[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 39

File: Tanarukk.jpg (257KB, 1275x1672px) Image search: [Google]
Tanarukk.jpg
257KB, 1275x1672px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Last Session:
>>49937000

Thread Question:

What monsters are you most excited to see in November's Volo's Guide to Monsters?
>>
>>49949883
I want to know what the Hell a flail snail is.
>>
>>49949920
It's a large snail, that flails. What is there to discuss?
>>
File: Dat Hot Variety.png (450KB, 795x903px) Image search: [Google]
Dat Hot Variety.png
450KB, 795x903px
>>49949883
>What monsters are you most excited to see in November's Volo's Guide to Monsters?

That feel when most of what I've been fighting in my current game has been almost exclusively humans/PHB races.
>>
How annoying would it be if I plugged my podcast at least once every 5e thread?
>>
>>49949883
My favorite monster is the mind Flayer, and with the teasers for more lore about them I'm just excited to finally have the excuse to throw one at a party.
>>
File: flailsnail.jpg (53KB, 342x500px) Image search: [Google]
flailsnail.jpg
53KB, 342x500px
>>49949920
It's a snail with flails
or morningstars if you prefer
>>
>>49950067
How do I 5e this?
>>
>>49950029
Worse than the Planar Bestiary guy
>>
File: Flail Snail.jpg (137KB, 367x469px) Image search: [Google]
Flail Snail.jpg
137KB, 367x469px
>>49950082
Like this
>>
>>49950099
Shiiiit....Yeah I'll just wait till we upload new episodes then.
>>
>>49949883
Shit, Tanarruk look more demonic than before
>>
>>49950110
But what about stats, Monica?
>>
What's the difference between the Goliath race in Elemental Evil and the Goliath race in Volo's?

Are they the same?
>>
>>49950140
Large monstrosity, unaligned
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 59 (7d10 + 21)
Speed 40 ft.
STR
20 (+5) DEX
12 (+1) CON
17 (+3) INT
3 (-4) WIS
12 (+1) CHA
7 (-2)
Skills Perception +3
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 13
Languages -
Challenge 3 (700 XP)
Keen Sight and Smell. The Flail Snail has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight or smell.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The Flail Snail makes three attacks with its flails.

Flails. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage.
>>
File: GREATSHIELD META NOW.jpg (129KB, 916x1000px) Image search: [Google]
GREATSHIELD META NOW.jpg
129KB, 916x1000px
>>49949883
THIS IS GOING TO BE IN VGtM

YOUR FIRST THOUGHTS? SHOCK. AWE. YOU STRUGGLE TO COMPREHEND THE FULL MAGNITUDE OF WHAT YOUR EYES ARE SEEING.

WHAT'S THAT? NO SWORDS? ALL YOU NEED ARE GREATSHIELDS.
OFFENSE. BAM. DEFENSE. BAM.

PERFECT EQUILIBRIUM.

DEFEAT THEM IN THEIR MINDS BEFORE THE BATTLE EVEN BEGINS. THEY CAN'T FIGHT. THEY'RE TOO SCARED.
>>
>>49950158
As far as we know it's a reprint
>>
File: spock summons satan.gif (954KB, 330x220px) Image search: [Google]
spock summons satan.gif
954KB, 330x220px
>>49950067
reminds me.. anyone know what issue of dragon magazine had the step by step process for building a fucking floating castle? the most demanding thing (other than gold) was a wish spell for some something.

runnin lost mines for the second time (newish dm, third or fourth time total), advice or words of wisdom?
>>
File: high 5.png (10KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
high 5.png
10KB, 493x402px
>>49950181
fuckin' saved.
>>
So after playing 5e for a bit...

I feel like... caster are still better than martial... We're at level 3 and my druid can use Pass without trace + Giant Spider form for +17 stealth (while the Bard can just cast Invisibility). We can also dominate skill challenge via Enhance ability spell.

Is the martial caster disparity still there in 5e?
>>
>>49950243
How good are you at smacking things, getting smacked, or not being labelled a nerd?
>>
File: confort zone.jpg (29KB, 579x399px) Image search: [Google]
confort zone.jpg
29KB, 579x399px
>>49950243
Yeah, it's still there. It's been reduced alot since 3.PF, but it's still there.

Caster's aren't necessarily better than Martials at combat. In fact, they're kind of worse... but in terms of options and versatility, casters can still do wayyy more. I'm still waiting for the edition of DnD that limits that wizards to a single school of magic or something.
>>
>>49950243
Doesn't help that Moon Druids are also really strong as an early game class
>>
>>49950243
This:
>>49950272
And this:
>>49950286

Moon Druids drop off pretty quick - they're good but they don't develop that much beyond low levels.
What class are you playing?
>>
>>49950316
I don't really see how Moon Druid will drop off. People seems to forget that they can still cast spell.

At level 5, when other people getting Extra Attack, Moon Druid get Conjure Animal. 8 Wolves or Elks will do decent damage thanks to bound accuracy.

At level 6, They get Giant Elk form.

At level 7, they get Polymorph, which let them break their Wildshape rule and transform into Giant Ape.
>>
>>49950416
At the risk of sounding like a total newfag, what is "bound accuracy", I don't see the term once in the PHB.
>>
>>49950232
its literally in volo's
>>
So help me out here...

One of my players made a thief. That's cool, and kinda fits the more social oriented game we had going, with only the occassional "Go fetch something from this dungeon"

Problem is, I have had something steal an important item a few times, and hidden in a dungeon crawling with monsters. The intention is to have them fight their way through it, and retrieve the item.

The last 2 times, the thief was level 11. Now it is completely pointless, because nothing ever notices her. They have a modifier to detect her of like +4 or +5, and he literally can't roll below 23 (any roll below 10 is automatically a 10, 4*2 because of expertise, and +5 from his 20 dex), all this with advantage because of supreme sneak. This results in the character just walking through the dungeon, grabbing the object, and leaving again, uncontested, because most things can't even roll that high, and I am relying on a lucky 19-20 required most of the time, and even then, on being spotted, the usual reaction is "run, find a place out of sight, and stealth again".

I could fumble my die, but we use a dice tower, and suddenly rolling in secret and "surprisingly" rolling a lot of 20s would be obviously bullshit. But even the +10 to spot checks can't ever seem to notice that insane amount of bonuses.

What can I actually do here? This just feels like absolute bullshit. Worse, her perception is equally dumb, so I can't even surprise with traps or something like that, which makes sense, but just makes it terribly difficult to make any kind of interesting dungeon crawls.

Any solutions I could use to prevent this?
>>
>>49950429
It's a design paradigm in 5e that keeps the character's (both PCs and NPCs/monsters) AC and attack bonus "bound" to the ground, instead of letting it advance into the sky (like it did in the previous two editions).

This means that lower level characters still have a chance to hit higher level ones, which just did not happen before.

So it's not an actual "thing" it's more of a shift how the math works between editions.
>>
>>49950429
bounded accuracy is one of the major design philosophies of 5e. In short, it makes it so that AC can only go so high, and the your to-hit rolls can only go so high, so that you won't ever reach the point where you can boost your strength to 50 like you could do in a certain previous edition. Some people hate it, I personally enjoy it a lot because it allows things like goblins and orcs to still be threatening to the party at higher levels, you just need to use more of them.
>>
>>49950272
>In fact, they're kind of worse
Depends
My Fiendlock/Favored Soul was competing with our Battlemasters, he had more HPs but I had more to hit and dealt more damage. On the long run he would probably win though, but 5e combats are pretty fast and that favoured me a fucking lot.
>>
>>49950416
The full druid spell progression is nice, but all druids get that. Moon druids specifically get a better wild shape, where they get buckets of effectively temporary HP and probably a slightly better melee attack, but inability to cast new spells and probably a shit AC. A lot of moon druids are tempted to turn into something big and then charge into melee, but that's not the best use of their full suite of abilities. They're better off turning a teammate into something huge with Polymorph and then staying well out of the fight while they concentrate, possibly turning themselves into something huge defensively if the enemy is targeting them.

They're kind of like bladelocks in that respect. They get an ability that lets them survive some melee combat in an emergency, though nowhere near as well as a dedicated melee fighter and dealing nowhere near as much damage as they could with spells, and little kids get overexcited about this and want to play them exactly like a fighter.
>>
>>49950465

If there's a bunch of orks sitting in the room, he can't just waltz past them without having a way of getting concealment.

Does he have a source of invisibility? Keep in mind that if you are not concealed from a foe you simply can not hide from it. It's impossible to hide from enemies who have blindsight, for example.
>>
>>49950465
Don't use low level shit if he's an 11th level, there're enemies and monsters that have more than +5 to perception. Also, statistically, someone is going to nothing him.
>>
>>49950487
Battlemasters should have massively higher burst than the sorclock (unless he conserved his maneuvers because counters).
>>
>>49950474
>both PCs and NPCs/monsters
>NPCs/monsters
Yeah, seeing monsters with 30 to stats and +19 to hit is totally bounded accuracy
>>
I have been away from /tg/ for a while does 5e have a manual of the planes yet.

Have they even realised no sourcebooks was a mistake just like 5e as a whole[
>>
>>49950416
What you just said is by level 7 land druids are pretty better than moon druids and they only get better with time.

Moon druids are meat shields. They are best in combat when you have a battlemaster archer or a different ranged build but a barbarian is typically better suited for that role.

What you are correct in saying is that druids have a lot of support versatility, which will always be true - just like Clerics.
>>
>>49950533
You mean the 1 monster that has what bounded accuracy lists as "god-like" ability scores, the terrasque?

Sounds about right to me.
>>
>>49950465
>Any solutions I could use to prevent this?

come up with more interesting challenges

just assume that if a thing is sitting around waiting to be stolen, the thief will steal it, and structure sessions around that assumption--don't make the robbery the focus of the session, just an simple scene that happens in one or two rolls, and then proceed from there

alternatively, if you absolutely want to have the plot focus on "steal a thing", make the thing be secured in such a way that being really stealthy isn't going to cut it--the thing is locked inside a safe and only the baron knows the combination, for example, or the thing is part of a red dragon's hoard, and the dragon is sleeping directly on top of it

if you go with the latter it's important not to spring it on the player like a "gotcha" moment, you want to broadcast the fact that the problem will require a more creative solution well in advance, so it doesn't feel like you're just butthurt and trying to pull a fast one
>>
>>49950537
The only non-adventure supplements are the EEPC and SCAG.

