[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 499
Thread images: 38

File: Monk.jpg (90KB, 700x933px) Image search: [Google]
Monk.jpg
90KB, 700x933px
Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread: >>50144795

"Unearthed Arcana: Barbarian" edition
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Barbarian.pdf
>>
>>50149736
So the new zealot barb, if you die while raging, you dont die until after the rage, right. Can a regular cure wounds or whatever prevent that?
>>
>>50149736
so ancestors is really boring but basically screws over any boss fight type deal, zealot is flavorful, strong and versatile (amazing capstone desu), and storm is extremely mixed. ocean seems fun but overall i'm not sold on this one. still, it's extremely flavorful and i can see it making setting specific campaigns (egypt themed, pirate themed, norse themed, etc) and a viking that calls down the wrath of thor sounds pretty tight. overall, i give them 5/10, 7/10, 9/10.
>>
Has anyone used Fantasy Grounds with the 5e modules?

I'd love to try it out, but it's a fucking fortune. They offer a monthly sub for the Ultimate upgrade, but all that does is let players using the demo play in your games, it doesn't include any actual content.

Anyone know a way to install the modules to try them out, without paying a metric fuck-ton?
>>
>>50150088
Just use roll20.
>>
>>50149887

I don't believe so, going with the "specific beats general" rule of thumb.

>"Having 0 hit points does not knock you unconscious"
This changes the general rules for having 0 hit points. The next sentence reiterates that the rest of the general rules still apply.
>"However, if you would die due to failing death saving throws, you don't die until your rage ends."
At 3 failed saving throws, you die. The above does not modify the consequences of your failed saving throws, merely when that consequence takes place.

Casting cure wounds or the like on a Raging Zealot after they have failed 3 death saves would be no different, mechanically, from casting it on a corpse.

The logic that +hit points would help a Raging Zealot who has failed his third death save is working from the premise that they are no different from someone who is merely at 0 hit points and still conscious.

The final clause of that 14th level feature seems more apt to "die on your own terms" than making death even more difficult for a Barbarian.
>>
What's your favourite feat?
>>
I'm an illusionist, level 5. I asked in the previous thread, but now for illusory reality

It seems really cool, but at the same time what can it even do? You can't trap someone in a pit and keep them underground, you can't harm anyone with it, and the terrain is ultimately an illusion.

Most I can is blocking / or maybe scaring. True sight also gimps it.

I'm feeling some pretty strong regret honestly.
>>
I am a level 1 light cleric. Variant human, since base human sucks. What feat should I take?
I also have a custom background that cuts my speed in half due to my character being crippled.
>>
>>50150486

The ones attached to my ankles.
>>
>>50150486
I'm a big fan of the UA Spear Mastery featm it makes Spear/Shield a pretty fun option.

If I had to pick an official one though, Tavern Brawler is probably the most fun you can get out of a single feat. Beat a motherfucker with another motherfucker, or with a table, or with a rock, or just about anything.
>>
File: 1373484926994.jpg (76KB, 400x481px) Image search: [Google]
1373484926994.jpg
76KB, 400x481px
Daily reminder intelligence is a shit stat
Strength is a shit stat
Charisma is a shit stat
Bladelock is a shit stat
>>
>>50150576
wrong spelling

now tell me anon, I must know
>>
>Path of the Ancestral Guardian
Good tank, starts really well, but its level 10 and 14 abilities are meh, especially considering you cant use Ancestral shield AND Vengeful Ancestors on the same round.

>Path of the Storm Herald
A pretty straightforward and simple subclass, I liked it. Storm Soul seems weak compared to Bear Totem tho, and I think they should make each environment a little more different

>Path of the Zealot
Divine Fury is better than Storm of Fury, more damage, better damage type and it deals at the end of your turn, even considering the lesser range.
Zealous Focus is very strong, auto success per short rest? The fact that it only consumes a reaction makes it even better
Advantage to attacks and Saving throws to all allies as an action is good, but on a barbarian its not that great, as barbs are great damage dealers.
Also you cant die, this is pretty neat.
Best subclass they showed in this UA imo
>>
>>50150589

> wrong spelling

I'm well aware, friend. That is where the humor lies.

To answer your question, I'm fond of Inspiring Leader.
>>
>>50150498
>>50150522
>>50150555
Not bad at all. Now to think how else could you sacrifice survivability for damage.
>>
>have low Charisma
>DM requires lots of Charisma checks for NPCs
>throws a monster at us that needs pass Charisma check or be useless in fight
>same happens in with int
STR hasn't done me a lot of good as a class that doesn't have use for it though.
>>
>>50150505
>true sight gimps it
But if it's reality, how can true sight see through it?
>you can't trap someone in a pit
You can. Why couldn't you?

To be honest, it does take a bit of imagination to go beyond 'poof, adamantium wall'
>>
>>50145254
No fun allowed edition, because the DM went full retard.
>>
>>50149736
>tfw no whirling frenzy dual-wielder barbs

>>50150588
>charisma is shit
u wot m8
>bladelock is shit
unfortunately true
>>
>>
>>50150635
>have high charisma
>most interactions take place normally as they might in reality without rolls
>only unusual situations tend to require charisma checks

Why would you need to pass a charisma check to be able to fight, though? Is it a charisma save?
Charisma saves are pretty damn rare, so that's either a one-off or your DM doesn't understand what a charisma save is.
>>
>>50150486
I enjoyed using Mobile with a Monk, made for a very hit and run playstyle. All the movement helped get in, get a couple of punches down and then run away like a little girl.
>>
>>50150648
If you're not a charisma caster, charisma does nothing other than make you slightly better at socializing when chances are you're not going to 'need' to socialize much (a lot less often than you'll need to fight), especially when you're practically gauranteed to have a charisma-based caster on your team who can talk for you.
Also the saves aren't awfully common.
>>
File: 1452386390326.gif (674KB, 414x317px) Image search: [Google]
1452386390326.gif
674KB, 414x317px
>>50149736
How would you stat and run an ancient golem about the size of a small country hell-bent on crossing the ocean and destroying a human king half a world away?
>>
>>50150691
I wouldn't. That sounds fucking stupid. Whoever designed that is a shit DM.
>>
>>50150689
Half the classes in the game are charisma casters.
>>
>>50150691
I'd stat it as 'the entire world is engulfed in waves up on waves of tsunamis because you've failed to acknowledge the implications of a whole fucking country that walks and moves and everybody dies, you lose.'
>>
>>50150665
Yeah, a Charisma save. I forget what monster it was but it was a "appears from no where" type of thing and only one character could reliably make the save.

We needed to make rolls for basic interactions, like asking directions to something or convincing random weak NPCs to leave for their safety even after giving them supplies and directions on where to go for safety while we held enemies off. DM was a bit of a dick in hind sight.
>>
>>50150724
What's if it's a really small country? Like, Vatican?
>>
>>50150691
Colossal Magical Construct
Stats: Infinite
No really, why the fuck would you ask for stats of a country sized enemy?
Do you want its GDP and population?
>>
>>50150714
>>50150724
>>50150776

I fucked up, I had meant to say that it was just large enough to climb mountains with relative ease, but I don't think I'll get an answer now.
>>
>Play as a Zealot Barbarian named Lorian
>Have a friend play as a cleric named Lothric
>>
>>50150766
>>50150776
Something sized like the Vatican would be doable.
>>
>>50150533
Mobile? It would help ameliorate the effects of being slow as molasses.
>>
>>50150796
Just take a look at the Tarrasque and base if on that, its pretty much the size you're looking for
>>
>>50150533
buy a magical scooter
>>
>>50150815
That would ruin the point of the custom background though
>>
>>50150766
Depends how you define the country.

If you define it in terms of d(r)d(thi)d(theta) where r is the radius of the earth, everybody's still pretty fucked, although it won't cause global disasters just by existing.

But also depending on the composition it'll probably just break like that one comic about all the soviet dictators going GATTAI and forming a giant mech.

>>50150796
How do you fuck up that badly?
>>
>>50150834
Then maybe you shouldn't have made a retarded background.
>>
>>50150825
A 4 wheel frame.
>>
>>50150836
I have difficulty communicating relative size
>>
>>50150841
make sure it has a sick custom honk
>>
>>50150834
I took it only because it was so shitty, while every other background granted powerful and useful features with basically no drawbacks. There has to be SOMETHING about it.
>>
File: chen honk.jpg (24KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
chen honk.jpg
24KB, 300x220px
>>50150855
>>
>>50150533
Actor.
Use it to pretend to be crippled for more effective begging in cities.
>>
>>50150636
I made meteors, dragons, fields of bear traps etc

And you can't trap someone underground because the ground is an illusion - when you make it real, it is a real pit, but it does not displace the ground or destroy anything underneath it.
>>
>>50150865
>custom scooter gives you a slight speed bonus like a mount
>can get damaged and may need a tune up here and there
>adds weight to your character
>well timed honk can give bonus to something
>if party wants to go to a pub they need to make sure there is wheel chair scooter access or carry you up the stairs

make sure to complain to management for lack of disability access

damn I want a scooter now
>>
>>50150628
desert shouldnt deal damage and instead be more like a sandstorm, maybe cause disadvantage or make you lightly obscured? and the level 6 feature should definitely be a bit more expanded, maybe let them do ranger shit i.e. forage better or ignore difficult terrain in their chosen environment. rp and exploration stuff.
>>
>>50150800
>Tfw you carry your cleric in your back
>>
>>50150894
I can't think of any illusions that allow you to cover up anything that's real, aside from making a flat illusion on top of the ground that's basically just like putting a painting there.

Since they have to be objects, not lack-of-objects.

You could trap somebody if you dug the hole first and used the illusion to make a lid over the hole.

Even if the illusion doesn't damage, you could use it to generate difficult terrain since enemies still have to walk over it.

You could use it to make a box that you could shoot arrows out of.

You could use it to make an invincible, floating platform to sit on top of, probably. .. And then blast spells from it while using it as cover.

You could make a non-mobile tank.

I'm not really sure.
>>
I've got 14 wis, 20 Int and 10-12 everything else as a wizard

Should I bother multi classing?
>>
>>50151111
Nice quads. Maybe multiclass as a cleric for one level to get armor proficiencies and access to some utility divine spells?
>>
>>50151111
a dip in war cleric would give you all armor and weapon proficiencies which is pretty fucking wild

tempest cleric for maximized lightning bolt
>>
>>50151111
No, do not.
>>
i need help guys. I need some ideas. The start of CoS has some cool ideas on how to attract adventurers to Barovia. I was thinking about having them and some soldiers investigate some problems in the woods near Daggerford. They could stumble upon signs of a werwolf prowling in the area. Dead bodies, strange sounds .. and then they get ambushed by the werwolf (might be one of the NPCs from the adventure module with the werwolf den? how can i tie this in ?). They get slaughtered after a brief fight and die. They wake up in Barovia. Now... how do i make the hunt cool ? Immersive ?

and another question. one is a paladin and one is a cleric... any ideas on how to deal with this in Barovia ? like... some interesting side effects on being holy in a cursed land ?
>>
>>50151256
>Now... how do i make the hunt cool ? Immersive ?
Soundboards for spooky forest noises do wonders. Turn the lights down low, have the players use flashlights or candles (if you're really OG) when reading their sheets or making rolls.
>>
>>50151111
You've been playing for a while since you have 20 int, right?

If you get attacked frequently, a level in cleric could give you extra defence. Otherwise, don't bother.

