[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 421
Thread images: 78

File: Frozen Geyser.jpg (81KB, 634x817px) Image search: [Google]
Frozen Geyser.jpg
81KB, 634x817px
>Latest News
Monk UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Last thread: >>50720417

Fantastic Landscapes Edition

So, anons, do you like adding fantastical terrain features like floating castles/islands, rivers that rain upside down, walking forests and singing streams to your setting? Or does it have to be as realistic as possible for you?
>>
File: netheril.jpg (154KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
netheril.jpg
154KB, 1024x576px
>>50727485
>fantastical terrain
FUCK YES.
Gimme more of that shit
>>
>>50727497
Never apologize preemptively, anon. Hesitance invites criticism. Confidence dares them.

>>50727485
It depends where in reality you are. If you're in the "natural" world, or the Center, no, things should be realistic because they should feel familiar to the players.
But the closer you get to Chaos in the gradually-shifting cosmology, the weirder things become. Near Chaos just has oddities, like the occasional floating rock, purple rivers, and dwarves. But it only gets weirder from then on, all the way to Far Chaos where matter and energy don't feel any obligation to the natural laws that supposedly hold them together. If it rains upside down, the rain is probably made of sound bursts.
>>
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/157339657594601472/259092718385364992/bestiary.html

Some anon made this last thread, it's currently the best resource I've seen for looking up monster stats quickly. It has monster stat blocks from every official book, including Volo's Guide to Monsters. This thing is right up there with Kobold Fight Club in terms of utility. How do we get this into the pastebin?
>>
File: Land of No Sunrise.jpg (267KB, 1280x806px) Image search: [Google]
Land of No Sunrise.jpg
267KB, 1280x806px
>>50727578

I actually do have a few more pics I can share, if that's desireable...
>>
>>50727485
>>50727578
FUCK DOUBLE YES
>>
>>50727584
Somebody's been reading the Amber series.
>>
File: Lava Chamber (Skullrock).jpg (107KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
Lava Chamber (Skullrock).jpg
107KB, 636x900px
Personally, I quite like having fantastical terrains. I grew up on the D&D cartoon and stuff like Dino-Boy in the Lost Valley, so... yeah. Plus, I quite like high fantasy. ;)
>>
File: FionaWasAMistake.jpg (59KB, 364x611px) Image search: [Google]
FionaWasAMistake.jpg
59KB, 364x611px
>>50727628
Yes, please, but not too many, if you wouldn't mind.

>>50727644
Somebody's been reading the SHIT out of the Amber series. But I've thoroughly mixed it up with 4e cosmology to arrive at something I greatly enjoy.
>>
Problem with fantastical terrain is what do you do with the Feywild and Shadowfell if the regular world gets too super fantastic?
>>
File: speed factor initiative.jpg (278KB, 985x1331px) Image search: [Google]
speed factor initiative.jpg
278KB, 985x1331px
Has anybody tried using speed factor initiative? How did it work out for you?
>>
File: Ancient Tree.jpg (194KB, 583x801px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Tree.jpg
194KB, 583x801px
Something I brought up in the last thread... I'm working on a bunch of "Wastelander" Genasi subraces, inspired by the Athasian Genasi in 4e and some of the Paraelemental/Quasielemental Genasi in 3e. Would this be a place to talk about them?
>>
What are some good plot lines for an ocean themed campaign? I'd love to do a pirate/coastal/seafarer/underwater campaign but no idea how to go about it.
>>
>>50727626
Thank you to the kind anon who made this.
>>
>>50727485
I like fantastical underwater terrain so campaigns I run tend to include stories that take the players to underwater locations.

With lots of gears.
>>
What does /tg/ think about the concept of narrative resting? I've noticed some suggestions to change the required rest time to compensate for slower pacing, but what if you changed a rest from a time requirement to a location requirement, or even general plot stuff like gaining the favor of the gods? For example, you can only take a long rest by going to towns or finding special oases.

I've noticed that many games I've played virtually do this already ("no, you can't rest now- if you do you'll be attacked 100%" or "sure you can rest now, 100% safe from interruption). Also many DMs seem to unconsciously limit combat to once per day because that makes more sense to them than fighting wave after wave of enemies with 1-hour breaks in between every other wave.

The aim is to clarify resting as a milestone, rather than something the PCs can attempt at any time in theory but not in practice. It lets the PCs know the restrictions ahead of time so they can plan around it.

tl;dr Make resting like a "save point": y/n
>>
So I may be joining a 5e game after a long while away. I have very limited D&D experience, I moved on to other systems quickly, but this particular group of friends still loves 5e.

>Is the Shadow bloodline Sorcerer good? Too good? Seems closest to what I'm looking for.
>What do I need to keep in mind, coming back from GURPS/Dark Heresy/etc that's a major paradigm shift?
>Any advice?
>>
>>50727708
Ignore them because they both suck major shit
>>
>>50727776
have you heard about the super pirate treasure
>>
>>50727626
WAIT GUYS THIS IS IMPORTANT
>>
>>50727776
The PCs are druids, tasked with saving the porpoise population, dying out due to low birth rates and global warming.
>>
>>50727716
The problem with SF initiative is that everyone must declare their action at the top of the round, and that's not really the flow of the modern D&D combat.

>>50727763
This is the place to get yelled at until they're balanced. Although judging from your first submission there will be very little yelling because you actually care about balance.
>>
>>50727716
Gee, this is a reprint of the initiative system of AD&D.

Guess who gets fucked over most by it?

Not the martials.
>>
File: cryingcat.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
cryingcat.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
>>50727626
why was this not in the OP
>>
File: ItsOkayToHaveShitTasteAnon.jpg (33KB, 458x710px) Image search: [Google]
ItsOkayToHaveShitTasteAnon.jpg
33KB, 458x710px
>>50727835
Makes sense to me. If you're constantly tense and twitching at every shadow, you're not really resting. Conversely, that magical fountain sure is refreshing and oh would you look at that I'm all rested up!

>>50727890
>Hating on faeries
Next you'll be telling me your dwarves are actually Lawful Good
>>
>>50727977
>I don't like LG Dwarves
I would settle for greedy asshole dwarves everywhere if that also meant elves were persona non grata in civilized lands
>>
>>50727872
I'd say shadow sorcerer is a bit too good, but it's just about allowable if the player has the restriction of NO multiclasses allowed. Sorcerer is already a bit weaker than wizard unless you can really abuse metamagic (Say, sorlock or something, so you need multiclass to unlock that potential). Shadow sorcerer is also ridiculously good as a one, maybe even two level dip (So, again, no multiclass there). Once you can't multiclass, compared to a wizard, I'd say it's balanced enough. You get cheap, super-darkness. You get a much-upgraded version of the barbarian's ability (though not a direct upgrade). You get an almost direct upgrade to heightened spell (disadvantage hound). You get a pretty much upgraded shadow monk key feature (leap through shadows 60ft, except now it's 120ft because fuck you) and you get sorcerer bear edgy rage(tm) for resistance to almost everything for only 3 sorcerery points for a minute.

I'd allow things like undying light warlock (That's mostly fine for multiclassing though) and shadow sorcerer and UA revised ranger because if you don't abuse them with multiclasses, the class itself is not exactly tier-1 and will still be balanced with the party.
>>
>>50727971
Because no one is telling me how to put it into the pastebin. It's easily the coolest shit I've seen. Last week I ran an encounter with a hobgoblin captain, a devastator, and six soldiers. I had to flip between two books and continually look back and forth on every single turn.

Basically I love this because it gives me more time to use flowery language to describe combat rather than looking up stats.
>>
>>50728003
Did I not just say I like my elves fucked up? I'll allow one merchant caravan per month. Otherwise, they can stay right the fuck away from my castles, thank you very much.
Although my dwarves tend to be more complex than pulpy greedsters, but at least with them you sort of know what you're getting in trade.
>>
>>50727776
Let's see, there's stopping pirate raids, battling to become the pirate king, stopping cultists of some aquatic horror (aboleth, kraken or full-fledged Lovecraftian monster), a war against underwater conquerors like sahuagin or reavers (from Ravenloft; basically chaotic evil Creatures from the Black Lagoon), sailing to new colonies/undiscovered lands if you want to add some more traditional dungeon-crawling to it, finding a lost sunken city... any of these help you? This is all off the top of my head.

>>50727927
Thanks, but even though I do care about balance, it doesn't always work out so good. For comparison, this is the Sun Genasi subrace I did in a nutshell:

+1 Cha
Immune to sun-glare
Advantage on Con saves vs. blindness
Spell-like abilities: Light at will, Searing Ray (Radiant damage Fire Bolt) at will, 1st level Cure Wounds 1/day at third level, 2nd level Blazing Rays (Radiant damage Scorching Ray) 1/day at fifth level
Resistance to Radiant Damage
Acclimatized to high temperatures
>>
Quick, list all of the factions that are actively interacting with the adventurers in your campaign. I'm curious how many you guys are using and what they are.

>Adventuring Guild
>Fey Folk
>Biopunk monks
>Assorted goblinoid tribes
>Horned Beast cultists
>>
>>50728022
>he doesn't screenshot PDFs, paste cropped statblocks into Paint, and print them in grayscale for a handy one page reference
>or make shorthand notations of notable stats on a piece of paper if using physical books
I mean, it's great that we don't have to now, but it's not like book-flipping should ever have been something a prepared DM needed to do
>>
>>50727927
>The problem with SF initiative is that everyone must declare their action at the top of the round, and that's not really the flow of the modern D&D combat.
How is that a problem, though? I get that it differs from "the flow of modern D&D combat," but in what way, and why is that a "problem"? That's what I'm asking about in the first place.

If it means my players won't get bored waiting for their turns, I don't give a damn about "modern flow." Priorities, I guess.
>>
>>50727961
So do you think of it as a worthwhile fucking-over, or an excessive one?

>>50727977
I feel like refusing to relegate fairies to the sidelines by confining them to seperate realms doesn't really indicate that people dislike them. It might even mean the opposite, e.g. if they wanted fairies to be more involved in the regular world they might not need or want a feywild
>>
>>50727776
The Lawful Empire is battling to try and wrest control over the High Seas, while the Chaotic Pirate Emirates and the Neutral smaller countries are trying to maintain parity or tip the balance in favor of the pirates.
>>
>>50728047
Lord's Alliance (Mythril Hall, Waterdeep, Silverymoon in particular)
Harpers
Emerald Enclave
Zhentarim
Cult of the Dragon
all four PotA elemental cults
some pirate/sea cult that is not related to PotA's water guys
Spooky Star God
Hill Giants we have convinced to stop being assholes
No Order of the Gauntlet yet unless you count its founder's estranged lich brother
Dwarves, who are always a faction unto themselves regardless of their other allegiances
weird gambling riverboat (in the ocean) with magical gaming tokens run by a secret mafia or something
>>
>>50727485
My setting is a floating island, but my players don't know it, as they haven't explored that far.
>>
>>50728039
Well, at least you try. <3

>>50728047
>Assorted barbarian tribes of Dok
>The Shaman Council of Dok
>Assorted Denevan nobles
>The Court of Winter
>The Court of Summer
>The Gloaming Court
>The Wild Court
>The Church of the Raven Queen
>>The secret intelligence branch of the Church of the Raven Queen
>The Gray Knights of the Raven Queen
>The dwarven fanatics of Gutri-Khum
>Heian the Demigod and his assorted minions
>The Four Knights of Heian (including those presumed deceased)
>BANE, GOD OF WAR and his assorted minions

To be fair, this was during the endgame. But it doesn't include many factions along the way.
>>
>>50727927
>everyone must declare their action at the top of the round
Uh, isn't a more elegant solution (if you must use speed factor) to simply shift initiatives up/down based on the actions of the last combat round? No one has to declare anything in advance, the extra (or less) time they took last round is simply catching up to them now.

Since you need to rewrite numbers on your initiative tracker every time, you may as well just make a new one as turns occur in a round, and you'll have it all ready to go for the next one.
>>
>>50727485
>So, anons, do you like adding fantastical terrain features like floating castles/islands, rivers that rain upside down, walking forests and singing streams to your setting? Or does it have to be as realistic as possible for you?
I just realized that I forgot to write anything cool like that into my homebrew setting. The best I got is the humies having giant rotating buildings that direct trains to different tracks and the elves living in large walled cities made completely of crystal that grows like crabgrass when exposed to magic. Maybe I should save that physics-defying stuff the different planes.
>>
>>50727626
A version of this in the Mega as well, under Extras.
>>
>>50728169
Speaking of my homebrewing efforts and balance... I've been trying to figure out how to do up a Tallfellow (elf-blooded) halfling subrace based on their AD&D arrival, and also a "Strongheart" (human-blooded) halfling subrace. Can I get some feedback on how I did? I'm really worried that they're both extremely overpowered.

Halfling Subrace: Tallfellow
+1 Wisdom
Darkvison
Fey Ancestry
Keen Senses
Fleet-Footed: Increase your base walking speed to 30 feet.

