[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 34

File: sharnt10.jpg (151KB, 700x433px) Image search: [Google]
sharnt10.jpg
151KB, 700x433px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Latest News
-NEW Unearthed Arcana: Cleric Divine Domains: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/cleric-divine-domains

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Previous thread
>>50348464

>Topic
I constantly hear or read about Eberron. What's so good about it? Tell your stories.
>>
File: cult temple.jpg (465KB, 1536x1154px) Image search: [Google]
cult temple.jpg
465KB, 1536x1154px
>>50357421
>>50357421
am still looking for help/inspiration
maybe it should only be a puzzle/trap room with Light and Darkness as themes

any good ideas for this?
>>
File: X7QaruL.jpg (53KB, 577x577px) Image search: [Google]
X7QaruL.jpg
53KB, 577x577px
tfw no grup
>>
File: 1479774872934.jpg (100KB, 992x354px) Image search: [Google]
1479774872934.jpg
100KB, 992x354px
>>50357567
>I constantly hear or read about Eberron. What's so good about it? Tell your stories.
Eberron is post-war setting with emphasis on sociopolitical intrigue and world-spanning adventures.

There are tons of factions both in the public spotlight and almost unknown, with some influence and tons of influence, competing with each other (and within themselves) for their own goals. Nations, merchants, demons, dragons, noble houses, cultists, and more have a billion and one plothooks to build off them. There are also huge mysteries left open on purpose, such what caused the Day of Mourning, for a DM to fill in as the plot desires. The intrigue basically builds itself.

The world is big, fleshed out but not *too* detailed, with a variety of different areas and ways to get there. Airships, magic trains, and teleportation circles make getting across huge distances rather easy. An adventure in the depths of Sharn might lead you to the rainforests of Q'Barra, which you can reach in less than an in-game week's time. You're completely expected to cross continents and oceans.
>>
File: 1396429022199.jpg (116KB, 717x478px) Image search: [Google]
1396429022199.jpg
116KB, 717x478px
any sort of alternate weapon/armor material and breaking rules for 5e for my homebrew setting?
>>
>>50357675
Seems pretty cool.

I wish there was a good way to "get into" Eberron. I've tried the settings books but I just can't read them.
>>
File: 1327630825256.jpg (129KB, 600x579px) Image search: [Google]
1327630825256.jpg
129KB, 600x579px
>cant sort roll20 games by group size
>cant sort by new campaign or in media res
>cant sort by homebrew or not
>>
>>50357778
the only filter should be
> DM accepts revised Ranger UA or not
>>
>>50357778
If there were more boxes to check or fill for making a game, most people wouldn't fill them out and you'd be left filtering through shit anyway.
>>
>>50357778
Do you live in some hodunk town with no LGS that you can't just game with your fellow friendless nerds in person?
>>
>>50357807
half that shit could be sorted by the search engine though
>>
>>50357573
I'd honestly suggest against allowing the stoneskin to be concentration-free. Concentration is kind of akin to action economy in 5th edition where it's a bit risky to mess with. Letting them stack Stoneskin with other spells such as Blur will cause a lot more balancing issues than just letting them avoid a 100gp cost every now and then.

I'd also maintain the +1 to saving throws, if only to retain the cloaks position as "A legendary cloak of protection."

I'm also a bit unsure of the Mage armour, seems a lot of "If's and Buts" to add for such a minor bonus, so I'd still say leave it out and let her cast Mage Armour herself, a 1st level spell slot won't kill her.

Hell, one of my casters basically turned around and bought 20 scrolls of Mage armour and Longstrider once since they were spells they cast every adventuring day but wanted to keep slots open for other things and were happy to invest in the 30-50gp per scroll to keep the healing words flowing.
>>
>>50357821
yes :( only 30k peeps
>>
Dwarf Wizard, Hill or Mountain?

Hill's +1 HP is great obviously, but the +1 wis don't do shit for me.

Mountain Dwarf's light and medium armor is pretty fantastic, 17AC (halfplate) with only 14 dex investment? +2 STR does actually help as I'm going to be using Booming Blade/GFB with my warhammer.

Probably going to be an Abjurer, will have 16 con out of the gate. Pretty solid no? I'm leaning Mountain.

>>50357801
Revised ranger is so good man, we had a big trek across a long distance in my last session and I was MVP by a country mile

Deepstalker is also crazy with it's free attack and bonus to movespeed + 90ft darkvision
>>
>>50357848
>Tfw you live in a town of 800 in bumfuck Idaho but would rather eat glass than use Roll20.
Lower your standards, or get used to vidya.
>>
File: face 1462731200240.gif (799KB, 200x189px) Image search: [Google]
face 1462731200240.gif
799KB, 200x189px
>>50357567
Still no Eberron campaign book, two years later, is a fucking disgrace.
>mfw
>>
>>50357858
I'm playing a 3rd level Diviner as a Mountain Dwarf with 16 STR/16 CON. I'm playing him as a shaman with as many rituals I can put my hands on, and a Raven familiar whispering sweet things to my ears.

It's pretty dope. Abjuration was a big temptation but I really wanted to scratch the shaman itch. Plus, my DM seemed reluctant at the idea of Alarms as a ritual working with the Ward. So instead I'm turning his 20s into 3s and he can't do shit about it. Go figure.
>>
>>50357858
Mountain Dwarf, if you're willing to live dangerously, spend your first feat on Heavy Armour training for +1 Strength (To get STR18), dump dexterity and then put the rest of your ASI into Intelligence.

Run around in Platemail two-handing a Warhammer while dropping anvil-shattering hammerslams onto people and being the manliest dwarvenest wizard around, when someone tries to fuck with you calmly say "Counterspell.

The only risk of the build is you're at 14INT until level 8.
>>
>>50357939
14 INT isn't that big a deal early on thanks to Magic Missiles and the general utility you provide. Still your build is a bit reckless. I'd only go for it if my DM gave 1 extra feat @LV1
>>
File: 1470452938327.jpg (156KB, 548x800px) Image search: [Google]
1470452938327.jpg
156KB, 548x800px
>>50357821
>tfw live in city of ~1 mil
>only LGS that does DnD nearby has terrible DM for new players
>>
>forge cleric has two very interesting features at the start, and then passive overload for the last three features.

This is both the best and worst designed cleric option.
>>
>>50358028
You don't go to LGS to actually play, you go to find more of your own kind to hang out with outside of mtg pitstain hell.
>>
>>50358050
Don't act like you ever play past lv7 :^)
>>
>>50357912
I wish i was enjoying my Wizard this much. Not in my comfort zone with this character, i just want to sudoku and roll a Paladin.

But i'll stick it out. Actually I am almost level 4. What is a good Feat for a Divination Wizard? Everyone says Warcaster is amazing, but i am an arrakocra and just fly away from enemies in melee.
>>
>>50358084
>paladin
>enjoyable
>>
>>50358084

I'm playing a transmutation wizard, and while their level 2 ability is way to restricted compared to what other schools get their higher level stuff is a lot of fun. The transmutation school in general has a lot of fun spells, including two of the best 9th level spells if you ever get that far or find a scroll.
>>
>>50358102
What isn't enjoyable about Paladins? Alot of people on here always comment on how amazing Paladins are. This seems like an uncommon opinion. Explain plz.

>>50358125
I basically never get to roll my d20s for Portent. 2 Warlocks in my group

>Hey you guys wanna take a long rest?
>Nah, let's just short rest, don't want monsters sneaking up on us
>Oh...okay.
>>
I've got the Lost Mines of Phandelver module on Roll20 and a few hours to kill.

Any interest in some folks who want to group up and run a quick and dirty group for the night?
>>
>>50358190
You might want to check the Discord, there are always people looking for games there.

Outside of that: think you could give someone access to a copy of it to rip the tokens and maps for the Mega?
>>
>>50358186
there u go then, just ask your DM to give you a feat to use Portent on short rests

> 2 warlocks
or reroll a martial
>>
>>50358190
i wish i could
>>
File: 1255395299521.jpg (214KB, 933x1400px) Image search: [Google]
1255395299521.jpg
214KB, 933x1400px
Idle curiosity here;

What's your favorite class and why?

I like paladings because I like aiding others and reinforcing group cohesion, and shit like Oath of the Ancients means I don't have to be a stick in the mud to do it.
>>
First-time DM here.

I'm not keen on 'video gamey' resurrection (and it's also not possible barring divine/devilish intervention in my setting). Is permadeath for dropping to zero HP and failing death saving throws too harsh? Should I maybe adjust the ruling of resurrection spells to make them usable only within minutes of death, like a resuscitation spell instead?
>>
>>50357903
>still no Mystara campaign book
>21 years later
>>
>>50358307
Cleric. Domains are pretty versatile, and I like having that deeper connection to a setting's lore via the deity.
>>
>>50358318
Is your campaign starting at level 1? Then your players probably wont make it to a high enough level for the players themselves to cast a resurrection spell. They'll all die before that happens imo.
>>
>>50358318

Ressurection means that players don't have to play the game and then worry about losing their character forever due to one botched roll. If you do want to do that, you should be very generous with magic items when they roll up with a new level 8 or whatever. Personally I think perma-death is only appropriate in campaigns trying to be tough and gritty rather than the normal spell-slinging, power fantasy D&D campaigns.
>>
>>50358318
The DM from Critical Role has a resurrection ruleset that might interest you here: https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/681950486291824640

But it's your setting. So long as players know what they're getting into, you can change it how you want.
>>
>>50358318
Resurrection spells are often so expensive and have such rare components that players rarely have access to them, anyway.

Outside of getting dark gifts in CoS, I've never seen resurrection magic used in my games.
>>
File: habbeding.jpg (307KB, 600x446px) Image search: [Google]
habbeding.jpg
307KB, 600x446px
First game ever coming up.

Gib advice pls
>>
>>50358318
>need a diamond worth 500gp, not just 500gp
>10 day time limit
>need to cart a body all over the place in the mean time
>need a level 9 fucking Cleric (or Druid, but you also need materials worth 1000gp now), already past the high end of what groups will reach
>also "divine/devilish intervention"
>videogamey
The only raising spell your group is going to encounter is Revivify at level 5, if they have a Cleric (or Paladin 9), and that already has a one minute timer on it like you want.

You're concerned about something that's pretty much not going to happen anyway.
>>
>Player puts a 15 on Str and 12 on Dex
>Champion fighter
>Uses a longsword one handed with shield
>Refuses to spend ASIs on Str or to deal more damage
>Complains about other people dealing more damage than him
Should I kill him or kill him?
>>
File: dont die.png (853KB, 986x748px) Image search: [Google]
dont die.png
853KB, 986x748px
>>50358396
>>
>>50358343
Probably but I'm not sure. I do have low-level stuff planned out but it might be a bit dull for first-time players.

>>50358345
It's a bit tough and gritty. I'd like the players to exert themselves and there are some setting-based caveats - magic isn't something any Joe can use and the threat of death is supposed to be tangible.

>>50358398
>>50358374
>>50358373
Thanks for the advice, fellas. It helps.
>>
>>50358396
OBJECT / ENVIRONMENT INTERACTION
>>
>>50358399
Forgot
>Doesn't pick dueling Style
>>
>>50358307
I really like Paladins too. Oath of the Ancients cause i really like a more Nature Themed Paladin. I really enjoyed it in WoW when Taurens became "Paladins" and their "Holy Light" was supposed to be like...Druidic Sun Magic because the Sun was an eye of the Earth Mother. It kind of all went downhill after that, but the idea of this sorta...savage warrior of the light was really cool to me.

I am trying to make an Oath of Ancients Paladin who is like...a Beetle Knight. Race is unimportant, but aside from being related to Nature I am having a hard time thinking up not stupid bullshit backstories that make him Insect Themed.

I was thinking of maybe some kind of "Way of the Mantis" Monk monastery and he applies that to this Paladin training, but at the same time I am not a huge huge fan of making my own bit of World Lore and sticking it into the DM's setting.

