[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 43

File: cucklock.jpg (108KB, 818x603px) Image search: [Google]
cucklock.jpg
108KB, 818x603px
Latest News
Druid UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread >>50519864

How do you guys play Warlock?
Do you prefer Blaster, Bladelock, or Tomelock with Shillelagh?
>>
Green is da best
>>
Chain lock is my favorite.

Bladelock with polearm master for damage. Tomelock is good too, but doesn't offer either the utility of chainlock or damage of bladelock
>>
File: Character_f1ee01_5829144.jpg (124KB, 736x1030px) Image search: [Google]
Character_f1ee01_5829144.jpg
124KB, 736x1030px
>>50528134
Blaster all the way. Being able to consistently deal solid damage and to move creatures away from you is great, and there are so many ways to augment it with concentration abilities. Hex for the added damage and debuff, ascendant step to become a floating turret outside of melee reach, darkness and devil's sight for added cover, etc...

I think bladelocks aren't bad, but they don't play to the class's strengths.
>>
>>50528134
Tomelock life
>>
>>50527963
>It'll just serve to annoy everybody because your character is literally "whatever I felt like at the time" which is impossible to work with or do anything with. Do you not see how that's aggravating to have around?
What I was thinking for my character was something along the lines of "I don't like the way it is right now, so im going to change it", is that a bad way to play it, and the char is only CN because his actions wouldn't fit a LN or TN character because of their nature.
>>
>>50528134
Does anyone actually understand how the fuck Warlock works?

Eldritch Blast isn't the main feature, and only exists so you don't have to worry about combat viability.

Warlock is the better at Disguising and Deceiving than any other class, if you seriously fucking think that combat is the main focus of a Warlock outside of Eldritch Blast you're fucking retarded. Eldritch Blast is literally all of your combat viability, you shouldn't have any other combat spells. All options help you in one way or another being a tricky bastard. Take Actor and you're a literal master of disguise, you can turn yourself into whatever you want regardless of the situation. The ability to create illusions whenever you want is amazing, same with not having to waste a spell or spell slot on having or casting comprehend languages or darkvision. The spellcasting is meant to be spontaneous, and not prepared, as you can't plan what will go down. Your options exist so incase things don't go as planned, you don't get caught or mess up.

If you want an example of what Warlock is supposed to be played like, think of Dr. Facilier in Princess and the Frog (the disney movie), or the Devil in Needful Things.
>>
Tomelock with multiclass.
>>
>>50528134
>>50526969
>>50527026
That sounds fucking atrocious. All I can think is to offer to DM, but that might be taken poorly.
For the player that feels anxious roleplaying, I can sympathize. That Guy Chaotic Neutral rogue in my group never talks in character, and I think it's partly because he doesn't feel comfortable with it.
Any advice on helping him roleplay? Not even necessarily doing a voice, just getting him to not act like a generic, off the shelf, CA aligned jackoff.
>>
>>50528185
>>50528217
>>50528252
Good taste.

>>50528226
Shit Taste. Go play a wizard.

>>50528259
Shittiest Taste
>>
>>50528185
>bladelock for damage
When you factor in how often you'll be useless and the damage you're wasting from the healing characters due to being a general liability from running into melee, you're not really doing any more damage.
>tomelock doesn't offer the utility of chainlock
You can literally get a familiar from tomelock as well. It's not as good a familiar, but on top of having access to every single cantrip, having a back-up melee attack (shillelagh + GFB/BB) if you get pressed to the wall, having things such as guidance/resistance I'd say tomelock competes for utility, although it's a different flavour of utility.
>>
Undying Light warlock, tome pack using shillelagh and GFB. Any recommend invocation or feats? should I just max out my CHA first?

Probably going to attack mainly with Eldritch Blast like normal warlock though.
>>
Alright peeps, since people last night were asking for a Poison gish option, I've tried my hand at it. Obviously this is probably bloated and broken as hell and this is just a placeholder while I get opinions and thoughts on possible mechanics.

Venom-Bite Blade
Cantrip Evocation(Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M(A weapon)
Duration: Instantaneous

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, and the target takes poison damage equal to your spellcasting modifier until the end of your next turn. On the start of the targets next turn, they take damage equal to your spellcasting modifier. If this effect is applied again before the end of your next turn, the target takes an additional 1d4 poison damage and has disadvantage on Strength checks until the end of your next turn.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d6 poison damage and the second poison damage is increased to 2d4 . The damage rolls increase by 1d6 and 1d4 at 11th level and 17th level.

Opinions?
>>
>>50528307
Why would a Gish with full caster progression every be useless? You seem like a moron, no offense.
>>
>>50528349
Pretty gud, but just make them poisoned for a turn instead.
>>
>>50528307
Don't underestimate how much better having a sentient, invisible, flying scout that you can see through the eyes of is. If he picks anything up, it becomes invisible too. He can provide the help action on almost every skill check. He can keep watch while you sleep. He can just about cover half of all the rituals you can get, but he can do them instantly and right at level three. Tomelock is a trap. Have fun wasting your money on the few ritual scrolls your going to actually see in your campaign.
>>
>>50528320
Don't take Shillelagh or GFB, its completely outclassed by Eldritch Blast in every single way.

Use it to get more utility cantrips, like Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, Friends, Mage Hand, etc.

Take the Actor, its a fucking blessing, you don't need anything else.

There are tons of great invocations, but here are some suggestions. Take Agonizing Blast, don't be stupid. Mask of Many Faces and Misty Visions are amazing, once you realize what it means when you combine it with the Actor feat. You always want to take your pact gift feats, so take Book of Ancient Secrets, and choose Find Familiar as one of your spells.

Undying Light kind of sucks, not gonna lie. You need to realize that combat wise you shouldn't be doing anything besides eldritch blasting, as Warlock truly shines outside of combat.
>>
>>50528395
Poisoned as in the DOT spellcasting modifier, or the disadvantage? Because with the way I wrote it, they both end at the end of your next turn. Unless the enemy manages to take multiple turns before your next, it all effectively lasts for one turn/round.
>>
>>50528364
>full caster progression
Worse progression than other full spellcasters, along with not having access to certain spells such as 'wish' later, not being able to upcast beyond level 5, having less level 6/7 spell slots, having only one spell assigned to each...

Then, bladelock is too stathungry as you've locked yourself out of the chance to become SAD. Your spellcasting will be worse than full casters unless you forsake your dex/str.

>gish
Basically a worse gish than bladesinger. Less armour, slower, worse spellcasting, et cetera. Invocations are the only real upside you're giving yourself, and you've dumped two of those on trying to make melee viable. You have to multiclass to even get any semblance of armour, and that delays your spellcasting progression even more.

Warlock is the perfect design for firing line tactics where everybody sits far away and blasts the enemies faster than they approach.
Bladelock is that guy in the firing line who stopped firing their musket and instead charged alone head-on with a bayonet. Yes, you're going to hurt people more, but you're an idiot.

>>50528402
Your DM is unlikely to allow help action on every skill check, as while it may have proficiency with 'deception' the DM will likely not allow the Imp to back up your case that you're not a warlock to give you advantage.
Scouting is almost just as good with a flying snake familiar.
It's mostly the stealth actions they're good for, and the familiar still has to succeed on stealth.
>>
>>50528402
Tomelock isn't a trap dumbass.

You don't need a scroll either. If your party has other casters, you can get the spells from them, or you can learn it from an NPC caster as well.

Tomelock gives you 3 extra cantrips, that fucking ridiculous. Being able to have something like Eldritch Blast, Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, Friends, plus whatever other cantrips you want, could be Message, Mending, Mage Hand, Thaumaturgy, Druidcraft, Vicious Mockery, etc.

You can still get Find Familiar through your first two rituals. Sure it can't turn invisible, but you can still see through the eyes of your familiar.

The ability to have your familiar attack is fucking pointless, since Eldritch Blast is always better.

Neither are trap options, they're both awesome.
>>
File: apathetic-man.jpg (23KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
apathetic-man.jpg
23KB, 700x466px
>group agrees to make a wiki for our multi-dm persistent world "campaign"
>mfw I know everyone's going to eventually lose interest and it'll be just me updating shit, DMing, and generally lifting a finger because everyone else is a lazy fucking ass ("they don't have time")
>meanwhile I'm sleeping 6h and studying 8h a day

dude I love doing this I just wish everyone had the same enthusiasm
>>
File: 1472836655577.jpg (55KB, 720x525px) Image search: [Google]
1472836655577.jpg
55KB, 720x525px
>>50528445
poisoned as in disadvantage on all ability checks, but it's still an incredibly useful tool when combined with stuff like watery sphere.
>>
May a monk use spears and a short bow?
>>
>>50528527
Something like this then?

Venom-Bite Blade
Cantrip Evocation(Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M(A weapon)
Duration: Instantaneous

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, and the target takes poison damage equal to your spellcasting modifier until the end of your next turn. On the start of the targets next turn, they take damage equal to your spellcasting modifier. If this effect is applied again before the end of your next turn, the target takes an additional 1d4 poison damage and has disadvantage on Strength checks until the end of the target's turn.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d6 poison damage and the second poison damage is increased to 2d4 . The damage rolls increase by 1d6 and 1d4 at 11th level and 17th level.
>>
>>50528471
Warlocks should almost never take spells that rely on their casting stat. They take spells that have no chance of failure. As such, a bladelock can be built with strength first and charisma second. Mountain dwarf and variant human are the best races.

