[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 405
Thread images: 53

File: a big guy.png (557KB, 410x680px) Image search: [Google]
a big guy.png
557KB, 410x680px
>Latest News
No UA until January 9
Paladin UA http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on Monks http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Thread: >>51012934

What are your expectations for the next UA? Surely it's going to be impressive because it took so long, right?
>>
File: 1475148862888.jpg (114KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475148862888.jpg
114KB, 900x720px
> Ranger UA
I don't expect great things.
>>
>>51021138
I thought they were skipping Ranger, that's why they didn't do one on Monday?
>>
File: peasants.jpg (16KB, 342x246px) Image search: [Google]
peasants.jpg
16KB, 342x246px
Got a question for you Bros.

I'm kicking off a short (7-10 session) campaign tonight, and I'm wanting to give it a heavy fairy tale flavor to it. Beyond the greater story about the party needing to save a princess from a dragon, I'm trying to cook up some smaller fairy tale themed encounters. The party is going to have to travel through a really large, haunted forest (appropriately called the Grimmswood) So there's plenty of opportunity for encounters in there.

So far I've got a long bridge with a troll living underneath it, and a trio of Hill Giants arguing about who should be chief. Maybe a witches house that either has legs baba yaga style, or is made of delicious edible material a la Hansel and Gretel.

You Gents have any other ideas?
>>
>>51021101
>What are your expectations for the next UA? Surely it's going to be impressive because it took so long, right?

I will be written half-assed on the morning it's supposed to release. Mike Mearls is a lazy fuck. Of course it will be about the poor ranger too.
>>
File: Vvulf.png (980KB, 1244x632px) Image search: [Google]
Vvulf.png
980KB, 1244x632px
>>51021175
Big Bad Wolf. He huffs, he puffs and blows houses down.
>>
File: Flumph3.jpg (85KB, 511x527px) Image search: [Google]
Flumph3.jpg
85KB, 511x527px
Asked this last night, but it was in a dying thread:

I'm thinking of putting a collection of monsters up on the DM's guild (for free, or almost nothing), because I'm bored and like making monsters. I've got a lot of ideas, but they're pretty easy to modify, mechanically so: what do people actually want? What sort of CR ranges, what types, do people like things with weird weaknesses or not?
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 763x686px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 763x686px
Would you let a player take a Homunculus as a Familiar? If not is there any official rules on the creation of one?
>>
>>51021241
low CR ranges are what are most likely to be used

high CR ranges are what will most likely make someone say "oh this looks cool"

It helps to have them connected in some way. Doesn't have to be a way to connect all of them, but a grouping of 4-6, from grunts to a spellcaster alt version to a leader type.

"Pay what you want" seems to be a good option for the type of thing you want to do. Free if someone just wants to look at it, and they can come back and pay later if they appreciate the content.
>>
>>51021241
Thematically-linked creatures are good. They don't have to be biologically linked, but it's nice to see a creature and its typical minions together. Volo's did a great job of linking the monsters together to give DMs who don't know the history of said monsters a way to create group encounters.

Stuff in the CR 5 to 11 range is the most useful to the largest number of people IMO. They're low enough to be solo or small encounters for low level groups but high enough to be used en masse in a high level campaign.

Weird weaknesses are ok as long as the creature can still die conventionally.
>>
>>51021138
Wizards should just remove ranger as a class in future editions. It's a fighter subclass or background feature at most.
>>
>>51021201
yeah, I'm looking at incorporating some kind of unkillable direwolf as well.
>>
The OP image reminds me, anyone have a better alternative to the Goliath racial traits? As they stand, they range from nearly useless to utterly pointless.

I was thinking replace the high altitude thing with a climb speed or at least make it so climbing doesn't cut speed. Maybe replace the athletics proficiency wth insight (or make that a sub race choice). The large size fit pushing is nearly useless, but what if it A. Counted you as large for grapples and shove actions, B Just gave advantage on the defense against them, C allowed you to use the versatile profile of a weapon one handed, but no additional bonus for two handing them. That way great swords axes and mauls still had a purpose. Or D some combination of the previous.
>>
>>51021410
Don't make thing unkillable.

You player will see it as a challenge and try to kill it, exploit it or just throw themselves at it. It will derail the session.
>>
>>51021415
Strong Build is incredibly useful if your DM actually lets you use it.

For reference, a 16 STR, so safely level 1, Goliath can lift and carry 480 lbs without even exerting themselves, and can push 960 lbs without much effort either.

So a 16 STR Goliath can lift and carry most Medium creatures without any effort at all, and could in theory throw them around like ragdolls into stage hazards.

A level 20 Goliath Barbarian can lift 720 lbs without needing a check and easily carry that around without exerting themselves.
>>
>>51021175

I know it's not very fairy tale-ish, but maybe you could throw a skinwalker/evil doppelganger. Something masquerading as granger person to lure the PC's into a trap where they'll get eaten.
>>
>>51021287
Yea, i would just reskin the Pseudo-dragon that the Warlock can use.
>>
>>51021346
If we go that way we should remove all classes and leave fightingman and magemate
>>
>>51021101
I'm expecting the Courtesan Rogue, and I'm expecting it to try to balance between being about sex and not mentioning sex and failing hilariously.

>>51020950
As someone who played Warlock 1-13, this is actually 100% accurate. Without changing up the rest rules, almost nobody ever takes a short (1 hour) rest in the middle of an adventuring day, so you have to get the absolute most out of every single slot. That usually means Hex.
>>
>>51021508
I should probably have mentioned for a non-warlock class, though I suppose technically there's no reason they couldn't have one as a familiar without the Warlock bonuses they get.
>>
>>51021516
Are you sure you're doing it right?

You can only benefit from Long Rest once per day. The party is suppose to fight 4-5 encounter per day. Usually a mix of Hard and Deadly encounter.
>>
>>51021415
Like >>51021497 said, if you use encumbrance rules Strong Build is already fantastic, especially considering the surprisingly heavy weight of starting packages.

Also, +2 strength is a pretty decent feature. Very few races have +2 to a primary attacking stat, and they don't typically have too much else.

Except those dirty elves and uncultured mountain dwarves, but I'm not counting fanboy races.

>>51021530
Of course there's a reason. Find Familiar only lets you take tiny beasts (reskinned as celestials/fey/fiend), not badass pseudodragons.

>>51021548
How often do you take more than a single 1-hour rest during a dungeon crawl?
>>
>>51021516
>almost nobody ever takes a short (1 hour) rest in the middle of an adventuring day
Your experience is not everyone else's experience. Hex is downright weak compared to what a warlock can do at higher levels, and the "Hex or nothing" mentality contributes to the perception of warlock as bottom-tier shit.
>>
>>51021530
Have his Homunculus start out like a regular familiar, like a bat or something, and give him a quest/adventure hook to improve it with some kind of magical infusion so make it better. I mean, is he's really into this familiar and wants to make it important to his character i'd go so far as to have the thing Digivolve over time and be akin to the Revised Ranger beast companion at some point.
>>
I'm about to run a sandbox homebrew for some first time players.
>I have a secret plan that I can't tell you
>You won't be able to stop me
>>
>>51021485
I mean unkillable in the sense that after it's corporeal form is felled, it reforms after a short while from the fear the kingdom has of it.
>>
>>51021415
The goliath is perfectly fine and in line with most other races. They are great at doing what they do, and that is being half-naked mountain jocks that can lift heavy shit

Most grapplers I make are goliaths
>>
>>51021500
yeah, maybe. I'm trying to find things that have direct ties to well known, or at least established, fairy tales.
>>
>>51021299
>>51021334
Cool, I'll try to give things a weak, middling and strong form where it makes sense to do so. (Or an "add these features to make it harder" block at the end)

One more question: plants. Like, not plant-themed monsters but non-mobile but still fantastic plants (or fungi, sponges, corals, algae). Does anyone else care about them?
>>
>>51021201
Make them run from the wolf into the witch house. They have 3 turns until the wolf blows the house down. If they fail to escape, make the witch appears, get mad and fight the wolf so the PC can run.
>>
>>51021516
My group is 2 warlocks, a moon druid, and a battlemaster fighter. With me as a Wizard. We short rest all the time. We usually short rest after every fight in the dungeon.

>clear a room of baddies. Close doors to room. Rest for an hour. Proceed.

The druid even stays in Wildshape while resting. We're level 4, so he can stay Wildshaped for 2 hours. Battles and walking around a dungeon don't accumulate to an hour by the time the warlocks use their spell slots.

What I would like is a long rest...I haven't slept in days!
>>
Asking again. Does anyone have that cool Mind Flayer armor concept art that was going around here a few weeks ago? It was very Giger-esque.
>>
File: fey birds.png (134KB, 518x665px) Image search: [Google]
fey birds.png
134KB, 518x665px
>>51021564
mechanically speaking sure, but it's right in the book that they don't necessarily only pact with Warlocks.

Here's some birb familiars, since I'm still undecided on what I want to go with.

>>51021588
The reason I was considering a Familiar in the first place is backstory related already, and the character is a UA Ranger, I'm just undecided on what kind of critter to use for it. As of now it's boiled down to Owl, Raven, or Homonculus.

Owl seems to be the best scout with Darkvision 120 feet, however Raven's Mimicry would be good for giving basic commands to doggo from far away. Homunculus is mainly just as a flavor idea, I might just make my own and use the Owl statblock.
>>
>>51021640
Pretty sure no long rest should result in exhaustion levels...
>>
File: tMBp4Uo.jpg (304KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
tMBp4Uo.jpg
304KB, 500x572px
>>51021660
>Pretty sure no long rest should result in exhaustion levels...
Pretty sure that would involve reading the rulebooks.
>>
>>51021582
If someone's party takes 4 hours of short rests in a single day on a regular basis, I'd be genuinely surprised. Traveling makes it a huge waste of time, and dungeon exploration doesn't tend to provide the opportunity. I think that the warlock was designed with 4e-style 5-minute short rests and they just figured they're not gonna alter it when they made rests longer.
I think hex is actually an amazingly strong spell when combined with EB+invocations, and the warlock really doesn't get better offensive options until he starts getting his mystics arcanums anyway. But I admit I wasn't clear - I meant that the warlock shouldn't use spell slots on spells other than hex during fights.
The warlock has some truly excellent utility spells like charm person, comprehend languages, suggestion, fly, magic circle, dream, and many more. And he should be using them a lot... on days that include little to no combat.

>>51021640
What sort of dungeon has no patrols and rooms where you can murder everyone without anybody else noticing for a whole hour? Genuine question.

>>51021657
It says they don't only pact with warlocks but that doesn't mean Find Familiar gets them. It means the DM can feel like giving a pseudodragon to any player, and can also take it away.
>>
>>51021657
Wait. So the character is a UA Beastmaster and he's taking an owl, a raven or a homonculus?

That's pretty shitty.
>>
>>51021592
>>51021564
>>51021497
I guess you are right. I think my biggest problem is that the altitude thing is nearly useless.

Anyone know what Matt Mercer did to port Goliath to 5e cause I think he did it before there were official rules. I could be wrong though.
>>
>>51021613
I'll usually forget to use them, but they're a great way to make the party approach an area differently.
>>
I don't know if this would be the right thread, but a while ago I seen a 3d dungeon generator system. they showcased it with gifs of rolling dice at a goblin mini, but I can't remember its name.
>>
>>51021683
>I meant that the warlock shouldn't use spell slots on spells other than hex during fights.
Yes, I think you're wrong on that point. 1d6 extra damage on 2-3 blasts isn't jack shit compared to removing a creature's ability to fight. Start thinking of party resources instead of just your own.

You don't need 4 hours of short rests in a day. 2 would suffice.
>>
>>51021691
No I mean in addition to the beast.

The character in question has a Dire Wolf, so I need some way to communicate with them without being in LOS since most inns don't let a fucking horse-size wolf in it regardless of how well trained it is.

