[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 368
Thread images: 37

File: zords.jpg (37KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
zords.jpg
37KB, 800x400px
>Latest News
Monk UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Last thread: >>50713149

'Apparently No One Else Knows How to Make a New Thread So I'm Hijacking the OP' edition

How would you stat out a mech suit? I want to give my players dinozords, but I'm not sure what numbers to give them.
>>
>>50720417
>How would you stat out a mech suit?
Uh I'd probably just play Battletech or something.
>>
>>50720417
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hky68RBS

Power Ranger Fighter Archetype from UA reddit.
>>
Oh boy, I can't wait to see all the Drunker Master homebrews in this thread!

inb4 Mearls killed the Mystic
>>
File: Kek.jpg (238KB, 940x850px) Image search: [Google]
Kek.jpg
238KB, 940x850px
>>50720440
If this is the fucking cat girls pdf I swear to god anon
You motherfucker
>>
>>50720417
Drunkan mustard

LvL 3. Wineskin arts

You are proficient with improvised weapons and treat them as monk weapons.
When you take damage from any source you may use your reaction to tumble for up to half your movement speed in any direction (when you meet a wall you scale it as per unarmoured movement).
On the end of your tumbe you must make a DC 10 Accrobatics save to land safely .
On a failed save you land prone.

Lvl 6. Master of 9 brews

You gain proficiency with the Brewers kit and the Herbalists kit (if you are already proficient you may pick another tool or instrument proficiency).

You may infuse alcoholic drinks with your ki to noursih and heal the body.

You may create up to a third of your monk level rounded down ''Ki infused Alcoholic drinks'' by expending 4 ki over one minute and may only have up to 6 such drinks with you at a time as their effects fade away if you create more.

These drinks heal 1d4+Your monk level+Wis mod hit points.
A person other than you can only drink up to three such drinks per day or must make a Con save against a DC 16 minus your Wis mod each time they drink more than 3.
On a failed save they don't recover any hitpoints and gain a level of exauhstion instead.

LvL 11 Swaying monkey

You can never land/be knocked prone.
When you take the dodge reaction granted by patient defense you may execute one unarmed strike against a target within 5 ft of you.
When you tumble you may spend 1 ki to tumble into a target making an unarmed strike and ending your tumble as well.

LvL 17. Dragon Sages brew

As an action you may consume one ki infused drink and spend 4 ki to unleash a draconic breath attack.

You unleash a fiery breath attack in a 5ft wide and 60 ft long line.
All targets within the affected space must make a Dex saving throw against your Ki save DC or take 5d10+Wis mod fire damage on a failed save or half as much on a succesfull save.
>>
>>50720563
>3
Don't add things that you have to make constant rolls for.

>6
Too many mechanics and impinges on too many factors. I'd recommend cutting out some fat.

>11
Dodge is not a reaction, and you cannot reaction dodge with patient defense.
>When you tumble you may spend 1 ki to tumble into a target making an unarmed strike and ending your tumble as well
This doesn't do anything.

>17
Don't make archetype features depend on one another.
>>
Although I know that Bladelock is a hilariously terrible warlock pact, I want to build the best Bladelock I can. For fun.

What is the best combination of feats, invocations and spells to produce the very best Bladelock? We're at level 5 for this creation, whatever race you want.
>>
File: Power Ranger.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Power Ranger.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50720417
Would you play a power ranger in your next campaign?
>>
>>50720743
Ooooh, too slow m8

Already posted it here >>50720442
>>
>>50720743
>>50720442
>having to wait until level 10 to summon your zord
Literally, fuck that.
Gimme my zord no later than 3rd level motherfucker.
>>
File: Strutters exit WB.jpg (137KB, 968x600px) Image search: [Google]
Strutters exit WB.jpg
137KB, 968x600px
As a really quick hack, I'd say a mech has a STR, DEX, and CON score. Pilot uses the mech's Strength and Dexterity scores, and the Constitution score is mostly relevant only for saving throws.

Mechs have cockpits which, depending on the individual model, provide no cover, half cover, three-quarters cover, or full cover. In the case of a full cover cockpit, the pilot cannot be targeted by attacks and spells, but area of effect spells can effect him. He has advantage on saving throws against such effects and resistance to all damage except psychic.

Mechs have a set amount of HP, and the pilot is ejected when the mech reaches 0. Repairing a mech requires [plot mumbo jumbo] and [x amount of time/money].

If the mech has to make a saving throw, attack roll, or ability check, use the mech's ability modifier. If the pilot has proficiency in the relevant saving throw or skill, he can add his proficiency bonus.

If you want to do something crazy like having a ghost possess the mech, figure out how you want that to work, I dunno. Also if you want mechs with AI I guess they can have INT, WIS, and CHA scores, and maybe function similar to intelligent magic items.
>>
>>50720725
IT'S NOT FUN
DON'T DO IT
YOU WILL JUST FEEL BAD
>>
>>50720440
every fucking time
>>
How do we unfuck the Bladelock?
>>
>>50720725
Take paladin multi and variant human (gwm) or fallen aasimar for on hit damage. Pump con to 14 and use a weapon with reach so can be a second liner. For invocations get witch sight and spam darkness. Also get thirsting blade and the extra attack one. Either go pally 6 and warlock 14 or pally 11 and warlock 9. If you really want full casting as a Gish you'll be bad in melee but go pally 2 and warlock 18. Go fiend pack warlock and oathbreaker pally if you really want to optimize and dish out barbarian tier damage.
>>
So, there are no dmsguild materials on MEGA anymore?
>>
>>50720917
You don't.
The fact that EB exists invalidates the concept period.
>>
>>50720917
Give actual benefits and tools to letting it go into melee. Make Lifedrinker restore your health, and let you use Cha to attack with the weapon.
>>
>>50720966
Your AC or your HP is still gonna suck dick either way.

And - instead of being in melee - you could just be knocking things 40 feet away from you with no save from hundreds of feet away with a damage type essentially nothing in the game is resistant to.
>>
Taking inspiration from a previous post, I want to play a shadowy Half-Drow Private Investigator. Rogue with the Inquisitive archetype is definitely a must, but I'm trying to find a way to include the Shadow Sorcerer and/or Bard. The reason I want Shadow Sorcerer is the Darkness you can see through casting, and Bard has some really cool spells I want like Faerie Fire (which is a Drow ability alongside Darkness), Dissonant Whispers, and Tasha's Hideous Laughter.

I could really use some help to optimize this because it seems like it'll be a difficult multiclass. The campaign is starting at level 7.
>>
>>50720997
Which is why you need to give actual benefits to going up and hitting things with your sword. You could easily give them an Invocation that works like the Kensei ability and just gives them extra AC when they attack with their pact blade.
>>
>>50721032
If you make them better than EB they're too good.
If they're not as good as EB then you should just be EB'ing.
There is no winning.
>>
>>50720997
Sounds like a "gain proficiency in Medium Armor" is in order when you take the pact at level 3 then.

I'd also say that Extra Attack with the pact weapon comes built in at level 5, and instead there's an invocation at level 7 or 9 that lets you make a reaction attack with the pact weapon against someone who hits you in melee.
>>
>>50721026
Why not play a regular drow and get darkness and faerie fire for free?
>>
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but would anyone have battle map of burned / scorched woods?
>>
>>50721068
Still ain't good enough.
EB and being ranged is still better.
>>
>>50721088
Sunlight sensitivity is going to be a pain to deal with, and they can only be cast once a day. We usually go a while between long rests.
>>
>>50721095
Bladelock doesn't have to necessarily be better than a ranged EB-blaster, it just has to be good enough on its own merits to be viable.
>>
>>50721063
>If you make them better than EB they're too good.

Only if you make them better in terms of damage. They're already decent in terms of damage, but as you point out, they lack survivability.

Letting them gain AC and regain health by attacking in melee makes them more survivable in close combat without being overpowered. The fact that they have to use multiple invocations to get to that point also means they'll have less utility, so that's another trade off.

And it's hard to argue that they'd be too good just for being better than EB, when any other warlock has a bunch of benefits to go along with EB while the Bladelock is investinge everything to match it.

>>50721068
Can't just give them armor proficiency, since then people will just take it and EB while wearing armor.

Giving them extra attack for free is probably a good call though.
>>
How would you unfuck Kobolds, /tg/?

Getting rid of the strength penalty would probably do it. What else would you suggest?
>>
File: Arslan South Easterlies1.png (3MB, 1490x934px) Image search: [Google]
Arslan South Easterlies1.png
3MB, 1490x934px
>>50721090
I made this and then they never went there.
Dunno if this is what you're lookin' for.
>>
>>50721108
If you're going into melee instead of staying back and doing something that would just straight up be better, I feel like there should be a legitimately good reason for you doing so, because otherwise I'd just be more apt to call someone's character stupid right
>>
>>50721116
You're never more survivable in melee than at ranged.
The game is just like that.
>>
>>50721139
Yes...which is why I'm saying that you should give the melee focused option something that gives them extra AC and HP as a reward for going into melee, in order to help offset that difference.

Why are you having trouble with this?

>>50721131
>I feel like there should be a legitimately good reason for you doing so

Which is what people have been suggesting. Give Bladelock more benefits and Invocations that give bonuses to doing things while you're smacking people with a sword.
>>
One of my players is a wizard and after has become convinced that illusions are the solution to absolutely everything. What are some creatures that have Truesight? To my knowledge it's mostly demi-gods and super strong things like sphinxes. Are there any more slightly normal creature with truesight?
>>
>>50720725
I've always wanted to play a fiend bladelock and use a chain weapon like the chain demon and be ghost rider
>>
>>50721172
But what are you *getting* from going into melee?
Look, let's say you make the survivability of melee *IDENTICAL* to ranged somehow.

Why am I still going into melee when I can hit people from a trillion miles away?
What am I getting?
>>
>>50721178
Bats have blindsight, which might work if he's trying to use mostly visible illusions. Same with other things that have a keen sense of smell or hearing.
>>
>>50721200
>Hey guys, what are some suggestions for things to give the bladelock to make them benefit more from going into melee?
>Going into melee? But how does that benefit me?

Maybe now you get what we're trying to fix?
>>
>>50721172
I think the first step is, as suggested, to give them medium armor and shield proficiency like valor bards. Why the fuck do bards get everything nice?

Then possibly allow then to add their charisma modifier to attack rolls, and lower the prerequisite level for Lifedrinker, as well as letting them regain HP equal to necrotic damage dealt, with some kind of limitation to prevent abuse (I go stabbing in my bag of rats until I'm back to max HP!).
>>
>>50721240
So what are you proposing?
Because I know why I'm in melee as a paladin - because I can't not be in melee to use most of my shit.
I know why I'm a barbarian in melee - I can't use most of my shit otherwise.
I know why I'm a monk in melee - I can't use most of my shit otherwise.

