[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Devourer Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 402
Thread images: 31

File: med (49).jpg (28KB, 381x512px) Image search: [Google]
med (49).jpg
28KB, 381x512px
Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previously on /5eg/... >>50162699

Used any of the VGM stat blocks yet? How'd it go? What's your favorite so far?
>>
What would you call a cleric domain that is the domain of "Rightful Death", like Wee Jas, the Raven Queen, Kelemvor. The kind of deities who don't want their clerics raising the undead, but instead oppose them and the unnatural use and abuse of the power of life?
>>
>>50170237
Don't be stupid.

When people see a tiefling, they're not really sure what to think. Tieflings aren't exactly running across the countryside, waylaying villages. They likely have rarely even heard of Tieflings, let alone seen one or interacted with one.

More educated people know that Tieflings just have fiendish blood somewhere in their bloodline; they're not half-devils. Their appearance could even be a curse. Either way, Tieflings are treated with fear and suspicion.

Half-Orcs are treated with fear and prejudice, and rightfully so. But the reason they're tolerated is in their name - HALF-orc. Half Human. Half-Orcs, save for ones that were raised by Orcs, are capable of being just as intelligent and civilized as any other standard race.

Goblin's reputations are 100% negative. You see a Goblin and you know it's a fucking Goblin. I can't imagine any inhabitants of FR having not seen or heard of Goblins doing some fuckery.
>>
>>50170338
Just call it that?
>>
>>50170338
You mean if you were homebrewing one? I would say Tomb or Burial. Gets across the idea that the dead should stay dead.

Not sure which Domain I would use to represent that out of the existing ones though. Maybe nature or trickery just for something a bit more neutral? I don't know.
>>
>>50170351
>When people see a tiefling, they're not really sure what to think.

I would assume the thing to think is 'AH! DEMON MASQUERADING AS A MAN! CALL THE ARMY!'

Goblins have the same issue, but are typically rather weak as individuals, so a single goblin showing up in town isn't as terrifying as a Demon doing so.

So really, the reaction is basically kill it for the goblin, run in terror for the tiefling, and force to use the shorter drinking fountain for the half-orc.
>>
>>50170357
That's not a bad Idea

>>50170359
Yeah, i'm gonna be homebrewing one. Stuff like being able to sever a necromancer's control over the undead, making gentle repose until dispelled for a ribbon, maybe improved turn undead or the ability to burn a spell slot for turn undead.
>>
>>50170338
Um Afterlife/Spirit domain?
Death domain kinda got screwed over.
Look at long death monks and reflavour your death domain after them.
>>
>>50170351
Funny catfolk experience I had. Pre-volo's monster guide.
>Swindling people in a tavern with a game of chance
>Bar fight ensues when two of our PC's start shit with each other
>One commoner immediately goes for me
>Deceive him into thinking that if I scratch him he'll become a catbeast
>Sneak out of the tavern while the brawl ensues
>>
>>50170385
Then you would be one dumb fuck of a peasant

"THAT DEMON IS MASQUERADING AS A MAN BY LOOKING LIKE A DEMON MAN"

oh boy jimbo great deduction there

but otherwise yea you're right, though thinking that people wouldn't immediately try to kill a lone goblin or hide in their homes or something is a bit stupid

there is no IRL equivalent of it, i guess compare it to like a cougar roaming about in your back yard. Just because it's one thing doesn't mean it isn't fucking dangerous. A regular Gobbo would murder a regular peasant pretty easily if armed.

trying to play a Goblin in FR is just kind of a shitty thing. Every place you go to your party will get some kind of hassle unless you're not detected or disguised. And I know players, so the first time you guys get asked by the town guard to relinquish your weapons murder will happen invariably
>>
>>50170411
I think another thing to be sure to add would be Chill Touch as a cantrip due to its anti-undead capabilities.

I might also suggest giving them some way to have their more fitting necrotic damage spells get around the typical necrotic resistance of undead.

It's an interesting concept.
>>
>>50170351
No, when people see a goblin they assume their first quest has just started. Then they kill them.
>>
Everyone else initially dislike the 5e MM stat block and eventually really like it?
>>
>>50170451
I never really had a problem with it to begin with outside of spells being a pain in the dick to reference.
>>
>>50170451
Anyone* else
>>
>>50170431
>Then you would be one dumb fuck of a peasant

How? I've probably never seen a Demon outside of maybe second-hand drawings or stained glass windows at the local church depicting them getting killed.

If I see something with red skin, glowing eyes, and devil horns, I'm going to assume it's a devil, because I have no frame of reference, since I haven't seen either a devil, half-devil, or devil-man in my entire life.

It'd be like trying to describe the difference between a Wolf and a Husky to someone who's never seen either outside of a vague picture.
>>
>>50170476
Well you're making assumptions about what common knowledge may or may not be here. Is there FR canon (or canon adjacent) on the subject?
>>
>>50170476
your line of reasoning doesn't even support your argument when you think about it.

okay, so peasants probably don't exactly know what a tiefling or a fiend is, what little they do know is based on legends and drawings, so when they see one they will be unsure about it, maybe scared or inquisitive, maybe they ask their priest or something, etc.

but peasants probably DO know exactly what a goblin is and have probably had run-ins with them before (or know of people who have had run-ins with goblins), so when they see one they are for sure going to grab their torches and pitchforks, and raise the alarm
>>
>>50170511
They'll know enough to know that fiends are dangerous and they should probably run away.

Both a Tiefling and the Goblin have the exact same reaction: It's a monster showing up in town. The people don't know exactly how powerful the demon is, so they'll probably run, bar their doors, get the priest, and generally be in fear. They do know what a goblin is, so like you said, angry mob, call the guards, kill it.

That doesn't make the first one somehow excused from people reacting poorly too it. It's just less likely to be kill on sight because goblins are easier to kill than demons.
>>
>>50170535
Just to add to this from my point, people usually know how goblins look and what they are.
People don't know how demons look and what are demons exactly. And they don't know what tieflings are. And probably haven't heard of tiefling exactly doing anything wrong on the level as they've heard about goblins.
Demons and devils in DnD have different forms, they don't necessary look like a stereotypical satan. So they don't look at the tiefling and think that it's a satan incarnated, it just looks like some humanoid, that looks slightly evil looking.
>>
>>50170575
>Demons and devils in DnD have different forms, they don't necessary look like a stereotypical satan. So they don't look at the tiefling and think that it's a satan incarnated
but a commoner has never seen a devil or demon; they're aren't going to be able to know that a tiefling isn't one. Why wouldn't they consider it satan incarnate?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (26KB, 477x178px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
26KB, 477x178px
>>50170476
>>50170535

Again, you're taking leaps to justify playing a race that is in-setting canon as evil pests and raiders

So the average villager probably knows some lore about demons and devils. They don't know what they (devils/demons) exactly look like and they probably only have a vague awareness of what a Tiefling is. EVERY villager KNOWS that Goblins are evil little shits.

you are also ignoring that Tieflings can generally be found in cities like Neverwinter, though still somewhat rare. Goblins aren't. Tieflings are not some completely unheard of thing, they're just rare.

In my FR games I'd need a strong justification for playing a Tiefling. Frankly every Tiefling I've played with has been a shitty player, as with Dragonborn. I dunno what it is but i've played with over a dozen individuals who played either a dragonborn, tiefling, or that bird race and they were all trash players.

I wouldn't even consider allowing a Goblin unless you were a warlock with Mask of many faces constantly disguising you as a gnome or something
>>
>>50170595
Who is Satan? Any relation to Khorne or Bane or Asmodeus?
If most demons don't look like stereotype red horned men, then why would a red horned man look like a demon to them?
>>
>>50170595
Why wouldn't they consider a dwarf devil incarnate then?
If they don't know how devils or demons look like, why would they assume that a guy with horns is one?
>>
>>50170600
>Again, you're taking leaps to justify playing a race that is in-setting canon as evil pests and raiders

I'm not justifying playing it. I'm saying that a Tiefling is likely in a similar boat unless you are in a bigger city that gets a lot of strange travelers.

>>50170575
>>50170607
>>50170616

While you do have some Demons and Devils that look different, a lot of the pretty standard basic ones are that sort of Satan look. Big horns, red skin.

Balrogs, Imps, Pit Fiends. Again, if all they have are vague descriptions and drawings of the most common types, then that's what you'd expect to see.

Demons and Devils in D&D do have a lot that look like stereotypical satans, because D&D is written by people from our world where that's the normal assumption.
>>
so can I play a demon or devil or almost any fiend in Forgotten Realms without persecution? I mean, your average person isn't going to know what a Slaad is
>>
>>50170637
Some do look kinda like this, some don't. They don't exatly represent the general representation of a demon or a devil.
The thing is there is a lot of weird shit out there just to assume that a dude with horns is the satan incarnate. And goblin is always a goblin. It is in no way in the same boat.
>>
>>50170665
Yeah, there is a lot of weird shit out there, and most of it can be assumed to be monsters trying to kill you.

I mean, people probably don't see Mind Flayers very often or know what they are, though I doubt they just give a friendly smile and wave to the nice octopus man.
>>
I want to point out that, back in AD&D, Diaboli were mistrusted by humans because they looked a lot like your stereotypical devil - goat-like legs, tail with a stinging barb on it, forked tongue, big nose, and tiny little horns on the forehead. Except they were purple rather than red.

Of course, diaboli thought humans were just as scary and ugly looking.
>>
>>50170640
The thing is educated people know about demons and devils and know that they are evil. As well as they know that tieflings are not always evil.
>>
>>50170293
Used some of the new Orc statblocks, they absolutely thrashed my party. Caused 1 death, actually.
>>
>>50170681
Why would they have any idea what a tiefling is? Do they do a PSA after the preacher stops talking about evil demons?
>>
>>50170665
And angels in D&D look like a bunch of weird stuff too.

But if you had a stained glass window or a painting in a church depicting a bunch of angels fighting a bunch of demons, you'd probably get some glowing people with angel wings up against some red skinned horned things with wings, because both Pit Fiends and Balors fit that description.

There is a very clear stereotypical 'devil' look in D&D.

