[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 357
Thread images: 39

File: uriahheepwizard.jpg (380KB, 1920x1185px) Image search: [Google]
uriahheepwizard.jpg
380KB, 1920x1185px
Geek Rock edition

>Latest News
Cleric Divine Domains: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains
Don't forget to give your opinion in the Bard survey!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous thread
>>50391447

>Topic
How would you design a setting themed around "classic" rock, especially the more illustrative types like folk rock, psychedelic rock and progressive rock? Hard mode: no heavy metal.
>>
>>50398839
>How would you design a setting themed around "classic" rock
Rock idols would be the lords of every city, and give the party tons of "for the fans" requests.
>>
>>50399197
>PDF
That's gonna become the /5eg/ version of the rickroll, isn't it?
>>
>>50399264
I almost clicked it, but then I saw it was 1.45 MB.
>>
File: 1329856287787.png (63KB, 600x601px) Image search: [Google]
1329856287787.png
63KB, 600x601px
>that feeling when you cleared your homebrew of any possible furry characters

it's a feeling of relief
>>
>>50399276
Humans are basically anthro-apes, so your setting still contains furries/anthroes.
>>
>>50399275
Yeah it's a little big - I'll shrink it
>>
>>50399302
Joke's on you, the only race in my homebrew is elves. One thousand subraces, all of elves.
>>
>>50399276
This. One time some faggot wanted to play a carfolk in my campaign and I said no and he whined like a bitch, so I just caved and let him do it. First session his sexy catfolk rogue got roofied and brought to a room where she was raped by six different men. That could have been the end of it but no she was pregnant. Turns out one if her rapists was a Wight and she was having twin Wight babies which when achieving maturity decided to eat her alive during childbirth and as a result she died. The guy tried to play another catfolk with the same stats and at that point I told him to get the fuck out of my apartment.
>>
>>50399488
You're the DM why didn't you just not let this happen in the first place? The player's only control one character last I checked, it's up to you if anyone else rapes her, who it is, and if she gets pregnant.
>>
>>50399507
It's bait, anon.
>>
>>50399488

Are carfolk a drag racing subtype of warforged?
>>
>>50399530

Yes. And they dress in drag, hence the degeneracy.
>>
Another question for 5eg, what's a setting (besides the ones constantly mentioned) that you'd like to see brought up to 5th edition?

It'll never happen, but I'd like to see Red Steel (Gonzo new frontier where the dirt gives you super powers and cancer unless you wear more dirt) and Dragonstar (Flash Gordon/Original Battlestar Galactica meets D&D).
>>
>>50399614
>besides the ones constantly mentioned
I don't know what those are but all I want is Dark Sun
>>
>>50399530
Yeah, TSR wanted to cash in on the Transformers boom, so they added it as a warforged subtype back in the 90s. Right around the time they introduced Saurials.
>>
>>50399488
Does virt usually show up in /5eg/?
>>
Guise, I need a good solo (1 player, 1 DM) module. Anybody got anything?
>>
>>50399507
Sometimes the players just... Do really stupid things. Was once in an admittedly terrible game that I tried my best to enjoy myself in regardless, where one player's female silver dragonborn decided to disrobe in our common sleeping room, because "she's silver dragonborn and thus prefers the cold"... THEN she tries to go snuggle up to the DMPC (yes, THAT kind of game.. ugh) who shoos her away... so she decides to go sleep outside. Still in the nude. So yeah, bad things happened, but let's face it, the player acted like an idiot, and when players act like idiots they have to suffer some consequences.
I quit that game shortly afterwards regardless, the DMPC schtick was getting infuriating and he continued to treat the dim player like crap instead of helping them (their dragonborn was a wizard but the player misremembered the primary stats for a wizard and put the best rolls in wisdom).
>>
>>50399630
Not anymore.
>>
>>50399645
>when players act like idiots they have to suffer some consequences.
And some players act out so that you will punish their catgirl and they can get off to it. Read the table and shut shit down without feeding into their fetish.
>>
>>50399793
Yeah, you've got a point there.
>>
Best class and specialization for a classy, reasonable evil character? Was thinking necromancy, but I'll be playing with another necromancer and would rather find my own jam.
>>
>>50399948
Any type of wizard really, or possibly a dragon sorc playing up the dragon traits.
>>
>>50399948

Honestly? Any of them work really since its all in how you play them. But I guess fighter and wizard come to mind as the most classic 'classy bad guy' classes.
>>
>>50399980
>>50399988
Liking what I'm hearing, thanks for the insight.
>>
i wanna fuck a mul woman
>>
Maybe this is just my mild OCD kicking in but I'm having a hard time figuring out how Ring Mail armor works. From what I gather, "ring mail" doesn't even exist proper, and any visual I can find of something fitting the bill is only a vest (one-handed guy from Hawk The Slayer, and Berek from the second Dungeons & Dragons film) of the materials. Hardly "heavy armor" material...
https://www.scifinow.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Hawk-The-Hunter-2.jpg
http://aolx.tmsimg.com/iconic/h12/AllPhotos/36465/p36465_i_h12_aa.jpg
Obviously this is a fantasy world but I'd still like the armor to make some sense... Been thinking of substituting it for something else, like maybe full-body lorica segmentata....
Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>50400093
A new edition of a game should never strip away a playable race from an earlier edition.
>>
>>50400263
Ring mail literally does not exist and has never existed. You can stop pondering this.
>>
>>50400291
Yeah, I gathered that. I'm just saying even "fantasy interpretations" of ring mail are just leather vests with rings embedded in em.
Which is why I wanna use a different armor for the "lowest AC heavy armor", but I'm not sure what.
>>
>>50400330
Maybe a similar style that is small plates sewn to leather.
>>
>>50400374
>>50400330
Or small patches of chain worked into leather.
>>
>>50400418
Thoughts on the non-/pol/ part of this?
>>
File: 1410746766429.jpg (99KB, 560x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1410746766429.jpg
99KB, 560x1000px
So /5eg/, how would I go about refluffing Wizards into spellcasters who gain their power by ingesting potions, drugs, and poisons? Something a little like a spallcasting Witcher.
>>
>>50400330
Swap it with Scale Mail on the list?
>>
>>50400472
My only thought is this:
I really want to play a Revenant (CoS UA) path of the zealot barbarian.

Why?

Because The goddamn Undertaker.
>>
>>50400542
That might actually work. Not the ring mail part, mind you, but using the scale armor as the lowest Heavy Armor, and using Lorica Segmentata as the "same AC as breastplate (aka Lorica Musculata) but with a disadvantage on stealth" armor.
Thanks!
>>
>>50400508
i would tie in using spell slots with imbibing potions

you can only craft so many during a long rest and overdosing poses a significant risk to your health without higher knowledge/level.
>>
>>50400543
It would kind of make the Warrior of the Gods feature useless though.
>>
>>50400508

Are you looking for mechanical or fluff changes? Fluff is easy - the action to cast a spell is now just drinking a potion.
>>
>>50400330
Downgrade chain mail to ring mail's AC. replace the formerly higher AC with some other mail and plate mix armor
>>
The only experience I had with this game was 3.5. How drastically different is it now?
>>
>>50400677
Yeah, it would, but it's a sacrifice one must sometimes pay for the sake of flavor.
One of the players in my game plays a ranger who just really digs swords over any other weapon, and despite some appearances of +1 hand axes, continues to use his nonbonus swords, because the character feels swords to just be superior to axes.
It's weird, it's silly, but sometimes, you want to roleplay more than you want to "max out" a character.
>>
>>50400701
Mechanically. Like you said, fluff is easy. But I'd like a means of mechanically representing the idea.
>>
>>50400734

Very, very different (for the better in my opinion). The biggest change is that the system is now bounded instead of unbounded. That is your stats and rolls are expected to land in a certain range, unlike the nearly infinite growth a character could have in 3.5 As an example, with few exceptions stats are hard capped at 20.

Most of the complex math and proficiency have simply been boiled down to a proficiency bonus. If you are proficient in a save, skill, tool, or weapon you add your stat modifier and proficiency bonus. E.g. if two characters have a proficiency bonus of +2 and strength of +3, but only one is proficient in the longsword, their attacks with it will be +5 (proficient) and +3 (not proficient).

Skills have been simplified. Hide and Move Silently are now simply stealth. Spot and Listen are now just Perception, and so on.

Like skills, there are far fewer feats in the game now. They are also MUCH more powerful, with more powerful effects than what you would get in 3.5, as well as many which offer you several benefits.

Finally, it's very balanced. With a few exceptions everything is solid and you can play even radical race/class combos and still do alright. Wizards are strong but no longer outshine martials as much as they used to, fighters have the highest DPR in the game and so on.

Those are most of the biggest differences. I've found it very refreshing, and re-reading old 3.5 adventures has reminded me just HOW much better I think 5E is.
>>
>>50400759
I get you, mang. Though usually if someone were gimping themselves by picking things that grant redundant features, I would grant them some little thing to make up for it. If you ever end up going through with that build, or something similar, then I would definitley recommend asking the DM if they'll grant you something else so you're not just punishing yourself.

Like when I played a Minotaur I asked if I could get a race specific form of charger so the bonus attack part of the feat wasn't redundant. They said I could replace that part of the feat with a +1 bonus to Strength or Dexterity since they knew how heavily I would be leaning on charging. Everyone was happy about it in the end.
>>
what are some good low power magic items for a party consisting of a champion, open hand, bear totem, fiend/tome, undying light/tome, oath of nature and a college of lore?
>>
When is the druid Unearthed Arcana coming out?
>>
>>50400975
Next, but don't get your hopes up. It'll probably be shit.
>>
>>50400975
Around two days from now.
>>
>>50401003
>>50401004
I hope it's okay. I've got a new game coming up and want to try a different sort of druid this time around.
>>
>>50400900
Your party is way too big and your request is much too vague. I suggest you use this: http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/magic_items/
>>
>>50398839
3.5 was better anyway
>>
>>50400734
Less incremental/situational bonuses/penalties, mostly replaced with the advantage/disadvantage system, where you roll 2d20 and take the higher/lower respectively.

BaB, saving throw progression, and skill ranks are no longer a thing, all classes now get a standard proficiency bonus between +2 and +6 that is tied to overall character level, and applies to any skill/tool/saving throw/weapon attack roll that you have proficiency with.

Spellcasters no longer get bonus spells per day for high casting stats.

Spellcasters are now limited to maintaining concentration on one ongoing spell at a time. Casting another spell that requires concentration will end the previous spell.

Fortitude, Reflex, and Willpower saving throws have been replaced. Now each individual Ability Score has it's own associated saving throw. Your class at 1st level determines which two saving throws you are proficient in to begin with.

Feats are now an optional part of the game, at the discretion of the DM. (Most DMs use them though). You now can take them in place of improving your ability scores as you level up. There are far less feats available to choose from, but individual feats offer multiple features at once for taking them. There are no longer feat chains.

