[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 28

File: natural_20_dnd_02.jpg (51KB, 500x772px) Image search: [Google]
natural_20_dnd_02.jpg
51KB, 500x772px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Last Session:
>>49917024

Thread Question:

Players: What seemingly simple and harmless action from your party led to a world-shaking event in the campaign?

DMs: What was your biggest "oh god why did I give them that?" when concerning magic items to your players?
>>
>>49927767
Yeah, but the mummy's skeletons don't get the +8 to damage, gotta take that into account, too. What we really need is to somehow raise another necromancer to level 20 while still being incredibly stupid, turn him into a lich, and control him.
>>
>>49927787
I both play and DM

>Players
Nothing like this has ever happened to me. Because the person who will DM for me is shit to be honest and would rather depower all our abilities for "realism" and we're basically peasants that can do a few tricks.

>DMs
My players tend to horde things and/or forget they have them entirely so it's never been an issue.

Those were the old days.
Now I'm DMing for a new group and just started a new campaign as a player under a different DM. Things are looking up, the new group isn't retarded and the new DM is cool with letting us feel like heroes.
>>
> Last Session:
> Anon believe in level 20.

I bet he still think Santa is real too.
>>
So what do you guys think the stats are gonna be like for the races coming with Volo's Guide (Orc, Goblin, Kobold)? Are there any other races you're hoping to see playable versions of?
>>
>>49927840
You could use Wish/Simulacrum to get an incredibly stupid necromancer clone thing.
>>
>>49927916
Are level 20 one-shots a thing ever?
>>
we can actually build a chain of liches, each one controlling 128 skeletons + the next lich in the chain. And they would all report to you

you can take over the world with an army of a million skeletons without ever leaving RAW
>>
File: photo-11.jpg (812KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
photo-11.jpg
812KB, 1632x1224px
Saw these in my nearest FLGS. Are these good enough minis? Or does it matter where they came from? Cause being in my country, I'm hard-pressed to find minis esp with customs fucking us in the ass if I try ordering online (and most places that are considered good resources for minis are abroad) so seeing these make me want to buy them but they are tied to a DnD wargame so it's the closest I'll get to official DnD minis like those ones Gale Force 9 makes.
>>
>>49927787
I dutifully handed over the wish blade in CoS but thankfully my players used it for a roleplay purpose
>>
I'm a forever DM so...

>guy playing an INT 06 Goliath
>party gets a magic coin that always returns to owner's/thrower's hand
>they're told it works by traveling through a portal to return to hand
>somehow the Goliath gets the coin
>faced with a magic portal that may or may not have led to a tower holding up an adamantium dome over a huge city
>Goliath throws the coin into the portal
>he gains 100k XP and learns he's destroyed the city
>player shakes head
>party shakes head
>DM shakes head
>>
>>49927962
Not really. Since at level 20, you are suppose to go on multiverse level of threat. It would take a lot of build up session to make that threat actually work.
>>
>>49927976
The only limiting factor is, do Liches get to keep the necromancer ability to command undead?
>>
>>49927998
why
>>
>>49927875
Unaffected. Everyone gets those bonus feats at character level, rather than class level.
>>
>>49927983
There's nothing wrong with them, but you can probably get cheaper with Reaper Bones, just gotta paint them.
>>
>>49928019
Avengers 2
>>
>>49927962
I've done one but honestly it wasn't so fun.
it's like when you put cheat codes in your game and you get all the stuff right away.

Feels like fun at first but you get bored once you try all the neat things you wanted to.

Half the fun for most people is character progression anyway. And combat in 5e takes a bit to balance. So the only way your DM can prepare for an entirely random group of level 20s would be to fudge everything to make it feel balanced.
>>
So how does one go about making the BBEG disguise himself as a friendly NPC to the party for the entire adventure until he reveals himself (or if he gets found out by the party earlier)? Cause I feel it's easier to execute than I think but I want to make it sensible enough that when the twist is dropped, the players can look back and realize there were so many clues they could've picked up and not feel cheapened by the reveal.

There's also the factor that I also want an avenue where the players can pursue this NPC's identity if suspicions arises from them to the point where it can also become an intense cat and mouse game where there's also a chance of succeeding in outing the BBEG's identity.

Ultimately, I need some ideas to make this work. I want to drop clues that this NPC could be the BBEG but at the same time, not be too obvious for the players.
>>
>>49928004
I've done a level 15 oneshot before. We were escaping from Hell. It was great. One of the players stayed behind to look for a girl he killed at an earlier character level. (think level 1, he killed my changeling rogue on accident because my dumb ass morphed into a bandit, got on a speeder bike, and tried to infiltrate enemy lines. The DM fucked up the lighting for me and I didn't see that I was the dude on the left, so I thought I was in the center. I sent them a comms message saying "Don't shoot the guy in the center" and sure enough, before I get a chance to correct them when the gun gets raised, boom. The monk crits me with a shotgun blast.

I rerolled a malfunctioning warforged.
>>
>>49927976
Where are you getting these liches
>>
>>49928101
Lich R Us. C'mon man get with the times.
>>
>>49928117
I don't think you can just have a lich let alone an army of lichs
>>
>>49928101
Well, the ritual to make a lich is never really gone into in detail, so really it could be as easy as killing some orphans or as hard as stepping on the visage of the virgin mary and denying christ.
>>
>>49928019
Throwing the coin through there portal made it open a portal in a portal. That's about the same as putting a bag of holding in a bag of holding.

>>49928040
I was going to have them go into the tower, confront the BBEG, and escape with adamantium everything. Instead, yeah, that's what happened. The Goliath gained a bunch of levels though for destroying a city - so here took levels in Ranger to justify leaving the party for a few months in-game. Out of games, the campaign arc ended and I need time to plan what the fuck I'm gonna do next.
>>
>>49927976
Why not just run it as a kind of pyramid scheme?
>>
>>49928172
Throw the coin through portal
It exits portal
Then returns to owner through its own portal

?????
>>
File: 1455365825284.jpg (402KB, 1424x842px) Image search: [Google]
1455365825284.jpg
402KB, 1424x842px
1) Use Simulacrum (7th level) while you have an unused 9th level spell slot and know Wish

2) Use your simulacrum to cast Simulacrum (via Wish) to make a simulacrum of you, which will again have your 9th level spell slot

3) repeat 2) until infinity.

4) make all infinite simulacrums cast animate dead so you can get infinite skellies
>>
>>49928172
It'd make much more sense just to destroy the portal.

The xp reward is nonsense in any case.
>>
Hey DMs, do you "roleplay" the enemies during combat? Cause I joined a session with some friends and this DM played this orc band pretty intelligently. I'm pretty new with tabletop RPGs (2 years) so seeing him make the orcs do flanking, use reactions, let the Orc spellcasters do their shit and also applying sensible reasons in attacking the party was eye-opening to me since it made the enemies become more than statblocks hitting the player's statblocks. It inspired me to want to DM like that. My problem though is that I fear of metagame cause in the end of it all, you are still the DM, when you let an Orc go behind a structure, your players can't see him while you, the DM, will always have sight of the players so you might subconsciously have a "us vs. them" mentality even if you're trying not to.
>>
>>49928238
Well, orcs are warriors, and are trained in the art of war. They know who not to pursue

(the answer, btw, is LuBu)
>>
>>49928201
Well they did destroy the rest of the BBEG's plans, a thousand soldiers, a bunch of wizards and clerics, and singlehandedly set back the entire economy of the world by ruining the ability to work with adamantium (unless they go to the dwarves, who aren't about to give it up and damn sure won't now). That's what the BBEG really wanted so I felt it was appropriate.

That said, it shouldn't have been that big a bump but I'm gonna give the player a chance to play it out and see how he does. If he can redeem himself, it'll be a hell of a story.
>>
What cantrip from Elemental Evil is decent?

I have a sling so magic stone seems like it could help with ranged attacks. Everything else seems a little more gimmicky.
>>
>>49928196
I feel like we've had this discussion before.
>>
>>49928290
Yeah it's just... experience points represent experiences, you know? It's not the literal life energy of things slain by your hand. Sure get some roleplay xp for doing something important but don't tally up everything behind the portal like you took them all out personally.
>>
>>49927787
My Adobe pdf reader keeps crashing whenever I open the monster manuel/PHB. Works fine for everything else.

Anyone else having this problem?
>>
>>49928172
why not just have it go through the portal and create a portal outside that portal instead of a nuclear device
>>
>>49927787
>What was your biggest "oh god why did I give them that?" when concerning magic items to your players?
A Wand of Wonder that they could choose the results of. That petrifying effect is too good.

