rules.
>>
>>51032229
I have mostly thought of familiars as something entirely under your control ie a part of you, though sure if you disagree you can have them work differently. I guess maybe it's because i have never had a chain warlock, but none of my players have ever had their familiar have a personality for the most part, most just use it as an extension of their body in a way.

If you disagree, sure thats fine. Again, I was totally fine with using a familiar for the whole thing, I just feel like it makes a little more sense for it to be a live, trained animal, and if he's not so much a magic using character, or prefers real animals (which seeing as how he has animal handling already, is likely).

Also as a DM i'd prefer the real animal route for it, adds a little gameplay in feeding/keeping safe, isn't completely under your control, can't so much be abused for scouting and can always be used for plot hooks (it runs off, bringing back a dead body- though not the one you were looking for, or something like that, which if it can use your senses doesn't work so much). Also I have found that people get a lot more attached to living things than they do for their familiar, which can be resummoned. Familiar works fine for it in general though
>>
>>51032197
>see the post above yours you fucking loser
>>
>>51032413
Get over it. Until mystic UA comes out, every thread i'm awake for.
>>
>>51032235
You have to make him likeable in some area too.

Like showing that he has code of honor. Show that he has compassion. Stuff like that.
>>
>>51032156
That was the only intention, but it doesn't work out too well in practice. It just ends up boiling down to the party having twice as many, if not more, actions than the monster. I've heard a lot of people say that making combat encounters is more of an art than a hard science
>>
>>51032410
> not liking Pokemon
> you can even put familiar back into Pokeball
> only "fainted"
> get Shocking grasp or something and pretend it's a electric/flying type
>>
>>51032450
I think it's more like cooking? Having recipe help, but you still have to cater to your customer taste.
>>
>>51032410
I think you just play the familiar wrong then. It obey your command doesn't mean that the PC get to control it.

DM should be the one controling familiar and intrepret the command.
>>
>>51032443
Yeah was thinking of having a soft side of the defenseless leading to the teamup
>>
>>51032235
It can be exceedingly difficult to make a villain that rivals the party without them wanting to kill him. Particularly if he's taking things from them, like literal objects.

Best way to guarantee his lifespan is make him more of a rival- Opposing goals, but in more of a "King has a ransom for X dragon" and he gets there first 'n shit.
>>
>>51032590
Thats fair, though I do prefer to lower the amount of micromanagement so I leave control up to them, though I don't allow them to do something that would require them to have full control over them.
>>
Does Adventurers League allow falling paladins? I want my paladin to fall.
>>
>>51032731

Sure, it's 1d6 damage per ten feet fallen.
>>
>>51032610
Yeah I'm going to be sure to put him in scenarios where it will be very hard for the PC's to keep up with him.
>>
>>51032825
*audiences laughter*
>>
>>51032197
It's ok
>>
Anons? Three quick questions:

What exactly are you expecting us to get for the remaining Subclass UAs? Ranger, we already have Deep Stalker, Archer and Beastmaster, so what's left? Bounty Hunter, maybe, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of other options. Ditto for the Rogue; we've got Assassin, Thief & Arcane Trickster in the corebook, Mastermind & Swashbuckler in the SCAG, and the Inquisitive from the Gothic Heroes UA - what's left? Especially since Scout is already a Fighter subclass. The mages, well, there's probably a fair number of things we could see - chronomancers, elementalists, wilderness/healer patrons for warlocks, genie patrons, etc.

Secondly, what's the general consensus on the Eberron Update shifter? They're a little bland to me, do others think they're underpowered?

Finally, if I wanted to convert the Saurian Shifters (basically were-dino shifters) from 3.5 to 5e, would I be better off going with specific dinos as a basis for the subrace, or stick with the "old shifter aspects become new one-only subraces" approach used for the official shifters? I ask because I tried the latter and it feels... well, kind of boring.
>>
Ok, /5eg/.

What spells do I ban to make my life as a DM easier.

So far I've got teleports, planeswalking, and wishes on the list.

What are the most breakable, obnoxious spells in the PHB?
>>
File: seinfeld.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
seinfeld.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>51032930

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B9PAIMvce8
>>
>>51032979
if you can't play around those spells you're a shit dm
>>
>>51032731
I know for certain that AL doesn't allow DMG classes, so your Paladin cannot become an Oathbreaker.

If you want your paladin to fall and become a fighter or something, I think that "paladin falling" is mentioned in the PHB in a green-box, so it may be possible. If the rule is very unclear, then you may be able to make a legitimate argument in favor of a class change to fighter or possibly ranger or bladelock with your DM.

If you want your paladin to change alignment in the process of falling, I think AL bans NE and CE.
>>
>>51033011

Feel better?
>>
>>51032979
Conjure X

lazy fuck
>>
>>51033026
I am already taking levels in bladelock, so something like that might work. I am not going for fell to evil, more on the lines of not believing in an oath anymore.
>>
>>51031018
>Combine with Comprehend Languages for a 1st level version of Tongues that you can cast as a ritual if you pick up Book of Ancient Secrets
>Scaring people by telepathically screaming at them
>Convince people that a god is trying to communicate with them
>>
>>51032979
Ban True Polymorph. That spell is more powerful than Wish, since a level 20 Wizard can become certain ancient dragons permanently with (and turn his party into them as well) as well as make an army of Devas out of pebbles while turning cockroaches into swords and armor. It is the only spell that I ban in my games, and I don't even allow NPCs to have it. Alternatively, just nerf the spell so that it can't become permanent

Ban Clone and Demiplane if you are worried about cheating death, since they give safe immortality to not just the wizard, but the entire party, removing the threat of death.

Not many lower-level spells are truly ban worthy.
>>
>>51032979
What is the point of playing high level campaign then? Guess I will just play Cleric and spam Divine Intervention every week until I get wish.
>>
>>51033116
True polymorph into a dragon mean he lost all his spell casting class feature.

And it's an easy fix with dispel magic.
>>
>>51032979
The only real broken thing is Wish-Simulacrum, which you just need to house rule a bit to deal with. Something like, "only one simulacrum of a given creature can exist at a time and you cannot make simulacra of simulacra".

Not sure if anything else is broken enough to warrant house ruling, let alone outright banning.
>>
>>51033144
Losing spellcasting is a loss that has to be accepted, but going up from essentially a CR13 creature (a level 20 character put into terms of CR) to a CR20 dragon with huge defenses and consistent damage output is difficult.

Does Dispel Magic work on permanent True Polymorph? I had never thought about it like that. Thanks for the idea!

However, though the spellcasting check to beat it is DC 19 if using anything less than a 9th level spell slot, and if the player recluses himself, creating an army is still an issue that would require a lot of spellcasters with Dispel Magic to fight against.

