[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 581
Thread images: 29

File: 1391890485426.png (976KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1391890485426.png
976KB, 1920x1080px
>Latest News
Druid UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Last thread
>>50447430

Share your homerules on feats. Have you buffed any? Created any? Banned any?
>>
>>50454055
>>50453985

Thanks. I keep coming across people saying certain parts of Minotaur or Undying Light Pact are OP or unbalanced. Just wanted to know what I'm getting into.
>>
>>50455375
Yes. Especially on a Wild Shape Druid, since their physical ability scores are clearly dissociated. Mental ability scores I would definitely make them affect the Druid though, since they don't change on shapeshift.

Polymorph might be another story though.
>>
>>50455375
The effect is constant no matter if the Druid gets hit with it while in Normal form or Animal form. Shifting between the two does not change the Drain. Both forms are Drained the same amount; it persists.
>>
Ways to deal with a Halfling Arcane Trickster Rogue (reliance on Misty Step), who has a decently high AC (18), as well as Lucky, and godlike movement speed (45ft) at 10th level?

He's getting a big head because every fight he's dashing / bamfing around "nothing personnel"ing people.
>>
File: 855.jpg (44KB, 485x500px) Image search: [Google]
855.jpg
44KB, 485x500px
Dwarf-Fighter-Shadow-Monk-In-Plate-Armor, you've inspired me.
I'm thinking about running a Fighter 1/Sun Soul X. Sun Bolt has no stipulation about armor, weapons, shields, or even a free hand, so my plan is to use medium armor and a shield and max Dex, saving ki for mobility and bonus Sun Bolts and basically ignoring FoB.
So here's the question: Am I going way too far with the cheese if I ask to take Close Quarters Shooter as my fighting style? It'd give me +1 to hit with my Sun Bolts, ignore cover up to their full range, and even let me use them in melee range. Which is good; the character is for an Elder Scrolls campaign, a redguard, and in our stat writeup they get Dex and Con, so I can have great AC even without maxed Wis and can fluff the Bolts as fighting with a Sword Saint's Swords of Light.
I'm confident I could have fun with the combo, but is this too much splatfuckery to justify?
>>
>>50455545
Counterspell on the misty step.
>>
>>50455489
>>50455375
An attribute penalty that comes by way of magic shouldn't go away if a Druid shifts. It's one thing to close a bleeding gash in your arm by shifting into an entirely different form (especially one that doesn't have an arm), but consider how any other spell interacts with Druid shifting.

If a Druid casts Jump on himself, or someone maintains Haste on him, and he shifts into an animal, he is still Jumped and Hasted. How would the magical drain of a shadow's touch be any different? It's negative energy literally sapping away at life (positive) energy, not a mere withering of muscle.
>>
>>50455545
How the hell did he get a 45 foot base speed?
>>
>>50455545
>>50455574
Make sure when you do use it, you use the counter spell during a tough fight, and make sure the rogue gets his ass kicked abit, let him realize that he can't soley rely on that shitty combo.

The reason I say this is that you can't just introduce counterspell to every encounter for the sole reason to target that player.

So use it once, but make it count, teach him a lesson.
>>
>>50455545
>>50455574
Followed by a healthy dose of Hold Person
>>
>>50455604
My bad, it's a Half-Elf (wood elf) so he gets +5 for that.

Early early on in the campaign, before understanding 5e that well (coming from 3.5) I gave my player (the ranger) a belt that gave him +10 movement speed. He died, and now the rogue has it.
>>
>>50455545
An enemy Divination Wizard casts a save-or-suck on him. When he uses Lucky, slap him with a Portent.
>>
Most magic items are cancer.

>Items are literally just upgrades
>Players fight over who gets more upgrades
>Powers are too powerful for being common in 5e
>DMs still hand them out like candy anyway
>DMs expect to fulfill a 'quota' of magic items with magic items that just so happen to conveniently benefit characters
>Magic items often have very vague reason for being there. 'Oh, it's just loot!' or such. Only some artefacts that you often specifically hunt for have a history and purpose for being where they are.

Of course, it's fine if the DM isn't an idiot but hot damn, some items in even official adventures do little more than double the damage output of certain characters.
>>
>>50455217

>Your DM is a massive faggot.
>You should replace him.

I finished building my Flash-Gordon 80s Fantasy themed setting in november, emailed the group, seems like we'll be running my campaign starting in the new year.
He's also thinking of bringing his games from twice a month down to once a month.
>>
>>50455545
If he moves normally in to shank a bitch, he provokes AOOs from anybody he moves past. If he teleports in and moves normally out, he provokes AOOs outbound. He can't Disengage, Attack, and Misty Step since he only has one bonus action per round. No matter how he does it, he either ends his turn in the danger zone or provokes.

Also, readied actions are a fucking godsend. The ogre next to the mage decides "Imma grab that shit when he teleports over here" and wow he's taking all fifteen inches.
>>
>>50455545
>he dashes into a trap
>well done, turns out running straight at the enemy doesn't always let you run straight away again
>>
A Pc wants his background to be he was sexually abused/raped by his father and he killed his father out of revenge and now he atoning by becoming a monk. I told him it was inappropriate and to do something else, so he introduces himself to the party referencing that mentioning the child rape, I intervene and say I told you not to use that backstory.

"Why not? Why is that too heavy for you?"

2 players text me it's weird, it seems to go on ok until he decides to murder hobo for some enchanted weapons and won't fuck off when I stonewall the fact that he can't sneak and steal enchanted weapons at lvl 3

>the magical alarms go off as you set foot into the vault
>i go in, fails dex save
>you activate a magical trap
>roll wisdom
>nat1
>you deform and twist into a horrifying caricature of a person
>blood, bones that twist crack and mend and pieces of you that shouldn't belong to a dragonborn sputter off
>you begin to lose your self in the pain and see a bright light, you remember a name... And memories that aren't yours
>the previous you is all is all but forgotten as your form slowly settles into what appears to be a dwarf wearing chain mail
>you remember your name as default barbarian number 3

He laughed his ass off and is now playing an amnesiac dwarf barbarian named number 3, found in an enchanters vault
>>
File: jetliheavensword.gif (4MB, 400x269px) Image search: [Google]
jetliheavensword.gif
4MB, 400x269px
>>50455566
I see nothing wrong with this. Embrace the wuxia life, Anon.
It's not like it's possible to break the game with a Monk to begin with; certainly not a Sun Soul.
>>
>>50455705
just get/be a better DM
>>
File: ashley_by_kafuka5364-d64z5e0.jpg (290KB, 1000x695px) Image search: [Google]
ashley_by_kafuka5364-d64z5e0.jpg
290KB, 1000x695px
Is there an official Origin for Sorcerer that resembles a traditional witch? If not, can someone recommend me a well-balanced homebrew? What I'm looking for could be described as Sorcerer stats with Warlock fluff, I guess, but re-fluffing the Draconic origin doesn't quite work for me.
>>
>>50455566
Your damage with sun bolts will be shit because you use monk's damage that depends on not wearing armor/non monk weapons.
>>
What setting do you guys want to see next?

What classes do you want to see?

I'm hoping for a Factotum
>>
>>50455780
I think witches are closer to wizards than sorcerers given that anyone can be a witch with training
>>
>>50455780
A traditional witch is a warlock. Sorcerors, even the UAs, all get magic from their blood or heritage: warlocks are the ones that make pacts and bargains for their powers. If you really need to be a Sorceror, do Wild Magic.
>>
>>50455780
That's like asking 'is there an official bare-handed fighter that isn't a monk?'

If you want to play weird character set-ups, play pathfinder. 5e assumes you take the class that actually makes sense when you choose a character idea, even if they do humour people with things such as 'theurgy wizard'.

Also, as said, wizards are probably the second-best thing you'll get.
>>
>>50455802
Sun Bolts follow the damage progression without regard to weapons or armor though. No "same damage as your unarmed strikes" or mention of the martial arts feature- they simply use the table value.
Granted, starting off with 1d4 + Dex attacks isn't the greatest, but it's fun
>>
>>50455545
Sounds cool. If he's having fun don't try to snatch it away from him. At most do what another anon suggested and make one encounter specifically where that combo will get him fucked up.

But don't target him specifically over something he finds fun unless it's ruining encounters for everyone else at the table.
>>
>>50455802
At a bare minimum it seems you'd do d4 damage with Sun Bolts, since it specifies the damage is d4 (and not "uses your unarmed damage" or anything similar).

It uses the same wording for Martial Arts as far as damage increases go ("this die changes as you gain monk levels, as shown in the table") but, unlike Martial Arts' description, does not mention anything about being disabled by armor or shields.

Scaling the damage up despite wearing armor is probably not RAI, but there doesn't seem to be anything against it RAW. Even if it were stuck at d4, you're at least getting +1 AB at all times.
>>
>>50455719
Well there you go.
Wish you luck.

Just remember as a DM, the groups fun is your fun too. That will help you avoid most of the pitfalls of "that DM." (I have no idea if you have much experience DMing or not).

Try not to repeat the things that your DM did that pissed you off so much. I'm sure you understand this already, but player perception is everything. Hope you have fun.
>>
Thinking about rolling a Rogue, never played one before but I'm in the mood for some stealth action. What is more fun/strong Thief or Swashbuckler?

On the one hand Thief seems like a fun class especially if you're creative with your bonus action. Also you can get some healing via Healers kit+feat. Playing a dick who would do anything for cash could be interesting to play. But too many features seem very situational.

On the other hand Swashbuckler seems better for combat and not so situational. Playing a pirate and giving him some accent would also be a nice change of pace.
>>
What do you guys think of my monk home brew? be nice to get some feedback on my attempt to improve my favourite class https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTQ-YXYQROWByN_FuKAmOCgAF9KiHeAT3U_SnirnBmnOTZRkMOxQTuvnvDiKt8nXTnXULVq9-XYMWPI/pub
>>
Summoner class when?
>>
>>50455969
Where's my drill
>>
>>50455993
shepherd druid was just released in the new UA
>>
>>50455969
the crunch is pretty good
I was writing a long brutal paragraph about the fluff, but i'll cut it down to - it's not good.
>>
>>50455993
Conjuration, necro, and illusion wizards
Druid
Beast master ranger

These are your closest options. A dedicated summoner would honestly be annoying as fuck to deal with already slow and not so interesting combats that are ever present in 5e.
Unless of course the summoner used his summons more for utility, and less for combat. I could totally get behind an archetype like that.

But find familiar covers a shit ton of utility roles already. A conjuration wizard can also summon elementals later and not have to worry about losing their concentration.
>>
>>50455963
Both are perfectly fun archetypes, can't go wrong there.
>>
>>50455780
Wild magic would be closer, but closer still would be a Fey Pact warlock.
>>
>>50456028
>>50456042
Shepherd seems pretty good.

I just like the idea of being a zoo collector. Guess Druid is the only way to do that
>>
>>50456034
K senpai the central concept I'm aiming for is seeing the pattern in the universe and using that to achieve a sort of zen but its kind of inconsistent
>>
>>
>>50456042

god I hate druid summons

Fuck pixies holy shit. Druid takes 50% of combat time.

>Bard goes first "Reposition player, inspire X character, dissonant whispers, and that's my turn"
>Druid goes "hm, well, right, I'm going to summon one and a two and a three and four and ahum, let me look at the spell list hm.......
"

Seriously, I'm going to start bringing an hour glass and start dispel magicking the son of a bitch whenever he goes over
>>
>>50455574
>>50455618
Counterspell requires you to see the casting, and Misty Step has no Somatic component.

I know this because a jackass caster got away from the party that way
>>
File: Kiki's Delivery Service.jpg (84KB, 613x463px) Image search: [Google]
Kiki's Delivery Service.jpg
84KB, 613x463px
>>50455809
>anyone can be a witch with training
Wizard is my fall-back choice, but in this setting, witchcraft would be an innate ability passed down a bloodline and unlocked as the witch comes of age. That seems to be perfectly suited to the Sorcerer class.
>>50455815
>a traditional witch is a warlock
Warlock is a fairly versatile physical combat class. I'm interested in a feeble spellcaster with little or no weapon or armour proficiency; ideally one from a magical bloodline with Charisma-based spellcasting.
>>50455822
I don't think it's a weird set-up at all. I've seen a lot of witches in fiction that fit the archetype of a youngster inheriting a magical gift from a parent or ancestor. Harry Potter's concept of "magical blood" being a prerequisite for wizard study is one example. I was just asking around before cementing my character choice. I'll compromise on a wizard if that's the best option I have.
>>
>>50456142
I have a necromancer and a rogue in the party I'm DMing for. The difference in the time they take for their turn is insane most but not all of the time.

>Wizard thinks about where to position his wall of fire. Enemies have to take saving throws. He then tells his skeletons to attack all Winter Wolfes. All his 10+ skeletons pretty much have their own turn (I rule it so that they are right after the wizard in the initiative order).

>Rogue goes to an enemy attacks. Attack misses, he disengages. Turn over.
>>
>>50456165

it's why when I'm on Magebreaker Mode, I keep a Detect Magic on.
>>
>>50456198
Working on an Artificer homebrew, not sure how heavily I want to separate the alchemy angle for potions/flasks, and the part focused on temporarily empowering magic items.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>50456168
I mean if you're going to go with none of the conventions of traditional witchcraft why not just play a sorcerer and introduce yourself as a witch
>>
>>50455822
Okay, but seriously. What if I want to wear full plate and punch people with fists of steel?
>>
is there a repository of side-quest modules out there someplace?

I need Ideas
>>
>>50455780
I think Warlocks actually are the closest thing to the traditional Witch, what with the weird innate powers like speaking to animals and the dead, hexing with a look, and that sort of thing.
>>
>>50455705
>not giving out useless but fun, novelty magic items
>turnip magnet, strongly attracts all nearby vegetables; created by a lazy farmer
>dye wand, randomly changes the colour of fur, hair or clothing fibres; gnomish prank item
>poultry flute, playing it casts a Command spell that only works on birds below 3 INT; young wizard's hobby project
>squeak choker, when worn around the neck, strongly raises the wearer's vocal pitch; tailored for a gruff-voiced lady bard
My players are the sort of meme lords that cherish this stuff more than the actually useful magic items.
>>
Still looking for input on how to play my seer-themed divination wizard.

How can I make it a useful tool for the dm to provide confusing visions and omens to the party, and less annoying for my party members?
>>
>>50456168
Probably just wild magic sorcerer then.
>>
>>50456108
Yeah, I like shepherd a lot as well.
But I think if I were to DM for a druid shepherd PC they will HAVE to have their creature statistics on hand or else that shit isn't gonna be cast because it will take up too much time.
>>
>>50456222

Here's how Potion Brewing Works

Potions reproduce spell effects that target Self for spells you know, that have concentration times that don't rely on having to actually keep a concentration

The price of service for a spell is Spell level * 10* Caster Level, which for a PC we assume it's a minimum. The 50% discount for doing your own service gets offset by the price of consumables

So, a Potion of Barkskin would be 60 gold pieces.

The DMG gives you a guide of how you can craft a magic item by expending the appropriate spell slot and progressing at a rate of 25 GP a day.
A recent variant rule homebrew that has gained some popularity, is to allow an extra 5 gp progress per point of Proficiency in a relevant skill such as Alchemy
You can also produce a formula for your potion at a similar progress with proficency in investigation, at one step of rarity higher

Drinking too many potions in a day, gives your potion sickness

Considering that, you can make an alchemy wizard subclass by balancing around those factors. Wizards double the speed of spell storing of their chosen school, so maybe double the production of potion speed, add a save bonus for potion sickness, and lower the formula for a step equal to that of the potion.
>>
>>50456279

Then do it.

And be outclassed by someone in full plate that slices people with a great sword of steel.
>>
>>50456342
Some people are building one, but it's not finished. It's called Adventure Lookup
>>
>>50456168
>Warlock is a fairly versatile physical combat class. I'm interested in a feeble spellcaster with little or no weapon or armour proficiency; ideally one from a magical bloodline with Charisma-based spellcasting.

