[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General - The Future Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 47

File: meditation.jpg (85KB, 736x901px) Image search: [Google]
meditation.jpg
85KB, 736x901px
>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5emegaanon's super useful tools, check 'em out if you haven't yet.
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

Previous thread:>>50857839

What's the best use of oracles you've seen in a campaign? PC or NPC

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
File: 1449431874228.png (138KB, 358x360px) Image search: [Google]
1449431874228.png
138KB, 358x360px
We've planned to meet up with the D&D group for New Year's Eve, what should I buy them as gifts?
>>
>>50868797
>Agonizing Blast, friend. Nobody ever just goes warlock1.
oh. i thought your whole concept was fighting up close. i would honestly just skip either warlock entirely and make an up close fighter of some kind, or skip fighting in magical darkness entirely because you're a ranged combatant. i mean you can do both, but warlock 2 just to have a slightly better attack cantrip is a huge waste.
>>
>>50868966
>What's the best use of oracles you've seen in a campaign?
The BBEG of the campaign is a man-made magical oracle intended to come up with the best military and political strategies / spy on distant figures, got fed too much knowledge, and wound up way smarter than its creators.

Now it's a runaway God with an ever-growing network of divination sensors everywhere and an army of human "priests" to do its bidding (grow said network, "correct" anyone who is even thinking of harming it).

It's basically the magical fantasy equivalent of "whoops, the AI got away from us and now we're its bitches".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRq7Muf6CKg#t=1m02
>>
>>50869020
Butt plugs shaped like your dick so they can warm up before each session
>>
>>50869064
What is the oracle itself? Magical zeroes and ones? Or does it have a physical presence?
>>
>>50869030
I wasn't the person you were asking. I suppose he could pick any other invocation. Invocations are awesome.
>>
>>50869081
>Invocations are awesome.
true that
>>
>>50869080
It began as a number of runed crystal blocks arranged in a specific configuration and became more complex and large as time went on, eventually encompassing a massive underground pyramid. When it finally achieved "sentience" its whole consciousness shifted into pure magic and thought. It now has an incorporeal entity that inhabits its original pyramidal complex the same way that the specific patterns of human neurons and chemical processes birth a soul which sits in the body.

As it was intended as a military weapon, it was constructed to be unassaultable, uninfiltratable, for fear that the enemy nation might learn of its existence and sabotage it. None of its builders ever thought they'd need to "kill" it or that it would get away from them, so it's as secure as they could make it. It has continued to expand its capabilities and secure itself even more, using its immense knowledge and crude precognitive powers to design defenses unconsiderable by mere mortals.

Its chief weakness is that it is incapable of direct manipulation of objects outside of its complex. It has rudimentary spellcasting capabilities within its own body, which it uses to carve and position new crystal blocks that expand its power, but it cannot cast anything like an offensive spell. It has nothing like golems or other autonomous internal/external defenders under its control, only the human priests (which it cannot grant spells to) which all serve of either their own volition (they earnestly believe if it is a nascent God worthy of their devotion) or fear (because to turn on it risks certain destruction at the hands of other priests or the political machinery that also lives in fear of its knowledge). It essentially has life-ruining blackmail on everyone, and if that's not enough to get people to cooperate, the assassins will.
>>
>>50869020
Spellbook cards for their class
Gamescience dice
Miniatures of their character
Props for their character
>>
Still trying to nail down the dagger master feat. Realized three attacks every round is way too much so tried to nerf the throwing slightly.

>New feat: Dagger Master.
>When you use a dagger, its damage die changes from d4 to d6.
>When you use your bonus action (from two-weapon fighting) to make an off-hand ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you can immediately make another ranged attack with a thrown weapon against a different target within 5 feet of the first target.
>Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attacks using daggers.
>You can draw any number of daggers during your turn.
>>
>>50869201
It is reliant on "willing" humans to mine and transport the raw materials needed for its physical and spiritual growth, enforce its directives, and expand its divination "coverage" through the creation and installation of sensory equipment. It cannot simply spy on distant locations or persons; it needs attuned crystal devices placed in proximity.

It accomplishes the spread of these devices by providing beneficial services to the owners. A town or farm with an Oracle Obelisk in it receives weather and geological forecasts, instantaneous transmission of news and market information from other networked locales, advanced warning of approaching enemies (monsters, wild animals), and so on. Private citizens seek smaller devices for their ability to read and relate documents and signage, act as a mail service, and remember things for them. The devices have a detection range limited by size and form, and must be connected to the larger "network" that stretches back to the actual Oracle to function (a personal device doesn't work in a town without an obelisk; an obelisk doesn't work if someone breaks a repeater station that connects it to everything else).

The commonfolk think it's benign and about time those damn wizards did something for the peasantry. They enjoy when some uppity nobleman who dared speak out gets revealed as a terrible person (whether or not they are actually guilty of the stated crime). They aren't even aware of the whole constantly-being-spied-on part, so the Big Brother aspect flies right over most peoples' heads.
>>
So warlock is about at will stuff with their invocations, wizards are about sheer amount of spells known, and sorcerers are about stronger spells or refreshing their spell slots. Is there any way to bring them all up to par with one another?
>>
>>50869201
>That oracle's name? Roko's basilisk.
>>
>>50869333
Sorcerers need a bit of a boost in versatility to match the wizard.

Warlocks are completely unrelated and shouldn't be judged against the other two.
>>
>>50869290
>any number of
railgun when?
>>
>>50869310
It needs to be destroyed
>>
>>50869513
>destroying the medieval internet
Do you know how bad hte crop yields would be if you did that? People would starve. Why do you hate the peasantry? What's more, the economy would tank! We'd all go broke. It'd be total anarchy. Rioting in the streets. The Oracle brings law and order. Things are so much better now.
>>
>>50869544
Son, I picked the Tracer Tong ending in Deus Ex.
Computer Fascism is still unacceptable.
>>
File: pay attention to me.gif (1MB, 355x200px) Image search: [Google]
pay attention to me.gif
1MB, 355x200px
I need some calm and fitting background music
>>
>>50869569
fitting of what
>>
>>50869587
walking down a nice dirt road or adventuring through some light forest. Also for inside a dungeon/cave, bonus points if it has no obnoxious horn swells
>>
>>50869605
try this https://play.spotify.com/track/5YUH290qLRcSo2VMuafShy?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open
>>
Are there any rules for diseases?
>>
>>50869563
A dictatorship isn't so bad as long as it has everyone's best interests at heart. The problem with human dictatorships is they don't; people are corruptible, but the Oracle is perfect. It will never harm the undeserving, and it will never let the immoral prosper. It's everything we've ever claimed to want from a God, but it actually ACTS.

The origin of the term "fascist" comes from the fasces, a bundle of sticks surrounding an axe. It symbolizes collective strength through unity; a single stick can be broken, but together they are strong. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and the Oracle, unlike any man, can see all the parts.

How can you deny the prosperity and safety that the Oracle has brought us?
>>
>>50869639
A utilitarian dictator is still a dictator. Give me liberty of give me death.
>>
>>50868978
I think it's a perfectly fine comparison to make.

Wizards get rituals. Warlocks can get those rituals through an invocation and tome, but they're only replicating a wizard.
Warlocks can get disguise self at will. Wizards get more spell slots, so they can afford to.

Warlocks are worse casters, but they get light armour, a few boons and 1d8 health but in the end I think the loss in casting makes them not very much better than a wizard in utility. Their main strength is Eldritch Blast, which the wizard can't compete with in cantrips.
>>
>>50869635
I don't know the official rules, but I let my party make a constitution saving through. If they fail, they get disadvantage on everything that would make sense. Every day they get to make another saving throw chance to become cured.
>>
>>50869655
You have no right to make a decision that sends the rest of us into squalor just to satisfy your own desires. You can find your liberty beyond the lands of the Oracle. Get out, heathen.
>>
>>50869671
>>50868978
Oh, I will say that warlock gets some unique things like invisible familiars, armor of agathys, hunger of hadar...

In the end, though, many of those things still work fine with multiclassing and later on warlock isn't getting anything awfully unique. From 5 onwards while warlock has a few unique utilities that wizard doesn't have/can't use as often, the wizard will have unique utilities that warlock doesn't have/can't use as often.

Bard is a real skill monkey caster.
>>
>>50869290
Eh, I feel it doesn't warrant my ASI. Especially when I can get +2 dex and just pick a differing weapon. I think you gata make it really appealing.

Advantage to conceal daggers.
Weapon dice which roll a 6, add extra d6 damage
When you attack a target, you can make a extra attack against a target within 5 feet of that target.
You can draw a dagger as part of any other action
Daggers don't add to your carried weight
You can make proficiency number of daggers (shivs) as part of a short rest (one use) in any situation (prison, wilderness)
Good at poison application, advantage or something with poisons
Reaction to give a ranged attacker disadvantage (knocking the projectile out of the air)
Climb speed (using the daggers to climb)

Just a few examples of wacky stuff that could be cool.
>>
Maybe a stupid question here, but I want to be sure:

When I make attacks with a Tentacle Rod, are they weapon attacks? I would think no, but I'm not certain.
>>
>>50869934
Well, this is mainly to bring daggers up to par with other weapons for those who want the visual, and maybe something little and unique on top.

