[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mtg Standard General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 45

File: Image-1.png (126KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image-1.png
126KB, 223x311px
No standard general /tg/?
What are you running and how do you beat archetypes that exist, azorius aggro rw vehicles gruul energy and jeskai control?
Any homebrews that win in unconventional ways? I'm quite partial to Sam Black's bushwhacker aggro because it puts a lot of pressure on the board for very cheap
>>
>>49968226
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13809&d=281505&f=ST
Here's the Sam Black list from SCG Classic Milwaukee. I'm a big fan of Sam's deckbuilding since his zombardment legacy deck, and he always seems to brew outside the box of existing deck archetypes. He really likes graveyard resourcing in every format and I do too
>>
Op bump. I'm currently running gruul energy and I really want a better matchup post board against azorius. Thinking of splashing blue, but dispel/negate don't do anything to spell quellers unfortunately. Is there a good answer to spell queller in standard? (Better than say, void shatter? There's no 2 mana essence scatter atm)
>>
I want to do art for WoTC one day. I know it's a pipe dream right now but I Want it to happen. Anybody got experience with this? this is my current art level, where should I step it up?
>>
>>49968610
It looks abit cartoony for my taste.
>>
Making a 5c gearhulk combo lads.
Wish me luck.
>>
>>49968546
Upon reflection, harnessed lightning or a second galv bombardment is pretty good even to save a pump spell (let the queller resolve, let it's ability resolve, then burn it)
>>49968610
This is pretty good, I would work on using more color and fine detail on the sky and on the scales. Think about lighting and shadows, and instead of using stylized details (like a cartoon style), go for a more photorealistic style with gritty details. But it's really good, far better than I could do
>>
>>49968319

Why is Gideon Ally of Zendikar all over the place in standard? Is it for is +0, make a bunch of tokens or is it for his +1?
>>
>>49968818
>>49969041
Thanks, guys! I'll take it into account
>>
>>49969132
It's 4 mana for a 5/5 indestructible/token generator/permanent creature buff. He works in pretty much any white deck atm
>>
>>49968610
This art reminds me of older magic expansions when the art was more cartoony. Not sure WOTC is looking for this kind of style anymore, but maybe it would fit in if they returned to Lorwyn.
>>
>>49969132
He's solid. Very comparable to Elspeth KE. Also BFZ block's duration in standard got extended, so people aren't trying to dump them pre-rotation either. I just sold mine for some copters to throw in Spirit Tempo, and I haven't regretted it.
>>
>>49968610
if there were more detail in the coloring, it would be a contender for magic art.
>>
>>49968610
The composition of the dragons head seems wrong , i cant pin point what its lacking , depth mayby?
>>
>>49968226
Shit format detected.
>>
>>49970343

name at least one non-shit format.
>>
>>49971203
frontier
>>
>>49971296

>Memeing this hard
>>
>>49969041
Photorealism is the cancer that's ruining Magic art. Terese Nielsen and Rebecca Guay are easily two of the best card artists and their shit isn't photorealistic at all.
>>
File: faf[1].png (516KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
faf[1].png
516KB, 600x600px
>>49971296
>>
>>49968610
>>>/ic/
The sticky has some good tips
>>
>>49968546
Horribly Awry
>>
>>49974524
OH! yeah this is perfect
thanks anon
>>
File: 1414638522430.jpg (66KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1414638522430.jpg
66KB, 500x375px
>It's another W/U control deck with Spell Shrivelers and Reflector Mages
>it's another R/G energy deck built around Electrostatic Pummemeler
>It's another Smuggler's Copter artifact rush deck with fucking Panharmonicon

The current meta is such garbage
>>
>>49978493
Thermo Visions is the cure you are looking for.
>>
>>49968610
For what it's worth, I like it. The other posters in the thread are right, it's a little more cartoony than most MTG art these days, but I could definitely see the style work for a block like Kaladesh or Lorwyn. Do you have any other samples?
>>
I'm running Orzhov lifegain
havent played anyone because playing the same decks multiple times is boring
runs good against my friends control though, ok with aggro, don't know about vehicles and rekt by his mill deck
>>
>>49978493
>The current meta is such garbage
Yeah I much preferred 2 hour long Company mirrors where the board is a huge clusterfucked stalemate.
>>
>>49970343

Kaladesh has ended the standard is a shit format meme imo.

This coming from someone who used to only play modern, pauper and edh and actively hated standard for over a decade.
>>
>>49978493

You're forgetting about bg delirium, jeskai and grixis control being things too. The format is pretty decent right now.
>>
>>49980764
Only problem is smugglers meme
>>
File: Scrapheap Scrounger_KLD.jpg (66KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Scrapheap Scrounger_KLD.jpg
66KB, 312x445px
>>49968226
Currently running jund aggro (basic r/b aggro splashing green for Gearhulk and sb)
>>
>>49968610
Right now it looks like a sketch awaiting approval and no a finished piece. If it indeed is a sketch then that's fine, but if you consider it done then you have a long way to go as an artist.

Magic art doesn't require much detail because the art is so small, but it does require more polish than this.
>>
Hey guys. When rotation hits and all my cards become useless, what do I do with them?
>>
>>49980083
>lifegain winning against control but not aggro

What fucking negaverse do you play cards in?
>>
Why is everyone who plays standard on xmage such a fucking retard? I chose the "serious" tag because I'm trying to test my deck against real decks, not the same faggot with his budget RDW shitbrew.
>>
>>49981524
Call it Type 2 instead of Standard to avoid as many children as possible.
>>
>>49981350
Winter is coming.

Burn them for heat.
>>
Are emerge decks basically dead now? Cannibalized into zombies and the like?
>>
>>49981350
Hold onto them for nostalgia value/when Wizards inevitably makes Frontier a supported format. Or you could try to he savvy about it and trade them away before rotation and their value plummets.
>>
>>49980764
Yeah other than everyone needing a Looter Scooter, Kaladesh has been great. And even so, Smug Cop doesn't feel like the kind of big mistake card that tends to come from making a new variety of card, so I feel it's not the end of the world that it's so popular.

Though, usually this proves to be the calm before the storm. I dunno if Aether Revolt will do something to blow the format up in everyone's faces.
>>
>show up to standard event just to see how the local meta is
>half is some aggro featuring copter
>other half is UW flash

Will they actually have to ban copter? It's showing up as a 4 of in basically every deck
>>
>>49984468
>playing with strangers

Weirdo.
>>
>>49984468
Only one person is currently playing UW Flash at my LGS, I expect that to change thought sadly. I really don't think I can beat that deck with my angel nonsense.
>>
Reminder that Dynavolt Tower is good against UW midrange. Reflector Mage and Queller are X/3, and you get another cast trigger off Queller.
>>
File: HET.jpg (32KB, 278x400px) Image search: [Google]
HET.jpg
32KB, 278x400px
>>49984468
>mfw it's here to stay a whole year

The egyptian whatever its name is plane better have some good shit to compensate.
>>
>>49981524
desu, if your deck loses to some random RDW homebrew then it's better for you to not run it against any real deck.
>>
>>49986245
I'm not losing against them, but I already know the deck I am playing can beat shitbrews, I'm trying to see how it plays against shit I'd see at an FNM.
>>
>>49981524
you are literally the guy that brings a brew into a competitive lobby.
>>
>>49987466
How am I? Because I am testing nu-Thalia and Natural State in Bant Midrange? The deck that has put up several tournament and standard competitive league results?
>>
RW Vehicles question:

Is the current state of Standard a Skywhaler's Shot kind of meta or more of a Stasis Snare one?

