[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Kobold Dragon Hunting Party

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 377
Thread images: 34

File: latest.jpg (111KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
111KB, 600x800px
>Latest News
Monk UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Last thread: >>50707424

What do you want to see come back from earlier editions?
What DON'T you want to see come back?
>>
>>50713148
Its as large as a small ship, and moves 8 miles per hours, 12 if it uses air currents or tailwind.
>>
>>50713149
>4e was the best edition
>8 int wizard
>bugbearmont
>>
>>50713187
To be fair, 8 int wizards wouldn't work in 4e.
>>
>>50713153
>>50713186
I'm not really sure what the atmosphere of the forgotten realms is like.
They woudn't need to worry about breathing if it was a closed system with some pressurized air chamber or something.

If you use a telescope, you simply cannot avoid detection. Of course, the telescope would have to scour to find you.

A human won't be able to breathe very well above 8000ft and will suffer altitude sickness.

No matter what, at 8mph, it WILL cast a visible, easily trackable shadow on a clear day. However, due to its size and the nature of shadows it's very unlikely anyone will spot it by its shadow alone.

A human eye can supposedly discern a car's headlights at a range of 3km.
So, a ship like that you probably want to be even further, but you can't go any higher than 8000 feet without danger.

So, likely, unless the atmosphere is different to earth or there's a breathing system or everyone is acclimitized to high altitudes, it'll probably be around 7000 or 8000 feet in the sky, and it will still be visible from the ground.

Might need to go more like 25000 feet into the sky if they want to avoid detection.

Of course, if it's cloudy below where they're flying, they might be able to get away with some things.
>>
>>50713149
>What do you want to see come back from earlier editions?
Roll under attribute for skill resolution

>What DON'T you want to see come back?
THAC0
>>
I want my players to have to fight one of my Magic decks. How would I stat a planeswalker NPC?
>>
>>50713261
Would it be unfair for the players if an air elemental flings them off the airship with its whirlwind ability? Unless its the group wizard, monk or maybe the fighter (due to high hp) the player is pretty much boned.
>>
>>50712079
>>50712525
>counterspell
Can't counterspell what is a class feature and not a spell
>antimagic
You're not concentrating on it, so the effect continues independent of you even if you fall unconscious (or die). The target creature is on another plane of existence.

I repeat: >the creature is banished for 1 minute (as in the banishment spell, no concentration required) if it isn't on its plane of origin
No concentration, no interrupting the duration.
>>
Why are animals so underpowered?
By RAW, a lion taking the dash action will barely clear 11 miles an hour

IRL lions can run 40 mph, sometimes more. That should really give them a dashing speed of ~350 feet (obviously regular movement would be slower)
>>
Anyone have a blacksmith build?
>>
>>50713423
Depends on their level.

Maximum fall damage is 20d6.
If an average result is rolled, that's 70 damage.
A character with a maximum HP of 36 on full HP will survive an average fall, in that case, but will then have to succeed on three death saves.

Apparently, teleporting negates any velocity you have according to someone because your speed is set to zero moving through whatever teleportation plane you go through, but I'm not sure that's in the rulebook.
A monk can reduce fall damage by 5x(monk level) if I recall right. That should be enough for them to survive.
A wizard is honestly not likely to have feather fall unless they're prepared for an airship journey. In which case.. Yes, they should be prepared.
I think a rogue should honestly make a parachute for themselves, even if it only half-works.

I suppose you should encourage the players to have defences, but there should probably be railings or something that makes it hard for the players to get so easily thrown off.
At least let the players make an attempt to hold onto the railings through some sort of ability check, and give other players a chance to grab on and stop them from blowing away.

Players could also be careful with their positioning.

Everything you can so it's not just 'you get hit, you fall off'.
>>
>>50713556
Because by RAW, such a speed would mean ludicrously fast overland travel speeds.

DnD is not a simulation.
>>
>>50713556
Combat speed is not long distance speed. Otherwise, two levels in rogue suddenly makes you 50% faster for some odd reason.

Long distance speed is typically greater than in-combat speed, I believe.

In combat, you're assumed you aren't sprinting everywhere, I guess. A rogue taking the dash action is merely moving quickly while also doing their usual action and other things, otherwise they'd be sprinting like another player and taking an action at the same time.
>>
>>50713556
Gives me an idea for a lion style encounter if its speed was actually 350ft/rd

Party of four level 2 adventurers vs a lion.
Lion is given Mobile so it can move in attack and move out. Entire combat is the lion blitz attacking one person at a time and disengaging until the party can figure out a way to stop it from slowly offing them.

More like a puzzle than an encounter.
>>
So I have a player bard reaching Vallakis for the first time, and we're running CoS at high level, and I'm thinking wether or not I should spice things up by screwing with Rictavio, but I'm not entirely sure hiw just yet.
>>
>>50713633
>I ready an action to attack the lion when he gets close

Wow, so hard.
>>
What's a neat way for a wizard to cheat in a chess game against an opponent with 5e mechanics? Said wizard would be level 8 or 9 and the opponent would be a construct immune to charm effects.
>>
>>50713621
Well that's not a lion's overland speed either, it's the lion's sprinting speed.
>DnD is not a simulation.
Ebin meme friend

>>50713633
>Long distance speed is typically greater than in-combat speed, I believe.
No, short distances is where you should be fastest.
>In combat, you're assumed you aren't sprinting everywhere, I guess
So what's the dash action then? Dashing should be when you're going at your absolute top maximum speed.

50 feet isn't an unreasonable speed for in combat, but animals should be able to sprint in much higher bursts
>>
>>50713639
I honestly kind of feel like this was the intention behind the design of Pounce
Animal runs up, hits the PC with a ton of force, get their opportunity attack, then gets the hell out of there before anyone can hit them.
>>
>>50713149
>What do you want to see
I'd like prestige classes, although I guess archetypes sort of serve the same role. Kinda. Also a viable STR based unarmed fighter would be nice.
>What do you NOT want to see?
A crap load of feat bloat. I didn't mind bloat way too often in most other stuff in 3.5/PF but what was really bad was feats. So much fucking bloat there. I'm glad 5e decided to go with the more focused and powerful feats rather than fifty thousand shit feats
>>
>>50713709
To be clear, are you saying an in DnD game wizard wants to cheat at a game of (in DnD) chess, that is identical to real-world chess?
>>
>>50713709
He shoots his opponent with a ray of Disintegrate

come on there is no room for cheating in chess
>>
>>50713709
You can't, because pretty much all spells have either a vocal or somatic component, and those are all big/loud and obvious unless you have subtle metamagic
>>
>>50713709

Animate Objects on the chess pieces. Have them roll stealth to move around the board favorably.
Watch it go "DOES NOT COMPUTE"
>>
Around what level do you get a plate armor usually ?
>>
>>50713709
Boring route: Self buffs so you can pass any rolls related to the chess game. Cast them all before the game so no one thinks anything is up.

Fun route: >>50713838
>>
>>50713735
>In 1 minute, you can move a number of feet equal to your speed times 10.
>In 1 hour, you can move a number of miles equal to your speed divided by 10.
>For daily travel, multiply your hourly rate of travel by the number of hours traveled (typically 8 hours).
>For a fast pace, increase the rate of travel by one-third.
>For a slow pace, multiply the rate by two-thirds.
DMG p243
>>
>>50713423

Give the players an abundance of ropes they can throw to each other, and plenty of warning that the air elemental has the ability to toss people overboard.

Maybe have the air elemental knock a no-name NPC off the boat first, so the players get the picture.
>>
>>50713872
That's not my problem.
Let me put this another way: I don't have a problem with a lion only being able to travel 5 miles in a day, my problem is that by RAW it would take a lion 20 seconds to run the 100 meter dash.
>>
>>50713917
>lion can travel 140 miles in 8 hours
>this is okay
>>
>>50713883

Have the captain at the beggining of the journey go "AGH, WHAT THE BLOODY HELL A' YOU SCA''YWAGS DOING PRANCING AROUND ME DECK WITHOUT YE FOOKIN HARNESSES ON? THE ROPE, YE DUNCE, TIE IN THE ROPE. YE WANNA FALL DOWN FIVE HUNDRED FEET TO THE GROUND, BE ME BLOODY GUEST, BUT I AINT PAID NO FARE TA PICK UP ARSEHOLE JAM FROM THE DIRT, YA HEAR ME?"
>>
>>50713261
If Spelljammer is anything to go by, Toril's atmosphere is surrounded by phlogiston of uniform pressure, so you can go as high as you want and don't really have to worry about escape velocity or a hard vacuum.
>>
>>50713998
>REMEMBER: SPELLJAMMER IS FANFICTION
>>
>>50713149
I want tiered levels of play to come back from 4e. With bounded accuracy tiers, it would be great.
>>
>>50713797
Yes that's correct.
>>
>>50714005
Then where does Boo come from?
>>
>>50713838
I like this one a lot, even better make it move in the construct's favor and accuse IT of cheating.
>>
>I think STR monk is alright from level 1 to 10.

How retarded am I ?
>>
>>50714058
Quarterstaff?
>>
>>50714026
>tiered levels of play

>>50714046
>Boo

what did he mean by this
>>
>>50714058
>I want to make an objectively worse decision when building my character

Sure senpai.

>tfw Dex is literally Str++ for monks
>>
>>50714058

It's useful for very niche builds such as grappler monk. But unless you've taken mobility you're going to be about as tough as a candle in a wind storm.
>>
>>50714082
The space hamster of Minsc in the Baldurs Gate computer games
>>
>>50714039
The traditional way is to say "chess is for losers" and magically annihilate the construct.
>>
>>50714072
heavy 2h weapon with GWM

>>50714133
what if you wear armor.

the idea is to get stunning strikes but also actually deal damage. Not saying it's good, I just think it's alright.
>>
>>50714374
dude...
>>
>>50714374
So... Kensei?
>>
How would you handle a high mountain environment? I have a setting in mind with a lake high up a mountain range, where the air is thin. What challenges should that pose. Also what creatures would be appropriate?
>>
>>50714427
Yes, kensei is way better. But it is UA.

Just I was comparing kensei with STR shadow monk and thought the latter was actually alright.

