[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: The Mega is Dead, Long Live

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 440
Thread images: 42

File: woolie phb.png (211KB, 629x334px) Image search: [Google]
woolie phb.png
211KB, 629x334px
>Latest News
Monk UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Last session: >>50703607

What's the rules misunderstanding people have that frustrates you most?
>>
Fist for psionics are dead
>>
Second for Twinned Thread metamagic
>>
>>50707434
It's easier to build up some melee-defense from the d6 than it is to build down to class-canon from the d8. Give a mystic subclass 10+Dex+Int unarmored defense (or some armor proficiencies) and +1 HP per mystic level and they're golden.
>>
Fourth for disliking official dnd settings but also disliking working to make my own.
>>
File: 64954006.jpg (160KB, 640x579px) Image search: [Google]
64954006.jpg
160KB, 640x579px
>>50707563
>not liking Eberron
Get some fucking taste, m8.
>>
>>50707563
ey fuck yeh man, Dark Sun is the hypest shit
>>
File: 1469393135146.jpg (52KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
1469393135146.jpg
52KB, 500x366px
>>50707569
>>50707567

>tfw Wizards will release actual, non-UA content for Eberron and Dark Sun around the time our sun becomes a red giant
>>
>>50707582
They've said they'll move on from the Realms eventually. My guess is by 2018. Probably to Eberron.
>>
File: 1480595019550.jpg (35KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1480595019550.jpg
35KB, 480x480px
>Fighter got FOUR fucking archetypes last UA
>most of them are boring
>Monk only got two
>they're both boring
>>
>>50707567
>>50707569
That's just fanfiction at this point.
>>
>>50707424
How do you try to characterize your races without using either A: Culture or B: Alignment
Personally, I try to give each PC race a quirk in their way of viewing the world. For example, a dwarf thinks that the shortest distance between two points is a line, while an elf thinks that water is wise for taking the path of least resistance. An orc goes into a situation and asks "Could I take that person in a fight?". A halfling asks "What would make this event into a great story to tell later?".
I'm curious how other people characterize their races.
>>
>>50707630
Boring in what sense?
Tranquil is unique, and mechanically interesting, but i would be bored as hell playing one.
Kensei is a word jumble, but the idea is at least worth exploring, just a shame it doesn't do much overall.
>>
>>50707601
Fug, I was just starting to warm up to FR.

Speaking of which, what's the best way to learn about the setting? I've never played anything that wasn't homebrew until I started DMing LMoP and SKT. My players are trying to get involved in the world beyond what the adventures offer (especially with the different factions) so I've been looking up a lot of stuff on the wiki, but that's about it.
>>
>>50707631
What does that even mean? Eberron and Dark Sun are both official, published settings, and they're also really fucking good. If you can't come up with your own setting, just use one of those.

D&D doesn't have to be Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms all the way down, no matter what WotC tries to tell you.
>>
>>50707751

I actually really hate when a Race just becomes a hat that a particular member of said races wears.In my present game ever single player thats touched a Dwarf and the DM always design them as utterly interchangeable comic relief drunks.Its just too lazy to design things like that.Of course Humans are supposed to be the "We do everything well" race but you can still have versatility in your non-humans
>>
Here's to Wizards actually giving us settings to play and not just once in a blue moon good adventures.
>>
>>50707751
>humans are short lived, and while can come in any variety, most seem either entirely content in dying without accomplishment, or want the world for their very own
>dwarves are masters of craft, whatever craft they choose for that to be. Quite often its drinking. Beauty is in craftsmanship, and technical skill, the WORK is what matters.
>halflings may only be half a mans size, but they are often twice in heart, if not in head. while their greatest accomplishments can rival any other races, they more often do them for the joy of DOING than trying for a goal.
>gnomes are inquisitive, and inventive... and often delve far too deep into what is possible, rarely stopping to consider what SHOULD BE, and caring only for what COULD BE
>>
Is there a mirror for the trove? Mega has a quota now?
>>
>>50707802
Current Mega in the OP is up, Meganon got a new fake email and Mega account for it, so it should be up for a while. Download or stash the files in your own Mega while you can, because as of now we don't have any non-Mega mirrors.
>>
Way of the immortal was interesting because thanks to having d8 and no extra attack they could play with psy points more, if it's a fighter subclass ia going to do jack shit beyond once per day meh stuff because "you have 4 attacks, d10, action surge and second wind"
>>
Why are people talking about psionics???
>>
File: 872148p9239-871232.jpg (26KB, 599x337px) Image search: [Google]
872148p9239-871232.jpg
26KB, 599x337px
I'm gonna be honest. I've been SUPER hesitant to start using the stuff outside the PHB, DMG, and Monster Manuals in my games. I've been very slowly integrating stuff from the Player's Companion into the game, and that's after almost a year of playing it as close to vanilla PHB content as I could. Haven't even touched Unearthed Arcana yet, let alone Volo's Guide.

I have this innate, visceral worry about unnecessary "bloat" from way back in my 3.5 days of players applying racial templates from some obscure book that's only supposed to exist in Eberron or something so they can multiclass into a class that was introduced in some magazine and exploit some feat found only in the darkest corner of one of the "Complete X" books.

I know that none of the 5e content even remotely approaches it and I know that it's almost entirely an irrational fear, but I'm having a lot of trouble moving beyond it. I'm afraid I'm alienating my players with all my "let's stick to the core content for now" stuff.
>>
>>50707813
Alright that's a good alternative, thanks.
>>
>>50707836
I highly highly super duper recommend the revised Ranger UA.
Print it out and tape it into your PHB.
>>
>>50707567
But, other than Warforged, that setting is boring.

>>50707569
Indeed. Best setting. Shame the newer versions are so watered down.
>>
>>50707836
Yeah, that's irrational, and also the kind of attitude that got us the content drought otherwise known as 5e.
>>
OK, so I've gotten my PCs through a short dungeon crawl, and now they're about to head back to their home town.

Where the fuck does my campaign go from here? I want to give them some flexibility, but they're the sort that need options presented to them.
>>
>>50707861
>But, other than Warforged, that setting is boring.

>nega-litch elves
>Aztec giants with bloodsacrifice magic
>scorpion and demon worshiping drows
>elemental powered ships/trains/airships
>industrialized magic
>velociraptor riding halfling nomads
>non-velociraptor riding halflings who charge you out the ass for healing and other services
>banker dwarves
>Sharn
>half-elf racial supremacists
>dire-human racial supremacists
>warforged racial supremacists
>chaotic good magical queen hellbent on world domination.
>lawful evil vampire hellbent on world peace
>prophecies!
>>
>>50707836
Funny, core 3.5 was an unbalanced mess, so thanks to your paranoia martials got the short end of the stick every time in your games, congrats
>>
>>50707909
The person who had them run the dungeon has left town, stiffing the PCs on their promised reward for unknown reasons.

They will chase him to the ends of the earth.

All the while, build up that this person is actually a very high level character who has some sort of evil plan. Fill out every facet of the evil plan, but never let the players know what that dungeon has to do with it.

Finally, after they confront and beat him, they are permitted to know. he thought it was funny to trick a bunch of vagrants with delusions of grandeur into a death trap
>>
>>50707922
Don't forget the lolipope, level 3 cleric, level 18 while in the chapel.
>>
How is Storm King's Thunder? I've never GMed a game before and it seems to be the big "thing" they're pushing right now.
>>
File: Eberron-cg.jpg (621KB, 1600x1447px) Image search: [Google]
Eberron-cg.jpg
621KB, 1600x1447px
>>50707922
>giants descended from an empire that blew a continent to pieces to blow a plane into fuck-off orbit
>scorpion-revering jungle drow who ritualistically scar themselves with scorpion venom
>ancestor-worshiping elves whose ancestors are in a state of undeath and guide their civilization
>feathered aztec yuan-ti connected not to snakes but to couatls
>druids dedicated to keeping other planes from invading, starting from orcs being taught magic by a black dragon
>racial supremacist goblins trying to Make Khorvaire Great Again
>the illuminati
>the demon-tigermen illuminati
>the dragon illuminati
>the magi-merchant illuminati
>a continent controlled by psions who use worshiper's power to fuel invaders from the planes of dreams
>planes "orbiting" the material plane with their "distance" determining their influence
>>
>>50707836
If you don't want to integrate the races into your setting, Volo's Guide is still great as a Monster Manual 2. Lots of great stuff in there. I don't allow any UA other than the revised ranger one (as it is where the class should have been at launch). If you want to eliminate bloat make the following things clear at your table.
A) Anything new (classes, archetypes, races) that you allow for players to use is on a probationary basis
B) No multiclassing. Seriously, that eliminates like 80% of your problems right there. The fact that it's a variant rule this time means it's even easier to shut down min-maxers.
>>
8 INT wizards, 10 kobolds vs a level 20 fighter, 4e was good, diamond pickaxes, rolling for stats is superior to point buy
>>
>>50708008
>minmaxer
>he actually thinks multiclassed chars are more powerful than singleclassed ones
top kek
>>
>>50708032
>8 INT wizards
>10 kobolds vs a level 20 fighter
I've never heard these ones before.
>>
File: pls no bully.png (2MB, 1910x1076px) Image search: [Google]
pls no bully.png
2MB, 1910x1076px
How would you guys go about building a character based on this guy?
I was thinking wizard because of the high number of abilities known, and wasn't sure between enchanting, illusion, bladesinger for the sword - maybe just being an elf would do it?
Also, some fitting spells to be selected would be of help.
>>
>>50707987
The best written module so far, but how you and your group like it always depends on what you're looking for. I think its great with alot of flexibility for a pre-written adventure.

I would start with Lost Mines of Phandelver though if your group hasn't played that before, it's perfect for a first time DM. You can then transfer the PCs over to SKT if you want, the book tells you how to do so.
>>
>long term madness
>possible outcome is unconsciousness for ~4 days
>google 'feeding unconscious patient'
>a feeding tube or IV is required for a comatose patient
>that's impossible tech for dnd
>4 exhaustion levels
>>
>>50708069

It's fucking magicland anon, I'm sure they can work out a way to feed them.
>>
File: 1340433133399.jpg (103KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1340433133399.jpg
103KB, 384x313px
>Players pay for a night at an inn
>Paladin declares he's going to sleep through the night in full plate armor
>Give him a level of exhaustion
>Entire table flips their shit and starts calling me names
>>
>>50708038
20th level gestalt monk, sorcerer, death cleric and necromancy wizard and you'll still be fucking weak compared to him
>>
>>50708089
full plates are really comfortable to be honest, the whole penalties for sleeping with them was so GMs could ambush the party at night, nothing to do with how it actually works. 5e doesn't have such rules, so yeah you implementing them is a dick move
>>
>>50708089
Because that's taking things way too far.

I ruled that resting in armor can only ever grant the benefits of short rest, and in two years and three groups I don't think I've ever had anyone object to that ruling.
>>
>>50708106
Specially if he didn't inform players first
>>
File: IMG_0300.png (75KB, 348x301px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0300.png
75KB, 348x301px
So the UA ranger has good abilities, but it ends at level 5. Is there any more stuff for them beyond level 5 some other place?
>>
>>50708089
>Sleep every night in a sleeping bag in full plate
>Get no exhaustion
>Sleep in a comfortable bed in full plate
>Get exhaustion
Maybe your players flung shit at you because this is inconstistent as fuck ruling
>>
>>50708110
>I ruled that resting in armor can only ever grant the benefits of short rest
I do the same and none of my groups have ever complained.
>>
>>50708117
>UA Ranger
You mean the stupid "spirit ranger" bullshit?
Fuck that. We have the UA Revised Ranger now.
>>
>>50708089
>have to expend 8 hours sleeping before realizing you arent comfortable
>>
>>50708110
>>50708121
I don't think the severity of the penalty is the reason your tables didn't complain, it's the fact that you laid it out at the beginning, rather than springing it on them.
>>
>>50708089
Say your ruling on this is final, in your world armor is uncomfortable as fuck
>a paladin with years in martial training is unaware that sleeping in his armor will provide no benefits
Nice bait

>>50708069
Shove a goodberry down his throat everyday
>>
>>50708135
I tend to tell my players when they do that kind of stuff what will happen.
>”I want to sleep with my armor on”
>”You’ll only get the benefits of a short rest then”
>”Alright, I still do it.”
If they complain I just tell them not to do it then. And this has so far worked perfectly. they know what they are getting into when they do it.
>>
>>50708131
Oh right. Thanks

I don't like rangers by my players do, one was wondering about it
>>
>>50708178
Neither do I, I prefer sentai
>>
Alright /5eg/

Somebody a couple of threads ago asked about a drunken monk path, so here we go. No fluff because somebody else can do that.

Way of the Drunken Fist.

3rd level: Bottoms up!
You can spend 2 ki to enter Drunken Rage, or drink a bottle of alcohol of any description (DC 10)
While in Drunken Rage, enjoy the following benefits:
-adv. on DEX checks and DEX saving throws.
-extra damage ala Barbarian rage chart.
-lasts 1 minute, number of rages equal to number of ki points total, must finish a long rest to regain spent rages.
-Advantage on constitution (Poison) checks.

6th level:
Master surroundings.
You become proficient with Improvised weapons. These weapons count as Monk weapons and use your martial arts die if they resemble no weapon available. You use DEX for all your attacks with them.

11th:
Swaying Drunken Willow
When engaged in melee and in Drunken Rage, you spend 3 ki on one of these - sway five feet to the side, fall prone or bend around the attack. Your next attack deals an additional +1 damage.

17th:
Endurance of the Drunken Monkey:
Your Drunken Rage only ends when you want it to or fall unconscious. In addition, if attacked and you would go to 0 hitpoints, spend 5 ki points to stay at one hitpoint.

