[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 350
Thread images: 28

File: Slithering Tracker.png (2MB, 1187x1558px) Image search: [Google]
Slithering Tracker.png
2MB, 1187x1558px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread >>50017539

Slithering Tracker Edition

What dark rituals commonly occur in your games?
>>
File: Deep in the Purple Worm.jpg (185KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
Deep in the Purple Worm.jpg
185KB, 500x731px
Is the revisited Ranger supposed to be balanced? Like favored enemy & natural explorer just seem to be too good for lv1 class features. Compare that to pretty much any other class features accessible at 1st level and it's just ridiculous.

I know the base class was bad, but that revision just seems pretty busted
>>
>>50028827
Would a wizard with a spell list mostly limited to illusions, enchantments, divinations, and a few other typical effects work well as a sort of Psion class?

As far as I've heard the existing psionic rules are kind of weird, so I was wondering if simply refluffing would be easier.
>>
What's your experience with roll20 and/or play by post forums? Do you use or frequent them?
>>
>>50028899
Roll20 is fine PbP seems like a good idea and never is.
>>
For world-ending threats, literal manifestations of gods and their ilk, Legendary Resistances should be statted to reflect that puissance.
They're not meant to be a pushover in combat and should laugh heartily at an opponent's attempts at wounding them.
>>
>>50021673
bump
>>
>>50028899
I was part of a play-by-post campaign over roll20; we'd play on Saturday and Sunday over 10-12 hours each day, and only post then (with the occasional downtime week-day roleplay for simple character chats and stuff). I liked it, and we had maybe 11? players at our peak so it was far less chaotic than voice would have been. Pretty slow pace, even with everyone posting once every 5-10 minutes, but it worked well and allowed for a lot more to happen at once.
>>
File: Froghemoth.png (2MB, 1187x1561px) Image search: [Google]
Froghemoth.png
2MB, 1187x1561px
>>
>>50028876
oops forgot to link the pdf
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf
>>
> DM Curse of Strahd
> Party goes to Old Bonegrinder
> Meets a strange raven there, who seemingly understands humans and tries to warn them against going inside.
> Goes to Blue Water Inn in Vallaki
> Meets a shitload of strange ravens there sitting on a roof
> Gets incredibly suspicious, but doesn't connect the dots
> Back to Old Bonegrinder
> Sees a strange raven there again - but this time a different one
> Threatents it with weapons
> Raven mockingly caws and flies away.
> Back to the Blue Water Inn.
> Tavern owner visits the party leader and offers him a quest
> Because he "heard they're risk takers and heroes"
> He doesn't get suspicious about how could he know that
They're about to visit Wizard of the Wines. If they go through the entire campaign without realizing that they have wereraven allies, I've won at Curse of Strahd.
>>
Tell me, is there something I missed, or is guiding bolt completely OP for a 1st level?
4d6 damage is enough to drop almost all creatures at this point.
>>
>>50029031
It can be cast twice per day, anon.
>>
>>50029031
It's once per day, and the average damage is 4 points higher than hitting something with a greatsword.
>>
File: main.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
main.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Here's my in-progress setting handbook.

How does it look so far, /5eg/?
>>
>>50029031
>completely OP
Hardly. Martials can put out that damage easily, it is eventually outclassed by cantrips, and it costs a resource better spent on Bless or Protection from Evil and Good.
>>
>>50029069
I swear to god, if it's catgirls homebrew again...
>>
>>50029081
Its not even close.
>>
If I invent dynamite/etc in a game, would you say it does force or thunder damage?
>>
>>50028876
Playtest material always aims for the stronger side and is drawn back for their final revision. They also frontload stuff so they can be playtested more quickly Expect Natural Explorer to have its features more distributed by the time it's in a hardcover.

That said, the revised ranger works fine in games. It's not that broken or exploitable.
>>
>>50029097
I would go for Thunder. Thunder is for shockwave type effects. Force is more of a weird null element thing.
>>
>>50029097
DMG pg. 267. Dynamite deals bludgeoning damage.
>>
>>50029137
> You can't kill a werewolf with explosives
This just doesn't seem right.
>>
>>50029137
>Need to tenderize steak
>No mallet? Not a problem!
See, that's why I can't be doing with that.
>>
>>50028975
Has the similarities this has to an Otyugh ever been discussed? Or did I just miss that?
>>
>>50029144
Dynamite is a saving throw, it's not an attack. Their immunity is to nonmagical attacks so they are just as vulnerable to dynamite as anyone else.
>>
>>50029144
You'd need silvered dynamite for that
>>
File: Tanarukk.jpg (261KB, 1275x1672px) Image search: [Google]
Tanarukk.jpg
261KB, 1275x1672px
>>
>>50028876
Favoured enemy is still only against one classification of monsters. In all possibility the only benefit is an additional language.
Natural explorer is now solid. It makes the Ranger no longer slaved to a single terrain type to be noticeably good at wilderness survival. So, at first level, they are now strong, if those favoured enemy is what thenDM is throwing at them.

However, they weaken considerably at later levels.
They don't get a second attack any longer, although some archetypes get equivalents. With the errata about magic bows, their offensive power takes a hit (munition loosed from magic missile weapons, such as bows or crossbows, are now considered magical themselves and thus incompatible with Ranger archery spells, all of which stipulate that they may not be used with magical ammunition).

Foe slayer is better... marginally. It still relies on secondary stat at best.

As casters, they are still slaves to spells known, leaving them far less flexible than anyone else who casts with wisdom. Also, their spells are still shit.

In short, the revision is only busted in comparison to the original. It starts strong, but any lead it has over other classes quickly disintegrates.
>>
>>50028979
Where is Ireena?
>>
>>50029069
I laugh at you for how much work you put into this. I hope your players like it.
>>
>>50029159
>being this autistic
>>
How do you like these dragon changes?
>Gold dragons have radiant breath
>Iron dragons now weakest metallic dragon, have poison breath
>New strongest chromatic dragon has thunder breath
I'm still thinking what color new chromatic should be
>>
File: bait elf.png (42KB, 249x284px) Image search: [Google]
bait elf.png
42KB, 249x284px
>>50029230
>being able to read = autistic
???
>>
>>50029205
I've given Ireena to one of the players in order to avoid a DMPC hanging out with the group. Through Donavich I've advised the party to dress her up in armor to disguise her as a man, so Strahd's servants won't recognize her.
It seemed like a good idea at the time (Ireena will have to fight for her life along with other PCs, since Strahd's servants won't know they're not supposed to harm the guy in the armor), but it turned out to be a huge mistake, since Ireena's player took it as "My character will never, ever talk in the presence of NPCs in order to mantain her disguise".
I'm kinda puzzled what to do with it now.
>>
>>50028827
>The DM's Guild is the primary appeal of 5e D&D.
Thoughts?

It certainly offers something interesting that the other editions have lacked.
>Original Content.
>Conversions of older material.
>Reliance on Customer Ratings in order to separate the wheat from the chaff.
>Far more manpower than WotC is willing to muster for D&D.
>Content continues to be produced and available, so long as there's interest in the game itself.
>>
>>50029325
DM's Guld produces homebrew, and my DM will never allow anything that didn't come out of books or unearthed arcana. I'm sure so will a lot of other DMs.
>>
>>50029325
>>The DM's Guild is the primary appeal of 5e D&D.
>Thoughts?
Not really at all. The primary appeal of 5e is how easy it is to get into and how smooth it runs in-play. The DMs Guild is mostly trash and people rarely leave ratings, let alone reviews.

The only stuff that gets big and get tons of ratings on there is stuff by people who already have a following, and the high ratings aren't necessarily because they're any good, just popular
>>
>>50029367
Published, and reviewed homebrew.

And a lot of it isn't character options, anyways.

You mean to tell me your DM would go out of his way to avoid using the monster writeups and adventures, regardless of their quality, simply because they weren't written by WotC employees?
>>
>>50029389
>People rarely leave ratings, let alone reviews.
Ugh.

