[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 14

File: bgg.jpg (828KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bgg.jpg
828KB, 1000x1000px
Last thread:
>>50937556

Pastebin:
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

New Year, new chance to get more games to the table, what's on your "to be played" list? Any game related projects you're planning? Conventions to be attended?

What's the next kickstarter to be hyped so hard posters throw their backs out heaping praise on a vague suggestion of a ruleset?
>>
>>50987345
>what's on your "to be played" list?
I got Mage Knight, Doom, Space Hulk Death Angel, and Flashpoint over the break so I'd really like to break them open asap
>>
how's the replay value on the Grizzled
>>
New year, three new acquisitions by Asmodeus:

https://www.trictrac.net/actus/asmodee-fait-dans-l-acquisition

That's all, off to game day, hope we can get meatier things than for sale and code names to the table. Love those games, but I need more Mare Nostrum, damnit!

>>50988133
Pretty gud
>>
>>50987345
> New Year, new chance to get more games to the table, what's on your "to be played" list?

Want to get War of the Ring or a 2v2 war/strategy game.

> Any game related projects you're planning? Conventions to be attended?

Conventions - not really. I don't really like to be surrounded by many people.

I had an idea to make a board game based on the old starcraft Good vs Evil / Micro/Macro UMS. Basically one player in a team would be responsible for creating units, and other people on the team for fighting. I'd combine that with incomplete communication, hidden goals that only the god knows
>>
>>50988227

They got edge. Edge distributes and translates CMON games in France.

That doesnt sound good to me.
>>
>>50988383
Does this mean that Asmodee can hike the prices on CMON games in France without CMON's permission?
>>
>>50989122

Probably, but who knows ?

Maybe they'll stop supporting CMON games altogether.
>>
i just got usaopoly has anyone played i cant wait to try it
>>
>>50987345
>what's on your "to be played" list?
Mechs vs Minions, also going to finish Pandemic Legacy (we are in October). Looking forward to KD:M

> Any game related projects you're planning?
Not really, does getting game related furniture counts?

>Conventions to be attended?
AFAIK only Kingdom-Con
>>
>>50988227
I don't see any problem. Asmodee is efficient in what it does and if this allows them to get more stuff done, it's all good.
I'm also still waiting for Edge to print Eldritch Horror again (heard it was due for February) so 'maybe' it can speed things up too.
>>
>>50988383
Also to all spanish-speaking countries.
As if we needed even more price hikes.
>>
>>50989862
>Lives in a Spanish speaking country
>Order games from the land of the free with no increased prices

Feels good to live next to the border.
>>
>>50989906
Wait until the wall is built.
>>
>>50989390
>I don't see any problem
So this is how the boardgame industry dies...
>>
Is flick em up a good game to play with kids 6-8?
I kinda wanna get something the grown ups can enjoy with the kids
>>
>>50989989
If this shit results in higher prices and cartel shit, of course it's bad. But for now, according to the article, it might not be a bad thing and it seems this event was unavoidable anyway.
If you wish to boycott and stick to other enterprises/crowdfunding, it's up to you. As long as prices don't go up, it's rather fine to me.
>>
>>50990014
Haven't played it with kids but for adults it's a fun game. So I'd say yes.

For maximum fun give the adults alcohol and the kids coffee.
>>
>>50990108
Better yet, give the kids candy bars and the adults joints.
>>
>>50989906
Shipping is retarded, it's less expensive to ship shit from USA to Spain, than from USA to Mexico, and a lot of stuff like booster boxes cannot be shipped internationally.
It's specially ridiculous how there's two fedex less than 1km from each other on opposite sides of the border. The American one charges me $20+ to send stuff to Mexico City, the Mexican one charges me $4 and my shit arrives in a day.

I've also had shit shipped from Japan that arrives in 2-3 days while shit coming from the other side of the country takes weeks.
America, the land of overcharging for services more mediocre than Mexico's.
>>
>>50990237
Oh man don't tell me that, I'm waiting a job offer and I'll have to relocate to Mexico City. How is Amazon.mx for buying board games?
Hopefully I will stock up in a shit ton of games before moving.
>>
>>50990237
>Shipping from USA to a moderately alright run (if poor) Euro country with good relations costs less than shipping from USA to an systematically corrupt, second world country with horrible relations

WHAT A FUCKING SORPRESA
>>
>>50990104
>As long as prices don't go up
Yes, because that's precisely what hasn't already happened. It most definitely will not happen again.
>>
>>50990322
>Amazon.mx
Nigga, just look at the prices. It's better to buy from the real amazon and wait three milleniums for your shit to arrive.
>>50990444
The problem isn't Mexico, it's America. Shipping stuff from Mexico to Spain is cheaper and arrives faster. Shipping stuff from America to Canada is expenseive, lazy cancer as well.
>>
>>50987345
>to be played list
CO^2, TI3, Starcraft, Broom Service, Bora Bora, Dungeon Petz, Mage Wars

I keep buying stuff that never sees any play

>game related projects
I wanna build a gaming table and a crokinole board, let's see how that goes, I'm a hard line procrastinator. Also, have some PnPs for games I wanna try but no one to try them with.

>conventions to be attended
Nothing near me, not enough cash to attend any of the big names and I'll probably forget when they're coming up. I can't keep track of events for shit.

>>50989190
step it up senpai, that's bad bait

>>50990444
>not third world
It's not piss poor like fucking Uganda, but it's still on the verge of an economic and social meltdown. If it's not gone completely down the shitter is because we need cheap labor next door.
>>
>>50988383
So their plan is buying all the gaming companies that allow it, and buying the distributors or those that don't?

It's nice to see we truly are back to the 40's.
>>
>>50992664
How else are you going to expand the Empire?
>>
Somewhat new to the hobby, can someone explain the deal with Asmodee? I see they've acquired a large sum of popular titles and apparently hiked prices up as well. Have they done anything else? Any attempts to homogenize their share of the industry?
>>
>>50993072
Are you familiar with video games? Basically they are EA of our industry.
>>
>>50993072
Not just titles. They are buying publishers and distributors as well, which gives them insane leverage on how a game gets from production to consumer. They get to dictate the rules, what gets funded and produced, how the game is distributed, online retailer policies, who gets what, when and for how much, pricing and profit margins for middlemen and retailers, where the games get shipped or don't, and put a lot of pressure on the competition and ultimately, the customer.
They have gone on record saying that board games are luxury items, that they should be considered and appreciated as such and be priced accordingly, that consumers should be grateful for paying more for games that costed less in the past, because now the consumer knows it they are luxury items and that consumers should buy a single expensive luxury game than 3 or 4 competitor's games for the same price.
>>
>>50993146
Ah I see. How unfortunate.

>>50993263
Wow they sound like complete faggots. Are the games they're acquiring being produced at a higher grade of quality now, to coincide with this 'luxury items' view?
>>
>>50993263
So basically corporate dicks doing corporate dick things.
>>
>>50993263
Good thing I'm a /gd/ printing technician, illustrator and sculptor who can make his own games with blackjack and hookers.
>>
>>50993347
>Are the games they're acquiring being produced at a higher grade of quality now, to coincide with this 'luxury items' view?
Are you mad? Costs must be cut to maximize profit.
Do you even rampanth capitalism?
>>
>>50993347
>Are the games they're acquiring being produced at a higher grade of quality now, to coincide with this 'luxury items' view?
I don't know for sure but it doesn't seem like they will scale quality on par with cost.
The new editions of Ra and Tigris and Euphrates are worse and more expensive, Mansions of Madness 2e has less physical content and a ~30% price increase.
As for newer games I'm not entirely sure, got a bit disconnected since october.
>>
>>50993426
I was hoping a little too optimistically I suppose.

>>50993508
They actually cut physical components from the game? Sounds fucking gay, damn.
>>
>>50993551
It's comparing apples to oranges.

Cutting physical components from the game is true but doesn't take into the account that the game comes with an app with very high production values and must get the investment from that app back.

The productions values of what's included in the game are top notch, the game itself is also revamped.
>>
>>50993764
>>50993551
That not even counting inflation.

A standard inflation rate of 5% per year means that in 5 years something priced x will cost 1.27 x.
>>
Is there an online place with board game scans?
>>
Any of you guys know if there are Star Wars: Rebellion DIY resources available anywhere?
>>
>>50994345
Last I remember there was one on 7chan, depending what you're looking for you might find it on BGG or r/boardgames.

