[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDH/Commander General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 54

File: 155.jpg (83KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
155.jpg
83KB, 312x445px
Weak enough, will a cool enough niche, that they deserve Partner edition

Old: >>50093928

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
http://www.magiccards.info
>>
File: wall-cloud-fotolia-600x400.jpg (54KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
wall-cloud-fotolia-600x400.jpg
54KB, 600x400px
I need some Old Testament style decks.
>>
File: 115.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
115.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
>>50110644
>>
Favorite looking set for basic lands?

Just picked up a bunch of Urza's Saga lands. I'd never seen them before but they look amazing.

Do you match your lands, or just toss whatever together?
>>
>>50110672
>or just toss whatever together

Always different arts for me

In modern I run 1 of each art of path to exile
>>
r8 my deck /edh/
Anything I should add/remove?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-jews-require-more-taxes/
>>
>>50110654
>Nebuchadnezzer Old Testament deck
>angels
>leviathans
>WRATH OF GOD
>things like telepathy to abuse nebs ability
>play politically, punishing the "sinners"
>tons of anti black color hate cards
>the new blue and white undaunted spells for the passover and the flood
>pic related

Oh man, I don't even like the bible that much, but that sounds like a fucking awesome deck. Is there a card that turns things into pillars of salt?
>>
File: This card is so awesome.jpg (43KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
This card is so awesome.jpg
43KB, 500x373px
>>50110765
forgot pic.
>>
File: 18.jpg (57KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
57KB, 312x445px
>>50110765
>>
>>50110765
> Is there a card that turns things into pillars of salt?

Counterspells
DEN

Also, Chad is UB, not esper
>>
File: 243.jpg (46KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
243.jpg
46KB, 312x445px
>>50110672
I use lands that compliment the general/colour identity of the deck.

So for example, in a Gruul deck I'll use reddish forests and greenish mountains. Pic related.
>>
>>50110776
>chad is UB
Shit, I'm retarded. not being able to run all those sweet blue white wraths is a bummer. atleast you can take better advantage of his ability though
>>
File: ID-149997.jpg (306KB, 1600x1168px) Image search: [Google]
ID-149997.jpg
306KB, 1600x1168px
>>50110672
I try to match lands. I really like a lot of the Theros lands but I had bailed out for a while before Theros saw play. Right now I try to use full arts for my two decks but I'm gonna run the 2016 precon lands in Atraxa.
>>
File: Shauku, Endbringer_MI.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Shauku, Endbringer_MI.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
Building creatureless black control with either shauku or yukora at the lead.

The question is, what are some staples outside of coffers and whatnot. I'm looking for spicy control that benefits highly off of me having no creatures. Lethal vapors style.

Also, the urge to run crypt ghast or gray merch is rising, please convince me to stay the virgin route of creatureless.
>>
>>50110866
Not Toshiro at the lead? Seems he'd fuel your spells.
>>
File: Image-167.jpg (23KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-167.jpg
23KB, 223x310px
>>50110765
New art for Carbonize or pic related
>>
WHAT IS THE ABSOLUTE ANGRIEST DECK I COULD MAKE
I'M VERY ANGRY AND WANT TO EXPRESS MY RAGE THROUGH A TRADING CARD GAME
>>
File: 217.jpg (78KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
217.jpg
78KB, 312x445px
>>50110877
You mean aside from the obvious?
>>
File: Image-104.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-104.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
>>50110877
>>
>>50110887
I'M NOT JUST TALKING MY COMMANDER, I MEAN THE FULL 9 YARDS
I REEEEALY WANT MY SHIT STACK OF AN OPPONENT TO KNOW THAT I'M PISSED
>>50110888
hey thanks man
>>
>>50110874
Interesting, although I feel as if he isn't flashy enough. I'll consider it though. I almost feel as if the deck can run an assortment of mono B commanders, I like maga, traitor to mortals too
>>
File: Zurgo Helmsmasher_DDN.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Zurgo Helmsmasher_DDN.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>50110877
>>
>>50110912
Well I'm going to bed so you can check out the primer on Salvation and see if the archetype interests you

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/490438-toshiro-umezawa

Obv he runs creatures, I suppose you could consider running fat equipment like Argentum Armor and Batterskull to try and finish your plate instead.
>>
>>50110923

Never noticed, but I like how aside from haste, since its a keyword, its abilities are listed in the same order as its colors
>>
>>50110895

Volrath + Hatred for overkill in a big black deck
>>
File: 18.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>50110866
Koskun Falls for good old fashioned colour pie fuckery.

Also Contamination, of course.
>>
File: Image.jpg (26KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
26KB, 223x310px
>>50110644

Ask not for what you can do for the Lion. But how you may die for him.

For he haveth two cards in his hand and you are not his favorite amongst the players.
>>
File: Image.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>50110877
>>
best 3/3 beast token?
>>
File: 160b.jpg (182KB, 624x445px) Image search: [Google]
160b.jpg
182KB, 624x445px
>>50110491
>tfw casual scum
>tfw you will never Partner Brothers Yamizaki in a shitty EDH deck
>>
File: 85.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
85.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
Want to build a saproling deck with pic related. How much of a madman am I?

Any hidden gems beside the obvious cards like Saproling Symbiosis, Verdant Force or Doubling Season?

Ps: don't mention the 'infinite combo', as it's quite a dumb one.
>>
File: 74.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
74.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>50111443
Beastmaster Ascension
Muraganda Petroglyphs
Sight of the Scalelords if you are running anthem effects
Overwhelming Stampede
Echoing Courage if you want to be a hipster

I dunno, the deck builds itself honestly.
>>
Ah, the pains of deckbuilding, and having access to 4 colours makes it only worse. I'm already not running a bunch of colour staples in the deck, either because they're too expensive for me or because their function is performed already by something else that fits the theme more.

And still I'm 3 cards over 100...

Anyone care for some input? It's Atraxa +1/+1 matters deck with some mild other counters abusing atraxa:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/atraxa-and-her-hydra-friends/

I'm currently thinking maybe cutting one of the following:
>Lux Cannon. I have quite a few removal spells already
>A removal spell, since Lux cannon is reusable and abusable with atraxa's proliferate.
>Archmage ascension. It's an abusable card as heck, and a possible wincon, but it's a bit thrown in there and will most likely get it, atraxa, or my life total removed very quickly before it triggers.
>Elite Scaleguard. He's got a great effect, but there's other things that work really well too, and a lot of my meta has ways of dealing with attacking creatures other than blocking.
>Magistrate's Scepter. Something similar to archmage ascension, but is perhaps a softer wincon but on a shorter fuse.
>Hooded hydra or hero's bane. After cutting a few other hydras I'll probably have to rename the deck anyway, but one of these might still have to go.

I might also still want to add the green god to give shit trample, but that would make cutting things even harder.
>>
>>50111109
I would let you use them as your partner commander as long as your deck is samurai based.
>>
>>50111109
>>50112246
>>50110491

>tfw when closet weeb
>tfw completely missed the Kamigawa block because didn't play Magic at the time.

maaaan....I really missed out on that one. I still have a desire to make a samurai deck just for funzies but I don't know what's good. Bushido honestly seems a little weak compared to some block abilities nowadays but still fits the theme perfectly.
>>
>>50112241
I don't really think that Hydra synergizes well with Atraxa, Hydras works better on a mostly green ramp deck, since Atraxa can only give them a single +1/+1 at the end of your turn.

I am also going to build an Atraxa deck, but I am trying to focus more on going wide and use stuff that gives +1/+1 counters to all creatures(Mikaeus, Ajani, Nissa) or artifacts with charge counters.
>>
>>50110491
She's amazing in Kazuul.
And i really like her art, even though i'm not usually a fan of closeup. But she got character.
I'd like to see her artist get back in the game.
>>50112434
Probably Takeno i guess. Too bad Kentaro can't be used as a multicolored general, he would be perfect.
>>
>>50110672
Islands and plains from Urza saga are wonderful.
>>
What are some radical 4color combos? I've never seen any considering 4colors were never used until now
>>
>>50112666
5 color commanders exist, so it's not like there will be something new without using the new commanders, especially Breya, she is certainly combo material.
>>
>>50110672
My Trostani deck is almost 100% filled with Full art plains and forests.