I really like the shivs idea.

The drawing daggers part is what I'm already attempting to communicate.

I don't really like the rest.

I considered adding one more die of sneak damage, but that might be too much?
>>
I'm playing a Revised Ranger (Beast Conclave) at level 4 and am about to hit 5. I'm thinking of multiclassing into either Fighter or Rogue at some point as either class would open up a lot of versatility, but I can't decide where to break off of Ranger. Level 5 gets me a 2nd attack for my wolf though Coordinated Attack and 2nd level Ranger spell slots (not that big a fan of the Ranger spell list to be honest), but if I wait until level 6, then I'm gimping myself on atleast one ASI (which means gimping my wolf on an ASI as well).

There's also the option of staying straight Ranger too. Pretty conflicted. Anyone play a Beast Conclave Ranger to a decently high level with some insight to share?
>>
I got a question for you guys. I am in the process of getting into DnD myself, Im currently designing a oneshot to teach most game mechanics. That being said I never have DMed before or played DnD.
At the end of the oneshot dungeon (its going to be a museum that got ransacked by goblins and made home.)
There is going to be a boss.

Heres the question. How would you balance a boss thats both fun and challenging at the same time? There are 3 players (Lvl 2 Rogue,Druid,Sorc).
My initial idea was a goblin boss wielding a magic shovel that can dig fast and fling sand around, the area is covered in pitfalls.

How would I stat an encounter as the one I described above.
>>
File: guyver_melting.gif (430KB, 400x301px) Image search: [Google]
guyver_melting.gif
430KB, 400x301px
>>50868966
>What's the best use of oracles you've seen in a campaign? PC or NPC

Over in /epg/, some dumbasses asked an "Oracle" AI a question about extrastellar space that it didn't know.

So the AI dispatched Von Neuman probes to deconstruct the solar system in order to send a fleet of observation drones into the Milky Way.

Now THAT is good use of an oracle.
>>
>>50869635
Just visit your friendly level 3 Cleric, bro.
>>
Could you GFB and/or Shillelagh an animate Staff of the Adder?
>>
>>50870157
Just use a ready-made oneshot like We Be Goblins on your first time brah

https://www.reddit.com/r/.../5e_i_made_a_one_shot_of_we_be_goblins/
>>
>>50869290
I'd honestly put it all under a bulky 'throwing master' feat.

>Whenever you throw a weapon, you may immediately draw a new weapon/improvised weapon that is on your person.
>You do not gain disadvantage from throwing a non-improvised thrown weapon at long range. Thrown weapons qualify for from the 'sharpshooter' feat.
>You may add your damage modifier to your bonus attack when using two-weapon-fighting with thrown weapons.
>The damage of non-finesse 1d4 thrown weapons is 1d6 instead, including for improvised weapons.
>You are proficient with all improvised weapons when throwing them.
>You can make a grapple with an appropriate thrown grappling-hook-style weapon at range. Provided it is within 20ft. Instead of rolling athletics, you make an attack roll against the enemy's athletics/acrobatics. The rules for getting free are the same as for the net.

I don't know, really, the feat I just suggested doesn't have a key benefit such as stunning an enemy on a crit or giving a +10 damage type thing. I feel that it'd be better to have thrown weapons along with a dagger feat at the same time, however.

I don't actually think this is strong enough and it's too bulky, but I'm not in the best state (christmas) to balance it out right now.
>>
>>50870323
We use this homebrew throwing feat at my table

THROWN WEAPON MASTER
You can draw a weapon as part of an attack which uses it.
ï‚·Your thrown weapon attacks ignore half and three-quarters ï‚·cover and gain a bonus to the damage roll equal to your proficiency bonus.
You can choose to inflict nonlethal damage with a thrown ï‚·weapon attack.
ï‚·As a bonus action on your turn, until the end of your turn, your thrown weapon attacks do not take disadvantage from being made at long range.
>>
Do critical hits on unarmed attacks do 2+STR?
>>
>>50870323
Well, I want it to be mainly useful for rogues who want to use daggers instead of rapier/shortsword, the throwing is just a little bonus. I feel like rogue with dagger is such an iconic look. The 1d6 is meant to be mainly for melee.
>>
>>50868966

Hey, reposting from last night.

Looking for some feedback on some 5e StarShip weapons I'm trying to balance for a Sci-Fi themed game I'm running, particularly interested in the advice of other GMs

Do the damage outputs for the weapons in this PDF balance with the HP levels I've assigned the different ship classes?
>>
>>50870436

No. You double die rolls; 1 is not a die roll.
>>
Would a 16-16-16-8-8-8 variant human fighter played like demon's souls be a bad idea
>>
>>50870513

What kind of weapon were you considering?
>>
>>50870513

Enjoy eating every Wisdom save spell all campaign.
>>
>>50870549

Gotta eat something
>>
>>50870546
Everything.
>>
>>50870435
That's honestly something that only really qualifies for being a 'free feat' over a training course or something.

It pretty much enables you to use thrown weapons, but as a feat you might as well take a ranged weapon and sharpshooter or something.

Not saying I came up with anything that makes it viable over sharpshooter/great weapon master either, but there needs to be a key combat feature in there somewhere, I think.

>>50870483
Well, daggers are already perfectly fine. They allow a rogue to use two-weapon-fighting at range for only a -1 damage per hit penalty, which is barely anything at later levels.
Honestly, you should probably rule that by standard a thrown weapon user can draw more thrown weapons, it's kinda unfair otherwise.

Dual wielder still works in that case if you have 1d6 non-light finesse thrown weapons, though dual wielder is still just a '+1 damage, +1 AC' feat.

I'd probably give dual wielder a slight buff myself, but I guess the 1 AC could be worth it.

>>50870549
>implying it isn't a dex fighter with 16 in dex, con and wis for all th ebest saves
>>50870513
How is it not 16-16-15-8-8-8? Is this not point buy?
>>
>>50870563

>How is it not 16-16-15-8-8-8? Is this not point buy?

Triton.
>>
>>50870563
I'd go 15+1 Str, 15+1 Con and then 15+1 Dex from Athlete
>>
>>50869699
The people deserve freedom. We're going to give it to them no matter the cost!
>>
>>50870435
>You can choose to inflict nonlethal damage with a thrown weapon attack.
5e doesn't really have "nonlethal" damage, though. When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with an attack, you say "but I just want to knock it out, not kill it", and you can do it with any weapon.

>gain a bonus to the damage roll equal to your proficiency bonus.
That's one of the biggest continuous flat damage bonuses in the game. The Dueling fighting style gives you +2. Magic items rarely go above +3. Other abilities that give more bonus damage are conditional (get +10 to damage when you take -5 on the attack roll) or require spending a resource (rage damage, which caps at +4). With the exception of a 20th level barbarian, no character without epic boons even gets that big of a damage bonus from their ability modifier.

>As a bonus action on your turn, until the end of your turn, your thrown weapon attacks do not take disadvantage from being made at long range.
There doesn't really need to be a bonus action for this. Sharpshooter lets you do this automatically. Though if you were trying to balance this with Sharpshooter by requiring a bonus action here in exchange for the much, much bigger damage bonus above, it's not nearly enough.
>>
>>50870561

I mean, it won't be that bad. but like >>50870549 said, you've gonna have 3 abilities where you just eat it. Do you want to just be a brick? Do do that all you need is Con and then STR or DEX, maybe both, so you can do it with that array no prob. It's more a question of what are you okay with being bad at?
>>
>>50869267
This guy gets it
>>
>>50870601
I guess I just want to munchkin physically.
>>
As a 4th level bard, is it better to choose an ability score increase or a feat?
>>
File: ncBRKnRcA.png (240KB, 1360x1600px) Image search: [Google]
ncBRKnRcA.png
240KB, 1360x1600px
>>50870664
The best choice is whatever fits your character the best
>>
>>50870664
Generally you want to spend your first ASI or two maximizing your key ability scores (for a bard, that'd be Charisma and probably Dexterity), but if you choose a feat instead, it's not like you'll be completely hobbled. Your spell attacks will miss and enemies will succeed on saving throws about 5% more than they would otherwise, and you'll have fewer uses of Bardic Inspiration to go around.

For a Lore bard, this is a much bigger deal, since they're a bit more dependent on spellcasting. But if you're playing a Valor bard, then leaning on your combat abilities is okay, and maybe taking a feat will allow you to do that better.

It also depends on what feat you were planning to take.
>>
>>50870664
What are you going for? I'd say more CHA and DEX is always good.

