[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 346
Thread images: 25

File: Ahri_0.jpg (217KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
Ahri_0.jpg
217KB, 1215x717px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Last Session:
>>49927787

Thread Question:

What's the most weeaboo thing you've had happen in your sessions to date?
>>
Soooo we went against all advice and decided to turn our session into a podcast. First session is split up into two parts, with part two being uploaded next week. Only about an hour long, would love to get some feedback.

bardsandnobles.com
soundcloud.com/bardsandnobles
>>
>>49937000
All my players showed up with cropped anime tokens they took off gelbooru
>>
>>49937000
Nice trips
Weebiest thing that happened was we were in a samurai kingdom and had to make a haiku as part of a contest. I just copied Phoenix Wright's haiku about a mushroom.
>>
>>49937036
My players keep telling me I should do this, since I record the sessions anyway, but I never do.

>>49937043
I have a few players that take stuff from Zerochan...doesn't happen often, fortunately.
>>
>>49937052
Did you win?
What were the others?
>>
Reminder that more VGtM previews are out: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/10/volos-guide-to-monsters.html

A reprint of goliaths added to the list of confirmed races: orcs, goblins, firbolgs, tritons*, kenku*, catfolk, aasimar*, and goliaths

* - haven't seen the confirmation on these but have seen people talking about them at least.
>>
>>49937058
>not understanding the joy of editing hentai portraits into family friendly tokens
>>
>>49937036
that's a pretty good podcast name my guy. the only problem is that a good dnd game and good podcast material are pretty different. good luck tho
>>
>>49937154
Thanks! There was a lot of back and forth and how on the nose / how punny it needed to be to get some good traction. I'm proud that that was my suggestion from the beginning and it ended up winning out.

>>49937058
You totally should! If you have the equipment, then why not? The hardest part so far for us was getting recording situated, which we know there is still a lot of room for improvement on that front.
>>
>>49937104
>tanarruk
fey'ri confirmed?
>>
Working on a cleave homebrew now.

Basic idea is that you can cleave with a non finesse weapon, dealing lower damage to single targets, but higher overall damage. I feel that as a damage boost it's okay because it would require maneuvering the enemy into adjacent positions, and even if you could do it, it wouldn't always be optimal to do so.

Here is the basic rule:

When you make a melee attack with a non finesse weapon against a target, you can choose to cleave instead. To cleave, the target, and each creature adjacent to your target, and still within the reach of your weapon must make a dexterity saving throw against 8+Proficiency+Strength Mod. On a failed save, you can roll for damage as normal against that target, but with the die reduced by 1. A D12 becomes a D10 becomes a D8 becomes a D6 becomes a D4 becomes a 1.
>>
>>49937300
call it something else, cleave is a DMG variant
>>
File: dmg cleave.jpg (59KB, 350x256px) Image search: [Google]
dmg cleave.jpg
59KB, 350x256px
>>49937300
>>49937326
(here in case you wondered)
>>
>>49937300
It feels like this with a reach weapon is very very powerful. But how do classes get the ability to use this?
>>
>>49937380
I've considered either a feat or just making it a default option for any class, just like shoving is.

>>49937368
Suggestions? I'm not a fan of the approach to cleaving in the DMG (what does it look like narratively for instance), but avoiding confusion is a good idea too.
>>
>>49937416
>(what does it look like narratively for instance

You're mobbed by minions and just keep hacking away at them, scything down the entire group in one attack
>>
>>49937416
DMG Cleaving is cutting straight through (and I mean all the way through) a goblin into the goblin next to it
I guess I'd call it something like power attack or wide slash but how would that work with piercing weapons?
>>
>>49937451
I forget if power attack is a thing this edition, if it is then something like wild attack
>>
>>49937416
The first enemy you hit smacks the enemy next to him, who hits the enemy next to him, who hits Curly, who slaps Shemp.
>>
While I'm looking at the DMG rules, i just got a good idea for a boss fight.

our games are already somewhat meta, and one of the characters the players are about to fight wields "law magic" Do you think it would make for a fun combat session if this character was able to declare new rules and affect the game, like say by adopting speed factor initiative mid combat, or changing the injury rules? Assuming of course that her law magic affects her equally well?

>>49937451
Good point, I don't know if cleaving for piercing weapons makes sense. But a pierce through type ability would work. Which could use the same rules, but only work for targets directly behind the enemy relative to you.
>>
>>49937503
Players who break the law get red carded and sent to jail
>>
Any ideas for a challenging spellcaster boss fight? Sadly it's just the Black Spider in Lost Mines so I don't have much to go on.

>>49937000

thanks for reminding me the gallons of semen i lost to this bitch i don't even play her game
>>
>>49937230
I probably won't, but I do plan on novelizing my upcoming campaign, which should be interesting. I actually hate the sound of my voice, and I suck as accents, even if I'm told that I'm a pretty good DM.
>>
>>49937592
Three Dimensional map with Web occupying areas above the players heads.

The spider knows Reverse Gravity for no adequately explained reason.
>>
>>49937592
three dimensional spider web, held up by number of players plus one structural threads. The threads span the chasm the web is in, and have AC 15, 10 HP, vulnerability to fire and resistance to piercing.

As each structural thread is destroyed, the web reconfigures (draw up 5 maps)

If left to it's own devices, the spider will just sit in the web and shoot globs of poison or webbing at the players.
>>
>>49937000
Pretty much every time some pays a monk in my games that player just goes full-weeaboo and makes the character some sort of anime rip off. I'll be honest I'm considering either removing the class or creating an asia proxy in my setting so that I can force them to make a character outside of anime rip off 9000.
>>
>>49937744
>Kara-Tur
It even sounds like karate, so you remember it's asia.
>>
>>49937000

Not 5eg related but I play SRun with the same players and DM as I do in 5eg. In SRun my chara was a hardcore otaku hacker japanese girl and I spoke only Japanese and broken English irl.

>>49937592

Lego Legends is worth it for the waifus anon go try it out.
>>
Are there any notable fairies in folklore that were banished/killed/imprisoned for their deeds?
I've always like the trope when the Warlock is the reincarnation of a deity, but doesn't know.
>>
>>49937036
Anyone listen to this yet?
>>
>>49937036
Started it, seems alright so far. I'd recommend uploading it to YouTube as well. I'd subscribe to that channel.

>>49938242
Not worth the cancer you get from playing it though. It's awful
>>
+1 strength
Unarmed attacks to grappled opponents do 1d8 bashing damage

Okay flavor talent for a player who wants to do sick King combos on grappled enemies or am I missing some obvious broken interactions?

The only mechanical difference I see in comparison to beating them with a mace in their offhand is that they could possibly grapple two enemies at once while still doing 1d8, which doesn't seem all that busted.
>>
>>49937036
As others have said, great name.
I always like to have background noise so even if I barely listen to what happens I'll pick up some stuff you guys do. Will have a "listen"
>>
I want to make a new character since I'll be joining a new campaign soon, I always try to think about flavor before choosing classes and shit.

I'm thinking my character will be a deadly hot ass bounty hunter human woman whose main weapons will be dual-wielding knives/short swords and copious upon copious amounts of throwing knives.

What would be the best build for this to be a good damage chara? I was thinking something like Ranger/Fighter. Is there a way to ramp up knives from d4 to a higher die?

Or is my idea to silly for in-game dmg mechanics?
>>
>>49939193
You can do all that with rogue.
>>
>>49939193
Ranger works for the bounty hunter part (take humanoids), esp with the new UA Ranger. They're also good at dual wielding.
Talk to your DM about ramping up knives. Handaxes are d6s and it won't break the game to do it but ultimately it boils down to what your DM wants.
>>
>>49939219

I-I already play Rogue in the current campaign I am in, and I played Rogue in the 4e one before... the DM would hate me if I picked Rogue again...

>>49939294

Thanks anon.
>>
>>49939193
I'd make a battlemaster fighter, and ask for a knife-thrower feat to take.

Or just do Swashbuckler Rogue.
>>
File: countess sansuri.png (185KB, 356x469px) Image search: [Google]
countess sansuri.png
185KB, 356x469px
Running SKT and trying to come up with a list of names for each type of giant in case I need one on the fly.
Most of them are pretty easy to pick a culture or theme for - Frost get Norse names, Storm get Greek names, Stone get rock-themed names, and for Hill I've used dumb-sounding monosyllabic names (stuff usually used for Orcs and Goblins), and for Fire I've gone with Indian names.
As you can see, I'm stuck on Cloud Giants. Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>>49939541

use weed names for cloud giants
>>
So is grappling a useless action?
>>
>>49939541
ganja, kush, hash, keef, pot, Mary-Jane, goblin, dank, herb, nug, green,
>>
>>49939751
Grappling itself doesn't do much, but there's so much more you can do with it...

Just google 5e grapple manual ... The 2.0 manual on enworld.org is a good one.
>>
>>49939751
If you have some enemy that won't stay the fuck still then it can be useful.

But yeah it's mostly shit. It took my players like 10 sessions to realize it isn't the same thing as restrained.

>but he's grappled, don't I have advantage?
>if you were the one holding him, you had the grappler feat, and it was a melee attack, yeah you would
>>
>>49939756

reef, reefer, puff, pufferino, dank, bong, bongwater, bongzilla, dope, dopethrone, dopesmoke, blunt, spliff, chronic, chronicle, chrono
>>
>>49939803
But with that said, what >>49939789 said is true.
You have to be more creative.
>>
>>49939803
If pinning makes you both restrained, wouldn't the adv and disadv cancel each other out? Then what's the point.
>>
>>49939751
Once you get Extra Attack, which all the Strength-based martials do, you can push + shove prone in one Attack action. That locks down their movement and gives you and other melee attackers advantage against them.
>>
>>49939847
I guess it's so your party can pound them while you hold them down.

