[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Cartography Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 23

File: Eberron 4e Khorvaire.jpg (5MB, 4575x3225px) Image search: [Google]
Eberron 4e Khorvaire.jpg
5MB, 4575x3225px
>Latest News
Druid UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Show me your favorites maps!
>>
Speaking of which: does anyone have VGM on Roll20 and is willing to rip the maps, or has/is willing to get the digital maps from the artist for the trove?

http://theredepic.bigcartel.com/category/volo-s-guide-to-monsters-digital-downloads
>>
How do we fix the shitty alignment system?
Or have we already fixed it by basically ignoring it?
>>
>>50447474
>Or have we already fixed it by basically ignoring it?
Yeah, this. I just write "neutral" on all my character sheets and play them according to the actually relevant personality traits and motivations I decided for them.
>>
File: 1428986836150.jpg (87KB, 680x544px) Image search: [Google]
1428986836150.jpg
87KB, 680x544px
Is Close Quarters Shooter busted, /5eg/? I'm toying with the idea of a fighter 1/sun soul x, and it's just about perfect- I could use my blasts as melee attacks or ranged, ignore cover for their full range, and even get a bonus to hit.
Granted, this is also assuming that RAW is RAI as far as including ranged spell attacks.
Pic related, kinda.
>>
>>50447474
Alignment should be LG, CG, TN, LE, CE.
The chaotic alignments cover anything that isn't lawful and TN should be reserved for unintelligent monsters, animals and beings beyond understanding.
>>
I guess this would be the place to ask.
I'm reading into ADND 1e but I don't understand why a monster's AC gets lower the more difficult it is.
>>
>>50447164
>That's one of their prime roles in the party, since they're not nearly as good at mook wave fighting as are the other martials.

Not as good as a fighter for sure, but don't see how they'd be worse than a Monk or Ranger or barb.

I love Paladin but man do I wish they had some ability to do AoE or Ranged. That's why I've always wanted to MC lock, sorc or bard

>>50447525
yea it's pretty ridiculous.

If it says "ranged attacks", it works for spells. "ranged weapon attacks", only weapons.

>>50447533
https://youtu.be/PDCZLsGLKaQ?list=LLsiXFl_bi3HXiRLigQGnMRg
>>
File: hm elf.jpg (46KB, 452x518px) Image search: [Google]
hm elf.jpg
46KB, 452x518px
>>50447533
>I guess this would be the place to ask.
You guessed wrong. This is for 5e, not 1e.
>>
>>50447533
>I'm reading into ADND 1e but I don't understand why a monster's AC gets lower the more difficult it is.
I don't know because I haven't played 1e.
But is it fuck-huge? Does it have a ton of HP?

Lots of monsters that aren't dragons whose hide grows super strong get easier to hit when they get gigantic. But they will fuck you up in 6 seconds or less.
>>
File: 1460265581901.jpg (54KB, 780x760px) Image search: [Google]
1460265581901.jpg
54KB, 780x760px
ASIs are tied to class level, rather than total level, do you guys think it's for the better? Explain your answers please.

On a different note, say I "Oil change" my urine into holy water, would I have to empty my bladder on an undead/fiend in order for them to take the damage of holy water? Or can I use the contents on my bladder several times and end up with more uses from a single vial of holy water?
>>
>>50447533
THAC0
Every character has a To Hit Armor Class 0, with 0 being the AC that the math is based around, although should not be considered a default number.
If you have a THAC0 of 15, you must roll a 15 to hit an AC of 0. If they have a 5 AC you subtract 5, and thus need a 10. If they have a -5, you need a 20.
>>
>>50447588
Thanks, that makes sense now.
>>
What is something cheap I can buy to use as token for my in-person games? Need a quite a few and some variation (even if it's just color).
>>
>>50447603
I had the starter kit of fourth edition, I used their tokens to represent PC's and their allies.

Then I bought coloured tokens from Amazon, there were like 200 of them for something like 4 dollars. I use the different colours to represent different types of monsters.
>>
>>50445905
Thanks, brah.

>>50446007
Thanks heaps, brah, especially for the excellent links. They'll definitely come in handy and are pretty excellent in general.

Actually was thinking of having the PCs be part of an investigative group armed with D&D magic and modern armaments.

>>50446081
Really wished they could've made Strahd a Darklord. But then, he is meant to be overcome by 10th level characters so he's not exactly at the pinnacle of power.
>>
>>50447598
One of the benefits to the system was that you only needed to calculate your THAC0 once something changed. Sure, adding your various modifiers in 5e is easy, but it still takes math at some level, you always knew your THAC0, your DM told you a target number, and you hit it or didn't, just looking at the die. Since a DM had those stats either via book, or pre-generated with notes, they also didn't need to do any math at that given moment, just look at a number.
>>
>>50447611

I'm mostly annoyed that Strahd is just a slightly up tuned vampire. Other than his lair actions, he's pretty much straight out of the MM.
>>
>>50447576
If it was character level it would make multi-classing way way better, and that's it really.

but without Extra attack also going from some non class-level dependent, multi-classing will never be what it was in past editions.

And that's ok, that's what 5e was going for.

>>50447603
pathfinder pawn boxes

I got the NPC, monster, and bestiary box for $60~ total and that is like 900~ nice little tokens for anything you could ever want.
>>
>>50447619
i mean what do you want? plenty distinct with his lair actions and such
>>
>>50447576
I think that without ASIs being tied to class level, you would need additional filler features for each class, otherwise every 4th level does fuck all, and leveling up to get 1 hit die is a horrible feeling.
>>
Repost from last thread:
So I just watched the latest Coville episode about open world/sand box games. So what are some good low level modules. I have Caves of Chaos from Next but I don't know what else would be a good option.
>>
>>50447609
Got that amazon link?
>>
>>50447671
These are for the colored tokens.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004WKPM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480408909&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=colored+tokens&dpPl=1&dpID=41C0-SK6ZeL&ref=plSrch

The tokens I used for the PCs are from the starter kit, so you're better off looking for something else.
>>
>>50447533
OSR >>50425350 would probably be the best place for future questions. Most old school hacks have also done away with THAC0, but that thread should have the best knowledge base for AD&D.

>>50447615
The main problem was that situational modifiers were very much a thing. Once the cleric casts Bless you have to remember that the +1 to hit lowers your THAC0 by 1, and then the acid trap you walked into gives you a -2 AC, which raises it up 2 points.
>>
>>50447709
Oh yea, I'm totally cool with it being gone, it just definitely had its upside, which most people ignore. It's also infinitely simpler than people who didn't use it think it is.
>>
File: stream_img.jpg (58KB, 680x381px) Image search: [Google]
stream_img.jpg
58KB, 680x381px
>>50446106
>He hasn't been to the Tate Modern

Anon artists do fucked up shit.
>>
>>
>>50447709
>>50447716
It's easy enough to flip around THAC0 anyway. Just subtract the AC from 20 to get the new AC, and then do the same with your THAC0 score to get an attack bonus.

AC of 5 is AC 15. THAC0 of 18 is an attack bonus of +2.

Generally works out, if I'm remembering right.
>>
>>50447474
Alignment means nothing. Just play a character.
>>
How do I effectively use Sleet Storm or Fog Cloud? Everyone in there is blind so they don't actually get advantage or disadvantage, right?
>>
>>50447619
He really should've been made into a distinct monster, not just a slightly rehashed vampire.

Also, based on how he's statted, I'm curious how he managed to overcome the Mad Mage, old Mordy, considering the Mordy has 9th level spells..
>>
>>50447811
Assuming creatures in the cloud are trying to attack other creatures in the cloud. Generally you don't want to cast it on your allies unless you're trying to escape, heal, or buff under cover. Such spells are best for dealing with enemies attacking you from range.

It's also worth noting that Silent Image is usually going to be a better pick than Fog Cloud. It's a smaller area, but you can literally make an illusory fog cloud and get all the benefits plus as the caster you can see through it without issue.
>>
>>50447851

I guess our friend was just too spent after traversing through Ravenloft. That's the only explanation I can think of.
>>
>new UA for druid is out

>Shepard Druid
Fuck yes spirit animals.

This brings up a question I had concerning summons. When you summon something and it rolls its own initiative, say it rolled lower than your init, would it be able to then take its turn? Or does it act "surprised" and begin its turn at the next round wherever it landed in the order?

Also, how can you play a summoner and not be a headache for the DM? My thought is just make sure you know the statistics for those creatures as well as you should know your character. But slowing down combat with all the extra turns seems annoying.
>>
>>50447960
Summoner controls their creature during combat.
>>
>>50447886
But he usually travels with 8.
>>
A kind anon has donated the Beholder Lair map from VGM. It'll be added to the Mega shortly.

Any other donations of the others would be greatly appreciated.
>>
Is twilight circle op or what?

>d10 necrotic smites that work on anything and can heal people, and don't use spell slots

??
>>
>>50448171
It's a limited enough resource that it's not OP at all.
>>
Why did you start a new thread without telling me, /5eg/?

What would a cleric domain of binding and imprisoning evil look like? Protection with a changed spell list?
>>
File: 1471322975697.jpg (165KB, 719x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1471322975697.jpg
165KB, 719x1100px
>>50448212
Cleric can already cast the hold spells and banishment.

Just give him appropriate domain spells.
>>
>>50448249
Yeah I meant changed domain spell list
>>
>>50448212
You'd probably want a different channel divinity option, even it its just a fiend specific banishing.
>>
>travelling comedian
>mocked holier than thou paladin for being showy and arrogant
>angry paladin says comedian should try adventuring before bitching about the local heroes
>lol okay

That was a very shortened version of my Satire Bard's backstory/character, now level 3 and soon to go back home after completing a big awesome adventure while being scryed and publically displayed by town Wizard. The character is fun but very loud and silly, and I thought it'd be cool if his character development came mostly from taking a Paladin oath and becoming a stereotypical 'hero' as an example to all the Chaotic Stupid and selfish adventurers of the setting.

Is Satire Bard 4/Devotion Paladin 16 optimal at all? If not, anyone else got an idea to do this concept without being super gimped? Note that this also came mechanically from our complete lack of a primary melee (and a Rogue and Monk that insist on using their Shortbows all the time), so I'm always up in the front. So it probably also involves some tanking and good melee damage output, not longbow-man.
>>
Anons? Way back in AD&D, halflings had a subrace called the Stout, who were reputed to have dwarven blood, and a subrace called the Tallfellow, who were quite obviously implied to have elven blood.

Now, the Stout returned as one of the first official halfling subraces, and I think I could probably pull off a Tallfellow subrace in homebrew, but I'm curious:

What would you call a halfling subrace with similar "presumed" human hybrid ancestry? Strongheart?

