[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 26

File: Bitterblossom-Art.jpg (277KB, 1340x1007px) Image search: [Google]
Bitterblossom-Art.jpg
277KB, 1340x1007px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread >>50007568

How have you been outsmarted by the fey, or how have you outsmarted the fey?
>>
Anons? Would-be homebrewer here trying to ge the hang of crafting feats for 5e... tell me, would you consider this feat overpowered?

Feat: Draconic Mutt
In your veins flows the lineage of not one but two different kinds of dragon, and although initially one dominated, the other has awoken through your constant tapping of your ancestral power.
Prerequisite: Draconic Ancestry trait
Effect: Choose a second breed of dragon from the Draconic Ancestry list. You now count as descending from both this type of dragon and your original selection for terms of determining other traits affected by your Draconic Ancestry. This includes the Damage Resistance and Breath Weapon of Dragonborn (although a Dragonborn can still only use its Breath Weapon once per short rest) and the Elemental Affinity of Draconic Bloodline Sorcerers.
>>
File: Durable feat.png (23KB, 890x441px) Image search: [Google]
Durable feat.png
23KB, 890x441px
Durable feat benefit:
+1 CON, so that's half of an Ability Score Increase.
The other half is situationally more HP during short rests per hit die, benefiting a low HD character with either very high or very low CON, and with diminishing results for all other classes. If you are playing a martial with an average constitution score, you will benefit very little from the second half of durable.
>>
>>50014675

aHR0cDovL3d3dzg5LnppcHB5c2hhcmUuY29tL3YvTHBTSXZodzEvZmlsZS5odG1s
>>
Alright, thought of a subrace, tell me what you think
Wholeling (Halfling)
+1 con
Medium
30 movement speed
darkvision
>>
Longbows are heavy. That seems like a pretty big fuck you to the idea of a halfling or gnome ranger, considering they don't get a choice to start with a bow they can actually use.
>>
>>50017539
i'm about to break up with someone in my gaming group. I'm the dm. I don't hate him and I have to live with him. how fucked am I?
>>
>>50017787
how's a 3ft tall gnome going to draw back a 6ft long bow?
>>
>>50017787
They just don't have the arm's length to use it
>>
So, anons? If I want to replace gnolls as the Chaotic Evil Beastmen Raiders species with a Shin'hare expy, based on a cabal of elven druid-necromancers who got killed, survived by possessing & mutating a rabbit warren, and now want to enslave/exterminate all other life for their humiliation, using the Shin'hare's tactics of blood magic, arcanely-boosted fertility, necromancy and utter callousness towards the lives of their underlings, am I a bad DM?
>>
>>50017794
>how fucked am I?

not very, apparently.
>>
>>50017798
>long bow
>>50017801
>don't have the arm's length to use it

Isn't it quite relative what a long or a short bow really is?
>>
>>50017814
>Isn't it quite relative what a long or a short bow really is?
No.
>>
>>50017798
>>50017801
It makes sense that they can't use it. But a ranger gets a longbow. They don't get "a longbow or a martial ranged weapon" or the like so that a small race can have a short bow or a crossbow or something.
>>
>>50017822
halflings are medium n'est pas?

And assuming they have the same strength everyone else does (which bears out in their stats), I see no reason they couldn't use one. They just hold them sideways, and look cooler doing it!
>>
>>50017822
Longbow: 50gp
Shortbow: 25gp

Sell Longbow, obtain shortbow.
>>
>>50017814
if it's small enough for a small unit to draw, it's not a longbow

>>50017822
just ask your dm to switch it

>>50017842
they're small
>>
>>50017842
Halflings and gnomes are small.
>>50017853
Not really arguing that they're screwed over or anything. Just seems an odd choice to have the book force a specific bow, such that a halfling ranger heads out on adventure with a bow he can't use and without one he can. No biggie, just silly.
>>
>>50017858
>>50017883
Oh well, that's an easy way to homebrew a fix: Rangers can also start with short bows.
>>
>>50017883
>>50017907
I'm pretty sure this was just an overlook
>>
>>50017921
The entire game is an overlook.
>>
>>50017939
woah man, you sure showed us.
>>
A Halfling longbow would just have a comparatively longer draw length in relation to its height.
>>
>>50017959
no
>>
anyone done the out of the abyss campaign yet? thinking of picking it up, how is it?
>>
>>50017810
Underrated comment
>>
>>50017959
That's not how that works. It'd be like saying a halfling size cannon would have the same firepower as a human sized cannon, just scaled down to fit their height.
>>
>>50017769
They're just called Lings, bro.
>>
>>50018185
To be fair I didn't say it made, but Halfling archers were often represented as having a exaggerated draw, sometimes even bending backwards.
>>
Am I getting this right ?

>Brutal Critical
>Savage strike
On crit, add one weapon damage DIE to your damage roll

If you have a greatsword you add 1d6, if you have a greataxe you add 1d12 ?

And what does this 1d6 represent ?
>>
>Flesh to stone
>Stoneshape
What happens?
>>
File: 1441158821696.jpg (265KB, 1267x779px) Image search: [Google]
1441158821696.jpg
265KB, 1267x779px
Is short longbows the new meme?
>>
>>50018250
Yes. A greataxe crit will be 3d12, a greatsword will be 5d6

>And what does this 1d6 represent ?
...extra damage?
>>
>>50018260
It makes you wonder about the size of their shortbows.
>>
>>50018250
>And what does this 1d6 represent ?
how brutal or savage your strike is.
>>
>>50018282
I like my shortbows halfling sized and my longbows wholeling sized.
>>
>>50018258
some unpleasant things.
>>
>>50018250
as a tack on, is it unbalanced for the DM to rule that on a critical hit, you only add 1 of the damage die instead of doubling?

like a greatsword does 3d6 instead of 4d6
>>
>>50018317
Can I make humans into dragons? Or do I just get Junji Ito shit?
>>
What would be the damage and properties of a short longbow and a long shortbow?
>>
>>50018344
you CAN, but when someone casts stone to flesh on them they'll die.
>>
>>50018260
what about a wholeling halfling short longbow?
>>
>>50018343

I think that's a serious nerf to greatswords mostly so I'm not sure why you feel that's necessary. Greataxes and greatswords roughly keep pace by having better crits and most consistent damage rolls respectively. Gutting a greatsword's critical seems excessive.
>>
There is a mountain dwarf sorcerer, wild magic. He has rolled increased height 4 times. He is a 6 foot tall dwarf now.

Currently he is immune to getting drunk.

Funny character, completely weak though.
>>
>>50018343
Yes. Don't nerf martials like that. There's an entire class that relies on criticals.
>>
>Play a Charlatan Bard
>Built around Magebreaking, Skills and Utility
>Stuck in a table of ass holes and roll players who keep disdaining my play style just because I deal shit damage.
>Even though the weaboo munchkin tank didn't take a single hit the whole fucking battle thanks to my protection, but whatever
>DM is the worse metagamer of all
>Social interactions are shit. DM's trying to be cool by getting in on "fuck the bard" meme and so even though I am a human with 20 charisma, every new NPC in every plane of existence begins every interaction already treating me like shit the dog dragged in
>my own rp gets fucked up and interrupted by the moans and bitching from the roll players whenever I open my mouth in anything other than "BARKEEP, WHERE IS THE NEAREST QUEST FOR TWENTY BUGBEAR'S ASSHOLES?", so now I cant even do that.

Sorry for the blogging tg, but I'm getting pretty sick of this game.
>>
Anyone /mounted combatant/ here ?

Is this any good ? I am thinking about find steed too, it seems a pretty cool spell.

>share your mounted combat stories
>>
>>50018507
Git gud groop
>>
>>50018507
don't take their shit
talk to your DM, say that you want to keep playing but it sucks to be in your position, try to make some arrangement
>>
>>50018590
dash -> unmount and move some more
>>
What role does Tiamat take in your games?

She and her nameless spouse were the first gods from the Primordial/Elemental Chaos, who begat all other gods. She was overthrown and slain by a storm god and chief of the pantheon, who divided her body to make the Heavens and the Underworld/Abyss. This is the first Creation myth as told be the prehistoric lizardfolk and draconic empires.
>>
>>50018710
>using forgotten realms deities

Gross desu.
>>
Anons? I got a setting in which kobolds are going to be playable, so I want to adapt PF's Kobold Bloodline for Sorcerers. Does this look balanced to any of you, or is it hideously overpowered?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/racial-bloodlines/kobold-bloodline-sorcerer-kobold

1st Level Feature: Draconic Ancestry
As per the Draconic Bloodline feature of the same name. You can spend 1 Sorcery Point to gain Damage Resistance to your ancestor's associated damage type for 1 hour.