Then just be a Wild Magic Sorcerer.
>>
>>50456400

Or a Warlock built feebly with little or no weapon and armour proficiency
>>
>>50456399
cool.

anything for 3e 3.5e?
(I didn't want to start a new general just for that.)
>>
>>50456168
Yeah I'd say do wild magic sorc.
Being unable to control your magic well fits in line with the being new to your powers bit, and as wild magic sorcs increase in power they can better control their surges.
>>
>>50456198
>>50456142
The worst are people who A) have complicated classes that can do involved things, and B) do not think about what they want to do or the specifics of that until their turn arrives
>my turn
>I move here, attack this guy twice / use this item
>caster's turn
>hmm.. hmmmm... I guess I'll... no... what's the range on this
>hmm.. okay i'll cast this spell... what does it do? what's my DC?
>oh and for my bonus action i'll... hmmm
>i guess i'll do this this other spell... oh wait, i think the range on that is too low... let me look.........
Takes literally 3-5 minutes to resolve even before the DM has to roll anything.
>>
>>50456445
It's going to be a searchable collection of adventures for all kinds of systems. The intent is for people to be able to find old adventures and modify or use sections of them in their campaigns.
>>
Should Pact Magic style spell slots be used again if a new class is made? What would an INT or WIS based Pact style spellcaster be like?
>>
>>50456477
COOL
non-D&D too?
any old resources out there I might tap?
>>
>>50456461
As a DM this is how I know which of my players are shit. When I know what their to-hit and spell DCs are better than they do.
>>
I like the Terry Pratchet model, where Witches are more like Bards, really, with most of their power and usefulness coming from their sheer presence and reputation, but with their fucking disruption powers wreaking havock on even the mightiest of magical individuals, which suits well to people who can add half their proficiency to Dispel Magic and Counterspell checks

But ultimately, witches already exist in Dungeons and Dragons, they are called Hags.
>>
>>50456357
That works better in a high-magic campaign where it actually makes sense.

In a medium-magic campiagn where you won't find mundane tasks replaced by magic, I'd rather do something more along the lines of 'magic items have downsides'.

Fun, and they make people actually think about when they want to use them.

It's also good to make an item have a very general purpose, so that it doesn't just clog up the inventory for that one single time you really need an instant-summon cabbage.

Say, an item that digs out a cylinder deep into the ground below it and reinforces the sides to form a sort of magical instant well for a bit. It could be used for water, hiding in, to trap an enemy...
But it doesn't last forever, and it'll collapse after perhaps an hour, and you can't spam wells all day long.

Or, a ring of cold resistance that burns all your body fat and makes you really, really hungry when you wear it and if you get hit by cold magics. You can't wear it all the time or if you're low on food or for a really, really prolonged fight in the cold, but otherwise it works wonders.
>>
>>50456461
So instate a 1~ minute turn timer, or stop playing with dumb people
>>
>>50456498

A new way to value Intelligence would be nice.
It takes an above average DM to make non wizard Intelligence be worth shit
>>
>>50456567
This.

Honestly though, I just think bards as powerful as they are in their current state should have an INT dependence. Which, I believe, makes sense considering they're all about recording history through songs, and passing on knowledge of various things, etc. etc.
>>
>>50456603
I've also thought about switching warlocks to being Int casters regardless of what their patron is.

Most of their fluff comes from signing contracts to earn forbidden knowledge and such. Being able to comprehend and use such knowledge should require intelligence.
>>
>>50456619
I always figured the arcane secrets they learned were shortcuts. Really simple things that their patron gives them. Charisma is to determine how good they are at convincing their Patron to give them the good stuff.

It's the difference between a Wizard hacking into something and a Warlock asking nicely for the password.
>>
>>50456530
You don't happen to have the flowchart for the Discworld novels do you?
>>
>>50456357
It feels good being in Eberron where I can distract them with shiny things to slow their actual progression with proper rare magic items.
>They stole a headband from an old noblewoman that causes natural seeming hair to grow
>A cheap magic item shop owned by a local quack/novice enchanter has items such as +2 Chopsticks, incense and teas across an entire wall, and a barrel full of water and his failed attempts at a Flamebrand enchantment, including a couple weapons/hat that can function as candles and some that affect themselves with Heat Metal when their command word is spoken
>>
So is it worth taking GFB or Booming Blade as a Swashbuckler through being an Elf or taking a feat?

You could use these against lower AC enemies where you know that you will likely hit, and use two weapon fighting against high AC enemies to make sure you make use of your sneak attack.
>>
>>50456498
There's a homebrew somewhere of a Shaman class that uses WIS based Pact Magic. Haven't looked too closely at it.

I imagine the design space for that could combine 4e Shaman, 4e Warden, and 4e Seeker as archetypes of a spirit manipulating class, where the archetypes use spirits to distinctly assist them, empower their bodies or infuse their weapons respectively.
>>
>>50456719
BB on swashbuckler is cancer and you should feel bad if you do it
>>
File: 1464288214834.jpg (1MB, 2000x3589px) Image search: [Google]
1464288214834.jpg
1MB, 2000x3589px
>>50456706
I have one
do you have a website with 3.5e modules I could look at?
>>
>>50456428
Aka the warlock, yes even a bladelock
>>
>>50456754
Why exactly? It has a nice synnergy with the taunt skill and their free disengage against enemies they attack. Or are you saying that using good strategies is cancer?
>>
>>50456376
I know how potion brewing works. I'm aiming to make a separate class that can focus on it, rather than trying to slap it onto a Wizard.

My plan was to allow an Artificer to make a certain number of free potions per day, mainly just basic healing ones alongside Alchemist's Fire and Acid, sort of in place of spells. Alongside that would be things to create more temporary magical weapons for their use or the use of party members.

My question was how heavily I should divide them, like how much potion making should a weapon artificer be using.
>>
>>50456668
In my mind it takes a long time to become a wizard, which is why most human wizards should be older in their years.
Where as a warlock could be a younger human by comparison. Gaining their powers quickly but still needing to be intelligent enough to understand.
>>
>>50456789
Pretty sure he's just a salty DM.
>>
>>50456760
There are plenty of 3.5 books in the share thread troves.
>>
>>50456719
I wanna make a bugbear assasian with booming blade for a total of (4d8+22d6)x2
More if magic weapons are involved or i get some sweet sweet buffs.
>>
>>50456893
>assasian
sounds hot
>>
>>50456890
I never know what books to look into
>>
>>50456836
That's the thing though. A Warlock is skipping the fundamentals. For a Wizard to learn how to cast a Fireball, he has to know all of the formulas, materials, and methodology of what goes into one. He understands fully why the Fireball works.

A Warlock doesn't do all that. He's shown the shortcuts for the hand symbols to make and the words,to say, but he probably doesn't comprehend why that makes a Fireball, except on the most basic level.

A Warlock isn't steeped in understanding like a Wizard is.
>>
How would you goodfellas run a city campaign?
Any tips, tricks and suggestions?
>>
>>50456953
Look up Vornheim the Complete City Kit.
>>
>>50456947
Oh don't get me wrong, I perfectly understand your argument.
I'm just saying it's not so far fetched to have an int based warlock in my mind either.
Int is also tied to memory. You can memorize the hand waves, the words, etc. without needing to know why they work and use int for that purpose.

Int, as is, is the go to dump stat.
>>
>>50456953
>>50456966
>Look up Vornheim the Complete City Kit.
I second this, also, its on the /osr/ trove, go check it
>>
Circle of Moon or Circle of the Shepard?

I can't figure out which. What seems nicer from a flavour and out of combat standpoint? My DM wants roleplay more than combat. Both seem to have options for that, but not being able to talk as an animal kind of sucks.
>>
>>50457006
Yeah but on that reasoning int should be required for every class. You need to train, study and memorise all kinds of things no matter which class you are.

If you need to sit down and write formulas and notes for your magic in my mind you're a wizard, even if a fiend was the one who taught you how to cast.
>>
If a Tabaxi uses its feline agility skill while dashing do you have 90 or 120 speed?
>>
>>50457006
The thing is, making another Int based class won't make Int less of a dump stat. It's a dump stat because it doesn't influence anything unless you have a class feature for it, which most people don't. Other ability scores do other things or have more skills/saves that are useful.

I like the suggestion I've seen where higher Int can give you extra languages and tool proficiencies, and higher strength can give you some extra movement speed.
>>
>>50457066
You don't have to write it down as a warlock because you learn a generally small amount of spells overall.

A wizard on the other hand, keeps a book, because they need to know and continually practice their fuck-huge number of spells they know.

Being that warlock and wizard are both arcane casters int seems fine. Sure as a fighter you need to remember how to swing your sword, but those are very basic movements and are tied to their muscle memory far more easily than a complex hand gesture.

But if you'd like, I wouldn't honestly be opposed to making int have some degree of importance for every class. Like I said, it's just such a complete dump stat you wind up with bands of heroes all running around with 8 int unless they've got a wizard in their midst.
>>
>>50457115
I'd say 120, but I haven't paid any attention (from official sources) to how these things interact
>>
>>50457115
Feline Agility doubles your speed (from 30 to 60). Then you dash, which gives you extra movement equal to your speed (so 60 on top of your existing 60). So 120.
>>
>>50457123
I admit those are a better solution. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks str is also pretty shafted. I just feel like int needs to have another class more heavily tied to it.

An introduction of psionics could fair well for it.
>>
>>50457156
>>50457145
I have always ruled it as dash simply gives you extra movement equal to your base speed. And would rule the same way for tabaxi.

So I'd say 90. I might be wrong as far as RAW, though.
>>
>>50457156
So if you first dash for an extra 30 ft (for a total of 60), then you use feline agility you double your speed, which gives you an extra 30, since dash doesn't double your speed, just allots extra movement?

So in that order you would end up with 90?
Seems silly.
>>
>>50457115
It says "the increase equals your speed, after applying any modifiers."
The Tabaxi one says "you can double your speed until the end of the turn"
Seems like they're both doubling your speed.

You start with 30. You Tabaxi-burst to have 60 speed. Then you Dash-increase it by 60, since that was your speed.
OR there's start at 30, dash it to be 60 (aka +30)...and then you tabaxi-burst it back up to 120.

Either way, multiplication ends up with 30*2*2.
>>
>>50457183
>I have always ruled it as dash simply gives you extra movement equal to your base speed. And would rule the same way for tabaxi.
>So I'd say 90. I might be wrong as far as RAW, though.
There's no such thing as your "base speed." Your speed is your speed. You're wrong RAW and RAI.
>>
Anyone knows any good homebrew that has a dragon patron archetype for the Warlock?
I've seen one a little while back but I can't find it anymore, even after looking through all my books.
>>
So Tabaxi Swashbuckler with Booming Blade sounds really good. You could move to an enemy 60 feet away attack it and move 60 feet away again. If you want your Feline agility back, Rogue can easily switch to a bow for a round.
>>
>>50457312
Oh, alright, good to know.
I was using "base speed" simply as a stand in for "original speed" but I understand your point. It hasn't really come up in my games since people typically just dash once. Good to know for the future though, cheers.
>>
>>50457368
I'm currently playing a tabaxi swashbuckler/wild magic sorc with booming blade for this express purpose.
>>
>>50457407
So how is it?
>>
>>50457345
This one?
>>
>>50457123
I don't like either of those suggestions.

It makes the people in plate armour the fastest and means people will know too many languages.

The problem is the globally useful stats (Say, dex gives initiative and con gives health) also have some of the most important saves.

I don't think there's an easy fix for 5e except silly things like including a lot of strength-requiring challenges or items that need high int to use, but really what should happen is that the next edition of D&D really needs to make it so stats are a customization thing, not a 'You need this if you are X and you don't use this at all if you are X.'

>>50457368
It's pretty good, but being a swashbuckler you don't get booming blade for free like arcane trickster does.
Also, swashbuckler doesn't really work as well with a bow if I remember because the only situation you can not sneak attack as a swashbuckler is using a ranged weapon or some really weird case where you have enemies that are hostile to the enemy, right?
>>
>>50457421
I've really enjoyed it. Having a climb speed is also really great in case there isn't much horizontal direction to move.
>>
>>50457433
>Also, swashbuckler doesn't really work as well with a bow if I remember because the only situation you can not sneak attack as a swashbuckler is using a ranged weapon or some really weird case where you have enemies that are hostile to the enemy, right?
No Swashbuckler can proc Sneak attack just as easily as the other Rogues, they just have one more option to get it in melee.
>>
>>50457431
Honestly seems very underpowered except for the very last ability which is good for making enemies have disadvantage on saves.
>>
>>50457459
Yes, but that just means they should avoid bows more than the other rogues, especially when they have booming blade.
It's also good for them to remain in melee so that they can get reaction attacks if needed, with swashbuckler having some of the best reaction attacks of all classes (other rogues will frequently find that an enemy might not let you get the sneak attack requirements as it triggers a reaction attack).

... Second only to a rogue using booming blade with a reaction attack. Stuff of nightmares.
>>
>>50457477
I'd actually like to see the breath replaced with a once per rest ability, but with a possibility of recharging like an actual dragon's breath attack.

Don't look to me on how to balance that though.
>>
>>50457431
I don't think it was that one. It had rules that changed your Eldritch Blast into the element of your patron, IIRC. And a few extra invocations.

>>50457477
Gotta agree with that a little. That level 10 ability is pretty low powered, IMO.
>>
>>50457512
So how is Sentinel on a Swashbuckler then? Getting more opportunity attacks sounds really nice.
>>
>>50455705
>most DMs handle magic items poorly
Fixed it
>>
>>50457590
Sentinel works just as well with other rogues because to get the reaction attack from sentinel the enemy also likely qualifies for sneak attacks.

It sort of works. If the enemy attacks you, uncanny dodge. If the enemy doesn't attack you, sentinel attack.

It's a shame you only get one reaction, but it does certainly work if you want to get multiple sneak attacks in one round.
>>
>>50457433
>I don't like either of those suggestions.
>It makes the people in plate armour the fastest and means people will know too many languages.

True. I'm still trying to sort out the specifics myself. So for I think it would require heavy armor to reduce speed by default once more so that you'd need high strength to help make up for it. As for the Int based one, it'd work better if you were forced to alternate between languages and tools, so you could get 3 languages and 2 tools tops. Or just make it tools and restrict it to Artisan, Gaming, and musical instruments, just so there's some benefit.

Really though, why shouldn't the Fighter with 20 strength in full plate be running laps around the elderly mage with 8 strength?
>>
> Want to make a treasure map for my PCs to lure them into doing exploration and loot collecting
> Grab piece of paper since I want them to actually have to keep track of it
> Can't fucking get an idea where to start

How bad would it be to do a treasure hunt in Spelljammer?
>>
>>50457645
>Really though, why shouldn't the Fighter with 20 strength in full plate be running laps around the elderly mage with 8 strength?

I like this, and also like the idea of armor restricting movement. You could easily have the default calculations of what the str scores addition to movement and the armors drawbacks are to roughly cancel (or downright cancel) each other out.

It would also give a unique option for strong fighters who wish to be mobile, to sacrifice their AC and be rewarded with high mobility if they take off their armor.

Barbs would also be fucking fast muscle machines and could enable them to easily get where they need to be in combat in order to better tank.
>>
>>50457645
But if you did that, then the barbarians would be superspeed instead and heavy armour would have even worse. I'd at least like to see heavy armour get a buff if it gets a nerf.

Tools and languages are unlikely to be awfully useful, though. Nowhere near as useful as +1 to a skill every level, anyway. But that doesn't really fit 5e.

Every problem fixed just creates more problems, unfortunately.

And, well, if we get to saying 'strength also represents leg muscle strength for running fast' then couldn't we be saying 'strength means more beef, meaning you should get more health from having more strength'?
.. That's not really the problem though. The problem is strong people want to be strong. People who put stuff into strength want to be fast (Even if dex is more fine motor skills and reactions normally). Strength should probably have some other benefit instead, it's nice to keep everybody at a similar speed anyway.
>>
>>50457673
If you have to ask, it's a bad idea. If you don't have to ask, it's a good idea. The difference is you.
>>
>>50457724
>>50457721
>>50457645
Hmm. What if you need a certain strength threshold, for example 13 or 15 to move normally in heavy armor? This would make sense, caster classes wouldn't be able to easily strap on heavy armor and run just as easily as martials unless they were just as strong.

Crazy right?
>>
>>50457721
Yeah, I think maybe +5ft for each point of strength, and either having heavy armor lowering it by 10 at default, or cutting the bonus speed in half, meaning closer to +10ft at best.

Either way, that's a 55ft move speed at 20 strength with no armor, 40-45 with it, and 25 speed if you've got low strength and 30 speed default.

>>50457724
I don't see how Barbarians being superspeed is an issue. Maybe remove their fast speed by default to even it out, but you're talking about someone with a 24 strength cap who can make really great athletics checks. I think being able to sprint faster than a level 3 Rogue is fine.

I agree that tools and languages aren't too useful, but they are nice incentives to not dumb strength. It's similar to how people will often put 12 into Cha to have their character be slightly more friendly in their mind. Being able to snag blacksmith tools or a musical instrument by simply sticking a 12 in Int can be pretty nice to flesh out a character.

And really, that's the goal. Int doesn't need to be amazing, it just needs a reason to not dump it always.
>>
File: Dragon Knight.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Dragon Knight.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50457431
this is kind of shit, honestly.

