[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 403
Thread images: 26

File: Elemental_Planes.jpg (196KB, 562x450px) Image search: [Google]
Elemental_Planes.jpg
196KB, 562x450px
>Latest News
Druid UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread >>50502213

Have you ever run or played in an adventure that took place mostly (or entirely) in a different plane?
>>
new player here

would a level one fighter, adding up the +3 from 16 dex, +2 from the archery fighting style and +2 from the proficiency bonus have a +7 to hit?

that seems like a lot
>>
File: hugbear.png (757KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hugbear.png
757KB, 1600x1200px
We charmed a bugbear, had an impromptu doggy funeral, and hugbeared it out.
>>
>>50509014
Yes. And it is. But it's OK. Have fun hunting.
>>
>>50509014
It is a lot. It won't go up that fast, though.
>>
>>50509014

Yes, it is. They get to be super accurate snipers, enjoy.
>>
What significant differences have you portrayed between hill and mountain dwarfs?
>>
>>50509156
Hill dwarves are the public face of the dwarven nation of Gandoone, given where they live and mountain dwarves only tendencies for isolation and secrecy. If you cut out most of the Scottish stereotypes that you get with dwarves while leaving the Jewish stereotypes for their deep-dwelling brethren, you get the hill dwarves. They're amenable folks who live relatively simple lives out of their dugout sod houses and are also who handle all of the trading and bartering of dwarven goods with the outside world.

The average person might still think of seeing a mountain dwarf as a special event unless they live in particularly large cities where there's a local dwarven presence, and even then it's never a common sight. Hill dwarves, however, are far more common and far more outgoing.

There's a reason that mountain dwarves are so reclusive, though. Dwarves were originally crafted out of stone and metal by the giants' Titan lords. The slaves rebelled in the dawn of the world, and they managed to overthrow their masters. However, while the giants themselves were easily slain, their Titan god-kings were too powerful to be slain, and thus in an act of vindictive irony, the dwarves imprisoned these elemental lords deep in the bowels of the earth. Mountain dwarves maintain these vaults to this very day, safeguarding the prisons that hold their creators in chained torpor.
>>
>>50509383
I love your take on that.

Any other aspect of your world building you'd like to share? Elves or any human realms?
>>
Bread anon here
I can't report on the next session at all
My dm and close friend passed away last night
I'm taking up doing dming for our group from now on (I'll be running some by the books stuff to get started)
Any suggestions
I'm a fucking mess right now
We've been bros for 18 years
He died in his fucking room
We didn't find him till the next day
Fuck this shit
Fuck
>>
>>50509472
i like how you guys already secured the DMing spot like it's a priority

how did he die tho
>>
>>50509022
fucking weird to see this when I just finished DMing a game in that exact area, and the wizard wouldn't stop hugging the dead bugbear for some reason.
>>
>>50509478
Heart failure at 21 years
Me and the other roommates didn't know he died till his mom showed up for his doctors appoingment.
She found hem bent over on his desk
Dead as a doornail
I was asked by the rest of the group to take up the mantle of dm
>>
>>50509472
>Any suggestions
Lost Mine of Phandelver is easy to run but a lot of people have already played it. You could use it for some ideas.Alternatively do something a bit more heroic fantasy and light-hearted to start with, something as simple as "the princess was kidnapped by a dragon and only you can rescue her."

I'm sure no one will blame you if you can't DM right away, though.
>>
>>50509413
Sure. The setting itself is a Wild Western Fantasy game that's set a hundred years after the discovery of a continent to the West and roughly a quarter of a century after a particularly violent war between the two major human nations. Lorne was a simple theocracy whose lives were defined by their devotion to the King of Life, a nature-sun god who was said to live in a holy mountain in the center of the state. Carska next door had long been an ally, a magocracy whose citizens were sharply divided between the magisters at the top and lowborn, magicless individuals at the bottom.

Less than a century ago, Carskan magisters managed to create a device that allowed them to exploit the power found in nepenthite, a mineral believes to be crystalline mana. This revolutionized things in Carska, as the College of Artifice quickly began to use the remarkable power source to drive a wave of magitech innovation that quickly led to the magisters looking for additional sources of nepenthite. Diviners found that the King's Mount in neighboring Lorne was practically one massive lode of the stuff, and the assholes at the Colleges of War and Business began to forment false-flag terrorism on the Lornish side of their border, using it to make the case for invasion under the guise of a peace-keeping force.

The result five year war is known by Carskans as the Unification Crisis and by Lornishmen as the War of Carskan Aggression. It was a violent, nightmarish war in which the various Colleges bid for contracts with the College of War to turn the battlefield into a laboratory. The Peacemakers -- artificial soldiers with a roughly humanoid look, designed to be emotionless soldiers and vigilant peacekeepers -- first appeared on the fields of Lorne, and the College of Medicine's experimentation with prisoners of war led to some rather grisly creations. In the end, the rural farmers could do little to stop their industrial neighbors, and Lorne forcibly to kneel.
>>
>>50509472
I'm sorry for your loss, bread anon. My suggestion is to take a day for yourself before getting full-swing into the DMing. Get some food you really enjoy. Drink, within reason. Whatever you gotta do to get yourself to a surface-level normal.
>>
>>50509519
The Treaty of Rathnagan formally made Lorne a Protectorate of the nascent Carskan empire which soon began muscling control of much of the Old World. Now, having your most sacred mountain strip-mined to fuel your conquerer's arcane lamps doesn't tend to go over well with most people, and thus the resettlement programs began. Rather than deal with more guerilla resistance than they still have to deal with, they shipped the firebrands and revolutionaries across the ocean to the untamed west.

Given relatively little direction and even fewer supplies, the refugees struggled in the new world. The Lornish people are a hardy lot, however, and while the first few years could have led to disaster, instead a growing, tightly-knit state began to grow along the Bainne River. The West, however, was not an empty land, and Lornishmen quickly came into contact with the native peoples. Conflict with the People of the Boar was quick and vicious, though they found hesitant allies and friends among the People of the Owl. Twelve years ago under increased strain with the growing Carskan territory of Sonaugh, the Treaty of Five Nations was signed in the capital of Bainnesborough, formally bringing four of the largest tribes of the Owls into a single, unified state. Today, Bainiter is a quaint frontier land dotted with homesteads and villages that exist as tightly-knit communities, bound together by mutual needs and faith in the King of Life.
>>
>>50509567
As far as Carska, well, it wasn't long before prospectors began to report back of substantial deposits of nepenthite in the West. And as such, Carskan turns it attention to what it had simply passed off as useless frontier and began to settle the arid badlands along the Fodina River and the Greaty Stony mountains. Mining towns sprang up overnight, as a network of railways began to link together the growing territory. People flooded from crowded Carskan cities to the West, for a variety of differing reasons. Disillusioned veterans whose patriotism had soured at the sight of the atrocities they'd committed, the struggling poor seeking a fortune and their own land in a distant wilderness, and scheming entrepreneurs looking for a massive windfall at the expense of anyone else; all of these and more hired passage to the West, watched over by the often-corrupt Carskan Territorial Authority.

There are plenty of other cultures back West that have also made themselves known in lesser amounts in the West. Sprawling along the southern rim of the Sea of Ancients, Marifah is a network of city-states and desert nomads. From the seedy pirate-towns along the Cape of Kahtan -- often hired by Carskan magisters as privateers -- to the ancient temple-fortresses of the dragon-worshipers whose lords are said to gain their patrons scales and killing breath, Marifah has no true leader. Instead, it has a twisted network of alliances and agreements between the city-states tie them together into a cohesive unit, however, and any attempts of aggression towards one quickly draw the animosity of others.

>tl;dr Fantasy setting set post-!Civil War with elves, goblins, and orcs taking the place of Indians while Confederate Mormons and Nazi Victorians struggle to survive in a brand new world. Games never have and never will take part in the Old World.
>>
Odd question, would it be considered reasonable for a devil to have antipathy towards a demonic weapon? I mean, devils are LE, but they're still Lawful.
>>
>>50509982

Of course. Standard lore dictates Devils and Demons horrible enemies/rivals
>>
>>50510091
I mean more along the lines of a Detect Evil sort of effect, where they can 'smell' the taint of Chaos.
I suppose you mean that as well, but the party is carrying one they know is powerfully evil and they haven't figured out a way to safely destroy it yet.
>>
>>50508939
I hope if we ever get a 5e inner planes book, they make them work as implied by this picture, with the regions "near" the material plane seeming almost normal, but getting weirder as you go "deeper" in.
>>
I decided to try my hand at my own Homebrew of a Monk/Barbarian.

>Path of the Fist (Name pending)

Fluff bits-

>Those who follow the path of the fist have undergone strict meditation which honed their rage into a highly focused state and use it to their advantage even while not raging, ignoring weapons which can break or be lost and choosing instead to fight with their own body and the surroundings as their weapon. This approach to fighting is akin to the Monks of other cultures; Barbarians who follow the Way of the Fist however are often self taught, meditating alone in the wilderness and hunting game with nothing but their own hands, and as such lack the formal training to use Ki strikes and instead fight with the vicious ferocity of a wild animal, making up for the disciplined and precise approach to combat used by Monks with a wild, unpredictable fighting style and brute force.

The goal being making a proper beefy brawler who's benefits exist even without Rage.

I feel it might be too strong as it is now, so any feedback is welcome since I've never tried making a full class archetype homebrew.

Cont, obviously.
>>
>>50510237
3RD LEVEL-

Strength of Bone

Starting when you choose this path at Level 3, you gain the Brutal Martial Arts style.

Brutal Martial Arts:
At 3rd level, your practice of martial arts gives you
mastery of combat styles that use unarmed strikes, however
the time spent training in this style has resulted in your
ability with other weapons declining from lack of use.
(You lose Proficency with Martial weapons, however if
another class or a Feat would give you it you gain the
ability back again, and training to learn a weapon style
takes one quarter the time and gp (still 1/day) as you had previous experience*)
You gain the following benefits while you are unarmed
or only wielding Improvised weapons and you aren't wearing
armor or wielding a shield:

*See the Training section in Chapter 8- Between Adventures

You can roll a d6 in place of the normal damage
of your unarmed strike. This die
changes as you gain barbarian levels, as shown in
the Brutal Martial Arts table.

Brutal Martial Arts Unarmed Damage Table-
Level 1-4: 1d6
Level 5-11: 1d8
Level 12-16: 1d10
Level 17-20: 1d12
When you use the Attack action with an unarmed
strike or an improvised weapon on your turn, you can make
one unarmed strike as a bonus action.

Also at 3rd level, your training allows you to move at incredible speeds. (Note that this may need balancing)

Unarmed Movement
Starting at 3rd level, your speed increases by 10 feet while you are not wearing
armor or wielding a shield or weapon. (This includes Improvised Weapons that are
larger than 1 square foot or heavier than 10 lbs)
This bonus increases when you reach certain Barbarian
levels, as shown in the Unarmed Movement table.
At 9th level, you gain the ability to move along vertical
surfaces on your turn without falling during the move.

Unarmed Movement table-
3rd-9th: 10 feet
11th-18th: 15 feet
19th-20th: 20 feet

You also won't get sick from eating raw meat, if it's not rotten.
>>
>>50510246
6TH LEVEL-

Strength of Iron

Iron Body
Beginning at 6th level, you can use your reaction when
you fall to reduce any falling damage you take by an
amount equal to five times your Barbarian level.

Cold Iron Strikes
Starting at 6th level, your unarmed strikes count as
magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and
immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

10TH LEVEL-

Strength of Steel

Steel Body

At 10th level, your inhuman strength lets you shrug off
certain area effects, such as a blue dragon's lightning
breath or a fireball spell. When you are subjected to
an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving
throw to take only half damage, you instead take
no damage if you succeed on the saving throw,
and only half damage if you fail.
You also become immune to Disease and resistant to Poison.

Steel Mind
Starting at 10th level, you can use your action to end one
effect on yourself that is causing you to be charmed or frightened.
>>
>>50510253
>>50510246

Gay.
Don't post stupid shit like this ever again.
>>
>>50510253
14TH LEVEL-

Strength of Adamantium

Adamantium Body

Your link to the Wilds has become strong enough that
you suffer none of the frailty of old age, and you can't
be aged magically. You can still die of old age, however.
In addition, you can go for extreme lengths with no food or
water, up to 10 days without water and 30 days without food
before suffering from Exhaustion.

Adamantium Fist

Your fists have become harder than stone, and can deliver
devistating blows. You gain the following benifits:
On your turn, when you score a criticai hit with an
unarmed Strike or reduce a creature to O hit points
with one, you can make one Unarmed Strike as a bonus action.
Before you make a melee attack with an Unarmed Strike,
you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If
the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack's damage.
20TH Level- Barbarians typically don't get a Path Feature at 20 but I feel it's too strong to be 14th level

Strength of The Planet

Your ties to Nature have grown strong enough that you
become immune to the ravages of time; your body stops
aging at 55 and you do not need to eat or drink, however
still still get hungry and thirsty
>>
File: thought skeletal.gif (847KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
thought skeletal.gif
847KB, 400x400px
Theoretically, could Lolth turn other races into Driders?

Could she give a spider the body of a drow and make a drider that way?
>>
>>50510399
In 3.5 the fang of Lolth prestige class had characters turning into half spider beings because they used a Lolth artifact. This class wasn't race restricted so yes.
>>
>>50510261
So its basically literally a 1:1 Monk Barb.

Getting rid of Martial proficiency seems pointless since everyone with half a brain is going to use the Unarmed anyway for the extra attack.

Id say get rid of the Improvised Weapon part of martial arts, improvised weapons deal different damage depending on what they are anyways.

