[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: /pol/ edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 344
Thread images: 36

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Last thread: >>50773509

What is best UA?
>>
1st for 5e > 4e
>>
threadly reminder: loot used to be called treasure
>>
Second for 4e is a good resource.
>>
>>50778458
YESSSSSSS
>>
>>50778438
From the recent ones, Monk was.
From all UA, I vote for Kits of Old.
>>
>Reposting from last thread.

How is this for a racial trait for a lobsterfolk people who carry and collect tons of useless shit in their travels?

Whosits and Whatsits: Nephro karkinoi have an eye for trinkets and tend to pick up things in their travels. You have proficiency in Investigation checks and begin the game with three Trinkets (roll on trinket table). In addition, as an Action, you may declare you have any single item which you have picked up in your travels. This ability functions as the spell Prestidigitation, except it only creates a non-magical trinket. This is also not considered a magical ability, but the use of some random item on the character’s person. This can be done once per long or short rest.
>>
>>50778458
Combat takes 1 minute and DOESN'T remind me of FFT?
Sign me up! NOT.
>>
>>50778486
i dig it. a bit abstract for 5e though. but if you're fine with it.
>>
i stopped playing tabletop and started playing ys on the pce-cd and ys is the better game
>>
File: Race - Dorr'min Weirdling.png (239KB, 937x700px) Image search: [Google]
Race - Dorr'min Weirdling.png
239KB, 937x700px
>>50778486
Check this out for inspiration, it has something very similar. I'd recommend not doing trinkets as that doesn't really seem like a racial but more as a background.
>>
File: 1477799093718.jpg (298KB, 1080x1255px) Image search: [Google]
1477799093718.jpg
298KB, 1080x1255px
>Player in my group wanted to be a very specific type of character
>Decide to have some fun and make a few custom spells and feats for said character
>Player shows up to three sessions and promptly falls off the map
>Player sucked at RP so this character has zero personality
>I'm stuck RPing this character while the party bumbles around in the Underdark until they leave which is probably a few sessions away. If I make him just disappear the party is just gonna go looking for him.

Fucking why do people do this to me I just want to DM a fun campaign
>>
>>50778534
Even at its lowest, TRPGs are top tier dungeon crawlers, even without visuals, audio or complex calculations they have what is akin to a futuristic AI coming up with tailored adventures and controlling every part of the world to make it more fun. Also, Ys is meh.
>>
>>50778405
I run it like a skill challenge from 4e, with successes at inventive skill checks allowing players to dramatically shorten combat, and the failure condition being a race to succeed before taking damage.

The NPC's are allowed to do more damage as well with appropriate skill checks.

The skill checks are things like "I lift the floodgates to wash away my enemies".
>>
These new Paladin Achetypes are great and all, but I want more Rogue archetypes/more stuff for Rogues in general.

But like, good Rogue stuff.
>>
>>50778572
YOU MOTHER F*CKER
>>
>>50778564
Does 5e still have green slime? Drop some green slime on him, characters don't come back from that shit.
>>
>>50778544
Your sticking to "the law" has nothing to do with what Good is. Try again. Neutral characters are willing to break or bend the Law to do Good, not breaking Good to do Good. You can't get more Good by doing that, since the only act you get points for is the part where you break Good, not the later consequences of that action; if you have a chance to kill a Lich and you don't, you don't become less Good.
>>
>>50778572
Your ego is writing checks your body can't cash
>>
A cardiganed couple walks slow circles around the little black boy sitting on the curb, his "FREE BABY" sign tear-stained and flapping in the breeze churned up by passing buses. eyebrows cock and brows furrow as the middle aged professionals play wordless poker with the nine month old boy's desperate eyes
"Is it worth the risk?"
"I dunno. It's such a tough call, once in a while it's a legit deal but 80% of the time, something's wrong. I don't see anything, it's probably internal."
"It's fine. We can keep looking."
>>
>>50778546
I should clarify that the power doesn't create trinkets, but like the non-magical objects Prestidigitation normally can make
>>
File: stop spying on me anons.png (1MB, 1258x765px) Image search: [Google]
stop spying on me anons.png
1MB, 1258x765px
>>50778572
>>50778534
>tfw
>>
>>50778639
no stream?
>>
>>50778603
>I have a shit GM so vidya is better
Games still have their value and I play a lot of them but trpgs are impossible to actually beat in a straight up race.
>>
>>50778438
For best as in strongest, Mystic.
For best as in most useful, Ranger
>>
>>50778655
im stopping like every two minutes to shitpost in /5eg/ and eat pizza
>>
>>50778628
Yeah I meant the part where you start with more trinkets, it doesn't really fit a racial trait IMO.
>>
Reposting from the last thread, I'm gonna start DMing soon for the first time, and I'm trying to make sure that my players who play martials can do interesting stuff outside of combat like the casters can.

For the record, my players are a Human Bard, Halfling Fighter, Human Warlock, Elf Paladin, and Dwarf Ranger.

Is there a good way to make sure that my Martial characters can have an interesting time in and out of combat? The Fighter and Paladin are pretty creative, I was thinking of giving them a small pool of Grit Points that they could add to their skill checks if they were doing something I thought was creative/interesting/stupid enough?
>>
>>50778675
a beautiful life
>>
>>50778676
It's only part of the whole trait anyways, and it's mostly for flavour.
>>
File: fr_fuks_sake.jpg (36KB, 328x281px) Image search: [Google]
fr_fuks_sake.jpg
36KB, 328x281px
>>50778486
>lobsterfolk
You're really reaching for new race ideas.

Why not create some actually interesting and usable homebrew content, like feats? Those can be used by other people. Whereas unless some DM is going to have 200+ freakshow races in his dumb-ass setting, no one needs to see Anthropomorphic Race #2342. It's boring, it's uncreative, and it's just a waste of everyone's time.
>>
>>50778682
don't change the rules steve
>>
>>50778676
Why not? A Jew race would start with more gold, so what's wrong with a race starting with more trinkets?
>>
>>50778564
That's retarded, just explain to the party that trying to RP as this character for no good reason is stupid and they can pretend he's there but he's going to be quiet and be abstracted away from combat involvement if the player isnt there. The DMG has some suggestions for what to do if players go AWOL
>>
>>50778706
i want to play a pixie hexblade named Juno w/ a TERRIBLE secret
>>
>>50778682
If you don't have much experience homebrewing maneuvers for them or something won't end up too well probably. You can just be permissive, allow out of the box shit and give out advantage when appropriate based on this, don't just use advantage for class features and stuff. Use the revised ranger. Grit points won't do too much I think, but that depends on how you use skills. It won't break anything at least.
>>
>>50778573
But doesn't anyone actually hit each other with weapons?
>>
>>50778706
Because it's a campaign that takes place entirely underwater, and I want appropriate races.

Bitch somewhere else.
>>
>>50778706
What if they were tauric creatures with the lower half of a lobster, and the upper half of a human. Or vice versa.
>>
>>50778581
They'll get there in two weeks, won't they?
>>
>>50778748
i am a walking butthole with claws and i can survive pressure cookers and the cold dry vacuum of space
>>
>>50778740
Sure. Mostly it's spells, cantrips, and grapple attempts.
>>
anyone else listen to old cassettes for trad game inspiration?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaeNelsAOGo
>>
>>50778731
Is the secret a penis?
>>
>>50778767
they're taking a holiday break, no more UA until next year
>>
>>50778809
no!!
>>
>>50778682
Make sure your game has stuff for them to do. Let the Ranger track stuff, let the athletic characters climb, things like that.

Bard is a skill monkey anyway, and your best caster, so he's probably going to have the biggest impact outside the combat, but that's just his class.