And what racial abilities would you give it?
>>
>>50448275
Protection from evil, hold person, hold monster, banishment, these are some ideas for domain spells.
>>
>>50448275
>>50448421
Now for 5th level you have some good stuff like planar binding, dispel evil and dominate person are all good candidates against hold monster. You'd have to choose those yourself.
>>
What would needed to take down an elven god? Namely Corellon.
>>
>>50448421
Here's what I have:

1st alarm, protection from evil and good
3rd arcane lock, zone of truth
5th glyph of warding, magic circle
7th banishment, guardian of faith
9th planar binding, hold monster

Also the Arcana domain has a turn outsider type feature that looks interesting
>>
>>50448475
That's good, you could also take hold person, though it's already in the cleric spell list, arcane lock might be better.

What traits did you have in mind for the domain?
>>
>>50448475
Dispel Evil and Good probably is more thematic than hold monster.
>>
>>50447533
Read about THAC0
>>
>>50448493
You mean fluff, or the abilities it grants?

I was just looking at the Protection or maybe Life (as a kind of generic cleric skillset) for the features apart from the spell list. The Arcane Abjuration part of Arcana domain looks really neat but the lvl 1 feature is too wizardy and the lvl 6 one doesn't really mesh. I guess the 8th level feature has to be either divine strike or potent spellcasting so I guess I should decide whether to be blasty or hitty (leaning towards melee at the moment).

>>50448513
Hmm. A lot of these spells seem to have overlapping uses. That one does look good though.
>>
Can you make Dark Souls/Bloodborne style chars with 5e?
>>
>>50448550
No
>>
>>50448533
Melee would be great, make sure you give it proficiency with heavy armor atleast, gives a great paladin feel, more thematic than a paladin.
>>
>>50448459
Another god of equal or greater power, multiple gods that sort of thing

If you're talking about PCs actually going and attempting to kill Corellon then lolno
>>
>>50448550
What does that even mean?
>>
59th for kobold dragon-hunting party
good morning, /5eg/
>>
What's a good DC to convince a hobgoblin warlord to give up his only daughter for marriage?
>>
Binding Domain

>Domain Spells
Cleric Level Spells
1st alarm, protection from evil and good
3rd arcane lock, zone of truth
5th glyph of warding, magic circle
7th banishment, guardian of faith
9th dispel evil and good, planar binding

>1: Heavy armor proficiency, shield of the faithful (PROTECTION)
Reaction to impose disadv. on attack within 5'
>2: Channel Dvinity: Arcane Abjuration (ARCANA)
Turn outsiders, and banish them for 1 minute at higher levels
>6: Blessed Healer (LIFE/PROTECTION)
2+spell level hit points to self
>8: Divine Strike (LIFE/PROTECTION)
+1d8 radiant to attacks
>17: doesn't matter, will never play that far

Balanced? How does arcane abjuration stack against the other CDs like preserve life, radiance of the dawn and guiding strike?
>>
>>50448649
What's his armor class?
>>
>>50448649
Depends on the situation. If the marriage is already a good deal for him then it would be pretty easy, so 15 or 10 maybe. If he's already against it it would be near impossible without presenting a good argument. 30 on the latter.
>>
>>50448667
Arcane abjuration sucks if you're not in a campaign dealing heavily with things its be relevant against.

The reason I've not played an Arcana Cleric really. Compared to Tempest/Life/Light/other good CDs it just sucks. And Arcana's CD works vs more stuff than yours
>>
>>50448669
19 without his shield, 21 with it
>>
>>50448685
>And Arcana's CD works vs more stuff than yours
I mean I'd copy it directly.
>>celestial, elemental, fey, or fiend of your choice that
I just used "outsider" as shorthand for that.
>>
>>50448378
wouldn't call it anything cause it doesn't need to exist. there are already three halfling subraces. just rename one
>>
I'm DMing a game with a player who keeps on trying to go everywhere naked (probably for shits and giggles, hopefully not magical realm). Ideas for how to mess with him?
>>
>>50448709
Everyone laughs

Charisma save to not shrivel and get laughed at even harder
>>
>>50448709
A gang of ogres catch him and begin raping him. The rest of the party rescues him, but only after he's well and truly defiled.
>>
>>50448709
Strong wind comes around, he has to do Con saving throws or will get one level of exhaustion, unless he is a Goliath of course.
>>
>>50448692
So the DC is 19 or 21 then, repeat until dead or unconcious

>>50448696
Gotcha, as I said it's still one of the worst generally.

In a campaign fighting against the demon king and his horde of fiends? Bretty ok then. Otherwise bad. Might be fluff appropriate, but bad.
>>
>>50448649
I wouldn't set a single DC for it. That shit is a multi DC skill challenge type situation.
>>
>>50448732
The main bad in the campaign (and kind of what the order of binders were binding) is fiends. I think. Although we've only fought fiends maybe three times so far, it's linked to the theme.
>>
>>50448720

This is pretty good, definitely going to happen next time he goes into town.

>>50448725

I mean, the whole point is to avoid the magic realm...

>>50448729

Be pretty funny if this just keeps on happening until he maxes out his exhaustion. All because he never put clothes on. Anyone got anything else? Having guards insist he put clothes on is getting kind of dull.
>>
>>50448768
A noble wizard feels disgraced that he is shown a naked man walking into the streets and makes plans to fuck his shit up.
>>
>>50448768
Don't emphasize the sexual aspect; emphasize the terror and brutality. Make it abundantly clear that he will never be the same again, and he probably won't ever feel comfortable in sexual situations. Even nudity might require a save to maintain in the presence of others, lest he be overwhelmed by shame and self-loathing.
>>
>>50448786

I have a whole nation of asshole noble wizards in my setting, this one will definitely get used
>>
>>50448794
>Don't emphasize the sexual aspect; emphasize the terror and brutality.
Are you fucking trolling? Don't emphasize the sexual aspect so maybe don't fucking put rape in your games at all.
>>
Why do people hate alignment so much?

Lawful-chaotic seems very useful to me for determining quickly the social behaviours of somebody.
You can tell straight away that a gnoll will tend towards being nomadic and not giving a shit about honour whereas a kobold is more likely to join part of a hierarchy.

Good-Evil is a very simplistic way to say 'does this person ultimately want to be at peace with everything around it, or just want everything for themselves?'

Yes, it doesn't describe your entire character like a whole autobiography does, but it's literally just two fucking words for up to nine combinations with the possibility of unaligned or something too. What's wrong with that?
>>
>>50448768
Make his catch a disease, but make the effects more funny than punishing.
>>
>>50448805
But the pain and humiliation is vital in discouraging the behavior
>>
>>50448378
Wholelings
Three-quarterlings
>>
>>50448709
Cold weather saves would have disadvantage if not wearing any suitable clothing.

If they move to a totalitarian place, they WILL get arrested. Heck, maybe even the local guards can just fucking arrest them already.
If they try to resist, remember that the strong point of lawful creatures is that they have more lawful creatures to back them up. It only takes a few guards to shove a barbarian to the ground, grapple them and disarm them, even if the barbarian is raging and at a high level.

People will obviously have a bad opinion of them.

Have a trap that does immense damage to unprotected things but very little to anything wearing something. Imagine it like alpha radiation, the trap designed to kill off monsters such as slimes while leaving humans and those that wear clothes mostly unharmed.
Say, a 'magical ray' trap that blasts you, and the damage is massively reduced depending on armour/clothing.
Simply wearing clothing might be enough to reduce the damage to a quarter.
>>
>>50448802
A whole nation of asshole noble wizards sounds gamebreaking, especially when a large band of level 2 wizards can beat practically anything.
>>
>>50448709
>>50448863
And it goes without saying no shop would serve them and no tavern would allow them.

But I wonder if OP was thinking of town/social or dungeon/combat situations?
>>
>>50448876
>he has to sleep naked out on the streets with thieves and muggers everywhere that would steal anything they have
I don't get what OP's problem is.
>>
>>50448873

It's alright, they're busy fighting a nation of equally game-breaking monsters, which is why most people are ignored by them. Except when they're being taken as slaves, but whatever.

>>50448876

Both, really. So far it hasn't come up too much when they're in dungeons (it only started happening recently, when the barbarian took 'unarmored defense' a little too seriously)
>>
>>50448884
About nakedness, should I tell my heavily armored players to take off their gear when sleeping?
I don't think sleeping in plate armor would be very comfortable. And if they take their stuff off and an encounter occurs at night should they fight in their pajamas?
>>
>>50448918
Eh, isn't there's all kinds of padding inside armour, I imagine sleeping in it would be like having your own sleeping bag and hard surface combined so you wouldn't feel any stones underneath. Though probably a bit sweaty and smelly.
>>
>>50448918
If you do that, it's a bit unfair.

It punishes anyone who has dumped dex (Which is already punishing enough to them already) by making them super squishy (so the party's tank could become even weaker than the wizard if they don't have armour on). At the very least you should probably give them some padding that's sort of like light armour and doesn't penalize them for negative dex.

Heavy armour gives barely enough benefits to justify giving such a penalty, so for 5e I'd probably avoid doing it except in certain situations, such as on rare occasions in a city where everybody thinks they're perfectly safe and thus nobody in the party is prepared at all.

>>50448904
Please say they're all portent wizards for maximum gamebreak.
>>
>>50448808
It ultimately leads to confusion when players use it.
>>
>>50448947
>>50448931
I'll let them sleep with their armor on then.
Also thank god for all these online calculators for fictive moon phases and other shit. No way I could calculate them myself for a made up planet with three moons.
>>
>>50448960
Well, that's true.
I suppose it's not awfully untuitive, despite the limited number of options.
>>
>>50448947

There is a sect of them that uses magic, but most of them use psionics (which happens when you port over a setting from 2e).
>>
What do I do with a player who seems incapable of learning any rules no matter how may times I explain how shit works?
On a level up I reminded the players that hey had two ability points to assign, and he just added two on everything. He also had an extra skill picked since counting to two is apparently too hard.
>>
File: I have some concerns.png (79KB, 457x472px) Image search: [Google]
I have some concerns.png
79KB, 457x472px
How would you handle a Warlock using Create Thrall on another player?
>>
what is ASI?
>>
>>50449131
Ability Score Improvement
>>
>>50449131
Autistic Shitposting Idiot
>>
>>50449055
Depends.
Are they actively trying to learn, but screwing up?
Help them out with a cheat sheet.
Do they simply not care enough to attempt to learn the game?
Boot them, they will simply become a wear on you.
>>
>>50446624
The only time a class could be banned by alignment is if its power source is an intelligent entity which controls the spigot of power-juice and can opt to turn it off whenever they are displeased by the character's actions.

