[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 359
Thread images: 24

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ
>>
File: 5e UA CIRCUS.png (63KB, 577x375px) Image search: [Google]
5e UA CIRCUS.png
63KB, 577x375px
Reminder for whoever hasn't heard the news. This is going to last "a few months" and is very clearly a ramp-up in playtesting for the first real splat book.

Also Pendleton Ward (creator of Adventure Time) is helping WotC with the next adventure.
>>
casters>martials
>>
third for kobolds are awesome
>>
>>50121359
Starting next monday? nice
>>
Man I want to make a Triton wizard but not having a +3 int is going to make my skin crawl.
>>
>>50121336
Oh yeah i forgot about the Emerald Enclave.

The tree I want the character to investigate is call "Blackie" by the locals. Its bark is of a weird black stone that seems to repell magic under any form. It's obviously part of something bigger but there's no need for me to elaborate on that I don't think.

I like the idea of the elk-spirit though. It's just going to be a bit awkward trying to fit that in an already pretty tight session.

Probably just going to go with "she's following obvious druidic signs" to investigate the tree, and that's why she's here.

I would have liked to give her something though, like an item or a trinket of sort.
>>
Anons? I've recently been struck by an inkling to do a vaguely Dungeon Meshi-inspired band of NPCs to use in my next campaign, consisting of monstrous adventurers (and one human party face/straight man) roaming the world to try exotic delicacies made from as many different monsters as they can. Including humanoids, if they're stupid enough to pick a fight.

...Problem is, I could kind of use some help refining the character concepts for said group. Can I ask for that kind of thing here?
>>
>>50121397
The Three Stooges, but with a Goblin, Hobgoblin and Bugbear.
>>
Thoughts on this please?
>Damage immunities: bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from +3 and below weapons
>>
>>50121397
You can, but I think you'd be better off talking about it with the group itself. I've had plenty of ideas of fun groups but in the end you really have to have every players on board with it beforehand.

Like meeting in a bar and just brainstorming a fun group.
That's how I ended up with my last dwarf party and it was pretty fucking cool. 2 Wizards, 1 Knowledge Cleric, 1 noble Battlemaster.
>>
Hobgoblins need three subraces
+2 Con for all hobgoblins
Remove that stupid save face

+1 STR or +1 DEX for soldier breed
weapon and armor prof like dwarves

+1 Wis for Iron shadow candidate
prof stealth
+1 Int for devastator candidate
prof arcana
>>
>>50121438
...Why?
Do you really need another reason for the melee combatants to be relegated to carrying torches while the wizard and cleric do everything?
>>
>>50121381
Is that really such a big deal?
>>
>>50121491
Aren't the subraces of Hobgoblins... bugbears and goblins?
>>
>>50121438
>>50121499
What about

> Damage immunities: any magic damage, any magical or silvered weapon

:^)
>>
>>50121438
That sounds like a really nice way to tell your melee players that you hate them and they should have played a magic user.
>>
>>50121395
There are probably ways you can tie elk dude in. Maybe the party passes by a child telling their mother about the magic deer he saw, something like that? A drunken hunter saying he wants to snag that big old elk and a local shushing him, saying he'll bring about bad luck from Blackie?

If the town has open shrines (and the players are likely to actually pass through the town), you could straight up have an item left on a shrine call to her. Or an arrangement of items on a shrine to Melora/equivalent actually be a coded druidic message, either indicating the weird tree or the location of a gift to aid any answering the call.
>>
You could technically peasant railgun beyond the speed of light if you had enough people to grapple you and move you, or transferring you between enough mounts.

You could travel around the world in under 6 seconds.
>>
>>50121506

It's not a huge deal but I tend to min max, so having less damaging spells, only having an 18 by level 8, being able to prepare fewer spells as a wizard, etc, just feels really constricting to the character. At least I'll have a rocking con score.
>>
File: 1470421569288.jpg (70KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1470421569288.jpg
70KB, 720x720px
>>50121381
I'm the proud owner of a Dwarf Diviner and I tell you: wizards don't even need 16 INT to be awesome.
Magic missiles all the way to the TOP
>>
>>50121518
That sounds like a really nice way to tell your magic players that you hate them and they should have played a mundane melee character.
>>
>>50121438
The only way a player would get a +3 weapon is if the DM handed them one, making the whole point of a DM making such a creature totally moot.
>>
>>50121534

I'll keep that in mind! I'm planning to play a illusionist so it's going to impact by save DCs but oh well I guess. An undersea illusionist just seems like a cool and flavorful build.
>>
>>50121499
>>50121518
>>50121520
>>50121543
>>50121543
It's meant to represent the stats for a god's avatar, specifically for a greater god tier avatar. I forget what Tiamat gets but I could possibly use her stats for inspiration instead.
>>
Trying to come up with animal motifs for some PCs. What class and archetype would you assign the following:

>bull
>boar
>bear
>hawk
>wolf
>>
File: Kuotoa.png (391KB, 451x388px) Image search: [Google]
Kuotoa.png
391KB, 451x388px
>>50121543
Not really, I had a player who would constantly grab my DMG while I was distracted and give himself and the party magical items.

>Cheating at an RPG

Some people.
>>
>>50121581
The thing will have limited magic immunity and be immune to level 6 or 7 spells.
>>
>>50121594
>Give himself magical weapons
...Fucking no, what?
>>
File: fallcrest printer friendlier.png (3MB, 1100x1467px) Image search: [Google]
fallcrest printer friendlier.png
3MB, 1100x1467px
>>50121524
Hm. Food for thoughts! Thanks a lot for these ideas, I like them all.

I was thinking the sign/command was the reason for the character's trip to such a remote & boring hamlet though. But maybe I can make the sign/command vague at first, and then clearer once they come to the Chauntea's altar.

Thanks a lot anyway, I'm open to anything else you got!
>>
>>50121586
Minotaur Totem Barbarian
Orc Totem Barbarian
Bugbear Totem Barbarian
Goliath Totem Barbarian 14/Open Hand Monk 4/Rogue 2
Human Druid/Sex Pervert
>>
>>50121634
>Goliath Totem Barbarian 14/Open Hand Monk 4/Rogue 2
Is that suppose to be for the hawk? You might need to elaborate your reasoning for me anon.
>>
>>50121447
Yeah, I know, I could just use some critique on the concepts I got so far. But maybe I should leave it, at least until next thread - real life's reared its ugly head, so I can't talk proper-like on here.
>>
>>50121513
nope
>>
File: tizok-k3.jpg (664KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tizok-k3.jpg
664KB, 1200x1600px
>>50121664
>Grab opponent
>Fly 300 feet into the air
>Pile Drive
>>
>>50121586
Aside from just saying Totem barbarian for everything...

>Bull

Fighter, Battlemaster, dual weidling longswords for the 'horns' so to speak. Focus on charging in, shoving people around, that sort of thing.

>Boar

Frenzy Barbarian, focusing on as much health as possible.

>Bear

Grappler Barbarian. Probably Totem here, might need a level in rogue for Athletics expertise.

>Hawk
Beastmaster Ranger with a Hawk companion. Focus on Archery and just have the Hawk grant advantage with Bonus action Help

>Wolf

Melee rogue to rush in and gang up on enemies with advantage for adjacent allies, probably athletics to help trip them.
>>
>>50121610
He has the DMG, anon... the source of the DM's power?

Do you even play 5e
>>
File: 1471130639323.jpg (463KB, 1510x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1471130639323.jpg
463KB, 1510x2048px
>>50121632
If the player needs a reason to travel there you could just remix the hunter idea, with a far-traveling hunter showing off a huge-ass pair of antlers, having slain the guardian. Alternately have them fall ill or die, having been cursed for slaying the beast; the hunter's widow/child/brother tries to sell the antlers or pelt to the players for a ridiculously low price.

Alternately a humanoid enemy could be bearing something made from the bark of this bizarre tree. A makeshift shield or an amulet - enough to make the players pause and maybe wonder where the npc got it.

Rumours of a cult are also useful for drawing attention. Some folks at a tavern hear the folk over in town X do dark rituals to dark powers, your druid player can recognize a trait/action in said 'dark rituals' as a simple, common, druidic practice. (You could further involve some mention of other adventurers already dispatched to kill these 'evil cultists' if you want a sense of urgency).

