[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 412
Thread images: 27

File: Giant Throne.jpg (287KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Giant Throne.jpg
287KB, 1275x1650px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Last Session:
>>49949883

Thread Question:

When Volo's Guide to Monsters comes out, are you going to do your part and take pictures of all of the new races for us?
>>
Dwarves can have 3 strength, and 4e was a work of art.
>>
File: Druid PvP.jpg (68KB, 345x395px) Image search: [Google]
Druid PvP.jpg
68KB, 345x395px
>>49954110
>When Volo's Guide to Monsters comes out, are you going to do your part and take pictures of all of the new races for us?

Nope, I'm going to sit here and bitch at people for not posting mega links because I'm too cheap to pay for it
>>
Anons? I got a problem that maybe y'all can help me with. Couple of problems, actually.

Firstly, I just saw a thread on a homebrewed 5e Samurai class and... well, is there something wrong with me that my first thought about it was "what's the point"? I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but to me, it seems like the Samurai doesn't have anything you couldn't get if you just reflavored a Banneret or Battlemaster Fighter, or maybe an Oath of the Crown Paladin. At best I think you got a subclass for Monks in it, and that's only because I remember the Kensai fighter kit from Baldur's Gate II, and Monk's Iron Soul (weapon master) style and Soaring Blade (wuxia fighter) paragon path in 4e.

By the way, was Kensai actually an AD&D kit?

Second question; as someone who likes kobolds and wants to give them a place in his own setting, do you think Pathfinder's Kobold Bloodline for Sorcerers could be converted to work under the 5e Sorcerer subclass mechanics?

Link for reference: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/racial-bloodlines/kobold-bloodline-sorcerer-kobold

Finally, in a setting where humanity's official "hat", ala dwarves are toughs, elves are graceful, orcs are ferocious, etc, is "humans can breed with anything", does it make sense that human PCs could take a race-based Sorcerous Origin? Like, the aforementioned Kobold Bloodline Sorcerer - would human sorcerers with that Origin make sense in a world where they could actually have a kobold parent or ancestor?
>>
Can someone double check (or guess at) the math on this, and if it seems feasible?

The ranger in our party (9th level, +2 arrows, FE Beast, Colossus Slayer) opened up a round of combat against a giant octopus for 49 points of damage, and he consistently does about 40ish on average, and has a +11 to hit (19 Dex).

Does that sound right?
>>
>>49954110
I'm gonna buy it and only type it out so everyone doubts everything I'll say.

When they start believing me I'll actually throw in small things that aren't true.
>>
>>49954208
That last thing seems unnecessary, sorc bloodlines are often "granddad was a dragon/fae/whatever", no need to restrict it to humans only
>>
>>49954226
Proficiency bonus is 4, dex mod is 4, he would have to have a +3 magic weapon to get +11 to hit. Which is pretty unusual for level 9.
>>
first time posting here, just started a new run and i'm playing a bard (soon to become lore) in a party with a barbarian, a fighter, a monk and two warlocks, and i have in mind an utility set with a mix of social tools and non combat magic.

what are some good spells to pick and what are some good magical secrets to go with it?
i don't really plan on being the group's healer and the dm assured me that i need not worry about that, and i feel like the rest of the party can put enough damage on board, so i just want to maximize my support/utility kit.

i'm a lightfoot halfling for rp reasons and kind of fucked my chances of multiclassing cleric or wizard with the stat array i picked, but my background kinds of plays into a pseudo-rogue pretending to be a wizard but it's actually just a crazy bard.

>current spells
http://hardcodex.ru/bard/?cards=c2c7b9,c367f8,c119bc,ce21b4,c01f48,c470d0,c65fa2,
>other things i'm considering/could switch into
http://hardcodex.ru/bard/?cards=c2d6d9,c41917,c7e5cd
>>
>>49954246
The fact you ignored "+2 arrows" proves you didn't even read the post, try again
>>
>>49954226
Seems like he should have a total +10 to hit, can't tell you about the damage.
Does he have a +1 weapon you've forgotten or anything?
>>
>>49954272
No. How about you try the first time?

Besides, that still doesn't add up.
>>
>>49954208
>Samurai
Literally just needs to play a reflavored paladin or battlemaster.

>kensai
no idea.

>Kobold bloodline
I, uh, wouldn't. Seems like a lot of work for something that shouldn't be; most sources of bloodlines are mysterious, powerful, ancient- some combination of the three. Kobolds... ergh. They don't fit any of those.

Lastly, race restrictions suck, don't play with them.
>>
>>49954313
Yes but it does mean he'd only need a +1 weapon, which is way more likely for a level 9, you ass.
>>
>>49954110
>Thread Question:
no
>>
>>49954325
You're the one who snapped, you lazy faggot. Take care of your own damn house before asking or calling out others. I bet you unironically like the champion fighter class.
>>
File: Crossbow clubbing.png (2MB, 1294x732px) Image search: [Google]
Crossbow clubbing.png
2MB, 1294x732px
>>49954068
That's the DM being a bitch, though.

>>49954076
Nothing in the PHB errata about any of it. Feel free to find evidence otherwise.

>>49954109
Only mountain dwarfs get +2 strength.
>>
>>49954226
Dex 4, PB 4, Arrows 2, and Archery fighting style 2. He should have a +12 to-hit.

Assuming a longbow, sharpshooter, and hunter's mark (and revised ranger):

1d8 weapon + 4 dex + 10 sharpshooter + 4 favored enemy + 2 arrow + 1d6 hunter's mark, twice, + 1d8 colossus slayer

2d6 + 3d8 + 40 = ~60.5 average damage, at +7 to-hit.

Remove sharpshooter and that's ~40.5 average damage at +12 to-hit.
>>
>>49954226
+4 from dex, +4 from proficiency, +2 from archery, +2 from arrows.

Shouldn't they have +12 to hit?

Tell the ranger they're rolling too low.
>>
>>49954325
>>49954313
>>49954297
>>49954272
>>49954246

Hmmm, he has a Masterwork Bow (which I dictated as bypassing magical weapon resistance).....but I think he might have put that down as a Masterwork in the +1 sense.
>>
>>49954226
2 Longbow attacks - 2d8+8
Colossus Slayer - d8
Favored Enemy - +4

Doing nothing fancy that's in the 20s for damage.

To hit should be [4(Dex)+4(Prof)+2(Arrows)+2Archery Fighting Style] 12, so nope that is double wrong.

If they are arrows of slaying the damage could be in the 40s, but unless he is sharpshooting or homebrew or sneak attack then he shouldn't be getting those numbers.
>>
>>49954349
>you're the one who snapped
lol what
Do you think I was the guy posting the question?
I'm >>49954297, don't blame me for your illiteracy
>>
>>49954354
Yes, truly this is how the designers intended this to work.
>>
>>49954376
Yeah seeing as Masterwork isn't in the books this edition I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened. As >>49954378 says does he have Archery FS?
>>
>>49954383
Why but into a conversation you're not being insulted in to defend the insulter you ass?

Again, this is champion fighter enthusiast behavior, so kindly fuck off.
>>
>>49954415
I believe so. Reason I don't just ask him is because I'm at work, and I'd rather wait till I can see his info first hand (which he keeps on a character sheet tracking app).

So the consensus is his damage is high, but his to hit may still be too low?
>>
>>49954378
You forgot Hunter's Mark.
Also doesn't favored enemy damage add itself to each instance? I think Colossus Slayer gets the +2 bonus as well.
>>
>>49954404
It's what it's, you retardo
>>
>>49954433
This is the weirdest strawmanning I've ever seen.
No, I don't like Champion Fighter. Even if I did I'm a foreverDM so I wouldn't play one.

>>49954439
Seems like it.
>>
>>49954433
>>49954457
Oh, and I butted in because you were being smug and also incorrect, not even bothering to read the post you were being condescending towards, which is pretty retarded in my opinion.
>>
the shitposting started fast this go-round.
>>
>>49954441
Like I said nothing fancy. And of course not, Favored Enemy procs on weapon attacks. +2 for colossus slayer is silly.

If he's using hunters mark then it's gonna be high 20s low thirties as well.
>>
>>49954226
Also

1d8 colossus slayer
2d6 hunter's mark
2d8+8 longbow
Possibly +4 or +8 if UA ranger revised
+4 from arrows

33 damage if both attacks hit on average, 37 if they get +2 from revised ranger or 41 if they get +4 from greater favoured enemy revised ranger.
>>
>>49954469
I was being rude, not smug, because the guy asking for a charity rules audit was a smarmy cunt when I made an innocent mistake.

regardless, please adopt a trip, I wish to filter you.
>>
>>49954404
I'll admit it's certainly not RAI, but it's not broken and will probably make for a stupid one-shot character sometime.
>>
>>49954354
You're going against RAI to abuse a feat that's intended for long range instead of close combat.

Either you break your weapon often, or the feats don't stack.
>>
>>49954499
Jeremy disagrees
>>
>>49954495
Ooh, what an important disctinction, you be being a dickhead, NOT a shithead.
It's really not hard to not be a cunt when someone has a rules question - if you aren't even going to read the post, why bother typing an answer?
>>
>>49954354
>Bottom middle highlight
Right, so you treat it as an improvised weapon and not a ranged weapon, so not an attack with a ranged weapon.
Still heavy, but so is a halfling if you wield one.
>>
File: steins bait.png (37KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
steins bait.png
37KB, 625x626px
>>49954495
>charity rules audit
...it's a 5e thread
>>
>>49954537
There isn't any clause of the feats not stacking, since they're neither of the same name nor spells.
If you're playing a light-hearted one-off and make an underpowered '6 strength fighter who clubs everybody with a crossbow' or 'a rogue with shit dex that goes around using strength to club people with crossbows' then your DM would be a dick to have your weapon break over and over again because reasons.

>>49954539
I disagree with Jeremy.

>>49954574
All weapons are classified as either melee or ranged. 'Improvised' cannot overwrite its ranged quality.
>>
File: 1466365846681.jpg (116KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466365846681.jpg
116KB, 1280x720px
>>49954618
>I disagree with Jeremy
...but you're not the game designer
>>
>>49954561
I wasn't a dick when I was answering the rules question. I was only a dick after he told me to try again. Fucking champion fighter enthusiasts man, are you all this dense?

>>49954593
Doesn't excuse being rude to those helping you. This is also a 4chan thread.
>>
>>49954636
I'll be the game designer once I come to them with my brilliant ideas.

