[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 281
Thread images: 39

File: mcvey nikitta_grade_2.jpg (186KB, 1000x870px) Image search: [Google]
mcvey nikitta_grade_2.jpg
186KB, 1000x870px
Stylish Jetbikes edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

last thread
>>50610881

Last thread ended shortly after another Anon asked for Tomorrow's
Wars supplement By Dagger or Talon.
Started reading TW, rulebook says it's bases on Ambush Alley and Force on Force's rules.
Anybody have experience playing it? What scale did you play in?
>>
File: mcvey seditionbfa_game_store.jpg (170KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
mcvey seditionbfa_game_store.jpg
170KB, 700x483px
Any of you guys played Sedition Wars?
From what I heard the rules were poorly received, but I'm kinda sad the miniatures disappeared.
>>
File: greatgrey2.jpg (127KB, 600x387px) Image search: [Google]
greatgrey2.jpg
127KB, 600x387px
>>50641442
>cool jetbike
>shitty pistol
wtf mang
>>
Any game set on the wild west/weird west (preference on the latter)?

Also what do you thinkb is the walking dead all out war?
>>
>>50642759
Wild West Exodus is a thing.
>>
>>50642812
What can you tell me about wild west Exodus? Also
>They have a literal alien faction
That was unexpected
>>
>>50641553
Bought two for the minis, apparently the rest of the components would have made postage too much from the UK to the mainland I said I don't need them.

50GBP+postage for 100 minis and scenic bases. Wasn't a bad deal at all.

>>50642759
As >>50642812 Wild West Exodus, but Malifaux as well to a certain degree.
>>
>>50642913
Sadly no, literally all I know about it is that it exists.
>>
How if the quality of the guild ball the kick off miniatures.
Also why is steamforged changing the metal miniatures for plastic ones?
>>
>>50643743
>Also why is steamforged changing the metal miniatures for plastic ones?
Because plastic>metal
>>
>>50643767
Explain further
Also Do you think they might re release season 1 and 2 minis in plastic?
>>
>>50643788
Plastic is cheaper to produce tons of monopose minis over long periods of time. You have the upfront costs of the molds but they last for a decade, and plastic is cheap. Metal molds have lower cost, but must be retooled often for high volume production. And metal is very expensive.
>>
>>50643788
> lighter
> easier to cut
> easier to remove mouldlines etc
> cheaper to produce in bulk
> easier to convert
> less likely to require pinning
> more resistant to paint chipping

And probably some other stuff too.
>>
>>50642913
it has free rules so you better check it out for yourself. Its rules are pretty simple and standard, the only big shifts from the standard skirmish rules are that you also get teams together with your soldiers, these teams can (and often should) act together like a Warhammer unit shall we say; the other big change is that depending on your army composition you get an amount of rerolls per turn.The game seems fun, but armies are rather undevelopped with only like 15 options to them since they chose to add more and more factions(fucking aliens) instead of expanding existing factions.
>>
>>50643877
>>50643853
i am very ignorant on the matter,but doesn't plastic allow for more details to be casted on the miniature?
>>
>>50645014
You can get finer details, yes. But the real factor there comes down to the skill of the sculptors moreso than the medium.

For example compare the detail of Infinity's metals with Reaper's plastics. Not meaning to disparage Reaper at all but there are clear differences.
>>
>>50645072
thank you
>>
>>50645014
Metal allows for more details and, more imporantly, better poses. The details thing has become less of an issue in recent years, at least if you go with cutting edge technology, but it's very hard to do good and dynamic poses in plastic. The reason is the mold material. Metal uses vulcanized rubber, which means that the miniature can have undercuts and cavities, since you can just pull the rubber from the miniature. Plastic uses metal injection molds, so everything has to be on a flat plane. That's why GW's one piece characters are completely twodimensional, or Wyrd's plastics are a multipart chaos.
>>
hi guys, i am looking for goosd fantasy skirmish or slightly bigger games(possibly not campaign based),anny suggestion?Also why is it that all skirmish games are sci fi?
>>
>>50645222
How many guys per side? 5 to 10 or bigger than that? Skirmish games usually focus on five to ten guys. Any special kind of Fantasy or anything goes?
>>
So let me get this rigth. in the whole wide market there's no a skirmish game based on SWAT operatives (and other law enforcers) V mooks and delinquents in general?
>>
File: Shadowrunner handsignals.png (2MB, 1260x1936px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrunner handsignals.png
2MB, 1260x1936px
>>50645576
I'm currently working on one, so don't remind anyone to work on one until I'm done.
>>
>>50645602
>implying
ok now i lost it.

also
>I'm currently working on one, so don't remind anyone to work on one until I'm done.
like for real?
>>
>>50645576
Spectre, Osprey's Black Ops, maybe Force on Force and Skirmsih Sangin.
>>
>>50645257
from 5 10 of a normal skirmish, to slightly bigger, up to "platoon level". I guess almost anything goes, i would prefer normal tolkien fantasy.
>>
>>50645640
Yeah, I was inspired after I got into SWAT 4 with my m8s.

I wanted to create a game that was highly lethal and based on clearing buildings room by room.

I'm also tempted to add features from siege like destructible terrain and rappelling.
>>
>>50646093
Absolutely add at least rappelling. Needn't be mechanically complicated at all.
Destructible terrain is maybe more so (especially tracking it), but probably not too hard.

SWAT 5 when
>>
>>50646167
>Needn't be mechanically complicated at all.

Thats really my goal, I want to make a game thats simple to play but contains plenty of depth and optional rules.

I'd say my biggest inspiration is Fistful of Tows

>That spoiler

Never anon, it hurts but never
>>
>>50645731
>spectre
it's normal for them models to have monkey faces?
>>
>Find out about warzone resurrection
>Imperial minis are fucking cool
>Get a goddamn mech with a pillbox on it's back if you want

Too bad everyone says it's a dead game...
>>
>>50646564
No it's fucking not. Stop asking 40kids if they want to try something new.
>>
>>50646665
Not that guy, but literally everyone I know that the was head over heels about it, including a dude that has a character named after him, is done with wzr.
>>
>>50645576
Five Core has a gangs supplement. That should work for that.
And I'd be surprised if Osprey didn't have a game for that.
>>
>>50646729
y tho
I've played a few games of 2.0 and it seemed fine and cool enough.
Are they mad about a bunch of changes and rules rewrite in like 1.5 -> 2.0 or what?
I think all happened recently.
>>
>>50646753
See >>50645731
>>
>>50646790
It's like the more you play it, the more the flaws stand out. I'm sure it's gotten better (I personally bailed early afternoon the remodel of the brotherhood stuff), but it just doesn't seem to hold water.
>>
Any game that uses other form of resolving damage? I mean I have nothing against dice but sure is an annoying thing to fail a shoot/hit/blow just because the dies says so.

kinda unrelated but something I liked of Doomtown was that for resolve battles you draw from the deck who also works as a french playing deck. the one who makes the best poker hand wins the duel and the other one has to suffer casualties by the difference of ranks between the two hands.
>>
>>50647410
Using dice or cards is both pure chance. I don't see how one is better than the other if you dislike the element of chance on principle.
So I don't really know what you are asking for here.
Chess is good, I guess.
>>
>>50647501
well I didn't think that was necesary but in doomtown you were able to build a deck to improve your chances to get X poker hand by filling the deck with values of your choice.
in a 52 cards deck. around ~32 cards are values of your liking and ~20 are made up any other value. other concepts involve thining the deck by removing the unwanted cards but that's too much information.

the point on all this is maybe have an alternative to deduce damage or at least improve the chances of succeeding by playing with the "meta". in Guild ball I read that if you have units surrounding an enemy you gain 1 more die per friendly unit to the pool increasing the likelyness to score more hits.
>>
>>50647829
Sorry if I'm coming off as contrarian here, that's not my intention, but by that logic your choices during army composition should count in that regard too. You know beforehand which units have which stats, so you kind of know how the probabilities of succeeding with any given unit in any given situation are. That literally is the meta of the game.

