[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 310
Thread images: 50

File: northstar fg barbarian templar.jpg (63KB, 960x480px) Image search: [Google]
northstar fg barbarian templar.jpg
63KB, 960x480px
Winter is coming Edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

>Last threads
>>49806303
>>49899970
>>
Just saw this on North Stars' facebook page.

They're apparently also working on sci-fi conversion packs for the cultists.
>>
>>49946693
As well as a scifi game. Sadly no plastics for that.
>>
>>49947501
I'm pretty hype for Rogue Stars. Like the second I heard it was the SoBaH guy and its also a new system.

..I'm spending so much time looking up weird scifi miniatures now. I'm gonna be so poor if I fall in love with these rules.
>>
>>49947732
>I'm spending so much time looking up weird scifi miniatures now
North Star has already released a bunch of new ones. Very Rogue Trader-esque.

Bought a bunch of sci-fi minis from HF a while back too. Quite happy with my purchases.
>>
>>49946693
As much as i liked the soldiers and the culitsts, the barbarians just look very boring in my eye. Maybe some pics of built and painted ones can change my opinion but they somehow lack something original.
>>
>>49948194
>but they somehow lack something original.
I had a look at some of the pictures they posted on facebook.
They are very much inspired by the old school fantasy films of the 80s.
If you watched Conan the Barbarian or Krull you'll likely recognize a few pieces of armor.

All in all I feel like these are probably my favorite of the plastic minis so far.
I definitely want to get some, even though I have absolutely nothing at the moment I can really use them for. Been thinking about how they'd look with a few lasgun arms on them though.
>>
>>49948194
>Maybe some pics of built and painted ones
Only pic around yet afaik
>>
File: Untitled.png (178KB, 220x345px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
178KB, 220x345px
>>49948385

I'm confused by these muscles.
>>
>>49949016

At least they aren't as bad as the GW minotaurs.
>>
Hey /awg/, I'm looking for a ruleset that lets me hunt shoggoths as well as well as brontosaurs is there such a thing?
>>
>>49949016
Don'tcha know Rob Liefeld is making minis now? Soon all games will have pouches as a stat
>>
File: image.jpg (5KB, 102x165px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5KB, 102x165px
>>49949016
>I'm confused by these muscles.
good thing you are not the sculptor then.
That's the brachialis muscle and can look pronounced if you got very low bodyfat.
>>
>>49951733
Mate, the only pouch my miniatures need is a posing pouch.

...well, OK, I can't find the hasslefree mini I swear I remember to illustrate that with. But I get paid tomorrow and am very tempted to order some of their incubi.
>>
File: HFSF101 Captain Kev web.jpg (249KB, 464x494px) Image search: [Google]
HFSF101 Captain Kev web.jpg
249KB, 464x494px
>>49951911
*posts, has another look, finds it*

So now you all have to suffer the stupidest helmet of all.
>>
>>49951925
...is that a fuckin' Cho Anikified Commander Keen?
>>
>>49950560
That'd be basically any game that lets you stat up your own figures - check Savage Worlds: Showdown, and grab the horror expansion for the Savage Worlds RPG for inspiration.
>>
>>49950560
>>49953058
>That'd be basically any game that lets you stat up your own figures
Gruntz and Lion/Dragon Rampant come to mind as well for games that let you stat your own units.

Some people love to hate the rampant games though. Never played it myself only read the Dragon Rampant rules. Seemed okay to me.
>>
Has anyone assembled the frostgrave soldier box? I am getting a box in the post in a few days and want to get the most out of it. What is a good general list of soldiers I should make from it?
>>
File: thegang.jpg (51KB, 565x395px) Image search: [Google]
thegang.jpg
51KB, 565x395px
Peeps looking to play Rogue Stars may want to check out Heresy Miniatures as they have a selection of small guns that can be used in conversions.

Anyway, picture dump of some of the Rogue Star miniatures.
>>
File: likelysuspects.jpg (297KB, 2835x1417px) Image search: [Google]
likelysuspects.jpg
297KB, 2835x1417px
A selection of some interesting looking aliens and humans.
>>
File: meatbag.jpg (260KB, 2835x1417px) Image search: [Google]
meatbag.jpg
260KB, 2835x1417px
There's some robots and dudes.
>>
So I am playing Mordhiem as Norse explorers.

Anyone got some good Viking Barbarian models that fit the Aesthetic.

Oh and a werewolf too?
>>
File: saladfingers.jpg (14KB, 282x477px) Image search: [Google]
saladfingers.jpg
14KB, 282x477px
I'm going for a post-apocalyptic theme for my band, The Dice Bag Lady is releasing a bunch of female post-apoc miniatures. I'll get a couple male miniatures from Reaper Miniatures.
>>
>>49955859
I asked the same question a few times, but never got a good answer.

Basically - this is just my opinion though - you usually want more cheap henchmen than expensive types.
Considering the cost and the actual improvements those soldier have the expensive ones are more of a nice to have than a must have anyway.

Which soldiers specifically you want might depend on your preferences or playstyle. I'd say build two or three of the cheapest thugs and one each of the more expensive ones that seem interesting to you.
Then go from there.

There are 20 in a box and you can only use 10 in a single warband anyway, so you'll have some extras to try stuff out.

Unlike other games the soldiers are entirely expendable too, so making frequent changes in your rooster is probably be a common occurrence.
>>
File: otherworld werewolfpaint1.jpg (101KB, 500x443px) Image search: [Google]
otherworld werewolfpaint1.jpg
101KB, 500x443px
>>49956517
>Anyone got some good Viking Barbarian models that fit the Aesthetic.
>>49948385
Frostgrave barbarians are gonna be released this month. The only thing the FG boxes don't have are pistols and muskets.

As for a werewolf there are a few good options.
I bought this one recently, though it's not the cheapest.
Reaper have a bunch of Werewoves, one in particular is a pretty good model.
West Wind miniatures have some Weird World War 2 Werewolves, but they would work just as well in a fantasy setting.
>>
>>49956773
Good to know that I am not the only person to ask this question. I have a "soldier sheet" I am working on to maximize the box. I'll share my idea after dinner
>>
>>49956773
>frequent changes in your rooster
Hue
>>
Wait, so is Rogue Stars supposed to be the Sci-Fi version of Frostrgrave? Are there any plastics, and was there a kickstarter? Sad to see them stop supporting Frostgrave, as flawed as it was.
>>
>>49956517
I love the Forgeworld Skinwolves, but those may be too big for your purposes.
>>
>>49957262
>Wait, so is Rogue Stars supposed to be the Sci-Fi version of Frostrgrave?
They answered that on their facebook page. It's not.
>Are there any plastics, and was there a kickstarter?
There wasn't afaik.
>Sad to see them stop supporting Frostgrave, as flawed as it was.
What the hell are you talking about? This month the forgotten pacts expansion and the plastic barbarians along with a bunch of metal characters are being released for it. That will be the third expansion for the game and the second one that was accompanied by a new plastic box set.
They're firing on all cylinders.
>>
>>49957262
Flawed? It a basic tabletop skirmish game with an RPG feel.
>>
>>49957393
It had, and still has a lot of balance issues that ruin the fun.

>>49957381
I am patiently waiting to see what comes after Forgotten Pacts.
>>
>>49957443
>I am patiently waiting to see what comes after Forgotten Pacts.
http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.de/2016/09/the-frostgrave-folio.html

The Folio. An Anthology of all the small supplements and the 'first' supplement of 2017
>>
File: 1477435887597-1985267709.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1477435887597-1985267709.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
So this is the general list of soldiers I feel will maximize the FG soldier box. So barring any new class the is introduced in forgotten pack, this can be the optimal plan for soldiers.

Each numbered item is a model with weapon type and what it can represent. What do you guys think? It covers all units up to breeding pit
>>
>>49957443
>It had, and still has a lot of balance issues
It's not the kind of game that you can play at a tourney anyway. I agree that the rules for distributing xp during campaign play were not ideal for less combat oriented sorcerers.
That's an easy thing to houserule though as most people have done.
>that ruin the fun.
that's just you though.
>>
>>49957582
So it's still a verifiably flawed game? Glad to hear. It's just that most of the issues that I have with the game don't exist in others. Especially as it is more efficient to just kill the other warband and then take the treasure, rather than focusing on grabbing treasure as the focus on the game is supposed to be.
>>
>>49957617
>So it's still a verifiably flawed game? Glad to hear.
Really? Give me an example of a perfect game. No need to be a smug asshole.
>It's just that most of the issues that I have with the game don't exist in others.
Have you considered that your issues just mean that you don't like it and not that the game is 'verifiably flawed'?
You're pretty upset about something that is an easy fix anyway. It has been discussed at length here, on the lead adventure forums where the authors posts and other places.
Play a predetermined number of turns and you fixed that problem too.