"Caster Level" is no longer a game mechanic. Spells of 1st level or higher can be cast using a higher level spell slot, with many spells' effects scaling up per level of slot used.
Also there are very few Save-or-Die effects in the game outside of high-level play.

>>50401064
That is your opinion anon, and you're entitled to it, but it's not a very popular one in this thread. Have fun playing your preferred edition though, since we don't.
>>
>>50400873
Yeah, I might inquire about some sort of feature that'd allow me to reproduce Taker's "no-sell sit-up" move, but I'd need to find a game... and honestly, I've had so much bad luck with either terrible DMs or DMs that just end up cancelling the game shortly into it, that I just do not want to use LFG posts anymore.
>>
>>50401108
What's your preferred method for finding a group? I've used /r/lfg and found an excellent in-person group within a couple of months.
>>
>Ultimate Skill Monkey Rogue with as many skill proficiencies as possible to use with Reliable Talent using feats like Skilled
Or
>Sneaky Sniper with Skulker and Sharpshooter

Wat do???
>>
I want to throw my players into a Berserk campaign. What level should I start them out in?
>>
When a creature has Innate spellcasting and it lists 1/day or 3/day, is that like a spell slot or does it mean each spell can be cast that many times individually?
>>
>>50401491
>each spell can be cast that many times individually
This.
>>
>>50401505
Thanks
>>
What's the best way of playing a Warforged in 5e? The Eberron UA seems kinda shitty, am I better off refluffing a Dwarf or Goliath?
>>
File: 1479646724480.jpg (115KB, 880x587px) Image search: [Google]
1479646724480.jpg
115KB, 880x587px
Bullywugs riding Giant Beetles with Rhino stats, y/n?
>>
>>50401133
>What's your preferred method for finding a group? I've used /r/lfg and found an excellent in-person group within a couple of months.
I've almost exclusively relied on Roll20's LFG, largely due to being somewhat new to the game (ran my first game in September 2015, have only been playing regularly since December of that year) and not knowing where else is good for finding groups.
>>
>>50401542
It's ok
>>
>>50401542
Sounds cool. Other cool mounts for bullywugs are giant leeches, but I have yet to find a good stat sheet for them and am too lazy to make it myself.
>>
File: 1479646824068.webm (2MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1479646824068.webm
2MB, 720x404px
>>50401567
>>50401582
What monkey species are in DnD? I'm thinking about doing pic related as well. Anything in Volo's guide? Haven't had the time to sift through it yet.
>>
>>50401612
Monkey species? None that I know of, but Goblins and Bugbears could reasonably be refluffed as such.
>>
>>50401612
For player characters or just races in general?
>>
>>50401612
I think there's baboon, monkeys, and apes at the back of the monster manual for generic beasts
>>
>>50401531
If you think it's shit then just see if you can throw in another trait.

Anyone got any ideas for an optional trait to throw onto Warforged that would bring it properly on the level with other races, or do you guys think it's fine where it is.

Warforged tl;dr
+1 Strength and Constitution
Medium size
30' speed
+1 AC
Don't need to eat, drink, or breathe, but can still consume whatever if you want
Sleeping is replaced with a 4 hour period of inactivity, during which you do not dream and you are fully aware of your surroundings
Read/Write/Speak Common and one other language of your choice

I personally think it's fine if only becuase of the utility, but I can see how other people might find it lacking. The only thing I could really think to give them would be an advantage on saving throws against mind fuckery, since their minds are artificial. Anything else I could think of seems like it would put them over the edge.
>>
>>50401666
I think a magical robot having resistance to "hacking" is reasonable.

I think the biggest advantage to being a warforged is mindflayers don't find you delicious.
>>
>>50401531
Look up a homebrew robot race called Arcanatrons. Actually perfect for Warforged.
>>
>>50401636
I guess.

>>50401638
Races in general.

>>50401638
Thinking more of humanoid apes like how Bullywugs are humanoid frogs, kuo-toa humanoid fish, etc.
>>
>>50401531
Keith Baker (creator of the Eberron setting) has his own 5e warforged stats on his personal blog.
>>
My party's (6th level) ranger and sorcerer get into a duel, who wins?
>>
>>50401884
what type of ranger?
>>
>>50401893
Hunter with sharpshooter
>>
>>50401942
PHB or UA Revised?
>>
Why the fuck mountain dorfs don't get shield proficiency? They are even called shield dorfs in FR, yet still no shields. This is bullshit.
>>
>>50401964
PHB
>>
>>50401884
The answer to who wins in a duel between PCs is usually "whoever wins initiative".
>>
>>50401982
Oh, well then sorcerer hands down, assuming his spell selection isn't utter shit.
>>
>>
>>50401942
>>50401964
either way it'll be >>50401983 because they'll one shot each other. UA ranger would win because of advantage on initiative most likely.
>>
>>50401976
I believe this man has the answer to all your problems >>50399197
>>
Are the spellbok cards out of print? Can't find anywhere with stock
>>
>>50402019
I wish you to die screaming in a fire.
>>
>>50402027
try Amazon
>>
any way my character can become headless and still be alive?
>>
>>50400781
You're better off just not
>>
>>50402079
Be a revenant, though they are not really alive.
>>
>>50402079
divine barbarian (until your rage ends)
>>
>>50402038
>>50402027
I guess they're sold out everywhere in Europe because I can see them only for 50+ euros, and ordering from the US would end up about the same amount after shipping... fucking hell, the original price was 15 euros for the bigger decks.
>>
>>50399614
>Gonzo new frontier where the dirt gives you super powers and cancer unless you wear more dirt

What?
>>
>>50399641
Sex.
>>
File: Autism.png (1MB, 800x474px) Image search: [Google]
Autism.png
1MB, 800x474px
>>50400263
>linked pictures instead of posting them
>on an imageboard
>>
Any point taking Shatter if I already have Fireball?
>>
>>50402520
Only if you're a storm sorcerer, or expect to be fighting constructs.
>>
>>50402520
Fireball deals fire damage, which is resisted by relatively many creatures.

>>50401884
Whoever wins, we all lose.
>>
File: floating_islands.jpg (318KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
floating_islands.jpg
318KB, 1600x1000px
>>50398839
Heep is fantastic my dude, and Roger Dean's work makes for great inspiration when I've got block about settings or characters.

I've never made a campaign based around any bands or genres, but certain I take certain songs or albums and use them as themes for guidance when making a character or area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apWKh3D9oVw
Magician's Birthday was the guidance for one of my most popular areas.
>>
>See Invisibility
Isn't Detect Magic strictly better? Any magic that makes things invisible would be revealed, as well as other kinds of magic.
>>
>>50402756
Yes, which is why See Invisibility lasts 6 times as long and doesn't require concentration.
>>
>>50402779
Oh, okay, fair enough.
>>
Okay, I didn't get an answer yesterday, so I'm trying again. My players killed the Dark Powers of Shadowfel in CoS. What do?
>>
Is there a place where we keep all the homebew stuff that's been posted?
>>
>>50402792
>homebrew
>laughing anime girls.jpg
Some homebrew is alright I guess. I liked that card-based caster, the revised WIOT4E monk, pugilist is okay even if it doesn't bring anything interesting to the table.
>>
>>50402792
Community DMs Guild MEGA, underneath the official MEGA in the OP.
>>
>>50402789
Have you considered making a new big bad and taking the story in a different direction?
>>
>Protector Aasimar Zealot Barbarian walking around with no shirt and a helmet on to hide the angelic features
Goddam that would be cool, I'm usually against anti-snowflake races but I wanna do this now
>>
>>50402841
>anti-snowflake
>Special, exceptionally beautiful humans with personal spirit guides from the upper planes
>*anti* snowflake
U wat m8?
>>
>>50402928
I accidentally double negative. Meant "usually against snowflake races"
>>
Roast me /5eg/.
>>
>>50401612
there's a number of monkey species in kobold's tome of beasts
>>
>>50402807
>Card based caster
Could somebody post this? Never heard of this
>>
>>50403109
Not a huge fan of the Brew itself, nothing against it it just didn't jump out at me, but the innate sorcery variant kind of shocked me that I never thought of it: why do sorcerers need a focus? I'm throwing that in my games
>>
>>50403109
Bit wank innit
>>
>>50403109
1. Fire Affinity is strictly better than the Draconic feature of the same level
2. Metallic Fusion is an additional 6th-level feature on top of an overpowered feature
3. Flickering Form is pretty damn powerful for a 14th-level ability
4. Scorching Blaze should cost more sorcery points
>>
>>50403191
I love being awake when the Brits are posting

>>50403172
Seconded
>>
Hey, guys. We are starting a new campaign and the DM has allowed for us to play, races from Volo's. I want to play some of them. Anyone have any suggestions as to what?
>>
>>50403204
Yuan-Ti
>>
>>50403204
Hobgoblin wizard
>>
>>50403233
http://niceme.me
>>
>>50403185
I know, right!

>>50403192
>1. Fire Affinity is strictly better than the Draconic feature of the same level
Yes, I wanted this path to be both blasty and a bit more limited/specialized than Draconic. The lvl 1 is worse though (no extra survivability), so maybe it balances out?
>2. Metallic Fusion is an additional 6th-level feature on top of an overpowered feature
I tried to balance this against Storm Sorcerer in SCAG. They too get a combat ability and a non-combat utility ability at 6th.
>3. Flickering Form is pretty damn powerful for a 14th-level ability
Yes, maybe. Do you think removing the blinding thing would neaten it up?
>4. Scorching Blaze should cost more sorcery points
You're probably right, even though one use is not super powerful (about the same damage as lvl 1 Burning Hands, plus the movement), it's way too spammable with the amount of sorcery points at that level.
>>
>>50399614
Masque of the Read Death would be fun, but a lot of work.
(It was a Ravenloft spinoff set on 19th-century Earth, with lots of rule changes to keep magic weird, mysterious, secret and dangerous.)
>>
>>50401682
But xorns do.

And really, when is your campaign gonna run into more illithid than xorns?

Use more xorns, DMs.
>>
>>50402079
Just cauterize the wound.
>>
>>50403275
1. It's not really limited if it's strictly better than a draconic sorcerer with a fire ancestry. I do agree that the level 1 is weaker; perhaps move some power there from other levels.
2. Yes, but the storm sorcerer's is shite. I guess the pyro's is pretty situational, so I'll call it even. Fire Affinity is still too strong.
3. No, because it's the ability to be invulnerable that makes it strong. No other sorcerer archetype gets something that incredibly useful at level 14. Storm just gets a retaliation.
4. Yeah, I'd make it 2 or 3.