>>50994378
FFG stuff is reasonably hard to find, the files that's out there for use on Vassal/etc are all scrubbed of artwork, since apparently that's what they sue over, so you might find the data but then have to insert your own images to make it work.
>>
Do you sleeve your cards? And if so, which brand is the best?
>>
>>50994535
I sleeve them but I'm usually not very concerned with the brand so long as I can find something that suits the format. I favor transparent sleeves to keep the spirit of the game over customized/colored shit.
>>
I'm in the market for a dungeon crawler type game and was thinking of picking up Arcadia Quest, is it worth it, or should I grab something else?
>>
>>50995703
Isn't Arcadia Quest a 1v1 skirmish?
>>
>>50995747
PvPvE (2-4p and mobs are AI) where the mobs are loot pinatas giving you an excuse to fight each other.

>>50995703
It's not really a traditional dungeon crawler, but it's really good at what it does.
>>
>>50996010
So it's still worth the buy?
>>
>>50993764
Do you have an estimate for how much it would have cost FFG to produce, support and distribute MoM2's app?
>>
>>50996506
As a dungeon crawl? Prolly not for me, then again at this point the only thing that gives me the hack and slash I'm looking for is a straight up rpg. It's definitely worth it if you don't care about being a team though, the minis are quite nice, the combat is pretty good, and it does kinda have a campaign setup where if you're the person who wins you're choosing where to next. It's rated 8/10 on BGG and while they're a hair high for my taste, I'd say it's a fair score. It's been a while since I played though, so if you really want a good idea I'd look through the dice tower live stuff, pretty sure they did a playthrough last year.
>>
After having owned the game for about 3 months, I finally got to play my first game of Forbidden Stars. It took ~5 and a half hours from the last person arriving to the game being over, playing a 3 person game.

I had a lot of fun! It's probably the heaviest game I've played (it's definitely the heaviest non-euro, but I'm not sure how to compare it to something like Terra Mystica), and I really liked having different units that had different strengths and abilities. The other dudes on a map games in my collection are more along the lines of Kemet, where one dude = one strength and you're just adding up raw power. I also really liked the combat! The combat cards are fun to use and there's a good amount of depth there. My only real complaints are the length and the minis. The game has a lot of room for player improvement and is begging to be played at LEAST ten times, if not more, but the sheer time commitment means it's probably not gonna hit the table for another few months. As far as the minis go, the plastic is decently high quality and the ships and mechs look cool, but why is a Space Marine just a banner? Why is a scout just a flag? It couldn't have been that much more expensive to make them look like actual units, and I would have gladly paid an extra $5-10 for it.

I don't actually play 40k, so I'm not sure how faithful to the lore it is, but just as a game itself I thought it was excellent.
>>
>>50997693
Does that playtime involve teaching others how to play or is that straight playtime?
>>
>>50997759
It included teaching people to play (which didn't take that long considering the weight of the game), and also a lot of re-checking the rules for edge cases that weren't in the "learn to play" booklet. I would guess the next time we play it'll run closer to 3-4 hours.
>>
>>50997693
I've been thinking about getting forbidden stars, do you recommend it?
>>
Played Scythe for the first time tonight. It's took about 4 hours for a 3 person game. We've played Terra Mystica which is heavy but my typical group could not warp their heads around this one. Thinking I might not ever get this to the table again even though I loved it.
>>
>>50998130
4 hours? Scythe should take like, 90 minutes or so. Does one of your members have serious AP?
>>
>>50998278
This is including setup and explaining the rules which to be fair I didn't know either. But I just had to explain and reexplain the same rules which started to be annoying. But some of the intricacies of how workers moved but special abilities only effect character and mechs and moving resources was impenetrable to them.

To be fair it is the first game we've ever played in my group that has really any "dudes on a map" style anything.
>>
>>50998119
Absolutely
It's going oop so it's a no brainer to anyone with the least bit of interest and disposable income, you can just sit on it for a year and sell it for at least your money back if you end up not liking it
>>
>>50997693
No infantry sculpts because GW reasons.
>>
>>50998385
I can see that. I really like the game because it feels heavy without actually being complicated, but the rules can definitely be a mouthful. Even so, 4 hours is... excessive, to say the least. Did you explain the rules fully multiple times, or were there just a lot of questions?
>>
>>50998434
Serious question: Has GW ever made a good decision in the history of their company?
>>
>>50998792
A ton of questions, it wasn't until about 4 stars in that it clicked for one of them. The other was still kind of struggling and I understood the rules completely but was unable to effectively strategize until the end. I thought once they were comfortable with something like Terra Mystica they could hop right into most things.

It's a fun game though, I really look forward to playing it some more. Just not as noob friendly as I thought it would be.
>>
File: 1464620706329.png (437KB, 768x480px) Image search: [Google]
1464620706329.png
437KB, 768x480px
>>50987345
/kdm/ here.
Just thought you guys might like to know that Exploding Kittens has been deposed.
>>
Is it just me or is Dead of Winter like bonkers broken with regards to the betrayer? Either one way (towards the betrayer in the standard) or the other (against the betrayer in the expansion).

For the base game:
As the betrayer, you just shop/help the other people while you wait for your double turn. Then you eat all the food (-1), spike the crisis (-1), fill up the junk (-1), and shop/travel (-X). It's not uncommon to be able to get a total morale of -5 or -6. That's enough to bring down the other survivors almost no matter what. The only way the betrayer should lose is if the double-turn comes up before they can get started (i.e. it's on turn 1 & 2). But then you get yourself exiled and don't really care.

For the expansion:
Since the turn marker does not have to move, it's extremely advantageous for the non-betrayers to keep it with the same player (no one gets a double-turn). The only way it backfires is if these two conditions are both met:

1) There is a betrayer
2) The betrayer is the last player to play in a round

Assuming 6 players, 1 is about a 50/50 shot (47% of no betrayer) and 2 is a 1/6 shot, for a 6-player game, the betrayer should only be able to win without getting exiled in about 1/12 games. That means (unless you happen to be the last player), the only way to lower morale is killing other characters on your turn (either by the bite, which lowers by maximum 2 and is only 1/12 chance of happening), or killing them yourself (which requires up to 3 action dice apiece). Neither of these are not very good cases. The most you're likely to be able to reduce morale by 1-3. Anything else, and you're exiled before the morale effects can happen (from crisis, overruns, food, and junk), which negates the morale 0 condition of victory.

So what gives? Everyone says they love the game but I can't be the only one to notice this bullshit.
>>
>>50998824
They hired Tuomas Pirinen way back when.
Then they let him go, so I guess it doesn't really count.
>>
>>50999462
No, I would not like to know that.
Come back and tell me when it's an actual game up there. When it's not something that's either plastic pusher shit or lolsorandumb shit. I would like to know then.
>>
>>51000010
>plastic pusher shit
It's really a good game.
>>
>>50999462
I don't get it.
>>
Blokus or Gemblo?
>>
>>51000713
same
>>
File: 8cc42bcc.jpg (28KB, 446x348px) Image search: [Google]
8cc42bcc.jpg
28KB, 446x348px
>>50997693
>90€
>>
>>50997093
I'm assuming they outsource it.

I'm very shitty at estimating time to market but I'd say the core app is something between 40 and 60 work-months and each of the scenario about 4 work months.

I'm assuming a 4-6 person team, a single person could probably do it in one year but it wouldn't be tested as well (the biggest problem is supporting various mobile devices)

All told it's probably more because my predictions are usually underestimates.
>>
I've been seeing Kemet Ta-Seti expansion going for 30~40$, is this the normal price?
My local store sells it for 25$ in shrink.
>>
>>51000896
Jump on that, Kemet is the shit.
>>
Anyone try AEG's black box game this year?
>>
>>51000832
Wow that is a lot, but you should
>euro and usd are at parity
Oh, yeah.
It's not that bad, jump on it.
>>
>>51000905
I already ordered the base game a week ago, I just found out that the expansion is sold at my store for this cheap, so I thought I'd jump in on it.