I also really like Revised Ranger (Deep Stalker) just because of the theming. Though I have grown to dislike characters with Dark Vision, it makes things less interesting.
>>
>>50358186
not that anon, but I'm playing a Paladin for the first time atm.

I had a pretty bad time last session because I have NO RANGED besides 30ft range 1d6 javelins.

We were fighting goblins and they can bonus action dash or disengage. I was basically useless

everyone else in the party has ranged ability (wizard monk ranger) so I have a pretty rough time honestly, they can engage from fucking 120ft away and I'm stuck moving 30ft a turn.

Seriously considering MC'ing or taking magic initiate for eldritch blast or firebolt or fucking SOMETHING. At level 5 though I'll be able to summon a Warhorse with 60ft movement so that should help alot outside of dungeons

>>50358209
I have it too, not really worth doing. The maps included suck, you can literally google "LMoP Maps" and the like third result are these gorgeous hand crafted maps made by some guy that just shits on WotC's maps for it
>>
>>50358307
Palocks or Pasorcelocks
>>
>>50358399
>>50358414
what an assclown, doing all that because you don't know what the fuck you're doing is fine but complaining about it is retarded.

Kill him
>>
>>50357567

saw this posted, and thought id see what you guys have to say about it:

reduced savecount:

fort=str/con
ref=dex/int
will=wis/cha
you use the higher of the two statmods.

either each class is proficient with one of them (still 1/3 of the saves), or each class is proficient with 2 of them (for a game with tougher pcs).

what are your guys thoughts/comments?
>>
What would happen if we run an all NPC/monster party? without PC creation rules.
>>
>>50358475
Pointless shit that doesn't fix or add anything to the game.
>>
>>50358492
big effect: everyone has way more hp.
small effect: they do a bit more damage
>>
>>50358505
attacks would be more likely to hit a save youre good at, because youre using the better of 2 statmods
>>
>>50358492
You'd see alot more Beholders in your games.

But also i want to look through MM and Volo's to pick a monster to play now. Leaning towards an Umberhulk because...Giant bug monster.
>>
Reposting this. It's a minor rebalance of the last D&D Next version of Four Elements monk.
>>
>>50358396
Grapple them, then shove them prone. Not only is it incredibly effective, it's incredibly embarrasing for "Thulgar, despoiler of cities" to get suplexed to the ground, pinned by a dwarf and then shanked to death by six people unable to shake off the dwarf and stand up.
>>
>>50358492
All solar party. Fuck yeah!
>>
>>50357740
In the tradition of settings like Ravenloft, Dark Sun, or Spelljammer, Eberron is D&D blended with another genre. In this case it's pulp novels, radio shows, and movie serials. If you want a capsule idea then check out movies like Indiana Jones or The Mummy. Read up on the 20s and 30s. Listen to some old time radio adventure shows. Read some Doc Savage. I could go on.
>>
>>50358574
Splelljammer is blended with crap.
>>
>be level 1 barbar
>group has a druid, ranger, rogue, and bard
>get attacked by wolves and a dire wolf
>4 fucking wolves and dire wolf
> I get pounced by 2 of em get reduced to 5 hp
>2nd turn
>Druid pissed off dire wolf and gets knocked prone
>attack and miss
>get healed in the nick of time to survive at 3hp
>3rd
>Druid who is halfling starts getting swallowed whole by dire wolf panics casts thunderwave
>realizes what he just did
>3 members of the party get knocked the fuck out including me
>Rogue dies and we all think we got struck by lightning

>get 100 xp for surviving that shit Q_Q

oh and we all realized none of us had medicine trained so rogue bled out infront of us as the bard saved the ranger who was his friend ingame
>>
>>50357845
I see what you mean, but it just seems like concentration is broken way too easily. I understand that is part of the balance, but they can't seem to maintain concentration after being hit two or three times. Besides, since I lowered it to 7 charges, they can only do this once per day at most, and it'll depend on how well they roll on the recharge. All in all I don't think an hour of Stoneskin will break anything even when stacked with other concentration spells, not in a campaign where I use a lot of non-physical damage.

A middle ground I could use would be to keep the concentration, but give the mantle some buff to concentration checks made to maintain stoneskin.
>>
>>50358209

The Discord server sucks dick.
It's just a bunch of vile assholes being rude to each other.
>>
>>50358597
Oh right the rest of the wolves fled after the dire wolfs jaw blew out of its fucking mouth and they all got hit by thunderwave
>>
>>50358602
Welcome to 4chan faggot
>>
>>50358492
It could get stale after a while, since no character progression. But I can see this made as a one-shot, easily.

>>50358597
You don't need to have proficiency in Medicine to try to stabilize someone. You just need to make a DC 10 medicine check, even if untrained and with shit wisdom.
>>
>>50358675
I think it's homebrew rule. He seems to have come from 3.5 but it's rather fun great roleplay and shit. Also he seems to have a system where if you get hurt.

I'll ask but that seems to be the case.
>>
>>50358190
I'm keen.
>>
>>50358718
Oh i forgot to finish like damage to enemies resulted in shit like lower movement speed and shit. Not sure if it goes any deeper
>>
i miss Eberron
>>
>>50358651
i find the /5eg/ thread relatively civil
>>
>>50358602
They use the discord because board rules 1 & 2 doesn't apply to them there.
>>
File: i-know-that-feel.jpg (16KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
i-know-that-feel.jpg
16KB, 500x461px
>>50358739
I know that feeling anon. Been waiting for Eberron a while now. It will probably be the only thing that will get me into 5e honestly.
>>
>>50358739
>>50358774
It never left, and it's not that hard to adapt it to 5e. Don't just have a dream; live it.
>>
>>50358601
Remember though, Stoneskin by verdict of halving the damage you take against most things, will reduce the DC of your Concentration saving throws, but I do understand your concern.

How about this, taking a leaf from the Conjuration wizards book. Although do keep in mind that when you're giving a player a clearly tailor made "Legendary" item like this, the other players will potentially expect something for them at some point but one cool item each isn't a big deal and makes memorable characters if you space them out.

How about this, a little streamlined, short and sweet but still giving substantial, memorable and powerful bonuses both passive and active.

"Stonemantle, A heavy blue cloak adorned with arcane runes, once worn by the legendary dwarven abjurer Nimena Stonehammer."

While you are attuned to this cloak and wearing it, you gain a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws, your Arcane Ward is increased by 15hp and while you are concentrating on an abjuration spell your concentration cannot be broken by damage.

The mantle has 7 charges, which can be used to cast shield (1 charge) or stoneskin (4 charges) without using material components. Every day at dawn, it regains 1d6+1 expended charges."

Takes elements from obviously Cloak of Protection, offers a similar ability to the level 10 Conjuration school ability, boosts the characters most thematic ability (Arcane ward) and offers some nice spells. All while being short, compact and sweet.

This was fun working on, what do think of this version?
>>
>>50358675
What if there is progression?
ie, as a spellcaster, you start as an apprentice, become a specialist then become an archmage or something like that.

With monsters, it'd be you'll start off against easy prey than gradually progress onto stronger enemies.
>>
>>50358475
>>50358505

just tested it on monsters without reducing their number of proficient saves, just to see what the math look like.

it has a mild effect on their best save, (+0.8) and drastically shores up their weak saves (+6.7). I expect it would have a similar effect on PCs.

if you wanted a less drastic difference between your good and bad saves, it might be a decent optional rule to use.
>>
File: iattackthedarkness.png (32KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
iattackthedarkness.png
32KB, 500x270px
>>50358415
>I have grown to dislike characters with Dark Vision, it makes things less interesting.
Dis. My Minotaur is the only member of our party without dark vision in a setting with mysterious fog everywhere, ashfalls, shitty little Victorian streets, old sewers, and crypts. I get literally towed around like an asshole until we jump something and I can finally light a torch to throw on the ground.
OC related.
>>
>>50358754
the thread is more civil than most, anon.
>>
File: Zen Archer.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Zen Archer.pdf
1B, 486x500px
what do yall think of this

personally think that the "you can make an attack when you roll initiative, for free" is fucking ridiculous but everything else is ok
>>
>>50358978
minotaur.
no dark vision.

thats as bad as the drow with no spell resistance.
>>
>>50358793
Looks good! I also have fun building magic items, have already made a good number of all kinds. It would make her absurdly good at maintaining abjuration spells, which I guess isn't all that bad, considering these protect her allies instead of fucking up enemies. Protection from Energy, Stoneskin, Banishment, Globe of Invulnerability, even Antimagic Field... Considering this campaign will go at least to level 15, all of those become stupid good in her hands. Antimagic Field does concern me a little bit, but that's a long way off. It was my intention more to make a very rare item rather than legendary, but anyway. All the party is getting a big load of magic items, as part of this huge hoard guarded by a dragon they're going to try and defeat, so I hope none of them feel left out.

The only change I would do is exchanging the +1 to saving throws for resistance to force damage, because I don't want to undermine the only other person in the party who has a Ring of Protection.
>>
does anyone have a PC illithid template that isn't completely broken or isn't complete shit?
>>
>>50359010
>dragonborn
>no dark vision
>>
>>50359039
Well you said you're throwing a lot of treasure at em, why don't you make sure they something cute as well. Nothing quite legendary, but something to make sure they have something shiny to look at. It's hard to care about "Man that cloak does the same stuff my ring does I'm sad now" when you've also got a new toy to play with, everyone knows rings of protection are smalltime anyway.

I understand this item did end up being a bit over the requested power level, but I think it is better to filter the "Strong/Legendary" items in gradually, than just give everyone something powerful at level 14. Let them have her couple levels of awesome having a high powered item before the others get a hold of their "Legendary" gear piece, especially since this is mostly utility and defensive boons, particularly one that aids the other party members. Although I'd suggest that when you have two guys left, give them theirs at the same time so there isn't a stage of one player being the only one without.

As you said, the abjuration spells that she will be able to maintain incredibly well are mostly defensive in nature with the exception of Banishment. As for Antimagic field, as you said will be level 15 before she can cast that, and secondly, the effect would supress her cloak making her vulnerable to losing concentration on it from damage, the problem solves itself.

The biggest risk to balance I see is her dropping leveled up banishments, dunking a couple guys out of a fight without fear of fumbling a saving throw and getting unexpected combatants rejoin. But hey, awesome magic items gunna awesome magic right?

What other characters in the party are there? Gnome Abjurerer QT sounds cool.
>>
>>50359246

Make one yourself my dude.
>>
File: 1476069792574.gif (3MB, 640x266px) Image search: [Google]
1476069792574.gif
3MB, 640x266px
>>50358595
>>
There's a also a general lack of creepiness and fetish-shit we see in other threads.
>>
>>50359256
wasnt a 4e guy. dragonborn were something else entirely in 3e and didnt exist in 2e or pathfinder. no idea what they are or are not supposed to be able to do.
>>
>>50359246

Schmeh I don't think it's super hard.

Illithid:

+2 int

+1 wis

med

30ft move

darkvision 60

Psionics: at 1st level: command 1/day, 2nd: suggestion, 3rd: fear, INT is the casting stat.

Telepathy: an illithid can psychically communicate with one ally if they are within 30ft of the illithid.

Tentacle strike: An illithid can make natural attacks with its tentacles. These unarmed strikes deal 1d4+dex in damage.