When the other guy is talking about the help action, hrs talking about the in combat action. A normal familiar doing this is going to die. An invisible imp flying 15 feet down to help you hit a dude then fifteen feet up is not.

It's like this is your first day optimizing characters.
>>
File: tumblr_odkjs2XzIh1v2fco7o1_1280.jpg (100KB, 682x768px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_odkjs2XzIh1v2fco7o1_1280.jpg
100KB, 682x768px
>>50528471
>Your DM is unlikely to allow help action on every skill check, as while it may have proficiency with 'deception' the DM will likely not allow the Imp to back up your case that you're not a warlock to give you advantage.
You aren't thinking creatively. You just need to describe a realistic way that it can aid you. Almost every str and dex skill can be buffed with an extra pair of flying hands, and perception, insight, and lore skills can also be buffed by the familiar's extra eyes and knowledge. Sure he may not be able to help you with deception, but that's what the friends cantrip is for.

>Scouting is almost just as good with a flying snake familiar.
They can't turn invisible, so no it's nowhere near as good.

>It's mostly the stealth actions they're good for, and the familiar still has to succeed on stealth.
Not so much if it's invisible or looks like a common raven,

You can try and defend Tome, but it's nowhere near as good as Chain.
>>
Daily reminder that if you have problems with your stats, just wear heavy armor and shield.
>>
>>50528557
Thats not the reason why they don't take spells that rely on their casting stat.

You need a high Charisma not so you can cast spells, because of what charisma does for you. Spells like disguise self and minor illusion don't require high charisma, but being able to use them to the highest potential does.
>>
File: 192478274935.jpg (116KB, 698x672px) Image search: [Google]
192478274935.jpg
116KB, 698x672px
What's the most ''shit hit the fucking fan'' moment you've had this edition /5eg/?
>i'm playing a barbarian (human if that matters to anyone)
>party finds a huge castle
>we clear it out
>figure we can fix it up
>we just found a shit ton of loot in the basement that was forgotten about
>manage to create a nice place
>we all manage to find wives and husbands in the string of 2 years in game
>we all have kids
>everything is going good
>look back on our adventuring days with laughter, retelling the tale of how our wizard almost got hitched to a gnoll due to a prank by a gnome
>this goes on for another 4 years in game
>one night we all wake up to screaming
>the castle is under attack
>suddenly we are put in stasis
>when we come out of it all our families are dead
>our children lay bloodied in their beds, our wives and husbands throats slit
>we are the only ones alive
>one of our party members commits suicide on the spot
>two people irl are distraught
>DM ends session there
>mfw
>>
>>50528535
Yes, but what's your real question?
>>
>one of our party members commits suicide on the spot

Good. He was weak.
>>
>>50528583
Even if you're a wizard with 8 int?
>>
>>50528535
Yes. You are proficient in all Simple Weapons.

Spears are considered a Monk Weapon, as they are a simple melee weapon without the heavy or two-handed properties.

Shortbows are Ranged Weapons, so they do not receive any benefits from your Features regarding Monk Weapons.

You don't even need to own the book for this; this is all in the SRD.
>>
>>50528557
He said skill checks. He's clearly talking about familiars replacing the 'guidance' use. Guidance gives 1d4, the help action gives advantage on a skill check and is better than 1d4 and doesn't require your action and concentration to do.
However, I'd be surprised if a DM let a familiar help on any skill check except perhaps knowledge checks,.

The thing is, by that point, you're restricting the spells you know quite a bit. A wizard gets way more spells to choose from, and can choose important ones with save-or-die effects, or damaging effects such as fireball.

The real problem with the PAM bladelock thing is it's trying to do several things and it does it worse than all its counterparts: Frontline Fighter (You'll probably already have one of these, so don't get in their way. They'll likely have better defence overall, and do more melee damage) and Caster (Other casters will have better progression, more spells, etc.)

If you don't have a front-line fighter, you're in fact better off with agonizing + repelling blast as you can actively push enemies away from reaching your team, and melee enemies can't attack anyone until they reach your team. If you have a front-liner, hopefully they're a barbarian or some sort of damage sponge. Then, a fighter or paladin will probably do more damage.

A paladin wouldn't do full casting, but they'd do their job of keeping the team safe, and still do damage. Somebody else can do full casting.
>>
>>50528655
>Wizard with 8 int
wew lad
>>
>>50528134
I prefer bladelocks. Partly because I personally don't find magic that fun, and partly because there are some interesting combos one can do if going bladelock, such as darkness+devil's sight+Great Weapon Master or Armour of Agathys+Flame Shield
>>
File: 1473559780307.jpg (401KB, 1574x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1473559780307.jpg
401KB, 1574x1920px
>>50528556
Eh synergy between party members is never a BAD thing d4 damge is fine if it stays strength, but I'd still shift it to disadvantage on Constitution and a mental stat (maybe Intelligence) ability checks; This lets the damage remain a d6 and doesn't create too many, if any, complete lock down set ups.
>>
>>50528655
>wizard with 8 int
This meme isn't even a week old and yet already I find myself looking forward to its death with great anticipation.
>>
>>50528702
>8 int wizards and 8 cha sorcs
>diamond pickaxe
>druid wild form breeding programs
>you can just refluff any race as other races
>my human lives hundreds of years and has pointy ears
>I could solo 10 000 goblins
Am I forgetting anything?
>>
>>50528298
Why dont you like tomelock? I am going 2 levels into lock for improved EB with my bard but what is wrong with tome?
>>
>>50528568
Yes, flying snakes can't turn invisible. However, they can still do all the same jobs, they can still make stealth checks (that even invisible familiars must make, even if the invisible familiar is much more likely to pass it) and if it fails? Eh, it's just a magical snake, who cares?
>or looks like a common raven
Then get a common raven with 'find familiar'.

I'll agree your DM will probably allow your familiar to help with any mind-based checks it has proficiency in.
Oh, what's that for an imp? Only insight. It has a nice stealth+5, but that, deception+4 and persusasion+4 are unlikely to be allowed for the 'help' action unless it turns itself into a raven and people are willing to believe what a guy with a talking raven says.
>>
>>50528655
>can't even multiclass for armour
Be a dwarf.
>>
>>50528743
You can refluff any class as other classes.
>>
>>50528750
Familiars are broken and highly abusable and they're pretty much saying that's good grounds for never going anything but tome.
>>
File: BoneNaga.jpg (46KB, 388x739px) Image search: [Google]
BoneNaga.jpg
46KB, 388x739px
>>50528623
When after going into an abandoned mine and getting to the end, we encountered a bone naga in a chamber.

>Barbarian gets put down on the first turn
>Bard goes invisible to hide
>Me the Wizard and our Ranger run outside
>The Fighter gets charmed and essentially mind controlled since GM thought charm was like older editions
>Previous room was something like a grand hall, before the Fighter had been charmed he was keeping it at bay
>I proceed to go full Vietnam and make many holes, ditches, and mounds of dirt to act as sandbags with Mold Earth
>I give the Ranger a shooting platform in the form of dirt
>I proceed to illusion a fake hole before a real one, to try and trick it out and assume all the holes are fake
>Doesn't work as he uses the wrongly-mind controlled Fighter into the real one, causing him to fall down a 30 ft hole
>Ranger gets blown the fuck up, immediately death saving throws
>Just me and the Bard now
>Until I realize I had something the GM gave me as story fluff, and had forgotten about
>A spellbook of my master's, locked down with exploding runes and curses in case someone stole it
>Meant to deter me from getting OP spells, I figured now was the only shot I had
>Light that shit on fire, open it up, tossed it at the Bone Naga, and ducked in my dirt trench
>Fighter was safe from the explosion since he was technically out of range in the hole
>Bone Naga barely alive, the bard comes out of invisibility, and looking at the barely alive Bone Naga
>Yells "FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUU" with a Vicious Mockery
>It crumbled under the insult, crying as it died
>>
>>50528743
What's really impressive is those all happened in the same thread.
>>
>>50528743
>GWM + Sharpshooter heavy crossbow melee fighting
>net melee fighting
>create bonfire for maximum cantrip damage
>I want to be [exact replica of stereotypical rogue] but not a rogue so I'm going to make a homebrew fighter.
>>
>>50528639

Well i don't really know much about dnd. I'm a miniature war-gamer mostly, though I've dabbled in shadow run. I just got invited to a dnd game by a good friend, so i figured i would ask around here since i know nothing. i wanna make a character based off the Algai'd'siswai from wheel of time. I dropped the question in the last thread just before this one got started, and the only response i got was that i should try a monk. I was under the impression dnd monks just used their fists, so i figured i would ask if they even could use the appropriate equipment first. So yeah, thats why i wanna know, i wanna make an Algai'd'siswai and i figured i would ask here to see what you all recommended.
>>
>>50528743

You can teleport with cantrips
>>
>>50528697
The help another rule let's one creature help another if it could take the action itself.

An imp has proficiency in deception, insight, stealth, and perception. At a minimum it could:

>Act as a spotter in stealth, or create distractions, thus helping you
>Watch the person you're lying to and offer advice on how to convince them, thus helping you
>Size up someone talking to you, letting you know if it thinks they are lying, thus helping you
>Give you a bird's eye view of the area, letting you take multiple angles into account on your perception check, thus helping you.

If this "surprises" you, you lack the required imagination to play pretend, and heaven forbid you ever referee a game of pretend.