As of now the options are Raven so it can speak basic commands, or an Owl that would have to get by with pecking the doggo in the ear to get it's attention, and if it's an emergency they can cast Beast Bond since it has a range of Touch.
>>
>>51021729
I agree only partially. If the warlock is the only "caster" in the party, then yes, he should focus on disables. But since the class was never meant to be a wizard alternative but rather a rogue alternative, it should usually find itself in a party with a wizard or cleric who are much better at CC than it is. EB+Agonizing+Repelling+Hex is so filthy that it's a shame to waste it if you don't have to.
2 hours of rest is more reasonable, at least during overland travel. Still probably won't happen during dungeon delves, but I guess that's something.
>>
>>51021564
>>51021592
What about a replacement for that stupid d12 daily. Would it be too much to make it short rest and a d6 potentially with no con bonus? Or maybe just short rest and it's flat con bonus.
>>
>>51021138
why, the last ranger update was awesome. I'd be more worried simply by the dodgy performance of the UAs so far rather than the fact that it's centered on the ranger specifically.
>>
>>51021564
Depend on the dungeon. Usually 1 or 2, But that didn't account for an encounter you should have face while traveling to the dungeon.
>>
How many PC deaths per session do you prefer?

How many TPKs per session?

Additionally, whether you're a player, DM, etc might give interesting context to your opinions.

Convert "per session" however you feel appropriate for the number you come up with. IE, maybe you like one PC death around every session, or only around every ten sessions. Maybe you don't like TPKs to happen at all / extremely infrequently, or maybe you're a meatgrinder DM and your group likes to make new characters every other week.

I ask this because my group has never completed a campaign. We have a character death every 5-6 sessions maybe, and a TPK maybe every ten. I'm curious whether this is typical or not.

This isn't some rant about the DM killing characters off or whatever, I'm just curious where your ideal risk preference lies. I got thinking about this after considering that many modern video games are only hard enough that you die once or twice over the entire game, with individual encounters only rarely even being dangerous.
>>
>>51021695
Grog is a regular 5e goliath
>>
>>51021779
An Archfey warlock can concentrate on Faerie Fire. Advantage on multiple targets is going to lead to more offense than Hex.

A party can coordinate with a GOO warlock to surround an enemy and he can cast Dissonant Whispers to setup multiple opportunity attacks.

A Fiend warlock does not have to concentrate on Blindness/Deafness, and the advantage granted by that spell (on multiple targets at level 5 and beyond) is an offensive boon. If he piles on a Fireball with the wizard's Fireball, the mooks of a fight might get wiped out before they can attack anyone, saving hit points and other resources the party might have had to expend.

It's not about just CC, it's about thinking of what the party spends because the warlock thinks Hex is the only worthwhile combat spell.
>>
>>51021792
Ask your DM I guess? Though if you were to ask me the answer would be no
>>
>>51021683
>What sort of dungeon has no patrols and rooms where you can murder everyone without anybody else noticing for a whole hour? Genuine question.

A dungeon that doesn't have alot of badguys in it. Additionally the badguys were mostly just "monsters" hanging out here. No centralized concept of enemies here.

These were the encounters
>Room with pillars, magic negated in room, leaving through the east exit caused the pillars to come to spawn Stone Swordsmen.
>Mimic as a Mirror
>Locked room with Drow in it, who had clearly been trapped in there for a long ass time, as per the DM's description of them being malnourished and shit.
>Beholder hiding in magical darkness that it can see out of but we obviously cant see into
>Walking across a tight-rope bridge and having the ceiling be covered in Dark Mantles that can fall on us
>Floating Skeleton arms emerge out of a pool of what seems to be oil
>Some kind of long armed creature that was real good at grappling pulled my character into a hole.

Then we went and fought the boss who was some guy performing a ritual. He turned into somekind of half man half beholder thing. This was all in the ruins of the old city which was under the secret city of political rebels, which was under the main city.
>>
>>51021683
> Dungeon exploration doesn't provide opportunity
Not a problem with Wizard. Rope Trick. Tiny Hut.
>>
File: Psionics.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Psionics.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>51021825
Your DM is hilariously retarded or autisticaly spiteful. TPKs should never happen unless the party is literally nothing but morons, and even morons learn eventually.

>>51021832
I am willing to concede those points.
>>
>>51021889
Thanks! I already downloaded this, but it's good to see some anon love for psionic.
>>
>>51021889
Must you post this every day?

>>51021848
All right, that's fair. Ancient ruins are probably a good dungeon if you really have to rest.
Maybe I'm limiting myself. Or the group I played a warlock with doesn't do the right kind of dungeons. Or maybe they hate resting. I'll withhold judgment until I have more experience.
>>
>>51021825
You can die in 5e? I mean... My Level 5 PC got hit with a Finger of Death spell and he still hasn't die.
>>
>>51021945
>Must you post this every day?
>
EVERY
THREAD
>>
>>51021683
>If someone's party takes 4 hours of short rests in a single day on a regular basis, I'd be genuinely surprised.
There are 24 hours in a day, 8 used for sleeping. Add 4 for short rests and you still have 12 whole hours for adventuring and travel.

I don't see the issue.
>>
>>51021957
Adventurers don't stop to eat or piss or shit. Get out of here. They're automatons with endless energy and no bodily functions. Those activities are too vigorous to allow for a rest.
>>
>>51021957
How long do your group's sessions run?

How much of that time is spent outside of combat, either on RP, or exploration, or just on inter-party debate?
>>
>>51022006
4-6 hours on average.

We tend to have a mix of crawl-heavy sessions and RP/exploration sessions where you might only get one combat if you go hunting for it. This also depends on who's GMing this particular part of the adventure.
>>
I'm making my first character ever. What are some desert regions in the world of D&D?
>>
File: no dignity.jpg (31KB, 198x198px) Image search: [Google]
no dignity.jpg
31KB, 198x198px
>>51022151
>D&D
>1 world
>>
>>51022151
If your GM hasn't specified the world you're in, ask them.
>>
>>51017453
>>51017471
>>51017530
Yeah, so a good solo enemy for four level fours would be the equivalent of a level 32 adventurer. So obviously 32 is not really a god breaker without magical items and boons and such.
>>
>>51022158
You know what I meant. Please don't reply if you're not going to contribute.
>>
>>51022158
This is the future you chose.

Forgotten Realms is all there is. There is nothing else. Even homebrew settings are in the not-Realms.

An entire generation will come of age believing this.
>>
>>
>>51022194
GREYHAWK WILL NEVER DIE
>>
File: doggo.png (451KB, 800x1035px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.png
451KB, 800x1035px
Ice doggo or dog-color doggo?

I feel like speshul snowflake colored wolf is leaning too far on the faggotry scale.
>>
>>51022206
>>
>>51022151
If you're playing in Forgotten Realms, Zakhara is the ARABIAN NIIIIGHTS area. There's also Calimshan and Anauroch, but those are just kind of a desert where white poeple live and a desert where horrible monsters live, respectively.
>>
>>51022180
>You know what I meant.
Birthright, Blackmoor, Council of Wyrms, Dark Sun, Dragon Fist, Dragonlance, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, Ghostwalk, Greyhawk, Jakandor, Kingdoms of Kalamar, Lankhmar, Mahasarpa, Mystara, Nentir Vale, Pelinore, Planescape, Ravenloft, Rokugan, Spelljammer, Thunder Rift, Warcrasft, or Wilderlands of High Fantasy?
>>
>>51022217
Make snow doggo's blanket blue.
>>
>>51022194
>>51022171
It's because it's a game for beginners, I guess. So generic ass Forgoten Realms fantasyland. We're going to start on Neverwinter but I don't think the DM cares about making the place consistent.
>>
>>51022180
Anon is a douche but anon is right. There is no default D&D world, even when one is implied.
Are you playing a released module? Then it's probably Forgotten Realms, and you can probably go with a Calishite character (from Calimshan), which is the setting stand-in for Arabs.
If not, then please figure out what world you're playing in. If it's a homebrew setting, none of us can help you anyway.

>>51022194
As D&D #1 primo dumping grounds for 3rd-party content, FR is truly excellent.
For anything else, it's, uh, not.
>>
File: WG7CastleGreyhawkCover.jpg (50KB, 234x300px) Image search: [Google]
WG7CastleGreyhawkCover.jpg
50KB, 234x300px
>>51022214
Greyhawk was a mistake.

Well, the way it was marketed was a mistake. They never made it clear that Greyhawk is essentially a comedy setting.
>>
File: Capture.png (301KB, 908x594px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
301KB, 908x594px
>>51022242
All the colors on the wolf are still WIP, it was just red to match the Ranger's clothes.
>>
>>51022265
It's got the best pantheon though.
>>
>>51022246
If it's confirmed FR, see >>51022249. But do note that FR is not generic-ass fantasyland.

FR is generic-ass high-magic gods-involved-in-everything improbably-ecosystems too-many-intelligent-races fantasyland. If you want generic, try Greyhawk or Dragonlance.
>>
>>51022267
Make his feets white. If possible add a nice trim to the blanket, maybe a yellow/gold color.

Then it is perfect.
>>
File: ForgottenRealmsWasAMistake.jpg (500KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ForgottenRealmsWasAMistake.jpg
500KB, 1024x768px
>>51022279
>Implying the best pantheon isn't Lawful Good Dragons Vs Chaotic Evil Dragons Vs Nerd With A Book
>>
>>51022214
How long has it been now?

It's dead, Jim.
>>
File: cowboy-Ranger.png (905KB, 1000x1294px) Image search: [Google]
cowboy-Ranger.png
905KB, 1000x1294px
>>51022312
Looks pretty good, making the poncho blue helps make them not look like that anime vampire too.

I'll probably redo the trim to a design like the poncho though.
>>
>>51022505
Ye son
>>
>>51022173
A level 32 barbarian or fighter should be able to smash through any damn troll slayer with a single mighty punch, gear or no gear.
>>
I'm about to run a D&D5e game for the first time.

My only experience has been with Pathfinder.

Are there any recommended DM screens for 5e?
>>
>>51022663
joke's on you, a 24 STR character would do 8 damage on an unarmed strike without a feat like Tavern Brawler!
>>
>>51022232
Do you have any links for Spelljammer or planescape resources.
Setting i'm doing is planescape on the material plane so its a lot of wacky bullshit thats going to happen and be played as straight and normal.
I'm hoping, though, that I can lead my players to a high enough level where they can interact with some greater dieties to make spelljammer styled exploration a thing.
>>
Hey I am playing lost mines and we got a goblin joining our party. I am a farily new player but do NPC level up at all? The Goblin is pretty weak would be nice if he got some extra HP on him. I plan on buying him some armor soon to give him a boost to his AC but want to know if he can naturally get better.
>>
>>51021175
Not sure if this is specific enough to what you're looking for, but stumbling across the Fey Court carousing in the moonlight is about as fairytale as it gets. Bonus points if they have to save to leave.
>>
>>51022760
If he significantly contributes to combat then yes, he does take experience. It is, however, up to the GM to decide how they do this. Ask him about it. Suggest shit like increasing hit die and proficiency bonus.
>>
>>51021175
>long bridge with a troll living underneath it,
>>
File: Death Watch Beetle.png (62KB, 345x573px) Image search: [Google]
Death Watch Beetle.png
62KB, 345x573px
Hey guys, explain why my homebrew is shite
>>
File: 1287336330449.jpg (10KB, 250x237px) Image search: [Google]
1287336330449.jpg
10KB, 250x237px
Have you guys ever recruited someone via posters? How'd you go about making it eye catching?
>>
>>51022868
can't kiss it
>>
>>51022336
I hate dragonlance so much..shame on me that sometime ago i liked it.
I cannot imagine what people at the time thought when fantasy went from diying earth to that.
>>
>>51022843
Yoooooooooooooooooo thanks man!
>>
>>51022868
>Beetle that can't fly
>Beetle that does necrotic sound damage
>Beetle that can camouflage like any other being
>Beetle can only bite
>No PC Race option

Is this a humanoid-ish monster? Or just a fuckhuge beetle?
>>
100th for using Strength with (cross)bows
>>
>>51022868
> death rattle 10d10
>hit points 33
>attack +5 2d6+3.
>CR 7.

just quit the death rattle thing and low the CR.
Put some resitance to slashing and piercing weapons.
>>
>>51022997
A fuckhuge beetle. It's a monster I snagged from the old Monstrous Compendium.