Halfling Subrace: Strongheart
+1 Strength, +1 Intelligence
Schooling: You gain Proficiency with either 1 skill of your choice or one martial melee weapon of your choice.
>>
File: 1439128078973.jpg (703KB, 1200x848px) Image search: [Google]
1439128078973.jpg
703KB, 1200x848px
I wanna have bird people in my setting as a playable race.

Should I make that race Tengu or Aarakocra? What're the differences?
>>
>>50728075
Your players won't get bored waiting for their turn (although they shouldn't anyway), but they'll have to spend even more time deciding what to do because they'll have to account for unpredictable contingencies.
For example, do I choose to cast fire bolt at this archer without knowing whether or not he'll have time to get to cover? Do I choose the dash option without knowing whether or not enemies will close in with me before I get to move?
You end up with quite the clusterfuck unless you're willing to let people change their actions somewhat when their turn comes around, and at that point you might as well just roll initiative and follow turn order.
>>50728177
Interesting idea, actually. I might try it out to see how it goes.

>>50728103
>Not needing the feywild for faeries
That's actually fair. But when someone says the feywild is shit I assume they mean they don't like its concept and atmosphere, which you have to maintain to a degree even if you relocate it to deep forests in the regular world.

>>50728140
Must be a big fucking island if nobody's ever brought back news of the edge.
>>
>>50728244
Aarakocra are bird people from the elemental plane of air. They are dedicated to the plane of air and can fly.

Kenku are specifically ravens/crows, a race whose god long ago stole their wings and voice. They can only speak in mimicry, at which they are very adept.

Kenku are way more flavorful, imo.
>>
File: 1432525198448.jpg (759KB, 1400x1980px) Image search: [Google]
1432525198448.jpg
759KB, 1400x1980px
>>50727716
My group has quite a few people who like to try out different systems for things like initiative, so in 5e we've gone through a few.

Speed Factor stuff seems so cumbersome that it doesn't feel at all like the rest of 5e's minimalistic approach to things. We tried a couple variants back when 5e first kicked up and dropped it not longer afterwards.

So far, my group's favorite initiative system is a bit of a toss-up between classic initiative and The Angry GM's popcorn initiative. That one works in that at the start of the first round everyone rolls like normal and the person who got highest goes first. Then, at the end of their turn, they declare who goes next (anyone in combat) until everyone has had a chance to go. Then, whoever went last picks who starts off the next round. They can select themself if they so desire.

It also works really well with new players because it's REALLY easy to understand, lets people combo with Ready actions and keeps everyone's attention focused because they could be up at any moment. A few newbies to D&D even got more into the action because they piped up with their combat plans asking to go next, and people actually talked about stuff more than they do during normal combat.

It's worth trying out for a single session if you get a chance.
>>
>>50728233
Anon, those are both already in the PHB.
>Lightfoot
>As a lightfoot halfling, you can easily hide from notice, even using other people as cover. (...) In the world of Greyhawk, these halflings are called hairfeet or tallfellows.

>Stout
>As a stout halfling, you're hardier than average and have some resistance to poison. (...) In the Forgotten Realms, these halflings are called stronghearts.
>>
>>50728233
>Tallfellow
Seems reasonable, if it does pack too much for a halfling subrace. I would drop Keen Senses - they already have a bonus to wisdom and will probably pick up perception anyway.

>Strongheart
Flat out drop the intelligence bonus and you're fine. Also, martial weapon instead of a skill is a bit of a trap option.

>>50728278
Nah, I understand anon. The PHB helps you refluff the existing subraces, but many people want to separate hairfeet and tallfellows, or have subraces that more resemble Tolkienian hobbits, or what have you.
>>
>>50728302
>proficiency with any martial weapon
>trap option
Not all halflings have to be rogues and bards, you know.
>>
>>50728244
>skinny, wacky bird races that squawk all the time
Neither. Make beefy birdmen. None of these races are ever very good at flight and it's always stupid when they are, so abandon all pretense of winged shit and just make burly owl people or something.
>>
>>50728246
>Your players won't get bored waiting for their turn (although they shouldn't anyway
And what if they do? That was my problem with my last group and it drives me nuts because I can't figure out how to fix it. I'm fine with things taking more time as long as people don't get bored during that time, which is why I'm considering this as a solution.
>>50728277
I suggested popcorn initiative to the group that kept getting bored during combats but they kept insisting they weren't bored and that they wanted initiative to stay the same. I'm talking about a new group, here, though, so maybe they'll be more amenable to the change.
>>
File: vanuvanu.png (649KB, 684x751px) Image search: [Google]
vanuvanu.png
649KB, 684x751px
>>50728333
>beefy birdmen
It's important to remember birds are just dinosaurs.
Add feathers to lizardmen and there you go.
>>
>>50728244
Aarakocra are flight-capable winged bird-people originally from he Elemental Plane of Air. They have a strong mystical streak and long-lasting ties with powers native to that plane, including shamans who speak as equals with air elementals and a history of aiding benevolent immortals from that plane.

Kenku are cursed, flightless crow-folk who yearn to fly but are incapable of doing so. They are traditionally expert thieves and mimics, and 5e amps this up by making them incapable of speaking directly - they have to mimic sounds they've heard other people making, including language.

>>50728278
Oh, I know what the PHB says, but, really, Lightfoots don't match the Tallfellows of old, who were basically halflings with all of the elven advantages and implied to have elven blood, much like Stouts are rumored to have dwarf blood.

Strongheart, meanwhile, was my attempt to name a hypothetical "presumably human-blooded" counterpart to the Stout and Tallfellow; I forgot it was a real 5e halfling name.

>>50728302
Thanks for the critique.

I mostly went with Keen Senses because Tallfellows in AD&D had the same "detect hidden doors" ability as elves, so I figured it was flavorful. If you'd recommend dropping it, that's okay with me.

With Stronghearts, I wanted to present them as the more ambitious and aggressive of halflings, so they tend to be either well-learned (bonus skill option) or trained to fight (bonus weapon option). So... yeah, I'm not sure what to do.

You'd definitely advocate just giving them +1 Str? Mountain Dwarves get +2 Con and +2 Str because their subraces abilities otherwise only amount to some free armor training.
>>
>>50728348
>Wants to fix a problem
>Suggests a change to the group
>They decline because they don't see it as a problem
I mean, I understand where you're coming from, but if your players don't see it as a problem even after you've pointed it out then there's another problem besides 'initiative is boring' at play here. You need to figure out what your players want out of combat and remedy a problem if there is one.
>>
>>50728326
Those that aren't either already have proficiency with martial weapons or they don't need it.

>>50728348
I understand your problem, and it's fairly prevalent, but this won't fix it. People will still disengage when they're not acting.

>>50728376
Don't compare them to mountain dwarves, though, because base races pack different amounts of abilities, and that affects what the subraces should have. Halfling gets a ton of stuff in the base race, which is why the subraces are relatively plain. Stouts just get +1 con and poison resistance, and that's fine because they also have Lucky, Brave, and Halfling Nimbleness.
>>
File: Dinotopia Style Castle.jpg (51KB, 650x321px) Image search: [Google]
Dinotopia Style Castle.jpg
51KB, 650x321px
For those interested in critiquing some more of my work, I got some very, very homebrewed gnoll races over in the gnolls thread: >>50724053

But, more fitting for this thread... I really want to make a Serpentfolk race, inspired more or less by Robert Howard's King Kull & Conan stories, but without being always Chaotic Evil. Do you think that this is a viable concept?
>>
>>50728302
>>50728233
Nah, I think intellect bonus is fine.

Strength and intellect combined are the most useless stats. There are very few people who use both.
Barba-ATs, some EKs and some really funky wizard multiclasses.

And then, the fact halfling gives +2 dex means the EK would rather be dexterity EK in the first place.
Oddly though, it makes it easier for a dex EK to wear heavy armour armour without problem, but they'd still end up on 25ft speed.
>>
File: 5607332.jpg (26KB, 354x241px) Image search: [Google]
5607332.jpg
26KB, 354x241px
So my friend is DMing for the first time and is planning on running the Storm Giant adventure. I've heard that there's a bit of nautical material in the adventure and that's inspired me to make a Hemmingway-esque grizzled seaman character (pic related).

However I'm torn on what class to make him. Swashbuckler Rogue seems like a natural choice, but I feel like Storm Sorcerer could also be flavorful. Anyone have any thoughts on what would be more interesting, both flavorfully and mechanically?
>>
>>50728448

If yes, how does this statblock look? Overpowered as the Yuan-ti Pureblood?

:edit: Stupid post limit, had to break it up due to size.

Serpentfolk
Ability Score Modifiers: +1 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision
Toxic Spittle: A serpentfolk secretes copious amounts of venom from its fangs, which it can wield in battle. A serpentfolk can either spit venom (treat as a Poison Spray cantrip cast using Charisma) or deliver a toxic bite, turning its Unarmed Strike damage into Poison damage.
Veil of Humanity: All serpentfolk can weave an instinctive glamour about themselves in order to walk amongst humanity. As an action, a serpentfolk can raise its Veil, which causes it to appear as a single human identity chosen a character creation. This disguise only conceals the serpentfolk's race and does not alter its apparel, or its condition, so injuries, etc, carry through. Only magical items of at least Legendary potency can see through this illusion, but a serpentfolk is forced to resume its true form should it hear the phrase, "Ka nama kaa lajerama".
Subrace: Choose between the Fallen Serpentfolk and Pure Serpentfolk subraces.
>>
>>50728047
>The Thousand Hands of the King
Basically police for a 15-year-old king. Mostly pallys, fighters, and clerics. Chasing down the party for causing a ruckus in the city and associating with elves. (The humans really fucking hate elves)
>The Grand Church of Mia
The god that's predominantly worshiped by humans is a CG god of creativity and industry. Basically, they're desperately trying to keep the narrative that their god is still alive and totally wasn't shattered completely during a long-past war of the gods. Currently on a secret holy quest to reclaim the pieces of her soul and revive her. The party just found out that the magic talking sword they picked up houses a piece of her soul. They don't know that the church wants their fucking heads for not giving it to them. The current BBEG is actually a BGGG (big good good guy) who's tracking them the fuck down.
>The Red Hearts
A ragtag group of pseudo-communist cultists that believe the king isn't really the distant grandson of a literal god and searches for the true heir to the throne. They're gaining more support of skeptics by the day. Plot twist: they're dead fucking wrong about the king. They started off with a quest from them looking for the "real" king but pretty much abandoned the group when they found out that the man they were after was just a really powerful dragon sorcerer.
>>
>>50728489
Subrace: Fallen Serpentfolk
Ability Score Increase: +2 Strength
Scaly Armor: A Fallen Serpentfolk's toughened hide means that its unarmored AC is treated as being 12 + Strength modifier.
Rending Claws: A Fallen Serpentfolk's Unarmed Strikes do Slashing damage instead of Bludgeoning damage.
Slavering Maw: A Fallen Serpentfolk's Unarmed Strikes do bonus Poison damage equal to its Strength modifier.
Hunter's Senses: A Fallen Serpentfolk has Advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks.

Subrace: Pure Serpentfolk
Ability Score Increase: +2 Intelligence
Hypnotic Eyes: A Pure Serpentfolk can cast the Friends Cantrip, Charm Person as a 1st level spell once per long rest at 3rd level, and Enthrall as a 2nd level spell once per long rest at 5th level. Intelligence is its casting ability score when using the spell-like abilities granted by this rat.
Shielded Thoughts: A Pure Serpentfolk has Advantage on Wisdom saving throws caused by spells and magical effects, and is Immune to Charm effects.
>>
Can a party of Level 5 Cleric of Life, Divination Wizard with Lucky and Way of the Open Hand Monk take on an Abominable Yeti?
>>
>>50728507
Too many cantrips on Pure. Fallen would be fine except it gets too much out of strength. Change AC to 12+dex.

>>50728489
Especially with the base race being fairly stacked.
>>
>make a race that can only mimic words
>Forbid creativity

????

This is bizarre to me. Why are kenku forbidden from doing anything creative at all? It's an impossible constraint on players, because arguably everything is now forbidden.
>>
>>50728440
>>50728461
Hmm... I think you both make good points, honestly. Hard to make a choice.

>>50728546
Hm, if I just remove the Friends cantripo from Pure and let it gain access to Charm Person and Enthrall at those higher levels, would that be better?

...Honestly, I'm not sure why Scaly Armor was stacking of off Strength in the first place. Thanks for the catch.
>>
>>50728540
Probably, especially if it's the first or only thing they fight that day.
>>
>>50728540
No, the cold breath does their health on a DC 18 Con save fail, something none of them are proficient in. They have to do something smart like fall damage to kill it.
>>
>>50728575
Friends is a shitty-ass cantrip. I'm more worried about free access to enchantment effects and a +2 bonus to the casting stat. Again, especially considering how much is already in the base race. You should either prune it or the subraces.