Other than that I stick to ravnica/theros basics, they just look so good.
>>
>>50112241
if i'm not sure what to cut, i just cut boardwipes and instant removal to make the deck 99 and then play a few games with it. in a few games you'll have an idea of what card you want to cut (protip: it's the one that makes you groan when you draw it)

duneblast doesn't seem that great to me anyway so i'd cut that first
>>
>>50110866
Tainted aether
>>
>>50111443
What's the combo?
>>
>>50109514

Gaea's Cradle is worth more than most duals. Why is proxying them fine due to cost, but not cradle.
>>
>>50110672
The new Guay and Kev Walker lands and some of my favorites.
>>
>>50109364

He's talking about how some people think that casual decks can't have any expensive cards in then and need to be generally bad, otherwise they label them as competitive. Have you really never experienced that? Welcome to the format, son.
>>
>>50110672
Lorwyn lands and Zendikar lands have been my favorites. But it would look weird with non full at lands sitting next to full art ones, so my decks use only original Zendikar lands.
>>
File: KTK Island.png (140KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
KTK Island.png
140KB, 265x370px
>>50110672
I'm a big fan of the Tarkir lands
>>
Where's the best place for Chinese fakes? Also, how do they do flip cards?
>>
>>50110672
Kamigawa's Mountain's and Islands are very beautiful; aside form that the Jeskai lands from Khans of Tarkir are the nicest looking lands.
>>
>>50113490

A format that people created because they wanted to get away from 500$ decks and net-decking, instead focusing on unconventional strategies and unusual cards.

>muh staples
>muh stax
>muh 1300 identical Meren decks on TappedOut
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 460x574px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 460x574px
What's your reversal card /EDH/?

Mine is Wild Ricochet
>>
>>50113900
Commandeer, or almost anything when I attack with kaalia.
>>
>>50113900
Probably Rally of the Ancestors or Patriarch's Bidding.
My deck dosen't look graveyard based until everyone comes back and OKHOs the board.
>>
>>50113869
Commander has been already long enough that everything has been done. The format only changes when new Legendary Creatures come out in weird colors or have dumb abilities.
>>
>>50113869
>oh no! People enjoy a game in a different way than I do!
>>
>>50112434
Saskia is honestly the best samurai commander.

She gives you access to all the colors samurai are in, and with bushido they want to be attacking anyway. With Godo, you are able to have multiple combat phases a turn. Some people forget that Godo untaps all samurai as part of his extra combat effect.
>>
Which of the new four decks has the best flip value? Greek fellas or esper + red?

>fumiko
>weak
Fumiko is closet strong as hell built right
not like s tier or anything but she's really solid
Konda and Godo are solid as well (although, admittedly, it's kinda hard to justify running Konda over Avacyn from a powerlevel perspective)
I've heard Toshiro is no slouch but I've never played with one
>>
>>50113869
Found the shitter.

Are you actually trying to argue that decks with non shit mana bases and a decent strategy can't be fun?
>>
fun is subjective this is a bad discussion

different people find fun in different places in edh, there's no sense in imposing your idea of fun how someone else finds theirs
>>
>>50114348

Buying dual lands is not a "decent strategy".

It is a way of creating advantage against players who won't spend 200$ on a 2.5 by 3.5 inches piece of cardboard. It involves no skill or cunning. Sure the advantage of a single dual land is small against a single tapland, but those things add up.

You could have the identical deck (the same fun "decent strategy"), but just because one player spends literally 2000 times more on, he gets a huge advantage in a format where creativity should be one of the main drawing points.
>>
>>50114228
You can say this about anything, even griefers who keeps shitting up everything.
>>
>>50114407
Your fun is subjective but the groups fun is intersubjective, which means sometimes you need to compromise your subjective fun to ensure the group's fun.
>>
>>50113869
>>50114415

>getting away from $500 decks and net decking

Considering the format was created by judges who wanted wild and splashy games, I REALLY doubt the decks were cheap.

Judges are usually the most invested in mtg and have huge collections. That includes those "tryhard" expensive cards.

You're just bitter because you can't afford it yourself.
>>
File: breya.png (199KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
breya.png
199KB, 265x370px
So, with the new commander decks coming out. I thought it would be fun to make a planeswalker deck with ruwb.
Now, I know what you're thinking "use Atraxa" but I don't really like green and don't have many green planeswalkers anyway. I also have lots of artifacts.
My question is, what cards would you recommend and if you don't like Breya, what partners would you suggest?
>>
>>50114415
yeah, but I don't find fun in spending 200$ on a piece of paper while someone else might

just because their deck is more competitive/higher powerlevel doesn't mean it's more fun

I make tons of deliberately suboptimal power choices, it depends a lot on the group you're playing with. i don't run infinite combos, I stay away from tutors, I don't run any obscenely expensive stuff

if you have one guy powergaming a 4000$ hermit druid combo deck while everyone else is running kangee bird tribal or the equivalent you need to have a talk with that guy

or if you're the guy running the mannichi fevered dream deck in the cutthroat imperial animar playgroup, perhaps you should reevaluate your position

>>50114437
this is a good amendment to the fun is subjective point

generally speaking, the most fun will be had by all players when the average power level at the table isn't super high variance
>>
>>50114415
It does fall in the non shitty mana base category which you conveniently glossed over.

Someone having a consistent mana base or some expensive cards does not make it any less of a fun deck.

If I crack an expensive card in a $3 pack, am I allowed to play it?
>>
>>50114534
>Someone having a consistent mana base or some expensive cards does not make it any less of a fun deck.
subjective

I find consistency really boring
Do you enjoy tutoring for the same combo every game
I don't, but that's me
I hope to win every game in a different manner than the last

not the guy you replied to, by the way

tangentially, there is an OBSCENE amount of nonbasic land hate if this is actually a problem for you
>>
File: 139.jpg (59KB, 336x469px) Image search: [Google]
139.jpg
59KB, 336x469px
>>50113900

>Oh, nice aetherflux reservoir m8
>>
>>50114477
If not using Breya as a Jacetice league commander, I'd probably use Ludevic or Kraum and Tymna, just for the card advantage.
>>
>>50114443
I'm a judge, and most other judges I know aren't tryhards, they are just collectors that wants to show off their collection. One of those ways is to play commander, where you can put a bunch of shitty gimmick cards that no one uses and everyone gets to show off their cool cards.

Winning as fast as possible without letting others show off their cool stuff was never the intention of the format. But tryhards wants to win at everything, and since a lot of them aren't decent players enough to win more popular formats, they started tryharding commander, it happens with every format in mtg, pauper for example, was supposed to be a cheap format, but a lot of the pauper cards became rather expensive because everyone is running the exact same pauper decks.
>>
>>50114651
I wonder what card has the most uses of the word "target" in magic history
>>
>>50114477
Why not do an artifact planeswalker themed deck? Tezzeret, Daretti, Dack, Venser, Nahiri.
>>
>>50114678
Playing expensive cards doesn't mean you are tryharding though.

I play duals and fetches in my gimmick deck based on clerics and little girls, as well as a few judge foil swords. It's absolute garbage, but the deck "value" is still around $800
>>
>>50114707
These are gonna be in the deck. I was just asking for alternative commanders because some people thing Breya is bad
>>
>>50114346
She's not super strong and she's limited to mono-red colours as a general, which hurts a lot. Giving the "taunt" archetype more colours in EDH would be great.

Here's my vote for "needs partner and wouldn't be broken".
>>
>>50114716

Well then congratulations, you are the 1%.
>>
>>50114716
I agree that the value of the deck doesn't necessarily impact the power of the deck. But that wasn't really the point of the other poster, he meant people that simply netdecks the best deck possible just to win as if it was a competitive format.
>>
File: 2015-08-26-13-47-25--1122696073.jpg (10KB, 178x248px) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-26-13-47-25--1122696073.jpg
10KB, 178x248px
>playing in a low powered meta
>pull out my fun Doran deck that revolves around getting Evershrike out and enchanted
>It has dual lands in it
>other guy gets butt blasted when he sees the duals with passive aggressive comments
>it gets beaten as it often does
>hear the guy brag to his friends that he beat the overpowered deck with all the expensive dual lands
>he had a masterpiece sword of fire and ice in his deck that was more expensive than any of my duals

You can't even argue with retards like this. They won't stop being retarded.
>>
Urza's incubator is

As Urza's Incubator enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
Creature spells of the chosen type cost 2 less to cast.

