[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Virtual /tg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 55

File: download (16).jpg (13KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (16).jpg
13KB, 300x168px
Alright, /tg/, it's time to switch gears.

The fact of the matter is that only about half the people who frequent /tg/ play games, the rest are here for Fantasy and Sci-Fi Navelgazing. This would be fine, except for the fact that it's led /tg/ to stagnate. The community has become toxic, especially towards those who want to create content, like artists, authors, and homebrewers.

So, here's what I propose: let's get /tg/ back into gaming. Sure, there's the Game Finder threads, but that's basically a Roll20 Beg Thread at this point. No, let's take the stress out of finding a group and going through that whole slog. RPGs take time and effort, and you guys don't have that. Let's cut to playing some games already. Here's a few resources for virtual games that don't require heavy computer specks or money, but still let you have an enjoyable experience in a hurry:

>MTG
http://xmage.de
https://cockatrice.github.io
Both are cross-platform and contain most of the released cardsets.

>Axis and Allies
http://atwar-game.com
A huge community development means that you can play using countless digital maps, both Real and Fictional.

>Cards Against Humanity
http://pretendyoure.xyz/zy/
A web-based Card Against Humanity clone. You can enter custom expansion packs. We should build a custom /tg/ pack.

>Wargames
So far, in the way of Wargames I have not found a great free Wargame program as of yet. If you have a suggestion I'm all ears for it, but as a Secondary Measure I'm going to start compiling various plug-ins, tools, and Icons for Roll20 that should make running a 1v1 Wargame much simpler.

I will be adding and expanding to this list as the thread goes on. Feel free to provide suggestions and I will add to it.

I hope to post this thread on a weekly basis. Thoughts?
>>
I like this initiative, anon.
I'm into the redaction of a more complete version of Night Shift. A lot of thing are happening around me for now, but in a month or two, I could post the result.
>>
>>50427095
Found this. Not sure if it helps you any but:

https://www.rpgsolo.com

Also, what about MUDs? Does /tg/ enjoy them and Interactive Fiction?
>>
>>50427573

MTG may be a staple but you should have stopped and thought WHY CAH isn't mentioned much on here.
>>
I heard tabletop simulator was worth it w/ mod support for war games. 20 Dollars tho.
>>
>>50427591
Honestly? Because it doesn't have a plot. Sure, there's the /b/-tier LoLrandumb bullshit aspect to it, but other than that... it can be a fun game.

>>50427621
Nah. If it's that much of an issue(with more people other than just you) I'll drop the link, but hey, I don't see your attempt at making /tg/ better.
>>
>>50427492
That is an option. I'll include links to the MUD and IF Archives in the next OP
http://www.ifarchive.org

http://www.mudconnect.com

MUDS... the MMO version of a Play by Post.
>>
>>50427617
I'm attempting on keeping this thing as poor fag friendly as possible, but I'll have a Paid option on there, and that does seem to be the best option with a one-time fee and the ability to upload custom models. Fantasy Grounds makes you pay for everything, and Roll20 requires a subscription in order to Script the API.
>>
>>50427095
Add Rolz.org, Fabletop, Board Game Arena, and anydice.com to your OP post.

Also, this is a good thread. I like it.
>>
>>50428497
Noted... though I'm not sure about Anydice. This is mostly a way to get /tg/ playing games, not necessarily a list of VirtuaI resources. A virtual FLGS if you will.
>>
>>50427852
>MUD
Why Doesn't /tg/ talk about them? I mean, we've got one for Discworld, how is that not like Fa/tg/uy Cocaine?

http://discworld.starturtle.net/lpc/
>>
>>50428599
I'm honestly up to GMing pretty much anything on Rolz these days - it's a good platform.
Maybe I'll create a campaign in a few days.

>>50428668
NO YOU
This is basically Game Finder thread, I dunno what you are so ruffled about, anon.
>>50428694
>Stop liking what I don't like!
t. you
And I too agree that CAH isn't a good game, but, fucking hell, you people are dicks about the most minute things.
>>
I agree, OP, great idea.

On topic, does anyone know decent mobile platforms for/ tg/ related games? Some of us are lame and poor and don't have internet access without our phones. I'd like to spend some free time on an online game I can access through my phone.
>>
>>50428706
>Guy starts a thread for people whose schedule or circumstances doesn't allow them to game or form a group.
>FUCK YOU AND FIND A GROUP.

You're the sort of person that makes fun of people in wheelchairs not being able to use stairs, right?
>>
>>50428792
There's the Frotz platform for text-based adventures and CYOA, which is great for solo /tg/ gaming if that constitutes as being /tg/-related. Same with MUDs.

I've found that Discord or Slack works rather well for play-by-post games, but you'll need to find yourself a group willing to run on there.

Roll20 also works if you have a tablet with a large enough screen.
>>
>>50427655
>Sure, there's the /b/-tier LoLrandumb bullshit aspect to it, but other than that... it can be a fun game.
So... if you ignore the entirety of the game, it can be fun?
>>
File: plan de mine niveau -3.png (656KB, 976x736px) Image search: [Google]
plan de mine niveau -3.png
656KB, 976x736px
For map creation, /tg/ gave me a nice tool last year, so for the newbies and the ones who missed it, I present you Inkarnate.

> http://inkarnate.com/users/sign_in#/

And Anamap, developped by deepnight.
> http://deepnight.net/tools/tabletop-rpg-map-editor/
>>
>>50429199
oops, forget this one. Never tested trough. been dropped by some anon a few month ago, saying this was his pet project, nearly finished. he must have ended it by now.

> http://rpgmapbuilder.com/
>>
>>50429184
Well, /his/ made themselves a CAH pack that was actually pretty good, so I was going off that. other than that, yeah, the game is pretty stupid.
>>
Alright, so perusing SourceForge, I found Vtable, which basically works like Roll20 does, with less features. Anyone think they could run a Wargame with this?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gametableproj/?source=directory
>>
I have mixed feelings about this thread. On one end, I disagree on premise that /tg/ "needs to get back to gaming" when it's always been like that. If I'm not actively in an active game, I'm working on characters or settings at least at the frequency I'd be at the tabletop. I also disagree that the fantasy and Scifi navel gazing is causing stagnation and chasing away content creators. We still have those, they're just not as engaged with the community as they were in years past. And I can't 100% blame them, Shakespeare gotta get paid. If anything is scaring away content creators, it's certain no-fun elements who respond to things they don't like with such creative statements as "kys" and "go back to tumblr", but this faction is a small minority on /tg/, not representative of half the board.

On the other hand, this is a great potential resource for people who want to get some traditional game on without the commitment that comes with game nights. So perhaps my suggestion is to consider how you frame the thread. Make it more about service than "fixing" anything because it's bound to coax out those who don't think there's anything to fix.
>>
>>50429271
Scrap this, I Just found the goldmine, Vassal.

http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php

Looks like someone already made stuff for 40k 7th
http://z13.invisionfree.com/vassal40k/index.php

https://www.mediafire.com/?99z1mc4anii1p19

And It also seems to have support for X-Wing Miniatures, as well as a variety of other stuff.

Virtual /tg/ Now supports Wargaming.

>>50429426
Ah, yeah. I guess I was being rather cynical, but it seemed necessary given the content of a number of recent posts. My main goal is to cut down on shitposters. Getting the community in a better, active gaming mood seemed like a good place to start.
>>
>>50429252
You know what, I'm going to disagree that CAH is stupid. CAH is a social game about knowing the boundaries of the people you're playing with and where to cross them. It's about being obscene and offensive and getting a rise, but doing it in person. It's a game that is entirely dependent on inside jokes and social cues, not something that can be mathematically solved. And holy shit, /tg/ has some time level material to put together a great CAH deck. Black cards like "Elf Slave what do" and "I'm angry, angry about ______" plus white cards like "peasant rail gun" and "CREEEEED" would make some top quality fun around the tabletop with friends in the know.
>>
For chess players, there's this:

http://www.freechess.org/

A large number of chess apps connect to this, the Free International Chess Server, so it's probably the best option for mobile as well.
>>
>>50427511
>opens thread just to be aggressive
Why though?

>>50427095
It's just the generals.. If there weren't so many goddamn generals around, this would be a lot nicer. Fuck Age of Sigmar shit, too. 40k wasn't even that good to begin with.
>>
File: [13-digit time code].jpg (12KB, 341x313px) Image search: [Google]
[13-digit time code].jpg
12KB, 341x313px
>>50428934
Probably for the best. One of the better things of CAH is seeing and hearing people's reactions IRL. Sans that, it's just kind of boring without a REALLY good cardset that doesn't promote humor through obscenity.

>>50429426
Yeah, some of the links posted here have been really helpful - MUDs sound kind of interesting, but I never really knew how to find a good one. If OP makes this thread again next week, I think they should change the post body's tone from "let's fix /tg/" to, well, "Virtal /tg/" like they wrote in the title. Focus on suggesting somewhat low-time-requirement stuff for those of us who don't really have 3 hours to schedule a game with friends plus the time to work on the setting/plot/characters outside of that.

>>50429467
IMO shitposting is inevitable. It's an unfortunately reliable way for people to get the attention they crave for very little effort - why should someone bother spending an hour or two writing a story/greentext for just one or two "I read the whole thing, good job" comments (and risking "fuck you what you did was a waste of your time and reading it was a waste of mine") when they can just post "lol jews did 7/11 Trump is behind gamergate sjw sjw sjw" and start a massive argument all by themselves?
Anger is by *far* the easiest emotion to inspire in people, so if someone's lazy yet wants to get validation that they exist and people pay attention to them, they can just throw a small bit of drama and salt in the thread without having to spend effort making something someone should care about (note that I say "lazy" and not "phoneposting", because while it's easier to be lazy and reply with small, useless things on mobile, I know for a fact people've written green, lewd and sfw, on mobile. It just takes motivation and persistence).
>>
>>50429519
I'm really not sure how to deal with generals without creating some sort of repository for popular game systems in the sticky. I mean, it's a possibility, but who would maintain it? Second would be how to deal with all the system-specific questions that don't deserve their own thread. Generals do both for newcomers. And finally some of the critical mass generals create for systems that wouldn't otherwise get for good discussion.

I'm not saying I disagree, I'm just bringing up the problems that generals organically were created to solve.
>>
>>50429564
The problem isn't Generals. It's the way they're used. People are too dependant on them.

This could be considered a general, but it's got such a broad topic that it doesn't have as many problems as a general does.
>>
File: Sexually Frustrated Cynders.png (405KB, 900x1059px) Image search: [Google]
Sexually Frustrated Cynders.png
405KB, 900x1059px
Pic unrelated, I just never get to use it.

>>50429519
>Why though?
For the (You)s, of course.
>It's just the generals.
Eh, generals tend to pop up no matter what - they're a function of a bunch of people frequently wanting to discuss the same topic. That said, it would be interesting to see what would happen if making a new thread before the old one 404s and linking to the previous one were disallowed. That way, bringing over old arguments would be a bit more difficult. Not impossible, of course, but each thread would be more of a "new start."

>>50429497
That's... an interesting take on it, actually. After all, the decider person chooses based on what they find funniest, not necessarily what's most offensive (the basic deck makes "refuge in obscenity" easy, though). So while it's certainly possible to have a "/tg/ related" deck that has such novel combos as "The futa succubi have a new rival... [TEN FOOT DRAGON DONGS]", it's also possible for it to be "My setting is super original! It's like, Middle Earth but instead of Hobbits there's [yet another race of Humans But Differently Sized]!"

>>50429599
> it's got such a broad topic that it doesn't have as many problems as a general does
It's also *one thread old.* Every general seems like a good idea at the start - even in /vp/, the "ITT: we pretend we're in the Pokemon world" stuff spiraled from "haha we're pretending to be /pol/, /v/, /co/, and /soc/ but pokemon-themed, how novel" to "we have established characters, prepare to be ignored if you haven't been here the last 3 threads" within a week.
>>
I'm really happy with how many threads like this we've had recently. It's actually motivated me to get going some writing i had been meaning to do for /tg/. God speed OP. I really hope it hasn't just been you behind these threads, but if it has your a saint.
>>
>>50429599
No, I agree that how a general becomes insulated from the larger board, creating their own micro communities harms the overall quality of the board, isolating content that would otherwise enrich the rest of the community. The problem is that there's no way to regulate how people post in those generals and the threads themselves provide valuable resources that would otherwise get made into multiple superfluous threads that don't provide nearly as much clean, clear information as the OP of a general.

My question is how do we have our cake and eat it too?
>>
>>50429675

well i mean if we took all the resources from the op's in generals all the books and file shares and put them in a single repository and then pinned it so it was just there permanent like we would have all the resources in one thread permanently. Like have a thread where each post is the resource repository from a general and then stick it up at the top like the rules and the "quest is here now" one. True we would get a lot of threads with people asking "what about x" or smaller questions, but those would probably die pretty quickly once they got answered. there and gone you know?
>>
>>50429675
Simple. We figure out a way to teach people to distinguish between a quality post. Like so:

1. Does it Ask a Question?
2. Can the Question be answered with a simple Yes or No?
3. Is there at least one more question that can be asked after the question has been answered?

