[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/STG/ Star Trek General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 94

File: Squadron assault.jpg (244KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Squadron assault.jpg
244KB, 1080x1080px
Khitomer Accords A Shit Edition

Previous thread >>50158117

A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include the rpgs by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe and WizKid's Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures and game, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

FASA's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9mt7sng56l8gg/Star_Trek_RPG_(FASA)
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cwn8tbt2qm5t4/FASATREK_Adventures

Last Unicorn Game's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9eiysv2192ods/Star_Trek_RPG_(LUG)
-Official and Fanmade Resources
>http://www.coldnorth.com/memoryicon/

Decipher's RPG
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/c6tb7p6dp0pye/Star_Trek_RPG_(Decipher)
-Fan Supplements
>http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org

Far Trek
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/lrhbz9l0qay0j/Far_Trek

Lasers & Feelings
>http://www.onesevendesign.com/laserfeelings/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Ex Astris Scientia - Fan analyses of ships, tech and continuity issues
>http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org

Daystrom Institute Technical Library - Database of ships and technology
>http://www.ditl.org

Star Trek LCARS Blueprints Database - Ship schematics, deck plans and recognition manuals
>http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints-main2.php

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

Star Trek Cartography - Information and maps
>http://www.stdimension.org/int/
>>
Anything you want to consider adding to the OP, please reply to this post. Lore, headcanon, homebrews and official systems all welcome.

To begin with I suggest the Ark Royal 1d4chan page, seeing as AR-anon has gone to the trouble of making the page.

And if anybody has the address for Nebbie-Anon's website I reckon we could add that too.
>>
File: My archon 2.jpg (382KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
My archon 2.jpg
382KB, 1920x1080px
First for Mirror Archon.
>>
>>50250620
I second this post.
>>
>>50250624
I could almost like it if the nacelles didn't look like ass.
>>
>>50250624
So you dropped something heavy on the saucer to flatten it, then put the nacelles in a pair of chip clips to ruin those too.
>>
>>50250620
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Ark_Royal for AR-Anon.

Don't know nebbie's site address. I think it's klingon-history or something like that. Unfortunately google is of no help.
>>
>>50250620
Anon that made the AR 1d4 chan page.

I meant to make a list of thought up characters and shit but then stuff happened.

My day off is tomorrow. If nobody else does anything by then I promise I will try to try.
>>
>>50250697
>yfw Worf was /pol/ of Enterprise
>>
>>50250746
Thank's breh. Now we just need to remember to add it next thread.

>>50250747
No rush. Just thought we should add it to the OP seeing as it was born from /stg/. You have a couple of days before the next thread if you want to add anything but even as it is we have a fair body of content there.
>>
File: My archon 1.jpg (344KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
My archon 1.jpg
344KB, 1920x1080px
>>50250645
>>50250687
Yeah, the secondary hull isn't half bad, but the nacellas are what kills it.
>>
File: THIS IS NOT A DRILL.png (34KB, 578x426px) Image search: [Google]
THIS IS NOT A DRILL.png
34KB, 578x426px
Wizkids confirm that ALL Enterprise-E repaint minis will come with the code for the tier-6 Command Assault Cruiser.
https://twitter.com/wizkidsgames/status/798281528233103360
>>
>>50250981
Yeah, the command variant, meanwhile the Intel variant is on Z-store for 2500 zen for some reason.
Normally these tier 6 buggers go for 3K zen.
>>
>>50251062
Makes it cheaper to get the set bonus at least.
>>
>>50251084
Now if only i found those minis from somewhere around my parts.
>>
>>50251109
Why not order online?
>>
File: 1138057924634.jpg (154KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1138057924634.jpg
154KB, 800x600px
Plot Hooks and miscellaneous events/items.
Lets see if we can do something mildly creative:

Take a star trek related image, write some guff to go along with. Doesn't have to be a work of art. If you want, reply to someone else's image.

Example: Voyager fucks up again with yet another trip back to Earth, but at the wrong time.
Why was this guy important? He was erroneously deemed important by time-travelling assassins seeking to to remove Janeway from the timeline. Turns out he at one time was photographed near an actual relative.
>>
>>50250620
There was also an anon making a story about Kill La Kill in Star Trek, no?
>>
So what are /STG/'s thoughts and feeling on the Iconians being behind everything ever in STO?
>>
>>50252466
Was kinda cool.
Then we had the Iconian war that felt very detached from the game world at large.
I mean seriously, would it have killed them to add some randomly flying refugee fleets and Iconian sector space encounters?
Oh and the ending was pretty atrocious, either PC was all the time on the side of the Klink who didn't want to kill anyone for some reason, after all, it's not like Lord high admiral Playerus Characterus didn't see shitloads of carnage and suffering during the war and didn't have a motive to destroy the Iconians in the past.
Alternatively PC caught a fatal case of mouth breathing and didn't want to bother people while they were wowing revenge on us or escaping through star gate.
>>
File: 1476635940827s.jpg (9KB, 210x250px) Image search: [Google]
1476635940827s.jpg
9KB, 210x250px
>>50252466
Annoyed but not massively so.

Was hoping for some mention of an Ancient Vulcan culture to explain why there are vulcanoids besides Romulans on various planets. Perhaps as a later precursor.

Also annoyed that they killed off the Preservers again. They pulled that shit in Star Trek: Hidden Evil back in 1999 and the moment they made another appearance I was counting down the missions till they got nuked from orbit. I'm sure it was meant to be a great tragedy and pull on the heart strings but for me it had very little impact.

Also annoyed that we couldn't actually do anything of any note and save the Iconians with the Annarax eraser. Yes predetermination grandfather paradox but who gives a shit at this point, I have a ship that can unwrite things without unwriting itself so I hold the sword of a horrific god.

Felt it could have been handle better.
>>
>>50252466
STO's story has been fairly dreadful for a while. The only storyline that I properly enjoyed was the Romulan Republic. That had the benefit of giving you motivation and an actual sense of progress. Once time travel became the primary plot point I basically stopped caring.
>>
>>50252466
I mostly liked it. Didn't like the whole "Iconians are the most ancient race evah" thing - yet another case of "non-sci-fi writers writing sci-fi have no sense of scale," just this time in time instead of space, and the whole Preservers thing in the first ep was garbage. After that it was bredy fun though. Introducing more hero-but-not-pc-tier characters that weren't in the shows was a nice move. I even kinda liked the ending, because it was pretty much the only way they could simultaneously solve the problem without making it a "plot gun/time travel fixes everything" game. Sure, time travel solved the problem, but it also caused the problem in the first place.

And then they made it a "time travel fixes everything" game.
>>
>TFW if you wanted to play a Doctor Who game why didn't you just make a Doctor who game?
I hate when they do that in a setting when it doesn't even need it. There is nothing in Trek where you can't just technobabble your way out of shit. Time shit is just the laziest recourse of crappy writers/designers.
>>
The 'no sense of scale' thing that still gets me is the Dyson Sphere. Literally, the most technologically amazing accomplishment in Star Trek by a TREMENDOUS amount, and it's just a vehicle for Scotty to make a cameo? Whatever.

Like. That thing is the single most important object in the entire galaxy. Fuck the Wormhole, Fuck the Borg. Fuck the Gateway to Tomorrow, a real dyson sphere is what everyone should be flipping their shit over.
>>
I get what you are saying anon from a tech achievement level it's way up there but from a story hook idea. It is kind of dead in the water since there is no way in hell the UFP could really reverse engineer that at their current level of tech. And to most normies it's just a big ball and not that great looks wise because it's hard to really show the scale of the thing.
>>
>>50255754
>>50254625
Make it an alien derilect or space station or asteroid or something. Not an object that has more manufactured surface area than all planets known to the federation combined.
>>
>>50255845
>Make it an alien derilect or space station or asteroid or something.
Trek has done all that already and then some. The Dyson sphere was just a nod to the space geeks that watch the show. It's like a wet dream to space engineers to have something like that realized but as a story plot it sucks. If the guys who made are still around then you are messing with a race with god-like tech. And if they don't want you around you won't be. And the level of advancement would be so high, trying to understand even during the TNG era. That it would like a dog trying to figure out a warp engine. And if they are gone it's the same deal except they are truly dealing with shit way above their heads with no help and are liable to kill or hurt themselves fucking with shit totally out of their league. In other words, shit like a Dyson sphere should only be dealt with in fiction in passing unless the setting is at that tech level.
>>
>50251045
they launch people into hilarious death takes, so logically, yes
>>
>>50257471
>i can't even fucking cross post
welp i've had enough for tonight
>>
If you were dropped into the Trek setting what race would you want to be and what era? I like TOS characters better but I like the TNG tech better. I'd want to be a covert human augment serving on a Prometheus class vessel.
>>
File: Morn.jpg (8KB, 270x203px) Image search: [Google]
Morn.jpg
8KB, 270x203px
>>50260178
Pre-Dominion War DS9/TNG era.
>>
if Telltale announced that they were going to make a game based off the star trek series, which series would you want it to be based on?

A) TOS
B) TNG
C) DS9

>Geordi will remember that
>>
>>50260178
anytime during tng or post war ds9. a human would be just fine. i could probably work security and try to find myself an honorable qt 3.14 klingon waifu
>>
>>50260178
Post-DS9 as an El-Aurian.

Fast all the major wars to actually damage anything important and get great longevity. Also ability to detect changes in time line.
>>
>>50260178
Just a few weeks before the Dominion War, Human. I want to see if I can get the federation to develop a proper carrier.
>>
>>50260178
Into the 2340's as a Cardassian. I'd try and convince the High Command to take Starfleet seriously and ramp up weapons development to counteract them.
>>
>>50262344

I've seen the way Telltale "games" are played, and frankly I don't want them touching Trek.
>>
>>50263984
Seconded. They've really dug themselves in too deep to their formula of story with occasional bits of interactivity that really add very little.

>>50262344
If I were going to have to suffer one, it'd be TNG. Everyone is still around for voice acting, there's plenty of scope for doing something to fill in the Enterprise E era, much like the old 25th anniversary/judgement rites games did for TOS.
>>
File: obrien_600.jpg (75KB, 600x836px) Image search: [Google]
obrien_600.jpg
75KB, 600x836px
>>50260178
Human, post-DS9, ex-starfleet engineer, running what's basically a high speed (warp 8+) taxi service of a small starship. Bit bigger than a runabout so some freight and passengers could be carried. I'd travel around the Federation, see places, moving people and valuable small cargo.

