[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 353
Thread images: 27

File: tumblr_mg81giC9ky1rt2j9do1_1280.jpg (90KB, 800x542px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mg81giC9ky1rt2j9do1_1280.jpg
90KB, 800x542px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread >>49973913

How has poison featured in your campaigns lately?
>>
>>49983134
joined an Encounters group at my local store. Its my first time playing 5e though is this a good backstory for a classical Paladin knight?
>>
Good one shots for halloween night?
>>
>>49983235
> Dead Parent
stop reading there.
>>
>>49983134
In one instance our three person party meet a poison gas room locked door and everything. The door locked leaving me the fighter and the barbarian as we scrambled to hold our breath and go for the door. This DM has been none to be dangerous with traps so we were expecting the worst. Turns out it was actually d4 and d6, and at level 5 that was nothing. We took or time getting out of there, I got to work with a portable ram as he grabbed the chest of treasure that triggered the trap. So when we busted the door down the sorcerer got poisoned as well but still not a big deal. We found out that the poison now would just keep filling the room and since it now can go out into the open air, it may just keep going forever. We eventually got out of the dungeon, and got a hundred feet away, when the sorcerer decided to firebolt the gas filled dungeon wondering if it's explosive.

Soon after the 10d10 explosion I and the sorcerer got a limp and the campaign ends soon after that.
>>
Is this one point?
(2e) (5e)
25 30
24 29
23 28
22 27
21 26
20 25
>>
>>49983375
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>49983375
on* point.
>>
File: geniustactician.jpg (69KB, 600x477px) Image search: [Google]
geniustactician.jpg
69KB, 600x477px
I want to play genius tactician Aqua from Fire Emblem Fate! Is Valor Bard suit her? Obviously, Low WIS for her GENIUS PLAN.
>>
>>49983441
Fighter/Bard multiclass, maybe? For the maneuvers of Battlemaster?
>>
>>49983134

My group has a hard on for poisons because Poison = Edgy = Cool. I don't know where they came up with this, but because of their absolute retard fawning over poisons I refuse to let them have them in game. Is it No_Fun.jpg? Yes, but it also means I don't have to listen to them nerdgasm over how great poisons are. I hope this is just a phase for the group.
>>
>>49983596
How old are they?
>>
File: image.png (438KB, 1132x1020px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
438KB, 1132x1020px
Aright... Posting something that happened last night

>4 party group, little experience, I'm DM
>fat woman in group wants to be a fat elf fighter, Dips one into warlock
>fat woman is a friend of my friends gf
>her character does alot of grappling
>fighters story is that she was an exiled noble for being fat and a glutton and she wants to return to being a noble
>wants to do a mini campaign with me after work with her characters story
>I like fatgirls, maybe can Bork irl
>her character eventually confronts a powerful sorceress for hire
>using her OOG patron backstory, she swallows the sorceress whole and absorbs her ala majin fucking buu
>"my character gets their modifier as bonus ability scores as long as they are apart of me"
>things start taking a weird and sexual turn
>tell her that there really no way to bring this to the main game
>"it's just for me and you, for fun"
>it is now relevant to reveal she is not ugly and has a huge ass
>thanks me for playing with her, same time next week
>bends over in front me, then looks and winks
>"you really need to improve your initiative "

I'm weirded out, turned on and I feel cucked
>>
>>49983596
Poisons have always been weaker in D&D than in real life and treated merely as an option for DMs to allow rather than part of the core rules, so there's a lot of precedent for banning poison. Your players are probably excited about poisons because they see it as a way to skip large portions of an adventure and/or make it much easier than it should be. You know, the feeling you get in Mario World when you realize you can fly over the whole level with a cape. That's fun once, but not more than once. So go ahead and continue to keep the poisons in the DMG out of players' hands, or, if you want to allow them, make sure that the enemies are using them as well. There are also countless monsters who are immune to poison, so make good use of those.
>>
>>49983375
Nah, 25 = 35. And go from there.
>>
>>49982114
>>49982048
Unborn get special privileges, actually. Greenwood was asked about it once.

Simple-minded go to I think Ilmater.

Never learning about gods is... well, it's basically impossible in FR. It's like an ancient Greek not knowing who Zeus is. ALL cultures have gods. The "Elminster's Forgotten Realms" book mentions some stuff on it the matter:

>The average Faerunian lives long enough to worship (or serve through one's actions) one deity above all others - though in many cases, which deity a given person has served most might not be clear to a dying mortal or anyone else. If a mortal dies before finishing a mission or a task for a particular deity and it's a matter he felt strongly about in life, he could be sent back by that deity, reborn as another mortal, to try to complete that task. Otherwise, he ends up in the afterlife serving the deity most appropriate to his moral and ethical outlook. Only those who repudiate the gods (or who as a result of their actions are renounced by their gods), despoil altars and frustrate the aims of any deity, or never pray or engage in any form of deliberate worship will qualify as either Faithless or False.

You have to do some incredibly serious shit to get Faithless or False. You have to tip that fedora like nobody has EVER tipped their fedora in the entire history of tipping fedoras, and even then odds are good you wound up following one by accident and end up in the appropriate afterlife anyway.

Throw out a single minor "please Mystra let this spell work" in a heated moment? Or "Sune, let me score tonight with that hot barmaid" while you get dressed up? Those very easily count, simply because you wind up serving through action (furthering magic for Mystra, beautifying things for Sune).
>>
File: image.gif (181KB, 250x118px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
181KB, 250x118px
>>49983685
I think the answer to this situation is obvious.
>>
>>49983596

Of course you need to let them have poisons. It's most resisted type of damage in the game, why wouldn't you?

Just put the hours in.

In order to be able to craft poisons, you need to A) Have proficiency in the Alchemyst's kit and maybe B) Have proficiency in Poisoner's kit in order to do anything with it

If they want to harvest the ingredients for poison they also need C) Proficiency in Herbalism/ Survival / Animal Handling, whatever is necessary depending on the type of ingredient, and D) The formula for the specific poison, which are enviously guarded by any high ranking members of a guild of alchemists, or such and such, partying with a copy of it only as payment for a significant quest, that shall have repercussions should their rivals, the Neighbourhood Watch, learn of it. Repercussions will also ensue if they decide to flood the market with it, or use it in ways that may allow it to be traced back to them.

They may be able however, should they gather all the prerequisites, to craft a formula for poison of their own.

A Formula is at least One step of rarity higher than the poison, and it can be crafted at a pace of 20 gold pieces worth of work per diem, plus another five gold pieces worth of work per point on the Investigation Skill.

However, one cannot simply progress out of nowhere. Unless you're making a gold based poison, these 20 GP daily costs, will have to be paid for, in the form of ingredients for said poison, in order to experiment through trial and error.

The bonus gained from the investigation skill, as well as any bonuses gained from other sources, such as non consumable assisting literature (alchemy books in the value of the money in which they are assisting for example) do not need to be paid for
>>
So let's say you want to make a caster with constitution as their casting stat. A Gish I feel would be too strong as they have their health and weapon stat raising. What are some ideas? My first thought is blood magic, but that's pretty edgy and not likely to make it to the final cut at least not as the primary reason.

I feel like it would have to have its own spells like psionic in the unearthed arcana.
>>
>>49983764
Maybe the good and merciful gods, or the evil ones with an interest in strengthening the Lower Planes, claim souls who didn't worship them and the souls go along with it because it beats being in a wall.
>>
What would best fit Talona?
Death or Trickery? or maybe even nature?
>>
>>49983850

This way, you even have a little team work. You need a rogue to administer the poisons, a wizard to do the research, and a face to go around doing the shopping

It'll be fun, for a while, but in time, they'll be such notorious individuals, that their signature poison will begin to be notorious. Antidotes synthesized from all the dead bodies they've carelessly left lying around will have begun to pop up everywhere, until every significant character in the world will begin to go around building up tolerances to it, or taking a jug of "fuck off" milk in the morning with it's Wheaties, and the party will adapt.
>>
>>49983897
Something like a verminlord or cancer mage. You grow creepy-crawlies in your body and send them out one at a time. The equivalent of prepared spells/spell slots would be mature creatures inside you ready to emerge. So like how casters in previous editions would prepare three fireballs, you'd grow three explosive maggots in your stomach, and instead of casting them you belch them forth.
>>
>>49983902
Actually, that's the baatezu. They canonically send representatives to the Fugue Plain to try and convince souls to enter into deals, which allows them to take said souls back to Hell. Faithless, False, even faithful ones who are uncertain if their god will really take them.

Versus demons, who raid the place. Kelemvor's faithful (and outsider servants) often fight against raiding parties filled with demons.
>>
I'm trying to design a magic item for a sorcerer that will let him damage himself in exchange for casting a spell in a higher slot. It won't let him cast more spells per day, just cast them using a higher slot (if the spell allows it). Any ideas how much hp this should cost to be balanced?
>>
>>49983986
I don't know if it would really work as an equivalency, but the Bladesinger kit has the Song of Defense feature that allows you to nullify damage up to 5x the spell level expended.

You could do that, except in reverse.
>>
>>49983974
In addition, it would make sense if sometimes a god was like "Okay, this guy never worshipped me, but he doesn't deserve this shit, so I'm claiming him." Or else "This guy was a False servant of my enemy, and the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I'm claiming him."
>>
>>49983986
Have them use up hit die to boost spell slots, maybe taking (hit die - con) damage or just loosing them for their next short rest
>>
posting again

7 Int 4 wisn12 cha dwarf barb

I'm pretty much going to speak Asa normal dwarf would, just unable to understand long words and I make extremely poor decisions.

10 int is average intelligence and 5 is retardation so I wouldn't be talking like a caveman
>>
>>49983764

False also tends to really, REALLY require you be a hypocritical asshole. Generally 'Claiming to serve a god while wiping your ass with their tenants'. Like going around and throwing acid in the face of ugly people as a Sune worshipper under the logic that 'Ugly people don't deserve to live'
>>
>>49984006

>In addition, it would make sense if sometimes a god was like "Okay, this guy never worshipped me, but he doesn't deserve this shit, so I'm claiming him."

Generally that falls under greenwood's 'though in many cases, which deity a given person has served most might not be clear to a dying mortal or anyone else'. You were a generally nice guy who helped the poor and fed the hungry? The Crying God will call you one of his own as you served his goals unless he's unable to because you actively denied him as your patron.
>>
>>49983986
That sounds abusable. Make it hurt (at least "moderate" damage for a PC of a high enough level to have the improved spell slots) and more importantly, make it variable. Make it damage dice, so he doesn't know if he'll be fine or if it will knock him out or kill him. Also maybe consider limiting its use to sorcerers, because if it were my party I'd give it to the life cleric; he's the one keeping everyone's HP in balance anyway.
>>
>>49983998
Not the guy you're replying to, but I would probably limit that to 5x how many levels you're increasing the spell by. So a fireball at level 9 takes 30 unmitigated damage, while magic missile makes you take 40.
>>
File: 1429155799552.png (388KB, 425x536px) Image search: [Google]
1429155799552.png
388KB, 425x536px
Have you ever played a paladin that was directly at odds with their Oath? I'm considering playing an ex-criminal Oath of the Crown, with flaws that directly tempt the character to bend or break the oath.
>>
>>49984128
My Oath of Devotion was prideful, and constantly fought against showing mercy to a personal foe.
>>
>>49983685
>being wielded out and feeling cucked by a girl hitting on you
How does this happen?
>>
>>49983754
Nothing in 5e goes above 30. Anything above 30 means it is unknowable and just happens as the DM says it does.
>>
>>49984293
Out of curiosity, my character has 18 strength

How powerful is that? What could he bench press?
>>
>>49984006
>In addition, it would make sense if sometimes a god was like "Okay, this guy never worshipped me, but he doesn't deserve this shit, so I'm claiming him."
That can easily happen with serving through action, like what >>49984042
said.

