[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 34

File: Catholic Space Nazis.jpg (42KB, 383x498px) Image search: [Google]
Catholic Space Nazis.jpg
42KB, 383x498px
Tech Guard vs True Skitarii Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lfbawnl8buxaoc3

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vyv56zze9m828d2

If weapons or factions change, such as the switch from Skitarii as Tech Guard to Legionaries, do you make those changes in your game, or do you keep things in stasis, essentially diverting from the actual setting?

Old thread: >>50033029 I'll give it to you this time
>>
Lets be honest... most of the posters below have never played any of these games even once.
>>
>>50077148

We all asked stupid questions once. We're here to help.
>>
>>50076284
Why does FFG, a third party source, put out better lore than 90 percent of GW sources?
>>
>>50077467
FFG is designing a setting where many kinds of story should be interesting, and many kinds of characters should be viable.
GW is designing a setting to sell models for a war game.
That's why we have shit tonnes of details on tiny variations of space marines, but relatively little on, say, how the nobility works, or what life is like for an average bureaucrat.
FFG's strength is that they are keeping all of the elements of the setting in mind and extrapolating them into different kinds of story, while GW basically just wants to make an action movie most of the time.
>>
>>50076284
The rules for Only War mass battles seem like they're shit. Is there any other variation people uses?
>>
>>50077817
Pretty much all the mass battle rulesets are various flavors of shit, pick your poison.
>>
File: forge world.jpg (92KB, 800x612px) Image search: [Google]
forge world.jpg
92KB, 800x612px
>>50077817
I usually just do oppossed command checks, or resolve things narratively.
Give some minor bonuses/penalties for troop quality, positioning, good plans, numbers, terrain etc.
In Deathwatch, whenever they have support it "cancels" x number of hordes. So for example, a platoon of Guardsmen and a tank in support is enough to take out two-three medium sized (20-30 magnitude) hordes. I allow the team leader to make a command check, again with penalties and bonuses based on various factors in the battle. If he fails, their followers are injured/killed/captured or otherwise removed from the battle, if he passes they survive. Impressive successes or failures add extra effects, like the Guard accidentally shelling their position, or going on a rampage of heroism and doing extra damage to the enemy.
>>
>>50077970
What about participating in a massed batter? Like how do you not make it a command check followed by series of BS test?

There's a battle in No Surrender where you pop open a hatch and there's literally rank after rank of enemy standing in a big open cargo bay and then the two sides fight. I can't for the life of me think how to make that interesting.
>>
Do you think it's possible for a DH2 party to take down a Lord of Change from BC? They handled genestealers from DW pretty well, and have a blank with them.
>>
>>50078024
I guess it depends on how much XP they have and how actually scheming a brilliant you're playing the LoC.

The difference between clawed horrors from beyond the stars and a literal god of deception, strategy, and magic is qutie vast..
>>
>>50078024
I mean, in theory, it's possible, sure. Likely? I seriously doubt it, even with a blank to hide behind.
>>
>>50078067
They're around 20k. As for the LoC, they've been behind pretty much every bit of heresy the party's faced thus far. Everything's been planned right down to the individual red herrings. So I'd say the LoC has been played pretty straight thus far.

Normally I wouldn't dare throw such a disguised TPK at them, but they're set on taking the LoC down. I hope to make the battle cinematic as fuck, but all signs keep pointing to a TPK. Maybe that's a "good" end for a 40k game though.
>>
File: scale.png (498KB, 790x608px) Image search: [Google]
scale.png
498KB, 790x608px
>>50076140
I thought there were, but apparently not. Here's the rules from Rogue Trader and Black Crusade.
>>
File: FFG-StarWars.jpg (101KB, 720x386px) Image search: [Google]
FFG-StarWars.jpg
101KB, 720x386px
>2016
>playing outdated warhammershit
>>
Why doesn't the master beastiary on 40krpgtools work for me and just gives me a 404? Unless it's just broken for everyone in which case fuck me
>>
>>50079420

Just took a look and it works for me just fine. As a sidenote, now that FFG no longer sells the 40k RPGs does this mean we can build tools that can present book information or make Consolidated PDFs of all the books without risk of a cease and desist?
>>
>>50079420
>>50079478
It didn't work for me the first time I tried, but now it's working, at least for me.
>>
File: everytime.png (62KB, 1366x728px) Image search: [Google]
everytime.png
62KB, 1366x728px
>>50079478
>>50079536
This is all I get whenever I click on any of the entries
>>
File: Stuff and things.png (181KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Stuff and things.png
181KB, 1920x1080px
>>50079593

Yeah its a legal thing, you can use it to look up something and see what page they are on.
>>
File: fuck warhounds.jpg (729KB, 1575x1173px) Image search: [Google]
fuck warhounds.jpg
729KB, 1575x1173px
>>50078014
Deathwatch has some advice for "turning points".
Basically, you present the pcs with a series of interesting individual skirmishes within the battle that influence the over all conflict.
So basically, I have the pcs roll out a command check. This determines the start of the battle. If they're leading from the front, then they're in the thick of it, and I throw some kind of interesting short skirmish at them.
Maybe they have to take out an enemy heavy weapon crew, or they locate an enemy command post, or see a psyker doing weird shit or something.
You fight that out, then make another command check, with bonuses/maluses depending on how they did.
You do two or three of those, and then that's the end of the battle.
Say the first event is attacking an artillery piece. Lets say the pcs fail horribly and have to retreat. Their next command check is at a -10 as the enemy surges forward behind a rolling barrage. The next turning point is then the pcs trying to rally a faltering squad as enemies armed with flamers approach. If they manage to keep it together, they get a bonus on their next check, if they fail, then they're pushed even farther back, etc.
A mass battle should, after all, be a pretty huge affair, probably taking a whole session, so you string together a series of lesser engagements in the context of the greater battle, while determining the flow of combat with the player's command rolls.

As for the ranks of enemies standing in an open bay, yeah, that sounds lame. More like a Bolivian Army ending than a true battle. I'd probably have the pcs running for their lives rather than participating in an open slaughter.
>>
So alright /tg/, favorite SM armor? Post pictures if you want, so I can know ehay exactly you are talking about. I don't know why, but beaky armor is the only armor that makes me the happiest person in the Imperium.
>>
>>50079730
Also, I am a filthy bastard for not providing the pictures I am asking of others. Lemme fix that.
>>
File: beakie gon' choke a bitch.jpg (91KB, 681x422px) Image search: [Google]
beakie gon' choke a bitch.jpg
91KB, 681x422px
>>50079730
>>50079749
>beakies
Muh nigga.
>>
>>50078400
It will be a tpk unless they aren't stupid.
To wit, they will have to get thru a small army of mortal cultists, sorcerers, summoned daemons jus to get to it, and then it's own bodyguard.
It's not about xp alone, but equipment they bring to bear, and living long enough to use it.
>>50078533
Does DH2e have something like this somewhere? It always turns into a thing trying to get multiple pieces of something, like rations, clothing, small gear like glowglobes multiple people want.
>>
>>50079793
They are just fantastic. I like them not looking like other power armor from other media. Instead they have some knight \ plague doctor look to them that makes me want to see them do awesome shit.
>>
>>50079730
Mark IV is my fave desu, followed by mk 3
>>
File: Beakie_has_a_soda[1].jpg (139KB, 533x688px) Image search: [Google]
Beakie_has_a_soda[1].jpg
139KB, 533x688px
>>50077817
I put various units, terrain pieces and objectives on the table.
There is an overall goal for each side, and most units have specific objectives and a couple triggers (when do they retreat, if they hate some other unit,...)
Then everyone does its thing independantly, and I solve combat between NPC units with a simple d10 moderated by their relative strenght and specific stats.
If the NPC unit succeed they might give a bonus to the players (giving fire support from a nearby hill, cutting enemy reinforcements, destroying AAA so the valkyries can come and evac the wounded,...)
And the players can choose to help NPC units.

Quite easy to run and makes for neat roleplay after the battle, when you failed to reach the bridge in time to cover the retreat of another regiments and the survivors want to break your bones.

When I'm feeling fancy I make a quick table of random events to spice things up, like tnaks getting stuck in mud, misaimed arty barrage, a platoon doing a berzerk charge, and so on...