Look at sorcerers as a whole. They don't really derive all that much raw power from their archetypes - mostly they get utility, flavor, and some defensive ability.
>>
>>50398839
has anybody here picked up

http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/171305

or

http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172614

?

are they any good?
>>
>>50403349
>http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172614
>Won't mess with combat balance
>Move at full speed while prone
And
>Smell innocence: you can detect children, virgins, and pets
If those are the examples they chose to put on display, I shudder to think what lies within the document. But if you're willing to sift through the whole thing it'll probably be worth one dollar.
>>
>>50403172
>>50403197
It's a little hard to fit into some settings.
Also, some of the abilities are quite daring such as 'reverse order', and 'all in' definitely needs some changes. It also technically allows you to cast two full action spells in a turn if you're lucky to draw cards for it. Also, it doesn't work very well for online play. Finally, I don't think it brings much more to the table because its main feature is spellcasting and all the spells are already existing spells.

However, it's still a fun concept, I might call it slightly underpowered and I like how it puts more thought into planning your spellcasting.
>>
How viable can a party theoretically be without a designated healer? I've never run a campaign where not even one of my players went Cleric or Druid before, so I'm really unsure on how to scale the difficulty curve for this.

For reference, my party is gonna be:
>Tiefling PotB Warlock
>Half-Elf Arcane Trickster Rogue
>Undefined Hill Dwarf Paladin
>Orc Wolf Totem Barbarian

I suppose in a best case scenario the Pally could still turn into a bit of a healer and cover for the group's deficiency there a bit?
>>
File: redsteel.jpg (68KB, 472x613px) Image search: [Google]
redsteel.jpg
68KB, 472x613px
>>50402438
Red Steel takes place on the Savage Coast of the Mystara setting. Several different ancient curses and magical effects are at work there, which all accidentally play off each other.

The background is that an ancient bunch of war-like wizarding assholes made this magical shit that would give super powers to their troops, but it kind of got out and will give super powers to anyone who just hangs around long enough. They also made a magical metal (cinnabryl) to make cool weapons out of.

Separately, a God (Immortal) blew them all up for being assholes, and laid a curse on the place to catch any he missed. Anyone who seeks power will be doomed by it. Unfortunately, he wasn't very specific, and hundreds of years later tons of other people moved inot the area, so it really doesn't matter by which means you gain power (intentionally or unwillingly) or what you intend to use it for, you're "doomed" either way.

Later than even those two things, a different God got pissed that some evil spiders brain-wiped an entire race of cool guys and tried to hunt them to extinction. Said God cracks open one of his bones and sprays blood everywhere, coating everything in a fine dust/mist (vermeil) which blocks Divination/scrying magic, Detect Magic readings, and a whole bunch of other bullshit the evil spider wizards could have used to hunt down the remaining cool guys. This also accidentally bound the first two curses together.
>>
File: savagecoast.jpg (149KB, 434x720px) Image search: [Google]
savagecoast.jpg
149KB, 434x720px
>>50403456
No one living knows all those stories.

Regardless, living in the Savage Coast gets you covered in vermeil, which turns you red (skin and hair and eyes), and you now suffer the "Red Curse". You develop a "Legacy", a super power (like producing poison, being able to stretch your limbs, teleportation, being coated in stony skin, shooting fire out of every orifice), but are consequently "doomed" by it. One of your stats takes a -1 penalty depending on which Legacy you gain, and you always sprout some physical deformity linked to the Legacy (of the above: fangs/a scorpion's tail, your hair or fingers become useless stretch noodles, your head/hands randomly teleport a foot away from you and shrink back towards your body over the next minute, you have rocks all over you and it makes it hard to wear clothes and armor, and you spontaneously ignite things around you like paper and your clothing smoulders). Any deformities related to your power (if you gain flight, you get wings; if you gain perception, you get eyes on the sides and back of your head, for instance) do absolutely nothing for you unless you're activating the Legacy (so said wings are incapable of granting you flight and only get in the way; said eyes are blind until activated).

Physical degeneration in the penalized stat linked to your Legacy will continue to develop until you die of the Curse, but wearing a magical metal named cinnabryl will halt the progress (and slowly reverse damage down to the minimum -1). Cinnabryl needs close contact, so you can't just have a lump in your backpack; most people carry amulets or jewelry of the stuff. It also loses potency over time, so you constantly need to get a new amulet or whatever. The metal loses weight with its potency, so skilled mages and artisans can tell you exactly how long a given hunk of jewelry will last. Everyone around you might be an asshole, but almost no one is ever going to fuck you on misrepresenting the weight/duration of cinnabryl.
>>
>>50403109
>level 1
Provides no actual sensible benefits, only really fluff benefits such as 'instead of having a components pouch or holding an arcane focus, you can cast without those' which is almost never useful for anything but fluff. More spells options later on are mostly fluff but do have some use, even though that's technically not entirely a level 1 feature.

>level 6
Fire affinity is odd, because compared to the fire dragon sorcerer ability you can choose to add the extra damage at any time, rather than on the first initial roll if there is one. Probably slightly better, but might as well just be the same.
Fire resistance is fine, since you're not getitng other dragon sorcerer features.
>metallic fusion
Interesting, if a little powerful for at-will.
Instead, make them spend a spell slot in order to do that, probably.

>flickering form
A bit weird, honestly. But it's fine enough, I guess you'd hide in someone's torch as they walk in.
At the very least allow it to last longer than a single turn.

>level 18
Immunities are dangerous, but it is level 18 so you can probably get away with it anyway.
I think the rest of scorching blaze is perfectly fine, though. I wouldn't disagree that two or three sorcery points might be a better cost but it's not like dragon sorcerers don't already fly everywhere.

There's a fair bit of overlap with fire dragon sorcerer to be honest, but it's balanced enough with respect to it considering dragon sorcerer is pretty good.
>>
>>50403448
Even if the Pally goes full in on his healing abilities they're still gonna feel fragile. I'd recommend being either generous by giving them plenty of resting opportunities, maybe introducing buffed healing potions a few levels in, or just making a fairly easy campaign.
>>
Is taking Skilled as a human fighter worth it? I don't really care about damage, I just want some versatility without multiclassing or casting.
>>
>>50403408
im particulsrly interested in the notion of a classless 5e, if its done well. like, a sort of "5e meets m&m" would be very nice.
>>
>>50403448
Paladins make perfectly fine healers.

You only need healing to get people up from unconscious, anyway.

Also I hope that hill dwarf is going to go dexterity because honestly that's what hilldwarf+plate armour is for.

Good on that orc for choosing wolf.

>tiefling
>pact of the blade
Please no.

Also undying light warlock can fulfill a healing role very effectively later on.

Anyway, paladin can also provide buffs such as 'bless' and some very powerful auras.

Overall the party make-up seems brilliant except for that fucking warlock who would be better playing a wizard, bard or honestly a fucking real warlock that isn't making a fucking joke out of themselves.

Your main danger is lacking revival spells such as revivify, but otherwise you'll be fine.
>>
>>50403456
>>50403491
I always really liked the idea of Red Steel as a setting. Specifically the random abilities you could get from the landscape.
>>
File: legacies.png (340KB, 878x483px) Image search: [Google]
legacies.png
340KB, 878x483px
>>50403491
Cinnabryl also deforms people who aren't suffering from the Red Curse, so no one takes it out of the Savage Coast. Some people also make alchemical potions and stick them in specialized cinnabryl amulets, and over the course of the cinnabryl's depletion, the potion is transformed into a new substance called "crimson essence" which temporarily grants another Legacy (though there's a group of guys called Inheritors who can do it permanently).

When cinnabryl loses its potency, it becomes red steel, which is a magical metal that can hurt creatures like other magical shit. It's light, hard, durable, and armor made out of it will reshape itself if you activate a goofy body-fucking Legacy. Red steel is safe to take out of the Coast and everyone would love to have some of the stuff, but a group of buttheads who love Legacies called the Inheritors keep that shit locked down tight.

There's also gunpowder, which is made (partially) with a type of pre-depleted cinnabryl. Explosions of this stuff react nastily with normal cinnabryl, but it's not really a problem for anyone except Inheritors, whose weird connection to the metal causes large chunks of it to rapidly deplete and fuck the Inheritor big-time.

And as >>50403517 kind of alluded, different areas of the Coast tended to give you different Legacies, though there was still a good deal of randomness.
>>
>>50403506
I would personally say to take another of the more specific talent feats like Observent or Actor or something, but it depends on what you already have and what you're going for.

Skilled might not be bad if you just want more variety of skills, but getting feats to boost the ones you do have in special ways might be more handy.
>>
>>50403432
Other than Trump Card making no sense whatsoever, this seems pretty damn cool. I'm imagining the cards floating around Twisted Fate-style.
Don't think I'll ever get to play it, but if I can convince any GM, I'll definitely use my Tarokka deck.
>>
>>50403346
I don't want to be a living head, I want to be the body, like the headless horseman.
>>
>>50403586
Yeah, they need to swap out the surprise round stuff, because honestly that's something that should be left to archetypes such as assassin since it's situational and often campaign-dependent.
>>
>>50403592
I was referring to losing your dick (also known as a head).

There are tons of eunuchs in D&D.
>>
>>50403516
Cheers for the feedback! And I actually meant to type PotC for the Warlock, my bad.
>>
>>50403633
>pact of the chain

That's the difference between saying
'I want to fucking kill myself'
and
'I want to fucking go to sleep'

You have to be more careful.
>>
>>50403742
Pact of the chain is one of the best features in the game.

You seem like a moron.
>>
>>50402079
Spare the Dying auto stabilises the injured. Have someone cut your head off, slowly, making sure they never do more that your max HP in one round.
>>
>>50403742
I'll keep that in mind in the future
>>
>>50403771
I think we was saying PotB was the "I want to fucking kill myself" option.
>>
>>50403498
Thanks for your feedback.
>level 1
Sure, it's relatively weak, but a free cantrip and a language is something, right? All Storm gets is bonus action to move 10ft when casting a spell.
>Fire affinity is odd, because compared to the fire dragon sorcerer ability you can choose to add the extra damage at any time, rather than on the first initial roll if there is one.
The PHB errata specifies that it is just one roll per spell (to clarify that it doesn't hit on each Scorching Ray beam, for example).
>Interesting, if a little powerful for at-will. Instead, make them spend a spell slot in order to do that, probably.
Maybe, is there a precedent for this kind of mechanic?
>Immunities are dangerous, but it is level 18 so you can probably get away with it anyway.
Yeah, Storm Sorc gets both thunder and lightning, and this is only one type instead of two. I think fire is the most common one to gain from other sources too.
>>
>>50403771
If you were reading, you'd realize this is
>pact of the blade
'I want to fucking kill myself'
>pact of the chain
'something sensible'
>>
>>50403792
Ah it seemed like you were saying chain was boring.
>>
>>50403347
>1. It's not really limited if it's strictly better than a draconic sorcerer with a fire ancestry.
It's kind of limited in the sense that fire is considered the most common resistance available, so in a certain sense (option space) it's less valuable than free choice of damage type.
I kind of don't want the fiddliness of having to spend sorcery points. Permanent resistance is simple and unobtrusive. How would you feel about it using up a reaction to activate?

>3. No, because it's the ability to be invulnerable that makes it strong.
That part is basically like the 3rd level spell Blink though - and this is only for one round.