And has anyone tried Collective Effort at all? Chunky 3cmc sorcery is chunky but the Escalate cost strikes me as a match made in heaven with Depala.
>>
>>49987466
>you are literally the guy that brings a brew into a competitive lobby.
What's the problem with that ?
>>
>>49987755
It's a but of a toss up, honestly. Snare stops the zombie graveyard shenanigans that shot just enables, but so many decks run fragmentize in the board nowadays that relying on a 3cmc enchantment can be risky against some decks.
>>
>>49987755
Skywhaler is pretty nice, but be sure that all decks that pack the juicy targets (gearhulks, avacyns and pummelers) will have a lot of removal protection to keep them from dying. It still can force them to keep mana for them and it's only 1cmc so by all means keep them sideboarded.
About collective effort, it's a nice card but with vehicles being so aggro focused I don't think you should use 3 mana on casting that when you could be dropping more creatures in early turns, same with stasis snare I'd say. They strike me as more midrange cards.
>>
>>49987466
Every deck started as a brew. Let people make decks you asstwat. If they lose, they can learn lessons from it. It's like you don't want people to grow as players.
>>
>>49987825
I'm the anon he was responding to. I tagged my xmage rooms as "Serious" because I am attempting to test some alterations to an already competitively viable deck and the only matches I am getting are budget shitbrews that don't actually help me test.
>>
>>49987914
i'm just calling him out on doing the thing he's complaining about. you wanna test your brew? so do those people. nut up and 2-0 them, then re-queue.
>>
>>49987914
Nigger, where did I say I didn't want people to grow as players? They should grow, but not to the detriment of others by inhibiting their deck tuning. I'm trying to test Nu Thalia and Natural State in Bant Midrange, playing my deck against some $40 gremlin tribal RDW does not help me.
>>
>>49988064
If you're still here, set up a forge lobby, I'll play you with whatever top tier net deck you want.
>>
>>49987936
why did you not call it competitive or only tier? it's much more clear
>>
>>49984468
>over 65% of decks play 4 copters
>>
File: 1368950740580.jpg (18KB, 367x479px) Image search: [Google]
1368950740580.jpg
18KB, 367x479px
>>49989533
I honestly don't know what Wizards expected

>it's 2 mana so it can go in aggressive or control builds
>it's colorless so you just slap it in everything
>every deck loves looting effect so you slap it in everything

It's colorless baby jace with a 3/3 flying body that only asks that you have any one creature in play. Honestly I'm hoping for a banning because standard is so abysmal right now
>>
>>49989636
i love how everytime a card goes well people talk like it was obvious all along and make horrible comparisons to other good cards
>>
>>49989682
Near launch most people had it pegged as the best vehicle by a large margin

I'm not claiming to be a pro just because I saw that it was pretty good early. Plenty of people even wrote articles way back praising it's power.
>>
>>49989708
it was obviopusly a good card but it's because of meta too that it became so prevalent, also the comparison with jace is one of the worst i ever read.
>>
>>49989636
>but you have to play creatures~
>and looting isn't even card advantage~

But for real always expect the first wave of a new kind of card to do something dumb.
>>
File: ByeUlamog.gif (439KB, 400x292px) Image search: [Google]
ByeUlamog.gif
439KB, 400x292px
4-0 with Equiped Allies yet again.
Holy shiet the salt on the Jeskai Control player was palpable.
>>
File: 1322244389559.png (74KB, 232x233px) Image search: [Google]
1322244389559.png
74KB, 232x233px
>>49968226
>What are you running and how do you beat archetypes that exist, azorius aggro rw vehicles gruul energy and jeskai control?

>UR Emerge
it beats everything by actually being a dredge list in standard.
OR
you will lose because you drew the wrong half of your deck.

This week I'm playing UR Dynavolt because I am a living meme.
>>
>>49992703
I made a budget equipped allies deck last rotation and I liked how it could amass damage out of nowhere.
Do you want to post your deck list?
>>
>>49972241
it would not be so bad if there was some fucking variety
i like the current art but it needs a few other styles scattered in to shake it up
>>
>>49968610
the pose is nice and i dont really know enough to comment on the quality of the art but modern magic art has a very specific style needs to be sharper
>>
Emerge looks like a fun mechanic

but is it actually good
>>
>>49989636
3/3 for 2 with flying is already stupid good. Don't forget it can just completely avoid creature removal until it's activated for the turn. Hope you aren't running sorcery speed anything.
>>
>>49995192
is it just me or are all the vehicles either total crap or really good
>>
>>49992703
Post list if you would.
>>
>>49995151
Grixis Emerge has kind of just been upgraded to BR zombies at this point. They still tend to run Distended Mindbender and Kozi's Return in the SB though
>>
>>49995248
the ship and the car are both middling cards
>>
>>49996688
Grixis Emerge split into UR Dredge-Fiend and BR Zombies. Taking the middling game of the original deck and splits them into focusing on one or the other mechanic with a cleaner manabase.

here's my Dredge-Fiend list.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ur-dredge-fiend/
>>
>>49993110
>>49995948
I'm sure it has the following:
Thraben inspector
new artifact kird ape
ally that gives +1 +0 if you control an artifact
artifact claws that put an ally attacking
red ally that gives menace to your creatures when etb
lands
>>
Today will be my first FNM. What should I do/not do to avoid become that guy?

Inb4 basic hygiene and properly fitting clothing.
>>
HEy I'm looking to build a stand version of "The Rock" from back in my heydays of playing magic. I never got to build it when it was type 1. Can anyone help me out? I have most the good g/b stuff out right now.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/pthou02/tech1
>>
>>49999697
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-bg-delirium#online
>>
>>49999746
delirium is a totally different beast though from the looks of it.
>>
>>49999754
not really. you play efficient beaters, removal, hand disruption, value walkers and a couple payoffs.

it's pretty good but i'd rather play literally dredge
>>49998439
>>
>>49999604

Are you very new to Magic in general as well?

Just be in good spirits and expect to get stomped because if you're really new to the game your deck is probably weak compared to what other people are bringing.
>>
>>50000557
I've played countless matches against an AI (Forge) but have never played in person before.

>expect to get stomped
If by 'stompted' you mean Thopter'ed, Gideon'ed or W/U Flashed, then yes I am prepared to get stomped.
>>
>>49998916
Well yeah, but I want to see any techs and such as well as sideboard.
>>
So we had a Glimmer of hope of a balanced standard environment with an actual aggro /control/ combo metagame and now we're back to g/b/x midrange grind hell .

I'm so glad I didn't buy into this degenerate shit especially as it wont even rotate out now.
>>
>>49968226
Gonna try this out tonight

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/updated-rw-midrange-angel/
>>
>>50002984
Format's fine though, there's always a Rock deck but when's the last time a Boros pile with an aggressive slant could also get some semblance of card advantage around the midgame?

>rhetorical question: about 7 years ago when Boros Bushwhacker came and went back in SOA-ZEN Standard, and even back then you obviously played Jund or didn't play at all, derp

But seriously as long as Depala exists I'm forcing RW Dorf-Vehicles to live the dream of recruiting a fistful of cards every subsequent turn. She's one of the best things to happen to RW in ages, even if tribewise the amount of support she's going to get isn't likely to be much.

She's like Boros Charm levels of "we want to push the RW agenda pretty hard right now."
>>
File: Image (5).png (112KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image (5).png
112KB, 223x311px
>>49998916
No Thraben Inspector, Toolcraft Exemplar or Kirdifact.
Only one mana drops were Expedition Envoy and Stoneforge Acolyte. Toolcraft can replace Envoy, tho.
Firemantle Mage is in the Sideboard along with Lantern Scout.
Only non-Ally creature is Thalia Heretic Cathar.
>>
File: 6031983364.jpg (43KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
6031983364.jpg
43KB, 768x768px
>tfw guys on channel fireball still shill G/B delirium as the strongest deck in standard
>>
>>50003443

So what is?
>>
>>49998916
>new artifact kird ape
Please, her name is Nerd Ape.
>>
>>50003878

As much as I love the name that sounds so bad taken out of context.
>>
File: therock.png (29KB, 328x768px) Image search: [Google]
therock.png
29KB, 328x768px
>>50003630

Guess, for sure it isn't a delirium deck.
>>
>>49969882
whats your list for spirit tempo?
i've been playing tamiyo spirits and 4-0ing fnm
>>
>>49987936

>I tagged my xmage rooms as "Serious" because I am attempting to test some alterations to an already competitively viable deck

Tagging it "Serious" is only referring to skill level. Has nothing to do with what type of decks one brings into a game in Xmage. If you want to play against established only decks then put it in your game description.
>>
>>50002984

There is a balance. Only reason why you see G/B Delirium in large percentages is because the deck survived intact rotation with almost all of its cards still in the format. It's a solid deck and that's why you see lot of people playing it because they can't be arsed to spend money on another deck.