Most of the alignment restricted classes in past editions didn't meet this criteria, and they were dumb. Barbarians don't get their power from any entity, so what force is decreeing they lose their ability to get pissed off if they like to follow local laws? Bards don't get their power from any entity, so how does the dragonblood (or whatever) in their veins dissipate if they stop being little shitheels all the time?

For a class to have alignment restrictions, you would need a very narrow set of entities, all of the same mind, granting powers. That doesn't jive with 5E's design philosophy, where they try to fit multiple sides of the same alignment coin into each base class, and only specialize further with alignment. Even Paladins don't care about alignment now since they draw power from the world and their word itself, and the specifics of losing that power don't care if you're being Lawful or Chaotic or whatever else at the time (nor do they preclude you from doing Evil at times where your oath isn't relevant).

Clerics are the only thing remotely alignment-locked now, and that's not even a hard rule. One would expect that a Cleric of Lathander would lose his power if he started walking around telling everyone life sucks, there's no point, embrace the darkness, I'm gonna murder babies now.
>>
>>50449105
It depends on a lot of things. Tell me about your players. Are they good roleplayers? Do they keep their enjoyment separate from the success of their characters? Are they attractive members of the opposite sex?
>>
How effective would a bard with a level in wizard be using booming blade+tumble from college of satire. Was thinking about taking a level in wizard after three bard levels. I'm sure it's not ideal but it sounds fun, just wanted to make sure there's not something I'm missing that makes it garbage. I haven't played in like 15 years and that was 3.5.
>>
>>50449248
Why would you even bother?
>>
>>50449105
>he thinks anyone believes his group is level 14
>he thinks Create Thrall on PCs is the biggest problem a level 14 group is going to encounter
>he didn't read the description of the ability or the Charmed condition
First, players using that shit on each other is fucking stupid.
Second, players don't make social checks against each other, because that's also fucking stupid. If your DM ever tells you to roll whatever to oppose your party member's Intimidate, you have a shitty DM and a shitty tablemate.

All Create Thrall would do is cause the afflicted to not be able to wilfully harm the caster. That's it. It's not mind control, it's not brainwashing, it's not even making someone your best friend. It's advantage on Persuade, Intimidate, and Bluff.

Tell the dickhead Warlock this and explain how it pretty much means nothing and ask him if he still wants to be a douche and do it. If he says "Yeah" while fully cognizant of the giant pile of nothing this feature does to another PC, slap his dumb ass and tell him to just stab his unconscious partymate if he feels like revealing what a massive tool he is.
>>
>>50449271
>The no group makes it past character creation meme.

Just because you have a shitty history of driving wedges into groups and them breaking up around you doesn't mean other people can't enjoy the game.

My group of close friends made it all the way to twenty in a year and a half of weekly meetings.

So can we all just agree that only autistics can't play high level games?
>>
>>50449320
>My group of close friends made it all the way to twenty in a year and a half of weekly meetings
how many of your supermodel wives are currently giving you blowjobs under the desk in your penthouse suite as you make high-powered business deals and shitpost on 4chan, Anon?
>>
>>50449264
Because I don't know the fucking game after not playing it since I was a kid. I'm just wondering about different combinations reading up on them before having started my campaign.
>>
>>50449335
I'm just wondering what it is about one level in wizard that you want anon.
>>
>>50449363
Seems like it gives more spell versatility and can use it to make me a better skill monkey.
>>
>>50449271
Well, the group is currently lvl 17
It's more that one of them is posing as an ally while planning to betray them, and will secretly make one of them his thrall before he does so
You sound like you need to talk some stuff out, though
>>50449236
The players are all good friends, hell we have to be to have made it this far without wanting to kill each other. I really don't see how attractive they are and what their gender is has to do with anything though...
>>
>>50449403
Since the players are good friends, what I would suggest is to first talk with the warlock, and see if he or she is willing to directly approach the character in character.

She can sell it as a direct line to each other, no matter what the distance between them is.

>>50449392
It doesn't really. You don't gain bonus proficiencies from multiclassing. The spell versatility won't help because you delay your spell progression, which actually hurts you.

Just take magical initiate as a feat.
>>
>>50447474
Just ignore the second part.
Lawful, Neutral, Chaotic. These are all fine.
>>
>>50449403
>he's been planning on betraying the party for 17 levels
You are way past the point where the bad guy infiltrator has a crisis of conscience and realizes the Power of Friendship is superior to his magical bonds, the power-hungry wants of his selfish patron, and personal profit.
>>
>>50449459
>settings with objective moralities not having a better-defined Good vs. Evil axis than a Law vs. Chaos one
ha ha, no
>>
>>50449440
Hm, alright thanks, not sure if it's worth a feat though.
>>
>>50449471
>Lawful
The laws set by the gods of creation. If you follow "the plan" you're lawful. If you spit at the gods and defy the fates, you're chaotic.
>>
Alignment is dumb shit for roleplaying babbies.

It's only still in D&D because it's original content and not cribbed from elsewhere.
>>
>>50448808

Because a lot of people are fucking retards. There have always been shit players that saw CN as a CE in disguise Evil alignments as playing raving lunatic murderhobos and LG as CE versions of their most hated authority figure. This of course lead to shitty autistic debates on morality where morons defended burning an entire village down to keep the common cold from spreading and suddenly everyone hates the very concept of alignments
>>
File: pantheon.png (15KB, 923x675px) Image search: [Google]
pantheon.png
15KB, 923x675px
I've been making a pantheon and I decided to have gods that represent different concepts or aspects and are paired so that every one has an opposite.
I felt only 4 would be too few so I threw in combinations of two concepts as minor deities associated with their two parent aspects and have the four classical elements attributed to them.
What do you think? Does the pantheon cover enough?
>>
>>50449440
I did suggest selling it as a method of communication if he were to approach them directly about it, he thought it'd be far more dramatic to do it secretly and when the reveal came about they would be unable to attack him
>>50449464
The guy has a massive flair for the theatrics, and he sees it as the longer he stays with them the more dramatic the reveal will be.
Think
>But you were the best man at my wedding! You helped deliver my wife's baby!
>>
>>50449550
>You helped deliver my wife's baby!
>guess who else I made my servants
>>
tying a creature to an alignment is only for creatures whose essence is incapable for changing their alignment (ie devils, demons, angels, some fae, etc). Not most humanoids.

If you really want to define your characters in alignments replace good/evil with community/self and replace law/chaos with rigid/fluid. Nicety and cruelty are not apart of that equation. This works pretty well to explain extraplanar beings. Angels are about community and rigidity. Nature spirits might be about community and fluidity. Devils might be selfish and rigid while demons might be selfish but fluid.
>>
>>50449545
My issue with this pantheon is that it feels a little forced. Like there's this two-axis alignment system that you arbitrarily assigned elements to, and then stuck the gods perfectly at each corner. Pantheons tend to evolve a bit more organically than that, and established gods often have more complex motivations than "death and law and I guess water"
>>
>>50449545
Kind of depends on what each of your concepts stands for. For example is fire just like, burning stuff, or is it love and war and sex and the hearth and also fire? Or are they philosophical or moral ideals?
>>
>>50449581
Oh I know, this pantheon is deliberately made to be so. It's all a ruse of the true gods who don't even actually care about people, they just made these as siphons for belief.
The real gods spend most of their time asleep so they needed something to take the stage so people would still empower them.
I guess I should've told that part too.
>>
>>50449607
I don't think there's anything stopping them from representing both the physical and philosophical sides of them.
>>
>>50449493
>Tying it to gods.
No.
>>
>>50449609
*tips fedoras*
>>
>>50449654
I just wanted my gods to be disdainful and greedy, is that bad?
>>
>>50448314
It sounds like a fun game. I say, do it anyway. Even if it isn't optimal, you'll have an adventure for sure with that kinda roleplay
>>
>>50449668
Why not make the gods something everyone fears then like Greek gods.

Gods fucking around were the explanation for why bad things happen to good people, they were jackasses.
>>
>>50449545
>>50449581
Water is definitely an element of life.
>>
Is 5e actually enjoyable or nah? Holistically I mean.
>>
>>50449695
I don't really remember the origin of all this, it's from a notebook from 5 years back that I recently found again. I guess I wanted a divine conspiracy of some kind.
>>50449708
Maybe swap water and earth then?
>>
>>50449722
A divine conspiracy is fine, but it doesn't need to be EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW IS A LIE.

If you want divine conspiracy have the gods unable to communicate with their followers because they are actually warring against something. Something that wants to take their place.
>>
How do I deal damage as Lore Bard? Shillelagh+GFB? Vicious Mockery is pretty.

Not looking to out dps fighter or something, I just don't want to feel useless.
>>
>>50449717
Yeah it's fun
>>
What's a good tool to create homebrew class tables with? I'm not seeing an option on Homebrewery, unless I'm missing something.
>>
>>50449772
Why would you go into melee as a Lore Bard? You can easily take a nuke with one of your magical secrets at 6.
>>
>>50449772
You are gonna spend your level 6 magical secrets to get these Cantrips?
>>
>>50449717
For a couple months, but then you achieve system mastery and it gets boring, because there isn't anything there.
>>
>>50449772
>bard
>useless

Uh..?
>>
>>50449717
Define "enjoyable"
And then I'll say "yes" anyway because yeah, it's fun
>>
>>50449854
Please elaborate more?
>>
Speaking of bard, who is the ultimate "I don't need the spotlight, I just want to support the other party members" character? Bard or cleric?
>>
>>50449875
Depends on the subtype, really. For example, Life, Knowledge and maybe Protection Clerics just want to help out the party as their class design while Light, Tempest and Death Clerics are more showy off.
>>
>>50449874
Different anon, but the system is relatively simple and there aren't many splats out, so people who rely on overly-specific options to spur their imagination don't derive as much enjoyment from character creation.
And that's dumb, because every character still has a nice amount of abilities that work well together due to the class + archetype system, and the ones that do exist can already represent about 95% of all characters you'd want to play in a D&D game.
>>
>>50449717
It's honestly a great system. Inspiration and advantage, not to mention the death mechanics are all very satisfying / exciting. Like all roleplay games, you will need a good GM to really make the game enjoyable, but 5e definitely wont hinder you.

I'd like a few more feats, honestly, but that's probably my only complaint.
>>
>>50448493
>That's good, you could also take hold person, though it's already in the cleric spell list, arcane lock might be better.

Domain spells aren't about adding non-Cleric spells to the spell list.

Domain spells are always prepared. If you have Hold Person on your domain list, you never have to prepare it as a spell. You just always know it. You can prepare something else as a spell.
>>
>>50448685
>Arcane abjuration sucks if you're not in a campaign dealing heavily with things its be relevant against.