>Bladelock
Gishes generally are a compromise between caster and martial, but bladelock offers the most martial damage available to a Gish without arguably sacrificing any casting.
>>
>>50528840
I think I missed that one, can you elaborate?
>>
>>50528803

An excellent use of what you have in your inventory. Though it is a shame to loose it like that. hopefully your master won't be too pissed.
>>
>>50528853

Last two threads people were arguing whether or not a 5ft teleport on a cantrip was comparable to other cantrips lorewise, it was interesting to watch
>>
>>50528853
Somebody posted a cantrip idea that involved a very short range cantrip. There was nothing balance wise wrong with it after revisions, but a bunch of people arbitrarily decided that nope, teleportation was too great a violation of physics to be on a cantrip.

They then proceeded to praise summoning fire from across universes on a cantrip.
>>
>>50528858
My master was dead, so it was as if he was watching over me one final time. Sadly the campaign fell apart and my group moved onto other games.
>>
How would you roll a powder keg of justice paladin finally snapping? Talking stats and buffs.
I know the whole post with it, but isn't the flavor along the lines of the paladin just going full attack and ignoring oath and reason to smite the biggest bad?
>>
>>50528349
I feel like that's a lot of damage, although it doesn't scale as well so it might be fine.

I'd also advise against the actual poisoned condition like >>50528395 suggests. Sickening Ray does that as a first level spell
>>
>>50528886
I'm not looking to revive an argument. Relax.

>>50528875
Thanks family
>>
>>50528926
You wanted a summary, I gave you one. I can't help it if the truth makes one side look retarded.
>>
>>50528889

In that case that was a terrible waste. Who knew what useful information was in there. And wasn't that kind of an important memento?
>>
>>50528851
By the point you're asking your DM in every single conversation to ask your Imp for advice to give you advantage on all the charisma checks, you'll probably be annoying people more than anything. But, eh, it's probably not much worse than saying 'I use guidance' before everything.
Though, you could 'just use friends' as said earlier. Not to mention, you could also just have somebody else in the party with proficiency give you advantage on the check and your imp probably won't be very helpful for anybody but you for granting advantage via help (since it can't communicate telepathically with them. You might be able to get around this as a GOO lock though.)
Guidance might not be as good as advantage when your DM lets you make these help checks, but it's much more generally applicable. You can even use it when you know you'll roll initiative soon for higher initiative, or when you expect somebody will make a sudden, un-helpable spot check sometime soon.

The main point there is 'arguably'. The bladelock WILL sacrifice some casting, because if they go pure bladelock then they're just straight-up suicidal unless they're a mountain dwarf, and that leaves you pretty damn MAD, especially if you want decent Wis too.
I find spellcasting to be better than pact magic, especially when your DM is more likely to have less short rests than more short rests than the book intends.
>>
>>50528252
I always thought Warlocks = Invocations, but then again I always built my chars from the concept up.

Get Devil Sight then the spells Darkness+Hunger of Hadar when u have access to it. Loads of dark dickery. GOO pact to round things up so you can telepathically taunt those you're darkly dicking around with.
>>
>>50529045
I found that lizard folk Dec-bladelocks are pretty good.
>>
> Be a Druid
> Take ritual caster feat
> Unseen servant and Tiny hut
> Lead a perfect NEET life, surviving via good berry and create water, ordering my servant for mundane task and never leave my tiny hut

I think I might have to retire him..
>>
>>50529045
Guidance is on average a 2.5 buff to your roll. Advantage from help is a 3ish. And they stack, so why not both?

Imp help clearly wouldn't need to be roleplayed every conversation, and wouldn't get annoying.
>>
>>50529095
>Lead a perfect NEET life
>D&D
Pick one and only one.
>>
>>50529095
Don't forget, wild shape gives you access to animal waifus who aren't as toxic as human women!

T. R9K
>>
>>50529087
The +1 AC from natural armour is nice and the bonus action attack with a bit of extra temporary HP is nice but if you go for dex to raise your AC your damage output will be kind of pitiful and it would've been better if you had a shield, and if you go strength you'd be better of multiclassing for heavy armour.

Dex bladelocks don't really feel like they're filling a niche. At least PAM ones do, but whether your team needs that niche or not would be the question.

I'd still prefer a regular blastlock as ranged fighting is a great benefit tactically, even if it does a bit less damage.

>>50529129
You might be able to do both if you had a cleric or went tomelock and got find familiar as a ritual from it.
Not sure if the regular familiars have a lot of useful proficiencies, though. They're mostly just animals.

>>50529095
>the king's men march into your swamp
Oh no, you're going to have to have an adventure now.
>>
>>50529149
Or Dryad women who enjoy bestiality!
>>
>>50529149
Every day we stray further from god's light.
That's what I initially though, but the light seems to be getting brighter very fast. It kind of looks like Kossuth. I hope he brings gifts.
>>
>>50529095
That actually sounds fun!

I once made a Druid around the concept of being the camp cook, making sure they forage enough food and if not, then goodberry to the rescue. Becomes a bear primarily to catch salmon for the party.
>>
File: tumblr_odg51nHhqY1t0ubt7o1_1280.jpg (84KB, 799x739px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_odg51nHhqY1t0ubt7o1_1280.jpg
84KB, 799x739px
My DM wants to houserule lewd attacks for monsters that wouldn't completely disadvantage them by making them lose their turn.
I suggested making them Legendary Actions but I'm not sure exactly how to write them down so they don't totally ruin the balance. Anyone has done something like that before?
>>
>>50529181
Conjure woodland being give me 2 dryad.
>>
>>50529175
Warlocks can get guidance with magic initiate. Since a chain lock is the definition of SAD, feats will be common. There is no need to sacrifice chain pets for cantrips.
>>
File: hagrid.jpg (140KB, 1463x732px) Image search: [Google]
hagrid.jpg
140KB, 1463x732px
>>50528655
>Being this mad a niche build is viable
>>
>>50529213
>>50529193
>>50529181
>>50529149
>>>/literallyanywhereelse/
>>
>>50528875
>>50528886
Is that an action? Why would I choose a cantrips that basically disengages me as an action when I can simply just, oh, I don't know, disengage?
Waste if a cantrip.
>>
>>50529226
You my nigga, dawg.
>>
>>50529228
You won't get shillelagh, though. Shillelagh is still nice to have for if you've no choice but to make a melee attack. Say, they reflect rays (pretty damn rare, but I've had it happen) or they simply just have you pinned to a wall and you're not busy escaping.

And, really, I'd rather do something else with that feat. First two/three ASIs to get charisma up (Might be a +1/+1 somewhere to boost dex or con if it's uneven, or a +1 and proficiency in con/dex saves) and then get something else. Not sure what, though, but magic initiate doesn't seem too useful. Heck, even a single level of cleric might be better if you want to grab heavy armour, a shield, some cantrips, knowledge of healing spells and whatever level 1 feature you get.
>>
>>50529301
You can pick both shillelagh and guidance from the druid list.
>>
>>50529322
That's wis-based shillelagh.
Not so useful.
>>
>>50529395
The spells you pick from Magic Initiate use the spellcasting ability of the class list you choose the spell from
>>
>>50528134
>How do you guys play Warlock?
>Do you prefer Blaster, Bladelock, or Tomelock with Shillelagh?
Tomelock is best, but my favourite is bladelock because I'm playing one in my current campaign.
>>
Is there a way to do counterspelling or spell-redirection in 5e?
>>
>>50529447
There is the spell counterspell.

No redirection that I can think of.
>>
>>50529468
Well, technically if you fail the WIS save of sanctuary you have to redirect.
>>
>>50529447
>not being able to find "Counterspell"
>>
>>50528946
It was, but my character was neutral evil and though he did wish to keep it, it wasn't worth dying for and letting those secrets into the hands of a bone naga. If it wasn't for that, we would've died, 100%.
>>
>>50529633

Fair enough. It is true that it does that character no good if their dead. I guess now you just get to lament it.
>>
>>50529447
Some monsters have spell reflection/deflection that can redirect beam spells.

I am sure that there can be a magic item that can do that.
>>
>>50529095
We have a Ranger that's basically living an isolated Druid/Hermit life in our campaign, that has grown tired of people wandering onto his land. My con-man Rogue has coerced him into joining the party by telling him he'll use some of the riches they earn to build a giant wall around his property. He's also "raising funds" to to help rebuild the party's Monk's dojo, which had been burned down by his Flame Ganasi apprentice who is now basically an indentured servant of the monk. So far all we've really managed to accomplish is burning down a church.
>>
Bladesingers get both melee cantrips that take an action, and extra attack. So which the fuck are they supposed to use?

Assuming they have a 1d8 weapon, GFB after 5th level does 2d8+DEX+INT to the primary target, while attacking twice does 2d8+2*DEX. Oh, but the extra attack has a second chance to miss. So, why is it even there?
>>
>>50529880
Maybe the decision which to use is situational and requires some strategic thinking on your part?

Lol no, that isn't in 5e. Use green flame blade in 95%of situations.
>>
>>50529880
>Why is it even there?
1. Monsters with fire resistance or fire immunity
2. Only one monster
>>
>>50529907
>2. Only one monster
Nothing stopping you from using GFB then? Primary target will still take the damage.
>>
>>50529880
You'll find that system mastery this edition is picking the most efficient option at character creation and spamming it to the exclusion of other options for twenty levels.
>>
How imbalanced would a "Turn X" feature be if instead of Turning (forcing them to dash away), the creatures were restrained and incapacitated? Would it be better, worse or equivalent?
>>
>>50529880
Once they get the 'deal more damage on every attack' ability, it might be worth it to use extra attack.