Why is the captcha all about Sushi all of a sudden? Has it learned to identify street signs with unerring accuracy? ARE THE ROBOTS LEARNING?
>>
File: Ancient Ruins.jpg (769KB, 695x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Ruins.jpg
769KB, 695x1000px
Since this thread is being so helpful to me, I figured I might as well ask... I've been trying to do a kobold PC writeup since before Volo's Guide came out, and seeing it afterwards made me redouble my efforts. I really liked Pathfinder's idea of giving them a lot of variable racial traits, it really emphasized the "draconic mutts" aspect of their fluff, but I'm worried about whether or not that's the right angle to go with.

Could folks take a look at my initial writeup of the kobold and my revamp draft and tell me which one looks better? Due to their size, I'll just share the google doc rather than try and squeeze it into here

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
>>
>>50728578
I guess I'd make it the only thing they would fight that day.
I tried to make them fight 3 yetis at level 3 and it went miserably though.

>>50728596
The mountain top they would fight it in has giant vents from the forges below, maybe I can help them with this?
>>
>>50728639
Make sure to beat your player who is a divination wizard AND has lucky. I have been playing over a year and I have yet to see someone break the common courtesy of not taking that feat OR that school.
>>
File: tropical_city_by_mrpeculiar.jpg (560KB, 1200x509px) Image search: [Google]
tropical_city_by_mrpeculiar.jpg
560KB, 1200x509px
>>50728047

>Cliffside Town Guard
>Cliffside Lord Mayor's Office
>Cliffside's Noble Families
>Cliffside's Crime Syndicates
>Marshall, Carter and Dark
>Church of Abadar
>Goblin Tribes on The Wekarq Archipelago
>Kobolds of Észak-hegy
>Clergy of The One God
>The Saber Sharks, a Gnomish Mercenary Fleet

Several groups are being used as proxies in a Dwarvish Succession Civil War, split between Liberals and Conservatives. The Goblin Tribes owe the PCs some favors, and the Kobolds have named two PCs as Dragon Prophets.
>>
Help me a little. Got a player who wants to play a Kenku bard, 5e obviously. Logic is she can mimic the sounds of instruments. So she actually needn't have an instrument because her bird mimicry does the work. I actually dig this idea and want it to work for her but I'm still a stickler for rules. I don't want to butcher things mechanically.

So, I have to homebrew slightly. I'm think I can just get her to use an arcane focus, like an orb, in place of an instrument. Also, she only gets proficiency for mimicking instruments she's proficient with. That should be sufficient, right? Any problems mechanically that might arise from this?

Also, how does a Kenku learn new spells if they can only mimic the vocal components? Would they have to have heard it to know it?
>>
>>50728676
He's the only one actually trying to play his character properly though.
The Lawful Good Cleric of Life tried to break into the jewelcrafter's home to shit (literally) on his carpet because the jewelcrafter called the guards on him when he used thaumaturgy to try and intimidate him.
Needless to say I made him roll for taking a shit, and since he rolled a 2 he ended up constipated instead.
>>
>>50727776
In case you haven't already written up some rules regarding boat/ship mechanics, I recommend using Nautical Adventures.

https://olddungeonmaster.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/5e_nautical_adventures.pdf

It's got a super in-depth combat and sailing system and my players are super excited to use it.
>>
File: 1472707644602.jpg (91KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1472707644602.jpg
91KB, 500x500px
What would a staff made out of Behir parts (claws, horns, teeth and leather) be like, if made by a master craftsmen of course?
>>
>>50728718
It takes a hand to use and you are playing music so a focus should work. The Kenku probably hung out outside a bard college and heard ALL of the words for spells, but never the capacity to cast them until now. Maybe she used to poke a head through the window and listen to different songs that cast different spells, that's how she knows now.
>>
>>50728760
Perfect. I love the simplicity. I'll discuss this with her, thanks.
>>
>>50728753

With claws, horns, teeth and leather? Nothing much

Though I might let a choice tibia do something, depending on how much money, time, and enchanting power is invested

My rule of thumb is that your ingredients give you an apropriate host to do something magical which you already can do.
>>
>>50728718

A tuning fork might be an apropriate component, as could be a Maestro Wand (my bard uses a Maestro Wand of Minor Illusion as his arcane focus, to play out the notes)
>>
>>50728626
Right now it seems like the Groundling's Trapmaster stacks with Expertise in Thieve's Tools to disarm. I'd avoid that, since stacking multipliers leads to shenanigans. Maybe keep it to just automatic proficiency in thieve's tools, the perception advantage to find traps, and add advantage to investigation checks to find/understand traps.

For the mystic, probably change the spells to an x per long rest situation, like the errata'd Drow.
>>
Anyone ever done characters that completely disguise their true motivations?

I'm going to be playing a worshiper of Shar (edgy nihilism), disguised as a worshiper of Leira (illusions and lies), and I'm wondering how that'll go. Only me and the DM know.

Should I gradually hint to the party, or save it all for a final, grand reveal?
>>
>>50728825
Sorry, meant quarterstaff, it's for the monk, you see.
>>
>>50728246
It is a big fucking island, also the edge of the island's surrounded by mountains that go higher than the atmosphere, and the entire place is basically a demigod's terrarium.
>>
File: 1457301919695.jpg (51KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1457301919695.jpg
51KB, 500x375px
>>50728676
>Make sure to beat your player
This

>>50728864
Literally nobody cares who you worship, unless it's also tied to an agenda.
>>
>>50728333
where is that from? i recognize that from sonewhere.
>>
>>50728951
>>50728864
Yeah, forgot to mention the end goal is world destruction/consumption by Shar.

Kinda really awfully evil.
>>
>>50728858
Awesome suggestions. The maestro wand can be replaced by an actual wand later, too, which I like.
>>
Playing in the AL tomorrow, and my wizard will be able to get to tier 2 finally. In other words, where all the fun shit actually happens.
>>
File: mozaihi.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mozaihi.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>50728982
>[Ame-Lord] Mozaika 01
Takahashi OVA about not!Darth Vader and his anachronistic fist-shaped doomship and the sword-wielding rebellion. Demons who may or may not be ancient giant robots are involved.

It's 80s D&D as fuck.
>>
>>50728729
>character rolls to shit
you're retarded and your game sounds childish as fuck bro
>>
>>50729277
You sound upset.
Not my fault he didn't eat anything before.
If you force yourself to shit you can give yourself a hernia or even pop a blood vessel, educate yourself son.
>>
>>50729277
>implying you can just shit on demand
>>
>>50729320
i got dubs you didnt, i win

kys faggot
>>
>>50729320
You should have allowed him to shit without a roll, then had the jewelcrafter report it again. The investigating agency uses a ritual to determine the owner of the shit and asks if the jewelcrafter wants to press charges. He declines, then contracts assassins to track down the Cleric; they use the shit to scry on and locate him. They attack him in the night when he's resting without his armor on and stick a literal dragon dildo up his butt.
>>
>>50729369
He got banned from the merchant quarter because he fucking tried to break in someone's home with whom he already had an altercation with.
We lost about 1-2 hours with this shitting debacle, the moral of the story is don't let in people who don't play and keep saying "Ugh, wouldn't it be so funny if totally random and stupid thing?".
And he is supposed to be Lawful Good, I think I'm gonna sick a Rust Monster on him, no, make it a small swarm.
>>
>>50729419
The moral is get better players.
>>
File: 884.jpg (203KB, 637x442px) Image search: [Google]
884.jpg
203KB, 637x442px
>>50729435
I live in Bumfuck nowhere, I literally have no choice.
>>
>>50728030
>Flowery language
You're a faggot
>>
>>50729511
>Flowery language
what.
>>
>>50728753
maybe at best some kind of lightning rod quality. though actually behirs are probably more non-conductive that conductive. maybe i could give resistance on passed dex saves against lightning attacks or something.
behir parts in and of themselves aren't amazingly special though, and i don't really subscribe to the idea that like "staff made of behir parts should give lightning breath" or something like that.
or howbout as a reaction, when you're dealt lightning damage, you take full damage, but you can arc half of the damage you take onto an enemy within X feet of you?
>>
>>50728047
>Port Marston Constabulary
>Carskan Territorial Authority
>The Sable Company
>Office of the Governor of Port Marston
>The eight primary magister houses
>The three primary organized crime syndicates
>The Church of the King of Life
>The Sikasa and Blacktusk tribes
>The White Serpent That Devours All Eyes
>The Nighthawk
>Red Crow assassins
>The Emperor of the Common Man

Major port town caught in the midst of a succession crisis and anarchy with an immortal quasi-elder god elf returning from death through his vessel of the Governess. It's kind of a glorious shitshow.
>>
>>50727485
Most fantastic bit of terrain I put my party through was a journey to a famous monastery, which required a trek through:

>A desert of mirror-sands, which reflect the light and heat so hard that the entire affair is as hot as an oven. There's also a few dragons posing as desert spirits that harass travelers for their wealth and wisdom.
>A ring-shaped lake of furious spirits, which boils in the morning and crashes down as a furious hail in the night
There was also the mountain of riddles and the problem of actually convincing the monks to give you the time of day, but those are more man-made issues.
>>
is there a list of all class abilities by level?
>>
>>50729511
>Flowery language
Literally what
>>
>>50729623

I don't think so that seems like a huge pain in the ass when you can just flip to the charts for each class in the PHB.
>>
>>50729749
yeah i was just curious if it existed.
>>
>>50727835
My group uses the long rest rules, so it basically happens anyway.
We may not spend a full 7 days, but for a long rest we'll need to spend at least 3 or 4, and we're not going to do that camping in the one spot (especially now winter has hit in our campaign).

I personally like it.
>>
After reading through the DMG I now dislike advantage/disadvantage a bit. Its useful but applies too broadly and since you can only get one it means that doing things like flanking and helping together are useless. How do I fix this? Do I make some effects numerical while others are advantage or just stack advantage?
>>
guys, rate me your best Magical Secrets bard spells, specifically for L10 Lore.

I'm at the end of my rope here, having circled Wall of Force, Bigby's Hand (adding Jack Of Trades and Luckstone, holy shit), Circle of Power and Fabricate
>>
So, the bestiary webapp by anon got a good response.

What other kinds of 5e utilities are in demand? I was thinking of making a character creation tool myself. Basically like the old Javascript DDNext Character Generator by Ed Friedlander but more compact, fast and usable.
>>
>>50730022
>Fabricate

Ah, to be a wizard. Fabricate is great for stronghold fuckery
>>
>>50727835
I had to do this with my group. The players are terrible with class mechanics and party building (why would we need a healer?) and combat in general, so no matter how much I use the kid gloves, they die and/or TPK frequently to the dumbest shit, but it's kinda ok because they want a social storytelling game anyways (but yet, they constantly pick easily avoidable fights against things they really shouldn't...)

They also have a terrible tenancy to completely bypass any and all plot hooks ("Why would we use the road that is faster, safer and passes through civilization hubs, when we could take a straight line through the nigh-impassible forest of assured doom?") so I twisted the world a bit to make the major factions act as restore points like an MMO. Die in the field? No problem! you reincarnate as a naked idiot at the last major plot hook!
>>
>>50730022
Telekinesis
>>
File: explosion.jpg (158KB, 1596x914px) Image search: [Google]
explosion.jpg
158KB, 1596x914px
>Arcana Cleric 1/Twilight Druid 18
>Magic missile as a domain spell
>cast it with a 9th-level spell slot
>blow all of Harvest's Scythe dice on it
>11 missiles dealing 1d4+1+9d10 apiece
>583 average damage, no attack roll or save
>>
>>50729942
double advantage; three rolls
>>
>>50729942

adv/disadv are there to provide mechanical benefits without bogging the game down in tons of +X and -X since that was an issue that 3.5 ran into. If you REALLY want to add more, I'd just say +5 for super advantage, -5 for super disadvantage on top of their normal effects.

>>50730022

I'd vote Wall of Force and Fabricate myself. Wall of Force is a control spell par excellence and you can really change a ton of encounters with it.
>>
>>50727626
Anon who made this, please make it open source so I can add some small improvements
>>
>>50730129
It's a single web page with all the CSS and XML data baked-in. Just open the file in a text editor.
>>
>>50729942
Flanking does not grant advantage.
>>
>>50730091

I had the biggest split between Bigby's hand and Telekinesis, but ultimately, I gave Bigby simply because it scales, and your checks with it have +11
>>
>>50729942
Don't allow advantage stacking but do apply circumstantial bonuses of +2-5 ([dis]advantage is considered to by the devs to have a numerical strength of 5, even though it works out slightly different mathematically).

The goal here should be for player actions which come at the expense of anything else useful they could be doing to increase the success of another player, not for two characters to increase their own succeses and passively improve each others' at the same time.

>Fighter knocks an enemy to the ground and grapples them there
>Shadow Monk uses Shadow Step, which grants them advantage on an attack
>enemy already grants advantage for being prone
This is not good and doesn't deserve stacking or circumstantial bonuses because the Fighter didn't use his action to do essentially nothing--he proned and grappled an enemy. It's a different situation entirely if the enemy is already prone and grappled by the Fighter, and he uses a full turn action to move the enemy into a more vulnerable position for the Monk, exposing some critical gap in his armor.