Cantrip: All illthids know the mage hand cantrip.
>>
File: 1476608413159.jpg (111KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1476608413159.jpg
111KB, 500x500px
>>50359007
>Monks that follow the Way of the Bow find serenity in the prefect, precise arc of an arrow's flight
>prefect
>>
>>50359303
have you been gone a while? the creepy fetishists on pfg have startef playing 5e
>>
>>50359339
the fetishists don't actually play in any games, they just hang around to talk about their shitty fetishes
>>
>undead female art
>most have skin and moderately-toned abs

ugh
>>
File: gnome wizard.jpg (54KB, 307x512px) Image search: [Google]
gnome wizard.jpg
54KB, 307x512px
>>50359264
>the effect would supress her cloak making her vulnerable to losing concentration on it from damage, the problem solves itself
Huh, I hadn't realized that. You're right. And I guess unbreakable Banishments are right up an abjurer's alley. As for other party members:

>half-elf diviner (she's the one with the Ring of Protection) who's sure to take the Staff of Fire, since she's more blasty;
>human champion with 1 level in barb who just got an awesome greatsword;
>aaracokra life cleric with a magic shield that can cast absorb elements a few times and, upon being critically hit, allows the wearer and allies within 30ft to immediately expend a hit die;
>wood elf moon druid who gained an item that gives a +1 to attacks and damage from natural weapons
I'm thinking on some upgrade to this last item, since it's an insignia that shows Tiamat and it'd make sense (kinda) for it to get more powerful upon being bathed in dragon's blood. Nothing major, since it'll keep upgrading after each different chromatic they kill, just to let them know it'll get even better later.
>>
>>50359627
Rise of Tiamat?
>>
File: DND5e.jpg (41KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
DND5e.jpg
41KB, 500x572px
What are some good high fantasy books to read for inspiration ? Good being the key-word. No cheesy young adult tier crap or 20 book series.
>>
>>50357845
Stoneskin isn't that great in 5e, I don't really see the problem with an improved version. If I was worried about it being too powerful, decreasing the duration would do a better job. Something like 10 or 30 minutes would do.

If anything, it's the permanent resistance to force damage that raises my eyebrow, since force resistance is rare.
>>
>>50359627
Yeah if she got a Staff of Fire, no room to complain about her ring.

I like the natural weapon item, how do you plan on scaling it up? I'd say something to the line of "+1 to hit and damage for natural weapons, after killing an adult dragon, gain resistance to that dragons element. After three dragons are killed, grants +2, after five, +3."

Ending up as an item that gives +3 to hit and damage, resistance to Acid, Fire, Lightning, Cold and Poison.
>>
>>50359638
Almost there! We're about to reach the end of Hoard of the Dragon Queen, once they kill that dragon. I'm excited for the Council of Waterdeep and worried about roleplaying 10 different NPCs at once!

>>50359649
>since force resistance is rare
Force damage is rare, too. What made me add it there, was his suggestion to add the properties of a Brooch of Shielding. which, on top of that, also makes one immune to magic missile.
>>
>>50359646
>High Fantasy
>Novels
>Good
You're setting yourself up for disappointment, anon. If you're willing to branch out a bit from High Fantasy, I highly suggest either the Book of the New Sun (preferably the complete edition rather than the 4-volume edition), or the Tales of the Otori series.

Those are Dying Earth Science Fantasy and weebish Historical Fantasy respectively.
>>
>>50359778
>+1 to hit and damage for natural weapons, after killing an adult dragon, gain resistance to that dragons element. After three dragons are killed, grants +2, after five, +3.
That actually sounds pretty good. I was thinking of either giving him the option to add elemental damage on his strikes a few times per day or causing effects with his attacks. For example, after the white dragon, reducing the speed of anything he hits (like ray of frost). But then, having the player remember resistances is easier than having the DM remember someone's speed was lowered.
>>
>>50359646
It's not really high fantasy but David Gemmell wrote lots of fantastic mid-low fantasy novels.

His Drenai books are split into a few short series (Druss, Skilgannon, Waylander and maybe some others) and he did some standalone fantasy things. Worth checking out his Rigante series as well if you want something Celt-flavoured.
>>
>>50359789
I found that the party tended to only really interact with two or three of the NPC's at the council, so feel free to let some of them fade into the backdrop. The most memorable bit for our group was the council of dragons because we each kind of buddied up to one dragon each rather than having the party face do everything.
>>
>>50359789
I think force damage is intended to be a "reliable" form of damage because it's rare to see both vulnerability and resistance for it. It also seems to be the go-to damage type for when things go horribly wrong, like a botched teleport. I'd worry that offering easy resistance to it would reduce the some of the adverse consequences written into some powerful abilities.
>>
>>50359646
city of splendors waterdeep
counselors and kings trilogy
>>
>>50359854
I'd go with that, especially since the elemental resistances will be very useful in the later fights, especially if they have to fight Tiamat. Items for a moon druid especially are hard to come up with, anything that buffs the animal form are fantastic to gain.

If you want to add even more power to it (To make it a "Legendary" item.") let them do a breath weapon too. Either one per "Dragon" or maybe 2/day of elements avaliable via dragon. Using Dragonborn for scale? Or possibly roll the "Dragonsense" and "Resist Fear/Breath" elements of Dragonscale armour into the item.
>>
>>50358774
My group is playing in Eberron.

What is stopping you exactly?
>>
>>50360007
I'd go with "+1 to Hit and Damage in wildshape."
After killing an Adult Dragon, it gains resistance to that type.

After gaining 3 resistances, it becomes +2 to hit and damage, and grants advantage on breath weapon saves and frightening presence saves.

After gaining all 5 resistances, it becomes +3 to hit and damage.
>>
>>50360039
Not that anon, but probably the lack of official support. Not every group/DM is willing to put in the effort to convert setting specific content for official settings to a new edition.
>>
>>50359939
I'll have to wait and see how it goes. Just having to keep all of them, their goals and motivations in mind, is what worries me, that it'll be difficult.

>>50359965
I see your point. I might switch it to a +1 to saving throws, then. Or just remove it and keep it as is, it's already very powerful.

>>50360007
Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking of, like 4 or 5d6 damage once per day. I might add that after they kill a second dragon of the same kind, which will happen at least for one chromatic. But I like your original idea and will probably use it.
>>
>>50360053
but anon, theyre barely even supporting forgotten realms mechanically, and people are playing that just fine
>>
>>50360053
With the exception of Kalashtar, those weird ogre/oni things from Sarlona and some monsters, Eberron is covered pretty well by UA and some already available homebrew content (that is not even horrible)
>>
is there anything in 5e tht has DR or extra miss chances are they gone from this edition completely?
>>
>>50360106
There are rarely some specific features that add DR, but it is mostly gone. The only way players can get it is through the Heavy Armor Master feat.

Extra miss chances are sometimes on monsters but again, not universal or even common.
>>
>>50360172
what about DR on monster?
>>
>>50360228
There's flat resistances (half damage) and immunities (no damage).
>>
>>50360229
but no more "you must hit this hard to do any damage"? thats good
>>
>>50360240
I think some items/objects still have that but thats about it.
>>
>>50360258
Nah, objects have the same resistance system as monsters, just have an AC based on their materials. AC is both difficulty to hit AND difficulty to damage in 5e (and really always has been, they just apply it to objects this edition).
>>
>>50359007
Broken as fuck. Fighting Styles are a "full feature" for a level budget. Anything you add on top is going to push this over the line.

Even if you cut the Fighting Style, Bow Arts is pretty hardcore. Soul Arrow is dumb, if only because you'll obviously have sharpshooter. You'll have sharpshooter because now you can spam -5/+10 attacks like a boss.

AND you get a free attack at the start of combat, AND you can use it to make Stunning Strikes from range.

Jeez
>>
File: SiegeballArena[1].png (20KB, 825x525px) Image search: [Google]
SiegeballArena[1].png
20KB, 825x525px
Any of you guys played siegeball yet?
rules here https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Siegeball
>>
>>50360356
negative.

looks like it would combine well with conflict pvp though
>>
>>50360267
A few BIG things have Damage Thresholds, such as Warships and the like.
>>
>>50359851
Yeah I thought so , I guess it's not super important that the fantasy was high, just a preference for my setting.
>>50359915
>>50359997

Thanks, will check out
>>
>Second session EVER for me
>Some psychic thing shunts its way in to me (Sorcerer), the Fighter, and the Rogue's heads
>Attacks the Rogue seemingly, my character starts freaking the fuck out because they have a fear of being touched and their personal space being violated
>Whiff a Firebolt on it while screaming "GET OUT OF MY HEAD"
>The Fighter grapples my character because all he saw was me suddenly lash out at the thing, and then our super-low-HP Monk runs up and gets KOd instantly.
Was my character justified in using Thunderclap in a cramped space with the thing, Fighter, and Monk in attack range?

My grumpy Sorcerer later Burning Hands'd a room of 3 bugbears and a low-health Fighter, though it didn't KO him, and had a swing taken at them by the fighter afterwards while the party interrogated someone else. I did at least apologize, and now that I've leveled up I've swapped Burning Hands out for something a bit less indiscriminate.
>>
>>50360356
Sounds cool if you're a monk or maybe some kinda melee.
>>
>>50360356
My party's strength scores: 6, 6, 7, 8, 20. Yeah I don't think most of them would have fun in that.
>>
>>50360934
5e truely made a balanced game where Barbarians and only Barbarians can benefit from using a Strength build over a Dex build, with no benefit in the game towards going Strength, or having a passable strength score when you could dump-stat it even as a fighter or paladin.
>>
>>50358190
Man I'd love to, unfortunately my timezone doesn't really allow me to play with most people on roll20.
>>
>>50360949
I understand dex is a god tier stat, but when you want to use heavy armour, you need to go a str build. (Unless you are a dwarf)
>>
>>50360949
can you somehow benefit with gwm using dex? because all the best damage builds need gwm.
>>
>>50360934
keep in mind this will often be played in a greek style coliseum, so you can get the audience to help you by playing to the crowd, also you can use perception to notice stuff in the ground, like loose dirt to throw at people or broken arrowheads. Int could help with geometry and dex can really help with catching the siegeball. Also Con can really help when that ball hits you in the gut
>>
>>50361010
Australia?
>>
>>50361019
Middle East
>>
>>50361011
or y'know grapple or lift and do athletics stuff, people always forget that dnd isn't 100% combat (not saying you are just pointing it out)
>>
>>50361034
Ouch
>>
>>50358414
Dueling won't work when he's wielding a shield.
>>
File: 1465768508791.jpg (58KB, 377x593px) Image search: [Google]
1465768508791.jpg
58KB, 377x593px
DM looking for a bit of input.

Circumstance has lead my group to helping out a town guard they have gotten friendly with. Should I make him effectively a indepth NPC to give this guy some panache, or should I use the 1/8 CR sheet in the MM and make this a really goofy escort quest?

Pic related, inspiration for Guardsman Steve
>>
>>50361034
yeesh, thats rough buddy
>>
>>50361067
It states you gain the bonus as long as you're wielding a melee weapon in one hand, and no other weapons.
>>
>>50361067
Jesus what? You're like two years behind man.

Yes it does. A shield isn't a weapon. They clarified this is the first errata I believe
>>
>>50361094
Here's some stats for him as CR2 so he might live a little longer
Guardsman Steve
Medium humanoid (any race), any alignment
Armor Class 17 (scale mail, shield)
Hit Points 39 (6d8 + 12)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
15 (+2) 13 (+1) 14 (+2) 10 (+0) 13 (+1) 10 (+0)
Saving Throws Con +4
Skills Perception +3, Insight +3
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages any one language (usually Common)
Challenge 2 (450 XP)
Alert. The guard has advantage on initiative rolls.
Actions
Multiattack. The guard makes one melee attack with its
spear and one shield bash, if wielding a shield.
Spear. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit,
reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d6 + 2)
piercing damage, or 6 (1d8 + 2) piercing damage if used
with two hands to make a melee attack.
Shield Bash. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5
ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d4 + 2) bludgeoning damage. If
the target is a Medium or smaller creature, it must
succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be
knocked prone.
Reactions
Protection. When a creature the guard can see attacks a target other than the guard within 5 feet of it, the guard imposes disadvantage on the attack roll. The guard must be wielding a shield.
>>
>DM goes into detail describing this badass knight guy who is pissed at us for some reason
>I beat him out in initiative handily
>heat metal on his plate armor
>DM bertfaces me
>dude didn't do fucking shit in the entire combat

why have I never heard anything about heat metal before? Sure it's only good against enemies wearing armor but holy fuck is it good against enemies wearing armor
>>
>>50361011
Name one reason to use heavy armour.
>>50361012
Name one reason to GWM over Sharpshooter.
>>50361045
Name one reason to lift things.

