[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 385
Thread images: 30

File: 1476485247224.jpg (238KB, 546x820px) Image search: [Google]
1476485247224.jpg
238KB, 546x820px
Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread: >>50156903

Question: What's your favorite podcast or other DnD related content?
>>
rip /5eg/
>>
Making a fire-aligned elf subrace:

>Ability Score Increase: Constitution +1.
>Fire Elf Weapon Training: You have proficiency with the dagger, shortsword, whip and your choice between shortbow and blowgun.
>Heat Resistance: Once per short rest you can make yourself resistant to fire damage for 10 minutes.

Is it too strong? Too weak? Can't quite decide
>>
>>50162871

/5eg/ is dead, and we have killed it.
>>
>>50162946
Too weak. Just grant them fire resistance outright. If it's not overpowered on tieflings or dragonborn, it won't be overpowered on elves.
>>
>>50162699

Which is more fun and flavorful for a character with weather powers? Tempest Cleric or Storm Sorcerer?
>>
>>50162953
...¿por qué? What did I miss?
>>
>>50162946
Way too weak. Temporary fire resistance is meh compared to what others can get.

I came up with a few fire related Elf subraces for a setting I was working on, if you're interested. They do overlap a bit with the standard ones since I had them in mind as replacements rather than additions.
>>
>>50162960
What about leaving the resistance temporary but giving them instead an ability to deal fire damage sometimes?
>>
>>50162969
Storm Barbarian
>>
>>50163010
These are also a replacement for Drow (There are 5 races aligned with chinese elements). And please do post it
>>
>>50163014
Tieflings and dragonborn can sometimes deal fire damage AND have permanent fire resistance.

Just give them permanent fire resistance.

Also since when has fire, which is the easiest of the 4 classical elements to destroy, been associated with Constitution, something that makes you harder to kill? I would think that a fire subrace would increase Dexterity (dancing flames), Intelligence (fire's association with technology), or Charisma (fire is pretty and forceful). Since it's an elf subrace probably not Dexterity, so that leaves Intelligence or Charisma.
>>
I rolled a ranger (UA revised if it matters) and I'm thinking down the line I'll dip into fighter for a few levels, get some battlemaster maneuvers. What are The Good Ones for an archer?
>>
>>50162946
What's the lore behind the race?

Did you take a elemental based system to make elven subraces while accomodating the existing ones?

If so having 6 elven subraces with each having a different stat boost would be neat.

Dark elves having necrotic resistance and Cha.

Sun/Moon elves having radiant resistance and Int

Aquatic elves having freezing resistance and Con.

Wood elves having uh what would be appropriate a bludgeon resistance or to theme them after earth?

Fire elves having fire resistance and +Str

And then there'd be wind elves with either thundering or lightning resistance and an additional +1 to Dex.
>>
>>50163045
They live underground in proximity of lava. That's really where heat resistance comes from (and should prolly be permanent)
>>
>>50162946
An Elf walks into a bar
There's now Bar Elves
>>
>>50162969
Storm Sorcerer with Sailor background
>>
>>50162969
Storm sorc is shit and cleric is just a cleric.

Storm barbarian does it better.
>>
Last session one of my players got tricked into putting on a brass bracelet that instantly locked around his arm. The players know the item is of the transmutation school. What are some cool curses or side-plots I can make happen to the player because of this?
>>
>>50163075
They live underground? I would assume this would be an Earth race, not a Fire race. Lava is molten rock, not fire. A fire race would be better served by living above ground, maybe near volcanoes, but also near forests or grasslands (that frequently catch fire). Or perhaps in a desert.
>>
>>50163031
Alright, all of them had the standard elf features baseline, from there

Peak: +1 Int
Weapon Training: Spear, Shortbow, Longbow, Warhammer
Cantrip: Control Flames, one other cantrip that deals fire damage. Int is the spellcasting ability.

(This is basically high elves, but with Control flames in exchange for more restriction on the type of cantrip.)

Glade: +1 Wis
Weapon Training: Handaxe, Battleaxe, Shortbow, Shortsword
Fleet of Foot: Same as wood elf
Trailblaze: As an action, sense distance and direction to nearest fire. You also know the approximate size of the fire. Once per long rest, you may focus on the nearest fire to either see or hear what is happening near it for 10 minutes

Jungle: +1 Str
Weapon Training: Scimitar, Spear, Blowgun (If you already have proficiency with a Blowgun, you deal 1d6 damage with blowguns instead)
Clamber: Advantage on Athletics checks to Climb
Mask of the Wild: Same as wood elf, except it also works with Smoke & Ash

(These two were pretty much the wood elf split up.)

Wild: +1 Cha
Weapon Training: Shortbow, Glaive, Longsword, Shortsword
Blink Step: You may cast Misty Step to travel a short distance through the Feywilde, buy you are blinded for 1 round afterwards. You must finish a short or long rest until you use this aiblity again.
Cantrip: Produce Flame. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for it.

(This was based more on the Eldadrin from the DMG, with a setting based downside to the blink to justify a cantrip.)

Not sure if any fit what you're going for, but maybe it'll give you some ideas at least.
>>
File: profile-bigw314.jpg (25KB, 314x369px) Image search: [Google]
profile-bigw314.jpg
25KB, 314x369px
>>50163120
He sometimes transforms into otherworldly beings
>>
>>50163120
Well, there's two different routes you can go. You can either have the bracelet transmute the wearer, or have the bracelet transmute itself.

Maybe it starts melding with their flesh and turning them to brass, maybe it turns other metals it touches into brass. Maybe it's turning them into something unrelated. Maybe it's turning them into a brass dragon. Maybe it can form into a brass suit of armor temporarily. Maybe just a shield.
>>
>>50163120
I'm assuming the bracelet is not easily removed. Have it belong to someone or something that really, really wants it back.
>>
>>50163073
There are 5 subraces (6 technically, but the 6th one isn't for PCs) loosely aligned with 5 chinese elements (and 6th is poison for corrupted essence)

High Elves
Charisma +1.
Cantrip: You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for it.

Wood Elves
Wisdom +1.
Fleet of Foot: Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
Mask of the Wild: You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obscured by natural foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, or other similar conditions.

Star Elves
Intelligence +1.
Path of Stars: You can cast the Misty step spell once using this trait. You regain the ability to do so when you finish a short or long rest.
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Ancient Eldar (Elvish) and one extra language.

Sea Elves
Ability Score Increase: Strength +1.
Amphibious: You can breathe air and water. Your base swimming speed is 30 feet. You can’t have a long rest without enough water to submerge yourself.
Superior Darkvision: Your darkvision has a radius of 120 feet.
From Cold Depths: You have resistance to Cold damage.

Deep Elves
Constitution +1.
Heat Resistance: Once per short rest you can make yourself resistant to fire damage for 10 minutes.

They also all have different weapon sets and languages
>>
Hey guys, BANanon again. Episode 3 went up yesterday on the site if anyone was listening. Gotten great feedback so far and would love some more on every aspect of it.

Like for one, I don't think I'm a fan of the intro and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for it.

www.bardsandnobles.com

tl;dr
>5e podcast
>buncha dudes getting drunk and playing D&D
>>
>>50163060
Disarming strike to steal some neat gear from enemies by teaming up with your thief or monk buddy.

Goading attack from range on a melee focused enemy and ensure automatic disadvantage against every one of your team mates.

Maneouvering attack lets you get your melee bruisers to block the way.

Pushing attack lets you take down targets who have the high ground.

And finally tripping enemies at range is so good.

If you go sharpshooter you have to get precission tho since it ensures your boosted attacks actually hit.
>>
>>50162699
Threshold by d6mafia
>>
>>50163124
The connections are pretty loose and don't necessarily reflect physiology

Metal is high elves. They came control the remaining metal sources after a major elemental cataclysm in the past
Wood is wood elves. For obvious reasons
Star elves are earth for living in the highest mountains and an alliance with goliaths
Sea elves for water. Obvious again
Deep elves for fire because they live in hot volcanic caverns and are the primary competitor of the High elves
>>
>>50163172
>>50163234
It's all a draft, though, and subject to change
>>
Would it be unreasonable to rework the Storm barbarian into something more like Totem, where you choose what kind of benefits it grants you?
>At 3rd level, choose an element and either Seething Strike (end of turn damage spike against single target) or Lashing Presence (2 + Lv/4 AoE damage)
>At 6th, gain resistance to that damage type
>At 10th, can share resistance
>At 14th, choose between Shifting Earth (current desert power, turns ground into churning sand/brine/snow), Coursing Winds (current sea, knock down on hit), and Ensnaring Field (current blizzard, area is difficult terrain)
>>
>>50163234
>>50163234

Wouldn't it make more sense to swap Star and Deep elves? Stars are known for being bright and hot, and living on wooded mountains or volcanoes could lead to wildfires or similar situations.

Deep elves would have to go very deep to get to volcanic caverns, but before that they're completely surrounded by Earth.
>>
>>50163206
Precision and goading seem great, but I'm not so sure about tripping. Helps my melee buddies but gives me disadvantage, so I'd want to be changing targets after using it.
>>
>>50163261
True I suppose. What would that make their traits, though?
>>
>>50163261
>Stars are known for being bright and hot
Are they? In a medieval setting?
>>
>>50163251
Probably not. At the very least it would allow some different fluff options and combinations, though I think the Sea benefits are still the best.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some ritual spells added for the various paths to help give a bit more utility. Maybe even ranged cantrips for those rare instances when you're not raging.
>>
>>50163261
Do you think they literally supposed to live on stars or what?
>>
>>50163288
>>50163304
They're known more for being bright than they are for being earth, at least.
>>
>>50162699
Whose cock do I need to suck for the volos pdf?
>>
>>50163288
Honestly, in this setting I'm not even sure stars other than the sun exist. The world was wrecked way back in the day by, essentially, the villains' plot from Elemental Evil coming to fruition.
Since then there's fire-aligned sun (with dragons being sealed inside), water-aligned surface of the planet, metal-aligned hollow earth inside the planet (that's where most metals gone), earth-aligned Underdark between and wood-aligned moon
>>
>>50162946
>>
>>50163334
Yeah, so why would the Deep elves near the earth-aligned underdark be Fire, while the Star elves on mountain peaks closest to the Sun be Earth?
>>
>>50163354
That's an odd choice of the image
>>
>>50163326
Literally first word in the 5eg post.
>>
>>50163354
... but what does it mean
>>
>>50163366
I opened the wrong image but I was just like 'fuck it' and rolled with it.
>>
>>50163361
They're nowhere close to the Underdar, no more than dwarves in more generic fantasy settings. It's the 6th subrace who live there, they're mostly runaway deep elves and deep dwarves twisted by spirits of the place
>>
>>50163120
Have them roll a DC 10 Constitution check every morning at dawn. If they fail a small patch of their skin petrifies. If they fail to remove the bracelet (i.e. remove the curse) they become completely petrified after failing like... 20 times. Obviously they would start to get disadvantage on certain things as they become more and more petrified, and gives them a reason to try and get the thing removed. Especially useful if you also give it a really nice benefit like someone above suggested.
>>
>>50163387
>Living deep enough to be near active magma flows
>Somehow not close to the underdark

