[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3: https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDAB

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 377
Thread images: 56

File: Malazan Moon's Spawn.jpg (81KB, 736x907px) Image search: [Google]
Malazan Moon's Spawn.jpg
81KB, 736x907px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread >>49983134

What's the worst session you've ever played or DMed?
>>
File: magnificentemporium.png (1MB, 809x729px) Image search: [Google]
magnificentemporium.png
1MB, 809x729px
My group is going shopping in Waterdeep this upcoming session and we have a few thousand gold to kick around. We've already got platemail (which needs some cheap repairs before it's useable) for our heavy armor classes, so what's some good shit to spend our cash on? We're doing STK if that changes anything.
>>
File: 1428300546445.jpg (499KB, 1500x821px) Image search: [Google]
1428300546445.jpg
499KB, 1500x821px
When your PCs are part of a small company in a big city, how do you justify them getting missions that are interesting or fun before they have wide recognition?
Is "protagonist plot luck" an acceptable answer?
>>
File: 1477182148301.jpg (110KB, 658x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1477182148301.jpg
110KB, 658x1000px
new DM here, i'll be DMing for a new group in the near future... what are some absolute must have resources/books/tools?
>>
>>49992641
how does that chainmail turtleneck stay up
wouldn't her long hair get caught between the links when she moves and hurt real bad
why wear giant spikey metal pauldrons but forego a metal chestplate
is she standing on her tip-toes or are there stiletto heels we can't see
where is her scabbard
only idiots use strapped shields
3/10 would not allow on the front lines
>>
>>49992699
I was 105% with you until >only idiots use strapped shield
Literally all European shields ever were strapped. You do know that, right?
>>
To the fellow whose character died last night,

It was a dick move for me to rules lawyer that hard but the death wasn't permanent and you could have run back inside the hut. Plus it was hilarious.

Sincerely,
The Asshole Who Otherwise Keeps You Cunts Alive
>>
>>49992699
Westaboo armor snobs are the worst. I get it, you like accurate representations of medieval armor, but that doesn't mean all artwork has to be devoid any stylistic choice.
>>
>>49992582
Spell components. I forgot to buy a diamond for Revivify and it very nearly mattered.
>>
File: vikings.jpg (10KB, 175x312px) Image search: [Google]
vikings.jpg
10KB, 175x312px
>>49992789
Is Fennoscandia still part of Europe or did I miss the memo
>>
>>49992848
This shield is strapped.
>>
>>49992636
They make a name for themselves and someone gambles on them being just as good but cheaper. Happens in the real world often enough. Hell, the company I work for got hired on to save another company because it turned out they couldn't handle the work and real professionals were needed
>>
>>49992699
A headpiece under the helmet.
Yeah, sucks for her.
Style, to go with the landknecht sleeves, and there could be a metal plate under the weird mock corset tabard, though she's stick skinny.
Neither, just a solid greave front piece that goes to the ankle, drawn from a perspective.
She probably just shoulders the blade to carry it, as landsknechts did.
Shields in 5e are assumed to be strapped, hence why they take an action to don or doff.
>>
File: vikingback.jpg (16KB, 250x274px) Image search: [Google]
vikingback.jpg
16KB, 250x274px
>>49992860
The strap is so you can sling the thing on your back, not for tying your arm in. The whole point of these shields is to allow you to pivot the shield at your wrist instead of your elbow and shoulder, that's completely sabotaged if it's connected to your forearm somehow.
>>
Is there any creative use of a pseudo dragon familiar?

>>49992520
To prevent future shitposting, always add /5eg/ to the subject line of new threads. It helps people filter.
>>
>>49992641
Make spell sheets for the casters with quick references for damage and whether it's a concentration spell or not. I like note cards for keeping track of initiative and important stats. Don't be afraid to kill the party if they do something stupid and don't be afraid to pull some punches if random dice rolls would completely ruin the fun. That said, don't be afraid to fudge some stuff if that faggot cleric needs to drop Spirit Guardians
>>
File: shieldslash.gif (42KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
shieldslash.gif
42KB, 384x224px
>>49992880
>hence why they take an action to don or doff
5E is anti-fun and doesn't approve of SHIELD THROW shenanigans.
>>
>>49992636
The pcs get the crappy dangerous missions that nobody powerful is unwise enough to take.

These are also the most fun.
>>
>>49992933
Just the usual creative uses for familiars unless you run across some not very intelligent cultists/kobolds/whatever.
>>
>>49992880
I need to trade in my heavy crossbow then because there's no way I can manage a shield and that big motherfucker
>>
File: Big B.png (1MB, 864x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Big B.png
1MB, 864x1200px
So

New campaign started

The players (myself included) conspired to secretly all roll up gnome mafia members instead of a normal-ass party.

I'm the muscle.

Completely ignored the DM's plot hook in which we were to steal from one thieves' guild in the name to another for what turned out to be a glorified dick-waving contest and one-upped both guilds by stealing the scepter of the King.

That'll teach those guild bastards to hire THE FAMILY for a dumb-ass contest.
>>
Is 5e better or worse than PF?
>inb4 they're different genres
>>
>>49993008
5e is objectively worse than 4e, and tied with pf. Your use case may shift things in favor of one or the other.
>>
>>49993008
Better, but if you grew up on pathfinder you will probably miss the intricacy of 3.0-3.75
>>
>>49993048
You mean the terrible and deceptive non-options.
>>
File: smug anime 11.png (720KB, 1002x1070px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime 11.png
720KB, 1002x1070px
>>49993037
>worse than 4e
>tied with pf
This is what 4rries actually believe.

Go back to wanking over your MM3 math and Strike!
>>
>>49993073
Shhh! No! Now the 3aboos will come and shit over the thread!
>>
>>49993073
You mean actual options, but considered non options by morons too stupid to work within a tier list.

In a game with lots of options, some will be worse than others.

5e achieved greater class balance by watering down everything. Pf has a lot of intricacy and options, at the expense of balance. Both are valid ways to have fun.
>>
>>49992995
>Completely ignored the DM's plot hook
Wow that's so funny and original and I'm sure your DM really fucking appreciates it
>>
>>49993108
Dude don't compare those guys to the glory that is Might and Magic 3.
>>
>>49993162
He actually did. He always builds his settings from the top-down and he had enough planned that he could effectively improv everything he needed.

He's a real gem of a DM. Given the horror stories that circulate around here, I'm real glad we have him.
>>
>>49993142
>I'm objectively smarter because I play PF
Unless there's a gentleman's agreement beforehand or implicit understanding to only include certain tiers, you will get classes of widely differing tiers in the one game.
Now I'm not sure about you, but most people don't want to feel useless in either combat or social encounters.
A lot of the options in the system are the worst and basically useless, hence the number of guides explicitly spelling out to avoid them. They may as well have not included them, that's how bad they are.
>>
>>49993142
I guess that's your prerogative as an autist.
>>
>>49993142
Saying 5e lacks options is correct in that it severely lacks sourcebooks.
But turning around and gushing about PF's extensive set of options is disingenuous as even supposed options in the same tiers are objectively worseless.
>>
When I Conjure Animals up a giant boa constrictor to distract and eventually murder the Hydra chasing us, when in the initiative order does it move?
Right after me, at the end of order, or right before me on the next cycle?
Is Restraining a single target on a hit by the snake broken, or totally fair for a third level spell wwith concentration?
My DM seemed kinda peeved that it shuts down single enemies so hard. Disadvantage is a hell of a mechanic.
>>
File: I jack off on titties.jpg (40KB, 374x480px) Image search: [Google]
I jack off on titties.jpg
40KB, 374x480px
Reposting quick rundown of upcoming 5e stuff:

Volo's Guide to Monsters released November 4th on Roll20 and in WPN stores, and on the 15th to everyone else. ~100 monster stat blocks plus an NPC appendix, probably around 10 playable races (goblins, orcs, tritons, catfolk, aasimar, firbolgs, goliaths, possibly kenku, possibly kobolds, definitely no gnolls), and 7 monster lairs with maps.

The next Unearthed Arcana should be out November 7th, it's slated to be the next Mystic playtest up to 20th level. If it playtests well it's likely the last playtest before the Mystic gets printed outright, probably in late 2017.

The Unearthed Arcana after that should be December 5th, likely to be new downtime systems focused on having a use for money at high levels.

The next book is currently codenamed "Labyrinth" with an April 4th release date. Most people are guessing it's based around Undermountain in Forgotteon Realms, but take any guesses with a grain of salt because of WotC's past codenames (Cloak = Curse of Strahd, Dagger = Storm King's Thunder).
>>
>>49993142
Lack of fun is a demonstrable consequence of the design philosophy of Pathfinder.

Conversely, lack of fun in 5e is a demonstrable consequence of player mentality.
>>
>>49993292
I forget where, but I heard a rumor about the next adventure being about the Ring of Winter mentioned briefly in SKT...
>>
>>49993211
One of mine rolls sandbox worlds. He sets a few things up to point us in a direction if we don't know what to do, but otherwise lets us have an adventure in his world and build on what he and the party enjoys. Fun guy.

>>49993287
I think it rolls its own initiative. If you conjour multiple ones they roll initiative together.
>>
>>49993287
Check the spell.
>Roll initiative for the summoned creatures as a group, which has its own turns.

It goes when its turn comes up, whenever that is.

Also even with disadvantage, the hydra can hit the snake's 12 AC 72% of the time. It'll be dead in two turns, three max, and its damage output won't be that great in the meantime. If the DM is having problems with you cheesing single monsters, they should be throwing more than one monster at you at a time.
>>
>>49993302

Watch pathfinder games with people who have been playing for more than a few months. Everyone looks miserable except maybe a real life accountant or lawyer. I know one group that took so long to finish a combat encounter that had to print out copies of someone's game journal for the group so they could remember what was actually going on in their game so they could continue. I think that one combat took them almost 3 months of weekly games.
>>
>>49993365
>>49993391
Doesn't that mean that I want it to roll an initiative lower than mine, so that it would get a turn before having to run down the list of everyone else?
>>
File: 1448300083194.jpg (31KB, 286x496px) Image search: [Google]
1448300083194.jpg
31KB, 286x496px
>>49993073
>You mean the terrible and deceptive non-options.

Oh you mean half the 5e feats? Oh wait, most of those weren't options in the first place, because feats are so piss-poor that it is objectively better to take an ASI in nearly every instance. Except Wizards of the Coast capped those at 20 so you were forced to take their shitty feats that no one wants.

5e should have gone back to AD&D completely. None of this "short rest" recharge abilities bullshit. It is literally 4th edition with 3rd ed's hit dice and nothing else. The HP bloat is real, with orcs having 15+ hp due to retarded padded-sumo combat.
>>
>>49993415
>>49993391
>>49993365
You are fucking autistic if you have summoned creatures act on their own initiative. You seriously want to roll an extra initiative to basically give a player two turns? Fuck no, that monster acts on the player's turn, or he can get the fuck out. Honestly, summoning is a terrible game mechanic anyways. It's mostly overpowered and it forces the DM to keep track of more shit while the summoner gigglefuck sits in the corner and masturbates to summoning a bunch of shitty creatures that just clog up the battlefield. Summoning isn't cinematic at all, it makes about as much sense as bards, which don't belong in a serious RPG campaign either by the way. When did you ever seen people playing the motherfucking guitar in combat in popular fantasy movies? That's right, never. And don't even bother with that "level 14 bard" ISIS picture, it's fake as fuck.
>>
>>49993415
Best case scenario is you get to make your conjour attack before the enemy does after you summon. Doesn't really matter beyond that.
>>
>>49993447
>15 HP
>Padded Sumo
An Hero.
>>
Making a magic item for monks or druids. Party is level 7-8. +1 to attacks and damage with unarmed strikes and natural weapons. I also want to give it some extra acid damage, how to best make this work? At will seems too much, even if I made it only 1d4. Should I make it a bunch of damage (like 3 or 4 d8) once per day, or a more reasonable amount (1d6 or d8) once per round, for 1 minute per day?
>>
>>49993472
Congrats on "I'm an illiterate faggot the post".