>2. Yes, but the storm sorcerer's is shite. I guess the pyro's is pretty situational, so I'll call it even.
I mean, this is "shite" too, right, I imagine there's probably one time per campaign when you're locked in a prison with iron bars and no one guarding you. Still it's an opportunity to get a little creative.

>4. Yeah, I'd make it 2 or 3.
Deal.

>Look at sorcerers as a whole. They don't really derive all that much raw power from their archetypes - mostly they get utility, flavor, and some defensive ability.
That is deliberate in this case. I'm making a whole series of these elementalist archetypes, and this one is fire-based so it's more tilted towards raw power. My earth and water ones will be more focused on defense and utility, respectively. I want there to be contrast between them.
>>
Why is Pact of the Blade considered bad?
>>
>>50403821
It can be one of the highest damaging builds in the game, but only if you pay a huge feat and invocations tax. If you don't pay the tax, using you blade will actually lower your damage compared to eldritch blast.

It offers very little out of combat utility, while chain and Tome offer tons.
>>
>>50403821
turn back now while you still can
>>
>>50403786
>level 1
Free cantrip and language is more fluff than anything, really. More options, but it won't really increase their combat effectiveness at all.

Sure, 10ft every time you cast a spell, but at least it's something.
I'd probably add in something to the same extent the lightning sorc gets.
But if we're looking at core features, wild mages get the chance to instantly kill themselves and dragon sorcerers get free mage armour and +1 hp/level for every sorcerer level, along with a language and expertise in charisma when it comes to talking to dragons.
So, I don't really know.
Something that still carries that fluff but actually provides more of a benefit, such as the potential to ingite enemies on a crit (which wouldn't be very powerful, considering that requires an attack roll, requires a crit and requires the enemy to still be alive afterwards).

>level 6
The way the errata says it I believe means you cannot add it after the first damage roll, but I can't remember. Well, whatever, you don't have to change the wording, the wording makes more sense than the PHB anyway.

I'm not sure if there's a thing for the metallic melting thing, but I do know that rangers can spend a spell slot to activate one of their class features. Check out 'primeval awareness'.
Probably make it so you need higher spell slots for more difficult materials.
(Continuing in another post..)

>>50403803
It was pretty vague and metaphoric. Also, fuck familiars.
>>
>>50403786
(Continued)
>level 18
Fire immunity is probably fine, but the lightning/thunder immunity is one of the non-core features I suppose. Also, lightning/thunder probably shows up less collectively than fire.. Or perhaps more? I'm not really sure. You can already get thunder immunity through the 'silence' spell.

I'm just trying to think if it breaks anything. For example, some things deal damage to yourself or rely on you always being at least slightly hurt by them, and immunity could result in some weird situations, aside from the power level being above the norm for 5e.

In the end though, I think it's alright. It shouldn't break anything, it's just 5e likes to avoid immunities because low power levels.

So, since it's level 18, it's fine as a feature. If it was a low level feature that wouldn't be fine. Immunity is fun anyway, and of all the things that would get immunity a sorcerer dedicated to fire makes the most sense.
>>
>>50403806
1. It's limited in choices at character creation, but not in power later on. Honestly, though, if you don't give the pyro extra power at level 1 it's okay.

3. The difference is that Blink is unreliable. But that's still a good point.
IDK, the power just feels slightly contrived.

I understand the need for contrast, but you have to be careful when every other archetype does things in a certain way. It suggests that the design intent was for power to come from the class, and that putting too much power in the archetype is overloading it a bit.

FWIW, I think the archetype is pretty cool and more-or-less okay. I'm just trying to help you refine it.
>>
>>50403894
Sure my dude, I appreciate it!
>>
>>50403109
Is there a style guide available for making these?
>>
>>50403109
I would make it so the 14th level ability allows you to keep teleporting between flames as long as you concentrate, and allows you to cast fire bolt while inside the flames, but remove the blinding effect. The 6th level ability should be 10 minutes and require concentration throughout like a ritual to be more balanced for at will. At 1st level let them change any spell's damage type to fire when they select it as a spell known in addition to what you currently give them. Then I feel it would be perfect(just my opinion though)
>>
So my party's champion 6/barb 1 now has a legendary greatsword. +2, +2d6 damage, 20 STR., with GWF, GWM and raging:
>+10 to hit
>8d6+18 with 2 attacks (avg 48.66)
or
>+5 to hit
>8d6+38 (avg 68.66)

Add on top of that a possible bonus attack from critting (happens somewhat often because champion) or killing (not many things can survive that onslaught) for another 24.33~34.33 and maybe even one more from Haste, and this guy basically hits like a train. Holy shit.
>>
>>50403975
Not really, I made a template trying to mimic the Unearthed Arcana styles. Fonts are Cambria and Calibri.

>>50403995
>The 6th level ability should be 10 minutes and require concentration throughout like a ritual to be more balanced for at will.
It does require concentration.
>>
File: fb_img_1447023957580.jpg (41KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
fb_img_1447023957580.jpg
41KB, 500x625px
Gnome or Halfling

Need to decide if I can wank to this or not
>>
>>50404050
>pink hair
>boots
Obviously gnome.
>>
Would a Harry Potter universe be possible with 5e?
>>
>>50404073
Harry Potter does not have vancian magic.
>>
>>50404017
>+2, double damage, 20 str
Is your DM perchance braindead?

>>50404050
By the time you're done wondering I'm already finished.
>>
>>50404090
>By the time you're done wondering I'm already finished.

Risky, I don't wank to Halflings
>>
>>50404073
It's be difficult. I'd say you'd have to have everyone play Warlocks, as that gets you familiars, cantrips, and other suitable things like that. Most Harry potter magic is at-will, so cantrips and invocations are the best option.

It's not the best fit by any means, but Warloxk with some tweaking is the nest I think you'll get.
>>
>>50404138
>>50404085
>>50404138
A warlock would be just the thing actually, the perfect fit. They probably don't need to have Patrons, unless that Patron is their House.
>>
Okay, this is the other one, probably a bit weirder.
>>
>>50404188
What about the wand wankery?
>>
>>50404073
I don't think it would be entirely possible.

I think the main draw towards the sort of magic in harry potter is less it's mechanics and more the rustic or homely sort of aesthetic.
>>
>>50404090
It's from the module we're playing, Hoard of the Dragon Queen.
>20 str
He's got 6 levels of fighter, having 20 str at that point seems to be pretty normal.
>>
>>50404218
Maybe tie spells with casting only through their wands, at least in the lower levels; the higher levelled warlocks are able to cast wandless spells.

The wand could be the focus through which the spells have to be cast for some and not for others, at least until they get more powerful.
>>
>>50404218
>>50404276
Only way is to make their wand their Pact.

>>50404226
It could be possible, brah, with refluffling or rejiggling of the warlock class.
>>
>>50404306
Another* way is to make their wand their Pact.

Pact of the Unfettered would be wandless magic. But you can only take that at higher levels.
>>
>>50404218
Make it an arcane focus.
>>
>>50404322
This is so Freudian it hurts. The magic is literally ejected out of a length of wood when the wielder does certain jerking motions.
>>
Why is Blade Master so bad but Fell Handed so good?
>>
freud is shit
>>
>>50404356
But you have to save against blindness and hairy palms.
>>
File: 1479697284514.jpg (249KB, 1131x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1479697284514.jpg
249KB, 1131x1600px
Posted this last thread, but wanted some more opinions on it. Made a homebrew Blade cantrip based on necrotic damage, GM already approved it but I want to make sure it isn't much more powerful than say Green-Flame Blade. Any help is appreciated.

Blood-Thirsting Blade
Cantrip Evocation(Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M(A weapon)
Duration: Instantaneous

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects, and begins to bleed until the end of your next turn. If the target willingly attacks before then, it immediately takes 1d6 necrotic damage.

This spell’s damage increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 necrotic damage to the target, and the damage the target takes for attacking increases to 2d6. The damage rolls increase by 1d8 and 1d6 at 11th level and 17th level.
>>
>>50404435
>comparing to Green-Flame Blade

No.

You compare to True Strike
>>
>>50404192
1. Hard as Rock is extremely overpowered. With mage armor, you have a sorcerer who can reach AC 17+dex at level 1. This is unacceptable.
2. Terra Firma is hard to give to allies unless you're all targeted at once. Consider lending it to allies as a reaction.
3. Burrow isn't OP per se but can be tricky as a player ability. You can leave it as is, but it's worth noting.
4. Crystalline Essence is better described as superdense rock or diamond rather than metal.

TL;DR: nerf Hard as a Rock the FUCK down and it's good.

>>50404246
A +5 Str bonus after only 1 ASI is higher than expected for point-buy or standard array. Not by a lot, perhaps, but when combined with a +2 weapon, it's pretty damn broken for level 6.
Also, did I mention double damage? Because it does double damage.
>>
>>50404353
Anyone can use any arcane focus to cast spells. HP universe obsesses over wands like no other. And there's no staves, rings, scepters, orbs, rods and so on or other foci, only wands, even in Africa and Japan.
>>
>>50404448
Fighters have another ASI at level 6, anon. They're the only class that can reach 20 with point buy that early. It's absolutely broken for our level (7th btw), aye, but it's by the book, I checked the magic items. The sword is also sentient and clearly evil, so our DM might use it to fuck with him at some point.
>>
>>50404017
>+2d6 damage along with GWF on a fighter, the class focused most on getting as many attack as possible, along with having crits which only work alongside damage dice
What the fuck is your DM even fucking doing
Is he drunk?

Anyway, let me just test this
>average 48.66
By my calculations, they should be dealing 33.33 (8d6 with GWF) + 18 = 51.33 damage with +10 to hit.
Not considering AC.

Obviously, the +5 to hit gives 71.33 damage.

If they were a battlemaster, they could make extra attacks using thing such as riposte.

Oh, and as the other said, did the DM let them fucking roll for stats?
>>
>>50404541
The DM is clearly high as balls, but I have no idea where you're getting your damage calculations.
>>
File: 1d6 with GWF.png (14KB, 797x289px) Image search: [Google]
1d6 with GWF.png
14KB, 797x289px
>>50404561
>>
>>50404575
I still have no idea where you're getting 71.33. Can you go over the whole process? (Also, I don't need to see a calculator snapshot. Show me what the math is and I'll trust your calculations.)
>>
>>50404541
>did the DM let them fucking roll for stats?
I let my group roll for stats. Is that bad? Of course I still make minor adjustments if they rolled very low or very high on everything, but in my books 20 str and 6 cha is still acceptable for a goliath at the start.
>>
>>50400508

Agreed with >>50402085. Like they said, you're better off just changing the fluff/asking to change the fluff for your special snowflake instead of thinking up new mechanics that don't really need to exist.
>>
>>50404541
It's 2d6 slashing + 2d6 necrotic, GWF doesn't apply to rerolling necrotic damage, or so it was ruled. I didn't account for AC or anything, but if I'm not mistaken avg of 2d6 with the fighting style is 8.33. So 2d6 (8.33) + 2d6 (7) +5+2+2+10 per attack.

