[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Druid Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 387
Thread images: 54

File: 1473917244663.jpg (291KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1473917244663.jpg
291KB, 800x800px
>Latest News
Druid UA out today! Search the thread for the link.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

How do you like your druids, /5eg/?
>>
Previous thread >>50414011
>>
>>50431999
Any kind of Land Druid, purely for a change from everyone and their sister playing Moon Druids! (Coast is my favourite flavour, personally)

Although, the unearthed arcana will be out later, maybe that'll add some diversity to them!
I'm expecting a warden (4e) style, similar to the Ancients Paladin. Maybe a swarm Druid, too.
>>
>>50431999
>Sanctimonious Trips
>Thread has proper title
>OP has question and non-shit image
Thank you based OP.

Personally I like my druids to be sagacious wild men, living out innawoods/innacave, being one with nature, gathering sacred plants to cast their spells.

That being said, I'm really hoping for a Warden and/or a Natural Disaster circle in the new UA.
>>
>>50431999
I'm excited to see what we're getting for druids in a few hours.
The druid is one of three classes to never see UA material or additional options in a full release.
Now for some wild speculation;
>druid circle based off of the blight druid
>druid circles based off of the druid sects from eberron
>>
>>50431993
Bear Pelt is a valuable commodity. Very good for keeping warm. Should account for the additional profit on top of the meat.
>>
File: 1480261384117.jpg (3MB, 1419x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1480261384117.jpg
3MB, 1419x2000px
>>50432066
I could definitely see Blighter and Gatekeeper druids in there.
>>
>>50431999
I like coastal or deep-woods druids, with their homes being noticable for the sheer amount of thought put behind it.

Coastals get neat-as-fuck coral homes and Woody Druids get superhouses up in the trees, like the shit you see on Treehouse Masters.

Non of this hut nonsense. If I play as a class that can channel nature to that degree, fuck living like some hobo who threw together a yurt innawoods.

Also, wood druids get bird alarms. Crows. EVERYWHERE.
>>
>>50431999
I want druids to be like the cool tribe shamans you see in the PS4 game "From Dust". Not necessarily in power-terms, but general appearance.

Cool and simplistic masks not too detailed, to keep with the vague identity that I see spirits eithout titles having.

It just...makes sense to me.
>>
>>50432131
Fancyass tree mansions; Yeah, that's how you maintain the balance of Nature and Civilization.
>>
How do I roleplay? I've been interested in it for some 15 years, but I found any kind of acting just never came naturally for me. I wasn't bad at coming up with character backstories, but they were usually things that happened to characters and never things they did.

Maybe this isn't the right place to ask but a question like this doesn't deserve its own thread.
>>
File: DnD_ADVL.png (18KB, 432x222px) Image search: [Google]
DnD_ADVL.png
18KB, 432x222px
Do you guys have any experience in running adventures for the Adventurer’s League? I’m looking for a short, straightforward adventure that doesn’t require much improvisation for my first time as a DM.

Also, do I really need the DM’s guide or should I be able to make it work with just the basic rules and a PDF on my phone for emergencies? And is there anything else I should get?
>>
>>50432240
AL adventures vary widely in quality, but most aren't that great.

Just run Lost Mine of Phandelver. It's a bit longer than you might want but it's a great start for players and DMs.
>>
>>50432239
No, anon, that is EXACTLY the kind of question that deserves it's own thread. It isn't specific to any game or system.
>>
File: 8483_ca25_500.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
8483_ca25_500.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>Playing with new group
>DM tells us we're just travelling on a cart and see a town under attack
>Playing neutral rogue
>"Hmm should we be involved in this?"
>Group of Dragonfurry Paladins and Lawful Good Clerics look at me dumbfounded and charge forward
>Stay behind to talk to the coach driver
>"So whats the situation, what town is this, do we know any history?"
>DM is terrible at roleplaying basically tells me to follow everyone else
>Forced into defending the town
>Make it to the keep
>Save the local Lord and he gives us a new quest to go track down the attackers
>Ask him for some treasure or at least payment for our hours of hard work saving his shit village
>"You can have some rations, doing the right thing is the only reward you need"
>Fast forward a few hours
>In a cave, tracked the enemies down, kill the boss, find a treasure chest
>Being the rogue I unlock it, DM decides it was trapped and I take 6d6 acid dmg knocking me out
>Whilst I'm out the Lawful Good party loot the chest and decide to tell my character it was empty
>mfw these edgy cunts
>They decide to give all the treasure back to the village
>Never played with them again
>>
>>50432266
>being the neutral dick rogue in a LG group
You only have your own damn self to blame for not realizing sooner that you weren't going to get along with that group.

Lesson learned, I hope.
>>
>>50432266
So, you made a character completely contrary to the entire group, then did your best to avoid actually participating in the game.

I've always wondered how That Guys managed to be That Guy, I guess it's simply because they are oblivious to their own actions.
>>
File: 1447594111065.gif (333KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
1447594111065.gif
333KB, 250x188px
>>50432303
Nah there was an actual evil necromancer and another warlock in the group.

A neutral human fits in any group.

>>50432291
I learnt to never play with LG characters. Too much virginity
>>
File: Gohn.jpg (100KB, 731x1092px) Image search: [Google]
Gohn.jpg
100KB, 731x1092px
>>50431999
Druids are very popular among new players (especially female) and they've kinda ruined it for me.

I find they're pretty difficult to integrate in a regular party, as they usually have very different kind of goals. It's usually a bit of extra work where I have to very clearly weave them into the scenario, or they end up feeling bored / not engaged.

Which is pretty fucking unfair considering they're not actually doing their part as players, since they're new.
>>
>>50432328
>Nah there was an actual evil necromancer and another warlock in the group.

You said it was LG clerics and paladins. the Evil necromancer and the warlock did all this LG shit too?

>a neutral human fits in any group

Depends on the player. In your case, obviously not.

Don't get me wrong, lawful stupid is just as bad as "My character is neutral convince me to actually play the game I came here to play :^)" or Chaotic Edgy bullshit
>>
>>50432330
>Druids are very popular among new players (especially female) and they've kinda ruined it for me.

I have to say this is my personal experience as well.

I've played with like 6 different girls in my time in 5e, out of the like 20~ different people I've played with in 5e, and iirc like four of them were druids.

All of them were small races, either dwarves or halflings or gnomes. I dunno man.

Another new player thing that I've found with dudes is Dragonborn. New players who don't know shit about RP or D&D or whatever always gravitate towards Dragonborn.
>>
File: 1397568135859.gif (632KB, 399x136px) Image search: [Google]
1397568135859.gif
632KB, 399x136px
>>50432355
>Evil necromancer and the warlock did all this LG shit too

Yep. The problem was they were all new players.

I know they all stopped playing after one more session.
>>
>>50432260
sorry for posting where it doesn't belong
>>
>>50431999
>How do you like your druids, /5eg/?
Non-powergamey.
Moon druids are pretty bad at that.

I've had players complain to me about the other moon druid player because they were basically hogging all the roles.
>>
>>50432251
I play AL so I can't really do a campaign. I also want to start with a one-off because I don't know how much I'll like it yet.
>>
Do you guys ever bring characters back or play a different one every single time? What if they have died in a previous campaign?
>>
>>50432416
Moon Druid is fine past level 3 compared to other classes. The issue is Land Druids being shit in comparison
>>
>>50432330
>>50432376
Where the shit are you people finding women who play druids? The only druid players I've ever had were a literal autist botanist who grew up playing 2e with his dad's friends, a neckbeard hippie i met in college, and Joe.

For reference, Joe is a 32 year old white man who works as an accountant, drives a toyota that's older than his son, drinks shitty coffee, and uses game night as an excuse to get away from his wife on saturdays.
>>
>>50432463
when you're not asperger it's easier to find players that aren't autists as well
>>
Can someone explain adventurer's league for me, I've started D&D a few months ago, googling adventurer's league didn't give a satisfying answer.

Explain like I'm autistic, please.
>>
>>50431999
>Play a land druid
>It's like playing any other spell caster
>Except your spells are shit
>and you get awful archetype bonuses
Wild shape is nice though, even if you are limited so much by being land
>>
>>50432506
Yeah i get this as well.

To me, you have the choice between being a shitty wizard and casting meh spells, or being a druid and shaping into stuff.

Not much of a choice at all.
That's why the UA could shake things up pretty nicely.
>>
>>50432506
Playing a Land-druid here.

Totally regret it. Misty step is cool and I like the coastal theme but fuck, I could have done that as a moon druid and transformed into an octopus. My only benefit to spellcasting is literally natural recovery which is pretty much one extra spell a day. My wildshape sucks, spending an action to change form is fucking crippling, because not only are you entering shitty 20-30hp forms at level 8+ you have to pray you survive the turn to actually use your new form. If I need to wildshape in combat I'm now used to ready-action wildshape just before my turn starts because otherwise I waste a turn shifting and often get bamfed before I can use the new form.
>>
>>50432506
>>50432522

Heck I'd be happy if the UA was just "Land druids but each terrain type gets its own features like a cleric domain would" Like arctic druids maybe getting resistance to cold, or coastal druids getting some swimming/water breathing benefits
>>
>>50432501
Some people don't have regular groups, whether they're new to the game or just too shit to have one. So they go to their local game store and take part in Adventurers League, 5e's official organized play setup. There are stricter rules on character creation and progression that must be followed than a home game, and you're not guaranteed to play with the same characters or people two weeks in a row. There are also set adventures that are run, with about 10 or so for each "season" centered around each new adventure module.
>>
>>50431999
I like to use druids as clerics of feral religions.
>>
File: Gwenn.png (4MB, 1777x2513px) Image search: [Google]
Gwenn.png
4MB, 1777x2513px
>>50432552
Would be nice to have a reason to pick up my swamp druid again. Although circle of the swarm could also work for that
>>
>>50432438
In different games with different players? Sure. I even keep the characters more based on personalities than specific roles so if I go into a new group and, say, Paladin's already taken, my preferred character could fill the Fighter or even Ranger role with ease.
But if the DM is starting a new campaign at the end of a previous one, even if the character lived through it, I'd be trying something else for the sake of variety.
>>
File: 1475176749766.jpg (233KB, 571x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475176749766.jpg
233KB, 571x800px
>>50432646
> Fungi growing out of her flesh
It's time to PURGE.
>>
>>50432501
>Explain like I'm autistic
What does this even mean?
>>
To the anon who has that unbalanced party, rebalance them all to the same level or don't play.
That fucker is being a That Guy asshole.
>>
>>50432730
Explain it with clear, concise terms, without using exaggeration, metaphor, or idioms.
>>
>>50432730
Normie, reeeeeeeeee.
>>
Is Sword Coast Legends at all any good?
>>
>group is entirely PHB only
>new guy joins, gm lets him use busted ass homebrew garbage

Can we exterminate all homebrew please

I feel like bad homebrew is worse in 5e. Like so few homebrewers for 5e have seemed to have read the phb. Shit like d10 fullcasters are everywhere
>>
>>50432946
I played it for fifteen minutes and crashed, uninstalled

Its not even d&d man. Character creation/class stuff is fucking retarded, its like skyrim tier "bick a berk :DDDD"
>>
>>50433003
Heh, think it's meant to appeal to casuals and those just wanting to play a quick game. I can't argue with that though, as long as the game plays good.
>>
>>50432982
Some homebrew is undeniably good, but a good heap is complete and utter horseshit, with no sense of design quality or balance. It's literally diarrhea on the page.
This is why Wizards should put out new content.
>>
Just curious, what do people think about the content in Volo's Guide to Monsters? Such as the new races, the new lore, and the new monsters in it.
>>
>>50433083
I like the new player races and the new monster stats, but I hate the lore. A lot of it relies on "because gods" and a lot of it I find can just curb creativity from the DM and players.

