[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 433
Thread images: 38

File: 18lr2a2lipjb6jpg.jpg (35KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
18lr2a2lipjb6jpg.jpg
35KB, 636x358px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread:
>>49917009

Question: what's are the stupidest critical failures or successes you've seen dms let players get away with this edition.
>>
>>49917024

We got a house rule that if a cleric prays for help from his deity he can roll once a game session to see if he responds.

>Critical success

His god showed up, Torm, and hooked him up with a gauntlet that allowed him to turn any non-sentient stone into rubble with a simple punch once a day.

>Crit fail

Accidentally summoned up Torm's hated enemy deity who gave him super herpes bestowing -1 to Charisma and Constitution and having him itch like crazy with massive ugly sores all over. It could only be removed with a wish spell but the effects could be removed for 1 day at the cost of rubbing a greater healing potion over his skin.

He rarely prays now.
>>
>>49902173
I did think about that but I'm not sure, Oath of Vengeance is not sufficiently... holy and pure.

They seem more like lone and grim avengers rather than basically a warrior nun that comes into a refugee camp, heals the wounded and teaches the children the values of sharing and loving before whipping the crowds into a genocidal rage against the orcs with her oratory and putting anyone speaking of peace to the sword.

>>49902174
>Paladin of the crown
What's that ? Which book is it from ?
>>
>>49917056
Thats fucking retarded
>>
>>49917086

So's a bunch of 30 year olds sitting around a table playing make-believe.
>>
Thoughts on this homebrew?

Whenever a creature makes a melee attack against you during its turn, you can use your reaction to give ground. To give ground, your opponent advances forward into your space using its movement, 5 feet per attack the opponent makes against you, and you move backwards with him. If you do, you gain +3 AC against attacks made by that opponent this turn.
>>
>>49917024
>what's are the stupidest critical failures or successes you've seen dms let players get away with this edition.
The first thing that comes to mind is grabbing a sword by the blade.

>Player is on the ground during battle.
>Enemy comes and tries to stab him with a long sword
>Fails
>Players turn
>Player: "Ok, I grab the sword and pull it down and then stab him with my sword"
>DM: "Like... by the blade?"
>Player: "Yes?"
>After a discussion between the players weather or not this should be allowed and why he wouldn't just cut of his fingers doing so, the DM decides to let him roll for it
>nat 20
>There is absolutely no consequence to grabbing the sword by the blade.

It's not that bad, but it was kinda stupid while we were playing.
>>
Posting from a couple threads back:
When I read through SKT I remember seeing some character with a grappling crossbow that lets you fight giants Attack on Titan style.
I can't find them now, though.
Anyone know who / what I'm on about?
>>
>>49917115
Sorry nobody liked your tumblr-tier "muh nat 20 / 1" story
>>
>>49917075
Oath of the Crown is from SCAG. Poor crunch wise, but a rather fluffy piece of candy.
>>
So how are arcane tricksters?

My character died, so I am making a level 8 character. It is one of the "dummy" character my GM introduced, meant to be used if someone needed a new character. It is a rogue (really fucking sly and good at pickpocketing) bit nothing else was revealed in the spirit of letting us shape the character.

I thought of going for the arcane trickster, mostly because combat is like 30% of the games, and we often deal more in sneaking around and talking to people - and the group of EK, Hunter and Weapon master isn't really great at bringing some utility to our non-combat scenarios.

My initial research just seems to indicate that arcane tricksters are super god-tier OR more shit than rangers with dex as their lowest stat, so I can't really figure out if this is a wise decision or not.
>>
>>49917182

OP specifically asked about stories involving crit fails and successes, ya fookin' mook.
>>
>>49917258
If you're not in a lot of combat, as they have some of the lowest combat ability of any Rogue, they're good at social interaction as long as no one finds out about you tricking them. With their good (I'm guessing) DEX score and Stealth prof, they'll be really good sneakers as even Minor Illusion can distract guards to let you get by.
>>
>>49917299
> lowest combat ability of any Rogue
How though? They can always get advantage with Owl familiar and they can use Booming blade as their cantrip. They even get haste down the line. So technically, they are the only rogue that can do 2 sneak attack per round by themselves (attack action from haste, then use ready action to attack off-turn).
>>
I'm designing a setting. I'd like to have a city set in an oasis, in the middle of a volcanic desert. The city is the only viable point of resupply through the desert, on both sides of which are great empires that like trading with each other.

The volcano is largely dormant, but does have a single geyser massive in scale, around which the city is built. The geyser is fed by several underground rivers, which flow into a massive underground cavern just above some extremely hot rocks.

Life around the geyser is adapted for the extreme heat, and most resembles a very hot, swamp

does this sound remotely possible?
>>
>>49917299
Base stats (assumed level 1 and no racial mods until I make the character) is:
Str: 8
Dex:17
Con:10
Int: 15
Wis:11
Cha:16
The intended race was standard human, but the GM is letting me make it a variant if I want.

Not seeing a lot of feats that look too good at first, so the standard human seems pretty solid.

I don't plan on going deep into combat, more of a utility kind of combat character, maybe ganging some backline mages if I have to and the EK can't deal with it himself. So it is mostly the social and exploring type of scenarios I am hoping to excel in.
>>
>>49917339
It's fantasy world. Explain everything with nanomaachi--- I mean magic.
>>
>>49917334
I didn't say the lowest, I said some of the lowest. They only get spells up to the fourth level, no combat ones at that. Thieves can outdo them if the DM lets you get some good magic items, and Assassins can do shit with their level 3 and level 17 features. Swashbucklers can get more sneak attacks, I think. Masterminds do have worse combat utility, as they usually just use Help a lot or scheme hard enough they never fight.
>>
>>49917207
I dunno, Spirit Guardians alone makes them pretty boss. I've houseruled that their ability to take damage for someone else has them only take half damage, just to make them a bit better at tanking.
>>
>>49917024
Our party was confronted with a bunch of angry ghosts, who wanted us dead, because our distant ancestors refused to help them and left them to die.
Our cleric did a huge persuasion check and converted them all to his religion the spot, promising them a nice afterlife, if they just let go of their revenge for a second and allow themselves to be taken to warrior heaven.
>>
>>49917056
Divine intervention like that is an ability they get already. Literally called divine intervention.
>>
>>49917138
Was the character someone who would have any reason to know how swords work? (Because ricasso https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricasso) Or someone who would reasonably wear gauntlets, or at least leather gloves?
>>
>>49917334
Any Dm who let's your owl live for more than 1 round in combat when it is doing that is a bad Gm.
>>
So how do you generally handle magic items?

Generic +1 weapons and armours?

Or do you generally do more specific "this unique item does this very specific thing on top of its usual application?

I have given my party 5 items so far, and they've been;
-Hurricane Blade (+1 long sword which can be used as an action that immediately extinguishes all natural fires in a large cone)

-Invisible Death (a +1 dagger that can be used to deal damage without leaving visual wounds at all, not on the clothes or skin, and leaves no blood.)

-Feather Feet (Boots that stops you from applying pressure where you walk - no track, not even in snow, won't make rocks shift, and makes you take 0 damage if you land on your feet.)

- Garments of the Forge (ordinary clothes that count as Chain Mail +1)

- Chromatic Blades (a holster of 4 throwing daggers held in your belt. Each time you draw, the dagger changes colour, going from Black->Red->Blue - gold. First is an ordinary throwing dagger, second is a throwing dagger that inflicts 1d4 fire damage, blue is a +1 dagger that halves the targets movement for their next movement action, and the gold dagger is a +3 dagger that always hit on a 11+ and always crit if it hits. The colour only changes if it hits and causes damage to a target.)

Anyone got similar kinds of magic items that aren't just generic items with flat bonuses?
>>
>>49917565
>Was the character someone who would have any reason to know how swords work?
Considering that he was a solider dwarf, yes he would know exactly how a sword would work. But the player didn't say anything about the Ricasso. He just said "by the blade". If he had said "by the Ricasso", I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

>Or someone who would reasonably wear gauntlets, or at least leather gloves?
I'm unsure what armor he wore during that fight but I think it was half-plate. Still, the weapon would have been able to at least make some damage to him if he garbed on that hard and then pulled them towards him. It still felt kinda silly.
>>
I want to surprise my players and have them straight up roll a treasure hoard from the level 5-10 chart in the DMG. For better or worse. No restrictions.

Does anyone ever give out loot this way?
>>
I'm failing on my creativity today, so I thought I'd ask you guys: I need one more encounter for my party today, what should I do to them?
>>
>>49917781
The dead body of a courier.
>>
>>49917781
Frost Giants
>>
>>49917781
Jackalweres
>>
>>49917781
Yugoloths
>>
>>49917781
A metallic dragon of encounter appropriate age falls nearly dead out of the sky, followed shortly by a pissed off wounded chromatic of similar strength looking to finish it off.
>>
How to make Favored Soul a decent gish? Despite medium armor and shield.. they still have D6 hp...
>>
>>49917581
I personally don't think it's such a big deal desu senpai
>>
>>49917698
Chances are he doesn't even know what a ricasso is.

>>49917941
I thought FS was super OP?
>>
>>49917941
Buff your AC as high as possible so you don't get hit in the first place
>>
>>49918097
>Advantage on every attack roll every round
>For the cost of one level 1 spell
>Not OP
>>
>>49918133
Actually it's one attack roll per round you fucking idiot
>>
>>49918133
> but it's totally okay when wizard, ek or mastermind rogue do it

Also if you are retard enough to attack familiar (who would be under the protection of total cover from other creature almost all the time), then you also lost the action economy war. The familiar has serve it purpose.
>>
>>49917138

This isn't even dumb actually, theres plenty of old references to people grabbing swords by the blade in combat and even a technique based around holding your own sword by the blade and striking with the guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwuQPfvSSlo
>>
File: 1474543618903.jpg (77KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
1474543618903.jpg
77KB, 621x621px
>>49917131

This is awful. Needlessly complicates combat and overpowered to the point where everything would be fighting backwarda.

Hit vs AC is already a reasonable abstraction of combat.
>>
>>49917941
Start off with two levels of paladin, survive by wearing good armor and smiting down foes as fast as you can.
>>
>>49918259
huh... the more you know.
>>
>>49917360

>Con 10

Oh lawdy. good luck. Arcane Trickster will at least let you dip out of combat hard with invisibility I guess.

If I were you I'd totally switch the Con and Cha if possible. You can still be good at deception if you put expertise in it; you can't get expertise in HP unfortunately.
>>
>>49918265
Combat needs to be more complicated in 5e though. It's too simple, I feel like I'm playing Fisher Pryce edition.