Free GWM seems too strong for having a higher unarmed damage than a Monk in addition to Rage damage.

If you really want immortality slapped on for no real reason just change the wording on the 14th level ability to "at level 20 changes to blah blah" instead of having a special tier for it.
>>
>>50509022
Yeah we all listen to The Adventure Zone, buddy
>>
>>50510483
Good point.

The Martial Weapons shit just takes up extra space with pointless rules anyways, might as well axe it.
The Improvised Weapons damage isn't changed by the table, you just get your Bonus Attack if holding one.
Free GWM does seem a bit strong, but it's a level 14 ability so you can't just dip to get it. Maybe change it to-

Your fists have become harder than stone, and can deliver
devastating blows. You gain the following benefits when
both hands are free (so you can't use it while grappling or holding something):
Before you make a melee attack with an Unarmed Strike,
you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If
the attack hits, you add another damage die to the attack's damage.
Alternatively, you can push a creature up to one size larger than you back 10 feet
when you hit with an Unarmed strike.

Also holy shit there's a lot of typos in those posts. I guess I don't notice how much I use autocorrect when I'm typing in Notepad.
>>
does anyone have some tips/tools for drafting a map of an island nation?
>>
File: Mega City 1.png (2MB, 1439x899px) Image search: [Google]
Mega City 1.png
2MB, 1439x899px
>>50510573
There's several tools for it online, but I've never bothered to use them to see if they're any good.

You could probably google "map painter" or something and get something at least a bit workable.

I was considering making a Hex based overworld map system like in Civ games since the existing rules for exploring on a large map seem underwhelming at best to me.
>>
So I basically made up a NPC spell on the spot to serve as a plot device, but now I'm curious. How would you stat this in terms of spell level, school, etc? And what would be a fitting name for it?

>Up to 5 creatures of your choice within range gain the benefits of a long rest. You gain one level of exhaustion per creature chosen.
All I know is it'd have a Casting Time of 1 or 10 minutes. Maybe it should have some costy components, too?
>>
im new to 5e
for number of spells available the PHB says "choose a number of druid spells equal to wisdom modifier + druid level"
so if my wisdom modifier went up from +4 to +5 would i also gain another spell?
or is this only used during character creation
>>
>>50510604
I'm pretty sure that can be infinite-looped.
So don't make it a ritual unless you're willing to deal with the repercussions.
>>
>>50510620
Add a clause that you also gain any Exhaustion stacks the ones you use it on have?
>>
>>50510604

I'd probably make it a level 7 transmutation spell, with a casting time of 10 minutes.

>>50510616

I don't have my PHB on hand, so it depends on how it's worded. If it says "at level 1..." then yes, it's just character creation.

>>50510620

It could only be looped with the help of a lot of other creatures, you only remove one level of exhaustion per long rest, and can only take 1 long rest per 16 hour period.
>>
>>50510633
it doesnt say "at level 1"
i actually just read farther, and it says that you can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest, so i think that means that increasing my wisdom modifier does actually give me another spell
still not 100% though
>>
>>50510649
It does, and when you reach higher levels (like 10 for example) you will have a very large amount of prepared spells.
>>
>>50510649

Ah if it's for prepared spells then yes, increasing your wis modifier increases the number of spells you can prepare each day. I thought you meant spells known.
>>
>>50510246
Level 3 - You do less damage and run slightly faster.
Level 6 - You get some monk abilities that aren't really awfully useful, but rather necessary to catch up with anyone fighting normally.

Level 10 - Why are you not a barbarian-rogue yet?

Level 14 - You finally get something that actually gives you any point at all to taking this path! You're finally as strong as a greataxe wielding barbarian with GWM! Oh, but wait -
Greataxe wielding barbarians actually get class archetype features like bear totem or wolf totem?!

You see, there is absolutely no reason too go this path unless you want to gimp yourself and go fast with +30ft speed.
>>
>>50510667
that is what i meant
sorry english isnt my first language either lol
>>
>>50510682

Hey it's no sweat! Enjoy your adventures in D&D
>>
>>50510616
That's your available spells, yes it changes when your wisdom increases. You recalculate it every time you go up a level or something else happens to affect your wisdom stat, but you can only make use of the increased number when you take a long rest to prepare a new list of spells. To be clear, your list of prepared spells has no bearing on your number of spell slots.

Also it's okay to just say "I'm new to DnD" instead of "I'm new to 5e", /tg/ is newb-friendly.
>>
>>50510687
>>50510698
thanks for your help
im just not used to 4chan actually being helpful i guess lol
>>
>>50510671
What would you suggest to make it worthwhile then? The idea is to be more of a battlefield control pseudo-monk that's hard to kill rather than a damage shitting GWM Barb. Some kind of stunning attack with an easier DC since there's no resource spent to do it?

Like I said I've never made a full class archetype, and this one is pretty much just stealing Monk abilities so it's not even that great.

Also it's worth noting that other Paths only get their combat benefits while raging, which is either not even something to consider or actually significant depending on how often your DM lets you rest.
>>
>>50510722
Other paths do get some benefits while not raging.
I think the level 6 ability tends to be a non-raging one.

I think by the time you insist on unarmed strikes and not gaining any special ability to your rage you're pretty much saying that you should just play monk instead, and give the monk some sort of rage-like ability. Or just multiclass barbarian1/monkX.

The real problem is that level 3 only enables you to fight with unarmed strikes, which are worse than fighting with something such as a rapier. Both unarmed strikes and rapier can be used alongside a shield, but... Well, of course, one does better at higher levels.
But, you don't really give any special feature other than 'move faster', which isn't really so interesting, especially when barbarian already gets that at level 5.

Something like a stunning strike certainly might work, or something like 'While raging, you can once per turn attempt to stun a target instead of attacking them' or something. .. But copying the monk abilities just seems to be further falling into this 'play monk' well.

I think it'd be good to overhaul the entire monk class then make a strength-based brawler archetype gained at level 1.
>>
>>50510633
"You gain the BENEFITS of a Long Rest" would get rules lawyers up in arms if ever published by WOTC, but I get your point. In any case, the more important bit is that if you get six clerics in a circle, they can do the following:
>Merry cleric band spends 8 hours adventuring, every cleric keeps Fastsleep prepared
>Cleric 1 casts Fastsleep as a ritual, gets 5 levels of exhaustion (but still alive)
>Now every cleric has all of their spells back
>500 gp of diamond dust for greater restoration means at the cost of 5 fifth level spell slots a run, you can adventure forever.
At high levels, where this is affordable, the option to nearly instantly refresh the spell slots of a full caster is busted. Full stop.
>>
>>50510779
Actually, that's not completely accurate, I forgot to mention the part where one of the refreshed clerics casts the spell on the cleric that cast it originally, but it still costs the same amount.
>>
>>50510750
>While raging, you can once per turn attempt to stun a target instead of attacking them' or something.
Giving them a bunch of "not ki" abilities to use while raging isn't a bad idea, maybe something like

>Stunning Blow
>While raging, you slam an enemy with all your weight and follow through with the attack, dealing less damage but knocking back and potentially stunning them
>On a hit deals 1d4 damage and pushes the target back 10 feet, plus the target must make a DC12 CON save or be stunned until the beginning of your next turn

>Retaliation
>While raging during an enemy Melee attack, you can use your Reaction to look for an opportunity to counterattack. If an enemy attack roll is 5 or less than your AC, you can make one Unarmed attack as a reaction. You must use this reaction before the attack roll.

For this one I'm not sure if it should be for only one attack or all attacks until you get your counterattack in.

Some kind of Rage specialization would be good too, and not to copy Bear too much but the "Resist all but Psychic while raging" might be a good choice. Maybe keep the "heightened focus" theme by saying you can use your STR score for any DEX checks or saves while raging? Or would that be too strong?
>>
>>50509022
Is this the goblin cave in LMoP?
>>
>>50510834
The effects should still scale.
Damage should be following unarmed strike damage (or 1d4 might be fine on grounds of 'improvized weapon', could be a 'tableflip stun attack') and DC shouldn't be a specific amount. DCs caused by a creature are always the creature's save DC, and never with any sort of modifier or the like, it would appear.
So, it'd be better to make it something less strong than a stun, Prone sort of fits, I guess, but stun might be okay if you lose all your damage that turn, considering you could attempt 10 stuns every rage.

The retaliation one is fine and fits with the 'make lots of punch attacks' thing but is a bit fiddley. The reaction would have to be triggered by something (Say, being targeted by an attack) and I guess it might be better as something like 'If an enemy rolls a nat 1 trying to attack you, you may make an unarmed strike attack against them in reaction'

I'm not sure if you intend for all unarmed strike users here to use shields, but right now I think they'd all benfit from using shields since that doesn't interfere with any ability. But that's probably fine.

Str score instead for dex checks should be fine, too. Just ability checks? That wouldn't be too strong. Dex saves as well would make it more versatile.
>>
>>50508939
So what a good way to build a rogue lock? I'm Rogue1/Warlock2 atm.
>>
>>50510892
just keep adding rogue levels
>>
It seems utterly bizarre to me that a Neolithid is so tremendously powerful. Like I know it's not a perfect measure but it's a useful metric, and the Mindflayer shit from strongest to weakest in terms of Challenge rating is like
Illithilich
Elder Brain
Neothelid
Alhoon
Ularithid
Mindflayer Arcanist
Mindflayer
Mindwitness
Cranium Rats
It's like they're the strongest when things go entirely outside of what they plan or want. Like, damn, sure it's taboo but you'd think if they were so damn smart an Elder Brain might go "you know, I'll sacrifice a tadpole or two, let them grow massive, and then let them loose on some gith or something." Sure the Neolithids are uncontroleable but you don't have to worry about then once you make it someone else's problem.

Is there a template for Ceremorphosis? I think I might try to make some non humanoids all mindflayed as enemies. Like some elder brain has come up with this scheme of ceremorphising en masse with budget tadpoles and saving the actual good tadpoles for shit like bahir or cloakers or something, maybe even a dragon
>>
>>50510879
Yeah I should have said the DC was 8+Prof+STRmod like most other save DCs.

Maybe something like "knocked back and knocked prone on failed save". Basically sacrificing some damage for crowd control.

The Reaction one might seem a bit strangely worded, maybe it'd be best to remove the burn your reaction before they attack stipulation.
So basically
>Retaliation
>While raging, you can make an opportunity attack using your reaction on any attack aimed at you which rolls 5 or less than your AC and if the attack is 10 or less than your AC this attack does not cost a reaction.

So basically if you have 20 AC and they roll a 15 or lower you get an Opportunity Attack using your Reaction, and if they roll a 10 or lower you get a free attack, and removing the Melee stipulation means you can make a ranged opportunity attack with an Improvised Weapon.

>I'm not sure if you intend for all unarmed strike users here to use shields, but right now I think they'd all benfit from using shields since that doesn't interfere with any ability. But that's probably fine.

I was considering making it so you get +2 AC while unarmed since the Unarmed style specifies no shields, and again goes with the "Rage as Heightened Focus" and tanky theme. Maybe make it unlock at level 6 or so.

As for the Dex thing, it might be easier to simply reword it to "While Raging your DEX equals your STR if it's not already higher", however that might cause some balance issues with things like Unarmored Defense scaling.

Also as a final aside, the inspiration for this Path came from the Theurgy Wizard basically being Wiz+Cleric.
>>
>>50510779
That's part of the reason I posted this here, see how people would break it. Anyway, it's just a thought, a NPC-only spell. The intention is basically the caster refreshes a party and then is out for a number of days. To make it work as intended, it would look more like this:

>Up to 5 creatures of your choice other than you within range gain the benefits of a long rest. You gain one level of exhaustion per creature chosen. The exhaustion acquired through this spell cannot be removed by any kind of magic, only by taking long rests as normal.

With this, the only busted part I see is that gaining 1 level of exhaustion in exchange of giving someone a long rest is still a somewhat broken trade-off. Maybe reducing the maximum number of creatures to 4 and changing the second sentence to "You gain one level of exhaustion plus one per creature chosen."
>>
>>50510996
>The intention is basically the caster refreshes a party and then is out for a number of days.
Alright, well, it should probably require some sort of focus that's not terribly expensive but cannot be carried around. Like an arcane circle composed of beds or something like that.
On the RP side, that sounds like a weird job if it's used regularly enough to form a business.
>Alright, Bill, it's your turn to pass out for four days so these chucklefucks can slay a dragon or something.
>>
>>50510980
As nice as the free attack stuff sounds, it's very against typical 5e to give free potentially infinite attacks, especially if someone ends up buffing your AC to ridiculous extents. It also means you're thinking way too much about each specific roll ever rolled against you, when it's nicer to have a 'was it X? If so, do attack. After that, you can't attack again until you get your reaction back'.

Knocking prone would be fine, since it's an open hand thing and you can do a damage-less shove by default anyway. You could straight-up give them once-a-turn open hand use while raging if you really want, if you're not too worried with basically becoming a weird variant of monk and it balances out.

+2 AC but requiring unarmoured is probably fine, even if you also have resistance to physical damage while raging. But, there'd have to be a strong enough incentive to use strength over dexterity. I guess reckless attack and rage damage are still there, but... I guess they'd have to take an entire level of monk to get dexpunches anyway, so eh.

We don't speak about theurgy wizard. Some mistakes should never be brought to surface. We just pretend all is right with the world.
>>
First-time DM here, I want to do a test-run for my new group of first-time players, partially as it's my first time playing online through Skype/D20. Are there any tutorial dungeons or short questw kicking around that I could use?
>>
>>50511043
>Free attacks
Yeah that could quickly snowball. Leaving it at a reaction for -5 seems decent, especially since it doesn't specify what kind of unarmed attack it is- you could use your reaction to knock them 10 feet away on their ass if you combo it with the punch, and Tavern Brawler might let you Grapple them as a reaction if your punch hit, though I assume you can't take a bonus action outside your turn even if you meet the criteria to do so.