If you assume monks spam their ki on stuns, you don't lose out THAT much.
>>
>>50714470
Altitude sickess = exhaustion can come easier, and stacking exhaustion too quickly can be fatal

Harpies, yetis, wyverns, perytons, stone giants
>>
Where can I find some stats for just "a big fucking snake?" I want to include one in a campaign but I can't seem to find one in the Monster Manual. Not a Naga, just a big dumb snake.
>>
>>50714643
>50714643
Try looking under giant constrictor snake
>>
File: Warpstone.jpg (664KB, 843x910px) Image search: [Google]
Warpstone.jpg
664KB, 843x910px
how would you do the effects of warpstone in 5e?
>>
>>50714374

Then you're wearing armor which means you can't use martial arts, improved mobility, or unarmored defense. At which point, unless you're going shadow monk for their useful utility, you might as well ask yourself why you aren't playing a fighter or paladin.
>>
>I'll give one preview here - I think mystic is going to shift to d6, psychic warrior type moves to fighter. Like/hate? #psionics #wotcstaff
I hope you're inundating his Twitter with HATE, /5eg/. Don't be a fag and ruin this for us.
>>
>>50714762
magical unobtainium-plotdevicate?
>>
>>50714676
thanks
>>
>>50714841
What the fuck is mystic
>>
>>50714908
>Counterspell
>Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell
If the spell is made Subtle, it has no somatic components, so you can't see it being cast. Can't counterspell what you can't see.

I guess you can argue that if it has verbal components you can see their lips moving in a spellcasty way? But if it only has M components then it's totally impossible. Their hand remains perfectly still on their arcane focus or whatever and the spell just happens before you can react.
>>
>>50713149
Asking for advice about the crunch
http://pastebin.com/1ecrVTKt
>>
>>50714993
psionic class they're working on
was in an UA with a castery subclass and a fighty subclass, now they're going to split it in the
>>
>>50715012
Arbitrary flat penalties aren't really used in 5e, it's usually either advantage or minus 1d4 or something. But sure why not. Btw it's spelled 'proficiency.

The bite attack being 1d10 (more than any 1H weapon) and getting maximized damage without limitation seems overpowered. Lizardmen (Volo's Guide to Monsters) get 1d6+STR bite damage, and can steal life once per rest with it.

Bonus weapon proficiencies probably shouldn't be a thing if the race doesn't live really long. For example, dwarves and elves get them, because they live for hundreds of years, and probably spend 20 years of their lives just practicing weapons. But the Triton (VGM) doesn't get net and trident proficiency.

Omniphagia should define which attribute is used for the saving throw. Also, you should maybe say whether the lifesteal works on objects? I guess it's not much more OP even if it does because it's only once per day.

Not sure why Tinkering is based on Perception, it sounds mroe intelligence based to me. Also it doesn't make sense to me that a weapon breaks down by itself after a minute even if you don't attack with it. I don't know what would be a better alternative, however. And what's the DC, determined by the DM for each situation? Also goblins should probably get darkvision.

Wild omens should probably be limited.
>>
>>50714996
Of note, is that subtle counterspell isn't 100% fool proof.
Spells with material components can still be countered even when subtle.
>>
>>50715197
But you're holding your hand on a staff. Then you cast the spell while still holding the staff without moving your hands. Then you've cast the spell and nothing has moved. How can you "see" that?
>>
>>50714840
>Martial Arts
GWM compensate for Martial Ats and furry of blows

>Unarmored defense
AC through armor is not as good but it's fine. it takes 3 ASIs to surpass plate armor. both start at 16.

>Improv mobility
you lose out
>>
Kensai is good.
Druid UA is best UA.
Fighter UA is predictably worst UA.
Bladelocks still suck.
>>
>>50715232

Sure you can use a greatsword and such, my question is - what is it about monk specifically that makes you want to do a str based GWM master build? My point wasn't that those things are so good that you're fucked by taking str, but rather that they're the things that give it a lot of that monk flavor. It's like saying "I want to do a zen barbarian build, and never use rage!" You can do it, and 5E is solid enough that it will work - but why take that class specifically over others if you don't want the flavor and iconic abilities?
>>
>>50715222
Guess that comes down to the DM if they'd rule the staff must have some kind of effect to make up for the component or not.

I'd personally rule regardless if there's a material component that even with an arcane focus it could be countered since I like simplicity.
Then again, that opens up the can of worms of 'Hah no, got you, he wasn't actually casting a spell, just flailing his hands and mumbling under his breath. Lose your 3rd level slot and he will now begin to ACTUALLY cast...
>>
>>50715278
Stunning strike and shadow step
Stunning is the iconic monk ability imo, along with fighting with your fists and unarmored fighting. This just make a flavor of fighter/monk like holy knights, stunning with a greatmaul.
>>
>>50714993
>psion is a full caster
>psychic warrior is a 2/3rds caster
>both work in the base Mystic class and spells and PP are balanced against the damage and per-rest uses of Clerics, which is another d8, medium armor+shields class with additional class abilities and archetype features
>NOPE WE BETTER PORT THE HITTY MYSTIC TO A FIGHTER ARCHETYPE FOR BALANCE
>it's going to be as non-casty as an Eldritch Knight when it's supposed to be more casty than a Paladin
literally why would they think this is a good idea
>>
>>50714058
>>50715384
Anon, I am literally playing a Fighter1/Monk6 right now, wearing armor and using a warhammer and shield. It's fun and effective as fuck. I got Shadow Step at the end of last session and we'll be playing tonight as soon as my DM gets home from work.

Don't let your dreams be dreams.
>>
>>50715438
how will gishfags ever recover
>>
Going to stat a proficient 8INT wizard, what level should I make the build? 6-8 seems a nice practical and likely playing level.
>>
>>50715472
>Don't let your dreams be dreams.
Thanks anon, just what I needed I can go to bed now

PS : Will you get more fighter levels and when?
>>
Fight 1 / Favored Soul Sorcerer X
Half-Elf
15(+1) 8 15(+1) 8 10 14(+2)

AC 20 (Plate armor + Haste), 25 with shield spell. Blink and Mirror Image.

Combat sequence: attack,extra attack, haste attack, quicken GFB.

Is this a good gish?
>>
>>50715620
>multiclass
faggot
>>
>>50715620
Pure Favoured Soul 6 10CHA guy reporting
Your initiative will be poor, so very vulnerable to getting one shot if your DM likes surprises.
Quickened GFB also feels off, since you'd really only be able to do it as often as you have sorc points which would normally go to shielding or regaining a 3rd level slot.

The fighter level also stacks less with FS due to already having med+shield.

Don't forget to make sure its the War domain. At 7th you'll get Freedom of Movement, which with subtle spell will make you immune to cheeky shit like hold person. (Oh I failed? I subtle FoM and break free. Make sure you always have a belt tied around your arm/hand as the material component so it's always on you.)

Never understood why people hate using a feat on Weapon master for a great sword or something either. I'd take that over slowed down casting any day. (Then again, I'm a 3.5e whore so its engrained in my DNA to never lose casting levels)
>>
>>50715562
>Will you get more fighter levels
We're doing SKT and my Dex is only 13 so I feel like hitting Monk 7 for Evasion would be worthwhile if we intend to tango with Storm or Fire Giants. I feel like there could be a lot of Dex saves flying around there, and being able to Still Mind away charm/fright would be useful too. At that point it'd feel silly to not grab Monk 8 for the ASI alone and cap out my Strength.

But after that I'd definitely go Fighter the rest of the way. Monk 10's purity of body is not appealing (i'm also a dwarf so whatever, poison), and Cloak of Shadows at 11 seems redundant if I can just teleport around as long as it's dark. The only thing interesting past Monk 8 is the "run up walls and across water" part of Unarmored Movement at 9, which I would argue still functions in armor/shield despite the +speed part not working.

As for more Fighter levels, I don't think it's impossible that I could end up 3/8 before the end of the campaign since it seems like we're foiling multiple giant types instead of just one. It would be nice to pick up some maneuvers, especially since Stunning Blow means I can force creatures to auto-fail things like Trip, Disarm, or Pushing Attack.
I do have an axebeak I stole and barded from some orogs so Knight could be interesting if it survives til then, but Marking is always good.
>>
>>50715620
20 AC so no shield , meaning a 2h wep, then just go variant human and pick GWM and don't rely on CHA spells too much.
>>
why do people have a such a hard-on for casters in armor
dude you don't need armor when you're surrounded by a fucking wall of force bro
>>
>>50715718
You're right, Paladins and Clerics should wear light armor
>>
>>50715177
>Arbitrary flat penalties aren't really used in 5e, it's usually either advantage or minus 1d4 or something. But sure why not.
I know that, but your sugestions don't scale up for higher levels.

>Btw it's spelled 'proficiency.
Ops, thank you.

>The bite attack being 1d10 (more than any 1H weapon) and getting maximized damage without limitation seems overpowered.
Are you considering that this attack can only be used once per turn? It is a natural attack after all. And the maximization has limitations, it will only happen with unarmored things in practice.

>Bonus weapon proficiencies probably shouldn't be a thing if the race doesn't live really long.
Why?

>For example, dwarves and elves get them, because they live for hundreds of years, and probably spend 20 years of their lives just practicing weapons.
They do? And why would it take 20 years to learn how to use a weapon?

>But the Triton (VGM) doesn't get net and trident proficiency.
It doesn't meant it isn't possible.

>Omniphagia should define which attribute is used for the saving throw.
Noted.

>Also, you should maybe say whether the lifesteal works on objects? I guess it's not much more OP even if it does because it's only once per day.
It does, and objects get half damage and so, half healing.

>Not sure why Tinkering is based on Perception
Because it depends on finding things that can be used to improvise a weapon.

>Also it doesn't make sense to me that a weapon breaks down by itself after a minute even if you don't attack with it.
And if it said "attack 10 times?" It's the same as one minute in turns.

>And what's the DC, determined by the DM for each situation?
I considered being like that.

>Also goblins should probably get darkvision.
These ones don't really have a why.

>Wild omens should probably be limited.
Why? Do you know how the augury spell works?
>>
>>50715689
> not wearing a suit made of belt and zipper
>>
>>50715728
the people who unironically multiclass for armor, not the classes with spells that naturally get it
>>
>>50715718
We have hardon for caster with greatsword, armor just help with that.

>but but but why not play ...
We just want to play this fantasy character, not another more efficient one.
>>
>>50715766
>We have hardon for caster with greatsword, armor just help with that
So play an EK
>>
>>50715830
Both of you said "caster"
Why would you suggest an EK
>>
>>50715689
Initiative can be fix with feat.

