[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Kobolds edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 409
Thread images: 39

File: 1472353533284.jpg (218KB, 1000x790px) Image search: [Google]
1472353533284.jpg
218KB, 1000x790px
Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previously on /5eg/... >>50240764

What campaign settings do you want published for 5e?
>>
>>50254909
fuck, forgot to change the old thread >>50247945
>>
>>50254909
>What campaign settings do you want published for 5e?
mine
>>
File: spelljammer1.jpg (120KB, 972x491px) Image search: [Google]
spelljammer1.jpg
120KB, 972x491px
>>50254909
fuckin
SPELLJAMMER
>>
>>50254928
You had ONE JOB, OP!
>>
>>50254905
>It sticks to the original crit scaling on the champion
Yeah, but everyone else is weaker

>>50254965
Sorry T-T
>>
>What is the strongest monster in the Manual?
I mean MM
>>
Thoughts? Tried to make a playable race from one of the new volo monsters.
>>
>>50254909
Actual campaign settings. That Sword Coast supplement was a step in the right direction, but goddamn was it a slim product.
Go to back to the heyday of the 2e supplements please.

Planescape, Eberron, the Hollow World, Greyhawk, Dark Sun, even Dragonlance. Fix Spelljammer and its retardedness.
>>
>>50254957
>Spelljammer
Good pick, not my first pick, but it is my second pick.

Planescape

Secondarily, that one mentioned a couple threads back with the underdark gurrenn lagann planet and common interplanetary travel.
>>
>>50254926
>>50254946
I didn't like it because especially for wizards taking the average gives you a very high chance of having better HP than not taking averages.

Give half hp, half an HP counts as a full HP until another level up.

It's easier to just allow it by the book, though.
>>
>>50254978
Kobolds.

Fucking everywhere, ruins action economy.
>>
Anybody know where I can find lots of good monster stat blocks for imaginative creatures? I'm not very creative and looking to throw things at my players that aren't from the monster manual.
>>
>>50254974
Then do 18-20 crit baseline and everybody crits 6% of the time.
So now everybody is actually stronger, and the effects of the champion are made lesser...
..which sucks unless crits are trying to be made less prevalent. If you're doing that, the champion needs some help. Like he crits harder, or something.
>>
>>50254940
Forgotten Realms.
>INB4 SCAG
>No, I want a Campaign Setting. Not just some piddly sword coast digest.

Give me a reason to buy your new product rather than reasons to ignore it and continue to hunt down used 2e and 3e setting guides.

Also, fill in the areas with scant less details, for a value-add for those of us who do have old campaign setting books.
>>
>>50255010
If I nerf crits for everyone else except champion, I'm consequently buffing champion
>>
>>50255008
>>50255008
Tome of beasts
It's not 100% balance but it's got some cool shit, especially if you want anything Fae or desert related. I actually really like it
>>
>>50255008
in the mega trove under kobold press in the third party section there's "the tome of beasts" i've heard good things about it but i haven't had a look myself

worst comes to worst you stick a trait from one monster onto another one, rename it and there you go. Brand new 100% original monster
>>
The new ranger let's you deal 3d6+2d10+1d4+72 damage per turn when multiclassed with bladelock. That's on average 92 damage, not factoring in crits or Ac.

You can choose beast Master to get an extra animal attack, or to get advantage with the help action.
>>
>>50254988
>especially for wizards taking the average gives you a very high chance of having better HP than not taking averages.
I don't even...
What?
Do you understand what average means?
>>
>>50254978

Pound for pound, the Tarrasque has the highest CR.

In practice the Ancient Gold or Red Dragon has the most power, the most ressources, and the most capacities to capitalize on it.
>>50255008

Have you tried Volo's guide?
>>
>>50255040
The 'take the average HP' option instead of rolling for HP is what is being referred to, not the true average.
>>
File: 1475015071804.png (236KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1475015071804.png
236KB, 500x281px
I'm DMing for a group of friends for the first time in a couple hours, and everyone is completely new to d&d. We are doing lost mines of phandelver. Any last minute advice?
>>
>>50254909
Dark Sun. Basically I just want Thri-kreen in official source material so that maybe one day someone will let me play a bug man
>>
>>50255029
So what do you intend to do?
When the champion is built off of critting 10 or 15% of the time, do you intend to make that less often (nerfing them), or what?
>>
>>50254984
Truth. Yeah, frankly this.
>>
>>50255053
>playing published adventures

Neck yourself asap
>>
>>50255053
Try to not kill them with the first ambush.
>>
>>50255008
You could try making your own monsters, just google some obscure folklore to start you off, like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drude
Then follow the procedure in the dungeon masters guide, so maybe the drude would have a way to cause nearby characters to have nightmares which you can treat as mini dungeons, or maybe hit dice heal -1 while resting, put on some cr appropriate attacks, hp and ac and you're golden.
>>
>tfw playing Abjuration Mountain Dwarf Muscle Wizard with 20 HP, Scale Mail, and a Warhammer
It is glorious.
>>
>>50255053
try to allow fun over strict rules, i did this during my first time as DM and it made the whole experience more fun for everyone.

that and read the whole adventure to get a grip of how the story will roughly go
>>
>>50255065
The starter kit is perfectly fine for new players.
>>
File: 1478995038962.gif (198KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1478995038962.gif
198KB, 270x270px
>>50255065
>>
>>50255065
I tried to make my own adventure but it seemed lame and generic.
>>
>>50255037
>The new ranger let's you deal 3d6+2d10+1d4+72 damage per turn when multiclassed with bladelock
What does ranger add to this combination?
>That's on average 92 damage, not factoring in crits or Ac.
Oh, well that's shit. Nevermind.
>>
Is it possible to have mystery and crunch in the same supplement?
>>
>>50255077
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drude

This sounds like an elf version of "dude"

>>50255053

This >>50255091 is good advice
>>
>>50255067
>>50255091
would it be okay to lead them a little bit? since they are new and probably wouldn't think to do perception checks for the ambush. like maybe asking them if they wanted to explore the forest surrounding the trail or something?
>>
>>50255053
Play without being too strict first time, make sure you all understand the basic idea and later sessions you can get more into it (if you're into it)

As far as phandelver mines go, don't worry if they get a bit bored and go off script. It's pretty narrow from what I saw
>>
>>50255065
Its the best thing he can do. Usually the veteran people who "have always made his own campaigns" dont know how to do a game that requires more thought than breathing.
>>
>>50255057
Normal crits are 19-20 (3% chance)
Champ level 3 crits are 17-20 (10% chance)
Level 15 is 16-20 (15%)

I can buff the level 15 to be from 15 to 20. But everyone else already crits less, so by comparison, the champ is buffed.
>>
>>50255134

Give them suggestions/ add a "training encounter" before the real adventure starts
>>
>>50255037
build please?
>>
>>50254983
was Darkvision as prevelant in previous editions as it is in 5e?
>>
>>50255134
i would heavily imply that something would happen if they did go down the trail, something like, "the last goblin sprints off to the side, down a small trail screaming out to something further down" most likely the players will give chase which will give them the chance to learn about traps with a harmless (to hitpoints) rope track
>>
I'm going to be running an introductory session for my third batch of newbies in the last month.

I'm sick as all hell of LMoP, what are some other good beginner/level 1 modules?
>>
>>50255140
Jesus christ what am I. That is is exactly what I said and recognized originally in
>>50254974
I guess we're on the same page then, cool.
>>
>>50255191
Just make your own.
>>
>>50255053
5e is also deliberately built to allow rules interpretations on the fly, with fun overriding everything.
The DMG also spells out for the DM to just go with it and have fun and not be a stickler for the rules.
Just have fun and see where the adventure takes you.
>>
>>50255050
Oh. okay. That makes more sense.

Still it's only 10hp at level 20; Not a huge difference, even for the d6 wizard.

Worst Case Scenario
4*20-20(8 Con)=60HP
vs 3.5*20-20=50HP
+20%HP, yes, but according to DMGp274, expected DPR is ~132, so it'll help you live an extra 7.6% of a round. Whoop dee do. Either way, at level 20, taking average damage from a monster even once will kill you.

Best Case Scenario
7*20+100(20 CON)=240
vs 6.5*20+100(20 CON)=230
An extra 4.35% HP. Insignificant.
>>
>>50255215
I normally make my own adventures for my main groups, but I don't want to come up with a new thing every time I intro a new set of people who tend to have about a 50% "stick with D&D" rate.
>>
>>50255181
well i added it because when i googled frogs i read that they had good night vision. since they seem more active at night. that's why i thought it was a good fit. if there is too much on offer i can remove it though.
>>
>>50255217
>5e is also deliberately built to allow rules interpretations on the fly,
Wait, what does this mean
In what way is 5e particularly built to allow rules interpretations on the fly over any other system?
Maybe vague "rules"? Do people consider that a benefit? To me that just seems like they wanted a thing but then weren't sure how to do it so just said "it's your game, do it how you want, you're not a slave to the rulebook or us, who are we to tell you what is fun ;^)"
Is it the book saying "oh, feel free to change whatever. We won't come to your house and imprison you" - seems like a thing a game shouldn't have to tell you, which is why most likely don't.
>>
>>50255217
i basically made everything up with random, slightly hard but achievable DCs for my players when we were doing LMoP, i accidentally missed a lot of minor story elements and due to a lucky crit the rogue one shot the spider dude final boss, it was a pretty cool moment though.
>drink invisibility potion
>jump over spiderweb
>sneak up behind big bad
>heart on a rapier comes bursting through his chest
rest of the fight was basically cleanup but i'll be damned if it wasn't fun for the players
>>
Alright boyim, I've taken and polished this up a little more since last thread, and unless someone points out something dramatic or presents a really cool idea to improve it, it's done!

>I GIVE YOU

> The 5e Soulknife Class

> Hopefully not shit and maybe final edition
>>
>>50255266

Are you the 4th edition guy?
>>
>>50255137
>Usually the veteran people who "have always made his own campaigns" dont know how to do a game that requires more thought than breathing.
Top Keks.

>>50255065
>Hurr Durr Newbie GMs should homebrew.
Neck yourself ASAP.

>>50255053
>1. Good idea starting with a published adventure. Homebrew campaigns with newbie GMs tend to suck, because they don't know the system; they aren't familiar with GMing, and they don't know what kind of stuff to prep, so they waste a ton of time prepping irrelevant crap and run a shitty campaign.

>2. Don't listen to >>50255065
>Even if you are a competent GM, using a module is great for if you don't have the time to prep a campaign. It's also good for cribbing plot ideas and predesigned monsters/characters/locations, even if you don't use the actual plot.