What do you think? A bit unbalanced, especially at the end? Or does it need a bit more?
>>
>>50708178
No problemo, famalam.

>>50708188
kek
>>
gonna play a yuan-ti rogue

which archetype should i pick?
>>
>>50708204
Swashbuckler for that sweet +Cha to initiative and fancy footwork.
>>
>>50708204
>his GM allowed him to play yuanti
whatever, you're broken from the get to go
>>
>>50708214
it's in volo's guide

just like bugbearmont
>>
>>50708218
He knows that. Most people are of the opinion that Magic Resistance is a stupidly powerful racial trait.
>>
>>50708089
In terms of balance, punishing a character for always having armour on is ridiculous. Heavy armour does not have enough ups to its downs to warrant insisting they can't sleep with it on and heavily punishes someone who took the sacrifice of dumping something such as dex instead of int for fun-related-purposes (Instead of making braindead paladin no.50, they decided to have a clumsy one). In those cases, you can turn a 21 AC Paladin into a 9 AC Paladin in the middle of the night, and that's seriously stupid.

In a game where night combat is rare / very easy / players have time to dress because it's a raid on the entire town or something and not a raid on them then it might still be okay to do this.
>>
>>50708197
Very weak. There isn't really a lot of benefits you can get from this. Say, 'advantage on dex checks and saving throws' is pretty limited for a level 3 feature that requires you to do some sort of rage, and advantage on poison is alright, and good to have, but too situational to justify the archetype.

Secondly, the action economy is skewed. Nothing has designated conditions or triggers or actions. 11th makes absolutely no sense for example. What on earth is going on? You spend 3 ki at any time to move 5ft, fall prone and gain +1 extra damage on the next attack?
Is it a reaction that spends a reaction after an attack? Does it negate the attack? Reroll their attack? Reroll their attack as if you'd moved 5ft/gone rone? And even then, it just seems worse than something like uncanny dodge. +1 damage is pretty much nothing.
>>
>>50708204
>>50708214
This desu
>>
File: 1351819051676.jpg (25KB, 620x406px) Image search: [Google]
1351819051676.jpg
25KB, 620x406px
>>50708214
>>50708270
i just wanna be a snek mayne
>>
>>50707760
Well, except for Arcane Archer, the archetypes didn't change the way you played fighter much in comparison to PHB archetypes. Battlemaster gave you the option to use maneuvers, EK made you a gish, Champ wasn't very interesting but you can't deny the crit range. These ones don't bring anything to the table on the level of EK or BM, nor do they give you simple but powerful options like Champ does.

Monk is a little better. DESU Kensei should have been the whole point of the monk and martial arts should have been a secondary weapon at best, and Tranquility would have better served as a halfcaster that was an EK with cleric spells.
>>
>>50708306
I like tranquilty as an option for low magic games healer.
>>
>>50708260
Considering that this is basically the equivalent of a Barbarian's 3rd level Rage and scales up in the same way, it felt balanced.

Maybe also have attacks that send opponents prone have advantage.

Improvised Weapons could have a thing where you can spend a bonus action to turn a part of your environment into an improvised weapon.

Maybe replace 11th level with something like Uncanny Dodge. I was trying to simulate the unpredictable nature of a Drunken Fist master being able to dodge attacks easily. How about, you can spend 3 ki points to force disadvantage on melee attacks against you.

Is that better or worse?
>>
>>50708306

Id disagree only to the extent that Knight actually does a pretty damn good job of defending other PCs without degenerating into a taunt macro spamming MMO character. I actually like it and think it can be better than the Champion it just doesnt stack up to what the the BM can do
>>
>>50708197
Shit.
>>
>>50708228

>>I get Innate suggestion and solid caster stats
>>I got Gnomish cunning but better because it affects all saves and all magic
>>I got Dwarvish resilience just better because im completely immune to the element

Yuan-Ti is such bullshit
>>
>>50708197
Random ideas without levels

>improvised weapon master:
>You may apply a weapon property (such as versatile, reach, thrown) to any improvised weapon you use, as long as it makes sense for the weapon, but the improvised weapon is destroyed/bent out of shape after being used as such.

>Drunken strike
>While making an attack, you may decide to fall to the ground after it. If you do, you make the attack with advantage

>Crawling monkey
>Movement while prone does not provoke opportunities from enemies. You may enter enemies occupied squares while prone, but you may not stand up in such a square.

Maybe make it like Wot4E monk who can choose techniques from a list? It's called 9souls drunken fist, so having a lot of techniques makes sense.
>>
>>50708412
Yeah, marks are pretty great, eh?

Too bad that it does shit all against casters this time around, but I guess that's par for course.
>>
>>50708343
Oh, I forgot the extra damage.
The extra damage is actually pretty good on a monk who hits 4 times at level 5, and scaling up to +3 or +4...
They don't gain resistances that barbarian does.
Also, you'd have to specify the rage damage applies to attacks with dexterity.

What might then happen is a monk might take levels of barbarian to gain barbarian rage as well, and if they use strength then that's two instances of bonus damage they'd get. But, eh, going strength monk is enough of a penalty.

Hm.. Compared to Kensei monk, however, it does less damage, and the most attractive part of it is the extra damage, so you'd have to hope they nerf kensei's RAI or something.

>>50708343
So, patient defence as a reaction?
Maybe. It's nothing other monks can't do without spending 1 ki and a bonus action (less dammage).

The problem with improvised weapons is while it's fun and fluffy, it doesn't really give any benefits besides that.
Might be good if there was a bonus you got for using an improvised weapon such as 'if you attack with an improvised weapon, you can choose to shove the target 5ft away.'
I'm a bit worried about applying stuff such as prone as well because that's open monk territory. And +damage wouldn't be a good idea on that.
>>
>>50708343
Shit.

First off, don't delay the most interesting feature of the class (improvised weapon proficiency) til six. That should be baseline, level 3.

Second, drunken fist is not a fighting style you do while drunk. It's a fighting style that imitates drunkenness. It is actually highly technical. Your drunken rage concept is both inaccurate and mechanically boring. A little conceit for the heroic nature of the genre is fine, but not this mechanical monstrosity

So here's where you should start:

Level 3
Gain proficiency in acrobatics and improvised weapons, which count as monk weapons.
Intoxication doesn't impact your ability to fight or do acrobatic stunts (this is the ribbon, the conceit).

Start with that, scrap all your other ideas (they're shit), and rebuild.
>>
>>50708532
>It's a fighting style that imitates drunkenness. It is actually highly technical.

Too bad, we are basing shit on popculture, not Real Life(tm), and Jackie's character often drinks himself really drunk in Drunken Master 1 & 2 while fighting.
>>
>>50708547
Sure, because he's an alcoholic. That doesn't mean you have to go full retard and make your speshul monk class a barbarian.
>>
>>50707424
best friends play D&D when?
>>
>>50708569
No, because it makes him a better fighter. The entire buildup in DM2 is that he gets a handle on his alcoholism, realizing he doesn't have to go totally dry as long as he can control it... so he drinks industrial alcohol to get drunk, and becomes fucking impervious to pain and the big bad becomes intimidated and gives the fuck up.
>>
>>50708667
You need to open your eyes Moron. Feeling depressed, fatigued, having foggy thinking (and thus reactions), it's all symptoms of withdrawal. The reason Jackie's character got a power boost from drinking was because he was an addict going through withdrawal while sober. Any "power boost" he got from drinking was because he couldn't physically be at 100% sober. Having to drink to deaden his nerves is also a classic symptom. Since alcohol is a depressant, your body becomes used to not feeling things strongly.

This was pretty obvious in the movie, and you should feel bad for not catching it.

If you wanted to represent this in a class, the appropriate effect isn't a rage effect, or a booze tax. Just let them ignore the effects alcohol would have on fighting, and give them features from actually training in drunken fist. Aka, what I did at start.
>>
>>50708532
But those are both ribbon features, unless you're using some unusual crossbow clubbing technique.
>>
>>50707751
Aren'tthose all related to culture though?
>>
>>50708801
I suspect you are trolling me but w/e.

He becomes a better fighter in DM1 as well when he drinks, and that's before he became an addict.
>>
You could make an archetype about a monk who becomes more powerful by killing themself, but 5e wouldn't really be suited for it unless there's a vaguely logical explanation such as 'they're killing themself'.
Similarly, poisoning yourself doesn't really make sense for 5e unless you have alcohol magic or something. Which you probably don't, because what the fuck is alcohol magic anyway?
>>
>>50709012
>such as 'they're killing themself'
Holy shit I fucked up
I meant
'Blood magic'.
>>
>>50709033
>>50709012
>>50708801

Are you some sort of... Alcoholic Avenger?

Scouring the internet, looking for wrongs to right, such as someone drinking without any negative side effects (and a few positive ones to booth) in games of make believe?
>>
>>50709012
>>50709033
i was very confused
>>
>>50708937
Of course he does. The drunkenness let's him loosen up. The entire film series is a treatise on the insidious nature of addiction, and the end of the second film where Jackie loses his desperate battle with alcoholism is the lowest point. Expect a third real film, not an imitation, to see Jackie's character redeemed fully and clean sober by the end.

This is standard trilogy structuring, how is it not obvious?
>>
>>50709063
>>50709063
Read my post here again,
>>50708532
Then ask. The blood magic guy
>>50709012
>>50709033
is doing his own thang.
>>
Has anyone ever played a character where they Rolled 4d6 dropped the lowest, but put that stats on the sheet in-order of which they were rolled? Seems like it might be fun.
>>
>>50709063
I'm just here to put the 'No Fun Allowed' back into 5e by arguing anything too unreasonable being in 5e, such as halflings with longbows or cantrips that allow you to teleport.
>>
>>50709098
Usually what's done for that is 3d6 in order, but 4d6 is probably a thing too. It was more common back when stats were requirements for classes/races.

Compared to 'roll 4d6, assign', I much, much, much prefer it.

It's much more variable. If you let people assign stats, you get one character which could be identical to another extra that one character has +2 in their main stat. That's less fair.
In this, even if someone rolls 18 strength, they might end up with 8 con, which puts a notable character flaw you'll almost never ever see otherwise.
It's harsh, yes, and you can still end up with shittier stats than someone, but it generally serves the point of rolling for stats better than letting people assign stats. If you want to let people assign, just go point buy instead.

Also, make sure characters die sometimes / complete their quest and retire sometimes to keep things fresh.
>>
File: RP47LRH.png (474KB, 943x628px) Image search: [Google]
RP47LRH.png
474KB, 943x628px
>>50709012
>>50709033
>>
How is the Path of the Ancestral Guardian?
>>
>>50709098
>>50709123
If you want to combine approaches, do 4d6 drop 1 in order, and then allow a single swap at the end. That way everyone can guarantee a good primary stat for the class they want to play and still have unpredictable strengths and weaknesses.

>>50709103
Don't forget 8-int wizards!
>>
>>50708131
I think the spirit ranger features would be good for the Shepard druid.
>>
File: PlsNerfAgain.png (80KB, 322x350px) Image search: [Google]
PlsNerfAgain.png
80KB, 322x350px
Stat me, /5eg/
>>
>>50709299
Shit game/10
>>
>>50709258
Hmm. That doesn't sound too bad, actually, but personally if it was 4d6 I'm not so sure about swaps unless players weren't happy with making a character on their stats and picking a class based on them.

It rewards someone who sticks with, say, 18 strength and 8 con being a fighter by then allowing them to swap something for con, at least. So there's that, it could cater to both those who want to play a specific class (Swap over to their main stat), it'd still mean there's a lot of variance and if someone ends up with 5 con they aren't forced to play with 5 con, though they might choose to do so for reasons (since rather than just not assigning the stat there, they only have one swap and might want to use that swap on something else).

I definitely wouldn't do it if you go by the PHB's way of 'choose a class, and then do stats', but that system was broke from the start anyway. It really should honestly be 'stats and then class'.
>>
>>50709299
Nice bait m8.

Blizzard games seem to trigger people around here.
>>
>>50709103
>tfw no wholeling halfling with a short longbow
>>
>>50707424
Are gods outsiders? Also which book has stats for aasimars and tieflings?
>>
>>50709349
In the end, you just need to play a rogue with a shotbow. Longbows are only +1 damage, whch only matters for people with lots of attacks, and matters even less if sharpshooter is involved.

Or, if it's a fighter, hand crossbow would be better than a longbow anyway.
>>
>>50709386
Tieflings are in the PHB m8

And Volo's has Aasimars.
>>
>>50707424
Is this crunch balanced?
http://pastebin.com/1ecrVTKt
>>
>>50709416
Feidarashi is fine but the name is retarded.
Dwarf is a bit too strong because cold resistance is pretty good.
Amphibian is retardedly strong with that bite attack.
Lillim is fine. Interesting, even.
Goblin shouldn't have 2 proficiencies.
Hobgoblin omen should probably have a cooldown. At least a long rest; probably a week.
>>
>>50709299
Kensai/Barbarian
>>
>>50707630
Homebrew is your friend as long as you don't go full retard.
>>
>tfw psionics will never have the cool pseudo-science flavor ever again
>>
File: Plate.jpg (16KB, 236x314px) Image search: [Google]
Plate.jpg
16KB, 236x314px
How profitable would having a factory of 300 dwarves making a full set of plate mail every day be?
>>
>>50709534
How much does it costs to make them?
>>
>>50709534
Who the fuck knows?. How much does that cost? For how much do you sell them?
Fucking idiot.
>>
>>50709534
>300 dwarves
Literally 1.2 armor per dwarf a year
How many armors a blacksmith make per year?
Also, this isn't customizable
>>
>>50709534
Plate isn't mail.
That said, let's do the math. Assuming this was actually possible, you'd have to pay each dwarf a salary. Practicing a profession nets at LEAST 1 gp per day, so you'd have to pay 300 gp/day just to have your workers.
Of course, you also have to buy raw materials. In this case, they would cost 750 gp total.
Finally, this all assumes you have a workshop large enough for 300 people to work in (lol). A building that can house and provide for a couple hundred skilled hirelings costs 200 gp per day (DMG page 127).
So your total cost per day is 300+750+200=1250.
Assuming no further expenses (debatable), you could net 250 gp per day in profit.
Of course, you have to purchase the workshop first...
>>
>>50709579
Correction: operational costs would be 400 gp per day. Your daily profit just became 50 gp. Hardly seems worth the effort.
>>
>>50709416
I was disappointed when Lillim weren't a reskin of humans.
>>
>>50709579
May I ask how did you divine materials cost?
>>
>>50709098
One free 18, one free 8. Then 1d10+7 per stat in order. Its been great as far as character creations go.
>>
>>50707909
They can either stay in the town, or leave the town. Come up with 3 quests they can do in the town. Come up with they can they can do that would require them to leave the town.