>if they were doing something I thought was creative/interesting/stupid enough?
You know you can just give them Inspiration whenever they do things like that, right?
>>
>>50778813
oh daaang
>>
>>50778826
Oh god I completely forgot that was a thing.
>>
>>50778825
gay
>>
>>50778682
Just tell the martials to learn what things they can do other than the attack action. Casters can do that stuff too, but the players usually ignore actions that aren't spell-related, and are less likely to have the stats to succeed opposing strength rolls anyway. Same thing for out of combat, your ranger should be great at the wisdom and strength skill checks, and I'm assuming the halfling is dex-based. Your casters will mainly be charisma-based and the warlock won't get to cast many spells anyway, so they'll all be in a similar boat.
>>
>>50778717
Do you have this homebrew jew race? I would very much like to use this.
>>
Does the Enlarge spell effect a creature's ability to carry weight?
>>
>>50778573
Then why even play 5e? The entire game is built around the combat system, it's the only part of it that has any serious thought put into it. The entire pace of the game is centred around how many combat encounters you have per day and how many resources you use up per each one, which is in turn balanced around how difficult you expect the encounter to be, which is determined essentially by the HP, attack bonuses and damage dealt by the enemies in that fight. If you're stripping out all of that then why not just play a completely different system and cut all the (now pointless) book keeping?
>>
>Winter Break

>Wizards of the Coast is closed for its winter break from December 26 through January 2. Our next Unearthed Arcana installment will be on Monday, January 9, 2017.

insert sad frog face
>>
File: veruca-salt-bad-egg.jpg (70KB, 544x305px) Image search: [Google]
veruca-salt-bad-egg.jpg
70KB, 544x305px
>>50778767

But I want it NOW!
>>
>>50778863
This to be honest famalamadingdong

Shoving is vastly underrated. Having a stronk character throw someone to the ground and grapple them is how you have the rest of your team murder them in a single round. If any of your players use a shield, show them the shield master feat too. Shit is rad.
>>
>>50778825

Is the secret ur a gay?
>>
>>50778682
First, the Paladin isn't a true martial. Nigga has like half spellcasting progression, which is still better than, say, an EK, on top of Channel Divinity, Smites, aura shit, whatever else. Rangers, on the other hand, are martials despite having the same progression as Paladins, because they fucking suck.

You gotta be real careful about letting the Paladin play with the same martial-fixing toys as the Fighter, because the Paladin can actually DO SHIT with magic and class abilities outside of a fight; he's useful in exploration and social encounters, where the Fighter really isn't. So if you're unwilling to let the Fighter arbitrarily do things the Paladin (essentially pretending they are now Fighter class features), the Paladin is still just going to outshine him, since he can do all of that and then some. Hell, the fucking BARD is going to try and get in on the action, too.

Because that's the pitfall of making every zany idea a skill check. d20 is a huge fucking range and the difference in stats for a Fighter or Barb and a Paladin or Bard is, like, two. You can give one of them a bonus, but they're still gonna fuck up while some other guy doesn't.
So what you want to do is just outline some shit that the real martials can do that you're either not going to let anyone else even attempt, or the martials are going to automatically succeed while others have to roll. Is that fair? Yes, even if the casters whinge, because they get to go to another dimension, pull 8d6 AoE damage out of their ass, and summon elementals, while the Fighter waits until level 11 for his third attack to kick in. Whoopee.
>>
>>50778879
Yes. Look up carrying/encumbrance rules.
>>
>>50778885
Use this time to play some games.

Any other DMs giving their players some winter-holiday themed downtime events in game? My players will get theirs as soon as they (hopefully) kill this upcoming boss. Then they get a level up and can enjoy some downtime shenanigans.
>>
>>50778915
... yes...
>>
>>50778882
If the game is built around the combat system, I've got some bad news for you. 5e is the worst RPG since fatal.
>>
>>50778706

No one has to do anything for you, faggot.
>>
>>50778948

Then it's not a secret.
>>
>>50778955
>fatal
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0xBAJRQfzAi
>>
So what are these things you're going to let the martials do? Just train your mind back on 80s action movies and cartoons.

Do they want to pick up an enemy and throw them? Go ahead, no roll, and you can toss then more than just one tile.
Do they want to crunch through a thin-nish stone wall with a giant maul? Yeah, go to town for a few rounds. It's loud, but whatever.
Are they trying to kick the door in? It's a fucking DC 20, you know they're going to do it if they roll long enough, so just fucking LET THEM right off.
Guess what, Ranger and Fighter, any improvised weapon attack you make that I think is interesting arbitrarily does 5d4 because I fucking said so.
You want to throw a javelin or shoot an arrow at the enemy wizard's spell focus and knock it out of his hand? Here's an easy-as-shit check just for you, because the Bard would just Mage Hand that shit and that doesn't even cost a spell slot.
You can jump twice as high or far as the book says, no check, just fucking because, and I'll give you some situational advantage if you do it while attacking someone because that sounds awesome.

You just go ahead and make some fucking Cool Shit Passes and hand them to the Fighter and the Ranger, maybe give ONE to the Paladin, and say, "You can slap this down whenever you want to do some cool shit and we'll see." They get them all back on a short rest.
>>
>>50778573
I really, really recommend checking out Burning Wheel. It's not exactly this but it seems way better for what you are aiming for than 5e.
>>
>>50779005
oop >>50778928 >>50778682
>>
>>50779012
BW is very crunchy, isn't Torchbearer better?
>>
>>50778955
What else is it built around? 95% of features have a strictly in combat benefit. The skill system is weak, spells are the only real good way to do things out of combat via the mechanics.
>>
>>50778930
Thanks, can't believe I missed that. Enlarge only enlarges whatever is being carried by the creature when the spell is cast on them, right?
>>
>>50779033
Presumably, yes.
But if you're the DM, rule it however you like.
>>
>>50779027
Yeah Torchbearer is simpler and Mouse Guard even more so, but my impression was that he disliked the combat because it was bad, not just because it was crunchy.
>>
>>50779005
>because the Bard would just Mage Hand that shit and that doesn't even cost a spell slot.
Why wouldn't you rule "forcefully taking something of the other person's" as an attack? Mage Hand can't attack, IIRC, so using it in the way you describe doesn't sound like it groks with RAW.
>>
>>50779012
I have. I'm slowly indoctrinating my group to the idea that other RPG systems are worth trying.
>>
>>50779049
I'd say it's a sleight of hand check unless you are up close and taking it from them in which case it works like disarm or grapple or something.
>>
>>50779049
Because it's theft, not battery.
>>
>>50779005
I prefer to give them checks that they're gonna pass basically regardless of what they roll.

It's a matter of perception. They think they had a chance to fail. If they roll something so low even they don't think they passed, then let them fail it. But otherwise, "fuck yeah, you did it!"

That means not being a fuckhead and treating nat 1s like auto fails on skill checks too. I always remind my players, especially martials, to always give me the total even if it's 1, unless it's an attack as per the rules. This means as your martial gets even more stronk they will eventually never fail any of these checks. And you can stop rolling altogether, and now your player feels like they progressed and the magic guys won't feel like you just gave them free shit.

Of course, more rolls means a bit slower gameplay. But in my experience players fucking love to roll shit.
>>
>>50779041
Yeah, I'm just trying to make sure there aren't any rules I'm overlooking.
>>
>>50779047
>Mouse Guard
I want to play this so much, but my friends think this is stupid (they never read it tho)
>>
>>50779087
do mine eyes deceive me ? -sits in leather chair + fans powdered face- its as if youve.. revealed the truth behind his lie.. Mein Gott..
>>
File: koopy.png (16KB, 104x99px) Image search: [Google]
koopy.png
16KB, 104x99px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools

Bestiary, items, and spells now have filtering capabilities.
>>
>>50779049
>he thinks spells follow the rules
Cute.
>>
>>50779086
This. Mage hand to dump the arrows out of a ranger's quiver? Slight of hand.

Otherwise, attack roll or opposed check depending on what you like to do for trying to disarm people.
>>
>>50779113
[An image of a surprised owl, saying "Oh really?"]
>>
>>50779086
I can see a sleight of hand check if the wizard isn't actually holding it at the time: which, if you're in combat, he probably is. Out of combat is absolutely fair game.
>>50779121
????
>>
Play a real game, dungeon babies.
>>
>>50779113
>bestiary
>items
>fuckin spells
good shit mate
>>
>>50778471
A lot of editions, even pathfinder, have some good resources. Source material, that sort of thing.
>>
vader was kewl in rogue one huh ladz
>>
▄██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████

fail whale says "Please Respect Your Players"
>>
>>50779113
Damn, nigga. You my nigga.
>>
>>50779139
>Not even classic WoD changing breeds
total pleb

WW:tA was great
>>
File: Spawn of Fashan.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Spawn of Fashan.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50779139
STAND ASIDE, PLEBS
THE MASTER SYSTEM IS COMING THROUGH
>>
>>50779150
Yeah, pretty kewl tbqh.
Makes me wonder a bit why he had the shitty storm troopers go into Leia's ship and get shot at in episode 4 if he can just show up and fuck everyone up like that.

But I know that's a silly complaint seeing as they were made so far apart.