1st Level Feature: Trapsense
You gain Proficiency with Thieves Tools and the Perception skill. When attempting to perceive or disarm traps, you double your Proficiency bonus.

6th Level Feature: Trap Runes
As a bonus action, you can spend sorcery points to cause a runic sigil imbued with elemental energy to form at a point you designate within hand's reach. This trap rune explodes in a 5ft burst if it is touched by any creature other than you, inflicting 3d6 (4d6 at 11th level, 5d6 at 16th level) elemental damage - this damage is chosen from the list of Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning and Poison when you create the trap rune. Creatures caught in the explosion can attempt a Dexterity saving throw (DC 8 + your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus) to halve the damage taken on a successful save. It costs 2 Sorcery Points to create 1 trap rune, and it remains in place for eight hours or until triggered, whichever comes first.

14th Level Feature: Arcane Ambusher
You no longer provoke opportunity attacks whilst moving through the space of an enemy creature.

18th Level Feature: Mineghost
You gain the Earth Glide racial trait. This is a Burrow speed equivalent to your default movement speed, but benefiting from any class-based improvements to movement speed. Unlike a normal Burrow speed, you do not displace the earth you are moving through, instead passing through it as though you were ethereal.
>>
>>50018719
You forgot that its been a deity from various settings for decades.

However, in the setting I'm using, Tiamat is not a goddess of evil dragons--instead, he is one of the pantheon of the Annunaki, the Gods of a certain region of mountains in the setting.
>>
>>50018613

I really want to do that, but I'm trying to find a way where, in the group, I can do it and "not be the asshole who can't take a joke", or be pushed into making a scene like last time we rolled characters, and they all *had* to roll Charisma casters -and I went for quiet rogue type- and they flipped their shit at me for criticizing their "Check List" questing, and sending our social benefits down the shitter without so much as a care in the world.

The DM is actually a pretty good guy at heart, but he's also pretty bipolar when it comes to reacting to feedback, and quick to overcompensate to feedback
>>
>>50018766

Reminds me of my current game. DM thinks we're playing minecraft or something, all his rewards are random parts to get to the local magic item crafter to create random magic items and that seems to be entirely the plot of the game.
>>
>>50018826
Sounds perfect for the default group of murder hobos.
>>
>>50018507
Git gud groop
>>
>>50018864

I'm this close to doing so. It's mostly on account of them basically holding my bard's story line hostage.
>>
>>50018507
Roll a fucking barbarogue to the point of obnoxiousness.
>>
>>50017539
When will Novembers UA get released? this week or next week?
>>
Mindwitnesses are so cool. Mindflayers are super cool
>>
I'm creating a homebrew race (Non-playable) for a campaign I'm going to run. I already got the general idea such. But how detailed should I make them? Should I just make the general idea and then just improvise when the players make that information relevant or should I make everything overly detailed?
>>
So I dunno if I'm that guy or what

>Playing Oath of Vengenace paladin, chaotic neutral
>overarching plot dealing with a vampire
>keep disagreeing with party
>at entrance of cave, villagers are in back of cave and will die if we go in and attack
>arguing with bard about who wants to kill the kobolds - who will kill the villagers if the mercenaries who keep raiding them don't leave, otherwise the villagers are free to go
>same mercenaries, and some guards are planning a coup and have murdered several people
>have 16 cha, trying to talk to bard who has 20 cha, we both roll persuasion and he wins
>it is against my oath to directly cause harm to innocents, I cannot be convinced to kill kobolds who just want to live in peace for a coup
>DM says then I have broke my oath, I am now an antipaladin
>ok fine, seeing the lowest dregs of humanity have turned me against them, cast dreadful aspect, my alignment is now lawful evil
>Crit the bard with a Divine smite, I called it a Malevolent smite
>Outright kills him
>DM says Torm instantly kills me and revives the bard
>never want to play with me again
>>
File: 1412962018900.png (280KB, 343x432px) Image search: [Google]
1412962018900.png
280KB, 343x432px
>>50018991
>DM says then I have broke my oath
>cast dreadful aspect, my alignment is now lawful evil
>Crit the bard with a Malevolent Smite
>Outright kills him
>>
>>50018991
>Having players roll Charisma against eachother
>Going through with a plan that will force the Paladin to fall

Nah, main thing you did wrong was killing the bard right away, but honestly that was to be expected by suddenly making you an oathbreaker out of nowhere.
>>
>>50018258
Cosmetic Surgery.

>We're gonna have to put you under for this operation
>>
>>50018991
>>DM says then I have broke my oath, I am now an antipaladin
That's very... stupid, to say the least.

>>DM says Torm instantly kills me and revives the bard
nah man. That just a bad DM if you ask me.
>>
>>50018909

I found the sith lord

I'll do it, Master
>>
>>50018932
It's released on Mondays, so next week.
>>
>>50018991
>>have 16 cha, trying to talk to bard who has 20 cha, we both roll persuasion and he wins

I see your mistake here.
>>
>>50018991
Speaking of, I have too have a bard who is being a dickass. He keeps talking on about random shit forever - yeah I know - and keeps starting shit, I and other players have to deal with and fix since it an extreme detriment to the campaign.

The DM and I want to find a creative way to guide his character into not being a cunt. We are all relatively new.
>>
>>50018975
Depends, how much use are you going to get out of them, and how much attention are your players likely to pay them?

If they're going to get confused over potential contradictions or lore conflicts, or if they're going to be deeply important to the campaign, then deeper lore planning is usually advised, otherwise just fixing the most essential details and spitballing further notes on the fly as they're called for will usually suffice.
>>
How is Storm King's Thunder?
>>
>>50019080
>Drats
>>
>>50018260
I play a halfling archer - and I mean a shortbow basically IS a longbow for a halfling, they're just too short to wield a classic longbow. Things like "recurve bows" etc do exist tho..
>>
>>50019093
Any ideas? Short of killing him of course
>>
>>50019251
Asking him not to like a reasonable human being
>>
Using the UA ranger, how intelligent is the animal companion assuming i use an ape/primate? Can they carry a bag? use weapons? For example if i gave it proficiency in medicine could it stabilize a downed ally?
>>
>>50019390
Primates can use tools. If I were a DM, I would certainly rule that they could carry a bag, though even a horse could do that with some straps.

The only weapons they could probably use would be simple ones, like a club. I'd hestitate to give them anything sharp or that needs proper grip.

Using complex tools like bandaging a downed ally is right out. At best, I could see them being taught to feed them healing potions.
>>
Any dm app with a monster database that is not dm minion? Dm minion doesn't show the entire stat block, and I'm surprised not to find another app like it...
>>
>>50019445
Thats fair, that's probably what I'd do as well. Is 6 int high enough that if they were given a magic item that allows them to speak a language that it could talk? Doesn't really matter just curious.
>>
>>50019745
Well, Gorilla's in real life can be taught to speak sign language, so I would imagine such an effect would work.

You're basically dealing with something a couple steps down from caveman. They can use basic tools, follow simple instructions, and are capable of somewhat advanced thoughts and communication. They won't be doing things that require lots of steps, like making fire or building a stone axe, or speaking verbosely.
>>
File: I was not prepared for this.png (741KB, 524x562px) Image search: [Google]
I was not prepared for this.png
741KB, 524x562px
Can a Mystic use Beacon to create ultraviolet light?

Pic unrelated.
>>
File: Emissary of Iambia.jpg (29KB, 288x444px) Image search: [Google]
Emissary of Iambia.jpg
29KB, 288x444px
>roll Oath Paladin myrmidon-type character like pic related
>go around telling the PCs and every NPC I meet that I'm an emissary from my distant island homeland and I have a message for their king
>never tell DM or players what my oath or message is
>3 months of this until we finally get an audience with the king
>loudly inform king that four years ago a ship of his crashed on my homeland and his sailors ate my people's sheep without permission
>DM/King confusedly asks "Is, uh, is that your message?"
>Get up irl and change song from DnD playlist to 'Lose Yourself'
>Group shifts around in their seats nervously
>Whisper "No, THIS IS"
>Pull out smuggled shortsword from tunic and tell DM I am going to roll to throw the sword at the king like a knife
>EVEN WITH DISADVANTAGE I HIT
>DM facepalms and tells us to roll for initiative. King still isn't dead
>I roll less shit than everyone else
>Charge throne, vault guards and shank king twice with paring knife for good measure
>King/DM mutters "Dude... seriously?" as the king dies
>Oath completed, stretch my arms outward and look to the heavens in a Christlike fashion
>A smile graces my lips as a dozen spears pierce my body and my Gods welcome me into the Fields of Elysium
>Last thing I hear is my party being slaughtered in ensuing scuffle behind me

So yeah that's how I became my group's “That Guy”. The two party members that were smart enough to surrender to the guards are now in jail, and everyone else is RRing characters.