But right now you have Jeskai, Grixis, U/W and even slivers of Sultai Control for the control decks. Aetherworks and Dynavolt decks are around for your combo decks and there's usually very rarely any combo decks in Standard these days.
>>
>>50004770
The format continues to be garbage tier. Well, I'll ignore for another year then.
>>
>tfw everyone complaining about copter
>tfw there is another card that is almost a mandatory 4 of in all the top decks

why is no one bitching about Gideon?

that fucker is making one hell of a resurgence
>>
Anyone making U/R Spells? I'm hoping its gonna be as fun as it looks, but I'm not sure what I'm gonna finish with.
>>
>>50008481
Gideon requires 2WW for a chump blocker every turn, or a strictly worse Always Watching. Sometimes he turns into a 5/5 and gets exiled instead.

Looter Scooter just laughs at gideon, his tokens, his anthem, and steals wins if you don't have Fragmentize or Immolating Glare in hand for it's first swing.
>>
>>50008623
>Gideon is really easy to deal with guys, that's he's a 4 of in almost every deck running white

Bleesed Alliance, Natural State, Harnessed Lightning, Fiery Temper, Clip Wings, Spatial Contortion, Dynavolt Tower, and Grasp of Darkness also kill the smug copter.
>>
>>50008481

Because Gideon only goes into W based decks. Smug Copter goes into any colour deck that looks to turn many dudes sideways to win.
>>
dropping 4 metalwork collosus in one turn is the funnest thing in standard
>>
>>50010244
>Declaration in Stone>>50009193
>>
>>50007543

>the best standard meta since theros-tarkir
>multiple viable decks, there's even a combo deck in standard
>the format is garbage tier

Anon...
>>
RU Dynavolt Tower or RU Visions burn, /tg/?
>>
>>50011217
This desu

It's one of the more diverse standards

The top three decks are three distinct archetypes: Draw-go control, Weenie aggro and Midrange goodstuffs - and get this, among them, they run ALL colors in magic.

Among tier 2 decks there is burn and combo

There are viable decks that don't depend on creatures to win

Two out of three blocks present in Standard have an important mechanic that top competitive decks are built around (SOI - Delirium, KLD - Energy, there's nothing from BFZ unfortunately but that block was whack anyway).

Honestly if this is the benchmark for future standards then I'm all for this
>>
>>50011516

Moreover there are GOOD (good as not only "they can sometimes win" but actually good) budget lists that smack 4x gideon 4x copter decks (like R/G pummeler).
>>
>>50011516

Well technically the only thing from BFZ that gets played is Devoid
>>
>>50011578
There's a jank black-colorless Eldrazi deck but it's pretty shit
>>
File: giphy_1.gif (69KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
giphy_1.gif
69KB, 200x150px
>>50011516
>tfw I actually build around Equips matter and AllyRally and still manage to win

BfZ Block main Mechanic is Colorless cards and mana cost.
Which can work very well with Kaladesh cards. I honestly don't understand why people don't build around Ruination Guide, you guys are.missing out.
>>
>>50011588

I meant specifically the devoid goodstuff like Transgress the Mind and Kozilek's Return.
>>
>>50011655
Oh fair enough

But decks using those cards don't really utilise the colorlessness, they just happen to be colorless

Energy and Delirium get heavily utilised by decks running them
>>
>>50008623
>underselling Gideon
that whole god dam mechanic was a mistake
people getting sick of it may well be what kills the jacetice league
>it turns into a 5/5
ok a nice fancy effect
>its a plus one abilitu
ok that seems a bit op but its not hard to deal with it makes him pretty vulnerable so its a fair trade off
>it has indestructible
no big deal theres a card in standard that can deal lethal damage to indestructible creatures
>it cannot take damage

this leaves your only options as exile or a fucking -x -5

its a fucking bullshit card it was bad enough when it was a +0 ability but this is fucking insane
>>
>>50011674
im amazed at how useful energy turned out to be

when i first looked at the set i saw energy and thought it was going to be shit unless you managed to get one of the repeated sources going off reliably.
>>
>>49968610
This is actually pretty decent as far as art goes. While the other posters are right about it, they also didn't say anything about getting yourself out there. Try calling wizards (yeah, you can do stuff like that) and asking if they'll look at some of your art.
>>
>>50011842
Don't forget that it can just sit all day making tokens until the coast is clear to swing in.
And the exile effect has to be instant, and the only real playable instant speed exile is anguished unmaking. Dec in stone can't save you here.
>>
>>50011861

Energy is pretty useful but you know it's never going to show up again in a set outside of Kaladesh block.
>>
>>50011842
>it has indestructible
>it cannot take damage

It's actually the indestructible that's odd here. Damage prevention is needed, because if a 5/5 walker with 1 loyalty was blocked by a 1/1 it would die. It takes 1 damage, and as a walker when it takes damage removes 1 loyalty, then is removed as loyalty is 0.

But if damage prevention is needed, for that reason, why is he indestructible? it's to stop creature kill spells from working.
>>
>>50011650

>Ruination Guide
>a bad blue card
>build around card

I really wish I could play at your LGS.
>>
>>50011861

To tell the truth I also considered energy to be shit at first. I'm glad I was wrong this time.
>>
>>50013112
>It's actually the indestructible that's odd here. Damage prevention is needed, because if a 5/5 walker with 1 loyalty was blocked by a 1/1 it would die.

Anon your understanding of rules is lacking. Explain how the walker is supposed to die here? Until end of turn Gideon is a 5/5 creature, so when he gets blocked he's still 5/5 creature with 1 point of damage on it. Loyalty has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>50013509
>Is a 5/5 creature that's STILL A PLANESWALKER.
When planeswalkers take damage they lose loyalty counters and when they have no loyalty counters you put them in the graveyard.
It works exactly as that anon says. I can see now why the standard threads have died out, only retards remain.
>>
File: gitgud.png (130KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.png
130KB, 223x311px
>>50013813

You're the retard here anon. How can you be so bad at this game, holy shit sweet christ on cross made of dicks.

>+1: Until end of turn, Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker becomes a legendary 4/4 red Dragon creature with flying, indestructible, and haste. (He doesn't lose loyalty while he's not a planeswalker.)

Source:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386650

>implying it's any different for Gideon

Indestructibility only makes the cunt harder to remove.
>>
but yeah
Gideon is retarded

you either
A. Counter him (which honestly isn't completely unreasonable given 4x Dispel 4x Void Shatter 4x Scatter to the winds w/e lots of good counters in standard)
or
B. Anguish Unmaking/Blessed Alliance him
that's really about it
both of which have to be in white and one has to be white black

someone earlier also said that the worst case scenario for Gideon is that he becomes a shitty always watching. But the thing about the shitty always watching is that it is still a +1/+1 which can completely stop things like Radiant Flames/Weaver of Lightning/Lilly and protect all your cards. Hell have you guys had to deal with 3/4 Spell Quellers? it't not easy.

This on top of the fact that Gideon has spiked to $30 now is just pissing me off
I should have bought 4 copies when he was at $20
>>
>>50010441

i havent been seeing all that much dec in stone but yeah that blows it out good
>>
>>50014770

Never mind me. I just chocked on a bag of dicks. I completely disregarded the part of "still a planeswalker". I'm retarded. Brb I need a cup of bleach.
>>
>>50014770

how did you post a pic of gideon but not read him?

he says right there on the card that hes still a planeswalker, which is diff from sarkhan

wait....why am i replying to a troll?
>>
>>50008481
Gids is good mostly due to context of the format.

Removal is at its wonkiest these days due to Delirium pressuring for more strong Sorcery killspells behind the scenes, and that makes planeswalkers kinda really good right now.

It also makes UW Flash probably one of the most dangerous decks in the format because by design it styles all over anything playing at sorcery speed in a way that reminds one of Lorwyn Faeries.