>>50457345
i wish there was better draconic options given how dragons are literally half of the game's name. neither of these are mine but i wonder how everyone feels about them.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420020-Paladin-Sacred-Oath-Oath-of-the-Scale
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420006-Warlock-Patron-Io-God-of-Dragons
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420199-Barbarian-Primal-Path-Path-of-the-Dragon
>>
>>50457784
Yes. But why not further reward people who exceed that str threshold by even more than what is required?

This is simply my opinion, but I feel like a lot of fights in 5e are very stilted and lack mobility. Added more movement options is a good idea in my mind.
>>
>>50457815
Well, I think it's alright with having fast barbarians.

I think I'd feel more bad for, say, monks, who already have three stats they need and then their class feature is going to be stolen by the people with high strength.

I think int is more a concern though. Wizards shouldn't really have a load of artisan tools by default, and the tool proficiencies are mostly fluff anyway. +speed makes sense but languages are mostly for roleplaying. More languages on a wizard does sort of make sense, though. Yes, you could have a miner wizard, but wizards often devote a lot of their time to wizardly actions.

Int could be used for a major skill as major as perception. Say, 'mechanics' to understand traps and the like. Int could also be used for crafting items, or as a requirement, or..
Right now the best way to make int viable is for the DM to introduce a lot of int-based challenges.
>>
>>50457838
Fights in 5e are stilted and immobile because of opportunity attacks, not because of move speed.

There isn't anything worth using reactions for other than opportunity attacks, so they are almost always a consideration in the players mind.

There isn't a good way to prevent opportunity attacks without foregoing your ability to deal damage or move. Stopping damage is stupid, because monsters often have even more damage in their normal turns.
>>
>>50457784
Most casters can't even wear that heavy armor in the first place, these restrictions do nothing.
>>
>>50457890
Sure, but someone with more movement speed in plate armor has a better chance of not being hit from AoO and, say, a protection pally, might need to run to the midst of his long-ranged companion who is being flanked and vulnerable.
>>
>>50457838
Fighters don't even need that extra speed most of the time, they're tanks and controllers, they aren't zipping around the entire map like Rogues and Monks. It won't do them any good.
>>
>>50457869
Yeah, this probably affects monks the most. Personally though, I feel like Monks should basically get the Mobile feat by default.

That said, Monks do have other advantages over a Strength based character, like better Initiative and being able to Stealth.

That aside, it is a pretty basic change, and while speed is nice and this does kind of steal from Monks a bit, I think it's overall a good one.

As for Wizards, consider one starting with 16 int. Assuming we go for the idea of them having to alternate, this will either give them 2 tools and a language. A language is easy to justify. As for tools, many things exist. They could get Alchemist's tools, Calligraphy, Cartography, Painting, Jewelry, there's lots of fitting ones. And aside from those they could get a Dragonchess set or musical instrument. I don't see anything wrong with a Wizard having such things.

Investigation is also probably supposed to be the important general Int skill, but it just never gets used due to people not getting what it's for.
>>
>>50457890
>>50457972
Yeah, extra movement will help, even if it is just to reach ranged enemies faster or cut a wider circle around someone blocking your way.

>>50458040
It does give them more options though. This is mainly to give extra incentives for using Strength compared to Dex on classes that get the choice, and to give more of a downside to dumping strength entirely.
>>
>>50458069
You'd do better by having AC key off Armor+STR instead of Armor+DEX. Fighters aren't built to take advantage of huge movement speed like Monks and Rogues are, and the major reason to dump STR over DEX is because it can fill in for both better defense and offense easily.
>>
>>50457827
This is looking pretty good, I especially like the Oath. The warlock option isn't exactly the one I saw, but it's certainly my backup if I can't find the original one.
>>
What would be some good Warlord archetypes?
>>
>>50458111
They don't need to be built to take advantage of it to get an advantage from it. It might not make a difference most of the time, but that's where the other benefits of strength, like using polearms and bigger weapons and being able to carry more come in.

The point is to give strength a little extra something, not nerf Dex to make it terrible.
>>
>>50458140
fighter 4/bard 16
>>
>>50458163
I didn't say "builds," I said "archetypes," as in for a warlord class.
Unless you mean "just play a fighter/bard," in which case I'll say "no."
>>
>>50458157
Dexterity could use a bit of a nerf. Not a huge one, it still has Dex weapons, it's still a stronger saving throw than Strength, it still gives a bonus to initiative, Monks still get to use it as AC even when everybody else doesn't. Strength helping armor would just make Dex builds more fragile, which is pretty much how most Dex weapons work as fighting styles.
>>
>>50458140
Warlord should be an archetype. Just make it use different battle maneuvers than a Battle Master, t's homebrew you don't need to worry about it being too wordy.
>>
>>50458219
OK, I get that this is a prevalent opinion, but my group and I (and other players I've talked to) happen to disagree. You are entitled to your opinion, but personally I'm looking to make a good homebrew class and would like archetype ideas.
>>
>>50458194
Think of it this way.
If str affects movement speed, then having a negative modifier will also be bad for dex classes that typically are about having more movement.
Gives them a reason to perhaps reconsider dumping it entirely. The difference won't be huge because they have more movement options already, ie the rogue can dash and the monk has increased movement, but having a negative might now actually be a negative for them.
>>
>>50458260
D&D is based around players almost always having at least one dump stat. You can make it so that Dex characters won't dump strength, but they'll just dump INT, WIS or CHA instead. I'd rather not punish every player in the game and make them slow as molasses just because they wanted a character who couldn't judo throw a bear, just so that they think of Strength as more vital. The game needs less god stats, not more.
>>
>>50458260
Yeah. A Rogue is more likely to have 10 strength rather than 8, which makes a fair bit of sense. A Rogue shouldn't often be as feeble-armed as a Wizard, and this helps give incentive for it.

>>50458194
Again, I'm not trying to perfectly overhaul the balance of ability scores with this. My goal is more to make every ability score matter for everyone. Even if you're a caster with a crossbow, you'll notice somewhat that you have less speed from 8 strength. Even if you're a Barbarian, you'll notice some appeal in being able to get a musical instrument or the ability to cook.
>>
>>50458194
>umping it entirely. The difference won't be huge because they have more movement options already, ie the rogue can dash and the monk has increased movement, but having a negative might now actually be a negative for them.

I think mostly it's just that the under-utilized stats could use a buff. More serious saving throws related to str and int would be solve a lot of the issues I think. E.g. something like a series of spells related to gravity that require str saving throws to avoid the damage sort of thing.
>>
>>50458302
If every stat matters somewhat that doesn't make them god stats. It just means everyone can't pump THE god stat as easily.
>>
>>50458302
So what's bad about making it so dumping a stat is more meaningful? People already know to never dump Con, and rarely do so with Dex or Wis. What's bad about giving those other skills things that make people reconsider dumping them? What's bad about making someone who wanted a physically weak character be physically weak and slow at running?
>>
So I'm wanting to introduce the concept true names/naming from the Kingkiller series into my campaign. For those who have not read the series it is the concept that everything has a 'true' name and knowing that name gives you power over it. You tell a stone to break, it breaks. Usually only exceptionally talented folks find out a name or two.

Would this concept be game breaking? And do you have any suggestions for its mechanics in game?
>>
File: Wyrm Pact.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Wyrm Pact.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50457345
I found this.
>>
>>50458342
Movement speed matters to every class. Not boosting it, but nerfing it hurts badly. If movement speed is based on Strength, then anybody who doesn't pump it gets hurt: even Monks!
>>
>>50458387
What? A stat that hurts anyone if they dump it, and is still a bad idea to not pump?

Wow. I don't know what D&D would be like with a stat like that!

Good thing Constitution doesn't exist
>>
File: discworldorder.jpg (501KB, 736x1320px) Image search: [Google]
discworldorder.jpg
501KB, 736x1320px
>>50456706

actually...
>>
>>50458413
There shouldn't be multiple stats you can't afford to dump, because it limits your options. It will just mean everyone who isn't a bard/pally/sorc will just go back to dumping charisma.
>>
>>50458387
Monks retain their movement gained from class features.

If people treat 8 as a negative to that particular ability score it should be a negative. Because you are "below average" in a sense. A wood elf with 8 str still runs as fast as his wood elf friend that has a 20 str? Odd.

In essence it wouldn't effect too much depending on what the crunch was and would instead be more of an incentive to consider not dumping it. If for each +1 or -1 str mod you took a + or - 5 movement speed, it wouldn't do much to hurt people, and would do way more to buff those that invest in it.

For most people they'd be looking at a -5 movement if they dumped it. Meanwhile, someone who pumps it gets to take an extra 25 movement speed increase.

Like I said, crunch can vary, but that would be the idea.
>>
>>50458380
This is very solid and balanced, didn't like the expanded spells very much tho
>>
>>50456818
>My plan was to allow an Artificer to make a certain number of free potions per day

You can do that with any Wizard and Fabricate.
>>
>>50458358
Flat 1d20 roll with disadvantage with a DC of at least 15 or 17.
>>
>>50458460
All of it? If not, which parts?
It seems pretty fitting to me, but I'd like to hear your detailed opinion about it.
>>
>>50457058

Circle of the Moon Ghostwise Halfling or Conjure Cranium Rats / Cranium Rats or Raven as Find Familiar
>>
>>50458444
>bard pally sorc or warlock will dump cha
Maybe. I suspect many rogues will still want to keep it higher than average.

Cha does have negatives if you dump it, but not everyone needs to be the party face. I would agree that there should be more cha-saves though. Regardless, players that want to be able to have more RP options, through successful persuasion/deception/intimidation will not dump it. That's plenty incentive.
>>
>>50458413
Every player already can't afford to dump CON, and never want to dump DEX. STR adding to that makes half the stats in the game too strong to even consider getting rid of.

>>50458448
If half the monsters and players are running around at twice the speed of the others, then that's definitely changing balance in a strong way. Monks retain their movement from class features, but now their best class feature makes them barely on par with other classes (or makes them just as MAD as they used to be, which is even worse.)
>>
>>50458444
That's the thing though. You can totally afford to dump these, it just actually has a drawback.

If you don't want a drawback, then don't minmax and dump stats. Make something more well-rounded.
>>
>>50458501
Roleplay options exist regardless of your Charisma score, only the party face ever needs to actually roll those Persuasion and Deception rolls (and literally everybody uses Intimidate as a Strength based ability check anyway.)
>>
>>50456279
Variant human, tavern brawler feat, and typical fighter two weapon build. You're basically trading d6s for d4s (1 point loss per attack), but gaining on grapples.
>>
>>50458503
>Monks retain their movement from class features, but now their best class feature makes them barely on par with other classes

How so? Do you expect str based fighters not to wear heavy armor? If they don't then they're in big danger of taking a hit as they will more than likely have really shit AC.

The barb could have his extra movement feature removed and simply gain the extra movement based on their str. They still wouldn't end up as fast as monks though.

It would also open up the option for str monks to be another option. You would sacrifice AC like a fighter potentially could (by ignoring dex) and instead use strength, while in the process gaining a big burst to your speed.
>>
>>50458503
For the record, I'm not suggesting to apply this change to monsters. Maybe NPCs, but I presume a monster's given speed would already take into account those differences from size or strength.

Most of the time, this is going to result in Fighters going around 40 and Wizards going 25. Dwarves and Wood elves already exist and neither breaks the game.
>>
>>50458515
>then don't minmax and dump stats
Whether you're rolling or doing point buy, there are always going to be dump stats. There's never been an edition where this wasn't true.
>>
>>50458529
>have more

I didn't say they didn't exist without charisma. But being able to successfully bluff your way past a guard as a rogue isn't something you can necessarily have your party face do for you at any given moment.
>>
>>50458545
Nobody in their right mind would dump their Wisdom for movement speed. Monks without their Unarmored Defense are worthless.
>>
>>50458547
I can get a character with a 15 13 11 10 10 10. Pick the right race and you've got no dumpstats to worry about.

>But that's less optimal!

Then take a dump stat and accept the consequences. Stop whining about how you don't want your penalties to penalize you.
>>
>>50458572
I said dex. And honestly, they probably wouldn't, but the option would exist if you want to roleplay a kenyan.
>>
File: IMG_0655.jpg (254KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0655.jpg
254KB, 900x1200px
So, what's the verdict? Is druid a fun class?
>>
>>50458587
Dumping their Dexterity is even worse!
>>
>>50458494
Looking it again, I think it fits well (Were you trying to give every dragon 'type' in the spell list?), only phantasmal killer and geas doesn't make sense to me. Also, where is elemental blade? I don't remember seeing it on the PHP, and I think every spell should be there.

I also like the hoard sense anility from the other homebrew as a 'ribbon ability'.
>>
>>50458600
It's my favorite class to be honest. Wild shapes have so many uses I can come up with.
>>
>>50458600
Yeah it's fun, it's just a little wonky mechanically because it doesn't have a dedicated role in the party.
>>
>>50458621
>>50458625
What are your thoughts on druid's spell list? I find it pretty lacking...
>>
>>50458572
>>50458606
Here's the thing. This suggestion isn't really screwing over monks. It's more revealing a pretty heavy flaw with monks, which is that they absolutely have to start with 16 dex and 16 wis or they lag behind severely.

Monks already don't have any freedom with where they put ability scores, and that's more of a problem with the monk class specifically, rather than giving ability scores more weight.

A better answer would be to let monks get some extra damage and AC by default so they have a bit more wiggle room for their stats.
>>
>>50458606
Sure, if they dumped it. But they probably wouldn't. And most probably wouldn't ever touch this idea.

But it'd give a big boost to anyone who wants to try out a str monk like so many have in the past.

It basically goes back to what >>50458584 said.
It would be a minor penalty AT MOST and a reason to not take an 8. Monks already likely don't want to dump str anyway if they take advantage of jumping.

The ones it would effect the most would be casters that would still want to dump it and take a -5 if thats what was decided.
>>
>>50458649
Yeah the spell list is one of my bigger gripes which is why I mentioned wild shapes and not spells.

They should just give them more elemental options. I liked the idea of giving them spells (not concentration) to buff weapons akin to what their shillelagh already does. But perhaps adding extra elemental damage at the cost of a spell slot.

Would be useful for non-moon druids and also help them fulfill another role as a buffer. I don't mind them not fulfilling any specific the best, as in my mind, they've always been a great hybrid class. I enjoy the versatility.
>>
>>50458656
>A better answer would be to let monks get some extra damage and AC by default so they have a bit more wiggle room for their stats.

Call me crazy but I think giving them more ability score increases like the fighter would help them tremendously. As an archetype that's about perfecting mind and body, you would think they would train their body "faster" than others.
>>
Is there any similar supplements to Kobold Presses Book of Lairs?

I fucking loved their dungeons and look forward to running some. I know about a few one page dungeons, but a lot of those can be fairly shit.

Also would anybody know a link to a decent dungeon creator software?
>>
>>50458718
monk and rogue get 6, fighter gets 7, everyone else gets 5 but wizard, who gets 4?
>>
>>50458718
True. Extra ability score increases would also probably solve the issue entirely. At the very least they should have as many as a Rogue.

Then at the very least, while the earlier levels might be a bit of a struggle, it'd be easier to catch up afterwards.

I'm still not entirely sure how 16 AC and d8 hit die is barely enough for a Monk, but a Rogue is running around with 14 AC and the same. Is it just due to being able to go ranged?
>>
>>50458743
Add Bard to the list of people who get 4 and I can get behind it.
>>
>>50458743
Monk gets 5... wizard gets 5

Are you okay?
>>
>>50458612
Oh I didn't make this. I got it a while back from some forum. I agree with phantasmal killer. I have no idea what Elemental Blade is. Though I think Geas isn't as bad a pick as Phantasmal Killer. It falls sort of in line with the idea of dragons (especially evil ones) loving to dominate others with their will. It's not a perfect pick, though.
And what do you mean by 'ribbon ability'? I have to admit I'm not familiar with the term.
>>
>>50458770
Oh never mind, I'm retarded. I didn't realize you were making a suggestion.
>>
>>50458778
i was gonna leave a scathing rebuttal but you corrected yourself so...cheers to you?
>>
>>50458774
ribbon = for fluff

I'm talking about this homebrew >>50457431
>>
>>50458809
Oh right.
Yeah, I liked it too. Best part of the homebrew, IMO. Think it could work fine as an Invocation?
>>
>>50458140
Tactician(Strategist)
General(Commander on front lines)
Chaplain[Or archbishop].
>>
>>50458809
I didn't make that homebrew. It was just one of the homebrews I've got in my trashpile of homebrews I've saved.

