[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 360
Thread images: 43

File: aa.jpg (125KB, 599x999px) Image search: [Google]
aa.jpg
125KB, 599x999px
Previous Thread: >>50282252
>Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH
>News
http://theonyxpath.com/now-available-shattered-dreams-and-kinfolk-in-print/
>Mage 2e Errata
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxveHUKxwBU9UUZ4UjZJdEhIM2c/view?usp=sharing
>new mega
https://mega.nz/#F!rFIDxRRK!IEzkLlroRoPwmDqtxKRMsw
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
http://theonyxpath.com/when-in-doubt-time-to-play-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question
Have you ever used Asian folklore in your games? Or played Kindred of the east?
>>
>>50308449
>Kindred of the East
I know a lot of people who really get down with that, but I've always just dismissed it as sort of garbage Chinaboo swill.

Then again, I also think China is one of the least interesting places in the world.
>>
File: Grand Tour.png (144KB, 216x316px) Image search: [Google]
Grand Tour.png
144KB, 216x316px
>asian vampire
>>
Can a vampire feed in requiem 2E from willing blood transfusion?
>>
>>50308460
Play something else.
1e Vampires were little more than bullet resistant humans.
>>
>>50308552
No. Feeding requires the subject to suffer lethal damage and there's no rules for willingly taking damage - by RAW you must resist any attempt to harm you
>>
>>50308449
>Or played Kindred of the east?
one of the best owod games
>>
File: ReallyAnon.gif (855KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
ReallyAnon.gif
855KB, 500x281px
>>50308570
>This dense
>>
>>50308570
>by RAW you must resist any attempt to harm you
thats not true
it's just a matter of bloodloss
>>50308552
yes
but you're still losing blood which would still cuse lethal dam
>>
>>50308619
Cite where it says you can forgo resistance to take damage
>>
>>50308631
You made the claim. You back it up.
>>
>>50308642
>You back it up.

Nowhere does it say you can valuntarily forgo resistance in order to take damage. Every "combat section" discusses what you need to overcome to deal damage, ergo you MUST overcome it to deal damage
>>
>>50308665
Eh. Defence can EASILY be stripped, and the target has to be aware and able to defend themselves to apply it.
>>
>>50308686
So the only way to consent to letting a vamp drain you is to have no idea they're about to bite you?
>>
File: no resistance.png (61KB, 506x296px) Image search: [Google]
no resistance.png
61KB, 506x296px
>>50308665
you're confused if you think all damage is taken in combat
but i think you're just being a troll
>>
Do the physical effects of tilts apply to damage completely soaked through Resilience?

Example: A vampire with 3 stamina and 5 resilience takes a targeted shot in the leg for 5 damage. They activate resilience and take 0 damage, but is their leg still broken/blown off?

The rules for resilience talk about logical impairments from damage to eyes/limbs/etc, but it doesn't seem like you're supposed to actually receive any tilts from soaked damage anyway.
Related, but can Vampires only regenerate visual damage during the daysleep? Could a Vampire who lost their arm to damage they fully soak with resilience just spend a vitae to make a new one pop out with vitae healing?
>>
>>50308560
>1e Vampires were little more than bullet resistant humans.

Weren't they still stronger than 1e werewolves except for the nine seconds 1e werewolves could use Gauru?
>>
>>50308619
>but you're still losing blood which would still cuse lethal dam

Ok, i have this idea for lancea sactum priest with humanity 9/10 who takes the vow, that theban ritual in which he doesnt need blood to wake up but cant ingest blood either.

So when he runs out of blood as the year passes he gets a trasfusion from one of the nuns. Mostly because is umbecoming of a father to be "kissing" the neck of nuns
>>
>>50308449
>Have you ever used Asian folklore in your games?

Given my current Forsaken game is set in Hong Kong, that'd be a yes.
>>
>>50308449
Does being the Afro Samurai count as asian folklore?
>>
>>50308902
Yes. Because the werewolves was not even bulletproof.
>>
File: questionmarks.gif (239KB, 500x419px) Image search: [Google]
questionmarks.gif
239KB, 500x419px
Question: Can you use obfuscate4 The Familiar Stranger, to turn yourself into someone's worst nightmare?

Or to put it another way, is "That person's worse nightmare" an acceptable subjective subject?
>>
>>50308570
>>50308665
That's... not even remotely true, except that feeding from someone means they take damage. Not only are there no rules that would *prohibit* you from willingly taking damage, you can willingly consent to The Kiss.
Arguing that there's no rule that says you can willingly hurt yourself so you can't willingly hurt yourself ignores that the book assumes you're not a complete fucking idiot.

>>50308552
>>50308904
I don't think that a blood transfusion is valid. For one, I'm not sure a vampire can even have a blood transfusion, considering they're corpses, but more than that, you're getting around "can't ingest blood" by... ingesting blood.

>>50308895
Resilience says that if your leg is broken or your eyes plucked out, you'd still suffer the impairment. Resilience isn't technically *stopping* the damage so much as *ignoring* it.
>Could a Vampire who lost their arm to damage they fully soak with resilience just spend a vitae to make a new one pop out with vitae healing?
Up to the ST. I'd allow it.

>>50309071
Provided that nightmare is a person, yes. So you could turn into someone's abusive (and dead) alcoholic father. It has to be a thing that exists, though, and not some hypothetical.
>>
>>50309124
>Arguing that there's no rule that says you can willingly hurt yourself so you can't willingly hurt yourself ignores that the book assumes you're not a complete fucking idiot.

Look, if you want to run homebrew, that's your business
>>
>>50309071
>He needs to know that the person exists, and he can’t use his description to influence people’s reactions — “the woman Tom will fall in love with,” or “a man Jennifer finds trustworthy” both fail, as they rely on influencing the victim’s thoughts and emotions about the person being imitated.
I'd say no, though it should work if that person's worse nightmare is someone you know.
>>
>>50309071
I think "That person's worst nightmare" wouldn't work as a valid descriptor because it's basically just the fear equivalent of "a woman Tom will fall in love with" or "a man Jennifer finds trustworthy", which are the examples of what you can't do.

If you KNOW that persons worst nightmare, you could presumably turn yourself into that thing specifically.

i.e., you couldn't say "I transform into Billy's worst nightmare", but if you knew Billy was morbidly afraid of the aliens from Mars Attacks, you could say "I transform into the alien from Mars Attacks"
>>
>>50309124
>I don't think that a blood transfusion is valid
Nah it's totally a valid method. very science but if can totally work. You pump blood into the vamp body. The tricky part is setting the whole thing up. Which is Much harder than simply biting the victim. so if the player goes through the extra bullshit hoops, it should work
>>
What happens to severed Kindred limbs in VtR?

Can a Kindred continuously chop off his arm and regenerate it in order to amass a collection of arms?
>>
>>50309124
but more than that, you're getting around "can't ingest blood" by... ingesting blood.

I didnt meant it as a way to bypass the ritual. The ritual just forgoes the necesity to spend blood to wake up but you have to still pay half your blood to activate it and you gotta play for disciplines.

My idea was that when the chracter spend his remaining blood, he gets a blood donation, the ritual ends, he gets "recharged" and does the rtiual again.
>>
>>50309267
I think they ash at sun up, or exposure to sunlight? Seriously thats a lot of agg damage. sounds hilarious thou
>>
>>50308552
No, but I seem to recall that *ghouls* in requiem 2e can get their vitae fix through injection as well as ingestion.
>>
>>50309267
>amass a collection of arms?

To what end?
>>
File: carlos.jpg (19KB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
19KB, 500x367px
>>50309450
So that he can be well armed for his future endeavors.
>>
>>50309467
CARLOS YOU SPIC PIECE OF SHIT

IMMA DRAIN THE FUCK OUT OF YOU

CHEEKY CUNT
>>
>>50309450
It was just an example. You could also collect legs, fingers and other body parts.
>>
Nevermind, i found it. Vampire can feed from stored blood page 95 under "stored blood"
>>
>>50309536
still, to what end
>>
>>50309267
In all seriousness though, I don't think it would work. I'd figure a vampire's severed limb would undergo decay at the same rate that the entire lick would upon suffering Final Death; that is a neonate's arm would slowly start to rot away and putrify over the course of several days, whereas an elder's would start desiccating within a couple hours and probably crumble to dust before the night was out.
>>
>>50309579

Trick the toothfairy (OPP new splat) for resources 5
>>
>>50309629
>Trick the toothfairy

into taking fingernails you hide under your pillow?
>>
>>50309579
Vampires can do that anime thing where you hold the limb up to the wound and reattach it, right?

A short vampire could cut their legs off, ice it, regenerate, cut it off again an inch or two lower, and reattach the old one.

Vamplet no more.
>>
>>50309647

Domination of course, or just pull infinite teeth.
>>
>>50309658

The ordo Dracul would be proud.
>>
>>50309658
Won't the severed one rapidly rot away once they regen a new one, like a vampire's body?
>>
>>50309156
The absence of a rule isn't the rule of absence. There's also no rule for picking things up. I guess you can't do that in the game.
Nevermind that there is literally a rule specifically stating the thing you said doesn't exist as a rule.

>>50309194
>>50309207
I was thinking about that, but I think that "their worst nightmare" is valid because it's not "what they will find most frightening", but specifically the person that they're most afraid of. I'd also argue that "a man Jennifer finds trustworthy" only fails if you mean becoming some hypothetical man, as opposed to, for example, her pastor or brother or childhood best friend.

Because you *can* turn into vague categories of people, like "one of Billy's relatives". I also don't think you can turn into fictional or mythical things. At least, I wouldn't allow "an alien from Mars Attacks" or "an angelic being" without some sort of Devotion.

Note, though, that turning into someone's nightmare in a way that causes actual supernatural fear would be the purview of Nightmare. Obfuscate can turn you into a hated enemy or beloved lover, but it won't give you any sort of supernatural benefit, it'll just get you the normal reaction that person would get. Dazing someone as their lost Lenore would require Awe as well as Familiar Stranger, while being their abusive drunken father is solely Nightmare.

>>50309295
Then why not just... drink blood normally?

>>50309267
Same thing that happens to any dead body part.

>>50309658
>Vampires can do that anime thing where you hold the limb up to the wound and reattach it, right?
I'd allow it.
>A short vampire could cut their legs off, ice it, regenerate, cut it off again an inch or two lower, and reattach the old one.
I'm pretty sure that's what Night Doctor Surgery is for.
Plus, the Cleansing.
>>
>>50309732
>There's also no rule for picking things up

Strength stat description
>>
>>50309754
I meant "acquiring objects", not lifting heavy things.
>>
>>50309768
Every object is heavy, some are just less heavy than others
>>
File: IncrediblyTallDracula.jpg (84KB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IncrediblyTallDracula.jpg
84KB, 600x1000px
>>50309682
It's a little known fact, but Dracula was 8 feet tall, 5 of it legs.
>>
Do vampires who spend experience gaining strength after becoming a Vampire still become visibly more muscular?

Since vampires aren't physically capable of the actual bodily process that results in muscle gain, I assume that gaining dots in Strength after the Embrace would just be your muscles becoming inhumanly effective, but not in a supernatural way like with Vigor.
>>
>>50309889
I mean clearly supernatural too since you're a magical corpse who isn't physically changing getting stronger. But not to the rend steel level unless you have BP over 5 and thus increase total cap
>>
I'm planning on running a Mage the Awakening game set in the Roaring Twenties, probably in New York or Chicago. I looked through the old books but I couldn't find any mention of mages in that time period. Does anyone know of any good sourcebooks, for any system, that would help me learn more about the 1920s in the United States?
>>
>>50310088
No. There was going to be a Jazz Era vampire setting in Dark Eras I think but it never got to the KS goal, so we can't even look at them and expand to mages.
>>
>>50310088
I too enjoyed Fantastic Beasts.
And sadly no, I have no advice.
>>
>>50310342
that movie seems like it has lots of mage the accession stuff going on

going to see it soon
>>
>>50310088
No. I'm thinking about a Werewolf one though. To play on the gangster themes.
>>
>>50310544
that sounds cool
>>
>>50310453
I've seen it, and the only parallel I can think of is that the world's shitty.
There's nothing else in common.
>>
>>50308713
Hmmm. What if their resistance only makes my fangs harder?
>>
>>50309004
You guys really aren't selling Forsaken to me.
>can't shapeshift for even as long as a beer commercial
>can't resist bullets
>nothing to do but Hunt
What the hell is the point? It might work as a one-shot but how do you milk a campaign out of that, let alone keep players alive??
>>
>>50309450
four armed is fore warned, pal.
>>
>>50309732
>Then why not just... drink blood normally

Mostly because i wanted the flavor of this devout father that doesnt "kiss" anyone because that umbecoming of a catholic priest.
>>
>>50309783
Okay, what would you roll to pick up a pencil? because that's how silly you're being.
>>
>>50310088
Hey, when was the Giovanni Chronicles part IV set? That was all about old school gangsters and included notes on how the Rico act changed things for the Kindred.
>>
>Daily reminder: friends don't let friends LARP and then run for the Republican Party

http://saintpetersblog.com/jake-russ-conservative-congressional-gop-hopefuls-bizarre-double-life/
>>
>>50310702

Well they do apply defense to firearms in dalu/galbro and defense is stupidly high in chrod.