I mean the sheer amount of new racial stat blocks are so tied down to "because gods" it's almost like a parody.
Could the Orc Blade Of Whatchamacallim or the Orc Shadow Of Whatshisface not just be an Orc Swordmaster and Orc Assassin?
>>
>>50433083
Bugbear and yaun ti are cancer, meme race for meme builds and op bullshit respectively

Triton tabaxi aasimar goliath and firbolg are solid additions to the race roster. Lizardman kinda I guess, feel a bit unneeded besides for fetishists I guess.

Monsterous PCs are dumb and probably will be disallowed at most tables. This will not stop fetishists however. Nothing will stop the fetishists
>>
>>50433168
Firbolgs got the worst art, and their revamp isn't terribly good.
I mean how do you go from what's essentially the giants from Frank Frazetta's The Frost Giants painting to the unholy lovechild of Joe Fixit and Shaggy Rogers, anyway?
>>
>>50433187
yea some of the art is really fucking bad, like the hobgoblin female monk thing
>>
>>50433217
That thing was fucking horrifying, not in an intimidating way but in a completely fucking fugly way.
>>
>>50433166
I am basically right with you on that, I tend to use my own lore for games anyway. Most other DMs probably do the same thing. The naming of the new Orc goons was pretty bad, Pathfinder did better with things like Thug, Warchief, and War Drummer.
>>50433168
I actually really like the lizardfolk race, has a kind of savage monster hunter feel to it. Monsterous PCs would probably be all or none in most cases, I think.
>>
Can you set up character sheets to be imported to roll20?
>>
Seeing how the 'canon' changes made to FR in 4e were reverted with 5e, would WotC ever try something like that again?

Like what would happen if Maglubiyet and his goblinoid host in Archeon did conquer Gruumsh and the other orcish gods. How would that effect FR? Or even any of the other settings that use those gods, seeing as monster gods seem to cross the multiverse.
>>
>>50433217
>>50433246
You know it's a mask right?
>>
>>50433308
Maglubyet, while the superior god, is only intermediate compared to Gruumsh's greater god status. He wouldn't be able go unless he assembles allies.

Despite being written of on equal footing in novels, Corellon as statted in 3e will completely rekt Gruumsh.
>>
>>50433331
for the love of god please enlighten me because as it is i dont know how that abomination got past qc
>>
>>50433331
The art is still terrible.
>>
File: Capture.png (878KB, 692x594px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
878KB, 692x594px
>>50433343
>>50433349
You mean this thing?
>>
>>50433376
Devils are more aesthetic than that.
>>
>>50432946
It's a meh-tier branded Diablo clone. The best thing about it is the "dm's tools" level editor.
>>
>>50433003
>>50433399
Is it worth 10 bucks on?
>>
>>50433411
NWN Diamond on GOG for 3.69, why even.
>>
File: 20161105_192134_thumb.png (171KB, 554x309px) Image search: [Google]
20161105_192134_thumb.png
171KB, 554x309px
>>50433384
Yeah, they should have gone for some weaboo Oni mask or something instead of a power rangers mook.
>>
>>50433384
Have you seen an Ice Devil? It's a fucking bug bro.
>>
>>50433420
Yeah, if you were going with an environment where devils basically look like the red horned hooved tailed devils, it'd do the trick, but D&D clearly doesn't subscribe to that idea.
Perhaps saying they're "fiendish" masks would work better, but it's still pretty uncreative.
>>
File: 1478129901690.jpg (177KB, 700x870px) Image search: [Google]
1478129901690.jpg
177KB, 700x870px
>>50431999
Alright guys, my players are going to be going through a swamp to try to hunt down a hag coven. How do I wear them down physically, spiritually and emotionally, and really make them feel the awfulness of the swamp, while still making sure that they feel like they're having fun?
Also, I want the hag coven to actually be a challenge, not just a bunch of old ladies that they take down without any effort. Any advice there?
>>
File: maybe.png (4KB, 463x130px) Image search: [Google]
maybe.png
4KB, 463x130px
>>50430446
>>
>>50433415
Nah, NWN isn't for me, 'sides I already have the Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale II and Planescape Torment.
>>
>>50433460
One important aspect? Atmosphere. Emphasize how nasty and foul the swamp is. Make it all difficult terrain even if you have a ranger with swamp as a favored terrain. Don't even say it's because it's "magic". Talk about how they feel incessantly watched, even if they see nothing. Make them feel so exhausted they need to rest for a bit as they slowly plod along.
As for the hags being a challenge. That means minions. Undeads are always a good go-to bit. Depending on the party's level you can use things like zombies, ghouls, wights, shadows, wraiths and so forth.
>>
File: -Erinyes.jpg (161KB, 381x675px) Image search: [Google]
-Erinyes.jpg
161KB, 381x675px
>>50433416
>>50433420
>>50433446
Wish they could've gotten DiTerlizzi to do the artwork.
>>
What might be found along a haunted coast and haunted lighthouse?
>>
>>50433578
Skeletons running from ghosts.
>>
>>50433578
Old Man Chalmers in a scuba suit made up to look like a monster.
>>
>>50433592
>the skeletons are from the people who died and became ghosts
>>
>>50433460
Use the Banderhobb from Volo's.
>>
>>50433578
Ghosts of vengeful fish
>>
>>50433606
This garnered and audible exhale of air from my nose, well done anon.
>>
>>50433168
Nobody in my group asked about playing a Volo race yet.
But they picked up a hapless Kobold as an NPC mascot and they spent a good amount of time asking me to power him up to PC status because they shouldn't have to watch out that the seven hit point Kobold doesn't die under their watch.
>>
hey /tg/ i need your help. I just let my party have a nightmare foal. I was inspired by the Baby Bestiary and it seems like a cool idea to use the nightmare for some interesting side quests. Now... I want to make him playable. Like a party member they can control. Can you help me with some stats ? i mean... its still small but i want the nightmare to be capable of hitting back. They all are level 3 in COS.
>>
Ua when?
>>
>>50433538
Well then there's even less point in buying SCL for you.

>>50433460
Like any force of nature, swamp is a thing. It's old, bitter and malicious. It ruins the sense of direction, getting to anything resembling a landmark means difficult terrain: fallen treetrunks, thorns everywhere, black thick mud that looks like it's boiling and somewhere in that noise the actual words are uttered.

Put awful twist on familiar things. Goblins are actual children transformed by the swamp. Once they got lost, it sucked them in and spew them out. There are no bullywigs but frogmen, degenerate tribes of men resembling toads, luring passengers in by imitating various animals and using bound will-o'-wisps as lights.

Hags won't wait for you like a final boss. They split up, constantly watching you through the eyes of spider webs all around the swamp, they send their minions to harass you.

They should also have a specific agenda they're clearly trying to advance. Will that agenda be achieved if at least one of the hags lives? Do they have a significant weakness? It's better if they do, once players get some leverage they can bargain. Bargaining with heroes is absolutely haggish thing.
>>
I'm sick as fuck and gotta keep myself in from uni classes today, so that means writing for my group's next session.

You guys use any sort of homebrew system to make traveling more interesting or dynamic?
>>
>>50433749
5-6 hours probably.
>>
>>50433770
Skill challenges from 4e disguised as narrative to keep the players from realizing they are in a skill challenge.
>>
>>50433384
"aesthetic" is not a fucking adjective*. Reeeeeeee

(*at least not like that)
>>
>>50433592
>>50433597
>>50433606
>>50433625
Memetastic.

>>50433614
This isn't bad.

What can be used for deep ones?
I was thinking of including a scattering of massive, upright eggs the party finds, some have burst open like a flower and some are still intact. There's slithering tracks surrounding the eggs.

The stairs within the lighthouse descend further than should be possible into the deep bowels of the earth. The walls underneath seem fleshy and almost seem to heave.

A small fishing hamlet existed on the small island as the lighthouse, but is now in ramshackle ruins.
Great jutting bones are buried in the earth, their bones have been bleached white but the bones are too large for even the largest whale.
>>
>>50433791
Stop being autistic.
>>
>>50433785
Hmm that could work. I'm sort of sick of just doing random encounters every so many steps along the way.
>>
File: scion.png (1MB, 676x912px) Image search: [Google]
scion.png
1MB, 676x912px
>>50433801
One of these guys maybe? Transformed by an Aboleth or Kraken and sent to spy on the party/protect the spooky lighthouse.
>>
>>50433076
>This is why Wizards should put out new content.
That's not related. We had terrible homebrew in every edition regardless.

People are even making homebrews of things that already exist.
Sometimes it's just homebrew for the sake of it - which i can get: it's prerty fun.
>>
>>50433810
In this, a D&D thread on an anime board?
>>
Which class makes the best Necromancer?
Wizard, Cleric or Paladin? (i'm allowed to take Death Domain or Oathbreaker if I want)
>>
>>50433882
Wizard seems the most appropriate, desu.
>>
>>50433882
Depends on what you want to do. Cleric of death summons a lot more shit i'm told while wizard is a whole lot of damaging/debilitating spells.
>>
>>50433841
Yeah. Skill challenges are great if done right. Basically have every trip come with some narrative obstacles or hazards, like rocks block the only pass, or the rogue is bit by an unknown insect and is developing alarming symptoms.

If they reach a certain number of failures before a certain number of successes, random encounter.
>>
>tfw you realize displacer beasts cant bite
>tfw no face
>>
>>50434072
"don't in a fight" not "can't"
>>
are Knowledge Clerics bad? I never see anyone talking about them. The Channel Divinity is kinda cool and i can see how that would be useful. But other than that nothing they have stands out as being amazing.

Thinking about taking 2 levels in Knowledge Cleric after my Divination Wizard hits level 4.
>>
>>50433846
Damn, that's really nice. Thanks, brah.
>>
All right you sluts, listen up.
I've been playing this game since 1e and creating Homebrew since 2e. I'm currently working on a 5e Warlord because it's about fucking time someone did. But I can't do it alone, because I want it to actually be used by someone and I'm not an authority on all players' preferences.
First question: charisma or intelligence? There's no precedent for a 5e class that uses 3 primary attributes, and the warlord will obviously need str/dex to hit things.
>>
>>50431999
Dear 5eTG
Can anyone tell me what the difference between now and beta Fighters is? Found some vague info about "options", something related to Advantage mechanic and general "hurr durr beta was better" shittery. Anyone?
>>
>>50434158
Fuck off.
>>
>>50434134
>is proficiency in any skill or tool at will bad?

Gee I wonder anon.