How about you make an effort to read up on a spell before you flap your dick against your own face.
>The summoned creatures are friendly to you and your companions. Roll initiative for the summoned creatures as a group, which has its own turns.
>>
File: bait laius.png (147KB, 747x298px) Image search: [Google]
bait laius.png
147KB, 747x298px
>>49993472
>>49993447
>>
>>49993287
Dont forget that conjure animal only allow you to choose animal CR. You can't specify which animal will come put.
>>
>>49993447
Which ones?

You want to speak about feats? The feats in 5e are objectively more potent and useful than they are in PF.
>>
>>49993447
Feat is optional rule.
>>
>>49993287
To further clarify. >>49993523
The player choose specific CR.
The DM choose beast that came out from that CR range (although player can voicd his preference, the final choice still lie with DM)

If your DM doesn't think Snake vs Hydra make for a good story, he can just choose other beast from CR2 list to appear.
>>
File: livingloot.jpg (378KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
livingloot.jpg
378KB, 1680x1050px
What are you're thoughts on a mechanic for making items become magical when they are used to slay a magical/powerful creature and/or bathed in the blood of such a creature?
>>
>>49994411
Sounds cool, especially if you establish it in the setting for certain monsters (dragons, elementals, and so on). I wouldn't let such things stack though, you'd have to deal with multiple unique weapons instead of one super-weapon.
>>
>>49993292
We get volos then ua and then president trump

Nov is the best month
>>
>>49993484
Just let wildshape use the characters prof bonus. That and already bypassing magic resistance means they wont need any magic claws
>>
>>49994527
I was thinking that it could stack if used to kill something larger, but doing that gets exponentially harder. This way a PC could keep a signature weapon and weapons could still gain benefits from killing monsters that have immunity to non-magical weapons. To keep it balanced I am thinking the effects gained would be taken from some of the magic items in the creatures hoard.

I think it would also add interesting RP opportunities because if you see a bad ass glowing weapon you know the guy who is wielding it has seen some shit, or he killed someone who has.

I also think that making a weapon/item magical would be seen as the initiation of becoming an adventurer. Like before that you are just some ratcatcher who is looked at as an annoyance but once you have a magic item you are taken seriously as a monster slayer.
>>
So tomorrow I'm joining into a Lv3 session for the first time playing 5e. The party so far is two Fighters, two Paladins, a Rogue, and a Ranger. I'm thinking about playing a Monk and while the Sun Soul thing seems super fun because "muh DBZ", Way of the Long Death also seems ridiculously entertaining from a "you can't kill me" standpoint. So what I ask you /5eg/, is which one is going to be better? Both sound fun, but I'd much rather pick the one that has the most end game potential lest I get outclassed and become useless because I wanted to throw ki blasts all day.
>>
>>49993497
His point is that that just adds bookkeeping so its easier to just have them act on the pcs turn
>>
>>49993666
Hoodoo boy. We all totally misunderstood the spell, and thought it meant the player gets to bring a friend along for a battle.
Does that mean that the DM is entirely responsible for choosing the creature that pops out? That's kinda bad, isn't it?
>>
>>49994603
The one who'd use it is a Moon Druid, with their Primal Strike they already bypass physical resistances. You mean give their own prof as a bonus to wildshape attacks? I think that'd be a bit much and wouldn't really make sense for the item. I want some acid based thing.
>>
>>49994744
Kinda, the DM kinda needs to be familiar with the spells anyway, and in general you can just say, "Pick something reasonable," and the player will. Occasionally you will get a player who wants to summon 8 pixies with natures ally though.
>>
>>49994825
Well, that's not so bad then. I've got a giant elk named Benefeld that we rode majestically into town on, so I'm hoping he can make an appearance a few more times.

On a scale of Mr. Rogers to neckbeards, how scummy is it for me to summon a bunch of wolves and then wildshape into one? I haven't done it yet because we weren't sure how the initiative shit worked, but it's been on my bucket list.
>>
>>49994744
I have a way for dealing with that as a DM that I find satisfying. Essentially, after the player picks a CR, I decide which is the closest natural environment (usually the one they are currently in), then I use kobold.club setting the Type to Beast, the appropriate Environment and the chosen CR. That usually narrows it down to just a few creatures, then I have the player roll to see what he gets.
>>
>>49994890
As somone who plays a Druid and a DM to group with a Druid.

Summoning 8 low CR creatures is powerful as fuck, and clogs the game up like a motherfucker. Please for the sake of all of us at the table, summon only a couple CR1's or a CR2.

I'd be much happier seeing you summon two Dire Wolves than have to arrange all the bullshit of 8 Wolves.

Technically the GM picks the summon, but I don't see why they would purposely fuck you over by messing with your spell "Oh, you wanted 4 CR half creatures to help bulk out a combat and front-line for you, you wanted bears? Okay you can have.. Fouuur giant wasps."
>>
Is the big lightning throne something you can actually GET as a player in Storm King's Thunder, or is it just there as a detail for the DM?
>>
File: 1287333747659.png (3KB, 184x172px) Image search: [Google]
1287333747659.png
3KB, 184x172px
>>49993292
>Volo's is the closest we'll get to a sourcebook for at least a year

I don't want this to be 3.pf but goddamn it's been over two years since official release and still nothing.
>>
>>49995138
It's honestly ridiculous.
Hope Volo's lives up to the hype. Wouldn't want the majority of the book to be garbage.
>>
>>49994616
Monk as a whole doesn't really has end game potential. I guess Long Death might be better since Monk should use Ki on Stunning Fist.
>>
>>49994945
It's really on the situation. But the mechanic is there to let the DM stop that guy player from summoning Pixies and polymorph everything.
>>
>>49995172

Volo will be 1/3 monsters, 1/3 playable races and 1/3 NPCs.
>>
>>49995175
I guess I wouldn't really know since I've never gotten through more than a couple sessions before the groups stop playing. The Sun Soul seems like it'd be able to deal a decent amount of damage since I can throw so many Radiant Bolts per turn, I think four with extra attack, and I can charge them up. I just realize that eventually I'll be out of ki and I'll have to go in for melee. My biggest concern is the final Sun Soul ability is kinda trash. It just forces damage onto people hitting me in melee and it isn't even that much. It seems like the whole sub-class falls slightly short of being really good. Especially when compared to the ability to build a ton of bonus health, a huge touch nuke, and the ability to literally ignore dying with ki.
>>
>>49995358
Don't worry about high level ability
Either you won't reach them or by the time you reach it, you will want to try other class.
>>
>>49995354
How many pages is it?
>>
>>49995358

Sounds like you really want to play Long Death then, so go for it. Shadow monks are a lot of fun too - they get RIDICULOUS mobility options on one of the most consistently mobile classes in the game.
>>
File: alternateelementalplanes.png (894KB, 1223x1599px) Image search: [Google]
alternateelementalplanes.png
894KB, 1223x1599px
What do you think about this planar layout? Would you use it for a game? Found it in Dragon Magazine issue 27
>>
>>49995405
This is an excellent point.

>>49995455
I really wanted to do the SS in the beginning because of all the DBZisms, but it just doesn't seem like it's quite good enough. I was hoping someone in the thread would be able to convince me otherwise but I'm totally cool doing LD instead. It seems like it'll be fun enough.
>>
>>49995547
If you want to go real DBZ, take some levels in Barbarian. Rage for the first time only after someone important kills an ally. Eagle and Bear are best, for a monk, Totems, as Wolf and the Berserker/Battlerager paths don't work with Monk. Long Death would be, if an anime, be a lot darker and gorier. Not sure what anime it would be as I don't watch any, but maybe something like Death Note or Hellsing? Those are darker /bloodier, ones right?
>>
>>49995503
>making it look like a weird 'cut out and tape together to make 3D shape' thing
>not using miller indices to describe a crystal structure
Put on your big-boy pants
>>
Lets say I'm hypothetically reworking the sorcerer to use the spell point system from the DMG, with your points at any given level equal to what you get according to the DMG plus your sorcery points - one pool for all your abilities.

Then lets say I'm giving them a recovery feature at level 2, based on the wizard's arcane recovery.

Their capstone is now very meh. What should it be replaced with?
>>
>>49995684
Their capstone was already meh.
>>
>>49995699
Ok, it was meh before, now it's nigh on useless when you can recover your sorcerer level in spell points once per day.
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
31KB, 223x310px
Does anyone happen to have some nice reference sheets or cards for familiars I could print? I'm new to D&D and I only just gained the spell so I don't know everything by heart yet.
>>
>>49995668
God now you've got my brain spinning around edgy circles. Play a Long Death Monk, Haunted One background, hopefully roll for the fiend inside me thing, take a couple Barbarian levels, use Rage when the thing goes berserk and gain the HP from being drenched in the blood and gore of my enemies after I've beaten them to pieces. This is way to edgy for me to play though I'd be so embarrassed I brought it to a table. lmao

The Rage Barbarian Sun Soul thing doesn't sound like an awful idea, except I wouldn't be able to cast anything while using it and I wouldn't be using a weapon. I also think all my attack checks are DEX not STR as a Monk so I don't know if it'd do any good outside of flavor.
>>
>>49995718
I found this alternative and it looks really cool:

"Limitless Font of Magic
At 20th level, whenever you begin your turn with 0 sorcery points, you immediately gain 3 sorcery points.

This way, the sorcerer will always have enough spell points to cast a 1st or 2nd level spell (and will always need to use their bonus action to do so). And they'll always have a little bit for some metamagic."

That sounds like a worthy capstone, doesn't it? Just rework it to fit the spell point system.
>>
>>49995843
That's actually not bad. The spell point system ignores the bonus action to cast thing, but that's probably not a huge issue, particularly at level 20.
>>
>>49994616
Start as a Hunter ranger and then go Long death monk.

Enjoy getting the most attacks in melee without even needing to move or spend lots of ki.
The better Hp helps.
Dueling nets you +2 on shorstwords.
FE Humanoids nets you an additional+1 against humanoids.

It seems as if the new UA ranger was practically designed to multiclass with monk.
>>
>>49995843
>>49995852
For your edification.
I posted this a few days ago, but it's been cleaned up a lot since then. Plus it's prettier now.
>>
>>49995436
>Volo

224 pages
>>
>>49995873
UA wasn't design with multiclass in mind
Cease your munchkin bias at once b..baka!
>>
So are two handed weapons just better? Making a half orc totem barbarian and I'm trying to decide wether to sword n board or get a greataxe. Is a 18 AC worth the drop in damage output? Our group is pretty melee focused.
>>
>>49996207
Barbarians care less about having a high AC due to high HP and having resistance to a shitload of damage types while raging, particularly totem barbs. At least in theory.
>>
>>49995843
>monks get 'you gain 4 ki points if you have 0 points and you roll initiative'
>ki points recharge on short rest

>giving sorcerers something that recharges EVERY TURN instead.