>Or else "This guy was a False servant of my enemy, and the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I'm claiming him."
That, on the other hand, ain't happening. If Kelemvor declares you False, then your fate is sealed. That's his job, to decide who is Faithless and who is False. Once he decides you're one of the two, only a baatezu deal or tanar'ri raid will get you out of it, the other gods have to respect his judgement because that's what he does: judges fairly and without bias (nowadays, anyway - when he first ascended there were some teething issues).

>>49984020
People make a big deal out of Faithless and False, but usually I don't think they quite realise just how far you have to go to get branded with that. We're talking doing things like spending your entire life running around blowing up or otherwise utterly desecrating ALL the shrines you can find, purely out of spite. And even THAT might not be enough, because Cyric might just make an argument to Kelemvor for claiming you should you not destroy any of his shrines in the process. (He likes the insane ones.)

Or doing something so colossally foul that no god wants to go near you, the sort of thing that has even Bane and Myrkul and Shar collectively cringing in disgust while Asmodeus goes "the fuck is with this dipshit?!" from his throne.

The Nameless One in Planescape Torment? He would count as Faithless/False in FR, because every single Power renounced him (which is why he can't be a cleric).
>>
>>49984128
Paladins literally derive their powers from their convictions. If you're constantly tempted (not just occasionally/situationally as in >>49984233), you literally couldn't use paladin class features.

>>49984379
20 is basically human perfection/Captain America tier. 18 is a serious athlete, near-Olympic level. Like, football-lineman-strong. You could probably bench 300-400 lbs.
>>
>>49984379
20 is twice the amount of ten

So think of how strong an average person is and double it.
>>
>>49984379
PHB p176

you can carry around 18 x 15 = 270lbs and lift/push/drag twice that
>>
Would it be too far-fetched for Loviatar to have the hots for Ilmater? I mean, of course he sees her as his greatest enemy, but from her point of view they're the perfect match. She loves hurting and he loves being hurt.
>>
DMs, what's the worst session you've ever ran? Either because the players made it difficult or you really just fucked up that day, let's hear some DM horror stories
>>
>>49984502
>4d6 drop 1
>have 16 in 4 stats
>DM causes my character to die before the game starts
>>
>>49984453
I'm a bit skeptical about this. Why would 20 be exactly as strong as 10? Ignoring modifiers for a second, what's the basic logic here? It's clear you can't apply this logic to other stats (you can't double "average dexteritiy"), so why would it apply to strength?
>>
One of my players has 17 strength and 17 con, with 15 dex on a fighter. The other 4 have fairly weak characters and are ranged though. Do I just kind of rig the game against the fighter so he doesn't steam roll?
>>
>>49984562
17 strength is the only really relevant stat here. 17 con isn't a problem because he's a tank, and 15 dex really only lets him wear medium armor and still have a lower AC than full plate.

Unless the other characters all have a primary attacking stat of less than 14, there's no need to do anything.

Also, and I can't believe this still needs to be said in ((current year)), NEVER RIG THE GAME AGAINST A SINGLE PLAYER. If a character is that much of a problem, resolve it out-of-game. Nobody likes being picked on by the DM, and a reasonable player would rather tone down his character so this isn't necessary. Remember: it's your job to make sure everyone has fun.
>>
>>49984562
Create encounters where your fighter can't just run up and smash everything to death. Mages, something that flies, terrain that's not just a flat open field, etc.
>>
Long story short: my players took what was supposed to be 5 individual boss fights against anime characters (very long story), rounded them all up and basically challenged them as a group. We played 3 hours last week, and they only managed to kill one of them.

I haven't had combat that long since my very first session, when the players took 4 hours to kill a pack of 4 wolves.
>>
>>49984663
was in response to:>>49984502
>>
>>49984663
> against anime characters
Please consider drinking bleach.
>>
>>49984681
drinking bleach is an ineffective method of suicide. In most cases, the body will involuntarily vomit it up, meaning the only damage you do is to your throat and stomach. This causes intense pain, lasting for quite a while, but will not usually result in death.
>>
Help me figure out a deity for my character, noble friends of /5eg/.

He is an Oath of the Ancients paladin, devoted to light and beauty and all that is good. He sincerely believes that if everybody spent 5 more minutes on grooming each morning, the world would be a genuinely better place.
He always compliments anybody who makes an effort and has a soft spot for ugly people who nonetheless try to look their best.
At parties, he usually hooks up with either the hottest person or the ugly chick who came with her friends but bought a cute new dress. He wants to make everyone feel good about themselves.
Recognizing that beauty is far more than skin-deep, he always tries to judge people's character as well. He detests inner ugliness and tries to help people be morally upstanding, though he never coerces anybody like a Lawful Stupid Oath of Devotion paladin might. If the hottest person at the party was a total bitch, he'd still hook up with her but try to compliment anything nice she does, and make her feel good about being nicer.

Deities from either the PHB or FR are allowed. I'm thinking Sune might be a fairly good fit; any other/better suggestions?
>>
>>49984545
I think it's because the book pretty much only gives Strength a mathematical progression (being able to lift an amount directly proportional to the score, i.e. 15*STR lbs). Therefore, someone with 20 STR can lift twice the amount as someone with 10 STR.

Honestly it's just that autismo-kun up there doesn't realize that it's better to look at the stats of real-world animals such as brown bears or elephants in D&D (19 STR and 22 STR respectively). You can tell that the progression isn't linear, as an elephant is vastly stronger than a bear.
>>
>>49984737
Titania, The Summer Queen.
>>
>>49984757
Another way of looking at it is that human strength in the real world isn't linear either.

What we do know is that 10 strength is average human, and 20 strength is bordering on the mythic. Heracles is the best example of a 20 strength human.
>>
>>49984737
I think the god you're looking for is Thor
>>
>>49984793
I'd argue Heracles has above-human-maximum strength, similar to a 20th-level barbarian. It's not humanly possible to do some of what he did.

>>49984814
How does Thor make sense here? (Sir Alan would give you the benefit of the doubt rather than assume you were shitposting)
>>
I'm thinking of taking a very 40k approach to my next setting:

magic is feared and generally outlawed because using it attracts the attention of angels, demons, fey, and old ones (collectively outsiders), which tempt, drive mad, or inspire mages to commit great acts of societal disruption.

I like the idea of magic being socially unacceptable, placing a severe limit on its use. Any suggestions, or reasons I shouldn't do this?
>>
>>49984871
Magic is pretty integral to D&D.
Why not play WHFRP or something?
>>
>>49984904
Players insist on not learning a new system, so I've got to fix this. One balancing act between martials and mages IMO is making it so magic use has consequences.
>>
>>49984871
Dark Sun did something similar; could be fun, although I'd not enjoy doing the whole space thing in D&D; would rather play Dark Heresy if we're going that route.
>>
Does anyone know how much a burglar's pack weighs...?
>>
>>49984871
>>49984904
well I saw this in roll20 with a setting that generally divine magic like cleric pally and druid are accepted cause gods and what not whiles arcane magic are the ones look down upon

while you are at maybe make a rule that after using a spellslot, player must a % roll. if the charac fail the roll ( pass/fail depend on DM/Spell slot level), then it take a penalty on their casting stats
>>
>>49984737
Lliira, goddess of joy and parties
>>
>>49985006
Depends on how successful the burglar is
>>
>>49985009
I can definitely see him worshiping Sune in general and her minor-deity buddy Liira in a slightly more limited context (probably saying a prayer to her before performing at an inn). Thanks for the idea!
>>
>>49984993
Oh, I wouldn't be doing space. it'll be mostly taking place in a low tech fantasy setting. The big thing is the magic stuff.

>>49985008
I was thinking of adopting insanity rules for magic, with the checks made during long rests while the magic users are sleeping.

The checks would be made based on how much magic was used.
>>
>>49984841
Yep, as >>49984445 said, 20 is considered the peak of human capabilities.
>>
>>49985128
Oh, then good. I'd enjoy that, probably. I like settings that are a bit dark.
>>
>>49985128
>>49985008
No matter how much you think magic-users are unbalanced (and they're really not nearly as bad as they used to be), you should still never penalize a player for using his class features.

>>49985145
Nice, you quoted (me) to (me). Feels good, man.
>>
>>49985006
Backpack (5 lbs)
1000 ball bearings (2 lbs)
10 feet of string (no weight)
a bell (no weight)
5 candles (no weight)
crowbar (5 lbs)
hammer (3 lbs)
10 pitons (1/4 lb each, 2.5 lbs total)
hooded lantern (2 lbs)
2 flasks of oil (2 lbs)
5 days rations (10 lbs)
tinderbox (1 lb)
waterskin (5 lbs full)
50 feet of hempen rope (10 lbs)

Total weight of Burglar's Pack: 47.5 lbs.

P.S. if your DM makes you guys play with Encumbrance variant rules he's a shitter.
>>
>>49985166
>Nice, you quoted (me) to (me). Feels good, man.
kek
>>
>>49985166
Hmm.

Thinking about it, I disagree with that absolute. Adding costs or risks to abilities is a fine game design tactic, and this is just a cost players will have to consider when they use magic.

There are plenty of examples of costs associated with abilities, such as spell casting components. there are plenty of examples of risks associated with abilities (such as never being able to cast wish again). All of these could be characterized as penalties for using class features. I use my spellcasting feature to resurrect the barbarian, and I'm penalized an expensive gem for example.
>>
>>49985147
thanks. I like the flavor of outsider type beings influencing mortals a lot myself.
>>
>>49985236
I once started making, then got sidetracked on, a setting who's major thing was that people--the common people--have started to figure out how to bind vestiges, small gods, as some people called them. Anyone with the training can do it, so the Churches and the Mage Guilds--that control separately the magic trades in the setting--try to stamp bindings out completely, using their influence to destroy them wherever they can find them, under the guise of "protecting the innocent".

While it probably does have that effect, that isn't the reason.
>>
>>49985193
My DM uses it and it adds to the realism and experience!
I just ignore it, he will never know
>>
>>49985282
Did you also include a binder class?
>>
>>49985166
>>49985220

I mean how I would penalized it by
lv 1 = DC 10 (using d100) failed 1 dmg
2 = DC 15 failed 1d4 dmg

lv 6-9 = dc 35 failed penalty to casting stat
>>
File: 1411669372445.jpg (39KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1411669372445.jpg
39KB, 600x450px
okay.