>3.Until you're confident in the rules, lean towards ruling towards the 'rule of cool'. If you've got the general idea of how something should work, but you're not sure about some detail or another, rule in favor of the players, and tell them you'll look up the rule after the session, for next time. If you don't know a mechanic at all? Probably look it up. But again, rule ambiguity in favor of the players.
>>
>>50255234
Average DPR doesn't consider a bunch of things. The wizard might put disadvantage to hit them, use shield, have portent or simply be out of range of the full brunt of attacks, and so forth.

Wizards are the most susceptible to being downed in one round, and 20% could be what makes them last that extra round.

1d10 and 1d12 I might roll for HP on, but I'd be pretty careful about wizard when it's:
1d6
1: You lose 3 HP
2. You lose 2 HP
3. You lose 1 HP
4. You get average.
5. You gain 1 HP
6. You gain 2 HP.
>>
>>50255008
>know where I can find lots of good monster stat blocks for imaginative creatures?
How about randomly generated creatures?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427046-Random-Monster-Generator-Beta!
>>
>>50254983
Pretty weak desu.
>>
>>50255353
Thank you for the input. I will consider what I should rework to make it a little bit better.
>>
>>50255302
wat? no, because I have no idea who that is and have never discussed 4e in this thread.
>>
>>50255217
>>50255136
>>50255188
>>50255342
thanks for all the advice, you guys have been really helpful. I think I should be set so long as my players don't go completely off the rails of the story.
>>
>>50255181
In 3.x "Darkvision" was fairly common, and "low-light vision" was also common. Elves and fey and most animals got low-light vision. Seeing at the bottom of the ocean or in unlit portions of the underdark was reserved for dwarves & underdark monsters.

Prior to 3.x, it was low-light vision (like animals), and underdark creatures saw using Infravision (Infra-Red) (Like Predator). I frankly kindof liked that better.
>>
>>50255377

Just checking
>>
File: Rübezahl.png (77KB, 464x775px) Image search: [Google]
Rübezahl.png
77KB, 464x775px
>>50255077
I made an example and it's probably bad, this isn't a true Rübezahl based on germanic folklore, it's just based on the picture on the wikipedia article.
>>
>>50255266
You can interpret the rule however you want to and make a decision then and there.
>Is it the book saying "oh, feel free to change whatever. We won't come to your house and imprison you" - seems like a thing a game shouldn't have to tell you, which is why most likely don't.
It actually does this. I forget the specific page though.

Re-read the DMG also, it's actually quite good because it gives inspiration for running adventures, adventure types, what kind of campaign you want to run, how much magic you want in your games, role heavy vs rolelite games and much more.

>>50255289
Nice, this is the way brah.
>>
>>50255297
Not gonna lie, Soulknife sounds like a really flaccid name for the class.

I'd wind up calling myself a psion or a psychic over that.
>>
File: 1473387920650.png (814KB, 818x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1473387920650.png
814KB, 818x1440px
>>50254909
KOBOLDS!
>>
>>50255386
my players went completely off the rails, they got into a fistfight and kidnapped some of the redbrand members, the key is managing to re-rail the story without them knowing.
they kidnapped and tortured the guy for info? his guard friend came along which made him "accidentally" nudge them to the fact that the rest were hiding out in the giant mansion which let them retain their agency as players but also let the story progress
>>
>>50255297
The fractured styles are fairly powerful, especially the second one. With 5e's bounded accuracy, a +1 is pretty significant, especially at low levels.

Mental Utility, RAW, allows you to summon some pretty enormous or expensive items. I think you should specify the object should be lighter than 10 lbs AND cost less than 10 gp. And you can probably remove the specific mention of ladders/ropes, because I believe they already fall under these conditions.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much out of criticisms. Thank you for providing me with hours of entertainment. :)
>>
Speaking of LMoP, I found some people eager to try roleplaying games and we picked the starter kit for training since none of us have actually played before.
I got picked as the DM since I was most familiar with the basic concepts and we rolled characters for the 4 players and played for a few sessions.
But on our next session we got two more players and I didn't have the heart to deny enthusiastic players the opportunity to at least try the game so we have a party of 6 and the adventure is not really designed for a group that big.
I've been throwing a few more monsters on each encounter so they wouldn't just steamroll through everything.
The party consists of two fighters (EK and BM, elf and dwarf), tiefling tome warlock, human dragon-sorcerer, halfling longbow-ranger and a half-elf swashbuckler.
Nobody has any interest in clerics so far so I made healing potions a bit cheaper at the start so they could at least get some hp back.
Any tips on running large groups? And how early do you think they could take on the dragon in the tower?
They are level 3 at the moment and made the wise decision to postpone the dragonslaying for now.
They also seem to enjoy some rng because they asked me to get a fumble chart for rolling 1 on attacks.

It's honestly a pain to keep track of everything and I don't think I'm a very good at this storytelling stuff but I do enjoy designing encounters, characters and places. It's just that when we actually sit down to play my mind easily just blanks and I forget everything I had prepared.
I'm not just a very social person so talking a lot is a bit taxing.
/journal updated
>>
>>50255065
>neck yourself
that's not how that saying is used

Also, LMoP is one of the better adventures I've run, better even than a lot of the stuff I've written.
>>
>>50255386 No worries brah, see here as well >>50255398
>>
>>50255435
if you think it's a bit easy, try maxing out hit dice or adding monsters to specific encounters. o be honest even my 2 player party was having an easy time with the better half of the adventure, even with above average health.
another good tip is to add "pseudo-elite" monsters, a goblin with slightly higher health/AC/damage with a noticeable aesthetic change to the rest of the goblin mooks
>>
>>50255435
A note on running large groups: prompt prompt prompt. Especially in combat, try to move things along as much as possible. When someone make stheir attack, ask them "is ther anyhting else you want to do?" If not, alert eh next palyer that it's their move and the clock is ticking. Tell players to think of their next turn as soon as their current turn ends.

Also what I found *really really* helps eve small groups: appoint a leader! Preferably have the group select someone to be in charge. Ideally a single palyer will step up and that will be that. If multiple people want to be leader, don't force one to step down: alternate between sessions. If no one steps up, roll a die to pick someone, and then rotate leadership clockwise. It's basically a way to prevent hemming and hawing and decision stalemates.
>>
>>50255427
I figured that the +1 would put it on par with choosing the Archery fighting style from the Fighter. What would work better?

Shit, it should be "and". Guess I'll fix that.
>>
>>50255394

I'd allow Investigation to see the fakery too
>>
>>50255386
Almost same story as the other guy who just posted but yeah if they go off track, leave increasingly unsubtle hints (with a hint of tongue in cheek ofc) as to how to get back on track

Letting them spend a bit of time off track murdering some poor old man for little reason is good too though, that's the fun of tabletop RPG.
>>
>>50255426
Are you the first time GM anon or someone else?
>>
>>50255525
someone else
>>
>>50255520
Yeah that'd make sense, i was thinking about lowering their health because their spells are pretty escape oriented.
>>
File: 000126.png (179KB, 427x357px) Image search: [Google]
000126.png
179KB, 427x357px
>>50255398
what, you mean things I can do in literally any system ever made, and how in most games they don't care if you break/change shit? I've seen like one ever that says "don't change stuff without careful thought" and that was like Burning Wheel, and it still says it's fine if you do it, it just might end up not how you expected.

It's just constantly weird that people praise 5e as some paragon of being "modular" or "interpret how you want" when most games ever are literally that and say the GM is the authority of their game, and have been like that.
>>
>>50255555
I'm a big 5e fan and that is absolutely true.
>>
>>50255470
>>50255502
So add squad/pack leaders to enemy groups and encourage players to be more active even when it's not their turn.
I've been asking "anything else?" after people use their action to make sure they are done. Picking a leader for the group sounds smart. The EK has been most active at npc interactions for now so it'll probably be him.
Too bad my npc dialogue is very lacking at the moment. I'm not used to talking even as myself so putting myself into the shoes of another is a bit hard.
Most of the dialogue, if you can even call it that, has been gutted to just "the npcNameHere tells you that there's trouble in place X and urges you to investigate, promising to pay you 100g for the trouble". The players also do very little speaking in character. Hopefully we'll get better at this as time passes.
>>
File: Rübezah revised.png (92KB, 464x904px) Image search: [Google]
Rübezah revised.png
92KB, 464x904px
>>50255548
Here we are, more escape oriented and now i can use it as an attacking monster as well as a monster you can discover.
>>
Here. It's actually done now.

If anyone wants to put it in the trove, feel free.

Enjoy! You guys actually give good feedback, so it's nice to see the end result.
>>
>>50255614
have you playtested this in any way?
>>
>>50255555
The DMG gives different play/campaign/fluff-vs-crunch/etc styles and advises the DM mixes and matches how they want and choose.
>>
>>50255426
>>50255522
I get this if you're First-Time-GM anon, but if you're at all familiar with the system, why not just roll with it?

If I'm not running from a book, I mostly run sandbox games and my plots are all "what happens on such and such timeline if the PC's haven't interfered" and "so and so wants to accomplish x/y/z and has worldview a/b/c, and is willing to resort to d/e/f to make it happen. and situation/location depended random tables of encounters and events and whatnot. So in my game, there's not much rails to go off of."

>>50255386
If you're looking for some DM advice on good linear adventure design (like a module) for later, I'd suggest reading

http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/8122/roleplaying-games/node-based-scenario-design-collectors-edition

For examples of a sandbox (sorry I dont have any articles dissecting such things), I would point you towards oWoD Vampire the Masquerade city books. For the D&D equivalent, I'd point you to the 800 some odd page city super-setting Ptolus: City by the Spire.
>>
>>50255093
Nope. It's shitty, you just don't know quality when you see it.

>>50255100
That's because you are a poor and uncreiative person. That is not my fault, and it does not imply published adventures are worth shite. Another fallacy.
>>
>>50255394
> 98 hp
> CR 4

And people say 5e hp isn't bloated as fuck. Lmao.
>>
>>50255642
See >>50255342, shitlord
>>
>>50255555
Take a look at the DMG first, it's in the trove.
>>
>>50255516
The archery style is considered fairly powerful (if not THE most powerful style), and that's without the burst damage the Soulknife brings to the table.
I'm not really sure what I'd put there instead. It's possible that the increased range is enough.
I am also a tad weary about AoO within a 45-foot range, especially when they can be boosted with a psychic charge.
>>
>>50255446
How IS is used then?

And, your own lack of talent does not imply LMoP is good. Only that you are a shitty DM. Sorry.
>>
>>50255555

While true, it's also true 5e gives some sound advice about how to do it.