Seriously though, past level 1 they are pretty meh.
>>
File: 1480292964538.jpg (61KB, 736x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1480292964538.jpg
61KB, 736x1040px
>>50433801
Pic related; cannibal shipwreckers.
>>
>>50431999
I like druids edgy and with a hunt-or-be-hunted worldview. Brutality is simply a part of nature to them and they don't hesitate to use it to restore balance, weaken civilization, or crush their foes.
>>
>>50431999
Leader and strongest of the pack, huntsmaster style. Praise Malar.
>>
>>50434158
Why not both. Tactics to one type and inspiration shit to another.
>>
>>50434158
Only charisma is the answer.
And make the warlord like a fighting bard.
>>
>>50434222
That would be ideal, but it would also make it a very MAD class.
One option is to have an inspiration archetype and a tactical archetype, and have that determine which ability is used, but I don't like the idea of tying a primary attribute to an archetype, and also I think all warlords should be able to mix and match inspiration and tactics.
Unless others disagree, of course.
>>
So Conjure Animals is the best low level Druid spell hands down right? I found that 8 flying snakes could divebomb and wreck just about anything below 5 CR.
>>
File: 1480212061538.jpg (283KB, 955x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1480212061538.jpg
283KB, 955x1300px
>>50433801
Have them fight this.
>>
>>50434158
Warlords are already in the game. If you cant see them mb u should go back to
4e
>>
>>50434262
I did mean splitting it into archetypes. The precedent for different attribute preferences across archetypes is already there, swashbuckler rogues prefer Charisma, arcane tricksters Intelligence.
>>
>>50434277
Yes but it is a shitty thing to do to your DM and party to add 8 pieces onto the board. 2 Dire Wolves typically gets he job done in most situations.
>>
>>50434279
Is that an eldrazi? I'm not MtG person.
>>
>>50434158
Stop acting like a complete fucktard.
>>
>>50434262
Be sure to look around the Dungeon Masters Guild, I bet there are a bunch of warlord homebrews thrown about.
>>
>>50434312
That sounds like the best compromise. Charisma for the inspiring leader type, intelligence for the steely tactician. Maybe even wisdom for the Sun-Tzu type?
>>
>>50434250
>fighting bard
Of course! The original warlord always seemed like a martial bard/skald type, and it should stay that way.

>>50434312
That's fair. But would it make sense to have stat-based abilities for which the stat depends on the archetype? (e.g. "the ally heals [number]+[ability modifier]", where the modifier is either cha or int based on archetype)

>>50434295
Purple Dragon Knight archetype is garbage. Battlemaster has no focus on cooperation. Bards are not martial. No class offers martial healing. Please enlighten me on what already exists.

>>50434334
I have a bit/will more/am doing so right now. If I find something good I'll abandon this.
I actually won't because I like designing things but I won't bother /5eg/ with it.
>>
>>50434334
He's not really interested in Warlords, just in homebrewing to boost his ego.
>>
>>50431999
I like my Druid as a perfect ideal of balance between Civilization and Nature. Ie. promoter of Pokemon World where nature meet technology.
>>
>>50434351
>Battlemaster has no focus on cooperation
Citation needed
>>
>>50434360
Homebrewing is fun, no need to be an asshole about it. I just think it pays to see other people's ideas first.
>>
File: 1366649825694.jpg (56KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1366649825694.jpg
56KB, 300x300px
>My usual group's trope is that we always make dysfunctional as fuck parties
>Not necessarily bad parties. Just RP heavy with lots of disagreeing and arguing and we all love it.
>In a party full of arguing spellcasters, my character (Rogue) and the party's second Rogue find common ground
>Party is arguing about an artifact that we need to disable a magical barrier. Our characters spotted it earlier but didn't mention it to stop the casters fighting over who would get it
>Need to communicate with my rogue friend but we only share common as a language
>And then I fucking remember. Fucking Thieves' Cant.
>Turn to the rogue's player and break out into fucking gibberish. All English but just utter nonsense while making obscene gestures.
>text him the translation under the table
>Tell the DM and he's so impressed by our antics that he lets it fly
>casters are furious when we run off to retrieve the artifact and disable the barrier while they all argue over how to search for it
>mfw
>>
So my party comp is

Moon druid, war/tempest cleric(undecided), me barbar, and we have a ranger and bard.

I am tempted to go wolf because this will give massive advantage to the party. ALthough i did want to go reckless attack great weapon master barbar down the line.
>>
>>50434360
Why not both?

>>50434369
You're actually right, there are a few maneuvers that are very warlord-like. But it's still not enough for people who want martial healing and buffs.
>>
>>50434371
Don't be the first asshole though.
>>
>>50434324
I don't think it's too difficult to keep track of. The spell has them act on the same turn (thank God) and I just put them at the end of initiative order.

I was just blown away when my player was like "ok, all the attacks hit the orc. He takes 8+24d4 damage"
>>
File: 1480330880705.jpg (157KB, 850x1068px) Image search: [Google]
1480330880705.jpg
157KB, 850x1068px
>>50434393
Stat pic related first.
>>
>>50434351
Manoeuvre DC is 8 + prof + str/dex. Once again, the precedent is already set.
>>
What happens if you shift the DC back to 10 instead of leaving it at 8?
>>
>>50434393
>Be a valor bard
>With force of will and leadership, heal allies and inspire them to great deeds in combat
>Also full caster and jack of all trades so you can fill in any utility cracks in the party
>Medium armor and martial weapon proficiency allow respectable fighting, and a dip in fighter or paladin fills it out completely

>Be a Battlemaster
>Take maneuvers like Rally to give THP to allies (can "overheal" but can't revive, oh well)
>Take the one that lets you command an ally to attack (amazing with rogue allies)
>Take others to maneuver enemies around and force them into bad spots or CC them

I fail to see what else you could possibly want.
"Martial healing"? The fuck is that? Surgery?
>>
File: 1480224398535.jpg (118KB, 736x1103px) Image search: [Google]
1480224398535.jpg
118KB, 736x1103px
Tabaxi should look like pic related.
>>
>>50434172
Fighters had martial dice iirc, regardless of specialization. These martial dice could be used to enhance offensive or defensive actions, and recharged every turn. It was great, but a lot of 3.5e people complained because it was different.
>>
>>50434334
There's an already existing Warlord in DM's trove. To summarize:

The good:
>Warlord maneuvers as bonus actions/reactions (meshes well with 4e-style "hitting and also granting effects")
>Tactical points (basically superiority) are probably a good resource to use

The dumb:
>2d4 hit dice
>Dex save proficiency
>Expertise (literally why)
>Granting allies + 1d12 on damage for 10 minutes
>No martial healing/saving throw aid
>Maneuvers highly specific but few in number

>>50434415
The difference is that for battlemaster this depends on which is higher, not which archetype he chose.

>>50434444
>Be a bard
>Full caster and jack of all trades
>Anything like a warlord
And also
>Not understanding hit points are an abstraction that includes focus, positioning, and the will to fight
>>
>>50434459
Eat shit, weeb.
>>
>>50434393
This is 5e. There are design concepts and balance ideals.
Make more maneuvers, don't make yet another class.
>>
>>50433745
1d10+1 health
14 Str
12 Dex
14 Con
9 Int
10 Wis
13 Cha

Give it the fire resistance to someone within 5 feet of it, make the bright and dim light 5 and 5.

Hooves is a 1+Str if you want it be unable to fight, and don't give it the ethereal plane ability.

If you want him like to fight, give him 3d10+3 instead for health, and make his hooves d6s
>>
>>50434444
Battlemaster with the right focus is actually a pretty good approximation. But I see players (especially those who liked 4e, and I'm not about to hate on them just because the play a different edition) want something more.

>>50434522
Normally I would agree with you, and I still might decide to scrap the idea. But I think there are aspects of the warlord concept that don't fit well with any existing class.
>>
>>50434522
If players were satisfied with the battlemaster as a warlord, they wouldn't have bothered to release the Purple Dragon Knight and call it a warlord.
>>
File: pew_internally.png (36KB, 155x154px) Image search: [Google]
pew_internally.png
36KB, 155x154px
Bread anon here, just got railroaded I think
Sent courier for the kitsune, decided on making peace after I hear her reasons for killing my parents next session
Our tourney is down to seeded rounds and only 3 party members made it to round 3 of 7
It's me, level 10 champion with 150 hp vs our level 8 sorc with 60 hp
Fight starts, I get higher initiative I great weapon crit, then get 2 attacks off that (great weapon fighting and champions/extra attack)
I action surge to kill him because he was at single digit hp. Mind you I have 5 lucky charges because I took lucky and ended up with an item that gave me 2 charges
I managed to get that 1st crit because I lucked what would of been a miss
Sorc complains to the dm that that's not fair, that I only won because I had lucky ( he didn't take lucky and when dm Gave him the option to swap out for it, he
refused)
For some fucking reason the dm humors him, after he complains long enough
I have to re fight him on the spot, and the same outcome happens
Again he complains to the dm, and we have a 3rd fucking rematch scheduled for the end of the day ( mind you this is the seeded rounds of a prestigious tourney that only occurs once every four years and my patron god is dol dorn, so he loves this stuff and the tourney means everything to my character)
We have our final match at the end if the day, I'm fed up with this shit so I buy a goddamn antimagic sheath for my great sword and a ring that gives me mage slayer
I get to the arena etc
Fight begins
He has an ac of 30 for some fucking reason, dm gives him tons of shit like this just for this fight
I manage to dispel his illusions he casted a few rounds in, my vampiric criticals are padding Me from his time stop / meteor swarm spells against me ( all shit he got from these crazy magic items) I get a few crits on him thanks to lucky and fucking slaughter him
He's flat out crying right now
He explodes into magic and I'm unconscious and yes raised to 1hp, I never got to make a check.
Fuck
>>
>>50434510
You mean you're offering yourself?
>>
Anyone here play Beast Conclave ranger?

Wolf companion has 15 ac right? And that's 16 at level 5 (or 17 if I improve its DEX).
>>
File: 1480290156399.jpg (32KB, 438x362px) Image search: [Google]
1480290156399.jpg
32KB, 438x362px
>>50434487
>I'm such a good warrior that I can inspire my allies back from bleeding out unconscious to fighting stance without any assistance other than shouting
>What? Of course it isn't magic, it's martial.
>Some pansy bard is healing people with their magic words? What a loser. Bet he doesn't even lift. Only *medium* armor and martial weapons? Good luck with that feat or out of class level, nerdshit. He has to use thunder magic to move people around instead of muscle!
>Look at that loser fighter, all he can do is provide a layer of protective stamina/focus instead of restoring that which has been smacked out of you by getting whiffed by an ogre's club, and reposition enemies with his attacks, or allow his allies to attack
>>
>>50434603
Okay, so you don't like the concept of martial healing. Good for you. There are a shitton of people who do, and want a martial alternative to the bard/cleric. Nobody's forcing you to like or even care about it.
>>
>>50434436
Then abilities feats and such that improve your save modifier are even that much more important.
>>
>>50431999
Who would be a goddess of romantic love in the FR setting?
Other than Sune I mean, since she's written as a goddess of hedonism as much as a goddess of love.
>>
File: 01-luchador.jpg (44KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
01-luchador.jpg
44KB, 250x251px
Barbarian with Tavern Brawler, Battlemaster with Tavern Brawler, or STR Monk?

Or maybe Bard with Athletics expertise?
>>
File: latest[2].jpg (45KB, 458x314px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
45KB, 458x314px
>>50434709
Sheela?
>>
File: 1480282494447.jpg (333KB, 700x1577px) Image search: [Google]
1480282494447.jpg
333KB, 700x1577px
>>50433846
>Before appears a ravishingly beautiful woman.
>>
>>50434709
Hanali Celanil is generally touted as such.
It was completely retarded how 4e made her to be an aspect of Sune.

