[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 247
Thread images: 31

File: heresy ghoultribedeal.jpg (161KB, 888x551px) Image search: [Google]
heresy ghoultribedeal.jpg
161KB, 888x551px
Spoopy Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

>Last threads
>>49899970
>>49946449
>>
What are some horror themed wargames? The only ones I can really think of are Malifaux dead hookers everywhere and maybe stuff like Sedition Wars or Deadzone with their body horror faction of infected.
The AvP game would technically qualify too I think.
>>
>>50051563
Empire of the Dead. 28mm steampunk horror
>>
File: rogue stars cover.jpg (167KB, 752x1013px) Image search: [Google]
rogue stars cover.jpg
167KB, 752x1013px
Last thread someone asked where to find the models on the North Star page.
The preorder/nickstarter is now up with pictures of all the models.
http://nstarmagazine.com/ROGUE_STARS.htm

Sadly the style of the artworks got lost in translation in the sculpts though, imo.
>>
>>50051767
Well, the sculptor is not my favourite, and their studio painter is...eeeeh, not my jazz. Red lower lips everywhere.

After my disappointment with Frostgrave, I'll wait for a pdf to see if I want to buy it.
>>
File: IMAG0683.jpg (688KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0683.jpg
688KB, 1344x760px
More tiny poland tanks.

Also Spartan needs to fix my CoA carriers before I kickstart more shit... especially stupid fuckhuge models that can't even deploy properly.
>>
>>50052273
These are tanks? What are they called?
>>
>>50052090
What disappointed you with Frostgrave?
>>
>>50052729
I wouldn't like to start the shitstorm of the previous thread again, really.
>>
>>50052756
Not like the thread is doing anything else
>>
Well, I pre-ordered Rogue Stars and some miniatures. Hopefully it'll be a fun game.
>>
>>50052699
Stevie, Howard and Jeff.
>>
>>50052951
those don't sound very polish to me
>>
>>50052964
Stevesky, Howardsky, Jeffsky.
>>
>>50052756
SHITSTORM SHITSTORM SHITSTORM!!!

give us your qualms with the game frostgrave
>>
>>50052814
>>50053033
No.

I play LotR SBG instead.
>>
>>50053052
That doesn't seem like its really going for the same type of game.
>>
>>50053090
Well, yeah, but at first I used my LotR minis for FG.
>>
Is frostgrave a good game or is that just a meme?
>>
>>50054619
A good meme.

It's good if you like if a game is centered around a single member of your warband, and if that one member is a wizard. Also, if you don't mind that your dudesmen are all the same.
>>
>>50054619
It's fairly biased towards ranged attacks and the game favors murdering enemies over doing anything else especially for your wizard and experience gain. Is that bad? Up to you; the game is supposed to be about looting treasure, but the mechanics don't incentivize it as much as they do just killing the other people. Or whatever

>>50054670
"the same"
As in everybody pools from the same pool? Because yeah that's true, but there are a bunch of different types in that pool (knights, thieves, infantrymen, rangers, etc)
>>
>>50054764
I think the complaint is that they don't level up/get injured/involve bookkeeping/etc. All thieves are thieves, all knights are knights, etc.
>>
>>50055073

Well that but also that they are fairly pointless in and of themselves.

Too much of what a unit does is based on how well you roll rather than how skilled they are. Yeah a Knight is Fight +5 and a Thug +1 or whatever but the rest is all from the D20 so it just boils down to rolling high and your actual skill level won't enter into it a lot of the time.

This would be less of an issue if the price difference between a thug and a knight weren't so massive but as it is buying high level troops is pretty pointless.
>>
>>50052988
*ski
>>
>>50055248
>as it is buying high level troops is pretty pointless.

If its five thugs versus a knight sure, five knights versus five thugs in a campaign is an entirely different story.

Also just play with 2D10, its a pretty simple fix.
>>
>>50055555
>If it's five thugs versus a knight sure, five knights versus five thugs in a campaign is an entirely different story.

No it isn't, that's exactly my point it's entirely possible the 5 thugs will just roll high and steamroll the knights, the whole extra 4 points of fight the knights paid 400 gold for doesn't count for shit.

And even if the thugs only killed 1 knight they've got their points back.

>Also just play with 2D10, it's a pretty simple fix.

I don't care how simple it is to fix an unfinished and poorly made game. The point is it's unfinished and poorly made.
>>
>>50055763
So you are arguing it shouldn't be possible for thugs to get lucky? That's silly.

You are being ridiculous, Frostgrave is a great game. All the complaints are either entirely subjective or easy to deal with.
>>
>>50056787
Like writing a complete experience system for henchmen, and somehow placing the objective into focus rather than the killing?

Shouldn't this be the job of those who write the system?
>>
File: IMG_2828.jpg (434KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2828.jpg
434KB, 1000x1333px
>>50051537

I got that ghoul king for my undead warband, together with some regular ghouls. He will take the part of a hero character (unfortunately with the pathetic dreg characteristics..... but still, Ill give him a 2 hander to match his miniature looks!).
>>
>>50056787
>"Game is simple, has one page of rules."
>"You can rewrite the rules with houserules if you don't like them

Why the fuck bother. It's poorly game designed, where stuff like cover or gale force defense winds don't do anything to prevent arrows from one-shotting you on like a 19 or 20.

Or how about a customizable gang based skirmish game only having rules to customize the leader? And not in loadout variety, but just a bunch of poorly thought out spells?

Classic Mordheim or This is Not a Test are both far superior games.
>>
>>50056787
It's not about thugs getting lucky. But the knights have at most a 10% qualitative advantage on the thugs, but cost 5x more. In a system that uses D20s, where the different in stats just changes the threshholds of success, not the margin of success.

This is why the fucking attack dogs are the best thing you could ever get for anything but objectives, the rest should be fast thieves sporting shitty bows for volume fire. And that's stupid and boring.

Your sidekick doesn't even get his own stats. Just yours -2. That's really dumb.
>>
>>50056787
Not wanting to agree with dickless here >>50055763 because I like playing and have tons of fun with the game, but the cost/usefulness of units is incredibly unbalanced, especially if you're playing on a campaign and you're spending money pimping out your HQ. Archers, thieves, thugs and dogs are disposable and cheap and will win you the game 9 out of 10 games, expensive units give the party a more fleshed out feel but you'll spend a lot of time not committing completely to an attack in fear of losing all your sheckles. Having said that if both players are running fleshed out warbands (as you should) it's a really cool game to play.

tl;dr
It's a flawed game but the flaws are easy to ignore if you're not playing against terrible players.
>>
Should malifaux general join here? The threads never last the night
>>
File: 1334605177258.gif (2MB, 383x207px) Image search: [Google]
1334605177258.gif
2MB, 383x207px
>>50056787

>Frostgrave is a great game

>>50057161
>>50057141

Finally people who aren't retarded.

>>50057321

Why waste your time playing a shit game with decent players when you could play a good game with decent players?

Yeah anything is fun with the right people but why bother? Why waste time jumping to the defence of something you admit is bad because it's fun with the right people? Do you have brain damage?
>>
>>50051767
60£ isn't that steep of a buy in to be honest, but I can get into any more games, that for sure
>>
File: 20081015.gif (25KB, 600x263px) Image search: [Google]
20081015.gif
25KB, 600x263px
>>50055248
>but the rest is all from the D20 so it just boils down to rolling high and your actual skill level won't enter into it a lot of the time.