If so, it deserves its own thread.
>>
File: Harkness Test.jpg (128KB, 618x800px) Image search: [Google]
Harkness Test.jpg
128KB, 618x800px
>>50429746
Counterpoint:

>>what did he mean by this?
>Does it ask a question? Yes.
>Simple yes or no? No.
>At least one more question? "Is this the best way to deal with interspecies sex?"
That doesn't make it a quality post.
>>
>>50429777
Hmm. a fourth point then, Something to determine whether the post actually has substance.
>>
>>50429724
And now here's the real kicker: who would maintain this repository, these pastebins? Rule changes and fresh official content happen regularly and frequently. New games get made and rise to popularity. Within general communities you're incentivized to keep your resources up to date and since you're a part of it, but there's less incentive to do so across the whole of /tg/, and no matter what, eventually the person who maintains those resources will have life get in the way or lose interest or otherwise leave, and someone would have to build a new resource.

Of course, there are ways around this. A wiki, for example. If these resources could be built on, say, 1d4chan and then linked in the primary sticky, but that would require pretty much every general to agree and cooperate to build such a wiki repository.
>>
>>50429746
You know as well as I do that's impossible to enforce and would never ever happen.
>>
>>50429802
What we need is a Janitor-level Sticky. Something Janitors have access to edit, but no one lower. They're more active than the mods in boards.

>>50429821
Yes... But there is a way to *reinforce* it: We use it as a reply to shitposts the same way that the McGruff Copypasta is used about jacking off before posting. Once it becomes a meme in the system, it'll propagate itself.
>>
>>50429802

Point. why not just roll em into the fileshare thread? I'm pretty sure most of them are in there anyway?
>>
>>50429890
Because that won't work. It's part of the Social Herd mentality.
>"I belong to /5eg/"
>"I belong to /gurpsgen/"
>"I belong to EDH"
>"I belong to /pfg/"
>[All to pfg]"You're a fucking reprobate."

Apologies to Pathfinder players in advance, but I hope you're ashamed of your degenerate OP images
>>
>>50429971
>I hope you're ashamed of your degenerate OP images
We are, it's a shitposter that keeps sniping thread creation and won't fucking leave. Not that there isn't terrible degeneracy in the threads themselves lately.
>>
>>50429884
Again, an off-site wiki could do wonders to maintain those items. Simply require Resource-tagged posts to be edited by someone with an account. But again, that would require some coordination with generals and moderation and the off-site resource.

For reinforcing thread posting etiquette, it's still not gonna happen because it doesn't happen anywhere else on this site. Best chance is to just post Lurk Moar and hope that it derails into something beautiful.
>>
File: Important.jpg (81KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
Important.jpg
81KB, 850x400px
>>50430126
Actually, I'd argue that /tg/ can be taught etiquette, simply for one single fact:

The Mr. Rogers Threads.
>>
>>50430164
There's only etiquette in those because of the Mr. Rogers meme. Nobody actually cares, they're just playing along.
>>
>>50430126

I would agree with >>50430164. There has to be a way to encourage a positive board culture. I believe it can happen. I've seen threads that were downright civil, even threads that weren't Mr.rodgers threads. we just need to figure out what makes the civil threads civil and harness it. Unfortunately i have no idea myself.
>>
>>50430164
>>50430188
What I mean is that there will always be newfags who ask dumb questions and lazy trolls who would rather spam kys than argue logically. We find our own way though, you just have to trust people will want to post quality things and not engage trolls.
>>
>>50428934
Another phone error: "specks" should be "specs".
>>
>>50427095
why no vassal?
>>
>>50430269
Added it here: >>50429467, because I just found out about it.
>>
File: 173621.jpg (31KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
173621.jpg
31KB, 225x350px
>>50427095
>Tfw in the present day and time we still don't have AIs that can even direct the simplistic RP game, or learn the rules of a board game to play it with you

Why?
>>
>>50430640
There's the site >>50427492 mentioned, which looks interesting enough. AI is tough, and board game AI? That exists, but the entire point of this thread is to get /tg/ to play games they'll enjoy. Playing against an AI is just playing a game until you find the hole the programmers left in the AI Strategy so you could actually win. Playing against someone else will always be more fun, and potentially more challenging.
>>
>>50430801
Not that kind of AI, the kind of AI with some semblance of general intelligence.
>>
>>50430249
People don't like change. But make the change fast enough and you go from one type of normal to another.

-Terry Pratchett, Making Money

We're attempting to shift the status quo. Change peoples minds enough that when newfags come in, we can get them acclimated, and set them on the right path, because that's the path we're already headed in.
>>
>>50430861
Cleverbot can play a rousing game of 20Q, but I see your point. The problem is that when AI like that is developed, it's used for big picture stuff, not games. You finally get a big, complex AI to do that stuff, and they have it do things like play Jeopardy on TV, not D&D in your basement.
>>
Would a massive /tg/ discord server help for game finding?
>>
>>50430943
Only if it were in the OP of the original Game Finder Thread. It would create a group contact list of everyone looking for games on /tg/. basically what Roll20 does, but hopefully you'll get decent gamers because it's /tg/
>>
>>50430894
Maybe I should reframe. What I mean to say is that the etiquette you're describing already exists on /tg/ within the acclimated, contributing posters (this of course does not include shitposters and others who do not contribute positively). The problem, from my view, and I could be wrong, is that you likely don't see this as often as in years past because a decent amount of constructive conversation where such etiquette is necessity is happening walled off in general threads, and even within generals twists itself due to the isolation of said threads.

Removal of general threads would force content like that into the open and you'd see that etiquette much more visibly.
>>
>>50431040
That's just it. You can't remove Generals. You can move them to a separate board, but then the decent people will just go there, as with /vg/. Nobody likes /v/ now because of it. We saw the same thing happen with Artists and Authors with the removal of Quests. We can't let that happen again.
>>
>>50431101

I would like to preface this statement by saying that i am neutral on the issue, i do not feel one way or the other about the removal of quests. I am simply trying to educate myself. Why do you feel that the creation of quest had a negative effect on board culture? I personally feel like things are pretty much the same, just now we get people arguing about it all the time. Does quest produce content? I don't know, i haven't really been there. I didn't really ever interact much with quest threads. It's not that i disliked them, its just whenever i tried taking a peek it didn't seem that interesting.
>>
>>50431149
Ok, so, we are NOT turning this into a Quest argument. Period. The mods get on that shit faster than anything else.

That being said, the main thing about Quests was that they did two things.
1. They attracted artists and atorytellers who generated content for the board, both in and out f their threads.
2. They gave an outlet to the gameless, who could pop in and make their contribution, follow a storyline, and roleplay without having to invest much time or effort.

Those are both good things that we have to deal without now, and the results are pretty clear. Bait threads are up, shitposts are up, and the general feel of the board is not good.

But the mods made their decision, so the question isn't "how do we get Quests back?" It's "How do we make the board better without having to lean on them."
>>
>>50431101
>/vg/ is "decent people" and /v/ is bad because they moved the generals
Nah, /v/ is shitpost central because it has been that since 2010, not because of autistic k-pop and ksgs getting moved off the board. /vg/ is for autists, retards, and faggots and the rare occasional actually decent general thread for something recently released that dies after a month when it's lived it's natural life.

>Moving quests killed artists and authors
Are you off your rocker? Nazimoding and faggots who hated OC killed authors and artists on /tg/, quests were just a pale immigration of the actual genuinely good writefaggotry and artfaging /tg/ used to have in the golden days.
>>
>>50431237

My apologies, i never intended to get the argument going here, i just thought since this was a civil thread i may finally get an explanation that consisted of more than profanity and mindless insults.
>>
>>50431101
>We saw the same thing happen with Artists and Authors with the removal of Quests.

No we fucking didn't. These people were only contributing Quest-related content, so their removal went completely unnoticed by the 90% of /tg/ which paid no attention to Quests.
>>
>>50431237
I dunno man. There's not much that can match quests roleplay wise for sheer drop in and drop out ability.
The only thing I can think of that is close is play by post, and those are exponentially slower.
There just isn't much for the busy anon to play around here any more, I think.
>>
>>50431271
I noticed a sharp drop in content and board quality, actually.
inb4 people call me a questfag and quest arguments begin because everyone is still salty about quests on all sides
>>
>>50431239
>>50431271
Yes. But they were trying. The removal of /qst/ wasn't just the removal of those authors, it was a calling for the removal of everyone of that sort of mindset. "I want to write a story with and for /tg/" was replied to with "We don't want stories to be told on our board." The board was leading up to that for years, but the mods decision was the final nail in the coffin.
>>
>>50431281
I can say with some degree of certainty you imagined it. I left for about a year and a half with quest getting moved about somewhere in the middle mark and there was no noticeable difference in the quality of the posts on the board besides there being more of them to sift through since I wasn't filtering quests anymore.
>>
>>50431298
but anon, I just came back after two years and it is much worse than it was when quests were here.
>>
>>50431301

..........have you been tracting anon?
>>
if u wanna draw then draw, dont sit around moping
quests were the worst, it was the same 5 diabetic blimps going up each others asses
>>
>>50431312
google says that either is a mormon thing or doing hard drugs.
I don't THINK so.
>>
>>50427095
>Playing games
If this were allowed on /tg/ we'd still have Quests. /tg/ is only for discussing games, settings, and game mechanics.
>>
>>50431320

Ok then.
>>
>>50431318
>still salty about quests
It's impossible to have these threads or talk about it civilly, everyone is still salty about quests from all sides.
I keep waiting for the salt to die down, but it never does.
>>
File: Grenade throw fail.gif (2MB, 324x237px) Image search: [Google]
Grenade throw fail.gif
2MB, 324x237px
>>50431295
Except you know, that anti OC sentiment had been around forever. People fucking whined and cried when tripfags posted OC too, and when writefaggotry was trying to be a meme, or copy old /tg/ success stories. Nothing new.

>Now without quests we will never ever have OC writing again, it's the final nail in the coffin!
Stop being so melodramatic, I've seen a few story dump threads that lasted for days in the last week
>>
>>50431335
It's actually been getting measurably worse over /tg/'s career as content creation dwindled further and further.
It's actually quite fascinating to watch, since we have an archive almost all the way back.
>>
>>50431352
>t's actually been getting measurably worse over /tg/'s career
Then put your money where mouth is and prove it.

Hardmode, prove it has anything to do with what's allowed on the board, and doesn't have everything to do with WHO is allowed on the board (proportions of newfriends versus old grognards)
>>
>>50431352
>all our golden age artists are now gone
>popular sentiment is now that everything that has been done in the past is cringey
It's a weird feeling.
>>
>>50431384
Anon, if you want to take up the hobby of board observation, go nuts.
I'm not going to demand you prove your inaccurate claims. I'm just going to fill you in that you totally missed the greater pattern.
>>
>>50431387

unfortunately culture has shifted to where being contrarian is considered to be intelligent/refined. It's quite irritating.
>>
>>50431335
Ah, no, that's not what I meant. Really, you can't change any of this Quest business. I've said that over and over again. What we can do is change the way the board is headed. I've done numerous things with and for /tg/. I made the Calvin and Hobbes RPG, I got Virt to stop spamming the same threads over and over again, I suggested we challenge /vp/ to a pokemon battle for the winter ball and kept everyone pumped. I even post a semi-monthly Mr. Rogers thread to keep board Morale. Each time I did something like that I saw the old /tg/ come through for me, and do some amazing things, like be good people on a board with no rules, or show some true creativity and support. /tg/ can still be like it was. Maybe not exactly like it, but it could hold that same mentality at some point. I want to see that happen.

>>50431327
Well, then, maybe it's time to change.
>>
>>50431422
well, at least they are trackable to the various places artists went after the various culls. Some of them.
>>
>>50431429
Well, yes. It is time to change. The change was to not playing games.
>>
File: 1480300282826.jpg (22KB, 378x273px) Image search: [Google]
1480300282826.jpg
22KB, 378x273px
>>50431396
>I can measure and demonstrate my claim
>Okay then do so
>Come on man, it's not my job to prove shit to you
>>
>>50431445
It isn't really.
It's not like you endeavored to prove your statement.
Why do you ask more of others than you do of yourself?
>>
>>50431387
Man, do i blame that cringe meme on newfags, or what?
>>
>>50431396
And let me let you into a greater pattern I've observed, past the short period when a board is new and fresh and does the really interesting things, and then past the period of slow decline after that, boards plateu. That is to say they don't really get worse, they just change and become shitty in new and less than exciting ways. I cant think of a time after nazimod and the various floods of people that came in in 11 when /tg/ ever got that old spark back. Just long periods of dullness with the occasional diamond in the rough sprinkled here and there. /tg/ was in her twilight years a while ago anon, these are just her final death throes.
>>
>>50431478
Im heading to sleep now.
Good luck with the australians, op.
>>
>>50431520
I'd say we are in a bronze age right now.
>>
>>50431478
>Why did you ask me to do so much
Because you jumped into the conversation claiming to have a measurable phenomena you could use to prove your claims about the quality of the board, where as I never made any claims of objective measure?
>>
>>50431478
>>50431520
OP here, If I may. From personal experience, I was around during the creation of the HUGE Marines. I even helped add fluff to it. During that time we also had regular Mages Guild thread, and Pathetic Marines threads. RP was a common sight on the board, especially through quests. There was also the Risk threads, a couple of Four Square and other threads, and some genuinely interesting discussion. Now, while all that isn't explicitly banned, it's non-existent because there's a stigma to not doing it.
>>
>>50431101
>>50431149
I actually think quests were a good thing. They encouraged fresh content, brought in new faces from different boards who did explore due to the fact that quest threads were intermittent, they encouraged writefags and drawfags to stay around to contribute in other non-quest ways, and increased competition for thread space, which has never honestly been an issue on /tg/. There was a certain insularity to each quest thread, but because the day to day goings on of any specific quest wasn't necessarily relevant to most posters, it wasn't an issue.