The casting cost is for me or for all players?
>>
>>50110672
the full card bucket island is probably my favorite land
>>
>>50114792
The point was a straw man argument that originated all the way here >>50113869

He was basically talking out of his ass.
>>
>>50114534
I think there might be room between non-shitty mana base, and playing every legal ABUR dual.
>>
>>50114732
They just need to release more creatures with partner, I hope they plan for more in 2017, and try to not powercreep the shit out of it.
>>
>>50114477
>I don't really like green
[reeeeeing intensifies]
>>
>>50114863
I'm not apologizing
>>
>>50114825
All. If it states (you), it means just you, otherwise it always affects everyone.
There's also differences in some cards, such as with Lifeline, which is exact opposite in current wording of what it actually does. tl;dr, Lifeline is symmetric effect even though the wording seems to imply opposite.
>>
Any Uril/Enchantress players here? I'm in the process of upgrading my Dragonlord Dromoka Enchantress deck into Uril.

Is there any Auras that are must-haves in Red? Or is it more like I'm splashing red for removal and utility while G/W are minaly responsible for Auras?
>>
>>50114847
>He was basically talking out of his ass.
Well, he was, but his point wasn't very far. The idea was that you wouldn't need to spend $500 on cards, since you should just use rare/cool cards from your own collection. And you wouldn't netdeck, since you would make your deck based on the rarest and coolest cards you own that either aren't good enough for competitive, or it is too rare to own 4 of them to build an usual deck.
>>
>>50114939
Decks don't need to be expensive to be tryhard either.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mikaeus-extreme-sub-20-budget-edh/
>>
>>50114963
I know, this is why I said
> the value of the deck doesn't necessarily impact the power of the deck.
>>
>>50114939
>since you should just use rare/cool cards from your own collection.

I completely disagree with this. I don't draft or do FNMs anymore, so I just buy singles if cards I want. This is way less expensive than buying packs and boxes hoping to find a card I want. I also don't netdeck.

The whole "just use cards that you have" argument favors people with bigger collections or people who just get lucky cracking packs. It's just straight up a bad policy to play by in my opinion.
>>
Man, trying to finish off someone but all you can do is widdle 'em down AND they have a trading post? Kill myself
>>
>>50114938
Well, there are some obvious ones, like the lorwyn dual colored auras, and madcap skills.

But you can add Mayael Aria as a wincon, and you use cards like Burning Anger as a way to win by commander damage.

For lands, you can add Contested Cliffs, Kessig Wolf-run, and that boros land that gives double-strike.
>>
>>50114938
I'd look into umbras so Uril can survive a board wipe
>>
>>50115063
I'm gonna def add those lands and Madcap Skills. I always kinda wanted to make a deck with Aria as a wincon, so that also sounds hella fun.
>>
>>50115054
Is trading post pretty good in most situations?
>>
>>50114604
The fuck negro? I can get not liking tutors because it makes your deck run similarly every time, but these are lands that do nothing but produce mana. So the only thing I can think of when you say "consistent" is actually having access to your colors and not being mana fucked.

Are you legitimately telling me that being mana screwed is more fun than being able to play your cards?
>>
File: Image-2.png (141KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image-2.png
141KB, 223x311px
Is arachnogenisis as good as it looks? Token generation stapled to a fog seems amazing.
>>
>>50115026
>It's just straight up a bad policy to play by in my opinion.
Well, there isn't a rule that you should just use your collection, but the format was made by judges who have large collections, so they just wanted to show off what they had.
I don't think there is a problem as long as you are not tryharding, since commander is not supposed to be a competitive format. For example, I can easily imagine people allowing someone to do >>50111109 before partners even were a thing, since they are not particularly strong and make a lot of sense flavor-wise.
>>
>>50115121
It won't win you the game but damn if the value isn't comfy
>>
>>50115121
It's not for every deck, but decks that can supply it nicely with artifacts and stuff can get a load of mileage out of it. The ability to turn Myr tokens and Thopters into draw or recursion is pretty sweet.
>>
>>50114604
I abhor tutoring the same combos over and over every game. I do like consistent mana bases though. It's really not the same thing at all.
>>
>>50115121
Trading post is great in any artifact heavy or durdly deck. I even run it in some sac/reanimator strategies.
>>
>>50115121
Just as the card implies, if you have the products, and is interested in the trades it offers, it is a great card.
>>
File: trading_post.jpg (603KB, 1200x876px) Image search: [Google]
trading_post.jpg
603KB, 1200x876px
>>50115169
The art and flavor are pretty comfy too. I throw it and Inventor's Fair in a bunch of decks now because of that.
>>
>>50115165
I'm not sure what your example has to do with tryharding or only using cards from your collection.

Since the format was made by judges with large collections, they basically had access to any card anyway, so the point is kind of moot.

I agree that the format is not competitive, but I too often see people yell competitive and tryhard when it's not actually the case, like in a situation where the deck is just very synergistic or has expensive cards, or cards with reputations in other formats (jitte for example).
>>
>>50114912
how can you not like green? its the most based color in magic
>>
File: 64.jpg (14KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
64.jpg
14KB, 259x194px
>>50115169
>sac a goat to get back a skullclamp
>clamp more goats
>mfw
>>
>>50115327
I dunno. I'm not a hippy. So aesthetically I find the color displeasing
>>
>>50115276
>too often see people yell competitive and tryhard when it's not actually the case
95% of the time that just means, "I'm angry that you beat me and want to rationalize an excuse for some reason."
>>
File: Image[1].jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image[1].jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>50111443
Personally I run Thelon as my saproling/fungus commander. The added black gives you access to things like Deathspore Thallid and all those delicious black cards (Zulaport Cutthroat and Blood Artist anyone?). You can still run Nemata in the 99.
>>
>>50114732
THALLIDS
H
A
L
L
I
D
S
>>
>>50114815
It's a shame Evershrike wasn't a legendary
>>
>>50115276
My example was to show that the format isn't competitive at all, and a lot of people have house rules on top the usual ones just to make sure everyone is having fun.

>the deck is just very synergistic or has expensive cards
You got it backwards, it is that tryhard cards are usually very synegistic and/or expensive.
>>
>>50114938
Really, unless the auras you're running are awful, the general power levels of the auras don't really matter. Either they're able to deal with Uril and you'll lose or they're unable to deal with Uril and you'll win. That's why I got sick of him.

But to answer your question, you need trample so he can't be chump blocked all day and umbras/regenerate/indestructible to ignore wraths.
>>
>>50115327
I'd say black is, personally. Green is great too. There aren't many decks that won't be straight up better with a splash of green or black.
>>
>>50115499
the only color that doesnt do it for me is red. its not that its bad or anything i just find it kinda boring
>>
>>50112434
You didn't. It was the worst block in a long time and a shit ton of people quit over it.
>>
>>50115467
>either you they're able to deal with it or you win
This is basically any edh combo deck ever.
>>
>>50115063
Burning Anger doesn't deal combat damage.
>>
>>50115430
I think you have it backwards. Being synergistic or expensive does not make a deck tryhard. Those words get unnecessarily thrown around so much that they start to lose meaning.
>>
>>50115579
I mean, it might not deal combat damage, but on Uril with a couple of other auras and vigilance on him, it's effectively a one shot.
>>
>>50115548
It rwally wasn't that bad of a ser. I don't know if anyone that quit because of it. I know people who quit playing standard for a while because of Jitte being stupid (when creatureless decks run a playset of Jittes just to legend rule other Jittes, you know something is wrong).
>>
>>50115560
It's true for any all-in-on-one-option deck, which is why many decks have multiple wincons. What I'm saying is that he doesn't need to worry that much about which auras to run -- if they happen to not draw the cards they need for a tron'd up hexproofer then the results will be more or less the same with or without the toppest-tier auras.
>>
>>50115419
Completely agree. Although it is basically just Urill.
>>
>>50115548
No, that was Mercadian Masques. Some quit in Mirrodin-Kamigawa but that's because affinity-modular was broken as fuck. Kamigawa-Ravnica was fun. The recent weaker sets will likely have even less overall impact than Kamigawa.
>>
>>50115602
>Being synergistic or expensive does not make a deck tryhard.
This was literally what I said. I meant you got backwards because you thought that people complain because a card is expensive, and that's wrong. People complain because the person is being a tryhard, and not because the card he bought is expensive or has synergy.
>>
>>50115661
Certainly hitting with vigilance then doming with Anger is good damage but only half of that will be commander damage.
>>
File: fat_babe_by_khezug-d5j38ti.jpg (167KB, 1091x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fat_babe_by_khezug-d5j38ti.jpg
167KB, 1091x1200px
What are some COOL fatties to run in Jund reanimator/ramp deck?