Might also matter if they have to run and gun or if not triggering GFB or booming blade's secondary would do less than simply attacking twice. If a target is low on HP, too.

Bladesinger was a pretty meh design but making gishes in 5e is hard anyway.
BB and GFB end to oscillate in how useful they are. Say, some classes much prefer extra attack at level 5 but then EK much prefers GFB/BB at level 7.

Also, the level 2 ability is already more than enough.
>>
>>50529880
because the authors are dumb
because you don't have to take melee cantrips
because they couldn't think of anything cool so they just went the lazy route
because if you have a magic weapon you can make it do thing twice, maybe
because 1/3 martial class
because that's dnd baby
>>
>>50529989
Given same chance of success and same duration, obviously much better.
Just think about it, if they run, they can just regroup and come back. If they're restrained and incapacitated, you just go slaughter them.
>>
Anyone seen any decent Cleric homebrews? I'm trying to find an alternate Channel Divinity since none of the existing ones fit.
>>
Theory time

I cast spiritual weapon on Rd1
Rd2 I cast Invisibility on myself while the spiritual weapon attacks someone

Does invisibility break?
Making a Lore Bard, so this is important information. (Magic Secrets being Counterspell and Spiritual Weapon)
>>
>>50529989
Probably stronger.

Forcing them to run away is good if they're melee-users and you are prepared to shoot at them, or if you have a lot of strong reaction attacks (rogues or warcaster booming blade for example). If all the enemies run away, it can be a problem if you can't snipe them or they all start dodging. Turning does however prevent melee attackers from fighting for longer, as they have to dash back into combat.

Making them do nothing but making all attacks against them have advantage is better if you can hit the guys you want to kill quickly so you can disregard those who made the saves.

Generally, I'd say most monsters want to be in melee and you won't have strong reaction attacks, or only one or two. You'll also have a mix of melee and ranged. So, even then, it's pretty situational. I'd say restrained is stronger as it's much more reliable - restraining and incapacitating them is more often more useful than making the enemies run away where the turned enemies tend to be a bit harder to hit, and you don't get advantage for attacking them. Turning is slightly better for disposing of goons, though.
>>
>>50530067
Turned ends when they take damage, but yeah. Although the arcana cleric's ability only turns one creature. I'm trying to see how I could make it decent.
>>
rate my party

Strength Monk, way of open hand
Warlock with old one patron
Dex Fighter dual wielding rapiers, Champion
Sorcerer, draconic heritage (RED)
Rogue, arcane trickster with lucky feat, oldest and leader of the group

Currently have them going across the desert
>>
>>50530071
What's your goal?
>>
>>50529989
>>50530086
Ah, right. The simple solution here is to make it so the enemies don't run away at all, but instead sit still.
I think that'd balance out, rather than giving players advantage on them for being restrained.
>>
>>50530067
>>50530086
Oh, shit, sorry, Restrained gives advantage - what I meant to say is, incapacitated and speed 0, but no advantage/disadvantage
>>
Haven't played any tabletop since high school (about 7 years ago). Back then we played 3.5. I have a couple of friends who want to get a game going and I've volunteered to come up with the world and DM the thing.

Is 5e worth playing? 4e was a pile of dogshit but I haven't heard anything about 5e or if its worth playing over 3.5
>>
Pact of the Star Spawn would be better as a pact than as a patron.
>>
>>50530190
Meant Seeker, I get Star Chain confused with it because I'm retarded.

Star Chain should also be a separate pact.
>>
File: vomitgoose.jpg (50KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
vomitgoose.jpg
50KB, 480x270px
>>50530092
>strength on a monk, a monk that doesn't need to grapple because they're open hand no less.
>Dual-wielding rapiers. On a champion.
>Warlock, sorcerer, the lowest tiers of spellcaster
>That one poor rogue who might not be the most optimal person ever but damn they must look like Sportacus right now, trapped in a lazy town of these other faggots who're trying to HAVE FUN ON MY WATCH with SOME OF THE WORST BUILDS IMAGINABLE
Please don't tell me the warlock is going bladelock.
>>
>>50530176
5e is pretty good, has all the same problem that 3.5 had exept for some of the more retarded spell things
>>
>>50530071
>>50530113
I'm >>50529989 . Basically I'm making a domain of binding - imprisoning fiends and outsiders and shit.

So the Arcana domain's Channel Divinity is an okay starting point, but it's kinda silly it makes the target run away. (It's also weak because it only targets one, and the banishment only affects CRs that don't matter, but I don't mind being underpowered as much as not being flavourful).

Maybe something that turns a creature ethereal, incapacitating and making its speed 0, but because it's ethereal it has resistance to all damage, and any damage ends the effect?
>>
tired of small races getting screwed with weapons, time for a feat

Heavy Wielder
Prerequisite: Small size

Increase your strength or dexterity by 1.
You ignore the heavy property of weapons.

strong enough or not strong enough?
>>
>>50530176
>4e was a pile of dogshit
I assume you haven't played it, since you apparently haven't played in 7 years.
It has a lot of bad press.
I mean, it's not wrong, 4e was rather like a freeform MMORPG and had bad points but it wasn't quite as atrocious as it was made out to be. It had some nice concepts going for it and it was probably one of the most balanced D&D games ever.
Would still take 5e over it.

If you want to do high fantasy anime builds then you can go back to pathfinder, but otherwise as long as you aren't looking for every possible thing under the sun 5e is pretty neat.
>>
File: Jojo 3.jpg (232KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jojo 3.jpg
232KB, 1920x1080px
>>50530230
>>50530092
>>
>>50530273
>an entire (half since it gives +1 to dex) feat to allow you to use longbows/heavy crossbows
>essentially gives you +1 per attack or +2 if you crit

As it currently is, it is servicable, but only for dex fighters as they'll make the most of +1 damage per attack and get lots of feats anyway.

Then again, a dex fighter is better off using handcrossbows, so, no. It's not strong enough.

5e is designed like this so you don't get gnomes wielding longbows. Low fantasy.
>>
>>50530273
Yeah sure, why not.
>>
>>50530301
>part 3
>>
File: 20161204134604_1.jpg (257KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20161204134604_1.jpg
257KB, 1920x1080px
Why aren't you playing an all-dwarf party, /5eg/?
>>
>>50530279
We're specifically trying not to go balls out with high fantasy shit.

A couple of my players are into geopolitics and political intrigue and such so we'll probably go that direction.

Right now what I'm planning to do is come up with a map, then plot out realistically where the climate and weather patterns would be and use that to plan out where Lakes, Rivers, Forests, etc would be. From there I can get an idea of where the various races may have come from and migrated, and build culture, history, religion, etc.

This way the setting and backstory feel more organic and not just "YOUR DESTINY TO BE GRAND WARLOCK OF MORGANTHIPLUHAOLLOW" or whatever.
>>
>>50530365
>dwarfs
>>
File: Capture.png (386B, 24x17px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
386B, 24x17px
>>50530365
Because I have an irrational hatred of manlets.
>>
>>50530378
>hates manlets
>is a manling
>>
File: Skull White.png (210KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Skull White.png
210KB, 500x500px
Given the rules for Death Saving Throws, what are the actual odds of living and dying?
>>
>>50530365
The only time I've been in a single race campaign it was an all-elf campaign set during the crown wars.
Fun times.
>>
>>50530365
Because some people like a challenge.

>>50530403
Depends on things such as your level, items, if you have a paladin, bless, etc.
>>
>>50530403
About fifty fifty
>>
>>50530072
spiritual weapon attacks are still your own spell attacks, so yes invis would break.
>>
Channel Divinity: Interplanar Confinement
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to imprison otherworldly creatures.
As an action, you present your holy symbol, and one celestial, elemental, fey, or fiend of your choice that is within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw, provided that the creature can see or hear you. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is imprisoned between planes for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

An imprisoned creature can't move and is incapacitated. It appears as ethereal, and has resistance to all damage.

(or restrained instead of "can't move"? So attacks have advantage, although only deal half damage?)
>>
>>50530403
Absolutely zero with a cleric in the party.

>Suffering internal injuries from being trampled into unconsciousness by a dragon then charbroiled, and clawed.
>Cleric heals a blister on my pinky finger and I'm good to go.
>>
File: what would you do for the phb.jpg (170KB, 1024x606px) Image search: [Google]
what would you do for the phb.jpg
170KB, 1024x606px
>>50530236
>has all the same problem that 3.5 had
Except for
- the magic item conveyor/Christmas Tree Syndrome
- casters overshadowing martials at their jobs
- classes that can't sufficiently do what their fluff says they can
- small exceptions to rules being spread out through books making referencing rules a pain in the ass
- the use of feats from various books on monsters making even the simplest stat block a pain in the ass to use
- hell, just the 3.5e stat blocks in general being shitty and unwieldy
- the books being over 50% trap options that are represented as equivalent to the best options
- splat bloat making character creation and DM arbitration an unruly mess
>>
>>50530072
Raw, probably. Rai, no.
>>
>>50530403
Disregarding all features, spells, party help, and other things that influence rolls or get you right back on your feet:
exactly 50/50
>>
>>50530454
Wait, does any amount of healing instantly bring you to life?
>>
Anon working on that Barbarian "Path of the Blatant Monk Ripoff".