>6-8 foot tall half orc or goliath.
>18 str
>boots of springing and striding
>grapple

i should be able to jump up into the air and drop my grapply target for around 20 ft of fall damage, yeah?
>>
>>49985301
I was going to, but never got past the embryonic stage. Before I start working on a game, I'll poll my group to see what it is they want out of a game. They were looking for different things than a cold war between the Commoners, the Mage Guilds, and the Churches, so I put it away for the time being.

I did notice that Middle Finger of Vecna did one that I thought was pretty good, on first blush.
>>
Player died last session. Other players recovered the body and we ended the session there.

PC that died already rolled a new character and is excited to play the new one.

Then we all collectively realized we forgot about Relentless Endurance because he's a Half-Orc.

My plan is to have two of the NPC's who got hit by the same creature that killed the half-orc collapse into a coma like state, because apparently the beast also has a really strong poison attached to its attacks.

Is that a big enough reason to handwave the PC death and move forward?
>>
can dwarves do backflips and acrobatics? 15 dex
>>
>>49985296
I use it as a DM; fortunately, my players are more honest than you. I also look at their sheets before the game starts to get an idea of how much they carry, etc. If it's a few pounds off or something, I'm not going to call them on it, but big things or plot things are a different story.

Does that make me a dick DM? Probably. Certainly amuses me when they go, "FUCK! We have too much gold to carry all this loot we just stole!"
>>
>>49985391
Yeah, that's fine, if the player's okay with it.
>>
>>49985395
If you can roll a well enough acrobatics check sure.
>>
>>49985417
He's down. Like, we have a hard rule about backpedaling, and at the time it was a pretty devastating loss for everyone in involved. Just want to come up with a way to rationalize it.

Also when they try to get him resurrected and he refuses that's gon be a biiiitch.
>>
>>49985395
A lot of the Acrobatics skill includes things that don't really count as acrobatics in the common sense of the word, like keeping your balance and wriggling out of restraints.

That said, I don't see why you would ban a dwarf character from doing flips and stuff if he makes a good Acrobatics check and doesn't have too much gear weighing him down.
>>
>>49985395
Technically, but expect a huge social penalty as all dwarves everywhere sense your natural acrobatic ability and shun you as not dwarf like.
>>
>>49985360
You can, but 20ft of fall damage is 2d6, probably less than what you can do just hitting them
>>
>>49985465
Keeping your balance is very dwarflike, and that's covered by the Acrobatics skill.
>>
>>49985360
Signs point to yes, but it looks silly
>>
>>49985511
>>49985360

This desu senpai. I'm all for doing stuff like this, but eventually players get mad that it doesn't do enough damage. Instead, ride them down SPD style, and ask the DM for some sweet bonus damage.
>>
>>49985511
>>49985528
excellent. i am most likely going to use this as a character for a one-shot.
>>
>>49985528
Yes, but I believe the character would also take that falling damage. So...yay?
>>
>>49985541
Ewww, that autocorrects to that? wtf
>>
>>49985220
I think there's a distinction between a cost and a penalty, even if it's a bit fuzzy. A material component cost is fine - a fighter has to buy ammunition, after all. But a penalty to the casting stat? Insanity consequences? That's along the lines of crippling injuries with negative side effects for fighters. It's just not fun, whether or not you think it's balanced or reasonable.

>>49985302
>DC35
That's better be a joke, because no player will ever have better than a +11 on a saving throw. Even DC15 for a level 2 spell is fairly high - an average character at level 3 will have about a 50% chance of making that, which is preposterous. I should take 20% of my hit points in damage for casting Cure Wounds as a 2nd-level spell.
>>
>>49985404
Starting gear for a 5e character usually weighs on the order of 80 lbs (not including armor). To carry this without a penalty you need strength 16. The system is sort of silly that way.
>>
>>49985600
What kind of dumbass adventurer walks around without a pack mule to carry their shit?
>>
>>49985600
Typically the strength inclined classes get more gear, so it's easier for them.
What you really need to do is invest in a cart and some animals for travelling. Heck, you can even start with one with variant merchant background.
>>
File: 1475787673927.jpg (146KB, 1000x939px) Image search: [Google]
1475787673927.jpg
146KB, 1000x939px
I need your help /tg/
Halloween night I'll have to DM a full-day session but I'm woefully unprepared. Do you guys know any creepy-themed oneshots adventures? Or even good longer adventures I can draw inspiration from?
>>
>>49985560
Aww, he's new here! How nice! We love new friends!
>>
What are the rules for natural flight in 5e? I know in 3e you could only hover if you had great or perfect flight, and you might be forced to crash or fall if things were bad enough. Anything like that in 5e or can anything with a fly speed zigzag in midair, stop for 5 rounds without falling, and whatnot?
>>
>>49985680
Death House. It's in the Curse of Strahd book, pdf is in the mega trove.
>>
>>49985761
In 5e a flying creature either can or can't hover. If it can't hover, it must end its turn at least half its flying speed away from where it started or it falls.
>>
Can I get some feedback on this? They're essentially humans put live in dry bubble cities at the bottom of the sea. I don't want to use the Human statblock because the more common default people are the Merfolk. Instead I opted to start with Half-Elves.

>Ability Score Increase: Charisma score increases by 2, and two other ability scores of your choice increase by 1.

>Age: As they are human, drylanders mature in their teens and rarely live more than a century.

>Size: Drylanders range from barely 5 feet to just over 6 feet tall.

>Speed: Your base walking speed in 30 feet. You don’t have a natural swim speed.

>Stranger’s Crown: All Drylanders found away from their homes wear a necklace that manifests a bubble of air around their heads. This necklace acts as a cap of underwater breathing that is bound to the Drylander that wears it. Drylanders protect this necklace as it’s their only means to survival beyond their cities.

Since it's an underwater campaign, I thought it was ok for a magic item with incredibly limited application that allows them to adventure was ok out the gate. Sure they can sell it, but nobody outside the dry cities wants one, and once sold they're pretty much stuck in the city, effectively retired.

>Secret of Fire: After purchasing starting equipment, choose one of the character’s items (armor, shield, or weapon). That item is made of superior forged metal, and is treated as a magic item with a +1 bonus. If the item is lost or destroyed, it can be replaced the next time the Drylander character returns to his or her homeland or another dry city at the cost of the weapon. If the character is 10th level or higher, the item has a +2 bonus.

This i'm not sure of. I want to represent the superior technology they have access to with both dry land and fire.

>Skill Versatility: You gain proficiency in two skills of your choice.

>Languages: You can speak Dryspeech, Aquan, and one other language of your choice.
>>
>>49985821
Where are the rules for this?
>>
>>49985827
Half-elves are sorta OP to start with, so it's a bit risky to use them as a basis. That said, Secret of Fire is completely overpowered. A +1 item out the gate is extremely powerful in 5e, and a +2 item in certain campaigns can be game-breaking. Stranger's Crown is probably fine, though.
>>
File: ss+(2016-10-27+at+02.14.21).jpg (24KB, 316x121px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-10-27+at+02.14.21).jpg
24KB, 316x121px
>>49985821
Not what hovering means.
>>
>>49985848
I thought it was in the PHB, but maybe that was an old playtest. All I can find is that the ability to hover lets you stay in the air even if you're knocked prone or your speed is 0.
>>
>>49985821
So, if you don't have hover, and have 50 fly speed, and fly around in circles only to end up where you started, you fall, just like that? How fast do you fall?
Where is it listed on creatures to show if they can hover or not?
>>
>>49985576
Insanity tables are just roleplaying prompts, which in my experience is very fun.
>>
>>49985876
I figured, but how else could I represent their access to things like fire, metal, and glass right out of character creation?
>>
>>49985913
By letting them have access to gear that other races don't, probably. Just not enchanted stuff.
>>
>>49986015
Then my problem becomes what is the mechanical difference between the two, campaign gear and book gear?

I've taken the lazy route and just changed words and fluff on much existing gear to suit the campaign. So it regular gear exists, it technically needs to be better than it's actual stats. How can I do that without making it magical or giving a flat bonus?
>>
>>49985600
>16*15=240
>16 strength has a carrying capacity of 240 lb
>16 strength is needed to carry 80lb
???
You need 6 strength.
>>
>>49986276
is that without penalty?
>>
>>49986276
I assume he meant "Without any penalty from encumbrance rules"
>>
for folk hero being made at level 4, what is a terrible monster I could've bested for my defining event? My barb has 18 str and 4 wisdom, so I'm having him lose an eye to buffer the absolute stupidity
>>
>>49984871
Implement corruption/sanity. Implement a 'perils of the warp'/'psychic phenomena' type table.
>>
>>49986387

Looking through the CR3 creatures, a mummy, hobgoblin captain, bugbear chieftan, Green Hag, Manticore or Minotaur all feel thematic.
>>
>>49986387
4 wisdom sounds less like 'he's missing an eye' and more like 'he's constantly high' or 'he is constantly wracked by visions, he's constantly out of it' and the like.

But missing an eyeis probably a better way to put it. Still, missing an eye only affects visual perception, rather than hearing perception, touch perception, wis save throws, medicine, animal handling, etc...

Considering wis is much more important than int and cha, good on you for not ending up with 4 int on a barbarian because that's just way too cliche.

If you say that they bested a monster with the help of some possibly alive/possibly dead friends then you can go nuts, but I'd still highly doubt a beholder or ancient dragon.

If you're talking solo, probably a very physical creature. Say, a rather small hill giant.
>>
>>49983685
I am currently fucking a girl with a nice thick ass I met specifically through D&D, and I advise you to go for it.
It's amazing; they get off on role playing and generally have a ton of fantastic fetishes.
We've basically been sexting each other constantly, except our sexting is a solo game of D&D via text where her Rogue is constantly getting into sexualized situations (she's basically Isabella from Dragon Age) and is playing out a massive rough sex/sexual enslavement fetish while actually being a good RPer and having fun adventures too.

Being DM With Benefits is awesome.
>>
>>49986092
Dunno, you seem to have worked yourself into a bit of a corner. In 3e, you could easily just say all their stuff was masterwork (or even +1), but in 5e this has much greater implications. Maybe let their gear weigh half as much for the same effectiveness, and/or have resistance to sundering and such.

>>49986446
If you're thinking along the lines of a rampaging beast, manticore is a good choice (although they are somewhat intelligent, they're still an archetypal "beast").
If you want to have beaten a fearsome, intelligent villain, minotaur and hag are both good choices.
All three of those also have obvious means with which to have crippled your eye (spines, horns, claws).
>>
>>49986496
You are the worst.
>>
>>49986516
Please do not feed the trolls. His post is obviously completely out of place here, so just disregard it.
>>
>>49984491
A cleric (read: Dom) of Loviatar would LOVE to Don an Illmaterite.
Paingivers of Loviatar are not picky about who they fuck and genuinely enjoy showing the goddesses' blessings on anyone at all, especially if they get to control said person with a mixture of sex and pain.
>>
>>49986446
I'm gonna go with Manticore, sounds cool

I'm still struggling with low wisdom though... Can low wisdom typically be a character that's insane and out of touch? Or a character that is just oblivious and draws simple and poorly thought out conclusions?