Like when they says something like "Halfling rogue using her environment to push an ogre in a fiery pit is awesome, and making up a rule in a spur of the moment to allow it is good, but don't let the players exploit the ruling too much afterward,"
>>
>>50255614
Let's not be too hasty :P
>>50255672

You've got something cool here. Don't rush it.
>>
>>50255661
A new gm is going to be shit anyway. That doesn't mean a published adventure makes him better. If anything it teaches him the same shitty railroad bullshit that permeates those modules.
>>
>>50255659

5e isn't bloated as fuck, when it comes to monsters' HPs.
>>
>>50255659
I think i've kept the CR low enough to make it less of an issue, beyond that damage stacks up suprisingly quickly, wands of magic missle and the ranger archetype hunter end up doing lots of damage, as well as thhe druids 2d10 moon beam tick.
>>
We need more of the Inspired in 5e.

Trust in the Inspired.
>>
Did anyone else not really like the new 5e statblock/monsterblock format but now like it more?
>>
>>50255659
We discussed this yesterday night.

The 5e design has high pc-damage, and low HP, and enemies are the other way around.

This has the side effect of making PvP be very initiative-wins-rocket-tag; and makes it tricky to have allied NPCs who contribute like player characters, who later turn on the PCs and fight them. (You basically want to have 2 different sheets for them).

Wasn't happy to come to that conclusion yesterday, but there it is.

And when have you heard that 5e doesn't have bloated HP? The player HP are about as bloated as 3.x. The monster HP much much more so.
>>
>>50255704
Also the second version i made has less health, i think most monsters in the manual and don't have the standard cr 4 stats given in the creating your own monster section, they balance it out, my advice to the guy was to find a folklore creature, gamify it's affects and then fill in the blanks using the guide.
>>
How would you guys RP a protector Aasimar?
>>
>>50255704

Or just your typical fighter.

>>50255611

Better, for the HPs at least.

Sorry, I'd be more helpful if I could, but right now I'm dead tired
>>
>>50255726
I still don't much care for it.

Still prefer both the PF and 4e statblocks.

I understand bringing attributes up closer to the top, where they're rolled directly for much more stuff now.
>>
>>50255738
No problem mate, cheers for the suggestions :)
>>
>>
>>50255674
I'm competent at designing adventures. If you think LMoP is anything less than great for BEGINNER players you're hopelessly out of touch.

It's challenging but not too much. There are lots of different ways of doing things while retaining an overarching goal.

You're no better than people who immediately shit on homebrew out of hand, and your cunty attitude only enforces my opinion that you're likely a shit person to have at the table.
>>
>>50255703
Except it is. It's inherent design lacks interest because all the he abilities are reduced to different kinds of damage (such as mind foster psychic blast just dealing psychic damage because being stunned triggers 5e fucks) so the only way it can Cretaceous challenge or interest is by stacking on the hit dice. The result is bland monsters who minus heir names and damage types are effectively the same fucking thing.

All for the sake of "fun", which to 5e players means hug box becuase if jessie loses a turn she might get sad and not play anymore.
>>
>>50255672
You only get one charge between short rests until level 5, so that's only 1d6 damage over the course of a fight. Plus, giving up your only reaction really hurts due to all of the Blade Techniques that rely on using a reaction for defense.

The range only sets it to near-longbow status, with half the damage. Most fights, at least in my experience, don't ever involve ranges of greater than 60-80 feet, so providing something for people who don't take the stronger close-range option was my priority.
>>
Add this to the trove.
>>
>>50255730

>
This has the side effect of making PvP be very initiative-wins-rocket-tag; and makes it tricky to have allied NPCs who contribute like player characters, who later turn on the PCs and fight them. (You basically want to have 2 different sheets for them).

Why not use them like allied PCs controlled by the DMs, and if they turn on the PCs they have the good sense of not trying to take a whole group of PCs by themselves?

>And when have you heard that 5e doesn't have bloated HP? The player HP are about as bloated as 3.x. The monster HP much much more so.

That's not true.

The HPs might seem similar, but the way the damages are taken are way different.

It'd be bloated if it used 3.X rules, but 5e use other standards.
>>
>>50255746
4e was the best for me,5e is pretty good, but 3.pf was just awful for stat blocks.
>>
What kind of allies would a powerful frost giant have, that aren't giants themselves?
>>
>>50255798
And this.
>>
>>50255774
When did I even mention homebrew? And I'm sure the adventure is plenty challenging. But it's still the same retarded CYOA shit covered up with pretty art and nice interior design. Like all published adventures. Sorry. Only a child with no free will to speak of would enjoy a published adventure.
>>
>>50255782

Are you the 4th edition guy?

Also, status effects are a thing, dude, and many abilities can do things like stun or other states.

>All for the sake of "fun", which to 5e players means hug box becuase if jessie loses a turn she might get sad and not play anymore.

If you hate 5e this much, maybe you shouldn't be in the 5e thread
>>
>>50255803
Agreed. i love 3.5 but the stat blocks fucking suck. I had to design my own for our 3.5 DM because he wanted to convert our 4e campaign to 3.5 then realized he was not willing to put in the work to learn 3.5 so we had to basically develop half the encounters for him.
>>
someone who is more creative than me should make a comparison of all types of stat blocks. it would be interesting to see how they changed throughout the editions
>>
Man, the moment you move double or more the speed of a normal human (30 ft), long distance jump and high distance jump rules are seriously wrong.
>>
>>50255815
Not running published implies running homebrew. Either that, or you don't actually play the game at all which is what I'm starting to think.
>inb4 taking the bait
I've got nothing better to do on my bus ride home.
>>
Moon Druid is the best!
>>
>>50255815
Unless you're running some insane simulation of a fictional world you're going to be subject to quests that have tangible sucesses and failures, what limits you in a published adventure? It's just a series of plot points that may or may not happen as written and dungeons.
>>
>>50255831
Maybe you should kill yourself like I originally suggested.

Mind falters lost mind blast because it was "too Op" and would hurt players fee fees so they had to double its fucking hit points to make it a challenge. That's a PRIME example of the shit I am tasking about. Mearls can't design for shit so he just stacks in the hit dice and creates an empty, neutered game. Which is sad because 5e is still pretty good. It's just prevented form being great by the developers autism.
>>
> DM want to use lingering injury and massive damage optional rule in a one-shotted adventure

He's up to something isn't he?
>>
>>50254909
I want eberron and I want it done right. Best setting, better than greyhawk and forgotten realms
>>
>>50255555

Just remember that any praise any D&D product gets must be viewed through the lens of it being D&D.

I.E. within the context of being the only game that all your friends/random LFGS group will play as more than a one shot.
>>
>>50255850
homebrew is the majority of campaigns you fucking twat. It's called, being creative and the actual point of the game. You just use 50 dollar books because you can't invent your own game. And you railroad your players to punish them. You are a shitty DM, your kind are a dime a dozen. You're not a dungeon master, you are a commentator for a Choose Your Own adventure book.
>>
>>50255831
>>50255880
Nah, he sounds like a disgruntled /pfg/ guy. The 4e peeps are actually cool and not impotently wrathful because of their liking of a failure of a system.
>>
>>50247899
So you can TWF melee hand crossbow attack with Sharpshooter bonus.
>>
File: king cat.jpg (38KB, 278x388px) Image search: [Google]
king cat.jpg
38KB, 278x388px
>>50255858
>>50255827
>>50255812
>>50255798
All of these were already in the DMs Guild trove.
>>
>>50255887
If you do 1-shots and they aren't brutal as fuck what are you even doing
>>
>>50255859
>plot points

Please come back when you actually been a DM and not just read shitty blogs about it.

Or maybe you have and you are a shitty DM who railroads veryone

I haven't been a player in 5 yearssince I realized I was the only good DM in a 20 mile radius of my house so I've been exclusively DMing for my group ever since.
>>
>>50255880
Maybe you should try learning English. Your diatribe is mostly incoherent.
>>
>>50255955
Enlighten me, how do you DM.
>>
>>50255923
I don't play pathfinder or 4e as they are both terrible. 5e is mildly decent but is heavily flawed like everything Wizards if the Coast produces .
>>
>>50255930
Didn't think to look there. I was only suggesting them for the main trove because they were endorsed in Dragon+.
>>
>>50255976
Did Wizards murder your entire family?
>>
>>50255972
Maybe I'm typing on my phone so you can fucking deal with it or not talk to me. I don't care which.
>>
>>50255921
>I never said anything about homebrew
>I only heavily and explicitly implied it

Published modules are just homebrew with production value. Have you ever once used an asset or quest created by someone else? If you say no, you're lying to yourself. Sorry.

>implications for miles
You're projecting. Published modules are literally no different than self written modules: if you can't see that, you're just a shitty GM. Sorry.
>>
>>50255930
How are we discerning what gets added to the DM's Guild trove?
>>
>>50255065
>>50255674
>>50255815
>>50255955
>>50255921
I'm actually sort of offended that a member of my own species can be this retarded.
>>
>>50256009
If it's on the DMs Guild and someone contributes it, it gets added.
>>
>>50255840
>>50255803
I hate the 3.5 statblocks. (but not as much as the 3.0 statblocks. PF statblocks on the other hand I like more than the 5e ones, and less than the 4e ones. Statblock formatting is significantly different in all three). 3.0 liked to shove everything into this dense fucking paragraph of variable names and values. 3e ones were poorly organizes and far too often spread over multiple pages.
3.5e ones made it a little more organized but again, spread out like shit.
Pathfinder better organized them and put them in 1-page chunks.
4e organized them even better than that., but kept that "bottom right 1/4 of of a page monster extends to cover 3/4 of the next page" BS that WotC seems to like.

5e still does the shitty "monster starts in the middle of a fucking page and continues onto the next one" bullshit. It's organization is IMO less good than Pathfinder, but better than 3.5.
>>
>>50255921
>being creative is the point of the game
No. Having fun is the point. You can run your speshul OC adventure all you like, but it being "super duper special creative" doesn't make it more fun. Creativity for its own sake is just masturbatory.
>>
>>50255955
Do you improvise and spit just-thought stuff at the table constantly?
If not, you've got "plot points" prepared, if for no other reason than to populate the encounters and dungeons you've set up in advance of a session. Some people plan further ahead. Premade adventures plan far ahead because they package a number of dungeons and encounters with it.
Generally, players are willing to steer themselves towards areas that the DM indicates are prepared, and DMs lead the players to relevant areas. The DM isn't going to prepare a massive undead lair under the local cheese shop and expect the players to figure it out after they get a craving for mozzarella; there will be rumors amongst the townsfolk and clues that lead them there. Part of the usual unspoken agreement is that players and DMs pull a couple of meta strings in order to make the experience smooth. Of course the heroes are going to check out the strange incident in town, they're the heroes, that's what they do. Often they'll be rewarded somehow for it, because that's what heroes get, in the form of the bad guy's loot, aid of townsfolk, the blessing of a clergy or god, etc.
Claiming you have no "plot points" is ridiculous.
>>
>>50256067
>Claiming you have no "plot points" is ridiculous.