>>50079730
Everyone loves beakies.
>>
>>50078024
>LoC from BC
>Genestealers from DW
Why using enemies from different lines when 2e has them in the splat books?
>>
Are motorcycles the same between the different lines?
>>
>>50081357
Ha ha ha, of course not. You've got 4 different profiles in 3 different lines, and the one in BC is even treated as a mount instead of a vehicle.

And don't get me started on jetpacks.

>>50077148
What makes you think so?
>>
>>50081088
Mark 4 gets my dick hard holy shit i love that helmet.
>>
I'm having a hard time finding how many seconds are in a round. I think I remember it being 5, but I can't find that. Does anyone know offhand what or where it is?
>>
>>50082414

I like to make it 6 seconds so you can make ten rounds a minuet, it helps to keep track of things when you have something like "In ten minuets the ship will blow up."
>>
>>50076284

Nothing past late 4th edition is canon to me, so yes, my 40k is in stasis.
>>
>>50078024
Probably, given proper equipment.

Psyk-out grenades should at least weaken it if not outright prevent the use of psychic powers (depends on GM).
Hexagrammatic wards on armour provide additional defences against psychic attacks.
Null Rod is a good idea especially if someone is going melee. Even then, null rods and forcefields for everybody is a good idea.
If you can prepare the battlefield beforehand you can stick banishing rods all around, but the daemon will most likely escape their area pretty quick.

Power Stakes, Daemonbane weapons and heavy bolters with psybolt ammunition are all capable of dealing absolutely massive.

One of the major problems is passing the fear check. Using unguents of warding can help this by up to +30, tough they're difficult to use.
>>
Mark 8 armor gets me rock hard.
>>
>>50081357
Of course not. Motorcycles vary radically in real life, why would they all be the same in 40k?
>Harley vs a custom chopper vs a Japanese racing bike vs an electric cycle vs a working show piece for a movie
>>
File: IMG_2948.jpg (255KB, 603x883px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2948.jpg
255KB, 603x883px
>>50079730
MkII.
>>
>>50081107

Genestealers in DH2 are WAY too overstatted.
>>
>>50083659
>Genestealers in DH2 are WAY too overstatted.
Pretty much all NPC's in DH2 are overstatted or understatted. They're an absolute shitshow of half-assed game design.
>>
>>50081088
MkIV represent.
>>
>>50083709
>They're an absolute shitshow of half-assed game design.
I wonder if FFG knew the license would run out and were half-assing a last squirt onto the page to make some dosh, or if they just lost interest since Star Wars was printing money and half-assed it for that reason, and lost the license as a result. I guess we'll never really know.
>>
>>50083828

Prevailing theory is they broke contract by releasing Rune Wars, becoming a competitor to Age of Sigmar.
>>
Are there any supplements that mention what it's like to play as part of the Severan Dominate in Only War?
>>
>>50084424
shield of humanity has renegade regiment rules
>>
>>50084227
Or they were simply bought by Asmodée, causing a ton of licence shuffling due to imcompatible contracts and rights.
>>
Ok, jackass who plays favorites with power armor here. I can agree that >>50083494
And >>50081088
Are both also acceptable because of the face grills, but both worse than beakies.
>>
>>50084424
Enemies of the Imperium.
>>
>>50084424

It's a statted regiment in Shield of Humanity.
>>
The Purge Soul psyker power says "The psyker chooses a target within range and line of sight, who opposes the power with a Willpower test. If the psyker wins the Opposed test, the target suffers 1 point of Energy damage per degree of success on the test, plus an amount equal to the target’s Corruption bonus, ignoring armour and Toughness bonus"

Where does it list Corruption bonus for NPCs? Does the GM just make it up?
>>
>>50084623 here, >>50084618 is right it's that book. Shield has rules for playing custom traitor/renegade regiments.
>>
Would it be reasonable to let a Daemon Prince PC buy some of the properly aligned Daemon Engine powers with Favour?
>>
>>50084624
Corruption bonus is probably the tens of your corruption score, just like the willpower bonus is the tens of your Willpower score.
>>
>>50084743
But where do you find NPC corruption scores?
>>
>>50084788
Iunno. Is this a power to be used by PCs as well? I assume this is Black Crusade, although enemies there have listed Infamy but no Corruption.
>>
>>50084831
No, this is Dark Heresy 2, Enemies Beyond
>>
>>50084846
Ah I see. Then I have no idea but, if I was you, I'd just make it up.
>>
>>50084890
Since you only need the tens, it should be easy to ballpark it.

Hell, proper heretics ought to have over 100, by the measure of DH2.
>>
>>50084657

you asked this before. everyone said no.
>>
What does the Sanctified quality do for psyker powers? They already overcome the Daemonic quality
>>
>>50085778
>Hell, proper heretics ought to have over 100, by the measure of DH2.
How do you figure that?
>>
>>50085778
>Heretic gets a rune sword
>Now cuts down foes with ease due to 1d10+10 pen 10 weapon
No.
>>
>>50085925
>>50085930
Cause in non-Black Crusade games 100 Corruption is where a PC goes off and becomes an arch-heretic, ceasing to be a player character. It's not to the same Corruption scale as Black Crusade.
>>
>>50086632
Does that mean that Daemons count as having 200 Corruption Points?
>>
File: ss+(2014-11-16+at+11.00.50).jpg (37KB, 357x449px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-11-16+at+11.00.50).jpg
37KB, 357x449px
Hey /40krpg/ !
I never played an rpg game, but I wanna try to start from DH, what does it feels like? Where can I find any logs for game?
>>
Anyone got some non-weeb OW character art?
>>
>>50087230
http://wh40kart.im/
>>
I really like the comrade mechanic in only war and I kind of want to emphasize it a bit more for non sergeant players. With this in mind I'm thinking about homebrewing a conscript regiment that fluff wise emphasizes strength in numbers over all else which will mechanically give the PCs more and tougher comrades while weakening the PC which when summed up will roughly make it about the same strength as a regular guardsman with one comrade.

Basically, I wan't them to experience horrific losses without actually making PC's go through a lot of character sheets.

For starters I'm thinking of the regiment rules to be something along these lines.
>No starting exp
>Characteristic modifiers: -5 WS, -5 BS, -3 Toughness
>Free talents: Double team or Lasgun volley, Veteran comrade
>Wounds: Halve base specialty wounds, add rolled wounds normally.
>Special rules: Starts with the Intervention veteran order which is always active and can be used even if the PC has already issued a command. Gain two additional comrades for a total of three per PC (stacks with born leader and similar comrade advances), Comrades gain an additional wound state. They can now be Healthy, lightly wounded, heavily wounded or dead.
>Equipment: Primary weapons have the Melee attachment upgrade by default, Starts with a mono knife but half as much ammunition for their main Lasgun.

Any input to make this work more smoothly would be greatly appreciated.
>>
How would you play an oathbroken in Black Crusade?
>>
>>50088019

Nobody wants to play a glorified comrade, anon.

>>50088188

What is an oathbroken?
>>
>>50088515
I'm wondering thematically, would you start the game with worst quality bionics and poor quality gear or something?
>>
>>50088575
I suppose you can do repairs at the watch station. Having a battle brother looking like a bum on mission isn't something any commander would want.

Why would an oathbroker join the deathwatch?
Nonetheless, your fellow marines are gonna love the mk.5 armor.
>>
>>50077148
I am both running an RT game and playing in a DH1e game
>>
>>50076284
As someone just getting into Only War and looking for the 3rd party stuff just to have it, what is the latest version of [Chivalry Intensifies]? Are there any other books besides that and Mars Needs Women?
>>
>>50088713
Well that's Deathwatch, which would be dope if I can ever get into a Deathwatch game. Though I'm curious about a starting level Black Crusade, perhaps just playing it as a forsaken would be the way to go.
>>
>>50088713
For Black Crusade, not Deathwatch, anon.
>>
>>50088877
Welp, time to go to bed, apparently.
>>
>>50076284

Tech-Guard fo' lyfe. Games Workshop's abortion of "skitarii" brings shame to the name.
>>
>>50084624
I found the answer to this question in BC and I can't recall what it is. Now that's not exactly a helpful response but the answer is out there.

Vaguely I think its something like equal to their WP bonus, but I don't remember exactly.
>>
>>50089434
It's a start, at least. Thanks.
>>
Alright lads, how would you all stat the new Genestealer Cult gribblies for the 40k RPGs?
>>
>>50089678

Take genestealer, add a PR35 shield that doesn't overload
>>
>>50089678
Take standard generic baddies. Stat them up by like 10 in all categories. Give them like a sick melee claw weapon.