To be fair, that does make for a nice plot, fighting against an immensely powerful army whose one weakness is Dispel Magic. I might use that in the future.
>>
>>51032197
Im trying to keep my players as far as fucking possible from this shit
>>
>>51033189
Wouldn't the simulacrum only have half the hp of the simulacrum casting simulacrum? Thankfully, the Clone Army is limited to about 6-8 iterations in that case, depending on the Wizard's maximum HP. The last four clones would have pitiful hp in the single or double digits, even though they have full spellcasting ability.
>>
>>51032197
Psionics sucks, please die.
>>
>>51033304
You better get used to em then, they're a damn shoe-in for PHB 2 given the work going into the mystic UA.
>>
>>51033334
Don't care, never using.
>>
>>51033214
The duration is permanent not instantaneous. You can dispel it.
>>
>>51033353
Then what is your issue?
>>
>>51033254
The trick is to have your simulacrum make another similacrum with you as a base (and not a simulacrum of itself)
>>
>>51033214
Antimagic field work too btw.
>>
>>51033400
I rule that the spell remembers how many copies of any original being there are, and the next simulacrim would have half HP of the first one regardless of who casts it it on who.
>>
>>51033474
Nice house rule. But your house rule and opinion doesn't mean shit on the internet. Only pure cold RAW and crawford's word does.
>>
>>51033526
Have you ever met a dm that would allow any of the simulacrum shenanigans people talk about?
>>
>>51033542
No. Because a game above level 10 doesn't actually exist in reality.
>>
>>51032979
Just keep an eye on what components cost and how long it takes to do some of these things.

Remembering that is usually enough to negate any autistic spell shenanigans you see most of the people on /tg/ theorycraft. They almost never come up.
>>
>>51033385
The exact wording is, "If you concentrate on this spell for the full
duration, the transformation becomes permanent."

One could argue that once the spell has run the course of its 1 hour duration, it has ended and the permanency of the transformation is just the side affect.

You could liken someone casting Dispel Magic on a polymorphed creature to some trying to dispel the changes made by the Move Earth spell. The spell is already done and the changes have been made.

That said, it's still highly debatable in either direction. Does anyone know if there's been some sage advice on this?
>>
>>51033568
Which is kind of unfortunate. Some of the coolest shit happens at level 11-20.

I find most people just start getting bored of their characters or the campaign and want to play something else.
>>
File: vape free.png (51KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
vape free.png
51KB, 600x600px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/items.html#Navigator%27s%20Tools

Added a few item categories and fixed the handling of apostrophes on the bestiary, spells, and item pages.
>>
>>51033604
That's why leveling up twice instead of once whenever you would normally level up is the best house rule.
>>
>>51032197

>energy ray and ballistic attack talents

i think there should be some room for a talent for minor telekinesis as one of their defaults. Similar to mage Hand in range and weight limit probably.
>>
>>51033621
Myself, I just level everyone up after every 2-3 sessions based on story events.
>>
>>51033591
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/01/can-permanent-magical-effects-be-dispelled/

Willful misreading doesn't make permanent duration become instantaneous duration
>>
>>51033604
My War Cleric just hit 12, although i am the highest level in the party., the DM always brings in new characters at a slightly lower XP or level, depending on the situation and i'm the last original party member.

I'm trying to figure out what ASI/Feat to take, 12 war cleric. I have Warcaster and Resilient(Con), 20 wis, and 16/16 for con/str.
The strongest answer is probably +2 con, but it would also make for the most boring level up in history.
>>
A zealot Barbarian who is so profoundly enraged at the party that he impales himself on his flaming longsword so that he can pursue them eternally as a immolated berserker
>>
>>51033660
Fair enough. Kind of drains some of the fun out of the spell, but that's a fair price to pay when dealing with the possibility of the entire party becoming dragons.
>>
>>51033699
Skilled.
>>
>>51033699

When in doubt, take lucky.
>>
>>51033699
Do you use a shield?
Fucking shield master, nigga.
>>
>>51033660
So am I retarded or am I reading this right?
He's saying you can save someone from true polymorph's permanence?

That's kinda dumb.
>>
>>51033789
It's still a spell, even if it lasts forever.
>>
>>51033796
Yeah, but I like the idea of using it as a way to punish your enemies, but yet be merciful to them.

>you will now live forever as a cat

Does this mean it would show up under detect magic?
>>
>>51033660
Because of different terminology I'd have assumed that the effect wouldn't be able to be dispelled. Nice to know that 9th level wizards can make an army out of rocks and sand that can still be defeated by dispel magic.
>>
> anon screaming that true polymorph is OP
> someone show evident that it can be counter
> anon screaming about how that's stupid and it shouldn't be counterable

What the hell do you want anon??
>>
>>51033743
It's an option, although I'm not sure what would be particularly helpful.
>>51033744
Probably what i'll end up doing. Bit more bookkeeping can't hurt.
>>51033747
I have too much competing for my bonus actions already.
>>51033824
I don't see why it wouldn't it's just a permanent spell.
Plus, mind death is merciful to you?
>>
>>51033833
Antimagic field is a better way to defeat the said wizard.
>>
>>51033868
>Plus, mind death is merciful to you?
Well you spare them from death. Give them a new life as a pet that can shit wherever they want.

Actually on second thought I kind of like this. Giving me Peter Pettigrew vibes.
>>
>>51033857
>/5eg/ is one person

Also most people seem to be agreeing that TP being counterable is probably for the best, if a bit less fun.
>>
Is there no DM's Guild trove anymore? I was hoping to see if Deadworlds was worthwhile.
>>
>>51033568
To be fair, I currently run a game of 4 level 13 PCs and have for about 2 months now. Higher level games are exceedingly rare, but they are certainly fun to run, especially when you're the DM and can throw things with crazy mechanics at the players.
>>
>>51033898
You prevent their soul from going to the afterlife that would normally befit them, instead removing everything that makes them, them. Best case scenario, it's a truly evil person that would suffer in the afterlife, and its postponed.

Worst case, they would go to a happy afterlife and you turn them into a chair forever.
>>
>>51033913
You don't actually exist. You are just my fantasy.
>>
>>51033868
You also get bonus to dex saves (your shield's AC bonus), and if you have to make a dex save, you can use your reaction to take no damage if you would take only half damage on a success.

Tanking a dragon's fire breath is bad ass.

I dunno, seems like 2 cool options and a nice passive if you've got your shield.
>>
>>51033936
Just start a campaign at high levels bro.
>>
>>51033931
Right, it's more the first scenario. Turning an evil person into a frog.

It's less about torturing a good person. But if you're in an evil campaign that's classic witch shit right there.
>>
>>51033568
I've been DMing a game for almost 3 years now. started at 5, characters are 16/17 at the moment. Wrapping up soon.
>>
I've reached 11+ in two campaigns, about to reach 11 in a third, and I'm slated to play in two more 1-15 campaigns later this year. Play with better people, seriously.
>>
>>51033568
My party just hit level 9.
We will see. I'm crossing my fingers.
>>
>>51033936
Anon, If I had room for you in my Tuesday morning campaigns, I'd show you the wonders of what a party that can rival small nations can do with enough motivation.
>>
>>51033568
I've played to level 20 before. Things were getting weird by the end, though. The casters were getting obsessed accruing power and the martials became infatuated with domination. I think my character was the only one by the end of the campaign who just wanted to go home and live a quiet life.
>>
>>51034003
Absolute power corrupts, absolutely.