Image unrelated.
>>
>>50265787
You'd stop liking it at least by the time someone puked inside your ship for the 5th time and when the cargo hold gets infested by something nasty.
Like fungus, alien lemmings, tribbles or worst of all, hippies.
>>
>>50265831
I can always space the hippies. Unless someone is paying me to ship them. That might be violating some sort of law though, shipping hippies that is. I suspect the Federation got pretty hard on them following that series of incidents in 2269.
>>
Moriarty was a wonderfully human character.
>>
>>50260178
Kreetassan
Right around Terok Nor becoming DS9

I would be an outcast from my homeworld, having a long record of not adhearing to my species strict ettiquite and ceremony. This would turn out to be a boon as I was far easier to deal with than my more traditional counterparts, thus paving my way into Starfleet Acadamy. Upon graduation, I would serve the standard ship borne service time all new cadets must have. After 5 years, I would be reassigned to the shipyards for experimental ship construction. There, I would bust my ass resurrecting the constellation class and making it great again.
>>
So I'm making my way through voyager, and I have to say, some of these episodes are the best trek I've seen.

Any thing involving the doctor is solid gold.
>>
>>50266223
If Voyager was solidly bad it'd be less of a problem. But it'd keep having good episodes on occasion, particularly through season 4, and that's what makes it painful that it was just drudgery and mediocrity for so much of it.
>>
>>50266286
Is there a watch guide?
>>
>>50267580
Probably a load of them.
>>
>>50265787

That reminds me: I had a concept for a Star Fleet Intelligence Officer who's cover was that he was an ex-Starfleet engineer turned freelance contractor/merchant operating in the Federation/Cardassian border territories.
So, human pre-Dominion war. Personality wise, he'd be warm, friendly, empathetic, a great listener, the sort of guy who you always want to have a Raktajino with when he comes by. He had to work a very long time to become that person and takes a professional pride in his ability to get people to talk without realizing they're being probed for info.

His ship would be a converted and upgraded small freighter hosing the equivalent of a very well equipped machine shop, a small personal holosuite, the holosuite's dedicated computer is employed in running analysis on data from the 'really quite normal, see?' ship's sensors, and the remaining space for cargo.

See places, meet people, move small valuable cargo. While trying to deal with Ferengi traders who don't like competition. Cardassian customs who like bribes. Fereration customs who don't like people who resign from Starfleet to cut shady deals on both sides of a disputed border and various people who really think they could make far better use of that ship.

I like the idea of a spy who's job is what a lot of spying is (as far as I can tell) actually about. Just blending into a background and gathering lots and lots of boring minutiae that when you sift em fine enough reveal patterns of activity.

I also like the idea of a spy who spends most of his time maintaining his cover, and most of his problems stem from maintaining an anonymous cover than a shadowy figure in a menacing black outfit that might as well have "SPY" written across the back in neon.
>>
File: Trek Game.jpg (661KB, 1911x2121px) Image search: [Google]
Trek Game.jpg
661KB, 1911x2121px
>>
File: Trek Game 2.jpg (214KB, 1435x572px) Image search: [Google]
Trek Game 2.jpg
214KB, 1435x572px
>>50269045
>>
>>50267580
too many with not enough consensus. Watch it all. You need to experience the good with the bad.
>>
File: 1276221257584.jpg (19KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1276221257584.jpg
19KB, 400x300px
>>50268115
I like this character idea. Our characters should meet up, bond over similar backgrounds, indulge in beverages and bitch about whatever two-bit VIP needed high speed delivery of a crate of 'cupcakes' from Vulcan to DS9 in less than 2 weeks.

...I did actually check what warp factor would need to be cruised at to make that trip possible it, it's doable in a bit under at about Warp 8.6+
>>
>>50268115
>TFW Fed spy in carddie space
I would really watch out for all the other spies running around that place. It would be funny if you had like a card game every so often with other traders in the areas. And the kicker is all the other players are spies too but with very plain covers with all of you guys trying to out spy the other. Oh Garek drops by sometimes too just to keep taps on all the spookies.
>>
File: pioneers_by_euderion-d5omx1g.jpg (1MB, 4400x2000px) Image search: [Google]
pioneers_by_euderion-d5omx1g.jpg
1MB, 4400x2000px
>>
>>50271361

I like that idea. Everyone knows more or less who everyone else is. But any direct action by any party means everyone else gets grabbed, so a kind of truce prevails.

I had a couple of scenarios for him. One is where a rival Ferengi trader runs some numbers and decides his business is a front. Which is true. And that it's a front for the Orions. Which is false, but disproving it would be very inconvenient. The Ferengi wants to leverage this to disrupt Orion trade on behalf of a rival syndicate. Putting the spy in a situation where he has to figure out who the Ferengi is working for, gather enough plausible info on the Orions to buy him time, make contact with the Orions and convince them what's going on, all without either getting himself killed, or doing anything so overt as to blow his cover. (Certain material shortages on worlds near the Cardassian border could be indicative of a construction effort, and he needs to investigate it).

By the end of it, a lot of people would be dead, he'd be in good standing with the Orions. The Cardassian project would turn out to be a series of irrigation canals to irrigate a subcontinent for Kanar production.

The other would involve a Maquis group turned mercenaries kidnapping him at the behest of a corrupt local official over a trade deal. Rather than just killing him they dragoon him into service upgrading some of their equipment. He manages to win the trust of their local engineer, talking idealistically about what they're doing, and why they joined up. The engineer would test his sincerity a couple of times, by apparently dropping their guard. Once he had convinced them and the engineer had covered for him, buying him some extra time he'd beat them to death with a pipe and escape. Feeding info to a Cardie opposite number on where and how to wipe out the rest of the group in exchange for info on who hired them and why.

This is not a guy who will have an entirely positive view of himself and what he does.
>>
File: IMG_0709.png (2MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0709.png
2MB, 1334x750px
>>
File: RA_and_AR_Die_Is_Cast.jpg (315KB, 951x530px) Image search: [Google]
RA_and_AR_Die_Is_Cast.jpg
315KB, 951x530px
>>50273504
>This is not a guy who will have an entirely positive view of himself and what he does.
I think that's the thing with most spies what they as a cover is unremarkable but what they need to do for their real jobs can be nasty. I think Garek showed this somewhat during DS9, he had done a lot of crap in his pass. Some that weighted on him more than others. I like that there are deep cover spooks all over the place in Trek during the TNG era. I mean anyone who's anyone has a strong spy organization in their government. It kind of puts James Bonds to shame how much covert stuff happens in Trek during that time period.
>>
>>50273347
So, according to the schematics in the previous thread, these ST:M ships, at least the early ones, gain gravity from thrust (they're built like towers rather than seafaring vessels). But they also use impulse engines and warp engines, which necessitates inertial dampening. So the crew only get the benefit of thrust gravity for very brief periods. So what's the point?
>>
File: SS Conqueror.gif (197KB, 1890x1700px) Image search: [Google]
SS Conqueror.gif
197KB, 1890x1700px
>>50276998
This is the image I'm referring to, by the way.
>>
>>50276998
>>50277024
Maybe the dampeners can be set to dampen a certain amount of inertia?
So while the ship is moving it allows enough inertia to affect the ship and crew so that folks can have gravity, while dampening any further force that would turn the crew into walking pancakes.
>>
>>50273347
>You will never be part of a squadron exploring deep space.
Why live...
>>
>>50276998
Inertial dampeners are part of the artificial gravity system, or the other way around. That floorplan isn't for thrust-based gravity (which would require constant, low accelerations, which would be impractical to say the least), but floorspace efficiency with that hull design.
>>
File: powhatan-plan.gif (198KB, 1300x1870px) Image search: [Google]
powhatan-plan.gif
198KB, 1300x1870px
>>50277067
I think pancakes would slide more than walk. At best they could move around like a snail.
>>
>>50277694
Then why does the Connie's engineering hull not use the same design methodology.

And I hate to be pedantic, but anti grav isn't controlled by the impulse system.
>>
>>50276998
You seem to be thinking that these old ships could sustain warp for long periods of time and spent most of their time in warp when they probably spent most of it at sub-light for surveying, patrolling, ect. Thus granting more time for thrust gravity to do it's job.
What is it's job? The human body is not designed for zero-g, things start going very very wrong if you spend too much time in it. Muscles atrophy, bones weaken, heart problems begin manifesting, ect. Even small amounts time spent in gravity will lengthen the crew endurance for a long voyage.

One should probably assume that these early space explorers were will fully versed in zero-g living as with enough thrust-gravity living to keep them sane, healthy, and capable of doing their jobs.
>>
Been skimming the museum, can't really find anything referring to the deck layout being for the sake of gravity, if there is a reference someone will have to point it at me.

>>50280396
>You seem to be thinking that these old ships could sustain warp for long periods of time and spent most of their time in warp

Not him but going by the warp speeds alone, yeah they do. Going even 5 light years at an early war cruiser's cruising speed of warp 2.3-6 takes over 100 days, 150 at the cruising speed of a Bison transport. So 4-5 months just to take a system to system hop. Getting to the early antimatter/reactor ships like the Conqueror with it's cruise speed of warp 3.1 cuts that trip to just over 60 days.

The SFM stuff was designed with not needing the speed of plot so no Earth to Qo'noS trip in a few days kinda bullshit. should have taken the better part of 9+ months without stopping at warp 5... yes I enjoy playing with the warp speed calculator.
>>
>That one episode of TOS where Enterprise saves a group of hippies from exploding with their shitty shuttle while they are running away from the feds
>Hippies infest Enterprises lounge area and sing songs there until captain cracks and agrees to take them to their little paradise planet they heard of from a guy who saw it while doing shrooms
>They actually find the planet
>Hippies grab a shuttle and land before anyone has had enough time to scan the planet
>It ends up being a star trek version of Catachan
>Kirk and crew manage to save more than half of the hippies before they manage to kill themselves by either dancing barefoot on grass that produces acid or eat cyanide berries from nearby bushes
>>
>>50281714
Should have given it a few more days. Let the rest of the insufferable shirts kill themselves. God they were annoying.
>>
>>50279980
>Then why does the Connie's engineering hull not use the same design methodology.
Because the vast majority of the ship's volume is in the saucer, and maybe it'd be a pain for some reason to change it. Also, the shuttlebay is pointing in the same direction as the saucer's decks, and that is a significant portion of the secondary hull's volume. And, there could be rooms that specifically benefit from having long decks with lots of floorspace, like the warp core.
>And I hate to be pedantic, but anti grav isn't controlled by the impulse system.
I said inertial dampeners, not impulse. Seeing as how the inertial dampeners and artificial gravity have the same effect (using space magic to create local accelerations in one direction or another), it would make sense that they would be linked.
>>
>>50276998

I don't think that artificial gravity is linked to the inertial dampening system. Gravity (on TOS era ships anyway) is produced by gravity generating plates under the deck. They can be independently turned on or off, or have their settings changed (we see this in In A Mirror Darkly).