You can't even multiclass in anything other than druid or cleric.
>>
>>50151320
I'm level 4, and I rolled 3 6s for Int, plus IAC for +2 Int

I just leveled to 5, so was thinking of getting a level in something

I'm just using shield for defense, I have 11 AC
>>
>>50149970
>so ancestors is really boring but basically screws over any boss fight type deal
Even Strahd?
>>
>>50150294
The wording is so unclear. They use "would die" and "don't die", it's not sure they mean "3 failed saves, you die".

>you don't die until your rage ends
vs
>you die when your rage ends
>>
>>50150628
Yeah. Zealot seems quite nice, strong, and flavorful. The other two feel like they need some tweaking to work well.

Ancestor basically begs you to pick up the Tunnel Rat fighting style from a dip into fighter, but it feels like it isn't quite good enough to build a fully defensive barbarian around.

Sea under Storm is nice, though,desert and tundra are more meh. Adding more variety would be nice there, though it is certainly a cool concept.

I feel like a good addition to all of these would be some rituals similar to what totem gets. Ancestor would be a lot cooler if they could use Speak with Dead.
>>
Still Wizards putting shit like that out is immeasurably light years ahead of other similar practices by Paizo, who would nerf it to the ground.
>>
>>50151371
>I have 11 AC

oh jeez

Well make sure you get 3rd level Wizard spells. Stay Wizard, don't MC until character level 6 if you're going to MC.

with 11ac I do think hitting up cleric for some armor would help. Throw on scale male for 15ac, use a shield for 17ac, then use your focus in your free hand
>>
File: 1449952693202.jpg (46KB, 600x602px) Image search: [Google]
1449952693202.jpg
46KB, 600x602px
Is the plotline "Bring x amount of macguffins to open y temple, stop or destroy z that was inside y" bad?
Assuming that it isn't the only development in the campaign.
>>
Is there any mechanical reason for a caster to use a longsword?
>>
>>50151470
Aside from a War cleric? Not really. A Wizard will probably want a rapier instead if they expect melee
>>
>>50151440
No, it works in every Zelda game and those are great.

People love 'item sets' if you give them a cool theme and make getting each one different from the others.
>>
>>50151440
Having something that boils down to a cliche isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's all in the dressing and presentation.
>>
>>50151373
probably not, but giving him disadvantage and half speed on a disengage with no chance to resist is pretty solid.
>>
>>50151470
Not unless the DM wants there to be.
>>
>>50151470
Gandalf used one, and he was a pimp
>>
>>50151440
So long as it's fun and you've got plans to deal with the players fucking everything up.
>>
>>50151470
I gave the high elf wizard in my party a magic longsword that just had finesse basically.
He loves it, and I don't think he realises that he hasn't ever actually used it...
>>
>storm barbarian lizardfolk that only bite attacks outdamages monk

YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP
>>
>>50151470
it's the caster's spell focus
>>
Could someone tell me what happened during the Dawn Cataclysm?
>>
>>50151470
4E had several classes use swords as implements (casting focuses, essentially). Suppose you could mock something up 5E
>>
>>50149736
>be 20th level barbarian
>have endless rage uses
>never stop raging
>never die from combat so long as I'm not prevented from acting for an rage's duration
wew
lad
>>
What would be a good trait for ship-dwelling trader-pirate dwarves?
>>
>>50151629
Monks do less damage than all the other martial classes on purpose bruh.
You're a fucking stun-bot.
>>
>>50151692
Poison immunity.
Resistance isn't gonna be enough.
>>
My orcs/hobgoblins look pic related.
>>
>>50151681
>if you calm down, you die

It's like Crank 4: D&D
>>
>>50151681
>be 20th level druid
>have endless wild shapes
>can spend all day barking at people
>never die in combat so long as you can wildshape buffer health
>>
>>50151713
(you)
>>
>>50151681
>>50151722
Scourge Aasimar confirmed immortal.
>>
>>50151711
What's the connection between ships and poison?
>>
>>50151728
You can also get super-nuked between your rounds though - can't do that to the barb
>>
>>50151737
Alcohol poisoning
>>
>>50151713
eww
>>
>>50151728
>meek open fist monk
>get double quivering palmed
>die
>>
>>50151743
what if I wildshape into a raging barbarian

can i do that
>>
>>50151743
just throw intellect devourers at him
>>
so what race/class combos are you guys looking forward to making with volos?
>>
How would this be as a monk fix?

>Add Wis to damage rolls starting at level 11
>At the start of each turn, get Temp HP equal to half your remaining Ki

Would something like that solve their damage and survivability?
>>
>>50151764
i'll quiver your palm
>>
>>50151793
Stop being so gay
>>
>>50151798
i don't want to
>>
>>50151792
>10 temp hp every turn at lv20
isn't that like a lot, i've never made it to that level.
>>
File: Rotten Luck.png (643KB, 448x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rotten Luck.png
643KB, 448x600px
>>50151658
>>
File: space_precinct_2.jpg (124KB, 640x380px) Image search: [Google]
space_precinct_2.jpg
124KB, 640x380px
>>50151807
Last warning - Hetero the fuck up
>>
>>50151809
Read the heroism spell
>>
>>50151788
Well, I was just hoping to do a Lizardfolk Cleric, though now a Sourge Aasimmar Barbarian sounds really awesome with the new Zealot path
>>
>>50151823
Sorry dude, I'm too gay to say
>>
>>50151827
but that takes concentration and costs a spellslot/action.
>>
>>50151827
+5 health every round for a minute that eats concentration?
>>
>>50151809
It is quite a bit, but it won't make you immortal. A Champion recovers that much while under half health, and it has better armor and health.

Plus, it's only equal to their current Ki, meaning it slowly diminishes as you use abilities.
>>
>>50151856
>>50151862
Its also a level 1 spell
>>
>>50151894
Yeah, which at the levels you might ever use it at give you 2-3 temp hp (that don't stack) every round for 10 rounds. That takes concentration.
>>
>>50151918
10 temp HP per round, which does not stack with itself or other sources I remind you, is not going to break the game at level 20. At best it will protect you from one attack. Hell, it's not uncommon for CR 2 enemies to do 10+ damage on a single attack.
>>
>>50150588
>intelligence is a shit stat
Yes. If the artisan's tools actually did something it would be more appealing.
>Strength is a shit stat.
Yes. It's pretty much only good for shoving and grappling.
>Charisma is a shit stat
It can be irritating both for the GM and other players if the person with the stats to be party face is a stupid faggot.
>>
>>50151371
Get level 5 first. Get those level 3 spells.

And seriously, you can only multiclass in druid and cleric, and the only reason you'd multiclass really is to get heavy armour or something.

You could consider a level in cleric for medium/heavy armour/shields/heals if needed at level 6.
>>
>>50151681
>can't sleep without dying immediately
>spiral endlessly into delirium due to exhaustion, but still endlessly angry and alive
>researchers try to understand how the fuck this guy can keep going
>they all die in their attempts, either from having their heads chopped or falling into the same madness
>become some sort of demigod of madness and anger in your endless delirium
>>
>>50151952
No it's not going to break the game, but I'm telling you your comparison is utterly stupid.

>>50151963
Heheheh.
>>
>>50151963
Wouldn't the exhaustion penalties eventually force you into unconsciousness though?
>>
>>50151985
Wasn't my comparison, but you are excused because my reading comprehension is shit.
>>
>>50151963
He can easily die and be resurrected for free only to continue his endless rage crusade
>>
File: exhaust.png (18KB, 353x123px) Image search: [Google]
exhaust.png
18KB, 353x123px
>>50151992
nope, exhaustion goes straight from you are fucking useless to death
>>50152010
gotta stop that unending rage before you can kill him, anon (there's definitely ways to do that)
>>
>>50151731
>>50151754
Don't be like that.
>>
>>50151992
>>50152041
Greater restoration also gets rid of exhaustion levels if you're worried about that
>>
>>50151692
No good suggestions but how about this:

>Obdurate as stone: You ignore the level of exhaustion you’d gain otherwise. You can’t use this ability again until you complete a long rest.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>50151963
>Move speed 0
>Can only move by shoving self 5ft every 6 seconds
>Can't concentrate ever, thoughts constantly darting around
>You are now a slow, immortal animal
>>
File: tonberry8-b.jpg (14KB, 310x271px) Image search: [Google]
tonberry8-b.jpg
14KB, 310x271px
>>50152098
Congrats /tg/

You just invented Tonberries
>>
>>50152098
>>50152126
Sadly, the only death you're prevented from dying is a death caused by death saving throws - exhaustion level 6 doesn't offer death saving throws - it just kills you outright.
Same with quivering palm - it would just kill the barb even if he were raging, since those things don't interact with death saving throws.
>>
>>50151963
And this is how the Angry Marines were born.
>>
>>50152133
You also die if your hp reaches negative (total hp/2), or was it negative (total hp)?
>>
>>50152174
if a single hit would take you below your HP max in the negatives, it kills you no questions asked. otherwise you stick at 0 hp and dying
>>
>>50152174
At level 20 that's actually just impossible if you're a barbarian with 8 or more constitution though, unless something literally saps your hp down to a point where you can die from massive damage.
>>
>>50152195
Doesn't mummy rot lower your max hp total? Actually, mummy rot just kills you if you reach 0 from it, but what if you're at 0 and get mummy rot?
>>
What's the verdict on Wizard's UAs?
>>
>>50152247
There are a number of things that can lower your max HP. There are also a number of things that kill you outright at 0 HP without offering death saves.
They're still very very rare compared to the whole rest of the game though.
>>
>>50152260
The whole one of them?
It's overly good and needs to be a bit restricted. Else you're just a *way* better cleric than a cleric.
>>
>have 22 hp at lvl 4
>lightning bolt
>get hit for 34

Well fuck

Is 22
Hp low for lvl 4? I have 12 con
>>
>>50152272
Even if nothing kills ya, after the first long rest spent raging instead of sleeping, you get half speed, so the entire party is slowed down on their journey, meaning a 3 days march to reach a wedding to crash becomes a 5 day ride to eat some leftover wedding cake. Or it would if they didn't drop to 0 at some exhaustion level. Although after the first rest your cleric could easily have gotten res ready, doesn't even need components.
>>
>>50152325
It's average for a d8 Hit die class
>>
>>50152332
Greater restoration kills exhaustion levels
>>
So if barbs can rage forever at 15th i think a 20 zealot barb forever, constantly deal 1d6+10 damage around him and never die unless he took twice his hp in a single hit

Or was disintegrated
>>
>>50152298
There's more than one of them, brah.
>>
>>50152414
Theurge
>>
>>50152414
>>50152425
Artificer
>>
>>50152407
>Tasha's Hideous Laughter

What now motherfucker
>>
>>50152407
Assuming constant access to greater restoration, yes. Kinda.
>>
>>50152407
Sorry just his total hp as he is at 0

Honestly its bad just let the barb not be knocked unconscious at zero while raging
>>
>>50152452
Why?
It's hilarious.
>>
>>50152343
>character dies
>"fuck, let me reroll.."
>end of round, dm lets me introduce my character
>a man on a horse gallops up to the battlefield, hands glowing as you hear him shouting a spell
>the three orcs you were fighting fall asleep
>"hello gentleman, my name is Graxian, Breksin's twin brother. I taught him everything he knew about wizardy"
>"in fact, you can just call me Breksin, and he since he told me so much about you all, it's like he never died!"
>>
File: Let Go.jpg (37KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Let Go.jpg
37KB, 960x960px
>>50152425
Theurge is the most retarded thing to exist in this edition

>Arcane High Priest
At 14th level,you gain your chosen domain’s 17th level benefits. Your academic nature and understanding of magic and doctrine allow you to master this ability sooner than a cleric of your domain.
>>
>>50152469
>When the wizard takes up all the space in the party carriage with his barrels of cloned bodies
>>
>>50152436
>>50152407
Even better, Otto's Irresistible Dance.
>>
Barbarian/Rogue becomes ever better as they introduce a Path that combines perfectly with swashbuckler.
>>
>>50152503
>Even better, Otto's Irresistible Dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch2b9MOPGYM
>>
>>50152469
Yes, yes. A mound of dead bards.