I like Frostgrave, but this right here is one of my major my beefs. I'm fine with the wizard being the only one progressing and the wild imbalance of spells because the game is about a power-mad wizard, not the goons he goes to carry loot for him. But the math sucks.
The wide and flat distribution of probability and narrow range of modifiers makes luck a greater component in success than the model's starts. Pretty much anything d20-based has this problem. I gots to have those bell curves, son.
My other beef with Frostgrave is that the narrative of the game is about treasure-hunting, but the structure of the rules reward straight murdering the opposing team.

I think a great game should have a book that works well without the need for houseruling or gentleman's agreements. I think Frostgrave is cool and I have enjoyed playing it with my friends. I wouldn't call it a great game though, because it has several serious design problems at the heart of its ruleset.
>>
>>50059024
Yeah Infinity has the samme problem with it's d20 mechanics as cheap fodder guys are just as good as expensive elites.

Frostgrave looks like a good idea but poor execution
>>
>>50059024
>>50055248
Surely this is intentional, so that players that get ahead early aren't just going to snowball by buying better troops and giving the other players no chance to catch up?
You can invest in a small improvement, but there's always the chance a thug could kill your knight.
>>
>>50057321
>but the cost/usefulness of units is incredibly unbalanced, especially if you're playing on a campaign and you're spending money pimping out your HQ. Archers, thieves, thugs and dogs are disposable and cheap and will win you the game 9 out of 10 games, expensive units give the party a more fleshed out feel but you'll spend a lot of time not committing completely to an attack in fear of losing all your sheckles. Having said that if both players are running fleshed out warbands (as you should) it's a really cool game to play.

I haven't played frostgrave, but the same is basically true for Mordheim. There is always one asshole that just takes thousands of skaven slings.
>>
>>50059156
That's incorrect.

Infinity has units on their turn rolling multiple D20s to shoot enemies that have a single D20. This results in a pretty hard to gauge probability curve.

Likewise, the 'results' of the roll aren't tied to succeeding. The armor check is a different roll. Just because you hit on a 20 didn't mean you decapitated the enemy.

Combined with meaningful stat mods, the orders-activation economy and the 'price is right' dice system, Infinity's mechanically a LOT more effective than Frostgrave.
>>
>>50059292
>>50059167
The difference is although you can fuck up games like Mordheim with some setups, the campaign variety is interesting enough to let you have a fun time about it. As well as letting a multi player campaign crush 'outlier' players with everyone teaming up.

The rate you level up in Frostgrave is atrocious as well. It takes a half dozen games to get a measurable improvement, and just on your one guy.

I'd never get an experience like in Mordheim with that, where one guy's Dwarf sidekick got crippled twice for movement penalties, but kept ranking up toughness. He eventually became a wheelchair bound tank that slowly rolled forward and blasted people with an arsenal of musket pistols.
>>
>>50059167

The problem is that players who get an early lead will have better wizards and since wizards are the only thing that really matters things really start to snowball from that point on.

Making expensive troops not worth their points does nothing to rectify this it just makes them not worth buying when compared with buying cheaper troops and saving your money or buying more gear/spells for your wizard.

>>50059292

And if people took off their nostalgia goggles then they'd see that Mordheim isn't a very good game either.
>>
>>50059687
Mordheim isn't a great game. But it's worlds ahead of Frostgrave. Every gang you can build has a lot more character potential, which counts for a lot in a community based campaign game.

Frostgrave is just empty and cold. Like it's source material. Ultimately pointless, as it doesn't make you feel like a fun wizard. You'd be better off playing Pathfinder with miniatures.
>>
File: alessio cavotore blog.jpg (47KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
alessio cavotore blog.jpg
47KB, 640x960px
>>50059599
no no no the stats are pretty much meaningless since the dice roll is d20 so the range band on odds is so much wider.
Not only that but when you make a roll your opponent is allowed to make a roll for AROs
so it becomes whos dice rolls beats the other even with modifers it makes very little difference
>>
>>50059803

>so it becomes whos dice rolls beats the other

So... like basically nay game? Is your issue with games that use dice, head-to-head competing dice rolls, or are you just trolling?
>>
File: Filbert point.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Filbert point.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>>50059845
sorry i've not articulated that well.

There quite few reasons why i dislike infinity mostly the pople i know who play it.
I think i' just trying to find reasons to shit on it.

Model wise superb but the rules are just be lucky while covered in fuax complexity with worse balancing than 40K
>>
>>50059734

Agreed.
>>
>>50056876
>Like writing a complete experience system for henchmen,
>Shouldn't this be the job of those who write the system?
The experience system for henchmen is something Morheim had.
Frostgrave is not Mordheim.

The game was never supposed to have a system like that.

Just because you want that in there does not mean the game is unfinished.

I just can't wrap my head around why people get so riled up about FG.
It's not Mordheim 2.0 and if you are looking for that you have to look elsewhere.
>>
>>50058108
Yeah, why not.
>>
>>50062408
>The experience system for henchmen is something Morheim had.
And like a few dozen other games before and after Mordheim.

The only figure who can advance in the game is the wizard. That's my problem. Doesn't matter if your archer took out five guys in a game, he still has the same shitty stats.
>>
>>50063627
It's like you are complaining about not being allowed to touch the ball with your hands while playing soccer.
It's not a valid complaint that other games let you do it.

Just play one of those games and stop complaining about a non-issue.

That is genuinely autistic behauvior.
>>
>>50064347
Frostgrave is garbage though.

You fags recommended it and I checked it out only to thank god I hadn't spent money on it.

Their henchmen boxes are the only interesting thing they have and that's no even part of their game.
>>
>>50064347
>That is genuinely autistic behauvior.
Defending a game that's universally panned as "not THAT bad, but there are certainly better ones" is just as autistic while we're at it.
>>
so if Frostgrave isn't that great, what fantasy skirmish game would /awg/ recommend, assuming Mordheim isn't an option either
>>
>>50065224

Why isn't Mordheim an option? It's a genuinely good skirmish game.
>>
>>50065224
Savage Worlds Showdown, Rack and Ruin, Otherworld
>>
>>50065224
lord of the rings strategy battle game

I've heard good things about song of blades and heroes but haven't played it yet
>>
>>50065240
in this scenario, I'm wanting a game that's still in production/gets publisher support, which is one of the main appeals Frostgrave has

also Mordheim isn't exactly easy to find, either in physical or digital format, and I also would prefer a system that isn't as tied to it's setting as Mordheim is(one of the things I like about Frostgrave is that you can easily justify using almost any fantasy miniatures with it, while that's not as easy with Mordheim), or as reliant on as many books as it is either(since to my recollection a lot of the interesting stuff is spread across a bunch of different books)

>>50065255
it's been a long time but I vaguely remember not liking SWS too much, Rack & Ruin sounds interesting, but it's physical book only being available through the Drivethrustuff POD makes me wary(hate dealing with that company, they cost too much and take too damn long, not to mention have the worst Shipping rates in the universe), and Otherworld loses points both due to not having a PDF option(at least from a cursory google search), and being from a British company(which means I'd have to pay more than I'd be comfortable with)

>>50065263
>lord of the rings strategy battle game
nothing from Games Workshop please, also I remember that game being not very interesting from a mechanical standpoint, plus too tied to it's intended setting

>I've heard good things about song of blades and heroes but haven't played it yet
I have a couple of their games lying around in PDF format, and to my recollection I found their system really bland
>>
>>50065310
Well anon, let me help you with your problems:
Rack and Ruin:
https://mega.nz/#!TE9UDJpB!QE5JHlEOzGdt5yCsPSmwl_Vet7xHhEW60ZEy33kAx4o

Otherworld:
https://mega.nz/#!PVMgmQxK!Re6pYbapzxfkwN_aC1WXmFKIcx2RP4iAaWncXiW5RMU

Also, LotR SBG is so tied there was a Samurai army list in Wargames Illustrated and they made a Cowboy game with it. Also, eBob's Rebellion is based on it as well.
>>
>>50065329
thanks for the PDF's(I probably would have bought R&R's pdf, my grudge with DriveThruStuff is solely with their POD division)

>LotR SBG is so tied
huh?