Would these villagers be more receptive to a Bugbear or a Hobgoblin? Those are both Goblinoids that don't look like Goblins. Can a Hobgoblin stick a pair of horns on their head to pass for a Tiefling?
>>
File: genericdevilmask.png (1MB, 1069x667px) Image search: [Google]
genericdevilmask.png
1MB, 1069x667px
>>50170665
>>
>>50170749
ohshitbtfoTRUMP2016
>>
>>50170700
Well if they can correctly identify a demon, they can probably correctly identify if someone is not really a demon.
>>50170714
Do you have any sources on glass windows with red skinned horned demons in the lore anywhere?
I mean, let's be frank, in tiefling race description, and at least by them being a vanilla race, it seems that people don't mind them that much as if they were actual demons walking on the level of being able to walk in cities.
It doesn't say anything good about goblins though.
>>
>>50170749
It's a bit more evil looking than a regular tiefling tbqh
>>
File: daily reminder.png (2MB, 1602x1130px) Image search: [Google]
daily reminder.png
2MB, 1602x1130px
>>50170762
Yep. Tieflings are totally fine. Nobody would ever run in fear for thinking they were a monster, right?
>>
File: 001.jpg (3MB, 3248x2384px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
3MB, 3248x2384px
Idahoanon here, writing up that dungeon you guys voted on earlier; Underwater Monstrosities is the theme. Gonna use some stuff from Volo's for inspiration, and just wanted to share the shitty map that's gonna go along with it. Use it for whatever, if you want.
>>
>>50170793
those two don't even look much alike lol, you could have cherrypicked better than that. the point is that known full monsters like goblins would be killed on sight in most places, while mixed monsters/humanoids that resemble monsters like tieflings, which people aren't sure about, would be treated with fear/suspicion/hatred in most places (and in some places, where people are more educated and know that they aren't monsters at all, they might even treated quite normally)

it's like the difference between seeing an arab guy walking down the street in america, he might get treated racistly but that's it, then compare to a literal ISIS fighter in full garb and armed to the teeth walking down the street in america
>>
>>50170793
This is just an art, lore says that a dude with horns and a tail is suspicious but ok, but the way that goblins or hobgoblins are known are always evil monsters.
>>
>>50170815
>>50170828
So can >>50170749 walk around in town without getting killed?
>>
>>50170749
Not him, but that's a good point.
I don't understand the "Strike Fear" thing though. Any good assassin, if you see them, omae wa mo shinderu.
>>
>>50170836
They are just hobgoblins in devil masks though, no?
>>
Making a paladin - favored soul

Life domain for favored soul, vengeance for paladin (undead hunter)

Can I make a GFB attack, then quicken and make another GFB attack? Don't you need to make an attack as part of GFB?

also the character will be level 9, what's the best way of splitting that up between the two classes? 3 paladin 6 sorc? extra attack and 4th level spell slots (though I'd only have 1st level paladin spells and 3rd level sorc spells) is dope

6 Paladin 3 Sorc? 3rd level spell slots, only second level spells for both.

could I take my two attacks and then Quicken a GFB?

I'm leaning 3 pally 6 sorc, extra attacks while having access to shit like Revivify and fly and fireballs and sorcery points and a dick ton of smites sounds awesome. though missing out on find steed and aura is a fucking tragedy I'd put my next 3 levels in pally.
>>
>>50170431
>there is no IRL equivalent of it
when I see minorities walking around my white neighborhood I stay stay indoors and lock up so I don't get shot and robbed
>>
>>50170793
The difference is that one is very commonplace for murdering average folk and the other is just creepy as fuck holy shit hide your kids before they start reading tieflings bizarre adventure
>>
>>50171026
>Can I make a GFB attack, then quicken and make another GFB attack? Don't you need to make an attack as part of GFB?

You can do GFB + Quicken GFB. You'd get two attacks, one for the standard and one for the bonus.

>could I take my two attacks and then Quicken a GFB?
Yes.

>levels

Maybe go for a 4/5 split to get 2 ASIs?
>>
>>50170836
>Furry hands
>no tail
>visible mask seam
>goblinoid facial features still visible
>distinctly "up to no good" outfit
>>
Devils aren't that ugly though. Hobgoblins are fucking ugly though, they're bersmirsching a devil's good name.
>>
>>50171216
True, but seeing as hobgoblin societies ten to be LE, it would make no sense to associate with Demons, so they got saddled with Devils. For the worse on the part of Devils.
>>
so i just went though Volo's excited cause ive wanted to make a Kobold character since i heard of 5e and all the homebrew was a little lacking, and am kinda disappointing with how weak they are.
are their any other player races that get minus stats let alone 2 points?
>>
>>50171495
Orcs, which also feel quite weak. Though I still think kobolds are more salvageable than orcs, they can still be decent and Pack Tactics does a lot. As long as you have an ally by your side, you can NEVER have disadvantage.
>>
What's the point of mastermind rogue for the 'help' action when you could just go AT, wizard or warlock for a familiar and make your familiar use the 'help' action every turn for you?
>>
>>50171561
You could get a familiar and help twice!

mastermind is shit
>>
>>50171569
Mastermind doesn't seem too bad if you have no need for your bonus action.
Say, you sit back and use ranged attacks instead.
Also better with booming blade or green flame blade.
However, all those things need a feat or a multiclass to work, not that taking your first level in barbarian or fighter will hurt at all.

Still, it kinda sucks when find familiar doesn't give a shit and lets you give advantage to yourself.
>>
Wait, can't you make a single attack with the hand crossbow as an action and then a single attack with the hand crossbow as a bonus action without crossbow expert?
>>
>>50171623
If you have a feature granting you a bonus action attack with the weapon, yes. The loading property states that you get one attack per action; 2 actions, 2 attacks.
>>
>>50171626
You shouldn't need a feature, hand crossbows count as 'light' so it-
Wait a moment.
>two-weapon fighting
>melee attack
So you need crossbow expert to even use hand crossbows with two-weapon-fighting (which technically isn't two-weapon-fighting).

Guess ranged rogue is gonna mostly be throwing daggers. Doesn't actually sound so bad.
>>
>>50171649
Ranged rogue can use whatever they like; daggers limit you based on how many you can draw per turn (one, two with dual wielder feat), but you only get one sneak attack per turn anyways.
>>
>>50171667
The game still lacks love for thrown weapons outside of being a back-up for barbarians or maybe strength fighters or strength paladins.

You could go dual wielder and fighter levels for heavy armour and try throwing javelins as 1d6 thrown weapons 30/120ft, but unless you already had them drawn you'll lose your +1 AC and you can't get sneak attack because it's neither a ranged weapon nor a finesse weapon.

They didn't really design the aspect properly.
>>
>>50171667
The bonus action attack helps, because it means you have a second chance to hit if you miss your first.
>>
>>50171677
I sent an e-mail to Sage advice regarding this, haven't seen a response yet. Maybe they'll be nice and at least let darts function as ammo.

>>50171683
That's fair I suppose.
>>
File: 1478373770738.jpg (832KB, 1223x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1478373770738.jpg
832KB, 1223x1600px
>>
>>50171649
Don't forget that you can only draw 1 dagger per round, unless you spend a feat.
>>
I am curious here: how good are your parties at distributing loot? And how good are the GM at tailoring the magic items to fit the party?

My current high level party (everybody is level 17) is way unbalanced in terms of the power, and I was curious if this was just normal shit that happens, or just my GM that fucked up a bit.
>>
To the topic of goblins in villages, remember that yes, if the villagers see a love gobby in town skulking about in the middle of the night with rags and a big cloak they will call the guards.

It's different if the goblin is decently dressed and groomed in decent armour and he walks into town I broad daylight with a crew of adventuring folk who are famous for being eccentric do gooders odds are they will just keep a close eye on the thieving shit.

It's like the art in volo's of the tavern. Spot a kobold lurking around the outskirts of town they are up to no good plotting something call the guards.

A kobold walks into your tavern the middle of the afternoon, climbs up onto a stool plants three silver on the table and asks for a mug of ale and the steak pie with mash. You don't know what's going on but it's more of a curiosity than a concern.
>>
>>50171712
Pretty, but looks messy and confusing as fuck.
>>
>>50171768
Some GMs cater to the players and give them some tailored items, others go strictly by the rolls, someone may get a legendary item while others a few healing potions. The first one is of course better but it takes more time and GMs who don't want to risk making a mistake will always go rolls.
>>
>>50171561
Because any Gm who isn't mentally challenged will kill your familiar whenever possible if your using it as a front line combatant like that. Via aoe attacks or simply "Gah get if oaf me summoned shoot dis bird it keeps pecking my nose.". A player at our table cheesed this and after 3 sessions of it getting killed in the first encounter of the day each say he backed off the meme.
>>
>>50170793
The difference is the one on the left wants to murder you for being a human while the one on the right wants to have sex with you (hopefully) because it's a slutty slut slut with a tail and horns. Mmmm.
>>
>>50171815
Hey, maybe the one on the left wants to have sex with you too, you never know.
>>
>>50171824
Shit, yeah, you're right, I'm sorry.

I explain calmly to him that he's not my type and that I'm far more into the horned, tailed, and actually devilish/demonic blooded type. Then I try to help him hook up with the elf.
>>
>>50171824
You know for sure he wants to fuck you up.
>>
>>50171800
Our GM doesn't roll, the magic items are far too specific to be just rolls.

We are a 4 man group:
Paladin with a Great sword +4 that can convert all its damage to radiant, and he can stick it in the ground to gain resistance to all damage, or immunity if he already has resistance, and makes him immune to anh effect that would disarm him. He also has a plate armour +4 that is immune to spell effects and grants him advantage on all saving throws, and a cape that lets him add his charisma to his AC.

A warrior "witch hunter" styled, with a +3 shortsword that also grants +2 AC and has built in haste. A hand crossbow +3 that can be used as a melee weapon with no penalties and anyone hit also suffers from the spell effect slow, and he is wearing a plate mail +4 that lets him turn into a mist as a reaction 4/day and let's him reflect all damage taken back on his attacker 1/day (if he takes 20 damage,he can immediately return this damage to his opponent, sucks for assassins trying to kill him), and a hat that grants him +1 AC and +4 to perception checks.

The wizard is a wizard, and has a cloak that sets his AC to 20 and makes him immune to non-magical, non-silvered attacks, and gives him advantage on all saving throws, and succesful saving throws that only reduce damage by half, instead negates it entirely. He also has an orb that lets him cast chromatic orb 10 times a day, infinite charges, and at the highest level he can cast it himself. (his signature spell)

And then we have my thief, who has a +2 dagger that also functions as a thieves tool, as well as being impossible to spot through non-magical means if I am hiding on my person, and a cloak that renders me immune to weather effects and grants me +3 to stealth.

It feels a bit lopsided, but a lot of the gear is either impossible for me to use, or given very specifically to a certain character, by an NPC who would often freak out if he had just given it to that shady thief they had in their party.
>>
>>50171809
>implying

Enemies won't use AoE attacks on creatures they can't see (invisible familiars) that aren't within their accidental AoE range (Say, the familiar is above an ally)

>killed in the first encounter of the day
Implying you can't have like 3 familiars every day, and each time they die (presuming it's a non-invisible one and against enemies with ranged attacks) the enemy has just used a ranged attack they could have just used against your party, and your familiar has already used at least one 'help' action anyway.

If you have the money for 10gp / familiar, it's viable, it's stupid, obnoxious to bring to the table but considered fine by wizards.
>>
>>50171849
It's also a pretty common-sense house rule to ban the use of the Help action to help in anything you couldn't do yourself.
>>
>>50170793
Are you stupid? Tieflings have cities,we share a common culture, etc, they're basically decendants of ancient humans who made a pact with a demon for knowledge and power centuries and centuries ago, that's fucking it, they aren't demonic now, they don't have to be evil, etc.

Hobgoblins are fucking warmongering race what side with bugbears, goblins and orcs, they vast majority is evil

You're basically comparing Spaniards (who had the Inquisition back then) and ISIS and saying they're the same thing.
>>
Any way to make a trial by combat encounter fun? My players just convinced the court to settle the case by combat. The barbarian volunteered to be the champion.

I'm just thinking of throwing in the usual combat encounter but I'm wondering if there's anything to make it interesting? I might make the champion a Battle Master to add that layer of combat with the maneuvers but I'm wondering what the other 4 party members who are watching at the sidelines can do. Maybe perhaps spot someone who might sabotage the fight? Any ideas?
>>
Can anyone explain me why martial adept is so shit?
>>
>>50171995
You get one manuever and you get 1 dice to use it with, and the die is a fucking D6
It's good when you're playing a fighter who gets maneuver dice but doesn't get the normal maneuvers, so then you get the ones of that subclass and one from battlemaster.
Otherwise it's a once per short rest piece of shit that is outclassed by lots of other feats
>>
Why not bring back what the martials got in the playtest packets?
>>
>>50170793

I just hate the asian look that D&D always put in evil monsters.
>>
>>50171995
>Has martial in the name
>In D&D
>"Why does it suck?"
Well gee I dunno
>>
>>50172031
>Warmongering culture that has a weird code of honor
>Not Asian
Kay
>>
>>50171845
You are definitely a little lower on the flat increases, but that impossible to spot should be very powerful. Are you sure you aren't getting lesser items cause of roleplay? A paladin wizard and fighter don't have negative stigmas and NPCs probably trust them a lot more than you. Maybe you should try and ally with powerful sneaky NPCs.
>>
>>50171995
A feat that grants the same mechanic as an archetype needs to be highly restricted or it steals too much thunder and makes the archetype superfluous, especially given BMs don't do anything significant outside of spamming maneuvers.