Anyway, how can we stat Donnie Yen?
>>
my char in upcoming game

Stats :-
Height = 9 foot 2 inches tall
Sex = Hermephrodite
Race = Half Moon elf/ Half (if any f you remember isis ot at least what her race was please tell me anyway its some kind of demon)
Parents = Raven Ferenan - Isis
Father to = Crystal, Jade
Mother to = Crimson
Hair Colour = Naturally Blonde - Enchanted White
Skin Colour = Dark Brown
Lipstick = Black
Eyes = Pure white
>>
>>50779113
Cantrips sort as 10th level spells, not level 0 ones like it probably should. Otherwise dope.
>>
okay so my idea is a demonologist character whose only power is summoning a level 30 archdemon with absolutely no loyalty to anything and no desire but to destroy
>>
>>50779209
k glhf
>>
>>50779207
Why do you have this?
Have you ever played it?
>>
>>50779242
>>50779209
I'm going to make a character.
And then I ll play a game. With all you guys.
>>
>>50779261
Anon, I'm not sure ANYONE has played this
I don't think it CAN be played
>>
>>50779242
we are dealing with Idiot Noob Prime here
>>
>>50779242
this sounds dope af 2bh
>>
>>50779294
cool going with it it
>>
>>50779294
*record scratch*
>>
>>50779321

*rubs head*
ey /5eg/ maskyousumtin
>>
>>50779242
this will never work. it's a fool's dream and i am a fool.
>>
>>50779139

Is that the one that has all the art that looks like it was super fetish-y before someone told the artists to get rid of the genitalia?
>>
the playstation rpg Tales of Destiny had some cool ass talking swords in it

inspiration? me thinks YES!
>>
dragon vs gang of street thugs with baseball bats
also kick open their eggs and make stew out of teh dragon whelps
>>
File: Arquebusier.jpg (121KB, 700x875px) Image search: [Google]
Arquebusier.jpg
121KB, 700x875px
So I have a player who's interested in playing a Gunslinger-type character.

Have any of you had any experience using any of the various homebrew versions from the DMs Guild or other sources? Any recommendations?
>>
so... rookie dm here. how much stuff should i plan for a 4-5 hour 1 shot?
how much time is a puzzle or trap vs a combat encounter?
are riddles possible for people to solve?
>>
>>50779391
game until sleep is inevitable
cast off these lines of lesser men
>>
>>50779390
Battle Master fighter... with a gun.
>>
>>50779332
ahh my clothes burnt off
>>
>>50779390
You can just let him play a fighter/ranger/rogue with Renaissance-era weapons from the DMG - they're not that broken.
If you REALLY want a class specialized to be a gunslinger, look up Matt Mercer's homebrew. But it's an adaptation of a Pathfinder a class and thus stupid.
>>
i found agood image to use for my sorcerer in tinkzorg's game, which will run regularly
>>
>>50779442
Only about 7 days left to tinkgame!!!!!!!!!"
nice, ill mark the date on my calender, and ill call it fuckfailday
>>
mind flayers can suck your brain right out through your skull, imagine what they could do to your genitals
>>
there should be a wizard build based around knocking prone that uses your 10th grade report card to floor the dumb fighters with your hard science grades
too bad that build would be vulnerable to Give Me Your Lunch Money
>>
>>50779481

Sucks them through a straw?
>>
sleepless nights alone
the trash bags shift beneath me
somehow I still live
>>
>>50779368

I think that's every wod book.
>>
>>50779497
[vid-m-bision-hyes]
>>
File: tumblr_o8hyzxcoQk1rmolp3o1_1280.jpg (113KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8hyzxcoQk1rmolp3o1_1280.jpg
113KB, 600x600px
>>50779414
y-you too
>>
>>50779390
I just let them re-flavor crossbows as single-shot pistols.
And if they take the crossbow master feat they can reload fast enough to take multiple shots if they are able to make more than one attack.
>>
>>50779540
*blows a cubic meter of smoke into your face without stopping to inhale or breaking eye contact*
>>
>>50779481
stop it boner
>>
>>50779555
TORPS
>>
>>50779555
>>
*opens 5e MM*
*jerks off to a picture of a naked lady with an owl's head*
>>
>>50779585
>*jerks off to a picture of a naked lady with an owl's head*
there is no such a monster tho
>>
i've played 5e once. i didn't know what to do, i got yelled at and then the enemy killed my guy. well,
>>
>>50779585
I don't remember this monster.
>>
This thread has taken a strange direction, even for shitposting. And I would know, I shitpost in this thread constantly.
>>
File: 1472670303751.gif (400KB, 298x167px) Image search: [Google]
1472670303751.gif
400KB, 298x167px
>>50779614
>>50779599
look closer, lads
>>
>>50779602
well what?
oh no. they got him.
>>
>>50779625
we fhucking did it, everyone
>>
>>50779625
i like to think that i had a hand in contributing
>>
[07:22] moviefone: hey dm
[07:47] DM: yes
[07:47] moviefone: Are you married?
[07:48] DM: Currently yes
[07:48] moviefone: Do you plan on marrying sometime in the future?
[07:48] DM: hell no
[07:49] moviefone: I HAD SEX WITH YOUR FUTURE NON-WIFE AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAA
[07:49] moviefone: added to pranklog.txt
[07:49] Dm: who is this
[07:49] moviefone: finally
[07:49] moviefone: revenge is mine
[07:50] Dm: bullshit
>>
holy heck @ this thread
>>
New char: A wisecracking faerie companion
>>
was i picked on in middle school? hmm let me think
* Weighed 750 pounds
* Parents were both Charles Manson (long story)
* Wore a bath robe to school every day
* Had the word "homo" instead of a mouth
>>
Is this some dank new bot built to shit up 5e threads?
>>
my character is a Pooka Wilder. shes a mischevious cat girl who can never tell the truth. <-----a thing you could say in changeling: the dreaming and it would be true
>>
>>50779641
You are lying. I just checked.
>>
>>50779811
no im just fooling around
>>
i like summons / pets. there my frends
>>
sometimes when were playing dnd and a combat starts and people are like 'ok, i'll flank around the side fo the monster and use sly flourish" and i'm like. oh. thats odd. because I definitely don't reacall you unsheathing your weapon.
>>
>>50779881
my character walks around with his twin scimitars drawn 24/7 so that isnt a problem
>>
>>50779893
>Yet another Drizztfag
>>
>>50779848
u_u
>>
>>50779907
"May the wind be on yer back, dunmer." ~Nord Dude
>>
File: 1377659999987.jpg (161KB, 500x679px) Image search: [Google]
1377659999987.jpg
161KB, 500x679px
Since this thread is in a pretty weird place right now, what's the coolest thing you guys have seen done with a familiar?

I have a new player, new to D&D in general, and he's really into his Warlock's Pact of the Chain feature. He keeps asking me about how to make it fight effectively for him, what kinds of things he can make it carry, etc. I know that familiars can do some pretty impressive stuff but when I try to think of examples I come up blank.

Does anybody have any good stories about characters doing neat things with their familiars?
>>
>>50779391
yo can anyone help me with this for real for real?
>>
"I believe that my work is in accordance with the will of the divine Creator." -Christopher Perkins
>>
>>50779935
>Does anybody have any good stories about characters doing neat things with their familiars?
when we finally beat PotA, (literal spoilers incoming) our cleric used mage hand to fish the fire dagger out of lava after i shot it out of vanifer's hand, and then passed it to our wizard's raven familiar, who carried it through the portal, banishing the fire prince.
>>
>>50779935
i had sex with it
>>
>>50779391
I don't know much about running one-shots, but most of my sessions only involve one or two combat encounters, maybe three for a longer one (6+ hours). If you're planning on there being any puzzles at all, make them alternative paths as opposed to obstacles that block progress excessively and cut the party off from moving forwards.

You said you're a rookie, is this your first session running? You might want to run a normal campaign first. It might be wise to give yourself a little wiggle room re: it being a one-shot, if you start running over and you have too much time left to fill you could just call it and schedule another session.
>>
File: TwistyCat.png (363KB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
TwistyCat.png
363KB, 480x358px
>>50779935
>Does anybody have any good stories about characters doing neat things with their familiars?
My kitten (died a while ago, still is in my heart): was like an irl familiar
>>
Do you guys like this as a mundane weapon to give a low level character as treasure?

>Court Blade
>3 lbs., martial
>1d10 slashing, finesse*, two-handed
>When you attack, choose one:
> - controlled grip: +1 to your attack, -2 damage
> - pressing grip: -1 to your attack, +2 damage
>*doesn't qualify for sneak attack.

is this op? would you use it? you HAVE to pick one of the options each attack. no neutral.
>>
>>50779935
I'm a permanent dm, so I only have stories of what I would do with my imp best friend.

>Sit invisible on my shoulder and telepathically give me advice on how to lie to and tempt people (helping another, advantage on checks)
>Fly around battles invisible, dropping ball bearings and using the help action
>Picking up ball bearings after battles to save money
>Scouting ahead searching for traps
>Dropping caltrops
>Scaring people
>Turning into a quasit and harnessing is poison
>Distracting guards
>>
File: main.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
main.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Can anybody r8 my setting?
>>
>>50779985
its my first in a long time, and first for 5e.
its might turn into more than a one shot, i'm thinking of it as a potential "prologue". we just finished one campaign, and our dm wants a break, so we've been planning on doing some 1 shots and switching things up a bit for a little.

so if i go over its okay, but I like he idea of it being a solid episode. I think it will be in everyone's holiday time off because it'll be right after xmas, so I think no one has to work the next day, so it COULD be more than 4-5 hours potentially.

puzzles, yeah. I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>50780020
The only people I can see a use for this is a lorebard/sorcerer/wizard/warlock as a back-up melee weapon that uses dex.