I nerfed it a bit, requiring two charges to choose the result, and they've cut back on using it quite a bit.
>>
>>49928342
nope

try a different pdf reader, or updating adobe reader.
>>
>>49928325
If I did that then he'd have become Level 20 and have had to stop playing. The player has said that he'll go martyr when given a chance if the power level changes too much to be fun. It could be a useful plot device or if could be a train wreck - as a group, we all agreed to see it to its conclusion.
>>
File: matrix.jpg (122KB, 410x410px) Image search: [Google]
matrix.jpg
122KB, 410x410px
>>49928196
>>
>>49928096

Don't do it. Its the worse cliche ever. If you continue down this path and you DM for people over 10 years old you will be mocked for do this thing as long as one player from that adventure is present. You will have nightmares about having done it. Most DMs do it once and learn the hard lesson. Sometimes they have to quit DMing and playing over it. Don't be THAT DM. Keep your dignity and respect Anon.
>>
>>49927919Does wanting a baby flail snail as a familiar option count?
>>
>>49928444

Do your parents know you are a faggot?
>>
Why isn't True Reincarnation a thing? It'd be nice to not have to roll the dice when reborn as something else.
>>
>>49928172
that's pretty fucking stupid anon.
>>
File: image.gif (54KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
54KB, 320x240px
Repost from last thread, I wanted to get an answer on this because I ended up becoming really facinated with the werewolf idea.

>Wouldn't rage and martial arts damage stack? A monk can choose to use between strength or dex. If you just focus on strength, you can gain all the benefits of rage just fine, no? You only really need the one level in barb. It gives the werewolf flavor, and monk level 20 monk is pretty underwhelming, assuming you even reach level 20 in the first place. I don't see how monk+barb could ever clash, it seems like natural synergy. Then again, I'm still fairly new to this whole thing.
>>
>>49928635
Sorry just for clarification, the idea was that you could make a werewolf flavored character, using unarmed strikes from monk, and using barbarian rage as flavor to have your PC turn into a werewolf, as a panic button.

In my mind, the characters background would be a monk that got attacked by a mysterious wolf, he showed no symptoms at first, but as days went by he started noticing changes. Now he uses his monk training to channel and focus his inner wolf so that it doesn't overcome him and he can retain his humanity instead of succumbing to the curse.
>>
>>49928496
what
>>
Is there a board wide /tg/ discord server?
>>
File: canvas.png (2KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
canvas.png
2KB, 200x200px
Treasure in them there codes.
>>
>>49928683
Yeah, sure.

Why not even take it a step further and go wolf barb 3/monk 17 (assuming you would get to 20)

I like the idea of taming the wolf inside yourself. Even fits with werewolf lore and shit. The whole scary thing about being a werewolf is losing control of yourself. If anyone should be able to control that and focus their rage it would be a monk.

The only real downside is you'll probably have to sacrifice wisdom which means your stuns and such will suffer.
You could instead do the reverse and be more on the wolf-side of things, and just dip one level of monk for the bonus action unarmed attack.
Roleplay as a wolf-man barb trying to tame his inner beast through some meditation and spirituality.
>>
>>49929221
I like the idea of a barbX/monk 1.
Also, you don't really have to plan for 20 that way, since it's just a 1 level dip.
>>
>>49928977
A hypothetical improved version of the reincarnation spell, that one might assume allows a choice of the race you are reborn as, rather than it being randomly determined.
>>
>>49929247
I think monk works better as a main class, your unarmed strikes get stronger as you level, and a werewolf shouldn't really be using weapons in my mind.

Also monks have tons of mobility, which fits the fantasy of a wolf jumping around mauling people.
>>
>>49929259
But you may as well just use True Resurrection of True Polymorph
>>
>>49929310
Heaven forbid there may be more than one way to go about things. And maybe you only have a powerful druid handy, rather than a wizard and cleric.

You could probably fill another niche too, being a cheaper option perhaps.
>>
Seems pretty hard to find a good game on roll20

half of them are full but for one slot with 50 applications

and the other half are like "hi I'm new running a game apply if you want to play" with no information

just wanna play, forever gm irl. Any of you guys had success on there?
>>
>>49929354
ok whatever
>>
>>49929221
As far as stats are concerned I'd go
Str: 15
Dex:13
Con:14
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 8

Strength will be your main damage stat, as monks can choose to attack with strength or dex with unarmed strikes, and strength scales with rage.

Dex is for monk reactions and barbarian AC calculations

Con relatively high because I kinda like the idea of being a tanky aggressive wolfman

Int isn't important

Wisdom for more monk things, but it's not a focus. Also for animal handling

Cha is set as my lowest, because I doubt anyone would trust a wolfman. My character would be a socially awkward hermit anyway.

this is all before bonuses. I'd probably roll a variant human, and take tavern brawl, assuming it stacks with monk martial arts, or just take toughness

Not sure on background yet.

Take monk at level 1, then barb on 2. Not sure about the rest of the leveling, but level 3 barb is kind of an attractive option if my party is melee heavy, since a wolf barbarian can give all allies in range advantage on melee attacks.

I've put a decent amount of thought into this. The idea seems really cool in theory, and I'm pretty set on this. I just wanted to post it here to get more thoughts from other people since opinions are always cool.
>>
4e was pretty good.
>>
>>49927787
>Player
Went on a two man side quest on a off-week. Some one-shot our DM made and scaled down for us while we all drank beers. Anyway I being a simple human died to a slime. My buddy wound up selling his soul to some demon and now the two of us act as his agents. All the while our main story is Wrath of Demons or whatever,
>>
>>49929390
Pretend to be a girl. Receive free invites.
>>
>>49929443
How do I pull that off if it's voice or video and voice? I'm 6'3 and was a bass in choir
>>
File: im done with bait.png (35KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
im done with bait.png
35KB, 625x626px
>>49929430
We know, stop posting.
>>
>>49929390
Just dmpc. What are your players gonna do, leave?

Plus, if you're a decent dm it isn't hard to do right and not offend player sensibilities. Done right, dmpcs will be asked to accompany the players by the players without them realizing what you're doing.
>>
>>49929463
that is in no way the same thing as being a pc, I don't know why you'd even suggest that
>>
>>49929390
I had the same problem, I had 2 groups I found off reddit's lfg that were decent. Might try to find some players here when I DM a game sometime.
>>
>>49929471
What do you expect to enjoy out of playing? For me, playing combat on the players side, trying to overcome the odds and succeed in the mission is it. I already get to do all the role-playing I could ask for.

So dmpcing scratches the itch that playing would for me, and is a tool I keep in my back pocket to enrich role-playing for the players and keep from burning out.
>>
>>49929279
Well of course it's up to you. But I'll make the case for barb and let you think about it.
>only need single dip for barb
>bigger hit die to actually survive
>less mad (don't have to bump wis to make sure your stuns work like monk would require)
>your power comes from your rage (makes more roleplay sense to me)
>more wolf flavor from totem abilities
>will realistically max str, con, and have some dex, can ignore wisdom
>consistent damage due to rage damage bonus

Assuming point buy the following is possible:
As variant human take tough feat, by level 20 max con and str and have 283 hp.

You don't really want to ignore wisdom as a monk or your DCs for core abilities like stun and other martial arts effects will be poor. You will have to make a choice about which you would rather have, str, con, or wis because one of them will suffer.
If you ignore con you will be much squishier (already with a smaller hit die).
If you ignore str you damage and to hit will suffer.
If you ignore wis, as mentioned, your DCs will suffer.

Also keep in mind that wis or con will need to be raised, as one of them will be used to calculate your AC.
>>
>>49929514
My dude I don't understand your thought process here

How could shoving in a dmpc substitute for actually being a PC? I know everything that's going to happen in my game, I make all the encounters, characters, items etc

>playing combat on the players side

that's fucking retarded, you're running all the npcs. You know what they can do, their statistics, and you decide what they do.

there would be no entertainment in that for me whatsoever.

Sounds like you actually need to get away from gming and be a pc
>>
>>49929429
>Cha is set as my lowest, because I doubt anyone would trust a wolfman. My character would be a socially awkward hermit anyway.

Switch int and cha. Get proficient in intimidation.
>>
>>49929453

Just say you have a girl penis and a identify as a female dwarf.
>>
>>49929429
>and take tavern brawl, assuming it stacks with monk martial arts

They do not stack. It just sets your base unarmed strikes at 1d4.
Keep in mind your wisdom must be 13 before you can multiclass out of monk and into something else.
>>
>>49928496
Nah stick with reincarnation and get jewed. Roll the dice, pay the price.
>>
>>49929535
>How could shoving in a dmpc substitute for actually being a PC? I know everything that's going to happen in my game, I make all the encounters, characters, items etc
>that's fucking retarded, you're running all the npcs. You know what they can do, their statistics, and you decide what they do.