Things that make people go "oh shit!"
>>
Thinking about building The Gay Agenda when it comes out, because it's a playstyle unique to the format and very out of the norm of what I usually play. I understand that a lot of people are not big fans of group hug decks because they can incidentally (or purposefully) play kingmaker and just throw a wrench in normal gameplay. Despite this, I feel that a good group hug deck can really make a game shine by ensuring that everybody has a shot and create interesting political scenarios.

I feel as though the main flaw in most group hug decks is that they suffer from the effects being symmetrical. Rites of Flourishing is great at helping out the player who got land screwed, but it can also make the agressor skyrocket to an even larger lead with a constant stream of cards.

My trouble is that finding cards that offer one opponent on gatherer is pretty tricky, because just about anything can target an opponent and there is no real way to filter beneficial from harmful effects. Does anybody know a way I can find one sided, rather than symmetrical, hug cards?

My plan for the deck is to make it more political in nature, playing as an arbitrator whilst slowly working towards my own win conditions. I don't want to win games without my opponents having a shot at playing their decks, but I sure as hell don't want to play kingmaker or ruin games by making them never ending pillow fights.

tl;dr how do I make a good group hug deck that everybody can enjoy? what are some good non-symmetrical hug style cards? What sort of things piss you off about group hug, and how can I avoid them?
>>
File: loe.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
loe.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>50115833
>>
>>50115877

Offerings: five rare sorceries/instants with two abilities which are shared with one opponent each. — Benevolent Offering, Intellectual Offering, Infernal Offering, Volcanic Offering, and Sylvan Offering.

Tempting offers: Each deck has a card with tempting offer. — Tempt with Glory, Tempt with Reflections, Tempt with Discovery, Tempt with Vengeance, and Tempt with Immortality.
>>
>>50115833
ur mum Xd
>>
>>50115877
Could look for "target player" and exclude "Damage" from the rules text.
>>
>>50115782
>because you thought that people complain because a card is expensive, and that's wrong.
That is straight up incorrect. People literally complain about people using expensive cards. They also often call synergistic decks tryhard even if they aren't.

This whole topic started because someone said their friend complained about him putting a dual land in his deck, then an anon got similarly buttblasted about expensive cards and made a stramway argument about netdecking and tryhards.
>>
>>50115833

Terrastodon, Elderscale Wurm

>>50115877

Howling Mine life effects and ways to negate them (permanent that tap or untap permanents, etc.)
>You want to draw cards? Help me out and I will keep it untapped.
>>
File: Image.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
>>50115833
If this doesn't make people go "oh shit!", I don't know what will. also works well with madness and hellbent, if that's your thing.
>>
>>50115877
Just look for effects with "target player" in the text in MtG Info. There's some beneficial stuff that allow you to choose someone else.
>>
>>50115928
oh shit I forgot about the offerings. those are perfect.
>>50115951
that's a good idea. thanks.
>>50115970
I like that idea. getting some leverage is always satisfying.
>>
File: dons.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dons.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>50114443
>>You're just bitter because you can't afford it yourself.

this kind of argument makes no sense to me. instead of spending that 200 bucks on that dual land, you could instead put that 200 bucks towards a whole new deck. why not build something fun and unique instead with that money? why not build a samurai voltron for laughs, or a zombie tribal that you know isn't that powerful?

i personally don't think it's worth spending 200 bucks on what amounts to about a 0,05% power boost to a deck, when i could instead spend that money on all sorts of different stuff that interests me more.

>"well i want to spend 200 bucks on a dual land so suck it"

sure go ahead, but keep in mind that it's kind of a dick move to pull to your group if you start powering up excessively using expensive staples. you might spend 200 bucks on a card and think "i enjoyed that" but not everyone does.

>>50114678
>But tryhards wants to win at everything

and here we are the core of the problem. i intentionally power down my decks at the deckbuilding phase because i don't want to be "that guy", and so do a few of other players in my group. it's not a budgeting issue, i just don't incorporate tech that seems unfun for the other players, even if it meant i could win a lot more games.
>>
>>50116072
>on what amounts to about a 0,05% power boost to a deck
>it's kind of a dick move to pull to your group if you start powering up excessively using expensive staples
You just contradicted yourself. Is it a minimal power boost to the deck, or a dick move because you're buying such a powerful card?
>>
>>50116072
>this kind of argument makes no sense to me. instead of spending that 200 bucks on that dual land, you could instead put that 200 bucks towards a whole new deck. why not build something fun and unique instead with that money? why not build a samurai voltron for laughs, or a zombie tribal that you know isn't that powerful?

Because they aren't always exclusive to each other? Owning a $200 land doesn't mean you can't make fun decks anymore, like you seem to believe.
>>
>>50116072
>i just don't incorporate tech that seems unfun for the other players

Neither do I. I still have all duals and fetches possible in my decks. I fail to see your point.
>>
>>50115158
It's not a bad card by any means. Certainly better in some decks than others, but yeah, it's a fine card.
>>
>>50115962
Yeah, if your playgroup is completely casual, and one of them just spend $200 on duals, he is being a tryhard.

If he spent $200 on alt-arts and full-arts, no one would complain.

Spending money doesn't have anything to do with being tryhard.
>>
File: 1455288573788.png (173KB, 329x290px) Image search: [Google]
1455288573788.png
173KB, 329x290px
>>50113748
bump
>>
Mature, well-adjusted adults will just hash out spending-cap agreements from the outset to avoid drama.

Spending hundreds of dollars on the best land base will make your deck faster and more consistent. If this is above and beyond what is necessary to win your share of games in your group, consider putting the money away.
>>
Quit whining you losers no one MAKES you play with casuals, try-hard or whatever you hate. You won't get to do that "gotcha!" comment and won't change anyone's mind. Speak about playing commander not some meta-playgroup bullshit.

Lets get back to the game.

>>50115833

Dragon Tyrant is the definition of "cool".

>>50115877

Maybe put in Zedruu so you can make deals by giving them bad/good creatures.

Some suspend cards or Goblin Bomb - anticipation of a threat can be used as leverage.
>>
>>50116287
What if I already had all those duals anyway? What if I got them for free because a friend gave me their old collection? Why does it even mastery if the end result is the same? Why is one situation of someone spending the same amount of money ok, but the other isn't?

Your thoughts on something being tryhard are arbitrary and silly. I'm getting the feeling that you are that guy that yells tryhard at inappropriate times.
>>
>>50116409
My playgroup does this, we agreed that $1 per card is ok, so our commander decks can't cost more than $100 total, and basic lands counts as $0.
>>
>>50116158
>You just contradicted yourself.
no i didn't. you can power up your deck by changing your 1 dollar cards to 50 dollar cards, like a mind stone to a mana crypt, or a tapland to a dual land. upgrading an individual card is a minimal boost to your deck's power, which is why i said "excessively", like if you upgrade your entire ramp suite with expensive staples that are just direct upgrades.

>>50116162
you've missed my point entirely. try reading my post again and then try replying after that.

