[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General - Dragonborns' Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 404
Thread images: 36

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

Previous thread: >>50850992

Do you have any Christmas plans for your party?

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
>>50857839
>Do you have any Christmas plans for your party?
Our Christmas gift was 87 points of Lightning Breath to the face.
>>
>>50857839
Don't forget to move the Discord link back into the right place next thread, it's only down low because of the last thread's OP.
>>
File: 15.jpg (203KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
203KB, 1200x1200px
>>50855323
I know exactly how you feel, I'm a new dm who has been asking for help lately. I DMed for 2 people first went good. Then 3 also went good, last night we shot up to 6. I was scared /tg/, what do I do?! It is happening again on Tuesday....Shit terrified me until I settled in.
>>
>>50857705
>But what new backgrounds would you have to make for a Wild West setting?

Native Guide
Skill Proficiencies: Survival, Nature
Languages: One of your choice.
Equipment: 10gp's worth of trade goods commonly used in bartering (tobacco, colored beads)
Feature: Local Expertise - You know what areas local groups claim as their territory and where they are likely to roam, though you do not know their exact location, as well as some basic formalities of their culture. Additionally, you know the local trade pidgin or sign language. You are capable of communicating basic concepts and phrases to local natives, even if you do not share a language with them.
>>
Should confused be a condition? should there be other conditions to add? what are /tg/'s thoughts on the matter?
>>
>>50858088
Confused as in the thing caused by the confusion spell? If so then only if it's greatly simplified.
>>
>>50858193
confused as in crown of madness, confusion spepll, umber hulk ability, madness table. ect.

as it stands there are a lot of effects that can be wrapped up into a neat status effect: confused.
>>
File: it chrismas.png (1MB, 900x736px) Image search: [Google]
it chrismas.png
1MB, 900x736px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/classes.html#Ranger%20(Revised),0

All but the Mystic and Spell-less Ranger now have subclass formatting and filtering.

Next project: stat-generation page (with support for point buy, array, and rolling).
>>
>>50858242
Thanks a metric shit ton for your work, anon.
>>
>>50858015
Stop being a bitch and DM this isn't the school play ffs it's just fun.
>>
>>50857705
Prospector
Skills: Nature, Investigation
Proficiencies: Miner's tools (new) and one game kit
Equipment: Miner's tools, shovel, sledgehammer, pickaxe, a set of traveler's clothes, an iron pan, a basic map of the local area, and a belt pouch containing 5gp
Feature: i dunno but you should be able to find ores and pull gp out of cave walls or some shit. also you're good at maps and claim-staking i guess
>>
File: cowboy-Ranger.png (919KB, 1300x1682px) Image search: [Google]
cowboy-Ranger.png
919KB, 1300x1682px
>tfw spent a few hours designing a kit for a character who doesn't even have a backstory

Might as well post it since I'll probably never actually play them.

UA Ranger, however the pet is a Dire Wolf used as a mount.
>>
>>50858552
HIS WIFE WAS KILLED BY A MAN IN BLACK
HE WANDERS FROM TOWN TO TOWN, SEEKING REVENGE
>>
>>50858581
OR HIS BROTHER OR FATHER, WHO KNOWS
MAN IN BLACK CONVENIENTLY IN EMPLOY OF BBEG
keep your lovin' __________ happy
>>
We're playing LMoP and the PCs want to stop by Neverwinter to sell stuff, buy horses, find whorehouse, tavern etc.

How do I keep them engaged? Any small scale plot hooks you guys have? I don't want them to spend too much time there though.
>>
>>50858767
Base it on whatever thing they want to do. They're not going to give a shit about a bounty on rats in the sewers or scheming nobles or anything like that. So if they want whores, have the whorehouses close too early because they're all afraid of a new mysterious serial killer in town dropping whores left and right. If they want to go shopping, have the greatest dwarven weaponsmith in the city consumed by a fey mood and refusing to do any mundane work until he can find some weird obscure ingredients for his passion project.
>>
>>50858767
I think if you don't want your players to spend "too much time" in a city like Neverwinter, you have to make it boring. Any plothook in a city like this will turn your session (and probably the 3 next) into a "city session".

My advice is:
- Prepare a shit ton of descriptions for the numerous impressive momuments/sights. Keep em short but put an emphasis on the fact that it's gorgeous.
- They'll leave relatively quickly because nothing seems to be out of order.
- Then the next time they go to Neverwinter, you'll introduce a contrast. Anything you wish to be different. And they'll notice.
>>
Anons? I want to convert a magical weapon (type) from 4e to 5e, and I could use some help.

It's called the Flesh Grinder, and basically it's a magical equivalent of Warhammer's chainsword/chainaxe/chainscythe/chainhammer/etc sphere of weapons.

In 4e, it came in +1 to +6 enchantment levels, inflicted +1d10 damage per plus on a critical hit, and 1/day could target Fortitude instead of AC, doing a bonus +d6 (per tier) damage if that hit landed.

Any ideas on how to make this work in 5e?

In case it's confusing: in 4e, weapons did additional damage determined by their type on a critical hit (hence the +1d10 above) and Fort/Ref/Will were static defences like AC rather than active saves. So, that means a Flesh Grinder +6 would inflict +6D10 points of damage on a critical hit.
>>
Hey, anons? I was flicking through Volo's Guide, remembered that Chitins had at least one PC writeup back in AD&D, so I wanted to ask: how overpowered are these PC writeups?

Chitine
+2 Dex, +1 Con
Small
Darkvison
Base speed 30 feet, Climb 30 feet
Fey Ancestry: Advantange on saves vs. Charm, Immune to Magical Sleep
Sunlight Sensitivity: Disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) when in direct sunlight
Web Sense: Can detect the presence of any other creature touching the same web as the chitine
Web Walker: Ignores movement restriction caused by webbing

Cholodrith
+2 Wis, +1 Dex
Medium
Darkvison
Base speed 30 feet, Climb 30 feet
Fey Ancestry: Advantange on saves vs. Charm, Immune to Magical Sleep
Sunlight Sensitivity: Disadvantage on attack rolls and Wisdom (Perception) when in direct sunlight
Web Sense: Can detect the presence of any other creature touching the same web as the chitine
Web Walker: Ignores movement restriction caused by webbing
Spider Climb: Does not need to make ability checks to climb difficult surfaces, including upside down
>>
>>50858974
So its whole thing is that it deals more damage on a critical hit?

https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/items.html#Vicious%20Longsword

https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/items.html#Longsword%20of%20Sharpness

https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/items.html#Vorpal%20Longsword

Take those and refluff.
>>
>>50859041
Oops, forgot to add this to the Cholodrith:

Webbing: Once per short rest, can launch webbing as a ranged weapon attack with a range of 30/60 feet, targeting one Large or small creature. On a hit, target is Restrained until it ca bass a DC 11 Strength check. The webbing can also be attacked and destroyed (AC 10, 5 HP, Vulnerability Fire, Immunity Bludgeoning/Poison/Psychic).
>>
>>50858974
I'd say 'just fucking don't', but I'm one of the people who prefers an oldschool version of doing things where you don't give everybody in the pary magic items like it's required to have fun, and magic items hold more importance than 'you deal more damage!'

If you were to put it in, you'd put it as either +1/+2/+3 depending on how powerful you want it to be and say 'you roll an extra weapon die on a crit'.
Once a long rest, replacing one of your attacks as part of an attack action, you can make a special attack. A target within 5ft must make a con save, DC equal to 8+your strength modifier+your proficiency modifier. If they fail the save, they take the usual damage plus an additional weapon damage die.

Of course, that's horribly, horribly boring for a weapon. It's literally just a ball of 'You deal more damage, and conditionally deal more damage!'
>>
>>50858974
>+1,2,3 magic weapon
>+1,2,3 d10 on crit
>Once per day you can make an attack vs. your opponent's constitution save. The DC = 8 + prof + your strength modifier. Your opponent has disadvantage on this save. If this attack lands it hits for an additional 1,2,3 d6.

There aren't very good mechanics for converting fortitude attacks. Might want to maks it ignore armor value instead (10+Dex would be the new AC).

Why did it target fortitude not reflex?
>>
>>50858974
____
Flesh Grinder
>Weapon (morningstar), rare (requires attunement)
> You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.
While you are attuned to this weapon, when you make an attack with this weapon on your turn, you can decide to unlock the weapon's special power. If you do so, you do not need to make an attack roll for this attack. Instead, your target must succeed a Strength or a Constitution saving throw (the target chooses the ability to use) or take the damage you rolled for the attack.
____

You can just add the +d10 on crit if you want to make it better.
>>
>>50858974
Rather than getting hung up on the crunch, which is unsalvageable, consider what's happening in the game world and how you'd use rules to capture that. Chainsaws aren't the best weapons, but they are traditionally good for tearing through zombies and other soft targets. Maybe just have each hit deal an extra die or two of slashing damage when you hit a target with lower than a certain AC, maybe the 10-13 range.

Also, magic weapons in 5e no longer have to have a "plus." A lot of powerful magic weapons, like the Flame Tongue, add no bonus to attack or damage rolls but still count as magical for bypassing monster damage reduction.
>>
>>50859153
Oh yeah DC is 8+prof+strength obviously.
And refreshes on long rest. Obviously.

Woops.
>>
>>50859132
>something that always has advantage or disadvantage

Advantage/disadvantage exists as a conditional modifier, not a variable modifier.
>>
>>50859177
I don't understand what you're critiquing.
>>
Are the Zhentarim necessarily evil, or are they more unscrupulous, amoral consortium of businessmen?
>>
>>50859132
>>50859153
The extra damage on a critical hit is just 4e noise. All magic weapons in 4e did extra damage dice on a critical hit so that the player would still have something to roll (crits used to deal maximized damage in 4e rather than doubling damage or adding dice)
>>
>>50859260
Read a bit of their lore and form your own opinion. Or ignore it all and rule your shit.

I think they're pretty fucking evil but that might be because i deeply believe the people must seize the means of production
>>
>>50859168
Hmm... good point. What about a passive trait of "damage type changes to slashing, damage dice increase by +1" and an active power of "once per short rest, you can use the lower of a target's AC or Constitution score when making an attack roll"?

Or is that too complicated? Maybe just make it have the passive trait of "damage type is slashing, weapon gains the Heavy trait, use target's Con score instead of AC score when making attack rolls" and that's all it does?
>>
>>50859214
If you designed a spell, you would never make a spell that says 'The enemy must save with disadvantage.'
Only
'The enemy must save with disadvantage if they are a plant/are not on their home plane/wearing the colour blue'.

Disadvantage/advantage is always conditional. 'You make somebody make a save' is not a condition, it is the thing that causes the save in the first place.

Of course, you might want to say 'the save is made with disadvantage' to make the ability less conditional and better, but that's besides the point. The order of ways to make a save more powerful in 5e:
>Best
>1. Just don't.
>2. Save is fixed to a DC. Say, DC 17.
>3. Conditional disadvantage. (While nice, this dosen't increase the save's power but instead makes it conditionally more powerful)
>4. Save still has an effect on failure.
>5. Save is not 8+VARIABLES but 10+VARIABLES - a flat modifier has been applied.
>6. Save always has advantage/disadvantage
>Worst

This isn't a balance issue or whatever. It's an issue of the way 5e works and goddamnit I will go to war if somebody tries to homebrew a class that uses the 'spellcasting' feature wrong.
>>
>>50859316
If a communist thinks they're evil, I want to join them.
>>
>>50859260
Did you not just say the same thing in two different ways? Amoral people are evil. Nobody goes out trying to do evil because it's evil; they're evil because they don't care about moral concerns.
>>
>>50858767
While they're out and about, mention how large the crowd is on a given street, and how difficult it is to move around with all these people. Put a few things on the street that can attract the characters' attention, like an illusion act, an argument between citizens, a rabblerouser getting arrested and spitting venom all over the place.

Roll a die and ignore whatever it says. Then, have a hooded fellow with very distinctive features (a man with a handlebar mustache and beard that ends in a twirl; a woman absolutely covered in freckles) SLAM into the party member who matches the most of these criteria: biggest, most heavily-armored, least stealthy, most Goodie-Good. They apologize profusely, blame it on being shoved by someone else in the crowd, and move on. If the party suspects something sinister (like a cutpurse), the person will do whatever is necessary to mollify them so they can get away.

Later on in the adventuring day, the Neverwinter Fuzz busts down a door and SWAT surrounds the character who was bumped. They have been implicated in a murder of a local noble and demand the character submit to a search. A caster apprentice of some stripe with the guards waves around a little wand, and it glows when held near the suspected character, indicating the presence of "irrefutable evidence"--a signet ring of obvious value has somehow been slipped onto their person.

It is exceedingly likely that the party has an alibi for the time of the murder (say, that time they were all gathered together in the potion shop or where ever else; shopkeeps will vouch for them unless the party were jackasses) and the local investigator is somewhat accommodating. If the party will submit to some Zone of Truthing provided by the local church of _____________ and comes up clean, they can head on their way.

