[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 433
Thread images: 52

Pirate Edition

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previously on /5eg/.. >>50227035 →
>>
>>50240764

I rolled stats can place anywhere:

17, 13, 13, 12, 10, 10

Battlemaster (?) Fighter, Transmutation Wizard, ? Barbarian, Vengeance Paladin

Level 3 and POTA. What should I play?
>>
I want to make a bladelock

Are they garbage as fuck?
>>
>>50241215
yep

>>50241166
something without MAD since you only really have one good stat. Go battlemaster, get like 18-19 STR at start, make sure you have atleast 14 con too
>>
>>50241240
mad?
>>
>>50241253
multiple attribute dependency

IE a paladin needs STR CON CHA to be as effective as he can be, whereas a Wizard would just need Int.
>>
>When you spend all your ki in one single Searing Sunburst and use Lucky till he fails the save
>>
>>50241166
Half elf pally

17 str 14 con 14 wis 14 cha 12 dex 10 int
>>
>>50241295
Lucky can't be used to make enemies fail saves

that would be hilariously absurd
>>
>>50241321
No one reads the rules faggot
>>
Thoughts on the Bardbarian UAs?
>>
>>50241372
Guardian is shit
Tempest is from meh to ok
Zealot has strong 1st and and last features
>>
So I am pretty much done writing up my own campaign, now I'm just trying to find "interesting" stuff to add. I thought about having one of the characters either be a (half) werewolf (or whatever, just what I thought of first) and eventually have him catch up to it.
>you wake up with dried blood on your hands, some of your stuff is missing, you don't feel rested
Something like that.

Now my question is: Is it okay to screw with my player's characters? I feel like I am taking a vital part of "their" character and forcing it into my story. Even if the character drinks a potion or gets bitten (etc) that would allow me to do that, I still feel like it's not a fair thing to do.
What say you?
>>
What is the best magical item and why is it the immovable rod?
>>
DDAL5-04 and -05 are now in the Mega. Thanks to an kind anon for contributing.
>>
Am I the only one that wants to make a War Boyz Zealot Barbarian?

I WANT TO BE WITNESSED!
>>
>>50241782
>Ring of three wishes
>Wish for 3 the immovable rods
3 > 1
>>
>>50241321
On that note... you can't use cutting word on enemy saving throw either.
>>
>>50240764
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/bard-colleges

College of Glamour is cool, imo, not really powerful, but I think it would shine a lot in roleplaying-heavy campaigns, because its features rely on lengthy performance and social manipulation.

The same for Whispers, but I'd think that College is meant for bards who are anarchists and just want to shit things up, making kingdoms fall or nobles betray each other.

Liked these options way more that the barbarian ones.
>>
>>50241372
>Glamour a shit
>Shadows a shit but at least fun for an antagonist in an urban/courtly game
>>
My friend is a nice guy but he is a shit DM

> allow retard roll stat method that will result in character with higher ability score (and if you have a bad luck, you can just choose to take standard array afterward).
> has to homebrew monster to compensate
> too deadly
> add 2 DM PC to help party
> giving homebrew magic item that he thought up on the spot (obviously regardless of game balance)

I think it can only go down hill from here..

Seriously, if you are bad at probability class, don't try to DM.
>>
>>50241830
Wat?
>>
>>50242216
What was the homebrew magic item?
>>
>>50242165
Bonus action command seem pretty strong. Not as much as magical secret but better than extra attack.
>>
>>50242223
Adventurer's League, they're like adventures for people that are only able to play at an LGS
>>
File: bymydeedsihonorhimv8.gif (2MB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
bymydeedsihonorhimv8.gif
2MB, 500x276px
>>50241913

while fighting harpies in the top of an abandoned tower, I ordered one of my skeletons to grapple one of the harpies wings while it was in the open air. As it leapt at it and they both tumbled to the earth my dwarf necromancer pointed and cried, "WITNESS!"
>>
File: 1479168585399.jpg (1MB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1479168585399.jpg
1MB, 900x900px
Best elf coming through.
>>
One of my players got a worg pup. I have a lot of shenanigans planned with it when it grows up, obviously. But what's the best way to go about with it's training? also, how long should they take to grow? I was thinking on halving a regular wolves life cycle, but making it live twice as long.
>>
>>50242233
A staff that hold 10 sorcery point. Recharge daily. Indestructible.

For a level 4 party.
>>
>>50241488
I think Guardian is the coolest of the 3. Barbrian who summons Ghosts. Guardian feels like it gives the player options to use things.

Storm Herald is boring. It is all Aura based, which makes sense mechanically while raging because you have to attack every round. But besides describing how cool your aura looks, it seems lame.

Zealot is okay, but that second feature is so out of place. Whose using a resurrection spell at that level? Do any casters even have resurrection spells available to them at level 3?
>>
Going to play D&D for the first time, I went in being a Human monk, and coming out of the character building session I'm now a Crabman Monk.

Just a question for all of you, should I be a polite crabman, or act like an actual crab, grabbing random objects and scuttling around.
>>
>>50242285
and don't forget twice as hungry, feisty, and if it accepts them, loyal. I can definitely see the roleplay opportunities.
>>
>>50242323
an actual crab.

Just don't be TOO obnoxious about it. You don't need to constantly describe every damn thing you're grabbing and scuttling about, etc.
>>
>>50242165
Err, Whispers, I mean.

As far as Barbarians go...
>Guardian sounds fun, and I've always been fond of spirit warriors. You go balls deep on the tanking barbarian, but at least you're competent at it. Plus, the ribbons lets you be semi-competent at Int and Wis checks. The fact two of its abilities suck a Reaction kinda blows, but whatever.
>Storm Herald has a neat idea, but it just leaves me wishing I was playing a 4E thunderbarb. Kinda like that you can customize your storm, but it ends up a combination of meh to yeh while never really shining or sounding as much fun as Guardian or Zealot. Also cool, all of your abilities are passive. F U N.
>Zealot sounds fun, but something about it holds me back from really loving it. Also, the fact that the 3rd level feature burns allies is a bit of a bummer.

>>50242236
Fair enough, I just wasn't really wow'd by any feature in it quite as much as the paranoia memes and shadow stealing from the College of Whispers. But again, I am mostly liking that for use as an antagonist in an urban campaign.

>>50242309
this tbqh famalam
>>
File: 87239804.gif (498KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
87239804.gif
498KB, 500x375px
>>50242323
you already know your answer.
>>
how well would a party of 9 level 20's do against a fully powered tiamat?

and adding to that, if they couldnt beat her, what would they need?
>>
>>50242289
Maybe your DM is just planning ahead. :)

desu if he's willing to do rolling for stats and THEN standard array if they don't like their stats, he should probably just give up all pretense of the game being balanced. Tell him to just make it a high lethality game.
>>
>>50242323
Actual Crab

What >>50242345 is good advice. Just make sure to do the Crab claw hand gestures. Throw in some "Why not [Zoidberg]?" remarks. Maybe the occassional whooping. You're good to go. 10/10 Roleplaying.
>>
>>50241793

Reposting, Kobolds are going to make incredibly strong shadow monks. It's like shadow monk was custom made for them.
>>
>>50242370
If run properly, Tiamat wins every time. Even the spellcasters, with all of their godly might, have exactly four spell slots that they can use against her. She can fly out of reach, has legendary actions and resistances for days, immunity to most forms of damage, etc, etc.

Basically the only way they could possibly take her down would be with an artifact of some kind or if the wizard casts Wish and the DM doesn't fuck with the wish.
>>
File: tfwnoanimalhandling.jpg (224KB, 736x1028px) Image search: [Google]
tfwnoanimalhandling.jpg
224KB, 736x1028px
>>50242326
Yes, exactly what I had in mind. But how hard should it be for the pup to accept them. It's really young(just a few days old), but the PC doesn't have that much animal handling.

Also they slaughtered all of it's family(maybe) in a goblin den.
>>
>>50242370
Tiamat would still win. You need artifact weapons and need to consistently cast level 7 and above spells.
>>
>>50242216

He probably wants the players to feel Heroic. When I DM if you dont get atleast two 15s, you re-roll. I want my players to feel awesome and feel like they can do cool stuff

Good DMs don't make balanced encounters, they change shit on the fly for better story telling and dramatic flair.

Those 2 middle points are kinda...ehhh, I dunno. No one is perfect.

Nothing wrong with giving awesome magic items early on. That's what I do. You found the legendary sword, you're gonna be using it for the next 5 levels cause I want my players to feel like their adventure is some kind of Legend of Zelda quest where you find the Master Sword and are destined to do something great and fantastic.

>Seriously, if you are bad at probability class, don't try to DM.
DMing, and D&D, is about Storytelling. If you want stats and probability go play an actual War-Game.
>>
>>50242377
Worst. He let you roll for stat twice (as in 2 stat array) and choose one. And if you don't like either one, you can take standard array.
>>
>>50242497
It not very heroic when most of the party are alive merely by thr grace of DMPC giving out potion and holding off enemies horde.
>>
>>50242497
Dice roll (and thus math) is a part of D&D story telling. Unless you play in a dice roll less game, if you can't get probability right, your story will be shit.
>>
>>50242425
In what way?
>>
>tfw you can't gomu gomu no jet gatling like in the playtests
>>
File: bestgirl.png (130KB, 545x519px) Image search: [Google]
bestgirl.png
130KB, 545x519px
What happens if you use a ring of three wishes to wish for more rings of three wishes?
>>
What's an optimal build (race, class, kit) for a cute slut in 5e?
>>
>>50242573
Race : /pfg/ kitsune
Class: /pfg/ healbot cleric
Kit: /pfg/ enchantress kit
>>
If I grapple person A, and person B also grapples person A, what happens when I try to move? Is person A forcibly moved, ending person B's grapple, or does Person B get dragged along, too?

Can I throw my non-flying familiar at a flying creature and have it grapple it to take it down? Do I need to roll to hit with my familiar? Can you do improvised weapon damage by throwing creatures at other creatures? Going back to question one, can I throw person A at person B if I'm grappling him and he's not? What if we're both grappling person A at the time, can I throw him then? What about using a person as a non-thrown improvised weapon?
>>
Thoughts on this please.

Players are playing in the modern world (yes I know), assessing, investigating and putting down supernatural and paranormal threats.
People are kept ignorant of the supernatural, the paranormal to prevent widespread panic and breakdown of society.
People still think elves, dwarves, etc only exist in fairytales, but they do exist but are rare.
Elves have been recast as fey lords who abduct and are heavily inspired by Changeling the Lost, for example.

The elves, true to some folklore, are the ones who inspired the original abduction myths. Their extreme beauty is also as much glamor as anything, they still are extremely attractive if you could pierce it but their glamor allows them to affect emotions or actions in their victims.

Grays are also a feature of the setting, they're a strain of us from the future, here to conduct experiments on our base forms and livestock, to prepare or protect or eliminate us for some unknowable end.

The elves and grays are locked in a secret war.
>>
>>50242264
Image search fails me. Who is that elf?
>>
>>50242549

They have pretty good stat bumps for a shadow monk (+2 dex is awesome).

A bonus action dodge helps them mitigate the weakness of Kneel, Grovel, Beg

Huge supply of Darkness means they can cancel out sunlight sensitivity when they need to.

Pack tactics helps guarantee they can land their attacks and overall increases the monk's damage output so they will rarely miss. It also enhances the rogue multiclass if they choose to go that route.
>>
>>50242567
You get a ring of three wishes with no wishes left, or one wish if the DM isn't an asshole. So, realistically, a ring with no wishes left.
>>
Anons? Am curious; what races do you most want to see someday get an official 5e PC writeup?
>>
So

Anywhere to get an elf name generator that DOESN'T read like a directory of a shitty rp forum for teenagers?
>>
>>50242616
A move out of B grapple range.
B grapple end.

Throwing ally has no rule support, thus it fall under DM authority.
>>
>>50242548
I am kind of confused, are you saying you should understand probability for D&D so that you can control/predict the outcome of situations based on the numbers so that you control/know exactly where the story is going?

Because that's bad DMing.

>This is my story and I will do what I want to make sure it plays out how I want it to

Good DMs are better at improvisation and quick thinking than math.