But also, what I was referring to is that if you are a grappler you can simply grapple and have adv yourself. But others wouldn't.

Anyway, rereading the feat I should correct myself, it does not have to be a melee attack. So if you have a ranged attack and you're grappling someone your disadv becomes regular (again, only if you have the feat).
>>
>>49939847
>>49939803
>>49939789
>>49939751
Grapple then shove someone prone. They can't get up from prone because getting up costs movement and being grappled sets your movement to 0. Then you can wail on them or gang up on them with advantage.

Also grapple just takes an attack so as a higher level fighter you can make multiple attempts and attack after. Action surge and you can shove someone prone with an action and then murder them with your surge attacks.

With all the freedom of movement creatures have in 5e, grappling is more important than ever. Mind you, if not playing with feats it gets weaker.
>>
>>49939193
UA Ranger with rogue dip to get that tasty sneak attack
>>
>>49939847
What is pinning?

Grappling doesn't make anyone restrained. It just sets the target's movement to 0 until they break free. Knocking a grappled person prone doesnt break the grapple or make you prone or cause the restrained condition either.
>>
>>49940036
The grappling feat
>You can use your action to try to pin a creature grappled by you. To do so, make another grapple check. lf you succeed, you and the creature are both restrained until the grapple ends.

Though I guess knocking them prone would achieve the same effect.
>>
>>49940036
Pinning is something you can do with grappler feat but nobody ever does because it's inferior to knocking a grappled target prone. That's likely why you don't know it.

You take grappler feat for advantage on all those attacks, and tavern brawler for bonus action grapples if you have free bonus actions.
>>
>>49940068
>>49940099
Right right. Yeah nobody uses that part of the feat it's useless except in very strange situations I suppose.
>>
Gonna bump this once and then leave /5eg/ alone until I have something of greater substance to post.
>>49937030
>>
>>49940099
It doesn't screw over ranged attackers and it makes the target weak to dexterity saves too. It's worse for you, but better for your party. So it definitely sucks.
>>
>>49937104
>kenku

Gangsta as fuck
>>
File: 1472766492865.jpg (105KB, 591x1351px) Image search: [Google]
1472766492865.jpg
105KB, 591x1351px
My next character survived a hanging when he was rescued by pirates. They rubbed red ink into the hemp marks immediately to give him a rope mark tattoo on the superstition that having a man who survived a hanging would bring them luck and protect them from the same fate.
>>
So I'm running a 3-man campaign at the moment and about to give each character their first big "Magic Item treasure" and hit level 4.

Fighter is getting a +1 Maul that casts Earth-Tremor once a day at level 3, DC13 3d6 damage and prone.

Warlock is getting a +1 Rod of the Keeper that also takes the form of his pact blade, forming a +1 Whatever weapon he wants at the time. Also using a houserule that simply lets Pact-of-Blade use CHA to hit and damage to make using it at least as inticing as Eldrich-Blast spam.

Wizard I plan to give a handful of scrolls to of various levels from the library ruins in the place of a permanent item, not sure what amount is fair enough to be a pleasant reward when the other guys got cool weapons, as well as be enough to tide him over until the next time they get a boon to their gear where he will get a nice staff or wand.

Mage Armour x2, Magic Missle x2, Grease, Sleep, Catapult, Burning Hands, Witch Bolt, Ice-Knife, and topping out with Lightning Bolt, Fireball, Major Illusion, and Haste scrolls. 10 level 1 scrolls, 4 level 3 scrolls but he will have to roll Arcana to use them until they level again. Mostly stuff to free up the odd spell slot here or there or afford him to cast a couple extra offensive spells. Also hopefully get my players to try and maybe use spells other than Thunderwave and Shield. Is it too much even though they are consumables, and they are level 3? They are primarily for the wizard to use but the Warlock can also cast a good deal of those spells so they might try and share some of them.
>>
>>49940550
This is pretty cool, I might use it if I'm ever not DMing
>>
File: rangerc.png (715KB, 561x792px) Image search: [Google]
rangerc.png
715KB, 561x792px
>>49940709
I'm glad someone else liked it, I think it's a badass idea.
>>
>>49940550
I like it, cute concept that is easy to play off of in game for both the player and NPC's.
>>
>>49940695
You know that the wizard will just transcribe to his spellbook all the spells he doesn't already have, right? That's what I'd do. So essentially, that would give him a few casts of those 1st level spells that he already has (Witch Bolt is awful, by the way. Pick something else for him. Maybe Chromatic Orb.)

Besides, if he did wanted to use one of those 3rd level scrolls before reach 5th level himself, he'd have to make a DC 13 Intelligence check, Arcana does not apply. Arcana does apply when transcribing the spell to his spellbook, though, so it's both more beneficial and safer.
>>
>>49940550
Stolen.
>>
I want to steal some adventures, short ones, 1-2 sessions, to give something for my players to do during travel times, rather than just endless random encounters in my sandbox campaign.

Edition doesn't matter, as I can convert, but I wondered what the anons here could suggest for options to steal. PF, 3.5, 2e, 1e, doesn't matter.

I have all the AL adventures and going to steal from them liberally already, but the campaign has a very old-school feel, so they'll be of limited use.
>>
>>49941049
If you want short adventures that can be done while traveling, it feels like you could steal some caves/ruins/dungeons from Elder Scrolls. I guess it depends on what kind of road they're traveling by. Mine in distress? Bandits just moved into this old way-station? And they're pretending to operate it so they can free a prisoner who'll be passing by that day?

Sorry I don't have actual adventures to share. Just made me think of that.
>>
>>49941469
Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for, but I suck as planning adventures, even though I'm, according to my group, good at actually running the game. Unless I'm very inspired, I can't write them worth shit, though (I think I just work too much...).
>>
How would you build an illusionist fighter/duelist?
Like, arcane trickster obviously springs to mind but I don't love all the sneaky stuff. I prefer a more "in your face" kind of illusionist.

So I've been thinking:
- archfey bladelock, flavoring the pact weapon itself as even an illusion.
- fighter/illusion wizard, but unsure of the split I'd like to take. The level 14 ability for illusion wizard seems pretty fucking nifty for out of combat solutions.

I know bladelocks get a lot of shit, but what feat would be optimal to make you last longer in melee? Would Tough be enough with con of 14?
>>
>>49940826
It's just flat Int check? Fair enough thanks for letting me know I thought it was Arcana.

Witch bolt is pretty garbage, it would be decent if the secondary damage scaled too because at least there would be merit to blasting a level 3 witch bolt to chain 3d12 damage a turn. I'm not too keen on Fireball due the massive AOE, Lightning bolt can hit 2-3 guys but Fireball tends to nail the entire encounter with ease.

If they scribe the spells in their book before casting, even better, they try the spell and maybe they will prepare something other than Thunderwave for once.

So I'll drop the Witch Bolt and Fireball, 9 level 1 scrolls and 3 level 3 scrolls is still a dozen extra spellcasts and seems more fun than just giving him a Wand of Magic Missile.
>>
>>49941508
Look up chapter 4 of Hoard of the Dragon Queen (in the mega), "On the Road". There are several neat encounter ideas that could happen during any travel.
>>
Any other Rogue players feel like their party just automatically treats them like a dick, regardless of what you do IC/OOC?

I've never openly committed a crime, shown myself to be a thief, or confessed to having stolen anything; I did get 90% of the loot from our most recent session, but only because I was the one who scaled a large archway to pry out two glowing gems. While doing this they were attacked by goblins, who they had absolutely no trouble taking out, but they complained that I did nothing to assist; by the time I'd stowed the gems in my pack and descended, only two goblins remained, and they were swiftly taken out by our barbarian and bear-form druid.

I'm currently in possession of a deed to a mining site; I've hired an NPC prospector to check it out, and if it's worthy of mining, I'll be helping finance the group from the proceeds. Yet, I'm the bad guy for going after the awesome (and expensive) looking gems mounted in the ancient archway, and putting the extra skills I have to good use?
>>
>>49941596
Moderately armoured while at 13 Dexterity can boost you from AC13 straight up to AC19 which is a pretty obscene leap in defenses.
>>
>>49941645
sounds like your playing with shitters
>>
>>49941682
4 of the 6 players are new to roleplaying, myself and the cleric of the group have basic past experience. I suspect they're basing their IC opinions on OOC knowledge, or vise versa.
>>
>>49941734
>I suspect they're basing their IC opinions on OOC knowledge

yea that's called being a shitter
>>
>>49941611
Yeah, I thought so too, until I had a player roll a wizard / knowledge cleric with expertise in Arcana. Casting from scrolls of a level higher than you can cast requires a plain spellcasting ability check because otherwise it'd be relatively too easy to read a 9th level spell scroll (DC 19).

And I mean, the wizard will be able to pick Fireball when he reaches level 5 or 6 anyway, the scrolls you're giving just add to his repertoire, which I'm sure he'll like. Said wizard in my party just found 2 spellbooks from wizards at level 7 and 9, and has yet to find the time and money to copy all those spells. Just giving him three 3rd level scrolls to copy may cost anywhere up to 450 gp, depending on his specialization.
>>
>>49941645
>their party just automatically treats them like a dick, regardless of what you do IC/OOC
>I've never openly shown myself to be a thief'
>I did get 90% of the loot from our most recent session
>because I was the one who scaled a large archway to pry out two glowing gems.
>While doing this they were attacked by goblins
> I did nothing to assist
Really? You've done nothing to give them this perception of your character?
>>
>>49941645
I once played a loyal and religious Lawful Good Rogue who was basically a glorified locksmith for an order of Clerics and Paladins, eventually leading to a sort of Divine-Agent/Inquisitor theme. The party still treated me like Dirtbag Thief. It comes with the job-title I guess, which is a well deserved repuation for the typical rogue because I swear nearly every rogue I see always tries to pull the same stunt every chance they get.