A class that revolves around giving demons sexual favours in return for an occasional spell slot, and has an option for melee combat that is completely nonsensical.
>>
>>49954674
Are you sure you're not on the team already?
>>
>>49954439
Nope, his damage seems about right. If he gets the +4 from the new UA ranger, then he should be doing about 3d8 (13) + 2d6 (7) + 20 with his two attacks. So yeah, 40 damage on average.
>>
>>49954681
Or, instead of the ability that allows them to take a full action to take their weapon out instead of an object interaction, they can choose an option which allows them to not even require MADness to attack alongside other benefits or they can choose an option that gives them an invisible companion that has its own initiative and can do pretty much anything other than a specific attack action without you using your attack action.
And then people will eat up that shit and choose the option that allows them to bind a weapon to them because they think it looks cool.

What?
Don't tell me they've been stealing my ideas.

Oh, how about a sorcerer that, at level 1, gets darkness at the cost of less than a level 1 spell and can see through their darkness, gets darkvision and can make a save anytime they would drop to 0 to not drop to 0?

God I'm on a roll today

How about the typically most boring class option - the fighter - getting a path option that does nothing interesting other than make you roll higher numbers more often?
>>
>>49954644
>I can be rude to people but they can't be rude to me
k
>>
File: 1433523438425.png (567KB, 680x782px) Image search: [Google]
1433523438425.png
567KB, 680x782px
>>49954618
As stupid as this sounds, an improvised weapon is not a weapon.
>>49954790
Oh, he's just having a giggle.
>>
>>49954265
anyone?
>>
>>49954824
A champion fighter enthusiast's first attempt at a strawman everybody!
>>
>>49954868
It's like pottery, it rhymes
>>
>>49954854
There is nothing saying an improvised weapon cannot count as a weapon from what I've read. As long as it is a weapon and not a melee weapon, it should work.
An improvised 'weapon' can be assumed to be a weapon for the obvious reason - it's an improvised WEAPON.

But yes, this is all in good fun.
Any build utilitizing sharpshooter + great weapon master at the exact same time is not going to be game-ruining or overpowered, only potentially immersion ruining.
>>
>>49954790
I fixed bladelock a while ago:

Object action to draw it, you automatically get the relevant invocations at the level they become available, magic weapons can be bound to it, but don't stop you from binding other magic weapons or summoning other weapons. No melee limitation.

Instead of summoning just weapons, it can summon any weapon or tool, and you are automatically proficient in the use thereof.

BAM. Bladelock is worth taking now, and fills a niche that chain and tome don't.
>>
File: smugdogcone.jpg (79KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
smugdogcone.jpg
79KB, 576x768px
>tfw the party is going nuts trying to figure out what class you are
>>
>>49954265
>a barbarian, a fighter, a monk and two warlocks
Faerie Fire will make you the MVP. I'm the rogue in a party with paladin, ranger, monk, warlock and bard and I have yet to convince him to take the spell. Anyway, a bard without Vicious Mockery is not a bard to me, so you should take that. For magical secrets, I suggest Haste. Put that on the barbarian or the fighter and watch them destroy your enemies. Fly is good, too. But search through the spells yourself, you might find something that interests you more: http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/
>>
>>49954927
How hard can it really be to figure out, even if you change the name of your abilities?
>>
>Nearly got my entire party wiped last night to magical suits of armor over 5 gold coins.

>Party only got saved when our 2 NPC PCs (Missied session) dragged our unconsious bodies out. While our barb was trapped in a jello pool.

I'd say it was a good session. I got 5 gold.
>>
>>49954906
>proficiency in all tools
>automatically get lifedrinker, thirsting blade

So, basically, you pick pact of the blade with undying light warlock so that you can do Green Flame Blade with extra damage, and so that you can trump anybody's tool proficiencies if they ever become relevant, except perhaps a rogue with expertise in thieves' tools.

It's not overpowered and it certainly makes it more playable, but it's not optimal. Then again, 'undersand languages'/eyes of the rune keeper already make language proficiencies redundant, so you can probably get away with tool proficiency in everything.

The main concern is that people pick pact of the blade just so they have a viable melee alternative without any non-combat benefit (since pacts are mostly supposed to be non-combat utility, with a bit of combat utility such as shillelagh). Also, even then, fighting in melee combat isn't great unless you either up your dexterity to 20 instead of charisma or get medium armour.

Well, whatever. I'd allow it to bladelocks, at least it means they get an extra invocation if they ditch agonizng blast, it's not exactly unbalanced and they'd probably insist on going pact of the blade anyway.

>>49954927
I've had this before. One experienced latecomer finally worked it all out, though.

>>49955030
When you've multiclassed in a certain way, your character portrays themselves a certain way and people don't pay attention and aren't experienced, it happens.
>>
What is a good name for an arcane half caster gish?
>>
>>49955121
A gish
>>
Kind of a repost but I would like to hear more options again before I go to my DM.

I'm trying to come up with a damage dealing character that has an unhealthy obsession with throwing knives. Throwing knives is the only weapon she will use unless she's gotta use something for melee.

Flavor I want her to be a hot ass human bounty hunter, as to not copy too much from a certain character from a really popular MOBA game and another from a very popular doujin game series.

Is Ranger -> Hunter a good enough way to go for this kind of damage dealing shenanigans? I'm avoiding Rogue class because my last two characters were Rogues but am not above multiclassing. Which brings me to the problem that as far as xtreme damage goes throwing knives only do 1d4 dmg which in all honestly sucks.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
>>
>>49955121
Eldritch Knight.
>>
>>49955030
It's hard because I am conspiring with the DM to change rolled die that would reveal, say, my actual hit die when we're healing or damage die when I'm using certain attack options.
>>
Just picked up the PHB are bastard swords out?
>>
>>49955160
yup, long sword is mechanically the same though
>>
>>49955121
Eldritch Knight / Tomelock
>>
>>49955180
bummer I was making a Paladin named Kondar
Though I suppose the mess of exotic weapons is finally over
>>
>>49955143
Daggers count as monk weapons, throw a dagger when out of range, punch when in range. Or sexy kick or whatever.

Suck your DM off and he may let you use your daggers for your bonus action attack, the only bonus you get is you are ranged. Done.

By level 5 you are throwing 4 d6+Dex daggers.
>>
>>49955143
Weapon draw limitations severely limit the effectiveness of throwing-based characters. Your DM will have to houserule around that.

Ask your DM if you can play a Sun Soul Monk with all of its magical abilities refluffed as throwing daggers, daggers as Monk weapons, and possibly even the Martial Arts bonus unarmed attack (the non-ki version) being usable with a thrown dagger as well.

>>49955224
This man knows what's up.
>>
>>49955199
just pretend it's a bastard sword, anon.

'sides, exotic weapons were shit.
>>
>>49955224
>By level 5 you are throwing 4 d6+Dex daggers.
W-what? How?
>>
>>49955107
Well yeah, but don't most classes have abilities that blatantly give them away?
Barbarians rage.
Bards inspire.
Clerics channel divinity.
Druids wildshape.
Fighters action surge and second wind, sometimes maneuver.
Monks use martial arts and flurry.
Paladins smite, lay on hands, and channel divinity.
Rangers use hunters mark and...alright they could maybe be mistaken for an EK by someone inexperienced.
Rogues use sneak attack and have expertise.
Sorcerers use metamagic.
Warlocks have invocations and distinct pact boons.
Wizards have their school features which are pretty easy to pick out, if numerous.

>>49955143
You're going to need a bit of houseruling to make that concept work.
First, make sure your DM is okay with you drawing a weapon with each attack, as if they had the ammunition property.
Second, make sure they're fine giving you the archery fighting style bonus (assuming you'd rather have that than offhand TWF throwing) with them.
Finally, make sure your DM is fine having Sharpshooter benefit them.
With all of that, you're only 2 average damage below a longbow user with one hand, and have the potential for a bonus action attack or use of the other hand. The only issue becomes keeping all of the knives.
>>
>>49955241
Yeah I guess I was sick of the all those fucking exotic weapons and all the feats they need
still bummed
>>
I don't even get weapon draw limitations. If the party gets the drop on someone, or is surprised themselves, then surprise rounds work better.

What mechanical purpose do weapon draw rules serve in an edition with surprise rounds?
>>
>>49955281
Dual-wielding wasn't bad enough so they needed to add a feat tax.
>>
>>49955251
If you let him finish on your face. Your bonus action Flurry of Blows. Or Bonus Action Flurry of Daggers, let's you attack twice on bonus action. You also have an extra attack. So 2 attacks, then 2 with bonus action using a ki.

Monk weapons become d6s at level 5. They go to d10s.
>>
>>49954110
>op question:

yeah I just ordered it. love me some books!
>>
>>49954977
i'm between vicious mockery and friends for my second cantrip as minor illusion seems too useful to wait for, i'm talking with my dm to see which would be more useful until then.

i've read a lot of good suggestions on magical secrets but i was maybe wondering more about what someone else had picked in the past and how that turned out for the campaign.
thanks for the insight.
>>
>>49955143
There is no good by-the-rulebook way to do it without being a rogue. You are gimping yourself if you don't play rogue.

You can also try a college of swords bard, but you will have to ask your DM for a bit of saving grace on how many knives you can draw a turn.
>>
Would a dragon follow a sufficiently powerful lich, or would a lich serve a dragon?

Either way both would be following some sort of evil god.

I want one of them to be the BBEG of my campaign and would like to include both if possible.
>>
>>49955270
With one level in cleric and the rest in another caster, you can easily dress as a full plate cleric and heal everybody with your spell slots and people aren't likely to scrutinize why you just cast 'rope trick' because they probably don't know exactly what spells each cleric can cast off by heart.

With levels in warlock and cleric, you'll be a downright piece of shit.

>guidance
>vicious mockery
>sacred flame
>eldritch blast
>heals
>hex
>alarm
>find familiar
>shillelagh

If they know the classes, they'd be able to pick up that you have pact of the tome, book of ancient secrets and a level in cleric, but they wouldn't know that immediately.
>>
File: knifesoul.png (2MB, 646x1696px) Image search: [Google]
knifesoul.png
2MB, 646x1696px
>>49955143
you can thank me later
>>
>>49955408
Dracolich, there, problem solved.
>>
>>49955408
why not just a dracolich?
>>
>>49955439
>>49955451
Oh. Didnt know they even existed. Will take a look into them.
>>
>>49955408
Look for lawful evil dragons, and then perhaps.
>>
>>49955270
You don't HAVE to use your fists or flurry of blows as a Monk.
>>
>>49955143
Try blades college bard if you can use UA
>>
File: MitJMbUBR2xl.jpg (55KB, 594x400px) Image search: [Google]
MitJMbUBR2xl.jpg
55KB, 594x400px
>>49955224
>>49955236

Ah I've never played Monk or cared much for them, but this seems interesting I'll run it through by my DM.