Grappling is not a legitimate point either, as the only class that should be grappling is the aforementioned token strength user Mr. Barbarian.
>>
What's your favorite melee weapon?
>>
>>50361141
Most guys in armour are tough enough to shrug off the meager damage and at least try to nail you in the face with a warhammer to break concentration.

Not saying it's bad, no-save no-shrug disadvantage on attacks is pretty brutal.
>>
>>50361152
I've always been a sucker for daggers. They're small and don't do much damage-wise (unless you're a rogue, which hey is my favorite class), but they can be thrown, and they're useful as a tool in a ton of situations.
>>
>>50361141
Sounds like your DM needs to make more otherworldly threats.

If it were me, I'd be sending the Froghemoth from 5th Edition Foes down your gullet.
>>
>>50361149
>heavy armour
Because you can get an AC three points higher than a light armour user and all the good magic armour is heavy

>GWM
Because sometimes the enemy is up in your face - and also it synergises with PAM for maximum damage output

>lifting
Because heavy things can be in your way
>>
>>50361152
Bastard Sword from past editions

now, Greatsword w/ GWF. Although my Paladin is currently using a Glaive with Polearm Master and GWF and it is just fucking amazing, I vow'ed a hobgobbo boss warlord guy last session and landed all three attacks against him and smite with every hit

blew my load but it was glorious, he was left at low enough hit points to die to a Magic Missle
>>
>>50361152
Morning Star, it's a shame they got pissed on this edition, no versatile, mediocre damage and they even lost the "Counts as both bludgeon and piercing" damage that make them the side-arm that everyone wanted. Morning Star and a Longsword and you can take on the world.

At the moment, I'd say Lance, since I realised that it's a 1d12 damage Reach weapon that small races can use I've been having lots of fun with my Goblin Barbarian. Free disengage to back up to avoid the disadvantage for being 5ft really helps.
>>
Best spells for a Lore bard to steal at level 6?

I was thinking Fireball for sure, need some strong aoe that isn't Shatter.
>>
>>50361172
Plate Armour 18AC with multiple downsides.
Studded Leather 17AC without downsides.
Mage armour/Lizardbutt 18AC with upsides.

If they are in your face, Crossbow them at point blank for similar damage (45.5 base weapon damage vs 46.5 base weapon damage assuming the standardized action-surge nova) but with greater accuracy significantly improving total damage.

Move past heavy thing with superior acrobatics and agility.
>>
>>50361216
Counterspell is a must-buy imo. From DM to a player, you can really fuck with your DM or create some really hype moments with Counterspell.

Haste is great for utility. Imagine the look on your fellow martial player's face when you make him more durable and give him even more attacks. Conversely, Slow looks really interesting for completely fucking with the tide of battle.

For survivability, Blink sounds nuts.
>>
>>50361216
Other people can do Fireballs, you don't need to do fireballs.

Counterspell, mandatory spell that will save your team several times its worth.
Haste is a great spell and most martials will suck your dick for a taste.
Aura of Vitality makes your party never-die.
Conjure animals if you don't have a druid and want to faceroll combats, although your dm may become "ThatGM" if you abuse it too much.
>>
>>50361216
Counterspell. Stopping your team getting fireballed or slowed is far more value than hitting your enemy with a fireball yourself. This spell is god for bards. Nothing is sweeter than the GM claiming his NPC uses Misty Step to escape and save themselves only to be shut down.
>>
>>50361216
Counterspell, because this may only come up once, but it will be worthwhile.

GM spellcaster: I cast this vital spell that will demolish you and or evade death!
Party Wizard: Counterspell!
GM spellcaster: Aha, I counterspell your counterspell, check mate pathetic wiz-
Party Bard: Counterspell :^)
>>
>>50361233
>multiple downsides
Disadvantage on Stealth is one downside
>studded leather
Still less AC, can't wear the cool magic armours like Adamantine
>mage armour
Good luck having enough ASIs to get 20 Dex along with 20 in your casting stat, plus decent Con, plus any feats you want
>lizardbutt
It's just one race, and its other features are nothing to particularly write home about

The great weapon fighting style is also on average more damage given that extra accuracy gives diminishing returns and PCs are likely to hit anyway, plus you get better bonuses alongside the +10/-5 with GWM, plus two handed weapons have higher damage die.

Both options are viable and about equal, and while Dex is probably easier to make a build from it doesn't completely outclass Str the way you're implying.
>>
>>50361297
Can that even happen with one enemy wizard or are you referring to multiple wizards? I know Counterspell is a reaction, but I remember hearing a lot of instances on how spellcasters in 5e can only cast one major spell per turn and any subsequent spells are 2nd level at best if you got a generous DM. That would probably raise a red-flag to all your rules-lawyers.
>>
>>50361216
Counter
Fucking
Spell
Is essentially a class feature for lore bards, like it is for abjuration wizards, like magic missile is for evocation and like find familiar is for all wizards.

>>50361304
>disadvantage on stealth
>takes fucking ages to put on, most likely to suffer if DM decides to make you wake up in middle of the night
>very hard to take off, heat metal is practically a death sentence for you
>weighs a lot, more likely to get your DM to cause you to drown or fall down a pit if they're particularly spiteful
>if your dex isn't any good, you won't be able to use medium or light armour if there's a reason you'll need to (stealth mission, lost armour, one of the lighter armours is magical)
>requires 15 strength to use, when medium armour only requires 14 dex and dex is a much better stat than strength in general
>if you have 15 strength + 20 dex, you can wear heavy armour and not suffer the penalties of low dex, AND you can wear ANY armour viably if you should wish to.

A guy with 14 dex and medium armour or 20 dex and light armour hardly loses out compared to a guy in heavy armour. 1 AC is kind of a thing, but it's not a massive deal.
Also, AT can get mage armour + 20 dex easy.

>>50361011
And you see, the problem is that if you have a spare 15 you can shove it in strength for heavy armour and then go dexterity anyway.

I will say though, strength as a main stat is viable for:
PAM Paladin
GWM Fighter
Non-AC focused Barbarian
And nobody else.
>>
>>50361359
>>50361304
And I'm not saying you're entirely wrong about things but seriously

I really feel they should've given heavy armour some other benefits other than just a '+1 AC' and 'you can use the heavy armour master feat!' because paladins don't have time for such feats and it doesn't really feel very heavy. You're technically not slowed at all, yet also you gain no benefit against sneak attacks, you gain no benefit against fireballs, this and that...

Heavy armour isn't defunct. 1 AC is nice and your DM might throw magical armour your way despite it being 5e, But it doesn't feel heavy.

And woe be to the 'no sleeping in heavy armour' guy who dumped dex for flavour who becomes a super squishy.
>>
>>50361309
Huh, a good point. Very curious.
A similar situation would be a caster runs out of reach of a fighter and suffers a hit which he elects to cast Shield, but has he stopped himself from casting another spell that turn?
>>
GWM is shit for paladins, full stop. PAM instead.
PAM can be used viably with wisdom or charisma, though normally it uses strength.

GWM is good for fighters, yes. As pointed out, you can also use Sharpshooter. If you also obtain crossbow expert, you may hold a hand crossbow in one hand and a shield in the other while being GAURANTEED to make your bonus attack, unlike GWM. Each attack would deal 1d6+10 instead of 2d6+10, sure, but let's go over that quickly.

2d6+10 with GWF gives you roughly 18.33 average damage.
1d6+10 with hand crossbow gives you roughly 13.5 damage, but you also get a shield and a fighting style. Guess where that fighting style goes? Oh, +2 to hit. Not to mention, you will be using your bonus action more often than the fighter for extra hits. Your main issue here is you need an extra feat, but as a fighter you get plenty of these.

Then you have the simple benefits of being dex in the first place. As stated before, 15 strength + 20 dex is simply better than 20 strength + 15 dex. For a fighter, getting a spare 15 for strength isn't too difficult. You might be worse at grappling, sure, but you get always-useful benefits such as better dex saves and better initiative and better stealth.

There's also a significant advantage in being able to fight at range as well as in melee. The number of times I've seen melee people get fucked up because they insisted on moving in on a melee-only monster is saddening.

Barbarians can just take rogue levels instead of GWM.
>>
>>50361542
Whoops, let me just correct something.
Actually, apparently the errata fucked things up by making you need a free hand to load a crossbow, even if you ignore the loading property.

I bet there's a loophole around here somewhere, but honestly that does balance it.
>>
>>50357858

is that a dorf version of James Cosmo?!?

link: http://www . imdb . com/name/nm0181920/?ref_=nv_sr_2
>>
So the party screwed up and are now slaves of a tribe of Grung (sentient poisonous tree frogs from Volo's). What sort of menial tasks would the party be set?
>>
>>50361683
Reaching high things.
>>
File: 1452372481805.png (223KB, 356x334px) Image search: [Google]
1452372481805.png
223KB, 356x334px
>>50361683
They should be placed on the Shitpost Advisory Council as masters of Shitpost.

The frogs shall rule the internet.
>>
I wanna be a Light Cleric, the CD and spell list and the flare thing all sound fun as fug

But, it's like this blasty cleric thing that doesn't have an actual fall back for blasting. Sacred flame is a save and does 1d8 (eventually 2-4d8 + wis but that still sucks), plus 60ft range

What would you guys do? I really can't figure out a way to obtain a reliable source of damage without multi-classing for awhile
>>
Anykne got dungeonology? I cant see it in the mega.
>>
>>50361733
1 level in warlock for +cha to damage.
2 levels in warlock for agonizing blast instead.
6 levels in wizard for half cantrip damage even if they succeed the save.
Other things.

However, all solutions are multiclasses.

Don't lose your spell slots and remember there are spells such as 'call lightning' (Though I think only tempest gets that) which only take one slot but allow many attacks over a combat.
>>
>>50361152
Longsword
>>
>>50361733
2-4d8+Wis still sucks. Bitch that is about as good as cantirps get.

Fireball everything like a nigga. you are EXACTLY as offensive as a Wizard or any other blaster-caster.

Remember, you are the CLERIC, you are reasonably tanky with great support options and guess what, the same offensive potential as any other blaster caster, stop trying to jew that extra DPR because you're already about as good as it gets.
>>
>>50361733
Talk with your DM. You may trade Light or Sacred Flame (or both?) for Produce Flame or Firebolt or whatever.

>>50361788
>1 level in warlock for +cha to damage.
what do you mean
>>
>>50361844
Undying Light warlocks get +Cha to Radiant spells, increasing the damage on sacred flame in exchange for fucking your spell progression.
>>
>>50361733
Sacred Flame is good as cantrips go, but you can grab Produce Flame, Create Bonfire, or Thorn Whip from Magic Initiate Druid.
Plus, lots of good level ones to choose from.
>>
>>50361852
Isn't Undying Light pretty absurd OP though?
>>
>>50361788
Warlock could be interesting, Undying Light would be incredibly thematic. Seeker could be too though not as good or thematic

With half elf and 27 pointbuy it'd be tight but I can completely dump str and int and only need 14 dex for max AC.

Dipping two levels of lock for agonizing Eblast, more spells known, undying light's 1st level ability that is actually amazing for a light cleric, one invocation I could use for ??? and two 1st level spells per short rest does seem pretty worth it. One more level would give me two level 2 spells per short plus a pact boon, chainlock would add a lot of utility I guess. That doesn't seem as worth it tho

Only issue is delaying cleric stuff which does really suck.
>>
>>50361874
It gets pretty stupid if you start combining it with like sorcerer + GFB + Rune Scribe and other stuff for fire damage abuse.
It's probably not a *huge* deal here. So he adds CHA to his 4d8+WIS (~23 damage). Now he's at ~28, and that's if he has 20 WIS and 20 CHA. Although his does boost other spells a few points.
Still far less than EBs ~42.
>>
>>50361733
Sacred flame is fine. Don't sweat over 1 point of damage.
>>
>>50361837
>stop trying to jew that extra DPR

Why shouldn't I? Is there any reason for me to not be as effective as I can be?

I'm new to 5e and I've noticed that there is just this weird hate or general distaste towards actual gamey stuff among alot of its players, which I just don't get. Maybe just people recovering from 3.pf's bullshit?