Warcaster might be cool on a bard depending on your style. Maybe one of the melee feats or sharpshooter if you're Valor.
>>
>>50868966
>Like first paladin classes
>New paladin UA
>Both are pretty metal
>Conquest gets good oath spells, decent divinities, a great aura, meh 15th level, and metal capstone

>Treachery
>oh baby
>Those utilitarian oath spells make me moist
>Solid divinities
>Aura that encourages getting stuck in the thick of melee
>Useful disengage at 15
>Great capstone

I am infinitely sad I can't play them both in a short time span.
>>
>>50870643

Okay, Here's a super basic build where you should just be able to beat some ass pretty reliably,

Put two of the 16s into CON and STR, put the two +1 bonus's you get from variant human into these also to roll then over to 17 each

I would say put the remaining 16 in either DEX of WIS, depending on what you want to be good at in an emergency, acrobatics or perception/survival

Take Dueling as the fighting style, grab one of the 1d8 one handed martial weapons, grab a shield, grab the Chainmail, take the static HP increase for the first few levels

As for the bonus human feat there's a lot of cool options. Savage attack is cool because you can reroll the damage die, Shield Mastery lets you do some cool shit with shove, so read through the section and see what kind of play style you want

At 3rd level grab either champion or battlemaster

But yeah that should put your damage output at 1d8+5, with an AC of 18, and a starting HP of 13->22->31, you'll mash some heads
>>
>>50870673
What fits a War Cleric obsessed with becoming strong and overthrowing corrupt nobility to win back his waifu? I need a level 4 ASI or feat.
>>
>>50870879
>cleric
>waifu
that better be a platonic waifu you celibate-sworn piece of shit
>>
>>50870879

Seems like if he's obsessed with becoming strong at lvl 4 it would be an ASI to STR or CON, then maybe a feat at the lvl 8 increase
>>
Is there any Fey-Touched backgrounds? I can't exactly find any official ones.
>>
Is Weapon Master ever worth taking?
>>
>>50870711
>>50870739
It's for a lore bard. The problem with a stat increase is I end up with an even increase on one build (S8 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 14 Wis 8 Char 18) but an odd number on another (S8 Dex 14 Con 12 Int 14 Wis 10 Char 18 +1 extra point) and I don't know which build is better. I was thinking of taking warcaster or inspiring leader.

>>50870673
Tiefling Bard, Emerald Enclave Faction Agent Background, Chaotic Neutral. Any ideas?
>>
File: paladin of good times brah.jpg (256KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
paladin of good times brah.jpg
256KB, 760x596px
>>50870906
>>
>>50870921
The numbers given in build are with Ability Score Increase taken. Added 1 to Char and 1 to Int in the first one, and 1 to Char plus a floater in the second.
>>
>>50870936
Take the first one if you have a fun idea for playing lower-than-average wisdom (a super-skilled and smart bard but too self-obsessed to notice what's happening around him, perhaps?)
>>
>>50870906
Nope, they totally boned, but she got married off to some chucklefuck later, and the PC got banished.

>>50870910
That could work. Are heavy weapons worth it without the feat, or is warhammer and shield acceptable?
>>
please let the Mystic version three be out by Feb
>>
>>50871102

I think the greatsword and maul are, not so much the greataxe. The Halberd is neat because of reach.
>>
>>50870592
>you say "but I just want to knock it out, not kill it", and you can do it with any weapon.
But not a ranged attack.

>That's one of the biggest continuous flat damage bonuses in the game.
But it doesn't put it ahead of the damage curve vs other weapons & feats. Yes, its a big bump at high levels, but it has to, in order to be viable.
>>
>>50871005
That's a good idea. Actually works with the characters I'm playing. Thank you.
>>
>>50870563
I thought adding +6 Dmg to each thrown weapon attack at higher levels would have sufficed...
see>>50870592
>>
Does anyone have good resources for Emerald Enclave lore?
>>
>>50871180
Halberd would be pretty badass. Might convince my eldritch knight mercenary pal to halberd it up with me so we can be polearm pals.
>>
Where the fuck can I buy big sheets of paper with big grids as if for a battlemap? Vinyl maps are starting to get a bit gay.
>>
>>50871429
Amazon, presumably
>>
>>50871362
A fighter wants as big a boost to damage on every hit, so +1.5 to damage on a maul is a significant boost to them. Also, they might not benefit from polearm mastery's bonus action if they're using war magic. Also, they might not benefit from polearm mastery's reaction if they're using shield/absorb elements.
Unless they're going quarterstaff+shield+multiclass eldritch blast knight or something, they probably won't be so well off using PAM unless they already have GWM. It'd be better on a battlemaster, I think.

Of course, they might be an EK who has no idea what they're doing, doesn't have shield+absorb elements and doesn't have GFB+BB and they'd hardly suffer for going halberding. Or, sentinel+PAM is still a cool combo for them

Get a wall of sentinel+PAM pikemen.
>>
>>50870581
If you're going heavy armor, might want to do +1 Dex, +1 Con, +1 Str from Heavy Armor Master
>>
>>50870581
>>50871937
Yeah. Makes a lot more sense. Athlete is cute and all, and might be worthy if you have a team of grease mages or something, but otherwise doesn't seem worth it in comparison to something like heavy armour master. But then, you might as well sacrifice a point of dex for two points of wis, or two points of dex for four points of wis if that's possible.
>>
>>50871878
Fair points. I'll encourage him to optimize, I guess. Being more effective at killing is arguably in character, as a War Cleric dedicated to efficiently dominating situations.
>>
Question on Magic Initiate:

If I pick up Feather Fall with the feat as an Arcane Trickster, can I use a spell slot to cast it if need be?
>>
>>50869201
So basically you made a BBEG that is holding everyones browsing/porn history on ransom.
>>
>>50872176
No. Magic Initiate is a separate 1/day power
>>
>>50872296

I ask as per the ruling in Sage Advice about classes like the Wizard being able to use spell slots for the MI spell, but I'm not sure if the same ruling extends to the EK and the AT. A quick search makes me inclined to say yes, but I wanted to make sure.
>>
>>50872313
>choose one 1st-level spell from that same list. You learn that spell and can cast it at its lowest level. Once you cast it, you must finish a long rest before you can cast it again.

No spell slots allowed.

No spell slot either. This isn't like the Simpsons.
>>
>>50871188
>But not a ranged attack.
I missed that. So then it's mostly a matter of language; since "non-lethal damage" is no longer a thing, it'd be something like "When you reduce a creature to 0 hit points with a ranged attack made with a thrown weapon, you can choose to knock the creature unconscious, rather than kill it."

A +1 in damage is roughly equivalent to increasing the die size by one (d4->d6->d8). If you increase the damage die of a handaxe by 6, it's equivalent to a d18, compared to a greataxe's d12. Plus you can throw it 60 feet (or throw it 20 feet and keep your bonus action for another attack, because it's light).

At 5th level, when a martial character gets Extra Attack, it's a +3 to damage. With 18 Strength, you can do 1d6 + 7 (10.5) damage on a hit over 60 feet, or use a bonus action to do 1d6 + 3 (6.5) damage an extra time, or 27.5 total. A barbarian at this level can rage three times per day, with each lasting up to a minute a pop. With a greataxe, that barbarian would deal 1d12 + 6 (12.5) damage twice, or 25. Anyone with this feat would outdamage a raging barbarian every time they take the Attack action, and they're not constrained by a time limit. It only gets worse from there.
>>
This whole thread is bullshit.
>>
>>50872431
>>
Has anyone built a mundane crossbow fighter before?

Im torn between the UA Sharpshooter and Champion.

Pros & Cons for each
>UA Sharpshooter
+ 18th level lets you fire an additional attack if its your first action in a combat. - Seems powerful if I live that long.
+ Can sacrifice advantage to gain +1 Attack, which at level 5 means (3) and at level 20 means (5)
- I have to take the Crossbow Expert Feat to multi-fire, but its other benefits overlap with the 10th level "Close Quarter Shooting"

>Champion
+ Immediate 19-20 crit range, improving to 18-20 later.
+ Bonus to all physical checks without proficiency

Looking for insight as to which is better
>>
>>50872514
>Has anyone built a mundane crossbow fighter before?
fulgore from ki looks like predator. dont no if u scrubs noticedd
>>
I let my friend choose Genasi as a Race for our first campaign which is LMoP. We have HotDQ up next.

How does the world react to a water genasi druid? How rare are they? Any lore I should know?
>>
>>50872350

Yes yes, that's an outdated ruling.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats/
>>
>>50872541
>How does the world react to a water genasi druid?
Average people would be scared as hell.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0tTLbghG2xn
>>
>>50872523
Not sure I understand the relevance honestly.
>>
whoa once per day in 4e the warden can turn into his fursona
>>
>>50872650
>Not sure I understand the relevance honestly.
just wanted to talk about fulgore
>>
>>50872593
We'll it's not like a Water Elemental it has skin and a skeleton like any other race. It's just that the skin is blue and they have weird ears. Maybe weird hands.