Seriously I have a deep fear of getting clowned by Quellers, as someone who knows their way around UB Fae I know what the scent of bullshit smells like.
>>
>>49980777

I agree. The variety of deck builds that can be deemed powerhouses is pretty varied at the moment. Infinitely better than seeing who paid more money and/or got better draw luck in Bant CoCo mirror matches.
>>
File: 1472747277919.jpg (32KB, 609x609px) Image search: [Google]
1472747277919.jpg
32KB, 609x609px
>>49968610
It's nice but needs a lots and lots of details to be acceptable by WOC

I think that perspective is little bit wrong on mug and horns
>>
>>50011650
Because I would rather play BW Legends and build around Always Watching.
>>
File: butts.png (815KB, 1127x616px) Image search: [Google]
butts.png
815KB, 1127x616px
Any advice? Trying to break the mold a bit.
>>
>>50017870
Well you're looking to durdle, so what's your plan against Smug Cop decks like Boros and whatnot?

Because that kind of deck demands fierce durdling.
>>
>>50017958
It looks like Fragmentize, Select, Immolating Glare, and Negate all hit it. I don't think the copters themselves will be much of a problem, rather everything else.
>>
>>50017958
I have a ton of removal that can hit smuggy and I only need to survive long enough to slam summons usually. It's definitely not a great matchup though, and I really wish hydrolash and send to sleep didn't rotate.
>>
Is a Bant clues midrange deck at all viable?
>>
>>50017870

So it's a deck that's a free kill for anything Tier1?

UW flash just outvalue your shit
You're too slow for vehicles, G/B delirium and R/G.
BR just laughs at you killing amalgams and scrapheaps.
>>
>>50018022
I think you'd be better advantaged with your endgame revolving around Torrential Gearhulk, since it's instant speed value that you can flash in for max value. As far as brick walls go it's up there.
>>
>>50013444
Be my Guest, be another netdecker Spike in the line, you'll just be another one here.

>>50017377
Yeah, that makes sense. Not super original, but if that rows uour boat.
>>
File: 1475986379733.jpg (47KB, 700x568px) Image search: [Google]
1475986379733.jpg
47KB, 700x568px
>>50018427
As opposed to the summonings? I know fatcaster is better but I designed the deck for summonings.
>>50018276
Not at all. I'm definitely not too slow for either G/B delirium or R/G, and BR is actually a really easy matchup. I just need to stall them long enough to turn all my removals into 2-4-1s with summonings, then they lose the ability to do anything since that deck doesn't run deep-fiends
>>
>>50018543
I run a rather chunky build of RW, I feel even by the time you get Summonings up I can get into a position where Depala, Veteran Motorist and/or Copter are getting me draws that outpace your ability to keep my board in check.

To me the biggest threat isn't the 5cmc permanent that, if you untap with it, can fart out tokens. It'd be the, what, 5/6 Flash dude who eats one attacker, blows up another with a previously cast killspell, and then proceeds to make further combat steps kinda awkward.

Then again I'm one of the crazies eschewing Selfless Spirit and playing Fairgrounds Warden which kinda erases tokens and whatnot.

Still, without mana rocks to ramp into it early I don't quite like Summonings as an endgame due to its speed (or lack of).
>>
>>50018653
>Still, without mana rocks to ramp into it early I don't quite like Summonings as an endgame due to its speed (or lack of).
Yeah, that has definitely been the biggest hurdle in making the deck. It's tough too since I can't add too many things that aren't instants or sorceries. Not sure why they make summonings 5 cmc.
>>
>>50018677
Well in certain formats that kind of card can be stupid good, I'd consider it bomby in Limited for one.

It definitely feels properly costed, it just isn't going to do anything in a format with fast Copter decks if you can't ramp it out and meet fast aggression with going over top of them.

Incidentally we do have a 2cmc mana rock in the format. It's a bit janky in how it works but it could help out.
>>
>>50018540
>why would you want to win? Lol
>why wouldn't you want to pay a few hundred on a shitbrew that struggles at FNM so you can feel original?
>>
>>50018543
If you want a summonings deck look at the temur summonings list on MTGGoldfish for a good place to start.

But take the advice of someone whose best friend bought into summonings and has spent the last month trying to make it work, it's far more fragile than you're iving it credit for.
>>
>>49968610
Take LSD.

Push the values. Play with transparency and tonality.

Also never stop looking at artist's work and what think about what's making their work strong.

Think about energy and atmosphere

You're on your way m8.
>>
In UR Tower, are you just burning the opponent with the Tower effect? I feel like torrential gearhulk is expensive to put out just to bring back a fiery temper or an anticipate.
>>
>>50008808
>Bleesed Alliance, Natural State, Harnessed Lightning, Fiery Temper, Clip Wings, Spatial Contortion, Dynavolt Tower, and Grasp of Darkness also kill the smug copter.

Appetite for the Unnatural kills Black Lotus and the Moxen.

I don't mean to imply that meme copter is that level of power, but it's level of universal utility is damn close (for standard). Name two viable standard decks that could not benefit from having 4 copters. A card that goes in every deck is a badly designed card.
>>
>>50019428
I tried that deck, it's a lot worse then control versions with more removal.
>>
>>50020263
>lands are badly designed cards
>>
>>50020351
You're being pedantic.
>>
>>50020263
>name two decks
Jeskai or Grixis Control
GB Delirium
any of the Dynavolt Tower decks
any of the Marvel decks

does G/R energy use it?

there are plenty of decks in the format that don't use/don't want copter
>>
>>50020263
RG Energy and Jeskai Control don't run, but I'm just being cheeky now desu.

The point of that post wasn't to say Scooter is bad, far from it, I think it's every bit as good as people say it is. I more brought up the removal as a counter point to the person I was responding to who said Gideon was bad but attacking once with Scooter won you the game.
>>
>>50020272
Yeah my friend quickly went a harder control route, but he stuck in Bant.
>>
>>50020369
So you're arguing Island isn't the most OP card in the game?
>>
>>50020541
U is OP in every format but that's beside the point
>>
File: ayy.jpg (73KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
73KB, 540x304px
Could I get some feedback on this UB artifacts deck? I started out originally just trying to make a somewhat budget casual deck to play kitchen table, but I was wondering if there was a better way to approach the deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-10-16-ub-artifacts/
>>
>>50017870
why part the waterviel
>>
>>50021919
i dont know a lot about UB but it seems a little odd to only take 3 murder instead of 4
>>
what are the current ur decks.
anything spellslingy
>>
>>50018540

>constantly brag about your brew that does supposedly so good at your lgs
>never post the list so anons here can analyze it
>>
>>50023325
There's UR Dynavolt and UR Dredgefiend.

Dynavolt is very spell-slingy.
>>
>>50023325

You can still play termo-meme, it's kinda playable.
>>
im trying to decided if a deck with
4x Aethersquall Ancient
4x thing in the ice
4x crushing tentacles

would be brutal or shit

im leaning towards shit even if that much board wipe was worth it the cards get in each others way to much.
>>
>>50023494
yeah i think i will build something dyynavolt
i wanted to do something with brain in a jar but i cant really see any way to make it work in a deck i would enjoy

or maybe i should play a spirits deck i like u/w spirits
>>
>>50023560
Aethersquall + TiTi aren't awful together, but Crush has no place in a deck that doesn't get value from rebuilding its board multiple times.
>>
>>50023571
Give up on brain if you haven't already. It's an awful meme.
>>
>>50023630
yeah i have given up on it.

lets see im gonna want 4x insidious will
>>
>>50023660
You should really take a look at other decks running Dynavolt to get a sense of the spells they run.
>>
>>50023719
yeah thats probably a good idea
>>
>>50020263
UR spellslingy decks don't want the looter scooter because they don't have enough creatures to turn it on
>>
>>50024531
yeah especialy when wandering fumerole is allowing them to run even less creatures

its not not worth constantly paying to animate them every turn just for a vechile
>>
File: en_7imxJLicMd.png (175KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_7imxJLicMd.png
175KB, 265x370px
>>50023473
>just giving away a list that has been winning consistently so /tg/ who's bad a magic to shitpost about it