Running into a fiend/fey/elemental/celestial is way more likely than running into an undead.
>>
>>50449819
Only for Shillelagh. GFB can be grab via feat or being a dirty Elf.

>>50449818
> implying your DM doesn't send monsters to mage
> implying you don't run out of spell ever
>>
>>50449937
>> implying you don't run out of spell ever
> Implying that's not literally the reason cantrips exist
>>
>>50449874
Combat is extremely simple, to the point of boredom. Since most people play dnd as 50 to 75 percent combat encounters, this means most of the game quickly becomes boring.
>>
File: ouxfe.jpg (106KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
ouxfe.jpg
106KB, 750x500px
>>50447561
>>50447588
>>50447709
>>50448523
It's called descending AC you uncultured swine
>>
>>50449937
Not that guy but, you could just take firebolt and do fair damage while remembering to give yourself spacing between your enemies. Incase of enemies going for you invisibility works fine.
>>
>>50449979
The only points where combat is simpler than it was in 3.pf are improvements.

Examples:
No full attack
No move "action"
>>
>>50449977
And that's the point. Vicious Mockery do pitiful damage. 2d4 at level 6...?

When I could whack enemy for 2d8+4 and 1d8+4 to another target (get GFB as variant Human or variant Half-Elf).
>>
>>50448808

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgPhiLBW7jo
>>
>>50450004
> firebolt
> not eldritch blast

Force > Fire. There is only 1 force immunity monster, while there are like 40 for fire.
>>
>>50450021
Oh gee, if only Vicious Mockery had some other effect than damage.
>>
>>50448178
Isn't the total number of dice you have EQUAL TO YOUR LEVEL?
>>
>>50450021
>Vicious Mockery do pitiful damage
...and applies disadvantage to the target's next attack, almost guaranteeing it will miss the tank. You said you wanted to feel useful? Use it.
>>
>>50450032
Firebolt is easier to get if you go for Elf, and magic initiate wizard I think is better compared to magic initiate warlock.
>>
>>50449992
Gee, its almost like my AD&D books mention THAC0, but not that.
>>
>>50450037
>>50450033
/5eg/ always said killing thing dead is the best damage reduction.
>>
>>50449626
D&D has objective chaos and law, just like good/evil, Limbo is the a pure plane like the abyss.
>>
>>50450093
Casters are better utility than face smashers, and you chose the castier archetype.
>>
>>50449937
3rd level: Fireball or whatever nuke you pick up
2nd level: Shatter
1st level: Dissonant Whispers

When you've run out of ALL of those, you STILL won't want to go into melee because you are a primary caster with mediocre HP and AC. Furthermore, you are a support caster, more akin to a cleric than a warlock, and so will have important jobs to do that aren't damage.
>>
>>50450115
>Limbo-chan is pure!
You wish, gith.
>>
>>50450014
I'm making the comparison to 4e.
>>
What if Wizards gave us, in their next book, the rules to make custom classes/archetypes from their pre-existing rules-sets?
>>
>>50450143
How does 5e compare to 4e? We're having fun with 4e at the mo.
>>
>>50450093
>/5eg/ always said killing thing dead is the best damage reduction.

Then you wouldn't be playing a caster at all.
>>
>>50450157
Or just gave us rules to make custom classes and archetypes.
>>
>>50450037
>Has disadvantage on next attack roll
>Casts spell requiring saving throw or:
>Grapples or shoves a target or:
>Just takes the disadvantage on the first of 2-3 attacks

Note this is sort of metagaming, depending on whether or not your DM considers "subtle enchantments" in words a subtle effect.
>>
>>50450093
That's partially true. D&D isn't like an MMO where you want the healers to be constantly healing in the middle of combat. You want to save the in-combat healing for people who actually hit 0HP so they don't miss a turn. Your other functions are to help others kill with spells like Faerie Fire or to disable enemies with spells like Hold Person and Plant Growth to make them skip turns. Sometimes dealing damage is the right thing to do, but you're not the best at it, nor should you try to be.
>>
>>50450143
I see. In that case...

>>50450168
It's basically a different game. Not that I don't like 4e, but it handles very differently from every other edition. 5e is more similar to older editions of D&D.
Ostensibly it looks similar to 3e, but it's not really. You choose what class to level up each time you gain a level, and the similarity ends there. It took certain cues from 4e - classes that aren't boring to single-class and skill-tagging, primarily.
Other than that, expect some class differences that are larger than in 4e but with less clearly-defined roles (which some people like because it feels less pidgeonhole-y). Warrior-types attack multiple times per round and often have ways to increase their damage. Casters prepare a list of spells and spend limited daily resources on them.
Very importantly, level scaling is a LOT smaller than in 4e. A level 3 party will not automatically get facerolled by a level 7 monster (in fact, if they're willing to spend resources, they can probably beat it), and conversely, enough goblins can threaten a level 20 adventurer.
This difference is made even sharper due to the much, much lower reliance on magic items with pluses. Unlike 4e, which is balanced around continuous weapon/armor upgrades, 5e is balanced around not getting those at all. That means that when you DO find a +1 or +2 sword, it's that much more exciting, because it's an actual bonus rather than a necessity.
Situational bonuses to skill checks/attacks/etc. hardly exist. Instead, you can have advantage or disadvantage. Basically you roll twice and take the higher result (advantage) or the lower one (disadvantage).
And that's basically all the important differences.
>>
>>50450216
Speaking of plant growth... what happen when my Druid use that with Sleet storm?
>>
>>50450168
Not very well imo. Combat in 4e is pretty fun, with team combos, a tight mechanic system that enables quick, consistent rulings, and a lot of tactical depth. None of that is really present in 5e.

Roleplay wise, 5e and 4e are a tie.
>>
>>50450335
This is a lie and you know it.
Roleplay-wise, 5e is better because classes have more noncombat class features. Even the barbarian has a lot of interesting noncombat utility abilities. 4e had very, very few of those.
Combat-wise, it depends on your preferences. If you want a complex tactical experience, all the power to you. Play 4e. If you want a smooth system where you don't have to add five different bonuses to each power roll, play 5e.
>>
Can I have some names for human kingdoms?
>>
File: badass old man.jpg (152KB, 900x1179px) Image search: [Google]
badass old man.jpg
152KB, 900x1179px
For fun and because I hate myself, I've decided to take on the foolish task of rebuilding the monk class from the ground up. I decided to call it the Martial Artist, and I've got three archetypes so far:
>Brawler: Strength-based warrior who uses his ki to pummel foes with brutal attacks and dominate the battlefield by knocking foes down or sending them flying, and who gains features to ignore or negate incoming damage
>Monk: A religious warrior who specializes in exorcism and banishment, using their ki to fuel mystical powers to fight against fiends, undead, and other supernatural creatures
>Swordsage: A skilled warrior who learns various stances and maneuvers and uses their ki to accomplish feats of supernatural skill

What would you say are the essential monk class features that are worth keeping? Is there anything iconic about monks that's worth carrying on to this version?
>>
File: 1447768587363.jpg (502KB, 1697x2324px) Image search: [Google]
1447768587363.jpg
502KB, 1697x2324px
>>50450425
>Even the barbarian has a lot of interesting noncombat utility abilities

What are those The ability for Frenzy Barbarians to try to scare someone as an action? That was an ability in 4e as well.

Or the ability for Totem barbarians to cast speak with animals and the like? Again, something totally possible in 4e.

Those are the only real non-combat abilities in the 5e Barbarian class.

Rather, what 5e does is FORCE you to take those abilities by locking you into them. In 4e, you could have taken those abilities- but they were just a few out of dozens of other options, and so many players felt they were obligated to take the most mechanically advantageous abilities for combat that they pretty much neglected roleplaying or utility options.
>>
>>50450537
Don't fix what isn't broken
>>
>>50450585
Look, I get that this is going to be an unpleasant and stupid thing, but I'm going to do it anyway.
>>
>>50450537
>>What would you say are the essential monk class features that are worth keeping?

1) Unarmed damage
2) AC bonus
3) Movement bonus
4) Spend points to do cool attacks
>>
>>50450537

I've reflavored my Monks as Martial Adepts. They use Sorcery Points instead of Ki, and they lose a lot of the Asian baggage. They're individuals who intuitively channel magic through their amazing actions/physical capabilities rather than through spells.
>>
>>50450603
You should spend your time on making something that's more urgently needed, like a Warden or an Avenger.
>>
>>50450425
You can use 4e abilities outside of combat if they aren't attacks. Barbarians get to break things easy, and jumping bonuses iirc.

But mostly what I meant was the role-playing system is the same outside of combat. You roll skill checks and compare the result to a DC. You act out the result and your response and then repeat. 5e gets points for offering some interesting out of combat features that admittedly aren't in 4e. 4e gets points for offering good advice to DMs on how to run things outside of combat. 5e has no good advice in the dmg for this.

Overall, it's a tie.
>>
>>50450425
My guy, I generally prefer 5e because of the ease of access to mechanics and lean towards improvisation from players, but every class in 4e got Utility Powers and had noncombat options as well as combat options, even before you look at things like skill feats that let anyone take, say, the ability to roll any knowledge check as history once a day, or to bluff and bullshit an entire arcane ritual in order to use less reagents.
>>
>>50450684
It's not in the DMG, but technically nothing is stopping you from taking the advice in the 4e DMG and applying it to 5e. You can even run skill challenges.
I do get what you mean, though - the 5e DMG has very different focus than its predecessors.

>>50450699
My bad - I stopped playing before skill feats became a thing. And I guess I did ignore utility powers, even if many of them are combat-oriented.
Thanks for the clarification.
>>
is there any "small version" of the bag of holding, such as the pocket of pilfering, or the moneypouch of Mary Poppins that one could more easily find at a magic shop?
>>
>>50450642
Would Warden as an Eldritch Knight with druid spells be OK?
What are the main components of a Warden?
>>
>>50450797
Portable hole
>>
So Volo's and the Tome of Beasts have both released somewhat recently so the MM has been expanded plenty
but will the DMG magic items section get any love like this or will i have to keep making shit up/finding shit other anons have made up?
>>
>>50450797
handys haversack is essentially a smaller bag of holding but i think its rarer than the original for whatever reason
>>
>>50450805
Think ira gamagori.
>>
>>50450895
>ira gamagori
i'm not a fucking weeb you'll have to be a bit more articulate than showing me one cartoon character

if it's an entire subclass, it has to fit multiple characters

I'm reading the 4E Warden entry, it doesn't seem to be a very well defined class at all. What's the big deal?
>>
>>50450251
In theory, creatures moving through an area affected by both spells will have to spend 6 feet of movement for every 1 foot they move (1 extra foot for difficult terrain plus 4 extra feet for Plant Growth, plus the 1 foot to actually move with.) In practice, the DM may decide that the ice kills the plants and makes them ordinary difficult terrain.
>>
>>50451024
It's basically a warrior who incorporates primal magic into his fighting, and eventually learns transformation techniques. A fighter archetype could work.
>>
>>50451123
I see, thanks.