>Also, eBob's Rebellion is based on it as well.
never heard of it, mind giving some info?
>>
>>50065349
http://www.mediafire.com/file/o17308c74xrzr87/Rebellion+%28Scottish+Wars+Skirmish%29.pdf

Medieval skirmish for fighting the Scottish War of Independence with Wallace, Robert Bruce and all the gang. Highlanders are straight up fantasy, but there are some nice figures, and the melee is a bit better written than SBG's.

I meant the game is not THAT tied to the setting - it's kinda easy to modify to your liking as others have done it.

And going back to >>50065310 for a while, Mordheim was available from GW as a free pdf for a while, not sure if it still is, but if you want, there's a drive with a shitton of Mordheim stuff. You don't really need any more support to it desu since it has so many extra shit added over the years it'll keep you entertained till they eventually release it again as it was rumored.
>>
>>50065377
>there's a drive with a shitton of Mordheim stuff
mind linking to it, my google-fu is off tonight as I can't seem to find it
>>
>>50065448
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=02B7C1D22EA7D959&id=2b7c1d22ea7d959!455&authkey=!AByFcnV1qMjZdzg
>>
>>50065457
man that site sucks to actually download anything from, at least in comparison with MEGA
>>
>>50062408
>I just can't wrap my head around why people get so riled up about FG.
>It's not Mordheim 2.0 and if you are looking for that you have to look elsewhere.
You really don't get it?
The reason people get pissed about it is that it was widely shilled as being Mordheim's equivalent of all the Blood Bowl knockoffs. Then it turned out that was a load of horseshit and now a bunch of aspie gamedefenders are mewling about how the game isn't Mordheim, GET USED TO IT, CURRENT YEAR.
>>
>>50065792
>The reason people get pissed about it is that it was widely shilled as being Mordheim's equivalent of all the Blood Bowl knockoffs.
That were a bunch of people talking about a game they hadn't read yet.

>>50065792
>Then it turned out that was a load of horseshit and now a bunch of aspie gamedefenders are mewling about how the game isn't Mordheim
That's because a bunch of aspie's don't understand, that if they want to play Mordheim they can just play fucking Mordheim.

You are free to not like a thing, but please just shut up about it already. Every thread devolves into some people chimping out and flinging shit for no apparent reason.
It makes it impossible for anybody to discuss the game, if there is a horde of idiots that just spam the thread with 'it's bad, cause I didn't like it' when most of the complaints they have about the game have been discussed to death and already resolved.

Literally anybody able to rub two braincells together will be able to find the solution to the most common issues people have with the game within two seconds via a simple google search.

This isn't the Frostgrave general. It's the /awg/, which means stuff has to be able to coexist here. Nobody else is going on and on about why game X is shit in here.
Just grow the fuck up and ignore it, if you have a problem with the game so at least the others can have a discussion.
>>
>>50058338
>a good game with decent players?
And you mean..?
>>
>>50066188
>Every thread devolves into some people chimping out and flinging shit for no apparent reason.

The reason is that someone will come into the thread asking what people think of Frostgrave. Someone will say they don't like it because it's poorly balanced, poorly designed, and generally just a bad game. Then the FIDF will roll up and post something along the lines of:

>Literally anybody able to rub two braincells together will be able to find the solution to the most common issues people have with the game within two seconds via a simple google search.

OR

>a bunch of aspie's don't understand, that if they want to play Mordheim they can just play fucking Mordheim.

Not liking having their opinion misrepresented and dismissed the shitposting will start.

You literally bring it on yourself every thread because you can't accept that people don't like your oh so precious Frostgrave. You say it's OK to not like a thing but clearly it isn't if not a single post about how someone doesn't like Frostgrave can't go unchallenged.

Follow your own advice and ignore it.
>>
>>50066623
He said in his own post that the real issue is that people were hyped about it before it released because of the superficial similarities to Mordheim.
The game was never marketed by Osprey, nor did McCollough ever do anything to promote that idea.

Therefore the 'criticisms' like an absence of a progression system for other members of the warband are not really a criticism of the game, but an issue with a skewed expectation of what the game was gonna be.
Those expectations were disappointed and I'm sympathetic to that, but the behavior displayed here is just idiotic.

It's hardly the game's fault that people imagined it something to be it never set out to be in the first place.
>>
>>50066705

This is exactly what I mean, the argument has been reduced to "People only don't like it because their expectations were wrong, it's not the games fault!"

Which completely ignores that a lot of people don't like the game because it's poorly balanced and has dodgy game design.

Is that their fault to for expecting a balanced game? Of course not that'd be ridiculous.
>>
>>50066705

To be fair it is sold on being a campaign game. Most people would expect unit advancement in a campaign game as a given regardless of any comparisons to Mordheim.
>>
Does anybody have the Warpath Mass Battles "final proof" that was linked on their kickstarter back in mid october?
>>
>>50066808
It has that. For the Wizard. And you can customize him with an insane amount of different spells.

All in all the game mixes rpg elements (wizard, d20s and the D&D bestiary) with wargaming (the warband, the objectives, scenarios).

That is a pretty original approach the whole thing.

>>50066775
>poorly balanced and has dodgy game design.
the issue with stuff like this that a blanket statement is void of any useful information.
And a lot of people don't understand that this is very much a campaign game in the sense that for example the stronger fighters are more expensive, not because the price reflects their combat effectiveness, but because over the course of a campaign you amass excess gold. If you have enough you can spend it on a Knight or what have you. If you start a warband and only buy the expensive units you made a mistake that is gonna cost you.
So how can you take criticism seriously from people that have obviously not understood the rules of the game?

That is really a common problem. People also often complain about the ranged combat being overpowered. The game repeats ad nauseum that you need a lot of scenery, some scenarios specifically require 3 story buildings, yet people play on a table with only a handful of walls and then complain that the rules are at fault.

Other things like the way XP distribution favors combat oriented Wizards are fair complaints, but easily fixed. Just don't reward extra xp for kills.
If your games devolve into slugfests because your players try to kill each instead of going for treasure, just play a predetermined number of turns, six is the most common suggestion for that situation.
Again though, this is caused by players ignoring the primary objective of the given scenario. Could the rules somehow incentivize treasure hunting more during play instead of after the session? Maybe. Though in a campaign setting where people are dependent on treasure they have more than enough reason to go after the treasure first.
>>
>>50067917
>And you can customize him with an insane amount of different spells.
You can get one per level, OR improve casting number OR improve stat. Your wizard will either know a lot of spells but can't cast them due to target numbers being high due to spels coming from opposing schools of magic, or he'll spam Bone Darts on a 2+, or he'll have some...not high enough stats to be considered safe on the battlefield still.

Since when a wizard is an RPG element? Or the d20? Is Infinity a game with RPG elements? Is Warzone a game with RPG elements? Random encounters...okay, you got that one. And if by "original", you mean a castrated version of any other game that features a campaign and an advance system for all of your figures, then yeh.

Ranged combat is overpowered even if you shoot the enemy from 4" away. Can he beat you from a defending point? No. If he dies, he can't charge you back, and even then you have the chance to at least survive, and in case you activate first, you can run away. To build a battlefield for the sole purpose of nerfing archers is kinda shows what the problem is. Some skirmish games solve this by decreasing the range of shooty weapons, which could work as with mass battle games, volley fire is more effective.

>Just don't reward extra xp for kills
Erm....ok. Bullshit. That won't fix it.