Got any good epic moments from your campaign recently, /5eg/?
>>
>>50019825
I mean, if the Mystic is even aware that ultraviolet light even exists, why not?
>>
>>50019909
What are the scenarios where one would discover ultraviolet light? Could a Mystic just attempt to create light of a color they don't know exists, or do they have to think of the color? It just says the color can be whatever you want.
>>
>>50019942
Well, I'd suggest that, if the leap from visible light to infrared light can be made in the 1800 on our world--without magic--then the intuitive leap for ultraviolet can't be that far behind. Proving it, though, would be difficult.
>>
Anyone have rec's for paper mini stands/holders? Figure I could print some out to use instead of 3d minis.
>>
>>50019840
>good, epic moments?
No, you just went full retard and ruined the game for everybody else.
>>
Dwarves call humans "manlings".
Creatures about half the size of humans are "halflings".
Thus, humans = lings.
If a human and a halfling reproduce, would the result be a threequartersling?
>>
>>50019942
One of the problems inherent in trying to create light in a color that you don't exist is that it's not something that the human mind can really do.

For an example of what I'm talking about, try to imagine a new color.

But hey, maybe the Mystic can see or somehow imagine ultraviolet light. I would really ask the DM. If you are the DM, just let him do it. The Light spell is never going to be powerful enough to cause a sunburn or any kind of damage, short or long term.
>>
File: IMG_0248.jpg (95KB, 736x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0248.jpg
95KB, 736x800px
Just ended my first session DMing. People seemed to dig it, even though an NPC War cleric nearly clove the tiefling in twain with a Great Weapon if you catch my drift.
>>
>>50019992
I figure it'd be a Stoutheart/Tallfellow halfling, myself. Sort of like how, in old FR lore, human + dwarf was "taller than average dwarf" or how Stout halflings are reputed to be dwarf/halfling crossbreeds.
>>
>>50020019
>2E has Dwarves with a serious fertility issue, taking human women to reproduce instead
>the offspring are full Dwarves, but taller
>presumably these tall Dwarves also wind up taking human brides on occasion
Where the fuck are my 6'3" Dwarves?
>>
>>50019942
While I don't think past material ever said ultravision was flat-out ultraviolet light vision, they did say that infravision (Dwarves, Elves) was flat-out infrared light vision (with Dwarves even being able to change their own fucking body temperature).

So Drow scholars probably know that UV light exists.
>>
Druid is my crutch... I'm too afraid to try other class. Help me /5eg/.

the reward will be 50gp each
>>
>>50019840
Never go full retard.
>>
>>50019119

Been really enjoying it so far but I haven't gotten to the meat of the adventure yet. Giants are gnarly as fuck to fight.
>>
Is there any good potion making homebrews?
>>
>>50020098
If you pick Paladin and boost your Charisma at level 4 you get +11 to your Charisma saves at level 6. You also get a minimum of +4 to every other save.
>>
>>50020169
Also everyone within 10 feet of you gets +4 to every save. So that's pretty good. You get to be the guy that stands and challenges the enemy, a beacon of justice inspiring and empowering your allies.

Because as we all know, we are made stronger by those we fight for.
>>
Honest question, have you guys ever met any cute girls when playing with randoms at a local store or whatever?
>>
>>50020143
Either everyone here is playing STK wrong or my DM is just doing whatever the fuck he wants.
>some kooky giant wizard sends us to Goldenfields and tells us he thinks fire giants are supposed to attack it
>have read stories that it's the hill giants or something there
>nope, fire giants show up and start tearing shit up
>kill a bunch of exploding elementals and orogs
>giants start lumbering over at us
>we're level 4
>run the fuck away and say goodbye to our treantbro who's surely going to get incinerated as we flee
>he tells us to touch him
>casts Super Enlarge Person on the entire party
>we're now giant-sized with double HP, temp HP, and bonus damage on hit
>proceed to kill two fire giants before the spell ends
wew lads
>still level 4
>>
>>50019802
Seeing as a UA ranger's animal companion also gets ASIs, what's stopping someone from increasing their ape's Int until it's smarter than your average barbarian or cleric?
>>
Anons? Which would you rather have as an official PC race:

Dragonlance's half-dwarves, which were more "half-elves, but dwarven bonuses"?

Or muls without the grimdark "mother always dies in childbirth, all muls are sterile" crap built into their lore?
>>
>>50020199
I went to an AL game once and there were 3 girls and 2 guys. Everyone was cute except me and the female DM.
>>
>>50020225
Muls because Dark Sun is a thousand times cooler and more metal than any other setting.

Also, the mothers don't ALWAYS die. And what's wrong with being sterile? You are an adventurer, on ATHAS, no less, you're going to die before you can possibly do anything with your dick.
>>
>>50020201

That might be a special event for that siege, because we didn't have anything like it. You can pick what town you go to after meeting that kooky giant wizard, we went to bryn Shandar. We had some (largely weak) NPC allies to protect but no buffs like what you had. We had to fight 3 frost giants and 2 winter wolves, was a pretty tough fight. Fire giants are tougher so that might be why you get a buff for that fight.

Even the frost giants hit for 3d12 though.
>>
>>50020199
Yeah, I ended up dating her for a few months until we realized that neither of us really had anything in common except roleplaying.

>>50020201
Your DM is probably just doing whatever the fuck he wants, because the meat of the adventure is supposed to start at level 5. Either way, as long as it's fun you're good.

>>50020225
I would prefer muls exactly as they are in Dark Sun, because they're the best fucking race.
>>
What purpose do Giants serve in your games?
>>
>>50020245
Yeah, I don't know what a bunch of levels 4s is supposed to do against two guys with three attacks per round with +11 to hit, AFTER resources have already been used in fights against super-orcs riding axebeaks and elementals that blow up and AoE when hit, but the buff was cool. Treebro was a true... treebro.
>>
>>50020098
I'm not sure how to help you. Every class is cool in its own right. Perhaps just read more on other classes and see what it is that draws people to them. I think it's possible in 5e to sell pretty much any class to a player. At least in my experience.

What is it about Druid you like? Cleric, Paladin and Ranger can all be played with a similar nature affinity. There are also other full casters, if it's the magic that you're drawn to. If it's the shapeshifting, why not try playing a pet class instead?

I'm a believer in playing characters and not classes, and I find that just reading the PHB inspires me to play different ones. I wasn't too interested in Warlock at first, but when I saw the charlatan background recommendation, it brought a character to life in my head: the fast talking swindler-type peddling pig shit to people. So I familiarized myself more with what Warlocks were capable of and began imagining all the different kinds of characters someone might want to play and how Warlock fits perfectly with that.

So maybe instead of thinking what class features you'd get, think about what kinds of characters would embody that class. A Warlock for example could be anything from a burly, egomaniacal warrior who sold his soul to the devil to a sweet, innocent girl who grew up with an "imaginary friend" that protects her to a glib, handsome man in love with the Queen of Air and Darkness and draws his blade for her to a dude who found a book and its driven him mad to a creepy old lady who curses those who offend her. They're all just Warlocks.
>>
>>50020163
There's a million potions from older editions (surprisingly this is one of the places where the DnD wiki is useful). Also, if you need a potion on the fly, just pick a spell and the potion mimicks the spell. Remember that because anyone can use a potion, even low level spell effects should be rarer than their spell scroll counterparts.
>>
>>50019980
I just got the Pathfinder mini PDFs and printed them at my job (before I had to quit). Even if you buy them off amazon, they're still cheaper than regular minis.