That's still pretty weird for common folk I get that, but would the reaction be extreme in a world where all kinds of monsters dwell and different sentient races live together and trade etc.?

The party includes a Drow and a Half-Orc too. Band of monsters except the high elf and the half elf they have with them.
>>
File: Genasi_-_MoF.jpg (151KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
Genasi_-_MoF.jpg
151KB, 500x390px
>>50872677
any of these would just be a monster to most people
>>
>>50872677
>Band of monsters except the high elf and the half elf they have with them.

I thought you were saying this party had non-monster members?
>>
File: Por Que.jpg (20KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
Por Que.jpg
20KB, 375x375px
>>50872548
>If you have spell slots, can you use them to cast the 1st-level spell you learn with the Magic Initiate feat?

>Yes, but only if the class you pick for the feat is one of your classes.
>>
>>50872677
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0URqRE7WhL4
>>
As the great warrior-poet Ice Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."
>>
Chris Perkins.
Topkek.
>>
>>50872705
Is anything other than a human, a monster?

In my mind elves and dwarves and shit we're pretttttttty common. Can find them even in the smallest towns.
>>
File: Hayley American Dad Wedding.png (171KB, 516x383px) Image search: [Google]
Hayley American Dad Wedding.png
171KB, 516x383px
>Truth is the ultimate power. When the truth comes around, all the lies have to run and hide.
>>
>>50872548
I'd say that it's 'If you could normally learn the spell itself with one of your classes, you effectively know the spell as well as being able to cast it one/day'
Which means AT would be fine. That's not how it's said is sage advice.

Honestly, it's such a suboptimal option that your DM should allow it.

Magic initiate is usually more of a fun kind-of-okay option than anything.

>>50873029
Unless travel is really easy (Say, established trainlines) I'd likely say they're not awfully common at all, especially outside of cities where communities are more self-contained and another race has no reason to intrude.

Back in medieval times you didn't get black people in every village in England.
>>
>>50872761
Kek love the voice.

We're playing in Faerun but I made it so that there are common races. Especially in a big city like Neverwinter, pretty much everyone will have seen almost all races even Tieflings and Drows.

People still act weird amongst them and some might or might not interact. Guards will probably follow a drow to see what the fuck he's up to.

Prejudices still exist. It's just that they've seen so many dwarves and elves etc that they know some people just don't fit the stereotype.
>>
How would a necromancer go about creating a post scarcity society based on skeleton labor?
>>
>>50873078
>Kek love the voice.
glad u liked it
>>
>>50873093
church of jergal hires out skeleton labor
>>
I'm planning to be a wuxia lvl monk in my game so I'm watching every kung fu movie there is. So
>can you do a running motion midair to increase your time airborne?
>How do you increase your evasiveness?
>Can i homebrew a buff like the barbarians rage but it doubles my action for that turn (recharging on short rest) or is that too broken?
>>
>>50873209
>>
>>50873209
So… Action Surge?
>>
File: clothweapon.webm (2MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
clothweapon.webm
2MB, 576x304px
>>50873209
>watching kung fu movies to learn wuxia
nigga what are you doing
they're two different genres
>>
>>50873209
>increase your evasiveness
Have high stats.
If your DM allows you to roll stats, roll stats and either
A) Give up if you get bad stats
B) Kinda meh maybe
C) Go for it if you get good stats.
Monk with poor stats will ruin your experience if you expect to be wuxia-tier.
>running motion midair
I don't see what this is supposed to achieve. Are you luigi?
>Can I give my character action surge for free?
No. Take two levels of fighter.
>>
>>50873209
>can you do a running motion midair to increase your time airborne?
No. Just get a ring of jumping or something and do the running motion if you're that autistic
>How do you increase your evasiveness?
Monk's get evasion perks as they level. Also get high Dex and Wis for your AC
>Can i homebrew a buff like the barbarians rage but it doubles my action for that turn (recharging on short rest) or is that too broken?
It's called Action Surge and you get it as a lvl 2 fighter
>>
>>50869267
What's so good about gamescience dice? They look basically unreadable.
>>
I should make a vocaroo b/c I'v got a lot of experience with monks but long story short, don't watch a Chinese kungfu/wuxia movie then make a monk thinking they are the same. Don't change little things in game if you can absolutely avoid it. If you want action surge multiclass as fighter. Play a monk if you like the flavor but don't try and be Li Mu Bai.
>>
>>50870582
Fucking A plus big bad.

Because you can easily argue that it isn't "bad"
>>
>>50873422
I was going to tell you to stop typing like a retard, but this is a good post.

Wuxia martial artists and 5e monks effectively belong to different genres, you'd really want a swordsage or something like that for what you're going for.
>>
>>50873462
>I was going to tell you to stop typing like a retard
Wanna kiss a little?
>>
File: 1382928102417.png (327KB, 2499x2641px) Image search: [Google]
1382928102417.png
327KB, 2499x2641px
>>50873593
>>
Newbie here.

When you roll hit dice per level, do you add it to your previous count or do you just start anew with the higher count you just rolled?
>>
>>50873462
Pure Monk is a bad fit for wuxia simply because most of those fuckers use spears and longswords, but a lot of what Monks can do most accurately represent the nonsense that wuxia guys get up to.

Fighter/Monk is the ideal. I would even argue Open Palm is a better way to go than Kensai because the Flurry tag-ons are some of the most wuxia things. The rest is Step of the Wind and Slow Fall.
>>
>>50873654
It's added to your previous count.
Your level 1 HD are always maximized, and thereafter you roll.
But you really shouldn't roll, because statistically you're going to come up with less HP than just taking the flat value (which is half+1).
>>
>>50873672
>It's added to your previous count.
Thanks. Is this mentioned anywhere in the book? I had a hell of a time trying to find it, and came up with nothing.
>>
>>50873683
It is. In every class description.
>>
>>50873683
Of course it is
>>
>>50873700
>>50873707
It says 'per level after 1st' but it doesn't say whether or not you keep the previous total.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (20KB, 381x107px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
20KB, 381x107px
>>50873683
>Thanks. Is this mentioned anywhere in the book? I had a hell of a time trying to find it, and came up with nothing.
>>
>>50873767
>It says 'per level after 1st' but it doesn't say whether or not you keep the previous total.
wtf this game isn't for you if you don't get basic concepts like this
>>
>>50873790
Show me in the book where it says to keep the previous total and I'll send my book back to Amazon and never post on /tg/ again.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (26KB, 378x118px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
26KB, 378x118px
>>50873810
see ya
>>
>>50873817
You got me. Good bye, everyone.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (6KB, 258x43px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
6KB, 258x43px
>>50873830
>You got me. Good bye, everyone.
Seriously, it was under "Step-by-step Characters" under the heading "Beyond 1st Level"
Me and Mike couldn't have made it more obvious. Try reading the book instead of taking it back.
>>
>>50873859
>Me and Mike

Mike and I
>>
>>50873907
>Mike and I
I'm his boss so I come first. Lol
>>
>>50873830
Good riddance. You better keep your word, fuckhead.
And merry christmas.
>>
>>50873932

then you should have known the dangers of fucking up the verbal components when facing a wizard
>>
>>50873282

I forget the name of that movie but as part of the weird weapons present the main character uses his cane like a sword and then you have a guy who has a steel ball he kicks around like a soccer ball and another dude who carries a Bow that he uses to launch himself at people.
>>
File: 99d49290-765d-11e4-_811395b.jpg (29KB, 780x520px) Image search: [Google]
99d49290-765d-11e4-_811395b.jpg
29KB, 780x520px
Best character backstories?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0eHGWLPUved
>>
I'm DMing for a Sun Soul monk and we realized he can't trigger Stunning Strike with his ranged attacks. Would it break anything if I let him do ranged Stunning Strikes? Monks seem pretty weak so I think it would be okay.
>>
>>50874101
>Would it break anything if I let him do ranged Stunning Strikes?
yes of course
it's not intended
>>
File: flyingarrowsolo.webm (3MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
flyingarrowsolo.webm
3MB, 576x304px
>>50873986
Sword and Butterfly
>>
>>50874101
No, go ahead.

One can't even make the argument that ranged attacks shouldn't trigger it because "you need physical contact to distort the ki in an enemy" when in this case you are literally shooting KI BEAMS at them.
>>
>>50874101
I'd say it's okay. Monks are already squishy enough, after all, and it'd force them to go into squishymelee.

Sure, you're making them do the one thing they're good at better, but whatever. They might as well fulfill their role properly.

However, as DM, it's your job to make sure their combat isn't just 'I stand back and blast repeatedly'. Be aware that allowing them to just sit back and blast repeatedly may make it less fun for them. You could perhaps introduce an interesting utility item for them instead. No, not the usual 'You deal +1 damage!' type weapon, but a fun one.
>>
>>50874170
>However, as DM, it's your job to make sure their combat isn't just 'I stand back and blast repeatedly'.