In the town. These could also easily take you out of it if you want.
>Members of a hostile enemy force arrived while they were gone, attempting to gain influence with the town to turn it into an outpost.
>The resident alchemist/mage/smith hasn't hasn't been seen for days and townspeople are getting worried that something may have happened. Was the person kidnapped? Killed? Maybe he/she locked himself/herself up in their lab/study/workshop to work away, on the verge of discovering something big?
>The new gravekeeper is suspicious as fuck. Might be a necromancer. Definitely a bugbear. What is he hiding? He's a poet and performer at heart. He raises the dead to enact his plays or watch him perform them. Help him make his dream of becoming a major playwright/actor a reality, by any means necessary.

Out of the town. Offering more basic plots here to give you more freedom.
>A caravan needs guards on a trip to a large city.
>A local researcher tips them off about ancient ruins, hiding a valuable object
>While gone, an assassin/serial killer struck in the town and then fled to a major city. Find any clues you can to his identity and take off in pursuit before the trail gets cold.
>>
>>50709606
PHB, page 187. "You must expend raw materials worth half the market value."
I know it's fun to laugh at 5e for having shit crafting rules, but they ARE there, you know.
>>
>>50709626
No one ever uses them!
Admittedly, I was looking for it not under Downtime activities, and trying to find it in trade goods.
>>
>>50709534
If it wasn't dwarfs, it'd be less due to management costs.
If it's dwarfs that are DF style, management costs would probably put you in the negatives.
If it's dwarfs, you'll probably make a profit with minimal management and possibly be able to spare a little time for adventuring.

Overall, probably too much hassle for an adventurer.
>>
>>50707836
Dude, use Volo's Guide. You don't have to let them play as kenku and bugbears, but you have to throw a goddamn flail snail at them, just to fuck with their casters.
>>
I need your advice, 5eg
New to dming
My players want to go to faerun, but I don't have any content written up
They are level 10. Should I just adapt the elemental evil campaign but tweak the numbers? What should I do for the other parts of faerun?
>>
>>50708037
You can be a wizard with 8 intelligence and still cast spells like Sleep that don't require a saving throw, and you can do it just as well as any other wizard.
>>
DM running SKT here.

I really hate the transition after Nightstone to the "real campaign." I don't feel like the players have a real reason to go to Bryn Shander/Triboar/wherever. Delivering a letter notifying a family member of a death isn't exactly enticing stuff.

Zephyrus is cool, but he's kind of like this "oh hey, here's your plot" character. I don't really understand why they had the 1-4 adventure happen in Nightstone when they could have had it happen in Icewind Dale and suddenly it makes complete sense for the party to go to the "big city" of Bryn Shander. My party really wasn't keen on going up to the cloud castle since, you know, there was a cloud giant attack at Nightstone like three days prior.

I can't emphasize enough how little reason players have to go away from Nightstone. There's no reward. There's no threat. There's no "well I'm obligated because I really care about these people." It's really frustrating as a DM who's running an adventure like this. I tell the players "ok, the plot is 600 miles to the north" and its like "why did we start 600 miles away from the plot?"

Other than that the adventure is great. It's just not a smooth transition from the 1-5 content to the 5-10 content.
>>
I need a map for a mansion. I'm looking for something with at least 3 floors, hopefully with plenty of hidden things like sere entrances, hidden doors, etc. Can any of you guys help me out?
>>
>>50709711
*groan*
Yes, you can RAW, but you SHOULDN'T.
>>
So I was thinking of changing the times for learning a language to 48 days for standard languages and 72 for exotic based on this
http://blog.thelinguist.com/how-long-should-it-take-to-learn-a-language
I'd have a player write down the language they want to learn, and then either 480 or 720 next to it. Every hour they spend studying reduces that score by 1. When they hit half, they can make an INT check to communicate using that language successfully, and gain advantage on that check at 1/4.

Also, to simulate illiteracy being more common in my setting, I want to let players trade the "read and write" part of knowing a language at chargen for a tool proficiency.

Thoughts?
>>
>>50709731
I know, but that's the argument people use.
>>
>>50709761
Gotcha. I thought you were one of them.
That was one of the dumber arguments we had here in recent months. Good times.
>>
If you have Gnome Cunning and and spend a ki point to use the Diamond Soul monk feature, do you get to roll one die or two dice with advantage ?
>>
>>50709598
>>50709579
Providing suitable accomodation for all the dwarfs to move into, transporting the armour, selling the armour and human resources/foremen would put the operational costs definitely into the negatives.
If it's fine craftsmanship however, finer than whatever smiths make 1500gp items, you might be able to up the prices and get away with it, though.
Or, if you get an order to make sets for an order of knights you can reduce stuff such as retailing costs, though they might require either high quality or bulk discount.

In the end, the way the market works assumes that you SHOULD make a profit as long as you do things right. I guess the question is just how much.
>>
>>50709804
According to classical supply and demand economics, at least, the market assumes you make exactly 0 at the end of the day (including paying yourself a salary, if you've actually contributed anything). The fact that we got to 50 gp/day without operating an actual shop rather surprised me - it's almost like they didn't pull all the numbers out of their asses.
>>
Got any homebrew rules that I can use to emphasize survival during travel in the wilderness?

During Lost Mines, I noticed how my players make a big deal in getting ready, setting camp, foraging, hunting and stuff. They like keeping track of their food and I'd gradually make a point of what's going as they travel in the Phandalin area. One such memorable moment was them squatting in one of the huts in abandoned town of Corneberry during a snow-in and having to keep warm and hiding from a passing hobgoblin party.

Currently, we're doing Storm King's Thunder and with the game having a larger world and more time to travel, I want to put emphasis on the travel aspect since my players told me they loved the travel. I really want this to be engaging and so far during their travel from Phandalin to Triboar, during the travel, I made it a point to keep track of their food, set up camp at night as rangers they've met on the road have noted in giants and their entourage going at night raiding travelers. They've been hunting, trying to get comfy clothes and keeping track of the weather and shit.

However, my methods are rather generic. Just rolling on tables and just tracking their stuff here and but I'm wondering if there's more I can do? It's pretty engaging for everyone around so I wanna know if there's some rules I can implement on the idea. My main worry is that I don't want to drag it TOO long between adventure areas.
>>
>>50709299
go play shadowrun
>>
>>50709802
Advantage does not stack
>>
>>50709804
>Providing suitable accomodation for all the dwarfs to move into,

That much, I assume, would fall under the Dwarves own paycheck.
>>
>>50709862
This, keep cyberpunk characters in cyberpunk games.
>>
>>50709692

Man, flail snail's are fucking legit.
>>
>>50709878
>The ki point is spent after you've failed the throw wih advantage. I am asking wether the reroll is done with or without advantage.
>>
>>50709720

I dealt with this disconnect by asking my players their backstories before we start. If they mention an uncle or a certain person important in their backstory, I happen to let him/her appear amongst the Nightstone survivors. I also mix it up and have it that rogue's mentor that he mentioned in his backstory was in Triboar. The innkeep of Nighstone, I retooled him that he was around the time the cloud giants went down to get the night stone and overheard (knowing Giant) about attacks on Triboar (or the other two towns, depending on where I set things up) to throw some breadcrumbs as the chapter goes.

I just litter those kind of foreshadows and complement it with players backstories and what they want out of their character that I've learned pre-session and just try to set it up so when chapter 1 ends, there's a sense of connection to get to these places.
>>
>>50709882
You still have to provide accomodation for the dwarfs to move into and then rent it out to them, which will cause a short-term deficit but perhaps a long-term payoff.

You can't have your dwarfs living two miles away.
Your only hope of avoiding this is in a dwarf city where all dwarfs live relatively close to each other or have a transport system already in place. Otherwise, even in a city, it may take time for whatever 300 dwarfs in the city you've taken to get places.

Not to mention, a 300-person workshop probably costs even more in such a city and you're likely to have to pay tax and other for permission to the dwarf mayor of the city.

>>50709843
Yeah, honestly, that's surprising. I expected the economy to be broken.
>>
>>50709913
That's a good question in general. If something allows you to reroll, and you had advantage/disadvantage the first time, do you keep it?
>>
>>50709942
>roll ST with adv
>take highest result
>spend 1 ki
>roll one more time
It's just an extra roll, no adv/disadv
>>
Now I really want to roll a Wizard with 8 INT...
What have you done to me /5eg/...
>>
>>50710045
Nothing, you were just stupid to begin with.
>>
>>50710051
>8 INT
>>
File: IMG_0311.jpg (35KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0311.jpg
35KB, 300x300px
Can someone post the consolidated character options PDF? I'm on my phone otherwise I would get it from the mega
>>
>>50710045
Roll an orc wizard with 6 int, a lot better
>>
>>50710066
>gee, I want to play a deliberately ineffective build based on a shitty, unfunny meme
>I guess the reason isn't because I'm a fucking retard, but because of the other retards who spammed the meme!
>>
>>50709978
If the factory were located in a dwarf city however, not only would we not need to pay for housing for the employees, but it would be safe to say ore and other raw materials would be nearby as well. And a large organization like this could probably secure contracts for materials as well, reducing cost.

We also wouldn't need to spend as much transporting materials in and product out, as merchants selling our armor could be located in the very same city. Additionally, if craftsmanship were of excellent dwarven caliber, a bit of reputation and luck could secure the factory a work contract for either the city army, or a king's on the surface. A contract like that would certainly help cover various costs at least.
>>
>>50710084
You must have missed the actual meme. The build (actually 8 CHA sorc) was quite strong. Doesn't change the fact that it was dumb as shit.
>>
>>50710097
Post the build
>>
>>50709973
Yeah, I've managed to set everything up so the later story things should flow well. I just hadn't realized until it was too late that Zephyrus is literally a plot distribution device as he is written in the book.

My party was ok with it thankfully. I talked with them when they suggested going to Waterdeep to find the rest of the Nandar family and told them that I'm ok with that being an option, but I had nothing prepared for them if they preferred to pursue that. I told them that if they hopped on the railroad for this one section that the rest of the adventure makes much more sense (I think).
>>
>>50710013
thx
>>
Have we had a UA for additional backgrounds yet?

I'd very much like some more variety.
>>
>>50710112
I was trying to forget. It used some combination of feats and dips to get proficiencies with heavy armor and martial weapons, then cast haste on itself and ran around hitting things.

>>50710144
SCAG has a few, I believe.
>>
>>50710097
>>50710084
Let's see... from my memory...

Level 6 Favored Soul Sorcerer
Variant Human
14(+1) 14 15(+1) 8 12 8
Feat: Weapon Master for Great Sword and +1 STR, GWM

AC is 19 (or 24 with shield)

Combat sequence is 4 attacks (attack,extra attack,haste,quicken GFB).
>>
>>50710161
>AC is 19
How?
>>
>>50710161
How does AC go from 19 all the way to 24 with just the addition of a shield?
>>
>>50710161
>weapon master
Barfing goose.jpg

I thought they got martial proficiency anyway.

Shame sorcerer doesn't have reactions or free bonuses for PAM+GWM, but eh, they can spend that on +2 strength instead.
>>
>>50710190
Shield SPELL
>>
I need some good Santa/Christmas-themed puzzles and problem-solving encounters. Nothing too hard, but enough to make the players have to think. Any ideas?
>>
>>50710186
Looks like an error, since that's medium armour+shield.
>>
>>50710186
15 from medium armor + 2 from dex + 2 from haste?
>>
>>50710161
With blink and mirror image up
>>
>>50710212
Figured it, thanks
>>
>>50710161
No, I think the feat was Heavily Armored for plate.
>>
>>50710212
Oh, right.

Goddamn haste.

Though, it's a bit of a problem that they're casting it on themself and engaging in melee, as they're exposing themself to damage while concentrating on a spell that makes them lose a turn if they lose concentration (or makes two players lose turns if twinned).

They should probably get warcaster for booming blade reaction shenanigans + the combined effect of advantage on concentration saves + high con saves. And not having to worry about bouncing their sword around.
>>
>>50710242
It could be. Then his DEX might be lower?
>>
>>50710204
Dungeon: A Workshop inhabited by a beholder who was taunted into becoming a santa like figure to prove himself.
Hook: Local Church want to instill belief in aureil or winter seity to children by introducing not christmas, will pay the adventurers
Problem: Who even knows what the kids want?
>>
>>50710161
What about this:

Mountain Dwarf Wizard (Abjurer)
17 14 17 8 10 8
AC 17 (can cast haste and shield to improve it)
>>
>>50710317
The problem is that Wizard lack Extra attack and Quicken spell.
>>
>>50710317
Go 1 (armor of agathys) or 2 (elditch blast and such as a cantrip for when you're not using spell slots, and possible mage armour at-will if you want to bolster your arcane ward back up) levels into warlock.

Upcasting armor of agathys as high as you can.