Aso, why are these aren't in the rulebook? Why do players have to solve problems like the slugfest? If there ain't nobody to take your treasure, then you can take all of them, simple as that. Also, if you focus solely on the objective, and either go only for the safe treasure, or take more risky moves get shot to shit, and with the former you could just play it solo as it'd have little to no player interaction.
>>
Speaking of Mordheim, has anyone here tried out The Star-Struck City? Its that ruleset using KoW.

https://ironwatch.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/the-star-struck-city-deluxe-edition/
>>
>>50067917

Originality doesn't mean shit if it's badly implemented.

>So how can you take criticism seriously from people that have obviously not understood the rules of the game?

Again condescending bollocks. And your point doesn't even make sense, the more expensive troops exist not because they're better but because you need something to spend your excess cash on? What the fuck, are you actually retarded? How is that in any way acceptable game design?

Whatever mate, you win the game is perfect and everyone is just playing it wrong and you're really smart and cool for enjoying it.
>>
This frostgrave convo reads like "DnD 3.pf isn't broken, you can just fix it!"
It's also pretty amusing to me that the game being discussed is also dealing with wizards vs martials.

>>50068069
I haven't played it, but it's based on the KoW ruleset which is solid enough IMO. Of course at this scale it's basically just rolling 1d6 >= your model's Melee/Ranged stat and then beating the other dudes Defense stat. Toughness/Nerve (1d6+wound suffered versus your toughness stat to see if still alive) is cool.

I haven't really looked at it much to determine lethality or balance (skaven can't wreck with slings, at least) which are fairly important to me. All I can quickly tell is that on average a unit (using humans with their 5/6 toughness) can be rendered dead after a single wound (33% chance), and then +16% per further wound - of course a Stunned result (generally 16% more likely) can also happen and means your man is in for a bad time.

I really dislike how they kept KoWs phasing system. IGOUGO "whole side activates" with strict move->shoot->melee phasing already irritates me in rank and file wargames, and it just feels extremely dumb and stiff at the man-sized level. I mean you can "easily" just make it a more alternating-activation freer-phase setup, but god knows what effect that has on balance and design implications.
>>
>>50066808
It was sold on being a campaign game, and also not having advancement for anyone but the wizard. They were pretty clear on that, but the second- and third-generation hypeposters tended to miss that because they were reading hype about hype, and not looking at what the author was pretty clearly saying.

I still like it for what it does. I'm fine with not having full advancement for everyone, and also fine with "upgrading" a thug to a knight or whatever.
>>
>>50068235
>they're better but because you need something to spend your excess cash on? What the fuck, are you actually retarded? How is that in any way acceptable game design?
The gold is not equivalent to points costs in other games cause you are not listbuilding.

It's a campaign game. So yeah, that is the way it's intended.

As I said, a lot of people apparently have a problem to understand that approach to wargaming for whatever reason.
>>
>>50068330

So we're agreed you're retarded and the game is poorly designed.

Great, discussion over.
>>
>>50068362
If it makes you feel better sure.
You can ask McCollough yourself in the FAQ thread on lead adventure.
You don't have to take my word for it, just read what the author himself said on the matter.

Anyway, for somebody calling me condescending you are pretty quick to call other people names.

But as I said if you approach this like a GW game, expecting points costs and such you're just gonna have to deal with the fact that other people write games that work differently.
>>
>>50068502

I don't care what the guy who made it has to say or how he justifies his piss poor game design and non existent balance as just being a feature of his game and it working as intended.

Something can work as intended and still be shit all that proves is that the person who made it is an idiot and that the people who lap it up are even bigger idiots.
>>
>>50068672
"A good salesmen can sell a bug as a feature."
>>
>>50068748
modern video game development onto the tabletop then.
>>
Everything is a skirmish game nowadays and most are shite help me
>>
>>50068972
How?
>>
>>50068972
What are you searching for m8? RIght now we are in a golden age of fantasy skirmishing, you can find any kind of them. But for mass battles is different, Lion Rampant, Old-Hammer/ 9th age or Kings of War.
>>
>>50068972
Get into horse & musket, build some ridiculous old-school regiments with 48 soldiers and 5 officers and march them around in formation using The War Game by Grant.

Or go for a saner scaling, but still horse & musket. Marlburian's my preference, not Napoleonic, but you get some really nice stately battalions going on. Classic wargaming period for a reason, it is.

And no, you don't need thousands of 28mm figures on a 12' table to do it justice and have a great game.
>>
>>50059734
Would simplified pathfinder (or another existing rpg system) allow for a good progressive skirmish game? Instead of buying pre-built mooks, you would essentially build an adventuring party with a set amount of experience and gold to spend equipping them.
>>
>>50069239
(you could also do imaginations, which is where you make up fake countries and armies and shit, or go full flintloque and have elves and dog-people and orcs)
>>
>>50069240
hahahahahahahahaha no.

You'd have to basically build an entirely new game using nothing but the core D20 mechanic to get a sane balanced playable game out of Pathfinder. Soz.
>>
>>50069240
You could use a skirmish game made for that. Like Mordheim, Frostgrave or Song of blades and heroes. SoBaH is very simple too.
>>
>>50069240
Yes, they can...probably. A lot of games (EG, pathfinder) would be awful at this because balance would be atrocious and they're built to generally be cooperative and longer-running so may have weird mechanics/interactions, but I bet some will work alright enough? You'll likely end up ripping out most of every system though, unless the system is literally just combat elements to begin with.

Hell, Savage Worlds Showdown is basically the Savage Worlds RPG but they ripped out all of the RPG elements and added a point system. It's not like it'd be hard to just put the RPG elements back in to it.

I'd use a skirmish wargame with campaign rules, though like Wyrdwarz/Mordheim/Star Struck City, Frostgrave, Song of Blades and Heroes, This is Not a Test, etc.
They're built for this.
>>
>>50069240
>it's a 3aboo attempts to avoid learning another game clip show episode
>>
Anyone here play KoW? Looking to start up a Dwarf force using the mom miniatures ones.
>>
>>50070937
Some of us here play it, aye.
A player just went to an tournament with some ogres the other day.
>>
>>50070930
To be fair to him, learning new systems is a pain
>>
>>50071015
How did he do? Or did he not say?
>>
>>50071111
>>50046010
>>
>>50068672
Frostgrave's a great game for playing Irresponsible Wizards who have warbands as basically expendable equipment. Which fits into the theme of the game immensely. I've yet to find a game that captures that feeling so well.
>>
>>50071805
You could play this in any game desu.
>>
>>50071805

>No you don't get it! 90% of your warband is shit on purpose because of theme!

Retarded.

Besides it's not just soldiers that are them problem, the wizard schools and spells themselves are shockingly imbalanced.

Witches are better at summoning than Summoners.

Defend that.
>>
>>50071168
thanks.

I haven't played much of the game. How do you like it and what advantages does it seem to have over 9th age?
>>
>>50071995
Much less fuckery about list building ("But if I include another heavy armored infantryman I need to get one out of this squad, or if I replace all handguns with crossbows, I can get two more for this unit..."), quicker gameplay, no separate figure removal (can be a drawback too for some people), heroes are not unstoppable killing machines most of the time.

Maybe some more too.
>>
>>50071876
Play something else and stop spamming thread after thread with your rants.
>>
>>50071995
Ooph, reviews are hard.
I haven't played it a great deal myself (and I'm not the tournament guy), so I don't necessarily offer a hugely informed opinion.