Sounds like a bad idea. Sure, archdruid is kind of stupid but then druid is kind of stupid and wild shape isn't as flexible as at-will casting of any level 1 or level 2 spell as you see fit. Or, heck, at-will casting of any spell of any level if using the points system and the 'convert sorcerery points to spellslots' feature remains. If it doesn't remain.. That's kind of lame, but it's already messing with other things such as how multiclass works, or how warlock compares, or possibly how often level 6+ spells can be cast.

What sorcerers need isn't a point-based casting system, but some other unique system that defines sorcerer strengths and weaknesses. Right now it's just 'sorcerery points and metamagic' so that sorcerers cast two spells at once or something. That's good, but it feels a bit lackluster when really the biggest deal there is twinned spell.
Wild magic could use a buff or correction, too.
>>
>>49995873
Wouldn't they be using quarterstaff with duelling?

Ranger-Monk is certainly something that needs investigating.
>>
>>49996315
>if using the points system and the 'convert sorcerery points to spellslots' feature remains.
Sorcery points are added into the spell points you gain at any given level, so everything runs off the same pool. Converting points to a spell slot is now part of the action to cast a spell.

Multiclassing now works like pact magic (you don't count as a spellcaster for the purpose of multiclassing, but you can use sorcery points to cast spells gained from other classes, and vice versa).

The spell point system takes care of 6+ level spells; you can create one spell slot of each level above 5 once per day. So one 6, one 7, one 8, and one 9, regardless of how many sorcery points you have. So you get a shitload of lower level spells, and a lot of freedom in how you use them, but you end up with less 6 and 7th level spells than other casters.

Still, I'll rework the capstone.
>>
How would you represent a giant constrictor snake in tiles? A 3x3 square is the most obvious answer but it's a fucking snake, come on.

What can I do? This goes for any other huge sized monsters as well.
>>
>>49996207
GWM+maul until you get two or three brutal critical dice is better. Greataxe is +3 damage on crit, -0.5 damage on any hit, effectively (+2.5 on crit total). Half-orc increases that to +6 (+5.5 on crit total) and brutal critical increases that to (+8.5, +11.5, +14.5). You're very likely to overkill, so even at two brutal critical dice with half-orc you'll probably not needit.
However, if you factor in reckless attack, it's a viable option by the time you get the first brutal critical (it does just slightly more than the maul on average, but overkill and inconsistency still makes it worse). Also, three levels in champion helps that.

Two-weapon-fighting is great for your first three levels before you get GWM or you hit level 5.

Sword and board should mostly be reserved for really, super-devout barbarian tanks where the enemies won't attack anyone but them, or should be used on barbarogues.

GWM is brilliant for barbarian and you should seriously get it if you're a pure barbarian/fighterbarbarian you mongrel.
>>
>>49996386
Remember that a creature's space is the area it controls with its attacks and movements, not it's actual size. Most humans won't fill a 5' cube.

That said, I'd been toying with the idea of variant shapes for creatures like oozes. A large ooze won't necessarily be a 2x2 square. It'll just be 4 grid spaces that are adjacent to each other, which leads to tetris-oozes.
>>
>>49996411

>Remember that a creature's space is the area it controls with its attacks and movements, not it's actual size.

I was overthinking this but that makes perfect sense, thank you.

I think you have the right idea for oozes, it would work for them considering any given part of their body could attack and it makes it easier and more logical for you to divide them.
>>
>>49996361
Well, the capstone isn't bad if it all runs off the same pool, but it does then encourage people to waste their resources a bit too much.

I think the problem is that some people already find sorcerer a bit boring, and if you simplify it so much to 'you just have a mana pool and you drain from that and you can do whatever the fuck you want until it runs out' then it'll probably be too simple. Sure, you can think about saving spell points for later, but...

And some people may end up playing sorcerer as 'I do literally nothing but cast quickened eldritch blast 24/7'.

The versatility of being to do something no other caster can and cast the same spell over and over and over and over and over and over without being penalized for having to upcast or having to short rest is a nice idea, but it's basically warlock without invocations and a different spell list, except you can now save all your spells for later and twin them and. heck, you're better at eldritch blasting than they are. Not to mention you can spam low level spells whereas they can't such as 'shield' which they don't even get, you can save the points usually used for high-level spells for other things... I think there was a point to make that I forgot, but that's the gist of it.

It just feels like it's beating warlock at all the things warlock is supposed to be good at, aside from invocations, stuff like 'at-will false life'.
>>
>>49996435
>>49996411
You could also say a slime or ooze doesn't have proper limbs or weapons to extend their reach, whereas a human in a 5-by-5-by-5 cube does, so they'd both fill the same space.
>>
Should I get Green Flame Blade or Booming Blade for an Eldritch Knight? Getting both seems unnecessary since they are pretty similar without the ability to abuse BB. What other cantrip should I get to replace one of them?
>>
>>49996386
3x3. It's the area that it can fight effectively. Otherwise, your snake can't turn and have blindspot in the back.
>>
>>49996546
Depend on your level. If you are level 11+, the answee if neither because your three attack from attack action will outweight 1 cantrip + 1 attack.
>>
>>49996315
>whenever you begin your turn with 0 sorcery points, you immediately gain 3 sorcery points.
Meaning after you spend all your SP, you will always have a maximum of 3 until you take a long rest. So yeah, that means just levels 1 or 2 spells. Consider the following: out of the 15 spells they'll know by level 20, only 5 or 6 should be of such low level. Meanwhile, wizards will know AT LEAST 44 spells (yes, basically three times as many as sorcerers can ever learn); they'll have Spell Mastery, 2 low level spells to be cast at will (that can be changed); and 2 Signature Spells that are always prepared and can be cast for free once per short rest. So no, always having 3 SP doesn't seem that much.

Now, I realize there's a bit of a loophole in there, where a sorcerer could potentially eventually make a 5th level slot within half a minute, so there's a need to add some wording to prevent that.
>>
>>49993292
>(goblins, orcs, tritons, catfolk, aasimar, firbolgs, goliaths, possibly kenku, possibly kobolds, definitely no gnolls)
Are you implying that tritons, catfolk and aasimar are confirmed?

>>49995354
I think it's going to be more like 1/3 monster lore, 1/3 monsters (statblocks), 1/3 playable races
>>
>>49996615
I got to 3 at the end of my last game.
>>
>>49996657

I could have sworn I saw an article saying it had a large section of prebuilt NPCs for DMs
>>
>>49996691
Then what is your INT? GFB is better if you have high int.
>>
>>49996739
Maybe as an appendix or something? Otherwise it must've been a last minute addition, because the wizards site doesn't mention it at all.
>>
>>49996657
What makes you say that?
>>
>>49996834
Not that guy but the previews definitely indicate there's a lot of lore and it is a "Volo's Guide" after all
>>
>>49996657
Yes, they're confirmed.
>>
>>49996806
My Int is only 11. I was thinking of taking a utility cantrip like Mage Hand or Prestidigitation instead of one of the SCAG cantrips.
>>
>>49996834
It's literally from the product page on http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/volos-guide-to-monsters

>>49996848
When? Where? I can understand Aasimar since they were basically in the DMG already, but tritons and catfolk seem to come out of nowhere.
>>
>>49996903
Catfolk they mentioned on Twitter when someone asked about them - although we don't yet know if they'll be Tabaxi or... something else.
>>
>>49996928
It was also closer to
>can i have catfolk stats
>youll have some soon
Could just as easily be generic beast people or rakshasa tieflings.
>>
>>49996949
I wouldn't be shocked if it is more regular catfolk though, there is precedent for it going off of earlier editions and FR stuff.
>>
>>49996955
Probably, its just silly to say its confirmed.
>>
>>49993232
>most people don't want to feel useless in combat or social encounters

Which always boggles my mind why they pick martials in five eeee.
>>
>>49997152
Backgrounds allow for any given character to have at least some form of non-combat utility of their choice, and several classes have at least some little bonus. It isn't spells, but martials are combat kings in 5e too, so being ok at social generally feels... ok.
>>
>>49997152
>martials can't talk or roleplay
I wish people would let go of that mentality. My group has a fighter with 14 Charisma and yet the one who does most of the talking is the 8 Cha cleric...
>>
>>49997186
lol what
My group switches out based on skill proficiency or characters with relevant experience
>>
>>49996546
Get booming blade, though I highly recommend you also get green flame blade if you're a GFB/BB focused dex EK like you should be.

Don't get GFB until later if your int is low.
>>
>>49997186
Reminder charisma is stupid.
>>
File: leaders_in_4e.jpg (139KB, 600x785px) Image search: [Google]
leaders_in_4e.jpg
139KB, 600x785px
>>49997186
It's funny because it's true. The most eloquent and motivated player is hardly ever the one with the most charismatic character. Our party has a sorcerer and warlock with 18 Charisma each, and one of them never roleplays unless basically forced to, while the other one has such bad ideas that the players keep him from talking to NPCs too much. The de facto party leader is the fighter with 8 Charisma, just because he voluntarily talks to NPCs and the things he says are sane.
>>
>>49997210
reminder freeform and diceless RPGs exist and you can leave anytime
>>
>>49997186
>role playing excuses poor mechanical design.

I wish people would stop behaving as if this is a relevant counterpoint. Role-playing existed In 3.5e too, yet you'd call anyone who argued martials were good out of combat in that edition retarded.
>>
>>49996615
Levels 3&4 cantrip is definitely better. Direct upgrade.
Levels 5 & 6 multiattack is definitely better unless you're certain you can trigger the secondary effect/need the damage type.
Levels 7-10 cantrip is always better if you get the extra attack. Direct upgrade.
Levels 11-16 is not a 'three attack is definitely better'.
It's 3d8+15 versus 4d8+10 if you have 20 in your attack skill, which you hopefully should.
If you don't need that bonus action for something, GFB/BB is probably better, but a bit less reliable.
If you have a very powerful magical weapon, three attack might be better.
If you're using a 2d6 weapon, three attack is better. However, EK is probably more suited to rapier+shield play and acting as a tank than being a smashey-smashey guy since GFB/BB exists and they can then safely go 15 strength + 20 dex for heavy armour yet all dexterity benefits.
That said, it's still better than going champion with a maul, probably.
17-19 obviously BB/GFB wins, hands down.
Level 20, extra attack 'normally' wins.
>>
>>49997216
The problem isn't using dice
The problem is that despite having 8 charisma quite often people get away without using dice because it'd feel cruel to say to the guy's impressive speech 'lol you have 6 charisma, your pants fall down.'
>>
How would you build Half-Elf STR Valor bard with standard array?

Is it worth picking up Heavy Armor via feat?
>>
>>49997265
Best EK use crossbow. Bonus action will be taken by Crossbow Expert.
>>
>>49997347
You're given the best tanking ability and you don't take the front line?
>>
>>49997214
Just like a lot of times, the player of the 8 Int fighter or barbarian is smarter than the one playing the 18 Int wizard...
>>
>>49997329
Str 15 (+1) Dex 13 (+1) Con 12 Int 8 Wis 10 Cha 14 (+2)
There, 16 Str and Cha, and just enough Dex to have both a decent save and decent AC with medium armor. I'd consider using a shield, but since you're going strength you're probably going to want a two-handed weapon. Int and Wis are interchangeable.
>>
>>49997375
Crossbow Expert son. You can shoot people in the face.
>>
>>49997382
If thats the case and such a character decides to use "big boy" words, I let them take a soet of eloquence check to see if they are able to pronounce them or look like a total asshole.
Usually works if you dont overdo it.
>>
>>49997382
If I'm running a game for a really stupid player whose character has high Int or Wis, sometimes I'll have to tell them "Your common sense is tingling."
>>
>>49997428
Thanks! I am gonna go maul for Hunting Horn
>>
>>49997272
>your pants fall down
retard shitter DM detected
>>
>>49992582
>>49992827
Agreeing with this anon, make sure your spell casters have components for spells. Some +1 weapons for martials, and bags of holding, as they can be incredibly hseful.
>>
>>49996903
So I've been doing some googling, and apparently Tritons were mentioned during the "Meltdown comics presentation". I don't know what that was, but it seems to be legit.