I dislike Generals because they do the opposite: they encourage insularity of important topics, consolidate valuable discussion topics to a single thread, even when they're large enough to warrant their own thread, and they tend to lock people into a single interest. You won't find people singing the praises of Mutants and Masterminds in the D&D general, and so you have lower exposure to new ideas. Orthodoxy becomes very strong in general threads for this reason.

But, as I've explained, generals also do a good job of consolidating information to prevent a good bulk of shit threads from being made, and so the only way that mods will be able to effectively ban general threads from /tg/ without having to get a /tg/ general board, would be to consolidate the resources rather than discussion.

>>50431281
Board quality dropped because of a reduction of the variety of threads that shit threads have to compete with to stay on the board, not necessarily because quests prevented shit content or always added good content, but because they simply took up enough space to displace a certain amount of shit, the opposite effect to generals.
>>
So, this Vassal thing lets you play 40k right? Well, I'll be honest, I've wanted to try the wargame for years but haven't been able to play because the hobby is too expensive. If there's a way to play online though, I'm totally down, and I'm sure a lot of others are too.

But how does it work? Is it like YGO where you can make an illegal move, your opponent and you just have to pay attention and work on essentially an honor system? Or is it designed so you can't, for example, move a model 7' when it can only move 6' according to its rules?

Also, would it be possible to get a sort of game night going on /tg/? A night where new players can kinda pop in and veteran players can help them learn the ropes? Cause that would be much better than playing with randoms that'll get frustrated if you keep fucking up, or other new people who are just as clueless as you are.
>>
>>50431930
>How does it work
Here's a tutorial, it should give you the basic ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOXqFypF5Yo
It looks like all the units are pre-statted, which means that, while you'll be playing with generic units and icons, rules are probably enforced. I'm not sure myself though, as I only took a cursory look at the program.

>Also, would it be possible to get a sort of game night going on /tg/? A night where new players can kinda pop in and veteran players can help them learn the ropes?
This is an idea. One that I like. This is, however, dependant on the availability of other board members willing to teach. Maybe pop in to a 40k general and pop the question?
>>
>>50432036
Actually, here's a decent example of actual gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ugQB3ryGaQ

If there's Anyone who actually plays here, could you give me a quick rundown on how Accurate this system is. Does it feel like 40k?
>>
File: TBTOPRN.png (38KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
TBTOPRN.png
38KB, 350x350px
>>50427095
I fully support you and this endeavor, OP.

>>50431429
>I made the Calvin and Hobbes RPG
Oh hey, I remember that thread.
Good Stuff.

>I got Virt to stop spamming the same threads over and over again,
Are you a wizard or did this involve violence?
>>
>>50432348
Nah, I told him that repeating the same threads over and over again wasn't what we all expected from the legendary VirtualOptim. Turns out he was almost as tired of his bait as we were.
>>
File: ConsiderTG2.png (118KB, 956x1002px) Image search: [Google]
ConsiderTG2.png
118KB, 956x1002px
>>50431520
>/tg/ was in her twilight years a while ago anon, these are just her final death throes.
/TG/ IS DEAD!

>>50431429
>Each time I did something like that I saw the old /tg/ come through for me, and do some amazing things, like be good people on a board with no rules, or show some true creativity and support. /tg/ can still be like it was. Maybe not exactly like it, but it could hold that same mentality at some point. I want to see that happen.
LONG LIVE /TG/!

We can never have the /tg/ of the past back again.
It is the past.
All we have is the /tg/ of the future.

I try to support a brighter /tg/ by contributing content either by writing, by drawing, by posting humor, or just by being excellent to other anons whenever possible.
I do so because shitting on a dying corpse is not a good use of my time, because no other online community I've found suits my needs so well, and because striving to build up a community is more challenging than shitposting and if I'm going to be wasting my time posting on the internet, I might as well git gud.
>>
>>50432389
>Turns out he was almost as tired of his bait as we were.
Ah. I always wondered about that.
I understand eager young shitposters testing the waters.
But ancient trolls still baiting hooks with tired shit is simply beyond my understanding.
Which is kinda nice, really.
>>
>>50432504
I believe he may be responsible for the Martial vs. Caster outbreak earlier, but I can't be certain. Good work, all things considered. I think he managed to start the same argument twice within a 24 hour period. You don't see that in new shitposters. Don't have the Gall for it.
>>
>>50432452
Let's fucking do it. I want to be able to say with certainty that /tg/ gets shit done again.
>>
File: Coil up with a good book.png (2MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Coil up with a good book.png
2MB, 2048x2048px
>>50431422
There's honestly something quite nice about not giving a shit about anons' opinions.
It's actually a lot like the whole "don't pay attention to bullies" bullshit parents try to push on kids, except here it actually works because there's no threat of being beat up, just insulted. And there's really nothing they can actually do to stop someone from posting green about, say, curling up with a cute naga bookworm.

>>50432909
Best way to do that is to actually start doing something yourself. Write green, design a mechanic, draw tiny dragons, etc. Try to encourage others to follow, and eventually, some will.

For example, let's see if we can come up with a /tg/ CAH deck. As mentioned earlier in the thread, they should be less shock humor and more board references.
Black:
>"My setting is super original! Imagine Middle Earth, but with _____ instead of Hobbits!"
>The next adventure takes place in the Elemental Plane of _____.
>I am angry. Angry about _____.
White:
>quest drama
>Slaanesh
>elves
>the die that always rolls like shit
>WAAAGH!
>caster supremacy
>muscle wizards casting Fist
>six crit fails in a row
>Heresy! *BLAM*
>Pot of Greed
>Emracool, the Aeons Hip
>checkmate in 14 turns
>cheeto-covered character sheets
>Lilium and her horde of Anons
>edition wars
>>
>>50434196
>CoC, both of them
>>
File: 485520.png (74KB, 960x109px) Image search: [Google]
485520.png
74KB, 960x109px
With Blood Bowl being recently re-released, I'd like to shill for the /tg/ FUMBBL League which I run. We've been running succesfully for over a year now, we're into our sixth season shortly and always welcome to new players as long as they don't fuck off after two games.

Come find us in the Blood Bowl general, /bbg/.
>>
>>50434196
White
>"Our DM's Magical Realm consisted of ____ and ____"
>"So, no shit, there we were, caught between ____ and ___, all because of Nubby. Again.
>"Instead of Elves, the latest /tg/ race war will be a comparison between Dwarves and _____."
>>
File: Crocodile pats.gif (2MB, 399x215px) Image search: [Google]
Crocodile pats.gif
2MB, 399x215px
>>50434305
I think it's also that using a full keyboard makes it easier to write longer and see more words on your screen, whereas a phone tends to encourage you to write shorter stuff.

>>50434489
Black, you mean.
White:
>Quest quest, thread #3824
>Pun-Pun
>>
>>50434537
Ah, yeah, sorry.

>>50434489
White
>A Bear with surprisingly good table manners, and far to much proficiency with disguise kits.
>shagging not just a cow girl, but also a dog girl.
>Wanting to fuck a literal Dragon
>Not Jacking off before posting to /tg/.
>All the subtlety of a Wereboar Assassin.
>>
File: 1232255683375.jpg (116KB, 634x800px) Image search: [Google]
1232255683375.jpg
116KB, 634x800px
>>50434196
This is pretty fun!
Black
>The latest character sheet thread included a sliding scale for ____ and a series of checkboxes for ____.
>New meta: ____-proficient Aarakocra bard.
>____ General: where we talk about ____.
>>
>>50434196
White
>An Elf-gina full of spiders
>The sound of Zombies, which attracts more zombies
>SNEAK ATTACK!!!
>A Dreadnought riding a Lemann Russ like a skateboard.
>/tg/'s love-hate relationship with Monstergirls.
>>
>>50434196
White:
>owlbears
(or a snippet of the statblock)
>pissy trees as far as the eye can see
>stepping on a d4
>cheeto fingers
>a herd of slovenly obese neckbeards
>Kender
>rolling for anal circumference
>the ominous sounds of an incoming train
>a bag of holding
>several thousand dollars' worth of Magic: the Gathering cards
>>
White
>An arousing cry of "Take the Knot!"
>200 Pigeons
>"Ello, Name's Chris Orksen, Why Don'cha Haz a Seat?"

Requesting Dungeon Meshi Cards. We could do loads with stuff like
>Eating a meal prepared by the Dwarf you just met in this dungeon.
>>
File: powerman.png (713KB, 1593x5000px) Image search: [Google]
powerman.png
713KB, 1593x5000px
>>50434196
Black
> Katanas are thrice as sharp as _____ and thrice as hard for that matter too.
>The sphinx changed her riddle. The new answer is "_____"
White
>Power-Man
>filename threads
>That Guy

>>50434773
Neat idea, though I prefer less catgirl sphinxes. Hopefully mods won't nuke for vore.
>>
>>50434251
I'll add a note to the OP directing them towards /bbg/. Consider yourself advertised by the Friendly Virtual Game Store.

So. Based on the way this thread has shaped up, here's how I'm thinking the weekly thread will work:

Thread name is Virtual /tg/, but the link is /fvgs/

1. OP advertises a bunch of resources. For players. If that list gets too long, I move that to a PDF that becomes the OP file from then on, and then mainly advertise on games that are being run or could be run, such as

2. Advertising for pickup games is encouraged, especially since most if not all of these resources have spectator modes. It'd be the equivalent of walking into your store and watching someone.

3. Thread is unnofficially the off-topic discussion thread for /tg/, including meta discussion for those trying to make the board a better place. This will be the only time I mention this.

4. Once a month we host a lightweight MTG tourney through XMage. It's going to be Commander, because that's the best way to keep it a friendly affair.

Sound good?
>>
White
>The adorable abomination that is a Human-Eldar hybrid

>>50435300
>An Elvish mage dressed up in a frog suit.
>The Stern gaze of an adorable Elf-mage
>The chance to gently stroke Marcille's ears.
>Killing and eating the dragon that ate your sister in revenge.
>The Dwarf's adamanting cooking pan

Fuck. All I've got are adorable elf ones.
>>
>>50430126
>off-site wiki
1d4chan
>>
File: 1407533095192.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1407533095192.webm
2MB, 640x480px
Speaking of problems with /tg/, there's something like 17 40K threads, including 4 generals.

>>50435664
>1
Looks good.
>2
Sounds similar to what I imagine Game Finder to be, isn't it? Otherwise sounds good.
>3
No. Meta discussion, sure, but offtopic should be confined to offboard as much as possible. Shit like "oh, we'll just have one containment thread" is why /pol/ loves /v/ so much - LOL threads never stayed in just one thread.
>4
Seems tough to manage, but go for it I guess.

>>50436045
I think they mean for virtual/tg/ stuff, but yeah, there could be a 1d4chan page/category for it.
>>
>>50436045
This would actually be a pretty good method of giving the Wiki some use again. Might even get people to start updating the whole wiki and keep things current.
>>
>>50436085

Game Finder is generally for people looking to host/joining serious campaigns. This is more casual, like walking into the FLGS, pulling out your Commander, and asking if anyone is down for a pickup game.

Alright. Meta Discussion only. Again, This will be the only time I mention this, because we need to keep the thread mostly /tg/ related.

A simple Bracket tournament is easy enough to handle.

Also, Could I get a roll call on people who would be interested in helping maintain this thread as a weekly thing? It shouldn't be too hard. Just searching for resources for the OP, and someone

Also, although it's a little too much to hope for, if there's any Janitors here that approve of the thread, it wouldn't hurt to have someone with a little authority frequent it. No need to reply(That would violate your agreement to anonymity) Just thought I'd ask.
>>
>>50436288
>Also, Could I get a roll call on people who would be interested in helping maintain this thread as a weekly thing? It shouldn't be too hard. Just searching for resources for the OP, and someone
Sorry, sentence fragment. what I meant to ask was could someone post the thread if I happen to be unable to.
>>
File: image.jpg (101KB, 720x536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 720x536px
>>50427095
If we're stockpiling things people on /tg/ can do, what about games that /tg/ could roleplay on? Like, make a guild on some game for /tg/, and just make a rule that you have to be in-character?