>But, there'd have to be a strong enough incentive to use strength over dexterity.
Well with that "While Raging your DEX equals your STR if it's not already higher" you'd get both. I'm still unsure if that'd be a good idea or not though.
>>
>>50511043
>>50511084
Oh and I forgot to add- for the Knockback Punch rather than a D4 make it one die lower than your current Unarmed die. So at level 1 it'd be a d4, at level 10 it'd be a d6, level 15 d8, etc.
>>
>>50510917
Why? I'd figure I want to hit warlock 5 for thirsting blade.
>>
>>50510946
Is the illithilich really a CR above the elder brain? That's bizarre and illogical.

You could fluff it so that a neothelid is what happens when a tadpole infests a dragon host or something like that, to explain its great power.
>>
A monster book about eating monsters called All the World's Meat when?
>>
>>50511221
I'd just fluff it so a Neothelid always prefers to attack other Mind Flayer creatures, Elder Brains in particular, since it recognizes their mental presence. So even if you tried to release it in an enemy lair it'd just do a 180 and charge straight back to your city anyway.
>>
>>50511250
Meant to also quote >>50510946
>>
Uhh, isn't the Warlord everyone is crying after achieved by simply taking a Battlemaster, and replacing the maneuver list with ones that benefit your party instead of you individually? You could even "prepare" a certain subset of them each day.
>>
>>50509472
I'm sorry for your loss anon.
>>
>>50511250
Oh man, if Neolithids are colossal, overgrown mindflayer tadpoles, you could say that one that manages to totally consume an elder brain becomes this incredibly intelligent and powerful fusion of the two, and that's the real reason why Elder Brains imply that Neolithid are taboo since they're afraid of getting eaten
>>
So a member of party has already expressed his intentions to skin a dragon after they kill it.What would you recommend for dragon specific loot or dragon hide/scales? I can't find anything in the players handbook or dungeon masters guide.
>>
Do you think giving a ceremorphised cloaker greater invisibility or Invisibility as an innate psionic spell is too much?

I reason it's kind of like the Shadow, that old radio drama character? The Cloaker isn't actually invisible, just very good at stealth and now that's been all mindflayered it can use it's new brain powers to "erase" its visual self from the minds of those that can see it.
>>
Anyone have an idea when the PDFs for Epic Characters and Heroes of the Orient will be updated?
>>
>>50511270
the lack of non-magical healing hurts a lot, it was a great mechanic that you could have fun with the fluff of it. being a screaming sergeant that insults you to heal you is great stuff.

pic related, kobold battlemaster
>>
>>50510946
An illithilich having a CR of 22 compared to the elder brain's CR 14 is stupid af. It should be the other way round.

Oh, intellect devourers should be within that list as well.

I like that neothelids are so immensely powerful, it's the ultimate expression of survival of the fittest and engorgement of the weakest by the strong. I would go one further and give the neothelids an intellect befitting their majesty, at least Int 13 or 16 on par with their Wis.

I would also give back chuul their average Int.
>>
>>50511644
>fighters can heal themselves by taking a deep breath
>anyone can overheal anyone else by saying some nice words to get them pumped
>book and those features point out that HP isn't just physical damage, but an abstract concept that also involves your mental state
>only non-magical martial healing is PDK sharing Second Wind
Lame.
>>
>>50511473
Sounds like a cool idea. Greater Invisibility would be pretty much the cloaker now able to redirect light around his form to blend with the background. Even at disadvantage, AC 14 is not that high and he can easily lose concentration, so no, I don't think it's too much.
>>
>>50509472
Have the PCs start on the road to a village. In the village are several power player NPCs who can give them quests. Whatever NPC they take a quest from, have him betray the PCs in some way, and escape.

Instant vengeance plot.
>>
>>50511644
Yeah, so... you include a "maneuvre" that heals your allies.
>>
>>50511659
Yeah no kidding. Elder Brains should be the absolute ultimate expression of their power. Like foolish loners go out and become lichs. Elder Brains make borg collectives.

Can't believe I forgot about the intellect devourers. One of my favourite creatures to use. Having someone my player just killed's head start to twitch and a devourer burst out is great fun.
>>
>>50511728
Yeah, damn straight, they're even CR 25 in 3e. Guess the designers didn't actually do their homework. Fuck that shit. An illithilich is great, but not that great and shouldn't topple the pinnacle of mindflayerdom that is the elder brain.

>Having someone my player just killed's head start to twitch and a devourer burst out is great fun.
You evil bastard.
I like it.
>>
I thought it'd be neat to make a ceremorphised Cloaker so I just sort of smushed the Mindflayer and Cloaker statblocks together, I was wondering if you guys with more experience with this sort of thing might offer suggestions or criticisms in terms of thematics, and if it seems like it's around 8 or 9 CR and if it should be higher or lower.
I ought to give that DMG section a better read over in the mean time.
http://pastebin.com/Xu8jbMVe
>>
>Most of the time play a cleric, druid or ranger
>Not a fan of elves
>Finally get some new Wisdom races
>DM says no Kenku, Lizardfolk or Aasimir
a-at least I got one new race to play
>>
I have a friend designing a campaign.
Standard 5e he wants to involve sprawling winter tundras and dense rainforest (separate of course)
How would he go about doing that. Have Any of you done things like this
What world building tips would you give for those environments?
>>
>>50511084
Go and get Lost Mines of Phandelver form the Mega link in the OP. The adventure is from level 1-4 but you can always just take the first dungeon which introduces the game really well for first time DMs and players.

Have fun and remember not to be a rules lawyer. If you don't find needed rules in a reasonable time just make them up on the spot and tell your group that you will look them up later.
>>
>>50512172
i'm doing that in my campaign, cause forests are old hat

make perception and seeing distance a thing with the dense jungle and blowing tundra

lots of difficult terrain

cold and heat exhaustion probably. I don't know if you ever been in a real rainforest (i have), it's hot as all fuck inside, don't ask me how cause i'm not a scientist, but the moment you get in that rainforest the heat is trapped in and the humidity is pumped up to 100, I never sweat so much in my life from doing nothing more than just walking.

lizardfolk, grung, bullywugs, maybe kobolds, yuan-ti.

infact i just watched this video last night about this very thing, it's just a few minutes so watch it for ideas about those ecologies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUaPlRe7bY
>>
>>50511644
Rally, sure its temp HP, but its still there.
>>
>>50512042
>no lizardmen
>firbolgs ok
Lizardmen have way less special shit going on, especially for a cleric.
>>
Does TFW work for the revised beastmaster? They don't require bonus actions (other than spells) and don't get multiattack, so I assume it would be fine
>>
>>50512266
Think its more he doesn't want them in the game than them being too strong or anything like that
>>
>>50512209
Thanks, bud. I've already started screwing around with the rules myself, seems like nonsense to me that Nature is an Int check and Medicine is Wis.
>>
One of my players last night found the most brilliant solution to the death house basement.
>I let him find a small lizard in the basement earlier, intending for the party to sacrifice it if they're clever
>He befriends it with a high animal handling roll
>At the altar he figures out that he could kill the lizard, just as the party starts considering killing a character
>He refuses to, because he likes having a pet
>He runs back up into the house, grabs a few bowls and rips a square of curtain
>Squeezes the blood out of some of the ghouls they killed
>Takes the cloth and blood to the altar, drenching the cloth in the blood then wringing it into the bowl over and over again until it's stained a darkish red
>He proclaims "The ritual is done, I have dyed"
I was so impressed I let him have it, he even searched the dais beforehand to make sure it wasn't in writing so he could technically comply with the chanting.
>>
File: DfuLJq3.gif (585KB, 341x658px) Image search: [Google]
DfuLJq3.gif
585KB, 341x658px
Is this what the tabaxi looks like running at speed?
>>
How would you handle a player with sufficient carry capacity who wanted to pick up another consenting player? Would they move at full speed? Could they pick them up as part of an object interaction?
>>
>>50510237 here with an updated version.

Path of the Fist Barbarian
http://pastebin.com/UXahSZ67

I feel like I might have gone too far with making it stronger how >>50510671 suggested.

Any suggestions? I'd like to get it as good as I can before making it a shiny .pdf to post here.
>>
>>50511181
No. I would recommend 3 levels of Warlock, to get Darkness spell + Devil's Sight, and chainlock to get an Imp pet, for constant advantage courtesy of your invisible drone. There's an argument that Voice of the Chain Master is better than Devil's Sight if you have an Imp pet, but some wrong people think VoCM's vision boost isn't on all the time.
>>
File: mindshadow.png (1MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
mindshadow.png
1MB, 1500x1500px
>>50511836
It was kind of cooler in my imagination
>>
Is there a way for players to find out what a magic item is without identify?
>>
>>50508939
What are some good spells to get with magical secrets for a level 10 bard?
Preferably from the druid's or wizard's list only for rp reasons.
>>
>>50512819
Trial and Error, the "This probably isn't an armour of vulnerability" method.
>>
>>50512819
IIRC you can tell what it is by lookin' at it reeeeeal hard over a long rest.
>>
>>50512837
Bigby's Hand is a common pick

If you're support oriented, Greater Restoration from the Druid list is great
>>
>>50509530
Drinking is always within reason.
>>
>>50512837
>>50512900
Also Mass Cure Wounds from Druid

Especially if you don't have a Paladin or Cleric
>>
File: Hellboy-Comics-Mignola-h2.jpg (98KB, 725x546px) Image search: [Google]
Hellboy-Comics-Mignola-h2.jpg
98KB, 725x546px
Just for shits n' giggles, I've been thinking of how I'd stat Hellboy as a PC in 5th edition. Racial traits would be a combination of tiefling and goliath, his background would be a mix of faction agent and investigator, and his class would be fighter with maybe one or two levels into cleric, (only because he's used holy symbols in a few comics, and can speak with the dead). He knows only one language (common), he doesn't have proficiency in the pistol he carries, (Hellboy was always a terrible shot), and his Right Hand of Doom counts as a +1 war hammer. The big lug definitely has 20's in STR and CON. Hellboy was always bad about falling into traps and getting in over his head, so WIS and INT might be kinda low. He certainly has proficiency in history, investigation, and athletics. Obviously, I would never let anyone play a character like this, but it is a fun exorcise in imagination. What do you think?
>>
Are gnolls really that much more "intense"?
>>
>>50512819
If a player focuses on the item while maintaining physical contact during a short rest they can understand what it does.
>>
>>50512913
>>50512900
>Bigby's Hand
I think I'll pick this, because we already have a dedicated healer. Thanks for the suggestions.
It looks like a damn good spell, did it improve from the older editions? I remember considering it shit.
>>
>>50512500
Just skimming it here's what I see.

Enhanced Focus should be given the "and holding no weapon/shield" clause to keep multiclass cheese down since it's a level 3 dip to get it

Unarmed Movement might be silly combined with Mobile, since unlike a Monk it's a d12 hit die Barbarian speeding around.

Stone Stomach inedible plants should be removed or given an actual number, it doesn't fit with 5e rulings to be vague with "a few days".

Retaliation would be fine to use while not raging.

The bonus action from Not-GWM is pointless since you already have free bonus unarmed attacks

Extreme Focus- giving a PC a Legendary Action, even the most mundane one, isn't something I can think of existing anywhere else and should probably be changed or removed.

Adamantium Fist- make it so the extra attack can only be unarmed

Level 20 immortality seems a bit odd since wizards spend their whole life searching for it and your meathead Barbarian gets it just for being really swole
>>
>>50512956
Yes

Check out Volo's guide, they're pretty ruthless
>>
>>50512819
Depends on your DM a lot.

Magic items are the DM's realm and it's fine if they even want to say 'identify only gives you some of the information of the item.'
If they tell you identify doesn't work at all there'd better be a good reason or they're just being a dick.

There is a variant rule that says >>50512981 doesn't work, and I feel a lot of DMs run it that way.

However, some DMs also run 'there are fucking magic items fucking everywhere like this is fucking pathfinder and it'd be confusing if I didn't just tell you all the stats straight away'.

No matter what, a good history/religion/arcana/whatever intellect check should help.
>>
Anyone interested in a Vampire subrace variant based off the UA Revenant and an accompanying class based off the Mystic?
>>
>>50513003
Bigby's Hand is amazing in 5e.

Since you already have a healer, I'd also recommend Phantasmal Killer (4th level Wizard spell). It's fun as fuck to use and I'm surprised it's not on the Bard list
>>
>>50512511
I'm going blade pact.
>>
>>50513025
>Enhanced Focus
Good idea, changed.

>Unarmed Movement
The way I see it they "speed up" a lot slower than a Monk, however I admit I hadn't considered Feats much making this.

>Stone Stomach
I'll probably make it something like when you eat plants roll 1d4, and that's how many days you can go eating just plants without suffering Exhaustion and make it so it resets on having a proper meal.

>Not GWM
Good point, I'll remove that bit.

>Extreme Focus
I might make it so you can make one Perception check as a free action on your turn then.

>Adamantium Fist
By 14 any multiclass is pretty dedicated to Unarmed anyways so I don't see much harm in leaving PCs options open for attacks.

And the Immortality is more just for fluff, rarely if ever will player age come up (At least in my experience).
>>
First time DM again.

When do I use the characters' passive perception and when do I make them roll perception checks? I thought perception was used anytime it's about the characters noticing something and investigation was for looking at things they were already aware of.
>>
>>50513256
Why, praytell?
>>
>>50513383
Passive investigation/perception for when the party isn't actively rolling for anything but needs to notice something anyway.