Like 5e is so basic and simple why shouldn't I try to do something fun
>>
>>50361910
Okay, let me rephrase this.

Yes, you can go a one level dip into warlock and utterly gimp yourself by dropping a dead level into a random class, putting your high level spellcasting on the back foot and delaying your powerful traits, abilities and bonuses to your attribute scores if you think that is worth it for +2 damage on a spell you will cast maybe once every now and again.

The plus side is, because you fucked your spellcasting progression and are missing out on the new level of spells or extra spell slots, you'll need to use your shitty cantrips more often so it's a win win right?
>>
>>50361910
By design, the cleric class is good. It woul STILL be good, albeit bland, sans domains. As such there isn't a real need to try and squeeze slightly better cantrips out of things, especially since higher level features are typically more interesting, if not always consistently stronger
>>
>>50361910
The distaste for "Gamey" stuff is mostly a distaste for people taking 2 levels of fighter for Action Surge because guess what, Action surge is very powerful.

I understand the desire to be efficient, but D&D isn't a dickwaving contest where you need to multiclass dip 1 level of warlock and 2 levels of fighter just to add 1.025% combat damage increase per round assuming you've got two seperate wizards buffing you and you're fighting a 10AC spherical terrasque in a vacuum.
>>
>>50361973
>Space tarrasque
>Regenerative abilities powered by nuclear fusion, looks like a sphere because it is a sphere of helium.
>Intelligent clus of hydroge with nuclear fusion.
>Miniaturized sentient star.
>Suitable for spelljammer.
>>
How would you fix the forge cleric? The initial abilities are great, but gaining nothing but passive abilities after level 3 is boring.

Here's how I would fix it:

>blessing of the forge increases to +2 at level 8, and +3 at level 17.
>Artisans blessing gold cap increases by 100 at levels 8 and 17.
>Soul of the forge loses all passives except fire resistance, gains the ability to create something, need ideas.
>Divine strike can apply to damage dealt with blessings of the forge created weapons, regardless of who uses them. Uses a reaction if done during another creatures turn, and can't be used if used during the clerics turn.
>Saint of forge and fire passives removed except for fire immunity. Add another item creation feature.
>>
I missed this week UA's reaction. What's your verdict on Grave Cleric? That Channel Divinity might be pretty strong with a good party.
>>
>>50362542
I believe the general consensus was it's pretty good, maybe even a bit OP, but definitely thematic.
>>
>>50362542
>That Channel Divinity might be pretty strong with a good party.

Assassin/ambuscade could do some fun with it.
>>
>>50362529
Don't touch Divine Strike. Stability through domains is a good thing.
Changing Soul of the Forge to an active would be enough.
Saint of Forge isn't going to be achieved in the first place, but even if it is it's fine to have 1 more passive besides Divine Strike.

I agree with scaling Artisan's Blessing, but it honestly shouldn't change that much.
>>
Is a Bardbarian viable without multiclassing?

I basically just want to play a Barbarian who is also good at performing music, knowledgeable of history/poetry, and who has decent Charisma.

Would investing proficiencies/skillpoints into that cripple me with 27 pointbuy? What race would you recommebd for it?
>>
>>50362651
I agree with most everything, but disagree with the notion that high level features should get less attention. The game needs to be complete and playable and fun at all levels.
>>
>>50362701
Just take the Entertainer background.
>>
File: CoSStrahd.png (502KB, 696x576px) Image search: [Google]
CoSStrahd.png
502KB, 696x576px
Is CoS Strahd well designed or nah?
>>
How many classes is it possible to multiclass with?
>>
>>50362776
All of them, if you have 13 in every stat.
>>
>>50362792
With point-buy you can have 13 in every stat with 10 in constitution. I'm not sure how well it would work taking one level in every class, though I feel it would be a rather entertaining trainwreck to watch.
>>
>>50362848
You can then take four levels in one class and for levels in another to get 13 constitution. I don't remember if con is used for multiclassing.
>>
> Want to be Half-Elf Cleric of light
> Want to use shortsword or longsword (for the future sun sword)
> Either have to trade 2 skill proficiency or a feat for it

Not being Wood Elf is suffering.
>>
So what's the deal with Mystic anyways? When's it come out? It looks neat for a GOOlock multiclass for flavor but I'd rather wait until it's properly released before looking too much into it.
>>
What are some good aoe spells to put inside a wall of force? It would probably be cast by someone else so concentration isn't an issue
>>
>>50362986
You can use any weapon in-game, you just dont get Proficiency with it.
There is even a section in the PHB about learning how to do stuff inbetween adventures. I am sure you can talk to your DM and say "hey, i've been using this sword I don't have proficiency with for this whole adventure, i'd like to take the time between adventures to study with it more and gain proficiency with this 1 specific kind of martial weapon"
>>
>>50362986
Clerics aren't sword-wielders, so it makes sense to make some trade-offs. You could always start with a level in fighter or something. It would make for nice fluff, too.
Or, you know, play a paladin.
>>
>>50363035
The training rules in the PHB could be used, but would imply taking months off of adventuring and expending money on training.
Which makes sense.

>>50363011
I feel like playing the only two classes that don't stack their spellcasting with other classes would be a bit underpowered. Still, if you're more interested in fluff, it does seem kind of cool.
>>
>>50363037
If I'm a Wood Elf, I can wield sword just fine though and I get 1 more proficiency than a wood born Half-Elf

Wood Sharp ears is dirty though.
>>
>>50363060

Do you just pay out the money and do a time skip for training or just sit around taking turns for several sessions doing boring laborious shit till you are trained or can't take it and decide to go adventuring again??

How do people track the passage of time in game? I've read the PHB and this still confuses me. Thanks Anons for enlightening me !
>>
>>50363084
>wanting to be a treefucker
>>
>>50363060
>Take months off of adventuring
I mean, if you have the gold to survive, it doesn't really matter because it takes all of 5 minutes to happen in real life as everyone around the table says what they do over that span of time.

If you have someone with proficiency with Martial Weapons in the group you can argue that said character can aid you in your training.
Maybe you can even roleplay it so that during short rests you and this other character spar and if your DM is good, he might reward you with half proficiency with it for the first while.

I would bring this up with your DM and ask "is there any way for me to get proficiency with 1 martial weapon and not all the other martial weapons, because you only care about this one option.
>>
>>50363060
It'd be a level 3 dip at most, since my GOOlock is going for True Polymorph as part of his/it's background goal.
>>
>>50363031
Wall of Fire
>>
>>50363106
After an adventure ends and the players have a moment to decide what to do next, some may want to take a timeskip to train or maybe make some money as a craftsman.
It's just up to the players really. If there's no pressing matters they can just go on vacation for a few months, even years, if they want to.
>>
>>50363106
It depends on the game. Ideally, everyone's taking a few months off of adventuring to train, or craft, or spend time with their families, or spend their money on hookers and blow. During that time, you can train in a proficiency.
The passage of time is entirely dictated by your DM. You'll have to bring it up with him.

>>50363121
> it doesn't really matter because it takes all of 5 minutes to happen in real life
The problem becomes if, in-character, the other characters don't want to take 3+ months off of adventuring. It needs to be a group decision.
>Maybe you can even roleplay it so that during short rests you and this other character spar and if your DM is good, he might reward you with half proficiency with it for the first while.
I believe sparring would disqualify the rest, as it is strenuous activity. From personal experience, sparring is about as tiring as jogging. If you do it for an hour, you're not resting.
It's not unreasonable to demand actual time off and dedication to learn how to use a weapon. Those things are not as simple as people tend to assume. You don't have to be a bad DM to enforce that.
>>
>>50363121
You could also just ask your DM if you could have paid for said training before your character joined the party and pay for it from your starting gear gold/take less starting equipment.
>>
>>50362986
>anticipating that you will receive a particular powerful magic item in the future

You're doing 5e wrong.Odds are that you will never come across it and your DM will not allow you to purchase or create it. This isn't like previous editions where there's a huge magic item economy.

Also, as other anons have said, you can still carry and use a cool magic weapon even if you're not proficient in it. As a light cleric, you're never going to be really good with weapons anyway. (Light clerics get Potent Cantrip and spells like Fireball instead of Divine Strike - they're really meant to play more like wizards than fighters.) Our own party has a light cleric who demanded the Flame Tongue we found and uses it despite having no proficiency in it, just because it's cool. That's allowed.
>>
>>50363247
We're playing CoS. I got spoiled by this thread that there will be a Sun Sword somewhere.
>>
>>50363269
Ok, now you're REALLY doing 5e wrong. This isn't a fucking JRPG where you read Gamefaqs and get 100% completion. You're supposed to be playing a role. Stop metagaming.
>>
File: Capture.png (194KB, 1140x401px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
194KB, 1140x401px
Did they change Create Bonfire? I could have sworn it was "save or take half", that being the biggest defining trait for me taking it over another Cantrip.

Am I developing Alzheimer's or something?
>>
>>50363285
There are no "save or take half" cantrips. Cantrips either do damage or they do not - no guarantees without expending an actual spell slot.
>>
>>50363269
>>50363283
More importantly, there is no guarantee you'll get a sunsword in Curse of Strahd. It is merely a possibility.

>>50363283
I had a session with a DM that literally picked up the DMG, showed a magic item to a player and said the following words: "this is almost mandatory for your build".

It was ten hours of pure fucking sadness.
>>
>>50363300
Yeah that makes sense, but that's why I took it- as far as I knew it was the only cantrip like that.

It just seems really unlikely that I'd misread it three times while putting it on the character sheet and that the DM didn't notice either when he looked it up.

Oh well, it's still good for area denial without wasting a spell slot.
>>
>>50363335
>I had a session with a DM that literally picked up the DMG, showed a magic item to a player and said the following words: "this is almost mandatory for your build".
I can't even. What was the item and what was the build?
>>
>>50358534
>tfw Battlemaster Tavern Brawler or Shield Master
>either punch them, knocking them down in the process, and bonus grapple
>or bonus knockdown and attack action grapple
>>
>>50358534
Grappling rules are so retarded broken this edition.
>>
>>50363300
Unless you're an evoker.
>>
File: Capture.png (31KB, 348x185px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
31KB, 348x185px
>>50363060
>I feel like playing the only two classes that don't stack their spellcasting with other classes would be a bit underpowered.

Actually this could end up being pretty stronk if I'm reading it right, (which i'm very likely not)
>>
I'm trying to wrap my head around around casting two spells a turn

Warlock says he can eldritch blast twice since it's a cantrip, and he can cast a cantrip as a bonus action

He says its on 202 but I don't see it
>>
>>50363365
some protective staff and the guy had a very basic warlock
the DM and his brother kinda bullied him into picking "optimized" stuff

if you want another fun detail we had a CR7 priestess bound, gagged and grappled by all 5 of us and it took half an hour to defeat her because, and I quote
> "it's D&D, daggers do d4 damage"

and once we actually killed her he gave us full XP and access to all of her treasures
straight from lvl 4 to 5 we went

in 1 session

of Out of the Abyss

hold me
>>
>>50363379
One of my players managed to successfully grapple a dragon last session.

Just straight up suplexed it, then held it prone as everyone else spent two turns shredding it in melee.

I get that they're level 12 and that they can all do somewhat broken shit in certain circumstances by now, but Jesus fucking Christ I hadn't realized how strong that shit was and how simple it was to execute until now.
>>
>>50363475
>if you want another fun detail we had a CR7 priestess bound, gagged and grappled by all 5 of us and it took half an hour to defeat her because, and I quote
> "it's D&D, daggers do d4 damage"
But Coup de Grace. Well, at least you got a shit ton of exp and loot out of the experience.
>>
>>50363468
He might be a sorclock, which can do that. But, no other class can.
>>
>>50363468
You might be thinking of Eldritch Blast itself, which gets extra attacks as you level up instead of more damage.
>>
>>50363468
Bonus Action (p. 202)
A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn.
> You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action

So he's not wrong. But why whould he be able to cast a cantrip as a bonus action? Is he a Sorcerer as well?
>>
>>50363448
That depends on how you're reading it. Using this with a high-CHA character will certainly make you the most persuasive face on the face of the Earth. It won't do much for your combat, if that's what you're wondering about.