>>51023094
The death rattle is it's only significant feature.
>>
File: original.jpg (46KB, 309x400px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
46KB, 309x400px
As a Druid whose focus is probably gonna be along the lines of Scouting, Healing and Summon-shitting, would it be smarter to go Land Druid or one of the UA's? If I go land, I'm pretty much stuck on taking swamp due to background and setting. Also figured Moon doesn't really help if I can't cast those spells in the wild shape. Team Comp is at least Bard, Barb, and Warlock, though we may be adding a Monk too
>>
>>51023140
So it's not upright? How were you planning on it camouflaging more than its face?

Also, I'd probably beef HP and AC up a bit, low the death rattle by 1 die, and add either a fly speed (I assume the death rattle is more from the beating of its wings then something else) or maybe make it more rhinoceros beetle and give it horns and a gore attack.
>>
>>51023140
>10d10

Are you trying to tpk your players?
It comes out of fucking nowhere.
>>
>>51022505
i find the character very mary sue:
>wolf mount, owl
>that pile of knives and darts
>that colapsible glaive.
>that magiteck rifle
>that fucking color composition that hurt my eyes.
Its like a collage of all the mary sues things of the world.

Despite it i like the visual art and the style, i would like it more if the author knew what the fuck he want to do instead of a collage of "cool" things.
>>
>>51023253
>he has a problem carrying 20 knives
nigga i've got like 30 javelins on me and the DM keeps giving me more
>>
>>51023140
Its a bomb/trap its not encounter.
Either they pc survive and kill the bettle in one round or they all die. Its stupid mate.

You created a monster but you dont know what you wanted to do with it.
>>
>>51022670

the default one wizards sells is pretty nice, it has all the status ailments on it
>>
File: territorial oak.gif (155KB, 420x327px) Image search: [Google]
territorial oak.gif
155KB, 420x327px
>>51023293
Sounds like he'd get along well with this guy right here.
>>
File: 1476835078816.png (223KB, 400x345px) Image search: [Google]
1476835078816.png
223KB, 400x345px
>>51023253
>Mary sue
>>
File: TEMP.png (42KB, 328x510px) Image search: [Google]
TEMP.png
42KB, 328x510px
>>51023293
>>51023241
>>51023221
>>51023094
>>51022997
Alright, I changed up hp a bit, dropped the damage, and death rattle now takes three rounds to work, so the party would have time to find it. CR is still up in the air, as it is more of a trap than an encounter.
>>
>>51023291
30 javelins fuck my life. Just get a returning one or an elona quiver.
It funny to see how a character can hold 30 javelins without magic.
>>
File: Capture.png (102KB, 431x388px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
102KB, 431x388px
>>51023253
Well it all started with a simple
>UA Ranger is pretty cool, I'll make a guy based around that but who's pet is a mount.
Then it went
>Huh, a glaive is a bit big to carry indoors, I think I'll design a folding one.

From there
>Well if I'm going STR I can't really use a bow or anything, so I guess I'll just make some "heavy" daggers that use Handaxe stats.
And finally
>Well handaxes are decent up close but don't have enough reach since you can't use Sharpshooter with them. I'm getting at least 16 DEX anyways for Medium Armor Master, might as well take a longbow for range.
>Spend ages trying to design a bow that matches the rest of the set, decide to go for a crossbow instead
>A crossbow doesn't match the design of the character either though (ye olde cowboy), so I guess I'll design an overcomplicated spring-powered one instead. (Also note that the only magic on the springbow is for an automatic crank, you can use a manual one instead. In theory it should be fully functional in reality, though it'd be prone to breaking and probably wouldn't have as much velocity)

Color composition is pretty iffy though, I agree. I'm still considering going back to the neutral browns/reds for the wolf and poncho, pic related.

You don't think of it until you actually spend the time drawing it but 5e Adventurers typically carry a LOT of shit and it's difficult to design a character around that without it coming off as a clusterfuck.
>>
File: beedtle.png (97KB, 338x342px) Image search: [Google]
beedtle.png
97KB, 338x342px
>>51023221
>How were you planning on it camouflaging more than its face?
Fuck if I know. Not my OC, just adapting it. Here's the pic from my 2e Greyhawk stuuf
>>
>>51023253
>>51023446
Oh and as for the Owl
>needed some way to communicate with their wolf when they're, for example, in an inn or other building in town where a fuckhuge dog isn't allowed, (plus Find Familiar is incredibly useful just for scouting and utility)

I figure since the Familiar is a "Fiend, Fey, or Celestial" it means it's visibly so, so a DM can justify why an enemy would attack an otherwise normal Owl on sight when it's scouting their camp.
>>
>>51023404
Mate that not a character, is a bunch of cool things glued its clearly idealized.
>>
>>51023446
Can the glaive be used as a battleaxe while folded?
>>
File: fasces.jpg (22KB, 736x520px) Image search: [Google]
fasces.jpg
22KB, 736x520px
>>51023441
Wrapped around my greataxe so the whole thing is one enormous fasces
I'M HERE TO BRING YOU CULTURE
>>
>>51023453
AHHHHHH WHERE DID THAT COME FROM
>>
How much better would your game become if you replaced gnomes and dragonborn with firbolg and goliaths?
>>
File: 81vHSD8m85L._SL1500_.jpg (107KB, 1500x883px) Image search: [Google]
81vHSD8m85L._SL1500_.jpg
107KB, 1500x883px
>>51023506
Up to the DM, but I don't see why not. I based the folded design off a Woodsman's Pal so they can use it for things around the camp like cutting light firewood and stuff.

I made a statblock for a folding glaive but didn't bother saving it. It went something like

>Folded
>Battleaxe stats
>As a bonus action you can unfold into a glaive, this action doesn't have enough force to cause damage
>Unfolded
>Glaive stats
>As an action you can return the glavie back to it's folded state, this action doesn't have enough force to cause damage
>>
>>51023539
I like you
>>
>>51023562
My players would carry even more shit they don't need.
>>
>>51023446
>>51023499
>>51023501

Im sorry if im being rude i didnt want to.
I like how do you draw i like your art style and i glad that you posted it. I criticisized it because i feel that its a kind of a waste that for me (because its totally an opinion) the direction you taked to make the equiptment and mount.

I really sorry.
>>
>>51023539
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZSAVEORDIEMOTHERFUCKERZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
>>
>>51023501
Regardless of your opinion that's not what mary sue means. Stop ascribing it to 'anything I don't like'
>>
File: Octopus.gif (3MB, 297x223px) Image search: [Google]
Octopus.gif
3MB, 297x223px
>>51023453
You could make its carapace/shell be like octopus skin. Has changing chromatophores in it and can change texture as well.

Then maybe make it so when it is camouflaged its shell becomes softer and it takes more damage. So if the players are good and are able spot it while it is camouflaged, they get a little bonus.

Maybe have it so that when it reaches half HP, it scuttles off into the darkness and camouflages itself again, giving the players another chance to prove their mettle and get that bonus again.
>>
>>51023625
no worries m8 art is meant to be critiqued. If nobody told you "that shit's dumb" you'd likely end up like Dobson thinking you're hot shit because nobody bothered to tell you otherwise.

I just like overdesigning characters I'll probably never play.
>>
>>51022265
No, That module is a mistake, its an intentional parody that really wasn't funny and a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. It was luckily superseded by WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins. It is best to forget about it, or treat it as an Alt. Reality.

Everything else for Greyhawk is fine.
>>
>>51023662
Oh, if the thing doesn't drop a player, it ain't doing shit. It's just going to hide and wait for some easier prey. If a player goes down, however, it will immediately attack the rest of the party to defend its kill. They're less of a single encounter and more of an environmental hazard. Hopefully it provokes the players to do things like bring earplugs when they pass through this area.
>>
>>51023562
I like my gnomes, but the scalies can go.

Side topic, in terms of racially genetic relations or straight up categorization, tell me if this sounds right for the sapient races:
small > average > hardy > buffass > nonPC way2big

Smoothskins:
Halflings > Humans > Dwarves > Goliaths > Giants
Greenskins:
Goblin > Hobgoblin > Orc > Bugbear > Troll(?)
Scaleskins:
Kobold > Lizardfolk > Dragonborn > ??? > Dragon
Fey:
Gnomes > Elves > Firbolg > ??? > ???
>>
Where is the best place to set up hireling magic users? I'm trying to think of a location that would make sense.
>>
>>51023669
You know how to draw lines and i think that you just started to define your own style.
Thats the hardest and most important part.
The rest can be learned from others.
>>
>>51023774
>Wizard College
>Merc Company with a Magic Division
>Most religious temples/places of worship

Pretty much if you can find a group of people who use magic, you can probably hire one of them
>>
>>51021695
Altitude thing is a ribbon, it's supposed to be useless flavor.
>>
>>51023408
maybe make death rattle do half on save

also, camouflaged
>>
>>51023562
Gnomes are fine, and firbolg are too large. And there isn't much point in replacing one meme race with another.
>>
>>51023891
Warcraft ruined players' idea of gnomes
>>
File: 1343355213091.jpg (8KB, 251x197px) Image search: [Google]
1343355213091.jpg
8KB, 251x197px
>>51023891
>meme race
>>
>>51023562
My current game only contains humans, dwarves, wood elves, goliaths and firbolgs.

It's pretty rad desu.
>>
>>51023253
To be fair if collapsible weapons and magitek rifles are normal for the system they're not that bad.
>>
>>51023866
I was going to do that, but I think the save is already high enough that on average, at least one party member will take damage. That, in my mind, is enough to motivate the players to either get the hell out, or at least prepare carefully for any adventures in that area. If it does 1/2 anway, I think I risk wearing them down too much.
>>
>>51023891
Gnomes in my game are all feral bleachlings. One can make a decent living being a gnome exterminator.
>>
>>51023784
I'm finally getting to the point where I can look at something and think "that looks pretty good" instead of comparing it to other people's work and getting discouraged, so I'm content with that much for now. Honestly the biggest help I've gotten for drawing in photoshop was finding the Pencil brush really is a lot like using an actual pencil.

That Cowboy Ranger still would need probably a few days of work before I'd consider it "done" but I think it's decent for a character sketch for now and I'll probably start on the next character I'll probably never play.
>>
File: 1482824879423.jpg (291KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1482824879423.jpg
291KB, 1680x1050px
>>51023957
Fey/10
>>
>>51024020
Pretty much yeah.
>>
File: Characters.png (40KB, 1105x315px) Image search: [Google]
Characters.png
40KB, 1105x315px
>>51024008
>the next character I'll probably never play.
I feel you. I really do.
>>
File: 1467959761054.jpg (51KB, 480x410px) Image search: [Google]
1467959761054.jpg
51KB, 480x410px
>>51024055
>have a game coming up where I actually get to play for the first time in three years of permaGM
>tfw pretty sure the GM and I are the only ones who aren't playing memes or going to play like they were in an MMO
>>
>>51024131
I'm in the same situation. The other GM is notorious for being flaky despite grand plans. We've had one session since he brought up the idea 2 months ago, and we're supposed to have another in a week.
>>
Is Fighter the best "Hero Class" or would that be Paladin?
>>
>>51024152
Paladin is your stereotypical well-rounded hero.
>>
>>51024152
Depends. Do you want to be Superman or King Arthur, a statuesque mythical warrior and protector of the realm? Paladin all the way.