One way to simplify this is to say only stuff like the Help action provokes this (but don't let familiars do it because this is too cheesey) or you need like 3-4 fucking advantages stacked before anything happens.

As for flanking, positional combat isn't really a thing in 5E. You might use this when dealing with very large creatures that need to take time to turn around, but a Medium-sized creature is like two feet wide in a five foot square and can spin around and defend blows from all sorts of angles. Martial arts movie rules apply, and "attacking at the same time from different directions" means one assailant is taking Help.

There are other things you can do with circumstantial modifiers in combat, like altering a creature's initiative or forcing them to spend their turn suboptimally (something with two attacks only makes one because they're so disoriented from a three-pronged drubbing).
>>
>>50729942
Getting that granular really doesn't matter. We're trying to handwave the stuff that isn't actually vital so we can get to the telling a collaborative story bit. D&D was never a simulation anyway.

But maybe if someone is helping someone else in a very descriptive way, you can add an appropriate bonus effect. For example, if a character is hoisting another up so they get a hit on the ogre's head, they can do an additional die of damage. Or if they're pulling on the enemy's cape then if the helped attack hits then the next attack can also have advantage
>>
>>50730138
I know it is, I'm reading the source right now. He still has copyright, and I can't edit and republish it without a license that permits it.

Readable source != open source
>>
File: Pg 251 of DMG.png (322KB, 371x528px) Image search: [Google]
Pg 251 of DMG.png
322KB, 371x528px
>>50730143
So are all creatures just omnidirectional and capable of fending off two attackers on opposite sides at once?
>>
>>50727485
>>>50728575

>Why is the captcha all about Sushi all of a sudden? Has it learned to identify street signs with unerring accuracy? ARE THE ROBOTS LEARNING?

I had a coffee one yesterday.
Are our store fronts no longee safe?
>>
>>50730169
Imposing various conditions (blinding, knocking prone without contested rolls) and boosting damage die >>50730175 are also options.

Think of what effect this would have on creatures if there were no rules to D&D and it was a purely freeform RP thing, then translate those back into 5E. Just remember that lots of +/- modifiers isn't the goal.
>>
>>50727578
Why does it need chains?
>>
>>50729557
>>50729675

I've fucked up the quote

>>50728022
>>
>>50730241
Because the earth moves below it and wind resistance would slow it gradually, necessitating extra expenditure of magical power to keep up. Chains keep it nice and steady, and one needn't worry about the extra mass causing an increase in magic usage because the floatation effect is passively granted by permanently anti-grav materials within the mountain.

Plus it looks badass when the Head Wizard presses the CAST OFF orb and all the chains go flying with a woosh of magical shit that looks like steam OH SHIT CHAIN #4 ISN'T SEVERING, WE NEED A TEAM DOWN THERE STAT, GO GO GO ADVENTURERS WE'RE ALL FUCKED IF WE STAY HERE
>>
>>50730199
>optional rule
>>
>>50730120
I'm not sure.

Twilight adds to the damage, but not the 'damage roll'.
Tranquility and evocation wizard adds specifically to the damage roll.

Twilight has a chance of not working, but I'm not actually sure.
>>
>>50729942
The only workable way I know is to make it so after advantage and disadvantage cancel each other out, you can still get advantage or disadvantage.

To define it as clearly as possible.

Advantage=1, and disadvantage=-1.

Sum up all the advantages and disadvantages on a roll. If the result is positive, roll 2 dice and take your choice of the results. If the result is 0, roll once and use the result. If the result is negative, roll twice and your dm chooses the result.

Obviously if the dm is rolling, he chooses wth advantage and the players choose with disadvantage.
>>
>>50730175
Sadly the collaborative story is really boring whenever combat happens. Sad!
>>
>>50730302
You imply that changes the issue.
>>
what a day
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1280x720px
Hey all, I'm thinking of rolling a kind of Dungeon Meshi / Monster Hunter character for a campaign coming up. Essentially he's a guy who enjoys cooking and hunting monsters to cook.

I was thinking Revised Ranger makes the most sense for a kind of specialized Hunter. Fighter's Arcane Marksman seems fun too, so I was wondering if Fighter 3 (Arcane Marksman) / Ranger X would be viable, or if I should stick solid Ranger. Or if there are any better ideas.

I want to play a kind of stocky, jovial guy who enjoys cooking and hunting for new flavor. I don't have to be a super optimized hunk for taking down dragons.

Race is gonna be Variant Human with Gourmand feat.
>>
>>50730348
Hello, "That guy"
Just wanted to let you know that YOU are the reason people hate your games.
>>
>>50730432
You gonna need some charisma to cook that shit.
>>
>>50730302
All rules are optional, mate. He's asking if in YOUR game all creatures are whirling dervishes of constant 360 degree perfect attacks.
>>
Which setting has the eladrin that can fey step?
>>
>>50730466
4e.
>>
File: IMG_4302.png (186KB, 285x336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4302.png
186KB, 285x336px
>>50730348
When something in the official books say "Optional Rule," it means that it is not assumed by default that the DM will allow it. It means that the DM can choose to use it, out of the normal way he would do it. Besides, don't you think flanking is a little OP in 5e? Wouldn't it be better to do it like other editions where you get an extra +2 on attack rolls?
>>
Is there any spell or class feature that allows one to remove the stunned condition? Failing to Divine Word and getting stunned for 1 hour sounds like no fun.
>>
>>50730454
Good deflection on both counts. Neither answering how to get around the advantage problem or explaining why flanking is such an abhorrent thing but immediately going for ad hominem.
>>50730482
It probably is but i've never used it. Part of the reason why I specifically included that bit in the question is to get some criticism on it. I, personally, would only use it on large or larger creatures who have orient themselves about but i'm also on the fence of including facing arcs with AC malus on the backside for some things.
>>
>>50730489
Power Word Heal (8th level)
>>
File: power of god.png (91KB, 400x287px) Image search: [Google]
power of god.png
91KB, 400x287px
>>50730120
Going further

Arcana Cleric 1/Twilight Druid 17/Fighter 2, with a Grave Cleric buddy.

Grave Cleric makes a creature vulnerable to force damage with their Channel Divinity.

Cast magic missile as a 9th-level spell spending half your Harvest's Scythe dice on it, then Action Surge to cast it again as an 8th-level spell, spending the other half.

That's 1d4+1+8d10x11x2 + 1d4+1+8d10x10, or 1520 average damage, no save or attack required.
>>
>>50729511
Hey bud, I apologize that my players enjoy descriptions of what's going on instead of just "you hit, roll damage." Maybe I should go to AL where fun is discouraged :^)
>>
>>50730458

Will I? I'll have to admit, food has never played a central part in any campaign I've been in before so I didn't know if it was related to a skill (I know Cook's Utensils are an artisan tool) or something that just could happen over a rest period.
>>
File: gimme the buffs you little shit.jpg (140KB, 856x933px) Image search: [Google]
gimme the buffs you little shit.jpg
140KB, 856x933px
POST YOUR PARTIES' FAVORITE DUAL(+) TECHS, /5eg/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs3jiU63X4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39hiAtCCF3g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGprNddeo2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GkoYZwuNLM
>>
>>50727708
The Faewild are a cross between rapture and commoragh from 40k.
>>
File: 1292704891564.png (817KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1292704891564.png
817KB, 720x540px
I'm a level 7 Wizard with like 1500g to spend, what's the best way to spend it?

I've never played a Wizard before
>>
>>50730663
do you have all the spells you want?
30 potions of healing for the frontliners
>>
>>50730573
Not possible in 5e RAW, and suboptimal RAW.

Now, 4e on the other hand.
>>
>>50730663
Bag o holding is always a good choice.
>>
>>50730677
>he doesn't run his 5E games on Pokemon Logic
>>
>>50730663
build a tower for your magic nerd shit
>>
File: 1470812624224.png (42KB, 1204x239px) Image search: [Google]
1470812624224.png
42KB, 1204x239px
>>50730511
This is literally why DMs wield supreme executive power. It's a game played between humans, and to keep the game moving at anything but a glacial pace, concessions for brevity must be made. If it makes sense, then go for it. If not, ignore it.

Sure, you could spend thirty minutes per action consulting tables and rolling dice to see if your hand is sweaty, if that is significant enough to impact your grip on the weapon, if that then changes the angle of attack, if that angle hits armor, if that hit pierces armor, if that attack hits a vital, what rate of blood loss that attack will cause, if the attacked creature goes into shock. It would take literal months to make this system anywhere near balanced and a combat round would eat an entire gaming session.

This comes on top of the increased logistical load of tracking everyone's exact positioning, their facing, if changing facing requires expending movement, if you can change facing as part of a reaction (does changing facing as a reaction negate flank bonuses? does a reaction attack with a move component come with a to-hit penalty? are there additional checks to be made?)

It's like elementary school mathematics busywork. It's monotonous. It's mostly useless, and most importantly It's not FUN. Players like DOING things. They like having an impact on the world. Spending five minutes making rolls to set up a single flanking strike from stealth is not exciting. It's drudgery that everyone else at the table has to sit through.
>>
>>50730663
Take your entire party out and spend it all on hookers and blow.
>>
>>50730573
>Druid Turns into Bear
>Barbarian Throws Bear at Flying Enemies
Bear-a-pult

>Druid Turns into Stag
>Monk suplexes enemy onto antlers
Never got to try that one, my druid died before we got a chance

Druids are notoriously good for this kind of thing.
>>
>>50730663
If your party hasn't been pooling its resources (both monetary and proficiency) into constructing a double-wide, covered Doom Wagon drawn by two fantastical creatures with a mounted harpoon launcher, anti-cavalry caltrop dispenser, and optional flight/floatation mechanisms, you're adventuring wrong.
>>
>>50730524
Well, shit. Then it's actually better to be killed instantly (when you can be revived shortly after). I thought maybe something like greater restoration would work.
>>
>>50730573
>>50730794
>Druid turns into Giant Eagle
>Druid carries the fighter/barb and throws him at flying enemy 100ft in the air
>Fighter/barb survives the fall with 5 HP because of rage
>>
>>50730853
The weird thing is, greater restoration specifies it can end charm or petrification. I don't see why if it ends petrification it couldn't also end stun.
>>
>>50730529
I'm trying to work out if this'll work.

If fire sorcerer adds +CHA do the damage of fireball to ALL targets and not just one target, I suppose it must work.

The best thing is this method doesn't actually need magic wands.
>>
>>50730529
So you have autism. Ok.
>>
>>50730899
Stunned isn't necessarily the result of magic or some kind of invasive agent (like poison or disease). It's just your brain being 60% off for a bit. If Greater Restoration doesn't wake you up from a nap...
>>
>>50730792
Do this, this is what my players have been doing and it's fucking rad. Assuming you have 4 party members, that's 187 days of straight partying until you run out of money. Just have them roll weekly or biweekly
>>
>>50730529

AAAnndd... Brooch of Shielding.
>>
>>50730902
>to ALL targets and not just one target
It's added to the damage roll. Fireball uses one damage roll for all targets
>>
>DMing a game around level 3~
>other friend wants to join as a Lawful Evil Dragonborn Sorcerer
>let him stat out and build his shit and whatnot
>just picks fucking defensive spells and Catapult
>sure why not
>joins the game with the other 4 players
>3 of them are off somewhere
>the one Paladin runs into him at some point during the duration of the session
>Dragonborn gets aggressive and hostile on him rather quick
>Paladin finds the need to smite him on the spot
>expect a big fucking PC throw down
>the fight is literally this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY&t=3m20s

Have any stupidely goofy fights in your campaigns recently, /5eg/?
>>
>>50730899
>>50730947
Then there's no way to get rid of it? Damn, I wanted to throw a Yuan-ti Anathema at my players, now I'm not so sure I should...
>>
File: 1476420346434.png (691KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1476420346434.png
691KB, 1600x900px
>>50730950
Why stop with just the party members? Why not build a badass vehicle and bring the hookers along? Fuckin PARTYBUS fused with a BATTLEBUS! Best idea ever.

Or, take that 187 days and compress it into one solid week where the entire damn town is a huge pit of debauchery to the point where even the gods take note and intervene.
>>
>>50730962
It doesn't specifically say 'damage roll' like some other features (Say, evocation wizard's), just 'damage'. Which suggests that it could have been added at the end of damage as a bonus. I assume it's probably like that, but I can't find any sage advice or anything that says so.
>>
>>50731047
This is why dnd economics are fucked up. One good adventure and you can pay for hookers to invade the small town your character grew up in.
>>
>>50731080
>walk into a city
>everyone's poor
>give a gold piece to anyone we talk to
>town heroes overnight
See, bribing muckety-mucks like nobles and knights, town guards with access to evidence chests or the ability to fine townsfolk, or tavern owners who deal with adventurers all the time is the wrong way to go about things. You find some fucking peasants and drop half a year's earnings into their hand (2-3 coins you fished out of a goblin's g-string) and you'll get whatever the fuck you want.