So with Orcs, Goblins, Firbolg, Tritons, Goliath, Aasimar and [unspecified catfolk] confirmed, we know 7 of the races that are going to be in there.

How many could there be in total? If it's actually around a third of the book (~70 pages) there could easily be around 20 races in there, but it'll probably be fewer.

I'd say Minotaurs and Githzerai are plausible. Minotaurs have been released before and are a true staple of fantasy, while Githzerai just seems to make sense, being an intelligent humanoid. Kenku have come up in a lot of speculation, and they have some precedence, being in the MM already. I'm also thinking, Yuan-ti are implied to be featured heavily in the Lore section of the book, and the newest miniatures set features six yuan-ti. Maybe Yuan-Ti (pureblood) will be playable? Pixie or Sprite are just a personal wish for me, because they'd be something truly different. Also, the inclusion of Tritons shows they have no problem publishing something that comes seemingly out of nowhere (were they ever even mentioned in any 5e material?)

I'm probably thinking way too much about this. I'm just so damn hype!! for this book.
>>
File: image.png (139KB, 819x382px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
139KB, 819x382px
>>49997459
Go for the combo
>>
>>49997531
I don't think most players could pull off playing a kenku. Apparently they can't speak original sentences, only imitating ones they've already heard.
>>
>>49997443
Why take a feat for that and sacrifice your ability to use shields?

Ideally I'd say go dex, get rapier+shield. If fighting at range (Since you don't always have to run up and punch things in the face, some people fail to understand this) use hand crossbow + shield. Take BB + firebolt (or freezing ray) and use BB for close combat (more damage) but you keep the versatility of being able to use freezing ray + hand crossbow attack at range.

If you want to use a crossbow, I'd suggest agonizing blast + crossbow EK instead.
>>
>>49997539
I'dve thought that kenku's steal because they want to pay people to speak certain words and phrases
>>
>>49994616
Be careful how you fluff long death monk, my generally good party didn't like my chaotic evil monk sucking the life out of them.
>>
>>49997539
I've actually played that before, it made for some funny moments every now and then with players teaching me silly phrases and blurting them out, but just left me in the background a lot. Helps to a degree if a party member can speak telepathically with you.
>>
>>49997539
I've thought about that too. I probably wouldn't even want to play that, except maybe for a oneshot or something.

Maybe they'll tweak it? Kenku were playable in 4e, but I don't know if they had the same speech impediment in that edition.
>>
File: 1476137413752.jpg (27KB, 566x393px) Image search: [Google]
1476137413752.jpg
27KB, 566x393px
>People looking forwards to Volo's
I'm feeling some 3.0 deja vu.
>>
>>49997601
You don't have good memories of Volo's guides back in AD&D?

Some of that shit was pure gold, the guide to All Things Magical is one I still regularly consult to this day, along with the Baldur's Gate one for my current campaign.
>>
File: wow.png (187KB, 361x691px) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
187KB, 361x691px
>>49997601
>>
>>49997545
>>49997443
Actually, just remembered this is somewhat not so grand.

Eldritch blast uses CHA, crossbow uses DEX.

If you're going Eldritch Blast + EK, you probably want the '+1 to ranged attack to-hit and no penalties for firing within 5ft' fighting style and 3 levels in warlock for 'shillelagh' from pact of the tome.

That way, you become an EK who only needs the Charisma stat using quarterstaff/club + shield.
However, a hand crossbow would still be useful for those times when you're fighting at range.
>>
File: ree.jpg (65KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
ree.jpg
65KB, 900x900px
>Birth names are rarely linked to gender.
>Goliaths see females and males as equal in all things, and they find societies with roles divided by gender to be puzzling or worthy of mockery.
>To a goliath, the person who is best at a job should be the one tasked with doing it.
>>
Warlock needs more invocation options yes? Has wotc stated if these were going to be added anytime soon?
>>
>>49997748
Dumb frogposter
>>
What is the current DPR king or a candidate?
>>
>>49997748
In a species with no differences between the seven beyond appearance, that makes sense.

Would you get triggered if an insect race had dominant females that collected harems of male drones?
>>
>>49997784
Burst or sustained?
>>
>>49997545
You can't use hand crossbow with shield. You need a free hand to reload.

And the main thing you take Crossbow Expert for is bonus action attack, the ability to shoot at close range just came with that. So you should just capitalize on it.

Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter is just too good. It's better than anything cantrip or one-handed weapon can do.
>>
File: 1471472356007.png (45KB, 1840x373px) Image search: [Google]
1471472356007.png
45KB, 1840x373px
>>49997769
>>49997794
>>>/pfg/
>>
>>49997784
Crossbow Fighter
>>
>>49997867
Dumb frogposter.
>>
>>49997764
Rather, the invocation options need balancing a little in places.

>>49997856
You don't need a bonus action attack. EK gets a bonus action attack at level 7.

Of course it's going to do more damage than someone focusing on being tanky. That's a given. But EKs are better suited towards being tough fuckers.
I hadn't thought about it before, but crossbow expert + sharpshooter does seem a very good alternative to GWM. You're a dex fighter, which is simply just better than going strength. You can use the 'archery' fighting style to make the +10s hit more, and you have the versatility to fight at range. The only issue is you have to spend an extra feat, and GWM gets bonus attacks sometimes (kill/crit).

Also, honestly, a hand crossbow should be reloadable with the other hand occupying a shield or something. If you don't, it kind of means 'hand crossbows are useless without a feat'. Eh, there's always thrown weapons, not that they go far.

I still like warlock3/EK7 for eldritch blast + shillelagh BB though, all the while getting more spell slots to tank with and using a shield.
>>
>>49997794
Why would they be puzzled at a society that has physically weaker females, yet seems to have a bias towards males being in control, then?

Even with an int of 8, they should understand.
>>
How fast can characters travel on horseback?
>>
>>49997784
Honestly, probably blade and fiend warlocks.

If you get a magical hand crossbow, have the sharpshooter and crossbow expert feats, you can fire three shots, which deal 6d6+60 damage total, assuming 20 dexterity and charisma, and an active hex. That's an average of 81 single target damage. 54 average damage if you have to cast or move hex that turn.

Fiend lock is just to get some nice aoe spells, which dramatically increases your damage against groups.
>>
>>49992520
>played or DMed?
DMing is playing...
>>
>>49997867
But Goliaths are merit based. The best person for the job is the fundamental principle of meritocracy.
>>
>>49995503
>Looking how it goes together.
At first I thought it was half clever.

Then... Moist... leads to dark... Er. Ok
Moist also leads to whatever that one on the right is. It's to "Dark" to see.
>>
>>49997978
Because in dnd land, there are no sexual differences related to stats.

-4 str hasn't been a thing in forever. So the Goliaths are puzzled over why societies would develop extreme gender roles when there is no biological basis. In a world where women are just as strong as men, why wouldn't there be more female lumberjack?
>>
>>49998060
Back from AD&D, the system worked as
'you cannot be a female of certain races if your strength is too high'
Basically, rathert han reducing strength, it just lowered it.

Just because female heroes aren't penalized, doesn't mean females are generally as strong as males. That's up to the DM, really.
Heroes are not typical of their race. Just because players decided to make elves with lots of strength, doesn't mean that elves are generally strong. It just means that it so happened that only strong elves became heroes.

Though, elves do tend towards not having strength as they already have +2 dexterity.

There are no gender-based bonuses or penalties because while a woman might be strnoger, 5e intends to give the player agency in designing their characters and not restricting them by saying 'ALL females are not strong, and they can never be super strong, no exceptions.'
>>
>>49998006
If they're on plain riding horses who don't get an extraordinary amount of exercise and not pushing them to their limits, maybe 30 miles a day, not much farther than the 20 miles a company can expect to travel on foot in a normal day's march. If they're on horses well-trained for endurance, or better yet if each rider has multiple horses to alternate between, it can be more like 60 miles a day.
>>
>>49997784
An Eldritch Knight 20 Fighter can make 5 Maul attacks with haste on. GWM them all, that's 5d12+75 if they are using a plain ol maul. And that's every turn for a full minute.

An oathbreaker level 20 paladin can attack twice, with bonus action before the attacks Banishing Smite, along with GWM, max smite damage from level 4 smites against a fiend or undead, and an extra d8 cause of improved divine smite, that's 2d12+5d10+6d8+6d8+2d8+30+10(Aura of Hate) that's one turn.

A level 20 Crossbow Ranger with Volley and Sharpshooter and Crossbow Master can make a weapon attack against every enemy within a 10 ft radius of a point. That's enough room for 25 enemies. Let's say there are 6, and one is standing next to another one with horde breaker? 7d12+105 every turn with no limit save for ammunition.

Those seem pretty good so far, and this isn't even including +3 weapons. And here is probably much more you can do if you have your wizard next to you with tons of free buffs.
>>
>>49998147
>>49998060
I fucked up
>Rather than reducing stength, it just lowered it
That's supposed to mean
'It just lowered what the best that race could achieve was, not arbitrarily decide that you have lower strength than whatever you'd decided'
>>
>>49998007
Lol, what? That doesn't even work. Thirsting Blade only works with your pact weapon, which must be a melee weapon. If you want to spam magic-assisted hand crossbow attacks, be a ranger and use Hunter's Mark instead of Hex. If you want to be a warlock who maximizes damage, just do the sane thing and spam Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>49998176
You could literally write a 600_ page book dedicated to "Stupid shit Fantasy authors write about horses".
>>
>>49998272
Medievalists are like philosophers - the only thing you can count on them to do is disagree with each other.
>>
>>49997748
Their species probably just has less sexual dimorphism.
>>
File: 1464728048675.jpg (80KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
1464728048675.jpg
80KB, 766x960px
I'm about to DM a campaign with three friends and after putting a lot of effort into the world I've realised there's nothing very fantastical about the landscape the campaign will begin in. A brief summary of the setting is they're in a peninsula that lies between the human Empire on it's western border and the lands of Orc warbands to it's east. It's natives are nomadic humans who have been dealing with Imperial rule and an influx of Imperial settlers as well as regular orc raids.

Essentially I have a land that isn't very developed. The Imperial settlements haven't been around long enough to have fantastic architecture and the natives are nomadic meaning they have no amazing cities or towns or whatever.

Is there anyway I can make the landscape more interesting with these constrictions? Also general criticism please.
>>
>>49998257
Reread blade pact. You can bond magic items to the pact, and these have no range limitations.
>>
>>49998341
Even if that's true, you'll be dealing less damage than Eldritch Blast, at less range, with more MAD and no ability to add stuff like knockback. You want a fighter or ranger for this.
>>
>>49998331
Have the natives be on different sides of the fence, some people wanting the settlers and some who do not. Maybe somewhere along the campaign the party gets to pick on this decision and work towards their decision.