Also mobility.
>>
How is the oath of crown to play with?
>>
4e was pretty good.
>>
File: 1471232338341.jpg (527KB, 1024x748px) Image search: [Google]
1471232338341.jpg
527KB, 1024x748px
>>49918470

>Simple combat being bad

Go play 4e. You're fighting an uphill battle trying to make 5e something that it's not.
>>
>>49918499
Nah. It doesn't seem all that hard or uphill to me so far in my testing.
>>
>>49918473
Decent, not the best. Alright in total, get spirit guardians and then proceed to laugh all the way to the bank.
>>
File: 1474058605701.jpg (341KB, 1146x850px) Image search: [Google]
1474058605701.jpg
341KB, 1146x850px
>>49918511

If you're the guy that suggested everyone gets a free +3AC every round then you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and I feel horrible for your players.
>>
>>49918549
>Free
Explain your reasoning. In my games there are hazards and location based objectives. Giving ground would be costly for players and npcs alike.
>>
>>49918563

Are you the same idiot from last night?
>>
>>49918563
>>49918549
Oh, forget it, you're an anime poster. Explains a lot.
>>
>>49918563
Enjoy Bladesingers with 30 AC, anon.
>>
>>49918572
Probably. One guy posted some relevant criticisms, and I cleaned things up a bit.
>>
>>49918596

I suggest you stop trying, as it's clear that your intentions are going in the exact opposite direction of where you should be going.
>>
>>49918613
Again, explain your reasoning.
>>
File: 1469606700401.jpg (12KB, 474x473px) Image search: [Google]
1469606700401.jpg
12KB, 474x473px
>>49918563

5 feet is not a substantial amount of ground in any scenario, aside from maybe a 10ft square room.

Exhanging a full action for +1AC would be the equivalent of a class feature. +3AC as a reaction is completely fucking retarded.
>>
>>49918638

He knows this, he's just trying to find someone to engage in masturbatory pointless arguments with. Just ignore him.
>>
>>49917131
I'm adding this to my house rules.

>Give Ground:
“Whenever a creature makes a melee attack against you during its turn, you can use your reaction to give ground. To give ground, your opponent advances forward into your space using its movement, 5 feet per attack the opponent makes against you, and you move backwards with him. If you do, you gain +2 AC against attacks made by that opponent this turn.”

>Press The Attack:
“Whenever you make a melee attack against a creature that is not incapacitated and within one size category of you, if you have advantage on that attack you can as part of the attack give up your advantage and move up to your remaining movement in your turn in the direction the opponent is in. The defender must move this distance and direction as well. The defender ignores movement costs for this movement. If they cannot complete the movement, or do not wish to, successful attacks in this attack action automatically crit. You still provoke opportunity attacks as normal.”

>Shields Shall Be Splintered:
“Any time you take damage, you can opt instead to say your shield absorbed the force of the blow. The shield is shattered and must be discarded, but you don't take any damage from that hit. For each magical +1 bonus your shield has, it has a 25% chance of resisting the blow.”

>Armors Shall Be Rent:
“Any time you take damage, you can opt instead to say your armor absorbed the force of the blow. This halves the damage taken. Your armor can endure this an amount of times depending on its class (it’s destroyed if it’s light, it can do it twice if it’s medium, and three times if it’s heavy), plus an additional time per +1 magical bonus it has. Your armor can be repaired, at the cost of 30% of its price per ‘use’ of this rule.”
>>
>>49918638
Read nigga. It's 5 feet per attack, which would be 20 during a turn for a full barb or fighter, and 10 during a turn for most martials after level 5.

The AC bonus is only against attacks by the triggering actor, and only during that turn.

>>49918656
No, I'm looking for legitimate criticism, constructive towards meeting my goals of more tactically interesting combat. "Don't" is not helpful.

Looks like the playtest spergs are out in force today though.
>>
At the request of my GM, I am making a painfully edgy character. I've been greenlit to use any WotC content (such as UAs and all) that doesn't require an "X to 5E" conversion".

Aside from immediately jumping onto a fiend pact warlock, I had the idea of being bound by a particularly successful kyton. They're jailers and torturers in the Hells, and I figure one strong enough to make mortal warlocks might be interested in contracting someone into receiving power in exchange for hunting down evil bastards who would make good souls for torture/be good building material for making the kyton's minions/etc.

So far that means taking Mask of the Many Faces to mimic the kyton ability, figuring out clever ways to turn a set of thieves' tools into torture devices, spending a lot of GP on chains and making sure he has shit like a sickle that's actually a meathook, plenty of knives and an edgy bounty hunter costume.

You guys have any suggestions on spells/pacts/invocations I should invest in to keep this guy as much of a cheesy edge factory as possible? Possible chain themed puns to force into one-liners and other things to make this shit as silly as I fucking can are also welcome.
>>
>>49918681

I get it, you're bored. Several other people have already pointed out how ludicrous what you're suggested is, asking everyone who calls you a retard "why" serves no purpose. Get your head out your ass first if you want constructive criticism, until then, fuck off and stop trying to troll the thread.
>>
>>49918680
Cool, someone saved the previous version, either to shitpost with or out of genuine interest! I think give ground is a bit cleaner than press the attack, which is why I changed it to this version.
>>
>>49918680
Bonus:

Darkvision. Unless I specify the contrary, races with the Darkvision feature (not applicable to Drow or Svirfneblin) have Low-Light Vision: “a creature with low light vision can see in dim light within 30 feet of them as if it were bright light”. Half-orcs, dwarves and gnomes keep Darkvision as in the PHB.

The Darkvision spell is now 1st level, and apart from giving Darkvision as normal it also lets the target see through magical darkness.
>>
>>49917299
BAARRDDD
>>
File: OQL4p2I.jpg (111KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
OQL4p2I.jpg
111KB, 1080x1080px
Hey guys, thinking about making a succubus enemy, and their flavor. It would be cool if you listen and tell me what you think.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0rIAJl7PDMa
>>
>>49918702
A couple of people have said the equivalent of "don't" without providing valid arguments. One guy has provided valid criticism, and one guy has provided criticism I disagree with and think is based on a misreading of the purposes rule.

Don't worry, I'm keeping track.
>>
>>49918717
>that bulge
>>
>>49918704
Now that I think of it, perhaps making Give Ground let the attacker move up to their speed (at no cost?) regardless of the number of attack could be nice, because it allows them to chain into a Press the Attack.
>>
>>49918751
Nah, shitposter-san that seems a bit over the top.
>>
File: 1473482906945.jpg (265KB, 400x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1473482906945.jpg
265KB, 400x1200px
>>49918681

If it costs a reaction, you can only move 5 feet. You get one reaction per round you failed abortion.

If you react to an attack then you can't react to a second attack from the same person or any other attackers that round.
>>
>>49918692
Make him sing this as he's torturing some poor motherfucker to death at some point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGAiW5dOnKo

Good edge character, anon. I like him.
>>
>>49918796
Oh this definitely goes on the soundtrack.
>>
>Playing Zendikar setting
>Be Martial without magic
>GM throws an Eldrazi drone at us
>I attack it
>He attacks me
>I tell GM I don't exist for him
>He says what?
>Show him in the lore that Eldrazi can only see mana/magic and my character has no magic
He should have forced us to play casters or halfcasters instead, gonna beat this invasion and free Innistrad of these abominations by myself!
>>
>>49918795
And there's the misunderstanding, though tbf it was based on the rule being unclear.

The reaction is to the melee attack, and the rule let's you move 5 feet per attack taken against you this turn by that opponent without taking additional reactions. I'll reword it for additional clarity in the next iteration.
>>
>>49918781
>over-the-top
Why? It's only going to be up to 30ft. (More or less).
>>
>>49918795
Not even the guy who made it:
You use a reaction to use Give Ground. Give Ground lasts the entire enemy turn. It's not hard.
>>
>>49918822
>Not responding that mana runs through all things, and that's why black mages ashnod's altar works.
>>
File: 1470676189015.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1470676189015.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>49918826

>One reaction gives you unlimited reactions against this enemy
>And +3AC
>And free movement

This doesn't make it any less retarded.
>>
File: 1450548997706.png (211KB, 467x348px) Image search: [Google]
1450548997706.png
211KB, 467x348px
>>49918717
what is she drinking?
>>
>>49918847
Too late, I'm already the leader of the resistance and we're purging casters to create an invisible force.
>>
>>49918881
>she
>>
>>49918886
It's a she. It has tits.
>>
>>49918868
>Unlimited
I didn't realize you had trouble counting to four.

>ReactionS
No. Once you choose to give ground, your moving at your opponent's option, not your own.
>>
File: she.png (960KB, 1470x1090px) Image search: [Google]
she.png
960KB, 1470x1090px
>>49918901
>she
>>
>>49918881
its cum. the vocaroo is about succubuses who live off cum
>>
File: uhhhh.png (51KB, 542x616px) Image search: [Google]
uhhhh.png
51KB, 542x616px
>>49918934
Photoshop?
>>
>>49918901
If you're born with a penis, you're a man. If you're born with a vagina, you're woman. It's simple.
>>
>>49918934
its elle fanning
>>
>>49918692
Fluff Arms of Hadar as chains whipping off his body and striking people in the face. Hex for MORE PAIN. Hold person with chains. Forcecage, even without the chains would still look cool.
>>
>>49918901
It also clearly has a cock (and manly hips)
>>
The only character voices I can pull off are Sheriff McHicksville, Televangelist, Cockney shit, and Pirate Geoffrey Rush if I've been drinking.

Which should I use for Elves?
>>
>>49918994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BquLcQ0ZyE
>>
File: ',;J.gif (318KB, 245x175px) Image search: [Google]
',;J.gif
318KB, 245x175px
>>49918901
>>49918994
*they
>>
File: 1416793391146.jpg (51KB, 589x545px) Image search: [Google]
1416793391146.jpg
51KB, 589x545px
>>49918970
>>49918994
I don't want to believe that. I already jerked off to that pic.
>>
>>49919029

>Coming to 4chan
>Not being gay

Welcome to being gay bro. Next stop: Fapping to traps nonstop.
>>
File: ohgod.jpg (23KB, 698x672px) Image search: [Google]
ohgod.jpg
23KB, 698x672px
>>49919034
It's not gay if I crop the bulge.
>>
>>49919050
I was the anon who cropped the bulge.

It's my favorite part.
>>
>>49918097
10gp for a free reroll and free sneak attack and twice the crits forever XD
>>
>>49919025
xer*
>>
>>49917534
You actually think people who think crit fails are a thing read the rules?
>>
>>49918975
>>49919019
Man he's really good at hiding it.
>>
>>49919012
Televangelist for sure.
>>
>>49918680
Be half orc Barbarian. Walk up to foe. Charge him 40ft to the nearest obstacle then autocrit triple damage every turn.
>>
File: 1474308918592.gif (3MB, 225x180px) Image search: [Google]
1474308918592.gif
3MB, 225x180px
>>49919093
>>
>>49919108
be honest tg
wuld u?
>>
>>49918717
The race made up of Incubi and Succubi is called Lilin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilin
>>
>>49919066
>complaining about "free sneak attack"
Anon, I...
>>
File: kudos.jpg (256KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
kudos.jpg
256KB, 760x596px
What is the best oath and why is it the Oath of the Ancients?
>>
>>49919066
You knew that all rogue were design with the assumtion that they should always get sneak attack all the time right?
>>
>>49919104
Hm. I see.