>>49986482
Would a 4 wis 12 cha barb talk like a caveman? I'm really trying to figure out how wisdom works
>>
>>49986516
Not even joking dude.
These chicks are OUT THERE, you just have to look for them. Check with theater majors or theater workers if you can.
>>49986549
Sorry, I apologize.
Not trolling, just got carried away.
>>
>>49986506
>Maybe let their gear weigh half as much for the same effectiveness, and/or have resistance to sundering and such.

Nah that's really not what i'm going for. What if I made it so it can't be replaced without paying an exorbitant amount of money? An initial boost out of character gen that it rare and expensive otherwise? Maybe it's not considered magical but still has the boost?
>>
>>49986568
Literally nobody has any idea how wisdom works. The stat has never been particularly well-defined, and I'm not even sure it was always related to good perception. Your best bet is probably completely oblivious and a bit non-sequitur.

If you have a decent int, you won't talk like a caveman.
>>
>>49986621
It's not about the magic, it's about +1 being too powerful for a low-level character. The way 5e is balanced, that's just too high of a bonus, no matter how you fluff it.
I'm sorry, but if you want their gear to be stronger, you either worked yourself into a corner or you've picked the wrong system to include them in.
If you have to give them a numeric boost, you can give their weapons +1 to damage (but not to hit) and their armor a low amount (1 or 2) of damage resistance.
>>
>>49986649
I have 7 Int and 4 wis with 12 cha

I wanted to do macho man, but I feel a character like Zapp Brannagan from futurama. Very charismatic and arrogant but extremely foolish and unaware of his stupidity. Seems to fit the folk hero lore. Not gonna be lolsorandom but can have some humorous bits
>>
>>49986687
Maybe you can explain how a +1 bonus is so broken at lower levels?
>>
File: 4iRrSNg.gif (687KB, 664x714px) Image search: [Google]
4iRrSNg.gif
687KB, 664x714px
What's the best way to kill a ranger with a pet?
>>
>>49986704
Zapp would be an interesting choice to use as an example. You're right, he's kind of an idiot and doesn't really read situations very well. Of course, he also doesn't have very good charisma, but if he was less of a dick he could. Go for it.
>>
>>49985461
>wriggling out of restraints
I don't think that's Acrobatics, just Dexterity.
>>
>>49986738
Zapp has great charisma in universe.
>>
>>49986568
Low wisdom means they're completely out of tune with the world.

A mad scientist would have low wisdom, inventing crazy machines such as a 'toast butterer' to fix problems that don't even exist.

Someone with high wisdom might even notice spirits at night.

Someone with low intellect is more likely to talk like a caveman and have problems with languages.
Low int correlates with bad memory, bad logical reasoning and processing power.

Wisdom is the input.
Int is the processing.
Charisma is the output.
>>
>>49986784
You must have low charisma, because my first response was "guffaw, that is retarded".
>>
>>49983685
You weren't cucked. She's just a fat girl who is confident in herself and has a vore and absorption kink. Hell, if you are ever in or run a Pathfinder game with her tell her to turn her eyes toward the horror book for Gingerbread Witch.

Again you weren't cucked, she was just trying to share a bit of what she's into with you. And if she did that then she was either comfortable or interested. Talk to her and let her know that you're a bit unfamiliar with her magical realm, and it made you a bit uncomfortable, but you're still curious and mostly into her.

Fuck, she might get something out of Storm King's Thunder. Run that shit and if they press down the Hill Giant path she may be all in with that Giant Lord plot.
>>
>>49983685
>fat girl
>into vore
it's like poetry, it rhymes
>>
>>49985576
those DC are all out of 100
>>
>>49983685
>gets their modifier as bonus ability scores
Holy fuck
smack that bitch across the face
That is broken as fuck
If I were you I would be FURIOUS WITH DWARF ANGER
>>
>>49983897
A gish wouldn't be too strong if the spell costs were priced right.
>>
>>49986738
>>49986771
>>49986704

I'm playing a Soldier Background Battlemaster deeply based off of Zapp Brannigan in SKT right now. Minus the Sexy Learning Disability and often taking problems head on.

...I play him like a dolt but my approach is working and I've lead the party to several decisive victories thanks to well placed commanders strikes with the party paladins. Took variant human and have inspiring leadership and between the constantly eye rolling tiefling wildmage and the half orc war priest I have two kiffs.

I constantly jump to the wrong conclusions, though sometimes the right ones are rather inescapable, and I am the people at my table are having a grand old time.
>>
>>49986728
I'm glad you asked!

Short version for the lazy/bad at math: a +1 weapon is basically equivalent to +2 strength, when you already have a lot of it. Compared to point-buy, you can see how that should be a fairly pricey boost.

Long version with math:
Okay, so let's say I'm a 1st-level fighter and I'm fighting another 1st-level fighter - it literally doesn't get any more basic than that.
We both have a completely reasonable 18 AC (chain mail + shield, scalemail/breastplate + shield with dex - take your pick). We likewise both have +5 to hit - we're humans with the default array, or whatever. Basic numbers for basic fighters right out of the book.
The chance for an attack to land in this situation is 40% (13+ on a d20). Your average damage per hit is 7.5 (with the best one-handed weapon, 1d8+3), so your typical damage per round is 3.
Now let's give both of us +1 swords. Our accuracy improves to 45% (12+ on a d20). Our average damage increases to 8.5 (as before, +1). So average DPR is now 3.825.
With just that +1 to damage, we increased DPR by 27.5%. This is huge - more than a quarter. It's comparable to letting one of these fighters swing a greataxe one-handed. It makes three of these fighters do about as much damage as four regular fighters.
Conversely, let's make our armors +1 instead. We've reduced the accuracy to 35%. That gives us a new DPR of 2.625 - a 12.5% decrease. Not as drastic this time, but still strong - and it gets better as you upgrade your armor class (consider the massive difference between a 10% to hit and a 5% to hit).

Bottom line is, a +1 magical object is a massive boost in power to a weapon/armor user in low levels. It depends on the opponent, of course - it's stronger against heavily-armored opponents (or low-accuracy ones, if your armor is magical - and most low-level enemies are low-accuracy). But in all cases it represents a surprisingly high boost in effectiveness.
>>
>>49984418
>The Nameless One
But can't you become a servant of Aoskar in one map near The Hive? Why wouldn't it count considering it's Aoskkkkkkkkkkkk
>>
>>49986568
Wisdom ranges from no common sense, through common sense to "wise as shit".

Autismo scientist is high int low wis.
A wise farmer guy is low int high wis.

When a high int guy finds a suspiciously ticking mechanism, he can try to dismantle It as he is probably able to do that just that. With low wis, he can get to work right then, ignoring the fact that there are more important things to do/get to work right then, ignoring the possibility It might be rigged.

A high wis guy will leave the thing alone and/or include Its suspicious nature into his future plans.

Low int, low wis, high cha guy WILL come up with the worst idea and without anything to carry that plan, he will convince the others to partake in what's clearly a fucking madness
>>
>>49986873
That's not how DCs worth. DCs are target numbers for a d20 roll. You're thinking of percentage chances, perhaps.

>>49986986
Furthermore, this feature would be nearly useless on back-line spellcasters, since they don't use weapons and an effective % increase to hit points gives them less (because of their smaller hit die, and the fact they don't get attacked as often). Unless you let it apply to magical focus items, which doesn't really make sense if you fluff it as high-tech.
So basically you've created a race that's immensely desirable by all weapon users and more or less crap as a spellcaster.
It seems reasonable at first, but in 5e terms, it's just not good design.
>>
>>49986870
Well, now I'm curiously thinking about one or two aspects of the situation.

Vorefags have their weird fetish, but what's the instigating point. Is it because she likes the power dynamics? She is definitely into herself being fat given the roleplay bit in backstory about her character's gluttony.

Traditionally thinking, a sorceress is a charisma class and might have been described as more slim and conventionally attractive. Is it the idea of consuming someone whole for more fat, the idea of the extreme BDSM power dynamic over the type of woman who may have ostracized her in the past over her weight.

Or is it just something they found online and fuck the idea turns them on.

I look at the ideas we all as people try to explore from within ourselves through roleplaying games and putting ourselves into these characters fascinating and want to know more about this persons motivations and history as it relates to the broader situation.

Hell, I tried to play a bi twink spell scale back in 3.5 as an exploratory idea but wasn't comfortable with it ultimately and shelved the idea.

>>49985680
seconding Death House as >>49985776 suggests, but for an all day game...you can just keep rolling into the rest of Curse of Strahd and Barovia in general. Its all the spooky unless you want to work on something more unique.
>>
>>49987052
Meant to also reference >>49986728.
>>
>>49987052
couldn't casters sell the weapon at exorbitant price though
>>
>>49987077
Depends on the setting. In most 5e settings, no, because there's no effective magic item economy.
>>
>>49986986
I see.

What sort of trait would make sense to replace it with then?

Access to fire is a pretty big deal.
>>
>>49987062
Fetish development is theorized by some to be a result of early childhood "accidentally sexual moments"

For example, a foot fetish might be a result of a child playing with their parents legs (sitting on them, crawling on them, etc), and accidentally rubbing their genitalia on the feet and generating sexual arousal feelings. Obviously the kid has no idea what the fuck is going on, only that it feels good. Eventually the kid learns to associate that feeling with feet, and bam, a foot fetish is born.

Vore could be a similar experience with food. Maybe their parents tickled them a lot while saying "I'm going to eat you up".
>>
>>49987094
>smithing only available on land
>underwater campaign where you visit undersea cities on the regular
...I think there's a supply and demand thing here my man, this isn't exactly "most 5e settings"
>>
>>49987095
Maybe give them a device that creates air bubbles and allows them to cook food, letting them restore a couple more hit points per hit die?

>>49987119
This has gone far beyond the scope of /5eg/.
>>
>>49987121
The lack of economy isn't because of low demand. It's because the product is so good and the supply so low that its effective market price is enormous. There's effectively no market - any transaction has to be set up as a coordinated one-time thing, and people who are willing to fork over enough gp to make it a good deal for the seller are rare. At best, the seller can sell it to some random merchant for a couple hundred gp.
Either way, extra cash isn't a good racial feature.
>>
>>49987141
>Maybe give them a device that creates air bubbles and allows them to cook food, letting them restore a couple more hit points per hit die?

I'm trying to go for a feeling closer to Conan. Access to fire is like access to steel. I don't imagine them carrying fire around, but wielding implements that result from access to fire.
>>
>>49987177
Or, alternatively, in this setting, everyone is so eager to buy metal goods that the dry folk mass-produce them and everybody has them anyway.
>>
>>49987177
sell it to whatever nobility or military there might be
I'm not saying its a good feature I'm saying you're wrong to call it useless
I have a feeling an underwater campaign is a gimmick doomed to fail anyway so w/e
>>
>>49987194
I still think the solution I gave you yesterday was ideal.

