[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 382
Thread images: 54

File: Quasit.jpg (4MB, 2400x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Quasit.jpg
4MB, 2400x3000px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
No thread question? Well, here's one:

Are there any races you've changed the stats for in your setting? How and why?
>>
So about hags, what else can I read? MM, Volo's, Tome of Beasts, Curse of Strahd, what else?

Also I would like to know more about building covens.
>>
File: 20-Pyramid-L.jpg (569KB, 1443x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20-Pyramid-L.jpg
569KB, 1443x1920px
Thanks for new thread.

> aztec-styled dungeons
Have you guys run any? Was it good? What to expect, what to avoid?

I'm thinking of running a 1-shot using 5e rules about 4 adventurers taking a trip through the jungle to loot an ancient temple. I'd give each adventurer a different goal (wealth / saving the girl / bringing back hunting trophies / killing another adventurer) at the beginning of the scenario, and make clear ASAP that they need to work together to get to the treasure room.

I'm not sure yet on how to run the mechanical aspects of the trip, and what classes to give each character.

I'll take any suggestion!
>>
What's the character/concept you've wanted to play as for the longest time but just can't seem to squeeze it into a game?
>>
File: 5eg.jpg (34KB, 877x204px) Image search: [Google]
5eg.jpg
34KB, 877x204px
DMing a one shot dungeon crawl in a couple of weeks, if it goes well I want to make it a regular thing, and possibly setting them off on SKT. As a reward for getting to the end of the dungeon, solving a puzzle and beating the BBEG, I thought about giving them a Deck of Many Things to play with. Idea being that it might give them some stuff to keep them interested in these one-shot characters enough to play further. They'd be level 6. Good idea, bad idea?
>>
>>50321958
>Deck of Many Things
>Good idea, bad idea?

:-)
>>
>>50321908
Yes, it was a temple of a god with dual faces, a face of life and a face of death, the underground of the temple was the death's god part of it, the adventurers had to retrieve a artefact that could save the life of the prince which was located in the part of the life's face of this god.

Some of them tried to go to the death's part but once they did it they received a random curse from Out of the Abyss adventure.
>>
>>50321958
>. Idea being that it might give them some stuff to keep them interested in these one-shot characters enough to play further
or outright kill them. Give them a deck of illusions or a figurine of wondrous power instead.
>>
>>50321750
Yeah I'm, uh, not too sure of the balancing of this random generator. All the wandering monsters in it are well and above the CR of a party of 4 level 5, which is what I set it as.
>>
>>50321958
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5pz46kEhIM

Do it like this guy recommends. Definitely stress the danger of the deck for anyone not familiar with it.
>>
>>50321913
Minotaur Nature Cleric, peaceful scholarly type out to spread agrarian focused worship. When not adventuring goes door to door asking folk if they've heard the good Moos.
>>
>>50322011
so lower the level of the dungeon.

It's a fucking tool, it will help you work, not do the work for you.
>>
>>50322025
>>50321958
>stress the danger of the deck for anyone not familiar with it
>gimp the deck so it can't hurt you, or even rig it so you get one card and it's guaranteed to help you
one or the other, surely?
avoiding it wholesale seems like an easier solution to me, but if you're going to take colville's solution, at least be honest enough not to call it the deck of many things
>>
>>50321982
Holy shit, that's pretty fucking good. Did you come up with it yourself? What was the inspiration?
>>
>>50322011
i just ran it and didn't get any wandering monsters over CR 4. Nothing in the dungeon was over CR 4 either apart from a few lone CR 5 monsters which would get wailed on 1v4. You sure you plugged in the right party level/numbers?
>>
File: 1474437697161.png (116KB, 500x748px) Image search: [Google]
1474437697161.png
116KB, 500x748px
Alright /5eg/ here is a prompt,

Your next character has to be a princess, what do you make?
>>
>>50322067
I'm writing a setting and I was testing this setting, it was a good adventure, I'm preparing a new playtest in this setting right now.
>>
>>50322055
bruh what matters is the player experience. If they perceive it to be dangerous (but it's gimped) the exhilaration the player feels upon drawing is still the same, without being potentially game-ruining.

DMs are totally allowed to be deceitful.
>>
>>50322102
half orc barbarian.
>>
File: yes to please.png (53KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
yes to please.png
53KB, 512x512px
>>50321846
I constantly change races ability scores because I don't like how they can pidgeon-hole you into some classes, or on the other hand prevent you from playing some.

I try to keep it reasonable, and I know having 14 in your main ability score isn't the end of the world (I play a pretty fun 14 INT 16 STR dwarf wizard myself), but for some classes it's a pretty big deal and I don't like it that much.

So, nothing specific.

I'd also like to come up with a better Human race (heil) and give everyone 1 bonus feat @1st level. It's more difficult than I thought.
>>
>>50322055
>>50322025
>>50322115
Deck-anon here. It was watching that video that made me want to try it, back before I thought it might go past a single session. Now I'm inclined to fudge only one of the draws to give them deeds to an inn or something in Triboar as an SKT plot hook.
>>
>>50322102
Probably a Half-Elf Noble Bard focused on diplomacy and support. Although that's sort of plain.
>>
>>50322102
Xena

>>50322125
+2 to any
+1 to two others
+2 skills
Common +2 languages

there you go, the >versatile< race
>>
Is an archer War Cleric any good?
>>
File: 1477286193636.png (325KB, 1000x836px) Image search: [Google]
1477286193636.png
325KB, 1000x836px
>>50321958
yea man bretty gud.

you should also get them to draw as many cards as possible at once.
>>
File: OnlyGoodPrincessInMovies.jpg (283KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
OnlyGoodPrincessInMovies.jpg
283KB, 1920x1080px
>>50322102
Pic very much related
>>
>>50322102
Cross dressing Goliath that hit his head one too many times trying to hunt

intimidates people into calling him pretty
>>
>>50322186
> if races were spice human would be floor
It sounds boring as fuck but I know you're right.

Not a fan of bonus languages though, the idea of humans being able to speak more than 3 languages besides common (through backgrounds) just seems pretty weird to me.

What about

+2 to any
+1 to two others
+2 skills

Adaptability. Right after rolling an ability check, you may add your proficiency bonus instead of any other modifier to the roll. You may do so even if the roll would normally be reduced by other modifiers. You can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.
>>
>>50322102
Joan of Arc Style Lady Pally.

Conniving gel trying to usurp her sibling's claim to the throne by making fiendish pact.
>>
>>50322287
I was kinda copying half-elf
They get common, elvish and one other, plus darkvision and fey ancestry.
The other difference is that the +2 is fixed onto charisma.

I like this passive you proposed, it's flavourful but not so obnoxious.
>>
Hey anons, newer player. Its been awhile since I played since my group all moved away. How would recommend I jump back in to DnD? Best place to find groups and how to join random parties at shops or meetupsany suggestions would be nice.
>>
>>50322452
Get that group to sign up to Roll20?
>>
>>50322102

College of Glamour bard.
>>
For SKT, what kind of character should I play? The party has 2 wizards, a rogue, a barbarian, a hunter ranger, and a monk.
>>
>>50322498

>party has already got 7 people

You should DM
>>
>>50322452
I found my current through a d&d facebook group. There's always people looking for groups there.
You can just go to your friendly local game store and ask if there's any ongoing game you can join.
You can also try roll20.

>>50322498
If you really want to play that Goblin ranger, just go with it.
>>
>>50322511
There's already a DM. With me included there's 7 players. We've all played together before so it's not biggie.

>>50322517
>If you really want to play that Goblin ranger, just go with it.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards it but I just wanna see what other suggestions there are. I hear that the Kraken Society is in this, so the Triton idea is still bouncing around.
>>
>>50322498
Fighter or Cleric if you want to round the group out.
>>
>>50321908
Watch this, or just the beginning anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgHm3Ct0Zh0
It's not the most perfect run someone could make, but I think it worked out really well on having PCs with different motivations working together... until the end, at least. You might be albe to get a few ideas from this.
>>
>>50322549
Triton pally sent to investigate on the kingdom's behalf?
Seems nice
>>
>>50322588
>>50322550

Yeah, something divine definitely seems useful for this group. I like Clerics, but with two wizards we have enough spellcasting, so a paladin seems like it may be my best direction for this guy
>>
>>50322550 here, for some reason thought you already had a paladin because I'm illiterate. I'd definitely second paladin like >>50322631 said
>>
>>50321846
Only Dwarves and some Teiflings have darkvision in my setting.
>>
>>50322498
That barbarian had better be wolf barbarian. Whip them until they are.

Become a charisma-focused paladin.
>>
With Volo's, has anyone tried a Lizardfolk Monk? Do those overlapping bites and unarmored sweetness work like I hope they do, or does the RAW not allow it short of DM arbitration?

The idea of having a lizardman jump on someone expecting a flurry of blows only to get eaten alive by repeated bite attacks to the jugular fills me with joy.
>>
whens unearthed arcana
>>
>>50322684
It's Rule As Written, since Bite "can [be] use[d] to make unarmed strikes". So I'd allow it, it's not that big of a deal between d4 bludgeonning and d6 piercing.

You should even allow Dexterity to apply to the damage roll, considering the wording of Monk's Martial Arts:

"You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes".
>>
>>50322680
Wolf definitely seems like a good idea, for the first totem at least.

Yeah, a Triton Oath of the Crown Paladin seems like a good choice.
>>
>>50322474
My favorite UA in a long while.
>>
File: Clay.jpg (110KB, 648x745px) Image search: [Google]
Clay.jpg
110KB, 648x745px
>>50322666
How do you compensate for the other classes?
Doesn't it make Dwarf the best race in the game?

> implying it's not already the case
>>
>>50322575
I will tonight, thanks
>>
>>50322750
Tomorrow. Likely going to be an update on the psionic Mystic.
>>
>>50322684
You can use Bite as a monk weapon, so dex-bite away friendo

For unarmored defense, it's 13+DEX or 10+DEX+WIS, not both nor an inbetween

>>50322750
Tomorrow and every subsequent Monday for a couple weeks
>>
File: DDStarterSet-small.png (454KB, 512x674px) Image search: [Google]
DDStarterSet-small.png
454KB, 512x674px
Is pic related worth getting?
>>
>>50322823
>>50322807
sometimes I forget it isnt monday everywhere yet
probably because last weeks was early
thank
>>
>>50322807
I think it'll be Cleric next, they said they were going to release a UA for every class and so far it's been in alphabetical order.
>>
>>50322852
Yep. It's great for new and old D&D players.
>>
>>50322861
Last week's Monday was early?
What does if feel like to live in a temporal rift?
>>
>>50322883
The Bard UA got leaked on Sunday last week.
>>
>>50322779
Ancients sounds the best for the aura, though.