Is it considered cheap?
>>
>>51000943
Well, I'm kinda looking for a slightly heavy strategy game but there are still dice to throw so it's not exactly what I want.
>>
>>51000956
It goes for at least $60 on Amazon.
>>
>>51000961
>slightly heavy strategy game
>no dice
Kemet.
>>
>>50987345
>To be played
Great Western Trail, friend just got it and I'm psyched to try it out. Mission Red Planet, don't know why I bought it really because I don't really need more games right now.
>Conventions
Nope
>Kickstarter
Never
>>50988133
Even if you resolve to stop playing it after winning just once, you'll be playing it for the rest of your life
>>50989122
Permission? Licensees can probably charge as high as they want (there's probably a minimum price in the contract). That said CMON could just let the current contract period expire and find someone else.
>>50993347
Prices of older games were raised at OLGS's from avg 30% off retail price to avg 15% off retail price. Amazon and other retail prices haven't changed. Some new games have idiotically high MSRPs
>>50993508
Ra's pricing was shit, but you're out of your damn mind if you think MoM2 had less content. It had fewer cards, but more plastic and cardboard than the original. And obviously there's a replacement for the cards that you're neglecting to mention
>>50995703
It's my personal favorite of that style of game
>>50999462
Finally
>>51000916
>AEG
Not even once
>>
>>51001090
>>AEG
>Not even once
I've only played Valley of Kings from them, what's the problem?
>>
File: overfed.jpg (68KB, 311x480px) Image search: [Google]
overfed.jpg
68KB, 311x480px
Got a question for the Lieutenant packs for Descent:
Some cards say "Exhaust this card after the setup of an encounter. As long as this card is exhausted [insert effect here]". Does that mean the effect is permanent? When do I have to pay the activation cost in tokens?
>>
>>51000986
The expansion goes for 60$? I saw it for 45$~30$
I got the game for ~60$ and the expansion is another 25$.
>>
>>50988133
>>50988227
>>51001090
>The Grizzled
I really wanted to get it at one point, but after seeing the gameplay it turned me off hard.

Just seems to slow and repetitive, is it really that great?
>>
>>51001200
The ones I'm seeing in that range are non-English.
Which for Kemet, admittedly, means nothing.
>>
>>51001124
They have a tendency to drop everything not Love Letter related. I'm glad they at least finished all 3 VotK games though.
>>
>>51001347
ugh, yeah, i have a bad taste in my mouth after what happened with Doomtown
>>
Pasting my team game list as a way to foster discussion.

Team game list:

> What doesn't count
Games with politics, backstabbing, unknown teams or hidden traitor mechanics, 1vMany.

Games:
> Cyclades
2v2, 3v3 or 2v2v2. Symmetric roles.
> StarCraft
Team play variant. Symmetric roles (differen races)
> Captain Sonar
team vs team, different roles
> Space Cadets: Dice Duel
team vs team, different roles
> Code Names
team vs team, party game
> Sails of Glory
technically works with literally any count
> Quartermaster General
Team vs team, n vs m | 1 >= n >= m >= 3
> Last Night on Earth
Usually a 1vMany game but can be played as team vs team with 6 or 4 players (2v4 or 2v2)
> Duel of Ages II
Duel of Ages II should fit the bill pretty well and can work with uneven player numbers if people are willing to manage more characters, has enough strategy and management involved to be considered complicated (highly variable character powers and stats, characters relying on using ranged weapons which need to be picked up and most likely traded) and also scales up to 8 players, 16 with the expansion. I believe it's currently OOP (pretty sure the Master Set is and boy is that an expansion and a half) but I imagine there will be another print run sometime this decade as the designer is working on another expansion
> 1775: rebellion
2v2

Too lazy to check the counts/verify
> 1812: The Invasion of Canada
> Arena of the Planeswalkers
> Heroscape
>>
>>51000916
Anyone who keeps wasting their money on that turd deserves to get fleeced.
>>
>>51002119
>black box 2017 has the entirety of thunderstone advance
>>
>>51001983
IIRC 1812 is 3 vs 2
>>
>>51001124
Well wrt the Black Box it's always a disappointment and I have no idea why AEG even tries anymore. Also Chad Marler recently made a hilarious video about the stupidity of their Planes, Trains, and Automobiles expansion box.

They are the most boneheaded publishers in board gaming
>>
>>51001209
People always seem to play it slower than it needs to be. The gameplay doesn't really get repetitive because you'll always have new combinations of hard knocks active at a given time. Mission cards from the expansion help too
>>
>>51001173
I haven't played that game but the card says that while it's exhausted you get its effect. It then says that the card doesn't un-exhaust normally, it has some other condition (I'm on my phone, the reply box is covering your post, and I have the memory of a goldfish) that you have to meet to un-exhaust it. So I'd guess that as long as the card was exhausted you would get its effect but if you ever un-exhaust in the you'd have to do whatever the game requires you to exhaust cards.

Hopefully that made sense, I literally just woke up
>>
>>50990444
>second world country
that means they supported the USSR during the cold war.
>>
>>51002299
>stupidity of their Planes, Trains, and Automobiles expansion box
It would be less stupid if Planes wasn't a godawful piece of shit, but yeah AEG has made some dumbass decisions over the years.
>>
>>51002429
Thank you but I already found the solution. The wording is very poor, it should be written "if you decide to use this kind during an encounter, exhaust it after the setup of the encounter."
In other words, you decide if you want to use the card, you pay the cost in Threat tokens (the downer right corner) and you exhaust it during the encounter until either side wins the encounter.

Descent does have confusing wordings sometimes.
>>
>>51003578
Rock on anon
>>
>>51003578
I've been waiting for BookDepository to restock on Descent for a while now, really want to get my hands on that game.

I know its already finished a reprint and its "On the boat" according to the FFG website, does anyone knows how fast bookdepo restocks stuff once they hit stores?
>>
>>51003944
Honestly, the first (and only) time I've played it so far, it was for a one-shot test and I didn't find the game very fun and pretty constraining when you are the Dark Lord because you got 4 players against you alone and the heroes are pretty resilient, but I think this is probably because this more a "DM with his players" type of game and the introduction scenario really does seem to favor the players by a large margin.
>>
>>51004088
I remember seeing a review where someone said that playing as the Overlord, your job is to make sure the game is fun for the players.

Finding the balance between completely stomping them or letting them steamroll over you and win.
>>
>>51004148
That's the spirit I intend to have for the campaign I'm preparing right now (memorizing all the rules, finding suitable bgm and shit is pretty difficult during exams) and I really want to try my hand at DM'ing for the first time.
But the first scenario was really a steamroll for them. I only gathered 2 out of the 7 tokens that constituted my only way to win while they cornered my monsters in about 6 turns or so.
>>
>>50999535
Not that anon but can anyone comment on this? I've wanted to get a dead of winter game but if it's as broken as this guy says then I'll have to pass on it
>>
>>51004341
He's highlighting the right issues, and they're certainly significant in the base game, but the long night's initiative rule combined with appropriately difficult scenarios seems to be about right.
Still think I prefer BSG though, since it actually encourages minor acts of sabotage over the course of the game instead of just saving up for an alpha strike, but BSG's a little harder to teach and generally plays a little longer.
>>
>>51004502
Speaking of sabotaging, what do you guys think about Saboteur? I remember playing the game a few years ago and kinda remember it was fun with the guys I played with but I might be mistaken.
>>
File: 1554357.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
1554357.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
>>51004682
A few here have mentioned liking it, and I got a copy for xmas but haven't broken it out yet. Maybe this thursday.
>>
>>51004743
Oh so you left the expansion out? I thought the expansion was pretty much a must-have.
>>
>>51004768
That's what I've heard, so it's in the mail, a cousin got me the base game.
>>
>>51005054
Okay, I'll be waiting for your feedback then.
>>
>>51004682
>>51004743
I've played it a few times in the past, it's a decently fun game. Gameplay is pretty simple and there is some deduction involved but about halfway to three quarters of the way through you usually can tell who is who.
>>
Holy shit, I just got my first game of Targi, and it's even better than I expected. Amazing game in a tiny package, I can easily see it becoming one of my favorites.
Tryng to be objective tho,I am kind of dazzled by the novelty, let's see how it stands after I get a few more plays under my belt.

>>51005054
Saboteur's pretty solid by itself, the expansion adds digger teams, some extra roles and a couple twists that are nice, but may complicate the game a bit.
>>
>>51004743
Have you already gotten New Angeles to the table? How is it?
>>
File: 1554358.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
1554358.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
>>51006372
Not yet, everyone wanted to do Kemet last week instead. Hoping I can get NA on the table with four this week.
>>
>>51006810
Can't wait for my Kemet to arrive.
Any tips for the first run?
>>
>>51007238
Not really, there's very few strategic traps other than just turtling indefinitely, almost anything can work if you're clever about it. Just keep your eyes peeled for openings, they're usually easier to pounce on than most people expect at first, and don't get too attached to troops, reinforcements are cheap.

Highly recommend adopting the expansion's bidding with attack cards for control of initiative at the start of each day even if you're playing without the rest of the expansion.
>>
What sleeves should I use for Arena of the Planeswalkers army cards?
>>
Would you guys mind recommending a few good games for me? I'm looking to pick up a new game or two.