The problem comes from Battlemasters getting relatively few maneuvers and uses. They come into their own when chained together in the same turn or round after round, not from a single use every other combat.

Magic Initiate at least gives the capability for magical, scaling ranged damage to classes that ordinarily wouldn't have it, or other minor things that can be spammed forever. And while a single level one spell is pretty weak on its own, it's a bit more powerful than any maneuver can do on its own save Menacing Blow. There's also a variety of new abilities that can come by way of a single spell, not to mention the potential for spam by taking something that's a ritual instead.

You can't really improve the maneuver side of Martial Adept without detracting too much from the uniqueness of the Battlemaster. It should probably have a second feature, removed from the maneuver mechanic, to do something for you all those times after you've spent your one attack.
>>
>>50172055
Battlemaster ends having 9 maneuvers know, 6 maneuvers per short rest (you refresh 2 every time you roll ini) and deal 1d12

This gives you 1 know, 1 per short rest (period) that deals 1d6

I don't think increasing it to 2 per short rest would fuck anything, as it's is shit, nobody ever picks it
>>
>>50172069
Not that guy, but if you boost it, it becomes even more of a necessary pick for BMs. I would kill a nameless NPC for 2 superiority dice or a fighting style added on.
>>
>>50172069
Compared to Magic Initiate, a feat that a lot of people pick (Rogues specially or BB and familar) is quite funny.
>>
>>50172087
for*
>>
>>50172069
Don't fall into the trap of considering balance at the Battlemaster's endgame. That's not where the game takes place.

Most games don't reach level 10, and even those that do will have spent far more time at the previous levels than they most likely will spend there or beyond. For most of the game, Battlemasters have three maneuvers and four uses, and this only improves to five and five at level 7.

This is a feat that's a fourth of an archetype. Any improvement makes it half, and that's still of debatable usefulness. Anything more and now you've got every Battlemaster wanting to take it just so they can spam six or eight uses a short rest long before they've got their third attack (which, again, they're not even likely to get).
>>
>>50172051
Mostly a "stick to the shadows" thief whose allies are literal nobodies. My main contact is in a smaller town, operating an orphanage my character built with the accumulated wealth gained over the adventures.

Still, that accounts for 3 of the items, the rest are loot from dungeons. One would think dungeon loot wouldn't be too biased.

I mean thief as in "the class", not profession. If anything, the profession is taking orphans off the streets, and into homes and businesses. That just doesn't translate well in terms of people with enough influence to carry magic items they can just hand out.
>>
>>50172020
K.
>>
>>50172106
Well take it as a roleplay deal, a very noble sacrifice of damage for story. Sounds like your character has good story and roleplay. Be happy with what your character is doing and try not to notice the items. Cause your campaign isn't about numbers it's about story.
>>
>>50172069
Escale it, give them one extra use at 10th or 11th level instead of 2 uses the moment they pick it. Though it will still be a shitty feat nobody is going to pick though, maybe battlemasters, maybe.

It's sad, I once picked it for a Monk so he could "Shoryuken", not worth it, like a fucking all.

>>50172098
Battlemaster's starts with 4 uses and deal d8 since the beginning though, might want to reread the class, broseph
>>
>>50172098
>>50172123
Oh fuck, I'm a retard, you said 3 manuevers and FOUR uses, forget my non existant reading comprehension.
>>
>>50172123
It actually escales though...for Battlemasters, rest of people deal 1d6 once per short rest. So yeah, ironically is a feat only useful for Battlemasters, game design at its finest.
>>
I have a shitty idea for homebrew.
Warlock who make a pact with succubus.

Gotta have sex once every three days to active power.
>>
>>50172202
Why is /pfg/ still here?
>>
>>50172117
Yeah... well, I was just curious if this is normal or not. And when you start talking about rolls, I can imagine you'd have a lot of weird items that nobody can use, or risk getting all the items that this 1 guy can use, and nothing else.
>>
File: Playtest Fighter.png (80KB, 757x582px) Image search: [Google]
Playtest Fighter.png
80KB, 757x582px
Fighters should get pic related.
>>
Just started reading VGtM. I love the triton race! Any ideas what classes would go well with tritons? Any cool character ideas/builds/backstories?
>>
File: rebvuervuivfa.jpg (90KB, 989x582px) Image search: [Google]
rebvuervuivfa.jpg
90KB, 989x582px
>>50172301
>mfw this will never be the PHB fighter
>>
>>50172340
Is the playtest material in the Mega? I remember playing a version through when it was going through it's iterations, wouldn't mind reading over it again, maybe even mocking it up in a proper homebrew format.
>>
>>50172387
Yes, there are 11 packets of playtest, and the early playtest is a lot different,
>>
>>50171995
It grants a worse version of a fighter archetype feature.
Originally all martials were supposed to have maneouvers and superiority dies.
Guess they couldn't set their mind on a method to calculate them.

I for one think they could have gone with this:
Martial class has Str/Dex mod maneouvers per short rest.
Start with 1d6 die to 1d8 at lvl 5 to 1d10 at lvl 10 to 2d6 at lvl 15.
Every martial class only gets 1 known maneouver at lvl 1 and learns more as they get extra attack.
Battle master learns 2 each time they gain their class features and has faster superiority die progression.

There, all martials are interesting now while having a balanced mechanic that is just as usefully as low level magic.
>>
>>50171849
If the familiar is using the help action then it is in the thick of it with other pc characters. Fireballs ahoy or even then "zog help there is some invisible bird thing pulling my hair it's above me." Easy.

Plus 3 familiars a day? What Dm is giving you that amount of short rests that you elect to gain nothing from since you spent it casting find familiar.
>>
What are some spells / tactics enemies would employ when trying to take down a Caravel sized ship that has Submerge Ship cast on it? (Air bubble extends over the top deck and masts).

I'm thinking a savage merfolk scout party, with some shapeshifters (weresharks).
>>
>>50172452
What are the specifics of this Submerge Ship spell? Can it you make holes in that bubble? Does it pop or just start leaking?
>>
>>50172452
Found you, AGJ
>>
>>50170762
Drow are also a vanilla race anon. I'm pretty sure most people would mind them
>>
>>50172202
It's shitty not cause it's fetish material, it's shitty cause it's actually a detriment to playing the archetype. Why pact with a succubus and get rules when you can do anything else.

If you want something with rules go paladin of lust with charm spells and debauchery in the tennants.
>>
>>50172543
AGJ? If those are initials of a name, nope not me.

If those are initials of something else.....nope probably not me.

>>50172537
For the intents and purposes of this one, the bubble itself isn't "poppable", but it does have some resistance and an enemy outside of it has to make a strength check to break through and move inside.
>>
>>50172550
Dunno, most people probably never heard of them and there are like Drizzt like dudes and shit.
Honestly I have no idea how 5e deals with them, but I guess since they are in vanilla they probably should be at least somehow non-aggroing everyone in normal adventures.
>>
>>50172563
You gotta think how different spells would affect it, assuming spells can go through the bubble. A spell like cone of cold spell could freeze the water in front of the ship and make it crash against this newly formed mini-iceberg. A lightning bolt would likely be very bad for the ship, since assuming there's air inside the bubble the lightning could set the ship aflame. Or even a fireball, since you're shooting a red beam that would only explode into flames after passing through the bubble and coming into contact with the deck.

Essentially the bubble is a big disadvantage for the merfolk, because they're used to fighting in the water, so I don't see them entertaining the plan of getting inside the bubble unless they really have no other option. Maybe they have some killer whales to crash into the ship?
>>
>>50172612
>I have no idea how 5e deals with them
There's a big sidebar next to them talking about how most are evil and hated on sight.
People don't like it when the night stalking spider worshipping baby stealing murderous slaver elves come up for tea, as it turns out. At least with goblins, kobolds, bugbears, and the like travelling with a party it's harder to imagine them as spies because they tend to be so crude and simple, so they can be brushed off as an oddity (and responsibility) of a group of adventurers.
>>
Hey guys, I'm playing in a friends game soon and need a character. I have no clue what I want to play besides a dwarf. The only other character I know of is a half elf monk, as we're still trying to find more players. Any opinions for what class my dwarf should be?
>>
>>50172833
Cleric Druid Barbarian or Fighter. I say War Cleric cause they heal and do damage.
>>
My friend is planing on running 5e game. He's not a very experienced DM, he had never run DnD and only played a couple of sessions in a 4e campaign. It might be stupid question to ask in this thread, but what is general consensus on 5e? How does it measure up to Pathfinder? What quirks and problems does it have? How's balance? What do people tend to homerule? Also, is it a good game for a newbie DM to run?
>>
>>50172833
Seconding >>50172887

They all combo nicely with Dwarf, and they should help with protecting the somewhat squishier monk one way or another.
>>
>>50172929
>>50172887
I was already feeling either cleric or druid. I find myself unable to pick. It will probably come down to backstory which will decide my class. This is the problem with foreverDMing, I never consider what I want to play.
>>
>>50172889
>General consensus

Generally positive. 5e did a lot of work to apply to a broad range of players and generally succeeded.

It's much less clunky than pathfinder and is easier to learn and teach. The balance is also improved to a good degree. The martial caster divide isn't as clean cut, and it's harder to stumble upon by accident.
>>
>>50172929
Technically speaking, orange is the polar opposite of Blue.
>>
So DMs, I've gone to a point where I feel like my milestone leveling is getting too frequent. My players have hit level 13 and they are gonna embark on pretty endgame shit now. Homebrew campaign btw.

Anyhow, at this point where do you measure when to milestone level? Cause it's been 3-4 sessions since they last leveled and with a pretty big rebellion coming in that they've set up, I don't wanna spam leveling or else I'll recklessly let them hit level 20 before they even meet the BBEG.

I'm new to this whole DM thing btw and it's been fun and I've been using the milestone system. It was easy to do in early levels cause I could gauge their actions if it deserves a level at early game (clear the cave of goblins) then later on (overthrow the conspiracy that is taking over this keep and its denizens) and recently (saving an entire region from a corrupting naga) but as time goes, I feel that I might rush or drag their milestones. CAn't quite find a sweet spot or flags to give them levels now that they're aiming to do big shit as the campaign takes them across the continent.
>>
>>50172889
>what is general consensus on 5e?
It's good
>How does it measure up to Pathfinder?
Simpler, way more balanced, way less powerful, with way less options, tricks and gimmicks.

If you like simple S&S play 5e, if you expect exalted/anima/PF high power shenanigans (which I like don't take me wrong) don't use 5e
>>
>>50173131
I level whenever I feel like it, often right before a big fight so they can use their new toys for it.

Milestone leveling should focus on where they need to be for the story more than "rewards" for what they've done.
>>
>>50170411
>>50170338
Here, here's my first draft of the Burial Domain.
http://pastebin.com/XRMzzDfX
>>
Hey guys, would like some help with some story-building

Dming a 5e home brewed world that's kinda a mix of dark souls, witcher, and dragon age. Two guys don't have fleshed out backstories so I don't have any material yet for side-quests/personal quests. Any way I can do something personalized for them without needing backstory?