>The only stuff that gets big and get tons of ratings on there is stuff by people who already have a following, and the high ratings aren't necessarily because they're any good, just popular.
What makes their content popular if it's not any good?

>The primary appeal of 5e is how easy it is to get into and how smooth it runs in-play.
Ah. Well, I have a hard time seeing the big appeal of that aspect, as I have found most RPGs easy to get into. (3.x, and GMing for GURPS notwithstanding).
>>
>>50029409
>Published, and reviewed homebrew.
Doesn't make it good, I gave up on D&D because of how much shit I've had to outright ban
>>
>>50029268
I'd go with either purple or yellow.
>>
>>50029268
Why though?
Gold dragons didn't deal radiant damage in previous editions.
>>
>>50029493
Four things.

>1. Why does everyone assume I'm necessarily talking character options rather than all of the stuff designed to help the GM?
>2. If you gave up on D&D, what do you discuss in the D&D 5e thread?
>3. Do you ban stuff in the PHB?
>4. Were you just letting players play using any DM's Guild option they wanted, without reading them over first, or something?
>>
>>50029217
The campaign is already ongoing. This is just a guiedbook for others, basically.
>>
>>50029191
>are now considered magical themselves and thus incompatible with Ranger archery spells, all of which stipulate that they may not be used with magical ammunition)
Depends on the spell. And for the two that care, Conjure Barrage and Conjure Volley, you can just throw a dagger. Or just about anything else, really.
>>
Why are beholders considered "the" DnD monster? Most fanart I see uses that as their monster of choice.
>>
>>50029518
Yeah, but it makes them more unique since, was it brass or copper that also has fire breath? Or Bronze? No one really cares about the metallic dragons lets be honest.
>>
>>50029755
They aren't part of the open game license, so along with Mind Flayers they're unique to D&D.
Also the captcha, lingwood, jsut remind me of wholeling halflings.
>>
>>50029755
Because unlike dragons, trolls, orcs, kobolds, undead or demons, beholders were entirely created by DnD.
>>
File: beholder_2000x1586.jpg (1MB, 2000x1586px) Image search: [Google]
beholder_2000x1586.jpg
1MB, 2000x1586px
>>50029755
>>
How would you stat a grim reaper's scythe?
>>
>>50030088
Scythe +3. If it hits incorporeal undead, the creature is destroyed, and it's soul is transported to the appropriate afterlife.
>>
>>50029304
You are not autistic, you are the autism incarnated triying to do a bait.
>>
>>50030135
Would you use strength or dex? The reaper doesn't strike me as a particularly beefy individual.

But then again maybe that's why it's a +3.

Related question:
>>
>>50030185
Ignore the "related question" bit.
>>
>>50029742
And do shitty damage that is in all likelihood reduced by the level you use the latter.
>>
>>50030185
I think that if Grim Reaper has to fight somebody, something has gone seriously wrong. Grim Reaper isn't exactly known for killing people left and right, he tends to appear after the fact.
>>
Is immunity to nonmagical attacks the absolute pinnacle in 5e?
There's nothing beyond nonmagical? Like immunity to below +3 weapons?
>>
Wizard; noun
An individual with phenomenal cosmic powers and no sense of right and wrong.
>>
>>50029788
Also Umber Hulks and Displacer Beasts.

And they still use the Gith and Slaadi, which Charles Stross invented (albeit stealing the name (and only the name Githyanki from something GRRMartin mentioned in a novel, in passing) for Publication in White Dwarf's Fiend Factory, and which they only had the rights to for printing in that single issue - They've been used illegally since the original Fiend Folio.

Stross simply didn't have the funds to take on the company to get his monsters back.

From what I understand, he still uses them in his non-D&D fiction from time to time, and WotC hasn't tried to bring him to court over it.

Read an interview with him a few years back. Interesting stuff.
>>
>>50030220
I like the idea of the grim reaper being a bounty hunter of sorts. Perhaps if someone has cheated death one too many times, or they've otherwise lived past "their time" and whoever hires the reaper, perhaps the Raven Queen, is just making sure that person doesn't go on living past what they're "supposed to."

So sure. I guess you could say in that case, something has gone seriously wrong.
>>
What did the Gith look like originally before they devolved into hideously fugly creatures?
>>
>>50030088
Probably closer to a wizard staff that can cast a Death spell while also functioning as a quarter staff style weapon with a +2 or +3

Definitely a strong artifact, but death strikes me more as a caster than a scythe fighter.
>>
Whats the opinion on allowing players to charm person/mind control other PCs?
>>
>>50030343

Probably the same, but less rotten
>>
File: ale and whores.jpg (121KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
ale and whores.jpg
121KB, 750x600px
Question, how much would buying a lifestyle permanently cost?

I'm having a really hard time figuring out stuff to spend my gold on. I got decent armor, sword and equipment.
>>
>>50029144
>Alchemists have a werewolf trapped in a magical forcecage from which it cannot escape
>Teleport in dynamite and see what happens
>Increase the power of the dynamite until no more werewolf
>>
>>50030431
my group has an unspoken rule about taking away other players agency.

If another player wants to "mind control" another, both players need to be on board BEFORE doing so.
>>
>>50030468
365 times the base.
>>
>>50030431
Depends on the group. (Just to get that out of the way)

But I'd say let them. Remember charm person isn't really a mind control spell, and most of the "mind control" spells are fairly limited in their usage. Suggestion being the exception, I suppose.

As a DM I'd let it fly and play out so long as the one doing the controlling isn't being a complete dick about it. It depends on their intentions. And if one player uses suggestion to force a player's character to do something like "go home," you can tell the player that "home" is whatever it means to them. Perhaps home is with their friends, AKA the group. There are any number of ways to cheese out of any real consequence. I also typically rule that people are aware they were charmed after it wears off unless the spell specifically says otherwise.
>>
>>50030367
I imagine reapers as warlocks, typically. As part of their contract they must spend a number of years (or eternity?) reaping whenever they are called upon to do so.

I guess I would agree in that case, they are casters. Perhaps I'd give the scythe some sort of reach and let them be "polearm masters" just for the purpose of defending themselves if someone comes in to close.
>>
>>50030500
That's not a lot. ~1,5k for a wealthy lifestyle.
>>
>>50030580
That's what happens when a game uses DM fiat currency.
>>
>>50030580
That more gold then most people will see in their lives.
>>
>>50030605
Yeah but.. Like.. My character is lvl 4.

Is my DM doing this whole "reward" thing wrong?
>>
File: penis bitch.png (64KB, 464x768px) Image search: [Google]
penis bitch.png
64KB, 464x768px
Working on stats for an atropal, what do you guys think?
>>
>>50030685
CR should be 32
>>
>>50029069
Did you use latex to make this?
>>
>>50030622
how many party members you got? at 5th level you should have ~500 gold.
>>
>>50030705
Why not 69
>>
File: 1411829822604.jpg (32KB, 475x400px) Image search: [Google]
1411829822604.jpg
32KB, 475x400px
if i want to multiclass paladin and warlock, what would be the best level split to look at? i definitely want at least 11 paladin. i was thinking 17 pal/3 lock, though 4 lock and 5 lock both look interesting.
>>
>>50030500
For a year.
>>50030580
Let's assume you want to live 20 years after retiring. Now it's 30k. Assuming 1 gold piece is 80 dollars (which is what I figured it to be, the prices in the book are wonky), that's 2.4 million dollars.
Before buying a house or any other large expenditures that wouldn't fall under lifestyle.
>>
>>50030740
that's just silly
>>
>>50030736
Counting me, 4.

We just cleared a tomb from some ghosts and some sort of wraith and we found a large amount of coins and jewels. After the split my character has ~1k GP in coin and a couple of hundred more in jewels and jewellry.
>>
File: Atropal.png (91KB, 464x877px) Image search: [Google]
Atropal.png
91KB, 464x877px
>>50030685
>>50030705
>>50030740
Oops, wrong image sorry. Here's the atropal. Don't know how spell like abilities work, sorry.
>>
>>50030747
What you really want is Paladin 11/Sorcerer 9. Warlock doesn't get Hypnotic Pattern.
>>
>>50030555
Yeah. I'd imagine the scythe is more for style when they're killing peasants.