When you take damage, your arcane ward takes damage and the enemy takes armor of agathy's damage until your arcane ward runs out, at which point your temporary HP takes damage instead. You'll be tough enough to stay at melee range where armor of agathys would apply.
>>
>>50710204
Identify which elf killed the fat gnome bard in red who wouldn't stop cracking bad jokes.

The answer is all of them. Not for some complicated legal reason. They just all got sick and tired of chrsitmas bullshit being shoehorned into every part of their lives.

>Doesn't know what escapism is.
>>
>>50710072
Pls respond
>>
>>50707424
I played a trickster cleric one time like six months ago, and my group is STILL arguing over how Invoke Duplicity works.
>>
>>50709726

Use the map from Resident Evil 1.
>>
Just a reminder that the 8 CHA Sorcerer guy was just screwing around and not optimizing.

His build would be a lot better with 1 level dip in fighter at the start.
>>
>>50710456
>not banning multiclass
>>
>>50710266
>>50710378
I appreciate the ideas, but I already have the core adventure. i just need some stuff to put in the dungeon for encounters. I'm looking for less combat-oriented stuff.
>>
>>50710317
Why put the 14 in dex? You arent using it, might as well put it in int for spells or wis for perception or something
>>
>>50707569
>they're killing psionics, the Mystic, and making another bad Fighter archetype
>we'll never get the Dark Sun revival we deserve
thanks, wizards
>>
>>50710474
>not allowing multiclass
Why?
Your players won't change who they are because you limit them. If there's a min-maxer who does everything for the sake of being the best, they can simply go full wizard, full druid or full paladin, or some other top-tier-without-multiclass class.
Anyone who wants to try something like bladelock will get cucked.

If anything, you'll only make things worse.
>>
>>50710520
Dwarf can wear medium armor.
>>
>>50710520
+2 AC
>>
>>50710520
Even with heavy armour, dex is still used for stealth (And being able to change into breastplate for no stealth disadvantage at the cost of 2 AC instead of 4 AC) and initiative and dex saves,as well as some sorts of ranged attack, handicraft checks and unarmoured defence if you're not allowed to sleep in your armour. Also for mirror image's clone AC.

Wisdom is pretty much on-par with dexterity in this case if they wore heavy armour, though int for spells would be better.
>>
Are their any general rules, guidelines, or full guides on making spell lists for homebrew classes? I'm making more of a utility caster and I'm not sure where to start when it comes to making the spell list
>>
File: openheart.png (244KB, 450x314px) Image search: [Google]
openheart.png
244KB, 450x314px
I'm going to propose these houserules for movement to my group this weekend. What do you guys think?
Note: all of these use the Ability Score, not the modifier

Three Tier Movement Speed
>Normal Move=(((DEX+CON)/2)*3)-racial modifiers
This is your regular movement speed. Racial modifiers are applied after the calculation, so a Wood elf with 14 DEX and 10 CON would have a move of 41.

>Dash Move=(STR+DEX+CON)+racial modifiers
This is the move you use when dashing (obviously). If you take the dash action you add this on top of your regular movement. You may only use your dash move 10 turns in a row

>Long Distance Move= CON*3+ racial modifiers
This is for movement lasting longer than 20 turns.

Did I miss anything? Any unforeseen consequences that I'm missing?
>>
>>50710144
Backgrounds are the easiest thing to make up, and it's even encouraged in the four books. Just pick two skills, a tool or a language, and a ribbon or social benefit that all fit together into a single idea. Are you looking for something in particular? Or are you just looking for "more"?
>>
>>50710653
For what purpose?
>>
>>50710653
> Adding unnecessary complicate rule to 5e
Why don't you go back to 3.pf?
>>
>>50710653
It doesn't take into account the possibility of dashing more than once in a turn (full action dash + bonus dash), though I can sort of understand if you want to disallow this.

Also, it uses too much of the 'god-stats'. Why even get 15 strength to not lose 10ft from wearing heavy armour when you could just have a high dex/con?
>>
>>50710653
>fucking str even more
Dex is already more useful, now str characters wont even be avle to get to their target
>>
>>50710161
>>50710097
>>50710112
>>50710186
>>50710212
>>50710249
Oh shit people talking about my build. I love Gishes and am quite proud of him so let me go ham breaking it out fully for you

Preface: The DM granted everyone a free bonus feat at level 1.

Favoured Soul Sorcerer 6
Variant Human using statbuy & Flat HP gain (4+CON)
Stats: 16STR 14DEX 16CON 8INT 10WIS 10CHA
Feats: Weapon Master (+1Dex), Great Weapon master, Alert
Init +7, HP45 base AC 18/20 depending equip
Equip: Halfplate, Greatsword +1 OR Flail + Shield, Cloak of Prot +1
Since sorcs have prof in Con save, +7 vs concentration checks
Metamagic Quicken & Subtle (Uncounterable CS and easy escape whenever needed)

His spells are all things that help the party (utility such as enlarge/reduce, enhance ability, counterspell, invisibility etc) while his spells (buff) are Haste, Mirror Image, Shield, Blink etc

So: Combat goes like this
Round 1: Haste, Attack once at +7 for 2d6+4/+2 2d6+14. Bonus action available if needed + shield rxn
AC now 20/22 (25/27 if shield + advantage on reflex and 60ft move)
Rd2: Attack 3 times 6d6+12/42, Bonus action Mirror image rxn shield if needed
Rd3: Attack 3 times 6d6+12/42, Bonus Action blink shield if needed.
Must be balance out however by if there is an enemy caster and holding rxn for CS.
After that bonus actions can be used for quickened magic missiles (free extra 3d4+3 or thunderwaves) or misty step

If combat starts going really bad he just leaves via subtle inviibility or (at 7th) subtle dimension door (uncounterable)

Basically have to hit him with three+ casters all launching fireballs at him and 1 rounding him.
Combines my absolute love of martials with being able to do more than 'I hit, end turn' and do things out of combat
>>
>>50708089
Well, Groggy McNard, I sure hope you're inflicting penalties and forcing your players to RP out the effects of:
>managing the purchase and consumption of food and drink; emptying of their bowels; intestinal parasites or other buggies resulting from eating improperly-sourced or prepared food, water; sanitary conditions both in town and on the road
>casters receiving less sleep time overall during long rests, compared to martials who do not have to pray or study for their class abilities and can conk out for a full 8 hours if they want
>casters having no background preparation for a life of rugged adventuring compared to martials who grew up living on the streets, the mountains, or marching in a company; getting blisters and whining about how their underwear is dirty and the sun is hot and their robes are sweaty and they need to take a break in the shade and sip some tea from the tower's kitchen that doesn't exist out on the road
>the added bulk that rain and water-based spells add to cloth-wearing PCs compared to their armor-toting allies who see most of it slide harmlessly off them
>ambushes by enemies that are not just clever enough to strike when the martials are out of their armor, but when the casters can be separated from their components, foci, and spellbooks
and more
>>
>>50709012
>Monk with alcohol magic

You mean the drunken master style?
>>
>>50710653
I'd simply keep speed as-is and do this:

1. Set conditions for 'pursuit'. Once pursuit begins you no longer use your ordinary speed.
2. You get a bonus to pursuit rolls equal to:
+STRMODIFIER, +((Speed-30ft)/5ft), +PROFMOD if you have an additional dash (Monks must spend 1ki/round for this. Having two sources of additional dash does not stack.)
There are con saves after a certain number of pursuit rounds to not start losing speed.

Kinda like the DMG pursuits.
>>
>>50710783
There's a different between 'I'm drunk, so I'm better!' and 'magic fuelled by alcohol'.
You can barely make alcohol magic make sense unless you're farting out flames as you run like some sort of alcohol-driven car.
>>
>>50710670
>>50710672
Because me and my players like experimenting with new rules, and we like using the 5e rules as scaffolding to build our own game on.
Also, I enjoy trying to come up with simple ways to improve virsimillitude, so fuck off.

>>50710682
>>50710693
Good point. It actually doesn't make a ton of sense to use DEX as a movement score, since that's about your hand-eye coordination.

How about this?

>normal move=(10+size mod)*3
>Dash move= (STR+size mod)*3
>Long Distance Move=(CON+size mod)*3
>>
>>50710809
>>50710653
Oh, also, acrobatics rolls to avoid obstacles.

Strength should be the main driving factor there, but I wouldn't hand it over to athletics as athletics is already too useful so instead bonus dashes giving proficiency seems a nice reward to rogues.
>>
>>50708089
I bet you're one of those shit DMs who allows worn or one-handed foci and spell component pouches. Get the fuck out. If martials need to spend several minutes to take their armor off whenever they have a nap, and minutes to put it back on when you drop some fucking orcs on their head, but casters can completely skip the realism of sourcing rare and bizarre spell components from the world or local shops with unreliable supplies, you're a fucker.

And to all you other fuckers >>50708110 >>50708121 jerking yourselves off over your inconsistent and ill-informed love of the same non-rule, don't think that just because your table is staffed by relucant masochists who've been worn down by decades of martial-hating systems and have developed fucking Stockholm syndrome for their shit DMs that everyone else is going to view your little anecdote as proof that you're reasonable and not anything other than a bunch of flying faggots.

Oh, sorry dipshit, you're not even capable of Flying today because you failed your Nature check to determine if the feathers you bought at the last town--which weren't cleaned properly and are now rotting, making it more likely you'll attract the attention of carrion-eaters, goblins, and whatever else--weren't WING feathers of a bird. Oh, you want to use that rare harpy feather from a few sessions ago? Tough luck, pencildick. Surely someone with your beefy Intelligence should have known that harpies aren't members of the Aves class and don't count as "birds".
>>
>>50710826
Then how do you explain magical potions?
>>
>>50710827
I'd say dex does make sense for normal move score, but it's already too much of a god-stat, as is con. Hand-eye co-ordination is usfeul as you're not actually moving very far in combat, but you're trying to juggle actions and such while moving normally.

Oh, and that looks like you're giving wood elves 45ft move there.

Still, that's a lot better if dash move is the additional speed added when you dash rather than the final speed. Only concern is long distance move is entirely reliant on one of the two already overpowered stats everybody always puts higher numbers in, but eh. It makes sense for it to be str/con at that point.
>>
>>50710624
They already have four different utility casters (clerics, druids, bards, and wizards.) If those are somehow insufficient for your needs, you have very strenge needs and should articulate them more so that we can help you.
>>
>>50710868
Alcohol is just alcohol. You can't really call it magical unless it's magical alcohol.
Blood can easily be seen to be 'the essence of life that drives even magical creatures', which can make more sense if you use blood magic.
Magic potions use a variety of ingredients, often magical in nature, which people will be more accepting of.

Blood magic makes more sense than alcohol magic, as does herbal/nature magic.

Yes, none of it is realistic, but it's about suspension of disbelief.
>>
File: 65416656165.jpg (62KB, 720x544px) Image search: [Google]
65416656165.jpg
62KB, 720x544px
>all of these people shitting on a GM for following the rules clearly written in the book
wtf happened to this board
An ambush in the middle of the night isn't affected by sleeping in armor. Doesn't matter what your AC is if your throat gets slit
>>
>>50708089
His own fault for never dipping that Dragon Sorcerrer level for free AC.
>>
>>50710912
>all of these people shitting on a GM for following the rules clearly written in the book
Except the book doesn't say "anyone who sleeps in armor takes fatigue".
>>
Hey, so all this time I thought the Use an
Object action was for stuff like levers - parts of the environment.

But rereading that, it seems like it also applies to equipment. So does that mean a Thief can drink a healing potion or throw caltrops as a bonus action?
>>
>>50710072 >>50710400
Here is a better version of what you're looking for. It has everything the other one does, but it looks better, and therefore is better.
>>
>>50710912
>whines about following the rules clearly written in the book
>there is no armor exhaustion
>sleeping characters merely grant advantage, not automatic hits
>a hit on a sleeping character isn't instant death, it's merely a crit
>even if sleeping in armor granted exhaustion, finishing your rest removes exhaustion as long as you had a snack and a sip of water
>>
Can you substitute cookie dough for clay when making a golem?
>>
>>50710826
Not really. If being drunk improves your coordination rather than harming it, there's something going on there. You could argue that alcohol could improve your Charisma by lowering your inhibitions, but that's it. Real drunken boxers don't actually get better when drunk; they just have a style where their unpredictable movements simulate drunkenness.
>>
>>50710959
>even if sleeping in armor granted exhaustion, finishing your rest removes exhaustion
Oh shit, trash DMs blown the fuck out.
>w-w-w-well you get TWO levels of exhaustion for sleeping in armor so you still net one level after the rest!!!!
>>
>>50710961
Can you pay your electric bill with monopoly money?
>>
>>50710956
Technically potions count as magic items, which aren't used with the Use an Object action. Mundane items like caltrops and healer's kits can indeed be used as a bonus action with Fast Hands.
>>
>>50708090
He said based though, not him.

>>50708038
Death Cleric, Necromancy Wizard are some options, if Death Cleric maybe dip into Monk for Unarmored defense and Martial arts.
>>
>>50710937
>>50710959
Huh, looks like there aren't any rules about that. I stand corrected.
However this:
>sleeping characters merely grant advantage, not automatic hits
>a hit on a sleeping character isn't instant death, it's merely a crit
Is always going to be retarded.
>>
File: monopoly.gif (33KB, 425x254px) Image search: [Google]
monopoly.gif
33KB, 425x254px
>>50710972
In the game monopoly you can
>>
>>50710972
With a good enough Deception check, you can do anything.

(When euros first debuted, there was, in fact, several instances of people playing for things with Monopoly money and getting away with it, including at least one guy who got an expensive meal at a French restaurant).
>>
>>50710961
A cookie golem would require its own unique construction formula. Find a Cookie Golem Manual or conduct enough experimentation to write one.
>>
>>50710979
I can't find the rule that says Use an Object excludes anything magical?
>>
>>50710961
Provided it's a gingerbread cookie golem, yes.
>>
>>50710962
Intoxication decreases sensitivity to pain and relaxes muscles, the tenseness of which is one of the major causes of injury in things like falls and car accidents.