Your DM should've tossed in a night hag to turn them evil and steal their souls. Would've been a good end.
>>
Why is variant human hand crossbow fighter with sharpshooter and crossbow expert literally the best character option
>>
>>51033989
>level 13
>rival a small nation

In what way?

In combat, even level 20s couldn't beat a small nation without some really severe bullshitting.
>>
>>51034646

Because you're trying to generate conversation, which I find laudable, but the question posed doesn't really lend to any useful outcome.

Instead, give me an interesting cursed magic item that one might concievably keep in a vault.
>>
>>51034700
If a party of 4 level 20 characters can't find a way to make a nation yield to them, either they weren't smart enough or the DM put level 20 NPCs in their way
>>
I'm making a High Elf Divination Wizard and I'm trying to think of a background. The idea is that he was trained since a young age to be an oracle or court-mage for a High Elven king, but then he has a vision of said High Elven city being completely decimated by some event. He goes and sets out on his quest because he wants to prevent that event from happening, even though he doesn't exactly know how.

Should I have it that he was exiled and thus would have a Hermit background? Or not exiled but just on his quest? Or should he be a Sage? Acolyte doesnt really work since I wasn't thinking that the Divination would be related to religion, but I could change that. IDK What the fuck to do
>>
So guy, do you have any idea of how to make Punch-Barian ? It was alway one of my favorite type of character
>>
>>51034734
You don't need a level 20 to beat a level 20.
This is 5e, not 4e or 3e.

The main issues are 'bullshit' like a wizard spamming wish to clone everybody in the party and hide those clones in an alternate dimension. The small nation would need some level of wizardry which prevents the party from moving on from their bodies in that case.

Of course, if you give the players enough bullshit magic items, that could also make it work.

The only way to beat a small army of mooks is to abuse magic heavily and hope there aren't any magical counters on the other side you can't handle. You'd have to do things like teleport when they get near, hide in alternate dimensions whenever convenient or whatever, or you would never get to rest and somebody like a wizard would be reduced to being able to do nothing but an at-will level 1 spell, an at-will level 2 spell and cantrips.
Any non-fullcasters wouldn't be able to do anything flashy. They can fight, but that's about it. Perhaps a ranger can spam volley and run away constantly, but the small army is likely to wisen up and devise some sort of tactic to counter that.

In a fight of 1 fighter against 100 peasants, the 100 peasants would win if they don't suffer from morale issues or anything like that. Maybe a champion could use their regeneration ability though.
In a fight of 1 wizard against 100 peasants, the wizard would win, but they may have to use up spell slots and couldn't keep that up forever.
>>
File: chabelo.jpg (24KB, 485x298px) Image search: [Google]
chabelo.jpg
24KB, 485x298px
Let's settle this once and for all, /5eg/

www.strawpoll.me/12033179/
>>
>>51034810
>>51034734
Oh, but, there are ways, I suppose.

If they take on guerilla tactics and do everything in some sort of a stealth style and the small nation doesn't have any counter-agents, that might work. Typically a small nation would have at least some level 10 or lower equivalent characters who could find a way to set up a fight where their army isn't being picked off one by one in the barracks or something.
>>
>>51030218
Uh guys, what book (and section of the trove) should one look in for Underdark information?

Or is there no specific 5e book for it yet?
>>
File: rangerskill_by_cristi_b-d74cmo6.jpg (253KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
rangerskill_by_cristi_b-d74cmo6.jpg
253KB, 1024x1024px
>>51034791
make one up

two skills
a tool
a language
some items which are just fluff and 10GP

and some feature

run it by your DM
>>
>>51034865
SCAG
Out of the Abyss is set in the Underdark
>>
How would I play a LE paladin of Bahamut
>>
>>51034896

Hmm...well, the evil in this case would probably be about self-interest; so perhaps lean more heavily on the universal greed that all dragons share in one way or another, and try and maass your own horde- ideally of platiunum in honour of the god you admire.
>>
>>51034893
Ahh, thanks!
>>
>>51034646
> still can't beat a clone army of True Polymorph simulacrum Wizards
>>
>>51034917

This way, well, perhaps Bahamut will overlook your bad behaviour, so long as you stay away from doing *certain* bad things regarding dragons and dragon-interests.
>>
>>51034919
there's also a 3.5 book but IDK if its any good

probably some 2e stuff too
>>
>>51034810
Even without Wish and/or Simulacrum nonsense I'd expect a party going about it smartly to employ guerrilla tactics and/or infiltration. They could also raise an army from another friendly area to help deal with mooks.

Obviously if a fighter stood in the middle of a field and fought 100 soldiers the soldiers would eventually kill him (probably). But put that same fighter in a narrow corridor with the 100 soldiers only able to approach from one side and suddenly the fighter can take out a lot more of them and still maintain the option of retreat.

Yes the army would realize when they are in a losing fight and rethink their strategy, but 4 adventurers could likely come up with enough things the army can't easily deal with to either wipe them out or force a surrender.
>>
What's the deal with Ryan dancey?
>>
>>51034979
The issue is, though, if the party is being persued, they won't have any chances to rest unless they have somebody such as a wizard to teleport them somewhere peaceful or allow something of that kind.

If they fight in a corridor, they might have it so nobody goes down that corridor to fight. Everybody would prepare reactions at the end of the corridor to tackle and overwhelm the fighter the moment they leave, and the fighter would have to find some other way else. If the corridor isn't collapsed on them.

It really relies on the nation not having any significant collection of minor spellcasters (A wizard's college full of level 5 wizards would be incredibly scary), the party having enough wizarding power and everybody in the party not being an idiot (they have to be players who realize the situation and won't just charge in like goons. Then again, we have to assume the DM is decent, too).
Also, any splitting of the party and an ambush could work heavily against the party.

I guess the deal is the main threat the party would show is the fact they might be able to wing it through the palace windows and assassinate the king, then fly out again. Or convince a neighbouring nation to go conquer them, or pay off a mercenary army, or just cause civil unrest.

I guess it really depends what kind of a small nation it is.

Well, a level 20 party could have a chance through underhanded tactics. A level 13 or so party sounds like it probably wouldn't make it.
>>
>>51034943
Bahamut does not overlook evil deeds.
>>
File: Number_One_Dime.jpg (55KB, 626x479px) Image search: [Google]
Number_One_Dime.jpg
55KB, 626x479px
>>51034726
A simple coin, marked with a heads and tails. When flipped and called correctly, it can take the appearance of any other coin as the user dictates before flipping.