"Okay, I've disarmed the trap and unlocked the chest, I open it up and see what is inside."
"There is X, Y of Protection, a +1Z, A few Large Rubies sitting on a heap of Gold Coins."
"Okay, despite the fact that the entire party is standing around watching the big treasure reveal as I open the disarmed chest, literally watching over my shoulder, as eager as I am to see what is inside, I roll slight of hand to pocket the rubies and the Y of protection before anyone notices :^) okay?"
>>
>>49941645
yeah, that's a pretty normal response when someone doesn't share loot
>>
>>49941677
If, say, I went dex instead, I could get AC of 18 from free mage armor with maxed dex.

Thinking dex would be the go to considering my strat would likely be to burn a slot most combats on mirror image if I felt like I was gonna be targeted.

Anyone ever taken defensive duelist? Is it complete shit? Seems a bit shit. But then again it is sort of an at-will shield (albeit against only one attack), and eats up your reaction.

A two level dip in fighter wouldn't be the worst idea for a duelist style blade lock, the dueling fighting style would certainly increase overall damage and you'd essentially get a nice recharge on your abilities after short rests.
>>
>>49941645
Try and play a Cleric that isn't a goody two-shoes, that's when it gets real fun.
>>
>>49941800
I was hanging from a rope 50' above 21 angry Goblins. By the time I got down 19 of them were dead. What was I supposed to do?

>>49941810
>>49941812
So far I've tried to refrain from stuff like that; the first time I've openly taken group loot for myself was today, when I took a pouch of gold from a deceased goblin chief. If the group leader asks me to share it, I will, but as a worshipper of Mask, well... Besides that, they technically didn't even see me do it. I've aced all of my sneak and SoH rolls so far in the campaign, so really, as my DM put it, they should be seeing me as a Scout type character, on an in-character basis.

>It comes with the job-title I guess
I suppose it must.
>>
>>49941645
You steal loots from the party. You deserve all the hate. It won't be long before your party try to kill you.
>>
>>49941810
>"Okay, despite the fact that the entire party is standing around watching the big treasure reveal as I open the disarmed chest, literally watching over my shoulder, as eager as I am to see what is inside, I roll slight of hand to pocket the rubies and the Y of protection before anyone notices :^) okay?"

I've actually played with rogues that have done exactly this

pants on head retared
>>
>>49941952
Shoot a handcrossbow? Throw alchemist fire? Do something useful to the party?

You know adventurer party are suppose to be a team? No a bunch of murderhobo who happen to be stuck in the same place. If your action further individual goal instead of the group goal, you're pretty much just jerking off in public.
>>
>>49941892
Why are you Maxing Dex instead of Charisma for your spells, and why are you wasting an Invocation on Mage-armour. Plus don't forget a Shield is +2AC but even early game, you can end up with a +1 Shield very easily and late-game you're talking potentially +3 Shield and +2 Halfplate, all with the added benefit of not needing any more than 14 Dex meaning more stats for Con and Charima.
>>
I need a riddle for a dwarven secret door, in the same vein as the entrance to Moria or The Lonely Mountain!

The citadel in question is a ruin, and rumored to be haunted. The entrance is secret and mostly unknown, and the party finds a map that has a hint to the riddle.

The citadel is "locked" at its main entrance by the ruins of the keep, which was destroyed in a war 3,000 years before, so getting in through the main entrance is possible...just hard and time consuming and expensive. Complicating matters is that the other dwarves of the mountains will most likely detain the non-dwarves of the party, at best; at worst, they'll kill them on sight (lore reasons; those dwarf clans have been betrayed time and again by human kingdoms).
>>
>>49939192
>>49939020

Anyone get any further?
>>
>>49941596
Bladesinger
>>
>>49942261
'Enter Friend, and Speak'
>>
>>49941645
>>49941952
Are you really that autistic? I don't believe someone can be this social inept. Maybe you should find a different hobby? One that don't deal with people?
>>
>>49942288
Way too easy...these are players that have mainlined the entirety of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings with me!
>>
>>49942297
The joke is sodomy
>>
>>49942186
>Play Half-Orc Barbarian.
>Rogue opens chest.
"I reach over and take the rubies, putting them in the sweaty leather pouch I keep around my hip. "Zog like red rocks, these belong to Zog, rest we share. You have problem?" sound good? :^) I'm just roleplaying my character class guys."
>>
>>49942308
It's not a class thing, it's a shitter thing

shitter players are gonna be shitters
>>
>Roll20 campaign
>description is two sentences long
>have no idea what it's about or what setting it is or etc

Why do people do this?
>>
>>49942233
Well needing a hand free is important to cast spells so I don't fancy a shield. Being a blade-lock though I was intending to have him often in melee.
Conceptually as well I like the idea of reflavoring mage-armor to be an illusory kind of armor. Perhaps the reason it raises your AC is only because the enemy thinks there is armor there.
I think heavily from an RP perspective when designing a character, but of course that doesn't mean they have to be shit mechanically either.
I was even thinking of not relying on eldritch blast. Crazy, I know. But being an EB turret doesn't appeal to me. Still, it kind of fucking sucks that even with lifedrinker and the extra attack for pact of the blade EB still out classes it with only 1 invocation.
>>
>>49942440
>needing a hand free is important to cast spells so I don't fancy a shield

I've never had a GM enforce that. Also, can't bladelocks use their pact weapon as a focus? or is bladelock even worse than I thought

>being an EB turret doesn't appeal to me

why are you playing warlock then

sounds like valor bard/bladesinger/AT multiclassing with illusion wiz is what you really want
>>
>>49942261
"Stoke the fires and if you are a true son of Placename, the way will open once your thirst is quenched."

The entrance is a hidden tunnel off of an old, long abandoned dwarven tavern/lodge in the mountainside. First glance at the riddle may imply lighting a fire at the hearth and drinking deep of mead is the way forward, but it is not however merry it may be. In the lodge is a modest forge and workshop, the phrase "True Son of Placename" refers to the right of passage that each Dwarf should be able to forge at least a simple axe or shortsword to be considered a real Dwarf. A character has to stoke the fires of the forge and craft a weapon themselves using the tools of the workshop, once they quench the hot iron in the oil-trough/barrel, the passage way opens up leading the hidden tunnel into the mountain. Lets hope at least one of them has Tool Proficiency (Metalwork), but if not there are couple books around with easy to understand instructions to beginners forging aimed at kids or the simple minded, so that they can make a sloppy attempt without training, quality of the weapon will be abysmal but enough to merit the hidden entrance.

Hows that sound? Straight forward but a little misleading, but misleading in a way that even if they waste a session trying to party and drink in the empty lodge you could still have fun with it. Plenty of space to put interesting bits of note in the lodge, bits of lore, history or even hints if they get stuck on the riddle, plus room for an encounter or two against infested vermin or vagabond squatters.
>>
>>49942440
If you need to cast a spell, you don't need your sword. Drop Sword, Cast Spell, Pick up Sword. No actions required and the only risk is if the GM has some goblin ready action "If he lets go of his sword again, I grab it from him!" which if they do, you spend a bonus action to summon it back to your grasp.
>>
>>49942723
don't be this guy
>>
So /tg/, a player of mine wants to run a grizzled Archey Warlock. His backstory revolves around having met a pixie from Titania's court, that now serves as his patron. What he wants if for her to manifest herself as his chain pact familiar, all the way from the feywild, instead of a sprite.

Now, considering she's just a projection, I have an excuse to nerf that thing. Pixies normally have at-will druidcraft and 1/per day confusion, dancing lights, detect evil and good, detect thoughts, dispel magic, entangle, fly, phantasmal force, polymorph and sleep.

What do?
>>
>>49942481
>why are you playing warlock then
just trying to do things differently, my man.
Really the biggest parts of bladelock that appeal to me are basically the RP elements.

>>49942481
>sounds like valor bard/bladesinger/AT multiclassing with illusion wiz is what you really want
Illusion wiz is pretty awesome. But I feel like if I went wiz I'd never want/need to step into the front lines.
>>
>>49942440
Extra attack is a sub-par option, take booming or greenflame blade they scale better.

Illusionary armour is fine as a concept, but mechanically trash and a waste of an invocation. To be honest once you get to level 5 just ask the party wizard to cast it on you at the expense of one of their level 1 spell slots.

But basically, High-Dex Mage-armour forces you to waste ASI on a secondary stat while still falling behind everyone elses AC because by the time you hit that 18AC, you could be rocking +1 Half-plate and a +2 Shield and have better stats all round.

I'm not saying you want a high charisma for EB spam, but you ARE a caster, a full-caster at that, when you only have 2 spells to cast each rest you want them to count and have a high DC, that will do more for you than having a high Dex for your rapier-pokes.
>>
>>49942723
>Drop Sword, Cast Spell, Pick up Sword.
Nah.

>you spend a bonus action to summon it back to your grasp
Interestingly enough, that's EK. Takes a full action to create a pact weapon in your hand.
What the fuck Wizards?

What if the DM let you go EK and change the schools limitation to Illusion/Enchantment? That's not so game breaking, right?
>>
>>49942742
It's more of a proof of concept thing. Tell your GM "Look, I'm playing a Bladelock, are you going to say 'AHA your hands are full no spells for you!' and force me to juggle my sword or are we just going to play the game".