If you do buy them, for the love of all that's holy buy an extra pack or two or bases. You'll thank me later.
>>
>>50020259
Excuses for Dwarves to do rad as fuck things.
>>
>>50019840
I'm trying to be mad at you but I just can't
>>
>>50020259
At the moment, they're the "shits getting too real for us" alarm.
>>
>>50020259
Giants are tall people that used to have a huge empire thousands and thousands of years ago, but have either all but disappeared, or in the case of Hill Giants, serve as an occasional pest to cattle farmers.
>>
>>50020286
>>50020302

Where did they come from?
>>
>>50020309
How did they fall? What's left of their civilization?
>>
File: Slithering Tracker.png (2MB, 1187x1558px) Image search: [Google]
Slithering Tracker.png
2MB, 1187x1558px
Hey guys here's a slithering tracker. It's a gross monster that happens when you suck all of the moisture out of someone's body.
>>
>>50020267

You should be level 5 for that fight but it's still quite rough. I really like how dangerous the adventure feels it makes it actually feel epic. I was expecting CoS to be much more lethal than it turned out to be for my group.
>>
Glyph of Warding takes an hour and 200gp to cast. You can replicate any 3rd level spell or lower and put it in a fucking book or something, and it'll stay there forever--provided you do not move the glyph more than 10 feet. If you rest, the glyph remains charged, and you still regain all your spell slots. Spells that require Concentration last for their full duration on a target that activates the glyph.

What's the most bullshit thing you can cast with your remaining spell slots before you rest, then activate "for free" when the party wakes up and sets out?
>>
Anyone got a fantasy train map?
>>
>>50020339
>Spend weeks just casting spells into one scroll/book
>one shot BBEG by opening the book
>>
>>50020318
Essentially they had a big war with dragons that almost wiped out both species.

After the dragon war, the remains of their empire ended up crumbling because the small folk (who were either ignored or enslaved) decided that it was time that they carve out a place for themselves in the world. Giants take decades, if not centuries to plan out societal progress, and so they were completely unprepared for even a minor rebellion.

However, that was thousands of years ago, and the actual events that transpired have long since passed into legend. Every noble family is proud of the fact that they can trace their family line all the way back to some giant-slaying hero of legend (even though most of these figures were fictional).
>>
>>50020399
You have to lure him to the spot, but yes.
>>
>>50020457
Didn't read the part where the object can't move, oops. I guess its a really effective way of protecting an area if you know they're coming.
>>
How are warlocks to play? I know they're not the tippity top casters like wizards and bards but they seem solid enough and fun to play. Thinking about making a fiend pact tomelock with elemental adept so I can just be a fucking pyro.
>>
>>50020443
>Essentially they had a big war with dragons that almost wiped out both species.

>tfw came up with this sort of lore for my setting too
>realized this week how that's literally what happened in canon/FR and also what happens in at least half of all settings

a-at least it's a classic
>>
>>50020543
They're fine.
>>
>>50020546
Don't worry anon, I thought I was original too. It works though because of behirs and rocs and things described as being invented by giants to kill dragons.
>>
> That one guy who still don't know what to roll when he attack or do skill check
> Eventhough he rolled the dang thing so many time that I can remember all his +bonud by heart
>>
>>50020543
They are less spell caster and more of an Eldritch Blast cannon.

You might throw a few spell here and there to control and solve problem but that wouldn't be your main thing.
>>
>>50020213
can a smart enough gorilla learn spells?
>>
>>50020566
Yeah, after the inital 'well fuck' I realized it was pretty nice that there's already lore to draw from. Plus there's always little bits of flavour you can add to make it unique to your setting.
>>
Why does shapechange even exist when True Polymorph also exists.
>>
>>50020620
No. Maybe when the campaign end.

They can't even take feat.
>>
>>50020636
True polymorph replace all your game statistic with the creature. That mean your wizard can't cast his spell anymore, since he lost his wizard spell casting class feature.

Shapechange let you retain class feature, feat and other ability.
>>
When you're perceiving through a familiar's senses, how is passive Perception and Investigation handled? I've been searching for a ruling, but haven't come up with anything official.
>>
Anon who imagedumped Emrakul, that's not even my work but you guys good constructive feedback. This is why the /5eg/s are excellent.
>>
>>50020098
you enjoy being incapable of doing damage?
>>
>>50020620
Only if it takes a level in wizard.
>>
>>50020816
> Conjure Animal
> laugh
>>
File: 1440641113763.jpg (1003KB, 4500x4334px) Image search: [Google]
1440641113763.jpg
1003KB, 4500x4334px
>get crit
>max damage
>another attack
>roll 1
>max damage
>roll 1
>die
>>
>>50020342
Try this. It's a map of cars for an Eberron lightning rail I cut up and image-masked for Roll20.

https://mega.nz/#!McFjhILa!vAeFQxnGNSz6ktZQ6jhHRoc96V4ewDbuWo8ndrmJUwQ
>>
>>50020855
>summon 8 elk
>initiative a few down the order
>you take damage a few times
>concentration breaks
>>
>>50020643
It isn't written that they can't get feats.
Remember that feats is an optional rule, and if it's on you can forgo your ASI for a feat. Pets get ASI as well. I don't see why a pet wouldn't be able to get feats
>>
>>50020986
>https://mega.nz/#!McFjhILa!vAeFQxnGNSz6ktZQ6jhHRoc96V4ewDbuWo8ndrmJUwQ

Awesome, thank you!
>>
>>50020098
When I feel like I'm playing in a rut, I usually try pull a 180, and play a character that contradicts the previous one in some way. In your case I'd go for a non-casting class or a paladin.
>>
What are decent online sites for D&D as a player?
>>
>>50020999
i think they spawn around you
>>
>>50021018
It already in sageadvice. If you want to have a go at rule lawyering bullshit, at leasy get all your fact up to date.
>>
>>50020338

> CoS to be much more lethal than it turned out to be for my group.

Try playing it with a three PC group. Ouch.
>>
>>50020999
> try to change goal post
> didn't even knew that conjure animals get initiative as a group
>>
>>50021048
Reddit
>>
>>50021018
By RAW, the rule stated what the companion can do, not the other way around. Since feat isn't one of the thing it can do, it doesn't get a feat. If you want to argue further then, the RAW stated that you have to forego Ability Score improvement class feature for a feat. Animal companion never get that feature, since they their ability score increase is the result of Ranger's ASI, not itself.

By RAI, Mike Mearl said no.
>>
File: 1472558600416.jpg (34KB, 470x539px) Image search: [Google]
1472558600416.jpg
34KB, 470x539px
>>50019840
This is why it's important to always have your DM informed of your intentions with your character. A good DM will accommodate your story requirements and will plan an encounter accordingly to create maximum in-game drama and get everyone involved in the story.

When you decide to not tell ANYONE about your character's motivations, this kind of thing happens. Yeah, it was probably super awesome for your, but your playgroup probably hates you for getting several of their characters killed and your DM most likely despises you for tossing his plot out the window.

This is the second-worst possible timeline. Bravo on having a DM that will at least allow that kind of thing to happen at all, though.
>>
>>50021249
>tell dm about how character will react to upcoming issue
>he doesn't care
>it comes up and your character reacts how you said he would
>dm gets mad
i guess good dm is the key word
>>
>>50021249
I agree. Let your DM know what the hell it is you want to do. Especially if you want to be a dick.

As a DM, I provide actual Character Hooks that give hints to what's going to happen, so they can help themselves to plot hooks.
>>
So what's it like just randomly join a roll20 group? There are no local groups for me.

my friends got me to make a character for their campaign - but that's in two weeks. I've made 3 characters and really into it.
>>
File: Blood Thirst Rules.png (25KB, 402x230px) Image search: [Google]
Blood Thirst Rules.png
25KB, 402x230px
Question about having Vampire PCs, with blood thirst should they get some kind of scaling with level?

Like D6+level of Necrotic damage / Healing?
>>
>>50021384
It can be awkward and it's a huge gamble whether you get into a decent game or not. I haven't had a decent time as a player within the 4 or 5 times I've joined people's campaigns, but I've had success as a DM, personally.
>>
>>50021116
>pointing out obvious flaw of the spell, changing goalposts
They, as a group, roll 1 d20 as their initiative. There is a slim chance they will act before the opponents.
>>
>>50019720
Yeah, there's this great app called a pdf reader paired with a pdf of the monster manual senpai
>>
I'm going to run the storm kings thunder campaign soon, in chapter 2 it describes 3 starting towns, there locations quests and then being attacked by Giants, if I pick one do the others not get attacked? Or are they attacked at some time the players go there? Or are they attacked and with out the players there to help they suffer great loss of life
>>
>>50020999
Who's dealing damage to you several times when you have 8 creatures on the field to mark opponents? Either they're taking AoOs or they have disadvantage to their ranged attacks.
>>
>>50021401
There are many way for Druid to overcome concentration check (including using conjure animals itself). You are trying to steer the conversation toward that, instead of accepting the fact yhat your previous statement about Druid not being able to do damage is fault.