Seriously. It's in it's first edition, have you ever seen a perfect product shipped on the first try?

If there is gonna be a Frostgrave 2nd Edition, I'm sure some of the most common concerns will be addressed, since the author of the game handles the FAQ thread on lead adventure personally.
>>
>>49957617
>So it's still a verifiably flawed game?
I believe you're thinking of Mordheim, a clusterfuck so bad it still hasn't been fixed ages after going out of production. And truly, its flaws meant it was never fun and didn't become popuOH WAIT, YOU'RE A GIANT TALKING SPHINCTER

Fart on, Anon, fart on.
>>
>>49957741
Just because other games have some issues doesn't mean that it is OK for Frostgrave, especially in its gravity. I like Shifting Loyalties Malifaux though as it does flavorful campaigns with many viable playstyles well, and does simple things to avoid Frostgrave's pitfalls.

Many of the issues I have with it have been brought up before, and despite new supplements being released they haven't really addressed them. I like the game, but don't claim that I was wrong in saying that it is a flawed game.
>>
>>49957582

I'm so sick of this retarded logic that the FG fanboys put about.

Not being a tournament game is no excuse for piss poor game design and no attempt at game balance.

You like the game. That's fine, plenty of people like shitty things but don't try and paint everyone who doesn't like it as some waacfag powergamer who's opinions can just be discarded.
>>
>>49957861
>but don't claim that I was wrong in saying that it is a flawed game.
Dude. The point I was making is that there is no such thing a a perfect game.
Every system has weaknesses.
>>
>>49957741
>No need to be a smug asshole.

Says the smuggest asshole in the thread.
>>
>>49957861
But ever game is flawed and to be honest some of the most flawed games are the most popular. I think just saying something is flawed for the sake of saying it's flawed is rather useless.
>>
>>49957942
Yes, but Frostgrave more so than others
>>
File: despair.gif (601KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
despair.gif
601KB, 500x283px
Until the autists showed up that have to compulsively shit on everything they don't like instead of keeping their hot opinions to themselves this was a nice thread.

Seriously. If you don't like a game that's fine. Just move on. It's not the game's fault anyway that your expectations towards your idea of what the game should be weren't met. Just move the fuck on.
>>
>>49958003
i'll bite. i'm newer to frostgrave so the apparent flaws haven't shown up to our game group. so what flaws are in this game?

I mean I can go around 8 posts about the flaws of just how privateer press handle just the models in that game without even touching the rules, so enlighten me
>>
>>49958041
I mentioned that the game wasn't perfect in passing. FG fanboys aren't too unlike 3.5 fanboys in that sense.
>>
>>49957475
so, now that the fighting has died down, does anyone have any input on my proposed list of models to make out the of Frostgrave Soldier box?
>>
>>49958048
Warbands focused on killing others are straight up better than ones that aren't. Even with a lot of terrain x-bows are incredibly powerful, and you are gimping yourself if you don't take a generous amount of those. Going off of that there are few reasons to not just focus on kill spells. This makes the more offensively leaning schools of magic much stronger than the ones that don't. And each type of wizard isn't even optimal at what it is supposed to do. If you want to do summoning you are better off just playing a witch rather than a summoner.

I am sorry if my expectations weren't met, but I thought that the game looked really cool from a distance. The illustrations show people largely fighting in hand to hand combat, wizards of all types not dying horribly, and arcane treasures being sought after, which doesn't match up to what it is in reality. If they just wanted a game where people kill each other then grab treasure, then why even have treasure markers at all?
>>
>>49948385
What the fuck is nickstarter?
>>
>>49958246
They use a kickstarter-esque format on their site where you can pledge to buy some of the upcoming product (Typically at a discount). It is a good deal, though I find that I save more by buying stuff from Ebay later on and not paying shipping.
>>
>>49958246
Nick is the guy who owns North Star Miniatures.
It's private crowdfunding basically. Well strictly speaking Kickstarter is private too, but a third party.
>>
>>49958167
I haven't played a thaurmaturge yet, but the way the schools look and how the aligned classes are setup, you can make a wizard that more of a rpg character that can have a balance of offense and support spells rather then a purely support, which is any fantasy setting is weaker than other types of wizards, so that is really the normal for the setting.

as for the crossbows, if someone is running multiple crossbows and just go full killy, they are playing the wrong game and should go back to sucking in other more combat centric skirmish/war games, as frostgrave is not really meant for that. that is really a player/suedo power gamer issue rather then a game issue.

is that it?
>>
>>49958307
Actually, focusing on evocation in 3.5 is considered unoptimal. The best wizards in 3.5 would be the ones with a lot of buffs and utility powers, not just raw damage, unlike in Frostgrave. So no, that type of wizard is not always weaker.

Sure they might be playing the wrong game, but the game woefully does not actually focus on what it should. Take Malifaux for instance. Focusing on objectives like grabbing treasure actually is the best route, rather than just killing things. It is to the point where crews with very little in the way of armaments like a showgirl one are able to compete with witch hunters and living nightmares. Regardless of what Frostgrave is meant for, it falls short of meeting that goal.
>>
>>49958384
So, if they change the rule to say, you only get the treasure you retrieved if you opponent has no warband members left, the game would be better? Have you played with this rule?
>>
>>49958384
>Regardless of what Frostgrave is meant for, it falls short of meeting that goal.

Beginning of Chapter One:
>Frostgrave is designed to be a competitive game between two or more players, but most importantly it is intended to be fun. These rules attempt to cover all of the situations that are likely to occur during play but, without a doubt, there will be times when the exact rule for a given situation is unclear. In these cases, use your best judgement and try to come to a mutual agreement with your opponent. If you can’t agree, each player should roll a die and go with the interpretation of whichever player rolls highest. You can discuss the situation further after the game and decide how you will
handle the situation next time.
>Finally, think of this book and these rules as a starting point. If you think of ways to make yourgames of Frostgrave more fun and interesting, then do it – it is your game, after all.

You will note that at no point the game presumes to have all the answers, in fact it explicitly states that you should come up with your own solutions as you see fit. It's very much like an RPG in that way. You need a teensy bit of creativity or imagination to get the most out of it.>
>But most importantly, it's supposed to be fun.
Obviously you had more fun with Malifaux. Others may feel different. That's all there really is to say about that.
>>
>>49958041

Seriously. If you don't like that someone doesn't like a game that's fine. Just move on ...

Frostgrave internet defense force should consider practising what they preach.
>>
>>49958466
It would be more honest, but not necessarily a way to make it a better game. In the end Frostgrave is like the more combat oriented wargames that you mentioned.

>>49958494
I never said anything about homebrew. Within the realm of homebrew anything can be ideal. I was referring to the actual printed mechanics. I am just saying that Frostgrave lands far far from it. It simply isn't easy to just start a pick up game with some bloke and hand him a leaflet of house rules that I expect him to play with, and expect him to take it well or smoothly.
>>
>>49958494
>competitive

Due to its inherent imbalance Frostgrave isn't competitive so anon is right, it falls short of meeting the very first goal it sets itself.

>it explicitly states that you should come up with your own solutions as you see fit.

Which is lazy as fuck and sloppy game design. "Please buy my unfinished product and fill in the blanks yourself."
>>
>>49958643
Oh you are in of those lazy pretentious gamers who bitches about little shit in games, wonders why they only plays games with the same two people and never plays with completely painted armies.

Please do yourself a favor and fuck right off
>>
>>49958494
>Frostgrave is so busted that the book just tells you to make up your own rules
You can't make this shit up. What happened to actually playtesting things?
>>
>>49958998
If you had ever read a book in your life you'd know that most rulebooks come with a paragraph like that.
>>
>>49958643
>it explicitly states that you should come up with your own solutions as you see fit.
>Which is lazy as fuck and sloppy game design. "Please buy my unfinished product and fill in the blanks yourself."

Most of the time I'd argue against this being a bad thing, given that there is a lot of stuff that players might want to do with a game the original author might not like, think is appropriate or have even considered. I've seen some very un-intuitive re-theming of rules sets in my ramblings around the internet, like trying to make a modern combat game heavily based around suppression fire into something to cover the American war of independence.