Alternatively, /tg/ likes to have an occasional thread about forum roleplaying, which normally turns into *teleports behind u* bullshit, but we could maybe put one together with some ground rules and make one that works. It's not a game proper, but it's at least a chance for /tg/ to roleplay.

Pic unrelated, but it's funny and pictures grab attention.
>>
>>50427621
I will if you do it first.
>>
>>50436478
Getting more people into MUDS would help with the Teleport shit. Hell, we could start our own, with worldbuilding and shit. Sorry if I sound like a shill for MUDS, I'm a CS major at college and it just bugs me how lacking /tg/ is in this department when it seems up their alley

Running a Discord chat server RP is also an option. Probably a very simple system like contested d100 + mods for PvP, and d100 roll under stat*5 for anything else. Give a couple of people permission to create and archive channels and set permissions, and you could treat channels as different locations, having ones that are invite-only to represent Guilds and Factions.

I would be willing to advertise such a thing on the OP, if someone made it.
>>
>>50429467
VASSAL is terrible for wargaming. Board games are fine, but wargames not so much.
>>
>>50436727
Truth be told, I'm not sure what the difference is between forums and MUDs. Is it just a difference in programming or something?

I'm not so sure about a discord server though. In my experience, a discord server will either have almost no activity and just become deserted after a while, or it'll do the opposite and turn into a huge circlejerk where the same group of people post often and certain ideas are pushed with a stigma against others.
>>
>>50436824
Probably, but it's free and includes the rulesets for most popular Wargames as it is. If there's someone who's desperate for a game, I'm sure they'd put up with a bad interface. Besides, this thread is mainly about showing people that there are opportunities out there for gaming.

Actually, I may have found another option. It's still in development, but it's in 3D, supports importing of custom models and environments, and comes with Multiplayer and Dice:

http://battlebox3d.com/
>>
>>50436874
MUDS are basically IRC forums. It's best to think of them as text-based MMO's more than anything else. Interacting with the world consists of you typing "Pick Up Stick" into the chat, then the AI responds. From there it advances into a Final Fantasy-esque battle system, then there's Roleplay through chat.
>>
>>50431272
Is this a sentiment that is echoed by the general population of /tg/?

I understand the thread, but I usually come here to discuss, not play, traditional games.
>>
File: 1442579530176.jpg (91KB, 525x422px) Image search: [Google]
1442579530176.jpg
91KB, 525x422px
Speaking of MUDs, anyone have suggestions for a decent fantasy one for people new to MUDs?

Pic unrelated, I just like tiny dragons. Lookit how serious he is about protecting his comfy jingly hoard.
>>
>>50437357
Seconding this. MUDs look fun but no idea how the fuck to get into one.

That also sounds like a really fun treasure. Players pick up a bag of gold only to get bit as they reach in. They now have an adorable pet/party mascot.
>>
>>50437250
During the climax of the Quest Removal there was a poll to see how many people cared about Quests or not.

The results showed that the people who were anti-Quest represented roughly 35% of the board. The rest didn't care or were Pro-Quest. Take that as you will.

From what I've gleaned of /tg/ politics, those numbers re-occur throughought most /tg/ projects related to content creation, including, but not limited to the Winter Ball, Writing, Homebrew, etc.

It's basically a vocal minority that has enough weight to push things around, mostly due to the main voices being people who are able to browse 4chan throughout the day. Every wonder why Daytime /tg/ tends to be more cynical outside of the Generals? That's why.
>>
>>50437472
>>50437489
Here's a pretty good "Jump Right into it" tutorial:
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud_intro.html
>>
>>50437527
>>50437357
>>
>>50429199
>blueprint-style map maker
Nice, perfect for sci-fi. I'll get some immediate use out of this one.

Thanks, anon.
>>
>>50437489
To be fair, just because only 35% were against quests, doesn't mean that more were in favor of quests. And if it's a anti-pro-neutral ratio of, say, 7:1:12, that would still be a wide majority of the people who care.
You could apply similar things to other niche-ish issues: "Should this 40K sub-general split into two? After asking /tg/ as a whole, we found that 70% did not give half a shit, 29% wanted a split, and 1% did not want a split. Since 29 is less than 50, it's not gonna happen."
>>
>>50437605
I'm a little fuzzy on the numbers. I believe they were somewhere between 44-58%
>>
Alright, first game request of the thread. Who's available for an MTG Commander match? I can play over Cockatrice or XMage, and I'll post a link for spectators as well as upload the replays if anyone is interested.

Preferably against a non-blue/permission deck, as it's an RG deck I'm testing out that I haven't tweaked for Removal or Counters yet.
>>
>>50437579
That reminds me. Should this thread be all-inclusive when it comes to digital /tg/ resources, or should it focus on resources to get you gaming?
>>
>>50437853
It should definitely focus primarily on getting people gaming, but there's no harm in including resources for people who want to enrich/expand their tastes. Definitely mentioned after, or with less space, than the starter stuff, though.
>>
>>50429971
Generals are the worst thing to happen to this site.
>>
>>50431301
When people compare quests to no quests, they're comparing to how things were before quests and assuming that correlation equals causation.
>>
>>50434196
>let's see if we can come up with a /tg/ CAH deck
Haven't we already done this like three times?
>>
>>50434305
>>50434537
Yeah, phoneposting is short posts, more oriented towards quick opinions than thought-out content production, and also shit like incorrectly auto-corrected words (and the "it was just auto-correct so it's fine" mindset) all of which is directly opposite to the notion of taking the time to make quality posts.
>>
>>50438324
Maybe, but they're too integrated into the system for us to remove them. We've seen what happened with /vg/, it's not a good thing. We'd basically lobotomize the community. Getting rid of Generals wouldn't make everyone all start posting on the other threads, they'd just move somewhere else. All we'd have done was remove the people who were actually capable of coherent or meaningful discussion, and given even more room for the trolls and the Shitposters.

No, our goal isn't to get rid of Generals, it's to get people to venture out of them more, make discussion less dependant on them.
>>
>>50438505
Generalposters aren't necessarily having coherent meaningful discussions, though. They're mostly having cancerous circlejerks due to small poster pool. The people who would leave due to lack of that aren't worth keeping. Periodic discussion about games when you've got something to talk about is great, but as it is, it dies in generals.

The real benefit to generals isn't that it's a breeding ground for good posters, because it's not really, but that it keeps games alive that otherwise have too small a userbase to have interest.
>>
>>50427617
Think of it this way my man: $20 for every board game ever made, playable worldwide. Try to get it on sale.
>>
>>50436091
I have a suggestion: How-to's for newbs. Quick guides on how to make quality posts.

For example, Setting/Chapter/regiment creation threads. As far as Content goes, they're not too bad a thing to have, and they have some interesting results at times. The problem is that the posters set up resolution methods that bring the design process, and the thread, to a screeching halt. "First one to get Dubs is true" methods are tedious, and keep the thread from adding the next piece to the puzzle. Same with vote by post methods.

If you want content to move forward, you either take First to post or highest roll, or something where an answer is had within the first three suggestions, and you're able to move on to the next step.

For settings, First 10 items to post become true, with dubs/trips overriding previous statements.

Tips like that.
>>
>>50436311
I have maintained other threads, mostly britbongsteros and things like the C&H Pepsi thread.
Once there is a rhythm to it, I'd post it if you did not.
>>
>>50436727
Take a look at Deku source code sometime. It's in straight up C running D&D mechanics behind the scenes. We've come a long way.
>>
>>50438692
The problem with it is that it really only works if everyone has it. Honestly, yeah, it's probably the best tool to achieve what we're going for here, but the fact that it doesn't let you do multilayer without multiple copies is a huge roadblock. Thus why Vassal and BattleBox3d are the first suggestions. Paid options will also be included, but will never be the first suggestion.
>>
>>50438769
Sounds good. I'm still trying to decide whether this should be a weekly thread, a twice-weekly thread, or a constant thread that is re-posted once the first one hits page 10.
>>
File: coin_dragon.jpg (351KB, 600x1682px) Image search: [Google]
coin_dragon.jpg
351KB, 600x1682px
>>50437357

>>50438637
Yeah, for all that 4chan likes to pretend we're better than reddit and tumblr, the userbase is remarkably susceptible to thinking common vocabulary indicates what site they use.
Admittedly, that works for certain words - anyone who uses "writefag" has probably at least spent time reading 4chan threads, and an "automod" out of nowhere points out someone familiar with reddit - but not so for others (copypasta, troll, bait, discord, toxic, snek, OP, weeb etc. have no signature site anymore).

>>50438903
Go with weekly, maybe 2/wk if the board or thread speeds up too much. Avoid multiple threads alive (even dying) at once.
>>
>>50438784
Starting our own MUD might not be that hard either. We get a couple dozen pre-fabricated quests and world elements, then a couple of /tg/ coders can slowly expand on it, make it our own. I mean, MUD servers aren't that resource intensive. We could use the Amazon free server option and spin up the Host on it no problem.
>>
>>50439006
Gotcha. This thread went pretty fast though, and will probably hit bump limit by tonight. I'll probably put another one up on Wednesday, this time with a more purposeful OP.
>>
File: 1363643826335.jpg (102KB, 538x800px) Image search: [Google]
1363643826335.jpg
102KB, 538x800px
>>50438903
I'd say start by having it be fairly regular at least until the content and idea of the threads is settled on, but scale back if there's not much discussion/circlejerking.

This is a really great idea. There really is too much discussion and not enough gaming going on and this would be really helpful.

>>50439071
This could work, but I doubt we could seriously find a group of coders to make a whole game for us. It would likely be better to make a list of /tg/ approved MUDs that already exist. /v/ has groups and guilds for online games so doing the same for MUDs for /tg/ would be a good idea I think.
>>
>>50439071
I'm a web dev with mostly php and javascript experience. If this gets going, I might drop in every once in a while to help.

Though I still have another /tg/-started project I want to actually finish, so I wont make any big commitments.
>>
>>50439191
>>50439220

True. A /tg/ guild is probably a better idea for a start. Get the ball rolling on /tg/ playing MUDS first before we start building them. It also sounds like it could generate some interesting stories. Better draft a Writefag into the team just in case. I'll be working on this and other things though, so I'll be unable to get such a group started.

Also a bunch of Fa/tg/uys running amok in Discworld sounds like it could be amazing.
>>
File: de profundis.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
de profundis.pdf
1B, 486x500px
OK, now this will sound crazy, but what about... Mailing group? PDF very much related, it's a game about writing in-character letters to each other about how we interpret our daily lives through the lense of Lovecraftian Mythos. Weird as fuck, yes, but there's some potential that won't turn into *teleports behind u* tripe.
>>
>>50439426
That reminds me, there's also this for Play by Mail gaming:

http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/descript.html

It's basically a Chess By Mail program, but for Board and Wargames.
>>
>>50439337
>Better draft a Writefag into the team just in case.
Not to toot my own horn, but I am a better writer than an artist, and I drawfag pretty regularly.
And I am fully committed to a better /tg/.
Sunk Cost Fallacy in full force, damn it!
>>
>>50439337
>>50439551
I'd also be up for writing some background stuff or Dark Souls-like lore snippets. I'm afraid my English isn't good enough for full-on prose. Not that I'm that great in my native language anyway.
>>
File: 1355686130006.png (329KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
1355686130006.png
329KB, 500x361px
>>50439426
Huh, that's an interesting concept. I didn't know that playing by mail was still a thing. I'm not sure who all would be interested in something like this, but 10/10 for creativity.

>>50439551
It's good to know we have brave, dedicated men like you on /tg/.
>>
>>50439596
Your presence is always welcome here, and the board as a whole. /tg/ needs more writers.