Doesn't seem to line up.
>>
>>50163369
I mean who scanned the thing? I'm not asking who can give it to me in return for a beeg I'm asking who I already owe the beeg to.
>>
>>50163284
Don't trip unless it's your final shot of the round.
>>
>>50163354
Thanks for this, I'll use it somehow

>>50163417
>>50163361
>>50163321
>>50163304
>>50163288
>>50163261
I suppose I'll rethink the whole arragement. Not guaranteed to change but still
>>
Has anyone considered interesting uses for bugbear's Long Limbed using spells? You could
>Lightning Lure or Thorn Whip someone from extra range
>Attack with Spiritual Weapon from a distance
>>
>>50163172
>Amphibious: You can breathe air and water. Your base swimming speed is 30 feet. You can’t have a long rest without enough water to submerge yourself.
>You can’t have a long rest without enough water to submerge yourself.
PANIC!
>>
File: robbieroten-mainimage.jpg (69KB, 731x718px) Image search: [Google]
robbieroten-mainimage.jpg
69KB, 731x718px
Stat him, /5eg/!
>>
>Minotaurs don't have Powerful Build despite being bigger than Goliaths and Bugbears

Nobody fucking plays Dragonlance, give us universal Minotaur stats
>>
>>50163480
I mean, tieflings have resistance to fire from level 1. It's not that overpowered. No need to limit it like that.
>>
>>50163488
Spiritual Weapon already moves so that's not really a huge deal.

There's no melee attack on Lightning Lure so the racial doesn't apply.

Thorn Whip is legitimate.
>>
>>50163172
Uh you lost me there.
They aren't even looseley based arround the chinese elements which are Fire, Water, Earth, Wood and Gold/Metal.
Damn now i want METAL ELVES who only use axes and have glorious hair.

All elves share these traits:
Fey ancestry
Darkvision 60ft
ASI +2 Dex

Fire elves:

Fire is explosive and wild/willfull in nature so Cha it is.

ASI +1 to Cha

Fire elf weapon training: Sabres, Daggers, Throwing knives/darts/javelins, Whips.

Tempered constitution: Fire resistance

You know one fire based cantrip of your choice from the Wizard, Cleric or Sorcerrer spell list.

Aquatic elves:

Their bodies suffer the pressure and cold of water but are also adapted to swim constantly so either Str or Con works but lets go with Str since in chinese myths water is associated with strenght.

ASI +1 Str

Tempered constitution: Frost resistance

Aquatic: Water breathing and swim speed equal to land movement speed.

Aquatic elf weapon training: Daggers, Shortswords, Spears, Tridents, Nets.

Now for earth we can make surface dwelling elves who use mould earth to live in various terrains and since it's the most practical magic in DnD (seriously given enough time with mould earth you can build a fortress with minimal expenses within a few months).
We could just call them magic humans at this point but eh.. Lets go with mountain elves.

Mountain elves:

ASI + 1 Con

Mountain elf weapon training: Quarterstaff, Spear, Sling, Javelin, Warhammer, Halberd.

Know the mould earth cantrip.

Now what resistance or benefit could they gain?
Since earth is associated with endurance and vitality lets go with gaining one extra death save per long rest and recovering from an exhaustion level extreemley easily like 1-2 levels per shor rest (which would make berseker barbarian viable).

Cont.
>>
>>50163542
They also don't have immunity to sleep, resistance to charm and free 4 hour watch during the night
>>
>>50163541
Powerful Build wasn't a 5e racial at all when the Minotaur stats were put in UA.

Still, medium sized minotaurs are stupid.
>>
>>50163284
Precision, Goading and Maneouvering.

Precision lets you damage spike while the others make great team support.
>>
>>50163560
>Now what resistance or benefit could they gain?
>Since earth is associated with endurance and vitality lets go with gaining one extra death save per long rest and recovering from an exhaustion level extreemley easily like 1-2 levels per shor rest (which would make berseker barbarian viable).
Already gave this shit to a subrace of dwarves:

Dwarven Endurance: You ignore a level of exhaustion you’d gain otherwise. You can’t use this ability again until you complete a long rest.
>>
>>50162969
Should every class get a storm subclass?
>>
>>50163631
Praise Qazlal
>>
Any tips on how to bard properly? This is my first time playing a caster, usually a barbarian or rogue.

It seems like I just buff teammates and debuff enemies. How often should I actually swing my longsword around?
>>
>>50163564
What if we have them water sensitivity?
>>
>>50163434
Dave Davison.
>>
One of my players rolled up a druid after their ranger died and now the monk is feeling useless next to the party bear. Suggestions? Monk still wants to punch things.
>>
>>50163641
>It seems like I just buff teammates and debuff enemies. How often should I actually swing my longsword around?

If you're going lore bard, then you should be blasting cantrips at an enemy really. If you're going valor bard then you'll probably be swinging more often than casting but should have a way to cast spells safely.

>>50163677

What level are they? If the monk wants to feel fucking awesome, they should go shadow monk at level 3, and then stunning stike the shit out of enemies at level 5. Seriously, a single failed stunning strike save basically ends an encounter no matter the enemy's CR.
>>
File: Junkenstein.jpg (83KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
Junkenstein.jpg
83KB, 1200x750px
>You roll up combo character Tempest Cleric and Storm Barbarian with your friend
>>
>>50163560
We already have wood elves and they make a decent fit.

Adaptable and tricky.

I'd add whips to their weapons and maybe a poison resistance.

Another option is thundering/lightning damage reist since wind and lightning are atributed to wood in the chinese 5 elements.

And we are left with METAL and Int.
Quite fitting to the High elves and their work as artisans and civilisation builders.

Now we can incorporate metal this way:

Weapon proficiency: Martial weapons or just Shortsword, Rapier, Longsword, Greatsword, Battleaxe and Crossbows

Armour proficiency: Medium armour

One wizard cantrip of your choice or one tool proficiency of your choice.

This is already enough to make them the default Dex fighter so let's leave it at that.
(they are basically Dex dwarves with faboulous hair instead of shaggy beards)
>>
>>50163677
Druids are pretty strong, monks are mildly underwhelming. Try throwing in more ranged enemies so he can deflect arrows, maybe throw him a quarterstaff +1.
>>
>>50163631
Probably. You can already have a pretty nice thunder based team with a Tempest Cleric, Storm Barbarian, and Storm Sorcerer.
>>
>>50163721
Thank you for your take, it's really interesting and I'll incorporate it somehow. Also, I like how the weapon sets match with mine.

Also also, in the setting, High/Metal elves are essentially elven assyrians... which is pretty metal if you ask me. And yes, their hair shines
>>
>>50163406
For example, have it able to transform into a suit of full plate upon command. After they fail like... 10 times or something give them resistance to piercing and slashing damage but vulnerablity to bludgeoning due to most of their body being made of stone. At this point also disadvantage on Dexterity based checks as well as athletics checks made to climb or swim. Stuff like that.

Balance the negatives and positives to keeping this thing on their wrist so that they keep pushing their luck.
>>
>>50163677
Throw in some sort of cloth monk robe magic item that can give him some nice bonus
>>
>>50163631
I for one want a storm monk and not the shitty Wot4E monk.
They could have made an elemental archetype in lieou of sorcerrers for monks but no they had to mash it all together into one shit archetype.

Oh and by the way Storm sorcerrer sucks.
Not even a Thundering damage bonus and the only thing it gets to do is jump arround and fan some wind your way, AND they get flight the latest of all sorcerrer archetypes.

A Wis based storm rogue would be neat but we already have a pirate archetype so maybe a supernatural thief based around using lightning for movement.

A storm based fighter could work as some Wis based archetype that infuses his weapons with magic similar to paladin but different in that it isn't extreemley restricted RP-wise.

A storm druid would be based around mythological beasts like the Roc or the Thunderbeast which conviniently shares the property of shapeshifting into animals.
Maybe have them gain lightning damage, extra speed and lightning/thundering resistance in animal form.

Storm ranger...well i'm out of ideas.
>>
>>50163120
Make the bracelet slowly grow in size adding to the characters AC every few days. Catch being that the helmet it gives you doesn't open once your head is encased dooming you to a slow death by starvation/dehydration. To fuck em over make the bracelet not retract till a week or so has passed so they can't use low level resurrection spells to have super armour
>>
>>50163677
Play past level 8.
>>
>>50162969
Storm Barbarian is more flavorful, but Tempest Cleric is more metal.
>>
>>50163721
BTW, can't help but notice that you give subraces a bit more traits than there's in the PHB and you didn't include Trance in common elf traits. Was that on purpose?
>>
>>50163720
Themed parties are the best
>tfw your first group went full fey with feyladin, feylock, bard and totem barb
>>
>>50163871
>Monks
>Having worthwhile class features after level 8
>>
>>50163641
Bards are badasses. Google up a 5e bard guide, they'll give you more and better organised information than you'll get here.
>>
File: 1474997643989.png (1MB, 2000x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1474997643989.png
1MB, 2000x2500px
>The remainder of a party of adventurers adopt a small girl
>Either the daughter of another party member who died, or found as a slave or orphaned by bad dudes
>Paladin insists on taking her in, wants to train her to be another of the faithful, but as time goes on finds that while strength and fighting can be trained she really doesn't have the force of will or charisma for crusading
>Reluctantly and for her own good he enlists the help of his old companion rogue and wizard
>They work to teach her how to use speed, cunning, and spells to survive, under the paladin's supervision
>Eventually she goes off on her own to explore the world on her own terms, with the guile of a rogue, wit of a wizard and ideals of a paladin
Does this seem reasonable to explain an unsociable and pragmatic Arcane Trickster with a strong moral code?
>>
>>50163677
Throw the monk some clothes or jewelry that gives him nice boosts.

A bracer that grants him +1 AC and allows him to disarm opponents as a bonus action on a failed Str save contesting his Ki save, has 1d6 charges which are regained each time he meditates.

A set of tigre striped pants which give his kicks +1 to attack and damage rolls while reducing the cost of the ''Step in the wind'' feature to zero.

Or a belt inscribed with runes that depict boxing stances that gives him a +Wis bonus to his Attack rolls as well as reroll the lowest damage die once per turn while punching meaning he will hit all the time and be encouraged to use stunning strike and unarmed strikes.