>>50363468
You can't normally cast a spell as a bonus action - it requires specific circumstances (e.g. being a sorcerer and using Quickened Spell).
If you somehow get the ability to cast Eldritch Blast as a bonus action, then you can use it twice in the same turn. Otherwise, you cannot.

>>50363475
You should never roll attacks and damage against a bound and gagged opponent when not in combat. Hit points are meant to represent combat advantage, not physical health.
>>
>>50363497
>combat advantage
Poor choice of words, but you know what I mean. Taking damage doesn't necessarily mean taking a wound, and vice-versa.
>>
>tfw love worldbuilding and campaign design but can't act for shit or do accents so all my NPCs end up feeling like lifeless wooden cutouts

Anyone else got this problem?
>>
>>50363512
learn to act

>>50363497
> never roll attacks and damage against a bound and gagged opponent
you are preaching to the choir
i was the sad fuck that had to endure this 10 hours session

why did i offer to host this shit
>>
>>50363497
>Hit points are meant to represent combat advantage, not physical health.
Anon. Don't be an anti-meatpoints fag. Just because coup de grace is a thing doesn't mean that hitpoints are anything other than meatpoints.
>>
>>50363532
But anon, coup de grace isn't a thing in 5e.
>>
>>50363512
All my NPCs have one of like 3 voices, the old guy, the young girl or the crazy guy. Players don't mind though.
>>
>>50363512
Don't "Talk" as your characters. Just go into heavy description about mannerisms and details about each character

>He explained that the guards that patrol at night are more like thugs than guards, as he says this his eyes dart back and forth and he pulls his arms back closer to his body.

>When she tells you that the goblins have taken her little sister, her normally strong and powerful voice cracks a bit. Her face is turning a little red, her eyes are welling up and she grits her teeth. She's clenching her fists so tightly you can hear the metal plates of her gauntlets scratching each other.

You don't need to be an actor to Roleplay.
>>
>>50363568
The problem is that my group's other DM is great at acting/accents and talks as characters constantly, which is what the rest of us all prefer to do instead of describing conversations.

I'd love to just skirt the issue entirely, but our sessions are notably less enjoyable if we play that way.
>>
is there a way to cast a spell after/when you die? Like a scroll or programmed enchantment?

I want to cast resurrection on myself
>>
>>50363589
I am not entirely surprised that you're a worse DM if your reaction to "I can't do this" is to come and cry on an imageboard. Maybe while you're busy drowning us in tears, he's actually getting better at something.

Learn your shit.
>>
>>50363613
>"Learn your shit"
>Not offering any advice on how to improve
Anon is posting BECAUSE anon wants to learn, you condescending prick.
>>
>>50363613
>implying you've never complained about anything on this anonymous Vietnamese frog photography facebook group

But really, why are you getting so tetchy about this?
>>
>>50363613
I'm posting specifically because I want to talk to others who have the same problem, and maybe learn what they did to improve. Hence me responding to you with an explanation of why your suggestion wouldn't work for me.
>>
>>50361309

This has been addressed as entirely valid. A Wizard can Counterspell a Counterspell that is counterspelling his spell.

It may seem like bullshit, but you're forcing that Wizard to give up another spell slot AND a reaction (which he might've wanted for Shield).
>>
>>50363649
>Vietnamese frog photography facebook group
Boys, this is the new standard to beat.

>>50363681
Classy, yet demeaning. 10/10 response.
>>
>>50363690
>Counterspell a Counterspell that is counterspelling his spell
No, because that would require the use of 2 reactions (the first counterspell AND the second counterspell)
>>
File: cf5.gif (2MB, 404x286px) Image search: [Google]
cf5.gif
2MB, 404x286px
>>50363591
Fate trigger I think
I may be wrong though

Alright 5eg
I have a favor from the most powerful people in my campaigns physical plane coming at me, what should I ask for?
I'm not a man of great wealth, I've lived within my means doing Merc work for a guild my entire life
Level 10 fighter
What should I ask for? One of my characters goals is to slay the we tailed kitsune who murderized his dad and mom, but asking for their death isn't my characters style
He wants to kill her himself
He knows where this kitsune us, in fact she's part of the group that giving me this favor
Its limited to a favor from these top 10 people or an item
Should I ask the kitsune to explain herself as my favor, or ask for a dank magical item?
What would you ask for ?
Might go for a portable fortress, those look pretty neat.
I'm already set on weapons and armor, I got a sword blessed by dol dorn and lathander, and a kings magic air set for rescuing his sons lover
>>
>>50363729
Ask for a private meeting with her. In it, kill her.
>>
>>50363722

You've misread me, but then, I wasn't exactly clear. The Wizard can cast a spell and Counterspell someone else's Counterspell of his initial spell.

Wizard A: Spell
Wizard B: Counterspell
Wizard A: Counterspell Wizard B's Counterspell
>>
>>50363591
The Contingency spell. This will limit you to Revivify, since the contingent spell needs a casting time of 1 action.
>>
>>50363758
I've tried to fight her once, and it was made pretty clear the difference in strength
She literally ripped the flesh of a living party member then proceeded to backstab us disguised as said party member
I lost 3 party members to that, ones hospitalized for two months due to brain damage
>>
>>50363786
>ones hospitalized for two months due to brain damage
your sessions sound brutal
>>
>>50363786
Then ask for her to be forced to fight you with her magic sealed abd no magic items.
>>
>>50363786
So she's some kind of ridiculous DMPC. Makes sense, since she's a fucking kitsune in an edition that's supposed to be free of that kind of weeaboo shit.

Don't fight fair, then. Sabotage the building. Hire every assassin you can find to help you. Poison the food. Anything you can think of. Do you want to piss and moan about how she's too strong, or do you want this bitch dead?
>>
>>50363786
Go Nordic and have your character take her as his bride to repay the death of your parents by contributing to the continuation of their lineage.
>>
>>50363848
We do have an NPC we can call on for assassinations , he does it for 500 gold a kill
>>50363832
I'll ask for a meeting then have him break in and paralyze/kill her
>>50363861
Funnily enough her sister is interested in me and we've smashed

I'm really worried about a 1 on 1 because she specializes in crazy illusions and charms etc
>>
>>50363786
>I've tried to fight her once
And yet she's still granting you a favor? This sounds extremely suspicious.
>>
Anyone know what City of Brass actually is? It looks like a really expensive version of roll20 to me
>>
>>50363887
She's not granting the favor per se, she's part of the group that's granting me a favor, the top 10 fighters/adventurers on the mortal plane, called the champion 10
I did well enough in one of their tourneys to be rewarded as such
Here I am
>>
>>50363729
>>50363758
>>50363832
>>50363861
>Ask her for an explanation
>Battle without magic
>Private meeting
>Take her as a bride
Combine all of the above - ask her out on a date as your favor!
No, seriously, hear me out. She's not likely to show up decked out in magic gear, so that's a good start. During the date, you can directly ask her about your parents, and she probably won't dodge the issue too much. If it goes well, she might even use some magic power (teleporting to a venue, etc.), so if you decide to fight her at the end she'll be a bit drained. And if it goes REALLY well, you can forgive her, she will fall in love with you, and you can get married and live happily ever after while fucking the DMPC, which is its own reward because he's going to hate it.
Man up, anon. Do it.
>>
>>50363589
I don't have another solution than that other than practice accents and watch youtube videos for acting.

There isn't really any advice other than that, especially if your group's enjoyment is so strongly linked to the acting the other DM does.

If the only option that the players enjoy is acting, and you want them to enjoy your game as much as the other DM's games, then you have to get better at it.

Additionally, you don't need to do accents, just do something special for each character. My DM was roleplaying a Mimic the other day and we bargained with it by feeding it some rations and it let us pass. He didn't do anything special except that after every statement the Mimic made he said "om nom nom" and licked his lips.

Or you could just have almost no roleplaying. Diminish the amount of roleplaying with NPCs and focus on having the party roleplaying within itself. I would also put more emphasis on Exploration and Combat in this kind of situation.
>>
>>50363923
She knows that the party hates her, even if the other members of her organization don't know or don't care. They've tried to fight her once. She may even know why. It's just too implausible to have her believe that the guy who's sworn to kill her is suddenly flirting with her with no ulterior motives. Instead say that it's to sue for peace, because both sides of this feud have lost too much already. Don't try to trick her into thinking you like her because she knows you don't. Trick her into thinking that even though you don't like her, you feel that the cycle of revenge must end. And then have the peace conference in the most deadly place you can imagine.

She's not stupid. She'll know that it's probably a trap. She'll come fully armed. She'll have friends hiding nearby. She may even send an illusory duplicate of herself. You need to plan for all that shit. So hire your assassin friend, get some scrolls of true seeing, booby-trap and poison everything, get some hostages she cares about if you can find any. Don't just hope that plan A will work - have contingency plans through the middle of the alphabet. Have countermeasures for every ability you've seen her use, preferably multiple redundant countermeasures. Wage total war.
>>
>>50364033
>Implying a date doesn't imply you're actually interested in resolving this peacefully
I'm totally serious. Call it what you want, but at the end of the day you're meeting one-on-one with a hot-ass waifu foxgirl to try and reach an understanding. If it unexpectedly turns out you have great chemistry, what is there to complain about?
>>
>>50364059
She killed your family. Are you really that much of a pathetic beta that you'll forgive anyone of anything as long as she's hot? Some things are more important than getting your dick wet. Like revenge.
>>
>>50364033
There is a crown kings ball coming up, should I wait to do it then?
Bring assassins with me to the ball,
She has no friends sadly
She murders her associates when she feels like it.
The assassin managed to kill a demon once we sent it back to its circle of hell
Tgats how our party made it good in with Asmodeus. We killed one of his competitors.
She has 13 tails if that matters
>>50364079
That's why I don't think my character would succeed at a 1 on 1, he'd play it like a hothead
>>
>>50363729
Ask for her to become a Djinni and then throw her lamp into a VOLCANO!
>>
>>50364079
>Like revenge.
Revenge is literally the dumbest reason to ever do anything. The only thing it can possibly benefit is your hurt feelings. If you want to resort to /pol/-speak, then I'd posit that devoting all your efforts towards a person other than yourself is miles more beta than forgiveness.

>>50364092
That setting sounds good, as long as you don't reveal your cards an leave yourself an out in case you decide not to kill her.
Remember, anon - anger is a decision. Let it go. If she must be stopped, then she must be stopped. But if she could instead be a sexy antihero, that's the better option.
>>
>>50364118
Revenge might be dumb but justice must be served.
>>
>>50364118
I know that so I'm thinking of favoring her to the ball, have her explain herself to me there, have assassin on standby, if it goes down bad, signal for assassin. If all goes well I'll forgive and let go
After all my sister is still alive, she was on pilgrimage when my parents were slaughtered
>>50364141
Part of me wants this too
Ergo why I'm split on the decision
My characters driving forces are to either settle down with a family it get justice for his parents
>>
>>50364092
>she has no friends and a habit of murdering her associates
The people who owe you a favor are her associates. You can probably convince them that her death would mean more security for them. You could pretty easily get the assistance of 9 mega-powerful adventurers on this.

>>50364141
This. If you don't do right by your dead family, it's like you died with them. Whatever mental gymnastics you do to try to convince yourself not to fight back because it's too hard just bring you that much closer to being a non-entity.
>>
>>50364118
>the only thing it can possibly benefit is your hurt feelings.
Not really. You can also benefit those of others hurt by the one you seek revenge upon, and succeeding would also benefit their potential future victims - assuming they're still a threat.

But really, what's wrong with thinking of yourself? If the pain you've suffered is great enough that you feel the need to take revenge, how is that not a good justification to do so?