Now, there's the question of someone who's willing to manage the guild. Does anyone dare take up the mantle of Guild leader? Which courageous soul dares lead a band of wayward souls forward, whether it be to death or glory?
>>
>>50439612
>I didn't know that playing by mail was still a thing
I haven't seen it for tabletop, but then, you wouldn't. It's used for Dominions 4, which is vidya but old people style.
>>
>>50439694
Wouldn't we have to decide on an actual game before anything else? Something good for newfags who've never touch a MUD before. I am one of said newfags so I have nothing to suggest unfortunately.
>>
>>50439596
>I'm afraid my English isn't good enough for full-on prose. Not that I'm that great in my native language anyway
Feel free to write what you will.
If you like, we can offer suggestions as we go.
>>
Alright. I have a question. A while back there was a thread. To be honest it was a bait thread, but somewhere in the course of thst thread we got to talking about love and krieg. General consensus was that it was fundamentally flawed (personally I enjoy it. It's not perfect but it's fun, I'm just reporting what people said). An anon proposed that if we didn't like it tg get stuff done and write something better. It kinda fired my imagination, and I've been working on a love and krieg 2.0. Not a replacement or a rewrite, just a different take on the concept that would be more serious and true to lore. I've been debating posting it, I'm kind of afraid too. Either way I'm not quite ready yet, ideally I would like to have a bit more written before I started posting it, but I figured I should test the waters first. Would this be content you as representatives of tg would be interested in, or would it be unwelcome? If you are all interested I will commit to it.
>>
>>50439612
>I didn't know that playing by mail was still a thing.
>>50439426
>Mailing group?
I would be very interested in such a thing.
I've been looking for a good old-school Play By Post game to get into with my dad.
(For him It has to be historical. Anything "magic" turns it into literal "silly-billy" time.)
>>
>>50439808
Options that pop up with a quick google search actually says that Discworld is one of the most newb friendly, complete with a guide:
http://www.herebefootnotes.net/MUD/pumpkintown/index.htm

One of the ones from here:
http://www.ironrealms.com/

BatMUD
https://www.bat.org/

I'm biased towards Discworld though, so don't take just my input.

Here's a huge MUD database:
http://www.mudconnect.com/

>>50439903
Post it. Look, even if it's not that great, it's new. It's something to talk about. Think of /tg/ as a gauntlet. If you can manage to please these salty neckbeards, you've really made something special. Also Krieg-fu sounds adorable.
>>
>>50440018
>>50439903
I am not a motivational speaker by any means though. The point is, I would be very interested in it. Do it, and post it in your own thread. You should do it soon, as /tg/ is about to hit peak traffic in around 40 minutes.
>>
>that moment you wouldn't have got into tabletop shit if it weren't for /tg/ and real life friends

The DnD stories, the generals, the quests, the all helped me get into this new hobby that I love.

Thanks /tg/.
>>
>>50439903
I am welcome to it and would fight to the death defending your right to post it.
But two things you need to know:
Someone will tell you it's shit and your mother should have aborted you to prevent you from writing it.
He almost certainly will be a shitposting asshat.
But if your creation is terrible, we will tell you why & give you tips.

Second, I have no idea what you are talking about, but I suspect romantic WH40K.
Which is infinitely better than pomantic cthullu.
>>
>>50440097
>romantic WH40K
>pomantic cthullu

Eh, they're almost the same thing at times. Anybody remember Heretical Love Quest?
>>
>>50429497
Don't forget spear vs sword
>>
>>50440209
Dwarf vs. Elf
Half-Orc vs. Half-Elf
Martial vs. Caster
Edition Wars
Everything vs. D&D
MTG format wars(Actually it's all mostly banter)

Welcome to /tg/, AKA Skubhaven
>>
This thread has me thinking--with all the stuff people are wanting to do in this thread, and with how we all want to involve each other, we could have a 'zine-type thing going on. Like, a monthly thread of all the rad shit people are doing, resources, Q & A, maybe with an accompanying PDF or something?
It'd pretty much be this type of thread, with the PDF being a sort of ad-hoc gaming mag adding a bit of persistence. Wouldn't even need to be well produced, it could just be a directory to images, pastebins, google docs, and fair descriptions. Updates on what people are doing, things people have made, who wants playtesters, list of open groups. Especially if PBEM stuff like >>50439426 takes off, as it seems to be.

Might be too organized to suit /tg/, we're a pretty capricious bunch in the end. I can definitely see it having a stodgy feel to it compared to the blast of raw anonymous information big threads usually are.

>>50439426
I'd be down for that! Maybe we could play Lexicon?
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Lexicon
>>
>>50440281
How about a Discord instead, people can give me quick message updates on their projects, and I include that in the OP of this thread.
>>
>>50440050

Like I said I'm not quite ready yet. I'd like to have a bit more written before I start posting, cause I feel like the quality is better if I've taken time to prepare in advance rather than scrabbling to write as I go. That and class is about to start, so I don't really have time today. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, I didn't mean to say I was gonna start posting, I was just seeing if it would be worth it and commiting to doing it in the future. Probably later this week, or early next week.
>>
>>50440281
>we could have a 'zine-type thing going on.
If y'all do 95% of the work contributing, I'll do the other 5% by compiling it.
Pic related
>>
>>50440395
>>50440433
You do that with the discord thing and I'll include it in the OP.
>>
>>50440424
Good luck to you then. I'm looking forward to it.
>>
>>50440395
>>50440515
>>50440433
That works too. Plus it has the added benefit of big enough projects getting their own text channel for their own little threads of persistence among people on the project.

I'd still be a little worried that centralizing it puts too many eggs in one basket--but it's not like it's leaning only on the discord. It's more being paranoid because 4chan discords have a habit of being consumed with internet drama or evaporating from the owners disappearing.
>>
>>50440433
Either your PDF is borked or my browser is.

Anyone else having an issue with it?
>>
Ok, to get this thread back on track, as it were.

1. we're still looking for a decent free Wargaming tool. BattleBox3d may work, but we need people to test it out.

2. We're recruiting for a MUD guild, and need to decide on which MUD to use.

3. Writing and posting your writing is encouraged.

4. We might do an information dump magazine thing. Cool stuff.

>>50440650
Don't use it to discuss. Use it to keep in touch and get all "articles," but otherwise don't spend much time on it. MUD guild may be an exception though, as they may need to communicate for quests and raids while playing.

>>50440710
Working fine for me.
>>
>>50440756
What should I use for the OP image of this thread?
>>
>>50440795
Since MUD discussion is on the menu what about an exciting scene of two pixels bumping into each other surrounded by a wall of text? In all seriousness, having a game image would be different and make the thread more noticeable than a generic fantasy image, but otherwise I can't think of much outside of a generic fantasy image.

I don't suppose this would work?
>>
File: images (10).jpg (3KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (10).jpg
3KB, 225x225px
>>50440913
I was originally thinking something like this but with text overlay of "Virtual /tg/". However, that PDF is looking more and more necessary, so I'm going to need something more static
>>
>>50440987
Or this.
>>
>>50440987
Cool image, simple, I like it. My only question is why "Virtual /tg/"? It's not bad, but it reminds me of virtual reality and you're suggesting "virtual tg" as opposed to "real tg." Would "Online /tg" make more sense? Just a thought.
>>
>>50440987
>>50441057
Wait, actually looks like this. Thought I should share because exploding d20's are usually impractical.

"Friendly Virtual Game Store" had a better ring to it, as did Virtual /tg/. I'm actually not sure what I should call this thread.
>>
File: download.png (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
13KB, 225x225px
>>50441001
>>50440987
>>50441057
Decide on a name and a rough design and I got you mang.
>>
>>50441090

Maybe call it "playing /tg/" , or something like that, since the point seems to be helping people play.
>>
>>50441090
"Virtual Local Game Store" probably sounds more like what you're going for, A place for people to pop in, play games, comfy, friendly atmosphere for gaming and content creation.
/vlgs/
>>
>>50441090
Notta store

Friendly Local Gaming Shite?
>>
>>50441128
Ok, this. I like this better.

Ok, main goals:

1. Get more people on /tg/ playing games.

2. Have a good local community in the thread.

3. Get shit done, like guilds, tourneys, writing, etc.

>>50441161
>>50441175

Definitely want to keep Friendly and Gaming in.

Friendly Virtual Gaming Space?
>>
>>50441230
>Friendly Virtual Gaming Space?
I like it. That or "Friendly Virtual Gaming Club".
>>
>>50441230
I like it. Space makes the most sense. And keeping friendly in is good. Seems clear for anyone browsing the catalog. It gets my vote.
>>
>>50441269
Nah, calling it a "club" makes it seem too exclusive. I can already tell that this kind of thread will attract Shitposters that will call this a Hugbox Circlejerk, like that one guy in the Winter Ball thread. No need to fuel the fire.
>>
>>50441230
>Friendly Virtual Gaming Space
I like it.
It opens us up for an attack by those "hypersensitive" to the term "safe-space", but fuck those turd-burgling-homophobic-assholes.
>>
>>50441368
Safe spaces are literally just apartheid clubs.
>>
>>50427328
Night Shift has suffered from "everything is a rulebook" syndrome.

It would be 100x better as a board game.
>>
>>50441368
>>50441275
>>50441269

Alright, so it's settled. Would the Art Anon kindly work his magic and whip us up a retro OP that would make /vr/ jealous?

Next order of business. The Guild. We need members interested, and we especially need someone willing to be Guild Leader.

We could recruit from /vr/, I'm pretty sure we could find someone there willing to lead, if not a few players.
>>
>>50441394
>>50441368
>>50441316
>>50441269

What if we replaced the word space with "opportunities" or just plain old "thread"

"Friendly virtual gaming opportunities"

"Friendly virtual gaming thread"

How bout it? Might draw less pol shitposters.
>>
>>50441394
I'm not saying that the imagery doesn't support your statement, but fuck you.
Kids need to know that, as a lost 14 year old girl, the supermarket is safer than "Uncle Touchy's Fondle Basement and Vinyl Emporium."
>>
>>50441534
>>50441522
I ammend my statement. Yeah, thread is probably best.
>>
>>50441522
Is /vr/ really what we're going for? It's more /tg/ than game related in my opinion. And I still say we need a game before we start electing positions. Hell, we need to see if there's interest and these threads can live without life support first.
>>
>>50441522
>Would the Art Anon kindly work his magic and whip us up a retro OP that would make /vr/ jealous?
Can do.
Just decide on a name and I will deliver Thursday morning. For reasons.
>>
>>50441633
Thursday? I was planning on getting the next thread up Wednesday. I'll just use the exploding D20 gif though.

>>50441632
Ah, yeah. I was just thinking that this would be something /vr/ would have in common with us. If anyone who has experience with MUDs has a suggestion for it, I'm all ears.

I would say Discworld, because it seems the most newb friendly, and isn't so serious that it would narrow the audience. Also, it's fucking Discworld! It's ridiculous, fun, and oddly wise at times. Pratchett is one of the board's most beloved authors. It'll have a pretty wide appeal on /tg/.
>>
>>50441633
Oh, be sure to make it Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread, not Space.
>>
>>50427328
This would be awesome, there certainly hadn't been enough development of this yet.
>>
>>50441855
>Friendly Virtual Gaming Thread
Got it.

>>50441782
Sorry, Thursday is the soonest I can deliver quality results.

Is a general 80's 8-bit game design okay?
Whatever you like is fine by me.
But you should know I've spent over 6 weeks trying to perfectly replicate a game artist's style.
Cheap copy is quick and easy though.
I just gotta know the style.
But I can improv too.
>>
>>50427328
>>50441518
>>50441874
OP here, I have some time. I can take a look at it and find a light-weight system that could be adapted to it. One Page Cthulhu with some added mechanics might work, or a CoC - lite system of some sort. I can at least get a system up and running that will handle it, allowing more development for it.

Otherwise you might ask the anon with coding experience if he could turn it into a Vassal board game.

>>50441971
General theme is /tg/, but virtual, and comfy. Go nuts with whatever you want.
>>
File: 1454264515926.png (46KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1454264515926.png
46KB, 557x605px
>>50441971
>>50442037
>Thread trying to have /tg/ get shit done
>/tg/ gets shit done
Feels good
>>
>>50442037
I was thinking a Sanity and Boredom system. They both work like traditional Sanity does, except they are inverse to each other. More bored you are, the more sane you are. Get too bored though...
>>
So I've been reading the rules to Technoir--a system for hardboiled adventures in cyberpunk settings--and I'm really digging it.
One thing I especially like is "transmissions", which are ways to package settings so they outline NPCs, factions, objects, threats, and big events that can happen, as well as the general ethos of a setting. It's a strong way to let people immediately romp through with little preparation and still have things feel connected.

Let's make a Transmission. What's the seed of this setting, what are the big players, and where are the main sources of underclass desperation?

I'm thinking a colony on another planet, or a space station. Relatively spartan and space is going to be at a premium outside of a plush arcology populated by the super-wealthy.
>>
>>50442132
Shoulda posted this to go along with it--here's an example of what a Transmission looks like from their website.

You can also get free player rules there, if anybody is interested.
>>
>>50442113
So... let's talk about game mechanics. My favorite.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Cthulhu_Dark
With a few minor modifications this can run Night Shift with little to no trouble, but it will be on the sparse side.

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm
Risus with a few fear and sanity mechanics will also run it. Again, on the sparse side.

And the third option, slightly more complex:
Cannibalize a WOD hack of CoC, replace the d10 dice pool with a d6 dicepool(to make it more accessible), require multiple successes over modifying the dicepool(making rolls exponentially harder), gut the mechanics and simplify the stats, but keep integral rules to keep it realistic.

Thoughts?
>>
>>50443217
Also available as options are Dead of Night annd Don't Rest Your Head.

Dead of Night looks like the most usable in this scenario. Statting things out would take time though.