But generally the games I'd support dicking around with the system are more 'complete' sets. Or ones that lay out how their systems work and what they're supposed to represent in their abstractions so if you want to tweak it you have suitable ground-work already done.

Can't really say that for Frostgrave though given it's a really simple game built on familiar mechanics that should feel more complete and refined than they do, without modification, given it's a published game and not something just thrown together quickly.

I won't say that I hate FG. The game is merely OK. Average. Uninspired. Lacking in huge gamebreaking flaws. Basic. Frustratingly so. It feels like the kind of game that could actually be the game its supporters make it out to be if it had a lot more work put into it to expand upon and refine the systems whilst keeping it suitably streamlined. As it is, it shall remain a game I played a couple of times with some suitable spare figures and didn't care to keep playing because there were other far more interesting things to play.
>>
>>49959089
There's a difference between "finish my crap" and "add to my finished thing, might be fun"
>>
>>49959503
That is the point I was trying to make. FG I feel definitely is in the former, not latter category, though given the prolific publication of expansion books, I think the creators simply don't realise that. Probably cos they've gotten so much feedback that's basically fellating them for it with no critical thought put into it.
>>
>>49959544
>I think the creators simply don't realise that.
It's one guy. And he's a moderator in the lead adventure Frostgrave forum where he also deals with the FAQ thread. He is very much aware of these issues. And he explained why he didn't publish a quick fix.
>Probably cos they've gotten so much feedback that's basically fellating them for it with no critical thought put into it.
Just check the thread and you can read the feedback yourself.

Don't just talk out of your ass like that, when looking it up just takes a minute to switch tabs.
>>
Anybody have scans of Witchfinder General or Alien Squad Leader?
>>
Anyone played Pike and Shotte and Zombies? Worth buying?
>>
SO HOW ABOUT GAMES THAT ARENT FROSTGRAVE HEY
>>
>>49958246
>>49958303
It's more of a straight pre-order than crowdfunding, with some stretch goal-like bonuses though.

You can also get it through third parties, if there's someone you like or you want to combine an order. IIRC some of them are offering their own additional bonuses.
>>
>>49961075
No, but I got the PDF free in one of Wargame Vault's halloween things a few years back, IIRC.

It seemed... ok.
>>
Anyone else here ever play World of Twilight?

God I wish that was easier to ger here in the States. Hell I feel that way about a lot of stuff for /awg/.
>>
>>49962607
Is that the one that feels like Dark Crystal in the aesthetics and uses two-sided stones instead of dice?
>>
>>49962792
Yeah, that's the one.
>>
>>49956517
Mantic for the wolf.
>>
>>49957262
Just to be clear to everyone. Rogue Stars and Frostgrave are by two different writers. Osprey publishes both but thats the only thing they have in common.

I think there might be a lot of assumptions on account of Necromunda & Mordheim and how half of this board really wants a modern version of both (fuck, I do too).
>>
>>49959089
>As it is, it shall remain a game I played a couple of times with some suitable spare figures and didn't care to keep playing because there were other far more interesting things to play.
Basically this.
>>
>>49961546
Let's talk Warzone!

Any new happenings? Got some assembled and badly painted IG Scions from a friend and the box had a perfect beret-gasmask head to convert them to Imperial Special Forces. Even their armor style is matching, and they won't look too out of place with the old minis.
>>
>>49963192
They're okay, you really need to greenstuff some extra fur on it though.
>>
>>49953241
>>49953058
I was looking for something more hunting focused and got a hold of Tusk, read it yesterday and I think that might work.

Now it's time to get some 15mm adventurers and some shoggoths
>>
>>49963903
They look fine as they are IMHO, just paint the not-furry parts black or whatever your desired fur color is.
>>
File: 20161025_184134.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161025_184134.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>49961546
I played Heavy Gear yesterday.

Shit was great. My poor grunts got mostly slaughtered by a beam rifle wielding ace but one of them punched an enemy in half, and I won on objectives.

Plus a drawfriend on /tg/ drew a lovely picture of my pilots before the game. And then they all got melted/torn apart by bullets/exploded/crushed with what could only be imagined as MD Geist levels of violation.
>>
>>49961546
I should be getting my suicide squad preorder bundle soon. I really feel like I am going to enjoy the game. The suicide squad wouldn't be my first choice but the bundle was a great deal
>>
>>49950560
There are a few pulp hunting games out there.
>>
>>49963975
>And then they all got melted/torn apart
WELCOME TO TERRA NOVA

Heavy gear's tops. I love it and wish there was a group locally.
>>
File: 20161025_184129.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161025_184129.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>49964503
>hey I have a fuckhuge robot with a chaingun arm time to go heavyarms on these scrubs
>roll averagely
>opponent gets triple sixes to dodge, then braces, lines up his LAC and cripples my Kodiak in one burst with fucking incredible rolls and me failing every piloting roll, then his King Cobra 360 laser noscopes me in the back from halfway across the map

RIP Kodiak pilot, you were the cute childhood friend type of the squad
>>
>>49963975
>>49964898
My stuff from the KS got shipped to my home address rather than my uni address so it'll be a while before I get my hands on them.

So please have mercy, I cannot take much more hype.
>>
File: 20161022_114623.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161022_114623.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>49964929
I can't contain my own hype, the plastics are incredible.

The moment when I looked at the laser rules and realised their combat range was longer than most weapons' extreme range was a major hype moment.

That and seeing how great melee was when a Hunter punched a Jager in half (then taking a moment to realise thay sick nasty roll was some poor bastard taking a robot arm through the torso)
>>
File: 1477277361693.jpg (72KB, 426x632px) Image search: [Google]
1477277361693.jpg
72KB, 426x632px
>>49963256
2.0 rulebooks are shipping out now, so that's a thing, final copy of the PDF rulebook is out soon too, the current one up right now is the release candidate version, so the version that still can have some changes added(formatting, graphics, ToC, etc.).

I'm painting up some more stuff for a bunch of my armies. Like I'm finishing off some Inquisitors and Troopers for my Brotherhood with more Valkyries and some Visionaries after them, Got more zombies and Nasca Razides to finish for my Dark Legion, really keen for the Ilian stuff to start rolling out, but I don't think that's happening until maybe after Christmas. Also on the painting block is more Imperials and Wolfbanes, my Bauhaus and Cybertronic, and finally my AVP stuff, the models have been sitting in a box and I'd like to get them painted for games with my friends.
>>
>>49965063
Did they finally put in an index?
>>
>>49965100
Printed books, of course. The yet to be updated PDF, soon. Graphics girl is almost back from a holiday, should be later this week or into next week. Probably, I just search terms for things I need to check up.
>>
>>49963975
>TFW you've finally got all the Heavy Gear miniatures you've wanted for over a decade now, but you haven't built or painted any miniatures in years and now you're terrified of assembling and ruining them.

Help.
>>
File: 20161023_223044.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_223044.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>49965943
They are really easy to build. Three part body, two arms, two legs, head and gun. Everything fits together nicely and if you feel fancy reposing the arms and legs isn't too hard.
>>
>>49965976
I'm also thinking of ordering the resin arms so I can have some two handed poses.
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 582x452px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 582x452px
>exploding across the world
Is this true?
>>
>>49966197
No.
>>
>>49966016
That's a good idea. You could probably hack the plastics up enough and Greenstuff the gaps but it would be a massive pain...
>>
>>49963975
Srill nees to finish building my Northern demo stuff. And then paint my stuff.

Alas my MERCS stuff came first so I have to at least get the stuff I need for those demos done.
>>
>>49950560
Tusk has dinosaurs, and IIRC the expansions had all kinds of weird shit including daleks?

You could probably start there.

Two Hour Wargames may have some adaptable stuff, too.
>>
>>49966287
Kind of what i figured. Nobody seems really interested in the game.

Oddly enough the vehicles of the game are the thing I like best so far. Usually I'm only into the infantry models.
>>
>>49967861
Until they have plastic freeborns, my interest is kinda low regarding the game too.

Once those come out, I doubt I'd use them for Antares, but oh well.
>>
>>49952211

Close.

It's based on characters from a sketch from the Japanese show Downtown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3KX1EEd1kE
>>
File: goa WGA-FRB-02-Bovan-Tuk_grande.jpg (45KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
goa WGA-FRB-02-Bovan-Tuk_grande.jpg
45KB, 600x600px
>>49967874
Man. I was about to post how I was disappointed how the Freeborn looked because I expected them to look like this guy somehow.

Now that I went back to the store I see that some of the models actually do kind of rock that style. Bare chests, beards and all.