If you were a wizard than 22 HP at 4th level with Con 12 is 4 HP above average
>>
>>50152488
Wizard 14 features are generally all *better* than cleric 17 features, so that's actually fine.
The problem is that they get access to *the whole fucking cleric spell list*. That's the real issue.
>>
File: questionmark girl8.jpg (92KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
questionmark girl8.jpg
92KB, 1000x1000px
>>50152512
>If you were a wizard than 22 HP at 4th level with Con 12 is 4 HP above average
7 HP at first level
+5 at second level = 12
+5 at third level = 17
+5 at fourth level = 22
>>
What magic or immunities do you need to survive the surface and interior of the sun and the vaccum of space?
>>
>>50152532
I assumed you rolled at level up instead of taking fixed amount, which is actually higher than average when rolling.
And yeah, forgot about 1st level = max HP thing
>>
>>50152565
Fire immunity.
Doesn't need to breathe.
At least.
>>
File: 5e hp.png (52KB, 279x80px) Image search: [Google]
5e hp.png
52KB, 279x80px
>>50152593
I don't know why people ever roll.
This is better.
>>
>>50152133
Quivering Palm wouldn't work, it just sets their HP to zero on a failed save which would only cause them to make death saving throws

Power Word Kill though...
>>
In your opinion, which martial class does the most damage? Which caster?
>>
Our party found a magical shield, which apparently belonged to a dwarven king of old. The human archery fighter in our group quickly grabs it and claims it for himself, with a dwarf sword and board fighter (me) in the group, and refuses to relinquish it.

I was never so close to PKing someone in a game before. Anyone had something similar happen?
>>
>>50152642
I thought it killed them outright
Yeah it just takes them to 0, so quivering palm wouldn't work

>>50152668
Polearm master paladins do the most damage of all martials
Highest damage caster is arcane trickster
>>
>>50150628
>The fact that it only consumes a reaction makes it even better
It also consumes your rage.
>>
>>50152695
Player's like that are fucking tools.
Jesus Christ man, there are other people you're playing with.
>>
>>50152668
PAM+GWM Barbarian or Fighter after level 11

Caster is Evocation wizard
>>
>>50152706
Why paladin and not something like barbarian which gets bonus rage dmg?
>>
>>50152695
Just talk to the player and DM. It's very clear who should have it.
>>
>>50152724
PAM Paladins outdamage barbs though
>>
>>50152739
Paladins get +1d8 on every hit for free dude.
They can also cast spells like holy fervor and elemental weapon which just straight add to their damage every hit.
>>
>>50152743
What mechanic allows this? I thought the rage damage would help...
>>
>>50150635
That's because most DMs give their players nigh unlimited carrying capacity and ignore the rules on jumping and will always just have people make a check (and then won't give high STR characters the jump distance they should get).
>>
>>50152754
Improved divine smite. Level 11.
>>
>>50152695
Fucking kill that player. And I do mean player, not character.
>>
>>50152760
>>50152752
Cool, thanks guys
>>
>>50152695
Buy it off him, then kill him in his sleep
>>
>>50152706
>Highest damage caster is arcane trickster
tell me more.
>>50152739
improved divine smite on every hit plus the bonus action attack, works with great weapon master and divine weapon/vow of enmity helps to counter the -5 to hit plus huge damage on smite crits?
>>
>>50151591
Gandalf also wasn't a Wizard in the modern D&D sense. He cast like two spells all told and they were both essentially Thunderwave.
>>
>>50152841
I prefer devotion to vengeance in PAM builds desu. Human, +2 Str level 4, +2 Str level 8, +2 Cha level 12, +2 Cha level 16, and then one more to tool around with at 19 for ASIs. +5 to every hit that I'm not limited to attacking one enemy for (even if I have to action it) feels better to me than advantage against a single target. I can get advantage through other means, and PAM gives me an outlet for my reaction most of the time anyway (making the one feature from vengeance not so hot).
>>
>>50152851
I think he casts more stuff in the books, but a lot of his magic is closer to what druids do than anything else. It also isn't really anything too high level either. He also is technically an angel disguised as a wizard.

Gandalf is basically a terrible example of a wizard.
>>
Best class for DPR varies from DM to DM

If your DM just let you nova through the day, tere is no reason to not play classes with daily resources.

Palas are better than fighters and Barbs if your DM doesnt put enough enemies, so you can smite almost everything

If you follow DMG guidelines for encounters per day, Barbs and Fighters have better damage

Lets not forget that Barbs got advantage at every attack, which increases DPR dramaticaly
>>
>>50152851
>D&D wizard is based on Gandalf
>lol Gandalf isn't a D&D wizard

Weird
>>
>>50152851
If Gandalf was allowed to reveal the full extent of his power, how powerful would he have been?
>>
File: roll20 q3 2016.png (182KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
roll20 q3 2016.png
182KB, 500x731px
http://blog.roll20.net/post/152869666945/the-orr-group-industry-report-q3-2016

5e continues to grow, 3.PF continues to shrink (by relative share).
>>
>>50151256
First off I would not kill the players, rather have them become incapacitated in a worst case scenario. This allows for some drama on whether they may have contracted the curse of the were-creature.

As far as making the hunt memorable.. If you play in an area with a dimmer for lighting, gradually turn the lights down the further the party traverses into the woods. Be descriptive. Describe the landscape becoming foggy, dreamlike. Sounds become distorted. Tracks of wolves or wolf-like creatures. Howls in the darkness. The trees begin to crowd the path, clinging and grabbing at clothing and hair. The body of a forest animal mauled beyond recognition. Gore, blood, and guts strewn about the vicinity. Have the NPC soldiers start to break rank/lose morale. The party has to convince them to stay together. Have an NPC 'vanish'. Red eyes in the mist. The sound of wind moaning through the trees.

The Dark Powers invest Paladins and Clerics with power so they should not lose out on their abilities nor should they suffer for it. It is not 'corrupt' to use. Dumb undead should most likely attempt to avoid the two. Smart undead should most likely attempt to assassinate/kill the two. Depending on the village, townsfolk should either love them or hate them.
>>
>>50152891
PF still boasts a huge number of gamers/players though.
>>
File: Wat.png (65KB, 373x572px) Image search: [Google]
Wat.png
65KB, 373x572px
People were interested in Spelljammer products. They better not be as terribly written and stupid as pic related.
>>
>>50152841
Arcane trickster who GFB's/BB's every round does a whoooole lotta damage between that and sneak attack, + you can concentrate on damaging spells like flaming sphere and storm sphere that give you a bonus action damage outlet every turn.
>>
>>50152469
This is like that one Broken Lizard movie about Oktoberfest or whatever, where the fat guy dies and then his "twin" showed up to replace him.
>>
>>50152512
>A mound of dead bards.
I remember that film, too.
>>
>>50152611
Because it's better is why most DMs don't allow it.
>>
>>50152889
He's essentially an angel. He's ridiculous. He only uses real magic in the books during the balrog fight, but there's no one around to see it, so whatever.

>>50152888
I said "in the modern sense", where everything fantasy is fucking Tolkien. The origin of D&D and its Wizards lie in shit like Conan, Barsoom, and Fafhrd. Those are stories of mighty martials running around and kicking ass, with wizards being quite rare and generally bad guys; and when they're on the good guys' side, it's as advisors or patrons, not travelling companions (because they themselves are still weak little babies if they can't frighten peasants into cowering or hide behind a thousand illusions and traps in their own domain). Even Gandalf falls into this category, because you certainly don't see him teleporting everywhere and shooting lightning bolts out of his ass whenever an orc shows up, as any modern fantasy mage or D&D Wizard would be doing.
>>
>>50152987
>Because it's better is why most DMs don't allow it
I've yet to encounter a single DM who doesn't allow players to take the average. And I've played many *MANY* games in my time.
Also, that'd be a fucking stupid reason. Jesus Christ, random MM entries get average HP per hit die. You being a fucking PC hero nets you an average of one HP more for every two hit die over a random MM entry with the same hit die.
>>
>>50153016
>tfw I give my PCs max HP
i'm not sorry for making Barbarians feel like they are mighty meat tanks compared to the scrawny Wizard, even before resistance from rage
>>
>>50153016
But then twinks like you wouldn't rage like a baby and that's half the fun of D&D.
>>
File: cool, dawg.jpg (37KB, 775x775px) Image search: [Google]
cool, dawg.jpg
37KB, 775x775px
>>50152041
I had an idea actually, in a dark fantasy type setting that resurrection spells add 1d6/8/12 levels of exhaustion depending on the spell level, except for true resurrection, of course

Any thoughts?
>>
>>50153027
You can certainly do that. I actually have taken to letting d8's through d10's take 6 and 7 hp every level respectively, and letting barbs take 9.
I'm sure you've noticed you've needed to make encounters a bit tougher to challenge them though

>>50153039
I don't play with people who have ill-will toward people like that
>>
>>50153027
>max HP
do you like long boring fights, because that's how you get long boring fights
or low risk fights, which are not that fun either
>>
>>50153027
i give them three levels of max hp, then they can roll or use the avg. which makes them less prone to dying early in the story but not indestructible later on.

that said, i think i never managed to ko the barbarian.
>>
>>50153042
>resurrect
>roll 6+
>die immediately
I mean that could easily play into your whole thing, but it does seem kind of a dick move to waste the components like that
>>
>>50153070
It actually opens up much tougher and more interesting encounters as a possibility early in the game. I've liked giving my players a bit more HP quite alot as a DM.
>>
>>50153094
That's kinda the point, that the caster is putting themselves at great risk to bring someone back from the dead, so no npc cleric would be willing to do it for the party, and adds weight to death that the base game seems to be lacking
That being said, gold usually isn't that hard to come by in the setting I'm talking about, magic and magic items are most rare
>>
File: ragebeyonddeath.png (53KB, 413x209px) Image search: [Google]
ragebeyonddeath.png
53KB, 413x209px
>>50149736
Personally I think this shit had a lot of potential. It's so fucking flavorful, this is exactly what being a Barbarian is about, this is what makes the class different from any other martial in D&D canon as a whole.

Fighter's have their martial prowess, Ranger's are expert skirmishers and survivalists, Paladins are pretty much favored souls, but Barbarians are just fucking Avatars of Rage, a fucking primal force that unleashes itself on its enemy without any kind of restrain or consideration whatsoever. Damn, as I player, I would even like having my Barbarian fall in the battlefield while raging, something along the lines of "well, I'm going down guys...but I'll bring all these fuckers with me".

Of course, RAW, I thing it lacks enough limitations. Having some kind of mild healing turns this into some kind of combo bullshit that really diminishes the flavor, but it's workable, I think they had a great idea but didn't focused it well.
>>
>>50150628
The resistance from storm soul is constant.
>>
>>50152724
>PAM+GWM Barbarian
Would it be worth taking the two feats over ASI? Is the idea that you use a pike/halberd and get the rage damage and the +10 on the bonus attack. Which feat would you take first?
>>
>>50153094
that, and I have a magical item that I was planning on giving them a magical item that brings players back, but has a very high chance of casting reincarnate, and a slim chance of just reanimating the corpse
It also has an equal chance of casting true resurrection and summoning an avatar of death
also people would be willing to kill them over it if they find out they have it
>>
>>50153110
But the thing is that you give them stronger encounters, but their damage levels stays lower compared to overleveled hp level, so instead of fast-paced and intence fights you get mmo-level of damage-sponge bosses.
Might as well just start a campaign on a higher level, that way you have interesting encounters from the start and not make combat a drag.
>>
>>50153063
>>50153070
I don't use creatures as-is from the MM because they're either ridiculous or trash. Never any vulnerabilities, attacks that are simply game-ending if they land and thus necessitate everyone run around like a fucking chicken or rely entirely on save-or-suck to avoid getting fucked by the whims of a d20, or grunts that are no threat but purely a slog to grind through.