>no sourcebooks
Maybe they're trying to imitate 1e.
>>
>>49950505
>They're kind of like bladelocks in that respect
Tomelock with shillelagh is better for "ranged caster with some melee combat in case of emergency", bladelock is shit unless you optimize it, but you have to question yourself, is it worth it optimize the shit out of it just for "in case of emergency"?
>>
>>49950197
It's not you vs players, it's you and the players telling a collective story.
Do something amazing.
Have fun
>>
>>49950577
And it has 0 dex save.

I'll need to run the calculation on how many 1st level casters you need to overcome it.
>>
>>49950577
>1
Many monsters have more than 20 on stats, many monsters have more than +11 to hit, the fuck are you talking about? you think is only one? go read the M&M again
>>
Need help designing a ship. It's name is The Swansong, and it's owned by a rich Marid from the Plane of Water (who acts like Hedonism Bot from Futurama).

It's essentially a party boat / yacht, and their taking a tour through the planes on a pleasure cruise.

I'm about to take my players into the Plane of Water, and want to make this ship as fantastical as possible, but it's kinda hard to find art for something like this.

Any ideas or anyone want to take a crack at designing something fitting?

My first thought was it basically being an inside out whale, or it was this huge Clam being pulled by twin Albino Aboleths or something. Just trying to go nuts with it.
>>
>>49950522
>Also, statistically, someone is going to nothing him.
Not with my rolls. I tend to use few but powerful enemies, and when I have 4 Ogres sitting in a room, I only get 4 rolls, and if she rolls 15 or more (Which isn't unlikely given her advantage) she is sitting on a score of 28, which is very unlikely to be noticed.

>>49950510
"Dungeons", as in "Mostly dark and lit with a few torches".

There are tons of shadows, and denying the use of those for the purpose of stealth, is akin to taking stealth away from her.

She is never allowed to use it in a well lit room with no intervening objects, but that very rarely happens, and suddenly using large empty and well-lit rooms seems a tad heavy handed, not to mention that the times I've done this, she has literally just made a dash through the room, and then just vanished by hiding somewhere after getting past the un-sneakable room.

I guess I could use it a few times, just to force a lot of wasted time on them... might make the tactic less attractive if they risk spending a good hour sneaking through a dungeon, only to find the second last room being impossible to sneak past for some reason, like a locked gate. Stills seems a bit too heavy handed and an obvious attempt at stopping her from soloing the dungeons, but it's better than not actually having the option of making dungeon crawls with actual combat.
>>
>>49950505
Backup options masquerading as main options are probably the biggest remnant of ivory tower game design still in 5e. You have to have a fairly deep knowledge of the system to understand the ways that a bladelock, moon druid, or valor bard is better off casting spells than making melee attacks, or that an eldritch knight or arcane trickster is not a primary spellcaster. With the new players I've played with, they seem to try every option on their character sheet more-or-less at random each round, including their backup weapons that they don't realize are backup weapons. And I guess I can't blame them - it seems like rational behavior to take every option for a test drive when you have no experience with any of them.
>>
>>49950538
Land Druid doesn't get to be a tough onion while they concentrate on Conjure Animal / Polymorph.
>>
>>49950475
>>49950474
>GM wants to translate old 3.5 game
>Your 55 str barbarian who was throwing stuff at people can't do absolutely any of that stuff
I wonder why so many retards out there want and force their players to translate games when in 99% of the situations aint going to work.
>>
>>49950643
>4 Ogres
>Against an 11th level PC
Anon, the fuck are you doing, of course you aren't going to beat him, you're using threats way below his CR
>>
>>49950598
Irrelevant. A shillelock is still better off spamming Eldritch Blast, just like a druid of an kind is better off casting spells than closing in with Shillelagh.
>>
I'm new to dnd, I made a girdling warlock, great old one, level 4

I took intimidation and deception, vicious mockery and diosnant whispers. Prestiditation and druidcraft, with thaim from my race

My question is: using awakened mind, could I use intimidate or deception and any combination of the skills above to cause a bandit to freak out and attack his allies?

Like I want to whisper in his mind and deceive/intimidate him by making him believe that his buddies will kill him the first chance they get.
>>
>>49950595
>the thing is locked inside a safe and only the baron knows the combination
>What is thieves tools and obscene amounts of bonuses to opening safes.

Don't ever fucking do this to a thief. Setting up a vault/chest/safe in front of them, and telling them "Nop, you can't unlock it, you need a password" is akin to telling the wizard he can't cast his own spells before he gets someone to tell him he can.
>>
>>49950669
You're Tomelock, shillelagh is literally free for you and valuable, of course you're going to EB spam, that's why I said shillelagh is better Oh shit cantrip than optimizing bladelock. 1 Cantrip vs 2 invocations, rising Str, picking shitty subclass.
>>
>>49950668
>Anon, the fuck are you doing, of course you aren't going to beat him, you're using threats way below his CR
>Thinking an entire fucking species has identical stats
????

Are you fucking retarded?

You don't have "veteran" goblins? Scout goblins, gladiator goblins, warlock goblins, etc?

Holy shit, you better be baiting or memeing me here, there is no way anyone is this fucking stupid.
>>
>>49950465
Sneaking only works if the Thief has concealment; if he is in plain view of a monster--no matter his sneak roll--he's automatically detected. You could also grant particularly perceptive creatures expertise in Perception as well, if you're worried about it--but use is sparingly and only where it would make sense.
>>
>>49950616
Since the post said "30" why would I talk about creatures with strength over 20 and +11 to hit?

The whole point of bounded accuracy is to give set target numbers for the type of creature. Huge legendary creatures have over 20 strength, so do 20th level barbarians.

1 is hobbled, 10 is average, 30 is God-like. That is the bounded range for stats.

CR 0 is not a real threat, CR 30 is a world wide threat.

10AC is bad 30AC is really good.

It's fucking simple.
>>
File: J2bGztsA7I.png (50KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
J2bGztsA7I.png
50KB, 520x390px
Can you guys give me an example of what kind of artifacts you think a Fire Giant would make?
>>
>>49950465
Blindsense? Tremorsense?
>>
>>49950688
My friends are calling bullshit and the DM says he'll listen to what you guys say

We are all new
>>
>>49950595
Guess what? Shape Water to the rescue!

https://youtu.be/9HjHG8InQ-8?t=1m
>>
>>49950753
Hmm, I'll probably look into this. I kinda assumed blindsense would be pointless, seeing as it has a very limited range.

I honestly don't remember tremorsense. What's the range on that, and what creatures have that?
>>
>>49950724
Then put more than a fucking +5 to perception to your so called "veteran" ogres if you're going to come up with those monsters anyway.
>>
>>49950742
A lava lamp
>>
>>49950724
>Complains about ogres not having enough perception to catch the rogue
>When he just mades them from scrach
>Calls others retarded
The question is...are you?
>>
>>49950688
>>49950759
Awakened Mind give you telepathy. You can use Intimidate or deception with it and even Persuasion. It's just a different language.
Vicious Mockery and Dissonant Whispers are spell. You can't use a feature to cast a spell, you just cast the spell.

And in the end, Deception, Intimidation and Persuasion are NOT mind control. You're just deceiveing, intimidating or persuading someone. If the GM think the bandit is stupid enough to listen to a foreign voice in his head and do everything it say, that's his business.
However, I truly believe this is retarded.
>>
Is Adventure's League valid? Returning after a while, this is new to me.
>>
I really want to make a magic user focusing almost entirely on chromatic orb - Which would be best for this purpose?

Sorcerer seems like the obvious choice, but I don't have any experience with spellcasters, so I am not so sure if this is actually the most optimal choice.
>>
>>49950814
What do you mean by valid?
>>
>>49950688
That's not intimidate for sure. You aren't threatening him.

Deception isn't mind control. While they can't catch that you're lying, they don't have to believe you.
>>
>>49950829
Like is it good? Have people here played it? It's just something new that doesn't... Seem new? I don't get the point of it.
>>
>>49950782
>>49950803
That wasn't me, but I do scale up monsters so they fit whatever CR I need them to, but only really in terms of combat power, not changing their archetypes entirely, and Ogres having a high perception doesn't seem too likely...

And seriously, having a +5 prof. bonus is already pretty high, considering the players only have +4.
>>
4e was poetry
>>
>>49950804
Ok, I wasn't try to mind control or turn him, just cause like a panic attack and make the bandit freak out. Playing a spooky old God warlock and I have deception and intimidation as my skills

My party is currently imprisoned and I was trying to think of a way to make a distraction or kill a guard. I didn't know if telepathy you could change your voice or if he was hearing the voice talk in his head for a night and deceiving him.

Not like mid combat
>>
>>49950688
>>49950759
It is reasonable that you could terrify an NPC using your telepathy. It is not reasonable to presume that this would cause the NPC to attack his friends. It just doesn't follow that you could make him do such a thing. The most plausible outcome would be that the NPC becomes frightened of you, which is a term with a specific in-game definition. A character who is frightened of you can't willingly move closer to you, and it has disadvantage on attacks and ability checks as long as it can see you. Aside from those constraints, the DM decides what the NPC does - he might flee, he might attack you from range, or he might choose other targets.

Deception checks, whether they're delivered through speech or telepathy, aren't all-powerful. There are some things that nobody is going to except even if someone rolls a natural 20 on Deception and has a really high modifier. Even if you come up with a plausible reason to make an NPC distrust his allies, he's not going to turn on them in the middle of combat. He's going to seek verification. The DM is also likely to impose disadvantage on any Deception or Persuasion checks delivered to a hostile enemy in the middle of a fight.
>>
>>49950780
Are you sure you are looking at appropriate CR?
Stuff like
Remorhaz (CR11) has 60ft tremorsense
Adult White Dragon (CR13) has 60ft blindsight.
>>
>>49950780
Depends on the creature. Some have 30ft, some have 60ft, like dragons (and about +10 Perception). You cannot sneak up on a dragon. Things like bulletes, purple worms, among others have tremorsense. Truesight is also a thing. Besides, intelligent enemies will set up something like an Alarm spell, and even semi-intelligent creatures could use stuff like that Shrieker fungus.
>>
>>49950879
Telepathy is whatever the DM determine it is. It can be your voice, a different voice, an unnerving voice... It depends on the DM really. It's not specified.