So...
>>
>>50721274
>So what are you proposing?

That people make suggestions instead of bemoaning that Blade pact is literally unfixable as long as Eldritch blast exists.
>>
>>50721284
I'm contending that it is unfixable as long as EB exists.
So my asking what your proposals are to fix it amounts to asking you why I'm wrong.
>>
OMG lol - 8 page adventure $15

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/200761/Winters-Folly

Congratulations, you just became the most expensive, non-wotc user content on DM's Guild.
Out pricing the next 2 highest priced user content by $2-$5 which both exceed 100 pages of content.
>>
>>50720917
by giving them a purpose other than damage dealing. Give free debuffs on hit Make them like hexblades in 3.5, if hexblades hadn't sucked total ass.

A free, instant cast of hex without concentration requirements on each creature hit. Unique spells or invocations to buff a held melee weapon so that it does poison/necrotic damage or HP drain over time. Let the pact weapon become intelligent and maintain concentration on a second spell in limited ways.

Give them utility, basically.
>>
>>50721271
I feel like giving Medium armor and Shields is just going to lead to people taking Blade pact and just ignoring melee and reaping the benefits of good AC though.

It'd be a better idea to just have the pact blade itself give extra AC for attacking with it, as then you do have that incentive for melee.

I agree with you on Lifedrinker, though a limitation is a good idea. Perhaps have it say hostile creature, or be limited to Cha+level times per short rest?

From there it's really just a matter of giving more benefits to going melee. Some more spellsword style cantrips could potentially help.
>>
What class/race/background combination is the most fun to play at level one? I think I had the most fun as a Goblin Rogue Urchin simply because it gives a lot of options. What did you enjoy the most?
>>
>>50721178
Truesight is usually reserved for really powerful creatures (liches, the mightiest fiends, celestials) or stranger ones, like the Nothic or Modrons. But like the other anon said, blindsight and other senses should generally be enough to "see" through illusions. A dragon is not going to get fooled, for example.

>>50721121
Hm, it looks a bit too messy to be used in roll20, but I could try. Thanks either way, anon.
>>
>>50721334
continuing, give the blade its own extra warlock spell slot that it can use once each short rest when it hits an enemy (no extra action required). Let the player use its power but give the patron veto power if that seems too strong.

Keep adding on little shit until it seems fair I guess.
>>
File: NSA dragon.png (370KB, 952x839px) Image search: [Google]
NSA dragon.png
370KB, 952x839px
>>50721178
You could always just homebrew a few creatures up, or give existing ones Truesight to make a new creature.

You could justify it as a type of magical monster designed to watch the world for disorder and such.
>>
>>50721394
Using a spell as a Bonus action once per short rest triggering off a melee attack with a pact weapon might work wonderfully. May want to restrict it so it's cast at half of whatever the warlock's max spell slot is, so if he has 4th level slots, he'll be limited to a 2nd level effect.
>>
>>50721332
That better be the best fucking thing ever made
>>
>>50720917
The problem with the Bladelock is twofold.

1. Eldritch Blast is never not a better option compared to using the pact weapon.
2. It's dangerous to get into melee as a d8 class in light armor with none of the rogue's mobility options.

Most solutions to 1 either do not actually stack up, or make them overshadow full martials. Giving them a free extra attack does not solve this. Giving them more than one steps on the fighter. Letting them use Charisma for attack/damage destroys any upper-level scaling and usually leaves EB as a better option still.

Most solutions to 2 still leaves EB as a better option, just now you have a bit more defense. Giving them more HP still leaves EB as a better offensive option. Giving them medium armor still leaves EB as a better offensive option.

And solutions to either requiring spending more invocations still makes blade pact a poor option.
>>
I've cracked the code.
We can make bladelock a better option by removing eldritch blast from the game, thereby incentivizing warlocks who want to deal more damage to use a weapon instead.
I'm brilliant.
>>
>>50721338
What about giving them Unarmored Defense Dex+Cha (or just giving Cha bonus to AC) against any melee attack they suffer? That way it'd be a benefit for being up close and personal.

And like >>50721334 said, something along the lines of "Whenever you make a melee attack against a creature using your pact weapon, you can use a bonus action to cast Hex on that creature without expending a spell slot."

Lifedrinker should become "When you hit a creature with your pact weapon, the creature takes extra necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) and you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your warlock level. This bonus action can only be used a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier per long (short?) rest." Unsure about the new level prerequisite, though.
>>
>>50721502
I saved this post for future copy/paste because it's a good summary.

Thanks senpai.
>>
>>50720417
This is 5e. Learn to fluff. Mech suit is Variant human with heavy armor master.

If you want stat for everything, go back to 3.pf
>>
>>50720888
this
>>
>>50721502
Isn't EB is so good that you can build any kind of character and dip in 2 level of warlock for all your combat need?

Like 2 Warlock / Rogue / Bard / Knowledge Cleric ultimate skill monkey.
>>
>>50721629
You can but it's dumb to.
MAD and shit.
>>
>>50720743
>The spark of a power ranger is often found in adolescence, and once a ranger is identified by these ancient warriors, it is almost impossible to answer the call.

> almost impossible to answer the call.

Consider me fanny flustered
>>
>>50721502
mate have you played 5e? get one magic weapon and all that "le cantrips are better" stuff falls out the window. unloading on a guy with two weapon attacks is insane. you would be surprised, if you haven't played much 5e yet, how often you're going to miss spamming cantrips, and how bored you're going to get.
your second point is really accurate and something bladelocks badly need help with.
since your game is likely to never run past level 11, all the imbalance bladelock has to deal with versus fighter with 4 attacks and 24 strength barbarians etc isn't as big a deal as the imbalances that warlocks are going to have to run with, i.e. having so few spells know and so few spells per day.
like you're right, about what you're saying, but you're missing how good it is to be able to just barely hold your own in melee combat without having to burn spell slots, an to be able to conserve those slots, and to be able to still disguise self yourself at will.
>>
>>50720417
Can someone tell me on a scale from 1 to 10 how cringeworthy this character concept is?
>Half-Orc
>Paladin, Oath of Vengeance
>generally good-natured, works well with others, will never draw his weapon on an innocent, but is deeply offended by all things evil in nature and fights with savagery and without mercy when provoked
>channels his Orcish rage to smite and slaughter the wicked like a sort of medieval Doomguy
>ultimately does what he does in the name of righteousness, but may take the fight against evil farther than most would
I want to play a guy like this, but I don't know how other players might respond to him.
>>
>>50721648
Variant human
8 13(+1) 12 12 13 15(+1)
obviously skilled for feat
>>
>>50721697
dear Lord have mercy I'm triggered
>>
>>50721695
>get one magic weapon and all that "le cantrips are better" stuff falls out the window
No. No this is not true.
Look at the average bonuses across magic weapons.
The statistic is not favorable to that assertion at all.
>>
>>50720743
>>50720442
So, is this an archetype or a class?
>>
>>50720417
2 levels of Paladin before going full bladelock fixes everything.
>>
>>50721766
No it doesn't.
You'd be better off going full paladin or full lock.
>>
>>50721787
It fix the armor and hp problem.
>>
>>50721806
You're still better off EB'ing.
>>
File: 1481528759413.gif (708KB, 791x791px) Image search: [Google]
1481528759413.gif
708KB, 791x791px
>>50721740
go on... what do you mean? in my 2 years of experience in 5e this hasn't been the case. maybe its just who i play with idk. typically fighters (and other martials) run train on combat encounters, and wizards and rogues figure out how to solve other encounters, or cheat their way out of combat encounters with spells or some off the wall shit.
i'm open to what you're saying, but i'm not sure i understand what you mean.
>>
>>50721696
Seems good to me anon, good combination of characteristics. Almost seems a little bland to me but I'll assume you're leaving out a bit of the concept. As long as they aren't literally just a good-aligned murderhobo, I like it.
>>
>>50721809
True. Not really worth to melee unless you are a tomelock with shillelagh and GFB. Poor bladelock... if only they move +cha to melee up to the level where people actually play.
>>
>>50721696
better than the average murder hobo if you can actually stick to it
>>
>>50721825
I mean account for the statistical average damage bonuses across all the magical weapons in the game thus far and compare that average damage you're going to be dealing to what EB is doing.

EB wins.
And not only does EB win, it wins by a mile on utility too, since you knock things around with NO SAVE
>>
>>50721852
>Not really worth to melee unless you are a tomelock with shillelagh and GFB
And that's true of literally only one level in the game - level one.
>>
>>50721868
Undying light help
>>
>>50721883
Sure but that's really gimmicky, and again it's only viable for a very few levels.
>>
>>50721858
idk i don't buy it. the difference in damage is so minor i think a magic weapon will swing it over to bladelock's side. then utility and range wise you're right, but i don't think its as significant a difference as people want to believe.
>>
How does a level 4 wizard defend himself from several melee attackers? I'm trying to throw my wizard a bone since he's rolled so poorly on HP that he's at, like, 15 right now. I'm willing to give him spellbooks, wands, or other magical items. I was considering a pendant that works as one free revive on death, but that's a lot less fun. He's not the smartest player so I'm not really worried about him getting too strong from whatever I give him, honestly.
>>
>>50721868
You can't even get shillelagh (or your pact blade for that matter) until level 3.

>>50721897
From what I gather, you are expected to go into sorc to quicken it, and/or Paladin to smite.

And bladelocks need to like, either start out as fighters or accept that they'll have terrible defenses forever.

And both are STILL worse off going into melee than just EB spammaing.
>>
>>50721925
What type of Wizard

Best way to survive is not get into melee until you can cast Polymorph
>>
>>50721925
Lost Mines of Phandelver has a magic staff in it that gives +1 AC and Shield like 5 times a day.

The wizard using it was unkillable.
>>
I threw this together earlier today but forgot to link it here.

It's a small web page using some community-made XML for simple stat block display. It has everything from WotC books, including VGM. It's simple enough to use and good for copy/pasting or screenshotting stat blocks.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/157339657594601472/259092718385364992/bestiary.html

Just save it somewhere and open it up in a browser.
>>
>>50721923
It's actually massive.
If I were doing anything else as a high level warlock I would be *REALLY* gimping myself.
I don't think you quite grasp just how important not being in melee is or how powerful repelling blast is.
>>
>>50721926
>You can't even get shillelagh
I thought you were magic initiate lel'ing.
>>
>>50721933
Transmutation. He doesn't have Polymorph yet but, considering he will be very good at that eventually, I might give him something to push him along that path
>>
>>50720631
>Don't make archetype features depend on one another.
Confirmed for scrub
>>
>>50722174
Not a single monk archetype feature in the game is dependent on another archetype feature.