If you want to inspire people with true tenacity and courage without exalting yourself, put away your farming tools, grab a sword and a level of fighter, and get out there and do some good.
>>
>>51024209

Why is he adventuring
>For glory and to become a hero!
>He wants to be a hero and save people
>He wants to fight evil
>He wants to be sung about by bards
>>
>>51024258
>Because a wise old man with a "!" above his head told him to collect 40 bear asses!
>>
>>51024258
Fighter with folk hero background. That's my 2 cents.
>>
>>51022900
Name it "Rape Club D&D" and you'll get all the attention you can ever want.
>>
File: Vikig2.png (60KB, 347x579px) Image search: [Google]
Vikig2.png
60KB, 347x579px
So this is a nasty monster/NPC who's been lurking outside the starting town for a while. He's a n old, crafty, fey-touched saber-tooth tiger. Any glaring problems with him?
>>
>>51024152
Human Rogue Charlatan who pretends he's a wizard, only to wind up researching how to fake it so hard he unintentionally starts doing it right.

Clearly.
>>
>>51024152
Multiclass Fighter / Wizard / Rogue, like a music-less Bard
>>
>>51024152
Gnome Wild Magic sorcerer who uses his mechanical tinkerings to cast spells, but they're constantly malfunctioning.
>>
>>51022900
If there is a visible d20 on the poster it will attract players without being horrifying. Don't overdo the graphics, this should be enough.

Keep your explanation simple and easy. "D&D group looking for another member" works. When you guys play, "Wednesdays 6PM-10PM" for example. Add a basic filter as needed "experienced players preferred" or "first timers to RPGs welcome" or whatever based on what you're looking for.

Include a phone number they can access, maybe a time frame it's easiest to get ahold of you included. Make sure the best speaker in your group (nicest voice, least amounts of "um" and "uh" in their speech, etc) is the person they're calling.

Offer to meet up at a nearby restaurant or preferably FLGS if you have one in town, pay for their meal if it's a restaurant meetup (do not fucking advertise this or tell them you're buying, this way if they get like fifty things you can bail with your own tab paid), and have the group meet and chat with them. If they seem cool invite them to where you play for the next session.
>>
>>51024383
>Multiclass Fighter / Wizard / Rogue, like a music-less Bard
Oh boy are we making a Red Mage styled "Adventurer" class for singleplayer newbies?

Hold up I'm on it.
>>
>>51024509
Make me a Blue Mage plz
>>
>>51024578

If someone actually makes a blue mage, I'll be impressed as fuck. I don't think blue mages are compatible with 5e.

For a red mage, I just multiclass arcana cleric with fighter.
>>
>>51024595

wouldn't that just be favored soul?
>>
>>51021101
What is there for my PCs to spend money on?
>>
>>51024578
Blue would be hard as shit. Red is basically gonna be a houseruled Bard borrowing some shit from other classes.

It won't be balanced for play with other classes I reckon, I'm gonna focus on this being something either every player uses while level dipping for customization or for use in a singleplayer game to keep the player hardy.

For "new to D&D" ease I'm only using PHB content for it. Once I'm done I'll post it and you guys can decide just how shitty it is on your own.
>>
>>51024595
somehow, making a character that *wants* to fail saves seems like a bad idea for a level 1

>>51024622
Depends on how much dosh we're talking.
10gp? refilling arrows, lodgings, etc.

1000gp? Magic items.
>>
>>51024622
Food and lodging. Better food and lodging. Hirelings, followers, mercenaries, and employees. Land and holdings. Business investment. Charitable donations and chartering public projects. Lavish parties for the upper crust of society. You name it.
>>
Guys I am creating a story and I can't pintpoint one of my characters alignment.

I asked plebbit and they gave me 3 different alignments(in 4 replies):

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/5ltwl4/need_help_determining_a_npcs_alignment_given_his/

Is 4chan smarter and can tell me what alignment this NPC actually is?
>>
>>51024622
Tolls
Transportation
Gear and ways to transport it.
Mercs.
Apothecaries, researchers, other skilled laborers.
Tithes to local temples.
Property, real estate.
Working their way towards becoming a noble (lots of money for clothes, status symbols, parties, favors, etc.)
Luxury items.
>>
>>51024653
Could take the FF8/9 approach, you get spells by eating monsters and enemy casters
>>
>>51024618

Favored Soul wouldn't be white-magic enough to be a red mage. It's also, fluffwise, much more of a holy warrior type than a red mage would be.

>>51024653

What?
>>
>>51024653
>5e
>buying magic item
>>
>>51024695
Second comment is right.
>eats innocents
>anger issues
>sadistic

Sounds pretty fucking evil to me. Maybe there's a spark of good in him, but so long as (I'd argue, even one of) those traits are present, he is Evil with a capital E.
>>
>>51024595
The closest I ever got to a Blue Mage was taking Absorb Elements and Chromatic Orb and just fluffing Chromatic Orb to be w/e spell I was recently hit with that was absorbed by Absorb Elements.

Additionally I guess you could be an Illusionist Wizard and just make effects to replicate what you've seen. Phantasmal Force could be really good for this.

Also take Alter Self for Beast Attacks.
>>
>>51022173

Wait, so for a party of 4 level 2s to feel threatened by a single villain, he needs to be level 16?

That seems crazy.
>>
>>51024745
>not letting your players buy small, trinket-like magical items that don't break the game.
Sure, in my campaign it takes work to find a bag of holding or a +1 anything, but magic is still around.
>>
>>51024695
>https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/5ltwl4/need_help_determining_a_npcs_alignment_given_his/

For a character in that much inner turmoil and division, I'd say Chaotic Neutral.
>>
>>51024782
When you break it down, it's 4 actions vs. 1 action. No matter what the party casters throw at him, he can't save against everything. If they hit him with crown of madness or another low-level control spell, it's now 8 actions vs. 1 action. Things can get out of hand pretty quickly, and you'll find your boss is nowhere near as invincible as he sounds.
>>
>>51024509
I made an "ivalice mage" a while ago that could become white, black, red, or blue from lv1
White could use spell slots for heal, cure, and lazarus spells
Black could use them for elemental damage spells
Red gained rapier proficiency and could cast low level black and white magics with a bonus action
Blue gained scimitar and medium armor proficiencies and could use spell slots to "store" spells casted on him if he made the save
>>
>>51024745
Lol I have magic item shops in my campaign. I love seeing the look on the faces on new players when they go to the Tiefling Blacksmith and look at their gold on their character sheet then ask how much is that Firey Sword.

>Ranger
How much is that sword?
>Blacksmith
900 Gold
>Ranger
B..but I only have 10 gold
>Me
HAHAHAHA
>>
File: Most Accurate Map of the Planet.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Most Accurate Map of the Planet.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
I'm trying to build a Witch Hunter class off of this conversion
http://geekandsundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Witch-Hunter-Class-FINAL-4.2.pdf

My characters background is a Hill Dwarf that has had his community's long standing highland games ruined by Druids, and since I'm going for Order of Profane Soul I want him to have at least some Druid knowledge. What would be more fair to my GM, multiclassing as a druid or adding the druid spell list as an optional sidegrade to the warlock spell list I already have access to as a witchhunter? I'm not trying to minmax I just want to have abilities that match up with my characters backstory.
>>
>>51024838
That sounds like a good way to rope people into faustian pacts.
>>
>>51024821
>eats people but regrets it
>is sadistic, doesn't regret it
Personally, I don't think you can call killing innocents and enjoying the pain you cause them anything but evil.
>>
>>51024856
You really hit the nail on the head

>Party in level 1 dungeon
>Going to save Butcher's Son who was kidnapped
>Hobgoblin about to sacrifice boy on altar to become a warlock
>Ranger kills Hobgoblin at the Altar
>Hobgoblin is sacrifice
>Old God offers Ranger to make a Pact
>>
>>51024848
multiclassing into druid
>>
>lizardfolk forge cleric

How would you reskin this to fit?
Making weapons out of bones and animal skins doesn't really meld well with fire and metal.
>>
How do i mess with my bard player?

I had them go through a ''Troll blocking a bridge'' encounter to slow them down for a chasing party of guards to catch them.
And then this guy starts diplomancing the troll after the troll demands money and food from them.

''Ah my dear fellow, i am sad to inform you that we don't own such luxuries. But worry not! There is much larger group comming after us and they are LOADED with coins and food. They will want to cross the bridge at all cost if they know we went past you.''

>Roll me 3 deception rolls and one persuasion roll
>All 20s FML

>They hide in the bushes on the other side of the bridge and wait for the troll and guards to enter combat and weaken them selves. Then they get the jump on both the troll and the guards with a fireball.
>>
>>51024857

>So we have a very hospitable, lawful, concerned about his people(he runs a small town in the borders of the empire) who at the same time feeds on people, is easily consumed by rage and is a sadist.

He eats people and enjoys the pain he causes, but the fact that he enjoys this disgusts him. That's the sort of grey area I usually shove under "Chaotic Neutral".
>>
>>51024937
Damn that's a lot of rolls senpai
>>
>>51024932
A pragmatic lizardfolk merchant who met the outside world and saw how advanced the other races are thanks to technology.
Thus he joins a temple to learn.

Remember forge clerics are about advancement, profit and research.
>>
>>51024954
I can see that, I guess.

I'd still smite him, though.
>>
>>51024827

But if he's a Martial, he can get two melee attacks per turn which can easily one-shot a level 2. I dunno. I feel like that fight could break either way.
>>
>>51024932
Fire is a lifeforce
You weave the force of life into these materials of once living beings to create Living Armour!

Additionally you can "transmute" the materials into metal for a time. In Full Metal Alchemist the main character turned a bunch of coal into gold for a time to fool someone, but eventually it turned back into coal.

Some combination of those 2 things maybe?
>>
>>51023157
Land Druid is such a joke. I don't even understand why they went with /that/.

That being said, thematically u should go swamp and just enjoy your character. In the end it's still a fullcaster.
>>
>>51024760
I think the fact that he is sadistic is the biggest giveaway? I mean if he had to feed on people but he wouldn't enjoy it he could be another alignment... maybe.

>>51024821
Can you expand on it? It is hard to me to see him as chaotic.
>>
>>51022900
I just used the Yikyak app to get players for my DnD game.
>>
>>51024974
It's a social interaction. Not combat so nat20s don't get you everything.
Thus i make him roll deception for each lie and persuasion after that to get past the troll.
Thing is i already gave him a bonus for his bullshiting ability cause it's fun but i can't let them get cocky for the next few encounters.
>>
>>51024937
>player comes up with an actually pretty clever solution
I don't see why you would want to punish that. It was a pretty smart idea, plus considering the fact that its a troll you shouldn't need that many goddamn rolls, one would have sufficed. This is the type of stuff you should be encouraging, instead of punishing a player because he came up with a better solution to his problem of having to fight a troll at full strength, followed by a bunch of guards at full strength, and instead let them weaken each other. Don't punish players because they came up with a better solution with what you gave them than the one they intended.
>>
>>51024954
>He eats people and enjoys the pain he causes, but the fact that he enjoys this disgusts him.

This is a very good description of him. But isn't his sadism a very evil characteristic? Enough to overpower the rest? Or is his intent and what he tries to be more important?
>>
Party is monk, paladin and rogue
Should I be a ranger or sorc to throw out ranged damage? I dont wanna be anything else since I dont wanna be a healcuck or a melee boy
>>
>>51024995

>Can you expand on it? It is hard to me to see him as chaotic.

Well, he's torn between law (he's an upstanding citizen and chaos (eating people is against the law) as well as good/evil. True Neutral would be the safest choice, maybe...but he's concealing his condition presumably? Which is more chaotic (concerned for yourself) than lawful.

Alignment is more of a team than a mental state anyway.
>>
>>51025039
I need to prevent them from trying it all the time since they are way too deep in the story to die by getting cocky at the next few encounters i planned for them.
>>
>>51025045
theres also not a word about him trying to be cured

at the end of the day this is a guy who thinks evil thoughts, commits evil acts and then tries to justify it to himself
>>
>>51025069
How about a battemaster archer?
Use maneouvers so Pally and Rogue get attacks of opportunity or sneak attacks.
>>
>>51024695
Fucking vampires.