If you just want to tell a specific story, don't be a DM, go write a book.
>>
>>50242573
Why are you in this thread?
>>
>>50242633
Kender and Krynn ogres.
>>
>>50241589
If they drink some weird ass potion then it's okay to screw with them. Try to give them a way back though.
>>
>>50242633
Dhampirs
>>
>>50242670
Tabaxi are basically cat-kender.
>>
>>50242625
Best elf.
>>
>>50242633
Firenewt
>>
So, had an idea to make a Warlock in pact with Hermaeus Mora. Obviously it would be a Book Pact, but would it be with an Infernal or Old One? Hermaeus isn't quite Cthulu tier, but he's not a normal demon either.

I'm also having a bit of a time trying to think of a motivation. What knowledge is so forbidden that you have to go straight to the Prince of Knowledge to get it, instead of going through the normal means (Infernal pacts, dungeon hunting, lichdom)? How would he have even gotten the pact? My idea was to have him sneak into Apocrypha, and steal a book (His pact book.) That's why I'm leaning more toward Mora being an Old One pact, as he's always too busy learning things to notice a mere mortal in his library. That's why he has Seekers.

Thoughts?
>>
Um hey, since I have nowhere to go for this, I guess I just ask it here. Does anyone know the location of the pdfs for Numenere?
>>
>>50242664
What I am saying is that you need to know how probability work to actually do improvision.

You need to know how probability work to guage the success rate of the party. Then give them approiate DC and CR challenge for your players. And you need to know how math work to give out a suitable reward.

Randomly improvise stuff base on your guts feeling is bad. It will make thing go wrong, which mean you have to throw more improvision and it turn into a vicious cycle.

Giving out a super weapon at low level and then leaving that player with nothing for 6 more level (because he became too strong from your incompetence) will leave the player feeling very unsatisfy.
>>
>>50242633
Thri kreen
>>
File: 1478010859644.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1478010859644.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50242740
ctrl-f in here
>>
File: wolfpup.jpg (64KB, 830x567px) Image search: [Google]
wolfpup.jpg
64KB, 830x567px
>>50242466
party members can assist him with his animal handling, maybe let him receive training in it with a local druid or some such. he can either buy it or do a quick job to gain favor with the skill vendor. then, let him have proficiency in it or some such. after a while of demonstrating to the pup that he has the best of intentions for it and means to care for it and "accept it into his pack" you can let him have advantage on animal handling checks when dealing with the pup. if the player is nurturing and faithful to the creature, let it respond in kind. if he doesnt feed it or mistreats it, let it tear off one of his legs. easy peasy.
>>
Are there any benefits to being a large creature in 5th ed? I know there was some positive stuff in 3.5 but that's about it.
>>
>>50242688
>No trait based upon fearlessness
>No trait based on taunting or insulting foes in combat
>No trait based around their knack for picking up random knick-knacks that occasionally end up helpful

Really not seeing it. At least mechanically, they seem to have nothing at all in common with kender. Hell, they're even Medium. If anything I'd use Halflings. Replace Lucky with an ability to conjure up a random tool or trinket worth less than 1g or simply add it on as a Ribbon. Then make a subrace that gives +1 Cha and take Grovel, Cower and Beg, refluffed to make it based around taunting and insulting your foe.
>>
File: 1394997148513.jpg (33KB, 623x263px) Image search: [Google]
1394997148513.jpg
33KB, 623x263px
>>50242805
Thanks anon, it had what I needed.
>>
>>50242827
WotC avoid rule complication of different PC size like a plague.

Enlarge Person spell only give you 1d4 damage and nothing else for example.
>>
>>50242862
So it's mostly for visual effect then. Thanks.
>>
>>50242707
The tentacles and knowledge-lust certainly give credence to an Old Ones pact, though I personally like to flavor the pacts differently depending on the Patron. Fey pacts are either gifts for you impressing/seducing a fey or because they're bored and wanna see you fuck shit up. Fiend pacts are either bargains for power or using you as a pawn for a specific plot. Old One pacts are a little less directed, you either tap into their power unwittingly or their purposes for you are so unfathomable that they seem almost random.

You could definitely go either way, but if you do go GOO, I'd make your pact less dealy and more "you stumbled upon secrets not meant for mortal eyes"
>>
I'm going to play an Elemental Monk in my next game, which disciplines are the best? Also, I know they made some changes about Ele monk in the errata, my DM never read the errata, should I show him or not about the changes?
>>
>>50242680
I'm was sort of surprised they didn't show up in Volo's Guide to Monsters or anything Ravenloft.
>>
>>50242633
On a somewhat similiar topic...

>Favorite player race from Volo's?
Lizardfolk, hands down.
>>
>>50242952
Lizard Light Cleric is awesome, lizards love heat lamps n shit plus the natural armor is better than medium!
>>
Hey everyone! Just plugging the newest episode of Bards & Nobles, a D&D 5e podcast run by a fa/tg/uy.

http://bardsandnobles.com/episode/e4-a-fishy-deal/

We've gotten a ton of feedback so far, and have been steadily making improvements. Let me know if there's anymore you think we can make, or any suggestions you have for any of us.

Thanks!
>>
>>50242623
Good, good.
Also, jungle supplement when?
>>
>>50242835
I think the meme is based on their theft and fleeting interests so people are afraid their players will lolsorandom steal things for no reason and tried to hide behind "it's what my character would do"

The whole kender player thing is a bit exaggerated. If they're being a nuisance have them get locked up and fined when they get caught, the law doesn't care for your racial predisposition to petty theft.
>>
>>50242920
Dhampirs are more a Pathfinder thing than a D&D thing, same with kitsune. I doubt either of them will be featured in D&D for the forseeable future.

As for why not in Ravenloft, Curse of Strahd is about outsiders going into the land and fighting evil, not about dark creatures already in or related to Barovia. Thus no Vistani, playable vampires, playable lycanthropes, playable undead, etc.
>>
So I want to add some little details to my races that sort of encapsule the original purpose of why they were created.

Dwarves are easy since they already have proficiencies in different kinds of artisan tools, but Elves being essentially gardeners and guardians for the orchards of the gods, what sort of things should they have? Herbalism Kit proficiency? Sense the feelings of plants? What should be replaced if anything? Dragonborn, created to essentially be accountants for the wealth of the gods. What sort of things could that entail? What of the other races?
>>
>>50242633
Bullywugs
>>
File: hob.jpg (54KB, 567x496px) Image search: [Google]
hob.jpg
54KB, 567x496px
What type of nose do goblins / hobgoblins / bugbears have? Are they cat noses?
>>
>>50243034
Elves could have animal handling and nature proficiencies and dragonborn could have arcana prof and advantage on insight checks when it comes to brokering deals involving money?
>>
File: Darkvision.png (20KB, 417x274px) Image search: [Google]
Darkvision.png
20KB, 417x274px
Rules question for you folks

A player of mine decided to play the new UA Revised ranger, and they have the attached ability. I glanced over it at first.

We're playing a Underdark campaign where almost everything relies on darkvision. It says they gain no benefit when trying to detect you; does 'detect' mean only initially or always? How is this possible? It seems hella broken if they can walk through a town without ever being seen.
>>
>>50243016
The fuck are you talking about, berk?
>>
>>50243073
It means you treat them as if they had normal vision for the purposes of detecting the Ranger. So, if there's no source of light, they treat the Ranger as if he were in complete darkness all the time.
>>
>>50243073
It means that in dim light and darkness, creatures with darkvision can't detect them, they're still functionally in darkness. They can hide in plain sight in total darkness even from creatures with darkvision.

Also Underdark towns are still going to have lights in them. No one wants to live their life seeing nothing but dim black and white.
>>
tfw scared to apply to join groups

is dis shit a job interview
>>
>>50243083
The idea that tabaxi are like kender
>>
>>50243112
yes
have fun
>>
>>50242835
They're less annoying shitstains and thus superior kender.
>>
>>50243107
It included dim conditions, which Gracklstugh is
>>50243100
Thanks very much to the both of you. It's been a long night and when they leveled up the player was trying to convince me they were invisible and I couldn't wrap my head around it.

Cheers
>>
>>50243112
>hey cool we meet on friday night and we've got a wizard, cleric and a warlock so a martial class might be good

That's basically what you should expect.
>>
>>50243060
Elves are much more attuned to plants, they literally guarded the trees that grew the Fruit of Immortality, I don't see Animal Handling being related to that.

Dragonborn less brokered deals that counted and accrued wealth, keeping great ledgers of the divine in vaults guarded by dragons. Something like appraisal? Investigation proficiency doubled when appraising the worth of an item?
>>
>>50243153
Grab a Paladin. Paladins are fucking kewl.
>>
So I'm finally in a game.

And turns out it has fucking fumble houseshit.

Is Lucky Diviner Halfling really that good at countering that or is it a meme?
>>
>>50243112
Depends on the DM. Don't sweat it. If you go to an 'interview' for a group, listen carefully, ask questions and talk about the reasons you're interested in D&D.
>>
>>50243054
They are goblinoses.
>>
>>50243201
>is getting the ability to change my dice rolls a shitton really good at preventing me from rolling 1s or is that a meme
>>
>>50243201
On the .25% chance you have roll a 1 even with the lucky halfling ability, the diviner portent will save ya, plus you can keep anyone else from doing dumb fumblestuff if they get a 1 as well.
>>
File: 1463723213472.png (251KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1463723213472.png
251KB, 512x512px
Are there any neutral and/or good deities that a Tempest Cleric could be linked to?
>>
>>50243201
It'd be a good counter to fumble rules, yeah. You can reroll a lot of things, and even help other people with their bad rolls. Or, if you roll a 1 on your portent, turn the tables and force your opponents to fumble.
>>
>>50243263
Kord
>>
Hill dwarves. Do they actually mine things, too? I just realized, I don't have a clue what hill dwarves do and why they're different than mountain dwarves--other than being called hill dwarves and maybe living on hills.
>>
>>50243307
You can mine hills, they just have more grass and plantlife than tougher high mountains. That's why hill dwarves make better druids.
>>
>>50243307
Mountain Dwarves dig into the side of a mounta

Hill Dwarves just dig straight down.

You can diggy diggy hole anywhere. So says my character anyways. He's currently in a giant floating city, so we'll see how well that works out for him.
>>
What are the best class pairs? I have this idea for a Lizardfolk Cleric and Dragonborn Paladin roaming the land and righting things they think are wrong (but are actually normal for humans) like a reptilian Sancho Panza and Don Quixote
>>
>>50242061
People didn't know this?
>>
Anyone have an updated list of all the character and race options?
>>
Everyone i've heard talk about playing a Light Cleric thinks they are super fun. I can kinda see it, and the guys on WebDM also gave Light Clerics the thumbs up on being effective and fun.

Anyone play a Light Cleric and tell me what they think?
>>
>>50243418
Halfling Ranger(Beast Master) and Firbolg Druid(Moon)

A Halfling riding a chariot pulled by 2 bears. Seems pretty good to me.
>>
File: Giants.jpg (2MB, 7120x2224px)
Giants.jpg
2MB, 7120x2224px
Giants are fucking tall you guys
>>
>>50243548
I played a Tiefling Light Cleric, and while I wasn't heavily optimized, I had a lot of fun with it. Be careful not to spread your stats out too far, and focus primarily on Wisdom as your spellcasting stat because of the modifier to cantrips feature you get at 8.
>>
>>50243548
Its great, its pretty strong on early level, this subclass' channel divinity is very good and by level 5 you are casting fireballs.

Would not recommend if you are playing above level 10, but for 1 to 8 its awesome
>>
>>50243598

I always thought they were large, not huge. Boy was I in for a rude awakening in SKT. Also, hail Ganondorf.
>>
>>50243548
Light Cleric is basically a font of radiant damage and you feel like a nuke who can fall back to healing and support when you're up against something that fire and light can't blast away. I enjoy the warding flare bonus as it can get me out of some sticky situations, the bonus spells are pretty powerful as well.
>>
>>50243475
People don't read rule.
>>
Okay, /5eg/, I need a lot of help. I've barely ever played D&D before, mostly due to an erratic work schedule, but now, my LGS is hosting an adventurer's league. Shopkeep handed me a blank sheet, said it went off of a stat block, and said most supplements + extras are cool.