Maybe his adventures have no plot
>>
>>50255053
But the published adventures are fun
>>
>>50256079

D20 Post-Modern
>>
>falling for the bait this hard
come on guys

also i just looked up the 4e statblocks, they're slick as fuck, even though i have no idea what a lot of the terms are though
>>
>>50255800
>if they turn on the PCs they have the good sense of not trying to take a whole group of PCs by themselves?
They likely wouldn't. They'd bring their friends to the fight. Or switch sides mid-combat, Gafgarion style. Or pick out a single PC target.

For such purposes, their damage is still really high and their HP really low.

>The HPs might seem similar, but the way the damages are taken are way different.
Maybe we mean different things by bloated? It is measurably true that the numbers scale about the same as in pathfinder. A level 11 character has ~10x the HP of a level 1 character. Hitpoints still quickly climb into the hundreds.

What does damage have to do with that?
>>
>>50256002
>writing modules

Here is where you prove you are retarded, and a bad DM.

Sorry.
>>
>>50255997
That's no excuse you dweeb. Fucking be coherent or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>50256130
I dunno anon, I had no problem following him. Maybe you just lack reading comphrension skills?
>>
>>50256067
I do have plot points, I just don't write them ahead of time because I'm not a railroading fuck. Any GM who railroads should be killed with a 9mm. I am being unironically here. You are holding other people socially hostage and basically entrapping them with the idea of a orleplaying game when in realist you you are inviteigng them to a social gathering where you masturbate into heir faces for four hours. Published adventures are the same ilk.

Fuck you.
>>
When did 5eg become such a cancerous hole of baitmeisters and angst youths? I know it hasn't always been like this. Is it some sort of reverse summer effect, in which new users try to solidify their positions by acting "cool"?

>>50256094
Audible Kek
>>
>>50256100

>Maybe we mean different things by bloated? It is measurably true that the numbers scale about the same as in pathfinder. A level 11 character has ~10x the HP of a level 1 character. Hitpoints still quickly climb into the hundreds.

>What does damage have to do with that?

As I use the word, it's not "bloated" if there is a lot of HPs that go down relatively quickly.

Bloated would be the "Padded Sumo Gameplay", I think it's called, where the whole group has to hit the big foes for ages with scratch damage.
>>
>>50256149
Since Merals designed the game to appeal to autistic Skyrim players the same way 4e appealed to WoW players. So, basically since the beginning.
>>
>>50256148
So you think that if the DM has anything prepared in advance he will surely force the players to go that way and will accept no deviation from the intended path?
You are a fucking idiot.
>>
>>50255815
>All published adventures are garbage.
>I never mentioned homebrewing your own campaigns! When did I ever mention that?
So uh.. If you don't use published adventures, and you don't make them up, where are your setting and characters and plot hooks and encounters and whatnot coming from?
>>
>>50256154

After all, "bloated" implies "too much"

>>50256149

>When did 5eg become such a cancerous hole of baitmeisters and angst youths? I know it hasn't always been like this. Is it some sort of reverse summer effect, in which new users try to solidify their positions by acting "cool"?

Eh, it's one or two trolls.

It wasn't like that a few days ago, when I re-checked those threads after a while.

>Audible Kek

Thanks. Gotta wonder what D20 Post-Modern would be like, though
>>
>>50256162
In what way does 5e appeal to skyrim players more than 3.5 or 4e do?
>>
>>50256142
Samefagging this hard just to save face. Good job. Slow clap.
>>
>>50256148
>I do have plot points, I just don't write them ahead of time
what does this even mean
so you just put them in your head? do they not exist but also exist when they're in your head? does writing them in your text document suddenly change their nature?

maybe people are operating off different ideas of "plot points"
>>
If I get resistance to the same damage type (radiant in this case) from two different things, do I get immunity from it?

undying light aasimar
>>
>>50256202
>Thanks. Gotta wonder what D20 Post-Modern would be like, though
fuck, there was a penny arcade comic about this but i think it's from so long ago that i would have no idea how to find it
>>
>>50256220
are you the 4e guy?
>>
>>50256178
Never saidthat. I said preparing a plot as you suggested and supported is a fucking terrible idea. As are published adventure because they do the same thing inherently.

Now, go kill yourself, because you -apparently need 4 posts saying the same thing to understand a basic concept.
>>
>>50256162
It's only a few trolls trying to stir the pot. 5eg hasn't really has much of the sort, so they're falling for the bait, hard.
>>
File: 1438886323203.png (348KB, 586x586px)
1438886323203.png
348KB, 586x586px
>>50256148
>When you write an idea down, you become worthy of death
What makes it different from keeping the idea in your head? Are you somehow incapable of changing something after writing it, as if the concept has been engraved in stone in your mind? Are you incapable of recording multiple possible outcomes, or writing down something else that happens instead due to players' action?
Because published adventures have accomplished the magic feat of generally having many different routes and outcomes that are both considered and detailed by the module. In the hands of a DM that isn't too absurdly literal to think, an outcome can change and be created if the players do something unaccounted for.
I'm sorry your players are too damaged or pampered to agree to play some of the fantastic modules 5e has put out, just because some shit DM doesn't know how to choose good ones or run them. Maybe if you learned how instead of expressing your desire to kill someone for writing notes you'd improve your craft.
>>
>>50256225
no, two instances of a thing don't give you a better version of the thing, it would be neat but hard to implement (probably not i'm just uncreative as fuck)
>>
>>50256221
Perhaps. But I also don't plan a plot because I'm not a shitty DM. Like you are.
>>
File: 5e troll.jpg (811KB, 2475x3263px) Image search: [Google]
5e troll.jpg
811KB, 2475x3263px
>>50256178
>>50256201

Guys, it's ok, I have the stateblock for this encounter.

So, you haven't rolled high enough to perceive the trick, I'm afraid he gets the Suprise Round.
>>
>>50256239
That was my first post you donut.
And I'm one of those people who like having a loose collection of things to do in a game instead of a story written in stone.
You seem to think somewhat similar to that but come across as a bitter old DM who has had too many "great" stories destroyed by those pesky players to even try anymore.
>>
File: wrong.png (517KB, 553x579px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.png
517KB, 553x579px
>>50256255
>>
>>50256255
>le planning a plot is bad
>le ebin openwork emergent gameplay sandbox is better
You're shit lad, sorry
>>
>>50256226

Was it the Philosophy RPG thing?
>>
>>50256245
> not wanting to follow three variations of the same preplanned plot makes you pampered and entitled.

Nice shaming tactic. You can get the fuck out now, you fucking kike Wizards shill. Your sentries are pure crap and anyone who runs them should kill themselves. People like you are the reason I printed 36 thumbnail pages of gore pictures and put them between the pages of published adventures at my FLGS.
>>
>>50255923
Hey now. I play /pfg/ regularly and I take offense to that comment.

And as we discussed and hashed out yesterday, /pfg/ apparently much better supports certain campaign styles which are very poorly supported in 5e (my preferred campaign styles, unfortunately), despite its steep learning curve.

It being a "failure of a system" is something you more or less only hear people spouting off on /tg/. Yes, it has trap options. Yes, the classes are not equally viable in the same party. Yes, those two shortcomings give it a steep learning curve for newbies. It's still *fun*. it supports the widest wide variety of character concepts (albeit, some of hte more powerful ones outshine some of the more plain ones). It also supports campaign/gameplay styles that are poorly supported in other games, and that massive catalog of compatible settings/monsters/NPCs/adventures counts for a lot.

[Fuck, stop making me solve 5 captchas to post!]
>>
>>50256162
What does this even mean?

>>50256237
4e is good too.
>>
>>50256254
that sucks, guess it's just wasted then
>>
>>50256275
Call me naive but I've never understood trolling. Why would anyone pretend to be a moron just to rile up strangers?
>>
>>50256280
You are a literal retard, none of my stories have been ruined by players because I don't plan a story to begin with, get your head out of your fucking ass.
>>
>>50256311
>pretending
no, anon.
>>
>>50256280
>>50256289
>>50256299

Guys, you gotta stop answering this dude.

He's trying to make you respond, and succeeding.

Water under the bridge. Like the troll.
>>
File: 1474392141880.jpg (179KB, 1192x670px) Image search: [Google]
1474392141880.jpg
179KB, 1192x670px
>>50256303
These tears are delicious, I can taste them through the screen.
We should name him the jester and keep him around. That's how you keep the troublesome goblins from turning into nilbogs, right?
>>
Why is 5eg like this?
>>
>>50256305
Nah, it's because you're more familiar with pfg and apparently didn't want to put in the work for conversions.
>>
>>50256112
>I don't do any campaign planning whatsoever!
>My games lack places, characters, storylines, dialogue, or any meaningful RPG interactions!
>In my games, I just use random combat encounters with no dialogue or story or anything to tie them together!
>Encouraging Roleplaying in an RPG makes you a shitty GM!
>>/warhammer/
>>
>>50256332
But flowing water has a plotted course!
He could never accept living in it's vicinity.
>>
>>50256340
Shit system --------> shitty general
it's a good way to judge which systems are good and which ones are Jewish plots to steal your money.
>>
>>50256332
>like the troll
but if a troll was under a bridge it wouldn't be a problem. what kind of shit analogy is this, this matters greatly to me
>>
>>50256311
> Call me naive but I've never understood trolling. Why would anyone pretend to be a moron just to rile up strangers?

Have you ever had a kid in your classroom who kept calling others names or did something anoying just to get a rise out of people.

Picture this kid. With the guilt-free conscience and consequence-free anonymity Internet offers.
>>
>>50256361
This was good. Topkek. You should seriously be a comedian.
>>
>>50256354
I do prep faggot. I prep the shit you just mentioned except for a plot because prepping a plot is antithesis of what an RPG is about.

Also, "random encounters" are you fucking kdiding? Another example of why DnD is cancer.
>>
>>50256340

People are falling for a troll's bait harder than a Paladin roller-skating on a Grease spell
>>
>>50256306
Same as most of his posts, he just shits over every option, and the only conclusion you can draw is that he's using 5e rules to run wargame matches, or doesn't play anything at all.
>>
>>50256340
some dudes bored and is shitposting

5eg has been worse for the past weekish, /pfg/'s bloated corpse is leaking into /5eg/ and has been for a while
>>
>>50256387
And you should seriously drink bleach. Although, paying 50 bucks for the privleieg of having a poorly written book tell you what to do for 15+ sessions , makes you a good candidate for suicide as well. Maybe you should play something that DOESNt require creativity , like MTG.
>>
>>50256401
No, I'm using 5e to run a rolepalying game, nit a CYOA book, which is what all published adventures are.
>>
>>50256394
You understand that plot points aren't the same as prepping a plot? a plot point would be something like "The dragon destroys something the players like" or "The players fight the dragon" a plot point isn't "The characters will fight a dragon because they destroyed something they like and now they can't do anthing else except fight the dragon"
>>
>>50256418

If he needed to play something that doesn't require creativity, he would play your role.
>>
>>50256154
Ah.