Anyway, I would pin it as either lawful neutral or lawful evil.
His ideals still lie within lawful good territory, but the fact they would feed at all instead of sacrificing themself or something kicks them out of the 'good' category. Yes, it's a little bit chaotic all their monstrous stuff and hiding it, but a lawful evil can certainly be the sort who gives off an outstanding public image while killing in the background for their own needs.

I suppose it would be lawful evil due to the fact they do kill otherwise innocent people for little reason other to sustain their being. Yes, you could say it's neutral because it's done out of necessity, but it does seem he could also have just killed himself or found some other way or asked for help dealing with it or something

So, the choices would either be either lawful evil or neutral evil, unless he very, very rarely feeds and manages to restrain himself quite well and doesn't act much on his sadism and the like, in which case perhaps neutral or lawful evil.

Of course, his alignment probably won't really matter at all.
>>
>>51025078
>he's concealing his condition presumably?

He wears religiously his full plate(he has a metal facemask instead of a helmet), in part to hide his vampiric features and in part because the town is in the border of the empire and he wants to be ready always in case he has to defend his town.
>>
>>51023084
How would this even work?
>>
>>51025179
>>51024695
Sorry, meant 'perhaps neutral or lawful neutral' on the last one, not 'neutral or lawful evil'

I'd actually say: Lawful evil if he can restrain his rage well, neutral evil if he has some issues keeping his rage and all that under control, true neutral if he can get pretty wild and angry but still manages to suppress his need to feed or circumvents it through feeding on cattle or something, lawful neutral if he isn't too prone to anger, keeps that under control and can avoid killing people so much.
>>
>>51023957
How have the Dwarf and Goliath not teamed up to murder the rest of the party yet
>>
>>51023253
Honestly the Magiteck rifle is pretty creative, I like the idea that you could handcrank it if it weren't magically powered.
>>
>>51025110
Are we gonna get fucked by having no magic man? This is my 2nd campaign ever so i have no idea (first only lasted to level 5). I just want something fun desu famalam
>>
>>51025221
The entire setting only uses those sentients for PC races, anon.

Those two races are closely allied, however, and most outsiders keep right the fuck out of their lands.
>>
>>51025069
Go wolf barbarian.

Give everybody advantage on melee attacks.

However, a rogue can very well use ranged attacks already.
Sun soul monks are pretty decent at ranged attacks, too. Also, monks aren't very tanky, and rogues are kinda only half-tanky. Paladins aren't truly tanky either, compared to something like a barbarian.

But, if you want to go ranged, your main options are:
1. Warlock / Sorlock (Problem is sorlock is good at keeping enemies away, when your party wants to be up close)
2. Ranger (Hunter)
3. Dex Fighter
4. Rogue

However, again, a wolf barbarian is wonderful in an all-melee party,especially considering you don't have any 'supertanks'.
Also, you might want to go for a full caster since your party lacks that capability. They typically stay at a distance and blast.
If you went wizard, you could have a versatile list of spells to mess about with since the nearest thing to utility you have is a half-caster and a rogue with expertise.
>>
>>51025274
Pally already has magic and archery is superior at ranged combat at all levels.

You could try playing a sun soul monk or sorcerrer.
Ranger is kinda meh unless you go with UA ranger and even then you will barely use your spells.
>>
>>51025179
>>51025215
It probably won't matter but it might be important if a player decides to use detect evil or something like that. In most scenarios his alignment is irrelevant though.
>>
>>51025287
Wolf barb seems a bit too cheesy and warlock seems really boring with eldritch blast spam. Everything else is in this post is great though, ty for the tips my dude
>>
>>51024595
Brainstorming.
The class gains spell slots, but does not gain spells. Instead, any blue mage's spell list includes all spells cast on him by creatures with the beast, dragon, elemental, fey, monstrosity, ooze, or plant type. He can only learn a spell if it has an effect on him (i.e. not a spell that does nothing on a save, or if he's immune to a damage type).

d8 hp, proficiency in con and int saves, light and medium armor, simple weapons and one-handed swords.
>>
>>51025337
Alternatively, make a moronically comprehensive list of monster actions that make sense, and then figure out a spell level for each of them.
>>
Anyone got a good database of names? Been swamped with work all week and now crunch time is tonight and I'm a lot less prepared that I'd like to be...
>>
>>51024954
If it doesn't disgust him enough to make him STOP FUCKING DOING IT, it's evil.

This is what people don't get about people who have conflicting emotions, especially addictions. If an emotion isn't strong enough to lead to correct action, it has no value whatsoever.
>>
Can you export/import character sheets for Roll20 at all?
>>
>>51025337

What about the part where blue magic is supposed to be mostly monster skills and abilities and not simply spells? That's the major caveat here, you wouldn't want to copy, like, a claw or a bite attack, but being able to pick up pack tactics might be nice.

And that's also the other part of the problem: The vast majority of the game you're gonna be fighting stuff that either doesn't have an ability to take, has an ability you've already taken or has an ability you don't want to take. Couple that with the fact that there's no hard and fast way to determine which of a monster's abilities would qualify for a blue mage's ability (particularly when dealing with creatures with a lot of abilities) and you've got a right hot mess. I don't think 5e can handle a blue mage.
>>
>>51025335
Warlock isn't much more boring than a dex fighter, yet they also gets spellcasting.

Warlocks would be great on a ranger team since they get 10ft pushback but you're not on a ranger team.
And, yes, wolf barbarian is a bit cheesy.
Honestly, I didn't go with sorcerer because it's not very good compared to other casters, but if you really insist you could go fire sorcerer so that you've got Xd10+CHA firebolts. It's not as great as a warlock, but at least you have full spellcasting with what few spells you'd know.

Well, yeah, whatever. I could've just told you 'fire sorcerer or ranger is fine' to your original post. So think of it like that.
>>
>>51025337
Class features can be based off of the abilities blue mage learns from items - e.g. damage>mp can be expending spell slots to prevent damage as a reaction.

>>51025398
That's probably true. I'm just throwing shit at the wall to see if anything sticks or inspires someone else to come up with something better.
>>
>>51025322
Detect evil doesn't work like that.

There's only a very few things that can detect alignment, such as a pixie's ability. I believe a warlock with pact of the chain can get that, however, but it's a DC 10 save. Then again, I think the pixie can just spam that over and over against a target.
>>
>>51025413
Sprite, not pixie, but yeah. It can also turn invisible and weighs practically nothing, so it'll work eventually.

>>51025398
Another thought: blue mage can learn any Action that isn't a weapon attack, provided he survives it without becoming incapacitated, and is limited to a number of abilities based on his level.
The "not incapacitated" ensures that he can't learn anything that does a shit-ton of damage. Maybe even specify that it can't do more than X damage to him per level, or something. Or limit him to abilities from monsters of a CR/number of HD equal to his level.
>>
>>51025380

>This is what people don't get about people who have conflicting emotions, especially addictions. If an emotion isn't strong enough to lead to correct action, it has no value whatsoever.

A republican, I see.
>>
Huh, there are not a lot of earth-based spells in 5e, are there?

>>51025483

Being hit by something to learn it is fine and dandy in a system where you can force encounters with what you want relatively easily, but I don't think that method translated to 5e well. I also don't think it's a big deal to change that aspect of the blue mage. Perhaps replace it with an ability where the blue mage can spend, I dunno, ten minutes studying a creature to gain an ability from it? Maybe it has to be alive, maybe it has to be dead, who knows?
>>
>>51025509
Try Elemental Evil. It has some earth spells.

I think the blue mage should at least have to observe the ability being used.
>>
>>51025413
The only player with a confirmed character is going to play a warlock with pact of chain. Not even joking lol.

But he told me he didn't know what familiar to go for(he is NG), so it might be something else.
>>
An incomplete, scrap-built version of that "Can do basically everything" PC class for one player games right here.

WIP: Fixing the dead levels at 10th, 14th, and 18th levels. Creating archetypes (likely Warrior, Mage, and Thief for the classics' sake). Deciding on a spell list.

If I can get a little feedback on how to make it suck less or what you think would be good additions, feel free.
>>
The rules say you can't add your proficiency bonus to a single check more than once. Is there an Errata or commonly-accepted house rule for situations where you really ought to be able to double up? For instance, a bard with proficiency in Performance and with an instrument, who is giving a performance with that instrument. Or a con artist using his favorite set of loaded dice to Deceive someone.

Maybe you get to add your proficiency bonus + 1/2?
>>
File: version 0.1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
version 0.1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51025566
It would help if I included the fucking file.
>>
>>51025578
>For instance, a bard with proficiency in Performance and with an instrument, who is giving a performance with that instrument. Or a con artist using his favorite set of loaded dice to Deceive someone.
That would really just be the DM making a ruling to give you a flat bonus or advantage depending on how much of an edge it gives you, I reckon.
>>
>>51025582
Level 1 thieves' tools pls

>>51025578
No. You are either proficient or you are not. The only time you can add more is with expertise.

>>51025601
Unless there were some really special circumstances, this should not happen.
>>
File: gastraphete.gif (37KB, 501x259px) Image search: [Google]
gastraphete.gif
37KB, 501x259px
>>51025211
>big bow
>heavy draw weight
>high gauge wire
>hard wood
>pull / crank that motherfuck baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack to some obscene level
>put a bolt straight through a bitch at 180 meters per second
>>
>>51025617
>Thieves tools
Good point, I'll give it a choice between thieves' tools or an herbalism kit in case someone wants to go that way instead (also because single players might want cheap healing potions).
>>
>>51025498
you don't need to be a republican to see that someone who can't resist the urge to torture people is evil
>>
>>51025211
Um, because you have to be fucking strong to draw a longbow?
>>
>>51025617

>No. You are either proficient or you are not. The only time you can add more is with expertise.

You're missing the point. It's like going to a Slash concert where he's playing the banjo instead of a guitar. He could probably still put on a good show, because he's a performer, but not like what he could do with a guitar.
>>
>>51025674
But Republicans don't see torturing people as evil
>>
>>51025674

Even if you are being compelled against your will? That's what vampirism is. You'd have to have the willpower to starve to death with food laid out in front of you to resist that temptation.
>>
>>51025684
I'm not missing the point - I understood what you meant. But 5e isn't balanced for that, so you shouldn't do it.

>>51025674
I think it's more that it seemed like you/anon think that addictions are a moral failing, which is more in line with the Republican doctrine of personal responsibility than the Democrat doctrine of communal responsibility. Not sure how it would apply to the NPC in question.
>>
>>51025539
People seem to forget about Elemental Evil, in general. Even the designers never reference its spells....
>>
>>51025725
>Republican doctrine of personal responsibility
?????????????????????????????
>>
>>51025740

People forget about Elemental Evil?

That aside, it looks like a lot of the earth spells are level 6+. The only good earth spells I see for early levels are Earth Tremor and Maximillian's Earthen Grasp...and I'm not sure either of those qualify as "good."
>>
>>51025752
Just because they HAVE a doctrine doesn't mean they have to FOLLOW it, okay.
>>
>>51025725

>But 5e isn't balanced for that, so you shouldn't do it.

That's so amazingly stupid. The Entertainer background gives proficiency in Performance and one musical instrument. What the hell are you going to use the musical instrument for besides Performance checks?
>>
>>51025834
Intimidation checks?
Deception checks?
Animal Handling?
Religion?
Stealth?
>>
>You really need to take a step back and examine your life, when you can't even constructively discuss a mutual hobby online without instantly resorting to condescension and name-calling. Seriously.
This is some next level shit. Not him, but you were slapped down so hard with facts that all you can do is shit on the keyboard and then smash your head repeatedly into the shit hoping you would form a coherent post.

Stop being a whiny pussy punk ass bitch.
>>
>>51025582
>>51025566
So, it's basically a valor bard without support abilities?
>>
File: orcdireaxe.jpg (7KB, 435x202px) Image search: [Google]
orcdireaxe.jpg
7KB, 435x202px
How much damage should this weapon do? How about special properties? It looks promising.
>>
>>51025834
Bards use musical instruments as their focus.