Perhaps it's better to have movement/2, and the movement happens only if the attack hits.
>>
Since it has nothing else would "Special: ignores the AC bonus of shields" be an ok change to the flail?
>>
File: pirate_zpsde973ed0.jpg (40KB, 362x480px) Image search: [Google]
pirate_zpsde973ed0.jpg
40KB, 362x480px
I love the idea of a pirate warlock who sold his soul after getting marooned by mutineers to save himself and get revenge on the pirates that did it. I can't justify playing this character in a non-seafaring campaign though. Would you play a pirate in a land campaign?
>>
>>49919317
sure
good idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_-rmuPZC4
>>
How do you pronounce Uthgardt?
Oot-gart?
Uth-gard?
Something else?
>>
>>49919349
I was just saying, i thought that's what they were designed to do. Also, I forgot how cool that scene was.
>>
>>49919418
i wasn't being a dick, it is a good idea
>>
I'm making a boss which uses mercer's gunslinger class as a base and i was thinking about making it so one of his weapons has a random property everytime it is fired. What would be some fun effects? Not necesarily damage boosting ones.
>>
>>49919480
Roll 1d100:
1-75: roll on Wild Magic
76-94: roll on Rod of Wonder
95-100: roll on Deck of Many Things
>>
>>49917024
A critical failure on a balance check led to the barbarian falling to the bottom of a pile of sand and start suffocating.
>>
>>49918259
am i the only one who watched this just to see if he would lose any fingers?
>>
>>49919413
At first glance, I read it as
>ooth-gart
>>
>>49919718
I'll probably go with this as well
>>
My group has spent over half an hour arguing because one of our players wants to essentially tackle something without it counting as grappling via doing a "extreme shove"

The DM spent 20 minutes houseruling it

Send help
>>
>>49919413
OOTH-gart
>>
>>49919337
You could justify it if the pirates he was chasing decided to flee on land after he got some of them at sea.
>>
>>49919533
>on his first turn, the BBEG points his gun at you
>he suddenly disappears
>he drew Donjon
>>
>there are people who still think trying to grab a weapon by the blade is super dangerous unless it's, say, an ultrasharp enchanted blade
>>
File: 1437327897085.jpg (103KB, 1200x537px) Image search: [Google]
1437327897085.jpg
103KB, 1200x537px
>>49919337
I played a pirate on land. In his backstory, a rival band of pirates engaged them on the high seas, slaughtered everyone and torched his ship. He ended up washing ashore on a foreign land and rather disliked ships after the trauma.

If your character was marooned, floating on the open ocean for god knows how long with nothing but a tiny boat, he would have a very legitimate reason to prefer being on land from here on out. Bonus point s if the mutineers are the sort who spend more time landborne in taverns than out at sea.
>>
>>49919797
It IS dangerous and there's a reason why it isn't generally done

A fucking properly sharpened kitchen knife can cut your fingers to the bone if you aren't careful, and that takes forever to heal
>>
>>49919418
I wouldn't make it a 'special feature' of the weapon, but include it in a flail-specific feat. Like the 'spear' feat in the unearthed arcana.

It is a good idea though, I rather like it as well.
>>
>>49919796
Destroy your campaign with two simple rolls, my friend
>>
>>49919843
Yeah if you mash it into your fist like a retard
If you're careful it's easier than it sounds
>>
>>49919480
Sounds kind of stupid. I mean, each of those ideas individually is fine but once you put them together it reeks of 'wait, what the fuck?'

Getting a likely already unreliable weapon and purposefully using an attack that has an unreliable effect while in the face of danger sounds like 'I have no idea why I'm still alive, I've already won 5 darwin awards'.

That said, I did something that was even more stupid.
I had plans for a final boss on one line which was basically a crew of well-outfitted engineers in a tank-like machine, and every round it would roll a d20, a 1 incurring technical issues and a 20 incurring the use of some unexpected device. The same effect as a 1 would likely have been induced every time it takes severe damage, too.

Say, the effects on '1' would be things like the movement/engine systems cutting out, loss of equipment or ammunition, misfires or something and often it might involve the engineers having to fix it mid-fight.

20 would include mostly non-mechanical magical boosts like shields, speed, fire and the like.
>>
>>49919843
These aren't sharpened kitchen knives.

The sharpest knives we have today weren't possible to maintain back then.

The larger swords may often even be mostly used for their blunt force rather than their cutting force.

It's the whole 'Katanas would be great at cutting peasants, but not a knight in armour' deal, and that certainly applies if your character is wearing any armour at all.

You could probably cut yourself, but you probably won't incur any significant injuries that'll matter until after the fight.
>>
>>49919908
>The sharpest knives we have today weren't possible to maintain back then.
"Back then" isn't really relevant on fucking D&D unless you're playing a hilariously low power campaign

I'm going to bet a level 10 character isn't going to be running with a sword less sharp than a modern average kitchen knife
>>
>>49919979
Yeah but I've also got magical gauntlets so I can probably grab weapons more safely.
>>
A Barbarian can add CON to naked AC because they're so tough.
A Monk can add WIS to naked AC because they're so attuned.
How would you add other stats to naked AC, and what sort of class would it apply to?
>>
>>49919979
Well, I can't really argue much about how easy it is to hold onto the blade of a kitchen knife (as opposed to trying to chop something with it and missing) but I know that it's probably not going to go right through. Enough to give you 1d2 damage perhaps if you're not wearing anything on your hands at all.

A grown man can shrug off a bit of that pain if it's in the middle of a fight.
>>
I'm having little luck in the low traffic Gamefinder thread, is anyone looking for a game over skype on Sundays at 6:15 Pacific? Mid fantasy setting, the only real change to vanilla is an altered choice of races. Collapse of the Roman Empire style world, and there are also dinosaurs.
>>
>>49920018
A Wizard can add INT to naked AC because they're so fucking overpowered.
>>
>>49920018
Bladesingers add INT to AC because fuck if I know, fucking elves. Their brainpower is so powerful they can use it to run extra fast?

However, I'd imagine it like this:

STR - Muscle shielding protection / forcing forces away.
INT - Psionic barrier.
CHA - A barrier created through pure force of will.
>>
>>49920058
>CHA - A barrier created through pure force of will.

Nonono, it should be a barrier of pure fabulousness.
>>
>>49920018
Str - You can prevent someone from attacking by sheer strength. Grabbing them by the arm etc.
Dex- they can dodge and avoid taking damaged
Con - already mentioned
Int - they can figure out how they are going to attack and move/dodge accordingly.
Wis - already mentioned
Cha - You are just too damn sexy to hurt. They wouldn't want to hurt that face, now do they? Didn't think so.
>>
>>49919866
I feel like there'd have to be more to the feat than just that, though.
>>
>>49919337
Eh, it could work the same way the Count of Monte Cristo works. His enemies became successful dudes somewhere else.
>>
>>49920091
The int one doesn't realy work because there's nothing to use your brainpower on.

'There's a ray shooting towards me. Oh, well, I'd better quickly calculate which way to dodge' doesn't really work, because you can dodge just about any direction.

Perhaps if you're taking multiple hits at once that would work.

'Figuring out how the enemy is going to attack/move' doesn't really work because that's what wisdom is.
>>
>>49920132
How would you make Int give AC then? That was the best I could think of on a short notice.
>>
>>49919480
Just make it do regular damage plus a d6 random elemental damage (there are tables in the DMG for this, it's by armor of resistance)
>>
>>49920165
Int is just a crappy stat.
People want to justify it being used for things all the time, but when you think about it...

It is literally 'brainpower, and analytical ability'. Analytical ability almost works, but..
Almost everything is either to do with memorizing stuff (spells, the workings of magic, studies) or psionics, really.

So.. Psionics. Int saves to counter psionics. Int to AC when using a psionic barrier. Int to blast someone with brainwaves.
>>
>>49918738
As Someone who has shot a film with her. There is No Penis.
>>
>>49920106
Well sure.

Check out the one in the Feat Unearthed Arcana.

Flail Mastery
- You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls you make with a flail
- As a bonus action on your turn, you can prepare yourself to extend your flail to sweep over targets' shield. Until the end of this turn, your attack rolls gain a +2 bonus against any target using a shield.
- When you hit with an opportunity attack using a flail, the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength modifier) or be knocked prone.
>>
>>49920437
Looks pretty balanced, no way it came from UA.
>>
>>49919337
Had something like that but not quite.

Played a Swashbuckler/Dragon Sorcerer pirate captain.
He entered (raided) an ancient temple of some indigenous peoples with his buddies and got petrified mid combat.
Some court wizard accidentally removed the petrification later on.
400 years later to be precise.
Perfect excuse of not knowing jack shit about the world and playing a confused explorer/murderhobo.

For yours your character could have part of his soul taken under a powerful curse for angering a powerful being.
Later he got approached by another otherworldly entity who has an enemity with the one that stole part of his soul so he got the job as warlock (without loosing the rest of his soul).
>>
>>49920483
Feats UA is pretty decent all around, I recommend it
>>
>>49920437
I have never, in my entire 5e experience, fought against someone who was using a shield.
>>
File: True Neutral.gif (1MB, 297x200px) Image search: [Google]
True Neutral.gif
1MB, 297x200px
>>49920483
UAs aren't that bad.
>>
>>49920517
Really? To be fair, I just compiled a list of things in the MM that have shields by default.

Lizardfolk, Orc Eye of Gruumsh, Gladiators, Guards, Kuo-toa, Hobgoblin Warlord, Hobgoblin, Helmed Horror, Goblin, Goblin Bosses, Gnolls, Drow Elite Warrior, Duergar, Death Knight, Bullywugs, Bugbear, Bugbear Chiefs, Azer.

I mean, it would be tough to never fight a monster-manual goblin, hobgoblin or gnoll, but not impossible. Guards and gladiator statblocks are stand-ins for a lot of generic NPCs but also avoidable.

Just kinda unusual.
>>
>>49920165
You remember the Sherlock movies with Downey Jr, where he gets Autismo Bullet Time?

Like that.
>>
>>49920629
Kua toa's have those sticky shield things don't they?
>>
>>49920657
Yeah, and they count as shields in the MM. Their AC is 13 (natural armor, shield)
>>
>>49920517
Really?
A bunch of basic enemies like gnolls and hobgoblins have them
>>
>>49920072
They are just too pretty to kill.
>>
>>49920483
If by balanced you mean underpowered, sure.