If you have the embodiment of death though, they're probably going to be able to kill just by pointing at someone, so Finger of Death or Power Word kill fit perfectly, and lets them reap adventurers as well.
>>
>>50029069

I don't know why.. but I'm going to save this and read it cover to cover.
>>
>>50030468
Just develop a gambling problem. Your problems with excess wealth will vanish overnight!
>>
>>50030726
Yep!

>>50031000
A lot of the pages are just whitespace between chapters, so it's not quite as long as it seems.
>>
>>50029268
Why not make a Sun dragon that's an inverse of a shadow dragon?
>>
>>50029310
lol oh God.

Have you read about Krezk? Something Old (I think it's the name) could be hilarious.
>>
>>50030468
Sauce of image?
>>
>>50030630
Please no....
>>
Okay, since my players are VERY likely to learn the true identity and history of Van Richten soon, I need to get several questions cleared up. Please note that I'm asking about the new canon, in which Barovia is located in Shadowfell, not Ravenloft, and was always closed off.
1) What's the history between Van Richten and Strahd, exactly? Both Strahd and Barovia have been cursed for five centuries, and it's borders are closed to everyone but vistani and occasinally werewolves. Does Van Richten know a way to enter and leave at will somehow?
2) For how long has Van Richten been in Barovia? He apparently has a vistana apprentice, Ezmeralda AND a homebase in a tower, so it couldn't be that short. But it couldn't be that long either - there's no way he could stay under Strahd's radar for years.
3) Also, what is the relationship between Ezmeralda and Van Richten?
>>
>>50030231
There is immunity to piercing/slashing/etc in the MM. Just most allow magic weapons to be awesome.
>>
>>50031234
I've decided to cut Something Old from the adventure entirely, since Sergei is really fucking weird and creepy in this scene.
>>
>>50031282
Van Richten is from another domain in canon.
>>
>>50030231
>There's nothing beyond nonmagical? Like immunity to below +3 weapons?
There hasn't been anything like that in D&D since 3e (not 3.5e, but original 3e).
>>
>>50031321
Well, there are no domains in the new canon, only Barovia. I think I'll just give Van Richten vistani blood in order to make his story make sense.
One more question. There were three gems that allow wereravens to make their wines. One was stolen by the druids from Yester Hill. One was stolen by Baba Lysaga from Berez. One was stolen a long time ago by God knows who, but where is it now? I'm not sure the book says.
>>
>>50030858
>What you really want is Paladin 11/Sorcerer 9. Warlock doesn't get Hypnotic Pattern.
>Warlock doesn't get Hypnotic Pattern.

>Gaseous Form
>Hunger of Hadar
>Hypnotic Pattern
>Magic Circle

Did you mean Hold Person?
>>
File: Cg3cKLWUoAA1775.jpg (39KB, 478x529px) Image search: [Google]
Cg3cKLWUoAA1775.jpg
39KB, 478x529px
>wanna play a musician
>turns out they're really a super villian

How do you play as a Bard that isn't incredibly super evil? Like, it seems like most of their spells are specifically build around mind control. So I don't think I could justify playing a Good aligned Bard unless I just intentionally gimp my character by refusing to use those spells.
>>
>>50031530
Yes, I've noticed it too. Bard's spell list just begs you to play as a bad guy, which is why my valor bard was a pirate, who was given his mind control powers by Cthulchu.
>>
>>50031530
Being able to order people to do things doesn't make you a villain unless you use it villainously. You can still charm, dominate, hypnotize and suggest people, just don't tell them to do bad things.
>>
>>50031530
Play a pacifistic choir girl of a peaceful religion who uses mind control to defeat hostile creatures without having to kill them.
>>
>>50031506
Van Richten literally comes from a different domain. It's in the book which one but I forget. There is also the assassin cult from another domain referenced in the book with a mirror in Vallaki.

The third gem is left up to the DM entirely. I had some werewolves throw it into Lake Baratok along with all the silver coins and items the agents of Strahd steal.
>>
>>50031530
Use it in ways that force inaction rather than causing them to act against themselves.

For example, using Friends on a Kobold so he'll take a nap rather than sounding an alarm. Using charm person on the evil empire's soldiers to get a warforged spy past a blockade.

Basically, only use it for times where it's effectively a rather subtle Stun spell. Don't use it to steal or have people kill their friends. Use it against criminals and evildoers as a delay tactic.
>>
File: aassqe.png (195KB, 414x204px) Image search: [Google]
aassqe.png
195KB, 414x204px
What does it mean when it says "of the same kind?"
>>
>>50031862
If you gain a skill proficiency that you already have, you can choose another skill. If you gain tool proficiency, you can choose another tool proficiency.
Rather stupid rule, since feat Skilled, for example, equates skill proficiencies and tool proficiences.
>>
>>50031862
Skill or tool. If you doubled up on a tool proficiency, you can swap out for another tool one, not a skill one.
>>
File: you what.jpg (56KB, 247x567px) Image search: [Google]
you what.jpg
56KB, 247x567px
>>50031862
>of the same kind
>(skill or tool)
>>
>>50030747
6 (+1 spellcasting level if multiclassed with spellcasters that aren't warlock, +aura of protection) and 11 (improved divine smite, +spellcasting level if not multiclassed with spellcaster that isn't warlock) are critical paladin levels, I'd say.
5 (Extra attack, possibly spellcasting level), 7 (possibly more auras, possibly spellcasting level) and 8 (ASI, possible spellcasting up)are nice.

2 (agonizing blast), 3 (shillelagh) are the critical warlock levels. 5 (cantrip, +1 invocation, level 3 spells) is kinda nice.

I'd go warlock5/paladin11 and then do whatever with the last levels.
>>
Anyone have a a mega trove for 3.5?
>>
>>50031195
Shadow dragons come from the shadowfell, and the only other alternate plane coinciding with the material plane is the feywild, which I do not believe would transform someone into a radiant dragon. A tree dragon maybe, but not radiant. Besides, the point was to make gold dragons distinctive and not just "lol look at that it's just ripping off the brass dragon's weapon attack, what a loser for the strongest metallic dragon"
>>
>>50032301
Make a gold dragon breathe literal gold coins.

The dwarves enslave them to produce their currency.
>>
>>50032443
>inflation runs rampant in the mountainhome, details at 11
>>
>>50032247
https://mega.nz/#F!UsRUlLAR!-5YN6nV_QeOO97Gu6CE-sg
>>
Is there a compilation of all the Volo's Guide to Monsters leaks so far?
>>
>>50032705
I got you senpai.
>>
>>50032301
I remember that 4e fleshed out the feywild as four distinct courts based around the seasons. There could be four different feywild dragon templates.
>Spring court template is druidic
>Summer court template is radiant
>Autumn court template is wind
What could winter court be, aside from turning any other dragon into a white dragon but smarter?
>>
File: qM5ewmwPDS-2.png (21KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
qM5ewmwPDS-2.png
21KB, 300x250px
>>50031553
>powers by Cthulchu.
>>
Why shouldn't moon druid stay in crag cat form at all time, during downtime? Protection from all divination spell is pretty cool.
>>
>>50032882
>a white dragon but smarter?
That's a low bar.
>>
>>50032882
>What could winter court be, aside from turning any other dragon into a white dragon but smarter?
A silver dragon?
>>
>>50032748
I dont open spoilered images since I'm at work, sorry
>>
>>50033033

It's okay, he just gave you catgirls.
>>
>>50032987
>crag cat
what
you can only wildshape into beasts

>>50033033
it'll be there when you get back - I'm not doubleposting it
>>
Does anyone know how to extract images from a PDF? Alternatively, does anyone have the maps from Curse of Strahd Digital Maps.pdf as a .rar? The reason I don't want to just do a screencap of them is because they're very well drawn and detailed maps and I want them in their full resolution instead of squishing them all.
>>
>>50033048
It's a CR1 beast.
>>
>>50033102
printed where
SKT?
Wolo's?
>>
>>50029268
I would give iron dragons no breath weapon, but comparatively strong magical and physical defense. Iron has always been a substance that has opposed great and magical things with it's own ability to be mundanely resistant. The bible is full of magic and plagues and angels but even god was scared of iron chariots.