2gp is supposed to be a "comfortable" per day lifestyle for an adventurer? Nah. I'm going to the nearest farm and telling Farmer Brown I'll give him 5gp if I can sleep in his bed for a week and have breakfast brought to me every morning. His wife will brush my hair and scrub my armor and the kids will bring freshly-squeezed orange juice whenever I ring a little bell. Now that's "comfortable". Just turn the peasantfolk into your own B&B.
>>
File: Elementals.jpg (101KB, 688x497px) Image search: [Google]
Elementals.jpg
101KB, 688x497px
It is that time of the week again. ELEMENTALPOSTING.

Stat out and theorycraft different kinds of elements. Dust Elementals. Time Elementals. Electric Elementals.

Let's try a Law Elemental today.
>>
has anyone used the eberron UA action points?
>>
What would you guys recommend for a person wanting to try out D&D? Editions, guides, etc.
>>
>>50731306
This is the 5e thread so... 5e.

Player's handbook.

Have fun.
>>
>>50731306
Definetly 4e.
>>
>>50731306
Lost Mines of Phandelver module is great for those new to D&D. It walks the DM through and gives the players a decent storyline. It's a bit dangerous early on as that's normal for D&D.
>>
>>50731306
5e starter set contains rules, a set of dice, and an adventure
>>
>>50731364
Thanks. Do you know any websites or forums that might be of use?
>>
>>50728469
Don't forget about tempest clerics
Also, has anyone tried a maritime-specialized ranger?
>>
>>50731282
Law elementals change the rules. When facing one, every turn, roll on a table. The random table is full of DMs guide unique rules or homebrew rules, such as speed factor initiative. You can even include rules from other RPGs.

Whenever a rule is rolled, it becomes the game rule until the law elemental is killed or the law elemental repeals it's laws.
>>
>>50731468
>roll on a table. The random table
>random
REEEE
>>
>>50731481
I don't get it.
>>
hey all, first time posting here, but I am starting a campaign with some friends. it will start us out at level 8 I was wanting to go Rogue with some fighter levels. is having 5 levels in Fighter then rest with Rogue good? I'll be dual wielding as rogue and I thought having extra attack would be pretty sweet, but I know I would miss some end cap stuff. Is this a viable build or am I stretching into fighter too far?
>>
>>50731488
>law elemental
>random
If you're changing rules go through them in sequence by a number based on how many elementals there are.
>>
>>50731488
randomness is CHAOSH
>>
File: 12324454354.png (167KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
12324454354.png
167KB, 500x281px
>>50727626
It's beyouuuuuuutifuuul
>>
>>50731468
>within 15' feet, use the average result instead of rolling any dice
>>
>>50731442
Don't go on the wiki, don't know what else to recommend though.
>>
File: Hokuto_Hundred_Crack_Fist.gif (747KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
Hokuto_Hundred_Crack_Fist.gif
747KB, 500x276px
Teegee, how would you guys write out an ability that allows a monk to use their reaction on an ally's failed death saving throw to play out that ally's turn using their stats, abilities and resources?
>>
>>50731442
It seems that 5e doesnt have a large a database online as say, Pathfinder does. Coming from pathfinder to 5e is very jarring for me
>>
>>50731645
I wouldn't
>>
>>50731645
>to play out that ally's turn using their stats, abilities and resources?
wtf does this even mean
you mean
>when an ally within x feet fails a death saving throw, you may use your reaction to take on the stats and abilities of that creature, and take a turn during their turn with an action, bonus action and reaction
or you mean you can roll another death save for them?
>>
File: 1378536726453.gif (2MB, 250x380px) Image search: [Google]
1378536726453.gif
2MB, 250x380px
>>50727626
>https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/157339657594601472/259092718385364992/bestiary.html

BRUH WHY IS THIS NOT IN THE OP?
>>
>>50731546
>>50731542
Clearly you've never seen any form of modern legislature.
>>
>>50731560
This. For everything except d20s.
>>
We're playing a Campaign with plane travel and we are frequently ambushed by extra-planar assassins.

Does this make Banishment an even better spell and a must-pick for us? I already liked it for the Charisma saving throw
I'm just worried I'm taking too many concentration spells (Hypnotic Pattern, Banishment, Polymorph for example)

These assassins sometimes spawn in the middle of a fight, the DM set some specific triggers to roll the dice and it happens all the fucking time.
>>
File: Martial Powers.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Martial Powers.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Should I use these in my soon to be campaign?
>>
>>50731806
including d20s

Or: take 10 + modifiers for the d20, then roll 1d4. On a 1 or 2, minus 1 or 2 from the result. On a 3 or 4, add 1 or 2 to the result. End up with a spread of [avg-2,avg+2].
>>
>>50731468
I agree with >>50731481

If you want to make a Law elemental dangerous, you should have it so they can change the laws as a bonus action and choose them as they want. So if you're outnumbered by Law elementals, they may implement flanking rules. Or if they see you're carrying a lot of stuff, they'll impose encumberance to slow you down.
>>
>>50731282
Each d20 roll (attack, save, check, etc) that the Law Elemental rolls follows a pattern.
>20, 1, 19, 2, 18, etc.
The PCs have to figure out where it is in the pattern.
>>
>50731709
That'she because your no fun.

>>50731712
The former. Basically giving up your reaction and some ki to allow a dying ally to participate in the combat using your body as a vessel.
>>
>>50731891
imo, just let players do stuff like that when they want to
maybe show them some of those as examples of things you'd be willing to allow
it seems video game-y to me though
>>
Hey guys, want to play a kind of artificer character, any suggestions on what classes to choose? Specifically weapon enchanting and potion making, with some spells to help a party.
>>
>>50731990
peep the eberron ua, there is a (mostly derided) artificer wizard school.
its not really that good, but its the only thing wizards has put out for 5e so far.
>>
>>50731987
It does but it also gives a bit of utility to martials, i'm just trying to figure out how to fluff some of them.
I mean, by level 9 monks can run on water so there's a clear precedent for superheroic shit by that level.
>>
>>50731990
UA Artificer Wizard + UA Forge Domain Priest
>>
File: kirathumb2.png (188KB, 338x373px) Image search: [Google]
kirathumb2.png
188KB, 338x373px
>>50731948
I fucking like this.
>>
>>50732053
The artificer wizard is really strong, mechanically. It's just not what people want in an artificer.

It's a wizard that can heal through potions, blow their short rest spell recovery in the form of premade scrolls, and have buff effects not require concentration because they're in potion form. They can also do long-term numerical buffs on other people's equipment and make free magic items.
>>
>>50732134
I actually like it. It's the closet we'll get to 3.5e god wizard. Other wizard can't change spell mid-day.
>>
File: thankong.png (7KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
thankong.png
7KB, 112x112px
My other DM friend is telling me that a Cleric can choose any domain spell from any domain and can switch between them.

I thought Clerics have to choose a single domain?
>>
>>50732293
Of course they do. That's level 1 shit.
>>
>>50732293
Tell him to read the PHB.

Divine Domain said choose one domain. No mentioned about switching what soever
>>
>>50732293
Clerics choose 1 single domain of their own. That said, they can prepare any other cleric spells outside of their domain.
>>
>>50732293

Yes. A cleric can choose any domain spell, by choosing that domain, and a cleric can switch between Domain spells, and Cleric spells.
A cleric may even switch Domains, but that's kind of like, how a character can even switch race. Usually involves something like dying and getting a god or a druid to reincarnate it into a different body
>>
>>50731891
This is maybe the sloppiest attempt to bringing Martial Practices to 5E that I've ever seen. Jesus.
>>
>>50731891

reads like something mearls would write out of spite
>>
>>50732553
Any better systems or changes to suggest? I'm not the creator but i'd like to see martials get to do a touch more without relying on a spellcaster.
>>
>>50730432
> real gourmet
> doesn't take magic initiate prestidigitation
>>
File: chrono.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
chrono.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50731282
I want to improve this one to showcase its powers easier.

No more random amount of slams, it takes too long to sort out. So three slams each multiattack.

Make the daily steal time ability repeatable. One theft attempt per multiattack.

Thoughts?
>>
Can a paladin be tricked into breaking their oath?
>>
>>50731645
It's called 'animate dead'.
>>
>>50732720
Goddamnit I misread that as tickled. Now i`m disappointed.
>>
>>50732720
not really no, it has to be an intentional choice on their part.
>>
>>50732702
>Anon wants to make a Monster Hunter and Chef

>You should take prestidigitation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluHwh3hJhI
>>
>>50731980
>The former. Basically giving up your reaction and some ki to allow a dying ally to participate in the combat using your body as a vessel.
well, basically start with what i said, and figure out a good way to say something about using their abilities. maybe look at clone or something else that copies abilities.
>>
>>50732720
Like alignment changes, the triggering action must be: wilful, known, and removed from later consequences (in other words, only the Paladin's actions matter, not the actions of some creature he helps or enables somehow).

You could trick an Ancients Paladin into pressing a button that opens a cage full of fire elementals who then go melt a forest and a town, but that's not going to get him smacked for oathbreaking.
>>
>>50727485
Everything in its place, OP. If something needs to be fantastic, make it so. If something needs to be mundane, make it so.

The setpiece being fantastic or mundane doesn't matter; what matters is if the setpiece is seen as fantastic or mundane.
>>
>>50732134
All of that is heavily reliant on downtime, which makes their theoretical power high, but puts their play power in flux next to, say, a Diviner or Bladesinger.
>>
>>50732720
You can only truly break an already broken paladin, who has already been made to go through so much that they've given up hope.
Before that, their resolve will pull them to strive harder to avoid the same mistakes, and the best tricking them will do is beat down their resolve.
>>
>>50730663
if your GM is permitting buying of magic items, there are a f

Scrolls of Counterspell. It's a spell you NEVER want to run out of and costing at most 250gp each. You can also bully other players into chipping in for these "Hey, remember that fireball that we didn't get hit by when you two were on low health? Because I do."

If your Con is low, the item that gives 19CON is just basically free HP.

Wand of Fireballs/Lightning bolts will add retarded amounts of offense but is in the 500-5,000 price region.

Gloves of missile snaring are suprisingly often great defensive items for a Caster.

Pearl of Power is an extra spell slot, while you're still using your level 2-3 spells actively it can be pretty good, plus once you level up a bit more it is very welcome to be handed down to Half or Thirdcasters who are just now getting 3rd level slots.

Defenders Staff from Phandelver is great, mage armour and 4 shields a day with +1AC, or even the Bracers of +AC to raise defenses. Both are in the 500-5000 range though.

On that topic, Scrolls of Shield and Absorb Elements cost a meagre 10-50 gold a piece and honestly can save your life.
>>
>>50727776
Aboleths are excellent antagonists
>>
>>50728177
That's a cool idea, and definitely worth at least trying. The only real problem I could imagine would be with regards to memory issues with large groups of enemies. But since they tend to be mostly monotonous when they're en masse like that, it might not be a big deal.
>>
>>50732713
My suggestions would be:

>Multiattack. The chronamental makes three slam attacks. It can use Steal Time or Displace in place of two slam attacks.

Steal Time (Recharge 6). It targets one creature within 30ft of it, who must make a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw against this magic. On a failed save, a target can't use reactions, its speed is halved, and it can't make more than one attack on its turn. In addition, the target can take either an action or a bonus action on its turn, not both. Additionally, the chronamental gains a +2 bonus to AC, advantage on Dexterity saving throws, and can use its slam attack as a bonus action. These effects last for 1 minute. A target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Displace (Recharge 6). Make it a Charisma saving throw, the rest is fine.

These changes would probably increase its CR to 9 at the very least, which is good because then DC 16 makes sense for the math.
>>
>>50731645
"When a friendly creature within 60ft of you fails a death saving throw, you can use your reaction and spend X ki points to momentarily draw their spirit and essence into your body and allow them to briefly possess you. That creature then can immediately take their turn in combat using its own abilities and class features, with you as a vessel. At the end of its turn, its spirit is shunted back to its body."

It actually sounds like a very interesting feature. I might make an NPC that can use this at some point and surprise the party with it. Like they're in the middle of an escort mission and their escort suddenly is possessed by the dying PC.
>>
>>50733457
>look, this dumb idiot just got himself killed
>better let him use my worse-statted body and hope he doesn't do something retarded again
>>
>>50732720

Depends on the type of paladin and the type of oath

Sometimes he breaks the oath if he thinks he's breaking the oath even if he isn't, for example, if a devotion paladin to the goddess of knowledge burns down a library to kill some goblins, even if it turns out the goblins had already shat up all of the paper and ate leather bindings within years ago.
>>
>>50732978
>Scrolls of Counterspell

pretty sure you can't read a magical scroll as a reaction
>>
>>50731645
When nearby friendly creature fails their death save spend gain a benefit equal to their total level to all rolls. This benefit lasts equal to 1 round for x ki points.
>>
If one is statting a a DMPC to be an opponent/end boss of a dungeon for the party, what is the general guideline for levels if their is one? Should I make them level 4 for 4 lvl 1 PCs or what? I understand there are a shit ton of variables but is there any sort of guide to follow?
>>
>>50733709
You can make a creature level 1 or 20 if you want but they're still going to be trash as a boss unless they have oodles of legendary actions and legendary resistance, the latter of which is gay as fuck.