It is still fresh on my mind when you guys were bashing Nahiri's deck before SOI's Tournaments. You guys don't know shit about Deckbuilding.
I'm just here to encourage people to try new and interesting stuff. Every single idiot can copy a deck list, I know my opponents whole deck just from looking at their second land drop, It's like playing with AI.
>>
File: wolf token.jpg (23KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
wolf token.jpg
23KB, 200x285px
Newfag question

How many tokens you need to have?
>>
>>50025090
Two creature tokens of each creature that you can create, so you indicate with dice counters the ones tapped and untapped. You should have more if your deck is token oriented. 1 clue if you're able to produce them for yourself or you can make your opponent produce them, 2 if your deck does both.
>>
>>50024989
>I won't post my list because then everyone will know I'm talking out of my ass and have been shitposting for days

I must ask, to what end are you doing this? Post the fucking list, if we laugh it out of here then you can just go back to winning with it and laugh your way to the bank. You've literally nothing to lose.
>>
>>50025090
None. A) You can just represent them with a bunch of d6's, B) Established players usually carry around plenty, and you can mooch off your opponents until you build up a similar collection.
>>
>>50025150
Yeah, I've got nothing to lose. And nothing to win as well.
If you post your Equipped Allies build I can give some directions.
I'm shitposting from a cellphone, it would take ages to post my list here anyway.
>>
>>50024989

Nahiri is pretty bad at standard mate and nothing has changed in this department.

>I'm just here to encourage people to try new and interesting stuff.

So you encourage people to go 0-4 in case of a competitive LGS.

Magic isn't some kind of rocket science that needs extensive brain power. Most of the decks build themselves (especially in case of standard). If your special snowflake brew were that good then probably it would appear of GP/Pro Tour/Any SCG tournament. But sure, you found a secret that everyone (especially people who make money on playing this game) has missed.

I mean there can be some rogue decks that are good against local meta (like that one guy at my LGS who has some weird fog-ulamog deck. He does well as most of my local meta is made of RG/BG/WR agro). But if you try to play it at any bigger tournament you will end up crubstomped into the ground.
>>
>>50025481

I think he's a regular that posts how genius his shitbrews are while not providing decklists so people can't steal his ideas

I recall him from EMN threads when he hyped some sort of RB vampire shit
>>
>>50025481
I was taking about Nahiri in Modern, the joke about Standard general is that flip Jace was considered a bad card. More recently, Snapzord.
Nahiri can also do a lot in Standard, it's just not as strong without OG Emrakul.

I would gladly take my ass into a real Tournament, but I'm still not familiar with how GPs.and PPTQs work. I only play at.my LGs who is very high powered ( most of them play in GPs, some of them attend Pro Tour, one of the regulars got into the finals) and XMage.

>>50025498
I personally think that Vampires is a viable deck specially now that Languish is gone. It's hard to pilot and brew it. I've already chosen my deck to tweak, so I won't build it. You as shit player, naturally want to play a deck that is established and plays itself out, like UW Tempo or Dyna Tower control.
>>
>>50025498

The problem with allies is: they force you to play bad cards that are synergistic (sans whacker, he's actually good). Weapons trainer is borderline playable on its own (who am I kidding, we lack actually good equipment to make this card playable), but the rest of the creatures is pretty bad. I cannot find a reason why should I pick expedition envoy over toolcraft exemplar (or just a nerd ape) or stone haven outfitter/stoneforge acolyte instead of selfless spirit. The problems multiplies when you find out that most of the equipment-matters allies aren't humans, so you just can't cram in thalia's lieutenant and call it a day.

tl;dr

Allies are mostly individually bad and I find no reason to play them instead of goodstuff that works on its own.

Even fucking hanweir garrison powered just by a single thalia's lieutenant is a better value generator than an ally equipped with claws (especially considering joke-tier toughness on allies).
>>
>>50025481
>So you encourage people to go 0-4 in case of a competitive LGS.
My first FNM was last Friday. I went 0-3. I played a deck I built myself, and I had fun. If going 3-0 means playing an overpriced net-deck, then I'd rather lose and have fun.
>>
>>50025644
>GPs
You register for a GP while the registrations are stil open (until all slots are filled). Then you play games. That's it. If you have a lot of planeswalker points (which you get for participating in any events, mostly FNMs), you can get byes in first or second rounds of any GP you attend - 1300 for 1 or 2250 for 2 byes. As far as prizes go, if you've won any the organizer contacts you with details as to how to get it from them

>PPTQ

PPTQ events are organized by stores. If you win a PPTQ, you earn a right to attend a RPTQ for any pro tour in the current competitive season. If you top 4 a RPTQ or top 8 a GP, Wizards will pay for your flight ticket to the next Pro Tour. That's basically it.
>>
File: 1474748421327.jpg (359KB, 901x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1474748421327.jpg
359KB, 901x1280px
>>50025778
Hey, Thanks! I'll try to participate in one as soon as I can.
>>
>>50025090
Depends.

I usually set aside 5 token/emblem/etc cards to represent the at most 5 non-card resources I may end up creating or having to keep track of (example: RW Vehicles would want a Thopter token for Pia, a Knight Ally and Gideon emblem for Gids, an Energy reserve card for the rare chances Harnessed Lightning is charging up to snipe something larger than a x/3, and a Clue token for Thraben Investigator), and use dice to specify how many of each exist, how many are tapped vs untapped, etc.
>>
>GP Warsaw
>only cards from the battle block played are:
>Gideon
>Kalitas
>Stasis Snare
>Lands

SHIT BLOCK
H
I
T
>>
>>50026189
Linvala on stream right now you fucking nigger

Also, manlands
>>
File: Image.ashx.png (131KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.png
131KB, 223x311px
I bought toolkit and few booster packs
I think I will play black deck because I have the most cards. Please help me create deck with those cards, what singles to buy

Those are my black multiples:
Dead weight 4
Shamble back 4
Macabre waltz 2
Mind rot 2
Sinister concoction 2
Sanitarium skeleton 3
Tooth collector 3
Pale rider of trostad 3
Farbog revenant 2
Rottenheart ghoul 4
Ghoulcaller's accomplice 2
Vessel of malignity 3
Swarm surge 2

I hope those cards are not completely useless
>>
File: Image-1.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image-1.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>50027220
Yeah, unfortunately they are mostly useless. But it's a good place to start.

You should watch some matches online to check what playstyle or tribe suits you best.

Then build around it.
>>
>>49999604
Learn to recognize when a game has become unwinnable for you, and pay attention to time.

No, seriously - in my experience the single most aggravating rookie move is when the newbie does not recognize when to concede and plays every single game out even if their chances of actually winning have become unreasonably small, dragging match after match out to time and sometimes even resulting in really infuriating game-2 draws thanks to some random topdeck after going to turns. This is the surest way for a new player to earn the resentment of a more experienced one.

So yeah, learn to recognize situations where you can't win and move on to the next game ASAP.
>>
File: IMG_0730.jpg (1MB, 728x5184px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0730.jpg
1MB, 728x5184px
>>50025751
That's cute, I remember when I used to think that way.

Then I realized that A) actually having a chance to win is more fun than just constantly losing, and B) I shouldn't feel bad about using somebody else's decklist when chances are they have spent way, way more time and money on playtesting the objectively best strategies in each format than I have any interest in doing.
>>
>>50028154
magic is like a fighting game with hundreds of characters, and spikes only play Ryu
>>
>>50028290
Pretty crappy analogy senpai, especially for Standard. Any given rotation has maybe a couple dozen archetypes that are even remotely viable, and if you think you actually "discovered" any of them before either WotC's development team or Magic's large and extremely dedicated competitive community then you must be very, very new.
>>
>>49968610
One thing that takes art to the next level is proper use of the whitest whites and darkest blacks, highlighting and shading.
>>
>>50028290
>magic is like a fighting game

It is like Marvel in the sense that you can in theory beat anyone with any comp, but pros pick the best characters that they're good with.
>>
File: bobbyFrye_clueANI4_large.gif (108KB, 275x375px) Image search: [Google]
bobbyFrye_clueANI4_large.gif
108KB, 275x375px
>>50028290
Spikes are only fodder for actual good players to counter-deck. Remember Temur Emerge raping all those Collected Company decks? Or control beating up Vehicles, the Meta?
>>
>>50029021
those are very skilled johnnys, if they were spikes they would just mindlessly play their own cc/vehicles decks until they were good enough to beat other people playing the same decks

shouta is a huge johnny
>>
Is red/white Dwarves a thing?