Just gonna throw that out there senpai~
>>
File: man covered in bees.jpg (78KB, 281x344px) Image search: [Google]
man covered in bees.jpg
78KB, 281x344px
>>50722217
>~
I can't even tell if you're that shitposter, or just pretending to be him in a ploy to sound retarded.

I need a drink.
>>
>>50721504
Yeah eldritch blast really does kind of pigeon hole the entire class.

There needs to be viable alternatives to it or something. Or just remove it entirely.
>>
>>50722241
good rebuttal lad
you've got WotOH, WotLD, WoS, and WotSS
which one has a feature that is entirely dependent on a previous feature senpai?
wew lad guess there are none
doesn't that mean I'm right?
;)
>>
>>50722254
>forgets wot4e

Just like Wizards did.
>>
>>50722266
I feel like it's an insult to mention an archetype that either does literally nothing because you make the right choice and don't use it or else actually makes your character worse should you mistakenly use its features instead of doing base monk shit.
>>
>>50722277
Yeah they really should've given it more utility. Or lower the ki costs. Or literally anything to make it better.

I still plan to play one, but multiclassed and literally only for flavor purposes.
>>
>>50722305
Just use this one.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwNDM2My1XeWFYSDA/view
It's balanced and decent.
>>
>>50722305
>>50722311
Scratch that - that's the older version that gave you a low level feature that you could get fucking truesight.

Here's a better one.
https://archive.4plebs.org/dl/tg/image/1433/19/1433195829577.pdf
>>
>>50722337
>13 pages to fix a single archetype
Why do people think this is okay?
>>
>>50720917
Remove it from the game so people stop picking it.
>>
>>50722254
It's not a rebuttal. I'm not even arguing against your point. I think you're correct. I can still laugh at you for acting the way you do, right?
>>
>>50722350
I hate that too since it's a throwback to 3.5 overdesigned bs, but whatever works.
And that does work.
>>
File: 1481757694074.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1481757694074.gif
4MB, 480x270px
What's the most recent absolutely retarded thing you've experienced in your game?
>party save town from minor troll incursion and become local heroes
>the next morning two party members get pinched for trying to buy weed, telling us they were out to gather information
>rather than pay the 20gp bribe the wizard blow a hole in the wall and set fire to the building and it's surroundings
>rogue poisons 5 guards during his escape using an inhalation poison in a public area
>they manage to convince the rest of us to leave by saying the information made the situation urgent and there was no time to explain
>this town is on the only road back to the rest of the continent
>we're going to have to go back through that town unless these two chuckle fucks can convince us to roll through the wilderness for no reason instead
>>
>>50722359
You do you senpai
Believe in the you that believes in memes
>>
>>50722337
Yeah I have that, thanks though.
Will really just depend on the DM that runs it and what they think. Would totally love to use the remastered version.
I'm prepared for either though.

Also, the groups I play with don't usually have very experienced players, so it's not hard to run a less than optimal character. Since even a character built optimally by accident won't be played very optimally (when it comes to combat).
>>
>>50722361
Fucking murderhobos Jesus Christ.
>>
>>50722350
In my opinion it should've just gone back more to how the play test functioned.
Working more like barbarian totems. Don't know why they thought they needed to turn most of them into spells.
>>
>>50722377
Because it's easier to get the variety they wanted out of the archetype by just having it emulate spells.

You wouldn't be able to make them feel like "masters of all four elements" with just a few archetype features. It would be even harder to balance.
>>
>>50722377
I agree entirely.
>>
>>50722388
It's current state completely lacks good variety though.
>>
>>50722401
You mean the PhB one? Yeah that's because they failed miserably.
>>
>>50722413
Which is why I say switching to spells was a horrible choice. Seemed very lazy, lacked variety, and was horribly balanced.
>>
>>50722422
No - they just fucked it up because they barely tried and were waaaaaaaaay overly concerned with avoiding a short-rest-refreshing spellcaster with all the monk defensive shit from the base class.

It's totally possible to have most of the archetype's discipline options be spells and have it be a good discipline, as >>50722337 shows. You just need to also have more unique non-spell disciplines, and you need to actually understand what ki costs should be.

And they very very obviously didn't.
>>
>>50722350
>>50722360
I would like to say that 2 of those pages are justifications for the rework, and at least 1 page is taken up by the low-res art they felt needed to be in there. In addition, pic related shows how much of that space is wasted. Not going to fight anyone on it being over-designed or thinking a barb totem-esque design is the way to go though.
>>
File: wot4e.png (707KB, 1224x809px) Image search: [Google]
wot4e.png
707KB, 1224x809px
>>50722446
Fuck, forgot pic.
>>
File: desertcity.jpg (493KB, 2560x2048px) Image search: [Google]
desertcity.jpg
493KB, 2560x2048px
Cool Desert campaign ideas, hit it.
>>
>>50722460
Standing.
On the edge.
Of the crater.
>>
>>50722460
Fight the invading force that's stealing your precious sand.
>>
>>50722460
vultures the size of dragons.
>>
File: what is this strange creature.jpg (68KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
what is this strange creature.jpg
68KB, 1280x544px
>wizard subclasses for each school of magic lets you copy spells of that school for half the price taking half the time
>this encourages wizards to take spells outside of their specialized school at each level-up and get their school spells from other spellbooks and scrolls instead
>>
File: gomjabar.jpg (75KB, 900x667px) Image search: [Google]
gomjabar.jpg
75KB, 900x667px
>>50722477
Don't you mean...spice?
>>
>>50722469
Like the prophets once said.
>>
>>50722460
Bearded dragons in the tavern's basement.
>>
>>50722490
Odd, but doesn't really hamper immersion for me. If anything it makes sense.
"I know I can ace my history final, so I'll study harder on chem"
>>
>>50722490
Oh come on, I hate 5e but even I think this is a dumb nitpick. Even back in the days of adnd, the purpose of playing a specialist wizard was bonus spells, with little effective limits on using the gold standard of fly, stoneskiing, disintegrate and magic missile.
>>
>>50722460
The marauding armies ride horse sized lizards that squirt noxious blood out of their eyes at infantry when charging, rendering the phalanx formations used by the good king obsolete.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2014-01-22-23h34m18s7.png (431KB, 740x963px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2014-01-22-23h34m18s7.png
431KB, 740x963px
Is is possible to make a character in 5e who can, in a single turn, shoot a man, before throwing him out of the material plane?
>>
File: I am become death.jpg (42KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
I am become death.jpg
42KB, 720x960px
>>50720417
>Path of Kensei
>Choose Martial Ranged weapons as your Kensei weapons
>"Whenever you wield a kensei weapon, you
choose whether to use Dexterity or Strength
for the attack and damage rolls of the weapon,
and you choose whether to use your Martial
Arts damage die in place of the weapon’s
damage die."
>Max your strength, fuck the dex

>Become Muscle Sniper
>>
>>50722493
No, sand.

>Australians sell sand to Saudi Arabia
http://www.bi-me.com/main.php?id=10790&t=1
>>
I'm just gonna make it so when you pick bladelock, you get a melee version of Eldritch Blast. Also medium armor, and improvement on lifedrinker and other things mentioned in this thread for survivability.

Why play this when you can just do Eldritch Blast and have range? Fuck, maybe your party needs someone on the front lines but you want to Eldritch Blast or something.

Shit dude, just give them straight up spell channeling through pact weapon. Like, on-hit activate Fireball or some shit so the targeted creature takes weapon damage, and then everyone except the bladelock has to save vs. Fireball.
>>
>>50722528

Of course! Sorcerer can quicken Fire Bolt then cast Banishment.
>>
>>50721947
anon, i don't know why nobody appreciated this but that's fucking handy and I'm holding onto it.

Someone should add this to the 5e mega
>>
File: mononoke.gif (966KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
mononoke.gif
966KB, 500x281px
>>50722529
>>
>>50722529
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/808851295985549312

it's intended to turn strength weapons into dex weapons, not vice versa. but nobody really cares and strength bows are cooler
>>
>>50722506
yellow-spotted lizards everywhere
>>
I want to play a melee range sorcerer. What's the best option to do so?

Why does it take so long to get CHA mod to my spell damage rolls? All I want is to Shocking Grasp twice in one turn and feel good about it.
>>
>>50722595
I know it's against RAI, but that RAW is absolutely delicious.
>>
>>50722603
favoured soul, i think the consensus is borderline OP, but i'm not sure

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/modifying-classes

right at the bottom
>>
>>50720631

>3
>Don't add things that you have to make constant rolls for.

A free ability should have a drawback.
A monk using his reaction to tumbe just gains an extra 30ft free movement and escapes a dangerous situation in one.
It's also a reaction to taking damage.
You won't be doing it constantly.

>6
>Too many mechanics and impinges on too many factors. I'd recommend cutting out some fat.

It's a healing potion mechanic that isn't broken.
An upper limit to 6 drinks total.
Others can only drink 3 or must make saves so no abuse.

>11
>Dodge is not a reaction, and you cannot reaction dodge with patient defense.
>When you tumble you may spend 1 ki to tumble into a target making an unarmed strike and ending your tumble as well
>This doesn't do anything.

>Patient defense
Okay that is a fuckup.
Still means an extra unarmed strike when using patient defense if corrected.

>Being able to attack as part of the tumbling reaction is somehow doing noting.

Step by step guide:
>Get hit
>Use reaction to tumble in the direction you want
>Tumble into a target and spend one ki to make an unarmed strike against it

>17
>Don't make archetype features depend on one another.

At higher levels healing falls rather off and becomes slightly obsolete when everyone and their mother can do it.
Thus giving the ability to use it with another feature is great.
This particular feature granting a dragonbreath which is always good.
>>
>>50722528
crashing this plane
>>
So now my 8th level party has a Devotion paladin with 20 Charisma, and her saves are just disgustingly good. Now how am I supposed to have anyone fail a saving throw without throwing some crazy shit at them?
>>
File: pat look it's that dog.png (244KB, 540x653px) Image search: [Google]
pat look it's that dog.png
244KB, 540x653px
>>50722821
I ran a game with a full-plate-and-shield-defense-style Ancients paladin with Tough, who managed to get 20 Charisma. There is no solution outside of resorting to unfair bullshit, their defenses are near-impenetrable.
>>
File: Angel's Egg by KurkoBolts.jpg (488KB, 1063x750px) Image search: [Google]
Angel's Egg by KurkoBolts.jpg
488KB, 1063x750px
>>50722821
get them out of range of the aura
anyone fighting a 20 charisma paladin with any ghost of a chance would likely have some idea of how to fight a 20 charisma paladin and win.
also research methods to give people disadvantages on saves and do things which avoid saves.
>>
>>50720917
Have at least some of the scaling baked in--something like having them pick a fighting style upon choosing it, and at some point increase their pact weapon reach by five feet.
>>
What would be some spells good to take for the 6th level College of Lore feature?