Maybe something like expending spell slots for a weaker wild shape?
>>
>>50448810
Just give him hookworms from walking around barefoot.
It punishes him but ignores that his dick is out.
Repeat until he has to cover himself
>>
File: tumblr_od29iov1IR1t17kgeo1_500.gif (170KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_od29iov1IR1t17kgeo1_500.gif
170KB, 500x333px
>>50451024
4e had a philosophy for classes where they basically laid out all of the power sources (divine, primal, arcane, martial, eventually ki/psionic, shadow, etc) and the 4 roles (defender, leader, controller, striker) in a grid and made a new class for each combination. It's not bad, but a different philosophy from 5e, so often it can be found that a 4e class is better represented as 5e archetype or a specific existing build/reflavor.
So, while warden shared a lot of lore ground with rangers, druids, and similar, its mechanics were thoroughly different. Those mechanics are yet to be particularly well adapted to 5e. Building a class from the ground up is unnecessary, and the closest class thematically now is druid.
Perhaps a warden could be built as a druid circle that uses wildshape to instead become forces of nature that provide area debuffs to enemies or boons to allies, but they seem like they'd slot into a 5e half caster, a strength-encouraged ranger convent that transforms or at least uses different stances which invoke magical aspects perhaps, or even a paladin oath (though there might be too much overlap with Ancients and features like smite that stand out as unfitting).
>>
>>50451024

4e Wardens are master shapeshifters. they take on various aspects of nature, such as gaining stone-like armor, gaining the senses of an eagle, extending their arms like vines, or sprouting spines. Battleshapers of a sort.

They're mortals imbued with the various aspects of nature and tasked with protecting it by being its bulwark.
>>
>>50451198
>Battleshaper
...you know, I literally just said I don't think it needs its own class, but maybe there is enough ground for that. Archetypes at level 1 due to huge thematic difference; wardens, corruptions by fiends or far realms giving awful claws or tentacles (what was that one edgy game with the guy who had 2 snake bioweapons made of black magic stuff?), maybe a self-forged or cyborg...
>>
>>50451174
The 5e conversion guide actually suggests ancients paladin as a su stitute for warden. They do get that thing where they change appearancw but don't turn into any specific animal.
>>
>>50451024

I really enjoyed playing a Warden in 4e. I played a Bugbear Warden who hammered people into the ground with a giant hammer.

I think one of the main things Wardens have is that they transform into Elementals, but it was a huge feature of their class and I think it would almost be reserved for boss fights.

Though honestly, Oath of Ancients Paladin kinda fits the idea of a Warden except it doesn't have awesome monster/elemental shapeshift.

Though I think Warden would have a D12.

If I were to make a Warden I wouldn't emulate the Druid shapeshift. I would have it so the Warden and the Shapeshift share hit points in some way. Where the Shapeshift has more HP but taking damage in Shapeshift reduces player HP by a certain amount.

>Shapeshift HP = Player HP * 1.5 rounded down.
>Warden Level 1 HP = 15 (Level1, D12+3(atleast 16 con obviously))
>Shapeshift Level 1 HP = 22.5, so 22.
>Shapeshift takes 5 damage, reduced to 17 HP.
>Damage in Warden form = Damage in Shapeshift/1.5
>Warden HP total reduced to 11
Though in reality all you'd have to do is divide HP total of Shapeshift of 1.5 rounded down when shapeshifting back, no need to do it on every damage interval.

Obviously the Shapeshift would have its own stats for AC, Speed, Damage etc etc.

Admittedly i think Barbarian/Paladin multiclass is kinda of the perfect Warden if you just theme you Rage to be some kind of Elemental thing. Maybe go the UA path of the Storm and have cool elemental shit raging around you.

I now know my next character concept.
>>
>>50451147
It's not that type of transformation. It's like taking on an aspect of nature, like the antlers and swiftness of a stag, or the whiteness and chillness of winter.
>>
>>50451246

It can definitely use its own class. D&D has sorcerer, wizard, druid, bard, and cleric, all of whom are guys in light-ish armor, poor weapon choices, a metamagic/buff/shapechange/domain/spellbook mechanic and slightly different spell lists.

You could have had a "spellcaster" class with different thematic types of magic and let Acolyte= Cleric, Entertainer= Bard, Scholar= Wizard, and Hermit= Druid.

You'd think a guy who fights by turning his body into different elements would be sufficiently different from a Fighter or Paladin to warrant a new class compared to Nature Clerics vs Land Druids.
>>
>>50451147

Think more like Metamorpho, Clayface, or Groot.
>>
>>50451325
That's needlessly complicated, especially when the original warden powers in 4e didn't replace your stat block and just gave you some extra abilities. Just have them work the same way. Like, there's an option that grants some temporary HP, there's an option that increases your AC, etc.
>>
>>50447474

Either tie it back into the Wars in Heaven or drop it entirely. As originally designed it was to pick teams for the apocalypse and it worked fine for that. The fail was when people stopped keying it into whether you were rooting for the Wind Dukes of Aaqa or the Queen of Chaos and tied it into whether you were over-tipping or hitting on the waitress and about a million things besides.

Personally, in its current state I say drag it out behind the chemical sheds and shoot it. Or in 5e's case drag it back out to the chemical sheds and shoot it again since the first time didn't take.
>>
File: 1428988632880.jpg (348KB, 1241x900px) Image search: [Google]
1428988632880.jpg
348KB, 1241x900px
>>50451335
I'm really, enjoying brainstorming this now, despite formerly having been unable to work out even an archetype that satisfied me for various other attempts.
>Half caster, light/medium armor and shields, martial weapons
>Archetypes chosen at level 1
>Warden, right what it says on the box
>Abomination (Horror?), fiendish or far realm taint and mutation, think Darkest Dungeon character or tentacle arms
>Spectral, a powerful spirit or aspect of an undead and a Jojo trash standin
>Self-Forged, augmentations of metal and magic that rebuild you faster, stronger, better
>Ability to grow a natural weapon that increases in damage, 1d6 scaling to 1d12 at endgame, eventually can incorporate magic weapons into it
>Invocation-like "Manifestations" that you know a handful of, all are activated by spell slots like a smite, things like brief auras, debuffs, modifications to your natural weapon
>Eventually increasingly powerful transformations that allow more use of certain archetype features/Manifestations
>>
>>50451558
So the Warden Archetype would be moreso Primal/Nature stuff?

Additionally for the Abomination one we would definately need
>Form of Mimic's Trickery
Turn into a Mimic
>>
>>50451558

I think a model closer to the Warlock would be even better. but leave out a lot of the expanded caster options.

d10 or d12 HP, Proficiency in Con and Wis saves, medium armor and melee martial weapons.

1st level, you start down a transformation path with a particular theme (fire, stone, trees, animals, monsters). In places where you'd get an Invocation, you instead get more generic transformation options.

Mystic Pact Boon and Mystic Arcanum get scrapped and instead at level 5 you get extra attack or some kind of super blow that increases damage, and as you go on, you get other endurance/adaptive defensive mechanics.

Stuff like gaining resistance or immunity to a damage type after it hits you, or changing your save proficiency during a rest, or more options for Archetype features where you end up actually transforming into a full on version of whatever it is you were manifesting aspects of.
>>
>>50451666
Would the Warden have access to any healing spells? Cause if we paralleled the Warlock in this, it would then be the only caster that had healing spells refresh on a short rest.
>>
File: 1998848-full_26.jpg (143KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1998848-full_26.jpg
143KB, 1280x720px
>>50451622
>Mimic
I like this idea a lot more than the infernal or pop lovecraftian stuff, and it would make it stand out a lot more compared to all of the other classes which access those.
Not gonna lie, I love the whole "flesh shaped" thing going on with characters like Nightmare, or the Crimson from Terraria.
>>50451666
Maybe, satan. I think d10 is better, and you'd need to change around those saves since those are both high value. I agree with medium armor and shields to start, perhaps one of the Manifestations allows heavy armor?
I think Warden should be its own path, keep all of the naturery things to one. It's up the the player if they want their shield to be a sudden flash of ice, thick bark, or stone.
Perhaps pact magic could work for a half-caster? It would be a very short rest hungry way to do it.

I think each archetype should have domain spells, too, for sure.
>>
>>50451696

Just as the Warlock attaches problematic spells to Invocations, you could do the same with the Warden.

Pound of Flesh/Tree of Life: You give up some of your vitality in the form of 1dx berries that nourish those who eat them as per the goodberry spell. Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.

Or something like that.
>>
I want to make a divination wizard that's fluffed as a seer/augurer.

I want to offer to help the dm with plot points, for example my character could help guide the party thanks to dm-inspired visions, or pass along warnings not to fuck around in x area because it's bad news.

Would that be interesting or annoying for you as a dm?
>>
>>50451738
Unnecessary as a DM, annoying as another player.
>>
>>50451666
>Con and Wis saves
into the trash it goes
>>
>>50451754
Why? Isn't Con used for anything related to poison and Wis for anything related to fear? Both pretty common imo.
>>
>>50451809
Yes, both are common and highly useful saves. No class gets two "good" saves, this is by design.
Those being Dex, Con, and Wis, so you know now.
>>
>>50451752
:( I wouldn't want him to know everything, just a vague vision or two once in a while.
>>
While we're on the subject of homebrewing, I drafted up a Warlord partially based on feedback y'all gave me yesterday.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyJ34Nofx

All feedback is welcome, including negative and unconstructive feedback. Just don't be a dick about it.
>>
>>50451734
Ew. I would never eat berries that came off some gruff warrior dude.
>>
>>50451834
Still annoying
>>
What would be a good name for this transforming class? Something that isn't "taken" like Fleshshaper, or that was uses by something similar in an older edition of D&D proper.
I think Embodiment would work for the subclasses.
>>
>>50451907
Animorph
>>
>>50451809
every class gets one of dex, con or wis as their common save and one of str, int, cha as their uncommon save.

con is used for concentration, hence why resilient (con) is one of the strongest feats in the game.
>>
>>50451666
Keep in mind that the Mystic's varying save is his Wisdom save - Mystics can't have two strong saves either.
Only high-level rogues and monks get multiple good saves.