>If you want to resort to /pol/-speak, then I'd posit that devoting all your efforts towards a person other than yourself is miles more beta than forgiveness.
The alpha/beta dichotomy pushed by popular culture is fucking dumb and your interpretation of it is inaccurate to boot. Its also irrelevant since nobody besides you has mentioned it.
>>
>>50364141
"Justice" is but a name we give Vengeance to make ourselves feel less bloodthirsty.

>>50364164
There we go, Anon, focus on the positives. You still have family, so even though losing your parents is tragic, if she can explain herself you can move on with your life. And who knows? You might even gain more family in the process.
>>
>>50364118
>>50364192
Wait, nevermind the 'is irrelevant' bit - thought you were replying to one of my posts, not someone else's.
>>
>>50364192
>You can also benefit those of others hurt by the one you seek revenge upon
Fair enough, but they're still feelings.
>benefit their potential future victims
If you can prove that there are potential future victims, you are no longer doing this for revenge, but for the protection of others - a noble goal.
>If the pain you've suffered is great enough that you feel the need to take revenge, how is that not a good justification to do so?
If you believe your emotions can only be assuaged with the death of another, you need to reevaluate them. Feelings on one side, a life on the other - this is not an equal balance. You must learn to let your feelings go in another way.
>>
>>50364186
Everyone in the 10 champs have their own interest
Their ranks include
2 kings
A prince
Leader of the mages guild collective
Leader of the fighters guild collective
Kitsune
A next in line to the most powerful family on the plane
A few others
>>50364230
My characters seen enough war, which is why he holds dol dorn so high
Fighting for sport, making bonds in battle
Doesn't mean he's a pacifist
He will gladly lay down his life to protect those he cares about, and those less fortunate
Nobliss oblige
>>
>>50364230
Feelings may be inherently irrational, but they're the only reason we do anything. Someone who has only reason and no feelings would just sit around and wait for death, because any motivation would be based on irrational emotion.
>>
>>50364257
Yes, and? Presumably all of them are interested in their own survival.
>>
>>50363477
You clearly haven't read the rules properly, brosky.
Look it up, "Grappling" (PHB, p.195) and you'll see what I mean.
>>
>>50364204
Stop trying to place morals on his character as though they are the best option.

Being a "better person" and having "positive personal growth" in a roleplaying game isn't the optimal option. You are limiting his options by telling him to do nothing.

In-action is the worst thing you can do in a roleplaying game. If you took your stance on everything in a roleplaying game then the game would just be talking with npcs, solving puzzles, and running away.

Pacifism doesn't work in D&D. You can be merciful, but Pacifism has no place at the table.
>>
>>50364230
>Fair enough, but they're still feelings.
Yes, and?
>If you can prove that there are potential future victims, you are no longer doing this for revenge, but for the protection of others - a noble goal.
You say that as if it's impossible to do it both for others and for revenge.
>If you believe your emotions can only be assuaged with the death of another, you need to reevaluate them.
Why? If killing them can assuage your pain just as well as therapy or meditation or whatever could, and they're legitimately guilty, why not just kill them? It's just as valid a method of personal healing, and in the context of a high fantasy medieval setting such as the one OP is discussing it's not even a particularly uncommon or necessarily illegal course of action.
>Feelings on one side, a life on the other - this is not an equal balance.
To you, perhaps. But not to the victims who seek revenge.
>You must learn to let your feelings go in another way.
You've said nothing to back up this belief. You've stated your opinion without offering any substantial argument for why others should have to adhere to your method for coping with someone grievously wronging them.
>>
File: Vhailor.jpg (22KB, 300x498px) Image search: [Google]
Vhailor.jpg
22KB, 300x498px
>>50364204
>"Justice" is but a name we give Vengeance to make ourselves feel less bloodthirsty.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little berk? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Mercykillers, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Xaositects, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in JUSTICE warfare and I’m the top executioner in the entire prime material. You are nothing to me but just another deader. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Plane, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over The Post? Think again, sod. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the Planes and your soul is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, berk. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Mercykillers and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of Sigil, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn clueless. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, bubber.
>>
>>50364309
That's not even what that anon is arguing for. He's arguing for something even more ridiculous: "you should fuck her because she's hot." If this character who killed Anon's parents were a male, you wouldn't be hearing any cries for peace.
>>
>>50364332
Chief, we really oughta ditch this guy before he remembers something the last you did
>>
I've given it a bit of thought and come up with this for a GOOMystic.

>Starting at level 6
>Starting as a Mystic because there's no rules for multiclassing into one yet and it's probably the better choice anyway

>Awakened Mystic 3
>GOO Warlock 3

Mystic stuff-

>Conquering Mind
>Psionic Restoration to act as an off-healer
>Third Eye, useful with Darkness without using an Invocation for Devil's Sight

>Mind Meld and Thought Spear as they come with Awakened
>Light Step
>Blade Meld as there's no reason to take Beacon; as a bladelock gets rid of the mildly annoying fact it takes a full action to summon a weapon

Warlock stuff-
Hex
Detect Thoughts
Suggestion
Darkness

Agonizing Blast since it's pretty much mandatory
Repelling Blast seems like the obvious next choice

Pact of your choosing, though Tome is probably best.
Take War Caster as soon as you hit 7

I feel like this gives a decent bit of utility while still being a nasty EB turret like you'd expect of a Warlock, with the biggest boon being a semi-decent healer with 2 extra Skills and 1 Expertise.

Ultimately though a non-multiclassed GOOlock is pretty much better overall.
>>
>>50364354
forgot this
>>
>>50364287
They don't really care about each other
The only time they formally convene is 2 weeks every 4 years for champions tourney
I'm chaotic good if that helps
Im good friends with the prince
I honestly don't think I could get help from them
>>
>>50364380
They're going to just let her kill them?
>>
>>50363591
You can put Raise Dead on a Glyph of Warding(Spell Glyph) with a trigger of "when I die". RAW, there is no distance limit on how far away a trigger can be detected, and given it explicitly says a glyph within an object can be triggered by approaching within a certain distance, Line-of-sight and line-of-effect are not needed. You might still need to be within touch distance of the glyph, due to shaky wording of how glyph's "cast" a spell. In that case you would need help delivering your body to the glyph.
>>
>>50364309
On one hand, you say the alternative to emotion is death. On the other, you say the only way to repair certain emotions is death. To this I respond, if the goal of emotions is to prevent death, then you should absolutely seek a peaceful way to assuage them.

>>50364309
Forgiveness is not the same thing as pacifism. Sometimes, fighting and killing are justified, as in the case of self-defense or the defense of others. Revenge falls under neither of those circumstances.
Of course his character will do his own thing in the end. In case you didn't notice, I did agree that he should have assassins on hand.
Inaction is a perfectly valid roleplaying decision. You are the one seeking to place limitations on Anon.

>>50364324
>Yes, and?
If you still consider feeling to justify killing, I have no further argument.
>as if it's impossible to do it both for others and for revenge
Of course it's possible. It's just not the healthy thing to do. You need to ONLY do it for protection, because you should not enjoy killing.
>if they're legitimately guilty, why not just kill them?
Because that is the very definition of revenge. It will not help those who have died. Kill her if you must to protect others, but if she poses no danger then there is nothing to be gained.
Of course, she seems like a murderous psychopath, so Anon might kill her anyway and I will not complain.
>Not to the victims
The victims are justified in their anger, but it clouds their judgment. They are not in a fit state of mind to place value on the life of another.
>You've said nothing to back up this belief
I have repeatedly stated my reasoning. You might find it insufficient, and it is your right. If you wish to persuade me revenge is justified, however, you need to present better reasoning of your own.
>>
>>50357740
Read some of the novels. Keith Baker's Dreaming Dark Trilogy is pretty fun. So is Don Bassingthwaite Dragon Below trilogy.
>>
>>50364342
I mean, initially I was just arguing from the stance of Reductio Ad Waifu, but I truly believe killing her is not justified just because of something she did in the past.
This is, of course, merely my personal belief. I can present my case, and anon can roleplay however he desires. It is only when it comes to real life that I'd actually try to force someone's actions.

>>50364380
>Chaotic good
Chaotic good is not as forgiving as neutral good, but neither is it as vengeful as lawful good. It is adaptable. Consider all options, and decide what seems like the right decision independent of pressures and obligations.
>>
>>50364382
Like I said, the list is more of a formality
They don't actually work together that often
The kitsune is rank 8 to be fair
Almost everyone on the list is stronger than her
We've only see her kill her associates, like when she tried to bind a yuan ti god to the mortal plane, she murdered the yuan ti in the temple after that.
Someone came to her asking for her to get better at blacksmithing so the kitsune killed the woman and wore her skin, then, disguised as the woman, became one of the best Smith's on the continent
>>
>>50364391
>If you still consider feeling to justify killing, I have no further argument.
It's not just feeling though. The Kitsune has legitimately committed a horrible act by murdering his parents as well. 'Feelings' are their motivation, yes, but it's not the only factor here.
>Of course it's possible. It's just not the healthy thing to do. You need to ONLY do it for protection, because you should not enjoy killing.
Once again, all you've done is state your opinion. You've given no legitimate reason WHY enjoying revenge is bad, or how it's unhealthy to pursue it for the benefit of your own mental health.
>Because that is the very definition of revenge
And?
>It will not help those who have died.
And?
>Kill her if you must to protect others, but if she poses no danger then there is nothing to be gained.
Besides improving your own personal wellbeing. Also, this is a fucking ridiculous assertion that runs contrary to not only revenge but also every single legal institution and the concept of justice itself; which holds that a crime done is a crime that must be punished, just as much as a criminal is one who must be reformed it possible. Letting people off for murder because you have no evidence they'll do it again ia fucking ridiculous by the standards of the very godamn moral principles you're arguing in favour of.
>The victims are justified in their anger, but it clouds their judgment. They are not in a fit state of mind to place value on the life of another.
Once again: and? The argument here is that revenge is a valid way to deal with one's grief and anger when they're legitimate, NOT that it is an effective or moral basis from which to establish a society or punitive system.
>I have repeatedly stated my reasoning.
No, you haven't. Stating your opinion does not equal explaining your reasoning.
>>
>>50364391
You are trying too hard to bring you're personal code into D&D. You need to step back and try to be more objective rather than stating that the best way for him to act is to "be a better person" which is highly subjective based on culture.

I don't know his character, but maybe in his character's culture setting her free from her mortal coil is the best moral choice. Maybe his culture views the flesh of this world as a burden or a distraction and that if we are set free through a glorious death in battle that all the sins of the mortal plane are shed off and you can live a life, in the heavens, free from the things that make us evil

>These Goblins are only evil because of this world. I will grant them freedom from the sins of the mortal plane by releasing their spirits from their mortal bodies and ascending them to Valhalla through glorious combat. I can only help them be better by sending them to the gods.
>>
>>50364433
So all you have to do is convince a single one of them that she is a threat to his or her personal interests. It shouldn't be hard if she's as much of a psycho as you say.
>>
>>50364432
Remember that scene from The Lion King where the ape hit the kitty on the head with a stick after he argued that the past doesn't matter? Everything we perceive is the past. If the past doesn't matter, nothing matters.
>>
>>50364504
>committed a horrible act by murdering his parents as well.
She has. Will killing her bring them back? No. Will killing her give you any material gain? No.
In case I wasn't clear, I would argue the same for real-life criminals. Many penal systems, in particular outside of mainland Europe, are centered on what is essentially revenge. In doing so, they fail to protect society - it's demonstrated that more forgiving systems foster fewer repeat offenses. This is essentially the moral argument I'm making.
>every single legal institution and the concept of justice itself
Every legal institution and justice where you live, perhaps. There are countries with different views, as their approach seems to do a better job at protecting their populations - do you not think this is more important than your narrow view of eye-for-an-eye justice?

>>50364515
I am 100% trying to advice based on my personal code - I never claimed otherwise. I also repeatedly said anon doesn't have to go with my suggestion, and in fact should plan for a battle (in fact, that was in my first post). It is others who have suggested I'm only arguing for pacifism.