I was thinking Elemental Weapon (for the effect of THUNDERBLADE) and probably Find Familiar or Hex. If anybody has additional suggestions I'll take them in mind.
>>
>>
>>50722855
Shit man, now even the 10 Wis fighter is saving against 3 Hold Persons in succession. And everyone else in the party has proficiency in those (wizard, druid, paladin, deep stalker ranger). Where's the fun in never have anyone fail a Wisdom save?

>>50722857
>give people disadvantages on saves
Would you have suggestions on this matter? All I can think of right now is 3 levels of exhaustion, which hardly ever happens.
>>
Has anyone read 5e Reforged by Dawnforgedcast? Is it any good?
>>
>>50722960
>10 different rolls for every single attack
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>50722995
it does say that you probably only change it per dawn or rest, but yea, it's pretty shitty
>>
>>50722900
As much as I love Find familiar... Magical Secret slot is so limited that you probably better use it for some other spell that can't be get via Magic Initiate
>>
File: CynG_xyWEAQ_PT_.jpg (42KB, 456x370px) Image search: [Google]
CynG_xyWEAQ_PT_.jpg
42KB, 456x370px
>>50721947
>people spend 150 posts autisming about a class that, really, is completely fine
>anon posts the most useful resource that's probably ever been posted in this general and everyone ignores it
This board is fucking trash. Thank you anon
>>
>>50723166
I didn't ignore it, if that makes you feel better.
>>
File: 1371165469561.png (215KB, 412x370px) Image search: [Google]
1371165469561.png
215KB, 412x370px
>>50721947
Yo dawg this shit's spherical as fuck. Good job
>>
>>50723069
But I already have Magic Initiate.
>>
>>50722900
Come on anon, you have so many other much more useful choices here. Counterspell, Revivify, Haste, Spirit Guardians, just to name a few. Find Familiar, Elemental Weapon or Hex could never compare.
>>
>>50723330
A member of my group already has Counterspell and I don't want to tread on their toes.

Spirit Guardians is pretty cool though. Definitely going to consider that. I just like the idea of flynning with a sword that emits tiny thunderclaps on impact. And Haste is pretty baller as well.
>>
>>50723244
Why don't you take Find Familiar with it then maggot.

If you want something fun... Take Find Steed.
If you want something reliable... Take Counter spell (Jack of all trade apply to your counter spell roll, making Bard the best in this role)
>>
>>50723383
Spiritual Weapon is a way to increase DPR via bonus actions, and isn't concentration either.
>>
>>50723383
Spiritual Weapon is good too. Bonus attack to attack, not concentration. Animate Dead + Aura of Vitality is another cool combo.
>>
>most campaigns don't make it past level 10
>most groups level up fairly frequently

Is this why I encounter so many people who just don't give a shit about their characters?
>>
>>50723383
> A member of my group already has Counterspell and I don't want to tread on their toes.
But then when an enemy wizard gets Counterspelled by your mate and decides to Counterspell the Counterspell you can Counterspell that Counterspell.
>>
>>50723457
My current campaign has the surviving early party members at 11, two newer ones at 10.

It's weird now though, our characters are largely above dying, with an 11 druid, a 10 druid, and an 11 cleric, it would take a great deal to actually kill us, and even if you do, lolrez.
DM wants to try a 3 strikes rule, but really, only endangers one person thus far.
>>
>>50721117
Kobolds are pretty fucking great m8, permanent advantage is very good.

I would recommend a party that works with them though. If no one else is melee or has dark vision you are fucked.
>>
I'm going to pit my party against a bunch of Hell Hounds, later reinforced by a Chain Devil. Yes/No?

My main concern right now is that if I throw 6 hounds on them that's going to be an average of 60 fire damage to anyone who gets caught in all the breaths, even if they make all the saves. Is that too much?
>>
>>50723570
i'm not one for balance, but you should probably tell us the level and classes of your players so others can give you actual advice

i would personally hold back the fire breath or use them inefficiently (only hitting one instead of aiming it to hit 3) if you feel like it would be too much.
>>
>>50723570
Just dont have them all use the firebreath at once? Try force them to spread out the party, with attacks on multiple angles, adds danger because they aren't able to help each other as well but removes AoE stacking TPK
>>
Can one person be grappled by multiple creatures and need to break each grapple before they can move? I really like the Kuo Toa Whips with their pincer staffs, and I want a major hazard for my next encounter to be Kuo Toa attempting to slow down the party who are currently in the middle of fukin leggin it out of the underdark from a much larger force of Kuo Toa. If they fail to break a grapple, and another moves up, like multiple pincerstaffs holding them down, does that work? Especially if they are already grappled + Shoved, being grappled x2 while prone seems like a massive setback that would require the rest of the party to slow down and help.
>>
>>50723599
>>50723600
8th level, fighter/barb, paladin, moon druid, ranger, 2 wizards (abjurer/diviner). I'm the anon above complaining about 20 Cha pallys.
>>
>>50723672
I'm pretty new to building encounters, but being hounds it'd be fairly simple to try split the party to avoid AoE spam TPK. Seems like a really hard encounter regardless, but just holding back on the fire breath would work. Otherwise, what those other people said would work, inefficient use/splitting up the party before using would work fairly well.
>>
>>50723672
Just make sure the dogs go last in the initiative order. Your party is 6 people strong and if they kill any dogs or get out of a huddled group their odds go up drastically.
>>
Where can i find 5th edition foes? Apologies if its in the mega but I cant find it
>>
File: Races.png (781KB, 1846x494px) Image search: [Google]
Races.png
781KB, 1846x494px
> Stat me
>>
>>50723793
>no
>>
File: Yaungol.jpg (127KB, 659x618px) Image search: [Google]
Yaungol.jpg
127KB, 659x618px
>>50723166
I only wish that it had a small bit on each entry saying from which book it was from. I have no clue where these Yakfolk come from, but they remind me of Yaungol from WoW, and they were pretty neat-lookin
>>
>>50723793
Hume: Literally human
Bangaa: Hobgoblin/Half-Orc
Viera: Elf
Moogle: Gnome
Seeq: Orc
Nu Mou: DMG aasimar
Ronso: Bugbear/Goliath
>>
>>50722900

Counterspell is godlike because you are the second best counterspeller in the game behind the Abjuration Wizard. Conjure Animal is great if the DM allows you to choose the animals or at least listens to your suggestions enough to make it worth the slot.Crusaders Mantle combined with Animate dead can be great for lulzy arrow spamming shenanigans. Haste and Aura of Vitality are things i9m sure you have heard about before as well
>>
>>50723804
Well it was worth a shot
>>
>>50723570
In CoS, there's a situation where you're looking at 3 fireballs/turn from really defended positions, which in the initial dispositioned round, would be really brutal against the party. I ended up doing 1fireball/round instead.
I'd give yourself a limit on how many breaths you can take per round, maybe one in the first round, and a max of 2 each round?
>>
>>50721947
This is amazing. If you're taking suggestions, you should add playable races too
>>
>>50721947
>https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/157339657594601472/259092718385364992/bestiary.html

<3
>>
>>50722673

Can we not?
>>
>>50722361
dudeweedlmao

Why the fuck are you being arrested for stupid shit like that in a system where murderous bands of monsters are understood to be a common problem?
>>
Has anyone played through the 5e adventures in a tactical op style?
>>
>>50723816
Thanks.
>>
File: IMG_0296.jpg (44KB, 587x347px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0296.jpg
44KB, 587x347px
>>50721946
>mfw war cleric
>critted him twice in a row to kill him in the first round of combat with war priest and guided strike
>>
>>50722595
>Crawford destroys fun again
Yeah, because there's so much game-breaking that happens when you take THREE levels in an class to use the weaker of two combat stats to attack with and mostly gain features that don't benefit the rest of your character.
>well i can step of the wind twice so i've got that going for me, that's worth waiting until level 8 for my extra attack uh huh
>>
I'm trying to make a Religion-based puzzle for my group but my unfamiliarity with the FR pantheon is making it hard. The idea is that there's a large statue of some kind of god standing in front of a large stone wall in a cave, fairly unsubtly blocking the path to deeper caverns. The trigger to open the passage should be something about the statue that someone with proficiency in Religion (or barring that a fairly high Investigation role) could discern as remarkable or noteworthy, like something amiss with its appearance, clothes or items or something.

The passageway leads to the Underdark, so I was considering maybe a statue of Lolth, but I'd rather keep that a secret from the group so that the beholder zombie lurking behind the statue is more of a surprise.
>>
File: goodgenes.jpg (95KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
goodgenes.jpg
95KB, 700x700px
>>50722241
>senpai~
Of course it's him. But watch it, buddy, he's not a retard. That's just his Superior Genes.
>>
If you had ideas for classes or adventures, what would you create?
>>
>>50722821
A fire giant attacks the Paladin twice, and a second one throws a boulder.
>ded
>>
Rolled 2, 1 = 3 (2d6)

>>
>>50721946
>>50724184
>tfw we surprised him and in the first TURN of combat he fails against Tasha's Hideous Laughter
>>
>>50724233
Deneir the God of Writing is all about the pursuit of knowledge and gaining it. The statue depicting the god burning a book would be a very easy to notice issue.

That would be a pretty easy DC though, something harder would be his symbol being wrong, they eye over the candle, instead the candle over the eye for example.
>>
>>50724211
Get the fuck over yourself, not everything is about numerical fairness. The Kensei was clearly designed to be a blademaster, and literally the only thing this changes is no using strength to aim a bow/xbox/blowgun/sling, which is moronic anyway.

I'm actually impressed that Mearls admits they just put whatever shit they think of and expect dumb shit to get caught immediately, because that's how the design process works. It reveals humility (because he admits a lot of his initial ideas are crap) and integrity (because clearly he used this process to create the current content).

Anybody who thinks game design is easy work should actually examine what this guy's job entails.
>>
>>50723663
Yes you can be grappled by multiple individuals, and you would have to break each one.