>>50116218
if everyone else in your group runs duals and fetches, then sure, there's nothing wrong with that.

but if johnny and timmy are dropping taplands and basics while you're dropping dual lands, then you are probably being "that guy", and apparently obliviously so
>>
>>50116444
>guys, stop talking about an edh topic on this edh thread!

No one MAKES you pay attention to a topic you don't want to discuss.
>>
>>50116444
I want to draw a comic ridiculing this guy for drawing the 854th comic pointing this out.
>>
>>50116468
>no I didn't
You literally did.

You said duals were a minimal power boost to a deck, then went on to say that of you bought an expensive card (directly referring to duals) that you were being a dick.
>>
>>50116468
My playgroup consists of Merenfags, Ezurifags, Nekusaur, Sharum, Oloro, and Animar. I feel no remorse for playing Plateu in my R/W voltron deck.
>>
>>50116562
>"then went on to say that of you bought an expensive card"

what?
>>
>>50116562
Admittedly the firsdt statement was in the singular, the second statement was in the plural and he did say excessively, he just wasn't as clear as he could have been.
>>
>>50116450
>What if I already had all those duals anyway? What if I got them for free because a friend gave me their old collection?
Not a tryhard, since you are not "trying hard to win". If for example, you stole the cards from someone, you still didn't pay anything, but are still being a tryhard, by "trying hard to win".

>Why does it even mastery if the end result is the same?
Because end results aren't everything. Especially in a card game, where the enjoyment should be gotten from playing the game, and not only the results.

>Why is one situation of someone spending the same amount of money ok, but the other isn't?
Because the one who spent money and got 0 advantage is not "trying hard to win"

You are the one who doesn't know what "tryhard" means if you are asking those questions. Tryhard is someone who tries too hard to win, it usually involves going to the net and copying a winning strategy(netdecking) or spending a lot of money to get some advantage(buying expensive land base). My definition of tryhard is mostly arbitrary, just like any definition based on subjective terms, but it is not silly.
>>
>>50116409
im down with not using the mega expensive deck all the time (like once a session maybe) but just because i am willing to spend that much on magic and other are not shouldnt mean that i cant build what i want. i would never agree to a cap on deck costs

if it was something along the lines of who can build the best deck given a X dollar budget thats cool though
>>
>>50116503

This is not a question that can be resolved on a fucking 4chan thread. It is meant to be discussed in individual playgroups. Some queer telling you "fuck the casuals/tryhard" on a Chinese image board won't change the attitude of people who matter.
>>
>>50110765
Nebuchadnezzer is UB
>>
>>50116643
So don't pay attention to it and get on with your life. Why do you feel you need to dictate what others talk about?

Here's your (you).
>>
oh my god I'm so fucking sick of self-righteous "casuals" who want everybody to be as bad at the game as they are so they can lose less often.
>>
>>50116640
You're not entitled to ignore the social contract without consequences. Just as you're free to treat a card game as autistically as you wish, your group is free to decide how worthwhile it is to invite you. Freedom works both ways.
>>
>>50114483
Solution: have more than one deck, with varying powerlevels

Protip: Group Hug is ~ $100 investment for a deck that works in literally every powerlevel by default.
>>
>>50116637
So when two people have a card for card duplicate deck, one deck could be considered tryhard and one couldn't, depending on the fashion in which they obtained the cards? Your right, it's not silly, it's full blown moronic.

That's possibly the stupidest thing I've heard in /edhg/. Congrats.
>>
Some of yall just sound bitter. People can play 2000 dollar decks and be decent human beings while piloting it. Someone can also play their penny dreadful deck and be an absolute cunt throughout the match. It's not the cards, it's the player.
>>
>>50116706
I've been playing MtG since Ice Age and am a skilled deckbuilder. I'm not a "bad" player because I calibrate my decks to my meta's current power level, which is significantly weaker than where I lived in college. It would be childish of me to play my old, more ruthless decks and sulk when people point out that I'm being autistic about a card game.
>>
>>50116747
>Group Hug
I'd rather flush 100 bucks down the toilet desu
>>
>>50116727
>i should have to drop down to your level because you are poor or not willing to put the money into a hobby that i am

oh fuck off and go play at your middle schools play ground if you want everyone to be as bad as you. TCG are expensive and more expensive cards are better, get over it. its not even like a budget deck cant win against a 1k dollar one in EDH
>>
>>50116769
Not the person you're responding to, but your confusion seems to stem from not understanding that decks can't be tryhard, only players can.
>>
>>50116611

>on what amounts to about a 0,05% power boost to a deck
>it's kind of a dick move to pull to your group if you start powering up excessively using expensive staples

You went into detail saying that dropping that much money on a card was stupid because it would increase the power level of your deck minimally.

You then went on to say that dropping money on expensive powerful cards, in direct reference to buying a dual land ("well i want to spend 200 bucks on a dual land so suck it" being that direct reference) is a dick move.

You stated dual lands weren't powerful but putting a bunch of them in your deck is a dick move because they're too powerful.
>>
>>50116794

>*teleports behind*
>I could beat you but I chose not to
>see ya on the streets
>*fades into the shadows*
>>
>>50116769
nope, that's not what he said

if person 1 and person 2 had the same deck, but person 1's deck was bought and person 2's was a gift, then yes, person 1 could be a tryhard while person 2 wouldn't be. because person 2 didn't specifically try hard to get a competitive deck. hence the word tryhard.
>>
holy shit some of you poorfags need to listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ojSd0ke7WA
>>
>>50116817
>if you want everyone to be as bad as you
see >>50116794

I was just stating a simple fact: this is a social game and you're free to sulk about the social contract all you like. Agreements like spending caps are sensible, adult ways to avoid drama and if you want to cross your arms and refuse, your group is just as free to kick your sulky ass to the curb.
>>
>>50116781
grats on your worthless post that had nothing to do with the topic
>>
>>50116862
Speaking of childish.
>>
Do you people understand that you can get most duals in the $40-$60 range on ebay? It's just some of the blue ones that are super over priced.
>>
>>50116862
[shitposting intensifies]
>>
>>50116870

Not that guy but that's retarded.
>>
>>50116852
changing 1 card to an expensive staple = minimal boost

changing 50 cards to expensive staples = minimal boost x 50 (not necessarily a minimal boost)

understand yet?
>>
>>50116862
Not him, but you know it's pretty common for people to move towns/cities to less competitive groups, right?
>>
>>50116879
you are the one who is sulking and asking people who can actually afford cards that cost more than a dollar to limit themselves and the fun they can have. go find a poverty group instead of forcing people to lower themselves to your level
>>
>>50116901
its not even like the duel lands even make much of a difference. i think out of every game i have played with them it has made a significant difference like 15 times maybe
>>
File: secondharvest.png (137KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
secondharvest.png
137KB, 223x311px
>>50111443
>>
>>50116889
U 2 m8
>>
>>50116931
the best part of your autism is that it's so intense that you will never understand why people dislike you so much
>>
>have expedition wasteland in my deck
>that guy chimps out about it the entire game
>he plays strip mine (a strictly better card)
>that's ok because it's affordable

I hate people like this. They are awful to play against.
>>
>>50116929

>*walks out of the shadows*
>before you even had your first card I was kicking ass and takin names
>I used to be unbeatable, ruthless, you wouldn't stand a chance
>that's all behind me though, now I pretend to suck for your benefit, isn't that noble as hell?
>people who don't gimp their decks are bad at magic
>*fades back into shadows*
>>
>>50116956
>you will never understand why people dislike you so much
lmao, nice non argument you got there. that must be why i cant find a play group right? oh wait thats not true. the fact is you literally want force an entire group into having less fun because you cant afford to play the card you want. every single time we get someone like you who wants to join our play group they leave about a month later and our play group keeps on going

>how dare you order a steak at this restaurant when i can only afford bread sticks and salad?
>>
>>50116928
I understand that you contradicted yourself and are now trying to rationalize that you didn't.