To me bloated just means "too much"

It could be a complaint at padded sumo gameplay, or you could be complaining about the amount of HP growth on a powerful character compared to a starting character.

WoD, for instance, is a game without Bloated HP. In fact, Your HP don't change much at all from chargen to thousands of XP.
>>
>>50256458

>To me bloated just means "too much"

To me too?

I don't think 5e has too much HPs, and PCs certainly don't have too much health
>>
>>50256301
i think so? i vaguely remember it as them meeting groups with slowly deviating from rules. it really annoys me because i remembered it so vividly but i have no idea why
>>
>>50256148
>Writing your ideas down is literally abuse of your players, regardless of what you do with them!
>Entertaining your friends with some vague idea of how you're going to be entertaining is the same as kidnapping!
>You should be killed for it!
>Fuck you!
You should try seeming more like a real person instead of a ridiculous parody. It would make your trolling more believable.
>>
>>50256361
Fucking kekd hard
>>
>>50256418
I found a picture of you.
>>
>>50256439
Yes I understand the difference. And they are still,railroading bullshit.the most you should be prepping are adventure sites and the world,around the PCs. Not a plot you shove down their throat looks published adventures you. But, you have probably been cucked out of free will by published adventures,for,so long you don't even know what real freedom tastes like. Get a real DM,then you an come back here and talk,like you know shit. Until then, you don't know shit. Let me,tell you son, I've been DMing for over twenty years. I know my shit.I've been offered money to DM. and in real life,not on that despair cespit that is Roll20.. So while ethos based,arguments might be bullshit , yo may want to take a step back and consider who the fuck you are talking to and maybe put renditions, your head thAt he knows a FUCKlot more than you do.
>>
>>50256500
Impotently raging or epileptically banging on the keyboard?
>>
>>50256445
Actually he would,play your role.which is of the DM who spends money for the,privilege of tAking a fat shit on player agency. Now go fuck yourself.
>>
>>50255067

Fuck the ambush. Those fucking bugbears, man.
>>
>>50256239
>preparing a plot as you suggested and supported is a fucking terrible idea. As are published adventure because they do the same thing inherently.
What about published sandbox adventures?

Like if they say: "Here's a city. It's a self-enclosed demiplane. Here are 24 factions within the city. This is the territory each one occupies. Here are their major players, and here's what their membership looks like, and a variety of pre-built NPCs that belong to them. Here are the things they are doing right now. Here's how it plays out if the PCs don't interfere.
Here are some plot hooks that will help the PCs learn whats going on around them."

Like oWoD Vampire Adventures. Or Ptolus.
>>
>>50256491
Literally,none of what you said is anything I said or meant. Except,for the last part. You SHOULD kill yourself.
>>
>>50256566
Yes I suppose,those would be more acceptable. That's pretty close to how I do prep.
>>
>>50256566
What if you publish my dick?
>>
Guide me friends.

I have very minimal experience with D&D (only a couple sessions months ago) but a small group of friends with 0 experience want to play and since I'm the only one who has the slightest idea what's going on unless we just happen to run into someone with DMing experience it's up to me.

I've combed through the pastebin and starter guide from the OP and know I'll have to do a lot of reading through the basic and DM rules before much else, and I've heard plenty about adjusting rules to fit the group and making sure to stay open-ended so the players aren't on rails blah blah.

Can I find free adventures anywhere to start from? Is 5e actually the best option for (what I expect to be) relatively casual players? Is there anything I'm completely forgetting about?

Is this already doomed?
>>
Why aren't there more cute races?
>>
>>50256599
They can't find it.
>>
>>50256353
I was suggesting putting in the work for conversions, and the whole /5eg/ at the time more or less told me that attempting it would be a shit show and not worth the effort.

Except one guy who said the opposite, that 5e could handle it great, without any hint of how, when every suggestion anyone else mentioned was shot down as not working, or would require rebalancing the whole system.
>>
>>50256617
Because no race is 100% cute.

There are cute humans, cute elves, cute halflings, etc.

There is no race where every member is a cute.
>>
>>50256618
Sounds about right.
>>
>>50256641
And why not?
>>
>>50256641
What about tabaxi?
>>
>>50256535
How do you prep a world around the players without things like NPC motivations, and what the NPCs are doing before the PCs arrive, etc?

How are those not plot points?
>>
>>50256647
because anything that can afford to be cute 100% of the time would not make for an interesting character, the only RL example i have is a panda, they're 100% cute and i don't think they have any dark secrets, but they're also boring as fuck.
>>
>>50256616
Just download Phandelvin and run it. Me and my group had 0 experience and started there. Was easy to run.
>>
newfag here, will a heavy crossbow war cleric be hilariously useless?
>>
>>50256641
Literally catgirls. Just make them cannon literal anime cat girls.
>>
>>50256685
>Cleric
>ever useless

Clerics are always useful.
>>
>>50256275
Remember when gnolls were the offspring of gnomes and trolls?

That was, indeed, A Thing.
>>
>>50256685
useless, not exactly, less than optimal, probably.

but clerics are hard to play "wrong" so long as you can deliver heals, do a bit of damage, and use your channel divinity noone will ever know
>>
>>50256636
For what you were attempting, it's actually a wiser idea to keep playing in a system that you know better and run a new game in 5e. It's illogical otherwise.

Also, because you were still a newb when it came to 5e. You might want to try a conversion to 5e once you familiarize yourself with the system, but right now it's entirely too premature to attempt something of that complexity
>>
File: il_fullxfull.137661517[1].jpg (525KB, 1500x1095px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.137661517[1].jpg
525KB, 1500x1095px
>>50256535
>laughable lack of social skills.
>constant rage
>death threats
>tells people to anhero constantly
>not that it means anything, but I'm an expert, honest, I know what I'm talking about!
>expecting people to take you seriously while you behave like a spastic twelve year old with behavioral issues, rather than dismissing you as retarded, and more subtly mocking you back for their own amusement

Here you go Mr. Troll. Have some goats(e)
>>
>>50256618
Hahaha.
Rekt, son.
>>
>>50254957
can you tl;dr me about spelljammer? sounds very fun.
>>
anyone play the witch hunter class?
>>
>>50256482
Reread post?

Too much may not mean in terms of HP:Damage Taken. Could also mean too much in terms of Starting HP:Max HP, and wanting a game with a steeper or shallower HP Curve.
>>
>>50256736
We're all ignoring him, brah.
>>
File: tumblr_o7v2v12Qkz1rnfnbto1_1280.png (504KB, 1254x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7v2v12Qkz1rnfnbto1_1280.png
504KB, 1254x1200px
>>50255417
Waifus!
>>
>>50256740
D&D in space, with spaceships, planets rather than generic town #40 and some other shit. i really need to look more into it as well.

2e has a really good sourcebook if you want to read more into it
>>
>>50256305
>[Fuck, stop making me solve 5 captchas to post!]
It tried to stop you. It clearly knows better than you do.
>>
>>50256571
>none of what you said is anything I said or meant.
No no. Pretty sure it is.

>>50256148
Yep. It's all right there.
>>
>>50256586
Well, those are also modules. Examples were given.

So, clearly the thing you hate is not an inherent quality of published modules. Common, perhaps, but not inherent.
>>
File: 1479168585399.jpg (1MB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1479168585399.jpg
1MB, 900x900px
What were you doing when best elf was posted?
>>
>>50256679
Mines of Phandelver? That's the closest thing i found.
>>
>>50255782

D&D and lots of crunchy RPGs are like this. They just hide it in walls of text so it looks fluffier and deeper than it really is and also lets you fudge the spirit of the rules. You can use a bit of otherwise meaningless flavor text to try and fudge with just how that extra d6 does or doesn't apply.

>>50255831

Not that poster, but I can see where he's coming from. 4e dispenses with a lot of the multi-sentence/paragraph long descriptions of abilities and instead went with more complex mechanical representations.

While it did a better job of making the actual mechanics more evocative and nuanced (and had more statuses), the lack of stimulating flavor text led the mind to simply interpret it as a bunch of numbers+push/pull/slide/etc and didn't look at it as something that could be fudged/rationalized/debated in regular language.
>>
>>50256836
That's the one.
>>
>>50255880
>Mind falters lost mind blast because it was "too Op" and would hurt players fee fees so they had to double its fucking hit points to make it a challenge

Assuming you mean mind flayers, no they didn't. They still have mind blast, it still stuns, and they still rip your fucking brain out.
>>
>>50256535
So, I can tell by the way you talk that you're clearly very alt-right.

But I've gotta ask.

Does acting like that ever get anyone to take you seriously? The only outcomes I can imagine it ever eliciting are irrational anger, or being mocked for amusement, or being ignored like you ignore any child acting out.
>>
>>50256766
>fat ass kobold porn
ugh.
>>/d/.
>>
>>50256979
>Talking like that is the alt-right equivalent of the obnoxious fake gay accent. It makes it hard for people to take you seriously and not dismiss you as just being annoying for the sake of being annoying. Except, unlike the fake gay accent, you sound like a mouthy tween in need of a beating.
>>
>>50257049
>you sound like a mouthy tween in need of a beating
That's exactly the sort of edgy bullshit an alt-righter would say.
>>
I can't believe I'm saying this in 5eg, but can you all chill the fuck out and actually go outside for at least once.
>>
>>50256899
Alright, I'll give it a shot. Thanks friend.
>>
>>50255921

I have my own homebrew campaign setting and I still use published material. Mostly with newer players or groups that I don't want to bother trying to bring up to speed on all the details of my homebrew.

When I DM published adventures, I discover new NPCs and plots, have to react to unexpected situations, and have to deal with a world that I don't know 100% inside and out... it's almost like I'm playing as much as the PCs.

And at the end of the day, a good chunk of my homebrew campaign setting is just my favorite stuff pulled from others' published settings (often refluffed).

My homebrew is just one of my favorite settings with all the stuff *I* like in it, but sometimes people want to play something other than what I like.

I mean, if we all only played what we wanted and shunned everything else, a great many of us wouldn't even be playing D&D, would we?
>>
>>50257060
It is, I suppose. But how else do you describe alt-right talk.

>Death threats.
>Tell people to drink bleach and such.
>Flip out and make personal attacks about everything.
>Infer ridiculous extreme meanings from everything anyone says, and ramblingly assemble it incoherently into outrageous conspiracies against you.