Over 9th Age? I particularly like the much MUCH faster combat resolution. Yes, this means abstracting some stuff out - you don't count exactly how many models are touching, or exactly how many are remaining, or fiddle with how wide your rank is but IMO none of that stuff is very beneficial (or at least not beneficial enough)l to how the game plays or necessarily huge benefits to in-game tactics. Instead you get huge attacks hurled at another unit and solved quite quickly as there's no need to count things or reference a couple charts to see what you're rolling against for to-hit and to-wound.

Magic is also much simpler and consolidated into the Shoot phase, which I vastly appreciate. I'd like a few more spells (6 is fairly meh), but what can you do. There's also no randomness to the magic (any more so than normal shooting, that is) and it's relatively low powered which I adore. 9th age toned magic down, but it's still a clusterfuck of several random dice rolls and powers that swing the game a shitton, which is lame.

List building focuses on important chunks, not +-1 man, so decisions are big ones.

Heroes are toned down. They can be important but don't generally obliterate units or heavily distort the game, which puts focus back on the lines of soldiers you have, which is what I'm about in Rank&File wargames.
>>
>>50072100

Stop trying to force feed me bullshit and I'll stop throwing it back at you.
>>
>>50070937
>Mom miniatures.
Good election mate.
>>
>>50072048
>>50072177
I do know that it's a faster game simply by watching people play regular matches. That's a huge plus for a guy who wants to get a simple match in. I know 9th is more in depth and diverse choice wise, but I'd like to finish a given game before our sun goes supernova. Hell 40k is technically faster and that's still a several hour affair.

I also like the way unit destruction happens in KoW.

>>50074093
Don't follow the comment sadly. I know that some of their paint jobs/sculpts look like the man threw play-do together, but most of the Dwarf model designs are pure sex. The shield wall and cannon models in particular are great. Gonna pick up a golem too to run as a greater earth elemental
>>
>>50069411
>Wyrdwarz
Never heard of that one
>>
>>50074786
> I do know that it's a faster game

In fact, it works quite nicely with a chess clock. I think several tournaments make use of them to keep things moving.
>>
>>50076199
It's just more Mordheim (but better balanced), and is free online @ wyrdwars.com
It hews much closer to actual Warhammer/Mordheim rules than Star Struck City, so you'll see WS vs WS and Strength vs Toughness and all of that stuff.
I suppose it's like Mordheim's "9th Age" if such comparisons are ok.

oh, and it's actually "Wyrdwars", I just wrote it with a z.
>>
If in a dungeon crawling style game that let's you build your own aliens for your troops, what kind of traits would people like to see?
>>
>>50078225
dunno, just go nuts.

Maybe include some traits so you can represent the usual suspects(xenomorph, predator, e.t. etc)
>>
Anyone here play Wolsung? Looks pretty cool. I know nothing about the rules, but the models look sweet.

Also the pound is nearly 1:1 with the U.S. Dollar and it is insanely tempting to buy some World of Twilight moddls. Yet still I have a hard time throwing $60+ at more models.
>>
>>50078686
I know Beasts of War have been promoting Wolsung pretty well in the last few months. But that's all I know of it.
>>
Calling the KoW lore nerds.
Anyone knows where League of Rhordia is located in the map? Also what does the The Children of the Fall is about? Also is there a list of Gods?
>>
>>50079495
Sadly there ain't much fluff for KoW yet.
>>
File: 2016-11-03 09.18.28.jpg (183KB, 486x548px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-03 09.18.28.jpg
183KB, 486x548px
Heavy Gear anon here

Robots with riot shields are my aesthetic

I have also just read the rules for the shield Hunter with the Melee Specialist veteran talent

FIVE DICE OF PEN8 AP3 IN MELEE

Finally my dream of having the melee murderball comes true, give them smoke launchers and zoom from cover to cover at full speed before Shining Finger-ing enemies.
>>
>>50080937
>PEN8 AP3
Wat
Does Heavy Gear have both penetration and AP stats

Or is "pen" like a generic "Strength" stat and then there's AP

Seems like odd naming
>>
>>50081925
PEN is Strength, which is a little unintuitive at first.

AP is a special trait some weapons have that's a flat penalty to enemy armour.

Traits include AP, Area of Effect, Split fire, etc.
>>
>>50082006
For reference a unit usually has 6-9 Armour so AP3 really hurts. Damage is calculated as Weapon PEN + Successes Rolled - Target Armour
>>
File: starsaga3.jpg (234KB, 639x852px) Image search: [Google]
starsaga3.jpg
234KB, 639x852px
So Mantic brought out some preview models for Star Saga.

I'm digging these guys. They look like 80's sci-fi henchmen.
>>
>>50082116
These look quite nice actually.

Is this a multi part sprue or is it single cast minis?
>>
>>50080937
>Shining Finger-ing enemies

L-lewd
>>
>>50082116
Reminds me to those 2000 comics desu.
>>
File: IMAG0761.jpg (745KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0761.jpg
745KB, 1344x760px
>searching for pics of the Grunwald/Kursk land dreadnought for painting reference
>stumble across an archived thread from 2013
>excitement, positivity, "Spartan ADHD" laughed off as a joke
>...

Where did it all go so wrong, /tg/? How could Spartan screw up that badly?
>>
>>50082209
how can you resist this man

https://youtu.be/KXOCzB35kFY
>>
File: IMG_20161104_241039570.jpg (1MB, 2737x1490px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161104_241039570.jpg
1MB, 2737x1490px
>>50082231
Let's hope they take the survey results to heart.

Do you know about the impending Dystopian Wars kickstarter, featuring a 255mm long model?

Also, here is a dreadnought I've just painted.
>>
>>50082342
Massive centrepiece models are a terrible idea in DW. Either everything sees and shoots them, or their stats are so high nothing can hurt them.
>>
>>50082368

Are you referring to Dreadnoughts and such, or to the proposed behemoth?
>>
>>50082383
The almost 1' super dreadnought thing.

Regular dreadnoughts sort of work but any bigger and you would be what, DR10 CR15 or so? With so much AA and CC you might as well not use rockets and torps.
>>
File: IMAG0CAT.jpg (647KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0CAT.jpg
647KB, 1344x760px
>>50082342
I hope so too, anon. I just hope I won't have to kickstart shit to get new stuff. Of all the companies out there, Spartan is at the bottom of the list when it comes to expecting them to deliver on time.

I saw the supercarrier, and I'm torn between
>sweet, Habbakuk!"
and
>Fucking stupid huge shit that's totally unplayable in a normal game, really?
like >>50082368 says.

>That DN
White on the prow could use some cleaning up and you didn't file your waterline, but otherwise pretty good.

>>50082383
Normal DNs are fine in games bigger than 1k, and in 1k are generally okay but make the game about them, so are often frowned upon.

The superdreadnought models like the dreadbots and this proposed supercarrier up that threshold to 1.5k, which is the sort of game you need dedication and a long evening to play.
>>
>>50082368
>Massive centrepiece models are a terrible idea in DW
They are a terrible idea in basically every game. That's why I like skirmishing or historicals more.
>>
Anyone have a PDF of Beyond the Gates of Antares and the expansion? Xilos or whatever it's called.
>>
>>50083327
I'll second this call, optimistically hoping, that one might be in the wild yet
>>
>>50082368
>>50083326
Massive centerpieces aren't inherently bad. It's just bad when they game focuses around them and they are forced into smaller point battles (see 40k). They actually add a lot of flavor if implemented right. Also they are perfect to be released during a KS imo.
>>
File: Spartan-Airship.jpg (302KB, 2200x1385px) Image search: [Google]
Spartan-Airship.jpg
302KB, 2200x1385px
On the plus side, the KS announcement coincided with Spartan changing their website background image, so there's finally a good resolution Prussian airship painting floating around.
>>
>>50080937
Shield Hunter? I don't see that as an option.