Although, I don't think it's that bad. Getting one shot by DM is a red flag and you should consider your DM's life choice.
>>
>>50715873
Because an EK is a caster
You're conflating "caster" with "full caster"
>>
>>50715692
BM with shadow monk sounds fun
>>
>>50715881
>look mom, i took magic initiate, i'm a caster now
kek
>>
File: latest.jpg (133KB, 400x566px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
133KB, 400x566px
>>50715762
>>
>>50715830
>but but but so just play an EK
Thanks anon, we hadn't thought of this.
>>
>>50715924
Magic initiate has casting progression?
Wew I'm on that shit now

>>50715932
>no but I WANT to be suboptimal - it's part of the appeal
wew
>>
>>50715973
>disdains suboptimization
>suggests EK
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
You realize if you took three non-caster levels you'd still get 2nd Circle spells before an EK, right
>>
>>50715973
>This fantasy character, not another more efficient one.
It's like you cannot read.
>>
>>50716009
The other problem is that he's not even suggesting a more efficient character, but a less capable one.
>>
>>50716002
>EK
>uncompetitive
You can pick up shield and absorb elements... on a fucking fighter.
Just think that through for a moment.
>>
>>50716044
But he wants to play a caster, not a martial who supplements his AC with passive protection spells.
>>
>>50716009
>it's part of the appeal bro
>>
>>50716078
You mean like haste?
Dimension door?
Fireball?
Hypnotic pattern?
Greater invisibility?
Banishment?
Mirror image?
Misty step?
Bro bruh bro bruh. Bro.
>>
>>50716113
I thought EK could only learn Abj and Evo spells
>>
>>50716113
With the exception of Mirror Image and Misty Step, you need to be level 13 to cast any of those--and fucking 19 for some of them.
You need to be 7 to cast one of those two, but 8 to cast both. That also precludes you knowing any other non-evoc/abjur spell.
And again, one of those is also a passive protection spell, and the other one might as well be but for its slight movement utility.
>>
>>50716206
They get one non-Abj or Evo at 3, 8, 14, and 20, but they can also replace those on level up.
>>
>he uses spells that arent in a published book

kys
>>
>>50716206
Read the "Spells known of 1st level and higher" bit again.
>>
>>50716212
>passive protection
What the fuck is that even?
Shield and absorb elements are fucking REACTIONS - there's nothing passive about them.
And these are some of the best spells on the wizard's list - if you're bitching about those spells, you're bitching about WIZARDS too.
>>
>>50716228

take a level in wizard and abuse the crap out of the spell book and ritual spellcaster
>>
>>50716228
>>50716232
Can't believe I missed that. So 1 spell known of any school of 1st-4th level of each level
That's cooler than I thought and makes EK much better in my mind.
Though I still like a full caster with a greatsword
>>
>>50716274
So, what, EK went from hot dog shit to merely lukewarm dog shit?
>>
>>50716288
It's way better than champion. It's better than battlemaster at least from levels 7-10, and it's a fucking FIGHTER that gets WIZARD SPELLS.
I really think how strong the fighter base class is is lost on you.
>>
>>50716212
And by that time Sorcerer already get Animate Object. GGEZ EK.
>>
>>50716308
>how strong the fighter base class is
Discounting Battlemasters, shittier than Barbarians and Paladins until level 11? Sweet, sign me up for a whole lot of autoattacking twice per round.
>>
>>50716288
I tend to find myself in low level campaigns (Haven't even played a 5e game above 7 yet despite playing in 3)
So the FS gets Haste at 5, while EK would get it at 13.

To me a 5th level EK would be almost as boring as a straight fighter out of combat, but a 5th level gish FS is still loads of fun out of combat with utility spells
>>
>>50716371
>I have never played a fighter and like to whine about them
yeah sounds about right
>>
>>50716397
Playing a Battlemaster Tavern Brawler, bro breh bro breh bruh bro. That's why I said "discounting Battlemasters", the only Fighters that do anything remotely interesting.
>>
>>50716416
>tavern brawler
yeah now it makes sense why you think fighters are shit - you actively try to be shit
>>
>>50714082
In 4e, there were three tiers. Heroic, Paragon, Epic. Each was ten levels, and each characterized the levels of challenges and plots PCs in those tiers usually dealt with. Each offered new customizations for your class as well.

I think adding bounded accuracy to those tiers would be interesting. Essentially masking three separate bounded accuracy tiers, such that the ac range in the tiers would be constrained, but relative to each other would be expansive.

For example the DC of hitting a heroic tier creature or succeeding in a heroic tier task might be 5 to 15.

Then you'd have a jump for Paragon with 20 to 25, then a jump to epic of 30 to 35.

For reference levels would be:

Heroic: 1-10
Paragon 11-20
Epic 21-30
>>
File: millingmen.webm (1MB, 450x360px) Image search: [Google]
millingmen.webm
1MB, 450x360px
>>50716445
>he doesn't understand Tavern Brawler / Battlemaster
I feel even sadder for you now than when I just thought you were a delusional EK fan.
>>
>>50716519
Oh I know how it works - it works in that you're an idiot who thought tavern brawler was a better choice than PAM~
>>
>>50716557
I have watched you get BTFO in these threads the past three nights, why are you still here
Are you trying to become the new Virt
>>
File: 5574-11011-3082.jpg (24KB, 491x727px) Image search: [Google]
5574-11011-3082.jpg
24KB, 491x727px
>>50713381
>>
>>50716587
All I do is rek you stupid sub-optimal autists while you whine and scream about nothing
It's fukn gr8 lamo
git gud at D&D you dicksucker LEL
>>
>>50716381

How boring an EK is out of combat depends entirely on what spells you take. Find Familiar opens up a bazillion options for what you can do out of combat. Suggestion or Invisibility are great utility picks as well.
>>
>>50716648
They're good for general use too.
>>
>>50713735
The issue is you'd have to change speeds dramatically for different situations.

Base speed can't be any faster - you can't move ridiculously fast while also weaving in between enemies.
Dash speed can't be any faster - this would create problems where you can't get anywhere in combat without dashing.

Simply put, your 'absolute sprint speed' is not your dash speed. That's just how it is.
If you want a player to do an all-out dash, it may be fine to allow a player to do even four times their speed.
>>
>>50716695

Yes indeed, I just meant that they have a lot of out of combat applications as well. Highlight of invisibility for me so far was our troll wizard 1) Spooking a bunch of barovians by pretending to be a ghost and 2) convincing a foolish apprentice that he would teach them the secrets of magical power if they let him inspect their spellbook... before casting invisibility and running away with it.
>>
>>50716519
>Oh hey dm, I want to back flip over the railing, and try to b8 the guy in fighting into being between me and a trap in the room.
>Okay anon, that's one opportunity attack on you, which he hits for a quarter of your HP
>Oh, and you fell more than ten feet, so that's 4 bludgeoning damage, and I need you to roll acrobatics to avoid falling prone. No? Well, okay, use the rest of your movement to get up.
>Oh, add that's a deception check to try to trick the guy, you fail.
>Realizing what you're doing he walks down the stairs on his turn and shoves you into the trap, which lucky for you dies 1d4 damage as an improvised weapon

Dnd just isn't cut out for wuxia shenanigans.
>>
>>50716487
We already have tiers
>1-4: Low tier. Cannot gain access to the higher fantasy stuff.
>5-10: Each class gets major features at level 5, such as an extra attack or whatever.
>11-16: Most classes get something notable at level 11. For example, improved divine smite is a big one. Fighters get a third attack.
>level 17-20: Level 9 spells come into play.

However, I don't like the idea of the bounded accuracy, so that a tier 1 thing can't do much to a tier 2 thing. 5e is set up so it's low powered, and there aren't big power gaps. Heck, there are characters who have an unavoidable one-shot against tiamat for fuck sake.
>>
>>50716740
EK is not a bad archetype. People who just never play casters don't understand that some of the spells you can pick up - on a fighter chassis no less - are fucking amazing spells.
>>
>>50716775

Yep they're quite strong. I'm playing one right now in SKT and enjoying it a great deal. Decided to pick up defensive duelist to give myself even more defensive options with my reaction and so I didn't have to grudingly eat the odd attack out not worth using shield on.
>>
>>50716774
Having played and loved Morrowind and other similar games, I like power gaps.

Setting up tiers of threats and challenges that are nigh impossible at a low level makes them super rewarding when you get to the high level. Breaking up bounded accuracy helps with that a ton.
>>
>>50716745
fuck you, I won't even explain why you're wrong because I'm fucking sick of these kinds of posts
>>
>>50716878
Aside from the 1d4 joke, you can't explain why I'm wrong, because I'm right.

5e is a terrible system to run any sort of combat game, especially stylized combat
>>
>>50716745
nice shitpost
>>
>>50716825
Setting things as 'you could beat this, in maybe ten levels time, but for now your only option is to run' is the sort of thing I hate.

Overpowered things limits your options. While that's good, I'd prefer it be 'You COULD fight it, but you'd be better off running'. And that's more like it is right now, a party could take down a high level monster, but they'd be better off not risking it.

That, and it's much more satisfying to take down something out of your league than to wait until a later level to beat it.

Honestly, I mostly have a problem because it feels like the DM shepherds the players with high powered monsters, and it's nice to have the feeling that you can still fight back.

Though, I suppose part of storytelling is often there's an insurmountable foe that the players strive to overcome, and when players are as trigger happy as they usually are it's really hard to make them want to retreat.

I remember when I got my players to retreat from a few goblins. They had good reason and it was a good call, but I'm happy to see they had brains.

.. Anyway, yeah, I don't really like high fantasy and I think going by 4e's tier system it's getting too far into there, and also you'd end up with power creep on dice again up to +40 to hit or whatever.

Does seem there are people who have different tastes to all that, though.
>>
>>50716924
You can still fight these things. The only thing I've changed is making them more difficult to hit, not impossible. And with prep time, you could feasibly do it.