Because that's so much different than 'stand in front and punch repeatedly', right?
>>
>>50874170
Different guy, but our DM gave a pair of efreeti punishment shackles to our Sun Soul Monk that let him use his bonus action to cause his ki blasts to ignite the enemy (as alchemist's fire) on charges. I think it was 1d6+1 per long rest, max ten.
>>
>>50873986
>a Bow that he uses to launch himself at people
What in the glorious shit?
>>
>>50874170
>>50874169
>Xena can suddenly somehow do this from range
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Mnkw8-OT4
>>
File: flyingarrow.webm (1MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
flyingarrow.webm
1MB, 576x304px
>>50874221
see >>50874142 and pic related
THIS is how you fucking martial, /5eg/
>>
File: 1477173075148.gif (3MB, 379x299px) Image search: [Google]
1477173075148.gif
3MB, 379x299px
>>50874259
Closest we came was shooting the halfling rogue over a wall.
>>
>>50874259
That's fucking hilarious and glorious.
>>
File: pillarthrust.webm (2MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
pillarthrust.webm
2MB, 576x304px
>>50874282
We can do better.
>>
File: 1477517343437.jpg (75KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1477517343437.jpg
75KB, 500x376px
>>50874321
>>
Anons? Serious question here: even in a setting that takes a PFish "yes, sex exists as well as blood and guts" viewpoint, how far can you go before you cross the magical realm barrier?

Like, say there's a race of creepy albino spider-people living in the Underdark who occasionally make nocturnal raids on the surface to drag hapless humanoids down into the dark, where they either eat them or turn them into brainwashed slaves used to do manual labor and incubate the spider-people's eggs, does that count as magical realm or not?
>>
>>50874185
A monk that isn't a sun soul monk might have other goodies that make their life more interesting.

A tranquility monk may avoid punching to preserve their sanctuary, whilst still getting in the enemy's way.
A open hand monk might find opportunities to grapple and prone enemies, or knock them off of platforms.
A shadow monk might be fucking around with darkness.
Sun soul monk gives a nice ranged option. If that ranged option becomes better than 'I just stand there and punch' and 'I just stand there and punch' is never, ever a good idea in comparison, it eliminates one possible option which takes options away from the player.

tl;dr:
I don't care what you think in comparison to a champion fighter or whatever, it should always be the DM's responsibility to make sure the player has room to think of alternative tactics.
>>
File: tableslice.webm (2MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
tableslice.webm
2MB, 576x304px
>>50874334
>>
File: 1479121325173.gif (911KB, 171x141px) Image search: [Google]
1479121325173.gif
911KB, 171x141px
>>50874356
>where they either eat them or turn them into brainwashed slaves used to do manual labor and incubate the spider-people's eggs, does that count as magical realm or not?
I hate you
>>
File: floorbreak.webm (2MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
floorbreak.webm
2MB, 576x304px
>>50874370
>>
>>50874356
If the eggs are similar to, say, a bot fly or something, then probably it's okay.
Otherwise, that's magical realm material.
>>
>>50874387
>>50874370
mf's just diving in
>>
File: 1474029689494.gif (4MB, 281x143px) Image search: [Google]
1474029689494.gif
4MB, 281x143px
>>
Are the vistani fantasy gypsies?
>>
>>50874598
Yes.
>>
>>50874607
So, anyone hates them?
>>
>>50874356
>does that count as magical realm or not?
does it give you a boner?
>>
Playing a sun soul monk what am I in for?
>>
>>50874708
Praising the sun.
>>
>>50874708
well that or long death to help offtank shit alongside the oath of ancients pally.
>>
>>50874708

Last time, on Dragonball Z!
>>
>>50874790
>Last time, on Dragonball Z!
>5 minutes of uninterrupted screaming

>And now, on Dragonball Z!
>20 minutes of uninterrupted screaming

>Next time, on Dragonball Z!
>5 minutes of uninterrupted screaming
>>
>>50874708
Wear full plate, argue that the Sun Soul beam feature doesn't say anything about not working with armor or following "Martial Arts progression", only "your damage increases as seen on the Monk chart".
>>
>>50874859
that would certainly be a surprise for an unsuspecting wizard.

>oh look another fighter chump thinking he's hot shit
>BEEEEAAAAAAAAAM!
>>
>>50874708
Depends on level, your DM and your starting stats.
>>
>>50874907
>lemme just throw a Wis save at this dork an-
>nigga sprints 60 feet into your face and gives you both barrels
>>
File: WiseNecromancer.jpg (490KB, 1024x566px) Image search: [Google]
WiseNecromancer.jpg
490KB, 1024x566px
>>50873093

Semi-Relevant
>>
>>50874356

The line is when the person who came up with it starts describing it in detail that makes it clear that they have dedicated a large amount of processing time/power to the notion.

Also, if you can't see both hands at the same time while they describe it.
>>
>>50873093
Can't, 5e rules for necromancy are dogshit unless you want to throw away all your spellslots ever day forever, and if you sleep in and forgot to reassert control your undead start killing people
Only the bullshit Orcus's wand used by Orcus himself could make it work
>>
If I have extra attack can I attack once, perform another action with action surge, and then do the second attack from the first action?

For example, could I attack someone as an EK, use action surge for a spell, and then attack the second time for eldritch strike to proc on the action surge'd spell and still have it leftover for a spell I cast on the next turn?
>>
>>50873093
You'd have to immediately have them able to research ways to revive shit for longer periods of time, not have it go berserk the moment you let go of it (setting dependent really), and be able to raise bigger shit. You can easily bust the laws of thermodynamics wide open (if you don't consider a 'plane of magic' to be apart of the system) with a big enough creature turning a wheel.
>>
Uploading this for a friend.
Any thoughts on these feats?
>>
>>50873407
You are supposed to color the numbers in yourself (I prefer using crayons). Their dice are really are (supposedly) really fair, and definately are nice to hold in your hand. Those sharp edges feel real good.
>>
>>50875379
>Their dice are really are (supposedly) really fair
Unless you want to roll a 14!
>>
>>50875463
Just use a needle file, if it's too big of an issue.
>>
New DM/Player here. I am using a mat and simply drawing on it in sharpie. I do want to eventually start using minis to add some extra immersion. What are some good, possibly cheap, line of minis, and what to you guys use?
>>
>>50875585
Pathfinder Pawns are the cheapest for what you actually get outside of making your own.
>>
>>50875650
How well do they translate into 5e monster manual?
>>
>>50875678
Well Pathfinder is just a 90% ripoff of 3.5, so you get all the same classic D&D monsters, just with different art from what you'd see in the 5e Monster Manual. The biggest failure the set has is no gargantuan creatures, so you'll have to find something else to represent that Ancient Red Wurm your party is fighting.
>>
>>50875585
from experience, immersion comes in better the more you play theater of the mind
>>
>>50875753
I use theater of the mind for battles with few creatures or random encounters. Anything over a certain number of combatants and the grid becomes a necessity at my table. I don't want to have to decide if the party rogue has sneak attack every time he asks if an ally is within 5 feet of a particular creature. It also makes AOE spells less bullshit.
>>
>>50874321
is this also sword and butterfly?
>>
File: Behemoth2.jpg (206KB, 794x612px) Image search: [Google]
Behemoth2.jpg
206KB, 794x612px
>>50875733
I own a full set of Pathfinder pawns, (and a couple hundred custom ones). And the Tome of Beasts pawns. Best way to store the bought ones is in binders in sheet protectors, they fit snugly and generally wont come out of the page.
This is how I Gargantuan Pawn, a photoshopping of Magic the Gathering art that lies flat (there are rules for climbing atop Gargantuans, and you can generally move within their threat area since you are so small.)

At this size 3D is expensive and vertical 2D is obstructive. Red is actual squares taken up.
>>
File: Pawns Dungeons.png (3MB, 2204x2758px) Image search: [Google]
Pawns Dungeons.png
3MB, 2204x2758px
>>50875956
Also, the only pawns you can't really represent with Pathfinder are the D&D proprietary monsters like Beholders and Mind Flayers and suchlike.
Thus I whip some up.
>>
My DM is ruling that due to having 5 Strength and thus -3 Str modifier my character can't jump at all, because of 0 feet jumping height even though by long jump rules I still can jump. Is he doing it right?
>>
>>50875975
you should have a pathetic long jump that represents pretty much spilling forward.
>>
Does anyone think the Spellbook cards were a huge mistake? WotC had a great opportunity with them and blew it. Each card should have come with its own artwork like in Magic. They could have even commissioned the same artists they use for MTG. It would have been unique and flavorful as hell. As they are now, you can just make your own cards.
>>
>>50875994
Good visual art for easy recognition would have been nice, of course they can do that in a revision or just have a 3rd party license them.