Is there any examples of classes that copy other classes core abilities, rather than specific "schools"? The closes I can think of is EK/Arcane Trickster, but those are more like quarter-classes since they're Martials becoming casters, while this is turning a Martial into an arguably worse Martial.

I'm considering starting from scratch to make it more like existing archetypes than making shit up on my own since it's likely to be questionably balanced if I can't base it off something already existing, (As of now it's based on the UA Theurgy Cleric where it replaces Path abilities with Monk ones.)
>>
>>50530403
http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/76958/what-is-the-probability-of-surviving-my-death-saves

59.5125%
>>
>>50530477
There is no negative HP anymore. Some spells merely stabilize you (you remain at 0 but no longer make saving throws; you regain 1hp and pop back up after 1d4 hours) but anything else that restores even a point of health (not TempHP) will revive you.

So if you have 60 HP and you get smacked by something that deals 110 damage, someone popping a Goodberry in your mouth is good enough to get you on your feet.
>>
Fairly new player here. Playing an Elf Rogue, currently at Level 2. I'm torn between Swashbuckler, Mastermind, and Inquisitive for Level 3. Which of these is best? Once I hit 5 I was thinking of putting 2 levels into either Warlock (for some minor spellcasting and invocations, namely Mask of Many Faces) or 2 into Wizard (for Bladesinger). Which would be better?
>>
>>50530493
>a 20 heals
Oh, I thought it was two successes just like a 1 is an instant failure. That's even better.
>>
Anons? Long story short, I'm adapting a bunch of spells from 4th edition into 5th edition in the near future, and I could use opinions on something:

See, I figured that Swordmage spells work best by making them available to wizard (cuz Bladesinger) and warlock (cuz Blade Pact), but I can't work out what to do about damage.

A lot of Swordmage spells owrk of the "X times Weapon Damage" formula - like, say, stabbing your sword into someone and setting them on fire from the inside out for to inflict 5 times your normal weapon dice in fire damage.

Now would this formula work in 5e, since "you must be holding a weapon" is going to be the material component for these spells anyway, or should I stick to the recommended damage for spells in the DMG?
>>
How do I make nets usable?
>>
>>50530368
5e doesn't lay down a lot of extra specific rules for things, but in a way that means you're free to work out the odds of things on your own basis.

Just remember, bounded accuracy is a big thing. You roll a 1d20 and don't get a big positive, so in a spot check somebody with +10 (quite a fair bit for 5e) can still lose to somebody with +0. However, multiple checks in a row (Say, to craft a sword) means the +10 will almost definitely come out on top.

So, don't expect tonnes of rules. Players will still probably fumble a lot if they don't read the rulebook and even if they do they'll still misunderstand things, but it's a lot more rules-light and allows the DM room to rule things themself.

However, it's also a bit low-fantasy, you can't play certain classes effectively with certain stats (Say, you can't play a wisdom paladin or a strength wizard without beingkindof suboptimal) or use a gnome with a longbow viably or a half-orc wizard viably (I mean, you can still do it, but a gnome would be better for example). But, eh, that only makes sense.

As long as you're not completely stupid, there aren't really any real trap options (Except a very few) compared to, say pathfinder. The balance between the main mages and martials is also better, though a wizard will still expect to have more utility.

Well, whatever. By what you've said it sounds like you should enjoy it.
>>
>>50530437
>>50530445
>>50530454
I'm not sure if I'm being goofed on or if I wasn't clear enough. I meant assuming there were no other influences, just the Death Saves alone.
>>50530475
I'm not so sure that's right.
>>50530493
Thank you.
>>50530553
Could try enchanting them?
>>
>>50529989
>>50530067
>>50530114
What if the CD only affects one creature? What if there's no advantage from being restrained (just can't move)?
>>
>>50530535
Swashbuckler is the easiest to play.
Free Disengage (against a single target, anyway) just for swinging means you can use your bonus action on an off-hand stab in case your first strike missed, ensuring you a better chance at landing your Sneaks without remaining in the danger zone for the enemy's next turn.

You can also run off on your own and Sneak targets because you don't need advantage or a nearby party member to trigger them. It's the Champion of Rogues, but actually good.

You're not going to do anything outside of combat with your archetype features compared to Mastermind and Inquisitive, though.
>>
I want to be a military scout, is scout a good archetype?

pic unrelated
>>
Asking again, because I really need advice on this: How the fuck do I encourage my players to engage in role playing with each other? They roleplay with me (as in with NPCs) just fine, in character and all, but when it comes to interactions with other party members it barely happens at all, and when it does it's usually in third-person descriptions.

We met through roll20, so we're not exactly close friends, but they all seem to get along well with each other.
>>
>>50530570
That all sounds good to me, we'll give that a shot. Thanks mate!
>>
Anyone else think there needs to be a kind of engineer/tinkerer class in d&d? At the moment we have a only one class that uses in intelligence for a main stat, Wizards. Rogues are recommended to put a few points in but only for Arcane Trickster.

If there was a class that made traps, bombs and other such inventions it would mean we had another intelligence class.

Thoughts?
>>
>>50530681
NO
you basic bitch
>>
>>50530644

Start handing out inspiration to people who talk to the other players in-character.
>>
>>50530547
Also, on the homebrew front... I'm doing a lot of homebrew/conversions for a 5e world I'm building up - not for a particular player group, just for my own enjoyment - but I want to make sure the stuff I'm doing is balanced. Can I get feedback on my efforts here?
>>
>>50530535
Mastermind is trumped by an arcane trickster with find familiar, easily.
Swashbuckler is a good choice.

Wizard isn't a bad idea. You can pick up GFB/BB while you're at it.

Warlock seems to be done just for fluff. You gain the most from warlock if you want something such as shillelagh(charisma) at level 3 or simply agonizing blast at level 2, and you won't really get a lot of use out of agonizing blast since it doesn't sneak attack.

Problem is with swashbuckler + bladesinger is you'll want both charisma and intellect as secondary stats. It's not a big deal, but it's a bit of a pain.
>>
>>50530681
At best, ah h a thing could be a subclass of Artificer that makes alchemist's fire more usable, but there shouldn't be an entire class just for go-go-gadget
>>
>>50530716
Yeah
>>
>>50530528
Despite how stupid you are for posting in the dead thread, I'll answer this for you anyway

No.
>>
>>50530681
Artificer wizard archetype from UA Eberron would be more than enough, possibly even add an alchemist wizard archetype and you have every front covered.
>>
>>50530743
Thing is, my work so far is all in GDoc and the races are too big to really post here without taking up huge amounts of posts. Is it okay to just post the Gdoc, or do I need to try and figure out a way to make pdfs and attach them?
>>
>>50530837
You can Download As PDF from Google Docs, then upload it to Google Drive, and share the link to the PDF
>>
File: Capture.png (44KB, 313x76px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
44KB, 313x76px
Lizardfolk Monk who chomps on people instead of punching y/n?
>>
>>50530616
It's just a Fighter with Stealth proficiency and some martial die to make up for your lack of Rogue/Bard Expertise. You have to go Dex and wear lighter armor for it to work.

A good scout is a Monk/Rogue multiclass, Shadow and Thief archetypes, respectively. Rogue is mostly there for the Expertise at level 1, but getting your archetype eventually wouldn't hurt if you like to climb or quickly pick locks. Otherwise, the level 6 feature for Shadow Monks is hilariously good.
>>
>>50530869
Thanks for the tip. I don't know, though... Oh, what the hell, I have to get going, I'll just leave the GDoc link; there's a table of contents, you guys can skip past all the setting fluff, surely?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18nFM82UlkRnSsWOjZYyWRjc-ee8RBCnT0EWlL49N9N0/edit#
>>
>>50530944
Yes.
>>
>>50530944
>you bite the air elemental
>and deal full damage because ki fangs
>>
File: 1478929627706.jpg (167KB, 1280x1195px) Image search: [Google]
1478929627706.jpg
167KB, 1280x1195px
I want a UA beastmaster kobold riding a boar, shit's gonna be rad as fuck
>>
>>50531065
>kobold revised ranger with a deinonychus companion
>>
>>50530594
Thanks for the advise!

>You're not going to do anything outside of combat with your archetype features compared to Mastermind and Inquisitive, though.

That's why I was thinking of going Warlock, to add the free Disguise Self and stuff to give more out of combat use. Or wizard's bladesinger for some enhanced combat ability and a couple spells.

>>50530731
Thanks for the advice, a few questions!

>Mastermind is trumped by an arcane trickster with find familiar, easily.
What makes Find Familiar better than Mastermind? Bonus Action Help and Master of Intrigue seem really useful.

>Warlock seems to be done just for fluff.
The main reason I was interested in the Warlock is free Disguise Self casting.

>Problem is with swashbuckler + bladesinger is you'll want both charisma and intellect as secondary stats. It's not a big deal, but it's a bit of a pain.
I don't think it would be an issue really. My current stats are 8 16 12 15 10 15. I was going to take the ASI at 4 to bump up Intelligence and Charisma to give me a +3 in those, along with a +3 Dex, which I thought would be a well rounded build.
>>
>>50531110
A familiar can use the 'help' action without using any of your actions at all. Essentially free, if you take the hour and 10gp to summon it every time it dies.
Later, the arcane trickster gets the ability to use mage hand to, as a bonus action, help themselves. Which is a pretty big deal if they're using boomingblade/greenflameblade.
And then, arcane trickster gets all the other goodies.
Mastermind doesn't really have enough other stuff to make up for it.