I was thinking cursed items or something, but don't have much creative power there beyond some cheesy shit.

Players are dwarf paladin and human druid. Feedback is appreciated
>>
>>50173365
Quests from church/druid circle? Divine visions? Druid mortal combat AD&D-style?
>>
>>50173472
Quest from the church could work, but in my world druid circles aren't really a thing (druids are more like their tribes lone shaman, and the druid's tribe is dead or he doesn't have one, hazy on the details).
>>
>>50173556
>>50173365
You could have them find a member of the druid's lost tribe while on another adventure
>>
>>50173556
"Quests form the church" might also mean dealing with changing policies of the religion, Martin Luther type stuff

>Divine visions? Druid mortal combat AD&D-style?
What about those two?
>>
>>50173131
I know the books are meant for post20 but maybe instead of a level give them a boon each. A decent and unexpected advancement that doesn't push them too high too quick.
>>
>>50171898
It's confirmed by sage advice, find familiar 'help' cancer is valid.

>>50172433
If it is invisible, it does not have to reveal itself to use help - nothing in RAW says it must reveal itself or un-invisible or do anything to alert as to its presence.
If they do use a fireball on their friendly? Joke's on them. Main problem is your own team AoEing them.

One find familiar at the start of the day, then two short rests.

One or two short rests is expected.
>>
>>50173340
Seems pretty solid for anti-undead. I do worry somewhat that it may sttuggle against other types of enemies though, or be very strong in campaigns starring them.
>>
>>50170811
Needs a Froghemoth in the south eastern treasure (?) Room. Star Wars trash compactor style.
>>
>>50172889
Lost mines of phandelver for new DMs and players.

I haven't done it myself, but everybody recommends it.
>>
>>50172833
Cleric works very well if you pick a heavy armour one and go hill dwarf.

You don't need to increase your strength at all (Seriously, don't) to wear heavy armour and can increase dexterity instead, and fighter with rapier+shield if you must.
>>
>>50173871
Them's some sorta egg from the look of things.
>>
>>50173601
I'm reluctant to do divine visions because there's another group member who gets visions and too many risks breaking some story elements. As for mortal kombat, it'd seem a little out there to just inject one-on-one battles in a 7 player game...
>>
File: 1450455436540.jpg (46KB, 600x759px) Image search: [Google]
1450455436540.jpg
46KB, 600x759px
I want to run a "sniper" AT. What familiar should I use as a "spotter"? Just to provide overwatch from high above out of range, not to fly in for sneak attack.
>>
>>50173867
That's a good point, but I feel that criticism could be leveled at any domain really. Nature domain isn't really useful in Sigil.
>>
>>50174015
Hawk's the classic, but owl, bat, or raven could fit your character better.
>>
>>50173587
That crossed my mind, but here's where things get screwy:

Like I said, the details are lost in me (which is why I asked for typed up backstories) but I think he said something about being raised by bears and then being found by a tribe, or maybe the reverse, or maybe either or got killed/didn't exist.

I'm kinda at a loss since the guy's a good player and a cool dude, so I definitely can't kick him out for not having any thing written down.
>>
File: 1461964230549.jpg (111KB, 500x732px) Image search: [Google]
1461964230549.jpg
111KB, 500x732px
>>50174030
Since I'm not concerned about needing Flyby, it seems that Hawk has better AC (in case some enemy tries to use their attack to make a ranged attack at disadvantage 200 feet up) and slightly better perception, but lacks darkvision.
I don't think bats or ravens would fit the character, though they are nice.
>Captcha is a choose the signs with a bird of prey in the distance
Heh.
>>
>>50170293
That is a terrifying monster, and as such, one of my favorites.
>>
what eye color would you use for a mind flayer?
i've been working on some dnd fanart and i'm not sure i like the official tiny round, white-ish eyes. i was thinking something more cephalopod-like.
>>
>>50170338
you mean repose domain, right?
>>
>>50174097
Damn, that's good. I'm changing it to that.
>>
>>50174068
also is there a background for martial illithids?
i haven't read all their lore and stuff, but i like the idea of a psychic squid man swinging an eldritch sword and wearing alien armor.
>>
>>50174118
I think the closest you would get would be an Illithid focusing on whatever they're calling the melee psionic class these days. They're going to be enhancing their physical skills with their psionic ones, probably just so they have first claim to the brains in a fight.
>>
>>50174118

Those illithids would likely be an aberration. While there are descriptions of magic armor and swords for illithids in Volo's, it's also clear they overwhelmingly prefer psychic combat and delegate sweaty martial fighting to their subordinates.
>>
>grappler in party
>fucks bosses and big bads
>tries it on the biggest bad
>an evil wizard trying to go back in time
>has a barrier around him as the room is being sent through time
>tries to grapple him
"you run into the barrier and attempt to force your way into it, the energy shielding him is repelling you and burns you" take 1d12 psychic

"I press into harder trying to shatter the barrier"

"You press even harder into the barrier and manage to partially break through it - doing so releases a violent, but beautiful eruption of energy out of the breaches you created."

"As if you were made of sand, your body shatters as it makes contact with pure space time that resides between planes, time and realities - every spec of your body is sent to a different time, dimension or plane. Scattered to the cosmos."
>>
>>50170338
I would say it's not a different domain, but a certain dogma for a Death cleric.
>>
>>50174146
Do Illithids sweat?
>>
>>50170793
>Tieflings are totally fine
What?
>>
>>50174187
>Be a Doomguard of Kelemvor, seek to put undead to their rest
>Channel the divine power of my god, and...fill the undead with ineffectual necrotic energy
>Get taught the spell to creating more undead
>Get the ability to wrest control of undead and use them as my own
This is counterproductive.
>>
>>50174146
>>50174118

You should both look up Illithid Body Tamers. Though it's only a part of Forgotten Realms, there was a creed of Mind Flayer in the Illithid city of Oryndol (I'm sure I'm misspelling that) that trained their bodies as well as their minds. They wore carapace plate armor and could de-brain people in a whirlwind attack.
>>
>>50174187
The problem with that is how the Death Domain character option is written. It's explicitly villainous first of all, appearing under the "Villainous Character Options" header. Second is that the Death domain gives you things like Animate Dead and then at 17th level the ability to double the undead you command with it.
>>
Has anyone made a "PHB plus" that combines all subclasses from the PHB, SCAG and UAs into one document?
>>
>>50174211
>>50174229
My bad, meant it as a dogma of the "Life" domain.
Yes, even if its means healing. "It's not your time to go yet".
>>
>>50174225
>de-brain people in a whirlwind attack
brutal
>>50174146
>>50174136
i haven't checked volo's yet, i wanted to pick it at the store but haven't had the chance.
>>
Looking for a bit of input on something as I am anticipating where the group of lvl 8 adventurers I'm DMing will go later in their adventure.

Due to some of the player decisions, I'm thinking of making the next primary villain a mix of a Displacer Beast and a Rakshasa, however I'm not sure how to approach mixing the traits. In my mind, having both the displacer trait and immunity to non-magic/<6th level spells seems a bit overwhelming in some regards, so I was thinking of either turning one of the immunities into a resistance.

The guy's naturally gonna have cohorts as well, I'm just curious how you all would approach mixing these two creatures.
>>
>>50174165
Pretty gay.
>>
Anyone have a trove of high rez maps or anything that could be used for roll20 or maptools or something?
>>
Has anyone made any Kenku? I'm really struggling to think of a backstory/character. I kind of wanted to play a rogue/skillmonkey type, but the only backstory I could think of is a pretty generic warlock, with a pact to a demon/fae who promised to return him to a former kenku ie wings, voice etc. However Warlock doesnt really fit the rest of the party. What kenku's have you made? Where did they come from?
>>
>>50174748
I like the idea of a Kenku Bard, haven't had the chance to play it though
>>
>>50174190
They secrete a mucous to keep their skin from drying out, so, yes?
>>
>>50174324
It seems a bit weird to give a cleric of wee jas the same skillset as the namby pamby healbot.
>>
File: robinhoodmwe-14.jpg (19KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
robinhoodmwe-14.jpg
19KB, 320x180px
>>50174748
This guy, but of course not a disguise.
>>
>>50174442

What's your party made up of?
>>
>>50175056
Repose Domain homebrew guy here, I don't think Wee Jas counts in my domain since she's fine with undead as long as their remains and the permission to obtain them were lawfully obtained.
>>
>>50175149
Brace yourself for goof.

Assassin/Warlock mix, Cleric, Ranger, 2x Monk (one grapple focused), 2x Bard

Yeah 7 players. Balancing a combat is a nightmare.
>>
>>50175185
Oh right, well wasn't that big on the lore to be honest. Still, you get what I mean.
>>
>>50175187
just get another group
>>
>>50175187
>(one grapple focused)
Literally what?
>>
Could someone upload the DMsGuild Volo's supplementary rules for Adventurers League?
>>
>>50175252
My guess would be two Monks, one of them is a grappler.
>>
>>50175282
Don't give me that shit. Nothing else made to go into melee works as poorly at grappling than a monk. They either take better advantage of strength or get a bonus to athletics. Their only advantage is having a free hand available.
>>
>>50175310
GM here. I never say no to bad ideas. I just let them do their thing.

Said grappler nearly died to a tree. Best session imo
>>
>>50175310
I think the advantage of a grappling Monk is doing your full MA damage while keeping an enemy pinned. Shield-using characters have to drop their weapon to grapple, since shields have don/doff timers, and two-handed users can't use heavy weapons with one hand while grappling so this pretty much relegates them to two-handing a versatile weapon instead. Open Hand Monks can also knockdown in the same turn without giving up any damage, like Battlemasters.

Personally, I'd let a grappling Monk auto succeed on his checks vs. Stunned enemies, which is a condition he can inflict on his own. While the Stunned condition only imparts auto-fail on Strength and Dex checks, I'm having some real trouble figuring out how someone who is too out of it to move could contest you in a game of athletics and acrobatics. Shouldn't they just stand there and take it?
>>
>>50175404
Athletics and Acrobatics are Strength and Dex checks.
>>
>>50175414
Sorry, I meant to say Stun auto auto-fails you for Strength and Dex SAVES.
>>
>>50175414
Not that guy, but stunned means auto fail on saves, not checks. You will auto fail a fireball but won't be bothered by a grapple
>>
>>50170811
I fucking love looking at premade dungeons.
Thanks anon, keep it up
>>
>>50174165
Gm was obviously sick of his shit, gimmick characters are cancer
>>
>>50175608
>grapplers are gimmick builds worthy of death
>lol you vaporize
Is there a timespace barrier I can shove you into
>>
>>50173862
>do anything to alert as to its presence.
It can stay invisible, but it will definitely have to give away its presence. I assume once combat starts, using help will reveal its location. It won't be hidden anymore. If there is no sign that anything is there, then it isn't helping.
>>
>>50174165
>"As if you were made of sand, your body shatters as it makes contact with pure space time that resides between planes, time and realities - every spec of your body is sent to a different time, dimension or plane. Scattered to the cosmos."
It's okay. She comes back anyway.
>>
>>50175404
I dunno about standing there and taking it, but the grappler would certainly have advantage v. a stunned enemy.

