[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 412
Thread images: 30

File: 1475148940945.jpg (193KB, 1024x1453px) Image search: [Google]
1475148940945.jpg
193KB, 1024x1453px
Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread: >>50141808

"People who don't include previous thread link in the OP are worse than AIDS"
New Unearthed Arcana with a new barbarian subclass will come very, very soon. What do you expect?
>>
A viable punchbarian subclass.
>>
MYSTIC UA WHEN MEARL! YOU SAID THERE WILL BE MYSTIC UA.
>>
Sup /5eg/. New episode of Bards & Nobles is up. Would love to get some feedback on things we can work on for a more entertaining 5e podcast, but I personally would also like some suggestions on things that you don't see often in games (monsters, plot hooks / seeds, items adventures, etc).

www.bardsandnobles.com
>>
>>50144795
a calm barbarian
>>
So I am making an archer Sorcerer using the Favored soul option from the UA a while back.
However, I can't decide If I should go Tabaxi with ranger/fighter at first level or variant half elf with elven weapon training for longbow. And if I take Ranger at level 1, at what point should I grab level 2 for CQS or archery, immediately or after I get extra attack from sorcerer?
>>
>>50144795

>tfw no shield-maiden waifu
>>
>>50144687
Anyone?
>>
Are kobolds any good? They have pack tactics, but also sunlight sensivity. Does the good outweigh the bad?
>>
>>50144908
as if a big strong womyn would associate with the likes of you
>>
>>50144920
They make a good Druid. You lost Sunlight sensitivity but retain Pack tactic while Wild Shape.
>>
is it worth playing a nature cleric?
>>
>>50144973
Source on losing sunlight sensitivity?
>>
File: Escape the Oubliette.png (6MB, 826x1168px) Image search: [Google]
Escape the Oubliette.png
6MB, 826x1168px
>>50144910
Well, there's always the Oubliette.
>>
>>50144920
It does, though they're still somewhat niche I would say.
>>
>>50144795
It would be cool to have something that's to the Barb and Warlock what the Eldritch Knight is to the Fighter and Wizard. Like automatic Hellish Rebuke while raging, or something like that.
>>
>>50144999
Just play druid.
>>
>>50145016 >>50144910

I am noticing that the Oubliette was part of a one page dungeon contest. So probably try looking up said contest and seeing what else is there, then try weaving it all together into a single dungeon.
>>
>>50144999

Its always worth playing any kind of cleric.
>>
>>50144881
> Rage burns in every barbarian’s heart, a furnace that drives him or her toward greatness.
Yeah, nah

>>50144897
So... a divine-inspired arcane archer? I'm not sure how much sense that would make in 5e, since sorcerers aren't really big on buff spells. You'll only ever be shooting one arrow per round.
If you HAVE to do it, just take fighter/ranger at level 1 for the proficiencies and so you don't need high strength. There's no particular reason to start as sorcerer when archery is your main deal.
>>
>>50145086

Not the anonymous you're responding to, but as someone with anger issues, I can confirm that these are not mutually exclusive. I have, after a long time of working on it, managed to maintain a sort of Serenity in my life. That is not ignoring or destroying the burning core of anger that I have, it is rather recognizing that it isn't a wildfire that will overwhelm me. It's a furnace, that I can temper and use. It makes me better at the things that I do, and is fundamentally a part of me. It is, at my worst, also the thing that makes me lose control.
>>
Will update when barbarian UA drops.
>>
Looking out build a 2 handed bladelock for a new campaign. Any tips?
>>
>>50145086
I'll be using the Divine favor sorcerer which gets extra attack at lv 6, so archery is meh rather than super shitty. I want sorcerer so that I get sorcery points for quicken spell which lets me cast fireball and flavor it as an exploding arrow. The idea is to be a magic archer with focus on magic. My DM is okay with UA and flavor, less so with any kind of homebrew.
>>
>>50144910
For sadistic traps, Grimtooth's Traps could be retooled into something that offers a save, unless that's what your players are into. Dmsguild has this
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/188626/Nerzugals-Dungeon-Master-Toolkit
which is free and has 12 puzzles.
>>
>>50144908
Wouldn't an actual shield maiden be wearing at least some sort of armor?

>>50144923
>Implying Helga the Huge wouldn't want a tiny man to dominate
>>
>I'm the DM
>Party is two paladins, a wizard and a ranger
>The ranger is a min max try hard
>Frets over choosing his tracking types because he wants to pick the best one
>He's been known to cheese his rolls in other campaigns if he knows a bad roll will fuck him up
>At level 5 he decides he wants to multi class as a fighter
>I allow it
>Picks battlemaster
>Uses manuevers at any given oppourtunity and loosely keeps track of his superiority die
>"Uh, I've still got one left" happens more often than you'd think
>Argues if he's called out on it
>Campaign leads the group into a mine
>The mine is full of black puddings
>OOC he knows what abilities they have
>His character, who has previously always gone for the kill decides to stand about and do nothing
>"I don't want to damage my sword" "I can't even damage them, what's the point?"
>Resigns to re rolling a new character sheet when he is cornered by an ooze until the wizard saves him
>The paladins were smart enough to use pickaxes laying about the mine in place of their actual weapons
>After the black pudding fiasco they end up fighting a banshee
>He whinges because he knows it has resistance
>After he asks the wizard who is a transmuter to make all of his arrows silver tipped and continue to silver tip them when he gets new ones
>Wants to get his sword silvered specifically to counter that type of resistance
>As we tidy up after our session he asks the wizard if he will use Glyph of Warding to glyph all of his arrows with fireball

He's the kind of guy who only has fun when he is winning and in the face of any hardship or the possibility of losing he will resign himself and sulk. Is there a way to deal with this /tg/ or do I just let him have his fun?
>>
>>50145155
Roll good, like really really good
2 levels in Paladin for synergy and heavy armor prof
Ideally go Polearm Master
>>
Reworked berserker
A 1/3 caster path that gets spell-like abilities while enraged
A beastmaster pseudo Ranger path
>>
>>50145168
Holy shit. I used to have exactly this kind of a guy in my party back when I was a player. Utterly hated him.
>>
>>50145168
>>The ranger is a min max try hard
He will need it
>>
>>50144910
>>50145115
>>
>>50145190
It gets really annoying. His characters behaviour changes on a whim just because he personally knows things outside of the game.

>>50145192
I can get that to an extent, but not to the point of meta gaming and having his personal knowledge about game mechanics suddenly alter his characters actions.
>>
>>50145168
Similar happened to a player of mine in 3.5
>Rolls a scout
>Of course his damage is 0 against constructs, undead, elementals and plants (all encounters in the campaign)
>Eventually doesn't even try to attack them even though he doesn't know he deals 0 damage to all of them
>Doesn't minmax perception and disable device so he eats more than half the traps
>Complains about his character being useless so he wants to reroll
>I say no
>His char dies like 4 times
>Complains that he's below the rest of the group
It's not my fault he's a retard for picking scout
>>
>>50144999
Depends. Does it appeal to you?
There are no weak options except Beastmaster ranger and bladelock. Outside of those, just play whatever you feel like. No full caster is weak in any sense of the word.

>>50145155
Any other class.

>>50145134
So basically Edward Norton at the end of the movie?
I totally know that feel though
>>
>>50145254
You see, the problem is everything that's immune is literally impossible to injure as a Rogue variant. If you have a Rogue in 3.5, you need to make concessions, or they will not be able to do jack shit, and that's on you as a DM.
>>
>>50145164
Not necessarily. There are plenty of instances in antiquity where people fought with shields and no armor.

16 dex plus shield gives a respectable 15AC.
>>
>>50145254
Did you inform him about the focus of the campaign?
>>
>>50145254
>someone want to make a fun character without minmaxing
>throw enemies that he can't damage, kill his character 4 times and don't allow him to reroll
You sound like a fun DM to play with
>>
>>50145260
What makes bladelock bad?
>>
>>50145316
>Do people know in what they're going to get into when they start an adventure?
Of course not, would you tell your players they're going to play curse of strahd so they can prepare themselves to be all vampire hunters? no, same here.
>>
>>50145254
You're an ass
>>
>>50145328
Well firstly blacklock is objectively worse than tomelock and chainlock.
>>
File: ButtWhy.gif (826KB, 320x231px) Image search: [Google]
ButtWhy.gif
826KB, 320x231px
>>50145185
>Berserker gets nature spells while totem doesn't

>>50145328
The pact of the blade gives very, very little, especially compared to the other two. If you're expecting to be a melee warrior, you're going to be disappointed, because your DPS will still be much higher at range. Bladelocks aren't melee fighters, they're blasters who can survive in melee if they HAVE to.
>>
>>50145328
>every thread
1. Squishy frame
2. Unless you minmax, like really really minmax hard, weaker at his thing than tomelock and just plain better to just use EB
>>
>>50145254
Shit DM alert
>>
File: barbara_and_gordon.png (112KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
barbara_and_gordon.png
112KB, 333x250px
>>50145254
Anon, I don't know how to say it to you, but you are That DM.
>>
>>50145371
>Bladelocks aren't melee fighters, they're blasters who can survive in melee if they HAVE to.
And Tomelock does this better
>>
>>50145168
I should probably have added that even after he realised he could use the pickaxes to attack he refused to because he didn't want to risk getting hit and have his armour corrode. He even refused to fire arrows from a distance because "uh, they're resistant". I don't know if it's just me but I feel as though I should punish his character in some way.
>>
>>50145371
Bladelocks need more invocation support
>>
>>50145328
Not very naturally tanky, so it has a hard time staying on the frontlines, especially in the beginning.
Hex is important for damage, and you lose concentration very easily while in melee.
You lose out on ritual casting+cool cantrips or a really cool special minion.
Doesn't really do anything special until lv 12.
EB is better.

If you think it is cool, go for it, but if you want is magic in melee you should go UA ranger, eldritch knight or paladin.
>>
>>50145351
> Of course not, would you tell your players they're going to play curse of strahd so they can prepare themselves to be all vampire hunters? no, same here.

I'm running 2e Ravenloft adventures, and I had a session zero to let people know that it isn't a happy go lucky campaign, and that certain characters or classes might have a hard time.