And a rule like you mentioned for being surrounded is also not too uncommon, although it depends on what the game was designed for. Frostgrave for example does the exact same thing.
But then again it's the same thing as using any other rule of the rule set to your advantage, so I'm still not sure I understand what you are talking about.

Anyway, maybe somebody else has some insights to share though.
>>
>>50645758
Well, the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battles game is the best game GW has done in years. The books and minis usually go for dirt cheap on ebay and there are lots of third parties that produce fitting models. Since it's also more in line with realistic scale, you can also get fitting historicals to pad it out.
Get the actual LotR game though, The Hobbit iteration wasn't good.

Other than that
>Malifaux: Weird Steampunk Horror game for about 10 miniatures per side
>Freebooter's Fate: Pirate Skirmishing for 5 to 10
>Song of Blades and Heroes: DIY Fantasy, play literally anything you want, for about 10
>Mordheim: WHFB skirmishing

Alkemy is also not bad, but kinda dead. Nice minis though.

Apart from Confrontation (dead as a doorknob) and Warmachine/Hordes, there's not really anything in the 15 to 30 miniatures bracket, though.
>>
10mm anon here

I don't want to start shit, so can anyone give me the basics of Hordes of the Things and Dragon Rampant, so I can compare them with Kings of War for multibase fantasy games.

My army basing comprises 5 "large" infantry per 40x20 stand or 3 large cavalry, which seems 10mm too small for HotT if you're absolutely strict.
>>
>>50649464
I didn't think Dragon Rampant *was* multi-base, I was under the impression that it was large-skirmish.
>>
>>50647410
Malifaux uses a deck of cards instead of dice
>>
>>50643743
The metal and resin ones are definitely better as far as detail goes. They aren't using hard plastic, and are opting for made in China pre-assembled board game plastic instead. Steamforged is switching largely to cut costs.
>>
>>50649554
oh really? how so?
>>
>>50649559
>and are opting for made in China pre-assembled board game plastic instead.
is this a good or a bad thing? I can't help feel a bit uneasy when I see the word China and GB in the same sentence (implicit)
>>
>>50647410
>>50649554
freebooters fate uses cards as well
>>
>>50649568
Every attack had a damage spread for mild, moderate, and severe damage. For example a model could have a sword that does 2/3/5 damage. When it flips a card that has a value of 1 to 5, it does weak damage (2 in this case). When it flips a face card, it does severe damage (5). If it flips a red joker, then it does mild+severe, or 7 damage.
>>
>>50649568
Flipped card value + relevant attack stat vs opponents' flipped card value + relevant defense stat to determine whether or not an attack hits, and how accurately.

You have a hand of cards that you can 'cheat' in over the top of a flipped card, and there are lots of ways to allow you to flip multiple cards and pick the best, or prevent your opponent from 'cheating' in a card.

damage is determined by card value and a gradient of damage: Ace-6 is 'Weak Damage', 7-10 is 'Moderate Damage', face cards are 'Severe Damage'

Jokers add additional effects too.
>>
>>50649600
Largely bad, the detail just isn't as crisp. That said the models will likely cost much less, so I will be fine with it personally. You get what you pay for.
>>
>>50649607
>Freebooter's fate
>it's a fantasy pirates game
now that's not something you see everyday.
>>
>>50649669
personally i'm not a big fan of the setting, but it has some really nice minis and from what i heard the game itself is pretty good. I'm not sure if there are players for it outside of germany though.
>>
>>50649621
>>50649629
Oh I see. personally I havent considered Malifaux because of reasons but this sure piqued my interest. I'll give it a look again some later.

>>50649652
>Largely bad, the detail just isn't as crisp.
Awww. I don't like any of this...
>>
>>50649684
>I'm not sure if there are players for it outside of germany though.
just fantastic. well it doesn't matter since no one here plays anything apart of Warhammer AoS and 40k so anything that I might bring will make little to no noise in comparison.
>>
>>50648907
thank you very much for the suggestions helpful anon
>>
does any one know if the guild ball kick off 2 player box was a limited run offer or will it be the new standard start box for the game?
>>
Wasn't there some sci-fi warband skirmish game releasing around this time?
I can't remember the name now.
>>
>>50650940
New standard.
>>
>>50652545
Rogue Galaxy or whatever Osprey's was called?
>>
>>50645157
>but it's very hard to do good and dynamic poses in plastic
Malifaux would like a word
>>
>>50653367
He mentioned Malifaux and their sprue tooling nightmare, but that's partial a different reason, not the fact its plastic.
>>
>>50653367
That was an example. Malifaux does high fidelity dynamic stuff, but as a trade off there are lots of pieces compared to the more static GW figures.
>>
anyone else playing halo: ground command?
>>
File: rogue stars cover.jpg (167KB, 752x1013px) Image search: [Google]
rogue stars cover.jpg
167KB, 752x1013px
>>50652545
>>50653328
The gist of the game seems to be:
Assemble a crew of 3 to 5 dudes. Choose whichever minis you like. Pick traits to represent the miniature.
Play whatever the missions are.
>>
bümp
>>
File: 1424207304621.jpg (14KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1424207304621.jpg
14KB, 500x375px
Anyone has a book about how to place stage props on the table to make a fun and balanced game?
>>
>>50649464
40mm frontage is the small standard for WRG games, you're set there for HotT/DBx. 20mm is infantry depth, 30mm for other stuff but depth is not *too* important. Figure count and depth are traditionally used to differentiate types but that's most useful in DBx - with fantasy stuff, it's a lot easier to tell the difference between blades and warband and whatever, and as long as you can tell different types of unit apart (or don't have One Of Everything as an army list goal) you'll be fine. Armies are about 12 bases, six of which are cheaper, more generic units because you can only spend half your 24 points on expensive stuff.