There are studies which show drunks in car crashes and the like suffer less severe injuries overall, even when accounting for position in a crash and similarity of accidents, compared to sober individuals.
>>
>>50710995
DMG p.141. It's in a shitty location, I know.
>>
>>50710957
Shit, there were spelling mistakes. Here's some corrections.
>>
>>50711013
Then maybe you want to houserule that it gives you very slight damage reduction, but it doesn't make you punch good. It makes you fucking clumsy.
>>
>>50711020
Thanks
>>
>>50710962
That's the premise. It doesn't make any sense by conventional standards, and therefore it'd have to be alcoholmagic to work. The problem is alcohol magic doesn't really seem like a thing.
>>
Does anyone know the page of the ruling for "you can spend a short rest studying a magical object, if you do, you learn its properties"?

But if I'm just crazy and I'm remembering reading things that don't exist that'd be cool to know too.
>>
>>50711034
>Ghostwise halfling
>PHB
You dun goofed m8
>>
>>50708197
Here's mine.

LvL 3. Wineskin arts

You are proficient with improvised weapons and treat them as monk weapons.
As a reaction you may tumble up to half your movement speed for 1 ki and make Athletics Dex save (DC 13) to land safely. Land prone on a failed save.

LvL 6. Master of 9 brews

You gain proficiency with the herbalists and brewers kit.
As an action you may expend ki to imbue drinks with healing properties equalling your Monk lvl + Wis mod in Hit points recovered per ki point spent on refinement.
Anyone excluding your self drinking more than three such drinks per day must make a Con save against your Ki save DC or take a level of exauhstion.

LvL 11. Swaying monkey

You never get knocked prone , getting up doesn't cost you any movement and when you take the dodge reaction you may hit a target withing 5 ft of you with an unarmed strike.

LvL 17. Dragon Sages brew

As an action you may consume one ki infused drink and spend 2 ki to unleash a draconic breath attack.

You unleash a fiery breath attack in a 5ft wide and 90 ft long line.
All targets within the affected space must make a Dex saving throw against your Ki save DC or take 5d10+Wis mod fire damage on a failed save or half as much on a succesfull save.
>>
>>50711058
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DASVxFS5tg#t=3m26
Why do you hate fun
>>
>>50710984
I see the "HP are meat points" fallacy strikes again. If you damage a sleeping creature but don't deal enough to kill them, it means they've woken up in time to make a partial response to your attack and avoid a fatal injury.

Most people in the world only have one or two hit die, which means they're easy to kill while sleeping. The same is not true of a high level adventurer with a honed danger sense.
>>
>>50711075
>make athletics dex save
There are so many things wrong with this.
Not to mention, there are no triggers to this reaction. There must be a trigger.
You probably shouldn't have a save as part of such an action as not only does it overcomplicate things it makes you wonder why your hard-trained monk is so fucking bad at tumbling.
>>
>>50711034
Which Unearthed Arcana was the warforged released for?
>>
>>50710826
>>50710962
>>50711013
Precisely, people actually get lesser injuries when they're drunk, so it should add Constitution if anything
>>
>>50711070
Shit. Still working on it, apparently. It still looks better overall, which was the main point.
>>
>>50711101
The Eberron one, same one that had the Artificer kit, Shifter race, and Dragonmarked feat.
>>
>>50711089
>I see the "HP are meat points" fallacy strikes again.
It's not going to be a fallacy until someone comes up with an alternate explanation for surviving full-body magma immersion that actually makes sense.
>>
>>50710956
So if you want to be a thief combat medic, take the Healer feat and proceed to heal people with bonus actions in the middle of fights.
>>
>>50711075
>>50711099
Alright, level 6:
>if you have a higher save, it becomes harder to save against it
Yes, it is more potent but a level 20 monk with -5 to their wisdom modifier would make a far better brewer than a +5 one, simply because they can drink so many.

Also, the monk can make a ridiculous number of these drinks a day.

>make a drink with 20 ki points, it instantly heals anyone
>wait a short rest
>make another noe
>do this for 10 days until you have so many of them it's laughable

>dodge reaction
What
... What.
You mean wineskin arts, right? Is the target within 5ft before or after the tumble?

>level 17
Only problem with this is with infinite drinks you have infinite uses. It's fine once there's a limited number of drinks.

Also, back to level 3, 'there's so many things wrong with this'
Athletics is not usually dex.
Saves do not use skills.
>>
>>50711089
If anyone is making the 'HP are meatpoints' fallacy it's you. If someone is asleep, and someone sneaks into their tent and cuts their throat with a knife, they're dead. Doesn't matter how tough they are, doesn't matter how "refined their danger sense is", they're DEAD.

If the characters didn't detect the person coming in then they didn't detect them, doesn't matter how many hit points they have.

When the players sneak into the camp to assassinate the general in his sleep, should they not be able to stab him in the bottom of the skull? Seriously, it's fucking stupid bro
>>
>>50711132
You're just that badass, because D&D is that kind of game.
>>
>>50711067
I knew it's in DMG, magic item secrion somewhere. Probably at the start?
>>
>>50711135
Yup! Revive people with one hand while fencing enemies with the other.
>>
>>50710877
It's a sort of summoner inspired half-caster that would mainly use its spells for a mix of crowd control and buffs. I was mostly curious if there were any general rules for making spell lists ie don't have too many concentration spells for a spell slot, at least one damage spell or one cc spell per slot, etc.
>>
>>50711132
HP is simply the will to fight on. Once you run out of HP, you fall unconscious due to standing in the intense heat.
You walk into the magma? The DM will probably rule that you just instantly die unless you have fire immunity, or you might last a couple of rounds with high HP and resistance. There are effects that instantly kill you without affecting HP.
>>
>>50711164
Thanks for the tip, I've been scouring the PHB. Hopefully lll find it now
>>
>>50711099
Okay maybe a DC 10 is in order for that. But can't have it be free shit at lvl 3 otherwise people would just dip for it.

And at lvl 11 it is migitated by never getting prone again.

As for the trigger it may be a reaction when taking damage from any source?

>>50711148

>Lvl 6 feature

Maybe a DC 16 minus the Monks Wis mod would be in order and limit it to a a third of your monk levels rounded down.

>dodge reaction
patient defense is what i meant
basically you get an attack of opportunity out of it now

>ATHLETICS
fuck me i meant Accrobatics.
>>
>>50711067
>>50711164
>>50711190
Identifying a magic item DMG p.136
>>
>>50711132
Leidenfrost effect.

You sweat as you are near magma. Upon immersion, your sweat flash-boils and creates an insulating layer of water vapor which, being a poor conductor of heat, keeps you unmelted. The vapor cannot easily escape due to the viscosity and density of the magma, allowing you to retain your protective sweat-fog bubble.
>>
File: dnd_4new_event_gameday_pic3_en.jpg (195KB, 687x347px) Image search: [Google]
dnd_4new_event_gameday_pic3_en.jpg
195KB, 687x347px
is it okay to make up relatives or friends of my PC's as a DM? Or should I ask them who theirs is? and what do you do as a DM when a player can't come up with something? Just make one for them? I'm asking because we're having a hard time getting my new players through Chapter 4 of the backgrounds section.
>>
What are the way to get proficiency in saving throws

>Starting class gives you 2
>Resilient feat
>Diamond Soul monk feature

What else ?
>>
>>50711203
Water vapor is hotter than boiling water. Ignoring everything else about this situation being surrounding by a layer of water vapor would be incredibly painful
>>
>>50711150
>throat-slitting is intantaneous death
>high-level adventurers with tons of experience, luck, and HP don't have burly neck muscles and a carotid artery that's slightly out of place due to having been throatpunched by several orcs and drow over the course of their illustrious adventuring career
>implying your assassin actually cut deep enough to kill and their hand wasn't stayed somewhat by their subconscious admiration or fear of you plus their own unsuppressable reluctance to kill, even after all these years of sleepmurder
>>
>>50711221
The best thing you can do is cooperate and brainstorm with your players when it comes to specific people in their background. If they won't settle on something, then force your hand and make up something for them by yourself
>>
>>50711231
And you take damage, don't you?
>>
File: 1461085237907.jpg (145KB, 776x602px) Image search: [Google]
1461085237907.jpg
145KB, 776x602px
>>50711089
>Implying hit points aren't meat points
>implying HIT points are luck points
>implying that having a stronger constitution makes you luckier
>implying stronger armor protects your luck pool
>implying barbarians are just luckier than wizards
>implying that hits with arrows and shit are actually just misses that drain your luck
>implying trolls regenerate luck every turn
>implying that the tarrasque is just the luckiest being in existence
This argument seriously just needs to fucking die. HP are meat points. Fucking deal with it.
>>
>>50711265

okay. should I tell them that I will be forced to do that or just keep it from them?
>>
>>50711270
For you.
>>
>>50707424
>What's the rules misunderstanding people have that frustrates you most?
Polymorph.
People immediately read it and decide "dragon" but you can't goddamn do that, because it specifies beasts.
It's more annoying because the GM I had at that point blatantly favored it because "it's fun" and "helps people learn the rules" despite it specifically not being fun or a learning experience for anyone.
>>
>>50711150
>"I think we should camp for the night"
>"Sure. Roll a perception check"
>"Um, a 4. Plus modifiers, that's like a 9"
>"Oh well. Roll a new character."
Top fun
>>
>>50711276
Tell them if they don't have something done by session 1, then you're picking for them. Character creation shouldn't take THAT long (unless you're playing with 12 yr old Mary sues who need PERFECT in depth backgrounds). Honestly it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Unless it's a character that's super important to their background and might be relevant to their character hook, I'd just leave back story characters as generic mooks who were ultimately unimportant outside character background
>>
>>50711273
It's an ABSTRACTION.
IT IS WHAT IT MAKES SENSE TO BE AT THE MOMENT.
>>
Hitpoints are meat points. This is true in 90% of games played in 5e, because DMs don't like saying "his sword misses you, but in a way that erodes your fighting spirit" or some stale variation thereof anytime a player gets hit.
>>
>>50711231
>hold hand above boiling pot of water
>get burned far more horribly from the steam rising off it than from submerging your hand
Doesn't work like that. There's a host of physical and thermodynamic properties you're overlooking here, chief among them being the mass and density of the heated material. There are some fucking shrimp that make little bubbles when they clack their claws, and said bubbles experience temperatures four times hotter than the surface of the sun as the collapse, yet the oceans do not boil away each time a shrimp goes snicker-snack because the bubbles are fucking miniscule and a whole lot of 200'C metal in your hand is more heat than 1/10th a grain of sand heated to 3,000'C.
>>
>>50711160
>You're just that badass
Meatpoints.

>>50711179
>HP is simply the will to fight on.
Then why is HP determined by a physical stat instead of a mental one?

>>50711203
>Leidenfrost effect.
While that is very clever and I must applaud you, I think we both know that magma's too hot for sweat vapor to provide any protection.
>>
>>50711150
If someone successfully cuts their throat with a knife, then yes, they're dead. If the attack doesn't deal enough damage to kill them, then obviously the attempt wasn't successful and a different course of events has taken place. One way to describe that situation is that the sleeper wakes up in time to avoid a fatal blow, or perhaps the killer's knife slips because they don't entirely have the nerve for the job.

Note that if the killer is a trained assassin, he likely does have the nerve and the skill to pull off what you're describing. That's because his class abilities are designed precisely for such acts. In the context of the genre and the game you shouldn't assume that literally every mook in the world can do the same thing.
>>
I'm a new player making my first character. I had an idea for a terrible cleric--a smooth-talking, self-interested, handsome-but-dumb kid. He got kicked out of his monastery and told to walk the earth at 18. He travels from town to town running petty scams, tries to sleep with married women (and fails miserably), and generally fucks up everywhere. He's not a bad kid though, just young and dumb. The type that eventually does the right thing after trying everything else first. Which turns out to be exactly what his Goddess likes in a priest, because she's the Goddess of Second Chances, and if she can turn this scrub into a real Cleric he deserves to become Pope.

How should I stat/build this character? Heavy on Wisdom and Charisma, naturally, but do Clerics really need Strength too? If he needs strength I was gonna ignore Dex and Int (he worked out a lot but skipped leg day, and never hit the books), but is that wise?
>>
>>50711193
Patient defence is a bonus action. You'd have to get an attack out of it, which would turn it generally more powerful than flurry of blows would be. You lose one of four punches in order for all attacks against you to have disadvantage.
The problem with the DC is if it reaches 11, there will be people at the higher levels who will be gauranteed to succeed on that DC.
It definitely needs some sort of limitation, such as 'you can only have three of these drinks at a time, and their effectiveness fades after a short rest'.

>>50711335
Constitution is not purely physical.
If it was purely physical, it would be based off of strength instead.
Constitution works on concentration checks - you're resisting pain.
>>
>>50711320

oh okay. One of the hardest things that I do is over prepare backstory/connections and characters. I have all this detailed information about these people but when it comes to constructing the encounter I never put as much effort into that. How do I stop being so autistic?
>>
>>50711349
>Hitpoints aren't meat points, but concentration checks as a result of losing luck points mean you're resisting pain

If you can't even keep your own argument internally consistent, how do you expect rational beings to?
>>
>>50711227
Slippery Mind rogue feature
UA Samurai also has one for Wisdom saves
>>
>>50711339
Based on your character, I'd go for as high as you can get your WIS, get a 14 DEX, and spend the rest of your points on whatever you want (probably CHA). Even if your CHA isn't very high you'll have solid social/face skills if you gain proficiency in social skills like Persuasion and Deception. I don't remember the cleric skill list off the top of my head, but you can probably get those skills through a background.
>>
>>50711334
When you hold you hand over a pot of boiling water the steam is going all over the place, not forcibly into and around your hand. In the lava scenario the guy said your sweat flash boils and the steam forms a layer between you and the lava. Having no where else to go the heat from the steam would transfer to your skin, burning you.