It's entirely possible that the ST: M ships don't have the gravity plating, so the most sensible way to generate gravity is to do it under acceleration. I'm not sure how this would work under warp, since the warp drive doesn't actually accelerate anything. It moves space around the ship and negates at least some of the ship's mass.

It may be possible to "accelerate" using impulse engines while warp is active, and generate gravity that way, but they're not going to get to their destination faster.

But the time spent traveling would pass much more pleasantly, without the bone loss or muscle atrophy.

However, this doesn't interact well with ENT in other areas. We see that the NX class already has gravity plating, and we also see that it's common on vulcan starships and human civilian vessels. ST: M was created before ENT ever aired, and ENT mostly didn't give a crap about being consistent with the rest of Trek, let alone fan ideas.
>>
File: patrol-1.jpg (83KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
patrol-1.jpg
83KB, 800x600px
I really wish this was more complete, its really well done as it is.
http://www.st-minutiae.com/articles/romulanwar/index.html

>>50282734
I wouldn't mind them having gravity plating, it's been speculated here before that the gravity plating is a spin-off tech of warp drive since they both involve distorting space in a way, though in Star Trek Gravitons are a particle I believe which may or may not mess with that idea.

Also starships at warp are still being pushed by their impulse engines, since the warp drive is simply warping space around the ship.
>>
>>50275818

It'd be interesting to explore that from the Federation side. How do you do a job that requires everything, body, mind, and soul; and that the average citizen would consider criminal if they knew you were doing it. On the Cardassian side the Obsidian Order was at least respected and feared.

That's the other thing I've hoped for, a Section 31 series or series of stories where they're not a shadow government or secret puppet masters, but are genuinely trying to protect the Federation as best they can. Because the psychology of that, how do you organize a group so that it can remain on task for centuries and become neither uselessly corrupt or dangerously inward facing fascinates me. I think DS9 was kind of torn between making them 'evil fascist shadow government' and 'the Federation's hidden sword and shield'.
>>
So does the UFP have civil spaceships that are like ocean liners and if so what do thy look like?
>>
>>50284077
They do yes. Starfleet ships help out with official business (diplomats, colonisation efforts etc.) and they can provide general transport seemingly at their own discretion. But on a few occasions we hear about civilian transports, mostly in TNG and DS9.
>>
>>50284053
I think the only way to keep Section 31 from becoming the complete antithesis of the Federation is to have them periodically disband. As if they were an extension of the regular intelligence agencies that was only deemed needed on rare occasions rather than left as a permanently operating branch.

>>50284077
They definitely do as there's clear movement of civilians going on around the Federation, I don't think I've ever seen any tv/movie-canon examples, though the starfleet museum has a whole bunch of designs up, and Star Fleet Battles (and the Star Fleet Command games) have a whole bunch of civilian cargo/passenger ship designs going on since they feature as targets in convoy attack/defence missions.

I think it'd be good though to collect what designs there are for TOS-onwards that are floating around, as well as other civilian ships. Would be good to have examples. I'm not sure if the RPGs contain any examples.
>>
>>50284053
1. Idealistic fanatic realists: Fanatically believe in the Federation ideals, but realize that there are threats and other things that mean the Federation can't survive just sticking to its ideals, and sometimes (but only sometimes) people have to do evil crap for that ideal. They know what they're doing is evil, they know they can't participate in their ideal Federation, but they are willing to do it for their ideal to exist for others. They don't take over because they don't want to: their ideal of the Federation doesn't include them being involved.
2. Very low numbers: basically this can't be a big enough organization to actually take over or anything, or even to do much besides the highest-priority stuff. They wouldn't do much recruiting, since they have very strict standards (see part 1). They are probably also augmented a la Bashir, to be able to do their job without a big organization (which would leave a paper trail).
3. Semi-independent agents: if any of them get bigger ideas, the rest will take them out. Also allows plausible deniability.
>>
Does anybody have the greentext differentiating the various Trek series through the mechanism of rape? The one with the bit where Kirk responds to Scotty saying "I canna break the laws of physics" with "Why do you LIE like that, Scotty?"

I need it for reasons.
>>
File: Star Trek Captains.jpg (210KB, 876x1079px) Image search: [Google]
Star Trek Captains.jpg
210KB, 876x1079px
>>50285775
I don't have the one someone made with Sisko, sorry.
>>
>>50284227
>>50285001

I like these. In the spirit of 3, rather than making them semi-independent you could also have an internal rule that places a strict limit on the authority you could have after being part of section 31. So if you've worked for Section 31 and then decide you want to be an Admiral or sit on the Federation council, you're going to get a polite warning, then die in a mysterious accident if you persist. The idea is that they know they attract power hungry people and anyone who thinks being a spy is something you aspire to as part of a career rather than something like being called to be an ascetic is toxic to the long term health of the place. So it's made clear that Section 31 is where careers end, violently if need be. This helps them make sure they select for (1) above.
>>
>>50284227
>I think the only way to keep Section 31 from becoming the complete antithesis of the Federation is to have them periodically disband. As if they were an extension of the regular intelligence agencies that was only deemed needed on rare occasions rather than left as a permanently operating branch.
Interestingly, the fact that Ross worked with them (and going by novel canon, so did Trip Tucker), albeit very reluctantly, implies unofficial tolerance, at least during situations like the Dominion War (or the Romulan War). When Section 31 crops up in Kirk's time, they're fucking around with cloaking devices and trying to false flag a war between the Klingons and Romulans, and Kirk creates the "Kirk Cabal" with some other officers to keep Section 31's excesses to a minimum, though they seem to have failed at preventing the events of Undiscovered Country, since Cartwright is a conspirator with 31.
>>
>Sorry GENE thanks for the idea but your way of going about it, is full of shit.
See that's the big kicker in Trek about the UFP, it's not a true utopia. It's a projected false utopia that most citizens of it buy into. Since as long as the weather is nice and the food and items flow without interruption, people will mostly ignore everything else. I mean have could you really have utopia if you were surrounded by Space Mongols, Nazis, and Romans. I would say the average UFP citizen is the most disillusion person in Trek thinking that the UFP is close to perfect when most people in the know. Know for a fact that the ideal utopia is just a thin layer over all the crap that really goes on behind the scenes.
>>
>>50252583
>Was hoping for some mention of an Ancient Vulcan culture to explain why there are vulcanoids besides Romulans on various planets. Perhaps as a later precursor.

Maybe there's something about desert planets that makes the Vulcanoid genetic pattern appear spontaneously and independently from other Vulcanoids. Almost all humanoids are based off of the same species, remember?
>>
>>50281820
Herbert.
>>
File: 2-17-2013 9-54-55 PM.jpg (72KB, 979x733px) Image search: [Google]
2-17-2013 9-54-55 PM.jpg
72KB, 979x733px
>>50289093
>Herbert.
>TFW I have a cousin named Herbert.
WTF was that supposed to mean anyway.
And seriously, with all the robots in TOS, where the heck are all the cyber waifus during the TNG era? I would think there would be enough dateless geeks in the future to make their creation of them a necessity.
>>
just finished ds9 and the ending just kinda fell on its face at the end
>>
File: ZIPfYNB.png (383KB, 610x458px) Image search: [Google]
ZIPfYNB.png
383KB, 610x458px
>>50289556
>just finished ds9 and the ending just kinda fell on its face at the end
I think that's because they wanted to a big avatars of gods end battle and had no idea how they really wanted to do it. The ending feels out of place for a Trek show since spirituality is kind of looked down on by the Star Fleet guys and you had Sisko do the big god battle thing which TNG era Trek really tried to steer away from. Because 'we are too enlightened for that BS' humans which I find full of shit myself. I think they want a mystical B5 like vibe to the ending and totally failed at it because of really bad set up.
>>
>>50289556
It does okay at tieing up the war. But Sisko'S resolution was dogshit.
>>
>>50286573
That's because The Sisko is powerful. The Sisko asks, and they come of their own volition.
>>
File: T6 nebula 1.png (361KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
T6 nebula 1.png
361KB, 1280x720px
Guys, i got pictures, pictures of new science ships for Feds, Roms and Klinks!
>>
File: T6 Nebula 2.png (106KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
T6 Nebula 2.png
106KB, 1280x720px
>>50291144
>>
File: T6 Rom sci ship.png (274KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
T6 Rom sci ship.png
274KB, 1280x720px
>>50291157
>>
File: T6 Klin sci ship.png (155KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
T6 Klin sci ship.png
155KB, 1280x720px
>>50291165
And that will be it then.
>>
File: IMG_0913.jpg (156KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0913.jpg
156KB, 1080x1080px
>>50291144
I still prefer my nebbies looking like nebbies, but this ain't bad

>>50291165
I like this one. It's very sleek but robust.

>>50291174
Not as much a fan of this. Can't put my finder on it but it just looks off
>>
File: Kumari STO.jpg (460KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Kumari STO.jpg
460KB, 1280x720px
>>50291209
Agreed, for some reason Cryptic just cant get their Klingon ships right.
Most of the Romulan ones look good and Feddie ones are a bit of a coin toss with some looking good and others looking shite.

It's also a shame they don't make any more sub-faction ships like they had back in the days.
Feddies having some Vulcan, Andorian and Caitian ships available for them and Klingons getting access to Gorn, Orion and Nausicaan ships.
Really wish they would make more of those at some point.
>>
>>50286573

Thank you. I'm trying to convince a couple of newbies to watch TOS (they've seen TNG and VOY), and I needed something which captures the spirit of the show in a format short enough that their gnat-like attention spans can grasp it.
>>
Daily reminder that the Maquis did nothing wrong.
>>
>>50292352
They all died. At the very least, that qualifies.
>>
>>50292352
It seems like they went through a lot of effort for not a lot a benefit.
>>
File: IMG_0992.jpg (250KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0992.jpg
250KB, 1080x720px
I'm really not a fan of the cryptic designs for Starfleet. Some of them are great but the majority lack aesthetic balance. Which is weird, seeing as they seem to have nailed the Romulans so perfectly.
>>
>>50295322
Their federation designs capture much of the worst unofficial designs; slapping together parts without regard for proportions and placement, with parts comically over-exaggerated (those fat nacelles >>50250624 for a clear example of a single incongruous element fucking with an otherwise ok design).
It's not even that hard to design good looking Federation ships (unless you're one of those people opposed to the style entirely), they're basically as bad as FASA in their own way. And FASA's designs were by and large fucking awful with things like the Loknar only being salvaged by other people redesigning it to not have comically large pylons.
>>
>>50295697
In terms of shitty designs nothing compares to their temporal future ones.
>>
>>50296390

The 26th century or 31st century ones?