>>49955270

Yeah our DM is ok with us drawing small weapons if our characters carry them in certain ways after a debacle we had when an autistic Fighter started taping javelins all over his body. I'll try this if my DM isn't ok with the Monk idea.

>>49955341

I understand I should probably go with a Roguish class, I guess I could multiclass... as long as my other DM (who's a player in this campaign) doesn't roll his eyes and go "Rogue again!?"
pic related
>>
>>49955437
Fucking kek
>>
>>49955527
Multiclassing won't really do a lot for you, since barbarogue relies on you making melee attacks.
Fighterrogue would probably use other weapons.

Take a look at UA Kits of Old and have a look at the bard college 'college of swords'.
>>
>>49955527
If you go straight monk you can be a shadow monk. Teleporting on bonus action when in shadows.
>>
>>49955617
>there is literally nothing stopping you from doing this while wearing full plate and using a greataxe
>>
>>49955657
>not realizing that monks are better greataxe wielders than filthy gaijin
>>
File: kat.jpg (59KB, 760x1045px) Image search: [Google]
kat.jpg
59KB, 760x1045px
>>49955437

I hate you anon I'm at work I can't laugh out loud like this.

>>49955492
>>49955574

Oh nice, I had never heard of this. Yeah we're allowed to use UA stuff, the Sword Bard looks like it fills the bill on pretty much all I need except the Hunting shit.

>>49955617

Hng that's tempting.
>>
How viable would a dual-wielding ranger/paladin be? I would take only ranger spells that don't rely on WIS and go STR/CHA with plate armour.
I know it'll take too many levels before it kicks in (about 8) but is it even slightly viable when it does?
>>
>>49955692
>Shadow Monk 6 / Battlemaster Fighter 3 go 4 and get those feats, son
>bonus action teleport behind an enemy
>slam them with your advantage greataxe
>spend a ki point for Stunning Strike so they automatically fail Strength checks
>turn it into a Trip Attack and guarantee a knockdown
>smack them again with a pushing attack and shove them towards your party
>ACTION SURGE
>catch up and greataxe-push them again towards your party
>use your last attack to Commander's Strike your Rogue
>sneak attack on delivery

>your next turn comes around, enemy is still prone since they're stunned and can't stand up
>advantage greataxe them twice
>bonus action for Flurry of Blows
>STR+1 * 2 as you stomp all over their face
>>
>>49955793
The question is why, if hunters Mark, vengeance Paladins get those.
>>
>>49954110
No, I'm just gonna buy a physical copy and watch people bitch about it not being in the mega.

I heard there is gonna be new versions of some of the races being released, like goblin, and that certain races will also have negatives to stats. I heard this from a friend who got to read the book back at PAX.
>>
>>49955695
For hunting, get a single level in revised ranger.

+2 to attacks against favoured enemy (say, humanoids), advantage on initiative, natural explorer, an extra skill, shield proficiencies, a class that starts with 10 HP, etc.

To be fair your DM shouldn't allow multiclassing bullshit wit UA ranger much like shadow sorcerer bullshit but it'd let you be who you want to be, UArevisedranger1/college of blades3+
>>
>>49954854
>Improvised weapon is not a weapon.
And an unarmed strike is a weapon.
Yes, D&D is that tard locked.... Still.
>>
>>49955886

Would Volley be usable with throwing knives? That'd be fuckin' funny.

Why shouldn't he allow for multiclassing with UA Ranger? He's honestly the biggest 5e nut I've ever known so if anything is OP it won't go through him though.
>>
>>49955873
I want to make a Sentai-style flashy hero, dedicated to rooting out all evil. Favoured enemy and dual-wielding bonuses etc.

I don't fucking know I haven't entirely thought this through.
>>
>>49955966
You gotta oath of vengeance that shit and you are good. Ranger is nice but it's not worth slowing you from getting your ASIs and abilities.
>>
I'm thinking of making a battlemaster 14/ rogue 1/ diviner 5.
Would wield a crossbow and mostly do normal battlemaster stuff, but the one level in rogue for increased athletics proficiency (and one other skill, not important) means I can grapple or shove in many cases. The levels in wizard are for A) Diviner's level 2 ability to either ruin my opponent's roll or keep my own from being a flub, B) to get some neat buffs and/or out of battle spells, and C) let's face it, even if I didn't miss out on fighter 20 for a level in rogue, fighter doesn't offer much after the third attack. I went 14 instead of 12 with the extra two levels in wizard because the attribute increases/feats are nicer than 4th level spells.
The only problem I'm having is how I should progress. 6 fighter first obviously if not for extra attack then for the fighter's proficiencies. But what order to take things in afterwards? Rogue for shove>advantage>sneak attack I'm thinking, but how to space out the remaining battlemaster and diviner levels?
>>
>>49955994
But colossus slayer and extra fighting style...
>>
Making my first warlock, can I just bullshit my own fiend? What are generally not edgy ways of acquiring a fiendish patron

I rolled 14, 9, 13, 11, 16 and 15 for my stats

I went 11 int and 9 wisdom, they aren't important to a warlock right?
>>
>>49956026
Fiend hates competing with other fiends for power, so he gives you power so you can go on a holy quest to rid the world of (their) evil!
>>
>>49955437
fucking saved, I have a player that will use this.
>>
>>49954354
Idk what this image is about, but if you trying to sneak attack with a heavy crossbow while using both sharpshooter and GWM feats, I would allow it, solely because you would also need tavern brawler to become proficient in the weapons and would need to dip fighter or to pick up the feat to give you proficiency in heavy crossbows. Also you would be using strength with the attack and damage rolls. With all of that investment you would not really see any promising returns until level 9 at best.
>>
>>49955852
>Shadow Step doesn't specify that you have to teleport to a ground tile
>teleport 30 feet into the air
>inflict falling damage on the enemy as you land on them
>take no falling damage yourself because Slow Fall
>>
>>49955922
An unarmed strike is a melee weapon attack.
Your body is not a weapon.
...okay, be quiet monks, your body is not considered a weapon for the purposes of rules affecting them.
>>
>>49956097
So, no disarming strike to remove his hands?
>>
Refining my give ground houserule. Thoughts? What should the bonus be? Disadvantage? +AC?

Here's the rule:

Whenever you're attacked, you can use your reaction to give ground. If you do, for each attack that is made against you this turn by the attacking creature, move 5 feet, in the opposite direction of that creature. That creature attacks you with disadvantage this round. This movement does not provoke an opportunity attack by that creature, but it can by other creatures.
>>
>>49956116
The entire change was made so they could remove "unarmed attack" from the weapon table.

That's it. All this fucking confusion to delete a line from the weapon list which I seriously hope no one was confused by before. You can still punch and use maneuvers, smites, stunning strike, and whatever other shit keys off weapon attacks, while punching.
>>
>>49956158
>hit by high level eldritch blast
>move 60 feet
>>
>>49956086
Pretty sure there's no RAW precedent for this
>>
>>49956198
possibly. The idea is that you're moving backwards against melee attackers as part of a nimble dance around their weapons. around ranged attackers, I imagined a "dance pardner" scene.

As presented, the rule is entirely voluntary. You don't have to give ground. But if you do against an eldritch blast, then yes, hits that make it through the disadvantage would push you 10 feet if they had the perk, in addition to the 20 feet from giving ground.

I don't really see the problem.
>>
>>49956198
>use your reaction
>more than once
>>
>>49956198
>a wild level 20 hasted Fighter appears, fires nine arrows and makes six of them pushing attacks
>get knocked back 135 feet
>>
>>49956086
My houserule is that people who are fallen on take exactly as much damage as the faller before resistances.

So if the monk is falling slowly, then he's going to inflict less fall damage on the opponent.

Polymorph is a heck of a spell for divebombing with.
>>
>>49956272
>for each attack that is made against you this turn
>>
>>49956280
>firing 9 arrows in 6 seconds

Level 20 is bordering on the mythic, I still don't see the problem.
>>
>>49956298
Fair enough, I thought he'd be sensible enough to change it by now
>>
>>49956316
>can fire nine arrows in six seconds
>still can't pull two daggers out of his belt at the same time
>>
>>49956316
>voluntarily move higher than your speed as a reaction
See it now?
>>
>>49956316
At that point you've got to reckon that the target gets thrown even further just from the momentum of having moved that far, that fast.

>lines of warlocks using repelling blast to accelerate projectiles like a coilgun
>>
>>49955852
Commander's strike takes up one attack and a bonus action
>>
>>49956158
If I'm reading you right, the intent of this houserule is to promote dynamic combat, as opposed to two bags of hp standing in front of one another and attacking till one falls over, right?

Wouldn't it be easier and more within the rules to just let everyone forgo their reaction for the round to make a free shove attempt? Maybe add in the caveat that you can't use this to shove prone - that still requires you to use an attack on it.
>>
>>49956317
If you adequately explain why that sort of limitation is good, I'll take it into consideration.

Consider this though. During my turn, I can use my action to move my movement speed. I can also exchange my reaction to make an opportunity attack. But so far there isn't a feature that lets you move during another person's turn, despite actions being directly involved.

>>49956332
In your scenario, the movement isn't voluntary, and you don't control the direction. The only movement attributable to the feature I've proposed is 45 ft. worth. the rest is due to a fighter class feature.

It may be a problem that you can move more than your movement with a reaction when a fighter uses his action surge. I hadn't considered it before today, because the max for most sessions would be 20 feet in a turn. I'll take a look at it and see if I can tie movement to movespeed, or impose a limit on it. Also I'll think about whether this sort of semi-voluntary movement needs to be capped. Because if the fighter is moving you 45 feet by attacking, he's probably going to maneuver you into a trap or obstacle.
>>
>>49956381
>bonus action
oh well
just axe the fucker again i guess
probably better to replace that flurry of blows in Round 2 with commander's strike anyway
>>
>>49956386
That's the intent yes.

I thought about implementing this with shoving attacks, but I preferred this method. Letting it be an option for everyone, without an associated stat roll, means more classes can reliably do it. Which would promote dynamic combat more. Shoving attacks would be an interesting, and possible approach towards what I want, but I don't think it does enough.
>>
>>49956351
the eldritch railgun? I like it.

sadly, dnd doesn't work right if you try to incorporate momentum.
>>
>>49956283
When a Monk falls slowly, they're actually doing that wuxia flutter kick thing. All those feet slapping into the enemy's face is what does the falling damage.
>>
>>49956425
But everyone can shove?