For example, if the party isn't searching for traps or ambushes or a hidden door but passes one, they're assumed to have their passive perception/investigation.

Something like that.

What it most definitely is 100% used for is stealth and hide checks.
If somebody hides or a bunch of enemies ambush the party and attempt to get a surprise round or a hidden enemy approaches, their stealth check must beat the passive perception of the highest passive perception in the party. If anyone rolls perception specifically to look about and it's a higher number, use that, though often they won't be specifically searching when walking down a road for five days.
>>
>>50513393
Because it's cool!

Too bad it's shit.

My DM was fine with me refluffing Eldritch Blast as melee attacks at point blank, which meant I could do stuff like knock around enemies with melee hits. It'd be a bit pointless for most groups but he ran with some houserules, one of which was ranged weapons being shit at closer ranges in combat so being able to EB at point blank was actually a benefit.

Too bad the group fell apart before level 6.
>>
File: IMG_9745.jpg (998KB, 834x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9745.jpg
998KB, 834x1024px
>>50513256
>I'm going blade pact
>>
>>50513435
vampire > demon > power gap > kouhai

Just saying.
>>
>>50513383
'Active' Perception and Investigation is for when they're actively searching for something, looking around and tapping on the walls.

Passive Perception is what enemies roll against for their sneaking rolls, and passive Perception and Investigation let them notice traps or secret doors without having to roll for them.
>>
>>50513383
I use passive for things they can notice/spotting ambushes. Active is when the characters declare they are looking for something. If you ask a player to make a perception check, and they roll low, they know something is there whether their character sees it or not.
>>
>>50513462
'Vampire' and 'demon' are not words that ever come to mind when 'blade pact' is involved.
>>
>>50513068
Is it something you've already made? Cause sure, if so.
>>
>>50513435
Let people have fun, anon
>>
File: eytan-zana-fallengod-web.jpg (364KB, 1920x1084px) Image search: [Google]
eytan-zana-fallengod-web.jpg
364KB, 1920x1084px
Is there a list anywhere of all the 'official' character creation material?

I just need some background/subclass names and sources so I don't have to scour every supplement and UA in existence.
>>
>>50510892
You almost always want to prioritize the full caster class in order to get sixth plus level spells.

As a bladelock, you're going to be in the thick of things, and the highest damage you can do is with polearm master bonus attacks, so you want a rogue subclass that doesn't use bonus action frequently. So four rogue, 16 warlock.

Assassin rogue for auto crits and less reliance on bonus actions.

Invocations will obviously be the blade pact ones, but also consider at will levitate, at will alter self.

Spell selections should be buffs or nonsave debuffs
>>
>>50513518
There is a pdf that some anon always posts. If you just ignore the DMs Guild entries it is all official. I don't have it but you may be able to find it in old thread archives.
>>
>>50513256
Oh, and don't listen to the morons. Blade pact is capable of dealing more damage than eldritch blast and most martial classes. It's up there in the damage per round and is completely viable.
>>
>>50513546
what level do you need to be and what do you need to do to beat out these other options
>>
>>50513490
It's odd, because rogue is probably the one exception where pact of the blade is actually okay provided your DM doesn't allow familiar bullshittery or SCAG because otherwise, why not just get GFB/BB and advantage instead?.

Otherwise, you have to be a pure masochist to get fun from it.
>>
>>50513563
With variant human you can do it from level 5 onward, with the bladelock contribution to damage maxing out at level 12, allowing for extremely flexible multiclassing as long as you mind your Asis.
>>
>>50513546
Stop trying to lead people into traps, anon.
>deals more damage
>with a bajillion downsides, including 'only works out at level 12', 'going into melee', 'not doing force damage', 'not having stuff such as pushback bonuses', 'requires an extra invocation to work', 'requires MADness despite only having limited ASIs', and so forth
Why not just be a fighter?

Without a doubt, pact of the tome is better for bladelocks as if you multiclass it's invaluable to have shillelagh.

Pact of the tome is what pact of the blade wants to be.
Tell them to go pact of the tome instead.
>>
>>50513393
Cause that's what I want to do.
>>
>>50513628
It isn't a trap anon. You deal more damage than pact of the tome at level 5 due to extra attack, and at level 12 you start doing more damage than other martials. Stop trying to disregard math.
>>
How's your campaign goes /5eg/?

Today my moon druid stuck fighting in his human form because we encounter spectre and wraith, and he's the only one in the party with magic weapon (via shillelagh).
>>
>>50513703
>playing in games
>>
>>50513681
Do I need to be warlock 12 to get that, or just 12?
>>
Hey /5eg/, coming to you again for balance. I saw a few anons sharing their homebrew cantrips before(a few months ago) and really liked the idea of one of the ones he posted. So I aped it, and changed it around to not seem as weak. I'm wondering though if I overdid it since I'll be using it in a campaign soon and the GM already approved it. Any help would be appreciated.

Gale Blade(Was originally Thundercrash)
Cantrip Evocation(Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5ft
Components: V, M(A weapon)
Duration: Instantaneous

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, the target takes lightning damage equal to your spellcasting modifier and you can teleport to an empty square adjacent to the target.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 lightning damage to the target, and you can teleport an additional 5 feet away from the target. The damage roll increases by 1d8 and the teleport increases by 5 feet at 11th level and 17th level.
>>
>>50513681
You deal less damage at level 5 than eldritch blast.
Pact of the tome doesn't use an invocation, and thus can use that invocation on eldritch blast and thus still be effectively better by +2 damage/round (+up to +4 with crits) over pact of the blade.
And, also, they can instead of using eldritch blast choose to either use GFB or not use GFB. If GFB triggers, it deals a total of 3d8+DEXMOD+CHAMOD...

Oh, sorry, I guess you're assuming a maul, which adds on even more downsides.
>can't use a shield to actually get melee survivabiliy
>requires strength, which means you need to multiclass for armour or otherwise have even worse AC, and also screws over your dex saves/initiative

It just isn't worth it over shillelagh+multiclass (Say, paladin). If you want to be a pure caster? Just go bladesinger, damnit.
>>
>>50510667
Except druids know all of their spells as soon as they can cast them...
>>
>>50513731
Not him but...

Paladin 2 / Warlock X with maul is worth it.
Shillelagh is nice but so is GWM.

I agree that pure bladelock is a shit though. The issue isn't damage but survivability. You can solve its problem if your DM is generous and give you a magic bow for you to bond with though.
>>
>>50513414
>>50513474
>>50513475
Alright, thanks.

I'm going to extrapolate a bit though, because actively looking for things seems kind of split between perception and investigation by this description.

I guess a passive perception check is for when they're not actively looking for something but it's significant, to see whether they notice it.

A perception roll is when they're actively looking for something that is significant but difficult to perceive, like a hidden switch for a secret door, or an hiding invisible opponent.

On the other hand, an investigation check isn't so much about perceiving things of significance as it is about discerning what is and is not significant, like finding clues on a dead body which might reveal telling details about how they were killed, or picking out a code hidden in a text, or that kind of thing. Right?
>>
>>50513714
Warlock 12, since the advantage they have is adding two stats to damage rolls at level 12.

>>50513731
Incorrect. Again.

Eldritch blast will do 2d10 plus mod*2 at level 5
Polearm master bladelocks will do 2d10 plus mod*3 plus 1d4,
Shill locks will do 2d8 plus mod*2 at level 5.

In all cases, the bladelock has superior damage with variant human providing the polearm master. The only time eldritch blast is on par is the first round, when the bladelock uses its bonus action to hex instead of attack. (Hex has been ignored in the above calculations, but at level 5 it helps the bladelock more because the bladelock gets three procs to everyone elses 2.)
>>
>>50513781
Perception is for looking at things broadly. Searching for traps or finding hidden doors is Investigation on a specific object.
>>
On LMoP:
Any tips for running Wave Echo Cave? I'm gonna give them a long rest from magic whisky and rush them right there after the castle.
>>
>>50513781
>>50513800
An example: Perception roll notices scratches in the floor near a bookcase. Player rolls Investigation on that bookcase to find the hidden door.
>>
>>50513800
What would you describe as a specific object? Like how big a section of wall or floor can you investigate at once?
>>
>>50513799
>>Polearm master bladelocks will do 2d10 plus mod*3 plus 1d4,
it should be noted that this "mod" here is strength, which will do absolutely nothing else for you as it's un-used for your warlock abilities, investing in it hurts your ability to improve charisma (which powers the rest of your class including your EB), and furthermore as you lack anything better than light armor prof it also means you're wearing weak armor with a probably middling dex and no shield.

So yeah you're a "glass cannon" with maybe like 22 melee to 15 ranged damage at level 5, and you have like I dunno, 13AC?
>>
>>50513770
Neither GWM or PAM have great synergy with warlock.

With only two base attacks and no base bonus attacks, GWM would work better on a fighter.
At level 12, lifedrinker makes attacks more valuable and thus GWM is less effective as the -5 to hit matters more when you deal more damage.
The bonus action clashes with 'hex', if you use that a lot, along with other spells.
You don't get many ASIs, and you need those ASIs to cover your MADness.

PAM -
Actually, disregard above. PAM is actually okay. Yes, the bonus action clashes with hex, but it has both synergy with hex and lifedrinker. Same for the reaction. However, in the end, a paladin still does this better as they still do plenty of damage without needing charisma to buff their IDS and they have crit DS chances for every extra attack you get.
At level 12, PAM is probably a much better choice than GWM for warlock.

In the end, you'll be walking in paladin's shadow, though, and you'll want multiclass still that the paladin does not need to get.

>>50513799
Well, with PAM it does work out better. I will agree PAM does more damage (especially considering the reaction attack), but it still carries a range of disadvantages.
Just going paladin would be much better in that case you want to play a magical polearm fighter.
>>
>>50513864
I usually have perception give a pretty narrow area to search. It really depends on what they are tying to find. If its a secret door or trap they need to search the 5x5 where it is. but if they are looking for clues or something in a room, I will let it roll for the whole room.
>>
>>50513875
In my ideal build the bladelock actually starts as a paladin or fighter. Smiting with warlock spell slots is great, and the fighter gives you an extra asi to play with. Both give you proficiency in heavy armor, which allows platemail.

Its still a 12 warlock build though, because faster casting progression is great.

>>50513865
Warlocks generally shouldn't take spells that rely on charisma anyways. Because of how few spells you get, you want to throw things that are guaranteed out, which don't offer a saving throw opportunity.
>>
>>50513950
Oh, and mountain dwarves are also viable starting races, to help with the armor issue.
>>
>>50513937
Wait, perception rather than investigation?
>>
Stop trying to make an optimize bladelock happen. It's never going to happen.
>>
>>50513937
>>50513984
The distinction I usually make between perception and investigation is how much time is spent looking. Perception is glancing over a room or down a hallway in a short span to notice anything hiding or amiss. Investigation is going over that same space brick by brick for more specific clues or details.
>>
>>50513994
It's already happened, because it's true. Numbers don't lie.
>>
>>50513984
High perception will give indications that something is there. Blood near a trap, no footprints down a hallway, footprints going into a wall. Then Investigation to find those specific things. If it were a murder mystery type room, I would let investigation go for the whole room looking for clues like "bloody dagger under the bed", but something like "giant pool of blood and broken window" is obvious enough to be perception.
>>
>>50513531
Aha, got it. Thanks anon.
>>
>>50513950
I'm much more for warlock3(or 4 or 5)/PaladinLots or Warlock3(or 4 or 5)/Fighter 7

The deal with getting an ASI from fighter is that you'll get extra attack anyway at level 5 and you don't really need pact of the blade anymore unless you reach level 17 and get lifedrinker.

>>50513994
Well, after my realizations that GWM is shite on paladin and PAM is much better and the same now following for warlock, I'm seeing it's a little less shit.
But it's still shit.
Compared to a paladin they lose the cool paladin auras and such for being able to cast high level spells.

Pact of the blade without multiclassing is possibly the worst thing you could ever even try doing. Even pact of the tome for shillelagh combat lends better to multiclassing.

This is why multiclassing is good. It lets you play things such as strength-based rogues.
>>
>>50514104
>This is why multiclassing is good. It lets you play things such as strength-based rogues.
IMAGINE that there were no classes.
limitless customization.
>>
>>50514104
You get higher damage potential with higher warlock levels is the thing. And higher level casting. Paladin auras are nice, but they can't beat out sixth plus level spells, or 5th level spells at level 9/10
>>
File: WRim0to.jpg (956KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WRim0to.jpg
956KB, 1920x1080px
Stat me (As a playable race)

http://endlesslegend.gamepedia.com/Broken_Lords
>>
Flagon of False life
as long as this flagon contains Alcohol, drink from it as you would a potion. You gain the effects of the 'False life' spell. The spell level is determined by the quality of alcohol contained.
How many drinks should I give this before it needs refilling
and is it too good or shitty for a side quest reward
>>
>>50514131
That's mutants and masterminds

>>50514141
I'd probably have a bladesinger wizard, valor bard or just a bard or wizard or moon druid to cover high level spellcasting. Or, even a cleric gets heavy armour.
They don't need the slightly higher melee damage because they don't need to multiclass and they can focus up their casting stat, so they'll be good at their role as a main caster.

The paladin would be essential but fill a different role of support. Tough, gives massive boosts against saves, heals, deals damage.
>>
>>50514185
UA Eberron warforged, throw on an ability to eat 100gp worth of currency or gems to replenish Prof*2 HP.

Or something.
>>
>>50514395
Dust isn't just currency, it's pretty much the setting equivalent to crystallized magic. It's actually nanomachines.

That and being unable to heal themselves with normal methods, potions or medicine and rests, would make them harder to balance.