>>49920437
That's pretty bad.

The 'if you hit with an opportunity attack' only applies sometimes, and only applies if you hit, and only applies if they then fail a saving throw, and they can IMMEDIATELY get back up again if they started their turn next to you. All you did is drain some of their movement.
That's okay, but kinda bad when the only other two features are:

a) for a bonus action, you ignore shields (situational)
b) you get +1 to hit.

I mean, jeez, that's pretty boring. It's not incredibly underpowered, but that's still pretty meh.

Flails aren't good weapons anyway. They're 1d8 strength weapons, one-handed. The only people who would use those are heavy armour clerics, and they probably won't want a feat that's all about melee fighting anyway with their lesser number of feats.

If you're going sword and board, you'd just go rapier+ shield.
>>
What're the confirmed races for Volo's so far?
>>
>>49920911
Firbolg, Orc, Goblin, Catfolk (Tabaxi?)
I think Kobold but not sure
>>
>>49920434
Did you fugg?
>>
So my players just came to my with character concepts for a quick one-two session game, level 4.

A Bladelock, A GW fighter, a Sword-and-Boardbarian, A Double-Shortsword-Rogue and a Melee Abjurer Wizard.

Every single one of them responded "So, somone else can change i'm not changing" when I pointed out that the party already has plenty of melee contenders.

So this is happening, what monsters or tactics CR1-5 region can I use to fuck with these guys and make them regret their shit decisions.
>>
>>49921075
Anything that flies.
>>
my DM wants to run a low level(from 1 till death or getting bored, both should come way before 20) campaign set in a world full of flying island and flying ships as our first 5e campaign.

what would be the best spells and classes to interact with flying ships and a sky enviroment?
>>
Amaunator no longer exists. He "died" when Netheril fell and most of his worshippers were wiped out. The last vestiges of his powers were (ostensibly) reborn as Lathander, who has a completely different personality.

Amaunator was a NO FUN god of bureaucracy who obsessed over the placement of punctuation in text. Lathander cares about babies and working out and being happy and joyful. Amaunator didn't give a shit about any of that.

Whether or not Amaunator actually is Lathander is something that can be debated. It's believed by a lot of scholars in-universe that it happened that way, but it's also just as likely that Lathander was born out of whole cloth (as gods can be, since FR operates under consensus reality) through the belief of a bunch of misinformed people, or he was a completely separate and mostly powerless entity that stumbled upon some lost Amaunatorian domains and jacked them.
>>
>>49921105
So flying creatures and out-of-reach ranged attackers. Anything inparticular that they might not want to tangle with.

I was thinking maybe giant spiders? Web they have to traverse through slowing them down, I was thinking of taking wolf spiders and replacing the poison-bite rider with a grapple-rider, they bite at their foe and then scuttle backwards dragging them along through the web splitting the party up. I've seen people use crabs similarly, grapple-rider people then drag them into water.

Or maybe net-users, one goblin throwing a net may only slow down Zug the Barbarian for one action, but he won't get to attack that turn, may lose his rage and as soon as he escapes, second net-goblin.
>>
>>49921075
hallways, closed spaces OR enemies abusing ranged advantage from secured places ( guardtowers, other side of a river/chasm).
give enemies casters in a safe spot and put 2 meatshield upfront slowing them down.
>>
File: 1476894103342.png (71KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1476894103342.png
71KB, 321x322px
>>49920434
So it really is a girl? It's no homo to save this pic?
>>
>>49921127
Feather Fall being one of the more obvious ones. Druid is good because of flying beast shapes and beast shapes as HP-cushions. Half-orc is a good race for similar reasons, although in that case you'll have to keep it within reason.

Also Monk comes with a natural slow fall, and it doesn't even specify a need for a wall.
>>
>>49921075
Same Anon-here, also sorting out treasure supplies, looking to give each character 2 "items" since it's going to be only a few sessions.

Barb is getting a Javalin of Lightning and a +1 Shield, Fighter a +1 Greataxe and non-magical Platemail. Bladelock is getting a +1 Rod of the Keeper that also makes whatever form he chooses his pact weapon into a +1 Weapon, Wizard getting a Wand of Magic Missle and a handfull of scrolls.

What can I give the Rogue that is fun and memorable other than "Here is a +1 shortsword and oh look, a +1 shortsword!"
>>
>>49921303
ring of invisibility
>>
>>49921184
Ooh of course, if the corridoor is only 10ft wide, only two party members get to square up and the other 3 have to throw bitch-axes (Enemies having cover) and insults.
>>
>>49921303
Cloak and Boots of the Elvenkind.
>>
>>49920911
Orc, goblin, firbolg, catfolk, aasimar, tritons, I've heard words about kenku too. And gnolls are confirmed to not be in there.
>>
File: Sundawner.png (644KB, 972x788px) Image search: [Google]
Sundawner.png
644KB, 972x788px
>>49921321
Fuck yeah, I want 5
>>
I need to make a char based on this song, quick, class and race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9t6IqYtccs
>>
>>49921169
He came back anon, but seems more like Lathander was a more powerful aspect of the whole entity.
>>
>>49921376
Class: Bard
Use lyrics for bardic inspiration. Not sure about race, maybe human or half-elf.
>>
>>49921075
Why encourage your players to change just because there's a lot of something?

Sometimes, it's good to have similarities in the party. The main point is that players don't overwhelm each other's playstyles (say, a healer, but then the fighter is somehow a better healer than the healer and makes the healer feel bad).

The bladelock is laughable, but it's only a short game, so they can get away with being shit.

Have enemies that attack from along distance and have defences and traps in the way.
Have flying enemies.
Have enemies with strong melee power, but minimal ranged power.

But for the love of god, don't spam those things. Include them somewhere to make them think, but don't thow it everywhere like 'Ha, the DM hates you!'
>>
>>49921376
Halfling Monk
>>
>>49918681
>Read nigga. It's 5 feet per attack, which would be 20 during a turn for a full barb or fighter, and 10 during a turn for most martials after level 5.

That could make fights more anime like.
>>
>>49921438
An left my trip after changing boards. My bad.
>>
>>49921376
Bladelock or PHB Beastmaster, Default Human
>>
>>49921376
Warforged Druid.
>>
>>49921403
Yeah, I don't want to make them think "Well we're being dicked on, whats the point, fuck you GM." but I do want them to think "Ugh, maybe 5 guys who all want to be in Melee wasn't a smart move, who feels like stepping back a bit?" Things like tight hallways seem great idea and the odd flying enemy to at least make people consider their throwing weapons, or the wizard/lock to cast spells.
>>
>>49919742
You can shove things prone. Why wouldn't he want to grapple it?
>>
>>49921636
With the relatively low-magic expectations of 5e, all you'd really need is for anyone using a finesse weapon to pick up a bow, or for the bladesinger to grab fire bolt (I'd suggest the bladelock get eldritch blast, but it would completely overshadow his melee ability so that's iffy.)
>>
>>49922304
>(I'd suggest the bladelock get eldritch blast, but it would completely overshadow his melee ability so that's iffy.)
It really depends on his build and his level. He could at least take EB and not agonizing blast and it's better than being another javelin-hurler.
>>
>>49917131
Pls stop
>>
File: 1280788123488.jpg (47KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1280788123488.jpg
47KB, 320x240px
>DMs that only reward XP for combat
>>
>>49917697
The daggers would take up too much time in combat
>>
>>49920165
Same way gun-kata does, extensive study of how people move and fight lets you know the best way to evade attack.
>>
I've been thinking about certain class ideas. Things like a class that makes/uses traps and battlefield control, blood mage that uses int+con for interesting spell-like effects, a spellcrafter that gets tables of spell effects and damage types that they can put together to create new spells on the fly, with increasing damage die as they level up.

Problem with these ideas is, they don't fit super well as archetypes into any existing classes- they're somewhat similar to certain classes in different ways- trapper would be similar to a rogue set up, but the basic class features don't fit, the other two are thematically (in my mind) similar to around sorcerer or warlock but the mechanics don't match up.

On top of that, the ideas are focused enough to have content for basic class progression, but not really for multiple archetypes.

Question is, how well does a straight-shot class progression fit into 5e's design approach in your opinion? One class, everybody who plays it has access to the same options. Even existing classes that don't have archetypes, like warlock or cleric, still have the player make decisions about what features they want that cuts off access to other features. With these examples I'm working on different characters would emerge based on which options you choose to use, rather than which features you decide to pursue. Not wording this well, but hopefully you get the idea.
>>
>>49922455
I feel you man. Was a couple levels behind of where we should have been because DM kept giving us no or only partial credit for dealing with various encounters that wasn't completely killing it.

Was in an 8 person game as well so XP budget math just completely fell apart so combats that were challenging weren't giving us nearly as much XP as they should have been. We eventually switched to milestoning but the guy still wouldn't let us level up for big accomplishments, only when we killed a big boss.
>>
>>49922573
In my experience with class homebrew, /5eg/ will just tell you you can do that with existing classes.
Which is both a valid and dumb point.

That said, it's very important to emulate the design philosophy that the rest of the game has. The class options are important (for multiple reasons, at the very least because it's more fun).
I'd first examine if your ideas fill a gap, if at all, in what classes are available mechanically, not flavor.
>>
File: (Concept_Art).png (291KB, 406x599px) Image search: [Google]
(Concept_Art).png
291KB, 406x599px
GM has let me pick any monster (within reason) to use as my Warlock pact of chain pet. I was thinking Shield Guardian or something similar.

Any suggestions? We're level 10, so he's open to some rough monsters, but he's gonna gimp them to make it reasonable to use no matter what it is.
>>
>>49918680
AC already takes into account shield and armor. If your group likes these rules more power to you but its not very realistic and seems needlessly complicated.
>>
So what's the general consensus when it comes to leveling up with multiclassing?

What I mean is, should you prioritize getting that first ASI before putting yourself back too many levels?
>>
>>49921127
In addition to what the other anon said, anything that would get you a flying speed at some point would be nice.
>>
How should a DM go about letting the party undercover a plot amongst the nobility to overthrow the king? What's a natural and suspenseful way to reveal this information?

New DM here and want to get political with my campaign but im unsure where to start.
>>
>>49922701
I think small or tiny creatures are better as familiars.

Give us some help. Namely, what's your patron?
>>
>>49922701
Something living would probably be better to be honest. Shield guardians are constructs whereas the pact pet is most likely intended to be something else.
>>
>>49922455
>manage to completely avoid an encounter through cleverness, guile, and luck
>No XP
>>
>>49922851
Have a potential whistleblower noble murdered by other conspirators.

Have one super suspicious asshole noble who is actually the good guy.

Have the actual conspirators be the milk toast nobles seeking power since their personality can't carry them further.