I dont see what your analogy and shrimp example have to do with using flash-boiled sweat to protect yourself from complete submersion in lava. The things you said weren't wrong, I just think they don't really apply.
>>
File: tokipsych.gif (176KB, 320x216px) Image search: [Google]
tokipsych.gif
176KB, 320x216px
>>50711325
>the goblin swings his scimitar at your gut, but you dodge out of the way at the last moment. unfortunately, such a quick movement really tuckered you out, so you take 6 damage from the physical exertion
>uh, i'm wearing fullplate. can i just let him hit me instead
>oh sure. the scimitar blonks harmlessly off your thick plate armor
>cool
>but the chilling sound of metal against metal and the knowledge that only a thin layer of cut-rate, human-forged iron sends a creeping dread through your psyche, making you painfully aware of your own mortality and the frailty of life. you take 6 damage from the existential peril
>>
>>50711404
>complete submersion in lava
But that's even cooler on average than magma, Anon!
>>
>>50711375
I never said anything about luck points myself, but if luck points come into play then it's still consistent.

You lose luck points, meaning that you had to dodge a blow that would have otherwise taken your head which means you have to try to maintain concentration proportional to your dodge.
If you're in heavy armour? Resisting the concussion from the weapon hitting your armour from distracting your spell.
>>
>>50711389

I really like the idea of a brawny idiot teenager who skipped both classes and leg day though. now that I typed it out, haha.

I'm gonna start him with 15 CHA and a peach fuzz goatee, and when he gets his first ability point I'm gonna shave off the fuzz and say that's why his charisma suddenly went up.
>>
>>50711349
>Constitution is not purely physical.
>If it was purely physical, it would be based off of strength instead.
No anon, you have it all wrong. Strength only represents muscle power, Consitution represents everything else about your body that makes it healthy, hardy, difficult to hurt, etc.
>>
>>50711370
Unless the players are likely to directly interact with a character you're implementing, don't worry too much about background and relationships. You might wanna know a blacksmiths personality, basics about his family life, and how his business is doing, but you don't need to know the name of his sister-in-laws first born son. A list of generic names, personalities, and boring backstories is nice to have when players decide to meet a character you didn't plan for. Just make like a list of 10 names for each gender and a handful of vague personalities (shy, headstrong, competitive, etc) and you'll probably be ok for random NPCs.
>>
>>50711444
>but if luck points come into play then it's still consistent.
Explain full-body magma immersion then.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2MB, 700x480px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 700x480px
>>50711409
>>
>>50709098
I don't know if you're still here but I did something stupid with my players on my latest campaign and I'm regreting it. I thought starting off with badasses sounded like fun so I let them do 4d6, drop lowest, 7 times, drop the lowest and assign. Needless to say, they're all overpowered but one in particular rolled very well. She got 17,16,16,16,13,9. She's still in character creation so they haven't been assigned yet but whatever it ends up being, I'm sure it will be ridiculous.
Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in.
>>
>>50711404
Have you ever tried to submerge a sweaty hand or your entire body in magma? It works just fine. Go to Hawaii, find a volcanic cavern, and try it out.
>>
>>50711339
>>50711389
Yup, even without a super-high charisma, your proficiency bonus will offset and eventually outgrow any ability modifiers.

What domain are you looking at? If you don't want to use STR, you could go with Light or Arcana and use ranged spells, or I guess you could even be a DEX cleric with Trickery or Knowledge? Knowledge lets you get temporary proficiencies and suggestion, trickery lets you hide.
>>
>>50711193
>>50711075
>>50711099
>>50711193
>>50711349

So let me word that shit better.

LvL 3. Wineskin arts

You are proficient with improvised weapons and treat them as monk weapons.
When you take damage from any source you may use your reaction to tumble for up to half your movement speed in any direction (when you meet a wall you scale it as per unarmoured movement).
On the end of your tumbe you must make a DC 10 Accrobatics save to land safely .
On a failed save you land prone.

Lvl 6. Master of 9 brews

You gain proficiency with the Brewers kit and the Herbalists kit (if you are already proficient you may pick another tool or instrument proficiency).

You may infuse alcoholic drinks with your ki to noursih and heal the body.

You may create up to a third of your monk level rounded down ''Ki infused Alcoholic drinks'' by expending 4 ki over one minute and may only have up to 6 such drinks with you at a time as their effects fade away if you create more.

These drinks heal 1d4+Your monk level+Wis mod hit points.
A person other than you can only drink up to three such drinks per day or must make a Con save against a DC 16 minus your Wis mod each time they drink more than 3.
On a failed save they don't recover any hitpoints and gain a level of exauhstion instead.

LvL 11 Swaying monkey

You can never land/be knocked prone.
When you take the dodge reaction granted by patient defense you may execute one unarmed strike against a target within 5 ft of you.
When you tumble you may spend 1 ki to tumble into a target making an unarmed strike and ending your tumble as well.

LvL 17. Dragon Sages brew

As an action you may consume one ki infused drink and spend 4 ki to unleash a draconic breath attack.

You unleash a fiery breath attack in a 5ft wide and 60 ft long line.
All targets within the affected space must make a Dex saving throw against your Ki save DC or take 5d10+Wis mod fire damage on a failed save or half as much on a succesfull save.
>>
>>50711445
There's a domain of cleric that gets heavy armor. If you wanna do that then get decent STR, like a 13 or 14 WIS, and put whatever you want in CHA. Alternatively you could play a Paladin and just pump STR and CHA and be the ladys holy man with big guns you want and probably have a better rounded character.
>>
>>50711409
>cool
>but the blow dents a joint in your armor, exposing it
>>
>>50711409
>the goblin swings his scimitar at your gut, but you dodge out of the way at the last moment. unfortunately, such a quick movement really tuckered you out, so you take 6 damage from the physical exertion
>uh, i'm wearing fullplate. can i just let him hit me instead
>the scimitar crashes into you. Thanks to your armor you avoid a grievous wound, but you still feel some pain as the armor doesn't stop the entire force of the blow.
Maybe the real problem is your terrible imagination.
>>
>>50711466
Back to that? I already explained.

You die, instantly unless there are special conditions. HP isn't involved as this isn't a matter of staying conscious/continuing to fight/whatever.
>>
>>50711518
this
>>
File: 1468880822726.jpg (710KB, 1110x743px) Image search: [Google]
1468880822726.jpg
710KB, 1110x743px
>>50711458

alright. I guess what was bothering me is the two players I have right now are an Elf who is a warlock whose patron is an ArchFey, so I was trying to come up with a secondary Satyr character, and using the detailed NPC chapter of the DMG to work on him, and then the other character has a contact as a rogue...and the contact got more and more detailed, and now the player used to be involved with this organization that his contact is still a part of, and that's how he gets his leverage for the information...and then I stopped and was like "goddamnit I'm doing it again and writing a fucking novel."
>>
>>50711498

Well, Paladins actually have to be really religious, right? And they're front-liners. This kid isn't either of those.

Thinking of either taking a spear or a quarterstaff as his weapon. He wants as much shit between him and baddies as possible.
>>
>>50711466
Luckily, the hot magma particles around him were merely virtual particles, created due to fluctuations at a quantum level. When he interacts with the particles, they vanish, taking most of their energy with him, and leaving relatively cooler real particles behind.

As luck would have it, more virtual magma particles are created in the lava lake elsewhere, keeping the total number of virtual magma particles the same.

This drains the luck points.
>>
File: Can't Deal with it.gif (2MB, 202x325px) Image search: [Google]
Can't Deal with it.gif
2MB, 202x325px
>>50708574
Mien nigga.
It's been about a year since they brought up the idea.
>>
Thinking on making a Sohei like monk subclass based on Kensai, but better.

So far the idea is changing the 3rd level feature which will be like this.

You gain profiency in Longbow and longsword.
Longbow, Longsword and Spear become kensai weapons.
Longsword becomes monk weapon.
Spear in your hands gains Reach property.

You gain profiency in Light and Medium armor.
Those armors don't incur in penalties for your monk features.
At 11th level you might add half your Wis bonus to your AC when wearing Light or Medium armor.

Why spear gains reach? because I didn't want to give them Glaive which works with GWM, but I wanted them to have Yari and Naginata like weapons which are basically Pikes/Glaives

Yes? no?
>>
File: conanthedefender.png (1MB, 704x1074px) Image search: [Google]
conanthedefender.png
1MB, 704x1074px
>>50711404
You're also vastly underestimating how much gas a liquid can turn into. Go heat a pan up on your stove as high as it'll go, and drop a bead of water. Look how long that thing can skitter around on its own bubble of constantly-generated air, without escaping off to the side. The physics of fire/coalwalking are identical.

The high temperature continues to cause you to sweat, creating an ever-increasing bubble of vapor to protect you. If you stay submerged long enough and were properly hydrated, the bubble will eventually expand to encompass an area large enough to break the surface of the magma again, creating a brief moment where you can leap straight out of the molten rock (aided by the upswelling of hot air) and save yourself. This is Heroic Physics 101, dumbass.
>>
>>50711542
Unless this information is really relevant to the campaign or campaign hook, just ignore it honestly. Just use the generic mook idea I had earlier
>>
File: 1455110534967.jpg (48KB, 536x428px) Image search: [Google]
1455110534967.jpg
48KB, 536x428px
>>50711504
>>50711518
Sooooooooooooo HP are meat points then?
>>
>>50711518
>that
>more imaginative than >>50711409
i think you failed your perception check to notice the joke too
>>
>tfw you overprep and have to fucking tell yourself to "let go" and let the story grow through your players

but muh details...
>>
>>50708141
>goodberry
Goodberry has become like an inside joke for my group after I played a Druid that one time. I'd prescribe them for everything, and snack on them even at full health.

I made his family name Goodwood (for unrelated reasons), and when I offered a goodberry, unfamiliar players thought it was like a quack medicine thing my character had named after himself.
>>
>>50711585

>really relevant to the campaign

and that's what gets me stuck into writing a novel "by accident." I'm going to force myself into constructing encounters now. Thank you.
>>
>>50711559
If you're not on the front line, then STR is mostly useless. If you want to represent your character being slightly stronger than others, just give him athletics as a skill.
>>
>>50707922
>>50707998
>>50707967
Don't forget mixing of Eastern and Western Monastic Tradition, in which studious non magical servants of the faith also study complex martial arts.
>>
>>50707424
>What's the rules misunderstanding people have that frustrates you most?
You know, I actually can't think of one that comes up to my table. I read Crawford's twitter and some of the questions he gets are fucking moronic, so I guess I'm lucky.

I suppose the "critical hit/fail on ability checks" is one. Come on, a rogue with expertise can easily have +12 on a check, so a lot of 1's can very well be successes.
>>
File: Clichea world map.jpg (3MB, 2500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Clichea world map.jpg
3MB, 2500x1500px
>>50709844

I love running survival-esque stuff, but I don't really do rolling on random tables as much as just pre determined DC's based on how I run the weather.

Of course the most important things to measure are food, shelter, and warmth. And generally when there's a ranger in the party, and they're in their favored terrain, they usually get a free pass at all 4, but I still try to make it seem more difficult with higher DC's and unforseen events.

One of my favorite adventures was the PC's were tracking a group of escaped bandits, but had been spotted by a scout, and failed to catch him, and then they knew that they were being hunted by a larger raiding party of bandits. Ran the whole thing based off of realistic travel time and survival checks made by both parties. Very fun, because the PC's now were the hunted and wanted to lure the bandits into a trap.

After a couple days of frantic tracking and hunting, the two parties bumped into each other at a watering hole the next morning due to failed checks, and BOTH were caught off guard. turned out to be a great fight.
>>
Has anyone looked at making a Kensei/Bladesinger? I haven't really thought it through, but it seems like it might be fun if it works.
>>
>You die, instantly unless there are special conditions.
That's not what the rules say.
>>
(((Mike Mearls))) @mikemearls 21 hours ago
I'll give one preview here - I think mystic is going to shift to d6, psychic warrior type moves to fighter. Like/hate? #psionics #wotcstaff

(((Mike Mearls))) @mikemearls 21 hours ago
And by "moves to fighter" becomes an eldritch knight style subclass. #wotcstaff
>>
>>50711642
>can easily have +12 on a check, so a lot of 1's can very well be successes
This kind of thing is why I don't normally play D&D as my main system anymore. So bloaty.

That said, I don't much like the crit fail/success system in the first place.
>>
>>50711674
Ewww. Fuck no.

When are they going to fire this hack?
>>
>>50711628

Oh yeah...good point.

Glad I came here.
>>
>>50711559
>>50711628
If you want to stand back from melees, the domains to for are either Knowledge, Light, or Arcana.
>>
>>50711674
The nofun faggots who took our playtest martial die strike again #retarded
>>
>>50711676
>You are not allowed to specialize in one field to be really good at it when you become interplanar-class adventurers.
You seem like a faggot.
>>
>>50711683
>he hasn't realized that Crawford is the one who makes all the anti-fun rulings and balance decisions, but Mearls gets forced to publicize them because he can actually speak to another human being without vomiting
>>
>>50711702
I always play specialized characters.

But I don't have fun knowing I literally can't fail a roll.
>>
>>50711683
>>50711688
>>50711688
>>50711689
>>50711689
What's wrong with this?
>>
>>50711676
>>can easily have +12 on a check, so a lot of 1's can very well be successes
>This kind of thing is why I don't normally play D&D as my main system anymore. So bloaty.