I wouldn't call them a huge mistake tho.
But then we don't use them.
>>
>>50875956
>>50875971
That's pretty cool. I saw some nice tutorials on how to make some minis in photoshop and considered that too.
>>
File: sleves.jpg (76KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
sleves.jpg
76KB, 640x640px
>>50875249
anyone have any idea bout this?
>>
>>50875975
https://crobi.github.io/dnd5e-quickref/preview/quickref.html
High jump is 3+Str mod if you don't roll athletics for more and if you move 10 feet before that.
Long jump is up to Str score if you move 10 feet before. So you basically spill forward, getting enough height to go one square in combat. So if there is a small gap inbetween each square you can hop that but nothing more and you can't do it from a stop.
>>
>>50875347
Typically, when the levels are divided up, it's by tier--so 1st, 5th, 11th, and 17th levels. If you're gonna hand out free feats, it seems like it'd follow that progression. It'd also help to figure out how the DM should adjust challenge based on the additional feats, since it's almost like handing out an extra level (just minus the HP).

I like some of these, so I'll just list the ones I don't (or just the ones where I've got quibbles).
>Apothecary
It's just like gaining tool proficiencies but slightly better in a way that matters less and less as you gain levels.
>Anointer
Giving out free spells is risky. Holy water isn't that expensive; especially once Magic Weapon gets involved, no particular limit on usage, that's going too far. If nothing else, something like "a creature must complete a long rest before it can gain the benefit of one of these flasks of holy water again" would go a long way.
>Common Sense
Too metagamey.
>Dagger Master
This one's... okay. Minor quibble: it'd be easier to say "you can still provide material and somatic components for a spell while carrying a dagger in one hand". The bigger problem is that one benefit is there for spellcasters, the other is there for dual-wielding martial characters. The characters who would benefit from this are rare. And thee third benefit isn't enough to make this feat competitive with Dual Wielder, since that also lets you use d8 weapons in both hands.
>Die Hard
Normally, you're killed outright if leftover damage is greater than or equal to your hit point maximum. It's hard to imagine a situation in which level + constitution (modifier? score?) is more than that. The third benefit is a bit too good. As an alternative, may I propose something I cooked up for a class feature but probably won't actually use: when you have two failed death saves, you have advantage on all subsequent death saves (which I admit might be an overcorrection.)
(1/2)
>>
File: Octopus with swords.jpg (433KB, 1383x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Octopus with swords.jpg
433KB, 1383x1037px
>>50876020
The biggest downside of the Pathfinder Pawns is that they have horrible contrast, they literally just shrink down art, and they tend to be very dark. And they since the various size pawns are cut precisely the same dimensions, they have a really bad tendency to cut off weapons and other extra details around the edges.

For my own, I print them at high qualtiy on luster photo paper, glue that to a comic backing board, cut those out with a steel ruler and hobby knife, then glue them back-to-back.

They end up being the perfect thickness, and I can always make them a bit extra wide or tall to get in all the details. The colors and detail pop a lot better.

Here's a really great encounter I ran, where the party was attacked on the top deck by Giant Crabs, on the middle deck by the Huge Octo's sword swinging arms, then they fought the Octo itself (having healed itself with samples from a cargo chest with healing potions). Used the Pathfinder 3 level ship map.

I try to use their maps when I can, and draw the rest on blank maps.
>>
Would Mage Shield/Draconic Resilience stack with unarmored defense?

So a Monk With Mage Shield would have 13+Dex mod+Wis mod?
>>
>>50876153

No, read the PHB. Ac BONUSES from different sources stack. AC CALCULATIONS do not. If it says "Your AC becomes (10 +) X+Y" you only get to pick one.
>>
>>50876153
>Mage Shield

I'm assuming you meant Mage Armor?

If so, no. Both Mage Armor and the Monk's Unarmored Defense ability are both trying to set the character's armor to a specific value rather than giving a stackable bonus. Mage Armor sets it to 13 + Dex. Unarmored Defense sets it to 10 + Dex + Wis. Depending on the Monk's Wis modifier, you would use the higher of the two.

If you really want your cake and to eat it too, somehow convince your DM to let you run a Lizardfolk Monk using the rules for monster NPCs as your character base. It explicitly gives a +3 Natural Armor BONUS.
>>
>>50875925
Yes
>>
>>50876061
>Empathy
"Use Insight to be able to tell if a creature is lying" is something anyone should be able to do. It's, like, the function of the Insight skill. And the other part is, again, metagamey.
>Elven Heritage
I just don't really understand how this works as a feat. Feats are specialized training you receive.
>Entangling Strike
Seems more or less redundant with the combat maneuver feat. I do recognize the difference (more maneuvers, less choice) but since you only get one superiority die from the feat anyway, it's not gonna make much of a practical difference. If you DO keep it, maybe just add the benefit "you gain proficiency with whips, sickles, and flails" instead of only giving that to monks. It'd be weird if a wizard took that feat and didn't gain those proficiencies, y'know?
>Faith Healer
Doesn't scale well. It's kinda like the 3.5 version of Toughness.
>Free Runner
Just a scooch too powerful. I'm comparing it to Mobile and Athlete here. I think if you take out the +5 feet speed and make standing up from prone take 5 feet of movement, it'd be okay.
>Inner Focus
Fine, just confusingly worded. Also the prerequisite sounds silly. Arcane spells use arcane foci, so clerics and druids aren't gonna use it. It is a bit underwhelming, unless other players have found carrying an arcane focus to be a glaring weak point.
>Mystic Adept
Redundant with Ritual Caster.
>Net Master
Just a little thing: it should be "you can use your reaction to make a single weapon attack against that creature", not an opportunity attack, which is its own separate thing.
>New Beginning
See Elven Heritage.
>Oracle
Casting Augury once per short rest is gonna get really annoying for the DM really fast. There's a reason warlocks don't learn it.
>Quick Draw
The third benefit should probably be specific to the Attack action, and probably be limited to one switch on your turn.
(2/apparently more than 2)
>>
Is there a useless Warlock Pact? Are Chain/Blade/Tome all equally viable?
>>
>>50875192
What if animate dead is made into a two-parter. Can be cast as either a full action which is a slightly buffed version of its current form as an
>oh fuck I need more meatshields now
but can also be cast as a scaling ritual with a larger duration, higher amount of total CR worth of shit raised, larger range. The fact that they attack shit when not ordered is more reliant on setting making necromancy naturally evil (fucking thanks Orcus) rather than the spell itself.
>>
>>50876281
I've heard some dubious things about Blade, but never played it myself.
>>
>>50876281

Chain and Tome are both excellent in their own way. Blade is considered the weakest by far but is playable. Main issue is that they take until level 12 to really hit their stride.
>>
>>50876281
Blade is not great. You have the hit die of a full caster but gotta go into melee.
>>
>>50876278
>Sapper
The third benefit is basically just "you can knock things unconscious with a sap", which is already a thing that everyone can do with any melee weapon.

I'd dive more into the fighting styles but I'm getting sleepy. I will point out that existing fighting styles tend to be must simpler and more general than what you've got here.
>>
>>50876317
There's also the issue that your Eldritch blast is just better.
>>
>>50876317
>Hit Die of a full caster
>d8
>full caster
>>
>>50876339
>Druids Clerics and Bards aren't full casters
>>
>>50876339
To be fair, that's the HD of the bard, cleric, druid, and warlock. E.g. two-thirds of full casters.
>>
>>50876339
Would you prefer 3/4ths caster?
>>50876331
Yeah, that too.
>>
>>50876312
Blade seems cool for gestalt, but I wouldnt touch it otherwise.
>>
>>50876325
Thank you, sleepy poster. I didn't make them but I'm thinking about including them in my game since my party's reaching level 4 soon.
>>
File: 127-1-1456742973.jpg (28KB, 361x519px) Image search: [Google]
127-1-1456742973.jpg
28KB, 361x519px
Warlock seems like one of the only classes that's really defined by its background. You're class is essentially whatever your background is, but you also sold your soul for eldritch power. You can be a sailor that sold his soul to the devil to survive being marooned, you can be a sage that delved too deep and peered into madness, you can be an entertainer that unknowingly courted a faerie queen, etc. How do you feel about this?
>>
>>50875249
>>50876035
I'd allow it.
>>
At level 5, does a Deep Stalker Ranger actually get 4 attacks (a multiattack plus an extra attac from their level 3 archetype bonus, plus a bonus attack) on their first round of combat?
>>
File: Roguesalesman.jpg (75KB, 564x984px) Image search: [Google]
Roguesalesman.jpg
75KB, 564x984px
>>50876577
If you put a little bit of thought and creativity into it, this is true of every single class.
But most people tap Background for skill proficiency and put fuck-all thought into it.
>>
>>50875249
I'd say so. Since you can already break up an Attack action to move or use a bonus action.
>>
Which of the 5e adventures do you guys think is the best to run?
>>
File: its_magic.jpg (54KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
its_magic.jpg
54KB, 720x479px
>>50876660
The one from your imagination.
>>
>>50870144
I'm currently playing with a very powerful Ranger from the Beast Conclave. My beast companion is a Lv.6 Giant Poisonous Snake that deals around 50 damage per round (you should check its stats, you'll be surprised).