Throw in some evil cult or something to give some combat encounters to break the mystery.
>>
>>49922861
I realize that, but I need something to protect me. (The party's frontliners are pretty bad). I've got the Great Old One as my patron, a homebrewed God of Knowledge. I'm open to smaller animals though, if they can provide me useful utility.

>>49922864
Yeah I suppose, but it's all taste. Most of the pets are garbage, unless there is a neat-o one I overlooked.
>>
Suggestion is a fucking awesome spell in this edition holy shit. I dont even think the target knows hes been charmed.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (231KB, 809x1122px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
231KB, 809x1122px
>>49922701
>>49922988
>(within reason)
>Shield Guardian

are we thinking of different shield guardians?
>>
>>49922988
Imps and Sprites have invisibility at will, so they can hover over someone invisibly using the help action every turn. The owl's flyby means it can fly into someone's face, attack (or help an ally), then fly away unharmed.
>>
>>49922455
>DMs that reward XP
>>
>>49923062
Forgot: according to the monster manual, quasits and pseudodragons give their bonded owner magic resistance (advantage on all saves vs. spells) if they're within one mile of each other.
>>
>>49917207
Thanks, just read it, seems kinda meh ?
>>
>>49922988
Giant octopus.
When you poof it out for combat/tanking purposes it appears usually wet or moist. From the moment it comes out of the pocket dimension/wherever you summoned it from, it can only survive out of water for 13 minutes since it can't breathe air. Any longer, it will poof out of existence as if it had "died."

It can't move much but has a lot of reach and deals decent damage and has a nice amount of HP for a CR 1.
>>
>>49923111
No, that's a variant rule. One that is pretty retarded and that I've never seen used.
>>
>>49923133
I'm almost positive it's only listed there for the purposes of giving an enemy spell caster a way to be more protected by having a familiar by their side.
Not intended to be used by PCs.
>>
>>49923148
I would only see it as anywhere near usable by PCs if familiars worked on totally different rules

bring back something like "if your familiar dies you lose a point in constitution" and I might consider that.

otherwise it's just more retarded shit packed on familiars which are already retarded shit
>>
>>49923133
>>49923148
Feats are also a variant rule.

That said, you're right. So the only good choices for chain familiars are imps and sprites, or maybe an owl. Owl is particularly good if you can swing some way to cast a touch spell with a readied action, so it can flyby-deliver it.
>>
>>49923048
We REALLY need help. Only three of us have been showing up reliably in a campaign designed for 6 people and even then it's suppose to be hard.

>>49923062
Those effects are really not worth it. Because of the situations we're in mostly they'd either die or be useless.
>>
>>49923189
Anon it's a fucking CR 7 thing with 140 some hitpoints

That's completely pants on fucking head retarded to get as a Familiar.
>>
>>49923209
It would get gimped pretty hard. I don't know what he's going to remove but he'll make it reasonable.
>>
>>49923227
Honestly if the DM wants you to have a shield guardian you should just find an amulet that controls one or something.

As a familiar it's pretty fucking nuts.
>>
>>49918680
Shields shall be splintered sounds good, and armors shall be rent sounds good. I like in particular that the heavier armour actually has another benefit to it with this, and that it makes you think a bit about it. If shields didn't take an action to equip, it'd get a bit silly, however. I think instead of making the shield automatically stop an attack, it could be 'you get a +5 to AC until the end of the current turn (not round).
Also repairs means more money to spend, which is something 5e needs.
I'd be almost tempted to add those to my own games.

Give ground nerfs reaction-based features, especially a wizard's 'shield' or a rogue's 'uncanny dodge'. Very rarely is moving backwards actually a bad thing, and quite often moving backwards can be a good thing.

And, obviously, if it is a bad thing you just don't move and nothing happens.

Press the attack is a bit obnoxious in that it has no save or anything.
It's a buff to barbarians.
Barbarians can gain advantage indefinitely, and can then push people around like it's christmas and if the enemy refuses to move then they'll get half-orc + brutal criticals for days.
It's also not obvious how it works with stacked advantage. Does it allow you to keep advantage if you have two advantages, or do you say the advantages have already cancelled?
>>
>>49923227
I think you're vastly underestimating the usefulness of an Imp or Quasit or Pseudodragon and you really have no idea of what a Familiar is supposed to be

a Familiar is not a combat companion thing. It's a magical little helper that does shit for you. Think of a Witch and her black cat.

If you guys really need help because the campaigns too hard, that is 100% the GMs fault. Only three people here today? scale the fight down.
>>
>>49922851
>bard is sleeping around with a countess and she spills the beans
>rogue is on a job to rough up some locals and they offer up info on a noble to get the thieve's guild off their back
>Fighter is out hunting with a local lord and his noble companions and entourage when a noble shows signs of suffering from a geas (spell) to slip poison into the lord's drink.
>Wizard or Alchemist comes across some paperwork at the guild wherein someone is hiding an invoice for certain rare ingredients that go into making a particularly exotic poison
>Paladin is called to investigate a murder -- someone knew too much and got offed for it by someone who wanted to keep their secrets secret!
>Cleric is sitting on the toilet when he overhears a conversation between two altar boys about a "hot noble's wife" who is using sex to work her way up the ladder of political influence because her husband "has high ambitions"
>Gnome barbarian is in the desert wilderness when he sees a hawk dive and slay a cardinal. A cardinal?!! Cardinals are red! Blood is red! Bloodshed! He goes into a rage and slays a desert owlbear, whose spirit sits around and smokes with him (later that night) around the campfire and tells him of a plot to overthrow the king....don't ask. Owlbears hate it when you ask.
>>
Post some neat houserules guys, stuff like this >>49918680
>>
>>49922701
How about your DM thinks a bit and realizes

A) there are notes for 'normal' familiar aquisition, which binds familiars which have free thought but are often more powerful than normal familiars, but they can't be gainedback through the spell.
B) There are 'find familiar' familiars, which are weak for a good god damn reason.

So instead of saying 'you can replace your pact of the chain pet' they should say 'oh, you're a warlock, you can dosome ritual if you want an unusual pet'.

... I guess the problem is that other wizards and such could do it too.

But no matter how they do it, it's inconsistet.

What >>49923252 said basically.

Do remember that you can get your familiar back over a short rest, so the DM giving you a powerful familiar is like saying 'Here, have something that can tank, punch shit better than the fighter, scout and do all this without ever permanently dying'.
>>
>>49923293
>>49922976
Good, good shit anons
>>
>>49917781
An empty room with a single red button on the wall.
>>
>>49917851
I like this idea, however 70% of parties would probably just kill both and strip them clean of scales and shit
>>
>>49923252
>>49923281
>>49923321
I think I am understanding better. I really wouldn't blame the GM, it's not his fault people show up one week and then the next week when we pick it up mid-fight we're down three people.

Putting the familiars thing in the perspective of a witch's cat or something has made me understand their purpose a lot more. However for scouting we already have a rouge (sometimes) who is pretty good at stealthing ahead.

Are warlock pets only really good for scouting?
>>
>>49923512
Chainlock has some of the best utility in the game

you can get a familiar that can turn invisible at will and that you can see/hear through and control and speak through and shit

even if you have a rogue who can scout your Imp can do it much better and without any risk to anyone.

On top of that, your familiar can Help you/allies and give them advantage, can attack though that's not a big draw, and can take any action just like you can.

There's a lot they can do and it's largely up to you/the GM to get creative.
>>
>>49923252
Do it like the Iron Man, your familiar starts as a metal hand or eye, and you gradually have to find more of its scattered pieces.
>>
>>49923512
They can take the 'help' action, to grant any one person advantage. This doesn't take any of your actions.

They can also steal keychains and stuff from guards or something. Going invisible is a big deal.

Technically, the familiar can use the 'help' action without ever revealing itself from invisibility or even giving away its position, but no matter what the people here try to tell you that's just bullshit.
>>
>>49923512
Well their unique pets are a bit better than the standard ones. Quasits have at-will invisibility, 1/long rest fright, and poison. Imps have poison, invisibility, and can see in magical darkness. Pseudodragon has keen senses, telepathy, and poison. Sprites have invisibility, a detect alignment ability, and can wield weapons.
>>
>>49921182
Gelatinous cubes, you absolutely do not want to be near those.
>>
>>49921182
I think they'd still qualify to not lose their rage in that case.

What I'd likely do is if they're creative they could say 'I use my action to escape the net, I walk right up to them and stare them down, but I keep my axe raised so any nets going overhead get caught on the axe'. and give any net attacks disadvantage against them, but any non-net attacks advantage.

I don't know, sounds a plausible way to help avoid nets and it deserves to be a thing for creativity.
>>
File: 1477012294554.png (1MB, 958x899px) Image search: [Google]
1477012294554.png
1MB, 958x899px
>>49923449
If they decide to kill the metallic dragon, then make sure their are repercussions. A curse, or that a young/adult metallic dragon is targeting them for vengeance.
>>
>>49924117
The real repercussion is that they no longer have a dragon with a life-debt to them. Sure draconic ego won't allow any kind of slavic devotion, but there is sure to be a favor down the line. Remember that this is out in the middle of nowhere, there's no hoard to plunder and the value of dragon bits (especially if it's a young one) is really overstated.
>>
>>49924117
>>49924190
I think I'm gonna do this at some point, I find that nothing invests players in a world more than making allies and friends with npcs
>>
>>49924236
It might be less awkward if the dragon itself is weaker than the chromatic that would slay him, and perhaps has no hoard to speak of. Leans toward an intangible reward (information maybe) and relationship building opportunity.
>>
This probably has a really, really, obvious answer.

Am I gonna have to homebrew up enemies that have a player class? I wanna give the players a druid cult to fight from levels three to five.
>>
>>49924330
MM pg 346
>>
>>49924330
PC classes aren't built for that, the balance is wonky. Instead, pull features from classes as needed. Casters can have some cantrips and a few spells, but not the full set of slots and magic a player would have.
>>
>>49924330
Firstly check the NPC list in the back of the MM, there's a Druid in there
Secondly don't bother with "enemies with class levels", just up / lower the hit dice and give them more / fewer spells to be the CR you want.
>>
File: IMG_0321.gif (2MB, 1920x1076px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0321.gif
2MB, 1920x1076px
>GMing Sunday night session
>Have mystery/investigation session planned
>4th level PCs are invited to the local Governor's dinner party because they killed an ogre that was terrorizing the countryside
>Governor's son drinks a cup of wine and succumbs to deadly poison
>Before he dies, he shouts that he "should have known--!"
>Cleric runs up to prince
>I, the GM completely forgot the Revivify is a 3rd level spell this edition and the individual players have way more than 300gp on them at this point
>Governor's son is completely fine
>"ALRIGHT GM WHAT DOES HE SAY HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN?"
>Check notes, he knew who the killer
>Call 15 minute break

The break is right now. You guys have 10 minutes to bail my stupid ass out of this.
>>
>>49924417
not to drink wine without his faithful food tester present
>>
>>49924369
Thanks 4 the spoonfeed. Dumbfuck me was looking in the 'D' section.
>>
so, i found this website that gives really nifty website that displays cards from the MM when i google them "such as thug 5e" and the cards are all in english, but when i go to the site proper, everything is in french http://www.aidedd.org/intro/

unfortunately my sophomore year level of french education cannot navigate me to the "view the english portion of this website" button, if there is one, and if there isn't one, is there a website in english that can provide the same stuff?
>>
>>49924417
Have him get killed by the villain's backup plan
>>
>>49921127
Beastmaster halfling ranger on a pteranodon. Check mate!
>>
>>49924458
I kinda don't think there is one
>>
>>49924417
Bait and switch, the prince suspects someone that he has some sort of ongoing rivalry/hatred for, but it's actually someone else.