Vamparic Touch at will X times a day, however they can't sleep (Nor even do the Meditate thing) and gain no benefits from resting apart from Spell Slots, and can't be healed by potions or medicine?
>>
>>50513950
>>50513875
>>50513799
>>50513731
Of course, none of this is particularly relevant to the original question, which is about a rogue/warlock multiclass. Presumably he's not going to be using two-handed weapons or shillelagh, because you can't sneak attack with those.

Having a familiar via Chain or Tome's special invocation is much more useful to rogue builds because you can get advantage once every round.
>>
File: 1470940577384.jpg (62KB, 463x260px) Image search: [Google]
1470940577384.jpg
62KB, 463x260px
>>50514486
Familiars are the cancer that is killing 5e.
REMOVE FAMILIARS
>>
>>50512500
>homebrew
>has over half the abilities of two classes
evry teim
>>
>>50509156
Hill dwarves are friendlier, more welcoming in general. Irish accents more prominent.

Mountain Dwarves are more stoic, reserved and xenophobic. Scottish accents more prominent.
>>
File: 1461894371105.png (307KB, 622x464px) Image search: [Google]
1461894371105.png
307KB, 622x464px
Are there any magic weapons that give you the ability to dominate monsters indefinitely? I was thinking about making one that let's you cast dominate monster daily on any creature that has below 10HP
>>
Stupid question: is the trove distributed any other way? Torrent or a different mega or anything?

I'm fixing /tg/'s archive, but the tool I'm using to download everything works for every mega except that one.
>>
>>50514717
It's 5e. Only 'normal' magic items are provided.

Everything else it's assumed the DM will make up.

Since the DM rules magic items, you can only help yourself.
>>
>>50514241
Make it a charge item, 7 charges refilling 1d6+1 a day. Casts false life for one charge when they drink out of it as an action, each additional charge is a level. If the large charge is spent, roll 1d20, on a 1 the bottle cracks at the bottom and loses all magic, and most importantly, the ability to hold awesome booze.

Guy can sip on it all day for 1d4+4 several times or pass it around his buddies to share the support, or he can spend 3 charges for 1d4+14 gulp but only two times, or he can chug the entire bottle at once for a huge 1d4+39 surge of temporary hitpoints.

Added bonus, when filling the bottle with a new and unique alcohol the first sip grants inspiration in addition to temp HP. "New and unique" is determined by the GM, to deter players from simply buying a keg of fine Dwarven whiskey for superior refills, and encourage them to simply ask around once at each town for any interesting bottles of alcohol they've yet to try.
>>
>>50514486
>Advantage every round.

Implying any sane GM would allow your familiar to live for longer than the time it takes the hobgoblin to say "Gahh someone shoot the fucking bird it's trying to peck my eyes.".
>>
>>50514858
Last charge*
>>
>>50514886
It's not a bird, it's an invisible imp or a sprite sniper.
>>
>>50514886
>implying they can even see the familiar in the first place
>>
>>50513724
>teleportation on a cantrip
>free move without provoking AoO at higher levels on a cantrip

Wew lad
>>
>>50512956
Their patron god is just a straight-up demon prince. All the other "monstrous races" just have racial deities. Gruumsh isn't a demon, Maglubiyet isn't a demon, but Yeenoghu is. In 4E, he was a fucking primordial. That's pretty hardcore. What's more, even gnoll women have dicks. Think about that for a minute.
>>
>>50513724
Remove the teleport scaling.
>>
>>50513724
>>50515010
As said, a cantrip should NEVER teleport you unless you're playing some sort of high-magic-anime-campaign.

While it's balanced, it's absolutely stupid you have at-will teleportation that somehow only works if you attack somebody at level 1. 5e is careful to not give you ridiculous powerlevel features until the later levels.

Heck, if you simply worded it 'you can propel yourself 5ft in a direction' then it wouldn't be ridiculous anymore.
>>
>>50515109
Not the anon who created the spell, but teleporting 5 feet to a point still next to the guy you hit doesn't actually do anything except re-position you. The cantrip would be fine if the teleporting didn't fucking scale.
>>
>>50514967
>>50514973
"Gahh someone shoot the fucking invisible imp above me it's trying to stab my eyes.".
"Don't worry boss, I've got it under control. Since in combat you automatically know the location of all invisible creatures thanks to other senses beyond sight I can easily target it with my attacks, but they are at disadvantage so I might miss even though it has a low AC, actually Zhudo can you just cast magic missile?"
"Sure."
>>
>>50514858
Damn, I like that a lot.
My inspiration for the item came from one of my players characters having an obsession with brewing, but hes one of the types who needs nudges to get into roleplaying. The new and Unique alcohol clause might give him a push to search for new recipes and ingredients to bring his brewing obsession into the front
Thanks!
>>
>>50515144
That's like saying 'It's normal for level 1 wizards to at-will transfer their bodies through whatever crazy plane they need to enter to teleport, because it's only a short distance'.
They're still doing something far too high fantasy for a level 1 adventurer.
>>
>>50515081
I'm actually going to put "Evil God" above "Demon Prince" in the grand hierarchy of evil.

It's kind of like how there are Evil Gods that reside in Hell, but they don't listen to or respect the Archdevils aside from Asmodeus.
>>
>>50515163
Magic missile requires you to see the target.

Not to mention, the familiar could probably use a stealth check or something. There's nothing saying the 'help' action will give away their location.

And, in the end, if they do go on a witchhunt to kill some familiar the enemies will have wasted a bunch of attacks that could have been used on adventurers instead, and the adventurers just resummon the familiar later.

This is why letting familiars not attack but use the help action was a stupid idea.
>>
>>50513724
>>50515010
>>50515098
>>50515109
Psshh... nothing personnel kid
>>
>>50515185
Thing is, you get all the advantages of being a demon, plus those of having worshippers like any God. You're strictly better. A demon that ascends to Godhood and winds up with as many followers as Gruumsh is simply on a higher power level than this fucker who just came from another planet.
>>
>>50513703
I had my players meet the third character of a guy, bound in a hidden room in a witches house, used for experiments, and had the players retrieve the bones of a young girl murdered by a madman who caused a dungeon owned by 4 dwarven brothers to be abandoned via flooding.
the session ended when the exiled dragon born barbarian continued his stay in the church, a magical sweet causing a spectal ballet in front of the tiefling barbarian and the ranger settling in his same old bed in the mediocre inn next door.

Overall i had fun, and i learned the virtue of rolling for personality traits in my NPC's.
>>
>>50515169
Well there's no accounting for taste, I guess. From the perspective of lore, yes, it might be stupid, but mechanically it does jack-all outside of corner cases where you're otherwise incapable of getting past someone.
>>
>>50515301
Yeah. That's mainly my issue, the fact that if you want to sell it to the general 5e audience then it doesn't fit into 5e at all.
>>
>>50515325
Again, I'm not the anon who posted it. For my games I's probably rework it into a 2nd level spell, frontload the bonus damage dice, and keep the teleport scaling.
>>
>>50513724
>Tfw you're an Anon who designed this cantrip.
Thanks bro, glad you liked it. Much better name although to me "Gale" seems more wind than lightning.
It doesn't need the teleport scaling. As another Anon said, teleporting at will is a bit iffy although he is being a total autist about it assuming it's the same anon who always spergs out over the mention of teleporting cantrip. At the end of the day, it's magic you don't have to explain shit. He can argue how teleporting is higher level magic than mere cantrips, but so are fireballs does that mean that Fire-bolt should be beyond mere cantrip use?

>>50515168
Glad you like it, seems like a nice useful item that can help him, or the party as a whole out before a big fight. The 1d6+1 charge means he can't empty it every day and expect full use of it back, and as you said it seems like it might give them a little push to roleplay a little bit more. Oh, and the whole thing is 1d4+34 my bad, pretty beefy if its a low level guy but they will only be able to use that effect once every 2-3 days due to the d6+1 charging.

>>50515190
Mhmm, nope actually Magic missile does not require you to see the target. I don't see anything in the PbB that implies this requirement but I may be wrong. There is nothing saying the help action gives away the location because guess what? Everyone can always detect invisible folks around unless they are hidden in 5e.

Invisiblity gives you advantage to hide and make attacks, disadvantage to be attacked. It does not conceal your position in any way what so ever. This may be stupid, but this is 5e. Think of it more as that blurry predator invisiblity more than actual invisiblity.
>>
File: Gnolls.png (2MB, 910x1376px) Image search: [Google]
Gnolls.png
2MB, 910x1376px
>>50513027
And I thought they were just basically hyena-headed orcs.
>>
>>50515144
>Be bugbear wizard
>Use glaive
>stab rat your familiar is holding 15 feet away
>teleport 20 feet at will

Yeah, no weird effects from this
>>
>>50515451
Flagon of Bottomless Life
This flagon contains 7 'charges' of alcohol. So long as there is one charge left, the flagon will automatically refill 1d6+1 charges per day. You may drink these "charges" to gain the effects of the 'False life' spell, with a spell slot level equal to the number of charges spent.
If the flask is emptied completely, it must be refilled with Alcohol within 1 minute, or the flagon will dry and crack, losing its enchantment and (more importantly), its ability to hold delicious booze. The flask may not be refilled manually with more than one 'charge'
If the flask is filled with a new and unique alcohol, the first charge used after it is refilled grants inspiration.

Im liking this a lot now, I threw in the refilling caveat to let them preserve the item if they NEED that last charge, but to still be unweildy and risky to try to do something like carry a barrel of mead, pass the flagon to whoever is carrying it, pass it back, drink, and repeat in the middle of combat.
>>
>>50515482
>Rat is out of range for Gale-blade, thus the spell fails.
Read nigga, reaaad.
Also.
>At will assuming 1hr ritual downtime between each movement.
>>
>>50515451
>>Mhmm, nope actually Magic missile does not require you to see the target. I don't see anything in the PbB that implies this requirement but I may be wrong.
>>
>>50515451
Specifically, it says 'Each
dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see
within range.'

While I've heard this about invisibility before, I'm not so sure about that.
The invisible condition literally states that it is impossible to see through non-magical means. However, it says it can be tracked through noise or by tracks.

If you cannot detect it by noise or by tracks, you will not be able to tell it is there at all, and thus much like how you can't say 'my character just so happens to have read the adventure guidebook and marches straight to the end before this problem ever occurs and fixes the problem' you can't attack something your character does not know exist.

Of course, it depends how your DM runs 'can this flying, invisible familiar be detected by noise?'
It'll either come down to 'yes, wings.' or 'The familiar must make a stealth check or use the hide action.'

And, even if the hide action gives away position or the fact it even exists, the familiar can still fly in circles after the hide action.

Since there are specific rules for attacking a creature you cannot see (you automatically miss if the creature isn't there) I would assume you have to get lucky and target the right tile to even make an attack in the first place.
>>
>>50515482
Melee cantrips tend not to work with reach, bruh.
>>
>>50515482
>Spell has a range of 5 feet
Are you the 8 Int wizard I keep hearing about?
>>
>>50515513
You can drop the "Cracks when empty" if you want, not all charge items have it, just some but on most items it does seem like a "I have 7 charges but you'll only use 6" tax. Since it's themed to be an important item for that player rather than just a "Fire and Forget" bonus trinket it's fine to leave out a crack-clause.

I'd say don't have it "magically refill" alcohol, but empower it, you need to put booze in it to use the magic, otherwise you have nothing to "Drink" obviously. If you run out of booze, you can't use the flagon until you find some.

Just so you then can call it the "Fozricks Flagon of Fortifying." Which works both on the fact that it fortifies the booze and also the drinker!
>>
>>50515593
Hmm, so have it manually refilled, but it still takes time to work its magic on whats inside?
>>
>>50514717
Isn't there just a pokemon PnP game you can play?
>>
>>50515536
>>50515551
My bad senpai, I read through the spellcasting chapter which says nothing about seeing your target directly, seems "You can see" is a case by case basis. Still you can freely attack the invisbile creature at any time that you can determine its location. Most creatures can determine its location by "Hey, I can hear an imp, it's over there next to the boss lets target it with disadvantage and kill it." Unless the imp is specifically using its action to hide and move quietly.
>>
>>50515628
Maybe just a miniute, nothing major. If the bottle has got the magic, it goes in with the drink.
>>
>>50515566
Could be doubled if they have the 'spell sniper' feat.

Though, honestly, that's only 10ft.

>>50515705
A lot of non-AoE type spells require you to see the target. Some specifically state you have to be heard.

Though, it's a bit weird you have to take a 'hide action' even though nobody ever even knew you were there. Say, somebody in your party is spotted during a surprise attack attempt, but you were never seen.
Eh, it's 5e though. Nets oddly have disadvantage even at 5ft range technically, unless you try to make a melee attack with them in which case you suddenly deal damage.
>>
File: Soulknife v2.3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Soulknife v2.3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
If you don't give a shit about the spellcasting options of a warlock and still want the cool fluff of a bladelock, try a Soulknife.

It's been run through the grinder and some testing so it should be balanced. Still, let me know if you have any suggestions.
>>
>>50515740
People knew you were there, you were making noise, tracks or more. Invisible or not unless you took the hide action to start moving stealthily, creatures can determine your location freely. If you are trying to move quietly, then unless their passive perception beats your stealth you're fine as long as you remain hidden.

Any imp that uses the help action has revealed himself as per the PhB and is no longer hidden, thus any members of the encounter know where it is and where it moves to if it does so until it makes the hide action again, even if it zig-zags through the air left right up10ft right 10ft and then drop 5ft, everyone in the fight knows where it is.