Note that by level 10, an optimal build should have a 20 in their attack stat. Combine with proficiency, and even with the maximum AC in the Paragon tier a character could expect to hit the monster 1/5th of the time.
>>
>>50716745
>Oh hey dm, I want to back flip over the railing, and try to b8 the guy in fighting into being between me and a trap in the room.
>Okay anon, that'd be one opportunity attack on you if you didn't use one of the many things that stops opportunity attacks. You're not a swashbuckler, don't have mobility? Don't want to use your action to dodge or disengage? That's fine, you want to take the risk. Oh, he missed, good for you. Most of his damage came from multi-attack anyway which he can't use on reactions.
>Oh, you fell more than ten feet, but it's a short distance so I'll let you do an acrobatics to not fumble here. Oh, you succeeded it, since you have expertise in it, naturally.
>Oh, right, we'll need a deception check. Eh, you did okay, you're not sure if he's caught on or not. You'll have to see on his turn. You want to store a shove as a reaction action? Okay.
>He walks up, while cautious of the trap he expects this to be easy for you as you're retreating. However, he was a bit reckless, and he's next to you now... Oh, you want to use your reaction? Well, he's not quite in a place you could shove him in, but I'll let you instead try to step out of the way as he's coming and try and shove like that since you're clearly preparing for it. Roll athletics, I won't let you do acrobatics for this one. He'll be using acrobatics. Oh, he rolled a 2... He falls in and takes 1d4-1 bludgeoning damage from an improvised weapon from a trap with 8 strength.
>>
File: changeling.png (403KB, 402x615px) Image search: [Google]
changeling.png
403KB, 402x615px
Should a Changeling take the actor feat? Does a Changeling need to go 9 into assassin if they have said actor feat?
>>
>>50716745
Any action can go poorly if you roll poorly. You're not really proving anything by talking about the worst case scenario.
>>
>>50717023
I would.
That being said, changeling by RAW right now is terribly broken.
>>
File: avenger.jpg (207KB, 640x1745px) Image search: [Google]
avenger.jpg
207KB, 640x1745px
>>50717050
How so?
>>
>>50717067
Aaracokra are humanoids, merfolk are humanoids, your party's BSF is a humanoid... fuck dude.
You get everything when you need it for one fucking action.
>>
>>50717014
>Oh wait, the champion fighter was between you and him in initiative, and we skipped his turn. Let's go back.
>THANK YOU DM, I STAND STILL AND ATTACK FOUR TIMES
>Okay bud, looks like you hit four times, and that's a kill!
>Okay wuxia anon, looks like your cool stuff didn't happen, but that's okay, some guys are surrounding you after having turned off the millstone, I'm sure you can think of something.
>>
The problem with EK is that Bladesinger and FS shit all over it.
>>
>>50717216
EK does way more damage than bladesinger and is much much beefier.
d6
>>
Hi bros

I want to get my brother a D&D related Christmas present but don't know what to get him. I know he's the DM of his group and that's about it.

Anything cool/unique you all would recommend?

Thanks
>>
>>50717253
when in doubt buy dice
>>
>>50717253
some cool metal dice, or maybe a published adventure that he doesn't have (if he's into that sort of thing) or a sourcebook
>>
>>50717253
What's your price range?

Some decent/fancy dice are the easiest option. A dicebox could be nice too if you're willing to drop a bit more money on it (alternately you could build one yourself if you're crafty).
>>
How does 5e compare to pathfinder and why do you prefer it over pathfinder?
>>
File: 3.PF vs. 5e.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
3.PF vs. 5e.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50717309
>>
>>50717309
It's better than PF as a core system
Not as bogged down in mechanics and is much more balanced
>>
>>50717331
>>50717354
Can pathfinder content be converted to play in 5e?
>>
>>50713187
But 4th was the best edition
>>
>>50715472
this anon is cool
>>
>>50717309
5e is Probably better for general audiences, but not by much.
>>
>>50717375
Why not?
>>
>>50713187
4e was the best though, add the other lines of your post are just nouns, impossible to agree or disagree with.
>>
>>50717236
no actually it doesnt, but BM and champion do more than a bladesinger if we're still talking dpr
>>
>>50716989
Eh, 1/5 isn't all that bad.
I'm still cautious of DMs throwing bullshit and big powerlevels in 5e. I find everything being fairly close together comfy, especially in cases where there's a mix of levels involved.
I like being able to one-shot tiamat.

>>50717119
>turning off the millstone
Is that seriously the first thing they think of doing?
>>
daily reminder if you play past 10th level you are a loser lol
>>
>>50717410
>no actually it doesnt
4(1d10+17 (GWM+ MW +2))+(1d4+17)

Gimme a damage sequence for bladesinger than does more than that.
I'll wait~
Zutto~
>>
>>50717460
Fireball, on 40 kobolds
>>
>>50717236
> muh damage
Learn the system.
>>
>>50717472
single target

>>50717474
>>50717410
>no it actually doesn't
lamo.
>>
>>50717472
Fireball on 40 incapacitated scarecrows actually, as they autofail saves and are vulnerable to fire.
>>
>>50717236
EK doesn't have 18 no action attacks at +8 / 1d4+4 each round.
>>
Ulfrun the Dense.
Level 8 Conjuration Wizard Sage.
HP 66hp
AC 18AC
Speed 25ft
STR 19
DEX 10
CON 18
INT 8
WIS 14
CHA 8
Saves: Int, Wis.
Gear: Battleaxe, Fullplate.
Skills: History, Arcana, Insight, Religion, Smith's Tools.
Abilities & Traits: Darkvision, Dwarven Resileince, Stonecunning, Dwarven Combat & Armour training, Arcane Recovery, ASI(+1STR, +1CON, Heavy Armour Training), Conjuration Savant, Minor Conjuration, Benign Transposition.
Spell slots: 4-1st level, 3-2nd level, 3-3rd level, 2-4th level.
Cantrips: Booming Blade, Prestidigitation, Mage hand, Mending.
Spells: Absorb elements, Find Familiar, Fog cloud, Identify, Sleep, Shield, Magic Missile, Unseen Servant, Cloud of Daggers, Knock, Misty Step, Levitate, Counterspell, Haste, Leomunds Tiny Hut, Wall of Sand, Conjure Minor elementals, Fire Shield, Leomunds Secret Chest, Dimension Door.

Ulfrun is a wizard, a very lazy and poor one at that. He paid little attention in his studies, performed poorly on examinations and only barely managed to achieve the minimum passable grades to be released from the academy as a fully fledge wizard. Many who know him refer to him as "Ulfrun the Dense", a nickname he misunderstands the insult as praise for his stocky build and hardy figure. He perferred Conjuration magic, it was convenient he claimed, using it to shortcut many efforts in life by simply summoning an unseen servant to do it for him if he couldn't summon it himself, some have even claimed to see him teleport up a flight of stairs rather than walk them, others have seen him use a Secret Chest enchantment to keep a supply of snacks and sweet treats in. He never understood why most spellcasters shun armour, he never found it to interfere with his magic at all, simply yell the magic words and club the bastard upside the head, simple.
>>
>>50717460
>going EK and then going for great weapons rather than dexterity
>not considering negatives to hit
>assuming magic weapons in 5e
>assuming level 20, ever
No, wait a fucking moment
If you're going for damage, why are you using PAM and not including a reaction attack? Why not greatsword + GWF for 2d6 reroll 1 and 2s? Why not say the bonus action is GWM's bonus action? Why not include the critical calculations that generally favour the fighter's side as doubling 2d6 is better on a crit than a 1d6 and the crit chance remains unchanged by the -5 to hit?

If you're going to make a loaded argument, load it properly damnit and don't skimp on the details and get a fighter with 6 attacks per turn with the bonus attack quite probably becoming a 1d10 due to crit/kill chances. Then, don't forget an EK can cast haste on themself.
>>
>>50717508
>18
>>
>>50717460
okay so we're playing at level 20 then? sorry i didnt realize that lol my bad! xd

fuck off retard
>>
>>50717515
We don't care.
>>
>>50717525
When you factor in hit rates it still wipes the floor with bladesinger, as you know ^_^

I intentionally underplay damage calculations so people can't say shit like
>b-but you don't always get a reaction attack or GWM proc!

The magic weapon is LITERALLY from the SPELL magic weapon that EK can cast you brainless retard ^_^
>>
>>50717515
Mountain Dwarf if it wasn't clear enough.

He mostly relies on his physical prowess for the brute of his offense, cleaving his foes with Booming Blade and often supports himself with a Haste spell. His platemail armour is his defense, especially when supported by spells such as Absorb Elements, Shield, and occasionally Fireshield. Misty step and Dimension door are obvious to improve his mobility. Spells like Sleep, Magic Missile, Cloud of Daggers, Wall of Sand offer utility to a combat with no save or rolls to hit required, while Unseen Servant, Levitate, Tiny hut, Secret chest and Knock are creature comforts because he is a lazy bastard. Conjure Minor Elementals offer the large mass of power whenever a fight seems tough, summoning mephits to do his fighting for him. His familiar naturally is an overweight rat that he feeds far too much.
>>
>>50717535
what a great "argument" LAMO!
>>
>>50717515
>Smith's tools instead of Brewer's
C'mon son.
>>
>>50717546
Now hold on, I got one am enraptured by the concept of an 8 int wizard. It is so funny!
>>
>>50717546
But Anon, It's an 8 Int Wizard.
>>
>>50717515
>Leomund's Secret Chest
Sooooo baaaaaaad
>>
>>50717535

Not an argument.

>>50717559

Just because he's autistic doesn't mean he wasn't wrong. Assuming max level is pretty stupid.
>>
>>50717530
Yeah 18.
5th level animate objects = 10
6th level = 12
7th level = 14
8th level = 16
9th level = 18

That's 18*(1d4+4) = 117 damage
which is more than >>50717460 which is 109.5 damage.

Both are at +8 (and that's assuming +5 STR and +2 weapon) so no "muh accuracy excuse. The difference is that bladesinger doesn't require any action after the first round to do that damage.
>>
>>50717562
Shit, Brewers tools are clearly the lazier option. I must commit dwarven seppuku.