Also, when you were thinking of hedonism you were also thinking of Sharess.
>>
>>50434436
Saving throws are based on the number 8 because it's likely the person saving won't be using their highest ability modifier, while the attacking spellcaster nearly always will be. It's a conscious balance choice.

>>50434335
>wisdom for the Sun-Tzu type
That's actually an interesting idea. I probably won't write that archetype myself, but leaving open the option to have a wisdom-based warlord could be a good thing.
>>
>>50434778
>It was completely retarded how 4e made her to be an aspect of Sune.
It was completely retarded how 4e dealt with 99% of the lore.
They broke fucking Angarradh (I fucking love divine trios, my actual favourite cult to cleric as is the Mystra/Chauntea/Mielikki triad of Rashemen), my fave elven goddess, goddamn them.
>>
File: 127463746385.jpg (42KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
127463746385.jpg
42KB, 512x512px
>playing sorcerer who is descended from a djinni
>get wish spell
>wish for the lamp of the djinni I am descended from
>DM says a lamp radiating ancient magic lands at my feet
>Whole tables face when waiting to see if I have the balls to summon what's inside

we ended the session there
>>
Business idea: remove all manimals from the game; tabaxi, lizardfolk, etc.
>>
File: remove.jpg (126KB, 1041x1066px) Image search: [Google]
remove.jpg
126KB, 1041x1066px
>>50434866
Character idea: remove all manimals from the game; tabaxi, lizardfolk, etc.
>>
File: Explanatory.png (1MB, 655x6482px) Image search: [Google]
Explanatory.png
1MB, 655x6482px
>>50433770
>>
>>50433547
>>50433754
I'm thinking three hags in a coven. One is the necromancer expert, who controls the undead hordes, one is >>50433423, I need something for the third one to focus on. Maybe it's the offensive spellcaster?

>>50433610
I don't have Volo's guide yet so I wouldn't have thought of that, Good call.
>>
>>50432619
Amen mah niggie. Druids cover feral animist religions and act like it.
>>
>>50434750
Arena Royale Pugilist
>>
File: hungry doggo.gif (43KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
hungry doggo.gif
43KB, 160x160px
>>
>>50434974
Perhaps an illusion specialist?
>>
>>50432376
I'm running a game with all female first-time players. The party has gotten absolutely massive at this point (we average on 8, sometimes as much as 10, the biggest session was 12, never doing that again...) and we do have a couple of people with the same class or race, but for the most part they're a surprisingly diverse group of characters. Almost every race and class is represented (including a non-PHB class).

When we started, before they even looked at the PHB, I sat down with each of them and talked about what kind of character they wanted to play and what they were looking for out of the game. Some had crystal clear ideas as to what they wanted to do, others weren't as sure but did also didn't want to step on anyone's toes. I had them build characters first, classes later.

They're a creative bunch so it's a really colorful party, and despite the overwhelming size they're actually my favorite players.
>>
>>50434158
Do what 4e did and allow different subclasses to use different mental stats to different degrees. A tactician will be different from someone charismatic
>>
File: 56859629_p0.jpg (2MB, 1748x2480px) Image search: [Google]
56859629_p0.jpg
2MB, 1748x2480px
>>50434974
The final hag? One of the Primordial Flame. Not your pussy campfire fire, no, I'm talking about the ancient flame. The shit that once lands on you never gets put out, it sticks to your soul nigga.

Necromancer? A diviner? They're the weaker, younger sisters. This one is old, OLD. She was around when the world was still dark, and though she has waned in power from her age, she still knows a few tricks to bring a little bit of the ancient world back and show the true horror that light exposes. Only in the dark can you avoid staring at what lurks beneath the seams.
>>
>>50435162
That actually sounds super fun
>>
>>50435174
The problem with using 4e's exact approach is that in 4e it was common to have two secondary stats. Having to choose between focusing on one of them and splitting time between them was a basic game concept.

In 5e, this concept is absent. Virtually every character has two (or fewer) primary attributes. This means a warlord must be able to choose both inspirational and tactical moves/abilities while still focusing on one stat.

So far, it's been suggested that all moves be based on one stat, which would be decided by your archetype (e.g. a tactician archetype would use int for everything, an inspiration archetype would use cha for everything). I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.

Do you have any suggestions?
>>
>>50434444
I'd want a Warlord to exchange some of the features that make a Fighter a great direct combatant, like action surge and 4 attacks, and get more superiority dice so he can Rally and help his team more often.

Just tone it down to 2 attacks, no fighting style, and load it up with a bunch of d6 superiority die and features from Purple Dragon Knight and Mastermind Rogue.
>>
>>50435209
Taking cues from mastermind rogue hadn't occurred to me, but I'll see what I can do with it.

How would you feel about a system that's similar to superiority dice but that allows to expend multiple dice at once? I'm thinking something similar to the Mystic, that can spend multiple points at once up to a limit dictated by level. That way the warlord can, for example, heal more at higher levels, or grant advantage to more people at once.
>>
>>50435207
It doesn't necessarily mean that. Fighters and Rogues already have aspects of this. Some Rogues want Charisma, and others want Int. It was the same way in 4e. You were still going to only have one main secondary stat, but nothing truly prevented you from using both.

Say you have a unified maneuver list. Some maneuvers like Rally use Cha, some use Int, and some let you pick. Then you also have two subclasses, one more tactical, one more inspiring.

A warlord can boost strength and Int, give himself 12 Cha, pick the tactical subclass, and still pick up Rally. Nothing wrong with that. It won't be as good as an Inspiring Warlord's Rally, and Inspiring might have another feature that boosts the temp hit points they give, but there's nothing wrong with having the subclasses favor certain stats while still allowing some mixing and matching.
>>
>>50435179
Sounds cool. What can she do?
>>
What's a good high level one-shot?

Shall I rip something off from adventure's league
>>
>>50435272
Being able to spend multiple dice at once seems a bit key, as with less attacks and more dice they might need to spend more time for the same effects.

I'm not sure on the exact numbers, though I would personally prefer a Warlord use some of the existing Maneuvers
>>
>>50435296
Beside burning people and cursing them? Probably summon aberrations and demons, twisting the world from the parties perspective(example, make them fight on the ceiling), revive her sisters if they're dead and generally whatever the hell you want.
>>
What do you guys think about setting some kind of spell progression for casters as a general guideline?
Like, if the guy wants to learn scorching ray he's gotta have fire bolt, and if he wants to learn fireball he needs either scorching ray or aganazzar's scorcher?
Since this edition is more distant from Vancian magic, it seems strange that you can learn meteor swarm without the knowledge to cast even a simple fire bolt.
>>
>>50435384
So like prerequisites so you need a similar spell of a lower level to learn a higher level one?

That might work out. Main thing it cuts out on is versatility.

I personally try to be as thematic as possible when making a caster anyway.
>>
File: 1474854879670.png (109KB, 1056x1056px) Image search: [Google]
1474854879670.png
109KB, 1056x1056px
>>50435384
It reduces the strength of casters by reducing their versatility. If that's a problem at your table, go for it.
If your martials are tired of the batman-belt swiss army knife wizard solving everything, go for it, it will make sure they can only solve some things reliably.
If your martials are fine with it and depend on those mages, it's just gonna turn into "We need help! Why does the mage cast nothing but piddly illusions in combat?!" or "Why does this warlock do nothing but set everything on fire?"
>>
>>50430723
>>50430446
This is pretty late but..
a 5 foot cube is 125 cubic feet = 3.53 cubic meter = 932 gallon.

So yeah. That's ~932 damage to fire elemental.
>>
>>50430497
You aren't clever enough with your cantrip. Why are you using "change flow" instead of "animate"?

One has speed restriction, one doesn't.

Better yet, you can just make a huge ice ball (only the other a thin outer layer is frozen, so when it break, you can just use shape water to make a new ball) and roll it.
>>
Hey /tg/ I've been working on a pretty generic fighter archetype and would love some other eyes to look at it.
>>
>>50434551
Sorry for wall of text, just was venting stress
>Tldr; I fight a party member beat him twice, and he complains enough until he wins
>>
>>50435706
1. Mortal Strike and Cripple should specify a duration
2. AC reduction should not be this easy to stack
3. Strength modifier should still only be added once to attack; this should be specified

Interesting concept.

>>50434551
>>50435718
Have you considered asking the sorcerer out on a date?
>>
>>50435771
Sorry my pc likes girls, not scrawny guys with 6 str and 8 con
>>
Is ac reduction functionally the same as a bonus to the roll even in cases of advantage and disadvantage?
>>
>>50435706
Replacing four attacks with one creates problems with advantage. What would make you likely to hit one of your attacks now makes you unleash your whole load at once.
The rest seems fine
Also, haste + action surge on the level 15 feature makes boss fights much too easy
>>
>>50435806
if [d20] + X >= AC + Y, attack hits.
Until you consider rolling 20s or 1s, increasing X and decreasing Y should be the same.
>>
>>50435803
I know, but last time you had a problem I suggested you solve that with a date, so I figured I might as well suggest it this time.

>>50435806
Yes, except it applies to attacks from multiple attackers instead of to attacks against multiple targets.

>>50435810
I'd argue boss fights should be the specialty of this class. But advantage on a single attack would, indeed, be very powerful with this.
>>
>>50435803
>my pc likes girls, not girls (male)

Huh?
>>
>>50434849
>Rub lamp, Djinni comes out.
>"You are allowed one Wish, my master."
>"I wish for...a hug from you, father."
>>
>>50435810
>>50435855
I like the idea of sacrificing multiple attacks for only one. It has some advantages (one-off bonuses like, well, advantage) and some disadvantages (no spreading to smaller enemies, less damage if all hit due to mods/GWM bonus) but they should balance out eventually, just got to tune it.
Perhaps the AC shred feature should specify it can't damage magical armor, or natural armor of creatures with legendary resistance? It makes sense that you can shear the plate from a man or hide from a beast, but not reduce a Taurrasque to a training dummy.
>>
>>50435706

>Broad Thoughts
This looks as though you took the Champion archetype and smushed it into the Battlemaster archetype, leaving something which is neither particularly good mechanically or particularly interesting from a flavor perspective. Insofar it can be called a theme "guy with a big weapon wot hits good" is already the prerogative of the Champion.

1. You just cribbed Improved Crit from Champion, at the same level as Champion. Good job.

2. The wording of Deadly Strike is ass and more or less turns it into a dead level. While I understand the logic behind taking out level 3 features to modify a level 5 feature what you've done here is bad. It breaks established 5e design philosophy (the notable, iconic feature you gain at level 3 helps define your archetype) in order to do something... bad and snooze-worthy. Instead of attacking twice, you double damage. It is strictly worse to Extra Attack.

3. Overpower is simply a new set of Battlemaster maneuvers, at a later level. "Crushing Blow" is basically Trip Attack, "Daze" is basically Goading/Menacing Attack but not as good. "Mortal Strike" is terrible as is "Cripple". Underwhelming 7th level feature overall.

4. The wording of this ability is unclear on several points. It does not elaborate on how one uses Intimidation normally, and so seems to merely introduce a second vector of failure. Without this feature, what would that Intimidation check do? Does this feature require an action (language does not imply as much, mentioning 'the sight of you')? This is all that you get at level 10? Oof.

5. Absolute garbage. Creatures with natural armor or AC bonuses provided by magic are totally off the hook here, and one must infer how much of a creature's AC is granted by armor. Also, let's be clear, this archetype has no Extra Attack so you are at most AT LEVEL 15 shaving off a point of AC per round.