Otherwise, the butler.
>>
>>49924458
I don't see one, no. You can always use the google translate version
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aidedd.org%2Fintro%2F&edit-text=&act=url
>>
>>49924417
Hold on what? If your PCs are level 4 the Cleric doesn't have Revivify.
>>
>>49924524
This. Level 3 spells aren't until cleric level 5.
>>
>>49924524
Maybe the 4th level was a typo.
>>
>>49924579

AH FUCK

THAT SON OF A BITCH HAS BEEN CASTING SPELLS TWO LEVELS HIGHER THAN HE SHOULD BE FOR MONTHS

I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE READ THE BOOK
>>
>>49918133

which spell, Faerie Fire?
>>
File: 1476141007127.jpg (3KB, 124x125px) Image search: [Google]
1476141007127.jpg
3KB, 124x125px
>>49924645
Man you really fucked up

also your player is either an asshole or also an idiot
>>
>>49924645
Looks like you're sorted
Good luck
>>
>>49924645

what, were you going to have them fight Godzila at level 9?
>>
>>49924645
Lol. In addition to making the spell fail, make him collapse from overexerting his spiritual power or some shit. Don't kill him, but enough let him know that tricking the DM isn't winning.
>>
>>49924645
What the hell are you even doing?
>>
>>49924688
Wait I've been treating CR as the levelnthe party needs to be to fight it

Is that not right either
>>
>>49924645
>I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE READ THE BOOK
I'm not sure how to react.
>>
>>49924754

well, not entirely.

It's the level a party of four needs to be to fight it decently well.
>>
>>49924754
Close, but not exactly. Monster Manual page 9 for more info.
>>
>>49924645
Alright, you got me. I accept your bait graciously. Please use the harvest from this catch to build your future.
>>
>>49924769
To be fair DMs have enough on their plate without having to second guess all of the players' abilities
Rogues should know their Sneak Attack, casters should know their spells, Bards should know their Inspiration, nobody should lie about any of it.
>>
>>49924857
Yeah, unless you're the type of group who rules-lawyer's everything, it's not hard to do something against the rules to your advantage. While this is a bit of an extreme case (knowing that max spell level is not character level is pretty basic IMO), I would definitely fault the player more than the DM here. Playing a rules-breaking character is either lazy or dickish, and not the DM's fault.
>>
>>49924956
in this situation it's just something so obvious, it's not like it's some tiny rule that isn't being done correctly like a player restoring all his hit die after a long rest

It's giving a player spell levels he shouldn't have, which is fairly huge and in this case directly messed up anon's campaign
>>
>>49925046
I mean, yeah, a more experienced DM definitely would have caught it, and the game would have been better off for it. But that's like, idk, blaming the person who forgot to lock their house for being robbed. Yeah, they should have locked the door, but at the end of the day, it's still the thief who is to blame.
>>
So when your players level up, do you always level them up right before they long rest?

Or do you let them level up mid adventure?
If you do, do they receive the benefits of a long rest (like MMO style, everything shoots to full), or they just gain what they gain upon leveling?
>>
>>49917941
As a feature, +1 HP per Sorcerer level.
>>
TG, what do you think of my crafting rules?

>You can craft up to 25 gp worth of something for every proficient hand at work a day.
>You need a formula for the thing you want to craft
>If the thing you are crafting casts a spell, you must know that spell
>You need suitable components to craft an object. An animate puppet would probably require wood that lends itself to an animation or transmutation focus.

>You may craft a formula for that object before crafting the object
>Formulas are an item one step of rarity above the item you want to craft
>Crafting formulas requires proficency in investigantion and either research on the subject, or supplies within the area of the effect designed. You got magic candles, and a book about using candle wax for summoning, and so you can research into making Candles of Conjuration.
>You can still craft the formula without one or the other, but your progress on crafting a formula takes twice as long

Decent enough?
>>
>>49917941
I played one, going by that one UA with the spell-less ranger

it was pretty bad, but better than a regular sorc I guess. I never once went into melee or used a melee weapon.

You need to multi-class to be a "melee sorc". Go paladin for your first two levels then multiclass into FS.

if you do that it'll be pretty solid.
>>
>>49925655

I was also pondering the following rules

>Consumables take half the time
>destroy the supplies (not the research) for double speed
>Shave 5% off the total time for each point of proficiency involved. This way, Rogues and Bards could craft objects in a quarter of the time, but they'd really have to spec into it
>>
>>49925655
If it works for your party, sure. Crafting in 5e is and should solely be house ruled.
>>
>>49925655
For mundane crafting, I have a simple houserule where the crafter and each person working on it gets 5 + their proficiency bonus gp per day progress to the item. This means that one person can make a set of plate armor in about 180 work hours, which is fairly accurate according to historical sources.

For magic item crafting, both consumables and permanent, I have a whole little subsystem for it.
>>
I'm trying to build a concept that can move fluidly through combat with as many attacks as possible. I'm starting at level 8

Tell me what you guys think, and how I can better it or continue it
Human(Variant)(Dual Wielder)
Fighter(Battlemaster)5/Rogue(Swashbuckler)3
2 weapon fighting style

Which should give me in one turn; 2 attacks, bonus action attack, action surge, 2 attacks
>>
>>49925893
Also I'm giving him a pirate/swashbuckler vibe, the kind who goes through combat laughing and making it almost a dance
>>
>>49925893
Yeah, I don't see why that wouldn't work fine! Sounds fun.
>>
>>49925893
Get a transmutation wizard to let you borrow his transmutation stone for +10 speed, and have him cast haste on you.

Veritable blender right there
>>
File: HOUSERULEDESU.png (43KB, 734x456px) Image search: [Google]
HOUSERULEDESU.png
43KB, 734x456px
>>49923305
>>
3.PF player here. Getting into my first game of this next week.
Could someone give me a rundown of the common newbie failings and trap options to watch out for?
This system is different enough that I feel like a young bab again.
Tell me, also, are Wizards still the best class?
>>
>>49925893
If you can live without dual-wielding. College of Satire Bard get the ability to Dash and Disengage (at the same time) as a bonus action.
>>
>>49926011

Best classes are Cleric, wizard, druid and paladin. The difference between the class tiers in 5E are minuscule , almost negligible to anyone but a professional crybaby(min-maxer/rules lawyer).
>>
>>49925893
You dont really need the Dual Wielder feat, to be quite honest. In the end, it only amounts to about +1dps per round and +1 AC.

If you aren't set on being a human, I'd suggest a halfling instead: halfling nimbleness increases your mobility even more by letting you pass through areas occupied by medium creatures, and lucky along being able to hide behind allies/enemies are super nice. Your Speed does get knocked down to 25ft though, so up to you.
>>
>>49926004
Oh I can post my class changes as well but it's quite long and autistic.
>>
>>49926011
>Could someone give me a rundown of the common newbie failings and trap options to watch out for?
Thinking that there are trap options or that you need to plan your character out to 20 to do well.

5e's line of viability is very low and built into each class. Buff your main stat, don't dump con, and don't multiclass a billion times and you're fine. Ranger is on the weak side and four elements monks are underwhelming but they still perform fine in-play.
>>
>>49926065

also ranger, sorcerer and monk are considered low tier with warlock being bottom of the middle but not quite low tier.
>>
>>49926039
Swashbuckler archetype blocks enemies you attack from using OAs, no need for disengage
>>
File: vomit samus.jpg (133KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
vomit samus.jpg
133KB, 680x680px
>>49926004
>AngryDM
>>
>>49923305
I ignore ammunition costs and consider it covered by lifestyle stuff.

Straight up just ignore encumbrance because I don't play with min-maxing dickwads that want to carry a ridiculous amount of weapons without a multi-dimensional bag of some sorts.

You can only die and come back to your own body once. Reincarnation bypasses the latter rule only once.
>>
>>49926011
Some different you should know:

There is no 5-foot step.

You provoke opportunity attack when you move out of enemy threatening area (not square), so you can circling around the enemy.

Reach weapon can attack at both 5 feet and 10 feet.

Diviner Wizard is one of the best class, but personally I think Lore Bard beat it.

The only trap option in the game is Way of the four Element Monk (because Sun Soul Monk can do pretty much everything it can better) and Purple Dragon Knight Fighter. Champion Fighter isn't a trap but it's boring compare to the other 2.
>>
>>49926106
Only for the enemy you attack. If you are fighting with more than 1 enemy (ie. all the time), Swashbuckler ability is pretty much useless.
>>
>>49926110
Hey I know he's pretty shit but this was actually a good option. Not worthy of an article but it's easier to track, gives some tactical edge to the turn order instead of being impossible to interact with, and makes going from non-combat to combat fluid. Dex is already powerful enough, so I have no qualms with not rolling initiative most of the time.
>>
>>49926065
>>49926090
There isn't a trashcan tier of classes?
That's pleasant. As fun as it was to laugh at it, Pathfinder's Swashbuckler was unacceptable.
>>
>>49926081
I was thinking if not human I'd want to try Wood Elf for dex boost or Eladrin for Misty Step. I think an elf pirate would be sweet.

I'd try to get my hands on a belt of dwarvenkind to rock a sweet beard too
>>
>>49924417
The wine had a few drops of water from the River Styx, it erases the memories of the person it was supposed to assasinate.
>>
>>49926081
> not having DM go autistic on you for "drawing more than 1 weapon in the first round without having Dual Wielder feat"

>>49926065
> Best class
> not mentioned Bard
>>
>>49926136
Personally I house rule that when you hold your action your initiative placement is replaced when that action takes place (if it does).