Unless you are taking a regular Hunter and buying it a shield.
>>
>>50084324
XMG Hunter, sorry.

I have altered the shoulder to have the reactive armour and given it a MAC and shield. I know the rocket pack is wrong, I have since changed it.
>>
>>50084376
Ah, okay. I was like "did they update the unit lists?"
>>
>>50084871
I was just trying to get the most out of my mountain of KS sprues with conversions, and a new shoulder pad, Jaguar MRP and a riot shield is a relatively easy mod.
>>
>>50080937
>Robots with riot shields are my aesthetic
Gunpla was made for you, just saying. Well, some gunpla. Hi-Mock would be the best robot kit ever produced if it came with a shield...
>>
>>50084965
I have a whole cabinet of gundams
>>
>>50084907
I get that. I jave a metal XMG from Arena, but I'm basically going to build just enough North stuff to do some demos and then probably never build the rest.

I do need to get me some MP gears for my South forces, though.
>>
i think you guys could help me out. i like skirmish wargames. i already play infinity, frostgrave, batman miniature game and marvel miniature game. are there any other skirmisher games? also, i don't want to get into mord
>>
>>50092495
Bushido for Japanese style with Samurai and snake people and shit.

Freebooter's Fate for fantasy pirate diceless system.

World of Twilight for non-stereotypical fantasy fun times with dinosaur people.

Counterblast for old school bubble helmets and raygun sci-fi.

Then there are games that straddle the line between skirmish and army games.
>>
>>50051537
Any good systems out there for a conquistador themed game? Basically any skirmish or proper wargame that has a good balance between ranged and melee focused armies that could be easily reskinned is what I'm after.
>>
So there any of these what have figures that sell for cheap? I'll be honest i probably wont get into any of them, but if the price is right i may but into them to take their bits for kitbashing.
>>
>>50094502
Most stuff on /awg/ is a bit more expensive because of the niche nature of it. Also a lot of them are metal models.
>>
>>50094451
Irregular Wars is pretty sweet.
>>
>>50094724
Nice! This looks to be exactly what I'm after. Cheers anon.
>>
Does anyone know where I can order miniatures that look like the Doomguy or UAC Marines?
>>
>>50095730
From the last thread:

>>50041617
>>
>>50095730
Like the ones from last thread? Maelstrom's Edge figures and Pig Iron heads.
>>
>>50092495
Malifaux, DeepWars and ShadowSea.
If you are open to historicals you can check out Five Men in Normandy in /hwg/. There are different versions of that game, gang wars, sci-fi etc all running on the FiveCore engine.

There are some other small games like Sulphur from Terra Gnosis, Eden formly by Taban Miniatures, Punkkocalypse and This is not a Test that take place in a Fallout style post-apocalyptic world.

Dark Age is a game that always had great art (Gerald Brom) and miniatures. In never played it, but heard good things about the rules. The lone mini I have is also great.

Northstar is gonna release Rogue Stars soon. From what I gather it's a game where you use between 4-6 miniatures per side and you basically build your own characters/aliens from a catalog of available traits and equipment.

Arena Rex is a game that uses 32mm resin minis I think. Up to three minis per side. Gladiatorial combat.

There is also the old Arena Deathmatch game by Avatars of War.
>>
>>50095730
If you check out the Dwarftist's blog he converted something with GW Space Marine scouts and Pig Iron heads.

There is a thread on Lead Adventure where somebody made a big project out of that.
>>
>>50091244
I am doing the same with my South, I built 3 squads and that was that.

My North I have gone all in on, names for every unit and pilot and army fluff. The XMG squad are cocky specops assholes showing off their superior units in my background...
>>
>>50095837
Northstar actually make the official figures for the Osprey Books skirmish range of games.

The Skirmish rules are actually really nicely put together, and it helps that the photos have painted official figures that Northstar produce.

Books are really well priced and 8-10 figures per side. So cheap to get into 2'x2' 3'x3' and 4'x4' tables, so you can get into a fair few of their games cheaply
>>
File: Recce Armiger.png (151KB, 300x367px) Image search: [Google]
Recce Armiger.png
151KB, 300x367px
According to the DP9 Facebook group there's going to be a second Heavy Gear kickstarter next year for the remaining factions, and they're negotiating with European distributors that aren't Wayland, primarily for the plastic kits.

I am SO FUCKING HYPE for Utopia units, they're like some 90s arcade game shit.
>>
File: dfg.jpg (293KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dfg.jpg
293KB, 1000x1000px
Anybody play the latest Deadzone? 2e, I believe.
I set up a 100pt 1v1 and tested it versus myself (on...Roll20, where I play most of my games) and it was crazy boring - I actually just quit halfway through which I don't normally do.

But I'm wondering if anybody has any other opinions on it, because i'm not sure why I found it so boring - it just didn't engage me in the slightest. I set up a board like they have on their page 4, so I don't think the terrain was too shit. I'm fine with core rolling mechanic (a d8 versus the attacker's shoot/fight stat, then a d8 versus the defenders Save) so I don't think that was it.

Maybe I was just annoyed at needing special dice or its item tokens and that needed extra work for Roll20.

Any play experiences to share?
>>
>>50099308
I played a demo game so far and it wasn't that bad. I liked it.
>>
>>50095730
You can also check out the CCC for MERCS. I painted mine with green armor and they came out very doomguy.

>>50097875
I don't know if we'll get plastic Utopia. I was under the impression it would be for Peace River and NuCoal. I won't complain if Utopia gets tossed into the mix, though.
>>
>>50099660
>I don't know if we'll get plastic Utopia. I was under the impression it would be for Peace River and NuCoal. I won't complain if Utopia gets tossed into the mix, though

That's slightly less hype. But then again the first KS had CEF/Caprica to take it to 4 factions.
>>
>>50099954
True, so they may be in there.

I'm hyped for plastic PRDF, but Utopia is pretty cool too.
>>
>>50099995
At the same time I kinda want to see more of the North and South stuff in plastic.

Is there any pilot-level fluff about? I kinda want to write battle reports and backstories and the rulebook is much more focused on geopolitics than daily life.

If not I will just rewatch Dragonar, Votoms and Gundam and have everyone with massive 80s hair, neon everywhere and bizarre names.
>>
>>50100035
There's a novella out there about a Southern spec ops team. You can also check out the RPG books for more stuff.
>>
>>50100452
Cheers, that's exactly the sort of stuff I need.
>>
>>50100510
My pleasure, man.

I would love some proper Heavy Gear novels. In fact once I finish the series I'm working on, or maybe once the first book is all published, I plan to start e-mailing companies about maybe writing books for some gaming worlds.
>>
File: ogre-2.jpg (219KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ogre-2.jpg
219KB, 800x600px
>>50083326

I disagree. Depends on the rules and on the set-up. I did some great games aping the "Ogre" concept.
>>
>>50101211
That Ogre is waaaaay out of scale, though. Ogres are surprisingly small in canon!

ogre is a brilliant game though
>>
>>50097875
>>50099660
>>50099954
This was included in the box with my Kickstarter shipment, just saying.
>>
>>50101241
And the reverse.
>>
>>50101282
Ah, well then! I didn't get that in my box, but good to know!
>>
File: 2016-11-04 18.22.34.jpg (167KB, 485x480px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-04 18.22.34.jpg
167KB, 485x480px
>Kamille's a girl's name... but that kid looks like a guy!
>>
>>50083326
>>50101211
>>50101224

So, fine if you have a fun scenario built around them, which the DW bots didn't.

Relatedly, how does this idea sound- get a bunch of cogfops together and say I'll GM steampunk game for them... then spring DW's brass-WWI on them?
>>
>>50051537
Hi, I'm looking for 10mm or 6mm wargaming with fantasy historicals and ancients. No rules light systems and no endless resolution tables of doom please.