Funnily enough, Clerics and Paladins have no protection from this either, any Cleric or Paladin using a shield and weapon are fucked for casting most spells too. They can, GM permissive, use their shield as a "Holy symbol/focus" to avoid mundane material costs but they still need a free hand for Somatic spells.
>>
>>49942955
War Caster feat
>>
>>49942955
>They can, GM permissive, use their shield as a "Holy symbol/focus" to avoid mundane material costs but they still need a free hand for Somatic spells.
I think for clerics/paladins it's actually written somewhere that they can have their symbol on their shield/weapon.. And in order to perform somatic you just need your hand on your focus. Which in this case is their holy symbol.
>>
>>49939541
Latin names. Cloud Giants always seem like they're trying to emulate Storm Giants, as the Romans tried to emulate the Greeks.
>>
>>49942984
Or like the Grappler feat, realise that Warcaster is a trap-option and just drop-cast your spells like a regular autistic wizard. Advantage on Concentration is good though but 5e is awfully designed in places, this is one of them, just like the "Hah, you need a feat to draw a pair of daggers to throw.".

>>49942930
>Nah.
Mature response to someone offering advice to help the character build you were asking for advice on. I don't make the rules, I just pointed out the best way to avoid getting forced into a shitty trap feat.

Full action to summon pact weapon is a bitch. Still though as other Anon said, your Illusionist-Swordsman character seems preeeetty spot on for a Valor-Bard and not very Warlock-like.

>>49943003
Focus or not, Somantic spells need a free hand or warcaster. Foci and holy symbols only avoid mundane material costs. Shield-and-Mace clerics are technically dead this edition Read as Written.
>>
>>49942984
This
>>49943003
A Holy symbol used as a spell focus can be either held in hand, on a shield, or simply worn visibly it doesn't even require a hand on it. However, a focus only replaces Material components of a spell not Somatic. So spells that require a somatic component require a free hand unless you have the warcaster feat.
>>
>>49942984
>Optional rules

As much as I agree, I've known too many DMs that don't allow feats.
>>
>>49942883
>Extra attack is a sub-par option, take booming or greenflame blade they scale better.
That's true enough, can be flavored well as a kind of illusion in its own right.
>>
>>49943191
All focuses replace somatic components according to Sage Advice.

I disagree, mostly because by this ruling a V, S, M spell can be used with a weapon and a shield but not a cantrip like Sacred Flame.
>>
>>49942696
>>49942440
No response? I thought this was a nice idea.
>>
>>49943190
>Mature response to someone offering advice to help the character build you were asking for advice on. I don't make the rules, I just pointed out the best way to avoid getting forced into a shitty trap feat.
I don't think war caster is a trap feat, not that I plan to take it.
I just said nah because I don't feel like I need to justify refusing to be that guy.

I don't disagree about the valor-bard idea. Just trying to think of other ideas.
>>
File: 1477196399275.jpg (472KB, 1920x2061px) Image search: [Google]
1477196399275.jpg
472KB, 1920x2061px
>>49943190
>doesn't work how i want, awful design

If a spell requires you to use a hand to make some kind of gesture, so what? You now, as the cleric you mention, have to make a choice.

a) Use a shield and not use spells with (S)
b) Keep a free hand to use (S) spells and suffer the AC loss of not having a shield
c) spend an ASI on a feat so you can train to overcome a) and b), all the while getting some other awesome abilities

To me it makes perfect sense to have choices, or train to overcome natural limitations (like somatic spellcasting requirements).

Or you can keep on dropping your weapon every time you want to cast a spell and then pick it up again. I'm sure your DM will never find a way to punish you for that over the course of a campaign kek

>implying you actually play 5e and not just a basement troll who orders the books off amazon and theory crafts and shitposts
>>
>>49942810
If she is his Patron, why would she serve him as a familiar/minion?

Either way, I'd say remove Confusion, Fly, Phantasmal Force and have her use Polymorph into turning enemies into critters instead of turning players into Giant-Harambe.
>>
>>49943312
Where is this sage advice?
>>
>>49943191
>>49943190
PHB p.203

"Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouch or a speIlcasting focus (found in chapter 5) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell. If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell. A spellcaster must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components."

>A spellcaster must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.

Read the book niggas.

>>49943227
If a DM doesn't allow feats then it's an entirely different discussion. They're optional but so widely used, it's hardly a defense in the case where we're assuming feats are allowed.
>>
>>49942288
So I have to penetrate one of my friends?
>>
>>49943339
Personally I just trust my DM not to enforce the retarded action economy rules that only serve to force players to do stupid metagame actions to function properly.

Just like I trust him not to actually follow the carrying and dragging weight limits that mean grappling doesn't actually work RAW in 5e.

Guess what, some rules are just shit and deserve to be houseruled.
>>
File: herecomestheairplane.png (88KB, 653x773px) Image search: [Google]
herecomestheairplane.png
88KB, 653x773px
>>49943374
>>
>>49943482
This is an excellent example of why houserules exist.
>>
>>49943339
Mace-and-Shield clerics are literally iconic. Turning around and saying "Yeah no that doesn't work in 5th edition without this OPTIONAL RULE" is fucking retarded game design.

Especially when said OPTIONAL RULES are the pretty much the most limited form of character progression that you don't get until level 4 and have to sacrifice standard advancement to get.

>>49943401
>To use the symbol in this way, the caster must hold it in hand, wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield.
Read the book nigga.
>>
>>49943401
Aye the wording is wonky tho. It makes it sound like you can make the set of gestures with the hand that holds the symbol or mistletoe or whatever it is for your class, but its difficult to wrap your head around the logic of some somatic movements while wielding a shield. Even something simple like Guidance "you touch one willing.." .. awkward to reach out and touch someone with your somatic casting hand while holding a shield if that's your focus, unless you smack them on the ass with it.
>>
>>49943352
She's in love with him apparently, which while mentioned in the PHB, is a relationship dynamic with a patron that I havent seen used so far.

That suggestion should do nicely, thank you
>>
>>49942723
I thought dropping a weapon was ruled to be interacting with an object, and to pick it up being a second interact with object thus requiring the use of your action. I have no idea which Q&A column it was in tho, that shit is all over the place randomly, even in fucking tweets.
>>
File: That's a paddlin.jpg (7KB, 240x210px) Image search: [Google]
That's a paddlin.jpg
7KB, 240x210px
>>49937000

The current character I'm playing is deliberately made to be as close to a Shounen protagonist as possible. He's a Sun Soul Monk, and aside from being from an Eskimo/Waterbender-esque tribe, he plays every cliche perfectly straight. Bellowing self-aggrandizing speeches before every battle, having long soliloquies about the nature of friendship and fighting spirit, a near suicidal overconfidence, he's an absolute blast to play.
>>
>>49943537
Exactly. Divorce somatic components and foci. It's a minor nerf to casters and smooths out a very awkward rule.

Without War Caster you cannot cast with full hands.
>>
>>49943647
Dropping the weapon is free, picking up is your object interaction.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (261KB, 1275x1672px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
261KB, 1275x1672px
This is so awesome
>>
>>49943732
Where does it list 'free' actions like dropping a weapon?
>>
>>49943805
Free actions don't exist in the player's handbook, but at the same time it's a good houserule. It's only common sense that it takes no effort to drop something. It certainly shouldn't take a bonus action or interaction
>>
>>49943747

Is that another Volo preview? That is pretty cool.
>>
Question: What would you look for in a Drunken Master monk archetype? Here's what I have so far, wondering if I should change my approach.

3. Drunken Kung-Fu: You can draw an energy similar to Ki from alcohol. As an action, you can imbibe an alcoholic drink (a tankard of ale, a glass of wine, a shot of spirits, or similar) and gain one temporary Ki point. You can have a number of temporary Ki points equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1), which last for one minute or until spent. You always spend temporary Ki first.

While you have temporary Ki, you are considered proficient in improvised weapons, which are monk weapons for you. Additionally, you can spend 1 ki point to stand from prone without spending movement.

6. Stumbling Dodge: At 6th level, you can mimic the stumbling gait of a drunkard to make yourself harder to hit. When you are hit with a melee attack, you can spend 1 Ki point to reduce the damage by an amount equal to 1d10 + your Dexterity modifier + your monk level. Alternatively, you can choose to drop prone instead of spending a Ki point.

11: Intoxicating Touch: At 11th level, you can induce a state of intoxication in creatures you touch. While you have temporary Ki, whenever you hit a creature with an unarmed strike, they must make a Constitution saving throw against your Ki DC or be poisoned until the start of your next turn.