Prone makes it even more deadly, as they have constant disadvantage on attacks and people over the character have constant advantage.
>>
>>50723457
Yes, it took me months of playing to get to level 6 for the first time. And I consider it divine intervention that I actually got a character from 1-20
>>
>>50724295
Solid idea sempai, I might look at a few other god's symbols and see what would be easily but noticeably transposed.
>>
>>50724303
Considering dmsguild randoms and he'll, danddwiki, consistently put out higher quality material for free, we can be pretty sure Crawford and mearls are uniquely unqualified for their jobs.

Just look at the mess they've made of 5th edition compared to the promise it showed in the playtest.
>>
>>50722900
Aura of Vitality is one of the best healing spells in the game if that's your job at all. Haste as others have mentioned is amazing, it play your character more than anything.
>>
>>50723663
If I learned anything from Shrek 2 it's that you can use multiple man-catchers against a person at once.

>>50724233
Dumathoin, dwarf deity of mining and underground exploration. The statue depicts him as holding a multi-faceted gem (part of his holy symbol) and gesturing at it with his other hand. His mouth is open as though talking about it.
Except Dumathoin is mute, or at least never chooses to speak. Pressing the statue's lower jaw upwards makes the mouth slide close and opens the passage.
>>
>>50723491
>3 strikes rule
what did he mean by this
>>
>>50724336
For every good design on dmsguild, there are literally (literally) dozens of shit ones. On danddwiki, it's more like hundreds.
Meanwhile, Mearls has only released four shit archetypes out of several dozens.
>>
>>50724376
3 rezs then super dead probably, just pitching in here.
>>
Wtf the new paladin oaths are all weak af
>>
>>50724249
I'd probably make just a ton of archetypes rather than classes. I see a lot more people play a homebrew archetype than a class.
>>
>>50724418
what
>>
>>50721947
Does this have the erratas in it too? This is pretty awesome, anon.
>>
>>50724249
The only thing I want that warrants a class is the Warlord. Currently WIP.
Archetypes I want, and might work on: Avenger (unarmored inquisitorial paladin, probably), Warden (militant druid that uses Wild Shape to assume aspects of nature), and Muscle Wizard (wizard that uses Str for spells because fuck you, that's why).
>>
>>50724249
A con based caster.
>>
>>50724540
>Avenger
Kensai/Vengeance Paladin
>Warden
Tempest Barbarian
>Muscle Wizard
You're a faggot
>>
>>50724536
Don't feed the trolls

>>50724567
>Kensai/Vengeance Paladin
In my defense, the Kensei isn't released content yet, and needs fixing anyway.
>Tempest Barbarian
Either you don't know what a Warden is or we're focusing on very different aspects of it.
>I'm a faggot
Yes, and?
>>
>>50720417
>How would you stat out a mech suit?
Ablative HP, physical ability score bonuses, and one special gimmick each.
>>
>>50724552
That could be interesting. Some kind of blood magic style caster, perhaps?
>Giving offensive and defensive buffs to the party at the expense of hitpoints
>Big hit dice (d10) at the expense of some utility
>Can't think of subclasses right now but cool as fuck options to be had
>Especially devoted to a god or some other high being?
>Speed up rituals with blood sacrifice

Would definitely play or try to come up with stuff for it.
>>
>>50724184
Guided Strike is a +10, it is impossible for it to do anything with crits.
>>
What is a good fix for retarded cantrips Blade Ward and True Strike?
>>
>>50724609
I should have clarified that it WASN'T going to be a blood Mage whatever whatever. That I think is overly done, and adding another hemomancer to the already over filled idea isn't good.

I was going for an individual who focuses their mind and body into exertion and can force magic to be the result. A god to make this easier would be interesting but why wouldn't I just make a cleric then. Right now, I have a d8 hit dice, Con and Str saves. Simple Weapons and spell casting.

One archetype, focused on the body, gets martial weapons, medium armor and shields, and a less forward spell list.

The other, focused on the mind, gets spells, maybe wisdom save proficiency at some point, and more of a caster like a land Druid.
>>
>>50724552
True SADness: The Class
>>
>>50724376
>>50724395
3 deaths and your out for good, soul is claimed, nothing brings em back, at least no mortal means.
>>
>>50724609
A caster that uses hit points to power his spells has to have a way to gain them back, or he'll run out of hit dice very quickly. Probably some sort of "when an enemy dies within x feet of you, regain y hit points." No sack of rats, dammit.

Archetypes could include Blood Stealer (vampiric type that drains hit points (basically Vlad from LoL, we were all thinking about him anyway)), Blood Giver (quasi-healer that can donate his hit points), and Blood Shaper (conjurer that creates weapons and other objects, because every caster needs a pointless gish archetype).

>>50724674
Understanding the point of them.
>>
>>50724585
You're only dipping Kensei, and what you are getting out of it is perfectly acceptable. For a full build, sure, it needs fixed. But for an Avenger, it works fine as is.

And a Wardens used daily powers to transfigure themselves by drawing in a spirit in order to turn themselves into a weapon of nature's wrath as well as its most ardent protector.

If you are wanting to go more for animal spirits, the Totem barbarian probably actually works better, but if you are wanting to draw upon the form of Wintry Guardians or the Fire Snake, then Temptest works very well at turning you into a walking blizzard, a scorching firestorm, or a savage thunderstorm.

Alternatively, if you are wanting to emphasis using ancestor spirits to protect your tribe rather than either the spirits of beast or the animist spirits of forces of nature, the Ancestral Guardian also works quite well and also makes for a tank much in the same vein as the Warden.

Most of these classes get their benefits only through their Rage while can be fluffed as your drawing upon the Form of [Whatever] when the storm starts kicking up, the spirits of your ancestral tribesmen begin to shimmer in the air, or you adopt the rampaging ferocity of a stampede.

5E Barbarians already are Wardens, just with their rage normally not as overtly magical as you fluff as being if you are playing a warden.
>>
>>50724689
>Understanding the point of them.
Please explain
>>
>>50724674
Double the range of true strike, give d6 scaling on next successful attack and keep the advantage.

Blade Ward is a bonus action but against the next one no magical attack
>>
>>50724678
You're describing the Mystic.

>>50724679
Give him shit armor options and force him to have secondary Dex?

>>50724702
True Strike is meant for really high AC targets or non-combat related attacks that you can't afford to miss (like cheating on an archery contest).
Blade Ward is for when you have no immediate target and nothing else to do with your action (e.g. the enemy used invisibility).
>>
>>50724552
>>50724609
>>50724678
My recommendation would be looking at the Scarred Witch Doctor from Pathfinder. Shitty game, but it does have neat ideas as far as archetypes and the like. Rather than focusing on blood magic and the edge that comes with it, you focus more upon ritualized scarification and a focus on enduring pain and hardship. Ooga booga mask optional.

>>50724679
This is a real worry with something like that, especially if you aren't using HP as a casting mechanic.
>>
>>50724679

give him -2 DEX and a d12 hit dice
>>
>>50724692
>Most of these classes get their benefits only through their Rage while can be fluffed as your drawing upon the Form of [Whatever] when the storm starts kicking up, the spirits of your ancestral tribesmen begin to shimmer in the air, or you adopt the rampaging ferocity of a stampede.

>"Most of these classes only get to perform the most basic functionalities of a 4e defender, and for no real reason can only do it some of the time. And instead of getting any actual advanced abilities, you can just describe some neat stuff happening and pretend that makes a difference! See? It's just the same."
>>
>>50724724
Dangers of multiclasses for armour there.

Monk, however, suffers penalties such as not getting extra speed if they use armour, so it's possible to limit their armour possibilities.

I'd honestly tend towards saying they get bonuses from strength/wisdom, such as armour or health bonuses, or even some sort of resistance or save bonus.

Though that's starting to sound pretty 'musclewizard', which doesn't fit too well into 5e. Then again, con-based casting is already pretty musclewizard territory, and strength wouldn't be the casting stat.

>>50724749
Further encouraging heavy armour.
>>
>>50724709
>d6 scaling on next successful attack
What does this mean?

>Blade Ward as bonus action
Isn't this too good? On most situations nothing is keeping you from casting it every turn, esp if you are a caster

>>50724724
>True Strike
That's waaay too situational. Also, Advantage isn't that cool on high AC targets compared to +bonuses, especially when you're trading multiple attacks for it (if EK). Plus 2 attacks > 1 attack with advantage (you can actually hit twice). Might be decent when you're spending high level spell slots to do one super-attack, though. But I'm not too sure about that.

>Blade Ward
Invisible != hidden. You can still attack with disadvantage. If they are hidden, you are better off spending your turn looking for them.
>>
>>50724758
>Further encouraging heavy armour

give him something akin to the monk where he loses his powers if he wears armor
>>
>>50724692
Tempest Barbarian only works for very specific Warden abilities. It doesn't give you the ability to sneak like a panther or climb like a monkey, and it can't let you run like a stag or hunt like a tiger. Wardens were about more than just energy projectors.
Totem barbarians give you shit like I just described, but don't let you channel more primal aspects of nature, like winter or death.
There's no type of barbarian that lets you root things in place, either.
Maybe druid archetype isn't the way to do it, but neither is the Tempest Barbarian - in fact, the Oath of the Ancients is already closer to a warden than any barbarian.
Thinking some more, it might be a suitable ranger archetype.
>>
>>50724385
Mearls good design rate is 0. So far he has not released a good design. They are all held back by crippling flaws. There are plenty of good ideas, but the man has shown a complete inability to take those good ideas and make a good class from them.
>>
>>50724767
>True Strike
You're right, I wasn't thinking about the advantage/high AC thing. I tend to think they wanted it to be stronger but were worried about interactions.

>Blade Ward
Invisible, burrowing, themselves shielded, whatever. Or when you think there's an ambush coming. It's for any situation where you fear an attack but don't have a handy target.

>>50724785
Mearls wrote the PHB, you fucking idiot.
>>
>>50724767
The attack that you get advantage on, though d4 is probably better. And yeah on second thought the blade ward could be too good, though I am all for it being something people take. Maybe reaction to lessen non magical b s and p damage by a dice roll? Scaling D4 would be good.

>Bandit hits caster, caster uses reaction to cast blade ward, rolls a 3. The 5 damage he takes is now 2.

The bandit can now move without opportunity attacks and the caster doesn't have message mending spare the dying guidance or other Cantrips that are quite good.
>>
>>50724754
So you are clinically retarded? Warden's forms were a Daily power, and if anything, you are getting more uses of the ability per day as a Barbarian than you were as a Warden. Y'do realize that the 4E Wardens polymorphs were not an omnipresent ability, right?