The free disguise self casting is pretty fluff. You might as well go arcane trickster and pick up disguise self, or play a shapechanger or whatever they are from eberron. Going for Mask of Many Faces alone probably isn't worth it when you can easily just do that with level 1 spell slots, unless you really need permanent disguise self to fool your entire party or something.

Rogue still mostly wants dex since that adds not only to AC but to chance to hit /damage. But, eh, if you use two-weapon-fighting then you don't actually care much about dex I guess aside from for AC. The main issue in the end is that your wis and con will suffer, but that's probably not too big a deal for you. Once you put the +1/+1 down you can probably leave int/cha at +3 and +3 and focus dex.
>>
File: 1473085199273.jpg (68KB, 546x667px) Image search: [Google]
1473085199273.jpg
68KB, 546x667px
Does the Undying light´s Radiant soul feature work with Green Flame blade? If so on level 5 it does 1d8 + 1d8 Fire + Chamod to one target and 2x Chamod to one. That seems good
>>
>>50531214
+ Dex or str on main target. Lol missed that
>>
>>50531214
RAW it works that way yeah, but I think it should follow the same rules as the similar wizard and sorcerer features by only applying to one roll.
So it loses 2-5 damage, but it's still pretty op.
>>
Names for a Tempest Domain Cleric? Feeling something nordic and goofy (gf is playing skyrim and it's snowing out now so I'm in the mood)
>>
>>50531353
Cloud-boom
>>
Question: can a lore bard's cutting words nullify natural 20s?
>>
>>50531353
Thunderman
>>
>>50531353
Ceraunos de Bergerac
>>
>>50531353
Mash two or more words together.
http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Language

Playing a Goliath monk named WuldHaal (Whirlwind Hand/Fist)

Or just pick one good word, Krosis (Sorrow) makes a good name for example.
>>
>>50531380
No. A natural 20 on an attack roll is a hit regardless of modifiers.
>>
>>50531353
Karlfric Uvaldson
>>
>>50531353
Hjalti Stormthroat, Disciple of Talos

Talos, hilariously enough, is also a god of Storms and Rebellion in the Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>50528349
It has promise. Too good and too bog-down-the-game to be something you can drop every turn. It's weapon damage+2*mod+1d4 every turn after the first concentrated to a single source. Compare that to the spells it's modeled after, which not only deal less damage, but one spreads the damage thin and another likely won't even deal its damage at all.

Scaling poorly is, and this is my opinion alone, the weakest balance justification, since something only super good for 3 levels is only going to be used for 3 levels anyway, before you ditch it to trade being OP now for being equal later.

I'm also not a fan of spells that are just damage at the cost of interesting mechanics, so I may be biased.
>>
>>50531380

>>50530758
>>
>>50528503
I wish I could get other people to DM. A lot of my players want to (and the others claim they do) but they all get cold feet because when someone else DMs the other players tear them to pieces.
>>
File: 14764706470.jpg (97KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
14764706470.jpg
97KB, 1366x768px
>>50531481
>New to D&D, decide to play a Paladin of Talos
>Loosely based on the Einherjar, because Viking fanboy
>His initiation was being killed in a ritual fight to the death against other paladin novices and then the ones deemed to have died well were resurrected by a cleric
>Principle way of honoring his god was to do whatever he believed Talos would find most entertaining at any given time
>Generally this involved petty vandalism, barging into taverns and headbutting the largest person in there and leeroy jenkinsing during any and all encounters

Most fun character I've ever played
>>
So I'm working on setting up by first game as GM.
I wanted the first quest to be the players being sent to hunt down some kobolds being led by a Crimson Drake (From tome of beasts.)
The one issue I have is that the Crimson Drake seems really overpowered for a cr1 creature.
it could pretty easily wipe a level one or even two party from what I can tell.

Here's the stat block, any ideas on how I could nerf it to make it work?

CRIMSON DRAKE
Tiny dragon, chaotic evil
Armor Class 14 (natural armor)
Hit Points 54 (12d4 + 24)
Speed 15 ft., fly 80 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
10 (+0) 14 (+2) 14 (+2) 8 (–1) 9 (–1) 14 (+2)
Saving Throws Dex +4
Skills Acrobatics +4, Perception +1
Damage Immunities fire
Condition Immunities paralyzed, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Common, Draconic, telepathy 60 ft.
Challenge 1 (200 XP)
Magic Resistance. The drake has advantage on saving throws
against spells and other magical effects.
ACTIONS
Multiattack. The crimson drake makes one bite attack and one
stinger attack.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit:
5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage plus 4 (1d8) fire damage.
Stinger. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage, and the target must succeed
on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned for
1 hour. If the saving throw fails by 5 or more, the target takes
2 (1d4) poison damage at the start of each of its turns for 3
rounds. The target may repeat the saving throw at the end of
its turn to end the effect early.
Breath Weapon (Recharge 6). The drake exhales fire in a
15-ft. cone. Each target in that cone takes 18 (4d8) fire
damage, or half damage with a success
>>
>>50531842
The easiest way to nerf a creature as a DM is to play said creature like it's an idiot.

Goblins tripping over each other or being distracted by shinies, or a Drake that's too arrogant to consider using tactics besides standing around looking cool.
>>
>>50531212
I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks!
>>
>>50531842
Well, removing multiattack will do a lot to weakening it mechanically and is fairly simple.
Still potentially dangerous to a person and if it's just that thing vs the party it could be boring (and over fairly quickly). Kobolds will make the fight more dangerous (and interesting). Then as the other guy says, it can play dumb/arrogant.
>>
>>50530553
Throw it at him not me.
>>
Do these seem like balanced options?

>Channel Divinity: Dampen Energies
>Starting at 6th level, when you or a creature within 30 feet of you takes necrotic, radiant or force damage, you can use your reaction to grant resistance to the creature against that instance of the damage. (Nature's, but different types)

>Channel Divinity: Divine Resistance
>At 6th level, when a creature within 30 feet of you makes a saving throw (other than a death saving throw), you can use your reaction to grant that creature a +10 bonus to the roll, using your Channel Divinity. You make this choice before you see the roll. (War's, except to a saving throw instead of attack roll - reduce the bonus?)
>>
>>50532014
Err, fuck, I made a mistake, the first one isn't a Channel Divinity, just something you can do at will using your reaction
>>
What are some interesting encounters players could face exploring a subterranean factory of a machine worshipping xult?
>>
>>50532102
Xobots
>>
>>50532102
Cult*
>>
>>50532118
>>50532102
How the fuck did you even do that? X and C are nowhere near each other.
>>
File: 1478733823170.gif (803KB, 309x236px) Image search: [Google]
1478733823170.gif
803KB, 309x236px
>>50532102
>>50532144
Xult sounds metal as fuck dood
>>
>>50532144
They're right next to each other on the keyboard guckwad
>>
File: DSC_0032.jpg (328KB, 2592x1241px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0032.jpg
328KB, 2592x1241px
>>50532183
In what backward-ass third world country?
>>
>>50532144
Are you some sort of 19th century fucksm'n who's never seen a QWERTY keyboard?
>>
File: xandc.png (227KB, 449x353px) Image search: [Google]
xandc.png
227KB, 449x353px
>>50532144
It's been a while since I've eaten bait this obvious
>>
File: 1 (YOU).jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1 (YOU).jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>50532196
>UNICOMP
>calling other people backward
>>
>>50531886
>>50531842
Thanks guys, those are some good points, it is just 8 int so that could make sense.
It probably considers itself an actual dragon and acts like it even though it's tiny.
>>
>>50532245
Is it a wizard?
>>
>>50532196
What post-soviet shitsack of a country do you live in that you use a Dvorak keyboard, comrade?
>>
>>50532231
woah woah woah hold up
are you talking trash about a model m
>>
>>50532302
Dishonor on:
You
Your Keyboard
Your Family
The entire State of Kentucky
>>
>>50532258
No it's a druid, to make use of that 9 wis.
>>
>>50532341
>The entire State of Kentucky
eh, they wont notice.
>>
>>50532341
I don't think Kentucky needs any help dishonoring themselves.
>>
>>50532341
>Implying Kentucky ever had honour
>>
>>50532302
>Shitty DVORAK imitation of the model m from Kentucky
Damn straight I'm talking trash
>>
>>50532398
No one in Kentucky has an IQ high enough to use a keyboard OR pronounce Dvorak. Kentucky's so fucking stupid, their idea of "safe sex" is putting warning signs on the animals that kick.
>>
>>50532429
Which D&D setting is Kentucky in?
>>
>>50532483
Greyhawk.
>>
>>50532483
Ravenloft. Trust me, I have family up there.
>>
>>50530072
>Does invisibility break?

Yes. Invisibility breaks when you cast a spell or make an attack

While it won't break invisibility to have Spiritual Weapon Out, making a melee spell attack with it however, certainly will
>>
>>50532578
Which is stupid. The weapon is completely separate from the invisible cleric. This would be like a warlock making an attack breaking is imp familiar's invisibility. So definitely not rai.
>>
>>50532616
>familiar has its own initiative and (re)actions
>spiritual weapon requires your conscious input via magical bullshit to move and attack, which also uses your bonus action, and it cannot make reactions
>>
>>50532616
The attack with the weapon is still an attack action made by the cleric. It's completely incomparable to a Warlock's familiar.
How stupid are you that you thought those were similar situations?
>>
>>50532703
The spiritual weapon is completely separated spatially from the cleric, and using it a second time has no stated verbal components to give away your position.
>>
>>50532726

but it counts as performing a magical act.