I also completely disagree with the disenfranchised point you were trying to make.
>>
>>50116931
For fuck's sake. You're really not very good at reading, are you? I'm warning you that you'll be treated like an autist if you want to act like one. IF your group proposes something like a spending cap to avoid drama, and you cross your arms and refuse, they're free to react however they like.
>>
>>50116985
>I--I was just trolling this entire time
>>
>>50116870
Everyone tries to win. I guess everything except the most clusterfuck of group hug decks are tryhard.
>>
File: 1457467476169.png (1MB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1457467476169.png
1MB, 5000x5000px
>>50116985
>he actually has problems winning in edh

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>50116928
So 50 expensive staples is fine but 1 expensive staple isn't?
>>
>>50117022
Just do it once 50 times.

Problem solved!
>>
>>50116999
and again as i fucking said in my very first fucking post im ok with not playing the super expensive decks with all the duel lands and everything every single game. but if you want to straight up say "WAA YOU CANT PLAY EXPENSIVE CARDS BECAUSE IM TOO POOR TO BUY THEM WAA" then you can fuck right the hell off. if thats what you want then go play with another play group. you are the one sitting here not being willing to compromise you literal retard
>>
File: 3a1.jpg (97KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
3a1.jpg
97KB, 1200x675px
>>50116985
>fedoras grumbling about scrubby normalfags keeping them down
>implying other people are edgelords
>>
>>50116991
i'm not the person you were talking to

i just wanted to call you an autist because you are a massive autist

>food analogies

seriously kys yourself
>>
File: Image-123.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-123.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
>>50117032
>>
>>50117033
>then you can fuck right the hell off.
If YOUR GROUP comes up with proposals that work for them and you refuse, it'll be you finding another group, fedora-kun.
>>
I've never had a big problem with lands. If I really want a card, my collection is large enough to trade up. Guess I just treat it as more of an interactive hobby I can swap parts in than something I buy everything for.

I don't really expect anyone else to use bad cards either. I've beaten decks far better than mine on good days and lost to decks with even worse strategies than mine on bad days. EDH is just kind of like that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
File: 8c3.jpg (43KB, 640x496px) Image search: [Google]
8c3.jpg
43KB, 640x496px
>>50117042
>autist calling someone else an autist

His post had nothing to do with whether or not you were previously talking to him.
>>
>>50117020

>*slow clap*
>*appears behind*
>bet you're pretty proud of beating me huh?
>think that win was pretty cool huh?
>winning is too easy for me so now I lose on purpose, for the sake of sportsmanship, which you'd know nothing about you tryhard
>think about that next time you think about playing a $15 card
>*derisive laugh*
>*grappling hook away*
>>
>>50117070
but he said that i "literally want force an entire group into having less fun" when i have said nothing like that to him

hes just lashing out at everyone in an autistic fit
>>
File: 1477640199581.jpg (103KB, 796x600px) Image search: [Google]
1477640199581.jpg
103KB, 796x600px
>half of this argument
>>
>>50117074
holy fuck you must be bad at deckbuilding
>>
>>50117061
and if my play group came up and wanted to ban a way that i like to play just because they cant keep up and refuses to accept a compromise then they can fuck off, im still going to play the deck. in this scenario "the play group" will not accept and entirely reasonable solution that doesnt stop anyone from being able to play in a way that they want.

>you cant play that because im poor
>ok how about we do it this way that way i can play how i want 50% of the time and we can play the way you want 50% of the time
>WAAAAAAA NOOOOOOO THATS NOT OK YOU NEED TOI PLAY THE WAY WE WWANT 100% OF THE TIME WAAAAA

literally kill yourself you actual retard
>>
>>50117106
How do you come to that conclusion from those posts? Genuinely curious.
>>
File: mwv7pJl.jpg (64KB, 593x340px) Image search: [Google]
mwv7pJl.jpg
64KB, 593x340px
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sidisi-living-dead-girl-1/

Any suggestions? Testing has been going well, but a few more good threats or synergies would be nice. Or should I just go balls deep on the zombie shit?
>>
If you are not willing to spend a decent amount of money this is not the game/format for you. Stick to draft, you will have more fun.
>>
>>50117109
>im still going to play the deck
Assuming you're still a part of the group. Please stop implying other people are edgelords when you're the one spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on cards, then shitposting bitterly about normalfags keeping you down.
>>
>>50117109
i pity anyone who has to come into contact with you in real life
>>
>>50117166
>get offered a compromise that would make everyone happy
>reject it
>stop being an edgelord WAAAAA

holy shit you are so fucking stupid
>>
>be richfag
>friend complains that I have expensive cards in my deck
>buy him duals and other cards for his birthday
>still loses
>complains about my cheap strategy
>I'm playing Aurelia beats with no MLD

People just like to complain. Expensive cards are just low hanging fruit to complain about.
>>
File: d-bry3.gif (987KB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
d-bry3.gif
987KB, 200x180px
>>50117161
>>
File: he is right.jpg (72KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
he is right.jpg
72KB, 800x598px
>>50117161
>>
>>50117186
>>>get offered a compromise that would make everyone happy

no it wouldnt, it would make you happy, and no one else. why would a group of say, 3 people agree to play the way you wanted them to play 50% of the time? 25% would make more sense, and even that is a bit too much because you're the only one causing problems.

you just seem to be really entitled and a genuine asshole. there's no fixing that.
>>
>>50117009
Everyone tries to win, but there are people who tries too hard, and they are called tryhards.
>>
>have stupid job that pays well but gives no free time
>order duals to throw in EDH decks because nothing better to spend stupid money on
>first time I actually have time off on an EDH night
>opening hand has wooded foothills and a sol ring oh boy oh boy
>rafiq player nearly loses his shit over t1 fetch dual sol ring
>informs me this store has a "casual meta" and "overpriced net decks" (his words) are discouraged
>pretty fucking sure atarka isn't a popular commander to netdeck
>one hit rafiq with atarka via blazing shoal
>he makes whiny fucking passive aggressive comments all night about pay2win
>I ended up losing to ezuri's sage of hours top deck. Was going to savage twister his shit in the next turn

Damn I wish I just had friends to play with.
>>
>>50117191
we had this guy in our group a while back would would get super butthurt over expensive cards and one day i let him use a bunch of my 600 an up decks and he still lost every single game that night
>>
>>50117225
>>50117201

I hope people don't take what he said the wrong way, draft is actually an amazing format, especially since you can mix it up by getting your hands on some old packs of another set

Only problem is that the number of players can be an issue, draft is best with 8 people, but I've still had good fun with like 5 people, you just have to do a round robin instead of a bracket

Another thing that's cool is a cube that your playgroup makes together
>>
>>50117243
Yet I could have the exact same deck as someone else and play the same way, but it was gifted to me, so he's a tryhard, but I'm not.

Makes sense.
>>
>>50117251
>ramp up fast using an expensive card
>one-shot a player using this advantage
>in a casual meta
>wonder why people get upset

gosh
>>
>>50117257
Cubes tend to be super expensive to put together though.
>>
>>50116769
What makes a person a tryhard is not the deck he is using, but how he acts.

If a newbie who doesn't even have a deck, is lent one to a play a game is he going to be considered a tryhard because of the deck he is using?
>>
>>50117235
>because we want to have fun every game you cant have fun any game
>ok how about we play in a way that lets me have fun every now and then
>omg stop being so fucking entitled its not all about you, we should only be able to have fun because there is more of us

were you the kid who would take his basketball home with him if people didnt pass to you every time they got the ball?
>>
>>50117284
The card that ramped me up was sol ring, not taiga. I could have just as easily played a forest and that game would have played out the same
>>
>>50117302

That's why you do it together, also it doesn't have to be a vintage power cube, it can just be a cube of cards you guys like that work together well, and combining your funds you can make a cube that will give endless entertainment and each of you is spending less than you would on a new deck
>>
>>50117284
The guy is playing Rafiq and raging about the casual meta because that guy happened to draw a good hand? Please. Rafiq guy needs to get over himself.
>>
>this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A
>>
>>50117304
Depends.