Its up to the DM to make sure the player's have fun, if you don't prepare your players for shit, then its your fault dude.
>>
>>50145351
1. Even a party of vampire hunters aren't necessarily going to kill Strahd. That adventure book is HARD.
2. There's a difference between a character being unoptimized for a campaign and a character being literal garbage for a campaign. As a DM, you should try to work with him. At least prod him to make his disable device and perception.

>>50145393
I suppose so, with the cantrips from FRAG.
>>
>>50145011
Read Druid Wildshape rule?
>>
>>50145011
>>50145435
>You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can’t use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense.
It's reasonable to assume if you don't retain darkvision you don't retain sunlight sensitivity.
>>
>>50144973
Do you? I thought you lost all racial features and gained the creature's features.
>>
>>50145470
Reasonable, yes.
RAW, no.
>>
>>50145496
ACTUALLY
If you wanna get anal about RAW, wild shape only retains the "benefits" of features from your race or class. So, no, light sensitivity isn't automatically carried over.

>>50145485
See >>50145470
>>
>>50145496
By RAW? You only retain benefit. Sunlight sensitivity isn't benefit, so you don't retain it.
>>
>>50145435
>>50145470
I guess I can see it being reasonable to lose it and RAW you only keep "the benefit of any features" and it is not a benefit.

However, I thin it kind of goes against the RAI of wild shape, I would love to have a sage advice on this.
>>
>>50145521
I beat you by 10 seconds, scrub. Git gud.
I swear I have a life most of the time
>>
>>50145540
>the RAI of wild shape
I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not sure I follow either. Your new form has different senses - literally different eyes - which aren't accustomed to darkness. Why would they then be hurt by light?
If that was the case, a wildshaped creature with light sensitivity would literally only be able to operate in dim light, ever. I doubt that would be RAI>
>>
>>50145516
>>50145521
Ah, yes. You're right.
Unless we start arguing about how "benefit" is defined in the rules at which point it's semantics and really needs a sage advice.
>>
>>50145619
Well, you could also argue that Sunlight Sensitivity is a 'special sense', since it is a special modification to one of your senses. A detrimental one, but still special.

So that's 2 reasons for it to not carry over
>>
>>50145588
You have convinced me I guess, it makes sense for them to lose it.
>>
>>50145150

DM's guild has a ton of content. Any reason you included some, but not others?
>>
So since kobolds are constantly fighting disadvantage and advantage with sunlight sensitivity and pack tactics, that means they can't get advantage or disadvantage for melee attacks, what would you do now knowing you cannot get disadvantage no matter what with a kobold?
>>
>>50145155
Start as fighter for heavy armor and con saving throws, then multiclass into lock.
If you don't mind being sort of 'that guy' you can try using darkness cheese starting level 4.
Just remember that you probably won't be as effective as an EB lock or a class more suited. Regardless, the theme can be really fun.
>>
>>50145757
touch its butt
>>
>>50145757
>Implying they'll be fighting just under direct sun light
Sunlight sensitivity isn't that hard to avoid
>>
>>50145754
I included DM's Guild content that was featured in either UA or Dragon+ articles.
>>
File: IMG_0177.jpg (125KB, 430x613px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0177.jpg
125KB, 430x613px
>start my first 5e campaign
>put a ton of effort into the character, fleshed backstory, good motivations, generally strong all around fighter meant to take some hits and deal some damage
>group falls apart after first session
>learn my lesson
>new group that's following the same campaign (Phandelver)
>make a half assed cleric because we need someone to heal (it was just me, a girl and DM) and do some damage
>group actually stays together
>having fun with the people in group, IC and OOC
>even adding new players to the campaign next week
>I'm stuck playing a boring uninspired character
>want to make a new one but it will mess up the party dynamic

I dunno want to do. I want to play a monk but it would sorta ruin it for the other people playing
>>
>>50145788
Like, just give them a parasol. Or a bit hat.
>>
>>50144869
>Sorcerer
>Barbarian
>Ranger
>Rogue
Every fucking time.
>>
for conjuration spells, why is the casting time for conjure elementals so much longer than the casting time for conjure animals/woodland creatures
are elementals at CR 2 and below OP compared to beasts and fey?
>>
>>50145859
>Have to play something you don't want to because it's imperative the group has one plus the group is small
>New players enter
>Your class is not as much needed as before and probably group will do fine without it or with another class you would like to play instead
>If you change char people will be annoyed
Fuck this so many times
>>
>>50145859
now that you have a steady group you can flesh out your character
add stuff to your backstory you silly willy
>>
>>50145861
That doesn't work though
You get penalties if you and your target are both under sunlight, unless you have a big ass parasol or hat it won't work
>>
>>50145859
>Learn my lesson
Sounds more like bitterness desu
As for advice, try to make your current character interesting to you by fleshing him out more.

>>50145915
Nu-uh
Sometimes there's a paladin, too

>>50145931
I believe you mean you OR your target
>>
>>50145757
Some stuff I just thought of.

Able to use heavy weapons as long as an ally is next from the enemy. Can also attack from Max range as long as the ally is there. So I can see a lot of heavy crossbow wielding kobolds or hand crossbows from a safe distance.
>>
File: 1468644369837.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1468644369837.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>50145588
>>50145694
>>50145655
>>50145485

Nowhere in the 5th PhB states you only get the benefits, and ignore the drawbacks.

"Your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but you retain your alignment, personality, and Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the creature."

"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense."
>>
>>50145928
I mean I did but I'm still not into it. Backstory is sort of generic "come to Jesus" thing and I dunno. I'm just not a huge fan of clerics in RPGs in general. Had some fun moments though with nat 20's last session
>>
>>50145916
In past editions you couldn't maintain summons as long. The trade off is you can keep a summon through multiple encounters but you have to prepare.

The druid has exceptions because honestly it needs to have them. The druid spell list sucks compared to the other 9th level casters if not for the conjure lines exclusive to its list.
>>
>>50145960
Characters can evolve through a campaign. Add onto the character's view on life as the new experiences let him refine or change his views.
>>
>>50145931
Fine, fine. A big MAGIC hat.
>>
>>50145951
Sunlight sensitivity is a special sense nigga.
>>
>>50145960
clerics dont just have to be healbots, you can play him however you want
also multiclassing might make it more interesting for you
>>
>>50145951
>it doesn't say you only gain the benefits!
>He says, while quoting the passage that says you gain the benefits

Refer to your own pic
>>
>>50146007
> Sunlight sensitivity is a special sense nigga.

No, it fucking isn't. Are you daft?
>>
>>50146020
>it doesn't say you only gain the benefits!
>He says, while quoting the passage that says you gain the benefits

It says your stats are replaced by the creatures, you don't pick and choose what you get.
>>
>>50146024
It changes how the character perceives vision, just like darkvision does.
>>
>>50145951
>"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so. However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense."

Is sunlight sensitivity a benefit? No

Is sunlight sensitivity a special sense? Yes

You retain benefits, and can't use special senses. Therefore, you don't retain sunlight sensitivity and can't use it.
>>
>>50146018
I'm playing him as a war cleric. I think the new guy is going to play a barbarian, the girl is playing a Druid and the DM is playing a swashbuckler NPC. I'm basically playing my cleric as a tank with some heals if we take too much damage
>>
>>50146039
Read both passages as a whole. It says you replace everything that isn't otherwise stated. You don't keep your 25 foot movement if the beast is slower or faster.
>>
>>50145965
its just weird to me that elemental summons are nerfed compared to the other 2 low level conjures when elementals in the phb seem straight up weaker than the beasts or fey
especially the pixie
i really dont see any reason to take conjure minor elemental when conjure animals/woodland creatures are the same thing but with an immediate cast and just as long of a duration
>>
Unearthed Arcana WHEN?
>>
>>50146053
> Is sunlight sensitivity a benefit? No

Does the book say you IGNORE drawbacks as well as gain benefits? No. You get the statistics of the creature.

> Is sunlight sensitivity a special sense? Yes

Being sensitive to sunlight is not a bloody sense, what the hell do you think that!?

> You retain benefits, and can't use special senses. Therefore, you don't retain sunlight sensitivity and can't use it.

"However, you can't use any of your special senses, such as darkvision, unless your new form also has that sense."

Right, you see as per the quote above, your senses change to match the creatures. BECAUSE they change to match the creatures, if the creatures eyes can't handle sunlight, YOU cannot handle sunlight, because the DRUID TURNS INTO THAT CREATURE.

You had Darkvision? You lose Darkvision because you turned into a creature which doesn't have eyes which can see in the dark. Therefore, if the creature cannot see in sunlight the DRUID cannot see in sunlight.

Stop reading what you want to read.
>>
>>50146087
Those 2 are also on the wizard list. That's the only reason.
>>
>>50146097
When you stop touching yourself.
>>
>>50146060
the druid is fine as a healing class
i dont think switching will mess up your party dynamic
>>
>>50146125
> he still pretend to be dense
0/10
>>
>>50146153
Not my fault you have the comprehension skills of a 8 year old with a TBI.
>>
>>50146007
Is "sunlight sensitivity" under the senses part of the stat block?
>>
>>50146136
wew
thats lame af desu
>>
>>50146125
> You had Sunlight Sensitivity? You lose Sunlight Sensitivity because you turned into a creature which doesn't have eyes which are sensitive go the sun. Therefore, if the creature can see in sunlight the DRUID can see in sunlight
>>
>>50146144
I would also feel bad because the whole "guess we have to get to know a new character" kind of thing
>>
>Yuan-Ti Pit master
How am I supposed to take these snek-hands seriously, they probably can't even wipe their own ass with these hands, not to speak of literally any other average action that requires fingers.
It's not even clear if they have snek heads or snek butts for arms, since on picture it's tails and in attack description it's heads.
>>
can anyone give me some combat related ideas for major/silent image or illusory reality?