It would mean that other dragons are condescending towards irons because they are so simple and breathless, but also made nervous by them.
>>
>>50033130
SKT, so get in the trove
>>
>playing Storm King's Thunder
>the lich from Princes of the Apocalypse has convinced our Wizard to stand on top of a temple during a storm and get his ass zapped by lightning
>>
>>50033202
If it's a beast you can shift into it as a moon druid.
If it gives you nondetection for free, then that's pretty nice.
>>
File: 1425921353381.gif (329KB, 140x160px) Image search: [Google]
1425921353381.gif
329KB, 140x160px
okay, just started my first 5th game, playing drow elf paladin Eilistraee (yeah kinda snowflake but our players decided on a "band of monsters" idea to sorta screw with our "everyone should be fucking Strom Brightblade" DM) Got good rolls for stats 17str 17dex 16con 11int 11wis 16cha.
My question is once we hit 4th level should i take the point increses to round up my two 17s or take that Shield Mastery feat to get free bashes, bonus to dex checks and a sorta-evasion?
>>
>>50033192
If this was a periodic table of elements dragon then yeah, but last I checked gold dragons aren't super heavy and non-reactive, silver dragons aren't antimicrobial, and copper dragons don't turn green, so I think they'll fit in just peachy with the other dragons.
Plus, iron golems have poison breath, so giving iron dragons a poison breath not only makes sense but even it out so both chromatic and metallic dragons have a poison breath.
>>
>>50033262
Bump your 17's to 18's.
You rolled disgustingly good stats.
>>
>>50033262

Bump your 17s to 18s for sure. Two +4s is very strong, ESPECIALLY at level 4.
>>
>>50033262

>17str 17dex 16con 11int 11wis 16cha
>drow

get ready for your DM to fuck you over with angry elves and every encounter taking place in the middle of the day in an open field
>>
>>50033271
I didn't mean scientifically, I meant metaphorically. Iron as always been seen as an opposing force to magic in legend and literature, a symbol of mundane but indomitable power. If you want to give them poison breath fine but don't be a condescending little cunt about it.
>>
File: angry little girl.jpg (374KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
angry little girl.jpg
374KB, 1600x1200px
>>50032748
>>
Why don't people like artificer UA? Isn't it really close to being god wizard, being able to create spell scroll, choosing the right spell to solve the current problem?
>>
>>50032882
Maybe necrotic for how things die in winter? Or perhaps it uses Thunder to cause avalanches? It could also do something weird like steal heat from other creatures to fuel fire breath.
>>
>>50033332
Because it's not close enough to the crafting-focused original artificer, despite being able to pull off most of the same buffs and more.
>>
>>50033355
So it's just a fluff / flavor problem not mechanical problem?
>>
>>50033421
It's somewhat of a mechanical problem. IMO, to properly emulate the 3.5 Artificer, it should be a medium armor half-caster with a focus on buffs and crafting skills, rather than a wizard archetype.
>>
>>50029788
They are Mind Flayers in Final Fantasy Though
>>
>>50033450
Ah, what I meant was that.. It isn't weaker than any other Wizard arcane traditional right? I want to make an Alchemist Wizard but transmutation isn't really fit.
>>
>>50033491
It's not as strong as some of the other archetypes, but you probably won't suffer for choosing it.
>>
>>50033466
The name "mind flayer" isn't copyrighted, iirc.
"Illithid" is, however.
>>
>>50033450
I could see the artifice working well as something akin to a Paladin in how it's built. Give it an ability to reliably stock itself with flasks of acid or alchemists fire early on, give it a stock of potions similar to lay on hands, and give it the ability to temporarily empower weapons by using spell slots like smites.

Throw in a subclass based more on alchemy and potions, one based more on mechanics and crossbows, and one based on magical trinkets, and I think you could have something really neat.
>>
>>50033466
>>50029788
>>50033598
What exactly are mind flayers anyway? I mean I know they're squid headed brain suckers, but what are they?
>>
>>50033722

humans from the future
>>
File: 1476406834511.gif (321KB, 161x169px) Image search: [Google]
1476406834511.gif
321KB, 161x169px
>>50033722
they flay your mind, anon, what else do you need to know?
>>
>>50033722
Depends on the fluff. >>50033733 is interesting, but the origin story I remember was in 3.5's Lords of Madness. In the future, the Mindflayers had a multiverse-spanning empire. They achieved this by sending an army back into the far-flung past and curbstomping everything. So they exist in the future because they existed in the past . . . because they exist in the future. They're a living time paradox, which is why they and the creatures they use make no biological sense. They should not exist.
>>
>>50033757
They don't really curbstomp too much do they? Why don't they use their highly advanced weaponry against anyone? Where could I find more of this fluff stuff?
>>
>>50033262
You don't need that strength if you have 17 dex.

Like, seriously. Just go rapier+shield and put the 17 somewhere more useful.

Put your strength on charisma so you get 18 charisma, then put the 16 con on dexterity so you get 18 dexterity. A 15 on con, so that you can get resilient (con) at some point.
Put another 15 in strength so that you can wear heavy armour for +1 AC and have the ability to multiclass if needed.

Paladins only get two attacks, so GWM isn't quite as powerful. However, if you're devotion paladin, going strength + GWM may still be an okay idea because you get sacred weapon, but you should probably not fuck over your stats.

High charisma boosts YOUR ENTIRE PARTY'S saves.
>>
File: slavdrow.png (509KB, 1332x3858px) Image search: [Google]
slavdrow.png
509KB, 1332x3858px
>>50033284
It was only because he tossed in "re-roll 1s" because he really wants us to like 5th, trust me i was keeping track, if not for that i'd be playing Hodor.
>>50033314
oh I fully fucking expect it, and the way i have him planned out i actually look forward to roleplaying him trying to prove his good intentions. The whole idea we as players came up with was we knew our DM would want to make us Big Damn Heroes so we rolled up my Drow paladin, a half orc bard, a black dragonborn barbarian and our that guy playing a female drow monk. DM already tried fucking with my backstory, saying that since i was taken from the underdark at like 12 (I shamelessly ripped off Slav Drow for his backstory) i wouldn't remember what it was like or how to speak undercommon (despite taking it as a bonus language and i mean come on he was 12 not 2) and when i asked how much of my starting gold something like blacksmith goggles or just glasses with dark lenses would be i was told "oh well, that should be like a quest, something!" so i expect the sunlight thing to come up alot.
My bigger concern is our That Guy has already giggling saying that since he's playing a female drow my character has to do anything his character says and be subservient to her.
Like fuck you man, he's been raised by other races since he was 13 and that Lothite shit is against everything he stands for.
>>
>>50033797
I don't remember the details; it's basically all in Lords of Madness (a really good sourcebook for fluff).
>>
>>50033808
H O
D O R
>>
>>50033722
They came from the depths of the void; an ancient enemy of an ancient people. No one knows why they hate us so, or why they have made war upon us. Some say the struggle against their evil is the Mandate of Heaven. Though their origin and purpose are shrouded in mystery, their plan is simple: they travel, they land, and then they conquer. Now, they are here on our world, to do to us what they have done to so many others. And they will do it... unless someone stops them.
>>
LF group on roll20

https://app.roll20.net/users/846782/d-c

never actually played a game of dnd, central time, prefer later in the day/evening. I tried joining a game and it was weird.
>>
>>50029881
>those tan lines

Mercy
>>
>>50030795
The atropal renders undead within its radius immune to radiant damage, yet the atropal itself is only resistant to radiant damage?
>>
So Crossbow can only shoot once per attack action, right? However, if you get multiple attack on your round (action surge, haste) then you can still shoot without problem?
>>
>>50034012
just use your crossbow as a melee weapon, using both great weapon master and sharpshooter senpai
+20 damage
>>
>>50034012
a crossbow can only shoot once per turn due to the loading attribute, regardless of how many attacks you can make in a round.

afaik, there's no feasible way around this unless you have the xbow master feat
>>
>>50034012
Yes. That's exactly right.

