[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 142
Thread images: 26

Been waiting for one yesterday all day - edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

>Last threads
>>49734993
>>49806303
>>
File: Fallen Frontiers_Sihlas.jpg (38KB, 720x243px) Image search: [Google]
Fallen Frontiers_Sihlas.jpg
38KB, 720x243px
Was looking through my tabletop rules folder and found the Fallen Frontiers rules.

The gameplay sounds really cool with the card and streamlines unit profiles.
I imagine it could be a quick game but still very tactical.

Anybody know what the finished rules are like?
>>
File: Cheesy.jpg (36KB, 303x351px) Image search: [Google]
Cheesy.jpg
36KB, 303x351px
>>49899970
>Cat soldiers

Why do cat soldiers seem so much more ridiculous than any other species?
>>
File: alkemy khaliman_01.jpg (89KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
alkemy khaliman_01.jpg
89KB, 640x480px
>>49900263
I guess your first association with cats is not of a trainable or disciplined character?

Still look cool though.

They're 15mm so they would make the cutest attack troops or familiars in 28mm though.
>>
>>49900263
ASLAN VS VARGR

FIGHT

>aslan screams and leaps, vargr shoots them with a PGVP, loots everything, and leaves to rejoin their pack
>>
>>49900026
you can find the finished rules for free on the website, but IMHO they are pretty bad

poorly translated, full of holes and missing information, and overall just not well designed

just because you played 5 cards and had to look up 3 charts doesn't make your game have any more depth
>>
File: IMAG0583.jpg (757KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0583.jpg
757KB, 1344x760px
>http://www.spartangames.co.uk/the-spartan-games-survey

Spartan games surprised when the survey says they should stop releasing new games and actually support shit they already have.
>>
Song of Blades and Heroes then.

What's a decent pair of intro game warbands? What works for an interesting game?

Are ranged weapons completely OP like Frostgrave? What mixture of Quality? Should I put a big guy on each side?
>>
>>49902331
> Range weapons OP
Seriously, stop playing with critical rules and start using callstorm, fog and other terrain spells
>>
>>49902331
>Are ranged weapons completely OP like Frostgrave?
You need lots of scenery. The rulebook even tells you this repeatedly.

Yet I see this brought up so often it's like people don't even read the rules of the games they criticize.
The game was developed to be played on a table filled with scenery, the setting is a ruined city, there are spells that let you walk through walls or leap over them. How come people have such a hard time to understand such a simple thing that is explicitly spelled out for them?
>>
>>49903183
A lot of people do use lots of scenery... and set up a nice box of death around an open middle ground, or something else that makes it trivial to put archers in cover and force the opponent to run through the open to do anything.

Think of the classic 40K game where both players have heavy fortifications in their deployment zone and glare at each other across an empty field.
>>
>>49903183
We used lots of terrain.

Two archers one shot two of my thugs and put two arrows to the back of my wizard.
>>
>>49903212
well that's hardly the game's rule's fault then.
If you play a skirmisher set in the ruins of a city and build fortifications on both halves of the table that's obviously gonna be an issue.

Did Mordheim have the same issue? I mean collecting treasure or warpstone is basically the same, the setting is similar etc. Did people set up terrain like this too? cause I never heard of issues with the meta concerning setting up scenery for Mordheim.

Had some issues with sling spam in skaven warbands though iirc.
>>
>>49903260
Yeah, it's a pretty common thing. People build nice open areas with cover around them, stick the objective in there, and...

Well, Mordheim doesn't do well with tons of archers, and bad terrain certainly doesn't help. 1/3 ranged max was always a common house rule for Mordheim.
>>
>>49903260
On Mordheim there was some isues of shooty factions like dwars or elves being a bit OP
>>
>>49903388
>Dwarf
>OP

haha
>>
>>49903388
Weren't Skaven always and ever the absolute top rats, because of cheap replacements, slings on everyone and high movementspeed?
>>
Are there any blogs for making terrain for frostgrave? I have to bite the bullet and build terrain for my group
>>
>>49904071
check out the lead adventure forums. there are a few wip threads and plogs there.
>>
Does anybody got the new TNT book PDF?
>>
>>49901373
And it's a shame they have such ADD. Firestorm is a solid enough system, and Planetfall is pretty good too. I rememver DW being fun(if a bit wonky) when I played when it first came out.