I'm not 14 yet but was wondering how useful it would be
>>
>>50146209
just talk to your DM and party about it

if you're not enjoying the class they shouldn't be against you switching so you can have fun. the DM can try to balance things in a way where you won't be desperate for healing. Druids can heal alright, the fights just shouldn't be in need of constant healing otherwise she'll be stuck as a heal bot which is frustrating when you're playing a non-cleric class.
>>
>>50145915
To be fair, it's the Barb, Ranger, and Rogues first D&D campaign ever (started last year).

No one knew what they wanted to play, so I fired up whothefuckismydndcharacter and made one for each class. They picked what they picked and built stories around that.
>>
>>50146238
Make a 20-foot cube of a flying monster to terrify everyone. If they physically interact with it, such as shooting wit with arrows, then they perceive it to be a fake illusion. Otherwise they have to take an action to do an intelligence (Investigate) check with your spell save DC or else they perceive the illusion to be real. By making it flying you prevent most creatures without a range attack from interacting with it physically. At minimum you make all enemy creatures waste their action either investigating it or running in terror. At best you keep up the illusion and can make the enemies believe that your pet dragon is angry at them.
>>
>>50146238
Against an enemy bigger than you, make an illusion that cuts off a hallway. Make all of it real except for a part you can fit through but the monster can't. Be sure the monster sees you run through the "fake" wall.

Make a "real" bridge and then cease concentration if anything hostile tries to cross after you.
>>
>>50146209
thats part of being an adventurer though
replacement characters are inevitable either from boredom or character death
either way im sure your group is full of nice people who would understand you just wanna switch up to have more fun
i know youre just trying to be polite but if your group legitimately whines about you trying to have more fun then thats on them
not you
>>
>>50146125
>what is reading?

This fucking guy.
>>
>>50146140

Impossible, I love fingering myself.
>>
>>50146365
It's just bait-posting anyway. He just wants a reaction, right or wrong.
>>
>>50146338
Ok

Can minor illusion some delicious food, illusory reality and eat it?

Could I create a major image "maze" and make it real?
>>
>>50146039
Literally fucking read the ability. It specifically says that you keep "benefits" from your class and race.

>>50146060
You could perhaps reroll the same character as a paladin and slightly refluff his background to make him more interesting and fulfill this role better.
>>
>>50146211
>How am I supposed to take these snek-hands seriously
You can't. Stop trying.

>>50146313
First time I've heard of someone actually using that. Nice.
>>
>>50146382
Won't be much of a maze in a 20 ft. cube.

The minor illusion food will still disappear when its duration ends so it won't sustain you.
>>
>>50146382
its just an illusion so you could use it to pretend to be eating but it wont sustain you at all
if you want to conjure food, goodberry is a good option
>>
>>50146441
Ok

What about phantasm force/killer? If I use illusory reality, can it deal damage to others since it's now visible to others?
>>
>>50146382
Oh, I didn't read the illusory reality part.
Wizard Illusionist features says you can make one inanimate part of an illusion spell of 1st level or higher real for one minute. It can't deal damage to anything.
I assume that making illusionary food real for one minute means that after you eat it, one minute later you're still hungry as it would vanish.
The best use would be to create terrain features like hills, cliffs, obstacles, ladders, etc. Wall off creatures with illusionary cage bars, or help yourself climb by making illusionary stairs or ladders.You could argue that an illusionary cart is an inanimate object but you could still make it move around. You can trick people by offering them illusionary goods in exchange for real money or vice versa. Make illusionary weapons or armor for your allies and make them real for one minute. Make illusionary heavy rolling objects to set off traps.
>>
>>50145399
Use (slightly) homebrewed monsters. He will easily misidentify it, and then proceed to use the wrong strategy, or fail to identify it at all and be forced to roll with the punches.
Just make sure you have an actual plan and reason and explanation. For example, the nilbog. When a player gets a good nature/arcana check, they'll realize it isn't a black widow (or the ooze equivalent) but a more harmless (or harmful) variety.
But be absolutely sure to have a proper writeup with CR balance and a bit of lore, because I have a feeling the player would flip shit if he just fought "Thing that's totally like a mimic except its resistances are flipped". If you show him your basis that's been polished and rebalanced and he still flips shit, the other players should still take your side, and he may just bugger off.
>>
So, my and me friend are doing a thing once Volo's comes out- our usual Halloween oneshot- and we all randomly rolled for our characters' races. I got Hobgoblin. Looking at their traits, I kinda feel like Wizard makes the best choice, but both my characters in the two games I'm part of are working off the Wizard Spell list (a wizard and an Eldritch Knight) so I want to try something new. I don't want to pick an incompatible class because these sessions tend to be highly lethal and I know for a fact three of the other five players will be min-maxing.
So my question is thus: Would a Mystic make a good class for Hobgoblin? These sessions start us at level 2, and the characters usually end on level ten or eleven so I shouldn't have to worry about running out of level. What does /tg/ think?
>>
>>50146555
make whatever you will have the most fun with?
>>
>>50146555
Mystic would work if you want to avoid Arcane entirely.
>>
>>50146462
No. The spell doesn't say that and the feature doesn't say that.
>>
>>50146555
Immortal Mystic hobgoblin could be pretty cool, honestly.
>>
File: snekarms.jpg (89KB, 252x469px) Image search: [Google]
snekarms.jpg
89KB, 252x469px
>>50146429
It's just like for some intelligent logical creatures they are supposed to be, they really have pretty inefficient design choises for their snek mutations. I have a trouble implementing them into an yuan-ti campaign since they are such a meme.
>"Look how smurt and evil I am, I have sneks for arms, hurr hurr"
>>
>>50146644
If those snake arms have snake heads somewhere, the tongues wipe their asses.
>>
>>50146661
Good 'ol assvipers
>>
>>50146441
Only if you assume 5-foot corridors. Make them 2.5-3 feet and you're starting to get somewhere.

>>50146644
Clearly he's so smart and important that slaves wipe his ass. He's essentially made himself worthless, but since it's with SNEKS the Yuan-Ti think it's cool, because they're a meme race.
>>
>>50146592
So illusionist can pretty much create walls in combat?
>>
>>50144897

You can pick a race that gives you both a +2 to Charisma, and proficiency on your weapon of choice, or you can multiclass.

You tell me.
>>
>>50146644
I think the mental image you need to evoke is that the snake bits on them aren't wildly swinging like snakes, but moving very carefully, coldly, and calculatedly as their main body is.
It stops being silly and starts being terrible when it looks less like a wacky flailing reptile orgy on their shoulder and more like a horrifyingly precise and versatile natural weapon.
Those snakes are just as obedient as appendages as our fingers are. Our fingers can't surround someone and inject them with 5 doses of lethal venom, though.
>>50146676
You mean assps?
>>
>>50146661
Damnation, those snek people outsmarted me again!
>>
Anyone willing to take a look at a couple archetypes? I've gotten some good advice on others in the past here, and there's a lot about which I'm uncertain for these.

The College of Miracles (I just now spotted the typo in the document) is based around the bard turning luck to his or her favor.

The Circle of Venom makes the druid an expert on poisons and the like. Mechanically, the idea is to give the druid control effects other than just spells.

>>50146661
Unless they use bidets.
>>
>>50145168
>As we tidy up after our session he asks the wizard if he will use Glyph of Warding to glyph all of his arrows with fireball

The glyph busts if the object moves ten feet
>>
>>50146738
But then I lose out on tabaxi speed feature thing, fighting style, hunters mark and natural explorer.
All of those are features I would want, but I am not sure if it is worth it to delay spell casting and extra attack.
>>
How would a powerful illusionist use a permanent Major Image to his advantage, when confronted by the PCs?
>>
File: IMG_0296.jpg (44KB, 587x347px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0296.jpg
44KB, 587x347px
>>50145150
Does anyone have the pugilist PDF from this list saved? Please respond
>>
>>50146211
>can't wipe their ass
>3/day suggestion
>mage hand cantrip
Pleb
>>
>>50146680
The illusions themselves have restrictions on whether they're allowed to deal damage or which targets they can affect. Making them "real" doesn't change that. Look at which illusions do and do not have those restrictions. There's no blanket ruling on all illusions.
>>
>>50146799
Make a wall
>>
I need names for my whip-wielding kobold Paladin.
>>
>>50146823
He also has command and unseen servant.
>>
File: Trump Wall.jpg (21KB, 480x269px) Image search: [Google]
Trump Wall.jpg
21KB, 480x269px
>>50146831
>>
>>50146799
>"I am Oz! The great and powerful!"
>>
>>50146738
>You can pick a race that appeals to your character concept, or you can pick the most optimal race for mechanical reasons.
Besides, he meant fighter OR ranger, not multiclass.
>>
>>50146841
Whippy McWhippet.
>>
>>50146743
Unless those snakes have the jaw strength of a strong man's hand (they don't) and the lifting power of a strong man's arm (they don't), he's still gimping himself massively in day-to-day life.
>>
>>50146841
De-vo
>>
>>50146799
The illusion of a bare stone floor over a really nasty pit trap. PCs will only examine the floor if there's a rug on it (and in fact you cannot convince many PCs to walk across a rug without shredding it to ribbons first to see if it's animated.)
>>
>>50146743
I mean it may look cool from some angle, but I just imagine this dude in an everyday context, like he literally can't do anything usefull with this. He can't use a tool, anything, probably even write stuff. They are not even tentacles, they are literally sneks with heads. Of course there are slaves and shit, but still.
Even in combat it probably looks like a reptile orgy where he tries to pinch you with his snek fingers.
>>50146823
>>50146857
Well, I guess he can do something usefull a couple of times a day, just enough for an ass wiping.
>>
>>50146841
>>50146916
Make sure to give him a silly hat.
>>
>>50146908
>hurr these magic snakes are only as useful as real life snakes
>>
>>50146908
Dude, it's like 15 snakes. If a halfling or goblin can bench as much as an elf, or a hill dwarf, or 2/3 of humans, he'll be just fine.
>>
>>50146841
Aussir Vers Lup'ra Sventlin
look up a draconic translator
>>
>>50146936
Im pretty sure lifting something heavy with these fragile small snek heads is not the best idea.
>>
File: pilki.jpg (20KB, 300x399px) Image search: [Google]
pilki.jpg
20KB, 300x399px
What would happen, right, if you cast Destroy Wa'er on a Wa'er Weird? Would it die?
>>
>>50146962
A snake skull is probably more durable than one of your fingers, and he has a dozen to coil around anything he needs.
>>
File: IMG_20161107_180348.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161107_180348.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
>>50146774
Well thank fuck for that
>>
>>50146929
>not wanting to force your players to clean the pit master's but themselves
You should never DM
>>
>>50145150
>VGtM
>not VGM
faggot
>>
>>50146759
College of Miracles isn't OP, but the last ability is tricky. It's very strong, but only when you're almost dead. From a gameplay point of view, it probably won't find much use because you don't want to drop that low just to use a class feature.