Dragon Rampant's skirmish-based in 6 or 12 figure units, but you can use fewer figures and give them hit points instead. You explicitly can have one hero or troll figure be a whole unit. Generally 6-figure units are the more elite ones. Each unit has to maintain 3" separation from each other unit except when they charge in to melee - partly a gameplay thing, partly a zone of control deal, I think it works fine and looks nice on the table myself, others disagree and some houserule it out. You could go army-style and have each "figure" be a base with multiple infantry on and just keep them together, tighter for some units and more dispersed for warband types.
>>
>>50656507
>20mm is infantry depth
sorry - that's heavy infantry depth, specifically.

http://www.fanaticus.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=10774 was a proposed basing chart for DBA 3 a few years back, I forget what they went with, you'd have to download it for that. It should give you a basic idea. But really, it's consistent frontage that you care about.
>>
>>50656526
Actually, my mistake - some infantry (the heavier sort) is officially 15mm, but pretty much everyone says fuck that, hence the change to 15-20mm.
>>
>>50656507
>You could go army-style and have each "figure" be a base with multiple infantry on and just keep them together, tighter for some units and more dispersed for warband types.
Demonworld used hex bases, but did something like this.
>>
>>50656423
Don't think you'll be able to find an entire book devoted to setting up a gaming table.

What specifically is balanced and fun really depends on the game you are playing.
Setting up scenery for a game without ranged combat is gonna look pretty different than one that does it mainly.
Or maybe you are playing a mission that already tells you how to set it up anyway.

So what are you playing?
>>
>>50656526
Jesus christ, that's some dry grog stuff.

I am going to say fuck it, make sure all my armies are properly based on 40x20 and 40x40 for monsters, and just play. Orcs versus Landsknecht-style humans with plate armoured knights, like the old Empire. Keep it simple and sell non-wargamers on it as "it's like an RTS".
>>
What happened to Confrontation?
>>
>>50657709
Iunno, but sold now by Cadwallon.
>>
>>50657709
rackham made a shortlived attempt at selling pre-painted before the entire company went belly up.
You can still buy some of the orignal mold in an onlineshop in france.
A handful of minis are being sold in resin by a company called legacy miniatures on CMON. These are the legal successors.
Cadwallon as a pretty complete selection of metal models, which i'm pretty sure they are producing themselves. The casts are good, if not flawless though. They also expand on their selection from time to time. They miss a few basic minis like the morbid puppets though.
They also expand the range with original sculpts.
>>
File: drakerys Ashral_Induna.jpg (131KB, 800x559px) Image search: [Google]
drakerys Ashral_Induna.jpg
131KB, 800x559px
>>50657762
oh, yeah and I'm not sure how reliable this information is, but drakerys might be the 'spiritual' successor as it seems to be by some of the same people.
Haven't investigated that, just something I heard said, so don't know if it's actually true.

Looks pretty similar to Confrontation in terms of style though.
>>
>>50645576
>>50645602
Ospreys Black Ops is in this op or the /hwg/ one. It's a really good versatile game worth checking out. It's kind of like 40k 4th(?) ed killteam, but not necessaryly asymetrical.
Also two hour wargames 5150 cyberpunk stuff could be used. It can also be played solo.
>>
So Achtung Chtulhu became a skirmish wargame, built on Spartan's Dystopian Legions.

Not sure how I feel.
>>
>>50658425
As long as Spartan isn't actually managing the game, it'll be fine.
>>
>>50658481
It's made by Modiphius, who'll also manage Siege of the Citadel (no connection to Prodos, thank god), so it could be fine.
>>
>>50656423
This might help
>>
>>50656704
That is something I didn't tought much about, I imagined a good book will cover all I need to know
Soon I'll play warmachine with a friend so I better ask on their thread

>>50659646
That's very good thanks,
My only concern is if it fits on the scale I'm using
>>
>>50660448
>My only concern is if it fits on the scale I'm using

If it doesn't you should be able to just play around with distance measurements a bit and make it work.
>>
>>50657818
there are bunch of games from exrackham guys (wrath of kings is another)
>>
>>50660448
>Soon I'll play warmachine with a friend
2d terrain it is, then.
>>
>>50660460
This was definitely from the game mechanics guy. Drakerys has a lot of of the same stuff that appeared in AT-43 and the last edition of Confrontation (universal roll chart, resource pools for the heroes, etc.). The English and French rulebooks are up on their website.
>>
>>50661813
Drakerys has some fucking awesome looking minis. I don't really care for their rules, but will pick some minis up for shits and giggles.
>>
>>50653724

Muh sci-fi dudes
>Sfiligoi

Great, yet another SoBH hack. Pass.
>>
>>50664117
Pretty much how I feel.
>>
>>50657709
Very dead. Blame Paulo Parente. Cadwallon sells most of the line now, with some new and very nice looking figures that they release occasionally. Wrath of Kings is more or less the spiritual successor, but the style isn't quite as good IMO.
>>
>>50664117
>Sfiligoi
>Great, yet another SoBH hack. Pass.
>>50664154
>Pretty much how I feel.

Please elaborate.
I never played song of blades.
>>
>>50665513
So, the game tried to simplify everything down to needing only 2 stats. To make up for it, there's dozens of special rules, some of which aren't sitiational enough ti justify the use of a special rule. Like, you could've included a movement stat and cut out a few special rules. It just results in a more complicated mess.
>>
File: bob ross good times.jpg (97KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
bob ross good times.jpg
97KB, 500x666px
>>50665584
Sounds bad. Still curious about Rogue Stars though.

Maybe he did it different in this game.

Anyway I think this is probably the greatest strength and weakness of Osprey's approach to publishing games.
There's no QA or consistency, at the same time it means a lot of different games that come with an affordable pricetag.

Dunno how to feel about Rogue Stars now though. Guess I'll wait a little and see what others have to say before ordering the book.
>>
Rogue Stars is apparently a d20 system and uses TNs and has some other shit

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=531b33308f5ac364eff6caca47307945&topic=84272.msg1036460#msg1036460
>>
>>50666352
Skipping ahead, 3x3 board is apparently standard and people are talking about it already having a fair amount of errata (Thanks, Osprey.) and a shitton of modifiers (28?).
>>
>>50645602
Working on one as well. Are you doing freeform movement or grid based?
>>
>>50667803
I'm currently experimenting with both right now.

I think I'm going to be going for grid/hex based movement from what I've seen. It just feels simpler to model building interiors, cover and the space occupied by models on a grid based system.
>>
>>50668215
I'm working on a square grid right now, simply for the ease of npc movement when it comes to civilians and such. I'm aiming more for a bit of an expanded payday 2 tabletop simulator, where the police dont arrive right away and you have a "heat" attached to your crew that affects what shows up.
>>
>>50653724
Anyone got a pdf of this to share?
>>
File: Hamster greed.gif (2MB, 298x161px) Image search: [Google]
Hamster greed.gif
2MB, 298x161px
>>50653724
>>50668719
Seconded

I hate ordering stuff in december, the packages always end up 'lost'
>>
File: SWAT.jpg (77KB, 480x351px) Image search: [Google]
SWAT.jpg
77KB, 480x351px
>>50668345
Oh interesting, you're coming at it from the other angle?

I'm aiming to have both sides to be playable, but with a single player mode where you play exclusively as law enforcement.
>>
>>50666060
>Maybe he did it different in this game.
I'm sure I heard Rogue Stars wasn't a sobah variant? He has done other games - Battlesworn is rad.
>>
>>50670336
Ugh, this happened to me with some ebay stuff. Fortunately I can see the tracking number: the courier (Hermes) picked it up and immediately "lost" it, and the seller's sent out another package by different means and is just going to yell at them until they get it back. Unfortunately, I had ordered before the true christmas postage nightmare kicked in... and now it looks like I'm getting stuff late.

eh well, it's for me.
>>
>>50673366
I ordered some stuff from hasslefree during their Halloween sale before it ended on the 8th of November, I got an email on the 28th saying it's been shipped, now we're in the middle of December, I have the feeling I'll get it during January if at all.