But that's some political intrigue there, maybe have the names of Orc tribes be noticeable and able to be aligned with, as they probably don't like the other tribes, and a band of orcs to fight with would be quite he sight.
>>
>>49998390
Eldritch blast caps out at 4d10+4d6+20 (assuming hex and 20 cha) . This averages 56 damage, exactly 25 less average damage than the Blade pact build I just posted.
>>
>>49998331
Make a single city that existed before imperial settlers. Essentially a huge trading hub for the nomads, which the PCs can occasionaly go to for rest and quests.
Bonus points if it's in a quite remarkable geographic landmark
>>
>>49997867
Arneson was always better.
>>
File: 1346248567106.jpg (7KB, 250x181px) Image search: [Google]
1346248567106.jpg
7KB, 250x181px
So my players have decided to start up an Adventurer's Guild.

They've purchased properties within a city, and are using one of them as a guild headquarters whilst renting out the rest. They seem to be adamant about having a Half-Orc female secretary called Denise. I gave them a half-orc woman called Hilda, and they're calling her Denise anyway, fluffing it as a code name.

I like the fact that I can use the guild as an easy way to throw quests and stuff at the party. I'm just not sure how to handle the rest of it.

How would I handle NPC adventurers who decide to join the guild, having 'off-screen' adventures of their own? How would the players reap the benefits of having so many other adventurers out working for them?
>>
>>49998456
>having 'off-screen' adventures of their own?
Roll some dice and make shit up
>>
>>49998456
Capitalism, ho!
>>
>>49998449
Arneson is the reason why psionics and monks exist, fuck him.
>>
>>49998408
You'd do more with a ranger, because all the warlock contributes is Hex and a janky ratchet version of Extra Attack that only works if you can find a magic hand crossbow (good luck with that.) Ranger provides Hunter's Mark dealing the same damage as Hex, plus Colossus Slayer or whatever other feature you want that makes you better at shooting.
>>
I wrote up a long explaination of how an undyinglightwarlock1/sorcerer7/paladin12 could do about 209 with GWM, a maul, haste (because sorcerer has level 3 spells) and smiting every turn.
Not including damage bonus against fiends/undead, the secondary effect of green flame blade's damage (because that affects something other than your intended target and AoEs always win against groups ofenemies) and ..Something else, maybe.

You could only do that 3 times every long rest, though, so not very 'DPR'ey.

Heavy crossbow with sharpshooter and GWM on a barbarian5/rogue15 probably does the most sustainable damage possible.

The most damage in one turn against one target, the above 209 could be increased dramatically if a sorcerer level and paladinlevel was put into fighter for action surge (+1 use of GFB), it was against an undead/fiend (+4d8), someone else cast 'enlarge person' on you (+4d4), someone else cast 'haste' for you so you could cast hex (+4d6), if the enemy had vulnerabilities,if you had a magic weapon, etc.

Note that the heavy crossbow barbarrogue's damage is actually very low in practice due to its very low to-hit chance, but in a world where all enemies have 0AC it will probably come out on top.
>>
>>49992641
Make sure you have gone over the phb thoroughly yourself as it usually ends up far more relevant than any other book. I find a dry erase board is handy, just a small one. Goid for tracking initiative and if you're forgetful like me you can make notes on what buffs/debuffs are affecting who, who is trying to maintain a concentration spell, and party HP totals (so you can really controll drama and fun with dice fudging) during a combat. Dm screen is ideal as it has plenty of useful reference charts and what not, but it also gives you privacy while you run the game. You can roll and make notes without the players using out of game knowledge to make in game decisions (oh dm just wrote a reminder to himself about an upcoming plot point/monster, i should buy silver weapons, etc). Scrap paper or index cards are also good for passing notes. I'd leave a cup of mechanical pencils in the middle of the table because inevitably someone will forget or lose theirs. coasters for beverages.
>>
File: 1475703335688.gif (154KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1475703335688.gif
154KB, 500x500px
>>49998505
hey, don't bash muh psionics
psionics is fuckin' cool
>>
File: Vayne_0.jpg (328KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
Vayne_0.jpg
328KB, 1215x717px
How'd I create Vayne in 5e?
She's basically a crossbow wielding stealthy shadow hunter, going after monsters and abominations in the night.
more info: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Vayne
any help is appreciated
>>
>>49998592
Full-class Ranger(UA) or multiclass Rogue / Ranger that wields a hand-crossbow and a heavy crossbow.

Don't have to be 100% accurate- make sure you have a shortsword or smth as a backup weapon
>>
File: 1410816986688.gif (583KB, 520x446px) Image search: [Google]
1410816986688.gif
583KB, 520x446px
>>49998505
>psionics
>bad
>>
>>49998569
Can you show us the damage for that 209? There is some doubt for that damage 3 times.
>>
>>49998517
Rangers only add dexterity to the damage.

Assuming they go for hand crossbows too, they deal 6d6+1d8+50. This is assuming colossus slayer, hunters mark, 20 dexterity and 20 wisdom, at level 20, and the same feats as warlock.

This is only 75.5 average damage, still less than the 81 average build I posted.

Oh and magic item damage hasn't been factored into either, but assuming +3, add 9 damage to each.
>>
>>49998592
Fighter (BM / MH / Scout)
Rogue (Assassin)
Revised Ranger (Hunter)
or any other class that's competent with a crossbow
>>
File: image.jpg (302KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
302KB, 1000x667px
>>49992641
>>49998577
And if your interested, you could get one of those big vinyl gridded battle maps and dry erase markers for mapping out big battles. Minatures or a set of tokens with creature portaits on them. Or go all out and spend $$$ or dwarven forge terrain and blow everyone's minds.
>>
>>49998607
sasuga anime poster
>>
>>49997784
For Burst its Crossbow master battle master.

For sustained its a Monk 4 (long death or shadow as they don't have ki consuming features that low)/(New UA) Ranger 4(Hunter)/Fighter 12 (Battlemaster) with the dueling and mariner fighting styles along with the blade master feat(UA feat)

That's 4 attacks with 3 of those having a +4 and one unarmed strike with a +1.
Then there are Hunter features for hitting back as a reaction, mariner granting extra AC and mobility etc.

If you get a +3 shortsword on it then it gets even more ridiculous.

It ends up as 4d6+42 damage per round or 64 average per round.
>>
>>49998592
Muh references Lolamirite.
>>
File: 250px-JarJarHS-SWE.jpg (13KB, 250x328px) Image search: [Google]
250px-JarJarHS-SWE.jpg
13KB, 250x328px
>>49998630
>>
>>49997784
>>49998569
Alternatively, Sorlock.

Eldritch blast + quickened eldritch blast. Plenty of sorcery points to use as you can spend your free time converting spell slots.

112 damage on all-hit with hex,72 without.
Yes, it's way below the GWM fuckery, but it's more likely to hit, does a better damage type, you can do it at range, there's that 10ft pushback, probably more out of combat abilities, et cetera.

If you're looking for casual 'sits there attacking all day' sorlock is probably the best considering they can attack almost anything and generally give no shits and generally have zero fun.

>>49998612
If I recall right, it's about 6d6+45 (maul damage, GWM) + 24d8 (3 divine smites for 15d8, improved divine smite gives a d-eight three times for 3d8, green flame blade happens twice and gives an additional 3d8) + 35 (+15 for sacred weapon from devout paladin three times, +10 for undying light's warlock twice, +10 for dragon sorcerer's favoured damage type twice)

Making 2 GFB attacks against the same target with GWM's +10, making one extra attack from haste with GWM's +10.
>>
>>49997961
That's bonus action to attack from cantrip.
So at level 11 you would forgo 2 extra attack for it.

At level 11... assuming both have +5 DEX

Crossbow EK master race:
4d8+20+40 = 78 average damage

Piss poor Rapier EK peasant:
7d8+10 = 41.5 average damage

And you can't really complain about feat tax, since Rapier + Shield EK need to take Warcaster too, otherwise they can't cast spell with somatic component like Shield or Mirror Image.
>>
>>49998456
If you have player character concepts you wanted to try, make them as NPC 'venturers
Make a random adventurer table - crunch+gimmick
Roll dem bones to see how they did in adventure. Once or twice per adventure.
>>
>>49998602
>>49998622
Thanks. I was thinking Battlemaster for the knockback, but I could get that from martial adept if I go ranger.
Anyway to get the short invisibility she has in her ultimate?

>>49998646
She seems like a good fit into CoS, which I'm going to play.
>>
>>49998690
The honest answer would just be magic items, unless you're playing a class with a lot of spells you're unlikely to be able to actually go invisible (although rangers and rogues are good at mundane hiding)
>>
>>49998714
That's fine. Guess I can just ask my GM for a cape of invisibility or something at higher levels
Thanks for the (You)
>>
>>49998674
Depends how strict your DM is about handling weapons, as you can drop weapon, attack and then pick up a weapon.

War caster would probably happen though, as you get to get booming blade on opportunity attacks, which is insanely good.

Firstly, you're making the assumption at one of the rapier+shield's weaker levels. Levels 3-4, 7-10, 17-19 are all rapier+shield good territory,which is essentially half of levels 3-20, whereas extra attack guy likes the other half. That's already a little unfair, but we might as well go for level 11 because it'd be a slaughterfest at the rapier-favoured levels.

Secondly, you're assuming they don't multi-class. I won't go into it because that's another fuckfest, but you could easily multiclass out of GFB/BB reliant EKs as their damage will keep scaling without fighter levels. This means they could be doing things such as stacking up sneak attack damage. Or, other benefits like eldritch blastings.

Thirdly, more towards the hand crossbow, the hand crossbow will benefit greatly from magical weapons. They really need that to-hit, and they get 4x the weapon's damage. Then, they also have better ranged attacks, duh.

Alright.

4d6(14)+20+[40], 40 assuming 0 AC target.
against
4d8(18)+10+[3d8(13.5)], extra assuming secondary effect triggers.

So, yes,even without sharpshooter it'll probably do less damage in exchange for the other benefits rather than raw damage. However, we'd have to question sharpshooter's accuracy to be more clear.
>>
>>49998755
To be fair, as Invisibility is a level 2 spell, an item that allows you to cast it once per day would probably only be of uncommon rarity.
Best of luck with your game anyway, hopefully your DM will be nice.
>>
>>49998673
Oh I see how you got that number. You can't make 3 GFB attacks, you can only make 1. The spell costs a full action to make 1 weapon attack. Even if you have haste it doesn't allow you the spell action just a second weapon attack.

Sacred Weapon doesn't add damage, it just adds to the attack roll.

It's just 3d12+21d8+45 which is still good, but only for 1 round.
>>
>>49998873
Oh, only to the attack roll?
Take 15 off the number, I guess. 209 down to 194.

You can make 2 GFB attacks a turn with quickened spell.
The third attack is from haste, and is not a GFB attack.

>>49998808
>>49998674
Thinking about it, a crossbow master variant human who takes sharpshooter at level 4 could do potentially insane amounts of damage compared to their level 4 peers.