As for the Ranger Spells, you've got two pretty good ones: Pass Without Trace basically guarantees one Surprise Round to gang all foes and that's more DPR than any single spell; and Conjure Animals (summon 2 Brown Bears with a combined DPR of 38).

As for the Multiclass: Don't lose on the Ranger Lv.11 Feature because the companion's whirlwind attack is simply CRAZY! That leaves you with 9 possible Multiclass levels. You won't get the Fighter's Lv.11 Attack so forget about that; a Lv.9 Rogue will get you +5d6 (roughly 17 dpr). Best choice is probably Favored Soul Sorcerer, because you'll get the Extra Attack at Lv.6, Full Caster Levels and Twinned Haste for you and your companion so you get another 2 Attacks and +2 AC, more Speed, and don't forget the Shield Spell.
>>
>>50873407
The fuck you talking bout faggot? Unreadable how? Are you looking at gem dice? Or ones with uninked numbers?
>>
Coverting slots into sorc points can be done outside of battle right? Or are those temporary Sorcery points?
>>
>>50876648
If they are dual wielding yes.
>>
File: sleeves.jpg (150KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
sleeves.jpg
150KB, 640x640px
>>50876629
>>50876654

Radical, thanks gents. Just trying to make sure there isn't some ruling I missed or text i looked over that said I couldn't
>>
>>50876672
I currently run 3 games homebrew, I'd like to try a written one for my 4th one just to see how that is. (And so I don't drop in quality with my other games)
>>
>>50876418

I think if you go fighter 1 so you get access to armor it works out okay (or take mobility). But it certainly struggles on its own.
>>
>>50876762
>>50876660
I haven't run them but from what I've heard the best ones are Curse of Strahd and Storm King's Thunder
>>
I got Volo's Guide for Christmas. What books are scheduled for release coming up?
>>
>>50876884
They're also the only entirely inhouse ones, tells you a lot about 3pp quality.
>>
>>50876931
They only announce each book a few months in advance. There's no new one announced yet.
>>
Does anyone have old factions lore? Someone posted a copy of 2e stuff for the Zhentarim last night. I was hoping for Emerald Enclave and Harpers lore.
>>
>>50876674
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was definitely going to get Pass Without Trace and Spike Growth at level 5.

Favored Soul looks like a good inclusion, but I chose fighter and rogue for flavor and mechanics purposes.

One thing I didn't consider is using the whirlwind attack with my wolf's bite attack. Forcing an entire group of enemies to make a strength save or get knocked prone every time he attacks seems cute.
>>
>>50868966
Question.

What damage die would you give a reoccuring stalker-like enemy that hunts down the party near constantly? The thing is, due to lore reasons, his sword never misses, so his attack rolls always succeed and just do auto damage

What's a fair damage value for an attack like that? Game is level 5 with a Barb, Wizard, Ranger, and Rogue and the monster in question would probably wield a longsword or greatsword. How does 1d8+3 sound for a fair and reasonable damage value?

I just want to be fair the players as much as i can here
>>
>>50876985
Maybe a longsword with flat 1d8, no +3.
>>
>>50876884
Thanks!
>>
File: (judgemental stare).jpg (56KB, 517x572px) Image search: [Google]
(judgemental stare).jpg
56KB, 517x572px
>>50870932
>>
>>50876985
Give him a greatsword and take them to pound town. Level 5 isn't babby world anymore, and they should be able to handle it even if he hits every attack (assuming he's alone and doesn't have any other busted abilities)
>>
>>50876974
Be warned that some stuff has changed for 5e. Like I think I heard on the official podcast that the enclave used to just mind their own business guarding their island but in 5e they chose to make them into more of a global stage actor
>>
>>50877038
I also heard they made the Zhentarim less evil, and more unscrupulous businessmen. Do you know a good place for 5e lore? That's what I"m playing.
>>
>>50877068
The 5e books.
>>
>>50877084
You mean the rulebooks? I have the PHB, DMG, MM, SCAG, and Storm King's Thunder. None of them mention the factions in depth.
>>
>>50877138
Really, not even SCAG? Hmm. I think they have some background info on the website, but I thought that would've been in the books too
>>
>>50877138

I don't think the factions really have a ton of lore yet. Go the Adventurer's League website and look for their faction overview document.
>>
>>50877168
The SCAG unfortunately has only a few paragraphs per faction. The images posted last night were a few pages in length. Even if the lore changed, it's a good baseline.
>>
Quick question
Should disease based spells be under necromancy as medieval people go "bodily humours" or should there be a distinction for manipulating cellular level stuff?
>>
I was given a copy of Curse of Strahd for Christmas. My family wants me to dm it in a couple days. Unfortunately i know basically nothing about it. Any tips beside just reading the book?
>>
>>50875161
>The line is when the person who came up with it starts describing it in detail that makes it clear that they have dedicated a large amount of processing time/power to the notion.
You're fucking joking right? A dm ought to be interested in the locales he's presenting the players, and he ought to be interested in the creatures he creates for the party to face, if you're not enjoying yourself then why even bother DMing in the first place? If you're putting your fetishes into a game that's magical realm, enjoying the content you produce and wanting to share it with your players isn;t, you fucking faggot.
>>
>>50877316
Man if it needs to be there to show how gruesome the creatures are then fine whatever. But if they describe it in detail it's obviously just becoming a weird fetish and they should fuck right off.
>>
>>50877312
CoS is not the kind of setting where everything you come across is assailable, especially if you start off at the recommended tier-2 level; emphasize that to your family.
>>
>>50877347
Oh my family has played d&d for decades so they should be fine. It's just a matter of me having no idea what I'm doing.
>>
>>50876974
find the book "forgotten realms - cloak and dagger"
>>
>>50877346
>Detail is fetish
No you fucking idiot, fetishs are fetishes, describing the appearence and actions of a homebrewed creature is entirely appropriate, and if they're a weird drow ripoff spider then the dm shouldn't feel bad about describing because a fuckwit like you thinks he gets his rocks off to albino spiders.
>>
>>50877357
if you know the rules from a playing you'll be fine. Look up matthew colville's gm tips series on youtube. And look up the rules for encounter building.

One thing I struggled early on as a gm was that I was too sympathetic to my pc's so during encounters, I subconsciously gm the monsters in a way that was ideal for my pc's (enemies focus on the tanks and left the squishies alone). I took a while for me to remember that my role is to provide a challenge for the pc's, not to babysit them.
>>
File: (You).jpg (10KB, 480x271px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
10KB, 480x271px
>>50873830
Goodbye, retard~!
>>
File: 32734-27411-23203.jpg (21KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
32734-27411-23203.jpg
21KB, 500x384px
>>50875347
Throw this in the trash.
>>
Anyone use a misfortunes chart to roll on for wretched, squalid and poor lifestyles?
>>
>>50878531
>Anyone use a misfortunes chart to roll on for wretched, squalid and poor lifestyles?
No.
>>
>>50877262
>Contagion
>Ray of sickness
Both necromancy spells
I'd say yes
>>
>>50868966
So one of my players wants his love interest kidnaped, most probably by devils.

How do I avoid making it NTR?
>>
File: no sir I don't like it.jpg (59KB, 316x609px) Image search: [Google]
no sir I don't like it.jpg
59KB, 316x609px
>>50879293
You... dont make it NTR?
I dont understand the question.
NTR is a trash fetish
>>
>>50879293
>So one of my players wants his love interest kidnaped, most probably by devils.

Is he a bad enough dude to rescue the love interest?
>>
>>50872514
i wanted to try out a 3 battlemaster / 5 assassin rogue for a campaign that was gonna start at level 8. You use a heavy crossbow, pick up Sharpshooter feat and use battlemaster precision attack to offset the -5. If you get a surprise sniper shot and insta-crit you can unload a decent amount of damage.

Still less damage than other builds but sounded fun.
>>
>>50879472
>Still less damage than other builds but sounded fun.
no it doesn't
>>
File: 1481131450507.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1481131450507.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
>>50879293
Take the devil's pee pees and move them away from the love interest's vagina

Boom, no more NTR
>>
>>50879371
>You... dont make it NTR?
I get that I do. It's just that logically it would be ntr.

I'm basically asking for a reason why it wouldn't happen.
>>
>>50879601
Devils don't give a shit about the fleshy bits
It's the soul bits inside the fleshy bits that are baller.
>>
>>50879608
I'm pretty sure having her soul get eaten would also lead to salt.
>>
>>50879624
But it's not NTR
>>
>>50879624
Why the fuck does he want his love interest put at risk if he doesn't want any risk involved? If he'd really be upset about it then he sounds like a faggot
>>
>>50879638
>he sounds like a faggot

You aren't wrong.
>>
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/crcalculator.html

Added the rest of the more verbose features, making this probably one of the most complete 5e CR calculators out there (I hope, I've put a lot of work into this).