That's it.
>>
>>50090185
>Stat them up by 10 in all categories

Now hold the fuck up, who said Hybrid Guardsmen were better than Aspect Warriors? I'd consider, maybe, a +5 to Ag, WP and Per at most.
>>
In Black Crusade, if a PC gets possessed and exorcised, are they still able to get Rewards?
>>
>>50082807
>nothing past the worst edition lorewise when the grimdark retardation was in full control of the setting
I actually excise most of 3/4e lore from my games, and pick back up from 5e. 3/4e gave us the outrageous, nonsensical grimdark shit that makes people think how stupid 40k is, because it clearly exists for it's own sake first, serves the setting second.
It's 90s EXXXTREME first and foremost, and I despise it accordingly.
>>
File: Daemon_World.jpg (144KB, 755x1057px) Image search: [Google]
Daemon_World.jpg
144KB, 755x1057px
I really get the impression that no one has really bothered with Black Crusade. Wonder why, out of all of them the creative and storytelling opportunities are the best.
>>
>>50090670

Because black crusade is full of teamkilling fucktards and getting rewarded for it.
>>
>>50090670
Pretty much >>50090715

It is possible to get a group that works together and all, but incredibly difficult to do so, especially if they're in-character unless if they're all aligned to the game god or something.
>>
>>50090763
I meant 'same god' though would Tzeentch count as that?
>>
File: 1472655677927.jpg (59KB, 640x550px) Image search: [Google]
1472655677927.jpg
59KB, 640x550px
>>50090763
>tfw you go out of your way to work with the party in spite of your alignment
>Still get stabbed in the back by the Slaaneshi
>Everyone says the game sucks
>>
>>50090519
>3/4e gave us the outrageous, nonsensical grimdark shit

Which is why it's the best. It has cast off the garbage of 1e and 2e, and comes before the giant monster power creep of 5e onward. The Grimdark was at its maximum, and the setting's antibodies against any sort of positive change were at their strongest. It creates the truest feeling of real 40k.
>>
>>50090950
>It has cast off the garbage of 1e and 2e
This is the part of your post where I literally stopped reading.
>>
>>50091116

>orks with Lasguns!
>Half-Eldar Astropaths!
>Squats XD!

These things died for a reason, anon. Let go. Accept 40k for what it's supposed to be, not what it was, and is now.
>>
>>50090763
I dunno we had some real good BC stuff, post major battles were always very tense though. But of course that was the fun.
>>
>>50090715
Do other BC parties not put a loyalty part into their compacts? Because that's what my group would always do? Usually it resulted in corruption for whoever violated it.

Now when that compact was completed, that's when the in depth negotiation, explanations of how your were to valuable to kill ran, and begging was the key to avoiding a TPK. Often we'd lose a character or two in this stage, but it was fine.

This did lead to a proliferation of "revenge characters." Ever see a psyrating 8 Thousand Sun Sorcerer with two Rubric Marine cohorts? It fucking sucks and the rest of the party was really united in killing him off.
>>
>>50091905
The more I hear about Black Crusade the more it sounds like Always Sunny with demons
>>
>>50089434
After having skimmed through all the BC books in the mega file, I can't find anything like this. The closest I can get is the rule that NPCs die if they take 10 corruption points at once
>>
Only War newbie here.

Are there rules covering trying to get multiples of an item?
Basically, I want to see if we can get our entire squad outfitted with microbeads (weren't included with our standard gear). But outside of hoping they're included with future mission assignment gear, there doesn't seem to be a way to obtain multiples of an item - which kinda sucks. We have a squad of 12 (6 players, 6 comrades).
>>
>>50092028
Flipping through my books I can't find the reference either.

Eh take their Infamy and -D10. Their you go.
>>
>>50092184
No, there are no real rules for acquiring multiples of items in Only War. You could just see if there's an unscrupulous equipment officer who will trade you for them. Like if you've got a pimping aspect warrior helm a crate of microbeads might go missing.

Just don't let the commissar catch you.
>>
Trying to make a Drop Trooper stormtrooper regiment in Only War is harder than I anticipated. Especially when the ammo fuckery around Hotshot lasguns comes in.
>>
>>50092721
Elaborate?
>>
>>50092842
RAW, a hotshot lasgun comes with a 10kg backpack power source that provides it with 30 shots.

The problem is how, if ever the players will get to reload that shit.

Also trying to give them both Hotshot Lasguns and Stormtrooper Carapace is quite a problem
>>
>>50091950
That's pretty on point actually.

In one of our games we had a fallen Raven Guard that was a Khorne worshiping double lightning clawed menace and we knew he was going to just tear everyone's asshole apart as soon as we succeeded in our compact. So our Alpha Legion sniper was able to find out that a passing Chaos Reaver Captain had an undefeated champion named Thresh the Bloodstorm. So our Apostle (me) went around talking up our Raven Guard, the reincarnation of Kharne, absolutely undefeated, destroyed a baneblade with only a hang over and his codpiece, etc etc. And gave him the title of the Bloodstorm, this naturally pissed off the Reaver Captain

Suffice to say that Thresh the Bloodstorm was actually a Hellbrute. So our Raven Guard got some good hits in, but ultimately thing didn't turn out well for him.
>>
>>50092931
Brute of Burden can help with that. Or just go with a backpack power pack at 30kg/90 shots vs. 25kg/80 shots. Could also go with how 2e words how much ammo the thing carries by multiplying the mag size by 5.
>>
>>50092931
Oh you straight up want to have your line troopers to be stormtroopers. That is going to be hard to do, I'd just get them Stormtrooper Carapace and let thing figure out weapons.
>>
>>50093115
I'm starting to reconsider the idea, what with how resistant Only War's rules seem to be to it. Maybe I'll just have them be regular Drop Troopers.
>>
>>50092227
What if I am using something not from Black Crusade?
>>
>>50076284
I'm looking over Only War. Is these anything for running Aeronautica campaigns? I want to get my Top Gun on.
>>
>>50093458
No.
>>
>>50090715

So just ignore that system.
>>
File: Imperial_Stormtrooper_guard.jpg (89KB, 326x826px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial_Stormtrooper_guard.jpg
89KB, 326x826px
>>50092931

I was debating this in earlier threads, about how a hellgun with the typical 2 reloads would force the pc to lug around 36 kg just for that. I think we resolved it by saying they just use large charge packs seen in 70% of stormtroopers and the backpacks are the generic backpack power sources rather then the unique ones.
>>
>>50076284
>Tech Guard vs True Skitarii Edition
MECHANICUM NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w8aG3VhArE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFULVMSd5JY

How would you do a stomach gun in 40k RPGs, anyway? Just get an MIU?
>>
Does this series consider the PC as his own ally for the purpose of receiving buffs?

For example, If I take the talent that lets me use the inspire action as a half action which gives everyone a +10 to their next characteristic or skill test, do I also benefit from this? Seems like great action economy if it worked like that as it would be equivalent to an aim action.
>>
File: bellygun RT.png (2MB, 1158x1708px) Image search: [Google]
bellygun RT.png
2MB, 1158x1708px
>>50090670
I think it's because the other games already allow for pretty much any aligment or archetype. You can play an heretic cell working for a radical Inquisitor, space pirates instead of rogue traders, chaos cultists regiments...
BC main advantage over the other games is as a compendium of chaotic powers, abilities and gear, but it seems quite unbalanced in that aspect.
Also, "surrender your soul to darkness and become a daemon prince" doesn't really appeal to me as an endgoal, especially when the system fucks you for not following one of the big 4.

>>50095085
>stomach gun
I'd just count it as a bipod (90° fire arc instead of 45° when braced)
They've been a part of 40k since Rogue Trader. I miss all that bizarre looking units

On the topic of bipods and tripods, it's supposed to be an upgrade available to any basic weapon. Am I missing something, or is it completely useless since brace is an action meant for heavy weapons only?

>>50092184
Other games have availability modifiers for large quantities.
see >>50078533
>>
>>50077148
Truestory. My players suck at GMing, so I'm doomed to never play it myself...
>>
>>50087142
Help? Anyone?
>>
>>50096778
Basic resolution mechanics is roll under your relevant ability score with gear and skill modifiers.