But ideally they'll make the connection between the easily-recognizable hooded figure's bump and run off on a merry FUCK YOU YOU FRAMED US adventure and solve a murder
>>
Do tieflings have any cities or nations of their own, or are they more small minorities of cursed bloodlines in major cities? This is for default 5e lore.
>>
>>50859337
lol nerd alert
>>
>>50859409
In Forgotten Realms they don't. Literally they were just anybody with a little bit of fiendish blood in their ancestry, and they came in a wide variety of forms, but then Asmodeus was like "hey, you guys are cool, you all work for me now," and made most of them look like 4e tieflings. So the closest thing they have to a nation is the church of Asmodeus.
>>
>>50859409
In 4e, Bael Turath is the Tiefling (former) empire.
>>
>>50859352
I mean they're not actively evil. They don't kidnap and sacrifice people, just smuggle illicit goods and other such nefarious activities.
>>
>>50858552
This is generally how my characters begin. I start with a design and then piece their personality and story together around it. No wrong way to do it, anon, some ways just take a little longer.

He's a cowboy, isn't he?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpHWDFyNF-s
Steal inspiration from all the cowboy shit you like.
>>
>>50852910
It depends on the race.
I've taken a liking to trying to get as many points in total as I can without gimping something, while still having a minimum of +2 in my main stat(s). Obviously, 14 and 15 each cost 1 extra to reach. For this reason, I tend to point buy to 13 or 14 and let the racial bonuses push the stat to 14 or 16. I avoid hanging stats at odd numbers without having a plan to increase it with a feat later (like leaving Dex at 15 and taking it to 16 through Resilient.)

I don't believe in reaching for 17 at level 1 unless it's supposed to be a really narrowly focused character (like a Mountain Dwarf Barbarian who is into bodybuilding). I like characters to be able to afford 12 or 14 in "unused" stats and get those +1's or +2's so they can appear to be all-around competent individuals. I'm also friendly towards taking skill proficiencies in things that aren't tied to my main stat if it's something that helps develop the character's themes.
>>
What do you guys think about the UA Cleric Domains? Right now I'm considering running either a Grave or Protection cleric, just because I want a little bit of a healing buff, but not full-ass Life Healbot mode
>>
>>50859337
>This is not a balance issue
Then why did you list 5 ways you thought it could be handled better? They each have objectively different average outcomes.

>Heightened spell (sorcerer metamagic option.) When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist it's effects, you can spend 3 sorcery points to give one target of the spell disadvantage on its first saving throw against the spell.

Explain how this is different from the way I described the save working in my post.
>>
>>50859336
The thing where you hit something other than their AC should just be thrown out entirely. It never made sense from either the attacker's or defender's point of view. It's a chainsaw; it's not especially accurate.

Maybe instead of that, have a thing where you can keep sawing away at someone you've already hit, like a melee version of Witch Bolt. Something like "if you start your turn adjacent to a creature that you hit with this weapon during your last turn, you may use your action to deal 3d10 (or whatever) slashing damage to that creature."
>>
>>50859546
Go Forge Cleric.
If your allies start whining just cauterize whatever holes that are bothering them and go back to smashing.
>>
>>50859260
>formed by an EVIL WIZARD
>also known as the BLACK Network
>symbol at various points has involved a SKULL or a BLACK WYRM
>full of mercenaries who run PROTECTION RACKETS on poor townsfolk
>runs around CONQUERING POOR CITY-STATES in the Moonsea region
>leadership positions taken up by a BEHOLDER, a PIT FIEND, and an EXARCH OF BANE
>turns to widespread WORSHIP OF CYRIC after FUCKING BANE dies
>goes back to widespread WORSHIP OF BANE after he comes back to life and the aforementioned EXARCH OF FUCKING BANE murders the EVIL WIZARD who founded them
>EVIL WIZARD was a fucker who abused Simulacrum and comes back with an ARMY OF SKELLINGTONS and takes the whole organization back by killing pretty much everyone and now comprise the majority of their standing forces
gee anon i don't know
they seem like legitimate businessmen to me
>>
>>50859505
They kill when it benefits them. Maybe stealing benefits them much more often than killing does, but that's still evil.
>>
>>50859546
War clerics are objectively the most fun and you should feel foolish for considering anything else.
>>
>>50859562
There is a condition to that.
1. You must be a sorcerer.
2. You must take the metamagic feat.
3. You must spend 3 sorcerery points each time.

That's 3 different conditions.

Another reason why disadvantage/advantage is conditional (aside from it being the entire point of advantage/disadvantage, something an ability or DM can say 'oh, since you're jumping from a ledge and attacking you get advantage on this attack') is that it's also designed so you can't stack it. So, by giving something always disadvantage, it means that roll can never be made with advantage and can never gain the benefits of a different disadvantage.
>>
>>50859564
Or rather "a creature you damaged with this weapon," so you can saw many turns in a row
>>
>>50859579
i mean someone has to do it
>>
>>50859579
They seem ready to receive a just paladin's smite, I tell you what.
>>
>>50859579
I see. I guess my bard is a member of the Harpers then. Was just trying to be a little creative.
>>
>>50859616
>Tempest also gets heavy armor and martial weapons
>no one cares about attacks as a bonus action when Spiritual Hammer exists
>exploits two damage types, one of which nothing really resists
>gets to send people flying all day long and straight-up electromurder niggas who hit them
>>
>>50859668
>not being an Emerald Enclave Bard who runs around strumming a lute with "THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS" carved into it
>>
>>50859677
>>50859616
I might consider War Cleric if the healing is still competent. Tempest would be cool, but we already got a Storm Sorc. Also a Zealot Barb, and a Lore Bard.

>>50859570
I'd do this in a heartbeat if I wasn't sure this is more of an exploratory campaign
>>
>>50859722
Doesn't work well for a tiefling bard motivated by loot, ancient knowledge, and more loot.
>>
>>50859564
The "target Fortitude" thing in 4e was to represent jamming it up in a solid bit and just sawing through the meat, Ash Williams or DoomGuy style. Still, that's maybe a good idea - I do think continuing damage is probably the best way to represent the "armor & flesh torn away" angle of the enchantment in fluff.
>>
>>50859618
There are 3 conditions to the magic item.
1. You must be able to hold it.
2. You must be attuned to it.
3. You have to use the power granted by it.

Less than 10 abilities in the whole game give advantage or disadvantage to constitution saving throws, its really not an issue and will probably never come up.

What is your point?
>>
File: stormcaller.jpg (613KB, 1115x822px) Image search: [Google]
stormcaller.jpg
613KB, 1115x822px
>>50859763
Having a Storm Sorcerer is MORE of a reason to be Tempest, not less. You can be thunderbros. Team up and RIDE THE LIGHTNING together.
>>
>>50859888
BLOOD AND THUNDER! VICTORY AT SEA!
>>
>Can finally play a kenku
>Talk about next years games online
>No Kenku
kill me
>>
>>50859618
Oh, also
Condition 4 & 5
4. The target may not already have disadvantage (There's no point to using it in this case)
5. You must not have used another metamagic on the spell.

>>50859887
Those are conditions to use the ability, not the conditions for disadvantage or advantage.
You do not need to use the metamagic in order to use a spell.

If you really want to disagree with how they've made advantage/disadvantage, you can go talk it up with the rules designer. I'm just saying it as it is, and at least to me it makes sense.
Advantage/disadvantage is completely unnecessary if you want to simply boost the power of a save. There's barely any reason to do it instead of just making the save DC higher, which isn't exactly the best option but it's better.

Yes, it is slightly different if you say 'well, disadvantage is roughly worth -4 or -5, so the save DC is now 14+STRMOD+proficiency' instead, but at least you're not having to roll extra dice for no real reason.

No, this isn't a major issue but understanding this is part of understanding how to design things in 5e's terms.
>>
>>50859888
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1k1tgq87g
>>
Looking to build a melee combatant who can essentially cast two spells, as much as possible: Haste and Shield.

Shield I can grab through magic initiate feat, so no problem there.

After having a look around it seems like my options are:

>Vengeance Paladin
>Eldritch Knight & Wizard (with only a few levels of Wizard enough to grab Haste)
>Eldritch Knight & Sorcerer (again to grab haste)
>Blade Singer

Is there anything I've missed? And which of these options do you think is most durable and fun.
>>
File: farewell thunderchild.jpg (41KB, 800x370px) Image search: [Google]
farewell thunderchild.jpg
41KB, 800x370px
>>50859933
>>
>>50859994
Your only real option is EK-Wiz but you're going to be a shit Fighter most of the time since. Why Haste yourself for an extra attack that you can get by actually hitting Fighter 5?

Just convince the biggest dope in your group to play a Sorcerer instead and Twin Haste on you and some other fucker.
>>
>>50859994
Favoured soul sorcerer.

Treachery Paladin.

Paladin/sorcerer multiclass. Sorcerer can twin haste and also has con saves, so hey.

Arcane Trickster.

Valor Bard (If you're really willing to multiclass a level of wizard or spend a magical secret on that.)
>>
>>50859994
Your best bet is probably paladin 2 or fighter 1 into sorcerer 5. You get shield and haste reasonably early and you can use heavy armor with a polearm.
If you're going paladin you can at level 7 twin cast haste to get the buff+ give it to someone else.
Your average turn will look something like this. Twinned booming blade>smite if you want to>attack>extra attack with polearm master. In total you can do 4 attacks in a turn while also getting access to both the spells you want.

You can also do something like this build by only going draconic sorcerer and variant half elf for shortsword proficiency, using dex as your main stat.
>>
File: zapzap nigga.png (3MB, 2197x1463px) Image search: [Google]
zapzap nigga.png
3MB, 2197x1463px
>>50859992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKF5R8doqDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Ika-PNmHg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYzYo-XJfUI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc7S0y5Xyt8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYDpM7ljMHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wQYdsF2vKY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPNFVj-pISU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnLAC5AJPuM
>>
I had a thought last night but lack the mathematical ability to find out the answer.

Obviously the answer is variable as it depends on the attacker. But is there a "tipping point"

The premise being that at some point, granting an enemy disadvantage on attacks is more valuable than increasing your AC.

>eg disadvantage against AC16 is actually harder to hit than pure AC18-20

Is this right? And if so, at what point does it take effect.
>>
>>50860213
It honestly depends on the enemy's bonuses to hit. Say if they have a +0 mod to hit, it's definitely better to have disadvantage, but if it's like +10, it's better to up AC.

Pretty much it works out to the second the attacker needs to roll an 11 instead of a 10 to hit you that disadvantage becomes better
>>
>>50860189
One day I'll play a thunder thrower. Every chance I get to, the party ends up needing something else
>>
>>50860213
It depends on the AB of the creature rolling.

Assuming a +5 to hit, you're going to have as much trouble hitting an AC 17 guy (you need 12) with Disadvantage as someone with +0 and no disadvantage would.
>>
File: advdisadv.png (32KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
advdisadv.png
32KB, 480x480px
>>50860213
Sheer probability of rolling a given result.
You must factor in ACs and ABs yourself.
>>
>>50860270
Yeah if I understood math better i'd figure it out myself.

My thinking is that against something that has 50% chance of hitting, +2AC equates to reducing it to 40%.

Whereas disadvantage reduces it to 25% or 33%

But I don't know if thats correct or how to justify it.
>>
>>50860356
The answer is "play a Shield Master in full plate with Defense, have 21 AC and shove every enemy to the ground"
>>
>>50858552
Hey! youre the folding glaive guy. I like where it went to. keep it up
>>
Has WoTC announced their next adventure? I am curious what they are putting out next.
>>
>>50860472
We'll probably get an announcement either next month or the month after with an April release date.
>>
I'm fucking loving SKT as a DM.
Chapter 3 is gorgeous.

Players got caught up in the "Womford Bat" mystery for an entire session. Became vampire hunting sleuths and with heroic levels of preparation took it out.

Wizard's 5e is really coming together beautifully for me as a DM. A combination effect: Faerun/Sword Coast/The North with plenty of written adventure material that you can just let them free roam into locations with encounters, and let them care/not care about plot as they will.
Bounded Accuracy lets you just toss whatever makes sense for the location at the party after they get some levels.
The DMG actually looks better and better the more I use it, improvising traps/encounters, raising up temporary villians and other NPCs on the fly, and more.
Then these elements come together and the party spends 3 sessions just getting into trouble in Waterdeep, (almost) completely unrelated to Giants and the like. My players have been so thrilled.
>>
>every damage build takes the -5/+10 feat
>only alternative is paladin crit fishing
>All full casters inevitably turn into "L.O.L. look at this CC also counterspell"
>grappling, darkness, invisibility, mounts, all of it does next to fucking nothing to change combat flow
I'm so fucking tired of this system
>>
>>50860519
>I'm so fucking tired of this system
ok
>>
>>50859994
Bladesinger does not work as a melee combatant, simply because your melee options will never be near as good as your spells
>>
>>50860494
How/why is it good as adventure?
How's 5e for improv on the fly creations or decisions?