Were the cards that were in the deck bought at a high price, or given to the owner?
>>
>>50117304
Buying an expensive card isn't acting like a tryhard as you seem to be implying.
>>
>>50115877
some Join Forces cards do what you're looking for (Mana-charged dragon)

The Hunted X cards (Hunted Dragon, etc.) can also help players in need while furthering your own board state

Consider Eye of Doom. It is a card that 9 times out of 10 is just a board equalizer (everyone will target the strongest thing that hasn't been targetted yet, so it ends up just generally balancing the board, and chances are nothing you have will be chosen since most enchantments a hug deck runs are friendly)

Cards like Humble Defector and that land that you pass to an opponent if you tap are good.

I am also a fan of some of the cards that say "anyone may activate this ability" or the like.
>>
>>50117409
I should also add the Advocates (pulsemage advocate and the like). I think the only really relevant one might be Shieldmage Advocate but they all help opponents.
>>
>>50117256

Yeah, that sounds about right.

It's all just them rationalizing about why they lost or why they might lose in the future. Everybody does it at some point. It gets annoying if it happens too often though.
>>
>>50117439
I like Nullmage Advocate, personally.
>>
Why don't you just ask if it is ok to play with proxies?
>>
>>50110672
Usually I'm using theme-related lands like theros land for minotaur deck but for "mixed" decks I'm always using M15 land
>>
>>50117256
>>50117191
Funny because I have a story of the opposite. A friend of mine spent a really large amount of money on a combo deck, so I started running some combo disruption. After that, he started complaining about how I shouldn't do that because "it's not fair".
>>
>>50117383
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>50117644
ive seen that happen as well but it is overwhelming more common to see someone who has a budget deck complain about more expensive cards in my experience
>>
>>50117649
You make a shitpost, you get a shitpost response.
>>
>tfw tryhards think they beat you but you actually just let them win
>>
File: Edgelord.jpg (48KB, 615x630px) Image search: [Google]
Edgelord.jpg
48KB, 615x630px
>>50117737
too easy.
>>
>>50117737
A win's a win.
>>
>>50117677
I wouldn't say overwhelming, but it is indeed more common for me. Although people complaining about stuff happens with everyone and about everything. I saw a guy complaining about people picking rares at a draft, because he wanted to both get the best deck AND the most expensive cards at the same time.
>>
>>50117855
ya, honestly i think the butt hurt complaining is the think i dislike the most about magic in general
>>
>>50117892
Honestly you'll find that anywhere you go. Hobby, job, the gym, most people are entitled assholes.

I try not to, but I'll catch myself doing it too every now and then.
>>
>>50117926
i get that but there is just so much more of it in magic compared to the other stuff i do. its one of the reasons why i dont go to FNM anymore
>>
>>50117957
It's because in mtg, like other games, there is an objective winner/loser and there isn't much they can use as an excuse. This is why it looks like there are more butthurt in general, if you go in any thread in /vg/ you will see what I am talking about.
>>
File: 1477532138455.gif (1MB, 400x221px) Image search: [Google]
1477532138455.gif
1MB, 400x221px
>this thread
How do you guys organise your spares? I put the value cards by color in a binder and the other cards in a box by color too. But i need to reorganize my cards cause i put them in different piles.
And fumiko is cool.
>>
>>50117310
a forest can't give 2 types of mana. the budget equivalent of a dual land is a tap land. with a tap land you couldn't have played a sol ring
>>
>>50117308
wouldn't you be that kid? you're the one crying and whining because the group wants to do something that you don't like.

do you just show up to basketball courts and say "okay guys let's play some hockey" and then act all butthurt when the group sternly says no?

>ok how about we play in a way that lets me have fun every now and then

your idea of fun is shit and no one likes it but you
>>
>>50110765
Dakkon Blackblade might actually be a kickass general for this deck. Too bad it'd be too expensive for me to put together.
>>
>>50118034
I don't really understand this reasoning. EDH especially is so much better engineered for crazy shit to happen. The only time I get really annoyed in EDH is when people are running decks that just shut stuff down with control and make it so it's a one player game. I know it's a viable strategy to win, but I'd rather lose spectacularly than win in a non-interactive way. It's the whole reason I started playing MTG and EDH especially.
>>
>>50118247
Producing different colors of mana was 100% irrelevant for playing sol ring and as well as for that particular game. And the budget equivalent of a fetchable dual is a shockland which could have etb untapped anyway
>>
>>50113408
Life and Limb + Sporemound + Forest.
>>
>>50118301
EDH is a format made for fun, never let anyone tell you otherwise.
>>
>>50110877
This guy is pretty easy to make.
>mono-blue
>control
>horsemanship
>beatdown
>>
>>50118178
Rares are stuffed into fat packs sorted by color. Value cards are sleeved and on the ends to also serve as dividers.

"Usable" commons/uncommons have their own fat pack box as well

"Common chaff" aka garbage is thrown haphazardly into an old microwave box I used to take by the store and let newbies sift through and buy for a penny each.
>>
>>50118178

everything in a box. Sometimes looking for cards I find something valuable, feels good
>>
>this entire thread
Jesus, I can't wait for you spoilerfags to fuck off and get board. What a stupid argument. It's really simple:
>everything is fair game
>if someone is willing to spend a lot of money on a good deck, they're probably willing to spend not very much money on a janky fun deck
>ask them to play something else next time and/or build better decks

Was any of that difficult? Landbase is completely arbitrary 90% of the time, and unless you're hitting a t1 sol ring mana crypt, no one really cares. Even if you do, in a multiplayer game you're going to take it on the chin if you don't instantly win.
>>
>>50118597
Is that a nose snffing that hedron?
>>
>>50118625
Spoiler fags are already mostly gone. Arguments like this happen in almost every other thread. Welcome to /edhg/! Or basically any online magic discussion for that matter.

Having said that, I agree with the rest of your post.
>>
>>50118625
No anon, you have to play with cards equally as shit as mine because its a casual format! Stop trying to win and durdle around for 10 turns while my deck does its one shit combo. Yes know i could literally just go play pauper or draft bu instead of doing that you need to have less fun because its all about meeeeeeeeeeREEEEEEEE!
>>
>>50111443
Rhys
>>
>>50117074
These were actually pretty funny.
>>
>>50118625
or... you know... just ask your group if its ok to play with duel land proxies. i highly doubt anyone is going to say no and that you need to go buy a 300 dollar card to play kitchen table magic.... that way you can lose and find something else to blame it on
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (27KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
27KB, 223x310px
>>50115877
Phelda also fits in perfectly in this deck.
>>
>>50118789
Almost none of the groups I've played with would allow proxies unless you already owned one, was just testing the card, or intended to buy one.
>>
>>50118751
>he thinks pauper is less competitive than EDH
>>
>>50118858
if everyone in your group is poor i seriously doubt they want to continue to play with shit budget decks constantly, they will eventually let you assuming they get to as well
>>
File: sepulchral.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
sepulchral.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
recommend me some big black fatties that are good recur targets, like pic related
>>
>>50116747
This. I've played mtg off and on for about 20 years. If you find a group of people interested in the game you have to play down 70% of the time. If you go all autistic they aren't going to keep playing. You can whip out some super deck once every 5-6 games but otherwise match your decks to their powerlevel. They will eventually get decks strong enough to compete. If one of them is some obnoxious richfag who is going to netdeck some stupid expensive combo like Painter's Sevant then either tell him to fuck off or just don't let him play his wasted money.

This way everyone wins
>>
>>50118924
COCKUSHO
O
C
K
U
S
H
O
>>
>>50118973
thats me commander son
>>
>>50118625
Did you even read the thread? The problem is not people spending money on the game. It is people tryharding when his playgroup doesn't use competitive decks. There are a shitton of expensive decks that are shit competitively, by going through the lists posted here, I believe that a lot of people here also have that shit deck that costed a lot because some key cards are used in competitive decks.
>>
File: Sheoldred, Whispering One_NPH.jpg (59KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Sheoldred, Whispering One_NPH.jpg
59KB, 312x445px
>>50118924
>>
>>50119042
Did YOU even read the thread? The argument was about people complaining about decks that have expensive cards in them.
>>
File: Image.png (138KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
138KB, 223x311px
I'm in the mood for some enthusiasm, /edhg/

>What's your favorite card and what's the sickest move you've pulled with it?