If you have a massive team, an aura that covers everybody is pretty powerful.
>>
>>50322883
Its Monday where I am and because last weeks was early it came out when it was Monday here, rather than Tuesday
>>
>>50322852
I use the d20 that came with it to roll for monster attacks.
I swear they must be faulty or something, players are falling left and right to constant criticals. The players even asked me to use other dice. I refused
>>
>>50321846
I stat Orcs as Half-Orcs but with Aggressive, Powerful Build, and -2 Int.
>>
>>50322900
actually it was Saturday night
>>
Are Dexterity-based paladins worth it? I rolled an 18, and a Triton only gets +1 to strength, so I figured it might be neat to try a medium armored paladin with a sword and shield.
>>
>>50322867
>>50322941
Allright, thanks!
>>
>>50321846
Dwarves in my setting turn to stone when they die. Kinda torn between giving them vulnerability or resistance to petrification effects.
>>
>>50321846
I use the DMG Aasimar and the Tiefling but I give them a single minor trait from their parent race since I think they're kinda weak otherwise. Merfolk born get a swim speed, Human born get a +1 to a physical stat of their choice. In my setting, Aasimar and Tieflings are due to pacts or blessings, rather than fucking. If a couple serves their deity well, then you will have a pleasant pregnancy with a birth that's nearly painless and give birth to an Aasimar. When a devil asks for your firstborn, often what they mean is that they'll be born a Tiefling, along with a troubled pregnancy and a higher chance for the mother to die in childbirth. It's also what a fiend pact warlock would be tasked with doing to curry favor, go out and perform tasks for people who can't pay for them and make their next child a Tiefling in return.
>>
What is tg's opinion on the shadow sorcerer from UA?
>>
>>50322996
15 strength 20 dexterity is better than 20 strength 15 dexterity IF you want to go sword and board.
They both have heavy armour, but dexterity has better initiative, saves, stealth, access to light armour, etc.

Dexterity paladins are perfectly fine if you go sword and board. Probably focus on upping charisma.

However, at level 11, PAM paladins are very damagey.

You also need 13 strength to mulitclass.
>>
>>50322852
nah the rulebook is a summary of the phb and the lost mines of phandelver is just 5/10.
>>
First time playing 5e, I rolled up a Human Cleric with the Light Domain. Any recommendations for cantrips, spells, anything else?
>>
>>50322666
What determines if a tiefling has darkvision or not?

>>50322970
Interesting. I stat orcs as half-orcs, because half-orcs don't exist in my setting and half-orc stats work better for a PC.
>>
>>50322186
No! That's still objectively worse than Half-Elfs, because they get all of that and more. I'd say give humans +2/+2/+1/+1 to stats, +1 or 2 skills. 3 languages is fine, whatever.
>>
>>50322125
I like how it encourages certain races to do certain things.

It keeps special snowflake syndrome at bay, while still allowing those who've thought things out to do unusual race/class match-ups and also practically murdering idiots who can't even work out how to screw a lightbulb.
>>
>>50321913
Coward bard.

They know all the stories and legends, so they know that the adventurers family dies, their town gets burnt down, they get tortured etc before they win. It's much better to sing the songs than star in them.
However, fate can't be denied, and they keep having problems befall them, ala Ciaphas Cain or Rincewind.

My current character is already reluctant, though, so I wouldn't wanna head straight into another coward, as fun as they are.
>>
I thoiught I remembered some cleric option with unarmored defense in some book... you know, so they could wear robes. But SCAG arcana cleric doesn't have it, was I completely wrong or am I thinking of something else?
>>
>>50322125
>I constantly change races ability scores because I don't like how they can pidgeon-hole you into some classes, or on the other hand prevent you from playing some.

>(I play a pretty fun 14 INT 16 STR dwarf wizard myself

What.

But Dwarfs aren't limited in INT? You could effortlessly have a 16 INT Dwarf
>>
>>50322102
an actual princess, mostly useless (but can talk and read really good) who was raised in extreme luxury and who's only purpose in life was to be married to someone important to form strong alliances for her kingdom. She secretly wishes to be a bard, but that's not allowed on a princes's life
>>
>>50323350
First of all, go with what you find fun, because most things are viable.

That being said, Sacred Flame is an easy cantrip pick since it's the only damaging cleric cantrip (which is a bit dumb in my opinion, I would at least give Light Clerics firebolt or produce flame but whatever).

Spare the Dying is another easy pick I believe, for obvious reasons.

The others are fine. Guidance is considered superior I believe, but it's a bit annoying to use (and your DM might actually hate you for picking it, go figure).

Spell-wise... You only have to pick the spells you prepare (WIS modifier + Cleric level). I think you can reasonably pick them from the list.

One piece of advice though: read thoroughly your Spellcasting class feature. Also, read the 11th chapter in the Player's Handbook once or twice.
Also, since you can prepare any spell from your list, it means that you better know what every single one of them do. Not by heart necessarily, but at least it'll tell you what you can do.

It's a bit of work but it's worth it, and your DM will love you for this. Players not knowing their spells is one pet peeve of mine (although I'm obviously forgiving to 1st time players).

Have fun!
>>
>Triton Paladin
>Net/trident combo would thematically be awesome
>Both weapons suck

Is there a way to make this work?
>>
>>50323639
I'm talking point buy and before 4th level. Since you can't create the character with 16 in his spellcasting ability, he'll always be a little bit "behind".
>>
>>50322102
Bard, using oratory instead of an instrument. Dump physical stats in favor of mental stats. Noble background, duh. Put skills in interaction skills. Focus exclusively on support in combat.
Speak with the GM before the first session, arrange for her kingdom to have been destroyed by something somehow relating to the BBEG. There's her motivation. Play her as somebody who has no power of her own and knows it. Delegate like mad, plan like mad.
Eventually take over the BBEG's operation and twist it to her own purposes.
>>
>>50323658
Play the character and have fun. Don't worry about optimized weapon damage. Wait for your dm to drop some magic tridents and nets on you.
>>
>>50323404
Half-Elf are locked into charisma, tho
You miss specificity in favor of >versatility<
Still, you could add something to it, but +2 +2 +1 +1 seems too strong
>>
So... why would anyone ever play anything other than Vuman if your DM allows it?
>>
>>50323812
because not everyone wants to optimize right out the gate
>>
>>50322102
Black or Red Dragon Sorc. High-ish nobility from the remnants of the old Evil Empire.

Good-aligned and very friendly, but can't help talking like a supervillain.

Unfortunate tendency to stand in places where she can be back- or under-lit by green fire.
>>
Is it just me or can knowledge cleric out-skillmonkey any skill monkey - at least a couple crucial times a day?
>>
Arcana cleric doesn't get unarmored defense???
>>
>>50323866
Are you talking about Channel Divinity: Knowledge of the Ages?
That gives you breadth, but skillmonkey classes get expertise so they'll be ahead of you by a full proficiency modifier.
>>
File: 1422144559880.jpg (216KB, 1089x806px) Image search: [Google]
1422144559880.jpg
216KB, 1089x806px
Asking again for the Euro-evening crowd: is there any third-party stuff you'd recommend?

DM's guild or otherwise (did anything good ever come out of that?)
>>
>>50322125
>dwarf wizard
>16 strength
>not going hill dwarf and dumping strength plus taking a level of cleric or fighter

Oh shit nigger what are you doing
>>
>>50320577
>Merely the fact that they[Mystics] are the only class with a distinct spellcasting system when there doesn't seem to be any reason for it.
Warlocks?
>>
>>50323625
I think its an optional rule in the DMG
>>
>>50322807
Last update I heard was that due to the restructuring of these UA's, Mystic might get pushed back a little, but should still have its next UA before the end of the year.

I think demand is high so it might still happen this month.
>>
So this happened..
>Storm king campaign
>all new players, level 6
>Bard becomes known as a giantsbane, last hitting two giants, literally no other damage
>go on patrol in area, following giants tracks
>encounter crumbling tower that is sealed off
>he casts fly to float and look into the tower
>gets ambushed by bloodhawks after talking to a starving giant inside of it
>flies out of the tower, gets followed and attacked
>loses concentration
>falls 70 feet
>dies instantly
>>
File: Rotating_Madness_by_Djekspek.jpg (214KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
Rotating_Madness_by_Djekspek.jpg
214KB, 900x636px
>>50323935
you are describing 2 completely different characters

and if i wanted to bait you back i'd say
> multiclass
>>
>>50322102
Barbarian with Retainers, Inspiring Leader, and High Charisma. Barbarian Princess is go
>>
>>50324199
One level of cleric gives the wizard heavy armour (certain domains), full spell slot progression, scalable cure wounds /healing word, a source of radiant damage and the "best cantrip in the game". (not counting EB with Invocations)
Not a bad tradeoff for getting fireball one level later.
>>
>>50323658
I think you'd need the dual wielding feat to use those two at the same time.

alternatively flavor a polearm as a Trident and just use that.

>>50323812
only martials really have a reliance on feats

other races offer awesome racials that add something to the character instead of just optimizing for combat
>>
File: doth soyth.png (14KB, 581x309px) Image search: [Google]
doth soyth.png
14KB, 581x309px
>this stuff exists on the wiki

End my life
>>
>>50324453
Ah yes, the 'slashing' property. Very important.
>>
>>50324453
I bet they'd let you use it with polearm master, too
>>
File: Untitled.png (40KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
40KB, 640x400px
What do you do if you're trying to make your own setting and everything but you can'tn draw in any way, digitally or normally. Its hard to describe a city layout for specific buildings, but my drawn maps look like shit. This is a layout for a village they will either be helping or attacking, with a cave. How do I improve this at all? The rectangles are animal pens.
>>
>>50323890
No, why did you think they would?
>>
>>50324518
Try something like colouring in squares on excel.
>>
File: 1477090523887.jpg (2MB, 2025x709px) Image search: [Google]
1477090523887.jpg
2MB, 2025x709px
>>50322102
Barenzia.
Charming rogue with friends in low places who has the wrong impression of what being a princess means.
>>
File: princess-1.jpg (663KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
princess-1.jpg
663KB, 1920x1080px
>>50322102
>>
>>50322102
Dwarf princess.