My group and I play a lot of Race/Roll for the Galaxy and Lords of Waterdeep, and we semi-frequently play Dominion, Splendor, Dale of Merchants, Sentinels of the Multiverse, and Imperial Settlers. One of the other guys also recently got Clank and Marco Polo and those seem good but we've only played them a couple times each.

I'm flipping through Board Game Geek and there are some interesting ones, but I or one of my friends already has each of the ones that really jump out at me.
>>
>>51006810
You like Kemet? What are some alternatives?
>>
>>51008914
I do like Kemet.
What alternatives I'd recommend depend on how many people you're interested in playing with and what things make you not want to play kemet and what you like about it enough to want something that's an alternative instead of something completely different,
>>
I was finally able to give space hulk death angel a playthrough and I got my shit pushed in. But man, was it intense and fun
>>
>>51004682
I've played it a few times and I love it with the expansion. Without, it's good but it's pretty simplistic (you can't make it better than a 3v2). But with the expansion, it breaks up the non-sabateur faction enough that it's pretty even.
>>
Any opinion about the Grifters card game from Indie Boards & Games? Or should i just get Dominion for some drafting
>>
played Twilight Struggle in a board game cafe today. Neither of us had ever played it before so I took the USSR.

Start of turn 5 my opponent headlined the Cuban Missile Crisis lowering defcon to 2 and I headlined Duck and Cover, thinking this was a good time to get it out whilst defcon was low risk and he would get very few VPs. This of course lowered the defcon rating to 1, nuclear war, meaning I lost the game by triggering a nuclear war all the way from defcon 5 on the headline phase of a turn.

Fun game in all.
>>
What games do you guys recommend for <£20?

I dig Eurogames mostly. Not sure if Quantum qualifies as one but that's probably my favourite.
>>
How hard is Terra Mystica to learn?
I'm interested in playing an empire bulind type game but the most complex thing I've played is just betrayal at house on the hill
>>
>>51011900
As with most things, largely depends on the person. None of the people I played it with had any real trouble understanding the rules (save for forgetting some details occasionally), including people brand new to board games. But then again they're all nerdy STEMfags and into PnP and their piles of rulebooks, so your mileage may vary.
It is on the heavier side of euros though. It's not as complicated as some make it out to be, but there are far gentler gateways if you're looking for a smooth transition.
>>
>>51011900
TM has a lot of rules but is very elegant to play. I would say that actually reading the rulebook might take you 45 minutes or so, but once you set up the board and take your first turn it'll all fall into place very quickly.
>>
>>51008891
You might like Archipelago and Scythe, based off what you mentioned.

I'd suggest trying some games totally different from what you normally play, at a boardgame cafe or something. Captain Sonar and Neuroshima Hex maybe. If you like RftG try a 4X maybe. Eclipse is pretty intuitive if you've already played a lot of euros.
>>
Got Abyss recently it's pretty good.
>>
>>51011900
Not terribly complicated, there's many rules and the game is fiddly, but it just clicks together after a few rounds of play.
The hardest part to grasp IMO is the unintuitive cycling bowl magic power system. It's sort of a parallel minigame you play, pushing purple discs around three chambers, in hopes that maybe sometime it'll help you in the main game. Then it does and it's worth it. Mostly.
>>
>>51012194
Yeah, that'd be my opinion on it too. It seems very daunting on paper since there's so many various mechanisms, but it all works together surprisingly smoothly. Takes a while to explain, but it's fairly straightforward once you do it.
Probably the key things are to make sure everyone understands how mana works, what's the difference between direct and indirect neighbors and that everyone remembers you can't reach the tenth place in a cult without a city.
>>
>>51009039
Well I'm looking for a good dudes on a map game with compelling combat. It can have economy aspects but I want the focus to be fighting.
>>
What are some opinions on Bang the dice game? Is it a good game or not worth it?
>>
>>51012836
Better than the card game, don't get the Walking Dead version (printed vs engraved dice), really nice filler, if you're only going to have one dice chucker though KoT will prolly last you longer. It's good return on your money though for sure.
>>
>>51012836
My group enjoys hidden roles better than monster brawls, Also Bang serves 8 and since it's a bit simpler, without having a ton of powers up for purchase, it's easier for my drunken friends to stay in the game. It's been a big success every time it hit the table.
>>
>>51012442
All I read was "Kemet, Kemet, Kemet". Go get it already.
>>
>>51012921
KoT?
>>
>>51013365
King of Tokyo.
>>
What are some good boardgame podcasts
>>
>>51012231
I've heard about Scythe, and it's on my list of games to look more closely at. It's got a $110 price tag, plus $20 shipping, so I'd want to be completely sure I was getting something I'd like.

Neuroshima Hex is alright, but it just didn't click with me for whatever reason.

I tried Eclipse once, a while ago, and I remember liking it, but I don't remember a lot of details. It was also on my list of games to look more closely at.

I'll have to look into Archipelago and Captain Sonar, though, thanks.
>>
>>51012231
>>51014719
Also, are you familiar at all with Terraforming Mars? It looks promising.
>>
>>51012442
Pretty much that.
I also really like Rex, but it's more political. Great combat system though.
Blood Rage is okay, but the combat kinda takes a backseat to drafting and action timing.
Cry Havoc has a really fun combat system but a lot of people soured on it fast around here due to some of the surrounding mechanisms feeling a little too restrictive and races being a little pigeonholed.

Get Kemet.
>>
>>51012442
You'd probably enjoy Forbidden Stars too, or Starcraft
>>
Is the pathfinder adventure card game fun or a waste of time?
>>
I need your help guys. I'm looking for a board game that hasn't yet been translated from English to French and whose rulesheet is available on the internet.
It's not for playing, it's for a translation assignment.
>>
>>51017418
You mean officially?
Because basically every game has been translated to French on BGG.
>>
>>51017450
Yes, officially. I need a game that hasn't yet been edited in French. The rulesheet must be about 1500 characters long if possible so not a dictionnary. If longer, I'll shorten things.
>>
>>51017542
Any of GMT's COIN series. The books are thick af and they're half rules text half historical background, so you can pick and choose.
>>
>>51017635
Bonus! Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar is set in France.
>>
>>51012836
It's good fun for how cheap it is. The expansion makes it better in my opinion, giving you options with what dice you roll and adding a role for the first player knocked out that doesn't make things too crazy.
>>
File: 1376930091738.jpg (88KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1376930091738.jpg
88KB, 500x667px
>Pull out Seasons
>2 new players plus me and my friend who I played it with before
>Start explaining the rules
>Me: "So here's an example of a card, the top left is how many points it scores you at the end of the game for being on your field, the top of the text down here is how much it cost to play it, the text bel..."
>Friend: "You get energy from rolling the dice at the start and what dice you roll depends on the season!"
>Me: "...As I was saying, the text below the cost is what it does. There's 3 symbo...."
>Friend: "And you also have a power where you can change mana but it comes with a penalty at the end of the game."
>The explanations continue like this
>Ask him to stop and just let me teach the game
>He apologized and seemed to stop to let me speak
>I get literally one sentence before he starts explaining more stuff way out of order and in his own way

God damnit, I take pride in how well I can teach a game. I research like I'm studying for a test all the rules and come up with ridiculously efficient ways of teaching everything and getting us playing with as little hassle as possible. I put like an hour or 2 into each game just studying the rules so no one else has to, setting up dummy games and learning all the nuances and learning what to teach and when. I hate to sound like an autist but when you start teaching random shit out of order you might as well just be putting all that hard work through the shredder. I saw him doing this with someone else recently as well. I just never realized how awful he is about this because usually if I'm playing a game with him, it's usually not one both of us played before.
>>
>>51006810
Had this question in an earlier thread.

Is this the board state from your game? How do you play like that?

In my games of Kemet everybody goes around with full strength troops and everything else than that is like painting cross-hairs on them. Even a 4 strength troop is an invitation to attack because you "win by default" with the 4/0/1 card (sans upgrades).

On that picture I see 2 troops that are just begging to be attacked and additional 2 ones when somebody has "open gates"
>>
>>51018577
That's not two troops, those beige pieces are extra dudes. It's an expansion power.
And those other two troops have the Devourer with them, you don't fuck with the Devourer if you have Open Gates because if you have Open Gates and enough move power to get to an opponent city from your own, and ways to power up your own dudes, it's already three turns in and you'r almost certainly rebuilding your forces.
>>
>>51011900
I categorize TM as a game which is difficult only on the first play-through.

Some games are simple even on the first play - Imperial Settlers, Love Letter, Welcome to the Dungeon

Some games are hard on the first play but it's all that it takes to learn it - Terra Mystica, Night Fall.