For example, hacking a very complicated computer (-40). You're a techpriest trained in the relevant skill (tech use (intelligence +10) with the right tools (+10) and dedicated brain implants (+10) and your intelligence score is 43.
So you've got to roll under 43-40+30=33 to succeed. Every tenth number is a degree of success that can grant you bonuses (for example, you roll 21, it's 33-12, so you have 2 degree of success)
On the other side you have degree of failure too. If you roll 37 it's one degree of failure, 57 it's 3 degrees, and so on...

Check the mega in the OP for the intro scenario. I don't know of any log.
DH 1st edition will have you begin as the lowest of the low. Combat is pretty nasty.
The rest is mostly up to the GM.
>>
>>50096580
>that picture
LOL. Not quite what I was talking about, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmcU-_aG3f8
>>
>>50095939
No, you are not considered your own ally, as nothing really leads toward this.
>>
File: 1476125605782.png (157KB, 955x375px) Image search: [Google]
1476125605782.png
157KB, 955x375px
>>50097447
>you are not considered your own ally
>>
There are so many things I want to play in DH2 and so few opportunities to play it. How should I decide what to play if I actually get the chance?
>>
>>50098381
Figure out what's appropriate for the game
>>
File: 1438517200336.jpg (461KB, 1170x803px) Image search: [Google]
1438517200336.jpg
461KB, 1170x803px
>>50087142
Depends how you run it really

http://www.theallguardsmenparty.com/
Have the All Guardsmen Party, it's a pretty good story of a OW turned DH campaign
>>
>>50076284
>If weapons or factions change, such as the switch from Skitarii as Tech Guard to Legionaries, do you make those changes in your game, or do you keep things in stasis, essentially diverting from the actual setting?

How did this change? I thought that's what Skitarii have always been. Perhaps Grenadier or better equipped (like the Crimson Guard) but that was the role they'd essentially fill.
>>
How viable is an unarmed, punchy and wrestly character in BC?
>>
>>50100555
Largely depends on what you are going up against.
>>
>>50100555
In the Khorne Splatbook Tome of Blood there is a background called Xur Frost Father. That is for a human character and basically makes them start as conan the Barbarian, crazy strong and lethal in close combat. with a few talents you could make it work to some degree.

using a Space Marine Character gives you even more viability since they are seriously fcking stronk
>>
>>50100555
The Khornate in our group does it, and it works pretty well against most human opponents. I think he imported the Wrestler talent from somewhere, essentially making grapples better.

Hell, as long as your opponents care, you can just bash them until their fatigue knocks them out.
>>
>>50099606

Look up the new skitarii. The customizable Tech Guard, IG regiments enhanced with cybernetics, the ultimate "Your Dudes", got retconned and replaced with the soulless, standardized Vanguard, Rangers, Sicarians, etc who are way more powerful than guard could ever hope to be, and are literally mind controlled mid battle to do better.
>>
>>50099606
Wait what happened to the Tech Guard?
>>
>>50100946

Gone. Replaced with the Legio Skitarii, and the two codexes. Can't have fluff without models anymore, after all.
>>
>>50100903
Only way I can think of to reconcile this is that Tech-Guard skitarii are the more expendable, larger complement and Legio Skitarii are for when they're willing to roll out archeotech to win.
>>
>>50099334
>it's a pretty good story of a OW turned DH campaign
The All Guardsmen Party makes a good story, yes, but I'd slap a player for half the shit they pull or try to pull in that campaign. Like, literally physically slap them with an open palm.
>>
>>50100996
It annoys me that the Skitarii are an actual force now that 40k is utter dog garbage. They were the one faction that really interested me.
>>
>>50099606

they used to be red armored gene-forged fanatics with lasgun and cybernetics. Now they use all sorts of unrecognizable freaky shit like radium guns, arc weapons, etc, which no longer fit the feel of an IG game.
>>
>>50101340
To be fair, you can still do it.

Take Skitarii/AdMech with IG Allies.
>>
>>50101472

Yeah but then you just have mechanicus and guard. You don't have that unified aesthetic anymore since it was stated in the codex that ALL forge world's, in deference of Mars, outfit their Legion identically, following the pure Legio pattern. Just the color palettes are different. The cult mechanicus would NEVER trust mere guardsmen with their best toys.
>>
>>50100903

And that is thematically inappropriate for the Mech how?
>>
>>50100903
Weren't the Tech Guard canonically like really different from forgeworld to forgeworld? Like they ranged from cybernetically enhanced guardsmen with better gear, to murder servitors, to vat grown brutes that were meatpuppetted by the techpriests.
>>
>>50102172
>Weren't the Tech Guard canonically like really different from forgeworld to forgeworld?

They were, until the codex retconned it and made everyone use vanguard, rangers, etc.

>>50102052

Because the admech doesn't truly "ally" anymore, they just swarm with personality-less guys until everything falls. There's no way to get in character with a skitarii force, and the admech doesn't cyber up guard units anymore, the codex deeming it wasteful.
>>
File: 1476100006754.jpg (78KB, 477x357px) Image search: [Google]
1476100006754.jpg
78KB, 477x357px
>>50081091
>>
>>50102233

There's a simple solution. Just say

"I don't feel that's canon."

There. You just beat GW, Laurie Goulding, everyone who disagrees with you. You've won. Now you can use Tech Guard without regret.
>>
>>50091950
Slaves! Commence decelwration!
Y-yes my dark lord.
U-um w-we can't.
What!?! Why can't we decelerate!?!
Because I cut the brakes fuckheads! Wild card bitches! Yeeehaw!
>>
What would the average commoner know about Sisters of Battle?

Would they recognise them?
>>
How long does time take in the warp?

Do you do tons of normal stuff? Like would ship functions continue as normal or is it constant battle stations type scenario?
>>
File: tumblr_ndo4s3xQln1qlpyreo6_1280.jpg (112KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndo4s3xQln1qlpyreo6_1280.jpg
112KB, 597x519px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czpve_uNiLM

I just want to be a Word Bearer from Colchis returning to a world he had personally had a hand in building and converting the local populace to Lorgar's creed and worship of the Emperor in the Great Crusade, which he subsequently defended later in the Horus Heresy/Great Scouring and watched the people he raised up be exterminated from the planet's surface by genocidal Imperial lapdogs, and now in the 41st millennium has been built up again to worship the Emperor...

I JUST WANT TO BE A WORD BEARER FROM COLCHIS RETURNING TO A WORLD HE HAD PERSONALLY HAD A HAND IN BUILDING AND CONVERTING THE POPULACE TO LORGAR'S CREED AND WORSHIP OF THE EMPEROR IN THE GREAT CRUSADE, AND SUBSEQUENTLY DEFENDED LATER IN THE HORUS HERESY/GREAT SCOURING AND WATCHED THE PEOPLE HE HAD RAISED UP BE EXTERMINATED FROM THE PLANET'S SURFACE BY GENOCIDAL IMPERIAL LAPDOGS, AND NOW IN THE 41ST MILLENNIUM HAS BEEN BUILT UP AGAIN TO WORSHIP THE EMPEROR!
>>
>>50103944
>How long does time take in the warp?
It's literally impossible to predict that outside of extremely well-mapped routes, and even then it's a lot of approximations. But a good rule of thumb is a matter of a week to several in the warp, and a variable time factor in real time.
>Do you do tons of normal stuff? Like would ship functions continue as normal or is it constant battle stations type scenario?
It's impossible to stay on red alert for weeks on end, so it's a lot of normal stuff and time for housekeeping and bookkeeping, but you are on yellow alert at all times in case the Gellar Field does fail.
Feel free to edit that to make warp travel safer or more risky, but it does ideally need to remain the best option, but always has some risk of ruining your shit
>>
File: Squat.jpg (25KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
Squat.jpg
25KB, 265x265px
>>50103691

That only works to an extent. You can't have an outlook based on feels. There has to be some objective basing to stand on. It's one thing to ADD something, but change enough things, and you have to wonder if the setting is the right one for you.

>>50104070

Dumb slannposter
>>
>>50104612
Have read your Republican Commando stuff you posted last thread, while the Accelerator cannon itself isn't twin-linked, it is on the Fellblade, according to the Legion Army list.
>>
>>50104612
>You can't have an outlook based on feels.
Honestly, I feel like that's wrong.
>>
>>50101656
Am currently modelling and painting a force of Skitarii + Forge World Auxilia (IG allies. Tank commander, some lemon russes and meatbags to suicide rush with meltaguns as a distraction) just because I thought the idea is cool. The guardsmen have a hodgepodge of cybernetic arms/legs/heads and wield Galvanic Rifles (counting as lasguns ofc, unless my opponent turns out to be bro tier and/or has custom wargear for their army as well).