>Mouthy tween in need of a beating
Seems a concise way to describe such behavior.
>>
>>50257090
>I mean, if we all only played what we wanted and shunned everything else, a great many of us wouldn't even be playing D&D, would we?
what a positive view you have of DnD. It's true.
>>
>>50256979
>>50257049
>>50257060
>>50257103

>Ooooo conservative boogeyman

Really?
>>
>>50257090
>if we all only played what we wanted and shunned everything else, a great many of us wouldn't even be playing D&D, would we?
I imagine that's true for some. Personally I've played lots of other games, and keep coming back to D&D because I grew dissatisfied with the other games and preferred D&D.
>>
File: zenobia_by_wildweasel339-d875trr.jpg (518KB, 1028x1600px) Image search: [Google]
zenobia_by_wildweasel339-d875trr.jpg
518KB, 1028x1600px
>>50257120

I don't hate the system. It's just not my favorite. But it's the system everyone plays.

Just like if it were up to me, every time we had pizza and ice cream at a party, it'd be supreme pizza + buttered pecan icecream.

But since most everyone eats pepperoni and vanilla (neither of which I DISLIKE) I just realize that in order to have pizza and icecream, I had better get used to eating lots of pepperoni and vanilla. And I'll never say that pepperoni and vanilla icecream suck. I mean, we *could* be eating Hawaiian and cookies and cream (ick).
>>
>>50257160
>alt-right
>conservative boogeyman
Really?

Some of their political views make a lot of sense. I just don't understand the acting like an angry 12 year old, when you're 30; especially when you have strong political opinions and (presumably) want them to be taken seriously.
>>
>>50257200
>pepperoni and vanilla icecream.
Now that, sounds disgusting.

>Hawaiian and cookies and cream
>Pineapple, cookie dough, and chocolate chips, and vanilla, swirled.
That, I wouldn't mind trying.
>>
Moon Druid question.
Female Steeder form + Jump spell = 180ft leap right?
>>
>>50257206

You don't think it's far more likely that a certain group of trolls (I dunno...all of 4chan maybe?) enjoy pushing the buttons of tumblr and reddit rejects? I certainly enjoy pissing off precious little thin-skinned fairies. Confusing that with "those darn conservatives want to genocide the rights of brown people!" is pretty naive thinking. You do realize you should be 18 to use this site, yes?
>>
>>50257229

I meant pepperoni pizza and vanilla ice cream. You have a party with pizza and ice cream and unless you're trying to appeal to everyone's specific tastes, chances are high that these are the defaults.
>>
>>50257240
Out of curiousity, what does it feel like when you successfully piss off people? What do you get out of it, other than wasted time?
>>
One side of this argument needs to shut up and the other side also needs to shut up and go to >>>/pol/

If you wanna argue, bitch about something relevant, like caster-martial balance.
>>
Gimme the name of some typically dwarven taverns, anons.
>>
File: 1477803415018.jpg (105KB, 497x335px) Image search: [Google]
1477803415018.jpg
105KB, 497x335px
>This whole thread
>>
>>50257240
1. >>50257273 This.
2. It could just be trolls, but it seems like everybody I've met, and the one guy I know who is alt-right more than as a passing acquaintence acts like that. And not just on 4chan, but everywhere.

>>50257295
>bitch about something relevant, like caster-martial balance.
I hear that scarcely even exists in 5e.
>>
>>50257312
Martials are actually useful in a fight now, but they're still a wet sack of hammers in every other pillar of the game. Their usefulness in combat is also very unimaginative, and all non-mechanical solutions for that are also available to casters.
>>
what a shitty thread, what went wrong?
>>
>>50257255
Ah. I don't get why we would do that.

Why not just appeal to everyone's specific tastes?

We always do when we get pizza (we never really buy icecream), and we do the same when it comes to RPGs.

Why don't you play a variety of RPGs, so that everyone gets to play what they like?
>>
>>50257297
The Axe and Hammer
Old Stonegrinder
Moradin's Anvil
Gunther's Hearth
>>
>>50257297
The Stout Maiden get it? Because dwarves are short and stouts are beer? Do you get it? Do you get it?
>>
>>50257330
>>50255065 This guy

>>50257326
So... The same as in Pathfinder?
>>
>>50257304
Huh, I've never considered sadism in the context of frustrating people but it makes sense. I've never been able to understand the mindset, so thanks for your answer.
>>
But I prefer pepperoni pizza and vanilla ice cream....
>>
>>50257326
>Pillars
Speaking of:

Why are skills capped to mundane shit, when everything else scales into superpowers?
>>
>>50257366
The real question is why would anyone, when given the option to literally defy the laws of entropy and mass conservation, choose to whack stuff with a pointy metal stick?
>>
>>50257335
>Why not just appeal to everyone's specific tastes?

Generally, when you're buying pizza and ice cream for a party, you're buying it for lots of people to share the same pizza and bucket of ice cream.

Doing otherwise would often require ordering everyone an individual pizza and an individual bucket of ice cream. Why bother at that point? Just have everyone bring their own food so they can just eat what they want.

But that's not how sharing food at parties works.

Sometimes when you do things with other people and not just yourself, you have to compromise.
>>
>>50257335
>Why not just appeal to everyone's specific tastes?
because statistically, everyone will want different things and you can't get pizza and ice cream for everyone, do to money or time or whatever.

i'm assuming his point is that most people won't mind having pepperoni and vanilla, but some people will dislike hawaiian and cookies and cream but there's no money to get them mushroom and corn pizza with green tea ice cream. then replace pizza and ice cream with relevant plot points and developments and money with time. you can't cater perfectly to everyone, but you can get everyone to agree to a less special snowflake campaign.
>>
>>50257297
Here Bee Beer
A Pleasant Buzz
The Honey Trap
The Drunk Bumbler
The Hive
>>
>>50257392

Why would anyone, when given the option to literally take the force of a train slamming into you and shrug it off, choose to be a floppy sack of sticks and skin?
>>
>>50257297
The Dirty Hole
O'Gornok's
Halfaleague House
The Gauntlet and Goblet
>>
>>50257392
>being able to afford wizard school

Get a load of this nerd
>>
>>50257418
>polymorphs into a dinosaur
you were saying?
>>
>>50257440
Just get some student loans or sell your soul to Asmodeus and become a warlock. Actually scratch the first option, student loans are a total scam.
>>
>>50257443

Yeah, I've seen the T-rexes in action before. That 13 AC is not a boon.
>>
>>50257366

Because many people seem to rage really hard when you can do fantastic shit without casting a spell.

The exception to this seems to be in regards to damage. It's okay if your warrior can stab a 50 foot long dragon to death with a dagger, but fuck everything if you wield a sword taller than you, can leap over the dragon's head, or grab it by the tail and swing it around without wiggling your fingers and saying "hocus pocus" first.

Anything a PC can do has to be something an NPC could be equally capable of doing, and since they see NPC Fighters/Rogues and other martials as being a dime a dozen, PC martials must also be limited so we don't have a bunch of mythical heroes running around.
>>
>>50257392
Because martials are physically more attractive than casters.

Charisma doesn't give you a tight ass that gets all the wenches heads a turning.
>>
How are the classes in combat and non-combat?
>>
>>50257418
Or you could, you know, cast Fly over the train or Misty Step or Teleport or Dimension Door or Time Stop or Wind Walk or Jump or Polymorph or melt the damn thing with Fireball.

But hey, enjoy getting slammed by a train.
>>
File: 3i3fYCj.jpg (462KB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
3i3fYCj.jpg
462KB, 1200x1650px
How about instead of this dumb bullshit we talk about how great Volo's Guide to Monsters is?
>>
>>50257480
Well, they're all focused around killing things, so they all handle combat decently.

5e basically has no meaningful rules for non-combat so that doesn't really matter anyway.
>>
>>50257497
hey were did you find that Nilbog Picture.

I love the art in Volo's and want to find all the art I can of it.
>>
I haven't done D&D over the internet before, roll20 is the recommended site to use, right? How exactly do I use it and what does it do?
>>
>>50254957
I agree with this only if they make it into it's own thing, and not just a way to connect campaign worlds. It can be that, but let it be D&D in Space, not another glorified plane of travel.
>>
>>50257529
One of the artists shared some higher-res art he did for it on reddit. https://imgur.com/a/0gs26
>>
>>50257497
nilbog's are the best thing i never knew about, definitely going to apply the template to a few kobolds in my next oneshot

>>50257529
the artist of that and a couple of other pieces posted an album on reddit. here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/0gs26
featuring the beautiful flail snail
>>
>>50257395
>would often require ordering everyone an individual pizza and an individual bucket of ice cream.
Oh. yeah, we always just place the order after people get there, and get people to go in on pizzas they like, and thats what they eat. Often that means we get each pizza half & half. You get to eat your half of a pizza.

>>50257395
>Sometimes when you do things with other people and not just yourself, you have to compromise.
So why not compromise and say: "Okay, we'll play shadowrun AND FFG Star Wars AND rolemaster AND M&M?"
If nobody really wants to play D&D, and it's like a "nobody gets what they want" scenario, why not just divvy up the time among the games you actually want to play, and alternate/carve up a dedicated day or weekend of gaming? It works for us.
>>
>>50257496

Tsk tsk, for shame. You clearly do not understand the joy of tanking.
>>
>>50257427
>>50257402
>>50257341
>>50257336

Thank you very much! The Stout Maiden, at least, will feature in my upcoming campaign, because the idea of a tavern with a busty woman dwarf with a huge beard would be hilarious.
>>
>>50257571
Or I could cast Stoneskin and Mage Armor whenever and Shield when the time comes, but hey enjoy repairing your metal clothes
>>
>>50257589
Hooray! And with that I can sleep off this terrible thread like a bad hangover.
>>
Went do dwarven women have beards? That's fucked up.
>>
>>50257464
>Anything a PC can do has to be something an NPC could be equally capable of doing, and since they see NPC Fighters/Rogues and other martials as being a dime a dozen, PC martials must also be limited so we don't have a bunch of mythical heroes running around.

Oh. I uh. I just have a bunch of mythical heroes running around. The PCs aren't special snowflake champion heroes until they hit like, level 16ish. Before that, they are just another group of disposable treasure hunters and mercenaries for hire. And when that makes people say "then why wouldn't the police or army just take care of it" - they usually do, if they know about it. Why wouldn't they? Often the PCs get in shit for meddling in police investigation. Sometimes they're working for the army as mercs for hire.
>>
How would you make PC martials "extraordinary" like wizards are? Like
>>50257464 said, why are martials limited to mundane physical feats?