Casting any spell, even non-concentration spells, breaks invisibility
>>
>>50532726
It's still the cleric making an attack, and making an attack breaks invisibility.
>>
>>50532776
You aren't casting a spell with the subsequent attacks.
>>
>>50532786
See
>>50532616
I agree that you are right raw, but not rai.
>>
>>50530644
Any other suggestions?
>>
Hey look it's that really shitty Barbarian/Monk homebrew in .pdf form!

Thoughts? I think I should try to change some of the stuff so it goes off WIS so it's not a purely STR/CON character. As of now I feel it's still too strong to be allowed by any reasonable DM.
>>
>>50532809
I'd say it is RAI because the whole point of invisibility is to sneak around and NOT attack, that's what greater invisibility is for.
>>
>>50532809
What does RAW and RAI mean? I am stupid sorry
>>
File: 07-V-Trigger-2.jpg (317KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
07-V-Trigger-2.jpg
317KB, 1280x720px
>>50532912
A good example for this class would be Necalli from Street Fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzrPqNHB1bo
>>
>>50532955
Rules As Written
Rules As Intended
>>
>>50532955

Rules as Written or Intended
>>
>>50532937 and again, rai, the cleric isn't attacking. Its spiritual weapon is.
>>
>>50533001
The cleric is attacking with the spiritual weapon
How hard is this for you to understand
>>
>>50532955
>>50532973
>>50532979
An example:

RAW, you could use War Caster with Polearm Master to blast people who get within 10 feet of you with an invocationd up Eldritch Blast since, RAW, War Caster says "any movement opportunity attack" and Polearm Master says "When an enemy moves into range".

RAI, the Polearm Master feat is supposed to only be used with that Polearm.
>>
>>50533001
The cleric is making an attack with their bonus action using a weapon they control. Rules As Intended for the invisibility spell make it useful for being invisible and sneaking around, but NOT for attacking while invisible. If they wanted you to attack while invisible without greater invisibility, why even bother having separate spells?
>>
What you boys expecting for Fighter tomorrow?

I want a Warlord, some sort of more skills-focused archetype that gets expertise, and maybe an archetype that gets pact-magic and an invocation or two
>>
>>50533001
>the spiritual weapon which is not a targetable creature, has no initiative, and has no actions
>is attacking

>while the Cleric stands over there using a bonus action FOR NO APPARENT REASON
>>
Do I need to two-hand my quarterstaff in order for it to get PAM benefits?

I'm a halberd-wielding Pally and it'd be nice to be able to swap to shield and quarterstaff when I need to do some tanking
>>
>>50533039
I'm expecting a Fey Knight/druidic 1/3 caster, and some other new archetype that uses Superiority Dice.
>>
>>50533043
If the spiritual weapon spell said the cleric had to order it to do something verbally, I could understand. But as it is described, it's mostly a telepathic link, which shouldn't break invisibility.
>>
File: skeletonsoup.gif (3MB, 400x242px) Image search: [Google]
skeletonsoup.gif
3MB, 400x242px
>>50533039
Three piles of dogshit that all feature 2-3 uses of Combat Superiority die in forms that are even more restrictive than existing Battlemaster maneuvers, wrapped up with different entry features and ribbons.

One of them is a sassy bravo who dual-wields and has features that only work in light armor! He specializes in panache-filled combat... by rolling a superiority die and adding it to his AB or Deception checks!

One of them specializes in hunting fey... by rolling a superiority die and adding the result to saving throws to resist mind-affecting spells!

The last one specializes in hunting the undead... by rolling a superiority die and adding the result to his damage against undead! BUT IT'S RADIANT DAMAGE, WOAAAH! He can also Detect Undead by spending superiority die! Look out!

screenshot this
>>
>>50533085
>As a bonus action on your turn, you can move the weapon up to 20 feet and repeat the attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.

You need to use your bonus action to make the attack. It's literally the cleric attacking with the weapon, which breaks invisibility RAW and RAI.
>>
>>50533079
>some other new archetype that uses Superiority Dice.

we already have like three fighter archetypes from various UAs that do that shit

WoTC isn't that lazy, right?

in reality we'll def get another archetype that uses superiority dice, and an undead-hunting archetype
>>
>>50533101
>screenshot this

No, fuck off
>>
>>50533107
>archetype that uses superiority dice, and an undead-hunting archetype

>AND
oh you sweet summer child
>>
>>50533107
We already have the Monster Hunter from the Gothic Heroes UA, which does include anti-undead features.
>>
File: 1433053399518.jpg (936KB, 1926x1541px) Image search: [Google]
1433053399518.jpg
936KB, 1926x1541px
New Lizardfolk character rules in the Volo monster guide.
Are Lizardfolk easy to roleplay? Will it get boring fast?
>>
>>50533122
My uncle works for Wizards
>>
>>50533143
They could be a challenge to roleplay, but they're also inherently different enough to be pretty fun.
>>
>>50533143
Depends on how easily you can tap into your own primal lizard brain.
>>
>>50533101
Accurate.
>>
>>50533143
provided that you already have a decent foundation in roleplaying they should be just as easy as the other monstrous races
>>
>>50533106
No, its a floating spiritual weapon making the attack, being telepathically ordered to do so. The spell could have, and probably should have been written the weapon makes the attack but uses your spell attack roll. I suspect the reason it wasn't was simplicity and laziness.
>>
>>50533039
Some kind of dedicated archer wouldn't surprise me.
>>
>>50533101
>BUT IT'S RADIANT DAMAGE, WOAAAH
>>implying
it'll be necrotic
>>
>>50533101
i'm as mad as you are with the current UA fighters, but I doubt they'll make another c&p of battlemaster
>>
>>50533039
All I want is the freaking Mystic to come out already. But no, it had to get delayed.
>>
>>50533197
>Clerics don't kill people, Spiritual Weapons kill people
>>
>>50533150
we believe you
>>
>>50533199
>it will strictly be worse than a Battlemaster
Our Battlemaster Archer chumped the cultists' champion in solo combat by walking backwards in a circle and firing 15 foot knockback arrows as needed every round so the enemy could never catch up and do anything but throw rocks
>>
>>50533197
>it's a floating spiritual weapon making the attack
Only if the weapon has its own action to do so.

Oh wait, it's the cleric that has to take a bonus action to make the attack. Meaning the cleric is the one making the attack.

Are you going to keep being wrong about this?
>>
>>50533219
All Fighter archetypes (shit, all non-magical [read: not paladins and rangers] martials) should get CSD and Battlemasters should be turned into Battleminds.

There. I fixed 5E.
>>
>>50533199
>dedicated Archer
>it get superiority dice for archery stuff
>just a straight up worse battlemaster

yep this will happen

>>50533226
They're going in alphabetical order, after Monk gets it's UA we'll see Mystic Take 3
>>
>>50533197
dude if you rule at your table that SW doesn't break invis, that's your prerogative. just stop writing off your rulings as truth
>>
>>50533257
I'm the dm, I'm right.
>>
>>50533243
Ranged combat is underrated.

I have no idea why anyone would take bladelock over repelling blast.
>>
>>50533273
??? I've already admitted I'm wrong by raw, just not raw by rai.
>>
>>50533272
Mearls confirmed on twitter that UA mystic v3 got pushed back to next year.
>>
>>50533272
>They're going in alphabetical order, after Monk gets it's UA we'll see Mystic Take 3
It got pushed back further because reasons. https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/805278241804066817
>>
>>50533272
Nope. Mears tweeted that it was delayed.
>https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/805278241804066817
>>
>>50533276
There it is, the last line of defense for someone who knows they're wrong.
>but it's ok at my table!
Congrats, but you can stop pretending you're not changing the mechanic by doing so.
>>
File: enhanced-28847-1439410778-5.png (406KB, 486x367px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-28847-1439410778-5.png
406KB, 486x367px
>>50533293
>>50533300
>>50533301
soft ree

I don't really give a shit about psionics any way so whatev
>>
>>50533292
and i'm assuming you work at wizards and have a close relationship with the designers?
>>
>>50532973
>>50533034

>>
>>50533290
>playing SKT
>our Ranger is kicking all sorts of ass with Sharpshooter early on
>he decides he's not having fun and wants to play a Warlock again
>hell, that's even better
>he picks Bladelock
We're having a session in half an hour and he's gonna lose 60% of his HP in one hit again, I guarantee.
>>
>>50533306
>A completely spatially separated weapon makes an attack and this reveals invisibility of the cleric in another room peaking through the door.

Nah, that's retarded.
>>
>>50533318
Do you? My dad works at Nintendo if that helps.
>>
>>50533340
>>A completely spatially separated FIREBALL makes an attack and this reveals invisibility of the cleric in another room peaking through the door.

Makes sense to me.
>>
>>50533340
How many times do you have to be told this to understand

THE CLERIC IS MAKING THE ATTACK WITH THE WEAPON. If the weapon were attacking on its own, it would have its own action to do so.
The cleric has to use their bonus action to attack with the weapon. The spatial separation has absolutely nothing to do with it.