I just wanted to make my Lady Death conversion for warzone.
>>
>>50668719
It'll probably be a bit. I didn't even realize people had it yet, since the osprey page lists the publication date as Dec 15.
>>
>>50675846
Pre-orders shipped earlier.
>>
>>50671294
Will the rule book come with a tape with the song "Bad Boys" recorded on it?
>>
>>50641442
Dark Osprey link is down

Does anyone have Laserblast, Starport Scum or any other games of that kind/name?
>>
That new thing from the Malifaux guys has a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7LnVQzyBmM&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>50680737
The Kickstarter launches tomorrow.
>>
>>50680737
>That scene render
Oh fuck, if they sell terrain then I will really need to buy into it for Malifaux and general wargame purposes. Also I am glad to see that they are sticking to the "Flavor" that each suite of cards has as well. While like most Kickstarter games I doubt that it will get big, the cultists for instance can probably be used in 40K at least.
>>
>>50680966
I'll check it out, probably put in like $1 to get the updates and make up my mind later whether to back properly.

>>50680989
Won't the models be too big for 40k?
>>
>>50680999
Some guys, sure. For mutants and monsters there really shouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>50680999
I'll probably do the same. I like what I've seen so far, but I still want to see printed models and more rules before I throw my hat in.
>>
>>50681026
That's more or less my feelings, 3D renders are nice and all but they only go so far.
>>
>>50681026
Wyrd is notorious with their insistence on blind purchases. They do show some off at conventions and such, but the packaging doesn't have anything beyond renders (Mostly accurate) and illustrations.
>>
>>50681060
Wyrd's pretty good at delivering what the renders show, I just want to see what to expect when they say the models are going to be pre-assembled and PVC plastic.
>>
With a week to go, Spartan has finally revealed a good looking model.
>>
>>50680989
>Oh fuck, if they sell terrain
4Grounds sells scenery aimed at the batman game. And MicroArts Wolsung scenery works with that too.
Don't really have to wait for Wyrd.
>>
>>50682932
Yeah, but if it is discounted due to it being on kickstarter then I may be able to get a screaming deal.
>>
File: help.png (735KB, 456x628px) Image search: [Google]
help.png
735KB, 456x628px
hey guys... maybe you can help me.
>>50683102
>>
>>50683233
Bigger ones are

Infinity
Guild Ball
Malifaux
Saga
40K Kill Team

Look at each and see whether there is a scene near you, and whether the rules and aesthetic are for you
>>
>>50683283
>Look at each and see whether there is a scene near you
there is no scene for anything besides 40k and AoS.
That's why i want something on skirmish level so i could get 2 armies to play with a buddy if he ever ;_; drops by.
I leaning more on the sci fi setting and somehow "streamlined" rules. I really hate when game makes me roll and roll and roll for 10 minutes and it ends up in failing the action
>>
>>50683233
notable ones, eh?
In addition to this >>50683283 I'd mention Frostgrave as notable. It's doing very well atm.

Other than that
Alkemy
Batman
Bushido
Wolsung
In her Majesty's Name
Empire of the Dead
Counterblast
Sulphur
Eden
Punkocalypse
Deep Wars
Shadow Sea
Carnevale
Freebooter's Fate
Cutlass!
Wild West Exodus

are other games I can think of from the top of my head
>>
>>50683336
If you don't care what is popular then there are some good options, both in value and thematically.

Allow me to shill Deadzone. It is a sci-fi skirmish deal where you have about a dozen guys on each side, and as it is by mantic the figures are a really good value. You have nice hard plastic with a bunch of weapon options. The two player starter set they sell comes with nice plastic terrain (As opposed to the cheap paper stuff Infinity's does, while being the same price) and has everything that you would ever really need to play. You really can't beat it when it comes to value. The only thing that outdoes it would have to be Battletech.

There is a focus on campaigns so you can upgrade your dudes and have fun in-between events while you compete with your friend. It is much more streamlined than Infinity is, and has a really neat movement system that uses 3 inch blocks in order to measure position.

Infinity is pure sci-fi with some really nice figures. Malifaux is fantasy but alongside Fae, Witch Hunters, demons, there are a bunch of robots and people with super powers. Very streamlined, but there is a lot of complexity when it comes to interactions.
>>
>>50683336
>I really hate when game makes me roll and roll and roll for 10 minutes and it ends up in failing the action
Wait, what game does this?

Also, if there IS a scene, you can probably go talk with them. It's likely that at least one of them is playing something other than the main thing.
>>
>>50683426
>notable ones
i've never heard about any of those lol. But i am europoor so it's probably a given
>>
>>50683457
Yeah, I meant Frostgrave is a notable one.
As is Freebooters fate and WWE, though apparently only in Germany and the US respectively.

Frostgrave is kind of a big deal though.
By now there are 4 or 5 books and 3 plastic kits in addition to an entire range of metal models. Renedra even started doing plastic ruins because of the game.
>>
File: fucking orks and chainsaw doggos.jpg (272KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fucking orks and chainsaw doggos.jpg
272KB, 1000x1000px
>>50683440
Deadzone's prizes have me intrigued, because the thing keeping miniature games from growing here is the price (Most everyone interested is in college and broke or has a minimum wage job and a family). But, the rules look bad. I'm assuming this is based on the same ruleset as their mars attack game, and the whole exploding dice thing just makes everything a luck fest with no real emphasis on tactics and the movement system feels janky as fuck.
>>
>>50683444
>Wait, what game does this?
i may have exaggerated but i for example dislike 40k for the insane amount of rules and stuff i have to remember. I want to play a game not cram for an exam
>>
>>50641442
What is this bike?
>>
>>50683546
The rules are different, but you are right about some things. The initial version had some real power discrepancies between factions, and I am not sure if they have been fixed yet. If only they had based Alessio behind it like they did with Kings of War.

Regardless I imagine that you can use some of the figures like the ones in your picture as proxies in Kill Team or some other game. I really love how Mantic sells Made in the UK hard plastic for cheap, rather than just opting for Made in China PVC or some shit like Privateer Press does.
>>
>>50683457
>But i am europoor

>>50683426
>Alkemy
>Punkocalypse
>Eden
french

>Batman
>Carnevale
spanish

>Wolsung
polish

>Bushido
>Deep Wars
>Shadow Sea
>In her Majesty's Name
>Empire of the Dead
>Counterblast
>Sulphur
british

>Freebooter's Fate
>Cutlass!
german

come to think of it Avatars of War has a deathmatch game. Spanish Company
And there is also Urban Mammoth's Urban Warfare (brits).