Things die or flee when I decide they've had enough, they don't have +9 AB and three attacks when I don't think the party's average AC or durability is that great, they do non-ideal things if the rolls have been beating the shit out of the players all night, or unexpected "help" arrives if the party can't stop rolling 20s.

The goal of the game is to be fun and engaging all the time, not to hand-hold, not to punish, not to try and TPK, and not to stick rigidly to some scripted adventure that assumes a balanced party that retreats to take a nap inside Leomund's Tiny Hut or that a village of giants would be unaware of a brawl in their main hall despite all of their own screams because the designer realized it'd be impossible if everything came running.
>>
>>50153139
Oh, somehow didn't realise you meant exhaustion on the caster

Would the spell at least work even if the caster died?
>>
>>50153153
the limitation is that it only kicks in at level 14 so even the above-average group will never see it

as always, level 7 is what you plan for, level 8 is a nice surprise to give you an edge over the campaign-end BBEG, and level 10-11 is your epilogue capstone if you are in some kind of bizarro world where five people can still make 3-4 hours for each other once a week for more than two months without imploding because bill's fucking daughter has tonsilitis BILL YOU FUCKER
>>
>>50153205
Yeah, it would, but then you'd have the healer of the party/ of of the few in the land that can raise dead being dead themselves
>>
>>50153191
Damage doesn't scale much in 5e to begin with
My combats are fast and dynamic and fun, so it's fine if they're spread out over a higher number of rounds
It's very anticlimactic and I and my players think uninteresting when every single combat ends before the 20 second mark
>>
For DMs are there any class or anything you hate dealing with when It comes to players you DM?
Stuff like Psionics?
>>
>>50153197
More elaboration needed.
>>
>>50152947
GFB/BB?
What spells do you think work best?
>>
>>50153248
I can't speak for psionics in 5E since no one's tried them yet, but I fucking wish I could have dealt with nothing but psi-users in my 3X days instead of wizards.
>>
>>50153259
I make everything up.
>>
>>50153153
>Of course, RAW, I thing it lacks enough limitations. Having some kind of mild healing turns this into some kind of combo bullshit that really diminishes the flavor, but it's workable, I think they had a great idea but didn't focused it well.

I think it's rather fine since by level 14, almost any class is a minor god. Wizards casting resurrection spells, Illusory Reality, forever invisible shadow monks, Warlocks throwing out endless level 5 fireballs, arcane tricksters using robes of the arch magi etc.
>>
>>50153320
>fighters swinging a whopping one more time
>>
>>50153262
I like shield and absorb elements for 1st level spells, invisibility/mirror image/misty step for 2nd, counterspell and haste for third, greater invis and dimension door for 4th as my picks that I usually always pick up. Others are whatever I feel like.
>>
>>50153197
Never had problems with mosters from MM myself tbqh, maybe you are just using the wrong encounter lvl, who knows.
Either way, if you homebrew them, why even bother with maxing health, just make enemies deal as much damage as you like and thats it.
>>50153241
Well, I don't know, you get some powerfull shit with some classes as you level, plus equip gets better.
If its fun for you and your players it's ok I guess, but I think wouldn't it be better to just make encounters themselves more well balanced, than just simply turning players into health sponges?
>>
>>50153084
It seems your starting at lv 1. 3 onwards it is not difficult to stay alive as a PC. Stop starting at 1. If then the party dies anyway you have a dumb party or bad encounter set up skills.
>>
>>50153356
They're not turned into sponges - they're just less susceptible to getting fucked by RNG turn 0.
In most encounters I plan to be hard, I always have at least one player reduced to 0 (usually more) - they just aren't reduced to 0 on round 1 or round 0. The discrepancy between some class's beefiness necessitates that I put some hard-hitting things out there to be challenging, but I generally always want them to be able to respond, react, and adapts to circumstances, and having them have higher HP values is one way I can do that. A very, very simple way of doing such at that.
>>
>>50153356
Because the larger health values are, the less variable damage impacts it.

If you have 10 health and a creature hits you with a 1d10 weapon, you have a 10% chance of dying. If you have 20 health and a creature hits you with a 1d20 weapon, you only have a 5% chance of dying. There is more balance and interesting things that can be done within larger numbers that you can't play around with in smaller ones.

It's like trying to balance guns in an FPS with a TTK of 0.2 seconds. You just don't get much distinction out of that.
>>
>>50153346

It starts adding up if you were making something like a polearm master or a sharpshooter. Sharpshooter fighter with a long bow is gonna be dropping 3 1d8+15 shots a turn while a polearm great weapon master will be doing 3 1d10+15 and an additional 1d4+15. It's not as impressive in terms of utility but that damage can add up fast.
>>
>>50153320
But then it becomes just a combo possibility, a tool for a build and not a cinematic ability, at least that's my opinion, but I see your point.
>>
File: Goddamnit.png (29KB, 558x364px) Image search: [Google]
Goddamnit.png
29KB, 558x364px
There's a literal breeding planet run by illithids within the Spelljammer setting.

Who the fuck wrote this drivel?
>>
>>50153469
You keep calling it a combo, I assume you mean with healing. Dying while raging and then being healed will not prevent deach after the rage ends.
>>
>>50153235
Yes, it would definitely put the party in a pickle. But if you're going with >>50153185 and 'death/resurrection' is a theme of the campaign you're planning then it would probably work.

I mean, you've gotta base it on what you know of your players and how they'd react. Some parties will love the added risk, some will be afraid that their route back to the game after dying has been cut off.
>>
File: 1471572317183.jpg (1MB, 1420x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1471572317183.jpg
1MB, 1420x2000px
>>50153549
What do you have against breeding senpai?
>>
>>50153549
>he thinks creatures as intelligent as the illithid WOULDN'T have human breeding facilities
oh yes it's much more efficient to let them build little kingdoms capable of putting up resistance and squashing them periodically whenever you're hungry
>>
>>50153549
What, exactly, are you expecting from a setting about flying through space on a boat and making deals with Hippo-men pirates?

It's the setting based on the Reading Rainbow opening, son.
>>
>>50150628
>Divine Fury is better than Storm of Fury, more damage, better damage type and it deals at the end of your turn, even considering the lesser range.
It also hurts all creatures instead of only enemies.
>>
File: darkelfvsalien.png (3MB, 1280x857px) Image search: [Google]
darkelfvsalien.png
3MB, 1280x857px
>>50153549
If humans were smart they'd have level-up planets where adventurers can go to club baby orcs on the head.
>>
>>50153603
>>50153615
Nothing against breeding, but goddamn is the majority of that supplement awful.

>>50153642
>Reading Rainbow
I'm not American, dude. I don't know what that means.
>>
>>50153674
>Doesn't know Reading Rainbow
Take a look, it's in a book.
>>
>>50153674
>This nigga didn't have Reading Rainbow

This is why you don't get Spelljammer.
>>
>>50153549
That's pretty reasonable for Spelljammer. However, a 2e Paladin with only 16 Cha is absolutely unacceptable.
>>
>>50153674
>Isn't aware of Reading Rainbow
Is every other country illiterate?
>>
>>50153442
A better example might be 10 hp and 1d10 (10%) to 20 hp and 2d10 (1%).
>>
File: ithastobethisway.jpg (331KB, 1438x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ithastobethisway.jpg
331KB, 1438x1080px
>>50153674
>he's never flown twice as high as a butterfly in the sky
>>
>>50153441
>>50153442
But it also adds an element of uncertainty to a fight which makes it interesting, it's supposed to have variaton and tension.
Honestly I don't know what group you play with or how you do it. But to me personally it just seems like such a crutch, to change a core game mechanic, when you, as a DM, have dosens of ways to influence the combat, from enemies characteristics and encounter conditions in general, to equip of characters. Like not to put enemies who can one shot you on round 0 if you don't want it to happen. Or maybe if the difference between hps of various classes were not so big, you wouldn't have a problem of them one shoting weaker ones.
I mean it's you choise, but I just don't get this approach. I've never seen people actually max everone HPs for some reason and never had things you describe to be such a problem.
>>
>>50153693
>>50153697
>>50153715
That opening is fucking terrible. You should all be ashamed.
>>
>>50153821
fucking europoors
>>
>>50153793
>But it also adds an element of uncertainty to a fight which makes it interesting
There's nothing interesting about being put unconscious before your character can do a single thing. Just because you have a much better chance of not being completely dunked outside your own control doesn't detract from the deadliness or suspense of a combat situation.
As a DM I understand that it's not fun for my players to be powerless to affect things, so I avoid creating situations where such is the case. One of the ways I do that is to give them some HP buffer. It's a very simple, easy, straightforward solution that benefits everyone.
>>
>>50153821
The face of modern illiteracy

Pity his inability to do anything and go anywhere
>>
Do I miss something or is the way how level 6 and higher spells are handled for warlocks just simply worse than the other classes. I don't see anything they get for it that they have only one use per longrest, no flexibility and a small spell selection.
>>
Class/Multiclass that's closest to a Plague Doctor?
>>
>>50153793
A Wizard taking his average loses 2 HP, or 33%, from his maximum rolls.
A Barbarian loses 5 HP, or 41%.

At level 10, the Average Wizard has 42, and the Average Barbarian has 75, a disparity of 33. This Barb doesn't even have twice the Wizard's health, CON being equal.
The Max Wizard has 60 and the Max Barb has 120, or double that fucker's health. A higher average for higher HP classes makes their tankiness more distinct from the lower hit die classes', since there's not much fucking around you can do with their numbers without making them super fragile.
>>
I don't know why but this thread is hilarious for some reason.
>>
>>50153889
It is, but that's intentional.
It's not very much worse either.
>>
>>50153715
>>50153874
>not watching children's shows = illiteracy
That's not how logic works
>>
>>50153893
Trickery cleric?
Death cleric?
>>
>>50153889

That's the point of being a warlock in exchange for being able to spam 3 fireballs per short rest. Even a 20th level wizard casts the same number of 8th and 9th level spells as the warlock at that point, and only gets 1 more 6th and 7th in exchange.
>>
>>50153893
As in curing the sick or using disease as a weapon?

If the former, any background that gives medicine and alchemist tool proficiency.

If the latter, Death domain cleric.
>>
>>50150533
Elemental adept is a generally good option for anyone who plans to use a lot of fire spells, and if you don't frankly I think you picked the wrong domain. Itll help you become the !notsorceror you always wanted.
>>
So, question.

After playing a few games, and reading through the monster book/volo's guide, how do you guys not take a beating at higher levels? Hell, how do you not take a beating at lower levels?

So, example. We just started a game where most of us are heavy armor users. Most of us have shields. The lowest AC we have so far is 18. We were fighting ghouls. Fairly standard stuff, from my belief. So at +3 modifier on their strength, with an additional +5 to hit from Claws attack, these guys were fucking us up.

So, flip three pages over in the Monster Manual. Cloud Giants have a strength modifier of +8, and a +12 modifier on their morningstar. That's already, just base, breaking through Plate armor and a shield, the highest tier armor. The base damage for that is 21. You'd have to be almost max level to even think about surviving this thing, and it's only CR 9. I know there's shit way stronger than this in the book.