Proficiency list of things that happen on dry land. Let them choose 2.
>>
>>49987194
Then my best suggestion, again, is a tiny bonus to damage or damage resistance, representing a stronger material. In 5e, that's the only balanced way to improve weapons and armor.
>>
>>49987141
you're right of course, though I wonder what happened to our clown pepe posting originator of that discussion. I hope he heeds the advice given him.

>>49987077
Magic Item economy. If you actually wanted to sell your item at value or mark up, it would take time to find a contact with the resources willing to pay.

I wonder though, if we see more of Eberron if that setting will have a unique post wartime magic item economy or stockpile/expansive but comparably cheap magical services economy or some other unique trinket or minor minor magic item system put in place in 5E.
>>
File: dwarfstability.gif (131KB, 676x102px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfstability.gif
131KB, 676x102px
>>49985395
yes
>>
>>49987209
The problem with that suggestion is that many of those proficiencies will be entirely useless for the majority of the campaign area.

>>49987211
I'll try out this one and see how it works.
>>
>>49987257
>The problem with that suggestion is that many of those proficiencies will be entirely useless for the majority of the campaign area.
>people born and raised on dry land might not get the benefits of their dry land youth whilst underwater

You don't say.
>>
File: eliwood.png (13KB, 250x391px) Image search: [Google]
eliwood.png
13KB, 250x391px
>>49987304
have to admit this made me chuckle
>>
>>49987304
That's a poor design decision for making characters to select from.
>>
>>49987331
yeah it's almost like characters native to the sea will generally be better in a campaign set in the sea
seriously who would want to be a human with a literal world of possibilities for interesting sea based creatures, I have trouble getting why they do it in average games let alone this
>>
I was thinking of bringing over one of 3.5's "insanely broken spells" to 5e, except not as broken.

Celerity
4th level
Cast time: reaction (to anything)
Range: self
Instantaneous
Components: S

You can make one action, so long as it is either casting a spell of 1st, 2nd or 3rd level or a cantrip with a casting time of one action or one bonus action, make a weapon attack, or use the dash action. You take a level of exhaustion after performing the action. Casting celerity with a spell slot higher than 4th will increase the level of spell you can cast by one level for each level above 4th.

What do you think, does it seem balanced enough? If not, what should be added to balance it?
>>
>>49987304
Anon is trying to balance a dry-dwelling species for aquatic adventures in the same way that WotC tries to balance merfolk for land-based adventures. Except it's probably going to make more sense than merfolk. Be nice.

>>49987257
Good luck!
>>
>>49987331
Did you ever consider that it might be a poor design decision to base the entire concept of a race on not living in the areas where 99% of the game takes place?

regardless, just think of proficiencies that work underwater too, but would only be developed above water: fire eventually leads to basic chemistry, or alchemy for instance, which could be fluffed to work underwater with adjustments.
>>
>>49987372
They're meant to be the stranger race. They are in an utterly alien world. There's a great deal of inspiration from old school scifi for them, all the way up to actual bubble "helmets"
>>
>>49987356
forgive me but I can't see many reasons to ever use this
>>
>>49987356
Seems reasonable enough. Using a reaction to make a weapon attack has precedent. Maybe 3rd-level spells are a bit too much, but that's it.
At higher levels, I'd say you can cast a spell with level up to one-half the level of the slot you use to cast Celerity.

>>49987372
>Being this triggered by reverse mermaids
>>
>>49987412
>The ogre charges at you!
>Lol Misty Step
>>
>>49987414
>>49987411
I'm not triggered by the concept, I just think it's stupid to want to offer your players a "stranger" race, a literal human in water, without them being a figurative fish out of water.

Give them proficiencies that are useful on dry land, let the players find creative ways to use them underwater. Done.

I actually like the idea of an underwater campaign, but the guy making it is getting stupid with this question right now. He's shot down a lot of good ideas (not exclusively mine), because he wants to do something contradictory.
>>
hey guys, my friend is dming soon and wants to implement sanity and madness in a game (a dungeon delve in a mummy's tomb gone wrong). problem is, the sanity/madness rules are a bit bare bones in the dmg. how would y'all implement it? I was thinking at using some of the stuff in dark heresy
>>
>>49987467
>mmy's tomb gone wrong). problem is, the sanity/madness rules are a bit bare bones in the dmg. how would y'all implement it? I was thinking at using some of the stuff in dark heresy

Look at the old "Heroes of Horror" splatbook for 3.5. They had a lot of rules for madness and corruption which should work fine in 5E with some minor tweaking to things like DCs.
>>
>>49987435
>4th level slot to get out of a single attack
sensible chuckle.gif
>>
>>49987491
possibly one 4th level AND one 2nd level depending on if I'm understanding correctly
>>
>>49987412
Fireball didn't kill a horde of things after you and you need them dead before they attack you? Celerity, either run to safety or fireball again.
Fighter running up to shove big bad off cliff but he's too small? Celerity into enlarge person.
>>49987414
Half level spells or spell slot -2 or -3 spells was considered, but I thought using your only reaction and giving you exhaustion levels was enough. This would need actual playtesting to decide on what spell level you should cast. Now we just need someone to run this by their DM and get using it.
>>
>>49987530
Yeah, that's how I figured it should go.
>>
>>49987356
I'd say that's actually pretty okay, and I'm usually one to turn down homebrew.
>>
>>49987356
I think it's balanced just fine. Kinda like getting an extra readied action for a 4th level slot and a point of exhaustion. Maybe have the point of exhaustion go away after 1 minute though. If you want a long lasting effect go old school and add that you lose a year off your life every time you use the spell.
>>
>>49987257
For this aquatic game, you said something about changing up the equipment list? How did you change it?

Because it might be possible to give the Drylanders access to/discounts on certain pieces of gear. Admittedly, this may not come into play at 1st Level, but could be a useful trait down the line.
>>
>>49987241
>that gif

For a moment I heard a dial-up tone in my head, and a geocities website briefly flashed before my eyes...
>>
>>49987599
>lose a year off your life every time you use the spell.
That sounds nice if not for non humans having so many years ahead of them it never comes up.

One more thing, do you think it should be wizard "only", sorcerer "only", or bard only?
>>
>>49987356
>reaction (to anything)
Unacceptable. Every reaction needs some kind of specific trigger in 5e. It's what keeps the game from entering a total deadlock or everyone trying to slap in at once. It's the same reason why you can't delay your turn anymore; you can only ready actions with specific triggers you declare beforehand.
>>
>>49987626
The materials that compose much armor and weapons. Brittle materials like flint retain strength underwater and don't break as easily. Bone, chitin, padded kelp, woven shells, shark and fish skin. Even coral and living armors like molluscs that stick to the body.

Scrolls are like enchanted clams or shells that when broken open release the spell. Potions are made with weird alchemical sea slugs that naturall synthesize ingredients and magic. By literally consuming them do you get the effects of the potion.

They're a good mix of primitive-ness with biomechanics, but still firmly rooted in fantasy, not scifi.
>>
>>49987662
Bard's are really strong already and can get it through magical secrets if they want it that bad(I'm saying this as player who likes bards for other reasons, they are pretty strong). I would actually say sorcerer only would be quite helpful, they are a little weak because of their lack of spells known and small spell list.
>>
>>49987663
Well, it has to be a reaction, or else it wouldn't really be celerity now would it?
I suppose something really open like "a creature attempts to move or take an action" wouldn't be acceptable?
>>
>>49987663
>It's the same reason why you can't delay your turn anymore
unless your DM is cool =_=
>>
>>49983134
>How has poison featured in your campaigns lately?
One of the players decided he wanted to take up learning how to brew poisons.
Was an easy way for me to get them acquainted with the "darker" parts of the city.
>>
>>49987849
We decided to house rule you can delay your turn but if you do you will fall to bottom of the initiative list permanently for that combat.
>>
>>49987845
>else it wouldn't really be celerity now would it?
>I suppose something really open like "a creature attempts to move or take an action" wouldn't be acceptable
It would not fix the fundamental problem at hand, which is that you don't want people to be able to use reactions any time they want, because then the game becomes a giant game of mother-may-I. Specific triggers like "you take damage," "an enemy moves out of your reach," or "an enemy casts a spell" make reactions manageable.

If the essential nature of the Celerity spell is that it can be used at any time even when it's not your turn to break not only the action economy but the turn order, maybe we're all better off keeping it in the past.
>>
>>49983235
I like it
>>
>>49987849
You mean unless your DM is a pushover

>>49987902
I remember one of my first games of 5e when some munchkin said he delayed on his turn, and then when he tried to take a turn out of order the DM was like "what the hell are you doing?"
"I delayed my turn."
"Exactly. You spent your turn doing nothing. Maybe on your next turn you'll do something more useful."
Kid flew into a total tard rage. It was amazing.
>>
>>49988050
>thingsthatneverhapp~(1).asc
>>
>>49983355
Been writing mine for a month. Doing false Hydra. Got the idea from a thread on here.

You could do the one based on Poe if someone posts it.
>>
I just realized, Dex saves for most things are completely retarded.

What exactly is happening on a Dex save against fireball? Are you just blinking out of existence briefly? Tunneling through a tiny hole in reality to escape the blast without actually moving?

How would you feel about a rule where successful Dex saves move you towards the edge of the blast?
>>
>>49988176
pressing flat to floor / jumping over it
realistically it's actually moving out of the way then back to wherever you were I guess
as for what you mentioned that's actually what certain traps do (eg ceiling collapse trap in Lost Mine)
>>
>>49988050
Yeah, we also made clear that for our house rule that enemies can do it too. Keeps things from getting out of hand, and for the most part no one ever delays their turn now.
>>
>>49987940
What makes reactions manageable is that you only get one of them, not the trigger. What's worse, a fighter getting an opportunity attack on one foe because he sneezed mid battle and not being able to hit the one running away afterwards, or a fighter standing in the path of a herd of buffalo and hitting every single one that runs by?
>>
>>49988176
A lot of times it's stuff like just positioning yourself to take less damage - remember, Most saves only allow you to halve the damage, not ignore it.
For example, if you know a fireball is coming, you can turn around and tuck your head in, making sure to protect anything vulnerable. You still get scorched, but you don't get melty eyes and such.
I guess characters with evasion are just super good at that shit. Maybe they can spot an irregularity in the ground and partially hide behind it, only exposing bits of leather armor that don't really care about being burned.
>>
>>49988176

Since fireball is save for half, your character is hitting the ground, hiding behind your shield, dodging, throwing up a small magical shield or whatever. It basically means you reacted fast enough to find a way to mitigate that damage, whatever that might be for your particular class.
>>
>>49983897
In 3.5 there was Incarnum. Classes that used it shaped energy along with parts of their soul into what amounted to magical equipment and constitution was essentially their casting stat.
>>
>>49988202
Still seems off. I don't think there will be a perfect explanation, but moving away from the blast makes more sense to me in a lot of situations.

I think I'll go with a rule like this.

Whenever you succeed on a dexterity saving throw against an effect with the cone, cube, sphere, or cylinder type aoes, you automatically move 10 feet towards the nearest safe edge of that aoe. If you have a feature that allows you to take no damage on a successful Dex save, you instead move all the way out of the aoe.

Or something like that.
>>
>>49988489
I think pressing flat to half damage is pretty legit
>>
>>49987849
Like other person, that just means they're a pushover.