You are wrong. That about it.
>>
Does anyone who uses the Shaped Sheet on Roll20 happen to have a monster database lying around?
The companion script for it mentions it can import monsters from user created databases, but I haven't been able to find any.
>>
>>50021082
The range is 60ft. You can choose where they spawn.
>>
>>50021546
You can just drag-and-drop from the compendium into it. You need API access to import from a database even when you do get it, which is $5/month extra.
>>
>>50021384
Any /tg/ games going on right now? I'm looking to join one
>>
>>50021624
I know I can use the compendium, but the compendium doesn't have everything in the Monster Manual, it only has stuff from the SRD.

Also, I have API access.
>>
>>50017853
Items sell for half price generally, less if they were salvaged from monsters (backstory items could be treated similarly).
>>
>>50021723
Longbow: 50gp, half of that is 25gp
Shortbow: 25gp, where is the issue here?
>>
File: abilities.jpg (45KB, 370x212px) Image search: [Google]
abilities.jpg
45KB, 370x212px
For a 30 CR creature, are these abilities too powerful or not powerful enough?
>>
>>50020098
Play a battlemaster fighter, it's just good.
>>
>>50021844
what happens if you start on the ground, fly, then land and continue on the ground? Is everything knocked prone, dealt radiant damage, then got difficult terrain put under it and takes double damage?
>>
File: 1472984668856.png (759KB, 994x545px) Image search: [Google]
1472984668856.png
759KB, 994x545px
>>50022367
I believe so, I guess a clause so it can only expend its movement on a turn for only one type of movement is needed?
>>
Is there a good Warlord homebrew?
>>
File: Banned_for_Degeneracy.png (59KB, 1505x296px) Image search: [Google]
Banned_for_Degeneracy.png
59KB, 1505x296px
>casually browsing giantdicktip thread
I don't even care. I hope she didn't even break a real rule.

By the way, what's your opinion on Darkvision as a requirement for playing a good bow wielder?
I'm rolling an Archery Fighter and torn between Human and Half-Elf/Elf
Ways to mitigate not having it, like Lights or Dancing Lights in the group?
>>
>>50017617
Thanks for making that. I abstractly assumed that was the case but it's nice to see it illustrated.
>>
Have you or another player you played with ever tried to lay/court a dragon? How did it end up for you?
>>
>>50022528
Anywhere from success, to amusement, to death.

The player learned Dragons are into BDSM, and they're all doms, meaning mating between dragons is a churning and violent event.

Those old enough take the shape of a compatible creature with echos of their true nature, those younger aren't too big to cause significant physical problems. Younger dragons tend to be more receptive to this offer, and they're impulsive and see it as another form of rule or domination.
>>
>>50022451
What the fuck is that about and what are you blathering about?
>>
>>50022634
How important is Darkvision to be a successful bow user? Obviously the setting and themes of the campaign matter a lot.
The thread in the pic was some people talking about its importance to Rogues/Thieves who presumably prefer to operate at night, and how humans are at a distinct disadvantage by not having Darkvision.

A situation today made me begin to worry about it:
>in a dimly lit area
>can stealth to attack with advantage
>disadvantage is imposed because I can't see very well
>effectively get to attack normally
I guess it's not all bad?
>>
>>50022688
What about this?
>casually browsing giantdicktip thread
I don't even care. I hope she didn't even break a real rule.
>>
I'm currently trying to figure out a backstory for my healer character, and I'm not sure how to go about his goal:
An old healer from a small village returns from a trip to find his friends, family and everyone else in his hometown cursed by spirits, turned to undead thralls as a punishment for the evil lord/some other thing. He locks his family in the basement of his house before leaving to seek a way to undo the curse.
Thats the gist of it anyway, I'm just not sure who he should go to for it, or who would be able to undo the curse.
>>
>>50022723
>>
Why is Legendary Resistance/'x is greater than 3' a bad idea for godlike entities?
>>
>>50023538
Tiamat gets Legendary Resistance (5/Day)
>>
>>50020201
Sounds like he used the Triboar quest instead
>>
>>50020201
>>have read stories that it's the hill giants or something there
He mixed things up and surprised you. Sounds like a good dm. Hope you enjoy your campaign!
I'm actually dm for a SKT group thats gonna reach triboar in a few sessions. But now I kinda want the treant to be there.
>>
>>50021478
Up to you.
It suggests running the attacks if and when the players arrive during chapter 3 or 4, but that might seem a bit contrived.
I think I'm going with the assumption that they were dealt with by other adventurers (the players' previous characters or characters they roll in the future)
>>
How would you go about making an Ansei from Elder Scrolls? Their schtick is being swordsmen of such talent they don't need armor, or swords, as they can create swords from their own spirit.
>>
Dark vision should not be a feature on as many races as it is, and it should come with disadvantages of added by race.
>>
>>50023824
I wouldn't. Muh references never makes for a good character. But if kirkbride was holding a gun to me:
Bladelock,with a patron refluffed as a teacher.
>>
>>50023824
Eldritch Knight, or Immortal Mystic if that's allowed.
>>
>>50018991
Vengeance paladins do not have 'you cannot harm innocents'.

If those villagers are victims of your sworn enemy, you are breaking the tenets of vengeance.
If those villagers aren't, you're just being a dick if you kill them.

The DM was a That DM, but you weren't exactly perfect yourself. Still, what you did was true justice.
>>
>>50020259
Slaves to ancient wizards
>>
File: 1451767220045.jpg (314KB, 800x949px) Image search: [Google]
1451767220045.jpg
314KB, 800x949px
>party of 6
>everybody is human, so they think
>actually not human, have darkvision
>get devil's sight
>nobody can see in the dark normally. Also be the only one capable of casting the 'light' spell.
>be the least sneaky person in the party, by far, the only one with disadvantage on stealth and a negative modifier to it.

I am the thing that goes CLANG in the night.

>>50022688
You do not get disadvantage in dimly lit areas, it's just harder to identify targets in the first place.
>>
>>50020311
When a mommy giant and a daddy giant love each other very much...
>>
>>50022759
A god could fix the curse. Maybe he believes pious and compassionate service might earn him a divine boon.
Alternatively, work it out with your Dee Em to have there be some specific spell or artifact that will save them, but the Dark Lord Antagonus has possession of it
>>
>>50023989
or drink lots
>>
File: large.jpg (66KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
66KB, 500x366px
Guys, I'm trying to design a spooky swamp monster (murderous evil spirit, to be extact). But I can't think of any cool abilities to give him. I don't want to go full WELL YOU CANT KILL HIM HE WILL RESPAWN IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SWAMP AND WILL TRY TO RAPE YOU AGAIN. Also he should be strong - he's a "boss" for a party of five 10 level characters.
Help please?
>>
>>50024111
>his giants don't know about consent

Checketh thine privilege, duke of manure!
>>
>>50023981
>be the only Darkvision guy in the party
>also the tank, first-guy-in-line, and plate-armoured
>have to walk into every dark cave or nighttime outpost first to scout since no one can see shit without a lantern, but that would give the game away
REEEEEEEEE
>will develop the ability to teleport between shadows in two levels
>>
>Invited to friend of a friend's game
>Roll pretty decent so I decide to go Sun Soul Monk
>Rest of the group have pretty fucking awesome rolls and are all variant human (PM Paladin, GWM Barb, Cleric/Wizard with druid cantrips)
>Flashforward 5 levels
>Everybody is at least attuned to 2 magic items (weapons, shields, armor, etc)
>I have 0 magic items unless you count healing potions (which they also have)
>"GM, I noticed that we didn't find any magic item that my character can use...why is that?"
>"Well, you're unarmed and unarmored"
>"Yes, but there's stuff like a medallion that improves my unarmed attacks or vambraces of defense...even rings..."
>"Oh, you misunderstood me, you can0t be disarmed or caught by surprise while unarmored, you're essentially always armed and armored, and that's why you don't get magic items"
>Long argument about this bullshit
>GM totally think this is fair and that people having +1 to AC and saves, +1 to hit and damage and an extra +1d6 to damage while I have only what my class gives me is fair
For fuck's sake the wizard has more AC than me, everybody has more AC than me and deal more damage
Strike 3 so hard, fuck this game
>>
>>50024133
Make them fight the swamp first, the boss is just the the swamps hit points incarnate.
>>
>>50024371
>You can't be disarmed therefore you're stronger than people with weapons
I hate this meme so much.
>>
>>50024264
>>be the only Darkvision guy in the party
This is quite an accomplishment with how many races have it.
>>
>>50024701
Probably a bunch of featfag variant human characters
>>
>>50018590
Mounted combatant+UA cavalier+lance+ shield+ dueling is GOAT. So much fun. Bonus points if your DM doesn't saddle you with just horses. Getting stuff like spiders or riding lizards or the War Ostrich mount from tome of beasts are a good way to stirrup renewed interest once the class starts feeling like a one-trick pony.
>>
I wanna be a halfling ranger. Will I regret it? Is there anything a ranger could do better than other classes? Is there a reason to pick ranger besides being able to ride medium creatures?
>>
>>50024264
Oh, forgot, there was a 7th person joining who also doesn't have darkvision, but isn't a human

There's a few non-variant humans. Probably two.
And..