>>50683576
Limited Edition resin by Studio McVey. Says so in the filename.
>>
>>50683545
>>50683283
>>50683440
what about Warmachine? Is it okay?
>>
>>50683661
Warmachine is much more expensive than any of the games mentioned, and generally requires more in the way of figures. but it is fine (Or at least will be once they unfuck quite a few factions). You can get one of the two player boxes for that and have a go at it. It has straightforward rules, but card game esque interactions and combos.
>>
>>50683658
>Wolsung
>polish
i'm polish and never heard of it, guess i am tabletop faggot
>>
File: poor cate.jpg (29KB, 753x601px) Image search: [Google]
poor cate.jpg
29KB, 753x601px
>>50683765
>Warmachine is much more expensive than any of the games mentioned
f-fug
>>
>>50683594
Kings of war is their actually solid game?
>>
File: hmm.jpg (134KB, 702x584px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
134KB, 702x584px
>>50683658
>>50683440
i checked Deadzone and i kinda dig Enforcers but... there isn't much available for me here... unless pic related is all
>>
>>50683995
There is more coming in the way of models. That said the starter and a boaster are really more than you will ever need to play the game. They just aren't selling the guys individually until their larger game, Warpath hits. You should probably start off with the two player set (It comes with Enforcers and Fathers), then when you get bored of it grab a booster for each faction.
>>
>>50683995
You only use about a dozen guys per side.
>>
>>50683944
Yeah, the rules for that are top notch. It really shows how good a game can be when it is actually playtested. I like Dungeon Saga as well, but that is a board game so irrelevant to this thread. I haven't tried Walking Dead or the new version of Warpath yet.
>>
>>50684021
>They just aren't selling the guys individually until their larger game, Warpath hits.
uh, hope the don't abandon this one?
>>50684033
i see

Enforcer models look nice-ish but other races are kind of... off... maybe i am too picky... i would actually feel "poor" by playing them.
I am poorish though so...
eh...
why modeling has to be so ludicrously overpriced...
I just want pretty figures for decent price ;__;
>>
>>50684081
Mantic haven't abandoned any games to my knowledge, unless you count Dwarf King's Hold which was replaced by Dungeon Saga.

The old Warpath stuff was removed from the store, but only to make way for the new stuff from the KS.
>>
>>50684081
Warpath and Deadzone use the same models. Whenever a new Warpath model that isn't a tank or thing otherwise too large for Deadzone hits, there will be Deadzone rules for it. So it will receive active support in the future.
>>
>>50683658
>Limited edition

Fug, I could've used it for conversions...
>>
>>50684081

A lot of the minis look better in hand, Mantic has the same problem as Spartan in that their studio paint jobs range from flat out bad to competent but bland.

As for DZ as a game it's honestly pretty good, it plays fast and has a nice flow to it. Command dice and faction abilities add some nice strategy to it.

The biggest problems with it are balance unfortunately, it's just all over the place. It makes it one of those games that is heavily dependant on your group, if you and your friends are happy to just play for fun then it might be worth looking into but if you want a competitive game then you should avoid it since it'll turn into a cluster fuck in no time.
>>
>>50657709
You can still get the minis here:

http://cadwallon.com/
>>
>>50680989
Plastcraft has official malifaux terrain.
>>
>>50683545
>WWE
>US
Oh its deadzo here too.
>>
>>50684714
I know. It's what I hope to see on sale with TOS Kickstarter.
>>
>>50684623
>>50684111
>>50684105
what would you recommend more between Deadzone and Infinity?
>>
>>50684983
In between in what aspect? If you are looking for somewhat similar games in theme and scope then Dark Age, MERCS, Eden, and 40K Kill Team are pretty rad. As was stated earlier, all of these are going to be more expensive than Deadzone.

It isn't really the same but if you want cheap sci-fi then look at Battletech. The box set is a very good deal, and ideal for playing with a more casual friend. The rules aren't super streamlined as they use a lot of detail when it comes to tracking the damage on the robots, but it is a solid experience. Check the Battletech general for advice.
>>
>>50684753
Oh, shame. I read the rules and they looks pretty solid to me.
Though I wasn't really sold on the setting and the minis personally.

>>50684983
There's not really much inbetween. Sci-fi skirmishers with their own miniature ranges are not too common.
MERCs is something that feels a bit more like a boardgame afaik.
And then you got Fallen Frontiers. Which sounds interesting, but it's pretty new and I don't know much else about it.

These are not inbetween the others, like there was a spectrum of games though. They are just different games.
>>
>>50684081
You can always just buy Chinese knock offs of GW figures. Getting 30 assault marines for $16 is nothing to sneeze at.
>>
>>50684983

Do you prefer apples or oranges?

I've played both and they are just so different. Infinity is much heavier than Deadzone and inherently more competitive due to it's complexity and style of gameplay. It's a very "crunchy" system which is actually why I stopped playing it.
>>
>>50685218
i don't get why all the tabletops i like the figures of are either expensive as fuck or billionrule-fest
>>
>>50685942
There is a common correlation between how expensive a figure is and how nice it looks. Whether something is complicated is a different matter. Try looking through more games and doing more research if you aren't happy with any that have been mentioned so far. A lot were listed earlier in the thread.
>>
>>50685942
Because

> expensive

and

> complex

Describe like two-thirds of the tabletop industry.
>>
>>50686008
>A lot were listed earlier in the thread.
ye i'm checking them out, many are not available here though
>>
>>50686024

Take note of the very truthful words from >>50686017

As far as price goes Deadzone and Battletech are as cheap as sci-fi skirmish gets. While not "Technically" skirmish you could buy into a game like Dropzone Commander which has cheaper per figure prices because it has smaller scale figures.
>>
>>50686072
As a DzC player, I wouldn't really describe it as a cheap game.

The 2-player starter box is great value and you even get the mat and scenery included, but beyond that the costs add up when you get resin stuff.
>>
File: crying cat.jpg (9KB, 261x192px) Image search: [Google]
crying cat.jpg
9KB, 261x192px
>>50686017
>>50686072
you know what? i think i give up.
i will just keep to window shopping i guess.
I think i am too picky for this...
>>
File: isorian-drone-commander-xan-tu.jpg (38KB, 900x800px) Image search: [Google]
isorian-drone-commander-xan-tu.jpg
38KB, 900x800px
>>50686123
P.S guess last thing i will ask about is Beyond the Gates of Antares.
Models looks niceish and doesn't seem too expensive.
Anyone?
>>
>>50686347
It seems to have a certain (albeit small) following and the rules themselves seem pretty alright.

The biggest complaint about it around here is that most of the model designs are a bit boring.
>>
File: noice.jpg (215KB, 956x639px) Image search: [Google]
noice.jpg
215KB, 956x639px
>>50686098
>>50686410
i just found super small online store that sells Dropzone Commander in my country. ayyy
There is a hope
>>50686072
>>50686098
Pic related doesn't actually look bad and is like 12$
It has something i would call "oldschool" look
If it was GW it would be like 80$
>>
>>50686410
>The biggest complaint about it around here is that most of the model designs are a bit boring.
And warlords marketing sucks major fucking balls. Their promo material is shit and the official scheme are hard to read.

Recently saw a decent picture of their freeborn models on ebay for the first time.
They seem to be really nice models actually.
I was just never able to tell that from the blobby shit warlords showcases in pictures that were cropped like in the 90s for dial up connections.