But after the first models in the baby blue bathrobes dropped I completely lost interest in them as a faction.
Several month later I now realize that I just was completely confused by the paintjob about what the sculpt looks like.

Wtf. That never happened to me before.
>>
>>49966197
It actually has some popularity in germany.
>>
>>49968094
Huh. As the guy asking the question... that's pretty ironic, since I'm German.
>>
I´m looking for a modern fantasy/horror setting, any idea?
>>
>>49968456
How modern you want it to be? Ctulhu is always there, but if you're willing to do some coybows' n shit, Malifaux could work too.
>>
>>49968456
Crooked Dice has a game that is based on 70s tv shows, like their model range.
Can't think of horror/fantasy stuff right off the bat, but they have a module for Star Wars too for example, so maybe they got something like that too.
>>
>>49968473
Modern like today.
>>
File: Winterly-Travers.jpg (69KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Winterly-Travers.jpg
69KB, 300x300px
>>49967861
>Nobody seems really interested in the game.

There's a lot of good reasons for that though, from the initial clusterfuck disaster that was its original attempt at getting made to fluff that seems to expect you to know what's going on with its word salad, many miniatures looking particularly uninspired, that it's basically targeting an audience Warlord's already captured with Bolt Action, even just the name being overly long and unmemorable all stack up against it.

>>49968592
7TV! Now there's a game with problems, though a much refined and improved 2nd edition did, well, refine and improve the game quite a lot, still a bit wonky at times (mostly in terms of trying to balance things from different genres) but by 'eck is that a game that gets by on strong theme on every level of miniatures and mechanics.
>>
>>49968151
The yt-channel "Tabletop Basement" did a couple of videos about the game. I actually got annoyed by it because my interest in the game is zero and they could have done other content instead.

Afaik its played in Erfurt too (Der kleine Krieger yt-channel)
>>
>>49968863
>even just the name being overly long and unmemorable all stack up against it
Even just reading this subthread I had to go back and check twice what the name of the game was, not kidding.
>>
>>49968863
>There's a lot of good reasons for that though
True.
>from the initial clusterfuck disaster that was its original attempt at getting made
Yeah. Was worried if Rick could recover from that. Glad that the whole interactive game world thing got kicked though.
>to fluff that seems to expect you to know what's going on with its word salad
Yeah. 1I read the stuff in the beta rules, but just couldn't get into it. Not for a lack of explaining though, it just didn't capture my imagination.
>many miniatures looking particularly uninspired
I just spent a few minutes staring at the stuff in the store. And though admittedly some of it feels a little goofy, most of them do have charm I think. The paint schemes make the miniatures look terrible though. Basically every spotlight by hobbyists on the blog has better paintschemes and the miniatures read better.
>that it's basically targeting an audience Warlord's already captured with Bolt Action
I was never into BA, but was looking for an alternative to 40k. But neither the fluff nor the minis really could convince me.

It's weird cause I wanted to like it.
>>
>>49958550
>Frostgrave internet defense force?
>>
Yeah in theory sci-fi Bolt Action is exactly the game Warlord should be making but they've messed it up pretty bad.
>>
File: unity_council_marine_1.jpg (53KB, 960x723px) Image search: [Google]
unity_council_marine_1.jpg
53KB, 960x723px
Well, my first Anvil Unity Council Marine. Tried to copy Dwartist's colour scheme.
>>
>>49969889
Neat, I like the goggles.
>>
>>49968863
I love it every time i get to play it. It's not perfect but it feels 'right' for what it's trying to portray. I've done 70s cop show games and spy/organisation games with it and I really want to do tokusatsu Rider/Sentai games with it because I think the system would work really well with it.
>>
>>49969908
Thanks mate.
>>
>>49960901
It would be nice to have an actual FAQ or errata

The current approach to patching the game is just lazy
>>
File: not so spooky.jpg (47KB, 599x590px) Image search: [Google]
not so spooky.jpg
47KB, 599x590px
beyond the gates of antares was such a wasted oppertunity for warlord
Bolt action v2 is breddy good
>>
>>49970479
It was a nice try though, but the time for a new, big, sci-fi game has not come yet i think.

Its not dead yet though, and they still seem to have a lot of new stuff for it planned.
>>
>>49970513
I think it was more of a case of promising more than they could handle. I remember when it was first announced, they had plans for a living backstory with regular player input. It was also a victim of the Kickstarter hype-train, where people hype it out without realizing its years away from actually being a full product.
>>
>>49971992
I wouldn't give up hopes for it as long as they continue to release stuff.

Sadly none of the factions interests me in the slightest.
>>
>>49972037
>Sadly none of the factions interests me in the slightest.

This. they're all just so painfully generic and uninteresting.
>>
>>49972037
>>49972434
The big exosuit alien dudes are kind of cool, but other than that yeah it's just humans-with-slightly-different-foreheads syndrome.
>>
File: Odo_ejecting_Sisko.jpg (34KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
Odo_ejecting_Sisko.jpg
34KB, 500x376px
>>49972947
>startrek boltaction the next generation of 40K
>>
File: ariadna dogface.jpg (651KB, 1920x805px) Image search: [Google]
ariadna dogface.jpg
651KB, 1920x805px
>>49956517
If you don't mind some sci-fi werewolves, or don't mind converting, Infinity has some and the newer Dogfaces are quite nice sculpts, and in 28mm. There's (Space) Russian werewolves and also US Marines werewolves. Because.
>>
>>49972947
Love the exo-suits, hate the actual little guys. And the Isorians hit the right spots for me aesthetically. But yeah, other than that, they're bland. I know they're supposed to be similar, since its a post-human setting, and most of them are just altered humans, but they're still pretty lackluster.
>>
>>49973091
The suits are tripods meets Darleks, really nice. Suits with horrid little buggers inside. Just a shame nobody has a PDF as I'd like it on my tablet and I'm not paying for it after getting the hard back and I don't have access to a scanner
>>
>>49956517
>>49957274

Seconding the skinwolves, friend of mine picked some up for KoW and they are really nice.

Mierce Miniatures also do some decent werewolves.
>>
File: van gogh the sadness.jpg (72KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
van gogh the sadness.jpg
72KB, 850x400px
tfw still no Konflikt 47 pdf
>>
>>49974250
There is one. Too bad I'm not home and can't post it.
>>
>>49956517
Privateer Press makes some Warpwolves that might be suitable.

As for Vikings, Hasslefree minis have a few available.
>>
>>49974250
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kaa9z0gdn7ujd57/Konflikt+%2747.pdf
>>
>>49948230
>If you watched Conan the Barbarian or Krull you'll likely recognize a few pieces of armor
Can you point one out?
>>
What's /awg/ thoughts on named characters in games? Heavy influence and part of the core (Malifaux and Warmahordes), used sparingly to add things that stand out from the normal (supposedly GW and Mantic games), purely Your Dudes (Frostgrave and any game without a set setting), etc.
>>
File: 1404877695097.jpg (344KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1404877695097.jpg
344KB, 1000x1000px
>>49978954
>any game without a set setting
what are some cool games that do not have a setting?
>>
>>49978757
Here, this is the most obvious one I think. At least to me.

There are a few other pieces that seem familiar like the helmet with the horns pointed down, but I can't place them. Anyway here you go.

Pictures of the minis are still kind of hard to find.
>>
>>49978954
Really depends on your game. If you got a game like warhams they use the named characters as archetypes after which the generic heroes are tailored and they also serve the function of telling the story of that faction and giving the army flavor.

The only functional difference between a named and a generic character in that regard is that one version of the same archetype comes with predefined equipment and the other one is customizable.

If you got another game like Malifaux where the named characters are the only characters there is no distinction either. Just means less 'your dudeness' since converting them to make them your own might be a bit problematic.

Games without a setting are similar to the first variant from a mechanical pov, but the main difference is theme here. You have to come up with your own narrative, why, when, where and to whom what is happening.
A sandbox setting like the GW games makes that easier for people that have no interest in doing their own worldbuilding.
>>
>>49968456
Inspired by >>49968094, perhaps a dystopian warehousepunk game inspired by staplerfahrer klaus?
>>
>>49979033
Dragon Rampant, Armies of Arcana, Ospreys Black Ops, SoBH and most of the ganesha stuff, gruntz, the smaller two hour wargames rulesets, a fantastic saga (gets a shitty setting forced on it though).
>>
>>49978954
I don't mind having one or two optional "named" guys in an army list, but usually i'm more a "your-dudes"-guy. I rarely played named chars in 40k when i played it back then. Sometimes i took their profiles for my own characters though.
>>
>>49979140
For a project I'm working on, leaning towards the Warhams approach, using a few named characters to build the story and offer a unique take on an archtype.