I'm sort of the tank as well. I have the most durability if you include stuff such as self-healing and GTFO buttons, but usually it's one of three people at the front, and generally light isn't a problem.

Not to mention, if I went first, I'd fail all the stealth checks, almost gauranteeably.
>>
>>50024701
Most people choose variant human because muh feat.
>>
>>50024734
Oh, I forgot to give a story.

I'm kind of insistent on bringing my horse wherever I go; if the horse has to stay behind, I'll typically stay behind with it. One dungeon, though, I was particularly needed, and has to rush to battle on foot. we had the druid make Horse levitate to the end of this chamber so it could bypass a steep fall to join a battle, and before it could reach the main enemy some goblins hopped on. I had to climb up my floating horse to fight off goblins while it was careening into the BBEG.

I also didn't fight conventionally that much; I focused on lassoing grunts and then dragging them through the dirt until I was satisfied that they were dead or willing to renegotiate the terms of our relationship.
>>
>>50017998
It's fucking miserable but I remember it fondly. Make sure you run it all the way through though.
>>
>>50024835
Would a War cleric of Bane have a good time?
>>
>>50024589
I guess Eldritch Knights and those blade pact warlocks are super strong then
>>
>>50024756
revised ranger is solid
>>
>>50024881
it would be an extremely painful time
>>
>>50023611
Do you have tiamat's stat block to view?
>>
>>50024914
He's a big god
>>
Halfling Diviner with Lucky feat...

Is it really worth having only +2 INT until level 8?
>>
>>50024921
Give me a second, it takes up a couple of pages.
>>
>>50024934
absolutely
>>
what's /tg/'s opinion on Mystic?
>>
>>50024934
Considering the gimmick invalidates any bad rolls and you could pick spells in a way that your mod scarcely matters, it's worth it.
>>
>>50024925
4U
>>
>>50024957
>>Looking forward to the final product I hope we get all the options in the pdf next Monday.
>>
>>50024957
Hard (read: foolish) to judge half a class, but that said it seems way too powerful.
>>
File: Untitled.png (717KB, 764x894px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
717KB, 764x894px
>>50024940
>>50024921
Sorry about the shitty crop, this was before Wizards understood that a stat block was supposed to be on one page.
>>
>>50024881

Was getting captured part of his plan?
>>
>>50025000
He's got a lot of loyalty for a hired gun
>>
>>50024756
Just realize you can't use a longbow because it's heavy and you're small. Ask your DM if you can have a different bow, or just sell the longbow and buy a shortbow or crossbow.
>>
>>50025030
I shouldn't say "can't use", but rather shouldn't.
>>
>>50025030
Is there a rule stating he can't use a longbow? I can see a very comical way for a Small character to successfully use one.
>>
>>50024991
In Tiamat's case, having extra legendary resistance is balanced by losing one if she's hit by something that would stun a creature that isn't immune to stun
>>
>>50025045
Maybe with a short longbow
>>
>>50025073
>Maybe with a short longbow
hahaha fuck off no

"short" is relative anyways. A longbow could be fashioned for a small character. it all as to do with draw weight anyways. a bow your size would allow you to get a stronger draw than a smaller bow
>>
>>50025095
This argument happened last night, and arguing the existence of relatively-sized bows became bait very quickly.
>>
>>50025163
Okay.
>>
>>50025163
But can I use a short longbow to hit someone in melee and get both Sharpshooter and Great Weapon Master?
>>
>>50025194
Yes, because nobody will ever actually try that except on a joke character due to the effectiveness and the character requiring extensive training in two contradictory feats.
>>
>>50024756
just make a wholeling halfling who uses a short longbow
>>
>>50025265
Okay, but should I be a divination wizard with the Lucky feat, or should I wait until 8th level for Sharpshooter and GWM?
>>
>>50025341
That depends, will the GM let you use the 8 foot gnome as a mount?
>>
File: 884.jpg (203KB, 637x442px) Image search: [Google]
884.jpg
203KB, 637x442px
A player bought a giant lizards mount and a lance for his kobold companion.
Should I be concerned?
>>
>>50025359
You should be concerned that your player is about to have a lot of fun .
>>
>>50023611
>>50024991
Tiamat's 5/day resistance is a gimmick in the adventure because she has 5 heads and the players can reduce that number through their actions in the game.

3/day is the standard.
>>
>>50023538
Legendary resistance in general is a bad idea. It's a shitty mechanic that isn't particularly fun, and only really seems fair if you have a metagamer who has read the monster manual on your party. I've started replacing it with other mechanics, and my boss fights got a lot more fun for the players.
>>
>>50025692
Do tell!
>>
So in my setting it is set in an ancient Greece/classical world. The PC's are travelers from citystate to citystate doing various things etc etc.

I know in the ruleset it says that attacks of opportunity can only occur when a player attempts to move while standing in a "threatened" space.

I created an "action" called "Form Phalanx" - so long as there are allies 5ft to your left and right you can use this action to "prepare" yourself (similar I suppose to a 'Ready' action yet you don't have to continually do it). Any enemy that moves within range of your spear you can expend a reaction to attack to represent a Phalanx being prepared to fight off a foe.

Does this sound okay? I reduced the movement speed to only 5feet representing the shuffling of the entire Phalanx forward instead of just waltzing ahead.
>>
File: gabe-newell_416x416.jpg (52KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
gabe-newell_416x416.jpg
52KB, 416x416px
>>50020043
DO NOT WANT
>>
>>50025708
Resistance that can be broken if certain triggers are met, with ample hints before and during the fight. Or instead of resistance, letting effects last a certain number of turns before they are guaranteed to be shrugged off.
>>
>>50020236
>Everyone was cute except me and the female DM.
I think that means you have to hook up with the DM. Sorry.
>>
>>50025692
Shut up casterfag
>>
I am porting the last bit of my campaign to Tabletop simulator, turning it into a boardgame of sorts where the party will have to wander a magical wasteland (Think STALKER but with magic based anomalies and mindfucks) in search of a vault where BBEG lies in wait while creatures bandits traders and exiles wander the sands.
All im lacking is a bunch of battlemaps for deserts, ruins, and mountains. Where do you get yours?
>>
>>50022418
>Is there a good Warlord homebrew?
it's called Battlemaster
>>
>>50025774
>Cast some debilitating effect
>Monster stopped for one turn
>Team gangs up
>Monster free again
>Debilitate
>Everyone pops novas and shit
>God is dead
>No one hurt
VS
>Cast some debilitating effect
>Hmm no, try harder next time kid :^)
>Battle is super serious
>Battle rages on and you can FINALLY land your hit
>No popping everything at once for huge guaranteed damage since you had to pop abilities during the hard part
>Monster has chance of recovery but your teamwork pulls through
>Worthy battle completed and campaign hopefully complete
>>
>>50021510
That's not how marked targets or ranged attacks work, and the conjured animals act on their next initiative. It's a big gap in time where they are standing still.

>>50021532
I'm not the one that said druids can't deal damage. I'm saying conjure animals is not a great damage spell despite the hype. In practice it is super easy to get a level 5 Druid to break their concentration before their turn. The party is fighting smarter monsters with multiple attacks at that level and even taking the resilient feat doesn't guarantee shit for keeping concentration. Moon druids can get into something with better Constitution and that's about it.
>>
>>50022418
Yes. I had a player use on from GITP and it they liked it and it didn't break anything.
>>
>>50025999
That's exactly how ranged attacks work. If there's a hostile within 5 ft. you take disadvantage on all ranged attacks. And summoned creatures don't automatically suffer from surprise so they can take a reaction at any time even if they haven't had a turn yet.
>>
>>50026007
Got a link?
>>
>>50017539
Is there any clarification on grappling and shoving prone. I read in a guide yesterday that when shoving prone while grappling the target remains grappled.