On grappling monks, is there enough interest to work on an archetype? I'm thinking use dex for athletics checks to grapple, and some abilities based on throwing enemies/redirecting their momentum (Akido style? I think that's right?)
>>
>>50175091
>Oldtimer bird guy who can't fly.
Aarakocra must tell ghost stories about this kind of thing.
>>
How strong is divinitation expert in this game?
I just read the description and it seems very very strong.
diviner ends up with up to 89 spell slots at level 20 ?
and when they access devination expert at lvl 6 they gain up to 9 spell slots at once ?
>>
>>50175463
It should be done by the end of the day, just tuning some encounters and adding in guidelines for people with different level groups.
>>
>>50174748
The limitations on Kenkus as only being able to mimic sounds and skills that they've witnessed in the past seems extremely oppressive and unfun to play as.
>>
>>50176173
You know that it's not different from how most creatures work, right? They learned a language through imitation just like us, except they play back sounds or phrases like a tape recorder instead of formulating them directly. In a way, they have more freedom in mimicing something more perfectly.
>>
>>50176173
A lyrebird that's never heard a chainsaw (or another lyrebird's imitation) can't exactly duplicate it.
>>
>>50176255
In Volo's Kenkus do not even have their own voice. They can only parrot back words they've heard in the past, exactly as they heard them. Sure that's how fucking parrots work but youre playing a sentient species. Have fun trying to express a complicated thought in character.
>>
>>50176280
>https://youtu.be/gfUZmBA2Cck?t=33
All a kenku has to do is hang out in a pub for a week and it's pretty much got language covered.

Hell, pay someone to read the dictionary out loud. There's probably a Wizard out there who makes books-on-orb for the blind or illiterate.
>>
>Homebrew underdark campaign
>DM always forgets about stuff like light and darkvision range (We would walk into a huge 300ft room but will still see all the enemies and layout with 60ft darkvision)
>Other players constantly forget that darkvision has a range in combat. (I could tell them they are too far to see someone, then they try the exact same thing the next round without anyone moving)
Do I just give up on trying to keep track of it when no one seems to care? I feel like I'm just becoming the rules lawyer
>>
>>50176280
>>50176314
How would casting newly learnt spells with vocal components work? I assume spells require specific 'words'
>>
>>50176397
Darkvision isn't worth much anyway. Light is easy to come by.
>>
>>50176442
Assuming Kenku can break words into individual phonemes there's nothing stopping them from using novel words they haven't heard by combining snippets of sounds from words they have.

Ask yourself if it makes sense for a Kenku to say "eyeball" if they've heard people say "eye" and "ball" before, but only read the word "eyeball".
>>
>>50176455
light that covers an entire 300 foot area?

>>50176397
i'd just let it go, your group is effectivelyhoosing to turn fog of war off in the options menu
>>
>>50176489
>Assuming Kenku can break words into individual phonemes there's nothing stopping them from using novel words they haven't heard by combining snippets of sounds from words they have.

Well technically it's in their fluff that they cannot be creative so... that's preventing it. But that's fluff and not mechanics.
>>
>>50176397
knock it off, you're just being annoying.

Nobody gives a shit about light, except on roll20 where light is sort of a built in thing
>>
>>50176510
Thats not creating new words though, thats just making up ones they know with elements of others.
>>
>>50176510
Saying a portmanteau that you've read but not heard by using its elements that you have heard doesn't strike me as being too creative. If the line for "creativity" is drawn before that point, how do Kenku even function?

>leader tells you to stab that ogre
>you've never seen someone stab an ogre before
>ERROR
>>
>>50176442
>I assume spells require specific 'words'
They do not. The words are unimportant, instead the pitch and resonance is what's necessary.
>>
>>50176540
>Thats not creating new words though, thats just making up ones they know with elements of others.

Right, which is a creative endeavor.

>>50176551

I mean I don't give a fuck myself and I'd allow it in my games, I think it was dumb to include in the fluff anyways.
>>
File: 1477196399275.jpg (472KB, 1920x2061px) Image search: [Google]
1477196399275.jpg
472KB, 1920x2061px
Making a Battlemaster War Cleric (Pic related)

How would you lads suggest I handle the specifics of multi-classing? level distribution and such

we start at level 3. I'm definitely starting Fighter.

2 Fighter 1 Cleric? Honestly this kind of sucks because the most effective thing to do would be to go fighter 1-6, but then I'm not a cleric and being a cleric is a big part of the character

I just wanna make the character as good as I can, my last character (a Sorcerer) sucked so much ass and frankly fuck sorcerer.

Would Paladin be a better multi-class? I really like having cantrips like Light and Guidance, plus more and better spells and rituals, bonus action wis mod attacks are dope cause I'm greatsword with GWF and GWM, War God's Blessing for +10 is absurd too for GWM
>>
>>50176596
1 Fighter / Cleric until you're comfortable with the spells and abilities you have (probably 6 or 7), then Fighter for the rest.

You're probably better off just going straight Paladin.
>>
How large is a goodberry? How much weight can one withstand before being crushed?
>>
>>50176562
... meaning according to DnD canon a Kenku can only cast spells they've seen others cast. eh...
>>
>>50176621
Blackberry sized. Less than a pound.
>>
Someone here has a download link for spell cards? I downloaded this months ago and, but had my notepad stoled. Now, I can't find it anywhere. I just found a spell card generator, but the output is not a card size, 64x90.

Someone can help me?
>>
>>50176634
A blackberry cluster, or one of the single drupelets?
>>
>>50176621
BLUEberry sized
>>
>>50176651
Cluster
>>
>>50176621
Cherry-sized but with a texture more like a blueberry.
>>
>>50176634
>>50176656
>>50176689
Pretty sure they are blackcurrent sized
>>
>>50176694
That'd be what, cranberry size in American?
>>
>>50176621
They're the size of persimmons.
>>
>>50176621
Are boisonberries real and, if so, what do they taste like
>>
>>50176621
As large as a plump grape.
>>
>>50176720
Boysenberries are indeed real, they're somewhere between a sweet red raspberry and a tart blackberry. They're delicious, IMO, but rather fragile, and the juice stains *everything*

My family has been friends with the Knott family for about 40 years.
>>
>>50176621
About as big as a huckleberry.
>>
>you are now aware that watermelons, tomatoes, and pumpkins are berries
>>
>>50176788
>You summon 10 watermelons in your hand
>>
>>50176802
>Skyrim glitch exhibition
>>
>>50176788
>While most things with "berry" in their name are not
>>
File: melonhand.jpg (36KB, 376x328px) Image search: [Google]
melonhand.jpg
36KB, 376x328px
>>50176802
>>
>>50176813
Yeah yeah, aggregate drupes. Didn't realize we were all botanists here.

>>50176821
Melon man, take me by the hand, lead me to the land
>>
Anyone got VGM maps?
>>
>>50176834
I play a whip-wielding Bugbear Battlemassassin with the Botanist background who uses a variety of gourds and fruits to fight vampires.
>>
>>50176859
>Bugbearmont
Goddamnit I love this meme, but stop forcing it. let it happen naturally.
>>
>>50176873
I mean, laurels and garlic were very important in Castlevania 2.
>>
>>50176873
Outside of the meme, battlemassassin is a solid portmanteau.
>>
>>50176886
>portmanteau
>twice in one thread
woah
>>
Love the volos art and token folder in the mega, is there similar for other books?
>>
How far can you go using existing race modifiers to create a new one? I'm looking at creating a zombie type race (for Path of Zealot to pair up with a cleric like their minion) and rather than create from scratch i figured it would be easier/more balanced to just edit an existing race.

I started with Lizardmen, because +2con and bite. Swapping the swim speed+15minute breath for no longer needing to eat/drink/breathe (which doesn't really matter in our campaign aside from breathing underwater, which is essentially the same) should be fine. I don't need Natural armour or the crafting, and would probably swap them for maybe darkvision and possibly the elves 4 hour sleep thing if that's balanced.
The main thing I want to do though is swap the +1 wisdom for something more fitting. I feel the most fitting thing for a big dumb zombie would be +2 Con, +1 Str, -2 Int but I don't want it to just be like powergaming a new class (I'm making this for a barb character to be approved by DM). Is swapping Wis for Str appropriate? Should I just leave it +2 Con, -2 Int?
>>
What class do you think is best suited for each of the new races?
>>
File: 1467610621678.jpg (80KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
1467610621678.jpg
80KB, 600x700px
For a warlock-based boss man, should "regain a spell slot" cost 2 or 3 legendary actions?
>>
>>50177151
You could swap the wisdom bonus for something else fitting, like necrotic resistance.
>>
>>50177151
I think half-orc would be closer to a zombie. Maybe see if you could trade the crit bonus for something.
>>
>>50177151
Wis for Str seems fine, Zombies are known for their brute force.

All in all it looks good to me, as long as your DM is fine with it and I see no reason for them not to allow it.
>>
>>50177461
>>50177477
>>50177481
>ask not the eldar...
>>
>>50177417
>>
>>50177413
>Bugbear

Battlemaster. Most likely to take advantage of the reach.

>Hobgoblin

Wizard, clearly

>Kobold

Rogue. Easy to gain advantage

>Goblin

Fighter or Ranger, basically play it like you took 2 levels in Rogue.

>Yuan-ti

Paladin. Cha bonus, and enjoy being immune to magic at level 6.

>Catfolk

Rogue. Take advantage of the extra speed and skills and Hide if you need a turn to recharge your sprint.

>Aasimar

Scourge works great for Barbarians

Those are the main ones that stand out to me off the top of my head
>>
>>50177413
going by stats or lore?
>>
>>50177461
I forgot about necrotic resistance, I don't want to homebrew some OP shit, maybe replacing the darkvision
>>50177477
I looked at half orc first before remembering the bite from Lizards as a cool flavor thing. I could supposedly swap the extra crit for the bite + ravenous bite if that isn't too much. Relentless Endurance is pretty good for the flavor, might not stack well with later levels of Path of Zealot but otherwise really good, and id swap the +2 Str and +1 Con around. Might do that instead.
>>50177481
I thought so as well, I just didn't want my homebrew to look like I made it just for stats because Con and Str is super good for barb, but it also makes sense in flavor.
>>
>>50177527
Great thoughts, what about the triton race? I was thinking maybe paladin or barbarian?
>>50177537
I was thinking stats, but I'd like to hear any thoughts you have regarding lore as well :)
>>
>>50177569
Probably Paladin for Triton. More likely to make use of the Cold resist, Cha boost, and Water Wall spell. Barbarian can't,cast and can resist cold easily.
>>
>>50170431
>trying to play a Goblin in FR is just kind of a shitty thing. Every place you go to your party will get some kind of hassle unless you're not detected or disguised. And I know players, so the first time you guys get asked by the town guard to relinquish your weapons murder will happen invariably

I played one Goblin in a FR game.

He was covered in pitch and set on fire after pissing off his former Hobgoblin boss and wanted revenge.

He was so badly injured that he kept most of his body covered and didn't much resemble a goblin at first glance. He was an utterly duplicitous sycophant who would say or do anything if he thought it;d bring him closer to getting the wealth/weapon/magical-doo-dad he needed to get back home and get his revenge.

He played at being the party's servant. He suffered a lot of abuse, and every once in a while, he'd manage to get back at whoever had done him wrong, but he was pretty damned careful to never get caught and always make it look like an accident or something.
>>
Is there any elf subrace that increases strength or constitution.
>>
>>50177705
Just play a half-elf variant.
>>
>>50177705
Half
>>
>>50172031

It's mostly been with Goblinoids. It got especially strong in Eberron, where the old Goblin Empire was basically Roman Japan/China. The asthetic worked its way into 4e as part of an attempt to differentiate them from the dozen+ other savage tribal monstrous humanoid races (especially Orcs).
>>
>>50177910
I do think it was a good change overall. Making Orcs the more tribal Berserkers and Hobgoblins the more tactical warlords worked nicely to help distinguish them.