These are just general ideas for items that stay usefull even at high levels.
>>
>>50163937
sure
>>
>>50163875
My idea is for them:

One ASI themed around the race/element

Weapons suitable to their enviroment/temper

One or two enviromental adaptations (wood elves and sea elves both get movement and natural ability to fit into their enviroment but they don't get any magic to compensate for that)

One resistance/Equivalent to a resistance

One Magic/Tool support.

And finaly Trance is removed so they rest for 8Hours like other humanoids.

I build my dwarves as STR version of elves , basically +2 to Str and +1Hp per Character level , 1 tool proficiency and the other features come from Subraces, also they are considered small.

Humans are the race with +2 to con and one skill then you pick subrace : Tundra, Plains, Hill, Sea, Dessert or Woodland.

Giants are the +2 Wis race with subraces and are large.

Bestmen (Humans with spirit-anmals whose features they retain like claws on finger tips, horns or feathers as hair or ears shaped as said animal) as the +2 Cha race, based around being descendants of spirits similar to elves being descendants of fey.

A celestial race based around angels and titans and shit as the +2 Int race.

Orc/Goblinoids and other monstrous races are straight up monsters and mostly non-intelignet lesser demons.
>>
>>50163894
Just let them get Extra attack 2 arround level 11.
That extra 1d8+5 brings them on pair with suboptimal fighter who don't use GWM/Sharpshooter.

Also give them a fighting style at lvl 2 or something.
Use things like the Spear-master feat from the Feats UA or the Mariner fighting style for that one.
>>
>>50164228
I had the idea to let them add Wisdom to damage at that level in games where magic items and feats were expected. That extra 4 or 5 per swing would add up nicely,
>>
File: VOLATILE FINAL FANCY-ISH.png (5MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
VOLATILE FINAL FANCY-ISH.png
5MB, 1736x2456px
I think it's finally done...
But, just to be sure, here you guys go.
Tell me if anything is off.
>>
>>50164258
Well um that turns this at lvl 10:

3d8+15

To:

3d8+30

That's a 15 point increase FLAT and monks hit mostly all the time.

Rather than that just giving them Extra attack 2, an extra ASI at lvl 6 and 1 extra Hp per Monk level would suffice.
>>
>>50163874

I like the barbarian but I'd like something that does a little more than get mad and swing with a few extra ribbons. Spellcasting is one way to do that, at least.
>>
>>50164375
One summons others, with 127 hp?
Seems way too tanky for actual play, imo
Any party without Hold Person spam will get stomped
>>
>>50164425
Just refluff the Sun soul monk with Lightning damage/Thundering damage.
>>
>>50164387
You won't have 20 Dex and Wis at level 10. At best, it'd be a 9 point increase, which is pretty close to just getting another attack for 1d8+5.
>>
How do I quit a group without looking like a cunt?

I'm >>>50156775

If linking to the old post doesn't work, I'm the person from two threads back who got fucked by a stupid DM who said that the spell Shield blocks my two nat 20 rolls even though it very obviously doesn't.

I don't really want to play with this DM anymore, but I don't know how to quit without looking like a cunt. I'd be quitting over one instance, causing unnecessary drama, plus my friends were the ones who invited me, not the DM. Also, another friend of mine has gone out of his way multiple times to make sure I'd be able to play, i.e giving me a ride to sessions and stuff like that.

tl;dr hate our DM now, don't know how to quit without looking like a cock.
>>
>>50163937
I like it.
>>
>>50164496
Fair point and considering they need Con too as a 1d8 Hp class it keeps them balanced.
>>
>>50156775
>>50164499
If +5 AC on a wizardly character is enough to give AC to block nat 20s, either your modifier sucks or that's some ridiculous plot armour right there.

Obviously, he's completely fucking wrong. Shield simply cannot block natural 20s.

Your best option is to suddenly get busy somehow.
>>
>>50164525
Well, my other thought to help solve the durabilty issues was to let them get temporary hitpoints equal to half their remaining Ki whenever they spend a Ki point.

So, at level 10, if they Flurry, they'll get 4 temp hitpoints from it. Sort of an extra pool they can use to help cushion blows.
>>
>>50164499
>tl;dr hate our DM now, don't know how to quit without looking like a cock.

Just lie about having another engagement/obligation that fucks with your scheldue and find a part time job for a while if you want to make it believable.
Sometimes good stuff comes out of excuses.
I once dumped cram school by attending a math competition, wrote the test in like 15 minutes and left for a beer with my buddies.
Turned out i got first place on national level and got me a nice scolarship that made sure i could enter any STEM field i wanted.
>>
>>50163937

I made something like that years ago. The problem is when the party need a malicious burglar with fast hands to do a dirty job.

Your char can become useless for the party needs.
>>
>>50164488
Even a tiny bit of radiant damage or a source of sunlight goes a long way, anon.

And, they're supposed to be tanky. That's how they are in the game - fast, hard-hitting, and stupidly durable.

They're not something you want to take head-on like a meathead. They require tactics and planning. And, most preferably, avoidance.

The howl gives a lot of tension to it, because if you don't do something to prevent it, the situation quickly turns into something much more dangerous. But, y'know, it's not actually guaranteed that it'll summon more of them with a howl, because they might roll a 1. And 1-1=0.
>>
>>50164499
You could try politely messaging the DM before your next meeting to clear it up, and say that you just wanted to make sure you understood the relevant rule or any houserules the table might be using.
If they're consistently stubborn or other reasons make you really not want to play, just say that it isn't the style of game you were looking for, or you're having difficulty finding the time.
>>
>>50164549
Modifiers don't narrow into it at all with crits, but if they did I'd have had 30 for each roll instead of 20. The reason they were just 20's is because you don't add modifiers to nat 20's, they just auto hit.

Are DM's allowed to do that in 5e? Just completely ignore the rules? I was under the impression that they had to operate by the same rules we did unless it was a homebrew game or module. All this DM is doing is badly parroting what the Horde of the Dragon Queen book says.
>>
>people are still trying to make SAD 5e characters
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
>>
>>50164499
Maybe let your friends know you don't like playing with that DM? If she is as problematic as it sounds, I'm sure the others have had similar feelings.
>>
>>50164601
>you don't add modifiers to nat 20s

So because of this, your attack was less likely to hit than if you rolled a nat 19?
What.

Modifiers don't normally apply, although technically RAW rather than RAI is that 19 crits don't auto-hit.
Modifiers may apply if something changes the 20 or something.

If they're going to houserule it, making it so that your 20s don't add anything it just retarded, though.

DMs really shouldn't mess with the core rules as they see fit, because it gives the impression of the DM just cheating to make things go their way, while leaving everybody confused.
>>
>>50164624
SAD?
>>
>>50164701

Single ability (score) dependent, compared to MAD (multiple ability dependent)
>>
>>50164601
Some DMs just won't accept that they got a rule wrong. Usually the same ones that go on unnecessary power fantasies, or are just dragging you along to hear their story. I had a DM who was essentially playing out her Torchwood fanfic, and had a random raggedy peasant cast suggestion on the Barbarian who didn't want to listen to Jack's sermon. He got a 17 and failed the save.
>>
>>50164715

Some pure classes works fine.
>>
>>50164624
No class in the game is entirely SAD since all need constitution for health and every stat for various saves and skills.
However, some classes or archetypes are fine for leaning on just one primary stat for basic attacks, special attacks like spells, and save calculation. Battlemaster, Circle of the Moon, and Thief come to mind.
>>
How should I do Eladrin racials in my campaign?
>>
>>50165030

Eladrin is in DMG, i suppose.
>>
What are some spells / tactics enemies would employ when trying to take down a Caravel sized ship that has Submerge Ship cast on it? (Air bubble extends over the top deck and masts).

I'm thinking a savage merfolk scout party, with some shapeshifters (weresharks).
>>
>>50165052
This. Page 286.
>>
>>50164727
I think the thing that bugs me about it most is that it's incredibly unlikely to roll two crits in a row and the first time I do it, I'm told it doesn't count even though by all rights, it should.

I try to keep an open mind about certain things, and this is my first female DM'd game, but she is not painting a pretty picture for other female DM's.
>>
>>50165097
Anon, people are generally shit regardless of whether they have (or want) whatever in their pants. People are just willing to put up with shit GMs because they're desperate to play. If it isn't worth staying, move on and look for others, and don't write off chances.
>>
>>50165030
I personally make them a +Cha race but keep DMG traits otherwise. The bookish nerd isn't what I think of when I think of a people with a natural talent for it.
>>
>>50165052
>>50165216

Oh thanks it's been awhile since I've looked mine over must have missed them.
>>
>>50165151
I don't need a white knight okay?
>>
>>50165097
Female DMs are only bad as often as male DMs. Which is to say, a fair amount of the time.

After playing with a few, though, you start to notice that bad DMs seem to be bad in specific ways based on gender. Male bad DMs want to kill you more.
>>
File: ig.jpg (67KB, 710x408px) Image search: [Google]
ig.jpg
67KB, 710x408px
Do the lizardfolk and barbarian/monk unarmored defenses stack?

Could I have unarmored defense be 13+dex+con/wis or does it still have to be 10+dex+con/wis
>>
>>50165342

No. AC bonuses (from different sources) stack - AC calculations such as natural armor and unarmored defense do not.
>>
>>50165278
I mean, if you want a black cock, I can try.
Stop complaining about your shit DM, grow a pair and point right to the book's ruling and shove it in her face, take a dump in her kitchen and slam the door on the way out so you can DM a real game yourself, fag.
>>
>>50165359
So by calculations you mean I just lose the +dex+con/wis, right?

I wouldn't still be getting the base 13 AC Natural armor would give me if I decided to use unarmored defense instead?
>>
What do you think about the magic initiate feat?

A life cleric with goodberry or a fighter/barbarian with guidance and shield of faith/ Hex and eldritch blast. It seems like a good way to get some decent buffs without multiclassing or going eldritch knight.
>>
>>50165438
You can have any number of different ways to calculate AC.
Let's say you're a Lizardman with levels in dragon sorcerer, monk, and druid.
So, you COULD calculate your AC by taking your racial or dragon sorcerer 13 + Dex. OR you could calculate it as 10 + Dex + Wis as Monk allows you to do. OR you could cast barkskin and calculate it as just 16. These can never stack, they are calculations.
However, certain abilities will give a bonus or add to your AC. Magic items like a Cloak of Protection add 1 to your AC, no matter the form of calculation. The Shield of Faith spell gives you 2 as long as it is active. The Shield spell will give you a whopping bonus of 5, on top of anything- unarmored defense, dragon scales, plate armor, etc. Not to be confused with an equipped shield, which adds 2 AC, but disables Monk's Unarmored Defense (though not Barbarian's) and does not stack with Barkskin (which sets your AC to 16 if other calculations are lower)

Finally, if you get the feature Unarmored Defense from two different sources (read: multiclass Monk and Barbarian) you keep whichever was the first you got, as per the multiclass section rules.
>>
>>50165441
Barbarians can't use shield of faith or guidance while raging.
If I were a barbarian I'd rather focus on core stats, even if it's less fun.