Pic related, nothing says "try me" more than having this poop out 50 53/53 indestructible saprolings in a good oiled Ghave deck.
>>
>>50118375
>And the budget equivalent of a fetchable dual is a shockland which could have etb untapped anyway

Unless it's the expedition version. Then you're an awful person and should feel bad. Unless it was a gift.

Also the more budget equivalent would probably be the Tango/Battlelands.
>>
>>50119086
I want to like him, but he always gets cut from my decks. It always seems like there are far better token producers.
>>
>playing Riku, in pod that includes Zur
>untapped with Riku because Zur play was feeling generous
>ohshitniggerherewego.png
>time warp, copy it
>walk the aeons, copy it
>Zur player starts grousing about how Riku is boring solitaire
>IT'S ON
>stare Ur right in the eye as I chain together time stretches and time warps
>All targeting Zur. Take 21 extra turns, friend. IMPRESS ME.
>Zur player makes it through eight turns before despair sets in. He can't make plays big enough or cool enough.
>wipes my board, strips my hand, sets me to one,then seppukus to his physician arena
>die to Yeva player swinging out with a lone haze frog

Worth it. That game was amazing. I sort of regret not using my mastery of time itself to instead reverse the table's turn order for the rest of the game though.
>>
>>50119081
I did, and the entire discusison started because someone posted that his friend was going to spend a lot of money on duals even though they are casual as fuck. And then the thread derailed into butthurt from both sides, and how that friend of his was being a tryhard, and the definitions of tryharding as if there is any discussion to that.
>>
>>50118984
Oh. Uh. Massacre wurm. Aaaand sidisi/rune-scarred demon. And that one demon from theros that makes harpy tokens, ehs a cool guy
>>
>>50118858
>>50118912
Not him, but my lgs is mostly inhabited by people who make inconsistent money who live pretty meager lives at parent's houses, driving parent's cars because no one can guaranteedly pay a regular bill; but when money does come in, it gets dropped on a 300 dollar card.

I want to say for about 1 in 5 people are breadwinners, and only 1 in 5 breadwinners can afford lux cards on top of regular bills. But as a taxpaying, hardworking citizen, some neets are about to get BTFO by my jacked up mana base and dumb moneycards a whole bunch of overtime just afforded me.
>>
>>50119140
>>50119056
i guess i already have all the good ones

not sure the harpy one is worth a slot though, a few 1/1s and a flying beater for 7 mana seems a little meh
>>
>>50119139
It started because of >>50109307 and the various responses to it.

Nowhere in it was it mentioned that "his friend was going to spend a lot of money on duals even though they are casual as fuck." What are you even talking about?
>>
>>50119231
I use harpy demon in my deck to pump out sacrifice fodder. Reanimate him, make 4-5 harpies, sac them all to ashnods, do some stuff and then reanimate again., etc.

One time I kicked RoR on harpy dude and make like 70 fucking harpy tokens and they managed to survive and entire table rotation and swing for lethal. Idk maybe I'm biased because I remember using him effectively a few times
>>
>>50119231
Reaper of the Abyss. Shadowborn Demon.
>>
>>50119139
>derailed

Derailed from what?
>>
>>50113900
Mirror Strike.

On my own Voltron Commander I give away.
>>
Is there any point in running this if I don't have Sword of the Meek?
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 223x310px
>>50119391
Forgot card, mybad
>>
>>50119127
He doubles as a sac outlet in Ghave and Meren.
I didn't put him in my Rhys, The Redeemed deck though, so I get what you mean.
>>
>>50118858
proxying is generally frowned up in my group too because of the fear that it would just launch an arms race. likewise we all keep our decks to a certain power level. none of us play retardedly powerful "oops we made it too good" cards like damnation, force of will and so on either, so it works out.

if someone in my group bought a mana crypt and started playing it, i would shamelessly proxy one into my own deck as well. there's no moral high ground to have if you start the arms race with an expensive card yourself. you can't say the card is too good to proxy if you play it yourself.
>>
>>50119241
I read that wrong, it is him who was tryharding in a casual playgroup. But the point still stands, the argument was not about having expensive cards in the deck, but rather tryharding by spending a lot of money. And people who says that tryharding is not that

>>50119331
From actual EDH discussion.
>>
>>50119086
Fuck I totally forgot to order this for Ghave
>>
>>50119437
>literally just black Wrath
>"oops we made it too good"
>>
File: batman_wonder.jpg (24KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
batman_wonder.jpg
24KB, 604x453px
>>50117251
>Rafiq gets mad about getting one-shot
what kind of bizzaro world is this?
>>
>>50119486
>what is color pie
>>
>>50119494
Do you propose banning every card that breaks color pie?
Because playing nothing but blue sounds boring
>>
>>50119086
Memory plunder. Managed to create an infinite turns loop using my opponents time warp. Other silly shit like instant board wipes or using it to win counterspell fights. It's great. 4 mana tooth and nail on your endstep? Don't fucking mind if I do.
>>
>>50119494
Black is a color of wraths too, did you literally start in Origins or something?
>inb4 retarded nitpicking like black has "situational" wraths
>>
>>50119515
no, just the ones that are way beyond the power curve of their respective colors. a 4 mana board wipe shouldn't exist in black, that's what white does. white shouldn't have draw as good as black either.

>>50119548
if black is the color of 4-mana wraths, why haven't they printed damnation more than once? it's because they fucked up
>>
>>50119437

>tfw there's some faggot who foils out his deck with proxy vintage master art duals so they can be foil
>he does the same for Volrath's Stronghold because, and I shit you not, thinks the original art is shit
>he plays big teysa pillowfort and teams with his gf in multiplayer games too
>throws a hissy fit when he dies to infect or when Iona hits the table

Literally the most unlikable cunt that everyone defends because "he plays a theme deck. Theme decks are fun!". Last time I checked, Damnation, Athreos, and Volrath's Stronghold aren't flavorful with the Orzhov Syndicate.
>>
>>50119566
If white is the color of 4 mana board wipes then why haven't they printed a new one in 5 years :^)
>>
>>50119566
>4 mana wraiths
I already inb4'd retarded nitpicking man, you can't just walk into it like that. Why is having a 4 mana wrath in black so completely unhealthy?
>>
>>50119619
Because Day of Judgement was too strong for standard because it wrecked face during it's time on M12/Innistrad.
>>
>>50119619
they printed a white wrath of god earlier this year actually

>>50119627
because that's not what black does

why not give white a colorshifted phyrexian arena? lmao who cares xD
>>
>>50119548
If Damnation is already something that black did, why did they make it a timeshifted version?

Black never really got wrath like white did, it usually was a selective wrath. black doing straight out destroy all creatures is a recent thing.
>>
>>50119548
I have no problem with people playing damnation but agressively costed wraths without drawbacks are not black in flavor bra
>>
>>50119605
We have this one guy who slashes two basic lands in half and glues combinations together, just so he can play with pretend Taigas and Savannahs.
>>
>>50119702
I think the big thing is that black isn't supposed to have "vanilla" wraths. The card has to do something else. Over costed with an upside like decree of pain or life's finale, or undercosted with a downside like toxic deluge requiring you to pay life or languish only hits smaller creatures
>>
>>50119465
>saved up and bought a dual
>tryharding
No the argument was about people spazing out over expensive cards, like what you're doing.

It was also about people thinking that purchasing a card, even an expensive one, is tryharding, which is fundamentally wrong.

>From actual EDH discussion.
It was an actual edh topic. Just because you didn't like the topic doesn't mean you get to tell people to stop talking about it.
>>
New thread
>>50120207
>>50120207
>>
>>50119241

That must be why it was such a shit show. People didn't even know what they were arguing about.
>>
File: pic430190_md.jpg (76KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
pic430190_md.jpg
76KB, 500x358px
PARTNER ERRATA WHEN?
>>
>>50115877
Newmrakul. Either gain control of the guy taking advantage of your generosity and fuck his day up, or give a friendly player a time walk. Either way, you get a big fatty too.
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.