It makes working with party members a fair bit easier, and feels more natural in terms of 'waiting out' the enemy. But that's just kinda my flavor on things.
>>
>>49926138
You'll still see a lot of discussion about Ranger (which was fixed in the newest unearthed arcana) and some not so great archetypes like Berserker Barbarian and 4 elements monk. But since archetypes usually make up ~1/4th of a character's power, it's not very impactful.
>>
>>49926138
Trashcan tier is Berserker Barbarian, PDK Fighter, Wot4E Monk, any Ranger if you're using the PHB, and Blade Pact Warlock - but even those aren't as awful as things like the Kineticist in Pathfinder.
>>
>>49926133
He has 3 attacks per turn, without using action surge. Those dont even need to connect for the enemies to lose their reactions.

I don't know about you, but I dont often find myself surrounded by more than 3 enemies at a time, unless I have a sudden deathwish.
>>
>>49926011

traps:

>elemental monk. Monks in general really but especially elemental
>berserker barbarian
>beast master ranger
>>
Question to GMs:
Do you have a "hated class"?
Class that makes you upset when one of your players pick it.
If you do, please tell why, too!
>>
So is D&D still a combat simulator?
>>
>>49926188
Thats what I was thinking, the usefulness of the concept is moving through enemies, attacking as many as possible. Not focusing fire on one guy, the swashbuckler ability helps a lot for this
>>
>>49924857
The DM should always be fully versed in the capabilities of their players, and at the very least be familiar with the limitations and power progression of the classes they play.
>>
>>49926207
Old PHB ranger. Never really upset me, per se, but I always warned them it was pretty bad. The new ranger has fixed that though (with a few tweaks).
>>
How would you guys build a gunslinger using the fighter archetype from the DM club? Rolls are 15, 13, 14, 13, 15, 16 with 170 gp to start before a background.
>>
>>49926207
Not class, but I roll my eyes whenever anyone asks me if variant human is allowed. I allowed it once in a 6 player game, and 5 players took it. Never again.

>>49926212
It always has been, but 5e gives mechanical benefit for roleplaying well (inspiration) so it makes players think about that aspect more.
>>
>>49926188
> attack separate enemies instead of focusing on 1
>>
>>49926204
>>49926173
>>49926180
Thanks, guys.
One last question: how's the 3pp scene doing? I assume 5e isn't as easy to publish for as PF?
>>
>>49926252
Actually, WotC has an in-house publishing option for 3pp in their DM Guild. Some of those options are pretty good.
>>
>>49926252
5e has an SRD that covers most of the core rules available for publishers to use, under the same license as the old 3.5e SRD (the OGL).

It also has a site dedicated to selling homebrew and adventures and such using WotC IP (like Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft) called the Dungeon Masters Guild that is fairly successful for what it does, though the quality is all over the place since anyone can post things there..
>>
>>49926156
It's fine anon, just have one of your weapons drawn at all times. Even in the middle of town. Even during that fancy dinner at the duke's. Nobody will mind.
>>
>>49926207
Not class, but variant human is just annoyingly overpowered/overpicked.

In terms of class, I don't get annoyed, but Wizards make me nervous. My experience is either they're going to be a ridiculous powerhouse or they won't know what the fuck they're doing (and be a ridiculous powerhouse)
>>
>>49926228
More like uselessness. Enemy with 1 hp is still as dangerous as the one with max hp. If you don't focus fire it down when you capable of doing so, you are not really contributing to fight.

3 Enemies with 50% hp is more dangerous than 2 with 75% hp.
>>
Would it be broken to give normal humans +2 to any 2 stats of their choice rather than their normal spread?
>>
>>49926011
Lore Bard and Necromancer Wizard are best class. Small powergap between them and the rest. Only bad classes are Berserker Barbarian, Champion Fighter, Wot4E Monk, and Ranger.
>>
How do we fix feats? I say make them every 4 levels and not have them replace ability score increases.
>>
>>49926305
On one hand, I understand why a lvl 1 feat can be overpowered and frowned upon.

On the other hand, there's a good bunch of them that enable neat gimmicks and character concepts by themselves (mounted combatant, polearms, mage slayer, etc) so it's also understandable why someone looking to play that kind of thing would go for it asap.

The problem in the end is probably the really powerful feats.
>>
>>49926357
You mean as an alternate variant? I don't really see why not.
>>
>>49926371
Buff the weaker ones like Savage Attacker and leave the progression system as-is.
>>
>>49926371
>How do we fix feats?

Wasn't aware they needed fixing. If you want to reward your players with feats just do what you want, but having them as they are now is perfectly fine.
>>
>>49926371
Nah; I just grant bonus feats at 1, 5, 11 and 17th levels and call it a day.
>>
>>49926373
IMO if you limit the top tier ones like Lucky, GWM, Sharpshooter, etc. to only be obtainable after level 1, it fixes a lot.

Let the glaive wielder take Polearm Master level 1, but don't let him take GWF.
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 663x511px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 663x511px
Will I get invited to more games on roll20 if I pretend to be a girl?
>>
>>49926371
Treat feats as beefed up Spell Scrolls that a player has to pay to train in, whether from an expert or a manual.
>>
>>49926373
Hey if you wanna get mage slayer and not be shit ask me and I'll find some homebrew buff or some shit, shouldn't be hard. Some feats make less sense to gain later but it should take 5 sessions to reach level 4 anyway so for any decent-sized campaign it's no problem.
>>
>>49926397
Oh, along with bonus feats I also cut alert, GWM, and Sharpshooter, and modified Observant.
>>
>>49926421
>Let the glaive wielder take Polearm Master level 1
wat. GWF is worse at low levels because of attack bonus and shit. PAM is better on lower level because there won't be as many things to get around it like teleports and flyby etc. and creatures will generally have 5 ft. reach which you rely on.
>>
>>49926422
I guarantee it. That doesn't mean they are good games though.
>>
>>49926371

everyone gets one feat, variant human gets two. this breaks balance a little bit but lets people build their neat character concept without being forced into variant human
>>
Which cleric domain is the most fun?
Life seems pretty boring.
>>
>>49926535
Tempest. Get Thunderclap and Shocking Grasp and go Thor on some fools.
>>
>>49926138

You do get less options and new options trickle out like molasses in February. I like it but many less mature or entitled players whine and bitch about it constantly.
>>
>>49926535

tempest, not even a contest
>>
>>49926535
I like Arcana Cleric gishes.
>>
>>49926363
> necromancer wizard
That's a weird way to spell divination wizard
>>
>>49926204
Monks are pretty fine, all they lack is higher end magical items.
>>
>>49926577
They also fixed the Ranger if you use the unearthed arcana.
>>
>>49926593
Eh, either one, depends on whether you want undead army or some reset rolls.
>>
>>49926535
i hate to sound like a broken record, but for fun? tempest
>>
>>49926598

I really want to like monks but ki is way too scarce, damage output is way too low and they suffer from the worst case of MADitis in the game
>>
>>49926535
I had an odd experience with Life Cleric, wanted to play the classic healer, barely prepped any damaging spells aside from Spirit Guardians, yet it rarely felt as if I should actually be healing people. The lower level spells quickly become useless except to get people up from death and rarely is 10 more HP going to matter.

The spells that really shine for Life Cleric are the multiple target ones, Mass Cure, Mass Healing Word since your bonus is applied to each the HP/Spell slot efficiency goes way up. But, at least in my party we rarely had multiple people get low enough in HP for it to matter, that shit targets like 5 people, even with a party of 8 people were rarely in the HP range where it would be useful to heal them.
>>
>>49926535
Death domain
>>
>>49926637
Ki is kinda scarce, but their damage isn't terrible and the MAD is mitigated by going finesse. You . . . did go finesse, right?

>>49926652
Generally speaking, it's better to prevent damage rather than heal it. This can be done by disabling foes (either by killing them or using conditions like stunning) or buffing allies (AC and temp HP, notably). I feel like the life domain should focus on the latter, but there's not a lot of temp HP options, and less on the cleric list I think.
>>
>>49926637
Ki is scare for maybe the first 5 levels, from 5-10 you kind of gotta watch out for it but after that you're pretty much golden.

Damage output only really suffers once magic items are brought to bear, and then only the higher rarity stuff. Yes, they are lower than than the Fighter but they have many, many more tricks that are impossible to math out.

As for MAD, they got Dex and Wis and then some Con if you feel like it, probably only a 14 and you can get that at chargen.
>>
>>49926652
Would my party hate me if I tried to run a pacifist Life Cleric, /tg/? Just heal/buff people while sitting in my Sanctuary with Warding Bond on, with the occasional Hold Person here and there?
>>
>>49926725

generally speaking people pretty much expect their life cleric to be a living bacta tank so not really
>>
>>49926725
Yes, they'd hate you. Go in and shove or feint an opponent if you won't attack, and when you get to near death and HAVE to fight, that's character development, free inspiration point.
>>
>>49926725
They've got plenty of buff spells you could totally do it. Their damaging spell selection is pretty shit to be honest, you're much better off buffing or healing. Let the Barbarian and the Wizard kill shit.
>>
What're some good magic item for moon druid? Apart of insignia of claw.
>>
>>49926725
He'd have to square his philosophy of not harming anything, while at the same time actively aiding his fellow party members in butchering his their mutual enemies. Sounds pretty hypocritical.
>>
File: Oath of the Sword Saint.jpg (746KB, 1735x2455px) Image search: [Google]
Oath of the Sword Saint.jpg
746KB, 1735x2455px
Balanced? Found this.
>>
>>49926879
Totally fine besides for the second channel divinity

Two weapon attacks as a bonus action? Thats silly. If it was just one itd be fine.
>>
>>49926879
Level 15 has no daily limits, effectively giving DR/Proficency or DR to AC once a round for free
>>
>>49926943
So it's a better Defensive Duelist that requires you to be level 15. Seems alright to me.
>>
>>49926602

They didn't "fix" anything yet with the ranger. They presented a possible fix for play testing and review by the player base. UA is not official content. UA is game designer home brew. Its a fix when they allow it into an official release and Adventurers League.
>>
>>49927083
Mearls has actually hinted at letting some UA content into AL stuff, specifically stuff like the ranger fix. It would probably wreak even more havoc on AL but it would benefit WotC to get way more mechanics-focused playtesting.
>>
>>49927107

In store/event AL or just the new "at Home"/public AL games?
>>
>>49927083
>>49927107
new ranger needs to be ironed out a bit

look at how fucking front loaded it is. What class wouldn't benefit massively from a dip in ranger?
>>
>>49926637

What does MAD stand for or mean? I apologize for my ignorance and thank you for explaining it to me in advance.
>>
>>49927150
Druid
>>
>>49927149
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/774288147937005568

Both?
>>
>>49927169

Multiple Ability Dependence. It's a class that requires 2-3 ability scores to not suck in order to function.

most monks are going to be running the same setup of max Dex, max Wis, and as much Con as they can muster while dumping everything else because they NEED Dex and Wis and everyone needs Con.
>>
Fighter War Cleric, using great weapons.