>>50451907
Just "Shaper" is probably fine.
>>
>>50450035
You can only spend a maximum of half your level at any given time. So yes, a 20th level druid can do an additional 10d10 damage per hit twice per day. That's pretty balanced against other classes.
>>
>>50451834
don't listen to that guy, just talk with your DM, and then with your party.
>>
>>50451738
>>50451823

As a DM I would want this, it sounds sweet to give a player very vague visions on what may occur and he have to decipher it with his group.
>>
>>50451836
Please respond, pretty people
>>
>>50452061
Th-thanks, you too...
>>
>>50452081
>>50451836
I really like the idea of a shout master, but I think it's fairly hard to read.

Also, I hate saying this, but I think this might be better suited as a Fighter Archetype with commands as a list of things he gets access to as he levels up.
>>
>>50452179
you mean a battlemaster? yeah.

basically what I said yesterday: make more team-oriented maneuvers and you can have your warlord by literally taking 1 feat
>>
File: bahumat.jpg (98KB, 600x836px) Image search: [Google]
bahumat.jpg
98KB, 600x836px
Hey TG.
>was GM'ing a game of Castle Strahd when my groups Cleric prayed to Bahumat for the strength and courage to challenge the evil in this land.
>He didn't know he was about to get a tree blight thrown at him.
>Felt thematically carried away so I said in the voice bahumat to him.
>You ask to challenge the evil of this land, a challenge you will have.
>He says he accepts.

>Tree blight attacks, they manage to kill it over the course of an hour of combat(playing time) and every building in the area is completely flattened during the battle.
>Everyone apart from the party druid that has fled in direwolf form is wounded has burnt all their spell slots etc.
>Cheers when it goes down from the players.

Now I know it was probably a newbie GM mistake to be a god but the roleplay was good and I felt like foreshadowing the big fight.

Should I reward him/the group?
If I was to reward him what would be a fitting reward for a cleric that's gained the favour of bahumat?
>>
>>50452179
What do you mean by "hard to read"?

>>50452207
I've been talking to warlord players and martial healing is very important to them. I don't think it's a feature that can be added to any existing class.
>>
>>50452207
I'm not a huge fan of that, I think there are some really cool things you can do with four feature slots than the lazy "Just make a feat".

>>50452249
Hard to read as in things seem disjointed when written out like you do, I think the cart coming before the "Warlord" entry has some weird OCD effect on me.

I think the tricks should be set up like the maneuvers are for Battlemaster. Having some kind of header where it explains how to use them and that the number means the comand points with entries like "1 - Expose Weakness"

This is me also thinking out loud. Overall though it still looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you.
>>
>>50450530

Italy, France, Sweden, Norway.
>>
>>50452321
>a lot of work ahead
That's the plan! :)

So, to summarize:
>Few tricks, so might as well list them together
>Organize commands by cost
>Move things around to have "Warlord" at the very top

I'll start with those changes.
>>
>>50450530
[Animal]'s [Verb]
>>
>>50452249
>>50452321

I'd be okay with a Warlord that doesn't have full actual healing, but it needs to be really good at giving out temporary hitpoints in exchange.

My preference would be for a Warlord class to still use the Battlemaster's maneuver list, but exchange some of the less teamwork based ones for some more. It'd also be nice if they had 2 attacks but many more dice. Essentially, something similar to a valor bard, but with a boatload of superiority dice instead of spells.
>>
>>50452373
A big point I want to make though is that you need to be able to come up with at least three Class Archetypes to really justify making it a class, if you can't I'd recommend just making it a Archetype of fighter. A lot of the work will be done for you and it'll feel cleaner to someone looking at it.
>>
How common are Sorcerers? How many Sorcerers would you say there are per Wizard? How many wizards do you think there are per number of people?
>>
>>50452081
>>50451836
Honestly, if I wanted to play a Warlord I would just Mutliclass Fighter and Bard and theme the Bard stuff to be inspiring speeches and shit like that.

I think your homebrew stuff is fine. It works well. I have a question though, would a Warlord pick Cha or Int based on how they want to specialize? since there's 1 or 2 things that specificy Intelligence, but the rest rely on Charisma?

Additionally i don't think you need to list, on the chart the amount of command points you have as it seems CP=Warlord Level.

>You have a pool of Command Points(CP) that is equal to your Warlord Level. These Command Points are used to execute Commands. You regain all CP on a short or long rest.

Additionally, i think more Tricks could be added. Since there is a limit of 4 Tricks known, it might be good to have more than 4 available so that different Warlords have different Trick loadouts when at max level. Thinking of Invocations from a Warlock.

I would give the Warlord of Fighting Style and maybe a Trick or Command to give that fighting style to another player for X turns or w/e.

Admittedly I'd want the Warlord to have more options for healing as well.
>>
>>50449717
its the most accessible version which is a godsend if you are the DM since its usually you who organises the game

>friend interested in dnd way back
>show him 3rd ed rulebook
>lol nope
>>
>>50450642
You first.
>>
>>50452422
Sorcerers are a dying breed, because wizards are more op, and natural selection is taking its toll.
>>
>>50450115
I think his objection was you tying it to gods. Law, Chaos, Evil, and Good are all above that. Those things existed before there were any Gods or even Primordials, and Ao probably wasn't making Evil and Good, either.

At least as far as FR goes.
>>
>>50450642
I'd agree with Warden, but Avenger seems as easy as an Unarmored Vengeance Paladin Variant
>>
>>50452399
At this point, you're making so many changes to the archetype that it needs to be an entirely new one, and you also want fundamental changes to the class. I think a new class is warranted in this case.

>>50452416
I have two already, but I can add a third if you think it is necessary.

>>50452465
>Chart column
Fair enough - it's a redundant column, even if monks and sorcerers have it.

>>50452491
I would, but as you can see, I'm kind of busy with something else.

>Int/Cha
I actually included a balanced number of intelligence- and charisma-based bonuses. Charisma typically applies to healing, while intelligence typically applies to damage.
The idea is that, like in 4e, a warlord could choose to specialize in one or the other but also be free to have some of both without hitting his overall effectiveness.

>Fighting style
I considered a fighting style, but I don't think it is appropriate. The warlord is not an expert warrior - rather, he helps other warriors perform.
If enough people disagree, I'll add it.

>More tricks
I don't think new tricks are necessary, but if I think of some good ones (or some are suggested) I can add them.

>options for healing
The warlord can heal one or more people with his commands, often while still fighting. He can also give people temporary hp before a battle. I don't think he needs to have full cleric-level healing ability to perform as a support, since he has a lot of other bonuses he gives without giving up many actions.
>>
>>50452627
How would you suggest to calculate the AC for an unarmored paladin? 10 + dex + cha comes to mind, but would be very low unless the paladin is dex-based, and avengers are the coolest when they swing giant swords.
>>
>>50452673
10+con+cha

Just too cool to be hit with a weapon, and when you do get hit, you're tougher than a coffin nail.
>>
>>50450084
THAC0 refers to your To Hit (in fact it's am acronym for To Hit AC 0) and was not implemented until 2e. Do you call ascending AC 'inverse THAC0'?

Of course they don't call it descending AC, they hadn't even INVENTED the ascending one.
>>
>>50452641
>I think a new class is warranted in this case

I'm not saying a new class isn't warranted, I'm saying that there's no reason to invent an entirely new subsystem.