>>50860519
So it's a shit system overall or just in parts?
>>
>>50859994
All of these are fine, I've had players run all of these combinations.
Blade Singer was actually the most fun and impressive, because he made no sacrifices to get high level spells in the long run but could still run the relevant martial-like AC and DPR the rest of the time.

>durable
You will seem very durable for a time, and then you run out of spell slots for shield. The rest of your party will be calling bullshit while if you have a good DM he will hide his grin while he throws junk at the party eating up your spell slots
>>
File: IMG_0246.jpg (343KB, 753x707px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0246.jpg
343KB, 753x707px
>message from player late at night
>"can I make a blind swordsman with high luck to compensate?"
>>
>>50860270
wtf no. 16 with disadvantage is tougher than 18 normally
>>
>>50860572
I'd say it's a shit system overall because after playing it for a year (purely because my group is the kind of autists who takes Adventure League seriously) I can say that every combat begins to feel the same very quickly and you can really notice the difference between a good damage build and a bad one.

I've played defensive characters, full on damage, the most supporty support ever, everything comes out feeling the same.
>>
>>50860519
>tfw I'm an invisible grappler
>>
>>50860675
>mfw I just continue to full attack you through disadvantage and not give a shit
>>
>>50860605
>Sure, but every attack you ever do has disadvantage until you pick up Blindsense.
>>
>>50860694
>knock them over with shield master
>no disadvantage on skill checks
>once they're prone, advantage cancels out disadvantage
>>
>>50860689
>mfw you're punching me for 1+Str since your weapon is on the other side of the room except you don't even have Str because you're a Dex build memer
>>
>>50860708
Good luck getting into range for shield master when you can't see
>>
>>50860711
>monsters don't have natural weapons
>you'll never fight a caster
>str based enemies with weapons don't die in one round to a real group
>>
>>50860744
Anon, what part of "DISARM" makes you think it only knocks rapiers and greataxes away?
>>
What CR are the stats from animate object? I used them for a bunch of animate objects in a haunted house but now I'm not sure how much XP to give
>>
>>50860827
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
>>
>>50860847
I mean the spell animate objects, I used the stats from that for an encounter, I don't think it's on there
>>
How would you rank the adventures from best to worst?
>>
>>50860694
Get the Warlock invocation Devil's Sight. Then you'll be able to see 120 feet, provided it's dark.
>>
>>50860744
>implying you can't remove a caster's component pouch or arcane focus
Though honestly simply preventing them from using their arms is better.
>>
>>50860767
good joke haha very funny
>>
>>50861204
If you suffer from the blinded condition, even truesight won't help you.
>>
>>50860973
Well I'd probably create a ranking system for a few categories: Plot, Encounters, Environment/Mood, etc
Then once I graded them all numerically I'd take the average then create a ranked list.
But then again its all subjective so you can rank them using any methods you want
>>
>>50861232
Guy asked for a blind swordsman, not a swordsman suffering from the blinded condition. If you have a way of seeing that doesn't involve your redundant eyes, why would the blinded condition apply?
>>
>>50861335
Being blind would mean you're effectively suffering from the blinded condition.

Unless they are specifically 'their eyes still work fine, but they can't see normal vision for some reason'. Yet, I doubt that would be the case because 'that isn't as cool'.
>>
>>50860670
It's more likely you had a shit DM.
>>
>>50859783
Read up the interview with the Zentharim agent, I thought it was pretty cool to showcase what they believe in.
>>
>>50861204
>>50860708
>>50860694
Or just be a Barbarian. Reckless Attack cancels disadvantage, and enemies already have advantage against you, so there's no reason not to use it all the time.

You could even be a Barbarian/Monk and burn ki every round to cancel out the advantage against you. You'll never be truly effective, but ordinary people will probably be amazed that you seem to fight without being hindered.
>>
>>50860827
Tiny object: CR 1
Small object: CR 1/2
Medium object: CR 1
Large object: CR 2
Huge object: CR 3

Why every caster above 9th level doesn't just carry ten daggers in their vest at all times is beyond me.
>>
>>50860670
Your DM didn't give your party interesting encounters, they're a shit.
>>
>>50861977

Ball bearings are funnier.
>>
>>50859041
Don't forget that Sunlight Sensitivity also applies if what you are trying to see is in direct sunlight.
>>
>>50861232
But Lesser Restoration would. Blindness just wouldn't exist among those who could afford a second-level spell.
>>
>>50862235
>Lesser Restoration has no component or material cost
>priests of a temple or church are obligated to cast healing spells on the (non-adventuring) unfortunate and faithful at less than cost
>somehow disease exists in this world
>>
>>50862287
That second part isn't exactly true. There are very few clerics compared to ordinary people, and each has finite spell slots each day. The spells sold to adventurers and other wealthy folks probably take up most or all of a church's magical healing each day, leaving very little to dole out for free or cheap to the plebs. The good-aligned churches justify this reality by using the profits to provide material aid to the poor, and every church also needs these profits to sustain themselves.
>>
>>50862287
Even casting it at cost isn't that expensive. I believe the DMG has spell prices laid out that would put it at around 40 gold. Pricey, but something even a poor family could scrounge up the money for to heal a loved one, and is likely cheaper in the long run than feeding them since they can't work.

The only blind people who would exist would be destitute beggars with no loved ones who also aren't willing to devote themselves to the church, or to get a small loan and pay it off with their ability to now work. Unless someone is a complete asshole who hates everyone and the gods as well, then they'll be able to get themselves healed.
>>
>>50862287
>"Not every acolyte or officiant at a temple or shrine is a cleric. Some priests are called to a simple life of temple service, carrying out their gods’ will through prayer and sacrifice, not by magic and strength of arms. In some cities, priesthood amounts to a political office, viewed as a stepping stone to higher positions of authority and involving no communion with a god at all. True clerics are rare in most hierarchies."

Though pretty much every DM puts at least one cleric in any important settlement the PCs are going through, if we're being honest.
>>
>>50862342
Unless nobles are gouging out their eyes each day for fun, I don't see the church blowing through all their healing on the rich every single day. While they'd likely encourage donations as a way to help pay it, a single priest could easily cure the blindness of 300 or more people in a single year. That's a completely feasible rate for curing all the blindness ever.
>>
>>50862347
An unskilled laborer would have great difficulty raising 40 gold, especially if he can't work, and a subsistence farmer might have difficulty raising any amount of coin. 40 gold is the equivalent of 400 days' worth of pay for the average schlub.
>>
>>50862385
Except you also have other kinds of sickness competing for the use of that same spell, plus other 2nd-level spells that someone might pay for. And I bet a lot of churches won't give free healing to someone whose beliefs are too different from their churches' dogma
>>
>>50862394
Hence the family part. An unskilled laborer makes 40 gold in 400 days. Even if you consider a farmer 'unskilled', him, his wife, and children are all going to be doing chores and taks around the farm that will allow them to live and potentially profit.

If all it takes to cure blindness for Billy's little sister is for Billy to take a job delivering packages for a little over a year, then that's rather easy to do.
>>
>>50862385
>gouging out their eyes each day
Lesser Restoration would definitely NOT solve that. At that point only regeneration would help. You guys have this backwards. Lesser Restoration can end the blinded condition, meaning if a creature was blinded by some spell, poison or weird ability. If a creature doesn't have eyes or if their eyes are too damaged to work, Lesser Restoration does nothing for them. Similarly, if you're in an area of Darkness, you're effectively blinded, but Lesser Restoration would not allow you to see through magical darkness.
>>
>>50862026
Yeah, I know, this was a short-hand writeup I did because there's not a lot of space to these posts and I figured folks would remember what Sunlight Sensitivity does in 5e.
>>
>>50862435
And you have other clerics and priests who can also cast that spell. And typically blindness is something you only have to cure once.

One priest going out of his way to cure all the blindness once probably won't have to do so the following year in the same town.

It is likely though that this charity work would come with the thought of conversion behind it. He isn't going to be curing the blindness of total heathens, unless he's using it as a chance to get them to go and convert and tithe and donate.
>>
>>50862342
Churches are expected to provide what freely-available succor they can to the poor at no cost. Things like basic healing and restorative spells that require no components are meant to be handed out like candy to any bum that shows up. They may even provide some basic services which cost something for free or at a much reduced price, but they're not blowing hundreds of GP on diamonds to revive the local farmer who was thrown from his horse.

Nobles and adventurers can afford that, but these guys are expected to pay--even for the "free" things like healing spells. It is because the churches extract money from those who can spare it that they can give shit away for free to the poor. Nobles of a given city may also indulge in patronage of a church or temple and receive discounts (or extend them to acquaintances) through those means, but that could also be considered a pre-paid line of credit. Adventurers that share a faith with the church may be treated on the cheap, but they can also be discounted for having performed meritorious service for the church of the local area, if such deeds are known.

Any decently-sized settlement is going to have at least one NPC cleric, especially if it has an actual church or temple in it. Like judges, there are also itinerant priests who wander from town to town on a set schedule, so if you live in some podunk farming village you could expect that Father Mulrooney will be along some time in the second week of next month and you can get poor Billie's limp fixed.
>>
Whats the tankiest character I can make around level 5?

So far I figure its something like a EK with plate+shield along with the shield spell and magic initiate cleric for shield of faith.

Anything better that i'm not thinking about that can top this?
>>
>>50862459
So there's even less competition for using lesser restoration to cure more natural causes of blindness. It won't regenerate eyes, but if you were born blind or just had your eyesight degrade, it should work.
>>
>>50862503
Probably just totem barb.
>>
>>50862503
Fighter (EK) 1 / Wizard (Abjurer) 4
Human with Heavy Armor Master
>>
>>50862445
You know, that family wasn't just sitting idle when the farmer was healthy. Their constant backbreaking labor is part of that family's normal situation. They have very little of a social safety net to speak of, and what little does exist likely comes from the church. You know, the one they can't afford to go to.
>>
>>50862486
Only clerics get spells. Priests, the folks who actually minister to believers, get dick. The supply of divine spells is a drop of water in the ocean of demand for divine spells. It's sad, but necessary in a cosmos where a god needs the power granted by hundreds or thousands of believers just to grant one spell.
>>
>>50862486
>>50862505
I don't think it works that way. Lesser Restoration ends one condition currently affecting a creature, that seems to assume that that creature is not normally afflicted by such condition. If you were born blind, your eyes probably wouldn't have the capacity to provide you with vision, and all that the spell does is *restore* you back to normal. If the blindness was caused by a disease though, then sure, it makes sense. If your eyesight degraded... that's probably already outside the capabilities of a 2nd level spell.

But I'd surely allow a PC to make a DC 20 Medicine check while casting the spell to try and restore someone's sight.
>>
>>50862503
Pal2/Barb3. With Breastplate, Shield, Defense, and Shield of Faith, you have 22 AC. Rage for Resistance to all damage and let your massive HP soak up everything. Downside: you can't really Dodge or your Rage is going to end, since you assuredly aren't going to get hit then.

Pal2/Monk3 (if you don't mind being a MAD fuck) or Fight1/Monk4 is also an option if you want to spam Dodge X/s.rest while still fighting back. You'd have to take Magic Initiate on the Fighter/Monk, but hey, 23 AC once you have full plate. Crappier HP though.
>>
What are the best stats for a tiefling bard? Since even stats don't confer any bonus, how can I build my character to best take advantage? If I do S8 D14 C12 Int 13 Wis 10 Cha 15, with Cha +2 Int +1 from racial bonus, I end up with odd stats. At 4th level I get an ability score increase, so I can get charisma 18, but then where do I spend the last point?
>>
>>50861221
>If you netrulize the caster's hand, he cant cast fireball
>We mobile infantry now
>>
File: 1411985666861.jpg (98KB, 500x574px) Image search: [Google]
1411985666861.jpg
98KB, 500x574px
so i don't know a lot about Faerun lore because i'm mostly in/running homebrew stuff, but it just hit me that Tyr from Norse mythology is one of the gods.

Are there any other Norse gods or even gods from different existing mythologies in Faerun?
>>
>>50861221
>>50862683
There were some rules in a previous thread for disarming casters. It was something like getting rid of spell components and mandating the use of casting implements like a staff or wand, as a parallel to a martial needing a weapon. Since we already have rules for disarming...
>>
>>50862552
Exactly. So such a family likely has savings, and in the event of the father's blindness, 40 gold is completely affordable to get it cured.

I mean, 50 gold is the price of a draft horse. It's quite likely a family would want to save up that much in case their current horse that they're using for plowing dies.

>>50862585
I am using the terms a bit interchangably, but yes, only clerics get spells while acolytes get nothing. However, Clerics don't seem to be remotely that rare. It's not unusual to see someone with the equivilent of Magic Initiate: Cleric in a village, nor is it unlikely to see an actually classed Cleric NPC in a town.