>>50034022
This is the new bardic superhorse, isn't it.
>>
>>50034045
since it actually works RAW it's fucking funny m8
>>
>>50034045
Bardic superhorse?
>>
>>50034044
read loading quality again.

> Loading. Because of the time required to load this weapon, you can fire only one piece of ammunition from it when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to fire it, regardless of the number of attacks you can
normally make.

> fire only one ammunition when you use an action

So if you can use 2 action, you can shoot 2 ammunition.
>>
>>50034087
Lore Bard with Find Steed and Cone of Cold. Since cone of cold has range of self, people assume that the steed can use it too.

It was stopped by sageadvice clarification though.
>>
>>50034045
>>50034022
>>50034050
Someone should just ask in Sageadvice, so we can put a stop to this meme.
>>
>>50034137
They'll say "RAW it seems to work, but that's not intended" - since that's obviously the case.
BUT RAW IT STILL WORKS FAG LAMO
>>
>>50033192
Not really taking part in this convo but I like what you're saying a lot. It's giving me a shitload of ideas.
>>
>>50032498
you are a scholar and a saint
>>
>>50034022
Don't forget to apply archery for +2 to hit and sneak attack.

Also, don't forget to add both strength and dexterity to your rolls.
>>
File: 1459046437140.png (362KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1459046437140.png
362KB, 700x700px
>>50034022
>>50034187
is this a meme? can i actually do this according to phb rules?
>>
>>50034147
Or they could put an errata on it. Not like they haven't done that before. Somelike "improvised range weapon are treat as club" would make everything clear.
>>
>>50028876
It's actually still pretty balanced, and rangers suck again after like level 5, so I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>50034198
It work for now. Any Sane DM would just say "No" to it though, and then you are left with a cripple character.
>>
>>50034198
RAW you can do it. All the rules text supports that as a conclusion.

>>50034200
They could, but it's hardly important enough to bother with errata.
>>
>>50034198
It's a meme. The official ruling for improvised weapons is 'use the stats of the most similar weapon, or 1d4 with the appropriate damage type if it doesn't resemble one.' Any sane DM would rule that a heavy crossbow being used to club someone would be like a mace (1d6 bludgeoning, no special properties).
>>
>>50034117
But the real question is, can your wholeling halfling use gwm and sharpshooter while making a melee attack with his short longbow while you ride a superhorse?
>>
>>50034198
The crossbow is a ranged weapon that can make a melee weapon attack for 1d4+strength damage.

However, technically you add dexterity to attacks with ranged weapons and you add strength to melee weapon attacks.
Technically you add archery on attacks made with ranged weapons.
Technically sharpshooter applies to attacks with ranged weapons.
Technically great weapon master works on melee weapon attacks with heavy or two-handed or whatever weapons.
Technically sneak attack works on ranged weapons.

There's a bit of a question as to whether it counts as a club instead of a crossbow for the specific instance of using it to hit someone in melee, but it's hard to give a definite answer to that as the wording in the PHB is pretty poor in certain places.
>>
>>50028979
How are your players this dumb?
>>
>>50029080
At level 1, no they cannot.
>>
>>50034225
It would stopped people trying to derail any discussion about range weapon into "lolzz use shortlongbow with sharpshooter and gwm for awesome damage, so fennehhhh".
>>
>>50033903
>I tried joining a game and it was weird.
Tell us more.
>>
>>50034253
the only one who derails anything is you who whine and harp about things you don't like instead of ignoring them like a non-autist
>>
>>50029493
You mean 3.5? Because that was the only edition that had ban-worthy things in it.
>>
>>50034243
nothing in the rules text mentions a "club" - it's an improvised weapon
the only change being treated as an improvised weapon does is change the proficiency requirement and set the damage die at a d4
it doesn't change any other properties RAW
>>
How do you fix the Theurge? Does it need fixing?

https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA%20Non-Divine%20Faithful%20SFG.pdf
>>
>>50034263
> trying to do personal attack to justify his continuous use of a force meme

Sure brah. You are so hilarious Hahahahahahahaha
>>
>>50034312
keep responding
>>
>>50034311
Yes, it need fixing. Why the hell should a Wizard get Cleric capstone faster than Cleric?
>>
>>50034311
read sage advice on it and limit them to the cleric spells on their domain list only
boom fixed
>>
>>50031246
It's from transmetropolitan.

Great read.
>>
>>50034322
the cleric domain capstones aren't great for their level and the wizard 14 is supposed to be amazing, that's why
>>
>>50034305
Page 147.
'In many cases, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon, and can be treated as such.'
Smashing someone over the head with a crossbow is similar to a club, but since clubs have the light property it seems silly to allow someone to dual-wield melee heavy crossbows. So either take that property out, or make it 1d8 and heavy. It's not a ranged weapon in either case.
>>
>>50033722
they are a race of psionic parasites that infect mostly humanoids (but can infect pretty much anything with a brain, or outright grow as gigantic monstrosities in the lack of a proper head to nest on) and conquer planes.

they have advanced psionics and planar technology because they almost certainly come from the future and have a civilization based around slaving humanoids to do their bidding, consume brains and create abominations, to support their mother brain which in turn spawns more babby squids parasites that complete the cycle.
>>
>>50034311
Are UA actually worth including in your game, they seem so barren compared to the actual in-game stuff. Or is this my imagination because it's secluded by itself as apposed to being surrounded by more class options, etc.
>>
>>50034318
Maybe? I do what I want. Your reverse psychology trick can't really dictate people action. So if you really want to empowerment your pityful ego, you should try something else. Are you really that new to that internet?

Can we go back to discussing crossbow now though? You have taken enough of everyone time.
>>
Are str based champion fighters fun to play? What type of character would you recommend?
I'm a wizard guy but I wanted to try not using magic for once.
>>
>>50034352
keep going senpai
>>
>>50034358
Str fighters are fine, champion is kinda meh. Better to go battlemaster.
>>
>>50034350
revised ranger is definitely worth

the others are on an as-needed / wanted / not OP basis.
>>
>>50034350
Some of them are, like Warlock since they lack real class option and UA give them good-alignment patron or revised Ranger.
>>
>>50028895
Sorcerer or warlock would be closer, psionics traditionally don't involve memorization.

Warlock in particular fits the bill for being a "different" kind of spellcaster (I had a brief impression that the great old one warlock was put in as a stealth psion class the first time I read about it). If you're worried about balance issues with reworking the warlock spell list, sorcerer might be safer.
>>
>>50034358
Champion isn't fun. You are reduce to "I attack" machine in combat.

Battlemaster will give you more tactical option.
>>
I just finished part two of a six hour combat.

Next campaign is going to be pacifists versus pacifists in a political intrigue about fiat currency I swear. Never again.
>>
>>50034358
monster hunter is great if you want that
>>
>>50028895
The "existing psionic rules" are an incomplete, but free addition to the base game, in an unearthed arcana. There's only one class and they only go up to level 10. So yeah, 'kind of weird' is a good way of putting it.