I fucking love Dwarves.
>>
>>50029021
>>50028154
>>50028470

Desolator magic here, look at my super good, always winning, the best in the universe original brew that's gonna style on every netdecker in the first world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX3RPauK7h4

That's how you look in the eyes of other people, when you insist your "super secret broken brew" is better than decks build by pros who spent more time on testing their builds than you ever spent on playing this game.
>>
>>50029170
Plenty of RW Vehicle builds run 2-3x Depala and a handful of 1-2 drop Dwarves, which is likely as close as you're going to get
>>
>>50029170

It's a top deck in standard anon, but it comes at a price of 4 gideons and 4 smug copters.
>>
>>50029383
> 4 Gideons
I have never seen a single list that ran more than 2.
>>
>>50028290
EDH is literally the "items on" of Magic formats, if you want to play wacky homebrew so bad go there. 1v1 Constructed is strictly For Glory.
>>
>>50029631

>http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpwar16/top-8-decks-2016-10-30

You called? Unless you exclusively thought of dorfs. Then yea, probably 2 giddyups is all you need.
>>
File: Narset-MtG-Art.jpg (85KB, 1262x922px) Image search: [Google]
Narset-MtG-Art.jpg
85KB, 1262x922px
>>50029670
>edh
>not for spikes only
edh is a circle of hell for mtg players
>>
>>50029170
RW Vehicles carries a dorf subtheme.

It's pretty cool.
>>
>>50028290
Ryu has never been top tier in Street Fighter though. He's always been above average, but never actually good. Ken would be a better example. Top tier in SF3/4/5.
>>
>>50030551
Really? Why is he on all the art?
>>
>>50030633
Face of the game.

That said I believe Daigo mained Roo for the most part in 4-era.
>>
>>50030551
>>50031210
Is it because of the Special?
Shoryureppa does look harder to avoid.
>>
>>50029670
EDH and French EDH are SmashU, EDH is for fun and French EDH is for glory

Vintage is SFII Turbo

Legacy is SF3 3rd Strike

Modern is UMvC3

Standard is SFV/Whatever the latest SF is
>>
>>50031340
Ken and Ryu happen to both have solid movesets. Their fireballs pressure you to approach or else just take chip damage until you die, their dragon punches shoot you out of the air, etc.

Ken used to be so solid back in vanilla 4 you could follow a flowchart and win with him, his shoryuken was so good that often your best choice would be to just throw it out there since it'd likely trump any other attack (shoryuken historically has invincibility on early frames).

You don't really pick characters for their meter specials, they're role players but not the bread and butter that comes from normal attacks and input specials.
>>
>>50030551
Right now Ryu might be the best tho. Chun Li can compete but i would still say Ryu is better.
>>
BR-Zombies in Standard.
Can it work? I think so :V
>>
>>50031983
There are red zombies?
>>
>>50031882

I'm pretty sure the tier lists agree that chun li is the best tho
>>
File: CatharticReunion.png (134KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
CatharticReunion.png
134KB, 223x311px
>>50031983
You're probably better off going Grixis.
You get acess to Madness for Fiery Temper and discard outlets for Prized Amalgam and Haunted Dead.
Geralf's Masterpiece and Cryptbreaker to fuel it.

Mana fixing should be alright using Checklands along with Tangos.
>>
What is your favorite deck to play right now?
What is your least favorite to play against?
What is your favorite card in kaladesh?
What is your least favorite card in kaladesh
What is the card you can't wait to burn when rotation starts
>>
>>50031983
It's already a top meta deck, check MTGGoldfish

>>50032507
Absolutely not, running blue so you can cast the amalgams you never want to hard cast anyway is not worth the objectively inferior mana base in an aggro deck.
>>
>>50032631
This, you're cheating those amalgams out at all times, casting them legit is a sign you fucked up.
>>
>>50032610
>Favorite
I'm liking GB Delirium, too bad I refuse to spend $160 on playset of Lilis
>Least Favorite
I hate playing against UW Flash
>Favorite Kaladesh
Noxious Gearhulk
>Least Favorite Kaladesh
Torrential Gearhulk
>Cards I can't wait to see rotate
Spell Queller, Liliana, and Gideon. The sooner $100+ playsets necesaary for certain colors leave the better, and fuck Spell Queller
>>
>>50032716
There's always a high cost playlist out there.

If Copter doesn't get kept in check well enough that'll break the bank due to fitting into nearly anything.
>>
>>50032631
>>50032691

Geralf's Masterpiece is a great finnisher. And yeah, hard casting means things have fucked up, but sometimes you happen to not have drawn into a discard outlet.
>>
>>50032761
Copter's actually leveled off, and started a small decline. Since it's just a rare I don't think it'll go much higher than it is, unless it starts seeing play in other formats.
>>
>>50032765
I'd rather run Voldaren Pariah.
>>
>>50032798
Well it should help that Kaladesh is opened quite a lot.

A lot of the rares are cheap but Copter had demand on its side as well.

>tfw doing my part to lower the cost of cards by regularly participating in draft

Triple KLD is thankfully a whole lot of fun, I've yet to get tired of it despite being terrible at drafting in general.
>>
Looking to get back into magic standard after not playing since dragons was new. Should I just by a singles deck I find that is cheap on tapped out, or should I try to build my own deck? I had an idea for a mono white deck to deal with all the artifacts, something built upon life gain. Is it a good time to come back? I have some good local stores too.
>>
>>50029170
play mardu dorfs. give you access to scrapheap and unlicensed disintegration.
>>
>>50032870
Now is a pretty good time to come back we've got all of the archetypes represented in an at least tier 2 deck, meta is pretty diverse too.

As for buying a deck you should really check out what other people are winning with and find something you like. Just buying something from Tappedout probably isn't a great idea, most of those decks are just shitbrews with little testing.
>>
I don't know dick about magic besides a bunch of the teminology from playing other card games like Hearthstone and Yugioh.

Wastes as a land type got me interested in the game. Is there any decent deck that uses that? I've heard Eldrazi are a decent colorless deck and apparently something one of my friends hates but they seem to not use Wastes in any of the lists I can find except as a counter to some card that converts nonbasic lands to mountains.
>>
>>50032879
Mana is jankier though.

It's a tradeoff, you gain some damn good stuff for your troubles, but plain Boros Vehicles is a streamlined beast as is and won't stumble anywhere near as much as Mardu will.
>>
>>50032920
Wastes technically aren't a land type, but a basic land (read: can run as many copies as you want) -lacking a basic land type- (read: implicitly taps for colorless mana).

Also your friend sounds like he's playing a Modern deck what with you describing the effect of the card Blood Moon. Eldrazi is pretty good in that format but for some rather convoluted reasons that might be a bit hard to explain to someone new to the game, not to mention Modern is not a good starting point for new players due to the sheer clusterfuck that format can be t times.
>>
File: CYNpZ1qVAAAS964.jpg (24KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
CYNpZ1qVAAAS964.jpg
24KB, 223x311px
>>50032920
Probably a green/red/colorless ramp/fog deck would make use of it.
>>
>>50032982
Wait, correction:

Wastes doesn't tap for colorless because it has no types, it taps for that because the Oracle text (read: the official "what this card should say in its text box" statement) spells out its activated ability: "tap: add 1 colorless to your mana pool."

The actual cards don't have text printed on them but they are understood to technically read like that if they had been printed with text on them in the style of old basic lands from years back.
>>
>>50032910
I had a red always wins deck liked from top8. Should I look there again? I know red always wins is gone, but it could hurt to see what works at a good price.
>>
>>50032982
My friend isn't the one playing Blood Moon, I'm saying the lists I've found online for Eldrazi don't play wastes except as a counter to Blood Moon. My friend hates Eldrazi for unknown reasons and doesn't play anything specifically against them.