>>49980343
I was 50/50 on how GW did their take. I always preferred the ones that brought something really unique to the field, like the Green Knight or Greasus Goldtooth in Fantasy, over the blander ones that served nothing more than a better version or to unlock specialty lists, like Belial in the Dark Angels.
>>
File: sucks my dood.jpg (142KB, 1136x852px) Image search: [Google]
sucks my dood.jpg
142KB, 1136x852px
G'day /awg/

I'm GMing a Necromunda campaign, but we have an odd amount of players. I will be having multi-gang brawls, but when that's not happening what should the player who has a bye be doing?

>work territories etc
>>
>>49981124
Is that really a problem? I mean not everyone is gonna be gaming at the same time all the time, right?

Anyway the old specialist magazine had loads and loads of scenarios for Necromunda. Most for 2 gangs, but not all of them iirc.
Even then you could modify them for singleplayer sessions, if you dm.

Or you could use arbites as 'dm-pc' to give the gangs something to do.

Or maybe look for one player more.
>>
>>49978954
I prefer stuff where you get to make up the story for your dudes. Using named characters once in a blue moon is fine, but I'd rather not use them if possible. Then I have to come up with justifications for why this super awesome, important, person is always seemingly hanging out with my army.
>>
Is Hell Dorado dead for good? Is soda pop ever gonna resume production?
>>
>>49981124
If you're willing to take a direct hand in it, say that each week (or however often the group meets) the gang that's not playing is drafted by some settlement that needs protecting, or the Arbitrators, or what-have-you. Crank out some simple missions that you can play out, of varying difficulties. Use it to introduce, or kill off, characters in the campaign if you're running a campaign that has that sort of narrative stuff going on. You could even stick it on a table, and make it so it's not guaranteed you'd get an event, but that could be quite dull.

A brawl at a watering hole gets out of hand when a bounty hunter pulls a gun, so the gang are sent in to put a stop to this nonsense.

The gang is drafted in to an "Arbites training exercise" against some new recruits, using safe, training weapons. Use this one a few times, then surprise some poor unfortunate sod with a story where some ne'er-do-well has given the arbite recruits actual weapons. Or have some notorious outlaw offer a large sum of money to have the gang use actual weapons rather than training weapons.

Clear out some tunnels - make up some Space Hulk esque blip tokens, have them hunt down stuff, kind of like the scenario in the Outlanders supplement.

The Arbitrators have set up a honey pot of loot that's just too good to pass up, and posted the gang (and a couple of arbitrators) as the people to spring the trap around the criminals. The gang could turn on the Arbitrators at the risk of outlawing and a bloody shoot-out to get the loot themselves. Make a loot table, show it to the player. Let them see what kinds of amazing things COULD be in the box.
>>
File: jonaskjersenart.jpg (482KB, 638x941px) Image search: [Google]
jonaskjersenart.jpg
482KB, 638x941px
I'm looking for a mini as close as possible to my D&D Rogue's character art; I figure /awg/ is the best place to ask due to the wide range of minis you folks deal with. Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>49984414
Have you looked through reapers range already?
>>
>>49984449
I had a brief look, but I find a lot of their stuff is quite cartoonish, if that makes sense?
>>
>>49984063
Fuck, now I want to play Necromunda.
>>
>>49984782
Its their style i guess.
Painting can make a huge difference though.

Hasslefree has a large range of generic fantasy guys as well.
>>
File: RBA005 RothMartyn - Dead Fish.jpg (137KB, 754x405px) Image search: [Google]
RBA005 RothMartyn - Dead Fish.jpg
137KB, 754x405px
>>49984414
Maybe this guy from Red Box?
>>
>>49984782
Their catalog is huge. Dozens of sculptors with slightly different styles.

They have a really well organized tag system though. Search for male rogues and look through the results.
>>
>dat feel when nobody on /awg/ ever wants to talk about the games you like, because they only play normie mainstream stuff like Frost Grave.
>>
>>49987617
Sadly that's the case with most /awg/s. We can get some shit going about Warzone, some mild shitposting about FG, but the other games are not too frequent.
>>
>>49987617
Why not post pics and stuff about that game to get others interested in it?
>>
>>49983498
comepletely deadzo, shame as its KS wasn't that bad, but Asmodee fucked the game pretty hard, and while I like Cipher their production was a real step down.
Game was pretty good too. I liked the dice pool combat res.
>>
Anyone tried the Judge Dredd game? I saw it recently and downloaded the rulebook but I've got no idea how to start off.
>>
Do mantic/kings of war games get posted here or are they doing some lame once/week thing or what's the latest
>>
File: ogres v2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
ogres v2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I know some KOW players lurk here, going into my first tournament with this list tomorrow.
Is 13 drops a lot for 2k points? Is my lack of cavalry/flying going to be a serious detriment?
Thinking I might have to get some goblin heroes just as fast disruption options.

I've only played 3 games so far, and they were all games with a friend who I provided both armies for, so any feedback at all is welcome.
>>
>>49991006
My other option is this, which just seems way less fun, but probably more effective. This was an attempt to make an army that would be really quick and easy to paint to tabletop standard.
>>
>>49990332

You can post them here if you like.

>>49987617

>instead of posting content for the games I like I'll just complain about their absence without mentioning what they are

You're an idiot.
>>
>>49987617
Well you could post about the games you play. Maybe people do play it or get interested in it
>>
>>49990332
Doesn't mantic have a game with little orphan kids as an army?
>>
>>49987617
The notion that any wargame, with the possible exception of 40k/sigmar, could be normie, is pretty dumb desu.
>>
>>49991210
Nemesis by zenith miniatures
>>
>>49991653
oh man, I love those models. does anyone play this game? I am readying the rules to see how it plays

http://web.zenitminiatures.es/en/nemesis-the-game/
>>
>>49991890
another "successful kickstarter doesn't mean anyone actually plays the game" result sadly. I liked the world enough and the orphans are one of my favorite designs ever, but the game never really had much going for it. Especially here in the USA.
>>
Is it me, or a lot of games moving to using D10's these days?
>>
>>49991954
I'm ballsy enough and have the cash to get two of the armies, Orphans for myself, and just try to get the game played at my local shop just to see how it goes. The orphans are just too cool looking to not see table time
>>
>>49992229
Its a generally a good decision I feel IMHO, its either use d10s or 2d6 style dice resolution I feel these days. Like just tweaking GW style games with d10s improves them immensely I feel.
>>
>>49992229
>>49992381
I think d10s are better than d6s (easier math, a tad more granularity without much more complication..), so if people are moving to them - awesome.

How are you changing GW games to be d10s? That seems like a lot of work.
>>
>>49992323
nice, theres the Arbonte's menace 2 player set thats has orphans and rocaiva. Its nice to see that zenit looks to be doing well with Kensei
>>
>>49992229
The d10 is better than the d6. Some games do well with d6's(Firestorm Armada, Heavy Gear), but forbskirmish games especially I'd prefer a d10.
>>
>>49992416
>How are you changing GW games to be d10s? That seems like a lot of work.
not as much as you'd think, though it works better in old fantasy (wargods is essentially WHFB but d10s) as it has armor mods rather than 40k where AP is all or nothing.
>>
>>49987617
Then post about the games you like, that's how there's some semi regular talk about warzone, I and some others kept going on about it.
>>
>>49992229
>>49992381
>>49992416
>>49993559
Don't forget that throwing 2d6 and 1d10 do not generate the same statistical averages. The tables in the GW games are designed around that.
>>
>>49992381
>>49992416
I'm not complaining, I gladly enjoy the shift. When you are trying to math a system out, the D6 is so limiting. Even most systems that use them, are using them less for the actual roll chance, and more of the potential successes in a roll. Its why they go for big pools of dice.

>>49993360
I feel anything that rolls pools of 5 or less dice benefit from D10's. More than that, and you should switch back to D6's.
>>
>>49996140
>The tables in the GW games are designed around that.
>throwing 2d6
No they aren't in almost every GW system/mechanic. Rolling a d6 2 times sure, but rolling 2d6 is different.
>>
>>49996484
am I having an aneurysm right now or did you just repeat what I said in my quote as if you were of an opposing opinion.