>you must have consumed a lethal dose of the poison
What do you mean by this? The poison you're using has to be enough to kill you? Or you must poison yourself lethally if you ever want to use the ability? Clarification is in order.
Disgusting plume is actually very powerful, perhaps more so than you intended. Once per battle giving disadvantage to a bunch of enemies is basically equivalent to getting an extra round on top of your enemies, since disadvantage is pretty damn debilitating.

As for your concerns:
Down to the wire is broken with barbarian's Relentless Rage.
Didn't realize immediately Disgusting Plume can affect allies. Still tricky. Perhaps allow a saving throw anyway?

Overall, interesting concepts. A few more revisions are needed, but they'll get there.

>>50146774
Do it
>>
>>50146962
Have you ever tried it? I don't think so. Having a dozen super-malleable appendages is a lot more useful than you think.
t. malison who types 250 WPM with one hand (or snake bushel)
>>
I was looking at 9th level spells, what is up with weird? Wish and time stop seem crazy as fuck
>>
>>50146998
>A snake skull is probably more durable than one of your fingers
Debatable at best.
>>
>>50146816
It's free in the DM's Guild.
>>
Anyone know when there will be a Mystic update?
>>
>>50147065
>true polymorph them into a shoe
>portent to fail their save
>action surge
>disintegrate
>>
>>50146998
>>50147028
But it has like teeth and eyes and other fragile skull elements, there are many things that could go wrong if you try to use them for manual labor, or any labor whatsoever.
>>
>>50147105
>Manual labor
That's what the slaves and purebloods are for.
Malisons can easily manipulate whatever they need between their slithery grasp and magic.
>>
>>50147101
>Playing until level 19 as a mostly pure caster
If your DM lets you do this, it's his fault when the game world breaks.
>>
>>50147070
Where? The only thing I see costs money
>>
>>50146841
Clever Belmont
>>
File: William_Birkin_07.jpg (42KB, 640x474px) Image search: [Google]
William_Birkin_07.jpg
42KB, 640x474px
>>50147105
Snekhands is like a Resident Evil villain. He didn't really think through the whole transforming into an abomination thing through long term, he just wanted to fuck up that one dude really hard. He didn't think about what he'd have to do after that.
>>
>>50147065
Time Stop isn't nearly as crazy as you'd think considering all you can really do with it is conjure stuff or buff, and those usually take concentration.

>>50147101
>>50147128

You forgot
>enemy is meaningful
>legendary resistance
>>
>>50147105
>priests
>hard manual labor
These are like yogis who don't cut their nails. The extreme sacrifice to be holy is paramount.
>>
>>50147128
Well, that combo isn't that great since it gets fucked by legendary resistance, but it works wonders for one turn killing a kraken
>>
File: HOWEVER.png (507KB, 625x261px) Image search: [Google]
HOWEVER.png
507KB, 625x261px
Just discovered Divination Wizard. Turning enemy crits into failures sounds fucking great. Basically, it's the "Yes, yes, well done, anon, well done, HOWEVER" ability.
>>
>>50147188
Divination almost makes me want to play a wizard
almost
>>
>>50147188
I remember when everybody was defending the fuck out of portent just a couple of weeks ago and insisted Wizard could do no wrong.

Now Volo's has been released it seems the threads are back to normal.
>>
>>50147124
>>50147155
Well, sure they have slaves and all that, but even for a sophisticated work like writing or performing some priest rituals and stuff it was probably a bad idea to get rid of hands.
>>50147148
In lore they were supposed the smart and the ones who oppose reckless behaviour though.
>>
>>50147234
>Worshiping asshole snake gods so you can be a snake
>Smart
Pick one and only one. Thulsa Doom was a bitch.
>>
>>50147234
Well, there are some pretty good painters who paint with their mouth/feet...
>>
>>50147025
Some good catches. I was just looking at College of Miracles and realized it doesn't have a very clear mechanical identity, so I think Down to the Wire is due for a change anyway.

I just realized that not all poisons cause death, so saying "a lethal dose" doesn't quite make sense. I'll come up with something else. Like "a standard dose for a creature your size"? I'll take a scan through the poison rules and see what works.

Should I switch to Wis/day with a saving throw, or do you think 1/rest is still better?
>>
>>50147259
>Implying the flitting of a dozen tiny forked-tongue brushes couldn't create more beautiful brushwork than a clumsy man or lazy elf
>>
>>50147025
Oh, almost forgot: thank you for your feedback!
>>
File: Rin_Encounter.png (511KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rin_Encounter.png
511KB, 800x600px
>>50147259
>>
>>50147285
>snekarms will never make his arm tongues flit over your tip
>>
With the new reptilian races, one has to ask.
Is a high wisdom score better representative of possessing and feeling emotions, separating yourself from them, or simply identifying and weighing them?
>>
>>50147285
Yeah, but do you taste the paint? Cause that sounds nasty.
>>
File: hanako is a slut.gif (646KB, 211x118px) Image search: [Google]
hanako is a slut.gif
646KB, 211x118px
>>50147295
>>
File: 1421138554165.gif (3MB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
1421138554165.gif
3MB, 200x180px
>>50147297
>>
>be kobold

>have familiar (essentially a free class feature if you're wizard, though others can get it too)
>free pack tactics at all times

Fuck familiars
>>
>>50147307
It's probably more to represent the calm contemplation and less impulsive behavior that comes with that. A high level monk or druid would be thinking things through and be rather calm.

Not to say that wisdom is a strict dictator of how impulsive your character is, but for a small racial bonus it fits.
>>
>>50147188
You must choose to use portent before the roll, although you still see the roll.

Good for fucking up monsters with advantage though

It's incredibly versatile.
>>
>>50146926
That's an easy one to pull out. There's also the dragon idea from before, but that one occurred to me as well so I don't think it's that original.
>>
>>50146926
Instead, why not:

A rug, with a trap that triggers if something happens to the rug, just before the rug.

Feels a little fairer.
>>
>>50146576
>>50146578
>>50146601
To be honest, I was more thinking Awakened. We currently lack a skillmonkey, plus I kinda prefer that sorta flavour.
About both of them, how strong are they? We rarely use UA material (only things we've used are the Seeker Warlock and Divine Wizard), so I may not actually be allowed use it. Is Immortal like Bladelock in that going melee is still a poor idea or is more War Cleric? Can an Awakened Mystic operate on Bard or Knowledge Cleric level?
>>
>>50147502
Immortal is much better suited to melee combat than pact of the blade. It has actual defensive options and ways to manage its HP.
>>
do your DM's allow you to learn languages in game by studying over a long period of time, or do they insist that you take the linguist feat instead? do they allow you to take exotic languages?
>>
>>50147277
More than 1/round is definitely OP, so I'd stay where you are at least.
If you only imbibe one dose, can you only use it once? That would seem reasonable but isn't specified.
I think the college has an identity (safeguarding people rather than assisting allies/hindering enemies). Dunno if it's the right identity for your concept, but it does exist.
>>
>>50147287
Haha. You're welcome. I'll be monitoring the thread again in a couple hours if you're still around.
>>
>>50147544
Sorry, meant to say more than 1/encounter. Probably obviously that's what I meant but I'll clarify anyway.
I still don't love it without a saving throw, but since it affects allies it's acceptable.
>>
>>50147544
What I meant is that the archetype's concept seems to be about protecting allies, but then Down to the Wire is an attack/skill booster, so that doesn't really fit in very well.

The dose lasts for eight hours after you consume it. If it were just one usage, then you might as well just put it on a dart or something.

>>50147581
I'm going to work (kind of) in a little bit, but I'll be on later. I'll try to come up with some new ideas, too. Thanks again!
>>
>>50147608
Do you multiply the poison in your body? Otherwise I'm not seeing it from a """"realism"""" point of view.
You're welcome and have a pleasant day.
>>
File: IMG_0300.png (75KB, 348x301px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0300.png
75KB, 348x301px
>>50147131
Please respond
>>
If I cast phantasmal killer as a 9th

It does 9d10 damage?
>>
>>50147647
Yeah, but why do that when you've got Meteor Swarm or Power Word: Kill?
>>
>>50147499
I was looking for creatives uses of a permanent Major Image, though. I realized it lasts until dispelled if cast at 6th level.
>>
>>50147657
40d6 to mass targets

Or 9d10 each turn for a minute and CCing
>>
>>50147131
It's seems you're correct sir, I will try to post or link to it when I get home.
>>
>>50147524
Interesting. I'm not sure if that'll be needed, as I know there will be a Bugbear Fighter, Orc Barbarian and Kobold Dex Fighter for definite. How are the talents and disciplines?
>>
Which makes me think, so a +11th level wizard could potentially have multiple permanent illusions in his tower/castle/whatever? That sounds abusable, but interesting.
>>
>>50147728
Thanks m8
>>
>>50147743

They could, reading the description in major illusion. Nothing stops a 14th level illusionist wizard from creating a hellscape of illusion traps, walls, doors, and tunnels in a given area with enough time. Given enough time they can also take all of those illusions with them.
>>
>>50147656
The problem really isn't that people aren't rolling high enough.

The problem is that one character could literally just be another character but with extra stats.

Rolling for stats is similar to saying 'Okay, here's a table of normal races and here's a table of those races on steroids. Everybody gets to roll, but you only get to be super if you roll well enough. If you don't, tough luck.'

ASI is a feature. You get it at level 4, 8, 12, 16, 19 normally.
Fighters get more ASIs.
If you have much better stats than the fighter, you're basically getting some of the fighter's class features for free without even being a fighter, and the fighter in your group has to suck it up anyway.