It's pretty easy to compartmentalize that information, which is a skill mandatory for dming anyways.

>Sounds like you actually need to get away from gming and be a pc

Oh great, you're one of those posters. The shitposting kind, that as soon as they are something they don't like but can't ignore, they start breaking out the passive aggressive insults about someone's ability to dm. It's simple advice anon, no need to get so worked up.
>>
>>49929584
Ok settle down

You need to get away from gming and be a pc
>>
>>49928297
What are you playing? Warlock?
>>
>>49928297
Lightning Lure people into holes
Get fire immunity and drag someone through Create Bonfire for loads of damage
>>
>>49929522

If you're curious here's some averages and SDs of what you'd be doing with a monk with 1d10 vs a barb with 1d4 for unarmed strikes, both raging, both getting 3 hits, both max str.

Mostly barb:
3d4 + 15 + 12
Average - 34.50 / SD - 1.94

Mostly monk:
3d10 + 15 + 6
Average - 37.50 / SD - 4.97

Plug the numbers into anydice if you like. You'll see the barb is far more consistent damage wise and a far better tank so can survive a long time in melee. However the monk has potential for high damage but also low damage, more mobile, and can possibly stun if they fail your DC.
>>
>>49929631
And again, I would like to say in closing, play whichever you would enjoy role playing more.
I'm just bored as fuck and wanted to lay the options out there for you.
>>
>>49929522
I'm confused though, would you be straight barb, or would you splash monk?

The idea was to have an unarmed character that could rage. From what I understand, unarmed is garbage unless you're a monk.
>>
>>49929595
No faggot. That's literally you.
>>
>>49929631
Also, couldn't I choose to use a barbarians unarmored defense instead of a monks unarmored defense, even if my monk was higher level?

Sorry if my questions are retarded, I just want to make sure I cover all my bases. I'm just trying to bounce ideas off people.
>>
>>49929429
Shouldn't you barb firs for 14 HP?
>>
>>49929743
If I remember correctly, only the first version of unarmed defense you learned works. Might be mistaken though.
>>
Does anyone have the adventure Frozen Castle from Kobold Press? It doesn't seem to be on the Mega.
>>
>>49929770
>>49929829

Barb level 1 into monk 19 goes with my characters backstory too. He could start off as some sort of tribesman, gets attacked by a wolf, then seeks a monastery to tame the beast. Alright, i like this a lot.

I guess I'll go for a damage based character instead of a tank. The less consistent damage from monk sounds like it'd be more fun to play with. I like trying my luck.

As a variant human, I should still take toughness at level 1 huh?
>>
File: 1446560557165.jpg (756KB, 2432x2090px) Image search: [Google]
1446560557165.jpg
756KB, 2432x2090px
Clerics sure don't look like they used to.
>>
Any tips for a dex based fighter looking to be a tank?
>>
>>49929940
A shield, shield mastery, and sentinel? Just hop along the battlefield, stabbing and shoving while using your reaction to stab slow guys.
>>
>>49929940
Probably try to max Dex, so you get to add all that bonus to your AC. Then, studded leather, and a shield. I have a rogue5/fighter1, and with +5 Dex, studded leather, and shield, I have an AC of 19. Plus, with the larger hit dice, you should end up with a decent amount of HP if you put your secondary stat as con.
>>
>>49930032
Wouldn't rogue levels be horrible for a tank since you don't get sneak attack?
>>
>>49929940
Barbarian might be a good choice, rage makes damage negligible, and with a shield/high ac you become a brick meat wall.
>>
>>49930040
My character isn't a tank. I only mentioned it to show how I got my 19 AC.

As for the sneak attack, why wouldn't you be able to get it? If you have levels in rogue, whatever sneak attack you have, you get to apply as long as the conditions are met. And, in 5e, apparently the only condition is you need to have an ally within 5 feet of the person you are attacking.
>>
>>49929913
The priest of Waukeen is still the blingiest. Other points to love: the sensibly dressed priestess of Shar hating on the fabulously dressed Selunite, the fancy hat on the beholder cultist, the Aurilite who was caught on film whilst redoing her home, the cheapo Halloween costume on the priest of Myrkul.
>>
>>49930063
Well from what I played on rogue you only get sneak attack if the target isn't paying attention/their attention is somewhere else.

As tank the attention would be all on you.
>>
>>49930032
You could get AC19 with 2 level dip in bladesinger (24 with shield spell).
>>
>>49930032
> level 6
> level 5 rogue so only 1 ASI
> +5 DEX
>>
If I wanted to play a spell slinging duellist, what sort of build would you recommend?
Eldritch Knight seems a good choice, but I'm not well versed in multiclassing, could playing a Fighter/Sorc or Wizard be a good idea?
>>
>>49930081
I'd just play a bard Anon, they're pretty strong and eldritch knight is kind sucky.

Fighter/Sorcerer would be fun if you want to be both a weak sorcerer and a weak fighter.
>>
>>49930072
You get sneak attack as long as there is an ally nearby to provide a momentary distraction.
>>
>>49930081
Paladin / Sorcerer could work.
Favored Soul Sorcerer could work.
Bladesinger Wizard definately work.
>>
>>49930081
Valor Bard, Warlock, Tempest Cleric also work.
>>
>>49930101
Favored soul is actually ridiculously fun.
You pull them in with lightning lure
You use green flame blade or booming blade.
Then you can wait a round and set it off with any number of big spells in their face.
>>
>>49930072
You get sneak attack if your target is unaware of you or if the target is adjacent to another hostile, usually the bulky fighter who's smashed head first into them, unless you had disadvantage on the attack roll for any reason.
>>
>>49930081
>en you can wait a round and set it off
I play an AT Rogue using Green Flame Blade. Could be what you're looking for without the multiclassing.
>>
>>49930071
The gaudy priest of Lathander is right up there with the blingfest. There's also significant boobage on display, I approve.
>>
>>49928196
You are forgetting about the 12 hour cast time, the 1500gp worth of ruby dust consumed by the spell. not to mention you need a shit ton of your own hair, nail clippings, etc and a shitload of snow.

And this is for every single cast.
>>
>>49929850
Bump
>>
>>49930156
>>49930116
>>49930101
>>49930089
Which of these let's me be flashy? If I'm going to be a duelist, I need to be impressive, flinging fireballs and the like
>>
>>49930072
Yeah dude, that's what I always thought too. But apparently in 5e, it is insanely easy to get sneak attack to hit.
>>
>>49930078
>1 ASI
You can put 2 points in one stat.
Also, the DM for my campaign had us roll a d20 for a single stat, so everyone had the chance to get a high primary stat.
>>
>>49930262
Tempest Cleric because you're constantly making fucking lightning and thunder noises.

Bard if you want to be a rockstar.
(Say above with British accent)

Favored soul sorcerer if you want to say fuck you to those preconceptions about wimpy sorcerers and identify as an apache helicopter.

Dex Paladin if you just want to smite some motherfuckers that need smiting and never want to worry about your damage being resisted.
>>
>>49930227
That's to cast only the first Simulacrum and only if you choose to hardcast it. You can always cast Wish for the first one and do a Long Rest.

As always, the correct avenue is to tell anyone who actually tries it to go fuck themselves.
>>
>>49930227
>Your clones have as much ambition as you do and begin to rise up to become AnonPrime
>Roll 500 dex saves.
>>
>>49930262
AT if you want to stab people and have them explode in flame and hurt their friend nearby while stealing loot with your mage hand or reload the crossbow you used in your off hand.
>>
>>49930072
The rules state that you need to have an ally within 5 feet of the target to get a sneak attack. It's not a video game where someone has 'threat' or 'tanks' so it doesn't matter, you just need someone adjacent to the target to help you flank.
>>
>>49930288
So your experience and build doesn't translate well into other people game. Why bother sharing about it (not to mentioned you didn't even answer the guy question). Do you want to show e-peen so something?
>>
So how do you handle town/city travel in great detail? Especially on big multiple district cities? In the past year I always say "Okay, you decided to go to the 1st district which is a series of shops, restaurants and points of interest. This appears to be the commercial district of the city. You are now standing in the central square which remains as the main hub. The merchant guild is in front of you, what do you do?" which have been fine for our table. However, as time goes by especially when I read how people describe their cities, their maps, there's a side of me that wants things incredibly detailed than just saying "Okay, you go to do District 1, what do you do?" so my players can really feel the city especially if the city is something interesting like perhaps a city that resides within the hollow section of a gargantuan ancient tree. I want my players to feel they can explore every street, corner, etc. but I know deep down such a thing might be very tedious.