They regenerate all lethal and bashing each turn in garu. They ignore defense (primal fear) and can kill score of goons with a single roll if the ST permits it.

All full moon get 8s again in combat roll from chargen.

As for the "all about the hunt is boring" i cant help you there. I also find it dull and repetitive, i recomend it to ignore it and search another focus.
>>
>>50310889
Plus Lunacy goes full-throttle in Garou, and even if you don't flee like a little bitch, you're suffering -2 to everything
>>
>>50310702
First edition werewolves were weaker than many lesser splat?
>>
>>50310889
>can kill score of goons with a single roll if the ST permits it.

Doesn't that feel massively incongruous to you? Barely better than human, but scary, until there's a group of people, at which point - and ONLY that point - the character turns into a tsunami of death?
>>
>>50310947
The "barely better than human" part was in 1e.
They got MASSIVELY improved in 2e.
>>
>>50310702
Maybe you should try reading the book instead of listening to what people who hate Forsaken tell you, eh?
>can't shapeshift for even as long as a beer commercial
Being unable to maintain Gauru form for sustained periods of time *without going mad* is one of the main themes of the game. Werewolves have to skirt the Death Rage often when they face their enemies. Being a Werewolf means being the child of the mad moon and the great hunter. Gauru is the only form that has that restriction, and you have five total forms.
Also note that Stamina+Primal Urge is more than long enough to finish off most enemies, especially when you've harried and crippled them using the other forms like Urshul, Urshan, and Dalu. It's not that you can only shapeshift for as long as a beer commercial. It's that you can only sustain the form of distilled and purified RAGE INCARNATE for about 20 seconds before you decide to spend an entire night in that form and rend the flesh from the innocent.
>can't resist bullets
That poster was specifically talking about 1e. In 2e, werewolf regeneration is much faster, and while they don't naturally have a way to "resist" bullets, in Gauru form (the horrifying manbeast that makes even the most stalwart of opponents piss themselves in terror), you heal literally all non-Aggravated damage each turn. Oh, also they can dodge bullets.
>nothing to do but Hunt
The Hunt is the ultimate purpose of all Werewolves, descended as they are from Urfarah, the Mother Wolf, Father of Hunters, and incarnation of swift death across Pangaea. But it's far from the only thing. In fact, I think there's actually no penalty for not hunting, and at early levels you only feel the urge to hunt once a month.
Beyond that, there's inter-Tribal conflicts, inter-Pack rivalries, Hunts you perform to protect and defend territory, building and maintaining your Pack (which consists of Wolfblooded and several humans who are more than likely in the dark), I'm running out of room...
>>
>>50310922
Yes. But really, so were vamps. The Onyx Path group (clumsily) decided Mortals needed to be tougher, so they watered down all the splats instead of granting Mortals an advantage unique to them.
>>
>>50311006
>>50310922
I've never really felt that a mortal was ever a challenge for most supernaturals, even in 1e. Supers have comparable health, but even simple supernatural abilities make them so much better than most humans.

Also, Onyx Path didn't exist throughout most of 1e.
>>
>>50311006
>World of Darkness
>Mortals being more powerful
Achtung
>>
>>50311024
Yeah, but equal XP humans tended to vastly out-skill monsters, precisely because those supernatural abilities sunk XP.
And they generally weren't worth it.
>>
>>50311004
>Maybe you should try reading the book instead of listening to what people who hate Forsaken tell you, eh?

Why would I waste time on that, when this good thread tells me everything I need to know and more?
>b-b-but it's a theme
It's still a lame duck, my friend
>>
>>50311037
I disagree. Having skills can't really compare to Dominate, or Protean 3.

>>50311048
Because clearly the thread tells you stupid things.
>It's still a lame duck
What?
>>
>>50307475
>>50307835
I'm not history expert, but I don't remember any prechristian middle eastern scholars who would deserve to be called "scientist" and testing hypothesis in that era is downright laughable.

>>50309124
>I don't think that a blood transfusion is valid. For one, I'm not sure a vampire can even have a blood transfusion, considering they're corpses, but more than that, you're getting around "can't ingest blood" by... ingesting blood.
Agree. But on the other hand I would allow that blood sorcery ritual that gives you one tenth of vitae the target drinks or the similar Invictus oath.

>>50309450
as if arm collection needed any more reasons

>>50309658
great idea, I'm not even joking
>>
>>50311031
Classic Coke had Numina exclusively for mortal chars. That included psychic powers, hedge magic, superscience and the ultimate Vamp-stopper, True Faith. This was on top of vastly outnumbering the creatures of darkness. They were not helpless. A lamentably under-touched element of Classic Coke was that if the Mortals ever got wind of what was really making people disappear, there'd be a panic, a bloody purge and possibly the rise of a global theocracy in response.

>>50311024
>Also, Onyx Path didn't exist throughout most of 1e
The masthead changed, but the staff didn't. Most of Onyx Path is upcycled writers and devs from White Wolf Gaming Studios, maybe a bit older and wiser and post-op but still the same core group. The current White Wolf Publishing team wouldn't know the first thing about publishing a book. Their keynote address at 2016 Grand Masquerade was just the same pitch they'd give at a shareholders meeting.
>>
>>50311167
It's more the average individual that I was referring to with that, anon. Barring true faith, mortals were pretty much always bottom of the barrel.

Of course the collective of humanity greatly outnumbers and outguns whatever spooky exists, but the individual, or even a group of individuals, are typically nil compared to even a 13th gen vampire.
>>
>>50311167
In oWoD, even with all of that, most monsters could roflstomp a human.
Also, quite a few people at Onyx Path weren't there when the company was White Wolf. Our beloved Chris and Dave, for instance.
>>
>>50310702
>>can't shapeshift for even as long as a beer commercial

Also can be ignore with a gift that gives you unlimited time in garu.
>>
>>50310845
this is about the vampire larper who ran for office right?
>>
>>50311396
Yeah. But combat starts the timer though.
>>
>>50311004
>inter-Tribal conflicts

Let not be aspel propagandist here. Inter tribal conflict (the pure exempted) is only if IF the dm feels like make it a thing and not the default. As default tribe is kinda meaningless outside of your favored prey.
>>
>>50311424
That's the one. His LARP profile included him warning another player that if she didn't watch out she was liable to end up sore and bound in a van labelled "FREE CANDY".

Politics, man. You couldn't make this stuff up.
>>
>>50311522
i know right
>>
>>50311167
Also, nearly every mortal on the planet has access to fire - the one thing guaranteed to fuck up absolutely everything. Even the smug Ananasi, proud of their immunity to silver, could be sent packing with a can of hairspray and a lighter.
>>
>>50311454
That's blatantly false.
>>
Would a laser weapon do aggravated damage to a vampire? I know it sounds like a weird question, but I'm not sure if it's fire specifically that does the aggravated damage, or if it's burning.
>>
>>50311660
>That's blatantly false.
the only examples of inter tribal conflict are due to special events like in iraq
>>
>>50311700
>Would a laser weapon do aggravated damage to a vampire?
you could say if you wanted
but the dmage from fire is because of purity/symbolizm and shit so i'd say no
>>
>>50311700
In MtAs, all laser and plasma weapons inflict aggravated damage. It's why the technocrats are scary.
>>
>>50311700
I'd go with Lethal, but sets fire to the target on an exceptional success, and THAT does Aggravated.
The reason being that it's more than just the physical part of the fire that does aggravated.
>>
The reason you play Werewolf is because it's the splat that let's Jimmy be a Promethean (nobody else wanted to play Promethean) and Trevor be a Beast (nobody else wanted to play with Trevor) and still have the story more or less work.
>>
>>50311740
>>50311768
To that end, does that also mean incendiary bullets would be lethal and not aggravated, as they're just, well, very hot bullets?
>>
>>50311843
Molten metal is a listed example for +3 aggravated damage to Vampires, so I think the rules are a little wide.
>>
>>50311843
Unless the round can start fires, I'd go with Lethal (or, in 2e, of course, Bashing).
>>
>>50311756
>>50311768
>>50311874
>>50311901
It specifically says flame at points, and all examples are with fire specifically, save for molten metal (Which can /cause/ fires, I suppose?)

So, perhaps I make lasers lethal and not aggravated then? As it doesn't so much "burn" in the conventional sense, instead causing what are effectively explosions of steam (Which really are more or less 4th degree burns, but... Who knows).
>>
>>50312037
As I said, I recommend that you treat DEW-weapons as normal weapons, but that can cause fires with Exceptional successes, and treat those fires as normal fires.
>>
>>50312037
Lasers work by igniting the target and burning it at pinpoint location. It doesn't rely on kinetic energy.

Take that as you will, but it causing combustion.
>>
>>50311660
>That's blatantly false.

It isnt, the setting makes it very clear that usually the pack comes before everything else and that tribes are loose assosiation if any. The example of tribal conflict all through 1st and 2nd are presented as the exception rather than the rule.
>>
>>50312080
That's probably what I'll do, yes.

>>50312095
Kind of sort of. Pulse lasers work by causing actual explosions, just by virtue of fucking lasers being magic when pulsed. Where as with Beam lasers, yes, you're correct, though your wording implies it's like a regular burn (The whole cauterizing wounds thing with lasers just makes me an unhappy camper). It functions more like putting a hotdog in a microwave, though much faster. The water molecules in a living target would get excited and turn to steam, leaving you with something that wouldn't at all look or really act like a conventional slow burn where the wound is all sealed and nice.

But yeah, lasers=lethal.
>>
>>50311780
>(nobody else wanted to play Promethean)
i want to play that shit so bad I'm thinking of porting it over to Classic Coke.
>>
What does radiation do to a vampire?

Would the vampire just be cancerous to living things for the duration of their half-life? Would it burn them even if they're dead? Would the radiation be purged when they rose with the dusk the next night, the way tattoos and bullets were in oWoD?
>>
>>50312336
That seems like it would be impossible without doing a shitload of work.
Though Dracula will probably eventually make an inferior port of it.
>>
>>50312327
>Kind of sort of. Pulse lasers work by causing actual explosions, just by virtue of fucking lasers being magic when pulsed. Where as with Beam lasers, yes, you're correct, though your wording implies it's like a regular burn (The whole cauterizing wounds thing with lasers just makes me an unhappy camper). It functions more like putting a hotdog in a microwave, though much faster. The water molecules in a living target would get excited and turn to steam, leaving you with something that wouldn't at all look or really act like a conventional slow burn where the wound is all sealed and nice.
You are factually wrong. There's no difference in effect other mechanism of firing. It burns through by ionizing the tissue and then causing a reaction with oxygen to burn it.

There's no shock effect from a laser weapon short of "oh god that hurt."

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/issues/may-2013-online/your-questions-answered-laser-weapons/
>>
>>50312407
Vampires would, presumably, be unaffected by radiation poisoning because their cells don't divide, nor do they need them to.