Think of it this way. If Eldritch Knight is a 1/3 version of a Wizard, what would the 'full' version of the Battlemaster look like?
>>
>>50452673
I think it should be Dex, as Avengers were always weirdly stealthy despite their giant weapons. It's the sort of thin I think need a a 2handed finesse weapon or the ability to swing a Greatsword with Cha to work. Possibly a level in Rogue as well to get advantage easily.
>>
>>50452581
I don't think you understand how bloodlines--or math--work.
>>
>>50452422
~~~d e p e n d s o n t h e s e t t i n g~~~
>>
>>50452691
But then you'd have to totally override the default "dex to AC" part of the system.
Which desu, i'm all in favor of because Dex is too goddamn strong.
>>
>>50452722
That's an interesting point - you're suggesting to make a new class, but instead of the command system give it more superiority dice and custom maneuvers? I suppose that might work. What do other people think of this?

>>50451836
>>50452179
>>50452321
>>50452465
>>50452641
Document updated. It is still here:
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyJ34Nofx
>>
>>50452422
For my setting, Sorcerers are more common, but that's due to Sorcerers being nobility whose bloodlines are heavily concentrated in one place. There aren't any major wizard guilds or schools, because such a thing would require state sponsorship to really get going, and the nobles aren't too keen on that.

It also neatly wraps up the setting problem of why a mid-level wizard doesn't just walk into the castle and charm the king.
>>
>>50452785
What would a two handed finesse weapon even be?
Katana?
Yes I was serious
>>
>>50452840
"Dex to AC" isn't really a default, it just so happens that it's used in most AC calculations. Not all of them, though - heavy armor, for instance.
I wouldn't mind giving the avenger a flat +1 while disallowing shields, especially if his AC is based on a tertiary stat (be it dex or con).
>>
>>50452848
>I suppose that might work.

Yeah, I've been meaning to get around to making it myself, but time is always a factor.
>>
>>50452869
uchigatana
>>
>>50452879
At the same time, more superiority dice wouldn't be helpful unless you could spend more than one at a time - it's not like battles last more than 7 rounds anyway. That is at least one argument in favor of a separate system, or at least a heavily modified version of the superiority system.

>>50452869
>Implying katanas require more finesse than scimitars
>>50452883
>Implying uchigatanas aren't basically greatswords
>>
>>50452848

I would make the class Archetypes have their own selective command lists. Like a Healer Archetype and a Damage Archetype maybe.
>>
>>50452871
The option might be to have the Paladin's AC be 11+Dex+Cha while weilding a 2-handed weapon. That prevents people from cheesing it with a shield or just going dex with a Rapier, and makes it more likely the Paladin's AC is going to be closer to 16 when starting out and maybe around 18 or 19 at higher levels.

Something else to consider is that the Avenger was a Striker, not a Defender. In 5e terms, it really should be more like a Rogue. Lower AC, but doing a bunch of damage with smites and big weapons.
>>
>>50452981
Yes, I definitely intend to have every archetype come with a couple of unique commands. I do feel that many commands should be universal, though.
>>
>>50452816
Sorcerers aren't continuing the bloodline, because wizards are cucking them.
>>
>>50452943
>more superiority dice wouldn't be helpful

They most certainly would. Remember, you can spend a superiority die on every attack, and even sometimes more than that, such as for Rally. Even with two attacks, a Warlord could easily be spending 3 dice per turn.

However, another aspect to that is that they recharge on a short rest, but you won't always be having a short rest. Those dice might have to last you for 2 or 3 fights. That might be fine for the battlemaster, who can spend 2 or 3 dice each fight and capitalize it on big ways with their 4 attacks, but for a Warlord who should be directing allies and giving out temp HP rather frequently, it's going to suck to run out.
>>
>>50452943
katanas unironically require more finesse

they were so delicate that parrying caused huge damage to the blade

meanwhile scimitars were just used by horsemen for slashing
>>
>>50449543
>This of course lead to shitty autistic debates on morality where morons defended burning an entire village down to keep the common cold from spreading

Arthas pls
>>
>>50452982
How about:

Divine Protection: when you are not wearing armor or using a shield, your AC is equal to 13+cha modifier.

This doesn't force the pally to spec into dexterity while keeping his AC curve more-or-less on point.

>>50453034
THIS ENTIRE VILLAGE MUST BE PURGED
>>
>>50452869
Are urumi two handed?
Maybe just cop out and say spears or something?
>>
>>50453029
I think that if you're going to be using multiple maneuvers per round, it's going to get bogged down. I don't think 5e wants you to use 2 special abilities on your turn, then 1 as a reaction, all of them requiring extra rolls and decisions. It would slow combat down and not give enough in return, in my opinion.
>>
What are some good level 1-3 bard spells for an undead/fiend/aberration heavy campaign?
>>
>>50453017
Except the Wizards themselves are probably straight up magical enough due to being an amoral dickwizard that anyone they fuck will beget a line of wild magic sorcerers.
>>
LMoP: should I have Gundren go to Wave Echo with the party?
>>
>>50453102
Steal protection from evil and good, probably

>>50453071
I don't think urumi are two handed. They're basically whips that slice people up.
>>
>>50453108
Only the eighth son of the eighth of the eighth son will be a sorcerer. Or the wizards eighth son, however you prefer to say it.
>>
>>50453203
I believe it is actually spelt Sourcerer.
>>
>>50453252
you are correct sir, i apologize
>>
>>50453252
wrong flavour
>>
>>50453094
It won't be much different than a monk with their Ki. A monk can already use Ki on a lot of their strikes for stuns or extra attacks or things.

Besides, just because you can use that many abilities per turn, doesn't mean you always will. I'm not suggesting giving them 100 dice per short rest so they have to burn through them as fast as possible.

Again, compare the Eldritch Knight to Wizard, and Battlemaster to this. More likely would be triple, giving you around 21 dice per short rest, and around 7-10 for any given fight.

If you use Rally on the rest of your party, that's probably going to leave you with 5 left for other maneuvers, which is closer to how long you'd expect a fight to last.

Maneuver+Rally each turn isn't that bogged down, I feel.
>>
What would another Int full-caster be? Additionally, what would an Int Half-Caster be?

Charisma has 2 Full Casters, and 1 half caster, and w/e you want to call Warlock, i mean it gets up to level 9 spells, but not the full amount of spell slots. Wisdom is the same, and i guess the Monk is the special/weird one, though Warlock relies way more on Cha than the Monk does on Wis, if memory serves.

Bonus: If Barbarian was given a Primal Path that allowed Spell casting during Raging, which Spell mod would you give it to be a 1/3rd caster?
>>
>>50453284
I see where you're going with this. So here's another rebuttal. (For the record, I'm seriously considering everything you're saying; I just think a rigorous debate will bring out the best result)

You're suggesting up to ~20 points between short rests, to be spent on various moves. This is exactly what I have in place right now, except that the points are not tied to rolled dice. The other difference is that my system allows for more powerful effects when they are called for, which is necessary for a primary support that essentially emulates a spellcaster.

If you compare the commands to spell lists, you'll see that the warlord gains access to various effects (healing multiple people, granting status effect immunity, etc.) at roughly the same levels as clerics do (some effects come later). And spending extra points to power up weaker commands is also in line with how casters operate.
The superiority dice system simply does not have the flexibility to accomplish these design goals, especially if spending multiple superiority dice also means adding a large roll to attacks or AC, which would be too powerful.

Thoughts?
>>
File: Muscle_Wizard.webm (619KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Muscle_Wizard.webm
619KB, 1280x720px
>>50453374
Int full caster - Archivist

Int half-caster - I dunno, Warlord?

Spellbarian - Strength
>>
>>50453374
>Int full caster
Mystic.
>Int half caster
EK, or some other gish-like archetype
>Barbarian
Probably wisdom. Maybe constitution, depending on the type of effects.
>>
>>50453374
An Arcane Archer or a more dedicated Swordmage might work for an Int half-caster. Maybe even as the same class, but what to call it is questionable.

Not sure if there's space for another Int full-caster unless they make Illusionist its own thing again. Other than that, Psionics.

As for a Primal path for spells, I would say either Wisdom for a more druidic style thing, or Charisma for bard/sorcerer style dragonshouting
>>
>>50453391
I guess my main thoughts are that it would be better to expand on an existing system rather than invent an entirely new one. To me, it's a bit like trying to port over the Swordmage from 4e, and then giving it all new abilities like the 4 elements monk rather than just picking out appropriate Wizard spells.
>>
>>50453173
I had him to go with them to the entrance but he stayed behind to take care of his brother's body.
>>
>>50453501
If I were to go with superiority instead, how would you suggest I implement:
1. Healing
2. Scaling effects and increasingly powerful moves
>>
>>50453374
I think someone specialized in rune magic or psionic could make for a very good full int-caster.

The runes sub-types could be based either on a particular ancient language or something akin to how warlocks have a chosen patron.
>>
>>50453374
I'm quite new so I'm still learning some of the terminology.

I assume full caster is a class that gets all the way up to 9th level spell slots, like clerics, druids, wizards and sorcerers? Maybe warlocks but they're kinda weird.
>>
>>50453709
Sent it prematurely, wanted to continues.

So are half casters classes who get up to 5th? Like paladins and rangers? Or do Eldritch knights and arcane tricksters count as well?

What's a third caster?
>>
>>50453730
AT and EK are 1/3 casters. Otherwise you are correct. Warlocks are a special case - technically, they don't have the "spellcasting" feature. But they do get 9th-level spells (well, one of them).
>>
>>50453402
Archivist seems cool, from an initial googling.

Warlord actually seems like a good fit, though I think most people would argue for it being Cha based.

Muscle Wizard is pretty awesome. Thanks, senpai.

>>50453415
It doesn't look like Mystic is going to be a caster, more along the lines of a Warlock/Monk-type weirdo class with Points and a bunch of things like Invocations and Spell-like abilities to choose from.

>>50453429
I think the Arcane Archer works well for Half-Caster, though I guess i worry about it being too much like Eldritch Knight with a bow or just generally like a Ranger.

I agree on Wisdom, admittedly thats just cause of Druid.
What about a Tinker/Engineer for a Half-Caster based on Int. Something with relation to the Rock Gnome Tinker feature. Maybe it wears heavy armour. Simple weapons. Mirror some ranger features related to tracking enemies, but focus that moreso on scavenging for materials to make shit out of. Maybe reference the Forge Domain and the Artificer Tradition for some class features as well.

For a full caster i think the Archivist works well, but i almost want it to be moreso the manipulation of divine powers, rather than just collecting info, but i guess Theurgy Tradition kinda covers that. Like some kind of Occult person. Studies the teachings of those who are faithful, but uses them for their own purposes.

What about additional Martial Classes?
>>
>>50453818
>Archivist seems cool, from an initial googling

The whole purpose of it existing was "mystic theurge that doesn't make me want to commit suicide quie as much"
>>
File: gw2-the-crossing-staff-2.jpg (129KB, 439x768px) Image search: [Google]
gw2-the-crossing-staff-2.jpg
129KB, 439x768px
I have a player who is going Mintoaur [UA] Warlock [Tome / Undying light from UA]. Also, I made pic related as a weapon that requires attunement with the following abilities:

Staff of the Daystar; Counts as a magical weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage resistance. Has 3 charges that are replenished during a long rest. As long as it has at least one charge, it's damage type is fire damage when wielded as a melee weapon. Can expend charges to do any of the following:

1 charge: As an action cast *Dancing Lights*
2 charges: As a bonus action, cast *Divine Favor*
3 charges: As an action, the wielder is engulfed in a magical flame for 1 minute. Hostile creatures within 5 ft of the wielder (when entering into range, or if an enemy creature ends their turn within 5 ft) take 1d8 radiant or fire damage. Strikes made with the Staff of the Daystar deal an additional 1d4 radiant or fire damage.

He's joining a campaign in progress at 10th level. Am I in for a headache? Is there anything I should change now or does it seem like everything will be fine?
>>
>>50453818
Speaking of warlords, int, and cha... >>50452848
>>
>>50453818
>What about a Tinker/Engineer for a Half-Caster based on Int. Something with relation to the Rock Gnome Tinker feature. Maybe it wears heavy armour. Simple weapons. Mirror some ranger features related to tracking enemies, but focus that moreso on scavenging for materials to make shit out of. Maybe reference the Forge Domain and the Artificer Tradition for some class features as well.

That's basically the 3.5 Artificer class in concept.