Multiple initiatives with weaker actions overall. Boom.
>>
>>50733765
I understand that action economy puts single bosses on the bad end of the shit stick but is there a way to do it without dumping shit loads of magic items on them or does the big bad, even a lower end one for a bunch of, like, level 4 PCs have to be rich as fuck to not be outclassed?
>>
>>50733709

Well, that depends really.

If you're running a party of level 1's versus a caster with level 4, shit is going to hit the fan quick if the guy can lets out a scorching ray.

Your fighter will have 1d10+con life points, for say, an average of 13, but the spell can cause up to 6d6 fire damage, for an average of 21 points of fire damage

Might as well have been two power words: kill for all the difference it makes at this level.
>>
>>50733797
Give the boss whatever abilities you want it to have. Don't worry about class levels or race or magic items, just worry about how the offense and defense comes out in the end for the CR you want.
>>
>>50733799
Yeah, part of the reason I was asking for general guidelines because i'm sure it would break it down between martials, half-casters, and full casters.
>>
>>50733797
You can set an enemy to have whatever arbitrary statistics you desire. Just because you have a guy with 21 AC doesn't mean he has to show up in (+1) fullplate or have some magical shield on him.
>>
>>50733817

well, *must* it be a pc? You can always just reskin barovian witches and goblins, and give it pc abilities and whatever infinite life points it requires until you fullfill 3 rounds
>>
How much gold should it cost to appease the Zhentarim if you killed one of their men?
>>
>>50733892
They will not be bribed
>>
>>50733892
The Zhentarim should be trying to give YOU money.
They exist to spread their power network, and the chief means by which they do this is through hiring out mercenaries (and using said mercs to run protection rackets).
They insist on hiring only the best. Since you killed one of their guys, he must have been shit, and you've done them a huge favor by removing that gold sponge from their payroll.
Now there's a job opening.
>>
File: cassini_climate.png (79KB, 504x253px) Image search: [Google]
cassini_climate.png
79KB, 504x253px
>>50733853
That would probably work, is there any monster lists arranged by CR instead of alphabetically? I was already planning on just taking some random monster images off the net for "not!cthulhu/insmouth" part of the world then assigning statblocks as I felt.
Using pic related not!australia for it. Still need to make africa not immediately make this shit identifiable.
>>
>>50733892

With a good DM? Something between a metric crapload and no amount of gold being enough

See, a gang leader knows that he only stays in charge while he can be in charge. There's an "understanding", and the zenth capitalize on this "family" bullshit

If you buy one out, whatever rival the kingpin has within the organizations goes to every other guy under that mob boss suddenly goes "woah, you know, your ass wouldn't be worth just a bag of coins to *me*" and there's a coup within the hour

What you have to sacrifice isn't money, but either subservience or a "cost of doing business" deal

Or else just TERMINATUS that zenth cell
>>
File: festivedaiya.png (157KB, 385x415px) Image search: [Google]
festivedaiya.png
157KB, 385x415px
I'm making a cultist encounter for my session later tonight. However, I don't just want them to fight generic cultist spell chuckers.

What are some interesting spell combinations to give some religious freaks? Time-based cultists? Lots of hex-like abilities with low damage potential? Powers based on elements?

What are some of your ideas?
>>
>>50733955
Have them run away and try to summon things in the way a lot instead. Things that will also attack the cultists, too.

Tactics of 'Okay, we're not properly armed to fight a war here, but we can summon a load of stuff that's going to wreck everybody's shit'.
Lots of various double-edged sword stuff. Even have a suicide bomber cultist.
>>
>>50733955
What is their cult anon?
>>
>>50732791
Uh... Can flavor non living material... Duh
>>
>>50733986
They worship a god of death that promises to revive dead loved ones if they feed it pure souls.
>>
>>50733927
>>50733932
>>50733954
Okay, thanks for the input. I'm DMing Storm King's Thunder and this is the first time I've played a campaign in the Forgotten Realms. I was reading some Adventurer's League pdf about the factions and it said a Zhentarim ideal is that "Everything - and everybody - has a price" so I figured they might be big on extortion.
Are there any stories or resources I should use on getting to know some of the essential details about Faerun?
>>
File: Inqusitor.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Inqusitor.pdf
1B, 486x500px
What do you guys think of this Paladin Oath?
>>
>>50734006
What kind of souls? Cause I'll send it as many chickens as it needs so I can get my dog back. Even if it's just long enough to say goodbye. I miss you Cassie.
>>
>>50733955
Four cultists stay out of the fight and channel a ritual together. Two robed casters seem to be doing all the work, while a beefy third stands in place and drinks from a chalice, and a fourth stands guard with a shield.

After X turns (or whenever it's thematically appropriate), the two channeling cultists MURDER the third by plunging their ritual daggers into his chest, and he is subsumed by roiling [type] energy and transformed into a hulking [elemental/demon/lizardguy/aberrantabomination] who fights on the cultists' side.

The other cultists try to keep the party away from this ritual. If the PCs are oblivious, one of them might yell something to that effect ("keep them away from the yadayada" or "protect the sacrifice"); they interpose themselves between the group in a way that isn't clearly a guarding formation, but does make it difficult for the party to make an end run straight for the guy.

Shieldcultist over in the ritual group will provide heavy cover from ranged and applicable spell attacks. Being a crazy cultist, he is 100% cool with dying if it means the sacrifice lives long enough to complete the ritual, and will gladly take arrows with his chest if his shield isn't enough.

If the sacrifice is attacked, he makes no effort to defend himself. He is completely insensate and gyrating due to the intoxicating effects of the strange brew he consumed. His death at the hands of the PCs interrupts the ritual and the channeling cultists immediately attack the responsible character. He has low AC, high HP, and attacks against him are not auto-crits despite his seeming incapacitation.
>>
>>50734076
>Are there any stories or resources I should use on getting to know some of the essential details about Faerun?

The book called "The Adventurer's Guide to the Sword Coast"

That's it.

The Zenth are basically the Mob, so you can run it like any mob you'd like. Just, know that they wouldn't cash in for something as mundane as a pile of cash. They already have that.

But they'll be amicable to a sufficiently dangerous, adequately regrettable, morally questionable quest
>>
>>50734006
Does the death god deliver? Does he offer powers to his worshippers? Or is the cult leader a charlatan?
>>
>>50727776
Do this one
>>50733022
>>
File: Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg (49KB, 430x591px) Image search: [Google]
Fafhrd Grey Mouser.jpg
49KB, 430x591px
>>50728047
Warlocks of Quarmall
The Jugumines
The Simorgyans
The royal family of Tisinilit
The Noble Karyatids
The Earth Mystics of Klesh
The Overlord of Tovilyis and his court
>>
>>50734088
Could be worse.
Not gonna break anything to play, though it could've been written in better terms.
I think one of their channel divinities should be a turn/fear effect though, since literally all of the paladins get one turn/fear and then something else.
>>
Is tough ever really worth taking?

Asking because I'm going to be playing a Human, and my GM uses human variant for all humans.

I'm going Bladesinger (no, it's not restricted to elves) and I figure Tough as my free feat would alleviate the worst part about bladesinger: the HP

We take avg for HP so with tough I'd be getting 8 HP per level, really not bad. Couple that with 18 AC and +5 from Shield and I'm kinda a monster.

If not tough what should I take instead? Warcaster will do me no good as I will never have both hands full, bladesong gives me adv on concentration already. The opp attack spell is nice but franky I'll have alot of shit to do with my reaction.

Resilient CON is an option too; I could maybe get 16 con at start with it though frankly I don't want to be 8/16/16/16/8/8, the character isn't deficient in STR or CHA at all.

Then obviously theres stuff like Lucky, Alert etc but those are good for anyone.
>>
>>50734143

And even after they do'em the favor, there's always the possibility of it coming to bite them back in the ass with a "boy, it sure would be terrible if that nice and respectable bishop you are working for there suddenly knew about your little dallyings in the puppy orphanage of Phlan, now would it?"
>>
>>50734165
>Is tough ever really worth taking?

As a bugbear bear barbarian, I'd say yeah, since for practical effects, its benefits are doubled for you
>>
File: 9626-200.png (4KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
9626-200.png
4KB, 200x200px
>>50734149
The death god somewhat delivers. Usually he does it with a catch to keep them giving him souls indefinitely.

The BBEG, for example, is a Death Knight. He was a Paladin who fell because his wife and daughter died when he was defending his city from an attack. He has been collecting souls for him in the promise of bringing them back.

Eventually, the death god did bring them back for him. However, he brought them back as restless spirits that haunt him every waking moment he is not actively serving the god.

It is a case by case basis, so perhaps in some instances he does bring them back for small time cultists. The more useful they are to him, the more likely he will twist it to keep them around.
>>
>>50734165
>If not tough what should I take instead?

Resilient (Con)

It's a bonus to another Stat, which you can pick 13 on your standard array so it can turn even, and your concentration checks will have that nice proficency bonus
>>
File: did we do it right.jpg (546KB, 827x1102px) Image search: [Google]
did we do it right.jpg
546KB, 827x1102px
>>50733955
>>50734118
The ritual can also be interrupted by killing BOTH channeling cultists, who are only getting light cover against ranged attacks from guardcultist. They have low AC and low HP, and thus are easier targets. They also do not defend themselves. However, both cultists must be killed; if only one drops, the other will attempt to hastily finish the ritual.

This botched ritual still results in the death of the sacrifice and his subsequent transformation, but the resulting creature is not under the cult's control. It is malformed and berserk, and immediately kills the remaining channeler. Compared to the successful ritual creature, the berserk creature has better offenses and lower defenses, but it is single-minded and will only ever attack the nearest creature--cultist or PC. The cultists recognize this and will attempt to put the party between themselves and the rampaging behemoth.

The cultists will fight to the death as long as the ritual is ongoing or successful and the creature it summons is still alive. If the ritual fails, regardless of whether it is due to the death of the sacrifice, the channelers, or the ritual is botched, a few of them may opt to flee. The cult's suicidal bravery lasts only so long as they believe the ritual creature can grant them total victory.
>>
>>50734165
There are times when tough is a good idea.
>>
File: Crota.jpg (96KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Crota.jpg
96KB, 600x600px
I am looking for a comprehensive list of all the different character options that are currently available in 5e such as classes, class options, races, backgrounds, and so forth. I remember there being a pdf of a list like this a few threads back but I can't find it. Any of you guys have it?
>>
>>50734191
That cult would have retention issues. The death god should read ayn rand on socialism and learn that rewarding the weak and punishing the mighty is not sustainable.
>>
>>50734272
Most recent I got.
>>
>>50734338
Thanks friendo
>>
>>50728568
They don't mean "all" creativity.
They mean a more bounded creativity - like they can't make new spells, invent things, or come up with new words for things.
They can use what they've already learned to survive and do things.
>>
Why are the DMG firearms so bland? They're just souped up crossbows.
>>
>>50734460
Oh no not this shit again

>2d12 piercing over a 30ft cone but it takes three turns to reload :DDDD
>>
File: good bukahatsu.png (4KB, 391x67px) Image search: [Google]
good bukahatsu.png
4KB, 391x67px
>>50730316
>>
>>50734460
5e has awkwardly oversimplified mechanics when it comes to armour compared to back when there was touch AC, flat-foot AC and the like.

Giving it an odd loading system would be boring. Say, you'd either spend half your rounds loading and doing nothing or you'd just have fifty muskets on your back.

Making it straight-up better than crossbows obsoletes things.

Really, old firearms aren't suited for a 5e combat type thing. Have them as one-shot-per-battle type weapons and use explosives and such. You need a large scale operation to keep people from charging you while you're loading your guns.
>>
>>50734511
That's exactly what I said.
It says you increase damage, not the damage roll.

I can believe they could be the same thing and chucklefucks are doing poor wording in 5e again, but I'd like to find the sage advice.
>>
>>50734528
I've considered giving them a thresholded bonus- Something like if the target has Medium or lighter armor it gets +Something to hit.
>>
>>50730529
Shit like this is why most NPC wizards know shield.
>>
>>50734553
You increase the damage on the roll.
Like empowered evocation increases the damage on the roll.
And magic missile multiplies the final result of the damage roll by the number of missiles.
>>
>>50734511
UA is written in pencil not pen for a reason.