So I guess I'm gonna ask to DMs, how goes your urban-set campaign?
>>
>>49930262
Probably bladesinger.
>>
>>49930288
When discussing builds, assume that everyone uses the standard point-buy. If you roll for stats, good for you, but that hasn't been the standard method since before 2e.
>>
>>49930356
Describe the buildings around the area they're in, a seedy alley if they ask for more detail there.

The merchants in the street, what the merchant is selling if they ask for more detail.

The general mood of the populace.

That's pretty much the max amount of detail you can go into without boring someone, the trick is basically not to railroad while still just using nudges to bring them in the direction you think is interesting. Just have a few notes for the city depending on the direction they want to go towards.
>>
>>49930370
>but that hasn't been the standard method since before 2e.
I have never met a person that has done point buy. Everyone I have ever played with rolls for stats.
>>
>>49930347
Even without the d20 stat roll, it is 100% possible to get a +5 Dex mod at 4th level, by putting both ability points into Dex, if you rolled an 18.
>>
>>49930406
Not that guy, but I've rolled once. It only takes one bad roll to never roll again.
>>
>>49930414
1) Most people dont even roll stat
2) Rolling a 18 rarely happen
3) You group have to let you allocate your roll stat freely and not rolling in order
4) The guy was asking for advice and your epeen flaunting doesn't help him in anyway. You need the star to align to start with 18 DEX. So the question remain the same, why do you think telling him that "LOL MY Rogue AC is 19" would help him build his character in anyway?

Hell I could even say... My Wizard AC is 25! You just need your DM to give you magic item! How would that advice be any helpful?
>>
>>49930479
>1) Most people dont even roll stat
Sorry my experiences differ from yours
>2) Rolling a 18 rarely happen
Sorry my experiences differ from yours
>3) You group have to let you allocate your roll stat freely and not rolling in order
Never played with a group that didn't allow free allocation of stats. Sorry my experiences differ from yours.
>4) The guy was asking for advice and your epeen flaunting doesn't help him in anyway. You need the star to align to start with 18 DEX. So the question remain the same, why do you think telling him that "LOL MY Rogue AC is 19" would help him build his character in anyway?

>Hell I could even say... My Wizard AC is 25! You just need your DM to give you magic item! How would that advice be any helpful?

Jesus Christ, why are you so pissy? By saying "I have this" I was giving him an example of a dex-based character with high AC, which is what he is going to want to be tanky. That's it. So you can take your attitude, and fuck off.
>>
>>49930262
Bladesinger, and if you want to be super flashy bladesinger with battle master.
>>
Making a vengeance pally. Is Con or Cha more important to bump?
>>
>>49930545
Are you the only front line fighter?
Con.
Are you just melee dps/off healer?
Cha.
>>
You guys seen any good homebrew for goblins, hobgoblins and/or bugbears?

Think they're better as individual races, or as "subraces" for a larger goblinoid race?
>>
What do you think of my stat rolls /5eg/?
STR 33, DEX 28, CON 28, INT 26, WIS 37, CHA 36.
>>
>>49930605
Pathetic. Your main stat should at least be 50.
>>
>>49930506
Your experience doesn't offer any help to that guy whatsoever. You are the one who should leave.
>>
>>49930601
Just reskin existing races, and replace the existing races' language with the new one.
>>
>>49930605
>only 28 in CON
RIP.
>>
>>49928238
As long as you make sure to cloud their minds with the urge to rape the PCs, it should be fine.
>>
>>49930406
Most DMs are twats and don't realize how unbalanced it is.

Last time I rolled stats someone had two 3s. Never again.
>>
>>49930605
>rolling stats
This is why you don't role.

You get completely screwed over by a bunch of bad rolls.
>>
Whats the best adventure/campaign for 5E??
>>
>>49929913
I want to fugg Priest of Auril while she wears Priest of Loviatar's outfit
>>
Need some advice. Playing a wild sorcerer and, because campaign and backstory reasons, I'm going to have to duel an eldritch knight soon. Assuming a wild surge doesn't kill me, what spell selection would work for this fight? I'd imagine things along the line of hold person. I've got heighten spell to help with locking him down.

7th level right now, close to 8th though so I'll be 8th or 9th by the time we do this.
>>
>>49930295
I remember a time I used Wish to teleport a boss barbarian to the bottom of the ocean when we fought on a series of ships.

Fuck that spell is fun if your DM is.
>>
>>49930828
One homebrew'd by an experienced DM. Adventure paths really do feel like set paths.
>>
>>49930406
lol what
I've played for around 10 years and used rolling for maybe the first few months
Having recently introduced a new group to 5e I used point buy because everyone agreed rolling was a bad idea
>>
>>49930862
Seventh level?

Polymorph, win by default
>>
>>49930837
Not the priestess of loviatar's outfit?
>>
>>49930927

I've come across a homebrewed campaign that didn't suck monkey balls yet the DM that wrote it always thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then the same DM usually has a cadre of ass kissing players who are so fucking terrified of not having a DM that they slobber all over the guy to reinforce his belief.

Play LMoP and then Curse if Strahd or Storm Kings Thunder.
>>
>>49930406
I have played with exactly one gm that made me roll in two years

And he was terrible
>>
>>49930941
I've started on AD&D 2e, and have been playing since. The only one I didn't play on was 4e, because my group stayed with 3.5. Every character I have ever made, from my first, basic fighter, to my current rogue, I have rolled stats.
>>
>>49930984
Wow I'm so sorry, sounds bad desu senpai
>>
I wanna GM but my entire social circle is just alcoholics and dudebros (same thing really)

Tried GMing Roll20 but its hard to find non shit players, and frankly staring at a screen talking to people I dont know through a mic is really no fun, and I have a harder time RPing when I'm not in a room with people

Looked at my flgs but its just magic shit, they sell 5e books but the owner said none of the regulars play dnd.

What do 5eg, I wanna take people on an adventure
>>
>>49931014
Maybe ask the store owner if you can put an advertisement there
Or see if there's any groups nearby - unis / colleges are good for that
>>
>>49930992
Why are you sorry? If I get a shitty roll on a stat, then that is simply a new way I have to play the character. Unintended flaws like that can be pretty fun if you are willing to work with it. And a string of bad luck on rolls can be tossed out by a DM who says "Yeah, that shit sucks, re-roll."
>>
>>49931039
>re-rolling
Why even roll in the first place if you're gonna do this?
If only there was a way to determine stats without rolls.
>>
>>49929913
The amazing part is that Ao is represented in that picture.
>>
Wtf, Amaunator is back, Bane is back, Bhaal is back, Leira is back, Myrkul is back.
What the shit?
>>
>>49931052
Not him.
In my group have a rule that says if all your stats are below 15 you get to re-roll. if our DM feels nice when we're having new players he let's them re-roll once regardless. But our DM also does this so he can throw bigger enemies at us erlier.
>>
>>49927983
They are the same as the other D&D pre-painted minis that you buy online. They work with the various pathfinder and D&D random sets you can get.

Most of the Attackwing stuff are straight copies, but tend to be a bit more expensive than buying the individual older models.
>>
Is booming blade the spellstrike of 5e?
>>
>>49931227
That and GFB
>>
>>49930356
I typically do a montage approach. I describe, in short detail, their travel through the city. An easy way is just to glance at the map and look at what path they would take, then describe that path and a few details they would see. Especially any key points of interest.

Be prepared for immediate side tracking, players often go 'wait, what was that, I go check that out'.
>>
>>49930506

I just woke up and I feel the need to inform you that you're a retard.
>>
>>49930862
>>49930951
This. Turn him into a mouse and overkill him with overwhelming damage.

Or turn yourself into a Giant Ape (157hp, 10feet reach, 3d10+6 twice)
>>
>>49931137
WotC realised that they're not as good at fluff as TSR.
>>
>>49930951
>>49931426
isn there an issue with counterspell?
I mean unless you burn through his spell slots
>>
>>49931227
Not really. unless you use with it Eldritch Knight, who get bonus action to attack with Cantrip
>>
>>49931446
Level 7 Eldritch Knight shouldn't have counter spell. They don't get 3rd level spell until level 12.
>>
>>49931426
You do realize he turns back into a person when you reduce him to zero hitpoints right.

You have to seal the mouse into a durable glass container, then drop it into the ocean. The mouse will survive until the glass breaks several thousand feet under the surface, and turn into a human, which now has to contend with drowning, and if his ascent is rapid enough, the bends.
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 443x654px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 443x654px
Any thoughts on using a STR based rogue? Any weird little tricks or tips?