You know your group and players best so I'm just tossing random ideas hoping they'll spark something. Glad to help out!
>>
>>50121740
Just because he has the DMG doesn't mean he can just change the rules or what his character does or does not have.
Obviously.
Please be a joke.
>>
>>50121711
>glorious dubs
>>
>>50121594
What? Did he think it wouldn't be noticable if the fighter suddenly did extra fire damage or the rogue could somehow into a bat or something? I don't see how you can do shit like that secretly. (Or why you'd want to)
>>
If firearms exist in your setting do you use special rules or reskinned crossbow?
>>
>>50121877
Reskinned crossbows, bump the damage die one tier, ammo is usually also a bit more expensive than bolts.
>>
>>50121712
>>50121634
>>50121586

>Bull
Champion Fighter with either an axe or double swords like >>50121712 anon posted

>Boar
Berserker Barbarian and make him an orc like >>50121634 anon posted

>Bear
Moon druid

>Wolf
Rogue since wolves hunt in the dark or a moon druid and make him or her a werewolf

>Hawk
This one's tricky since the whole hawkeye can lend him to be an archer such as ranger or fighter. Yet, the term war hawk can lead it to be a classic sword and armor fighter. You can even make him some type of knight due to falconry being associated with the noble class.
>>
>>50121877
last time i used them, most mobs used reskinned crossbows, but for my player that wanted to use them, i had him carry and account for his gunpowder and bullets. and as the dmg tells, he couldn't reuse his bullets but dealt a little bit more damage.
>>
>>50121438
>>50121606
Either or, dude.
>>
>>50121910
For Hawk I'd suggest a facey caster, Chain Lock, Bard, Storm Sorc
>>
>>50121950
Storm sorcerer sounds like a good fit for Hawk.
>>
Name one NPC sexier than Apprentice Wiard
>>
Someone give me a decent lizardfolk cleric character hook to write a backstory off. I'm drawing a blank.
>>
>>50121950
>>50121976
because of a Thunderbird motif?
>>
>>50122044
Liardfolk healed by kindly itinerant cleric, travels and learns from him, and then sets off on his own journey to spread the light
>>
>>50122057
That, and due to the various wind powers, along with the sort of more frail agile thing going on.

Maybe add in a couple levels of monk for unarmored defense and some extra speed.
>>
>>50122044
Lizardfolk warrior working in some evil mercenary band, had an epiphany from a god of honorable combat, and set out to fight for more just causes.
>>
>>50122044
You were eating a dead adventurer when your tooth caught on a book they carried, titled "Book of [your god here]". You worked your way through the book after finishing your meal, then decided to return the book to [your god here], who is probably its owner and may appreciate its return.

In the course of your journey you encountered followers of [your god here], who gave you advice on 'finding' [your god here]. You still haven't found [your god here], but you are following the 'path' the followers told you to and it seems to be going well.
>>
Redpill me on Commander's strike
>>
>>50122129
It's great for other melee classes that deal more damage per swing compared to a Fighter. Give the Rogue another chance to sneak attack, the Paladin another smite, even the Barbarian might do more with another Rage smack.

Fighter damage comes from the sheer number of attacks, so giving one up to someone whose damage comes from adding a bunch of stuff to fewer attacks can be nice.
>>
>>50122129
Godd if you have a rogue because they can get more sneak attacks, not very good otherwise.
>>
>>50122129
its good if you have a rogue because its more damage than anyone else can get from one attack. Maybe a polymorphed something can do more, but I don't see that happening as often as a rogue being able to attack
>>
best classes levels 1 through 4?
i've acknowledged that non of my campaigns will ever get past lv5 and accepted it.
my current bard is feeling iffy and i might need a new character for out of the abyss, eventually.
>>
>>50122174
Barbarian, UA ranger, Fighter, Moon Druid, and Paladin are all pretty solid.
>>
>>50122174
Moon druid
Paladin or fighter in heavy armour with the damage reduction feat and AC as high as they can get it
>>
>>50122174
Moon Druid
Variant human revised ranger hunter with Sharpshooter and hoard breaker
Variant human barbarian with Great Weapon Master
>>
I'm about to DM a new group next weekend, but for the life of me I don't want to do the whole tavern opening railroad. What are some unique-ish, different ways you've seen a adventure start?
>>
>>50122246
"You're in the mayor's office. The mayor is lying on his desk, dead with a knife in his back. You hear the guards pounding at the door to open up."
>>
Does anyone play on Skype? How do you handle dice rolling now the API is deprecated?
>>
>>50122283
I've moved all my games to Discord, with Roll20 for rolls, maps, etc.
>>
>>50122246
"you are all dead and dying, in the middle of a battleground, with your last breath you see your life flash in front of you, how did you even get here?"

flashback to the main quest and eventually reach the battleground, some deus ex machina or mcguffin saves the group after the fight, proceed to complete the quest.
>>
>>50122302
>some deus ex machina or mcguffin saves the group after the fight
Better if you can set up foreshadowing to show that this losing battle is coming soon, and see if the players come up with some way to save their own asses as the time approaches. It's not a deus ex machina for the cavalry to arrive the players called the cavalry themselves.

Of course you could let them die if they get back to that battlefield and haven't come up with any way to survive.
>>
There's more Ranger stuff in this month's Dragon.
>>
>>50121359

Are any of the old splatbooks worth revisiting? I only started with 5e.
>>
Can a ranger make 2 whirlwind attacks in a turn, or does it replace the entirety of its action?
>>
>>50122302
As a player(and a DM), leave the deus ex machina out of it.
>>
I need advice on dealing with problem players as a player.

I started attending an adventurers league event hosted by the comic shop in my town with my niece to introduce her to the game. The problem is that the DM won't deal with a rampant special snowflake plus murderhobo "I'm being chaotic neutral not evil" look at me! player.

When a couple of us objected in game to his torture of a goblin the DM waved his hand and said "goblins aren't people"

Half the table was visibly frustrated with the bad player.

I'd normally drop the game, but my niece had fun and it is really the only practical way to have her involved.

I don't want to push back too hard for fear of becoming a different sort of that guy
>>
>>50122399
Looks like it's just the revised ranger in article form.
>>
>>50122550
If you have the time and proclivity, you could always try to recruit the decent players to run a game for them and your niece yourself. There are a bunch of AL modules in the OP pastebin that can keep the game AL-legal, I believe.
>>
How to properly play a skelly?
>>
>>50122550
Can you form your own group without the problem player and DM?
>>
Anyone used Aboleths against their players yet? Is an avoidable encounter with one at level 4 doomed to lead to pic deaths?
>>
>>50121910
>>50121712
>>50121634
>>50121950
Thanks everyone! I'm surprised how similar most of the answer were. Only one that seems to have different answers is the hawk...

I decided since hawks are known as "war hawks", I'm going to make the PC a fighter. I'm actually torn between making the PC hawk either an archer or a knight-type fighter.
>>
>>50122695
I would recommend going for more of a skirmisher type. Maybe give the Mobility so they can move fast and get in and out of the fray very quickly.
>>
File: berserk-25001.jpg (121KB, 800x1163px) Image search: [Google]
berserk-25001.jpg
121KB, 800x1163px
>>50122695
Make him a dex rapier fighter
>>
>>50122661
my group was a bad roll away from instantly dying to an aboleth's foreshadow.
like, there was no chance for an physical encounter (they couldn't actually reach the aboleth's lair) but they kept pushing and insisting to inspect the source of the mindfucks and trying to interact with the eerie glowing white water that seemed to bleed from the depths of the open tomb.

i was visibly confused but in the end they just ran away when the thing started to fall apart.

i'd just say, try to make sure both your players and their characters, independently understand the risks of any setting they are. if you made an honest effort of letting them know the risks involved, and they fucked it all up, then just let them die.
>>
What is, in your guys opinion, the best adventure book for new characters?
>>
>>50122604
Oathbreaker for aura of fear
Expertise in intimidate
Tool Specialization (Xylophone)
Immunity to word damage
Vulnerability to stick and stone damage
>>
>>50122742
What are the best disposable minions for Aboleths? Cool Kuo-Toa?
>>
So how come Volo is still alive? Isn't he old and feeble as hell before 4e happen?
>>
>>50122791

Sahuagin are a good one.
>>
>>50122791
i had it set up so a number of abandoned illithid fortresses laid on top of even older aboleth prisons, so on the upper levels there were some mind flayed thralls, intellect devourers and some retooled grells, while the lower levels, the original aboleth cities, where full of dormant chuuls.
>>
>>50122813
Time is convoluted.
>>
>>50122791
Slaads can be pretty good
>>
>>50122813
Magic.
>>
>>50122739
the rapier rapist
>>
>>50122813
Magic
>>
>>50121491
It doesn't make sense to give weapon and armor proficiencies to the warriors because they get those anyway from taking classes like fighter or ranger. Likewise giving arcana is useless because they take a level of wizard and give arcana anyway.