Either use the 'use your action to store an action you can use as a reaction' rule or do what the other anon suggested and 'if you delay your turn, your initiative goes to the very bottom and stays there' or just suck up that sometimes things aren't exactly how you want them, or ask for one of the weirder sorts of initiative such as the 'everybody decides an action, and then rolls initiative' thing.
>>
>walk into Duregar city
>group gets split right away
>dwarf and gnome get taken in by Inquisition
>other 4 meet up with the enslaved drow rebel group
>both groups sympathize with their party
>slave revolt on the brink of happening, party split to both sides, rebel team's elf might join fighting the duregar
>dwarf and gnome think us dead/in hiding/captured
>rest thinks dwarf and gnome were tortured to death by inquisition
>will inevitably meet each other again

How the hell can we resolve this in a way that doesn't result in a civil war with one half of the part being eradicated? Neither side will most likely change their alliance in this and our DM just kind of rolls with it, trying to get the group back together (emphasis on trying as each session ends with the group split in other ways again) but otherwise leaving everything to our own devices since he never planned for it to turn out this way but loves it.
>>
File: not amused.jpg (246KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
not amused.jpg
246KB, 400x800px
>one character says they tend not to trust strangers due to backstory stuff
>DM goes out of his way to make every NPC ultra heroic and valiant bordering on mary-sueism to spite that player
>rest of the groups face when
>>
>>49988538
To the ground? That's falling prone.
>>
>>49985541
>>49985721
Wait, what does? Desu senpai?
I thought that was just some meme.
>>
>>49983134
>>49983134
My players poisoned a piece of meat with a Potion of Poison, made a bunch of kobolds give it to a white dragon and then tricked the dragon into thinking his ally, a black half dragon, had sent the food.
>>
>>49988730
Nope, there's a 4chan filter on "t b h" and "f a m." And a good thing, too, because literally every other post was saying them.
But I'm pretty sure your own comment answered your question.
>>
Best flying companion for Revised Ranger?
>>
>>49988653
>when DMs constantly make the NPCs much better than the players

>>49988787
>dragons not keeping any very simple 'detect poison' types of spells, items or assistants
They deserved it.
>>
>>49988951
>white dragons being that forward-thinking
>>
>>49988981
An old one or educated one should be wise enough.
Otherwise, perhaps not.
>>
>>49984730
Sometimes you'd rather they suffer.
>>
Okay. I need to put out bounties on my PCs.

They just robbed the town hall at knifepoint. Jesus.

They're level 6 at the moment. I wanted the bounties to rise as they go up in level. Something done in previous editions?

Start at 1000gp for their level, goes up at level 11 to 5k? Level 15 to 10k?
>>
File: low blow roland.png (118KB, 805x574px) Image search: [Google]
low blow roland.png
118KB, 805x574px
>Tfw the party monk hates my paladin for killing "friendly" skeletons
>>
>>49989569
Which town?

Always remember: set prices relative to worth in chickens.
>>
>want to convert the avatar stats from Faiths and Avatars to 5e
Is this a good idea?
>>
>>49988176
Dex is used for avoiding physical phenomena because it's representative of one's ability to serpentine, find cover, or get out of the way.

> inb4 Y NOT STR 4 BOWS
>>
>>49989894
>inb4ing 2 hours after the post when nobody has mentioned bows
>>
>>49989838
No. The avatars are basically fucking useless statblocks
>>
File: 1477590974956.jpg (700KB, 1530x4603px) Image search: [Google]
1477590974956.jpg
700KB, 1530x4603px
>>49989838
>>
>>49989968
How's that? They're meant to be beyond conceivable mortal stats.
>>
>>49990124
Hence being useless.
>>
Can the Open Hand Monk flurry of blows shove be used to send an enemy upwards provided that they are above you?
>>
>>49990229
Same as any other shove. So, yes, at least RAW.
>>
>>49990157
Nah, it'd be interesting to see how they stack up against each other. Also they are known for greek pantheon esque shenanigans.
>>
>>49989838
Could be cool, especially to see who wins in a fight and how you could help one win(or finish one off maybe if they were weakened and you had a sweet-ass godkiller blade or something).
>>
File: 1451504367584.jpg (80KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1451504367584.jpg
80KB, 1440x1080px
>GM wants stats rolled 3d6 down the line
>then everyone puts those rolls into a pool, and everyone chooses the numbers they want

Fucking why? Why do this. It serves no purpose and will take twenty minutes when we could just use standard array or point buy like sane people
>>
>>49990471
Gather all the 18s onto one character
kill off all other characters
repeat
>>
>>49990471
>>49990496
Oh, no, wait, I get it.

A pool as in an array of whatever people rolled.

It's basically just an overpowered array if you do it like that.
Then again, 'down the line' implies that you can't swap stats around, so it could be fun until the only good stat is 18 charisma 18 con and the others are shit so everybody becomes charisma based
>>
>>49990471
I see what he's going for. I guess he wants a randomized pool for the group which could be at a huge advantage or disadvantage if the group can't balance properly.

It's a bit too much. Some would even say the 4d6 roll on each is too much.
>>
File: 1382326933657.jpg (341KB, 1200x877px) Image search: [Google]
1382326933657.jpg
341KB, 1200x877px
I'm in a slight predicament after todays session.

One of my players got their leg maimed after an encounter with a Hill Giant. One of the other PC's looked it over and was able to deduce the severity of it - that its pretty much useless unless he gets it healed through either intensive care (he'd suffer DEX penalties regardless) or through magic - A Greater Restoration Spell.

We are in a relatively high magical setting, what would be a reasonable cost for this spell to be used on a PC? How do you guys RP serious injuries/recoveries like this?
>>
>>49990471
This thread is now about imaginary ways to roll characters

>Roll 2d6+6 up the line
>Mental ability scores first so that physical scores are bounded by the law of averages
>>
File: 1473307038948.png (150KB, 700x615px) Image search: [Google]
1473307038948.png
150KB, 700x615px
how to quit a physical group when you play with some of those people in another group
>>
>>49990589
Civilly explain your reasons for leaving the first group.
>>
>>49990560
Do they know any decent healers, or are there any churches with services like that available?

you could turn it into some sort of side quest where they offer it at a discount (donation to the church) since it's a temple but ask the party for a favour after, specifically towards the player they healed. he or the party could deny, but then they'd close a door to future cheap healing.
>>
>>49990624
To keep a long story short:
They were gladiators forced into service after breaking a code of honor amongst their original gladiator group.

They got a pardon from a corrupt Senator after he saw them fight in the arena and was impressed by them. So the first thing the group does after being freed illicitly is to go try to "take revenge" against the old gladiator group.

Well it didn't really work out so great. They also betrayed a gang of Kenku who were operating in the city (sold them out to the guards when they got arrested prior to being forced as gladiators) who are hunting them.

They aren't exactly in friendly territory is my point.
>>
>>49990608
i'm leaving because I don't like the people I'm playing with.

"Fuck you guys, I'm going home" can't really be civil in terms of explanation..
>>
>>49990660
Do they have any ties in the city? The Senator?

Is there anyone who might take pity on them? Like a religious group that isn't crazy about the corruption in the city? Or another criminal group that might want their help?

A heal in exchange for a favour might be a way to go either way if you don't want a player stuck in a crippled state for too long.
>>
>>49990715
make up some reasons like "i just don't have time for 2 sessions a week anymore, and the other session fits into my existing schedule way better". Calmly explain your fake reasons for leaving.
>>
Is there any mechanical benefit to jumping in combat?
>>
>>49990774
that seems like an easier way to explain it

thank you, anon.
>>
>>49990775
+1 Radical
>>
>>49989806
Homebrew town of about 1,200, but also a satrapy of an Empire who's capital has something like 120,000.
>>
>>49990775
not unless your DM is fun
>>
>>49990758
Good point. I'll think of something in that regard but what do you think a fair asking price would be? I was thinking something rather expensive, like 300-500gp.
>>
>>49990775
If you've got a good DM, he will reward you every now and then by presenting scenarios where jumping is the exact right thing to do.

But outside of DM support, no.
>>
>>49990496
>>49990496
>>49990496
This guy gets itt
>>
>>49990815
A level 1-2 spell is supposed to sell for around 10-50G based on the PHB for downtime activity (players selling spells for gold). Since it's a level 5 spell it'll likely be more pricey, depending how widely available spells are.

If healing magic isn't that available in your city it might be more pricey. If it's more common it could be more affordable, and you can always try persuasion rolls to lower the cost based on the NPC taking pity or just have the party barter to trade for favours or items before the heal or after the heal.

If you have some rival gang offer to help heal him it might give the party an opportunity an entrance to the gang and start a gang war or something against the group that wronged them. Could be fun.
>>
>>49988951
The poison didn't do much to the dragon, mind you. 14 points of damage and that was it. Even though he rolled low, he saved and avoided the poisoned condition.
>>
what are some good ways to make basic encounters/quest more interesting? I'm running the level 1-3 part in PotA, and one of the quests for instance is just 'there are bandits around here that are a nuisance, we think they camp around here. Can you go deal with them?' and that's pretty much it. Sure, its something to do and its gold & xp, but it isn't very interesting
>>
What exactly is necrotic damage? Is it pretty much a plague/disease sort of damage, or something more?
>>
>Enemy is 30 feet away
>Punch self
>Activate Flurry of Blows
>Punch self twice, Open Hand Monk shove twice toward enemy
>Kick utterly stupefied enemy in face
>>
File: iu[5].jpg (117KB, 640x416px) Image search: [Google]
iu[5].jpg
117KB, 640x416px
>>49988653
>GM makes city feel like oppressive dystonian hellhole
>everyone treats us like rapists
>he gets mad at us when we say we want to leave city because the people are assholes
>calls us ungrateful, and tells us the city is totally a nice place with good people
>creates plot devices to force us to stay in city because he "spent so long making this city"
>some players have to make new characters because plot device
>gm has some NPCs be obnoxiously nice when they were treating us like dog rapists a day prior
it's almost like

if you treat people like shit

they won't like you or want to help you
>>
>>49990944
The way I imagine it, it looks like black lightning and its very loud and crackling, and basically has a sort of life sucking feel when getting hurt by a spell or ability that does necrotic damage. There might be a better description of it in the PHB or the DMG.
>>
>>49990971
>shove yourself 30 feet in the air above opponent
>open up bag of holding containing tens of thousands of ball bearings, dead rats, juggled daggers, glaives, polearms and tridents, suits of platemail, and sticks of dynamite
>deal 9001d4 memetic damage.
>>
>>49991051
Are the daggers still juggled if they're just sitting in a bag?
>>
>>49991051
>dm won't let me get bag of devouring so I can try to murder enemies with it
i just want a bag named hungry hungry Henry got dammit
>>
File: tired pepe.jpg (6KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
tired pepe.jpg
6KB, 250x241px
>>49991015
That sounds fucking awful
>be captured and locked in dungeon without any of our stuff
>again, because that seems to be the DM's fetish
>be spoken to telepathically be a wizard npc
>go investigate, the suspicious player tries to determine if he's lying, through insight
>the DM admits he is, through gritted teeth
>party meets up with him, guard up, very suspicious
>wizard says he'll teleport out, get some help for us
>don't trust him because suspicious player is part of the party and doesn't trust him
>wizard teleports out by himself anyway
>then comes back and one-shots the boss for us
>DM is outraged when we don't thank him profusely for "saving" us
>>
>>49990944
It's basically negative energy but refluffed so it can hurt undead, just like how radiant energy can hurt nonundead.
>>
>>49984128
That makes no fucking sense. Paladins are literally powered by faith.
>>
>>49984128
Sounds like you fundamentally misunderstand the Paladin class to me, anon.
>>
File: 11770-4941-21309.jpg (19KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
11770-4941-21309.jpg
19KB, 320x240px
>>49984737
The goddess you're looking for is Sune.
>>
>>49991183
Actually, that would be fun to try to play.
>>
>>49991162
>>49991183
Sounds to me like you morons misunderstand the possibilities of the class.