Suggestions:
At certain levels martials get access to weapon improvements (or something); eg,
Increasing the damage die, adding DoT/status effects, flat bonuses to damage, damage rerolls, flat boost to AC granted by a shield, etc.
>>
>>50257497
the new playable monsters is quite relivent to my interests, particularly as I dislike half/X
>>
>>50257555
Might as well share the pieces I have found

http://imgur.com/a/5RAiT
>>
>>50257642
i'm fairly sure that in some settings dwarven women are almost indistinguishable from dwarven men, and are basically complete equals because there are very little physiological differences.
>>
I want to make a UA ranger Halfling Wolf rider. What is the best build for this? TWF with hunter's mark seem like the way to go.

Also is it better to increase the Wolf DEX or STR? The trip DC is kinda low but DEX gives me more AC, attack and damage...
>>
>>50257533
Its a virtual battlegrid and dice roller
You can show handouts.
It also has video and voice plugins
There is apparently some kind of optional character sheet integration as well.
>>
>>50256986
you have a hilariously low bar for porn it seems
also the arsist has not made porn of these Kobolds

unfortunatly
>>
>>50257681
If you're not lactose intolerant, double lances with TWF should be your weapons of choice, with a back up longsword in case you get dismounted.
Get enough dex for medium armour, then focus strength, it's worth it for lance shenanigans.

I'd say go dex in the wolf, but that's personal opinion.
>>
>>50257567
>Oh. yeah, we always just place the order after people get there, and get people to go in on pizzas they like, and thats what they eat. Often that means we get each pizza half & half. You get to eat your half of a pizza.

Depending on the size of said party this is doable. Usually doesn't work for larger class parties, office parties, or parties where you don't know everyone.

>>So why not compromise and say: "Okay, we'll play shadowrun AND FFG Star Wars AND rolemaster AND M&M?"

Because I don't like Rolemaster or M&M. And my friend (or the guy who answered my flyer for an RPG game) doesn't particularly like Shadowrun. Really, I'd rather play Tribe 8 or Iron Kingdoms and he'd rather play Dogs in the Vineyard or Exalted.

But he also really likes D&D and so does the other guy, and I don't really hate D&D.

At some point, everyone has tried running.playing nothing but their favorite game systems. And over time, you just find yourself coming back to D&D.

Not because nobody likes it, but because enough people do like it (and don't hate it) that it just kind of becomes the default. Nobody's particularly UNHAPPY with it, and at the end of the day, it's more about having fun with folks.
>>
File: JCFP7fg.jpg (240KB, 900x900px)
JCFP7fg.jpg
240KB, 900x900px
>>50257642
Get your racism out of here
>>
>>50257648
>Oh. I uh. I just have a bunch of mythical heroes running around.

"But Anon! That's not D&D. What about huh gritty realistic verisimilitude suspension of disbelief with meaningful challenges!?"
>>
>>50257726
>Dual Wield lances while riding wolf
>Wolf can only attack/knock prone within 5 feet, lances have disadvantage unless at 10
Eh.
>>
>>50257726
But double lance mean
1) I need to invest in STR (since Halfling doesn't has +STR bonus) and invest in a feat (to TWF non-light weapon).

That's 2 less ASI compare to going with DEX and Lance can't even get GWM bonus.
>>
>>50257652
>Extra Damage
This helps nothing.
>Status Effects
Good start for more mechanical options.

Basically, you want cool stunts maneuvers they can learn that let them do blatantly supernatural effects - specifically, stuff that is not hp damage or AC.

You then also want Skill DCs for crazy shit.

Acrobatics DCs for balancing on a ceiling upside-down.
Stealth DCs to HIPS with no special power to assist you.
Persuasion DCs to change someone's entire philosophy on life.
Deception checks that rewrite reality, or someone's memory of it.
etc.
>>
>>50257642
Various editions and settings have constantly gone back and forth on the subject. Currently, in 5E FR, they don't, but they have in previous editions (notably 2E, though most shaved).
>>
>>50257769
You can move between attacks.
>lance a guy on the approach
>wolf a guy when you're right next to him
>reach backwards and smack him on the head with the lance again as you pass
>>
>>50257812
And provoke AO.
>>
>>50257802
2E also established that despite being very fond of their beards, most Dwarves shave and oil the rest of their bodies. They're like glistening bodybuilders who only accept hair on their heads.
>>
"aw cool a 5e thread, i needed some people to ask if this initial quest i wrote is any good"
>this whole thread
"uh... maybe next thread"
>>
>>50257827
>implying I give a shit about a prone enemy's disadvantaged attack
>implying I'm not doing it just to trigger Riposte
>>
>>50257845

Just try the Discord server.
>>
>>50257852
> relying on DC 11 prone
>>
File: typical dwarf.jpg (86KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
typical dwarf.jpg
86KB, 600x900px
>>50257836
>>
>>50257733
Ah.

I've got 8 people in my group, and at any given time, like 3 of us are running a campaign. When it's D&D its because someone really wants to run D&D.

We do try to avoid the games people have determined they really dislike, but there aren't that many of those that we've come across.

If anything in our group is the default, it would be a 50/50 mix of Pathfinder and Shadowrun (about equal proportions of 4e and 5e), with nearly everything else being on the table.

If someone mentions 3.5, we try to steer them toward 3.pf. If someone mentions d20 modern, I mention negative experiences and my refusal to use said system, and then mention alternatives that could likely handle the campaign premise.

But, I guess if you're all happy with playing D&D instead of whatever else you'd rather play and having to take turns, well, whatever works for you.
>>
>>50257852
>Riposte
>On a Ranger
>When they attack your squishy wolf
>>
>>50257871
That's why you get your wolf the Magic Intitate feat at level 4 so it can shocking grasp.
>>
>>50257852
Oh and you can't even riposte because the Opportunity attack would be at your wolf (Riding a mount count as involuntarily movement, so the rider don't provoke).

So yeah. You're shit at theorycrafting.
>>
>>50257899
animal companions can't learn feats
>>
>>50257899
Companion can't get feat.

RAW: They don't have ASI class feature. They get bonus ability score when YOU get ASI. You need to forgo ASI class feature to get a feat.

RAI: Sageadvice already confirmed, beast can't get feat.
>>
>>50257918
What if the mount is actually the party druid?
>>
>>50257871
>implying I didn't Stunning Strike the enemy so that he auto-fails the save to avoid prone
>>
>>50257940
well as long as they're 18th level and can cast in beast form it would work
>>
>>50257921
Totally stealing this for my campaign. Pack of Wolves with Shocking Grasp. LIGHTNING WOLVES!
>Guitar Solo

No but seriously, lightning wolves sound awesome. I already have a desert where all the sand is actually comprised of ground up dragon bones. It isn't a small desert either. Totally fits.
Lightning Wolves
>>
>>50257982
Why stop at wolves? Add sprackles to your campaign.
>>
>>50257918
>>50257921
If it makes you feel any better, I was being sarcastic

>>50257901
This is actually something that bothers me with the UA ranger, and how controlling a mount in combat actually works. By the "initiative of your mount changes to match yours" does it still get it's own turn, just at the same time as you, or does it effectively cease to exist as an individual entity? Can you charge in, hit someone, your companion uses it's reaction to attack, and then your companion goes, disengages, and moves away as you direct it? Or do I have that all wrong.
>>
>>50257648
>Oh. I uh. I just have a bunch of mythical heroes running around.

>>50257759
>"But Anon! That's not D&D. What about huh gritty realistic verisimilitude suspension of disbelief with meaningful challenges!?"

"Uh, D&D isn't gritty or realistic. It's a fantasy spellcasting everyone-is-X-Men game with swords and armor. As for meaningful challenges, you still have those. If I wanted or realistic, I'd be running GURPS, or BRP, or UniSystem. If I just wanted Gritty d20 fantasy we'd be playing d20 Conan. If I wanted Tolkienesque Fantasy we'd be playing HARNMaster or HARP. But we're not playing those campaigns right now, we're playing D&D. and the mechanics are not low powered, so neither is the setting. Now stop whining and get back to swimming through magma unscathed, so you can get through the stargate and and stop the evil githyanki Apophis from crashing his asteroid-ship into the village and his Orc-Jaffa from terrorizing the countryside."
>>
>>50258018
oh, i have met people who thought that companion feats were a thing so i didn't know what to think
>>
>>50257982
Ever play Monster Hunter?

Play Zinogre theme while you're at it.
>>
>>50258044
That's understandable, I should have been more clear in how retarded my own suggestion was.

As amusing as the idea of having a Giant Parrot with the Linguist feat is, it's a no-no
>>
File: dndintroduction.png (101KB, 507x801px) Image search: [Google]
dndintroduction.png
101KB, 507x801px
>>50257759
>>50258027
We're totally playing d20 Conan and Conan would have zero problem swimming through magma to stop Baal's army of Kull warriors.
>>
>>50257802

My favorite was 4e with it's deliciously thick Dwarven ladies with overly long locks as elaborately stylized as male dwarven beards.

I went back in regards to dwarves in my own setting and dispensed with the idea that dwarven women resemble men. They're actually the opposite. They're living embodiments of Venus of Willendor/Earthmother/StronkWomyn archetype in the same way Dwarves are stereotypically hard-drinking, hard fighting masculine caricatures.

Dwarves were born and live in the highest mountain peaks because it's where the mother goddess of the Earth meets the father god of the Sky.

Women dominate business inside of Dwarven communities. They're the matriarch of families, the leaders of the communities, and dominate everything that goes on inside the walls of a Dwarven citadel. Dwarven men are almost entirely in charge of Dwarven interaction with the outside world: going off to mine, trade goods, and explore or make war. Since most Dwarves encountered outside of Dwarven cities are males, most people just assume all Dwarves (male and female) are short bearded angry fellows.
>>
>>50257997
>sprackles
Google found nothing. Explain what a Sprackle is? Some kind of Lightning Goblin? I mean...it totally sounds like a Lightning Goblin.

>>50258060
maybe for the Dire Lightning Wolf
>>
Back to topic..

Guess I will go with TWF shortsword and DEX-wolf.
>>
File: 31651640_m.jpg (160KB, 424x600px) Image search: [Google]
31651640_m.jpg
160KB, 424x600px
>>50257918
>human revised ranger
>with greatsword
>beast enclave
>with wolf
>have wolf take weapon master at 4th level
>give him a greatsword
>>
>>50258078
D&D shit likes to say Dwarves have beards and look like men but then they invariably draw them as thick-hipped sexpots that make you wonder how the fuck the Dwarven race ever had a fertility problem.
>>
>>50258075
i can see how disallowing feats in general is a good idea but for thematic feats like that i would allow in a heartbeat
>>
>>50258109
Hard to bang when you are black out drunk. Or Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
>>
File: grackle.jpg (102KB, 567x854px) Image search: [Google]
grackle.jpg
102KB, 567x854px
>>50258098
It's a grackle, but with lightning power.