As it stands Hobgoblins are basically the 'wizard-only' race because they get intelligence, armor and weapon proficiencies which don't benefit anyone other than wizards. There is no reason to play as any other class other than wizard if you make a hobgoblin.
>>
>>50122924
Pretty much. It only worked for Mountain Dwarf because it had some other decent benefits and gave really nice Fighter stats with +2 strength and +2 con.

The Hobgoblin doesn't offer much of real value to a martial class.
>>
>>50122869
>>50122859
>>50122840

Good ideas. The Aboleths are going to have been sealed below the Earth in a flooded prison city, and they'll basically be running shit as the top shelf jailhouse kingpins down there. I'll probably dump some Sahuagin down there, and maybe a few packs of mutated airgulpers and some trusty chuuls.
>>
does anyone actually like how ability score bonuses are attached to races?

stuff like dragonborn and half-orc seem to be designed to only be able to perform a few rolls, and nothing else.
>>
>>50122981

In my game I've more or less overhauled all of the core races in addition to my homebrew ones to have a small amount of variance in what ASI's they get. A race might have something like +2 to strength or wisdom, but they would also get a +1 to any ability that they choose.
>>
>>50122981
I wish there were a few more races or subraces that got +2 to X and then +1 to a stat of their choice, to represent a racial strength and then an individual strength,
>>
>>50122888
Dubs and trips confirm.
>>
>>50122981
Well, Half-Orc is mainly the trouble of having a bonus to Strength and features that only really benefit a melee fighter.

Dragonborn is a bit better off, since their stat increases are a bit more varied, and as far as class features go the only real thing they have is the dragonbreath, which can be helpful in alot of places.

I have done a bit of tweaking to races sometimes though as it often feels like more subraces or options need to be present to make them more viable.
>>
Could someone give me a rundown of what official domains are in the game?
>>
What are some good options if you want to soak up damage? Alternative from Bear Barbarians, of course.
>>
>>50123109
Arcane, Death, Knowledge, Light, Life, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, War
>>
>>50123109
You've got all the ones in the PHB and one more (Arcana) in SCAG. That's it.
>>
>>50123109
read the book?
it's on the OP

i don't know everyone from the top of my head but for a single classes cleric, you probably just want life or tempest, but light, nature and war all have stuff going on for them.
>>
>>50123033
>that only really benefit a melee fighter.
Seems like they could make pretty decent assassin Rogues too.
Plus I can't think of a class that relentless endurance is bad with.
>>
>Champion NPC doesn't get improved critical

one job wotc
>>
>>50123138
>>50123141
>>50123157
Thanks heaps brahs.
>>
File: stunning-fantasy-landscape-1.jpg (502KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
stunning-fantasy-landscape-1.jpg
502KB, 1920x1080px
>>50123312
>questline idea: The wizard of a local lord has locked himself and the leading noble family away in their home castle, and constructed a hedge maze guarded by leaf sculptures of monsters that come to life when they detect intruders. Final bossfight is the Hedge Wizard and his leaf sculpture dragon that he hasn't fully finished crafting

Hey lads, I'm gonna be attempting to run a roll20 campaign here soon and I have a question

what the fuck do I do about maps and shit? Finding stuff that suit my needs is really hard, and I can't just draw shit on a grid like I'd do IRL cause that'd look shitty on roll20.

I have considered using those pathfinder/dnd map set pdfs and converting them into images to use as the maps, but it's a pain in the ass

Do we have a big resource for maps and stuff from Roll20's marketplace?
>>
Anyone have high res maps from Volos?
>>
>>50123312
Instead it auto-crits with the greatsword while he has more than half HP.
>>
Aasimar are really good now.
+level damage on something every round for 10 rounds yes please.
>>
>>50123460
I talked to the Roll20 tokens/art anon about ripping them two threads ago but never got an answer.
>>
>>50123467
No, it adds extra damage but its not an auto hit
>>
>>50123477

Scourge aasimar lighting up their goku aura, turning into an octopus, and grappling enemies so they're forced to stay in the aura fuck yea.
>>
Post ideas for Hermit discoveries
>>
>>50123656
Leperism.
>>
The 5e monster stat blocks are growing on me.
>>
>>50123656
One of those old, really specific weaknesses that monsters in old time folklore tend to have. Or the Lich's phylactery being hidden in an egg.
>>
>>50123656
A bigger shell to call home.
>>
>>50122924
This. I really fucking hate weapon and armour proficiency for hobgobs because I feel like I'm just wasting my race's potential if I go fighter or barbarians. I would much rather some sort of super proficiency with certain weapons or extra damage or something. At least then I don't run into the issue of me wasting weapon proficiencies if I decide to just be a fighter.
>>
>>50123656
He's actually a fictional character inside of a shared hallucination.
>>
>>50123796
It would have been nice if there were small benefits if you already had proficiency with racial weapons, like an extra point of damage, or reduced weight on any armor.
>>
Probably stupid question,
Does sun souls light bolt count as an attack for extra attack?
>>
>>50123892
Think so, even though it says it's a ranged spell attack
>>
>>50123436

You can draw your own maps, caves for example take some big boulders and blow them up to form cave walls, use some dirt tiling
>>
>>50123697
You can get them excised pretty easily, their AC doesn't get very high.
>>
>>50123697
I'd see a dermatologist, anon, that doesn't sound normal.
>>
>>50123892
Yes.
>>
At first I wasn't impressed by the races in Volo's... and then. I've read the reactions of the fans and the deluge of terrible ideas for alternatives and I walk away with a much greater appreciation for what got printed.
>>
>>50123902
It says that you use it with the attack action, but it also says that its a spell attack, so its a bit confusing, but if >>50123939 and my DM agrees then it should be good
>>
>>50123949
It's a bit unclear, though since it's effectively just a fancy ranged attack, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. It'd be kinda lame otherwise, since it'd fall behind normal punching if you couldn't get the full flurry of 4.
>>
>>50123927
>>50123932
Top kek.

>>50123943
???
>>
>>50123970
I could understand maybe trading the bonus action attack for range, but not 100% on the extra attack thing
>>
>>50123892
>>50123949
It's not a stupid question, it would've been nice if it just said so. But the specific wording is "when you take the Attack action." Extra Attack allows you to make a second attack upon taking the Attack action. It'd be different if it said, "You can use an action to make a ranged spell attack." That would imply the ranged spell attack is in and of itself an action, but that isn't what it says, it calls it out as an Attack action, so as for as action economy is considered it is "an attack," and not "casting a spell" or "a feature with the cost of 1 action."

That's my understanding.
>>
File: i love the phb.png (196KB, 901x382px) Image search: [Google]
i love the phb.png
196KB, 901x382px
>>50123943
Most people's complaints with the races are easily fixed without huge overhauls, people seem to completely ignore that.