The longer I read and re-read this, the worse it seemed. This is really fucking bad.
>>
>>50434750
>Battlemaster with Tavern Brawler
I have done this.
It's fun.
Just don't attempt it in SKT.
>>
>>50435917
I sort of agree with you on the "single big attack" thing, especially due to GWM's prevalence in "power builds" (to the extent that those exist in 5e).

I don't like the armor shred, though. I think you should replace it with something else. Think about it - executioners typically don't need this kind of thing, because their target is laid out nicely.
Perhaps replace it with a feature that grants advantage to one attack and recharges on a rest, or something along those lines.
>>
>>50435384
I think that I have no idea why this hasn't alreaddy been done. It makes a lot of sense honestly, and I don't understand why it wasn't already done in 3.pf. What the martial has to take 15 feats to ride a horse effectively, but the caster can just learn wish on whim? Makes a ton of sense.
>>
>>50435992
Since 3.5 is canonically Vecna's fault, can we blame him for favoring casters so much?
>>
So I was thinking of a monk archetype that does some healing, and more supportive role, let me know what you guys think.

Level 3:

Prayers of Vigor and Frailty

You can spend 1 ki as a bonus action to heal an ally within 30 feet. For 1 minute you are concentrating on this heal. At the beginning of their turn they gain HP equal to your proficiency bonus.

You can spend 2 ki as a bonus action to weaken an enemy, when they do damage, subtract your proficiency bonus from their damage. If multiple damage types are involved, the reduction is applied to the larger damage. This reduction to damage lasts for one minute and requires concentration.

Level 6: When you hit an enemy with an attack with a monk weapon and you are concentrating on a prayer of vigor, your ally gains additional HP, 1 per attack hit.

When you hit an enemy that is effected with a prayer of frailty, the damage reduction is doubled until the beginning of your next turn.

Level 10: Your prayers now can be applied to multiple allies and enemies. When you cast prayer of vigor you may use additional ki to cast it on multiple allies. Per each ki is how many allies you can add it to.

When you cast Prayer of Frailty you can spend 2 ki points per enemy.

Level 17: Your prayers now greatly empower your allies and ruin your enemies. Prayer of Vigor now grants double healing if the ally was damaged last turn.

When prayer of frailty is active on an enemy they cannot add their ability scores to damage rolls, and saving throw abilities gain this effect. "On a successful save, no damage or conditions effect the target."

This is a first draft so it's not gonna be the finished product.
>>
>>50436018
Prior to 3e, Wizards only needed 25% more XP than fighters to gain levels on average, and still got world-shattering powers. The main difference was the complete restructuring of saving throws, which in older editions completely ignored spell/caster level or anything beyond attack type.
TL;DR: "linear fighters, quadratic wizards" is older than some people here.
>>
>>50435771
Thank you, everything you said makes sense.

>>50435810
Maybe, but mathematically over time it's the same amount of damage.

>>50435934
Your words give me a heavy heart. I'll resist the urge to respond point-to-point since you've made it very clear that you do not like what I've made.
>>
>>50436063
Vigor prayer is a bit much. At level 3, you have 60 points of out of combat healing to distribute, regained on a short rest. That's 6 goodberry spells.
For frailty, make it "When they roll damage, reduce it by your proficiency bonus." or something similar. Maybe limit it to once per turn.
I like the idea of having the other features key off the early ones, but you need to be careful since that's not precedent with other monks- while they often synergize with themselves, they don't directly add on.
The level 17 frailty debuff is a bad idea because it makes your DM have to fiddle with numbers in the statblock to figure out where ability scores end and other things begin. Could really bog things down when multiple targets are involved.
>>
>>50435855
Jury is still out on the kitsune, I have 1 more day until the courier with my message can make it to her
600 plat out for the undertake courier too
>>
>>50436063
I like it, I really appreciate non-traditional healers.
>>
>>50436063
You need to clear up your grammar, but I actually think this is pretty cool. I especially like the idea that ki-based healing is gradual, rather than in bursts. It's lore-appropriate and differentiates the archetype from other healers.
Proficiency bonus is an appropriate scaling value for this. My one concern is that ki points, since they are regained on a short rest, can be spent for tremendous healing between battles.
Let me know if you want some help polishing the grammar and phrasing.

>>50436093
Take anger-anon's words at their value. Anger-anon raises some good points and some bad, in addition to being an ass. Don't let a dismissive tone affect your perception of feedback.
>>
>>50436157
Do you have an estimate of when you might post on the saga's continuation? I am actually rather curious about the whole thing.
>>
>>50434551
Are you the guy with the loaf of bread that would triple in size every day, would putt while you stood next to it and kill anyone who ate it?

Whatever happened with that?
>>
>>50436191
We do 12 hour sessions every Saturday, so look forward to next Monday
We are slipping a gender change potion into the love interest of a party member during said kings crown ball, so that should be fun
>>
I want to fix sorcerers. One feature of my fix is the following.

Meta magic is redone to use sorcery dice. You can expend sorcery dice as you cast a spell for free, or as another creature casts a spell as a reaction. Expending a sorcery dice in this way let's you modify the spell using features similar to existing meta magic, but you can also do the reverse, such as making a bonus action spell take a full action to cast, or weakening the damage of an offensive spell. You regain expended sorcery dice at the start of your turn.

Thoughts?
>>
File: smug skelton.png (32KB, 178x190px) Image search: [Google]
smug skelton.png
32KB, 178x190px
>>50436216
>12 hour sessions
not sure if jelly or disgusted
>>
On a similar note, is it wrong of me to want to do away with the incrementing number of damage dice on cantrips?
I mean even as they gain more spells, slots and spell levels, they also have this thing that does deal a good amount of damage, increasing at the same rate that martials gain extra attacks.
Isn't that a bit broken or is that just me?
>>
>>50436214
The bread was sentient, but could only feel pain and sadness
With no way to vent it's emotions except to grow and consume
I managed to talk to Asmodeus and a few other old gods, and working together, they managed to convince it that it was the rightful ruler if an additional layer of hell, and gave it proper intelligence/speaking capabilities rather than just sentience
Say hello to crusty, bread God of the 11th circle of hell
>>50436243
We start whenever then play for 12 hours with usually a single food break.
Snacks are encouraged
>>
Is there a reason so many people want to play Half Elf Warock? I recruited for a game online and half the submissions were that.
>>
>>50436253
That's kinda the point of cantrips?

I mean Warlock is practically built around it.
>>
>>50435934
.>>50435706

However, I am trying to be less of a cunt these days so I'm going to try to help you make this less garbage.

>Theme
As is, your theme is thin. Paper thin. Big guy with big weapon make big hit is, as I've mentioned, more or less covered by the Champion. BUT there is probably some design space for an archetype built around "punishing strikes". Mechanically, damage over time-- something alluded to in the "Mortal Strike" feature.

>Suggested fixes
To that end, we need to re-examine your 3rd level feature. Keeping it connected to Extra-Attack-As-Resource isn't a terrible idea.

>Mortal Strike
At third level you learn how to make your strikes bleed people like fukkin' bitches. When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you may mark the target as a Total Fukkin' Bitch.
Whenever you hit a Total Fukkin' Bitch, you deal bonus damage equal to your [whatever you call something mechanically equivalent to Rage bonus damage].

Thereafter you can have features which expand on the fundamental archetype feature of Total Fukkin' Bitch. You can forego attacks in order to bleed 'em (some average damage instead of the chance for big damage) apply conditions, etc.

There. That's my shitty attempt at not being a cunt and giving constructive feedback. Try again and make it better.
>>
>>50436305
Because it's simply the best choice by a wide margin. I don't really even consider myself a powergaming nigger and I'd pick it if I couldn't think of a better backstory relevant one.
>>
>>50436253
It's that way so in a world where a DM actually pushes casters to their limits where they are working with 0 spell slots, they can still do ok damage.

4d10, a firebolt by a level 20 caster can easily do less damage than a level 5 martial with a 2 handed weapon, but 20 damage is never nothing in this game even with 300 health enemies.
>>
>>50436083
You're forgetting that older edition wizards had their spells picked out by the DM, and their casting took time and could easily be interrupted by one enemy with darts. Clerics as well only went up to 7th level spells.

They actually needed Fighters to stand in front and protect them, because Fighters were tough as hell and had great saves.

It wasn't perfext, and a high level caster could still wreck face, but it was nowhere near 3.5, which basically removed all of their downsides.
>>
>>50436281
That's both hilarious and saddening at the same time. At least he became a ruler in superhell
>>
>>50436305
Because Half-Elf is by far the best option for any charisma-based class.

The only exception is Paladin, where Variant Human is a tie just because of how ASI-starved that class is making the free feat very valuble.
>>
>>50436305
They're optimized.
+2 primary stat, +2 floating, 2 skills to give them versatility from a non-skill class.
16 Cha with 16 and 14 in Dex and Con easily, no "racial powers" they don't care about when they could be a cantrip turret.
From what I've seen and read, people who play warlocks tend to fall into one of three broad strokes. People who like the flavor but go in without understanding what the class does differently from other casters, first time optimizers going for the basic low hanging fruit, and people who love the flavor and some of the odd powers and don't care about it being a bit plain or boring mechanically.
>>
>>50436329
Am I the only one who made a half-elf warlock because I thought it was cool from a role-playing perspective?

>>50436344
True, spell interruption was a real concern, at least depending on which initiative rule variant you used. Remember that attacks of opportunity weren't a thing, though.
As for "spells picked out by the DM," that's kind of-sort of true. Spell research was an important mechanic (at least in 2e); wizards could theoretically discover any spell (subject to a permanent failure chance). And specialists gained spells as they leveled up, which they could choose if the DM allowed it.
>>
File: 1479421949131.png (544KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1479421949131.png
544KB, 640x360px
How long are your sessions, /5eg/?

Usually 4-5 hours here.
>>
>>50436445
>Half-elf taps into power through a deal with either his fey ancestors or seeking out the power of his heritage
>Spurned by relations, takes up a deal with a fiendish power to get by
>Struggling in arcane academia, the student uses a mysterious and forbidden power to fuel his spells
>Fearing the quick death of their human blood, a half-elf seeks the age-denying magic of an undying patron
I'd be down for the first or last, perhaps.
>>
2.5-4 hours, sometimes going longer depending on people's work schedules.
>>
Any advice on RPing a Cleric of Lathander?
>>
>>50436460
>>50436281
12 hours boss
>>
>>50436515
cuddle babies and annoy everyone by talking about how great sunrise is
then kill yourself for playing a worshipper of worst sun god
>>
>>50436460
3-4 hours if people can show up at all. Everyone has pretty different work schedules so it's a massive pain in the ass to get them together.
>>
>>50436515
>Any advice on RPing a Cleric of Lathander?
RP a cleric of Pelor instead
>>
>>50436597
I know what you mean, my guy. I DM a campaign with pretty much my entire friend group, so me and 5 other people.

One doesn't work, one works a random schedule, one works till 1am every day, one gets sick really often, one has a similar schedule to me.