I would, however, say that Radiation Burns do aggravated. The physical process is identical to burning, and it has incredibly tight thematic ties to both the Sun, and to fire as a representation of human mastery over nature.
>>
>>50312506
On the contrary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsed_energy_projectile
>>
>>50312481
my catty informer has advised me that there are some rules in the Ascension Storyteller's Handbook for Prometheans that can serve as a base. There are allusions in the Canon to "The Promethean Plague" in the Victorian Era. The powers and abilities should be easy to convert if I find existing and comparable abilities in, say, Apocalypse and just re-skin them. Tests for Resolve or Composure just get substituted for Willpower. "9 again" is basically the same as -1 Difficulty in the old world. The only real sticking point is translating Resistance Traits, but a few days of comparing the Translation guides should give me a clue on that.

And yes, Onyx Path have coyly hinted at their plans to introduce new splats such as Prometheans into the Old World, but they have also said that the White Wolf team are still struggling to grasp the entirety of the existing body of work, and if they got approached with MORE monsters, "their heads might explode". (source: GenCon 2016)
>>
File: 1336701555016.jpg (106KB, 550x392px) Image search: [Google]
1336701555016.jpg
106KB, 550x392px
>/wodg/ - Advanced Weapons and Theoretical Metaphysics General

I don't even know why people complain about this, this thread is never boring, ever.
>>
>>50312576
Yeah, but radiation and the sun being connected has only recently started to get into the public mind.
And honestly radiation has a lot of 'corruption' themes going,
>>
What would you recommend for a vampire suffering from a case of blood impotence? It's.... for a friend....
>>
>>50312967
MORE BLOOD. VITAE OUT THE ASS, IT'LL FIX WHAT AILS YOU
>>
I get it now, Promethean is a metaphor of the players themselves. At all points in time, only 100 people who want to play Promethean ever exist. Having one another meet is an incredibly rare happening, even more so building an entire throng of them.
>>
>>50313046
What does the healing from electricity symbolize? The not being human but wanting to be fits a few nerd narratives I guess, but why electricity?
>>
>>50313069
Because socialization is one of the ways to manage stress and revitalize oneself. Being the nerds they are, players can only properly socialize through electronic media or pray to the heavens for some company.
>>
>>50313069
It comes back to the source material.

Dr Frankenstein meets an older Doctor in... Vienna? Years since I read the book, anyway, the Doctor has done extensive experiments animating primate limbs with electrical current, and warns Frankenstein even as he encourages him.

This is based on what was current scientific theory at the time. Biologists had discovered that making a crude battery and hooking it up to the severed legs of a frog made them twitch, a severed heart could be made to beat. It seemed to doctors at the time that if we could just harness the power of electricity, we could unlock the mysteries of life and death. To Mary Shelley, a young woman who's first born had died, this both enthralled and horrified. She wrote that she had a dream where she held the baby's still body close to a flame, as if the flame itself could re-animate her lost love.

As a parent, I can only imagine that horror, and know that I would sell my soul and climb a mountain of corpses if I thought it would bring my son back from the dead.
>>
>>50313433
I know why its in Promethean, I was playing along with the joke of it all being nerd symbolism. Now someone explain quashmallim and the cleansing firestorms in that context.
>>
>>50313492
Oh, well if we're going to be silly about it...

quashmallim are lesser nerds - one trick ponies obsessed with their One True Fandom. The rumours of arch-quashmallim are reflections of the nerdgasm obsession with the idea that that random guy playing an Orc on WoW talking to me is actually Nathan Fillion, because he says so, and who would lie about that?

The cleansing firestorms are the pure, cleaning force of unadultered nerd rage. If you've ever seen a grown man lose his temper over a discussion of whether Spiderman would defeat Wolverine in a fight, you have beheld this form of Azoth in all it's fiery glory.
>>
>>50313492
If Osirians become human, do they get their dicks back?
>>
So I had this idea of a Wolf-blooded NPC who got jealous of the werewolves who were pushing him around for being lesser than him.
He decided to learn magical rituals for shapeshifting to join the werewolves. He was... kind of successful.
He learned the Skin Thief merit, and has a few of the subsequent ones.

This made me notice an interesting thing. Skin Thieves can have an Essence Pool. Wolf Blooded can have a tell that grants them Werewolf-like regeneration, but it costs 1 WP to use.

Would it be too monstrous to give this Wolfblood the ability to channel his internal Essence reservoirs into that healing? Whaddaya think?
>>
>>50313765
Only if their waifu approves
>>
My Mage now has Occultation 3, is he safe from spying and shit now?
>>
>>50313765
Don't know off-hand, but I'd say probably.
Frankenstein's become one, singular entity despite being constructed of like, 5.
Hell, the fact that unfleshed can become human at all means anything's possible.
>>
>>50313876
Actually, I just realized something dumb while posting this.
Why is it that Zeka need to take near-lethal damage when they transform into humans from the radiation, but there's nothing odd or detrimental about METAL, WIRES, AND COGS transforming into FUCKING HUMAN FLESH?
>>
>>50313875
Not really.
>>
>>50313876
>>50313765
Osirians don't all have a missing dick (there are female ones for shit sake). They may find regaining their missing piece is integral to their understanding of humanity, or they may learn that they don't need it.
It's also worth noting that there's no reason that a Frankenstein who achieves the New Dawn wouldn't have mosaicism, and even when they're still Prometheans, Unfleshed are actually still fleshy and humanoid, despite having been robots or statues or dolls.

Actually, I'm supposed to be in a Promethean game and I've got a rough concept for an Unfleshed that I haven't at all been working on (though thankfully for me the game went on hold due to personal problems, and will either die in the womb or not start until next year). I was originally going to use the Nana Natsu concept from Beast (as Unfleshed, because playing or STing for an Extempore seems balls), but I'm thinking about doing that with a video game character instead. I like the idea of some video game waifu come to laifu.
What do you think?

Not sure what to stat such a character like, really. I just think it's an interesting concept, and I've been wanting to do a video game character come to life for a while now. Could either be the player character avatar, or it could be an NPC that the developer or fans took a liking to.

>>50313907
Because Zeka are dumb, and meant to be sadmetheans destined to be villains or blow up. They fit much better as Extempore.

>>50313857
It's an NPC, don't limit yourself to the rules.

>>50313875
Not safe from, but safer.
>>
>>50313989
>It's an NPC, don't limit yourself to the rules.
I prefer to. It makes the game fairer.
>>
Could somebody in oWoD who just got embraced survive a trip overseas?

I want to have a GI get bitten just before getting shipped out and feeding on somebody after they make it to where they're deployed.
>>
>>50313989
I've always wanted to make a Promethean featuring the worst of the "waifu come to laifu" concept: a galatean little girl made to please some disgusting weeaboo's fantasies. Naturally, she gets kicked out of his apartment when disquiet kicks in and she starts serving only as a reminder of her creator's failure at properly socializing. She makes everybody else feel inadequate and guilty due to unconsciously generating pedophilic fantasies in their minds. Because, as we all know, lolis are not for sexualizing.

Obviously, the problem is roleplaying a loli in the first place.

Perhaps you could make the thing a bit more benign and make her creator a Promethean who found his/her life's purpose in anime one way or another.
>>
>>50312506
Anon, that article is talking about modern day laser weapons used for an anti-aircraft role from what I read by skimming. Presumably the laser weapons mentioned previously were meant to be man-portable high energy models that surpass the power of what we have now. There's a big difference between a 14kj/second laser like we have now and a practical man-portable laser weapon in the 700-900kj/second range. The former would probably burn while the second is very liable to either cause a plasma explosion a-la pulse lasers, or simply convert your body to steam if we can reach energies of around 900kj.
>>
>>50314398
Fuck me, after looking for a few more seconds, I saw we got up to 100kj/s. Still, that's not all too impressive and no where near effective enough to supplement or replace infantry weapons.
>>
>>50314288
I would say no, unless the military know about Kindred and have formed a unique unit to combat supernatural threats in the middle east - but I think it would still work better if they were ghouling their troops due to a corrupt commander (the US have done far worse to their own troops)
>>
>>50314027
NPCs aren't meant to be fair. They already don't have XP and instead gain Willpower when fulfilling Aspirations and Conditions. They also do their dirty work off screen and generally unrolled.

>>50314288
Uh... I can think of like thirty reasons that wouldn't work, not the least of which being that shipping out generally takes place in the sunlight hours.

>>50314366
I don't see the problem with roleplaying as a loli, but then again I played Lace. But I don't really want to focus on the waifu part so much as the "video game character" part.
Collective obsession is just what made Nana Natsu verge on becoming a Promethean.
>>
Doctor Strange made for a pretty decent Mage: the Awakening movie
>>
>>50315164
I can't help but to read Dr. Strange as Dr. Strangelove whenever I see it written.
>>
>>50315164
The Crow is the original Risen movie (the Brandon Lee one, they just get consecutively more brain damaged the more the IP holders raped the source material)

>This is now a "that film reminds me of X splat" thread
>>
File: tumblr_mh982jV6vM1r3y74po6_500.jpg (49KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mh982jV6vM1r3y74po6_500.jpg
49KB, 500x500px
MAKE THE DARK UMBRA GREAT AGAIN
>>
Anyone have the Mage 2e pdf with the errata? Thnaks.
>>
>>50315445
Seriously, how long have you been asking.

Just buy the fucking book
>>
>>50315445
This is a meme, right? Surely no-one could be o utterly lazy that they can't be bothered googling a pdf, yet find the energy and incentive to post the same line multiple ties a week. Surely.
>>
>>50315445
Yeah, I do. Thank you for asking <3
>>
How long can a character live using magic to extend their lifespan?
>>
>>50315718
I assume you mean Supernal Magic, in which case indefinitely as long as the spell isn't dispelled.

As for other types of magic, well Immortals has half a dozen ways to become, well, immortal.
>>
>>50315718
Are we talking New Coke or Classic Coke?
>>
>>50315736
>Immortals has half a dozen ways to become, well, immortal.
It's a shame the book on Immortals was so utterly unplayable. Most of the book's suggestions held down the Morality meter and pissed in it's mouth.
>>
>>50315781
Blood Bather sure, but if you're prepared to murder and ritually bathe in your victim's blood then Morality was probably already a lost cause.

Body Thief isn't necessarily evil, it's just the example organisations are.

Purified and the Chapter 4 immortals are fine though. Hell some of the C4 ones are downright fun and don't need to murder and rape anyone
>>
File: Purified.png (114KB, 288x313px) Image search: [Google]
Purified.png
114KB, 288x313px
>>50315781
Unplayable my ass.
Blood Bathers and Body Thieves are fucked up assholes, and that's fine.
If you want to have an immortal PC who's still moral, then go Purified.

I love the Purified, they're likely the closest I'm ever going to get to a game about a Spirit-equivalent of Sin-Eaters.
>>
>>50315718
>How long can a character live using magic to extend their lifespan?

In Awakening, you can live until about 125 or so, and after that you need to either commit moral atrocities or abandon your humanity (or engage in archmaster shenanigans) to really live beyond a normal, if very long, human lifespan.
>>
Have you ever played a V20 vampire with the Stereotype flaw?
>>
File: 1426710879790.jpg (161KB, 900x1226px) Image search: [Google]
1426710879790.jpg
161KB, 900x1226px
Been here for a while but I'm still not sure what RAW means. I've always just assumed it means core and supplemental splats. No homebrew.
>>
>>50316575

Rules As Written (do what the rules say), as opposed to Rules As Intended (do what the writer probably meant / do what makes sense).
>>
>>50316575
>your pic
The Vozhd stared entranced at the pretty lights, momentarily ignoring the delicious smell of fear-laced sweat.
>>
Anyone have the Mage 2e pdf with the errata? Thanks in advance.
>>
How do you guise get your books?

Hand-me-downs? Print on demand? Auction sites?