Some games are fiddly and need multiple play-throughs to get them and sometimes you still fall into the trap of forgetting about something.

That's nothing to say about playing it optimally.

In particular - there's lot of going on in Terra Mystica that you have to remember.

That terrain type matters, you can transform using spades (which you can only use up to terraform to your home terrain and cannot split them unless you do that).

Then you mention round bonuses, gaining a bonus for being "X high" on specific cult track, bonus card bonuses.

Then you have to go through the magic, how you gain it, how you can sacrifice it, how it goes through the "bulbs", what can you spend it on.

Then you have to mention shipping, adjacency and "semi-adjacency"

Then you have to mention priests.

Then you have to mention favors.

Then you have to mention how to upgrade buildings.

There's probably a lot I'm missing here and that's already a lot to take into (and remember from turn to turn)
>>
>>51018705
I was talking about the 2 unit troop with the scorpion and the 3 unit troop with the devourer.

I don't understand your comment about devourer and open gates. I was talking about the fact that black has 2 weak troops in his city that are giving away free VPs to anyone with open gates.

The Devourer isn't that special it's only +2 strength after all. Teal can easily beat him (5 vs 3) as well as blue (6 vs 5) and red (7 vs 5) on their turns (assuming that their powers are same-ish) - just looking at the board state.

In games with my group you don't leave troops like that on the board because someone who CAN - WILL fuck you over.
>>
>>51018923
>2 troop with scorp
Obviously planning on using that +5 strength -2 dudes combat card to kill himself while also blocking entrance to the temple and depriving the opponent of a VP.
>3 unit troop with devourer
There are so many powers he could have which would make him a less-than-attractive target that I won't bother listing them.
>>
>>51018993
Teal also seems to have the blood skill and strength on defense skill, and is hard on red, meaning that he might also have Initiative. Devious strat, bet he's the eventual winner.
>>
>>51018993
>>51018993

>>2 troop with scorp
> Obviously planning on using that +5 strength -2 dudes combat card to kill himself while also blocking entrance to the temple and depriving the opponent of a VP.

If only someone could I dunno teleport to the temple. That would be great.
If only suiciding deprived an oponent of a VP.

At this moment:

> red vs blue
card(5) + units(2) + scorpion(2) = 9
card(3-5) + units(5) + scarab(2) = 10 - 12

> teal
card(5) + units(2) = 7
card(3-5) + units(5) = 8-10

Both can get a VP from this. He could play cars with blood but there's plenty of
shields on card that have 3 strenght (and that's the tipping point you need)

>3 unit troop with devourer
There are so many powers he could have which would make him a less-than-attractive target that I won't bother listing them.

And there are so many powers that opponents could have that would make him more-then-attractive target than I won't bother listing them.
I'm assuming that everybody kept up with the upgrade war. I'm just asking what are your positional heuristics and how do you guys play Kemet because that setup is very alien to my eyes. We might have been playing the game wrong, we might have stumbled on better tactics on accident.

I'm just curious.
>>
>>51019120
>If only someone could I dunno teleport to the temple. That would be great.
And then get attacked by red.
>If only suiciding deprived an oponent of a VP.
Last I checked everyone agreed so, but that was a year or two back admittedly.
>>
>>51019177
AFAIK:
strength(Attacker) > strenght(Defender) AND attacker has at least 1 unit left
Attacker wins

This is reversed with the blue power tile. Killing units but not winning the battle doesn't give a VP.

Red can either attack a full strength troop at the temple or a 2 strenght troop outside of it.

I've only seen 2 strength troops when people wanted to counter initiative... and that didn't end well.
>>
>>51019177
Additionally, Red cannot attack someone in the temple because that scropion troop is blocking the way (unless he teleports there himself).
>>
>>51019299
I meant teal.
It's almost 4 am over here so I'll just give you the argument.
>>
>>51019447
We can continue the discussion tomorrow. Or not ;).
>>
>>51018000
I agree with you completely, I'm the same way. Before I teach a new game to friends I'll spend hours rehearsing how to teach it in my head until I get the perfect order down and I know when the best time to bring up everything. Then one of my friends will usually interrupt with other rules or gameplay that I hadn't gotten to yet and it takes all I have not to throttle him
>>
>>51018000
>>51019963
Usually it suffices to ask "Do you want to explain?" To someone in my group for that shit to end.

My (ex)gf was very cocky when I tried to explain something asked her that she started explaining, couldn't and never spoke up after that.

My biggest gripe is when new people start asking for stuff that's out of order. Because they're so interested by some thing on the card or map. Or start asking about tactics.

Though maybe I'm shit at explaining stuff in order people want.
>>
>>51020352
Just say "I'll get to that later." and that is enough.
>>
>>51020352
With my friend he would take over but he's so random when he explains things that people stay confused throughout the whole thing.

I can deal with people asking questions out of order. That just tells me that they're invested in learning. Usually what I do is if the question is way out of order then I'll tell them that I'll get to their question in a little bit after I explain some other things, otherwise I'll answer their question
>>
>>51020352
The problem is I feel like my friend would actually take over explaining the game but then do an awful job at it. For example, in seasons I don't even teach the middle player powers thing until after the first round because then people have an idea what they're good for and no one would ever use them on their first turn anyways. He'll try to make you understand everything in one go, not really point anything out visually for anyone, and never makes clear the goal of the game.
>>
>>51020488
Interject during his explanation the same way he did.

Or you know, do away with any passive aggressiveness and talk like adults.
>>
>>51020567
Not that guy but that only works when the other person is an adult (and I'm not speaking legally here)
>>
>>51020567
1. Fighting fire with fire. My goal is to teach the game to these people, not win my personal war.
2. As mentioned in my story, I did tell him to stop. For some reason even when he says he'll stop, he just keeps on doing it like a bad habit.
>>
>>51020889
Snark aside, chances are if you interject politely and patch up any missing parts he may have overlooked, supplementing instead of "I have the loudest voice, listen to me!", he probably wouldn't mind, and the new players probably wouldn't care as long as they can keep up with the rules explanation (which is where you come in, and make sure they understand).
>>
File: victory_chainsaw.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
victory_chainsaw.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>51018577
Yeah, weak troops are of course appetizing VP snacks, but with just 14 guys to spread between attacks, holding temples, and occupying your own pyramids, some concessions always have to be made - one of the reasons open gates is so strong is because it gives you access to the most likely locations to have single troop counts.

>>51018923
>>51018993
No one was going after black at this point because I (red) was at 9vp out of 10 at the start of this day and everyone else was ~6, and they erroneously thought it would be easier to block me than catch me.
The two unit army with the scorpion is the remains from attacking me (red) in the adjacent unoccupied temple, which I won with all my troops destroyed, winning 2VP from a combination of the defensive victory tile and a defensive victory priest power

>>51019120
I'd started the day defending the two center temples with five strength troops, that each had a +2 monster with them (beetle/sphinx). Additionally, I had the +1 defensive strength blue tile, the +1 strength always red tile, the -1 attack troop black spikes tile, and the black +1/+1/+1 tile. And initiative, but I only used it once since I was going full defense at that point.

Wound up at something like 12vp at the end with the next closest player at 8.
>>
>>51021243
If it was his game, I'd let him have all the say on how to teach it. I like teaching my games though and I like having everyone understand the rules by the end of turn 1. I don't like 3 turns later having to reiterate the rules because he went out of order and just dumped it all on them like truck hoping they'd just retain it all with no context. I can't fix order by just randomly interjecting myself in. That's just furthering the problem.
>>
How do I into sleeving one night ultimate werewolf
>>
>>51021834
Spray can varnish.
>>
>>51021834
there's these 10-gallon black plastic sleeves, you can use a single one to sleeve the entire thing in one go, box and all
>>
>>51022277
Can I also sleeve myself in it?
>>
>>51022428
If you try hard enough you can
>>
I finally got to play one of the games I've heard brought up a lot but never tried before: Carcassonne.