You either didn't understand what I was getting about in terms of probability distribution of results depending on which dice you use or you are implying every GW system only uses a single dice for it's tables. Note that I said tables. Not to resolve a simple check where you use one dice.

Am I somehow unclear on what I'm trying to say here?
>>
>>49996484
>Rolling a d6 2 times sure, but rolling 2d6 is different.
wat

On the topic of d10s, anybody got any examples of newer systems using d10s? Wondering how it's being used.
>>
>>49991006
Both lists look good to me. I like ogre shooters, they are probably more cost efficient but you have a good amount of sourge on the first one, probably going to struggle with the lack of cavalry but it does look viable.

Also, better make a KoW thread.
>>
>>49999688
Why make a specific KoW thread?
>>
>>49999702
Easier to find topics about the subject and to talk about things not necesarelly related to the minis; like the writing contest. Only because it would be more organized I guess (even so, the post rate would be laughable).
>>
>>49996811
What tables are you talking about then? To wound? To hit? Because those are all single die resolutions.
>>49998253
Rolling a d6 2 times will give you 2 different results, rolling 2d6 gives you a single combined result.
>>
>>49998253
Warlord games and Zenit games off of the top of my head. Mantic's Deadzone uses D8's. For skirmish games, it feels like a lot of companies are moving to either D20's if they are doing single rolls (Infinity and Dark Age) or D10's if they are doing the more GW way of multiple dice per roll (Gates of Antares and Konflikt '46).

>>49996484
He's saying that 2D6 (a bellcurve) has different math than a D10 (flat chance). He's not actually talking about GW games.
>>
>>49999688
>Also, better make a KoW thread.
But anon, this thread is for every game that doesn't have a general because it can't generate enough content on its own.
>>
>>50000514
>What tables are you talking about then? To wound? To hit? Because those are all single die resolutions.
>>49996811
>Note that I said tables. Not to resolve a simple check where you use one dice.
Says it right there. Not those things.
GW did more than enough games with random tables. It's an example given because changing between using two dice and one will affect how these behave the statistically. The game in particular doesn't matter.

If you need me to give you an example lets go with GorkaMorka. There are more than enough random tables in there and they are designed around bellcurves.
>>
>>50002008
What? Most of the tables in GM/NM are d66 silliness, right? I don't remember much 2d6 going on, and d66 is flat.
>>
>>49999688
> I like ogre shooters, they are probably more cost efficient
I've come to the same conclusion, leaving in 20 minutes taking a slightly modified ogres- cut the giant and magic items for a horde of boomers, so i can rotate and roast flyers/flankers
>>
>>49992229

I'd like to see them move to d12, because that is one sexy isometric polyhedron.
>>
>>50004031
That's what I'm using in my system..
>>
>>50004168

What system?
>>
>>50004181
Working on a skirmish game set in basically Hellgate: London/DOOM.
>>
>>50004314

I've been thinking of building a scifi skirmish game much like that, but I'm nowhere near smart enough to figure out that shit. I'd like to see what you come up with.
>>
>>50004349
I have a playtest copy made up. Its at the stage where its about getting the mechanics down before ironing out balance. I posted it in one of these threads a few weeks ago, but there wasn't much interest.
>>
>>49998253
MERCS uses d10's. Wargods is another example of a d10 system. I think Reaperxs game(Warlord and CAV) both use d10's.
>>
>>50001548
Warlord uses primarily d6. Bolt Action, Hail Ceaser, Pike & Shotte and Black Powder are all d6 systems.

Gates uses d10's, but I would have sworn Konflikt uses d6's since it's basically BA.
>>
Thinking about getting into 10 mm fantasy with pendraken minis. Any system recommendation and what do you think about the scale? I'm thinking about playing with HOTT or just DBA and never handled 10 mm before. Are they too little?
>>
>>50004487

Well, you've got one interested anon, and I'd be happy to check out what you have.

A few other questions about it:
>How does unit activation work?
>Shooting or melee focus?
>How are abilities generally handled?
>What kinds of units would it support? (infantry, bikers, mini-mechs, small vehicles?)

The system I was thinking of would be adapted for Destiny, since that setting would be fun for skirmish games.
>>
File: '47 are d6s.png (32KB, 397x136px) Image search: [Google]
'47 are d6s.png
32KB, 397x136px
>>50004555
>but I would have sworn Konflikt uses d6's since it's basically BA.
You'd be right.
Assuming he meant Konflikt '47, at least.
>>
>>50004555
>>50004593
Huh, could've sworn it was D10. Did the same thing with a few other games, like Fallen Frontiers and the one Dakkadakka made.

>>50004572
Activation is alternating between players, choosing one model to activate and completing it before moving onto the next. Each model gets a pool of action points to spend, and is not limited to do each action only once like some systems.

In theory, it should be shooting based, but with a slant towards brutal melee. An attack is resolved by each player rolling a pool of D12's, usually from 2-3 on average, and choosing one of them. There are things like range modifiers, cover, etc., that changes what you roll. If you roll equal to or over your opponent, they are hit. Most of the time, it is attacker's attack versus target's defense, but in close combat, the defender may attempt to attack back and use their attack instead. There are no weapon range limits, instead just an ever increasing penalty, so it is possible to hit someone from across the board, but with most weapons, its not likely.

Abilities are mostly model based. There are a few universal special rules, but most are found in the model's profile.

Right now, it supports everything short of vehicles. It can easily fit them in, but I'm focusing on small-scale urban combat for now.

I have some tweaks I need to do to my playtest copy before I post it.
>>
>>50004849

I look forward to seeing it, if I am around when it is posted.
>>
>>50004849
Interesting setup.

You have different factions with different army lists, or a generic pool everybody selects from, or what?
>>
>>50004558
I've heard good things about Warmaster. Supposedly not a perfect system, but a good way to play 10mm fantasy mass battles.
>>
>>49978954
I'll almost always use generic characters that I can name over special characters. Like, I know you can justify it by saying your particular battle is the apex of a grander engagement but that just feels so flimsy an excuse. I'd only consider using special/named characters for a scenario game or campaign, not for a PUG.
>>
>>50004867
Wasn't a big tweak, just a few numbers and added a new rule for damaging things.

>>50004917
Different factions. Right now, with the advice from the last time I posted about it, the "core" factions are the Knights Templar, power armored global military inspired to take on the moniker by the "angels" and "demons"; the Cabalists, foil to the Templars, where the Templars try to play it safe, the Cabalists choose to fight fire with fire and use experimental weapons powered by "magic"; the Morlocs, mutant human swarms leftover from the fallout of the incident that ripped open reality and let the demons in; and the Infernal Legions, the demons, invaders from holes torn in reality. There's a few more factions, like the Cults of the Damned, demon-worshipping cults and opportunist warlords using the chaos and black market dealings to gain power; and the Celestial Hosts, angelic greys that are the nemesis to the Infernal Legions, and who use humanity as a meat shield.
>>
>>50005256
Forgot to change the pre-measuring part. It should just be regular pre-measuring allowed.
>>
>>50004849
Konflikt is basically just BA with some weird war stuff. Same base ruleset.
>>
File: Playtest Copy.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Playtest Copy.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50005256
Shit, wrong copy.
>>
Any advice on how to get started with Frostgrave?
>>
>>50005698
1. Find people to play with
2. Acquire rules and minis
3. ???
4. Play Frostgrave.
applies to all minis games.
>>
>>50006131
Thanks, but I more meant what number of minis was required for a decent game, that kind of thing.
>>
>>50006476
Grab a wizard and apprentice, a box of the plastic dudes and do some demos.
>>
>>50006476
IIrc you want a wizard/apprentice model then starting warbands hit 6-10 dudesmen.
>>
>>50006476

Maximum amount of dudes you can have per side is 10.
>>
>>50008112

There's a few ways to add one or two extra models to the team, like getting Hounds and Beastmasters or an Inn for your base of operations. But otherwise, yes, 10 is the norm.
>>
>>50005400
Wasn't too familiar with BA. Not that interested in WWII games.
>>
>>50005400
>same base ruleset

Its based upon the BA rules, but there are some (minor) changes/improvements.
>>
Which FG expansions are missing?
>>
>>50011823
Breeding Pits and Forgotten Pacts. But the latter comes out this month.
>>
>>50012120
Ah, thought I could contribute...