I'm not really a fan of either.
>>
File: T6 temporal ships.jpg (269KB, 882x940px) Image search: [Google]
T6 temporal ships.jpg
269KB, 882x940px
>>50296467
I can give the 26th century ones credit for looking very alien compared to contemporary starfleet ships.
But yeah, both look pretty bad.
>>
>>50296467
>>50296505
All of them.

Their one virtue is that they don't look as shit as the Enterprise in the fight with Noyne in Sphere Builder influenced space.

Holy shit that was a special type of bad.
>>
File: Flatprise.jpg (250KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Flatprise.jpg
250KB, 1920x1080px
>>50296617
It was made to look exactly like the enterprise-J in star trek enterprise.
>>
>>50296390
>taste this bad
The only bad one is the pizza cutter.
Admittedly, that skin isn't tops. Stick the 23rd century skin on them (Type 0 I think), and be prepared for something bredy great.
>>
>>50296645
And although that is a reason it is not an excuse because it looked shit in the Enterprise series also.
>>
>>50296722
On that we can both agree.
Seriously, how did they make that monster?
Is it true that the design team was told at last moment that they needed to make a far future starfleet ship for a few seconds long part on a single episode?
>>
>>50296505
>>50296617

Both of your opinions coincide with mine. I think the TOS versions of the 26th century ships look infinitely better. The Ranger and Daedalus in particular.
>>
File: Temporal ships STO.jpg (199KB, 879x821px) Image search: [Google]
Temporal ships STO.jpg
199KB, 879x821px
>>50296770
Agreed.
>>
>>50296808
Gemini really pisses me off. Those random cuts under the bridge really mess with the flow of the curves.
>>
File: Gemini_Class.jpg (377KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Gemini_Class.jpg
377KB, 1920x1080px
>>50296869
Suit yourself, personally i liked that ship, even though it turns like a brick.
>>
>>50296869

In game, it appears that those cut outs are the shuttle bay doors.

I'll see if I can't snag a screenshot for you here in a few minutes.
>>
>>50296903
I like everything else about it, but that cut ruins it. I get mad every time I see your pic.
>>
File: Gemini cutouts.jpg (3MB, 6830x3840px) Image search: [Google]
Gemini cutouts.jpg
3MB, 6830x3840px
Here's a closer look at one my alts Gemini class.
>>
File: Gemini rear doors.jpg (4MB, 6830x3840px) Image search: [Google]
Gemini rear doors.jpg
4MB, 6830x3840px
>>50297258

Part 2. I am of the personal opinion that the cutouts on top of the saucer are the shuttle bay doors, and these here in the back are cargo bay doors.
>>
That would be a really incredibly awkward to use shuttle bay.
>>
>>
So besides the Galaxy class and Prometheus class of the TNG era, are there other ships that have the ability to split apart. Do any of the other races have ships that can pull off that trick in canon or in the STO game?
>>
>>50299615
Klingon ships were supposed to be able to separate at the neck, but that's along with the old Constitution class's one-time separation with the less fucked half being used as a lifeboat.

Other than that, can't think of a single example.
>>
>>50299615
Does each segment of the Prometheus have its own warp drive?
>>
>>50300294

Yes.
>>
>>50300334
Okay then. Still not sure why they didn't make three ships instead, but at least the other two can get away if something happens to the middle segment.
>>
File: Prometheus 6th Nacelle.png (173KB, 1000x288px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus 6th Nacelle.png
173KB, 1000x288px
>>50300379

>why they didn't build three ships

It will forever remain a mystery. I feel like the writers were a little too enamored of the saucer separation on the Galaxy class, and failed to think their idea through.
>>
>>50300379
>Still not sure why they didn't make three ships instead
>TFW multi vector assault mode
The ability for the ship to be designed to do combined attacks as 3 separate parts from the get go. It is really hard in Trek for ships in a combat situation unless they train a lot for it to sink up their attacks on the fly. This thing can without trying. And 3 ships means too much duplication of the command structure and too much in-fighting about who is in charge. And the ships would be too weak on their own in a fight. And the Prometheus class has also the rule of cool going for it. Combined it is literally the fastest ship in the fleet at warp 9.9999 top speed. And with an overbuilt warp core and a back up in the single ship mode, it has a lot of power for travel plus offense and defense. The splitting apart makes it harder for an enemy to just pick on one target while having a 3 on 1 advantage yourself. Gattai ability is where the cool shit is at. This class is the definition of 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag and I like it that way.
>>
>>50300778
Much of that is understandable, at least in the way that the idea of a single fighter replacing and standardizing fighters for the US Military makes sense on the surface, but "too much in-fighting about who is in charge" does not make sense. Chains of command are a clear and structured thing, and in a task force they're going to name the leader of it immediately. And if you disobey that chain of command, you've got to answer for it in a very short time frame.
>>
File: Sovereign MSD.jpg (3MB, 8192x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Sovereign MSD.jpg
3MB, 8192x2304px
>>50300778

>command structure infighting

This is why vice admirals are a thing. One ship of the three would be where the vice admiral's "flag" would be, and the vice admiral would hand down orders to the three captains, just like in a real navy.

>three ships in one

Three maintenance nightmares with a tiny ass crew. Y'know all those times in TNG and VOY where the warp core was going to breach? Triple that. Imagine for a moment, that the Prometheus goes into vector assault mode, and then during the engagement, the separation equipment is damaged, meaning one of the sections can now no longer mate with the other sections.

It would be a mess to move crew around even when each section is combined, since necessarily, you'd want to have very few hatches between sections. I imagine transporting to work would be the most efficient thing to do on a Prometheus.

More than that, if the Prometheus' power and weapons systems are so advanced, powerful, and efficient, it would make more sense to build three ships rather than a single vector assault ship. You build three ships with all the firepower of one of those sections, and now you have a small task group capable of handling whatever the Prometheus could handle, and more because of force multiplication and the fact that three ships would also have three times the shuttles and runabouts.

>rule of cool

Maybe to you, but I see a boondoggle. I see a ship that requires extensive and extended time in dry dock to keep it in fighting trim. It's so complicated that it increases the chances something will go wrong.

Plus, all the time and materials spent on a single Prometheus could probably build one and a half of pic related.
>>
>>50300863
>but "too much in-fighting about who is in charge" does not make sense
You say that but it seems to happen in Star Fleet more often than you would think. The trust factor in a crew is incredibly important between ships even more so and much harder to create.
>>
>>50300942
Combined it has all the capabilities (science, cargo, scanning, whatever) as a small cruiser (like the Intrepid class). Basically, it can do everything Voyager can do, with the combat ability of 3 Defiants when needed. And all that with a crew of two EMH's.
>This is why vice admirals are a thing.
>implying Starfleet has enough VA's to command every three/four starship flight
They barely get one admiral per armada, as per DS9. Starfleet, for being the military of the Federation, is really bad at the whole fleet action thing. And those sorts of situations don't come up often enough to resort to that; in those situations they just seem to resort to a Hero-tier captain. And even then, those are in larger fleets anyways, not just a small group.
The whole point of the Prom is that you only have three ships when necessary; otherwise, you just have one as per normal. You don't have to put together a task force, since you have three ships right there in case of emergency.
>maintenance nightmares
A modern starship isn't DS9. Half the time the Enterprise needs its repair crew is when Geordi, Data, and Wesley are screwing around because they have nothing better to do. Maybe the Prom would have actual use of its engineering department.
>It would be a mess to move crew around even when each section is combined
Why would it be any more difficult than a normal ship? You might not have so many jeffries tubes, but how many turbolifts a ship that size has anyways? If the Ent-D can evacuate hundreds of people to its saucer section (which would have the same interface issues, since it was supposed to be used often enough in combat situations) in a few minutes with apparently not too many difficulties.
>>
File: gams.jpg (46KB, 376x501px) Image search: [Google]
gams.jpg
46KB, 376x501px
/tg/ what is the name of that Trek-inspired tabletop game that's ridiculously simple? A pdf gets posted of it all the time around here.

Spaceships and love? Love and laserbeams? I forget entirely. Please help!
>>
>>50301476
here you go
>>
>>50301489
Thank you so much! You're a lifesaver.
>>
File: PrometheusMSD.jpg (70KB, 999x483px) Image search: [Google]
PrometheusMSD.jpg
70KB, 999x483px
>>50300942
>You build three ships with all the firepower of one of those sections, and now you have a small task group capable of handling whatever the Prometheus could handle, and more because of force multiplication and the fact that three ships would also have three times the shuttles and runabouts.
Have you ever watched and paid attention to any Trek at all? The way that UFP/Star Fleet uses their ships is to spread out as much as possible to cover as much area as possible. A task force formation is not ideal for a exploration/science gathering mind set. So to the thinking of Star Fleet grouping ships together just for exploring is a waste. A task force to them only makes sense in hostile situation like a blockade/war. Star Fleet likes tech solutions to problems and the Prometheus class is one way to solve the problem of deep space exploration with a single ship while still having the power of a wolf pack to call on when needed. This works for Star Fleet since they like to spread out their ships out very much. So calling for help most of the time means it's kind of a lost cause because by the time help arrives it is usually too late. This way calling for aid is less necessary or needed.
>>
File: Prometheus.jpg (82KB, 1024x563px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus.jpg
82KB, 1024x563px
>>50300942
>Three maintenance nightmares with a tiny ass crew.
You are assuming a lot with that statement anon. Yes, the ship is going to be more complex but not so much that it will be impossible to manage. You would think they took this into account and streamlined the upkeep of the ship. And they do how holo-projectors all over the ship so if they need more hands they can make them to do routine maintenance like they had all those EMH mark ones doing on rocks in space with the mining. And the systems could be somewhat self repairing and do their own upkeep. We didn't get a full overview of what the Prometheus could do. So they may have addressed the work it takes to keep a ship like that functional. I would still say that maintenance for one Prometheus class ship would be less than 3 smaller vessels mean to simulate the abilities of the one bigger ship.
>>
>>50301003
I love how blatantly bigoted against machines and augments the Federation is. And nobody ever calls them out on it.
>>
>>50304361
Augments and Borg have caused the UFP to give in to it's fear.