Either we have to find a really special day to make it work, or do what we have been doing for the past year, which is play from 1am-6am~. It is kind of suffering sometimes.
>>
>>50436616
>>50436580

It's Forgotten Realms so I needed a FR deity.
>>
>>50431999
Is Storm King's Thunder any good?
>>
>>50435184
It really is. The difficult part is trying to manage a party this big in combat and still being able to challenge them. I think I've managed to do a good job so far though.
>>
>>50436680
It and Strahd are the best adventures.
>>
>>50436460
Anywhere from 4 to 8 hours on average. If we start early in the day it can be as much as 12.
>>
>>50436504
>Half-elf who never knew his wood elf father searches for him, only to be tricked by high elf servants of the Queen of Air and Darkness
>Ends up an unwilling pawn of the Queen, used to further her grand schemes
>Eventually has enough and decides that if he has to play faerie politics, he's going to do it well
>>
File: Imp.jpg (456KB, 843x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Imp.jpg
456KB, 843x1000px
Getting back into the swing of being a DM. After something like two years since, I want to put in that little bit of effort more than MS Paint and chicken scratch. Been using Inkarnate for grander maps and landscapes to great effect, but does anyone have any recommendations for those roll20 art packs? I need a nice pool of buildings and tiles (roads, mainly) to make some varied cityscapes.
>>
>>50432266
>this lack of self-awareness

small kek
>>
>>50436680

It is fantastic. Not just the adventure itself, but in many ways it is a mini-sourcebook for the Savage Frontier of Forgotten Realms. There are OODLES of encounter suggestions and content fleshing out small parts of that world. Strahd is great, but I've never been a huge gothic horror guy so SKT is my top adventure module.
>>
>>50436638
a m a u n a t o r
>>
>>50432376
Nah, girls play elves.

Every female player I've EVER played with -- a total of 7, by my count -- has played an elf.
>>
File: DND-AL-Site-Logo-S5-LP.png (104KB, 671x260px) Image search: [Google]
DND-AL-Site-Logo-S5-LP.png
104KB, 671x260px
>>50432240
Asking one more time because I haven't gotten a good answer yet.
>>
Druid Circles and Wild Shape
>https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Druid11272016_CAWS.pdf
>>
>>50436878
Run Lost Mine of Phandelver. Adventurers league quests a super short, and you don't need someone to write "players fight 4 wolves" for you.
>>
>>50436876
All but one for me, who's playing a Human Barbarian chick.
>>
>>50436887
>>
>>50432646
>mushroom tiddies

...p-post more
>>
>>50436887
that looks like the real stuff
>>
>>50436878
You don't need the DMG to run games at all. The Players Hanbook is the first one you should get. If you are that worried check the trove.
>>
>>50436946
It is, it's the new Unearthed Arcana.
>>
>>50436925
>More fey classes
So is the next adventure/PHB2 going to focus on the Feywild?
>>
>>50436925

+5ft. for 1 minute per die spent? Monk/Rogue, Haste, and a level 20 Dream Druid = The Flash
>>
>>50436515
I haven't actually played the character yet but my cleric of Lathander will be a little like Elder Price in book of Mormon (trying to convert everyone, including the BBEG).
>>
File: firbolg.jpg (97KB, 736x911px) Image search: [Google]
firbolg.jpg
97KB, 736x911px
>>50433187
>Frank Frazetta's The Frost Giants

Pic related, for those who didn't want to Google it.
>>
>>50436911
I actually play AL and it's not that bad at all.
>>
Do you let players tweak abilities for player flavor even if it might give some advantage?

ie: GOOlock with Animate Dead, rather than the usual necromatic ritual, they fill the bodies with their alien willpower and puppet them around, and can use their 30 foot telepathy from the new zombie thrall to speak and instead of losing control after 24 hours the spell is simply to keep puppeting it around, otherwise it becomes just a corpse again.

Maybe add a clause that it doesn't work on corpses older than X days?
>>
>>50436981
Don't forget tabaxi+longstrider+boots of speed+something else I'm probably forgetting
>>
I'm confused about Grapple rules fellas.There will be some Vine Blights and the MM says their attack grapples.

1. Is the grapple immediate? Do I give the player a save after the attack hits? Or do they get to try on their turn?

2. How does the PC break of the grapple? It says DC 12 but what is it? A STR check? An Athletics check? A Str Save? A Dex check? Acrobatics check? A Dex Save?
>>
>>50437085
A small advantage isn't a big deal, telepathy should be fine since you could just talk to them earlier, or get the message cantrip.
>>
>>50437106
If the attack hits, it immediately grapples.

A strength check.
>>
>>50436925
>Bonus action d6 healing that doesn't use a spell slot
It's not life cleric tier, but it might make a druid a better healer than a paladin
>>
>>50436887
>>50436925
>>50436946
>>50436981
My fucking god, as if summoning beasts wasn't already too strong
>>
>>50436887
>>50436925
So Healing sun druid, totem shaman, and undead hunter?

I can dig it.
>>
I just want the Mystic Take 3 already. That's all.
>>
>>50437154
In a world where a caster can roll a 2 on a DC 10 concentration check summoned creatures will always not be THAT great.
>>
>>50437085
You know I actually didn't realize when I typed that out that Warlocks can't get Animate Dead.
>>
So new wild shape rules or old ones?
>>
>>50436876
That's the dumbest generalization I've ever heard. I've played with several girls and only one has ever played an elf. The rest played things as varied as dragonborn, shifters, tieflings, and half-elves.

Of course, my experience is no more definitive than yours, but you're the one making a general claim.
>>
>>50437298
>no humans or dwarves

Point remains
>>
>>50437292
In theory, I like having more structured rules for it. It actually becomes a meaningful objective rather than playing "mother may I" with the DM.
I wish that the summoned creature rules were similarly concrete.
>>
>>50436876
>Dwarf
>Water Genasi
>Dragonborn
>Changeling
>Human
>Half-elf
Granted, my friends are a bit past "entry level" and I think all the girls I saw in AL were elves or tieflings, with the exception of 1 pregen human.
>>
I like druids, but their spell list is shitty, no subclass address that.

I like how Circle of Dreams and Twilight level 2 abilities scale with level, but compared to life cleric Balm of the Summer Court is so weak. Also I don't think Twilight will be a better blaster than Land Druid, natural recover seems better than some extra dice.

Hearth of Moonlight and Shadow and Speech Beyond the Grave are more fluff than useful. Hidden Paths is great tho, I found it super cool

About the Shepherd, I have to think more to see how useful Spirit Bond is. The level 6 ability is huge, but imagine your player summoning 8 beasts each battle, I don't like how this circle incentive this.

I don't care about the 14th level features as we never get to that level.

The optional rules for wild shape are shit, they nerf it the wrong way, most forms mentioned Moon Druids get at level 2, they don't show CR 2 or higher for the subclass.

Wild Shape scales horrible imo, when you get it its great, but then most forms are weak. I would prefer something more similar with the play-test and the shape shift alternative class feature from 3.5, they can't balance monsters with druids in mind, so it would be better if druids got specific forms at specific levels
>>
Why doesn't the Volo's Guide in the OP have the super-dee-duper limited edition mind flayer cover/back?
:^(
>>
>>50437302
1. Point does not remain because you literally said they ALL play elves.
2. I was mentioning the exotic ones because I thought that was an interesting point to make. The first girl I ever played with played a dwarf. I've also played with multiple girls who played halflings.
Admittedly, no humans. But most guys I've played with also like various exotic races, so that may be a trend but it's not an absolute statement.
>>
>>50437428
b/c no one who got that cover scanned it and posted it here
>>
>>50437451
im so absurdly butthurt about this even though i have no right to be
>>
File: 1478526113872.gif (797KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1478526113872.gif
797KB, 300x169px
>>50437428
>Killing the spine of the good cover book to scan it
>>
>>50437482
its for the greater good anon
>>
>>50437500
All you need is a scan of both covers and the different cover descriptor on the...book data page, whatever it's called.
>>
I'm running LMoP and absolutely hate that some of the maps are based on 10 feet grids. Why would someone do this...

I have to maps printed out on big papers. How do I manage this?

- 4 medium creatures can fit on the same square. WHY???

- Spell AoE templates I have mean jackshit now. Can't use them.

- Should I draw new lines in between the grids to turn them into 5 feet? How can I even do this?
>>
>>50437630

Addition:

- Cover system is fucked.

- 10 feet wide doors. Bravo. Is that a fucking castle gate or a wooden hut?

Any self respecting map designer wouldn't use 10 feet grid...
>>
>>50437630
You mean the big overland maps. The ones that would be 4 times as big as a normal map if printed to the same scale. You don't really need to print those at full size if they're such a problem.
>>
>>50436925
>no swarm druid
>no blight
RIP
>>
>>50434750
Is it a straight expy of Blue Demon or a luchador?

If the latter than why not add Fray Tormenta as an influence? He was a priest that would wrestle to keep an orphanage open. Pic related.

I would make your PC a war cleric with the tavern brawler feat.
>>
>>50437688
Not the overland Sword Coast map.

I mean the MAIN QUEST Wave Echo Cave and a cool side quest ruined town of Thundertree.
>>
>>50437500
The greater good
>>
Druid UA is out; three new Circles (fae-like Circle of Twilight, Shaman-esque conjurer Circle of the Shepherd, undead-hunting Circle of Twilight) and variant rules for acquiring Wild Shape forms.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape

So, I'm curious; if I wanted to play a Sidhe Scholar in 5e, how would you do it? Circle of Dreams Druid, maybe with Wizard multiclass? Or a homebrew subclass for either the Druid or the Wizard?
>>
File: 5574-11011-3082.jpg (24KB, 491x727px) Image search: [Google]
5574-11011-3082.jpg
24KB, 491x727px
>>50437731
>Sidhe Scholar

...is this some Pathfaggot faggotry?
>>
New to bard, getting used to spellcasting in general.

I picked up phantasmal Force and some other battlefield manipulation spells, but Im still trying to get a grasp on how to use them effectively. I've set someone on "fire" with it, which helped break their concentration and aided in our fight, but I'm still feeling like there's huge potential to this spell in particular that I'm not touching on. Any help?
>>
>>50437799
Fae Druid from Dragon Mag
>>
>>50437731
Depends what you mean by "sidhe scholar." There are lots of fae-flavored options out for various classes. Could you clarify?
>>
>>50437731
If by Sidhe scholar you mean someone who studies the Sidhe, you could be anybody proficient in Arcana, I imagine. If "Sidhe Scholar" is some kind of specific prestige class from 3.5 or Pathfinder, the answer is probably that no option in 5e exactly matches all the class features you're looking for and you'll have to settle for someone with different class abilities, power origins, and/or weapon and armor proficiencies.
>>
>>50437799
>>50437820
http://alcyius.com/USRD/srd/classes/baseCore/druid.html#sidhe-scholar
>>
>>50437391
Its because Druid doesn't have a niche.

If you want to have an army of minions, you're better off going Necromancy Wizard

If you want to transform shit and have shit turn into animals or whatever you're better off being a Transmutation Wizard

If you want to be a nature-themed caster you're better off going Sorcerer or Wizard in general.

If you want to be a nature themed holy person you're better off going Nature Cleric.

If you want to be a healer you're better off going Cleric

If you want to be a defender of the wilds your better off going Ancients Paladin or Ranger.

There is literally no reason to go Druid, more than any other class. I mean at least Monk has its own niche, but Druid gets outclassed in everything it does by some other class.
>>
>>50437843
Ah, yes, so it is Pathfaggot shit.