You could very well make him freak out with Intimidation or Deception however. Or using Deception to persuade him you're a ultra powerful wizard and Persuasion to give you the keys or something
>>
>>49950851
>Ogres having a high perception doesn't seem too likely...
That's why you don't use Ogres if you want any chance at catching a thief. Besides, maybe you should look at this the other way. Yes, she can go in easily and grab the item, but what if the item is trapped to trigger a cave demolition Indiana Jones style?
>>
>>49950909
Blindsight sees through illusions and other visual tricks, not a thief using cover.

Tremorsense would work though.
>>
>>49951004
Well, if he has Blidnsight because he's using his scent to see, you have to use another tactic to bypass it. A visual cover won't work.
>>
>>49950912
This sounds like a couple of good ideas, thanks.

Now I just need to implement them without getting the thief killed, and that might stop them from trying that again.

>>49950967
Because the enemies aren't suicidal psychopaths who would want their hideout to collapse on itself in case some idiot knocked the item off its pedestal?
>>
>>49950888
Thanks, I was trying to do that old God whisper shit on a guard all night and get him to sperg, and there are 3 guards

Is there any advantage of using awakened mind? Will they know who sent the message?

Probably borders on brainwashing/mind control since I thought telepathy was unique
>>
>>49951063
That's "keen smell" a distinct trait that gives advantage on Perception checks by smell.

Blindsight is magical Darkvision+ where fog and shit doesn't work.
>>
>>49951004
Are you sure you aren't thinking about truesight?
>>
Gnolls are my favorite monster race.

Does anybody have any neato originalish ideas for fitting them into my next campaign?
>>
Refining the cleave rule:

Whenever you make a melee attack, you can choose to cleave if your weapon deals bludgeoning or slashing damage,does not have the finesse rule.

Cleave:
instead of you making an attack roll, your attack's target, and any creatures adjacent to that creature within your weapon's reach make a dexterity saving throw against 8+Your Proficiency Bonus+Your Strength Modifier. On a failure, they take damage equal to your weapon's damage forumula, with all damage dice reduced by 1 grade. For example, a d12 becomes a d10, which becomes a d8, which becomes a d6, which becomes a d4, which becomes a 1. The damage is slashing or bludgeoning, as appropriate for your weapon. On a successful save, a creature takes no damage

I'd also like to work a piercing type rule, maybe even for ranged weapons so people can impale multiple enemies on spears and such, but it seems way too complicated for simple 5e right now.
>>
>>49951149
I thought that when a creature had blindisight it was because it's relying on something else to see.
Like the bat, with echolocation. How do you hide from it with visual cover?
>>
>>49950454
Actually it hasn't been printed yet, surprised nobody recognised my classic edited owlbear statblock copypasta
>>
>>49951133
In the world of D&D where supernatural stuff is a known fact of life, they will at least understand that something like magic is happening. It's up to your DM to determine whether they can tell that the messages are coming from you. Maybe they'll roll Insight, or maybe they'll conclude that you're the one "putting a spell on them" since you're the only one who looks like a spellcaster.

Telepathy in D&D is explicitly not mind control. It's only good for sending (and sometimes receiving) messages. The only spells and abilities that can control other people's actions are the ones that explicitly say so. If you stalk a guard and send telepathic messages into his mind, he's not going to obey them or assume they're his own thoughts; he'll probably just raise the alarm and report to his superiors that someone's magically sending him messages.
>>
>>49951183
My gnolls are a group that have taken over a little portion of the setting, and are currently being courted by several other evil factions, with the intention of using them as fodder--I mean, vanguard, elite, troops for the coming war against all that is good and nice.

There's another group that's taken over an old prison, and are raiding the countryside to kidnap people to feed to their God.
>>
>>49950638
Make it on the back of a Dragon Turtle. With the captain someone with dominate monster suped up to control it.
>>
>>49951206
Makes sense. I rolled a tall & gaunt charlatan warlock, what exactly can deception do? I have a general understanding of intimidate.
>>
>>49951185
How come you don't want Dex users to use it?
>>
File: snowplows_10x1.jpg (19KB, 468x370px) Image search: [Google]
snowplows_10x1.jpg
19KB, 468x370px
>>49950189
>they even form a plow when putted side by side
HERE COMES THE PAIN TRAIN!!! CHOOO!!! CHOOOOOOOO!!!!
>>
>>49950822
Sorcerer would be best cause you can twin it. Maybe ask your DM if you can twin it multiple times by expending even more sorcery points. You can burn a lot but it will fucking hurt.
>>
>>49951179
He's definitely thinking about Truesight, is Tremorsense even in this edition?
>>
Blindsight can't see through illusions, can it? What's stopping a party to fool a dragon with disguise self or similar stuff?
>>
>>49951366
Not him but Dex is too good already, might as well let Str have something (other than grappling which is usually meh)
>>
>>49950848
I've played it. It's alright. It keeps everyone from being super overpowered with good stat rolls. But it limits your choices. It makes human variant really really good.
>>
>>49951404
>dex is too good meme
Unkess you want to deal melee damage like in this case
>>
>>49951361
You know, lying. Saying things that aren't true, or bluffing at poker or something. In your case, convincing people that you are NOT a creepy servant of beings so nasty they make demons seem friendly.
>>
>>49950465
Its not skyrim. She cant just crouch and wall slowly through the middle of the room regardless of what she rolls. She needs at the very least some dark ass shadows. The easiest solution is some five foot wide passages with a bad guy in them.
>>
>>49951393
It means you can discern things through means of other than yor eyes. Your disguise would have to cancel however he is seeing you. Ask your DM. He could be able to smell you perfectly where you are, or hear exactly where you are. Or inset magic here.
>>
>>49951387
I'd allow it with the caveat along the lines of the caster taking XHD psychic damage in mana burn for every sorcery point beyond the initial twinning.

Or even a level of exhaustion or something.
>>
>>49951391
Yeah. Earth Elemental has it.
>>
>>49951437
being in dark ass shadow wouldn't bypass creature with darkvision though. She need a cardboard box.
>>
>>49951509
With the skulker feat you can hide in lightly obscured areas, also known as shadow. But I'm not sure if DMs would agree to that.
>>
>>49951444
Riiight. If the party had already met the dragon he could easily recognize them by their smell. I guess illusions are off the table, then, unless the party went through all the trouble of somehow masking everything that could give them away.
>>
>>49950272
The problem with limiting wizards to a single school each is that nobody would pick them without a massive class / spell list overhaul.
>>
>>49951366
little bit of balance concerns, but mostly because cleaving through people seems like a very strength based thing to do, at least to me.
>>
>>49951183
Do they have to be CE? If so, the bad guy has fucked with their God, so they are going out to fuck him. If CN, then just have them be typical bandits or low class races.
>>
>>49951621
>5'3 halfing rogue
>"I'm gonna cleave those three orcs in half with my rapier, my dex score is high enough and I'm hidden so I have advantage"

but using strength for intimidate is literally just cheating
>>
>>49951437
And thus the thief gained a few levels as a shadowmonk.
>>
>>49951183
Use the Fangs of Yeenoghu, they can turn hyenas into gnolls when they eat creatures that the Fangs killed.
Have them based in a desert or something like that raiding civilized societies to slaughter the denizens and create more gnolls to raise an army.
>>
>>49951621
Well, what you are describing isn't an attack, so sneak attack, hunter's mark, colossus slayer, horde breaker, you can't even use superiority dice with it can't be used.

Even if you allowed Dex people to use it, a rogue moving with blinding speed and slashing three goblins in front of him with one swing, no Dex person in their right mind would, cause it doesn't proc the good shit.
>>
>>49951665
Str for intimidate is in the book dude
>>
>>49951694
Not that guy but can I see some source for this? I'm all for it and if there is a rule I missed I'm happy there is.
>>
'Guardians of the Wood
Jungle elves have a natural kinship with the jungle. While in a jungle or a forest, you ignore difficult terrain caused by natural phenomena such as dense foliage or deep swamps. In addition, climbing trees does not incur a movement penalty.'

Is this too strong for a racial trait?
>>
Any thoughts on the revised ranger at this point? We had a player using it, but there wasn't much combat since we implemented it, and he is died in our first big combat since switching over.
>>
>>49951391
Blindsight would mean that you don't see with light, so any light based visual trickery doesn't work.

Illusions would just not even show up to a creature with blindsight while true sight would let you identify them as illusions along with other things.
>>
>>49951665
Sure, why not, rogues deal shit damage
>>
>>49951773
Nah that's fine
>>
>>49951195
Because the bat "sees" the wall you are hiding behind and not you. You get bats out of your house by holding blankets up and slowly closing the walls around it until it flies out of a door.
>>
>>49949883
What teh feg
>>
>>49949883
Tantrums look badges now, God I love the mm arts of this edition. Now if only the pub art could be of the same quality.
>>
>>49951789
But a creature that has both normal sight and blindsight, would an illusion create enough of a contradiction in their senses that they would easily realize something weird was going on?
>>
>>49951183
Depends; do you want them as the Chaotic Evil beat-em-up race, ala their traditional role? Or do you want them as a potential PC race? That defines what answers we can give you.
>>
>>49951747
The game suggests using alternate ability scores for skills when appropriate. For example, should the barbarian make an intimidation check using a display of strength, then Strength may be more appropriate than Charisma. Alternatively, if the player attempts to convince someone of something using raw facts and logic rather than charm, maybe they would use Intelligence rather than Charisma for their persuasion check.
>>
>>49951747
PHB 175, it's a "variant" but so are feats and V-Humans so whatever
>>
>>49951788
kek
it's good, your player is a spaz
>>
>>49951849
I'd say so
>>
>>49951849
Up to the DM. I would personally say so.

I have a player in CoS with the blindsight dark gift and I've worked through a lot of distinction from darkvision.
>>
So I'm playing a level 3 warlock pirate that just received a book from the devil that gives him extra spellcasting and has the name of the pirates that he's vowed revenge on. His three cantrips are viscous mockery spoken in infernal and reskinned as dark speech, guidance that's flavored as whispers from beyond granting aid, and shillelagh that he uses on a belaying pin from his first ship. I'm having a blast playing this character and I just wanted to share.
>>
>>49951938
>viscous mockery

"You're so sticky."
"Is that phlegm or a picture of your mother?"
"I've been fighting since before you were a dribble in your father's pantaloons."
>>
Where do these spoilers for Volo keep coming from?
>>
>>49952007
Where do any spoilers come from these days?