Sharpshooter/GWM will always win out in terms of damage, but it really depends by how much. Another problem is that it's very situational, as a player who always knows the enemy's AC will make better use of it because they can not use it against high AC targets.
>>
>>49998813
Oh, that's good. Then I just have to silver my bolts and I'm ready to go.
Saying "the die is cast" while drawing my great crossbow is just icing on the cake.
>>
had a player rage quit / players fight

>5 new players, he's experienced
>gets irritated and tries to get the party to not burn a village for gold
>they pick a fight with a bugbear and lose/run away
>they then decided to kidnap a noble and hold him for ransom
>warlock decides that's enough
>casts command on a battle master, tells him to sit
>rogue puts a bucket on his head with a grapple
>ranger shoots warlock in the knee
>warlock is getting more and more mad
>battle master uses GWM and precision strike to behead the warlock
>Since warlock was vague about what the demon wanted for power
>I decide sadism is the fiends motivation
>the warlock is now an undead head in a bag, he leaves
>no one has any Int checks now
>the warlock head is now a tool you can persuade / intimidate for int checks
>>
File: smile and optimism.png (259KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
smile and optimism.png
259KB, 640x480px
>>49998935
sounds like everyone is at fault but him to be honest
players were being retards, he responds nonlethally, they overreact, DM does something stupid
I'd have quit too
>>
>>49998969
>5 new players
>gets mad when they explore their first game
>>
>>49998935
I'd side with the warlock in that.
Playing lolrandumb murderhobos isn't for me

>>49999001
>burning villages and kidnapping people
>exploring
>>
>>49999001
Bitch I'm running a game for four new players, because they're not retarded they play like sensible human beings not randumb preteens
>>
File: 94b.png (601KB, 638x835px) Image search: [Google]
94b.png
601KB, 638x835px
>>49998935
>all that
New or not, your players are a bunch of shiheads. He did the right thing.
>>
>>49998935
Where is that warlock guy? I'd like to play a game with him while we make fun of the other five and the dm for being a piece of shit.
>>
>>49999008
At best, they were chaotic neutral since they haven't killed anyone and forced a village to relocate because of land disputes.

Perhaps I failed to kind of put his personality into perspective, he would get impatient and expect them to know how to play. They weren't going around playing GTA, although the background was that half were soldiers and the other half were sailors and kind of tried to form a type of A team that really got weird. Lots of fun, everyone was chill and this player really did not have the patience to play with newbies.

>>49998969
I literally hand waved his death. He can be put back together by the fiend when he wishes to come back to the game.
>>
>>49998935
Why weren't the players immediately punished for burning down a village and kidnapping a noble? they would have had to deal with every constable and warden within a hundred miles.
>>
File: smug anime girl.png (253KB, 568x638px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl.png
253KB, 568x638px
>>49999061
>backpedaling this hard because everyone is laughing at you
>>
>>49998935
poor guy, sounds like a shitty group
>>
>>49999075
This.

I punish players for standing out in the open under ranged weapon fire let alone going full drug cartel with the locals.
>>
>>49999088
Really doesn't matter to me, that same guy is a 3000 mmr dota player known to rage quit and be a baby. That's why they kill him, to provoke that reaction since he was being a baby.

>>49999075

Tribes were warring
>>
>>49999138
you have shitty players and are a shitty dm, anon. accept and move on.
>>
File: ProvenRetarded.png (828KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
ProvenRetarded.png
828KB, 640x720px
>>49999138
This is how THAT DM reacts when he realizes exactly who he is.
>>
>>49999144
>>49999121
>>49999088
>>49999058
>ball busting, railroading dms
>>
>>49999138
All I hear is "me and my friends were too immature to talk to a 'problem player' so we decided to all be even worse shitheads until he left"
And I'm using 'problem player' in very generously
>>
File: back.png (308KB, 546x700px) Image search: [Google]
back.png
308KB, 546x700px
>>49999179
>consequences are railroading
>>
File: 55477062.jpg (24KB, 311x187px) Image search: [Google]
55477062.jpg
24KB, 311x187px
>>49999186
Funny how only the warlock had consequences and not the whole group for being retards.
>>
File: we just don't know.gif (760KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
we just don't know.gif
760KB, 250x251px
>>49999205
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>49999138
>Tribes were warring
And? Murder is a felony, they would have Knights chasing their ass.
>>
>>49994944
>kobold.club

Thank you, i had not been aware of this resource until now
>>
>>49999179
Accusing me of railroading is fucking hilarious. I've never once forced my players to do anything, but if they decide to start a violent kidnapping ring they better plan that shit out because the authorities will come for them.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>49999172
>>49999180
>>49999205
>>49999216
>>49999144
>>49999121
>>49999220

I'm not going to bother writing out the whole narrative. They already killed a guard to get his armor couldn't get it, and they were driven out, and jumped on a ship to another island.

I'm not going to go no no bad players when they have in character arguments that span an hour over suddenly becoming lawful stupid like the warlock wants, thinking he can tell the party what to do, and when he starts combat intentionally to "put them in their place" they killed him, which didn't kill him and he can come back to life the minute he rejoins, which he will, because he has a temper and knows it.

Story was funny but you guys clearly projected your autistics selves into him like he was being bullied
>>
>>49999316
kek
you've been told, nobody here agrees with you, you seem like your "play style" is more suited for reddit or tumblr
>>
>>49999316
You're a shit GM and your game is utter trash.

Not only that, you are teaching new players to be shitty murderhobos too. You are thrice the normal cancer, you have no right to breathe oxygen, piss off the planet.
>>
>>49999345
Even reddit wouldn't agree with him. No one like a group of immature lolrundumz murderhobo, and the DM behind it.
>>
>>49999366
>punish new players by killing them and making the restart!

Enough, it's obvious through your hyperbole and bitchy demeanor you are simply brain damaged and unable to understand the meaning of words.
>>
File: smug anime girl.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
smug anime girl.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
>>49999394
LOL
O
L

That post makes zero mention of killing the players you asshat
They could just as easily be punished with something like exile or imprisonment, both of which offer opportunity for advancing the characters and story
But I guess a retard like you wouldn't think of that~
>>
>>49999394
Uh oh, he's starting to throw a tantrum.
>>
>>49999394
>irrecoverably damage new players by teaching them that they can do anything and not experience any sort of consequences
Two can play at this game.
>>
>>49999387
>murderhobos

Right, anyone can tell the 1.) punishing all the players through instant death is bad, driving them to another land or imprisoning or anything else is better.
2.) you aren't the only poster, but you are same fagging >>49999345 and its petty
>>
>>49999394
No. You punish them to let them know that, eventhough they have a freedom to do anything, every action has consequence.

You know, like real world.

You are like those shitty parents who let their kid do whatever they want in public. Because "aww it cute he's just a kid!"
>>
>>49999457
the funny part is that I actually have responded multiple times but one of those posts isn't mine
>>
>>49999457
Dude, you are grasping at straw here. That post isn't even me.

You should accept the truth that you are a shitty DM and work to fix it.
>>
>>49997748
Yeah that's just how their society is. They value survival skills and physical power over all else, and whoever is the strongest or most well adept at dealing with the harsh mountains deserves to be in charge.
>>
File: image.png (438KB, 1132x1020px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
438KB, 1132x1020px
>>49999470
I guess next time I post a green text I should include the entire campaign narrative and every decision and what actions I did to punish them as God, how about I instead just attach a frog.

It was funny to have a person be an unliving head that can be talked to as basically an Int tool. The player who quit found it funny and will likely return.

Also, I've never even played dnd or DM, I literally made this all up
>>
>>49999457
Nice strawman.
>>
File: 1464971215058.png (210KB, 579x399px) Image search: [Google]
1464971215058.png
210KB, 579x399px
>Group of new players testing out their murderhobo muscles
>Experienced player who has a chance to guide them along plays a squeamish bookish warlock that nobody will like/trust instead of a leader figure
>GM doesn't find meaningful ways to punish their unhealthy behavior, even their allies are murderous enough to go along with their cruel antics
>The single warlock tries to reign in 4 other people with a single spell
>The other players murder him (no reason or consequences not to, and they even get to watch a hot-tempered guy they don't like sperg out)
>The DM seems to go along with them still, instead of having the warlock's patron punish the party he essentially turns the character into an undying guidebook for the party to use and the warlock to be stuck in
You may not have intended this, but it happened.
>>
>>49999514
I think the next time you DM you should include an actual campaign with actual consequences and not just "lolyeahdoit headinabag lozzzz!!!"
>>
File: only pretending.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
only pretending.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>49999514
>>
>>49999514
> LOL le randum talking head so funniez

No, it isn't.
>>
>>49999521
he should've just dropped the party, if the dm is obviously against you then there's no reason for you to stick to it.
>>
>>49998054
Fertility.
>>
This whole pathetic shitshow of a DnD game is exactly why you put the party in a dungeon with monsters so that they have to fight bad guys and survive, instead of murdering villagers/ each other out of greed and spite.
>>
>>49999521
Sorry, you got what you read into it. He's one of my best friends and gets mad as fuck. We are all good friends and that green text was supposed to be funny. I guess I hit a sore spot with all these social pariahs.

>>49999712
That's actually my game plan, I had them encounter some goblins and they provoked a bugbear and went after it, got their asses kicked, then decided it was easier to be criminals after being chased out.

I was actually thinking to just fucking curse them all when they break in and destroy an artifact or they legit fall in a sinkhole and must gauntlet their way out.
>>
>>49999802
>muh railroading
>anyway I was gonna arbitrarily curse them all and force them into a dungeon
if I wasn't sure you were trolling them I am now
>>
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Volo_Froghemoth145.pdf

WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY? YOU WANT A FROGHEMOTH? HERE'S A MOTHERFUCKING FROGHEMOTH.
>>
>player is dming a campaign where we're all level 20

hmmm!!

Whats a good class to be? I am thinking bladelock. Anyone got any tips for builds?
>>
File: 1468239023028.jpg (17KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1468239023028.jpg
17KB, 680x383px
>>49999802
>Enable shithead players to kill your best friend's warlock who has been trying (to no avail) to keep the party on the straight and narrow
>He has anger issues and ragequits, everyone knows this but it's done anyways.
Yeah, quite a tight knit group of reasonable friends you have there. Us social pariahs are real jealous.
>>
>>49999846
No, I'm going to let them know and bait them into stealing an extremely valuable cursed artifact because I know they will steal it.
>>
>>49999859
>>
Currently an oath of the ancients paladin 7/fey warlock 2. Should I go for the level 3 warlock? A familiar (would probably go chain and sprite for insane flavor and utility) and the level 2 spell slot seems enticing, though it seems easy to fall down the rabbit hole because if I get level 3 lock, I might as well get 4 as well for the asi. Thoughts?
>>
>>50000097
The familiar would be fun/cool as hell, and generally your paladin features will always be more fun than that warlock ASI so you can just ignore it.
>>
>>50000097
What's your endgame? I'd probably never get to 20, but I'd probably level as;
>paladin 6
>warlock 9
>paladin till we stop playing
>>
>>50000240
I definitely want improved divine smite at paladin 11, but after that I'm not really sure. Leveling has slowed down a bit so there's not much of a rush.
>>
>>50000299
Paladins rely on their ABIs quite a bit. I'd do 12 paladin. At which point you're baited by paladin 4th level spells, which I would go to 13 for. The level 14 ability is where you actually have a solid break-away decision, where it may be better to finish your levels in warlock, sorcerer, or even bard.
>>
>>49999859
Barbarian. 24 Str and Con is pretty damn good.
>>
>>49992520
>>49992520
>What's the worst session you've ever played or DMed?

Ironically it was trying to play Lost Mines.Found a new group in old HS friends / acquaintances and decided to jump back into D&D. That's what pushed me to DM and now I have a group that's been going on for 1.5 years, and I've introduced over a dozen players who are now regular tabletop RPGers to the game.