Oh, I guess you're wondering how he has both 20 str and GWM at level 6: he's a human variant. We did rolled for stats, but he could have it either way.
>>
>>50400508
Wait wait, I think I saw a witcher homebrew somewhere that didn't suck complete monkey testicles. Let me see if I can dig it up.
>>
>>50404648
>Dnd 5e is deliberate left open to encourage homebrew
>Standard response by grogs in 5eg is "no"

I'm starting to see how we went from the excellent playtest to the shit that was the official release.
>>
>>50404699

It's also open to simply reinterpreting the fluff. Why make some bullshit mechanics for it when you could just fluff it as how they cast their spells? Spells prepared = potions you brew at the start of the day

casting a spell = drinking a potion

spell slots = potion limit

bam, done, easy. If you want it to mix in sword fighting to be more like the Witcher, make them a blade singer. It doesn't really need a home brew class.
>>
File: Bullshit weapondry.png (55KB, 1229x690px) Image search: [Google]
Bullshit weapondry.png
55KB, 1229x690px
>>50404602
3+4+5+6/4 is the average of non-GWF applicable hits. There is a 2/3 chance of this occuring, and thus this average is multiplied by such.
There is a 1/3 chance you roll a 1 or a 2. You reroll these dice.
When you reroll them, you take the average of a normal 1d6 roll, 1+2+3+4+5+6/6, and multiply that by (1/3) as that's the chance of that occuring.
4.16 damage / d6.

>>50404633
It's not terrible, but I personally don't recommend it for longer campaigns.
It's just giving some people free ASIs and some people the opposite on an arbitrary basis.
It honestly doesn't do much to develop a character when you can assign the stats, it just sets an arbitrary 'okay, you get to play a stronger character than Dave for this campaign, have fun.'

The PHB only recommends standard array and point buy, and doesn't allow characters to start with over 15 in a stat. This is important due to bounded accuracy.
However, it does make it harder for people to pick feats, but eh. Also makes it harder on MAD classes, but paladins are pretty great anyway.

>>50404657
RAW is that GWF applies to all damage dice due to the attack.
RAI is that GWF applies to only damage dice of the weapon, may or may not include magical weapon extra damage, not sure.
Rules as DM is that this is fucking stupid. I don't blame them for reducing his average damage per hit by 1.33, but it's honestly not a fucking problem.

I might have made a mistake on this graph, but considering it's very simple it should be correct.
>>
>>50400508
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwDTTM3IwwwlUHRFN0l4V3pITVE/view
If this doesn't work for you, I'd recommend >>50404648.
>>
>>50404192
>>50404448
What I'd like to do is make Hard as a Rock significantly powerful, but something that you're not getting EVERY turn. Basically, increase the opportunity cost of being in a defensive stance. I suppose it's too easy for a caster to stay put. Any ideas?

I tried looking at the 1st level spell Shield, which gives +5 AC, but of course it costs a slot.

I guess a +2 would be okay. Essentially a free shield.
>>
>>50404728
Splendid. I'm still not seeing 71.33.
>>
>>50404192
>>50404448
>>50404737
What about "your AC equals 14 + your Dexterity modifier until the start of your next turn"? No stacking with Mage Armor.
>>
>>50404737
Shield only applies for 1 round per spell slot, and also wastes your reaction. Hard as a Rock gives it potentially every round (how often does the spellcaster with the 120-foot cantrip need to move, anyway?) without expending any resources.
> What I'd like to do is make Hard as a Rock significantly powerful, but something that you're not getting EVERY turn.
Even if you did this right, this is simply not good design for a 1st-level feature. It should be something basic that happens a lot and isn't very powerful.
As before, I understand your need to differentiate the different archetypes, but you can only do so much.
>>
>>50404771
AC calculations shouldn't be temporary; this is apparent from the base game's design. (Mage Armor doesn't count as temporary in this case; it lasts 8 hours)
>>
>>50404728
>>50404017
Oh, also, I'd like to point out that the DM giving so much damage per attack is practically trying to invalidate GWM.

When you deal lots of damage per attack, GWM loses its value because to-hit chance matters more.

It's probably fine as a situational thing for when you have something that means you know you're very likely to hit (low AC, advantage, war cleric's channel divinity, etc) but honestly it's against the point of a fighter.
A fighter is supposed to hit a lot of times and deal less damage with each hit.
Giving a fighter a massive per hit damage boost is as retarded as giving a paladin lots of extra hits.

My excel sheet there didn't take into account the fact the 2d6 necrotic isn't rerollable, though.

>>50404749
(4.16666666667*8)+38 = 71.33

It's actually 2.66 less if the necrotic damage isn't GWF rerolled, which gives you what >>50404017
had originally stated of 68.66.

I believe technically GWF would apply to an extra +2d6 caused by the weapon, but not something such as improved divine smite, if you're going by RAI. Technically by RAW it definitely 100% would apply.
>>
>>50404718
5e is a mechanical wasteland. Making homebrew mechanics is basically mandatory for making the game have any lifetime for people with two almonds to rub together.
>>
>>50404749
He mathed as if every 2d6 averaged to 8.33. So 8d6 + 10(2*str) + 4(2*magic bonus) + 4(2*rage) + 20(2*GWM) = 33.32+38 = 71.32
>>
>>50404800
I don't know which were the DM's intentions, but it seems like the legendary sword was part of the module as written. I'm not complaining also, the dude has a lot of fun wrecking shit up and it definitely helps since apparently we have to fight a vampire and an adult white dragon at level 7.
>>
>>50404854
I had a DM do something very similar (+ to hit, + to damage and double damage dice) but it was actually justified as without it the character was honestly rather useless due to the fact everybody had rolled stats.

Honestly, though, it feels pretty dumb.
They found the most boring class with boring archetype and decided to make them even more boring by making them roll even higher numbers and even further take away the thought process of 'Should I use GWM's ability'? by making GWM almost redundant in comparison to anything else that gives bonus attacks.

Maybe the sword will blow up or something, I don't know.

Giving blatant power creep and making players fight tougher monsters is more of a pathfinder thing.

I mean, I wouldn't be concerned unless anybody else is playing a 'I like rolling high numbers' character in that campaighn, though.
>>
File: mountain_valley.jpg (231KB, 1600x1011px) Image search: [Google]
mountain_valley.jpg
231KB, 1600x1011px
Tell me about the setting you're using. Are you playing Forgotten Realms since that's the main thing published for Fifth Edition? Are you playing a published setting from a previous edition? Do you have a setting of your own creation?

I'm not ready to start a campaign, but I'm planning a mash-up of parts of the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and stuff of my own creation. I'm mostly pulling gods/cosmology from the Realms and Greyhawk.
>>
i'm making my own setting, with inspiration pulled from Dark Sun, and the video game series Monster Hunter, remember, the key word is "inspiration" not drawing directly from it.
>>
>>50404885
5e is my first system, so I wouldn't know. Thing is, he seems to be sticking to the module, an official adventure published by WotC for 5e. So I don't really know what to make of your post.
>>
>>50399488
The dubs banish you from this board Virt
>>
>>50404917
My next game will be in the Forgotten Realms, but I do have my own setting that's sort of based on the idea of "what if I took a standard D&D world, but just advanced everyone 200 or so years"?

So, like, Lolth's grip on the drow is falling apart. Dragons have started claiming freeholds and ruling them openly as independent city-states. Dwarves and elves are stagnant and their nations are falling behind technologically, while halflings live as they always have as wanderers and traders. Humans, gnomes, and kobolds are inventing all sorts of interesting technology. Goblinoids are getting organized and trying to found their own nation; while orcs are dwindling in number due to horde after horde being smashed; a lot are moving south and trying to start living semi-peacefully but are mostly being exploited by others. Oh, and a New World has been discovered, of course.
>>
>>50405193
Isn't FR + 200 basically 4e era FR? Like, Neverwinter (the mmo) era?
>>
>>50405154
I'm just being a faggot and yelling about how people are doing it wrong as usual, though honestly it does feel pretty stupid, raging about aside.
The PHB is built around assuming that you're unlikely to get a lot of powerful magical items, and 5e is supposed to be low-powered, so the only real reason I would think they should put that in an official published adventure is either because it's happy-go-lucky (I've heard of other items which seem pretty broken, such as early on you can can a magic item that has ressurection powers even more powerful than the level 9 spell true ressurection) or because it's a temporary thing required to overcome some sort of challenge, or because whoever made the adventure got bored/drunk/whatever.
>>
>>50404917

My current game started in Thunder Rift, spilled out into the Hollow World when they hit level 3, and they're working their way back towards the surface now. Which depending on which path they take will end up being Mystara, an alternate history Europe circa WW1 (the Arrowsmith setting), or Faerun by way of Moonshae.

They could also end up on the Moon. They haven't investigated far enough to find that portal yet.
>>
>>50400759
>roleplaying
You're playing RPGs wrong, mang. That's not how we do things here in /5eg/
>>
Need some forest maps to use in a adventure that will involve green hags, can someone share what you guys have?
>>
File: Rust-Monster-Small.jpg (712KB, 1600x1140px) Image search: [Google]
Rust-Monster-Small.jpg
712KB, 1600x1140px
Hey /5e/ general.

My barbarian managed to semi-tame 5 rust monsters and lead them back to the home base in the city as pets. The DM said he wouldn't allow me to take them into combat so they're stuck in their stone walled area.

What are some things I could use the rust monsters for a business? Me and another player thought to open up a petting zoo/animal attraction so villagers could feed them scrap metal for a fee. Another idea is to rent them to the local miners to locate ores.

Can you guys come up with any creative uses for my new little Rusties?
>>
>>50405626
There's probably not a lot of use.

Villagers will be adverse to being around monsters.

They wouldn't be able to tell you things like quantity of quality of ore, and mines likely already follow what they're looking for. Unless it's an uneven vein, I imagine a guy with a map and a bit of skill would do a better job of working out where to dig.
That said, they might help with exploratory digging where they need to locate an abundance of ore in the first place, if you can train them to only go after economically viable rocks.

I don't know if rust monsters can feed off of any iron (which means almost the entire fucking planet) or only certain sorts that can be economically smelted without use of electric methods.

The most recommendable thing I can think of is sneaking them into your arch enemy's basement.
>>
>>50405626
Opening locks that no one can find the key for

Prison breaks
>>
>>50405705
>Villagers will be adverse to being around monsters
Assuming you mean "averse," I don't see any reason for this to be the case. Rust monsters are small and fairly weak, and if you're not carrying metal they're practically harmless.

>>50405626
Scrap disposal would be interesting if there was indeed useless scrap metal to get rid of. I often operate under the assumption that blacksmiths can probably redeem or use a lot of "scrap" metal, so consider whether there's enough demand for the service.