>>50686581
Don't forget that DzC is not 28mm
>>
File: fff.jpg (149KB, 897x601px) Image search: [Google]
fff.jpg
149KB, 897x601px
>>50686624
>Height: 31mm (guns levelled)
So they are a bit bigger than regular GW foot soldier figure
>>
>>50686817
their infantry is 10mm
>>
>>50641553
I picked it up on amazon for 20usd for the miniatures. Never actually played it though.
>>
>>50684637
And also on this site there's a link to an undated free version of the rules.

Cheers for the link, this game was (suppose is) really good. With really nice models, glad that is found a home.
Would shill this game line roll the cows come home!
>>
>>50685172
How does one find this fabled China man with his fabulous wares?
>>
>>50682932
There is a batman wargame?
>>
>>50687239
Based on the arkham videogames. Complete with mooks unable to see shit unless it's right next to a lampost.
>>
>>50687361
Is it any good?
>>
>>50687361
Is it the one called batman miniatures game?
>>
>>50686024
Just play X-Wing bro

It is cheap, has very easy to learn and generally streamlined rules, requires few figures, and is sci-fi. It is the best selling miniatures game in the USA for a reason.
>>
>>50688084
Yes. It looks pretty cool, but I have not played it.

>>50688826
It's the best selling game, because, it forces you to buy a dozen ships just to get a squad of four battle ready. Their whole "Here's a new 0 point upgrade for your TIE on this new product that makes your TIE outdated unless you purchase it" scheme works, for whatever reason people don't just boycott that bullshit.
>>
>>50687197
>>>/reddit/
No really. I found the catalogs and the email on the Yoyhammer subreddit. There are some fun deals that aren't stated explicitly too. Models like the Daemon Prince and the Warhammer Giant come with enough pieces to make two of each, and many kits that come with extra arms and heads have enough extra bodies to use them on separate figures. You will be spending more time cleaning irregular moldlines and such, but it is a small price to pay when you are saving oodles, even when shipping is factored in. As much as people complain about GW, their figures are perfect material for various /awg/ such as Frostgrave, ASOBAH, Kings of War, Dragon Rampant, ect.
>>
>>50681566
What, didn't like the big ass ice carrier?
>>
>>50673409
Don't worry - I posted that, went to work, and it miraculously arrived.

Now that you've complained about it on the internet, maybe the same will happen for you!
>>
>>50688886
>for whatever reason people don't just boycott that bullshit.
you can buy the loadout cards on ebay
>>
>>50690305
Which still drives up the sales for the models and the prices up for the loadouts if the models are unpopular.

It's just bullshit for a miniatures game, where the norm is a loadout change that doesn't alter external appearance doesn't require new purchases.
>>
>>50688886
I never bought a set for its upgrade card and still own 20 ships (2 of the big ones). It satisfies my space and dogfight needs with simple rules and good prepainted models. The only thing I'd need to keep in check is the urge to buy the maximun number of ships (4 most of the time) since we rarely play 100 point games.
>>
>>50690115
Here's hoping, friend!

In other news fresh errata for warzone: resurrection 2.0 is up, along with the full and complete rulebook with the errata folded into it.

http://warzone.prodosgames.com/sites/prodosgames.com/files/files/corporate_warbook_errata_included.pdf

Erratas on their own.

http://prodosgames.com/sites/prodosgames.com/files/files/errata_core_protocols_2.0.pdf
http://prodosgames.com/sites/prodosgames.com/files/files/errata_corporate_warbook_2.0.pdf
>>
>>50691467
Did they finally put table of contents and an index into it?
>>
Is the colonial wars game from Osprey any good?
>>
>>50691658
>>/hwg/
>>50685647
>>
File: nobz AT vip dot 163 dot com.jpg (16KB, 1143x148px) Image search: [Google]
nobz AT vip dot 163 dot com.jpg
16KB, 1143x148px
>>50687197
By lurking.. or asking nicely.

Pic related, just write a message and ask for the price for whatever you want to order and also ask for shipping costs to your country. He will provide you with all info and if its acceptable for you you ask for a paypal invoice.
>>
From today's Warlord newsletter:

Warlord Games obtain 2000 AD miniatures licence.
Warlord Games is to produce a new line of miniatures and games based on the legendary British comic book, 2000 AD!
>>
>>50692882
What can we expect from this? I'm not familiar with british comic books.
>>
>>50692900
Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper.
>>
>>50692905
Didn't they already sell Judge Dredd?
>>
>>50658500
Modiphius also have the Infinity RPG to deliver.
>>
>>50692915
They were just a distributor for Mongoose Publishing's 2000AD range.

>>50692951
Is it on time? I've heard good stuff about them, and they also made Airfix Battles (I want to pick up at one point).
>>
How is frostgrave?
>>
>>50693694
Fun for campaigns
It isn't ideal for one off games, but if you have a group to go through a campaign with then it can be pretty enjoyable. Especially if you can actually houserule it to fix the broken parts.
>>
>>50689277
Thank you for the heads up I'll have a good look then ;)
>>
>>50692248
Thank you kindly

Seems like a reasonable way of doing things. I like what he's got on fantasy, wonder what his sci-fi range is like!
>>
>>50692969
Infinity is not on time, not by a long shot.

If warlord can snag rules for Judge Dredd, it will be great.
>>
>>50696649
Gates of Mega City One or Dredd Action when.
>>
Would /awg/ have an interest in helping develop a wargame? /tg/ based efforts are usually a one man job with /tg/ occasionally helping out and providing ideas and feedback, which would be pretty helpful when playtesting a wargame. I have a few good ideas for a setting and ruleset and some help and playtesting would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>50696823
What kind of game?
>>
>>50696838
Platoonsized Squadbased soft SciFi.
>>
>>50697041
Sure, post the rules, I'll take a look at them. Maybe I can play it too.
>>
What are people working on?

I've just finished painting my 1000 points of 10mm Kings of War Orcs, and writing some army list stuff (attached). I tried writing the unit descriptions "in-character" to get the oldhammer feel right.

Next up is buy some 10mm Landsknechts and do the human army to go with them.
>>
File: 20161214_142909.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161214_142909.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>50697536
Pic related is the majority of my army, lacking only one stand of boars and one stand of club-armed Orcs (now painted).

The stone circle with shaman and banner-bearer is a War Drum in larger games, or just a little command diorama for smaller games.
>>
>>50697536
If only I bothered to write fluff like that for my armies. Nice work anon. I will have to see if I can move away EasyArmy and do the same next time I write up a list.
>>
>>50697632
I used Easyarmy for the stats then just typed them up. I am the most Your Dudes player in my local community I think, I love it.
>>
>>50697608
>tfw I though about using one of those AoS dudes as giant for my Frostgrave bestiary
They are huge.

Nice army. Looks super cute...err I mean ded 'ard an' killy of course.
>>
>>50698800
It's fitting as the official Frostgrave giant is actually pretty small compared to most other companies giants, so the Chaos Warrior would work out.
>>
>>50698800
The Warboss model has this brilliantly dopey face, it's like something from Fighting Fantasy.
>>
>>50697608
How much did that army set you back, not including paints and bases?
>>
>>50699340
21 pounds including postage got me all that plus enough figures for another 4 stands of spearmen, another 2 stands of macemen, another stand of cavalry, a standard bearer and another Warboss.

The AoS model was a free gift with White Dwarf so cost me about 5 pounds, it's probably 15 or so new.