And fuck, Form of the Fearsome Ram? Literally just the Elk totem maybe with some Wolf giving the bonus to movement speed and knocking bitches around and down. Form of the Relentless Panther, a Tiger/Wolf Barbarian. Form of the Willow Sentinel, an Ancestral Guardian. Form of Winter's Herald, just a Tundra Storm Herald.

>>50724767
You do realize that Cantrips are generally supposed to be situation aside from your [Basic Spell Attack]? They aren't supposed to be best in slot ability. If Blade Ward was a Reaction or Bonus Action, that shit would be a leveled spell. If True Strike was a Bonus Action or let you cast it on allies, that shit would be a leveled spell.
>>
>>50724838
>Mearls wrote the PHB
>Mearls good design rate is 0

checks out
>>
>>50724785
What do you suggest then. The classes released I have had a lot of fun with.
>>
>>50724838
>Mearls wrote the PHB

Q.E.D. thanks
>>
>>50724869

no no no. You aren't allowed to be nice and recognize decent things about people in /tg.

Only scorn please.
>>
>>50724858
Anon is not me (the person who originally brought up the warden), and may be clinically retarded, but isn't entirely wrong.

But I am starting to see your point. Since you no longer have to attack to keep your rage going, it can be used purely defensively, or activated for utility powers. And Con to AC is already built into the class.

I guess none of the existing Paths quite nail what I want, or at least not all of it at once.

>>50724869
>>50724879
If you seriously thought that you'd be shitposting in /4eg/ instead of here.
>>
>>50724858
Warden's could make Opportunity Attacks every enemy turn and could mark every adjacent enemy every turn and could punish breaking the mark every round.
>>
>>50724904
Not to mention any of their at-wills (push, pull, etc.) or encounter powers.
>>
>>50724878
Playing the playtest versions of classes instead, before mearls decided to go full retard and kill everything fun.

That or 4e.
>>
>>50724852
>using an action to grant yourself advantage and +1d4 to your next attack roll
Mm, I like this. It's probably good enough.

>Reducing one attack's nonmagical pbs damage by 1d4 as a reaction, scales to 2d4 at 5, 3d4 at 11, 4d4 at 17.
Hm, I like it. Could it be slightly too powerful at 5?

>>50724858
>he doesn't know about Guidance
I'm sorry you don't get +1d4 to basically every ability check you ever make
>>
>>50724904
>>50724923
That's like asking that fighters get all of their disables back and paladins get charisma-based melee attacks. It's part of the collateral of not using powers anymore. The core aspects of the Warden are the Forms and the nature-y-ness.

>>50724878
Nothing, anon just has nothing better to do before bedtime than shilling for 4e (>>50724933).
>>
>>50724951
It is only one attack, and doesn't let you use shield, which is better of course, or other reaction spells. That blade ward could be just alright enough to be balanced.
>>
>>50725041
True that
>>
>>50724904
>>50724923
Yeah, and Paladins lost their ability to Mark and use Charisma for their melee shit, Druids can no longer choose to become swarms, Shaman only sort of exist as a Druid archetype, and there's no battlemind.

This isn't 4E, and unless you are clinically retarded, you should probably understand that two different games will be mechanically different. Nothing translated completely, but the core theme of the Warden -- I turn into a walking force of nature by allowing spirits to transform me -- is still alive and well. A friend of mine enjoyed the hell out of playing a Warden, and he is now still playing more or less the same character with his Barbarian.

Stop being obtuse and you might have fun.

>>50724933
I do miss Next allowing you to literally build Simon Belmont as a whip fighter.
>>
>be warlockwizard
>have armor of agathys upcast to level 6, 30 temporary HP
>have arcane ward of 26 HP
>cast blade ward
>anybody who attempts to attack you in melee will take 30 damage, and only deal half damage to your ward, and then to your temporary HP
>walk past all the enemies like you just don't care

>be fighterrogue
>cast blade ward
>bonus action to attack with rapier
>sneak attack with rapier

>be sorcerer
>quicken blade ward for something similar to monk's patient defence, especially good if they were going to even with disadvantage on your low sorcerer AC
>>
>>50725161
>someone deals damage to you with a non-weapon attack
>you receive any kind of damage that is not pbs
>>
>>50725161
> bonus action to attack with rapier
???
>>
>>50725212
The majority of attacks are both physical and weapon attacks, however.
Though, to buff it in a fair way, I think the best way to deal with blade ward is make the damage resisted more general - 'Any damage resulting from an attack by a weapon or from a weapon attack'.

Making it a reaction cantrip is just stupid.

>>50725230
War magic.
>>
>>50725230
He's assuming you have war magic, the EK 7th level ability. Which means missing most of your sneak attack progression.
>>
>>50725161
>deal 1/2 to 1/4th as much damage, even less
>receive 1/2 damage
PERFECT STRATEGY.
>>
>>50725091
>"more or less" the same character
>lacks any of the same basic functionality
>>
>>50725091
>Yeah, and Paladins lost their ability to Mark and use Charisma for their melee shit, Druids can no longer choose to become swarms, Shaman only sort of exist as a Druid archetype, and there's no battlemind. This isn't 4E, and unless you are clinically retarded, you should probably understand that two different games will be mechanically different

Weird how paladins and fighters and monks all lost a bunch of abilities, unlike druids and wizards and clerics...
>>
>>50722553
Guess I have a plot hook. This will go well with my pirate captain named Robbie that throws nets on people.
>>
>>50725254
>Character design core at 8th level.

Oh that's fine then. Its only good if you are the focus for attacks.
>>
>>50722553
>not casting Bane too for good measure
up your baneposting fampai

>>50725307
>now look at this net
>>
>>50725307
Is he going to throw Sporticus out of the material plane? D:
>>
>>50722673
with no outsiders
>>
>>50725274
>what is situationality
If Theoretical Guy dealt 30 damage normally but would take 60 damage that round, they've just sacrificed 15 damage in order to avoid 30 damage.
Sure, they might have killed something that would damage them, but the idea is that the rest of the party kills them all for him.
A rapier+shield fighter is, after all, not a GWM EK and more of a defence-based fighter.

>>50725316
Yeah, honestly.
The main issues are getting enemies to focus on you (A high sneak attack makes your reaction attacks better, so they're less likely to run I suppose, but you'd need to be a high level to get a decent sneak attack AND war magic) and the other issue is that blade ward could be made to be a bit more general.

Blade ward shouldn't be as generally good as dodge, but it should be situationally better, and right now that's true but it needs a few more situations where it's good.
>>
>>50725161
Why no Bladesinger + Haste
normal action bladeward
haste action attack
>>
>>50725365
It's also not as good as just casting Blur on yourself and attacking twice instead.
>>
>>50725365
Except that you don't know how much damage you're going to take, or if they're even going to attack you.
You're trading attacking several times RIGHT NOW for PERHAPS reducing damage later.
>>
>>50725365
>>50725161
>>50724858
>>50724838
>>50724724
>defending Blade Ward RAW
>when literally nobody ever takes it

eh ok
>>
>>50725406
>A cantrip is not as good as a spell
No shit

>>50725457
>literally nobody
Demonstrably false, piss off.
I even used it once or twice.
>>
>>50725398
That combination would work better on a rogue.

>haste action attack to obtain sneak attack
>blade ward or dodge with action left over
The real question is, how often is blade ward better than dodge in that case?

>>50725406
Eh, blur is concentration and a level 2 spell slot, but that's more comparable to dodge than blade ward.

>>50725437
That's why you have to read the situation.
You might be buying your team time as they catch up / run away.
You might be alone in melee range while everybody else is at a far distance.
There might be a giant chasm between them and the rest of your allies.
You might have been allowed the tunnel fighter UA and you've readied it, and every single enemy who leaves your reach is in danger of taking whip damage booming blade AND booming blade's secondary damage sneak attack damage but honestly your DM should be careful with that UA.
>>
Christ alive, /tg/ being bad at games has truly entrenched itself in /5eg/ now.
>>
>>50721858
EB wins at low level, but at mid-high levels the potential attack as a bonus action, extra +to hit, and +to damage, have the Bladelock as the bigger damage dealer.
He still loses on utility and defense.
>>
>>50725551
I think I'll take the path of not getting hit by virtue of killing my enemies.
>>
>>50725627
You remind me of that one guy who saw he wasn't doing his maximum DPS from his ranged position, so he charged into melee next to the tank who was using 'dodge' and immediately got downed because the enemies then started attacking him instead, thus wasting not only the tank's last turn but also that turn and healing resources getting them up again.
>>
>>50725602
/tg/ is good at game, it's just that as a whole they have no fucking idea how they work or what makes them fun.
Source: I've seen the homebrews, man. Scary stuff.

>>50725610
And, you know, 120 feet of range.
>>
>>50724978
Actually I think the playtest had the potential to be the best dnd there was, but the fun was killed.
>>
>>50725653
>strawmanning this hard
Dude I am a fucking spellcaster
>>
>>50725695
Sure. And when it wasn't, you went back to shilling for 4e. I see no contradiction here.

>>50725736
>fucking spellcaster
Tantric magic UA when?
>>
File: 2016-12-16 08.19.16.png (257KB, 1071x948px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-16 08.19.16.png
257KB, 1071x948px
>>
>>50721925
Running away. Spells like Misty Step, Expeditious Retreat, Invisibility, Thunderwave, and Shocking Grasp should help him get out of melee range until his friends can close distance and take some of the heat off of him.
>>
>>50725768
Well, 4e is superior to the current iteration of 5e. That's hard to not recognize.
>>
>>50725736
>namefagging for literally no purpose or benefit
>also fagfagging for literally no purpose or benefit
One must wonder, why?
>>
>>50725770
So how many times have they changed on this?
>>
>>50725736
This guy was a spellcaster, too.

However, the same applies to non-spellcasters.

Often, I see a fighter run into a fight alone while everybody else is ranged.

If they'd stay at range or let a lone guy playing defence-based, even though they maybe dealing less damage because they have to thrown things or use dex instead what they're doing is giving the party rounds where they take hardly any damage whereas if they charged in they'd deal more damage but take more damage and thus the proportion of party damage to enemy damage would dramatically shift.
>>
>>50725807
one is a fucking idiot
>>
>>50725819
Once. Don't be a douche. They made a mistake and they admitted it.

>>50725803
Then why are you shitposting here instead of /4eg/?
>>
>>50721178

Creatures with blindsight or Echolocation can bypass visual illusions while others with True Pitch (which you have just made up) can bypass auditory illusions.