That seems REALLY powerful and like it almost makes the grappler feat useless.
>>
>>50020043
On Athas.
>>
>>50024974
Psionics have always seemed way too powerful desu.
>>
>>50026054
See I didn't think you would do that, because it cuts the damage by 2/3 because they can no longer charge. In which case you're back to not doing great damage.
>>
>>50026061
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386929-The-Warlord-now-in-5e!
>>
Is tome of beasts balanced? I'm looking to put a few creatures from the book into my game but i'm a bit wary of third party stuff.
>>
>>50026081
Yes, the target remains grappled
Yes, that is powerful
Yes, grappler is indeed useless
>>
>>50026200
Balance isn't really a great metric in 5e. Just compare to the DMG damage tables and see if the CR is calculated right.

A lot of the adventures are written by 3rd party and the custom creatures fuck up the CR math.
>>
>>50026200
>Tome of Beasts

If you're an intelligent DM, they're fine. Be careful of the Pathfinder mechanics holdovers (Ability Drain, etc), and download the errata from Kobold's website. Personally, I love the weird stuff in the book, like the Map Mimic.

Actually, the Mega Anon should probably include it in the Mega...
>>
Ok so, what the fuck. My DM created my "future self" and tried to persuade me from doing killing a woman by stopping time and him appearing in front of me.

>lvl 7 barb 9 wisdom, 12 int, 10 cha
>woman is cursed to summon a vrock, she is almost killed by her hometown and leaves for another town
>party tracks her down, wizard says there is no way to remove the curse with so little time left, must move her out of town before the demon appears
>ask the wizard if the curse will disappear if she dies, he says yes
>go to decapitate the woman
>time stops
>my future self appears consumed with guilt, begs me not to do it
>>
>>50026300
go on...
>>
>>50026300
Why wouldn't you just attack your future self? he can't do shit.
>>
>>50026337
he's probably stronger, no?
>>
>>50026349
And? What's he going to do, erase past-self?
>>
>>50026337
>>50026332
We ended on that note actually, my DM likes cliffhangers.

I'm probably just gonna kill her while time is stopped, so the party can't interfere. Then I'm going steel myself and manifest my own destiny, and accept that greiving will leave me a shell of a dwarf
>>
File: hecatonchires1.png (128KB, 464x887px) Image search: [Google]
hecatonchires1.png
128KB, 464x887px
I did it. I should not have done it, but I did it.

Thoughts?

I'm trying to stat more of the epic-level handbook for 5e. The epic level handbook is one of my favorite D&D sourcebooks of all time. I want to homebrew epic spells as a thing to quest for, just because I want shit like Nailed to the Sky and Hellball in the game. I know it clashes with 5e's identity so much but I want to do it anyway.
>>
>>50026238
I'm a bit worried, i haven't played dnd 3. anything so i'm not sure of what the holdover's are, is there anything in particular that's done in a weird way?
>>
>>50026359
Beat him into submission, restrain him. There's more actions to do beyond killing.

>>50026362
Tell your future self that if he didn't came back with some lotto numbers he can fuck off
>>
>>50026359
Well, he could just grapple you. And then he might decide that molesting you would be a nonlethal way to break up the combat, but in doing so he unwittingly causes a deep-rooted trauma that haunts him far into the future. Suddenly a vrock is the least of the future's worries, and Anon's future self is now a ruthless warlord who has laid waste to half the continent and weird-ass time traveling mutants start appearing in the present trying to kill his PC in order to prevent this terrible future from unfolding.
>>
>>50017539
Our party cleric is obsessed with spears and has told us that he's picking up spear master ASAP and will use a spear with his shield. Our dm explained that he can't cast somatic spells and use both hands at the same time. The cleric just huffed and said he'd make his shield into a focus. (We ended the session there) He already doesn't heal and uses all of his offensive spells on my PC when I do anything his character disagrees with.

Talking to him about it hasn't worked and he's basically planning on going martial, nonhealing life domain cleric.

My question is: can a shield be used as a focus? And if not, how do you handle stowing and pulling out of weapons in this sort of situation?

The guy already has no idea how actions work and thinks bonus action and free actions are the same thing.
>>
>>50026382
Don't they also have many heads, or was that only the original creature from greek mythology?
For some reason I'm thinking of statting this guy myself.
>>
>>50025979
>I attack
>You miss
>I attack
>You miss
>I attack
>You miss
>I attack
>You miss
>I attack
>You hit

Epic battle, m8. Totally worth an hour of my life
>>
>>50026531
Yup, like the symbol of his deity emblazoned on the shield or a gem encrusted in it or something.
But if it has somatics he's fugged
>>
>>50026531

Yes, you can put a holy symbol on a shield. However, he sounds like a real asshole so you shouldn't point out that spears do not qualify for polearm master.
>>
>>50026589
That is a completely separate issue than legendary resistance.
>>
>>50026531
>wants to use shield and two-handed weapon
>doesn't heal as a life cleric
>attacks other PCs
>doesn't know the rules for actions

Ask the DM to force the guy to read the rules. You can't use a two-handed weapon and have a shield at the same time because a shield takes one of your hands. The shield can however be a cleric holy symbol, so that's no problem. If he wants to cast a somatic spell, he can drop his spear, cast the spell, then pick up the spear again as part of his movement.

The DM should not let PCs fight each other. They can disagree but no good will come from PCs burning spells and resources just to beat each other up. Ask the guy out of game to knock it off, or else quit.
>>
>>50026558
"one hundred arms and fifty heads"

>>50026631
there's a spear master feat in UA, may be that

>>50026637
it's versatile m8
>>
>>50026589
>Implying attacks are save based
>Implying Tiamat would waste one of her few legendary resistances stopping a non-debilitating save based attack
Sure thing, anon.
>>
>>50026655
Derp I didn't even read the first paragraph of that line.
>>
>>50026622
Actually, if it has somatics AND material component (replaced by focus), he can hold the focus (his shield) while doing the somatics.
>>
>>50026558
They do, hence why I think I might buff their Wisdom or Passive Perception to insane levels. The program won't let me directly change PP though as far as I know.

Trying to decide what epic monster I should stat next. Probably Atropal, I love the idea of fighting a stillborn deity. Stuff from Fiend Folio, Elder Evils, etc. are all in the running, too.

Can you put 5e stuff on Drive-Thru or is that not allowed?
>>
>>50026655
Oh you're right. Reading the spear mastery feat:
+1 to attack, damage dice increased to d8, bonus action set to a charge, bonus action increased reach.
Sounds golden. Actually spear cleric guy is in the right. He shouldn't be attacking other PCs but otherwise he's fine.
>>
>Playing with new group
>Player x says what he wants to do
>DM says what he needs to roll and elaborates on what happens after the action
>I say what I want to do
>"Ok... so? What do you want from me?"
I don't play with them anymore.
>>
Our party's going to have about 1,500 gold left over once we get upgraded armor in town. It's Waterdeep, so we'll be able to get pretty much anything. What are some good things to pick up?

Are there prices for minor magical items beyond healing potions?
>>
>>50025979
>:^)

The top one is automatically better, hands down.
Fuck this cancer.

Aside from that, 'bosses are immune to status effects' is always a cheap 'something we made is overpowered so we'll just make the boss overpowered by being immune to overpowered things'.

It's done because it's necessary, but it's not an optimal solution.

An optimal solution makes it so status effects still work, but are neither necessary nor do they have the effect of completely locking down the boss's options.

For example, a stun might simply stun a specific limb.
>>
>>50026824
There is this. Decide yourself if its retarded or reasonable.
>>
>>50026362
>>50026300
Fuck time travel.
Fuck it in the ass.
Beg your future self to kill you so that they can create a paradox and fuck the world up.

Of course, it could just be a trick to make you not kill them.

Chances are you won't be crying if you do kill them, though.
>>
>>50026637
>>50026628
I think he just wants to use spear mastery. Not polearm. I still don't think it's a good idea though.