First manuals I ever owned were a set of AD&D books someone abandoned at a sports carnival when I was 14. I still remember the strange blue line illustrations and the full colour plates of Elmore paintings, the missing spine held together with glass tape.
>>
>>50317077
You know damn well nobody here has ever paid or a book
>>
>>50316074
>Have you ever played a V20 vampire with the Stereotype flaw?
You mean a Tzimisce?
>>
File: angry birds.jpg (66KB, 607x340px) Image search: [Google]
angry birds.jpg
66KB, 607x340px
>>50317116
>paying for books
I have... and do... and will tonight... my bookcase must groan with the weight of a thousand titles, for pdf is one power outage away from being as useless as tits on a bull
>>
>>50317142
So use your water wheel for power

You do have a water wheel, right?
>>
>>50317142
>one power outage away from being as useless as tits on a bull

Don't worry, it's not 1995, you can back both view and back-up you're Guide to the Technocracy on multiple formats and even your phone or the cloud.
>>
>>50317142
>tfw parts of your country have been in drought for a decade

Why can't I use books that don't need a power source, again?
>>
>>50317170
>Why can't I use books that don't need a power source, again?

Nobody is stopping you from printing your PDF's. The printouts will look great on your desk next to the rotary phone, slide rule and rolodex.
>>
>>50317161
>multiple formats
Unless it's printed out, the blackouts still kill that option.
>my phone
In a blackout I need it for emergency calls, a blackout means I lose my landline. I literally cannot waste the power looking up rules.
>the cloud
My country has internet slower than Romania, also the internet piggybacks on the phone connection so a blackout kills the local transmission tower even if I had a personal generator or power source.
>it's not 1995
My federal government are spectacularly incompetent, dimwitted and incapable of grasping the idea that technology benefits society, regardless of which brainless sod gets voted in.

This cunt is supposed to be the highest ranking lawyer in the country (Gaia help us all) and this was his attempt to explain why we needed a crippled internet spying on it's citizens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbtgULCY5zk
>>
I haven't been around in a while. DaveB mentioned before the release of Mage 2e that he intended to subsequently offer extras on his blog for antagonists and legacies, as well a FAQ.

Are any of these available or has Dave indicated when they might be released?
>>
>>50317218

Australia is a modern, first world country.

Are you literally living in the Outback?
>>
>>50317239
For FREE??? NEIN, MORE CASH FOR THE CASH GOD!!! ELRICSSON, STRIKE THIS DAVEB HERETIC DOWN WITH ALL YOUR FURIOUS FULL ASS-RAPE STIFFNESS!!!
>>
OPP's Swedish overlords are far too busy LARPing, polishing their katanas and mirrorshades, and ensuring Vampire 5e is sufficiently "edgy," to even notice some cutting room floor material from anything in the goth-deficient CofD appearing on a developer's blog.
>>
>>50317239
I think Dave said that he might release Legacies (which won't be the ones in future books), when the people in his groups he GMs for take those legacies and he needs to write rules for them.
>>
>>50317263
>Australia is a modern, first world country.
With a national broadband network that has been effectively hobbled by successive Liberal governments. The majority of the population live in coastal cities, creating an illusion to the people in them that the cities are all there is to Australia. This has resulted in increasing anger and disillusionment as city policies impact on country living.

>Are you literally living in the Outback?
More bush than Outback. But yes, I'm typing this in a bush-locked valley on an archaic laptop, using a microwave uplink, over an hour's drive from the nearest city. We have blackouts here that can last days. We've been boiling our water since winter, due to e-coli outbreaks in the local water supply. People just deal with it in whatever way they can.

That's why roleplaying is such a good entertainment out here. It can be done by candlelight, torchlight, even starlight if you can still see the dice rolls. A few books, a handful of dice, some friends and an excuse - what more do you need?
>>
>>50317317
>what more do you need

Electricity? Running water? A willingness to move to civilization?
>>
>>50317355
>Electricity?
Eh, it's tolerable without it. TV is shitty 24-7. Most blackouts occur in the winter, and at that point it's so cold the food doesn't even spoil if you keep diary in the hallway. About the only thing I'd really miss would be the radio.
> Running water?
That flouride ridden muck that city types rave about? It tastes like pool chlorine. Nothing compares to the rain in the wilderness, friend, or the taste of a clear mountain stream.
> A willingness to move to civilization?
It's a verifiable fact that cities breed madness and despair. I lived in a big city once, a city of millions and no-one even knew who lived next door to them. Millions of people, trapped in their private hells, racing like lemmings to their deaths every morning on trains packed like cattle-cars, going home avoiding eye contact with the people around them to eat take-out alone in a one room flat with 165,000 cockroaches. Out here, strangers actually help each other. We have to - when you're facing down a fire front the size of the state border, we sink or swim together. There's space out here, freedom, peace and quiet.

Maybe Phil Brucato isn't so crazy after all....
>>
So wait, Shielding is sufficient to render one completely immune to a certain factor, bar exertion of another Supernatural power imposing a Clash of Wills.

So Forces Shielding can render one completely immune to radiation, or heat?

Helping a friend write a Forces legacy, and I'm thinking given his predeliction for fire, an immunity would be an excellent second attainment.
>>
>>50317317
Aren't liberal governments supposed to be the ones that finance communication and public works projects?

>>50317662
>fluoride, cities breed despair
Man, I get that you enjoy country living even though you spent several posts describing it as a shithole and one has to wonder how there are even people to game with you, but don't sound like a crazy person.
Also, how does it get cold enough to keep dairy in the hallway in Australia? You don't even get snow.

>>50317765
It's already the Forces 4 general Attainment: Environmental Immunity
>Wind, fire, extreme cold, and lightning — the forces of nature are largely under the command of the Adept of Forces, and she can ignore them with near impunity.
You spend a point of Mana and ignore environmental tilts caused by fire, rain, etcetera.

Personally I'd rather focus on more active Attainments.
>>
>>50317957
>It's already the Forces 4 general Attainment: Environmental Immunity
No, that protects against Extreme Environments and Tilts. Not direct exposure to Fire.

Plus I'm finding it hard to think up 5 different useful fire-related Forces attainments. Like, even as far as I've got it, Control Fire seems to make Influence Fire redundant.
>>
>>50317957
>Aren't liberal governments supposed to be the ones that finance communication and public works projects?
At this point it's important to draw a distinction between "liberal" with a small L, meaning one who believes in personal freedoms and a minimum of governmental interference, and "Liberal", being the monster that one of the largest Australian political parties has become. Corrupted by corporate interests, driven by an effort to appease the far right and increasingly out of touch with ordinary Australians. The same cultural tensions that led to Brexit in the UK and Trump in the USA are working here to undermine faith in major parties; the last election saw a record vote for independent members and smaller parties.

During the Tony Abbot era (considered by many to be Australia's "George Dubya" moment), Abbot deigned to massively slash funding to the National Broadband Network, reducing the original "fibre to the home" plan with a "fibre to the node, rotting copper wire to your door" plan that literally everyone in the industry said was a terrible idea. The internet speeds and access in our country are now falling fast behind other first world nations as a direct result.

As for public works, Abbot poured money into massive road developments states insisted they neither wanted nor needed.

Abbot was deposed by his own party, weeks before he was eligible for a PM pension.

>country as shithole
Everything here is dangerous. Snakes, spiders, the sunlight, fire, blue ring octopus (dead before you can get to a phone)... "shithole" is relative.

>how does it get cold enough to keep dairy in the hallway?
Winters can be fierce. Inland areas are hardest hit at night, Canberra itself regularly freezing on winter mornings. There are snowy areas, all mountainous and bushland. I myself live on a small island below the 40th parallel. We have penguins.
>>
File: jesucristocolega.jpg (44KB, 650x644px) Image search: [Google]
jesucristocolega.jpg
44KB, 650x644px
>>50317122
>>
>>50317317
>With a national broadband network that has been effectively hobbled by successive Liberal governments.

Cool! Here the liberal government is trying to force through 100mbit internet for all citizens, no matter where they live.
>>
>>50317317
You know you can just move right
>>
File: 1473098765540.png (84KB, 480x280px) Image search: [Google]
1473098765540.png
84KB, 480x280px
>>50316074
>VtM
>>
>>50318486
> Here the liberal government is trying to force through 100mbit internet for all citizens, no matter where they live.
I hear that Sweden have determined it to be an inalienable right of it's citizens to be able to access the internet... the problem is that this government is run by foolish old men who don't understand the technology or how important it is.Truly, a bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world.
>>50318493
Where would I go? Everywhere has problems. Nowhere in this country is safe from venomous creatures or hostile environments. Why would I leave this place, with all it's terrible beauty, when I've adjusted to it's hardships with ease? Remember, I've only complained about the cities - I'm content here in the wild places. I kicked all this off by asking how people get their books.
>>
>>50318556
>I hear that Sweden have determined it to be an inalienable right of it's citizens to be able to access the internet... the problem is that this government is run by foolish old men who don't understand the technology or how important it is.Truly, a bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world.
The shit that happens when you have a welder for prime minister.
>>
File: 927620ccd9763eff141173a628e639ea.jpg (551KB, 2048x1025px) Image search: [Google]
927620ccd9763eff141173a628e639ea.jpg
551KB, 2048x1025px
>Have you ever used Asian folklore in your games? Or played Kindred of the east?

I was gonna do a guest-GM session for our Mage session and have our modern-druid-hippie Thyrsus being the subject of Odin's Wild Hunt in a horror dream. Never got around to do it, sadly, but I still have it in my backpocket.
>>
>>50318710
I misread the question completely. Disregard what I said, I suck cocks.
>>
>>50318551
Are you under some kind of contractual obligation to post that reaction pic at least once a week? At this point I'm not even sure if you're for or against the old world of darkness.
>>
>>50317077

Amazon, mostly. It's one of the few places where you can get the old nWoD ST screens without paying too much, for example. My used book stores don't carry RPG books, neither do library bookstores when they try to sell off their collections.
>>
Is coteries from 1st requiem still useful for 2nd?
>>
>>50319147

All part of dracula's one world of darkness all media initiative.
>>
>>50319342
Most 1e stuff still is. Just take it with a grain of salt.
>>
Is the whole "full ass-rape stiffness" thing just blatant magical realm?
>>
>>50320227
Context?
>>
File: Elricsson.jpg (88KB, 393x599px) Image search: [Google]
Elricsson.jpg
88KB, 393x599px
>>50320255
Martin "Dracula" Elricsson, lead storyteller at White Wolf Publishing and the man solely responsible for what direction all of these games we enjoy is going to take for the next decade or so, wrote a truly gnarly piece of "horror" (just bad Aspel porn, really) that contained phrases such as "choking on my blood-spunk".
>>
Is the world of darkness stuff in the mega from the same edition as chronicles of darkness?
>>
>>50320615
Chronicles of Darkness is the same as nWoD 2e
>>
>>50320672
Ah. Allright, thanks for the confirmation.
>>
>>50320338
>(just bad Aspel porn, really)
You do know people more than me write smut, right?
I am clearly a better writer than he is, though that isn't saying much.

>>50320615
Some of it is, some of it isn't.
>>
Can someone explain the paradox stuff of mages to me?All I know is ''if someone knows it's magic,you poof out of existence''.Do the same rules apply to ALL the mages?
What about magical objects?
Also where do the supernatural beings sit on this?Like,if a vampire was the one to tell that a mage casted a spell,would it still cound a paradox or are they exempt from this?
>>
>>50321761
As of Mage 2e

Anyone/anything that is itself inherently supernatural (including all main templates) is immune to Paradox. Humans who have supernatural merits or are psychic or whatever are likewise immune, as are those who are normal Humans but buy the 1 dot Sleepwalker merit to become immune.

If the object is a magically conjured sword then Paradox applies if they see you summon the sword from thin air, but not if they just see you holding a normal looking sword, even if it is magical.

If you're holding a glowing blade that sings as you slice up your opponents though, they're going to notice that is obviously magical and paradox will apply.

Paradox is basically the Pattern Spiders going "hey wait a sec, that shit ain't right" and correcting reality in line with mundane physics instead of Supernal rules.
>>
>>50321761
>Can someone explain the paradox stuff of mages to me?All I know is ''if someone knows it's magic,you poof out of existence''.Do the same rules apply to ALL the mages?
It depends on what edition you're talking about.

In oWoD and nWoD 1e, Paradox was the result of casting any obvious magic, it just got stronger if there were actual witnesses around to see it. In nWoD 2e (Chronicles of Darkness), Paradox is the result of overreaching the power of your spell, and gets worse if there are witnesses.