>>50862596
I could see it failing in the case of degraded eyesight due to old age, in the same way that you can't ressurect someone that's died from it, though being born blind seems like the sort of thing that's more possible to cure.
>>
>>50862716
Aside from the demonic deities which are named after other mythological figures, Mielikki is a real Finnish goddess; Silvanus is a Roman god; Kossuth is a Hungarian political figure (but not a god); all the Mulhorandi gods are the straight-up Egyptian pantheon (including in-universe; they were literally teleported from Earth by fucking wizards)
>>
>>50862716
Norse Tyr is very different from Toril's Tyr. Kind of like both Earth and Toril have a town called Bremen but they're not the same.
>>
>>50860605
It was so easy to make a blind swordsman/martial artist in previous editions and end like Daredevil
>>
I want to Pay for 5e but I don't want to have the books since I don't have space and I don't like the quality of the hard copy. Is there no digital version for sale?
>>
For any of you who have checked out the Druid UA, what do you think about the alternate Wild Shape rules? In terms of learning new forms (especially exotic ones), which ones do you think are the best options?
>>
>>50862824

There are some free rules you can find on the wizards site. And a Mega in the OP
>>
Any of you anon watch kung fu panda 2, especially the later part where the dragon warrior deliberately catch a cannon firework ball and toss it back? If I'm playing a monk in dnd provided the projectile is big enough and it doesn't shoot altogether at the same time, can i catch every one of those projectile and redirect it to the shooter?
>>
>>50862824
Not to my knowledge, just send wizards the cash in a letter if you care that much.
>>
>>50862999

As long as it isn't more than one projectile a turn, and you beat the damage they're dealing, and have enough ki sure.
>>
>>50859397
winning post of the thread

this is how you DM correctly
>>
File: magi.jpg (57KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
magi.jpg
57KB, 384x384px
How can I rape a monk. It's hard to grapple her.
>>
>>50862999
One projectile per round, not per turn, since you only have one reaction between each of your turns. But yeah, if 1d10 + Dex mod + monk level is equal to or higher than the damage they rolled, you can expend 1 ki to catch it and throw it back. Unfortunately cannons, according to the DMG, deal 8d10 damage (a bit too much if you ask me), so even a 20th level monk is not guaranteed to be able to do it. A ballista shot, though (3d10 damage) is much more doable.
>>
>>50863169
>Hard to grapple a monk
Pfffhahahaha, dude, they have shitty Str and some don't even have prof on athletism because they already have shitty Str. It's fucken easy to grapple most monks.
>>
>>50863191
>avoiding grapples
>high dex
>acrobatics
Are you stupid, dear sir?
>>
>>50863191
are you retarded anon?
>>
>>50862999
It takes your reaction. You only get one of those a round. You can catch and chuck a giants boulder back at him RAW, but you can't catch all 40 bolts the city watch is shooting at you.
>>
So why is the sorcerer so weak? I'm kinda forming my own conclusions most of the metamagic seems to fucking suck and only do shit that wizard would just have another spell for rather than do anything unique but i'm curious as to what the consensus is if there is one.
>>
>>50863314
Sorcerer is not weak. It's certainly not as powerful as wizard, sure, but it's not weak.
>>
>>50863314
Basically >>50863314

It more amounts to the fact that Wizards have a lot of amazing features both baseline and as part of subclasses, as well as a broader spell selection thanks to their spellbooks.

It's more due to Wizards being so much stronger in comparison than anything else.
>>
>>50863314
My sorcerer is on equal terms with the battlemaster in out group in terms of melee beast, but I thank a lot that I have +3 on 3 Stats since the begining.

Picked human, weapon master (greatsword) and +1 to str, started with 18 Str, 16 Con, 16 Cha, went Favoured Soul and now I'm quickening GFE or twinning BB. tempted to pick GWM at 4th but ended picking +2 Str instead.
>>
>>50863364
I want to change empowered spell back to its 3.5 version of buffing damage but then it seems like, since you can only get 4 fucking metamagic feats, players would only take that and quickened spell.

I understand that wizards should have the most spells to be a veritable swiss army knife of magic for when the party really needs it and rogue isn't up to snuff but sorcerers seem like they get no damn spells. The wizard will naturally get at level 8 as many spells as you will ever have not even counting shit they pick up along the way. They definitely need exclusive spell lists based off of bloodlines or some sort of niche to fit into. Maybe make them more blasty focused or something.
>>
>>50863314
Sorcerer like warlock is a great multiclass option class.
>>
File: warlock.jpg (114KB, 400x691px) Image search: [Google]
warlock.jpg
114KB, 400x691px
>>50863447

If I were personally going to change them I would just merge them with the Warlock class and be more liberal with spell slots/abilities. If the idea of the Sorcerer is just "magic inherent to the caster" then I think having that magic from a patron or a bloodline can be considered roughly equivalent, then you just make the focus on "full caster who also gets some at-will magic abilities and is pretty blasty."
>>
>>50863554
I know it was barely a T4 but man did I love 3.5 Warlock
>>
>>50863169
Whyd you want to rape a monk? Better a wizard.
>>
Explain 5e Skills to me please. I'm new to DnD in general, but at first glance it seems that you're either good or suck at skill checks from character creation, with no chance to improve.
From what I've read about 3.5, you can add ranks to skills at certain levels so you get better at them.
>>
>>50863652
Skill checks in 5e is roll a d20. Now add ability score if it applies and proficiency if it applies. Proficiency increases with your total? level. You get proficiency from either character creation (class and background) or practicing in game. I think its 250 days and gold and you can gain a skill or something, so downtime inbetween big adventures you can become proficient in something or gain languages like that.
>>
Sick of all the
>Class is strong
>Class is weak
>Not as strong as wizard
Post tier lists

S tier
>Paladin
>Cleric

A tier
>(phb) Ranger
>Sorcerer
>Wizard
>Bard

B tier
>Druid
>Fighter
>Rogue

Shit tier
>Monk
>Barbarian
>Warlock

In numerical order
>>
>>50863680
Oh well that doesn't seem as unbalanced as I was thinking then. Thanks for clarifying anon
>>
>>50863652
You get better at skills you are proficient in automatically when you level up, that's what happens when your proficiency bonus gets higher.

Bards and rogues can get even better than that with expertise. If you want more skills you can pick up the skilled feat. 3.5s skill system was a trap, because it didn't matter if you were a fighter that put 2 ranks in move silently at level 10 at all, since the foes you fought had listen bonuses of +20. This version is pretty superior to that.
>>
>>50863314
Do *you* think the Sorcerer is weak, or have you been told that it is?
>>
>>50863709
>phb ranger above anyone
weak b8
>>
File: 1459221413360.jpg (269KB, 1200x776px) Image search: [Google]
1459221413360.jpg
269KB, 1200x776px
So was everyone in Greyhawk an idiot? Didn't Kas know the only way to kill a lich was to destroy his phylactery?

Vecna doesnt need his eye or his hand when he can just reform, go to Ravenloft and use it as an escalator to Sigil
>>
If I want to be max range Eldritch Spearer is it better multiclass Lock->Sorc or Sorc->Lock
>>
File: 0GOOUjL.jpg (17KB, 139x104px) Image search: [Google]
0GOOUjL.jpg
17KB, 139x104px
>group of friends want to play
>I don't have any of the books or anything from 5e since I haven't played since 2nd
>Tell everyone I'll DM and teach them how to play
>I put in 40 dollars
>friend and his gf put in 40 dollars
>other friend puts in 40 dollars
>last guy doesn't give any money at all
>buy the starter kit, bunch of dice, dm screen, player's handbook and the monster guide
>can't afford DM guide book but I don't really need it physical i guess
>first game, doing the campaign that comes with the box
>everyone is really getting into it, taking notes, playing their character, guy spends half the time staring at his phone
>never takes notes, never suggests anything to the party, only pays attention enough to role dice for combat
How do I get this faggot to pay attention or fuck off?
>>
>>50863760
I want to see your tier list anon
>>
>>50863808
tell him away from the group to pay attention or fuck off
>>
File: bullying no allowed.jpg (54KB, 817x254px) Image search: [Google]
bullying no allowed.jpg
54KB, 817x254px
>>50863709
>"Great at their job and then some" tier
Cleric
Druid
Paladin
Bard
Wizard
Revised ranger
Barbarian
Rogue

>"Good at their job but could use work in other areas" tier
Fighter
Sorcerer
Warlock

>"Good at their job but are easy to struggle with" tier
Monk
PHB ranger
>>
>>50863839
Interesting druid and barb placement. I like the descriptions of your tiers.
>>
>>50863709

>Paladin Tier
Paladin (Fuck yeah)

>A Tier, generally all-round good.
Cleric
Wizard
Druid
Bard

>B Tier, they have a role they do well but often can't do other things as well.
Warlock
Ranger
Barbarian
Rogue
Fighter

>C Tier, has their uses but generally not so great.
Sorcerer
Monk
>>
>>50863785
maybe the hand and eye of Vecna are his phylacteries? think about it, what better way to preserve them than to make them irresistibly powerful
>>
>>50863839
Cleric is definitely my favourite class. It's so versatile, and the options for domains lead to some great character themes.
It's easy to play a character who people forget is a cleric, because they see the character.
Next one I want to try is an Arcana cleric, Magic Missile is a fun sounding addition to the spell list.
>>
>>50864124
Then again I think I might consider moving sorcerer and monk up to B tier.
No need for a C tier.
>>
>>50864149
Your descriptions of B and C tier are pretty similar, makes sense to me
>>
>>50863709
the whole list collapses into a a single
>Cleric
>Everyone else
as soon as you bar feats (GWF and sharpshooter are mathmatically broken) and have a good DM who adjudicates spells in a reasonable manner and knows how to balance out of combat with combat.
>>
>>50864242
Out of curiousity, what makes Cleric so much better off compared to say, Druid or Bard?

I would personally put Wizard and Bard as the main outliers due to some of their higher level spell nonsense.
>>
Recently finished my first ever campaign, so I'd like to tell the story of the most memorable encounter.

To set the story, I was playing the hill dwarf moon-druid Haggis, who hated anything that wasn't a dwarf, nature or alcohol. There was a full blown narcissist, 18 dice rolls per attack, human rouge 'Todbringer'. A human light Cleric, who dump stat ended up being 4 points in Int, so his familiar, played by the DM was essentially the one to govern what he did, and lastly the Dex Paladin who would charge in to ANY encounter head first, if there was pussy involved.

The event takes place in a cave that we entered, to avoid a route where bandits has set up essentially a fortress, we were being guided by a flumph, we in one room, that had a narrow corridor to the next room, in it was 2 trolls, a bunch of gnolls, several goblin and two basilisk.

>Door to the corridor is closed, Druid changes into a polar bear to prepare for the assault
>Paladin and the rogue draw bows and stand back from the door.
>Cleric casts bless on everyone and then opens the door.
>Rogue throw down oil into the hallway, with plans to set it on fire later
>Bear moves to the doorway and taunts the enemies into attacking.
>A basilisk and the two troll charge down the corridor, in that order.
>As the basilisk reaches the bear, the bear grapples and pins it to the wall, blocking the trolls from entering.
>The rogue and paladin fire off arrows, and the bear takes a couple of swipes at the basilisk doing minimal damage.
>Basilisk fails to strength check out of the grapple and can't look at the party to gaze them to stone.
>After a round the paladin gets bored, drops bow and pulls sword and charges.
>DM makes paladin roll to balance due to the oil splash
>1
>The paladin slides on the oil, hitting his face on the face of the basilisk.
>Rogue rolls to launch a flaming arrow to ignite the oil.
>20
>>
>>50864346
More self-sufficiency and it's really easy to play into whatever the campaign's about, no matter what it is.

Really, though, they're all pretty closely up there, but even though they're more powerful than the rest of the classes even with that I'd say to take a step back from power level arguments

Compared to most games, hell, compared to previous editions of D&D, the difference between a Wizard and a Sorcerer or a Wizard and a Fighter or, more relevant, a Wizard and a Ranger isn't really that bad. Both classes will make up their space in the party and it's harder to fuck up a build so that you wind up totally useless.

At most it's not really a tier list the way that, say, Pathfinder's tier list really codifies what a character does.
>>
This is just my opinion from my observations from running games and doing personal number crunching.