I stand by that if you want to roll for stats, you should roll in order. I enjoy '3d6 in order' or anything in order because it means that even if somebody rolls wonderfully, they can't ensure their character will be a perfect mary sue because they might have gotten a 6 on con despite the 18 on thre eother stats. Nobody would normally play a low con character, and it introduces a scenario where the wizard of the party is while incredibly strong also desperately weak and NEEDS the team to help them, as they help the team back.

It means someone isn't a direct upgrade of you from the start just because of their rolls. And if they did get better rolls than you in everything? Well, who cares, you signed up to roll for stats, you get what you get.
>>
>>50147706
That doesn't sound creative unless used by the player, really.

It sounds like the DM saying 'oh, and you walked into a trap that has nothing to tell you it existed other than maybe if you have detect magic on or truesight.'
>>
>>50147775
This why I do stat rolling as a group activity. Everyone works with the same numbers in the end to keep the baseline intact.
>>
>>50147775
in all honesty stats are irrelevant provided that you play smart enough and are a good enough roleplayer
you can make a character with -4 in everything viable provided that you play it properly
i get what you're saying but honestly that type of shit only comes to light when somebody in the group is butthurt
idgaf if somebody else shines in combat more than i do because im not a petty cunt
luck is an inherent part of the game and i enjoy it and think that it makes it more fun even when im not the one getting lucky
>>
>>50147772
That's just crazy. Thankfully for the party this guy is "only" 11th level. Still, I guess illusions everywhere is the way to go, then.

>>50147790
Exactly, which is why I was asking for other ideas.
>>
Repeating a question from an earlier thread:

What do you think about a cleric replacement (well, not really replacement, just some overlap) class that "heals" by reducing incoming damage?
Yeah, I know cleric also deals with status effects and resurrections
>>
>>50147844
You mean abjuration wizard?
>>
>>50147844
Sounds more like a domain than anything, a feature like that could be a level 1 ability, half of one damage type to someone other than you within 30 feet of you, requires reaction, Wis Mod uses per long rest
>>
>>50147825
What's the point in rolling then, why not just say 'okay, we're using an elite erray instead of a standard array'?

It also hurts certain classes more to have certain stats.

If you have two 16s and only 11s in everything else, it favours classes that use less stats. You'd have to hope somebody rolled up 4 14s or something.

>>50147834
Usually in a game people start at the same starting point and develop from there, and work out their differences.
Even if someone's fine with putting up with being trash, it's bad design if somebody's simply told 'Okay, these people are all grand knights, but you HAVE to play the peasant of the party.'
>>
>>50147844
As others said, Abjuration wizard or certain aspects of Light and Nature domain clerics. Or Oath of the Crown paladin.
>>
>>50147844
That's pretty much the best way to play, healing in-combat is subpar and strictly inferior to controlling or buffing.
>>
>>50147844
Sounds like a paladin focused on buffing.
>>
>>50147872
>>50147886
I mean a custom Warlord/Marshall
>>
>>50147839

Well I meant as a PC, since a level 14 illusionist can also make something(s) within that hellscape actually real. Still, if you're looking for them to have a big duel with an illusionist in the illusionists lair I'd do something like:

>BBEG has a series of illusion chambers set up in their inner sanctum
>First room is simple, 10ft deep pit traps covered by illusions with a safe passageway through it. BBEG targets the ranged characters from afar while the melee folks struggle through it. Clever players can find simple ways to find the path (such as summoning a bunch of water).
>BBEG then retreats to the second room, through a set of 10 doors. One door is real, the rest are illusions (and maybe minor traps on the wrong ones if you want to make it harder)
>Room 2 is full of illusory spinning blade traps, with some real ones. Cue plan from room 1. BBEG retreats to their inner chamber for phase 3.
>Phase 3 is simple. A labyrinthine maze of illusory and real stone walls, with illusory cloudkill spells filling it up. As he retreats, the BBEG uses his high level spell slots to fill in the pre-designated blank areas in with REAL cloudkill spells usually on the other sides of the illusions.

Very illusionist themed fight there and while it might annoy the players... what were you thinking fighting an illusionist in their hallucinatory fortress of fun?
>>
>>50147895
i see no problem with roleplaying a shitty peasant and i honestly think that it could be a lot of fun to do so
it would be badass to play a weak, clumsy, sickly, ugly awkward commoner with -4 to everything who against all odds somehow keeps up with the elite knights you mentioned
but again
im a roleplay guy, not a statboosting combat junkie
again i see where you are coming from but luck is part of the game and i think its fun
>>
>>50147901
>>50147904
>>50147921
Thanks, I'll steal from those liberally
>>
I really like the visual of the party being imprisoned by a numerous group of smaller characters, and paraded around, until some big mindless monster attacks the place, causing chaos and allowing them to escape.

How do I build an entire (one-session) adventure out of it?

I mean, obviously, I'll need to have them snoop around some place where they can be easily ambushed and taken captive.
>>
>>50147975
Yes, it could be fun.

But, rolling rarely ever lets you do that.

You often get stats not low enough to do such a thing like that, and if you're purposedly fucking your class over you'll just look like an idiot rather than an unfortunate.

If you roll 3d6 in order, you CAN end up with a peasant, unlike if you roll 4d6 and assign it, because it's easier to get bad stats and you aren't given the option of fixing those stats in return for dump stats like int or strength or charisma.

Though, I'd probably make it 3d6+1 myself.

The usual 4d6 assign game is basically that everybody rolls stats, and then this assigns them into one of three tiers, where their stats are either above what the game intended them to start with, is in line with what the game intended or it's low, but not low enough that it's special. Instead, it just means that they don't get to do what their class was meant to do properly.
A monk then can't deal damage or take damage very well.
A paladin then doesn't give as much support.
Et cetera.
And that leaves your character open to being overshadowed by another party member whose ability to do the only thing you're good at stops you from being good at anything at all.
>>
>>50147975
>Who against all odds somehow keeps up
You know just taking low stats isn't going to have that happen, right? You would actually need to have luck from your rolls. Almost all of the time all you'd be doing is failing to hit or damage things as much as you should and go down much faster than you should. So, your "elite knights" you're trying to keep up with either make you a nice grave for being so brave after being turned to peasant soup, or wind up wasting their time, effort, and maybe lives trying to save you because you're in the party.
If the GM does not accommodate this, the encounters your party faces will be much too hard and lethal because you drag them down, and you'll soak up a portion of the EXP rewarded by being there dying constantly. Even if your GM is more off-the-cuff style, the party is then fighting less heroic battles because of you being a mud-fucker instead of a hero.
>>
>>50147895
The point of rolling then becomes to see what power level the campaign will be at and what classes people will play with the scores they got. Also it keeps things a little different than just using the same arrays all the time.
>>
File: UA_Barbarian.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA_Barbarian.pdf
1B, 486x500px
So, what does /5eg/ think of the new barbarians?
>>
Which of these character concepts using volo's guide races is the least special snowflake or the most actually interesting.

Lizardfolk Wizard who's tribe lived in the city, taken as a wizards apprentice and has her motherhood instincts altered to be more protective of other people, unlike many lizardfolk plans in the long term, like other lizardfolk, emotionless.

Tabaxi Divination Wizard obsessed with omens and spurious correlations between events trying to make sense of the universe through pseudoscience.

Aasimar Sorcerer, who acts more like a paladin
>>
Are druids of Mielikki wearing armour actually a thing?
>>
>>50148046
The entire problem seems to be you don't think anyone could roll stats then pick a class.
>>
>>50148110
Did it just come out? I'll have to give it a read
>>
>>50148110
Ancestral Guardian is very close to something I'd been trying to homebrew, so it's nice to see an official nod in that direction. The others are alright, but don't interest me personally so I'll probably never mess with them.
>>
>>50148096
It doesn't really make a difference, really.

It just means the party rolls higher numbers for their to-hit or has more health or whatever.

The numbers don't really change a lot of the dynamic stuff in game. For example, fighting styles give you '+2 damage', or '+1 AC', or 'reroll certain numbers'
Whereas a warlock's invocation gives you 'you can cast disguise self at will, you can cast false life at will, your eldritch blasts gain pushback'.. Of course, invocations have the agonizing blast tax and fighting styles do have things like 'protection'

Like fighting styles, it mostly just increases a number.

I'll admit though, it is slightly different, even if not by much.
Themes such as 'you're all pirates on the seas' make the game much more different.
>>
>>50148110
Storm Herald seems pretty cool just by skimming it over.
>>
>>50148135
If I thought that, then why would I endorse rolling 3d6 in order at all?

I've seen people roll bad stats and then pick monk before, though. They only knew pain.
>>
>>50148110

Bear totem is still king but the storm barbarians look fun as fuck. Make a flavorful Triton storm barbarian, min max resistances, scourge aasimar holy barbarian aura of murder barbarian...
>>
>>50147965
These are some really cool ideas, thanks! I probably won't be able to implement it all, because it's just one big room inside a much bigger castle, but I'll do my best to make it memorable.
>>
>>50148181
Gotta stack those auras. Sounds like a character idea I might have to steal!
>>
>>50148179
Then that's their choice. Hopefully it was an informed choice. It seems dumb to pick monk in that situation instead of waiting for a game when the stat rolls are high.
>>
>>50148110
Zealot is awesome. Giving advantage on attacks, fighting even after 0 hitpoints and being able to resucceed saving throws are all strong.
Storm Herald is awesome, and the flavour is wild. Sea, however, does seem to offer a lot more then the other two auras. I see myself using this.
Ancestral Guardian seems like something that, if built well, could really mess shit up.
>>
>>50148110
Ancestral Guardian seems bad, the other two look pretty good
>>
>>50148110
Where did this come from? It's not showing on the WotC website or dragon+
>>
>>50148110
It's not on WotC's site, seems fake.
>>
>>50148259
That'd be a lot of effort for a fake, and I'ma be really peeved if someone making a parody of their work did something better than them.
>>
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Barbarian.pdf
It's NOT fake, guys.
>>
>>50148273
Maybe it's from Mike's twitter.
>>
>>50148110
>Ancestral Guardian
tank for your friends! Consulting with spirits is pretty flavourful.