17. Sipping Demon: At 17th level, you can drink with amazing speed. You can imbibe an alcoholic drink to gain temporary Ki as a bonus action, even if you've already drank on your turn.
>>
>>49943892
Fuck. Stumbling Dodge is a reaction, kind of like a melee version of deflect arrows.
>>
File: Giant page 150.jpg (319KB, 1275x1672px) Image search: [Google]
Giant page 150.jpg
319KB, 1275x1672px
>>49943869
Yeah man, it's pretty cool. I like it.
>>
>>49943844
Understood, I'm not a rules lawyer. I was just curious if there was a reference table somewhere I hadn't seen.
>>
>>49943747
>>49943912
>read three lines
>instant headache
>>
>>49943747
>unbridled fury

oh boy my players are gonna hate this guy
>>
>>49943939
Well he'll only be able to do that once per round so it shouldn't be too much different than legendary actions.
>>
>>49944044
yea but he's CR 5 and not legendary
>>
>>49937368
>when you're playing a half orc barb and you crit a goblin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjux6EhiAvs
>>
>>49943939
>>49944044
Unbridled fury is fucking radical and increases its effective damage per round by 50%. Your players might as well fall prone and wait to die. Where were you when the people complaining about power creep got fucking obliterated?
>>
>>49944056
>not giving your CR5 creatures legendary actions
>>
File: 1459131797553.png (963KB, 761x605px) Image search: [Google]
1459131797553.png
963KB, 761x605px
>>49944211
>implying D&D is a competitive game
>>
>>49943681
Are your fellow players having fun too? I've got a monk player in my group doing Jojo-tier shit and I'm the only one who's having fun with it apart from him.
>>
>>49944211
It's already factored into it's CR
>>
>>49944473
i know but hyperbole is fun
>>
>>49937300
Doesn't the Sweeping Attack maneuver basically fulfill that function?
>>
what playable races are confirmed for volo's?
>>
File: 29dd7a0215faa10e6c8e1dd1a5420974.jpg (251KB, 736x1037px) Image search: [Google]
29dd7a0215faa10e6c8e1dd1a5420974.jpg
251KB, 736x1037px
Are there rules anywhere for falconry? I know the ranger has some messenger bird shit. But is there something accessible to everyone?

Sorry I don't keep up with UA and other stuff.
>>
>>49944559
>>49937104

>>49944648
There aren't any rules for it, but hey, the UA ranger has an animal companion that isn't shit. It's worth looking at. :)
>>
What's a good way to get the party together initially?

Ideally I want the party to be meeting each other for the first time so everyone gets a chance to introduce their characters, but I also want a decent reason for everyone to team up
>>
>>49944648
Familiar
>>
>>49944682
Session 0. Let everyone think what each PC has in common and what tie their character together as a group.

No edgey secret lonewolf bullshit.
>>
>>49944682
Short answer:
Just handwave that they already know each other and have them start at the entrance to the dungeon.
Long answer:
How well do your players know each other in real life outside the game? If everyone is good friends, then you won't have to hold their hand too much. Just make sure everyone knows that they are working as a team and that they should get to know each other seamlessly.
If the players aren't really friends or don't know each other, having them start as strangers is just asking for trouble, since That Guy will right off the bat be antagonistic and someone will claim their character has no reason to be in the group. Just tell them OOC that they have to metagame that they are cooperating and you expect them to work together and not PVP no matter the flimsy excuse for being in a party.
>>
>>49944682
It's so very easy but so many GMs are fucking dumb.

0 Sess. Make your characters together.

This is especially crucial on Roll20 with randoms, otherwise you WILL get edgy mc "I work better alone" "why would my character care about this" in every group no matter what.
>>
The variant encumbrance is so so bad

Do you think just making it 10 and 15 times STR score instead of 5 and 10?
>>
>>49944709
Is that basically it? Take the Ritual Caster feat for Find Familiar?
>>
>>49944832
Or magic initiate
>>
>>49944832
Yup. There are no other rule for pet. Familiar is super useful anyway.
>>
>>49944785
I still don't understand why some people want to be edgey lonewolf. Even batman knew how to work in group.
>>
>>49944954
Because it's appealing. I play lonewolf characters all the time, the fact that you solve everything yourself without needed to rely on others makes your character seem cool and powerful.
>>
>>49944954
they're socially retarded and don't know how to work in a group but want to come off as badass/are attempting to fufill their fantasy of being a badass and thus default to edgy lonewolf due to not knowing how to actually be a badass character

>>49945045
this post is satire right?
>>
>>49945045
so why are you in a group and
>>
>>49942723
Reminds me of the Eldritch Knight in my party who agreed to do 2 sleight of hand rolls at dc15/20 when literally throwing his sword up in the air, casting the spell, and grabbing the weapon again on the way down.
>>
>>49944835
>>49944856
Which would you suggest for a Paladin?

If I go Magic Initiate I can get two wizard cantrips along with Find Familiar but not sure which to take.

Ritual Caster would allow me to cast some Paladin spells as rituals which can save on slots, but it requires I have a Wis or Int of 13+ which is another diversion in stat allocation.
>>
>>49943482
What if I have a two-handed weapon? Am I allowed to just hold it in one while I cast?
>>
>>49945231
Yes. Two-handed weapons only require two hands to *use*, ie attack with. You can hold them in one hand just fine so long as you aren't swinging it.
>>
>>49945220
Magic Initiate. Get prestidigitation to make yourself clean and smell nice all the time. And maybe light if you don't have darkvision or shape water if you want to be creative.
>>
File: 14771963992795.jpg (278KB, 1116x1152px) Image search: [Google]
14771963992795.jpg
278KB, 1116x1152px
>>49945220
So you wanna be a paladin falconer? pretty cool

I would personally do Magic Initiate Wizard, taking two cantrips that aren't stat dependent - like Light and i dunno, something else useful.

Keep in mind if you go the magic initiate route you can't cast find familiar as a ritual, but you can cast it with paladin spell slots should you use your magic initiate find familiar spell slot and then get your familiar killed.

a Paladin is already MAD as fuck, you gotta have STR/DEX + CON + CHA, you can't afford 13 wis/int unless you guys like rolled for stats and you got lucky as fuck.

So personally if I wanted to accomplish what you're doing, Human Variant Paladin with MI, take Light and another utility cantrip like prestidigation or something and find familiar.
>>
>>49945297
IIRC, You can only cast Magic Initiaite spell with class spell slot only if your class has that spell on its spell list.

Pretty sure there is a sageadvice on that.
>>
>>49945297
>>49945295
If you choose wizard rituals tho, you can keep adding more rituals to your book. Thats potentially a lot of cool spells that can be cast out of combat. But I guess it depends if OP has a wizard in his party or someone else with versatility.
>>
So what's the best way to play an eldritch knight? I'm trying to consider between it and battlemaster, both as crossbow users.
>>
>>49945367
Crossbow expert + sharpshooter
Haste

Shoot things repeatly in their face until they die.
>>
>>49945295
>>49945297
Cool thanks for the advice. And yeah I've always been a paladin player since 3e and falconry is one of those things on my RL bucket list. Always been fascinating to me.
>>
>>49945350
Errata 1.0

>The feat’s limit on casting the 1st-level spell applies only to the casting given by the feat.

>>49945367
battlemaster crossbower will be much better. You can use some maneuvers like trip attack with a ranged weapon; flavor it as a Bola bolt.

You also have the obvious advantage of being able to use Precision attack on a Sharpshooter attack which is no joke and pretty fucking ridic

EKnight is a tank with some versatility.

>>49945412
>EKnight with haste

Sure, at level like 13
>>
>>49941907
What about neutral,chaotic or evil gods?
>>
>>49945425
?

That errata still didn't allow you to cast the spell using paladin spell slot.

And sageadvice confirmed that.

> If you have spell slots, can you use them to cast the 1st-level spell you learn with the Magic Initiate feat?

> Yes, but only if the class you pick for the feat is one of your classes. For example, if you pick sorcerer and you are a sorcerer, the Spellcasting feature for that class tells you that you can use your spell slots to cast the sorcerer spells you know, so you can use your spell slots to cast the 1st-level sorcerer spell you learn from Magic Initiate. Similarly, if you are a wizard and pick that class for the feat, you learn a 1st-level wizard spell, which you could add to your spellbook and subsequently prepare.
>>
>>49945476
eh who listens to sageadvice. bunch of nerds
>>
>>49937592
Loads of Spider based puns during combat
>When the players enter the room
"I see that you've fallen, into my web."
>He casts web and it hits a player
"Looks like you're in a sticky situation."
>>
HAS ANYONE USED ENCUMBRANCE RULES
>>
>>49945491
> can't support my arguememt RAW or RAI
> better ad hominem them!
>>
>>49945510
I have, but not the 5e one. It sucks ass.
>>
>>49943190
Has anyone tried taking War Caster and then using it's opportunity attack feature to reactively cast heals/buffs on your party members? I know it's technically not legal but I was wondering if people have seen anyone munchkin enough to make the attempt in front of a DM.
>>
>>49945515
It was a joke friend

>>49945510
I think any reasonable GM would just say that you can carry whatever so long as it isn't retarded. Can't carry five sets of chainmail, two pikes, three shields and two warhammers on you
>>
>>49945552
You are not my friend, dude.
b..but if y..you ask nicely... I..I might consider letting you be one.
>>
>>49945534
But the feat literally says the spell you cast can -only- target the creature that provokes an opportunity attack.

I don't know how you'd argue that to any DM.
>>
>>49945510
I keep track of weight, but not for the encumbrance rules.
More for sanity controlling what players can and can't carry. Having no limit at all is just asking for trouble.
>>
>>49945614
"But DM! Why can't I carry this giant constrictor snake and dire wolf corpse back to town with be"

This actually happen.
>>
>>49941049
One night while they are in an inn, and old wizard approaches the party and asks them if they can accompany him into a cave where his party fell so he can see it one last time. He makes mention that only one them got out of the cave that night and refuses to fight in combat, citing his age and feebleness.
When they make camp, if the players talk to him, he'll make some offhand comment about wondering how the rogue is doing now to himself, only to play it off as his memory going if pressed on it, or talk about the familiar that never left his side (he doesn't have one when he meets the party). In the chamber at the end there are three humanoid skeleton and an owl skeleton, the wizards becomes translucent and apologizes for putting them through all this trouble, but tells them that he just wanted to see his old friends one last time and they can take their payment from the gear of his old party.
>>
>>49945510
Sometimes for grappling and dragging something.
>>
>>49937036
I actually enjoyed it anon, reminds me a lot of my group I DM for. The sailor's dozen bit was exactly the kinda shit we'd say. Did you get the tentacle encounter from one of these threads? I recall seeing something similar here and was gonna use it sometime myself.
>>
>>49945510
Just use carrying capacity and everything is fine.
>>
>>49945589
You stand next to a party member, and when the party member moves away you say "oh, your movement provokes an opportunity attack from me" and then you cast cure wounds on him.