Was thinking str/cha swashbuckler but not sure. We don't have any other players using CHA-focused characters so I'll need to fill the social gap a little.
>>
>>49931650
Strength based rogues make the 2nd best grapplers.
>>
>>49931650
You can't sneak attack without a finesse weapon. But if you use a finesse weapon, what's the point of going strength?
>>
>>49931670
You have to use a finesse weapon, yes, but nowhere does it day you have to use the finesse property of the weapon.
>>
>>49931619
Yeah, but a mouse has 1 hp. Any excess damage carry over to human form.
>>
>>49931698
What he means is finesse weapons are weaker, and in this case for no advantage.
>>
>>49930545
Depending on what level you think you are getting to, cause Aura of Protection is really really strong. I've pumped Cha with my paladin and my team slowly began just making all their saves.

But having only 12 Con did not feel great.
>>
>>49927787
My DM gave me a Staff of Power at level 3, i was a sorcerer. The barbarian wanted to kill himsef, feelsgoodman
>>
>>49931722
Rapier is d8, pretty decent really.
>>
>>49931738
The question is why you'd want to go Str as a rogue then, when the only advantage is better athletics and possibly better armor if you invest feats or multiclass levels.
>>
>>49931706
So all you're doing with polymorph is using an action letting the other guy try to waste your turn with a wisdom saving throw, which if you are successful, will ultimately reduce the damage taken by your next spell by one.

What's the point of polymorph if all you're going to do is cast a damaging spell right after?
>>
What are some great persons from actual history I could play as and what would be their classes?

Everyone in my group except DM is brain impaired when it comes to history so no one will find out
>>
>>49931757
RP I guess?
Not everything is mechanism driven. Especially since D&D isn't a competitive game.
>>
>>49931847
Daniel Daly
Freddie Mercury
Olympias
Medea
>>
>>49931805
lower his saving throw to 0 or lower for the next round.

Also allow you or your familiar to grab him and drop him down for maximum falling damage.
>>
>>49931848
No, your character isn't mechanism driven, but your mechanisms should be character driven.
If your character is a shitty striker and not dextrous, why would they be a (full) rogue? Why wouldn't they have trained with more weapons and better armor so they could be a better skullbreaker/enforcer instead, represented by a level in fighter? It makes more sense for the character to pursue the mechanical benefits that would justify the "build" of the crunch, doesn't it?
>>
>>49931880
So you're giving them effectively two saving throws, with the second at a reduced effectiveness. Statistically, I think its probably a wash, and certainly not worth wasting your polymorph for.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 900x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 900x750px
>>49931847
Play Saladin as a Paladin
>>
Our DM wants to start a new Group using 3.5, cause he owns all the books.
How can I convince him to play 5th instead?
>>
>>49931902
You can also cast stuff like sleep after polymorph. Too bad they don't have Disintergrate at level 7. Since Polymorph into Disintergrate will actually kill him.
>>
>>49931931
By having the rest of the group agree with you, and if he still refuses to run the system that the group prefers, start meeting without him and have someone DM what you want to play.
>>
>>49931931
By someone else dming.

DMs are more valuable than you. If you want to control what is played, step up.
>>
>>49931947
>>49932002
Well yeah... I wanted to try to convince him though, cause he's a good DM. He just can't be bothered to care about 5th. What are the essential points, that 5th gets right and 3.5 doesn't?
>>
File: 1433124661523.gif (1MB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
1433124661523.gif
1MB, 448x252px
>>49932002
>DMs are more valuable than players
As a DM, fuck off.
Every person in a group is their own person. Perhaps you think you're important because you're the only one willing to lay down prep time and GM thus far, but you don't control the players. They can elect to meet without you as easily as you can try to drop them.
>>
>>49932020
5e is straight forward and cuts off a lot of fat the previous editions had. Also does balancing fairly well.
>>
>>49932020
It's simple. Since say too simple, and a player of 3.5 might not appreciate the simplicity.
>>
>>49932046
>>49932058
I'll try my luck. Thanks.
>>
>>49932037
>Try
If players electing to not play was as costly to the hobby as a dm deciding not to dm there wouldn't be a 50 app surplus for games on roll20.

My advice is based on reality, but also the healthiest for the community: if you don't like something, dm yourself. If players actually followed it, forever dming wouldn't be a thing, DMs would actually face competition for players and have to step up their game.

So fuck you too buddy. Your self depreciating delusions are actually harmful to the community.

T. Another dm.
>>
File: 1280px-Sun_Bear_3.jpg (167KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Sun_Bear_3.jpg
167KB, 1280x852px
>>49932171
>People being such insufferable DMs that their players would rather leave are better people than their players just because they DM
>>
>>49932223
If it creates more DMs who try to do better, then yes. Pretty simple calculation IMO. The only people who disagree are the ones who wouldn't be able to dm if DMs had actual competition.
>>
>>49932258
The player who steps up and DMs and saves the group is doing good, yes. The old DM who failed is not.

Just because you're currently DMing doesn't make you more important the others outside of the game, though. The entire table should agree on something when starting a new campaign. The DM might express a preference for system or campaign, and the players may choose to heed it as a courtesy of them and because a good DM will be more informed having spent more time reading about such things, but this doesn't mean the players should be disregarded in their preference. It's a group effort.
>>
Has anyone actually stopped to think about what kind of world a Points of Light setting would result in?

I'm thinking permanent siege mentality a la zombie apocalypse. But few points of light settings can justify how their cities can survive when no one can farm...
>>
>>49932302
What you're expressing is the ideal. But right now we're far from ideal, and if nobody at the table is willing to dm except for the guy who likes 3.5, then the guys at the table can fuck off or play 3.5. I guarantee you most groups will choose to play rather than fuck off, but they wouldn't have to make that choice if they'd step up and dm.

As long as you aren't willing to dm yourself, you your opinions are just advisory, and have no real power in the group's decision making. A great dm will take them into account, as is ideal, but average DMs, and since good ones can and will ignore them.
>>
>>49932351
What makes sense is there isn't a constant seige, and farming is done close to the points of light and is well defended besides. The space between civilizations is vast and dangerous, but not literally teeming with murderous beasts and violent races every step of the way.
>>
>>49932121
Try DMing a 5e one shot for him. He'd probably appreciate the chance to play.
>>
>>49932351
create food and water

CASTERS
A
S
T
E
R
S
>>
Thinking of homebrewing this as a level 5 class feature for Fighters and Rogues:

Parry
Starting at level 5, when wielding a buckler in one hand and a melee weapon attack is made against you, you may use your reaction to make a Dexterity save with the attacker's attack bonus as a penalty. If you succeed, the attack misses completely and you may make a melee attack against the attacker with Advantage. If you fail, the attack hits and your buckler has a 30% chance of being destroyed.

Thoughts?
>>
File: defensive duelist.gif (5MB, 717x296px) Image search: [Google]
defensive duelist.gif
5MB, 717x296px
>>49932417
take a look at BM features, MM abilities and Defensive Duelist and balance off that
>>
>>49931847
Rasputin would be a bard probably. With 24 Con. Or maybe with that barbarian ability that lets you make a save to not die.
>>
>>49932417
Bucklers don't exist in 5e, anon.
>>
>>49932417
Why is it only for those classes? If you want to just make bucklers a thing, just have it give 1 AC, and reaction to grant an extra 2 AC. Need to be proficient in martial weapons to be proficient in it, or you can select classes that would know how to use it.

You can even be nice and say a buckler allows you to use defensive duelist. So no finesse weapon required.
>>
>>49932417
What the hell kind of protective item is destroyed 30% of the time doing what it's designed to? I'm all for a bit of gamism here and there but that shit's ridiculous.

The whole mechanic and item itself is a waste of time, besides. Toss.
>>
>>49932417
Parry: As a reaction, make an attack roll against an opponent that just attacked you in melee. If your parry roll exceeds the enemy's attack roll, the attack is parried and does no damage.

Improved parry: you may do this with ranged attacks.

Magic parry (wiz/sorc 2), abjuration: Target a shield. For a number of rounds equal to your level, after being the target of a spell, you may use a reaction to roll an attack against your opponent's spellcasting roll. If your parry roll exceeds the enemy's casting roll, the spell is parried and has no effect.
>>
>>49932351
Have cities that are mostly empty. Coastal cities that can support a fishing industry will do the best, but say that a lot of them have just degraded to the point where they're no good for anything except a place to hide. Maybe a lot of former castles are now more like Helm's Deep, places where communities flee to when they need defense, but that have no permanent residents.
>>
>>49932417
This is literally the worst homebrew I have seen in /tg/.
>>
>>49932391
>>49932351
I like the idea of a setting where civilization is in the middle of swift collapse, though. A real sense of grinding hopelessness. Strong places being broken or starved out until it feels like the enemy is the main character and you're just a random encounter in their story, soon to be forgotten.