The bases were 2 pounds for as I recall 10 rectangular and 10 square monster ones.
>>
>be in K47 fb group
>they post their new german Fallschirmjäger minis
>Jetpacks + FG42 rifles
>point out that the usage of the FG-42 in 1947 is kinda lazy and lame design when the Germans had all sorts of newer assault rifle prototypes
>Clockwork Goblin sculptor gets defensive and mad
>get kicked out of the group

Yeah, fuck you too.
>>
>>50699551

>telling lies on the internet
>>
>>50699551
What would have been more reasonable weapons to use?
>>
>>50699551
Has CG done any of their own plastics, or are the only plastic K47 models just the ones from Bolt Action?
>>
>>50699999

They're just the ones from BA.
>>
>>50699955
The FG-42 was build in small numbers only (less than 10000 actually, compared to almost 500k Stg-44) because it was expensive and also quite heavy. Not a bad weapon, but the Stg-44 was a better weapon. There were prototypes (such as the Stg-45) that were based upon the Stg-44, the FG-42 concept was dumped alltogether during the actual war.
Now in K47 the war advances. until 1947 with alot of new technology around etc. Your typical generic weird war.. so wouldn't it make sense that the Germans would use their actual late war designs they had (or had planned) instead of digging out a old gun from mid-war? As i said, to me that is super lazy design.
To answer your question: Stg-45, Volkssturmgewehr 1-5 maybe even some of the designs based upon these like the Cetme or even the HK G3.
>>50699999
I'm talking about their metal minis only, the Plastics are 100% WW2 minis from Warlord, which is fine. Of course these would use WW2 weapons.
>>
>>50700090

One of the design problems with weird war is you need old weapons to actually make it look like it's WW2. Otherwise you end up with the problem the Captain America movie had. It just doesn't look like the past.

Yeah sure you might know that Germany had loads of different assault rifles that they could use but does your average normie pleb who learnt everything he knows about WW2 from vidya and tv know that? Does he care?
>>
File: German late war doll.jpg (90KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
German late war doll.jpg
90KB, 480x640px
>>50700232
I get your point, but a German (weird) WW2 soldier is mostly identified by his helmet above all things. (Funnily enough, pic related is how the germans wanted their helmets to look like in 45). The exact shape of his weapon doesn't matter and your average normie doesn't know shit about either of those weapons.
I guess it would have been a nice touch if they had invested some thought into their K47 scenario to make it somewhat realistic in itself instead of going the "Hey, its just like WW2 but with zombies n shit"-route like so many others before.
>>
>>50699489
Update: if I used every figure I bought plus that chaos warrior as a giant it's exactly 1750 points in Kings of War. Probably not a good army but who gives a fuck.

After doing Empire I have priced up Dorfs and High Elves. 1000 points of Elves is £13.50 - 2 stands of horse archers, 2 of swordmasters, 2 of knights, a Wizard and a Lord on giant eagle.
>>
>>50699551
I'm not seeing the guy getting defensive.
>>
So the Other Side Kickstarter launched, with a sample gameplay video going over it.

Not sure if I'll back. I like the rules and the models, but the pre-assembled irks me, especially looking at the detail on some of them and then thinking about trying to paint them.
>>
>>50653724
Anyone got more info on this?
>>
>>50702854
They really need to not use fishmen for their "this is how good our casts are" vids. They're really poor examples consdering theyre monster sized and aren't filled with much detail. (the teeth looked good at least)
also they tilted the Fish titans upper body but left his legs static
>>
Anyone try out the Marvel game? I don't need to get into another skirmish game but its maaaahvel baby
>>
>>50702854
I'm in the same boat. In the end I don't know if it is worth it to pay that much for preassembled PVC models, especially when you compare the prices and such to what Reaper Bones and Mythic Battles Pantheon offered in their Kickstarters.

They said that unassembled models will come later, but after the Kickstarter. So if you don't want to deal with that then you may want to hold out.
>>
>>50704468
It probably recycles the batman minis' rules, and if it does, it sucks. As the ruleset for that game is very specific to batman antics.
>>
>>50704650
Do you know for sure?
>>
>>50704722
I've been reading that the biggest difference between the 2 is that batman uses a light/vision system and d6's and marvel has interactable terrain uses d8's other than that i have no idea
>>
>>50689277
On the other hand, it stinks like cancer itself
>>
>>50704834
Just wear a dust mask when sanding or filing. I follow the guidelines in the Forgeworld assembly guide and haven't had any issues.
>>
>>50704536
The price is okay. Its just how much of a pain its going to be to paint them. Especially the Horde, so many crawling poses.
>>
>>50704468
Ruleswise reminds me alot of Anima Tactics but with D8s. It was fun enough when I played but definitely lighter fare/needed infinity levels of terrain and mcguffins.
>>
>>50700993
I though that FG-42 was jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type of a deal.
>>
>>50702854
Problem is, it's fucking expensive. Don't think I'll ever pick it up.
>>
File: Enforcer-Set-Up-2.jpg (320KB, 1000x502px) Image search: [Google]
Enforcer-Set-Up-2.jpg
320KB, 1000x502px
>>50697536
Well, I'm getting my Warpath Enforcer stuff in the mail next week, so I gotta pick a colour scheme for them.
>>
>>50700993
Charles Russ comment is kinda defensive if you ask me.
>>
>>50681566
What's so bad about the French gunship and Russian corvette?
>>
>>50707777
>French gunship
one serious fatfuck of a model
>RC corvette
ugly nu-aesthetic hull shape
>>
>>50705746
I'm cool with games that actually use terrain, pretty much why I fell out of warmahordes to be honest, so can I buy whoever and use them or am I stuck with using only avengers with avengers and x-men with x-men?
>>
>>50687465
The miniatures are beautiful but I haven't had a chance to play a game yet
>>
>>50707682
http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Kreytzen_Fusiliers
>>
File: 1481825004387.jpg (219KB, 700x820px) Image search: [Google]
1481825004387.jpg
219KB, 700x820px
Stolen from the Malifaux general, they posted a second set of commanders as a stretch goal. Unlocks at 225k.
>>
>>50713853
So do the Cult of the Burning Man mostly focus on getting high as fuck, listening to indie bands and starting tech startups?
>>
>>50714093
They are mostly about thinking with portals.
>>
>>50709955
There is a villain/hero split as well as team orientations (teams thus far are Xmen/Avengers/Guardians) Dark Avengers got a set and the brotherhood of evil mutants are there too.
>>
>>50653724
>>50664117
>>50664154
>>50665513
>>50665584
>>50666060
Speaking from a guy who actually plays SoBaH;

I absolutely love the game. I think it's great for very small warband skirmishes. That being said, I know there are some flaws and limitations with it. The Quality mechanic is really cool and makes the games interesting, but Combat is where things get wonky. I wish it had a defense combat score, and an attack combat score. That would make shit a lot more dynamic and unique. But for simple fantasy, it works fine I think. The special rules are where a lot of people have gripes with it, and I think its because people get too rules happy and lose sight of the game's simplicity. I think Advanced song of blades and heroes especially is guilty of this, therefor I dont like that version all that much. If you limit your non-character models to 2-3(max) special rules per model, you get a creative and exciting game to play.