A 1d10 finesse two-handed weapon is already mostly just useful to a rogue/casters and not really anyone else.

If it were a rapier, it'd see a broader use though it still depends of who's in the party.
>>
>tfw no 4.5E with 5th as a stepmother

Hold me anons, tell me it will all be alright
>>
>>50780020
+1 damage (d8 to d10) isn't worth it for anyone that can use a shield which is mostly just rogue. +1 attack is great for rogue and maybe paladin and GWM users, while -1 attack is ok for war clerics, battlemasters and so on that get a good AB boost. Monk and rogue are the only dex classes that can afford to use a 2H weapon, and neither of them benefit from this, so as the other anon said it'd be a backup weapon for decent-dex casters.
>>
>look at applications for evil campaign on Roll20

I don't think I've seen more dandwiki links or edginess before in my life.
>>
I'm thinking of rolling a gnome Illusionist.

What are your favorite uses for Illusion spells?
>>
>>50780224
Turning doors through walls real, walking through them, and watching my pursuers slam into the walls after I let the illusion become fake again.
>>
>>50780086
As a potential prologue, you could always have it just be a mini dungeon with an open ending for expansion. Like, having the standard town with a problem, and the party needs to help solve this problem, but adding your own twist on things.

I guess, say for example, the party arrives in a town that has become victim to a wicked curse. In order to break the curse, the party must venture deep into the nearby woods and explore the ruins to find/stop the source of the curse. Within the forest and ruins, there could be puzzles or traps set for the party to either find alternate routes or take the time to solve/spring them. With it being a potential prologue, the source of the curse could be a small part or minion of a much bigger evil (I.e., Ganondorf cursing the Great Deku Tree with Gohma). Though admittedly, it sounds like a clichéd idea in hindsight.
>>
How do make the most slav character possible?
>>
>>50780060
Did you post this way back here or on /wbg/? I remember seeing it before, the cosmology is interesting.
>>
My PCs are currently traversing through a cave with kuo toa + an aboleth, chuul and such. I had an idea of one of the treasures being an egg of some sort, but I'm not really sure what would be an interesting animal/creature they could eventually, slowly tame or something as either a companion or guard for their fortress.
>>
File: 4158909-conantheavenger-10-46f99.jpg (426KB, 900x1370px) Image search: [Google]
4158909-conantheavenger-10-46f99.jpg
426KB, 900x1370px
>>50778682
>Is there a good way to make sure that my Martial characters can have an interesting time in and out of combat? The Fighter and Paladin are pretty creative, I was thinking of giving them a small pool of Grit Points that they could add to their skill checks if they were doing something I thought was creative/interesting/stupid enough?

The key is not to institute a shit ton of penalties/saves for everything they want to do.

Keep it simple. If he wants to hit someone and do something, then let them roll to hit and do it.

Don't make them roll to hit with disadvantage, then ask them to make an ability check, then allow the opponent a saving throw, and give the player character a penalty (lost weapon/prone/attack of opportunity) if they fail.

Part of why so many people liked martial adept maneuvers/4e martial exploits/Battlemaster maneuvers is because it allows your martial character to just do something cool- reliably without worrying that they just wasted an action. Just like making an attack with a weapon, using a grapple action, or most "magical" abilities.

Grit points/action points/inspiration helps, but unless its reliable resource, don't expect players to really factor it in.
>>
>>50779005
Nope after 4 failed rolls you say it can not be done.
>>
>>50780086
I would suggest being careful about riddles as well. Some like them, some don't. But something I see is that often the player and DM don't have the same reference for things. What is obvious to the DM isn't going to be even something that comes to mind for the players. So be careful there.

I would suggest trying to design puzzles/combat in your case around a finishing encounter then have several smaller encounters that can be had or skipped as needed for time. So you might have find encounters, but find that the players are taking very long and end up only using three if that is what you need. Just make sure stuff can be skipped without it being obvious to the players and design more than you need.
>>
How do we solve healing whack-a-mole and there being no incentive to heal before 0 HP WITHOUT instituting massive penalties to hitting 0?
>>
Another question for a new GM, if the party wants to split apart (lets say 4 dudes) hows the best way to handle that?
>>
>>50778682
I would suggest first that you play the game as written before you go homebrewing fixes for things that may not need fixing for you.

Let the players have fun, encourage anything they try, see where it goes. If it isn't working out then come back and as about what you can add to character X that might fit that specific character and how the player wants to play them.
>>
>>50780408
I've heard of 1 level of exhaustion when someone goes down, haven't played it yet but that sounds okay.
>>
>>50780252
thats not how it works, you would just make a real door that leads into a wall

dumbass
>>
>>50780408
If you really think it is a problem, then give the character disadvantage on anything he does the next round after he gets back up - being dazed. Also consider that everytime he gets knocked out (after the first) it counts as a failed check. So even if he gets up right away the third time he goes down without a rest he is dead. Make it more severe if needed.
>>
>>50780408
Make spells not restore you to 0+healing but just restore hp like normal. I've not really had this problem in play and punishing unconsciousness doesn't seem that bad (I give them 1 exhaustion, not a bad immediate effect but it means they have to rest up between tough fights which makes sense in the fiction) so I'm not the best to ask. My gm likes gritty and uses lingering injuries and you always wake up after 1d4 hours regardless of healing but that's not so fun.
>>
>>50780408
>How do we solve healing whack-a-mole and there being no incentive to heal before 0 HP WITHOUT instituting massive penalties to hitting 0?
I've been thinking about enacting some penalties once players get too low. Something like you get disadvantage on rolls when you're <1/4 HP. I'm playing Shadowrun 3e as well as DMing DnD5e and SR does a way better job at making you feel like you're HURT. Maybe too good of a job, sometimes, but I like the idea.

Maybe start small, first disadvantage on initiative, then disadvantage on attack rolls, then disadvantage on ability checks?
>>
>>50780445
I'm sorry, illusion mages are literally cartoon magic. That is explicitly how it works.
>>
>>50780408
>>50780458
Oh and another one I've heard is that death saves persist until a short/long rest which should work too.
>>
>>50780412
Discourage it until you are not so new would be the first thing I would suggest.

Other than that handle each group by itself, switching between. Look for pause moments with each group - every couple of ten minutes or so, and then switch out to the other.

If you have one person who keeps running off and wanting 1/2 the play time because of that start giving him way less...and of course talk to him about it.
>>
>>50780408
>How do we solve healing whack-a-mole and there being no incentive to heal before 0 HP WITHOUT instituting massive penalties to hitting 0?

By taking away most in-combat healing, particularly if you're already at 0.

If you go down, you stay down because nobody's going to be healing you, thus preventing "whack-a-mole". Healing is reserved for patching up AFTER the fight or to prevent you from getting to 0 in the first place.
>>
>>50780459
Sounds like http://theangrygm.com/fighting-spirit/. I don't have a massive problem with hp being can't do shit/can do anything but if you want more nuance and have penalties for not just hitting 0/-max then it seems ok. I don't blame you if you don't even open it with it being angrydm though, it's written like shit.
>>
>>50780020
That seems fine, it is on average either a shortsword with +1 to hit and worse min damage or a greatsword with -1 to hit and a slightly better minimum and average damage.
>>
Anyone else disappointed by getting one kinda villain and another super villain oath in today's UA?

I was especially hoping that Oath of Treachery wasn't an oath about usurping corrupt authority. Would have been a cool sneaky paladin archtype.
>>
>>50780460
you're fucking stupid, unless you do something with that space of REAL 10 ft. of stone or whatever the wall may be even if its 1 ft of wood, unless you magically transport that temporarily to some other plane of existence then your door leads to NOTHING dumbass

making ur illusion real adds to the world, it never takes away
>>
>>50780301
I would suggest looking at the stuff they are encountering, that way it makes sense.
>>
>>50780503
Yeah paladin oaths can be almost anything and aren't as limited by the theme and such like other archetypes, really disappointing to get 2 oaths I'll likely never use.
>>
>>50780509
A doorway is a hole. The hole is part of the concept of the object.