Shame they ditched the Warlord class so Int can't actually help your character do tactical things.
>>
>>50176694
Nah, elder berry.
>>
>>50176788
Don't forget bananas
>>
>>50177413
>Bugbear
An Assassin or Ranger to take advantage of their stealth proficiency and getting bonus damage if they win initiative. Strength won't be your main stat on either, but don't dump it down to 10. With even 14 strength you'd be able to make good use of Powerful Build, and an Assassin could take expertise in athletics on top of their stealth expertise to capitalize on the strength bonus they get. The battlemaster reach thing is a gimmick meme, their extra reach benefits every melee class just as well.
>Firbolgs
Thematically these are clearly supposed to be druids and rangers, but the +2 wisdom is actually good for any class due to Perception being a god skill. +1 Strength and Powerful Build are suited to martial classes that use heavy armor (which Druid and Ranger are not), a martial can use the Firbolg Magic feature just as well as a caster (casting racial features are actually a bit redundant on fullcasters that already have spells out the ass, but can expand a martial's options greatly), and Hidden Step is basically just disadvantage on attacks against you for one round, something that helps a front liner.
I say the best classes for Firbolg are Fighter and any Cleric domain that gets heavy armor.
>Aasimar
Clearly they're supposed to be paladins, but since they're transformation abilities give extra damage to spells as well as weapons, they're good for any charisma based caster. A red dragon sorcerer casting Scorching Ray has more chances to hit and apply the extra damage, and a warlock's Eldritch Blast gets more attacks per round at high level than Paladin, meaning more chances to hit. I say Sorcerer and Warlock or protector/scourge Aasimar, Paladin for fallen Aasimar.
>Goliath
Just be a bear barbarian.
>Kenku
Assassins, take expertise in Deception, use their advantage on forgery to piss off your GM. They're also very good shadow monks because of their ASIs.
continued
>>
>>50178068
>Lizardfolk
They're not really good at anything. 13+dex isn't needed by any classes except the ones that wouldn't be able to capitalize on it, and their ASI don't mesh with those anyway.
>Tabaxi
A dexterity based Paladin using standard sword and board. You might think Rogue at first, but Rogues can already dash and disengage with a bonus action, they don't need the extra mobility from this race. A front liner Paladin would be spending a lot of their turns standing stationary while they whack dudes, thus being more likely to reset Feline Agility frequently than the skirmishing d8 hit die fuck-all AC Rogue, and they can use the burst of speed to reach a distant ally who is trouble and needs smites or healing extremely quickly.
>Triton
They suck, just play them as any class that uses their ASI.
>Hobgoblin
Only good for being wizards.
>Goblin
Dexterity based Fighters, Paladins, and Rangers for the same reason as Tabaxi. Nimple Escape is redundant on a Rogue but extremely good on any class that could use mobility.
>Kobold
Moon Druid so you can dodge sunlight sensitivity and the strength reduction while retaining Pack Tactics across all of your beast forms.
>Orc
Any strength based front lining martial class. Aggressive might seem underwhelming at first, and it is, but consider what I said about Tabaxi again. Sometimes an ally is in trouble and you need to clear distance fast. They're mostly just inferior to Half-orcs though.
>Yuan-ti
Don't play these.
>>
>>50178076

I generally agree with your analysis but I think Tabaxi are much better suited to monks and druids if we're using Feline Agility.

>Kobolds

Also make amazing shadow monks.
>>
How does this look for a one shot level 7 Immortal Psion?

Rock Gnome: 8, 15,15,16,12,8
ASI:/Magic Initiate: Booming Blade/lightning lure/Disguise Self
Psionic Talent: Mind Meld/Thought Spear

Scale Mail/Rapier/Shield

I keep both Iron Durability and Psionic Weapon on and react to the situation.
>>
Would a kenku druid retain their mimicry ability while in wildshape?
>>
>>50178263
My ruling: Yes, but limited by their form's ability to make sounds. So if you wildshape into a dog, you can probably sound like a fox or a wolf, or maybe a bear, but no speaking or mimicking other noises because you don't have the proper mouth parts. Gotta be a bird for that.
>>
File: 1354411113263.png (19KB, 387x484px) Image search: [Google]
1354411113263.png
19KB, 387x484px
>>50178263

I would argue yes. Bird mimicry is almost exclusively gutterally-based, and since most animals make gutteral sounds it would carry over.
>>
What's the best setup for a swashbuckler? This class oozes flavor for me and I definitely want to play one soon. Thinking of at least going 3 swash, 3 battlemaster, and then probably the next two levels in fighter for 2 attacks, then grabbing panache. Most likely going shield master and rapier. Thoughts?
>>
>>50178501
get 20 DEX, 20 CHA, and the Alert feat for +15 to initiative/immunity to surprise
>>
>>50178076
>tfw want to play a Lizardfolk
>All I get from picking Lizardfolk is 2 skills, holding my breath and making useless items
>>
>>50178068
>Firbolgs
>Thematically these are clearly supposed to be druids and rangers
and fighters
>>
>>50178720
> implying race min/max matter in 5e.

If you want to play Lizardfolk then play it. You won't be optimal in your ability score but more CON and WIS never hurt.

14 starting STR,DEX,INT or CHA work fine.
>>
Is Volo's being good just a meme.
>>
>>50179042
No, it's really good all around.
>>
>>50179046
as a meme
>>
Out of all the adventure league modules what would you guys say are your favorites?
>>
>>50179042
I was impressed with it. Even the lore fluff that I normally skip over I found enjoyable. The bestiary seemed a little meh though to me. Tome of Beasts was better imo.
>>
>>50179046
>>50179262
They should've dedicated an entire book to either new races or monsters.
>>
>>50179238

Strahd

Storm King's Thunder
>>
File: med (2).png (155KB, 237x512px) Image search: [Google]
med (2).png
155KB, 237x512px
Apprentice Wizard a cute! A cute!
>>
>>50179238
Wha exactly is adventures league? Does it refer to dnd run by game shops?
>>
>>50179336

Adventurer's League is the official, nation-wide, Wizards run D&D league. Basically, if you have an AL legal character you can sit down at any AL table in the country (of the appropriate level) and play with no muss and no fuss. It's a standardized set of rules more or less.
>>
>>50179314
/cm/ plz
>>
>>50179306
A book full of races is too many races imo. UA is giving us a lot of cool class ideas. If you want a "MM2" I recommend Tome of Beasts
>>
>>50179383
Is it better than the PFS at least?

>>50179314
>>50179427
Is that male or female?
>>
>>50179336
>>50179238

I mean the modules that are essentially short adventures released by Wizards
>>
>>50179437
If it's cute it doesn't matter
>>
>>50179449
>>
why are illithids so fucking cool
>>
Longsword is shit... why would wotc do that.
>>
>>50179494
>Longsword is shit... why would wotc do that.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>50179437

The official events I've been to have been fine, although the best seasons are the ones where Wizards actually lets people use the full book instead of just chapter 1. Although expeditions is pretty fun and avoids that most major of complaints. You can play in an AL legal home game and then take your character to conventions too which is what I'm doing at the moment.
>>
>>50179042
Having more monster stablocks is good but a chunk of the races leave something to be desired.
>>
>>50179524
Not him, but there's no reason to use it over a rapier. Versatile is useless for every class but monks and longswords aren't monk weapons.
>>
>>50177567
Have you considered a 20 speed as a major drawback?
>>
Anybody got any good homebrew smite spells for Paladins?
>>
Thinking of making a scrouge zealot barb shou l d I wear armour just use my unarmoured ac?
>>
>>50179780
Depends on your stats, doesn't it?
Of course, fluff-wise complete shirtless disregard for death would be pretty cool
>>
>>50177527
>Yuan Ti paladin
not like this
>>
Ok, so my DM doesn’t allow UA, but I really want to play a barbarian after reading the Monday’s UA. We’re starting at lvl 1. Whats the most OP barbarian build you can think of using only AL legal races/backgrounds/feats etc.?
>>
>>50179383
Interesting, what restrictions do they have? Also, is it a US only thing?
>>
>>50179780
Depends. Having armor and possibly a shield might work if you want to have someone who fits in more alongside Clerics and Paladins, while going without implies a more innate calling to the cause.

Basically, armor would imply that he's a zealot that joined up with the church of his god and can act more civilized, to a degree. Unarmored would suggest that he's more of a hermit who got a vision from his god, picked up an axe, and set off to kill some heretics.

It isn't a massive difference in AC between the two. Mainly a matter of how much you want to invest in Con and Dex versus other stuff. The bigger difference would be if you used a shield.
>>
>>50179475
squid heads and calls to Cthulhu
>>
>>50179780
I had the same idea recently, and I though that maybe if you go with the concept of "get in - get as much damage as you can - die - ressurect - repeat" then maybe armor is a better idea, since you can just disregard Dex and Con and go all Str for max damage.
And also you look more like a crusader.
>>
>>50179941
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say half-orc bear totem barb (for tankiness) or wolf-totem barb (for offense). If bear totem, ask DM about the Marking variant rule in the DMG.
>>
>>50179951

There's a bunch of rules but most of those apply to DMs more than players. The things relevant to players:

-Character creation is standard array or 27 point buy.

-PHB, EE, VGtM, and SCAG are all AL legal. However, there is a PHB+1 rule. If you're a goblin you can't use the SCAG, a blade singer cannot be a goliath etc. Backgrounds are exempt from this rule. Volo's races have a few minor RP restrictions on them. Anything from the DMG is not legal (this applies to DMs as well actually, they can only use PHB rules).

-Up until level 5, you can change anything about your character EXCEPT your name which once you choose is set in stone.

-If you're at an official AL event (as opposed to an AL legal home game) you will need a DCI number. You will also need to keep a record sheet on your XP, gold, downtime, and magic item gains session by session.

-There's a bunch of rules on trading magic items - for the most part just ignore trading and assume what you get is what you have. In an AL legal game, characters with fewer items get priority over those with more. Equal claims are settled through a simple D20 winner-takes-all roll.

That's most of what I can think of off the top of my head. As a player, the rules aren't really a huge deal.
>>
What's good about playing in the AL?
>>
>>50180087

It's standardized so if you don't want to deal with homebrew shit and bad DM settings you don't have to worry about that.

The main draw is that any AL character is 'official' and you can take them to conventions, and if you move across the country then your character can just jump back in.
>>
>>50179697
>there's no reason to use it over a rapier.

if you're ok with being a dainty little faggot then no not really
>>
>>50179314
Is that supposed to be a take on Luke Skywalker?
>>
>>50179452
>>50179449
What the fuck kind of policy is this?
>>
File: (53KB, 540x311px) Image search: [Google]
53KB, 540x311px
>>50180312
The only one worth having.
>>
How do you guys handle magic items?
How rare are they?
Do you have magic item stores in major cities?

I know 5e is supposed to be a lot more sparse with magic items but I'm curious how you guys handle it.
>>
>>50180344
In my homebrew game, I've been pretty generous overall, having a few show up in each town via oddity shops and occasionally having some crafted for them in short amounts of time (though in that case it's being made by a gold dragon in exchange for what little wealth they have so whatever).