Added onto that, you can add degrees of dificulty. Creatures like the fey who have dominion over glamours could easily see something as an illusion, even though they might be incapable of seeing the Reality, and low level spells, like Detect or Dispel Magic are rather fairly common.
>>
>>50725819
Crawford has stated that, barring feedback, the kensai in house development is vastly different.
Now it's a matter of, "do people want a weapon specializing monk".
They throw the craziest ideas on UA so they can get gut reactions. If the concepts are dumb or don't click, they start over.
>>
>>50725840
Because I'm busy fixing 5e in my spare time.
>>
>>50725840
They've made plenty of mistakes that they haven't fixed. Wot4e for instance.

>>50725855
They throw rough drafts of ideas that they made 2 hours before the due date in UA. Like I said before, dmsguild and danddwiki have a better track record.
>>
>>50721313
Pact of the Blade Modification
>Add the line:
"Additionally, when you select this Pact Boon, you gain proficiency with medium armor and with shields."

New Eldritch Invocation: Seismic Toss
>Prerequisite: Eldritch Strike cantrip
When you hit a creature with a weapon that is under the effects of Eldritch Strike, you can push the creature up to 10 feet away from you in a straight line.

New Eldritch Invocation: Swords Dance
>Prerequisite: Eldritch Strike cantrip
When you hit a creature with a weapon that is under the effects of Eldritch Strike, you may designate any number of creatures adjacent to it. Each of those creatures takes an amount of Force damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

Eldritch Strike
>Evocation cantrip
>Casting Time: 1 action
>Range: Touch
>Components: V, S
>Duration: Instantaneous

An aura of crackling energy wraps around your weapon as you attack. Choose a melee weapon you are holding. For the next minute, if you hit with your weapon, it deals its normal damage plus 1d10 force damage.

When using Eldritch Strike, you can substitute your spellcasting ability modifier for your Strength or Dexterity modifier on the attack and damage rolls with the weapon.

If you have more than one attack, such as by the Extra Attack feature or the Thirsting Blade eldritch invocation, you can apply the effects of Eldritch Strike to each one.

A weapon enhanced by Eldritch Strike only works for you; if you let go of it for any reason, the enhancement ceases and must be cast again.

The spell deals more damage when you reach higher levels: 2d10 at 5th level, 3d10 at 11th level, and 4d10 at 17th level.
>>
>>50725856
Good answer. Not bad anon. Not bad.
>>
>>50721925
Toss him some Bracers of Armor (assuming the party doesn't have another unarmored character who won't snap them up.) If he picked shitty spells, have him chance upon another wizard's spellbook with the spells he should have taken.
>>
>>50725877
>Haven't fixed Wot4e
What makes you think they aren't working on that in-house? (Genuine question; did anybody tweet them about it?)
Also, you must be reading a different danddwiki from me, because that shit is 99% garbage, and the UAs are only 90% garbage.

>>50725856
Let us know when you're done so we can laugh at you some more.
>>
>>50725882
So... level 1, deal double damage? You really shouldn't create a cantrip more powerful than GFB, especially not with the practically irresistible force damage type.
>>
hey guys. How do you fix the fucking mystic. Im impatient and dont want to wait until next year for their next broken piece of shit to get churned out from their bowels.
>>
>>50725908
The monk UA was the perfect time to release a fix for the worst monk/general archetype in the game. The fact that it wasn't, and there were only two archetypes, largely suggests that nothing is being done, and UA is largely irrelevant.

Remind me, how much UA has actually made it into an actual product? Just storm sorcerers iirc.
>>
>>50725945
It's misconceived from top to bottom, not just in terms of the rules they made for it, but in its core concept.

Just don't use it. Psionics was a mistake.
>>
>>50725882
Either drop the damage die to a d6, or remove the weapon's base damage and have it only deal the d10 force damage.
>>
>>50725945
depends what kind of mystic you are trying to play. immortal is strong at low levels but boring at higher levels.
>>
>>50725977
Storm Sorcs and Swashbucklers. Both of which were arguably like everything else in this thread better in their UA.

>>50725908
>they working so hard, guiz, plz trust
>muh tweets
>mocking someone who is actually working to homebrew the game to suiting his group's perferences

Goblins, did you drop the name because the fag remained.
>>
>>50725938 >>50725993
I'll do both things, but the more fundamental question is - do these things (with the edits) allow Bladelock to be considered "viable"?
>>
>>50725979
Im not sure i follow. the idea behind having another int based caster-like class is sound. I agree that they could have done it better. as it stands its needlessly complicated. Id like to simplify it some.

>>50726006
Im trying to just get a decent base class out, then ill see about turning it to 20 levels. But the mystic as it stands has waaaaay too many moving parts. You've got psi points, disciplines, talents, focus, limits.. quite a few things to keep track of and the little fuckers can move all over the place.
>>
>>50726013
This is rather hilarious honestly (he is not me)
>>
>>50726035
yea. I played a mystic up to 10 (then 2 levels rogue) for PotA. I was constantly flipping through papers. and the points. so many points
>>
>>50725945
You can make an effective psionics class by using the warlock class progression.

Pact boons become disciplines, patrons become schools, and invocations become meditations.
>>
>>50726052
Right! holy fuck, so much to keep track of. How were you on psi points at 10th level or so? were you ever at risk of running out?

Would it be fair to reduce to total number of psi points drastically? I believe they kinda copied the spell point variant system and got carried away with it at some point...

>>50726068
except then you have the issue where youre just a cantrip spammer, and the mystic doenst have EB to work with.
>>
>>50725977
Wot4e would require a lot more space and effort than these UAs have had. Arguably it was a broken idea from its conception.
>How much has made it into an actual product?
Not a good benchmark, considering we've only had one actual splat product so far.

>>50726013
>Assuming some retard on 4chan is putting more (and better) work into D&D than D&D's design team
I've never namefagged in my life. Go away Virt.

>>50726047
>He is not me
If you have to say it, it's not true.
>>
>>50726022
What I would do for them is give them the ability to cast blade ward as a bonus action whenever they make a melee attack with their pact weapon. Gives pact warlocks a different niche as gishes, much like sword and board fighters. Also gives them clear times to use EB or their pact weapon.
>>
>>50726083
Warlocks are more than just cantrip spammers, and of you think that you really misunderstand the class.
>>
What are some feat ideas you are working on? Anything good?
>>
>>50726083
So give the Mystic Psionic Blast to replace EB. Keep it Force damage, even. Or swap to Psychic if you want to be a fancy nancy.

>>50726102
>anyone I disagree with is Virt
>>
>>50726022
It would still be more susceptible to damage and have less flexibility (and possibly power) than if he were just using EB.
The bottom line is that EB sets the standard in terms of (non-fighter) DPR, and any attempt to surpass it will either be insufficient or overpowered.
The warlock was never meant for melee and never will be, no matter how badass the core idea is. People who want a good gish should really focus their efforts elsewhere.
>>
>>50726111
Apologies, I probably do misunderstand the class. Highest level I've ever seen one in action was 6, and that was quite literally all they did. That player retired the character out of boredom.

So, how do you play the class? Are you forced to take alter self or disguise self for shenanigans to feel useful? Agonizing blast is an obvious pick to make your damage scale well. So what else is a warlock to do?
>>
>>50726102
>implying homebrew can't improve the game for your group
remove yourself

>If you have to say it, it's not true.
probably
>>
>>50726102
We've had scag, oota, volos, and SKT, all four great times to include new character options vetted by the highly rigorous UA review process.
>>
>>50726124
>failed gish classes
>EK
>bladelock

that leaves us with... bladesinger? Paladin? aaand....... i think thats it.
>>
>>50726102
>Arguably it was a broken idea from its conception.
Yet a single piece of homebrew managed to fix pretty much all of the issues and turn it into a viable archetype.

>>50726102
>We've only had one actual splat product so far.
And that was a book that was 90% copy-pasta fluff about a shitty generic setting, and then didn't even give bards, druids, and rangers didn't even get content.
>>
>>50726132
You pick PotB and come on /5eg/ to complain about it
>>
>>50726133
I'm not saying homebrew can't improve the game for your group, just that there's literally no reason to assume anon is producing better material than the design team, unless anon shows us some evidence.

>>50726134
None of those are splats, except Volo's where the core concept was monsters and monster races.

>>50726120
>Anyone I disagree with is Goblins
>>
>There are literally people who think 'What's the point of taking less damage when you can deal damage instead?'
>>
>>50726157
>One homebrew
I've not tried it so I can't attest to its balance. I still think it's an idiotic idea to give the monk access to fireball.

>90% copy-pasta fluff and like no real content
No arguments there, it blew chunks, but it did contain 2 archetypes that came from UA. With so much more UA to work with, we can hope for more next time.
>>
>>50726083
I ran out of points about when the wizard ran out of spell slots. So the amount was felt right. There were times we had to run away because our DM doesn't make long rests easy in PotA's mega dungeon.
I almost never dolled out the full 5 psi points for the weapon because it wasted my self healing when I inevitably dropped below half. normally I would do 1 to 3 psi points at a time.

Something needs to change, but it isn't clear what. Maybe switch to a short rest recharge like monk just to make the numbers tracking smaller.
>>
>>50726169
EDDY YOU LAZY
EDDY FIX RANGERS AND WO4E ALREADY
YOU SO LAZY EDDY
>>
>>50726160
Duly noted.

>>50726120
So then we have a cantrip spamming class.... and all the problems that comes with it.

Sorry anon, I just don't see that as the way to go. Maybe if I were to rewrite the entire class so that psi points are used to enhance or modify cantrips. Making the original cantrip into an AoE or line effect for a couple of psi points, for example. Or adding rider effects such as charm and fear or so forth... Hmm.......
>>
>>50726179
Ah wow. thats surprising. Well shit, there goes that idea to fix the class. Hm.

Fuck. Give me a bit. I need caffeine.
>>
>>50726201
Congratulations, you've finally come to the conclusion that the Mystic is a shitty class at its core and requires a complete new build from the ground up rather than attempting to fix it or simply staple it onto the working aspect of another class.

You're going to have to fundamentally rebuild the Mystic if you don't want to end up with something shitty.
>>
>>50726035
"Another int-based caster" is not a concept. The concept behind the mystic, as well as its equivalent in previous editions, is "someone who uses modern science-fiction style psychic powers in a pseudo-medieval fantasy setting." It's always been a weird and unwanted addition, even more so than the monk.
>>
>>50726257
>i dont like muh psychics to touch muh magics
>its gross

Yeah, no, sorry buddy. You dont have to add it if you dont want it, but the vast majority of the playerbase disagrees with you here.