Life cleric probably doesn't synergize with goodberry for the same reasons stuff like 'you get +damage when you cast a spell' won't work on a repeating over-time effect. Goodberry doesn't activate when you cast the spell.

At the cost of an entire ASI, fighter probably has the best use for it.
>>
>>50163124
The Plane of Fire has more lava than the Plane of Earth, bro.
also it's magma if it's underground, both of you
>>
File: inner-planes-map.jpg (58KB, 651x855px) Image search: [Google]
inner-planes-map.jpg
58KB, 651x855px
>>50165550
Porque no los dos
>>
>>50165543
Life Cleric Greatberries has been confirmed by Sage Advice. Even though the healing isn't a direct result of casting the spell, a spell you cast is still healing something, just like Aura of Vitality might over time.
>>
>>50165520
alright, thanks for clearing all this up for me, sorry about the stupid questions
>>
With all these new (pokemón related) races, which one is the best to do a solid healer cleric, huge WIS and a shine full plate?
>>
>>50165626
Firbolg
>>
>>50165613
They both have them. Inclusions of all elements can be found in each plane, even those which are opposites of each other; their frequency and size varies based on proximity to the other planes and their borders, despite each being infinite and sometimes non-coterminous.

But magma and lava, despite being physically made up of rock, is considered a fiery trait in D&D, not an earthy one. If you need the in-universe fluff, there's simply more fire there than rock, hence why it's fucking melted.
>>
>>50165616
Odd.
I suppose the life cleric ability doesn't give enough information to tell either way.

Doesn't sound too powerful, outside of only taking a single level in druid or cleric, though those classes both use wisdom.

Let's see..
10 berries, 10 HP each.
10 improved berries, 40 HP total, but probably only 13 HP if you eat them all at once.
Not sure it's suggested if you can force someone to eat one, but you probably can like with potions.

Still, it's out-of-combat healing and there are a few ways to get out of combat healing easily anyway. Great early game, though.
>>
>>50165613
What's Earth and Positive? It's the only one not labeled there.
>>
>>50165722
Mineral / Gem.
>>
>>50165696

Just it? I don't like Tumblr noses.
>>
>>50165706
The spell specifically says you can use one action to eat one berry, healing 1 hp (4hp with the life cleric thing). If you eat them outside of combat, you can just eat all ten individually for 40 total hp.
There is no scenario where you can eat 10 "all at once"
>>
>>50164578
It feels like you're just making excuses.
>>
>>50165706
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/11/discipline-of-goodberry/
Relevant sage advice
>>
>>50165520
Then isn't the Lizardfolk's racial AC boost shit? You'd think something like that would stack with Monk/Barbarian at least.

It feels like the savage, beefy races are better casters than martials.
>>
>>50165613
>Plane of Salt
What happens there?
>>
>>50165826
Elections
>>
>>50165826
Everything corrodes and decays and crumbles and dies. There's a bunch of Planescape guys that hang out there in a tower that's always falling apart. It was either Bleakers or Duskwhatevers.
>>
>>50165811
It is +1 ac on Studded leather, the best light armor, requires no proficiency, can't be taken off and can still benefit from magic armor bonuses.

It is pretty cool.
>>
>>50165811
It's 13 + dex, better than studded leather, and you are technically unarmored for the purpose of monk skills (though it doesn't matter because you're likely to just use monk's unarmored defense once your wis reaches 18 at lvl 12)
>>
>>50165775
Maybe I'm thinking of a different edition for eating them all at once.

I suppose it's just a cheaper, faster way of doing stuff like prayer of healing. Might be sutable for someone intent on playing a clerical druidic type.
>>
>>50165811
If a Dragon Sorcerer's physically scaled skin gives it AC and that doesn't stack with Barb or Monk, I don't see how the Lizardman's would.
>>
>>50165751
you asked for the best
there's only one best
>>
>>50165826

A old woman licks an ice cream and turns into a meme.
>>
>>50165850
Does it happens like in all negative planes, or plane of salt is special in this regard?
>>
>>50165871
It is extremely efficient for out of combat healing and decent for getting people back on their feet.

And you can apparently bake them into a pie and eat that instead to eat them all at once. (if your DM allows you to eat a pie in in 6 seconds) http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/25/what-happens-when-i-bake-and-eat-a-goodberry-pie/
>>
>>50165826
Electricity and halite mines.

Many black people are forced to work long hours digging up blocks of halite.
>>
>>50165811
It's great for anyone who doesn't already have medium armor, and even then it's still nice to have as an option.

A Lizardfolk Rogue will have 2 AC up compared to others of the same class, for example.

Plus, due to the way that it's worded, you can technically wear magical armor and still get the benefit, so if you find some Leather armor that offers Fire resistance, you can get that without losing AC.
>>
>>50165613
I'm going to use "Plane of Salt" as an insult in the future.
>>
>>50165912
All the negative quasi planes do this due to the influence of negative energy. We're talking on long time scales, though. Salt is slightly worse simply because salt itself is more corrosive and destructive than ash, dust, and nothing (vacuum). It's probably the least hospitable of the four, maybe equal to ash, which is just progressively colder.

But the planes are infinite and even if you're on the Plane of Salt, if you're right by the border to Water, it's still almost entirely drinkable ocean where you're OK. It's a game of degrees and proximity to infinitely distant planar borders.
>>
File: 1379228367366.gif (2MB, 368x207px) Image search: [Google]
1379228367366.gif
2MB, 368x207px
>>50162699
One of my player's characters is being ported to 5e for a sequel campaign (since he's the only one who survived.) In our first game, they were a 4e Warlord with spear+shield. In the second game, he was a PF Barbarian with a greataxe since the Warlord didn't exist. Now since it's 5e he wants to combine both styles to represent his character's development over the years.

To do this, he's requesting some way to dual wield a spear and a greataxe. What's a good way to balance this? I'm thinking a homebrew feat like Titan/Monkey Grip or a Greataxe with a smaller damage die. Maybe just use a battleaxe with the heavy property? I'm not sure how to go about it but I want to accommodate such a veteran character.
>>
It is also good because you can use it with a shield, which monk normally can not. Lizard + shield gives the same AC as unarmored defense with 20 wiz, so probably 2-3 more AC until you start sending ASI on wisdom.
You can also switch up the damage from your unarmed strikes using your bite.

Now I want to play a dual shield wielding lizard that runs around and bites people.
>>
>>50165852
>>50165854
>>50165872
>>50165937
I guess I just don't think about early game very much, and most DMs I see are pretty lenient with handing out basic magic armor/weapons, so getting Studded Leather +2 isn't usually difficult. A feature that becomes null by a DM handing you a magic item is kinda' not a great feature IMO.
>>
>>50165923
Prayer of healing would heal 9(2d8)+3(16/17wis)+4(life cleric bonus) to up to six creatures for a level 2 spell slot.

If you heal at least three creatures with prayer of healing, prayer of healing works better.

You can upcast prayer of healing and at level 17 you restore 16(2d8 max)+5(20 wis)+4 for 25 per creature, gauranteed.

Goodberry is a level 1 spell slot, heals 40 HP with the bonus and can be distributed as needed, and perhaps your DM might allow you to use it to get people standing again. Also nourishment.

Other ways of healing...
If you're AL or something, you can just stock hoards of healing potions, I believe, due to having way too much money.
A cleric-warlock can heal every short rest, although they're limited by warlock spell slots. 4.5+3+3 to 5 or so, so we'd say maybe 24 of healing from cure light wounds an hour.

Bard gives everyone 3.5 health every hour as part of a short rest, increasing by one at some levels.

Then there's simply hitdice.

Certainly, goodberry is better than all the main competitors in efficiency. However, if you play late into the game with high levels it'll probably be a bit of a wasted magic initiate since you won't gain any incredibly useful cantrips and you'll have better options / enough spellslots to heal with anyway, probably.
>>
>>50166029
Just do a spear and a battleaxe.
>>
File: urgrosh.jpg (10KB, 156x415px) Image search: [Google]
urgrosh.jpg
10KB, 156x415px
>>50166029
You're looking for an urgrosh. It's a Dwarven weapon; battle axe on one end, spear on the other.
Use halberd stats. d10, reach, heavy, two-handed. His choice of piercing or slashing damage. If he takes Polearm Master, the bludgeoning damage is instead piercing.
>>
>>50166045
>implying

If you wear +1 studded leather, you gain no benefit
If you wear +1 not-studded leather, you gain +1 AC on top of your natural armour.
If you wear +2 leather, you gain +1 AC over natural armour.
If you wear +3 leather, you gain +2 AC over natural armour.
If you wear +2 skin, you gain +2 AC over natural armour.

Welcome to 5e.
>>
>>50166045
I also don't think it really goes against my point. Lizardfolk are big and savage. You'd expect them to use a longsword/axe and shield, but apparently to get the most out of their features, you have to build DEX. Seems kinda' lame.
>>
>>50166029
If they're a veteran character, it'll be a higher level game, no?
Give people extra starting powers or magic items, his can be a greataxe that can be one-handed, maybe even only by him so it can better represent his power.
The RAW answer is Dual Wielder feat with a spear and warhammer. Or he can just hold them and use them without twin weapon fighting.
>>
>>50166064
Eh, if you take Goodberry for healing you can pick up Shillelagh for Melee usage and Produce flame for a decent attack and utility cantrip.
>>
>>50166085
>>50166045
Sorry, I fucked up.
+2 leather gives you no benefit.
+3 leather gives you +1 AC.

Yes, +2 skin is better than +3 leather.

Skin is assumed to be AC 10+Dex.
>>
>>50166109
I know basic math. It's why I said Studded +2. That's the earliest armor you'd get that surpasses your natural armor.
>>
>>50166088
>Big and savage
>Therefore, they should wear heavy armor carefully wrought by blacksmiths
Mate, that feature ALLOWS THEM to not wear armor while using a longsword/axe and shield and not be miles behind on AC. It's better than a chainmail shirt.
>>
>>50166080
That's just a god dang poleaxe, son
And technically speaking it should do slashing, bludgeoning, or piercing depending on how its used. It has a hammer backside, an axehead, and a spearpoint.
>>
>>50166080
>>50166029
You can always just give him the Polearm Master feat for free if he's going to be using what is technically a two-handed weapon instead of dual-wielding. I'd say it's actually more optimal, since dual-wielding sucks, reach is cool, and you can take a hand off your two-handed weapon to manipulate objects while you can't when dual-wielding.
>>
>>50166140
+1 leather gives you +1 AC.
+2 leather gives you +0 AC.
+3 leather gives you +1 AC.