Does anything like that exist?
>>
>>50101719
is that a real mini? where can i get it?
>>
>>50101806
Warmaster was a pretty good ruleset back in the day.
>>
File: DWRC50-2.jpg (375KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
DWRC50-2.jpg
375KB, 900x600px
>>50101828
It's the Russian Coalition Svarog Dreadnought-Robot from Dystopian Wars. It's available from Spartan's website, but costs about £50. You could probably get it cheaper from anywhere else that stocks it, if you can find them.
>>
File: MP Cadre.jpg (272KB, 800x324px) Image search: [Google]
MP Cadre.jpg
272KB, 800x324px
>>50080937
I assume you're talking about making it a duelist?

The South MP Cadre might pull this off even better. Every model has Shield: 2 and you get Iguanas, Black Mambas, and Cobras with them
>>
>>50101893
>£50

How big is it though?
>>
File: Windsor2.jpg (100KB, 952x714px) Image search: [Google]
Windsor2.jpg
100KB, 952x714px
>>50101828
>>50101893
I tell a lie, It's £45. But the postage will bring it up to at least £50 anyway. Might be worth it if you're in the colonies and if shipping across the pond is reasonable.

Also here's a picture of the British dreadnought-robot next to an old Epic titan for scale.
>>
>>50101936
Thanks.
Maybe i can find it a little bit cheaper somewhere
>>
>>50101936
that thing on the left looks like the Doge's throne from Rise of Legends
>>
File: IMAG0275.jpg (678KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0275.jpg
678KB, 1344x760px
>>50101952
Just checked- Firestorm Games has it for £40 and the Britannian one for £36, and hits their free shipping threshold.

>>50101955
A few things in DW look like things from Rise of Legends (Pic related, and the CoA Colossus robots)
>>
>>50092495
black scorpion games sell a pretty great range of pirates and have a skirmisher that goes with it.
It was written by Gav Thorpe, never read a review or played it myself though.

Wild West Exodus is a skirmisher as well. Uses d10 and has some funky stuff like taking hostages in it's rules.
>>
>>50103720
Cutlass had a lot of potential, but it does a few things that just irk the fuck out of me. Also they needed to release more stuff to get people excited. New units and shit.

I'm excited for Tombstone, just so long as they don't make it a clone of Cutlass.
>>
>>50104963
What are some of those things?
>>
>>50104997
Everyone has the same movement speed(except Elves who are 1 inch faster) which is always lazy. A Dwarf will be slower than a normal human, an undead will usually be a bit slower, but Goblins are just as fast as Orcs and Humans.

Also random run distances. That shit drives me crazy. Just make running x2 the normal run walk speed, not this "roll a die and have it be randomly determined for you!" bullshit. It's like when WHFB did random charges; it's retarded.
>>
>>50101896
I was looking at the XMG Hunter Melee Specialist, it's Piloting 3+, Gunnery 3+, EW 3+ with innate Brawler 1 and Shield 1 on top of 7" move.

Make it a Vet and give it Melee Specialist and it gets Brawler 3 on a Reach 1" MVB, which seems decent.

To be honest though even if it's not per se the best melee option the North has it looks like it would be fun to use and looks awesome.
>>
>>50101282
The hype is real, I was looking at the Peace River stuff and I love the cool Patlabor/Dragonar heads they have.
>>
Anyone here play Warzone? Wondering how the balance is.
>>
>>50105307
Uh, for Warzone Res 2.0 I played 350pt test matches on roll20 and it was pretty balanced?
But then the book say 500pts for a "standard" game and all lists were fairly simple, given the few points and the force organization restrictions at that level.

Not that 2 simple matches at sub-points means dick, but I figured you might as well as get some answer. and a bump
You can get the rules for free on their website, if you want. All the rules except the 2.0 [the top on the DL list] are for older Res and as far as I can tell are obsolete.
>>
>>50105307
Warzone: Resurrection has gotten its second edition recently, with the range of changes it received to the deployment rules, squads and characters, scenarios, and special abilities the game plays smoother than before. Factions are all on a fairly even footing with a good range of unit selection to build a list, a clear theme to their play styles(Imperial battlefield prep, Brotherhood psychic mastery, Bauhaus synergy and efficientcy, etc.). Is it balanced? Yeah, I'd say it's done a fairly good job of balancing itself.

Rules are up for free, final indexed copy due for upload soon(current rendition up now is the release candidate version, the one they can still make formatting and layout chanhes to before sending it to the printers), as well as the global advanced deck, and the custom character builder rules.

Give it a look, play some proxy games to get a feel for it, I'm sure you'll like it.
>>
>>50069240
I'm particularly curious about how a slightly modded WHFRP 1E would stack up against Mordheim.
>>
>>50099308
did they fix the whole "swapping guns doesn't refund the gun you're swapping" thing?
>>
>>50109602
Nope. And Veer-myn's list is also horribly priced. That might've been errata'd, but I don't know.
>>
>>50105162
Yeah, I can see that as being annoying. Homogenized stats are useful in a large scale game, but suck in a skirmish level one.
>>
>>50110315
for fuck's sake refunding shit should be a basic thing
>>
How the fuck do you guys even find players for /awg/ games. I've been to basically every game store in King County and surrounding counties. Should be plenty of people here. The only thing I found was a dying core of KoW players, and that's about it. The most "obscure" things I could find were Bolt Action, Malifaux, and some deluded Heroclix guys. Wow. Part of me died I didn't see a single spaceship game that wasn't FFG related.

Also boardgame cafes are taking over the planet while MtG is still choking normal LGS. Wargame-centric stores aren't doing too well.
>>
>>50110771
I play at clubs almost exclusively so the games aren't as tied to what the store can carry as store gamers might be.
>>
>>50110771
I strong arm other people into playing with me, they either humor me to get me to shut up and leave them alone after we're done or they actually end up enjoying the game and pick it up and I have a new opponent.

Autistic dedication is what carries the day for me. And as >>50110807 mentioned having a club to play at is also a good way of finding people to try /awg/s.
>>
>>50107030
It is already released, some folks got their books already.
>>
>>50110981
That's right, books are shipping and being received, but the PDF version in the download section still needs its index, ToC, and page numbers. I'm waiting on my books and cards to show up, should be in the next week or two, feeling pretty excited.
>>
>>50111048
>books are shipping
>pdf is not included so you can't be sure if index and ToC is actually there

That seems fishy, but then again, it's Prodos.
>>
>>50111081
They put up the release candidate version for people to read and play with, final and finished version was already at the printers being printed, now it's all shipping out and the free PDF version will be updated inline with the books. It's like you didn't even read my posts.
>>
>>50110771
Build two opposing forces, invite other people to play. If they get into it and get their own stuff, great. If not, encourage them to do the same for games they prefer, and play those with them too.

People are a lot friendlier to "yeah I'll provide the whole game, you just need to play" than "pls buy into new thing."
>>
>>50110771
Force my gf and brother to play with me. Problem is, that you have to buy/build two armies for every game.
>>
>>50111750
Not a problem since I have like 4 for every game I start.
>>
>>50110771
>didn't see a single spaceship game that wasn't FFG related.
set yourself up there
>>
File: IMAG0583.jpg (757KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0583.jpg
757KB, 1344x760px
>>50110771

>>50111425 speaks the truth. Get two armies/fleets/gangs/squads, paint them up nice, and be unfailingly polite and friendly. I've had people get right back into games they'd dropped because someone enthusiastic turned up. Especially with smaller games, all it takes is one person who's really into the game to keep it alive.
>>
>>50113609
Polish tanks are still cute.
>>
>>50110771
Welcome to /awg/.