I have to say, for such a dry theme it feels a lot more random than I was expecting. You setup plans and whether they pan out seems to rely extremely heavily on not only your draw but 3 other peoples draw. Is most of the strategy just knowing the tiles and knowing how to press your luck? That's what it felt like to me. I walked into this hoping for tile laying but more depth. Ended up strangely walking out feeling like it had even less depth than Galaxy Trucker. I suppose I shouldn't expect very much depth if it got so widely popular but the theme and art made me expect something classier.
>>
>>51015912
Got the idea from another anon in an earlier thread, you can try out the app for free first beforehand to see how it plays. I lucked out because I traded BAHOTH for the base set plus an adventure pack and character expansion. Haven't had a chance to play the actual game but I like the app so far.
>>
>>51021834
Try Mayday's 66x91mm sleeves. They might not be the best fit, but they do the job. I used the ones with textured backs, so they feel nice to the touch.
>>
>>51023875
Cheers anon
>>
>>51023328
I really love carcassone but luck does play a hand in the game; if you only draw roads on your turn then there's no chance you have to win. That being said one of my favorite parts of the game is taking the tiles you get and trying to weasel your way into another player's city/farm/road or thinking of a way to lay down your tile so that in a few turns you'll be able to sneak in one extra Meeple onto a city/farm/road to try and take the lead from someone else. I also love trying to figure out a way to weasel my way out of a predicament another player had put me in. Usually when I play if I don't win then I'm within 10 or so points from the winner and while there may be a few turns where luck can really skew a game, usually it can be mitigated by strategy
>>
Just got my shipping notification for The Others: 7 Sins. I'm hoping to get it to the table within a week or so.

Still need to get through Time Stories though...
>>
Does anyone want to sell me on Mage Knight?

It's really highly rated, and one of the only games I'm interested in playing solo, but the crunchiness is intimidating. Should I just set aside a day for learning it by myself? I assume you can't just learn as you play.
>>
>>51021250
Thanks.

I guess if the game degenerated into 4v1 it makes sense to not care about black.

It still makes me think our groups have different play-styles (though we play to 8VPs)
>>
I've been trying to think of a game that I could play with both of my parents but I could use some help. My mom has played a few games with me and she has enjoyed playing light games like Hanabai, Tsuro, and Welcome to the Dungeon. My dad on the other hand isn't really into board games but he has played and enjoyed Tsuro, and Welcome to the Dungeon. Any ideas?
>>
>>51025779
Barbarossa

Non sarcastic answers:
Love Letter
Pandemic
Kingdom Builder

Probably stretching it:
Imperial Settlers
>>
Going back to Asmodee for a sec:
>>50993263
>They have gone on record saying that board games are luxury items, that they should be considered and appreciated as such and be priced accordingly, that consumers should be grateful for paying more for games that costed less in the past, because now the consumer knows it they are luxury items and that consumers should buy a single expensive luxury game than 3 or 4 competitor's games for the same price.

Can I get a link for that? Would love to read the source.
>>
>>51023867
Thanks anon, I'll give it a shot
>>
File: 555-come-on-now-1687205.png (133KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
555-come-on-now-1687205.png
133KB, 500x522px
>>51018000
>>51020352
>mfw my friends do this
I usually give it 3 seconds of silence after they're done talking, just to be an asshole about it, and then continue
For Christmas they bought me a snapback with KUSH on the front and weed leaves all around the sides, supposedly so they can focus on me properly while explaining a game...
>>
>>51026423
Whatever works I guess
>>
>>51025957
I'm not that anon, but I found this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/4aqp5g/anton_torres_of_asmodee_north_america_states_that/
>>
>>51025128
My copy came in the mail last week but I haven't had a chance to break it open yet. The rule books look intimidating but I figure spending a day learning the rules should be sufficient
>>
>>51025034
After getting some more plays in I'm starting to see the appeal. It's tempting, maybe put it on the middle of my wishlist. It would be a hard sell though. I love tile laying and now that I know what to expect, there's a good deal of fun being sneaky. I have however felt the unfun sting of drawing all the tiles I don't want in a row. I could also see a slow end without the app just adding everything up. Glad though to learn another game.
>>
can someone rec me a 1v1 board game for some casual kitchen table gaming?
>>
>>51026884
Those are valid points. The last two or three turns are usually anticlimactic because by then you usually know who the top two or three are. Counting takes five minutes tops, I don't find that too bad but you may disagree
>>
>>51026996
Onitama
>>
>>51026996
Dominion.

Android: Netrunner if you want something with more girth.
>>
>>51027040
>>51027057
thanks, i'll look those up
>>
>>51026996
Flick em up
>>
>>51026624
I am that anon, and I meant eactly that, the FFG dude was appointed to relay Asmodee's new policies at events, interviews and press conferences in 2016 Gen Con; the dice tower interview is on youtube and you can see Chaz give the guy a hard look of disbelief.
>>
>>51026996
I have 3 games I use for 2 player:
Onitama - 10 minute chess, gets to the meat of the action way faster.
Star Realms - A fun light deckbuilder.
Baseball Highlights 2045 - Another deckbuilder, very specific to Baseball fans though.

Soon to come out: Santorini. Another abstract strategy that can be as simple as the base mechanics or full of a lot of fun and surprisingly well balanced character powers.
>>
>>51027057
How does Android: Netrunner compare to Shadowrun: Crossfire?
>>
>>51027579
Pretty much totally different games other than being cyberpunk.
Crossfire is a deckbuilder like dominion (with machine guns and cyberdwarves) and cooperative, working with the other players to puzzle your way through obstacles.

Netrunner is a constructed deck (like mtg) 1v1 game with really strong asymmetry and lots of hidden information.

I was a little dissapointed with crossfire, but that's no surprise, I don't like co-op in general. Does have some cool stuff going on, but beating every enemy feels more like a small puzzle than a fight. Maybe a plus depending on what you want.

Netrunner is a peronal favorite, though I can't really be assed to take the competitive scene seriously, I just show up to local tournaments to throw random jank at the wall and see what sticks and how much salt I can shake loose, and play casually with the wife/brothers/friends.
>>
Do you consider dice towers useful?
>>
>>51027201
Targi, Jaipur, Kahuna, Lost Cities, The Duke, Project GIPF, 7 Wonders Duel, Patchwork, BattleLine, Blue Moon, Kahuna

Most of these are card games or games with relatively small boards, that are easy to set up and break down.
>>
>>51027670
I've noticed that Shadowrun Crossfire is out of stock everywhere and is going for $400 on amazon. Did it go out of print. I can't find anything about it online.
>>
>>51027579
>>51027670
It should be noted that while Netrunner does have constructed decks, it's not a CCG like Magic, since I know that can scare off some kitchen table gamers. Rather it's an LCG. No randomness in which cards you acquire, since the base set and all expansions include every card they introduce.
>>
>>51027850
I'm completely fine with that. It sounds good actually.
>>
>>51027807
>$400 on amazon
What the hell?
Gave a friend a copy three christmases ago and it's still sitting at my place with a single play.
That's pretty high for just between print runs, though catalyst have been known to let stuff sit for a long time without a reprint.

>>51027737
Depends on the size of your table. On a crowded little kitchen affair or coffee table where there's little room for the dice to not disrupt the board proper, they can be handy. On a big monster of a table they're way more trouble than they're worth.

>>51027901
It's a great game, though buying into the whole thing can still be pretty expensive with the sheer volume of cards out now. Absolutely recommend picking up the core set if you're interested though, it's fairly cheap and there's a lot of game there even if you never feel the urge to expand.
>>
>>51027952
When you go to a tournament do you bring both corporate and runner decks or do you sign up as one or the other?
>>
>>51028014
You bring both, and each match you roll off for who plays which first, then switch. Generally you have ~1 hour to finish both games.
>>
>>51027952
>That's pretty high for just between print runs, though catalyst have been known to let stuff sit for a long time without a reprint.
My LGS had it on sale for 40$ over Christmass. I'm kind of wishing I bought it now.