I'm reconciling it with the fluff by saying that the Forge World Auxilia serve as raw recruits for the skitarii and since they are augmented if not part cyber along with the usual low lifetime expectancy of guard, they care little about wielding radioactive weapons.

I really just wanted Tech Guard. My Forge World is a special snowflake in a sea of mediocrity.
>>
>>50101472
Or Skitarii/AdMech with Tempestus Scion allies. After all, the Adeptus Mechanicus are members of the Adeptus Terra, so their children should be viable candidates for the Schola Progenium.
>>
Can cybernetics be possessed my Daemons, and if so, would they count as Daemon weapons or Daemon engines?
>>
>>50107131
By RAW, no.
>>
>>50103786
>How much do they know
Jack shit

>Would they recognise them?
They'd likely see the ecclesiarchal vestments and designs, the big fucking bolters, flamers and power armour, and fall to their fucking knees and do whatever is demanded of them.
You don't fuck with the duly authorised and supported militant arm of the Ecclesiarchy.
>>
>>50107381
Aren't the sisters responsible for running a lot of the secondary services, like education for the wealthy/nobility, as well as charities including medical services?

Also Nuns with Guns. Like that isn't going to be propaganda'd to fuck.

I'm not saying the average citizen would know the intimate details of their orders, or even the general ones, but they would probably know there were fighting, teaching, and giving SoB's.
>>
>>50077817
Check out deathwatch premade adventures, they have those and they aren't too bad.
>>
>>50107409
There are scarcely few sisters in the Galaxy, and while they would be the subject of propoganda, that doesn't mean they'll actually know anything about them that means anything.

Nothing which they wouldn't immediately grasp the moment they saw one.
>>
>>50107131
>>50107193
Well, there are cybernetic weapons, so maybe you could make some cybernetic daemon-weapons?
>>
>>50107409
Since the various non-military sisterhoods exist all over the galaxy people would likely be aware that there was an elite fighting force of nuns with guns and little else beyond that.
>>
What sports exist in the 40k?
>>
>>50108179
scrumball, essentially a game rugby in space
>>
Are daemon weapons subject to the effects of a haywire field?
>>
>>50108620
I would generally say no.
>>
>>50107548
>There are scarcely few sisters in the Galaxy,
I never really got that impression. There are certainly far more Battle Sisters alone than there are Marines, never mind the non-military orders. I think it's been said every sector of the Imperium has at least one native Order? Might be fanon, but the Sisters are relatively common, a lot more than Marines but far less than the Guard.
>>
>>50109471
Sectors are pretty massive, hombre.
>>
>>50109480
Yes, and there are way more than 1k-and-change, which is how many Marine chapters there are.
>>
>>50109506
The comparison to Marines isn't the most helpful.
Marines travel as Chapters mostly, and keep to themselves when not needed.

Sisters are a lot less dicrete.
>>
>>50109738
Companies, rather.
>>
Did anyone make stuff for Malice in BC?
>>
>>50110554
I remember an anon came on some while ago who homebrew a little bit of it and posted new mutation effects for us to look over

He never came back once those were posted, which I assume is because nobody answered, so it seemed like no one was into it.
>>
>>50107548
>scarcely few sisters in the Galaxy
Everything I've read about them points to the contrary.
You have battle sisters on every important sacred place in the galaxy. Disregarding GW's silly "at least on sister for every shrine" fluff, there is sisters in cathedrals and reliquaries, that's a shitton of SoBs. They're also supposed to protect pilgrim vessels and guard black ships.
Old-school repentia journeyed across the galaxy knight errant-style.
Some hospitallers are affected to the guard and the navy, and the rest maintains hospitals and shelters on imperial worlds.
There is a famulous acting as a chamberlain for every important noble family in the imperium. NOt to mention the delegations.
Dialogus act as liaison for the guard, navy and administratum.
And the missionarius galaxia missions have sisters of every kind.

Not only are they numerous, they are often in places where they can be seen (if only from afar).

They've drawn a lot of inspiration from religious orders during the middle ages, and those were quite omnipresent.
>>
>>50104139

Alright so you would expect a crew to develop plot wise then, if say a new member joins a Rogue Trader ship and they spend a month in the warp it's not like they can come out the other side at the same stage of their character relationship as before.
>>
>>50111536

So then basically every voidsman would have heard of the Adepta Sororitas?

If a Sister of Battle was on an RT ship how should she expect the crew to react? Falling on their knees in worship of a Saint? Just respectful in the same way they'd treat any other crew?
>>
>>50112057
Just imagine your local vicar but with a boltgun. How would you react? I guess 40k doesn't have selfie sticks, which is a good thing.
>>
>>50112124
>with a boltgun
And power armour, and the unquestionable goddamn purity of the Sisters.
>>
>>50112057
She's probably seen as walking warp insurance.
>>
>>50112468
>>50112137
>>50112124

https://youtu.be/T9uuhtqKX5c?t=5185

Specifically at 1:27:00 is pretty accurate then?
>>
File: skullus maximus.jpg (220KB, 594x1157px) Image search: [Google]
skullus maximus.jpg
220KB, 594x1157px
bomp
>>
Would Black Crusade be better if it was less centered around the Big Four? And how would this be brought about?
>>
>>50114670

Chaos IS the big four. There is nothing beyond them.
>>
>>50114694
There might not be anything beyond them, but there's a great deal beneath them, and aren't most Chaos followers unaligned?
>>
>>50114670
I wish their were a couple more benefits to being an undivided follower. As it stands with BC there is a total of 1 benefit to being undivided and that's if your power armour happens to have that benefit. Otherwise you'd be a fool not to pick a god.
>>
>>50114763
But how about rerolling mutations?
>>
>>50114763
Wait, doesn't your free will slowly erode if you're aligned?
>>
>>50114763
There's also Exalted psyker powers
>>
>>50114736

Unaligned/Undivided as a concept got scrapped after Belakor. You're now dedicated to one of the Big Four always. Yes, it throws Perturabo and Lorgar into the fire, but what does GW care?
>>
>>50114694
>Chaos is infinite but limited to four gods.
Meh, I prefered the older fluff were daemons were more diverse and independant.
>>
>>50110578
The pdf I've seen posted here only had fluff.
>>
How would you nerds improve undivided in BC?
>>
>>50114775
Yeah, but you don't get to upgrade mutations to Rewards and there's no Mark for it.

I really wish they'd done a fifth Tome splatbook specifically for Undivided. It would be nice for non-psykers to have a reason for staying unaligned, and it would've made a lot more sense for ascension rules to be there instead of tacking it on to the Nurgle book.
>>
>>50115973
The alignment system in general needs improvements, tying it to advancement just results in awkward character progression.
>>
For Nurgle psychic powers, it has that line where things that grant resistance to poisons or disease grant their bonuses if the power would be an opposed toughness test on the part of the attacked.

Does it mean that either:
(A) Resistance (Poison) would apply instead of Resistance (Psychic Powers)
or
(B) Resistance (Poison, Psychic Powers) would stack together

Which is right?
>>
Working on putting together a sniper/tracker character for Dark Heresy 2 game.

Thoughts on what homeworld, background, role combo to use? Most have talents?
>>
>>50116937

Inescapable attack, tier 3, -10 to dodge per DoS on the attack.
>>
>>50102172
That´s Taghmata. So far official as in codicii of Horus Heresy and The Beast Arises Era, but screw that, there is only one true canon and that is Blanchitsu and your fucking imagination, anon.
>>
Working on a character for babby's first dark heresy game. What are the cliche tropes to avoid? So far I'm making an adeptus arbites assassin.
>>
>>50117745
Out of curiosity, why assassin? And what's your vision for the character? That's more important than builds or cliches.
>>
>>50116942

I'll grab that for sure, thanks.

Any good list of all the equipment across the various books?

I'm starting with the IG background gear, but can swap it for stuff of the same availability, and I get 2 scarce and 1 rare items. Any tips on what to grab?
>>
>>50112050
In my experience, warp travel is a really good excuse for downtime for people to train, socialize, party, make things, or ill-advisedly attempt to seduce the plasma drive.
>>
>>50117651
>there is only one true canon and that is Blanchitsu and your fucking imagination, anon.