The answer is reddit
>>
>>49951869
>>49951857
Ah ok, yeah I can see that, I should bring it up to my DM more, see if they can give me that.
>>
>>49951788
It's a lot damn better than the standard one, pretty fucking good as a multi class dip too.
>>
>>49952007
WotC are releasing them, they're on the website
>>
So the players are messing around with an adult withe dragon, will probably fight him later. Dragon breathes, not even at the players, but one of the PCs gets caught in the blast.

>68 cold damage
>Party wizard has 35 HP

Well, the actual fight should be fun.
>>
>>49951183
I like my gnolls to be an option for PCs. I generally make them similar to the the Dothraki from a song of ice and fire.
>>
File: oh.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
oh.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>49952025
Yikes, you're one cold DM!
>>
>>49952025
>Wizard
>ever being in range of anything

You have Int 16+, how can you be this stupid?
>>
>>49952025
A single rogue 6 levels behind it can beat it
>>
>>49952025
My Drow Rogue managed to beat one solo, they aren't even that hard
>>
>>49950742
A ring of Cold resistance and a Wand of Winter.
>>
>>49952020
Which website? On both dnd.wizards.com and the tumblr, they've only shown off those four images (I think of a kirin, some cultist, a flail snail, and a beholder-kin)
>>
>>49950029
You're the bards and nobles guy?
I listened. It's not bad. Will probably keep listening if you keep posting.
>>
>>49952054
>>49952066
>>
>>49952025
Almost but not quite an instant kill. Fun, though.

In my games, each dragon type has a specific treat that they can't resist, which makes for some interesting moments.

Party: "We have brought you, o great and powerful white dragon, an offering of peppermint!"

Dragon: "...go on."
>>
>>49952066
I remember your story, you were both really lucky and your DM probably went a bit easy on you. How did you survive the breath weapon? Was it that unlucky with recharges?

>>49952052
kek

>>49952053
That's what happens, I hope. But dragons are rather mobile and their breaths go a long way.
>>
>>49952099
That's me! Trying to keep it 45 minutes to an hour in length, so we can get at LEAST 2 episodes per session. We play bi-weekly, but want to consistently upload every week.

I'll post the newest ones on Monday.
>>
>>49952122
It was a mix of impossible luck and GM not having the slightest idea of what a dragon could do
>>
>>49952091
There are actually three previews on there.
Can't remember where the other previews were, sorry. I think one of the devs tweets them?
I know I saw one on some clickbait site like Polygon.
>>
File: dragonBlue.jpg (127KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
dragonBlue.jpg
127KB, 1000x700px
>>49952066 >>49952054
Actual player of drow rogue here. This was all I wanted to ever see: recognition. You know what they say about publicity...

It may please you to know that this Sunday she'll be going up against a blue dragon, but with only 22 hit points, all her Luck Points and drow magic already expended, dagger of venom already expended, and no healing potions; AND she'll be doing this in an open town where the dragon has tons of room to maneuver.

Most of the rest of the party is in an impregnable magic tower and doesn't want to leave. The party's Ranger is willing to fight the dragon, but is just as injured and so my rogue sent him back to the tower to try and get SOME kind of backup.

I fully expect her to die, but one does not just stand aside and let a dragon kill villagers. Superman doesn't step in front of bullets because he's bulletproof, and when I wrote down "Chaotic Good" for alignment, I meant both parts.

Current plan is to make extensive use of hiding ability (but then, the dragon's Perception is almost as good as my rogue's Stealth) to see if I can find where the town kept its cure potions, if indeed it had any; and to see about trying to get the villagers to safety.

The only things I really have going for me is a still-active Potion of Fire Giant Strength and 2 vials of wyvern poison.

Wish me luck...

>>49952025
In actuality, depending on the level of the encounter, this is a very challenging, possibly impossible fight. My drow rogue got lucky in a variety of ways (good rolls, DM making a few mistakes, etc.), nothing more nor less. Still a Hell of a fight.
>>
>>49952206
Huh, I remember your Blue Dragon post, didn't know it was the same guy
Good luck, you'll need it
>>
Retrofitting job-switching in 5e: skill-and-attack-based XP, class feature mixing and matching, unlocking archetypes and classes with basic job levels, and coming up with a believable in-world explanation for all of this.

Am I leaving anything out?
>>
>>49952206
Goddamn shut the fuck up.
>>
>>49952288
The part where it isn't dumb and crazy. What the he'll are you even suggesting?
>>
>>49950742
Flame tongue, belt of fire giant strength? And probably platemail +1.
>>
>>49951665
How exactly do you cleave with a rapier?

Anyways, according to the proposed rule, rapiers deal piercing damage and are finesse, so they wouldn't work for 2 more reasons.
>>
>>49950181
>ACTIONS
>Multiattack. The Flail Snail makes three attacks with its flails.
>Flails. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage.

>Challenge 3 (700 XP)

Nice TPK-maker u got there :)
>>
>>49952288
Sounds like a bit of a mess.
>>
>>49952332
Letting people escape the class shackles and adapt their characters to the needs of the moment.
>>
>>49952353
Piercing through the enemy till you hit the dude behind him?
>>
>>49952362
bro it's a meme I didn't actually balance it
>>49951205
>>
>>49952366
So what, turning d&d into a final fantasy job system? Sure why not, but don't pretend it makes any damn sense if it's not somehow supernatural.

Are they just spending xp in class tracts or what?
>>
>>49951788
I've played a revised ranger since it came out. It seems solid. It still doesn't have the damage output of a paladin, but ignoring all difficult terrain, having advantage on initiative, and having Favored Enemy actually do something makes it more fun to play.
>>
>>49952369
Not that guy, but I wouldn't allow that in games cause that would give the impression that you are doing much more damage than d6+Dex, following the rules in the concept.

I'd make it just slashing weapons, and it doesn't proc anything fancy and anyone can use it.

If they were really against Dex using it then just say you have to use your strength score for the hit. It doesn't even proc rage damage its so meh that it feels like it should be in the game already.
>>
>>49951689
Well, no rogue or ranger would. It's still arguably worth it for barbarians, fighters, and paladins who aren't smiting. You deal lower single target damage, but higher total damage as a reward for good positioning, and exposing yourself to more frequent attacks.

>>49952369
That's how I'd imagine it too, but the distances don't measure up as easily for cleaving.

Because a rapier is maybe 3 feet long. which means you'd have to shove your hand through the enemy, and it would have to occupy the enemy behind its space.

For a spear or javelin, or ranged weapon, it makes more sense, but i haven't thought of a simple implementation for the rule yet.
>>
>>49952412
I think bludgeoning could work for it, desu nobody seems to ever use bludgeoning unless they have to for some reason
>>
>>49952206
Oh wow, I'm happy your campaign is still going, cause I'm also running Tyranny of Dragons. Just on the last chapter of Hoard now, they're about to fight Rezmir. Really looking forward to it, we stopped just before rolling initiative.

Why the hell is the rest of your party holed up in the tower while there's a blue dragon rampaging this village? These heroes of today... I know more or less what's going on, by the way, because I've read through the adventure. I assume your party was caught off guard by this dragon after having expended their resources going through the tower?
>>
>>49952412
And if I use a hand axe would be ok even though it's still 1d6+Str? Seems pretty arbitrary bullshit imo, do whatever you want, but don't expect people agreeing with you
>>
I'm joining a session as lvl 2, I've decided my class as a warlock, I don't really see how useful pact of the blade or chain is, so I picked tome.

What evocations and spells are decent picks for a first time player?
>>
File: darek-zabrocki-knight2.jpg (353KB, 1061x1500px) Image search: [Google]
darek-zabrocki-knight2.jpg
353KB, 1061x1500px
What would the best class/feats/race and skills to make a Mounted combat work. I just want to be on a mount 24/7.
>>
How do you guys typically determine attribute scores at the beginning of a game? Point buy? Rolling? Predetermined sets?
>>
>>49952583
Roll for scores, in order, no do-overs, you have to pick your class before rolling
>>
>>49952583
point buy, or using rolls to determine an array for the players to use.

>>49952591
calm down, satan
>>
>>49949883
What is the release date on Volo's anyways?

Also a question: Would you guys consider a player who grapples an opponent and then uses that opponent who is grappled to club other enemies as using an improvised weapon?
>>
>>49952564
Be small, ride a spider. You won't get advantage on a lot of things, but you can get your mount into places your DM might try to deny yo.

Paladin is good for mounts as they have auras to buff their mount. Try devotion/ancients.
>>
>>49952536
Hex is pretty good, it will teach you about bonus actions and action economy. Hellish Rebuke and Armor of Agathys could be good to teach you about combat.

Invocations the safest ones you will want are Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast.

This makes you into pretty much an Eldritch Blast machine with good defense incase anything gets close to you.
>>
>>49952612
>>49952564
Oh, and, small creatures can use lances just fine.

Alternatively, play a medium creature and use a horse. Having advantage on all medium or smaller creatures is good on a paladin because critical smites are delicious,and best on 1d12/2d6 weapons. Though champion works well with that too... Champions are still pretty lame. You can always go champion3/paladin17 half-orc if you really insist on being a critical bastard,
>>
>>49952591
You sound like a faggot.
>>
>>49952651
You sound like a munchkin
>>
>>49950465
Unless your treasures are guarded by zombies, your guards are not retards. In those few instances where stealth IS broken, it doesn't matter if he hides again, everyone should be on high alert for an intruder. Also, there must certainly be spots where a stealth check is either inconceivable or would require much higher rolls to perform, like hiding in a narrow hallway with guards on both sides. Add some guards with decent perception checks, or jsut mix up the challenge so instead of jsut waltzing in by himself he needs the fighter or wizard with him to hit a switch with him simultaneously or stop a falling ceiling or summon a bride outta nowhere.
>>
>>49952609
November 15, or November 4 for Wizards-affiliated stores.
>>
>>49952654
Nah, fag, I just don't think having an uncontrollable possibility of playing a character who has a negative modifier in their prime requisite is a good idea.
>>
>>49952591
What sort of games do you run?