If you're willing to wait, they should be releasing the rest of the class in yet another UA sometime this november.
>>
>>50034400
abolish the fed
>>
>>50034368
Maybe?
>>
>>50034358
I'd suggest a Barbarian. Similar to Champion, though rage gives you a bit more control over when you want to hit harder.
>>
>>50034400
...what were you fighting and why did it take so long?
>>
>>50034416
more please we need to know
>>
>>50034358
Rogues and battle masters are the only martials that don't make me want to kill my character 2 sessions in. The new beast master is working well too, but some sticks in the mud won't allow them in every game.
>>
>>50034400
Story time?
>>
>>50034428
Only if you explain why elf is the best race.
>>
>>50034449
they're not these are >>50032748
>>
>>50034427
It was a boss gauntlet. I gave them way too much he, and my players tend to slow roll turns a bit.
>>
File: biggerangrydwarf.jpg (536KB, 1000x783px) Image search: [Google]
biggerangrydwarf.jpg
536KB, 1000x783px
>>50034449
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0
>>50034472
What sorta bosses we talkin' bout?
>>
>>50030736
My current group has around 6k at level 3, but we have a lot of people to pay, so it kinda works out.
>>
>>50034358

If you just want to hit things, Champion is great. Battlemaster, Eldritch Knight, Monk, Rogue, and Barbarian might be more interesting to you if you want to do more than that.
>>
>>50034535
>If you just want to hit things, Champion is great
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3gdhj7/champion_vs_battlemaster_why_5e_has_bad_math/
>leddit
the math is right
>>
>>50032748
god fucking damit
>>
>>50034436
Sure, but tomorrow. Sorry to make you wait, but I'm stuck on mobile and need a keyboard to type this out.
>>
>>50034512
High level monks with numerous secret techniques.
>>
>>50034542
>the math is right
>has battlemaster using both feinting attack and great weapon master
>>
>>50034358
My understanding of champion is that it's there for the player who doesn't want or care to keep track of a lot of special abilities. I'm glad it's in the book for newbies, but I think anyone coming from a spellcaster would be quickly bored. Battlemaster is the most distinct version of the class, and if you want something different than wizard I'd say it's the best fighter option.
>>
So a female steeder can jump 90ft. Can they grapple enemy, jump up 90ft and release them? Do they need ceiling to do this (since they will take fall damage too otherwise)
>>
Fighter 1 / Lore Bard the rest.
Is this a good idea? Heavy Armor and Greatsword on a Bard.
>>
>>50035093
are you getting battle mage at 1st level?
otherwise you won't be casting much around, depending on your dm's interpretation of the rules.

also that means going for str and cha, for that paladin should be better, lv2 paladin let's you smite with your high level bard spell slots while still getting 9th level spells AND being a paladin lets you use you holy symbol for your paladin spells (which again, depending on your dm might even let you cast anything not too stupid from your bard list as well).

but if you are serious about melee combat, you'll probably want extra attack so valor sounds less stupid.
>>
>>50034433

Not a big fan of monks I guess?
>>
I try to seduce every female NPC I come across and there's nothing you can do to stop me.
>>
>>50035336
Roll for urethral circumference
>>
>>50035093
Paladin 2/Bard 18 is more interesting in my opinion, especially if you plan to go to melee with a greatsword.
>>
If my character had a trait along the lines of "My study of giants guides my journey" should that be a personality trait or a bond?
>>
>>50035194
2-handed weapon already allow you to release and regrip for all your spell castinh need.

Going 2 Paladin mean you are 1 spell level behind everyone else. Divine Smite is great though. But it might not worth to suffer through seeing your wizard friend fly around.

Extra attack is not need if you just get BB/GFB
>>
>>50035336
Every NPC in the game is now male. What used to be female is now trans-male.
>>
>>50035410
Nothing a sword can't fix
>>
>>50035420
Your sword became a male wholeling.
>>
>>50035434
I roll to seduce my sword
>>
File: school.jpg (112KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
school.jpg
112KB, 1200x630px
Looking over the Wizard class..something dawned on me. What's the point of the wizard schools; when you can cast any spell? Spend years studying to become Illusionist wizard, can somehow throw fireballs, and raise the dead.
>>
>>50035473
An evocation wizard can cast fireball but have it selectively ignore some targets. A necromancer can summon more undead and have them be stronger. And you can copy extra spells from your specialized school of magic for half the price and half the time.
>>
>>50035473
Evocation get flexible fireball.
Necromancy get better undead.
Divination get butthurt DM.
>>
File: latest[1].png (1MB, 1108x1329px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
1MB, 1108x1329px
I realized that you can be a sorcerer with low CHA as long as you just take useful spells that don't actually make attack rolls or saves. Shield, Expeditious Retreat, Fly, Invisibility, etc.

I'm gonna make Mountain Dwarf Ironman with shit CHA but high STR, DEX, and CON and beat people up like a superhero.
>>
>>50035473
Schools of magic aren't unique to wizards, every spell has a school regardless of who or what is casting it. Wizards spend their time learning all schools of magic as well as focusing on a specialty that they're even better at.
>>
>>50035473
see
>>50035518
An English major can do some math, but probably not upper level Calculus. A Math major can do that, but probably can't discuss the finer points of classical literature. Even wizards gotta take some general study courses.
>>
>>50035473

Schools of magic are there to show what you specialize in. And of course you get buffs related to that specialty as well has having an easier time copying down spells of that type.
>>
>>50035536
>3 relevant scores
>1 attack per round
>Only one concentration effect at a time that your party undoubtedly wants for themselves
I don't like it
>>
>>50035528
>divination get butthurt DM

Explain
>>
As a ranger with only 9 strength, would it be a good idea to start with two clubs instead of shortswords, then at level 4 take Magic initiate and learn Shillelagh?
>>
>>50035630
Shortswords can use Dex, they're finesse weapons.
>>
>>50035630
You could use finesse weapons (like the swords) rather than spend a feat for shillelagh.
>>
>>50035606
1. Change anyone's roll twice per day. Enemy now misses an attack or fails its save, fighter gets a better athletics check to shove big bad off a building, turn a fumble into a crit.
2. It ignores advantage/disadvantage. You roll for adv/d.adv, take the correct roll, then change that out for your divination roll. You don't roll a 1 and a 2 on a disadvantage die, replace the one and still have to take the two if it was higher than that, you take the 1, replace it, and the 2 is meaningless, i.e. you ignored disadvantage.
>>
>>50035536
>Iron Man
>Low Cha
>High physical stats

Not even close. You'd be better off trying to get some +1 armor, flying boots, and the ability to cast eldritch blast.
>>
>>50035473
It's mainly a matter of how it's progressed through editions. In early ones, specializing gave you extra spell slots for your school, but completely cut you off from opposed schools. In 3.5 you only lost one school of your choice, so it was more flexible. Now the extra spell slots are gone, replaced with benefits more akin to standard class features, but in return specializing doesn't cut you off from any schools.
>>
>>50035672
Maybe more like a Booster Gold character, an arrogant blowhard who fights evildoers to stroke his own ego.
>>
>>50029069
>Bane, for his part, let the former holy man (and his follows) go free, knowing that a life of
disgrace would be worse than any punishment he could inflict. Dygromac’s holy army was no
more. In their stead was a new race, the Tieflings, doomed to forever share the shameful origin
of their forefathers.
>>
File: 1477421547987.gif (2MB, 390x520px) Image search: [Google]
1477421547987.gif
2MB, 390x520px
>>50035606
probably the 'halfling divination wizard with lucky feat' meme.

DM is pic related.
>>
>>50035672
Fighter 1 for heavy armor proficiency.
Warlock 2 to get Eldritch Blast and two of the invocations that modify it. The range and pushing ones, if we're trying to be 100% accurate- the damage will scale up with level anyway.
Then, whatever the hell you want that isn't monk.

>>50029069

Why is Bane CE? Tyranny is LE.
>>
>>50035606
Portent give player the power to dictate where the story goes. BBEG fail save against hold person. The bard successfully seduce the dragon.
>>
I just learn about pykrete. More shenanigan for Shape Water!
>>
>>50035336
Sure go for it, you're going to wake up with a mutating leprotic STD though.
>>
>>50036264
What if he is a paladin? They are immine to disease.
>>
Are there any information about general execution methods in Faerun? Since it would make a difference for resurrection spells. Easier to do on a hanged man than a beheaded one and one burned on the stake is even more difficult. Also are there different levels for the severity of the crime? Background is that one of my players got himself in a sticky situation and is in danger to be executed for high treason and I'm preparing for the worst to see how easy (or how hard) the rest of the party could bring him back from the dead.
>>
>>50034382
I hadn't considered Warlock, though reading back over the Great Old one pact it makes a lot of sense. Might try and tweak that.

>50034404
Yeah. Something like that. I may hold off the homebrew if it's out this coming month though.