>Let Hobgoblins trade out Martial Training for +1 Str or Dex so they can be good martials

>Let Kobold pack tactics only apply to 2 rolls per short rest so they don't have advantage at all times
>let them make one of the kobold inventor's inventions on a short rest like lizardfolk have so they're not feature-poor

>Make Bugbear extra reach only work with non-reach weapons to avoid 20 foot reach shenanigans

>Let Kenku talk by stringing different mimicked words together to avoid the most annoying shit possible

>Let Goblins use Nimple Escape only twice per short rest to avoid completely stelling on rogues' toes

I actually don't care about any of the supposed imbalance, I'm letting players play them RAW if they're appropriate.
>>
>>50124015
To me what's less clear is whether it can trigger a bonus action unarmed strike via Martial Arts. Martial Arts requires you to use your attacks to make unarmed strikes or attacks with monk weapons, but your ki blast follows all the same rules as Martial Arts. It even says you use its die without specifying that you're copying Martial Arts, as if it's obvious that's what it is. But if it is obviously Martial Arts, why bother explaining all the rules of Martial Arts all over again? Just call it a monk weapon. They didn't, so I guess it isn't.
>>
>>50124088
Basically: you can use the sun bolt at range, but that sacrifices your bonus attack, but you can spend a ki point to flurry with your sun bolts anyway.

It's a trade-off of range for flat power.
>>
>>50124075
>complaints with the races
>the Kenku problem is addressed already in a special box under them
>the other problems are addressed at the beginning of the section, letting DMs know the monster races are probably imbalanced and just tacked on to "appease" the kobold fetishists

So, basically, there are no complaints.
>>
>>50124075
Hobgoblins will still be a shitty race if you give them another attribute point.

>nerfing kobolds
>nerfing bugbears
>nerfing goblins

If you're playing a kenku just use a fucking soundboard.
>>
>>50124075
>so they can be good martials
I mean hobgoblins aren't bad martials, +2 constitution is pretty nice especially since parry effectively gives you extra hit points as do heavy armour master and tough. The real issue is that for a class that is primarily supposed to be martials, you gain very little and lose a lot by choosing a martial class.

That being said +1 strength in addition to the constitution and intelligence bonuses would be good and would help avoid hobgoblin wizards.
>>
>>50124118

What is the final solution to the Kenku problem?
>>
>>50124160
Yeah, being able to trade the weapon and armor proficiency for a point of strength solves a lot of the issue, since then you can ditch a more useless feature for 16 starting strength, which is more than enough to make use of the other features.
>>
>>50124160
>PC hobgoblins
>parry
>>
What's your favorite stat block in VGM?
>>
>>50124196
Catoblepas hands down.
>>
>>50122713
> skirmisher type
Light armor for sure but should it be a sword and shield or two weapon fighter?

Would a ranger fit the bill or a dex fighter? Ranger so it will fit both the archer and swordsman archetype but I can get battle master and learn to fighting moves, archery and dueling
>>
File: woolie dnd.png (423KB, 637x358px) Image search: [Google]
woolie dnd.png
423KB, 637x358px
>>50124210
>a standard, kind of big monster
>with a death ray
That's a good one, too.
>>
>>50124224
They're fucking great
>>
>>50124212
I'd say two weapon. Shield has too much durability going for it. Probably dex based with shortswords or daggers.
>>
>>50124161
Well, the info box really just says don't sit there playing fucking charades the whole time when you can just say, "I make noises like wet flesh slapping against each other."

As for sounding like Bumblebee from Transformers, just don't write your character as having lived in a fucking hole his whole life. There's probably a ton of common phrases they know and wait for your party members to say more specific shit first (like names) before opening your trap.

This really isn't a problem. It's just meant to be a flavor for the race. You're perfectly capable of not being an annoying twat.
>>
>>50124224
Someone asked it last thread, I'm asking it again:
"Zaibatsu Plays D&D" when???
Even if it's a 10-minute one-off video I want to watch that glorious mess. Or they could live stream it in the new office.
Mostly I just want to watch them throw dice and talk shit about dragons.
>>
>>50124191
Where is it stated that PC goblins can't be a weapon master fighter?
>>
>>50124269
Yeah, otherwise Kenku would just have to metagame and have the party Wizard slowly recite each word in the dictionary one at a time.

Just have their speech be a bit broken up. It's a dumb idea that a Kenku won't be able to break up words by meaning to get across a similar topic
>>
>>50124212
>hawk
>can't fly

Shit hawk. Should be Tempest Cleric or Wot4E Monk.
>>
>>50124300
I don't know who was ever talking about one specific maneuver of one specific archetype of one specific class, since battle master was mentioned not a single time in this reply chain.
That's at the same time that hobgoblin warlords in the monster manual actually get the parry feature to them ^_^
>>
>>50122129
Its tactically great if you have a rogue in sneak attack position, a paladin who can lay down more smite, or someone with a lot of damage riders queued up from a buff.
>>
>>50122129
only with a rogue
>>
>>50124351
I mentioned that parry is effectively the same as free HP which would synergize with with hobgoblins since they have a high constitution. The guy I was responding do seemed to imply that PC hobgoblins couldn't parry for some reason.
>>
>>50124336
Especially when their entire race are "followers." If you're playing a kenku, you're probably not the one making elaborate plans and discussing politics with nobles and shit. There's nothing wrong with playing it silly, but it's only a "problem" if the player makes it one.

>>50124300
You confused him. Honestly, I had to read your post four times to get what you were saying. It sounded like you were saying Hobgoblins inherently get those traits. Since the Hobgoblin Warlord or whatever gets Parry, he probably assumed you didn't actually look at the race and just presumed PCs got a built-in parry, too.

>>50124191
He wasn't saying Hobgoblins get parry. Read the whole sentence. He's comparing the martial advantage of having +2 CON to class features and feats that also provide martials with tankiness.
>>
>>50124401
Hobgoblin PCs can't use NPC parry, no ^_^
>>
>>50124424
Yeah, Kenku not being the leader is fine, since they're not overly creative. But without the ability to mix and match, they wouldn't be able to go 'the sky is' 'blue', after hearing 'the sky is cloudy' and 'my favorite color is blue', which is kind of ridiculous.
>>
>>50121342
>https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ
Where is the Volo's guide, Eggman?
>>
>>50124466
Rulebooks -> Supplements.
>>
>>50124548
Thanks
>>
>>50124196
Korred
>>
>>50121594
I fucking love that picture. He looks so eager to do whatever it is he's getting ready for
>oooh ooh oh! I can't wait to go to Krakentoa's this weekend! The whol cult is going to be there!
Can someone photoshop this to make it a proper reaction image? Maybe give it a red background?
>>
>>50124457
Mixing and matching is fine. I'm just saying the kenku thing is just roleplaying fluff.

Let me ask you this: do you talk in an accent when you play D&D? Most people don't. So how would you even tell the kenku player is mixing and matching? To everyone else at the table, he's just talking like a normal person. NPCs should probably be able to tell, though, that they sound weird.

And if your table does take the roleplaying more seriously, then kenku is a great race to play because it allows you to improvise a lot of clever or funny dialogue. Just know nothing is FORCING you to.

The bottom line is that if someone is being annoying as a kenku, it probably has less to do with the character and more to do with the player.
>>
>>50124637
He should make the two thumbs up gesture.
>>
>>50124196
Your Mom.
>>
>>50124430
I didn't claim they could. Besides defensive duelist is effectively the same thing, reaction to increase AC.
>>
>>50121359
>Pendleton Ward
Ewww
>>
Wizards should really have brought back the ethergaunts. They were freaking great.
>>
What are some good ways to abstract clashes between armies, with the PCs present?
>>
File: wild_nacatl_by_wayne_reynolds.jpg (248KB, 640x473px) Image search: [Google]
wild_nacatl_by_wayne_reynolds.jpg
248KB, 640x473px
>There's now an officially sanctioned cat girl race
Where were you when 5e was kill?
>>
>>50124764
>Hating on Nacatl

You should be kill
>>
>>50124764
>implying
Furry shit. Next.
>>
>>50124658
>Who's got two thumbs up and just invented a god?

I feel bad for the kuo-toa. Didn't they basically invent martial arts? Humans forced them underground where they were enslaved and mindfucked by illithid and now they get slaughtered by drow. It ain't easy being a slippery fishman.

>>50124764
They're actually pretty cool. I've never, in my entire life, desired to play a cat-person before, but I'm kinda' digging it now. They're not Mithra/Miqo'te tier, but they're not Khajit/Shifter tier either. They're in a good place.
>>
Do you ban Aarakocra? In light of discussions of whether flying speed on a race is OP or not / if it's worth the same as breath weapon on the balance charts.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11584792
>>
>>50124761
You mean like having the PCs participate?