> S Tier: Does their job insanely well, can potentially do another person's job as well as their own

Bard

>A Tier: All-around good, very few ways to fuck up a build for them

Cleric
Wizard
Druid
Fighter
Paladin

>B Tier: They have a specific role and can do it quite well, but aren't as flexible as the above classes

Warlock
Rogue
Barbarian
Ranger (revised)

> C Tier: Needs some work/TLC/optimization to be good at their intended job

Monk
Sorcerer
Ranger (PHB)
>>
>>50864363

>DM describes the scene of the explosion turning to fireworks, a romantic display behind the basilisk, the paladin is not making out with the beast.
>The basilisk is so moved by the sudden display of affection and the romantic fireworks in the background.
>DM says the basilisk is female and that it is now charmed.
>The creature hoists the paladin on it's back and turns to fight the trolls.
>The trolls, who are now on fire and having just witnessed fireworks in front of their eyes, are stunned at the sight of a basilisk turning on them.
>The bear druid lets go of the basilisk and punches a troll in the face and they begin to fist fight.
>The basilisk bites the other troll, and throws it down the hallway, colliding with the goblins.
>The gnolls in the other room being the dumb-asses they are, open fire with their bows on anything moving.
>One hits the basilisk in the face, knocking it out of charm.
>The paladin is thrown clear into the first room, where the first troll was just beaten and burnt to death by the party.
>The basilisk turns back around, only to be grappled one more.
>No kissing this time, the beast is killed after the rogue drops the bow and opts for a method involving daggers and about 15 minutes of math to work out his damage.
>The goblins dead, the other troll burning alive from the sticky oil, it books it out.
>The gnolls stay until one is killed by a throwing dagger and the rest leg it out.
>The second basilisk stays to fight briefly, but after a failed grapple and lots of damage, retreats further into the cave to recoup.
>>
I thought 5e had classes that were roughly equal in tier?
>>
>>50864402
I think the 3.5 Tier list could be applied to this, but in the sense of using the categories for reference. Even then, I'm pretty sure almost everything in 5e falls into Tier 3 under those guidelines (strong in one task while still contributing in others, or contributing in a wide variety), with a few creeping into lower Tier 2 (having a few game-breaking ways to overshadow others) or Tier 4 (lacking as much raw power or versatility so that they're either one trick ponies or masters of none)

Even in the most drastic cases though, that's still a nice step up. Even a PHB ranger in the same party as a Wizard or Bard will be bringing something to the table.
>>
File: 1478230616306.jpg (77KB, 563x491px) Image search: [Google]
1478230616306.jpg
77KB, 563x491px
>>50864363
>tfw can't play any high level characters because my friends prefer to cycle between different rpg systems once ever couple of weeks with short campaigns than stick to single campaign.

I'll share some low level shenanigans though

>Role playing as my low int half-orc Barb.
>party is out traveling to the next dungeon
>Spend night out in wilderness. I'm asleep while someone else is keeping watch
>Owlbear attacks!
>Get woken up by watch
>In my groggy state, I think a dead, leafless tree is the monster attacking us
>Charge the tree and attack
>NAT 20
>Tree falls over and pins owlbear
>rest of the party gangs up on it and beat it while its down
>Except me who is still attacking the tree.
>>
>>50864450
Oh yes, these tiers are very close really, especially in direct combat
Utility out of combat, or in a variety of situations IN combat (monsters with resistances, spellcasters, terrain, etc) are what we are using to distinguish between classes
Martial classes have fewer options 'baked in' than others, that's all
>>
>>50864242
Great weapon master definitely isn't broken. Sharpshooter might be but I haven't taken the time to math it out myself and i haven't seen anyone math it out correctly yet. The only reason I put paladin is above cleric is that in groups of 3 or less the paladins damage will matter a lot more.

>>50864450
They're very well balanced but I'm not a fa/tg/uy if I don't argue about minor differences in class balance in a game about role-playing on a Japanese pasta shapes discussion board.
>>
>>50864496

Another time
>Ranger in my party is an alcoholic
>spends all his gold (~80gp) on the best whiskey in town to bring with him
>Later on, be fighting some orcs in their orc cave
>not looking too good
>Ranger decides to drink some of the whiskey in hopes of a power up.
>he projectile vomits in front of him, dealing acid damage in a cone
>takes out 2 orcs, luckily another party member and I manage our reflex saves to gtfo of the way.
>still have 2 shots of whiskey left in the bottle

my gm was pretty based
>>
>>50858974
I stated up chain weapons for a Dragonmech conversion I have been working on

Buzzsword 1d8 Slashing, Tearing

Chatterblade 2d6 Slashing, Tearing

Tearing: This weapons spinning chain can be leveraged into an attack to saw through the target. On a hit the user may expend their reaction to make another attack with advantage, on a hit this second attack deals the weapons base damage only.
>>
File: 1478232815159.png (161KB, 270x348px) Image search: [Google]
1478232815159.png
161KB, 270x348px
Merry Christmas, /5eg/!

I had a thought - would introducing a finessable two-handed weapon be broken?

Something like the Estoc with a d10 or d12 damage dice and the Heavy, Two-handed, and Finesse qualities

Or like an Elven Curve Blade from previous editions except with a 2d4 damage dice and maybe just Two-Handed and Finesse (thought it could have heavy as well.)
>>
>>50864548
I like this!
>>
>>50864598
Two handed is fine, as long as it's not heavy (funny for small races, but at least it stops GWF being Dex)
>>
>>50864598
yeah that would be op
>>
File: 5e 121712 next katana.png (3KB, 794x28px) Image search: [Google]
5e 121712 next katana.png
3KB, 794x28px
>>50864598
Two-handed? Not OP. Heavy? Yes. Combining it with GWM would make Dex unstoppable.
>>
>>50864598
>finessable heavy weapons
>warhammer and greataxe can now be used by 5' 1'' lithe teenage girl / elven warrior

just like my animes
>>
File: 1466423292139.png (42KB, 247x293px) Image search: [Google]
1466423292139.png
42KB, 247x293px
>>50857839
Happy Holidays /tg/. Looking for some quick input on a homebrew racial feature

How does this sound for a +Str Small race with heavy martial history and tendencies?

>You may wield weapons with the Heavy property. If you do so, its damage die is decreased one step and you don not benefit from the weapon's reach property.

Surely a GWM with a d8 or d10 weapon isn't gamebreaking, is it? Or should I revise? The point was to allow for the race to be good with big weapons despite their small size.

For the sake of the argument, assume gnomes and halflings don't exist in this setting anyways because they don't
>>
>>50864548
Okay, that's interesting... yeah, that looks like a good way to handle things. I guess I might have to try and track down the various chainweapons from 40K and take a stab at just writing them up as their own weapons.

>>50859041
So, anyone got any comments on these? Are they that overpowered?
>>
File: 1478169033714.png (96KB, 285x353px) Image search: [Google]
1478169033714.png
96KB, 285x353px
>>50864633
I more meant very specific weapons would be both Heavy and Finesse-able, like an estoc or falchion. So it would be more Dark Souls-esque than animu.

>>50864632
>combining heavy and finesse would make Dex unstoppable
Care to elaborate? Don't most classes that even consider getting GWM have at least Medium if not Heavy armor prof.? Wouldn't dudes in Breastplates and Full Plate not really get any benefit from a full dex build?
>>
>>50864403

This is the only one of these lists that seems credible. Seriously other ones are putting the fucking Ranger over anything else its like they never even read the PHB.Id clarify a few things though

The weakest classes are

Warlock-A caster that could be considered a "3/4ths" caster. Its actually not too far behind others in spell counter but a lot of keeping the class relevant is dependent on your DM allowing shot rests letting you get a Rod of the Pact Keeper and not putting a lot of obstacles in the way of getting rituals

Sorceror-A Wizard with less spells and unspectacular archetypes. The only thing they can do to contribute is find creative uses for Metamagic to make their spells do something a Bard or Wizard doesnt already do ie Stink Clouds your party can walk through

Ranger-Fuck the Ranger.Fuck that class full of Ribbons "Because exploration is one of the pillars of the game" and an archetype so desperately afraid of recreating the problems with 3.5s Druid that they made it worthless. Strike it from the book for the revised Ranger
>>
>>50864664
>So, anyone got any comments on these? Are they that overpowered?
and that nigga drive a miata
>>
>>50864664
>So, anyone got any comments on these? Are they that overpowered?
its no Squeakquel
>>
>>50864674
A full dex build with access to GWM would be a single point of AC behind full plate without the money investment, and be great at range AND melee, and have higher initiative and better resistance to the most common saving throw in the game.

Keep heavy weapons in Strength's wheelhouse. It has high melee damage and grappling/shoving as its main benefits in combat, and should keep those as its exclusive benefits.
>>
>>50864517
>my gm was pretty based
i would have feigned interest in a threesome but end up having sex with just the guy
>>
>>50864598

Was thinking about this as well for Dragonmech as well as several weapons are prominent in the setting.

This is the new fashionable military sword, as the bulk of humans of the setting were primarily horse nomads a couple centuries ago. Nothing fancy, if you can use a rapier you can use this.
Saber D8 Slashing, finesse.

The former elven nation and the Irontooth Clans Have similar dueling blades, sleek curved slashing swords. Sort of a reverse of the usual versatile here.
Curve Blade/Katana 1d6 Slashing (versatile 1d10) Finesse

The Dwarves in defense of their holds came up with several new weapons, some like the repeating crossbow are now wide spread. The infamous Sword flail however sees use mostly with deranged berserkers. The weapon consists of a broadly bladed short sword to which a pair of flail heads are chained. While it causes awful wounds its as awkward and dangerous as it sounds.

Sword Flail 1d10 Bludgeoning Dangerous

Dangerous: On a roll of 1 the user takes the weapons rolled damage ignoring strength bonus..
>>
Cleric 14 is the deadest level in the game, and i'm tempted to multi out of it right now, but my only option is fighter/druid/barb.
>>
>>50864948
What kind of cleric are you?
>>
>>50864656
Go for it. As a DM, I don't see it being that big a deal as most of the smaller classes wind up being DEX as opposed to the heavy STR based two-handed weapons anyway.

I'd even say that the decreased damage die isn't necessary. The reach alone is enough of a drawback for a class that doesn't have it.

That being said, you could also just make it a feat.

>gnomes and halflings don't exist in this setting

Who's using this anon?
>>
>>50865075
War, but due to current party comp i need to spend time healing/buffing/CCing, and rarely have time to damage.
>>
Two-weapon fighting applies to thrown light weapons, right?
>>
Are vistani a caricature of travellers/gypsies?
>>
>>50865254
Okay, so it seems that way, which means that my dagger feat's "When you make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to draw another thrown weapon and make a ranged attack with it against a different target" part was useless, because that's already possible by default. How about instead:

>New feat: Dagger Master.
>Prerequisite: 13 dexterity
>- When you use a dagger, its damage die changes from d4 to d6.
>- When you use your bonus action from two-weapon fighting to make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you can instead make two ranged attacks with thrown weapons against different targets.
>- Your throwing range for daggers increases to 60/120 feet.
>- You can draw any number of daggers during your turn.
>>
>>50864916
Just make the Dangerous thing a flat 5 damage.
>>
>>50862716

The entire Egyptian pantheon.
>>
>>50864598
>>50864674
Estoc is a fucking big thing used from horseback. It should literally be 1d10 piercing, two-handed. No finesse or light. Maybe heavy.
>>
>>50865311
Lets be real, he wants a finesse katana to live out his weeaboo fantasies, but he can't come out and say that so he used falchion and estoc as a cover.

Just imagine he asked about a katana, because that's what he wants. He wants to fly around lie Sephiroth using dex for attacks.
>>
How would you stat a bladed Shakram that can be thrown?
>>
>>50865383
Same as a dagger but with slashing damage.
>>
>>50865285
>Make 3d6 worth of attacks on one turn if you use your action and bonus action
Is this OP? I mean dual wielder feat fighters can only do 2d8. I dunno, I like the d6 for melee, and it would also be cool to have a feature for throwing, but the d6 becomes a bit too much when combined with more attacks...
>>
>>50865383
scimitar but with thrown (Spears, tridents and handaxes are already thrown d6 weapons)
>>
File: image.jpg (598KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
598KB, 1440x810px
>>50859397
I hate my party, they would just murder the "cutpurse" in the street for the slight, they would have been jack asses to the potion clerk, they would assault the guards if they implied they are under arrest, they would murder guards rather than submit to zone of truth. I think its about time they and myself accept themselves for who they are and just give them a campaign where they are the bandits because clearly that is who they are. animals.
>>
>>50865285
>>50865395
What if the d6 was only in melee?

Or if the second throw only did damage equal to DEX mod?
>>
>>50865421
You can't just go around murdering police, there are LG epic casters who will eventually swat your ass down
>>
>>50865421
That's stupid, I would just have the captain of the guard capture them and kill them, without a fuss.
At least be smart about your chaotic stupid evil shit
>>
Howdy /5eg/, I'm still pretty new to the system, and was wondering which class might best support an investigator character? My own leanings are toward Fighter/Rogue. Keen Mind and Observant seem like givens for the concept. Any advice? Thanks!
>>
>>50865634

Rogue and Bard are both solid as the Skill Monkey types but a Diviner Wizard or appropriately fluffed Cleric might work too. I could even picture a Paladin working out in some situations
>>
>>50865634
As someone planning the exact same concept, either Rogue or rogue1 rest wizard
>>
>>50865634
Knowledge Cleric is bretty good cause they can adapt to any situation and temporarily gain any proficiency

Traditionally bard and rogue are the ones who are the most skilled. There is even an Inquisitive rogue subclass in the gothic UA: http://dnd.wizards.com/sites/default/files/media/upload/articles/UA%20Gothic%20Characters.pdf
>>
>>50865634
Inquisitve Rogue is the archetype built for it, either Spy or Urban Bounty Hunter background.