Do you think that's basic mathematics?
>>
>>50166150
There's a lot of weapons that should do multiple damage types but don't, polearms chief among them. I don't know why anyone would use a battleaxe when a battlehatchet is cooler and more useful, but that's just me. I suppose you could always say the counterweight is just another axe instead of a big flat thing. THREE damage types is a bit excessive, especially since bludgeoning is the good one.
>>
>>50166184
Excessive, not at all.
They're made that way BECAUSE they wanted versatility in the weapon. You want something that can do it all.
Give it a d8 for damage because of balancing, perhaps.
>>
>>50166146
Big and savage meaning they should use Strength-based weapons, which typically go hand-in-hand with heavy armor, but you're right, they shouldn't wear heavy armor. But now you're forced to level DEX. 13 natural armor allows you to match heavy armor only in the early game with max DEX, when you should be maxing STR for your weapons.

>>50166162
I don't know how you got those numbers or why you're bothering to repeat them over and over again. Your natural armor is equal to Studded Leather +1 (or Leather +2), so beyond that (Studded Leather +2, which you're more likely to find than Leather +3) is all that really matters in the discussion.
>>
>>50166236
Here's how natural armour works by RAW:
1. If you are not wearing armour, you can use 13+dex to decide your AC.
2. If you are wearing armour, but your armour ultimately causes you to have an AC that is less than natural armour's AC, you may use natural armour for 13+dex.

For 2., the exact wording is '.. if the armour you wear would leave you with a lower AC'. Presumably that doesn't include shields as shields are mentioned seperately, but that suggests that all armour-based calculations (extra AC for fighting style, any AC gained by armour) is included, because the armour 'leaves you with' that AC as a result of you wearing the armour.

The bonus to AC from fighting styles and from magical armour is simply a bonus to AC, however, and not a bonus to the armour's natural AC (Say, 12+dex). As such, you should gain the benefits of it even if you're not using that armour's AC to calculate your AC.
>>
>>50166221
Resistance and vulnerability doesn't come up nearly often enough to justify losing those die. I think a halberd with two damage types is A-OK, but bludgeoning's pushing it. Besides, the canon urgrosh doesn't do bludgeoning anyway.

To an extent, this makes sense, since the broad hammerheads we see in fantasy art are shit compared to rounder, smaller striking surfaces; if the urgrosh had been intended to bash with its counterweight, it'd have a far different shape.
>>
>>50166261
(Continuing, since I thought I'd mention this)
Also it's unlikely to include other buffs that aren't gained due to wearing armour such as shield of faith, because although the armour ultimately leaves you with an AC of, say, 16 with shield of faith, the armour itself is not required for that effect and you could also just say 'natural armour is 15+dex with shield of faith'
But, you cannot say 'natural armour is 14+dex with the +1 AC fighting style' because the fighting style doesn't apply to natural armour.
>>
>>50166266
You have a real hardon for bludgeoning, dont'cha?
Just give the fools all three.
Not like it's gonna matter when the enemy has resistance to nonmagical damage :^)
>>
>>50166261
I really don't think that's how it's intended to work. If you have Studded Leather +1, your AC should be 13+DEX, not 14+DEX.
>>
>>50166294
It's the best physical damage type.
>>
>>50166324
Whats so good about it?
Only skeletons come to mind.
>>
>>50166064
>>50166102
or guidance
>>
>>50166321
Well, that's how it is by RAW.

It's probably heavily up to the DM, since magic items are pretty much up to the DM too. I'm not sure if there's any sage advice on it as to the RAI.
>>
>>50166321
Studded Leather +1 is 13+dex anyways.
What he argues is that if you have a +1 Leather armor (12+dex) You can chose the AC calculation from lizard (13+dex) and then get the +1 from the armor, resulting in 14+dex.
So for leather armor it turns into
+1 = 14+dex
+2 = 13+dex
+3 = 14+dex

It is justifiable by RAW, but it is kind of silly so I think most DMs would just laugh at you.
>>
>>50166354
>>50166102
Produce flame might be useful if enemies have a good dex save, but sacred flame is already pretty good with a rarely resisted damage type and working off of saves rather than against AC.

Clerics already get guidance if they want it.

Shillelagh is admittably pretty damn good since normally only nature cleric will get that, though it's not super important. Still very good if you end up in melee a lot. I suppose shillelagh could just about justify it, though you'd then be best off focusing increasing wisdom with your next ASIs instead of other things.

Booming blade/ green flame blade is probably the most useful for a cleric that sometimes uses melee, though.
>>
>>50166006
I'm pretty sure the tiefling nihilist bard in BG2 is from one of the negative inner plane factions

Also void (neg air) had some interesting thing where mahinery would just slowly die the longer you were there.
>>
>read up on DMs being absolute shite on here and other sites
>they're controlling retards who admit no wrongdoing and brook no protests or calm and reasonable discourse
>forments intergroup conflict
>players suffer because of this
>they give other DMs a bad name rep

To these fuckers, git gud or get the fuck out and leave DMing to people who actually can do so, you absolute shits.

Just fuck off.
>>
>>50166391
I thank you for joining the discussion, but that is what I said in my post. 14+DEX was the 13 from natural armor plus the 1 from the armor's magical quality.

It seems silly to me. I suppose it isn't that crazy, though. But it does nothing to refute my point that now you're trying to max both STR and DEX.
>>
>>50164375
Is this meant to be used in a modern-world game?
>>
>>50166350
The vast majority of creatures with physical resistances have them apply to all three, and often only if they're non-magical or not silvered.

There's a few bony, oozy, and planty things that have piercing resistance, xorns have pierce and slash resist. Only awakened trees and treants have bludgeoning (and piercing) resist, lacking slashing. When is the party going to be fighting mean trees? Just burn them, everyone has torches.

Meanwhile, skeletons of all sorts and some ice creatures have bludgeoning vulnerability, while no creature has piercing or slashing vuln--with the exception of rakshasas, who have a vuln to piercing wielded by Good-aligned creatures. And are you more liable to fight skeletons or rakshasa?

Plus, dick-ass DMs will make you break your bladed or pointed weapon when trying to bash and break shit, but they'll let your hammer do it just fine. The only downside to bludgeoning weapons is they're shit at cutting ropes, but they make up for that by being better at severing chains.
>>
Anyone here with the Roll20 version of VGM willing to rip the maps?
>>
>>50166461
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>50166461
*foment
>>
>>50166873
Watch this series. Not all at once obviously. This guy is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-YZvLUXcR8

Come back to us when you have questions. If there's one good thing about /5eg/ it's that we love to answer questions.

Make them watch the Critical Role Vin Diesel vid (it's like 30 mins) for a great, accessible intro to what the game looks like.
>>
I'll roll an Yuan-ti pureblood Cleric (Life) and take Heavy Armor Master at 4th level. This is the character with the most survivability I could think of. Thoughts?
>>
To the guy who deleted his post, 5e has one of the simplest and most streamlined char creators ever, it's really easy to get into.
And you can DM, sure. Whatever your players want to do, agree to within reason.
Remember you guys are telling a collaborative story and are having fun together.

Be sure to check out Dice, Camera, Action as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ZbgywIF6Y&list=PLfS8QgUdeGYo8F3RPUQ2Wsi2mZLPcaU6X
>>
>>50162699
>What's your favorite podcast or other DnD related content?

The adventure zone. Not even close.
>>
>>50164375
>>50165793
>>50164578
>>50164488
Well, I'm not one for zombies but I think it works out.

The clerics are going to just be laughing while everybody else resorts to being second-fiddle, but it shouldn't be too tricky.

The only real way to stop the howl is using some sort of silence spell or by taking a surprise round and stopping it then (surprise rounds can be pretty hard to get, but it does only have 10 passive perception, so it works,but shouldn't passive perception be 13 due to 10+perception?).

I'd say it's all good. The auto prone and grapple looked kind of silly at first, but I think it works well for what you're trying to do. I'd probably make it so a 20ft run up to pounce to eliminate all possibility of them walking away and then attacking again for free pounces.
The automatic grapple without save is kinda annoying but hey, it's only a grapple and you save against prone. Grappled condition isn't so bad unless you need movement for something like standing up.

At CR 9 I think the other anon is wrong in saying it's too much. Their vulnerability is a bit over the top though, since they not only get blinded but also take double damage from radiant. Still, It's probably fine.

A group could handle maybe two of them easily even at low levels if they act tactically, I'm thinking like fighting them as they try to scale a building up to the party.

Personally I'd make it not resistant to non-magical slashing, though.
>>
>>50166943
>And you can DM, sure. Whatever your players want to do, agree to within reason.
>Remember you guys are telling a collaborative story and are having fun together.

This is basically all it takes. It's so easy to DM. I have no idea why DMs like to push back against players so often.
>>
>>50166873
It's a good idea to start with one-shots or the 'Lost Mine of Phandelver'.

The DM WILL get a lot of rules wrong, but it'll be okay, and not as bad in terms of getting things wrong as say pathfinder.
>>
File: Spellsword 10.jpg (2MB, 2000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
Spellsword 10.jpg
2MB, 2000x2400px
>>50162699
Hey /tg/, I'm trying to think up a few basic magic items that might fit my party and I'm at a bit of a loss. They're only level 4, soon to be level 5, and I feel like throwing a couple of +1 weapons there way is boring and lacks any kind of personality, but I'm at a loss as to what I might give a Bard or a Cleric of that low level, and deciding what to give the Ranger is only marginally easier. Outside of the DM's handbook does anyone have any resources they use to help with ideas for magic items (or simply lists of fan made magic items themselves), or perhaps any suggestions for a Light Cleric and a Lore Bard? Or is this something I just need to think about myself and decide based on specific details about the world and the characters involved?
>>
>>50167113
Give them a name, describe them in detail, and assign it a backstory. It'll just be a +1 but then it's an interesting item.
>>
>>50167113
Adding in extra setting detail surrounding it will feel much more special. If you want to add a little something to it, you can also potentially give it a small extra effect, like the Cleric could get a +1 Mace that glows in the presence of undead.
>>
My buddy wants me to join his CoS campaign, but it's like halfway through. The PCs are level 5.

I've wanted to play CoS for awhile now but I kinda don't want to spoil my experience with it by joining a game that's halfway finished.

To anyone who has played it - is it worth it for me to jump in at the halfway mark? Or should I just wait until I could play it from the start.