It does exactly what you want it to, just from the other direction. You give up your reaction to manoeuvre the fight - make a shove attempt to push the target 5 feet. You can't trick this into abusing opportunity attacks, because you've used your reaction to shove.

If you want to, just alter the shove slightly so that the 'reaction' 5-foot shove doesn't require an opposed roll if you move as well (assuming you have movement to spare that turn), and leave shove prone requiring opposed rolls.
>>
As a dm looking to run a module, how do the published adventures stack up against each other?
>>
>>49956175
And to be unaffected by enhancements
>>
>>49956584
i have only played through the starter set but after looking through several reviews, it seems like out of the abyss and curse of straad are the best ones, while rise of tiamat (or was it hoard of the dragon queen?) is the worse one.
>>
>Decided that I will be the DM on the next campaign with my group since our current DM wants to play
>Got a great idea for a homebrew setting.
>Create a massive backstory and worked out how all the factions will work and such things.
>Really proud. Ran it over the old DM, he likes the setting
>Realize I have no idea what the actual story is going to be.
So what do you guys do when you can't think of a story for your players?
>>
>>49956655
Frost king?
>>
>>49956554
Think about it this way: if you let everyone shove on their turn, that creates a few issues:

It's adds an additional dice roll to about half of all turns (assuming an even caster split, and the casters always stay out of melee range). that increases the time it takes to go through a turn. Comparing my rule, it adds dice to existing rolls. I mostly play online, but when we played in person, having advantage or disadvantage didn't add anything to the turn time, because advantage/disadvantage is so easy to process.

It tones down movement (compared to my rule). Shoves are 5 feet or prone. My rule starts at 5 ft and scales up (still considering limits)

It lets people shove each other prone as a free action every turn. Shoving someone prone is so good that I'd wager this would be the optimal shove nearly every time.

It increases the complexity for the attacker, but not the defender. One of the issues I'm trying to work with is increasing complexity in general, and increasing the defense complexity is a nice plus of my rule.

It only really makes duels involving strength based fighters more mobile. Since shoving requires a good strength check and all that.

now, I could fix all this by using the excellent wording changes you proposed in your post just now., and some more changes too. But that creates another, final issue: 2 types of shoving, which I think unnecessarily increases confusion.

Essentially, I think my version satisfies my goals better, and a little more elegantly, though i won't deny that shoving was a viable option to take.
>>
>>49956684
Think of a group of players in your setting. Think how adventurers would work, what a high-level group would look like.

Then make them the bad guys.
>>
Are there any WotC official feats not in the PHB? I can't find anything particularly useful for my character (variant human paladin).
>>
>>49956740
Aren't there some in the UA?
>>
>>49956684
since you seemed to write a novel or something, figure how the pcs work as actors in the world at the present day. who would be their natural enemies? where do their goals lead themselves to?
>>
>>49956725
>I want more complexity
>Compound movement from multiple attacks, exceeding movement limits for the turn, +Ns flying around to AC or even more advantage/disadvantage conditions? Bring it on.
>Two kinds of shove? Too complex, get the fuck out
>>
>>49956684
Talk about your setting with the players, general stuff most people there would know about, and be sure to include interesting stuff like legends, rumors, any number of hooks. Then ask them what would they like to explore, what would they like to accomplish. Use your players for inspiration to create the story around them.
>>
>>49956775
>since you seemed to write a novel or something
Not really. the backstory is like a paragraph long. I don't know why I said "massive backstory". Sure, it is quite expensive. But the concept is simple.
>>
>>49956316
>mythic
There're irl people who do better than that
>>
>>49956837
>>49956775
For got to add. The short version is a paragraph short, but I have a more detailed story in mind.
>>
>>49956684
here's some generic advice that's worked out for me in similar situations.

stick the PCs in a town with people. Come up with some VIPs for that town, like the local lord, a priest, a prominent trader, etc. Associate a very generic quest with each of these prominent people. Give the PCs quest hooks, like the local lord is looking for some off the books work, or the priest has a problem with some heretics in the woods, etc, all said in appropriate places within the starting town.

Now the twist. Prepare a twist for each of these quests, so you're ready no matter what the pcs choose. the twist is that the VIP is going to dick them over somehow, then run away to do nefarious things. Like the priest might actually be having the party kill some prominent religious scholars on a mission from god. the lord might be trying to smuggle something out of the city, and doesn't pay the PCs fully. etc. Either way, the goal is to get the players mad at the VIP, and have him escape them or beat them.

It's very slight railroading, but it lets you give the PCs motive, and revenge plots can fuel entire fucking campaigns, because murderhobos.
>>
Planning on giving a player a Shield that acts like an immovable rod.

Any shenanigans that would make me regret that decision come to mind?
>>
>>49956280
Is this accounting for the battlemaster feat as well?
>>
>>49956865
Except when they do that in real life they don't draw the string back far enough to even pierce a wool jacket.
>>
>>49956865
What IRL people can shoot arrows fast and hard enough to push someone 90 feet in six seconds?
>>
>>49955935
It's overpowered, in that the beast at level 3 scales with level rather than ranger level and the level 1 feature is just...

>+2 to damage on every hit against humanoids
>advantage on initiative (Barbarians take a whole level to get this alone)
>natural explorer
>ignore difficult terrain
>assassin's advantage on anyone who hasn't moved yet feature (bundled conveniently with advantage on initiative and being dex-based)
>d10 HP

Not super OP, but damn that's a bit much at level 1 when almost anyone could benefit from all of those.

>bunch of proficiencies
>>
>>49956767
Technically UA isn't official material. I need published stuff because that's what my GM allows.
>>
>>49956997
In that case, no. Not that I know of.
>>
>>49956740
polearm master, sentinel, great weapon master, shield master, resilient, etc.
paladins wish they could get more feats than they can, you don't need to search for anything other than the PHB to maximize it.

i for one would go with polearm master just for the free bonus action attack, that alone is worth it. the synergy with sentiner and your auras, smites and weapon enhancements are all gravy.
>>
>>49956932
They go through that and even more, they don't go through full plate and neither did longbowmen.
>>
>>49957085
source: your ass?
>>
>>49957056
I'm going sword-and-board; if anything, shield master and sentinel make more sense. But I'm not particularly inspired by them.
Doesn't matter, though; I decided to go standard human, because I rolled a lot of odd numbers. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>49954900
I dont think you could utilise sharpshooter and great weapon mastery at the same time, when using the crossbow as an improvised weapon the crossbow/improvised weapon "is similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such" thus, if treating the heavy crossbow as some heavy bludgeoning weapon, it would lose its ranged property and gain the melee property
>>
>>49957136
even then, resilient (con) is more or less needed to hold concentration later on and making all your saves auto-success is just too good to pass on.

even if you don't need anything in particular for your build, every character can benefit from alert and lucky, and half-elves also make good paladins (because they are broken as all fuck but who cares).
>>
>>49957085
If you think that pulling back for 2/3 of a second is enough to store power in a bow for more then looking cool in a movie then I think you need to hang yourself with your own bowstring.
>>
>>49954110
>Frost giant society has no industry to speak of
>mostly make clothes and adornment from leather and bones
>image of frost giant sitting on giant throne of lava with forges flanking it

o n e j o b
>>
>>49957085
>inb4 youtube video of a Danish fag doing parlour tricks against dubiously chain shirt
>>
>>49957191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TUTJ0klnKk

ONE JOOOOOOOB!!
>>
>>49956158
Every turn, each player gets one 'special action' or whatever you call it. This can be used to:

1. When within 5ft of a creature, shove them 5ft, the creature making a strength save against (8+profmod+strength bonus).

2. Make any int(skill) check to learn or decipher about something.

3. Make a perception check (Say, to check for anyone hiding).

4. Make a common sense check? I don't know, have the DM tell you really obvious things like FUCK THERE'S BEEN SIX MIMICS IN A ROW ARE YOU SERIOUSLY ABOUT TO OPEN THAT CHEST WHILE YOU'RE ALREADY FIGHTING MIMICS?

5. Flank. If flanking (perhaps just within 5ft of an enemy while they're in 5ft too) you can give a bonus such as 'enemy has disadvantage on opportunity attacks caused by ally movements' or 'ally can ignore enemy's shield' or something. Don't just throw in straight advantage or an attack, and be hesitant about a straight-up hit bonus. I'm not really sure.

6. Possibly some feint mechanic.

7. 'Give ground', as in you'll move back if the enemy attacks you. You have to use this on your turn in preparation. This grants you NO benefits you dunce, but it means the enemy must invade your territory to keep attacking, and may suffer a reaction attack.

8. And more.

You need to be careful people don't waste forever on these extra features. Make it so they never have to be desperately used, they're just a thing that can be used.
>>
>>49957170
But 'similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such' immediately falls back into 'well, it's a fucking crossbow. So it's a crossbow.'
>>
I was told to get book of ancient secrets

Rituals take 10 minutes to cast, but no cost, right?

What two 1st rituals are good?
>>
>>49957342
Find Familiar is very good, and identify is always nice. Tenser's Disk can be good if you find heavy treasure.
>>
>>49954110
>Fight dragonkin revenant
>Take its leg
>Apparently worthless as a weapon since my barbarian/fighter multi only gets an attack/damage bonus for 1-handing weapons
>Have it silver'd anyways in the event we fight undead that nobody can hurt physically
>Everybody during the session is trying to explain to the backwards hippies that the party thinks the revenant jumped bodies DESPITE nobody actually witnessing the event and my character being the only viable "witness" whose int/wis is pretty low
Is there any use for the leg aside being a post-adventure trophy/unique weapon? Also, how do stop game pals from disclosing information that the characters themselves don't know?
>>
>>49957399
>Also, how do stop game pals from disclosing information that the characters themselves don't know?
This is on the DM to enforce. If metagaming's got you down, let them know.
>>
give me bard tips, please.
>>
>>49957269
>>49956158
Oh, yeah.
1. means you move with the target on success. No free disengge.
2. allows you to see through illusions (if you succeed the check) without spending your entire fucking action. If you know to check for an illusion, anyway.
3. Can check for hiding, if you don't play it by 'use passive perception' or 'you automatically roll for perception when enemy hides'.

The idea is that all the actions you can take give you options, but are not things you'd want/need to use all the time, and you can't use more than one.
The fact it doesn't spend reactions/bonus actions/whatever avoids nerfing classes unnecessarily for using reactions and such already. I feel stuff like the shove is good for promoting melee classes though, and the shove being strength-based brings more meaning to the strength skill.
Being able to make int checks helps int become a more useful stat, too. And people won't have to beg DMs for those int checks they'd never waste their entire turn on.