That really has nothing to do with bloat. I'm guessing you're talking about numbers bloat here? Well, things never get very out of hand in 5e, and we're talking about EXPERTISE here, something you're specially focusing on, and you only get four of those skills/tools. Plus you have to focus on that ability score as well. So you'd have to have charisma at 18 to have, say, a +12 to Persuasion at 9th level (+4 from CHA, +4 proficiency bonus twice)

The highest you can ever get (without magic items) is +16 - meaning you're at max level, have expertise on it, and have also pumped the ability to max.
>>
>>50711729
Go play GURPS then you triple fagget
>>
>>50711518
>the scimitar crashes into you. Thanks to your armor you avoid a grievous wound, but you still feel some pain as the armor doesn't stop the entire force of the blow.
So what you're telling me is that either a mere bruise constitutes a loss of 6 hitpoints or that a piddly little goblin can swing a scimitar hard enough to actually damage your bones and/or internal organs. And of course, you're completely overlooking the fact that would change the damage type.
>>
>>50711729
What the fuck do you want? You are literally ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL PEOPLE IN THE MULTIVERSE. +12 is not something you get at level 5 dude.

Meanwhile, the wizard casts spells that overwrite reality with 0% chance of failure. And it's okay for some reason.
>>
>>50711674
Might make sense, but it's a bad idea, the d8 and no extra attacks made the Immortal rely on psy points which made for cool combos, resource management, etc, if it becomes a fighter subclass is going to get jack shit because fighter already has 4 attacks, d10, action surge and second wind so the stuff the fighter is going to get from mystic is going to be meh stuff that wors once per day

Thanks for ruining good ideas, wotc
>>
>>50707763

Wizards seems to be riding that Forgotten Realm dick and basically pretending the other settings don't exist outside of UA. Ravenloft got a token book, but the AL campaign is still FR, but your characters get to visit Ravenloft.
>>
>>50711764
>+12 is not something you get at level 5 dude.
I mean, a rogue with expertise in a skill and a 20 in the stat can get +11. I'd say that's close enough
>>
>>50711764
>You are literally ONE OF THE MOST POWERFUL PEOPLE IN THE MULTIVERSE
Illustrating why I said I don't play much 5e anymore
>>
>>50711674
>>
>>50711579
LvL 3

Longbow, Shortbow and Lonsword are monk weapons for you and you gain proficiency with them.
You may expend 1 ki when you make an attack with a monk weapon to gain the following advantages:
>Monk weapon gains reach property untill the end of your next turn.
>When you make a ranged attack you add your Wis modifier to both the attack and damage roll.
>think more stuff up i am too lazy to do it for you

LvL 6 When you wear light or medium armor you can still use ki features, martial arts and your extra movement speed is only halved instead of nulled.
You also add half of your proficiency bonus to your AC.

LvL 11

When you roll for initiative and are first in order you can make an attack with advantage against any target within range during that turn.
Any hits are treated as critical hits.
>>
>>50711766
>a fighter subclass is going to get jack shit because fighter already has 4 attacks
The Fighter has two attacks, let's not kid ourselves.

It's gonna be some stupid shit like
>you can pick one psionic discipline now, and another at level 9, and a third at level 17
>you get like one psi point per level, enjoy
>>
>>50711737
See >>50711766
Fighter is already strong, so what you get from mystic is going to be shit for balance purposes.
>>
>>50711811
>also you can't use psionic focuses
>>
>>50711799

You could simply end a campaign before you reach godkin levels, anon. Or your party could stop leveling up, perhaps representing your characters hitting their peaks.
>>
>>50711674
Fuck yes.
I hate psionics with a passion.
Let them do it.
>>
>>50707922
>nega-litch

The fuck is a Nega-Litch?
>>
>>50711729
>But I don't have fun knowing I literally can't fail a roll.
An easy roll of DC 10. Anything else is still chance.

Your DM doesn't tell you the DC before you roll, does she?
>>
>>50711829
>don't allow psionics in your games
>have all the fun you want without intruding on others'
so difficult
>>
File: 64c9b344989617.58244f409bd0d.jpg (2MB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
64c9b344989617.58244f409bd0d.jpg
2MB, 1440x1440px
ALL DESE NUMBERS
ALL DIS CLASS BALANCE
OPTIMIZING
BUILDS

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE ROLEPLAYING?
>>
>>50711795
You're not going to have a maxed stat on level 5.
>>
WHERE THE FUCK ARE MY INCARNUM USERS WOTC??

YOU GAVE ME THIS WONDERFUL SYSTEM, I DIDN'T SOLICIT IT

GIVE ME 5E INCARNUM YOU CUNTS
>>
>>50711838
I didn't cry to remove it.
I said let them butcher it worse than the Wot4E monk.
>>
>>50711811
You know what I mean, fighter's frame is a combat beast and is not allowed to get funny combos and novas like you can get with Paladin or Order of the Immortal V.2

I prefer d8 and 1 attack if that allows me to do what you could do with Immortal V.2, which btw doesnt' deal as much damage as a fighter if you do the math.
>>
>>50711828
I've opted to just play different systems entirely.

My level 2 Barbarian felt overpowered to
>>
>>50711863
>Magic of Incarnum describes Incarnum, which, in its pure form, looks like a "radiant mist, deep blue in color." With the supplemental rules provided within, characters can use incarnum to create Soulmelds using Essentia. The Soulmelds function like magically-sustained items that are applied to different parts of the body, and Essentia is invested into said Soulmelds to make them more effective. In addition to investing Essentia, characters can bind Soulmelds to different Chakras, which further fuses Soulmelds to their corresponding body parts, providing characters with bonus effects.

That sounds like fucking bullcrap.
>>
>>50711805
That sounds like a ranged monk more than anything and sohei weren't ranged beasts.
>>
>>50711831
Sure, but with +12 I only need to roll as high as an 8 for anything.
>>
>>50711674
Psionics have never been more bullshit than other casters, yet they face far more criticism and backlash for their supposed "overpoweredness" than Clerics, Druids, or Wizards. Why is that? It's especially grating because the largest criticism about psionics is uncapped PP expenditure for certain powers with good scaling, which is the easiest thing to resolve in the game.
>>
>>50711886
You...

You know there's DCs higher than 20, right? You know that a 20 after modifiers isn't an auto-success at anything?
>>
>>50711877
It was like a Lego class.

You have 10 chakras. You learn interchangeable Soulmelds that have bonuses if bound to certain chakras. You can then charge them with Essentia (aka mana) to boost the effects.
>>
>>50711877
it's just bullshit, tailorable vermeil taken from Savage Coast / Red Steel
snooze
give me Mystara back, WotC
>>
>>>>50711795
Okay, I'll humor you. A 20th level rogue with a maxed stat will have a +17 to their 4 expertise skills.

The highest DC is 30. That's a 60% chance to fail the roll. Of course your master thief isn't going to knock over a stack of pots and pans when sneaking over a sleeping goblin, but jumping 10 metres high may be complicated.
>>
>>50711899
Thanks for proving the point.

We now need to inflate DC's to account for inflating the player bonuses.

Theres no reason it needs to be this way. Plenty of systems do fine without it
>>
>>50711872
Please tell us what systems you're playing, so I can laugh in your face.
>>
>>50711919
>We now need to inflate DC's to account for inflating the player bonuses.
>inflate
Nigger, it's not being inflated no matter how you look at it. DCs went way higher than 30 in 3.pf, and 30 was established as the highest DC in 5e from day 1.
>>
>>50711857
Ignoring that some groups roll for stats, it's pretty trivial to get up to 19 in a stat by 5th level. That's still a +4, putting the rogue at +10 total

>>50711913
I wasn't saying that's a problem, just point out that getting into that ballpark by 5th level isn't reeeeally that difficult
>>
>>50711892
Casterfaggots and memes to be honest.
Casterfags are ok with casters being Op and don't you dare create a class that can come close or else they'll spout "Op! nerf now!" meme ad nauseam
>>
>>50711662
Sounds pretty cool.

It seems most likely they'd bump into each other at such a place, after all.

>>50711668
Where're the rules for being completely submersed in magma?
>>
>>50711930
You'll laugh no matter what I say because they're not mainstream games. Big nough to have hardcover prints, but not big enough to have generals or FLGS signups.

My current favourite gives you no more than a +4 on average at any time, and that's the high end.

It's deadly and exciting. I need to think about what I'm doing before I do it.

No Classes as you know them, no Skills. No +12's.

But you can't imagine anything other than D&D and it's fucking huge numbers.
>>
>>50711117
>GLD
I thought the point of this list was to show the official options available.
>>
File: damage severity.png (106KB, 398x160px) Image search: [Google]
damage severity.png
106KB, 398x160px
>>50711979
>>50711979
>Where're the rules for being completely submersed in magma?
Like a cork in water, molten rock is more dense than you. You would not sink in magma.
However you would take 24d10 damage. depending on how hot the magma is.
>>
There need to be bounded accuracy tiers and tiers of levels.

Like levels 1 through 10 need to be rebalanced to deal with fairly mundane challenges. Levels 11 through 20 all classes should have some magical elements, and 21 through 30 should be added and deal with high magical themes.

Of course all levels of play would be optional.
>>
>>50712035
I accuse you of being a 4e nigger

Do you deny the charge?
>>
>>50712034
>1d10 is a Setback to a level 1 character
ehehehehehhehehe
>>
File: hegelian bear.jpg (74KB, 653x960px) Image search: [Google]
hegelian bear.jpg
74KB, 653x960px
>CHANNEL DIVINITY: ARCANE ABJURATION
>After you reach 5th level, when a creature fails its saving throw against your Arcane Abjuration feature, the creature is banished for 1 minute (as in the banishment spell, no concentration required) if it isn't on its plane of origin and its challenge rating is at or below a certain threshold, as shown on the Arcane Banishment table.

Okay, let's fucking break this bullshit down. They're banished for 1 minute if they're not on their plane.

Now, the spell Banishment says that if the spell stays up for the full 1 minute (which it WILL 100% of the time with this feature, as you don't require concentration), and the creature isn't from this plane, it DOESN'T RETURN afterwards.

Because Arcane Banishment can't end before the minute is up, and because you can only use it planar foreigners, IT WILL BE PERMANENT EVERY SINGLE TIME.

That's a fact, confirmed by RAW and RAI. Now my question is, WHY THE FLIPPING FUCK DO THEY SAY "BANISHED FOR 1 MINUTE"? WHY DOESN'T THE FEATURE JUST SAY IT PERMANENTLY SENDS THEM TO THEIR OWN PLANE? FFFUUUCK
>>
>>50712065
Maybe if they went with average damage instead.
>>
>>50712057
No, I embrace it.
>>
>>50711979
Page 249 says that being submerged in lava is 18d10 fire damage, and that falling into a fucking fire vortex on the elemental plane of fire is 24d10 fire damage, so it's pretty obvious that the damage for being completely submerged in magma is somewhere in between those 2 values.
>>
>>50711998
Savage Worlds?
>>
>>50711998
It's a FATE hack isn't it?
>>
>>50712079
Because raw and Rai you're wrong.
>>
>>50712034
That table seems to be referring to traps, not events that could completely annihilate you.

For example, jumping into the sun will not do 4d10 damage if you're level 4. You'll just fucking die.

Similarly, an adventurer might be able to float in magma and take maybe that much damage every round or two, but once they fall unconscious or even if they have an effect that heals them for 1 HP every few seconds they'll eventually reach a point where they just die due to the damage to their body, regardless of if they keep getting healed for 1 HP.

If you're completely submerged in magma, that's something that's not just a 'deadly risk'. That's easily just as comparable to several levels of exhaustion (instant death without regards for HP) or power word: kill (instant death even if you're at max HP if your health is 100) or any other mentioned instant kill effect. ... Unless you have fire immunity, some magic effect, etc.
>>
>>50712087
Then by the power vested in me by the 5mind, you are found guilty of enjoying another edition of this game, with a hate crime enhancement due to 4e being especially shit.

You are sentenced to having to masturbate to a picture of Gygax before dawn tomorrow.

So it is written, so shall it be.
>>
>>50712025
Officially endorsed DMsG material
>>
>>50712123
Nope, confirmed it with Crawford
>>
>>50712098
>>50712144
Oh, that's better, actually have a page to refer to.

Well, I can't deny it's given as an example, but really it's an 'up to the DM' thing. If the DM wants to go extra heroic, it's probably fine to say a character won't instantly die if they have enough health. It's fair enough. So they have one or two rounds in which they have to escape the lava.

I'd do it like that too.
But, again, if somebody keeps gaining 1 HP while in the lava, they'd still eventually die even if they should technically not die due to HP loss.
>>
>>50712025
If it was in the old document, it's in the new one. Plus what >>50712154 said.
>>
>>50712104
>>50712120
No and No. It doesn't really matter, I was just illustrating my preference with an example game. It's an opinion.

I played 5e a while, still do sometimes, and it never feels like like combat is scary until the DM whips out the weird stuff.

My original point was that for any game, knowing you can succeed in advance just isn't fun for me.

I'll be around if you want to keep guessing.

Hint: a related image has been posted in this very thread
>>
>>50712173
At this point, that's evidence against your case.
>>
>>50712154
Is there a list of the endorsed stuff anywhere?
>>
File: lava damage.png (239KB, 412x405px) Image search: [Google]
lava damage.png
239KB, 412x405px
>>50712144
>That table seems to be referring to traps, not events that could completely annihilate you.
How about this table from the same page?