If called incorrectly, a duplicate of this coin, enchantment included, appears next to every coin matching the intended appearance in a 50 mile radius. To the user, the coin takes the appearance and then duplicates itself.
>>
>>51034896
Bahamut's a faggot
You'd have to go with Moradin or something and there might be strong grounds for potential redemption
>>
>>51034646
A bunch of fighter2/warlock3/sorcererX blasters would be better for all the delicious knockback they get combined with spellcasting if they need it and all of those invisible familiars
>>
File: Cr-rt-YUkAAzEaB.jpg large.jpg (118KB, 1024x741px) Image search: [Google]
Cr-rt-YUkAAzEaB.jpg large.jpg
118KB, 1024x741px
>>51032221
to the guy that posted this.
does this mean you can use a spear on this class? seems a bit weird. yet you can't use a great club which is basicly a baseball bat.
>>
>>51032221
>>Starting at 1st level, you can add your constitution modifier instead of your dexterity modifier to determine your armor class when you are wearing light or no armor and are not using a shield.

>multiclass with barbarian
>Unarmored Defense is 10+DEX+CON
>replace DEX with CON
>your AC is now 10+2*CON
>max out constitution
>your unarmored AC is now 16 at 1st level and 20 later
>>
Suddenly, pugilist talk

>>51032221
The deal with pugilist is it basically panders to the faggots who're saying 'I want to be a fighter, but I want to punch things'
Which is fine and all, but honestly the class isn't very interesting. Everything it does can already be done by a barbarian or monk or something similar.
>>
>>51035123

That's perhaps a little too world-breaking. Like holy shit.
>>
>>51035267
>>51032221
I think there's just too much stuff. Most levels have TWO really good features, and that's in addition to increasing damage die and moxie points. And I haven't even gotten to the subclasses yet. It's like reverse dead levels.

>You get an ASI! Oh, and also a mini-barbarian-rage!
>>
>>51030412
ray of frost is better early on, but fire bolt scales better with level due to the higher dice. Of course there's really no excuse to not have both, since slowing only helps if your opponent is moving and if you can't freeze and set fire to things at will what sort of caster are you?
>>
>>51035267
my thoughts too. but honestly I have a player who made a blade-lock and now he's sick of it and wants to make a wresterer type of character and I thought this would fit him.

honestly I always go fighter myself, sometimes I multiclass but in the end I always end up fighter.

if you ask me homebrew sucks dick when it comes to classes. home brew should be saved for rules. for instance I make it considerably harder to heal yourself in my world without healing potions.

but you get some people that can't just be normal they have to be something personalized and special, while on the flip side some think theres already too much choice. it's funny seeing the contrast of the guy who see's druid, cleric, warlock, sorcerer and wizard and thinks "non of these magic users match the true me" with the guy who looks at all of them and just says. "I don't care which one I just want to use magic"
>>
>>51035308
Abjuration Wizard
>>
>>51035287
Well, yeah. It gives monk level of damage+1 and gives you some pretty decent toughness boosts (though it's odd to give a level 3 archetype AND a short rest feature that gives you temporary HP) but overall it's not actually that powerful. It just doesn't really fulfill a role other than 'not dying very easily', and even then it's on 1d8 hitdice and doesn't get barbarian's resistance to damage. Oh, then again, it does get a mini-barbarian-rage, but eh.

While it looks very much like a monk, I wouldn't say it is. A monk has stunning strike. This does not.
It's very much like a barbarian. They just exist to take damage and have some other capabilities. Honestly, it really does feel like a barbarian that punches things.

You could also replace the grappler pugilist with barbarogue very easily.

So it doesn't bring anything new or overpowered to the table, it just allows somebody to go strength-based punching.
>>
>>51030429
If you mean a 1v1 duel then the samurai would win, but in terms of actual class quality it's definitely the knight for my money. Much more consistent, provides great control and huge, punishing damage to keep people away from the guy that melts enemies with this mind.Definitely more compelling than being able to press the "better at everything for 1 turn" button a couple times.
>>
>>51030218
Psionics seems super neat and only expands the setting
Users of the physica, users of the mystic, and users of the MIND
so when are they coming up?
also whens the next book out.
any tips for getting a group together? im building a setting but its all for naught if all i can get is my brother.
>>
Is there a point to adding divine rank to an avatar's attacks and other numbers?
Lathander's avatar has a +18 to attack or +35 with his divine rank added on.
He also doesn't miss on natural 1s and always deals maximum damage

Lathander's stats were just updated from his 2e ability scores.
STR 26 (+8), DEX 25 (+7), CON 30 (+10), INT 27 (+8), WIS 23 (+6), CHA 30 (+10).
>>
File: where do you think we are 5e.jpg (282KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are 5e.jpg
282KB, 1067x800px
>>51035376
>>
>>51035392
Wat.
>>
>>51035427
This is a 5e thread. There are no stats for god avatars in 5e--unless you count Tiamat's stat block, but that's supposed to be her proper.
>>
>>51035450
There's precedent, Tiamat has been statted and there's stats for the Demon Lords.
Tiamat's avatar form was statted, the gods themselves don't get stats.
>>
File: irisdollringring.jpg (65KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
irisdollringring.jpg
65KB, 400x400px
>>51035376
>this high fantasy god avatars shit
>in MY 5e
Get out
>>
>>51035308
>>51035320
Level 6 to be more specific
>>
>>51035470
Your loss.
>>
>>51035470
Yes, that's exactly right, your 5e is not the same as everyone else's.

Stop thinking your fat is all encompassing.

>>51035392
You meme and write like a retard.
>>
>>51035365
in early Feb after the PHB classes get their uas
>>
File: 1440557741739.jpg (177KB, 528x810px) Image search: [Google]
1440557741739.jpg
177KB, 528x810px
Are clerics shit? What are the best cleric domains?
>>
>>51035450
>>51035470
And what's the reason? Legitimate reasons and not just autistic reactions.
>>
>>51035650

Because the mechanics of the game, action economy and bounded accuracy that are fundamental to the 5e system makes it very unsuitable to very powerful divine beings and other such things.
>>
How the hell, as a DM, can I describe a ranger's arrow hits in an interesting way?

Compared to every other kind of attack, I find narrating arrows hitting a target to be singularly...bland. I mean, there's only one way to fire a bow and only one way an arrow arcs- the only difference is where the arrow hits.
>>
>>51035650
Firstly just a matter of opinion that it just feels kind of stupid once you're getting to the point of beating up god-avatar-things.

Second is that nobody will be playing at level 20 or whenever it is.

The third is that at level 20 whatever, even goblins can still potentially be a threat.

The fourth is that this isn't 4e where you have fun by making a stupid strong enemy and beating them. Instead, I'd say it's more in 5e's style that you go off against a boss that has tricks under their sleeves that make up for the fact they aren't godly-strong alone, minions, lair effects, traps, simply getting the jump on the party or outwitting them.

I mean I'm mostly just joking around and you can make whatever monsters you like but seeing that sort of thing makes me think 'We're leaving the realm of sane humanoid-on-humanoid tactical combat and transcending into anime-tier bullshit'.
>>
>>51035672
But not so unsuitable that they wouldn't stat Tiamat or the Demon Lords, or perhaps future powerful entities.

5e with it's bounded accuracy, bounded statistics, legendary reaction mechanics and the like is actually well suited to delineate the wide gulf of power that separates the divine and lesser creatures.
>>
>>51035713

Not really, as Tiamat is probably still defeatable by a regiment of 500 bowmen or so.