>>51028041
Ah, that sounds good. I love cyberpunk I'll probably end up getting both at some point.
>>
>>51028041
Do all of the expansions have different backs like MtG where you have to get sleeves with solid color backs or is it all the same so you can just use clear sleeves?
>>
>>51026792
Rule book is trash, watch a YouTube walk through
>>
>>51028138
MtG doesn't have different backs
>>
>>51028300
Then why do its players insist on solid color backed sleeves?
>>
File: kingdom_death_monster_00.jpg (978KB, 1920x931px) Image search: [Google]
kingdom_death_monster_00.jpg
978KB, 1920x931px
>Coming home from work
>Pretty fucking good day
>Mirin the next game to buy as a present to myself and my good life
>Can't decide between Scythe and Neuroshima Hex
>Reading some reviews here and there
>Someone mentions Kingdom Death: Monster
>What the fuck is this
>Read about it
>MFW
Holy fuckign shit I want this so bad. I was having a fucking good day today and now I see this shit in my face that I cannot buy at all.
>>
>>51028360
They don't? Usually you sleeve your deck in one color so it's easily differentiated from your other decks.
>>
>>51028360
There are some special double sided cards that sleeves help with, but even those have official proxies with regular backs. My play group used clear penny sleeves on our less valuable decks. The better, solid color sleeves are better to shuffle, better at protecting the cards, and look nicer, so there's every reason to use them, but different backs on different sets is not a thing.
>>
>>51028397
Oh, okay. So do people do that for netrunner as well?
>>
>>51028406
Ah, okay. I always used clear before was just wondering.
>>
>>51028389
Not only is this shit expensive as fuck but it looks very complicated. I took a look at the KS and shit, it's fucking huge.
Awesome job on the figures though.
>>
>>51028138
All corp cards have the same blue back and all runner cards have the same red back. Promo alt art cards have a slightly different tint due to different manufacturing processes, if you're using those you have to use opaque sleeves in tournament play. Other than that you're good with whatever the hell you want.
>>
>>51028389
oh, but you can get it, anon!
5 days left to back it, it's already debunked exploding kittens as the top Kickstarter gaming project
>>
>>51028750
Yeah, for the low low price of 300 bucks.
It's too expensive, I cannot justify it, esecially for something that I'm buying out fo hype and feelings.
>>
>>51029090
I'm gonna resell the minis in the gambler's chest to pay for the core game, if things go my way, I'll get all $300 back and get to keep the game.
Or just play it on TTS, game is alright.
>>
File: ass_bruce.jpg (555KB, 1118x750px) Image search: [Google]
ass_bruce.jpg
555KB, 1118x750px
Hey /vp/, I'm selling basically all my MtG cards cause I'm tired of the game and the CCG format. Currently getting into the board game hobby in a big way and found LCGs which I think are fantastic.

There are a few on my radar right now: Ashes, Netrunner, and Doomtown.

What's your feel for these games? Ashes seems the most appealing to me but that might be because the Su&Sd review sold me on it and I too have autism and like nice dice.

Anyway, thoughts, opinions, guidance, any other LCGs you'd recommend?
>>
>>51029090
As of right now I am $830 deep on this game. Did my parents not raise me right?
>>
>>51029192
Only tried android netrunner and it's pretty fucking good. I wish I could get my retarded ass friends into it. Instead they keep talking abut how much money they are going to get when they pull out tarmogoyfs in the next modern masters thingy.
>>
>>51029192
out of those 3 you mentioned only netrunner is still kicking and alive. Doomtown got canned oct of the past year and Ashes hasn't received any news about incomming expansions or big boxes in a while.

the other games that kind still alive are Game of Thrones 2nd edition and Arkham Horror, and this one is the most recent one in being released.
>>
>>51029248
Ugh dude that makes me want to blow fucking chunks all over my keyboard. I'm about to call up my LGS tomorrow and dump my collection on them after selling the good shit on TCG Player. Just the though of paying more that cents for a single cards is making me dizzy and my body burn with shame that I even spend money on this garbage.
>>
>>51029152
That sure sounds like some gambler thing anon
>>51029231
Well, if you have the cash it's cool I guess. Honestly I could afford it but fuck spending all that money in just one game man. I can see myself having some minor issue with it and instantly dropping it, I'm retarded like that

Instead I will but Scythe I think. 63 euros seems like a pretty swell deal, even if it's missing the coins.
>>
>>51029192
They're all pretty good, but I definetly like netrunner best of the three, most unique and most interesting. That said, it's also the most expensive to get up to speed in, Doomtown is done and over, and Ashes has a REALLY slow release schedule, so those are probably a bit easier to get into.
>>
>>51029192
oh yeah I almost forgot but Mage Wars is kinda also an LCG. you have Arena (which is the most complex one) and Academy (more streamlined and simple to learn)
>>
>>51029288
Netrunner looks like it has the biggest following, with a big community backing it. The theme just doesn't hold much water for me which really sucks because I want to get real into one of these.

AFAIK Ashes is in the middle of some corporate bind. There was a update late last year saying once the red tape was sifted through, they would drop a new expansion and an OP kit, though idk if this still makes it worth picking up over Netrunner.

Should I buy both core boxes and see for myself?
>>
>>51029290
Same guy, I have Scythe, it's nice but none of my friends are heavy into this stuff like I am. I can't wrap my head around the Automata though. Anyway KD is an instant buy for the fact that I can play it ... alone!
>>
>>51029231
Senpai, I wish I had that kind of cash. Had to set a hard $350 limit on my pledge.
>>
>>51029354
is all entirely up to you boy.
personally I loved the shit out of Doomtown but sad things happens so now I can only play with friends. I don't have much experience on Ashes so i can't talk about the subject.
>>
>>51029354
Oh yeah I almost forgot but there's also the Star Wars LCG (not much of my attention) and the Lord of The Rings LCG. the benefit with the latter one is that there's not such a thing like preasure to get the lastest shit. so you can keep updating the game as you feel so.
>>
>>51026884
It's better with the first couple of expansions if you haven't tried them, makes the game feel more complete for a lot of people.
>>
what is the general opinion towards rivals for catan here?
>>
>>51032196
Been here for 4 years, this is the only mention of it I recall.
>>
>>51032505
Huh, interesting. I've been playing it recently and I've found it enjoyable.
>>
>>51033948
What is it?
>>
>>51034018
It's just the rereleased version of the Catan card game. Two people build a principality in Catan using cards from various themed decks. I haven't played Settlers so I don't know how it compares.
>>
Star Wars Rebellion is unavailable from FFG and from Amazon. There are a number of third party sites who seem to have it, so there's that, but still. FFG also doesn't seem to be indicating any reprints for...well, anything Star Wars, unless the reprint's already been in the works for a while. Even the new game Destiny is out of stock with FFG and not set for a reprint.

Is FFG about to lose the Star Wars license? Are they just pushing out whatever's still in the pipeline before revealing that they're done?
>>
>>51032196
I adore rivals of catan and personally prefer it to regular catan. I find it easy to teach and very intuitive for non gamers to grasp very quickly. The mixture of randomness and deterministic engine building is great.
>>
>>51034139
seems unlikely, but would be amusing if it happened just after losing the GW license.
>>
>>51034770
>seems unlikely
Disney and Hasbro share executive ties.
>>
>>51034855
Hasbro is still pumping out Star Wars Risk & Monopoly, so it's not like they aren't getting a slice of that pie as well.
>>
>>51035049
Imagine how much the market share will grow when they also get Imperial Assault and Rebellion and Destiny and Chaos in the Long Long Time Ago Galaxy and all that other shit I braely keep track of!
>>
>>51035062
they can only get the license, not the game's themselves. Asmodee/FFG will own the mechanics, rules and everything but the theme.
>>
>>51035090
>Asmodee/FFG will own the mechanics, rules and everything but the theme.
They'll own all art assets and nothing else.
Mechanics and rules can't be owned without a patent, which almost no one files for. Only 4e's d20 system iirc.
>>
>>51026996
lord of the rings confrontation.

king domino (with 7 x 7 variant)
>>
>>50998130
Scythe gets incredibly fast once you get into it.
>>
>>51035115
Then why isn't there a Catan clone put out by every company? Or a Carcassonne clone? Companies don't do that shit because it's too easy to be sued. Hasbro has their own shit properties they can smear Star Wars all over, they don't need FFG's. And since the license is apparently not exclusive, they can and are doing so.
>>
>>51035931
>Then why isn't there a Catan clone put out by every company? Or a Carcassonne clone?
Catan and Carc are still in production. It simply wouldn't be profitable to put out a Catan clone or a Carc clone.
>>
6 player games. Talk to me
One that I can preferebly play with under 6 too and isnt autistic to teach.
>>
>>51035931
There's a few app clones of some board games like San Juan and Splendor, I think Carcasonne has one too. Then there's that recent thing with another board game plagiarizing its mechanics from a different game wholesale and selling it under a different name, then winning the lawsuit.
>>
>>51036161
caverna :^)
>>
>>51036161
Antike II.
>>
>>51036161
Monopoly.
>>
>>51036161
I've really been enjoying the Oregon Trail. My only real problem with it is that the rules are sometimes unclear. For instance, there are cards where you have to roll. If you get an even, you ford the river. Odds, you lose some supplies. But on a few of them, even is still success, but it says if you roll a 1 you die. So what if you roll a 3 or 5? I feel like you should lose some supplies, bit enforcing that with my family got them kinda mad at me during Christmas.