The guy who he "Helped" against can also make an attack of oppertunity (with disadvantage due to invisibility) if the imp tries to fly away, as does anyone who the imp provokes from, and both he and his allies know the route the imp took as it is not hiding. The imp can use his action to hide again and ideally move to regain his advantage, but invisbility in 5e is far, far from "No you can't touch this."
>>
On the topic of Magic Missile, how strong would this be?

A cantrip that casts a single 1d4+1 magic missile dart. At 5th level it becomes 2 darts, then 3, then 4.

The damage is low but autohits so offense wise it seems as good as other cantrips, but I am a little hesitant because at level 17 it entirely outclasses Magic Missile as a spell, although most cantrips do that for level 1 spells anyway, Thoughts?
>>
>>50515900
Eh, you might as well just have it do damage equal to the Spallcasting Ability mod of the caster, per dart.
>>
If I make a cleric/wizard (theurgy), do I have to choose the same domain for both? If I do, what happens with the arcane acolyte ability, is it wasted or do I gain it twice?
>>
>>50515868
I don't see where the help action reveals them, as per RAW, but I can understand RAI there.

You cannot take attacks of opportunity against creatures you cannot see.

There's a lot of things that simply can't happen if you can't see the target, so even if you can still attack unhidden invisible targets it does narrow down what can be done by quite a bit.
>>
>>50510510
I don't watch this adventure zone, my friendly anon. My group actually did those things however I'm not surprised that many others did the same.
>>
>>50515989
Nothing says you have to take the same domain, although choosing to do so makes sense.

The common interpretation is that domain features gained from theurgy scale with Int and Wizard level, so you essentially have two separate pools of, say the Warpriest feature if you're a War Cleric 1/Theurge Wizard 6.
>>
>>50515900
Too strong.

Aside from the implication it may work with evocation wizards, it's too powerful if wizards (who will have spare cantrip slots) decide to use one of those slots for a 'Oh, that monster is incredibly weak? I automatically kill any weak monsters.'

It's more a case of combat utility rather than damage where a gauranteed damage spell is better than a 'might hit' spell on a low health creature.
>>
>>50515993
Under the tab of hiding "An invisible creature can’t be seen, so it can always try to hide. Signs of its passage might still be noticed, however, and it still has to stay quiet."

And importantly "If you make noise (such as shouting a warning or knocking over a vase), you give away your position."

So unless this imp has a way to sufficiently harrass the foe enough to grant the ally advantage without making any noises, movement, or interacting with it or anything close to it physically in any way however minor, the help action will reveal that there is an invisible creature, and as such its location can be followed, located and thusly attacked until it take the hide action again.
>>
>>50510850
Yep, it's like the first or second encounter...

New DM needed a good starting campaign to learn on so I recommended him LMoP
>>
>>50516163
The text for help suggests that there are actions which don't give away noise, and as per the invisibility the invisibility will stay as long as you don't attack.

It's really if the DM decides the help action is making noise of some sort, which by RAI they should (because otherwise, how should they help?) but by RAW there is nothing that definitively says they will do something to give themselves away.

So, like you said. It depends if the DM just takes it as RAW to say 'You use the help action, we won't ask how on earth you manage it'. then it'll be fine.

Movement won't trigger it as that is assumed to be under the stealth check, though.

Still, the familiar won't take a reaction attack for flying away and will have to be attacked by a ranged attack if it moves above after taking the help action. Perhaps gauranteed death for the familiar later in the game, but can definitely waste a lot of a monster's time in the earlier levels for a creature that is summoned every short rest for minimal cost.
>>
>>50516112
Fair enough. Yeah a level 11 Evocist wizard just says "Meh, take 3d4+8".
>>
>>50516163
"Give away your position" is not the same as "revealed". They know generally where the creature is, so they can attack with disadvantage on their turn, but if it moves away it does not provoke an opportunity attack because it still cannot be seen.
>>
>>50516220
No, if it's exactly by the nature of magic missile then it's (1d4+6)*3.

Even worse.
>>
>>50516212
Again, if your imp can help in a way that requires no movement, touching, noise or interaction in any way. Then I salute you for finding the most dense GM alive.

But the rules for hiding and invisbility are pretty clear, doing anything that can be noticed and you will be noticed. If you are noticed, then unless you use the hide action, people know your location and can make attacks against you.
>>
>>50514104
>GWM is shit on paladin
>says the person who plays vengeance every time instead of devotion with PAM
GIT GUD FAGGIT
>>
>>50516233
That's not how empowered evocation works.
>>
File: LMoP map extended half-res.png (6MB, 1324x1813px) Image search: [Google]
LMoP map extended half-res.png
6MB, 1324x1813px
I made this.
>>
>>50516350
You made this?
>>
>>50516060
Well I was considering knowledge and arcana domains, since the character concept was a wizard raised and educated at a temple of the goddess (also picking the acolyte background), so double 1st level ability wouldn't really be a problem (I'd end up with 4 double proficiency skills and 6 languages or 4 extra wizard cantrips and the arcana skill twice [I wonder if I can take a different skill instead?]). However how would the potent spellcasting feature work, do I get to add INT (instead of WIS) to teh damage from sacred flame and the cantrips gained with arcane acolyte? It's kind of a silly ability for the knowledge domain, it applies only to sacred flame.
>>
>>50516359
In a sense
like, that version.
>>
>>50516276
"You feint, distract the target, or in some other way team up to make your ally's attack more effective."

It also says that you'll only give away your position if you make noise.

You could, in theory, just have the familiar throw their shield-arm off or something in a silent way that somehow doesn't actually give away their position, by RAW.

If under the effects of a zone of silence as per, say, the 'silence' spell, the familiar is pretty much completely unnoticable unless it decides to walk on the ground.

The RAW is a weird thing.

>>50516333
It is.

+5 to the damage roll.
The damage roll is a single 1d4+1.

>>50516299
Vengeance/devotion has nothing to do with it.

PAM is better than GWM for a paladin.
Having both PAM and GWM is impossible as per a racial, so you'll have to sacrifice a ASI. Paladins need those ASIs.
PAM gives more attacks to potentially crit for crit smites.
At level 11, the value of each attach increases by 1d8 damage and thus GWM is even weaker due to the -5 to hit, and fighters instead get another attack which works better with GWM.

Until level 11 though PAM + GWM isn't terrible if you're fine with losing an ASI.
>>
File: I made this..jpg (3KB, 91x125px)
I made this..jpg
3KB, 91x125px
>>50516368
I made this.
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Sy-Krg-Tyl#p6

What do you guys feel about the rebalancing this c0re guy made?
>>
>>50516361
Theurges don't get the 8th level feature of their domain, so you'll never have two instances of potent spellcasting.

Also, cleric spells gained as from a Theurge feature count as wizard spells for you, not cleric spells, so potent spellcasting will only ever work for spells you gained via the Cleric class.
>>
>>50516380
Well done
>>
>>50516276

All the imp has to do is move in, help, move out.

Using the help action only gives away that they are near the thing they're inhibiting. It didn't act as a 100 percent accurate feed on their location afterwards. Read the rules for unseen attackers for the first time in your life. You'll notice that "if the target isn't in the location you targeted, you automatically miss"
>>
>>50516369
GWM is statistically more valuable than +1 CHA mod.
It's not statistically more valuable than +2 CHA mod, especially for devotion, but that's irrelevant when you're not trading +2 CHA mod when you get GWM - you're trading +1 CHA mod.
>>
>>50516390
Core valor is fine - I don't see a purpose.
>>
>>50516369
"Huh, something just threw off my shield arm, must have been the wind."

Nope, touching them will VERY clearly give away their position, leading to the original point "Gah, shoot this invisible fucker who is mauling me!" and thus it is revealed to everyone.

But yeah, zone of silence works, but the target of the help would very much know. Others if they are close to the imp they might feel it nearby when it flaps the wings unless perhaps, aforementioned it is using the hiding action.

>>50516448
If they can hear it, they can track it. It reveals itself, until it makes the hide action, it is not hidden. If it is not hidden, it is making enough noise, tracks or other to be casually observerable and its location narrowed down to a 5ft square, allowing them to attack the right place to get the disadvantage to hit attack. Until it makes the hide action, it is not hidden. Invisbility isn't untouchable.

This is all assuming the GM doesn't rule that "Helping" doens't knock off invisbility
>>
>>50516575
Help doesn't reveal you. Again, read the rules for the first time in your life.
>>
>>50516605
Helping clearly interacts with the creature, there is no way that does not reveal you.

Next you'll be saying the imp can grapple people because grappling isn't an attack and the guys will be "Huh, how strange, why can't I move, must be the wind. I mean it feels like there is a guy grabbing my leg, and I'm pretty sure I just heard a high pitched voice say "Yeah av dat, say uncle, I'm going for the pin! from between my legs, but again I can't SEE anything, must be my imagination I guess I'll stand here."
>>
>>50516688
Grappling is explicitly an attack. Read the rules.
>>
Would any of you be kind enough to point me in the direction of the new and improved ranger?
>>
>>50516716
just look for Ranger Revised on DnD's official site
or check the mega, you faggot.
>>
>>50516716
>>
>>50516468
Just did a quick calculation.

Enemy AC 16 and less is the point where GWM becomes worth it at level 5 over simply gaining +2 strength.
Assuming things such as the paladin taking GWF, not having a magical +1 weapon.

Things that increase hit chance (Such as sacred weapon) would lower that to (16-CHAMOD) if you take an action to use sacred weapon in the first place and all that.

With spells such as bless alongside sacred weapon, I can see it being a good short-term investment, but it's not a good long-term investment at all for campaigns that go beyond level 10.

It's hard to measure the value of +2 charisma instead of +2 strength however as +2 charisma gives a whole bunch of benefits aside from simply + to hit chance on sacred weapon.
>>
How would one go about making a elven curve blade for 5e?
Does same stat block as greatsword and finesseable for elves with martial proficiency sound fair?
>>
>>50516860
>Same stats as a greatsword with finesse

I'd say 1d10 or 2d4, and finessable for everyone
>>
>>50516819
It's good in the long term, since over a career of fighting, +10 damage on a hit is worth more than +25% hit chance when the +10 damage is greater than an average of 25% more damage that your hits would normally deal (which is virtually always is).
>>
>>50516860
>greatsword with finesse
i'd throw in a blowjob for your DM
>>
>>50516860
>How would one go about making a elven curve blade for 5e?

by telling my players that dex is good enough as it is.
>>
>>50516797
I found another version of the ua ranger before but it was only 5 levels. Didn't think to try the same thing again.
>>
>DM prices a battleaxe with additional 1d6 fire damage at 30k GP
Well at least now I have a character goal.
>>
>>50516875
So basically a finesseable longsword.
But it feels weird if anyone can fully use a racial weapon with no specific training.

>>50516894
>>50516922
Oh you people see powergaming everywhere.
>>
File: 1292704891564.png (817KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1292704891564.png
817KB, 720x540px
I'm a 6th level Wizard with about 900 Gold saved up and we just arrived at a major city and trade hub with availability to buy magic items, scrolls, potions, etc

What's a good way to spend my money?
>>
>>50516957
Magic items are for losers.
>>
>>50516966
>Oh you people see powergaming everywhere.
all that Str has going for it is two handers and GWM.
>>
I'm considering giving my monk character licence to use a dexterity athletics check rather than a strength one for grappling and pinning, does that seem fair? I'm thinking judo or aikido style, dexterity is as much part of those things as strength. You could basically see it as an unstated extension of the martial arts feature.
>>
>>50516966
>So basically a finesseable longsword.

Pretty much, but without the option to one-hand it. Loses out versatility that way.

It's basically only useful for dex based or small characters that want a two-hander
>>
>>50516972
healing potions
>>
>>50516972
Elephant and all associated riding equipment. Possibly barding, as well. Work out the pricing with your DM.
>>
>>50516972

narcotics, hallucinogens, and whores
>>
>>50516966
didn't say anything about powergaming, i just think the idea of finesse with a weapon that's heavy enough to necessitate the use of two hands seems ridiculous.
>>
I never played the earlier versions of D&D.

Where does 2d4 score in terms of damage potential?

Like, if you had to rank it between 1d6/8/10?
>>
>>50516819
>>50516468
Ah, sorry, I meant

At 17+ AC, +2 strength is better.

So, 16 and less AC, GWM is better.

Sacred weapon increases it to (16+CHAMOD) and less.
Bless increases it by 2.5, naturally.

>>50516878
Starting at level 11, GWM becomes much worse simply because you now deal an extra 4.5 damage on average.
The fact you deal more damage makes the -5 hurt a lot more.

If, using the same damage model as above at level 5 with no +1 weapon, GWF,16 (or 18 if you get +2 strength) then it becomes like this:
GWM is only worth it if the enemy AC is 13 or less. 13+MOD if you increase your chance to hit.

Even at level 11, it's somewhere either 13 or 14 AC or less.

I haven't considered that you can use a 1d10 instead of a 1d4 if you kill something (I did consider the chance of critting and thus using 1d10 though) and I haven't considered that you could potentially use GWM on the 1d4 attack and not the 1d10 attack, but I'm not sober enough to go into that level of calculation on a quick whim right now.

GWM would be better if you didn't take GWF fighting style and used a quarterstaff + shield set-up, but GWM doesn't work with quarterstaff. Shillelagh does, however.

If you can buff your to-hit chance a lot and find worse-armoured enemies it's certainly not a wasted investment, but otherwise it's not really worth it for the later levels.
It does give you less versatility with the fact you can't get a shield if you want it, though.
>>
>>50517037
Higher average than 1d8, but you'll get less max damage rolls

better than 1d6, I don't know how that's a question

Little bit worse than 1d10, I don't know how that's a question
>>
>>50516878
>>50517062
I'm a PAM paladin

It's great, I'd take it over GWM any day.