Not desperate for a campaign or anything, already in two others.
>>
>>50166943
>>50166894
>>50167010
>>50167095
Thank you for the responses, I deleted to reword it, however you guys were way too quick for me to repost.
I should've realized there were 'prebuilts' sooner, oh man.
>>
>>50167113
For a bard you could look into a magical instrument. There's tons of potential for magic there. What kind of instrument does your player seem to like? Then give it an interesting effect. Maybe, "<instrument> of the Raven: this instrument can perform a raven's mimicry feature"

A light cleric, I'm a bit at a loss without knowing their deity. But finding something to connect to their deity or otherwise might be cool to them.
>>
>>50167182
>in two others and don't want to spoil the campaign
what are you even gaining from joining another game? what do you do?
>>
Trying to come up with a character voice for my Tabaxi.

How do you imagine a tabaxi to sound? I know they're supposed to live in a tropical climate ? Do I speak like a Bohemian?
>>
>>50167272
Speak like Khajiits.
>>
>>50167272
Sylvester the Cat
>>
>>50167113
Give them a flute of invisibility.
While someone skilled with it is playing, he is invisible. Still makes the sound, though
>>
>>50167294
Fuck I'd totally do that if my table would let me. I feel like I'd be fun for all of 5 minutes.

>>50167281
My fall back.
>>
>>50167295
Audible still sounds fun, pinpointing an actual sound without a trained ear isn't that easy.
>>
>>50167295
No him, but I like this a lot.
>>
>>50166519
>rakshasas, who have a vuln to piercing wielded by Good-aligned creatures.
Magical piercing at that.
>>
>>50164499
Be an eldritch knight and enjoy blocking all crits
>>
>>50167272
>speak like a Bohemian
sure, here is an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo6lxFRHTkA
>>
>>50167269
>what are you even gaining from joining another game?

Playing CoS?

one of the campaigns is bi-weekly and the other is pretty much bi-weekly because the gm and a player are flakes

I'm a college student. all I do is study and go to class and the rest is free time
>>
File: Spellsword 13.jpg (119KB, 1000x1128px) Image search: [Google]
Spellsword 13.jpg
119KB, 1000x1128px
>>50167136
>>50167160
That's the plan! Magic items won't go without backstories, even if it's a simple one, and I'm definitely going to try to include a few flavourful effects (like the glowing element to the mace that you mentioned) to make them seem more than just basic +1 magic items. I think I'm just not used to what kind of power level magic items in D&D 5e have yet, since I'm newish to the system (Pathfinder corrupted my ideas of power balance as you might have guessed) and haven't quite grasped it yet. Even a simple +1 seems quite strong at lower levels, but anything less seems nigh on useless outside of cute ribbon abilities.

>>50167199
An instrument is the obvious choice, but I wasn't quite sure what abilities to give it without simply replicating spells that consist of loud noises (Thunderwave, etc, which the bard already has). Due to world reasons the Light Cleric's source of power is themselves rather than a deity, representing an innate connection to fire and sunlight, so the item does not have to be explicitly religious themed. In a sense that gives me more choices, but at the same time leaves me less to draw inspiration from.

What is the Raven's Mimicry feature, out of curiosity? I don't recall.

>>50167295
This is hilarious, and while seemingly useless, does actually have a lot of uses. I might have to implement something like that.
>>
>>50167113
Gloves of Thunder
Unarmed Strikes do 1d6 extra thunder damage

Escape Goat
It's a goat horn.
Blow on it to summon a goat for a minute. It waits until a medium or smaller creature gets on top of it, then rides away from enemies for 10 minutes. It has a speed of 300ft
>>
>>50166962
I really enjoy critical role, would I enjoy this as well?
>>
>>50167406
Magic items basically range from a +0 to a +3 in terms of effect and usefulness, and +3 is super rare artifact level.

I would argue that you could probably give the players some weapons whose main effect is just counting as magical, with some extra minor bonuses like being able to light up or deal damage of a different type.

The biggest thing you need a magic weapon for in 5e is to bypass some resistances, and it's entirely on the DM if you even need that.

+1 is quite good to have early in the game, and +2 is quite good to have late game. +3 is the sort of thing that you can't really expect to get, and should be reserved only for really important artifacts.

I think your players will appreciate the +1, though having some extra stuff surrounding it will help make it feel cooler and more meaningful.
>>
Hope y'all voted for MAGA already
>>
Read Volo's and the recent UA,

Now I want to play a Yuan-ti who, after seeing a human send the head of his local snake priest bouncing down the stairs of a ziggurat, decided that barbarianism was clearly the right way forward.
>>
>>50167406
Raven - mimicry:
The raven can mimic simple sounds it has heard, such as a person whispering, a baby crying, or an animal chittering. A creature that hears the sounds can tell they are
imitations with a successful DC 10 Wisdom (Insight) check.

You could have the bard make performance checks vs whoever is listening to the mimicry check.
>>
>>50167406
What race is the cleric?
If they don't have dark vision, perhaps the light in their own eyes can be augmented to light up the world they see. But maybe make it an at will on/off ability.

When it's on, their eyes glow, probably exposing them if they were otherwise in darkness. Or just look like two glowing cartoon eyes if you like a comedy bent.
Off, they lose their dark vision but have no glowing eyes.

If at will seems too much, make it once per day for an hour?
>>
>>50167113
The Peephole
While touching a door, you can see the other side as if looking through an actual peephole. Creatures on the other side don't see anything anormal in the door.

Ring of Mind Expansion
+1 to INT, can't cast or maintain concentration spells

Also, this was a top tier quality magic sword thread
http://desuarchive.org/tg/thread/44925451/
>>
>>50167439
I also really like critical role. While critical role does have it's funny moments, it definitely is more on the serious side.

The adventure zone is a much more goofy and lighthearted campaign. They start out a little rough learning the rules but that's part of some of the hilarity. I'd say give it a try. They start of with lost mines, but deviate into a custom adventure pretty quickly.
>>
>>50167512
>Ring of Mind Expansion
>+1 to INT, can't cast or maintain concentration spells

for what purpose
>>
>>50167512
>Ring of Mind Expansion
>+1 to INT, can't cast or maintain concentration spells

That sounds terrible. Even for a wizard.
Maybe an eldritch knight or arcane trickster could get some use out of it if they didn't have many con spells.

Otherwise you're basically asking to raise a dump stat at the cost of losing some of your most powerful spells when it comes to other casters.
>>
Glasses of Hindsight
Gives +10 to perception checks when recalling events from over a month earlier. "Oh shit, we missed some secret passages in that dungeon"
>>
>>50166997
I couldn't get the maker to list the passive perception correctly, and forgot about it in subsequent iterations. I'll see what I can do.

Pounce spam is something that should be avoided by the GM. I don't want to change it just because of the possibility of a Bad GM spamming it by making them run back and forth like retards. It goes against the intention and the fluff to do that, and shows that any DM doing it is trying to milk out mechanical benefits.

Resistances, vulnerabilities, and conditions are necessary to properly emulate he creature as it appeared in its game. They're rendered NEARLY useless by shining a UV light on them, standing in place and shielding your eyes but attacking if you get too close. They also seem pretty dang resilient against ordinary weapons, it takes a lot to kill them without things like fire or electricity on your stuff. Im curious as to your specification on slashing damage in particular.
>>
>>50167615
Shielding their eyes, sorry. Not yours.
That would be weird, right?
>>
Are there any other fun 5e series you guys know?
I only watched one for some time (Roll4it) but I got bored with it after some time, especially after the most entertaining dude there left. (It was Arumba, a guy famous in the Paradox grand strategy community, he was playing almost the first time and hardcore minmaxing as a moon druid and usually drunk half through the stream. He was not a really good player so to speak, but it was fun watching him try).
>>
>>50167615
Even if the DM avoids it, the players might be thinking 'well, what's stopping it from just doing this over and over?'
But then they might think it's a short rest or long rest thing, who knows.

I wouldn't know too much about the lore, but it's just with fleshy zombie things I usually prefer to say that slashing's probably the most effective as it rends things apart, whereas bludgeoning and piercing don't have any internals to really damage.
>>
>>50167597
What happens if you put the glasses on a newborn?
>>
>>50167597
He remembers what happened in the uterus
>>
Hey /5eg/, Idahoanon here, I did a little mini-module a while back for halloween. I was gonna scribble up a dungeon for some mapping practice and I figure I'd let you guys vote on the theme. I'll post the scanned map here once I'm done, along with a key for running it.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11608102
>>
File: Paladin 5.jpg (96KB, 736x1041px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin 5.jpg
96KB, 736x1041px
Magic Item anon here. I have to dash quickly, but I just wanted to thank everyone who made suggestions for me. They'll go a long way in helping me sort this out. Thanks, and good night!
>>
>>50167541
>>50167558
What if it bumped INT to 19 instead? Maintaining the concentration drawback, of course
>>
>>50167649
Ah. Realistically that would be the case, but it didn't seem to matter in the source (Maybe the skull is thicker?) so I hadn't considered it. They do take extra damage from headshots, but...5e lacks called shots, so I don't know how to impliment that.
>>
>>50167597
Reminds me of that comic where the guy doesn't study 'cause he's got his brother's cloak of wisdom.

Test day comes, he dons the cloak, and with his new wisdom, he learns that he should have studied
>>
>>50167717
You're welcome! Don't forget to post the results and what your players thought of them.
>>
>>50167732
Would be more worth it, sure.
>>
>>50162699
>Question: What's your favorite podcast or other DnD related content?

I know they're pleb but Web DM and Matt Colville.
>>
Does the Lizardman bite damage die increase when he hits Monk level 11 and gets 1d8?
>>
>>50167794
As a DM I read it as hells yes.

It really doesn't do much of anything besides let you do something other than bludgeoning and let your feeding frenzy feature somewhat scale. But it's kind of a shit ability to be honest. I think they honestly should have gone the aasimar route with any racial abilities that deal damage and have them scale with character level.
>>
>>50163207
Mein nigger, dont see them mentioned often here
>>
File: 1452843640608.jpg (301KB, 600x1039px) Image search: [Google]
1452843640608.jpg
301KB, 600x1039px
Guys, does Lizardfolk invite armored monks?
>Armor covers AC
>Lose regular bonus action attacks, but can still Hungry Jaws as a bonus action until it hits each short rest
>Flurry of Blows still gives respectable damage at 2d6+2Str
>>
Man, I really fucking wish 5e had some kind of synergy for having both strength and dexterity.
>>
>>50167867
Perhaps. I don't remember, do all ki abilities fall under martial arts?
>>
>>50167885
Oh shit, doesn't seem like they do.