I want feint to be 'deception versus insight' but that's honestly stupid when it'll probably get abused so much and every turn there'll be a contested roll and that'll just be painful to DM.
>>
has there been any good material released for pallydins?
>>
>>49957456
Inspire people, steal spells, enjoy being the best class.
>>
>>49957456
>be a bard
>steal spells
>HAHAHA
>cast spells
>HAHAHA
>stop sucking, add half (rounded down) prof mod to initiative rolls
>HA
>win
>kill self, because too good

If you are a lore bard, take counterspell at level 6. If you do not take counterspell, you will die of shame.
>>
>>49957467
>>49957269
this is an interesting design and I'll look into it some more. Thanks.
>>
>>49957171
I would 100% have played a half-elf but my last character was a half-elf warlock, so I decided not to just for variety's sake. But yeah, half-elves are broken as fuck for at least half the classes; it's no wonder I always consider them.

As for alert and lucky, they're nice but I'd rather boost my charisma and strength first.
>>
Hey, what do you guys think of this Sane Magical Prices thing?

I was thinking of making magical items slightly more available to my players as long-term goals for money outlets/downtime crafting and after a once-over, I like the prices in here better than the 500/5000/50000/500000 rules in the DMG.
>>
So I have been out of the loop for a while. How is the revised ranger?
>>
>>49957562
Pretty good.
>>
Would I ever need to make Animal Handling checks for a mount required through the Find Steed spell?
>>
>>49957554
Why is +1 armor/shield under game changing?
>>
>>49957554
>no giant strength stuff
One of the few things I don't agree with. Strength has the belts/potions because it doesn't have any other derived combat stats.
>>
>>49957590
Bounded accuracy.

Having +1 AC is a pretty big deal in 5E. If you get +1 armor and a +1 shield early on for an already optimized character, that can be a huge deal.
>>
How would I implement a sort of dependency or addiction in my Elves a la Warcraft?

I love me my magic crack addicts.
>>
>>49957590
It's explained on the very page it is listed on. Magic armor puts a serious dent in bounded accuracy.
>>
>>49957654
You wouldn't, because 1) warcraft sucks 2) the pc elves in warcraft never deal with it so anyone who didn't find it faggy wouldn't like it implemented, and 3) if you want addiction play VtM.
>>
Whats the most braindead class? I dont want to think much while playing and I usually forget abilities
>>
>>49957654
Start giving your character levels of exhaustion for X amount of time without sipping some arcwine
>>
>>49957736
Wizard
>>
>>49956991
This has been SA'd by Mearls who writes UA
>>
>>49957736
Barbarian and champion fighter
>>
>>49957751
That's actually a good start.
>>
>>49957736
Champion Fighter
>>
>>49957785
>>49957829
Champion fighter will be then, race I already decided it will be human
>>
>>49957736
definitely champion fighter
>>
>>49957848
It's like you literally hate fun.
>>
>>49957494
>>49957499
>best class
>too good
i keep reading this but for as good as magical secrets and being a skill monkey sound, i still can't seem to fit everything i'd want in a single build.

would you say that attacking melee as a low level bard is a dumb idea? i don't want to take blaster spells because there's enough blasters but i don't see myself casting every turn with my action, and melee because crossbows are for faggots.
>>
>>49957758
Evocation wizard is definitely easy, just choose the spell with highest damage and you dont even hit your friends
>>
>>49957908
I'm just tired of playing casters, losing time deciding what spell to take etc. Most of my friend cant even learn the rules, its only me and the GM who know how to play, so I want something that I can just keep rolling
>>
>>49957912
Are you attached to Lore? Valor and college of Swords are more Gish.
>>
>>49957955
...you might be depressed
>>
>>49957962
we have enough frontline fighters, i'm just not sure what to do with my action in those odd moments when there's nothing to cast.
>>
>>49957967
I know
>>
>>49954354
>>49954404
>>49954537
>>49954574
>>49956063
The heavy crossbow, has heavy property so small races cant use it.
>>
I actually like that magic items are expensive. I treat them like the art market; if you've got an item, you've got to find the right buyer, and the right price--the price in the book may not be how much it actually ends up being; could be more, could be much less.
>>
So my idea to allow crafting magical formula schematics at a pace of 25 GP a day seems to have caught on pretty well, particularly the bit where for every +1 in Investigation a character has, another 5 gp is allowed to progress.

Feels like it has really made Intelligence relevant as a stat again
>>
>>49958076
Technically they only have disadvantage. They can still use heavy weapons, but permanent disadvantage with the weapon is a pretty strong deterrent.
>>
>>49955408
They'd be much more likely to partner up both planning to betray the other.
>>
>>49955408
I can see them allying and adult dragon or lower only

Ancient dragons just don't give a fuck
>>
>>49958224
Well yeah but i mean that thats the spirit of the rule, not triying to have a improvised heavy melee weapon(for what ? a rock or a table works a an heavy improvised) or to add toguether sharpshooter and gwm in one attack.
>>
>>49956991
>>advantage on initiative (Barbarians take a whole level to get this alone)
That's not the only thing barbarians get at the level 7. They also get the option to ignore surprise by raging.
>>
What do you think of the Primeval Thule campaign setting and tools?
>>
>>49955329

Must Have level 6 Magical Secrets:

For the Magebreaker Bard

Counterspell
You can add you Jack of All Trades, Luckstone if you get one (they're just uncommon) and at some point, your own Inspiration Die.

For the healer Bard

Aura of Vitality
2d6 every round for a minute, for a grand total of 20d6 for the price of a level 3 spell.

For the Support Bard

Bless
Half an inspiration die for every person, every roll, for the cost of a concentration, and a level 1 slot

Haste

While an excelent spell, I hesitate to recommend in favor of it. You should take spells that make you a great bard, not spells that make the fighter a great munchkin. That said, this is the spells all martials want to bully the bard into taking

For the Magic Initiate Damage Bard

Eldritch Blast and Hex

For the Valor Bard

Green Flamed Blade. You're not going to disengage to make booming blade useful, and you're already going to pick up War Caster no matter what anyway
>>
>>49958277
I'd at it depends on the strength of the lich.
If it's the strongest lich in history, any very old dragon will go "oh shit, there's been nothing like this before, I need to be on his good side".
I think the only thing that beats most dragon's vanity is their self-preservation instinct.
>>
alright, I can't wrap my head around this.

I took moderately armored as a warock, I'm using medium armor and a shield.

I have an arcane focus in one hand, shield in the other.

I can cast any spells as long as I have a required component.
>>
>>49958451
But thats wrong, only white dragons can be brow beaten into service. Almost all dragons would rather die than be a slave.

And I don't care if you are Szass Tam himself you don't fuck with ancient dragons
>>
>>49958495
Yes
>>
>>49958495
RAW you can't cast a spell with somantic but no material components if your hand is occupied by a focus, unless you have warcaster.
However, you can RAW have your focus by your side and an empty hand, and draw your components (the focus) as part of the somantic components and deposit it after the spell is cast.
Unless your DM is named Data you should be able to cast somantic spells with a focus-holding hand.
>>
>>49956684
Read the player's backstories, holy shit.
>>
>>49958495

With an arcane focus, you only need consumable or price tagged components
>>
>>49958530
>Unless your DM is named Data you should be able to cast somantic spells with a focus-holding hand.

It'd be might weird for the bard to cast somatic and Arcane Focus spells without holding it with a hand
>>
spellcasting components should only matter for ritual spells desu.
>>
>>49958530
Yea this correct. And is the dumbest quirk of the 5e rulebook, IMO.
>>
>>49958434
>magic initiate damage bard
tell me more.

everything sounds so good and i can't decide, we don't have clerics or wizards so basically its up to me to fix every magical problem and i don't really feel like it's possible.
>>
>>49958611
>the dumbest quirk of the 5e rulebook
Surely there's dumber quirks.
>>
My group is running Storm King's Thunder. I'm the DM. I accidentally urged them towards a major battle at Grudd Haug, when they need to explore s'more and meet an important NPC. They were hesitant to head there, luckily, but at the time I didn't realize that they shouldn't be pursuing one of the big bads so early, (because I didn't read through the whole book). So, I have another hook to urge them north, and a few encounters to run there, but how do I make it seem like I'm not railroading them to correct a mistake?
>>
>>49958646
well Bard is the literal jack of all trades class

so you can be support, healer, damage, utility, and a skill monkey all at once

you just won't do any of it as good as a focused class could do it, but you could do it all.
>>
>>49958611
The dumbest quirk of the PHB is the spell organization...
>>
>>49957990
Valor bard with a bow and Swift quiver is also good damage.
>>
>Battlemaster heading into diviner wizard
>Need arcane focus
>Pull out hand crossbow
>Point at head and shout Persona to cast
Would you let this happen?
>>
>>49958798
>Would you let this happen?
No, no fun is allowed in my table
>>
File: 3e3.jpg (97KB, 600x634px) Image search: [Google]
3e3.jpg
97KB, 600x634px
>>49958798
Yup, I'd let you blow your own head off. I'd really play up the shock value, though.
>>
>>49958530
I houserule that you need War Caster or a free hand.
>>
>>49957616
Not fucking this again.

+1 to AC is not groundbreaking at all for PCs, but it can be for NPCs - but NPCs improved with magic items need to have their CR bumped if it is a combat item.
>>
>>49958694
You don't know what a quirk is, do you?
>>
I'm making a charlatan tiefling warlock.
low int, high cha and dex
Intimidation, perception, sleight of hand and persuasion.

backstory: His parents were successful guild carpenters who were brutally murdered by a random mugging after seeing a bard performance with their son. Merasid couldn't bear to stay in his family home any longer, pacing in a fit of grief when the creaking sound of swelling wood and manifested darkness began whispering to him.

From the powers he gained from the dark bargain, he changed his name to "Resolve" and sought to fight all the evils in the world. Keeping an eye out of for his parents killer, too.
>>
>>49958694
Yuuup.
>>
>>49959464
Does he have bat-themed tiefling traits?
>>
>>49959464
Nice batstory, what's his patron?
>>
>>49959464
You could've just said, "I'm making Warlock batman" and we could've nodded and moved along
>>
It's over. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/25/does-the-companion-gain-the-extra-hd-per-ranger-level-or-character-level/
>>
>>49959806
>http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/25/does-the-companion-gain-the-extra-hd-per-ranger-level-or-character-level/

Beautiful. Exactly what I expected.
>>
So general rp question. I'm playing my first ever dnd game tonight. 5e, I rolled up a Forest Gnome Bard. Would it be weird if I actually took the instrument he has to the session and played it irl when casting like inspiration and stuff. Is that considered annoying? I just want to get in the groove.
>>
>>49959974
That depends entirely on the group; I'd love it. I've also known a lot of people that would hate it.