>not playing a conflicted soul, who as he resolves conflicted nature through his travels gains power.

You aren't the best paladin ever at level 1. You're a fucking nobody. You haven't even sworn a sacred oath yet. So starting with flaws, and working through them is perfectly fine.
>>
>>49991118
it hasn't been much fun for a while. he's very dm vs. players and likes to wank his ego.

Pretty funny your DM never expected an insight check and was bitter someone found out his plan. rest of it sounds pretty shitty though.
>>
>>49991225
By level 3 a paladin has sworn an oath that is a fundamental law of their universe, that's like at most a month of game time. Level 1 paladins are worth 3-4 average men and worth more than a town guard to an area. They are better fighters, better equipped, better trained, and are on the precipice of a breakthrough to becoming a pillar of what their oath stands for.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about. Redemption is fine, but it's a one way street with paladins.
>>
>>49985645
>>49985656
>Go into dungeon
>Come out
>Cart and donkey are gone
>Hire hirelings to guard the cart next time
>Hirelings are dead when we get out
???
>>
>>49991304
None of what you just said prevents a paladin from feeling conflicted and working through it to true conviction. Are you legitimately retarded?

If paladins drew strength from conviction, and their convictions were at 100% at level 3, they would never get more powerful.
>>
>>49991304
That doesn't mean the characters have to be Mary sue zealots who can't have feelings outside of their oath.
>>
>>49991304
this is legitimately as retarded a way of thinking as that one guy a while back who thought all rogues had to be thieves.
>>
File: ss+(2016-10-27+at+07.56.03).jpg (204KB, 653x498px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-10-27+at+07.56.03).jpg
204KB, 653x498px
>>49991225
Good bait, here's a (you.)

I'll even throw this image in for you, since you don't seem to have read the Paladin's flavor text.
>>
>>49991360
there's a guy in my group who thinks druids need to be illiterate and 100% ignorant of the world

some people are just special in the head
>>
>>49991389
I will warrant you that there's a single sentence that seems to support your standpoint, but it's hardly anything as extreme as an oath of ancients Paladin being an arrogant tool.
>>
>>49991389
>your oath might represent standards of behavior that you have not yet attained

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>49991327
That's like saying just because a warlock finished signing his pact he's not going to get any more powerful. Gaining power and growing in power aren't necessarily part of the same mechanism.

>>49991339
"Outside of their oath" being the key part here. They literally can't doubt the sincerity of their oath. They can perhaps doubt their ability to fulfill it, but they can't doubt the righteousness of the oath itself. As written in >>49991389, paladins may not embody their oath yet by they sure do believe in it.

OP (Original Paladin) literally wants to play a Paladin of the Crown that doesn't really believe in the law. Like he got drafted and "granted" paladin powers but thinks the Oath is bullshit. A paladin like that wouldn't be able to function. >>49991162 and >>49991183 (and >>49984445, who said the same thing like 12 hours ago) have it right.

>>49991402
Not relevant. Arrogance is basically built into the Ancients oath.
>>
>>49991420
They meant you don't act like it all the time, but you still fucking believe in it. Read the original question again - the guy literally doesn't want to believe in his oath. That's completely absurd.
>>
>>49991435
>having flaws means you can't believe in your oath

you keep saying retarded things.
>>
>>49991426
The law in an area could be unjustified and disgusting based on where he came from. Maybe slavery is legal in his area and he is even supposed to help a slaver, and that's the law, but it hurts his morale compass.

The world is not so simple, and neither is the human mind. Part of faith is questioning it.
>>
>>49991426
>That's like saying just because a warlock finished signing his pact he's not going to get any more powerful. Gaining power and growing in power aren't necessarily part of the same mechanism.

That analogy doesn't track at all.

A paladin draws strength from intial training, and later convictions. A paladin at level 1 with flaws that work against his convictions is not very powerful. A paladin at level 20 that has worked through his flaws is powerful.

It's a perfectly valid narrative concept that fits into the idea of paladins this edition. Trying to restrict it is just the same arbitrary bullshit that lead to paladins falling in no win scenarios. So never DM.
>>
I got some pretty awesome rolls for a barbarian, but if I'd taken a race like orc or dragon I would've been overpowered with 18 starting strength.

so I decided to go human and feat spam, going to take great weapon master and maybe lucky? about to hit level 4
>>
>>49991470
In your example, though, the paladin shouldn't be questioning his faith - he should be questioning his moral compass. After all, he swore a sacred oath affirming that law is more important than morality. So he might have some internal conflict, but if it causes him to question the law instead of himself, he never believed in the oath enough in the first place to become a paladin.

>>49991496
I actually agree with you, sort of. I still think the analogy works. You could also have a warlock that signs away more and more of his soul for more and more power. Conversely, you could have a paladin that gets his initial powers from his oath and then learns how to use them better by practicing.
Narratively, your idea makes sense; but within the structure of D&D, it's clear that it's not the default way it's supposed to function. A paladin should be able to gain in levels without internal growth due to the nature of experience and levels.
>>
>>49991517
>cares about being overpowered
>takes GWM and Lucky on a Barbarian
These things do not belong.
>>
>>49991285
I used to get a little salty when something I made went over too easy as a DM, now I just sit back and laugh because I don't give a flying fuck.

Although I do still get off to beating down a headstrong player but I think any DM does ;)
>>
>>49991547
>Narratively, your idea makes sense; but within the structure of D&D, it's clear that it's not the default way it's supposed to function. A paladin should be able to gain in levels without internal growth due to the nature of experience and levels.

Sadly, this is a system issue. Other games manage to tie in narrative and character growth much better, so it's up to the DM to provide this all his own in this edition. That's one reason I prefer the milestone system for leveling.
>>
Could you fairly refluff Legendary Resistance as Dio Brando's time stopping abilities?
Planning on having my party fight him or at least a vampire modeled after him for the Curse of Strahd Lite adventure they are going on.
Going to give him evasion while taking away Shape Changer, Misty Escape, Spider Climb, and Children of the Night.
>>
>>49991573
>Although I do still get off to beating down a headstrong player
i don't really get that mentality

if they're being a metagaming minmaxing pick I understand, but if they're just doing well or not playing like an idiot it seems sadistic.
>>
>>49991573
Remind me of when I use gaseous form to bypass the whole fortress dungeon my DM set up.

We felt a bit bad for him but we all have a good laugh afterward.
>>
>>49991558
I thought feats were weak compared to straight stats? I was going to pick mobile or something else then, I didnt realize lucky was broken
>>
>>49991613
Sorry I worded it fairly wrong. I do get some sadistic pleasure out of carelessness I suppose.

No, I don't get a kick off knocking down a player whos playing well haha.
>>
>>49991327
Feeling convicted isn't constantly tempted to steal things because you are an ex-con, it means you might disagree with your lord.

>>49991339
Zealousy would be a flaw of a Devotion oath and a fundamental aspect of the Vengeance oath.

>>49991360
Saying "paladins follow their oaths" is not saying "all paladins can only be one thing." It is saying a rogue shouldn't have the flaw of "I try one on one in brought daylight and try to never choose use my sneak attack."

>>49991390
And a Druid shouldn't have the flaw of "society must progress at all cost and I like the way metal armor looks on me."

>>49991470
It would fall on the orders of your lord and not your opinion for oath of the crown, and using your best judgement otherwise.

>>49991496
But at level 1 a paladin is mid-stride going from "trainee" to full fledged Hero of that Oath. A level 1 player is not a dirt farmer or a novice by any measure.

>>49991574
No, it's your fitting a square peg in a round hole. If you wanted to be a good man finding the strength of virtue to become a paladin they should probably have levels in other classes as they go, and not be 100% paladin. Maybe a fighter paladin (or a Swashbuckler paladin who had the roguish character traits but still is a honorable duelist).

D&D is not a very good game for characters that are bad at what they do, those are pretty much forced into NPC roles.
>>
>>49991675
Haha, oh man. No sir, they're equivalent, if not better.
>>
>>49991120
Although it really only works on maybe 2/3 of undead, and most of those resist if they aren't entry level. It's kinda silly.
>>
>>49991675
lucky is borderline. It's widely considered the best feat in the game, and often used as an example of OPness when combined with divination wizards and halflings. But like all things that are considered "OP" in this game, the DM can easily rebalance around it.

The real problems balance wise with this edition come not with features everyone has access to, like lucky, but with classes being less useful compared to others.
>>
>>49991734
>The real problems balance wise with this edition come not with features everyone has access to, like lucky, but with classes being less useful compared to others.
You kinda sound like you've never played much of older editions desu. Other than 4e, this edition has the most interclass balance by far.
>>
>>49991700
>>49991734
What's a decent feat that's not broken? I'm using a maul or axe
>>
>>49991706
It's funny how undead resist refluffed negative energy but living things dont resist refluffed positive energy
>>
How does adding proficiency with tools work with rolls? How do I know what to add to it? Is it just the Proficiency Bonus and nothing else?
>>
>>49991285
He was a very, very bad DM
Fortunately he's not allowed to DM now.
Unfortunately he's an even worse player.
>>
>>49991843
When you use a tool, the DM decides which ability makes the most sense based on how you're using it. Then you roll that ability, and if you're proficient with the tool you also add your prof bonus.
>>
>>49991842
The only real reason it bothers me is Chill Touch, the second rider effect is just odd when the spell is likely to do minimal to no damage.
>>
>>49991690
A person can have world experiences without having class levels. That's what backgrounds are for. Have you even read the PHB?

Roleplaying a person who started as a thief or outlaw, but later took an oath is mechanically possible without devoting any levels to non paladin classes.
>>
>>49991812
Martial adept? Magic initiate? I have 4 wis and 7 int
>>
>>49991931

>4 Wis

Making Forest Gump look sagely over here. Enjoy your hold persons.
>>
File: a good dm.jpg (435KB, 780x1901px) Image search: [Google]
a good dm.jpg
435KB, 780x1901px
>>49991687
That's understandable. Carelessness is a good excuse.