My preferred method is to scale up a Swarm of Rats, except make it a block of soldiers instead. Basically just treat army units as individual creatures. This works better at high levels when the players can clash against an army alone, but you essentially just need to give each PC a squad to sit in that can take hits for them while they support and help take out enemy squads.
>>
>>50124761

would suggest one of the two, the first for Battle of the Five armies intensive, the second for skirmishes/Crusader level combat.

Cinematic: Whoever the PCs interact with roll, for everyone else treat them as background noise and have the battlefield change on the story/actions.

Squad: Break the armies up in to squads and roll between them as a single unit representative of all squads. Average the physical stats and go off any leader's mental stat. You could then treat the PCs as a squad or have them each lead a squad.
>>
>>50124830
It's not that I ban aarakocra for mechanical reasons, it's more that they just don't fit in any of the settings I run games in.
>>
>>50124830
Depends on the level of the game.
>>
>>50124851
I'd say then they're just not in the setting, rather than explicitly banned. But that is a fair third option, didn't consider it.
>>
>>50124830
I'd probably allow them if they fit the setting, barring someone trying to abuse them with a weird grappler build.
>>
>>50124855
Just as a race. Like the tiefling gets incremental powers at 3rd and 5th level, races are meant to be fairly balanced across all levels of play.
>>
>>50124883
I think he means more that he might ban it at low levels where flight should be rare, but allow it at high levels where at-will flight is common, or fly spells are plentiful.
>>
>>50121342
So:

Dis/Advantage serves 2 purposes, as I see it.

>1. Cut down on number tracking.
>2. Keep numbers from scaling out of control (bounded accuracy)

It averages out to a +5 without letting you roll above a 20.

Anything I'm missing?
>>
How do bards fit in your homebrew settings?
>>
>>50124883
Like I said, depends on the level of the game.

Is that a particularly hard concept to grasp?
>>
>>50124915
It's music magic. Why you use it, how you use it, or how you treat it is up to you.
>>
>>50124917
wew
>>
>>50124909
It's more of a +3.5 or something I think? Average is like 14.2 with advantage and 7.8 without (keep in mind 10.5 is normal average not 10) I think. It also means you can't stack many different advantages, and number increases like Pass Without Trace are needed for further bonuses.
>>
New DM here. Rather than waiting for someone to teach me and my friends to play, I decided to pick up the reigns.
Where do I start? I constructed a town with some NPC but it feels... vanilla? for lack of a better word. What type of story should I use to introduce D&D and how to play for myself as well as the players?
Should I start from scratch (like I am now) or is there an official (or unofficial) starter story worth exploring first?
>>
Are Eldritch Knights bad? I remember a lot of consensus of them being horrible when the PHB first came out. A player of mine wants to try one I don't want him to feel underpowered
>>
>>50124909
It averages out to a +- 3.325 if you do the math, actually.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (71KB, 978x367px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
71KB, 978x367px
hey guys, I'm gonna be running LMoP on Roll20 and I'm having some issues

the maps they provided were garbage and tiny so I found some custom mad maps for all the major LMoP locations

Problem is, their filesize is fucking huge. The Phandalin map is 18mb, and Roll20's filesize limit is fucking 5mb.

Compressing them down makes them look like ass close up (pic related, though it looks better than that snipping tool just sucks)

What do? Anyone here LMoP and if so how did you go about the map logistics of it?

>>50124958
LMoP is nice, I played through it once.

Get the 5e starter set on amazon for like sub $20, it comes with LMoP and most of what you'd need to play
>>
>>50124960
They're better than champions for damn sure.
I think they're fine - you can get really good shit like shield and absorb elements *on a fucking fighter* chasis. That alone already makes the archetype better than champion.
>>
>>50124917
I'm not really asking for how you treat them in your game, but what you think of them in general, if you think they are OP or not. It seems you think they're OP on lower levels so thanks for contributing.
>>
>>50124958

If you're just getting the hang of things, I'd recommend starting with the Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure that comes with the starter set. You all get a nice constructed adventure to learn in and good times will be had. After that you can move onto other official campaigns or your own homebew adventures.

>>50124960

They're excellent if you want to be tanky as fuck. Fighter is a solid class so it's hard to be a 'bad' one, and EKs function perfectly fine.

Also as an aside, I'm playing through SKT and the giants section in Volo was very interesting and probably my favorite of all the lore.
>>
File: 1474659625820.png (341KB, 582x900px) Image search: [Google]
1474659625820.png
341KB, 582x900px
>>50124979
Doesn't that make you a shitty turtling defensive fighter?
>>
>>50125001
No - those are reaction spells.
You can do all your normal shit, and then have those as outlets when shit is used against you out of your own turn.
Absorb elements even adds to your offensive power - it's a fucking amazing 1st level spell
>>
>>50124958

Starting from scratch can provide an understanding of the rules/systems that pre-mades might not teach you, depending if you take the time to teach yourself. Don't worry about your beginning village being bland, it's better than being special snowflake. After all, most typical villages in medieval [place] were probably bland.

If you choose to start from a town then outline the local landscape and anything that might be of interest [plothooks, rumors, local politics, people of importance] and begin to flesh out areas your players are likely to go. Try avoiding developing the entire kingdom at once as that's a quick way to burn yourself out. Your players will also may you think of things you might not normally have. But, as you progress from that village, do flesh things out and breath life into the world.

Lastly, major landscapes/kingdoms might be a good place to create skeletons for after your village and surrounding area. Create a general structure that is usable and see where your party takes you.

I don't mean to sound commanding, just giving advice.
>>
>>50124960
They're magical tanks with some utility/versatility. Their major problem is that the level 3 weapon bond feature is pretty much completely fluff, and their spellcasting progression is pure ass.

If you really feel like it's weak, give it halfcaster spell progression (paladin/ranger spell progression). More spells and higher levels of spells. That would be pretty busted though honestly.

at level 7 is when they shine, cantrip + attack is great.
>>
>>50125001
You also deal more damage level 3-4 and 7-10 through Green flame blade/booming blade cantrips. Even beyond that it can be nice situationally from 11-18. You're not using any actions to be tanky, unless you're using Blur and stuff which is still good.
>>
>>50125022
My last questions: Do I develop my world first and find/make a story within it? Or do I work out the story I want to tell, then develop a world for that to exist in?
Or is it just a matter of whichever I find easier/prefer?

For example: Do I create Middle Earth and find the story? Or Do I create The Lord of The Rings and mold Middle Earth from it?
>>
>>50125059
I personally find it easier to make a world and find the stories in it, though it is a matter of preference.
>>
>>50125059

Anon you're responding to here.

It depends on you. I've had equal success making worlds for a specific story and I've had success creating worlds and fitting stories within. Personally, I prefer creating worlds as that gives it a much longer shelf life for multiple groups/years, but it requires a lot of work.

You could always do a hybrid and create the initial world around a story, create the rest of the world while the party is on that story, and then spread it out. Sorry if it's not an answer, but it is preference and one may work, both may work, or none and you'll develop your own style.
>>
>>50121342
Hey /5eg/, I've made a character and joined a campaign, but I'm unsure of the spells I've chosen and unsure of what multiclassing I want to look at.

I am playing a Ranger, using the UA and the Deep Stalker Conclave, Defensive fighting style. Human (Variant) with Greatweapon Mastery as my feat, we're 5th level, and my statline is 20/16/16/10/11/10 (group wanted rolling and I rolled quite well).

In terms of spells, I'm mostly looking at things that don't use attacks/saves, since I don't have a great Wis. I currently have Cure Wounds, Pass Without Trace, Silence, and Longstrider. These spells were somewhat thematically chosen (as well as based on utility) - my character is essentially a manhunter, though he doesn't have qualms with taking jobs to hunt beasties and the like. Do you fine folks have any suggestions for other spells I should look at or use?

As far as multiclassing goes, I was looking at probably going with Fighter or Barbarian. I entertained the idea of taking some levels in Rogue, but that would necessitate rebuilding my character to use finesse weapons and would take some rewriting/retooling.