They just need to slow the fuck down. If they're going to kickstart anything it should be a re-launch of Uncharted Seas.
>>
>>49902331
To start out with SoBH, I'd try and just pick two warbands with pretty simple stats and a Leader each.
Say:
q 3+ c 3 Leader
2 x q 3+ c 3 Elite Soldier
3 x q 4+ c 2 Levy
1 x q 4+ c 4 Heavy

Mix it a bit around if you want asymetrical warbands and keep it somewhat simple to start out with, even though its tempting to just toss a million traits on to everything.

Shooting can be strong, but you need to invest into it. Not something that completely dominates games in the same way as frostgrave.
>>
>>49905073
I've only got the KS supplements. I should have a physical book on the way though.
>>
File: 1320478140982.png (28KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1320478140982.png
28KB, 500x500px
What do you guys think about this?:
A man to man game were instead of choosing your troops from an army list you can configure them like in an RPG downright to race, skills and equipment
>>
>>49905670
So basically a wargame where you have to make your own armylist/the armylist is "one guy plus whatever you want"?

I'm looking for something like that, Rack&Ruin looks something like that as well as Bladestorm.
>>
>>49905670
Sounds like a balancing nightmare.
>>
You know what game looks awesome but sadly has zero playerbase here in Utah?

Bushido.

That shit looks baller.
>>
>>49905670
That would be awesome for multiplayer games
>>
>>49905670
I personally don't find combat in RPGs to be very fun but that's a matter of taste.
>>
>>49905912
There's plenty of games, mostly historical, with no "balancing" because they're intended to be..well,historical, and no battle in history was balanced.
>>
>>49906183
>Let's play Blitzkrieg! Who wants to be steamrolled as the French?

There's a reason for points systems. Scenarios with pre-made armies that doesn't match up pointswise are fun too, but each to its own.
>>
>>49906233
There's been plenty of resistance in the French campaign. Points are turning a war-game into chess, and stripping any sort of realism. Fine for sf or fantasy, downright abominable for historical games.
>>
>>49906265
>Points are turning a war-game into chess
>why would I get eight pawns if I can buy a bastion instead?
>>
>>49906233
>Who wants to be steamrolled as the French?

>Who wants to try to do it better than the French in RL
>Who wants to try to do it better than the Germans in 44.

Fixed it for you. Stuff like this can be incredibly fun but for pickup games in a store with "strangers" a point system is obviously the better choice.
>>
>>49906429
>Stuff like this can be incredibly fun but for pickup games in a store with "strangers" a point system is obviously the better choice.
QFT, scenarios are top fun but you kinda have to have a dedicated friend group or club to play them in
>>
>>49906265
>Realism
>Wargame

I'm here to have a fun time playing a fun GAME, not to count rivets. Lopsided scenarios are fine and dandy, but most of the time I'd like my warGAME to be fair and balanced, because it facilitates fun.
>>
>>49907914
I'm right there with you. I'm willing to sacrifice 100% realism for the sake of a fun game with solid rules.

A good few historical games are geared more towards the "EVERYTHING MUST BE EXACTLY LIKE IT WAS THEN OR THE GAME IS GARBAGE" crowd, which makes the games tedious and boring.
>>
>>49908221
Name them pls.

I want to see what this actually looks like because I've never encountered such a game before.
>>
>>49905986
I'm not a fan of the chart system they use for attacks.
>>
>>49908323
Naval games are the ones I've noticed most for it. Very particular about how ships turn and everything. I get big ships will turn slower than small ships, but some of them make it seem like you need a compass and protractor to figure out how things move.
>>
>>49909314
I get that.