If you make it look pretty I'll probably save it, /tg/
>>
alrighty tg, looking for some advice. I'm a new dm who just ran LMoP for a group of newbies. We're moving on to SKT and my players are creating new characters. One originally wanted to be a tiefling and I pushed back some but he was able to come up with a good backstory(having been taken in as a baby by a wizard who shaved the horns off and teeth down to resemble a human) and I'm trying to not say no. So I told him he could as long as we keep it a secret(both IC and OOC) and he is going to try to hide his identity for at least some time, knowing his character will most likely not be readily accepted. Ok cool. Then player 2 comes up and says she wants to play a dragonborn. I didn't give her an answer and I don't wanna say no, but there's only 3 PCs and the tiefling's identity is gonna come out at some point. I don't want them going into town and being hated and I don't really wanna stifle their creativity. So I guess my question is:
How do you handle dragonborn and tiefling races in your campaigns as both DMs and players? Do you just say no or allow it but the PCs face some amount of difficulty, be it great or small, in common areas?
>>
>>50458829
I think it should be just an extra ability, it's not very strong, and warlocks don't get much invocations too
>>
>>50458848
also is there anywhere besides the PHB where I can read about lore and such regarding dragonborn?
>>
>>50458831
How would a chaplain make sense as a battlefield commander? The idea is interesting, but I'm not sure I fully understand it.
>>
File: 1465385097241.jpg (746KB, 1252x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1465385097241.jpg
746KB, 1252x1800px
>>50458883
If I'm remembering correctly, a lot of armies in history had traveling bishops and priests(or equivalents) so they could be blessed for the battle. The Chaplain idea is just an extension on that, instead of being a full time battlefield commander they focus more on the support-ish aspect for the soldiers. Being a pillar of strength to the faithful is just as important, and fills a niche as far as archetypes go.
>>
>>50458855
Fair enough.
>>
>>50458848
Aren't dragonborn not hated, but just viewed with a "healthy" caution?
Sounds to me like your tiefling is playing a human with tiefling mechanics and setting up some potentially good RP later on. You should drop some clues about their true nature along the way, otherwise it will be a kind of "Wtf" moment and not in a good way.
The dragonborn shouldn't face too much shit in my opinion. But if something bad happens, you could have some NPC try to blame it on him. He might face more problems with giants who really hate dragons even though he's technically just a dragonborn. But they're gonna be facing giants anyway so who gives a shit.
>>
>>50458930
That's a really cool idea. I'll see if I can think of ways to make it work.
Of course, being a warlord, he'll still have to wade into battle and hit things... but he'll also have divine-flavored abilities.
>>
>>50458848
tieflings aren't hated, just viewed with fear and superstition generally.

In the very first town in SKT there's a Tiefling living amongst the town with no issue.

Dragonborn aren't viewed with fear or superstition at all. Maybe some peasant child who has never seen or heard of one before would be afraid of one if he came strolling into town, but in Faerun dragonborn are pretty well known just like tieflings

also you guys don't need to make new chars. SKT is specifically made to be very easy to intergrate coming from LMoP, it literally has stuff in the book suggesting how you might do so.
>>
>>50458946
>Aren't dragonborn not hated, but just viewed with a "healthy" caution?
thats what i was kinda gathering from the PHB. I just don't want it to become too much of a trouble if, later on, the tiefling's identity becomes well known(perhaps reaching towns before the party), then the filthy demon has a lizardman with him when they arrive. I guess it could be fun but I don't want them to feel like i'm punishing them for their choices. I had forgotten about the fact that giants hate dragons, that could create some good times
>>
>>50458994
So a Cleric or Paladin then
>>
>>50458930
That sounds exactly like a Cleric.
>>
>>50459007
thanks for the input. I didn't really think of the tiefling in the first town. Do you think she'd have an edge in seeing his true identity? Just curious
The point of the new character creation is to give some understanding as to how the character creation goes, with them having played the pregens in LMoP. Just trying to teach them different aspects of the game
>>
>>50459026
Clerics do represent that archetype, but there might still be room for a holy knight-commander sort of thing.
But as I said, it's mostly an interesting option to think about. Not sure it'll make the cut.
>>
>>50459087
>with them having played the pregens in LMoP.

ew. Missed opportunity senpai, having characters progress over the course of multiple adventures is the best

anyway for the Tiefling maybe? she also has a son. I think she worships Asmodeus but it like actually not evil about it, she's a minor character so I dunno
>>
>be forever gm
>friend asks to gm
>excited to finally play, create character
>friend is 1.5 hours late to session and says he hasn't prepared and doesn't know the rules
>go back to being forever gm

Who thinks its ok to do that? Really
>>
>>50459102
Sounds like you should just make a new Domain or Oath then.

Oath of Command or Oath of Leadership or Oath of the Exemplar or Oath of Heroism

Honor Domain or Law Domain or something like that

>>50459156
you have shit friends bud
>>
>>50459181
Well, warlord is what I'm working on. If that concept doesn't work for the warlord, I'll probably drop it.
If you have any other archetype ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Current archetypes ("Schools of Battle"):
White Raven - focuses on movement and recovery.
Wolf Pack - focuses on flanking and disabling.
>>
>>50459156
yeah that kinda sucks buddy.
>>50459143
>Missed opportunity senpai
I debated over this for a while before we started. I eventually came to the conclusion that it would be better to start them off with the pregens then retire them as we move into a new adventure to teach them the rules of chargen. Kinda backwards I know but my thought was jumping into it with little prep on their part would make the game seem more interesting than going through the all of the tediousness of chargen before they even got to kill their first goblin
>>
>>50458946
What would an interaction between dragonborn and giants look like? Would they both hate each other or would it be a lopsided hate of the giants toward the dragonborn just because of their heritage? Or would a dragonborn hate giants simply because of their draconic heritage?
>>
>>50459252
5e chargen takes seconds

have em download a 5e character sheet app on their phone and a small babby child could do it in all of 30s
>>
>>50459252

You can always generate by having them roll their stats (minimum of two >15's)
>>
>>50459389
We actually just went through rolling stats in our last session after wrapping LMoP. I was a little generous, giving them 4d6, dropping the lowest, 7 times(instead of 6) and dropping the lowest out of that. As expected, one is a little overpowered having no stats under 10. I justify this with the fact that we only have 3 players
>>
is there any hope for an actual draconic class, rather than an archetype?

every time i get around the subject of making a good draconic character, i always get to the conclusion that for a character to Feel draconic, it needs more than just a chromatic resistance and flight speed at lv14+.

i want senses, frightful presence, a breath that actually does something and maybe natural armor/weapons.
>>
>>50459591
Just be a drac sorc dragonborn. that easy.

flavor stuff as dragon stuff. the level 3 spell "Fly" is now you manifesting dragon wings for the duration. ez.
>>
is war cleric/fighter multiclass any good?
>>
>>50459591
I would pretty much echo >>50459627

Dragonborn is nice for the breath weapon, and from there it's a matter of fitting spells. Fly for wings, Alter Self for claws. I'm sure there are some low level enchantments for fear.

I think the biggest thing I would want for a Dragon sorcerer is a melee cantrip that either uses a weapon or makes you grow claws.
>>
>>50459627
if there was a way to make a good melee sorc maybe, but then you try to do things right going with the same color/ancestry and you waste a handful of features. also for pure casters, dragonborn breath is complete shit compared to pretty much any spell you could cast.
>>
>>50459675
It's pretty solid. Depends on how much you mix them, but they both give good benefits.
>>
I'm DMing a campaign and one of my players is a druid with wild shape, and he gets a massive health pool when he uses it. What could I do to fight against wild shape?
>>
>>50459700
i was gonna go mostly cleric, up to fighter 2 early for action surge, then up to 5 eventually for double attack
>>
>>50459808
Have the enemies target other players, or have spellcasters use things like Sleep that will affect him based on the relatively lower HP of his current form.
>>
>>50459808
one time my druid turns into a bear and then the enemy had the ability to fly so i was stuck on the ground. I was kinda screwed as it was my last Wild Shape charge and i stood there for a moment unsure what to do.

Then we had the Barbarian throw me at the flying enemy.
>>
>>50459886
Good thing you had someone around with a strength of 26, because DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW HEAVY BEARS ARE
>>
>>50459368
For people new to the game, character generation still takes a little while. The majority of a person's time is just making initial choices.
>>
>>50459816
War Priest + Action Surge + Second attack gives you atleast 1 turn where you get 5 attacks. Pretty good imo.

And that is with no feat investment.

Admittedly a Fighter Dual Wielding Light Weapons can get 5 attacks as well with Action surge on one turn. But i guess they have to use Light Weapons and need that Fighting style.

I think War Cleric is stronger because you basically can get a second attack with a 2hander using your bonus action via War Priest. Admittedly though, there is a limit on how many times you can do that. But most combats don't last ALOT of rounds. And you can logistically push to have long rests between most combats.
>>
>>50459816
a fighter war cleric could be pretty great with GWM+GWF.

>>50459808
It's only a problem for like the first couple levels. Use mental stuff and debuffs on him rather than just damage.
>>
>>50460041
Long rests between combats? Assuming a dungeon delve, what kind of variant rules are you running?
>>
>>50460139
You can't do that? My DM didn't object last session. Admittedly we found a room with a door and barricaded ourselves in there and took a watch order.
>>
>>50460041
Long rests between combats are a bit unreasonable, but if you basically use it as often as an action surge, you should have enough. Assuming 2 short rests a day, that'd be 3 surges, and assuming 16 wisdom, that'd be 3 extra swings. At low levels especially it's as good as an Action surge in many ways. Plus you can just hammer down a boss if you save them up.
>>
>>50460155
That sounds fair. Nobody tried to bust down the door?

The group I was DM'ing for tried to do a short rest during a delve. They were properly paranoid. Of course, the baddies moved to parley as soon as the PCs left the basement.
>>
>>50460155
It's usually frowned upon, and is often unrealistic to expect the monsters to just let you do that.

After all, you barricaded yourselves in the room. What stops the monsters from barricading the other side to trap you in there and waiting for you all to starve?
>>
>>50460041
we have another great weapon fighter so i went shield and warhammer, and am gonna do duelist. I also plan on using action surge to double heal, heal/buff, or to do the 5 attack turn. I like the utility and damage potential if necessary.
guided strike on guiding bolt > divine favor, action surge, attack could be nice damage
>>
>>50460155
Long Rests are meant to be the rest you take after a whole day of adventuring

if you could just LR after every fight this game would be fucking retarded. Wizards casting Fireball or something every turn. no thanks
>>
>>50460216
The fact that most monsters don't have carpentry tools onhand?
>>
>>50460173
>>50460215
>>50460216
>>50460235

Admittedly i was the one who asked for the Long Rest because I am a wizard, everyone else in the group relies on short rests. And for the most part i pushed for it because I am a Divination Wizard and we've gone up a whole level without taking a Long Rest. We started at level 2. I rolled my Portent Die at the beginning of the game. I didn't get to roll it again until we took that Long Rest.

We were in the dungeon for 3 encounters before we took the long rest. Then we did 3 more encounters and were pretty much TPK'd. Might give you an idea of our DM's style.
>>
When do you let player's level up? Do you make them go back to town? or do you let them level up in the middle of a dungeon?
>>
>>50459323
I feel like dragonborn, despite appearance, are pretty removed from the same culture of dragons.
I'd say giants might dislike dragonborn because they look like the ones they hate, but I can't imagine many dragonborn have much reason to dislike giants.
>>
>>50460290
And the players do? How did the monsters install the door if they didn't have tools to do it? Even if they don't, why not just use rocks?
>>
>>50460311
I only let them level up after about a year of downtime, when they return to their masters and mentors to train.
>>
>>50460006
The lifting/carrying rules in 5e are stupid enough that a raging barbarian with decent strength and the Powerful Build racial feature could throw a bear 30ft into the air.
>>
>>50460311
I usually want them to at least take a long rest, which is often at the end of sessions or in town.
>>
>>50460318
Loose boulders are also hard to come by. Also hammers and such are included in many adventurer gear packs.
>>
>>50460311
Can't level in the middle of a dungeon, but otherwise they just need a long rest

>>50460319
kek. I actually had a GM once that made leveling require level x 100 gold and level x3 days to actually level up
>>
>>50460318
>How did the monsters install the door if they didn't have tools to do it?
Uh, the typical convention is that monsters moved into a ruined place.
>>
>>50460335
Hammers are, saws and things aren't.

You are being really generous in assuming the players have barricaded themselves in the one room of the dungeon filled with lumber, wood glue, and nails, and the rest of the dungeon is ornately pristine with not a single piece of loose furniture, debris, or anything that could be used to bar a door.

Why the double standard?
>>
>>50459675
Start fight, get to level 6, then switch to warpriest, and keep leveling that up, 6 fighter and potentially 14 cleric is great, you won't get the level 17 ability for war domain, but you end up with an extra ASI.
>>
>>50460385
Because three quarters of all monsters are mindless beasts or creatures so inundated with their own depravity and destructive impulses that the idea of barricading the adventurers in over tearing them to pieces yourself wouldn't occur to them. The remaining quarter are usually creatures of primal law, chaos, good, or evil and thus are motivated beyond simply surviving an encounter.
>>
>>50460419
>three quarters of all monsters are mindless beasts or creatures so inundated with their own depravity and destructive impulses
this is an outright lie.
>>
>>50460419
And said mindless beasts tend to be the sort of thing that are much stronger than a hastily made barricade, allowing them to break down the door and kill the sleeping party.

So in conclusion, sleeping in dungeons is a bad idea.
>>
Are the classes and other things in the community trove playtested or is it something I actually have to test before letting a player try it.
>>
>>50460443
It's called taking watch. Fuck, that has been a thing since D&D's inception, what the fuck is your problem?
>>
>>50460398
we have another fighter, and not enough casters so im starting off cleric for utility, but im thinking the 14/6 spread is the best. Im not worried about the 17 war cleric thing in all honesty
>>
>>50460453

The Unearthed Arcana classes are basically put out for public play testing for wizards. You can let players use them but they aren't always balanced as they are not official releases.
>>
>>50460216
Door hinges swing in one direction. If the door opens into the room, which mostly every door always does in the real world, then you can only barricade it from the inside. If the enemies just stack stuff outside we can just open the door inwards and move the stuff they stacked outside of it.
>>
>>50460440
I'm sorry. I should have known better than to have judged the feral and wild things of the world so harshly.
>>
>>50460455
What problem? I'm pointing out likely outcomes to sleeping in the middle of a dungeon.

Setting up a watch still won't help much when people have to put on armor and are still out of spells. If you weren't confident enough to continue to fight the next encounter, why is it going to be any easier when the next encounter comes to you?

You're making up incredibly silly reasons for why resting in a dungeon should never be met with any difficulty ever. Kobolds aren't crafty enough to bar the door. Those skeletons won't hack it down with their axes to get at you. The cultists will patiently wait to finish their ritual until you're awake. The Lich won't move his phylactery elsewhere.

8 hours is a long time. Why is it strange for things to happen?
>>
>>50460468
Pretty sure anon meant the Community DMs Guild Trove. You know, the second MEGA in the OP that nobody ever looks at?
>>
>>50460507
Because getting a long rest is one of the conventions of the game. Placing someone on watch and having a secure perimeter is what to do just so you can have a quick nap in the dungeon and it's always been that way. There are items and spells and class features that are all about making that even more convenient and easier. Having to trudge all the way out to a camp and then go all the way back in just wastes everyone's time. I mean, what the fuck are you adding but one extra step (hopefully you don't make them actually navigate step by step the way out)?
>>
File: whenyouseeit.jpg (245KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
whenyouseeit.jpg
245KB, 1200x675px
>>50455403
Hey guys I downloaded the trove but Volo's Guide to Monsters isn't in there is it? Just clarifying because I haven't found it in there and would like to get my grimy mitts on it at some point.
>>
>>50460507
God, you're one of THOSE DMs. You know, it's not really clever.
>>
>>50460558
It's in the trove. I think in the supplements folder.
>>
>>50460453
almost all homebrew is garbage

I think mercer's stuff and that pugilist class are the only things pretty much agreed to not be retarded.

A lot of UA is retarded too.

>>50460544
>Because getting a long rest is one of the conventions of the game

Yes and it's something that is supposed to be done once a day max, and at the end of the adventuring day.

There is a reason your Wizard needs a long rest to get any of his shit back. Wizards are hilariously strong.

A short rest in a dungeon is fine. A long rest is pretty ridiculous. You are not meant to receive a long rest in the middle of a dungeon after a tough fight. That's what short rests are for.

That's why every class in the game that depends on some sort of resource gets something back on a short rest (besides for sorcerers because WotC doesn't give a fuck about sorcerers)
>>
>>50460544
Getting a long rest after you've done the number of expected encounters per day is the convention of the game.

If you leave? Same thing happens. Monsters figure out you've been there, regroup, anything time-sensitive is a failure, anything valuable might be moved, etc.

It's the DM's job to provide a challenge. If you drop all your highest level spells on the first fight and then walk back outside to sleep, that's not very challenging is it?