The artificer could by the rules do some really powerful stuff given time though. It would have to be toned down from what it was capable of.
>>
>>50453896
Seems fine to me, but i've never gotten past level 4 without a TPK so i dont know what 10th level play is like. Considering you can only use the second and third features of the staff once per long rest. It should be fine.

Also considering he's Tome and not Blade-lock, i doubt he'll be on the front lines smacking poeple with this a ton. Seems balanced to me.
>>
>>50453896
There's not much a warlock can do at level 10 to mess up your campaign. That item is not the slightest bit overpowered. You'll be fine.

If you want to know what to expect, warlocks get a decent spike in power at level 11 due to the extra pact slot, 6th level mystic arcanum, and eldritch blast gaining a 3rd hit.
>>
>I've never gotten past level 4 without a TPK

nigga what

What is your DM throwing at you?
>>
>>50451024
A Warden in the 4e sense basically already exists in the 5e storm barbarian from UA. You get auras and other natural magical stuff.

If you need to get any nature-y, maybe swap rage for ranger spellcasting?
>>
>>50452211
An epic boon or charm maybe? from the DMG.
>>
>>50452211
Give him an enchantment. He gained Bahamut's favor so his weapon becomes magical or something.
>>
>>50452211
Expand his domain spells. Have Bahamut grant him a 2-3 extra spells that aren't normally on the cleric list that are thematically appropriate to Bahamut.
>>
>>50447430
Adventures for 20th-level characters are the easiest, and adventures for 1st-level characters are the hardest. Unlike most games, D&D gets less challenging as you go along.

So what if I ran a game in reverse chronological order, starting with 20th-level characters, and every session they lose a level and go further into the past? Would the logistics of that just be too hard to pull off?
>>
>>50454075
Less of the DM, moreso the players.

There are 2 new players in the group who are riding the power fantasy train hard. One of them gets really salty when he gets fucked up in combat.

>Last Campaign
>Me, Paladin2/Bard2 Dwarf
>Half Orc Barbarian (New Player)
>Wood Elf Ranger (New Player)
>Human Monk
>Deep Gnome Wizard

We're in a cavern with Lizard Folk in it.
The Ranger sees something in the dark, so he shoots a flaming arrow at it. Sees about 5 Lizardfolk. The Cavern is laid out like an hourglass. We're in one open area, and then there is a choke point, and then the lizards are on the other side of the choke point in another open area.
Ranger runs right into the choke point, thats as far as his movement goes. Gets surrounded next turn.
Wizard runs right into the choke point. He is an enchantment Wizard and wants to use Hypnotic Gaze.

The Barbarian then charges in.
No one is trying to to target the same people.

Monk and I sigh and try to save our companions.

Wizard get rekt.
Barbarian is now on the other side of the choke point
Ranger surrounded low HP
Me on heal duty, whapping lizardfolk with shield from Protection fighting style.
Monk trying to kill them.

More lizardfolk appear cause the Barbarian is chasing lizardfolk running away on the other side of the choke point.
Barbarian is down. Uses Half Orc feature, comes back up. Kills some more Lizardfolk. Goes down again.
Ranger is rekt at this point.
Monk is now surrounded.
I am out of spell slots.
Ranger makes death saving throws, tries to run away.
Monk hits 0, i try to pick him up and drag his body away.

Giant Lizardfolk Brute thing comes out and finishes us off.

Then we roll new characters.
>>
>>50454075

>>50454433
Continued

>Current Campaign
>Me. Divination Wizard, arrakocra
>Monk is now a Human Blade-lock of GOO
>Barb is now Teifling Pact-Lock of Fiend
>Wizard is now Dwarf Druid of Moon, never comes out of animal form, spent first 3 sessions as a bat flying around us
>Ranger is now a Fighter. He rolled shit stats and has missed more than half the sessions of this new campaign

Blade-lock, Myself, and Pact-Lock in dungeon.
Come to wall of magical darkness.
I cast light on a rock and throw it into the darkness
>The stone dissapears into the darkness
Warlock sends in familiar, Pseudo Dragon
>It sees nothing in the darkness.
Seems like a trap.
Blade-lock decides to man-up and just walk in.
>Falls 10 feet into a hole
We throw in a rope and pull him out.
We get shot by lazer beams.
Mass of baby beholders hiding in the darkness.
After first turn of eye blasts from the darkness we're all paralyzed.
Damage ensues.
I make my save to be unparalyzed. Shoot a Firebolt into darkness, with disadvantage, hit. So happy.
Eye lazer shoots out, paralyzed again.
Everyone around 0 HP. Blade-lock starts rolling death saving throws.
>Let's call it there for now, i'll decide what happens next session.

We aren't dead, but we're only level 3.

Not sure how we could ever handle the Beholder in magical Darkness that we can't see in or through but that it seems to beable to.
>>
Rough table for GOOlocks that triggers on reaching 0 hp, ideas welcome.

>Once every hour/once a day/when DM wants upon reaching 0 HP, roll a 1d20 on the FUCKED UP SPACE GOD effects table.

1- Hunger of Hadar is cast on your location, and remains until you either become conscious again or fail all death saves. Upon death, your entire corpse and all items carried or worn are dragged into the void between stars.
2- No effect
3- The creature that brought you to 0 hp sees a glimpse of your patron in their mind. If no sapient attacker there's no effect.
4- No effect
5- Levitate is cast on your unconscious body. You float as if in heavy liquid, slowly losing momentum if pushed.
6- No effect
7- Your body becomes incredibly stiff, as if paralyzed by venom, until consciousness is restored
8- No effect
9- No effect
10- Dissonant Whispers is cast as a 1st level spell on all creatures in 30 feet
11- No effect
12- a cacophony of whispers are broadcast into the minds of any creatures in 30 feet, use of Comprehend Languages reveals it's pointless mumbling
13- No effect
14- Your body is covered by a protective layer related to your Patron while they try to fix your broken body be it a hard shell, an energy barrier, or a wrapping of tentacles. Enemies cannot attack your body to add a Death save, however you also cannot be healed by potions or magic and must wait 1d6 hours to become conscious again. You may retain a mark or scar from the healing process such as a series of jagged sucker marks near your wound.
15- Your Patron, potentially as a sign of irritation at failure, the barrier in minds being eroded, or a misguided attempt at help causes you to fail one Death Save.
16- No effect
17- No effect
18- Circle of Death is cast on your location as a 6th level spell, not affecting you
19- No effect
20- Roll again; If you get this result 3 times in a row casts Feeblemind on all creatures in a 1 mile radius as the mind of your patron presses against the material plane
>>
>>50454433
>>50454524
Sounds like you've just got a shitty ass DM
>>
>>50454524
Shitty dm confirmed. So many things wrong here.
Beholders can't see through magical darkness. If they don't dispell it with their anti-magic cone, then they can't see you with their lasers to target you anyways.
Also reading volo's there are no hives of baby beholders. Dm conjured it up just to fuck with you.
>>
>>50454728
>only use creatures from the PHB/DMG/MM/VGtM
wat
I have yet to use the official stats for anything in my games.
>>
>>50454790
I never said you had to. I make plenty. Just that his DM specifically made monsters that were either badly balanced or intentionally dickish.
>>
>>50454524
Seems like a shitty DM situation made worse by a few not-so-good players.

The DMs first goal is to make sure you guys and having fun, and that he is also having fun. The best way for a DM to have fun is to make sure the players are also having fun. That's the big secret.
>>
>>50454844
This, famalam.
It's not a good trap to have magical darkness full of beholders that aren't affected by the magical darkness.
>>
>>50454844
I'd actually be disappointed if I somehow managed to TPK my players.
>>
What are the rarity levels of magic items?
>>
>>50454950
Same, I never understand the mentality of DMs that think it's them vs the players.

If my players die then they don't get to see the outcome of all their choices and I don't get to continue building a story around them. It's a lose for everyone.

That said I believe there should be real challenge and a possibility of death. But unless there are SEVERAL strings of bad luck on the players' side it really shouldn't ever result in a TPK. And if players become influential enough, there are any number of reasons as to why the bad guys might want to hold them captive instead of just slaughtering them.
>>
>>50454959
Common
Uncommon
Rare
Very rare
Legendary
>>
>>50455019
Hang on a sec, I recognise those levels

Those are the rarities of the original Pokemon cards....
>>
File: 1479980126917.gif (2MB, 380x214px) Image search: [Google]
1479980126917.gif
2MB, 380x214px
Are we discussing player tactics making normal battles into bloodbaths?
>Players are to fight 3 golems made respectively of gravel, broken blades, and scrolls of parchment
>The golems respectively deal bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing damage
>It's rock paper scissors, the golems are also weak to what their cover deals
>The 3 corners of the room are covered in piles of those materials and as long as they're in their "area" they regain some health each turn and visibly absorb mass beneath them, which can be stopped by dealing certain magic damage to them (thunder, lightning and fire respectively)
>They're basically reskinned ogres with an add-on each, paper can provide a single turn flying scroll Shield of Faith, rock does more damage and grapple on hit, scissors can do a save based attack around it, all are 5-6 recharge

>Rogue, low health due to earlier failed trap rolls and refusing to take a short rest, runs up and hits one, doesn't disengage or back off or use a bow, immediately goes down
>Other rogue spends first turn dragging out and stabilizing first
>Fighters corner paper and hack at it with slashing weapons...right in the corner where it regenerates the most, even when I make it clear it's absorbing mass beneath it and regenerating
>The bladesinger and monk kite the rock golem, it and paper go down with relatively little fuss
>The monk and bladesinger keep biting the scissor's save attack that it keeps recharging immediately, they just stand in melee and take it for 2 turns until they're down
>Instead of trying to push or lure the monster away from their bodies, the fighters gang up too, sometimes stopping for stabilize checks
>They all stay next to the giant rusty blender
>When all's said and done, bladesinger and monk are dead (good AC and saves for half-damage didn't help forever and neither did taking a failed death save nearly each turn from it)
>Fighter 1 fails medicine check on dying Fighter 2, Fighter 2 fails last death save and die in his arms
>>
>>50454608
what's shitty about the scenario he just described?
>>
>>50455034
Wait a minute those cards
>>
>>50454608
>>50454728
>>50454844

He usually blames us for what happens in these sessions, and we are partially to blame. But he'll also call my characters Betas. Usually due to things like; discussing who should get certain magic items, or letting NPCs do certain things.

>Old Campaign
My Dwarf was buried for 1000s of years in a landslide and entered a druidic hibernation. When he was uncovered by miners he went searching for his home, a fortress in a nearby mountain.
When i got there i refused to loot anything. I even got angry at other players when they tried to, but i would smile at them and say "My character sees something off in the corner of the room and starts reminiscing about the old days. He isn't paying attention" and i'd wink at the other players.
But the DM critisized me, calling my character a Beta for not looting his own home and the home of all his friends and family.

He has this attitude, but whenever enemies try and flee to save themselves in combat and we chase them down. He remarks about how "we should change your alignments to evil"

I even asked him "hey i'm the only person in the party without any magic items...why is that?" And he said that he thought I didnt want any loot because i kept passing it up in the first dungeon.

>Old Campaign
We go, with a Werewolf NPC and a Paladin NPC to fight a corrupted forest spirit. We give the Paladin NPC a magical 2-handed War-hammer. None of us in the group can really make good use of it as a Moon Druid i just shapeshift the entire fight, i had proficiency with being a Dwarf and all, but i'm either in the back or a bear, and out Half Orc Barbarian already had a magic weapon. After the battle he chastised us for it because we "just wanted to let the NPC do all the work". When i brought up with him that no one could make good use of it, he said "Well you don't have to use it as a hammer, you could have used it as a staff."
>>
>>50455127
>But he'll also call my characters Betas.
>He remarks about how "we should change your alignments to evil"
>And he said that he thought I didnt want any loot because i kept passing it up in the first dungeon.
>When i brought up with him that no one could make good use of it, he said "Well you don't have to use it as a hammer, you could have used it as a staff."

Your DM is a massive faggot.
You should replace him. I dealt with an antagonistic DM that didn't take criticism well so I asked if I could try DMing the next campaign.
Turns out he was a much better player than a DM and I enjoyed DMing more than being a player.

Started as just a one-off and I've been DM ever since.
>>
>>50447430
I've got a question about ability damage. How does it work on a polymorphed character, ie a Druid in an animal form? I am thinking of something like a Shadow's strength drain. Does it just effect the animal form as usual and then if it dies the Druid comes back with normal strength?
>>
>>50455403

>>50455403

>>50455403
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.