I like >>50405732's idea of having them eat locks, though. Either rent them to a thieves' guild or act as a proper locksmith service. Or both.

They can also help with chastity belts.
>>
>>50399948
try an evil enchanter.....
who is racist againts elves for obvious reasons.
{fucking lewd bastards}
>>
>>50400330
so inbetween studded leather and scale.
>>
can anyone with >11 int learn magic as a wizard?
it's an important detail in my backstory because i wanna be a warlock who made a pact with the devil to make his father happy after he spent his entire life trying to gain any magical power.
>>
>>50400867
+1
5ed is nicely solid.
>>
>>50405956
If I got your question right you can't, you need at least 13 of int to do that, see page 163 of the phb.
>>
>>50406012
>>50405956

i am sorry if you misunderstood;
my question is:
by lore, can any regular human in the world of D&D with high enough int score ( be it 11 or 13 who cares) learn magic just like a wizard? or does he need an innate talent to do so?
>>
>>50405888
Depends on how high a fantasy setting it is.

High fantasy, it's like trying to get miners to work alongside black widows.
Low fantasy, it's like trying to get miners to work alongside ... Well, monsters.

People are afraid of even spiders that can't hurt them, yet alone thinking about spiders that can hurt them, yet alone thinking about spiders that could easily kill them.

The lock-breaking thing sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure if they actually chew through metal or just slowly corrode it or whatever, but you could probably sell them to some criminals.

>>50405956
Technically you can make a 3 int wizard.
You just can't multiclass out of wizard if you do that, and you'd have to have some sort of crazy explanation.
>>
>>50406050
Wizards are people who learned magic via study. Warlocks make a pact to gain innate ability, sorcs are born with innate ability
>>
>>50406050
Well.

Wizards are those guys who study the magic for years in order to learn and dominate the thing, so I think that any person could do it with the proper time.

Sorcerers however don't have to study, they have a inate magic talent.
>>
>>50406050
The lore isn't specific to an npcs abilities and stats.

Also by the book, you can start as a wizard with an abysmal int score, you just wouldn't be able to multiclass.
>>
>>50406050
Theoretically, yes. This isn't Harry Potter where magic is genetic.

>>50406087
"Monster" is a highly-subjective term. People work with dogs that could maul them to death on a regular basis. They work with horses that can crush their skulls if they get upset. They can handle a rust monster.
Spiders are scary partially because they're small, you know.
>>
>>50406087
I don't think reality works this way ever, but if you had large veins of cheap metal carrying valuable gemstones a team of rust monsters would uncover them right quick. Might work in a fantasy setting, if you declare something specifically works that way.
>>
Guys where do you find cool maps? I'm trying to find some forest maps but they all are almost the same.
>>
>>50406176
Oh duh, a far more plausible scenario is they can't eat mithril or adamantium so you use them to remove the chaff.
>>
>>50402113
This is just fucking hilarious. Imagine a barbarian running around killing people like a literal headless chicken then suddenly dropping dead after a few minutes.
>>
>>50406215
I search Deviantart, Dundjinni, r/battlemaps and google image search.
If you're willing to pay money, Heroicmaps usually has modular-style maps of various environments.
>>
>>50406215
Draw them yourself
>>
>>50404771
That would be a bit redundant if worded that way. Mage Armor counts as an AC calculation and the only thing that stacks with it to begin with is a shield and the Shield spell.
>>
>>50402756
Apart from what >>50402779 said I would rule that Detect Magic only sees what you can Dispel, Remove, etc... So creatures that are invisible by their own means (for example Poltergeists) wouldn't be revealed.
>>
>>50406137
Dogs are mundane things that are everywhere and most people are used to them.

Like I said, it depends on the fantasy setting.
In low fantasy, people are not as used to monsters, and seeing a dragon is enough to make people go 'OH FUCK SOUND THE ALARMS'
In high fantasy, people are more used to monsters and seeing a dragon fly overhead might even be a normal thing.

You could make people used to a monster, but likely they'd be reluctant at first.

At least from what I heard one of the main benefits of using elephants in military in the past is simply the fear factor of them - people are less familiar with them, and they're monstrous in proportions. Scared of the unknown and all.

>>50406176
I was actually thinking of them a bit like xorns, moving through earth without disturbing it and locating it, either that or not moving through but simply indicating which way to go.

But, it sounds like they could actually dig by themselves.
>>
>>50406517
I don't recall the appetite or nuances of diet of a rust monster being established anywhere, their ability to consume columns of metal laden dirt is questionable at best.
>>
>>50406517
1. If anon tamed 5 rust monsters and brought them to town, we can safely assume it's not a low-magic setting.
2. In a fantasy setting, there's no inherent difference between horses and rust monsters (dogs might be a special case). You only think of horses as "mundane" because they exist in real life.
Instead, compare rust monsters to rothe, the herd animal kept by underdark denizens. It doesn't exist in real life, but that doesn't mean it's a "monster" that people should be afraid of.

TL;DR you're still using the poorly-defined word "monster" instead of saying WHY rust monsters are intimidating.

P.S. Elephants aren't necessarily intimidating to well-trained and disciplined soldiers. Their advantage is that they scared the shit out of horses.
>>
>>50406215
Search Gabriel Pickard on roll20. Almost all of his sets have modular pieces as well as prebuilt areas to to just drop in. Also since it is purchased on the roll20 market using the assets won't use any of your storage.

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/?keywords=&sortby=newest&type=allart&genre=all&author=Gabriel%20Pickard
>>
>>50406593
>In a fantasy setting, there's no inherent difference between horses and rust monsters
I'm pretty sure that unless rust monsters have been widely domesticated there's a damn significant difference in their typical interactions with the races.
>>
>>50404192
How the fuck did you not see instantly that Hard as a Rock is utterly fucking overpowered?
>>
>>50406679
dis is a blaydesd ridden in bensil nod ing
>>
>>50406670
You are ENTIRELY missing the point. Rust monsters and horses both started as wild animals. In real-life Earth, humans domesticated horses, because they were useful. Why wouldn't they do the same with creatures like rust monsters?
The best argument is that rust monsters aren't that useful. Debatable, but fine. Then at worst they would be in the same category as mountain lions - not too large, not particularly friendly, but not aggressive towards humans unless they feel threatened.
So imagine someone marched a mountain lion on a leash into town square. The mountain lion is doing tricks and eating out of its hand. Do you:
1. Run away screaming, or
2. Stick around and watch it do tricks?
If the answer is 2, then you have no reason to be afraid of a rust monster that's tied to a post and eating locks off of safes.
>>
File: Rustmonster comic 1.png (36KB, 353x525px) Image search: [Google]
Rustmonster comic 1.png
36KB, 353x525px
>>50406670
The only real fear people have of rust monster is that they can eat your metal equipment. The ecology articles say rust monster are pretty docile and only get excited around metal (food). They're not gonna go around eating people's children or anything.

Here's the dragon magazine article with the rust monster ecology on page 22. http://annarchive.com/files/Drmg088.pdf

Dumping cute rust monster comic.
>>
File: Rustmonster comic 2.png (45KB, 353x525px) Image search: [Google]
Rustmonster comic 2.png
45KB, 353x525px
>>50406844
>>
>>50406779
The animals nature and habits make a difference too, not everything is halfway to tame and at all capable of domestication. There's a reason people don't ride zebras.
>>
File: Rustmonster comic 3.png (23KB, 353x525px) Image search: [Google]
Rustmonster comic 3.png
23KB, 353x525px
>>50406863
>>
File: zebra rides.jpg (180KB, 595x570px) Image search: [Google]
zebra rides.jpg
180KB, 595x570px
>>50406874
>There's a reason people don't ride zebras.

Nigga you stupid. Plenty of people ride zebras.
>>
File: Rust monster actions.png (379KB, 629x488px) Image search: [Google]
Rust monster actions.png
379KB, 629x488px
I feel that I should point out that rust monsters specifically rust ferrous metals.
>>
>>50406593
By the monster manual, the rust monster has several times the HP of a civilian, and is stronger and faster than one.
Heck, it is even labelled a 'monstrosity'. That, of all things, should be the thing that decides what monsters are.
Here's what the monster manual defines a monstrosity as:
"Monstrosities are monsters in the strictest sense - frightening creatures that are not ordinary, not truly natural, and almost never benign. Some are the results of magical experimentation gone awry, others are the product of terrible curses."

It's dependent on the DM how people react, but honestly even the monster manual is calling it a 'frightening, horrible abomination of nature'.
>>
File: Rustmonster comic 4.png (21KB, 353x525px) Image search: [Google]
Rustmonster comic 4.png
21KB, 353x525px
>>50406876
>>
>>50406907
>WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW DIAMOND?!
>>
File: Rustmonster comic 5.png (23KB, 353x525px) Image search: [Google]
Rustmonster comic 5.png
23KB, 353x525px
>>50406938
>>
>>50406924
how can it only corrode ferrous metals in a world with no periodic elements?

They corrode metal because of it's connection to the elemental pane of earth, not some nonsensical belief about how rust is formed
>>
>>50406937
I agree, using them for the heist of the century seems like a good idea though. Smuggle them into a vault, have them eat the vault door, and then they ignore the non-ferrous gold, silver, and copper inside.
>>
File: Rustmonster comic 6.png (21KB, 353x525px) Image search: [Google]
Rustmonster comic 6.png
21KB, 353x525px
>>50406952
>>
>>50406874
You're right, nature matters. And rust monsters are chill as fuck: >>50406844

>>50406937
Using creature type is ridiculous. "Dragon" is a creature type that typically includes enormous creatures of unfathomable power that you should run the fuck away from. But I'm not going to use that definition to convince you that a pseudodragon is a terrifying beast that makes villagers cower in fear.
Of course it depends on the DM, but they shouldn't rule based on a broad description of a category a creature belongs to. Creature type was invented decades after rust monsters anyhow.

>>50406924
I assumed everybody understood this and those people that were ignoring this were just pretending to be stupid.
>>
>>50406973
I guess the point is they can't corrode precious metals like silver, gold or platinum. Dunno about copper, brass and bronze.
>>
>>50406937
Yeah they look like a monstrosity but they are well known for being a docile monster that only eats rusted metal. The only reason a rust monster is going to fight some villager is if they corner it and attack, otherwise the rust monster will run away or continue to eat the metal without realizing they are being attacked.
>>
>>50406937
Also, using that line of thinking, you'd have to be more afraid of a rust monster than a grizzly, because a bear isn't a "monster." That's ridiculous. Bears will maul your face. RMs will try to get their feelers on your wood-choppin axe, and maybe bite you if you attack them (with significantly smaller mouths than bears).

>>50406973
Of course, makes sense. And while you're at it, let's make gold, silver, and platinum magnetic, since iron is magnetic because of its connection to the elemental plane of earth.