Clearly it's illegal (you shouldn't be able to decide a creature is hostile at your convenience) but when I read the feat I figured someone might try it to cheese their action economy. I've seen crazier arguments fly through in the past.
>>
File: 1475720707637.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1475720707637.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>49945672
I cried a little, anon.
>>
>>49937300
I'd just make it 8 + attack bonus with the weapon.

This rolls in your proficiency, but only if you're proficient with the weapon. I don't think letting them use dexterity on the attack roll is a big deal, but since you eliminated finesse it's not an issue.

You said you roll for damage as normal, do you still add your strength bonus to the damage to each target?
>>
>>49945672
Christ. Stolen
>>
Hey so is sun soul monk garbage?

because it seems like fucking garbage. A 1d4+dex 30ft ranged attack that you can't use with extra attack since it's a spell attack
>>
>>49945913

all monks are shit
>>
>>49945913
http://www.sageadvice.eu/tag/way-of-the-sun-soul/
It work with extra attack.
>>
>>49945913
You get range with a good damage type in exchange for your normal bonus action attack, and you can get a flurry-style double attack for 1 ki anyway. And it does work with extra attack, that's why it's something you can do with the Attack action.
>>
So I want to make some evil weapons in order to tempt my players to the embrace of the dark powers.
Thinking of a Sigil of Tiamat for the Dragonblood (Red) Sorcerer, as soon as he picks it up he's transformed in a Red Half Dragon, victims of his fire base spells and attacks have disadvantage on their saving throws, and when he kills someone he can take their soul to turn into a young red dragon like he was using the Druid's Wild Shape feature for one hour and he can extend time by an additional hour for each person he kills while in the red dragon form. If he spends 24 hours as a red dragon, the transformation sticks and he automatically becomes chaotic evil and gains the mind of a red dragon
The first fighter gets a greatsword known as Luka's Bane. Luka's Bane can hold one soul at a time and it's wielder can expend that soul on a successful hit against a living creature to deal an additional 1d6 per 2 hit dice of the target in additional damage, healing the wielder for half that damage. When the wielder reduces a living creature to 0 hitpoints, Luka's Bane takes the soul. When the person attuned to the sword is reduced to 0 hitpoints, Luka's Bane takes their soul and becomes [character name]'s bane. Their soul can only be restored by wish or miracle.
The Bard likes using psychic damage and phantasms but I don't know yet.
The other fighter gets the Blazing Heart of Siris, turning him into a fire based werewolf. He can imbue any weapons he uses with magic to cause them to deal an additional d6 fire damage . If he kills someone, he can absorb their soul use it to let forth a roar that gives everyone within 500 ft disadvantage on all attacks unless they swear loyalty to him which puts them into a geas under his control and replaces their current heart with one of fire.When he is reduced to 0 he becomes an ash werewolf and anyone loyal to him does the same when they die.
>>
>>49946043
Exceptionally gay
>>
Reading SCAG. I want to read it but the fucking Gods section is boring as shit. I'm not sure I'll remember this shit. Should I start skimming and come back later to read it when I need it? I want to get more familiar with Faerun but did they intentionally make this shit boring or what?
>>
due to a tpk last night at fault of the DM, our party is about to roll some new characters I'm thinking a dwarven bard, obviously not the best choice of race but a fun one to play. What do you guys think?

Also gotta come up with a back story what are some great backstorys you've either wanted to use or have used in the past that have been fun to play with?
>>
>>49946641
If the game I want to play in ever gets off the ground
I have an half elf bard who used to be a burglar. He had a good thing going with a companion until he slipped up during a robbery and stabbed a little kid he hadn't noticed wasn't asleep. Panicking, he set his companion up so that she would take the fall for him and skipped town. Now he clings to the idea that no one is beyond redemption, he feels terrible about killing the kid but not betraying his companion because "that's what happens when you're a thief" and keeps an old bottle of her perfume on his person.
>>
>>49937300
How about this instead?

>Cleave: When you make an attack with a weapon that applies your STR modifier to its damage roll, you can choose to cleave. If you do so, you can make an extra attack against another creature that is within your reach and within 5 feet of your original target. This attack does not apply your STR bonus to its damage roll.

Or just use the Hunter Ranger's Horde Breaker feature.
>>
>>49946641
Dwarf Lore Bard is pretty good.
>>
>>49946641
Your dwarf was kicked out for unlicensed acts of poetry and song.
>>
October Sage Advice v1.14 is out.

dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-answers-and-errata-october-2016
>>
>>49943912
So, does she genuinely have an anchor inserted into the flesh of her upper forearm, or is it just the artstyle making her look like a creepy-extreme body piercing/modification fetishist?
>>
Rephrasing my question:
If I want to play a Dragonborn barbarian, should I take a level or more as a Draconic sorcerer? That archetype is pretty much tailormade for Dragonborn in general, but I'd be splitting my ability scores a lot if I wanted to excel in all the required fields, plus there might be some redundancies. But I'm not particularly good at analysis and class breakdowns, so I thought I'd ask.
>>
>>49945672
That is awesome and you should feel proud. I would love to use this in a game of mine.
>>
>>49946937
why?
>>
>>49946960
Rephrased and expanded on the question here >>49946953
Overall just not sure whether good idea or bad idea.
>>
>>49946953
No. You don't get more armor. You can't cast spell while rage.

In other word.. no synergy at all.
>>
>>49946953
You'd need another stat (Cha) to be good.
Your unarmored defense and scales wouldn't stack.
You couldn't cast spells while raging.
You certainly could, but there isn't a ton of synergy.
Personally I was ranting earlier about Undying warlock being relatively weak for a similar reason. I want to play a Rogue/Warlock with just a couple levels in Warlock for a few spells, but where fiend offers 5 THP on kill, or fey a short rest AoE frighten/charm, or GOO tasty telepathy, Undying only offers a cantrip and sometimes deflecting undead attacks.
>>
>>49946968
but why
>>
>>49945672
Silly anon. Familiar are celestial/fiend/fey spirit, they just dissapear when they die.
>>
I'm playing a pirate that sold his soul to the devil to get revenge on a group of mutineers. The campaign is land locked. Have you all played a character that was a little out of place, but you couldn't resist playing anyways?
>>
>>49946937
>>49946953
>>49946968

I was gonna say a bunch of stuff, but uh. Yeah, it doesn't work at all. Multiple ways of calculating AC don't stack, and rage doesn't let you cast spells.

>>49947002
maybe he had an actual pet owl, anon. Just because it's an owl doesn't mean it has to be a familiar.
>>
>>49947015
He talked about familiar who doesn't leave his side, not pet owl.
>>
>>49946991
read, nigger
>>49946981
>>49946984
>>49947015
Yeah, I figured, unless there was something I was just overlooking. Thanks for answering.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 751x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 751x800px
Do you guys pick your race based on your preference or for stats and racials? I know those can line up a lot but I play whatever race fits the character concept where as a lot of people I know only play half elves.
>>
>>49947021
WHY DO YOU WANT A SORC/BARB?

ROLEPLAY? STORY? MECHANICA?

FUCK YOU RETARD
>>
>>49947024
I'm a concept guy most of the time. I mostly play humans since they fit in most everywhere. I really like dwarves, but I can never think of a dwarf character with a story that feels satisfying.
>>
>>49947024
Sometimes I pick for racial lore and background.
Other times, for stats.
Still others, for aesthetic or attractiveness.
My favorite characters are those where I choose it for all.
>>
File: 1475629912106.jpg (119KB, 695x642px) Image search: [Google]
1475629912106.jpg
119KB, 695x642px
>>49947041
Jesus christ, go sperg elsewhere.

>>49947024

basically this >>49947052

Though I rarely play drow and never play dragonborn. Can't stand 'em.
>>
>>49946879

Also an updated PHB Errata v1.2 that is current with the 6th print run of the books,.
>>
Hey, out of curiosity, would any of you guys be interested in a big ol' PDF that I'm writing up about some additions to the crafting rules, downtime activities and optional ways to include magical item crafting that doesn't take years and hundreds of wizards and blacksmiths working together to make a +2 weapon?