You said so yourself that there are items and spells that make it easier, but why would those items exist if it worked like you wanted and nothing ever went wrong with taking a long rest?
>>
>>50460574
>There is a reason your Wizard needs a long rest to get any of his shit back. Wizards are hilariously strong.
Maybe after like level 12 or something, but by then taking a long rest pretty much whenever is trivial.
>>
>>50460565
>God you're one of THOSE DMs
>How dare you expect your party to actually fight the number of encounters they're expected to?
>We should be able to take a 5 minute workday. Why won't these cultists stop summoning demons while we sleep.
>>
>>50460507
>You're making up incredibly silly reasons for why resting in a dungeon should never be met with any difficulty ever

A) the resident wizard just has to take Leomund's Tiny Hut and now dungeon rests are now completely safe.

B) that's what putting people on watch is for. That's been a convention of D&D for decades.
>>
>>50460595
Who said how many encounters have been run? What if, like in my own game, I've gone two levels without a long rest? What about that shit?
>>
>>50460328
You can push, drag, or lift 30xyour strength. At 24 strength, you can lift and carry around 720 lbs. With powerful build, make that 1420. A bear weighs something like 1400 lbs.
So a level 20 barbarian can barely PICK UP a bear, much less throw it 30 feet upwards. It's just not happening.
Now, if you want to say "my group and I play by rule of cool and don't always go by the book," that's fine. It's a perfectly legitimate style of play. But don't tell me the rules let you throw a bear.
>>
>>50460603
>Leomund's Tiny Hut
I fucking love this spell.
>>
>>50460570
Just checked that. Do I have an older version or something?
>>
>>50460544
not him, but you're entirely missing the point. if you head back to town you still burn 16 hours of game time so the cultists will finish their ritual etc. its easy to forget after video games condition you to think otherwise, but the players are the center of the story not the center of the world. some events can and should continue without them.
>>
>>50460578
None of that sounds very challenging either. Annoying, maybe.
>>
>>50460603
Putting people on watch is for taking rests in the wilderness, where there are wild animals and random encounters to contend with.

It's this sort of entitlement that makes me want to use the gritty rest variant. Want to sleep after 3 encounters in a Dungeon? Fine, the entire dungeon is 3 encounters, total, and sleeping afterwards is a Short Rest. Now will you please go sleep somewhere that isn't laden with traps and monsters?
>>
>>50460593
You have to be blind, stupid, or totally ignorant of how the game works to think that Wizards aren't stupid strong.

I don't even know what to say here man, everyone agrees wizards are top tier and pretty stupid in comparison to other classes.

By level 5 you can do everything. The only class that competes is Lore Bard which is basically just a CHA based Wizard
>>
>>50460638
What ritual? What about dungeons that don't have time constraints? What about dungeons where the monsters are not on a single team? What about dungeons where there isn't some evil overlord scrying on you the whole time? You know, a fucking lot of dungeons?
>>
>>50460627
the largest bears are 1400 lbs, but the smallest are like 140 lbs. a lot of room for interpretation. and hell in the world of DnD, thats not that ridiculous.
only the greatest of heroes would be capable, but that is a fight worthy of legend
>>
>>50460631
If you download the entire trove, it doesn't stay auto-updated. You have to go in and download individual stuff when it's added

It's in there under Rulebooks -> Supplements.
>>
>>50460651
Then what do you consider challenging? Just one deadly encounter per day that you can blow all your spells on and make all the short-rest reliant classes less useful?
>>
>>50460664
pretty much this. either this guy is pretending to be retarded or he is retarded and can't see it.
>>
>>50460631
Are you sure you clicked the link for the /5eg/ trove?

The DM guilds trove doesn't have any pirated material. Only the /5eg/ one does.
>>
>>50460664
Wizards are a great class, but they don't dominate encounters until later in the game. What makes wizards great is that you can have a tool for any situation, not that you're going to be overpowering any trouble yourself.
>>
>>50460683
When did I ever mention that? I was talking about the concept of resting in a dungeon. That's all
>>
>>50460674
You're right. If the dungeon is some big chaotic superdungeon where there are multiple different factions of monsters, there isn't anything time-critical there, there isn't a single important item that might get moved if the players don't get there first, and there aren't any sort of regular patrols or scouts to take note of any strangely barred doors, then yes, feel free to take a long rest.

For the 90% of other dungeons, don't expect time to halt while you sleep. Again, those tools to make it easier to rest exist for a reason.
>>
>>50460603
A watch is meant to warn the group of an encounter with enough to to prepare for it. It is almost always meant to watch out for people/beasts who don't necessarily know exactly where you are, and to make it harder for those who do to sneak up on you because you can see them approaching.
When you sleep in a dungeon, if the monsters know where you are, they will sneak up to the door, blast it open, and shoot everyone before you can wake them up. It's not like you have a large field of visibility in a windowless room.

>>50460677
>140 lbs bear
Show me literally one bear who weighs less than me as a fully-grown adult.
>>
>>50460674
picture this, if you will. you live in a big apartment building, and a gang of 4 guys with guns busts into the lobby. they kill the door man, and clear their way through the first floor of the apartment, stealing 15000 in cash and some cool electronics. then they barricade themselves in an apartment on the second floor and decide to take a nap. are the residents really not going to call the cops? or barricade the door from the other side using whatever they can find if its a lawless area?

this is 70% of what happens while "just clearing some dungeons m8", and if you assume the goblins/kobolds/lich/whoever the fuck lives there isn't gonna do something about the adventurers thats just silly.
>>
File: 1280px-Malaienbaer_0744-2.jpg (145KB, 1280x867px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Malaienbaer_0744-2.jpg
145KB, 1280x867px
>>50460736
>Show me literally one bear who weighs less than me as a fully-grown adult.
>>
>>50460714
So, you find it annoying that you can't rest in a dungeon. You also don't find it challenging that the dungeon will bolster itself as you spend time resting to keep the expected difficulty of encounters fitting for a day's worth of resources.

Are you trying to say that you find it challenging to dump all your spells on two fights and then sleep for 8 hours? Because that's telling me you either want really hard singular fights, or that you just don't want to be challenged.
>>
>>50460736
sun bears, i work at a zoo with some
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_bear
>>
>>50460747
Yes, because there are kobold police.
>>
>>50460747
Yeah, trying to do this in a Kobold warren is incredibly stupid. You're going to wake up, find the door glued shut from the other side, find a mountain of traps surrounding the immediate area, a handful of kobolds with javelins or crossbows trying to kill you, and the rest of the warren picked clean and deserted as the rest of them left through the escape tunnels.
>>
>>50460765
>Are you trying to say that you find it challenging to dump all your spells on two fights and then sleep for 8 hours? Because that's telling me you either want really hard singular fights, or that you just don't want to be challenged.

I didn't say any of that. I objected to the idea that taking a long rest in a dungeon is now suddenly anathema.
>>
>>50460785
they take matters into their own hands you dingus, that's exactly what this conversation is about
>>
>>50460749
>>50460778
On one hand, I stand corrected. On the other, if you turn into this when you can turn into a brown bear, you're the shittiest druid ever.
Those tiny bears are pretty neat, though.
>>
>>50460736
>Show me literally one bear who weighs less than me as a fully-grown adult.
Water bear
>>
>>50460801
Let me set the record straight: Pretty much all kobolds are a shit tier encounter, senpai, no matter what memes would have you believe.

They're only kind of a threat when you are levels 1 to 2, you have no resources and shit for equipment.
>>
File: HereIsYourYou.gif (120KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
HereIsYourYou.gif
120KB, 500x276px
>>50460817
>>
>>50460804
It's anathema to any sort of pacing or challenge. It's also an anathema to any sort of belivability if you insist nothing bad occur while the party sleeps.

There are a handful of situations where resting inside of a dungeon is fine, especially if it's a particularly long or difficult one and there isn't as much that's time sensitive.

If you're exploring an ancient and dangerous tomb filled will all variety of monsters in search of a sealed chamber deep within? Yeah, you might be able to rest after clearing out a portion.

If you were hired to kill bandits in the nearby caves? Don't act surprised when you wake up and all the bandits have fled with all the treasure.
>>
>>50460730
Or you know, the monsters aren't intelligent and organized? So any dungeon populated by beasts or creatures of beast-like intellect or creatures who are not social like zombies or similar things. There are tons of encounter designs like that. Why's everything gotta be in the heart of some organized tribe who are especially on their game?
>>
>>50460829
Kobolds aren't dumb, you know. You sleep for 8 hours and they'll bring in some explosives.
>>
>>50460678
>>50460688
Yeah, sorted it now thanks guys.
>>
>>50460829
Right, so taking a Long rest in a dungeon is clearly a bad idea at levels 1 and 2.

Maybe it'd work better a bit higher, where you're fighting Hobgoblins instead and they have even better coordination and tactics?

Or maybe a bit higher, when it's giants who can easily bust down that door?

Or maybe when you're fighting Dragons, who'll probably have spells to deal with your resting nonsense?

Why are you unable to comprehend that breaking into a building, killing some people, and then sleeping in a locked room isn't always a foolproof plan?
>>
>>50460863
>and they'll bring in some explosives.
this or even worse, fill your entire camp with fucking scorpions... scorpions on fucking fire.
>>
How do you handle deception vs sense motive? Do you make them roll, or do you go with passive insight like with passive perception.
>>
>>50460863
Uh, man, Kobolds are dumb. Possessed of low cunning perhaps, but they are pretty stupid altogether. They're cowardly, prone to infighting, not really well organized, have strange and limiting superstitions, and are accident prone. They're trash mobs, and designed to be so.

You're thinking more of something like goblins or hobgoblins.
>>
>>50460855
>Or you know, the monsters aren't intelligent and organized?

Which are the ones that are more likely to just bust down the door and eat you once they get your scent.

Now rather than a single ambush, you get 8 hours worth of random encounter tables. Putting you right back at square 1 when it interrupts your rest.
>>
>>50460903
have you read ANY kobold lore?
this is literally the starting paragraph on volo's kobolds.
>>
>>50460919
One: It's actually kinda hard to bust down a door.
Two: Animals don't bust down doors unless they have been personally provoked and saw you close the door. It's just a wall to them. Seriously, you can put flimsy barriers up and an animal will walk around it until it finds an opening.
>>
>>50460903
Cowardly yes. However, they aren't really prone to infighting, and they are relatively well organized.

Read the Kobold's section in Volos. They make the most of everyone they have on hand, and they're more than willing to work together to ensure the survival of the tribe.

Goblins are the ones prone to infighting, but they're nowhere near as cowardly.

Either way, expecting them to just wait patiently and be baffled by the door makes you as dumb as you think Kobolds to be.
>>
Why aren't Goblins and Goblinoids fey creatures?
>>
>>50460976
Because they're native to the material plane and not descended from anything native to the feywild.
>>
>>50460938
Yes, I've read kobold lore from the beginning. They're a joke enemy, man. I haven't read volo's but whatever, they've been characterized as that in the four editions prior and they'll probably stay largely characterized that way. If you want to run them as dangerous little guerillas, go ahead, but they're still not really dangerous at all to adventurers with any experience.
>>
>>50460993
Are you sure you didn't read goblin lore and confuse it for kobolds?
Tuckers is a classic.
>>
>>50460965
>>50460938

It sounds super noble until you realize a level 3 fighter by himself could probably roll through an entire tribe of kobolds no sweat. Maybe level 2 if he has plate and good stats.
>>
>>50460993
Yeah, you know why they aren't that dangerous to adventurer's with experience? Because adventurer's with experience are smart enough not to try camping out in the middle of a kobold warren.
>>
>>50461015
Tucker was one fucking guy, only notable because he made the joke enemy dangerous. Even then he didn't really, those traps would have worked with any creature using them and would have been more effective.
>>
>>50460993
>and they'll probably stay largely characterized that way
well, you are wrong, i recommend you read volo's before pretending to know 5e's kobolds.

>>50461023
if your dm has no imagination then sure, but if he tries even a bit, a failed trap roll and that fighter is starving to death in some underground pit.
>>
>>50461023
Volos has quite a few CR 1 Kobolds. Sorcerers, Trapmakers, Dragonshields, not to mention the possibility of them serving a dragon and having any guard drakes.

I could very easily make a campaign stretching to at least level 8 focusing on Kobolds alone, without even homebrewing any statblocks.
>>
My moon druid just reach level 5 at the end of last session. So far, I hardly cast any spells in combat (maybe Entangle or Faerie Fire here and there before I wildshape) and mainly use my spell slot for Enhance ability or pass without trace.

Should I switch up my tactic? Are there any good spell I should cast in combat?
>>
>>50461056
Probably not, really. With normal starting gear, getting out of a pit is pretty simple. Not to mention avoiding traps is what 10 foot poles and weights are for.
>>
>>50461059
None of which are considerable threats. You'd have to bring everything in, all at once with traps, to threaten a fighter with kobolds. Otherwise, the actual encounter is with whatever allied monster and the kobolds are just dressing.
>>
>>50461110
>Encounters are only fighting a group of enemies in a room
Kobolds are Viet Cong, man. They generally keep to themselves, and they have the whole place rigged to blow when hostiles do enter.
7 mercenary lives and maybe a dozen out of a hundred kobolds dead, and their worthless dirt tunnels are cleared and the town is free of the terror of...their old garbage being stolen in the night, and potentially warding off other pest-like threats?
>>
>>50461110
>None of which are considerable threats.

Are you actually retarded? A handful of CR 1 Kobolds is going to kill a level 3 fighter, easily. 4 CR 1s is roughly a match for full party of level 4 characters. That's two dragonshields, a Sorcerer, and a Trapmaker. That is not at all unreasonable to find in a Kobold Warren, and doesn't account for any other kobolds.

As I said, I could very easily make this a campaign that stretched to level 8. It would be more focused on numbers, and allied monsters would be important for ensuring it didn't get too stale, but 8 of those kobolds would still be a decent fight at level 8.
>>
Guys, the only point of kobolds is to teach new players how to check for traps. If you don't know your traps, kobolds can tear a new one in green players. Once they've got a knack for spotting a trap situation, not just a perception check or whatever, then kobolds stop being a threat. As they should. They're a tutorial monster.
>>
>>50461110
pact tactics gives advantage on attack rolls so you are eating a couple of scorching rays to the face before even closing up to the sorcerers and can't heighten charm person before getting aggro, a single fighter has no way of taking out an entire kobold tribe if your dm isn't completely braindead.

i don't know what's your hate for kobolds but i think you are being silly.
>>
>>50461023
>a level 3 fighter by himself could probably roll through an entire tribe of kobolds no sweat.
Bro
Do you even 5th edition
>>
>>50461184
and they can heighten*
>>
>>50461168
The only issue there is just the dragonshield's HP. Let's see, at Level 3, a fighter can have 20 AC without particularly trying. The Kobolds are gonna have +3 to +4 to hit with any of their attack roll abilities. So let's assume the Fighter is not going out of his way to pump his AC, they'll need to roll 16, at minimum, to hurt him with anything they can do. They will have advantage on doing so with pack tactics, but that's still a pretty tall fucking order. They'd have to focus on Saving Throw based effects, but even then, there's no saying that the fighter wouldn't have a strength in that area depending on his build.
>>
File: 1475701017519.jpg (27KB, 460x368px) Image search: [Google]
1475701017519.jpg
27KB, 460x368px
>>50461219
>20 AC without trying
>Maximum with starting gear, devoting one arm to a shield and your fighting style to defense, is 19
>Better heavy armor costs far more than they could afford
Are you just hear to give this thread a stupid ending?
>>
>>50461219
20 would be a tall order at level 3, as that's very dependent on having plate armor. 19 is more realistic.

You are talking like 30 hitpoints, so that is quite a bit to get through. As you said though, they have advantage, and the dragonshields have a lot of health. With how long it would take, it isn't very likely that you'd outdamage them.

The Sorcerer will also deal if it manages to land one of the scorching rays, possibly even better if it can hit both.

Again, 4 CR 1 kobolds is a medium fight for a party of level 4s. I'm not saying it's going to be impossible for the Fighter to pull this off, but it certainly isn't the cakewalk you're pretending it is.
>>
>>50461219
>rolling over 20
>tall fucking order
yeah, no. with advantage +4 to hit, they are rolling over 20 44% of the time. a level 3 melee fighter is dying to a single sorcerer with positional advantage.

if the fighter is anything that doesn't get darkvision, he is dead even faster.
>>
>>50461279
Every thread needs a stupid ending. The only good stupid ending was the one about goodberry.
>>
>>50461279
>>50461280
Plate by level 3 isn't a big deal. As a fighter, unless you're a dex user, that's what your gold is going to go to.
>>50461300
So less than half of their attacks will hit, while the fighter can kill several varieties of them with one, maybe two attacks. Again, it's the dragonshield large HP pool that's an issue, really.
>>
>>50461347
>1500 gp by level 3
wew
>>
>>50461347
Except for, again, the Kobold scale sorcerer, who is who you're fighting alongside the dragonshields.