Thanks!
>>
>>50036400
The only executions that spring to mind as being notable in the setting are of divinities being executed. I can think of a couple beheadings, and if memory serves the people of Thay are executed via disembowelment for certain crimes.

Depends a lot on the region. Executions in Calimport might be drawn and quartered while up north in Neverwinter the official method might be execution pyres. Out on the Sea of Fallen Stars they just tie bricks to your ankles and toss you in the nearest body of water.
>>
>>50036477
Well its Waterdeep, so not sure what they would do. It would also be a rather public execution as a lot of false blame would be cast on him.
Since those spells are a thing, people must have thought up ways to make sure certain people stay dead or can't talk again for example via that spell that lets you talk with the dead.
>>
>>50036541
>Waterdhavian nobility in charge of executions
That'll probably be rather brutal. Beheading, give over the body to a cleric for proper burial and then toss the head down into the Undermountain.

Alternatively, an execution behind closed doors, and the body disposed of rather discretely.
>>
>>50036458
WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH?
>>
>>50036559
So either worst case they need a true resurrection (unlikely). Otherwise they either collect head and body, or one of them and use reincarnate or resurrection. I think I can work with that, thank you.
>>
>>50036662
No problem.

If it were me, any excuse to get the players to crawl through the sewers, break into the Undermountain and find a rotting head would be swiftly taken.

Bonus points if some nefarious spirit has possessed their friend's skull, or some warlock has started using it as a host for his familiar and doesn't want to let go of it so easily.

Out of curiosity, when you say 'high treason' in Waterdeep, does that mean he (was framed as having) tried to oust one of the Lords or something?

Because they might go out of their way to make it -very- difficult to put this guy back together.
>>
>>50031622
How do you even use Friends?
I feel like 1 minute is not nearly enough to make the charm worth it.
>>
>>50036793
Random hobo you'll never see again, getting inside somewhere then disappearing, talking someone down long enough to diffuse a bigger situation.
>>
>>50036793

Play Warlock
Use Friends
use Mask of many Faces to become someone else, avoiding the downside.

Rinse repeat.
>>
>>50036694
He's getting blamed for killing a big shot noble, a high ranking member of the city watch, a few extra murders, disturbing the piece of the city, arson, thievery and other stuff. The party are onto an organisation trying to overthrow society and they have now framed this one guy with all the stuff they have actually done. So he might be royally fucked unless they can proove his innocence.
>>
Are there suggested/example prices for shit like food, drink and lodging in the Dungeon Master's Guide anywhere?
I'm looking but I can't find it. I assume it's in there somewhere and I just missed it somehow
>>
>>50036982
They're in the PHB, pg. 158. And pg. 157-158 have lifestyle rules for handwaving them.
>>
How well does GWF work for a Greataxe wielding barbarian? Should I just get a greatsword?
>>
I want to put together a game with some friends of mine using Discord because none of us live close to each other anymore. Some are old 3.5/PF/4th players some will be firsttimers.

I chose Discord because aside from good voice chat, it will let me share maps, pictures of monsters, towns etc. Im sure I can find a fine online diceroller for those who dont have dice.

But Ive never DMd before. Only been a player, and never touched 5e.

My main question is: Is 5e easy to get into from both a DM and player standpoint, and would it be viable enough to run it online without too much hassle?
>>
>>50037253
You should check out Roll20 for the map and rolling bits, it's not that hard to learn. I suggest keeping with Discord for VOIP though.

As for:
>Is 5e easy to get into from both a DM and player standpoint, and would it be viable enough to run it online without too much hassle?
Yes, and yes. 5e is one of the most accessible versions of D&D, for new and old players alike, and running it online is a breeze.
>>
>>50037240
I, personally, think it's a trap card. On average, it's only .5 increase in damage per die.

GWM, though, is amazing and you should totally get that.
>>
>>50037240
For barbarian with a greataxe I wouldn't consider a dip into fighter for the fighting style worth it.

GWM (the feat) is great with barbarians, though. The at-will advantage of Reckless Attack means you can put out insane amounts of damage early-on.
>>
>>50037268
>>50037278
Oops sorry I did mean GWM
>>
> Party want "tank"
So I go Bearbearian GWM and tear everything apart
>>
>>50036653
A woman getting boned wtf do you think?
>>
>>50036653
Never relax around spooky skeles
>>
>>50030343
They were actually uglier back in the day. Now they could almost date a cute human girl with no friends
>>
>>50037804
Kek.
>>
>>50037804
I thought they were meant to be us from the future?
>>
Total noob question here: when I give XP I just sum monsters' XP worth and divide it between players? No multiplying it due to number of monsters or anything?
>>
>>50037934
Each monster gives its XP value as an individual, and that total is divided among all players. So five of the OP pic in a fight against four players would be 700+700+700+700+700/4 for 875XP.
>>
>>50036305
Pretty sure breaking that many hearts isn't Justice
>>
>>50037835
After gross experimentations
>>
>>50036793
Advantage on charisma checks means it works on intimidation too.
>>
Playing a warlock, and I'm quickly finding our party's wizard is outclassing me in literally everything.
Damage, skill checks, spells (unsurprisingly), even rolls for character interactions he seems to have better buffs for.

I really am not sure what I should do, I feel useless to the party. Should I just suicide and roll up a fighter so I can actually be helpful?
>>
So I'm reading the Mystic take 2 UA again...

Psionic Weapon + GWM work together right? -5 to attack doesn't mean anything when you change from attack roll into DEX saving throw.

and no, I'm not going to use it with Short Longbow + GWM + SS
>>
Which sorcerer would you prefer in your party: a dragon-blooded blasty blaster or a a schmoozer with wild magic and a shitload of subtle charms?
>>
>>50038236
I like Wild Magic, but I know a lot of people hate 2% chance of their sorcerer going suicide bomb.
>>
>>50038236
Dragon Blaster
>>
>>50034137
Sageadvice is what started this, as they ruled that a thrown dagger doesn't benefit from archery style, as it's still a melee weapon. All this bullshit is an extrapolation of that.
>>
I'm thinking of making a Tiefling Bard with mage initiate into some warlock spells possibly for flavor I was thinking about eldritch blast and prestidigitation with Expeditious Retreat as the level 1 but I've been considering getting hex instead for hex+viscious mockery combos, thoughts?
>>
>>50038178
Am how does a wizard over class a lock in socially interaction, I mean it not like nobody is going to let a wizard cast a spell mid conversation
>>
>>50038254
> Heroes of the Spiderwoods flashbacks
You just had to remind me.
>>
>>50038416
DM lets him cast his spells during conversation, yeah.

It's also a lot of bad luck I admit. I have 18 CHA and proficiency in persuasion by he always outrolls me. Can't complain too much about that I suppose. In combat it's a definite that I'm worthless.
>>
>>50034243
>The crossbow is a ranged weapon that can make a melee weapon attack for 1d4+strength damage.
>Technically you add archery on attacks made with ranged weapons.
>Technically sharpshooter applies to attacks with ranged weapons.
>TECHNICALLY
>Ergo, hitting someone with something in your hand is a ranged attack if said object is intended for ranged use
>∴ melee attacks = ranged attacks

>Fudging this much logic to prove that you can add ranged attack modifiers to a melee attack

Shit, this is like the double cone of cold meme all over again.
>>
>>50034311
Does not need fixing. You have to take EVERY spell from the cleric domain list before you can take any other cleric spell. (Looking at level 11 for first non-domain cleric spell). Cap stones are fine.

Wizards who studiously pour over a god and the nuances and gain magic and/or a connection through a mix of knowledge and prayer, should be able to obtain "power" faster than a devoted servant who is more interested in doing their gods' will.
>>
>>50038498
>wizard having conversation with some guards
>starts chanting nonsense, waving his hands around and throwing random objects from a pouch
>entirely unquestioned and keeps the same DC on his skill checks despite seeming like a damned autistic baboon
DM is a cunt or oblivious, try discussion, if unfruitful, leave
>>
>>50038542
Except class features represent tools gifted to do said will.
>>
>>50038515
It falls apart instantly as it tries to both rely upon and ignore the given rules for improvised weaponry
>>
>>50036400
It would stand to reason that they wouldn't just give back the remains of wealthy or important criminals after executing them. They'd cremate the bodies, hide or scatter the ashes, and do the execution in private or in a way that doesn't send bits of gore flying. At the same time, common criminals are never going to be able to afford a Raise Dead, so they can be less careful with those.