Let me guess, you play a barbarian?
>>
>>50780025
Caltrops and ball bearings! Why on earth hadn't I already thought of those? I'll try and drop some hints about those to him later. Thanks, this is good.
>>
>>50780412
cut between then at dramatic/pivotal moments, like it's a movie.
Note: this is hard to DM because you have to bear in mind all the situations at the same time. Use sparingly.
>>
>>50779391
If your players are dumb/don't know the world well/don't work well together then expect a somewhat complicated riddle or puzzle to be a 1-2 hour endeavour. So I would say for a 4-5 hour 1 shot prepare 2 small encounters(think like CR-2) 1 medium encounter(=CR) 1 big encounter(CR+2) and 1 puzzle.
>>
>>50780535
you're fucking stupid

you cant remove physical material with illusions
>>
Relatively new player here, have a couple questions:
First, is there anything I can do to stop my group from long resting after every fucking encounter? They all seem to just unload everything they've got on an encounter, and immediately rest to regen. I worry the GM is gonna take advantage of this and shank us after we all use our spell slots on rats or something.

Second, how does a Chaotic Good character work? I've been playing mostly Lawful Good or Neutral characters, and made a Chaotic Good character thinking it's mostly about "Kill everything that is bad", but after killing the leader of a bandit group the rest of the group wanted to knock out for questioning later, we had a big argument and they said I was more Neutral than Good.
>>
>>50780514
None of the enemies in the cave would be particularly egglaying, or if they were would definitely be aggressive, mostly kuo toa, chuul, drow, and such. a remorhaz could be possible, could be a little stronk for players though, even as a young one.
>>
>>50780574
Well, not with that kind of attitude.
>>
>>50780281
I believe I did.

This is an expanded version.
>>
>>50779935
one of the best general features for familiars is that you can cast touch spells through it - eagle (i think? double check) is one of the best familiars for this.
>>
>>50780574
The doorway becomes real anon. A real doorway is a real hole.

If you can make illusions real, whose to say that as part of the process you can't make reality illusory?

Fucking barbarian players, anyways needing to have things explained to them.
>>
>>50778484
Those Bard Colleges are fantastic.
>>
>>50780599
Probably owl for flyby.

Warlock gets a few neat touch spells, iirc invisibility being the major one. Fly too
>>
>>50780584
>None of the enemies in the cave would be particularly egglaying

Then I would honestly suggesting keeping this idea for later. Build something in another area where it will make sense and work the way you want. I would not suggest trying to force it in to an area where it does not fit naturally.
>>
>>50780616
yes, a real door that leads to a real dead end

dipshit

YOU ARENT DOING ANYTHING TO THE 10 FT OF STONE DUMBASS
>>
>>50780642
As a possible idea for the future, if an owlbear is like a half owl, would it lay eggs? A baby owlbear sounds like a fun addition.
>>
>>50780578
Let it happens if it happens. It is a game.

But I would start by talking to the DM and see if your concerns are legit. Maybe he is OK with the way things are going.

I play 'chaotic' as 'no honor'. The ends always justify the means sort of thing. Lie, cheat, break your word, what does it matter? Is allowing evil to happen (if CG) really more important than keeping your word? What a fool. Fake the evidence if needed it is for the greater good.
>>
>>50780616
So from what it sounds like, the illusion is essentially the equivalent of the road paintings from the Road Runner cartoons?
>>
>>50780683
Exactly.
>>
>>50780661
You usually hear reference to them as laying eggs, so go with it. Your players will accept it.
>>
>>50780632
yes, it was owl, you are right
>>
File: PZOPSS0609E-Naalu.jpg (117KB, 561x1000px) Image search: [Google]
PZOPSS0609E-Naalu.jpg
117KB, 561x1000px
>>50780578
>First, is there anything I can do to stop my group from long resting after every fucking encounter? They all seem to just unload everything they've got on an encounter, and immediately rest to regen.

You can only benefit from a long rest once every 24 hours.

Also, if the party is just ambling around and not doing anything time sensitive, clearing out entire buildings/camps/dungeons in a single encounter and then making camp, I don't see the problem.

If they're plopping down for 8 hours while on a time limit or in the middle of a place with hostiles still wandering around after they just raised hell, then the DM should act appropriately.

>>Second, how does a Chaotic Good character work? I've been playing mostly Lawful Good or Neutral characters, and made a Chaotic Good character thinking it's mostly about "Kill everything that is bad", but after killing the leader of a bandit group the rest of the group wanted to knock out for questioning later, we had a big argument and they said I was more Neutral than Good.

CG would be a loveable scoundrel type like Han Solo, Robin Hood, or Aladdin. Yeah, you break the rules, lie cheat and steal, and a free spirit, but you're a nice person deep down who actually isn't that bad.
>>
>>50780700
Fuck yeah lil baby owlbear
thats assuming the PCs don't just automatically assume its going to fuck them over and scramble it.

Which they probably will.
>>
>>50780535
By this logic
>make illusion of a gunshot wound through enemy's head
>make it real
>they die instantly
>>
>>50780578
Random encounters should naturally start getting you if all you do is one fight then rest.

CG Are Robin Hood types. Attached to freedom and fighting oppression, they focus on opposing corruption and evil in law and letting everyone do as they choose. They generally ignore traditions and laws when it comes to deciding plans and just do what they feel is most right and good.
>>
>>50780763
1d4 improvised damage, no stat bonus because it's a spell
>>
Starting up a Sci-Fi campaign with a few players. I'm DMing, and they want a good set of space ship customization and combat rules. They are very adamant on staying with d&d for the base rules.
It should also be known that in this setting, melee weapons are still viable, and lead projectile weapons are still popular and can compete with lasers, etc.
What are some good (rough) ideas to start with this?
>>
>>50780814
Fair. Since most illusions can't move, I'd also give the enemy a Dex save with advantage to avoid it.
>>
>>50780763

You can't hurt anyone with that ability, so no, can't do that.

Now as for the door thing, that's really up to DM fiat. Personally, I'd allow it. It's a level 14 ability, who cares if it can make a fucking doorway or not?
>>
Hey lads, what kind of modifications could be made in a Warforged's body for some utility and maybe added effects, provided we have access to a nice forge, a good smith and a wizard?
>>
If I want to play a monk who uses pretty much exclusively unarmed strikes fluff-wise, are there any caestus/brass knuckle-type weapons I could use, and would it be worth it for any on-hit effects like poison?
>>
>>50780845
There is nothing to dodge. It takes place instantly, the only possible save is a con save to not go braindead, except chunky salsa rule says they simply just die.

>>50780814
The damage won't matter once chunky salsa applies.

>>50780845
This doesn't deal damage.

This also doesn't directly harm anyone, as only the object is specified to directly harm anyone. This is not an object, but a lack of an object.

The problem is that you then allow the player to make doorways through anything and everything. With the warlock ability, you've just given the player a more powerful version of passwall, at-will, along with all the other things they can do (adamantium tanks out of nowhere, etc)
>>
>>50780850
>Hey lads, what kind of modifications could be made in a Warforged's body for some utility and maybe added effects, provided we have access to a nice forge, a good smith and a wizard?

As familiar as I am with Eberron lore and how Warforged are actually made, I wouldn't allow it. Warforged are like homunculi- actual living creatures that happen to be made from non-living matter- not robots that can have limbs painlessly removed or bolted onto them.

But I know lots of people see it otherwise, so I'd go with the usual arm blades, armbows, spiked armor, etc.
>>
>>50780890
Or you could just punch. Even before level 5, 1d4 is on average 2 less damage than the 1d8 of a quaterstaff, and after 5 its pretty much negligible
>>
>>50780496
Hmm, this seems real interesting. Has anybody actually tried this because it does seem like it both works with the style D&D does and encourages players to not be stupid.
>>
File: 1454146091445.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1454146091445.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>50780661
>tfw my party found an owlbear's cave, killed the babies, and took the eggs to sell
>>
>>50780827

Ultramodern 5e is in the MEGA. It features lots of options for Sci-Fi settings.

Also, have you talked about what kind of Sci-fi they wanna go for? Is it more Star Trek or Star Wars, or something else entirely?
>>
>>50780496
>No one ever USED Combat Expertise in D&D 3.5. A lot of people took it. It was the start of some really cool feat progressions. But no one ever used it to boost their defense at the expense of their offense. In general, players never fight defensively.
I'm pretty sure I had CE on literally every character in 3.5 and never stopped using it
>>
>>50781277
>Star Wars
>sci-fi
??????
>>
>>50779209
>>
>>50780646
ILLUSORY REALITY
By 14th levei, you have learned the secret ofweaving
shadow magic into your illusions to give them a semireality.
When you cast an illusion spell of 1st levei or
higher, you can choose one inanimate, nonmagical object that is part of the illusion and make that object real. You can do this on your turn as a bonus action while the spell is ongoing. The object remains real for I minute. For example, you can create an illusion of a bridge over a chasm and then make it real long enough for your allies to cross.
The object can't deal damage or otherwise
directly harm anyone.
>>
>>50781277
It sounds like they want to go for a Sci-fi where all of the standard fantasy races are used, elves, orcs, etc. But right at the beginning of galactic exploration to give them a hefty amount of freedom in what they do since they would be out of the grasp of powerful governments.
>>
File: tsar-pushka-king-cannon.jpg (25KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
tsar-pushka-king-cannon.jpg
25KB, 337x450px
>>50781356
Yeah this adds new material to the world, not modifying existing material.