No explanation needed.

Yes, she does have one. Yes, people still mistake her for a guy.
>>
I can't find them anywhere so I wanted to ask here. How are the tritons in the new splatbook looking? I'm going to be getting the book, but I'm creating a character for a new campaign before then and want to be informed going in. Can they live on land?
>>
Gimme a neat magic item for a Beast Master Ranger
>>
>>50324199
Not related to your post, but your picture: got more of these sorts of things, one-page dungeons, that sort of thing?
>>
>>50324657
Yes, they can live on land. No, they don't suffer from the "moisten yourself at X intervals or die" penalty of 3rd edition and earlier. They get +1 to Str, Con and Cha, a bundle of spell-like abilities, permanent telepathic communication with sea creatures, cold resistance, water-breathing + air-breathing, and immunity to the drawbacks of deep water environments.
>>
File: 1454173300210.jpg (1MB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1454173300210.jpg
1MB, 3000x3000px
>>50321913
Air genasi storm domain cleric.
I am currently DMing, and don't have the time to join another campaign.
>>
>>50324686
go nuts http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/22/need-an-adventure-one-page-dungeon/
>>
>>50323772
Doesn't look that strong to me. Mountain Dwarves get +2/+2 on top of other cool shit. The way I see it, this way playing Human also gives you versatility, but in a way that is actually worth not having any other racial features. Playing MAD classes or combos becomes easier too, again, at the cost of being a plain human.

>>50324088
Never split the party.

>>50323625
>For example, you could decide that the clerics of a particular deity belong to an order that forbids the accumulation of material goods, other than magic items useful for their divine mission. Such clerics carry a staff, but they are forbidden from wearing armor or using weapons other than that staff. To reflect this, you could remove the armor and weapon proficiencies for clerics of this faith, making them proficient with the quarterstaff and nothing else. You could give them a benefit to make up for the loss of proficiencies- something like the monk's Unarmored Defense class feature, but presented as a divine blessing.

>>50323642
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdf9FhLLTEo
>>
>>50324804
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdf9FhLLTEo

Exactly
>>
>>50321913
Anything. I'm forever DM.
>>
>>50324559
also a big slut
>>
>>50324712
That's awesome, thanks. Those three stats make for a really flexible class choice too.
>>
File: Delinquent Daimyos.jpg (217KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Delinquent Daimyos.jpg
217KB, 1680x1050px
OK so i got roped into DM'ing by a hobby store owner that said he'd by me the DMG and MM for me if I DM'd

I haven't DM'd in over a decade since 3/3.5. I think I can get a setting and possibly a story going, but I could use something on PC that would allow me to create maps when the party goes into dungeons and such. I used to know of them years ago but forgot about all of them. Help me /tg/ you're my only hope.
>>
>>50325103
Are you just "DMing at the hobby store" or are you running Adventurers League? Because the latter has some caveats related to it (only run the associated mini-modules, rules for DMing/playing, etc.). Might want to talk to the store owner before putting in any work.
>>
>>50322102
Lizardwoman Fighter/Barbarian/Pugilist ex-pitfighter, ironically named Princess for her savagery in the ring.
>>
>>50325046
>>50324559
True. But not a dumb slut.
>>
>>50321913
Righteous and heroic half-elf knight-paladin who squired for his uncle and craves the opportunity to defend the defenseless.
>>
>>50322102
Is that Marco Diaz?
Because if so, honestly I might just make Marco.
>>
>>50325281
Yeah it is
>>
>>50325157
he doesn't care what I run, so it's basically DM'ing at the hobby store
>>
>>50324453
>Can be used not only with strength but speed.
+15 feet to damage lvl 1.
>>
>>50325304
Alright, kung fu t-girl princess it is, then.
>>
>>50321858
Volo's. They even got over that very topic.
>>
File: technique grogro.jpg (219KB, 600x792px) Image search: [Google]
technique grogro.jpg
219KB, 600x792px
>>50322684
>>
File: doomguy.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
doomguy.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Alright /5eg/, my group kinda fucked up last session in our Curse of Strahd game. Obviously stop reading if you want to avoid spoilers.

So one of our party decided it would be a good idea to attack one of the Night Hags in the Bonegrinder, we're a party of 5 level 3s so needless to say we were destroyed, the only one who managed to escape was my character, a Fighter 1/Arcana Cleric 2 of Mystra. He took mercy upon us and only knocked the rest of the party out, leaving it up to me to rescue them. He's also told us to prepare backup characters since next session we have a good chance of dying, and my character in particular is the most likely to sacrifice himself.

Which leads me to my point, I want to create a backup character based off of Doomguy from the new game. What's the best way to go about this? I'm currently thinking Fallen Aasimar Battlerager, since the spiked armor can help with the whole "rip and tear" theme. Anyone got ideas on how to do it better? Effectively everything is available, including UA.
>>
File: 2015-12-15_23-38-46.png (837KB, 699x683px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-15_23-38-46.png
837KB, 699x683px
>>50325103
Try pyromancers for hand crafted maps
donjon for randomly generated dungeons.
>>
>>50325705

Boy did you guys mess up. My CoS party fought the hags at level 6 and they still kicked our asses. We won in the end, but it cost my character his life. I got res'd, but still.
>>
Getting ready to have an entire group of new people, including someone who has never played DND being the DM, what can I do to make this not a disaster? I've been playing for like 6 years
>>
File: 1436410429452.jpg (190KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
1436410429452.jpg
190KB, 786x1017px
Quick- name a very obscure or unusual monster I can theme a dungeon around
>>
>>50321913
Dude who only fights with his cape. Hate monks so bad, though, I'm a fighter/rogue guy.
>>
>>50325891
Do you mean something with stats in 5E or any monster from anywhere?
>>
File: 2016-11-20_14-56-43.png (324KB, 339x800px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-20_14-56-43.png
324KB, 339x800px
>>50325891
backward men
>>
>>50325829
I tried really hard to not metagame but from DM experience I knew that a Night Hag Coven is like CR 21 and has up to 6th level spells, I was facepalming the whole time while our high charisma people refused to negotiate and attacked instead.
>>
File: 1451421841596.jpg (484KB, 1500x810px) Image search: [Google]
1451421841596.jpg
484KB, 1500x810px
Just got forced into the position of DM even though I haven't played DND in about a year, last thing I played was Pathfinder
Anything majorly new I should know? I've never DM'd before but i've played a lot
>>
>>50325705
Doom guy gives no fucks and is good at Melee and Ranged. He is a normal guy. A normal guy in a particular kind of medium breastplate.

So. You go variant human, start with a feat that gets you good crossbow stuff and carry different grades of crossbow.

Do soldier background. And be either a Battle Master, a Vengeance Paladin, or an Underdark Stalker UA variant ranger with died as favored enemy.

You just got here, you don't care about the minutia of plot, and you're here to kill monsters.

Also, take a gander at the Mind Flayer section of Volo's Guide to monsters. The equipment section, for their survival mantle. Which is just a helmed breastplate space suit.
>>
>>50325956
Rangers don't suck any more.
>>
>>50325891

Lutin
>>
>>50325960
Fiend not died. Autocorrect.
>>
>>50322684
A player in my strahd game is a lizardfolk sun soul monk. It that combination has a surprising amount of synergy and he's been doing well so far.
>>
>>50325835
Be party leader, help the DM in guiding the story. Make the party be more or less on rails, since he probably won't be good at improvising.

>>50324088
>fly
>no feather fall
he brought this upon himself

>>50323948
Wot4e too, using ki to cast
>>
>>50325956

Read the books again, some rules have the same names as in other editions, but work very differently.
>>
>>50325915
It can be either but my world is relatively vanilla so I guess 5E-statted would be preferred

>>50325924
Thanks. This sounds like one of those weird Japanese myths

>>50325987
My last campaign was mushroom themed so this might work for a different encounter
>>
>>50325997

>"I'll bite the Sun into you, vampire."
>>
>>50326015

Lutins aren't particularly tied to mushrooms, though.
>>
>>50326005
So just reading the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual and DM Guide will help me out? I've never DM'd before so i'm worried I won't be prepared or something
>>
>In many cases, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such.
So, under RAW, a similar weapon is treated as such. But how similar? Would you allow a monk using shuriken (reskinned darts) to use paper origami shuriken? If it were a rogue monk, would you let them use paper shuriken to sneak attack?
>>
>>50326015
Derro from Out of the Abyss
>>
>>50325891
Moss People, passive debuffs, creepy child tomb that houses their now insane murderer, breaking the statues causes a lame as shit ghost to spawn, a treasure chest containing childrens toys, once the murderer is killed the spirits of the children move on.
>>
>>50325891
Tome of Beasts has a bunch of new/unique monsters that might interest you.
>>
>>50326049
Is this some sort of bait?
>>
>>50326111
What? Not him, that's a perfectly legitimate question that speaks to personal taste.

Anyway, I've only ever substituted improvised stats with real weapon stats when a player was fighting with something that was basically a bo-staff. Maybe twice. I also never take player equipment, since I did it once and it led to a character dying, getting resurrected as a quest, and immediately going back to die again.
>>
I could've sworn some race gets +2 CHA and +1 DEX as a racial bonus, but I can't find which. Am I just remembering wrong?
>>
>>50326049
If i were the dm, and they were serious, and could at least come up with some half-assed justification for shuriken made out of paper to deal damage, i would count it as a ranged attack dealing 1 damage + stat and allow sneak attack.
>>
File: IMG_8641.jpg (22KB, 511x288px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8641.jpg
22KB, 511x288px
>>50326049
>your paper shuriken strikes the knight true, bringing him down to his knees ina pool of blood
>you swing your paper mace with might, crushing the Orc's head with the weight of the blow
>you swiftly slash with your paper sword, cutting the charging goblin in two
>>
>>50326214
Drow gets 2+ Dex, 1+ Cha
Half-Elf gets 2+ Cha, 2 1+s of your choice
>>
if a player of mine wanted to throw fucking paper shurikens i'd just make the enemy roll charisma to contain laughter

what in the fuck
>>
>>50324518
>http://www.yeoldemapmaker.com/
This sort of works, if it doesn't have the stuff you want to add then try and find an overhead shot of the object and draw it's outline then place it in the map using your paint program of choice.
>>
>>50326287
>make the enemy roll charisma to contain laughter
Nah, that's Wisdom and it's for when you throw tiny tarts. The feather's optional, but it helps.