And yes, it applies to all Mages, though not all magic. Legacy powers, for example, are Paradox-immune.

>What about magical objects?
Subject to paradox.

>Also where do the supernatural beings sit on this?Like,if a vampire was the one to tell that a mage casted a spell,would it still cound a paradox or are they exempt from this?
Supernatural beings do not count as witnesses, nor do sleepwalkers (think of them as "barely-awakened" mortals).
>>
>>50321817
>Paradox is basically the Pattern Spiders going "hey wait a sec, that shit ain't right" and correcting reality in line with mundane physics instead of Supernal rules.

That's literally the one aspect of Paradox that was DROPPED in Mage 2e.

Vulgar/subtle split no longer exists.
>>
>>50321835
World still doesn't like people seeing magic. It got rid of the mechanical split, but it's still triggered by people seeing magic. It's just situational now instead of spell-specific
>>
>>50321850
its just made worse by people seeing it
it's triggered by using more than your free reach
>>
>>50321977
I might be thinking of Dissonance
>>
File: both.png (129KB, 597x621px) Image search: [Google]
both.png
129KB, 597x621px
>>50321850
>it's triggered by using more than your free reach
>>50321850
>it's still triggered by people seeing magic.

It's triggered by both these things, and more. Once you have a dicepool you can't reduce it to lower than a chance die.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1285x715px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1285x715px
What is the best path and why is it Moros?
>>
>>50324068
How can corpses and dirt compare to the celestial harmony of truth?

Obrimos is best Path.
>>
>>50324172
>Obrimos is best Path.

Fireballs and thunder thats what playing mages is all about
>>
>>50324172
>Obrimos

Angel nigga pls
>>
>>50321835
>>50321850
Not that anon, but it's still a useful metaphor. Paradox is the backlash as the world tries to reassert itself. It's just that in 2e there's no hard and fast Vulgar/Covert, things *become* Vulgar when your Reach exceeds your grasp.

>>50321761
You're mixing Paradox and Dissonance. They're different things.
Paradox is when a Willworker performs magic too great for their skill, and too much for them to safely reform reality around. Essentially, when you cast a spell, you reach up into the Supernal--through the Abyss--and pull down a bit of that reality. Normally you only pull down what you're capable of pulling down, so no harm, no foul. Paradox is when you try to grab a great big fistfull and the Abyss leaks in because you made a hole you're not capable of dealing with.
Dissonance is the human mind's inability to comprehend the visibly Supernal due to the influence of the Abyss. It inflames and causes Paradox, because every Sleeping soul is protected by the Abyss and Quiescence. You know how in The Matrix anyone can turn into an Agent if they see you doing things? It's like that, only instead of turning into an Agent it causes Paradox, and it only really reacts to the presence of active and noticable Supernal Magic.

>>50324068
Because being a necromancer detective is my dream.
>>
>>50324172
>Obrimos is best Path

While I too prefer Obrimos from a narrative perspective, and the fluff certainly make them seem quite impressive, Forces and Prime were so hobbled in Mage 2e in comparison to the other Arcana that the fluff no longer matches the mechanics (a problem that also existed in 1e).

I'm hoping Dave's upcoming Mage FAQ remedies some of the problems and deficiencies with Forces and Prime, particularly compared to Arcana such as Fate, Mind or Matter.
>>
>>50321646
>>(just bad Aspel porn, really)
>You do know people more than me write smut, right?
Of course, I have written it on occasion myself. It's just that yours is pretty bad. Elricsson's is worse.
>>
>>50324374

If you cast a spell without exceeding you available Reach, if it's witnessed by a Sleeper and it's obviously magical, it will still invoke at least a die of Paradox (with dice tricks for larger groups of people).
>>
>>50324434
I know. That's what I said.

>>50324430
I'll have you know plenty of people like my smut.
>>
>>50325052
>I'll have you know plenty of people like my smut
Thousands of people bought "50 shades of Grey", it doesn't change the fact that it was a boring, long-winded piece of shit with one page of consensual missionary. With a condom. Wew, really had to check off "safe sane and consensual" for that scenario.
>>
>>50325130
>one page of consensual missionary. With a condom. Wew, really had to check off "safe sane and consensual" for that scenario.
It does? I find that surprising.
>>
>>50325130
Also apparently the bondage shit wasn't well done. Dangerous practices being taught kind of thing
>>
>>50325142
Seriously, the rest of the book is long winded and goes largely nowhere. Grey is head of a corporation that just "makes money", no explanation and he never actually seems to work for it. Pages of negotiating contract terms. A lot of Grey being all tortured and mysterious for no reason, just pure Edge. Stupid, stupid dialogue that makes my brain hurt;
>what's a buttplug?
WHAT DO YOU THINK IT IS FROM THE NAME ALONE YOU STUPID BITCH

And yes, the film version had a single sex scene, 30 seconds, missionary position. This is actually longer than their shagging gets in the book. The rest was all lingering glances, constipated pauses and brain damaged internal monologues. Despite this, a cinema in Scotland was forced to remove over a dozen "soiled cucumbers" after a midnight showing.

There's a reason those books are ten feet deep at refuse stores and thrift shops. Some places have actually asked people to stop donating them.

I'm no Nazi, I don't endorse burning books, but really this one could be comfortably thrown on Mein Kampfire and genuinely make the world a better place.
>>
>>50325183
Oh holy shit, yes - if the book went down with a hillbilly in a trailer, it'd be a Criminal Minds episode.

>As several experienced BDSM practitioners emphasized to me, there are healthy, ethical ways to consensually combine sex and pain. All of them require self-knowledge, communication skills, and emotional maturity in order to make the sex safe and mutually gratifying. The problem is that Fifty Shades casually associates hot sex with violence, but without any of this context. Sometimes, Ana says yes to sex she’s uncomfortable with because she’s too shy to speak her mind, or because she’s afraid of losing Christian; she gives consent when he wants to inflict pain, yet that doesn’t prevent her from being harmed.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/02/consent-isnt-enough-in-fifty-shades-of-grey/385267/

In the wake of the book's release, many new people flooded onto Fetlife looking for some BDSM experiences, and were consequently raped and abused by unscrupulous arseholes. To make matters worse, Fetlife policies prevented those victims from naming and shaming their abusers, allowing them carte blanche to repeat it over and over again.

50 shades is to BDSM what Twilight was to the vampire archetype; fucking prions.
>>
>>50325367
>>50325272
>>50325183
>>50325142

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkLqAlIETkA
>>
>>50324068
Thrysus is where it's at.
>>
>>50325418
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw10xa_xtNg&t=1m33s
>>
Where my Signs of Sorcery at DaveB?

Matter spells are great and all, but Alchemy they ain't!
>>
File: Why People Play ERP.gif (1MB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
Why People Play ERP.gif
1MB, 300x168px
>>50325272
>I'm no Nazi, I don't endorse burning books
I support book burning for the same reason I support flag burning.

>>50325367
>and were consequently raped and abused by unscrupulous arseholes
Is that true? Also, isn't that essentially why FetLife is a hole that no sane BDSM practitioner uses anymore?

>>50325497
>>50325418
Pic related
>>
>>50325551
>Matter spells are great and all, but Alchemy they ain't!

Dave's been pretty clear that 1e alchemy was a mess, and that there'll be nothing like it in SoS or 2e generally. He indicated that there be some mention of how to effectively temporarily imbue items for those without Prime 4 and maybe some ways to safely relinquish without a Willpower Dot, but to expect little else.

As per his spoilers, we will also see the return and small expansion of perfected materials. However, the material in the spoilers still needed a lot of work.
>>
I need shovel-head like faction of disposable goons as an outlets to 2 combat centric vampires PCs in my requiem game. What would you recommend, VII or Belial Brood?
>>
>>50325935
Mortals with lighters and mouthfuls of hard liquor.
>>
>>50325935
A Careful draug with Larva minions
>>
>>50325935
There's a Voivode coil or scale that lets a vampire mass embrace a bunch of people. They wake up with 0 vitae and thus is they don't immediately frenzy they're on a hairtrigger.

The Ordo Dracul has what you need, though someone with enough ranks in the coil will be fairly high ranking and you're making a big effort to do this, so factor that in too.
>>
>>50325709
1e Alchemy was a shit-show.
But I really just want stuff like healing and augmentation potions.

As in, add Matter 3 to any given Life spell in order to instill that temporarily into a liquid, which uses its effect upon whoever drinks it?

Mostly so I can throw out a plot hook about some fuckwit Mage who created a whole load of excess potions created with his Alchemy-based Legacy, leaving them where some Sleepers got ahold of them. And now there are Sleepers running around turning into bears, tripping on Life Unveiling spells, and smashing down doors with supernatural strength.
>>
>>50325673
>tfw I like ERP
>tfw I am mostly too lazy to think of a complex character to play as because the only time I want to do it i'm too horny to think straight
>>
>>50325961
>>50326013

I meant as a recurring faction, kind of like the sabbat.

So when the combat oriented players get innevitably bore of the whole "my humanity, such monster i am" they can let off some stem (as players) and kill vampire goons with their devotions
>>
>>50326120
There's really no faction in VtR that does that since embrace now eats a dot of willpower and humanity, you can't really get away with it. Just throw Belial's Brood at them or something and don't draw their attention to the number issue. Or, again, mortals. There's ghouls and normal mortals who work for and with vampires. Hell, there's Hunters too. The Union is a fan of lynch mobs
>>
>>50326107
>>>/soc/24589439
You don't need a *ton* of work.

>>50326120
There's a lot of various things that can fill that "monster to be slain" role. You could also create your own faction that's behind it all. Revenants are the type of vampire you'd want to focus on, and perhaps some faction has been creating them en masse.

Though a bunch of recurring mooks to slaughter is the kind of thing that isn't really fitting for WoD. It's also likely to get old fast. Just have side-sessions of something lighter and punchier to let off steam. Killing 30 some odd other vampires is the sort of thing that I, personally, would find strains my suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>50326298
Most people are snobby on F-list and talk shit about profiles, too busy to make a decent profile on there.
>>
>>50326298
>Though a bunch of recurring mooks to slaughter is the kind of thing that isn't really fitting for WoD. It's also likely to get old fast. Just have side-sessions of something lighter and punchier to let off steam. Killing 30 some odd other vampires is the sort of thing that I, personally, would find strains my suspension of disbelief.

Well the players are fans of Vampions for masquerade so it isnt likely to get old for them. I am running the game for 4 people, 2 are great players that RP the shit out of their humanity and slowly loss of there off and their requiems. The other two just wanted Celerity, vigor and resilience and they are putting every XP avaible to them to those 3. I cant kick them out of the game because they come in a package with the good players (one is the brother of one of the players) so i just wanna an "enemy at the gates" for them to punch and get their jollies off.

I was thinking of something like the sabbat where you go off the civilize parts and encounter packs of "near dark" like vampires for them to slaughter. I dont wanna use humans because they already surpass many humans. (Physical stats primary, all their point in combat) and neither i wanna use other splats because there is no other splats in my setting.
>>
>>50325673
>I support book burning for the same reason I support flag burning.
>Supporting anti-national actions
I'm going to report you to the House Un-American Activities Committee and you can't do a thing about it
>>
>>50326561
Good.

>>50326512
I *like* CofD and I'd find constant combat annoying, but if they like it, so be it.

Hell, just drop the Sabbat in there.
>>
>>50326086

I think an Awakened drug dealer is a far better plot hook.
>>
>>50326767
Semi-historical game.
Less focus on Drugs.
>>
>>50326814

Supernal opium.
>>
>>50326767
It's so easy to make money with magic why be a drug dealer?
>>
>>50326831
Every fucking RPG with even a semi-modern focus I've played in the last 3 years has had Drugs as a main fucking focus.

I'm sick to fucking tears of hearing about drugs. Be they Magic or otherwise.