I'm the guy in my group that my friends hate because I can't just settle on one game. I find all sorts of games and want to play them, but my friends go "well sure I could toss $50 at that game and play with you(while you make a larger investment to get the rules and extras as well), but I could also spend that $50 on something for Warmahordes/40k/Infinity."

I have more models for games that nobody around me plays than I care to think about. I try and do demos but then people are terrified of trying something new because it might mean they can't buy rhe newest thing for the game they already play(because god forbid they have to wait), or they're sscared I might show them the flaws with the games they play.

Don't get me wrong; I play and love X-Wing, Bolt Action and Flames of War. But if I put 100% finanical investment in and you can't even invest 15 minutes of your time for a demo, then something has gone terribly wrong.

And it's a damn shame because there are so many good games out there with different mechanics that offer different experiences.
>>
>>50116290
Try doing scenarios, not demos. Set up a decent-sized game and maybe a multiplayer thing, or at least if you've got two people interested then drop out and referee it instead of actually playing?
>>
>>50116512
I've tried that. Offering to ref. People just won't even sit down and try. Hell most people I've noticed will straight up ignore you.

Maybe it's just my area, which is weird because Salt Lake has a big gaming crowd. Maybe I just need to find different parts of it.
>>
>>50116569
>you're in the US
Well, there's your problem. As I've heard being non-competetive there will basically gets people to laugh at you.

As a last resort, solo gaming is always there.
>>
>>50116635
Yeah. I mean there are groups that just play, but it's basically like the mafia. The only way to get in is to already know someone in the group.

Like I said; we have a big scene here, but the biggest problem is that it's so unorganized as to be painful.
>>
>>50116740
You could set up a facebook page. For example "Salt Lake tabletop" or something where you could offer appointments for demo games for game x or y. Maybe that will attract interested people.
>>
>>50116290
>>50116512
>>50116569
>>50116635
>>50116740
>>50116815
Nerds decide whether they like a new thing on the basis of whether they already like it.
>>
>>50116569
>I've tried that. Offering to ref. People just won't even sit down and try. Hell most people I've noticed will straight up ignore you.

I don't want to blame you, but maybe its your appearance? Stereotypical fa/tg/uys are just that: fat, maybe ugly and unwashed. Also socially awkward.
And even if you are none of these things, people who don't know you might simply assume you are and don't want to play with strangers. Maybe they are socially awkward themselves and are afraid of approaching a total stranger (that would be me for example, i don't even go to stores to play).
Maybe they made bad experiences from playing with turbo autists in the past.
>>
>>50116815
Actually did that. Even got in touch with game shops to try and get them in on the fun to help organize games and events and shit.

>>50116941
>but maybe its your appearance?
Nah. I'm not your typical looking fa/tg/uy. Tend to keep well groomed, not grossly overweight, shower daily.

I just want a good excuse to buy some stuff, and my shit painting skills make "it's a cool model" not an option.
>>
>>50117090
>Tend to keep well groomed, not grossly overweight, shower daily.

Maybe thats what scares the smelly fat guys away? Just a thought.

But seriously, some people just don't like to play/talk with strangers i guess. Sad but true.
>>
>>50116874

I've got the same problem, I have friends who are into wargames and boardgames but they mostly want to play the same stuff they've been playing for the last ten years.
I set up a Mordheim -campaign and all my friends were interested but none of them have made any effort to put together warbands eventhough most of them could slap one together in a few days from their whfb/ generic fantasy minis.
One of them even keeps bugging me about the story of the campaign despite not having a warband ready at all. Another thing is scenery. They expect me to pay for/build/ paint a full table of ruins before they'll even deign to come play a test skirmish with my warbands. Why the fuck are nerds so fucking lazy?
>>
>>50117316
>me: [story from my D&D game]
>player: ha ha ha D&D is fun
>me: ok want to play
>player: yes I like D&D
>me: ok, 4e, standard everything, level 1, here are some books
>player: i don't like 4e

YOU LIKED IT BEFORE YOU KNEW IT WAS 4E YOU DENSE FUCK

It was like ten years ago and I am still mad.
>>
>>50117794
but 4e is complete shit
>>
>>50117794
>implying stories are rules

>>50117804
*DnD* is complete shit and off topic
>>
>>50117839
>I enjoyed that story
>4e is incapable of generating stories I would enjoy
>Therefore just kidding
is the issue.
>>
File: IMAGCOMBINED.jpg (1MB, 1344x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAGCOMBINED.jpg
1MB, 1344x1520px
>>50117090
>my shit painting skills make "it's a cool model" not an option.
's fukken excuses, m80. Only way to get good at painting is to spend some time being bad at painting. Follow a few tutorials, focus on improving and you can go from bad to acceptable in a surprisingly short time.
>>
>>50117794
Just because he liked the story doesn't mean he wants to play in the system.

He might even have just been laughing politely.
>>
>>50118121
I have reached a level of tabletop quality I'm comfortable with. I don't want to spend a shit ton of time painting; I would rather be playing.

Plus stuff like Freebooter's Fate models scares the fuck out of me. I wouldn't want to ruin those beauties.
>>
>>50118807
If you can paint the base colors in cleanly and then apply a wash they look good enough. But if you see painting as "work" then idk, i like it alot.
>>
>>50051563
Arkeo Obscura is just out, its on the northstar site.
>>
>>50119220
>But if you see painting as "work" then idk, i like it alot.
Not him (obviously) but this is for real the problem, for me anyway. I think if I liked to paint I'd be a shitload better at it just from enjoying myself while I do it, instead of it being like pulling teeth.
>>
>>50122541
For the first couple of months, that'll feel like it, but once you get the hang of it, it'll be enjoyable.
>>
>>50122541
I found that I had to sit down with some music and just focus on painting to really enjoy it.

Painting like that is basically meditation and I find that becoming completely focused on painting makes hours just melt away.
>>
>>50122541
Finding the discipline to get started and continue a session is the hard part for me. I find that putting on music or an anime/movie/show I've watched a few times before as background noise can help.
>>
>>50126649
+1 to this, have seen House M.D. and CSI: Miami for like a dozen time from beginning to end while I was painting.
>>
>>50125737
Basically this.

Turn on nice music, a youtube video/podcast or a twitch stream (there are lots of miniature sculptors and painters under the creative/figurines tab nowadays) or a nice audiobook (lovecraft stuff for example) and painting is extremely enjoyable and relaxing.
>>
>>50125631
Nope. I've been painting minis for 15 years now, and still hate it. In fact, the older iget, the more I wish I could get the pre-painted and put together. I miss single-piece metal casts of my youth. Fuck multipart plastics.
>>
>>50127535
I won't go as far as you, but... yeah. Multi-part plastics are often nice, but there's a lot to be said for a straightforward single-piece casting.
>>
>>50127535
The thing that's making me hate it right now is the amount of prep-work a lot of minis need. I love the Guild Ball minis for example, but the amount of mold lines and flash that needs cleaning in concave surfaces is infuriating.
>>
>>50127742
Cleaning, assembly and base work is the part I love. If you pay postage I will do it for you.
>>
>>50128428
I love assembling, but fuck having to resculpt parts on minis because of the awfully placed mold lines. Who the fuck puts a mold line in an armpit on a muscled person, so it's in a concave area that can't be reached with a file?
>>
>>50129210
>Who the fuck puts a mold line in an armpit on a muscled person
That's not how it works, anon.
>>
>>50129231
It is though. for the minis in question, you could easily rotate the position of the split by 5 degrees, without obscuring detail, and without making them impossible molds.
>>
>>50095852

Link?
Thread posts: 247
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.