>Tasha's Hideous Laughter
>>
File: IMG_8642.jpg (29KB, 391x376px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8642.jpg
29KB, 391x376px
>>50326287
Don't say fuck m8, it doesn't better your arguments
>>
>>50326244
>Naruto
>Not Read or Die
One job anon.
>>
>>50326244
> Paper katana, folded one billion times for maximum hardness
> Folded paper armor

I legit did a faction in my game based on this shitty joke. Origami golems included.
>>
>>50326337
I know. Here.
>>
File: the only way to backpack.jpg (87KB, 900x840px) Image search: [Google]
the only way to backpack.jpg
87KB, 900x840px
>watching Harmonquest with some friends
>they keep commenting that Jeff Davis / Boneweevil is pretty much just me
>asking pointless questions about enemy positioning to facilitate needlessly complex attack plans
>using a pickaxe and rope to stop an enemy minecart
>soaping up the side of a boat while sharkpeople climb it
>environmental / object interactions all day every day
>can't deny it
>>
>>50326337
>Read or Die
git gud
>>
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1pdYIcfHauwNDM2My1XeWFYSDA/view

Should I let one of my players use this in my campaign?
>>
>>50326530
More players like that plz. How best to encourage it, I mean there's only so many chandeliers and piles of dusty old books one can casually mention.
>>
>>50326595
Force them to play a plain ol' Fighter in 3X through 10 different campaigns until they lose their mind at only being able to say "I attack with my sword" and begin pouring over every item in the DMG and PHB while asking, "How could I possibly kill someone with a bag of saffron?"
>>
>>50326325
Tasha's asks for a wisdom saving throw because it's a spell taking influence over your mind.

Charisma suits resisting laughter, since you're trying to keep composure. For the same reason a thespian is able to keep a straight face in the middle of hilarious comedy using Charisma (Performance).

>>50326330
xD
>>
>>50326583
Probably fine. All it does is reduce the cost of Wot4E spells and give them a bigger selection.
>>
Is Cranium Rat the new druid meme for DMs that dont force roll?

Conjure animals, 8 beats of CR 1/4 or lower, conjure eight cranium rats, a cranium rat keeps its powers until half its pieces are alive, cranium rat has 2 hit points, and therefore at 36 hit points, aka 18 cranium rats, aka 9 rats (add wildshape) you can acess shit like a dominate monster spells for the price of a level 3 slot.

Not to mention that they are telepathic and so you can comunicate with them through wildshape
>>
>>50326663

They should be monstrosities or aberrations, because I don't know how someone is supposed to be able to summon or wildshape into a magic monster created by mind flayers.
>>
>>50326663

>aka 18 cranium rats, aka 9 rats (add wildshape)

...What?
>>
What would be the "best" class for someone wanting to play as a pyromaniac gnome who loves traditional explosives? Dynamite and the such.
>>
>>50326828
Rogue Thief so you can throw twice the amount of alchemist's fire each turn, dual-wielding flasks like Ivan the Mad.
>>
I'm joining a game next week and I have to play a Ranger3/Fighter3 wood elf as part of the on-going campaign.

Considering UAs are OK, can you guys think of any combination of subclasses that would make for an awesome character? Not looking for optimisation necessarily.
Beastmaster/Cavalier is kinda out of the equation because I don't trust myself roleplaying interactions with my ride. I wouldn't enjoy it, or be good at it.

Scout/DeepStalker seemed interesting.
>>
>>50326900
What I was thinking. Just needed some good ole confirmation from autism general. Thanks bud
>>
>>50326957
>autism general
we have feelings too you know
>>
>>50326998
Sure, but anon is also autistic, so he can't empathize with them.
>>
>>50327040
You're right, I can't. Pls no bully
>>
File: WereAllAutisticHere.jpg (233KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
WereAllAutisticHere.jpg
233KB, 1280x1024px
>>50327058
It's okay, anon. You're in good company.
Pic related
>>
So....

is it better as a barbar to max my str first?

I have 16 str, 15 con and 11 dex. I suppose the ac boost will be nice but i don't want to use a shield cuz i was thinkign of going Greataxe. Halforc so brutal criticals could get extremely sick
>>
>>50327168

Depends, I suppose. Typically I think maxing Strength would be best. What level are you? If you can grab an ASI at level 4 or 8 to round up your Con to 16 and Dex to 12, that'll be pretty beneficial too.
>>
>>50326817

I was trying to correct my math. A cranium rat swarm has 32 hit points, not 36. That means you can still summon a functional swarm with a level 3 spell slot, just as soon as one rat goes down, the whole swarm does.

On the upside, you can summon 3 cranium rat swarms with a level 7 slot and have them go around wreaking havok with Psionics
>>
>>50327182
Well i'm starting level 1. There are two tanks we have a moon druid and me the barbar who is going to go Bear... but i could possibly just go full on frenzied berserker.

I was just looking for suggestions it's going to be a 5e conversion of the 2e ruins of undermountain campaign. GM said exp is gonna run off 2e. So if we find 100 gold we get 100 xp. Also he gives roleplay xp bonuses if the group does good rp. So leveling is apparently going to be fast i guess.
>>
>>50327208

My pdf says 36 hit points, but, uh...I'm not really sure what you're trying to communicate, both that previous post and now this one. You're gonna try and make a swarm out of 8 rats? I'm not sure it works like that.
>>
>>50325891
Nothic.
>>
About to run a Coven campaign based in Dante's Inferno, the villain chain of command will be something like that:

1 - Leader
2 - A very powerful coven called "The Trinity"
3 - Each hag of "The Trinity" have 3 covens as subordinates the total will be 9, each one of these will represent a circle of hell
4 - Each one of the nine covens will have lesser covens at their disposal to fill the theme, for example, the seventh circle will have 3 covens representing the 3 kinds of violence.
I'm not sure of which is the motivation of this leader yet, but probably want to do something with the sins of the nine circles to ressurrect some very powerful entity. What do you guys think?
>>
File: pugilist-v0-82.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
pugilist-v0-82.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50321808
Has anyone use this Pugilist homebrew before? I like the idea of a non-mystical, Strength based fist fighter but don't want to approach the DM with bad homebrew
>>
>>50327402
There's a finalized version of it and an additional set of archetypes for it in the DM's Guild MEGA in the OP. I've allowed my players to use it, and of the 2 that I've had, they both contributed nicely to the flow of play without overshadowing anyone else.
>>
>>50321808
Trying to make a bronze/iron age/darksun-with-metal campaign and I've been wondering about what to cut out in the refluffing of gear.

The big ones I can't really think of a way to handle are full plate (cataphract armor would be full chain but only one heavy armor type seems kinda shit), halberd/glaive (but that can be taken as a war scythe anyway), and greatsword.

I'm also torn between keeping a rapier equivalent or just limiting finesse to short swords, with longsword covering for spatha-style swords.
>>
>>50327470
That's great news. I'll be sure to check it out. Thank you anon
>>
>>50327402
I have run it and it's imbalanced.

Moxie
> When an enemy creature deals damage to you that causes you to lose hit points equal to half your level or higher (not temporary hit points) you gain 1 moxie point, up to your maximum.

Brace up
> You can use a bonus action and spend 1 moxie point to brace for attacks. Roll your fisticuff’s die + your proficiency modifier + your Constitution modifier and gain that many temporary hit points.

The way moxie regens is just straight up retarded good, and if you have a monk in your party he's just going to foam at the mouth because for some reason he can't get his Ki points back. Also, "moxie" is a pretty stupid concept, especially when it can replace what years of meditation/training do.

The class also does not get any better after 3rd level.

> My fix:
Talk to your DM about getting a special Fighting Style that makes you deal d4s with your fists, with or without the ability to dual wield with them. Some DMs may want to take one fighter feature and trade it with Monk's Martial Arts and that'd be OK too. Go Battlemaster ASAP and never look back.

Good luck out there
>>
>>50321808
Would you folks consider it reasonable to allow a caster to cast Vampiric Touch once, despite the fact that it's technically a concentration spell, while still maintainging concentration on their Darkness spell, as long as they only use V-touch's immediate effect (damage and healing, once) without concentrating on it?
>>
>>50327567

No. Vampiric Touch requires concentration, even if the caster does not intend to concentrate on it further. You have to break Darkness to use it.
>>
>>50327578
That's a shame. Seems like a waste of a spell slot if the caster is just going to cast Vampiric Touch once and then immediately recast Darkness on their next turn.
>>
>>50327477
D&D is a ridiculously anachronistic jumble of weapons and armor from different eras, so I support any attempt to make it coherent. I'm going to make recommendations based on flavor and historical accuracy and completely disregard game mechanics.

Weapons
Although polearms are probably out of the question, I wouldn't remove greatswords so quickly. Equivalents like the falx and romphaia have existed since antiquity.
Warhammers, picks, and mauls should be out. They are late medieval weapons which do not represent anything you need. Light hammers can be used for someone who's grabbing a blacksmith's hammer in a pinch but shouldn't be commonly used as weapons.
Rapiers should probably be cut. They represent a class of fencing weapons associated with late medieval/renaissance Europe.
Flails should be cut because they likely never existed as weapons in the first place.

Armor
Studded leather should be cut because it's not a thing that exists.
Ring mail should be cut for the same reason.
Half plate and full plate should be cut because plate armor is a late medieval development.
If you want to get extra anal, make sure your players know that leather armor is actually scale armor with the scales being hardened leather plates.
And don't worry about only one armor choice - splint armor existed in Persia in the bronze age. You can include it.

Good luck!
>>
>>50327567
>>50327578
>>50327598
The question being "would I allow it", I'd say yes, I probably would - depending of the circumstances. If the player isn't the type to abuse this by believing I suddenly allow "concentration stacking" or anything. If it's one cool little thing the character would learn to do, I could see it. Especially if he's playing a class that could use the help (so, not a Wizard)

Really depends.
>>
File: image.jpg (187KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
187KB, 720x960px
>>50327477
Bronze Age had full plate, it was just outrageously expensive.
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 540x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 540x640px
>>50327713
Also, half plate.
>>
>>50327650
>Studded leather should be cut because it's not a thing that exists.
I was thinking of using its stats for a lamellar type armor fwiw, or probably just put Chain Shirt in Studded's position.
>>
>>50327713
Do you have evidence of this type of full covering that doesn't come from cosplay?