Back to other /awg/ then! Played LotR SBG yesterday again after like a year and it was good fun. We're not entirely happy with how it handles melee, but we'll work something out. Anyone else playing it here?
>>
File: Bauhaus.jpg (362KB, 959x1193px) Image search: [Google]
Bauhaus.jpg
362KB, 959x1193px
Hey just noticed that Miniatures Market is carrying Warzone. Damn cheap too due to the pound crashing. Going to have to order a bunch...
>>
Does anyone know where I can get cheap plastic miniatures that look like the UAC from Doom? I need them for a Savage Worlds game.
The closest thing I could find was the Chronoscope Bones line, with all the Nova Corps.
>>
>>50012599
>Damn cheap too due to the pound crashing.
This clusterfuck makes me so glad there's a good wargaming industry in the UK. Shit'll get more expensive anyway, but at least I won't have to import from Europe or the US...
>>
>>50012599
Warstore also has them, in case MM is out of stock on something.

With the pound taking such a beating it's real tempting to buy some stuff for Bushido and World of Twilight.
>>
>>50012599
>carrying Warzone
aw yeah
>Resurrection
ah well.
>>
>>50012767
The clusterfuck is just the global markets realising that the only thing that kept the Pound strong was people buying it up on the financial markets.
>>
Hasslefree are doing a Halloween sale at the moment, and for a very reasonable fee you can be the proud* owner of this Dune-inspired miniature which may or may not also be inspired by other sources as well!

>SF135 Archbaron Drumpf Spaceclad composite

>Archbaron Gloosus von Drumpf is an overlord of the Akulian Empire. While he rules with a tiny iron fist he is not respected and keep his power by sheer ruthlessness. His corpulent form is prime breeding ground for the many disease on his desert planet and he is forced to spend daily treatments floating in his healing tank to try to keep ahead of them. Due to this practise, and the many workers, nurses and slaves that have seen it, the most popular insult whispered around the slums of the city roughly translates to "As smart as his penis is large".

No metal version available yet, just the more expensive resin master copy: http://hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=resin-master-%252d-archbaron-drumpf-spaceclad~hfmaster-sf135&category=sci%252dfi-%26%0D%0Aweird-war~resin-masters-%252d-sci%252dfi

enjoy, i guess
>>
>>50015041
...ok, I guess. Wish he did something that's...like...his normal stuff.
>>
File: 1475540662813.png (69KB, 177x344px) Image search: [Google]
1475540662813.png
69KB, 177x344px
beside BloodBowl and Guildball what other sports themed games are there?

I want to start a league were all the teams are themed after cereals.
>>
>>50016098
Dreadball from Mantic.
>>
File: 1gm100.jpg (180KB, 540x430px) Image search: [Google]
1gm100.jpg
180KB, 540x430px
>>50016098
I mean, lots of people have a "We made a notbloodbowl!" game.
>>
>>50016098
Not sure about other games but Guild Ball is fucking awesome.
>>
>>49948100
>Very Rogue Trader-esque.

This, Frostgrave was a smart and bold move
to reel back all those fantasy players with diverse/older minis that just wanted to break them out, I think this will be same for rogue trader players looking for something new that retains the spirit of old-school 40k.

>>49978757
Not that guy but one of the treasure objective(may have been kickstarter only) was the glaive from Krull sitting on a rack.
>>
>>49979140
>If you got another game like Malifaux where the named characters are the only characters there is no distinction either. Just means less 'your dudeness' since converting them to make them your own might be a bit problematic.

I hate that, I love making my own characters.

>>49981124
npc gang controlled by you.
>>
>>50015041
>Dat tiny wiener
>>
>>50020281
His crotch fat's suckin it down, haha.
>>
Folks, anyone know any dwarven ranges that are compatible with the LotR dorfs and has crossbowmen and handgunners, preferably?
>>
>>50022533
Never seen the two side by side, but maybe the minis from Black Chapel would work.
They are less cartoony when it comes to proportions, but they are pretty much made for Mordheim so the designs are similar to GW stuff. Which works if you play a game set in the hobbit movies rather than the LotR films... oh well.
>>
Finally got my hands on my Heavy Gear KS stuff.

Today is a day for tiny robots!
>>
>>49948100
>North Star has already released a bunch of new ones. Very Rogue Trader-esque.
Which ones? They have so much other stuff on their site it's a bit hard to navigate.
>>
>>50024191
Nice! They're pretty easy to build, even to the point where I can build them and I suck at the hobby side of things.
>>
>>50024428
My only gripe so far is that the hex bases have slots in them but the models themselves have no tabs so I'm gonna have to fill in the gap before basing.
>>
I am very disappointed with myself, I was meant to dedicate this weekend to pure hobby, painting my friend and mines Relic Knights stuff, working on my Warzone armies, Witch Hunters for Mordheim.

Instead I pissed my weekend away on computer games and porno. Again. So I ask you all, how do you maintain the discipline to continue your projects like you say you will? I've got motivation in spades but fucked if I can just stick to something.
>>
>>50023699
>so the designs are similar to GW stuff. Which works if you play a game set in the hobbit movies rather than the LotR films... oh well.
Well, I play standard LotR. And the Hobbit dorfs are in scale with those too, so sadly Mordheim-type won't fly. But thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them, maybe they'll fit into my WHFB dorf army.
>>
>>50024504
>Instead I pissed my weekend away on computer games and porno. Again.
Same desu, tho because it's a long weekend (Day of the Dead or something like that), I have two more days to do nothing.

I set goals to myself usually and they work pretty well till I complete a project. Then weeks of doing nothing and just fucking around, another project and so on and so forth. Pick up the brush, even if you don't feel like it that much.
>>
>>50024613
>I set goals to myself usually and they work pretty well till I complete a project. Then weeks of doing nothing and just fucking around, another project and so on and so forth. Pick up the brush, even if you don't feel like it that much.
Whelp, guess I'll just have to sack up and get on with it then. Nothing else to do about it.
>>
File: divine_Rage.jpg (29KB, 680x600px) Image search: [Google]
divine_Rage.jpg
29KB, 680x600px
>>50024721
As Churchill once said, "If you go through hell, keep going." Noone will paint those miniature figures anon, noone but you. Believe in yourself and slap some paint on the little fuckers!
>>
>>50024469
Yeah, I thought that was sort of silly.

I had some masking tape, but no idea where it went.
>>
>>50024998
Ah, hadn't thought of masking tape, was planning to GS the gaps.
>>
>>50025031
But anon, that'd be really expensive.
>>
>>50025808
I've got a strip of older GS that's not really good for much else other than gap filling.

Still I'll probably get some tape anyway because it'll be much faster.

In the meantime I'm just gonna work on my Caprice because they don't need bases at all.

Also Accos a cute.
>>
>>50024778
Dat boar looks good. Who makes it?
>>
>>50026013
Momminiaturas, aka the drunk Spaniard.
>>
>>50026018
Cool, he has orc riders know? How's the quality/price outside Spain?
>>
>>50024244
You need to check either their facebook page or the facebook page of the game.
The minis are not officially released yet, but you can preorder them via the nickstarter.
>>
>>50025877
And any basing done will cover the tape anyway.
>>
>>50025877
The Acco is just the cutest little quad-bot.

I keep debating getting bases for my Caprice stuff.
>>
>>50029401
MDF bases would be pretty cheap. Might be too thin though if you wanted the thickness to match the plastic bases.
>>
File: 1459225958512.jpg (125KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
1459225958512.jpg
125KB, 950x534px
>>50013111
my thoughts exactly. the only place I know that sells the old Warzone minis is princeaugust.ie
>>
What do you guys things of Warploque minis? For what I seen in the web they look kinda cool and handmade, but I never seen one in the flesh. How's the quality and all that.
>>
File: 01-kraken-starter.gif (648KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
01-kraken-starter.gif
648KB, 600x400px
>>
>>50031902
Shame that game never took off, such beautiful minis.
>>
>>50031968
Didn't they do a KS to relaunch it and introduce some new factions?

I got a demo at GenCon back in 2009, and it seemed cool.
>>
>>50032127
No idea about a KS, there were some fans that tried/are trying to revive it, but they haven't done anything outside of a French copy of the rules last I checked.

To be fair, the rules were a bit of a mess. Didn't you need like 3 or 4 sets of special dice for it? But the models were beautiful and concept of farming mana from the field was cool.
>>
>>50032193
Can't remember the dice thing.

I would love to play some Godslayer, but I'd have to check the rules again and see if it does the stupid forced activation sequence like Warmahordes(the combat rules are basically identical).
>>
>>50032468
Just looked at their site, looks they are offering English copies of the revamped Alkemy rules. And if you look at the warband starters, you can see the sets of dice. It was 3 different colored dice with their own spread of numbers and symbols. And if I remember correctly, it was dependent on how badly the model was wounded determined the dice.