>Storm Herald
muh elementalism. It's cool they have multiple options but none of them really spark my imagination.

>Zealot
DRAGON DRAGON! ROCK THE DRAGON! DRAGON BALL Z!
>>
>>50148110
>spooky spirits barbarian
meh, most of it looks a bit useless tbqh
>weather barbarian
I like it, fun and stragthfoward
>holy barbarian
DEUS VULT!!!
Hope it's not fake though
>>
>>50148280
Shame, I was hoping it was fake. That calculation for the Storm Herald fire and cold auras is very un-5e.
>>
>>50148288
Oh my god.
Sun Soul Monk/Zealot Barbarian
Too MAD or could it work?
>>
Storm cleric barbarian for free 10ft push at the end of every turn sounds fun.
>>
If my con mod increases, does it retroactively give me the extra HP?
>>
>>50148344
Yes.
>>
>>50148344
Yes.
>>
>>50144795
Alternate stat gen methods:

What does /5eg/ think of pooled statgen?
Each player rolls an array in front of the table, and it's noted.
You choose one of those 6 arrays to build with.

Secondly:
What do you think of card gen (pooled or individual).
>player chooses 11 playing cards of their choice (from 3 to 9) totaling 67, and adds a joker.
>shuffle and draw pairs to generate an array.
>joker doubles what it's drawn with.
>if the gm is feeling generous, maybe you get to shuffle and draw a few times, and keep the one you prefer.

Still random, for people who want random gen, and you're guaranteed to get between a stat total of 70 and 76, compared to the 72 of the predefined array.
>>
File: stu.jpg (129KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
stu.jpg
129KB, 1920x1080px
>>50148110
>Tfw you were already working on an ancestor worship Barbarian path
>>
>>50148224
>waiting for a game

At the rate the game is going, they'll have to wait a year or two or get themself killed.

I think monk suits them the most and I'd think they'd have the most fun with monk more than anything, but I don't think they were well informed about it and they are in a bit of a pickle.

In the end, they'd managed to aquire some magical benefits that puts them almost on par with everybody else. It's just one of those campaigns where you don't expect characters do be constantly dying and being replaced (but that can do) and that is going to go on for quite a while.

When you roll stats for a long-term (Say, three years) you've basically determined your fate for the next three years, that you'll either be worse/on par with/better than everyone else unless something happens and you get magically augmented with extra stats (this didn't happen, they weren't that lucky).

5e is mostly about removing 'dumb decisions', and rolling stats counteracts that by generating 'dumb decisions' in the form of playing MAD classes when you don't have the stats for it.
>>
>>50148290
How is defending your allies useless?
>>
>>50148065
You realize a -4 modifier is a -20% modifier essentially right?
Quit acting like a -4 is a death sentence to fail every roll
>>
I am always coming up with character concepts that I feel are interesting and I would like to play a game with. However I am stuck as the DM of my current group (I do enjoy it and I'm the only one with the time for it).

I'm really reluctant to make a DMPC or anything of the sort, what should I do with these ideas for characters I keep coming up with?
>>
>>50148354
And? you should keep working on it, it isn't like anything from UA ever makes it to production.
>>
>>50148387
Most of 5eg plays D&D solo in their own heads.

>>50148378
I hope the poor guy finds a periapt of wisdom then. As DM I'm sympathetic.
>>
>>50148046
>im not creative whine whine
Wew
>>
>>50148110
Ancestral Shield is not a well written feature. As is, if you have a slashing, bludgeoning or piercing resistance that doesn't come from Rage, you don't lose the whole package when giving it to your ally.
And I don't believe that's what was intended
>>
>>50148412
>I'm really reluctant to make a DMPC or anything of the sort, what should I do with these ideas for characters I keep coming up with?

Play in a local adventurer's league or roll20 or something.

>>50148387

I don't think it's useless, but the 6th and 10th level abilities are rather weak. The strength of the barbarian is their toughness - giving that up to allies, combined with an ability that encourages enemies to hit YOU is kind of awkward synergy. "You must hit me, but I'll be much softer when you do so"

And advantage on intelligence/wisdom checks is.. not great for a barb, other than perception so I suppose it's a good (if thin) ability.
>>
>>50148436
It explicitly says that you lose the resistance unless you have it from a non-rage source, how is that ambiguous at all?
>>
>>50148436
How do you come to that conclusion? If they wanted it your way, all they had to do was leave off "unless you also have it from a source other than Rage."
>>
File: IMG_0320.jpg (65KB, 540x401px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0320.jpg
65KB, 540x401px
>>50148110
>desert storm barb
>shortsword
>carry around a pouch of cinnamon
>multiclass ranger with handgun
>for pet, have Sandworn

He who controls the spice controls the universe!
>>
>>50148387
Because it's not really that good of a defense, just one disadvantage and one resist, that you actually take of yourself, which is bad for you since you usually the one taking the damage from melee in the front row as a barbarian.
It just doesn't have as much good abilities as other paths.
>>
>>50148433
>implying 3d6 in order isn't more creative than assign stats
Rolling up uneven and sometimes not awfully good stats and making a character for that is more creative than being given a bunch of average numbers and being told to do anything, I find, usually.

It sucks to have a character with 12 in everything, and that sometimes happens with 4d6.

>>50148419
He's doing good. He always had a place in the party, because he's the only one who had a certain mindset which helps him get around with certain NPCs.
>>
>>50148453

Although with a little more thinking, it's a very strong ability IF your DM is kind enough to make the monster order of operations in your favor. With the wording, if the enemies attack you and THEN your allies you can safely give them resistance every turn. If the DM attacks you last, it's totally awful. Still don't like the anti-synergy but oh well. Their capstone is pretty excellent.
>>
>>50148110
>Barbarian that literally 4e marks people
>except casters can still ignore the mark

So close...
>>
>>50148453
No AL or even a store within 6 hours drive minimum. I'll check out the lfg queue on roll20 though, good call.
>>
>>50148531
I think it's a little too weak. Maybe they gain resistance to damage of the triggering type?
>>
>>50148433
>I'm not creative enough to write a character unless a guideline is thrust upon me
>For some reason I need special custom random guidelines to latch onto because I can't think of anything to do using a standard array, even a standard array randomly assigned from a set of them
>Because I can't reconcile playing a game properly in my roleplaying game I'm going to force everyone else down for "muh roleplay" since I can't figure it out like a regular functioning human
>>
I'm shocked we still have attributes at this stage. Everything else is already determined by your class, why not go all the way?
>>
>>50148624
Because that would require a full redesign of the skill system and how your abilities progress through the game, and would look like something utterly unlike D&D when it isn't currently commonly perceived as an issue anyways?
>>
>>50148280
How do you find this stuff when they haven't pushed out it to websites yet?
>>
>>50148455
It's essentially lawyering, but here's the logic:

Rage gives you resistance to 3 damage types: slashing, bludgeoning and piercing. The way it's worded ("Youhave resistance to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.") it's one resistance to 3 damage types.

Now, here's the wording for transference: "you can use your reaction to transfer your resistance to those damage types to the ally" which means you give the whole package to your ally.

Now here's how losing it works: "Until the start of your next turn, the ally keeps the resistance and you lack it, unless you also have it from a source other than Rage" which could either mean that you lose your resistance unless you have a similar package from some other source (and that's another can of worms*) or that you don't lose the 3-in-1 resistance if you have either one of those.
In the former case, since resisntances don't stack in would mean that if you have a rage resistance package and, say, an armor that resists bludgeoning, when you transfer resistance you lose your three resistances altogether, armor or no armor.
I think a more correct way of spelling this would be "Until the start of your next turn, the resistance granted by your Rage is applied to your ally instead of you. Resistances from other sources apply normally."

That is, unless they meant you can transfer only one out of three. But that would need a different wording.

And yes, that is rules lawyering.
>>
>>50148574
>doing some boring default bullshit=creativity and fun embodied
damn dude you sure showed me
>>
>>50148725
he's a divination wizard
>>
>>50148649
>Redesign the skill system
>It's already a flat bonus plus up to maybe five or six and your level bonus
>>
>>50148649
There was a link on plebbit.
>>
>>50148110
Ancestral is quite nice for a tank. Bear is good, but being able to defend allies more actively is nice.

Storm for auras is quite stylish. Having an elemental rage is thematic, and can help give some extra damage to multiple targets.

Zealot eems fun. Unlimited rezzes combined with crazy crusading.
>>
>>50148741
>Doing uninspired randomshit=evolution and superiority
I think I've been shown.
>>
>>50148741
>I'm entertained by random number generation!
>This means I'm creative.

Go play FATAL, it has even more random numbers you can be creative with.
>>
Why do you get free ressurection as holy barb on lvl 3, when resurrection is a high level spell?
>>
>>50148510
Im fine with 3d6
I actually prefer it
Im just saying low stats isnt a death sentence and only becomes an issue if somebody makes it one
>>
Kinda bummed the UA wasn't the Mystic, but I DO like the new barbarian subclasses. The storm barbarian in particular is a cool idea.
>>
>>50148882
It's not free. Someone has to cast the spell.
>>
>>50148831
>this much strawman in a few sentences
You should be a politician
>>
>>50148882
For the future. And it's not like paying an NPC cleric for resurrection is an unknown practice
>>
>>50148353
Rolling has the theoretical range of all 3s (18) to all 18s (108), and the most average, typical rolled array averages a total of 74.5 rather than the 72 of PB.

The most typical 4d6drop array is 9,10.5,12,13,14,16.

With card gen you should be going 69+joker, not 67.
>>
>>50148882
Well, someone still has to cast it on you. It's basically your god giving you free revives to continue crusading.