Fighter really seems like the strongest choice, even if it's only a one or two level dip - the addition of Second Wind and Action Surge really spice things up. It's a shame that you can't take a second Fighting Style, though I understand why.

If anyone has any questions they need to ask before they can give advice (party compositon/etc), let me know!
>>
>>50125145
>defensive fighting style
>GWM as ranger
>str ranger
I am being mocked
>>
>>50125145
>It's a shame that you can't take a second Fighting Style, though I understand why.
By my reading, you can take multiple fighting styles if you get the ability multiple times, you just can't pick the same one twice.
>>
>>50124947
>Pass without trace for further bonuses
I don't have the book in front of me atm.

What does pass without trace give you?

What other types of bonuses are there besides advantage and what gives them?
>>
>>50125059
Setting up the world/area first tends to be easier and less likely to lead to railroading, but of course more time-consuming once you get really into it. Think of a few events/schemes going on in locations the players are headed, and they'll gravitate towards what they're interested in.

Also worth asking your friends what sort of things they think they might want to do, so that you're not just throwing stuff at a wall to see what sticks.
>>
>>50125145
You're using a greatsword and didn't take GWF as your style?

I know rangers don't get it but shit. Beg him for it
>>
>>50125185
pwat gives you +10 to stealth ability checks
it's really hilariously good

>>50125182
you can, indeed, choose another fighting style if another class offers you a fighting style choice
if you were fighter 1/paladin 2/ranger 2 you would have three different fighting styles
>>
How common are "bags of holding"? Is it a cop out if I give my players one? Or should it be a reward at the end of a quest?
>>
>>50125221
should be a pretty significant reward, I give one out at level 3-5
>>
>>50125145
Out of curiousity, how do you like 2h ranger? I've wanted to do a halforc greatsword ranger for a while and I'm curious how it feels in play.
>>
>>50125232
I like em but thats only because of Minsc
>>
File: jek.png (6KB, 64x44px) Image search: [Google]
jek.png
6KB, 64x44px
>>50125221
>How common are "bags of holding"
>>
>>50125221

Depends. High fantasy world were magic is every cobble stone? Sure, give them one.

Middle fantasy? Make them earn it. This is most preferable as they realize you wont give them freebies and it'll make their items worth something to them.

Low fantasy? Hah. A bag of holding? Hope they did something grand for that.
>>
>>50125221
Depends entirely on if you're tracking encumbrance and/or bulk. If you are, they're a godsend. If you're not, they're pretty useless.
>>
>>50125221
Depends, do you like them tracking encumbrance and inventory? If you do, you shouldn't give them one. If you don't, you can give it as a pretty nice reward at around level 5.
>>
>>50125059
I like to make my factions and major players and faction rosters (including common squad deployments with variations at different encounter levels) , map out their territories, and then based on that, map out a bunch of random encounter regions (in this case, many of the encounters will be random story events and such rather than all combat emcounters).

Then the game goes where the pcs take it, and I rely heavily on tables that access my pregenerated content.

It works well for me, better than most other approaches I've tried in the past 17 years, and I started the same way you're starting back when I was like, 12.

I also make use of random generators for all kinds of things, including NPCs.

The longer you play a given edition this way, the more campaign resources you accumulate, which makes future campaigns easier to prepare for.

But for the record: most GMs don't GM this way.
>>
>>50125232
If you wanna be a STR Ranger, you really should start Fighter.

Great Weapon Fighter plus Heavy Armor proficiency is a godsend for you. Second wind is neat too. Take another level for Action Surge, and then maybe another for Battlemaster. Any martial benefits so much from 1-6 levels in fighter it's absurd.

Seriously maneuvers are so great. Riposte, Precision attack, Trip attack.
>>
>>50125212
>+flat bonuses
I thought this being avoided like the plague in 5e.

Im converting a 3.x adventure.

Can I safely convert over +skill items? How would I do so?

I'd rather keep the treasure than scrap it all.
>>
>>50125212
If I'm home brewing something, when should I be using advantage, and when should I be using +bonuses?
>>
>>50125346
Advantage is, in my mind, something that is given for some reason.

IE, a Barbarian who is Reckless Attacking is getting Advantage because he's disregarding his own defense and going full offense

simple + modifiers just are representative of how good/bad a creature is at something.

So to answer, you should pretty much never be just doing + whatever bonuses. They just don't really fit in 5e that much, besides for a couple occurrences like GWM, Sharpshooter, pass without a trace. And all of those examples are things that are really really fucking good
>>
If a mystic were reduced to a living brain in a jar, would their power/s still work?
>>
>>50125325
Don't make them +bonus items.
Either make them give advantage or provide proficiency.
>>
>>50125432
Elder brains do, so I don't see why not.
>>
>>50125432
Yes, although you still can't:
-See
-Move
-Talk

There are ways around this, but they require judicious selection of your powers.
>>
>>50123656
Found the secret to being a god, but you have to die in a really specific way that can only be accomplished by doing a series of tasks that tends to involve adventurer's harvesting monster parts for you for a while. Also maybe committing suicide in a strange way,
>>
>>50125432
Has anyone played a mystic, particular the take two version? They seem interesting, but a little clunky, how do they play out in an actual game?
>>
>>50124764
I prefer my cat people with less muzzle.

Like >>50124811 but with less waifu.

Make them savages that can appear human, but have to work to do so- filing down claws, hiding their ears, shaving their hands / feet, etc.
>>
>>50125480
Like the Uncertainty Lich?
>>
>>50121342
Haven't seen the new Goblin stats. What's a fun class to pair with them?
>>
>>50125346
>>50125325
Almost never do flat bonuses, only do it when you want a (usually higher level feature or spell) to give a benefit to something but advantage wouldn't help much. Pass without trace goes by the logic that certain characters could already have advantage and since it affects many characters, it feels bad when some of them gain no benefit just because they were already good at it. This way, it simply makes the party better at stealth regardless of how they're set up.
>>
>>50125568
PWT also accounts for the party's non-stealthy guys who have disadvantage on stealth for sure.

+10 with disadvantage is way better than a normal roll.
>>
>>50125504
new mystic is being realeased like next week

I played one, they're broken in their current form. Order of the Awakened gets on the fly proficiencies with anything and a bunch of other stupid shit, order of the immortal gets a Psychic damage 1d10 smite that they expend Psi points on up to a maximum of like fucking 5d10
>>
>>50125565

Dex fighter. Their bonus ability lets them hide or disengage like a rogue, so you can dip in and out of combat with a rapier peppering your enemies.
>>
>>50125398
>Pass without a trace
The stealth spell

A thing that Improves your stealthing.
+10

Meanwhile a cloak of elven kind gives advantage to you and disadvantage to them.

So, what is it that makes it okay when pwat does it?

>>50125568
Okay, so, when is it reasonable to make something be designed to stack with advantage?

Like, level 12?

I have a lot of old adventures in going to want to use at some point, so I'd like to get a better handle on when to use which approach.
>>
>>50125590
That is true, and in general too I realize I didn't include that +10 is way better than advantage so if advantage simply isn't powerful enough numerical bonuses can be used. At the same time, they are usually the most boring features.
>>
>>50125565
For me, I would say Ranger. Getting a Dex bonus along with some of the benefits of a Rogue could make for a fun skirmisher type character. Fighter could work as well. It basically just saves you a 2 level dip in rogue for some nice stuff, though if you still want some you can just dip 1 level instead.
>>
>>50125618
I'd say around 10, but it's a very dynamic thing and I wouldn't write it down as a rule. Look at the features that let you simply hit when you would miss, or take 10 if it's below 10, there are other ways of modifying rolls that are there so that that feature/the source of the advantage aren't nullified if you have both.
>>
How do you usually describe what your character looks like?

Do you just find some deivantart images? Or just go description?