Ours tends to punish the entire party for one players carelessness, quite severely at times. The player won't learn the lesson and all of his penalties have been minor in retrospect. They're friends with the DM so it feels like he'd toning down things so the guy can keep his character but gladly fucks with the rest of us even if we were innocent bystanders in the part. He even had us go to jail and get convicted as accessories to the crime for "failing to stop the crime".

>>49991874
Hopefully he doesn't DM anymore?
>>
>>49991987
DUDE. Forrest Gump is one of the great philosophers of our time. His Int is nothin' to write home about, but his Wis is fantastic.
>>
If I want to dip 3 levels into lock, as a paladin (ancients and fey), what's the best time to do it? I was thinking somewhere around the 5-7 range. Maybe like 5pal then alternate lock and pal for a few levels?
>>
>>49991877
It's a cantrip meant for Necromancers. If you somehow lose control of one of your undead minions, you can avoid being attacked while not necessarily destroying it.
>>
>>49992072
Don't. DnD classes are rigid, and warlock and paladin are fundamentally opposite. Any good DM will ban that sort of multiclass.
>>
>>49992072
1 pally (better proficiencies) -> 2 lock (get dat powered eldritch blast ASAP) -> 3 pally (oath) -> 4 lock (for pact boon and ASI) -> straight pally (better features from here on out).
>>
>>49992072
Why are you taking three levels of Warlock? For a Pact Boon? Just get to Paladin 8 and spend your feat on Magic Initiate / Ritual Caster instead. Warlock 3 doesn't do anything for you worth delaying Paladin 7's aura buff. You get your short rest recharge spells for Smiting right off the bat with Warlock, so the only reason to go further is for Invocations, which is only level 2.
>>
>>49992072
3 pally, then straight 17 warlock.

Warlock offers 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level casting, which generally makes it better than comparable options which don't offer those.
>>
>>49992129
>banning a class mixture outright because muh class purity
>not allowing for growth into the multiclass through story-related events
>>
>>49992129
Not really. Especially if he is ancients paladin and fey warlock. Those are both relatively loosely binding.
>>
>>49992159
no one gets past level 11
you should probably design your build for maximum fun at 8 because that's where the majority of groups are going to die anyway
>>
>>49992186
Eh, my players have. The statistic that most games don't make it past 10 is mostly due to most groups splintering due to bullshit. If you've got a dedicated group of relaxed friends, then you stand a much better chance.
>>
>>49992175
i'd ban them too, unless there was some sort of valid reason or if it was a less orthodox version of pally/warlock
>>
>>49992153
Yeah, for either chain familiar or ritual casting. I would eventuality grab a few more levels in warlock ideally, but this is just the initial few.
>>
File: wuxing.jpg (15KB, 270x217px) Image search: [Google]
wuxing.jpg
15KB, 270x217px
>>49992175
>people told me Fighter/Monk was OK
>they flipped their shit when I said I wanted to continue to wear armor and a shield all the time
Fuck you, I am a teleporting wuxia shit-shover and Metal is an element
>>
>>49992242
that's because wearing armor and a shield really fucks with half the monk's abilities, despite what your weeb bullshit may say
>>
>>49992129
Fey Warlock and Ancients Paladin could literally come from the same patron, though. Pretty sure that's why anon decided to use them together.

>>49992159
No, Warlock gets one spell/day of any level higher than 5th. Paladin gets class features which are straight-up better than that.

>>49992225
From experience, there's no real reason. Unless you want some specific invocations, Warlock doesn't offer much at higher levels - your eldritch blast keeps getting stronger based on total character level.
>>
>>49992242
Monks don't get like 80% of their class features while wearing armor. What are you actually getting out of the class?
>>
>>49992129
>Paladins and Warlocks are fundamentally opposite

What is Undying Light Warlock for 500, Alex.
>>
>>49992266
I like the idea of a familiar thematically, especially the sprite for ancients paladin. Down the road I was thinking of getting either 4 or 5 levels for the asi break point or the 3rd level spell slot. I would also ideally like 3 invocations for agonizing/pact specialized/devils sight, since I am playing a human without dark vision.
>>
File: woolie i will steal.png (267KB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
woolie i will steal.png
267KB, 500x390px
Quick rundown of upcoming 5e stuff:

Volo's Guide to Monsters released November 4th on Roll20 and in WPN stores, and on the 15th to everyone else. ~100 monster stat blocks plus an NPC appendix, probably around 10 playable races (goblins, orcs, tritons, catfolk, aasimar, firbolgs, goliaths, possibly kenku, possibly kobolds, definitely no gnolls), and 7 monster lairs with maps.

The next Unearthed Arcana should be out November 7th, it's slated to be the next Mystic playtest up to 20th level. If it playtests well it's likely the last playtest before the Mystic gets printed outright, probably in late 2017.

The Unearthed Arcana after that should be December 5th, likely to be new downtime systems focused on having a use for money at high levels.

The next book is currently codenamed "Labyrinth" with an April 4th release date. Most people are guessing it's based around Undermountain in Forgotteon Realms, but take any guesses with a grain of salt because of WotC's past codenames (Cloak = Curse of Strahd, Dagger = Storm King's Thunder).
>>
>>49992284
>>49992259
>Unarmored Defense
Disabled by armor / shields. Not important since you're wearing armor and a shield.

>Martial Arts
Armor / shields disable the Dex as an AB/damage stat, d4 (and increasing) unarmed / Monk weapon damage, and the bonus unarmed attack. None of this matters if you aren't using unarmed attacks.

>Ki
No feature is disabled by use of armor or a shield.

>Unarmored Movement
Armor / shields disable the bonus movement speed, but not the 9th level ability to run up walls or water.

>Deflect Missiles
Not disabled. Having your hands taken up by a shield and a weapon will prevent you from returning the attack, though.

>Slow Fall
Not disabled.

>Stunning Strike
Not disabled.

>Ki Empowered Strikes
Not disabled, but this only works with your unarmed attacks, which you aren't using.

>Evasion
Not disabled.

>Stillness of the Mind
Not disabled.

>Purity of Body
Not disabled.

>Tongue of the Sun and Moon
Not disabled.

>Diamond Soul
Not disabled.

I'm gonna save everyone the trouble of reading every other feature, because they're all not disabled. Even the archetypes have nothing in them about armor or shields, though Open Hand requires an unarmed strike for Quivering Palm (you're just doing shit damage) and the Open Hand Technique stuff requries Flurry of Blows hits (which can still be made, just at 1+Str damage a pop).

It's literally only move speed, unarmored AC, and your unarmed strike power.
>>
>>49992395
>Definitely no Gnolls

Well fuck
>>
>>49992395
>The next Unearthed Arcana should be out November 7th, it's slated to be the next Mystic playtest up to 20th level. If it playtests well it's likely the last playtest before the Mystic gets printed outright, probably in late 2017.
Hooray, maybe now I can convince my group to let me play one.
>>
>>49992396
>Ki
Yes, you can make two unarmed strikes... which have a damage of 1+str. And you're giving up fighter extra attacks for it. Sounds kinda dumb.

>Everything else
Ok, you get decent movement abilities. But it's harder to make use of them because you're slower, and also I ran out of arguments and if you like the combination have fun.
>>
>>49992395
>The next Unearthed Arcana should be out November 7th, it's slated to be the next Mystic playtest up to 20th level. If it playtests well it's likely the last playtest before the Mystic gets printed outright, probably in late 2017.

This is probably safe to assume but it's also rebalancing the level 1-10 stuff right?

because Mystic order of the immortal gets absolutely insane psychic smite shit, I think they could add like 4d10 psychic damage for a couple psi points by like level 5
>>
You can cast a bonus action cantrip and an action cantrip in the same round, right? I'm not crazy?
>>
New Thread:
>>49992520

New Thread:
>>49992520
>>
>>49992474
My campaign isn't getting to level 11 so there's no point in worrying about a third attack, and I'm spending all my ki on Shadow Monk spells, Stunning Strike, and Dodge-as-bonus because I'm the tank.
>>
>>49992396
Okay, so you've succeeded at making a Fighter that wasted 10 stat points getting Dex and Wisdom to at least 13 in order to delay your fighter levels in exchange for a bunch of ribbons and inferior maneuvers.

You know you can just pretend that Battlemaster is a samurai, right?
>>
>>49992559
>getting Dex and Wis to 13 is bad
What else is a Fighter going to do with his extra stat points? Are a few Dex and Wis saves not worthwhile? Does Resilient no longer exist? Would this character be better mechanically if he had more Int somehow or didn't dump Cha? I'm playing Mountain Dwarf, so I have an extra Str point to kick around, also; started at 16 Str and Con.

Hell, the last time I played a Fighter (straight class) I had identical starting stats as this Monk MC.
>>
>>49992266
Paladin class features are definitely not better than higher level casting. That's really a binary thing:either you have access to sixth level spells, or you're slightly worse than the people that do.
>>
>>49991887
I said that you tool, a background is just that - behind you. A level 1 paladin can be a reformed criminal but not one that was tossed a sword and told "go get 'em, champ!"

If you are still a criminal - i.e. still debating committing crimes for whatever reason - you have done a bad job making a paladin character.
>>
>>49993147
Why not just customize your background? Start with Acolyte, swap out a skill proficiency for Thieves' Tools (because you don't forget how to pick a lock just because you don't do second-story work anymore), and you've got a criminal who entered the priesthood to atone for his crimes. Works for me.
>>
File: Ykzw7gF[1].jpg (29KB, 600x502px) Image search: [Google]
Ykzw7gF[1].jpg
29KB, 600x502px
I'm bored and trying to come up with a nanomachine origin for sorcerers mostly because I really liked the Iron Gods pathfinder campaign and all related materials. Need some opinions.

1: You have glowing 'tattoos' on your skin, which are conduits that your nanites move along. You know the Light cantrip, and if you target your own body with it you don't need any components, and it lasts until dismissed.

1. You can cause your nanites to surge within you, boosting your abilities. This functions as a self-only bardic inspiration (does not stack with similar abilities/inspiration for balance sake), and causes your markings to glow for a round if they're not glowing already. Not sure if this needs a sorcery point cost or just a 'X per short rest' limit.

6. You can gain reactive resistance to damage; when you're hit with an attack that deals acid/cold/fire/electricity/poison damage, you can spend X sorcery points to gain resistance to that damage for one hour. Your markings glow while this is active. This ability can only grant one resistance at a time. Not sure how to price it (draconic sorcerers get resistance for 1 point, but it's only one type of damage. This is more versatile).

14. Fuck if I know.

18. You effectively become a living machine. Your type changes to construct, and you become immune to disease and the poisoned condition. You can cast gaseous form on yourself at will, transforming into a cloud of nanomachines. Not sure if that should have a cost.
>>
Here's a character I'm having a lot of fun with
Druid: 20 WIS, 7 INT. Not retarded, pretty dumb. He talks like an american hillbilly and wears only dirty squirrel fur trousers. Despite his aggravating stupidity, it's nearly impossible to sneak things by him, and he always seems to kind of know what's going on. Once failed a stealth check when he informed his dwarven party member that he's "louder than two skeletons making out under a tin roof in a hailstorm"
>>
>>49992614
Take feats?
>>
>>49993188
Did you even read anything I just said?
Thread posts: 353
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.