I don't know if it was his style, he was a new DM, or was just unsure of the material but it was the most railroaded thing with no accounting for anything outside of what was printed, and everything was Shoot/Stab bad guys, move to next area.
>>
File: 1472955976866.png (114KB, 753x479px) Image search: [Google]
1472955976866.png
114KB, 753x479px
>>49999859
>I am thinking bladelock
>>
>>49999859
>you can be the most powerful of anything
>'I wanna be a bladelock!'

>>50000449
Starting at level 20 makes Barbarian beyond level 5-ish actually worthwhile.
>>
>>49999859
Warlock2(get misty visions)/IllusionistWizard18.
>>
How do you guys handle Gather Information in your games?
>>
>>50000634
>being a 3.pf babby
>>
>>50000634
It's fucking Charisma (Investigation), Intelligence (Investigation), and/or Charisma (Persuasion/Deception/Intimidation)
>>
>>50000634
Usually though in group discussion on what we need to know, followed by a series of nature / arcane / history checks. If the initial checks fail we try to find a source of information pertaining to the problem at hand.
>>
File: 30-clarke-faust.jpg (377KB, 650x931px) Image search: [Google]
30-clarke-faust.jpg
377KB, 650x931px
So Faust would obviously be a warlock with a fiend patron, but what would his pact, alignment, and background be?
>>
Flavoring Dragonic Ancestry Sorc's wings as raw magic, yes/no?
>>
>>50000812
Why would anyone say no?
>>
Is there any homebrew for the old Holy Rogue from 4E? (Avenger)
I know theres technically paladin avengers in 5e but they don't give the teleporting holy rogue vibe that the 4e ones gave off.
>>
Sword & Board or Two handed weapon for my champion fighter? I cant decide, what you guys think its better?
>>
>>50000845
You're the only one who played 4e.

>>50000854
Don't play champion unless it's gestalt. Pick a different fighter archetype that doesn't suck dick.
>>
>>50000634
By having them go and gather information.
>>
>>50000862
Champion is good, besides I want to play the most boring character possible (human champion)
>>
>>50000854
Two handed synchronized with critting for huge damage, GWM likes crits.
>>
File: 1465508879147_20161011_173225.jpg (37KB, 386x338px) Image search: [Google]
1465508879147_20161011_173225.jpg
37KB, 386x338px
>>50000652
>>
>>50000722
I'd go with lawful neutral noble tomelock.
>>
>>50000845

5e really doesn't like alternate stat melee like 4e did so I don't think you'll find much in the way of 'unarmoured, sneaky, wise, two handed sword user'
>>
>>50000854
If you are set on the champion archetype, then go GWF. Personally I like S&B battlemaster fighter more, but I also like being the main tank who soaks up damage like crazy, and the maneuvers are helpful in both tanking damage and dealing damage / aiding my allies deal damage.
>>
>>50000845
Play a paladin-rogue multiclass.
13 str, 20 dex, 13+ cha, get light armour, use shortswords or rapier+shield.
>>
>>50000818
I dunno, autism.
I'll be playing my first game soon and I don't know if I want to go for an Eldritch Knight or a Draconic Sorcerer
>>
>>50000922
>GWM likes crits

Not massively.
Many other features such as paladin's smite, rogue's sneak attack or whatever get quite good benefits out of crits. GWM gets an extra attack, sure, but the +10 isn't affected by the crit and you only get one bonus action, and might already have used an extra attack for killing things.

GWM doesn't have much more synergy with crits than many other things do, I'd say.

>>50000854
If you want to go sword and board, pick one of the other archetypes that actually helps your tankiness (particularly EK). Otherwise, shut up and pick greatsword + GWM you dunce.
>>
>>50001034
When in doubt, always go with the full caster.
>>
>>50001073
The only problem is that I'm worried I won't be able to keep track of all of it.
>>
>>50000922
>>50000991
Thanks

>>50001052
>If you want to go sword and board, pick one of the other archetypes that actually helps your tankiness (particularly EK).
I already decided the archetype

>Otherwise, shut up and pick greatsword + GWM
Thanks

>you dunce.
Rude
>>
File: Rape_everything.jpg (80KB, 354x490px) Image search: [Google]
Rape_everything.jpg
80KB, 354x490px
>>50001101
You're supposed to automatically know that champion is supposed to be for big weapons and hitting things

Honestly though you should multiclass out of champion at 3 and abandon ship and go barbarian instead and pick half-orc or something, I don't know
Just stop trying to be bad
>>
>>50001098
5e is really simple to keep track of. Don't worry.
>>
>>50000899
>Champion is good
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3gdhj7/champion_vs_battlemaster_why_5e_has_bad_math/
>leddit
The math is solid.
>>
>>50001162
I'm practically retarded and casters are complex in comparison in my eyes, but fuck it I learn by doing
Sorcerer's decent fun, yeah?
>>
>>50001098
>>50001162
especially sorcerer, that does not know a lot of spells
>>
>>50001194
That's the spirit. Sorcerer is fun, the only caveat is you have to choose your spells very wisely, because you don't get many.
>>
Speaking of Sorcerer, does anyone find it annoying and broken that a wizard with 14 intelligence can prepare more spells than a Sorcerer knows at all levels?

I thought sorcerers were supposed to have access to more spells at any given point than a wizard could have prepared, but the wizard gets to know way more.
>>
File: 1475428757324.gif (1003KB, 216x158px) Image search: [Google]
1475428757324.gif
1003KB, 216x158px
>>50001258
TODAY I WILL REMIND THEM!

Wizards have:
- 92 more spells to choose from than sorcerers
- can know literally every spell, with the SOLE exception of Enhance Ability, that a sorcerer can
- can cast *more spells per day* than a sorcerer *EVEN IF* the sorcerer converts *EVERY SINGLE ONE* of their sorcery points into spell slots (lol) due to arcane recharge at most levels
- has access to disgustingly good archetypes like divination and illusion, with portent from divination being objectively better than any heightened spell and the level 14 illusionist feature being arguably the best battlefield utility and control feature in the entire game
- signature spell and spell master are simply better end-game capstones than any of the last sorcerous origin features or sorcerous restoration (lol)
- wizards memorize *more spells in a single day* than sorcerers *EVEN HAVE KNOWN* at any given level
- ^ what the fuck
- access to ridiculously good spells in particular that sorcerers don't get like wall of force, foresight, maze, imprisonment - the list goes on and on.

MEANWHILE, SORCERERS GET:
- certain twinned concentration spells (great)
- heightened save or sucks (neat but portent does it better)
- quickened spells + cantrips for slightly better sustained damage over the course of a few rounds than wizards can usually manage
>>
I hate my DM, he just throw two or three hard encounters a day and thats it, with no short rests between them, you literally cant play warlocks or monks in my table
>>
>>50001290
How did Sorcerer make it to publication?
>>
>>50001290
I guess that's why they call them Wizards of the Coast XD
>>
>>50001318
see
>>50001323
>>
>>50001258
>wizard with 14 intelligence
its the modifier, not the actual number, so a level one wizard with 14 int can only prepare 3 spells
>>
>>50001290
>can cast *more spells per day* than a sorcerer *EVEN IF* the sorcerer converts *EVERY SINGLE ONE* of their sorcery points into spell slots (lol) due to arcane recharge at most levels
As far as I understood it, this is wrong, sorcerer can convert more spells if he uses his points just for doing it

>MEANWHILE, SORCERERS GET:
Subtle spell is pretty good too, and there is no way a wizard can do this
>>
File: 1475340522772.jpg (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1475340522772.jpg
2MB, 1600x900px
>>50001343
Wizard 14 INT 1-20 memorized spells at a time
1 - 3
2 - 4
3 - 5
4 - 6
5 - 7
6 - 8
7 - 9
8 - 10
9 - 11
10 - 12
11 - 13
12 - 14
13 - 15
14 - 16
15 - 17
16 - 18
17 - 19
18 - 20
19 - 21
20 - 22

Sorcerer spells known
1 - 2
2 - 3
3 - 4
4 - 5
5 - 6
6 - 7
7 - 8
8 - 9
9 - 10
10 - 11
11 - 12
12 - 12
13 - 13
14 - 13
15 -14
16 - 14
17 - 15
18 - 15
19 - 15
20 - 15

>>50001389
I'll tell you why you're wrong in a moment.
>>
File: 1311029310948.jpg (834KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1311029310948.jpg
834KB, 1920x1080px
A-are warlocks good?

I want to worship a Great Old One.
>>
I'm playing a Rogue who's an agent for the Church of Pelor in a theocratic empire with a bunch of different sects akin to branches of administration, and I need names for the different ones. It's unlikely that the game will ever go there, and it'll probably never come up, but I like making overly detailed character backgrounds.

So how about helping me out? Naming scheme being for a Pelor church is obviously Sun themed.

So far I've got

>Spy/Agent/Assassin sect- Eclipse Sect; akin to your standard fantasy spy ring with agents doing spying, espionage, missions on foreign soil where subtlety is needed, keeping organized crime under control, and rooting out corruption at home.

>Paladins and other holy warriors sect- Radiant Sect; What it says on the tin; Paladins, Clerics, and even some Mages; generally individuals or small groups. The key difference between this and the Military one is that members have a lot more individual freedom and ability, however religious practices are made significantly stricter. These are the people usually sent on missions where being subtle isn't an option, they want to send a message, or it's directly related to the church. Works closely with the Military sect, in times of war they typically give much of their power to the military with their Paladins being assigned to Army forces.

>Merchants sect- Exactly as it's described, I haven't given it much thought beyond "it exists". Manages much of the bureaucratic side of national trade.

>Military sect (Includes City Guard)- Again, self explanatory.

>Arcane/Research/Science sect- Illuminated Sect; The most regulated of the Sects, they're the ones in charge of Universities and funding private Wizard's research. The only sect where being a member of the church isn't mandatory since getting powerful spellcasters on your side is too good a boon for any nation. Also has a fledgling Magic Item Manufacturing industry, mostly supplying the Military with low-level magic gear.
>>
>>50001444
They're passable.
Especially if you're a good player and actually make full use of pact of the chain/tome.
>>
>>50001444
Yes, but if your DM is like mine >>50001313
You shouldn't play one
>>
>>50001452

What's the other one, pact of the blade?

That seemed like such an obvious bad choice right away I thought there must be some kind of trick to it, since I assume warlocks don't want to be in melee range any more than any other kind of caster.
>>
>>50001458
Eh, Warlocks do well without rests since most of their punch comes from EB.

I had a similar situation and my bread and butter was Create Bonfire -> EB the shit out of the target, even if the enemy wanders out of the bonfire it's still useful for area denial.

>>50001478
The only good use of Pact of the Blade I've seen is DMs letting GOOlocks make their arms into '10 tentacles for grappling stuff or otherwise shaping their flesh into weapons.