So is my DM playing it wrong? Or is there something we're missing to not get instagibbed by shit.
>>
>>50153943
>Not having friends to know and ways to grow
This is why you can't be anything.
>>
>>50153943
>not even being aware of Reading Rainbow before this very moment
>not illiterate

How does your family feel about you having to dictate posts to them?
>>
>>50153951
>>50153947
Death Cleric it is then
>>
>>50153979
>Elemental adept is a generally good option
It's not though. It's very weak mathematically - you're much better off with other things.
>>
>>50153943
It is.
But don't take my word for it...
>opens book
>>
>>50153986
A creature's ability score is factored into it's to-hit bonus. The ghouls have +5 to hit with their claws, not +8. The cloud giant has +12 to hit, not +20.
>>
>>50153986
You only use their modifier. You aren't supposed to add their strength again.
>>
>>50153986

The ghouls only get a +5 on that attack TOTAL, it's not an additional +5 on top of their +3. Monster attacks work the same as PCs - proficiency + stat mod. If he's adding it together then yes your DM is playing it very wrong.

And giants just fucking hurt when they hit you, that's their thing. You wanna tackle them with debuffs before going into melee unless you're rocking an eldritch knight or something.
>>
>>50153986
You disarm them, use the dodge action or otherwise give them disadvantage, lock them down, be a barbarian raging, etc etc.
There are a lot of ways to not get dunked in 5e outside sheer AC.
>>
>>50153994
Ah, yes. The trademark American inability to perceive those who aren't thenselves. How could I forget?
>>
>>50153943
>Europoor not understanding humor
I see, so the problem isn't that you're illiterate, but that you lack reading comprehension.
>>
>>50154056
>He could have gone anywhere and done anything
>He chose to be salty in /5eg/
>>
>>50154102
More like bored
>>
>>50153768
Stats for a phaser, /5eg/?
>>
Can a knocked out character hear?
If not, does that mean that the Rally maneuver is ineffective at getting the healer back up and runner?
>>
>>50154132
Eldritch blast cantrip.
>>
>>50153873
>There's nothing interesting about being put unconscious before your character can do a single thing
It's fun if there is a small chance of it happening and it actually happened. And if there is a big chance of it happening it may mean that the encounter is too strong and you shouldn't be surprised by it. It's just to me it seems like a such a crutch that I've never seen a need of and which problems can be dealt with more convential methods, but it's just my experience.
>>50153896
>CON being equal
Maybe it's also a part of the problem? As far as Im concerned usually barbs tend to have a higher con.
You know that there are like armor saves and equipment that you can throw at players, which is i'd say somewhat expected for a high level characters. That would increase melee survivability without turning it into a hp attrition war.
>>
>>50154132
Combination Laser Pistol/Wand of Paralysis?
>>
>>50154148
Temporary HP when your real HP is at 0 doesn't help to begin with.
>>
File: kenku_by_tghermit-d60wnp1.jpg (110KB, 800x679px) Image search: [Google]
kenku_by_tghermit-d60wnp1.jpg
110KB, 800x679px
A kindly Kenku wizard who learned he can fly all he likes with the power of reading, and seeks to spread literacy and love of reading throughout the world.
>>
>>50154152
>It's fun if there is a small chance of it happening and it actually happened
I completely disagree.
Having a 5% chance of something that is never fun happening is not more fun than a world in which there is a 0% chance of that unfun thing happening.
>>
>>50154132
Literally in DMG. Stun setting is non-lethal damage
>>
>>50154131
Yes, truly you're not salty about being an illiterate europoor with no imagination, jealous of the glorious Americans with their reading comprehension and masculinity.

>>50154148
I fainted once after running a marathon, and I couldn't hear anything. But hey, I don't know. Either way it's temporary hp and wouldn't help with not being unconscious.
>>
>>50150533
Ritual Caster (Wizard) and take Find Familiar so you have something mobile to channel your heal/buff spells through.

If you're absolutely dead set against anything that will offset your disadvantage, just take Observant for the wisdom boost + annoying your DM.
>>
>>50154195
>jealous of the glorious Americans with their reading comprehension and masculinity.
Okay m8
Also, your Mr. Rogers ain't shit
>>
>>50152987
Almost every game I've played has enforced average health, along with point buy attributes.

The best way to do it.
>>
>>50154183
Your fun is a boring fun.
>>
File: 1423257334635.jpg (20KB, 450x352px) Image search: [Google]
1423257334635.jpg
20KB, 450x352px
>>50150533
>base human sucks
>when variant human effectively gets 2/3 fewer feats
>>
>>50154232
I don't think it's "boring" to desire a world in which I don't have to fear that a restaurant doesn't give me a shit-burger when I order a hamburger; I think that's desirable.
Sorry =/
>>
>>50154225
Meh. Standard array, option of rolling or average HP on a per-level basis.
>>
>>50154223
Woah, buddy, you stop talking shit about Mr. Rogers right now or we'll actually vote in Trump tomorrow just to teach you a lesson and then die alongside you in radioactive hellfire
>>
>>50152946
>The most they ever ask for is pregnancy and other medical time off.
Wow, that could be read really weird.
>>
I think it's time to run a Reading Rainbow themed 5e campaign
>>
>>50154286
Sooo... Spelljammer
>>
>>50149736
Any support for Dexbarian?
>>
>>50154174
Ah man, that would be great. Maybe he could hand out books to kids and build libraries in small towns.

Also he could be named Levar Birdton
>>
>>50154260
>implying Clinton isn't itching already to start a nuclear war with Russia
>>
>>50154026
>>50154028
>>50154039

Fuck me billy. I'll let him know this asap. Cant fault him though, we're all brand new to this. Learning experiences for everybody.

>>50154051
So it's purely about deciding to attack or dodge? Take my dude, he's a cleric. I've seen nothing giving him a bonus action, so either I attack the dude, or just dodge. It would seem to me in this instance dodge is the bad choice, considering now its less dps on the mob, and it will be alive longer to fuck more people up.
>>
>>50154286
>>50154297
I was excited for Spelljammer, because people were constantly saying good things about it.

It's horseshit for the most part.
>>
>>50152946
>misandrists can't exist
nigga we have real world mythological goddesses and shit who wanted to go around chopping off dicks, this isn't new or part of some SJW conspiracy
fuck off
>>
>>50152935
>PF still boasts a huge number of people who can't find a game because they refuse to play anything else

I know because several of my friends are like this.
>>
>>50153357
i like the leveling experience from 1 to 3, as my group is all newbies trying out new things, and i know they won't know read enough of their characters to know all their stuff if we start at higher levels.

that lets them try a few options first, then expand on more options, with the choosing of the class archetype as a pivot point for the story, as i assume, the devs intended.

also i like the extra hp buffer so i can throw at them stronger foes, and more challenging encounters early on when their attention is at their peak without them going down on one hit. i need to be able to poke them once so they understand the risk, but not downing them immediately as they learn nothing from that.
>>
>>50154313
>I've seen nothing giving him a bonus action
Learn spiritual weapon senpai.
Dodge is good when you're sure you're gonna be the target of attacks that might greatly hurt you or bring you down, since you causing enemies to miss through disadvantage and thus being alive as a target allows other people to do stuff. There's a time and place for the dodge action.
>>
>>50153654
>it's a fantastic artists with terrible fetishes episode
>>
>>50154316
It's weird and was never as good as it could've been (they got too stuck on connecting other settings than developing their own) but it's gonzo. I think people like the idea of Spelljammer more than the actual thing.

That's actually why 4E's Astral Sea might be a better implementation of SJ. It's still weird but more coherent and more of its own thing
>>
>>50154344
Why didn't you stop their autism? You could've prevented this.
>>
>>50154373
>Why didn't you stop their autism?
How? It's not like forced institutionalization actually helps
>>
>>50154358
>tfw full plate + shield Monk
>attacking every turn while using ki to Dodge
feels good
>>
>>50154255
Nice false equivalency, but ok.
I personally don't experience low chance fails in a game so drammatic.
>>
File: cat thinking.jpg (85KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
cat thinking.jpg
85KB, 800x534px
would it be very interesting in a campaign i'm dming to do something that can't be done in the game's system

having a pc play a high stakes poker match, and if they lost, they wouldn't be killed but magically turned into a card (they would know that from losing that would happen to them as the npc running the match would tell them about how they have a collection of people they've turned into cards)
>>
>>50154313

Hey no sweat we all start with the game somewhere. And dodge has its place - for example last night three of us were fighting 4 wyrmlings. Normally I use my monk's bonus action to attack more but in this case, avoiding damage was more important so I used it to dodge instead. Dodge is very powerful when used right, as you do exactly 0 DPS while you're unconscious.
>>
>>50154372
>Travel the border of the material plane long enough in the astral sea, and you will find other worlds
Works out fine until you get to Athas.
>>
>>50154395
It's not a low chance of failure. You not dying in the first round of combat doesn't mean you have a low chance of failure.
It means your character isn't out of combat before you even get to do anything in a way that's completely outside your control.
Lots of vindictive sadistic DMs get some kind of sick pleasure from taking agency away from their players.
I don't.
>>
>>50154402
Athas is and always was not like the rest.

In 2E it was outside of any known phlogiston streams and therefore almost impossible to reach.
In 4E isn't it an alternate timeline ?
>>
>>50154372
Thanks brah, I'll check that out. Wizards have the opportunity to do something good with the Spelljammer chassis, they've constantly referencing aliens and otherworlders.
>>
>>50154373
>>50154384
I tried. I am already running 1 5e game and was going to run a side game for them. One was actually into it but a that girl ruined it all for reasons that have nothing to do with edition wars.
>>
>>50154434
All of that was done to keep Athasian PCs from winding up in Ravenloft.

Imagine that for a second.
Just five guys who don't give a flying FUCK about vampires or werewolves or anything else that goes bump in the night, because they've all seen far more horrifying shit and lived through worse. And now they have easy access to food, water, metal, and aren't on fire all the time? Holy shit, look out, they're running that place inside a year.
>>
Spelljammer is great and all, but the Patrician's choice of planar shenanigans is Eberron's manifest zones and the various planes being coterminous with geographical locations.
>>
>>50154298
Doesn't look like it, does anyone know a way to make a Dexbarian actually viable and not a gimmick? Any feats or multi class that can make it work?
>>
Amusingly, I just realized that Yuan-Ti pureblood characters ALSO get to ignore the RP penalties to being a monstrous race as the entire point of purebloods is that they are human enough to infiltrate human society. As long as you aren't dancing in a bikini, no one outside your group will actually know you're a pureblood.
>>
>>50154481
>not playing stock AD&D planes as they were intended
>infinite, coterminous, yet separate and of distinct size, with concrete locations and inclusions of other planes
Bopping around the Inner Planes alone is enough to keep a party busy for several lifetimes.
>>
>>50154478
Should they break too many toys, Dark Powers would smash them anyway. More like that was a way to prevent them from running all over Faerun or Greyhawk and even then I'm uncertain
>>
>>50154506
It's just bad senpai.
>>
>>50154509
>Implying the first town you come to isn't going to have comprehensive tests to deduce the race of every adventurer entering their town
>>
>>50154506

Dexbarian works wonders with rogue multiclassing. Go bugbear for more reach and extra surprise round damage and take the assassin archetype.
>>
>>50154528
The Dark Powers could try, and knowing Dark Sun, they'd probably manage to blow up Ravenloft's moon or some shit.
>>
>>50154525
>anyone in their mind
>going to the infinite planes of OH GOD IM ON FIRE/HEALSPLODING
>>
File: faggit.gif (129KB, 208x198px) Image search: [Google]
faggit.gif
129KB, 208x198px
>>50154536
>my games have mandatory penis inspection
Wew lad.
>>
File: bugbearmont.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bugbearmont.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>50154506
I'm not going to say this ISN'T a gimmick, but it is fun as shit and viable.
>>
>>50154536