So no, no Awakened or Supernal fucking Opium.
Especially as I want Sleepers to be taking this shit, and not suffering Quiescence.
>>
>>50326869
>Every fucking RPG with even a semi-modern focus I've played in the last 3 years has had Drugs as a main fucking focus.
Jesus, what games have you been playing?
>>
File: 165cd7613ac8d8a7b0931e43ac4268b7.jpg (105KB, 720x1000px) Image search: [Google]
165cd7613ac8d8a7b0931e43ac4268b7.jpg
105KB, 720x1000px
Running a house-ruled/simplified Mage the Ascension campaign soon with a large Chinatown currently undergoing a gang war between wuxia martial artists and supernatural Yakuza. This isn't the core plot, just factions in the city.

Also one PC is a japanese shrine-maiden.
>>
>>50326931
I would suggest using Awakening if you're houseruling things to simplify them, but frankly when you've got wuxia martial artists, there are probably better systems to use. Or maybe I just consider wuxia one of the things CofD doesn't do well.

You also didn't ask a question.
>>
>>50326946
I DESPISE Awakening with a passion, both mechanically and fluffwise, so no thanks.

Also, ask a question? I was just responding to the OP.
>>
>>50326968
Why do you DESPISE Awakening with a passion, both mechanically and fluffwise? Have you read 2e?

Also, I forgot that was the OP question.
>>
>>50326896
Shadowrun, 40K RPGs, Vampire the Masquerade, Mutants and Masterminds, even Edge of the Empire, and fucking Pathfinder.
>>
>>50327002
Mechanically I'll admit I don't know as much about it, but the big thing that gets me is the fluff.

Awakening's fluff is just such a massive step downward from Ascension's. It goes from a game about this awesome super post-modern existentialist premise based in real-world occultist traditions into this weird Spirit Science gnostic thing where none of the factions really catch my interest.
>>
>>50327009
I've only busted the drug theme out heavily in one game I've done lately which is Shadowrun and I'm running Ghost Cartels. Maybe you've got a weird group sample size? That's a lot.
>>
>>50327029
I feel like you should read 2e.
I honestly find the "you can fit any real world tradition into this framework" way of doing things much more palatable than the weird kitchen sinky bullshit of Ascension, and I like Awakening's unique take on the New Age Theosophy concepts. While everyone complains that Masquerade has far more setting and worldbuilding than Requiem (which ignores all the setting that Requiem has across several books of fluff), if you ask me, Awakening has a much more detailed and thought out setting than Ascension's "everything is real lol" approach.
>>
>>50327009
Are the themes of drugs primarily negative or positive?

If it's the latter, I'm sorry to tell you but >>50326561 may report you.
>>
>>50326120
an entire group of ghouled klu klux klan members armed with pitchforks, torches and 25 feet of hemp rope.

This works on so many levels. Apart from the sheer joy of shredding racist redneck assholes, they leave behind handy robes with facemasks to infiltrate the enemy compound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6wMH2AGbwg
>>
>>50327029
>Awakening's fluff is just such a massive step downward from Ascension's. It goes from a game about this awesome super post-modern existentialist premise based in real-world occultist traditions into this weird Spirit Science gnostic thing where none of the factions really catch my interest.

Dont bother, 2E doesnt do anything to fix any of that. If you like Ascesion keep at it, ascension is awesome.

2E is good too, but different games for different tastes.
>>
File: OrderofReason.png (908KB, 1135x770px) Image search: [Google]
OrderofReason.png
908KB, 1135x770px
>>50327126
This is actually purely a matter of taste, but the thing that draws me to Ascension is that same weird kitchen sink bullshit.

My PCs are a Hermetic magus, a japanese shrine maiden, a cowboy with Aztec blood magic vaguely inspired by Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and a long-haired computer hacker who never leaves his house.

The things I love about Ascension [willworking, consensual reality, All Myths Are True, and IRL kitchen sink bullshit where meme magicians can summon Pepes to fight Christian miracle workers and wuxia martial artists while all get hunted by beleagured Men in Black] is probably the exact same things you hate about it.
>>
>>50326512
I'm with this guy;
>>50326613
>Hell, just drop the Sabbat in there.
just make them a death cult that chooses "breeders" from their flock who literally embrace until it destroys them, for the glory of the cause. They are doing it to destroy the overlords of your setting, because they insist the overlords are being manipulated by the forces of darkness. Only once the streets are washed clean in the blood of the oppressors will their stolen souls be returned to them... or something like that.
>>
>>50327187
>My PCs are a Hermetic magus, a japanese shrine maiden, a cowboy with Aztec blood magic vaguely inspired by Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and a long-haired computer hacker who never leaves his house.
All of that can be done in Awakening. And, in fact, is valid inspiration for a Legacy.
>The things I love about Ascension [willworking, consensual reality, All Myths Are True, and IRL kitchen sink bullshit where meme magicians can summon Pepes to fight Christian miracle workers and wuxia martial artists while all get hunted by beleagured Men in Black] is probably the exact same things you hate about it.
You would be correct.

Though I still don't think oWoD is good at Wuxia. They made an entire oWoD system for Wuxia and it still isn't that good (I mean Exalted... though also Street Fighter)
>>
>>50326613
Are you, or have you ever been, a member of the Communist Party?
>>
>>50327239
No, but I know a guy who has a cossack hat.
>>
>>50326931
Sounds *epic*. Are you going to throw the Dark Kingdom of Jade in there for flavour?
>>
>>50327225
I meant literally just put "The Sabbat" into nWoD. Goals, philosophy, purpose, all of it. Only thing you wouldn't have is their specific Clans. You could even have them be right about Antedeluvians being the origin of vampires, or they could just be talking about suitably ancient and powerful vampires who aren't necessarily the source of it all. It doesn't particularly matter unless they awaken.

>>50327239
I'm more of an anarchist.
>>
>>50327238
Well whatever I've been obsessing over Ascension for years and I finally have a group to play it so thats what I'm going with. Actually really excited. I don't want to spoil the plot, since there's a chance my players are lurking, but I'm hyped as fuck.

The game takes place in a fictional large city in California I've filled with the various Mage factions and am setting in early 2017 in a universe where most of the 90s Mage metaplot never happened.

Even went so far as to write a blurb about how Virtual Adepts have experienced a surge in Awakenings due to the meme magick phenomenon online this year, and the implications of summoning Kek into the Digital Web.

Also done some mild revamping of the Technocracy including turning HIT Marks into essentially anti-magic SWAT teams.
>>
>>50327275
>I'm more of an anarchist.
Max Stirner please leave
>>
>>50327262
Nah the game itself isn't wuxia. What's happened there is that there's a large asian district in the city populated primarily by recent immigrants with backwards traditions, and the result has turned the entire area into a reality zone [per M20] where lesser Akashic effects are Coincidental.

The Technocracy is pissed to hell about it and is trying to keep it under control, but the streets themselves are caught in the midst of a gang war between people who've essentially weaponized wuxia as sorcery and occasionally outright Mages.

Also the local cartel is run by vampires.
>>
>>50327293
>Even went so far as to write a blurb about how Virtual Adepts have experienced a surge in Awakenings due to the meme magick phenomenon online this year, and the implications of summoning Kek into the Digital Web.
Please stop talking.

Wouldn't the Shadowrun hacker wizards not want to be associated with crazy racist white nationalist Breitbart reading internet trolls? That seems more like the kind of group that the Technocracy would want to cultivate.
>>
>>50327333
You do realize its canonical in most of the Sons of Ether splats that one of the main reason the Sons split from the Technocracy, and later the Virtual Adepts as well, is because the Technocracy was actively pursuing global technocratic dictatorship where plebs held no power, only the Technocracy did?

And that there is a minor Hermetic house based around the symbolic powers of Technology in the original Order of Hermes splat?

The idea that joke-occultism could develop into occasional Awakenings is not at all out of the question. Hell, using numerology to alter reality is textbook sphere of Entropy.
>>
>>50327379
It's more the whole "/pol/tards are becoming wizards in the 90s hacker faction" thing.
>>
>>50327408
Not a major setting point so much as a minor in-joke for my group, but I really don't see the problem with it. The Adepts are and always have been rebellious computer-savvy assholes. In the 90s that meant they were punks and geeks. In the 10s I reasoned that meant a lot of them would be trolls.
>>
>>50327435
Yeah, but the troll attitude is counter to
> most of the Sons of Ether splats that one of the main reason the Sons split from the Technocracy, and later the Virtual Adepts as well, is because the Technocracy was actively pursuing global technocratic dictatorship where plebs held no power, only the Technocracy did
Why would they be associated with the decidedly white nationalist anti-progressive denizens of /pol/?
>>
I could never get into the technocracy as antagonists.
>>
>>50327493
Me either, really. I find them to be dumb, and the Seers of the Throne do everything they did better, primarily by focusing less on the technology-as-evil-and-controlling aspects that are a heavy part of the 90s zeitgeist, and more focus on control and oppression through structure and heirarchy. Which is another way that I feel CofD handles things better. The Seers feel much more timeless than the Technocracy.
>>
>>50327478
I actually wrote into my setting that not all of the Adepts were pleased with it, despite the increase in membership.

But on a more political level [which I don't want to get into too deep because I don't want to derail the thread] its because the establishment flipped. In the 90s being a rebel meant pissing in the tea of the Christian morality police. Now it means pissing in the tea of the PC morality police.

Being an asshole to "the Man" is what the Adepts are all about, so doing shit for the lulz to those in power [like meming an orange steak salesman into the most powerful office on the planet] I at least felt applied.

Plus, its a bunch of idiots literally practicing occultism, as a joke or no. I had to write at least a few sentences on its effect on Mage society, even if it played no role in the story [and it seems unlikely to].
>>
>>50327126
>New Age Theosophy concepts
They are considered over-rated by most modern occultists, anon. One of their teachings - that the different ages of the planet are inherited by different races - was a direct inspiration for the Thule society. So really, all that screaming about the Aryan race inheriting the earth has left a bad taste in most sensible people's mouths when it comes to Theosophy.

I like everything about Ascension, for the exact reasons you hate it. Different horses for different courses, I suppose....
>>
>>50327321
Seems like a cool campaign Anon. GoodLuck sir

As a side parallel, if I were running it nwod style. A joint effort of adamantine arrow and Free council mages. tapping into recent immigration for inspiration. and powering a Hallow in the local area.

Seers of the Throne trying to squash the hallow attempt, with deportations and immigration registries. Backing Local extremist gangs.

Ladders fight it out in the political bureaucracy circles. Mysts trying to figure out what links these immigrants to hallows. And Guardians playing hot potato with magical leaks.
>>
>>50327541
>>50327493
The thing that gets me about is the Seers is they're much less morally grey then the Technocracy.

The Technocracy is controlling and stamp out wonder, but they also invented toilet paper and electricity.

The Seers are much more punchclock villains, serving evil tyrant gods for power and magical knowledge.
>>
>>50327333
>>original plotline
>waaaaah make it stop it's not canon

you sicken me.
>>
>>50327478
Every faction has it's extreme elements. No-one wears a pure white hat.
>>
>>50327478
Could be because it's the lesser of two evils? It may be "white nationalist" but at least it's still made up of ordinary unwashed plebs. As opposed to the opposition, which is bolstered by globalism and multinational corps. I mean, I don't think I could ever see Hillary as anything but a Technocracy puppet. And I guarantee George Soros is juiced in with the NWO and/or the Syndicate.
>>
>>50327541
>technology-as-evil-and-controlling aspects that are a heavy part of the 90s zeitgeist

I didn't realise that the Snowden Files came out nearly 20 years ago. Or that the news reporting on the UK instituting the lawful obtaining of years worth of personal data from private citizens who weren't even suspected of crimes was somehow delayed since 1997. Who knew.
>>
File: WizardMustbeStopped.jpg (91KB, 600x563px) Image search: [Google]
WizardMustbeStopped.jpg
91KB, 600x563px
>>50327546
>Being an asshole to "the Man" is what the Adepts are all about

Thats a main trait of the traditions as a whole. not the exclusive focus of VAs. VAs are about balancing the wonder of mankind with ridge systems, Teaching that you can use new tools for beautiful art. And the free spread of information.
>>
>>50327632
Actually in the interest of continuing the line of thought, I decided the Technocracy did not take a stance in the 2016 election because it hated both the candidates. Trump for opposing their agenda of globalisation and Hillary because George Soros is a Nephandi who serves Moloch
>>
>>50327333
>needs a term to describe the aesthetic of '90s punk sci fi hacker culture

>comes up with "Shadowrun"

Nothing you say will ever be of any value.
>>
>>50327632
Oh Anon, you poor poor fool.