Now I've never made a character on my own before, so I'm pretty lost, my only solid idea so far is I'd like to be a bard, and dump every point into CON and CHA I can. What are good races/feats/whatever else?
>>
>>50243641
>People don't read rule.
sad but true
>>
>>50243598
Yeah but they're not like Godzilla, they're like Harryhausen titan in scale.
>>
>>50241272
How would you go about negating MAD? What possible approaches are there?

And by that I mean "All classes need to focus on the same number of stats."
>>
>>50243613
Which domain would you see being useful until level 16 or so? I guess Tempest would be a better blaster/crowd control since lightning and sound are less resisted than fire and radiant damage.
>>
>>50243643

Making a character is pretty easy. The standard stat array is:

15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

You can put any of those numbers in any spot you want, and then you add your racial bonus on top of it.

Good Bard races are Tieflings, Tabaxi (VGtM), Tritons (VGtM), and Yuan-Ti (VGtm)

Once you have your stats, you pick a class. In this case you've chosen Bard. So high CHA comes first, then CON or DEX are probably your second highest stats. The bard entry will say you can pick X skills to be proficient in. Pick your skills, a background, pick your bard spells, your starter equipment and away you go.

Keep in mind that the AL has a Player's Handbook +1 rule. That is, you can only draw on one extra book past the PHB, those books being Elemental Evil, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and Volo's Guide to monsters.
>>
File: Halfing Bard 1.jpg (181KB, 466x690px) Image search: [Google]
Halfing Bard 1.jpg
181KB, 466x690px
>>50243643
Half-Elf, Halfling, Elf, Human. Feats aren't -that- useful for Bards.

Lore is probably more powerful. Spend some time browsing the spell descriptions because you're going to get spells from all classes, not just the Bard list.
>>
File: Female_HumanWitch.jpg (451KB, 1063x1375px)
Female_HumanWitch.jpg
451KB, 1063x1375px
Warlock players, do you have a favorite pact to make, flavor-wise?
Any specific Fiend, Archfey, or Great Old One?
Do you make up one of your own?
Or does the fluff not matter, only the crunchy benefits?
>>
Anyone here play a Nature Cleric?

I'm going to be a Firbolg in a SKT campaign, but I can't decide on my class.

Something naturey. Ancients paladin is a no go, played one before. And Druid is a bit boring,

>>50243666
What? Certain classes are MAD because they need more than one attribute to be high

like paladins, certain clerics, certain warlocks, valor bards, etc
>>
File: Ayyy.png (551KB, 1200x644px) Image search: [Google]
Ayyy.png
551KB, 1200x644px
>>50243598
>>
>>50243736

GOO I like fluffwise, but I prefer the mechanics of Fiend over everything else so I just refluff it to whatever I need. My upcoming Yuan-Ti warlock is going to have Quetzlcoalatus or however you spell it as her patron.
>>
How would you go rubber forehead aliens in 5e?

I'm making a space fantasy campaign and i'd like some thoughts.
>>
>>50243669
If you want a blaster, both tempest and light are the best. The problem is that after level 8, you only gain a subclass feature at 17. Warding flare starts to get worse as more enemies have multiattack too.

Overall, if you want to damage, these two are great. War might be good, but I never played one or with one
>>
>>50243598
But are they Xbox Huge?
>>
>>50243736
>do you have a favorite pact to make, flavor-wise? Any specific Fiend, Archfey, or Great Old One?

My opinion is similar to this one: >>50243776

Thematically, my fav is Fey, but Field is much better imo, so I refluff it.
>>
>>50243633
I was looking at some spells and Spiritual Weapon seems pretty great as it grants you a d8+wis damage as a bonus action. Then you can attack with Sacred Flame which is 1d8. Makes a nice sustained damage for a fight. Considering Spiritual Weapon is cast as a bonus action and controlled as such too and concentration isn't involved. I think it works out well.

So a level 3 Cleric can be doing 2d8+wis damage per turn. Seems decent to me.
>>
>>50243736
Never played a Warlock, probably wont for a while as 2 people in my party are Warlocks right now. But I'm gonna do a FeyLock/Oath of Ancients multiclass and be like a Beetle Knight.

I want to do it where my Paladin is just a Knight and is confused as to where these Holy powers are coming from. Then at level 3 nature shit starts happening and they seek out the source of their power and go to the Fey and make a pact with a Giant Bug!
>>
>>50242497
>Good DMs don't make balanced encounters, they change shit on the fly for better story telling and dramatic flair.
>Good DMs change shit on the fly for better story telling and dramatic flair.
Bahahahahaha!
This is literally the thing that has made for the WORST campaigns I've ever played. I know *ONE* GM who can do this without it being a steaming pile of shit.

Been GMing since 1999. People like my games (Sandbox with advance prep and lots of custom tables), and I never do this.

>>50242216
You do need a basic understanding of probabilities if you're going to prep a campaign yourself. Not so much if you run from a book.

>>50242497
>DMing, and D&D, is about Storytelling. If you want stats and probability go play an actual War-Game.
This is a joke right?

Yes, improv skills are required to GM. No that does not mean you should not prep anything. Prep smarter. If you're going to Improv skill DCs, you need to have a good handle on benchmark DCs for each skill. If you're going to homebrew monsters (or worse, improv them) you need to have a good understanding of the stat patterns on both the PC and Monster side.

>>50242548
>Dice roll (and thus math) is a part of D&D story telling. Unless you play in a dice roll less game, if you can't get probability right, your story will be shit.
This. right here. 100%

>>50242745
>you need to know how probability work to actually do improvision.
>You need to know how probability work to guage the success rate of the party.
True Fax

>give them approiate DC and CR challenge for your players.
Woah woah woah. back up, no. DCs need to be consistent for the situation at hand, not autoscaled by level so they never get more competent. As for CR, True Fax.

>you need to know how math work to give out a suitable reward.
Yep.

>Randomly improvise stuff base on your guts feeling is bad. It will make thing go wrong, which mean you have to throw more improvision and it turn into a vicious cycle.
100%.
>>
>>50243669

All domains are fine because cleric is the best class.
>>
>>50242862
Wait, you no longer take up additional squares, or have reach, or anything?

Ugh.
>>
>>50242623
More needed.
>>
>>50243724
okay, so I only have to (or am able to) read and pick out of "players Handbook.pdf" and "Volo's Guide to Monsters.pdf" from OP's mega link, right?
>>
>>50242862

Wrong.

Enlarge makes you Large sized, extra damage, Advantage of grappling.
>>
>>50243054
>what type of noses do goblinoids have
>bugbear
>bear
Bear
>>
>>50243890
>cleric is the best class.
I will not agree with you, but cleric is a candidate for best class
>>
>>50243905

You can also use the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide though there's not much useful in there for bards unless you really want to be a valor bard and use the blade singer cantrips. But yes, your choice for any AL character is basically:

-PHB

And ONE of the following:

-VGtM

-SCAG

-EE

backgrounds are exempt from the PHB+1 rule. Volo's races must join a faction from a limited list if they're in the AL.
>>
>>50243952
What is the best class?

I really like Paladin and Revised Ranger
>>
>>50243965
Wizard Bard Cleric Paladin are all perfect classes IMO.

Flavorful and do exactly what they should be able to do, with a mix of combat effectiveness, utility, and versatility.
>>
File: 1478820807918.jpg (231KB, 748x672px) Image search: [Google]
1478820807918.jpg
231KB, 748x672px
>>50243965

The best class is the one you find the most fun.
>>
File: sound effects.png (363KB, 453x471px)
sound effects.png
363KB, 453x471px
This is the best racial trait.
>>
File: dwarvesz.jpg (61KB, 400x267px)
dwarvesz.jpg
61KB, 400x267px
>>50243307
Mountain Dwarves are the classic Shield Dwarves of past editions.

Hill Dwarves are the Gold Dwarves. They're shorter, browner.

They both do all the stereotypical dwarfy thing. They both predominantly live underground, but as >>50243402 said, Mountain Dwarves like mountains and Hill Dwarves like just going down (though they do live in mountains).

People have this perception that the Hill / Gold Dwarves wander the surface more often and are friendlier as a result, but that's completely backwards. Most of the surface settlements currently listed in 5E adventures (both those that have fallen and those that still stand) are predominantly Mountain Dwarf, while the old 2E / 3E lore for Gold (Hill) Dwarves say they travel the surface LESS, are BIGGER assholes to people, and generally don't give a shit about the outside world. It's the Mountain / Shield Dwarves that have the big surface-wandering population, but even those guys are considered weirdos by the majority of Mountain Dwarves who are perfectly happy to stay deep inna mountains at all times.

Hill Dwarves are obscenely rich, have fewer problems with roving orc army assholes and security in general, have way more wealth, are shorter, darker-skinned, and are absolutely covered in gold. Did I mention they're rich? Because that's their defining attribute. They're all fucking loaded and up their own asses about status, good breeding, and dressing like a fine motherfucker. They can name their ancestors going back to the first Dwarves who stepped out of the magical interplanetary portal that spat them out on Faerun. They tend to look down on others who aren't as haughty and noble as them. Mountain Dwarves look at all their austentatious jewelry and adornments (even gold-inlaid weaponry) as a waste, and the Hill Dwarves are like, "Fuck that, I wipe my ass with gold leaf." Hill Dwarves also hold grudges for-fucking-ever.
>>
>>50243753
>What? Certain classes are MAD because they need more than one attribute to be high
>like paladins, certain clerics, certain warlocks, valor bards, etc
Yes. I understand the definition.
Hence the question: What approaches would you suggest to rebalance classes so they can function with the same number of good stats rather than some needing many more than others?
>>
>>50243983
We banned fun at our table for being obviously the superior option in most cases.
>>
>>50243991
can - YOU - *hear* - Me?
>>
>>50243974
>Wizard Bard Cleric Paladin are all perfect classes IMO
This

I would choose a paladin over any other melee option

Wizards are just better than Sorcerers

Clerics are just very strong

Bards are so versatile its not even funny

I would add druid to the list too, tho
>>
Also 5eg is where mostly everyone can equally contribute, so people don't need to play on their phones while others are rekting shit.
>>
>>50244005
How many is skills does it take to be MAD? I assume 3.

Create Cantrips that work like Druid Shillelagh or Magic Stone.
>>
File: 1425094111164.png (10KB, 381x205px) Image search: [Google]
1425094111164.png
10KB, 381x205px
>>50243991
>Fem paladin starts raising kenku from an egg
>All it ever makes are female moaning noises
>Can't tell if the little shitbird is just annoying her of it's genuine
>>
>>50243893
Size do increase. No reach.
>>
>>50243893
There are no Large-sized player races. All of them are Medium but can carry and push/pull/lift like a large creature.

This is because in 5e, Large NPCs with appropriate-sized weapons deal twice the damage die of a Medium-sized weapon (4d6 for a greatsword instead of 2d6). And that would be really dumb for official player races.
>>
>>50243871
That sounds fun.
I've been playing my Warlock of Zuggtmoy as a "druid" in polite society, only getting up to particularly Fiendish mischief out of sight or not leaving witnesses.
>>
>>50244045
Yeah, I'd probably say If you need 3+, you've for MAD.

>>50244045
>Cantrips that help negate your ability to need a particular stat.
Hmm. That might work.
>>
>>50244005
There isn't really a way, and there shouldn't be a way to do that.

A Paladin is MAD because they are really good. They are very broad in their application, and as such they should need more attributes than other classes.

They cast spells and fight in melee and take damage all at once, so they need three attributes (STR CON CHA).

A Druid, for example, really only needs WIS because he mostly just casts spells. A Moon druid can fight in melee and such, yes, but their forms take care of stats for them

>>50244045
Shillelagh is a good example of removing a need for MAD. A Nature Cleric could take Shillelegh and only really need to worry about Wis, a Tomelock could take Shillelegh and only need to worry about CHA.
>>
>>50243905
Yeah, Adventurer's League has a per-character cap of the PHB plus one additional valid source (so VGtM in this case if you want to play one of those races).