If you want something else, diviner wizard, trickery cleric, or bard all work.
>>
>>50865634
I have a player playing an Observant rogue with 24 passive perception (we rolled stats so +4 wis) and it's an absolute blast. On one hand, nothing is going to check for above 20 passive perception. On the other, it's nice to be able to let him find/know things he really should have no way of knowing - he's playing it and i'm treating it like a sherlock holmes character, so he "deduces" a lot of shit, or gets weird gut feelings a lot.

So yeah it's almost overkill, but nice if your DM gives you benefits for your ridiculous skill levels.
>>
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/crcalculator.html

Massive additions to the CR calculator done. The basic defense-adjusting traits are done, and the start of the CR-adjusting monster features has begun. I just need to input the data for them all and it should be basically feature-complete.
>>
File: undead paladin.png (862KB, 1131x707px) Image search: [Google]
undead paladin.png
862KB, 1131x707px
Any ideas for doing an undead paladin? I'd like to play it but I don't want it to be done shittily or just ripping off dark souls. I'm planning on having him permanently disguised so that he can still work with the party and not freak any of them of any of the people in places he travels to out, but beyond that I don't have many ideas for him.
I was considering using the Deathless from this:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?378396-The-Book-of-the-(Not-So)-Dead-Undead-Options-for-5e-PCs-(PEACH)
as a race, and going for Oath of Devotion, but i'd like some ideas storywise as to why he's still around and what his purpose is.
>>
>>50865793
Why not go for revenant? That would be my first go-to.
>>
>>50865793
>I'm planning on having him permanently disguised
Full helm, brah

Have fun the first time your cleric uses Turn Undead though
>>
>>50865773
Keep in mind, passive investigation, which is what sherlock holmes most often does, putting things together from seemingly unrelated sources, is an entirely different skill.

The player should almost never be taken unawares, and will note the most hidden objects in a room, but they shouldn't inherently deduce connections, or what anything MEANS.
>>
>>50865793
Revenant Vengeance Paladin, however >>50865815 raises a point, I have no idea if they trigger anti-undead spells or not.
>>
>>50865793
>>50865822
Forgot this.

Also I didn't notice you said Devotion, you could say your Revenant's "mission" is to protect someone, if you're making characters as a group work with someone else in the party to make a character who's background meshes with yours- ie: a Cleric who's got a Revenant protecting them because something in their shared backstory.
>>
>>50865822
Revenant doesn't mention your type changing to undead, but I would certainly play it like that
>>
File: Darkest_Dungeon_Artwork_6.jpg (317KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Darkest_Dungeon_Artwork_6.jpg
317KB, 1920x1080px
>>50865815
>>50865822
good idea, but yeah, that was why I was considering using the Deathless as a homebrew, because they're ressed by holy magic they don't count as undead for the purposes of spells like that, because they're "meant to be there" as opposed to evil unnatural undead.
>>50865815
yeah, was gonna go for a silver mask ala leper king from Kingdom of Heaven or that dude from Darkest Dungeon.
>>
>>50865821
Well he also has +9 to that, so 19 passive investigation despite no int modifier. But yes, you're correct.
>>
>>50865858
"passive investigation" is a weird idea, where would you use it?
I feel like all investigations would have to be active, you know?
>>
>>50865656
>>50865661
>>50865691
>>50865698
>>50865773
Thank you all for the speedy replies. Inquisitive Rogue from Gothic Heroes definitely seems the prime candidate, then. The boosts to Insight, Perception, and Investigation look good, and Insightful Fighting for sneak attack means I shouldn't slack too much in combat. That's good, as I'd prefer to keep his abilities nonmagical... though I'll at least keep Diviner Wizard/Knowledge Cleric in mind.
>>
>>50865880
have you never walked into a room, taken a cursory look around, and figured out some stuff from that? Like walking into someone else's bedroom, there's a stank in the air and the bed is freshly made, window is popped and a freshly emptied bin implies someone's been doing the nasty in there recently, wants to hide it so tries to get rid of the smell and the evidence. It doesn't really require active looking around to figure out some things.
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y-_Qe8lLycAdsh5Wwgffq6l00PLg1QqZDA7GTOdXaic/edit
Does this seem like a good idea to you?
>>
>>50865904
probably
>>
File: ER1_9.jpg (17KB, 500x293px) Image search: [Google]
ER1_9.jpg
17KB, 500x293px
What CR would a Proxy be?

Right now I'm thinking something along the lines of super-Vampire without spellcasting, and sunlight is even more lethal, so considerably high (Maybe even above 20), however it dies when exposed to Sun.

I'm not sure if I should tone down their power since there's no guns or anything or leave it the same since there's magic.

Probably going to make it a Fey that acts on impulse, seems to fit the best.
>>
>>50865904
It's a fucking statblock for a lvl 1 PC, congratulations.

Be more fucking specific.
>>
>>50865915
Are light clerics considered good? Are hill dwarves considered good? Are they a good combination? Their racial features seem very underwhelming to me compared to say, half-elves, but they are the only +wis race that my DM is going to allow.
>>
>>50865912
Not him, but to clarify, he's talking about an ergo proxy and not the proxy of a god.
>>
>>50865939
Yes
Yes
Yes they're pretty much the best cleric race, +WIS and +HP, what more could you want
>>
How would you port over the entities from Kult into 5e?
>>
>>50865903
So you'd mention clues to a character with high investigation when they enter a room that you wouldn't to another character? Stuff that others would need to actively look for?
Or would you give some insight of possible connections between /conclusions that could be drawn from clues you would mention to anyone?
It feels like something that is hard to get use out of in game. Something to keep in mind as you go, I guess, if there's a player who's into that kind of play!

I like the idea of helping the players' discussions about Mysteries(tm) without cutting them out entirely by giving them the solution. I'm guessing if a player wants to play a detective character they probably like solving puzzles in real life, so maybe you can use a character with high investigation as a chance to give some 'warmer-cooler' responses when they're working stuff out aloud. Their intuition alerts them to good leads and red herrings.
>>
>>50865980
by that same regard, looking for things in a room and thinking about what has happened is difficult for some people, which is why some can do it and some can't. in that bedroom example i mentioned, some might just walk in and ignore everything in favour of taking a look through their drawers for stuff.
>>
>>50865953
Well "Ergo" Proxy is that specific one, since their names seem to be [name] Proxy. I mean the general "race", if they could even be called that.

But I suppose I'm being a cunt by linking some obscure animu without actually putting any context.

General idea behind it-
>Super speed, generic animu "teleports behind u" level of gofast
>Stronk as fuck, able to punch through steel blast doors
>Their main thing, ridiculous Regeneration. It'd probably be close to 30 hp/round.

It's not really clearly defined but it's implied they also have psionic abilities, and considerable power within their own city that would probably be along the lines of "Can cast Wish 1/day when in it's lair, any wish made this way can't affect the area outside the lair"
>>
You begin your adventure in a world that has all but ended! Nine tenths of its population died catastrophically when the world was overrun by ______________ - some of which still stalk the wilderness outside the few remaining settlements.
>>
>>50866018
Reindeer
>>
>>50866018
Tribbles?
>>
Are there any archtypes outside the PHB that specialise in mounted combat?
>>
Here's a question; how would you DM Passive Investigation (Intelligence)?
As it is a thing.
>>
>>50866018
Tarrasques
>>
>>50866018
T-Rexes in F14s
>>
File: Gulzar.jpg (148KB, 500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Gulzar.jpg
148KB, 500x1000px
>>50866047
Yes the Knight from the Fighter Unearthed Arcana a couple weeks ago.
>>
>>50866018
Sentient butter slimes.
>>
>>50866018
8 int Wizards with diamond pickaxes
>>
>>50866055
I don't think the world can handle more than one tarrasque m8

>>50866056
If I ignore the T-rex part...
>destruction of their natural domain's climate has caused a mass migration of strange giant reptiles from another continent, across a narrow strait in the north that few know of. The unsuspecting kingdoms of the elves and humans are besieged by raptors and tyrannosaurs, killing millions. The dwarves retreat into their mountain homes, refusing the human and elven refugees - who, in places, make their way into the safety of the mountains by force.
>Now, only a few walled-up settlements remain, with trade being rare, travel dangerous, and all the glory of the old civilizations left to ruin. On most nights, the raptors can be heard testing the strength of the village palisade.
>Welcome to... DINOSAUR WORLD
>>
>>50866067
Speaking of Knights, would you let a Knight character take Ritual Caster, however instead of 2 level 1 spells they get 1 level 2 spell (Find Steed) and can cast it as a ritual once/long rest?
>>
>>50866052
Noticing clues that someone skilled at investigation could see without actually investigating; stuff that a detective would notice upon simply arriving at a crime scene but you or I wouldn't see
>>
>>50866116
Well that explains why 90% of all life is dead then doesn't it?
>>
>>50866137
Are you asking as a DM or a player? I would allow it
>>
>>50866137
just multiclass into paladin, it'll fit the aesthetic anyway.
>>
>>50866137
Certainly not at a level when full casters don't have lvl 2 spells yet.

If you're taking the feat at lvl 4, I'd consider it
>>
>>50866145
Player, bumping around ideas for characters since I'm bored.
>>
>>50866157
Did you give up on demanding lvl 1 DMPC followers as a lvl 1 PC?
>>
>>50866157
Its a pretty reasonable request but if you've got a DM who hates going off-rules then who knows
>>
>>50866171
Wasn't me.
>It clearly says in the Noble description that they won't put themselves in harms way
>I KNOW THAT MEANS THEY SHOULD FIGHT FOR ME RIGHT???
>>
>>50866184
The Noble's retinue is basically there to be seduced by the party's warlock.

>>50866052
As >>50866138 says, it's basically the Sherlock Holmes thing.
Walk into the room, immediately notice the mud on the floor isn't the same color as the mud outside the door without even examining it consciously. You want to actually examine the mud? OK, roll investigation.
Or, for example, if you come upon a body with a bunch of arrows sticking out of it, but one player has +11 investigation, the DM would be obligated to inform that player that the body died of poison before the arrows were shot at it, because none of the wounds appears to have bled. You want to identify the poison/check if the arrows were shot into the body or shoved in? OK, roll investigation.
>>
>>50858242
How could one Anon be this cute?!
>>
>>50865980
By no means do you cut the fun, but while that character will see the trap door under the rug, and the coins under the bed, the investigative character will note the ledger being left out as notable, and that, since the door was locked, and his currency is still here, he may have had to leave in a hurry, since the ledger said a collector was coming at noon. Could be a window, a spell,a smuggling compartment, oh, you found a trap door, aha!
>>
>>50859260
They're mostly Evil, with some shitty Neutral comrades who lack commitment
>>
>>50858242
N-n-n-n-n-nani?!
>>
>>50859338
>M-muh capitalism
>M-muh markets!
>M-muh kleptocratic oppression of the many in favor of the few

Bourgeoisie need to leave
>>
>>50859338
pure *sniff* eedeolotchy
>>
>>50859409
No cities, they're just cute, Infernal gypsy-Jews in need of a good home and a loving family
>>
>>50858242
Holy shit! Also, thanks for being the hero we need but don't deserve.
>>
>>50859505
>>50859580
I don't know why any crime that isn't murder is considered "not evil."
If you steal from anybody that's not nobility, you're evil. It could be the last coins of a family that needs it for medicine. Or food. Or blankets to survive the winter.
And smuggling? There's a reason that shit isn't allowed into the country. We don't WANT a black market filled with poisons and explosives and necromantic reagents.
Basically the only time it's not evil to smuggle is if you only do it to avoid unjust tariffs. And even then, do you trust a criminal to deem which taxes are or aren't just? That IS money that goes to repairing roads, after all. When a road isn't repaired and a wagon wheel breaks off, it's on you.

>>50866343
Unscrupulous businessmen are worse than smugglers. At least you can arrest a smuggler.
>>
>>50859616
What's a fun build for War Cleric? Our foolish DM lets us roll ability scores, so my cleric's rolling with 16,11,14,13,18,15 right now. He's a Banite and a half-elf, if that helps.
>>
How does an ASI compare to a feat?
Which wins out between the two?
>>
>>50859783
Have you considered making a more wholesome concept?
>>
>>50865421
I had the real big boy fantasy police show up in session two to kick my parties shit in my campaign (they all fall closely chaotic neutral).