>>50406998
Does this exist in book format? I need to read this to my children. If I ever have any.
>>
>>50407067
Don't think so, it's just some web comic I found a while ago. I'm sure you can find higher resolution images on google and print it out for them.
>>
>>50407067
>Of course, makes sense. And while you're at it, let's make gold, silver, and platinum magnetic, since iron is magnetic because of its connection to the elemental plane of earth.

What's a magnet?
>>
File: Naamloos-2.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Naamloos-2.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>50399586
you could say

they are a drag race?
>>
>>50407009
Back in those days, most monsters would probably be an 'oh shit roll initiative get fighting or you're going to die' thing. Well, then again, I think there were good monsters, too.

DnD worlds often have it that most monstrous-looking creatures will attack you on sight.

Even if it doesn't attack you on sight, the first thing a person should want to do with something they don't understand is to get the heck away from it.

>>50407067
Honestly, you should be more afraid of a rust monster than a grizzly.
Grizzly bears are natural and more understandable. If we assume mundane or 'animal' types are much more common than dragons, aberrations and such, we can assume people will be generally more familiar with grizzly bears and more able to deal with them.

>>50407052
So, the villager would probably have to make an int check to identify the creature, and even if it does identify it they'll likely identify it as an extreme pest.
Consuming iron is a major, major issue if some powerful creatures are going to wander into your town and stoneage you.

I can understand though if somebody has them leashed that villagers might be willing to use them for certain applications, with reluctance.
>>
>>50407109
Presumably, the reason that maps of D&D worlds still have a compass rose and point north.
>>
>>50407141
>north

You mean the great wind god, brother of South, West and East?
>>
>>50404192

>Hard as a Rock and a bunch of discussion
What if you just made it require an action as you conjure up some rock or harden your skin or whatever fluff? The effect can stay as-is (+4 AC), or maybe dropped to +3, whatever feels like it'll be helpful but not OP. Shield is +5, but it's a spell slot and can be done as a reaction.
If it requires your action so you can't just sit there hardened up and casting magic and other nonsense. Then you can also think about removing the "you can't move" - maybe it just halves your speed.

Limit it to like CHA times/rest, or whatever the hell limitation you want.

Although there is a slight "why not just dodge?" if it costs an action. I dunno the math there.
>>
>>50407109
>>50407155
That thing that enables navigation on a cloudy night.

>>50407130
Back in those days, everyone knew what a rust monster was, and they did run the fuck away, unless they weren't carrying metal, in which case they wouldn't give a shit. Rust monsters are only notorious because adventurers tend to have weapons and armor.

"Natural" and "understandable" are subjective terms. While there might be more "beast" type creatures than "aberration" type creatures as a whole, I guarantee you there are more rust monsters than there are white leopards in a given fantasy setting.
>>
>>50407198
What about, start of turn, spend a bonus action, and can't move that turn?

Limiting it to x per rest is a good idea, actually.
>>
>>50407200
In that case, will you allow players to automatically succeed int checks to know basic facts about rust monsters, or will you determine that despite pretty much everybody knowing about them it'd be on a case-by-case basis?

Of course, that's DM dependent. I'm sure there are DMs that would provide at least the basic information, and there are DMs that would happily deny such information if nobody succeeds a certain level of check.
>>
>>50407130
>Honestly, you should be more afraid of a rust monster than a grizzly.

Read the fucking ecology article dude. They're not aggressive, they are more like giant docile termites than vicious animals.
>>
>>50407200
>>50407240
Even if you can tame a rust monster and can explain it to people, it's not a huge deal anyway. Like people have been saying, they're pretty docile, so as long as you feed it, keep a muzzle on it, and put it in a wooden cage, I doubt you'd cause too much of a fuss.

Besides, the only way it'd be helpful is in mines sniffing out good ore, and consuming crappy metal or rusted tools in return. So it might be a common sight to miners, but not to people far from them.
>>
>>50407234
A requirement that it be done at the start of your turn is odd (does it exist anywhere else?), but given that it's messing with movement and only lasts for the current turn, I suppose that's maybe kind of necessary? Otherwise you could get "I move and then activate it, suffering no speed reductions."

Yeah, I suppose mandating start of turn isn't too far out of 5e design, so can work. Does it have to be the absolute first thing you do, or can you attack and then do it? I'd probably permit an attack -> hardening.
Like uh
"You are able to [defensive earth magics]. If you haven't moved yet during your turn, you may, as a bonus action, reduce your speed to 0 and increase your AC by 4. This effect lasts until the start of your next turn."
>>
>>50407319
And you think I'd know that straight away?

I've seen grizzlies sit about and do jack shit before. That doesn't mean I'm going to assume they're safe to cuddle with.
In fact, I know more about grizzlies than rust monsters, so I'd honestly rather cuddle a grizzly unless I knew about rust monsters.

>>50407330
Well, it's true that you'd see a lot of miners familiar with them.

Honestly though, people would likely see them as massive pests, and miners would probably hate them. Perhaps not fear them more than they'd fear something like a moose, and they'd be willing to work with them.

But, I can't imagine people actually liking them.
I'd think something like gnomes would be more likely to work alongside monsters for that sort of thing.

Though, if they're really natural and common, wouldn't they be defined as an 'animal' rather than 'monstrosities' which are considered pretty much 'unnatural'?
>>
>>50407234
No, that's still too strong. Sorcerers don't have as many uses for bonus actions as a lot of other classes, so that's not much of a cost for a benefit that's just much bigger than any character should have at this level (or any levels, honestly).
If you REALLY want to keep it, it has to eat into your other resources - i.e. you have to give it a sorcery point cost.
>>
>>50407130
Either way the anon that tamed them has a stone enclosure that the can't get out of and he's just running it like a zoo. He's not having them run wild like some ghetto trash who's to lazy to buy a leash for his pitbull.

If anything, the anon is going to have to worry about criminals stealing his rust monsters away to do theft or vandalism.
>>
>>50407420
Hmm. I'll rethink it. I definitely want it to feel like you're actually doing something and not just getting it on the side most of the time anyway. I originally tried to look at the Dodge action for inspiration, but I think I have to go back to the drawing board.

Anyone have opinions on the rest of the features, though? >>50404192
>>
>>50407391
>I know more about grizzlies than rust monsters
That is because you live on Earth. If you lived on Faerun, you'd know more about rust monsters. At least if you didn't live near a forest, or if you were a dwarf.

"Massive pests" =/= scary monsters. Nobody suggested they be liked - just tolerated.

They're not "animals" because they didn't evolve naturally, but rather as a result of some magics happening. That doesn't automatically mean they're dangerous, though. "Unnatural" isn't "evil."
>>
>>50407391
Nobody is asking you to run up and hug a rust monster, you've made it clear you don't know shit about them for the most part.

Over all since they are caged and not running wild like >>50407423 said, unless the PCs do something bad with them it'll be more like a circus attraction or a state fair booth.
>>
A cool way to unruin this thread would be to stop responding to this persons rust monster fetish.
>>
>>50407520
More like his anti-rust monster 'tism schism.
>>
>>50407462
It's evil to druids,
>"Druids accept that which is cruel in nature, and they hate that which is unnatural"
But I guess druids are just crazy hippies anyway.

The only real thing to say is what I keep saying, and that is how well known they are.
If your DM decides they're barely well known and require a notably high int check, or whether your DM decides they're normal and tells you at least the basics anyway.

>>50407485
I don't know shit about how they're applied in certain worlds.
If it's said for faerun or this or that that they're common, that's fine. But that's the DM's decision of their world.

But I can agree that nobody's likely to skewer them on sight if they're caged up.

>>50407423
He's going to at least have to ask what the miner's guild thinks, or whatever.
We don't even know how geology works in this place, for all we know this particular fantasy world was only created 1000 years ago and geology works minecraft style.
>>
>>50407576
If you want to get pedantic, it's not "evil" to druids, because "evil" is not something druids care about. But it doesn't have to be "evil" for them to hate it - being "unnatural" is enough.
>>
>>50403109
For the 14th level feature, get rid of the spell save when exiting the fire and make it last indefinitely - you can hide in a fire forever if you want. This makes it more in line with a movement-type of ability rather than something that can be abused in combat.
>>
Does lesser restoration work on things like vampirism or lycanthorpy? It seems like these things would not be a big deal if a 2nd level spell could cure it.
>>
>>50407726
>Can hide forever
>Not abusable in combat
I know what you mean - it won't win a lot of battles - but it's a ridiculously good defensive mechanic.
>>
>>50407775
>the whole party died
>except for the dickass pyromancer who just hid in a candle
>>
>>50407768
Those things are curses, not effects.Greater Restoration would cure them.
>>
What kind of curse or negative should I impose on a pc getting a flind's flail as volo only mentions what would happen if a gnoll were to grab it
>>
>>50398839
A player in my group came up with a Wood elf Ranger 1/ Forge Cleric 1/ Monk 1 for our first session.
Basically a wandering warrior type focused on self-improvement and removing orc.

Here's the deal.
He has a +3 bonus (because we so far only fight humanoids).

A +3 at lvl 3 with 17 Dex and 15 Wis.
He also has the Shield and Searing smite spell.

The DM has been a douche and the other players agreed to support this lelf player.
How do we break the game further with his character?
Should he take a warlock level (undying light) since the DM allows all of UA?
>>
Is anyone else having trouble getting stuff from DM's guild? It'll let me add stuff to the cart but won't let me check out. I usually only download the pay what you want and free titles that look interesting.
>>
>>50407930
Nothing because that character is going to fall behind the rest of the party really quickly and never really catch back up starting at around level 5.
>>
>>50407930
i hope he enjoys being worthless when everyone else hits their power spikes
>>
>>50407930

That character isn't going to break anything. One of the greatest strengths of the forge cleric is at level 6 they get super armor, among other things. Know who can't wear armor? Monks. He took all that to basically get a +1 quarterstaff.
>>
>>50407930
UA ranger should not be allowed for a single level dip.

Other than that, there's absolutely nothing wrong with what's going on there.

Monk is honestly quite trash for multiclass and rather than getting a level of monk for bonus action attacks they'd have been better off getting levels in cleric for 'spiritual weapon'.
>>
>>50408418
Sorry but that bonus action unarmed strike so far has been a +2 because we are duking it out with humanoids.
He intends to focus on raising his monk levels first now to at least lvl 6 and then he will alterate between it and cleric.

The campaign is supposed to go up to level 20 and knowing the level of austism the DM has for high speed campaigns it will.

So they lelf player is planing on:

Sun Monk 11, Forge Cleric 8, Ranger 1
>>
>>50407330
I'm pretty sure I saw something about a squad of Dwarf Cavalry wearing studded leather armour wielding stone-warhammers riding Rustmonster Mounts once.
>>
>>50408737
What does attacking humanoids have to do with his attack bonus? (Which should be +5 unless I'm misunderstanding you)

>>50408744
Studded leather armor has metal in it, so that's doubtful.
Also, obligatory "studded leather armor is a modern invention not rooted in historical armor technology."
>>
>>50402738
Heep is bae.