In my newly-started Eberron game, the sale of common and uncommon items are commonplace, rarer ones can be found only in the largest cities, and spellcasters can creating them from mundane items using some crafting rules I made.
>>
File: estoc.jpg (13KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
estoc.jpg
13KB, 600x600px
>>50180124
>implying
i will dark souls meta all over you you dainty little faggot
>>
File: image.gif (1MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1MB, 260x260px
Making a bladesinger as my next new character. Should I take two levels in fighter for the extra action? Or just stick with straight wizard?
>>
> DM use critical fail
> Say that it make the game more fun and flavorful

Time to retire my current character and go Halfling Diviner?
>>
>>50180423
Straight Wizard. Rush for Haste ASAP.
>>
>>50180435
don't forget lucky feat
>>
>>50180435
why not halfling wild-diviner with lucky
>>
>>50180445
Might be a retarded question, but why would I take haste over two weapon fighting?

Most of the time I see haste used as an extra attack rather than an extra defensive action, if I had two levels in fighter couldn't I just dual wield and hit a target 4 times with extra action instead of using a spell slot for haste?
>>
>>50180435
yes, always.
>>
>>50180423
>>50180445
Thoughts on best race for blade singer? High elf? Also, what spells do you think you should take? Off the top of my head I can think of shield and haste.
>>
>>50180496
>>50180423
it seems like you think fighters get a literal "extra action" rather than having an "action surge" that they can expend once per short rest and which gives them an extra action for one turn

haste on the other hand can be cast multiple times without resting, and lasts much longer than one turn. it's also silly to chalk haste down to merely an extra action - it also gives you +2 AC and double move speed, which is fucking amazing
>>
>>50180496
Action surge is once per short rest.
Unless your DM is super lax and will give you short rest after every encounter (DMG recommend 4 encounter before 1 short rest), it is not using that resource for one more attack.

Also TWF use your bonus action, action surge only grant you an action, not bonus action. You can't use your off-hand again.
>>
File: Behold!.png (478KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Behold!.png
478KB, 1000x1000px
Volo's guide has a bit for generating beholders and one of the things for teeth is "Human-like teeth", and I kinda feel like putting human teeth in something that isn't human kinda gives an odd look to it.
>>
>>50180548
It'd be hilarious.
>>
>>50180548
human-like doesn't mean perfect. i don't know any humans who have perfectly straight, perfectly white teeth like that. fuck the teeth up a bit, give them some different sizes, chips, discolouration, etc. this is a monster, he doesn't brush, floss. or rinse
>>
>>50178501
Pure swashbuckler, half-elf, grab magic initiate at level 4 and take from either sorc or lock (depending on what first level spell you want) for cha based casting and access to booming blade and green flame blade. Swashbuckler gives easy sneak attacks, you can do your sneak attack damage on BB and GFB every turn. The damage scales really well. If you like rolling a shit load of dice every round, this is the build for you.
>>
>>50180344
I haven't had a chance to GM yet but I plan to write up clear guidelines on how to get magic items of different types and rarities when I do. Uncommons you can just buy in any city, rares you need to craft yourself but don't need a formula for it, very rare and you'll be busting your ass for that formula, ect. With exceptions for specific items set aside in the full thing.
Playing mother may I with GM isn't fun and that's what it always feels like when you ask "can I buy/craft this item?" and he just gives some evasive answer while expecting you to do a song and dance inside a shop during the session to get a nerfed version of the basic shitty item you wanted.
>>
>>50180522
Not him but Haste lasts one minute, that's two turns at most.

It also stuns you at the end of the spell so unless you use your double movespeed to get the fuck out of range, you're an easy target.

And then you have to use your next turn getting back into range.

Compare that to a fighter splash, you get action surge, your dex modifier added to your offhand attack, and later if you wish, you can grab the two weapon fighting fear for +1 AC as well as the ability to dual wield rapiers instead of scimitars.
>>
>>50180568
>fuck the teeth up a bit
Why? The perfect pearly white are hilarious. and There's nothing stopping a beholder from using it's fine control over telepathic and disintegration beams to maintain some nice chompers
>>
>>50180580
So basically a combat oriented AT? Sounds dope.

>>50180522
>>50180547
Gotcha, thanks for the info.
>>
>>50180584
>Haste lasts one minute, that's two turns at most.
a turn is 6 seconds anon
>>
>>50180548
>>50180563
>>50180568
>>50180606
Also give the beholder googly eyes for more hilarity.
>>
>>50180584
> one minute
> 2 turn
What? Each turn is 6 second. One minute is 10 turn.
>>
>>50180568
I dunno, it's not too hard to believe that a beholder who is so convinced that he is the absolute pinnacle of his kind to be obsessed with physical perfection and dental hygiene.
>>
So in a recent attempt to fix monks and gain more variety with fighting styles I ended up brewing this:

Versatile master - Your versatile weapons damage die is improoved to 1d10/1d12 and anything mooving within a range of 5ft+half your unspent movement of you provokes attacks of opportunity from you in which you also spend the remaining movement.

Puglist: You gain a +2 on damage rolls with unarmed strikes and may use your reaction to execute an unarmed strike on any creature within 5ft of you.

Throwing mastery: You gain a +2 to damage rolls with thrown weapons and don't receive a disadvantage on ranged attacks made within 5ft range.

Iron body: While unarmoured you gain an additional +1 AC and the damage you receive from non-magical weapons is reduced by 2.

Monks gain a fighting style at lvl 1 same as fighters.
>>
File: Goggles.png (478KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Goggles.png
478KB, 1000x1000px
>>50180620
His name is Gu'glih, and he demands to be taken seriously
>>50180606
I agree, Beholders are weird like that
>>
File: 5e-googly-beholder.jpg (90KB, 529x428px) Image search: [Google]
5e-googly-beholder.jpg
90KB, 529x428px
>>
>>50180580
why no justice start with dragon sorc to get shield, extrac 1 AC
>>
>>50170431
There are areas goblinoids are accepted as mercenaries, which the Adventurer League table suggests.
>>
What's become of the Thultanthar/Myth Drannor impact site?

Surely there must be some awesome loots hiding in there.
>>
DM questions:

1a. Would you let your PCs create spells? Obviously sent to your approval first and for hefty costs (i was thinking 2x the cost to copy an already existing spell at its level into a spellbook) in game.

1b. What kind of limitations would you put on that, if any? Would you let your wizard get a healing spell if he was deadset on learning one? If not, what if it was a healing spell that only healed himself or even couldn't heal himself?

1c. At what point is a spell stepping on the toes of another class? Wizards get Lightning Lure, druids get Thorn Whip. If a sorcerer in your game wanted to make a 1st or higher spell level version of basically Lightning Lure, would you let him?

2. Similarly, how much leeway do you allow for letting the magic users create magic items? Obviously following the magic item creation guidelines on power level but specifically what is the real cutoff point you'd allow? Flametongue is pretty good, but would you let someone make a powered down version for less damage dice but at uncommon instead of rare? etc.
>>
>>50180709
I always imagine Beholders are the sort of monster to engage in crude psychological warfare. Sort of like Dr. Evil in Austin Powers. I can just imagine this motherfucker insulting adventurers for having poor dental hygiene.

Fuck, Beholder dentist. New NPC.
>>
>>50180692
Aside from throwing master, these are prob too strong. 1 handed d10 and an extra attack on reaction every turn with a range is strenk af. Free attack on pugilist seems strong as well for no requirement, it's literally just extra attack. Just having +2 damage is a bit boring when it's the same as throwing mastery/Marksman. I really like the throwing mastery, but I'd probably just give them Marksman and have monks gain the other benefit naturally. Iron body just a heaps stronger version of the existing armour mastery, would make the first couple levels overpowered then drop off massively and do nothing later. It's good ideas and I like the fighting Style idea for monk just probably a bit strenk/similar to existing Styles.
>>
>>50180909
>The bleeding is normal, human, it's because you don't floss enough!
>>
>>50180904
1a: Yes. Already happened.
1b: Very few, though I'd use the crafting rules for it.
25gp/day towards the total price of the spell. I'd do.. Oh, I don't know... 500 gp per spell level? That's 20 days of crafting per spell level, and you can half it for every spellcaster you're willing to hire and share the spell with. The restrictions would specify that it would need to be classified properly, which means no evocation healing and no enchantment fireballs.
1c: I would use my judgement as a DM.

2: I'm cool with it. Gotta follow the rules though.
>>
>>50180924
TIME TO DISINTEGRATE THAT PLAQUE!

MY PARALYSIS EYEBEAM ALSO PROVIDES A NUMBING SENSATION, DO NOT WORRY HUMAN.

NOW WHICH FLAVOR WOULD YOU LIKE FOR YOUR 'PRODUCE WATER' CLEANING?
>>
>>50180955
Beholder Dentist just wants to free you from the tyranny of plaque and gongivitits.
>>
>>50180962
I bet they'd hire only attractive and aesthetically pleasing receptionists and assistants too, since they'd have to look at them all the time.

And you know they'd offer competitive pricing, if another beholder dentist opened shop up down the road.
>>
>>50180940
>no evocation healing
but healing is evocation. Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Prayer of Healing, etc.
>>
>>50180984
All of its paranoias revolve around local sugar industries, because obviously they're being set up by rivals to ruin his hard work
>>
>>50180692
>>50180920
Just realised I forgot to add my own ideas. I'm a bit conservative with homebrew so it could be weak, I'm just not a fan of getting extra attacks on reaction without any requirements, and ones that are too similar/just better than existing fighting styles. For example id replace that armour one with: (also I'm bad at names and wording but bear with me)
Be like water: when you take the dodge action, when someone attacks you and misses can attack them as a reaction with unarmed or a monk weapon. Could also add the effects of evasion when you take the dodge action.
relies on using a lesser used defensive action as offense, pretty fittong for monk imo.

Throwing weapon mastery: when you use a throwing weapon, choose between +2 to attack roll or damage roll. Must choose before Rolling. Also don't have disadvantage at melee range.
Not 100% on this one but I liked your idea, bit also like the idea of extra choice. Could change to +1 to not just be a better version of other fighting styles, bit that could be too weak.

Versatile weapon master: increase versatile weapon damage by one dice.while wielding only versatile weapons +1 AC.
I like the idea of quarterstaff blocking. Might be a bit op, essentially a very strong one handed weapon +half a shield.

Plus something for unarmed combat focus bit I'm out of ideas desu
>>
>>50180904
>1a. Would you let your PCs create spells? Obviously sent to your approval first and for hefty costs (i was thinking 2x the cost to copy an already existing spell at its level into a spellbook) in game.
If someone is trying to play a poison dragon sorcerer or acid dragon sorcerer you are pretty much obligated to make some new spells for them just so they aren't crippled for the sake of a character concept. Otherwise yeah, that sounds fine.
>1b. What kind of limitations would you put on that, if any? Would you let your wizard get a healing spell if he was deadset on learning one?
Fuck no, that's the territory of another class entirely, not something that isn't present in the game. He can take cleric levels if he wants that.
>If not, what if it was a healing spell that only healed himself or even couldn't heal himself?
That's a spell called False Life.
>1c. At what point is a spell stepping on the toes of another class?
Don't give a class healing spells if they don't already have healing spells, don't give a class immediate damage spells (fireball and lightning bolt) if they don't already have them. Archetype extra spells are exceptions and you shouldn't mess with those either.
>2. Similarly, how much leeway do you allow for letting the magic users create magic items?
No real cutoff point on what they can create as long as they have the gold for it desu, they won't be able to craft more than one or two good items until high level anyway and at high level just go nuts.
The Flametongue specifically I would say that the weaker version has a time limit on how long it can be activated per day that's less than 60 seconds, so you turn it on when you need the couple rounds of damage instead of just having it on all the time as you would with the normal version.
>>
File: 1442413908877.jpg (609KB, 1379x1379px) Image search: [Google]
1442413908877.jpg
609KB, 1379x1379px
>>50180990
Shhh, I'm retarded.