Also keep in mind that you will be forced to have a certain angle on your backstory and be restricted to what faction you can be involved with by using a VGtM race--see the attached PDF for details.
Not really a big deal, but just something to know.
>>
>>50244034
Druids have pretty decent healing abilities, they know their full spell list at all times, are inarguably the best tanks in the game, the best spies, scouts, and have the best blasting spells (for what that's worth). Topped off with the fact that a one-level dip in one of any number of other classes (rogue, barbarian, monk) essentially allow them to overtake that class's role, and you've got one hell of a multitasker.
>>
>>50242633
Half Ogre
Wildren/Killoren
Thri-Kreen (Let's get Athasian up in here)
Kalashtar (For the turning of the age)
Caliban (surprised this wasn't in Ravenloft)
Mule (Half Dwarf)
Hadozee
Scro
Giff

revisions/full publishing of things already in play test
Warforged (With Subraces for WF Scout, Psiforged and maybe plating?)
Krynn Minotaur
Shifter (maybe give them some more scaling for shifting?)
Revenant (rules for making one out of a half elf or half orc, to say nothing of every other race newly introduced without a subrace. Seriously even without the Rev flavor its a nice way to play the undead. Can especially see this being used for playing a Karnathi Skeleton or Aerenal Undying Court member in Eberron)
Changeling

Subraces-
Athas Elves
Athas Dwarves
Athas Halflings
Kender as a Halfling or Gnome Subrace
Daelkyr Half Blood as a subrace thing similar to Revenant
Sea Elves
Dhampir as a subrace things similar to Revenant
>>
>>50244114
>are inarguably the best tanks in the game
I prefer land druid tho

> the best blasting spells (for what that's worth)
What are the best blasting spells in your opinion?

>one-level dip in one of any number of other classes (rogue, barbarian, monk) essentially allow them to overtake that class's role
Could you elaborate?
>>
>>50244079
The issue with Shillelagh is that it states "The wood of a club or quarterstaff..." which is limiting of course.

Also Paladins and Rangers don't get Cantrips, I kinda consider Rangers to be MAD if they are melee, especially since Revised Ranger basically makes the argument for fighting in the front lines with d10 HitDie, Medium Armour and Shield Profs. Monks are also probably MAD and they don't have Cantrips. Not sure what you'd do for those 3.
>>
>>50244065
>No Large-sized player races.
>In 5e, Large NPCs with appropriate-sized weapons deal twice the damage die of a Medium-sized weapon.
Ouch. Well, that sucks. Gonna make it real hard to have playable Ogres, Minotaurs, Trolls, Werebears/Werelions, and Dragonkin, let alone the sort of unusual campaigns I sometimes have run like a campaign of Devils in the 9 Hells, or a game where the party are all playing as dragons.
>>
>>50244114
I like how Druid can set up a perfect crime.

> mual people as a bear, kill them via poison or eat them as giant toad
> no murder weapon found
> wild shape meld any items you stole into your body.
> +17 stealth from level 3
> Crag cat form... no divination magic can find you
>>
>>50242633
Hi Mike Mearls. Hope you are having a good evening. Can we get a Dark Sun Adventure soon?
>>
Can a 5e druid wildshape into a swarm? Would this be unbalanced?
>>
>>50244172
M Y S T A R A
>>
>>50244143
Not him... but I think conjure animal is the best blasting spell.
>>
>>50244181
I don't think they can do Swarms, but i don't have RAW to back that up.
>>
Hey lads, what's the consensus on the new Barbarian stuff?

I'm going to be playing a Firbolg on a quest from his god/tribe, and though I was going to play a Cleric or Druid of some sort, that divine barbarian seems really flavorful. I'm just not sure if it's actually any good.
>>
>>50244193
>conjure animal is the best blasting spell.
Well, when I think "blasting", a fireball comes to mind, not conjuring a group of wolves. But if you consider blasting = spells that deal tons of damage, yeah, its a pretty strong blasting spell
>>
>>50242633
Could we get setting supplements or terrain supplements instead.
>>
>>50244181
>>50244194
Pretty sure, you can't. Since wild shape use singular when talking about beast.
>>
>>50242633
Ignore >>50244172. We all really want an urban sandbox campaign path centered in the factions of Sigil. Thank you Mr. Mearls. Have a good night.

>>50242633
>What races do you want in an official writeup?
Gnolls. Drow with magic resistance. Tiefling/Aasimar bloodlines.
Playable large creatures - particularly ogres, ogre-magi, full-on large-sized man-eating minotaurs, and classic cult-of-the-dragon style Dragon Kin. Large, breath weapons, dragon abilities, wings.
>>
>>50244172
Sorry, no Mearls, just some anon who wants more races.

>>50244189
Oh, I wish! Aranea, Lupins and Rakasta were great races, would love to see them come back.
>>
>>50244210
Zealot? People seem to be okay with it. I think the Second 3rd level feature is useless because no one is casting resurrection spells at level 3. The final ability seems really cool and basically means you go out with a bang.

I prefer the Spirit Guardian thing, but I think a Barbarian with a bunch of ghosts hanging around is just cool. Theming characters to be about Ghosts is really cool imo, not Necromancy, just Ghost stuff. Pathfinder has a monk Subclass called "Hungry Ghost Monk" I want to play it based on the name alone. I never even looked at the abilities.
>>
>thri-kreen, the goblin, and the aasimar at the top
>The next most popular tier of races includes catfolk, devas, githyanki, githzerai, gnolls, half-giants, hobgoblins, kender, kobolds, lizardfolk, pixies, and revenants

So of the top ones, thri-kreen are left to stat out (probably left for the eventual Dark Sun adventure/book). I doubt devas are going to come back when you could just play aasimar and have that covered mechanically. Githyanki and githzerai could be for Planescape, kender is obviously for Dragonlance (if that ever happens), and half-giants are pretty firmly covered by goliaths and firbolgs.

So they've already covered the vast selection of top races from the gigantic "what do you want to see" survey.
>>
>>50244249
> furry
> femdom fetish
> vore fetish
> transformation fetish
> scalies

You can in a the wrong thread brah.
>>
>>50244276
Oh, and gnolls for Eberron, obviously. And if they goblinoids could get a second pass to make them less monstrous to fit with the setting's lore I'd love that, too.
>>
>>50244210
I'm bummed that there is no spellcasting barb. I would've expected a "zealot" archetype to have some minor cleric spells they could cast while raging or something.
>>
>>50244281
>Everything is fetish fuel
My god do I ever pity you for the interactions you must have had with a bunch of assorted weirdo fetishists.

Maybe I just like monstrous races for non fetish reasons. Shocking, I know.
>>
>>50244099
This seems more like flavour text to get you in their mindset than hard rules for character backgrounds. Kenku just has a stream of Kenku nonsense for one thing.
>>
>>50244330
You mean like the PF Bloodrager or Skald?
>>
>>50244330

I've wanted a magic barb for a while myself, and while the UA barbs aren't quite what I envisioned, after giving it some thought, I quite like them, especially the fury of the storm barb.
>>
>>50244330
>no spellcasting paladin barb
Champion of Gwynharwyf but not retarded please
>I get mad for the LORD
>>
>>50243964
So, I'm reading about Yuan-tis, and for clarity's sake: If I make my character one, what constrictions exist on caste? Would it be frowned upon if I showed up as a level 1 Yuan-ti bard who was already an Anathema / partial Anathema? If it's an option, I'd love to be my own quartet.
>>
>>50244330
>>50244370
>Divine barbarian that worships a god that was betrayed by another god/god(s), and was killed
>Whenever the barbarian rages, he channels the wrath of his dead god, harnessing the fleeting remnants of divine power left in the world after his god's death

Pretty cool desu
>>
>>50244005
Aside from Blade-pact Warlock (and perhaps Monk) I wouldn't say any of the other MAD options suffer over-much in 5e. There are effectively competency floors, so as long as you're not obviously bad at your core abilities or functions it becomes more about deciding how to compromise or specialize as you advance the character.

Blade pact is more unique in that it absolutely *needs* certain things to work properly, while other MAD classes can better deal with not excelling at everything. And Monk's a bit worse off than general MAD classes, but in a more conditional fashion.
IMO you could 'fix' Monk just by giving it one more Ability Score Increase, or with the addition of pretty much any third-level feature so it has less baked-in growing pains.
>>
>>50244379
The player race stats in VGM are for yuan-ti purebloods only.
>>
>>50244379

A Yuan-Ti playable character must be a pureblood, that's what those stats are. Nothing prevents you from being a throat singer who can be their own quartet though.
>>
>>50244358
Skald would be good, or something akin the the PF "Rage Prophet"
>>
>>50244444
There's someone playing a Blade Pact Warlock in my group. Plz explain so I know what to look for before things spiral out of control for him.
>>
What classes can dip into Bard 5, College of Lore?

I'm looking at Paladin, Fighter, and Cleric right now.
>>
>>50244478

A bladlock primarly needs:

-high str/dex whatever their offense is

-some way to get a high AC. Starting off as a fighter is usually the best way to do this. Temp HP also helps.

-depending on their pact, a high cha can be useful too.
>>
Betlyn's Blood Blade
Weapon (Longsword), very rare (requires attunement)

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic sword.

[Blade of Blood.] This sword has 4 charges. While holding it, you can use a bonus action to expend 1 charge and speak this sword's command word before making an attack; if the attack is successful, the target's blood clings to the sword's blade, imbuing a supernatural sharpness to its edge. Alternatively, you may choose to activate this ability upon yourself, sacrificing 5 hit points in the process. While this enchantment is in effect, you gain a further +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this sword, and it deals an extra 1d8 slashing damage to any target it hits. The enchantment lasts for 5 rounds, or until you use a bonus action to speak the command word again or until you drop or sheathe the sword. Alternatively, you may prevent the enchantment from expiring by expending additional charges, adding 5 rounds to its duration per charge spent. The sword regains 1d3 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn

[Betlyn's Burning Blood.] Once per day, while the Blade of Blood enchantment is in effect, you can use a bonus action to speak a second command word, causing the blood to ignite and wreathing the sword in flame. While the sword is ablaze, it deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to any target it hits in addition to the extra damage granted by the Blade of Blood effect. The flames last until the Blade Blood effect expires.
>>
>>50244340
Denying your own fetish is unhealthy anon. Embrace it. No one is normal.
>>
>>50244513
And CON for not-dying, because they don't have a decent way of doing that normally
>>
>>50244513
Dex undying light rapier bladelock with GFB.

Boom, now you don't need any of the other invocations and you get some healy stuff.
>>
>>50244491
I had a Paladin(Crown) and Bard(Lord) he took up the mantle of Steward for an ancient dwarven kingdom and worked to rebuild it. Thematically so good. Also Bard is really fun cause you can be creative as to how you cast spells.

All my Bard spells came from an ancient Dwarven Poem that i found in the aforementioned ruin(That was when i multiclassed). I wrote out a page that was one long Poem made of 5 vereses, each verse was a Haiku. I would say a line of a Haiku to cast certain Bard Spells.

Also it worked pretty well cause i had Lay on Hands which refreshed on short rests, and Song of Rest which boosted short rest healing. It was a good time. Plus i had like 18 AC and a fuckton of HP since i was a dwarf.

He didn't make it past level 6 though. I was pretty sad.
>>
How would you guys recommend utilizing find steed as a paladin without mounted combat? Without the feat it seems pretty counter intuitive. The mount lets you run away but as a paladin you want to be in the thick of things. Would it be best to charge into battle, get some mounted hits, and then dismount and let a war horse go trample people and knock them prone? Ironically is a steed most effective in combat when it is not mounted?
>>
>>50244379
>not being your own hype man

https://youtu.be/f5mVNRsedbY?t=1m40s
>>
Never played a Druid in any edition,

Whats the best forms to change into? I'm going to be a Moon druid. level 3 atm
>>
>>50244348
Yeah, like I said it's all just different ways of framing your characterization, but most of them do also preclude some concepts or backgrounds.