Grackles are well-known for being enormous assholes that swoop down out of nowhere and peck the shit out of you and anything else for zero reason.
>>
If dwarven women all had beards, does this mean all dwarven males are all gay?
>>
>>50257335

Keep in mind that stuffing your face with pizza/ice cream is a lot different than running an rpg in terms of time dedication.
>>
>>50258179
If the women had beards that would mean they were lesbians.
>>
>>50258179
i don't follow your logic, care to elaborate?
>>
>>50258156
Lightning Grackles it is. How about they fly around in massive packs, like schools of fish and it looks like a stormcloud and when one of them dives to peck someone there's a trail of lightning behind them. When they make contact with anything while "charging" Thunderclap is cast.
>>
>>50258179
The only reason the Dwarven race didn't die out entirely in 2nd is because the Dwarves ran around kidnapping human women to impregnate. Dwarf jizz is so potent that a human-dwarf mating results in 100% Dwarf unless you're from Dark Sun, in which case you get a Mul.

Eventually Moradin was like, "Woah, that's fucked up," and let Dwarven women have babies again.
>>
>>50257887
>If anything in our group is the default, it would be a 50/50 mix of Pathfinder and Shadowrun (about equal proportions of 4e and 5e), with nearly everything else being on the table.

Pathfinder is D&D in all but name.

>>But, I guess if you're all happy with playing D&D instead of whatever else you'd rather play and having to take turns, well, whatever works for you.

It's not that you never get to play anything else. I've run plenty of campaigns under various systems. My friend just ended an IK campaign.

It's just that the default is still often D&D. That same friend is also playing in a D&D campaign. My other friend is running a pathfinder (aka D&D) campaign. A coworker invited me to yet another D&D campaign.

Now, I could say, "No. I'm not playing in any of your D&D games guys. You should all play in my Tribe 8 game instead," and I might be running a Tribe 8 campaign at some point in the future, but that's simply less practical than me joining one of the many easily accessible D&D groups and getting my TTRPG fix right now.
>>
File: sprackle.png (386KB, 781x836px) Image search: [Google]
sprackle.png
386KB, 781x836px
>>50258206
A murmuration of sprackles is pretty much a stormcloud.
>>
>>50257859
i dont know if they'd appreciate me doing a big ol text dump in there
>>
>>50258027
>"Uh, D&D isn't gritty or realistic. It's a fantasy spellcasting everyone-is-X-Men game with swords and armor. As for meaningful challenges, you still have those. If I wanted or realistic, I'd be running GURPS, or BRP, or UniSystem. If I just wanted Gritty d20 fantasy we'd be playing d20 Conan. If I wanted Tolkienesque Fantasy we'd be playing HARNMaster or HARP. But we're not playing those campaigns right now, we're playing D&D. and the mechanics are not low powered, so neither is the setting. Now stop whining and get back to swimming through magma unscathed, so you can get through the stargate and and stop the evil githyanki Apophis from crashing his asteroid-ship into the village and his Orc-Jaffa from terrorizing the countryside."

"Okay. As long as skill checks remain capped as they are and martials can't do much overly crazy shit outside of skill checks. I don't want any weeaboo fightan magic 4e shenanigans in my D&D."
>>
>>50258156
>Grackles are well-known for being enormous assholes that swoop down out of nowhere and peck the shit out of you and anything else for zero reason.

That's Mockingbirds, Anon.

Grackles just hang out in parking lots eating bugs and french fries and being loud and annoying as fuck.
>>
>>50257642
My dwarves are a mix of traditional dwarves and Discworld dwarves, so dwarven men and women look the same. It's a very private thing for them.
>>
>>50258244
>1d3
what
>>
>>50258392
1d6 divided by 2 round up
rookie
>>
>>50258304
grackles are the bane of my country, more abundant than pigeons and with eyes filled with bloodlust and beaks made of hatred.

fuck them.
>>
>>50258401
why would anyone do that, just roll a d4, how much difference can an extra 1 damage make?
>>
>>50258212
Goddamn wat.
>>
Has anyone converted the haunt rules over from PF to 5e?
>>
>>50258423
Makes a difference when you are fighting 20 Sprackles.
>>
>>50258496
I treated them like magical traps with special resets whenever I need to convert them over. Kind of have to go custom for each one, though, as a single system for using them would be wonky for trying to force itself into the mold of 5e.
>>
>>50258260
>"Okay. As long as skill checks remain capped as they are and martials can't do much overly crazy shit outside of skill checks. I don't want any weeaboo fightan magic 4e shenanigans in my D&D."
"That's perfectly okay anon. I thought of that too, just for you. I just did away with the nonmagic classes entirely. The most mundane characters are now Ranger and Eldritch Knight. Rogue is a Subclass of Bard, Monk is a Subclass of Paladin (Or Ranger, if you want to make an innawoods monk, and Barbarian is a Subclass of Eldritch Knight With Rage powers. In case you weren't sure, All Fighter's are Eldritch Knights now."
>>
File: average dwarf.jpg (158KB, 606x569px) Image search: [Google]
average dwarf.jpg
158KB, 606x569px
>>50258078
>>50257886
>>
File: 1454108395803.png (90KB, 521x406px) Image search: [Google]
1454108395803.png
90KB, 521x406px
>>50258578
NO
>>
>>50258185
You don't dedicate a full weekend every month to gaming? You don't always have to be GM, if you're talking about preptime.
>>
>>50258213
Ah. Gotcha. Okay.

Thought you were saying you wanted to play other games, but never get to, and play D&D instead. And that just sounded sad.
>>
>>50258392
d3
https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice-sets/156/Six-Sided-D3-Dice
>>
>>50258537
Thanks man, yeah that'd work.
>>
>>50258578

"Fuck this high magic weeaboo anime bullshit."
>>
>>50258628

I dedicate about a day, which is all I can muster for one game. The DM probably dedicates more.
>>
Is it worth it to multiclass a paladin with a warlock or sorcerer?

two smites per short rest sound pretty great and having eblast as a ranged option sounds great too, plus another cantrip and invocation for utility stuff and then either a familiar or three more cantrips and rituals

I was thinking, get close quarters shooter and eblast with agonizing and just use eblast as my weapon plus a shield
>>
>>50258578
w-what?
>>
>>50258642
>Thought you were saying you wanted to play other games, but never get to, and play D&D instead. And that just sounded sad.

Nah. I stated repeatedly that while I don't *hate* D&D, it's not my favorite system and the reason I play it more often than others is simply a matter of convenience and not because it's my favorite setting.

In my ideal world, everyone would be asking me to play Tribe 8 instead of D&D.
>>
>>50258599
>"NO"
"Okay, You sure? If you really want to gimp yourself by making a beat-cop in my Fantasy-Magic-Avengers RPG, I'll be accommodating and allow you to do so, but first you have to sign this legal document that states you're not going to be a whiny cunt about how you demanded to build a 1-trick pony and how everybody else gets to do cool shit, and you decided you didn't want it. Just sign right there at the bottom, next to where it says "I acknowledge that I am deliberately gimping myself because I do not want to be able to do all kinds of cool shit in this high-powered-everyone-is-superheroes game, and I solemnly swear not to bitch about all the cool shit everyone else gets to do a couple sessions from now." Thanks."

>>50258696
>"Fuck this high magic weeaboo anime bullshit."
"Well, we voted, and the game everyone voted on was D&D." We can play d20 Conan next time.
>>
>>50258757
>In my ideal world, everyone would be asking me to play Tribe 8 instead of D&D.
That's hipstery even by /tg/ standards. Damn.
>>
>>50258757
so get out of /5eg/

you miserable fuck
>>
>>50258702
Ah. We do a solid 2 days, sometimes 2.5 (probably like 4+18+14h over a 3 day span, once a month), and split that time up between 3-5 different games run by different people.
>>
>>50258785

"I want to play D&D and not having any Fighters and Rogues that aren't spellcasters is not D&D."
>>
>>50258757
I have literally never heard of Tribe 8 before this thread, and I have a 7 foot tall 2.5 foot wide bookshelf and a bit filled with RPG books.
>>
>>50258707
i've always found multiclassing weird/difficult to pull off, especially if you are starting at level 1.
you are going to be behind in ASIs, spell levels and features compared to the rest of your single class party, at least until the point where most classes plateau.
warlock 2/paladin X is probably your best bet but that said, there's few reasons to stay in paladin after level 6/11.

>I was thinking, get close quarters shooter and eblast with agonizing and just use eblast as my weapon plus a shield
you can't smite with eldritch blast, though.
>>
>>50258870
>>50258870
>>50258870
>>50258870

New session thread, gents
>>
>>50258854
>you can't smite with eldritch blast, though.

My GM might let me, assuming I'm in 5ft of the guy.

I'm pretty much giving up a fighting style so I can blast people in the face instead of away at a much safer distance of 120+ feet

actually that's pretty cool; smiting with EBlast is just sending out a much stronger blast
>>
>>50258848
>missing the point by that much
>>
When are are going to get high CR enemies?
More Tiamat and of her ilk.
>>
>>50258815

I'm not miserable. How many times do I have to say that? I play 5e more than any other RPG. It's quite possibly my favorite edition of D&D.

It's just not my favorite system and I appreciate it for what it is. Jeez.

Next you're going to tell me I can't post on /tg/ at all because I think a good day of fishing beats a good afternoon of playing D&D.

>>50258794
>>50258850

Hence why I don't lose my shit over it. Different strokes for different folks, you know? I'm not the kind of person who shits on stuff just for being popular and I'm not deluded enough to think everyone wants to play my super niche RPG because it's the best and everything else is inferior.

But all this goes back to what I was saying about published settings/adventures. I don't hate them and see them as a useful tool because not everyone wants to play my super niche snowflake homewbrew D&D setting just like not everyone is itching to play my super niche snowflake RPG system (Tribe8).

But when Eberron comes out, I'll have a little more wiggle room to be selective, as its one of my favorite settings- independent of system.
>>
>>50258907

I'm arguing as one those people who have ridiculous ideas about muh D&D is/isn't.

And one of those ideas is making sure non-spellcasters PC classes are in the game, but making sure they have to suck in terms of options/flexibility (and sometimes outright power) compared to caster classes.

"Because muh gritty realism and vermisilitude!"

You can't placate such people by leaving out non-caster classes or by making non-casters capable of awesome shit. It's a catch 22.
>>
>>50259028
What is your point
>>
>>50259137

My point- going back to the original point- was explaining that published adventures aren't bad and are not indicative of a lack of creativity or lack of interest in anything else.
>>
>>50258423
Let's ask the level 2 Wizard rolling for his HP
Thread posts: 409
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.