So while you can make a bridge or staircase, you can't make a door through a solid wall because that would involve modifying the wall itself. It's still easily one of the best abilities in the game.

However RAW you could create a massive fucking cannon and blast the wall down since it doesn't say anything about damaging terrain, just people ("anyone")
>>
>>50781425
It can't deal damage. I assume that includes damaging terrain. If you could damage terrain with a cannon, then to create a doorway you'd just have to create the illusion of an explosion inside the wall and make that real.
>>
File: 1481224934489.jpg (780KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1481224934489.jpg
780KB, 900x1350px
>>50780274
the idea for this adventure is just that the party winds up in this huge castle/dungeon, and the dead start coming back to life a la a zombie movie. i've been cribbing a few things from strahd and some other adventures, which i've been reading religiously out of anxiety about doing an okay horror dungeon crawl.
my idea for a tie in, if anyone cares, is i was thinking about having the zombie thing be tied into a new god on the scene, who would be some kind of undeath god (and his cult), and the pcs could have to deal with that after being in ground zero of their "birth" into the material plane.
thats all kind of a bad explanation of something i've though about way more (and written about way more) than i feel the need to detail here, but basically that could be the start of some new religious warfare, cult activity, undead popping up, apocalypse, destabilization of the kingdom, etc., including a creepy castle full of death cultists who kind of gave rise to this new godling.
one idea i had for boss fights is that the dead in this setting would reanimate as normal zombies UNLESS they had a really strong attachment to something other than life. i.e. these creepy nobles who are obsessed with cannibalism and the occult, some of their extremely loyal servants, some twisted psychopaths, etc., and even some allys who are so devoted to a good cause (i.e. some paladins) or some neutral parties who reanimate but just want to be left in peace or want to protect something or someone.
good idea on having a few endings.
>>50780397
riddles yeah. i DID test the one riddle I'm thinking of on someone else, who got it after i gave them a hint. so i'm hoping the four people in the party will be able to get it, possibly with a hint or two i've prepared.
your advice is really good though, i'll try and remember that even if i map things out, the pcs don't need to know i skipped things. thanks.
>>
>>50781456
I make an illusion of The Unbuilder, the greatest deconstructor in the business. He makes Mike Holmes look like an infant with downsyndrome when it comes to tearing down houses before flipping it.

He'll take down that wall in less than a minute or your money back. No explosives, no mess. Just a nice path.
>>
>>50781488
It specifies inanimate objects, senpai.
>>
File: Capture.png (31KB, 557x318px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
31KB, 557x318px
>>50781456
This is a bit of an odd bit as far as rules go because, for example, Minor Conjuration can't deal damage and disappears if it takes any damage, however you can make a sword and attack with it without violating either of these clauses.

So with that in mind I think what they mean by "can't deal damage" means that the spell itself can't deal damage- ie: I can't summon an Anvil above an enemy's head, however I can summon a sword and hit someone with it since I'm making the attack roll and not the spell.
>>
File: absolutely disgusting.png (476KB, 573x730px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely disgusting.png
476KB, 573x730px
>>50778438
>that Paladin UA
>shit, shit shit, shit, shit, shit shit shit
>level 20 feature for Conquest is okay though
>>
>>50781508

The Unbuilder is like a Bike. You ride it and move it with pedals.
>>
>>50781523
Yeah, you could also remove a necessary step and have that already, e.g. make a cannon, load an actual cannonball into it and that might work.
>>
>>50780496
>>50781036
I'm looking at this, and I really like it.

There're some things it brings into question and monster difficulty might need to be upped a bit and I'd definitely make HP harder to regenerate (not even from healing spells) but it solves several problems.
>why don't we just long rest constantly after everything?
>you reached 0 HP, you can't do anything!
>why play defensively when you can just smack everything?
>>
>>50781587
On the one hand, I really want to try this and see if it works because it solves many problems and also gives the excuse to run every monster as actually being smart rather than run and smack. On the other hand, I've played all of 2 games, GM'd none, and I don't want to get too experimental with my first damn game.
>>
>>50781614
Oh yeah, I also forgot
>this monster wants to fuck over downed prey, but I'd feel bad for doing this!

I know enough that this seems like an actually nice change if you're prepared to make some special rulings, but I wouldn't do it unless your players are well aware of what it means.
>>
>>50781523
Minor conjuration can deal damage. The rule is that if it does deal damage, it disappears, but not before dealing the damage.
>>
>>50781644
Do I do the death saves on top of it as well?
>>
>>50781695
Does that mean the usual shitposting about creating grenades with it is actually viable?
>>
>>50781356
You create an object, yes. A doorway consists of a door frame and door. The empty space is not an object. Even if it WAS an object you would be at best creating it in the same space where there IS an object, and there's no reason empty space should delete an actual object, since objects by definition occupy empty space.

>>50781546
Okay, you may have a good argument there. I think as GM I'd ask for some sort of check to see if you knew how to build such a machine though.

>>50781523
Also a decent argument- but I think creating anything that CAN deal damage if the target was a person rather than a wall violates the spirit of it. Something pedal-powered, like the theorized Unbuilder, I this is acceptable on the same level as a minor conjuration sword- the energy causing the damage is coming from the wielder, rather than a conjured chemical reaction or negation-of-matter.
>>
File: druidmancer.jpg (63KB, 564x916px) Image search: [Google]
druidmancer.jpg
63KB, 564x916px
So, in a combat situation, as a rogue, I went to go grab a armband off a unconscious enemy's wrist, who was being carried by the armpits by another enemy. I rolled a Sleight of Hand check (14) and the DM said that A. the guy holding him by the armpits slaps my hand away and I don't get it, using my action and B. when I tried to move out of their space I provoked an attack of opportunity.
Is it bullshit that the guy holding him got to stop me from taking a wristband off an unconscious enemy, and if not, shouldn't that have atleast used his reaction thus not provoking a AoO? I think I might just be a salty splatoon but might as well confirm.
>>
>>50781719
If grenades exist in the fantasy universe, then yes. Considering dynamite is hardly better than an eldritch blast iirc, it isn't that imbalanced.
>>
>>50781695
>The rule is that if it does deal damage, it disappears, but not before dealing the damage.
Where is that ruling? In the errata?
>>
>>50781800
yes

Minor Conjuration (p. 116). The conjured
object also disappears if it deals any
damage (6th printing).
>>
>>50781800
Just the RAW.
Iirc the erratad rule (because in the original PDF there was no similar clause) was the object disappears if it deals damage. There is no wording to suggest it disappears before damage, in fact dealing damage is the condition to make it disappear.

If they had wanted it to never deal damage, they should have worded it "the object disappears if it would deal damage."
>>
>>50781719
You have to have seen a grenade before, but technically yes.
>>
>>50781872
Yeah, I was looking at the RAW and was looking for the rule that said it dissipated at all. The wording does support it deals the damage before disappearing, I agree.
>>
>>50781873
Neat.
I'd take it one step further and say you had to see the insides of a grenade as well, but that's still good to know since the character in question I'm working on is your typical tinkerer type so they'd have built their own grenades specially for conjuring.
>>
>>50781906
Yeah, I imagine a good conjurer is always on the lookout for more neat shit to copy later.
>>
>>50781571
>the fuckhuge explosion isn't doing damage to itself or the cannonball
>>
>>50781719
>creating grenades when you can create acid shishi-odoshi
>>
>>50781705
I imagine death saves are out the window. Then again, maybe there could be something later.

I think I'd do, maybe simply
>HP = FS
>HP = New HP, too
>regain half of your HP on a long rest if under safe, comfortable conditions. Otherwise, only one quarter.
>Healing only heals FS unless specifically stated.
>While FS = 0, your attacks are less effective
>when HP = 0, death is VERY imminent. Possibly a death save or two, not sure.
Only concern is my idea goes from 'okayish' to 'dead' fast. However, players can always play dead, I guess.
>>
>>50781952
Illusory Reality isn't affected by taking damage.
>>
File: 1461423658700.png (112KB, 331x440px) Image search: [Google]
1461423658700.png
112KB, 331x440px
I'm terrible at running combat.

I always make things too easy for the PCs. I have enemies make decisions based on what I think might make cool things for the PCs to do and as a result of this and of my own general ineptitude they are rarely challenged.