>Kenku just has a stream of Kenku nonsense for one thing.
It's not nonsense at all: it tells you that your character would choose the adventuring life while viewing themselves as a sort of romanticized drifter. Or at least that's how they present it--either preferring to or unable to settle in one place for long.
It shapes what does and doesn't make sense as a Background, or for Traits/Bonds/etc.
>>
>>50244601
Brown Bear
Dire Wolf
Giant Spider

That's pretty much it.
>>
File: cragcat.png (588KB, 328x1206px)
cragcat.png
588KB, 328x1206px
>>50244601
A crag cat from SKT.
Good luck finding one first.
>>
What do you guys think about inspiring leader? Worth it on one member of the party with good cha? The temporary hit points really seem to add up if you just give speeches every time your party has a moment of rest
>>
>>50244592
>start off as fighter

fighter 2 / Rogue 1 / Bard 3 / Paladin 14

I get all the expertise's from bard/rogue right? So 4 expertise.
>>
>>50244601
DINOSAURS!

no but seriously, Dinosaurs. And Volo's Monster Guide added some lower CR Dinosaurs so you could do a whole Dinosaur Themed character!

I would make it like the Dinosaur Cultist from Pathfinder.

>Dinosaur Cultist Initiation
The character must survive the test of meat by allowing a tyrannosaurus (or similar large dinosaur) to swallow him whole. The prospective cultist must then begin praying to the dinosaur god for acceptance. Each round the cultist remains inside the dinosaur’s gizzard, he suffers normal gizzard damage and must make a level check (modified by his Wisdom modifier, DC 20) to be heard by the dinosaur god. Failure indicates nothing happens but the prospective cultist may attempt the level check again next round. Success indicates that the dinosaur god has heard the cultist’s pleas and accepts him as a new cultist; the tyrannosaurus immediately regurgitates the new cultist, cleans him off with its tongue, then leaves him in peace to serve the dinosaur god.

Make your character know about The Test of Meat and actively trying to pursue it.

Bears are also good. Turn into a spider and go under doors and map out the whole dungeon for the party.
>>
>>50244623
It's solid, especially if you have a big party

Even if you're only giving +6 HP to everyone, if you're giving that to six people that's 36hp total
>>
Which bard is the best choice if I dont want to go melee?
or simply Glamor or lore?
>>
What are the cutest in 5e?
>>
File: 1425428861696.gif (363KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1425428861696.gif
363KB, 480x270px
>>50244645
>Dinosaur God
Is he the deity of the early 90's, who takes the form of a humanoid triceratops wearing pink shutter shades and BMXing off a "sick ramp"?
>>
>>50244445
>>50244448
shucks, oh well. Moving on: How many traits do I get to claim?
>>
File: 5e pixies.png (741KB, 524x562px) Image search: [Google]
5e pixies.png
741KB, 524x562px
>>50244660
>>
>>50244678
>How many traits do I get to claim?
Depends on what you mean by "traits."
>>
>>50244676
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wfuz7FfM-I
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX0S03s8TsU

Also with Volos you could make it a Lizardfolk for extra theming.
>>
>>50244688
Well, I'm seeing Chameleon skin, shape-changer, and Shed skin in Volo's guide, which presumably I get to pick from. afterwards, I guess I'll find bard traits in PHB?
>>
File: ka the preserver.png (629KB, 1021x1331px)
ka the preserver.png
629KB, 1021x1331px
>>50244676
>>50244645
>forgetting about Ka
>>
>>50244724
Those are for DMs to customize NPCs with. The yuan-ti pureblood player race is on page 120.

Follow the 1st chapter of the PHB while making your character.
>>
>>50244729
Is that spider Reggie Fils-Aime?
>>
>>50244724
Those aren't traits for PC's. You only get the stuff on page 120. As for your class traits, those are called features.
>>
why are tinkers tools 50gp
>>
>>50244747
Yes. He is a benevolent trickster deity and one of the most powerful of all the Immortals. He just wants to play (non-harmful) tricks on people to shatter their sense of complacency and shock them into thinking about the world and existence in general. He's a rad spider-dude.
>>
>>50244747
Yes and he's well known for his web only promotional videos
>>
>>50244729
What are the fuck is up with those ability scores?
>>
>>50244771
He's an Immortal, more or less the Gods of the Mystara setting. Also it's AD&D (1E) / BECMI, so everything is fucking nuts.
>>
>>50244735
>>50244750
gotcha, gotcha, sorry for being slow. And, to be certain: I'm getting all ofwhat I'm looking at on page 120, under pure-bloods?
>>
>>50244800
>I'm getting all ofwhat I'm looking at on page 120, under pure-bloods?
Correct.
>>
>>50244797
They completely reined that in for subsequent editions.
>>
File: 1471241607642.png (201KB, 539x503px) Image search: [Google]
1471241607642.png
201KB, 539x503px
Is it possible to make a sneaky, roguish spellcaster? I was looking into taking Arcane Trickster for my Rogue when I hit level three, though I worry about my usefulness compared to the rest of the party as I am restricted to Enchantment and Illusions spells, and limited to 4th levels spells at the most even then.
>>
>>50244836
To add on, I am not looking to be combat heavy, it would just be nice to have more wide ranging choices when it comes to helping myself and the rest of the people in my party.
>>
>>50244836
>I worry about my usefulness compared to the rest of the party as I am restricted to Enchantment and Illusions spells, and limited to 4th levels spells at the most even then.
You're still a rogue with all the mobility and skills that gives you. You can even boost your melee damage if you take Booming Blade or Green-Flame Blade as one of your cantrips. Then you've got magic utility stuff on top of that.
>>
>>50244836
It's still pretty good. Don't forget you're getting that ON TOP of all the base rogue features, which are great imo. Take Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade as one of your cantrips and use this to see which spells you can take: http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/

Sleep is great for the lower levels, Disguise Self is great forever, Tasha's Hideous Laugther is awesome if you have decent Int... And you get some other pick too, for which I suggest Find Familiar.
>>
>>50244836
Dude. Dude. You can make an invisible magic hand to pick pockets from a distance. You can even put things into other people's pockets. I would just put rats into people's pockets and see what happens.
>>
>>50244848
>>50244873
Regarding Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade. I'm locked into the Wizard spell lists, most of the sources I've looked at do not show these two to be cantrips I can take on the Wizard spell list. I'm pretty new to D&D so I could just be dumb and unable to find a source for it.
>>50244874
That's pretty funny, I never thought of it that way. I had planned on taking Sleep before. Honestly I don't have much of a need to take Arcane Trickster, though I feel it fits my character's motivations very well. I have a Warlock and Cleric in my party also.
>>
>>50244939
BB and GFB are in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. That added a few subclasses and three new cantrips for wizards, sorcerers, and warlocks, including those two. They're great for any melee rogue since they never get Extra Attack.
>>
>>50244939

Booming blade and Green Flame blade are wizard cantrips from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
>>
>>50244964
>>50244968
Alright, thanks a ton. I'll definitely look into taking one of them despite trying to gear myself towards legality only when absolutely necessary.
>>
>>50244156
Could do the "Enlarge Person" balancing route.
"You are large, but not as big as an ogre, your enlarged weapons only deal an additional 1d4 damage over their medium counterparts."
>>
>>50244939
If you want more utility, that's pretty much what AT does. Grab Disguise Self, Charm Person, Sleep/Color Spray, maybe Silent Image, etc.
>>
Where's the higher tier shit, brahs? And when would we get it?
>>
>>50242613
Newbie Question: What is pfg?
>>
>>50245066
Higher tier of what?
>>
>>50245080
Plant fucker general, one of the many long-running threads on /trash/. No one knows why they hate us so, or why they have made war upon us.
>>
File: i love pathfinder.png (349KB, 1600x491px) Image search: [Google]
i love pathfinder.png
349KB, 1600x491px
>>50245080
Pathfinder General, a wretched hive of scum and villainy.
>>
>>50244444
Monks could justifiably fit a couple extra ASIs at level 10+, they have several points without much in the way of useful class features.
>>
>>50245087
Higher level/CR shit.

>>50245080
Piece of fucking gshit.
>>
>>50245080
Pfurry Fucker General.
>>
DMs, lets say you let a character find an egg that hatches into a dragon, chimera, or something like that. What kind of rolls would you make the player do to "domesticate" it?
>>
>>50244836
>>50244939
You could always just be a full-caster with the Criminal background if you wanted to be a spellcaster with a dash of Rogue, rather than the other way around.

Make sure you're proficient in stealth and thieves’ tools, and there you go.
>>
>>50245096
>>50245096
>>>50245080
>Pathfinder general, one of the many long-running threads on /trash/. No one knows why they hate us so, or why they have made war upon us.
Hate you? War? Please elaborate.

Most of the time I'm in /tg/ I just camp pfg and 5eg.

Why would my liking Pathfinder (despite it's issues) mean I would want to wage war on people who like 5e (which has different issues).
>>
>>50245192
Nature, Animal Handling and then the Charisma skill of your choice depending on how you want your relationship to be
>>
>>50245251
Admittedly some of the people in /pfg/ are creepy furshits.
>>
>>50245192
I'd go knowledge nature for when their born then go with handle animal checks for non self aware monster domestication. Players get the choice of pursuasion, intimidate, or deception for those monsters with self awareness. I'd mix roleplaying and rolls to show how good/bad of a parent and their choice of roll would help determine the personality. Those who don't roleplay are treated as distant or uncaring by their adopted monster child.
>>
Lost Mine of Phandelver - DMReward Certificates
>>
St. Patricks Day 2015 - DMReward Certificates
>>
File: Rogue Modrons.png (471KB, 981x273px) Image search: [Google]
Rogue Modrons.png
471KB, 981x273px
>>50244660
>>
Hoard of the Dragon Queen - DMReward Certificates
>>
>>50244836
I wouldn't consider Arcane Trickster to be a spellcaster, it's more of a martial with some extra utility magic. Any spellcaster can be sneaky with the appropriate background, typically Criminal/Spy, Urchin, or Charlatan.

Any of the full casters can be good choices, but I find Druid the most compelling for stealth.
>>
Tyranny of Dragons - DMReward Certificates
>>
Elemental Evil - DMReward Certificates
>>
Princes of the Apocalypse - DMReward Certificates
>>
Out of the Abyss - DMReward Certificates
>>
>>50245192
Raising such a monster is definitely going to be an adventure, so any number of rolls will be made. I'd probably start with a Stealth or Survival check to infiltrate the hidden jungle temple that contains the secrets of monster taming. If they fail the check, they can still get in but there may be some traps or combat involved, which means more rolling, and so on and so forth. They'll be gaining levels and growing alongside the creature they're working to train.
>>
Rage of Demons - DMReward Certificates
>>
>>50245251
>>50245293
The majority of pfg is creepy shit and undeniably filled with creeps.
>>
Curse of Strahd - DMReward Certificates
>>
Misty Fortunes & Absent Hearts DMReward Certificates
>>
Anyone play the "monster hunter" from this UA?

Looks pretty neat. I was going to make a Crossbow-using battlemaster but this seems like that with some magic and more utility.
>>
>>50245405
Fair enough.

I go there to discuss Pathfinder products and character builds and homebrew, just like I come here to discuss 5e products and builds and homebrew.
>>
>>50245432
Your a chill dude though.
>>
>>50242551
bugbear battlemaster monk my man
>>
Due to story reasons my Half Orc Barbarian will soon get the chance to switch from Path of the Berserker to Zealot. Should I do it?
>>
>>50245546
Is Zealot some sort of UA or homebrew path and where can I find it?
>>
I want to bump zombies up from 1/4 CR to 1/2 CR. Is sticking some old armor on them and giving them a sword overkill?
>>
>>50245478
Generally, yeah.

I still don't know what war that other anon is talking about.

If he just means the presence of creepy furshits, well, I've got news for you. Creepy furshits are all over /tg/. just ignore their creepy posts and carry on discussing traditional games.

Been trying to get peg difference in character number curves in 5e, to compare with pf rpg, and see if I can't come up with at least a "quick and dirty" set of guidelines to run pf adventures in 5e, and convert on the fly. It's obviously not simply plug and play like pf+3e, but we'll see what I can come up with.
>>
>>50245634
*note, I realize adapting pf stuff to the 5e paradigm would take additional work, but all in looking for is quick and dirty rules to make the challenges not overwhelming and figure out roughly how much xp it would be worth.