>>49952583
Point buy/array for longer games.
Rolling for each specific stat for Ultra Fun Mode when people are fine with dying earlier and aren't really irritatingly sure they want to do something super specific and the players are good players.
Rolling for stats for perhaps a one-shot or something.
>>
>>49952675
Real players adapt, MMO players reroll
>>
>>49952362
At level 3, you can probably get around 17 AC if you're making a defensive build. That gives the flail snail about a 50% chance to hit with each of its three melee attacks. Expect the DM to be "kind" enough to spread the attacks around if multiple players melee with it, but to take an average of 21 damage per turn if you're the only melee player engaged with this thing.
At level 3, a fighter with 10 Con would have 22 hit points, although what fighter has only 10 Con?

So there's a small chance the Flail Snail can knock over a level 3 melee fighter in a single round of combat. Pray the thing doesn't crit.

60hp means a level 3 fighter isn't taking this thing down on his own in one or even two turns. A party of four or more that ganged up on it could probably dish out that much damage in two turns, and again, if your DM is generous, he'll spread out the attacks. Four PCs can probably spread out three 14-damage attacks among themselves at level 3.

What really bothers me though is the 40ft. base speed. This is the kind of creature that screams "Kite me!" but the party is going to have a seriously hard time just keeping it at the right distance for ranged attacks. Plus those Keen Senses means you're seriously unlikely to get the drop on this thing with the entire party--maybe a rogue could get in one sneak attack then Cunning Action the hell away from it.
>>
>>49952675
>oh look I just got 6 intellect
>better make a wizard
Good job
You can actually make viable fighters with 5str/5dex, or a viable wizard with 5 int. It's fun.
>>
>>49952690
Please stop.
>>
>>49952697
>viable
>5 in your most important score
By multiclassing out of that shit as soon as possible?
>>
>>49952564
Basically anything works well mounted, but obviously Variant Human with Mounted Combatant is pretty good, and the extra movement from horses is really good for characters that want to keep a distance.
Just be warned your DM won't let you take your mount everywhere unless it's a small mount like >>49952612 said. I'd talk with your DM about what kind of combat you're expecting, because mounted combat is pretty shitty in small cramped areas (like having a lance in tournaments in Mount & Blade).
>>
>>49952663
I'm assuming I can just look on the website to figure out where a "Wizards-affiliated store" is, ja?
>>
>>49952583
Elite array only (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.) I used to allow point-buy until I discovered that my players are either cheating or can't do math for shit.
>>
>>49952362
>walking up to a fucking flail snail and willingly taking all those fucking hits

Fucking bladelocks, barbarians, 'I must enter melee combat!' rogues, str paladins/fighters.
Always running right up to danger when everyone else is sensible enough to kill it before it gets anywhere near.
>>
>>49952729
http://locator.wizards.com/#brand=dnd

Totally
>>
>>49952714
You can play any kind of caster with 8 in their spellcasting ability score, easily. Just don't bother learning any save-or-suck spells.
>>
>>49952690
The important thing is to have fun. You can make allowances for a character that's slow or has a glass jaw by playing defensively or just taking risks, but a character that simply can't accomplish anything is a different matter.
>>
>>49952495
A hand axe uses strength for the melee attacks. It isn't finesse, so the rule would allow it.

Why is it arbitrary to restrict finesse weapons and piercing weapons when cleaving is the exact opposite of both of those things?
>>
>>49952740
Or spells that need an attack roll. Or spells that use that Ability Score Modifier to determine duration or magnitude of effects.
>>
>>49952714
You can't multiclass out of your class unless you have 13 in it.

Fighter can make themselves viable by stupid critical shenangians such as the HEAVY CROSSBOW TO THE FACE with -10 to hit, wizard can be viable by using spells that just fucking work without caring about their int modifier (such as magic missile or 'identify' or 'shield' or whatever)
>>
>>49952739
My nigga. Thanks dude.
>>
>>49952714
You can't multiclass out if your primary score is too low.
>>
>>49952714
Easy. Play a gish and pump dexterity, use your spells to apply combat buffs.
>>
>>49950643
Oi dickhaed, what type of vision do ogres have, because shadows sure as shit don't do fuck all against darkvision.
>>
>>49952769
>critical shenanigans
Yes. Let's bet everything on a 5% chance.
>>
File: D&D Campaign 1 Town Map.png (34KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
D&D Campaign 1 Town Map.png
34KB, 1920x1080px
I'm the guy from the other day asking for ideas on what mischief an imp/homonculus could get up to. Here's my town.
>>
>>49952775
Assuming your Dexterity is worthwhile, if you had to roll in order and choose your class first.
>>
File: D&D Campaign 1 Region Map.png (19KB, 1434x882px) Image search: [Google]
D&D Campaign 1 Region Map.png
19KB, 1434x882px
>>49952810
And here's my region.
>>
>>49952800
>champions have 10% chance of crit
>almost 20% chance of crit when they have advantage through some mechanism
>>
>>49952828
Champions also suck ass for damage as compared to other fighters, even with good ability scores.
>>
>>49952828
Plus don't fighters have a bunch of extra attacks?
>>
>>49952857
Eventually
>>
>>49950724
So... Maybe mentioning that and their stats would have been nice?
>>
>>49952851
If you use the RAI that crits automatically hit (By RAW they don't) then doubling your hit chance is fucking brilliant as a level 3 feature.

Best if you can multiclass out of champion, but you'll have so low a stat you couldn't.

So, if you were a fighter and had 3 strength and 3 dexterity, you'd wear heavy armour and become a champion.

>>49952857
Those aren't really worth factoring in, as those are extra attacks that everybody benefits from to some degree (though some classes get a 'bonus X if you hit this turn, but not more than once a turn').
The idea here is that crits increase the hit chance when you have -15 to hit or something stupid.
>>
>>49952810
a village is usually way more spread out, and the only sorts of zoning it will have will be shops near roads. If there are any dwellings, it will be in the businesses, in a back room or upper room, or attached.

most of the population will be farmers, who come into town for supplies or send their kids for religious schooling. (You forgot a church). That is to say, most of the dwellings will be outside of the village.

Also, the apple orchard seems really small. You could probably get away with a plantation type village, where there's a huge orchard and all the "dwellings" are on the orchard owner's land, where they sharecrop.

>>49952816
No complaints here except the pond stream river system seems weird. Is the pond fed by the river, or does it feed the river? If the latter, why does the stream flow towards the mountains? If the former, what feeds the pond?
>>
>>49952851
Your crit chance essentially becomes 200/300% higher -- you will crit roughly 2-3x as much. With 4 attacks at 20th level, a champion has a 48% chance to crit with at least one attack. A battlemaster only 19%. This increases to 73% (Champion) and 33% (Battlemaster) with advantage.
That many not sound like much, but that's roughly 2.5x as many bonus attacks from Great Weapon Master feat, more damage die from your weapons, and even more damage from Savage Attacker. It all adds up.
A max level battle master gets an extra 6d12 damage, or an extra avg ~40damage per short rest.
A single extra crit from a Half-Orc Champion with a Flame Tongue (Rare) Great Sword and the Great Weapon Master feat deals an extra 9d6 +15 damage, avg 46.5, blowing the battlemaster out of the water.
This is a simplification, other factors still apply. But the idea is that, yes, just extra crit isn't that great. But it's not just an extra crit, it's the other bonuses you can add to those crits that make it overpowering.
>>
File: 1477412833395.jpg (1MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1477412833395.jpg
1MB, 1440x900px
So a question for DM and Players how much do you guys steal from other source materials when making characters/settings/backstories etc.

My DM has a lot of encounters based on Berserk but I don't want to call him out on it. Just want to get the feeling on how normal it is to use other works for your own ideas.
>>
>>49952955
No idea is original, any longer. Stealing from other games, shows, and stuff doesn't matter as long as its fun. Calling them on it, though, is boring and annoying.
>>
>>49952955
I didn't realize how much I steal from TES until I counted up how many of my campaigns involve a long descent or ascent through a tower involving heavy amounts of clockwork.

So far it's all of them. I don't even intend to do it.
>>
>>49952952
Battlemasters started out dealing far more damage than champions. A champion HAS to do all those tricks to be relevant.
>>
>>49952955
My players are currently doing shit in a large dwarven mountainhome that has an arena where stone giants play rugby with giant boulders.
The mountainhome is ruled by a fire giant who delegated power to an Oni and to a Deep Gnome.
I regret nothing.
>>
>>49952955
I steal art from games to put up at the top of roll20 maps to show roughly what the dungeon interior looks like.
>>
>>49952929
Thanks for the in-depth response! I was going for a pretty poor type village. I think it's limping along and being kept afloat by traveling traders and the like. Main sources of revenue are the boysenberry pies (made from the berries obviously, plus lard to be rendered off at the slaughterhouse) and pork.

The quest I have so far is that our two heroes show up (I'm DMing and running a character which I've heard mixed things about. So far the only players are my wife and I and this is a VERY experimental trial process so I'm going to make a lot of mistakes) due to reasons of their own (rogue and warlock) and there's some kind of creature causing mischief in the town. Could be a homonculus or imp, not sure yet. He's doing stuff like stealing pies, freezing crops, cutting the rope to the well (or some other kind of trickery with the well) and in general just being a nuisance. I'm thinking he could be under the command of a minor wizard/sorcerer who lives in the forest (or beyond it) and is trying to settle an old score with the town's mayor (or whoever "rules" the town) and the heroes can choose to solve this problem for the village. They obviously can't pay much due to being so poor, but maybe a room at the inn and some apple ale or mead can suffice for now. I need to figure out some other tasks for the heroes to complete. I'm starting small now.

As for layout this is just a rough sketch in Paint (I'm terrible when it comes to any sort of artwork), and I think you've got a good point about it being a bit too cramped. There's an altar/shelf in front of a door in the basement of the storehouse that's going to require some kind of minor arcane knowledge to open, haven't figured out what I'll put behind it.

I have no idea about religion (yet).