I've looked at Godslayer before, the goatmen are really the only ones that jump out at me. The name makes me want to have a game where players control a demi-god with a sliver of the one true gods power, Kill 6 Billion Demons style.
>>
>>50032639
I like the Noordgard, and I'm also a sucker for Roman fantasy guys.

Those dice look like something out of a boardgame.
>>
>>50032694
Minis aren't bad, just nothing really pops out for me.

And they do. Like something from a 90's board game.
>>
>>50033034
Fair enough. I like them, but man getting the stuff os a bitch and a half. Only online retailer in the U.S. that seems to carry it is Noble Knight, and their discount ain't much and their stocks always seem to kind of suck.

The Alkemy dice look like the dice in the new Conan board game.
>>
>>50033184
I've just never been a fan of DRM dice, especially in cases where it can be more per roll than what's supplied initially. I'm looking at you ST:AW.
>>
>>50033602
DRM dice? Not familiar with the term.
>>
>>50033971
Its a term I use to describe any game that uses specialty dice as the core. Its like they are trying to lock you out of their system. DUST was pretty bad, with its special 5+ dice, but easy to get around when you knew that, Star Trek Attack Wing only gave you 5 dice, when you could easily get more for a roll, in the core set.
>>
>>50034219
Ah. Yeah I get that. What's the point of giving us dice if you won't give us enough dice to actually play?

It's worse with an example like STAW whoch is supposed to be a 2-player set of sorts.
>>
>>50034317
ST:AW was technically a 3 player set.
>>
File: dice.png (219KB, 424x336px) Image search: [Google]
dice.png
219KB, 424x336px
>>50031902
Pretty big fan of this game and the frenchfans who bought and continue the game. I didn't mind the dice that much (other than you would need a max of 4 of each but only got 3 of each in a starter) and hey they give you all 6 sides if you want to just roll normal d6. You getting weaker was always interesting to me and the combat card mechanics added a small RPS element to melee which further helped break it up. The way ranged combat needed revamped tho. I'd love to see the guys who currently got it make up for Kraken screwing the pooch so badly but its too far gone I think for the world.
>>
15mm.co.uk are offering free worldwide shipping today only, just FYI.
>>
>>50035592
The idea of guys getting worse as they hurt is cool, but I think I prefer Warlord's way of doing it where their stats got worse as they took wounds.
>>
>>50038873
That was great. Hope they'll go back promoting Warlord a bit better with all the Bones shit comign out. For fuck's sake, can't find the bloody book in Europe, only from the US with bullshit postage rates.
>>
>>50039353
That blows,l.

It's a cool game with some great rules. I hope it takes off a bit, too.
>>
>>50033602
>>50033971
>>50034219
>>50034317
>>50035592
>>50038873
You could appropriate what these dice do by saying that after receiving x wounds on a roll of 6/5+ you get a -1/-2 penalty.

Always nice if the game provides you materials that speed it up a bit.
>>
So in the latest dystopian war news:
http://www.spartangames.co.uk/dystopian-world-expansion-kickstarter

>Dystopian Wars players told us they wanted more models, which is fantastic, as we have been working in-house not only on the Battleships many of you have seen on our previous blogs and Facebook page, but a range of upcoming releases for the Core nations. This Kickstarter will allow us to realise and extend these plans in a much quicker and fuller way. With an initial focus on the Core 7 Nations (Prussian Empire, Federated States of America, Kingdom of Britannia, Empire of the Blazing Sun, Covenant of Antarctica, Repuplique of France and Russian Coalition) we have created Expansion Sets which will bring a new Large, Medium and Small Squadron to each given Nation.

>The models will be either Naval or Aerial and the driving force behind the models is to bolster the capability of that nation in battle. Models are also designed to show the progression of each nation’s military during the word war that consumes the Dystopian World, setting the stage for even more exciting expansions down the line.

>[skipping around]

>The call for a new Dystopian Wars 2-player set has been met with Operation: Ice Maiden – one of Spartan Games’ most exciting boxed sets to date! Building on our exciting new Baltic campaign, this superb set will appeal to existing and new players alike. A fantastic story setting will see naval forces of the Prussian Empire strike out into the Baltic to engage the navy of the Russian Coalition. At the heart of the Prussian’s audacious plan is the Ice Maiden, a huge invasion Super Carrier created by the mighty Teutonic Order out of an ice berg!
>>
File: 771939_md-.jpg (69KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
771939_md-.jpg
69KB, 800x599px
>>50012601
Maelstrom's Edge plastic contractors with Pig Iron heads.

I used some Hasslefree weapons to add shotguns, chainguns, rockets and plasma rifles too.
>>
>>49957861
>I like Shifting Loyalties Malifaux though as it does flavorful campaigns with many viable playstyles well

Interesting claim.
The XP system is fine, in the sense that it doesn't really have one.
But flavourful?
Far too much of it is just a set of random shit you can add to stuff - Void Wretched with Jet Pakcs doesn't seem all that flavourful to me.

I say this as a huge fan of Malifaux and Mordheim, just for clarity.
>>
>>49972947
Those faces look somewhere between terrified Bender and spoopy skellingtons.
Why.
>>
>>50042389
War is hell
>>
>>50042389
They're a cloned race designed for nothing other than piloting those mechs.
>>
>>50041617
>Pig Iron
F
>>
>>50041504
>a 1' long (275mm) carrier model

hahahaha oh fucking great, another game that has unfeasibly fuckhuge centrepiece models.

Combine that with Spartan's increasing love of lol wacky units and I can't wait for the other factions' SUPERHEAVIES like "the white house lol", "himeji castle that flies" or "the vogler sphere"
>>
File: IMAG0275.jpg (678KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0275.jpg
678KB, 1344x760px
>>50044499
I fucking hope there's no big model for my fleet. The CoA already has four fucking dreadnoughts, none of which are used in normal sized games, because it's too much of a clusterfuck to fit a dreadnought worthy game in an evening.

And two of those dreadnoughts suck, too.

>even bigger models
fucking why. The newest dreadnought robots sold like shit because they had no redeeming qualities.
>>
>>50044583
See what confuses me is a 12" long model in Spartan's rule system would be almost unplayable because it would end up with a speed of about 4", not fit through any reasonably placed terrain and have the turning circle of "half the fucking board".

Then it would either die like a bitch because everything can see it or have DR/CR so fucking high cruisers might as well not bother.
>>
Lately I've been struck with the idea of warband games where each side has one central power piece and mooks to serve them. Does anyone know of any games that do this well, besides Warmahordes, Malifaux, and Monsterpocalypse?
>>
>>50044630
Don't forget that it would also have to deploy sideways, otherwise it won't fit in the default 8" deployment zone, and as a (at least) massive size model, it can't deploy flanking, reserve or advance.
>>
is there any profiles compendium for sobh?
and i look for balanced starting warband for a demo someone have some list to share ?
>>
>>50041504
Any news in ground command?
>>
>>50044746
frostgrave, saga and wargods to a lesser extent. You can play inifnity like that.
>>50044866
Just make them mirrors
>>
>>50044746
You could take a huge tank like a King Tiger or IS-2 and use it that way in Bolt Action.
>>
>>50044746
Infinity. It's set up whereby you can have a few incredibly strong units, that are fuelled by the cheerleaders.
>>
>>50044746
Saga, Frostgrave and Godslayer are all like that, but with a bit more emphesis on "your dudes" since the only time anyone had a name is when you give it to them.
>>
>>50045019
>>50045294
Forgot about Frostgrave. Mostly looking for how other systems handle it. Was inspired by the discussion of Godslayer yesterday. Throwing around the idea for a game where the gods are dead and now mortals use their fractured power to attempt to gain godhood.
>>
>>50044349

You know they got bought out anon? Pig iron isn't dead.
>>
>>50045458
Godslayer is very similar to Warmahordes in terms of basic mechanics, so if you know that game things will be familiar to you.

I like the customization you get with the warband leaders and specialist guys. The ability to outfit them with new equipment gives the game lots of flexability.
>>
>>50003195
How'd it go
>>
>>50045926
4th overall, got my shit slapped by other ogres in the last round- he had a much more focused plan for the battle, whereas I was just sorta winging it. Definitely going to make some changes- I had a very crowded board, and often got in my own way. Thinking about cutting some warriors for some Red Goblin Blasters, and maybe a few mounted goblin heroes to have some fast harass.
>>
nothin'
Thread posts: 310
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.