Don't Rest Your Head... well, it'd make for one hell of a game, don't you think?
>>
>>50436085
source?
>>
>>50443793
That, my friend, is a 3D hentai animation of one of the series many consider to be the archetype of the Slice of Life Comedy Romance Harem Genre with a clumsy protagonist, superpowered love interests, and general suck. It's one of the ultimate tease series that can't end because that would mean he's chosen a girl, and he can't choose a girl because then the series will end.

Fucking To-Love-Ru.
>>
>>50442152
>>50442132
What Dice does this system use? d6? d10?

Looks interesting. Where do we start?
>>
>>50444247
Looks like d6.
>>
>>50443860
Anon, there's no fucking in To-Love-Ru
>>
Ok, So I've decided that Night Shift will probably most enjoyable using a modified version of Don't Rest Your Head. Dead of Night might have technically worked better, but only as a more serious version of the game. I like the idea of things being a little more Surreal with DRYH. Any objections?
>>
>>50444247
>>50442132 here--sorry, I ended up unexpectedly busy for a while.
Here's the player guide. It has a breakdown of the dice mechanic on page 14, but it's kind of terse and is meant to accompany more wrangling from a GM.

You have a pool based on your rating with a Verb, a type of action--like Fight, or Prowl--and you can add Push dice if you have helpful objects, tags, or Adjectives.
But, you also add Hurt dice based off of negative Adjectives. Roll the pool, and results on Hurt dice cancel out all matching dice in the rest of the pool. If you roll a 6 on one hurt die it would cancel out all the 6s on all the good dice. The highest remaining number is the Result.
After this you discharge the Push dice you used (which is different than "spending" them). A Discharged die is basically on cooldown for a bit.

It's not an opposed roll, though--it's against a Reaction. If you're reacting you start with the rating of the Verb you're reacting with, and you can discharge a push die for each positive adjective/object/tag, adding 1 to your rating for each discharged push die. Higher number wins, defender wins ties.
Based on the result, as well as what Verbs and Adjectives are used, you know how to narrate stuff.

The permanence of inflicted adjectives is "fleeting" by default, lasting only the rest of the scene, but you can spend a Push die to up it to "sticky", or two to make it "locked'--and a locked adjective is nearly permanent.
But, when a player *spends* a push die, it goes to the GM, and vice versa. If you spend push die to curb-stomp a few people suddenly your antagonists have a lot more dice to discharge on rolls and your life gets a lot less comfortable.
>>
>>50446108
Huh, looks like one of those systems that's supposed to be intuitive once you learn it.
>>
>>50446108
>>50444247
So let's say some razorgirl tries to cut you up as you come out of a diner because you're sticking your nose where it might not belong.
She starts with 3 in his Fight, plus the GM adds a Push die for her cyberarms' "claws" tag. Her result: 4. The GM then discharges the spent Push die.
You decide your PI goes to dodge, so you start with your Move rating of 2. You discharge 2 push die, one for your cyber-eye's thermoptic sight and one for your character's Observant adjective from character creation. Your total is 4--and because it's a tie, you narrowly escape a Glasgow smile. And because of what was used, we know how to narrate it.

>Hammett steps out of the diner, game to beat the pavement over to his next lead after the little talk he had with someone in that private little booth away from the window. But something's off. It's too still for this city. He strains his ears and catches something--the soft click of razorware locking into place, a steady exhale of a predator about to strike. He keys his synthetic eye, scanning up and down the street, and turns at just the last second, seeing the orange-and-yellow of someone dashing at him from what would have only been darkness to someone all flesh and blood. He rolls low, away into the street, and feels 'whiff' as she strikes where his face was mere seconds before.

But yeah, those are the mechanics.

Transmissions, though, are a bit outside of that. It's kind of a reference directory for what makes up a setting--the important people and places, the sorts of struggles and exposition to expect. It's what a GM uses to run the world and make people connected to it.
>>
>>50446260
Huh. Narrative induced combat dice pools. Neat.
>>
>>50431320
>>50431312
How I always thought that was spelled as Tracking. Learned something I didn't previously know about my own religion today. even if it was a tiny spelling thing.
>>
>>50446260
>>50446108
So, how does the setting creation work?
>>
>>50446108
Seems interesting, although it looks like there's easy motivation to take a "GM vs Player" attitude, which rarely turns out well.
>>
>>50446102
The more I look at it the more I'm liking this idea. There's plenty of parallels between the Night Shift Life Goals and DRYH Awakening. A few flavor changes to the character creation, a general re-fluffing of the mechanics, and it's all good to go.
>>
File: Plot Nodes.png (129KB, 607x938px) Image search: [Google]
Plot Nodes.png
129KB, 607x938px
>>50446396
Creating a transmission is mostly just filling in blanks. If you look at the PDF in >>50442152, you see what a finished one looks like.

It's got its "Exposition"--describing the Environment, Technology, and Society at this place and time and setting the stage for the players.

It also has six Contacts, Events, Factions, Locations, Objects, and Threats.
The players use those contacts to work their way through the plot, find leads, or barter favors--picking a few at character creation and setting the tone of the relationship and how they know each other.

The GM uses that d6-by-d6 table, and Lead tables for each contact, that point them to the rest of the setting and help mapping out the plot.
By populating that d6-by-d6 table you're pretty much done making the setting, but you still need to stat stuff out.
Contacts are usually built the same way as player characters (18 pips between their verbs, 3 adjectives) , but some exceptional ones might be built like a Heavy.
Threats are made up of two Heavies with 21 pips and four adjectives, and 0 to 4 henchmen who have 18 pips and 1 adjective.
>>
>>50446812
I feel like this may deserve its own thread.
>>
>>50446838
You might be right about that. I think I'll leave that for tomorrow when I have more time because I have work in the morning.
>>
Spyfall is one of my big go-to party games. Easy, fun intro to RPing with friends. Great way to gauge who'd be down for some real /tg/ shit.
>>
Seeing all this /tg/ gets shit done makes me want to ask the following question (I know ill get flak for it but eh): Would anyone want to help develop a dark-souls-esque rpg system?
I've had it in my mind for a while. I know how much /tg/ has been shitting on homebrews but its a concept I've seen many people ask about before and I figured someone should try to do something about it.
Just a thought.
>>
File: 1407034149.jpg (226KB, 1280x1006px) Image search: [Google]
1407034149.jpg
226KB, 1280x1006px
>>50448730
Not to shit on your homebrew (I've been trying to think of how to make an Overwatch-based one, myself), but it sounds like it'd be a pretty monotonous system. What would there be for non-casters aside from attacks, rolls, blocks, and parries? And how would you simulate the ever-so-necessary concept of timing your attacks and rolls to avoid enemy attacks while striking as they recover? The only thing I can think of for that one is essentially a bonus-damage AoO on enemy miss as you backstab/strong attack.
>>
>>50449571
>>50448730
An Overwatch Skirmish Wargame would be cool.

As for a Dark Souls combat RPG... I might suggest Blade of the Iron Throne, the official successor to the Riddle of Steel RPG.
http://www.ironthronepub.com/
>>
>>50449571
>No adult art allowed
Is this a challenge?
>>
>>50449773
Don't.

>>50449735
Here's a summary of combat, using d12 dicepool:

>You don't roll an attack roll, then roll damage. You declare an attack type (thrust, bash, cleave, master strike, murder-stroke, beat, etc), choose where you're attacking (thrust to the face, cleave to the shoulder, master strike to the stomach, etc), and your opponent chooses a defense (block, parry, evade, counter, block open, etc).

>Then you roll and see what happens. If you hit, you deal damage depending on the zone and level of success. If you miss (or are blocked, parried, etc), then your opponent takes the aggressive and attacks.

>Wounds are also detailed. They deal several effects:

>Blood Loss represents, well, blood loss. You check each round to see if you fall unconscious or die from blood loss.
Shock represents the mental shock of being struck. On your next exchange, you lose some of your dice pool as a result of shock.
>Pain is the pain from the wound itself. Every turn after the first, you lose dice from your pool. Pain is healed very slowly.
>There are no hit points. Each wound causes shock, pain, and/or blood loss. If these drop your dice pool to 0, you obviously can't defend yourself and are likely dead.

It's a Sword and Sorcery system, so magic also exists, but it's of the mystical Scryinh and foretelling of the future type, then scales up to summoning demons. Also magic can and will hurt/corrupt you on botched rolls.

Basically it's the answer to the Martial vs. Caster argument that's been going around.
>>
>/tg/ playing games
>encouraging discussion of writing, homebrew, and Art
>Serious answer to a Dark Souls RPG
>/tg/ actually getting shit done

WHAT IS THIS PLACE?!
and how do I join?
>>
File: 1457207705179-0.png (2MB, 1280x1189px) Image search: [Google]
1457207705179-0.png
2MB, 1280x1189px
>>50449773
From seeing their stuff (pic related), they seem to have an... interesting view of what "adult art" means.

>>50449571
>>50449735
OW would be an interesting thing to try. I could see stuff like turn-based ability cooldowns (ults charging from damage as well as turns ofc), the game already has a neat health/armor/shield mechanic, and it might only use an accuracy roll (score to beat increases over distance, inverted for snipers) instead of attack+damage: single-fire characters have a normal crit range within their success range, splash characters hit a square or two away on a low roll, burst characters have more of a damage range, signifying how many of their shots hit and crit (so it's easier for Tracer to do damage than McCree, but easier for McCree to get max damage).
The main issue I see is height. Aside from that, though, you could have, say, Genji statted as
HP: 20 health
Attack 1: 3 attacks, 3 damage each, single target. Can crit.
Attack 2: 1 attack in a cone, can hit 3 targets, 3 damage each. Can crit.
Swift Strike: 5 damage, ?? cooldown (resets on kill). Genji moves 3 squares in a line, hitting all enemies passed through.
Deflect: lasts ?? turns, ?? cooldown. Enemy attacks at or through Genji while active become his attacks and are redirected. Cannot attack while active.
Dragonblade: lasts ?? turns, ?? charge, 1 turn to activate. Replace attack with 12-damage melee.
Or something. I've never tried to design a system before; that probably feels terrible and clunky.

>>50450598
Just jump right in and start doing things, I guess. The only people who'll judge you are yourself, and those you don't know and will likely never meet again.
>>
>>50449571
You're to focused on a 1:1 replication of Dark Souls mechanics. That approach is terrible for tabletop adaptions because you simply can't do the enourmous calculations the game uses by hand.

As for combat, yeah, you can't just copy the focus on timing. For that you need to get a bit more creative. But there's still things like swing arcs, move pools, damage types and stamina management. Some time ago I saw an anon use a card-based combat system, with your hand representing your stamina.
>>
>>50451497
>You're to focused on a 1:1 replication of Dark Souls mechanics. That approach is terrible for tabletop adaptions because you simply can't do the enourmous calculations the game uses by hand.

I have a 1:1 recreation of both Fire Emblem and XCOM on Roll20 with macros doing the calculations and they both work perfectly.
>>
>>50451497
I suppose, but at what point does it stop being a Dark Souls system and start being a generic RPG that happens to use Lordran as its setting?
>>
>>50450633
>Just jump right in and start doing things, I guess. The only people who'll judge you are yourself, and those you don't know and will likely never meet again.
Remember when most of /tg/ thought this way?

Well... I have been kicking around the idea of another alternate 40k. Basically the make it fun version. We toss out everything too 'serious' about 40k and try and make 40k more campy, fun, and ridiculous. Stuff like the Noise Marines still having Guitars, DoomRider not being killed off by the White Scars, Orks not being a bunch of side-characters, someone besides Abaddon leading Chaos, and UltraSmurfs not owning the spotlight.

This would mostly be for Dark Heresy and the other RPGs. Couldn't care less about the wargame.
>>
>>50451568
>>50451497

>>50450034's suggestion seems like a good place to start.
>>
>>50451579
And of course, the Space Wolves are actual furries. Probably in the "human but interested in anthro art," since having them actually be anthro wolves would be a bit too heretical even for a lighter setting.
>>
>>50451620
Actually, I was thinking they'd go with more of a Star Kraken route, and we'd get Viking Marines with a wolf motif.
>>
>>50441582
Because the sign is going to keep her safe?
>>
>>50436085
Fuck, boi! You're on a thread about improving /tg/, you slag shit you don't like for reasons, and you post 12-year-old animu fapbait??????
See this post>>50432452
for some advice on how not to be such a failure.
>>
>how can we make /tg/ better?
Very simple, friends: DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.
There are (some) good people here. They do good work and contribute awesomeness. But they get drowned out by trolls and bait-eaters.

A corollary to this is: be excellent to each other; which means kindness and courtesy and thoughtfulness in both word and spirit. It also means not disparaging things you don't like or understand; if you can't say something good, say nothing.