So you could use a shield, armor, and a martial weapon if you like. Armored str monk inbound?
>>
>>50167867
>Just going Dexterity monk covers AC
>Doesn't lose 1d6+2 per round in bonus attacks
>Flurry of Blows still gives respectable damage at 2d6+2 Dex

For what purpose
>>
>>50167913
Effective barbarian multiclassing?
More AC than a regular monk (18 starting with first level in heavy armor class) and strength base?
Being a brightly frilled lizardman wearing full plate armor doing any of the following:
>Teleporting through shadows
>Savaging people and knocking them down and around like Jackie Chan using only your TEETH
>Getting THP on each kill and emitting auras of PURE METAL FEAR
>>
>>50167867
>going strength when you can use dexterity for just about everything and dexterity is simply just a better stat for everything.

Maybe if you multiclassed a little, but then you might as well play the other class instead.

>>50167942
>has as much armour as a 20 dex 16 wis monk
>lose speed because not unarmoured
>lower initiative
>dex saving throws are worse
>disadvantage on stealth
>bad stealth checks in the first place
>requires multiclass to function, though monks aren't normally all that good for multiclassing. I suppose they get +1 AC from fighter. You could probably use a shield, too.
You're basically a worse fighter with stunning fist.
>>
>>50167942
>Effective Barbarian/Monk multiclass
>Can't rage
>Can't use martial arts abilities
>Wasted 5 points at pointbuy or had to waste a 13+ roll
>Can't use any Barbarian path abilities because you cannot rage
>Lose at least 20 points of movement

If you want to be a Shadow Monk Lizardman you're still 100% better off going Dexterity.
>>
>>50167698
I'll check back in a few minutes for the final decision, but it looks like Underwater Monstrosities is ahead.
>>
>>50168008
Well you wouldn't use heavy armor for a barbarian, you'd stick with medium there.
>>
>>50167910
>>50167885
>>50167867
I happen to be playing a Fighter 1 / Shadow Monk 4 in full plate + shield at the moment and it's pretty incredible. I've got the Silence when the party needs to beat down some casters, I can stealth in my plate with Pass Without Trace, and tank forever using ki to Dodge as a bonus action.

Second attack will come next level, so the delay isn't all that bad. Missing Action Surge sucks but all the other wacky shit like arrow-catching and jumping off cliffs compensates, plus using ki to hit twice more (admittedly, for only five damage) is nice, too.

It'll all be worth it when Monk 6 hits and I can start teleporting every round.
>>
I want to marry a cute Yuan-Ti!
>>
File: voldemort-death-eaters1.jpg (162KB, 1012x675px) Image search: [Google]
voldemort-death-eaters1.jpg
162KB, 1012x675px
You know what class and race combination I'm talking about.
>>
What kind of gods do most Tempest clerics follow? Also, is the best way to Tempest Cleric to go Magic Initiate (Sorcerer) and grab Booming Blade and a utility first level/cantrip? Cleric damage falls off after a while, so having a cantrip attack to add to the damage you get from Divine Strike seems like it'd make for decent damage, and you don't lose out on an attack from it either.
>>
Maybe a stupid question, but can you make an unarmed strike for an opportunity attack?
>>
>>50168042
Kenku barbarians
>>
>>50168050

I don't see why not.
>>
>>50168042
Yuan-Ti Necromancer?
>>
>>50168042
Goblin Monk?
>>
>>50168057
Like it really fits, with the snek features, and talking to sneks, and everything else.
>>
A heavy metal band consisting of a Tempest Cleric, Sea Herald Barbarian, and Storm Sorcerer.
>>
File: 1474452366024.jpg (18KB, 531x423px) Image search: [Google]
1474452366024.jpg
18KB, 531x423px
>>50168039
Am I cute, uguu~
>>
>>50167340
How can you block crits as an Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>50168042
>>50168057
>>50168098
You need to cut off the nose to spite the face.
>>
>>50168105

Read the post he's responding to.
>>
>>50168115
I posted what he replied to, he's responding to me. How can an Eldritch Knight block a critical hit?
>>
>>50168105
>>50168128
With their face.
>>
>>50168128
By having a shitty DM who thinks that the Shield spell stops crits
>>
>>50168110
Well, I don't know, Warhammer daemonettes looked kinda qute.
>>
>>50168148
lol

DMs that never bother to read the rules. I bet this DM also thinks there are rules for 1s and 20s outside of attack roles.
>>
>>50168042
human champion
>>
>>50168128

Read >>50168148. It's not a serious suggestion, in my opinion. he's just saying to turn the rule around on her by abusing it. Chances are though, if she's just a shitty DM she'll go shittier, probably with some excuse about why it works for them but not you.
>>
>>50168184
Oh it gets better, before me and another guy in our group bought it up, she thought that crits simply do max damage automatically, as opposed to rolling twice the usual damage dice. i.e 2d6 damage would just do 12 damage automatically instead of me rolling 4d6.
>>
>>50168054
>>50168062
>>50168187
stupid muggles
"tip my wizard hat"
>>
>>50168208
Statistically, those results are pretty close.
>>
>>50168208
That's really not that major of a difference. It changes the math slightly about what's better or worse, but that's a very slight difference in damage.

It also speeds up play, and is how it worked in some previous editions I believe, so that's not nearly as big of a deal.
>>
>>50168212
Gnome Druid?
>>
Volo guide is the worst.

Now /pfg/ fetishist denizens is infesting our PURE 5e thread.
>>
>>50168256
What? Why? Where?
>>
File: bugbearmont.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bugbearmont.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>50168256
am I okay to keep fetishizing bugbears in leather skirts and whips
>>
>>50168247
>>50168247
>"teleports behind your back"
>"Avada Kedavra"
>"nothing personell kiddo"
>>
>>50168256
That catgirl race was being posted for months before its release.
>>
>>50168266
>>50168039
>>
File: 1478203541961.png (2MB, 1157x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1478203541961.png
2MB, 1157x1080px
>>50168269
word
>>
File: PrincessKalina1.jpg (24KB, 320x408px) Image search: [Google]
PrincessKalina1.jpg
24KB, 320x408px
Yuan Ti girls are my fetish.
>>
File: 1478217291850.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1478217291850.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>50168297
My man.
>>
>>50168303
what the fuck is that
>>
File: princesskalina2.jpg (56KB, 550x733px) Image search: [Google]
princesskalina2.jpg
56KB, 550x733px
>>50168347
It's a princess Kalina of Bulgaria and totally not a Yuan Ti pureblood in disguise infiltraiting nobility
>>
>>50166045
>I guess I just don't think about early game very much, and most DMs I see are pretty lenient with handing out basic magic armor/weapons, so getting Studded Leather +2 isn't usually difficult.
Give me your DMs.
>>
Friend and I are thinking of playing Adventure League at the local FLGS. What are two good builds that go great together?

I want to play moon druid.
>>
you have 60k gold, which magical items do you buy if you want to excel in combat?
>>
>>50168282
Yuan-ti pureblood are fucking ugly and don't see other humanoids as people. It's easier to sexualize elves, gnomes and tieflings.
>>
File: 1472569989943.png (1MB, 845x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1472569989943.png
1MB, 845x1200px
>>50168256
>What's good: Beautiful human top side with cute snake-ish features and full snake bottom
>What we get: Uncanny Valley sickly human all over with sacrifice knives and no emotions
They've gone mad from their isolation if they still think they want it.
Now, the Bugbearmont meme I can get behind. Just look at those thighs.
>>
File: Strahdselvania 1.png (3MB, 1207x1167px) Image search: [Google]
Strahdselvania 1.png
3MB, 1207x1167px
>>50168394
Aren't they just delightful
>>
>>50168391
But they are supposed to look good enough to blend into a human society and infiltrate upper classes and have +2 charisma.
They are not supposed to look fucking ugly.
>>50168394
There is a type of yuan tis who are actually like that though. Check in malison section.
>>
Is it just me or does storm sorcery look rather shit?
>>
File: 1452265185564.jpg (416KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1452265185564.jpg
416KB, 600x800px
>>50168434
Too bad the playable yuan-ti is a pureblood, the lowest caste. Even then it's already strange to have a pureblood who is willing to integrate with humans except as a spy; one of their possible FLAWS is panic at the occasional spark of emotion they aren't supposed to have. Why would a more sacred and cushy malison possibly defect?
>>
>>50167848
Which is a shame considering they are fairly entertaining and a good mix of players. Kinda wondering if they are going to alter Kaa Koo-Roo Ka's character sheet at all now that the Kenku is available as a player race properly. Not that it will change too much I'm sure.

Favorite episode/character?
>>
>>50168394
I hope the snake part starts a little AFTER her full bottom really.
>>
>>50168453
That's why they are playable after all.
Doubt a grill with snek tail would be unnoticed in a human society, especially since they are more crazy ones.
>>
Boy that took me a while. I should have realized sooner that Nature Clerics can Thorn Whip people into their Spirit Guardians. That's pretty rad, I think.
>>
How about a cute yuan-ti pureblood who feels twinges of emotions, and enters the world at large in the hopes of uncovering some sort of knowledge that'd let her mutate up a caste, but over the course of her adventures learns the true meaning of love and other emotions too I suppose.

Oh and becomes a snake girl with the full tail somehow too.
>>
>>50168466
Like a Dragon's Crown mermaid?
>>
When and why did this thread turn into /pfg/?
Volo's was a mistake.
>>
>>50168656
If they've got a human ass then sure, like that.
>>
just wanted to make sure cause it felt like bullshit. now, i realize a group of 5 level 3 adventurers really shouldnt come up against pic related but the dm implied that it was imperative we deal with "a green dragon about the size of an ox". we arrived in an abandoned town it occupied and I assessed that we could lure it out in the open and take cover in the buildings since everyone in the party has ranged attacks (crossbow on cleric who buffed party, sorcerer, wizard, long bow dex fighter, long bow rogue). I realize shit will go awry because dragon, but I still expected RAW.

does pic related get lair actions if its camped in the tallest building in the abandoned town?
can it fly 80ft, spray 30ft cone, and still fly another 80 ft to try to get out of range? even if it immediately banked 180 degrees after firing its still only 110 ft away from the party and the caster's offensive cantrips are range 120 ft.

and dont even get me started on "dc 20 frightful presence".
>>
>>50168603
but muh lore
>>
File: IMG_0532.gif (8MB, 606x258px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0532.gif
8MB, 606x258px
>>50168681
>>
>>50168740
So, right off the bat if you're level 3 then according to encounter building rules you should've fought like, a CR 4 monster
>>
File: Venom_Cover.jpg (254KB, 400x655px) Image search: [Google]
Venom_Cover.jpg
254KB, 400x655px
>>50168757
Something like that got a book.
>>
>>50168740
>and dont even get me started on "dc 20 frightful presence".

which, is an INT save now!?

ok, ultimately, my beef is that for all the guff players get for not reading the rules, the fucking DM should be doing more than scanning the book for 4 minutes and winging the rest, otherwise, clearly tell the players that you are not going to be playing 5e rules.