I think something about a large squad of radical flying dwarves scared them.
I let them do whatever they want.
But they've remembered. Every now and then when they're coming up with plans they'll say something like "we shouldn't do that, let's not piss off the good guys too much, we don't want another visit"
>>
>>50866352
If you know European gypsies, you understand why Tieflings aren't well liked
>>
>>50866371
The best build for a cleric is to NOT PLAY EVIL YOU EDGY PIECE OF SHIT.
And then allocate your stats 18 11 15 13 16 14, drop your +1s on the 11 and the 13, and hit stuff hard while also being able to manipulate people.
>>
>>50862001
As a DM, how do I run interesting encounters?
>>
>>50866397
Sorry, meant drop your +1s on the 15 and the 13, obviously.
>>
>>50866400
Variety and twists.
Never have a battle in an empty, rectangular room. A battlefield should have features - a tree or statue to provide cover, a small ravine for difficult terrain, a bridge for strategic chokepoints.
Similarly, a fight should never just be against that band of goblins. Halfway through the fight, the other tribe arrives and you're caught in the middle. Or the goblins' ogre buddies show up. Or the goblin ninja suddenly attacks the wizard. Or the whole room starts flooding and suddenly everyone is either cooperating to get out or stepping all over each other.
>>
>>50866400
Just quickly, consider the environment (ie, ruins, traps, other landmarks), the terrain (where the encounter is happening, consider elevation and the nature of the "ground"), the ecology of the area (ie, does it make sense for your creatures to exist here, how so and what other creatures would also exist here).

Don't just have a straight up fight, that gets dull really easily.
>>
>>50862728
>Pa and Cletus steal horses from weird foreigners who pass through town
>sell horses
>pay to fix poor Billy's leg

I see no problems with this plan
>>
>>50863613
Wizards aren't cute; they're gross
>>
>>50857839

Hey /5eg/, wanted to get some feedback

I've been trying to figure out a way to do starship combat for 5e, so far the best idea I've been exposed to was to use spell slots, so I decided to adapt the sorcerer's Font of Magic class feature tied to the ship's engines, and make starship attacks into spells

This is my rough draft, Ignore the pricing and flavor stuff about restrictions, I was hoping I could get feedback if this damage outputs seems balanced for these HP values for the ships I've got? Also want to know if the Tiefling weapons seem too broken

Thanks
>>
File: MonksCantCastMageHand.jpg (446KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
MonksCantCastMageHand.jpg
446KB, 1024x768px
>>50866509
Anon, please.

>>50866562
I think the best solution is to find a system that does starship combat and use those rules. I'm not saying "don't play D&D," just borrow from another game that already contemplated what you want to do.
>>
>>50866116
But dinosaurs aren't demigods. Adventurers and mighty heroes would kill them to protect the people.

They'd need high level druid support to be more than nuisance beasts
>>
>>50866397
you're both wrong. the best way to play a cleric is to be completely neutral. to everything. every suffering is karma for an earlier slight. every fortune is to facilitate later suffering. Complete balance in the world is the work of the divine, and it must be respected and maintained.
Basically play a superpowered zen being that will only take action when the most stringent of requirements have been met.
>>
>>50866274
The whole point of a squire is sexual release, Anon
>>
Hey /5eg/, I just got invited to join a group doing Storm King's Thunder, and I'm having trouble deciding what kind of character to play.

For class I'm going for Rogue, since it fits most within the party framework (Rogue happens to be my favorite class, so it worked out double for me), but I literally know nothing about the adventure, so I don't know what kind of person would be suited to fighting giants and shit. It doesn't help that SKT doesn't have any fluff or crunch segments for players (like the Backgrounds in CoS), so I continue to be at a loss.

Anyone whose read/played/ran SKT, what kind of characters were the most natural fits for the adventure, or what kind of characters do you THINK would be natural fits?
>>
>>50866580
>that filename
could a wizard give you a handjob from across the room?
>>
File: 1482595427043.jpg (74KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482595427043.jpg
74KB, 720x720px
>>50866580
>>50866562

I appreciate you not rejecting the concept outright

My players are super hard to motivate in terms of learning new systems, so I want to keep to the UltraModern5 supplement in the trove, but I've been looking for a starship combat system what would work well with that that they players can swap between without having to make a separate character sheet. I've investigated Stars Without Number, Gurps, D20mod, etc etc and they all didn't seem quite like what I was looking for. I'm open to suggestions
>>
>>50866594
you're underestimating the number of T-Rexes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WelFLZQiYCo
>>
>>50866392
Ah, but Tieflings are much cuter, and more exotic-looking too. Please adopt a Tiefling today.
>>
>>50866632
>Tiefings are cute
They literally have bone ridge faces, horns and the internal anatomic alchemy of demons.
>>
>>50866604
How does that make me wrong? I just told anon not to play evil.

>>50866618
Obviously, but that's, like, the least interesting use of the spell. The spell doesn't specify you have to maintain line of sight.
>>
>>50866400
Make the situation elaborate so that direct combat is not the clear solution by having different factions with joint and cross goals, have those goals lie somewhere in the middle of the continuum of being good/bad/aligned/opposed with PC goals, a dynamic response to PC actions, and a strongly escalating threat level as the PCs continue to act carelessly rather than carefully.

For combat encounters, they should be frequent but short at 4 rounds, 7 at the most, unless the PCs mess it up. Utilize 1 or 2 gimmicks as the focus of a single encounter. The PCs will overcome the gimmicks but at a minor resource cost (spell slots, hit die, etc.)

As resources are burned up you push the party closer to catastrophic criticality as they begin to stumble with answering the gimmicks.

Interesting: A careful, well prepared Vampire, Mind Flayer, Lamia, etc. after the PCs have lost the preparation edge after encounters with werejackals, mephits summoning other mephits, duergar, etc. in the middle of faction on faction interaction that they are unsure if they want to thwart or assist (shadow thieves, drow, elemental cultists, etc.)

Boring: Ogres and Hill Giants and other lumps of HP smash things in a series of rooms

Easiest guideline
>Make more medium difficulty encounters overall, and fewer deadly encounters
>Think of all the best ways to thwart and nullify the powergaming DPR fighter munchkin and apply
>>
>>50866644
balance being maintained in morality requires you to be both evil and good.
>>
>>50866608
Use SCAG for backgrounds that suit Storm King's Thunder.

SCAG, LMoP, PotA are all concerned with the same general region
>>
>>50866608
Rogue, Barbarian, and (not joking) Ranger
>>
File: dragonborn-feat.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
dragonborn-feat.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I let my dragonborn players choose this feat if they want.

Is it OP?
>>
>>50866397
But he's a Lawful Neutral Banite who bought the great lie of an Evil god out of a desire for a more meritocratic society, where the strong and worthy rule, not those who reap rewards of hereditary status.
The primary cause of this attitude was his second-class status as a half-elf in Elfland, and the Big Event was the arranged marriage of his First and Only love to some noble fop. Thankfully, a wise old hobgoblin hermit taught him that there was a better way.

But I do appreciate the mechanical advice.
>>
>>50866644
So you can massage a potential assassins prostate before he strikes, rendering him useless in fits of orgasm. a perfect plan.
>>
>>50866676
Giving them free flying is a little op. custom armor is not that much of a price to pay for it.
>>
>>50866676
>Dragon's Senses
Pretty weak for a feat

>Dragon's Breath
Not very interesting tactically

>Dragon Wings
Only if they take the feat at level 8 or later
>>
>>50866642
Pretty sure horns have been certified by the Overcouncil as a Class 1 Cute Feature, citizen.
>>
File: Capture.png (608KB, 1089x519px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
608KB, 1089x519px
Robo-Sorcerer from a few threads back.

Which seems the better idea for a close-range oriented Sorcerer? The main idea is cast Darkness>fight bad dudes while in Darkness, so that kinda necessitates being better up close.

>Fighter 1, Warlock 2, Shadow Sorc 17
>Fighter 2, Warlock 2, Shadow Sorc 16
>Fighter 1, Warlock 3 (Book), Shadow Sorc 16

Fighter for beefy armor and Close Quarters Shooter, undecided on which Warlock patron I'll use.
>>
>>50866665

I'm more concerned with a narrative reason for the adventure. Especially since this adventure doesn't give a whole lot of impetus at the outset (our GM basically told us "giants have been more active recently and people are concerned, but they haven't really DONE anything yet).
>>
>>50866711
everyone knows the overcouncil is corrupted and staffed with uggos. of course their perception is off.
>>
>>50866679
Aight, that's actually pretty badass, especially if there's internal conflicts down the line. I apologize for assuming edge. But you know what fa/tg/uys are like.

>>50866684
>Actually having enough hands for more than 2 erozones at a time
Wizards are made for sex.

>>50866712
The better idea is more than a d6 for hit points.
>>
>>50866646
Some of this stuff I've been trying to draft out already, so that's a relief. How would you adjust if the fighter isn't power gaming (dual shortsword Tiefling fluffed as a gruff monster hunter, sword and board Dragonborn Paladin former soldier, etc.)
>>
File: IMG_0894.jpg (653KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0894.jpg
653KB, 1200x1800px
>>50866423
>>50866453
Good points. I'll work on some pregen terrain quirks and events to tweak my encounters. We'll be doing quite a bit of urban and dungeon stuff, so lots of potential diversity with an emphasis on fairly small spaces.
>>
>>50866720
Your DM and players should really have a session 0 to tie their backstories together, but...

SCAG has backgrounds for urban bounty hunters, investigators, courtiers, faction agents, city watch, nobles...

I guess it depends what flavour of rogue you want. Greed-motivated thief (I want to steal the giants' treasure), investigator/spy type, a thrillseeking swashbuckler, a do-gooder who wants to protect the city...
>>
>>50866732
The plan is obviously pumping CON (and maybe take Tough once its 20), having decent AC from armor (maybe a shield too), and working out how to best get resistances so I can use the Shadow Sorc "don't die" ability as best I can to make up for the mediocre hit die.
>>
>>50866735
Then it's a chance to fuck with the wizard instead. Geek the mage.

Intelligent combatants will try to disarm him of his focus; now he can't cast spells with material components.

Zones of antimagic and silence.

Ranged enemies targeting the robed nerd.

Oh, and I bet his strength save isn't so good. What's that, a strong wind starts to blow when you're crossing the bridge over a gaping pit?
>>
>>50866753

>Your DM and players should really have a session 0 to tie their backstories together

We tried, but our jumping off point is "The campaign starts on the road, you're heading towards town x, there's rumors of giants doing giant stuff"

I might just be shit at starting a backstory, but I didn't realize until now how much I always relied on the players options from other adventure modules to make my characters.
>>
>>50866732
No problem. Our party will mostly be pretty mercenary dudes and dudettes with a strong martial slant, so I predict good times.
>>
>>50866791
The Wizard is the only first time player...

It's actually pretty cute. He wanted to be as Merlin as possible, beard, hat, the works.
>>
>>50866712
If you want to go straight-out melee you can take two levels of paladin and put the rest in sorcerer. Though, favoured soul is half-redundant at that point... Honestly, eldritch blast spam is better if you pick up the invocations for it, but that's two extra levels you'll have to invest.

I'd probably say fighter2/warlock2/shadowsorc the rest and don't even try to get close, instead try to repel enemies as frequently as possible while upping charisma to 20. That's the main use of fighter/warlock/sorcerer - spamming so many eldritch blasts nothing can get near. You can get close quarters shooter anyway because that'll give you a precious +1 to hit.

Of course, your DM should step in. They might not allow you to take close quarters shooter for eldritch blast. They might not allow you to use shadow sorcerer when you're multiclassing. Heck, they might be a killjoy and ban you from multiclassing overall.
>>
>>50866817
>First time player
>Chooses wizard
Do you think they'll actually understand how to play?
>>
>>50866862
The guy's no dummy, and Wizard appealed to him the most conceptually because he wanted a pointy hat, a beard, and nerd shit. I'm not opposed to nurturing dreams here. Plus there's also a druid, so that helps.
>>
>>50866720
STK is neat in that the adventure is literally

>Here's the northern sword coast region, look at all these cool things!
>Oh btw giants are doing giant stuff

And it's quite aware that there is little impetus.

Don't stress it. Just dip into SCAG for some ideas and do something simple but fun like base your character out of waterdeep.
>>
>>50866842
Yeah the idea is spamming EB and refluffing it as sword beams akin to the DS Moonlight Greatsword.