Hoping i can use like, a cheat sheet with a table instead of converting everything over in advance.
>>
>>50245634
>>50245656
What if you use them as is and don't convert a thing?
>>
>>50245634
5eg is PURE! PURE!!
>>
I wanted to give my setting's Mountain Dwarf equivalents a flavor feature for wearing their armor as often as possible.

Historically they were a warrior class, but turned to industrialism and arms dealing as they became richer and less-inclined to fight for themselves. They wear armor, ceremonial or functional, as sort of a fashion statement/reminder to themselves and others of what they used to be.

Does the following overly-functional? I figure it's not excessively good, but helpful:
> You are Proficient with Medium Armor. When
wearing Medium or Heavy Armor, you have Advantage on any Charisma (Intimidate) check made
against a target with a lower Armor Class than you.
>>
What would be a fitting Chainlock companion for an Undying Light Warlock? (Aasimar if that matters)
>>
>>50245668
Enemy AC, Attack bonuses, save dc's, saves, and task dc's will all be far too high, for starters.

Any fight with multiple opponents would also likely be of a much different difficulty than it was in pf.

Damage and hp, however, seem to scale at least somewhat similarly to in 5e.

In short, everything would be wonky and hard to predict how it would work out, even after accounting for the much higher scaling accuracy and defense, without further research.
>>
>>50245631
Armor works fine and bumping up the damage makes them slightly tougher. You could also give them an extra bite attack of 1D4+2 with +3 attack mod, if the zombie succeeds on the zombie slap. You could even have the players roll a DC 13 con save if bite. Failing means they catch sewer plauge. This could go wrong if players thinks they are getting zombified with no way out.
>>
>>50245697
> Does the following overly-functional?
It's like you stroked-out halfway through posting.

> Feature
It's fine. Unless you're running interaction-heavy games, interaction bonuses might as well be ribbons.
>>
>>50245567
It is.
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Barbarian.pdf
>>
>>50245718
I'd say a lantern archon, but they don't have stats yet as far as I know. So get a Sprite and fluff it as a lantern archon.
>>
File: navi.jpg (6KB, 205x210px) Image search: [Google]
navi.jpg
6KB, 205x210px
>>50245718
Obnoxious sprite
>>
>>50245718
A grumpy, rotund imp that bitches at you constantly for using Unearthed Arcana choices.
>>
>>50245668
Additionally, there's not one simple scale of numbers in pf like there is in 5e.

In pf (and 3.x), attack/ac are on one scale, skill dc's are on another scale (I'd argue each skill was on its own scale, unfortunately, the dc's for skills do not seem well thought out. For some skills you want to max them out, for others anything more than a +10 (out of a potential skill proficiency bonus of +23 before feats and class features are taken into account is basically just wasted points (consider survival vs persuasion, for instance).) and then power DC's and saves scale on a third number scale.

So, those numbers need to be converted, at bare minimum, and I feel a conversion table is probably the quickest way to do that.

In case you are about to ask, I'm far less familiar with 4e, and how much you'd need to change to make their monsters work in 5e.
>>
>>50245727

Thanks, basically I want them to be zombified tomb guards for an ancient crypt, so some armor and weapons made sense. I realize though I can just give them a shortsword and it will do the same amount as their default slam attack.
>>
>>50245742
Zealot is pretty neat, rage ability is good for a bit of crowd control not to many things get necromantic or radient resistance. Also with being brought back from death for a spell minus components means as long as the party has a way to retreive your body death is less of a problem. Of course if your DM doesn't put the squeeze on you to often this choice kinda eh. Upside is you rage doesn't exhaust you.
>>
>>50245668
Oh, and thirdly:

The design paradigm for monsters is quite different in 3.x.

In 3.x, a PC as an enemy is CR level+1. The monsters are designed to fit the same approximate scale as the PCs.

This means monsters have much less health. I'm unsure about the damage, I'm working on that.

But in 3.x, you are often encouraged to run encounters with several enemies by default. Because monsters tend not to have a ton of hp for their level (same as a pc of that level), you tend to use higher CR monsters as bosses, like CR=level+2 or 3, and even then you want to stick to monsters with awesome action economy or tons of aoes if you're running them without any backup/sidekicks.

So, tl;dr: there are some things you can't get around converting or the adventures will be impossible, and others you might get away with (though it would play differently than normal 5e).
>>
>>50245668
And that's encounters and skill dc's.

For treasure and magic items? There are a ton of +numbers magic items. People routinely get +5 from their magic items to many many things in 3.x, because the monsters are designed assuming you will get a certain amount of +numbers magic items.
>>
Hey DMs, how feel about changing the fluff of spells to fit a character's backstory better but keeping them mechanically the same? I want to do that for my next character but I'm worried the DM may accuse me of being a munchkin.
>>
>>50245922
What do you want to do?
>>
>>50245859
I'm not sure i actually like the 5e design paradigm.

I like simplified monster creation rules, but I think I preferred when the numbers were in similar scales to equipped pcs.

I feel sufficiently strongly about this that I skipped buying a hard copy of the monster manual.

For now I'm using a pdf, but I may end up making all my own monsters (with pc-based number scaling instead) down the road.
>>
>>50241589
one of the few things I like from old D&D (that is, pre-3.5) is that DM's messing with characters was sort of expected. You could get awesome new powers or crippling curses,as the DM decided. Also, magic items tended to be much bigger game-changers.
>>
>>50245721
Well, if you understand monster math in 5e, it shouldn't be much of a problem converting. I don't know if you could get it down to a table, considering what was said of pf CR, but you could have a system. Begin by assuming that a creature of CR x is a moderate challenge to a party at level x. Then you work with the proficiency system, adjusting any crazy high stats.
>>
>>50245922
Example?

I might allow a pc to switch a damage type on a spell - but they would not know the normal version.
>>
>>50245951
I can guarantee that you'll waste a lot of time and your PCs will not care and breeze through your epic homebrew monsters. At least you'll have some other perceived slight from that to focus your autism on down the road.
>>
>>50245966
It's not that hard to sit down and convert it, I'd just like to be able to do so on the fly so as to not have to.
>>
>>50240764

Im downloading it through my browser right now but for whatever reason only the trove folder wouldn't download through megasync, weird
>>
>>50241768
I'm not sure if it works on creatures that have had their HP reduced.

If you think there aren't creatures with less than the average, ~22.5 HP or so, you're wrong.

At level 1 and 2, you can only deal 3d8 damage that can potentially miss instead of 5d8.
At level 3 and 4, you can only potentially 6d6 that can miss instead of 7d8.

It's a low level spell, and it works if you DON'T cast it against high HP targets.
Situational, but potentially quite powerful until about the time you hit level 5 and you could just fireball everything.
>>
>>50245932
>>50245977
>Thorn Whip=Cactus Whip
>Fog Cloud=Dust Cloud
>Moonbeam=Solar Beam
>Sleet Storm=Sand Storm
Just some things to make more sense for a desert druid, not really changing anything mechanically.
>>
>>50245922
If you're just changing and names and describing how the spell looks (good one you) that's fine just give me a list of what has been renamed with the new name in brackets. If you're changing damage types for attack spells I'd be a bit more hesitant. If it was magic missle for example, changing the damage from force to lightning or cold that is fine though I'd still have sheild (the spell) block it. Though I'd be more careful say switching fire to radient as less creatures are resistant to that though I may just bump the spell up a level or change damage dice to offset the change in power.
>>
>>50245922
>>50246044
That's how 5e work. You fluff stuff but leave them mechanically the same.
>>
>>50245951
What is it about 5e and the monster rules specifically?

Also, you don't have to convert everything literally, just eyeball.
>>
>>50245983
>pcs will not care about the different scale
Possibly, but they might:

>Might make it easier to run my many 3.x adventures in 5e.
>would definitely make it easier to use pregens as enemies, which could be handy, given I have friends who like to do 1-20 character builds for fun.
>PvP combat (which happens from time to time) won't play like a completely different game than PvE, from the players perspective.

>>epic homebrew monsters
I mostly use humanoid NPCs in my campaigns, actually. Monsters are more like an occasional change of pace.

>>other insults .
Good job. You sure showed me.
>>
>>50245922
Why not just ask the DM to help you make a custom spell so that you don't have to refluff?
>>
5e doesn't require an autistic appreciation of numbers.
>>
>>50244154
>Monks are also probably MAD and they don't have Cantrips. Not sure what you'd do for those 3.
Monks are no more MAD than Barbarians.

And remember, Wisdom is your armour. They NEED to be MAD, because once they have their two primary stats, Dex and Wis, at 20, they have a naked AC of 20. A monk with these stats is literally always equipped for combat, which is a flexibility that any other Martial cannot match, and they have both great damage and a lot of save-or-suck effects as well.

Couple it with the fact that they have the best saves in the game, these should not have an easy way of getting out of their MAD issue. I have played a monk, and GMed for a monk, and while they aren't the top dogs in a perfect scenario, they often seem to perform better anyway, purely for their insane utility and all - around amazing benefits.
>>
>>50245780
Undying light is totally fine

or do you just get upset about UA because of crippling autism
>>
>>50246111
>monks
>great damage

laughingmartials.jpg
>>
>>50246084
>what specifically don't you like about it
I'm not a fan of the fact that I can't easily pick up a pc-legal character and use it as an enemy for the party (I like having that option even if I don't want to be forced to take it).
And even if I do peg down where it would fiy in terms of cr/xp, it would play completely different from the other enemies in the game.
>>
>>50246044
Sounds totally reasonable.
Check with your DM anyway, but I don't see any reason you couldn't do that.
>>
>>50246109
Who is this directed at?
>>
>>50246144
So you're saying that you can't use other leveled chars against the pcs? Is there specifically a rule saying this? Cos I'll find it weird, especially how simplified and quick char creation is
>>
>>50246144
You certainly can if you know what you're doing. Check out the NPC section of statblocks in the back of Volo's - it's an NPC statblock for every standard class and archetype.
>>
>>50246175
Is not that Im incapable of doing so. It's that there hiccups in doing so.

Determining their CR, for instance, but also likely the (haven't tried it yet) jarring experience from the juxtaposition of the two different approaches in the same game.
>>
>>50246205
I'll have to reread volts then.

Are they legal playable characters? Are they on the same kind of number scale add pcs? Or do they have the high hp and such that immediately let you know they're not pcs?
>>
>>50246216
>Determining their CR
That's not hard at all. Just figure out their average damage per round, their AC and their HP and then consult.
>>
>>50246129
See that's why the imp is funny.
>>
>>50246224
Just go look at it yourself. Here's a quick example though; the Bard is a CR 2 with 44 HP, 15 AC and is a 4th level spellcaster. +4 to hit with their bow, 1d6+2 damage.
>>
File: i love the phb.png (196KB, 901x382px) Image search: [Google]
i love the phb.png
196KB, 901x382px
>>50246216
>haven't tried it yet
Look up hit points on chart (>>50246239). Compare AC to the AC listed next to it. Adjust for every two off from that it is. That's defensive CR.

Look up damage per round (highest average damage output, averaged over three rounds). Compare attack bonus/save DC to value listed next to it. Adjust for every two off from that it is. That's offensive CR.

Add them together, divide by two. There's your final CR. There are calculators like http://1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot.com/quick-monster-stats.html out there to make it quicker.

Some things adjust the effective HP/AC values there. Nonmagical BPS resistance multiplies effective HP by 2/1.5/1.25/1 based on the tier of CR you're shooting for. 3-4 saving throw proficiencies increase effective AC by 2. 5-6 increase it by 4.

That's the bare basics of it. Learn that as a 5e DM, try it out a bit like you would when making a character. It's not that difficult to learn if you actually try, and the CR and encounter difficulty systems do work decently. It starts around DMG pg. 275.
>>
>>50246224
They're not legal for PC's for a number of reasons. Their stats are dogshit, their HP is tweaked and they don't have full kit functionality because their statblocks would be too huge.