What do people think of the spell selection, I went with things that are no-save no-rolls, flat buffs or summons for the most part, splashed with a dash of "Lazy man comfort" spells.
>>
File: No, seriously..png (425KB, 1097x599px) Image search: [Google]
No, seriously..png
425KB, 1097x599px
>>50717550
>^_^
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>50717586
So is it better to assume level one?
Level ten?
I can set the bounds of my own argument, and level 20 is the end-all-be-all of PC potential.
>>
>>50717575
It's a poor mans bag of holding that you wouldn't keep anything valuable in. As long as you make sure to recast it every 2 months it is fine.
>>
>>50717594
>9th level animate objects
they also die to any single aoe~

also
>and +2 weapon
>>50717550
^_^
>>
>>50717603
I would say 10 since it has been statistically proven most games don't go much past that, but 11 is fine since fighter gets their 3rd attack then. Also the "end-all-be-all" of DPR won't matter when the wizard can meteor swarm, power word kill, and wish.
>>
File: 4998-15653-9175.jpg (11KB, 251x241px) Image search: [Google]
4998-15653-9175.jpg
11KB, 251x241px
>>50717515
>>
>>50717613
>poor man's bag of holding
It's *more expensive* than a bag of holding.
>>
>>50717631
At level 11 a fighter is going to out-damage a bladesinger.
Also DPR is what is being talked about.
I'm not doing a full-class comparison of wizard and fighter, I'm doing DPR. That's explicitly, clearly, and obviously been the topic.
>>
>>50717639
Holy shit, I knew it needed a small chest worth 50 but I didn't realise the other component. What the hell this spell is SO bad.
>>
>>50717639
Fuck, for 5,050gp, you could keep your shit in a chest at home and buy a Helmet of Teleportation to get things from it once a day.
>>
>>50717690
>What the hell this spell is SO bad.
YES! YES IT IS!
>>
>>50717625
> Moving goal post
Even if I'm playing along with you, Bladesinger is a wizard. They have shit tons of way to prevent AoE.

But since you're being a faggot, I'll just emulate you.

> Monster casts HOLD PERSON
> EK IS NOW DEAD AND DO NO DPR ^___^

Also using magic weapon instead of haste? ??
>>
Hey there again /5eg/. Since last thread I've been thinking about that Drunken Fist Monk archetype that I brought up. People told me it was kind of shit, so here we go.

Way of the Drunken Fist
3rd level: Flexible.

You gain Weapon Proficiency (Improvised Weapons.) Improvised weapons count as Monk weapons for you and you can use Martial Arts for improvised weapons that resemble no weapons or can be boosted. Improvised weapons have an additional +2 to hit and to damage in addition to your DEX modifier.

You can spend 2 ki to drink, gaining temporary hitpoints equal to 5 times your Con modifier. Drinking has no effect on your DEX

6th level:
Drunken Willow
Improvised weapons count as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
Patient Defense and Step of the Wind can be improved. By adding an extra ki point to either, you gain advantage on your next attack.

11th level:
Unpredictable strikes
Your Flurry of Blows has advantage due to your unpredictable movements. In addition, they have an additional +2 to hit and damage.

17th level:
Stubbornness of the Monkey:
Your temporary hitpoints from Drinking equal 10 x CON modifier.

Imbalanced or still shit?
>>
>>50717709
>They have shit tons of way to prevent AoE
Yeah? You mean the whole one way? If your method of damage dealing isn't very consistent, it can be pointed out as such.
Magic weapon (spell) lets you ignore the resistances and immunities of an incredibly big number of creatures in the MM and I'm not assuming a magic weapon (item) in 5e while haste doesn't.

EK is beefier and deals more damage than bladesinger. EK actually deals much more damage in a sustained fighter than battlemaster, on top of being beefier because of spells like shield and absorb elements.
>>
>>50717550
I mean, in theory, a bladesinger could do, with PAM and GWM at level 12 or so with 20 strength and 20 int:

>1d10+20
>1d10+20
>1d10+20 (Haste)
>1d4+20 (1d10+20 on crit/kill beforehand)
>1d10+20 (Reaction, though I've still yet to see the proof that booming blade warcaster can't work on PAM, considering one of the sage advices pretty much says 'the reaction attack of PAM must be with the polearm', which would do 1d10+20+3d8+4d8 damage)

But, that's assuming a load things like 20 in stats and everything hits (When you have +10 to damage, GWM kinda loses its value except on very low health targets).

However, an EK also at level 12 using haste will do:
>1d10+15
>1d10+15
>1d10+15 (Haste)
>1d10+15
>1d4+15 (1d10+20 on crit/kill beforehand
>1d10+15 (Reaction, also same booming blade bullshit is possible here)
You know what the difference there is?
EK does (15*6 = 90) +4d10 +1d4
Bladesinger does (20*5 = 100) +3d10 + 1d4

In such a case, bladesinger does more damage.

Of course, there's a billion reasons why all those calculations are bullshit and this never actually holds true in practice, but eh.
Whoever made the original point if it exists that EK does less raw damage if they're going all-out is stupid.
The argument here is about the fact that bladesinger is a full caster with good AC, and EK is less of a caster and more of a fighter that can cast shield/absorb elements / haste /hold person or whatever.

If it becomes an argument of wizard vs fighter...
>>
>>50717769
Level 12 isn't their "+int mod damage" breakpoint dude.
>>
>>50717761
>absorbed elements

we're using spells that arent in the books now? lol

>but it was in a pdf!!!

ifyou dont assume a magic weapon dont assume your dm will allow absorb elements
>>
>>50717769
>>50717797
Also, you can't fucking bladesing with a two-handed weapon.
>>
At level 20... wouldn't it be better for Bladesinger to cast Shapechange into Pitfiend?

Since you can use your class ability while Shapechange, Pitfiend attack get +5 from int and one extra mace attack.
>>
>>50717748
+2 to hit is completely and absurdly OP, especially at 3rde level.
Drunken Willow is fine but makes no sense from a flavor perspective.
Unpredictable Strike is so ridiculously OP that I suspect you're trolling.
>>
>>50717806
>we're using spells that arent in the books now
No one is this dumb.
>>
>>50717817
Pit fiends have multiattack dude.
>>
>>50717761
I'll give you a chance. Go through spell list again.
>>
>>50717859
I'll give you a chance - name more than one spell that can protect your concentration-requiring animate objects from an aoe~
>>
So our warlock summoned a Marilith and it nearly killed our entire party, the psudo-lich in my head told me that they respect strength and I was the one able to damage it the most, and she began to ignore the others and focus on attacking me. We managed to send her back to the Abyss but not before downing me. Just before I passed out she telepathically told me her name and said she looked forward to out next meeting.

so what are my chances, and how should I go about wooing her?
>>
Let's see target AC is 22 (Ancient Red Dragon)

Pit Fiend
+14 (60% chance to hit)
0.6(4d6+12+2d8+12+2d6+12+3d10+12) = 53.76 (and +21 damage if poison stuck)

LOL EK
+8 (30% to hit)
0.3*109.5 = 32.85
>>
>>50717893
You're going to need 3 sets of handcuffs and 2 dildos.
>>
Got a new adventure coming up and I'm trying to think of a character idea to roll with.

What would be the best setup for a Dragonologist? A character who studies (and maybe tracks and potentially hunts) dragons?

It doesn't have to be super in depth, obviously Ranger has tracking and Favored Enemy but I hear Ranger in 5e isn't great. Also Battlemaster or Wizard also appeal to me.
>>
>>50713600
Probably fighter, proficiency in smithing tools. Solid str, con, and int to have the muscles and endurance needed to work a forget and craft steel and the knowledge to craft complex, well balanced, and sturdy weapons and armor. Other than that I'd say talk to your DM about what skill proficiencies you would need, and the other tool proficiencies are left up to your discretion.
>>
File: firbolg.jpg (162KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
firbolg.jpg
162KB, 1024x576px
About to be a level 5 War Cleric
What third level spells should I take?
I have room for 3-4 (still deciding if I wanna drop Guiding Bolt)
I'm thinking mass healing word and dispel magic but I don't know what else.
>>
>>50717924
You added fire damage agaisnt an ancient red dragon kek
>>
File: skinhead.jpg (59KB, 680x438px) Image search: [Google]
skinhead.jpg
59KB, 680x438px
guys, the monk in my group used her ASI on the "skilled" feat just to get proficiency in a poisoner's kit
>>
>>50717876
rope trick
counterspell

There are many more but I'm not playing along with you. Stop moving goal post. Y

ou want us to show how Bladesinger outdamage EK. We already show it.

Don't try to turn the discussion away from this point. If you want to go on and on about sustain damage then you have to give all the condition at the start of the discussion.
>>
>>50718027
he would've been the guy in 3.5 who took Skill Focus: Underwater Basket Weaving
>>
File: 1465946928197.gif (373KB, 722x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465946928197.gif
373KB, 722x720px
>>50718044
>rope trick
>rope trick
>rope trick
>>
>>50718027

for no reason or did they roleplay it out?

It's dumb but I can't really fault people who don't want to metagame all the time
>>
>>50717952
be a wizard or something, who collects draconic artifacts and relics, either build a character who would get draconic naturally as a language, or talk to your DM about instead of getting undercommon, or elvish, or sylvan, to perhaps trade it for draconic. any decent DM would allow it. have him be a professor on dragons or some shit idk
>>
>>50717997
I haven't added 6d6 fire damage in there though.
>>
>>50718071

that was actually one of my more favorite thoughts, a bookish wizard who liked dragons.

Plus I like Wizard more than any hack n slash class
>>
>>50718027
Fists are weapons right? Put poison on your fists!
>dies
>>
>>50718062
shes going into shadow monk and loves the idea of poison darts, thats it
>>
>>50718027
best kind of player right there
>>
>>50718058
This just confirmed that you're a retard who has no idea how to utilize a fullcaster.
>>
File: laughinganimegirls#683.jpg (503KB, 976x827px) Image search: [Google]
laughinganimegirls#683.jpg
503KB, 976x827px
>>50718103
>hey guys I'm going to protect my animated objects by using my action to cast rope trick and having under half of them fly inside (the other can't fit xD), since I predict that some effect might try to knock them all out at once some time in the future!
>oh what's that, I'm not attacking with them while they're sitting inside the rope trick waiting for an aoe that might not even happen?
>and I've used two whole actions on them and the rope trick?
>nah man this is how you optimize a fullcaster you're just not getting it xD
>>
>>50718082
it perfectly fits the whole studying thing youre looking for. as a flaw, he could careless danger involving dragons or draconic relics.
>an ancient glowing draconic rune is floating in the air with corpses around it, maybe he wants to study it instead of using normal caution
>a dragon lands near them, instead of running or hiding, he is so excited/mesmerized he forgets caution
>>
>>50717977
You're a Cleric, you know all of your spells, and the spells that you're preparing should change day to day to meet your party's needs...
>>
>>50718167
BE careless TO danger**
im an idiot
>>
>>50717893

before you kill an evil motherfucker say "when you find ol' Skully in the abyss, tell her Motherfucker sent ya!"
>>
>>50718150
Is that the best your puny brain can come up with for the use of rope trick? No wonder you're playing an EK.
>>
File: 1470526357718.png (252KB, 385x534px) Image search: [Google]
1470526357718.png
252KB, 385x534px
>>50718204
>>
>>50717893
Kill a lot of stuff and send her the trophies. Don't bother with trying to stuff or pickle the severed body parts, if you can't send them while they're still fresh, they aren't worth sending.