Meaning, yet again, that a level 3 fighter cannot solo a Kobold dungeon, and indeed may even die without killing a single kobold if the Dragonshields and Sorcerers are the ones he fights first.

Also, 44% isn't bad odds when you consider that the Fighter probably only has a +5 to hit, and the dragonshields have 15 AC. He's also only hitting them half the time.
>>
File: 1477494588748.png (242KB, 635x550px) Image search: [Google]
1477494588748.png
242KB, 635x550px
>>50461347
>Thinks his big damn hero is gonna have 1500 gold to drop at level 3
>Thinks the kobolds are going to let him get into fighting range
>Thinks he can fight against a horde alone with one attack per turn
You're gonna get sodomized by lizards, kid.
>>
>>50460991
I just find it weird because goblins mythologically are associated with the fey.
>>
>>50461347
the fighter is only landing a hit 55% of the time with +5 to hit vs 15AC (dragonlance or sorcerer), the dragonlance has multiattack so he's landing one hit or more 68%, the sorcerer is landing one or more scorching rays 82% of the time.

just stop, you are embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>50461383
D&D has always been inconsistent in it's relation to real world mythologies.
>>
>>50461370
>>50461384
>>50461375
You're right, you've convinced me: A group of elite kobolds (really, just Dragonshields who are supposed to be a once in a generation rare encounter) have a shot at killing the lone, level 3 fighter before he kills them. How extremely threatening.
>>
>dragonlance has 44 avg hp
>sorcerer has 27 avg hp
>both can roll with advantage several times per turn

how is this even a competition?
>>
File: Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg (29KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg
29KB, 300x240px
>this thread
>>
>>50461452
Dragonshield, dude. The sorcerers only have 2 level 2 slots, so they'll probably land one ray per cast. They'll lose advantage if the fighter is in melee with them and each ray does an average of about 6 damage.

Now that multiattack is something.
>>
File: machbaxi.png (39KB, 883x612px) Image search: [Google]
machbaxi.png
39KB, 883x612px
I realized my max speed calculation from the other day was off due to how things would be applied. I also forgot to include Mobile. So here goes once more.

RACE
Tabaxi - 30 feet, x2 (Feline Agility)

CLASS LEVELS
Monk 13 - +20ft, bonus action dash (Step of the Wind)
Barbarian 5 - +10ft
Elk Totem - +15ft (while raging)
Fighter 2 - extra dash action (Action Surge)

SPELLS
Longstrider - +10ft
Haste - x2, extra dash action

EQUIPMENT
Boots of Speed - x2

BOONS
Boon of Speed - +30ft

FEATS
Mobile - +10ft

CLASS FEATURES
Balm of the Summer Court - +50ft
Maneuvering Attack - Move half speed as a reaction

Here's the build-up and sprint. Note that any non-bonus-actions can be done off-turn via Ready.

Round 1: Wizard casts Longstrider on you. Druid uses Balm of the Summer court on you. You active your Boots of Speed, as the last thing in the round. Your speed is 30 (race) + 20 (monk) + 10 (barb) + 10 (mobile) + 50 (balm) + 10 (Longstrider) + 30 (boon) = 160, 160 x 2 (boots) = 320 feet.

Round 2: You rage. Wizard casts Haste on you. Your speed is 320 + 15 (rage) = 335, 335 x 2 (haste) = 670 feet.

Round 3: Fighter uses Maneuvering Attack on you, you move 335 feet. You then activate Feline agility and action dash, Haste action dash, Action Surge dash, and bonus action dash (Step of the Wind), allowing you to move 5 times your speed on your turn. Your speed is 670 x 2 (feline agility) = 1340 feet. You move 1340 x 5 = 6700 feet in that turn, 6700 + 335 (maneuver) = 6965 feet in that round.

6965 feet in 6 seconds = ~1160.8 feet per second, or ~791.5 miles per hour. That's a stone's throw beyond the speed of sound.
>>
>>50461424
It's once every few years. That isn't that long in Kobold time. It is not unreasonable a pair would crop up. And of course, while they can just whittle the fighter down, the Sorcerer can probably finish him off in a single blast, or close to it.

Even ignoring the scorching Rays, with a pair of dragonshields and a Sorcerer flinging Firebolts, the Fighter is taking an average of 10 damage per turn, factoring in misses. Second wind will help, but that Fighter is going to be dead in 4 rounds. Less if there are any other Kobolds around at all.

The Fighter, meanwhile, assuming sword & board, is going to be dishing out around 5 damage each turn in return. Even if he walks past the dragonshields (taking even more attacks), it'll take him about 6 rounds to kill the Sorcerer, who's the main threat. If he's very lucky, it will only take 3 rounds, but that's assuming he lands every attack.

And again, this is assuming Firebolts from the Sorcerer, rather than the Scorching Ray that would be used for such a hard target.

The only thing the Fighter has a chance of is killing the Kobold sorcerer before he dies. Considering he was equipped heavily for defense and had over 1500 gold of equipment, that is very threatening.
>>
>>50461500
How do benefit from Maneuvering attack AND take actions during the fighters turn?
>>
>this thread
>look up kobolds in MM
>1/8 CR
>5HP
>12 AC
I mean, the initial claim was correct. At Level 3, a Fighter could probably take on eight of these guys at a time and not have an issue. These other variants are ostensibly rare by volo's and should not be expected to gather in packs. They would be a medium to hard level encounter for a level 3 party.
>>
>>50461467
Yeah. Started off talking about how it was a bad idea to rest in a dungeon, then it was about how you could still rest in a kobold dungeon since they sucked, now it's about if a lone fighter could solo a den of them.

Can we just make the conclusion that monsters and dungeons are dangerous for a reason?
>>
>>50461500
this is still amazing, that is faster than an airplane's cruise speed.
>>
>>50461532
Maneuvering Attack just makes sure you use your reaction for some movement. All the other actions happen on your turn.
>>
>>50461524
Actually, according to Volo's, almost all Dragonshields are a Dragon's personal cronies. It's unlikely you'd see them outside a Dragon's lair.
>>
File: 1475337018961.jpg (21KB, 249x380px) Image search: [Google]
1475337018961.jpg
21KB, 249x380px
>>50461424
>Kobolds are vicious with their use of defensive tactics and will play dirty to fuck you up.
>But my knight in shining platemail level 3 fighter would totally fuck them up in a fair fight, he'd kill a whole warren!
>Actually no he'd easily get dunked by a group of their leaders even without tricks
>B-but muh rare mobs
>>
>>50461550
>The Champions of the kobold race, almost exclusively hand-picked by dragons and invested with their essence.
>Kobold leaders
Nah, I'm pretty sure that the majority of Kobolds are the ones in the Manual, regardless of their position in the warren. Just like every guard captain is not a Fighter.
>>
>arguing about fighting dragonshields and scale sorcerors

WORRY ABOUT THE FUCKING DRAGON, IDIOTS
>>
>>50461548
Nah, it says that ones with innate versions of the abilities pop up once every few years. It wouldn't exactly be the norm to have 2, but honestly I think even 1 is a pretty even match for this Fighter.

The Kobold does about 4 damage a round, factoring in misses, and the Fighter does about 5 back, same deal. It'll take them both around 9 rounds to kill the other.

Of course, since they're fighting in a Kobold den, the Fighter is getting pelted by arrows, so the Dragonshield wins.

So yeah, if the tribe has a Dragonshield, they basically already have a level 3 Fighter working for them.
>>
>>50461533
Charitable assumption: Fighter has AC 20 and kills a kobold every single turn.
Kobolds have +4 to hit (with advantage) so need a 16+ to hit. That's a 44% hitrate. Each deals a mean of 4 damage. That's 1.75 damage per kobold per turn. FIghter has, let's call it 40 HP just to use the math from upthread. That means 23 kobold attacks to kill him. In the time it takes him to kill seven kobolds, the kobolds get off 28 attacks.
The fighter dies to 7 kobolds at once. A tribe is likely to have FAR more than just seven kobolds.
The fighter cannot solo a tribe of kobolds that use even the basic tactic of "everybody attack at once".
>>
>>50461533
8 of them would still hit him all with advantage for 1d4+2 (avg. 4.5), 44% of time so about 50% chance of 4 hits connecting (dealing avg. 18 dmg) while the fighter can take out one (max two) in one round, so if the kobolds win initiative the fighter is dead turn 2 even after killing 2 kobolds 50% of the time.

if the kobolds kite him with slings and get a couple of hits before entering melee range, they can take him out with no to minimal casualties.
>>
>>50461568
>but once every few years a kobold hatches with an innate version of the dragonshield's abilities.

The majority are the ones in the manual, nobody is arguing that. These other kobolds do exist though, and finding them in a Warren isn't some insane impossibility. It would be reasonably common to find one, if not more for a larger tribe.
>>
>>50461591
>A kobold dragonshield is a champion of its race. Almost all dragonshields begin life as normal kobolds, then are chosen by a dragon and invested with great powers for the purpose of protecting the dragon's eggs, but once every few years a kobold hatches with an innate version of the dragonshield's abilities.

I don't think that means once every few years for each warren, I think that means once every few years across the entire kobold race. That said, most of them are still picked by dragons by the guide.
>>
>>50461536
>Can we just make the conclusion that monsters and dungeons are dangerous for a reason?

it doesn't even sound so unreasonable, does it?
it's like, the whole premise to the entire game and universe surrounding it. blows your mind or something...
>>
>>50461597
Yeah, in fact, 8 normal kobolds is the number you'd want for a typical kobold encoutner for a level 1 party, being CR 1/8. That's the sort of thing you'd find in the first or second room of a kobold warren.
>>
Traps don't have a CR, or exp, associated with them.

Kobolds can have as many traps as they want without actually boosting the encounter's exp cost for encounter building.

Anything can have as many traps as they want.

Traps can have as many traps as they want.

>Traps, the true 5e master race
>>
>>50461533

I hate that I'm contributing to this, but even if we assume the kobolds are all just surrounding this dude and using no other tactics than the basic monster manual stuff, against a fighter with around 19 AC, at least 3 kobolds should hit him per turn when you factor in advantage, dealing 4.5 damage each hit, meaning he takes nearly 30 damage the first two turns. And then he's down to 6 kobolds and maybe only two are hitting him per turn, but he's still gonna die.
>>
>>50461620
Well, the exact rarity of Dragonshields could be debated and interpretted.

Fortunately, that matters less, as the knight still dies like a chump >>50461597 >>50461610

Personally, I'm just pleased with the fact that a Kobold Dragonshield is on par with a Fighter of that skill level.
>>
>>50461597
>>50461610
Now, Action Surge and Second Wind make a big difference. Not to mention whatever his archetype gives him. 8 kobolds for a single level 3 adventurer is on the higher end of a medium encounter, maybe hard, given the game's math. In my own personal experience, I've managed six 1/8's on my own around that level, but that's with using up my resources. A short rest easily remedies that.
>>
>>50461657
>Second wind

I'm the guy who gave the 40 hitpoint expectation, and I was factoring in a favorable second wind roll. The Fighter will have around 30 hitpoints if he's got good con, so second wind will put him at 40.

Granted, cleaving attack from Battlemaster or some spells from Eldritch knight might clear this up, but we've already assumed he has full plate.

Besides, even if the Fighter is one of those other archetypes and uses his resources to kill the kobolds, his hitponts or spells aren't infinite, and we're talking about an entire warren. An entire warren full of traps and more than 8 kobolds.

This isn't a fight that can reasonably be won.
>>
>>50461657
and with this we go full circle to how safe it is to rest around a bunch of monsters in their lair.

I'm of the opinion that you're supposed to have monsters try to break down barricaded doors or wandering monsters show up to attack the party in around half the instances where they try to rest for very long, but I'd love to hear some conflicting opinions!
>>
>>50458930
Make the chaplain a 1/3 divine caster like an ek with cleric spells
>>
>>50461657
the two kobolds dead turn one assumes action surge, second wind gives you one, maximum two, extra hits. extra damage from maneuvers doesn't do much for you as you should one shot the kobolds 80% of the time, and we are assuming you use precision to kill a kobold a round, which would up your chanced to hit 86%.

even then, you are eating 15~16 damage turn one, 11~12 damage turn two and 9~10 damage turn three, you die after taking out 4~ kobolds.
>>
>>50461685
Depends on how prevalent short rests are. Were I running a solo game for a dude, it'd be around two to six kobolds at a time, since that would be a medium encounter for a party of one at that level. Given that and the permitted allowance of short rests versus encounter difficulty, I could reasonably expect a level 3 fighter to clear a kobold warren.
>>
>>50461657
If the kobolds are clever, the fighter is fucked, give those bastards some nets, Pack-Tactics will let them use nets freely without their automatic disadvantage and the fighter only has two options.

Fight at disadvantage, unable to move so hope he has some ranged attacks while enemies have advantage against him with all attacks.

Waste his action to remove or cut the net, which even a fighter has a decent chance to fail, and even if he does remove it, he gets hit with another net, preferrably via a readied action "If he gets the net off of him."

This also doesn't include any traps they may have established but lets assume for the sake they have none.
>>
>>50461657
>A short rest easily remedies that.
are you resting while getting stab by kobolds?

and we are yet again back to the original subject, rejoice!
>>
>>50461712
Precision would be the wrong maneuver to use here, you'd want to use Riposte.
>>
>>50461713
Well, I mean, obviously if you design the kobold warren for a level 3 fighter for a solo game, it's more obvious that you'd make a kobold warren something that could be overcome.

I'm still not sure how well it would work out, as even with short rests you'll still run low on hit die, but at the point where you have to throw small clumps of kobolds and ignore their biggest advantages of traps and numbers, I feel like it's pretty safe to say that a level 3 Fighter would not be soloing a typical kobold warren with ease. Even in your suggestion, he'd probably be on his last legs once he got to the end. Even in chunks of 6 at a time, that'd be 36 kobolds on the low end of standard encounter guidelines. That adds up.
>>
A battlemaster of this level with Sweeping Attack, Riposte, and Parry or Evasive Footwork would be able to do it with some reliability.
>>
>>50461733
ah, this makes more sense, yes. i'm not that familiar with battle masters.

that does lower your to hit% so you are hitting the kobolds 70% of the time, and 66% of the time (kobolds failing) you are hopefully killing an additional kobold or killing a second kobold 46% of the time.

even then he dies to 8 kobolds on average, he just manages to take 5~6 of the before dying.
>>
>>50461755
>>50461782
So once again, in conclusion, a level 3 Fighter with everything in his favor short of kobolds clumping up perfectly for a burning hands, will lose on the first kobold encounter in a warren.

If by some chance he manages to get past the first encounter, he dies on the second encounter in the Warren.
>>
>>50461755
he only gets 4 dice and kobolds can still kite him before even getting to melee range. sweeping attack doesn't even kill a kobold on average and wasting an entire action to kill a 1hp kobold will get you killed way faster.
>>
>>50461782
Now if you add in GWM to the mix it becomes more reliable that you'll clear the encounter. But that makes sense, single level.

>>50461806
Pack tactics only works if the kobolds move in close. Really, this depends a lot on initiative order and if they can manage to keep enough kobolds within 5 feet of the fighter.
>>
>>50461815
only one kobold has to be at melee range of the fighter for every other one to have advantage on it. and where are you getting GWM at level 3? are you a variant human, because i don't remember humans getting darkvision...
>>
>>50461806
Sweeping attack at that level is a 1d8. 4.5 is the average but there's no point to a .5 difference at this level. He either rolls 1 - 4 on the damage die and it doesn't work or 5 to 8 and it works. Pretty close to a 50/50 shot which is worth the effort if he's into that or he can use Parry instead and essentially cancel the damage on him (on average).
>>
>>50461832
The effort spent on having a light source around is pretty trivial. You don't even have to hold it or wear it on your person, most light sources illuminate enough area to have a decent fight in.
>>
and this just regular kobolds, a couple of winged kobolds would destroy said lonely fighter even easier.
>>
>>50461815
>>50461832
Yeah, GWM makes things even worse, since being a variant human means you're not going to have darkvision, which means disadvantage and not holding a torch.

Also, GWM means no shield, which means the kobolds hit you even more often and you go down even faster.
>>
>>50461865
The first portion of GWM doesn't care if you use a heavy weapon or not.
>>
>>50461815
One kobold moves into melee range of the fighter and then uses the dodge action, making it hard for the fighter to hit him, forcing the fighter to risk missing, or move away and risk the reaction attack only for a new kobold to do the same next turn.
>>
>>50461853
you think the kobolds are going to let you have a light source?
it's even on the actual book and the quote i already put here >>50461056
>>
>>50461858
A fight with just winged kobolds might actually be easier since they would probably stay out of the 5ft needed to activate pack tactics.
>>
>>50461867
So this level 3 fighter, with fullplate and a shield, who's mastered the use of two-handed weapons, is going to walk into a dungeon, toss a torch on the floor, and fight some kobolds?