Where the game especially breaks down is when you try doing big battles, which even with group moves and group orders, it really starts to break down. It gets clunky and you have a lot of models not doing anything turn to turn because of the way Quality checks work. I'd say you start seeing this anywhere above 300 or 400 points. I will do those big points, but only if I encourage people to take one expensive Tough monster each.

The game also breaks down when any player starts getting really range heavy. This is also why I found SoBaH really doesnt work for scifi. Part of this is made up with ranged models being more expensive than non-ranged, but you still have to sort of police yourselves with it. So the game doesnt work competitively, but if you are playing with bros, it's great.

cont.
>>
File: warbandcards.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
warbandcards.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50715660
I also played the mutants and deathray guns, and that is pretty cool too. Again it suffers from the same flaws above, but it kinda works for postapocalyptic because technology and guns are meant to be rare finds, so most warbands should reflect that. I like it though.

I haven't looked into the rules of Rogue Stars yet, but I do like Sfiligoi's work. He seems to be a pretty cool indie developer that has provided me with plenty of enjoyment. (again though, I really don't like advanced sobah). So I preordered a copy because I am always looking for cool low-model count scifi skirmish games. (I like deadzone a lot, despite many of it's glaring balance issues).

Pic related is a fun document I've been doing that makes neat little stat-cards for my Sobah models. I just started perusing pathfinder minis and went nuts making stats for them. I already own all the dwarfs, goblins, most of the orcs, and all the stormcast eternals. All the rest are just stock photos if minis I plan on owning long-term.
>>
>>50715771
Also what gets me really excited to play sobah, is this document. It's chock full of tons of scenarios and missions that work well for the game, inspire bu warhammer skirmish and mordheim scenarios.
>>
File: 1481757459054.jpg (986KB, 1400x990px) Image search: [Google]
1481757459054.jpg
986KB, 1400x990px
>tfw no dark osprey book with soviet supertanks like pic related or soldier ape men
>tfw no dark osprey book with american superheros on the battlefield.
why do nazis get all the cool shit? Fucking wehrmachtboos i tell you what
>>
Page 10 bump.

Had my Made to Order Daemonettes arrive today, using the mounted daemonettes as my Wild Huntsmen for my upcoming Dark Legion Ilian army. Need to find some Templars, both 1st or 2nd edition Target Games sculpts would work, and make a mold for them. Going to be trawling ebay for now.
>>
File: templars_possibly.jpg (107KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
templars_possibly.jpg
107KB, 720x540px
>>50720910
Evan, is that you?

I have pic related, will move them to the front of the queue for molding if you want.
>>
>>50721800
One and the same, and that would be quite appreciated mate.
>>
Bump - Christmas makes the thread a bit slow, isn't it?
>>
My Warpath pledge just turned up, just got the rulebooks and the dice.

The bonus tokens are shocking quality, like those cheap toys from christmas crackers.
>>
>>50723590
I didn't even get a notification that it was shipped.

I'm a bit upset.
>>
>>50715660
Is it a good skirmish game for introducing people into miniature games?
>>
>>50724640
Definitely.
>>
>>50693718
Semi related, but do you know whether decreasing a spell's casting difficulty with your leveling up point also makes it easier to save against?

The way it's phrased doesn't give you a bonus on your roll, so what's the point? All you're doing is making mind control easier to resist.
>>
>>50723641

I didn't either it just turned up.

I'd forgot all about it desu and was a bit confused since it was the mantic packaging and I'd not ordered anything recently.
>>
>>50718728
Is this real?
It doesnt make any sense to build it than "looks edgy"
>>
>>50726694
It's a well-known hoax. Although, to be fair, it was always meant to be humourous.
>>
>>50724640
It is probably the best skirmish game for introducing new people into miniatures gaming. I could describe why, but this video says it best, I recommend you watch it, it's only about 10min

https://youtu.be/b2Yxc84VYJA

Basically it does a good job at introducing all the elements of miniwargaming that we all are familiar with, even army and unit building and customization. I could easily see just providing a new player a pile of minis, then let him make stats for them and a simple 200tps list.
>>
>>50718728
Secrets of the Third Reich has some of the cool shit, tho none of them in greater detail, sadly.

Also, most Weird World War movies center around that. The Outpost series for example - as cheesy they can be sometimes, I really enjoyed each of them, but made me wish for some non-German weird shit.
>>
File: dreddchristmas.jpg (188KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dreddchristmas.jpg
188KB, 640x480px
What do you guys think we can expect from Warlords 2000ad license?
Are they gonna pick up Moongoose's sculpts and game or will the make a new line?

I'm hype.
>>
>>50683233
try EDEN or go Nuts with No Limits. But EDEN remains the best skirmish for me.
>>
>>50683336
As I said in >>50732350, but Eden has Post Apoc/Sci-Fi and No Limits open to anything. You can get your own Minis, create profiles for them and play at any size that you want. You can use old 40k Minis and suit them to your likings more, or get what ever sci-fi mini you like and make whole armys out of them.
>>
>>50723641
>>50726363
I got my Fed-Ex email last week. I'll be getting my Warpath stuff next Tuesday.
>>
>>50731968
They were already releasing mongoose's stuff, they may already own the molds.
>>
>>50735767
Yeah, but maybe someone heard something.

Apparently there was a legal snafu of some kind which is why they currently don't sell the Judge Dredd stuff anymore.
Buying Moongoose's stuff after getting the rights themselves would mean no big changes.
If they instead are gonna do their own thing this could be pretty interesting.

Most of the MG sculpts were really dated, but I heard good things about the rules for their game.
>>
>>50700325

Ahh, glorious NVA helmet. Methinks the only one who got it "right" are the Microarmour guys (Wehrmacht 47), who went insane with E-series tanks and T-44 and post-war projects. While reading K47 I was kinda surprised to find the, well, basic worldbuilding so poor (everyone is using 1943-44 equipment, minors do not exist, it's the usual "Nazis with Zombies" that countless people did better before - one for all, Gear Krieg-).

And of course, writing the Soviets as worse than the Nazis ("Muh subhuman human wave hordes") was also kinda iffy. I mean, it's not difficult to check the Nets and get some cheap books on late war\postwar designs: we're not in the 80ies, stuff can be easily found.

But I guess, effort.
>>
>>50732350
>>50732406
EDEN's website is hilariously shitty
>>
>>50738119
People who know very little of WWII think that Soviets are human wave faction.

And I guess it;s easier to give flavor to the factions instead of most platoon level games being "dudes vs. basically identical doods in different uniforms"
>>
>>50644982
>armies are rather undevelopped with only like 15 options to them since they chose to add more and more factions(fucking aliens) instead of expanding existing factions.
Personal pet hate.
Ruined so many games for me.
>>
>>50681188
>Wyrd's pretty good at delivering what the renders show
This, but I'm still far from convinced that the bendy plastic will really hold details or paint all that well.

And I'm still not really sold on mono-pose, especially with multiple duplicates per army starter box.
>>
Man, you can really see the main problems with Spartan Games from their handling of the Dystopian Wars Kickstarter.
>>
>>50739888
What are they doing?
Thread posts: 281
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.