Gentle Giant and Rush are also good for worldbuilding inspiration stuff.
>>
>>50408859

The UA ranger gets a damage bonus to their favored enemy, so what they're saying is the monk has a +3 damage bonus (+1 quarterstaff, +2 favored enemy v. humanoids). Took me a bit to figure it out since they didn't specify though.
>>
>>50408744
Well, if that stat block that got posted is anything to go by, you'd be better off with Bronze for armor.

Even still, I don't think Rust monsters are that great for mounts.
>>
>>50408859

He has +3 from his dex mod.

+1 from Forge cleric feature weapon.

+2 for favoured enemy Humanoid.

Monks apply Dex to their bonus action strike too and the FE bonus from Ranger applies to any weapon attack and unarmed strikes qualify for that.

That's 1d8+3+2+1+1d4+3+2 Damage per turn on hit.

Or 11 guaranteed, 16 average and 21 max damage per turn.
>>
>>50408737
Monk just really doesn't work at all.

Forge cleric 6 is good.
Ranger 1 is good.
However, UA really isn't very multi-class compatible. If your DM allowed it, serves them right for being negligent.

However, I fail to see how taking 11 levels in monk really contributes much when those 11 levels could go somewhere much better.
>>
>>50408980
11 levels in Sun monk or Long death monk.

The first opens up consistent blasting mini fire balls and can spike that damage decently on a short rest resource.

The second is a tank.

Forge cleric has access to Searing smite and the Shield spell which adds just tonns of utility on monks (what says fuck you more than a monk who can cast shield consistently and never get hit).

Divine strike helps boost the damage output as well and with monks 3 attacks per turn you are guaranteed to hit something.

Oh and this combo just laughs at any AOE fire based attacks because lol if i don't dodge it then i just ressist that already halved damage.
>>
Does anyone have anything along the lines of a world map / atlas of the canon D&D world? Googling away here but it's all far from what I'm looking for.
>>
>>50409074
>what says fuck you more than a monk who can cast shield consistently and never get hit)

A mobility monk that isn't in range to get hit in the first place.
>>
>>50409151
>canon D&D world
Not really a thing. Different editions used different settings for their "default" world. 5e is Forgotten Realms
>>
File: faerunlarge.jpg (6MB, 4763x3185px) Image search: [Google]
faerunlarge.jpg
6MB, 4763x3185px
>>50409166
>>50409151

Found this?
>>
File: ForgottenRealmsMap.jpg (804KB, 1916x1281px) Image search: [Google]
ForgottenRealmsMap.jpg
804KB, 1916x1281px
>>50409151
5e does not have a default setting. That said, published material generally assumes (and works best with) Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>50409231
Faerun is one continent. Toril is the world. I am not sure how detailed a Toril map would be though,
>>
File: 1437665032799.jpg (29KB, 502x460px) Image search: [Google]
1437665032799.jpg
29KB, 502x460px
>>50409231
>>50409241
MFW someone beats me by less than a minute... and posts a better resolution version.

Oh well, at least I get a better-res version than the one I had.
>>
>>50409277
And then I forget the maymay arrow. Could this day get ANY worse?
>>
>>50409313
D&D could suddenly become real and you're stuck as a Bladelock forever
>>
>>50409241
>>50409231
That's it! I'd seen the Baldur's Gate to Neverwinter coastline but couldn't find the rest. Thanks you guys.

>>50409166
Yeah I do get that, I'll be adding some landmass north of Icewind for my own purposes anyway. Sort of a fantasy Canada, "The Waterdeep Trading Company has hired the party to yada yada yada"
>>
>>50409241
Greyhawk is kill?
>>
>>50409359

Greyhawk will likely be brought to life at some point but for now we live in the Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>50409344
rather be stuck in D&D as a subpar pact than stay in this world ;_;
>>
I'm considering options for a new character for most likely a Curse of Strahd game, but I'm really stuck as to what would be the most fun. I don't really care too much about what my party is playing, as they're mostly unoptimized.

It's either:
Kenku Shadow/OH Monk 5 (Roleplay challenge)
Tiefling/Yuan Ti Warlock 2 / Lore Bard 3 (Smooth talking blaster/debuffer/gimper)
Something Arcane Cleric 5 (Red Mage)
Something Lore Bard 5 (Red Mage)

Any thoughts or other suggestions? Hopefully from people who have played similar things.
>>
>>50409344
Bladelock is still warlock. I'll take it. As long as it's not a Fae patron.
Seriously, I'll take a devil over a faerie. At least devils sort of think like people.

>>50409407
This anon gets my feels.

>>50409351
>north of Icewind Dale
Careful there. Canonically at least, IWD is pretty damn Northern, on the order of Alaska and Canada. Anything beyond it is pretty much the arctic circle.
>>
>>50409433
>Unoptimized party
>Curse of Strahd
Let's skip to the part where we help anon design the character after this one and save everybody some time.
>>
>>50409467
>not just taking the dark gift for a 2nd chance
>>
>>50409433

Shadow monks are rather fun (I played a v.human OH monk through Strahd) so I'd recommend that. If no one in your party has radiant damage though, you should go LG light cleric 2/Paladin X or your party is gonna get buttfucked.
>>
>>50403432
Does it trigger anyone else that this is int? Wouldn't Cha make more sense?
>>
I wanna run Tyranny of Dragons. What should I be aware of? Anything I should change?
>>
>>50398839
Coheed & Cambria made a setting with their music
>>
>>50409467
>>50409487

There's a paladin and a cleric. I'm assuming I can make a strong enough character to carry them. I thought monk since I know Strahd has a weak con save and forcing him to make several legendary resistance saves won't make him very happy. I thought Bardlock to mix buff/debuff/damage in equal measures.

I'm assuming we'll have all the items which weaken him when we fight him.
>>
File: 1463177219954.png (385KB, 671x461px) Image search: [Google]
1463177219954.png
385KB, 671x461px
>>50409562
Be aware of Dragons
>>
>>50409629

Sounds like you're settled on a monk then, go shadow monk for funsies IMO. There's a couple of good monk items you can pick up throughout the adventure (which I can highlight for you if you want). Kobold would be an excellent choice if you're looking for a very powerful racial combo.
>>
>>50409681
I'm terrified of Kobold because won't sunlight vulnerability screw me every time a party member uses the sunblade near me?

Otherwise, I know very little about magic items in the adventure. I know a party member has the blood spear, so that's probably not coming my way.
>>
>>50409545
As the one who posted that, honestly I think cha makes more sense, but wis would work as well.

I'd even say wis>cha>int.
There's not a big difference between them, however.

>>50409074
They would be much, much better off just putting those 11 levels in paladin or honestly almost anything else. You can't optimize monk. The monk at high levels is a stunstick, it doesn't matter how you multiclass. More levels means more stuns, and that's what you should aim for.
I can understand what they're getting at. That many levels in cleric isn't a bad idea at all. A single level dip in UA ranger is overpowered.
But seriously, monk of all things?

8 levels in cleric? Just be a fucking cleric and get level 9 spells.

1 level in UA ranger? Well, of fucking course, because the UA revised ranger is NOT designed to be used for multiclass, and is good for almost anybody. You might as well have ALL your characters take a single level in the newest ranger. No, seriously, go fucking do it. Prove a point.

When you stop levelling monk, you stop upgrading a whole range of features, because the monk has far too many scaling-with-monk-level abilities.

+1d8 damage a round (not per hit, go paladin if you wanted that) from level 8 is pretty lackluster.
Evasion you can get from rogue. Say, barbarian-rogue multiclass. Resistance to fire (and everything) AND evasion.
Searing smite denies martial arts' bonus attack.
Shield is actually a good point, though.
>>
>>50409706

A) you have pack tactics and get advantage from the shadow monk teleport so it's going to work out to normal attack rolls. That's far from 'screwed' and there's no natural sunlight in Barovia so for like 99% of the campaign it won't matter. And even so, that works out to permanent negative disadvantage so as long as you're using pack tactics you'll never have disadvantage.

B) You wouldn't want the blood spear anyways, that's an item made for barbarians. Aim for the Gulthias Staff as your primary magic item. There's also a tome of understanding (and I snagged the Helm of Brilliance which is INCREDIBLE).
>>
>>50409742
If I do ever get to play it (permadm feels bad) I might ask to play it with Cha instead to play a more roguish type, but now I think about it I like the idea of a high int more like a scholar type stumbling upon the magic deck, after looking at the spell list.
>>
>>50409748
It's a fairly large group, so I probably wouldn't be able to get either of those items. However, you never know.

Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>50409883

No problem, good luck against the spoopy skellingtons.
>>
>>50409562
Check the Errata, there are a few vital changes akin to swapping the GROUP of CR8 assassins that attack the level 4 party with more reasonable CR veterans.

Feel free to change treasure, nothing was more of a let down than getting a +1 suit of chainmail with no other effect when our only heavy armour guy already had splint mail. Or getting a magical shield when no one in our party used a shield.
>>
File: torilmap.jpg (275KB, 1988x810px) Image search: [Google]
torilmap.jpg
275KB, 1988x810px
>>50409256
The northern reaches of Maztica are also known as Anchorome.
There are detailed maps for all the stuff filled in, but none of the maps ever produced for the various places (Zakhara, Kara-Tur, Faerun, and Maztica) are drawn in such a way that they can be pieced together. They don't utilize the same art style, scales, or even relative distances.
>>
>>50410157
That looks... familiar.
>>
File: Inverted_Map_of_the_World.jpg (469KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Inverted_Map_of_the_World.jpg
469KB, 1024x768px
>>50410174
>>
File: torilmap2.jpg (92KB, 1022x588px) Image search: [Google]
torilmap2.jpg
92KB, 1022x588px
>>50410157
Also, more names.

Maztica (or what has been explored) is South America, Anchorome is technically the islands off to the east of the named area, Kara-Tur is China, Katashaka is Africa if everything was a jungle, Zakahra is Arabia, Osse is Australia if it were full of Native Americans. No one knows what Aurune is.
>>
>>50410229
It's all actually quite stupid when you consider that any society with as much technical knowledge and magical ability as Faerun has should be able to completely map the world in great detail. How hard would it be for a few high-level Wizard Cartographers to fly around all day, disappear into a Rope Trick at night, and eat summoned food? They would never have to encounter anything, and if they did... fuck, just teleport away.

Or ask one of the FUCKING GODS for a map.
>>
>>50410212
Actually, it looks more like Earth a few hundreds of thousands of years ago.
>>
>>50410280
It's only vaguely Cretaceous.
>>
>>50410380
>>50410380
>>50410380
New Thread
>>50410380
>>50410380
>>50410380
>>
I've only been playing for about a year and finally got my character killed. I decided to make my new character a Neutral-Good Elf who's quest is to ascend to become an Arch-Lich, but I can't decide which way to do it.

1) Wizard specializing in Necromancy
2) Cleric of Death

Which would you guys recommend for essentially becoming a Lich at level 20.
Thread posts: 357
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.