I'm not sure what players prefer.
>>
I go with both. I like to have a good description combined with a close-enough image for token purposes.
>>
>>50125667
>deivantart
I usually just google keywords that fit, write image text explaining how they are different because an exact fit is hard to find, and write a short paragraph about their appearance, gear, wepaons etc.
>>
>>50125667
I usually either write up a general description for RL games, or delve through image galleries for fitting art for an online game.
>>
>>50125676
>>50125693
>>50125717
thanks!
>>
>>50125612
Hopefully we'll get the other two orders as well
>>
What would people recommend to make custom monster blocks?
>>
I plan on rolling a totem barbarian in my next game. What weapons am I best to use? Anyone have any fun barbarian builds to try out?
>>
>>50125892

do you want to be damage-y or tank-y? If damage-y, then a greataxe. If tanky, any strength based 1H weapon and a shield.
>>
>>50125667
I use descriptions. Unfortunately I have a very vivid image of what my characters look like, so I try to "dumb it down" to a few key details when describing them to my DM.

Usually by way of "they're like X but with Y". Like, I once planned a fighter/rogue that I described as "Connie from Steven Universe, but dressed like Piccolo from DBZ". The character in question had only the most superficial resemblance to either of those, but it was short, concise, and got across that Zen-Swordsman vibe I wanted my DM to get from me for that adventure.

Ended up not playing it. Forever DM.
>>
>>50124811
Why do I keep clicking on this omg
>>
>>50125906
That sounds intensely gay
>>
>>50125924
The second I see a spoilered file in this thread, I just go "It's shittywaifus.pdf" and ignore it. I advise you do the same.
>>
>>50125931
It probably is, but fuck you all the same strange anonymous internet guy.
>>
>>50124811
>spoilering PDFs

HEY!

Cut that shit out
>>
Mage Armor should let you use your casting mod instead of Dex for AC

Discuss
>>
>>50125967
Nah.
>>
File: DammitAsianMoot.png (48KB, 925x352px) Image search: [Google]
DammitAsianMoot.png
48KB, 925x352px
>>50121342
>that PDF
What has Hiroshima done now?
>>
>>50125967
Only if it's 10+mod instead of 13+Dex.
>>
>>50126033
Ilike it
>>
Quetzalcoatlus and Dimetrodon weren't dinosaurs wtf this book is terrible.
>>
File: cover_500[1].jpg (262KB, 500x682px) Image search: [Google]
cover_500[1].jpg
262KB, 500x682px
I'm considering running a 5e game, I really enjoy the Greyhawk setting, have they come up with a setting guide or anything?
I've heard that this system is pretty customizable, I'm just curious about how much leg work I need to do to get the races and monster
>>
>>50126029
Works for me (tm).
>>
I'm reading Scag. First off....its fucking boring as shit at first. Doesn't get interesting till halfway through the description of the major towns/cities. The books is filled with typos and a few grammatical errors. The class options are underwheliming to say the least. I did like the race descriptions and content. I'm "meh" about the pre=gen backgrounds in both SCAG and PHB. WotC has a brass set of balls with the MSRP for the book. So glad I didn't buy the piece of shit. The purple duck knight is just fucking dumb.
>>
>>50125667

descriptions unless I get something amazingly fitting from pinterest, and even then I only use it as a token for when they are fighting against/alongside the party
>>
Are there any more specific rules about animal handling than "roll to make the wolf docile"? I can't find them anywhere.
>>
>>50126257
You can't even make a wolf docile.
Handle Animal check are for domesticated animal like horse or dog. You can't use it to stop or control wild creature.
>>
>>50121513
They are all races of goblinoids.
>>
I'm thinking about doing a sailor/storm based character in my upcoming game. I'd essentially like to be able to do a fuck ton of lightning and thunder damage. What are the pros and cons of storm sorcerer and/or tempest cleric? Any other suggestions? Any good feats to take?
>>
>>50126099
Greyhawk hasn't had any setting books out for it since 2e. Even in 3.5e, where Greyhawk was the default setting, its actual lore support was basically nil.

But if you use the setting for the fluff and replace mechanical stuff with their 5e counterparts, it should be fine.
>>
>>50123656
Skub
>>
>>50125967
For what calculation? 13 + casting mod?
>>
>>50125967
>wanting to be SAD
no
>>
>>50126293
Nah published adventure Lost Mines of Phandelver has hungry wolves which can be placated with a succesfull Animal Handling check
>>
>>50126366
Tempest Cleric is fuckin baller, most notably for the automax damage dice feat
>>
>>50126491
Do they have enough good spells to take advantage of this? Im hesitant on clerics because I'm not a big fan of the anti undead theme of the class, it seems a bit too situational. In practice is that a very big part of the class?
>>
>>50125892
Totem bearbarian and sit back and enjoy saying fuck off to all your DMs attempts to kill you

I would suggest getting mind shuelding magic item or proficiency in wisdom saving throws as mind control is the best way to counter bearbarian

Psychic foes like illithids will go through you like butter however
>>
>>50126504
They have a single feature dedicated to undead - Turn/Destroy Undead

Ita a great ability which when 40 pirate zombies climb on board your ship you will be grateful for
>>
File: 1250976945043.jpg (2MB, 1086x1517px) Image search: [Google]
1250976945043.jpg
2MB, 1086x1517px
>>50125892
>>50125900

A shield isn't bad for offense either if you get Shield Master and are fighting things that can be knocked prone by it. Advantage on your attacks does help, and you're also enjoying that +2 AC when the monster inevitably swings back at you.

Why the fuck don't martial classes get free feats just for being martial?
>>
>>50126565
Shield master is wasted on barbarian as their dex saves are already made with advantage and they can get a totem to knock prone enemies
>>
>>50126565
Both fighter and rogue get additional ASIs compared to other classes.
>>
>>50125892

Well, do you want to be the unkillable barbarian? Play a Yuan-Ti, go totem (bear) at level 3, take Resilient (Wis) at level 4. Congratulations, you'll never fail a relevant spell save ever again, you take 1/2 damage from almost everything and are totally immune to poison.

But that's not a very barbarian-y build due to the necessary low str and con so don't play it if you really want to experience what the class is all about.
>>
>>50126575
>they can get a totem to knock prone enemies

At level 14, while raging only, and at the cost of the totem that lets you fly while raging.
>>
>>50126601
Autism wont let me double down on features
>>
>>50126601
>>50126600
>>50126575
>>50126517
Being unkillable is the kind of direction I want to go in. It just seems a bit MAD, like I need max con, dex and strength. Anyone have any ideas on how I can deal fuck tons of damage while still being tanky?... or do I pretty much have to sacrifice one or the other?
>>
>>50122129
Secret plot by the jews/wizards to make you waste a battlemaster choice
>>
>>50125892

Barbarian is actually pretty easy to break down

Bearbarian-Wield a 2H weapon crush all the things have virtually double HP thanks to rage and watch those Wis saves. This ones easy to play its damn effective so long as you get Great Weapon master.Greataxe works fine while a Halberd is good if you can afford PAM feat

Sword & Boardbarian-Take Wolf totem and Shield master S&B and shut down a lot of things by knocking them on their rear ends with advantage and giving allies advantage on attack rolls. This is more party dependent while still putting out decent damage

Mage Killer-You get a large movement rate Eagle totem to shrug off OAs from minions while giving you a bonus action dash and the Mage Slayer feat to make spellcasters lives miserable. Weapon choice is wide open. Its a niche build that may not be for every game but can be pretty good at what it does
>>
>>50126625
You dont HAVE to be unarmoured just use medium armour and the 14 dex you start with will be enough

You get plenty of extra damage from rage and brutal criticals and you can use reckless to get advantage
>>
>>50126638
IS there an easy way to get a Wis saving throw proficiency/advantage? Why is Wis so important, is that what psychic damage targets?
>>50126645
Where does the bulk of the damage come from if they only get two attacks? Like rogues get sneak attacks, fighters get 4 attacks, casters have spells etc.
>>
>>50126638

Shit you do as a Barbarian

Know how much you can rage. You can only do it so many times a day and before level 15 you can drop out of it by something as simple as not being able to reach an enemy that round.BFC type effects can actually be a bigger pain in the ass than Wis saves because of that

You can get a good AC by blocking with your pecs and a good Con will serve you better than a good Dex.You have class features that improve Initiative and Dex saves while more HP are better thanks to your resistances.If you roll great then by all means be a naked Barbarian but if not Str>Con>Dex

Remember you dont HAVE to stick with the same totem everytime you get an ability from them.You could grab Bear DR Eagle eyes and Wolf tripping if you want or any combination depending on what you want to do
>>
>>50126693

Resilient Wis is the only way. The biggest problem is being left sitting there twiddling your thumbs in a Hypnotic pattern or getting charmed to not hit the enemy wizard and shit like that.Psychic damage is so rare its a footnote and usually targets Int so dont sweat it

For damage dealing if your a 2Her you use that -5/+10 feat to constantly put out around 20 damage an attack and it tends to score more than enough damage to make up for the occasional miss. Of course you dont miss because you have a class feature that gives you advantage on any attack you feel like and you dont care about them striking back because your too tough and they are too dead. Without that you still have extra rage damage crit chance and lets be honest you got a good strength
>>
The Dragon Masks from tyranny of dragons give you a stacking benefit:
>You gain resistance to acid.
>If you already have it, you gain immunity instead
>If you already have immunity, you instead regain HP equal to half damage dealt.