This seems a little farfetched, but as has been pointed out, the kobolds don't need to all be in melee. They can spread out and mostly hang back. If you maneuver too far you start losing light and get disadvantage. It's also pretty trivially easy for a Kobold to swipe your light source and toss it away.
>>
>>50461870
>kobold runs forward just holding a shield two handed
>action: dodge
absolutely brutal
>>
>>50461877
Lanterns are harder to put out, or you're an EK and you cast light on your weapon, or you've got a minor magical item that glows (very common), or you've put the light source in your space. It makes sense for torches in sconces or something, but getting light is trivial. That's why darkvision is rated very low on the scale of abilities.
>>
>>50461891
If you're an EK, that means no battlemaster manuevers. I don't think it's very reasonable to assume that you've managed to find the treasure for both fullplate and a glowing sword. The light source in your space hardly matters, since all the kobolds have to do is back up.

And this is a Fighter with a ton of feats, equipment, and abilities entirely optimized for killing CR 1/8 kobolds. And even then, all of this effort is probably only going to get him through one or two fights before he gets worn down.
>>
>>50461870
Again, initiative order would matter a lot. Lets say one kobold does this, then another moves to attack the fighter. Whether or not he hits, the fighter can attack and likely kill him, then move away without worrying about the reaction attack since it's no longer got advantage. Possibly to another kobold and use action surge OR perhaps use an archetype ability.
>>
Hey /5eg/ just got back in town from visiting family over the holiday, friends have recently started a new campaign that I'm going to be joining. Party so far consists of a Half-Elf Mountain Druid, v.Human Storm Herald Barbarian, and a Halfling Storm Sorcerer, all level 3. All books and UA aside from mystic and eberron are allowed, so what should I make? Don't have much information about the campaign other than there's going to be a lot of wilderness exploration.
>>
>>50461891
so now you are an EK variant human with GWM and sword and board, with a magic item and plate armor at level 3?
>>
File: 1443858472515.png (527KB, 858x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1443858472515.png
527KB, 858x1000px
CAN WE JUST AGREE THAT BOTH SIDES MADE VALID POINTS?

Yes, your average 3rd level fighter would probably get fucked by a bunch of kobolds, but a 3rd level fighter who managed to somehow get his hands in the /5eg/ MEGA and do some research would stand a chance at winning, albeit a small chance.
>>
>>50461915
Dropping a torch in your space is the simplest way to get light in a way that makes it harder for people to deal with. Many packs include multiple torches or other light sources as well.

I'm not even talking kobolds here, I'm talking 5e in general. Light is easy to come by and easy to transport.
>>
>>50456947
And yet warlocks are ritual casters, and can have a spell book full of rituals of all kinds.
>>
>>50461915
>tons of feats
>one feat, maybe
It's not even necessary. It's a luxury.
>>
>>50461922
Don't forget the battlemaster maneuvers.

>>50461934
Okay, you drop a torch in your space. The kobolds don't move up to attack you. You move up to attack them. One runs around and carries away your torch. Disadvantage.
>>
>>50461941
Only pact of the tome can cast rituals.
>>
>>50461924
i'm just enjoying the amount of goalposting necessary for our lone kobold slayer to succeed when it's just a bad fucking idea to solo a kobold lair populated by a dozen of not mentally handicapped kobolds.

This is all without considering how pack tactics make kobolds nat20 crit 9.8% of the time, that's 56% of a crit turn one, 46% after taking out two kobolds.
>>
>>50461949
No, I don't chase the kobolds because I don't have to. Unless they get in my grill, the odds of them hurting me are very low. Hell, I could ready an action to bop one if he comes close, no biggie. And if they're all going to run to grab the torch, that's also good for me because it brings them within striking range.
>>
>>50461944
>what are commas

I was more referring to the tons of abilities.

>It's a luxury

A lurxury that still isn't winning you this fight against 8 kobolds aparantly. A luxury that makes no sense for any sword and board fighter to ever take.

>>50461924
Basically, the only way for the Fighter to win this is if the player knows from square 1 that he has to fight an entire warren of kobolds and nothing else ever.
>>
>>50461921

Well... what kind of character do you want to play? Face smashy/ Magical might? Just fill in the holes in the party?
>>
>>50461347
This guy has never actually played 5e
>>
>>50461921
wilderness exploration would make a ranger p fun imo
>>
>>50461964
What if, instead, the fighter is not mentally handicapped and instead takes time to filter sunlight into the kobold lair (drilling holes, mirrors, collapsing tunnels, etc, etc) instead of just sitting around like an idiot while letting the kobolds have every advantage under the sun?
>>
>>50461966
Oh? Okay. You sit back and wait for them to come to you. You die, because even a low chance of hurting you isn't that low, and they will kill you eventually.
>>
>>50461966
>i'll run over a kobold lair
>by staying put and not doing anything
great, i hope you enjoy stones cause you are going to get lots of them in your face.
>>
>>50461980
>now the fighter is a miner and/or engineer and overall expert in kobold ecology and lair geography
>>
>>50461983
>>50461984
It's a one in five chance of hitting, and with 8, that means maybe one hit a round. Now, with a 30ft range on those rocks if they are at the absolute maximum range it would be simple to use one's own thrown weapons to return fire.

Yes, it comes down to both sides throwing rocks at each other.
>>
>>50461980
this is the part where the DM steps in and says "dude cmon chill"
this is next level pain in the ass "that guy"-ism
>>
>>50462004
Holy Fuck, it's Goblin Slayer!!!
>>
>>50461980
>every advantage under the sun

The only advantage used so far was their statblocks and assuming they were in a dark cave.

Meanwhile, the advantages for the fighter have been 1500 gold worth of equipment, magic items, cherrypicked maneuvers, clashing feats and fighting styles that are only useful for this one task, and a generous assumption of how many hitpoints he'll have.

If you start drilling holes, using mirrors, and collasping tunnels, you're doing to find yourself outmatched by the logistical capacity of an entire kobold warren to build traps and tools to counteract your traps and tools and mine out any collapsed tunnels.

We've already proved how difficult it is for a Fighter to kill 8 kobolds in a cave, and you want to bring the rest of the warren's existance into this?
>>
>>50462016
exactly, only that goblin slayer has a way better chance of success because his goblins are way, WAY more stupid than 5e's kobolds.
>>
>>50462009
Except the Kobolds can back up out of the range of light from a torch. Or have one Kobold run in with a bucket.
>>
What the fuck are you guys arguing about?
>>
>>50462031
>run in with a bucket
or even fly in with a bucket...
>>
>>50461980
this is EXACTLY how we got started on all this shit. players making actions that the local denizens would take issue with, like a long rest in their closet or drilling fucking holes in the roof. do you ever gm? why would you allow this?
>>
How are we assuming the fighter is killing one, let alone two kobolds every turn?

A level 3 fighter will be at best swinging with +5 to hit which will hit two thirds of the time, killing in one hit most of the time but not always. So it's rough to say every 3 attacks he will kill 2 kobolds, and with only one attack a turn he may struggle.
>>
>>50462043
kobolds, man, motherfucking kobolds...
>>
>>50462009
how is it a 1 in 5 chance of hitting?
even with full plate and 18 ac they have +4 to hit with sling which means they have to roll a 14 or higher which happens 35% of the time
it deals an average of 4 damage and a fighter with +0 con would have an average of 22 health at level 3 which means if you tried to have a thrown weapon battle with them you would die ON AVERAGE in 2 rounds
0.35X8=2.8<-number of hits per round on average
2.8X4=11.2<-average damage you would take per round
you would get rekt get over it
>>
>>50462051
the point was that even with dice hacks he still dies
>>
>>50462051
we were being generous.
>>
>>50462060
Don't forget the near universal advantage.
>>
>>50462047
Because what are the kobolds going to do? Run out into the sunlight while I'm capping off their exit tunnels or blowing smoke down into the shafts from a safe distance? They're weak as shit there. Odds are they'll pack up and move on, which is also victory
>>
>>50462063
>>50462066
I think the only other possible advantage we could give the Fighter would be to have the fight take place outside, but at that point it's hardly storming a kobold warren, is it?
>>
>>50462060
Plate and a Shield is 20 AC
>>
>>50462067
To be fair, that was with the assumption that the Fighter was going to hold back and stand on a torch while the kobolds tried to bait him into moving up so they could snatch it and douse it.

So no advantage in that case, but all it mainly proves is that it's a really bad idea to try and go Variant human and get a feat for this.
>>
>>50462070
Or you could do it like the Marines did it in WW2 and just set a bunch of shit on fire in the main entrance to eat up the oxygen in the tunnels.
>>
>>50461979
>>50461974
I'm up to play anything really, don't have a particular character ideas in my head, so I guess I should fill some hole in the party.

Ranger could work I guess, especially with the new UA revision. Probably go hunter if I do. What races other than elves make for good rangers? Nothing against elves, just don't enjoy playing them.
>>
>>50462088
Fantasy HVAC technician here, no cave system in a plane I worked on would succumb to that.
>>
>>50462070
>knowing their exit tunnels
>blowing smoke down all their shafts, simultaneously

master, tunnelers. open new shafts, open new exits, dig a tunnel under you and collapse it, trapping you. or you know, wait for fucking night time?

round you, ambush you, you are a sitting duck if you ever try to do shit like this.
>>
>>50462087
Hmm, Dex Fighter, ranged attack style would have lower AC but could kite the kobolds instead. Stay out of their maximum attack range and pick them off one by one. Either have Darkvision or Variant Human with Skulker for better night vision.
>>
>>50462070
>cap off exit tunnels

You're shot at while working on the tunnel, but manage to cover it. You move to the next one. The kobolds remove the covering on the previous tunnel because there are more kobolds than you.

>blowing smoke down shafts

They do have chimneys

>run out into the sunlight

Until night falls

This has gone a long way from 'a level 3 fighter could solo a kobold den' to 'a skilled engineer could lay protracted siege to a kobold den'.

This wouldn't even be a successful siege. The kobolds probably have more food than you, and can easily slip out at night to hunt more. I'd imagine you'll be in for a rude surprise one morning when it turns out they've baited a bear into your camp.
>>
>>50462077
.25x8=2x4=8
22/8=2.75
woah you're right
he would live a HEAPING 3 rounds on average
hes got this (^:
>>
>>50462112
>Stay out of their maximum range

In the cramped Kobold tunnels, of course. This gets the exit collapsed behind you and shanked several times in the ribs because now you aren't as big of a melee threat.
>>
>>50462106
Fuck that, I'm leaving before nightfall. It's easier to collapse a tunnel than build one, though I'd love to see them tunnel like they've got a burrow speed (they don't). They can try to shoot at me but I don't even care. I've got the time to do this as long as I don't go in their death cave.
>>
>>50462099

Firbolgs from Volo's make good rangers. Kenku, Tabaxi, Dwarf could be interesting.
>>
I think the most optimal fighter would be a Battlemaster with Polearm Mastery and Armoured.

AC19 means Kobolds have a low chance to hit, can comfortably make two attacks a turn, killing with both glaive and haft on everything but a 1 for damage, with options for getting an additional kill when the kobolds try to take advantage of pack tactics.

Still vulnerable to the single kobold armed using the dodge action and then running inclose, as well as kobolds attacking the fighters light source since he will have to either drop his lantern or torch to attack.

Or he could carry the torch in one hand and wield a quarterstaff in the other which would help against them attacking your light source since it becomes a carried item.
>>
>>50462088
sure but remind me here for a second, who won vietnam?
>>
>>50462099
halfling is probably your best bet
>>
>>50462128
And then you come back tomorrow and fall into the traps near the entrance. Good job.
>>
>>50462131
The political climate? Growing disinterest in the war back home? The reason America left Vietnam was anything but the HARDCORE TUNNELS, MAN
>>
>>50462128
Cool. You collapse all the tunnels. Now how is that a level 3 fighter soloing a kobold warren?
>>
>>50462130
>two feats at level 3
OK, yeah, you've completely lost contact with anything remotely close to a plausible build.
Nice winning against you.
>>
>>50462128
didnt we already establish that they would stone you to death in 3 rounds?
you do not "have the time to do this"
>>
>>50462130
the most optimal fighter would be a magic initiate EK with thunderwave and light either he kills them all in one shot (8 kobold gangbang) or he dies to dodgebold+range siege.
>>
>>50462141
Nope, why would I? I'm hunting Kobolds, I know they're laying traps so I'm slow and careful, making active perception checks and double checking with trap triggering items like 10-foot poles.

Once I've done that, I go back to work, making their lives as annoying and hard as possible. It might take me months to drive them out, but that's okay. Because I won't play their stupid game.
>>
>>50462175
neither would the GM
hed kick you out and move on with the actual adventure
>>
>>50462175
this made laugh irl, good job kobold slayer, may the gods shine on your valiant quest!
>>
>>50462175
Or you just end up pushing them enough that they wait to see which tunnel you're at, before swarming 30 kobolds at you to regardless of the sunlight while you're busy prodding around with a 10 foot pole.

They don't have to play your stupid game either.
>>
>>50462166
They have a 35% chance of stoning me if a ton of kobolds have made some kind of primitive sling bunker where they stuff like 8 kobolds in an above ground box that they can arc a sling through. But that's pretty hard to miss so I'll just avoid that and work somewhere else, or better yet just throw some fire on that shit with easily obtained oil and bottles.
>>
>>50462175
you would eventually fail a perception check
you're playing a fighter so WIS isnt exactly your core stat
>>
>>50462165
My bad, what I meant to say was "Defensive" instead of "Armoured" referring to the fighting style.
>>
>>50462172
Established the kobolds are smart and would space themselves out, an AOE would at best hit two with a 25% chance that each of them survives.
>>
>>50462196
They have Disadvantage in sunlight, so it'd be pretty stupid of them to do that. Like, that's a pretty fucking low-to hit right there. Plus running out into the open in a big swarm isn't their style. They don't got the balls for that. Instead of that, they'd instead just quietly pack up their things and move.
>>
>>50462197
you seem to be under the impression that sunlight sensitivity means they cannot go out into the sun
all it does is give them disadvantage, and because of pack tactics, they would just roll normally
both the kobolds and the GM would get sick of your shit and ambush the fuck out of you with 30 kobolds whether it was night or day and would kill you regardless lmfao
>>
>we now aren't even discussing direct combat/confrontations but indirect sieges
bravo
>>
>>50462225
If kobolds want to siege, we gonna siege.
>>
>>50462175
See, the issue is however, what do you do after the first combat or two where a kobold rallies the entire warren to hunt you down and drive you out as a force rather than waiting for you to take each team of 8 kobolds room by room.
>>
>>50462221
So what I'm reading here is, the kobolds are going to completely disregard their nature and attack like Goblins instead of just tunneling far, far away?
>>
>>50462214
>They have Disadvantage in sunlight, so it'd be pretty stupid of them to do that.

As >>50462221 pointed out, pack tactics. Plus, 30 kobolds will more than make up the difference regardless.

>Plus running out into the open in a big swarm isn't their style

For one random asshole? I think they'd make an exception. They're cowardly, but that doesn't mean they'll just not kill one dude.

But you're right. More likely is them slowly encircling you from other crevices and tunnels, having a few rush you, and having the rest sling stones and throw spears.
>>
>>50462129
>8 foot tall, 300lb blue autist hippies with elf ears and tumblr nose
I think I'll pass.

Looking through Volo's though, Goblins look surprisingly decent.
>>
>>50462238
if you piss the GM enough off with this blatant "that guy"-ism then hell yeah they are
"Their superior numbers can win battles
against powerful adversaries, but often with massive casualties on the kobold side." -MM
they may be cowards but its not like theres a fucking law that says they cant
>>
>Dragon's Peak Down
>A story of cunning and perseverance at times of war.
>Featuring, Kobolds, tons of them!, and Lone "I wish I was Goblinslayer" Fighter!
someone make a campaign out of this, please.
Make the PCs the kobolds.
>>
>>50462225
Yeah. I think we can thoroughly say at this point that a level 3 fighter can't solo a kobold den, because at this point it's more along the lines of a Rogue with a focus on Intelligence and Wisdom to be a master of siege warfare.
>>
>>50462232
The problem is, you're in their warren. You've already lost the siege because they have the luxury of setting traps and fighting defensively, you don't. Every hour you spent disarming traps, is 50 manhours of kobold stuff going on, including a group who do nothing but harrass you with slings whenever you try to rest, recover or "Check for traps" as you so put it. You don't have time to rest or go carefully, they do.