>>50712180
>But, again, if somebody keeps gaining 1 HP while in the lava, they'd still eventually die even if they should technically not die due to HP loss.
Nigger what the fuck are you talking about, the chunky salsa rule is supposed to make you its bitch if you're submerged in magma for too long. There is no "even if they should technically not die due to HP loss" about it.
>>
>>50711998
>Big enough to have hardcover prints, but not big enough to have generals or FLGS signups.
>My current favourite gives you no more than a +4 on average at any time,
>and that's the high end.
>It's deadly and exciting. I need to think about what I'm doing before I do it.
>No Classes as you know them,
>no Skills
I would guess GURPS, but that has a pretty regular general thread and an extensive skill system. Can you tell us please? The suspense is killing me
Is is B/X?
>>
>>50712240
Barbarians of Lemuria?
>>
File: 1e4.jpg (81KB, 674x674px) Image search: [Google]
1e4.jpg
81KB, 674x674px
>https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

ded
>>
>>50710144
>>50710153
Strahd had some too
>>
>>50712269
Yes, in the document I posted. >>50711117
>>
>>50712282
That table appears in two different places, and you didn't give the page or text reference.

>chunky salsa
Do you mean the 'if you would end up a theoretical negative HP equal to your max health from an attack' rule? Yes, I know negative damage HP isn't a thing, but something like that.

It's completely possible a character could not be 'chunky salsa'd' by that rule.
>they reach 0 HP
>they go unconscious
>they're healed to 1
>they're conscious
>they take damage, that's not equal to their max HP+1
>they go unconscious, not even a single failed death save
>they get healed for 1
>they're conscious
Repeat for as long as you have heals, which could be forever if you have enough healers.

I'm not sure what other rule you're referring to that prevents that from happening.
>>
>>50712340
>they take damage, that's not equal to their max HP+1
>when damage is 18 to 24 d10s
>>
>>50712290
Wrong, never played GURPS

>>50712296
You got it! Was it cause of the hint? My other favourite right now is Stars Without Number, when we can play it.
>>
>>50712380
Yes, the hint helped! I've never played BoL or even read the rules, though. Can you elaborate a bit on its features?
>>
>>50712340
>Do you mean the 'if you would end up a theoretical negative HP equal to your max health from an attack' rule?
Jesus Christ, no.
The chunky salsa rule is that anything that would reasonably reduce a 300 lb slab of meat into chunks of salsa irl probably deals enough damage to kill your character outright.
It's a rule of thumb for GMs.
If for instance, you fell into the jaws of a globe eating giant, then you die. No dice needed, you don't need to roll a saving throw, you're just dead.
It was originally for Shadowrun, but it can be applied in D&D
>>
>>50712282
Now how about if someone just died while "wading through a lava stream"?

Why would your character ever do that?

A Human Thief from bumfuck.

And don' talk about magic armor, this table isn't specifying that.
>>
>>50712417
>Why would your character ever do that?
They wouldn't unless they were pushed in, what point are you trying to make?
>>
>>50712340
>entire scenario falls apart if fire damage is applied before healing is
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>50712340
>chunky salsa
Educate yoself
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChunkySalsaRule
>>
>>50712363
If it's 'submerged in lava' (Which isn't submerged in magma), it's apparently 18d10.

Fire resistance is pretty easy to come by.
If they have fire resistance, the MOST damage they can take is 90 from that. They only need 90 max health, which is incredibly easy at level 20. Not to mention, the chances of rolling 90 on 18d10 halved is (0.1)^18 out of 1.

If it deals above average damage (Because sooner or later it will deal above average damage, we can't assume average damage here) then we could say 18d10 will roll up about 120 damage.

120 damage requires 122 health.

A barbarian with a +4 con mod taking average HP each time will get 126 HP by level 11.
A barbarian that has a ring of fire resistance or some other magical bullshit to gain themself fire resistance (Tiefling, fire dragonborn) through unconsciousness will reach the 61 HP required by level 6.

Of course, you can say 'no, they won't ever have fire resistance' or 'no, he has a +2 con modifier' or 'no, he's not a barbarian' but the level of HP you have to get is definitely achievable.

>>50712395
So it's not in the rulebook?
That's probably what I'm saying, though. If something would kill someone outright, it kills them outright (Though I'd probably give one or two rounds where they're still salvagable), we don't care about HP in that case and whether or not you have a paladin healing you 1 HP each round is irrelevant.
>>
>>50712395
...sssooooo it's not a rule, it's your "No Fun Allowed" personal guideline.
>>
>>50712394
The main thing that drew me to the game was this:

In chargen, you choose 4 Careers, representing past or current jobs your haracter has. You spend 4 points between them all, no single Career being higher than 3. A 0 means you don't take a penalty.

Your "Skills" are whatever your character might be good at based on his Careers.

So if your guy has a 3 in Sailor, you get a 3 to rolls involving rope, star navigating, drinking, or whatever you can justify.

Your 4 Combat stats and 4 Character Attributes are decided the exact same way.

Task Rolls are 3d6, usually to beat 9.

There, you've learned the system. Obviously there's more to it with Weapons and Armor. There's a whole new way of doing magic (think of whatever effect you want, decide what tier it is and therefore what the costs are), but that's essentially it.
>>
>>50712456
Why would the fire damage apply before the healing is? You can apply healing whenever you like if you have a friend, even on the character's turn (if they get a 20 on their death save or have some other ability, or someone stores a reaction). They only take fire damage on their turn, for example, and it can't be the unconscious person healing.
And if the fire damage does apply before the healing is, they only gain a failed death save.

Your post doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>50712079
>>After you reach 5th level, when a creature fails its saving throw against your Arcane Abjuration feature, the creature is banished for 1 minute (as in the banishment spell, no concentration required) if it isn't on its plane of origin and its challenge rating is at or below a certain threshold, as shown on the Arcane Banishment table.

I'll second anon who says you're wrong RAW and raise you this: if it was meant to be a permanent 'fuck you, no second chance', it WOULD be instant. It's a one minute spell. If you get hit by counterspell or antimagic or you get dicked by the demon's friends, Mr. Bumbo the demon is back.
>>
>>50712482
Explain how it means No Fun Allowed? I thought people were allowed to have fun in whatever way they prefer?

If playing a juggling game with all these rules and abilities and literally dozens of die rolls and huge HP and damage pools is fun for you, then fine.

But if "You canonballed right into fucking lava, you're dead" is fun for me, then who are you to judge?

The fun is in trying to avoid that fall in the first place, not brushing off death as superficial dirt on my nose after the fact with enough healing liquids.
>>
>>50712475
The scenario is still entirely dependent on the healing being applied before the fire damage does.

>>50712494
>Why would the fire damage apply before the healing is?
Because you're submerged in magma. Your friends don't have line of sight to you, so you can't benefit from ranged healing spells, and good luck getting any touch healing spells. Your only real option is a ring of regeneration, and then you're entirely at the mercy of your DM's whims. If he decides the damage applies before the regeneration does, then there's nothing you can do but write up a new character.
>>
>>50712440
this was meant for you too
>>50712548
>>
>>50712475
Just did the calculation. The probability of getting 120 or more on a 18d10 is about 4.63%. Once you reach 146 or more, the probability is below 0.005 and at that point you could safely expect to not really roll that in a long time.

>>50712557
You're assuming you take damage twice in a row, then.
Because the character will NOT die from the first instance of damage. They are first reduced from some level of HP to 0.
From that point, it's only natural the healing will occur before the next instance of damage because the first instance of damage has just occured.

And, again, even if that DOES happen, the damage will only cause a death saving throw as per RAW.
>>
>>50707751
Yours sounds like just a more specific race-as-culture, almost race-as-character. I prefer to have races be distinguished from their origins (being made by dragons to be slaves has significant differences from evolving naturally), genetics (most notably physical differences but culture and personality are informed by genetics as well), and history (basically the culture of the entire race, if they have some unifying cultural traits not based on genetics, like being blessed by some god etc.). For player character races, I have a section stolen form 4e, "Play this if you want...", which forces me to think about what the race brings to the table that is unique, interesting, and may want players to play it.
>>
>>50712600
>>50712557
Oh, and there are things such as healing auras if I remember right, or other effects that should be able to work despite line of sight. Heck, they could even be only almost entirely submerged with their head sticking out or hand sticking out. They'd need some way to breathe, after all.
>>
>>50712600
>From that point, it's only natural the healing will occur before the next instance of damage because the first instance of damage has just occurred.
Only if that's what your GM thinks. If he doesn't think that, it's time to make a new character because at best you're dead in 3 turns.
>>
>>50712643
>Oh, and there are things such as healing auras if I remember right
Oh, so the cleric is in the magma with you too? Sounds like a TPK to me.
>>
>>50712557
>you're submerged in magma

Fucking -how-. Magma is way too dense for this to happen unless you teleported into it too deep to be shunted out.
>>
>>50712738
Don't ask me how it happened, we're just talking damage values.
>>
>>50711334
Do people still think that a human falling into lava would submerge in it rather than remaining on top of it? Lava is still as dense as rock. You'd still take damage from the intense heat and probably toxic fumes, but you wouldn't sink into it. You might even survive a run across it.
>>
>>50712668
I seriously don't get what you're saying.

Why would it deal damage twice in a row?

Let's say the lava deals damage at the start of every turn.
Let's say the healing is somewhere between the player's turns, say by a teammate.

They take lava damage at the start of their turn.
They are reduced to 0. Even if they're made to make a death save now, the worst that could happen is they roll a 1 on it and fail two death saves of three.
Their turn ends.
Somebody heals them, (or, a regeneration effect at the end of their turn functions).
Their turn comes around again.
They take damage. They're now down to 0 again. Nothing else happens, because they were not at 0 and the damage wasn't enough for instant death.
However, this turn the healer doesn't heal because he's doing his taxes or something. Oh no.
The guy's turn comes around again. He takes damage. It's not enough to instantly kill him, so he takes a death save. As long as he doesn't roll a 1 on his death saving throw, he'll survive.

What you're saying is:
>you take damage at the start of your turn, you are reduced to 0
>you are healed for one
>you immediately take damage for being healed by 1 even though it's not the start of your turn
And even that would reset the death save counter, preventing them from dying.

>>50712702
The cleric can heal at range, you know?
If your DM hasn't invokved the chunka salsa rule, they won't invoke 'the cleric 120ft in the air is taking heat damage' either.
>>
Is there a maximum falling damage?
>>
>>50712776
>>50712668
Sorry, meant 'so he auto-fails a death save and then makes the start-of-his-turn death save' not 'he takes a death save'

Also, the only way I can see double damage happening is
>it's the start of your turn
>you submerge yourself in magma, taking damage
>it's the end of your turn, taking damage
Which is still oddly inconsistent.
And even if that DID happen, if you had enough HP you wouldn't go down to 0 from the first damage, and you'd be at 0 after the second one, and since you're not re-entering you only take it once every turn from then on.

>>50712738
You can get very watery, muddy magmas/lavas.
But then again, a human's density is quite close to water, so even that probably won't work.
>>
>>50712776
Okay, you win, because being emerged in magma doesn't kill you instantly, a character with a regeneration ring can burn in unspeakable agony until he starves to death. Is that what you wanted me to admit, you nigger loving faggot?
>>
>>50712815
Max falling damage is 20d6, meant to represent terminal velocity.
>>
File: 8i7YJes1r539hzo1_1280.png (372KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
8i7YJes1r539hzo1_1280.png
372KB, 620x349px
>>50712868
Yes. I can finally rest in peace, now.
>>
What would be a good height to fly with an airship above the ground to avoid the dangers on the ground, which of course includes not being easily spotted by creatures on the ground?
>>
>>50712947
As high as possible.

Is the planet akin to earth?

What sort of technology is being used to keep it afloat?

Do the people on board need to breathe?
>>
>>50713091
>>50712947
Oh, also, how fast does it move and how large is it?
>>
>>50713091
It's the airship from SKT, so forgotten realms- All creatures need to breath of course
>>
New thread, gentlemen.

>>50713149
>>50713149
>>50713149
>>
>>50710912
there's no coupe de grace rules in the book either
>>
>>50712470
>5th Edition's Dungeon Master's Guide has an optional "System Shock" rule, stating that if a creature takes at least as much damage as half their hit point total, it must make a Constitution save, and if it fails, a roll on a table gives an additional effect. 10% of the time, that roll will simply reduce its hit points to 0.

Anyone who argues this actually improves the game? I mean it's still based on HP calculations, not narrative salsification.
>>
>>50712525
>counterspell
Can't counterspell what is a class feature and not a spell
>antimagic
You're not concentrating on it, so the effect continues independent of you even if you fall unconscious (or die). The target creature is on another plane of existence.
>>
>>50712079
>banished for 1 minute (as in the banishment spell
While I'd say it's probably just there to specify what "banished" means, the "no concentration required" does make it seem like that's the exception and it works like the spell otherwise. Woud need an official ruling to be sure but otherwise it's up to the GM.
>>
>>50713688
Yes, but if it works like the spell yet can't be interrupted, then it lasts the entire duration every time. Meaning the banishment is always permanent.
>>
>>50713852
Read it again, I'm saying "while X is the likely intended meaning because of A, B makes it seem like Y is the intended meaning instead."
>>
>>50713965
Yeah, but the way the spell works is, if it has been up for a minute, it becomes permanent.
>>
File: witchdoctor sheet.jpg (238KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
witchdoctor sheet.jpg
238KB, 850x1100px
Used the wrong thread again.

Pirate oneshot, simplified for new players, witchdoctor.

Notes anyone?
>>
>>50714266
- use a form-fillable PDF or something
- what's PTO
- when does envenom deal damage
- what's the cast time on putrify
>>
>>50714411
- Fair enough
- Please Turn Over, my players would know
- Very good point
- I'd call all black magics take an action, might mention it on sheet

Thanks!
>>
Is there anything RAW about counterspelling a subtle casted spell? My friend and I agreed that the RAI is probably that you can't counterspell it, but he also says that you don't need verbal or somatic components to see someone casting a spell
Thread posts: 440
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.