So... how could you already have immunity?
>>
File: hobgoblinRaiders.jpg (350KB, 983x1284px) Image search: [Google]
hobgoblinRaiders.jpg
350KB, 983x1284px
>Read the lore for Hobgoblins
>Expect Mongols but with goblin faces
>They ARE mobile during war
>But, they live sedentary lives during peace times
What is this shit, the Yuan dynasty?
>>
Anon I come to you asking if I should feel guilty about my character build and his progress as of level 5. I'm currently running oota with my group and I'm a level 5 rogue and sage background. Decided sage for arcane trickster backstory to fit how I got the ability to cast magic and went High Elf for a little more emphasis. I used the average ability score stats 15, 14, 13, 12, 10 and 8 making my ability score after the level 4 asi 8-18-13-16-12-10. After some story I managed to get a +2 Short Sword. Now we run into my conundrum to in combat using green flame blade I do on average d8, 3d6 +9 if I'm not mistaken and if I am save me?
>>
>>50126761
There is almost never peace times though
>>
Is it possible to cast two cantrips a round without class features like quicken spell?
>>
>>50125876
Bump please.
>>
>>50126800
Yes. Shillelagh is a bonus action cantrip.
>>
>>50126130
Purple dragon knight has been around since 2e. That's nothing new.

But yes. Grab some crunch from scag, and then use the setting books that actually have good stuff in them.

The 3e books typically have the best overviews, and the 2e books have the best "more detail" for stuff you have decided on.
>>
>>50126714
This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for, thank you! Also, is there a 2H weapon that is better than others? Would a maul, greataxe or greatsword be best?
>>
>>50124764
Tabaxi are originally from 2e, and 3e had a first-party race that was straight-up called "catfolk".
>>
>>50126800
Look at the casting times, I believe if one cantrip is a bonus actions, and one is an action, you can cast them in the same turn.
>>
>>50121359
>Penn Ward
I'm excited. Hesitantly nervous. But excited.
>>
>>50126774
+9 from where? You should be doing +6 with +4 in dex and +2 on your weapon. Your spellcasting modifier is only used on the secondary target of GFB
>>
>>50125618
>>50125660

There are some things where you get half proficiency and the like, right? And expertise gets you double.

What are scenarios where you get a modified prof. Bonus.
>>
>>50121767
Not the anon you're responding to, but for fucks sake man, recognize a joke when you see one.
>>
What happens if you get Resistance to something from two separate abilities? Such as Aasimar resistance to radiant damage, and Warlock of the light
>>
>>50126884
Nothing. Resistance never stacks.
>>
>>50126884
>>50126888
RAW and RAI nothing, but some DMs give immunity as a house rule, maybe discuss it with your dm?
>>
>>50126870
>+3 to second npc
If there is a Secondary Target to gain a total of +9 for the bonus +3 damage to said target. I was saying total damage if there were two
>>
>>50126727
Being a dragon
>>
>>50126840

Greataxe works with your bonus to Crits better. Its not going to make an amazing difference bu it will happen enough while reckless attacking that its worth it
>>
>>50126935
At 5th level GFB deals a total of 2d8+int. Since you only accounted for one d8 I figured you were listing the single target damage
You'll probably also deal more than 3d6 since sneak attack would have upgraded by the time you get to 5th level
>>
>>50126975
Damn so I do even more damage...
>>
>>50126975
>>50127004
Sorry if my math was off. We drink while we play and I just got to level five and I was calculating a total damage output or trying to.
>>
>>50126761

The peace is spend preparing for war.

You can't forge weapons and armor on the move, you've got to set your forges and get down to work.
>>
File: 1342507158894.jpg (163KB, 500x446px) Image search: [Google]
1342507158894.jpg
163KB, 500x446px
Which would be better?

>Undead race
>Undead as universal sub-race
>>
>>50127165
Revenant subrace template already exists
>>
>>50127165
Skeletal race template when.
>>
Is there a way to make profit from Lizardfolk ability to make a shield (5gp sell price) during short rest?
>>
>>50127173
I mean yeah, I know, it's neat. Not really what I was asking.
>>
>>50127194
who would buy lizardfolk shitty shields
>>
>>50127198
Revenants are undead
but yeah
I think it would be more interesting to have an undead race, with subraces for zombies, skellies and vampire spawn or something like that
>>
>>50127194
>>50127203
Shield-selling pyramid scheme where you convince other lizardfolk to buy and sell shields for profit.
>>
>>50127194
>>50127226
What about enslaving a tribe of lizardfolks and make them craft shit in a factory?
>>
>>50127232
Personally I don't like going down the slavery route. It's both just plain unappealing and the go-to for schemes by murderhobos.
>>
>>50127248
Sounds like a good plan for an evil group desu.
>>
>>50121342
Hey 5eg!

How can I make thieving and robbery more involved for the whole party? I don't want to leave players out and bored while the rogue has a solo quest going on.
>>
>>50127367
Up security do the less stealthy characters have to do things like run distractions or sabotage security measure. Ya know, turn it into a heist
>>
>>50126366
Storm Sorcerer is fucking awesome, take it and never look back.
Auto-disengage when casting, extra damage, pushing attackers back.
And the lv18 ability is just so good
>>
File: IMG_0199.jpg (176KB, 952x1450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0199.jpg
176KB, 952x1450px
>>50123656
In our campaigns it's always just prophecies relating to the main plot to justify the continued presence of a crazy hermit in the party.
>>
>>50123656
How to survive in the empty void of outer space.
But not how to get up there.
>>
>>50127407
I think I will, what spells pair well with the abilities? Any favourites of yours?
>>
>>50124269
How often do Kenku witness flesh slapping together like that, though? They some kinda perv race?
>>
>>50127192
+2 DEX
-2 CHA
Vulnerable to bludgeoning damage
Immune to poison, can’t be poisoned
Darkvision 60ft
apply this after race selection
>>
>>50127462
You live like a second class citizen in a dingy part of town and sooner or later you're gonna walk across some broad and her john smacking their bits together in some back alley
>>
>>50125667
Use words, son
>>
>>50127492
>skeletal wood elf
>start with +4 dex
seems legit
>>
>>50127492
I was thinking about it, not sure about stats though, maybe I can just use original race stats.
>>
File: 1478407829863.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1478407829863.pdf
1B, 486x500px
What does /5eg/ think of this?
>>
>>50127518
absolutely haram
>>
>>50127492
So a Subrace replacement? I like it!
>>
What if by some quirk of neccessity or whatever invented reason, a child or teenager was ceremorphised?
>>
>>50127532
You misspelled halal.
>>
>>50127504
Just don't be a huge faggot, goddammit
>>
>>50127604
I'm sorry, can't help it
>>
>>50127461
Nothing specific I guess, just pick your spells carefully like you would with any other sorcerer. Also pay attention not to pick spells from level up that have the same niches as your storm origin spells and grab one or two damaging spells from a different element just in case.
>>
>>50127407
???

I dont think storm has auto disengage?
>>
>>50127933
New general is up
>>
>>50127936
>when casting*
*a spell of first level or higher
>>
Light Cleric can blast and heal!
But how do I increase my utility? Should I take Ritual Caster feat?
>>
>>50127943
cast what you were going to cast anyway and get out of danger as a plus
you say it as if it were something with huge conditions
Thread posts: 359
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.