The entire character is based on a generous DM since it's a UA race (warforged) with a UA class that honestly sounds retarded without hearing the background (shadow sorc).
I'll likely never even play it, I just like making characters.
>>
>>50866921
That actually sounds great. I didn't like LMoP much when I ran it but I've heard CoS and SKT are great so now I'm wondering if I should give published adventures another chance
>>
So how is Spell-less Ranger?
>>
>>50866971
Wondering the same, especially now when revised ranger exists
>>
>>50866968
Eh. Well, it hurts my autisms because it takes a solid one-trick-pony (Stand back and vomit eldritch blasts all over everything that pushes them back.so nobody in the party has to risk melee combat) and then takes that one trick away from it in favour of looking cool.
>>
>>50865421
The best way is not to drop the good guys on your party but the bad ones. Get the local mafia to pay them a visit, hit then while they sleep and get them in to the boss.
"So you little shits think you are smart? Coming to my town, hitting the shops I protect, killing cops where it will bring the heat to me? You are gonna get a lesson from Mr. Troll here."
Either they will learn their lesson or get a hook for evil campaing
>>
>>50866995
Don't get me wrong, that's what I'm going to do, the goal is to do that while still being able to fight at close range effectively and to be hard to kill (for a caster)
>>
>>50866994
At this rate we'll probably get a revised spell-less ranger just to make things more confusing
>>
>>50867035
The problem is moving into close range completely eliminates half the point where enemies can't even try to make an attack if they can't get close, but I guess if it's 'close range is possible as a back-up' rather than moving in close on purpose.
The other thing is that if you're not maxing charisma out you're not increasing hit chance and thus knockback chance. But eh, if you're a high level you'll get past that with enough ASIs.
>>
>>50866994
That reminds me, do revised ranger's animal companions take their own turn in the initiative order or do they follow the same rules for moving and attacking as the phb ranger's pets? It seems like they get their own turn from the wording
>>
>>50867106
>The animal companion loses its Multiattack action, if it has one. The companion obeys your commands as best it can. It rolls for initiative like any other creature, but you determine its actions, decisions, attitudes, and so on. If you are incapacitated or absent, your companion acts on its own.
>>
>>50867124
Thanks mister
>>
>>50867075
The plan as of now is just 10 in everything but CON, CHA, and maybe a small bit of WIS.

But I'm still undecided about if I want to pump CON or CHA to 20 first, or if I want a Feat, since ASIs are scarce with this build. Close Quarters Shooter can help alleviate CHA a little bit (Checked twitter, they said its fine for spellcasting attacks last I saw) and Shadow Sorc's "dont die" ability is CHA based.
>>
>>50867179
*"Dont die" ability is CON based
>>
>>50866732
1st level wizard can cast mage hand, unseen servant and grease. It's surprising any of them even go adventuring.
>>
>>50867218
Killing Goblins and orcs is statistically the quickest way to learn new spells, rather than practise or studying
>>
>>50867179
It's technically fine for spellcasting attacks though DMs should probably be careful of UA material when used for multiclassing (Say, tunnel fighter shenanigans on a rogue that has booming blade and warcaster, or single level dips in shadow sorcerer or UA ranger). I'd probably only disallow single level dips of shadow sorcerer/ranger though, the other stuff is probably fine.

Yeah, I forgot the not-dying ability was con based. That's kind of a core part of the build, I guess. I was thinking more in general for sorlocks that they need to focus on getting their eldritch blasts as high as possible.

I'd probably still go for charisma. +1 charisma modifier is not only +1 to hit (And higher chance of repelling) but also +1 to every instance of damage. At level 11, that's +3 damage / +6 damage / +9 damage (Or even +12 damage if you get warcaster for whatever reason) a round, depending on how many times you cast eldritch blast. I'd probably prioritize CHA and just make sure con is the second-highest stat.
>>
Would it be imbalanced to let anyone with good STR attempt pinning, even without the grappler feat? I mean no one should take that one anyway
>>
>>50866371
>stats are literally standard array with half of the stats having a +3 and half of the stats having +2 (15+3, 14+2, 13+2, 12+2, 10+3, 8+3)
Eh.

>>50867604
Not at all. Strength characters could use the slight buff, and it's a very conditional buff as usually shove is better.
>>
>>50867232
It's this kind of shit that gives me a mind to implement training rules. You can still earn XP but actually advancing requires studiously doing things related to your adventuring trade.

In opposition to this is wanting ease of play and, frankly, laziness.
>>
>>50867799

Typically, casters studying and practicing and martials doing their training exercises, I would think are part of the activities the party would do while preparing or taking a long rest.
>>
>>50867799
Or just have downtime instead of back-to-back nonstop adventuring (in-world time) and assume that leveling up already includes time for that.
>>
>>50867829
To a degree that makes sense, but when a wizard develops a few new formulae while endlessly pursing owlbears through the woods or something it strains credibility a bit.

Besides which, having a mechanical reason for downtime couldn't hurt at all. Especially if you step away from simple studying and involve roleplay and character development. The cleric especially needs to be acting out his gods will besides just running around stitching up the party and clubbing gobbos.
>>
>>50866018
K E N D E R
>>
>>50867799
>playing a published adventure or any campaign with even the remotest time-sensitive plot
>NAH WE CAN'T STOP THE DARK LORD THIS WEEK, WE'RE PRACTICING SWORD MOVES AND READING BOOKS
>WE'RE GONNA DO THIS EIGHT MORE TIMES BEFORE WE FINALLY DEAL WITH THE BBEG
>>
>>50867985
>escape from prison
>being chased by drow and aberrants and demons in the underdark
>hey guys can we find a nice cave to hide in for a few days, i wanna study my dictionary
>>
>>50867941

It's not so unusual. The Wizard is trudging around with the party, giving his spells a nice long think. Something jumps them, and he observes the party Cleric cast Bless. The Wizard, recalling the incident later that night, ponders if he could apply the same area-spread of the Bless to one of his own spells. The Wizard has a fondness for Firebolt, so he experiments. Boom, he's hit level 5 and he learns Fireball. Sure, mechanically it's the fight and the experience points that get you the levels, but the key word is experience. You can fluff up or down a lot of things, make things as dry or not dry as you want. If you need justification for things, just make it up.
>>
>>50867985
Hah, point. Still, you could just have a rule that you don't NEED to downtime, it just takes a little longer. Or throw around rp opportunities for growth on the fly. The point isn't to tie the party down but to add a little more spice to the gold and XP monotony.
>>
>>50868069
Also, at this point it's less of a system I'm proposing and more just without holding the point of leveling to make the party dance a bit.
>>
>>50868088
How about a two track leveling system, where you need combat xp and (considerably less) roleplaying xp to advance properly?
>>
how about we just use milestones and said milestone level-ups aren't granted in the middle of combat or over the course of a short rest
>>
>>50868134
no
>>
My party right now consists of a cleric, paladin, bard, and fighter.

Aside from Wizard, what would fit well into this group?
>>
>>50868344
Someone with high Intelligence would be beneficial. Do either the Cleric, Bard, or Fighter have reliable sources of damage at a distance? Someone skilled in bows or crossbows might suit too, like a Rogue or a Ranger. Arcane Trickster Rogue would fit both.
>>
>>50868375

Last I talked to the cleric they wanted to play a pacifist healer (or as close to it as possible in 5e). The fighter I know for a fact is going Great Weapon. Don't know a whole lot about what the bard is doing, but the player is pretty new so I have no idea what her build is gonna be like.
>>
Anyone try the TDSO metal dice?
>>
>>50868344
Anyone who can bring the ranged attacks and bring down any flying enemies so the others can wail on them

You're gonna be pretty fucked if there's a flying enemy since usually paladins' only option is javelins, and the cleric can't spend all their slots on guiding bolt

So wizard, ranger, sorcerer, warlock, druid
>>
>>50868344
Sorry bro, you're stuck as a ranged character / CC-support caster. If you don't want to do Wizard (and Sorcerers are just Shitty Wizards) you're gonna have to go Warlock (but you'll spend all your spells on Counterspell, sorry) or Land Druid (Arctic or Grassland).
>>
>>50868455
Ssssssshitty wizard!>>50868419
>>
Are there any actively updated class guides for 5e? I'm pretty new to the system (switching over from PF), and I don't have a complete grasp on everything.
>>
>>50868494
Don't worry about it. Just don't play berserker, way of the four elements, or blade warlock, and try to get 16 in your main stat. There isn't so much complex theorycrafting in 5e.
>>
>>50867232
Who needs to learn new spells when you can cast mage hand, unseen servant and grease?

Is there a sexier higher-level spell?
>>
>>50864403
Yeah this list seems fair

I might maybe switch Sorc and Warlock around - Sorc can nova fucking well, but their limited number of spells known really limits their ability to do anything else.
>>
>>50866712
why are you even going warlock2 when shadow sorc can see through their own magical darkness anyway
>>
New thread time?
>>
>>50868780
i suppose 10 is pretty far down the line
>>
>>50868650
Polymorph?

We need a 5e Book of Erotic Fantasy
>>
>>50868658
Agonizing Blast, friend. Nobody ever just goes warlock1.

>>50864403
Then you've completely missed the point of both the rogue and the warlock. Also, underestimated the sorcerer.
Warlocks are phenomenal - really, better than any other class - at two things: consistent DPR and shenanigans. By "shenanigans" I mean infiltration, thievery, assassination, social interaction, anything really. With a high charisma and various at-will magical powers, they can often do complex things without actually having to roll any skill checks.
Rogues are similar, except they have to roll dice more often. And thieves have the potential to be a great battlefield control class if we ever get a clarification on what "use an object" actually means.
Sorcerers are limited in their spell selection, but their role is "destroy everything ever with fire." They do this pretty damn well. Being weaker than the wizard doesn't make them weak, because the wizard is pretty good. Sorcerers are better than either type of ranger at killing shit quickly.
Barbarians are only considered bad because they don't do what they're expected to do by the players who pick them - go on a rampage and kill everything. But they are still strong (if boring) because they are FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL. Bear totem barbarians are resistant to essentially all damage, have the highest hit dice in the game, and have the potential for excellent armor class. They are, by far, the best tanks.
And I have no idea why you ranked monks where you did. They are incredibly able in any skill monkey business that doesn't involve charisma checks (and I've had a monk that did those too - she was basically unstoppable outside of combat). Their DPS is mediocre at best, but with their added utility (especially Open Hand monks) they can do quite a lot, quite well.
Fuck, even PHB rangers are more than fine as long as you pick Hunter. They have good DPR and excellent wilderness utility.
/rant
>>
File: runawaytrain.gif (2MB, 265x200px) Image search: [Google]
runawaytrain.gif
2MB, 265x200px
>>50868783
>line
/5eg/ TRAINS General confirmed
how have you used TRAINS in your campaigns, or how would you
>>
>>50867985
>not needing a montage to git gud to beat the overlord

>time sensitive plots at all
Screw 'the world is gonna end if we don't get there in 7 days!'
It's much better if the plot dictates that in 7 days something valuable will be lost, but it leaves players enough room to say 'I think it'd be better for us if we prepared before heading out'

The only issue is 'why don't we just long rest constantly?' to which I point towards the long-long rest (7 day) rules.

>>50868797
To be honest, rogues/warlocks/sorcerers feel like they only lock their true potential through multiclassing.
>>
>>50868650
Depends what you're into...

Rope trick, hold person, enlarge /reduce, animate dead, polymorph, Evard's black tentacles, Mordenkainen's faithful hound, Otto's Irresistible Dance, clone, weird magic mouth, tongues
>>
>>50868833
>multiclassing
Assuming you meant "unlock," I wouldn't necessarily argue, except to say that they're still fine on their own.

>>50868854
Highly relevant: http://oglaf.com/rigormortis/
>>
>All these tier lists
You guys have no idea how laughably disparate 3.PF classes were. By those standards, literally every 5e archetype is between B and D. And D is only two archetypes.
>>
>>50866115
what is this meme?
>>
>>50868873
Rogue works with sword-and-board martials to give them damage even if they don't get extra attacks beyond 5, and their level 5 feature can apply quire widely, too, along with evasion, expertise and all that.

Sorcerer is kind of like a worse wizard unless you can make use of metamagic. Oddly enough, quickened/twinned spell is great for melee or eldritch blast combat.

Warlock is, again, feeling a bit weaker than a wizard but with other odd features that make them good for multiclassing. Eldritch blast scales by level, not warlock level.

The problem with sorcerer and warlock is going full class in them just doesn't seem worth it compared to some other full casters.
>>
>>50868927
Wizards no longer require Ints of 10+[circle level] to cast those spells, so you could get away with casting 9th circle spells as an 8 Int Wizard and put all your stats elsewhere. It's fine as long as you never do anything involving DCs.

Diamond pickaxes arose because some fucking retards didn't pass the geology portion of their 4th grade science class and thought that "hard" minerals can't be brittle or subject to shock and breakage. They then pretended to have been playing retarded all along, but we know better.
>>
>>50868959
I get the sorcerer comparison, but you should not compare the warlock to the wizard. They're not meant to fulfill the same role.

Warlocks aren't strange casters. They're magical skill monkeys.
>>
File: holyinquisitor.jpg (73KB, 500x642px) Image search: [Google]
holyinquisitor.jpg
73KB, 500x642px
NEW THREAD
>>50868966

>>50868966

>>50868966

>>50868966

>>50868966

>>50868966
Thread posts: 404
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.