That said, if you understand what you're doing, you can turn a PC into an enemy combatant without changing a thing. You just have to recognize that they're going to be glass cannons compared to the average enemy statblock. Your players are likely going to blow through them far too fast unless the numbers are equal, and if it's a fair fight against DM-controlled NPCs then the difficulty of the fight depends entirely on how easy the DM wants to make it.
>>
Lack of gnoll wardens is sad.
>>
>>50246239
Oh, I guess, and then determine the damage.

But that's on an individual monster basis. Not as quick as Lv x = CR y.

>>50246252
>look yourself
On my phone right now, but I will later.

>bard stats.
>4th Lv caster.
>stats look little like a l4 bard.

Part of this frustration with the design paradigm comes from sometimes running PvP games.

>>50246266
I am familiar with that section. Was unfamiliar with the automated tool though. That might make it easier to see the cr of say, a defected PC, without trying to rebuild them as a character.
>>
To the pfg anon, you need to revise your thinking when it comes to 5e. It does a few things differently.
>>
>>50246286
>lv x = CR y
CR depends on too many variables for it to be that easy. A level 10 Champion is going to be -very- different for a party to kill compared to a level 10 Monk. Their CR just -isn't- the same.

>Bard
It's a 4th level caster with bloated HP and shitty, SHITTY ability scores. This is so that the players don't get nuked by a glass cannon. In order to balance the CR, they increased the defensive CR and decreased the offensive CR so that it meets up at the expected CR 4. By default, a level 4 bard would be.. Probably around offensive CR 6 and defensive CR 2? That's just spitballing, but you get the idea.
>>
>>50246267
>glass cannons by comparison
>you'll need equal numbers.
Yeah, expected that much.

>equal numbers means even fight, less tactics.

And I could use lower and higher level enemies against them.
>>
>>50246301
Actually, I glanced at the monster quick chart; a lvl 4 bard has a defensive CR of 1/8 and an offensive CR of around 3. That gives you a general idea of how things look.

A 4-man party of level 1 adventurers would beat the -shit- out of a level 4 bard, but he'd probably take half of them with him. That's not a very balanced fight, so in order to make it less frustrating, you get you see in Volo's.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (50KB, 487x260px)
Capture.jpg
50KB, 487x260px
If I get +CHA to Fire damage, and cast something like Fireball, would every enemy hit take 8d6 or half + CHA

I know for something like Scorching Ray, the + CHA only applies to one beam for whatever reason.

I should say I'm referring to the Undying Light Warlock's +CHA to fire and radiant, and not draconic sorc's
>>
>>50246298
Please explain what you mean.

>>50246301
Hmm. I see what you mean there , yeah.

I guess, for context, since our expectations seem quite different:

I typically run d&d games with lots of politics and several factions. Characters may be allies one week and enemies the next, depending on what the players are getting to do at the time and the NPCs goals. Pcs might abandon the party to become NPCs, two PCs might occasionally have conflicting allegiances that leads to a fight to the death.

I don't run too many coop PvP dngencrawls-though it does happen from time to time.
>>
>>50246356
5e and pf are designed with different design and end goals in mind.
You can't go into 5e with the pf way of designing things and vice versa. They belong to different fantasy genres.
>>
>>50246331
Yeah, and that's the thing I think I like least about 5e because of what I explained
>>50246356
Here.

Pcs have paper thin defenses and massive offensive power, while enemies are more or less the opposite.

Two NPCs fighting eachother both built to enemy specs would be a slog, and an npc built to pc specs would be rocket tag if they ever turned on the party.
>>
>>50246356
That sounds tedious to balance. I guess you could just run the PC's as straight enemies without changing their stats at all, but it's going to be an imbalanced clusterfuck. 5E isn't designed even slightly for PVP.
>>
>>50246393
I'm beginning to realize that.

But yeah. PvP and NPCs with shifting alliances is the reason I tend to want Heroes and enemies on similar offense/defense number scales.
>>
>>50246392
>Pcs have paper thin defenses and massive offensive power, while enemies are more or less the opposite.
That's not necessarily true, but it -is- the case if you're just throwing the players up against a single monster of an appropriate CR.

5E has a heroic bent to it. Players can soak a lot of the blows from NPCs and they can dish it out faster. It's a different feel from what you're trying to capture.

Have you considered trying something more akin to OSR? DCC, LotFP, LL and ACKS are all pretty good at less heroic, more gritty combat. There's no slogfests, and it's easy to turn PC's into NPC's.
>>
>>50246406
5E isn't the system you should be using.
>>
>>50246413
I started getting into it hoping for basically "Pathfinder with easier chargen and monster gen, and less number tracking".

But yeah, it's sounding like 5e might take some significant hacking before it could even attempt to do a good job handling a faction intrigue campaign. That's a shame.

I guess for the ~50% of the time that's the kind of campaign I want to run, I'm gonna have to stick to Pathfinder.

>>50246410
I'm not super familiar with most of the osr spinoff games, but have played ad&d and 2e and tunnels and trolls, and while I liked 2e okay, it was mostly for the setting material not the Mechanics. I felt 3.0 was still a significant step up from 2e, despite it's balance problems. Because I felt that way, I haven't looked too much at games designed to play like pre-3e.

>>50246410
>>
>>50232632

Bump?
>>
>>50246443
Dude see >>50246380
>>
>>50246444
I think we're in autosage
>>
>>50246443
It can do a good intrigue game. You just need to use relevant skills coupled with lots of dialogue.
>>
>>50246449
Well, now I have a solid answer for next time someone asks why you would want to run use instead of 5e, despite it's balance problems.

>>50246460
It can handle the skills and dialogue, sure. But apparently it's not very good at handling games with shifting loyalties.
>>
>>50246460
>>50246469
*shifting loyalties including combat
>>
>>50246469
>But apparently it's not very good at handling games with shifting loyalties.
What does this even mean?

You just don't want to put in the work to balance PCs as NPCs when they switch sides. That's not the system's fault at all.
>>
>>50246451
Well I'll try next thread as well I guess.
>>
If you're a Warlock - Sorcerer, can you convert Pact magic spell slots into sorcery points?
>>
>>50246495
Yes.
>>
>>50246482
Wait, so you're suggesting have two stat blocks/sheets for all characters?

How does it work if they change sides in a fight? (obvious problem case). As an ally they might have like 15hp, as an enemy they might have like 80.
>>
>>50246474
>>50246469
>>50246443
>>50246406
>>50246392
>>50246356
>>50246380
>>50246393
>>50246410
>>50246482

Could this not be more or less addressed by buffing PC hp up to monster ranges, and buffing monster damage up to pc ranges? Then you wouldn't have to redesign all the PC spells.
>>
So I saw this art and I decided that I must make a warforged brobot.
DM is letting us pointbuy. Whats the most party-friendly buff dispenser build one can do?
Wizard? Cleric? I can't do paladin because we've already got a paladin.
>>
File: JollyCooperation.png (3MB, 1920x1080px)
JollyCooperation.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>50246517
it's a level 6 campaign to start with also.
Thanks anons!
>>
>>50246509
Let's back up a little, first. I may not have the best grasp of this argument.

1. What outcome are you looking to achieve?
2. What outcomes are you looking to avoid?
3. How have you previously been handling these situations?
4. What are you hoping to remedy by switching to 5e?
>>
>>50246517
Buff dispensers and general cool guys: Lore Bard, Cleric, Divination Wizard, Banneret Fighter.
>>
>>50246501
Cool.

How would you lads do multi-classing a Warlock Sorcerer?

start sorcerer or lock? prioritize getting pact boon or meta-magic? Tome or Chain?

Going to do Undying Light - Favored Soul (GM loves UA). Favored soul I'm picking Life domain to act as a semi-healer as we don't have one

I never do Multi-classing so I'm not sure what to do

>>50246517
>>50246533

Cleric or Bard. Wizard and Sorcs can buff too, but Clerics can buff while also being the best healers and Bards can be fantastic skillers/utility too.

Bard Bot is a pretty absurd concept. If you're starting at level 6, Lore Bard would allow you to pick up two spells from any list, like mass healing word or revifify or Haste. Valor bard would let you do more damage with two attacks.

Life Cleric is the best Bro option though IMO, the healing you can do is just absurd.

>>50246545
>Banneret Fighter.

pls don't do this. Banneret/PDK is so bad
>>
>>50246545
>>50246553
>He doesn't want to be a glorious leader on the frontlines.
Don't listen to these lies, hoist your banner and stand firm on the battlefield. Banneret is the best choice.
>>
>>50246553
>How would you lads do multi-classing a Warlock Sorcerer?
Sorclock is pretty well-established. Warlock 2, grab agonizing blast and eldritch blast, then Sorcerer the rest of the way. Use Quicken Metamagic to push out double EBs every round.
>>
>>50246557
It's cool flavor. Mechanically garbage tho
>>
will they ever just release an Eberron book

its the only stock setting id be interested in
>>
>>50241372
Barbarians

Guardian - has conflicting features and generally sucks ass if you don't want to play a Wiseass shaman and monks do it better unirronically.

Tempest with the Water and Sand features has some nice stuff to imobilize enemies and the melee aura is just such a nice bonus.

Zealot is the tankiest tank in the game.

Bard:

Glamour makes you into a glam rock star.
Very usefull in a social interaction and being a greedy merchant fuck.

Assasin bard makes you an edgy villain who can steal memories and appearances.
Prety nice but not worth it over the extra magic of lore bard, extra attack on valour and even the glam archetype beats it in social interaction since they don't have to kill to get what they need.
>>
>>50246534
>>goal outcomes
>Characters can have any number of motivations and allegiances and beliefs and goals.
>these will lead to violent conflict on multiple occasions throughout the campaign.
>when and if this happens is almost entirely dependent on player choice and action. Who they attack, yes, but also, so they side with and won they piss off.
>on occasion an npc may betray the pcs, or the pcs may betray an npc. This could happen mid combat (it has in the past).
>occasionally (uncommonly) pcs turn on one another violently.
>sometimes run 3.x modules or adventure paths, and minimize the conversation effort /time.
>use 2e & 3e setting books for fluff, homebrew crunch when needed.

>>avoid outcomes
>needing to stat everything twice and using a different sheet based on who is fighting whom seems like something I'd like to avoid.
>less number tracking.
>less of a learning curve than Pathfinder for when I bring in new players.
Beyond that I'm not really sure .

>how have i been handling it so far?
Pathfinder just does it. Not perfectly, but reasonably well.
It, however, has tons of fiddly tracking, and the learning curve on chargen is really steep. That learning curve is my biggest issue with it.

The class tiers thing doesn't bother me, I just limit accessible options to a 3-tier spread, typically 2/3/4.
>>
>>50246534
>what are you hoping to remedy by switching to 5e
Missed one.
Mostly easier learning curve for players building their characters, and smoother combat due to less hunting down conditional modifiers and taking stuff.
>>
>>50242633
Sea elves definetly.
I like their flavour.

Something like
Standard elf traits

Replace elf weapon training with the Mariner fighting style from UA.
Proficiency with Spears, Daggers , Tridents, Shortswords and Nets.

+1 Con

And the Aquatic trait.
>>
>>50246628
Oh, and implicit goal outcome:

D&D type character concepts and abilities and magic and monsters, enough so that I can easily set my game in Faerun, or golarion, or ptolus, or sigil, or what have you.
>>
>>50242916
Don't.
Errata makes Water whip useless.

Also there's this fix here for the class which you might want to show to your DM.
>>
>>50246628
Wouldn't pf do it worse because it's imbalanced af?
>>
>>50246628
I honestly don't know what advice to give you on this. I don't think it would be difficult to do using 5e, but there might be better systems.

If it were me, I would probably want to learn the system fairly well before I attempted something as delicate as player-versus-player interaction. That said.. It sounds like PF is the safer bet here. Especially if you want to run modules from the 3.PF era. Switching to 5e seems like it might be nice, but the work you'd end up putting into everything would outweight all the benefits of 5e. It might make it easier for your players, but if you're not already in possession of some level of system mastery, the headache would be immense.
>>
>>50243154
Then give the Nature skill to elves and have them get expertise in it if they gain it from another feature.