Also, you might require proficiency in the instrument in order to be allowed to do a performance with the instrument in the first place.
>>
>>51025853

Anything involving playing an instrument is a Performance check IMO. It's about how well you can evoke the desired response from a listener.
>>
>>51025834
Playing a difficult piece without trying to flourish or impress everyone. It's a seriously classic example. No need to get rude.
The game specifically says you don't get to add it twice, so I'm really not sure why you're trying to.
>>
>>51025885
axechuks?
>>
Land Druids get both spells from their land type, right?
>>
>>51025903
Have you never met an Asian kid who plays the violin flawlessly but doesn't put on a show? Compared to punk musicians who are fantastic to watch but can't play their instruments for shit?

>>51025860
You didn't quote angeranon, so he doesn't know. :(
>>
>>51025885
martial (one-handed)
2d4 slashing
On an attack roll of natural 1, you lose a limb
>>
>>51025903
>stealthing with a guitar is Performance
no
>>
>>51025933
?
>>
>>51025934
It looks 2-handed to me. Maybe it could have a special property to use the other end for two-weapon fighting?
>>
>>51025928
Yes.
>>
>>51025935

How does one stealth with a guitar? Do you play really distracting riffs or something?
>>
>>51025885
Looks like a promising way to trick your orcish enemies into KILLING THEMSELVES
>>
>>51025885
1d12 slashing, heavy, two-handed, special

Special: Retarded
Whenever you take the attack action using this weapon you must roll a d20 and add your Strength modifier. If the result is higher than your AC, you suffer damage equal to 1d12 plus your Strength modifier, you fucking idiot
>>
>>51025933

>Have you never met an Asian kid who plays the violin flawlessly but doesn't put on a show? Compared to punk musicians who are fantastic to watch but can't play their instruments for shit?

In this system, both of them get exactly the same bonus as someone expert at both. That's my complaint.
>>
>>51025712
hes also a sadist, he doesn't hurt people just to survive.
>>
>>51025369
Bumping for lists of npc names
>>
>>51025974
Same way that noise-cancelling headphones work. You create soundwaves that are the inverse of your own noise and out of phase so that the two cancel each other out.
>>
File: rangedlancewk2.jpg (28KB, 611x165px) Image search: [Google]
rangedlancewk2.jpg
28KB, 611x165px
Here's your Strength crossbow
>>
>>51025712
Vampires are free-willed undead. They could starve themselves if they wanted to, or just walk into the sun and end their accursed unlife. But they don't, because they're evil.
>>
>>51026007
https://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/name/#type=common;common=Human%20Male
>>
>>51026032
Thanks!
>>
>>51026000
I understand your complaint, I was addressing the question of "isn't every check with an instrument a perform check?" by giving a counterexample.
And yeah, it doesn't really make sense, but it's all an abstraction anyway. You just have to accept that's how the system is designed.
If you want to accept it and instead add more, you're free to do it at your table, of course. But you won't find a lot of popular support for this house rule, I expect.
>>
>>51026029

Ignoring the high amount of willpower you'd need for that--what if your religion said that suicide was the worst sin?
>>
File: pilebunkerheadshot.gif (2MB, 260x208px) Image search: [Google]
pilebunkerheadshot.gif
2MB, 260x208px
>>51026026
>tfw no Pile Bunker
>>
>>51026082
Vampires are already dead. They can't suicide.
>>
>>51024937
>trying to 3 billy goats gruff a bridge troll
I'd give him bonus to his roles just out of common knowledge for his race to not fall for that shit.
>>
>>51025933
So? I'm just telling that guy to his face that he's a shitnugget and should have his shit slapped.
>>
>>51025869
Before archetype yeah, but I'm giving it archetypes to branch out into using different abilities and thematically removing the musical element from it.

Here's the second draft with the prototype archetypes and updated tool proficiency option.
>>
>>51025725
>addictions are a moral failing
I mean, morals are just things we make up that have no external reality, but yeah, that's a fair enough model for it. Unless you believe that moral failings must always be the product of some kind of "normal" or "fair" state of mind.

Addiction is part of someone's brain chemistry, and someone's brain chemistry contains the entirety of their character. And as it stands, we don't really have the ability to fix addiction. An addict getting help is never a former addict or a recovered addict, but always and forever a recovering addict. They'll never really be worthy of trust again.
>>
File: version 0.2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
version 0.2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51026172
One of these days I'll do this right.
>>
Do I need to explain Evil again
>>
>>51026227
Yes please
>>
>>51026227
No.

>>51026239
Shut the fuck up Jeremy.
>>
>>51026227
Alignment faggotry is best left to old editions with other stupid shit like grapple size modifiers and THAC0
>>
>>51025885
Requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency Feat

While wielding this weapon you take 1d6 slashing damage anytime you make an attack roll with Disadvantage.

If you roll a natural 1 with this weapon take 1d8 slashing damage

When you take the attack action with this weapon, make 2 attack rolls. Each attack is equal to the damage of a flail but with slashing damage type.

If you attack with Advantage with this weapon, you can forgoe the damage of one of the aforementioned attack rolls to knock an enemy prone.

When you attack with this weapon without Advantage roll a D20, if the result is greater than your AC take 1d4 damage.

If you are performing another action besides attacking with this weapon while wielding it, such as casting a spell, roll a D20. if the result is greater than your AC take 2d4 damage.

Requires 2 hands to use.

This weapon can be stored normally on your person, but every hour of travel you must roll a d20. On a 10 or higher nothing happens, anything below a 10 results in taking 1d4 damage.

You can store this weapon Safely but it then requires 2 turns to unsheathe it in combat.

Special : If you are not proficient in Performance you can use this strange weapon to make a performance check to impress people with your fidelity with said weapon. You may then add your proficiency + strength to your performance check. It is at the DM's discretion whether or not your description of said performance actually utilizes the weapon in such a way.
>>
>>51026256
Does anything in 5e even reference alignment when playing?
>>
>>51026082
Then in the D&D cosmos your religion is wrong, or at least not objectively good.

And where is it written that it's "unfair" for goodness to require great willpower? Evil is usually the quick and easy path, and goodness is usually the hard, painful, thankless choice. Goodness is a heavy burden on anyone's willpower. If it's too hard for you, go be evil instead.
>>
>>51026227
I'll explain it.

"Alignment is a statistic that measures how close you are to the universe's definition of good, evil, law, and chaos based on your actions."
>>
>>51026287
Very good.
>>
>>51026283
Almost nothing. The NPC archetypes in the DMG require an evil alignment, and the one creature that can detect others' alignments is the sprite.
>>
>>51026283
Detect Evil and Good and abilities like it just detect certain kinds of creatures but not alignments specifically because alignment was intended to be either used as a roleplaying tool, used mechanically only by DM discretion, or ignored as needed.
>>
>>51026184
>They'll never really be worthy of trust again.
I'm sorry, what?
>>
File: 1482171508938.jpg (114KB, 516x691px) Image search: [Google]
1482171508938.jpg
114KB, 516x691px
>>51021825
The sessions I run are all tests of endurance. I usually have about 12 players, and I provide food after the (usually 5-hour) session. I grant food based on hours lived: for each hour, I give that player one piece of pizza. The progression is such that there are rarely players alive by the start of the last hour, and no character has ever survived the entire session.
>>
>>51026394
addicts are scum who should be gunned down in the street to keep our children safe, halt the spread of their nefarious disease, and serve as a lesson to the rest of society not to get anywhere near that dark path
>>
File: IMG_20161224_095013.jpg (23KB, 507x538px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161224_095013.jpg
23KB, 507x538px
>>51026445
... What.

>12 players
What.

>real life rewards based on individual achievement, nothing to do with teamwork or roleplay or such and such
Whaat.
>>
>>51026394
The "treatment" available to them is so much superstition and wishful thinking. They're broken beyond our current ability to repair, and anyone who trusts one is inviting disappointment.
>>
>>51026503
I believe he was kidding, anon.
>>
File: 1440396288769.jpg (255KB, 580x423px) Image search: [Google]
1440396288769.jpg
255KB, 580x423px
>>51026503
You try DMing for 12, it's like herding fucking cats, the only way is to just kill 8 as fast as possible so you can have reasonable combat.

These sessions also are AD&D instead of 5e because it better facilitates the goal of me purchasing less food.
>>
>>51026503
The real thing you should worry about is that he said there are rarely "players" alive by the end.
>>
>>51021792
The d12 thing has always been that it recharges on a short or long rest. I haven't had any problems with it anyway. I think it is a useful trait.
>>
File: version 0.3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
version 0.3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Gonna release 0.3 as-is right now. Filled out the last few dead levels and gave it what is essentially a better version of the barbarian's level 20 ability.

Gonna work on the spell list later on. Had half a mind to just say fuck it and say they can learn spells from any spell list, but at the same time I'm wondering if this would be a good time to prune some of the more cheese-heavy spells and generate some thematics with what spells do or don't commonly exist in a game where this class is the norm.
>>
>>51024782
Or 4 goblins. Which is the very first fight of the starter set lamao.
>>
>>51024782
More like 1 lvl 5 or 6
>>
>>51022691
psssstt go to the OSR thread and check their trove. Its full of cool old stuff and you can find both Spelljammer and Planescape stuff in there.
>>
File: WjSyhgF.jpg (26KB, 337x498px) Image search: [Google]
WjSyhgF.jpg
26KB, 337x498px
>>51026603
I've seen people try ridiculous numbers of players before
There's only regret.

>>51026623
AD&D sounds like it'd work better, though. And, I guess if you kill them pretty quickly it works out. Not sure what the people left out would do, though.

>>51026638
Some of the players were probably dead from the start.
>>
>>51026826

I think the idea there was to immediately teach new players that you don't always need to fight what the DM puts in front of you.

They should have chosen something more imposing though, losing to "wimpy" goblins just makes new players feel dumb and shitty instead of learning the lesson.
>>
File: latest.jpg (54KB, 900x800px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
54KB, 900x800px
>>51021101
What class would Serpico be? Rogue or Fighter? Paladin even?
>>
>>51027589
For sure Multi class not sure what but he does it
>>
>>51026013
That sounds like it would be very difficult.
>>
>>51027799
Good thing you have proficiency.
>>
>>51027589
Dex based fighter. Pic related is rogue.
>>
I'd love to run a whimsical game similar to a Mizazaki film like Howls Moving Castle.

But I know it wouldn't work because the characters in those films usually forgive most villains and save them while my players would murder anything or anyone even remotely aligned against their interests.

Like, in Howl the main character Susan lets the little dog familiar of the villain sorceress and the depowered wicked Witch of the Wastes come with her - which eventually works to her advantage in saving the day.

My players would have smothered the witch with a pillow and dropped the little dog out of the plane
>>
>>51027589
Dex battlemaster fighter, dueling or defense fighting style and uses a magic rapier
>>
How do we improve monster design in 5e? Less HP and better saves? Are the Volo's monsters better put together than the MM ones?
>>
>>51024782
No, that is retarded.

For example a level 16 Wizard would simply fireball them dead or a level 16 fighter would action surge and kill them all
>>
As a DM how many Hirelings do you usually allow the party to buy? Do you put a limit on it?
>>
>>51028158
What do you have against the monster design in Volo's?
>>
>>51028215
In one game I run with seven (7) players, zero. They can make friends with select NPCs who accompany them for a time however.

I run another game with only 3 players, so I usually supply opportunities for them to hire or befriend an adventurer NPC (statted like a PC)

I haven't had them have hirelings or whatever like AD&D though
>>
>>51028078
Do it anyway. Set the tone for the game you want to play. Start with few heartwarming jobs where the players will get rewarded for the good they have done. Then introduce some minor villain but the evil he is doing is for something good. Show some weakness along side his strengths. Maybe he burst crying or just begs the PCs to let him do what he wants to do. If they kill him anyway use grieving tone "Congratulations. You have slain a man who did not wished to fight you and prevented him from saving his wife. You have won. The session.....ends here". Only after that introduce the BBEG.
I think why most PCs kill the villian is because he/she never showed weakness. Until his last moment he was evil cult leader spewing vile instead of human being that is laying there broken after his ritual have failed. Having no reason too keep on going and at the mercy of the heroes.
>>
>>51028235
Nothing, I haven't even looked very hard at it, that's why I'm asking.
>>
>>51028380
What's bugging you about 5e monster design?
>>
>>51028468
"hit the enemy in a way that hurts them until they stop being a problem" seems like a bad strategy in a lot of cases, which is weird, for fighting.