How'd you guys do it? I would say start Fighter, get extra attack, then MC into Cleric.

War Cleric kinda doesn't mesh super well actually but it's what I want flavor wise. Tempest could be cool to.
>>
>>49927188

The autists at AL won't like that unless they make those tables using UA a focus group and hand out pats on the head with some type of rewards for using broken content.
>>
>>49927188

So that just means AL won't be a resource that can give content "official" status anymore.
>>
>>49927169

multiple ability dependence.

monks need dex to hit and wisdom for ki-related things, plus con to, you know, not die. this means they probably can't afford a feat unless they're a variant human, and they'll likely have lower con than any other frontline class.

paladins and frontline clerics also suffer from this somewhat but they're stronger than the monk overall.

every other class just needs one offensive stat, be it martial or mental, plus constitution usually. even then wizards, sorcerers and rogues can get by with only a single strong stat.
>>
>>49926363
I'm super curious hows Necro Wizard so good? Usually I hear people say divination Wizard is the strong school.
>>
>>49925893
>>49926081
>>49926039
Would following up with 3 levels into ranger for adv on initiative, favored enemy human, and hoard breaker be worth it?
>>
>>49927314
plus hunter's mark
>>
>>49927300
You can get a lot of skellies. Enough to make killing them a series problem for anyone that isn't a caster with AoE.
>>
>>49927300
I'm gonna guess it's because your undead add your proficiency to their damage, and you can have a lot of them just sniping as your bonus action. That and they're a wall of calcium between you and anything that hates casters.
>>
Question about trickery cleric's duplicity.
It says you can cast spells as if you were in the duplicates space. I want to make sure I'm not misinterpreting that. Does that mean the cleric could cast a touch spell through the duplicate?
>>
>>49927314
You talking about the new UA Ranger?

If so, don't be that guy, new Ranger is so front loaded with abilities it's ridiculous, everyone should fucking multiclass into it. They've said a few times when they first make a class they boost them higher than they think they ought to just to make sure it's powerful enough then nerf them a bit to get in line with the other classes.
>>
File: image.png (4KB, 173x201px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
4KB, 173x201px
>>49927196
>>49927299

What do you guys think about strength based monks? There was a dude posting yesterday about how a girl in his group played a "werewolf" character by playing an unarmed monk with a level in barbarian for rage. The "werewolf" transformation was just the character popping rage.

Would a character concept like that work or fail horribly?
>>
>>49927427
I actually added back in favored terrain, so you only get the first level features (advantage with intiative, etc) within your favored terrain (and I expanded the terrain options a bit).
>>
>>49927428
It can work fine.

My question though is why does she want to be a monk and not just straight barb? Is she a weeb? It's fine if she is. I just don't understand how a monk is somehow more wolf-like than, say, a wolf totem barb.
>>
>>49927456
I think she is Barbarian with monk dip (for bonus action punch and flurry of blow)
>>
>>49927428

You need to roll, really, really well because you still need Dex and Wis for AC and DC, and all you get is a measly +2 to your damage when you use your stat that's probably going to be worse for attacking. It's not a great idea but if you roll great stats then fuck it I guess.

Other than that you'd have to talk to your DM about letting you make a few exceptions to the rules. A good one would be letting you rely more on Strength as monk or letting your unarmed attacks benefit from rage bonus even when you use Dex.

>>49927456

Maybe for the unarmed attacking? She could just take tavern brawler though.

Fuck I don't know either, to be honest.
>>
>>49927428
Why not just become an actual werewolf? Raises STR to 15 if it isn't already, makes /tg/ faun over you while claiming they aren't furry, it's a win/win situation here.
>>
>>49927456
I'm not that anon, and I've only been playing DnD for a month, but wouldn't sticking with monk be better if you wanna focus on unarmed (claw) attacks?

Also monks are chinks, how is that weeb?
>>
>>49927476
Being barbarian mean they can use CON for AC instead of WIS (or they could just wear medium armor)
>>
>>49927300

well I suppose if a necromancer spends enough time preparing and is willing to spend all his spell slots on animate dead he can quite literally control a horde of skeletons. the skeletons are quite weak individually AND he'll have to stick to cantrips for the rest of the day but it's possible that the overall damage output is larger than with any other school?

doing the math spending EVERYTHING on skeletons would get a lv20 necromancer a horde of 128 skeletons.

on average ~6 skeletons will crit on any given round, which gives us 12d6 + 48 regardless of enemy AC

then of course there's the other 122 dices. even if only 20% of them hit that's still 24 fucking skeletons hitting for 1d6 + 8.

this is all very impractical and would require spending hours rolling die but you get the idea

and of course you can cast command undead on some crazy shit
>>
>>49927488
Becauae then you are already sucking DM dick and raise a red flag, for allowing you to be special snowflake. Instead of making a character concept work within the bounary of rule like a normal people.
>>
>>49927513

also it goes without saying that the necromancer can do this *every single round* for 24 hours without spending any resource. the only real risk is AoE damage
>>
>>49927502

I guessss but then if you stick mostly to Monk your saving throw on your big ability that makes you worth while late game will suck, and if you stick to Barbarian then why not just get Tavern Brawler??
>>
>>49927498
>Also monks are chinks, how is that weeb?
just a joke, famalam

But I can see the flurry being useful to simulate a crazy claw attack, sure.
>>
>>49927570

tavern brawler damage doesn't scale up with level. the monk's unarmed damage does.
>>
>>49927570
Because you can't use bonus action to hit again with tavern brawler. That is 100% lost in damage potential.
>>
>>49927513
Don't forget the necromancer has his ability to control his level+4 hd of undead, meaning 24 more skellies.
>>
>>49927607
To be fair though, rage damage does increase as a set amount.
>>
>>49927620
At that level, they could control a mummy or lesser vampire too right?

Although I think Wizard has a better "I win the game forever" button.
>>
>>49927620
Whoops, sorry, I think I got this mixed up with something else. But you can still control any one undead you want in addition to your skele army, permanantly if it's not intelligent.
>>
>>49927620
I don't think there's anything like that in 5e. Command Undead works only on one powerful undead.

But I think he did forget that necromancers get one extra skelly per casting of animate dead, so that's... 15 more?
>>
>>49927607

But with Monk levels. And monk is so dependent on stunning strike late game that you're setting yourself up for failure by dumping Wisdom. +2 damage on 4 attacks twice a day just isn't worth losing so much.

>>49927608

In exchange for what though? You wind up losing 40 HP, +2 to all your hits and damage, +2 to AC, and delay your rage progression.
>>
>>49927662
So 15 extra skellies and one dragon zombie or something.
>>
>>49927673
> He think people actually get to level 20
Hahahahahaha. You just start buildcrafting didn't you?
>>
>>49927699
Maybe a Mummy Lord? That way you can get even more skellies since the Mummy Lord would know animate dead too, and it's stupid enough that it's possible to control it permanently.
>>
>>49927662

No, animate dead is either raise a new skelly or assert your control over 4 skellies you already had.

On the other hand: mummy lords can be permanently Commanded and they can cast animate dead, too.

So I guess you can raise 128 skeletons and Command a Mummy Lord, who can, in turn, raise another 56 skeletons. That's 184 skeletons ... and one Mummy Lord.
>>
>>49927737

Might as well plan for the future. If you do wind up getting to level 20 you're going to be sad you didn't get all that other badass shit in exchange for another shitty 1d4.

I just don't think it's worth it. Even if you don't look at level 20 it still delays you getting rage damage bonuses, more rages, as well as a lot of the neato totem bonuses you get like flying speeds and what not. I'm fine dealing one less d4 a turn. Grappling is an awesome condition to put someone in anyways, I think I'd rather do that.
>>
>>49927737
>that feel when you'll never be able to play any of your clever builds from 1-20
>>
>>49927787
>>49927787
>>49927787
>>49927787
>>49927787

New session thread, gents
>>
shit now I really really want to play necro. realistically how many skeletons could I get away with before the DM decides it's too many?
>>
>>49927767
Doesn't this require you to come across a mummy lord in the first place?
>>
>>49926004

>Dual wielding: dual wielding weapons doesn't a require a bonus action to make an offhand attack.

What happens when the Fighter / Ranger becomes Level 5 and Extra Attack comes into play?
>>
>>49927767
So the "target one additional corpse" feature works only when you're raising them? I assumed it would work when asserting too.
>>
>>49927768
> Grappling
> awesome
You still stuck in 3.5e or something?
>>
>>49927800
They attack, extra attack, and if they attacked with a light weapon they can use another light weapon they're holding to make an offhand attack. It still lacks a good feat though I haven't actually tested it so could still be horribly OP.
>>
>>49927768
You know what is the best plan for level 20? Kill that barbarian and reroll a wizard instead.
>>
>>49927767
>>49927803

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/12/05/undead-thralls/

>The Undead Thralls feature has no effect on the number of undead controlled.

Well, okay, I guess it doesn't.
>>
>>49927819

Giving advantage to everyone trying to hit whatever you're strangle holding doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
>>
>>49927768
1d4 + str + rage damage bro.
>>
>>49927768
How would you make a werewolf character then?

No "I wouldn't" cop outs either, what would you do to make a werewolf flavored character?

Theoretically you could just go straight barb and be a wolf totem warrior, but using weapons as a werewolf just doesn't seem right. If I'm playing a werewolf I wanna claw at people.
>>
>>49926397

What about Fighters and Rogues who get extra feats?
>>
>>49927875
Unaffected. Everyone gets those bonus feats at character level, rather than class level.
>>
>>49927868
Remove barb's rage damage, add in the monk's martial arts and unarmed damage, but make the following changes:

1. slashing damage since you're clawing shit
2. only works with unarmed attacks, no mixing in weapon strikes
3. only functions while raging
>>
I chose Illusion Wizard before I really looked ahead and now I see Illusion might be the worst school for a wizard

What cool shit can I do as an illusionist?
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 604x453px
>>49928002
Wouldn't rage and martial arts damage stack? A monk can choose to use between strength or dex. If you just focus on strength, you can gain all the benefits of rage just fine, no?

You only really need the one level in barb. It gives the werewolf flavor, and monk level 20 is pretty underwhelming, assuming you even reach level 20 in the first place.

I don't see how monk+barb could ever clash, it seems like natural synergy. Then again, I'm still fairly new to this whole thing.
>>
>>49928219
Illusions can be incredibly useful, but only if your DM plays along.

One trick is to use the cantrip to create an illusion wall between you and your enemy so you can run away without getting hit. Or a box around you. Or a box around the enemy. But I'm not sure how long most DMs will put up with shit like that.
>>
>>49926457
The -5 is so laughable considering most things you need to fight at low levels have 12 or less AC and that the weapon die+13 damage is usually enough to kill them outright.
Thread posts: 433
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.