Presumably thus is given to the Barb rather than a Paladin or Cleric because the other divine casters have already earned a place with their devotion, while the Barb is probably trying to redeem themselves in some way.
>>
>>50148900
People only thought the Mystic would be November's UA because we didn't know that they were going weekly for a while. It's still slated before the end of the year, though.
>>
>>50148912
Yes, but it's not like anyone in your party would be able to do that before a high level.
>>50148917
I guess you are right, you can literally kill yourself on every encounter and then just make your party drag your corpse to the nearest cleric.
Though in some way it a bit deavlues the 6lvl skill as you would rather die raging than go limp for a one save against damage.
>>
>>50148413
Good point. Besides, mine is much more "Your ancestors guide your body" than "SOULNADO" like the UA one.
>>
>>50148981

Sure, but up until Saturday I was pretty hyped to see the full class today. I assume they didn't release it today because they realized they wanted to work on something fairly last minute but they DID have some neat barbarian options floating around.
>>
>>50148994
Any cleric can revivify from level 5 onward. Paladins can do it beginning at level 7, I think? And I mean, before 14th level, if a failed save would take you to 0, it's probably better to save against it and stay up, despite losing rage.
>>
>>50148891
It's just needless. It serves no end.

The numbers do little but make characters better/worse, most of the time, and if you allow people to assign stats then you can expect the similar 'dump str/int, get dex/con, get whatever stat you need' kind of mentality to be very vaguely followed.
It limits creativity unless you purposefully fuck yourself over.
Standard array is just the same except saying 'look, let's play it fair and let everybody have the same length of time in the spotlight'.

Having 12 in all stats just isn't really fun. You can't be a jack of all trades because everybody else will be better than you at something, even if they're not all good at everything.

Also, if you roll low stats, you're not really able to take fun feats unless you assign yourself to being pretty useless in general.

If I'm going to have low stats, I'd rather have something quirky given to me like- I'll roll it up right now..
'Str- 13 Dex - 13 Con -14 Int - 14 Wis -11 Cha - 11'
...Okay, fuck that. Not even one high roll or low roll.

Well, whatever. I just much prefer the older edition mentality of 'stats aren't key to being good, but they determine who you are as a person'.
>>
>>50149100
I'm pretty sure the mentality you're thinking of was last seen in 2e, and every 2e player I've ever spoken to talked about how deadly it was.

You can play 5e like that if you don't mind it getting deadlier. D&D turned more toward power fantasy in 3.0.
>>
>>50149138
I played AD&D over a decade ago, I think.

I can't quite remember the mechanics of it all, but I don't remember any of the 'you add a modifier to your rolls based on your stat'.
Instead, you got things like 'you can't be this race if your stats are this or aren't this' and 'you can't be this class if your stats aren't this high'
.. And so, paladins were fucking rare.

I'm not sure what else stats did back then, though. I was too young to understand such a system back then.
>>
For those who don't know UA is going to be weekly for a while.
>>
>>50149177
I've played a shitload of AD&D and your stats definitely adjusted your rolls. High strength meant you got bonus damage, for instance, high dex got you bonuses to missile weapon attacks, etc.
>>
Really wish Liardfolk got Str instead of Wis
>>
>>50149214
yeah, but it did give you less. You needed an 18 for a +3.
>>
>>50149244
Now now, anon, let's not get ahead of ourselves and make something that makes sense
>>
>>50149261
18 strength was +2, 18/01 to 18.../50 I think was +3.
>>
>>50149214
>>50149177

Very high stats gave you bonuses and very low stats gave you penalties, but there was a wide range of stats (usually between 8 and 15, depending on which stat it was) that provided neither bonuses nor penalties and were functionally almost identical to each other. And in a time when raising ability scores during play was practically unheard-of, you just never got that many high scores. If your DM let you roll 4d6-drop-lowest you'd get one or two scores of 16 or over if you were lucky, and if you rolled 3d6-in-order you were unlikely to get even one.
>>
>>50149265
>>50149244
Lizards arent exactly the embodiment of strength
They are slow dry bastards lol
>>
>>50149214
>>50149261
Right, that does sound about right.

I definitely remember the stats did actually do something beyond character creation and actually matter.

I guess the deal is that everybody just had so bad stats that nobody really got real bonuses.
>>
Say I take Magic Initiate (probably druid) on a ranger, would you let it count the level 1 spell as a known spell?
>>
>>50149300
>wide range of stats (usually between 8 and 15, depending on which stat it was) that provided neither bonuses nor penalties

I know, I did play 2E for a really, really fucking long time. But the other anon was of the opinion stats didn't affect rolls.

For the record, 4d6 and drop lowest was usually the way I've done the rolling.
>>
>>50149316
Yeah the thing about rolling stats in AD&D is that the overall range of stats was tighter, and in general the game wasn't exactly fine-tuned for balance (both on the players' side between options and in terms of DMs setting challenges) so it was just sort of less big of a deal
>>
>>50148110
Mearls you cunt this isn't Mystic take 3
>>
>>50149364
I'm not sure how this interacts but I'm fairly certain that sage advice says you can use slots for an Initiate spell as long as it's on your list - whether or not you have to take it from your list specifically I don't know
>>
>>50149177
Yeah it wasn't a thing. The highest stats I ever saw, PB or rolled, were usually 17s with racials, with some characters going all out for that 18 Int (or 19 Dex as an elf ranger, bard or rogue, but on a 78 point pick it did gimp them almost everywhere else)
>>
>>50149364
No, it's not a known spell. It's what 3.5 would have called a spell-like ability
>>
>>50147234
Like I said, these particular ones are like yogis in the fluff.
>>
>>50149440

Eh the wording of the feat is a little murky ("You know this spell and can cast it at its lowest level..") but my ruling would be no. It is its own little universe. Otherwise you'll end up with wizards and sorcerers slinging Hex and Armor of Agathys around.
>>
>>50149457
So they literally do nothing, but command slaves and fap with their snake hands all day?
>>
>>50149492
Pretty much.
>>
>>50149365
>But the other anon was of the opinion stats didn't affect rolls.

Like 90% of the time, they didn't. Or at least they didn't if you were playing by the rules. Simply because of the fact that there are separate rules for 100 different ways to have 18 Strength, I get the feeling that players cheated a lot. Even with 4d6-drop-lowest, 18s are so uncommon that the rules for exceptional strength would seem like a waste (and, of course, not everyone who rolls an 18 is going to put it into Strength.)
>>
>>50149492
Is there a better way to spend your day?
>>
>>50149364
If you are a member of the class you are an Initiate of, you can cast the spell, as your Spellcasting feature allows you to cast [class] spells you know, and you know that [class] spell.
However, if you are not a member of the initiate class, you cannot cast the spell more than once per day even if it is on your spell list, because it is still an [initiate class] spell you know despite it being on your list or even using the same modifier.
So, a Ranger who takes Magic Initiate: Druid and learns Goodberry with it cannot cast Goodberry using spell slots unless they also learn the class as a ranger.
A Fighter who takes Magic Initiate: Wizard and learns Magic Missile, then later multiclasses a level into Wizard, can use spell slots to cast that as it is a wizard spell they know.
>>
>>50149364
>Say I take Magic Initiate (probably druid) on a ranger, would you let it count the level 1 spell as a known spell?
>>50149404 has it right, per sage advice:
>If you have spell slots, can you use them to cast the 1st level spell you learn with the Magic Initiate feat? Yes, but only if the class you pick for the feat is one of your classes. For example, if you pick sorcerer and you are a sorcerer, the Spellcasting feature for that class tells you that you can use your spell slots to cast the sorcerer spells you know, so you can use your spell slots to cast the 1st-level sorcerer spell you learn from Magic Initiate. Similarly, if you are a wizard and pick that class for the feat, you learn a 1st-level wizard spell, which you could add to your spellbook and subsequently prepare.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/sageadvice_feats/
>>
>>50149517
Well, I don't know, like craft something or write something.
On the other hand, would I give up my hands for magic powers, tonns of slaves and ability to fap with shek hands? I probably would.
>>
>>50149524
Welp. Thanks, so probably not Healing Word if it's a 1/day ability. I was mainly taking it for the cantrips anyway.
>>
>>50146211
That's just an example, they can be other malison types
>>
>>50148110
I really hate the wording for Storm Barbarian damage auras, is it (2 + Level) / 4 or 2 + (Level / 4)?

The damage could scale as
3/4/5/6/7 or 1/2/3/4/5/6 depending.

I'm going to guess they mean 2+(Level / 4) because nothing in 5e math has involved fractions smaller than 1/2 so far.
>>
>>50149548
Actually I'm the guy you've replied to a and I was wrong.
I thought that just needed to be on your list but SA says the class you choose when you take the feat actually has to be a class you have levels in for it to work
So it'd work for a Druid with MI (Druid) but not for this guy's Ranger with MI (Druid) unless he has at least one Druid level AFAIK
>>
>>50149637
I think it should probably be (2+L)/4 but the way it's phrased definitely makes it 2+(L/4).
Then again, (2+L)/4 might be more in line with other stuff
>>
>>50149683
Whoops did the wrong one in that last line
>>
>>50149629
What do you mean?
It says there that Merrshaluk priests mutate into snek hands.
>>
File: Point-roll.png (27KB, 1436x300px) Image search: [Google]
Point-roll.png
27KB, 1436x300px
>>50149100
>>50148891
>>
>>50149637
I'm surprised they didn't just go with Proficiency mod for easy scaling
>>
>>50149726
YUAN-Tl PIT MASTER
Pit masters are yuan-ti malison priests that have made a pact with the god Merrshaulk and seek to rouse him from his slumber by sacrificing humanoids to him. They
are the most traditionalist in attitude among yuan-ti and believe that they are best equipped to achieve the goals
of their people. Pit masters are deeply involved in the race's long-term plan to take over humanoid governments, as well as in the ongoing effort to protect their cities from discovery or attacks by hostiles. They oppose reckless behavior and argue for a slow, cautious approach in all matters.
This malison is the type that has a human head and body and snakes for arms.