Yes they can stat Demon Lords and the like, but they haven't really done it in a compelling, convincing manner that makes anyone say 'Wow these creatures could end the world.' when even a goblin has a 1 in 20 chance of dealing damage to them.
>>
>>51035737
Any instance of damage below 20 is ignored?
>>
>>51035698
D&D is replete with mortals beating up god-avatar things. Albeit with extreme difficulty on occasion.
This is an awesome accomplishment but you casually dismiss it out of hand as being stupid. Good for you I guess. You showed them.

Somebody will be playing at those levels, that blanket statement is not true.

>The fourth is that this isn't 4e where you have fun by making a stupid strong enemy and beating them. Instead, I'd say it's more in 5e's style that you go off against a boss that has tricks under their sleeves that make up for the fact they aren't godly-strong alone, minions, lair effects, traps, simply getting the jump on the party or outwitting them.
So? Now the boss actually has the power to back up their snide remarks, rather than ultimately revealing themselves to be little bitches.

D&D was never sane and involving just humanoid-on-humanoid tactical combat. Your thinking and reasoning is clearly flawed.
>>
>>51035698
>'We're leaving the realm of sane humanoid-on-humanoid tactical combat and transcending into anime-tier bullshit'.
What is it about D&D that strikes you as that?
What the fuck are you smoking?
>>
>>51035756

Now something like that would be helpful yes, and I plan on doing something similar with legendary characters and beasts in my own games.

But still, it's not really well suited to the edition. You're going to have to come up with a few new mechanics to make it work and have the XP costs and CR ratings be accurate, if you care about those.
>>
>>51035644
Cleric is great.
Forge is currently the best domain.
>>
>>51035737
So you don't have an issue then.
How is Tiamat probably defeatable by a regiment of bowmen?
She is immune to nonmagical and has regen 30.

That's just it, a god's avatar isn't a world-ending threat by itself, the physical form of the god might be but we aren't talking about that.
>>
>>51035778
Not really, just base the avatar's off Tiamat. Again you're thinking of the actual gods themselves which shouldn't have stats.
>>
>>51035698
>We're leaving the realm of sane humanoid-on-humanoid tactical combat and transcending into anime-tier bullshit'.
What the fuck? Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>51035804

No I'm not and don't confuse me with another nay-saying poster.

Basically, do it if you want, but you asked why it's a bad idea and I told you the problems with it. If you don't think that said reasons are a good enough reason to not do it, then great, do it anyway and hopefully it'll hold up.

You might be finding that you're going to Thordak yourself though.
>>
>have managed to get my normie friends to play different board games
>steadily getting into more complicated games
>broach the subject of dnd
>explain to them what it is
>they give me weird looks

I shouldn't have pushed...
>>
>>51035820
I've got some ideas about Lathander floating around, mostly also basing them off his shenanigans in avatar form. The guy was based as fuck.
The avatars in Faiths and Avatars and like supplements actually are great resources.
The problems are a non-issue when it comes down to it.
I just need to stop procrastinating.

>You might be finding that you're going to Thordak yourself though.
What the fuck does this mean?
>>
>>51035814
>>51035771
Well, the 'tactical' part of that was a mistake, remove that part.
>>
>>51035820
This isn't some Jurassic Park level shit.
>>
>>51035866

In the latest episode of Critical Role they finally faced down this big bad that they'd been running from the whole time; an Ancient Red Dragon powered by a crystal of pure fireplane bullshit.

...Turns out he wasn't much of a big deal anyway and a noticably dis-interested and over-tired cast wiped him without any issues, simply because of the ridiculous amount of attacks they all got in comparison to him, and at mid-high levels it's actually very difficult to miss.
>>
>>51035881
Consider the things in the Monster Manual and the fact it's called Dungeons and Dragons, humanoid on humanoid combat is still going to be at least uncommon in the grand scheme of things. Stop being autistic.
>>
File: 4 (2).png (10KB, 92x112px) Image search: [Google]
4 (2).png
10KB, 92x112px
Does Critical Role ever plan on starting fresh?

Or are we stuck in this power fantasy loop of infinitely undying and all powerful characters and no real sense of danger?

I really like the show, Matt is a fun DM and everyone gets really into it. But it could use a reset.
>>
>>51035921
pls no spoilers
>>
>>51035889
Hah, this is pretty sad.
Did Matt Mercer feel sorry for the party and go easy on them?
Did the ancient dragon get to use its Legendary Actions and Resistances?
Was the ancient dragon even unique?
>>
First time dm here. I need some opinions on how my first session should go down. I have a player who essentially wants to homebrew a one handed flail that essentially does 1d12, is heavy, and has a strength req of 18 which imposes disadvantage if you don't meet it.

I've told him that he can wield it with both hands for 1d12 otherwise it would do 1d10 but I'm still not sure if that's a good idea. In any case I was thinking of rounding up the party as prisoners, stripped of their equipment, and they must work together to escape and possibly find their equipment again if they manage to find it at all.

I have other ideas but I would like to hear some from anon first.
>>
>>51035921
With all the relationship stuff going on, they could easily just start playing as the children of Vox Machina

>Ranger with a gun
>The little boy Vax had wanted to train before
>Little sneaky druid child
>Scanlans daughter
Really only need a few more, since Pike is MIA 90% of the time, and pretty much isn't a contributor, and Grog is Grog, and Travis doesn't get into the melodrama romcom bullshit.
>>
>>51035988
Something like that could totally work. They don't necessarily have to be actual lolis children though.

Just starting at level 1 would breathe some fresh air into the series. They just DECIMATE everything in their path at this point.
>>
>>51035965
I don't think Matt has been willing/able to rescale encounters for the sheer number of high level players he has.
Throw an ancient green dragon and a ship shooting Thordark on top of them, and no monster resembling anything from the MM, even buffed up, would stand a chance. Thordak needed summons, better actions than dragons normally get, and more to have any chance at all.
>>51036004
Oh, i definitely meant as adults, maybe young adults, but not literal children, just their offspring and friends.
>>
>>51035644
I once played an Elven cleric with the observant feat