Aside from upping CR ratings, how can I make my combat encounters more challenging for my players?
>>
>>50781983
Are your players complaining? Because if they're having fun I don't see a problem here. That's the point of the game, after all, not necessarily to make them sweat, and certainly not to try and "beat" them.
>>
>>50781760
I don't think it was wrong for the guy holding him to notice and to react, 14 is a pretty low roll as far as rogues go. But to get a reaction attack seems a little off, since he couldn't possibly have been holding his weapon beforehand given he was holding on to said unconscious guy.
>>
>>50781967
>>50781705
What I was thinking there was 'at 0 HP, you are conscious but effectively stunned (no actions or reactions) and maybe slowed. Every turn, you must make a death save. If you fail it, you die. If you succeed, you stave off death for another turn. If you roll 20, you gain 1 HP. You need to wait for somebody to stabilize you immediately, or you can try it yourself if you're still alive, though it might be harder.

I'm worried that what I suggested will make people use HP as a secondary HP pool and then just suddenly die, though, so that's kind of a problem if they don't realize it's a 'your shields are down, get the fuck out' health pool.
>>
>>50781983
Tucker's Kobolds. Be brutal. Stop designing encounters around giving PCs cool shit to do all the time. Every so often you have to remind them that they are, in fact, not hot shit as they chase the singular hobgoblin straight through his bouncy betty booby traps.
>>
>>50781995
>Are your players complaining?
A couple times, yeah. Two people in my last group asked if I was fudging dice for them I was; I get frightened of drawing combat out and boring or frustrating my players and my best friend who I just ran a first session of a campaign for a few days ago remarked that the session of combat seemed a bit weak. I had had the enemies surrender after the PCs successfully intimidated them into surrendering.
>>
>>50782011
End of every turn make a death save, other PCs can use their reaction to try and stabilize. Move towards your dudes to get back to normal with your ass trailing 5 feet behind you.
>>
>>50782015
This, there needs to be a balance. If the players always get their way and are always cool that loses the effect. Especially if they catch onto you designing and playing things in a way that that will happen. If you go hard on them and then they get a badass moment or whatever it will be much more satisfying as a result.
>>
>>50781983
Well, stop having the enemies act like dumb-dumbs. Your players may still surprise you by coming up with cool things in response to whatever "smart" situation you put the enemies in.

Aside from trying to kill your players harder, you could also create situations that are more difficult for the party to resolve optimally but pose little risk to them personally (unless they act foolishly), like hostage situations.
>>
>>50782015
I don't design encounters for it, I just think of it in the moment: there's usually a plan behind the enemy's actions in the first place when they do stuff players can hypothetically take advantage of, and the players always simply happen to roll well in those situations.
>>50782045
Like I said, I don't think I'm running the enemies like idiots. I've done hostage situations several times before but they usually just end in a series of intimidate rolls that I have no way of resolving other than letting the party win them (because they very rarely care about the hostages, and killing off the hostages is rarely a good move for the enemy, plus in practice it just means that the fight goes on normally as a wholesale slaughter: what are they going to do, kill the hostage-takers twice?)
>>
>>50781973
Yeah, but it is effected by DEALING damage, which makes one question if self-damage counts.
>>
>>50782084
Design at least one encounter per session then. A well balanced group of enemies that are specifically designed to fuck their respective mouths if played correctly. You generally play them smart, taking cover and using whatever tactics they have. If they have a numbers advantage, have them split up and try to separate the party by dragging/shoving and flanking around to the backline. If a couple big dudes, have them stay on the defensive, hiding behind cover and forcing the party to go attack them. Have traps play a part in fights and include some gimmicks like differing heights or environmental effects.
>>
>>50782029
I think I'd rather make it so their first turn they auto-succeed and then they have a round where people can try to save them. Then, they make the save at the usual start of their turn which might result in them dying.

I'm still trying to refine the system, though. I might have to think on this.
>>
I'm remaking my first d&d character in 5e. Which seems better?
(Character is your typical Outlander Ranger/Fighter who's learning to become a Magic User to help his town)

>Variant Human, Magic Initiate (Druid) with Mold Earth, Mending, and Goodberry
>EK with Outlander background

>Variant Human, Magic Initiate (Druid) with Mold Earth, Mending, and Create or Destroy Water
>UA Ranger 3, Underdark (More for backstory than cheese)
>EK the rest of the way

>Variant Human, Tough to compensate for shit hit die
>UA Ranger 3
>Wizard the rest of the way, maybe UA Artificer

>Variant Human, Tough or War Caster
>UA Ranger 3
>Fighter (EK) 9
>Wiz 11

I feel like Multiclassing in general is a shitty idea in 5e.
>>
>>50782234
>I feel like Multiclassing in general is a shitty idea in 5e.
Depends how long the campaign is going to go for. Few ever reach twenty so missing those features isn't too harmful. Just think about getting to revised ranger 3-6 along with something else. That's a shit load of features for not a lot of investment.
>>
>>50782028
Don't fudge dice for them, for one thing. The intimidating thing might have been fine, but without details it's hard to tell. I'm going to assume the worst case that you let one successful intimidate check make them give up (if this isn't how you did it feel free to correct me), when I'd say that's AT LEAST a three-check problem. The first intimidate should discourage the enemy and lead to advantage/disadvantage being handed out, the second might get one or two of them to run, and the third might finally get the rest to surrender- and that's if the party's winning consistently and the enemies are pretty much screwed.

As for general difficulty, I'd say that one of the best ways to make things harder on players without feeling like you're just making numbers bigger is to lay out the terrain in the first place so it slightly advantages the enemies (like adding some fire sources around enemies immune to fire, or giving the bandits the players are attacking cover and ranged weapons while the players start in more open ground), which makes encounters more interesting and gives the players more stuff to think about, exploit, and mitigate.
>>
>>50782234

I definitely wouldn't multiclass EK/Ranger. If I was going Fighter/Ranger I'd multiclass Battle Master; you'll get a lot more use out of that then you will whatever EK gives you.
>>
>>50782234
>I feel like Multiclassing in general is a shitty idea in 5e.
Level dipping is pretty handy in 5E, actually.

I'd say UA Ranger/Monster Hunter Fighter and maybe a single dip into Rogue if you're a sneaky sort would be fitting.

Go with Magic Initiate and the Mold Earth, Mending and Goodberry.
>>
>>50778948
Hardly a secret, they're fey.
>>
>>50782234

Multiclassing can be a very powerful tool in 5E, it just requires some finesse to use and a choice as to what class to start as at level 1
>>
>>50782376
The answer is always Fighter, Rogue, or Paladin
>>
>>50782405
unless its not
>>
How's this sound for a character concept?

>Originally your typical posh city Cleric
>Volunteered (Or "Volunteered" thanks to political enemies) to go on a dangerous expedition into uncharted territory Lewis and Clark style
>Learned by necessity how to live off the land from the Rangers he travelled with
>Thanks to healing magic and strong allies, manages to make it back from the expedition in one piece, and the party had significantly less losses than expected
>Said Cleric got a taste for adventure and doesn't want to spend more time in the city with all it's political bullshit in the church
>Leaves town immediately after making his report with the rest of the expedition, leaving their life behind, meets with the rest of the party shortly after

>Variant Human, Healer or Magic Initiate for Mold Earth
>Ranger/Cleric of Life (Exact class levels undecided since I don't know if UA Ranger is allowed yet, mostly Cleric levels though)

Related question- do you consider Better Berries to be cheese?
>>
Does the MM or any of the UA supplements have a multi-part creature? Like a creature with multiple statblocks?
>>
One of my players really wants the shillelagh for their valor bard. So much so, that they are willing to pick up magic imitative for it. However the feat reads, that they would have to use WIS as the modifier. So my question is, is it really a big deal for him to add CHA instead? Or can some op shit be done with valor and shill?
>>
>>50782570
Yuanti kind of, although i think its just attacks
>>
>>50782596
yes its op. consider giving them it as a magic weapon or item somehow.
>>
>>50782609
The only thing is, he want to use a homebrew item based off STR, and without it he would have to keep up with WIS, STR, and DEX. Is that an issue? Would allowing him to use DEX instead be workable? The item uses Warhammer stats
>>
>>50782697
I mean CHA not WIS
>>
>>50782697

the druid cantrip wouldn't help him here either since it only works on clubs and quarterstaffs. just what is going on here anyways?
>>
paladin UA is very unimpressive
>>
>>50780060
Hmmm...
>2 ideas:
>There is a sun, but the tendril network moves through clouds of shadow,
thus individual tendrils pass through night after their neighbors. Deserts seem to repel the shadow clouds and are thus barren and sun baked. Some places are always shrouded in night, like tainted swamps, and they send out arches of shadow clouds onto nearby tendrils and are home to twisted mutant life forms. Shadowclouds give life, Sunlight gives magic, combined they make the network and magic-wielding life.
>The avatars of the gods occupying the Core Temple
rarely call their minions and servants to them. Instead they rely on different means of communication such as telepathy and messengers. A thriving trade in espionage, interception, and forgery is practiced in the six tendrils. While the will of the gods is unreliable, divinely forged weapons, armor, and gear are easier to check for counterfeits and curses.
>>
>>50782714
This is a little out there, but I'm a somewhat lenient DM. He wants to use a guitar as a weapon, I told him he could but with warhammer stats which use STR since that appeared logical to me.
>>
File: 1467062132381.png (468KB, 853x500px) Image search: [Google]
1467062132381.png
468KB, 853x500px
>>50781964
>vial of acid weighs 1 lb and deals 2d6 damage
>minor conjuration can create 10 lbs of acid in one go
>>
>>50782747
Since Valor bards are proficient in martial weapons I figured why not. I didn't want to oust his concept of fun
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>50781964
Acid doesn't explode.
>>
>>50782596
He can take it as a magical secret at 10th level. It probably isn't worth it at that point though.
>>
>>50782766