So you believe in the 40k as Stasis'd Older Edition approach rather than the current view on things?
>>
>>50117822
Because it was one of the roles that wasn't taken. I really wanted to do adeptus mechanicus seeker, but we already had one. :(
>>
>>50117985
Not him, but Blanche is still makings things for GW.

And yeah, if you play rpgs, you'll have to rely on your imagination to make a coherent setting.
>>
File: NJ6Lknt.jpg (83KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
NJ6Lknt.jpg
83KB, 1000x625px
>>50105186

I don't know.

Do you think something like that could work?
>>
>>50115795
It was at the very bottom, I think.
>>
>>50107554

Are you trying to make a cyberdemon from DOOM, anon? Because it seems like you're trying to make a cyberdemon from DOOM.
>>
>>50118409

The techpriests of Mars can assume direct control of the entire population of the planet with a button, turning them into Skitarii in seconds. The Mechanicum keeps its own separate from the Scholas, more or less.
>>
File: ImpHierarchy.png (438KB, 690x481px) Image search: [Google]
ImpHierarchy.png
438KB, 690x481px
>>50105186
> the Adeptus Mechanicus are members of the Adeptus Terra
They're not.
And the Schola Progenium is run by the Adeptus Ministorum, which is also separate from the Adeptus Terra.
>>
>>50118485

They retconned it even more? Welp, time for more stuff to headcanon back to the way it's supposed to be.
>>
In a group playing 1e Dark Heresy as a psyker about to buy Psy rating 2, what sort of shenanigans should I be looking into?

I've already got Spasm and Healer.
>>
>>50118533
Technically, the Mechanicus aren't even part of the Imperium, just allied with it.
IMO it makes sense with the structure; they got their own planets and creed.

They were part of the Adeptus Terra in old fluff, but that's from at least ten years back (2nd edition sure, maybe 3rd too, but no further).

The Ecclesiarchy was never a part of the Adeptus Terra.
>>
>>50118584
I think it actually makes sense for the Inquisition to be a part of the Adeptus Ministorum with support from the AdTerra (the whole heresy thing) - is it ever really stated with clarity where the resources and authority the Inquisition are endowed with come from? If their only soruce is from the now comatose emperor, I'd expect their authority to be steadily eroded by the other Adeptus since they have no clear source of funding or raw military might.
Just a little thought.
>>
>>50118623
The "give me everything I ask for" rosette provides for resources and authority.
You could question it, but then you'd probably be branded a heretic.
Aside from simply taking what they want, I guess their ressources comes from the same sources as real life secret services: Black budgets, confiscations, illegal trafficking (since you have to get some undercover agents, you might as well get money from it).
They might get fund directly from the planetary tithes, or make every institution of the Imperium pay a bit.

The Ministorum got its own police with confessors, witchhunters, and the sisters of battle. Of course declaring someone apostate and sending a crazed mob on their asses is less subtle than most inquisitors.

If you make them answer to anything other than the Emperor, you'd make them lose power (Make them part of the imperium? Can't touch the Mechanicus anymore - Make them part of the Adeptus Terra? Can't touch the Ecclesiarchy); theorically all Inquisitors are equal and above everyone else, hence why it's a simple envoy sitting in the High Lords of Terra.

Of course byzantine workings, obtuse laws and court intrigues provide a counterpower.
>>
Now, I'm one that's always afraid of unintentionally powergaming. But how dig of a deal is being real strong at a few things?
>>
>>50118980

Depends. Some feel being strong at anything is disrespecting the lore where you're supposed to lose at everything because grimdark. Others feel that being strong actually allows you to do the job a galactic secret organization requires of you. All agree that Deathwatch is too much.
>>
>>50118952
Yeah, but authority without force doesn't work. Say the Inquisitor wants to confiscate a couple of tanks from an Imperial Guard regiment, but the commanders flat out refuse, and the Guard is backed up by the Navy because of reasons. So the Inquisitor brands them heretics, but the local Ministorum representative contests that claim - what can the Inquisitor do about it? The chambers militant of the inquisition, the Sisters, the Stormtroopers and the Deathwatch, depend on support of other arms of the Imperium, and the Grey Knights are too few and too secretive to make up for the deficit in power.

If most of the institutions of the Imperium decided to give the finger to the Inquisition, there wouldn't be much they could do about it. Given ten millenia of decay, it'd make more sense for the other Adeptus to make their own internal policemen and disregard the Inquisition entirely. I imagine they'd be somewhat bitter towards the huge power the Inquisition wields.
>>
>>50119103
>The chambers militant of the inquisition

No longer exists as a concept, mind you.
>>
File: 1465009924142.png (9KB, 200x194px) Image search: [Google]
1465009924142.png
9KB, 200x194px
>>50119124
Oh fuck me, so my lore is outdated, again. Thanks for retconning everything to shit again, geedubs.
>>
>>50119063
I suppose, I just don't want to game the system if I'm going to make specialized characters or anything. I don't have that much experience with the systems to know what going too far is.
>>
>>50119103
Send a team of acolytes to kill the leaders. Or the imperial assassins.
Anyways, such a case would be a massive rebellion, and the Imperium does have civil wars sometimes.

>>50119124
Wonder why they got rid of it. Was having anyone controlling marines too much?
Ahd where do their funds come from now?
>>
Reply to this post with the last thing that made you regain Fate points in-game. No, not starting a new session.
>Be DW Devastator with best-quality bionic legs
>Space Wolf bro trapped in human-sized siege tank being swarmed by cultists
>do bionic jump onto top of tank and mow down entire horde with heavy bolter
>I and everybody who saw me regains 1 FP
>>
Are feral worlds with Max Max-esc technology levels possible?
>>
>>50119303
Sure
>>
I want to play dark heresy for the first time, which edition should i start with?
>>
>>50119330
2e
>>
>>50119303
Yup. Technobarbarians are a staple of 40k.
I'd classify a Mad Max setiing as a death world instead, because of the apocalypse and inhabitabilty, but to each its own.
>>
>>50119366
any particular reason?
>>
>>50119418
It is better than 1e in every way except for default fluff and equipment splats.
>>
>>50119402
Okay, I'll use that instead. Thanks.
>>
>>50119303
>Are feral worlds with Max Max-esc technology levels possible?
Short answer, no.
Long answer, a feral world is defined by its lack of any significant technology beyond the Iron Age at most. A world with cars and guns and the industrial production of ethanol fuel ("Guzzoline") is far beyond that technogical level and thus isn't a feral world.
Even longer answer: >>50119402 mentioned technobarbarians, who have access to advanced technology but don't actually increase in tech level, because they haven't the slightest idea how that tech actually works or how to properly leverage it, and may not even be able to maintain it. A tribe of copper-age warriors who stumble onto a shipping crate of lasguns and only know "pull trigger, zapzap, if no zapzap, change wand box and put old box in sun" are feral world technobarbarians, as are a tribe of cavemen who have somehow obtained an STC printout teaching them how to create modern gunpowder and who use it to scare animals and other tribes. Technically, the Imperium is a technobarbarian civilization, though you may get shot for pointing that out
>>
>>50119402
Frontier or Post-Cataclysm worlds aren't bad choices, depending on your source material.
>>
File: 1IZZ.jpg (256KB, 600x794px) Image search: [Google]
1IZZ.jpg
256KB, 600x794px
I just have to share

>Kill-Team sent to destroy iron warriors bunker
>Iron Warriors weren't there, but the bunker was a bomb
>Between several skirmishes, friendly fire, traps and wrestling with local heretics and mutants, they escape
>Some 3/4 are in crits, fatigued, elements of armour destroyed, low on ammo, extraction not available at this time
>Hold a council
>"What shall we do?"
>"Let's ditch our armour and sneak through the sewers into their main base" (a "fuck off"-tier fortress occupying about 1 sq km)
>"Yeah"
>"Yeah"
>>
>>50121155
>Iron Warriors weren't there
>the bunker was a bomb
Are any of them playing an Imperial Fist or IF successor?
>>
File: Jojo Smug Cat.png (503KB, 787x557px) Image search: [Google]
Jojo Smug Cat.png
503KB, 787x557px
>>50121193

But ALL Imperial Fists are Imperial Fists successors.
>>
>>50090763

It works better if they have human motivations, and not chaos memes.
>>
>>50121193
yes, one librarian vet. he is obviously not happy
>>
>>50121155
When did we agree no ditching the armour? I sure as fuck ain't doing that.
>>
Playing Dark Heresy 2e and no one in my group is really happy with how influence works when it comes to buying shit. We pretty much just roll influence on each item in our rather extensive shopping list and then rp out the encounter with a blank check. The problem is that this is rather unsatisfying and random. Are we doing this wrong? Any suggestions on how to improve this?
>>
>>50119303
Iocanthos
>>
>>50121884
My group just uses DH1 prices, and the DM has us do odd jobs between official Hereticus missions, loot bodies and sell off excess equipment to get money. If there's a piece of equipment that's not in a DH1 book, we homebrew a price for it.
>>
>>50121884
Limit number of acquisition checks to your Influence bonus per session, that's agood reresentation of how effective working with your own resources is.
Have each check take a proportional amount of time to the rarity of the item being acquired, and the location you're purchasing it in (might not have a table in DH 2e, try an earlier game).