Ideally the next time you see her you should get in a fight and decapitate something in right in front of her. Bonus points if it's her boss.
>>
>>50718204
Stop responding to shitposters
>>
>>50716044

Or you could just play a Paladin.

Or a Valor Bard.
>>
>>50718218
Just saying that, if I want an emergency extra dimensional shelter, I could just use bag of holding.

Now what would I use rope trick for? You should be able to solve this oniichan
>>
>>50717893
>gain respect by damaging something the most
Sounds like a chaotic shit-demon, for sure.

A devil would be much better, and you could woo them by superior tactics instead of hitting it the most.

>>50718027
We have a monk with no more than 14 in both dex and wis and they used their ASI on a feat that I don't think has even been used to this point.
It's not a bad choice and not as stupid as that, but I imagine that monk probably wasn't as bad off.
>>
>>50718242
It's not shitposting to unironically think rope trick is a good way to stop your animated objects from dying to aoe's though~
>>
>>50718259
This is totally a great and efficient way to protect your 1-minute duration animated objects!
>>
>>50718255

Or a Melee Hunter

Or just ask the team wizard to cast haste on your ring of spell storing
>>
>>50718255
EK is more fighty, paladin is more bursty and a bit more defensive, VB is a swift-quiver ranged combatant optimally.
>>
>>50718265

Pretty sure he mentioned Rope Trick to save concentration
>>
>>50718259
You are literally responding to posts right now that are just pictures of smug anime girls.
>>
>>50718301
>VB is a swift-quiver ranged combatant optimally.

Level 10 valor Bard casting Circle of Power and Destructive Wave would kindly disagree
>>
File: 1419634261808.gif (229KB, 600x837px) Image search: [Google]
1419634261808.gif
229KB, 600x837px
>>50718318
Look at the fucking context.
>>50717709
>They have shit tons of way to prevent AoE
>>50717761
>You mean the whole one way? If your method of damage dealing isn't very consistent, it can be pointed out as such

>>50718044
>rope trick

>mfw
>>
>>50718259
>Just saying that, if I want an emergency extra dimensional shelter, I could just use bag of holding.

You do know those things are fragile, right?
>>
>>50718328
And just in case the rest of 5eg didn't get this:

If you get someone to post smug anime girls, you've won the argument. That's the rule. They've conceded. However, if you respond further, then they win. That's the rule. You've conceded.
>>
>>50717819
Yeah, I suppose it's a bit much.

It's Drunken boxing, so it makes sense that your dodges are generally confusing. So you're swaying out of the way like a particularly drunken motherfucker.

Maybe get rid of the +2 to hit? Would that make it better?
>>
>>50718339
I don't why you assume aoe's are optimal in a given situation.
Any combat you have at least one enemy.
Not every combat do you necessarily have more than one.
>>
>>50718366
I've always been of the "if you respond to smug animes then no one wins" camp.
>>
>>50718328
It's okay, I'll stop now. It's not even worth talking to idiot who can't even figured out how to use rope trick.
>>
File: complaining about weeaboos.png (42KB, 964x250px) Image search: [Google]
complaining about weeaboos.png
42KB, 964x250px
>>50718366
Pretty relevant, as it tends to be on this Moot-forsaken board.
>>
Can you guys give me some feedback on this home brew monk.
>>
>>50718361
Not when they're on your character.
>>
>>50718403
Post it in text, I can't open PDFs in clover.
>>
>>50718373
Remove the +2 to hit from both class features, and the advantage too, because monks use flurry basically every turn by that point.
Like, I see what you were going for, but it's just too powerful.
>>
>>50718374

Because if you're fighting a single guy you can also destroy him in twp rounds by combing Dissonant Whispers and Animate Objects.
>>
>>50718403
I'm seeing a lot of redundancy. You should read the features of the base class more carefully before devising mechanics like what you add in drunken rage.
Compare it to martial arts for instance.
>>
>>50718413

they're not on your character, if your character is on them
>>
>>50718403
>Enemies get disadvantage to hit
>Resistance to damage
C'mon, anon.
>>
>get a group together for dnd
>1 is a Mary sue half elf
>1 is a min-max doppelganger druid also a HUGE rule bitch
>1 is super quiet elf barbarian
>1 is an autistic (medically) tiefling assasination rogue edge lord
>1 never roleplays and is a wood elf rogue
Sigh mistakes were made lads.
>>
>>50718426
Or you couldn't.
Do you want me to start naming off enemies where that's not going to be a good idea to even try?
>>
>>50718094
I remember reading a manga where a guy used that fighting style. It was explained that you gradually expose yourself to poison to develop a tolerance to it, until you can saturate your hand.
>>
>>50718447
disadvantage to melee attacks and resistant to non magical damage doesn't seem to bad. it is a once per short rest use rage.
>>
>>50713423
Or the players can literally be roped to the airship. Like people often were in dangerous boat/ship/etc conditions irl.
>>
>>50718435
I only see one overlap and that is the stillness of mind. but that requires an action. also addled mind only applies while raging.
>>
>>50718453

you can, but for every exception, a bard will have fifty other choices

When everything else fails, he can still defeat it with an average 28 on his persuasion rolls to stop the fight
>>
>>50718451
Sounds like a nice group of murderhobos aside from the one guy who thinks it's okay to play a doppelganger. You should really correct him on that.
>>
>>50718453
>>50718426
If it's one guy, even a martial can just shove them to the ground and grapple them.

Or, warlocks could attack them at range with repelling blasts and they could never get near. Utilitize cover if they start trying to make ranged attacks.

Or, simply, any save-or-die save. A monk can repeat stunning fist over and over on them until they run out of legendary resistance Or, hold person. That sort of thing.
>>
File: nigger.png (88KB, 821x198px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.png
88KB, 821x198px
>>50718499
>I only see one overlap and that is the stillness of mind
>>
>>50718502
>high persuasion rolls end fights
When will this meme end?
>>
>>50718502
We're talking about the bard as a gish senpai.
No one's going to argue that bard isn't either the best or the second best class in the game, because it's obviously true.
>>
>>50718528
reading comprehension/10. it says and not or.
>>
>>50718508
But like their characters aren't good murder hobos their so bland. I was describing the people playing them. IDK I'm not the DM so I can't tell him no. I voiced how it was retarded.
>>
>>50713849

Whatever level is appropriate to the campaign.
>>
>>50718518

the ol' polymorph into a bag of devouring trick
>>
>>50718545
You're really really not getting it.
Given how you responded to other people, and how much of an abomination that homebrew actually is, I didn't expect anything else though.
>>
>>50713849
Usually it's a DM gift.
>>
>>50718535

It was more of a joke than anything but.... I'm sorry for your experience with shitty role playing that inhibits you from making the most out of your charisma skills in a reasonably sociable group?

I've literally destroyed BBEG encounters with sucessful deception and performance skills and every one had a blast
>>
File: icemage.jpg (159KB, 665x1200px) Image search: [Google]
icemage.jpg
159KB, 665x1200px
>>50718535
>you just slaughtered half of them
>your entire party is still doing fine
>a high persuasion roll doesn't convince them that they're idiots about to lose
what meme?
>>
>>50718587
>>50718598
I was more thinking of early experiences with d&d where players would just try to optimize diplomacy and insist that their +30 or whatever would basically force any person to do whatever they wanted any time.
>>
>>50718467
Both of them together is too much defense. The only other class with resistance to physical damage grants ADVANTAGE on attacks against it.
>>
>>50718641
I just don't want to make it underwhelming since it is the key ability of the subclass. ill get red of the resistances then.
>>
>>50718422
Okay. I can do that, no problem.
3rd level
You gain proficiency in Improvised weapons. You can use martial arts for the damage if you want.
In addition, you can spend 2 ki points to get Drunk, gaining temporary hitpoints equal to 5 times your CON modifier. Drinking has no effect on your DEX.

6th level:
Drunken Willow
Improvised weapons count as magical for the purposes of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
Patient Defense and Step of the Wind gain a boost when under Drink. You can spend 1 extra ki point in both to gain advantage on your next attack. Does not apply to Flurry of Blows.

11th:
Unpredictable Strikes
While drunk, you can spend 4 ki points to get advantage on your Flurry of Blows in addition to its normal cost.

17th:
Stubbornness of the Monkey:
Your temporary hitpoints from Drinking equals 10 times your CON modifier.

Better?
>>
>>50718683
Better, but underwhelming now. Particularly because it has no utility, just combat abilities.
>>
>>50718641

Well, it did use to bother me a lot when my maxed charisma expertise in persuasion and performance would have all the npcs treat me like a fucking tiefling shit blown into town (he was basically a DM'ing murderhobo), but I see your point
>>
>>50718695
That structure works for the kensai.
The monk already gets a ton of utility features as part of the base class.
>>
So whats the definitive bladelock build?
>>
>>50718598
That would be intimidate though. Read PHB for what persuasion actually is.
>>
>>50718710
Waradin or Palalock
>>
>>50718710
The one that's not a bladelock
>>
File: skullrebel.jpg (84KB, 426x810px) Image search: [Google]
skullrebel.jpg
84KB, 426x810px
>>50718720
>"Come to reason! Your allies have already fallen, and we don't wish to shed more blood. We can all walk out of this alive, lay down your arms."
>"Okay, roll intimidate"
??
>>
>>50718755
there are DMs who would unironically do that
>>
>>50718755
>We can all walk out of this alive, lay down your arms

my mistake
roll deception instead
>>
>>50718755
That would be deception and then intimidate. We all know how murderhobo work.
>>
>>50718695
Hm. Let's see what we can do about that.

3rd level:
Share a brew
You can spend an additional ki point when Drinking to create 1 extra serve of Drink, which can either give temporary hit points equal to 5 by the target's CON modifier, or restored health equal to your martial arts die by their CON modifier, minimum 1.
Also, gain proficiency with Brewer's tools.

6th level:
Drink replenishes under a short or long rest.

11th:
Satiating Brew
The modifier for health regained from your Shared Drink equals their CON modifier +1.