Yes/no?
Thoughts?
>>
File: 1480275568689-tg.png (9KB, 1341x87px) Image search: [Google]
1480275568689-tg.png
9KB, 1341x87px
>>50453935
Sound advice. However, it's not going to work. /tg/ loves responding to bait. The only way to fix it is to generate more interesting content than the bait.
>>
>>50454151
gawdammit I even remember seeing that post....still, the grognards of the site (ought) to know better. Are not the majority of the trollfeeders the new kids? I guess i don't actually know, just assume...is feeding the trolls as big of a habit as being a troll? Can we not just have a system to purge troll posts?
Wait, we do, and it's not working - mods and jannies are overloaded and cannot be effective....FUCK.
Sorry, just thinkin out loud, here...
generating better content than the bait seems the/a good option....it will still attract trolls, tho: any sign of a good time and they flock in droves....
I think i saw earlier in this thread someone mention something about going all hardcore oldschool: fire off 'lurkmoar's and generally be high-handed with these cunts? Be intolerant 4chan and savage the trolls, drive them out?
>>
File: 1441768830605.jpg (321KB, 956x960px) Image search: [Google]
1441768830605.jpg
321KB, 956x960px
>>50449571
pic related,
also something I thought of was managing stamina similar to what another anon said in that your stamina pool is shared for your and your opponents turns, and you have to use stamina on their turn to parry/block/roll/dodge
>>50451596
>>50451559
>>50451497
>>50451568
I mean I like Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric so I wouldn't be mad, but I do want to develop a unique and gritty system that represents DS
>>50450034
see this is why we actually need to sit down and think about it. I like this idea, it's gritty and realistic just like Dark Souls I know DS isn't ""realistic"" but it's still more realistic than most vidya in terms of combat
>>
>>50454874
Check the pdf share thread for the Blade of the Iron Throne RPG, read through it until you have some ideas on what mechanics to change, then create a new thread with your suggestions. /tg/ would hop on that like a thread disparaging Dwarves and/or Elves.
>>
File: villianous.gif (5KB, 230x400px) Image search: [Google]
villianous.gif
5KB, 230x400px
>>50454777
Checked.
But yeah, feeding the trolls is a big, bad habit; they wouldn't be able to take over the thread if they didn't get 5 (You)s on each comment. Even the replies that are just "lol heres ur you" are part of the problem.
The best plan is just to try to outweigh the bad with the good - one of the reasons /v/ has dropped like a stone compared to just a few years ago is because it got a reputation as a place where you don't have to watch what you post so long as it's not NSFW (and even then, you've got about an hour). As such, people stopped caring about whether or not they'd just seen the same exact thread three times, because hey, they might get those wonderful replies for no effort!
Essentially, pic related.
>>
>>50431327
>Playing games
>If this were allowed on /tg/ we'd still have Quests. /tg/ is only for discussing games, settings, and game mechanics.

This is true.

You can post comics on /co/, you can fap on /hc/, but you can't play roleplaying games on the board where all the roleplayers congregate.
>>
>>50447485
I've always had a hard time getting into that game. It's fun playing one of the Agents, but I always bomb Spy. I just can't think of good answers that don't obviously give me away.
>>
>>50455422
Perhaps the op pic for this thread should be a great big 'DO NOT FEED TROLLS' banner. If we keep this notion on the top of everyone's mind, it might help. Maybe. A little.
>>
File: 1476508247531-tg.png (3MB, 1694x728px) Image search: [Google]
1476508247531-tg.png
3MB, 1694x728px
>>50456132
Nah. Mr. Rogers/Bob Ross works much better in that regard. It's why I try and have a Semi-monthly Mr. Rogers thread on here.
>>
File: 1339764046939.png (163KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
1339764046939.png
163KB, 1000x700px
>>50432452
Most of our creative talent, drawfags, and writefags left once quests were kill. Then smut general was kill.

You wanna know why /tg/ is dead now? Blame the mods and the "no fun allowed/this is WRONG creation" fags. The /tg/ mod wanted quests off the board, which was contrary to the wishes of most of /tg/. Now if you make thread about it, even though we're supposed to be able to have meta threads, it will get deleted. Guaranteed.
>>
>>50458155

Heyman

Dont fucking EVER defend the disgusting cesspool that was smut general
>>
>>50458192
>this is WRONG creation
Thanks for proving me right. If mermaid shota smut isn't /tg/ then I don't know what /tg/ is anymore.

What the hell happened? When did it all go so wrong? Was it a single moment, or just a slow decline? I can't tell.
>>
File: 9845681517464817164.jpg (87KB, 959x1289px) Image search: [Google]
9845681517464817164.jpg
87KB, 959x1289px
>>50458228

>mermaid shota smut isn't /tg/ then

Look man I like a good monster girl or some nice fantasy smut once in a while but that really isant /tg/ but I seriously think a traditional games board shouldn't unofficially have the title of /d/ lite
>>
>>50458289

but anon your toxic and stem the creativity of smut posts

You wanna being old /tg/ back right?
>>
File: idek.jpg (779KB, 914x1089px) Image search: [Google]
idek.jpg
779KB, 914x1089px
>>50458289
>one thread out of many up at one time dedicated to creative writing about fantastic beasts and how to seduce them
>Therefore the entire board is dedicated to it
Yeah, because everyone calls /v/ Neptunia-lite, right?
>I don't think the board should have X in it even if it's related to tabeltop gaming because I don't like nicknames
You're absolutely right, and anyone who disagrees is extremely childish. OC isn't a good thing if it's in a niche of a niche of a very slow board. /tg/ just needs less OC, right?

Like I said, you want to know why there isn't as many writefags here anymore? Because one of the biggest congregation of writefaggotry was banned, and quests were banished. Surprise surprise, you ban creativity and creativity falters. Most of those who writefagged and questfagged contributed to the board outside of their quests and writefaggotry. When one of their main appeals to /tg/(which is a niche interest in itself, though just by visiting this board you wouldn't be able to tell) was banned, they started leaving. The board got slower, there were less storytimes, all around a slow decline. It's not hard to put two and two together. I can't do anything about your willfull blindness simply because you didn't like a thread you never had to visit in the first place, but there's why. Love them or hate them, monstergirls, quests, 40k, >dragon ass, stories of neckbeards, they've always been a part of /tg/ from the beginnning. Any seperation from all of that is artificial.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1314x3591px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1314x3591px
>>50458383
So, don't quite know if this goes here, but some people mentioned writing and how /tg/ could use more writefags, so I guess it's sorta related.

I write stuff from time to time, have a lot of fun with it. Did this a while back in a thread about space marines, people seemed to like it so I thought about writing more stuff. I used to read stuff like Love Can Bloom, Garden Golem, the story about the Krieger medic in a normal regiment, stuff like that all the time and I loved it. Would love to write some stories and see that kinda stuff on /tg/ again, but I'm not sure if starting threads for these sorta things is okay.

What do you guys think? Writing short /tg/ stories and posting them as threads; Good or Bad?
>>
>>50458752
Sounds good to me
>>
>>50458752
This is hilarious.

Nice job! Its been a while since something on /tg/ has made me laugh that hard.

As a certified oldfag I approve.
>>
>>50458624

I dont really know what to say.

I never enjoyed quests since I couldnt get into them

I personally think anyone could be a writefag but they dont want to give out ideas, or be bothered to type it

I just come for the memes to be completely honest and scenario discussions the only general Is go to are 40k RPG general and Infinity genral
>>
File: 1288164934525.jpg (146KB, 778x881px) Image search: [Google]
1288164934525.jpg
146KB, 778x881px
>>50458939
>I just come for the memes to be completely honest
I knew it.
It's the cancer like you that kills every board, regardless of what it's about.
You just repost the jokes made years ago made by passionate people even though you don't understand even the context nor yoke of them, and then you have the audacity to claim what does or doesn't belong on the board.

Absolute scum.
>>
>>50458752

I asked the same earlier and i got much the same response you did. Go for it. Out of curiosity you got anything specific planned? Or is this just a hypothetical inquiry?
>>
>>50459227

Fine you want me to type out my setting then?
>>
>>50429184
>playing CAH in normie mode
custom packs are basically the same kind of circlejerky injokes that 7chong live on, what's not to like?
>>
>>50459242
Nothing terribly specific, just some 40k related stuff homestly. I just love writing stuff in 40k's universe, whether it's funny or serious.

I'm tempted to write something about a kid who gets made into a Khorne Berserker and his adventures after that though. Just to prove a point to some friends after an argument we had about Khorne's followers being the most boring.
>>
>>50458383
OP here. I would've liked to see Quests AND Smut return for the sole purpose of bringing back Heretical Love Quest. Of course, Quests are impossible.

Smut on the other hand...

There's two options open to you.

1) Negotiate with the Mods on their IRC for a Weekend Smut Thread that may be posted on Saturday, and Janitors Sage by Sunday Night.

2) Find yourself a Shitpost not already involving sex. A Hitler thread or a martial vs. Caster thread works well. Post what would be your OP for a Smut thread there. Boom, thread derailed and nothing is lost in terms of thread quality. Remember, a Dual Wielding Tower Shields thread can always be turned into a Thread on the hierarchy of monstergirl fucking.(Shagging a cow girl)

>>50458624
Our main goal for writers is to provide them a landing base, but encourage them to post their own thread, putting content out in the open and hopefully showing that /tg/ doesn't discourage it.
>>
File: bwaaaaaah.png (1MB, 732x791px) Image search: [Google]
bwaaaaaah.png
1MB, 732x791px
>>50459227
>>
>>50458155
But most of those things were gone long before quests left too, so that doesn't really check out.
>>
>>50459327

>Oc about a khornate berserker

I would read it. I'm >>50439903 by the way. Well anon lets go for it. Maybe at some point we could do a collab or something. i'd like that. Also, i loved >>50458752. Very nice work, i really would like to see more of your writing, and i'm quite curious to see what you could do if you wrote something more serious.
>>
>>50459259
No, I want you to lurk more, I want you browse the archives, I want you to get some taste. I want you to see the kind of threads and quality of discussion we had years ago about every topic under the sun. Undead-powered mechanical computers, flash games, civ quests, CATastrophe, all the original settings, every thing that was crossovered with 40k a million times but still gets threads made about it.

"But that's impossible and unreasonable to ask of me!" says the newfag.
Bullshit. If you want to see discussion of quality, you have to know what we've already discussed. If I was there for the molemen, old man jenkins, all-guardsmen-party's originally terrible writing structure, for the star krakens, all of this shit that wasn't even that long ago, then there's no excuse for you to not know. You want to be on the same level, then apply yourself.

And most of all, if you listen to nothing I say, what do I want of you?
I want you to stop. Making. Shitposts.
>>
>>50459486
OP here. Alternatively he could just hit Random on 1d4chan. That's what I did.

Or he could start playing games. That's why this thread exists
>>
>>50459711
Read his posts again. His problem is coming here only for memes. I don't think 1d4chan will help him with that.
>>
>>50459486

He doesn't have to know all the old stories man. He just needs to not shit post. As long as he is willing to entertain intelligent meaningful discussion he doesnt neccisarilly have to be aware of the debates of yester year, and as much as i love the old write faggotry one need not be famiar with it to produce meaningful new content. Fresh blood is not bad anon, fresh blood brings new life. We just need to let our new blood breath a bit. We smother them and demand they conform to our system. This means they inevitably get smacked down for being a newfag. It breeds resentment. I feel that it also teaches them that the only culturally acceptable way for them to post on the board is to shit post. It has the lowest entry barrier, and we ourselves enforce that barrier that keeps them there. Let the new blood breath. We can't all be grognards and there is nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>50459798

For the record i'm not trying to put you down or start anything. I'm just trying to make a point.
>>
File: ulysses.png (406KB, 500x511px) Image search: [Google]
ulysses.png
406KB, 500x511px
>>50459798
Counterpoint: Arguing about ww2 without reading a history book is stupid. So is arguing over 40k factions without reading the codexes, as is suggesting what is and isn't /tg/ despite only coming here for "le ebin maymays"(which he has confessed to).

Lurking is absolutely vital. If a newfag's first reaction to being called a faggot is to be an even bigger faggot, is he desirable? No. Adversity breeds character, someone who revels in their own ignorance adds nothing to a conversation. You can philosophize about it all you want, but the end result of what you're suggesting is "lol d&d is for nerds I only come here for the memes s m h t b h f a m".
>>
>>50459809
Your point is valid in only at it's broadest mode of thought and you should feel gay for how anal you're being about it
>>
>>50460031

I'd really rather this didn't turn into an argument, could we please keep this pleasant. There is no need for this to degenerate into incivility. If i may offer a counter argument to your rebutal, lurking is not necessary to being able to hold an intelligent conversation about a topic. Nor is knowing board history (unless the topic is board history). You said it yourself they just have to read the relevant codex/ rulebook, which have nothing to do with lurking on /tg/. It's not like we story time codex. We call people new fags because they don't know our meme's. what you don't know old man Henderson? NEWFAG. You don't understand death by sudoku? NEWFAG. etc. This has nothing to do with meaningful discussion. In no way am i saying that coming here for meme's is acceptable. If they come here to shit post and meme then yes, that is a problem and we should discourage that behavior. I am proposing that we may be encouraging that behavior by demanding they know our memes. Now admittedly the poster you responded to came here just for the meme's. And that is not conducive to board culture this is true. I'm not saying we should support that behavior. I'm just saying we shouldn't penalize people who's only crime is they are newer to the hobby and board than we are. That is pointless elitism. Everyone starts somewhere, and if you don't nurture that new blood then you get stagnation and endless circle jerks about the same old tired arguments. Kinda like what happens here on /tg/.