Dragonborn should have the History proficiency then and same as elves get expertise in it if they get it from a second source.
History is based on what we can read from sources and so archivistic work and book keeping usually fall under it as sub-categories.
>>
>>50246665
My players all optimize pretty well, and when we get a newbie we point them at a guide. The trap options simply don't get picked, ever. Add the class tier limiting, and that drastically cuts down the imbalance on the pc side.

For NPCs I tend to build them by benchmarking based on PC stats, rather than building them out level by level.
>>
>>50246641
This is true at least.
>>
>>50246686
You could do this exact thing with 5e. Also the bright side is no one will be shit even if they build unoptimzed, with the caveat of using the UA ranger.

It does seem you all are intimately familiar with PF. 5e does require an adjustment of any presumptions/assumptions of the system.
>>
> PvP in 5e
> Where onion Druid exist
>>
What would be a good choice as a Multi-class option after you have already ridden Warlock half to death after a year and a half long campaign? Mostly I just wanna avoid the shitty last 3 levels and find something good to dip into. This particular Warlock already has a good Int and Con as well as Cha and my Str is my dump stat f that matters much
>>
>>50246693
Yeah, but it does seem to be (from what people are saying in this thread) at the expense of being harder to do many of the types of things I most like to run in a campaign, unfortunately. I suspect I'll have to getcha some system mastery under my belt, and then figure out what to hack/houserules to make it better able to handle the kinds of campaigns I run when I'm not mostly running something out of a book.

>>50246699
How would I go about it?

And yes, we're mostly familiar with PF. 6 out of the 7 players have been playing PF since the beta, and four of those have been playing 3.x since at least 2005.

One of them struggles every time we build characters, however. She understands that the system has trap options, but she can't identify them. She tends come up with an idea, lean heavily on guides, and then bother other players to get help actually building it. And I'm considering bringing in my gf, who has never played to rpgs before. Hence looking for a d&d with a less steep curve.
>>
>>50246711
Sorcerer if you want to get into quickened eldritch blast shenanigans, bard for expertise, jack of all trades and inspiration.
>>
>>50244005
Classes that can't afford to focus on raising CON get a higher Hp die.

I.e. Paladin , Monk and Ranger get a d12 Hp die.
Sorcerrer gets a d8 or d10 Hp die.

All other classes are SAD so no need to change anything.
>>
>>50246699
Oh, sorry, thought you were responding to >>50246628.

I could benchmark based on pcs, but it sounds like you guys are saying that using the PC numbers as my guideline would more or less make "unfun rocket tag matches", and if I use the monster guidelines, they wouldn't be able to contribute as allies like pcs. And as I'm likely to have the same characters serving in both roles, that sounds potentially very tricky in 5e.
>>
>>50244491
If you look to use heavy armour remember to get Warcaster.
Otherwise for a lore bard is better to stay Dex based, use a rapier and SCAG cantrips.
Maybe go with three levels of Swashbuckler rogue.
>>
>>50244836
Swashbuckler/Dragon sorcerrer.

You get to be sneaky, a versatile spell caster and a frontliner to boot.
>>
>>50246667
>don't think it would be difficult in 5e
How would you go about it?

>pf sounds like the safer bet
Damn. Fair enough.

>you need more system mastery.
>what you're looking to do would be a lot of work in 5e, and probably not worth the switch.
>it would be a major headache, especially where you're new to 5e.
Hmm. 5e may have to be my a "dabble in this using published 5e modules only" campaign then. It would have been nice to be able to bring my girlfriend into my next factions-sandbox-campaign, but maybe not worth the headaches involved.

Thanks.

I'm off to bed. I'll talk to you guys tomorrow.
>>
>>50246783
Ps: someone who isn't on a phone should make a new thread
>>
>>50246783
Honestly?
For the level of complexity you want in your games, I would actually suggest a system you're intimately familiar with. In your case, PF.
At least until you guys familiarize yourselves with 5e and gain a better understanding of the nuances of that system.

Lost mines is a good starting adventure in that regard.

Don't let the bedbugs bite.
>>
>>50246711
I betyou
>rolled for stats
Paladin is good but works better if it's a bigger multiclass than warlock
Sorcerer is good but works perhaps slightly better if it's a bigger multiclass than warlock, but you can still generate sorcerery points every short rest.
However, only 3 levels in sorcerer means you can only cast one quickened eldritch blast at a time before having to cannibalize spell slots as a bonus action for one quickened blast per slot.

Probably portent wizard, fighter or bard. If not, one of the broken UA multiclasses such as shadow sorcerer or new ranger.
>>
>>50246783
>>50246825
Curse of Strahd and Storm King's Thunder are good sandbox games.
>>
>>50246726
>>50246829

Thanks for the info. Ill probably end up going with Bard since it looks like a solid payoff and Lore fits the character RPwise pretty well too. A few more skills certainly wouldnt hurt wither
>>
>>50246825
Yeah, I'll hold off on running a homebrew campaign in 5e until Im convinced I can make 5e accomplish it (with or without houserules).

Thus far I've been reading the rules and analyzing the math and building starting to build out some 1-20 characters in 5e to familiarize myself with it. But I only started looking into it about 2 weeks ago.

>>50246825
>>50246849
Thanks, I'll check those out.

Recently ordered out of the abyss off of amazon, was considering strahd, but then saw it seemed much shorter than the others.

Know very little about storm kings thunder.

I'll look skin through the PDFs for sure though, and see what I think.

Are you guys familiar with a good collection of well built 5e characters, from 1-20?

They would be very helpful in wrapping my head around the system at the various levels.
>>
>>50246829
Um how's the new ranger broken?

Hunter just gives you a conditioned extra attack/extra damage.

The Underdark ranger however is broken with the speed boost.

And new beastmaster basically gives you a fighter companion.
>>
>>50246928
No worries. Bro, have to dash off real quick, but the good thing about 5e is the not necessarily simplification but streamlining of rules. It's easy to pick up and just build things.
5e on the other hand doesn't really do well built, everything is viable but the lack of supplements is hurting it somewhat. Use the UA ranger instead of the CRB ranger though and check out the monster building rules in the MM.
Have a look at backgrounds too.
>>
>>50246962
>How's the new ranger broken
>then lists why the new ranger is broken

I wouldn't call it broken personally, it's just way too frontloaded

seriously a 3 level dip in Ranger is absurd for anyone really. All the shit from Natural Explorer, being a walking radar with Primeevil awareness, adv on initiative, adv on attacks vs enemies that haven't acted yet, + damage on a very wide variety of enemies, yadda yadda
>>
>>50246928
There's heaps of NPCs at the end of the MM and at the end of Volo's.

You can also check out the adventures in the trove. They're all there to date.
>>
>>50247015
UA wasn't decide with multiclass in mind. DM should use caution and prepare to counter munchkin trying to abuse this fact.
>>
>>50245538
didn't know you could make tons of attacks per turn with bugbear
>>
Does the flat damage reduction from Heavy Armour Master apply before or after resistances?
>>
>>50247130
Never mind, I found it. Resistance and Vulnerability apply first in all scenarios
>>
>>50246962
One level into UA ranger works with almost ANY class.

>ignore difficult terrain (Level 6 druid feature, but applies to magical difficult terrain too)
>advantage on initiative (Barbarian level 7 feature)
>advantage against any creature that hasn't moved yet (rogue level 3 choice feature)
>+2 damage to every hit against humanoids (barbarian level 1 while-raging-only while-using-strength-only feature)
>always alert to danger, cannot become lost, better tracking, better foraging, entire group ignores difficult terrain during travel
>10 starting HP, 3 starting skills, ideal for a first level before you multiclass into something else
>advantage on survival to track humanoids, recall information about humanoids (which also means their culture and such) and an extra language

UA should always be only allowed to multiclass with the direct check and approval of the DM.
>>
>>50246659
>Errata makes Water whip useless.
How the fuck did they manage to fuck elemental monks even harder?

That's really impressive, considering how shit it already is.
>>
File: 1479110105661.jpg (27KB, 450x337px)
1479110105661.jpg
27KB, 450x337px
>"I'm a bit of a power gamer haha"
>"I'm going to use my homebrew gunslinger class"
>"How dare you assume my gender?"
>"How dare you assume a race is superior to another?"
>"I'm going to leave"
>Misses his shot on a friendly lizardman
>Nice guy DM gives him a free bonus attack
>He rolls a 1
>Flips the Tabletop Simulatorâ„¢ table and ragequits

Does this kind of stuff happen IRL sessions too?
>>
>>50247226
Wat.
>>
>>50247226
Like... all in one session?
>>
File: 1453675535835.png (23KB, 372x192px)
1453675535835.png
23KB, 372x192px
>>50247179
>>
>>50247265
And people called me an idiot for assuming the revised hunter would be worse.

They are clearly capable of stomping on choices that are already shit. The elemental monk was "literally why" tier to begin with, nerfing it even further is so sad it almost comes full circle to being funny again.
>>
>>50247226
Generally not that bad as such people exist but are generally less able to handle social situations IRL.
>>
>>50241240
>>50241309

Don't really want to play either of those since those are the classes people are playing. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Was thinking first level Ambuscade Ranger then the rest in Rogue
>>
Do you trigger attacks of opportunity if you dimension door out during combat? Teleporting doesn't trigger them but isn't dimension door like a door you physically step through?
>>
Wizard without any directly damaging spells Y/N?
>>
>>50247358
They didn't nerf or buff anything with the errata, it was all how things were supposed to be to begin with, corrections. I think they could have taken the opportunity to make some small adjustments to make the easier to fix options better (like wot4e and berserker, maybe also bladelock) even if they need a more expansive format for Ranger and so on.
>>
>>50247265
why does elemental mountain exists when basic monk has a better feature a that level?
>>
>>50247476
It's called godmode for a reason. Though you should probably have a combat cantrip for lower levels and if you don't have a spell to use.
>>
>>50247582
Because wotc couldn't resist to make a trap option
>>
>>50247015
Multiclassing is an optional rule for faggots. Fuck off and kill yourself.
>>
>>50247679
Can someone explain to me what's wrong with multiclassing?
>>
>>50247652
It's doubly retarded because they keep shitting out new and obviously better variants, instead of fixing some of the existing ones.

Sun monk is clearly better than the existing ones, and elemental monk is so fucking shit you might as well rip the page out of the book or paint it white and use it for notes. In fact, it is better to do so, so your players don't make the mistake of picking the shit tier option.

I hate when developers do shit like this. Yeah, I get it, you have a ton of bad ideas you want to create. Good for you. Now go back and fix the broken mess your initial slew of ideas had.

Once you are done with that, feel free to go make new ones. But not before that.
>>
>>50247713
No.

Because there is nothing wrong with multiclassing
>>
>>50247713
promotes minmaxing
>>
>>50247789
Well, you lose something to gain something instead, yeah, it's kinda like minmaxing. Though what you can do with MC is no better than what you can do going full class
>>
>>50247713
It's a trap if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
File: 1478120338228.png (367KB, 568x454px)
1478120338228.png
367KB, 568x454px
For what purpose does the hand crossbow have the light property? The property that only serves to let you TWF a weapon? TWF being a type of attack you can only do with melee weapons? Which a hand crossbow is not?
>>
>>50247811
This.

Hell, a Bard, Wizard, Druid and Cleric... pretty much any full caster, is a LOT better off sticking to their class all the way to the end.

The main issue is the huge power spike gained from 1-level dips. Had a game of Mines of Phandelver where one of the players did some weird triple classing, and could pretty much outdo everybody else in all areas. He would suck once we hit level 8/9 or so, but this is a campaign that ends around level 4/5, so he'd be way ahead of us until we stopped playing.

This is why, when I GM, I'd rather speed up the leveling process, and balance things around hitting level 15+, and if we are doing small campaigns, I outright ban multiclassing. The idea of multiclassing is fine for a longer roleplaying game, but if we are doing a quick 2-3 session "clear out the Necromancers lair", then no, the only point of multiclassing is trying to break the system.
>>
new thread

>>50247945
>>50247945
>>50247945
>>
>>50247149

What UA is better?

The Deep Stalker Conclave or the Variant with Ambuscade?
Thread posts: 433
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.