17th:
Hitpoints regained from Shared Drink has an additional +1 to the number of Martial Arts Dice of health it replenishes.
>>50718704
Alright. I thought as much, but here's some extra stuff. Kind of want to try a balance between Kensai stuff and a bit of utility.
>>
File: bestlich.jpg (86KB, 1024x535px) Image search: [Google]
bestlich.jpg
86KB, 1024x535px
>>50718786
>>50718782
this hurts me
>>
>>50714996
It's largely up to how the DM interprets it. By RAW you have to see the spell being cast, but just because someone isn't moving or speaking doesn't necessarily mean you can't tell that something magical is in the process of happening. If a bead of fire starts to build in front of someone, it's easy to guess that shit is about to go down.

Subtle spells will still break invisibility and stealth, so it's not even clear what the RAI is in this case. That said, I'd also rule that subtle spell avoids countering, or at least requires a perception or wisdom-based arcana check to spot in time. Otherwise the only function of the ability is casting in Silenced zones, since by RAW you can't subtle cast while paralyzed either (something I'd also rule against as long as you don't need components or a focus).
>>
anyone have links to any good character generators for 5e?
>>
>>50718929
>>
So, if someone absolutely had to boost up a cantrip's damage, how do you go about that? I'm looking to "optimize" Vicious Mockery for reasons.
>>
>>50718027
Best kind of player desu

I'd rather play with/GM for a party of people who don't give a metric fuck and just do fun stuff and interesting stuff that isn't optimal

in comparison to a group of rules-lawyer munchkins doing stupid bullshit to max out muh DPR it's not a competition as to who I'd want to play with
>>
>leave to play my season finale session since everyone's going to be doing stuff over Christmas
>Gene got into another argument and started animeposting
some things never change
>>
>>50718948
Great. I can play all the catgirls i've never wanted to play. Thanks anon. Now can anyone actually assist unlike that cuck.
>>
>>50719015
wow what a fag
>>
File: aqwr.jpg (199KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aqwr.jpg
199KB, 1920x1080px
I need Dinosaurs. MORE statted DINOSAURS
>>
File: goliathb.jpg (15KB, 236x303px) Image search: [Google]
goliathb.jpg
15KB, 236x303px
Hey /tg/ so there is one trouble maker in my party. Rolled a LN Goliath barbarian, however his actions have not been neutral at all or even lawful for that matter. He lives by a pirate code as his 'law' which is fair enough but a specific piece of this code states various things about honor in dueling. So as a nice fluff event there was a knight that would not allow the party passage over his bridge unless he was bested in a duel. I knew the player would step up to it and after a tough fight he did beat the knight. Now the knight surrendered at 5 hitpoints and extended his hand to shake the barbarians, when I looked at the player he smiled and said "I swing at him with my greataxe." He made a strong effort to kill the knight but was stopped by the party and when I quizzed him about his code he told me that "It was a knight's duel my code only extends to a pirate duel so it doesn't count." That's all well and good but he has had many actions like this and the party will probably kill him next session just out of good roleplay and sticking to character. His character is a menace to society. I had a chat with him about his actions and alignment and he was happy to just be LE now instead. So I want to create an event whereby he is kidnapped and the party must rescue him and hopefully that will bond them a bit more or at least somewhat.

tl;dr
Player being a dick, how do I kidnap him with 5e mechanics without straight up railroading/bullshit?
>>
>>50719005
My use my ASI on ritual casting, but my DM hate me.

He just love night ambush too much (happen 5 times in the campaign so far) and 12 layers of tiny hut (thanks /5eg/) cucked him.
>>
>>50718982
I can't think of a single way to do that, the only Cantrip that really has "optimization" options is EBlast

Sorcerer could twin/quicken it and cast it twice in a round? would have to be a different target for Twin and there's really no reason to cast VM on the same target twice, so pretty much the same for Quicken

I can't think of any abilities that give +damage to Psychic like an Undying Light Warlock gets +CHA to Fire/Radiant.

Really nothing you can do, cantrips aren't meant to be able to be "optimized" save for Eblast. Read the book chap
>>
>>50718094
https://youtu.be/PBB6OnAnx7c?t=1m32s
>>
DM question: can monsters with multiattack attempt a grapple in place of one of their attacks?
>>
>>50719107
a multiattack is a full action, and cannot be split or changed
>>
>playing SKT
>get to One Stone and acquire the magical resizing boulder that controls weather
>a bunch of EARTH CULTISTS from PotA pop out of the ground with bullettes
>we consider killing them because every other cultist has been an asshole, but hear them out
>they want to set up a meeting with their boss; we say sure, meet us in Silverymoon in a month (we can teleport from Mirabar using Harper's teleport network)
>Cleric goes up to shake Earth Cultist's hand
>STONE SHAPE
>Earth Cultists wear armor made out of stone so he just locks this lady into her armor and glowers at the second guy
>extort him out of his armor, the gold his boss gave him for expenses, and the gold from everyone they robbed
>also take two of his bulettes because Animal Empathy, Terran knowledge, and psychic chatter, tell him to take his buddy and GTFO
>ask Cleric to Stone Shape cultist's armor into barding for the axebeak I stole from orogs; 18 AC, 29 HP birdmount now, feels good
>call up our dwarf friends from Zephyros' tower on the sending stone they gave us in Waterdeep and ask why Queen Dagnabbit was such a meanie when we visited her a few days back
>they show up outta nowhere and with their dragon and deliver an airship from Zephyros on the down-low because the Lord's Alliance wants to put him on trial later for maybe doing the Nightstone stuff and we might be called to his defense
>okay, flying HQ time
>head off to Beorunna's Well and bring our dwarfbros because Earth Cult mentioned Fire Cult is up there with some fire giants, maybe dwarves can help us in the fight
>literally 10 fire giants
>Harshnag and Dwarfbros deal with the giants while the party HIGH-ALTITUDE FEATHER FALL INSERTION with the aid of a few potions, the Rogue's FF ring, and me hiding in a bag of holding on his person
>Fire Cult + barbarians are hanging out near a fire; their leader monologues at our Wizard face and combat starts
>Fire Cult Leader summons an elemental
>manticore comes outta nowhere and jumps on the party
>>
Divination Wizard, just hit level 4. ASI for more Int? or get a Feat? If so, which Feat?
>>
Glamour Bard 3 / Feylock 2, probably an Eladrin but maybe a Half-elf because I really need CHA more than anything

This build seems pretty fun lads, can do reliable damage through EBlast + Hex and can support with healing word/ Mantle of Inspiration and etc, lotta blasting and a get a good amount of shit back on short rest so I'm useful through the day

Where would you take it past level 5 though? Can't decide between grabbing the Bard ASI for +CHA or the Lock pact boon (probably Chain? Could Tome's ritual casting invocation allow me to cast my Bard spells as rituals?)

also I cannot find character art fabulous enough for this character, I need a ridiculously dressed up fancy Elf
>>
>>50719152
definitely the "skilled" feat for proficiency with poisoner's kit
>>
>>50719152
Max int.
Then get Lucky/Alert/Resilient (CON)/Warcaster.
>>
>>50719171
>Planning till max level
Okay man, i doubt i'll be alive past level 6, let's get real.
>>
>>50719190
So max int, like was just said to do first...?
>>
Okay now
>>50719203 and >>50719168
fight to the death.
I'll choose the winner's suggestion.
>>
>>50719145
>Shadowstep out of the tree I'm hiding in and resize the boulder above the manticore, crushing it hardcore
>rogue finishes it off
>Warlock Black Tentacles every fucking barbarian + cultist around their fire
>Wizard Hold Persons the leader and the two beefiest
>Harshnag accidentally knocks a fire giant into the cave, nearly crushing Warlock and Rogue
>Cleric Control Waters to force the spring to bubble up and fill the cave
>we thought we were on a platform from the side-view but it was really the altar platform, but luckily we were already Water Walked because hey it's a ritual why not have it on at all times
>Held, tentacle-grappled cultists are now submerged in water
>Fire Cultist's elemental tries wading through all the water but nearly fizzles out
>keep Shadowstepping onto fire giant to try and Stunning Blow it but hey +10 Con rolls and nothing else to spend ki on so whatever
>Giant knocks our Rogue into like 3 HP and Rogue misses every attack for the next three rounds
>Cleric keeps raising water level so eventually the giant is completely submerged
>keep Shadowstepping underwater to hit him, floating up and out of his threat range without opportunity attacks thanks to Water Walk
>remaining barbarians and cultists are still trying to swim over to us
>WATER VORTEX flushes them all down the train
>giant drowns
>throw all the floating corpses into a rowboat summoned from the Wizard's Robe of Shit or whatever it's called
>raise water level to float out after grabbing some giant horn
>get back on our airship and fuck off to the Eye of the All-Father
good session
Cleric MVP for trivializing both encounters with hilariously specific bullshit
party still doesn't know I'm a Monk in full plate
>>
>>50719107
Yes, don't listen to the other autist who responded. Better yet read the fucking book.
>>
File: FoppishEnoughForYa.png (968KB, 936x1428px) Image search: [Google]
FoppishEnoughForYa.png
968KB, 936x1428px
>>50719158
I'd definitely pick up warlock 3, but after that you should go straight bard. Maybe warlock 4 if you're starved for stats/feats.
>>
>>50719143
Yes, but so is the Attack action for PCs, and PCs can use one of their attacks from the Attack action to grapple.
>>
im gonna multiclass all classes level 1
>>
I'm a Vengeance Paladin (Level 6) at the moment

Should I continue Paladin or dip Fighter, eventually going either monster hunter or battlemaster (but probably monster hunter because holy shit I would never, ever fail a INT/WIS/CHA save)

GM says the campaign will end around level 10, so I'd probably not ever get that sweet sweet Improved DS

>>50719272
you would need at least 13 in every stat

It will take you months to MC every class if you start at level 1
>>
>>50719261
yes but thats the Attack action

this is a Multiattack action, not multiple Attack actions

and each Multiattack action can only do what it says on the monsters description
>>
>>50719152
Lucky feat. Now you don't have to worry about wasting portent roll.
>>
>>50719152
>>50719300
>Halfing Divination Wizard w/ Lucky

not this again please
>>
>>50719300
This seems like the best thematic option. Basically just theme it like I have more uses of Portent.
>>
>>50719297
we roll for stats
>>
>>50719312
Variant human with lucky work fine. You get better INT than a halfling.
>>
>>50714762

Disclaimer: I'm drunk.

I use a homebrewed version of a scroll of town portal, where you need a specific scroll to correlate with a specific warpstone. The user also has to be witness to the stone in person when using the scroll and recollect it, to properly warp there.
>>
>>50719318
You can use lucky to change portent too.
>>
Can you use certain abilities out of combat?