And I've seen 3 different DMs with different groups allow it, it's kinda funny how everyone seems to get the same idea for it.
>>
>>50001313
That's how a lot of campaigns are. The number of mandated encounters per day simply doesn't make sense in the vast majority of situations an adventuring party would get themselves into. When you're traveling overland or in a city, odds are you're getting into one fight per day at the very most. When you're in a dungeon, either the monsters are communicating with each other and you can't even take a short rest without being interrupted, or the monsters are isolated and you can excavate one room at a time while taking a long rest whenever you need one.
>>
>>50001478
It's doable if you optimize really heavily for it, basically makes you into a warlock-rogue. Generally its considered a bad choice, though.
It's my favorite class.
>>
>>50000997
How good what a rogue/paladin avenge devotion multiclass be? How many levels would I take?
>>
>>50001444

They can be great if you're creative. Use deception to its fullest with free disguise self, for example, to wreak havoc on NPCs. Or cast 'friends' on someone, then disguise self to disappear before they turn hostile.
>>
>>49994411
What if they resurrect it, so they can kill it for a second magic item? What if they manage to imprison it, and bleed it every day for it's blood?
>>
>>50001437
>I'll tell you why you're wrong in a moment.
still wainting
>>
>>50001389
>>50001646
>As far as I understood it, this is wrong, sorcerer can convert more spells if he uses his points just for doing it
The sorcerer first gets the ability to change sorcery points into spell slots at level 2, at which point the sorcerer can use both points to regain one 1st level spellslot, for a total of 4 first level spell uses at second level.
The wizard has arcane recharge at first level, which lets the wizard refresh a 1st level spell slot for a total of 4 first level spell slots at both 1st level (where the sorcerer can't) and 2nd level as well.

After first level it's a straight tie until level 9, at which point the sorcerer takes an incredibly tiny lead in being able to have both a 5th level and a 1st level spell regained, which continues to the end of the game.

So the initial statement does need to be reworded to "wizards get to cast more spells unless you're an absolute dumb shit and convert all or at least most of your spells to sorcery points at every level".

Because you're an absolute dumb shit if you do that.
>>
>>50001662
>which lets the wizard refresh a 1st level spell slot for a total of 4 first level spell slots at both 1st level (where the sorcerer can't) and 2nd level as well
3 at 1st level (more than sorcerer) and tie thereafter until level 9.
>>
>>50001290
>portent can only be used twice a day until late level
>heighten spell can be used as long as you have spell points to spend
>Dragon sorcerer also gets natural armor, bonus HP, wings, and bonus damage to all of their spells of a certain element of their choice.

I'm not going to deny that wizards are pretty freaking strong, but sorcerers have pretty solid abilities too to make up for their lack of versatility.
>>
>>50001478
I'm glad you have enough understanding of the rules to have grasped the shittiness of bladelock before being baited into playing it.

That gives me hope.
>>
>>50001678
Heighten can only be used once a day until 6th level, and only twice a day (same as portent) thereafter until 9th level ^_^
And that's using all or most of your sorcerery points purely on heighten ^_^
While the wizard arcane recharges all over your face and doesn't merely have an enemy have disadvantage on a saving throw, but automatically fail it unless it has legendary resistance ^_^
>>
>>50001290
Dont forget about sculpt spell versus careful metamagic, its hilarious
>>
>>50001742
That's specifically evocation school wizards though. I don't think evo wizards are "disgustingly good", but the discrepancy between careful spell and sculpt spells *IS* really really hilarious.
>>
>>50001711
Or it had advantage. Portent only changes one die roll, so if they had advantage and rolled decent on both dice, you could use portent and still fail. On top of that wizard needs a short rest to get your spell slots back, while sorcerer can do it on the fly.
>>
File: 1459015783127.png (271KB, 507x507px) Image search: [Google]
1459015783127.png
271KB, 507x507px
>>50001826
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/24/diviner-wizard-portent/
>>
Is it bad to want to style a caster around one particular type of damage?
>>
>>50001861
kek
They really are the WIZARDS of the coast
>>
>>50001871
Not at all.
>>
File: 1469996493760.jpg (337KB, 600x840px) Image search: [Google]
1469996493760.jpg
337KB, 600x840px
>>50001879
>>
>>50001871
If Elemental Adept didn't exist no, but I'm going to be using fire and getting that so no it's good.
>>
>>50001871
Not evil, but probably not the maximum amount of fun you could have playing that character. Taking too many damage spells is redundant past a certain point, especially when they all deal the same kind of damage. What makes casters supreme is their utility and crowd control spells.
>>
>>50001861
That's sorta stupid, but then again it's been ruled that lucky turns disadvantage into super advantage so I guess portent overriding everything is just as logical.

Still, I think sorcerer is far potent than you let on. Natural armor, bonus HP, metamagics, bonus damage to all spells of the same element, and eventual at will flying are nothing to scoff at.
>>
>>50001871
It's not bad at all, especially with elemental adept. In fact, it's what Dragon sorcerer specializes in.
>>
>>50001451
Non thief rogue. I veto your character concept.
>>
Taking a point in warlock as a sorcerer so every short rest I can get sorcery points? It's only 2 but that's a pretty beneficial plus I would say.
>>
I have done it

I have found a way to deal

12d12+94d8+4d6+3d4+85
For a maximum of
1017 damage
I HAVE BROKEN THE LIMITER

To a single target all by yourself without magic items with only 20 levels without wild sorcerer shenanigans or vulnerabilities (Because wild sorcerer has things such as 'immediately cast another spell' or 'everyone nearby gains vulnerability to pierce'
... Fuck, I forgot UA ranger. Might be a bit hard to squeeze in anyway for a measly +2 a hit.

There's probably a way to do more, but this particular method needs:
Half-orc Sorcerer 4 / Fighter 2 / Arcane Trickster Rogue 3 / Vengeance Paladin 11
Sharpshooter
Great Weapon Master
Warcaster
20 strength
A turn to cast 'haste' on yourself.
A good night's sleep.
A target that is either fiend or undead, that stores an action to run away from you and then run back towards you (to trigger a reaction attack and set off booming blade's effect twice)

>crit enemy in melee with crossbow, dealing sneak attack and GWM and sharpshooter damage. Also smite their ass
>booming blade them as an action. Also smite their ass
>they run, booming blade them. Also smite their ass.
>they come back. quickened spellcasting, booming blade them. Smite their ass.
>action surge. Booming blade them. Also, smite.
>>
>>50001881
>>50001940
>>50002034
I feel polarized here.
>>50001971
I mean honestly, I really want to do some sort of "stars and heavenly bodies" thing more than anything else, but I really don't know how I'd go about it.
>>
>>50002231
Here's the breakdown, I forgot to say that I assume everything crits. Or did I? And assume you somehow roll highest on all damage rolls.

Whack them with the crossbow using your haste attack. Use sharpshooter and great weapon master.
(3*1)d4+25 (half-orc critical with a ranged weapon's melee attack, +20 to damage)
+(2*(5+1+1))d8 (Improved smite against undead/fiend)
+(2*2)d6 sneak attack.

Now, drop your crossbow immediately. Take out a fucking greataxe, using your object interaction.
Booming blade with your action.
(3*1)d12+15
+(2*3)d8 (Booming blade)
+(2*(5+1+1))d8 (smite)

Enemy then runs.
+4d8 damage (Booming blade)
Use your reaction to booming blade them (War caster)
(3*1)d12+15
+(2*3)d8 (Booming blade)
+(2*(5+1+1))d8 (smite)
Since they're still running afterwards, they take the extra damage again
+4d8 damage (booming blade)

Alright. Here it gets easy.
Quickened spell - booming blade.
(3*1)d12+15
+(2*3)d8 (Booming blade)
+(2*(5+1+1))d8 (smite)
Action surge. Booming blade.
(3*1)d12+15
+(2*3)d8 (Booming blade)
+(2*(5+1+1))d8 (smite)

Did I miss anything?
There's two extra levels on sorcerer because without those two extra levels the character wouldn't have 5 level 4+ spell slots to smite with.
>>
>>50001444
Warlocks are great. Specific warlock builds are the in the highest damage tiers, all the pages are useful, and they're flavorful as Chuck.
>>
>>50002237
You could be a Great Old One warlock and obsess over the time when the stars are right and Cthulhu will rise again
>>
Which is the stronger class overall?

Paladin or Fighter?
>>
>>50002349
Warlock.
>>
>>50002352
Not an option
>>
>>50002349
Probably paladin? In addition to being able to moonlight as healers, they can do more single-target damage than fighters.
>>
>>50002349
Paladin is much better team support, has some decent multiclass potential at 11 I guess.

Fighter has a few nice multiclass synergies. Champion fighter is just bad. Battlemaster may compete with Paladin for damage and EK is just tough.

I'd say champion if you actually consider your team. Seriously, even their aura applies to death saves.
>>
>>50002349
Paladin kills something this turn but not so much next and has spells.

Fighter hurts things really hard forever and has feats.

I like them both but I have a fetish for fighters.
>>
>>50002324
I was thinking more of some sort of silly, childish "HOLY SHIT STARS ARE THE COOLEST THING" motivation.
>>
>>50002349
Fighter does more damage, but paladin brings much more to the table
>>
>>50002349
Fighters get Feats. Feats can break the game if you play your cards right. They also get Battle Master, which keeps up with Smite Damage. They also get Action Surge.

Paladins get Smite and Buffing and Healing and are every bit as tough and damagey as fighters. However, they're very dependent on Long Rests.
>>
>>50002359
>>50002359
Then Paladin, because it makes the best multiclass option with warlocks.
>>
>>50002386
If that's the depth of his interest in it, he could be any class at all. Just have him look at the stars sometimes. If you want him to be able to do something star-related, give him the sailor background and suddenly he knows how to use navigator's tools and use the stars to determine location and time of day.

Alternately, you could just be the kind of wizard they don't make any more, the kind with a pointy hat and a robe covered in stars. You know, the classic.
>>
>>50002202
But it is a thief rogue.
Gotta have dat Fast Hands and Second Story Work.
>>
>>50002659
Aleluia
>>
>>50002010
I don't think sorcerers are unplayable, I think wizards are way better.
Because they are.
>>
>>50002349
Are you high? Bard followed by wizard are the best classes in the game.
>>
>>50002349
>>50002756
>stronger
Paladin brings more to a team imo.
>>
>>50001290
>tfw no one cares that you control the battlefield
>tfw people care when the sorcerer casts a spell and does tons of damage because rerolling 1's and 2's

also, i'm pretty sure wizards don't get access to dominate beast
>>
File: laughingneckbeard.jpg (62KB, 734x510px) Image search: [Google]
laughingneckbeard.jpg
62KB, 734x510px
>>50002876
>also, i'm pretty sure wizards don't get access to dominate beast
>dominate beast
mfw
I will add that to the pasta though, since it actually makes it even more comedic.
>>
>>50002763
Bards and wizards bring more to a team. Paladins bring a lot to a team, but not more than bards and wizards. You would have to be *INCREDIBLY* dumb with your spell choices/uses to not be more useful than a paladin as a bard/wizard.
>>
>responding to myself thinking I'm a different person
Wew.
>>
>>50001290
You forgot that the sorcerer knows more cantrips at every level :^)
>>
>>50003478
WEW LAD THAT'S WORTH NOTING
THANKS FOR CATCHING THAT SENPAI - THE SORCERER IS SUPERIOR WITH THIS NEW REVELATION
>>
>>49998456
Make them promote the guild, maybe they go into town looking for tough guys at the bars. Prompt this by telling them how they've been sitting around with nothing happening for a week or two.

Have some conflict by having a rival guild start up. This could lead to bidding wars for adventuring contracts, etc.

They've got to find adventures for their guildsmen to embark on. Prompt them to figure out some sort of information gathering network. This could work well in conjunction with the rival guild.

As others said, once guild members start joining roll to see how their adventures go. On a poor roll, roll again to see if the adventurer recovers or dies.

Have angry family members show up when adventurers die. Have people wondering why they're in charge or not adventuring on their own.
Thread posts: 377
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.