For the sake of things I would be building for standard as a starting point because I figure modern would give me less excuse to run more expensive cards.
>>
>>50033143
OK so as a learning experience I think the Magic Duels game targets people new to it, there's also those Planeswalker intro decks that target new players.

After you know your way around the game, you might want to get your feet wet in game theory (there's some good reads that'll help you understand why people play such and such and not so and so) and follow event coverage to observe how decks play against each other.

Or you can disregard all this, slap together a deck based around a set theme, and go to town.

Also to get a feel of a format and build up an initial collection that could turn into a standard deck, I'd actually recommend participating in Drafts if you have a game store nearby.

I know it's not as useful as "here's a deck, now have fun," but that's my advice.
>>
>>50033217
I mean, I get the concepts of the game. I regularly play other card games at my card shop, things like tempo, card advantage, and things like that are things I've already picked up and seem to apply to most card/board games. I've done a couple drafts too, but none of that exactly gets me a deck.

I've been told specifically not to get the intro decks due to the imbalance between the two and how inconsistently the decks would work in general with only 1-2 copies of most cards.

For now though, I'd just like a push in the direction of a decent constructed deck to use while I pick up on the other things. With most games, there's not much value in watching tournaments where I don't know what 90% of the cards do. I'd rather have something to experience playing against those cards myself at my LGS, even if I know I'll lose against them.
>>
>>49968226
I'm running an Esper planeswalkers deck, it's absolute gas. Feels likes it's got great game against everything but I haven't played against B/G delirium yet. Aetherworks marvel is the only scary deck when, have to play really well against it.
>>
>>50033292
Well, Red White vehicles is rather low cost (for a certain meaning of low cost) and has a lot of fun quirks to it to learn. On the surface it looks like a deck that just turns things sideways but as the game goes long it can threaten to grind out long term advantage.
>>
>>50033358
Also various websites tend to run video series where a content contributor plays a deck online through MTGO and talks viewers through their decision making process. They make very good resources for getting into the mind of the different decks being played out there across the formats.

I'll plug ChannelFireball.com since their content isn't behind a paywall and the contributors are part of the professional circuit.
>>
>>49968226
I have a fresh new guilty pleasure in standard.

Lost Legacy and Eternal Scourge.
Play a playset of Eternal Scourge in your deck and cast Lost Legacy, naming Eternal Scourge. Not only do you draw four cards and shuffle your library, but you also get all four Scourges on standby for casting. It's the most fun thing I have found to do in standard, and it's a surprisingly effective combo. Scourge is the most persistent little faggot I have ever seen and I love it.
>>
>>50033488
Slight nonbo, you ain't drawing cards unless you had those scourges in hand.

Otherwise sure whatever you made yourself a Squadron Hawks play, I guess that's a resource advantage in its own right. Would consider at next FNM.
>>
File: IMG_2994.png (574KB, 480x700px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2994.png
574KB, 480x700px
>>
>>50033532
God damn it, I missed that bit. It's kind of a shitty combo now. Fun, but shittier.
>>
>>50033622
Now, to be fair I think it could have a place somewhere.

It's jank as fuck and not as good a late game grind as other better established plays, but every Lost Legacy resets your Scourges that have yet to see play.

So if you don't mind being slow and glacial and fielding 3/3's at a plodding pace, it seems orders more capable than most janky brews.

It's just going to look flaccid compared to "oops here's Ishkanah and her spider babies."
>>
File: 1328425078009.png (220KB, 800x971px) Image search: [Google]
1328425078009.png
220KB, 800x971px
>>50033575
>>
>>50029744
Edh us where you get to use all those fun blue enchantments you could never make work in a normal deck.

There are a lot of those in standard right now.
>>
>>50032610
>What is your favorite deck to play right now
I am auctualy having a lot of trouble thinking of what to build this standard.
>What is your least favorite to play against?
I dont really have any decks i am against but fuck gideon.
I guess if i had to pick a deck i would say eldrazi because of all the on cast abilitys instead of enters the battlefield but i would not say i outright dislike playing against it just forces me to switch up my tactics and gives me a good challenge.
>What is your favorite card in kaladesh?
Insidious will
>What is your least favorite card in kaladesh
Consulate skygate it would have been so flavorful to make it a 0/6 but have it only block creatures with flying.
>What is the card you can't wait to burn when rotation starts
>burning cards

Why would you ever destroy a card.
>>
>>50033292
At least the intro decks aren't quite as shit as they used to be.

I auctualy buy one every set just o
To build on it its the only time i really have fun deckbuilding its just a chore otherwise.
>>
>>50032920
Wastes are generaly a poor choice as there are plenty of other lands that can produce colorless with extra bonus effects.

Why the fuck wizards thought it was a good idea to require you to draft them in sealed i do not know.

But yeah its only eldrazi that use them.
>>
File: 1453916924467.jpg (466KB, 1680x1596px) Image search: [Google]
1453916924467.jpg
466KB, 1680x1596px
>>49968226
Standard is a money sink

Card Evaluation (long term):
>Standard (Short): Spikes
>Standard (Long): Loss of 70% value

ONLY 1-2 CARD ON AVERAGE SEES PROMOTION INTO MODERN / LEGACY / AND VINTAGE STAPLE STATUS.
>>
>>50035618
Most vintage staples at common and uncommon aren't generally that expensive unless they are foil and even then not that much
>>
>>50032610
>favorite deck
My Esper walkers Control deck, fun as hell and wrecks other control decks
>least favourite to play against
I dunno? I played against a Jund deck that had a bunch of indestructible effects that was pretty annoying
>favourite card
Kambal, he's so cool and he's sweet in my legacy SB
>least favourite card
ninth bridge patrol, everytime my friends cast it in limited they always say "I play (my name) because I'm kinda short
>cards to burn
None
>>
File: 1349494439884.jpg (24KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1349494439884.jpg
24KB, 413x395px
>>50035795
>ninth bridge patrol, everytime my friends cast it in limited they always say "I play (my name) because I'm kinda short
>>
>>50035881
Fuck you I'm 1/2 inch below the national average and all my friends are fucking giants
>>
File: 2kthgsoi.png (88KB, 319x295px) Image search: [Google]
2kthgsoi.png
88KB, 319x295px
>>50036210
Relax man, no need to have such a short tempter.
>>
So is anybody using the planeswalker deck walkers in there decks I auctualy kind of like nissa natures artisan more then the other nissa.
>>
>>50035301
>Why the fuck wizards thought it was a good idea to require you to draft them in sealed i do not know.

The alternative was to spend X dollars providing every single store with free Wastes
>>
>>50036504
So like 5$ a store tops
>>
>>50036488
They have not appeared in a deck which MTGGoldfish has data on. So it's not unreasonable to say no one is running them competitively. The problem woth Nature's Artisan is that she does nothing to improve your board. She gains you some life and then if you've already got a board she turns into an overrun after a few turns.
>>
>>50037312
yeah thinking about it i think i only like her because my local meta does not have a lot of hard hitting its mostly minor chiping away at hp.
otherwise it would not be such a good choic
>>
I feel like lone rider should be getting more love, i shoved him into my friend's bant humans and between blessed alliance, heron's grace champion, thalia's lieutenant and various pump spells he seems very easy to flip by turn 3 or 4 reliably, plus any counters on him stay. Is a 1/1 for CMC2 just that unplayable?
>>
>>50037625
Unplayable
>>
>>50037625
i think its very playable
i would almost play it for just the first strike and lifelink alone
>>
>>50037787
Unplayable.

Very few x/1 creatures in the format for 1/1 first strike to be a thing of value, and there's a plethora of removal, especially for one damage that will guarantee that fucker never flips.
>>
>>50037852
yeah in hindsight your right
still in some other standard it could have been great
>>
>>50036488

>I like horrible Nissa more than playable Nissa

What's wrong with you anon?
>>
it amuses me that you can currently have an effective 16 nissa or chandra in a standard deck right now
i would not auctualy do it as its to many dead cards sitting in your hand but its funny to think about.
>>
>>50037625
It's good, but it needs support and it dosen't afftect the board once it lands like Thalia's Liutenant. He is like the new Olivia for the RB Vampires. Amazing, but it probably rings: "No way I'll let this thing live more than a turn" on your opponent's mind.
>>
>>50038425
24 nissas or chandras
>>
>>50038533
4x nissa natures artisan
4x nissa vital force
4x nissa voice of zendikar
4x verdant cresendo
am i missing something
>>
>>50011494
UR Dynavolt. Shit is actually fun, assuming you remember all your triggers. Side in perpetual timepiece to say fuck you to fragmentize, and rise from the tides as an alt wincon.
>>
>>50038626
attune with aether
>>
>>50028154
>actually having a chance to win is more fun than just constantly losing
MTG is so draw dependent that (almost) anything has a chance of winning.