Blow your brains out.
>>
File: Dragon #399.jpg (130KB, 478x649px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon #399.jpg
130KB, 478x649px
>>50437888
You're the laziest troll I've see today, have some (You)s so that you don't starve.
>>
>>50437843
>a spellcaster who derives power from a deal made with a fey noble
What you want is a fey pact warlock. That is literally what those are.
>inb4 "muh _____"
It's a different edition. Of course it's not going to have every weird third-party splat material. If that's what you want, play Pathfinder, where the splats never end.
>>
>>50437876
so can druids not be seen as an all rounder class for these things?
i dont see why everything has to be specced to the max
>>
>>50437804
Poison gas is good, it could make someone run away and have them avoid an area. Maybe something scary like a ghost or something.
>>
>>50437630
>- Should I draw new lines in between the grids to turn them into 5 feet? How can I even do this?

Do you really not know how to draw lines?
>>
>>50437929
When I fucked your mother, she just laid there like the overweight slob she is. She was actually eating a Hot Pocket when I busted a nut in her buttcrack.

That was the laziest troll I've seen today.
>>
>>50434378
Nice! but, i don't get why your DM would have to "let it fly." what you did was perfectly reasonable and fitting for the current situation.
>>
>>50437630
>>50437653
>>50437688
>>50437704
PotA has the same issue
>>
>>50437975
do you have a hot pocket fetish?
>>
Do you suppose that the new Bard colleges in the recent UA mean that they've scrapped Blades and Satire?
>>
>>50438020
No, just that subclasses rarely need more than one playtesting pass.
>>
>>50437948
Doing that makes the grid half inches so I can't use any figurines...
>>
>>50437843
Probably just play the new druid fey archetype that just came out.
>>
Roll20 DMs, can you scale tokens up in small increments or is it only by tile? And if so is a Large 4 tiles or 9?

I'm making my DM some tokens and being restricted to a square is mildly annoying so I was considering making a Large template and only using the center tile and spilling out of it's edges a little bit.
>>
>>50434324
Yes, eldrazi merged with two angels like some sick, grotesque science experiment
>>
>>50438117
im pretty sure theres a way to size up without grid-snap but i dont know it off the top of my head
for a large just use 4 tiles
huge would be 9
>>
>>50438153
I just made a blank session and tested it myself, it's Alt+resize.

Thanks anyway friendo
>>
>>50437942
Its just they aren't very good at any of these things.
>>
>>50437500
I think you mean the cheaper goods.
>>
>>50437995
might as well draw the maps by hand then

fuck that...
>>
>>50433569
or litterally any of the other actual good artists that wotc works with
>>
>>50438214
I'd say that in practice druids are better summoners than necromancers. In theory necromancers can be better, assuming that the DM allows him downtime and resources to gather up an undead army without any logistical issues with getting the army where it needs to be and without any NPCs taking any kind of serious offense. In practice, though, it's a lot more likely that you'll be able to just cast Conjure Animals inside the dungeon. No prep time, more mobility, and less chance of being treated like a fucking necromancer.
>>
>>50436330
That's kinda bull. So because some DMs run the gauntlet, the rest of us pay?
Maybe if the dice damage on cantrips didn't go over a d6 I could understand but most are d8 or d10 and poison spray is d12.
And it kinda sucks that if you go sword n board to protect those casters you can never hope to match it unless the DM is really generous with souped up magic weapons.
>>
>>50431999
New DM here. Going to have my first campaign soon.

Thinking of doing a Greek/Roman themed campaign. Does 5.0 support this?

Also are there any 5.0 DM traps that I should avoid?
>>
>>50431999
I like them as mediators between man and nature, working to enrich both at the same time. I also like to have a few semi-villainous decay-oriented druids wandering around who are overly fond of fungus and disease.

>>50437154
To be fair, Shepard Circle is the only one there that really competes with Moon Circle. Getting free summons when you're incapacitated is a nonsense though. Even if it didn't give you a 9th level spell at 14th level I'm not a fan of abilities that break the action economy.

>>50436954
Looks like Fey in 5e is becoming what Shadow was in 3.5.
>>
>>50438425
Poison Spray and Firebolt are strong because roughly FUCKING EVERYTHING resists or is outright immune to Poison and Fire.
>>
>>50438425
I'm going to assume you didn't read the entire comment because Anon flat-out says martials do way more damage than casters using cantrips, and that's without even mentioning their higher AC and significantly higher HP.
>>
>Poison Spray is broken
By all means, take it and use it any chance you get. May it serve you well.
>>
File: sonic ring.png (362KB, 496x347px) Image search: [Google]
sonic ring.png
362KB, 496x347px
RACE
Tabaxi - 30 feet, x2

CLASS
Monk 13 - +20ft
Barbarian 5 - +10ft
Elk totem - +15 ft (while raging)
Fighter 2 - extra dash action (Action Surge)

SPELLS
Longstrider - +10ft
Haste - x2, extra dash action

EQUIPMENT
Boots of Speed - x2

ACTIONS
Action dash - +speed
Action Surge dash - +speed
Step of the Wind dash - +speed
Haste dash - +speed

BOONS
Boon of Speed - +30ft

FEATS
Mobile - +10ft

CLASS FEATURES
Balm of the Summer court - +50ft

Speed
30 + 20 +10 + 15 + 30 + 10 + 50 = 165
165 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 1320ft base speed

Dashing
1320 * 5 = 6600ft movement

That's 1100 feet per second. That's 750 miles per hour.
>>
>>50438514
There are suggestions in the DMG for campaigns limited to Bronze Age technology. You'll have to change a bunch of little things to make the flavor right, though.
>>
>want to DM a campaign
>want to make my own setting
>lots of political intrigue, grays all around
>trying to make something interesting and not hacky
>still figure my setting isnt all that good compared to most homebrews

>go on roll20
>scope the competition
>first result
>This will be set in Xen'drik,this world was happy and peaceful with every race and city united.However there was an earthquake 50 years ago there was a massive eathquake that seemed to stir up the evil ago which seemed to have come from a place called last chance as many have entered but never returned, the group is travelling to last chance for their own good and evil intentions

I'm no salvatore but god i think im ahead of the game at this point
>>
>>50438514
There is a Greek pantheon, just flavor stuff and you should be fine.
>>
Druids:

>Level 1: Shillelagh 1d10 + wis damage, only 1 less than duelist fighter
>Level 2: Multiattack brown bear for 1d8 + 2d6 + 8 damage per turn and 34 extra hit points or become a Deinonychus if Volo's is allowed
>Level 3: Second level spells
>Level 4: ASI as everyone else
>Level 5: Third level spells, now you can conjure animals, the best blast spell for this level
>Level 6: Polar bear
>Level 7: Conjure woodland beings

Druids are great at low levels, but I would play a land druid above level 7, when new beast forms are scarce and shit
>>
>>50438527
>Looks like Fey in 5e is becoming what Shadow was in 3.5.
I hope you're not implying this is a bad thing.

>>50438613
>750 miles per hour
17 mph less than the speed of sound. So close. :/
>>
>>50438621
It's always better to look forward than back. But the best thing is not looking at others' work at all. Given how retarded this particular use of Xen'drik, only confirms it for me.
>>
File: 31363-791684.jpg (276KB, 2362x1585px) Image search: [Google]
31363-791684.jpg
276KB, 2362x1585px
>>50438652
Forgot very important pic related.
>>
>>50436876
All forest gnomes in my experience.
>>
>>50438669
This movie was crazy
>>
>>50438667
>this particular use of Xen'drik is*

sorry can't english
>>
>>50438613
Why wouldn't you just use woodelf? They have a 35 foot base speed.
>>
>>50438697
Tabaxi have base 30 but can double their speed on a turn. It's a huge boost over the old wood elf shenanigans.
>>
>>50438613
It's so close to breaking the Sound barrier. Surely we can squeeze out 5 extra feet somewhere?
>>
>>50438745
Oh shit, I haven't read Volo's guide. That sounds fucking awesome. I assumed that the dash was what the x2 meant
>>
>>50437804
Illusions are particularly difficult to master. They depend a lot on your own descriptions, and also how much your DM is willing to play along. There's a lot of potential, but they put a bigger responsibility on the player to tell a convincing story.

Dealing damage isn't really the main purpose of Phantasmal Force, if that's how you're using it you should also be doing something to affect the target's actions, usually by distracting or intimidating him. For example,
-Surround the target with duplicates of a party member who is in melee with it. The extra damage comes from the "attacks" of the phantasmal fighters. If the DM plays along the target might accidentally attack a duplicate instead of the real deal.
-Make some illusory traps, terrain, or obstacles that the target would reasonably try to avoid, to limit his movement options.

Illusions in general are also useful for selectively blocking line of sight and granting obscuring effects to your party.
>>
File: 8 GATES.jpg (171KB, 672x372px) Image search: [Google]
8 GATES.jpg
171KB, 672x372px
RACE
Tabaxi - 30 feet, x2

CLASS
Monk 13 - +20ft
Barbarian 5 - +10ft
Elk totem - +15 ft (while raging)
Fighter 2 - extra dash action (Action Surge)

SPELLS
Longstrider - +10ft
Haste - x2, extra dash action

EQUIPMENT
Boots of Speed - x2

ACTIONS
Action dash - +speed
Action Surge dash - +speed
Step of the Wind dash - +speed
Haste dash - +speed

BOONS
Boon of Speed - +30ft

FEATS
Mobile - +10ft

CLASS FEATURES
Balm of the Summer court - +50ft
Maneuvering Attack - Move half speed as a reaction

Turn 1: Wizard casts Longstrider on you. You activate your Boosts of Speed.
Turn 2: Wizard casts Haste on you, Druid uses Balm of the Summer Court on you. You rage.
Turn 3: Fighter uses Maneuvering Attack on you. You then activate Feline Agility and dash four times.

Speed
30 + 20 +10 + 15 + 30 + 10 + 50 = 165
165 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 1320ft base speed

Dashing
1320 * 5 = 6600ft movement
165 * 2 * 2 * 0.5 = 330ft using your reaction

6600 + 330 = 6930ft traversed in 6 seconds. That's 1155 feet per second.

787.5 mph. We Mach 1 boys.
>>
>>50438981
>shadow monk
>teleport into an area of shadow
>literally faster than the speed of light
>according to special relativity, the monk has just gone back in time relative to their original position.
>>
Gonna start playing CoS soon but I'm having a bit of an issue settling on a class. I played Cleric in our last (fairly lengthy) campaign and don't really want to do so again anytime soon, and one of my bud's has already decided on being a Paladin,

The issue is that I want to pick a class that's fairly decent at fighting the undead since I figure it'll be very necessary for obvious reasons, since the rest of my group besides my Pally friend aren't much interested in picking shit to fit the setting and are just going for whatever they feel like (which is fine, but I wanna try munchkin a teeny bit in character creation to make sure we don't struggle too much).

So yeah, what are my options for a class with an abundance of radiant damage or just decent anti-undead tools in general that isn't a Cleric or Paladin?
>>
File: image.gif (74KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
74KB, 500x394px
>>50438981
>rolling around at the speed of sound
>>
>>50438981
Is it sad that instead of immediately noticing the obvious addition I just put both posts in a diff tool?
>>
So what happens when a Necromancer looses control over his skeletons? I know that they get hostile, but hostile to what?

Do they attack themselves? Normally undead creatures don't attack each other but would they then be hostile to everything but undead creatures?
>>
>>50436878

You can get all the books and adventures/campaigns in the trove(s) in the original post.