Also you should knew that Undying Lightn Warlock use similar language on its +damage ability like the pre-errata sorcerer. But be we all knew what RAI is.
>>
>>50734677
>But be we all knew what RAI is
Yeah! Yeah we do!
;)

https://twitter.com/jeremyecrawford/status/557820938402947072?lang=en
>>
>>50734675
Empowered evocation says, word for word, "damage roll", though.

Why does it sometimes say 'damage' and sometimes say 'damage roll'? Are they still refusing to be consistent with their 5e terms?
>>
>>50734698
"When you roll damage for a spell, you can increase that damage"
"that damage"
"that"

The damage roll *IS* the damage.
>>
>>50734719
This. Everything else added in is a modifier to that damage, the dice rolled or in some cases the flat base inflicted is "the damage".
>>
>>50730120
>>50730529
>he thinks he ever gets to play at those levels
>>
I want to make a more powerful Hobgoblin Devastator, with up to level 6 spells. Which high level evocation magic should they have?
>>
>>50734770
Chain lightning.
>>
>>50734528
>Making it straight-up better than crossbows obsoletes things.

You do realize that you're talking about fucking firearms, do you? Guess fucking what, they obsoleted everything. You either go all-in or not at all.
>>
>>50734698
I really wonder sometimes if some people have such piss poor reading comprehension that they can't understand things like this or they are just blind themselves with whatever interpretations they want without themselves knowing.
>>
>>50734770
Use the Evoker stat block, in the back of VGM.
>>
File: warden.jpg (53KB, 200x545px) Image search: [Google]
warden.jpg
53KB, 200x545px
warden anon here, i continue to theorycraft on making a 5e warlord, my biggest issue was the archetypes and coming up with them. I come up with the Path of the Earth (name pending) being the more defensive archetype and Path of the Storm (name pending) be more offensive with will deal a lot with lightning and thunder damage.
>>
>>50734836
why don't you just make a fighter archetype
>>
>>50734777
Remember when the chinese invented firearms?
No, it didn't obsolete everything.
It took centuries of development.

The question is at what point down that line you do it.
A crossbow may be faster to reload and more accurate, depending on such things.

>>50734783
When it comes to terms, you have to be very careful, especially when you consider that a 'melee weapon attack' is not a 'attack with a melee weapon'.
>>
>>50734751
These sorts of guys rarely play into double-digit class level, and some of them don't even have a game. It makes me wonder why they even bother with 5e, older editions are so much better suited to this sort of shit.
>>
>>50734088
Not a fan of alignment shenanigans. But otherwise, meh.
>>
How do you like your warlocks?
>>
File: damage.png (184KB, 636x141px) Image search: [Google]
damage.png
184KB, 636x141px
>>50734698
If you can find a single place where there is an actual substantive difference between "damage" and "damage roll" located anywhere in any of the books, you get back to use famalam
>>
>>50734862
Tomed and chained!
>>
>>50734862
Nonexistent.
>>
>>50734862

Shooting EB every round and wondering why they didn't just play a fighter instead.
>>
>>50734862
As 2/3rds casters with their spell lists aped from 4E.
>>
I used in same character in 2 campaign (one during his prime and another during his middle-age year)

He now knew about most enemies we face and people can't even call me meta-gamer.
>>
>>50734929
great
>>
>>50734868
Let's say we have a tranquility monk.

They get +monk level to all damage rolls.

They have armor of agathys on for whatever reason.

Someone hits them.

The person that hit them takes damage.

However, there was no damage roll, so it is not increased.

If it said 'spell damage', it might be justified that it would increase it, though it might not since it isn't damage at the time of casting.

I think generally however, 'damage' will encompass damage rolls as well.
>>
>>50734862
With a bit of paladin or a lot of sorcerer.
>>
>>50734786
Oh, why didn't I thought of that! Thanks. I'll still give him Arcane Advantage and Army Arcana, though. And probably switch bigby's hand or wall of ice for shield. Also:
>12th level wizard
>17 Intelligence
For real? Damn.
>>
>>50734978
PC are special snowflake.
>>
So one of my players made a backup character in case his current one dies. The new character is a forge Cleric and will be at least level 7.

He lost an arm in a smithing accident, but his god blessed him with a new magical arm. I want to rule it pretty much like a magical item, so what could it do?

I thought about letting him use it as his divine focus and he can cast the mending cantrip with it, but I want to also give it a good combat related effect. Any ideas?
>>
In the twilight of this thread, I just want you to know, that 4e was the better game, but the playtest for 5e could have been even better.
>>
>>50734996
Stat it as a shield. It is a metal arm right?
>>
>>50734996
Advantage on grappling? One free casting of Inflict Wounds per day?
>>
>>50735001
>but the playtest for 5e could have been even better.
I'm still mad they dropped the early versions, fighters and monks were a lot cooler in the old playtest. Wildshape was also better
>>
>>50735023
>It is a metal arm right?
I'm unsure to be honest, we only talked about the character concept briefly. But I guess I could also rule it that way.

I also noticed that he will probably have mending anyway as a forge cleric, so I could also srap this effect.
>>
>>50735042
What was it like?
>>
>>50735061
FYI, My forge cleric doesn't have mending... he just use channel divinity and fabricate to convert broken stuff into a new shiny object.
>>
File: 121712 Classes.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
121712 Classes.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50735066
>>
File: damage is damage.png (127KB, 862x123px) Image search: [Google]
damage is damage.png
127KB, 862x123px
>>50734966
So in that case you have damage without rolling dice. Great. There are flat damaging things in the game. But - funnily enough - there is still no substantive difference between damage and a damage roll, in that they're both treated exactly identically - they're both "damage".
>>
File: 032113 Classes.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
032113 Classes.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50735100
Here is the fighter and the monk, a little different but still the same idea. It also has druids
>>
>>50735100
Damn... why don't people like playtest fighter... is 3.x sperglord really that bad?
>>
>>50735142
I dunno, I know people complained about dead levels tho. Also, note how there are no short rest mechanics, all abilities are /day, including action surge, a lot better way to balance imo
>>
>>50735141
>>50735100
How hard would it be to slot these Fighter and Monk classes instead of the normal and revisited Ranger to bring martials parity?
>>
>>50735186
Considering short rests pretty much don't exist, yes. I can't remember the last time my party has been in a position to short rest but NOT long rest, or there has been enough separate combat encounters in one session to warrant more than one short rest without enough travel / downtime to long rest.

It's not like people set up game nights where they're in a dungeon crawl for 8 solid hours and agree to pick up EXACTLY where they left off in the middle of the dungeon for another 8 hours next week, plus some kind of bizarre time constraint in-game or magical bullshit preventing everyone from leaving or taking a long nap.
>>
>>50735249
It's pretty easy. You give Barbs, Rogues, and Monks some die, Fighters several more, and Paladins and Rangers like one or two.
>>
>>50735250
The fact that different classes use different resources recovery is pretty fucked up.

>Oh,you are a warlock in a party with a paladin, cleric and a ranger? fuck you!
>>
>>50735294
>>50735249
The Martial Dice homebrew thing that gets floated around does this, but it focuses more on allowing martials to participate in the non-combat areas of the game by replicating some spell-like abilities and saying it's EXTREME PHYSICAL SKILLZ.
>>
File: smug vamp.jpg (113KB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
smug vamp.jpg
113KB, 1920x816px
>>50735142
>tons of dead levels
>even less utility than 5e fighter has now
>only way to differentiate between fighters is their maneuvers
>almost always better to deal damage with the martial dice instead of using them for maneuvers
>rolling tons of d6s every turn even when you do spend some for maneuvers
>flat damage bonuses
>no such thing as extra attack, so everyone whiffs like the rogue can now
I can't imagine why.
>>
File: ds2-waterfalls.jpg (117KB, 1260x710px) Image search: [Google]
ds2-waterfalls.jpg
117KB, 1260x710px
You can stop fishing for a distinction senpai - there ain't one.
Been over this to death and back myself.
Have some pretty artwork
>>
>>50735320
As opposed to now, where the only way to differentiate between fighters is... their maneuvers and whether they are sword and board or two-hander, but that's true of the playtest as well
>>
>>50735250
That's because many DMs don't run the adventuring day as it is supposed to. I'm running a published adventure and there are many times the party is in a hostile location and need to rest, but can't take a long rest because not enough time has passed since the last one or it simply wouldn't be safe to stay on the same place for 8 hours, whereas 1 hour is still possible.
>>
File: 1435961027148.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1435961027148.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50735313
This one?
>>
>>50735381
I have yet to encounter this mythical "we can stay here for one hour but eight is pushing it" threat in either Princes of the Apocalypse or Storm King's Thunder.
>>
>>50735320
>tons of dead levels
>even less utility than 5e fighter has now
They could just gave them ribbon abilities to fix this, not a big deal. Not a reason to remake everything

Implying it's different now

>almost always better to deal damage with the martial dice instead of using them for maneuvers
You lose ONE die for the maneuver, it's other way around: Maneuvers > 1d6

>flat damage bonuses
You already roll +6d6, why even more? Also, it makes the damage more consistent. It could be smoother (ie +1 dam per level) tho

>no such thing as extra attack
Extra attacks are bad mechanics, it's a huge damage spike. And why would you want more attacks whe you are dealing like 6d6 + 20 damage?
>>
>>50735357
>not playing a ranged fighter
wewe
>>
>>50735111
Incorrect. A damage roll determines the damage. A damage roll of 4 against resistance is 2 damage.
>>
File: mattmercer.jpg (155KB, 580x329px) Image search: [Google]
mattmercer.jpg
155KB, 580x329px
How good is the Matt Mercer Blood Hunter homebrew? How good is the gunslinger? and aside from that, are they fun?
>>
>>50735475
>Incorrect
So a blowgun either isn't a ranged weapon or else it is a ranged weapon and doesn't get dexterity added to its attack and damage roll.
Pick your contradiction poison~
>>
>>50735410
Maybe your wizard should have rope trick, then. Or your group should get creative on holing up somewhere. And I don't know how your group survives any dungeons or dungeon-like scenarios with many encounters without short rests along the way, I know my group wouldn't have. Besides, you do know you can't take more than one long rest per 24 hour period, right?
>>
>>50734862
Played without regard for DPR.
>>
>>50735404
Yes.

Personally, I don't think replicating spells is the way to allow better martial participation in the social / exploratory pillars. I'd rather see more combat-oriented abilities which also have out-of-combat utility when used cleverly, the same way that a caster can take a spell that is mostly intended for fights and has only rules regarding that, and can use it with a little imagination and DM cooperation to facilitate actions that have nothing to do with fighting.

Say, a caster uses Grease to slicken the ground or a heavy object the party is attempting to move).
An example of a martial parallel would be some kind of melee attack that sunders armor (enemy grants advantage to physical attacks for some rounds) and is stated in rules as "an extremely powerful blow capable of shattering stone", now allowing martials to use this to batter through walls or doors in ways current DMs and attitudes towards martial capabilities would find ridiculous.

You know, making the martials actually heroically powerful beyond the limits of real-world humans, the same way casters do shit with magic that is beyond the limits of real-world humans. As the martials are expending a resource to do this, there shouldn't be much complaint about power levels in the game, just
>REEEEEEEEEEE MARTIALS ARE MUNDANE AND SHOULDN'T DO ANTHING BUT STAB THINGS AND AND RUN/JUMP WORSE THAN REAL WORLD ATHLETES REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>50735527
Don't forget "played with regard for survival or efficiency"!
>>
>>50735426
>Extra attack is a bad mechanic

I agree up to a point. If all martials started at 2 attacks and scaled of that, then +1 attack would not be as huge as it is now.
>>
>>50735476
The Witcher knockoff is pretty tight, my dude. Gunslinger is a clunky piece of shit.
>>
>>50735541
It weirds me out how monks set a clear precedent for this with being able to run on water by level 9 but other martials can't even break down a heavy door reliably
>>
>>50735450
But I do
>>
File: 1280px-Sun_Bear_3.jpg (167KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Sun_Bear_3.jpg
167KB, 1280x852px
>>50735541
Unfortunately, due to a combination of that and sperging about formatting, 4e flopped.
Too bad I hate the "everything scales with half level" and "magic item assumed progression" shit, or I'd find more clever players and run that. If only 4e had relied on bounded accuracy and had magic items be optional DM tools instead of baseline player equipment...
>>
>>50735563
>other martials can't even break down a heavy door reliably
Look at DCs for busting most doors down.
Then look at your raging barbarian.
Look back to the DCs for busting most doors down.
Now back to your raging barbarian.