The only difference between those "white nationalist" and the evil corps is power and money.
>>
>>50327566
You lack imagination.
>>
>>50327724
And I have the Technocracy to blame for that!
>>
>>50327659
Nah mate. Hillary was suppose to be the stable candidate as according to the program. A Trump win was pure desperation from the opposition. The Techs didn't take the move seriously because they didn't think a hollywood TVStar with soo much bagage would actually win and now are paying for it. It's Ronald Reagan but now its against the Techs
>>
>>50327731
>blaming all lifes problems on a single entity

Thats just sloppy story telling right there
>>
>>50327739
Eh, I support Trump but I thought making my politics into a metaplot detail would be stupid. As though to say "Haha see even the Technocracy hates him, he must be great!"

Nah. Technocracy is cool and sleek and doesn't need me marring them with US politics.
>>
>>50327546
>Now it means pissing in the tea of the PC morality police.
I disagree. If anything, complaining about the "PC morality police" is mainstream. People rarely get called out, and when they do, there's a backlash. The most watched news network fronts anchors who always complain about the PC police, and we literally elected the candidate of choice for white nationalists and MRAs alike.

>>50327548
"Modern occultists" are nutjobs, and certainly not sensible people. Whether Theosophy lead to Nazis or not (and frankly it didn't, really, even if Hunter does take that route), it's not like Awakening takes the real world concepts of Theosophy or Gnosticism. That's why I like it, it creates it's own setting instead of trying to kitchen sink historical concepts.

>>50327566
The Seers aren't punchclock villains, though. The entire Iron Pyramid sort of prevents them from simply being punchclock villains, though some Seers undoubtedly try. They're a complex faction.

>>50327643
We've literally had this argument before. The fact that we can even have an Edward Snowden is a reason to not see Technology as this omnipotent thing. We're out of the "Technology is a tool of THE MAN" stage and into the stage where Technology--by which I primarily mean information technology--is a force for good that allows far more people to speak and be heard than ever before. The internet has given a voice to the voiceless, even as people spy on their own people.
The Technocracy is strong, but if anything, the Virtual Adepts are just as strong.

>>50327659
>>50327632
>>50327739
Right wing nutjobs love their Soros conspiracies. He's not even close to the Kochs, and frankly he's just a rich liberal who realizes that right wing dogma is bad for capitalism that doesn't turn into ANCAPISTAN™ neofeudalism.

Also, what makes you assume that Trump and Hillary weren't both pawns of the Technocracy? I mean, Trump seems like a pawn of the $yndicate. Though Hillary is also corporatist.
>>
File: CitI2IKUoAEHEnn.jpg (23KB, 254x278px) Image search: [Google]
CitI2IKUoAEHEnn.jpg
23KB, 254x278px
>>50327767
(((Technocracy)))
>>
>>50327566
>The thing that gets me about is the Seers is they're much less morally grey then the Technocracy.

As has been repeatedly discussed by DaveB and other current and former WW/OPP developers and authors, the Technocracy was never designed or intended to be morally gray in the slightest. However, the fans were apparently too "stupid" to understand, and eventually WW had to acquiesce to fan expectations.
>>
File: Mage.png (390KB, 483x658px) Image search: [Google]
Mage.png
390KB, 483x658px
>>50327773
I can't respond to any of that without making the conversation political, which is bad form since I only included a Trump reference in my campaign for the sake of being topical. Instead, here's some classic Mage: Dark Ages art.
>>
>>50327802
I think the problem isn't that the Technocracy was gray as such--it was clearly evil and strangling the world's potential. It's just that Ascension was crappily written.
>>
>>50327693
Fucking thank you. People using shadowrun as some sort of catchall for cyberpunk really grinds my gears. Let's get it straight:

>>cyberpunk = counterculture punk hackers living in a congested, neon-lit city, using their VR goggles to jack in to the net so they can bring down the evil megacorporation

>>shadowrun = counterculture punk hackers living in a congested, neon-lit city, using their VR goggles to jack in to the net so they can bring down the evil megacorporation... plus dragons and elves and fairies and orcs
>>
>>50327834
>>50327802
>Mankind was literally the bitch of whatever Awakened at the time decided reality should be like
>Technocracy comes along and literally invents the modern world out of fiat
>Protects mankind from the supernatural, only reason we didn't all die in the Ravnos incident in 1999

But no they're clearly evil
>>
>>50327768
>>50327808
>I support Trump
Let me guess, because you feel that PC culture is ~out of control~ and you're afraid of multiculturalism?
https://storify.com/djmeph/the-alt-right-hide-their-numbers-b
>>
>>50327773

>The Technocracy is strong, but if anything, the Virtual Adepts are just as strong.
Sorry but no. The VAs have flexibility and adaptability, but they can't actually take on governments or military complexes. They can be movers and shakers in their own ways, but the Techs just have more behind them at the end of the day.

>Trump and Hillary weren't both pawns of the Technocracy
Trump's Campaign was largely based on the disenfranchised working class vote. And he actively campaigned in a such a way to get it. He campaigned on isolationism.
>>
File: XG2bG9L.jpg (167KB, 1024x887px) Image search: [Google]
XG2bG9L.jpg
167KB, 1024x887px
>>50327773
sup fellow normal person
>>
>>50327856
>their continued operation will eventually end with the entire universe grinding to a stop because nothing can change anymore

It's rather like drinking antifreeze when you're thirsty.
>>
>>50327856
This guy gets it.

The Techs didn't create the modern world, they went to humanity and gave it a choice. Reason or Emotion. Which one will decide the laws of physics?

Humanity choose reason. Experimentation Science, self affirming Sciences. And Now the Techs are as much shackled to normies paradigm as the traditions. The only difference is that they know how to work it better
>>
>>50327881
At least your theoretical daughter wouldn't be eaten by dragons
>>
>>50327935
Well, as I said, Ascension's terribly written anyway. Apocalypse is where it's at for oWoD.
>>
>>50327935
This. The Technocracy isn't evil, its just blind to the inevitable result of their program.

But to be fair, the other guy could literally get you thrown into hell or eaten.
>>
File: externallScreaming.gif (866KB, 200x242px) Image search: [Google]
externallScreaming.gif
866KB, 200x242px
>>50327949
>Apocalypse

Same problem as ascension Anon. They still paint Technology and modern man as evil and dumb.
>>
>>50327969
Except it's completely different, because technology isn't inherently evil so much as frequently misused, and, well, modern man is pretty evil and dumb (not that less-modern man was less so, but still).
>>
>>50327773
>"Modern occultists" are nutjobs, and certainly not sensible people.
You have forgotten who you are, and where you post.

You can't help being mad. We're all mad here.
>>
>>50327856
See, this is what I keep saying. It was part of the 90s zeitgeist of "technology is Big Brother and will keep us down!" but it's 2016 and we've gone through a whole hell of a lot of shit since the 90s, like technology revealing corruption, helping topple governments, coordinating with people across the world, *communicating* with people across the world, and giving voices to minorities.

>>50327840
Shadowrun is cooler, though Too bad the metaplot is shit and the setting is so anti-prosthetic

>>50327865
Trump got a higher percentage of the working class than normal, but he only took 41% of voters under with income $30,000 and 42% between $30,000 and $49,999. Hillary took 53% and 51% respectively. So he was more appealing than usual for a Republican, but it was far from the "all the poor people believe Trump can change things". 52% of voters who went Clinton cited their primary concern as the economy, while only 42% of Trump voters said the same.
In fact, it was Immigration and Terrorism that primarily appealed to Trump voters as their most important issue. Though 79% of Trump voters did think the economy is "poor".

Ironically, when asked "Do you believe Trump is honest", 21% of people said "no" voted for him anyway.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html

I feel like they could have asked more about social policy. Those would have been more interesting results.

>>50327881
The notion that the Technocracy would keep going until everything was stagnant and literally still is ridiculous.
>>
>>50327987
Modern man literally kills less than at any point in history, provides more rights to more people than any point in history, and even cares about the environment more than any point in history (although that might be too little too late).
>>
>>50327987
Man was always blind and greedy. They don't get to see the metaphysical concepts of their actions taking form.

Werewolves likewise, are blinded by pride just replace the greed with rage.
>>
>>50327773
>The fact that we can even have an Edward Snowden is a reason to not see Technology as this omnipotent thing.
Snowden is on the run, you goob. Britain just passed laws that allow them unfettered access to the data of private citizens, and even North Korea hasn't gone as far. Snowden's mere existence doesn't somehow magick away the "ring of steel" that wraps the UK in more cameras than any other country on earth. Whistleblowers are thrown in deep dark holes and threatened with military tribunals. There were Americans who wanted Assange executed for crimes against the state! Your wishful thinking doesn't unwind the massive surveillance apparatus of western civilization, it only exposes the true danger - you have been locked in a cage for so long you no longer see the fucking bars.
>>
>>50328018
>The notion that the Technocracy would keep going until everything was stagnant and literally still is ridiculous.

This is why I personally have it that most of the really nasty shit the Technocracy gets up to (not ALL of it, mind, but a really damn big portion) is because of a bunch of Nephandi douchebags infecting it.
>>
>>50328030
Sadly, it's all too little too late at this point: humanity's evil has fed the Wyrm so much and for so long that the Apocalypse is coming because the Wyrm's powerful enough for it.
>>
>>50327802
>invented electricity
>vaccines
>antibiotics
>saved literally billions of lives
>pushed back the darkness
>removed all dragons, manticores and other creatures blatantly preying on man
>stopped cults and power-obsessed archmages from causing untold suffering through infighting and magick wars

However could we, the poor "stupid" fans, have ever drawn that conclusion?

Please stop apologising for ineptitude and game dev tantrums. We will play their fucking games how we choose, because we are paying. They will take our money and shut the fuck up, because they're getting paid.

It's not hard.
>>
>>50311004
OWoD Diehard here.
That sounds gay as shit. I think I'll stick to my setting-appropriate children of Luna.
>>
>>50328065
Not according to W20. Pheonix has revealed a new part to the Prophecy - there is a way through, and still yet reason to fight.
>>
>>50328155
Well, yeah. Just because the Apocalypse is coming doesn't mean it can't be won. It's a war, not a bang/whimper.
>>
>>50328144
*standing applause*

Thank you for saying out loud what so many of us thought when we saw that poxy Forsaken book....
>>
>>50328018
Non the less Trump received the non college educated vote hands down. And his campaign rhetoric appealed to a very angry voterbase. Not to mention the amount of propaganda produced in favor of Trump and Against Clinton. Didn't exactly help the election go down well.
>>
>>50328044
I'm aware. As last time, I feel like you're missing the point. The point being that technology has allowed people to do things they never would have been able to, like criticize the government and reveal their surveillance of private citizens. We're able to do that, just like we're able to communicate, and just as minorities have a voice. Maybe it's just because I happen to be a minority, and someone who keeps up with politics, but I find it hard to see technology as a negative thing when without it I have no doubt that queer acceptance wouldn't be where it is today. Transgender people especially owe a massive debt to the freedom and information that the internet provides.
There's a reason that leftist socialist groups see the internet as being so wonderful and magical in spite of all the horrible shit on it and the way that people are assholes. I cannot restate this enough: Technology gives a voice to the voiceless. Technology has elevated the world. More people than ever live above the poverty line. More people than ever have access to clean water, and basic medical care. We are over seven billion people by virtue of technology allowing more people to be fed and more people to be kept from death due to disease.
Yes, technology can be big and scary and woo spooky internet surveillance, but it is also one of the most powerful forces for positive change that history has ever seen. Even if you deny that.

Also, the whole "Britain has more security cameras than anywhere else, Big Brother, Big Brother!" thing is not necessarily untrue, but it's also blown out of proportion. Most of those are *private* security cameras.