>>50726244
Yeah, it took me a while. The class is just a clusterfuck. Individually the ideas are pretty neat. Disciplines instead of spells so they have a set limit on what their capabilities are is neat. Translating that onto another class doesnt mesh well though. I mean, thats what Mearls is doing with the immortal - just making it a fighter archetype. I figure thats also whats going to be happening with the other base classes. You know, rogue, monk fighter. the only one that doesnt fit is the true psion since the wizard cant really do that..
>>
>>50724233
No religious symbol despite clearly being a deity. Blank medallion around its neck they have to turn. That way it's not dependent on any actual lore, and any clever PC can pick up on the weirdness.
>>
>unwanted addition, even more so than the monk
>implying most people don't love monks and psionics
>implying that most setting don't have psionics and monastic orders in them by default
>implying they haven't been a staple of D&D since the earliest editions
>>
File: aYwmB5x_700b.jpg (60KB, 635x574px) Image search: [Google]
aYwmB5x_700b.jpg
60KB, 635x574px
>>50720725
>>50720917
>>50720945
>>50721026
>>50721116
>>50721274
>>50721502
>>50721504
>>50721604
>>50721740
>>50722217
>>50722549
>>50724336
>>50724211
>>50724785
>>50724869
>>50724879
>>50724933
>>50725365
>>50725457
>>50725882
>>50725877
>>50725908
>>50725977
>>50726102
>>50726244
Gotta say, as much as people shit on generals, they seem to do pretty damn good work as containment threads.
The sheer amount of weaponized autism on display in here is beyond carcinogenic.Useful, helpful resources (see >>50721947) and reasonable discussion based post such as >>50721344 >>50723793 get completely ignored in favor of pants on head retarded theoretical bullshit that has literally never come up in a single real life game ever.

So in short, God bless you /5eg/! We salute you for doing god's work, keeping all the mongoloid groinheads from shitting up the rest of the board!
гpaдa мaть Poccия!
>>
>>50726257
>>50726308
Stop arguing, you're both right. Psionics was always inspired by science fiction and didn't always make sense in a fantasy context, but it's now a staple of many fantasy worlds. Either use it or don't, nobody's forcing you.
>>
>>50726132
Disguise self, alter self, silent image, levitate, speak with dead can all be taken at will, which gives you incredible flexibility.

Pact of the chain is a crazy feature which takes all that flexibility and doubles it.
>>
>>50726333
What do you want us to do with the fucking resource? Discuss it? We said "thank you," saved the link, and moved on.
Stating races is interesting, I'll grant you that, but Anon seemed satisfied with the first answer.
Also I don't know who >>50725908 >>50726102 is but he sounds extremely handsome.
>>
File: 1c8.jpg (25KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
1c8.jpg
25KB, 612x380px
>>50726333
>discussing the game is not allowed
>you are only allowed to discuss what I deem is fun
>>
What spells would a wild magic sorcerer conman take at level 1, Mage armor is one cause of plot reasons but what's the other.
>>
>>50726358
People think Warlock is supposed to be a wizard alternative, but really it's a magical rogue alternative. Once you realize that, the class becomes a huge pile of fun.
I once used disguise self to infiltrate a guard unit. They tied me up and starting beating me and yelling at me for information. I resisted valiantly, but eventually broke and removed the disguise. They were extremely shocked because they thought they were just hazing the new guy.
Funniest role-playing I've had in years. Not to mention literal hours of fun interaction with my (sadistic, capricious) archfey.
Warlock 5eva.
>>
Are there any particular shanenigans with Anti Magic Field? I mean it's cool, but as a caster I can't cast spell, and if somehow I can go melee, the magic items don't work and I can't overcome the common resistance to nonmagic bludgeon/piercing/slashing. The only option I see is using magic projectiles.
>>
>>50722529
>>50722595
Why would you go STR instead of DEX though? I mean besides the idea of a burly archer sounding neat.
>>
>It's a thread about 5e, you shouldn't be complaining about the usefulness of mechanics but instead about how to make characters and such!

The problem with chracters is that they're too subjective. Often, someone will ask 'Which class to I pick?', to which the answer is more 'do what you want to do.'

So, most discussion should naturally be 'Okay, so which class is the best at X, then?' which leads to things such as 'Why is X better than Y?' which leads to arguments.
The only thing that can be refined is the people making the arguments themselves, who need to be more willing to accept that they should not be arguing for the sake of arguing but for enlightenment.
>>
>>50726358
That might've been the difference. Guy i was playing with took pact of the tome instead. Had silent image early on, then traded it for more EB push around shenanigans He did have a familiar though..
>>
>>50721974
In the Magic Initiate case, your shillelagh is Wis-based because it comes from druidic spell list, so it will be less sexy than the shillelagh got via the tome.
>>
>>50726381
>pretending that the summation of arbitrary numbers over the course of 16 levels giving a -7.3281965% resultant with respect to vector i is even noticeable in game
You wanna know how I can tell you don't have a group to play with?

>>50726417
Well said anon
>>
>>50726483
>wanna know how i got these scars?

Not really anon. Not at all in fact. You can go about your merry way now. Happy holidays.
.... youre still here? politely GTFO.
>>
>>50726410
>besides the idea of a burly archer sounding neat.
Why do you need another reason? Not everyone is trying to optimize all the time.

>>50726417
This anon gets it.
>>
>>50726483
>math is not fun
found the arts degree
>>
>There are people playing D&D that don't get off to probability calculations.
Why?
>>
>>50726483
>>50726562
>>50726581
>Okay, so let's say I'm a 1st-level fighter and I'm fighting another 1st-level fighter - it literally doesn't get any more basic than that.
>We both have a completely reasonable 18 AC (chain mail + shield, scalemail/breastplate + shield with dex - take your pick). We likewise both have +5 to hit - we're humans with the default array, or whatever. Basic numbers for basic fighters right out of the book.
>The chance for an attack to land in this situation is 40% (13+ on a d20). Your average damage per hit is 7.5 (with the best one-handed weapon, 1d8+3), so your typical damage per round is 3.
>Now let's give both of us +1 swords. Our accuracy improves to 45% (12+ on a d20). Our average damage increases to 8.5 (as before, +1). So average DPR is now 3.825.
With just that +1 to damage, we increased DPR by 27.5%. This is huge - more than a quarter. It's comparable to letting one of these fighters swing a greataxe one-handed.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but this shit makes me moister than an oyster.
>>
>>50726623
2nd post attempt, still missed a maymay arrow. Fuck it.
>>
>>50726145
You are forgetting about valor bard, which is literally perfect, some people just don't like the flavor.

Also EK is more fighty than casty, but beyond that I don't know what you dislike about it. It has the highest DPR and best defenses out of all the gishes, it just doesn't have many spells or slots.
>>
>>50726634
commit sudoku.

>>50726638
oh shit, youre right, i forgot valor bard.
>inb4 i forgot about dre.
>>
File: XF4zUpY.jpg (226KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
XF4zUpY.jpg
226KB, 1366x768px
>>50726604
>>50726623
>"At fourth level I can pick this feat that lets me reroll three times a day"
>A-Anon...
>>
Elven Dex EK, hot or not?

I feel like whenever people talk EK they're mainly thinking of STR and heavy armor.
>>
>>50726693
quick question: Why?

Shiled+whip+booming blade/GFB shenanigans?
>>
>>50726693
Nah, usually it's Dex with shield.

Unless they wanna show off max DPR wank, EK is super good as a defensive fighter because of things like shield, absorb elements, counterspell, haste, and when you hit level 7 you can blade ward+ attack every turn. The only reason to go strength is 2 handers with gwm, so if you skip out on that party you can be un-killable.
>>
Anons! How incredibly overpowered is this homebrew Ice Element subrace for the Genasi?

Core Genasi Stats:
Ability Score Modifier: +2 Constitution
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Normal (some subraces have Darkvision instead)
Subrace: Choose 1 subrace and gain additional racial traits.

Ice Genasi Subrace:
Ability Score Increase: +1 Intelligence
Frigid Flesh: An Ice Genasi has Resistance to Cold Damage. Additionally, an Ice Genasi can cast Freezing Touch as a Cantrip with this trait; treat this as Shocking Grasp, but inflicting Cold damage rather than Lightning. Intelligence is the casting ability score used for Freezing Touch.
Heart of Ice: An Ice Genasi has Advantage on any Wisdom saves made to resist Charm effects.
>>
>>50726810
Basically a Con Elf high Elf without weapon skills but with cold resistance. Definitely balanced.
>>
>>50726810
I was originally going to say it was overpowered due to the advantage against charm effects, but then I remembered that elves get that anyway. Super balanced.
>>
>>50724249
>if you had ideas
>what would your ideas be
wut
>>
File: TheOnlyReasonableCourseOfAction.png (22KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
TheOnlyReasonableCourseOfAction.png
22KB, 300x250px
>>50726652
Forgive me, master.
>>
>>50726810
You thinking of doing more for the other paramental planes?
>Ooze Genasi
>>
>>50726810
>>50726836
If you want something new and innovative, you should swap out the cantrip for an ability.

Ice Tomb:

As an action you can freeze yourself in a protective armor that completely encases you. For 1 Minute or until the armor breaks, you gain temporary health equal to double your total class levels. This armor breaks if you lose all your temporary hit points, or if you replace your current temporary hit points with another source of temporary hit points.
>>
>>50726836
>>50726880
Heck, elves get Advantage on all saves vs. Charm and also on saves vs magical Sleep effects, but thanks so far.

>>50726995
Not so much the paraelemental planes as alternate elements. I have a Blight Genasi I've been trying to figure out powers of for a while, and I do have drafts of Storm, Metal, Wood, and Sun Genasi complete. Plus Ravenloftian "Dread" Genasi of Grave, Pyre, Mist and Blood.

Actually... I'm still trying to figure out how to finish off my "Wasteland" Genasi - Dust, Rain, Magma, Blight and Smoke. Maybe the next thread would be willing to help me figure out how to pull them off, seeing as how this one is getting past its bumping limits.

>>50727000
Huh, I hadn't thought about that. Thank you, that's pretty interesting.
>>
>>50726810

>>50727000
>>50727000
>>50727000

Also, Elsa UA when?
>>
>>50721947
Thanks anon!
>>
Somebody better make a new thread before we lose continuity.
>>
>>50727485
>>50727485
>>50727485

New thread up - my first time starting one of these, hope I got it right.
>>
>>50721947
Holy shit this is the greatest resource I've ever seen for 5e.
Thread posts: 368
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.