>they have spent way, way more time and money on playtesting the objectively best strategies in each format than I have any interest in doing.
Did they test which strategies I would personally enjoy piloting the most?

>>50028290
If MTG is like a fighting game, then I'm the guy who sticks with the character they like playing as, instead of the guy who plays whoever EventHubs lists as top tier.

>>50029670
>>50031478
Smash is not a fighting game. It's a multiplayer beat-em-up.

>>50032610
>What is your least favorite card in kaladesh
>What is the card you can't wait to burn when rotation starts
Meme Copter

>>50038425
Isn't there a card in vintage or legacy that turns the legends rule off?
>>
>>50039167
Mirror Gallery, but it doesn't work with Planeswalkers.
>>
>>50039190
>Mirror Gallery, but it doesn't work with Planeswalkers.
Fuck, I forgot Planeswalkers aren't legends, they just have a different rule that functions identically to how legends work.
>>
Best budgets decks right now? Also is the copter the new cancer in standard?
>>
>>50039206
Sorta kinda yes but technically Planeswalkers check their subtype whereas legendaries check their card name.

But that's just being nitpicky on my part.
>>
>>50039227
MonoU Water Tower Storm is cheap as fuck, though you need a very good sideboard to not get fucked by Lost Legacy and the likes
>>
File: Syndicate Trafficke.png (176KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
Syndicate Trafficke.png
176KB, 265x370px
What else would you use in a deck built around pic related? The obvious Tireless Tracker pairing comes to mind, but I feel like I could do more with the sacc ability (Zulaport Cutthroat?)
>>
>>50040555
Esper with thraben inspectors and paradoxical outcomes

Just kidding it's shit either way, but that's what first came to mind
>>
>>50040555
I'd wait for Aether Revolt with the hope that Affinity 2.0 becomes a reality.

It's not quite Arcbound Ravager but it has resemblance.
>>
>>50040126
Got a link? With phone right now and it's a pain trying to search a deck list
>>
>>50038931
Dynavolt is hot garbage.
>>50039167
>If MTG is like a fighting game, then I'm the guy who sticks with the character they like playing as, instead of the guy who plays whoever EventHubs lists as top tier.
Then you're playing the game right.
>>
>>50039227
>Also is the copter the new cancer in standard?
Short Answer: Yes
Long Answer: It's a very good card, that needs no colored mana to cast, and benefits (almost) every deck, making its inclusion (almost) mandatory for top tier competitive decks.
>>
File: IMG_0740.jpg (103KB, 2190x930px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0740.jpg
103KB, 2190x930px
>>50039167
>MTG is so draw dependent that (almost) anything has a chance of winning.
> I-it's all luck anyway guys
> That's why my amazing homebrew deck went 0-4
>>
what do you guys think about B/R aggro, can it compete in the meta?
>>
File: IMG-20161031-WA0015.jpg (52KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161031-WA0015.jpg
52KB, 312x445px
>>50041888
Yeah, man. Every flavor of Red is viable in this Standard.
RB Vehicles, RG Energy Agro, RW Vehicles, RB Visions.
>>
>>50042057
>RU Visions
Fixing.
>>
File: 1470211476692.png (357KB, 397x402px) Image search: [Google]
1470211476692.png
357KB, 397x402px
>>50039167
>MTG is so draw dependent that (almost) anything has a chance of winning.

>all the card filtering and scry effects in standard

You haven't been playing this game for long, have you anon?
>>
>>50041325
My homebrew deck isn't amazing though. I never claimed it was. Only that I had fun playing it.

>>50042650
A chance does not mean good odds. It means any odds at all.
>>
>>50042678
So, not only do you not know about the game, you also don't know about statistics.

Do you know why there are three matches in a round? Its not because there is anything sacred about "best 2 out of 3". It reduces variance. In other words, the more games you play, the closer the overall result will be to the average. While this means that, yes, sometimes you will lose to a worse player/deck because of bad draws, overall better players and better decks will win more.
>>
>>50042748
Correction: My original comment should have been phrased more specifically; "a chance of winning a game". If you read "winning" as "winning FNM" then the chance is practically non-existent.
>>
>>50042801
>If you read "winning" as "winning FNM" then the chance is practically non-existent.
>wat is statistics
>>
>>50037625
The only board it can attack into is a single Selfless Spirit. It's really bad.
>>
>>50041888
It depends what you mean by RB Aggro. If you're trying to make vampires work, don't, they're still trash. However, there are multiple other RB Aggro decks that work very well.
>>
>>50041888
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/501796
>>
>>50043813
nerd ape, scraphead scounger, pia, copter?
>>
>>50043942
Something along those lines, yeah.
>>
>>50039093
Attune with aether is a very good card but its not a nissa planeswalker or card that tutors for one.
And besides that only accounts for nissa not chandra.

I suppose if you have black in your deck you can use that tutor for an extra 4.
>>
>>50039227
Copter is omnipresent with pretty much just u/r spellslinger decks not having it but the cancer is still gideon.
>>
>>50042057
I miss guays art
Dont get me wrong i like the photorealistic stuff but having it on every card is to much throw a bit of variety at it.

Funnily enough i cant auctualy decide if >>49968610 would be better off in the house style or not. Im leaning towards they would both be about the same but it would be better to have that one for a bit of variety.
>>
>>50046899
Bitch please he's just a better Elspeth Knight-Errant.

Elspeth KE hasn't been the best walker in a format for years.
>>
>>50032610
>Favorite
U/R Dynavolt
>Least favorite
W/R Aggro
>Favorite Card
Glimmer of Genius
>Least Favorite Card
Looter Scooter
>Rotate
Selfless Spirit
>>
>>50023287
>>50021919

I figured die young precluded the need for all 4.
>>
>>50039206
well not quite identically
you can have 2 different avacyn cards out if they have difrent names but you can only have 1 jace card out whatever the name
>>
File: gaurdian of the great conduit.png (131KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
gaurdian of the great conduit.png
131KB, 223x311px
>>50036488
a better question is is anybody who is playing the normal nissas and chandras using the creatures they boost.

the tutors in those decks can only fetch that specific card but the creatures get boosted by any planeswalker with that type

at the very least this means that if we are stuck with the jacetice league it wont take long to have a boosted creature for each of them.
>>
>>50049628
fair enough i really dont know the deck well enough to say if you are correct or not
>>
>>50049628
This a far from perfect way to think about it, but it's how I try to when first building a deck: 4 ofs are cards I want to see in my opening hand, 3 ofs are cards I want at least 1 of every game, 2 ofs are cards that are situational or dead as multiples, and 1 ofs are fringe cards that have great situational value but don't synergize enough with my deck to have more than one.

Obviously if half of your deck draws or filters the numbers change, but this thought process hasn't failed me too hard so far.
>>
yo quick question for U/W flash players

how do you feel when Weaver of Lightning is played against you?

does it hinder you at all?

is there some other card (besides Ishkanah) that you generally don't like to see played against you?

you have your own Gideon but my guess is that you aren't too afraid of Gideon being played against you due to no flying/reach and the fact that spell queller kinda takes a fat dump on him

trying to work out the side board for one of my decks
>>
>>50049074
I've seen saffronolive play dynavolt, and it looks just awful. What am I missing?
>>
>>50050598
lightning bolts
>>
>>50050598
Maybe he was playing a shit version? The Jeskai version is basically just Jeskai control but with some dynavolts in it. It works pretty dang well
>>
>>50047591
do do you think its the token generation that makes Gideon good
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.