I'm a total newbie if that wasn't obvious.
>>
>>49952982
>"battlemasters do more damage"
>not true, here's the math
>"yeah, but only because of TRICKS!"
>>
>>49952952
Running through the math, I got a '92% chance to hit on one attack' for a level 20 champion with advantage and only crits hit (Say, from foresight given by a friendly caster or something)

Which seems a bit weird, because I ran the math and it is certainly 48% chance to hit without advantage.
Shouldn't the chance to hit at least once with advantage be about 70%?
>>
>>49952955
I steal from literally everything. Even when I don't know I'm doing it.
>>
>>49953059
You didn't show your battle master math. Consider the fact that at level 20, they'll be adding a superiority die in damage to pretty much everything they do, not to mention being able to give themselves advantage or proc a rogue to deal damage on demand.
>>
>>49953059
By the math, battlemasters do more damage for any combat of reasonable length. Champions can catch up to that number with proper builds, but battlemasters have equal access to those methods.
>>
File: 1434036131667.jpg (29KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1434036131667.jpg
29KB, 480x640px
Hey guys, I'm working on a small homebrew addition to the crafting rules in the PHB. Just wanted to know what you thought of it. Just as a reminder, non-magical items can be crafted at 5gp/day per proficient smith, and magical items can be crafted at 25gp/day by proficient spellcasters. I'm also assuming that your standard blacksmith would have 1-3 proficient smiths and 3-7 assistants at any given time depending on their locale, so it's not just one guy crafting stuff by himself.

>Magical Tools
These tools increase the amount of gp/day that can be spent towards crafting mundane items. In addition, a proficient smith who uses one of these tools can hone and improve mundane weapons and armor, creating +1 weapons out of existing mundane weapons as if they were a 3rd level spellcaster. A proficient smith who uses two of these tools can create +2 weapons and +1 armor out of existing +1 weapons and mundane armor as if they were a 6th level spellcaster. A proficient smith who uses three of these tools can create +3 weapons and +2 armor out of existing +2 weapons and +1 armor as if they were an 11th level spellcaster. A proficient smith who uses four of these tools can create +3 armor as if they were a 17th level spellcaster. The smith will still require all magical reagents and materials to craft magical arms and armor.

> +5 gp/day tools
Manual of Artifact Crafting
Incense of Inspiration
Gauntlets of Crafting +1

> +10 gp/day tools
Wind Elemental Billows
Adamantine Tools
Spirit-Blessed Forge

By the DMG's rules, crafting magical items uses the following gp:

Uncommon - 500 gp
Rare - 5,000 gp
Very Rare - 50,000 gp
Legendary - 500,000 gp

These extra tools wouldn't reduce the cost of crafting items, but it would allow for players to seek out famous smiths who can make them magic items more swiftly, or go on adventures just to find these tools in the first place.
>>
>>49952955
practically everything
>>
>>49953054
I'd imagine most of the pork operation is imported: farmers bring in their pigs from outside the village, sell to the butcher, and he might have a deal with some traders to turn a tidy profit.

In general, farmers will want their houses to be on the land they work for security and convenience. is the village in the foothills of the mountains?

If you've ever read Wheel of Time, I'm getting a strong Emond's Fields type vibe from the village you've described.
>>
>comparing champion and battlemaster math when the champion is explicitly for those players who don't optimize and don't break down every decision into math

You're missing the point here. It's like comparing the nutritional value of kale and Twinkies. Only one side is even participating in that competition, so why pretend otherwise?
>>
>>49953176
The champion isn't for those players who don't care. it's for those players who can't stand not using an option for roleplaying reasons. The kind of players that complained when every fighter had superiority die, because it forced them to be complicated. The kinds of players that ruined 5e in the public test by shitposting non stop anytime complexity happened.

Champion fighter is a containment class.
>>
>>49953173
I haven't read WOT but it's always been in my backlog. I'm thinking the mountains taper off into foothills, which taper off into fields, which is where the town sits.
>>
>>49953171
Nigga, when you spend a die, you almost always also get the bonus damage
>>
>>49953110
>>49953118
The problem is it depends on the AC of the enemy.

At later levels, proficiency bonus will increase the to-hit chance from (-5+2) to (-5+6), and magic weapons may increase the chances further.

The crippled champion would do better against enemies the crippled battlemaster can only crit, but the crippled battlemaster can still rally/commander's strike.
The crippled champion would certainly do much better against those enemies, and 'survivor' is a pretty damn good ability if it wasn't so late game.
>>
It's been a while since I've seen this discussion, but I was always under the impression that Champion had better raw damage output but lost the versatility of Battlemaster's maneuvers. And that Champion was more boring to play because of this.
>>
Champions are good if you're not given a lot of rests between fights, or fights are long and drawn out.
>>
>>49953207
All this is true, and yet I find the idea of playing a high level champion whittling down a goddamn army by themselves with hit and run tactics extremely appealing. It'll never actually happen though.
>>
>>49953244
BMs also do more damage in fights up to about 6 rounds (most combats). They can fall behind if short rests are scarce, but not very far behind unless you are playing a build specifically to capitalize on crits.
>>
>>49953244
The slightly increased odds of extra damage compares poorly to just throwing out more damage dice on command.
>>
>>49953244
That's pretty much true.
>>
People seem to have forgotten that the original argument was for a heavily crippled fighter.

Say, ~3 strength and ~3 dex.
>>
>>49953315
Nobody cares.
>>
>>49953315
The followup comment was that Champions weren't good damage dealers to begin with. Being able to hit at all isn't "viable" as was claimed.
>>
>>49953242
You can spend die you don't have.
>>
I don't think I'm creating combats that are challenging enough.

Every single combat in my campaign so far, even the ones I thought would be dangerous, have been a cakewalk for the players. I'm using Kobold Fight Club as a guideline to see how tough a fight would be, but my players don't even seem to be fazed by the "Hard" encounters. None of them have magic items yet.

How do I create tough yet fair encounters, /5eg/?
>>
>>49953315
We're willingly ignoring a ridiculous premise that should never see play.
>>
>>49953315
That fighter will die, with 3 str you can't move if you wear heavy armors.
>>
>>49953321
You can tell nobody cares when someone comes in saying 'No, wait, battlemaster is BETTER' without explaining why battlemaster is specfiically better for a guy who can barely even hit in the first place.
There are some valid arguments such as 'commander's strike' and 'rally' there.

>>49953328
It's viable. It's not optimal, but you can play it like that and still be useful.

>>49953349
One day, when players do 'choose your class, THEN roll stats in order'.
>>
>>49953346
Describe the party and an example of your combats. It's way to involved an issue for general advice to do much.
>>
>>49953346
Describe a typical fight in your campaign.
>>
>>49953346
Make goals in fights that aren't "Reduce the bad guys to 0 HP".

Use your surroundings.

Make smart decisions with your monsters that aren't "bite the big guy".

Hazards, traps, "legendary actions", etc.
>>
>>49953361
Again, a ridiculous premise that should never see play.
>>
Battlemaster is still better even in the crippled fighter situation, because he can sit there and take damage while telling other people to hit things.
>>
>>49953358
You just move slower
Or just play a dwarf and be fine
>>
>>49953361
>It's viable. It's not optimal, but you can play it like that and still be useful.
>useful
>barely able to hit
>what does hit does pitiful damage
>projected over an entire fight, cripplefighter will probably do less damage than a bladelock with no invocations
>>
>>49953358
They can wear ringmail with no speed reduction, and it will still be within their carry capacity.

With 5 strength (more reasonable) they could wear plate armour and move at only -10ft speed.

>>49953389
>implying fun is bad
>>
>>49953395
Yes but if everyone is rolling stats the insane retard way then everyone is likely to be "crippled"
>>
>>49953417
Mechanical masochism isn't for everyone.
>>
>>49953417
>hey guys i wanna be a cripple fighter how can i do this optimally
>"you can't do this optimally"
>it's for fun
>optimal
>fun
>>
>>49953405
>what does hit does pitiful damage
>3d4+15 if you have a -5 str mod and the crossbow fuckery feats and you're a half-orc
>pitiful damage

Sure, it's scraping the bottom of the barrel and using two feats and a particular race (Fuck, orcs get +2 strength. Should've gone variant human.) but it's not pitiful.

I want to believe the bladelock would do less damage.
They probably would if they didn't use BB/GFB.
>>
>>49953455
Let me bring you the definition of 'viable':
"capable of working successfully; feasible."
That does not mean 'optimally'.
>>
>>49953462
That is pretty fucking awful.
>>
File: scan 1.jpg (302KB, 2200x1700px) Image search: [Google]
scan 1.jpg
302KB, 2200x1700px
I made this map for my players to explore this area better.
Do you guys think this looks good?
H - House
W - Warehouse
A - Landmark
M - Merchant
T - Tavern
L - Library
R - Religious Place
F - Forge
This is level 1, where people get into the mountain. Merchant Quarter pretty much.
>>
>>49953404
>>49953417
No, you don't move because you can't even lift it, encumbrance rules anon.
>>
>>49953462
You'll need advantage every turn and multiple attacks before you can approach a regular hit rate. A bladelock that's built normally will do more damage just because he's hitting at least twice as often as you.
>>
>>49953207
Not everything you disagree with is shitposting, anon. Complexity creep is a real issue, especially when it's for the simplest class. If all classes are equally complex you alienate all but the most entrenched munchkins and grognards (see 4e.)
>>
>>49953497
This is Level 2, Giants be here.
C - Mage College
S - School
K - King
>>
>>49953367
>>49953372
>>49953378

Currently they're all only level 4. I have a paladin, a warlock, cleric, and an arcane trickster.

There has only been one "major" fight so far, and a couple of smaller combats. I felt like the "major" combat (at level 3 against a red dragon wyrmling) was completely lackluster. In the last session they fought a band of brigands, which boiled down to the warlock killing most of the mooks in a single well-rolled Burning Hands and the party then wailing on the leader.

Legendary actions (to me) seem like they wouldn't be appropriate at this level.

I want to make the combats more interesting, because I know at least one player in the group prefers that to the storytelling that I'm into.
>>
>>49953497
I think it looks good, anon. Be sure to have a good idea of what is in each area, and be ready to improvise if players come up with stuff you weren't expecting (e.g your Rogue decides to break into someone's house.)

>>49953524
You forgot your pic.
>>
File: scan 2.jpg (181KB, 2200x1700px) Image search: [Google]
scan 2.jpg
181KB, 2200x1700px
>>49953524
Herp derp, here is picture.
>>
>>49953514
If you think 4e was unpopular because it was more complex than 3.5 you're delusional
>>
>>49953480
Here's my definition of viable:
>a fighter with 10+ str / dex / con
>>
>>49953346
From the top of my head.
Try to make group monsters into balanced parties, tanks, ranged attackers, mages and all.

Try to see the "battle experience" of the monsters. Some may be scared of particular techniques or simply be wary of It.
Some may be savvy enough to know that you have to "geek the mage first".
Occasionally create "experienced monster" - an old looking or scarred leader, with slightly buffed stats that circles around the weakest link in your party, keeps him busy, shouts orders to the other monsters, uses the terrain to his advantage and all that.