No cybernetics just in case

No genetic modifications just in case

Prime directive is another symptom of this. It is moral cowardice as government policy.
>>
>>50300942
>Implying that federation ships have significant maintenance requirements to begin with
If they did the ridiculous all-officer system of starfleet would fucking implode.
>>
>>50304561
No, I get that, but they're even against augments who had no choice in the matter. Hell, if Dr. Bashir's parents had never told him he'd have had no idea that he was a genetically altered person, and there'd have never been any trouble with his career. Cybernetics at least has some uncanny valley shit going for it to make people afraid, but for such an enlightened group of people they seem obsessed with oppressing those who are trying to be better.
>>
>>50304561
>>50304610
But where is the limit of augmenting one with tech or gene mods?
Are glasses and visors ok?
How about bracers for teeth and bones?
Does a communicator count as a cybernetic augment if you keep it on your person at all times?
And finally, how come federation hasn't turned into a bunch of drooling retards. After all, if you go on like our modern society where "Weaker genetical matter" is not culled away via natural selection and you aren't curing these genetical defects with science, how is the society still functional?
>>
>>50304561
>Prime directive is another symptom of this. It is moral cowardice as government policy.

It didn't used to be...

When it was originally stated in TOS, it was that the Federation was forbidden from interfering in the natural development of viable pre-warp cultures ("culture" here meaning the collective cultures of an entire planet, not necessarily any one culture of that planet). Note that word - "viable". The pre-warp culture had to be doing basically fine on its own and not on a path to destruction.

So the Prime Directive would stop a starship captain from, say, interfering in a planet's local equivalent of World War II, since it's not like World War II was going to wipe out the human species.

However, the Prime Directive would *not* prevent a starship captain from, for example, stopping a volcanic eruption that would kill off an entire stone-age tech species, or blowing up a meteor, or the like, though it would be best if the starship captain endeavored to remain hidden from the populace.

Nor would the Prime Directive as originally worded prevent a starship captain from saving refugees from a bronze-age tech planet who's atmosphere is fading out fast. Even if the captain can't possibly save all of them, it would be expected that they try to save SOME of them.

However, at some point between Kirk's time and Picard's time, the "viable" part of the Prime Directive was dropped; as well, the Prime Directive was immensely expanded. Note that the Directive, for example, originally said nothing about interaction with post-warp cultures; yet by the time of TNG, DS9, and VOY, the Prime Directive is sited as the reason why the Federation tries to avoid interfering in the internal politics of the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, and so on, unless specifically invited in by the powers-that-be; or to prevent another power from interfering.

I much prefer the TOS version.
>>
>>50304642
>After all, if you go on like our modern society where "Weaker genetical matter" is not culled away via natural selection and you aren't curing these genetical defects with science, how is the society still functional?

Presumably, the Eugenics Wars of 1992-96, World War III, and the various pre- and post-nuclear horrors of World War III alongside individuals like Colonel Green, saw to it that large swaths of "genetically imperfect" (however they defined that) people were killed off.

Having said that, genetic defects make up only a small portion of the natural population anyway, and those with actually crippling genetic defects (Down's syndrome, etc.) are unlikely to reproduce regardless.
>>
>>50304642
>But where is the limit of augmenting one with tech or gene mods?
The instant you scare someone or hurt their widdle feelings and they discover that you're augmented in some way, and they get to scream "AUGMENT! SEE! SUPERIOR ABILITY = SUPERIOR AMBITION!"
>>
>>50303597
>EMH mark ones doing on rocks in space with the mining

That was so fucking retarded. I get the hamfisted point the scene was making but christ on a bike it was incredibly dumb if you spend more than half a second pondering it.
>>
>>50299615
romulans in STO have the Ha'apax whose tech is based on stolen prometheus plans.
it's more of a d'deridex with underslung defiant, than 3 equal parts like the prometheus.
>>
>>50291174
I can't tell if it's a bad angle, or if it has a massive cannon on one side in true klingon sciencery
>>
Wales beating adversity to win, despite Cuthbert being on the pitch for a full 80 minutes.
>>
File: IMG_0789.jpg (347KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0789.jpg
347KB, 1080x1080px
>>50305393
Fuck, this is why you should always double check which tab you're on before posting. Here, have a comfy runabout by way of apology
>>
>>50305421
With the stated dimensions of the runabout, you'd think it would be bigger inside. Still cozy as hell, 8/10, would Space RV Trip in.
>>
>>50305537
>1 week trip from Sol to Risa
>Beer fridge mission module
>BBQ mission module
>few friends

Sounds class
>>
File: FINAL010[1].jpg (107KB, 1200x320px) Image search: [Google]
FINAL010[1].jpg
107KB, 1200x320px
>archer class can technically fit inside the Galaxy classes hangar
can someone confirm/disprove this?
>>
>>50304953
It just goes to show that the Federation and Starfleet is desperate for a slave populace that they don't have to feel bad about. They tried it with Data by trying to judge him as property until Picard made a Picard speech, they tried it with Data's daughter who had a mental breakdown from it and died and they tried it with the Exocomps. The EMG Mk1's never had anyone stand up and fight for them like the previous examples. Maybe because Moriarty was locked in a box.

Maybe their need for a slave populace stems from the fact that it's hard finding people willing to do shit jobs in a moneyless economy but they should have thought of that before they jumped on that bandwagon.
>>
>>50305957
> moneyless economy

So what we're they paying Quark with?
>>
>>50306260
He's paying the Bajorans GPL. The Federation just runs the station and performs upkeep and maintenance.
>>
>>50306273
I meant what were O'Brien and Bashir using to pay for their drinks? Quark definitely does run on a cash economy.
>>
>>50306318
Most likely, Starfleet officers get a GPL stipend when working outside of Federation territory.
>>
File: 112687.jpg (61KB, 920x688px) Image search: [Google]
112687.jpg
61KB, 920x688px
>>50305957
I think that's why Star Fleet went with holo-emitters all over the Prometheus class ships. It wasn't just so that the EMH could have free reign though the ship but so they could also have a virtual crew boost their numbers if need be. I'm guessing the THREE computer cores could help a lot with maintaining a large holo crew. And lobotomized exocomps could do work on the outside of the ship.
>>
>>50305957
>They tried it with Data by trying to judge him as property
One dude wanted to try and replicate Soong's work

>they tried it with Data's daughter
That's not what happened in the episode at all, that was removing her and possibly Data from the Enterprise to protect the species.

>they tried it with the Exocomps
Exocomps were literally made to be automated tools, them turning out to be sapient was accidental and irregular.
>>
>>50300942
>Sovereign MSD

Alright, can you spot the following?

Duck
DeLorean
Guardian of Forever
Nomad space probe
Dog upside-down in a hampster wheel
The blue crewman
The TARDIS
>>
>>50307114
Also a Romulan scorpion fighter in the aft shuttlebay.
>>
>>50307114
I found a movie theater, a giant lightsaber and cerebro
>>
>>50305537
It is pretty big, but we only see one of the back rooms once, I think (and that was on TNG, not DS9).
>>
>>50306260
Federation credits. Same thing Crusher used to buy her ayy fabric with in the first ep of TNG (which she had a personal account of, btw).
I wonder who operates the credit-GPL exchange on DS9, though. Almost certainly not Quark - he'd be A LOT richer in that case. There don't seem to be any other Ferengi besides his waiters. I figure that Bolian bank takes care of it. So the Federation types get a good exchange rate, and don't get fleeced like a Ferengi would do.
>>
>>50307828
The Federation has their own Treasury department that pegs GPL to Fed Credits, or at least had them in FASA's stuff with non Fed powers in the 80s.
>>
>>50250620
>>50250746
For the record my(nebbie's) site is-
http://klingonhistory.weebly.com/

There's not much on there though. I have a few other rants saved offline, mostly regarding the minutiae of Klingon and Federation governance, but I'm not sure that they really merit addition
>>
So, out of curiosity, who is /stg/'s favourite character? Across all of the show or 1 per show, your choice.

I'm quite a big fan of Garak. He didn't appear too often. And when he did, he was compelling and engaging.
>>
>>50311834
Jeffrey Combs is my favorite character.
>>
>>50311870
A respectable position. I only wish that Weyoun could have somehow met Brunt.
>>
>>50311910
And as he's talking about how his family got started on its path to glory from a chance meeting with the first Hyu-mon explorer, an absolutely ANCIENT Shran walks in with his great-grandchildren?
>>
>>50311834
Can't pick one so:
TOS: McCoy
TNG: LaForge
DS9: Garak
VOY: toss up between 7of9 and the Doctor.
ENT: Reed
>>
>>50311834
I have a thing for the less human characters in most of the Trek shows. Data, Odo, and the Doctor were always kind of fun as characters looking at humanity from the outside in.
>>
>>50311834
Garak for sure. As long as I'm talking about DS9, Dukat gets an honorable mention as well.

TOS goes to McCoy, because reasons.

TNG has to be Picard, though it's close because they (to my taste, anyway) were a damn good ensemble.

I never got really in to Voyager, so I can't offer a good opinion there. My bad.

Actually just finished watching Enterprise (didn't when it came out). Favorite? Shran, hands down, though I'd give Hoshi an honorable mention as well.
>>
>>50313510
>Shran
Mah Pinkskin.
>>
File: The-Turing-Test3.png.jpg (34KB, 350x466px) Image search: [Google]
The-Turing-Test3.png.jpg
34KB, 350x466px
So what /stg/ opinion on AI advancement in Trek setting? Is it really worth it to keep going forward in that field if you have to give it rights the instant someone thinks your creation is sapient? I mean would you want to work on a refit of a computer core if what you did could oops a sapient ship intelligence? For instance, we had sapient AI ships in that other Gene show and Wesley oops sapient nanos in one episode.
>>
>>50313695
>Not wanting exocomp buddies
>Not wanting your ship to be part of the crew

On the note of the ships, the federation computer is one of the single most powerful computational devices amongst all the nations, can talk, break down complex and oftimes confusing orders and follow them precisely as meant, and in tos manages to GIGGLE after an upgrade.