>>50327738
That isn't halfplate, it's a breastplate.
>>
>>50324619
A penis?
>>
>>50327745
Leather armor is already lamellar (or scale). It's also more protective and bulky and less flexible than most people who play D&D think. Best solution is probably to use studded leather stats for leather armor.
>>
File: image.jpg (258KB, 1100x729px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258KB, 1100x729px
>>50327748
Sure, I'll dig up some historical examples. There's also the Dendra panoply and other less Greek stuff of course.

I say the other kind is half plate because it wasn't worn with full leg coverings or a face covering helmet. Just shin protection and fore arm protection.
>>
>>50327745
>>50327769
Forgot to add: chain armor - even a shit - is pretty damn heavy, and all the weight rests on your shoulders. Chain shirt can comfortably stay in the medium armor category.
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 480x304px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 480x304px
>>50327745
Just use linothorax. That was a real and incredibly popular type of armor.

Also, it's not strictly a greatsword, but stuff like the falx and Rhomphaia reached pretty decent lengths by as early as 400 BC.
>>
>>50327777
What would you consider something like Lorica Plumata?

Historian's fuckup or not and would it be worth considering as separate from Scale, maybe as a Half-Plate replacement?
>>
>>50327798
I was actually thinking of putting longer falcatas and maybe the khopesh in the longsword category, but I guess great also works for extreme examples.
>>
>>50327775
Awesome, I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.
Also, gawd, I forgot about the Dendra panoply. Bronze age anon - do not let your players wear this hideous monstrosity.

>>50327801
A brief research suggests the Lorica Plumata is more similar to a chain or scale shirt. However, it's heavy and thick enough that with greaves it could probably pass for half-plate. I'd still use chain mail stats for it if it were up to me.
>>
Has 5e done away with consuming scrolls once they're in the spellbook?
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 525x990px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 525x990px
>>50327811
Falx and falcata are different beasts. The falx and Rhomphaia are both two handed quasi-pole arms, and I think would fit relatively well into the great sword catagory if it needs to exist.

>>50327832
Best I can find is more art or reproductions is Greek suits with upper arm and thigh protection on the non-shield side. That was relatively common, but only worn by the guy on the edges of the phalanx or the very rich. I don't see why someone couldn't get the other side to match, at least in a fantasy setting.
>>
File: image.jpg (162KB, 800x570px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162KB, 800x570px
>>50327832
Also, don't talk shit about the Dendra panoply. The weirdness is what gives the Bronze Age it's charm.
>>
File: image.jpg (167KB, 491x650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167KB, 491x650px
>>50327890
I'll post more random Bronze Age armor too.
>>
File: image.jpg (225KB, 800x579px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
225KB, 800x579px
>>50327910
>>
File: FashionCrime.jpg (49KB, 482x600px) Image search: [Google]
FashionCrime.jpg
49KB, 482x600px
>>50327876
If you're trying to model the era, then you should stay true to history. But I'll grant that at least some warriors covered themselves in a bit more bronze/iron than others, and it could probably pass for half-plate. I wouldn't say full plate, because full plate is a lot more complicated and well-designed to protect vulnerable areas.

>>50327890
That's just a slightly longer breastplate. The panoply looked more like pic related.

>>50327910
Please don't. They're cool but this isn't an armor thread. At least have some discussion with each pic.
>>
File: image.jpg (221KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
221KB, 800x587px
>>50327919
I realize your setting is probably Classical Bronze Age-Iron Age, not Pre-Collapse Bronze Age, but I live for this shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (369KB, 1800x1529px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
369KB, 1800x1529px
>>50327922
I'll stop. I'm just saying there are options if he wants to mechanically represent some things without straying too far from the actual period armor.

That said, I think Linothorax works for leather/studded leather armor really well.
>>
Any of you guys ever play with literal retards?
>>
>>50322102
>>
File: WarriorQueen.jpg (85KB, 525x253px) Image search: [Google]
WarriorQueen.jpg
85KB, 525x253px
>>50322102
Noble, either Hunter Ranger or VB with Inspiring Leader.
>>
>>50327349
That's a lot of people. It could be demoralizing for the players. I'd cut the lesser covens.

>>50326949
thoughts anyone?
>>
>>50327650
flails did exist, or at least it seems like they did, even looking back at medieval paintings, but not in the way we treat them. they were more like polearms with a shortened ball and chain on the end.

anyways, what weapons could be re-fluffed into D8 finess like the rapier?
>>
>>50328209
EK would be good - you'd get better slots for your ranger spells AND your fighter spells.
A fun ranger combination with that is Hunter, for some nifty combat maneuvers that should synergize well with the fighter's reliance on weapon combat.

>>50328236
Nothing in antiquity really resembles the rapier. Thin swords of the type represented by rapier stats were a fairly late invention, when piercing became more important than hacking.
>>
>>50328236
Spatha is one of the few I could think of but even then it was primarily slashing and would be about the size of a short sword afaik.
>>
>>50326949
I highly recommend Monster Hunter fighter archetype from the UA Gothic Heroes. It keys off Wisdom based skills, and can either round you out in combat or hyperfocus on a particular set of favored enemies.
>>
>>50328288
I thought the spatha was more in line with medieval arming swords, which I've always assumed is what the dnd longsword is supposed to be.
>>
>>50328328
I think the spatha is a bit too short for that. Maybe not by a lot, but it's not quite what I think of as a longsword.
>>
>>50328322
Holy shit how could I forgot about Monster Hunter. It's so good! Plus, we should be fighting fiends and undead. Definitely going to be the pick here.

I guess any ranger archetype is equally fine with it too. No particular synergy apart from Wisdom reliance.

Thanks a bunch!
>>
>>50328328
They were usually almost a foot shorter than what I think of with 5e's longsword (or rapier for that matter) but I might be completely off.
>>
>>50328343
>>50328376
I guess an arming sword might not make sense, as you can't really hold one with two hands like you're supposed to be able to hold a longsword in dnd.
Bastard/hand-and-a-half/longsword is such an ambiguous term. I'd like to imagine the ambiguity was intentional.
>>
anywhere i can find the PDF for the 4e Assassin class that was from Dragon Magazine so I can start working on a 5e conversion?
>>
>>50328838
Probably somewhere in /4eg/
>>
How do pocket dimensions and momentum interact?

>Climb into Bag of Holding and Sovereign Glue the end of a length of rope to the very bottom
>Fill bag with 400lb of stone, cinch closed
>Swing your new flail at any enemy
>As the rope inverts the bag, 400 pounds of rock appears flying directly at the enemy at the same speed as the bag was moments before
>enemy ded

Does this work?
>>
>>50328901

1d4 damage
>>
>>50328901

depends on your dm
>>
>>50328901
No; while inside the bag, the rocks have no momentum, so at the moment of exit, they still have no momentum.
>>
>>50328901

Fuck bags of holding and STEM majors.
>>
>>50328901
go back to using deflect missiles to make fake peasant railguns
>>
>>50328901
Here's your (you)
>>
>>50328991
:^)
>>
What's the best magic class in 5e and why is it the druid?
>>
File: Huge meme.jpg (358KB, 1274x1022px) Image search: [Google]
Huge meme.jpg
358KB, 1274x1022px
>>50328998
>>
>>50328901
>>50329028
Nothing but shitposts right now? Might as well leave and come back in a few hours.
>>
>>50329028
Ranger
>>
>>50329028
Cleric is objectively better
>>
>>50328901
There is no physical inside edge of a bag of holding. Once you fill the pocket dimension hammerspace, nothing else fits in.
So, when you dump sovereign glue in there, all you're going to do is be able to retrieve it when you turn it inside out, pop it, or go for it. Meaning that it's either getting dumped on whatever's around it or your hand.
>>
>>50328919
For 400 pounds of stone? Nigger you must be joking
>>
>>50328981

>deflect missiles railgun

Is this what I'm thinking about? Up to 25 monks can all be within 10 feet of a point, as an 11th level ranger with Volley you can make a separate attack against every single monk, and if you are throwing something shitty like darts then they will have a good chance of catching the missile and from there they can throw the darts. That's 1 action for 25 attacks, 50 attacks if you multiclass into fighter and action surge to volley a different group of 25 monks.

I wrote all of this out when I realized that 25 monks can just throw darts themselves. Still funny though.
>>
>>50329098
It's a meme answer based on the general rule that "improvised weapons deal 1d4 damage."

Your plan is dumb, but I'll agree that somehow hitting something with 1/5 of a ton of stone will deal significantly more damage than clubbing them with a lead pipe.
>>
File: flat800x800075f.jpg (35KB, 445x297px) Image search: [Google]
flat800x800075f.jpg
35KB, 445x297px
>>50329028
That'd be Bard though.
>>
So how do I make my party stop hating on this guy who's the MVP of the party (Best plans, deals most damage, saves them the most.) They constantly just try and get him killed or removed from the party in some way.

I'm thinking I'll make some magic shit happen in the mountains they're headed to where they're transported to some puzzle chamber where the party has to solve puzzles based on each person's top stat. I'll make more puzzles play to his top stat (dex) though.
>>
What is the most fun Cleric domain?
>>
>>50329199
Tempest and Light are interactive, flashy, and lend themselves to fun archetypes.
I wish Trickery were on par in power.
>>
>>50329199
Really depends on what you think is fun.
>>
>>50329197
No, that's literally the opposite of the right approach. If one character is consistently shining, you need to design challenges that cater to other characters' strengths. Making him even more outstanding won't earn him more love, just more spite.
>>
>>50329257
Now that you say that, it seems obvious. Thank you anon.
>>
What's the closest thing to a God of Travel or Roads in Forgotten Realms? Waukeen?
>>
>>50329461
Shaundakul, Waukeen works in a pinch as a god of trade. The other pantheons have their own.
>>
File: vial.jpg (34KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
vial.jpg
34KB, 300x300px
>>50326900
Finallywith Volo's I can make vials great again.
>>
I want to make a bard-ranger (3 levels in bard, rest in UA beast ranger). Would it be a bad idea to take my first level in bard, then do Ranger until I get my first ASI, then finish off my bard levels ?
>>
Google gets me a lot of dubious answers to this question.

So, I'd really like input from /tg/

Which are the weakest classes to you, and how would you go about fixing them?

In my efforts to homebrew, I'm trying to take the most sub-optimal choices the game gives to players, and making them more appealing.