Also, single monsters are most of the time fucked when fighting the PCs unless the CR is really high. For me, putting monsters into groups is crucial when designing any sort of fair challenge
>>
>>49953533
Just seems like you're not throwing hard enough enemies at them. Up the CR and/or increase the mook's stats.
>>
File: scan 3.jpg (278KB, 2200x1700px) Image search: [Google]
scan 3.jpg
278KB, 2200x1700px
>>49953538
>Be sure to have a good idea of what is in each area, and be ready to improvise if players come up with stuff you weren't expecting (e.g your Rogue decides to break into someone's house.)
I do, don't worry.

Here's Level 3 (which is actually under Level 1).
G - Guards
C - Cloister
P - Water Purification and Pumping Center
>>
>>49953346
I don't know what you're doing wrong exactly, but I'll take a stab at it: your monsters aren't fighting with strategy. Even the dumbest monsters should have fighting tactics and strategies. Even kobolds would employ hit-and-run tactics and use guerilla warfare.

Additionally, you need to put more difficult terrain and other environmental hazards that monsters can use to their advantage.

Which fight sounds tougher?

A) PCs enter a room with five goblins. The five goblins walk up to the PCs and start attacking.

B) PCs are walking through a forest path when they get ambushed. One PC falls victim to a trap. The other PCs are getting shot at by five goblins. Some of them are up in trees, some of them are behind briar patches, and there may be some unseen traps between the PCs and the goblins.
>>
Do greatclubs count as a monk weapon?
>>
File: scan 4.jpg (139KB, 2200x1700px) Image search: [Google]
scan 4.jpg
139KB, 2200x1700px
And here's the last level (for now).
The mines.
Q - Quarry
P - Prison
S - Salt
G - Gems
M - Metals
>>
>>49953594
Then you should be fine. Having area/town maps is a really, really good idea. I made the mistake of not including them in my first campaign and it was a detriment.
>>
Is green flame blade overpowered due to how much it's mentioned? At level 5 it's 2d8 + Spellcasting plus the damage of your weapon.

That's better than any other cantrip damage wise, besides EB with invocations, and range isn't as big of an issue in typical fights.

The only time people talk about a spell or cantrip this much is if it's overpowered, but is it?
>>
>>49953533
Waves work wonders for combat. If the players are in a bandit hideout for instance, have bandits from other areas come and attack the party.
Have enemies use stealth and tactics. Maybe there's a wizard who hides in full cover and comes out once a turn to cast spells, and the party can't get over there with all the other dudes in the way.
Maybe overwhelm your characters with shit like that and force them to retreat or rethink their tactics.
>>
>>49953485
It's exactly the same as a normal (non-crit) hit with a greataxe with 20 strength with GWM's +10 damage on a regular person.

>>49953499
15xstrength score.

Ring mail is only 40 lbs, within 3 strength.

Plate armour is 65 lbs, within 5 strength.

>>49953503
If you hit 3/20 of the time and do ~22.5 (abyssmal strength + sharpshooter + gwm + half-orc + heavy crossbow) then you'll do a bit above 3 damage.

If the bladelock does (1d12+5) damage for greataxe + 20 strength, they have to hit 6/20 of the time to match in terms of damage.

The bladelock is also likely not to use greataxe, not have 20 dex/strength, have less attacks, be squishier... But they'll have lifedrinker, probably using booming blade /green flame blade, all the other warlock goodies.

Bladelock would be better, but to be honest even a normal bladelock wouldn't be leagues better than a ~6 strength (it's 6 now because they couldn't even wear their plate armour + heavy crossbow without it, though I still factored it as -5 strength modifier. Eh, too lazy.) fighter, because the fighter is still useful at having health and not dying.

>>49953560
That sounds like some ultraboring shitr ight there.
>>
>>49953618
Nope
>>
>>49953653
>>49953485
>exactly the same damage
Roughly the same average damage or something, 22 or 22.5.
>>
>>49949883
do we have any more previews of the volo's guide other than the 4 pics on wizards site? I'm about to pre order now.

and
>does anyone have pdfs for Kobold Press tome of beasts and other stuff like guide to worldbuilding or 5e adventures book "one shot"?
>>
>>49953653
15x3 = 45
your equipment is armor, weapons, clothes, shield if possible, etc, that alone will go beyond 45
>>
>>49953623
I limited my player's initial access to the city because only Level 1 was accessible to non-citizens, but they made some quests for the king after unwittingly giving him a rare magical gem.
But now they got access, I wonder how much of it they will explore.
>>
>>49953653
you need a 13 str minimum to get anything over 16 AC without a dex score. Normal fighters will have well over that. You will be heavily gimped beyond uselessness. THAT is ultraboring shit.

You can't wear the platemail if you have less than 15 str, anyway.

And, oh, all you get to do is carry your ring mail, so I hope you like being useless in and out of combat. You can't even carry a decent low-stat weapon, not to mention a shield.

This is why rolling for stats is fucking stupid.
>>
>>49950474
>AC and attack bonus "bound" to the ground, instead of letting it advance into the sky

I can't tell if this is a joke.

It's because there are theoretical boundaries on the maximum bonuses that are conserved even as characters advance and (supposedly) new content is released.

"Bound to the ground" are you fuckin kidding me anon
>>
>>49952099

And anyone else that listened to the podcast:

The opening round the Ranger (revised Ranger, level 9 with +2 arrows and FE: Beast) opened up with 49 damage (against a modified Giant(Huge) Octopus (Beast).

Does that sound right?
>>
>>49953732
If your group is anything like mine: be prepared to set aside a good chunk of the session to exploration. Finding new things is fun, but slow, especially if people are very cautious.
>>
>>49953152
This reminds me of my crafting system, which is slightly more complicated.

To craft an item, you have to spend half its value in supplies. You can spend it all at once, but you can only apply a certain amount of your expenses each long rest (or day, if using alternate rest rules)

You spend the long rest crafting. You must have access to your supplies and the appropriate tools. At the end of the long rest, you roll dice to determine how successful you were that rest. If you are proficient in the crafting process, you roll a number of dice equal to your proficiency bonus. If you aren't proficient, you roll one dice. The dice type you roll is determined by the number of advantages and disadvantages you have.

You start with a d10. For every negative circumstance the DM says you have, decrease the dice by one grade. for every positive circumstance you have, increase the dice by one grade. For instance:

You are crafting a legendary potion. you need to spend a lot of supplies to do this. Luckily, the wizard you worked for last gave you a magical set of alchemists tools that confer a +3 bonus. This is the same as having 3 sets of advantageous circumstances. Also it's a full moon out, and the ingredients you're using react well under a full moon. So you increase your dice grade by 4 going from a d10 to a d12 to a d20 to a d100 to a d1000.

Unluckily, the same wizard who gave you the tools also put a bomb in your head that is triggered to go off if you mess up. You're quite nervous. So that's one disadvantageous circumstance. You roll d100s now.

You're proficient in your craft, and level 20, so you roll 6d100s every night you craft under these same circumstances. Each night you spend that value of supplies on the craft. When you've spent enough to equal half the item's value, you succeed.

The dice grades are as follows:

0,1,d4,d6,d8,d10,d12,d20,d100,d1000.

For each grade increase after d1000, just add a d1000 instead.
>>
File: Tadpole.png (1MB, 800x1054px) Image search: [Google]
Tadpole.png
1MB, 800x1054px
>>49953705
What's that you say? Previews? Why yes, there are! In fact, the OP image is a preview from the book.

Also, Tome of Beasts can be found in the mega under Third Party
>>
>>49953633
It's not necessarily OP it's just the most logical option if you want to fight in melee, and doesn't rely so much on DM behavior as BB does
>>
>>49953654
Please elaborate why not
>>
>>49953760
On level 3, on the lake there is a small Minotaur Village.
I wonder what kind of shenanigans I can do with that.
>>
>>49953716
DWARF
W
A
R
F
>>
>>49953739
>This is why rolling for stats is fucking stupid.

To be fair, more like why rolling stats AFTER you've decided your character concept is stupid.

Rolling stats is stupid though
>>
Anons? I got a problem that maybe y'all can help me with. Couple of problems, actually.

Firstly, I just saw a thread on a homebrewed 5e Samurai class and... well, is there something wrong with me that my first thought about it was "what's the point"? I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but to me, it seems like the Samurai doesn't have anything you couldn't get if you just reflavored a Banneret or Battlemaster Fighter, or maybe an Oath of the Crown Paladin. At best I think you got a subclass for Monks in it, and that's only because I remember the Kensai fighter kit from Baldur's Gate II, and Monk's Iron Soul (weapon master) style and Soaring Blade (wuxia fighter) paragon path in 4e.

By the way, was Kensai actually an AD&D kit?

Second question; as someone who likes kobolds and wants to give them a place in his own setting, do you think Pathfinder's Kobold Bloodline for Sorcerers could be converted to work under the 5e Sorcerer subclass mechanics?

Link for reference: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/racial-bloodlines/kobold-bloodline-sorcerer-kobold

Finally, in a setting where humanity's official "hat", ala dwarves are toughs, elves are graceful, orcs are ferocious, etc, is "humans can breed with anything", does it make sense that human PCs could take an race-based Sorcerer bloodline/source/whatever the fuck the subclasses are called?

>>49953705
There's several previews scattered across the web. You need to google them to find them, as WotC's only got some of them up on their page.
>>
File: Gauth.png (1MB, 800x1054px) Image search: [Google]
Gauth.png
1MB, 800x1054px
>>49953705
Here's a Gauth! It's awesome and eats magic.
>>
>>49953799
>>49953654
Nevermind I'm retarded
>>
>>49953633
It's good for what it is. Doing more damage than other cantrips is ok, since a melee attack is far more restrictive than chucking evocations across the battlefield.

The only thing it kinda breaks is that it scales when a cantrip usually does, which with a melee ability starts looking a lot like a fighters extra attack progression. On a class than normally gets two attacks or less that literally is a game changer. It becomes objectively superior to normal attacks, especially when the rider effect kicks in. It's a flaw in the basic game design.