>Dat passive 22 perception
>WHAT DO YOUR ELVEN EYES SEE??
>>
What's a good monster creator bros?
>>
>>51036021
>I don't think Matt has been willing/able to rescale encounters for the sheer number of high level players he has.
This does need to be fixed.
What's the point of a combat if there's no sense of danger? It just gets boring otherwise.
>>
>>51035981
Don't give heavy to a one handed weapon
>>
>>51036053
>This does need to be fixed.
>What's the point of a combat if there's no sense of danger? It just gets boring otherwise.
It's just one of several issues contributing to that fact.
Obviously, at the level they are at, permadeath is going to be rare, so its good that there is a chance of failure in resurrection, it ups the stakes from null. Problem with it, it was scaled to be relevant early on, when people could actually fail their rolls fairly easily. Scaling issue.
He also has a tendency to have primarily big, "boss" style encounters, because its the style of story it is. Most of the stakes are personal, and when they aren't, Thordak, they still tend to be one BBEG, with maybe a few nameless weaklings. Matt tried to bring in a Fire Giant, a good idea, but having it enter late, AND be alone, just entirely made it pointless.
Perhaps the single biggest contributor though, is the homebrew rule allowing bonus action spell casts. It means that almost every single round, 1-3 healing spells is cast, essentially for free, so a character dropping to 0, barely means anything.
Lastly, Matt seems to have a major issue with not playing enemies well in combat. He gives them character and powers, but he fails to be creative or tactical with them, even when they really should be. He pulls his punches for the show, and that hurts it.
>>
>>51035981
Yeah that weapon is some OP munchkin shit, if it's meant to just be a mundane weapon
>>
Now that the Revised Ranger has been out for a while what are everyone's thoughts on it? Have you guys played it yet? Hunter and Deep Stlker Conclave look pretty cool.
>>
>>51036109
>Perhaps the single biggest contributor though, is the homebrew rule allowing bonus action spell casts. It means that almost every single round, 1-3 healing spells is cast, essentially for free, so a character dropping to 0, barely means anything.
This is bullshit, but to each their own.

>Lastly, Matt seems to have a major issue with not playing enemies well in combat. He gives them character and powers, but he fails to be creative or tactical with them, even when they really should be. He pulls his punches for the show, and that hurts it.
What's the point of this? Do his enemies even use their Legendary Actions? Are the enemies all retards?
It sounds like a snoozefest really.
>>
>>51036109
This doesn't inspire me to watch it.
>>
>>51035981
Tell him it's your first time DMing and you're not comfortable enough to balance homebrew stuff
>>
>>51036109
>is the homebrew rule allowing bonus action spell casts.
You mean removing the "only one spell per turn" rule, meaning you can cast healing word (bonus action) and cure wounds (action) on the same turn?
>>
>>51035981
He want to get +2 AC from shield and highest damage dice.
>>
>>51036163
>Do his enemies even use their Legendary Actions?
Sure, but a single creature using them still won't be able to fight the 6+ high level characters. Maybe if you doubled the actions per turn, but they still aren't nearly as strong as the creatures normal turn.
The fights rarely have teeth to them, the closest death calls are either not entirely combat related, or because they vastly underestimate an enemy.
>literal instant death trap
>cursed sword
>"weak" enemy casting finger of death
One of the shows best fights was when they hunted down the only other gun user in the world, and she had armerd her men with them. They fucked up the gunslinger of the party (Percy) and he died. OOC he actually didn't mind it happening, but when one character confessed love, he decided it would make sense to stick around with him.
>>51036187
Yes, its not gone entirely, limited to level 2 and below spells for one of them, but that limitation is negligible, and since only 2 people of 6 don't have healing word, no one ever stays down.
>>51036174
If you want whats good, Travis is hilarious, not in a lolrandumb way, but he plays the fairly stupid barbarian fantastically. Personal favorite moment, after the party kept bitching about his SMASH FIRST attitude, he tried to talk it out with some Fae and got himself petrified. He, the player, Travis, didn't move for a long damned time, at least 5 minutes.
>>
>>51036116
He calls it a dire flail. I'm not one to be a total kill joy but I am planning on taking away some of the party's equipment. They all start at level 3 lol
>>
>>51036240
It's fucking bullshit. If you want a one-handed weapon it's d8. If you want a heavy two-handed weapon then you get 1d12 or 2d6.
>>
>>51036240
It's literally just a player trying to push for an overpowered weapon.
He is literally wanting to use a Maul, but lighter, and one handed. It is PURE minmax faggotry trying to push your limits.
>>
>>51036174

Well we're not here as advertisement. That said, despite the problems with the latest fight (and, actually their fights in general aside from that excellent Gunslinger fight) it is a great show from a roleplaying and worldbuilding aspect, and has a good atmosphere to it.

But yeah, at least lately, the fights have been an issue from just how *good* the players are. It was a bit sad when Travis was the only one actually still pumped when an NPC they all liked dealt 100+ damage to the dragon.
>>
>>51036240

If he wants it, then make it cursed in some fashion. 'Needs 18 str to wield' isn't a downside if you have 18 strength.

...Infact, make it as he likes, but say he needs 21 Str to wield it like that, or otherwise it's as the other posters say. And BAM, there you go! Instant personal quest for more strength.
>>
>>51036266
next thing you know, he will try to dual wield it.
>>
>>51036240
Then allow it and then strip away his equipment. Then make the BBEG fall in love with his OP weapon and take it away for himself. Make it BBEG bond weapon or some shit too, so it melt away when he finally kill the guy.
>>
>>51036240
Flail is already a weapon that exists in the PHB
He probably saw "1d8" and thought it wasn't fair his special snowflake build couldn't do as much damage as someone with a greataxe
>>
>>51036259
Which is why I am really in need of opinions on how to start the campaign.

Originally I was going to plan to have everyone get captured for a certain ritual, where they would be stripped of equipment and must find a way to escape using improvised weapons or whatever they find. They will also have the opportunity to find all of their equipment again which happen to be on a cart outside of the crypt ready to be sent off with a band of lowly bandits.

I think I might just do that and see where it goes. I didn't want to flat out say "you get a regular flail instead"
>>51036295
I might actually make it cursed. But I don't know if that would be a little bit passive aggressive of me. What would be some good curses?
>>
>>51036361
The other option i can really see here is to make it a literal Large Sized flail, something he would have had specially made, or take from a large humanoid

>Big monsters typically wield oversized weapons that deal extra dice of damage on a hit. Double the weapon dice if the creature is Large, triple the weapon dice if the creature is Huge, quadruple the weapon dice if it's Gargantuan.

>A creature has disadvantage on attack rolls with a weapon that is sized for a larger attacker. You can rule that a weapon sized for an attacker two or more sizes larger is too big for the creature to use at all.

Making it a 2d8 flail, that he would always use at disadvantage.
>>
>>51036361
Make it cast level 1 heat metal on itself every time it makes contact with someone other than him
Burning himself and the target
>>
How would I go about creating a Conjuring 2 type game?
I want to fucking terrify the players (no nudity or retarded suggestions please).
>>
>>51036343
I thought so too. I immediately gave him that speech of how it wouldn't make sense if you have to wield a great axe with two hands to do 1d12 damage but his flail would do 1d12 in one hand. I also hinted that an 18 strength requirement doesn't really matter much if he already has 18 strength and he argued that I could simply use elements that impose disadvantage anyway. But I really like
>>51036324
idea
>>
>>51036397
>no nudity or retarded suggestions please

Is this ironic?
>>
>>51036402
Have you considered being an adult and saying no instead
>>
>>51036402
Taking a persons equipment is a sketchy proposal at the best of times, doing so to remedy a mistake is particularly bad.

Doing it here is purely passive aggressive and more sure to cause hard feelings than simply telling him "no" ever would.
>>
>>51036397
When it comes to the theater of the mind, whether that be audio, literature or role playing people generally just quit if it gets legitimately terrifying for them
The reason is that in order for that to happen you have to make them imagine something they don't want to
and that generally comes across as distasteful
>>
>>51036361

Stick it to his hand, so he must always, ALWAYS hold the flail.