Champion fighters seem really sad to me, for instance.
>>
>>50329579
I'd aim for ranger level 5 first (for extra attack). Is there a reason not to take bard 4 for the ASI?
>>
Starting up a character with the folllowing spread:

Human Monk 1 (thinking going long death)/ UA revised ranger 2 (thinking of hunter conclave)

Took the 14/14/14/12/12/12 array.

13 Str
15 Dex
15 Con
13 Int
15 Wis
13 Cha

Campaign starts at lvl 3 and is supposedly going to go the full 20 levels over the next year.

What multiclass shenanigans should i employ as i don't intend to take more than 14 monk levels.
Should i go Long death Monk 14/Ranger Hunter 4/Rogue or Wizard 2
>>
>>50329600
We have this question literally every day, and I'll give you the standard response.

Bladelock sucks. Fixable with armor proficiency and extra attack at level 5 without spending an invocation.

Wot4E Monk sucks. Fixable with the variant that someone posted in this thread or the last one - shouldn't be hard to find. Might even be in the OP.

Beastmaster Ranger sucks. Unfixable. Use UA version instead.

Champion Fighters, however, are limited but not weak. They are fine for people who don't want a lot of options, just to hit things very hard.
>>
>>50329601
Extra attack doesn't concern me too much; I'm in a big group so I don't have to worry about being great at combat all the time.

>Is there a reason not to take bard 4 for the ASI?
Well at first it was so I could get the level 7 feature for beast conclave ranger, but looking at it now I'd probably prefer the ASI. This character's for SKT, so I'm working for a level 10 build.
>>
>>50329600
>>50329631
Should have specified, medium armor proficiency for Bladelocks.

Also, that's it. Literally every other class/archetype is viable. Some are a bit stronger than others, but not by enough to warrant changes.
>>
Prease exprain why, even with 16 str, starting equipment alone for most classes puts you over double your encumbrance capacity.
>>
>>50329600
I don't think it's any particular class, but more just subclasses.

Rangers were pretty weak, but the UA revisions solve their problems.

4elements monks lack synergy, though outside of the overhauls that exist a simple fix is just giving them more Ki

Champion Fighters are actually pretty good, though I don't think they do quite enough damage, since that's supposed to be their 'thing.

Frenzy Barbarians are meh, but that's more due to it never being worth it to frenzy due to how bad Exhaustion is. It might as well say you can frenzy once per day.

Blade Pact Warlocks don't have much going for them, but that requires more work to fix. It can't just be a flat armor bonus either, or else people will just take it and still Eldritch blast.

Those are the main ones. Everything else seems solid enough.
>>
>>50329657
Because you shouldn't be running around at full speed in battle with your fully laden backpack on - drop it when the fighting starts!
>>
>>50328901
The inside surface of a bag of holding is completely frictionless, on account of being the edge of a universe. Sovereign glue doesn't stick.
>>
>>50329657
Either
1. The dumbest design flaw in 5e, or
2. You're expected to buy a mule.
Probably 1 desu.

>>50329674
Champion fighters have improved critical and action surge. They're fine.
Frenzy barbarians are decent even without frenzying, but you're right, 1/day is a good QoL improvement.
>>
>>50329657
Fighter gear adds to 129.5 lbs if you sword&board and take the handaxes and dungeoneer's pack. That's well under encumbrance capacity for a str10 character.
>>
>>50329657
Which classes? Cite your fucking sources.
>>
Paladin here, I'm gonna use a Glaive and get polearm master at levelu 4

What fighting style should I go for? Options really seem to be Defense and GWF.

I'm going to be a frontliner obvi along with a swashbuckler and a battlemaster.

16 AC until I can scrounge Splint or Plate seems scary (I'm playing SKT, no spoilers pls but I just wanna know, how soon can you find plate and splint?)

but if GWF works with the butt end of a glaive then it seems pretty gud
>>
>>50329657
Because even modern, overloaded soldiers aren't supposed to be fighting with their full backpack on.
>>
>>50329704
Forgot to add: That's one of the heaviest kits. And can be carried by a str 9 character.
>>
>>50329674
>>50329646
>>50329631
>>50329600
>Blade Pact Warlocks
Give them a version of shilleleigh that works for any weapon type but only their pact weapon.
Give them medium armor proficiency.
Replace the extra attack invocation with just extra attack at level 5.
Change the Lifedrinker invocation to deal the necrotic damage and get that much temporary HP.
Add an invocation that allows them to cast a cantrip after they use the attack action similar to eldritch knight.

fixed
>>
>>50329704
Encumbrance is 5xStr. To carry 129.5 lbs unencumbered, you need 26 Str.
>>
File: anonsretarded.png (1MB, 702x626px) Image search: [Google]
anonsretarded.png
1MB, 702x626px
>>50329733
>>
File: anonsretarded.png (817KB, 741x572px) Image search: [Google]
anonsretarded.png
817KB, 741x572px
>>50329733
>>50329746
Also, the 5x is a variant. as in not the norm. and it only drops your speed by 10
>>
>>50325026
This.
Fuck I have a bunch of character ideas that I refuse to use as NPCs because I want to play them.

But I haven't found another person to DM in 3 years. And that was a very brief game because they prefer being a PC.
>>
>>50329758
My bad, was looking at encumbrance instead of carrying capacity.
>>
>>50329697
Champion compared to battlemaster does less damage after factoring superiority die, and that's ignoring any other benefits from the maneuvers. While the Battlemaster will run out of dice and let the champion catch up, I think the Champion should just be doing more damage default. Not a drastic increase, just a few extra points each round to help them stay ahead.

The thing with Frenzy Barbarians is less balance and more them not being able to use their main feature. They're fine without it, but it's pretty lame that they get no benefit. I'd say to let them make one Rage a Frenzy once per day for the current benefit, but also letting them make Con mod bonus action attacks per day as well, similar to a War Cleric.
>>
>>50329765
what's stopping you from going on roll20 and finding a game
>>
>>50329797
Aside from a personal preference for playing in person, nothing.
>>
>>50329719
Yes, yes, yes, maybe, no. That's a gross misreading of the eldritch knight. They can make one attack after using their action to cast a cantrip. Attack action + cantrip is overpowered, especially with access to the strongest cantrip in the game.

>>50329795
I think once you factor in the improved critical (which adds between 10% and 67% damage depending on you target's AC), the additional fighting style, and half proficiency to initiative, you'll find that the champion does more damage than you expect.
>>
>>50329795
>Champion
Would something like use 2x your strength modifier for damage rolls instead of 1x (not attack rolls) help them? What level should they get such a benefit
>>
>>50329834
Never, because they're fine.
>>
>>50329830
The numbers I've seen factored in the crits, though it may get better with GWM being more likely to give bonus action attacks.

Additional Fighting style means nothing, as none of the Fighting styles currently stack in that way, unless you do something really weird.

It'd just be good to have something a bit extra to really cement Champion as the simple DPS king.
>>
>>50329834
>would something that doubles their reliable damage dealt help

uh yea

>>50329840
sure, they're fine. They are also boring as all fuck and make one of the most simple classes in the book even more simple
>>
>>50329830
notice how i said similar to eldritch knight, not "take the eldritch knight ability". Also:
>overpowered
They're by far the weakest archetype in the game besides beastmaster, which has already been fixed somewhat and is a matter of time when they publish it in a book. Let the bladelocks eldritch blast and attack the same turn, it might convince people to actually play one. It's not like i'm saying they should get this ability at level 1 or anything. It'd be late game
>>
>>50329834
Make it a lvl 12 feature and let it cost a bonus action.
Also let them do it with Dex too.
>>
>>50329857
Additional fighting style means you can have a bonus to damage and also AC, which means you are at least better armored than battlemasters. Not everything is DPS.

>>50329863
Has it occurred to you they are simple as a design choice, and are meant for new players or those looking for simplicity?

>>50329872
2 weapon attacks + 3 blasts at level 11 is really high DPS. If you also give them medium armor and self-healing, then you've overcorrected.
>>
>>50329834
Double strength mod would probably be too much. They don't need a huge boost, just a few points of damage extra a turn.
>>
>>50329889
>level 11 is late game to this guy
OK then buddo
>>
File: 1396420824622.jpg (116KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1396420824622.jpg
116KB, 600x800px
>>50329712

5e noob, d20 vet. Two handed seems really good for pallies in particular. RAW it looks like you get the two handed bonus on your smite dice, the ass end of a glaive, all that shit. I recommend a 1 level dip of fighter at 1st level, for CON proficiency and two fighting styles. Two Handed from Fighter and Defense from Paladin lets you have your cake and eat it too. The downside is you get polearm master at 5th instead of 4th, and it pushes back all the really sweet abilites (Aura of Protection at 7th, Extra Attack at 6th) I like great weapon master for Cleave and Power Attack all at once, but you may not have room.

If you're going straight paladin the rules are different.
>>
>>50329840
Anon, we have done the math. I can guarantee you that if you keep this argument up, there's a sperg who will ruin this thread by posting the google docs spreadsheet. Champion fighters are statistically proven to deal less damage on average than a battlemaster. They're "fine" in that yes, they are playable and high-tier optimisation isn't required for play, but having a subclass called "Champion" not be the best subclass for dealing damage feels like a design oversight.

On an unrelated note, this thread is pissing me off. Damage Per Round, not per second. This ain't vidya.
>>
>>50329889
Yes, not everything is DPS, but even if we count outside of DPS they still feel lackluster in terms of upsides.

Maybe the answer is to just give Champion an extra ASI in addition to the other fighter ones. Might not amount to much, but it may help new players who spread their ability scores too thin and didn't pump up their main stats enough.
>>
>>50322102
is this a boy?
>>
>>50329909
Level 11 is 6th-level spells, which are high-tier (1-2, 3-5, 6-9). So yeah, they're lategame.
But fine. At level 20, this warlock gets 2 weapon attacks + 4 blasts. Still too high. Happy?
>>
>>50326029
Read PHB, skim DMG, read first few pages of MM
>>
>>50329925
Maybe get a champion specific asi as well as increase str cap to 22? Just a slight buff for the maxers
>>
>>50329951
Strength cap to 22 might be nice, though I don't think it's as necessary. Even if you already min-maxed out a champion and have 20 strength and con, the extra increase could help you pick up more dex or shore up some weak saves, assuming no feats.

It also does help if a Champion is trying to flip between two fighting styles to get more feats to try and master both a bit better.
>>
>>50329912
I want a 3 level dip in fighter so bad but on SKT it's not worth it, campaign only goes to around 10. Although I guess if you're not making it to Paladin 11 you may as well MC after 7 or 8.