>Comprehensive racial tests
>Yuan-Ti still crawling all up in every kingdom

No wonder non-variant humans are shit.
>>
>>50154422
I've never seen a situation of someone having any moderate probability of dying without doing anything. And casting some super ray of annihilation on the first round to one shot one of the players is kinda a dick move from a DM side anyway. You as a DM roll the shots after all and decide what enemy does.
And if in some of the early rounds the enemy rolls 20 two times and kills me with a critical I wouldn't even be mad. I mean I would, but I also would be able to enjoy the fun of the situation.
>>
What's the deal with Hadar, Thuban, Acamar, Delban? What are they and where can I find more about them?
Cheers.
>>
>>50151788
Kenku monk
>>
>>50154555
There's not a whole lot to do in HEALSPLOSION land (as far as anyone knows), but OH GOD IM ON FIRE is the most fun of all planes.
>>
>>50154358
Spiritual Weapons gives me a bonus action to move the weapon, not to dodge. Fair enough, it's a bonus action, but not accomplishing what I was thinking (Attack then bonus action dodge.)
>>
>>50154584
>I've never seen a situation of someone having any moderate probability of dying without doing anything
Camp for the night. Enemy stealth rolls beat party watch perception. Surprise round.
Not far fetched in the least.
>>
>>50154585
They are the names of real world stars.
http://www.pas.rochester.edu/~emamajek/WGSN/IAU-CSN.txt

They have no greater lore in D&D because the Great Old Ones and other spooky star-creatures and Far Realm entities are unknowable mysteries left to the DMs to fluff up.
>>
>>50154434
I'm reading the 4E campaign setting right now, and it says that
A: When you travel to the astral sea from Athas all you find is ruins and abominations.
B: Any real knowledge about other planes is locked in the sorc-kings vaults.
>>
>>50154615
Of course you don't get a bonus action dodge. Only monks get that, and they have to spend ki on it. Rightly fucking so too.
>>
>>50154316
I don't know who you're talking to, most people I encounter absolutely can't stand Spelljammer.
>>
>>50154585
Right. I forgot to post more names.

Armor of Agathys
You surround yourself in a sheath of black ice from a dark and doleful realm. It protects you from attack and radiates fierce cold

Flames of Phlegethos
Rivulets of clinging liquid fire appear and cascade over your target. Anything that is flammable ignites at once and burns long after the streams of magic fire fade away

Hunger of Hadar
You create a zone of complete, impermeable darkness filled with flying, fluttering, fanged shadows. The shadows rend at the very life force of creatures caught within

Tendrils of Thuban
From the frozen emerald seas under the star Thuban, you call forth dozens of glimmering green tentacles. Reaching down from overhead, they seize your enemies, draining the heat from their bodies and holding them immobile

Minions of Malbolge
You bring forth fire in the shape of small, infernal imps from Malbolge, sixth of the Nine Hells. They hover close around you and hurl themselves upon any enemy that dares to approach, searing with their fiery touch and driving foes away

Wrath of Acamar
You fire a ray of crackling black energy at your enemy. At its touch, he is instantly hurled headlong into the soul-draining depths of Acamar, a dark and distant star

Tartarean Tomb
You create a battering storm of rune-scribed black iron plates around your foe. As they whirl and strike, they quickly assemble into a coffinlike prison of iron and shadow

Curse of the Fey King
You invoke the power of a mighty fey spirit. A shimmering emerald coil of eldritch power disrupts your foe and steals from him the luck of his next few moments. It’s yours if you want it

Doom of Delban
A single slanting shaft of frigid starlight strikes your enemy from above and clings to him. Under its unbearable touch, flesh becomes white ice and steel shatters like glass, but you must pay a price to keep Delban’s deadly light focused on your foes
>>
>>50153950
Dunno if that balances out. A wizard has a lot more spellslots. Unless you take many shortrests you wont get much out of it. It feels quite lazy to design it that way.
>>
>>50154669
Arms of Hadar
You call upon Hadar, the Ebon Hunger. Black tendrils erupt from your body and batter nearby creatures, pushing them from you

Chains of Levistus
Spectral chains of ice leap from your hands and lash around your enemy. They pulse with cold each time your enemy moves

Decree of Khirad
A pale blue flame appears above your brow as you utter a condemnation that makes foes mistake allies for enemies

Vestige of Khaeleth
Khaeleth was a divine entity that gave of himself until only a shred remained. Invoking him, you perform a similar act on behalf of an ally

Vestige of Mount Vaelis
You tell of the victory of the primordials against the divine army at Mount Vaelis, conjuring the thunderous echoes of their success

Caiphon's Leap
You call upon Caiphon the Dream Whisperer, and with his aid, you move out of harm's way

Eyes of the Spider Queen
A cluster of dull black eyes appears on your forehead, giving you enhanced sight in darkness and the power to see the unseen

Delban's Deadly Attention
A bolt of frigid starlight shines down and bathes your foe, causing the creature to suffer a spasm of agony just as it attacks you

Lure of Gibbeth
A fleeting thought of Gibbeth the Endless, an unknowable entity slain at the birth of the world but poised to return at the world's ending, seizes your enemy's mind and draws your foe toward you like a moth to flame

Vestige of Ugar
Upon his demise, Ugar the Unforgiving dissolved into sand and became a harsh desert. Your words of power bring forth the searing flame of that land to burn your foes

Vestige of Xandor
To know the borders of sanity, one has to cross them. With the aid of Xandor the Mad, you push your foe across that threshold

Avernian Eruption
Acrid orange fumes hiss up from beneath the ground, and then suddenly ignite in a thundering detonation. Any creature in the area is burned by the searing flames
>>
>>50154623
Again, maybe you shouldn't make such enemies and encounters that would have a moderate probablitity of oneshoting one of the players.
Might as well just slit your players throats when they sleep.
>>
>>50154685
Racing Fire of Ulban
You move with the swiftness of Ulban, whose burning glory sometimes flashes across the sky in a fiery streak of blue and white

Spider Queen's Caress
You whisper to those who dwell in the darkness of your undying love and loyalty; and in return you gain the gift of stealth

Iron Spike of Dis
You call up a spear of red iron from the infernal regions and hurl it at your foe. Transfixing clothing, armor, flesh, or skin, it nails him to the spot where he stands

Mordant Rains of Dis
You open a portal to Dis above your foe's head, releasing a caustic rain upon your enemy

Summons of Khirad
A pale blue flame springs up from your brow as you invoke Khirad, a star of dire portent. Your enemy’s mind burns with Khirad’s flame, and you teleport him where you wish

Vestige of Ilmeth
The primordial Ilmeth felt sorrow for the lives he claimed in the Dawn War, and the war-frenzied titans under his command destroyed him for his weakness. You channel the sorrow of the slain primordial to wound your enemy with regret

Vestige of Shax
Shax the Devastator is a dead primordial of the sea. With a wave of your hand, you summon a fragment of his power

Curse of Nessus
You transform your bad luck into your enemy's misfortune

Dark Reach of Xevut
You call on Xevut, He Who Hungers, and send a dark maelstrom at one enemy which transfers that creature's affliction to a nearby foe.

Caution of Dispater
Dispater remains in control of his part of Hell through cunning and by beating rivals into submission. You borrow a page from his book

Dark Rain of Mutuz-Vot
You bring forth storm clouds that exude droplets of liquid darkness, just like the rains of the massive cavern of Mutuz-Vot in the Underdark

Vestige of Leraje
Leraje gave up the lush woods to prove her mastery of the bow, and was cast away for it. You borrow her skill, but not her pride

Vestige of Solis
A falling star soars downward, burning bright as it strikes your foe in a deafening explosion
>>
>>50154669
>>50154685
What is all this for?
>>
>>50154624
>>50154669
>>50154685
Thanks brahs. Very flavorful.
>>
>>50154677

Right they do for lower level spells, but in terms of the higher level ones warlocks and wizards are almost even. For the lower level spells it has always been the case that warlocks do best if the group actually takes short rests. If they don't, they're just cantrip machine guns being the face playing second fiddle to wizards.
>>
>>50154700
Amaan's Continuance
Invoking the remnant of a dead god, you borrow its lingering power to act when you would normally lie on the ground, bleeding

Despair of Zhudun
You manifest an aspect of the blank face of dead Zhudun, causing your foe to collapse in fear

Sea Tyrant's Fury
Arcane waves sweep your foes to the ground as you harness the rage of the ancient Sea Tyrant

Vestige of Amaan
Your magic recalls Kaestelaria's enslavement by the dead god Amaan, imposing similar shackles upon your foe

Vestige of the Burned Emperors
The Burned Emperors ruled a region torn by strife. Once defeated, they became a shadowy entity, which you now call upon

Void Star
You summon a fragment of a dark star and hurl it at your foe, causing the creature's flesh to slough away

Walk of the Kantakaran
Your spell of peace borrows a lesson from the vestige of the Kantakaran monks, an order of mystics that espoused neutrality

Wakeman's Invocation
You employ a defensive technique developed by the scholar Strom Wakeman, who learned to use the power of Far Realm creatures without risking one's sanity

Awaken the Dragon
You rouse the soul of a long-dead dragon, calling down its necrotic breath upon your foes

Vestige of the Queen of Namhar
You call upon the Queen of Namhar, who died of thirst in the Namharid Desert, to send your foe a vivid image of death by thirst

Zutwa's Incandescence
You shine with the light of Zutwa's life force, which overwhelms your foes' vision

Vestige of the Master of the Hidden Flame
You call on the vestige of the spellcaster called the Master of the Hidden Flame. Through him, you burn foes by force of will

Vestige of Zuriel
As you attack, you scream a war cry to Zuriel, a forgotten deity dedicated to wars of justice
>>
>>50154711
They're warlock powers from 4e. Folks were talking a thread or two back about how it'd be neat for warlocks to have more 'X of Y' spells, to give them more pact magic flavor.
>>
>>50154711
A couple of threads ago someone raised the question of makin Warlock's spell list more in the vein of Hunger of Hadar or Crimson Bans of Cyttorak.
Those are 4E warlock spells that reference beings and places for liberal stealing and repurposing
>>
>>50154730
Oh. 3 of them exist in 5e already, though.
>>
>>50154745
Those weren't removed just for completeness
>>
>>50154745
Well yeah. I think the idea is to fluff some other warlock powers as things like this. so Hellish Rebuke might in fact be Flames of Phlegethos, if you want more of the Dr Strange feel.
>>
>>50154730
It is a pretty nice list. Good for ideas to give spells more flavor as well as names and a bit of fluff for possible patrons.
>>
>>50154695
A goblin on open ground at level 1 can 1-shot d6 and d8 hit die players.
With a crit they can 1 shot any PC.
In a world in which you give your players higher HP, that doesn't happen.
Why you have a problem with PCs having higher HP is absolutely beyond me. It's an incredibly easy, basic, and effective solution to expanding the number of things that can be thrown at a party at any level.
>>
>>50154700
>>50154685
>>50154669
>>50154720
The Great Old One spells are all star names. Many of them derive from Arabic but it's all boring shit like "mouth of the fish" or "end of the river", named for various constellations.
You might find some shit here
http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/

The Fiend stuff all relate to various Lower Planes (Hells) or Goetic demons. Some more obscure Goetic demon names, like Leraje, were used for Vestiges in 3.5e's Pact Binder stuff (and are not necessarily demonic in origin).
Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_of_Solomon and http://choisey.free.fr/3.5/Help/Tome%20of%20Magic.pdf
There's actually a lot of lore in the Tome of Magic vestige stuff, though it's all of debatable usefulness since, canonically, no one really knows what's up with vestiges.