Not all of them have the same malison type
>>
>>50149781
I would've been fine with Rage damage bonus too, doesn't make much sense IMO.
>>
File: 1435463770668.png (768KB, 1050x743px) Image search: [Google]
1435463770668.png
768KB, 1050x743px
>>50149637
It would make sense, both in strength and grammar, for it to be 2 + (L / 4).
That said, I like the concept of all of the storms, but it feels like Storm is far more useful. Small damage around you each turn? Storm targets and deals a wad of damage to any target you like, helping plink off weaklings without your main attack or help focus something big down. Not to mention it's less commonly resisted.
Utility? Storm gives resistance (granted, to a slightly less common type to fight) and waterbreathing so you can be a fucking shark. The others give resistances that are a bit more common (too bad for dragonborn or tieflings that wanted a thematic match, too) but then the extreme weather clause is already fucking included in having resistance, if you read that bit of the DMG.
Capstones? Desert gets to force a save when people move around more than a bit in range, which has a *chance* of bogging them down for a turn. At least it can crash fliers, too. Sea gets to knock shit prone constantly like a goddamned wolf, except they just force a save with ALL 2-3 ATTACKS instead of eating a bonus action (THAT MEANS MORE DAMAGE) while tundra...slows enemies, giving a less impressive version of desert with no save to resist.
>>
>>50149783
But all Pit Masters have snek arms though.
>believe that they are best equipped to achieve the goals of their people
heh
>>
Update from the most recent UA and Dragon+.
>>
Also since I'm using UA Ranger at my table I was thinking as a hypothetical DM question; one of the players has expressed a desire to use Animal Handling to train a pet, but isn't planning on going BM or Chainlock.

I know the new BM isn't a huge buff but I figure that requiring some downtime for the skill to work to get the old BM pet feature (without the HP scaling) wouldn't really unbalance anything?
>>
Rolled 2 + 1 (1d8 + 1)

>>50149739
Let see what shit I get for my cleric
>>
>>50149798
Yeah, either would have worked fine. It's still a couple points to start that eventually goes up to 6 or so.
>>
>>50149809
no thats wrong
>>
>>50149819
Also for the guy asking for the Pugilist.
>>
>>50149739
>14, 13, 13, 12, 11, 11
Just kill me now.
>>
>>50149819
What would you use this list for, exactly? Generate things at random?
>>
>>50149840
The extra Fight Clubs.
>>
>>50149825
>1d8+1
YOU'VE LOST THE NEWS!
>>
>>50149801
I could see a Blue Dragonborn with lightning being fitting with desert and overlapping well, but other than that you"re right. Storm is overall the best option.

I'd say Tundra is probably the weakest, just due to how plain it is.
>>
>>50149837
>This malison is the type that has a human head and body and snakes for arms.
One of us probably has sneks for eyes.
>>
>>50149858
And the additional archetypes endorsed in the latest Dragon+.
>>
>>50149823
Having it function like a low-level pet of the old headmaster might be pretty fair. Requires their action to have it do anything, so it's not free damage. That relegated it more to utility to have a dog sniff out tracks or a hawk scouting for trouble.
>>
>>50149877
Yes this particular malison that is being used as an example for a Pit Master. Nothing keeps other Malisons from doing it.
>>
>>50149851
Mainly to list off all the available options that are scattered throughout multiple sources. Granted the UA, Planeshift, and DM's Guild options aren't Adventurer's League legal and may not even be allowed in some home games. But I feel there are some that may find this handy.
>>
>>50148110
The average damage of a level 20 lizardfolk storm herald of the sea with 24 strength, that attacks using his bite attack, is higher than that of a level 20 monk who attacks twice and uses flurry of blows

Level 20 Lizardfolk Storm Herald of the Sea Barbarian: 43 damage

Level 20 Monk: 42 damage
>>
>>50149896
Limiting them to utility sounds like the best way to handle it; yes she can tame a hawk, but she's not going to make it join in battle unless things really go south (it might count as a helper for her survival checks)
>>
>>50149882

I would be happy as shit if these people would realize that it's time to stop trying to make a dancing bard a fucking cringeworthy thing, and instead just realized that they want to be a fucking rogue
>>
>>50149882
How balanced is the arcane archer?
>>
>>50149963
I would be happy as shit if these people would realize a bard has always just been "a rogue with music-powered magic"
>>
File: Snake-eyes.png (1MB, 1612x2059px) Image search: [Google]
Snake-eyes.png
1MB, 1612x2059px
>>50149877
>has sneks for eyes.
You might think you're joking, but they exist.
>>
>>50149928
Well, I was talking about these dudes originally.
I still think if they were smarter, they would came up with something more usefull, like a sneks only for one hand.
Or a snek for a nose. That way both of your hands are free and you can bite other people as well as smell things on a distance.
>>
>>50149739
>if you roll 7 and 5
You'd want to kill yourself.
>>
>>50150016
hey man, them's the risks of rolling for stats u take the randomness xD rolling is ebin xD
>>
>>50150033
What's the point of rolling for stats on a table that has potential for shit stats but not good ones?
>>
>>50149997
Why their snake arms can do the same things a hand can do. Coil around objects to hold them or even bit to hold them. They don't need to do any labor cause that not their role.
>>
>>50150045
A 15 is enough for any race, 14 is enough for most.
>>
>>50150084
And? That doesn't make it good. If you're gonna roll on a table where you can get up to average and down to garbage, you should really just use standard array. The whole point of rolling is that it can either suck or pay off big, and the whole paying off big will never happen on this table
>>
>>50150114
>This is what rollers unironically believe
Bullshit, rolling is a way to get either amazing stats or average stats because you'll either cheat or whine until the DM lets you take point-buy after all on your shitty ass roll.
>>
>>50150153
Yes, that's why I play a fighter with 14 strength. Because I cheated to get super good stats
>>
What type of damage would you take if you drank some water weird?
>>
>>50150077
They can't really. I doubt it can hold a pen steadily for example, or to use even any tools on the level hands can. And I talk about the ones with many small snakes, the one with a big snek hands would be even worse.
>>
>>50145254
Never go full retard.
>>
Something else I just realized. Storm Barbarian's aura triggers differently for sea. It damages an enemy at the end of your turn, meaning as long as you're going around smacking people, you're gonna get to use it.

Desert and Tundra only work when an enemy ends their turn there, which means they can just walk away in a lot of cases.

Sea really is the only good option unless your DM only has you fight Kobold that are too dumb to do anything but rush you.
>>
>>50145351
Why are you such a shit DM? It's confounding.
>>
>>50145351
>>50145254
How do you even have players? Why would anyone want to play with you?
>>
>>50150185
Automatic Constrict every turn and you begin suffocating until Weird is dead
>>
>>50150236

Desert and Tundra also make it so it's harder to get away from you, and enemies running out of your aura will trigger Opportunity attacks. Moreover, enemies that are just stuck in the thick of it will all suffer AOE damage. It's not bad.

Running into a group of enemies with the desert up and trapping them seems like a good deal.
>>
>>50150261
At the level you do that, Storm is also knocking enemies prone on their attacks. Difficult terrain won't keep people nearby, and unless you're using a polearm, enemies near the edge can shuffle away.

Plus, you only get one opportunity attack. All it takes is one to try and run and the rest can get away with ease.

The desert and tundra auras don't really trap anyone that well. If anything, they encourage enemies to avoid you and kill your squishy allies.

They need to be revised a fair bit.
>>
>>50150302
>avoid you and kill your squishy allies.
I think this is what smart enemies usually try to do anyway.
>>
>>50150302

The desert one flat out makes it so enemies might not get to move. Seems pretty encouraging to me. I do think they could be better though, I dislike how Desertand Tundra are nearly the same just flipped elements. The other thing I want to see for this path is a better level 10 feature. Passing out the aura is kinda cool, I just think it should do a little bit more than that too.
>>
>>50149823
I've seen it as a straight feat on somebodie's homebrew.
>>
>>50150365
Itd be nice if it gave the side-benefit of the Aura while you weren't raging, letting you and your allies breathe underwater or march through the desert. Maybe advantage on survival checks as well?
>>
>>50145254
Why don't you rename the campaign 'looney tunes' and instead of fighting monsters all the players do is have cartoon rabbits smack them around and crack jokes at them 24/7?
That would be more fun, because at least it's being honest.
>>
>>50150365
Only if the move more than 5 feet, which they only need to do if they're standing right next to you anyway.

Plus, it only applies to ground based movement, so anyone who can fly, teleport, or jump at least 10 feet can clear it no problem.

So the way this will go most of the time is that you'll run up to a crowd of goblins, kill one, take an opportunity attack against another, and watch as the rest leap over the quicksand and take no damage.
>>
>>50150178
No, you play a fighter with 14 str because you are a DUMBASS.
>>
>>50150198
>it'ssnakesiain'tgottaexplainshit.png
>>
Is there any item or spell that makes you sacrifice yourself, while dealing a lot of damage to an enemy?
I'm planning on a gimmick for a zealot barbarian.
>>
>>50150410
Nah, it should be renamed to "No fun allowed, because fuck you that's why".
>>
>>50150480
Well, Scourge Aasimar damages you and nearby enemies, but it's not enough to kill outright.

Of course, you could just dump everything into strength and ignore survivability entirely. That should have a similar effect.
>>
>>50150450
>implying
If you're forced to use shit stats, a fighter is one of the best options.

You get-
A) Heavy armour, which means you do not depend on dexterity for AC.
B) Good hitdie, so even if you have bad con, you'll have health.
C) You're mostly SAD, though con or wis or dex helps a little.
D) You get extra ASIs. Go figure.
E) If you go eldritch knight, you get spells that don't really need good stats.

... And perhaps more.

But the point is, fighter is one of the better things to go if you get fucked over by shitty stats.

Personally I'd have said dex fighter instead though.
>>
>>50150498
Scourge Aasimar also has a side benefit of damaging you every turn while your aura is active, thus keeping your rage going very easily.
>>
>>50150510
>>50150450
Also the DM is a dumbass for making you roll stats
>>
>>50149736
NEW THREAD
>>
>>50150522
True. Plus it's thematically fitting for a Zealot.

Another thing to do would be spam reckless attack to no end for free advantage. Who cares if you get hit and die?
>>
>>50146983
That's a good question.
>>
>>50149840
Holy shit that's op. This is why people shit on homebrew so much
>>
>>50148110
I'm loving the seastorm barbarian. Zealot, too. Others are okay I guess.
Thread posts: 412
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.