I get the "enemy moves into your weapon range" reaction attack pretty much every round, through good positioning. My GM isn't a cunt so he doesn't just make enemies avoid it

and the bonus action attack is great. Crit with it twice now and so worth it. Also you can totally smite with your reaction attack and I've used that to kill an enemy on their own turn before they could even attack me

if you're a fighter, GWM, Paladin, PAM. Simple as that
>>
>>50517037
1d4, 2.5
1d6, 3.5
1d8, 4.5
1d10, 5.5
1d12, 6.5
2d4, 5
2d6, 7
Simple mathematics.

However, 2d4 functions better with 'great weapon fighter' than 1d12.
>>
>>50516989
I don't think it'd break anything, so go ahead.
>>
Pathfinder General is overrun by perverts. Help.
>>
>>50517111
You can take both PAM and GWM at the same time.

The calculations I'm doing here assume two paladins with PAM, one who has taken GWM and the other who has taken +2 strength.

You can't use GWM alongside a quarterstaff, however.
>>
>>50516995
>It's basically only useful for dex based or small characters that want a two-hander
Or for someone who just wanted a specifically elven weapon for an archfey bladelock.

>>50517024
You'd be surprised, a spear and a rapier weigh the same, yet you certainly can't handle a spear as precisely as a rapier if you hold it one handed.
>>
>>50517129
We know they need help and we're not going to
>>
>>50517129
Have you tried not playing Pathfinder?
>>
>>50516972
Material components for your spells, a bag of holding, or a potion or scroll of whatever spell you can find. Can never go wrong with healing potions.

Alternatively, find a random npc who's down on their luck and waste a lot of your gold getting him back up on his feet. That's what I did the other night in the SKT campaign I'm in.
>>
>>50516989
Seems fine, also makes me want to homebrew an extension to grappling that allows for throws and trips and shit
>>
>>50517144
>Or for someone who just wanted a specifically elven weapon for an archfey bladelock.

That's called 'the weapon is of elven make and design'.

Not every race needs a super special snowflake sword that's way better than normal swords for reasons.
>>
>>50516995
That's a direct damage upgrade for anybody who doesn't have shield proficiency yet uses dex. For example, melee rogues who get proficiency that don't use two-weapon-fighting (Because they use their bonus actions for other things or because they use booming blade or green flame blade)
... Or bladelocks.
Or bards if they get proficiency.

Or some weird multiclasses like a sorc/wizard who doesn't end up with shield proficiency somehow yet martial proficiency.

Eh, it probably wouldn't hurt as long as you don't allow elves to have proficiency in it automatically.
And then, it wouldn't be good.

If you make it valid for GWM or PAM however it'll be overpowered.
>>
>>50517216
>way better
1d10 finesseable is actually way worse than a greatsword, I'm sure you realize.
>>
>>50517242
The guy originally suggested a literal greatsword but with finesse on top.
>>
>>50517302
Yes, originally I did. We've moved onward in the discussion since.
>>
>>50517240
It's a direct damage upgrade of 1 from a Rapier. That isn't massive by any means.
>>
>>50517144
The monk entry says "just use the stats for a club and call it a nunchaku if you want one." I think the same principal applies here.
>>
Alright, so I'm a 6 level bard that went College of Lore, and I'm thinking about multiclassing into Rogue. I've been playing a skill-heavy, non-combat style, but when in combat using my concentration to debuff enemies while throwing some healing spells out to keep people up, as well as a Dissonant Whipsers or two. It's been working well, I think I've only been reduced to zero twice the entire time I've played him.

I'm thinking about going Rogue next time I level up, and possibly the next two times after that to get the Mastermind archetype and then stopping after that. The 30 ft. Help as a bonus action is just too sweet of an offer to pass up, and I think Rogue early levels would give a lot of utility that my party lacks (Swash Rogue, two tempest clerics, and a Great Old One warlock).

What are you guys' thoughts?
>>
>>50509497
Can you tell me anything about his lifestyle? Did he have any family history or medical conditions? Sorry if this is personal but I'm 21 and i've been having strong anxiety lately leading to chest tightness.
>>
>>50509472
I'm so sorry Bread. My heart goes out to you and your players.
>>
>>50510620
Long casting time isn't necessarily a ritual. Also a ritual with a prohibitively expensive components is hard to abuse.
>>
>>50509497
>Heart failure at 21 years
Congenital condition?
>>
>>50517386
But the whole concept of the elven curve blade is a two handed finesse weapon. If you take either away what's the point?
>>
>>50516860
I run a rule for weapons in 5e, that anyone can pick up a weapon proficency for a portion of resources and downtime, same as learning a tool or language. Within reason of course which means like a rogue can learn to use a net if he wants or a heavy crossbow, But a wizard can't suddenly grab a maul unless maybe he is a Mountain-Dwarf, or wants to take Warhammer proficiency first.

Then added some "Exotic proficiency" weapons that akin to Adamantine armour and Mithral armour, are generally "Rare" to find and count as an uncommon magical item for treasure or trying to commission one.

Elven Courtblade, 1d10, Heavy, Two handed, Finesse.
Spiked Chain, 1d8, Two handed, Finesse, Reach.
Ect. Not sure what else I can add or include that isn't just a flat upgrade over existing weapons.
>>
>>50515010
>>50515098
>>50515109
>>50515451
Sorry for the late response, I was out eating lunch. So autism aside remove the teleport scaling as it is completely broken(which is what I figured).

Should that be fine as is, or should I change it to be not teleporting but "as apart of this attack, you may disengage as a bonus action"?
>>
>>50517464
Do you know anything about congenital heart disease? I'm a young adult who may have it but don't know.
>>
>>50517621
Spiked Chain already seems like a really heavy upgrade over a whip. Two-handed finesse weapons in general are hard to gauge, because a lot of classes that want finesse weapons tend to not be using both hands anyway.

Basically, anyone who was using a Rapier and no shield has no reason not to use one of those.
>>
>>50517657
>Bonus action disengage on a cantrip

What the fuck are you doing
>>
>>50517739
Sorry, just sorta put down the first thing that came to mind.
>>
>>50517833
It should be fine as is, if you REALLY want to numb it down, make it "If you hit, you may spend a bonus action to teleport to a square adjascent" but it really doesn't need that.
>>
>>50517675
Isn't that like saying that someone using a longsword and no shield has no reason to not use a greatsword? That's the whole point right?
>>
>>50517867
Many guys who use finesse weapons like Rogues, Bards and often, Casters usually have a free hand anyway due to no shield proficiency, so why wouldn't they also want reach?

How about if the spike chain only did 1d6? Is it worth the Two-hands, expense and training over a whip even then?
>>
>>50517867
Most classes that get longswords have shields, so it's more of a tradeoff there. Finesse classes are often the ones that are stuck using Whips, Rapiers, or Ranged weapons, so they basically get nothing but benefit from it.

Compare the spiked chain to a whip for example. Who was using a whip before, and who's going to use it now? Nobody, because if you were using a whip you were probably just a Rogue relying on sneak attack and hoping to hang back more. Now you can basically use a rapier and still hang back with no penalty, or a nice bonus if you get in there.
>>
>>50516972
>Invest in property, bonds and business ventures
>When next you return you will have 1200 Gold
>That's a 33% return on your money, you can't get a better rate anywhere.
>>
>>50517659
>I'm a young adult who may have it but don't know.
Anon don't ask for medical advice on an uyghur mural painting forum.
Get yourself checked by a cardiologist, chest tightness (which is a very common symptom for a lot of very mild issues, so don't panic) is enough of a good reason not to get laughed out of his office.
>inb4 it's expensive
It's your health anon. Just fucking go get checked.
>>
>>50517850
>>50517833
No, it should rather be 'if you hit with this attack, that target can't make opportunity attacks against you'
But that isn't so exciting anymore.

It's basically just a buffed, weapon-based 'shocking grasp' then, anyway.

Wait, isn't that what it is in the first place?
>>
>>50518036
Leave it as the NothinPersonal smack a guy then appear behind him, the teleport isn't really tactical but it's cute flavour.
>>
How do you feel about women who play male characters and men who play female characters in tabletop roleplay?
I'm considering rolling a female for the first time (human warlock or half-orc fighter probably)
>>
>>50518216
If your group isn't a bunch of immature autists who can't keep from making it sexual, it's fine
>>
>>50518216
>How do you feel about women who play male characters and men who play female characters in tabletop roleplay?
Short of the player being known for magic realms, it's fine.
>>
If you get a crit with Green-flame blade or Booming blade, do the extra effect dice double as well, or is it just the initial attack?
>>
>>50518257
it's okay, gender swapping doesn't make my wee-wee stand up.
>>
>>50518082
The flavour is the problem, because it's not fitting at all for a cantrip.

Better off as a magic item's property.

>>50518260
I know for sure booming blade's secondary doesn't.

Not so sure about green flame blade.
>>
>>50518283
>gender swapping
Oh anon, it's not just that. You're not planning to slut out your character in every tavern, prostitute her, abuse seduction worse than a drunk bard, etc. are you?
>>
What's a good school for hob wizards? Evocation only, or could I justify Abjuration?
>>
>>50518216
Perfectly acceptable. If they're doing it to get their rocks off we either have other problems (lack of communication, among other things) or we've agreed on it beforehand.
>>
>>50518343
Abjuration seems more fitting.
>>
>>50518300
Seems fine for a cantrip to me. If you're going to argue that "You can't teleport as a cantrip, like MISTY STEP is a 2nd level spell!" then explain how wizards dare throw Firebolts at will when it takes a 2nd level spell slot to dish out scorcing rays.

A shitty range, situational and ill-functional teleport is perfectly fine as a cantrip and has no issue with any set lore in 5e.
>>
>>50518305
heavens no, they'd be reserved (not pure though, obviously) and slow to trust as well as quick to temper
>>
>>50518406
Is it your intention to allow it to teleport you through thin walls? because it sounds like that's what it's capable of
>>
>>50514717
So..... a Pokeball?

You'd be a D&D Pokemon trainer
>>
>>50518406
It makes it very easy to teleport 5 or ten feet, which can easily overcome a lot of obstacles. Need to get through a locked door? Just stab a mouse outside it while you look through the keyhole.
>>
>>50514717
If you are after >>50518455

Then the real answer is to just play a UA ranger and fluff the beastmaster skill as a domination effect.
>>
Any Oath of Vengeance Paladin build advice?
>>
>>50517037
2d4 has same maximum but higher average than 1d8.

Basically, very rare but mundane masterwork weapons
>>
>>50516860
rapier but 2d4 and slashing
>>
>>50518406
>>50518485
Again, it's not about balance or anything.
Scorching ray fires three rays. It assumes not only the wizard can make fire, but also fire several rays in a short space of time.
Firebolt simply requires the wizard to make fire and throw it. That's easily cantrip material when so many cantrips do that.

Teleporting at will is ridiculous, though. It falls into the 4e category of 'Well, if I can teleport and make an attack, why can't I do that out of combat, too?' so that you have a dicklefuck wizard that no longer moves around normally, but just teleports everywhere 'because they can'. And if you don't allow them to teleport everywhere, you're stuck trying to tell them why they can't do it when they have a cantrip that lets them teleport at-will.

That's totally fine allowing teleport at-will if your DM is running a chucklefuck world where magic happens every day and even peasants wield it, but most of 5e isn't designed for that.
>>
>>50518546
I'd suggest doing as another anon said above, change "you can teleport" to "you propel yourself", so it still gives you some mobility and even makes more sense with name "Gale Blade", as the gale pushes you around.
>>
If it's a 'move 5ft in any direction', something like a blast would make sense as it'd blast the user back.
If it's a 'move 5ft around the enemy' attack which honestly doesn't seem very useful, I'd imagine something more tornado/twister like would make sense as they're moving around what they're attacking.

In the end, forced movement from, say, thunderwave doesn't provoke opportunity attacks, so that actually works out.

>>50518537
That's basically +0.5 damage. Sticking it as a rapier that doesn't look like a rapier is probably fine, as always having to fight with rapiers if you want that kind of weapon is a pain.
>>
>>50518506
Full Dex. Variant human for Medium Armor Master at level 1. Scale mail armor, a shield, and a rapier.
>>
>>50518546
Scorching ray fires three rays, it assumes the wizard can make fire but also fire several rays in a short space of time.
Firebolt simply requires the wizard to make fire and throw it.

Misty step teleports thirty feet. It assumes the wizard can not only teleport, but can do it at least thirty feet.
Galeblade simply requires the wizard to make an attack and land it to teleport 5-10ft, easily cantrip material.

Why is teleporting so much "Higher magic" than fireballs and lightning.
>>
>>50518846
Because a pair of level 2 Abjurayion mages will basically be able to chain-punch their way down main street.
>>
Alright people, anon who originally asked for balance help regarding Gale Blade(not the anon who made Thundercrash).

From what I've been reading(haven't been responding to many posts) I've seen two suggestions for final draft. So I'll ask which is more balanced/flavorful.

1. "you can move 5 feet without provoking opportunity attacks"

Or

2. "you can move to any unoccupied space around the target without provoking opportunity attacks"

The former is arguably a little more powerful, but it allows you to do hit and runs on characters/classes that normally wouldn't have it. The second however acts as a sort of teleport, but without the teleport flavor and you're also chained to whatever you hit.
>>
>>50518928
And a pair of level 2 necromancers can walk down the street fondling each other with chill touch, what is your point?
>>
>>50518846
>Why is teleporting so much "Higher magic" than fireballs and lightning.
fireballs and lightning are making a portal to the planes of their element and bringing them through
to teleport you must open a portal to another plane TWICE, once to leave, once to enter. Thus, it takes more magic.
>>
>>50518942
Just keep it as a teleport, it's literally one autistic Anon who is sperging about it with nothing to back up his claim other than slippery-slope arguments. Mechanically it is fine, Thematically it is fine, he is talking out of his ass.
>>
>>50518965
>fireballs and lightning are making a portal to the planes of their element and bringing them through
Suddendly evocation as a school makes a lot less sense. Are you sure your explanation is canon?
>>
>>50518846
Take a look at all the cantrips, anon.
They do things like 'make a flower bloom' or 'you light a torch' or 'you zap somebody with a static touch' or 'you make a tiny ring appear in your hand for a round'
They're all things regular magicians in real life could easily emulate.