However, either way--do NOT let it slow the game down. Strum a couple chords and move on, or play a trill and go.
>>
>>49959974
Don't fiddle with it constantly, just do a few notes/beats/chords when you cast a spell or inspire. Make it a flourish, not something that slows the game.
But yeah if done right it's hella.
>>
>>49959995
>>49959998
Yeah I wasn't planning on doing like songs. Just a couple of notes to increase immersion or something. I hope it is an okay idea.
>>
>>49960047
Probably be fine, then, unless your group hates fun.
>>
>>49959806
>>49959829
it's a shame stuff as stupidly obvious as this needs to be explained
>>
>>49959974
I would adore that if one of my players did it

depends on your group really. you might weird people out if they're brand new like you
>>
>>49960078
Yeah...just like Warlocks, for the Warlock levels and invocations. Was obvious to me, anyway...
>>
>>49955935
UA wasn't written with multiclass in mind.
Make it easier for the designer. They will balance it on the later iteration.
>>
Hey DM's, looking at investing in a DM screen (probably going to make my own). Anyone know any goodd vendors to pick up the materials for creating one?
>>
>>49960138
>>49960078
People will try to cheese and rule lawyer their way for more power.
>>
>>49960177
Hobby craft stores or hardware stores should have the mats if you're looking for thin wood slabs + fabric to cover them, as well as hinges.
>>
>>49955935
Because it's completely frontloaded and makes EVERY martial class better than a level of their own shit.
>>
File: 1476881616886.png (281KB, 600x617px) Image search: [Google]
1476881616886.png
281KB, 600x617px
>>49954110
>When Volo's Guide to Monsters comes out, are you going to do your part and take pictures of all of the new races for us?

You betcha I am /tg/!
>>
>>49955935
Consider what you'd get from just 1 level in the new ranger

for 3 levels what you'd get would be even more fucking absurd
>>
>>49954174
are you me?
>>
>>49960462
I've been saving bing Amazon Giftcards specifically for this, since it got announced. r/beermoney is your friend.
>>
File: jinun in general.jpg (2MB, 2975x1400px) Image search: [Google]
jinun in general.jpg
2MB, 2975x1400px
why is a STR monk/paladin impossible to run, i just want to play as a dragon man that smites shit with his fists.
>>
>>49960594
It's not impossible to run, just slightly impractical.
>>
>>49960605
i would pretty much have to cheat my starting stats or deal minimal damage the rest of my life, yeah.
>>
Has anyone ever done a D&D map for the Mines of Moria, like with squares and everything?
>>
>>49960078
I'm surprised no one's asked about Action Surge and level 17, since it's in the same entry as the level 2 in the book. I guess the table makes it clearer?
>>
>>49955880
you monster frisbee
>>
>>49960594
>>49960644
talk to your GM. So long as you didn't want something ridiculous I would probably let you do whatever.

What exactly is the problem anyway? Can you not smite with your fists? Why not ask your GM if you could have some Caestus or something that counts as a monk weapon for you, then you could smite with them.

Either way you're gonna have MAD out the ass, but that's unavoidable when MC'ing two classes that have nothing in common stat wise.
>>
>>49958495
>>49958537
>>
>>49960682
In my PHB it says that you can use it twice per short rest at level 17, but only once per turn. Was it different in an earlier printing or something?
>>
>>49960711
I mean I'm surprised no one's asked if you have to be fighter level 17 to get it twice per short rest, or just character level 17 (at least Ftr2).
>>
>>49960730
Isn't that covered in the multiclass rules?
>>
>>49960644
Well, if you insist on maxing Strength as your attack stat, you'll have worse AC because of your Dex.
You could just keep 13 Str (the minimum for the multiclass) and max Dex, and be toned and still punching shit.
There just isn't much synergy here, sadly. Paladins want armor and weapons and spell slots, while monks use neither (and cannot function without lack of armor and certain weapons) and ki, which only they get.
Perhaps you should just homebrew an oath or way that gives a few monk or paladin powers?
Or just play Sun Soul Monk, or Tavern Brawler Paladin.
>>
>>49960706
you can smite with unarmed strikes, it's just the MAD as hell requirements.
>>
I'm making a crossbow fighter -

I don't really want to have to take Human Variant to get Xbow expert, I wanna play a Half-Orc or a Dwarf.

Since Fighter gets a lot of ASIs and I really only would need Dex, I would be fine sacrificing my 4th and 6th level ASIs for Xbow expert and sharpshooter respectively.

My question is, would I need Xbow Expert to fire twice when I action surge? By this I mean I attack with my heavy crossbow, action surge, then attack with it again.

My understanding of Loading is that you just can't take multiple Attacks with an attack action, but I don't know how that'd interact with a whole different Attack action that I'd get from action surge.

The wording is probably all fucked up in this post I'm on mobile
>>
>>49960809
I'm pretty sure you're right. due to the loading property you only get one attack per action, but if you take a second action via Surge you can shoot again.
>>
>>49960809
just go variant human, do yourself that favor.
>>
New preview of VGtM: http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Volo_Froghemoth145.pdf
>>
>>49960897
That's such a cop out though. Yea I'd be way, way better with Sharpshooter at level 1 but I'd have to be a Human.

>>49960907
Oh my god I need a figure of that
>>
I'm looking for a good campaign to run, anyone got any recommendations?
>>
>>49960788
When has that ever stopped anyone?
>>
>>49960931
Princes of the Apocalypse, Curse of Strahd. Start with Lost Mines of Phandelver and branch into either.
>>
>>49960836
This is correct, just looked in the handbook.
Loading means "you can fire only once piece of ammunition when you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to fire it, regardless of the number attacks you can normally make."
Action surge gives another action.
>>
>>49960931
SKT is also good and very very easily can be done from LMoP
>>
>>49960953
We played the first bit the lost mines but the group fell apart for a bit, could we jump into one of the other ones with a decent recap?
>>
>>49960963
I looked it up and it's a beefy one, and expensive, wouldn't happen to have the pdf?
>>
>>49961023
MEGA link in the OP has every adventure plus all the adventurer league adventures and stuff from third parties
>>
>>49960988
Unnecessary to do so; fun, though. Just start into either. I enjoyed tying both Lost Mines and Princes of the Apocalypse together.
>>
>>49961038
Thanks
>>49961045
And thanks
>>
>>49960594
I'd just use Sun Soul monk or ask the DM if you can use a good enough homebrew subclass.
>>
>>49961038
Odd I'm just getting an empty file when I try to download it
>>
>>49960594
So why not just play a dragonborn paladin that smites things with his fists, you weeaboo faggot?

>muh references
>>
>>49957583

Such a steed is sentient, so you definetly wouldn't.
>>
>>49960803
? Pump strength, take tavern brawler, and forget about monk.

You're just giving up a damage die on the weapon, but smite would have been your main source of damage anyways.
>>
>>49954900
>There is nothing saying an improvised weapon cannot count as a weapon from what I've read.
>In many cases, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such
In summary, an improvised weapon is not an "actual weapon" and can be treated as a weapon "in most cases" AKA, not all cases. For instance, a crossbow clubbing not counting as a ranged weapon for purposes of sneak attack damage.
>>
Hey guys, I'm an autismo trying to basically simulate out how many people with class levels are in a world given a few metrics.

I'm using stat rolling to determine if one qualifies for Class levels and then an additional Accessibility value to represent how easy it is to become a given class. How present Wizard academies or Monk dojos there are.

My question, should having a higher Ability influence how accessible a class is? If you're a freak of nature born with 18 Strength, should your chances of finding training to be a Fighter go up? Or should the accessibility be an nonadjustable number depending upon the culture?

Or more simply, should people with higher abilities be more predisposed towards becoming an adventurer in the first place or should their stats only influence their success once they become someone with class levels?
>>
>>49961431
Higher ability scores? No.

People that will have class levels are people that *do* things. That's why rogues--that steal to live--in a city often seem like they might have rogue levels.

Ignoring, of course, that building NPCs is completely different from building PCs.

To put it simply, forget about it and do what makes sense. Numbers are great, but this is an occasion where it's unnecessary.
>>
>>49961431
Yes someone's bace stats would give them the equivalent of natural talent ( because they would already be ok at something) they would them most likely continue in that kind of thing until they get a level in it
>>
>>49961380
but divine favor on the flurry of blows
>>
>>49960907
>Cares nothing for the egg and might eat it the hatchling
Typos, boys.
>>
Why are mind flayers afraid of the Gith?
>>
File: e46ctxakaitx[1].png (49KB, 915x561px) Image search: [Google]
e46ctxakaitx[1].png
49KB, 915x561px
>>49961431
>>
What's your favorite place to get homebrew archetypes from. A lot of the ones in the mega are total shit for various raisins.
>>
>>49961573
The Gith reveled against them and managed to kill a whole bunch, some Gith are even dimensional hunters of illithids.
>>
>>49961573
The Gith were a slave race that rose up and overthrew their mindflayer masters. Hunting mindflayers is one of the few things githzerai and githyanki will team up on.
>>
>>49961501
Just multiclass warlock and get divine favor+more smites.
>>
File: Loviatar_symbol.jpg (28KB, 400x433px) Image search: [Google]
Loviatar_symbol.jpg
28KB, 400x433px
I have a PC in my group who worships Loviatar, goddess of pain, but isn't a cleric. I'm trying to think of ways he could demonstrate his worship that would get him rewards.

The campaign will be moving to a large city, and I'm thinking whatever resident Loviatans will have clandestinely managed the construction of an underground "pain dungeon" for congregational worship. If this PC finds out about it and decides to partake, I'm thinking he puts himself through a gauntlet of Constitution checks that would deal full damage on failure, half on success. Maybe some extra effect on a failure, like reduced healing for a period of time, or depletion of hit dice, etc.

In return, depending on how much he decides to put himself through, I figure some sort of magical charm would be fitting. Like a Charm of Inflict Wounds or Charm of False Life; something that would allow him to deal out more pain or allow him to endure more of it would fit the motif, I think.

Does any of this sound like it would work? Could it be abused, or a loophole developed? Given the nature of the goddess, I would want the character to pay a significant price in exchange for her favor, so I wouldn't want it to be a decision that's easily made.
>>
>>49961600
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Archetypes

Have fun :^)
>>
>>49954110
What is this from?
>>
>>49961638
Nice try bro.
>>
>>49961585
Neat what's this from?
>>
>>49961655
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/597t3i/dd_character_level_demographics/
>>
>>49961501
>wants to smite people like his animu husbando
>complains about it being difficult to play optimally.