Still, delaying extra attack, auras and spells is probably not worth +1 ac and second wind

I just really want to play a pally in a high level campaign. 11 pally then 3 or 4 fighter, would be great
>>
>>50329932
Ye
>>
>>50329951
I say i'd change the lvl 7 ability to you gaining another half of your proficiency bonus to STR, DEX and CON saving throws and checks as well as gaining expertise in athletics.

At lvl 10 you may expend your bonus action to double your Dex or STR mod for damage rolls.

This would make champions less boring while maintaining their ''passive bonus'' style.
>>
>>50321808
Hello 5eg, new player here at least to caster classes. Going to be playing a warlock(GOO) in an upcoming campaign and because I'm joining up with a preestablished level 5 party I was informed that I could select a few magic items.

1 common, 1 uncommon and 1 rare. I'm wondering if anyone has some input on what would be some solid choices. I was eyeing rod of the pactkeeper as one of them.
>>
Say I'm a halfling and i have an aarakocra in my party, and I cast levitate on another party member, say a human fighter.
Can I ride the aarakocra while he pulls the human along?

it'd be maximum 20ft off the ground and probably just out of combat, how would you rule it?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (194KB, 946x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
194KB, 946x1072px
>>50330017
all that would do, besides upping the Champion's damage quite a good amount, is mean that no sane champion would ever use TWF or take anything that could use their bonus action (GWM Polearm master shield master, you know all those feats that Fighters take very often), or MC rogue, etc

Make the champion's second fighting style be able to expand on the first fighting style they took.

Anyone check out the middle earth campaign book in the mega? something like pick related for fighting styles.

keep in mind everything in the middle earth handbook is a good deal stronger than base PHB stuff
>>
>>50330018
Which pact boon do you have?

I suggest you base them arround spells you might want but can't get.

Remember the formula for magic items:
Common = 1st level spell
Uncommon = 3rd level spell
Rare = 6th level spell slot

Not to keep it balanced only the one with the 1st level spell may stay free and need no charges.
The Uncommon should already require charges but will be usable as normal.
The Rare one should be heavily restricted by some special condition.
>>
>>50330018
Level 5 with an uncommon and rare items

I don't even have an image for this.
>>
>>50330039
Aarakocra can't even carry one other person, much less two.

>>50330061
These vary from nearly useless (Defence) to overpowered (gwf).
>>
>>50329997
>campaign only goes to around 10

Disgusting. Paladin is kind of front loaded, so good choice there. That just seems super low to me, like it's only halfway finished. I was going to ask about the feat so early, now I know.

>>50330018
Grab that Rod, that is your jam. Ring of Spell Storing is great for Warlocks in particular. Otherwise Wand of Magic Detection unless it's in your book (you took the book, right?) or Wand of the War Mage.
>>
>>50330070
Going with a tome-lock Great old one warlock.
>>50330080
Hey mang, I don't make the rules, its what the DM said.
>>
>>50330061
It'd be tricky. The only Fighting styles that mesh well (outside of Defense with everything) is Protection and Dueling for a sword & board fighter.
>>
>>50330018
Wow that is a lot of magic items for a level 5.

Anyway rod of the pactkeeper is def a good choice. ring of spell storing would help alleviate the classic Warlock "i cast two spells so I need a short rest or I can't do anything but cast eblast all day"

>>50330080
a Rare at level 5 is absurd but I always give my players an uncommon each by level 5.
>>
>>50330018
Uncommon: Bag of Holding. If the party already has one, choose a Broom of Flying.

Rare: Wand of Fireballs, Wand of Paralysis, or a +2 Rod of the Pact Keeper. Or Daern's Instant Fortress or Cube of Force, if you want to have fun.
>>
>>50330083
they carry a lot more than 40lb in their backpack, the second person is just pulled, per the text in levitate, he doesn't weight anything.
>>
>>50330018
Potion of Healing, Rod of the Pactkeeper +1, Mantle of Spell Resistance.

Unless you're going with Pact of the blade, in which case Potion of Healing, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and a Flame Tongue Greatsword.
>>
>>50330102
>>50330088
>>50330080
>>50330070
Thanks for the input, I'll be sure to mention the level 5 with rare thing to him to see if he has a justification for it with his campaign.

I'm definitely going to pick at least one item with some sort of magic slot restoration/refresh ability so I don't have to lean on EB all day every day.
>>
>>50321808
Has anybody tried the game with Spell-Points yet?

How well does it work out?

>>50321980
Bad. Always
>>
>>50327750
A fucking beard your dumbshit.
[Angry dwarf sounds]
>>
>>50330088
I don't think any of the published adventures go past like 10.

I've been playing 5e for a year and haven't made in past level 6.

Anyway apparently SKT pretty much gets you to level 5 in as many sessions, so for a lot of the campaign I'll be in really good shape.

just want dat aura. Any input on what oath to play? Leaning vengeance because the spells seem the best and vow of emnity, while not as good as sacred weapon, only takes your BA. However the level 7 seems pretty bad compared to "resistance to all spell damage forever" and "can't be charmed forever", though maybe polearm master makes it worthwhile? will be getting way more opportunity attacks than a non polearm master pally

ancient's level 7 is so fucking good that I wanna take it just for that tho

>>50330125
>wasting your choice of a magic item with a potion of healing

nigga what is wrong with you
>>
>>50330131
>Has anybody tried the game with Spell-Points yet?
>How well does it work out?
The major differences it gives are:
- more versatility for casters by letting them cast more lower-level spells per day
- a bit less overall power by giving fewer casts of high-level (7-9) spells per day

I would say it's a definite boon to all non-warlock casters, but since it doesn't deal with warlocks by its RAW, it kind of shits on them.
>>
>>50330131
I use an altered variation of spell points that also incorporates martial features such as superiority dice , second wind, rages , Ki etc. using them.

Basically i make a Spell point die fear each class similar to the Hp die.
Specific features are reworded to use spell points instead.

Wizard, Druid and Sorcerrer get a d10 Spell point die

Cleric, Bard and Warlock get a d8 Spell point die

Monk, Paladin and Ranger get a d6 Spell point die.

Everyone else gets a d4 spell point die.
>>
>>50330131
I like spellpoints as a way to make Sorcerers a bit more versatile, but my group hasn't really used them aside from that.
>>
>>50330169
how does it work for warlocks, or, is that not at all? is it hard to figure out how it *should* work for warlocks?

contemplating an all-spellppints game.
>>
>>50330168
There are only 4 common magic items. Potion of Healing, Potion of Climbing, Spell Scroll (Cantrip), and Spell Scroll (1st level).

Contributing to the party's emergency healing reserve is better than a 1-off casting of any 1st level Warlock spell.
>>
>>50330124
Aarakocra don't specify how much they can carry, which is dumb as hell. However, they can't fly in medium armor, and it's reasonable to think they wouldn't be able to fly while encumbered (if birds could weigh more and still fly, their bones wouldn't need to be hollow).

Levitate does NOT specify anywhere that it makes the creature weightless, merely that it supports vertical movement. Horizontal movement still requires propulsion; if they were actually weightless, they could kick off a wall at five thousand miles per hour. So mass and inertia still come into play, meaning the aaracokra doesn't need to LIFT the creature, but it does need to DRAG it.

I admit there's a lot of gray area, but it certainly ends much lower than flying while dragging double your body weight.
>>
>>50330189
It doesn't really work for Warlocks, since Warlocks only ever have 2 slots of the highest level possible. It wouldn't work very well to let them split that up into weaker effects.
>>
>>50330189
Warlocks suffer from having few spell slots anyway, so I'd suggest just giving them (max spell slot point count) * (number of spell slots) spell points and let those refresh on a short rest. It removes the "warlocks always cast at the highest level" thing but makes them have good versatility. I'd be wary about multiclasses with it though, since short rest spell slots are a great resource.
>>
>>50330195
Well, to be fair, the Aarakocra could probably wrap a rope around the fighter, fly across, and then drag them over once they were firmly planted.
>>
File: 1479592048078.jpg (59KB, 491x812px) Image search: [Google]
1479592048078.jpg
59KB, 491x812px
Hey 5e. How would you go about making a Sahuagin player race? Seeing the Tritons added in Volo's made me want to try other, more monstruous aquatic based races.
>>
>>50330131
>>50330169
Next time I GM for a sorcerer I will let him use spell points if he wants.

imo seems really fitting for sorcs; more flexibility with your casts. Would probably justify them existing if they used a spell point system by default.

Would giving sorcs the spell point system + an "Origin" list of thematic spells ala cleric domains and pally oaths make them too good? I played a sorcerer to level 6 once and it blew dick, so I'm kinda triggered by how meh they are

what would be good lists for a WMS and a Draconic sorc? The idea is not to pick the best spells for them but instead the most thematic; IE a WMS gets Blink at level 5, a Draconic Sorc gets Locate Item/Object and the "summon a chest" spell thing
>>
>>50330182
and how do you assign the point costs for abilities that dont already have them?

>>50330199
>>50330204
hmm. thanks. will think on it.
>>
>>50330195
>However, they can't fly in medium armor, and it's reasonable to think they wouldn't be able to fly while encumbered
right, i had forgotten this. it does seem like an arbitrary restriction, given how there's nothing at all implying that they can't fly while being encumbered. and for all we know, an explorer's pack alone weights more than a halfling (or any medium armor for that matter), which is very silly.
>>
>>50330221
I'm sorry but Sorcerrers already get Con saves as well as Saving throw proficiency in their casting stat.

Expanding the spell list is not enough.
Some proficiencies would be neat or some at will abilities.

>>50330239
Recalculate the cost by comparing their vanilla cost to a spell of the same level and use that spells cost as a benchmark.

For example the cost of a ki feature that uses 1 ki point should be around half a lvl 1 spell.

Second wind, Rage , Wildshape etc. should be around the cost of a lvl 2 or 3 spell.
>>
>>50330168

If your objective is to whup ass and smite all the Evil, Vengeance looks like the way to do it. Hold Person is a motherfucker with a two handed build, and they're one of the best single target DPR in the game. Polearm Mastery goes really well with Relentless Avenger, you could be stuck with a sword. It's not as good as resistance or straight up Immunity, sure, but as you mention the spells are bonkers. Watch for concentration! Haste, Hold Person, and Hunter's Mark are all concentration spells. You'll get your two handed benefit on Hunter's Mark dice btw.