>use a guitar as a weapon

..i mean...i guess? if it's cool with your world that one guy runs around hitting things with a guitar fucking go for it?

just make it a light club or something d6 finesse bludgeoning damage whammo blammo. or let him go warlock (fey pact) with a patron who thinks this is rad as fuck and gives him the ancient book of shadows for his radness to make his guitar swings stronger or something. probably won't break the game to just give it to him either
>>
>>50782792
>>50782784

Thanks for you input anons! I'll probably end up using quarterstaff stats instead of warhammer and making it dex based
>>
>>50782697
>>50782596
I'd allow it. It's a whole goddamn ASI, after all, that isn't spent upping charisma.
Lore bard could get shillelagh anyway, and shillelagh on a pure bard isn't really a massive deal unlike it would be on a paladin.

I'd treat the guitar as a club through improvised weapon logistics, but shillelagh naturally increases its damage from 1d4 to 1d8.
>>
File: 1376925847420.jpg (60KB, 696x462px) Image search: [Google]
1376925847420.jpg
60KB, 696x462px
>be illusionist wizard
>make an illusion of a 20ft cube of neutron star material
'Gee, wizard, what're you doing there?'
>use illusionary reality to make it real

Conjuration wizard has a limit of 10 pounds of material, so they can make a ridiculously dense ball of photons or honestly something really light but so densely packed it explodes instantly. They could also make atomic material. They'd have to be a pretty good scientist to qualify as being able to do this, however.
>>
Can you heal (Via Cure Wounds for example) a corpse to get it in good condition before using Revivify or Raise Dead?
>>
>>50782935
>Implying Stars aren't the Gods floating in the sky
>>
>>50782936
No.
>A creature that has died can’t regain hit points until magic such as the revivify spell has restored it to life.
>>
>>50782936

This is 100% DM fiat land. Nobody will have a good answer, but I'm sure if this catches on we'll fight about it for the next 6 threads.
>>
What are all the spells that mess with the flow of time? Haste, slow, time stop... Are there more?
>>
>>50782936
Generally you'd need much higher level spells.

Wish may return a body that no longer exists.
Regeneration might put a body back together again.

I can't recall all of them, but healing itself won't fix a body. You'll need a spell that specifically puts parts back together such as regeneration.
>>
>>50783016
>Needing spells to mess with the flow of time
You need to go faster.
>>
>>50782935
Arguably exploding counts as "taking damage" so the conjured item would disappear before it could do anything. Also, you have to be able to see the the thing at some point, which means it can't instantly explode. Making some solid alkali metal is plausible though. Aim for the water elemental.
>>
File: 1479400285011.jpg (44KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1479400285011.jpg
44KB, 500x375px
>Bard can get Swift Quiver 7 levels before Ranger and cast it twice as often
>>
>People always say a bucket of Acid is good for Minor Conjuration
>When you could instead make a bucket of Molten Steel
>>
What is the best Bard College? Alternatively, what is the best archetype for each class?
>>
How do you guys handle Mass Combat? The UA pdf seems overwhelming to me.
>>
Is a 2-3 dip in warlock for armor of agathys + Mage armour at will as an abjuration wizard being super metagamey or is it a fitting thing for character? It sounds fun but I don't intend to be munchkin
>>
>>50783003
It is 100% not. This: >>50783001 is in the PHB, page 197. If the deceased is missing a body part that is not integral to their survival, they can be brought back with Raise Dead or Revivify and then regain what's missing through Regenerate. If they can't be raised without that missing part, then only Resurrection or Reincarnate work
>>
>>50783016
Wish is capable of changing the very, very recent past. It may also likely be used for other things that might be timey-wimey at DM's discretion.
Deck of Many Things (magic item) is capable of completely undoing events in the past to the point you can completely uncreate the universe.
Foresight supposedly allows a character to see into the near future for benefits.
Similarly, diviner wizard's abilities are something related.

Fighter is some pretty time-defying shit with their action surge.

Then, there's all the real life physics you can potentially abuse with spells such as 'teleportation' which may allow you to do things such as slow time on your home planet relative to a safe pocket of space which you can teleport to, allowing you to do a hundred days of work in only a day on the planet, perhaps. Of course, most DMs will probably not follow real life physics.

Overall, haste/slow/time stop are kind of the main things you should be looking at.
>>
>>50783134
Lore is one of the, if not THE best caster in the game. Valor is the strongest archer from level 10 to 17.
>>
i don't like leather armor, is there something else i can do for rogues?
>>
>>50783016
Depending how you fluff them, quite a few spells. Note that haste, slow, and even time stop can justifiably be fluffed as NOT messing with the flow of time.

>>50783145
It's totally awful for wizards, if that's what you mean. It might be fitting for a certain character's personality, but it will completely hose the usefulness of the class.
>>
>>50783173
Max level armour of agathys and able to refresh the abjuration shield St will with nage armour isn't good?
>>
>>50783172
Take 1 level in a class that gives you medium armor. Breastplate gives you 14-16 without disadvantage on stealth checks.

If you also take the Medium Armor Master feat you can use Half plate without disadvantage and have an AC of 18.
>>
>>50783240
i've just been avoiding raising dex instead and taking feats. i guess maybe i'll go fighter 1 or something to get archery fighting style as well. or maybe even the +1 ac one...
>>
>>50783200
Setting your casting progression back 2-3 levels isn't good. It's only ever going to be worth it after you hit 17th level.
>>
File: Chronomental.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Chronomental.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50783149
>>50783173
I really liked pic related and am working on a more satisfying version. So far I've changed it's multiattack and special abilities (Steal Time, Displace).

I'm thinking of giving it Innate Spellcasting of Time Stop and Blink once per day each, Blink being fluffed as shifting through time layers or stepping out of time. As an added cool thing, whenever blink is triggered, the chronomental would go to the same "layer" with a creature affected by Displace.
>>
>>50783275
As a Rogue the +2 to hit is going to be a lot more useful, since you don't get multiattack you want to guarantee hits as much as you can.
>>
Here in the twilight of the night, the time of men, and this thread, I just want to remind you that 4e is a superior game.
>>
>>50782479
It's cheese but not too bad, I'd say it's like moon druid in that it's incredible early on but evens out quickly. Also it's healing so even if it was the cheesiest thing ever it wouldn't be very bad in play.
>>
>>50783275
Archery is great, I would recommend maxing dex before taking any feats as a rogue though, there not really many even close to being better than that. Situational advantages are ok and pretty cool but +1 on rolls you make 10++ times every session matters so much more.
>>
File: EVERYONE, GET IN HERE..jpg (39KB, 479x361px) Image search: [Google]
EVERYONE, GET IN HERE..jpg
39KB, 479x361px
>>50783523
>>50783523
>>50783523
>>50783523

new
>>
>>50782792
Finesse weapons are already a bit bunk IMO, how exactly are you justifying that a fuckin' guitar is a "finesse" weapon? You're bludgeoning people with it for heaven's sakes. Why even bother with STR at that point?
>>
>>50783353
Who would win in a fight? a 4e 8 int wizard or a 5e druid optimized to reproduce with endangered species?
>>
>>50782935
>make 10 pounds of elemental astatine
>doesn't count as taking damage because it's natural state is nuclear explosion

R U N
>>
Has the Mega been updated with all of the UAs that came out since they started doing their weekly releases? I've been not paying attention to them and would like something to read and number crunch on for the holidays.
>>
Want to try playing with some friends. None of us have ever played D&D. Should we play on some online platform (though still in person)?
>>
>>50782935
how would your wizard know what any of that is?

sounds meta gamey
>>
>>50779140
I too love this dragon.
Thread posts: 344
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.