I was trying to say something else but I got hung up on the remark about wizards casting heal and fucked my shit up nicely.

Nothing to see here.
>>
>>50180904
For spell creation, it's mainly a matter of degrees. If somebody wants to homebrew a version of Burning Hands that does Cold damage instead to better fit with their White Dragon Sorcerer, I have little problem just making that a basic thing to swap damage types. Might tweak things a bit if they're trying to switch from something commonly resisted to rarely, but if there's a good fluff reason I have little issue.

If it was in terms of creating spells that they don't have access to or outright don't exist, then it gets a bit more dicey. I'd probably require they do some spell research, spend money and time figuring out how to combine similar spells or learning from someone who might have already gotten what they were looking for.

The main place I care about stepping on toes is when it's very clear a class is supposed to be worse or missing out in some area, like how Clerics and Druids have worse blasting cantrips, or how arcane casters don't get healing.

As for creating Magic items, I basically just run it as a quest. If you want a Flametongue, then you're gonna need to go through this fire dungeon to get reagents, speak with a skilled smith to forge a blade that is well attuned for it, and then conduct a lengthy ritual to infuse it properly.

Basically, if you want a particular magic item, then it's a bit of extra work compared to just working with whatever magic items I give out, but still essentially the same process of it being the reward for a quest.
>>
>>50180997
Forgot to mention, it would probably be better if this wasn't at level one
Imo monks are already very strong in the first few levels with their extra attack. I've only ever had one monk in my campaigns but even with just d4 unarmed doing essentially 2d4+6 per turn is Hella strong.
Id honestly suggest having this at level 3 or even 4 or something, could be wrong tho
>>
>>50181014
So, provided a spellcaster has the level required and the gold or equivalent, you wouldn't allow them to create whatever magic item they wanted "from scratch" (so a flametongue you'd need a sword, a deck of many things some cards, etc.)
>>
>>50180692
>Throwing mastery
>doesn't include that you can draw multiple thrown weapons on your turn
come on son
>>
>>50181040
my group plays with this anyway so I forgot
Definitely add that in there
>>
>>50181039
No. Something I like about 5e is how it avoids the typical Magic Item Mart, so just letting people bypass that because they're playing a certain class by spending the gold to craft it doesn't sit well with me.

If you want a Flametongue, you're getting a masterwork sword from a smith, then questing to plunge it into a magical volcano or something similar. If you want a Deck of Many Things, you're probably going to need to coat the cards in some special material, then travel to a bunch of different magical locations to attune them before shuffling it in a final ritual.

Of course, another benefit here is that I'm not charging them anything to make these things, since it's effectively them saying that they'd rather go on a quest for this instead of whatever else.
>>
>>50180904
I always let my players do this with thematic spells, ie anything that isn't fire really.

The game seems to advocate going for a single element, especially dragonblood sorcs. Yet despite this, fire is the only really good element.

So I let my players make similar spells to another element, provided it makes some semblance of sense. For example, a refluffed fireball that deals frost damage I has the same characteristics, with no other change than the element, and the description is more of a "flash freeze the air in the area" than "an explosion of fire".

Because why not, it's not like it makes sense for fire to be inherently stronger than the other elements.
>>
>>50180732
The AC boost is small and will eventually become obsolete, the level behind on rogue will last forever.
>>
>>50181078
Oddly enough, Fire isn't inherently stronger. In some ways it's actually worse, since it's one of the more common resistances.

The big way Fire is better is that there's spells for it at every damn level, while Acid, Poison, and Cold, typically have entire levels with no options.

That makes Fire easier to use with something like Elemental Adept, but it's really just such a minor thing in the long run for someone who's limiting themselves to one element anyway.
>>
>>50180990
Why the fuck do wizards always insist on getting some kind of healing spell?

I just don't get it. If you wanted a character who could heal, you should have picked something else. I don't mind you roleplaying a wizard hating himself for being able to bend the fabric of reality, but not even being able to mend a papercut, but stop trying to force healing spells into your spell pool.
>>
>>50181014
>As for creating Magic items, I basically just run it as a quest. If you want a Flametongue, then you're gonna need to go through this fire dungeon to get reagents, speak with a skilled smith to forge a blade that is well attuned for it, and then conduct a lengthy ritual to infuse it properly.
ah god dang sounds like literally noone is ever getting a flametongue in your game
>>
Make spears great again
>>
>>50181104
Well, it's either that, or they find a Flametongue in a pile of loot or a treasure chest on any other quest they're going for.

Is it really so odd to say that if you want to make a specific one of these rare special magic items, that you might need to go through some effort to do so? That you can't just erase a number on your sheet and sit around for a few weeks and expect your wizard to crank one out?
>>
>>50181097
> laughing theurge wizard
>>
>>50181043
I get that.

I literally don't know anyone who actually enforces this. If you are using throwing daggers or darts, you can draw one as a part of your attack action. Not by RAW, but by common sense. Throwing weapons aren't exactly overpowered here.
>>
File: 687.jpg (68KB, 546x706px) Image search: [Google]
687.jpg
68KB, 546x706px
>>50181097
calm yourself, these were just hypothetical questions
>>
>>50181139
Lots of spellcasters get healing, so if you pick an ordinary arcane wizard, you kinda decided you didn't want healing spells. If you regret that decision, you can multiclass into cleric.

>>50181151
Maybe, but when you see the 20th post where someone asks about healing spell for arcane casters, who clearly weren't meant to get healing spells, you start getting annoyed.
>>
File: 1438292140940.png (47KB, 344x517px) Image search: [Google]
1438292140940.png
47KB, 344x517px
>>50181170
wizards and clerics can both deal damage
wizards and clerics can both scry
wizards and clerics can both turn shit into other shit
wizards and clerics can both find things
wizards and clerics can both enchant people
wizards and clerics can both protect themselves or others
wizards and clerics can both create magic weapons to attack for them
wizards and clerics can both teleport or create portals
only clerics can heal
only wizards can.. can... can...
>>
>Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove
Is it? I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>50181210
Ignore me, grabbed the wrong one.
>>
>>50181199
Simulacrum
>>
>>50181199
>only wizards can
Cast spells a lot better than clerics and generally have access to a lot more powerful spells and effects.

>clerics deal damage
M8 if you see a cleric deal more damage than a wizard, the wizard is either save - fucking the entire opposition in the ass at the same time, or the wizard player is a super-retard.

>b..but undead
Being better at dealing with 1 specific category of enemies that may or may not be relevant in a campaign is fucking pathetic and not worth using as a point of comparison.
>>
>>50181227
>>clerics deal damage
>M8 if you see a cleric deal more damage than a wizard, the wizard is either save - fucking the entire opposition in the ass at the same time, or the wizard player is a super-retard.

so following this logic, can't a wizard get healing if it is far less optimal than a cleric of the same level?
>>
>>50181199
The fact that Cleric damage spells at low levels consist of Sacred Flame and Guided Bolt compared to everything that Wizards get should probably tell you something about Cleric's blasting capabiities.
>>
>>50181082
well I consider the AC and +1 hp quite useful early on, but you make sense too
>>
we should start a new thread when you guys are done shitposting btw
>>
Wizard can already heal via Wish.
>>
>>50181234
Why do you want healing spells?

If you want a more supportive role, without being a cleric, you have a fuckton of options. Go Lore bard, for example. There, you got everything you wanted - or what?

I am trying to wrap my head around what your issue is, but you are contradicting yourself so fucking hard right now, I am having trouble telling what your issue is. This is like a fighter complaining he isn't as good at sneaking as a thief.
>>
>>50181257
And that should be more than enough, so adding actual healing spells is pointless.
>>
File: 1439593568217.gif (11KB, 304x161px) Image search: [Google]
1439593568217.gif
11KB, 304x161px
>>50181258
>>
>>50181263
>I don't have an argument, so I am just going to shit post with an unrelated image instead
>>
>>50181263
You could have answered instead.

I am genuinely curious. It's like the people wanting an unarmed barbarian, which could be done just as well with a monk. Except that can could make some sense... right now, this "wizard needs healing spells" meme is completely pointless.

So please, explain it, instead of just calling me mad.
>>
>>50171623
"When you use the Attack action and attack with a one- handed weapon (hand crossbow), you can use a bonus action to attack with a loaded hand crossbow (same one) you are holding."
>>
>>50181286
From my point of view I would say that it makes sense for abjuration wizards and transmutation wizards to have some sort of healing. Wizard is a variety class and not just a fireball machine.
>>
>>50181309
>Wizard is a variety class and not just a fireball machine.
but wizards aren't just a fireball machine, i know that, you know that, we all know that. they can do all sorts of shit, including shit other classes can't do (bard spell-stealing notwithstanding). they don't need to be able to do EVERYTHING
>>
>>50171623
Also if you are talking about TWF bonus attack, that only useable on melee weapon (although you can throw it, if it has throwing property)
>>
>>50181318
On the level of magic it would make sense for them to do everthing magical, even if not as good.
>>
>>50181324
So theurge wizard?
>>
>>50181324
The problem is that they do what they do best in 80% of the cases already, giving them access to healing, even at a lower level, would make them even better than they already are.

And again, the wizard class don't have access, but druids and bards do, and there really aren't that big of a difference between them to be an issue, unless you are just trying to be a bitch here. Really, why not lore bard instead of wizard, if you just want access to healing spells? Mostly the same, except you get access to different goodies and the healing spells you so desperately seek.
>>
>>50181371
Im not that original guy so you know.
Im just saying it would make sense to have some healing, since almost any other spell casting class has it anyway.
>>
File: hard mode.jpg (684KB, 2134x2705px) Image search: [Google]
hard mode.jpg
684KB, 2134x2705px
>>50181132
>Is it really so odd to say that if you want to make a specific one of these rare special magic items, that you might need to go through some effort to do so? That you can't just erase a number on your sheet and sit around for a few weeks and expect your wizard to crank one out?
Yes. It devalues gold and the ability to using crafting tools while wasting everyone's fucking time with your autistic crap.
I went on the exact kind of quest you're describing, it took months of sessions because the GM was an idiot and ended up completely fruitless because he wouldn't stop adding boxes to his checklist of bullshit to make his super speshul item that we didn't even know what it did and wasn't even plot relevant. Because he wasn't running it for us to enjoy a brief quest on the side for a thing we wanted, he was running it for us to appease his raging fucking nerd autism about how any item labeled magical is next to impossible to create in a world where you can blow up buildings with bat poop.
>>
I'm writing up some notes for a campaign set for the most part in a city about to come under siege.

Any ideas for fun ecounters that wouldn't just revolve around looters and criminals taking advantage of the turmoil?
>>
>>50181501
>>50181501
new thread everybody
>>
File: 1449859537272.gif (983KB, 260x195px) Image search: [Google]
1449859537272.gif
983KB, 260x195px
>>50180381
That's an estoc, not a rapier, you dainty little bitch
>>
>>50180920
>>50180997

Hm well the reaction stuff needs some change.

On puglist change the reaction to "when your enemy within 5 ft misses you with a melee attack you may use your reaction to hit them with an unarmed strike".

Versatile master is definitely overpowered so I should change it to a +2 on damage rolls with versatile weapons and a target moving through a space of 10ft around you triggers attacks of opportunity with your versatile weapon.

Iron body is balanced with a +1 AC boost and a 2 point damage decrease from mundane weapons.
It's an imitation of the heavy armour mastery feat sure but you forget that monks are a 1d8 Hp die class who can't afford to invest into Con.
Also helps D.sorcerer and other unarmoured builds to bulk up a bit.
Thread posts: 402
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.