By the time you're content that the room is free from traps the kobolds have easily rallied their entire fighting force to take out the "Legendary Kobold Slayer who for some reason tried to take on an entire warren at once and expected to not get ganked on."
>>
>>50462237
Fuck the rooms, I'm not even going in there. It's straight siege warfare motherfucker. They're going to have to either leave or decide to expose themselves, and they really don't want to do the latter. Because...

>>50462244
It ain't really just me. Kobolds stick to their lairs because they know they are the tastiest treat on the block for whatever bigger and meaner things are around. They don't really want anyone to know where they live, because that's just gonna bring down the hammer of something bigger than just one guy on them.

No, what they'll do is leave, because that's how they deal with problems that don't fit into their death trap paradigm
>>
>>50462238
At the absolute worst, this means they're just going to spread deeper and outwards to make more hidden entrances to the tunnels, to the degree that you'd have to search large tracts of woodland to find them all.

You're one man laying siege to an entire tribe. You aren't going to convince them to leave alone, no matter how annoying you are. They'll kill you first, it'll just be in a cowardly ambush.
>>
>>50462266
>this much goalpost moving
they would probably want to kill you and go above and beyond to do so because you knew where they lived and might bring more with you next time since you seem to love harassing them so much
>>
>>50462248
I discovered that Lances don't have to be wielded on horseback and despite being two handed, do not have the heavy property.

Which means small races have a 1d12 damage weapon, and a reach weapon.

The drawback of "Disadvantage in 5ft" is mitigated by Goblins being able to disengage as a bonus action.

So I'm currently playing an amazingly fun goblin barbarian screaming blood and thunder as he charges around with his greatspear.
>>
>>50462256
I'm not inside the warren. I'm outside, covering it up a little at a time. Hell, they might not even notice for a long time.

>>50462272
Good, then. By that time, there will be kobolds popping in and out from various places across a hold. Which means that whoever actually owns that place is going to want them out. Which means they're going to send in more manpower to scour them. Which means I won by harassing the kobolds into making a big deal of themselves, the number one thing they know not to do.
>>
>>50462266
"thats how they deal with things! i know because I say so!"
wew lads i didnt realize god himself was in this thread
>>
>>50462266
>It's straight siege warfare motherfucker.

Which you lose, because you're heavily, heavily outnumbered. Every minute you spend checking for traps is a combined 50 minutes the kobolds each spend doing other things. Whether it be setting new traps, throwing rocks at you while you work, scouting outside for your camp, or digging new tunnels. Every night you leave, most of your work is going to be undone by the next morning.

You can't win a siege against a castle by just nailing the main gate shut every morning and leaving every night.
>>
>>50462290
>deeper=at the surface
makes sense
>>
>>50462280
See
>>50462290

If the kobolds stage some master plan to expand their warren into some grandiose thing, I win. Someone else can order a hundred men down there to go kill the retarded kobolds who decided to do something else besides run and hide, like the actually smart kobolds.
>>
>>50462286
just ride a medium mount, this is the entire point of the cheesemaster dual wielding lances on top of a pterodactyl.
>>
>>50462290
>Which means that whoever actually owns that place is going to want them out.

Which is why they hired you, leading to your summary termination at making the kobold problem even worse.

Good job.
>>
>>50462305
Let em build deep, dwarves and drow hate them too.
>>50462311
>implying I don't do this for free
>>
File: 1424451780831.jpg (52KB, 314x374px) Image search: [Google]
1424451780831.jpg
52KB, 314x374px
>>50462266
>The kobolds floruish as they build extra tunnels out, they plague the lands with raiding and experience levels of good health and propeserity unknown to kobold kind. Despite their high levels of activity, any heroic individuals who attempt to charge the warren come face to face with the Legendary Kobold slayer, now aged quite a bit but still looking fighting fit currently sitting in his camp at the main cave entrance saying "Don't worry, I got this, you can go home.". Thanks to this silver haired autist, whom the kobolds now worship as an eternal guardian, they thrive beyond that which any kobold warren ever has thrived.
>>
>>50462308
at no point did i say "going above and beyond" meant turning their layer into a grandiose fucking castle
they would just run out and kill the bastard lmfao
>>
I have a feeling that this is how commoners deal with Kobold problems.

>>50462329
Wouldn't actually competent adventuring parties just kill them?
>>
>>50462308
>Extra escape tunnels and deeper warrens
>Some 'grandiose' thing

Not really. All this means is more surface holes for them to enter and leave from, making it even more impossible for you to keep up with all of them.

If they rush out of their warrens and kill you, 100 soldiers aren't going to rush to your defense. Nobody will hear the tale of that one smug fighter who claimed he could slay an entire warren of kobolds and never returned.
>>
God damn please this thread needs to die
>>
>>50462323
>below surface=underdark
makes sense
>>
>>50462345
All kobolds need to die.
>>
>>50462342
Nope, because the Legendary Kobold Slayer is on the job and tells them he has it under control, so they turn back when they get to his camp at the cave "Entrance.".
>>
>>50462308
>hundred men descend into the kobold lairs
>half die to traps
>a quarter gets slowly stoned to dead by ambushed and skirmishes
>a handfull just defect, not worth their time
>everyone dead or gone but one lone fighter
>at the very end of the lair, protecting the egg room
>8 kobolds
>>
>>50462308
And who would order that? After the Kobolds expand enough that you're not a bother or run out to kill you, they're going to continue business as usual.

The best case scenario is you end up paying a fine to the town guard for agitating the kobolds that weren't much of a problem until you decided to be a 'hero' and fuck with them.
>>
>>50462343
this guy gets it
>>
>>50462353
I actually spat my spaghetti out laughing at that.
>>
Never back an autist into a logical corner, lads. that's how this happens
>>
Okay, guys, I think I've solved this problem. What if, stay with me here, instead of one fighter it was one fighter, one cleric, one wizard, and one rogue?
>>
>>50462353
im dead
>>
>>50462353
And thus we've come full circle. One does not simply 'solo' a lair of kobolds unless you're at least out of apprentice tier.
>>
>>50462378
I can see level 5 or 6
>>
>>50462353
>>50462365
>>50462371
This is the fate of all those who play 5e.
>>
>>50462368
The rage that makes good men cruel?
>>
>>50462381
Now I'm curious. At what level do you need to be to clear out a full dungeon of kobolds by yourself?
>>
>>50462368
It really has been a slow, agonizing spiral of moving goalposts.

>Resting in a dungeon is safe
>Resting in a dungeon with kobolds is safe
>Kobolds are weak enough that a level 3 fighter could solo a warren
>Rare kobolds don't count, Monster manual kobolds only
>Also I get these feats and subclasses
>Nevermind these ones
>I'm still dead? Forget the whole thing, I'll just wait outside
>What do you mean they get fed up and kill me? That's against their nature.
>Well, I win anyway because now they'll call in the army for a random guy dying in the woods
>>
>>50462368
What happened? I don't want to see a freak show.
>>
>>50462381
Yeah, 5 is just out of apprentice tier, and I think that would barely be enough. It'd still need to be a warren of monster manual only ones, and I think you'd want Dungeon Delver as a feat, but the two attacks make it a lot more feasible.
>>
You all chose to play 5e, I warned you bros. I cautioned you guys.
>>
>>50462400
You can't.

The kobolds will surround you, shove you to the floor, grapple you, disarm you then kick the shit out of you no matter what level you are unless you're using some barbarian-rogue bullshit to give yourself ridiculous anti-grapple rolls that always automatically succeed.
And even then, there's still a good number of things they can fuck you over with.
>>
>>50462381
>>50462400
By the rules 5-7 CR1/8 creatures are an easy encounter for a party of 1 characters at 6th level. So, yeah, around level 6.
>>
>>50462408
somebody screencap the legend of the kobold slayer
>>
>>50462423
God I'm so hard right now.
>>
>>50462420
Just about the only way to make it feasible is DR or an AC of 25.
Quantity beats the fuck out of quality in 5e when you deal with large quantities.
>>
Well, at the very least, I hope we all learned something about Kobolds today.
>>
>>50462400
probably 6+ unless your dm is extra tactical and the traps are like, real traps.
even then, any sufficiently large amount of kobolds will fuck you up, but it will a insufferable long struggle.
>>
>>50462451
Well, if we're still assuming that the kobold warren is laid out like a dungeon for a level 1 party, I think >>50462425 has it right that level 6 would be it. At that point, you actually kill an encounter by yourself, and have more hitpoints than a first level party.

If they all swarm you at once, you're usually fucked no matter what.
>>
>>50462451
Let's consider level 6. You could get a +1 suit of armor or a magic shield You can also get Heavy Armor Mastery at that point, so you could get 3DR to all their basic attacks, meaning they'll do about 1 damage per hit. Plus you'll have about 60ish HP by then. Very doable.
>>
I just woke up, what's this about kobolds?
>>
>>50462487
they are like, so cool, so very cool.
>>
>>50462483
Would be better to be a Cleric too, Spirit Guardians means they never/rarely can have advantage.
Plus, you can spend all your rounds dodging or dashing as needed.
>>
>>50462483
Heavy Armor Mastery by itself takes a lot of the wind out of a kobold assault. With that, they'll need very high numbers even if you're less than level 6. I'd say level 4 can handle 6 kobolds if he has heavy armor master. Don't know how many encounters you could handle off the top of my head, but taking 4 damage a hit down to 1 is big, big.
>>
>>50462483
i still think that smart traps and heightened charm person could still fuck you over, but it would be a very risky gamble. at that point the kobolds are better off trying to trap you or outright calling a dragon for help.
>>
>>50462513
Hm, a Level 5 Human Variant EK with Heavy Armor Master and War Caster, plate and shield could be a serious contender.
>>
>>50462487
Some chucklefuck thought that a 3rd level fighter could easily solo an "entire tribe" of them.
>>
>>50462533
An identically crafted Cleric does it better, simply due to persistent spells. The one downside is concentration, but spiritual weapon or war cleric bonus attack make you equally effective at just smacking things anyway.
>>
>>50462549
Greenflame Blade ain't nothin to fuck with, though, and the wizard spell list has better instant options for dealing with swarms
>>
>>50462560
The low level spells are better, but Spirit Guardians is pretty much the single best option for dealing with swarming melee opponents with low HP, and at level 5 you either get that GFB OR extra attack, so unless we are increasing the level it isn't a better option.
>>
>>50462549
GFB is basically a guaranteed autokill of a second kobold on hit. Better than a second attack.
>>
>>50462540
Suppose it depends how big the tibe is. But people over-estimate kobold tactics, they have 8 int right?
>>
>>50462573
>But people over-estimate kobold tactics, they have 8 int right?

So does your average party member and they manage to come up with some pretty goo-
Int is still a dump stat.
>>
>>50462569
So now this hypothetical eldritch knight has 2 feats, and a high enough spell casting modifier to one hit a kobold?
>>
The only way they could even get close to soloing it is with bullshit like levels in UA shadow sorcerer so that only crits can kill them.
>>
>>50462585
That is what was said here >>50462533
1d8+spellcasting mod at level 5 for the greenflame blade. It automatically hits, though a roll of a 1 or 2 would mean that the kobold survives. Still, unless you're pretty unlucky, you can count on the GFB killing a kobold.
>>
Actually, at level 3, how many rounds would it take to kill the KOBOLD SLAYER if he had HAM?
>>
>>50462582
okay now we really have come full circle
>>
Is whirlwind attack a thing in 5e?
>>
>>50462641
bless this thread
>>50462632
7~8 according to my calculation
>>
>>50462650
It's a high-level hunter ranger feature.
>>
For the next thread stop being so autistic.
>>
>>50462656
At average of 1.5 damage per hit? Could the fighter possibly overcome the kobolds?
>>
>>50462632
Against slings, three times as many rounds as the average damage drops from 4.5 a hit to 1.5 a hit.
>>
>>50462672
if the stars align, but lets be honest, thats a terrible fuckin build lmfao
>>
>>50462672
Possibly, he would be able to take the 8 on I think just through sheer damage soak.

A level 3 Fighter with Heavy Armour master, TWFstyle, Dual-wielding hand axes for attack and reach could comfortably drop kobolds for a while.
>>
Why the fuck are you all assuming no ranged weapons?
>>
>>50462702
If you have the feat to drop on it, HAM is pretty good up until level 10. After that, all it's good for is letting you wade through low CR enemies without a care in the world.
>>
>>50462632
its entirely dependent on AC
the guy was claiming he would have full plate but ive never seen a level 3 character with full plate so his AC would be below 20 realistically
so no hed be fucked in a realistic scenario
if we minmax him with full plate plus shield plus defensive combat stance he can have 22 ac and with HAM he'll get hit for 1 damage each round on average
but this isnt realistic to any campaign
>>
>>50462615
Even assuming a +3, you have a 25% chance to not kill a kobold, while spirit guardians has only a .79% chance on a failed save, a save which they a -2 to make.
They have a 20% chance to make the save, if we assume an 18 wisdom cleric, 25% if we assume the cleric has worse stats than the fighter seems to have.
If they MAKE the save, they have a 16.41% chance to live, which is STILL lower than GFB against just ONE target.

Unless im fucking up, that means that just STANDING near the cleric has a ~95% chance of instant death per turn.

Clerics are the ultimate Killer of Kobolds.
>>
Ranged weapons fools.
>>
>>50462720
19 AC is more realistic, and would still probably survive just because the kobold hits aren't doing any real damage. Second Wind would also be much more effective a counter measure, since it could undo 1 or more whole rounds of damage against him.
>>
>>50462737
Ranged weapons means no Plate armor and no shield, meaning lower AC, and in a tunnel system, if you're in range and can see the kobolds, the kobolds are in range to hit you with their slings.
>>
>>50462743
HAM definitely changes the game a bit but he still couldnt solo a kobold den simply because of traps, ambushes etc.
>>
>>50462755
Darts, boom, ranged weapon with plate armour and shield.
>>
>>50462763
Not a whole den, but the 8 kobold encounter? Likely.
>>
>>50462786
poopoo damage
>>
>>50462725
4 clerics will FUCK UP them kobolds.
>>
>>50462791
again the stars would have to align and everything would have to be in the fighters favor and the kobolds would have to play it like literal retards
they do still have pack tactics after all
>>
>>50462802
Javalins instead, and damage doesn't really matter a huge deal when kobolds have 5hp.
>>
>>50462819
i usually actually roll the hp for each monster so they could have anywhere from 1-10 hp in my games so it would actually matter
but i know some/most DMs dont do that
>>
>>50462845
>Rolling monster HP.
Pretty brave senpai.
>>
>>50462859
it just makes it more interesting if there's variation in an encounter
where one is the biggest and leads the others and maybe theres a runt of the litter who plays like a little pussy and refuses to go within 30 ft of the PC no matter what
>>
>>50462755
Don't be a retard, a ranged weapon should be for the norm. The fighter is counted as crippled if there's no ranged weapon, either bows/crossbows, alchemist's fire and such.
>>
The fighter should have a grappling hook thing that pulls enemies to him.
>>
>>50462974
Ranged weapons as a back up if you're a melee fighter, absolutely, but if you're a Dex build Longbow/Heavy Crossbow fighter with the archery fighting style and sharpshooter feat is not going to be walking around in plate armor.
>>
>>50463020
Pudge, please.
>>
>>50463064
Why is that even a point or a statement? Of course not.

It is disingenuous to argue that a melee fighter won't carry ranged or that a sharpshooter ranged build will be wearing full plate.
>>
Does "hey, let's fuck" to a stranger qualify as a seduction attempt?
>>
>there are people here who don't play sharpshooter+shield master shield+sling plate armour 15 str + 20 dex fighters

Plebians, the lot of you.
>>
>>50463429
yes
>>
>>50463583
Slings need a free hand to load because they have the ammunition property.
>>
>>50463583
Also, if you've got 20dex, why not wear studded leather, have much more freedom and you can then leave strength low and actually have a con score.
>>
>>50464027
Shield master shove would benefit from +2 athletics. Also, +1 AC and you have access to all armour that you should ever need.
Swap over to light armour for stealth missions, obviously.

>>50464006
As far as I know that only applies to weapons with the 'loading' quality, as per the errata since the loading property does not require that as per PHB.
>>
>>50464047
Ammo rule requires a free hand as per errata. Sorry senpai, no slingeroo shield.
>>
File: 1478971500870.jpg (13KB, 540x489px) Image search: [Google]
1478971500870.jpg
13KB, 540x489px
>>50464065
Thought they added that property to loading instead of ammo.
Fuck it, just do netfighting then. Fuck RAW trying to ruin our fun, let's fuck it over by hitting the bad guys with overpowered net attacks.

We'll see who's laughing then.
>>
Kobold Slayer was unbelievable read, truly made my week, thanks guys.
Thread posts: 581
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.