I'm not really close to finished with it, but I was curious if there's any interest in this sort of thing.
>>
>>49947024
I almost always go human. I just feel people pick the other races for the bonuses and don't RP any of the racial stuff. nitpicky I know and I'm not saying nobody RPs demihumans well. I just don't think you need to be different to be interesting.
>>
I need to build a character for a pirate campaign and someone already expressed interest in being the party face, and I doubt being an all-bard crew would end well.
So, uh, what exactly does the Rogue do that the Bard doesn't do better? Damage?
I'm thinking of going Swashbuckler into maybe 3 levels of Battlemaster or Lore Bard.
The idea would be being the pragmatic and cunning sneak-thief or grease monkey that keeps the ship from not sinking. I'm just a little worried I'll end up playing the straight man to the Pirates of Penzance.
>>
>>49947228
You should play a Storm Sorcerer or Bladesinger. Pirates in D&D settings are notorious for hiring spellcasters that can influence the weather.
>>
>>49947228
5e is actually pretty great for an all bard crew. Just chose different colleges. The nice thing about 5e is that more than one person can play the same class and play them in completely different ways.
>>
So we have tanurraks, does this mean we'll get fey'ri?
>>
>>49947264
I had a Tempest Cleric player in my last game whose character did that for the ship. Fought with a Trident, was pretty cool.
>>
Wanderer and deep delver feature annoy me because it effectively removes foraging and survival from the game
>>
>>49947421
Not everyone gets the feat. It doesn't remove anything. You're overreacting.
>>
>>49947462
They are background features
>>
>>49947472
I am well aware. My point still stands. Not everyone has them. It doesn't remove anything. You're overreacting.
>>
>>49947484
Being annoyed is overreacting? All I am saying is that guaranteeing food found is too much. It should still require the foraging check
>>
>>49945476
what
that's fucking stupid
If I'm a wizard 9 sorcerer 1, do I need to pay special attention to how many spell slots I would have had if I was just a sorcerer 1 and have to pretend like I don't have any more sorcerer spell slots then that? Oh, I can only cast my sorcerer spells using TWO of my first levels slots and then I can't use any other first level slots or my high level slots to cast the spells I learned from my sorcerer level because I'm only a first level sorcerer and not a legendary fucking spellcaster.
I understand not letting spell progression continue unhindered so that you can't gain access to every spell with one level dips, but that there is just bullshit put there to be in your way because fuck you.
>>
>>49947517
if you can force the magic in your blood to come together into a haste spell, does that mean you know the combination of motions, materials, and sheer arcane knowledge required to cast it like a wizard would?
>>
So I'm looking through the Curse of Strahd stuff, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to why there are official digital floor maps created for so many areas in Barovia, but no Castle Ravenloft. It's just a side view and diagram.
Is there a specific reason they didn't include it?
Do they ell it somewhere else?
Why would Wizards think people wouldn't want resources for what's likely the final area of the game?
>>
>>49947715
I would assume to leave the floor lay out up to the DM/GMs discretion. If they planned out the castle entirely it would limit the party size in some circumstances or on the opposite end have a minimum due to space.

>This is coming from someone who hasn't played CoS or read anything for it to play it blind.
>>
>he wants to play a Drow in a normal adventurer party with LG/NG/CG/LN/N & possibly LEcharacters
>he thinks playing Drow is a "little bit" abnormal
>he normally plays Tiefling/Dragonborn and has tried to play Aarakroca but his old DM said no
>>
>>49947787
drow/tiefling/dragonborn/aarakocra are very abnormal, that's the point.

They're also really hard to make good characters out of, and really easy to make shitty characters out of.
>>
>>49947787
>playing a drow
there is your problem.
>>
>>49947787
>CN Drow Assassin who carves the names of his victims into his skin
>the fucking campaign was all about a war with Drow

Not joking this happened.

Also what's with it with Dragonborn and really shitty players? Every dragonborn player I've played with were either pure shit players or brand new to the game
>>
>>49947844
I made a character obsessed with the underdark without knowing my DM picked Out of The Abyss as our campaign. I was already fluent in abyssal, undercommon and infernal before we started. Shit happens man.
>>
>>49947897
this nigger knew what the campaign was about prior.

The Drow wasn't like an exile drow or anything; he was a fucking spy for the Drow army. And we all had to pretend like we didn't know. He didn't explicitly tell anyone he was a Drow spy but it was so painfully cringely obvious whenever this aspie would try to do some shit

That might be cool for a one shot; that's not something you do for a real campaign wherein all the other players want to have a real go. The GM was a doormat and didn't have the balls to tell him to fuck off
>>
>>49947787
I hate Drow so much, so many people want to play them then sperg out when you refuse. "Trust me I'm a good Drow!!!!"
>>
>>49947924
Then I can see your frustration. That's some metagaming bullshit that would break my immersion from a pc side.
>>
>>49947844
FUS RO DAH!!!!!
Epiiiiic! Also I'm 7' tall
>>
>>49947943
>sunlight sensitivity
You really can't think of another character that would be fun to play?
>>
>>49947978
>can't I just wear sunglasses
>>
>>49947987
>edgelord to the max
>>
>>49947517
Multiclass has different rule than magic initiate. Multiclass even has a specific rule on how 2 spell casting class feature interact.
>>
>>49947421
What about Druid?
>>
>>49947784
The floor layout and rooms seem to be static in the adventure, it's just that the maps they include are like 3/4 views and not top-down battle maps. which wouldn't be weird, except that there are other parts of the map that they do include digital battle maps for.
>>
>>49948044
Goodberry? Yes also annoying
>>
>>49948051
sounds like 3.5 books. a lot of detail but little mapped out material.
>>
>>49948051
Is it the same sort of layout as the old RM4 Castle Ravenloft?
>>
>>49948064
You're playing the wrong game if you care that much about things like foraging.
>>
>>49948077
It's a big part of OotA
>>
>>49948087
>you escape drow captivity
>roll for food or die
muh fun
>>
File: AD&D WSG.png (4MB, 1214x1596px) Image search: [Google]
AD&D WSG.png
4MB, 1214x1596px
>>49948087
Goodberry has always had the role of 'fuck this foraging shit', just like Create Food and Water.

It really sounds like this is the supplement you want.
>>
>>49948093
>>49948087
Good thing fighter can last 5-6 day per 1 ration without getting any ill effect.
>>
File: Curse of Strahd Blue Water inn.jpg (120KB, 327x450px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of Strahd Blue Water inn.jpg
120KB, 327x450px
>>49948072
No no, I think you still don't understand. Here's a map of an inn in the adventure - the Bluewater Inn. This comes with the adventure, a top-down battle map of an inn, but not a top-down digital map of the dungeon at the end of the adventure.
>>
>>49948093
Well no, you have days you can go without food so it adds urgency without immediate lethality. Will you hunt dangerous monsters, resort to cannibalism, steal from friendlies?

Adds to adventure
>>
>>49948107
For OotA, it'd be more DSG than WSG.
>>
>>49948075
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/17503/RM4-House-of-Strahd-2e?it=1&filters=0_45507_0_0_0_0_0

>NOTE: This product is currently missing several maps. We will update the files as soon as we obtain those maps from the publisher. —DTRPG staff

>For the record, the maps are still not included in this version yet.
>I just bought the module before reading this discussion and feel totally ripped off. The maps are not included, leaving this module completely useless, and me out $5...

It looks like they weren't in the old version either.
>>
>>49947784
>>49948113
same guy. i guess i don't. I'm usually a pc and only been a dm a few time for a few single adventure campaigns... sorry i couldn't be a better shoulder nor any advice
>>
>>49947987
Is your vision augmented?
>>
>>49948146
I'm just tearing my hair out over this, and I as wondering if there was something I'm not getting.
>>
>>49948143
They absolutely were, WotC just have a bad habit of not scanning the poster map sometimes. Let me see if I can staple the poster map together in Paint.

MageGuru's copy of the PDF has the maps of the Manor House, Temple of Barovia, and the poster map.
>>
>>49948162
Maybe you can put it in the mega too. What's there right now came from someone's Deviantart page.
>>
>>49948186
Barovia in RM4 is significantly smaller than Barovia in CoS, because it's not the whole domain, just Barovia town and close environs. I don't know if that's actually important, though.
Does the MEGA need the Burgomaster's mansion and the Temple of Barovia, or did the digital map pack come with those, or did they get cut?
>>
I have a player who wants to play a half beast half human character

Is there a race like that in dnd lore? I can stat it up
>>
File: mappp.jpg (363KB, 1084x815px) Image search: [Google]
mappp.jpg
363KB, 1084x815px
How much should I label the map?

Should I label every town/village, regardless of size?
Or only larger settlements?
>>
>>49948205
It has 3 versions of the Burgomaster's mansion, but I don't see anything called "Temple of Barovia" in the map pdf or the adventure. Do you mean the Abbey, the Amber Temple, or the church?
>>
>>49947715
I have a pack of pre-made maps someone made of Ravenloft, based on the isometric mapes Wizards made. It has all the rooms and they're (mostly) furnishes, you may have to add a little extra detail yourself for some rooms, but most are fine. They worked well for my CoS campaign I ran on roll20.

I can upload it somewhere if you want.
>>
>>49948284
I think those are already in the MEGA, if they're the one from some guy's DeviantArt page. They're much lower quality than the official maps, and I was wondering if Wizards just didn't make any, or if they somehow went missing from the pdfs in the MEGA.
>>
File: Ravenloft 04 Court of Count.jpg (2MB, 5398x3747px) Image search: [Google]
Ravenloft 04 Court of Count.jpg
2MB, 5398x3747px
>>49948299
These are the ones I have, I didn't get them from the MEGA or Deviantart so I'm not sure if they're the ones there https://ufile.io/2c05

They're pretty decent, I'll attach one as a preview
>>
>>49948162
>Let me see if I can staple the poster map together in Paint.
Are you still going to?
>>
File: RM4 Poster Map (downscaled).png (4MB, 1150x1718px) Image search: [Google]
RM4 Poster Map (downscaled).png
4MB, 1150x1718px
>>49948272
What RM4 calls the Temple of Barovia is the church at the village of Barovia itself.

Full-size (6K by 9K) version: Imgur having trouble with it, where should I upload it?
>>
>>49947943
Do you always flat out refuse?

I just warn them that it has an effect on how NPC react to them. I also encourage the other players to roleplay accordingly. Same goes for tieflings, dragonborn and half-orcs. If they go along with that, and work actively to overcome prejudice or hide their race, it can make for an interesting character.