That said, if the young kid dies early, he might not like it.
>>
>>51034139
FFG doesn't reprint until all of their distribution partners complete their orders with them. This is how it has always been with them. It means their stuff periodically goes oop. It's normal
>>51035115
>>51035931
While mechanics aren't protected, rules text is protected by copyright.
>>
>>51036161
Mutha
Fuckin'
Twilight
Imperium
Three
>>
>>51038547
Did you not read the last bit
>>
>>51038578
Ye, I'm just messin'
For real now, got any preferred mechanics or style?
>>
File: ClassicBlunder.jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ClassicBlunder.jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
>>51038547
>TI3
>With 6
>>
>>51038619
I guess something with negotiations or area control would be fun. I was thinking about Bang! The dice game because it seems easy to teach and cheap but I just bought ONUW and was worried it'd be too similar.
>>
>>51038633
Hey, he just stated he wanted something that went up to 6, no other conditionals (other than low autismo), and TI3 does. If he had asked for a game that was GOOD at 6, then I'd probably still have memed TI3.
>>
>>51038791

Bang! The Dice Game is only a little about social deduction, then it quickly devolves into a very fast dice game. Since it's relatively inexpensive, plays up to 8, plays very quickly, and is quite fun, I'd recommend you pick it up.
>>
>>51038791
>>51036161
Cosmic Encounter goes up to 6 with an expansion. It's about establishing colonies on other players' planets through force or diplomacy, and it's only moderate weight. Different alien racial abilities help give it really good replay value.

Another one is Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Really neat co-op exploration game with a horror theme. Midway through the game a "haunt" happens and the whole game changes according to one of many scenarios, most with one player becoming the antagonist. Also has lots of replay value and is not too heavy.

Both are personal favorites and work with 3-6 players (CE is 3-5 without expansion).
>>
>>51038957
>cosmic encunter
>boretrayal

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT
>>
>>51038957

I find that Betrayal works best with non-gamers or roleplayers, as it's more a narrative experience than a good conventional game.
>>
>>51039095
I play it with my family who prefers thematic games. The crunchiest thing they play is Firefly. When I'm with my gamer friends Betrayal usually gets set aside in favor of something a little more mechanically interesting. So yeah, I'd say that's true. It's still a fun experience, but not every game fits every group.
>>
>>51038791
So, light, fast games with negotiation
For Sale great auction game, lots of player interaction
Skull is fantastic, light and fast, lots of bluffing
Dixit is more of an activity, but it's a lot of fun
Saboteur needs 6 players minimum, may overlap other hidden role games
Power Grid is GOAT 6 player networking/auction game, not too hard to teach either.
Say Anything is also a nice activity
>>
>>51027200
That's the same interview that the guy just barely stops himself from saying 'people should be happy to spend more on games'
>>
What's a good game for two players? I prefer something with a good theme that shows in the mechanics. Me and my girlfriend enjoyed Mr. Jack for example.
>>
>>51039670
We've got macro images for this lying around somewhere, but a few of the common recommendations are:
The Duke
Onitama
Santorini
7 Wonders Duel
Twilight Struggle
Netrunner
Stronghold 2E
Neuroshima Hex
Star Realms
>>
>>51039706
>>51039670
Gonna add blokus to the list. You can buy a two player version and why it doesn't really have a theme it's pretty fun
>>
>>51039670
Raptor is a newcomer to this >>51039706
list
Also, for less thematic stuff, almost all of Kosmos 2-player line is really, really good. Targi, Lost Cities, Kahuna, Piñata, Odin's Ravens, Hera and Zeus come to mind.

BattleLine
Takenoko, Carcassonne, 5 Tribes are best with 2 IMO
All coops can be played with 2
All 1 v many can be played with 2, Fury of Dracula is really thematic
Some LCGs, ECGs or CCGs could appeal to you, depending on your theme preferences. Available in coop or duel.
Star Wars Risk
>>
>>51039588
Yeah, he was sweating bullets, Asmodee made him the fall guy in front of the media. I don't believe that steaming pile of bullshit he was forced to say was his personal opinion
>>
Stonemeier has jumped in on the legacy game bandwagon.
>>
>>51039807
>>51039736
>>51039706
Thank you!
>>
>>51039867
And I forgot the link cus I'm stupid
http://stonemaiergames.com/games/charterstone/
>>
>>51039867
Where have you been?
>>
>>51039935
Um, under a rock?
>>
>>51039670
Raptor and mr jack got one author in common, you should definitly sheck for raptor. It's fun & easy to play like mr.jack
>>
>>51039807
So I Kickstarted Santorini, recently got it and I've been having a blast.

One of my friends was a little concerned about balance between different god powers.

Does anyone know if there are any clearly unbalanced matchups that aren't on the "banned" list?
>>
File: IMG_8241.jpg (380KB, 1794x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8241.jpg
380KB, 1794x1920px
This is how I feel while I play Space Hulk Death Angel and I love it
>>
>>51040252
If balance is an issue you could play vanilla, scrap the god powers.
And no, I'm nopt familiar with the god powers, is there a summary somewhere I could check out?
>>
>>51040252
Yeah, there's some poor matchups out there, like the guy who forces you to always move your lower worker against poseidon who wants to leave a worker on the ground, for instance.
>>
File: 1452845985974_0.jpg (205KB, 843x1034px) Image search: [Google]
1452845985974_0.jpg
205KB, 843x1034px
>>51040354
>Its an everyone dies in the first room episode
>>
>>51039670
Forbidden Stars
>>
>>51012442
Kemet will be around forever, get Forbidden Stars before it goes out of print.

FS has more dynamic combat imho.
>>
Hey boys just picked up Tales of Arabian Nights to play with some casual friends this weekend. What can I expect? I imagine the game is best with 3 but what about 4 or even 5 players? Are there standees for more than 3? Every pic/review I've seen only shows 3 players.
>>
>>51040354
should i have bought the expansion packs when i debated it a year ago ? (to play not to scalp)
>>
>>51032196
Tried it once and I hated it, but maybe that's because I listened when they said to introduce the expansions gradually.
>>
>>51041885
Fuck I want that game
>>
which games are oop but still decently priced as of now?

besides ffg
>>
Are Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert good, and which one should I get? or do I get both
>>
>>51043640

They're both pretty entry level co-operative games; there are certainly better co-ops out there. You don't really need to own both, and of the two Forbidden Desert is definitely better (and slightly more expensive, I guess).
>>
i love kemet. can anyone recommend a game that plays well at two players?
>>
I wound up with a $100 gift certificate for Christmas - what would you all recommend I spend it on? Wait for Scythe or Terraforming Mars to get reprinted? Or pick up something else?
>>
What are the best card sleeves to use for the Space Hulk Death Angel cards?
>>
>>51039015
Quality comment friendo, so glad you took the time to post this.
>>
>>51044142
>defending meme games
eat shit, fuccboi
>>
>>51044116
FFG green I believe
>>
>>51038957
Betrayal's problem is that there's no way to meaningfully influence the outcome of the game for 50-75% of it. You don't know what you're looking for, you don't know who you can trust, and you don't even know if you're going to be the bad guy. So it's just aimless meandering, followed by a victory or loss which is basically determined by which team got lucky during the aimless meandering.

It's be a much better game if the Haunts were harder, but you had ways to actually prepare for them before they were triggered.
>>
>>51043890
you can probably find scythe for 100 or less, which would be worth it. if you cant then grab 2-3 games for that price. we shouldn't have to make these decisions for an adult and this site is 18+
>>
>>51044518
I'm just wondering if you have any recommendations, not asking you to make me a budget.
>>
>>51044552
scythe and TM won't be reprinted for a while, so pay their price or get something else is what i was trying to say. there aren't games that replicate those at a lower price point, which is why they sell as high as they do.
>>
I leave for 2 hours and the thread devolves into a shit flinging festival. Shame on you /bgg/
>>
>>51044882
The hell thread are you looking at? This shit is primarily civil, bitch.

>>51044488
I agree. That's why my gamer friends and I usually pass it over. We prefer to feel more in control. Still works with a more casual crowd though. We've had some good laughs during games that would make a different group just frustrated.

I really like the flavor and feel of the game, so I've thought about trying out some custom haunts. Or maybe you could decide the haunt from the beginning, but the traitor is still random. That way you know a little bit better where to search and what to look for. I feel like it's a game that really begs for house rules and homebrewing.
>>
>>51043885
see
>>51039670
>>51039706
>>51039736
>>51039807
>>
>>51041885
it's either 5 or 6, I don't remember which
>>
>>51045320
New thread up

>>51039670
Have another paperwork/off day tomorrow so the wife/gf/partner/casual chart, will be getting more work on it tomorrow, but pretty much use what everyone said already.
>>
>>51039670
Sekigahara
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.