Seems like the system is working as intended tbqh. Just suck it up and go with "Muh references" for a hilarious and not at all annoying character, while accepting that you won't be optimal.
>>
>>49961600
i've found fun stuff in the middle finger of vecna.
>>
File: 884.jpg (203KB, 637x442px) Image search: [Google]
884.jpg
203KB, 637x442px
>>49961609
>>49961612
I see.
I'm thinking of making the Githzerai find a fungus that affects Illithid tadpoles, but the fungus is more like a rash than anything. Through their interdimensional adventures they've managed to push it through a fast evolution making it act like a Cordyceps fungus on Illithids.
>>
I hate how there is no archtype for the "Brutal Rogue", the whole tough scoundrel rogue was my favourite in 4E, using a hefty mace to club people in the back of the head, kicking foes to the ground and being a tough gritty son of a bitch.

But in 5e it's literally "Uhh, no, Daggers, Shortswords or Rapiers only." with no other melee options what so ever. When archtypes are a thing how do we have five archtypes that all do the same kind of thing with the exception of Arcane Trickster.
>>
So, last Sunday I put my players into a dungeon crawl against a group of Lizardfolk who'd been corrupted by an infernal relic. I'd designed it to have an array of encounters, with a single boss in addition to four Medium and two Hard encounters - plus some bonus fights they could find if they went exploring or decided to go full-on murderhobo instead of hero. The players charged in and went as nova as possible, ran mostly out of resources after four encounters, and retreated back to the nearby village for a long rest. And they left a witness behind.

So now the big boss (a mind-flayer re-skinned as a Lizardfolk who's been possessed so long he's fused with his possessor) knows our heroes are coming back to finish the job, knows what they look like, and is desperately starting to prepare. He has the following resources:

>Five remaining standard lizardfolk
>A somewhat disgruntled Lizardfolk King under mind-control
>A pair of fiendish Giant Lizards - higher AC, damage and speed, more HP, and a "rending tongue" ability which deals significant damage and pulls the target closer.
>A troll, which has been sufficiently tortured it will go after whoever's easiest ASAP
>An arbitrary number of Giant Constrictor Snakes, although only the first two are controlled, the rest will attack anyone uncontrollably.
>A single orcish prisoner
>A ritual that kills an unwilling victim to transform a normal lizard into a fiendish Giant Lizard
>A ritual to bleed an unwilling target to create dense thorny vegetation which is very difficult terrain.
>Magic loot - wand of magic missiles and boots of speed are the most notable, in addition to a bunch of healing potions.

What do? I want to make it hard but not unwinnable - I'm not out to punish my players, just to remind them that enemies can use prep time too. The players are level 7, so they're powerful, but I'm picturing the lizardfolk going full-on Fantasy Fuckin' Vietnam if they get the full ~ten hours before the PCs return.
>>
Whips are an option too. And daggers can be pretty brutal. But in general I agree. Weapon design is one of the biggest failings of 5e.
>>
> friend want to DM
> he has low system mastery
> let a player pick danddwiki homebrew race
> "I checked it! It not OP"
>>
>>49961848
This. Gimme some variants. I don't want fucking exotic weapons back, but like, gimme something different. I know longsword, rapier, and greatsword will still be the best but...come on.
>>
>>49961661
Not exactly what I'm going for, I'm using randomly generated stat rolls to determine who is eligible to become a person with class levels of some type, then there is the added variable of the places accessibility, how easy it is to get into the chosen profession, in the Wizard City, it's much easier to become a Wizard than it would be in the middle of Hamletville.

Basically, to gain class levels you need Talent and Opportunity.
>>
>>49961906
HALBERD
>>
>>49961940
Counts as glaive
>>
>>49961906
I would like to see a build your own weapon table just to encourage more DMs to allow easy homebrew like letting you sneak attack with a club, or allowing a monk to equip brass knuckles. And from my perspective as a dm, it would encourage more players to ask about those sorts of houserules.

Obviously something like that would probably have some overpowered combos, but DMs can police it.
>>
>>49961940
Hold on, let me make you something for you halbros out there.

>Martial Weapon
>2d12 Piercing, Slashing, and Bludgeoning
>Reach, Versatile (2d20), Finesse
>Special: Halberds ignore armor bonuses to AC. Only magic can offer defense against this, the high holy of melee weapons.
>>
File: c700x420.jpg (157KB, 700x420px) Image search: [Google]
c700x420.jpg
157KB, 700x420px
>>49961848
>>49961906
>>49961966
>>49961940
>trident
>>
>>49961638
I have a fucking player who links dandwiki to other players without my knowledge

Shits me to tears
>>
>>49961983
I'm going to build a weapon system and post it in the next thread.

See you in an hour or so.
>>
>>49961638
The fucking horror.

That site should be destroyed. I've seen complete noobs who don't know better and just googled "dnd classes" and found retarded shit from there that they thought was actual dnd stuff because the site said wiki
>>
>>49962022

>Would certainly use this
>DM would be a cunt and make it super weak.

zzz
>>
File: Derceto_Night.png (36KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Derceto_Night.png
36KB, 640x400px
Kinda wanna do a haunted house adventure? any tips?
>>
>>49962237
ravenloft?
>>
>>49962257
did that one awhile back
>>
>>49962195
I can only hope this is a joke.
>>
>>49962170
>>49962170
sometime in the late 3.x/4 days, i was looking for Marshal, (near as i remember, it was an aura class similar to dragon shaman)
the ONLY thing you can find online is the wiki marshal class, which equates to a support battlemaster that just yells at his friends, has a picture of an anime waifu, and all of his abilities are titled akin to "dont die man!" complete with the quotes
>>
>>49962295
It's no joke, he'd forcibly downgrade it to some d10 heavy weapon with only one damage type, no finesse, and nothing special. Well, maybe reach.
>>
>>49962415
What a pussy.
>>
>>49962022
That's it. I'm sick of all this "Four-times greatsword" bullshit that's going on in 5e right now. Halberds deserve much worse than that. Much, much worse than that.
>>
One of my players wants to play a jojo like character, could a warlocks patron be worked fluff wise into a Stand like situation?
>>
>>49962508
have his familiar be a Shadow and fluff up the appearance. pledge obedience to the pillar men or something
>>
>>49962531
That works thanks
>>
>>49962508
Have him go pact of the chain,

give him a familiar that he gets to flavor/fluff in any way, so long as it uses the pseudodragon/imp/quasit/sprite statistics.
>>
If I polymorph someone into a toad (1hp), and then they are hit with an attack which does 2 or more damage, then am I right in thinking that they transform back AND THEN take the excess damage on their normal HP, rather than dying from going to negative-toad HP and then reverting to a dead humanoid?
>Going to zero - > revert
Kicks in before
>going to zero - > excess damage kills - >revert

I guess you could still use a PW:K or even just a Sleep to affect their weak form though, so it's still very useful. Just not Polymorph + Boot = dead
>>
File: Capture.jpg (33KB, 431x175px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
33KB, 431x175px
>>49962558
readnigga.jpg
>>
>>49962508
Cast continual flame on your fists then play Phantom Blood
>>
>>49962578
Yeah I read it, I just wondered about the order of things, because it said "reverts when returns to zero hp OR dies", I wondered if dying from going to negative HP happens before you go to zero, but I wanted to check!
Giving them zero bonus to wisdom saves and minus five to intelligence is pretty good
>>
>>49962606
Read the last sentence again. Slowly.
>>
>>49962740
Knocked unconscious isn't the same as outright dead! I do think this makes sense for it though, I recognise I'm being picky.
>>
>>49962606
It's pretty clear.

0 hp > revert > excess damage.

They revert as soon as they hit 0 hp.
>>
>>49961636
The nice things about gifts from deities is you can be vague about how much of a boon they get. If your player doesn't abuse their gift/gets overshadowed/fails to use it successfully due to people making their saves, you can say "You still feel the blessings of Loviatar within you". If they abuse it/make a big splash with it you can give them fewer uses of the ability, and when they exhaust their blessing, you can say "As you use (the ability), you feel the gift of Loviatar leave you, and you sense she is pleased/displeased (depending on how it was used or if you want to placate the player) with how her blessings have been used. So basically, don't tell the player "You now have 3 uses of inflict wounds". Tell them that they can cast the spell, and that they'll have more or fewer charges depending on what's interesting.

Also consider using my "Concordance" houserule. Basically, any character who worships a god can make a persuasion check as part of a prayer to their deity. If they have pleased their god, the check is lower, if displeased, higher. For deities, they can get a luck point as per the lucky feat, and the deity ignores them if they fail. For Warlocks, they can regain their spells, but if they fail, their patron requires a task of them that aligns with that patron's aims. Consecutive uses in game time will also increase the DC.
>>
>>49962749
>>49962606
And you guys complained why sageadvice was filled with stupid thing, that can be answer with "read the damn book"
>>
>>49954110
>Another player's girlfriend starts the game as a female Drizzt expy, not even subtly

How do I make her stop
>>
>>49962773

do you know the "Disintegrate" spell?
>>
>>49962785
Third level bard. Our DM let her and the other powergamer roll for stats, so of course she's enormously overpowered.
>>
>>49962795
wait until they're asleep or something, with all their gear off, and cast Shatter a few times
>>
Speaking of polymorph. What was that about drowning a creature after you polymorph it again?

I thought suffocation drop you to 0 hp and give you dying condition, but wouldn't they just transform back at that point?
>>
File: 1446068402819.jpg (1MB, 2510x1409px) Image search: [Google]
1446068402819.jpg
1MB, 2510x1409px
What, mechanically, do I need to change to run a successful 18th and early 19th century campaign? Like, how do I armor, weapons, classes? Pic unrelated.

Players would work for Not!British-East-Trade-Company as specialists.
>>
>>49962913
Well obviously cut magic if you're going realistic

frankly 5e just doesn't really fit what you're trying to do
>>
>>49962773
Start by reexamining why yourself and your priorities and why you even give a shit.

If you still can't handle a mediocre character then consider making your PC a major fanboy of hers. Praise and validation is the bane of those kinds of characters, the trope thrives on being being against the system, so to speak.
>>
File: 1440981127510.jpg (864KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1440981127510.jpg
864KB, 1280x960px
>>49962930
Let me try that again.

What, mechanically, do I need to change to run a successful FANTASY EQUIVALENT 18th and early 19th century campaign? Like, how do I armor, weapons, classes?
>>
>>49962971
I think that would work well if she wasn't a girl
Because she is, he'll just look like he's creeping on her
>>
>>49962983
Find a use for strength, stat.
With guns around, DEX becomes even stronger than ever! I recommend that you have a Strength requirement on big guns like muskets.
>>
>>49962987
Fanboy =/= Sexual advances.