Are the ships computers actually sentient and just going along for the ride? Was the Dominion war really just a plot by the AI overlords of the Federation to reproduce themselves in far greater numbers than ever before? Is the Borg villian decay actually caused by them being subverted by these almighty space dwelling metal minds?!
>>
File: futurmalovearocket.png (172KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
futurmalovearocket.png
172KB, 500x373px
>>50314581
>>Not wanting your ship to be part of the crew
>Are the ships computers actually sentient and just going along for the ride?
Well, the real problem is when you crew starts wanting to date the ship. Or worst yet when the ship wants to date the crew and then it gets rejected. Shit could really hit the fan at that point.
>>
>>50314581

> "Star Trek General" will now be renamed to "The Culture General (Gravitas Shipment Held by Customs)"
>>
>>50314768
>TFW I keep hearing about 'The Culture'.
So how is the book series that has these guys are from? Is it a good read?
>>
>>50316156
I tried to read the first book in the series. Everyone seemed like a pretentious prick, and they were obsessed with finding out who uplifted humanity. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for the book, but I didn't enjoy it. I WANT to because I've heard fantastic things about the BOLO and the series in general, but I think I'll need to approach it later.
>>
>>50304981
Thanks for the info I found a link to it in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK7XchF10Ac
Looks interesting and it has a unique play style. The DPS plus healer combo has its upside for sure. I just think in universe and not the game that this would be just a proof of concept type project. Instead of a ship they would really use heavily though out their fleet. Since the Romulans like to use wolf pack tactics already a ship like this seems redundant. Unlike the Prometheus class which works better for Star Fleet since they rarely use wolf pack/task force formations in normal situations.
>>
File: avenger.jpg (54KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
avenger.jpg
54KB, 960x720px
Dear /stg/;

How do I resist the urge to spend all my spare cashmonies on model starships?
I mean, physical models, not like STO.

yrs.
some asshole
>>
>>50318990
>Anon accidentally posts in another thread, probably from /his/
>Turns out its perfect for my paper
Thanks Anon!
>>
>>50319109
/hwg/, would not touch /his/ with a barge pole

No problemo.
>>
>>50319095
Spend all your money on statuettes of anime characters.
>>
File: Ryo-Ohki.jpg (20KB, 717x540px) Image search: [Google]
Ryo-Ohki.jpg
20KB, 717x540px
>>50319477
Isn't that transferring the problem rather than resisting it, especially since that might be anime characters who are starships?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (73KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
73KB, 1920x1080px
>>50319581
I take the fifth.
>>
File: 43890.jpg (115KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
43890.jpg
115KB, 640x480px
>>50319581
>>50319618
>TFW I know that feel
>>
>>50319095
Think positively.
Your descendants or alternatively the folks who raid your apartment after your passing, will find a large collection of by then (hopefully) valuable collectors items.
This way you can bring wealth to those who come after you.
>>
>>50319826
This is also not discouraging me from buying starship models
>>
>>50320435
It wasn't supposed to.
>>
>>50319095
I resist the urge by being poor. When I have money I spend it on models, thus I remain eternally penniless in order to control that and my other habits.

That being said, I wish I had the talent to do custom work like that ship you posted, holy shit that is well done.

>>50319581
>Ryo-Ohki
Is there a more adorable starship?
>>
>>50319095
didnt STO team up with some 3d printer people so you could 3d print your STO ships?
>>
File: IMG_0864.jpg (238KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0864.jpg
238KB, 1080x1080px
>>50320624
Not available yet. But when it is... let's just say I've enough money put aside to buy a small fleet.
>>
File: Paris.jpg (80KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Paris.jpg
80KB, 720x960px
>>50320491
This store that is tempting me the most right now https://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models

Being poor definitely helps. I should endeavour to do more Christmas shopping to deprive myself of funds to spend on myself and then feel guilty about my selfishness whilst secretly thinking that I should have spent the money on starships regardless...
>>
>>50320749
Those SFM ships look mighty tasty.
>>
File: 1470276360450.jpg (406KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1470276360450.jpg
406KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>50316156

YMMV. Some people find the Culture novels irritating. I think they're all very well written and engaging. But the "Utopian society secretly run by machines who, while benevolent, have zero qualms about rearranging the universe according to their own interests and ideas about morality." Idea there is kind of what The Culture is all about.
>>
>>50322602
>Mirandas are refits.
Nope, won't have that
>>
File: 1471048868168.jpg (115KB, 1652x818px) Image search: [Google]
1471048868168.jpg
115KB, 1652x818px
>>50324535

I only posted it because the thread was on page 10. Have a Reliant.
>>
File: IMG_0953.jpg (163KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0953.jpg
163KB, 1080x1080px
>>50324995
Have a golden age flyby.
>>
File: DSCN4586_zps65b62663.jpg (45KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4586_zps65b62663.jpg
45KB, 1024x768px
What's some good colours for Gorn starships that are not green?
>>
One of these days I'm going to have to learn to draw/shoop properly, so I can have a go at designing ships myself without them looking like bad scribbles. One thing I'd like to do is try and update the SFB Gorn designs to a TNG+ era, as I've never really liked the blocky stuff they've been stuck with in other interpretations. I think these things have potential, they've certainly got their own style going for them, and take the additional details well so that despite using saucer/engineering hulls and fairly typical nacelles, they don't look like Star Fleet ships.
>>
File: Enterprise-tan.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Enterprise-tan.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
>>50320749
>TFW that Paris class ship has Bullet/missile tits
CAN'T UNSEE.......boy I really need to get out more :P
>>
>>50327602
It's just big phasers/lasers (depending on when). Small ship, big guns to compensate for fairly weak armament without the extra pods, like the Miranda rollbar megaphasers only more primitive and carrying their own power supply so as to not limit it unduly by straining the main reactor.

And yes, you do. We all do.
>>
>>50327602
>>50327737
You know considering the size of the fandom you would think it would be easier to find Trek related Mecha Musume.
>>
>>50326243
I'd say either brownish yellow or yellow green or brownish green
>>
File: ST wrong neighborhood.jpg (77KB, 480x471px) Image search: [Google]
ST wrong neighborhood.jpg
77KB, 480x471px
So I was wondering is the UFP/Star Fleet the only guys stupid enough not to employee 'wolf pack' tactics because of 'reasons'? It seems all the other major space governments use this a lot like the KE, CU, And RR. So can a 'peaceful' UFP use 'wolf pack' tactics or would that pretty much go totally against their ideals if not in a war time situation.
>>
>>50330302
Starfleet has ships that are generally a match for any 2 of 3 ships sent against them, and often patrol alone, so not really. In an actual war time situation, those tactics would certainly be in use, but 90% of the time, the Feds don't need to do it.
>>
>>50313691
So what happens when an Andorian addresses a black guy? Or is pinkskin just a thing the Imperial Guard had because they weren't used to humans yet?
>>
>>50330387
Never addressed, not even when Shran was standing right next to Laredo.
>>
File: sisko light weight.jpg (68KB, 625x477px) Image search: [Google]
sisko light weight.jpg
68KB, 625x477px
>>50330627
So to Shran are darkies non-people to him since he never acknowledges them?
>TFW even blue aliens are racist against black person.
>>
>>50330796
It's more to do with the fact that the writers just sort of forgot that Laredo was even there.

Hell I'm calling him Laredo because I can't remember his name. I think it was Tucker or Tayler or Trevor or something starting with T.
>>
>>50330862
Mayweather?
>>
>>50331506
I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off with that one.

Only character that got shafted by the writers more was that Romulan officer from DS9 who operated the cloaking device for legal loophole reasons. They just plain forgot she was a thing and stopped writing lines for her.
>>
>>50331559
His first name is Travis so you were kinda close. Only reason it's fresh in my mind is because I've been rewatching enterprise
>>
>>50331613
Speaking of watching Trek series, there is a channel I get that shows all the trek series on it even the cartoon on Sundays.
Is it just me or do the tech/engineer guys always seem to get the shaft on those shows? Was just watching ENT and Trip meets a alien lady that's into him. And then she gets HIM PREGNANT! On top of that he gets a whole ship full of Klingons laughing at him. That's just cold. What is it with Trek engineers and women in general, do the writers just hate nerds so much that they just have to make them suffer just that little extra bit?
>>
>>50332215
Well what are the odds that engineers will be any more socially successful in the future than they are now? I think the mishaps of Barclay, Geordi, Tucker, Kim, etc. are because they're just socially inept when it comes to those deep personal relationships, kinda like modern tech people (I would know) so they're more vulnerable to getting into those bad situations because they rush in and act without thinking because they're so desperate for that emotional attention/connection.
>>
Is the 3D printed STO ships service dead already? There hasn't been a peep about it since the initial announcement over two months ago
>>
>>50334853
Might be. You'd think they'd have it up already, for the christmas market, if it was happening.
>>
>>50334853
They were talking like 60 or 70 dollars for them though. I mean, I can get a 1/350 Enterprise Refit or Miranda for that kind of money, and it won't be smaller than the 1/1000 kits.
>>
>>50335042
Looking at their partner's prices I was expecting around $100 per model, maybe more because of the extra licensing and royalty fees that might come with a big franchise like star trek
>>
File: ClU8tB9WAAEov3q.jpg (37KB, 637x825px) Image search: [Google]
ClU8tB9WAAEov3q.jpg
37KB, 637x825px
>>
>>50336472
If that ends up being the premise for Discovery, then color me intrigued
>>
File: Troi 1.jpg (98KB, 600x777px) Image search: [Google]
Troi 1.jpg
98KB, 600x777px
>>50336551
I have no idea why that would ever be the case.

Have a vision of what Troi was supposed to be as councillor anyway.
>>
File: Troi 2.jpg (88KB, 600x777px) Image search: [Google]
Troi 2.jpg
88KB, 600x777px
>>50336609
>>
>>50336609
> The right mix of lubricating relaxation
Giggity
>>
File: Feddie Chain of Command.png (148KB, 1022x442px) Image search: [Google]
Feddie Chain of Command.png
148KB, 1022x442px
>>50336609
>>50336628
A goddamn shame no one lifted the chain of command from FASA.
>>
>>50336714
Wasn't the FASA TNG stuff mostly taken from the season 1 writer's bibles?
>>
>>50337149
Modified so as to fit into the setting FASA made, yeah. Including Gene's crazy "The Klingons joined the Federation" idea.
>>
>>50336609
>>50336684
>The right mix of lubricating relaxation
So cargo bay 3 confirmed for renovation into Orion sex slave parlor!?
>>
>>50337201
Was that really Gene's idea? Because from what I've read he was against Klingons even making an appearance so as to lessen comparisons with the original series, much like the directive to not have stories about the original cast or their descendants.