The one thing I remember reading about capital punishment in Faerun is that the city of Luskan has something called a Prisoner's Carnival, where a team of relatively civilized ogres serves the city as jailers and executioners, using various methods and putting on gruesome shows for the excited public.
>>
>>50038498
What did he even cast? Charm person only let you have advantage against that target right?
>>
>>50038587
A priest who spends 15 years taking care of peasants and trusting in their god to give them the gift, might also get shown up by a scientist/wizard who rolls up and shows them the exact process that is occurring that causes healing.

St. Andrew's Fire is a great example where having knowledge is more important than faith. The TLDR is that people were eating LSD-mold laced bread and going on pilgrimmage to St. Andrew and getting "miraculously" healed since they stopped eating drug bread. "Faith" gets the job done but science could've figured out specific shit out faster. I would allow Theurge as written but I would also apply questing requirements to actually learn shit about the domain they are studying.
>>
>>50038580
I think just oblivious.

>>50038631
No he makes the roll himself, doesn't let me talk really. I was sort of the party face + "magic guy" and he's kinda taking that from me.
>>
>>50038658
Tell the DM he's doing it wrong and you're not having fun. If he make a new pact with GoO and use create thrall on the wizard.
>>
>>50038705
Ignore this retard, it's not the wizard's fault that you picked a bad class
Reroll as a bard or literally anything else
>>
>>50038717
To be fair the wizard outclasses all the other casters and makes them effectively worthless.
>>
>>50036850
Friend, I do not know if you will see this, but I did a fair stint of legal action in Waterdeep. It sounds like your patsy has a fair bit of stuff lined up for him. Firstly is his crime in the First Pliant, namely the assault and murder of a lord. This are punishable by instant death, with little to no appeal possible. Before I go further, Waterdeep has no bail, and barristers are banned within the city. So called "professional witnesses" are allowed with much grumbling, and so much of the law is unwritten. Magic is also forbidden to be used to provide evidence of your innocence, due to the ease with which illusions or enchantments can be used to "attest" to such claims. Day to day matters are handled by 26 Magisters, though in such a case the Masked Lords could possibly hold court. Especially if the accused is high ranking themselves.

Next is his crimes in the Second Pliant, Crimes Against the City. A case of murder is usually a death sentence, though 10 to 15 years of hard labor could also be adjucated, upon conviction of the murders. The repeated offenses of murder are cumulative, and so would probably result in another sentence of instant death. Arson results in hard labor, and fines depending on what was destroyed. If unable to pay said fines, their time of labor is increased until the fines are paid in full.

So yeah, he's screwed. There are two ways to dance out of the noose, since even if he is killed and raised, the Lords or Magisters can make up a very specific law forbidding the character from entering the city again, and back it up with some powerful mages if needed. One, is to cozy up to a Lord of Waterdeep and become their agent, effectively gaining immunity as long as that Lord wishes them to stay alive. The second, is accepting exile into Undermountain. The thought is that if they can enter, and somehow manage to leave, they are cleared of any crimes they commited. If you wanna know more, look up the AD&D City of Splendors .pdf.
>>
>>50038734

I thought that was bard now.
>>
>>50037268
How do you get 0.5 per die ? I get 0.66 per die for the greatsword and 0.83 for the greataxe
>>
>>50028876
Anyone have a super High Res version of this?
>>
Things to avoid on roll20?
>>
>>50038991
The community.
>>
>>50038998
I meant like redflags. I'm trying to play my first game of dnd
>>
>>50038991
Being a little bitch.
>>
>>50038658
What magic have you been using? What's your invocations? Warlocks can usually carve a niche out for themselves. You'd find yourself making better use of your charisma if you're exploiting mask of many faces.
>>
>>50038734
wtf are you talking about

wizard is fine but in no way does it outshine clerics, bards or even druids

sorcerers are a bit of a shittier version of wizards though, I admit.
>>
>>50039022
The DM being too liberal. "Yes, you can play a hippo."
The DM being too strict.
Bladelocks/some warlocks, tieflings and drow are mostly 'yellow flags' more than red flags, but keep your eye on them.
People not showing up in the first place, duh.
Pretty much most people from roll20, but hopefully the DM thoroughly filtered them.
Far too many magic items.
NPCs that are unkillable because they're the DM's precious treasure.
You kill a goblin. You roll for loot. You get a 1000gp magic item.
Rolling for stats, sometimes.

I don't know, just all the obvious things. Use common sense and prepare for the worst unless you're actually playing with friends.
>>
>>50038178
Warlock is a bet meh, but there are things they're better at.

If you have a lot of short rests, you can output more high-level spells. If you're not getting enough short rests, probably talk to the DM about pacing.

If you have very few long rests and the wizard's spell slots are exhausted, your eldritch blasts should be doing a lot more.

If your character is unique in ways, there are social situations your character should be better in (say, people might side with certain races or backgrounds more often)

Get actually good invocations, and do consider you do get light armour and 1d8 hitdice. However, you don't get stuff like 'shield', I guess.

Multiclassing into paladin would've been good if you have 13 strength. Those auras are powerful.

Warlocks are easy to flunk on though, so chances are you probably just made a shitty warlock. I'd say wizards are generally better than warlocks, but they shouldn't outshine you unless someone's too powerful/too weak.

I'm playing a campaign with high charisma,and I barely ever get to roll charisma for things. Still, I've got other things to be good at. Devil's sight is one interesting one, tome of ancient secrets gives a wide range of utilities that while the wizard has most of still lets you have fun with a bit of creativity.

I don't know. Like other person said, warlocks fill a few niches and you kinda have to carve one out.
>>
File: qIxIaLY.jpg (216KB, 673x1742px) Image search: [Google]
qIxIaLY.jpg
216KB, 673x1742px
New thread when?
>>
>>50039144
do you have a less legible version please? too many pixels on that text
>>
>>50039159
http://imgur.com/a/uWcH1

I am a graceful god.
>>
>>50039144
I'm on mobile, someone else make it. Suggested thread question: why are martial classes so shitty?
>>
File: 1476473844114.jpg (8KB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
1476473844114.jpg
8KB, 204x204px
>>50039250
But anon, that question is bait.
Because martial classes are nearly on-par with full-caster classes.
>>
>>50038178
Warlocks are great. Probably the best class in the game if built right.
>>
>>50039250
>Be a demi-god all day?
or
>Be god mode until I run out of spells, then cantrip-whore the rest of the night.
>>
>>50039310
>be a demigod for a third of the adventuring day
>be a god for most of the day, then a demigod for the rest.

Fixed.
>>
When, if ever, is it acceptable to play a wild mage?
>>
>>50039492.
>>50039492
>>50039492
>>
>>50034848
5 5 5e .
>>
>>50039545
Ok. Chrome hiccup, I guess.
>>50034848
Typical of 5e poster math.
>>
>>50038294
Is a +2 to dagger throwers so powerful that all this had to be let through? Or is there some other hidden bullshit that ruling "A weapon is a ranged weapon if making a ranged attack, and a melee weapon if making a melee attack." would let through?
>>
>>50038294
The difference is that the dagger is a melee weapon that you can throw to make a ranged attack.
This right here:
>The crossbow is a ranged weapon that can make a melee weapon attack for 1d4+strength damage.
Isn't in the rules. So the rules don't really allow this. It's just meme shitposting.
>>50039614
Addressing this here to not clutter the new thread. Basically, that's the sageadvice answer because that's what the rules literally say. I have no idea why the rules are written that way though.
>>
>>50033997
Woops, fuck, thanks for catching that.
Thread posts: 350
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.