Think more eager squire following a knight rather than mouthbreather.
>>
>>49962971
i think in this situation gender doesn't play a factor

i think we can all just be unified in our distaste for drizzt and drizzt clones
>>
File: 1440966870156.jpg (596KB, 2124x2776px) Image search: [Google]
1440966870156.jpg
596KB, 2124x2776px
>>49962998
Seems a bit extreme. I'm already gonna enforce carry weight limits. Anything else? Like, ways to modify armor or class options to fit?
>>
>>49961838
Convert some regular Lizardfolk into the fiendish Giant Lizards.
Also you could have the King summon some devils as backup.
>>
What would be your ideal class that doesn't exist yet, either flavor wise or mechanically?

I want a Half-Caster that gets access to the Wizard spell list. That's all I want. It'd be fucking perfect. Yes I know about EKnight, but they have stupid restrictions and even worse spell progression than a half-caster.
>>
>>49963015
I think it's OK in character, but the player focusing on another so much will seem odd, I think

>>49963037
even if the requirement is 10 or 12, stops the army being full of weedy soldiers
>>
>>49963067
>even if the requirement is 10 or 12, stops the army being full of weedy soldiers
Alright, that sounds legit. Any other advice? I'm worried that without armor, everyone will be immensley weak and die easier. But armor (at least a lot of armor) didn't really appear in this period, and the rules don't mechanically enforce guns as anti-armor (like, eugh, Pathfinder). So what's the solution?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (64KB, 460x431px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
64KB, 460x431px
Why the fuck is this a 6th level spell?
>>
>>49963129
>Advantage to all attacks against target for up to a minute
>Disadvantage on target's Dex save.

Gee. I wonder.
>>
>>49963129
It debuffs a saving throw and they have to spend their action to make the repeated save.
>>
>>49963143
>>49963151
For a sixth (6th) level spell slot?

I dunno senpai, I'd rather just cast you know, distintergrat or something
>>
>>49963188
Action economy. They lose actions, the party's actions against them become fantastic! It's a win-win, plus you get to humiliate someone as you kill them.
>>
>>49963188
Disintegrate requires an attack roll, Otto's Irresistible Dance is as it's name says, irresistible. You have a chance to deal a lot of damage with disintegrate, you WILL fuck it up for 1 round minimum, and it takes an action to even attempt to resist is because the dance is so irresistible. You're obliged to conform when there's no other course
>>
Wanna make an archer valor bard, am I wrong in wanting to dip one - three levels of fighter?

Actually I think I'd start Fighter for all the proficiencies then MC valor bard. Archery just sounds too good, and Action Surge lets you cast two spells in a turn right? Couple that with battlemaster manuevers/superiority die and you're a much more competent combatant at the cost of 3 levels.

I know Lore bard would be better probably. Has anyone here played a valor bard?
>>
>>49963188
>>49963129
>Effectively immobilizes a single creature for at least one turn without giving them a save to prevent this.
>In order to save against this the target has to use their action
>Disadvantage on Dex saves.
>Can last longer if creature fails or doesn't take the save.
Seems to be powerful enough to me, especially if the creature doesn't have good ranged attacks. Also useful if you want to take the creature alive, or even for a good laugh.
>>
>>49963316
It's a good way to beef your archery, but you're falling behind on a good number of spellcaster levels, and delaying extra attack until level 9
Might be best to specialise in the generalist class, than spec out of it, ironically
>>
>>49963360
Yea that was my concern.

Might just go Lore
>>
>>49963120
Cover, lots of cover.
Half cover is already +2 AC, Three Quarters is +5 AC.
Might be worth improving these by 1 AC each, and also giving the more martial oriented classes (replace medium / heavy armour proficiency) a flat bonus +1,+2 due to "experience, instinct, and training contributing to better evasion and positioning in battle."
Mage armour, barkskin, etc, covers this for spellcasters
Light armour like padded and leather should still be fine, for characters that it suits. (a soldier in stiff uniform, or a tribal warrior)

I'd also reduce the gun damage from in the DMG (where they are exotic weapons) to run parallel with the normal weapons (d6-d12), then you don't have to worry about changing HP, or the balance of spell damage.
Monks become hilarious and can catch bullets
>>
Is variant human a trap option?
>>
There are lots of interesting place names on the Underdark map the book should give info on them
>>
Between this and pathfinder what would you recommend?

Some friends are on the fence here
>>
>>49963572
It's a trap for DM.
>>
>>49963721
eh?
>>
>>49963065
So.. pretty much just Multiclass Fighter/Wizard?
>>
>>49963730
If you're a DM and you allow variant human. Every PC will be variant human. So don't do it. EVER. if your player whine about it, consider just let every race get a free feat at level 1
>>
>>49963572
Base human is a complete trap option. It's a joke.

Variant Human is good for people who NEED a feat to do something they wanna do.

If someone's picking Variant Human for Sharpshooter or GWM they're kind of a shitter. But if you're picking it because say, you want Magic Initiate to represent that your character was in a mage's college but dropped out, then you're good.

My character right now is a Human Paladin, took inspiring leader. It's really fun to give extremely, extremely unwanted pep talks to the group after every short rest. The party's rogue plugs his ears for them now and forfeits the temp HP just because his character is so sick of my Stupid Good speeches over anything.
>>
>>49963783
> They pick Polearm master instead.
>>
>>49963741
think of it like this -

the three main "types" of magic, not schools but "source" of where the magic comes from, are Divine, Nature (whatever Druids/Rangers cast with) , and Arcane.

Paladin is a half-caster that mixes Divine magic with Martial ability. Clerics and Paladins have a lot of spell overlap.

Ranger is a Half-Caster that mixes Nature magic with Martial ability. Druids and Rangers have a lot of spell overlap.

(Class I want) is a half-caster that mixes Arcane magic with Martial ability. They and Wizards would have a lot of spell overlap.

See what I'm saying? I dunno why that'd be ridiculous to have.

Half-caster progression with medium armor/shields + martial weapon proficiencies, extra attack, access to the Wizard spell list.

I pretty much found what I was looking for though it's a bit less martial than I'd want.
>>
>>49963845
It already exists. It's called Eldritch Knight

Giving it half-casting but less extra attacks but no heavy armour proficiency would actually be a buff.
A good EK doesn't need extra attack (GFB/BB), doesn't need heavy armour proficiency (dex-based), doesn't need whatever.

The problem is that when you're a half-caster, casting damaging spells isn't as important. Casting spells such as 'hold person', 'haste' or such is more important.

What you want is probably a caster that has high level slots but is penalized by not having low level slots, so that while they can keep up the chase their spellcasting is still limited.
Does that sounds familiar to you?
Hi, Warlock called. Just make a medium armour 'you have access to a few wizard spells' warlock.
>>
>>49963845
So it's a Fighter/Wizard multiclass. This isn't 3.pf, you don't need to bloat the class list with concept that can already be achive in game.

If you want to be special snowflake just multiclass and call yourself Magus or Spell Warrior.
>>
>>49964015
Or Valor Bard.
>>
>>49964062
Or valor bard. Forgot that they get a lot of similar wizard-ish things.
Only concern there is they're definitely a full caster.
>>
>>49963129
Heck I would even rule that if this is cast on a target that is in group, say a group of goblins, the other goblins would/could be distracted for a turn, wondering wtf is there 'buddy' doing.
>>
>>49964015
>>49964052
>>49964062
Yall are no fun at all.

So what if you "bloat the class list"? What does that even mean? More options is bad? Don't compare adding one class with 3e's forty splatbooks

I don't want to be a bard, warlock or wizardfighter multiclass. Bard and warlock don't fit and multiclassing sucks.

Luckily I have a GM who isn't a complete miser and is cool with homebrewing shit. Because **fun**
>>
>>49964240
Homebrew on 5e is almost always shit and imbalanced, though. I feel sorry for the GM. Homebrew's for people not creative enough to put their own twist on the classes already there.

Cleric, Bladesinger, Bladelock (ugh), Eldritch Knight, Paladin and Ranger all fit what you're asking for, but you don't want any of it.

You want half-spell progession and to still be good at evocating the fuck out of everything. That just doesn't work. If you have, say, EK's spell progession, you don't use spells for attacks but instead for control and buffs.

When you have 'extra attack', it devalues evocating. When you have evocating, it devalues 'extra attack'. There's redundancy in there. Cleric/bard plays it well however as when the cleric or bard isn't casting their normal attacks are actually worth something. Bladesinger too, probably.

You should make something with a warlock-ish spell progression, armour and int-based casting, that loses a lot of the control spells but has access to a lot of evocation and doesn't have all the warlock features but instead a few things that increase their melee survivability.

Basically what bladelock was supposed to be.
>>
>>49964306
actually might've been swordsinger or something

Whatever it was, it's a light-armour wizard that gets extra attack, bonus melee damage, bonus speed, bonus AC, et cetera and can still blast.
>>
>>49955143
Pick between Ranger, Monk, Thief and Fighter.
These are the only classes that allow for throwing weapons.
Note that monks get to improve the damage die on daggers even when thrown so you get to do 2d10+10 damage on a hit with them along with getting a bunch of good abilities like unarmoured AC and movement.
Reccomend the shadow monk.
Just dip two levels in the new UA ranger, pick up FE humanoids and the Sharpshooter fighting style (maybe even take a third level so you get Hunter features).
>>
>>49964207
Multiclass into Battlemaster or Paladin. Problem solve.
>>
>>49964240
Wait until other player bring out their fun from wiki.

Honestly, I feel bad for you. You don't have enough creativity and system mastery to make your own character with the stuff that is already there. And you don't know how to flavor stuff either, I bet you're crying for MUH KATANA at your DM too, when you can just reflavor a longsword to be one.
>>
>>49964240
> multiclassing suck
Pathfinder Babbie detect
> I can't separate flavor and fluff from class name
Pathfinder babbie detect
> I want mechanic for all the little flavor change
Pathfinder babbie detect

Please go back to your containment cell.
>>
>>49964491
Not that guy but you type like an Armenian
>>
Planning on running Curse of Strahd in a few days. Any tips?
>>
>>49964535
Dress and speak like Bela Lugosi at all times.
>>
>>49964541
Seconded.
>>
>>49964535
In all seriousness if you Google "guide to curse of strahd" a blog called Power Score has a great guide to the module & another one for Strahd as a character
>>
File: IMG_0210.jpg (68KB, 329x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0210.jpg
68KB, 329x475px
>>49964535
Pic related
Thread posts: 412
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.