Evil characters though, that have the goal to betray the party, that I refuse. I did that once, never again.
>>
>>49948367
Well, that looks lie what's in the pdf already, so maybe it's not important. It's all like that: viewed from the side in a way that makes the layout clear, but leaves you to draw it out if you want to use figures. So there really isn't any battle map except for the DeviantArt one?
>>
>>49948389
Battlemaps are really more of a WotC thing than a TSR thing, so if there aren't any official ones for Expedition to Castle Ravenloft or CoS, then there won't be any at all.

Even if it was top-down, it wouldn't be figure-scale.
>>
>>49948409
Scale doen't really matter to me, I just need an image I can do whatever with. I guess I'll just have to use the dA ones, or make some myself.
>>
>>49948206
There are tons of different beastfolk, ranging from lizardfolk to kenku. You might want to be more specific about what beast.

Regardless, the easiest way to do this would probably be to look at the shifter race in the Eberron UA. Or wait 2 weeks for VGM, which might include some kind of beastfolk as player races.
>>
>>49948450
Google CoS castle ravenloft maps

Some guy made some. This is why I dont gm on roll20; feel like there is a need to have a map for everything which for non-premade campaigns is a bit much.

Can just draw on some grid paper irl
>>
>>49948261
Thats really good, how'd you make it?
>>
>>49948545
Map was initially made in Inkarnate, the roads/icons/names I'm adding afterwards in Photoshop.
>>
>>49948525
That's true, it's just that the other digital maps are so nice and well-crafted, it would be a shame to drop the ball at the end of the campaign, I guess. I've been googling, but haven't found much.
>>
>>49947008
Rural bumpkin half-elf son of a moonshiner in an urban, high society intrigue game
>>
>>49937000
>>>49937036
>I actually enjoyed it anon, reminds me a lot of my group I DM for. The sailor's dozen bit was exactly the kinda shit we'd say. Did you get the tentacle encounter from one of these threads? I recall seeing something similar here and was gonna use it sometime myself.

Yep yep I actually did! Fleshed it out a bit more and was fully prepared to wreck the ship.... But I guess we'll see what happens in part 2. I'll have to wait till next week to post it though.
>>
>>49947024
I usually pick human, elf, or half-elf because the rest just don't leap out at me as particularly fun.
>>
I'm DMing my first campaign with a dragonborn barbarian and a warforged monk.
It's our first RPG for all 3 of us any advice ?
>>
>>49948761
Rape them if they get out of line.
>>
r8 my party makeup
>human eldritch knight fighter
>human artificer wizard
>drow archfey warlock
>human satire bard
>elf hunter ranger(revised)
>>
>>49945463
What about them? everybody knows clerics can only have one alignment.
>>
>>49948761
Run LMoP its honestly probably the best "module" WoTC have put out. It also easily transitions into the other modules or to your own story
>>
>>49948806
>EK
10/10 if they have absorb elements, shield, GFB, BB and they use dexterity
Probably shit though
>artificer
Shit/10
>drow archfey warlock
Not great but probably a nice character/10, either that or edgy/10.
>satire bard
If that means lore bard, yes/10
If that's more shittyhomebrew, maybe/10
>elf hunter ranger
Either good/10 or FUCKING MUNCHKIN/10 if they multiclass.

Overall spellerific and about 7.5/10
>>
>>49946905
Reading the statblock answers that question. The literally petrify things and attach them to their body.
>>
>>49949083
>not knowing UA
Satire Bard is from Kits of Old
>>
File: 1461409834568.jpg (258KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1461409834568.jpg
258KB, 1920x1080px
>>49947943
>mfw I played a drunken drow monk that specialized in procrastination

Nothing wrong with playing the exception every now and then.
>>
So I'm close to hitting lvl 8 and need some help picking what to get. Playing Oath of Ancients Paladin, stats:18,6,18,10,12,16 and have Vicious Longsword, Luckstone and ring of nondetection.
Option 1: Picking Inspiring Leader and giving 11 temp hit points per short rest
Option 2: Sentinel Feat. The DM plays every monster smartly so this would help me lockdown fleeing opponents.
Option 3: Boosting Charisma for +1 to all saves,spell dc, spells prepared and persuation.
Option 4: Boosting Strenght for +1 to hit, damage and athletics
What do to 5eg ?
>>
>>49941645
>goblins attack
>'ha, it's just goblins, absolutely no danger, we get attacked so often it's not like they might have a hidden trick up their sleeves and push one of us into a hole or something
>going around stealing ancient-yet-still-remaining gems without thought that it could have consequeneces that doom the party
>implying nobody else could have reached those gems somehow

You're not a massive dick, but you're a little dick and certainly a typical rogue.

>>49941907
>tfw secretly a massive evil bitch yet blind everyone to it because you've been so nice and helpful and healful
>>
>>49949106
I'd go with Sentinel if your party is lacking in lockdown/that's how you run your Paladin.
>>
>>49949106
Take the Mounted Combatant feat and summon a cool spirit horse with Find Steed.
>>
>>49949098
Never heard of it.
Looked it up.

>level 3
Kinda neat.
>level 6
Honestly looks kind of stupid.
You can make god himself burp and fart and say stupid things up to your charisma modifier because they suffer an effect if they SUCCEED a save.
>level 14
Kind of a neat feature, though it's like wild sorcerer with the 'DM can fuck you over if they want', except not the DM has less 'fuck you over' potential.

Depends on if the player can play a good comic relief or if they're just a LOL FARTS person.
6/10 I'd give it.
>>
>>49949155
Yeah I'm not personally a fan either, I prefer Blades college in terms of UA
>>
>>49949106
>plays every monster smartly
Shit/10

Inspiring leader is a pretty good option if your team doesn't have temporary HP and you have enough players on the team. I think you would've been better with 18 charisma over 18 con for the aura buff, but sentinel works pretty well since you should stay near your teammates and you don't have a load of reactions.

Honestly, do any of those, though I don't think upping your strength is of prime importance here.
>>
Wanting to play Venom Snake clone from Phantom Pain in FR setting, what's the best way to go about it?

BM revised Ranger (for D Dog)
Battlemaster fighter

Human for Crossbow Master at 1
Or Tiefling for Demon Snake
>>
>>49949164
It does look pretty neat.

Basically valor, but less AC for more damage, on average.
>>
i am going to play half elf warlock(fiend pact) in a sky pirate campaign.
The DM has yet to design the setting so i have quite the freedom on my background, as long as i end up somewhat friendly to my fellow pirate group.

do you have any suggestion on how can i fluff my patron? I am tempted to make him want to achieve something from me, but i don't want to warp the campaign around my master's needs.

a lost artifact to be retrieved from a hidden treasure would fit one of the most common piratesque narrative, but i am trying to think about something more inventive.
>>
>>49949291
>trying to emulate Snake at level 1
kek
>>
Is there a list anywhere of flying creatures that are Medium or larger?
>>
>>49949311
Assume standard array and at least 7th level. How would you do it?
>>
>>49949306
There's a group of people that have done something to piss off the fiend, and it's your job to kill them. Perhaps descendants of a man who cheated or stole from him. Or perhaps there are souls owed to him but they're finding a way to squirm out of their end of the deal.

In any case, a magical effect is in place to bring them to you in some subtle but inevitable fashion.
>>
>>49949379
Honestly it's a difficult ask and I don't know enough about good builds or MGS to give a decent answer
If you want Venom you obviously need at least 3 levels of BM Ranger for DD, I think you'd also want Tavern Brawler for CQC and Crossbow Master for crossbows (duh).
>>
>>49949379
Seventh level assassin rogue with a background that gives him access to tinkerers tools, crossbow and dagger proficiency. Not really that hard. The main problem is that sneak attack doesn't deal all that much damage this edition.
>>
>>49949291
Go warlock
Silent image at will
Use silent image to create cardboard boxes at-will

Fuck you I know it's the wrong snake I don't fucking care
>>
File: we just don't know.gif (760KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
we just don't know.gif
760KB, 250x251px
>>49949416
>sneak attack doesn't deal all that much damage
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>49949416
1 to 10 d6 every turn (including not on other turns) that can stack on top of regular attacks (meaning you can grab extra attack, rage damage, etc) is pretty powerful.
A pure rogue that only sneak attacks once a round doesn't really do more damage than someone feated up with two-handed weapons, but sneak attack can be pretty strong, especially when you crit with it.
>>
>>49949460
And crits are super relevant for Assassins specifically
>>
>>49945672
Hardcore stolen. I love it.
>>
>>49948161
Hey, I ran CoS this summer and I have some hi res castle maps an artist made around its release.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B61gmR1A16QhNTY5Q1dHMkFfMk0/view
>>
>>49949436
Compared to other class sustained damage, rogue is just slightly better than a caster. Sneak attack also deals low burst damage because it was designed as a feature for sustained damage.

The closest you can get to those instant stealth gibs omnipresent in stealth games is a 17 assassin, 3 paladin.
>>
>>49949635
Do assassin's critical hit apply to greenflame blade?
>>
>>49947002
>implying his party wasn't from a previous edition.
>>
>>49949704
As long as they are surprised yes.
>>
>>49947715
Check the mega you whiney asshole.

There's a map of every floor right there.
>>
What characters are /5eg/ playing? I'm trying to get some inspiration for multiclassing and character creation.
>>
>>49949793
I'm playing an Eye of Gruumsh, War Cleric Half-Orc.
>>
>>49949802
How's that lack of depth perception working out for ya?
>>
>>49948284
yes pls
>>
>>49949306
You and your companions need to kill100 humanoids so their souls can be sent down to him to pay off your debt by the end of the year.
Don't even have a visible thing of their soul being dragged to hell, just ask the dm and have that be a thing.
>>
>>49949887
Disadvantage on ranged attacks and perception checks aren't as bad as you think when you commit to the greataxe.
Thread posts: 346
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.