But mainly I wanted to know what other people thought the problems were.
>>
>>51028516
>"hit the enemy in a way that hurts them until they stop being a problem" seems like a bad strategy in a lot of cases
But thats wrong. Just doing damage to an enemy is better at making them no longer a problem.
>>
Anons? Three quick questions:

What exactly are you expecting us to get for the remaining Subclass UAs? Ranger, we already have Deep Stalker, Archer and Beastmaster, so what's left? Bounty Hunter, maybe, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of other options. Ditto for the Rogue; we've got Assassin, Thief & Arcane Trickster in the corebook, Mastermind & Swashbuckler in the SCAG, and the Inquisitive from the Gothic Heroes UA - what's left? Especially since Scout is already a Fighter subclass. The mages, well, there's probably a fair number of things we could see - chronomancers, elementalists, wilderness/healer patrons for warlocks, genie patrons, etc.

Secondly, what's the general consensus on the Eberron Update shifter? They're a little bland to me, do others think they're underpowered?

Finally, if I wanted to convert the Saurian Shifters (basically were-dino shifters) from 3.5 to 5e, would I be better off going with specific dinos as a basis for the subrace, or stick with the "old shifter aspects become new one-only subraces" approach used for the official shifters? I ask because I tried the latter and it feels... well, kind of boring.
>>
>>51028516
What exactly is your problem with them?

>>51028537
This. Taking the monsters down in combat is directly solving the problem, through spells, abilities or other.
>>
>>51021101
Does anybody have a DM Guild trove, I thought it would be in the Mega Trove, but I don't see much DM Guild stuff in it.
>>
>>51028298
How about non combat ones such as cooks or guards that watch a area while the PC's are gone.
>>
>>51028617
>Secondly, what's the general consensus on the Eberron Update shifter? They're a little bland to me, do others think they're underpowered?

They look like the playtest races before the final version of 5e. I don't think they even bothered with compared them to final version races before releasing that UA
>>
>>51028215
I'd actually let them buy a whole load, but there'd be consequences to their actions. They'd likely get a reputation. Poor people would want to sign up or other people who want money in exchange for potentially risking their life, and they'd likely want to quit as soon as they get money before they get themselves killed. They might even run off with treasure alone if they can.

People might look upon the party with disdain if they get many people killed, they might well get kicked out of a city or a paladin or holy sword or something might have issues with it. Particularly, a paladin with an oath against it will likely get punished if they don't do something about it.

Hirelings would also rather avoid combat but they might be able to give them ranged weapons and try to protect them.

In particular I can see a combination of magic stone + sling hirelings working well.

Otherwise, hirelings might be rather reluctant to go ahead to set off traps or something. Not to mention sometimes setting off a trap can deny loot.

After all the complications the party might decide it's too much hassle. I'd rather not just say 'No, you can't do it.'
>>
>>51028637

Remember oldschool D&D where sometimes you thought 'actually, maybe we're better off not risking our lives and killing everything we see for EXP or because pretty much everything monstrous is going to try murdering us because we have an encounter quota to fill that would otherwise mean long rest users would be overpowered?'
>>
>>51028761
Those times have changed, man, 3e and 4e made sure of that. Now it's ingrained defeating monsters equates to gaining xp levelling up. For better or worse.
>>
>>51028822
Well, they do have milestones, which doesn't really require defeating monsters.

I still like the gold = exp style though.

And have some monsters that will actually retreat if they think they'll lose a fight. It gives people a reason to fight a monster half-way without having to repeatedly attack it until it dies and then think 'should we chase after it in case it comes back at a bad time or continue on? Maybe we shouldn't take a long rest, or it'll heal up again.'
>>
Warlocks suck, two spell slots is just not enough.

In a current campaign we're toying with the idea of changing it so the Warlock now has three spell slots instead of two, and using their mystic arcanum, instead of starting from lvl 11 with a sixth level spell slot, it starts at level 1 with a first level slot, going up accordingly

Thoughts?
>>
>>51028931
Compared to non-spellcasters and sorcerers, they're fine. They're just not as good as the very best classes, is all.
When used for multiclassing, they're fine.

The issue is that their main benefit over full casters is their cantrip, which becomes less relevant as full casters get more spell slots.

If I would make a change that would put them at full caster tier, I'd probably give them extra invocations of some sort that encourage things such as more at-will spells.
>>
>>51028931
Just redefine a "short rest" as "a couple of minutes where you're not doing anything stressful or strenuous". There, I've fixed 5e for everyone.
>>
>>51029195
To be honest, that is actually a good fix. My only concern about it was if there were spells such as 'armor of agathys' that would therefore be spammable.
You'd have to make a ruling that you cannot regain spell slots for a spell that's still affecting you that has a duration of an hour or less, or something.

Alternatively, make short rests 8 hours (sleeping) and long rests a week (Say, powers are gained every monday or something)
>>
>>51029195
> buffing Druid
>>
>>51029195
Thanks, my Warlock and my friend the Fighter appreciate this.

We did a lot of overland travel in our earlier adventures, so we got a lot of short rests when there were hours of walking between encounters. When we had site based adventures later on, the Long Rest party members didn't like the idea of stopping between rooms. It got boring when we were both reduced to "full attack" every round.
>>
>>51028885
Isn't there an option of still gaining xp even if your party or the monsters retreat?

Also, if you talk down or talk through a combat encounter or solved a combat encounter through another way, your party should still gain xp as if you defeated that encounter through combat. That needs to be a thing if it isn't already.
>>
>>51029331
You know that you are suppose to take a short rest after 3-4 encounter right?

You friends have it right. You are not suppose to do short rest during dungeon, unles it has several floor. Stop whining. You are as bad as that Wizard who spam all his spell and then ask for a long rest after every combat.
>>
>>51029338
But with that, how would you tell the difference between a monster the party walked by and ignored compared to a monster the party agitated on purpose and then made up with and walk off from?

Really, XP should be based on achievement. XP for loot (gold), and XP for completing a task that might not necessarily gain loot but furthers the party's ideals. Maybe each player could have a 'goal' which grants the party XP whenever something related to it happens. Say, a fighter's 'goal' is to prove themself better than dangerous foes and would get XP for defeating or besting or scaring off foes of a certain CR or higher. The cleric might have a goal of 'saving innocent lives' or such and gain XP for that.

Though, really, it's much harder to quantify. The deal with gold is it's a very accurate, objective measurement of your success if your party just wants money. It doesn't accomodate things such as 'I want to save people' though.
>>
>>51028931
I would not do this. I would not, that is, say 'I am modifying the class because I think Bobs character class sucks'. Instead, I'd take a hard look and decide if Bobs character is just weaker than the other characters and if that is effecting play.

If that is the case, then I would do something in game (in narrative/plot) to improve his character. This could be an item. Or, since he is a Warlock, he might do a side mission for a little extra juice from his boss - maybe with strings. Something that would really fit the campaign and that character.

Don't make a generic 'fix' to something that likely does not need it. Make it a specific fix that is tailored to your campaign you are running right now.
>>
>>51029429
And if your DM rewards your party with no gold or loot? What then? Party stagnation? Eternally at the same level?

What's the obsession with xp for gold or loot, you gotta get with the times.
>>
>>51029417
Why not take the long rest if it's a possibility?

If it's a possibility and you're not taking it, you're trying to get yourself killed.
It's your DMs job to pace things correctly and make sure there are clear/unclear punishments for what will happen if you take a short/long rest. Say, some traps or monsters might reset if you take a rest.

However, a warlock may need 2 or 3 short rests a day later on. 3-4 encounters is way too many, especially if your DM doesn't run dungeon crawls all the time and instead runs things in the open world with less crazy monster threats (four waves of monsters not attacking the town every day). In that case changing rest times seems a good idea, though you want to make rests longer there.
>>
>>51028678
If your pcs had a base that would work
>>
>>51029472
Then you're stagnating because you're not achieving anything.
The DM doesn't 'reward the party with loot'. The players reward themself, the DM just makes sure that there is appropriate loot in appropriate places. If the players just burned down the bakery and looted the cellar and found no loot, well too fucking bad, maybe you should've gone and raided that ancient tomb instead.
You could say the players have a responsibility to work out if where they're going is going to be profitable or not.
>>
>>51029429
>>51029472
Or even sparingly, what happens then? An excuriating time eternally waiting to level up.
>>
I wanna make a monk that's good.

Can I go full STR monk? Or do I have to have WIS?
>>
Playing CoS at level 10. We just arrived for the first time at vallakis, and took care of the dozen vampire spawn at the coffin maker with a well placed Wall of Force and Sunlight

I'm playing a bard, so I'm thinking

Cast Awaken on Rictavio's Sabertooth
Extort Baron Vallakovich for everything he's worth in exchange for my Guidance Advantage Expertise Performances at his festival
Try to establish Ireena in Vallakis by using that performance to bran her look as a grand fashion icon of all females in Barovia, trying to copy her

Anything else that is just as stupid that I'm missing?
>>
>>51029417
Nah, it's a short rest after each encounter and a long rest after four or so encounters. How many encounters do you think you're supposed to do a day?

Look at level 5. A standard caster has 4/3/2 spells across an entire day. Nine total, plus whatever they get from their class features. A Warlock has 2 per encounter. That's eight per day if you do short rests between encounters and average four encounters a day. That's what 5e is balanced around. That balance breaks if short rests and long rests occur at the same frequency, since you get Warlocks casting two spells in the same time a Wizard casts nine.

You could reduce the frequency of both types of rest proportionally, say 2 encounters per Short and 8 encounters a day, but if you did that you'd need to have easier encounters, and potentially monotonous encounters based on attacking/cantriping repeatedly, and you might risk everyone dying when they run out of HP and Hit Dice.
>>
>>51029536
That's like saying 'what if the DM put in only lots of very low CR monsters that give hardly any XP?'

If the DM wants to run a low-gold campaign, they can simply double the XP gained from gold or something.
>>
>>51029523
Then it's not a good way to level up, you can't guarantee there'll at least be loot anywhere.
>>
>>51029540
If you want to be absolute shit, sure.

It is possible to do this. Go a single level of fighter. Aim for plate armour. Get a greatsword or something.
Your damage won't be in any way impressive, you won't be fast or anything and you'll basically be worse than a monk at later levels (Say, 12+, or even earlier with rolled stats) but you'll be tankier until those later levels than a normal monk.

However, if you then also have low wisdom, then you're absolutely fucked, because your stunning strikes will suck and you basically become a worse fighter.
>>
>>51029429
The reason we don't use gold for leveling anymore is because it allows for more varied character motivation. Old AD&D modules often started at the front of a dungeon because it's assumed you're a character like aladdin or conan who will do something dangerous just for money. The tower of the elephant is said to house treasure? Better go climb that fucker.

IMO, XP works best when you award it for overcoming challenges in pursuit of a goal.
Sneak past a monster? Get the XP. Never enter the room where a golem is guarding someone's tomb? Don't get the XP.
Talk someone out of a fight? Get the XP. Kill the town guard just to take his wedding ring? Don't get the XP.
>>
>>51029634
Then go where the loot is or get quests that have rewards.
Isn't that the point of adventuring for loot?
Otherwise you're just mindlessly grinding monsters with no real intention.
While you could just walk through a forest blasting every wolf for XP, you can't do that with money as money is generally guarded in proportion to its value or rewarded in proportion to the danger of the task given.