Or maybe if he puts the flail away it starts to rust horribly, so he has to have it in-hand for that reason or risk his special flail turning to shit in the span of an hour.
>>
>>51036408
Are you a fucking autistic retard?
>>
>>51036473

But to add onto this, well, probably best just to say 'no' if you're not comfortable with it.

Me, I would just roll with it and try and make something interesting out of the situation. If you want to do that too, just be clear that he's not getting anything for free, and there are always consequences.
>>
>>51036449

This. Say 'no' or find a better way to do the trade-off. Maybe his flail is semi-sentient and hates being used with other martial equipment, so he has to make a CHA save or throw any weapon or shield he holds with his other hand away from him.
>>
>>51036380
That is actually a really great idea

>>51036415
Thing is I told him no once and he insisted.
>>
>>51036490
Tell him what a +1 flail would be like
and then tell him how rare magic items are
that should tell him more or less why he can't have his fancy weapon off the bat
>>
>>51031970
Blasts fools with lightning and shit
>>
Can you cast Viscous Mockery with telepathy instead of voice if for example you're a GOO lock with a tome?
also recommend a cantrip list for me, i'm level 3 and want eldrich blast but don't plan on taking any invocations for it yet
>>
>>51036408
Are you legitimately autistic?
>>
>>51036545
No.
>>
>>51036475
>>51036549
Are you being ironic?
>>
>>51035866
This puts the fear of ultimate death into the entities of the world, the PCs included.
I love it.
>>
>>51036397
>no nudity

I'm glad that my barbarian can viciously cleave people into several different pieces, wearing their viscera upon his well oiled skin, but I'm protected from titties.
>>
>>51036545
Why would you want to use vicious mockery when you could use fog? Literally the best tool ever if you want to automatically impose disadvantage.
>>
>>51036507
Heh... Since you can't enchant weapon into magic item in 5e...

wouldn't his special snowflake weapon remain mundane forever?
>>
>>51036618
Are you the same three-chinned corpulent retard who kept saying the same thing in the passive aggression thread? That thread was fucking sad but hilarious.
>>
>>51036648
Nice imagery. Conan would be proud.
>>
>>51036649
Fog does no damage.
PC in the fog are also blind. So they give opponent advantage when attacked. Which cancel enemy's disadvantage.
>>
>>51036652
I don't understand what you're speaking of. Is this some advanced form of irony?
>>
>>51035319
>the true me

What kind of queer imagines his character as himself?
>>
>>51036649
Because it's not a cantrip, and I'm a warlock
So I can't use fog without multiclassing
>>
>>51035866
Lathander fucks up evil something fierce but he's also a colossal douche.
>>
>>51036687
Is it actually possible for you to stop being this autistic and retarded?
>>
>>51036748
I'm really not understanding what you want. Are you sure you're not being ironic?
>>
Should I take Lucky, Tough, or +2 charisma on my level 12 paladin?
>>
>>51036748
>>51036755

Christ, both of you just STOP already.

Especially you, autist/retard man.
>>
>>51036795
No worries bro.
>>
>>51036787
+2 Charisma. More saving throw for everyone.
>>
>>51036787
Tough is meh, Lucky is strong, but i'd go with +2 charisma unless your character concept fits with Lucky really well.
>>
>>51036795
>>51036811
I just want to know if you're all being ironic. Why is this so difficult?
>>
>>51036787

That depends, what's your character like, anon?
>>
>>51030617
It's a little late for this response but I figured I'd post it anyways

There's an unarmed fighter PDF posted in the DMG called the Pugilist. It's pretty fun and is perfectly catered to what you're trying to do. It's a bit like taking monk and fighter and rolling them into one. I highly recommend trying it out
>>
>monks don't fit the "feel" of DnD
>bards do
>>
File: 1483583970292.gif (2MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1483583970292.gif
2MB, 360x240px
>>51036866
>>
>>51036881
I respectfully disagree, i find that its over-designed, fails to occupy a niche, and is the epitome of refusing to refluff or take mechanical power loss for character concepts.
>>
>>51036899
>refusing to take mechanical power loss for character concepts
>a bad thing

I guess if you're a cuckold?
>>
>>51036907
/pol/ leave

>i want my character to be half an inch tall but I don't want a penalty in STR
>>
>>51036878
Any of them work flavour-wise.

They're a sword and board oath of vengeance paladin. My job is to deal heavy single target damage while keeping auras up.
>>
>>51036907
>>51036956
>Hey i'm just wondering if I can be a halfling or gnome, but I want to be able to use heavy weapons efficiently
>>
>>51036907
If your character concept is
>i wanna hit people, but not use any metaphysical power source, inner or outer
and yet want to be on par with the people using the more standard, and balanced around, options, its either going to take a great deal of work, refluffing existing options, or willingness to use sub-optimal options.
If your choice is option 1, and then you go and make something more extensive, stronger, or "better" than existing default options, then it shows that you not only want a unique choice, but a mechanically beneficial one as well.
Being a fighter with Tavern Brawler is weaker but fits the concept. Most DMs will throw you a bone, and either let you refluff a specific weapon as knuckles, or let you design a unique fighting style. Going a step further, you can co-design a unique archetype, perhaps including the martial arts damage into it.
Pugilist didn't need to be a class. It didn't need to be over-filled with features. It didn't need to compete in nearly every way with top martial options. It does anyway.
>>
>Died 4 times to coup de grace
>No one else has ever been coup de graced
I'm sure I've done something to piss off my DM
>>
>>51037018
What kind of enemies? Were you a healer?
>>
>>51036964

Go for Tough then.
>>
>>51037032
Undead, beasts and humanoids, and no
>>
File: zUwqrhM.png (513KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
zUwqrhM.png
513KB, 1280x720px
>>51036956
>>51036980
>>51036987
>when cuck party members sacrifice their character effectiveness and get rekted while my lucky halfling diviner laughs
>>
>>51037076
>having party members
I actually HAVE an ongoing game level 12, started at 1
>>
>>51037076
>admitting to powergaming
>ever
>>
File: bait.png (181KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
181KB, 625x626px
>>51037076
>>
>>51037061
Thanks. That's the one I was leaning towards already.
>>
Would you ever have the BBEG switch your PC's bodies around, forcing them to in and out of character explain their characters' abilities to each other?
>>
>>51037073
Well eh. I could see an intelligent creature coup de gracing if it made sense for them. But beasts? They'd just go for whoever's a threat. Or, if they had enough time unharassed, would just eat the body, same as an undead.
>>
>>51036157
>>51036157
Came here to ask this, I'm rolling one soon and I heard base ranger was total dogshit.
>>
File: red sonja.jpg (87KB, 591x894px) Image search: [Google]
red sonja.jpg
87KB, 591x894px
>D&D last night, go on my red sonja barbarian lady
>at the 2nd to last fight against some gargoyles, go reckless attack, attack with advantage against a gargoyle
>double 1's
oh man that really sucks, gods must really not want me to hit
>ruled my greatsword is stuck in the gargoyle
>decide fine, pull out my battleaxe, attack again with advantage (i had 2 attacks)
>1
wtf THREE 1's in a row, jesus
>1
>literally some stunned silence, guy across from me immediately goes to his calculator
>i had 1 in 160,000 chance of that rolling four consecutive 1s, i should have played the lottery today
>tell DM my character is really pissed now, goes into rage and tell him rather than just pull the sword out, i lift the sword and the gargoyle on it (which had been killed by someone else's attack and the body is now on fire) and just attack with the whole heap (was also totem barbarian all the way through of the bear)
>lets me do 2d6 greatsword and 2d6 fire damage
>hit and crit
>fucking obliterate the next gargoyle from full to 0, destroys the body on my sword in the process