/rant
>>
>>50168763
Yep, I think I could fuck that ass.
>>
>>50168740
Since you're already metagaming, I'll tell you that the dragon flies away when you take half it's hp
>>
>>50168772
>>50168740

hes probably talking about the LMoP encounter.

in the book, that dragon doesn't have any lair actions, but your gm might have added that if your group was stomping everything up to there.
>>
>>50168740
>>50168779

>>50168778
HOLY FUCK, I said to the dragon after it teleported out of range after breath weaponing the fourth turn in a row "What is your name, so that I may spread word of your cowardice?" and it introduced itself as Venomvein.
>>
Does anyone have Dungeonology?
>>
>>50168778
Damn, is she a yuan ti Drizzt 2.0?
Anyway I was talking mostly about getting a snek tail which includes dark rituals for the chosen ones.
>>
>>50168740
Yeah, CR 8 is way too high for a group of level 3s. A young White Dragon you could handle maybe, but this is a bit out of your league.

Lair actions are supposed to be reserved for the lair, so it shouldn't be the case if the dragon is attacking the town.

It should also only be able to fly 80 feet total in one turn. It could fly 40 forward, beath, and then fly 40 back. D&D doesn't really have rules for aerodynamics that well, but it's the sort of thing that you should easily be able to stay in range of if it's attacking you.

Sounds to me like your DM does not know what he's doing.
>>
>>50168786
I will completely own that I metagame. I really need to curb it. i dont like being so easily butt hurt over the rules not being followed. I feel like there should be a challenge but that it should in essence be fair because everyone is using the same rules.

>>50168801
that might be it, i dont know, it seemed to be out of an adventure book. we did do a bit of mowing down of enemies. but then again, 5e does feel very swingy from encounter to encounter and its difficult to gauge the difference between good rolls and overpowered classes sometimes.
>>
>>50168826
It's a harsh encounter, but the fucker will just fly away. If anyone drops and runs a risk of dying the dm will probably make him leave earlier
>>
>>50168822
can it hover? i was trying to find all the rules i could on flight but it sounded like unless a creature explicitly has Hover on its stats that it falls if its movement speed zero or it doesnt fly X feet in its next turn
>>
>>50168847
Well I mean it could flap in place
>>
>>50168842
i dont mind a harsh encounter, i was ready for a fight. i knew we may have a casualty or two and that it wouldnt be easy, but it was being made impossible to do anything.
>>
>>50168852
as big as it is? indoors? it was in a 40ft tall abandoned stone tower 25 or so feet across
>>
>>50168882
RAW there isn't any nonsense about wingspan, and a creature with hover just gets the privilege of not falling if knocked prone.
Your DM probably said "Venomfang" not "Venomvein". He's in LMoP, the starter kit adventure.
It's hard to tell if you missed cues or your DM failed to put them out. A dragon is a hazard that must be dealt with, but it is no laughing matter.
>>
>>50168455
I liked Vel a lot during the early episodes, Kaa's probably my favorite recently although due to the mimicry thing hes in the background a lot. I dont think theyll bother changing his stats now that kenku is official, its been working fine as is. Dont really have a favorite episode.
>>
>>50168847
>>50168852
I don't think the rules on hovering are as clear this edition in terms of flight modes. I believe a Dragon might be able to stay in place, and if not then it just has to move a minimum of 5 feet to be counted as 'moving' to avoid stalling and crashing.

Either way, that's pretty minor compared to that other stuff.
>>
>>50168782
Pretty sure you'll have to take her out for dinner first, m8
>>
>>50168394
>Sickly snake face people
>Are supposed to blend in as spies in human society

Did they not think this through? Lamia mode or even just snek head mode would've at least been cool.
>>
>>50168778
>>50168757
Sweet, cute snake girl with ambitions of greater snakeness is plausible
>>
/pfg/ please leave.
>>
>>50169011
Don't worry anon, until we have people using goblins as shotas and wanting to fuck literal foxes we're fine.
>>
>>50169025
>goblins
>shotas

Jesus christ. I always have them growing as cave fungi to explain their birth-to-death ratio.
Plus cackling little baby goblin mushrooms.
>>
>>50168982
They did, that's why they look mostly human and have +2 charisma and suggestion.
>>50169001
I doubt yuan ti who preform snek transforming rituals would be happy to perform it on your jolly emotional snek girl.
>>
>>50169025
>goblins as shotas
hmmm...
>>
>>50169043
Built in inner conflict
>>
>>50169043
Mechanically they work, certainly, just their description and art doesn't fit. Unless they're illusioning 24/7 your neighbor Not-Voldemort asking about the local military is a fucking creep and we should kick him out of town.
>>
>>50169078
Art is kinda misleading, for example pit master malison has snek butts for hands instead of snek heads.
By description purebloods only supposed to have minor details, like patches of skin somewhere or snake like pupils and supposed to "easily pass as human".
>>
If a monster can make melee attack against every enemy within 5ft. of it, how would I calculate damage per round?
>>
>>50169141
Like any AoE, act like it hits two creatures when used.
>>
>>50169148
If a monster has Gore, so it does extra 2d6 if it moves 20ft. to a target and hits it, does it do an extra 2d6 vs just one or all of the targets it hits with a attack vs all within 5ft. trait?
>>
>>50169190
You're the one adding on the trait, you decide.
>>
>>50169246
I was wondering what the CR of. 20th rangers Cow companion was
>>
File: SDE Angel Mini Mockup.png (430KB, 1000x609px) Image search: [Google]
SDE Angel Mini Mockup.png
430KB, 1000x609px
Should I use this mini and try to run a protector aasimar archer, or just trim it to run a human (or any number of more common races)?
>>
>>50169494

Do you want to be an Aasimar archer? Then yes.
>>
Trying to decide between tunnel fighter glaive user or handcrossbow archer, both battlemasters, possibly eldritch knight. What do you guys recommend?
>>
>>50169557
See, that's the thing: I don't particularly, I would probably rather run a scourge barbarian or life cleric (so as to not give a fuck about my own chip damage thanks to huge HP pool or self heals) but then having a completed mini could inspire me to play it. Then again, in the game I'm currently a player in, there's no real equivalent to aasimar or feathery winged races (being set in TES) and I could have a much more widely applicable archer. I just don't know if I'd rather have the rare thing that works really well, or cut it down to be generic.
>>
>>50169584
Tunnel Fighter is my vote, but I just love the ability for melee fighters to actually lock down an area and prevent people from running past them.
>>
>forever DM, finally getting to be a player for SKT
>building characters
>One is a gnome wizard from the future who accidentally traveled back in time
>Another player is a tiefling that was raised in a cave with a bone devil, never been to cities
>But suddenly me wanting to be a goblin is too fucking far for suspension of disbelief

It took an hour to convince him to allow it and he's still shoving it in my face. On top of that the DM won't let me be from a canon faction just because the faction "doesn't make sense to him". Fuck.
>>
>>50169713
That already sounds like an awful party
>>
>>50168926
I really think we are getting close to Vel not actually being Vel, he was just some lab assistant. Also thinking Ansma might be one of the homeland's spies, by that I mean from that organization that seems to be up and coming/coming out of the woodwork.

I don't really have a favorite episode either really but... I'd have to point towards the episode where the wild magic "bombs" are going off and all those crazy things are going on. *shrug* Or the part with the girl making people her friends/family and controlling their minds (episode when Christine gets her shield).
>>
>>50169584
I'm not sure what cheese level you're going for, but for what it's worth Tunnel Fighter is way cheesier than Crossbow Expert.
>>
>>50169713
Run away
>>
>>50169745
The players are good friends of mine and I have faith in them, though the gnome from the future has me a bit worried, as he's the newest player and still likes gimmicky characters that are more fun for one-offs but get old quick.
>>
>>50169713
The secret here is probably that the DM cares fuckall about backstory. Like, the players could describe everything in detail to him, and he processes it as "uh huh, so you're a gnome and you're a tiefling." And then you come along and start making trouble because you want a race that's not in the PHB.

Here's an acid test: ask him if it's okay for you to be a goblin who was polymorphed into a dragonborn by aliens from outer space.
>>
Are there any paladin oaths in the UA's or extra books?

Are any of them good?
>>
>>50169989
There's Oathbreaker in the DMG and Oath of the Crown in Sword Coast, if I remember right.

Both of them are pretty solid, though it's hard to go wrong with Paladin.
>>
>>50169858
What is the best build for a variant human tunnel fighter?
>>
>>50168826
it really depends on the breath weapon and how hard and how many it hits
>>
>>50170014
Sentinel, I would say. Use it with a polearm and you've got a big zone where nobody can run past you.
>>
>>50169901
Nah, he was going to let me be a firbolg. He kept saying that a goblin would look too monstrous and evil (yet somehow a tiefling and half-orc wouldn't).
>>
>>50170056
Eh, depending on the setting they can be a fair bit more integrated. I guess the same could be said for goblin, but if you use the usual marauding bands of goblin idea they get pretty "kill on sight."
>>
Anyone else think the Aasimar looks fun as fuck? You can literally be an alignment mood ring.
>>
>>50170064
It's Forgotten Realms. I finally convinced him to let me be a goblin since my backstory is decent enough, but with the understanding that there is going to be prejudice against my character, which I'm fine with (again though, no such prejudice towards the Tiefling or Half-Orc). But he's still lording it over me like he did me some grand favor, and is going back and not letting my character be part of a canon FR faction that fits in with the backstory and character.
>>
>>50170214
if it's FR then yea, a Goblin would face much much more prejudice

they're a monster pest race known almost exclusively for being evil little shitheads. You're GM was nice to let you play one

frankly I can't imagine a predominately human/dwarf/elf settlement not just killing you on sight
>>
>>50170227
I'm fine with prejudice as a goblin; it makes sense. But why didn't he raise the same problems for someone that's half-devil, or the 7-foot tall half-orc that's in our party? Somehow a goblin's the most threatening-looking guy?
>>
>>50170237
goblins are full monsters, tieflings and half-orcs are only half monsters. non-hostile/intelligent goblins would also be a lot rarer to see
>>
>>50170237
>someone that's half-devil
Tieflings aren't half-devil. I don't know how people still get that wrong. Those are half-fiends, half-devils, or Cambions. It's in the MM. Tieflings are barely devil-blooded, or descendants of people who once made a pact with a devil depending on your lore. It's like expecting Germans to be KoS.
>>
>>50170293
>>50170293
>>50170293
>>
>>50170056
At least on the sword coast, tieflings are seen enough in the major cities and half orcs are everywhere, but goblins are almost universally raiders if encountered. Make a party of all 3 and you look like scouts for a warband.
Thread posts: 385
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.