Lost Mine of Phandelver from the starter set is literally designed for no prep(other than reading ahead of time) and it holds your hand for more than half the adventure module by offering you suggestions as you DM and what to look out for or expect. The AL adventures weren't designed with new DMs in mind at all. They require some prep work and more if you don't use them adhering to AL rules.

Also recommended for new groups is "Fey Sisters Fate" by Goodman Games(also in the troves third party folder). Its a good short adventure.

"A Boy and his Modron" is also good....might be in the trove but if not its free on DMs Guild.

If you don't know what to read you Start with the Players Handbook(PHB). You don't NEED the Dungeon Masters Guide(DMG) but it will be a HUGE help to a new DM as it breaks down how a module is written and put together, gives you tables and rules so you can adapt adventures/encounters to your group. You will need the Monster Manual(MM).

Read the PHB from P. 1 to 10 then skip to P.172 and read to the end then go back and read from P.11 to 171. Shit will make more sense.
>>
File: image.png (1012KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1012KB, 750x1334px
>>50439241
The reality is sadder than you think.
>>
>>50439342
Oh thanks, forgot to check the MM. So they attack living creatures, but if there aren't any living creatures they mimic what they did in life.

The problem that came up last session was that our necromancer got to 0hp, while his skeletons had no command. The animate dead spell says that they then defend semselves, but it was during combat. They shouldn't be intelligent enough to know what their allies or foes are, so I ruled that they attack whatever creature is nearest to them including themselves. I was unsure about the ruling so I said to the players that I will think about how we will manage these situations in the future. Any ideas?
>>
>>50439330
I already downloaded the Lost Mines and I will check out those other adventures. Thanks!
>>
>>50436887
this shit is insane, like, holy shit why.
>>
>>50439552
>how do we stop everyone from playing Moon Druid
>>
>>50439452
Animate Dead does not require concentration to maintain.
The necromancer falling to 0 HP should not release their control over their skeletons.

The skeletons therefore will defend themselves against anything that is hostile to it, and since the Necromancer isn't there to instruct what is and isn't an enemy it will defend against even allies if allies turn hostile to them.
>>
>>50438652
It is. Both are shitty planes.
>>
>>50439573
So as long as the players don't get hostile towards the skeletons, the skeletons will still do their job and attack enemies during combat?
>>
>>50432982
I dont think you should be allowed to homebrew if you aren't an experienced dm

>only know like 10% of the rules
>expected to know anything about balance
>>
>>50438981
When you double your speed you simply add you base speed again. So it would be
165+30+30+30 = 255
You do this because a change in the order of the operands change the result.
Also multipliers dont multiply themselves (so if your entire speed is doubled it would be).
165+165+165+165= 666
So at the end it would be:
255*5'5=1402,5ft per round -> 159mph
Because dash specifies that the movement increases after bonuses.
or
666*5'5= 3663 ->414mph

Still impresive either cases.
>>
>>50438214
They can wild shape while maintaining concentration
Thats sort of their thing
If you take the war caster feat on top of that you can maintaint concentration even easier
So you can maintain moonbeam or something on a target while beating the shit out of it as a bear or whatever and your human form is immune to damage during the whole fight because your wild shape is essentially overshield
Then you can wash rinse repeat a second time if you happen to get knocked out of it
Druids are a strong and versatile class if used correctly
Im aware wizards have a bigger spell list and clerics are better healers but druids absolutely do have their own niche
>>
>>50432982
>>50433076
>>50439706
There's a lot of homebrew for 5e that's in plain sight because the community is so starved for content. The problem is that, seeing as 5e welcomed a lot of people (which is good in general), a lot of them aren't experienced enough to produce good content. And let's face it, even experienced players don't always understand numerical balance very well.
I have to agree with Anon who said that only DMs should homebrew (with some rare exceptions). If you've never had to put an adventure together you really can't be trusted to understand balance.
>>
>>50439654
If it has been commanded to do something.

It takes a bonus action to give specific orders.

It appears that they can still act autonomously even without a bonus action taken, but only if the summoner commands something such as 'attack any who attack the party'. If they never gave such an order and instead only gave a specific order each turn, they'd probably defend themselves.

To be honest, I don't have a lot of experience with the spell but that's what the spell description is saying.
>>
File: CL_9EIzUsAAPhpU.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
CL_9EIzUsAAPhpU.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>50439728
>666
>>
>>50439728
>When you double your speed you simply add you base speed again
>Also multipliers dont multiply themselves
There is nothing in 5e that says either of these. There are no rules saying that multipliers to speed are applied individually and then added together. In this case your speed is doubled by Boots of Speed, and then doubled again (x4) by Haste, and then doubled again (x8) by Feline Agility.
>>
>>50439799
660* fixed.
>>
>>50439793
Well "defending itself" is just pretty vague in the middle of a combat where two or more sides clash at each other.
>>
>>50432982
I want to see what this homebrew is.

I love to vomit at the sight of homebrew. I guess it's masochism.
>>
>>50437980
probably the texting at the table. Lots of groups have that as a rule.
>>
File: 1461968352715.jpg (116KB, 668x1197px) Image search: [Google]
1461968352715.jpg
116KB, 668x1197px
One of my friends/players is trying to come up with a way to play someone from the new FF movie, I'm trying to take a crack at it and also having it be the "thrown weapons don't suck" archetype.

Fighter Archetype: Aperturist
Level 3: Can draw weapons with the thrown property as if they had the ammunition property, can magically recall a thrown weapon to their hand immediately after making an attack with it
Level 7: Can use a bonus action to teleport themselves to a thrown weapon instead, gaining advantage on the next melee attack they make before the end of their turn

I think it definitely needs more at level 3, it's practically just a rule fix and fluff.
Should I move the "thrown weapons drawn as ammunition" to a new fighting style instead? Or should I just allow archery to apply to thrown weapons? Dueling and TWF already do, and Defense is always good.
>>
>>50439055
just play aasimar
>>
>>50439924
Do you want it to compete in damage wise vers a longbow man or better the defenses? Cause you are gonna need more attacks in there if your job is d4+ Mod twice until level 11.
>>
File: Fraz'Urbluu.jpg (145KB, 500x455px) Image search: [Google]
Fraz'Urbluu.jpg
145KB, 500x455px
Alright I was hoping that someone here might have some ideas about a game I'm running.

tl;dr warlock player's patron isn't who they think they are. What do?

So, I'm running Out of the Abyss and one player is a warlock of Asmodeus. Over the course of the game I've been hinting that something is wrong with Asmodeus and his presence seems closer than usual. The reason for this is that the demon lord Fraz'Urbluu is actually pretending to be Asmodeus. I thought this could be cool because it'll be a surprise when they find out, and there's no harm done.

So, the problem is that I don't know how/when to reveal it to the player. Soon, they will be going to Mantol-Derith soon, and this is where the demon lord has formed his new domain.

Does anyone have any ideas about a fun way to deal with this? How would you like to find out as a player? Is there a way that I can delay him finding out till later?

Thanks!
>>
>>50431999
Is there no phb2 yet? Or extra classes/races? I was looking in the trove, but I didn't see anything.
>>
>>50439055
UA Ranger with Undead as favored enemy.
Sun Soul monk
Gothic UA Monster Hunter fighter.
>>
>>50440007
>>50440007
>>50440007
>>50440007
>>
>>50439864
That would likely mean:

1. Determine hostility. Is something attacking anybody you associate with? (Youself, your master, your undead buddies or one of your master's buddies? Skeletons have an int of 6 and a wis of 8, which is easily more than enough to tell who's probably the master's buddies.)
2. Determine teammate's course of action. Is everybody else on your team running away? If there is a notable threat to you (skeleton), you should run too. If there is not a notable threat, dodge action or do nothing.
3. Determine immediate and non-immediate threats. If it's attacking your face, react to that first. If it's attacking a teammate, react to that last.
4. Attack or defend? If a creature is close by, attack it until it stops attacking. If a creature is far away, defend.
5. Determine if inaction will cause further harm against ranged enemies. Are you standing still defending yourself while being bombarded with arrows, yet nothing seems to be killing the thing bombarding you with arrows even after waiting for something to happen? Attack the thing bombarding you with arrows, you idiot.

Well, that's how I'd do it.
I'd say they act very passively, likely staying close to the master unless commanded to be somewhere specifically. I wouldn't say the skeleton actually cares about the summoner unless specifically stated to defend the summoner, but they would regard the summoner's team as something that needs defending if the team is very close by.
>>
>>50439990
Elemental Evil Player's Companion, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and Volo's Guide to Monsters all contain "official" character options beyond those presented in the PHB.

There's also the ENTIRETY of the Unearthed Arcana folder, though that's essentially just homebrew that the designers are giving us for playtesting purposes. Don't expect too much of it to make it to official publication any time soon.
>>
>>50439818
>There is nothing in 5e that says either of these. There are no rules saying that multipliers to speed are applied individually and then added together. In this case your speed is doubled by Boots of Speed, and then doubled again (x4) by Haste, and then doubled again (x8) by Feline Agility.
implying that there is something in 5e that says in wich order you must apply the bonuses.
Using the best order for the best results ignoring it couldnt be 30x8+165 if that were true.

The only way it can be is as i say. 165+30+30+30, cos the order in wich you aply bonuses cant alter the result.
>>
>>50440161
You apply the bonuses and multipliers as they happen, i.e. chronologically.
>>
>>50440057
Thanks, that helps alot
>>
test
>>
>>50440213
You apply the bonuses and multipliers as they happen, i.e. chronologically.
Thats stupid anon all things goes at the same time. So its end being:
30+20+10+15+30+10+50+30+30+30
only the dash goest after:
>When you take the Dash action, you gain extra movement for the current turn. The increase equals your speed, "after applying any modifiers"
Dash is the only action in wich what you say happens.
>>
>>50439987
first question i gotta ask is if fraz'urbluu is aware of this warlock's patronage

if so, i could see ol' Fraz welcoming the warlock with open arms, which could spark some pretty interesting RP out of the warlock player if he's up to it
>>
>>50434459
They can in your game that I would want no part of.
>>
>>50436231
Reminds me of bardic inspiration. Doesn't sound bad, except sometimes it's a diceroll and sometimes it's just an effect and that sounds a little messy to me.
>>
>>50435608

Y'know, as a DM I'm tempted just to go with the '5 feet of water' part of that rule rather than the gallon thing in this case. Seems obvious to me the designers of that rule weren't mathematicians.
>>
>>50436231
Our Current sorcerer is basically using the Spell Point varient rule combining with Sorcery points.

So instead of spell slots, he simply has 4 Sorcery points to spend at level 1, 8 at level 2, 17 points at level 3. (Standard points + Sorcery points, used to cast spells and use metamagic).

Means they are supremely versatile in spell slots, they can spunk out nothing but level 1 spells every turn, or they can throw out a huge chunk of 3rd level spells that can make a warlock blush, or they can go nova and burn the entire load in a matter of rounds with high level spells and quickened cantrips.

The only issue i've found is the ability to have 4 level 3 slots in one encounter at level 3 kind of overshadows the Warlock, but he still has the "staying power" over the sorcerer after short rests. But it ultimately makes them incredibly unique and different from other casters, rather than just being "Wizard but worse spells and less selection."
>>
>>50436460
We meet every two weeks, 12 hour sessions running 10am to 10pm. Pretty great but we get through content rather quickly, we've , managed to beat entire chapters and level up in a single session, and once because we did the last 2 encounters of one chapter and the entirety of the next one, we went straight from level 7 to 9 in one.
Thread posts: 387
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.