No meme, are you legitimately autistic? What do you not understand about this?
>>
How many arrows fit in a Quiver? 20?
>>
>>50533407
>keeping track of ammo
No one gives a shit about the much rarer and more expensive crap that sits in a component pouch so leave the fucking bowfaggots alone.
>>
Hey guys, I want to make a Shadowfell-inspired sub-class for a spellcaster; either Warlock or Sorceror. What kind of things do you think would be thematic or appropriate, and which class do you think would be better suited? (Assume other members of the race are largely Monks)
>>
>>50533379
The fireball is casted. The act of casting it breaks invisibility. But in this example, spiritual weapon is already casted. Casting spiritual weapon would break invisibility.

>>50533386
See
>>50533197
Do you have trouble reading? The bonus action is just to keep the spell from breaking action economy, not the cleric actually doing anything that would reveal it.
>>
>>50533425
>No one gives a shit about the much rarer and more expensive crap that sits in a component pouch
they have in the games I've played

do you know or not?
>>
File: Capture.png (15KB, 270x23px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
15KB, 270x23px
>>50533407
Nobody knows. If only it were written down somewhere.
>>
>>50533460
sorry, I was looking on the cost page. not really awake.
>>
>>50533437
>The bonus action is just to keep the spell from breaking action economy
MEANWHILE
>Conjure _________ spells
>>
>>50533437
>not the cleric actually doing anything that would reveal it

...except attacking with it.
It's pretty ironic that you would ask someone else if they had trouble reading.
>>
>>50533483
You really do have reading trouble.

Take it slow anon. Sounds out the letters.
>>50533197
>>
>>50533476
Conjure spells are all concentration. Spiritual weapon is not.
>>
Would Tavern Brawler be any good for a strong (Not necessarily STR based just not dump stat) Monk? I hear Monk is kinda reliant on getting as many ASIs as possible.
>>
File: 1474786119103.jpg (71KB, 581x542px) Image search: [Google]
1474786119103.jpg
71KB, 581x542px
>>50533334
Be sure to report back on his failures.

I bet he isn't even PAM + multiclassed, is going to have shite armour and shite attacks.
>>
File: spiritweaponattack.png (127KB, 569x91px) Image search: [Google]
spiritweaponattack.png
127KB, 569x91px
>>50533508
You can stop pointing back to a post that is objectively wrong

Do you know what "repeat the attack" means or do you need us to explain it to you?
>>
>>50533561
Not really? Your bonus action is better spent punching shit, your unarmed strikes already deal more damage than improvised weapons, and you're not that great at grappling anyway.
>>
>>50533446
its 20
ignore the faggot
but yeah keeping track of ammo is a pain in the ass imo
>>
>>50533561
There's not a single thing that helps you.
>unarmed strikes are d4
Great?
>you can grapple as a bonus action if you hit with an unarmed strike
But your unarmed strike is already your bonus action? And if you use it as a normal attack, why didn't you just replace your normal attack with a grapple?
>1 str or con
This is neither dex or wis.
>you are proficient with improvised weapons and unarmed strikes
Just great.

Not to mention, monks are some of the worst grapplers.
>>
>>50533667
>And if you use it as a normal attack, why didn't you just replace your normal attack with a grapple?

Don't you only get your Unarmed bonus attack if you make an unarmed attack that turn?

Either way it becomes pointless at 5 when you get an extra attack.
>>
>>50533573
>>50533508
why argue about such miniscule shit lmfao
>>
>>50532102
chamber full of acolytes that have attempted to graft mechanical weaponry into their bodies. They are flawed, faulty and likely to fall off the first time a cultist hits or is hit, to devastating effect.
>>
>>50533704
Whether or not something breaks invisibility isn't miniscule
>>
>>50533665
I think my DM will want to, so I'm just trying to prepare what I can carry in case it becomes an issue.
>>
>>50533725
well by RAW it breaks invisibility but the dude disagrees with you so thats that
agree to disagree why argue over make believe
>>
File: 1475766116115.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1475766116115.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>50530480
>>
>>50533784
>why argue over make believe
This is /tg/
>>
>>50533750
you can carry as many as you want really
but you can only keep 20 in a quiver at one time
so if you shoot 20 during one encounter you will probably have to spend a turn or something reloading your quiver with arrows from your backpack if your DM is that anal about it
>>
File: 1451546005888.jpg (40KB, 639x628px) Image search: [Google]
1451546005888.jpg
40KB, 639x628px
>>50533784
>why argue over make believe
>>
>>50533699
"When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action."

"When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it, you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack, a grapple. If you're able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them."

Yeah. I was hoping there'd be some way I could skew it since a grapple is technically taking the attack action, but in the end you're not using an unarmed strike or monk weapon.
Oddly, I believe at level 5 if you 'could' make two grapples then you'd still technically be able to use your bonus action to unarmed strike, as you've taken the attack action with a monk weapon or unarmed strike and then replaced the attacks.
>>
>session starting now
>roll20 is ten kinds of fucked up, character sheets aren't loading
h-help
>>
>>50533437
>The act of casting it breaks invisibility.

How is it any different than shooting an arrow?
>>
>>50534030
This happened to me yesterday. I had to clear my cache.
>>
>>50534030
Use Myth Weavers for character sheets
>>
>>50534055
>>50534049
It's happening for all six people involved. It seems like it's a problem on Roll20's end. Even the the module creature stats are blowing up and not loading.
>>
>>50532912
The only thing that pops out to me is giving them a better version of Bear Totem's level 3 ability.

Other than that this gives way too much shit per level tier. 5 different things at level 3? Really nigger? Getting shit at every level is Monks thing, making Barbarian get pretty much all their shit with no drawbacks is just dumb.

Maybe make it something like "at level 3 pick 2 or 3 things".
>>
>>50529905
>>50529982
>>50530052
Alternately, you could fuck off back to Pathfinder and spend seven months plotting out the course of your special snowflake character using jank acquired from 3rd Party Products you badgered your DM into letting you used.
>>
So what I don't really like about the Sorcerer is that it is very hard or in some cases almost impossible to make one focusing on a single element. For example the Sorc spelllist just doesn't offer enough Acid spells to make a Black Dragon Sorcerer who primarily uses Acid spells.

Would it be too much if I allowed Sorcerers to take different version of spells that just deal the type of damage that would fit them? In the case of the Black Dragon Sorcerer this could for example mean that he would be allowed to take the Fireball (Acidball) spell that is just like the normal fireball but deals acid damage instead. This would of course apply for all spells that deal fire, cold, acid, thunder, lighting or poisen damage.
>>
>>50534101
So change "Starting at 6th level, while raging you take half damage from all sources if holding no weapons or shield"

to something like

"Starting at 6th level, while raging you take half
damage from Fire, Frost, and Lightning if holding no weapons or
shield"

Would that be better? Or should I just scrap the extra resistance for something else altogether since this Path can afford to pump CON more than other classes and should have more HP anyways?
>>
>>50534167
Refluff spells. Firebolt can be any element/
>>
>>50534184
Yes that is the intend. But I'm unsure if this would be too good.
>>
>>50534184
No it can't, each damage type gets one cantrip that all act differently.

Firebolt is straight up max damage and elemental efect (catch fire), Chill Touch has additional necrotic effects over healing and undead, Thunderwave is close range but more dangerous, etc.
>>
>>50534118
>Criticizing 5e means your can fuck off to pf

Nice attitude!
>>
>>50534197
As long as you maintain the stats it's fine. Swapping damage types wont break the game
unless you do it before every fight.

>>50534202
You absolutely can. You are choosing not to and then complaining about it.
>>
>>50534167
Acid is stronger than fire in general.

However, since they're already slightly gimping themselves for going sorcerer, I'd allow them to as part of being a sorcerer to turn fire spells into acid spells.
>>
>>50534205
this is why pathfinder won
>>
File: roll20 q3 2016.png (182KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
roll20 q3 2016.png
182KB, 500x731px
>>50534263
>implying
>>
>>50534238
I'm still thinking about this. There would be two options then:

First would be that any Sorcerer subclass can choose what type of damage the spells they take will deal (can't be changed) regardless of the subclass.

The option would be to only allow certain Sorcerer subclasses to change the spells damage type to the one they are associated with. So Dragon Sorcs can change the type to the one from the dragon they chose, or Storm Sorcerer can change the type to lightning or thunder damage. But this would mean that Wild Sorcerers, Shadow Sorcerers and potential new ones are left behind.
>>
>>50534317
The last paragraph should be saying
>The OTHER option would be to only allow...
>>
What's the best way to get people to look over homebrews to see if it's balanced?

I guess emailing it to someone like Mearls would be ideal but I doubt they'd even take a look at it, and if they did they'd think it was from a retarded kid or something.
>>
>>50534343
Post it on the 5e forums of RPG forums like GitP, on appropriate subreddits like r/unearthedarcana, or here.
>>
>>50534391
>>50534391
>>50534391

NEW THREAD
>>
>>50534363
I've posted it here a few times but never got any traction and don't want to be that guy that posts his shitty homebrew every thread. I'll probably plug it once in the next thread and maybe one other time and that'll be it if there's no interest.

I'll look into the other options though, thanks friendo.
>>
>>50533808
one DM I had would make an archer roll die to see how many arrows were damaged if they weren't carried in a quiver, is that common? I don't think my new DM will since he's a good guy.
>>
>>50534770
That DM sounds like the fucking worst.
>>
>>50534782
Well, I mentioned a few things he did on here in the past and everyone said I should quit every so I did. Just a little twitchy from the experience, since he was my intro to D&D.
>>
>>50534301
>Roll20
>>
>>50533039
Wrassler
>>
>>50528252
So what builds would be best suited for this of Dr. Facilier/Dr. Faust style warlock?
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.