It's really hard to talk to the other players though because I'm the only one that has read the rulebook and doesn't just invent rules CONSTANTLY but I'm also best friends with the DM so I'm really wary of saying anything to them to avoid alienating the others.
>>
>>50026840
Your idea takes a sentence rule and replaces it with pages of text explaining new status effects and adding locations to monsters. I love RuneQuest, but 5e isn't RuneQuest.

Legendary resistance is there so that 5 players cannot curb stomp boss creatures at high levels, and it does that job extremely well.
>>
New to 5e

Do you add your Dex mod to damage rolls on a crossbow? I don't see any rules indicating you don't, but I figure you're just pulling a trigger.
>>
>>50026987
Yes, damage and accuracy for ranged weapons is dex based.
>>
>>50026382
>Multiattack: the hecatonchires makes 100 attacks

O-okay anon. I'll just w-wait here while you roll all those dice..
>>
>>50026945
Yes, it's 5e and 5e simplifies things.

It would be better if the DM went out of their way to plan for everything.

Still, I'll admit it's good for what it is. It's not out-right immunity, but rather it's limited in that there's only so many uses and so saves of lesser importance will still work, but if anything game-breaking happens they can negate it.

Still, 5/day is.. If you consider that a lot of saves may succeed already, that's a good number of saves they're gauranteed to make. The party would have to somewhat decide between going all-in on the saves or avoiding major saves entirely.

It's just nice to have the notion of having a powerful ability that you could potentially land, even if the chance is slim.

It's way better than status immunity to everything, but it's not quite as good as having a page for every single thing written by the DM themself for all possible effects the party may inflict. Probably not good enough to justify writing up all of that stuff instead of just using legendary resistance.
>>
>>50022723
>>50022774
Actually, after further reading of the thread, she is just a bitch and probably got banned for flaming. She probably has a high IQ, though.
>>
>>50026382
this is very stupid, i'm sorry.
>>
>>50026382
>it has the option or making a longsword attack, a rock attack or a multiattack which has no specified attacks assigned to it
So basically, it can only make one attack every turn?
>>
>>50027037
Oh, 5/day is shit. 3/day is a good number though.
>>
>>50024371
>debate him again
>GM cuts off your character's arms
>>
>>50027037
Tiamat may get extra legendary saves, but she has a weakness of losing them if a monk does flurry of blows + stunning fist enough times.
Other 5/day legendaries? Haha, good luck getting that flesh to stone off on God.
>>
Anyone have any games on roll20 that are welcoming new players?
>>
>>50027078
Yeah. The problem is that if a team prepares for it (5 portent wizards) then they could potentially seriously fuck someone over if they had the right stuff to not die in round one.
If they have only one person using CC, they might not have quite as much fun. Though, a monk does get a heck of a lot of stunning fists.

>>50027065
5/day is probably excusable for a monster that's supposed to be kind of 'fuck you' anyway.
>>
>>50024371
>tfw DM gives monk a buff that doubled their average damage
>tfw DM gives an item that gives someone pretty much advantage against any attack against them
>casters can cast ridiculous numbers of spells a day
>in the corner, with nothing but what the PHB book intended you to have
>other people are being able to do some of the things you can do while also doing things that normally restrict them from doing that
>still be awesome
Take that, magical items. Fuck you.
>>
>>50026385
Ability Damage; for example, a monster that reduces a character's Constitution score--I'd stay away from that. Its too complicated. The only Ability Damage that I'd use--sparingly--is Strength damage, and that's super rare.
>>
>>50026844
>Necklace of Fireballs
>One Bead: 300
>Two Beads: 480
>Three Beads: 960
>Four Beads: 1600
>Five Beads: 3840
who comes up with this shit
just buy several two-bead necklaces
>>
>>50027234
Yeah, I'm not fond of that rewrite. I just leave the prices as suggested in the DMG, and have a little subsystem for crafting, buying, and selling.
>>
>>50026844
>Robe of Items: number of items * 5gp
>the Robe can randomly have bags of 100gp, 10 gems worth 100gp each, 4x healing potions, horses, mastiffs, rowboats, portable rams, and portable doors/windows/pits
>walk into town and spend all your money on a robe of items, rip off all the patches, sell the goods back, and repeat
>>
>>50027260
I do like that rewrite for how much a PC can expect to sell an item for, but not for purchase since I'm not really a Magic Mart tm kind of DM. If they want to purchase a magic item, my party's going to have to do some legowrk, and they're rare enough that other than standard healing potions and potions of waterbreathing (since Merfolk & underwater adventures are a significant part of my setting) you'll need to know some thieves, merchants, or nobles to get anywhere.
>>
>>50027260
Basically the same here. I block crafting off by level and make it easier to make items and you haggle over sales.
>>
Anyone got any spoopy, fun one-shots ready for halloween that they'd be willing to share?
>>
>>50027828
There's Death House
and someone posted a good one about pumpkins and evil fey but I can't remember the name of it
>>
File: hecatonchires2.png (144KB, 464x1025px) Image search: [Google]
hecatonchires2.png
144KB, 464x1025px
>>50027062
Ahhh I fucked that up. Let me rewrite it.

>>50027022
>>50027048
Yeah it's a ridiculous monster. The Pathfinder one is better but it just feel right. I will change it to maybe 5 attacks per target? So if it was fighting a horde of enemies, it could turn them into dust with a huge rock volley, but against an adventuring party it can only do 5 attacks.
>>
>>50024991
>>50025057
>>50025380
She's also presumably the avatar of the god.
>>
>>50020856
Roll the dice, pay the price.
>>
>>50021673
bump
>>
Is it just me or do the names of the Maces of Smiting and Disruption seem switched?
Disruption is a light-shining, fiend-and-undead killing weapon, and Smiting destroys constructs more easily.
>>
So why do gold dragons breath fire and not radiant damage?
>>
>>50028629
Same reason why Black ones doesn't breath necrotic I assume. Plus it's been that way since way too long ago to change it without receiving some backlash.

You can always homebrew the type of damage though.
>>
>>50028629

Because that's how it was in 3.5. The Chromatic and Metallic dragons are in many ways elemental mirrors of each other.
>>
File: beast_by_soft_h-d9fijkr.jpg (280KB, 1000x640px) Image search: [Google]
beast_by_soft_h-d9fijkr.jpg
280KB, 1000x640px
So I've been seeing this barbarian/rogue multiclass meme for the past couple threads.

What is it? Why is it good? Is it a straight upgrade to one or both classes?
>>
>>50028657
And yet the highest metallic dragon is of higher strength than the highest chromatic dragon, and the lowest chromatic dragon is weaker than the weakest metallic dragon. Plus, there's no poison breath metallic dragon.
>>
>>50027037
You are going against a god though. Surely those numbers are warranted.
>>
>>50028675

Because as long as you're going dex barb, you can just furious attack all the time to get permanent sneak attacks. You also get 2 attacks per round (unlike a pure rogue), get the option to disengage and do helpful things with your bonus action, actually become good at some skills... It's basically a huge buff to the barbarian.
>>
>>50028737
What levels do I take of each class though? Barb 5 and the rest in rogue? How does it operate at lower levels?
>>
>>50028771

I'd recommend no more than Rogue 3. Go mastermind for team utility or assassin to be the world's angriest assassin. Assassin actually synergizes well if you can reliably get surprise rounds. Take rapiers, jump out of the shadows, and stab people to death with your crits.
>>
Is the revisited Ranger supposed to be balanced? Like favored enemy & natural explorer just seem to be too good for lv1 class features. Compare that to pretty much any other class features accessible at 1st level and it's just ridiculous.

I know the base class was bad, but that revision just seems busted
>>
>>50028771
Do a swashbarb, mix 9 rogue and 11 barbarian.
>>
>>50017794
Boy or girl?
>>
>>50028855
Playtest material always aims for the stronger side and is drawn back for their final revision. Expect Natural Explorer to have its features more distributed by the time it's in a hardcover.

That said, the revised ranger works fine in games. It's not that broken or exploitable.
>>
>>50028456
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNV4FMpGh8
>>
>>50018756
You don't get Sorcery Points until level 2.
>>
>>50028737
>Because as long as you're going dex barb, you can just furious attack all the time to get permanent sneak attacks.
>as long as you're going dex barb, you can just furious attack

Reckless Attacks only works with Str-attacks.
>>
File: image.jpg (394KB, 1600x1112px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
394KB, 1600x1112px
>>50025762
http://www.scout.com/military/deadliest-blogger/story/1416208-phalanx-vs-legion-closing-the-debate

You might find this interestig
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.