Could a Fighter Second Wind out of combat? it says specifically "on your turn, you can use a bonus action"
>>
>>50719358
Yes.
Always Second Wind before short/long resting to maximize HP restoration.
>>
>>50719297
If you only have 4 or 5 levels left, there's no point dipping into something that won't pay off until level 3. Just keep doing what you're doing.

>>50719358
It's probably fine, because it recharges on a short rest.
>>
>>50719358
yes
>>
File: 4.png (6KB, 99x103px) Image search: [Google]
4.png
6KB, 99x103px
Anybody have the Tabaxi speed build?
>>
rate my party /tg/
Knockknock Woodstuff Gnome Barbarian
Grolg Attourney at Law Orc Bard
Ailas Kokiri Elf Monk
>>
File: 1373621724651.gif (769KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1373621724651.gif
769KB, 300x300px
>>50719416
>>
Paladin 2 / Sorcerer X

Is it fun? Smite spam seem like fun.
>>
>>50719044
It doesn't seem like the player wants to change, and it doesn't seem like he's lawful. A lawful character wouldn't duel under false pretense and break a promise as he did - just because his personal code allows it doesn't make it a lawful action (remember - CG characters are the epitome of Personal Code).
TBQH he's playing as something between N and CE (I can't tell without more detail). It sounds like you're party isn't down for evils in it, which is fine, and you need to have a talk with the player about that. No amount of changing the label on his sheet will make him not a sociopath, and if nobody else wants that character around, Rule 0 dictates that the character fuck off.
If he wants to be edgy he can always roll a CG drow ranger.

>>50719425
>>50719272
(you)
>>
>>50719509
Yeah I completely see that. I am going to thoroughly inspect his pirate code and maybe have another chat about alignment. He has the pirate background and plays sort of a mindless killer. Attacks everything, no mercy etc. A new player joined the group the last session and when he was introduced (literally as he described what the other players see as his character) this dude drew his greataxe and tried to grapple then attack the new guy. Without provocation he becomes violent and tries to kill others. With provocation he harbours ill will towards them and makes every effort to kill/attack them. He attacked an allied npc in a combat situation rather than the 10 attacking goblins in the town. Has been arrested twice in the same town also, but for another player's high persuasion roll he'd still be locked up. Maybe I'll leave him be and if the party let's him die/kills him it's on him then. Thanks for the reply though anon!
>>
>>50719488
Pretty pointless

Let's compare a 4 paladin and your 2/2palsorc.

Right now, you have more spell slots. Add a level to the Paladin, add a level to your Sorc, and you now have one 2nd level slot over the Paladin

However the Paladin now has extra attack and access to 2nd level paladin spells (Find Steed anyone?). Extra attack= much more damage and more chances to hit and more chances to smite and more chances to crit. Even if you're using BB GFB it doesn't really hold up. The Paladin also got an ASI and you did not; if he used it on Polearm Master his damage is even higher

If you want to make a more smitey Paladin, dip 2-3 levels of Lock. Palasorc doesn't work out very well, and with the way spell progression works you are crippling yourself
>>
Is it cool if I post an image i Photoshopped of my Arrakocra Divination Wizard? or should i only post that shit in the Character Art thread?
>>
>>50719890
post it senpai
this is an imageboard
>>
>>50719780
But at 2/5
> suddenly haste
Soradin catch up.
At 2/6
> suddenly extra attack from favored soul
Soradin win the race

You can switch out haste for greater invisibility if you want to chance to crit (or just quicken hold person / hold monster).
>>
File: Soheil.jpg (206KB, 1360x800px) Image search: [Google]
Soheil.jpg
206KB, 1360x800px
>>50719920
He's an investigator for an organization that regulates magic use. Works in the slums.

Though i think he'll be fired now since someone resurrected an animal diety in the city and now it is raining blood everywhere.
>>
>>50719929
The breakpoints for leaving paladin for sorc are 6, 7 in the case of OotA, 11, and 13.
Any other breakpoints are dumb.
>>
>>50719358
Yep. You can spam Rally all day, every day, and the temp HPs from it don't expire unless the recipient chooses to replace them with a different instance of temp HP.
>>
>>50719943
I was expecting something like that.
You did not disappoint senpai lol
>>
>>50719951
Most campaign end before level 10 though.
>>
>>50719958

I am also >>50719152 poster. Looks like I'm taking the Lucky feat. Any recommendations for good 2nd level spells to add to my spellbook for getting to 4th level? Also i need another Cantrip, i have Firebolt, Light, and Message.
>>
>>50719977
So think about *YOUR* game and how you expect *YOUR* game to go.
What other people do isn't relevant.
>>
>>50719989
>2nd level spell
If you don't have misty step, get misty step.
>>
Reposting drunken monk HomeBREW from last thread cause it's actually decent.

LvL 3. Wineskin arts

You are proficient with improvised weapons and treat them as monk weapons.
When you take damage from any source you may use your reaction to tumble for up to half your movement speed in any direction (when you meet a wall you scale it as per unarmoured movement).
On the end of your tumbe you must make a DC 10 Accrobatics save to land safely .
On a failed save you land prone.

Lvl 6. Master of 9 brews

You gain proficiency with the Brewers kit and the Herbalists kit (if you are already proficient you may pick another tool or instrument proficiency).

You may infuse alcoholic drinks with your ki to noursih and heal the body.

You may create up to a third of your monk level rounded down ''Ki infused Alcoholic drinks'' by expending 4 ki over one minute and may only have up to 6 such drinks with you at a time as their effects fade away if you create more.

These drinks heal 1d4+Your monk level+Wis mod hit points.
A person other than you can only drink up to three such drinks per day or must make a Con save against a DC 16 minus your Wis mod each time they drink more than 3.
On a failed save they don't recover any hitpoints and gain a level of exauhstion instead.

LvL 11 Swaying monkey

You can never land/be knocked prone.
When you take the dodge reaction granted by patient defense you may execute one unarmed strike against a target within 5 ft of you.
When you tumble you may spend 1 ki to tumble into a target making an unarmed strike and ending your tumble as well.

LvL 17. Dragon Sages brew

As an action you may consume one ki infused drink and spend 4 ki to unleash a draconic breath attack.

You unleash a fiery breath attack in a 5ft wide and 60 ft long line.
All targets within the affected space must make a Dex saving throw against your Ki save DC or take 5d10+Wis mod fire damage on a failed save or half as much on a succesfull save.
>>
I'm DMing a new campaign this week for a party of three level three players and I want the first dungeon to be a Sahuagin lair that they discover after their ship is attacked by Sahuagin raiders. What are some level appropriate thematic monsters/enemies that I could fill out the dungeon with?
>>
>>50720066
Sahuagin
>>
>>50720066
Sharks
>>
>>50719929
>at level 7, haste

Vengeance Pally would get Haste at 9. 2 minutes per day of Haste, that requires your concentration and your 3rd level slots, is a pretty steep price to pay for beginning to compete

let's not forget it's also an action to cast Haste in the first place

>level 8 extra attack from FS

Well I didn't know we were factoring in OP unofficial playtesting material (It's really hardly even a UA, it's just them providing examples for how to create archetypes, not even a nice PDF thing like they've been doing for the past few UAs) from over a year ago but alright. If we're bringing UA shit into this and allowing it to be multi-classed this whole argument is moot as you should just be going Theurge Wizard instead and being the most laughably OP being in all of existence, or multiclassing Paladin with Undying Light warlock or Shadow Sorcerer (or fuck it, both) and being stupidly overpowered as well.

If you're using Extra Attack, no more GFB/BB.

If we took the two to level 11, Paladin wins by a pretty steep landslide, especially if they're using PAM

Remember that Divine Smite damage caps at 5d8, so 4th level slots

Paladin Sorc isn't trash but frankly it's only competing if you're using pretty stupid UA shit, and it takes a long time to get started and to start competing in the first place. Needing to be level 7 / level 8 before you're comparable is pretty shit
>>
>>50720066
Steam Mephit
Giant Sea Horse
Sea Hag
Plesiosaurus
Merrow
Giant Octopus

If you wanna throw in some frog things, throw in some Bullywogs, Slaad, and Marid.
But those might not work with Salt Water stuff.

Reskin an Umberhulk to be a giant Lobster.

Maybe some Kuo-toa? Fish people who are slaves to other Fish People?
Throw in some Merfolk who are trying to Underground Railroad the Kuo-toa?

Gelatinous Cube as some kind of big Jelly Fish?

Cloaker is like a weird flying manta ray monster, might be too stronk.

I'd throw in some Dark Mantle for good measure. Maybe have an encounter where they fight the Giant Octopus and Darkmantle fall from the ceiling.

Like... 100 Flumphs

Gibbering Mouther as Coral/Sea Anemone?
>>
Playing a Ranger in Out of the Abyss, what race should I pick?
>>
>>50720278
What do you want your backstory/character to be like? Then we can talk about Race.
>>
>>50720278
Sverfneblin.
And play a deepstalker and get both the sverfneblin magic feat and the skulker feat.
>>
>>50720278
Ranged ranger or melee ranger?
>>
>>50720296
Ranged
>>50720284
I'll build the backstory around the race
>>
>>50720288
What level would I even be able to get those feats?
>>
>>50720346
4 and 8 respectively.
I'd actually probably get skulker first, since I don't think there are actually that many things that hit you with divination magic in OotA.

So skulker at level four, and then probably increase your dexterity by two at level 8. I think OotA goes to a higher level, so I'd pump dex to max at level 12 (assuming you had standard array or point buy at character gen).
>>
>>50720346
>>50720383
You'll get 150 foot darkvision that you see perfectly in this way by the way - that is incredibly good in OotA. You'll see everything in the module long before it even has a chance to see you.
>>
File: 1474984782750.jpg (224KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1474984782750.jpg
224KB, 600x900px
>>50720417
>>50720417
>>50720417
>>50720417
>>50720417
NEW THREAD MIGRATE
>>
>>50719272
Go human with the 13/13/13/12/12/12 standard array.
>>
>>50720334
Wood or dark elf if core only. Goblin or Kobold if monster races are allowed. Deep Gnome isn't bad either.
>>
>>50720160
Dude, you missed all the discussion about quicken GFB/BB with 8 CHA sorcerer awhile ago didn't you?
>>
>>50718101
this
Thread posts: 377
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.