It was a good idea, but a bad fit for the superheroic scale of 4e. It would be a much better setting for old-school RPGs where PCs are always in real danger of death, sometimes there are fights you just have to run from, and settings aren't babyproofed with a system to shield PCs from challenges too hard for them.
>>
>>49932037
>their own person
What has this got to do with the value of a DM? Without people that enjoy running games, there is no hobby and you would just be playing a board game. Bad DMs exist solely because other people refuse to step up, even if they would enjoy DMing more.

If you are a person that makes dozens of characters for fun in a system, you should be DMing instead.

>>49932223
>better people
We're not talking about their rights or the general viewpoint of everyone is equal you sperg. This is about how DMs are in demand and players are not.
>>
>>49933270
Eh, you just need to handwave the logistical problems with some convenient fantastical shenanigans and you're good. Some magic created food here, improbably efficient crops there, massive walled in farmlands guarded with the same tenacity other settings save for their nobility, there's ways to go about it.
>>
>>49933335
Did you read my post? I don't want that. If I wanted a setting where everything is okay and stable, I wouldn't want to run something like Points of Light. I want not enough food for the winter, not enough guards for the next orc raid, not enough magic to solve any large-scale problem at all, and the looming question of what the hell to do about it.
>>
>>49933327
I'm not talking about their rights or citizenship. I'm talking about the say they should have in the way games progress. It's a social contract, if they trust the DM to decide things they can, and this is required to an extent in a game, but every participant should be open to the pre-planning of the game, deciding things like setting and system.
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 1064x751px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 1064x751px
>>49933327
Out of curiosity, where are you that there are so few willing and able DMs? In my close circle and among our extended group of gamers here we are all itching to run games, often writing up ideas and story points during downtime because there's so little to do between sessions if you just play characters. When someone's story arc is done it's like wolves to a slaughter people selling their story trying to be next in the DM chair.
>>
>>49933335
I did this.

A setting which is a massive city that has been sealed from the outside world during a true apocalypse, saving this small section from the disaster but a massive glut of refugees are besically packed into a city the rough land mass of Houston, TX - huge sprawling mess.

The city has to dedicate a huge chunk of land to feeling over a million people, the economic classes are at an extreme even for D&D, and most people survive on a tasteless paste grown by druids that is essentially a mass produced goodberry. It has the urban part of the city be the most affluent, where magic and whatever else is super common and he middle class works for the upper crust as well as housing a college to preserve and advance magic. The suburbs are slums with ramshackle buildings and loads of crime, and it takes military control to hand out the food portions. The dream job is to make the cut into the military ranks, but many don't want to do that because they hate the government as is.
>>
>>49932417
Why would you homebrew a class feature for a class that has an archetype that gives it an ability called the same thing? (Fighter, BattleMaster, PHB 74)

Much better to do it as a feat, see:
>>49932995

Improved Parry:
+1 DEX or STR
As a reaction, you may make an attack roll against and attack that just damaged you. If your attack roll is higher than the roll of the attack that damaged you you may:
-Gain resistance from the attack, and attempt to hit the creature with an Opportunity Attack using the attack roll you just made.
-Negate the damage from the attack.

How does this sound? The Stat bonus doesn't need to be included if you don't want.
>>
>>49933454
I swear to fuck if the paste is people...
>>
>>49929139
>malware in them there codes
CTFY
>>
>>49928984
There is, kind of shitty though
>>
>>49933516
Ground up poor babies who're bought from their parents for an extra weeks ration.
>>
Soooo we went against all advice and decided to turn our session into a podcast. Website isn't live yet, but it is up on Soundcloud.

Would anyone want to listen to it if I posted it here?
>>
What is the best in-session snack for me to bring? Chips make finger greasy... Piazza crust goes everywhere...
>>
>>49933383
You shouldn't use 5e for that system. It's really bad for survival type of game.
>>
>>49934041
Jerky
>>
>>49933454
>people being reluctant to do serve those with power out of moral indignation
This truly is a whimsical game, of make believe most fantastic
>>
>>49934149
It's almost as if it's a fantasy setting that makes no sense sociologically.
>>
>>49934041
Pretzels are the best tabletop gaming snack
>>
File: 1459697765696.png (309KB, 306x531px) Image search: [Google]
1459697765696.png
309KB, 306x531px
>>49934482
Are you referring to large soft pretzels or tiny crunchy pretzels?
Choose carefully.
>>
>>49934527
either way these pretzels are making me thirsty
>>
>>49934041
Pretzels and beer are good choices. Trail mix is also solid. Sometimes I'll do sunflower seeds or jelly beans.
>>
File: image.jpg (654KB, 1600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
654KB, 1600x2400px
>>49927787
>OP DM question

My players found a box that would double any one object you put in to it, and had three uses. One was used in a story, the second they used to make a second immovable rod. They're still saving the third use.

This has been annoying because having two immovable rods has allowed them to cheat a lot of obstacles that would have been far more interesting to puzzle out differently. It's almost become a crutch because they default every obstacle to "how can we beat this with the two rods" and it's getting really tedious. I want them to lose the rods, in a way that feels natural, but it's a pain.

The second reason this box is annoying is because it has one last use, and because of the immovable rod issue, I'm now having to second guess every little artifact they find, magical or otherwise, which is just eating up my brainpower and time at this point.
>>
When can a PDF of Volo's guide be expected to be in the trove?
>>
>>49934586
Top kek
>>49934527
Small ones. I mean don't get me wrong I love soft pretzels but they're often too greasy for gaming.
>>
>>49934031
It's 4chan, you'll get shit for it
>>
>>49934670
SKT took a week or two from release, I think most other stuff is similar
>>
>>49934587
Trail mix is a good idea.
>>
>>49934741
SKT was the rare one that ended up online just a day or two after its official street date, most take 2 to 6 weeks.
>>
>>49934741
>>49934757
Cool, thanks. Hopefully it gets up faster than the norm then.
>>
>>49934757

Strange I could've sworn I was reading Curse of Strahd pdf a couple of days after or probably that was Death House? It's been a while.
>>
>>49934031
What's the worst that could happen? Get made fun of by Internet strangers?
>>
>>49934757
Huh, I swear I remember people bitching and moaning for a while about not having it.
Maybe that was Strahd or something.
>>
>>49934651
>give your players an interesting item
>they use it to make another item work well for them
>wahhh why are they having fun using it

Fuck off. Let your players destroy them at some point.
>>
I fucked up 5eg
I wished for a breadnaught
And the dm gave me an infinitely expanding loaf of living bread
It expands 3x it's size every night.
The fuck do I do
It's unkillable
>>
>>49934892
>The fuck do I do
Eat it
>>
>>49934892
>It's unkillable
So can't you burn it? eat it? Magic it?
>>
File: e6c.gif (1000KB, 364x193px) Image search: [Google]
e6c.gif
1000KB, 364x193px
>>49934892
>>
>>49934892
put it in bag of holding. put another bag of holding inside it.
>>
>>49934892
Eat 2/3 of it every day
>>
>>49934922
>>49934957
>>49934967
>>49935002
One party member ate a slice of it and died in his sleep. If consumed it grows at a faster rate, eating the person rather than digesting the bread
>>
>>49935030
And you can't burn it or fix it with magic?
>>
File: breadmaster.gif (1MB, 519x301px) Image search: [Google]
breadmaster.gif
1MB, 519x301px
>>49934892
you've been giving a gift.
become pic related
>>
>>49935030
what the fuck did you wish with/on anon?
>>
>>49934892
Throw it in the ocean
>>
>>49935030
Put it in a bag of holding and rip the bag. Breadnaught is no longer a problem.
>>
>>49935048
Nope
>>49935059
Asmodeus himself couldn't tell me what it was or how to kill it
I opened a chest and a dark voice in my head told me to ask for my deepest desires
>>
>>49935082
I tried that.
It ate it's way out of the bag
It purrs when near me
>>
>>49934892
Plane shift it to the abyss. The abyss is infinite and also a shithole, so it's probably a good choice.
>next campaign you're in, one of the abyss' layers is made entirely of bread.
>>
>>49935091
Well anon, looks like you got a case of 'a bag of potatoes' on your hands.
>>
>>49935030
Send it to another plane, preferably fire
>>
>>49935118
>it purrs when near you
...you don't suppose you'd have any different fate if YOU ate some, do you?
>>
>>49935188
>eternally growing loaf of burnt bread
>eventually consumes the fire plane becoming a breadlord
Panic
>>
>>49933437
I have no idea how you don't realize how it is basically anywhere else. Just look at roll20 or check at a FLGS, GMs are essentially constantly wanted. There are even groups that are friends and want to play together but nobody wants to GM so they look for one on r20 or whatever. In general GMs are rarer than players, even taking into consideration GM to player ratio in each game.
>>
>>49933516
Nah, it's the inside of a pumpkin-like thing. It's grey colored but normally dyed to make it more palatable. I actually took the idea from the imaginary dinner in Hook where the lost boys ate multicolored goop like it was some sort of real food.