>>50364547
Of course the past matters. But Rafiki wasn't trying to convince Simba that killing Scar is the only option before him - in fact, the movie goes out of its way to show Simba as forgiving and as not being responsible for Scar's death.
Confronting your past does not mean vengeance. It means acknowledging its effect on you and doing what you must to address it.
>>
>>50364504
>>50364515
My character hails from the sword coast.
He spent all most all of his life post parental death (8 years old) in or traveling near neverwinter
Grew up with parents in Dragonlance to be fair .
>>50364517
I cant do it
>>
File: More displacers.jpg (278KB, 1280x905px) Image search: [Google]
More displacers.jpg
278KB, 1280x905px
Genuine question: if WotC are releasing new material so slowly because they're understaffed, why don't they farm out some of their more minor settings to third parties?
>>
>>50364588
Can you banish her to another dimension from which she can never escape? Sometimes death is too merciful for the wicked.
>>
>>50364597
Your picture is the exact reason why.
Does that mean I took the bait?
>>
>Looking into Warlock
>Bladelock seems utterly mediocre

It seems neat in theory but even if you took it you're better off just using EB like any other Warlock since you can stay safely far back while doing it and it's basically mandatory to take the Invocations for it.

Or is there some trick to it I'm not seeing?
>>
>>50364584
>being so fucking dense you miss me explicitly pointing out this conversation has nothing to do with the legal system and going on to condescend towards me as if I had argued for revenge to be a good basis for one
You're a fucking idiot lad
>>
>>50364597
I had assumed it was because they seemed to be trying to sync their released with the Neverwinter MMO.

That's no excuse though really. There's no reason they couldn't get freelancers to do the work for splats.
>>
>>50364584
>being illiterate
>>
I've put out 3 things on the DM's Guild so far. I've gotten a few bucks but I'm tryna look for the best places to advertise and stuff to make.

Seeing as shilling here seems like a disaster waiting to happen, what would you guys like to see? I've done mostly sub-races and an economics book for running certain kinds of businesses in more depth.

>all my stuff is Pay What You Want, inb4 "not paying4 homebrew"
>>
>>50364624
>>50364631
>every single legal institution and the concept of justice itself; which holds that a crime done is a crime that must be punished
Your words, not mine. I'd appreciate less ad-hominem attacks, too, if you wouldn't mind. I was enjoying this conversation until now.

If I did miss something, kindly point it out instead of resorting to name-calling. There have been walls of text and it's possible I accidentally skipped a line. Let's all be adults here.
>>
>>50364615
There isn't. Bladelock is just ass, you basically take it as a dip for EK because invocations and pacts are frontloaded.

Best Warlocks are Sorlocks.
>>
>>50364615
You're right; it's not good. Though for some reason people mistake it for a primary melee fighter rather than a primary caster who can swing a sword when cornered, which leads to people exaggerating just how bad it is. Funny, nobody mistakes an eldritch knight or arcane trickster for a primary caster even though they're basically the converse of the bladelock.
>>
>>50364684
The obvious difference being that EK and AT bring something to the table that alternative archetypes do not. The problem with the bladelock isn't that people think it's a melee class, it's that what little melee ability it has pales in comparison to either of the other -locks, who both have excellent benefits.
>>
>>50364655
>The argument here is that revenge is a valid way to deal with one's grief and anger when they're legitimate, NOT that it is an effective or moral basis from which to establish a society or punitive system.

Here m8, I explicitly laid out that I am in no way arguing that a legal system should be based upon revenge, but rather that your initial claim that OP's character forgiving someone who has gravely wronged then by murdering their loved ones is the only healthy way to deal with it is absurd.

Revenge can be perfectly healthy for oneself by providing emotional catharsis for trauma and grief. It will also, obviously, require time as well to truly mend your wounds - but so does forgiving someone.

And I'm sorry m8 but you didn't say "a justice system should be based chiefly on reforming criminals and preventing crime rather than collective societal revenge" or anything else remotely reasonable like that, you literally said:
>Kill her if you must to protect others, but if she poses no danger then there is nothing to be gained.
Which condones letting an apparently unrepentant murderer (the Kitsune) off scott free with no repurcussions at all just because she wouldn't do it again (which we've since learned she has and will) - which runs contrary to the fundamental principles of every legal system that I have ever heard of.
>>
>>50364629
> the Neverwinter MMO.
Wow, I forgot that was even a thing.
>>
File: Orc.jpg (91KB, 485x891px) Image search: [Google]
Orc.jpg
91KB, 485x891px
Is there any homebrew engineer/tinkerer classes that aren't spell casters or ridiculously sicfi?
>>
>>50364608
I mean, they'd need some editorial oversight to prevent things like that, but that's not expensive.

WotC isn't exactly opposed to monster waifus anyway, if you've read the Yuan-ti entry in Volo's
>>
Just started SKT with my group. Holy shit it feels so nice to have resources just laid out in front of you. I'm used to having to put everything together myself, which is both stressful and a decent amount of work.

The only thing that's annoying is that you have to put effort into foreshadowing a lot of stuff (fucking giant runes), but I think I have most of it noted, so that shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>50364766
No, because to compete with the other classes you'd have to be one of those. Also, it's one of those class ideas that have no reason to go adventuring. When your output is mass-produced items that can be used by anyone, you can just stay home.
>>
>>50364753
>revenge is a valid way to deal with one's grief and anger when they're legitimate
>Revenge can be perfectly healthy for oneself by providing emotional catharsis for trauma and grief
Fair enough. I disagree. I don't think killing anybody is justified because of personal healing, no matter how emotionally scarred you are. Even if it works (and I will acknowledge it might), my point of view says it brings more harm than good (because a life is lost).

>condones letting an apparently unrepentant murderer (the Kitsune) off scott free with no repurcussions at all just because she wouldn't do it again (which we've since learned she has and will)
I see where you might have gotten that impression, but that was not what I said. I said that IF she was no threat to anybody, then yes, I'd advocate letting an unrepentant murderer go free. However, I also noted that in the likely event that this is not the case, it might be justified to kill her because it would prevent her future crimes. I never denied this; these words were put in my mouth to strawman my argument. If you recall, my first post (the one that started this entire argument) advocated for a "date" as an ideal way to reduce the Kitsune's power so that killing her would be easier in the event that it seems necessary.

>every legal system that I have ever heard of
Then you haven't done your reading. I hate to sound like a nordicfag, but the Nordic criminal system is, in fact, based around the ideal of reform and reintegration. Criminals, rather than being punished by rotting in a hellish institution that disregards their well-being and civil rights, are put into institutions that are meant to give them the tools they need so that they can be productive, non-criminal members of society. This particular style of system may not always work, but you can't argue that all legal systems are based on punishment (=revenge).
>>
>>50364778
The Yuan-TI entry made me giggle, because I had just finished playing Storm of Zehir. Sasani is best snakefu.

>>50364758
It was surprisingly solid in its mechanics and visual style. Shame it got very repetitive and grindy.
>>
>>50364753
A legal system will be focused on the needs and wants of the people as a whole (or at least the people who make the laws.) There's no reason to expect that it should perfectly coincide with the desires of an individual. The need for revenge is a personal one, so of course it will be frowned upon by an impersonal institution.

We're debating what an individual should do, not what should be written into law. They're completely different things, and the one really doesn't belong in a conversation about the other.
>>
>>50364597
It seems to me that part of the reason they're moving slowly is to spend more time playtesting and gathering feedback from the community. It's probably a more responsible approach than introducing a splatbook every three months, each with a new class with "Shadow" in the name.
>>
>>50364766
I don't really understand what the purpose of an entire engineer class is if you don't want steampunk gonzo. If you want a guy who knows how to build ordinary stuff just give him some relevant tool proficiencies.
>>
>>50364766
>>50364802
>>50364965
One of the reason it's not being made is because we all have trouble imagining the (sub)class in the first place, or what it should do.

For months now I've been reading people saying "we need artificiers!" and "we need engineers!" and been asking what is it they really want from these classes, so that we can start working on homebrews that may inspire something.

I'm never getting any real answers. Most of the time it's something to do with crafting magical items, which is something that 1) is problematic and may need to be reconsidered to 5E standards 2) is not enough to make a theme out of a character.
>>
File: Lathander_p39-1-.jpg (93KB, 400x638px) Image search: [Google]
Lathander_p39-1-.jpg
93KB, 400x638px
I'm building a NG cleric of Lathander and I'm taking the Acolyte background but I don't want to take the languages that come with it. What tool proficiencies should I get instead? I was thinking about carpenter's tools but I'm not sure what use they'd be. Just getting something useful like the thieves tools or the forgery kit doesn't seem to fit the character at all.
>>
Why do people want so many splatbooks?

I know they were practically a monthly thing in previous editions. But given how easy it is to pirate things, plus the amount of homebrew content out there (a lot of it good, especially in DMG), plus given how much of a burn out risk it is, it seems kind of pointless. And they've released a lot of character options for free in Unearthed Arcana.

I think they've done a good job of making their large adventure releases useful as campaign settings books. And i think Volo's Guide is an interesting take on the usual Monster Manual parade.
>>
>>50365292
>And they've released a lot of character options for free in Unearthed Arcana.

A lot of people A) play in the AL where UA is illegal and B) UA is for public playtesting so it isn't always balanced and has a couple of really overpowered choices. Sourcebooks make everything nice and official.
>>
>>50364905
Now I want to see a monster book (maybe with a few character options) that's nothing but lame D&D in-jokes, with monsters such as the "Goblin Nounverber" and the "Orc, but with more hitdice".
>>
What's the best setting for a monster campaign -- all the PC's are monstrous races.
>>
>>50365429
Planescape. Ravenloft.
>>
File: munchkin.jpg (173KB, 600x940px) Image search: [Google]
munchkin.jpg
173KB, 600x940px
>>50365367
Let me know if it's everything you dreamed of.
>>
>>50365193
Take carpenter, make small figurines of Lathander and toys for children.
>>
>>50365448

>Planescape
>best at anything
>>
>>50365553
New thread >>50365553
>>50365553
>>
>>50358396
I may be too late to be of any help, but-
If you get a chance, have the dm look over your character sheet beforehand, make sure you've got your AC correct and your stats and all that if you haven't already.
When it comes to combat, knowing what you're gonna be rolling helps it go quickly. A d20, plus your proficiency bonus (each class has a table at the start that tells you your proficiency bonus per level) plus the modifier from the relevant stat (strength or dexterity) is how well you hit with a weapon attack. If it hits, roll the damage die your weapon has plus strength/dex. Spells have DCs or attack rolls depending in the spell, having the spells on note cards helps.

Other than that, have fun. This is all assuming you haven't played any RPG before.
>>
>>50363148
Woudln't Wall of Fire leave a circle in the middle of saftey?
>>
when you have an effect like on aboleth that says it can only be removed by a disease removing spell of 6th level or higher, or a creature that cant be affected by spells below spell level 5 or what have you...

do spells cast in a higher slot count?

if i prepared a lower level disease removing spell in a 6th+ level slot, does it cure aboleth disease?
>>
>>50366328
Yes. A spell counts as the level of slot at which it is cast.
>>
>>50366346
do all monsters have a 5% crit chance per attack unless otherwise noted?
>>
>>50365503
I think I'll go with woodcarver and painter for that but the idea is briliant!
>>
>>50366384
Yes. All natural 20s on attack rolls hit critically unless otherwise noted.
>>
>>50366407
and if they have an expanded crit range, that will be noted in their stat block? or do i need to look at their weapon and determine if it has a bigger crit range?

sorry if thats a dumb question. new to 5e, i'll be gming, and my other d&d experiences are 2e, 3.x, and 4e. primarily 3.x.
>>
>>50366435
Very few things have expanded crit ranges in 5e. Weapons don't.
If a creature does have an expanded crit range, it will be clearly noted in the statblock; no need to go digging through the PHB.
>>
>>50366457
thanks
>>
>>50366435
The only thing in 5e with an expanded crit range is the Champion subclass for Fighters.
>>
>>50366467
5e bonus action = pf swift action, yeah?

any special distinction i need to keep in mind?
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.