That said, everything still works fine, and that swashbuckler with green blame blade and booming blade isn't really breaking the game.
>>
File: Mindwitness.png (1MB, 793x1044px) Image search: [Google]
Mindwitness.png
1MB, 793x1044px
>>49953705
And here's a Mindwitness! It's what happens when you put a mind flayer tadpole inside of a Beholder.
>>
>>49953802
>3 str 3 con fighter is viable
>no is not
>It's if you use ring mail
>no is not
>it's if you use ring mail and are a dwarf
Is the goalpost going to keep moving? if so I'll get better shoes

Also dwarves can't have str 3
>>
>>49953620
I mean, that's not how geology works but nobody will ever know.
>>
File: 1477225997378.jpg (382KB, 1456x2147px) Image search: [Google]
1477225997378.jpg
382KB, 1456x2147px
>>49953800
Arm wrestling competitions for your strong characters, hunting trips for your archers, maybe some traditional medicine stuff for your smart cookies.

I dunno. My interpretation of minotaurs is probably very different from yours.
>>
File: Beholder Lore.png (2MB, 1010x1333px) Image search: [Google]
Beholder Lore.png
2MB, 1010x1333px
>>49953705
Here's some lore of beholders! They're cool and sometimes reproduce using dreams.
>>
>>49953799
Monk weapons cannot be a weapon that requires two hands to use. A great club requires two hands. So nope.

You could use a quartetstaff and use two hands to hit with it, that's d8 so the same as a great club. It just can't have the two handed property.
>>
File: Mind Flayer Autopsy.png (2MB, 1009x1332px) Image search: [Google]
Mind Flayer Autopsy.png
2MB, 1009x1332px
>>49953705
Here's some lore about Mind Flayers! They make all kinds of gross monsters.
>>
>>49953716
Ring mail + light crossbow is possible with 3 strength, but that doesn't allow you to use GWM melee. (40lbs + 5lbs)
It does however not slow you down.

Plate armour + heavy crossbow is possible with 6 strength.

Anything else can be mounted on a horse or something, I don't know.

>>49953739
You don't need 13 strength.
You can wear plate armour without 15 strength, you just suffer -10ft speed unless you're a dwarf, in which case you suffer nothing.
>>
>>49953839
Is it that bad?

>>49953842
They're not evil minotaurs, they're based more on the UA Waterborne Adventures. They also mostly work in the circus.
>>
>>49953618
monk weapons are shortswords and simple melee weapons that don’t have the TWO-HANDED or HEAVY property, so you tell me
>>
File: Alhoons.png (2MB, 1009x1331px) Image search: [Google]
Alhoons.png
2MB, 1009x1331px
>>49953705
Here's some lore about Alhoons, which is what happens when a Mind Flayer wants to be a lich but isn't very good at magic.
>>
>>49953870
>>49953815
>>49953903
Like I said, I'm retarded. Shame, too, it seemed like a hilarious idea to me.
>>
>>49953887
>Ring mail + light crossbow
I assume you go nude and without ammunition
>>
File: Frost Giant Lore.jpg (287KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Frost Giant Lore.jpg
287KB, 1275x1650px
>>49953705
Here's some lore about Frost Giants! They're really tall and like to fight.
>>
>>49953901
Look, you're playing a fantasy game and your players probably aren't hardcore geologists.
They won't notice.

Most salt will come from large areas where a sea has repeatedly died, though, pretty much.
>>
File: Firbolg.jpg (222KB, 687x890px) Image search: [Google]
Firbolg.jpg
222KB, 687x890px
>>49953705
Here are the stats for the Firbolg! They're also really tall, but they're more friendly.
>>
>>49953923
>needing clothes
>needing ammo

You club people in the face with the crossbow for 1d4+sharpshooter bonuses, because fuck logic.

Bonus points if your DM is kind enough to let you multiclass for sneak attacks when you club people.
>>
File: Stone Giant Dreamwalker.jpg (319KB, 1275x1672px) Image search: [Google]
Stone Giant Dreamwalker.jpg
319KB, 1275x1672px
>>49953705
Here's the stats for a Stone Giant Dreamwalker! They turn things into rocks and then incorporate them into their bodies.
>>
>>49953965
Sharpshooter only works on ranged attacks not melee ones.
>>
File: Orc Lore.jpg (284KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Orc Lore.jpg
284KB, 1275x1650px
>>49953705
Here's some lore about Orcs! They like fighting.
>>
>>49953887
you're going to be carrying way more than is reasonable for someone of your strength at all times. at 3 str, you go over encumbrance by glancing at a suit of plate mail, much less wearing it. At 5? Yeah, you can wear it, but you won't be able to have much else. Add a shield, and you have 4lbs of weapon to work with- and you're still completely useless in and out of combat because the 4lb or less weapons are mostly terrible for fighters and you can't carry anything else without going over your carry limit. Sorry guys, can I mooch some rations and a bedroll? hur hur i went adventuring instead of staying at home because i'm a complete retard with no chance of survival
>>
>>49953965
Melee attacks with a ranged weapon don't trigger sneak attacks.
Melee attacks with a ranged weapons aren't ranged attacks so no sharpshooter +10 to damage.

I guess viable now means "if you ignore a lot of rules...it can be playable"
>>
Which do you think I'd have more fun with as far as always having something to do?

Assassin Rogue
Beastmaster Ranger (revised)
Battlemaster Fighter

Using a heavy crossbow / hand crossbow?
>>
>>49953943
Well the mines are deep in a mountain, the mountain could have once been the bottom of a sea/ocean.
>>
>>49953705
>>49949883
And here's a Tanarukk! They're what happens when demons mutate an unborn orc. They're really good at hitting things.
>>
>>49953547
One of its many problems was that it had no variance in complexity. No matter who you were, newbie or theorycrafting munchkin, your character was exactly as complex as every other character. If you wanted more or if you needed less, tough.
>>
>>49953832
how is that moving the goalpost? It's still a 3 str 3 dex fighter.
>>
>>49953985
That's wrong, anon.

'Before you make an attack with a ranged weapon'

>>49954008
That's wrong, anon.
'The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.'

Using a crossbow to make a melee attack does not magically transform the crossbow into a melee weapon, even if you are making a melee weapon attack.
>>
>>49954059
Okay.
*rolls 1d100*
You broke your crossbow. Good job.
>>
>>49954059
Read the errata and FAQ before saying whats wrong
>>
>>49954049
Dwarves can't have 3 str, anon
>>
>>49954109
Why not?
>>
>>49954016
Between those three, an assassin has good skills that might come up out of combat, but tends to sort of check out after the first round of combat. The ranger has the most "moving parts" of the three, with a spell list and a variety of other class features.
>>
>>49954109
It's for if you roll 3 str, not literally for having 3 str
The original discussion was based on "pick class then roll for stats in order" -> "what if you roll shit for your primary stats"
>>
>>49954150
I think he got wrong the stats with the playtest dwaft that got +2 str always
>>
>>49953533
How many fights per day do your PCs get into? If they just have 1 or 2 encounters, they will always steamroll through anything up to Hard difficulty. Keep in mind 5e is balanced around 6-8 Medium or Hard encounters per day. Obviously sometimes that is too much, which is why you make less Hard/Deadly encounters. Check out "The Adventuring Day", DMG pg. 84. It estimates your 4th level party of 4 can handle a total of 6.800 XP worth of enemies in a day. Then you can work with that number to figure out what they should be fighting.

Or just slowly increase the difficulty of all your encounters and see how much they can handle.
>>
>>49951665
What? But... Why?
>>
>>49951427
>Rusing this hard

I'll choose to believe you're just pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>49952564
Cavalier arquetype, just talk to your master so you can upgrade your mount.
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/04_UA_Classics_Revisited.pdf
Also you need mounted combatant.
That or Beast ranger for those sweet 1d12+1d6+7 with advantage dmg rolls and durable mount. Take sentinel if lance or polearm master if glaive, And gwm if heavy weapon cos-> you have advantage while mounted.
>>
>>49953780
Oh God. Are we going to get stats for an Elder Brain?? That would make me so happy.
>>
>>49950181
>Speed 40 ft.
>snail

um
>>
>>49954451
It's a very special snail >>49951205
>>
File: 1471625584520.png (60KB, 267x246px) Image search: [Google]
1471625584520.png
60KB, 267x246px
>>49954488
i've been bamboozled
>>
>>49953957
>furblog don't look like warcraft furblog

I'm a little dissapointed.
>>
What's the fucking point of roleplaying a game if in every new town you just run away from it or set it on fire?
>>
>>49952733
How brain dead do you have to be to not do point buy properly?
>>
>>49950475
It's basically preference between how high-fantasy you want to get. Level 20 in 3.5 means you're some army crushing superhero, while in 5e it means you're more like a Greek hero; can beat up some pretty nasty monsters and shit but still has trouble by more lesser threats.
>>
File: sallet.jpg (76KB, 736x565px) Image search: [Google]
sallet.jpg
76KB, 736x565px
>>49952564
Hey dunno if you're still here, but mounted combat is great in 5e its really simple rules-wise. Just don't expect to be 24/7 mounted on horseback if you're looking to play that archetypal knight. In-game reasons aside (no horses in caves, dungeons etc) it takes a while to afford a proper warhorse, and then a lot longer to afford proper barding for the horse to keep it alive and kicking (literally). A full plate barding set is 6000g i believe? Maybe your DM dishes out gold like its no tomorrow but our campaigns tend to be a little more realistic in terms of money and it took me until level 8 before I could get a warhorse and kit him out with barding and I believe it wasn't even plate must have been scale.

Speaking of DMs, make sure you explain to them what kind of character you want to play. A good DM should always make narrative choices based largely on everyone playing the way they want, which should hopefully allow for a bit more open air fighting where your mounted combatant skills can shine.

I would certainly opt for variant human because the extra feat is great, tho I'm not sure I would spend my free feat on mounted combat right away. As was already mentioned, Paladin is a great choice because of his auras plus you can always lay on hands your mount if he takes a heavy opportunity hit. Fighter is a good choice if you want to be a mobile xbow turret but that idea never appealed to me. I dunno the rules for mounted combat are so open you can really play anything you like. Just take a background that includes animal handling as your DM will likely make you use it for RP reasons to control your horse in certain combat situations, like if your mount gets frightened you can use animal handling to get him back on track towards that dragon.
>>
>>49951648
>>49951852

I do like Gnolls as an evil monster race, I'd just like more to distinguish them from furry Orcs.

They don't necessarily have to be chaotic
>>
>>49949964
It's like I'm really playing MTG
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.