That's way different to misty step, even if misty step takes 10 rounds to cast and only teleports you 10ft.
>>
>>50518973
It's literally everyone but you and the original anon who thinks it's actually ok
>>
>>50518942
I'd say the second. If you want the first, use Shocking Grasp.
>>
>>50518951
You mean two necromancer can murder each other using their murder spells.

As opposed to an attack can trip with really abusable utility to the degree that nonlethal attacking a friend is a more useful use of it.
>>
>>50519000
>Regular magicians could emulate channeling eldritch blast
>>
>>50516688
AFAICT, only making a noise breaks stealth of an invisible creature, not touching someone. You may say that's RAW faggotry, but so is "everyone automatically knows the location of an invisible creature because it whispered."
>>
There ain't nothing wrong with a short teleport on a cantrip. Actually, that would be good for the game balance.
>>
>>50519001
Original anon here, I haven't really been partaking in the discussion at all. I just came here wanting to see if it was broken and needed fixing, as I suspected it was.

>>50519010
Alright, that makes sense. Different cantrips for different jobs so as not to walk on any toes mechanically.
>>
>>50519028
They could, with a static shock.
A really big static shock in an isolated area.
>>
>>50519114
Eldritch blast is force damage, and beam form.
>>
>>50518942
Gale Blade
Range: 5ft

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, the target takes lightning damage equal to your spellcasting modifier and a powerful wind moves you to an empty square adjacent to the target.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 lightning damage to the target, and you can be moved an additional 5 feet away from the target. The damage roll increases by 1d8 and the movement increases by 5 feet at 11th level and 17th level.

If anything, by mixing teleport with lightning damage, you had a cantrip using 2 different schools of magic, Evocation and Conjuration.
>>
>>50519146
So, aside from the most powerful and alien/otherworldly attack cantrip that Wizards can't even learn, cantrips tend to be pretty basic effects.
>>
>>50519153

Jesus H Christ, we already settled that the scaling teleport distance was mind-numbingly retarded. Fuck off with that
>>
>>50519146
Electricity can make 'cackling beams' or whatever they call eldritch blasts.

Well, I guess you could give the guy an electron gun. Still nothing like completely demolishing the laws of known physics in order to 'Nothing Personnel' somebody.
It's still, as other anon said, a very basic effect of 'energy is propelled in a straight line towards a target and deals damage'.
>>
>>50519188
Not them, but I never got why the scaling movement was so bad when other things have scaling damage on a secondary effect anyway.

The movement doesn't surpass doing something like dashing unless you're incredibly slow and it's not like you haven't already effectively disengaged, so what's the big deal?
>>
>>50519153
That seems pretty good. It does good damage, the repositioning can get you away if you're in reach of two enemies, and it's really nice if you're using the optional flanking rules.
>>
>a magician can defy the laws of physics by making water instantly freeze without releasing any heat or changing the atmosphere at all.
>>
>>50519291
Who says it isn't offset by the heat another magical creature emmits by yawning some fire?
>>
>>50519291
Who says he doesn't release any heat? Maybe it goes to another plane.
>>
>>50519323
It might be, but that would involve instantaneous transmission of energy across distance, which would break relativity in half.
>>
>>50519227
>haven't already effectively disengaged

What the fuck are you talking about? It's a melee attack cantrip. A teleport that puts you more than 5 feet from the target is a free disengage with no action. It completely breaks action economy ON A FUCKING CANTRIP

If you can't see what's wrong with it then go back to making your d&dwiki homebrew
>>
>>50519337
>a wizard is permitted to do complicated energy transfers across interdimensional barriers, but not have someone quantum tunnel five feet.
>>
>>50519350
Who says its instantaneous?
>>
>>50519392
Then you're destroying and later creating energy.

Another big violation.
>>
>>50519411
Who says it gets destroyed? It can still be transmitted, just slowly.
>>
>>50514748
bump because I'm 500GB in and don't want to miss 5e
>>
>>50519387
You're going to struggle to combine laws of thermodynamics with D&D classical element laws. But whatever.

Heat inherently tries to travel toward the elemental plane of fire. Tiny planar pockets to all elemental planes constantly open and close, allowing the planes to influence [world of your choice], but heat energy always escapes to the plane of fire, causing entropy. Freezing spells create a brief concentration of these pockets exploiting the inherent polarity of water/fire. Just as the heat energy escapes to the plane of fire, a small amount of water escapes to the plane of water. Usually this goes unnoticed as the water expands as it freezes.

Happy?
>>
>>50519429
>Energy moves slowly
>Is somehow guided through the universe by nothing to reach a wizard casting fireball.

This still involves information being transmitted faster than light (how else does the energy know where to start going at the start)

So no, still violating physics pretty hard.
>>
>>50519355
But adding any more than 5ft movement won't give them 'double disengages' or anything, because they've already engaged.

Disengage isn't a very useful action in the first place.
'Dodge' is often better than using disengage as the enemy will still be able to attack, but they'll be unlikely to hit if you have actually good armour.
Many effects such as push effects do the same thing.
Shocking Grasp, a cantrip, robs the enemy of their reaction and thus they can't use a reaction attack.
Also swashbuckler and mobile let you auto-disengage targets you melee hit.

If you disengage, you lose the ability to dash (usually) and thus the enemy can usually just walk up to you again and whack you if somebody doesn't help you out. Disengage is more of a niche action.

But, I can understand if it lets you move 20ft with an effectively free disengage and then still move, that's probably too much, especially when you could probably use it to make 20ft jumps. That's almost as good as dashing away with a disengage, so eh.
Maybe a 'also, push enemy 5ft away at level 11' but no additional effect at level 17 and 5 would work out.

Still, I don't think 'you move 5ft from the target if you successfully hit and thus break action economy' is a good point since shocking grasp already does this to one creature. 'You move 20ft from the target if you successfully hit' might be, especially if there's difficult terrain or ledges or something.
>>
>>50519494
Who says the info needs to go faster than light? It could just go at the speed of light, with how long some spells take.
>>
>>50519489
You misunderstand. I think people pretending one violation of physics is worse than another is retarded. This is magic. But as long as the autists are going to do it, you might as well point out the violations in the "innocuous"ones.

Imagine a teleport cantrip. A wizard is able to partially view fae paths, and track his friends and himself through them. No double portal nonsense, just higher dimensional shenanigans. And perfectly in line with the lore.
>>
>>50519387
Quantum tunneling is one thing, but quantum tunneling an entire person and everything on them perfectly and reliably compared to the question of where the heat goes when you freeze water is...
There's a big gap there.

Who says it doesn't just leak away into the surroundings?
The latent heat of fusion isn't as bad as condensation, anyway, though some of the cantrips that let you move water/earth/whatever around do have some pretty weird implications when you put the math to it.
>>
>>50519546
The energy needs to know what direction to head instantly, as soon as it is released.
>>
>>50514748
There's this one from another *chan. It's not as well-organized or complete but it's got all the important stuff.

https://mega.nz/#F!UsRUlLAR!-5YN6nV_QeOO97Gu6CE-sg
>>
>>50519603
Says who?
>>
Shit, it's magic, ain't gotta explain shit.
If you need a place to disperse the energy or draw it from, just say 'the weave' or something vague like that.
>>
>>50519599
Do you know how much energy would need to be released to instantly freeze a five foot cube of water initially at an arbitrary temperature?

I'm pretty sure it would be enough to ignite flammable substances suspended over the boil blood, and otherwise constitute a serious risk of harm to anyone standing next to it.
>>
File: no_way_out_by_bobkehl-d8sikak.jpg (351KB, 800x585px) Image search: [Google]
no_way_out_by_bobkehl-d8sikak.jpg
351KB, 800x585px
Original Anon here, taking everything talked about and considered thus far, would this be a better final product?

Gale Blade
Range: 5 feet

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, the target takes lightning damage equal to your spellcasting modifier and you can move to any empty square adjacent to the target without provoking opportunity attacks. If no other creatures are near you or the target, you may instead move 5 feet away from the target without provoking opportunity attacks.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 lightning damage to the target. The damage roll increases by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.

Or should it just remain as is without the added on 5-foot step?
>>
>>50519609
Says the people standing or swimming near the water who would otherwise be hurt by energy being released into them as it waits for info.
>>
>>50519563
Sure. I'm just lorebuilding.

>>50519603
You know how if you let go of a ball, it instantly knows to head down? It's like that.
>>
>>50519645
8/10, would take on Blue Dragon Sorcerer
>>
>>50519645
>without provoking opportunity attacks

You have learned nothing
>>
>>50519645
Just keep it a teleport, it's cooler that way.
>>
>>50519645
Amusingly allows movement right across a gargantuan creature, or perhaps, on top of it.
>>
>>50519665
You already don't provoke opportunity attacks by circling around someone.

The only way this lets you disengage is if there's a second enemy you're trying to get away from.
>>
>>50519659
Gravity was interacting with the ball all along. A wizard was not casting fireball all along.
>>
>>50519674
I'd argue that the target getting zapped and causing a small tornado around them for you to ride on is far more thematic and cool than teleporting.
>>
>>50519683
this also means it doesn't provoke OA's from other enemy creatures that might be next to it and you.
>>
>>50519684
But a magical creature that can handle such buildups of excess heat, like a dragon or a fire elemental, will exist all along. Then that creature offloads the excess heat when convenient.
>>
>>50519683
Moving to another space within 5 feet of your target can still allow you to move out of the range of a different enemy

____ (enemy) (you) (enemy)
(you) (enemy) ____ (enemy)

The spell as written would allow this without letting enemy 2 get an attack of opportunity which should not be permissible on a cantrip.
>>
>>50519633
The heat doesn't necessarily have to be transmitted in heating up the surrounding air. Could be sending out photons or neutrinos or something.

I think the elemental shaping cantrips from Elemental Evil are the most dubious, as Shape Water for example allows you to freely move over 3.5 tonnes of water.
They probably either didn't do the calculations or just thought that if they made it weaker, it woldn't be very practical and if they made it into a non-cantrip spell nobody would use it.

Seriously, what's the point of strength when wizards can go around lifting sheer tonnes with cantrips?
>>
>>50519728
And I don't see how that's a big deal. It's a really narrow circumstance, and it doesn't obsolete disengaging and getting away from both of them.
>>
>>50519738
Why should that not be permissible?
>>
>>50519684
perhaps "magic" exists without time? A bunch of higher dimensional energy that can only be observed once exposed to time. pulling this energy from the aether or what have you is an impossible feat for the layman but second nature to wizards, dragons and the like
>>
>>50519738
Hello, shocking grasp called.
>>
>>50519753

If you don't understand that a free disengage on a cantrip is broken then I don't know what else to say
>>
>>50519772
Shocking grasp doesn't allow that unless the one you attacked was the enemy on the right. If you shocking grasped the one on the left, the one on the right would still get an attack of opportunity.
>>
>>50519738
I specifically said that the only way it lets you disengage is if there's a second enemy. I know exactly what you're saying, I'm saying it doesn't matter.

The same effect could be gotten more easily by shocking grasping one enemy and then circling around the other, but losing out on the ability to do that when there's only one enemy.

If you're in a situation where your Wizard is surrounded by 3 enemies and you can use a cantrip to get away, you're either dead before your turn, or just going to take the normal disengage action and get away from all 3, because you're surrounded by 3 enemies.

This isn't some abusable feature. It's a small gimmick at most.
>>
>>50519665
>>50519728
>>50519738
Whoops, forgot to take that part off. The intent was to only have it ignore opportunity attacks on the 5-foot step. This was what I meant to put as a alternative.

Gale Blade
Range: 5 feet

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, the target takes lightning damage equal to your spellcasting modifier and you can move to any empty square adjacent to the target. If no other creatures are near you or the target, you may instead move 5 feet away from the target without provoking opportunity attacks.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 lightning damage to the target. The damage roll increases by 1d8 at 11th level and 17th level.
>>
>>50519776
Disengage is already too weak. Why do you think most combat is completely stationary?

Anyways, this isn't a free disengage. It's a situational way to avoid opportunity attacks from all but one enemy.
>>
>>50519792
That's pretty much it.

If you're using a cantrip that deals low damage but has an additional effect to help you 'potentially' disengage, you expect to get to disengage from that target. The exact thing you attack doesn't matter so much.

If you can move 5ft in any direction without provoking opportunity however, it will mean you can potentially avoid several attacks rather than just one, though. That's probably the only concern.

If you have to move to a space adjacent to an enemy, then you'll still provoke an attack from at least one enemy no matter what if you decide to run, and thus I would call that perfectly fine.
>>
>>50519776
The situations where this is superior to shocking grasp are situations where someone with either would disengage anyway.

One enemy? Shocking grasp lets you disengage.

Two enemies? Both let you get away from one by circling around the other

Three enemies? I'm a caster and I should get out of here, I'll disengage normally.
>>
>>50519864
>>50519864
>>50519864
>>50519864

New thread
>>
>>50517111
Why not both?
>>
>>50509472
fuck man sorry for your loss. here's hoping things get better
Thread posts: 403
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.