>>49933638
It was a shitty place to live, but not grimdark.

>>49934149
Doesn't have to original if the players like it.

>>49934189
As if sociologists can accurately predict anything as a group.
>>
>>49935315
>not wanting toast elementals
Time to wish for living butter
>>
File: 1473745125985.png (45KB, 228x233px) Image search: [Google]
1473745125985.png
45KB, 228x233px
>At first level, PHB warlocks get a short rest action to charm or frighten things that fail a save in a 10 foot cube, or Cha + Level temp HP when they drop a creature with no expiry time, or no action required telepathy that can cross language barriers
>Undying gets a cantrip that automatically passes a dc10 medicine check and makes undead SOMETIMES not want to hit you, but they can catch you in AoE and if they succeed once they're good for a whole day, and if you harm them at all it does nothing
>At 6th PHB get short rest reaction 60 ft teleport and invisibility til their next turn when they take damage, short rest 1d10 bonus to an ability check or saving throw, and short rest reaction disadvantage on any attacker, and if they miss you get advantage on your next attack
>Undying gets a long rest 1d8+Con self heal when the pass a death save (come on, that heal is practically useless when you use it stabilizing a companion, and you can't even heal THEM with it)
>At 10 PHB get immunity to charming and reactions to try and turn back a charm on anyone who tries, resistance to any damage type switchable at long rest, and immunity to mind reading plus resistance and reflecting psychic damage
>Undying gets no need to breathe, eat, or sleep and extends their remaining life by 10 times (Hey look they still die eventually)
>14 PHB gets short rest action 60 ft range save or charm/frighten creature and make it think it's trapped with you in an illusion realm, long rest on any attack hit 10d10 damage and remove from combat until the end of your next turn, and an indefinite charm/telepathy link
>Undorking can short rest use a bonus action to regain 1d8 + Level HP and reattach a severed limb (which can't be caused by anything RAW?)
Are they actually unplayable? Because the flavor is fantastic, but they seem so lackluster compared to the broad-use abilities of others.
>>
>>49935665
>Are they actually unplayable?
Nothing in 5e is unplayable.
>>
>>49935665
They're weak compared to every other warlock option, but they're still warlocks so above average.
>>
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/10/volos-guide-to-monsters.html

More previews from VGtM.
>>
>>49935665
>(which can't be caused by anything RAW?)
Does the head count as a limb? Because vorpal swords can take off heads. Stil lsucks since ring of regeneration flat out regrows a limb, no old limb necessary.
>>
Anyone got a good full orc home brew I could use?
Thinking about making a Orc Bard.
>>
File: 1471463503852.jpg (37KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1471463503852.jpg
37KB, 500x281px
>>49935687
>>49935709
It just seems like the features are too specific to see use.
I mean, the first level ability does nothing but give you a cantrip that removes the danger from a DC 10 medicine check (at worse 50/50 if you have -1 wis, and you have other party members that could do it or even heal them and bring them back up) unless you actually fight undead, and then you can't benefit if you actually *fight* them, which is about all you can do since warlocks are blasters with few support spells and fewer spell slots.
At 6 you get a nifty little once a day revive, but you need to already fall unconscious and survive long enough to get lucky and succeed a death saving throw.
10 is very cool, but offers very very little mechanical benefit while the others all get flavorful but combat beneficial abilities.
At 14 you get Second Wind, which is pretty useful, as is the reattached limb thing, but that's really...niche.
>>
>>49935814
Wait a few weeks for Volo's Guide to Monsters to come out, the player race for them is in there.
>>
>>49935859
Sweet, thanks for telling me, I'm really new to this kind of thing....
>>
>>49930525
I'm playing a bladesinger in a campaign right now and took 2 levels of paladin for sword boom and dueling fighting style. Never gonna look back.
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-answers-and-errata-october-2016

More PHB errata is out.

Highlights:
- EKs can switch out non-school spells by RAW
- Minor conjuration objects disappear if they deal any damage
- True resurrection can restore undead creatures to their non-undead form

I'll work on putting proper comments in for the new errata in the PHB and upload it to the Mega.
>>
>>49934846
I think it was SCAG.
>>
>>49934879
He was just answering the OP's question.
I'm sure he's glad they're having fun, but it can be a letdown when things don't go the way you planned.
Furthermore, as he said, making sure he doesnt give them something that would completely break the game when duplicated is frustrating.
>>
I need some help with making a bard for a friend, I don't know what college they want so I'd mostly just like suggestions on what is the best and what fills what roles in the party as well as what races work best for them.
>>
>>49936233
College of Satire so they can meme on everyone.
>>
I don't like the brutal critical ruling. Feels...wonky to me.
>>
>>49934716
>>49934031
Yeah you right.

https://soundcloud.com/bardsandnobles

Ep. 1 Maiden Voyage

Grill us?
>>
>>49936305
It's always been like that.
That's literally the only advantage of a greataxe.
>>
>>49934879
The first use was clever as fuck for the story didn't even see it coming and it was great. The double rods tho is something 4/5 of them are starting to dislike and find boring, but it's "the easy way" so they keep defaulting to them as the first (and often only way) to get through stuff. Making anti-magic zones has helped and they had a lot of fun puzzle solving outside the bars, but that's a trick I can't keep using either. I feel it's repetitive, so do they, now we have to story a way to fix it that makes sense.

Dunno bout you but we try to story craft together. This isn't a huge mistake, it's just the only one I could think of that's on topic and led to some tedious gameplay and annoying planning after the fact. I'm sure the rods will meet a glorious end at the exact wrong moment for them and laughs will be had. As for the last use of the box, I'm waiting until the greedy dwarf gets drunk and rolls a 1, and throws something stupid in the box to waste the last use in an amusing way.
>>
>>49934651
Moral of the story: don't fuck with immovable rods
>>
>>49935601
We tend to always meet at one of our FLGSs not for D&D but other games, and it's not an issue there. I honestly have never used roll20 maybe we're all just grognards and it's not for us.

But honestly, and I'm not trying to attack you or start shit or anything, I just hear this lack of DM thing here and there and it's just not part of our reality so I'm genuinely curious about it. Why do you think there's a lack? Is it geographical or age related?

Fwiw our gaming circle is all 30-45, living in Toronto.
>>
>>49936233
Bards want CHA for spells and abilities, DEX for AC and CON for the same reason everyone wants CON. If they go Valor they'll also want DEX for hitting people.
Lore Bards get extra skills, more spells fro mother classes, and special reaction-based usage of bardic inspiration to hinder your foes. This is in addition to everything the bard already gets.
Valor Bards get medium armor, shield, and martial weapon proficiency, an extra melee attack at 6, inspired allies can add inspiration to their damage or AC instead of just hit, and at high levels get to make a single weapon attack after caster a spell as a bonus action. I would say it's not really worth it.
Go Lore. Bard is skillmonkey/caster hybrid in the best way possible. Half elf gets +2 CHA and 2 free +1s you'll likely want to put in DEX and CON, I'd go with them.
>>
>>49936368
Come up with a puzzle that requires the use of both rods permanently installed. How about a deathtrap dungeon that teleports into the sky and will fall to the ground without two appropriately spaced load-bearing rods activated in sync?
>>
>>49936327
Meh; just feels wonky to me, and my groups have never played it that way.
>>
>>49936474
Sorry your groups don't have basic reading comprehension senpai
>>
>>49936437
Not that guy but I think it's two things:
One is obviously effort - let's be honest it's more work to GM than play by a wide margin
And the other I'm not sure how to describe - players get to interact with the world while the GM just runs how it reacts, hence why a lot of bored or frustrated GMs run GMPCs to try and get that feeling
>>
File: tmp_26141-tizok-k3777490547.jpg (664KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_26141-tizok-k3777490547.jpg
664KB, 1200x1600px
Goliath Eagle Totem Barbarian / Open Hand Monk

Unleash the 300 foot spinning piledrivers
>>
>>49936527
>Sorry your groups don't have basic reading comprehension senpai

I'd agree if I could find a reference in the PHB that says that, other than the very newest printing.
>>
I'm playing a wizard who plays around with magic item making on his downtime. DM made me take the skilled feat to get proficiency in several tools. Level 4 spells came around and he dropped a scroll of Fabricate. The DM did not read the spell much and I am salivating because this will help so much. How is he going to jew me over now?
>>
>>49936271
If it was another of my friends there'd be no other choice and with this one that may be the case as well.
>>49936454
That's what I was thinking of suggesting but I wanted all the options and figured that you guys had more experience with 5e to know what runs smoothly.
>>
>>49936575
Good thing the absolute fucking mess Goliaths make of the rules isn't in 5e
>>
>>49936631
They're in the EEPC and now confirmed to be reprinted in VGtM.
>>
>>49936604
Literally cannot
If you want you can now absolutely fuck your game's economy by buying the equivalent weight of iron and turning it into plate armor.
>>
File: 1477337111141-2113582128.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1477337111141-2113582128.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>49936584
Right there you illiterate mongoloid. This is a first printing of the PHB too.
>>
Is there any feat that goes well with a Polearm Master/Sentinel combo?
>>
>>49936654
Yeah, but powerful build is nerfed so they're no longer as huge of a problem.
>>
>>49934482
>bringing salty bread as your snack
My group would not invite you back. That's an insult.
>>
>>49936631
Does it count as making a mess of the rules that they're the only race that can actually do anything dragging related if you follow the non-variant encumbrance rules on the PHB?
>>
>>49936699
warcaster if you're a warlock with repelling blast.