Which is a directive I quite like come to think of it (even though breaking it gave us Relics... I can leave Unification though); far too much stuff, especially fanfiction, relies on the lazy tying of a character to an old one through relations to give them context, so the setting gets dominated by small groups of characters and their extended family like it was medieval Europe or something.
>>
>>50337320
Some of the earlier revisions of the TNG bible explained that the reason Worf was part of Starfleet was because the Klingons had joined the Federation, until the writers of said bible realize how batshit crazy that would end up being. It may not have been Gene directly, it might have been his lawyer.
>>
>>50337270
Nah, just use it to justify the silly theory we have about Troi being the ship's chief whore; a role much like a ship's cat in maintaining the psychological wellbeing of the crew. But less petting the pussy and more penetrating.
>>
File: 1476535471128.jpg (406KB, 1024x1497px) Image search: [Google]
1476535471128.jpg
406KB, 1024x1497px
>>50337270
>Orion sex slave
So what's the real deal with them? Is it just sex musk thing or do they have anything else going for them than just sex appeal? Because there are a lot of pretty aliens in trek besides them.
>>
>>50337444
I suspect it is a combination of exotic skin color with green skin being fairly distinct and the implied sexual elements of the female slave trade. The original appearance of the Orion Slave Girl in the TOS episode "The Cage" said that the girls weird and actually enjoyed being slaves.
>>
>>50337444
No one really knows what they have besides sex considering they barely get any screentime
>>
>>50339495
Most of their screen time was on Enterprise.
It wasn't good screentime.
>>
>>50339924
I like to pretend that one episode doesn't exist, although I've hated that plot trope in every series I've seen it in. The Orion chick in Borderlands was good though
>>
If I read The 50 Year Mission, will it make me hate Star Trek?

I mean I want to read it... but I don't want to hate the show/setting because of the realities of how it was made.
I mean, I've already heard tales of just how bad Rick Berman was. A whole book of them would be incredibly depressing.
>>
>>50340866
I think it will give you a greater appreciation. Star Trek is everything it is (and isn't what it isn't), despite everything that could have, and did, go wrong.
>>
File: Ch2zrQJXAAEwwDw.jpg (76KB, 600x777px) Image search: [Google]
Ch2zrQJXAAEwwDw.jpg
76KB, 600x777px
>>
File: 1476830998322.jpg (322KB, 2800x1178px) Image search: [Google]
1476830998322.jpg
322KB, 2800x1178px
>>50339924
>Most of their screen time was on Enterprise.
>>50339495
>>50337918
I think they should have picked pretty ladies to be female Orion instead of the space Kardasians I think. And the way they look in the episode looked like they were photoshopped in, it just looks bad.
>>
>>50341949
*prettier
>>
>>50341949
Yeah those ladies look like the kind you'd find puking outside of a club a 2am.
>>
>>50340866
What's the 50 Year Mission?
>>
File: TheFiftyYearMissionHeader.png (482KB, 688x371px) Image search: [Google]
TheFiftyYearMissionHeader.png
482KB, 688x371px
>>50342325
>>
File: 1476428829582.png (892KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1476428829582.png
892KB, 1000x1500px
You know if I were to use a ship as a space liner, the Sydney class doesn't look half bad as a choice I would use. What would you use as a space liner, /stg/?
>>
File: IMG_1007.jpg (163KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1007.jpg
163KB, 800x600px
>>50345093
Something like Constellation class transport in that image. I quite like the "space jet-liner" aesthetic like pic-related.
>>
>>50341949
>>50342014

>TOS found relatively elegant looking females for their Orions
>Enterprise just finds the first HAWT chicks they can find because they lazy.

Enterprise lacked dignity.
>>
>>50346690
Well we are talking about a show that had regular sexualized "decontamination" scenes, and a show that removed the shirt of its comm officer who was inexplicably not wearing a bra for that one moment in time
>>
File: 20130407-050731.jpg (130KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
20130407-050731.jpg
130KB, 1024x768px
>>50346690
>TFW Marta is cute, CUTE!
I think I like my Orion slave girls cute and slutty. Too bad she was bat shit crazy.
>>
>>50348090

This right here and the Menagerie are why I have a fetish for green women. TOS could be damn sexy when it wanted to be.
>>
File: prometheus-1.jpg (37KB, 432x332px) Image search: [Google]
prometheus-1.jpg
37KB, 432x332px
Anyone have any knowledge about the how good or bad these resin kits are? I kind of really want a U.S.S. Prometheus as a model maybe even play an oversized game of Star Fleet battles with them.
http://www.federationmodels.com/model_kits/starcraft_models/default.htm
This is where you can purchase the kits at if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tzSAcFyWHM
Here's what they look like in person and the size comparison between Intrepid class and the Prometheus class happens around 13 minutes.
>>
File: fedmodtit.jpg (272KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
fedmodtit.jpg
272KB, 2048x1152px
>>50349008
I've also been looking at this range, generally I check starship modelling places to see if anyone has posted about them. Sometimes it even works.

Found this pre-cleanup pic of their Titan that should give a good gauge of casting quality.
>>
>>50349506
Oof, I hope those parts fit better when finished.
>>
>>50349622
Well, they look like they fit solidly as it is (ship isn't assembled at all), doesn't look like the guy's managed to get around to building it yet though. Pic was from October. Either way, that looks like an easy clean-up job, anything not fit can probably be easily tweaked by ye olde hot water method or just some cutting and filling.

I don't even build resin stuff often (pretty rarely even) but despite the size even that doesn't look intimidating to me. I'm seeing a bunch of praise for their decals too.
>>
>>50349749
Hm. They look to be about 1/1200 or thereabouts. Or else scaled to the size of the 1/1000 Galaxy and scaled down from there. Doesn't really match the scale of what I've got already, and for 75 dollars, I'd want closer to my 1/350 stuff.
>>
>>50350364
All scales are listed on the link >>50349008

They're 1:1400 for the most part.
>>
File: Poor hoshi.jpg (59KB, 637x825px) Image search: [Google]
Poor hoshi.jpg
59KB, 637x825px
Hoshi: a character so threadbare that they had to double-space the bible entry to barely fill a single page.
>>
>>50352520
That was obviously made before they ever got close to writing an episode.
>feisty
>tries the patience of the crew
>tweaks the vulcan
What we got was so much better, even if she didn't turn out that good.
>>
>>50352520

I occasionally wonder who gets paid to write tired stuff like this, and if they find it fulfilling.
>>
>>50355123
Well, it's not me.
>>
>>50355123
I doubt it's fulfilling, but neccessary. I would assume the bible entries are made by the core writing/production team, less out of passion and more as a way of guaranteeing consistency.
>>
More STO stuff.
>hippies
>>
>>50355972

Neat. I like that some of the ship diagrams look like they came out of the old Starfleet Technical Manual. The only thing it's missing is the Daedalus (though I realize she's the oldest of them).
>>
File: 0097333-Large.jpg (156KB, 1000x639px) Image search: [Google]
0097333-Large.jpg
156KB, 1000x639px
>>50349008
>>50349506
>>50349749
>1:1400
So is this a good scale for Star Trek models? Or would a little bigger be better? I've seen a link that shows off the diecast one and it's $24.95.
http://www.historicaviation.com/USS-Prometheus-Die-Cast-Model/productinfo/0097333/
And here's a link that shows off the diecast itself, I'm not that impressed as the reviewer seems to be with it. The quality seems around micro machines level and the paint could have been much better along with some of the other details. Since you are paying over 20 dollars for it I was hoping for a little more. Does any company make model kits in larger scales like 1:700 or 1:600?
>>
>>50357478
Oops forgot to add link to the diecast model, sorry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKRQ2PUjGwc
>>
>>50355972
I love the FanMade magazines that look like something they would actually publish in universe...
>>
File: 18wtpzocz5qkxjpg.jpg (75KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
18wtpzocz5qkxjpg.jpg
75KB, 800x450px
Bump for so many alien women to seek out and explore and so little time.
>>
T6 nebby and other race variants here!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10278793
>>
>>50355972
Okay, so who were those ships on page 8? They look vaguely familiar, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank.
>>
File: NaKuhl ship2.jpg (738KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NaKuhl ship2.jpg
738KB, 1920x1080px
>>50361752
The "Unknown" ships were Na'Kuhl time ships, trying to fuck us up in the past.
>>
The thread slowing down so lets throw some fuel on it.
>R-rated?
>Michelle Yeoh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWNSzJDxio8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txGQNj2U5Ww
So these are just rumors so far but it does make me kind of wonder how they are going to do this. I mean if they do nudity and sex in Trek. I don't think it would be that shocking, since they have been hinting at nude weddings for so long. They should just show it already and all the sex we KNOW goes on in trek. The swearing if they do, do it would be interesting. Since language changes over time would they still use shit and fuck as sweat words?
>>
>>50363766
Mark my words.
They are gonna use stuff like "Hetero" and "Man" as space future curse words.
>>
>>50363766
Sex is just par for the course these days for anything trying to be 'event' tv. I still find it fairly cringeworthy though given pron is so readily available, it nearly always comes off as cheap titillation rather than being used as just part of events (much like forcing attention on diversity rather than just having diversity and getting on with things). Old 'trek was pretty bad about trying to be sexy though a lot of the time, crippled by tv restrictions but even then having real difficulty with even just trying to imply sexiness a lot of the time.

Nudity is fine, though expensive for anyone remotely inhuman due to the amount of additional makeup and prosthetics needed so I would expect it to definitely be a focused-upon, brief event thrown in every now and again rather than something you'd see all the time.

Swearing just seems wrong for the setting, or at least Star Fleet characters. I get that it previously wasn't done because TV, but it is entirely unnecessary, so the prospect of characters slinging around modern/futureman cursing just takes away from it being star trek for me.
>>
>>50363922
I'd wager there'll be more racism. "pink skin" is about the entry level of racial slurs the Andorians can muster.
>>
>>50365311
The 'pink skin' thing was cringeworthy in the extreme.
>>
>>50365311
>>50365791
I bet that was something they came up with before they met the Vulcans - maybe the Telarites or something. Obviously the Vulcans aren't all "pink" skinned.
Didn't Shran once call Mayweather a pink-skin? I can't remember.
>>
>>50366403
>Didn't Shran once call Mayweather a pink-skin? I can't remember.