Can we please just avoid meaningless insults and keep this civil? We are all just trying to improve the board here. We are not each others' enemies.
>>
>>50460207
>Can we please just avoid meaningless insults and keep this civil?
this is why I love /tg/
>>
>>50460207
>I'm not saying we should support that behavior
Just that they shouldn't be called out on it?
> we shouldn't penalize people who's only crime is they are newer to the hobby and board than we are
None of us can penalize anybody on here, unless you call accusations of faggotry "penalizing", in which case the cure is growing a thicker skin. And we absolutely should call such people faggots, when they ask questions that could be solved by five minutes or less of using any number of search engines.

The word faggot is tossed around here so much it doesn't atually mean anything. It's just a way to keep normalfags off the site at large, because they're the only ones who would actually take offense to it.
>>
>>50460487

I'm not saying they shouldn't be called out on negative behavior. I'm saying there is a difference between coming here to shit post, and coming here to learn about ttrpg's but not knowing all the grognards memes.

Genuinely interested new anons recieve negative responses for just trying to learn.

>Hey i'm new, what is that? What does that mean?
>faggot.
>fuck you
>lurk moar
>Newfag

etc.

There really is no reason for this pointlessly negative behavior. All it does is teach anons not to try to learn, and that the board culture is to be a dick to each other. That's not conducive to the development of a dialogue. It teaches them that the proper response to anything and everything on tg is condescension.

In contrast the shit poster comes here and posts bait

>elf slave wat do?
>look ma i posted it again
>op is a faggot
>damn it not another one
>rape

etc.

They are in fact getting what they wanted, attention and by responding to "call them out" your keeping it around longer. Common anon, we all know you don't feed the troll.

There is a clear difference between the two. I'm not saying we should encourage shit posters and bait threads. But if an anon has legitimate questions or is just trying to interact and understand why put them down? Why? What does it accomplish? You feel good? It seems to me to be needless behavior that harms the board. We are just being rude for the sake of being rude. We could do so much more than just be rude to one another. We could do great things, we could get stuff done, but we gotta stop shooting everyone down all the time.
>>
>>50460487
>It's just a way to keep normalfags off the site at large, because they're the only ones who would actually take offense to it.
Anon, I'm 26 years old. I don't have time to try and exclude everyone from my hobby who isn't 'legit', or crass enough not to flinch when I call them a slur.
>>
>>50460706

This is a very reasonable point.
>>
File: alpha legion as fuck.jpg (157KB, 1581x678px) Image search: [Google]
alpha legion as fuck.jpg
157KB, 1581x678px
>>50460615
There will always be a spoonfeeder, but there should also be at least one person who calls them out on being a faggot.

Also I think you're projecting a little too hard on hundreds of people. You don't know they'll react. Maybe you were called a newfag plenty of times and you got your feelings hurt, and so you don't want anyone else to, either. Now, I don't know that for a fact. I don't know why you believe the things you believe. But you also don't know that spoonfeeding without accusations of faggotry, although believe me, there will always be one of each, will not reduce the quality of the posters.

You keep saying "we gotta be this, we gotta say this instead of that", but the truth of the matter is that we as individuals decide what to do to who on a case by case basis. Some people should be called faggots, some should get information. I reserve such judgement for others, because I do not wish this place to be the same, or even reflect, me personally.
However, you seem to be making assumptions,
>All it does is teach anons not to try to learn, and that the board culture is to be a dick to each other
>It teaches them that the proper response to anything and everything on tg is condescension.
>Genuinely interested new anons recieve negative responses for just trying to learn.
that rely on knowledge of an incredible mass of people that you or I cannot possibly know.
>Why? What does it accomplish? You feel good?
As I stated before, adversity creates drive. A drive to know, for knowledge about various things, drives people in any post containing a question. I see you still don't understand some elements of this place yourself. Your curiosity is good. A base psychological reason, that the illusion of being an outcast drives them to seek not being an outcast(in /tg/s case by learning stuff about settings) and thus improvement. But the real answer is that this is how it was done, and always will be.
habeeb it
>>
>>50461019

Well thank you for being civil about this. I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. You seem a decent enough person, and i do not mean to imply your idea is without merit. I feel perhaps there exists between us some manner of miscommunication, or maybe we do just have two radically different perspectives. Either way you gonna do you, and i'm gonna do me, and that's fine. At this point we don't appear to be going anywhere and any further discussion would not seem to be productive. We've said our pieces. Ideally we can both come out of this considering what the other said and move on with some new perspective, even if it does not change our opinions.

For the record the reason i used the pronoun "we" is because its much less aggressive than the pronoun "you". Consider if the whole time i had been saying "you gotta do this", or "You shouldn't do that" it would have been far more directed at you personally and far more offensive. In essence that was what i was saying really, but by saying we instead of you and including myself and others it makes it feel less like an attack. Old trick i learned in debate class long ago. I never meant to imply i speak for /tg/, i was just trying to avoid an argument that would profit no one.

Again for the record (and i don't know why i'm talking about this, you probably wont care) i was only called a Newfag once actually.I didn't really care all that much. Perhaps i am worrying too much about it. I may be over thinking things a great deal. I just personally believe that people get more done when they are considerate of one another. Anger and condescension just bring things down, and tend to self perpetuate. You get angry, you mistreat others cause your angry, they get angry etc etc. I just wish the board as a whole would be a more civil place, and i applied that to the treatment of new fags because the treatment of new fags had come up, and with all due respect the way it was being addressed did not seem very civil.
>>
File: This dragon seems familiar... .webm (973KB, 956x714px) Image search: [Google]
This dragon seems familiar... .webm
973KB, 956x714px
>>50460615
Nail on the head, really. Especially
>All it does is teach anons not to try to learn, and that the board culture is to be a dick to each other.
They're taught that actively trying to learn results in them being insulted, and that such insults are praised by other members of the community. So, rather than the time-consuming and unrewarding task of lurking until they know a more nuanced version of why things are what they are, it's much easier jump on the easy way to get praise: vapid, negative responses to people who ask questions.
In contrast, if people answer with information (or at least a link to a wiki), there is, of course, the chance that they learn that they don't need to learn to find info on their own, but more importantly, they learn that /tg/ denizens are generally helpful and friendly. If they want to blend in, they should at least try to be friendly if they can't be helpful.

>>50461019
>adversity creates drive. A drive to know, a knowledge about various things
It creates drive, or it creates disinterest. If a common assumption about the hobby is that people who're involved with it are dismissive jerks, it lessens the motivation to join - not necessarily because it's too hard, but because normal people don't want to go out of their way to spend time with and be associated with dismissive jerks.
>>
>>50461270

Thank you anon. That second point was pretty well said.
>>
File: alsorcerer3.jpg (79KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
alsorcerer3.jpg
79KB, 620x620px
>>50461263
There were also some more, finer details of my view on things that I didn't share, but then again, you'd be a fool to write out your beliefs on a computer in a world where the -No -Sense of privacy -Agency exists. I just think 4chan as a whole would be a very boring place indeed if everyone was polite, said their please and thank yous, and never argued. It'd be a stagnant shithole.
It was a pleasure talking with you, fellow philosofag. Remember, Chaos is the only true answer.
>>
>>50461506
Nah, the answer is different for everyone, because everyone's a different question.

Chaos, however, is the Method.
>>
>>50461270
Regarding your second bit in response to the "adversity creates drive" anon, I'd like to explain something that maybe you haven't figured out yet. Calling out "newfags", using language people from outside these boards will make assumptions about you for, that's part of board culture for a reason.

> If a common assumption about the hobby is that people who're involved with it are dismissive jerks, it lessens the motivation to join

This is true, but it's also a desirable outcome. The boards want people who will play along, whether because they're so fucking dumb that they think the memes represent what the boards actually think, like the idiots at /pol/, or because they're thick-skinned and intelligent enough to find their own way to interact with other anons.

I've seen newfags immediately grasp the concepts and start pretending to be people who have been in the board for years. Other newfags pretend that they're in on all the jokes but don't take part in any because they find them disagreeable.

At the end of the day it's a big filter that surrounds the board and keeps it from becoming a place the "mainstream" invades. I'm not saying you can't have an opposing view on the situation, but you'll probably have a lot of detractors if you try to bring new people into 4chan. They should find it on their own and leave if they can't work with it. That's how it's always been.
>>
>>50461726
Oddly enough, we very likely get the most newbies from the Reddit, through subreddits like /r/DNDGreentext, which, ironically enough, acts as one of the better organized searchable archives for all of our Greentext stories.
>>
>>50459355

IIRC the main issue with the smut thread was not the smut or the degenerates in it, but mostly people posting NWS pictures on /tg/ one too many times that the mod decided enough was enough and banished them.
>>
>>50462675

Well I mean it was a smut thread, it makes sense it didn't stay blue board appropriate honestly.
>>
>>50462696

I think its because when horny, people's brains shut off and they start doing stupid things.

The mod was fine with links to other websites, but I don't get why they kept doing it after the janitors and mods deleted them.
>>
Back with some ideas aboot the not!souls RPG

1) 2 D10 system where success on any test is on an 11+. Additional degrees of success are on 12-20. Instead of degrees of success providing more of something, tests require a specific degree of success to succeed.
2) Attributes do not “level-up”, instead the characteristics change at the GM’s discretion through context (e.g. spending time in jail would prompt the GM to lower attributes, whereas a character training would prompt the GM to increase the character’s strength). Attributes assist a character in succeeding at a test, providing a -x requirement on a test where x is their relevant attribute bonus (attribute/10, rounded down to the nearest integer)
3) Combat is more realistic than in most other RPG’s. Combat actions are specific and are often aimed. Pain from wounds is a factor in combat, which results in the combatant fighting worse. This includes both melee and projectile-based fighting.
4) Magic based on slots equal to Intelligence (or other attribute bonus), with varying casting times and focus required.
5) Characters may have an amount of traits depending on the background of the character. These traits may have a positive or negative effect (or both) regarding success on a test.
6) Functioning somewhat similarly to the fate points system, in that a character has a finite resource that replenishes at the beginning of a game session, each character is allowed to not!hollow 3+(willpower bonus) times each game session before being fully not!hollowed.

Not sure if I should make a separate thread, but I like the notion that /tg/ gets shit done.
if anyone is interested add me on steam: Existential Ego Death / halubi
>>
>>50462726
from what I hear, it was out of thread shitposters trying to get the thing sunk who were posting that shit.
>>
>>50462839
Yeah, IIRC some jackass kept making like 5 /wst/ threads at the same time to justify complaining that it's needless spam.
>>
>>50464922
I actually noticed that the day of Quest being banned there was around twice as many Quests, all Anime.
>>
OP Here. I'll be compiling resources and post the new thread as soon as this one hits page 10, now that it's hit the bump limit New thread every Monday/Wednesday seems reasonable.
>>
>>50427095
Vassal got added, how about ZunTzu?
http://zuntzu.com/
>>
>>50465308
I have it downloaded, but not yet tested. What's your opinion on it?
>>
In regards to the spoonfeeding versus newfag hazing issue I just read through above, I had a point to make.
Whenever I encounter an issue between choosing from two options, often the answer is that they're not mutually exclusive.
When I see a newfag ask a question or do something inappropriate for the board, I politely inform them, answer any questions, and then call them a newfag and suggest they lurk moar.

The key is to never post with anger.
When I call an anon a cock-mongling faggot, I do so with laughter in my heart, not rage.
>>
>>50462726
That's wrong, though. The /wst/ was never deleted, it was set to autosage because a very specific shitposter would spam dozens of new threads after the last one got made. I was there, ready to post a thing I wrote and boom, threads are autosaging, I got no feedback on that smut in the end.

That was the problem people had with ERPers, they would turn any thread into a literal circle jerk, but that had nothing to do with the smut thread, which was walled off into a single thread that only came up on the weekends.

>>50464922
Five? The dude spammed them so consistently the janitors and mods gave up trying to delete them and just autosaged the /wst/ thread titles. No one was banned or warned for the content of the thread, they just had to shut them down because someone with way too many proxies for his own good was refusing to stop. It wasn't the content of the threads or the complaints that sunk (literally) the smut threads, it was one person with a petty vendetta fucking over the system.
>>
>>50427095
Whats the best place to get map assets for a Roll20 map?
>>
>>50467051
http://battlegroundsgames.com/links/ has a bunch of resources.
>>
File: 1465314949656.gif (3MB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
1465314949656.gif
3MB, 426x426px
>>50467096
thanks anon
>>
New Thread:

>>50467642
>>50467642
>>50467642
>>50467642
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.