Oaths are kind of a defining thing for the class: Vengeance rips and tears, Ancients gives you magic resistance and a teleport at 5th, Devotion is a more classic paladin. I like Vengeance on two handed builds, but I like the Inquisitorial/Judge Dredd feel.
>>
>>50321808
What are some good feats for a bounty hunter character with very high Str and Dex?
>>
>>50330338
Skulker or Tavernbrawler if you aren't a monk already.
>>
>>50330338
uh well what class

what do you like to use?

For me bounty hunter screams either assasin rogue or a crossbow using battlemaster.
>>
>>50330347
>>50330351

Sorry, I forgot to mention classes. I'm a Fighter with a level in Rogue using the UA archetype for Scouts. Using a longbow at range and debating on a Halberd, Spear, or Longsword in melee with a possible free hand for grappling or two handing versatile weapons. Shield isn't an option due to Mariner fighting style. Was considering Polearm/Spear Master but I'm open to more fluff-appropriate feats
>>
Awhile ago I saw a big ol' roll table of Aasimar things, aesthetics and other attributes

Playing a Aasimar here soon I wanna use that chart, anyone got it
>>
>>50330382
Skulker is for you then.
What level are you at?
>>
>>50330382
Sharpshooter, for when your target is 500ft away on horseback and you need to take him down with one shot

There was a UA for feats awhile back, ask your GM about those. The spear one and the sword one were pretty kewl
>>
>>50330392
We're starting at 5. Being Fighter 4 Rogue 1 gets me a single ASI

>>50330402
I considered Spear Master so I wouldn't be as close range as the party's Bane but I'd be missing out on a nice little 1d6 from my Sneak Attack. The DM allowed me to replace the spear bracing part of Spear Master with giving spears finesse but I feel kind of weird about it. I'm already a homebrew race so I feel like I"m asking for too much. Was looking for something a bit more by the books as a backup option. Plus, do bounty hunters really use spears of all things?

For the record, I'm a Gnoll
with werewolf lycanthropy
The party thought it was funny so I just rolled with it. I'm designated double dog and I kinda like it now
>>
>>50330431
You chose quite the inneffective class combo.

As it is you should stick to using a rapier in melee instead of a spear so get blade mastery or defensive duelist.
>>
>>50330431
>Gnoll
>with werewolf lycanthropy

that's a bit much but if the party is coo with it then whatev

anyway i totally spaced the finesse requirement. Stick to ranged weapons IMO.

Take Crossbow Expert and use a fucking heavy crossbow in melee without any penalties like a badass, you'd still get your SA. Use a Rapier and Handcrossbow when not using the heavy crossbow and pretty much always get your SA while doing good damage and being really versatile, able to stab a guy then turn around and shoot another guy.

of course this is all assuming you're DEX based. If you're STR based and took rogue levels I really don't know what to say.

also if you've only got one rogue level I'd strongly suggest going 1-2 more once you get your fighter Extra attack. Couple scout with Swashbuckler for maximum fun
>>
>>50330431
>>50330483
didn't even read your post all the way

Honestly don't bother dipping one level for rogue. So, so not worth it compared to Extra Attack. You want that extra attack more than anything man.

Dip rogue after Fighter 5 or Fighter 6.

Oh and also if your game hasn't actually started consider swapping the Scout archetype for the Monster Hunter archetype. both fit the bounty hunter thing and it depends on what you want, but man is Monster Hunter fucking fun. More magicy and supernatural tho
>>
>>50330268
do you have a list of the stuff youve already calculated?
>>
>>50330513
Nope.
>>
>>50330480
Going Scout let me grab three proficiencies and Revised Ranger goodies along with some Superiority Die. I also considered going Revised Ranger 4/Rogue 1 but I didn't toy around with it just yet

>>50330483
Lycanthropy was the party's idea. I just wanted to be a sick ass Gnoll with an eyepatch. Afterwards, I also considered a Weretiger, struggling with the duality of his Catdog nature, but that's a bit on the silly side

>>50330483
The thing is that I rolled well for my Dex and werewolf lycanthropy sets my Strength to 15, then the DM slapped my racials on so I'm 16Str/18Dex. I hadn't planned on going any higher in Rogue but I might jump up two more levels in the far future for an archetype. Fighter 5 is the first priority for Extra Attack regardless

>>50330507
I'm not worried too much about delaying Extra Attack by one level. The party's Big Guy 4 U is an Oathbreaker so he'll shit damage easily and the Warlock is a minmaxer so he'll be fine. I'm more of the nonmagical skill monkey specializing in tracking and Dexfaggotry, although lycanthropy's set Str thing I mentioned earlier leaves Str weapons and grappling an option.

I completely forgot about Monster Hunter though. I'll go check it out real fast
>>
>>50330268
could you give an example for something, like smite, perhaps?

i assume you only do this for limited use stuff, yeah?

how do you make sure their new number of uses via mp is enough?
>>
>>50330549
Hyenas are actually closer to cats than dogs
>>
>>50330549
>revised ranger multiclasses
Should not be allowed until they release a version that's balanced for multiclass, which they will.

Vengeance paladin is probably more damagey than oathbreaker, I haven't checked. If Paladin is PAM, they'll do damage for sure, but otherwise they'll be only maybe half there.
>>
File: 7j2NIZm.gif (582KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
7j2NIZm.gif
582KB, 220x165px
>>50330594
Ya learn something every day. Interesting. Maybe a weretiger is more appropriate then

>>50330602
My DM's never had a problem with UA material unless an updated version comes out. SHe okayed the character so it's fine for now, but the DM always reserves the right to change shit around if it become a problem, which I'm totally fine with. I admit though, I can see it being an issue if left as is
>>
File: Beastmen_Leadership.png (1MB, 574x804px) Image search: [Google]
Beastmen_Leadership.png
1MB, 574x804px
instead of Orcs being my setting's roving bloodthirsty maruaders, I decided to ripoff Warhammer's Beastmen and put them in that role.

I was figuring on using the Orc statblock as a template and taking the the mongrel folks trait list from CoS to flavor them up a tad.

any suggestions?
>>
>>50321913
Ever since I saw a free Speak with Animals invocation in Warlock list, I've been thinking about a Disney Princess Warlock. No real combat ability but as much utility as possible, singing proficiency. Not sure whether the patron should be GOO (Great Mouse in the Sky) or a fey

But I'm a Forever DM
>>
>>50330594
True, but build and tactics-wise they're still much more similar to dogs than any cat
>>
>>50330621
It's mostly about the level 1.

Level 1 isn't clearly gamebreaking, but it's designed to frontload the ranger so the class can be tested faster. It features numerous class features such as barbarian's advantage on initiatives, an improved version of druid's ignoring difficult terrain, assassin rogue's advantage on attacks against things that haven't moved yet (combined with the fact you now have advantage on initiative), extra damage against, advantage on int and wis checks against and a language from humans, an extra skill, all proficiencies bar heavy armour...

So, a single level in dip in ranger is viable for almost anybody.

I'll admit though, if you've got 4 or so levels in ranger then it's probably allowable, but still a little worrying.
If you're not going to do ranger, I suppose you don't have to be concerned.

It does worry me how often people talk about multiclassing revised ranger around here though.
>>
I'm running a weeb game, and I had a stupid idea for an 'Advanced' Maneuver the players could learn:
>Sacred Water Art: Flowing Defense
>As a Reaction, you may spend one Maneuver Die of 1d10 or higher to enter a heightened state until the end of your next turn. While in this state, you are incapacitated and cannot affect or be affected by any effect or creature originating from the plane of existence you are currently on.
How broken/useless is this?
>>
>>50330698
I've been out of the general since right before that Ranger got released so I had no clue a lot of people were doing it. The crossover from Scout is the most I'm going into it though. I came back after hearing about the 4 UAs with archetypes this month had coming up. I'm excited for tomorrow
>>
How does Bard's Cutting Word deal with Nat20s?

>X monster has +4 Attack bonus. Crits.
>PC has 19 AC.
>Bard rolls a die and rolls 4.

Is it now a total 20 roll against the AC? So no double damage but it still hit.

Or does it hit whatever the Bard rolls but not Crit?

Or does the Bard decrease the damage on the Crit?
>>
>>50331237
Rolling 1 or 20 (Player's Handbook, Part 2 - Chapter 9 (Combat) page 194)
> Sometimes fate blesses or curses a combatant, causing the novice to hit and the veteran to miss.
> If the d20 roll for an attack is a 20, the attack hits regardless of any modifiers or the target’s AC. In addition, the attack is a critical hit, as explained later in this chapter.
>If the d20 roll for an attack is a 1, the attack misses regardless of any modifiers or the target’s AC

If the d20 roll for an attack is a 20, the attack hits regardless of any modifiers or the target’s AC.
Affecting the target's AC wont change anything to the outcome of this roll.
>>
For the guys discussing armor, how will you balance STR with the removal of plate and such?
>>
>>50330646
THICK
PIG
COCKS
>>
>>50331372
Only it doesn't affect the target's AC, it affects the attack roll.
>>
>>50331424
I'd still rule it as a crit.
Nat 20 is a nat 20, imo.
>>
Alright lads I wanna play a Light Cleric but there are some hurdles. For the sake of this, let's assume no multi-classing.

1. It's a "blasty" cleric, but my only offensive cantrip is sacred flame. I am completely useless when out of spells and CD, so lets try to make melee happen.

2. No heavy armor so 14 dex is needed for AC.

3. No martial weapons, so no worthwhile dex weapons. Can't go 16 STR and hold 14 dex and 16 Wis with Pointbuy, not without fucking con. That level of MAD is not worth it anyway.

4. Never get any form of extra melee damage.

So far I've thought on half elf, using variant for a Wizard cantrip. Pick either BB or GFB, GFB is more thematic but has slight int dependency.

Now I need rapier proficiency. Do I spend a feat on getting four weapons and +1 str or dex?

Anyone have suggestions for how to do this? Really wanna be a light cleric running in melee and GFBing niggas. Again lets assume no MCing otherwise I'd just start fighter.
>>
>>50331478
So it's a crit but the bard can decrease the damage as much as his bardic die.
>>
>>50331494
>sacred flame
>bad
Radiant is baller, although one non dex save option would be nice. Magic Initiate variant human druid, shalala plus a wis based cantrip. Goodberry or a random level 1 is just gravy.
>>
>>50331605

New thread
Thread posts: 382
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.