Future plan: adding a way to put in the DPR for each round (as dice) and average them.
>>
What's a good way to make a warlock/bard multiclass?
>>
>>50879653
Warlock 2 can't go wrong
>>
>>50879690
Why not go warlock 3 for the pact of tome/chain/blade?
>>
File: Races.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Races.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I made this pdf of stats for various playable Final Fantasy races if anyone wants to peruse or critique.

They may seem a bit op, but we're planning on playing without backgrounds because my players' characters are humans sucked into a fantasy world and thus have no prior life in this world. We're also playing gestalt, so I'm okay with it being a bit crazy anyway.
>>
>>50879472
Why not rogue 3/fighter 5, do the same thing but with a great axe and 2 more attacks instead?
>>
>>50879772
>The Green Word. Vieras of the druid class can use Charisma instead of Wisdom for their spellcasting.

I'm gonna start giving things this type of ability
>>
File: 1351819051676.jpg (25KB, 620x406px) Image search: [Google]
1351819051676.jpg
25KB, 620x406px
>>50879293
>>50879371
>>50879559
>>50879608

they can rape her, so long as she doesnt get mind broken and love them it isnt NTR
>>
>>50879730
Tell us what do you want to do with your character.

Level 3 sounds good. You delay your spell progression a bit more. You miss out on the last magical secret (unlikely to get there anyway). You get the tome or an imp.

Level 2 is the basic min max dip, you get EB, agonizing blast and another invocation (repelling blast usually) and you are set regarding resourceless DPR until the end of the game.
>>
>>50879653
Go warlock 11 for those sweet 3 level 5 pact spell slots and 6th level spell, and the rest in bard
Get animate objects and make your DM want to kill himself 3 in game minutes every short rest, 4 if you spend your bardic 5th slot
Go lore bard to grab great heal spells so you can make sure your party is fully healed without expending important daily resources
Go undying light warlock so you can use fire spells to wipe things away
Get the pact of the chain to ruin the rogues life with a fantastic permanently invisible scout
There, that's how you do it
>>
>>50879790
>Sneak attack
>Great axe
Pick one
>>
>>50879795
Thanks dude, that's my favorite feature in the doc
>>
>>50879819
Sure, but the assassination feature still works.
>>
>>50879819
no
>>
File: link-is-so-high-man.gif (998KB, 500x326px) Image search: [Google]
link-is-so-high-man.gif
998KB, 500x326px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

And now added an index page so the whole suite can easily be linked to.
>>
File: What are birds.gif (999KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
What are birds.gif
999KB, 250x251px
So is there any reason why chromatic dragons can't have the shapechange ability of metallic dragons other than "that's not what it says in the book"?
>>
>>50879772
Shouldn't humans get 2 +1s along with a feat?
>>
>>50879869
because they are a different species of dragon with different abilities
>>
>>50879869
That would make it too easy to spread chaos and evil across the land.
>>
>>50879869
Metallics are conscientious and aware that mortals can get a bit flustered conversing with them in their natural state, so learned to sapeshift to help make their little friends feel more at ease.

Chromatics don't care and will just eat you if you fluff your draconic translation
>>
>>50879877
>>50879881
>>50879883
So that's a no to a particularly insidious dragon that prefers subterfuge and subjugation over raw destructive force?
>>
>>50879837
Sounds great

>>50879838
triggered
>>
>>50879893

Why not have an evil metallic one?
>>
>>50879871
Thanks, I'll fix that
>>
>>50879893
If they want to use subterfuge they can teach one of their kobold servants wizardry
>>
>>50879893
I usually give my Greens polymorph at will, they just tend to prefer fighting in their natural draconic form.
>>
>>50879893
they could have an item for shapeshifting
>>
File: Shaniqua.jpg (61KB, 431x496px) Image search: [Google]
Shaniqua.jpg
61KB, 431x496px
>>50879905
>evil metallic dragon
>>
>>50879918
While Tiamat enforces her will on chromatics, i don't believe the same is true for Bahamut and Metallics.
>>
>>50879894
It's a nice bit of fun, if you're of the orcish persuasion you have 3 attacks at 3d12+2d8+10+str, -5 to hit but have advantage... Then you throw away the axe and draw your rapier.
>>
>>50879926
Bahamut is Lawful Good.

You WILL be nice to squishy humans or else
>>
>>50879918

Well, clearly a typical dragon is not what's being asked for here.
>>
>>50876931

Next one is in April. Its a campaign book code named Labyrinth
>>
>>50879893
But where is the hubris in that?
>>
>>50879945
>code named Labyrinth

Tomb of Horrors
>>
>>50879772
Ronso monks seem a bit strong
>>
>>50879456
Devil wants her to teach him to play the piano so he can woo that cute girl he likes.
>>
>>50879935
>take stroll in the park
>see an orcish lad in full plate great axe
>be surprised
>get crit for 115.5 on average
>>
>>50879918
Metallic dragon's aren't inherently good, they still have a superiority complex and hoarding tendencies.

I'd you have a shiny shield a red dragon will eat you and take it.

If you have a shiny sword a bronze dragon will comment how nice it would be to have that sword, and if you don't pick up the hint he will eat you and take it.

A green dragon will enslave and cage you for his amusement.

A copper dragon will invite you inside his current home, show off his trinkets, share story's and insist you stay for a bit longer why it's barely been a ten-day there is no need to leave new friend did I tell you about the one.... until he gets bored and eats you, or you die before trying to escape.
>>
>>50880229
If you see them, you aren't surprised. Stop this. The Surprised condition isn't the unexpected condition.
>>
>>50880257
A blue dragon will toy with you and then eat you.

A gold dragon will test your character to its own insanely high draconic standards and if you aren't the impossible paragon, will eat you.
>>
>>50880265
A silver dragon will invite you in for dinner, as its only proper to greet those traveling into your home, then, when you make a social gaff, eat you.
>>
>>50880262
The orc was disguised as a peaceful orcish peasant in full plate, so surprise still applies.
>>
>>50880262
You can't really tell *me* if I am surprised or not.

Also
>unexpected
You mean unexpecting
>>
>>50879945
>Labyrinth
>David Bowie as the Goblin King
>movie about fairy shit

Feywild adventure confirmed
>>
A Black Dragon will, upon realizing that his acid breath won't melt your armor, still use his acid breath to melt you out of your armor and give it a good acid cleaning.

What remains of you will then be consumed.
>>
>>50880297
Then you didn't SEE him "in full plate great axe", regardless of whether or not he was equipped with them.
>>50880298
Nope, that's the DMs job, but understanding the game mechanics is beneficial to both players and DMs.
>>
>>50876577
How do you unknowingly court someone?. Is your swag just that mighty?
>>
>>50876931
Isn't it comfy, Anon? Gotta love them monsters
>>
>>50880372
>Isn't it comfy, Anon? Gotta love them monsters
I only love one thing. Cock.
>>
File: IMG_0716.png (1MB, 1200x1697px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0716.png
1MB, 1200x1697px
>>50879652
Mega Anon is Love
>>
>>50879883
I want to marry a cute metallic dragon!
>>
>>50879652
So, I don't know why, but something has changed that prevents me from loading any of the actual data when using any of the stuff on my Wii U, which was a convienient way for me to have stat blocks at the table that i could also display item/PC information on the TV with.

It loads the tables themselves, but they have no actual data in them.
>>
>>50880376
But Froghemoths and Bodaks, Anon
>>
>>50880376
Where do you love cock, Anon?
>>
How would you run a Kingdom Death game?
>>
I'm trying to come up with an interesting puzzle, but so far I think it's too simple.

>party walks down corridor with Egyptian-style paintings along the walls, 4 humans figures on each side
>each figure holds or wears the symbol of a different god of knowledge and/or magic and has a name (or number) written beneath
>at the end of the corridor is an angular room with 9 tapestries decorating the wall
>each tapestry has one of those human figures, but each on a different pose and there are no religious symbols
>they hear a deep voice say "those who show respect in the way of Mystryl open the path to knowledge"
>none of the figures in the corridor holds Mystril's symbol
>party has to cross-reference the names (or numbers) to discover which of the figures in the tapestries is not represented in the corridor, she's the one making the right gesture
>if they open the doors while making the right gesture, they pass unharmed
>if they don't, mummies rise from sarcophagi behind each tapestry and attack

How's this? It feels like they'll figure it out too easily.
>>
>>50880770
New thread is up.
>>
>>50880763

Actually that doesn't sound half bad. I dunno, you know your players better than we do but In my experience matching is something people seem to have trouble with, it's baffling how people can miss stuff that feels like it's been obviously labelled

This feels like it skirts that nice DM line where you have to put a bit of thought behind it, but it's not obtuse and needlessly complicated

I would even say lock the door, to that they only trigger the mummies if they try to smash it down, but give them a chance to think "oh there's a puzzle here"
If you let PCs just walk into a room, they will probably do that
>>
>>50868966
Any special order the UA class overhauls will come in? I'm interested in the Rogue
>>
>>50876682
They're real points, and a conversion either way can be done in combat as a bonus action.
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.