Also remember that doing so causes your Subtlety to take hits, as you're splashing cahs to try and get some rare shit. People notice. Also remember that Subtlety is a resource to be spent.

It's also important to remember that when you make an Influence check with your own stat, you're relying ENTIRELY upon your own resources. If you're using Ordo resources and inlfuence, you're using your Inqusitior's influence stat (which will likely be 70+). Use that for the stuff you despreately want/need. THAT is when you're basically pulling our your I.D. and telling someone to hand over what they have in the name of the Immortal God-Emperor of mankind.
>>
>>50121884
I've never roleplayed out an item acquisition unless it's been relevant to the current job or unless we've made gettign the item a game objective.
>>
>>50122011
Not that guy, but I think I'll use your system. Limit it to influence, but they can use Inquisitorial powers to get the stuff they're desperate for. Heck, I might even make it a reward for mission completion. "Well done. Pick out a piece of gear from the lockers."
>>
>>50122215
That works nicely if they're working closely with their Inquisitor.
Also don't be afraid to punish them if they shoul fail or overstep their bounds.
They can complete their next mission sans one eye, and if they should succeed? There will be a fancy new robot one waiting for them when they get back.
>>
>>50122215
The 'limit to influence' is the only part that is homebrew at all. The part about using the inquisitor's influence is in the core book.
>>
>>50122011
I like the influence limit. Keep me from shopping for carapace armor, demo kits, autocannons, five different kinds of cybernetics, and grenades, with the sheer quantity of items ensuring that I get something.
We aren't using our inquistors authority, we just kind of assume that we have the money to buy whatever.
We would use our inquisitors, authority, especially since our subtlety is basically nonexistent as this point, but we are so far down the chain of command here that we are excited that we get to see our interrogator next section.
>>50122023
We enjoy it. Fun to see people's reaction to a techpriest and a krieger just buying out entire shelves of booze, or someone wondering why a blind woman is buying a motorcycle.
>>
>>50122265
What, you guys don't know about the subtly hit from getting anything Scarce or rarer?
>>
>>50122265
>so far down the chain of command here
Chains of Command in the Inquisition are nebulous.
There are Inquisitor Lords, Inquisitors, and whatever the fuck Inquisitors want to do from that point.

There's no "partly" using Inquistiorial authority, you're using it or not. So if it serves his ends, there's no reason not to burst our your photocopy of his Rosette.
>>
>>50119269
Sniped a heretical governor from his moving Vulture (while we were engaged in an air chase) through a crack in the armored fuselage, a helmeted guard, and a chair using exactly 1 bullet after exclaiming "Imperator Vult!"
>>
>>50119481
Yeah, the system gels way better, although i did enjoy the concept of the class/rank system in 1e. However for me using 2e in conjunction with Calixisis setting is way superior than Half-assedkellion secotr
>>
>Caladius Grav Tank
>Palladius Grav Speeder

PLAYABLE CUSTODES WHEN
>>
>>50124464
Never
>>
File: 1349117063953.jpg (207KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1349117063953.jpg
207KB, 1280x720px
>>50124464
>40K RPGs are cancelled, and will likely never be resurrected
>>
>>50124464

I think Shas already said he was working on it. He was just waiting to see the stats.

And since they came out today...
>>
>>50125882

That's all well and good, but it doesn't matter if Shas makes them. My GM won't touch anything not official so I'm shit out of luck.
>>
>>50125913
Get a new GM.
>>
Question: anyone want to buy an unused copy of Into the Storm?
>>
>>50127233
Kick his worthless ass to the curb.
>>
File: 1339786171983.png (80KB, 173x204px) Image search: [Google]
1339786171983.png
80KB, 173x204px
>Game has been running for a month
>The guy who didnt know shit during session 1 is just as ignorant in session 4
>Literally doesnt know what actions you can perform in combat
>Its a fucking online game with literal minutes in between turns and he expects someone to look shit up for him instead of actually checking himself in between turns
>When his turn comes he goes "well, do you have an answer for my question?" (what is the difference between a called shot and an aim action before a standard attack)
>Gets outraged when I give him the page number and tell him to check it himself
>Gets snarky when someone tells him what to do or a member of the group is exasparated at his actions
>Someon tells him that its been literally a month and there is no excuse for not having read through the crb at least a couple of times by now
>"B-but its 400 pages! No one has time for that!"
>Its painfully obvious that he hasnt even looked at a single page of it and goes on to say shit like "GM what does my mono knife do? and how does AP work?"
>Throws a tantrum when the group doesnt carry him in combat and God forbid leave him take care of himself for one round so they can actually help the ones taking the brunt of the enemy pressure
>"I-if you don't spoon feed me every single bit of information I'll leave!"
>"I-if my PC dies I'll leave!"
>"I bet playing d&d is easier, maybe I should leave this group to play that simpler game!"
>Group gets tired of his shit and tells him he can leave anytime he wants
>He does'nt leave
>MFW the next session will be just as shitty because he's in there
Jesus Christ fucking online players sometimes
>>
>>50127263
I'm lucky, my online group is pretty dope, if only because it's a circle of people I've known and gamed with for years.

these motherfuckers enrage me sometimes, and yet they're still the best fucking players I've ever met
>>
File: 1465647730080.gif (2MB, 500x262px) Image search: [Google]
1465647730080.gif
2MB, 500x262px
>GM DH2E
>Arbites burned his last fate last session and dies
>He rolls up a guardsman from a feral world
>Talks like Tom hanks from cloud atlas
>Never breaks character
While truly immersing, I doubt anything will ever be taken seriously in this game again.
>>
>>50127263
Then kick him out, problem solved
>>
>>50127263
next session have the rest gangrape his character then force him to drink piss.
>>
>>50117985
Well, I believe that Codex is way to present simplified fluff and you can work with it how you like. Good example is novel Legends of the Dark Millenium: Genestealer Cults. It looks like a parade of a new codex units on the cover, but it is written by Peter Fehervari, the current black horse of BL, so it is twisted, mature and stylisied. You can recognise the new units, as presented in codex, but it does not break the atmosphere, or story (some of them are only described, or use local names).

That is the greatest appeal of 40k imho and lot of people around the internet are loosing sight of it: it is a great, already created setting, with lot of place for your own creations. And if you do not want to create stuff bottom-up, there are many hints and unexplained terms, which you can use and tie them to the greater setting.

For example, currently I am fine-tuning the campaign for Dark Heresy based around Church of the Emperor Revenant, Black Alchymy, Dread Sarcossa, Thorians and scenarious from both Haarlock Legacy and Apostasy Gambit.
>>
It saddens me how hard it is to find a game. I may be reduced to GMing a one on one game for the girlfriend.
I would much rather play than DM, but nobody locally wants to do any wh40k, much less BC.
>>
Does anybody know what the heck "legacy weapons" in Black Crusade are?
>>
>>50127623
Check Tome of Blood
>>
>>50127623
Bullshit powerful non-Daemonic weapons found in Tome of Blood.
They're basically mechanics for "named" weapons, justified in that it's the Warp and your Infamy imbuing them with power.

You only use that weapon from now on, and it gets better.

It's pretty cool in some situations, and blatant powergaming in others.