The Fey stuff is, well, just fey shit, from various mythologies or Shakespeare.
>>
>>50154624
Not that anon, but thanks for the list. I was trying to figure out some gobbledygook for my goolock to reference, and this is the perfect resource.
>>
>>50154799
There is some more easily-compiled lore in >>50154779
>http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/
>>
File: HAHAHA.png (210KB, 453x512px) Image search: [Google]
HAHAHA.png
210KB, 453x512px
More amazing brilliance from Spelljammer.
>>
>>50154771
There's also a ton of spells that don't reference anything but are still metal as hell, like:

Cloud of Flies
You breathe out a cloud of acidic black flies that streak across the battlefield, swarming your foe and attempting to enter its body
>>
>>50154715
That you are set to only one spell for each of the higher level ones is kind of a downer though and the spell selection isn't great. A few exclusive spells for warlocks would have been cool.
>>
>>50154875
>A few exclusive spells for warlocks would have been cool
You've got more exclusive spells than sorcerer dude.
>>
>>50154821
>he doesn't know about aliens
>>
>>50154901
Oh, I know about aliens, alright.
>>
>>50154772
It's level 1 after all, what do you expect, there is nothing strange with that.
I honestly don't know what else to add, you are a DM who call the shots and who is responsible of all of these encounters.
It's just really weird to me why you feel the need to use a crutch of a max hp, when literally everyone I've seen or played with uses average or random hp and don't have such problems that you see so important. Whatever rocks your boat, I guess.
>>
>>50154821
lovecraft/10
>>
>>50154901
>>50154964
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbMZd8niNUM

>>50154979
It's not a crutch. It literally just makes combats more predictable, gives me more options in what I can put out there (both in terms of number of enemies and in terms of their strength), and overall makes things more fun.
There's literally no downside for anyone.
>>
File: uruyat.jpg (366KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
uruyat.jpg
366KB, 1024x1024px
>>50155004
>alien anime girls
If it ain't from the 70s-80s it ain't worth my time, Anon.
>>
>>50155037
Don't limit yourself senpai
>>
>>50155004
Well, if it's fun for you, ok then.
>>
>>50154821
I don't know what you're going on about, this guy looks like he could fuck someone's shit up.

>Limbs in every direction, can't be knocked down, a living caltrop
>Spikes so he can't be grappled
>He's gonna grapple you, though, with long and strong appendages
>Oozing from two sources, possible biohazard
>Shaped like a starfish, I bet he regenerates
>>
>>50155048
i have seen animes you've only ever dreamed of, anon
mine is the will and the way
there is more to explore in those two decades, lost to time, than you will see in twice as many years from here on
the wisdom of the ancients was great indeed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmxkoaPW23w
>>
>>50155078
Lum a shit
>>
>>50155037
>Alien Anime Girl
>Not a member of the Deviluke Royal Family
>Worth anyone's time
>>
>>50155112
Cause and effect, m8
To-Love-Ru wouldn't exist without Urusei Yatsura
>>
>>50155112
See this?
This is what shit taste looks like.
Study hard, children.
>>
>>50155135
Not saying you're wrong. Just saying the past needs to make way for PROGRESS.

>>50155148
No, shit taste is whatever the fuck the name of the series was that Funimation bastardized into Cat Planet Cuties
>>
File: angolmois.png (341KB, 715x405px) Image search: [Google]
angolmois.png
341KB, 715x405px
>>50155112
>>50155082
Peasants, both of you
>>
>>50154397
immediately what I thought of:
https://youtu.be/82BOiv3lXhM
>>
File: Capture513.png (297KB, 734x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Capture513.png
297KB, 734x1037px
My buddy just got me into it. This is my character.

Fortunately/unfortunately I found a magical lute that is a ranged weapon, but it makes a spin on the magic wizard table every attack. I got shrunk 9 inches down to 1'11" :(
>>
>>50155404
Never dump CON. It doesn't matter which class you play. Never has CON lower than 12.
>>
>>50155404
>rolled stats
Ew.
You have more skill proficiencies by the way - you get three from bard and two from your background.
>>
File: dnd5-flumph.jpg (282KB, 600x736px) Image search: [Google]
dnd5-flumph.jpg
282KB, 600x736px
>>50155404
>wild magic surge on every attack
for the record you have a 2% chance of casting lvl 3 fireball on yourself and essentially killing you and everyone in 20 ft
you also have a 2% chance of summoning 1-6 of pic related
>>
File: ya30bKX.png (278KB, 500x343px) Image search: [Google]
ya30bKX.png
278KB, 500x343px
>>50155404
>-1 con
>>
>>50155404
>>50155452
And your HP should be 7 because of that -1 CON

You should also has 2 more skill proficiency from being a Bard (Bard start with 3, Entertainer give you 2, you have a total of 5 skill proficiency)
>>
>>50155491
I think I'd rather just get hit by the fireball
>>
With the new triton race, how do you guys think I would best go about creating aquaman?
>>
>>50155568
Don't. Aquaman is gay.
>>
>>50155452
>>50155503
Shit, well, hopefully I don't die...
I could probably swap it w/ Str if I wanted to

>>50155510
>>50155479
Looks like I'm pumping stealth and deception then
>>
>>50155491
>you also have a 2% chance of summoning 1-6 of pic related
It's not like they'd be hostile in most cases
>>
>>50155568
I mean it's not that hard, since the entire race is basically Aquaman to begin with.
>>
>>50155568
Triton fighter. That's it
>>
>>50155593
"Trust a Flumph"
-X the Mystic's 1st Rule of Dungeon Survival
>>
File: mob_mermaid1.png (69KB, 391x391px) Image search: [Google]
mob_mermaid1.png
69KB, 391x391px
>>50155568
A better question is how you can adapt Triton into a sexy mermaid
>>
>>50155655
Who is X the Mystic, and why should I trust him about giant psychic jellyfish?
>>
>>50155662
Aren't merfolk in DMG?
>>
>>50155673
Because (s)he's Mystical.
>>
>First time playing, go for Sorc
>DM encourages rolling for stats and disallows Variant Human
>Starting stats are (after including bonuses);
17 CHA
17 INT
14 WIS
12 STR
14 DEX
16 CON

So, I lucked the HELL out, right?
>>
>>50155716
>for Sorc
>>DM encourages rollin
Those stats are very high, but high int is a waste: Prioritise Cha>Dex>Con>others
>>
>>50155751
Could be for rp purposes. Minmaxing when everyone's rolling (and your stats are already strong) seems like a bit of a dick move.
>>
>>50155751
CHA > CON > DEX > WIS > INT > STR

>>50155716
High stats is pretty irrelevant on most classes, including sorcerer. As long as you have one good stat and one or two okay ones you're good to play effectively.
>>
>>50155782
>>50155751
I just chose INT for the other highest roll because it seemed fitting for what I had in mind for the character, which is why WIS is deliberately the lowest of the 'mental' stats.
>>50155793
Ah, well, not a bad thing, I guess.
>>
>>50155578
You don't know shit about Aquaman, memer.
>>
>>50155815
If that's how you want to roll play then go for it! It's just not the best choice.
>>
>>50150691
Are you running a Zach Bell campaign? That literal exact scenario occurs, so look at that for possible inspiration if you have not already.
>>
>>50155874
Eh, it's only my first time playing, so I'm not concerned about being optimum
>>
>>50150486
Sentinel. Combine with polearm master and its nuts.
>>
>>50151788
I want to make a goblin bard/rogue multi that's like a crime lord
>>
>>50150486
Polearm Master -> Alert -> Lucky -> Resilient (Wis/Con) -> HAM -> GWM -> Shield Master -> other shit.
>>
>>50156176
polearm master and sentinel is one of the biggest munchkin combos and your GM will hate you
>>
>>50156250
It takes two fucking ASIs.
>>
>>50156250

Polearm master and sentinel is fine. Polearm master, sentinel, and Great Weapon master, on the other hand, is where things get fun.
>>
>>50156255
So? You get more ASIs than you need. If you're variant human, you'll only be +1 behind in your main stat. And you do catch up, and quickly if you are fighter or rogue.
>>
>>50156255
So you'll have it by lvl 4 as a variant human is what you're saying.
>>
>>50156250
the tradeoff is enough and you only get one reaction either way so it's not that hard to circumvent.
if anything, polearm master is too good, sentinel is just ok.
>>
>>50156328
Tunnel fighter gives a non-reaction using attack whenever an opponent enters your threatened zone
>>
Is there anything similar to 3.5's composite bows in 5e? I have a fighter that'd love some longer ranged options but his dex.. leaves something to be desired.
>>
>>50156340
tunnel fighter is very stupid, but that isn't PAM/sentinel's fault.
>>
> Don't allow feat optional rule in game
> laugh
>>
>>50156326
Only as a variant human, and only if you're dumb enough to sit on a 16. You're better off going to 20 and getting it later.

>>50156324
You get *1* more ASI than you need to cap two stats assuming you even have two 16's. And you don't get the last one until fucking level 19.
So take paladin - you should *always* ASI Strength or Charisma until both are maxed to be optimal. If you shade off into a feat you're always gimping your overall character strength. You can do it, but it's a fact that such is what you're doing.
>>
>>50151713
> hobgoblin women in filthy rags? No proper armor?
> flint spear? no steel?

0/10 would not wage honorable war with
>>
>>50156383
>hate choice
>be shit
>>
>>50156385
She's green, clearly a regular goblin or orc
>>
>>50156371
Every throw weapon ever?
>>
>>50156391
It better than arguing about PM/SS/GWM all day everyday.
>>
>>50156398
thrown weapons have pretty short ranges, 9 times out of 10 i can just run that far to hit people lol.
>>
>>50156411
>people argue about something on an online imageboard
>I will now ban everything they talked about for my players
Brilliant.
>>
>>50156384
I think you're underestimating how much having a guaranteed way of using both your action, bonus action and reaction every turn increases your damage output. Early on is exactly when you don't need 20s to still hit stuff.
>>
>>50156442
No, I'm not underestimating PAM - I'm telling you that PAM + Sentinel is absolutely suboptimal. PAM is fine - I don't mind people going PAM alone.
But both PAM *AND* Sentinel is fucking dumb until you have at *LEAST* an 18 in your primary stat. And you should actually just go 20.
>>
>>50156384
+1 to hit and damage is worth a lot less than what a fair amount of feats offer.
>>
>>50156394
Clearly goblin, not buff enough to be orc.
>>
>>50156457
But..but..muh bound accuracy
>>
>>50156457
No it's not - the only feats anyone should ever consider dropping an ASI on when their primary stat isn't maxed is for PAM, Alert, Lucky, or HAM/Resilient if they have an odd numbered primary stat (or strong secondary stat in the case of Res). That's it. No others are ever worth it.
Primary stats also give much more than +1 to hit and damage.
Caster stats in particular.
>>
>>50156435
Try going bugbear with a whip.
>>
Half-Elf Light Cleric
Standard array
8 14 13(+1) 12 15(+1) 10(+2)

Does this seem alright?
>>
>>50156385
>>50156394
>>50156468
Str 20.
>>
>>50156483
Yeah, but strength, the example you were giving, doesn't. You will barely notice the difference playing 20 or 18 strength. And it's weird how these feat combos we were talking about only really benefit strength based classes.
>>
>>50149736
Ancestor is a tank who actually forces enemies to attack him which is fucking great.
Pair him with a swashbuckler rogue and a cleric and you have a party that will frustrate any single big enemy.