Read the mechanics bruh
>>
Is there a good 5e resource for information about the inner planes. I'd like to set an adventure in the Plane of Fire or Plane of Earth and there doesn't really seem to be setting books for this edition except the Sword Coast one. At least not as far as I have seen
>>
File: characteridea.jpg (488KB, 1063x750px) Image search: [Google]
characteridea.jpg
488KB, 1063x750px
>>50735555
That's what my thoughts just from glancing at them were, but I mean who doesn't want to be a witcher knockoff?
>>
>>50735591
>5e resource
No, but since it's just fluff stuff you can just use older edition materials for learning about that shit.
>>
>>50735579
>sperging about formatting
You know people judge a book by it's cover, and 4e layout and design was horrible, no one can defend that shit
>>
>>50735505
I don't understand what your implying here. That because a blow pipe has no damage roll, no dex is added? Dex is added to weapon damage, roll or no.
>>
>>50735593
On that note, have an addon for the Bloodhunter.
>>
>>50735601
Any recommendations? I played 2nd and 3rd but I've pretty much always used homebrew or default settings for every game all these years
>>
File: damage is damage is damage.png (73KB, 313x123px) Image search: [Google]
damage is damage is damage.png
73KB, 313x123px
>>50735612
>Dex is added to weapon damage, roll or no
Because there is no distinction between a roll and damage~
If there were, then blowguns would get no bonus to their damage, since you make no damage roll and the text says - explicitly - a damage roll.
But low and behold! You *DO* add your dex mod to the damage of a blowgun!
Meaning no distinction!
Meaning Grim Harvest when applied to magic missile is multiplied!
Thank you and goodnight!
>>
>>50735541
4th ed did that. But people flipped out about the lack of hard ruses to handle non combat using their abilities.

Example. The assassin can adopt a new identity as a ribbon. Why can't anybody with a disguise kit and prof/decent deception do the same?
>>
>>50735591
5E reversed just about everything 4E did to the Inner Planes, so just go back to 2E/3X sourcebooks for it. The old Manual of the Planes is a catch-all but is rules-heavy and not much for fluff or description. Planescape had a pretty good Inner Planes book, and Al-Qadim went into great detail on the Fire Plane with its City of Brass (I think it was something about a Lamp?) adventure.

The only change that 5E kept from 4E as far as Inner Planes go is now the distinct planes float in the Elemental Chaos rather, so if you go "out" far enough (the planes, which are all coterminous and form quasi- and para-planes with each other, nevertheless have discrete borders despite being geographically infinite) you will eventually encounter all the elements just swirling around together "out" there. As mentioned in the Manual of the Planes, though, there are still pockets of each element in every other plane (you can find rocky mountains in the Plane of Fire, or giant windstorms, even bubbles of water or small lakes, but those dry up almost immediately after spontaneously forming) which, while rare, increase in frequency the closer you get to the related plane.
>>
>>50735616
i was actually hoping it was catgirls because it wouldve been funny as fuck

you disappoint
>>
>>50735633
3.5 Planar Handbook maybe? If I remember that was decent.
2e had stuff and 4e (which I never played) also had a book dedicated just to the planes.
>>
>>50735668
>he's not a weremoecatgirl
>>
>>50735664
>Why can't anybody with a disguise kit and prof/decent deception do the same?
Which is hilarious, because the DMG and PHB basically both say to go and do that for everything.

The one critique of 4E I never understood was the idea that it encouraged ROLL-play instead of ROLE-play.
Somehow gutting the skill system and telling people to just be good at what makes sense for their backstory and to RP out things equaled "you just can't do stuff unless there's rules for it" in the minds of some people. The same people BITCHING ABOUT THERE BEING RULES TO BEGIN WITH. WHAT. There's like two or three levels of hypocrisy going on there.
>>
File: 5e - Awoo.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
5e - Awoo.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50735668
Sorry friend, I'm not into the shitty memery that happens in these threads.
>>
>>50735712
>dogs
Gross.
>>
>>50735579
Rules exist to allow natural progression without the magic item bloat. Simply apply the +1's at the correct levels and keep items as boons with no +X.

I don't like bound acurracy, so your on your own there.
>>
>>50735610
>Clear, consistent separation of fluff text from mechanics bad!
>>
>I've been working on this class homebr-
>Why not just make it a [class] archetype?

/5eg/ gives the shittiest advice on homebrew.
>>
>>50735762
That's the best advice you could possibly get actually.
>>
>>50735758
It's not bad, but the way they did it was indeed very, very bad
>>
>>50735320
The problem with fighter now is that unless you're playing battlemaster, it is already better to just attack rather than do anything interesting.

And battle master is really only taken because it's a DPS boost anyways.
>>
>>50735651
Or, or... hear me out, the blow gun is an oversight like dozens of others. Because going by hard RAW you don't add dex. But we are not getting anywhere arguing RAI with no clarification romantic the devs.
>>
>>50735803
>the blowgun is an oversight
Wew special pleading! Keep it comin' man!
>>
>>50735563
This problem is as old as time as far as D&D goes.
You want to throw a heavy object, like a table? Roll Strength, Grunkorr the Barbarian. Oh, too bad, that didn't work.
Eliezar the 8 Str Elven Wizard would like to try? Huzzah, through the whimsy of the massive fucking d20, this guy who can barely carry his backpack and staff at the same time has managed to hurl this solid oak dining table across the room where your 26 Str ass has failed.

By making all attempts to throw or smash or jump or otherwise perform impressive physical feats mere skill checks, the game only leaves the door open to stupid failures by the beefcakes and impossible successes by the scrawny nerds. It is even more stupid than the Wizard failing his Arcana check to identify a spell while the Barbarian succeeds, because we actually DO have rules saying X Str = Y lifting, but nothing akin to X Int = Y knowledge. The mental stats and their performance is entirely subjective, yet you're more likely to encounter DMs who would not let a Barbarian roll Arcana (or tell him anything of note given his total lack of knowledge on the subject, regardless of how well he rolled) than you would a DM who simply says, "Barbarian, you throw the table, no check. Elf Wizard, you know you can't even lift the thing, what are you doing, that's silly."

And that's before we even get into the 3.5e's problems where casters could buff their physical scores to the martials', polymorph, or deal magical damage that ignored structural rules by DM fiat.
Barb wants to move the bookcase? Strength check. Polymorphed Wizard-as-Umberhulk wants to try? Yeah, go ahead, you're a giant bug, that makes sense, nevermidn your Str is lower than the Barb's.
Barb wants to chop up that door? You're going to make attacks over several rounds while I compare Hardness and HP. Wizard wants to cast fireball? The door blows up into splinters even though the fireball doesn't actually have concussive force, you spent a resource, good for you.
>>
So... when I use hide action in combat, That hide result is check against enemies passive percetion, right? Enemy don't get a roll to notice me unless it's spend an action to search, is this correct?
>>
>>50735832
Unless they're actively searching for you, in which case they roll.
>>
>>50735832
Correct. They can use the Search action on later turns to try to find you if you're still hidden.
>>
>>50735784
The best DPR boosts from Battlemaster don't come from the superiority die's extra damage, but from the added accuracy granted by knocking an enemy on its ass to give the whole party advantage, or dropping a creature to zero by pushing it off a fucking cliff and removing it from the fight.
>>
>>50735854
nah it mostly comes from the extra damage die senpai
>>
>>50735832

Also keep in mind you cannot Hide from an enemy who can see you, although that is up to the DM's discretion.
>>
>>50735842
>>50735846
Thanks. My DM had roll enemy perception check immediately after I hide. Better tell him that he been doing it wrong.
>>
File: mfw you don't read the book.jpg (290KB, 889x500px) Image search: [Google]
mfw you don't read the book.jpg
290KB, 889x500px
>>50735873
>DM who hasn't read the book and goes off his assumptions of the system from past editions
>>
>>50735726
catgirls are cute

cute!
>>
File: speed fast go quick run.png (116KB, 759x706px) Image search: [Google]
speed fast go quick run.png
116KB, 759x706px
>>50735884
And 5e!
5e!
>>
>>50735873
>>50735871 is correct. You need some kind of cover, either an obstacle or dim lighting conditions.

Successfully Hiding also doesn't mean you get shunted into the ethereal plane and can run around doing whatever you want until someone beats yout Stealth check. Moving around in places that aren't obscured (going anywhere that you couldn't Hide in to begin with) will reveal you. The saving grace here is that creatures in combat are often distracted, meaning you can work with your DM to see if the guy you are attempting to sneak up on after mid-combat hiding by crossing an open plain is too busy trying to respond to your allies on the other side of him to look over his shoulder and notice you.
>>
>>50735883
Hey, do you have the rest of these edits? I need the Boondocks one in particular.
>>
>>50735865
where do we keep finding people this wrong
>>
File: ggg.png (200KB, 390x373px) Image search: [Google]
ggg.png
200KB, 390x373px
Quick! I need a fearsome orchestral piece. I play music when I DM, but I need some really good and menacing shit. Nothing in my playlist reaaally cuts it.

Its for a large, formidable army converging on a city.
>>
>>50735873
Well, no - he's right about that. You don't have to use the search action to make a contest against your stealth check if the enemy is searching for hidden things.
Now, you can use the search action to make *more* than one check when it might be relevant outside that passive "I'm looking for enemies" check.

Check out the PhB 177 sidebar.
>>
File: read the book.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
read the book.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>50735914
Here you go.

Also new thread
>>50735927
>>50735927
>>50735927
>>
>>50735916
Maybe if your entire game takes place on precipices or your entire party is melee combatants you might be right on either count.
I think both of those are not widely applicable assumptions ^_^
>>
>>50735873
Not necessarily. I use passive perception when out of combat, but in combat it's assumed everyone is on their toes, so whenever someone in hiding approaches or tries to attack another creature, I give them a Perception check.But then I also give the party the chance to roll Perception checks during combat.
>>
>>50735922
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQMCAdMadMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL5P7MlXX4I
>>
>>50735810
Likewise
>To terms with differing names are the same because of this one weapon nobody cares for would not add dex to its damage!

Fuck your fantasy RAI, I'm now of the opinion that blow guns were never intended to add dex.
>>
File: 1434471308530.jpg (58KB, 582x582px) Image search: [Google]
1434471308530.jpg
58KB, 582x582px
>>50735955
>Fuck your fantasy RAI, I'm now of the opinion that blow guns were never intended to add dex
Oh Lord thank you for the laugh.
I love obstinate delusional people.
>>
>>50735762
>>50735774
something like 90% of the time, they are right.

the other 10% they didnt bother reading the class to see it can actually stand on its own as a full class, but lets face it, nobody is going to read that much homebrew anyway. Ive been doing the same for my homebrew - those that read it say its pretty great, those that glance through it say its complicated and would be a better archetype.

Just be grateful you get any kind of feedback and ignore the assholes.
>>
>>50735922
Could always go with Night on Bald Mountain.
>>
Remember, according to ancient custom, posting smug anime girls is an admission of defeat. But if the smug poster b8s you into replying, the tables are turned and you are defeated.

Also, please don't bring this to the new thread.
>>
File: complaining about weeaboos.png (42KB, 964x250px) Image search: [Google]
complaining about weeaboos.png
42KB, 964x250px
>>50736026
>I am going to force a distinction between terms that I cannot find proof of being treated differently across every single one of the released 5e books, and ignore those places where there very obviously can't be a distinction, because if I didn't something in test material that will be errata'd before it was ever released would work RAW
You keep doing you senpai! You're a winner!
>>
>>50735931
Active searching is an action anon.

Also your sidebar is about out-of-combat search. It would still take action to search for trap in combat.
>>
File: hiding.png (268KB, 305x445px) Image search: [Google]
hiding.png
268KB, 305x445px
>>50736053
>>
>>50736066
>>50736053
This whole non-argument was already settled by >>50735906 in a way that doesn't call anyone a faggot, faggots.
>>
>>50736088
It was also settled by the rules text!
>>
>>50728062
I copypasted the PHB spell list into a document and arranged them so they were grouped by level. After the fact I found out that Donjon basically did all that already, but I don't regret putting in the effort. I also wrote 3e style spell summaries for everything. Since I'm fairly new to 5e, it was good practice to make myself actually read all the spell descriptions.
>>
File: Paladin- Oath of the Drowned.jpg (3MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin- Oath of the Drowned.jpg
3MB, 1736x2456px
>>50728469
Maybe? I quite like this
>>
File: 1404467836284.jpg (180KB, 600x557px) Image search: [Google]
1404467836284.jpg
180KB, 600x557px
Does 5e get more or less swingy at high levels? Or does it mostly stay the same?
>>
>>50733596
Aha, it is in action to use scrolls, nevermind that is a shame.

I guess you could preemtively use an action to cast a scroll and ready action to use the spell, but then it is using your concentration until you actually cast it and if you don't need it its still wasted. Not really worth its value unless you're facing an enemy caster who you know is likely to belt out some high value spells.
>>
>>50736340
Stays pretty similar.
>>
File: neat-mamimi.jpg (80KB, 272x252px) Image search: [Google]
neat-mamimi.jpg
80KB, 272x252px
>>50736337
>Difficult terrain aura
>>
>>50735922
Whatever you do, don't use O Fortuna, it's practically a cliche at this point. The next movement is just as good though, and doesn't have nearly the same exposure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nn3PcESF7w
>>
>>50735922
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuS27il9LAs
>>
>>50727485
I once made a manor that became animated while the party was still inside it, does that count?
Thread posts: 421
Thread images: 78

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.