Only upside, is that if you try and make a Best-Craftmanship Near-Unique item a Legacy wepaon... You've got almost no fucking hope in hell.
>>
>>50125850
Why did they cancel it anyway?
>>
>>50127665
So they are near impossible to get super weapons. Gotcha. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>50127745
No, they are any weapon that you already possess gaining powers of its own by virtue of the Warp making it so. It can be used two ways, either you have an already very good weapon that you make even better at the price of making rare weapons Legacy is a pretty hard infamy roll, or you make that subpar weapon that you really ought to be ditching at some point but just love too much into a Legacy weapon to keep it usable in the big leagues.
>>
>>50127678
FFG was bought by Asmodée, creating copyright issues with some licenses.

>>50127754
That's a nice idea
>>
>>50125850
They will. They must.

But WFRP will probably be first.
>>
>>50076284
Can somebody post Deathwatch rules ?
>>
>>50127985
Literally the first link in the OP.
>>
>>50128252
Yeah I found it on web But there are about 400 pages of rules. How much do I need to know word by word to be able to play ?
>>
>>50128267
All of them you fucking illiterate nigger.
>>
>>50128267
It's right there in the book
>>
>>50128267
open the book, give a look the character creation section, the armory, and the rules of the games chapter, and the background chapter. That's basically 1 third off the book only, unless yyou want to do a psyker, that bring an other chapter , of course..
>>
>>50128267
The bloody rules. Jesus christ, go play fucking Fate Accelerated.
>>
So, I want to create a rogue trader from a highly unlikely background. She comes from a cadet branch small but old and established family, and never had any expectation whatsoever that she would bear the Warrant of Trade... until her family's flagship was mysteriously blown up with all hands lost, while the RT had called most of the rest of the family aboard for a secret conference. As such, the cabal of business managers who ran much of the family trade organization immediately grabbed her, my PC, to be the new bearer of the Warrant, as it stipulates that the cabal will have to forfeit all of their assets to the Administratum if no trueborn scion of the family exists to hold the Warrant.

I want her character to be on the naive and unworldly side, with a passionately moralistic sense of justice, but also with a strong instinct for both command and combat that she grows into over time. So which background would be best for all this? I've considered "idle-ish scion of minor nobles" and "commissar cadet," but I'm not terribly happy with either.
>>
>>50128567
She was sent off in an Adepta. perhaps a Sororitas Dialogus or Famulus ? she entered he Ecclesiarchy as a a minor priest ?
>>
>>50128567
>highly unlikely background
That's like, the 2nd most common Rogue Trader background
>>
>>50128567
Also bonus points for being plot of Legacy by Matt Farrer. I do recommend RT to take False-Man backround for extra hillarity.
>>
>>50128567
On a similar note I noticed you can take the heretek advancement for a Rogue Trader, how'd you explain that?
>>
>>50128673
Well... it would be another way to possibly do that kinda-heterodox paladin-y Sister of Battle idea I had, and without pressure from above to keep reindoctrinating her.

>>50128695
Sorry, I meant unlikely in-universe, not unlikely in-game. Though I didn't know just how common it was.

>>50128708
That was a bit of an inspiration, I admit.
>>
can i get some optimization help for black crusade? my sorcerer just died and i decided in the begining that if (when) my sorc died my next dude was gonna be tech based space marine with as much survival as possible.

only core rulebook archetypes are allowed, equipment from the expansion books is allowed but only from chargen if you have a good reason for getting it rp-wise. otherwise you'd have to acquire it in session.
>>
How easy is it to convert NPCs and vehicles, from only war, rouge trader, and black crusade to 2nd ed Dark heresy, I need more variety in what my party fights rather than just the few variations in the core and splatbooks.
>>
>>50128753
Rules-wise, do check Radical´s Handbook, when I was toying with that idea I wanted to use Tainted Bloodline origin (no problem whatsoever to port to RT) and use the Transgenic blasphemy bionic, or how was it called.
>>
>>50128955
From what I understand (I usually narrated the vehicle sections, except the ships), the RT and DW vehicles had too high armour value. I cant remember the formula, but if you decrease it, they should be rather compatible.
>>
In Deathwatch what do most GM do with Characteristics. I mean do they role them like stated in rules or are there some predetermined points that most players use ?
>>
>>50129347
Do people not roll the standard way?
>>
>>50129376
Not as popular these days. Personally, I like the middle ground. Roll each time for a characteristic and then assign the value to the char you desire.
>>
>>50129160
>DW vehicles
>Too high armor
They're space marine vehicles, they should be tough.
>>
>>50128802
>Only core archtypes allowed
You're shit out of luck then since warpsmith is in Tomb of Decay.
>>
>>50129856
From what I heard (sorry, really never tried it myself), it is a problem of all vehicles statted, not only the SM ones, as they were scaled to the original, pre-errata DW weapons, or some such shit. When some of them were statted in later games, they had different armour values. I do not have the books at hand to check.
>>
>>50129830
Is that not the standard way? It doesn't say you must roll in order that I remember.
>>
>>50129886
On average, SM vehicles have about 5 more armor points than non-SM vehicles of the same classification.
>>
>>50129950
I really dont remember the exact wording there, but from the early days of my rpg experience, I remember the main argument against rolling was rather unplayable character, or always the same combos.

And fuck those "it is an interesting roleplaying experience" guys.
>>
>>50129865
well still what stuff should i get for survival

i have 100 point buy for characteristics plus 500 exp, 2 extra infamy and 2 extra corruption
>>
>>50129970

In order to make the Deathwatch vehicles sensible compared to vehicles in the other four systems, you need to reduce their armor on all sides by 5 to 7 points. It will bring them in line with tank-killing weapons.

6d10+10 Pen 10 against a Rhino's Armor 31 or a Land Raider's 50 is okay, but when the weapon got nerfed to 5d10+10, you have to bring the Rhino down to 24 and the Land Raider to 45 to compensate. Then suddenly it matches the other systems. It also seems to fit the vehicle port rules in The Fringe is Yours all of a sudden.
>>
>>50129160
>>50130364
Meh. The only things we ever went up against in vehicles were Tyranids, so I just added 10-15 points of pen depending on the size and type of Tyranid.
>>
>>50129160
on an unrelated topic, I really like when players try doing something creative with vehicles rather than shooting at them until they explode.

such as immobilising, trying to force open the harch, that kind of thing.
>>
>>50130960
I do not have my gif collection with me, but Mad Max Fury Road at the very least, is obligatory if you want to game vehicles.

Also, assasinating the traitor governor by ramming him with Gun Cutter happened in one of my games.
>>
>>50130960

So what happens when your players are fighting a dreadnought, and one says "I want to snipe the exposed head"? It invalidates the dreadnought unless you say the armor is the same, in which case the player feels cheated.

And what's to stop them from "leaping the hatch" every time if it is more efficient than just shooting it?
>>
>>50131064
Isn't the head just harder to hit?
>>
>>50130960
I destroyed a Hydra once by ramming it with a Hades Breaching Drill from underground.

That was a wild session of Only War.
>>
>>50128567
I'm asking this question again because I had a different idea: could a sanctioned psyker wind up in this scenario, being made a Rogue Trader?
>>
>>50131064
I wonder, does called shots against vehicles have any effect RAW? I would rule in favour of some effect, but I am really not well versed in vehicle rules.
>>
>>50131132
What do you mean? Why wouldn't shooting a specific part have an effect?
>>
>>50131108
Not really sure about the Sanctioned part. You should really embrace your tainted, decadent, corrupt, heretical, heretekal, xeno-gene tainted, dark pact signing, sorcerous, baby-eating side.
>>
>>50131169
But is it covered in rules/rule effects? I do not have the rulebook close by and I do not remember the vehicle rules, as I havent used them much.
>>
>>50131080

but the exposed flesh head does not have dread armor unless you fiat it, which just invalidates player agency.
>>
>>50131226

Only war has called shot vehicle crits. The other systems do not
>>
>>50131087
I have seen some tech-priests which need to be hit by that thing.
>>
>>50131251
Thank you, sounds like an interesting ruling, I port stuff from OW regulary, so why not this.
>>
>>50131211
Yeah, but I'd rather that come out during the course of play; I'd rather not have the Inquisition on my ass from the very beginning.
>>
>>50131303
Of course, but still, I would advise taking the False-Man from Into the Storm on your Origin Path.
>>
>>50090950
4e also had the best art.
>>
>>50131108
>could a sanctioned psyker wind up in this scenario, being made a Rogue Trader?
No. Sanctioned psykers forfeit all family ties and claims of inheritance and such right around the time they get loaded into the Black Ships.
>>
New thread:

>>50132452
>>50132452
>>50132452
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.