Storm is a AOE bruiser with team support.
It's the primal nature champion.
Thundra is meh but the other two are great.
Sea nets you waterbreathing and steady lighting damage as well as forcing a save on enemies.
Dessert lets you burn enemies and most importantly make their movement zero when they fail a save forcing them to fight you.
>>
>>50154585
From Dragon Magazine 366:

The scroll called Revelations of Melech is wound
inside a narrow obsidian cylinder whose exterior
is scribed with strange star constellations.The
protective obsidian cylinder acts as a rod of harvest.
The following names and associated qualities are
scribed on the manuscript inside the cylinder.
Acamar:Acamar is a corpse star whose motions
and behemoth size send celestial objects that draw too
close spiraling to their doom.
Caiphon: This purple star is usually on the horizon.
It has the guise of a helpful guide star, but sometimes
betrays those who rely upon it.
Delban:An ice-white star often visible only during
winter, Delban might surprise the star-gazer with an
impromptu flare during any season.
Gibbeth:Better not to write or think overlong on
this greenish point in the sky.
Hadar: Hadar is the extinguished cinder of a star
lurking within the cloaking nebula of Ihbar.
Ihbar:A dark nebula between stars, Ihbar is
slowly expanding and eating the light of neighboring
constellations.
Khirad: A piercing blue star, Khirad’s radiance
sometimes reveals secrets and gruesome insights.
Nihal:Nihal is a reddish star that writhes around
the position it should hold in the heavens.
Ulban:Ulban’s blue-white light disrupts cognition
and the ability to recognize danger.
Zhudun:Another corpse star, Zhudun is historically described as shining a baleful light over the
Ruined Realm of Cendriane in the Feywild before
its fall.
>>
>>50156500
>You will barely notice the difference playing 20 or 18 strength
That's mathematically false.
>>
>>50156495
>>
>>50156505
Thanks, I now know that you don't actually play this game, you just talk about it online.
>>
>>50156518
I've played thousands of hours of 5e
>>
>>50156483
Not a fan of dipping into magical initiate or ritual caster for extra utility?
>>
>>50156523
Sure.

We totally believe you.
>>
So hey, it seems that Zealous Focus should be applicable to your last death saving throw during your Rage Beyond Death, largely mitigating your risk to actually die.
>>
>>50156503
This is pretty cool. Thanks brah.
>>
>>50156528
I think both of those feats are pretty bad.
If I want a ritual utili-caster I'll play a tome lock or a wizard.

>>50156536
I don't care what you believe, since it's irrelevant to the truth that primary attribute maximization is the best thing you can do to make your character more effective except in those cases I listed.
>>
>>50156554
I don't care what you tell people, because it's super clear you don't know shit.
>>
>>50156554
Wizard with ritual caster Cleric is pretty dope. I still don't know why diviner Wizard can't cast augury and divination naturally..
>>
>>50150486
Tavern brawler, Skulker, Sentinel, Mobile, Magic initiate and Spell sniper.

Each one greants good stuff.

Tavern brawler is self explanatory fun.

Skulker allows for stealth shenanigans.

Sentinel locks down targets.

Mobile helps with climbing and gotta go fast.

Magic initiate is a boon to any character with a mental stat above 12.

And spell sniper along with making most of your spells have hundreds of feet range nets you a free cantrip.
>>
>>50156586
Yeah totally senpai

>>50156588
There are certainly worse choices. But I'd just generally always prefer Lucky, Alert, and Resilient (Con) on a cleric.
>>
>>50156554
isnt roleplaying well and strategizing the best way to make your character more effective?
>>
>>50156554
what about roleplaying feats like linguist
>>
>>50150533
Spell sniper you slowass gramps.
>>
>>50156468
Looks like an underage half-orc
>>
>>50156606
Depends on what you mean by "effective". When I talk about effectiveness, I'm talking about making yourself better within a bounded niche that classes usually operate in. They're better on paper and can be more effective in circumstances that require you to have the numbers on paper to do your shtick. You don't need ASIs at all for roleplaying.

>>50156617
Just cast tongues is how I feel about that. Or comprehend language. Or whatever.
>>
>>50156624
Spell sniper doesn't help Sacred Flame though.
>>
>>50156639
comprehend languages doesnt allow you to actually speak the languages though, just read
tongues definitely helps but requires a 3rd level slot and has a relatively short duration depending on your DM's style
>>
>>50150533
Alert, Lucky, Resilient (Con) are all very good choices. Observant isn't bad either to pump your wisdom a bit if your DM uses passive perception.
>>
>>50156639
>by "effective" i meant minmaxing
gotcha
>>
>>50156711
There are a whole lot of other means.
But you can already get 4-5 languages from race and background. Usually that's going to last you until you can cast those spells. There are also a ton of class-specific communication methods.

>>50156724
I mean characters being good at what they're supposed to be good at, yeah ;)
>>
>>50156724
That's all he can go by, and he's not even very good at that. After all, he hasn't even played the game.
>>
>>50156493
Anyone...?
>>
>>50156493
That's fine.
>>
>>50156757
It seems alright.

For Cleric, as long as you have the highest Wis possible for your level, you'll do just fine.
>>
Does the spell "Shield" completely negate all damage from two natural 20 ranged arrow attacks?

The book says that a crit hits regardless of the targets AC or modifiers.

The spell Shield says magic missile does no damage and gives a +5 until the start of the next turn.

Am I right or is the dm right?
>>
>>50156739
>all characters should be boring statmonkeys that specialize in their generic roles
wew lad we got the life of the party over here
>>
>>50156775
Natural 20's auto-hit. It doesn't matter what the target's AC is.
>>
>>50156783
The fact that you conflate optimization with some kind of aversion or inability to roleplay is really funny senpai
And it will never stop being funny whenever you people do that
>>
>>50156775
Nat 20's always hit. Magic Missile, the spell, does not require a ranged attack however.
>>
>>50156769
>>50156771
Thanks!
>>
>>50156775
>Shield gives +5 AC
>Nat 20s crit and hit regardless of AC
Gee, you tell me. In seriousness it hits.
>>
>>50156783
Stormwind fallacy at its finest
>>
>>50156775
It blocks the magic missile spell, not mundane missiles.
>>
>>50151111
Do mention your wizard level and school.

The only two multiclass options open to you however are Cleric and Druid.
War cleric lets you get armour and weapon proficiency but with your Con I wouldn't recommend it.
Storm lets you abuse booming blade and shocking grasp but again you aren't for melee.
Light nets you healing and PRAISE THR SUN! Somewhat meh but decent.
Life nets you maxed healing and is the best cleric option for you.
Nature is just a second hand druid.
Land druid nets you decent spells.
Moon lets you have a bear form as backup and nice spells.

I'd say Moon druid and life cleric are your best bet.
>>
>>50156797
the fact that you are sitting here dropping the fact that 20 str is better than 18 str as though it is some sort of profound illuminati secret and then getting butthurt when people point out that your first grade level "theorycrafting" is pointless and unnecessary is really funny senpai
and it will never stop being funny whenever you people do that
>>
>>50156833
>talk about what's the best thing to do
>point out best thing to do
>"woah man people can do what they want"
No shit?
>>
>>50156812
le eppic lleddit meme
epik win for us fa/tg/uys!!!!1!!!1!one!1!!
>>
>>50156847
>pointing out 20>18
goddamn dude thank god you showed up to save us from our ignorance
>>
>>50156859
No problem man it's what I do
>>
>>50156850
You know the term actually means something? And it's being used correctly?
>>
>>50156775
Shield blocks the spell "Magic Missile", not magical ammunition
>>
>>50156785
>>50156799
>>50156806
>>50156824
Thanks guys. I fucking knew I was right.

Rolled TWO crits and the DM said:

>Nope! Shield blocks it all! A 20 doesn't get through when he has +5 AC!

She then went on a tirade about how me disputing her dm ruling was insulting and that I should leave if I was going to keep it up.
>>
>>50156876
Tell your DM to read the fucking book before DM'ing, and that if she decides to ignore the book that she should tell you exactly what she's ignoring before the game starts.
>>
>>50156876
In all honesty you probably should leave. People like that aren't worth it.
>>
>>50156876
If it's leave or obey, always leave.
>>
>>50156876
My suggestion for these sort of disputes is to wait until after the session to bring it up.

But yeah, it sounds like your DM thought that Shield protects from -missiles- and not only -magic missiles- which is a rookie mistake.
>>
>>50156876
I dunno, anon, looks like you should take her advice. Because she's a shit GM who doesn't know the rules.
>>
>>50156903
>>50156903
>>50156903
>>50156903
new
>>
>>50156876
Honestly, if that is her attitude you better quit that table. Seem like your DM is high off a power and control fantasy. and you cause her narcissist injury by suggesting that she did something wrong.
>>
How the fuck do I find an online game? I've been searching on roll20 for weeks, posting applications and shit. This is worse than fucking job-hunting, these cucks have so many rules and arbitrary little bullshits. How is this fucking possible? The DM to player ratio is fucked completely leaving a bunch of fiendish imps clawing for a DM.

Fuck it man, I don't even wanna but I'm gonna have to run a game at this rate.
>>
>>50156911
>>50156901
>>50156896
>>50156890
We literally got a fragment of the story. We have no context and we're only hearing one side.

And the guy asking the question was ALSO lacking in knowledge, so we have already set a precedent that all parties involved are likely new to the game. New players and DM's should take advantage of that to make mistakes and get better.
>>
>>50156953
You should go with >>50156890 on sheer principle.
There's nothing objectionable about that course of action.
>>
>>50156960
I didn't quote that one because I agree with it.

At least in that situation, rather than throwing a fit and leaving, people would have a chance to understand the rules a little better.
>>
>>50156953
Even if that's true, that's a terrible attitude for a new DM to have.

'What's the rule here?' should not be met with 'I'm right or get out', if there's multiple new people there. That should be used as a learning opportunity.
>>
>>50156979
>>50156960
Oh wait I did quote that. Disregard, I'm retarded.
>>
>>50156953
I am not new to the game. I read the rule book the instant she tried to pull that bullshit on me. I knew for a fact that I was right. I came here for solidarity and vindication.
>>
>>50156986
>>50156979
I think it's important that DM's have a good grasp of the rules before they start DM'ing.
You don't need to be perfect or anything, but you should at least know enough that you can tell people what you're not going to abide by beforehand. Straight fiats everywhere is unbearably unfun for players to deal with much of the time.
>>
>>50151629
Fixing monks is piss easy.

You scale their damage die differently.
1d4->1d6->2d4->2d6->2d8

It makes their crits unbelievable and their unarmed strikes catch up with other martials damage at higher levels but stays competitive and balanced at lower levels.
Or just let them have Extra attack2 at lvl 11.

>>50153893
Long death monk/thief with expertise in medicine and the healer feat.

>>50154506
Dex barbarian is really only used for multiclass with another martial as a one level dip or 3 level dip for bearbarian resistance or wolf/eagle utility.
Or when you MC rogue and need extra attack.

Generally here are a few good "builds"

Eagle or Wolf barbarian 3/Hunters conclave 5 with dueling and archery.

Wolf barbarian 5/Rogue x

Barbarian 1/Anything Dex based for unarmoured.
>>
>>50157251

Honestly I think monks do okay in the offense department particularly if they can find a magic short sword or helm of brilliance or something. Really I just think they should get something like the disengage aspect of mobility at level 5 or so, so that they don't need to burn everything on offense or defense.
>>
this is the deal 5e, i am joining a lvl 8 campaign and i want to create an OP blood knight(in concept the dude that likes to fight strong opponents) i am using the barbarian class the goliath race and the gm gave me 606 for buying magic items, what should i buy?
Thread posts: 499
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.