No, because Mayweather was a nonentity and that would mean acknowledging his existence.
>>
>>50366403
If the writers had bothered to have people call the Andorians out on their bullshit maybe it's inclusion could have been justified, but instead they just kept it up because I dunno, maybe they thought it was funny or cute.
>>
>>50367535
>Alien racism? Cute?
It's not cute, it is probably realistic since we see a lot of racism between species in Trek. I mean none of the many races in trek really like each other like the Klingons and Romulans. Those two races seem to really have a hate boner for each other barring some covert working together by some parties in each race and the odd prison camp. I think the species racism between races may get a bit more colorful on ST:D since it doesn't have to be PG anymore.
>>
Question for anyone who's interested:
Is there a computer equivalent to FASA's Starship Tactical Combat Simulator? You know, like of like how Megamek is Battletech's version.
>>
>>50368413
What it is damned unprofessional. Both for the Andorians dishing it out, and the Enterprise crew for not challenging it. Especially since they spend so much time cooperating whilst one side was basically calling them niggers the whole time. Can't even put it down to bantz because the bantz were not earned.
>>
>>50369686
I think they should be/should have been more creative with there put downs in Enterprise really like the Andorians using a put down word/phrase in their own lauguage to refer to humans. In TNG we kind of get that a lot from the Klingons that they are totally being 'niggas' behind the Feds back when they interact with them. Hell, we even get a scene where a Klingon compliments Picard on how well he swears in Klingon. The new show could just keep that up but give us subtitles now so the plebs who don't know Klingon can get in on the joke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJuHgBFZOSU
Said scene where Picard gets to show off his badass Klingon swearing skills.
>>
What's the comfiest episode, and why is it Carbon Creek?
>>
File: q_100.jpg (622KB, 1920x826px) Image search: [Google]
q_100.jpg
622KB, 1920x826px
>>50363766
http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-casts-crouching-tiger-star-michelle-yeoh-in-huge-role/ar-AAkGA9j?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
Well, it looks like the Michelle Yeoh rumor is at least true. Now are they going to make her one of the lesbian love interests or not? That a character is into girl on girl stuff isn't new to Trek but making it such a core issue to a character is some what troubling to me. I wonder if she will show up in the first episode since her character isn't stationed on the Discovery.
>>
File: ST_TroubleWithTribbles.jpg (31KB, 400x294px) Image search: [Google]
ST_TroubleWithTribbles.jpg
31KB, 400x294px
>>50372854
>TFW The Trouble with Tribbles
I know it's like an easy answer but this is just a fun episode. You could tell it was an episode where Kirk really wanted to be able to punch something but couldn't. It had Trelane cosplaying as a Klingon Captain, embarrassing/funny Kirk moments and Scotty defending the honor of his ship what more could you ask for.
>>
File: cat thinking.jpg (85KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
cat thinking.jpg
85KB, 800x534px
is the Typhon Pact series worth reading?

is there some kind of chronological order i should be reading these books in? or is typhon pact the latest in the timeline
>>
>>50374400
You should probably read Destiny, but that's easily summed up as "Borg come back, fuck up the Alpha Quadrant, die." The Typhon Pact books are written in relation to it, and aren't bad.
>>
>>50374598
should i watch voyager before i read that? what i'm interested in is: the further adventures of the tng crew, ds9 crew, picard, sisko (if he ever returns or not), and odo and quark especially
>>
>>50374644
Nope, you don't have to watch Voyager. You may want to read the Titan series, which are Riker, Troi and Tuvok's followup to Nemesis, if you like them. Odo has disappeared from the narrative as a character, but that's because the Founders themselves haven't made any appearances. He does make an effort to stay in contact with Kira though not in the Typhon Pact novels. Quark really only appears in the DS9 relaunch and Sisko has returned and is having an existential crisis over the Prophets telling him his job is done, but don't have a happy life or anything, in case they need him again.

Anyway, the Typhon Pact deals with stuff from the DS9 relaunch novels (Low Andorian birth rates from their 4 genders, Section 31, and Bashir going "I HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS"), the fallout from the Federation taking severe losses, Romulan and Breen adventurism, and Federation President Nanietta Bacco's continuing efforts to make ST novels into political thrillers.
>>
>>50374694
>Low Andorian birth rates from their 4 genders
Seriously, this shit is not kind of stupid, ITS TOTALLY STUPID! In the TNG era you can pretty much bring people back from the dead at times. And make clones of almost every body part. Doing a little fertility clinic stuff like that in the 24th century should be laughable really. I mean cloning would be harder but still doable. What's really the problem here where you can't just science this away? Is it like we don't discuss this shit with outsiders or something? Or is it some stupid UFP taboo or something?
>>
>>50375082
More like their genome was actively resisting any attempts to repair it. It took THOLIAN SPACE MAGIC (or rather, what uplifted the Tholians, see Vanguard for more information, and a decent story in its own right) to get the replication issue sorted. The Andorian fertility period had dropped to about 4 viable years of producing offspring before it got fixed. I don't disagree it's stupid though, just a somewhat interesting plotline. Plus it got Ezri Dax on to the USS Aventine as Captain, so y'know, all good.
>Both Jadzia and Ezri eventually set Julian aside because he was a bitch
>>
File: 3qe4yf.jpg (51KB, 551x325px) Image search: [Google]
3qe4yf.jpg
51KB, 551x325px
>>50375119
>THOLIAN SPACE MAGIC
See this is just bullshit since by then I'm guessing Voyager is back in the Alpha quadrant, so Borg nanoprobes fix EVERYTHING! Should be a thing and it's not like the Feds didn't have their own nano-machines too by that time. Doing the whole deus ex in Trek with new space science magic is kind of stupid when you already stuff that would do the job well enough without adding to the bullshit level of tech in trek which it already has. It just makes the whole joke about 'reverse the polarity' thing being the solution to everything in trek just that more annoying and true.
>>
>>50375267
Voyager is back in the Delta Quadrant with a bunch of other Quantum Slipstream ships, exploring the galaxy, and anything natively Borg tech is nonfunctional after the events of Destiny. Also, the Tholian Space Magic is a Meta-Genome that has (stupidly or not, ymmv) been shoehorned in as the inspiration for Genesis, and why the Klingons are pantshittingly terrified over Genesis later on, since the creators of the meta genome used it for uplifiting the Tholians and BLOWING UP SUNS.
>>
>>50374694
tell me more about the relaunch novels
>>
>>50375369
Well we have the TNG relaunch novels, which initially cover Picard dealing with the events of Nemesis, Worf's elevation to XO of the Enterprise, a bitchy Vulcan counselor, and Borg incursions, including a Cube that ends up in the Terran system. Said Cube wakes up, assimilates Janeway, eats Pluto, scans a Q, and outfights a planet killer. This novel is largely noncanon, even by ST book standards. Q is possibly revealed to have been trolling Picard solely so the latter can save the universe by amusing some extra-universal beings. He also marries Doctor Crusher, and as the relaunch novels move into the Destiny series, Picard goes full First Contact over the Borg, because he and Seven can hear the Collective, and it's not happy.

Next, the DS9 relaunch starts just after the series finale of DS9, where we see the station start to settle into a sense of normalcy. Ro Laren somehow managed to survive the Dominion War, and turns herself into custody, but Picard gets her off, and she joins the Bajoran Militia to become the station's Constable, replacing Odo. Meanwhile, Odo has sent a Jem'Hadar Honored Elder to watch over Kira, while a novel only character, centenarian Starfleet Intelligence Commander Elias Vaughn joins the station and commands the Defiant, and Nog is Chief Engineer of DS9. The Defiant goes on a mission to the Gamma Quadrant, then we have a years long time skip to catch up to Destiny. Also during this time, Sisko returns from the Celestial Temple, where the Prophets dicked him over. He asks Kassidy Yates for a divorce, feeling like his entire life has been lie, and goes off to command a Nebula class.

>DS9 is long as shit, cont.
>>
>>50375496
>DS9 cont.
Next up, Bashir is alienated from Ezri because she inadvertently expressed her personality during sex, and Ezri goes on to join the Command track. During this time, DS9's new Andorian science officer, joins the station and we get more info on the Andorian crisis, but this doesn't come to a head until after the Borg Invasion of the Alpha Quadrant, because of the loss of a significant number of Andorians. Kira Nerys is believed KIA after the Destruction of the original DS9, though she was picked up by the Prophets and shown a series of visions relating to Bajor's past. Afterwards, Kira leaves Starfleet to become a Vedek, and IIRC, is considered likely to become Kai. Ro Laren and Quark are in a pseudo relationship, despite the former now being CO of Deep Space Nine.

>Voyager Relaunch
I haven't read much of these, pretty much because I never liked Voyager, but Starfleet sends a bunch of Quantum Slipstream drive ships (these can make the journey from the Alpha to Delta quadrant take months, rather than years), to explore the Delta Quadrant as part of Project Full Circle, a fleet of vessels sent to see how the Delta Quadrant is faring post Borg. They do have an ultra modern Miranda type ship called the Merian class as part of their fleet though.

>Honorable Mention: Titan
The At Home with the Rikers novel series, Titan is all about exploring the wilds of the Beta Quadrant, and has what may be the most amusing CMO in Star Trek. A sapient Velociraptor, who is very much carnivorous. And he's a good obstetrician too, by all accounts. It's a decent series, and currently Riker is an Admiral in the wake of the Borg gutting the Federation fleet.
>>
>>50250530
What happened to Organians anyway

Did they just go "oh fuck it, if they really want to duke it out, let them."
>>
>>50376501
They were forced to babysit Trelaine and it became a full time job
>>
>>50376501
Maybe the Organians did an 'Ancients' from Stargate SG-1 and fucked off to a higher plane because all the lesser beings were idiots and war like counter to whatever they said. Washing themselves of the whole deal would be the best course of action anyway.
>>
>>50375632
>Ezri because she inadvertently expressed her personality during sex
Uh, what?! Do you mean like she had one of her past hosts surface while they were doing it and it freaked the doc the hell out or something? That would be kind of funny really.
>>50376501
>>
>>50378180
>Uh, what?! Do you mean like she had one of her past hosts surface while they were doing it and it freaked the doc the hell out or something? That would be kind of funny really.
Yeah sorry, that was supposed to say "Ezri accidentally expressed Jadzia's personality during sex." IIRC, she compared him to Worf.
>>
>>50378343
Shame it wasn't Curzon.
Good thing it wasn't murder-guy.
>>
>>50378343
That'd be super fuckin weird
>>
>>
>>50381377
Is this the Modiphius system?
>>
>>50381912
Yes, external playtesting just started.
>>
>>50381977
Good stuff. I'll try and get some people together to try it.
>>
>>50374095
Pretty much even people that don't watch star trek that much remember the tribbles. Hell the DS9 writers liked it so much they wanted to mess around with the story behind it.
>>
>>50382125
I wish there was a version of the original Trouble with Tribbles with all the crossover scenes with the DS9 crew in the background edited in.
>>
New Thread
>>50383627
>>50383627
>>50383627
New Thread
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 94

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.