They come within 10 feet of you, and you get to blast them back.

if you can convince your DM to let you, you can try to go for tunnel fighting fighting style. But most sane DMs won't allow that until level 10 at least (that's when I feel that it's reasonable).
>>
>>49936699
Great weapon fighting for power attacking with your 2handed polearm.
>>
>>49936699
You have the most synergy already. If you're still open for feats, Tough and Resilient (CON) are good options for what I assume is a tanky build. Otherwise, Lucky and Alert are never really wasted.
>>
>>49936686
Again--I would agree if there was a thing that said, "Oh, if you have a weapon that technically has two dice as your "weapon damage", you get to roll only one of those two dice, but only for the purposes of Brutal Critical. Regular crits are unaffected."

Btw, I'm stealing "illiterate mongoloid". That's glorious...
>>
>>49936745
>>49936747

Forgot about GWM, that's probably your next best bet.
>>
>>49936762
It says one additional die faggot, either you guys can't read or can't count.
Which is it?
>>
>>49934651
Give the duplicated items a sinister or cursed quality that wasn't immediately obvious, but would eventually persuade the players to ditch them.
>>
>>49936745
>>49936747
>>49936769
Ok GWM it is
>>
>>49936762
Holy shit I'm actually being rused.

Just in case you're actually autistic, the wording of Brutal Critical explicitly says that you're only able to roll ONE extra weapon damage die on a crit. You then get extra dice rolls at 13th and 17th levels. If a weapon has multiple damage dice, you only get one more of those, as 2d6 is not one die but two dice.

The Half-orc's Savage Attacks racial feature functions in the same way.

These two are why people choose to have a Half-orc barbarian with a greataxe; at 9th level you get to roll 4d12 on an axe crit instead of 6d6 with a sword or maul.
>>
>>49929695
Not that anon, but a DMPC tends to be not as fulfilling. You really should try to get in as a player. Tell your players you're getting burned out, ask them if they want to step up and run a game.
>>
>>49937000
Fresh memes ahoy boys.
>>
Working on expanded naval rules for a heavily-maritime setting. Have thus far handled ship-to-ship engagement narratively, as the party has thus far been paying for passage rather than commanding a vessel, but I'd like to have something functional before they get there.

This is extreme-alpha mode and I'll be playtesting with a couple of my DM buddies, but do any of these sound totally incompatible with 5e?
- Ships receive updated speed ratings; all other statistics unchanged from those in the DMG. New ship profiles should use these stats as a guideline.
- In combat, a player character may spend their action to attempt to maneuver (turn, change speed, or both) the vessel. If no PC does this, the ship moves it's full speed at the bottom of the round.
- Shipboard weapons use profiles like those of the siege weapon profiles given in the DMG. New shipboard weapons should use these profiles as a guideline.
- Shipboard weapons have a definite facing. While a deck or rail gun could theoretically fire in a wide arc, broadside cannons can only fire port or starboard. Weapons capacity is part of a ship's profile.
- To simplify shooting on ships with a high weapons count, multiple guns with the same facing can fire on a single attack roll. Each additional weapon adds +2 to hit and scores an additional hit for every degree of success, up to the number of weapons fired. See degrees of success rolls in the DMG.

I've got other working minutiae so far, but those are the basics. Entirely up the wrong tree here?
>>
>>49936885
lol
>>
>>49930837
>not selune's outfit

top pleb
it's all about dat silk gloved handjob

beshaba's stockings are nice too
>>
File: 909342-1165121765582mt5.jpg (52KB, 750x900px) Image search: [Google]
909342-1165121765582mt5.jpg
52KB, 750x900px
>>49931757
for dat grappler advantage + expertise in atlethics

it's not optimal, but not bad too. a great battlefield controller
>>
>>49936305
Which ruling would that be

BC seems pretty self explanatory
>>
Throwing a special Halloween one-shot for my players and I want to incorporate zombies in, but I want them to be more of a threat.

I'm thinking grapple attempts as an action (Athletics +4 from 14 STR plus prof).
Once grappled, they can attempt to bite the PC as a bonus action for 2d4+2.
Since the zombie will be throwing both arms around the PC, would it be unfair to give it advantage on its bite attack?
>>
I'm still building up my genocidal, holier-than-thou Paladin warlord and I wonder if there are any feats for manipulating crowds I should look into from bonus books ?
>>
>>49937369
no feats in anything but the PHB and Feats UA and I don't think anything matches that description
>>
What are some fun ways you could use Mold Earth or Shape Water?

Shape water seems more flavourful to fuck with people. If I can freeze water, does that mean I can ice a pond and be jesus?
>>
>>49937369
Not to aid manipulating crowds, but I love the "Inspring Leader" feat, rally a bunch of guards to help you fight and then double their HP pool.
>>
>>49927962
My group did one. Was alright, wasn't super engaging as to be expected.
>>
>>49937537
Lots of people are unaware if how much work it is to move a cubic foot of dirt or water. Those spells are the ultimate in hedge wizard convenience.
>>
>>49937094
Valor bard does the same job so much better.
>>
>>49937902
So they're pretty decent you think? The earth one seemed okay for slow tunneling but I'm not sure if that will come up in the game.

I figure if I get one of those endless water items the shape water one might allow me to do a bit more.
>>
>>49936385
>>49936455
>>49936812
Fantastic ideas thanks. Tho I'm sure you're all gone by now
>>
File: 1474620594817.jpg (480KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1474620594817.jpg
480KB, 1920x1200px
>>49927787
Help /tg/ I have to DM a campaign in two days, just got the news now and need a decent one shot campaign.

Iam a beginner DM is there any famous short campaign around here I can use ?
>>
>>49937910
but bard grappler themathically is so fuckin weird. it's done literally for the crunch

the idea of a brute criminal thug choking someone and stabbing him in the kidneys is far more grounded
>>
>>49938223

The Fey Sisters Fate by goodman games

The Wizards Amulet by Necromancer games

Assault on Gum Drop Mountain

Lost Mine of Phandelver
>>
File: paladino.jpg (67KB, 530x705px) Image search: [Google]
paladino.jpg
67KB, 530x705px
>>49938621
Thanks will check it out.
>>
So I'm running a 3-man campaign at the moment and about to give each character their first big "Magic Item treasure" and hit level 4.

Fighter is getting a +1 Maul that casts Earth-Tremor once a day at level 3, DC13 3d6 damage and prone.

Warlock is getting a +1 Rod of the Keeper that also takes the form of his pact blade, forming a +1 Whatever weapon he wants at the time. Also using a houserule that simply lets Pact-of-Blade use CHA to hit and damage to make using it at least as inticing as Eldrich-Blast spam.

Wizard I plan to give a handful of scrolls to of various levels from the library ruins in the place of a permanent item, not sure what amount is fair enough to be a pleasant reward when the other guys got cool weapons, as well as be enough to tide him over until the next time they get a boon to their gear where he will get a nice staff or wand.

Mage Armour x2, Magic Missle x2, Grease, Sleep, Catapult, Burning Hands, Witch Bolt, Ice-Knife, and topping out with Lightning Bolt, Fireball, Major Illusion, and Haste scrolls. 10 level 1 scrolls, 4 level 3 scrolls but he will have to roll Arcana to use them until they level again. Mostly stuff to free up the odd spell slot here or there or afford him to cast a couple extra offensive spells. Also hopefully get my players to try and maybe use spells other than Thunderwave and Shield. Is it too much even though they are consumables, and they are level 3? They are primarily for the wizard to use but the Warlock can also cast a good deal of those spells so they might try and share some of them.
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.