If the DM doesn't want a loot-focused megalomaniac campaign, they can also reward XP for more personal goals such as 'save the city even if the city doesn't pay us for it'.
>>
>>51029609
Monsters at this point are a guarantee, loot however is not.

Or just level via defeating or "defeating" the encounters.
>>
>>51029673
Loot isn't gauranteed if you do pointless things. If you don't have a quest that rewards you with anything and you go somewhere where there's no promise of loot, you wouldn't be surprised if you end up with nothing. Yes, you're more likely to come across monsters and then beat them, but then what's the point? Your DM might not even regard XP for 'seeing a monster and then getting away from it before it does anything'.

At what point do you 'defeat' an encounter if it's, say, a wandering monster that could easily be avoided if your party would stop fucking up their stealth checks?
>>
>>51021287

An Homunculus is a minor Clay Golem.

I think I recited my recipe earlier, but basically what you need is a Manual of Homunculus, an animating spirit, Magic Clay, Magic Mandrake, and Magic Ash.

And a pint of blood from the homunculus master to be

You can get magic ash by conjuring a smoke mephit, who can also double as your animating spirit, or you can use the ash from a burn spell scroll of Find Familiar, whom doubles as your Manual of Homuculus

You can get the clay off a clay golem's corpse

You can get the mandrake usually off a coven of hags, or a Druid
>>
>>51023737
>>51023737
Lemme lend a hand.
>small > average > hardy > buffass > nonPC way2big
>Smoothskins:
>Halflings > Humans > Dwarves > Goliaths > Giants
>Greenskins:
>Goblin > Hobgoblin > Orc > Bugbear > Troll(?)
>Scaleskins:
>Kobold > Lizardfolk > Dragonborn > Half-Dragon > Dragon
>Fey:
>Gnomes > Elves > Shifter > Firbolg > Some sort of Archfey(?)
>>
>>51029523
Then what about character whose motivations aren't money? I mean, if you just reward people for being mercenary then you are using a concrete thing (Monetary wealth) rather than an abstract one (Experience from life) to gate character progression. You're not incentivizing characters to go out and do cool shit, you're incentivizing them to be greedy. Which there's nothing wrong with, but you need to realize what a structure like that will do to the whole campaign, from encounter and dungeon design down to what motivations get roleplayed.
>>
>>51029646
Damn that sucks. I just want to be a h2h fighter with none of the monk fluff
>>
>>51029723
>>51029673
Oh, I guess the point is

You could manage to avoid a whole fucking ton of monsters entirely, do a bunch of skill challenges and thought experiments to get some loot free and then escape a collapsing temple without a single fight, yet still get all the loot.

Of course, there are problems with 'gold=XP' depending on what the party wants, but there are also problems with milestones or monsters = XP; nothing's perfect.

>>51029768
You'd have to be sure what the party wants beforehand.
If the party just wants to be some sort of super cool fantasy 'beat up monsters' squad that strives not for any reward other than to look cool and cull the monster population before it does something, maybe monsters killed = XP would be better.
>>
>>51029671
>Isn't that the point of adventuring for loot?
It is if you're 12 or a retard, but it's entirely too simplistic and trivializes the breadth of character personalities and motivations that drives characters.

>>51029667
This is what I've been saying as well.
>>
>>51029783
Then ask your DM if they'll let you refluff a weapon like shortswords as some sort of gauntlet weapon. The only issue there is it might not be easy to disarm or something.

Lots of people want to punch everything, but to be honest punching is a direct downgrade to everybody aside from level 11+ monks without any magic weapons. Even a level 20 monk without fist upgrades but with a +1 magic weapon is better off using a +1 quarterstaff over their fists for their non-bonus attack.
>>
Question from retard DM

If wizards and other spellcasters can just replace lower level spells for higher level spells when they level up, is their any point of having them find spells? For example if my PCs raid a convoy and the wizard finds a certain spell in a book that he can learn. Is that pointless? I'm not sure if I'm making sense but hopefully someone gets what I mean
>>
>>51029751
>>Scaleskins:
>>Kobold > Lizardfolk > Dragonborn > Half-Dragon > Dragon

I'm actually playing a Draconic Sorcery Kobold whose goal is to one day become a real dragon
>>
>>51029811
So if you're adventuring for loot, the goal is only to get loot if you're '12 or a retard'?
I can accept you'd say 'the goal of the party in 5e might just be to get loot if you're 12 or a retard', but for fuck sake the goal of a party that solely wants loot is to get fucking loot.

Loot is directly proportional to success for them.
>>
>>51029825
Wizards cannot do that. Rather, they have something better than that, which also allows them to write down spells.
Other than wizards, everybody can change out their spells either at the start of the day or on level up.

However, you might allow somebody of the wrong class to have a spell, or somebody who cannot normally cast spells to have a spell or even have them learn a spell that isn't in the PHB.
>>
>>51029825
The point of a Wizards Spellbook is to assemble all the spells he comes across but in a day he can only use what the PHB says.

So he can have 100 spells but he can only cast the ones he's prepared.
>>
>>51029841
Or like that other anon said for greed. It completely trivializes and simplifies the personalities of the party, they don't need to care about anything else, they have no other driving motivations.

You have no incentive to do anything else. What's the point?
>>
>>51029855
>>51029860
Alright so the wizard can learn spells when he spends time putting them in his spellbook, I see that.
As for the other spellcasters there's not really a point, then? For instance the convoy example. There's no point of having a cleric or warlock find a certain spell when they can just get it later when they level up?
>>
>>51029825
only wizards can "find" spells

their academic approach to magic is represented by being able to copy down spells they "find" (usually from another wizards research)
>>
>>51029884
You have plenty of incentive to do other things.

Doing other things may win you favour, win you gold rewards or keep an ally for later.

In the same way, you could say 'killing monsters for xp but having no other XP rewards kill the incentive to do anything but fight monsters unless you have something to spend gold on. If you see a monster, you'd do best rather than to make sure it never notices you to go up and stab it repeatedly. You should find a place crawling with monsters and nuke it with spells. Heck, you could make a 10 person firing team of warlocks with repelling blast and just wipe through a forest obliterating everything you see.'
Or, for milestones, 'It doesn't actually matter what we achieve, as long as we get as far in the story as we're told to. So it's basically railroading, loot is just a bonus.'

If you want to accomodate absolutely everybody, you could do it so that you reward for just about everything, but it becomes a bit arbitrary at that point unless your DM has a very keen sense of what should be worth what XP.

There is no perfect way to do XP, it depends on what sort of thing you want for your party. If you're running a group that does constant dungeon crawls looking for ancient treasure while occasionally taking a leisure break to say hi to their mother or something, then gold for XP would be fine.

If the players are all paladins fighting for justice on their own whim without hope of reward, monstersXP.
>>
>>51029967
Nope. Only a Wizard can copy spells
>>
>>51029967
Pretty much. You could have them add the spell to their spell list as 'always known', though.

.. But it's mostly the wizard's field unless you want to turn everybody into a spellbook caster.
>>
>>51029841
I'm picturing your character as Sandal but instead of saying enchantment, you say shiny.
>>
How would I build a "bubbler"?
Someone that can protect themselves and allies by putting force field-like shields on them.

Instantly I thought about using an abjur wizard. Anyone ever play one? The ward seems a little underwhelming.
>>
>>51029997
>>51030004
>>51029973
Aight thanks bois
>>
>>51030027
You can combine the ward with 2 levels of warlock for at-will mage armour so your ward is always on max HP at the start of a fight.

That's kind of a big multiclass, but it also allows you to do armor of agathys + ward shenangians.

Honestly, otherwise, there isn't really, unless you want to refluff lore bard's 'cutting words', as it works very similar to using shield on other players. You'd need a level of wizard to get shield to use on yourself, though.
>>
Stuck between an Illusion or Conjuration Wizard.

Help me choose. I'm a Rock Gnome if that helps.
>>
>>51030054
Yeah, my other thought was doing some sort of combination with bard.
Perhaps a sorcerer bard, or a warlock bard.
Go lore bard and grab shield/shield of faith.

I'm leaning toward warlock/bard for the eldritch blast spam for when I'm not using my action helping teammates.
>>
>>51029983
Then you're changing your tune from just saying the point of adventuring is for loot.
>>
>>51030093
Conjuration for sure. Depends on your DM, but I find conjuring a small tangible object is harder for your DM to hand wave away if they don't want you to have it.

I've had far too many DMs be like "uh, they know it's an illusion because reasons." Or they at the very least, decide to check to see if it is, without reason.
>>
>>51030027
burn bendalloy and copper
>>
>>51030144
I was thinking Conjuration. Just that the last Illusionary feature is so good.

Divinitation seems pretty good also.
>>
>>51029430
Not so much weaker, it's just boring. The Warlock will usually end up casting hex and blasting everything with eldritch blast, which is fine but that's already one of your spell slots gone just to be a decent damage dealer.

Running around with one spell slot is pretty dull, especially when your party is not gonna rest after every single encounter so that other spell slot will probably be used for another Hex spell for the second encounter.
>>
>>51029983
Hence why there's talk of defeating monsters through other ways.
Also, monsters includes npcs within its definition.

But sure continue creating strawmans.
>>
>>51030191
>Just that the last Illusionary feature is so good.
I don't know about your particular situation, but for most people it takes a long while to ever get to "end features" if they even get there at all.
>>
>>51030261
Yeah that's true. I guess looking at top tier stuff isn't really a good way to create a character.

I will probably go Conjuration or Divination now. That Divination first class skill is great.
>>
>>51030218
New thread.
>>
>>51030117
Then why not reward for every single tiny little achievement?

You can do that and some do, but it doesn't actually encourage anything at all, just that you achieve something in a session. That's good and all, but it's nice to say 'Oh, I beat a big monster, I'll get a load of exp from that.' or 'Oh, I looted a whole vault, I'll get a load of exp from that.' What you're rewarded for is clearer than 'you get rewarded for everything'.

>>51030243
>strawmans
Then why has nobody responded to 'What would you get for ignoring a wandering monster that would otherwise not attack you, but you could have attacked and killed without much risk and maybe a healing tea break afterwards?'
People can feel free to ignore the points that show that monsters=XP isn't some sort of holy perfect XP grail of a system, much like the other systems aren't perfect.
Are people seriously trying to say that loot=XP is nowhere near as valid as monsters=XP? Don't people realize that 5e groups can have different goals and thus not everybody has to follow the same XP system?
>>
>>51030319
Not him, but loot and gold are it's own rewards.
>>
>>51030281
>I will probably go Conjuration or Divination now. That Divination first class skill is great.

It is great. Might irritate your DM though, haha.
>>
File: pugilist-v0-82.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
pugilist-v0-82.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>51029783
>>
File: party.jpg (46KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
party.jpg
46KB, 480x360px
>>51024622
If you don't have the appropriate holdings, manpower to protect said holdings and transportation what's the point of even having money?

Alternatively just blow all your money on enormous victory parties. Let's face it, buying magic items just makes everyone scrooges. Better to actually let them live like the rich folk.
>>
>>51024827
If he's level 32 he absolutely can save against everything, since his proficiency and saves would be enormous. Not to mention he'd have so much HP they'd likely run out of spells even if they chain CC'd him with however many spells they had and then get eaten one by one. God forbid he's a caster, since he's probably just instant wipe them if he went first. Not sure where this logic comes from, but there's no way it'd work even without pulling out the legendary resistance/action bullshit.
>>
I've been trying to create a creature for my game. It's mostly a like flesh golem made by a death cult, with parts of bodies they've been stealing from the warzone, an insatiable flesh eating humanoid giant (large) aberration. It's supposed to be the bad guy's new prototype weapon for his overlords, so I want the fight to be interesting. I thought it could have the hand of a sorcerer, so when it tries to cast a certain spell, the spell also blows off his wrist or something.

What are some cool abilities it could have to make the battle more memorable?
>>
>>51021101
I'm trying to make some shitty maps for my online D&D group, how to do you overlay a transparent grid onto an image?
Thread posts: 405
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.