it was an interesting night
>>
>>51037216
I think an issue with this is a lot of people will claim their power comes from technique and so the only thing that will really be kept is str/dex/con, racial bonuses and sorcerer powers
it's likely that warlock powers will stick with the body too
Could still be a laugh, stick the druid in the iron clad fighter's body and see how long it takes for them to strip off the armor and discard the weapons
>>
>>51036157
>>51037248
Revised ranger seems fine
>>
Does using a magic object count as 'cast a spell' and break Invisibility?
>>
>>51037280
>I'll take Things That Never Happened for 200, Alex
>>
>>51037289
If the object casts a spell
>>
>>51036157
I had one session with the two rangers playing right beside each other
even at level one it was pretty clear revised is much stronger
>>
>>51037300
actually it did happen, i been playing D&D for 18 years and nobody, NOBODY has ever rolled quad numbers, I seen triples a few times but never quads
>>
>>51037220
>>51037073
I'll voice what I've said before of it.

Tactical and intelligent creatures should often finish off downed creatures once its demonstrated that otherwise they stand back up, aka if you have a healer waking them up.

Additionally, certain forms of undead, particularly the more basic types, might simply continue to kill unless otherwise interfered with.

Unintelligent creatures, such as still controlled undead or constructs, may well be instructed specifically to kill enemies, simply based on the wishes and wording of their creator/controller. Similarly, creatures defending a specific location, such as golems or non-mobile or sentient plant beings, may just keep on swatting those nearest them.

Particularly cruel beings, such as specific demons or black dragons, will finish off an enemy to shock their enemies.

Assassins and those seeking vengeance may kill their target, and cowardly creatures, such as some kobolds or goblins, may choose to just stab the guy on the ground in front of them instead of the scary group of enemies a bit beyond.

Certain beings may feel so unthreatened by the party as a unit, that killing an individual may seem the first step in killing them all.

Some creatures may value specific individuals, wounding or knocking them unconcious, yet find others unvaluable, and may finish them off while leaving others alive. Some examples would be Illithids, which may feed on or destroy people they don't want as slaves, or Beholders, which may disintegrate those they dislike or don't want.
>>
>>51035644
Clerics are good, would probably recommend either life for efficient heals, war if you secretly want to be a paladin or knowledge if you like wizards but want to actually wear armour into battle.
>>
>>51030617
There was a brawler barbarian path created by some anon a while back, it was much better than anything else I've seen
>>
>>51036897
Bards fit the stereotypical British/European medieval fantasy+crazy bananas mythology from everywhere setting pretty nicely, whereas for some reason they insist on making the monks !notasian men from far off lands. If they just made them more like friars they'd feel like they fit, but monks are specifically designed to be oddballs.
>>
>Fighter with Great Weapon fighting style and Greater Weapon fighting feat
>Lorne Cieran elite knight extraordinaire, kicks ass and takes names
>Was on a convoy of four other knights escorting a diplomat
>Get ambushed by assassins. Explosions and smoke bombs everywhere.
>Cart topples over and traps Lorne, knocking him out
>Assassins leave no survivors
>Wake up to discover the horror of what happened, badly injured, burned and scarred, picks up an onyx arrow supposedly from the assassins, heads towards a nearby village and passes out
>Gets treated for injuries and vows vengeance on whoever responsible and vows to redeem his honour for failing his mission and his brothers
>Eventually meets a contact who provides him with information about a magically enchanted coin that contains the information he was looking for, stolen by one of the other PC's, Lorne meets party and heads towards the capital after accessing the coin and learning of a greater plot to kill the Magistrate
>Enter the capital, Lorne quickly makes off to the guard house where his fellow knights are stationed and has an awkward conversation with his captain, before being surrounded by 5 armed knights
>"Brothers.... You know me well... You will die if you stay in this room. I give you but one chance to leave alive.
>Failed intimidate roll, only one knight crit failed and shat his pants
>PROMPTLY SLAUGHTER THEM ALL TAKING -5 PENALTY BUT DEALING 22+ DAMAGE AND BONUS ATTACKS

Then there was that one time Lorne solod a huge T-Rex with the Sentinel feat and evasive maneuvers. That was fun.
>>
>>51036897
>Väinämönen was a bard
>also the inspiration for literally the most famous wizard in all of D&D lore
>>
>>51037560
That is exactly how you play a fighter. Good job
>>
>>51032157

>Full healer bard

Just get Healing Word, Cure Wounds, and Aura of Vitality at level 6

But to be frank, MC with Cleric a great option, specifically, the knowledge cleric
Extra proficencies, guidance cantrip, heavy armor, just fuck my shit m8
>>
New thread when
>>
>>51038042
do it yourself faggot.
>>
File: 2016-05-02 14.06.34.png (2MB, 1080x1467px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-02 14.06.34.png
2MB, 1080x1467px
>>51037434
You mean this one? I remember he made some changes but I never saved the updated version, does anyone have it?
>>
Character raised by oni using some sort of club-like weapon, LN.

Kensai or a style of Barbarian?
I'm just spitballing potential character ideas here
>>
>>51038142
>skill proficiency at level 10

Am I hallucinating or does no class in the book grant skill proficiencies after first level?
>>
>>51038332
UA does, at least
>>
>>51038332
Closest thing would be some archetypes granting tool proficiencies but not a skill AFAIK
Maybe mastermind rogue? I forget
>>
>>51038215
LN oni? Wut

I would say barbarian with maul, but def not LN
>>
>>51038488
Oni are LE, I thought it was fair enough a change.
Not necessarily an actual oni, but a non-oni raised by them because reasons.
>>
>>51038503
Oh right, forgot in D&D Oni are devils not demons
>>
>>51038606
They're neither. They're not fiends of any kind. They're ogre mages.
>>
>>51038332
Lore bard gets 3 at level 3
Warlock has an invocation for a couple
>>
>>51035235
What part of armor calculations not stacking do you not get?
>>
>>51038798
The part where that's not an AC calculation, anon's interpretation is RAW which tells you that the wording should be improved.
>>
>>51038798
What part of "you can add your constitution modifier instead of your dexterity modifier" do you not understand?
>>
>>51039148
>>51039148
>>51039148
>>51039148
>>51039148
Thread posts: 409
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.