>>50328107
Frankly the use of "Technocrats" as the villains for the magical game felt wrong to begin with. There's a reason the seers work better, and that's because they're not tied to technology.
Hell, individual groups within the Technocracy work great.
>>
>>50328173
>crickets
>implying everyone being you
>>
File: RandomEncounter.jpg (34KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
RandomEncounter.jpg
34KB, 500x338px
>Leviathan: The Tempest
>Playing elder ones

How does tg/ feel about Leviathan?
>>
>>50328144
>Setting-appropriate children of Luna
But they're children of Gaia, aren't they? And Forsaken even handles the shamanistic aspects better, since spirits are a meaningful part of them, instead of just feeling tacked on and ignorable.

>>50328176
Actually, a surprising amount of Trump voters *were* college educated, albeit the highest for Trump was "SOME college education", while the highest for Clinton was post-graduate. 67% of Trump voters responded as "White with no college degree".
Of course, anyone who's not white or straight voted Hillary or didn't vote, for the obvious reason of Trump being bad for them. I mean, his potential first action--aside from appointing a creationist who believes gays should be arrested, fuck Lawrence v. Texas to the Supreme Court--is to push forward the First Amendment Defense Act, which is a "discriminate against the gays" bill.

>>50328250
There are literally two fangames worth talking about: Princess and Genius.
So if you want a fan game that's actually a finished product capable of being played reasonably, you want either the game where you play grimdark magical girls, or a hate-letter to Awakening.

I will admit, though, that I don't know much about Leviathan, but then again there isn't much from what I hear. On top of being a bland premise, you've also got seven forms to juggle (Werewolf's five was too simple, I guess) and from someone who made an F-list character in the system: "It's only good for M-preg fetish".

Frankly just play Beast and get yourself a cult if you want to be Cthulhu.
>>
>>50328204
>cicadas
>pretending you speak for every player on the planet

keep chasing the dream, kid
>>
File: grin.gif (2MB, 294x210px) Image search: [Google]
grin.gif
2MB, 294x210px
>>50328348
>Greentexts
>Hating things people like
>>
>>50328186
You are now confusing the tool with the master that uses it. Fire can be used to benefit or harm. Fire itself is neutral. Just because you can hold virtual hands and form a rainbow coalition with queers from queens to queensland, does not change the very real threat of the rise of the surveillance state, or the classic problem, Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
>>
>>50328337
>Forsaken even handles the shamanistic aspects better, since spirits are a meaningful part of them, instead of just feeling tacked on and ignorable.

I like how you think you can compare the two when you've clearly never even looked at the Apocalypse sourcebook. Good job.
>>
File: 1343607698165.jpg (37KB, 450x331px) Image search: [Google]
1343607698165.jpg
37KB, 450x331px
>>50328384
>Basic observation
>Pretending Forsaken ever sold as well as Apocalypse
>>
>>50328186
>Also, the whole "Britain has more security cameras than anywhere else, Big Brother, Big Brother!" thing is not necessarily untrue, but it's also blown out of proportion.

I could almost laugh at how wrong you are, if it wasn't so dangerously naive.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/12/snowden-state-surveillance-britain-no-limits
>>
File: 1326993318.gif (3KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
1326993318.gif
3KB, 100x100px
>>50328186
>There's a reason the seers work better,

They're such 2-dimensional asshats that the players don't feel bad exterminating them?
>>
File: ExplainMe.jpg (150KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
ExplainMe.jpg
150KB, 720x540px
>>50328435
>Comparing twenty year run to ten year run
>False conclusions
>>
>>50328463
What players did you have? I haven't seen a single player so much as hesitate shooting MIBs
>>
>>50328408
If you could provide more evidence than your own words, That'd be great.
>>
File: 1337747818839.jpg (83KB, 960x488px) Image search: [Google]
1337747818839.jpg
83KB, 960x488px
>>50328467
>Pretending killing the Golden Goose of the Old World and launching the utterly shit-tastic Requiem 1e, messy Awakening 1e and overwhelmingly underwhelming Forsaken 1e didn't kill the company
>Pretending games stores even stocked these books after WW was perceived as committing "financial suicide"
>>
>>50328337

>implying any fangame that isn't the Beast Wars one is worth discussion
>>
File: ExplainMe2.jpg (319KB, 960x638px) Image search: [Google]
ExplainMe2.jpg
319KB, 960x638px
>>50328504
>Longer greentexts
>Still proves nothing
>>
>>50328490
If you could crack open a sourcebook, you wouldn't need it spoonfed to you wike a widdle baby.
>>
>>50328391
Are you implying we could have had civilization without fire? Just because it can burn doesn't mean that we didn't grow as a species due to the ability to purify our food and defend ourselves from the freezing cold and ward off predators undeterred by pointy sticks.

>Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Except isn't that kind of my point? "We couldn't have had people like Snowden before now"?

>>50328455
Nothing there was about the depiction of the UK as being covered in security cameras. I'm not saying there isn't surveillance, I'm just saying "look at all the cameras!" is a misdirection at best. Although I can't find an article on that and I'm frankly too tired to bother. I mean, yes, Big Brother is watching. But Big Brother isn't that camera outside the corner store that the grumpy owner uses to watch for immigrants.

>>50328463
The Seers literally have more dimension than "oh, shit, people like our one dimensional bad guys, we better make them good".

>>50328408
I've read enough of the corebook and Tribebook: Glasswalkers to start playing. I didn't like what I read. There's not really much in the way of shamanistic focus. Not like Forsaken (2e). Maybe you've never read Forsaken, though.
>>
>>50328504

>rapidly declining book sales
>Golden Goose

They could barely get their shit together to license their IP.
>>
File: u a whore.jpg (35KB, 480x481px) Image search: [Google]
u a whore.jpg
35KB, 480x481px
>>50328522
>Greentexts also
>Blind as well as clinically retarded
>>
>>50328524
I've read the corebook. I don't see it. Either give me a well reasoned argument or go somewhere else to complain that no one is interested in Apocalypse.

>>50328504
>Killed the company
You mean the company that went for five more years? The one that if I recall got a boost from switching to nWoD, because oWoD wasn't selling well?
>>
>>50328529
>I've read enough of the corebook and Tribebook: Glasswalkers to start playing.

Ok, so "enough" of the sourcebook (i.e. dice mechanics) and the one tribe with the least grip on the natural world of spirits? Fuckin' golf clap. Read the St Johns First Aid Manual and launch a career in Oncology sometime.
>>
>>50328567
If the corebook doesn't sell the setting, it's not worth a damn.
>>
>>50328597
>>
>>50328567
>Ok, so "enough" of the sourcebook (i.e. dice mechanics)
>Dice mechanics are the only thing you need to play
>Only learning mechanics
>in a setting heavy game
If you believe that's what "enough" of a book to play is, I hate you.
>>
File: salt.jpg (68KB, 600x417px) Image search: [Google]
salt.jpg
68KB, 600x417px
>>50328538
>attacking Anon and Not message
>pic related
>>
>>50328547
Are you this dense? There was an entire sourcebook called Umbra the Velvet Shadow that focused on the relationship between changing breeds who are literally described in the sourcebook you allegedly "read" as half-spirit, and the spirit world. The sourcebook you "read" contains an entire chapter discussing the heirachy and nature of spirits. The "mana meter" of Gnosis was fuelled entirely by spiritual activity. The traits of Rage and Gnosis were shared between spirits and the changing breeds alike. Every magical item functioned because a spirit was bound into it. Travelling through the spirit world was the major method of global travel in both crunch and fluff in the book you "read". The storytelling chapter emphasised stories that dealt with both the physical world and spiritual world, and the idea that a problem could often be tackled in either. Consistent artwork in the sourcebook you "read" showed the spirit world wrapped in spider webs. The strongest manifestations of the Wyrm and Weaver were spiritual in nature. Wyrm taint is a spiritual sickness. Being able to transform is not genetic, it's a spiritual trait. One of the Auspices, the Theurge, exists entirely as a shaman dealing with... um... gee, what was it... dealing with... oh yeah, SPIRITS.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>50328600
If you don't even bother to read it properly, it wouldn't sell water during the great fire of london.
>>
File: DrunkenSquirel.jpg (51KB, 533x720px) Image search: [Google]
DrunkenSquirel.jpg
51KB, 533x720px
>>50328668
>>50328567
>>50328615

The FACT that people have to going hunting for Shamanistic Rules kinds of proves his point
>>
File: amused spiderman.jpg (11KB, 640x379px) Image search: [Google]
amused spiderman.jpg
11KB, 640x379px
>>50328644
>unable to comprehend reading
>>
>>50328688
>The FACT that people have to going hunting for Shamanistic Rules kinds of proves his point
All it proves is the nigga doesn't know what an Index is for.
>>
File: Internet_b6df65_1012659.jpg (62KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Internet_b6df65_1012659.jpg
62KB, 500x375px
>>50328707
>Broken convention Multiple times
>A lesser Wit
>>
>>50328688
My point is less that you have to hunt for it and more that it doesn't feel well integrated. Like, in Forsaken the entire conflict is all about the spirit world and people complained that it was "spirit border patrol".

In Apocalypse, the primary conflict is about spiritual corruption, sure, and all your powers are spiritual, but what is it that you're doing? You're usually raiding Pentex or fighting hideous Fomori freaks. Spirits are sometimes useful allies and things you have to deal with, but primarily they're a thing that just exists. Forsaken may lay it on thick with the fake Sumerian sometimes, but especially in 2e, there's a big focus on the Spirit and being half-spirit and dealing with that. Harmony is all about it, and every Tribe except the Iron Masters is going to be involved in directly dealing with Spirit related matters.

>>50328718
I feel like you're missing the fucking point, so frankly I'm not going to bother.
>>
File: 1303769950892.png (70KB, 534x443px) Image search: [Google]
1303769950892.png
70KB, 534x443px
So in my game of Vampire we recently encountered Werewolves. While we all agreed that any sort of interaction with them was a terrible idea, the thought came to us as to how both of our worlds would interact. Could a werewolf Thrall happen? Would the werewolf be able to gain disciplines? Would feeding off a werewolf get you anything special? I skimmed through both books for any mention of this and the best I could find was "werewolf blood is more potent" with regards to feeding
>>
>>50328847
WoD or CoD?
>>
>>50328961
World of Darkness
>>
>>50328337
>But they're children of Gaia, aren't they?
Brother, all things on earth are children into Gaia, but some things on earth are tainted and twisted, servants of a mad Wyrm that wishes to see all reality consumed in hate and balefire. Without the proud children of Luna (and the Other FERA that the Garou didn't exterminate for "reasons") this world would have already been consumed. However, that does not make the corrupted any less of Gaia's children, and she would gladly accept them to her bosom if they would only forsake their destructive path.

Also, As far as Shamanism goes, the Umbra is OWOD is 5 times more dynamic and detailed, without the constraints of earthbound or geocentric structures. The spirits are not only the most important thing to most of the Garou for religious reasons, but most of the Garou's power is drawn from the gifts these spirits loyal to Gaia/Luna/Wyld/Coyote/PrettyMuchEveryoneThatIsntWyrm Give them.
>>
>>50329179
I'm aware of how Gifts work, although I much prefer the Shadow to the Umbra. CofD has more separate realities, so it can put all the ridiculous bullshit in other places I don't care about, like the Astral.

My point is not "spirits don't exist in oWoD", it's that Forsaken handles it much better, and makes it much more of a core part of the setting and conflicts as opposed to it just being "the stakes" and "the source of powers".
>>
>>50328847
>Could a werewolf Thrall happen?

Player's guide says it's possible, but difficult, since werewolves are allergic to vamp blood.

>Would the werewolf be able to gain disciplines?

Yeah. They can be vampires, too, thought it's also really rare. They're called Abominations.

>Would feeding off a werewolf get you anything special?

Yeah, each blood point counts as more than one, and it makes you more susceptible to frenzy.
>>
>>50325935
Just let the combatants beat up important people.
>>
>>50327802
>As has been repeatedly discussed by DaveB and other current and former WW/OPP developers and authors, the Technocracy was never designed or intended to be morally gray in the slightest. However, the fans were apparently too "stupid" to understand, and eventually WW had to acquiesce to fan expectations.

Translation: ww/opp is pretty dumb and everything good they make is purely by accident.
Thread posts: 360
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.