It's one of the only games that chart heavy I've ever had interest in.
>>
>>49909314

>year of our lord 2016
>using charts to resolve combat

Madness.
>>
>>49909673
Naval games are super niche, hardly anyone plays them evenwhen counted alongside whole groups of stuff that hardly anyone plays.
>>
File: DSC_5930-1024x512.jpg (174KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_5930-1024x512.jpg
174KB, 1024x512px
So Guild Ball anyone? It's pretty nifty Blood Bowl meets Warmachine game with a small soccer teams (5 players + mascot)
>>
>>49908221
>which makes the games tedious and boring.

As opposed to perfectly matched armies? If you win impossible odds, it gives you far more satisfaction that "essentially, if the game is balanced, we both had 50% chance of victory, so yay me" that point costs give you.
>>
File: 1304808888485.jpg (14KB, 205x170px) Image search: [Google]
1304808888485.jpg
14KB, 205x170px
>>49905704
>make your own armylist/the armylist is "one guy plus whatever you want"?
Exactly

>>49905912
I know, it'll require lots of play testing

>>49906088
It will be like in an arena shooter, all honest just want to make a tabletop Unreal Tournament
>>
File: guild ball 2.jpg (59KB, 640x292px) Image search: [Google]
guild ball 2.jpg
59KB, 640x292px
>>49909900
>>
File: Butchers-Studio-Paint.jpg (712KB, 2538x1173px) Image search: [Google]
Butchers-Studio-Paint.jpg
712KB, 2538x1173px
>>49910477
>>
>>49909900
I adore Guild Ball's models, I adore the rules, and I adore the fluff.
I don't adore that the pundit for my area won't fucking play the game or introduce others.
I'm the only one round here who plays, and I want an excuse to get more than one team :(
>>
File: IMGP5890.jpg (528KB, 1600x1197px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP5890.jpg
528KB, 1600x1197px
>>49910784
Teach other to play yourself. You can print a paper stands from their site and play with it a few demo games.

My local gaming group started playing with just this free stuff. We have like 10 players, some of them with more than one team and we're spreading the word to other cities as well and more and more players join Guild Ball country-wide. Cards are available to download for free as well.

Models are great, easy to see online or live (you said you have them).
Rules are great, easy to test with all the stuff being free.
>>
>>49910784
>I want an excuse to get more than one team :(
Uhhhhh
Isn't the BEST excuse "so I can introduce the game to others and play with them without them having to get their own team right away"?
>>
>>49910234
Armies are never "perfectly" matched, though.

If I play FoW with my Italians vs. say Brits the Brits will have a rather large advantage even though we were given the same points to use.

Not saying point free, one off, scenario fights can't be fun, they can be an absolute blast, but I still want the rules of the game to be fun and functional. I'm not here for a perfect 1:1 recreation of actual history; I'm here to roll some dice with my buddies and play with toy soldiers.
>>
>>49911508
There's also the terrain aspect, even with supposedly 'fair' methods of setting it up, if one side has an ability to deal with a terrain type that's deployed that the other lacks, well, there's something really hard for points to account for.

Though there are some decent generalist points systems that don't try to give a too-precise reading. I prefer those unless the points system is fine in detail but large in number. FFoT for example has a reasonably good points system, very fine in detail but the fine detail is all mechanical not arbitrarily assigned, and quality of troops/crews is a major arbiter. Took multiple editions and years of review and masses of spreadsheets and calculations to arrive at though, most developers don't try nearly that hard to get a points system.
>>
Can anyone recommend a cheap tablet that will be used strictly for PDFs of rulebooks?
>>
>>49909692
I'll have to give it a second chance. Those Tengu, Savage Wave, and Cult of Yurei are sexy as hell.
>>
>>49913474
Very true.

And some games get by without points systems. MERCS, for example. In a standard game you get to pick 5 models(6 if you're EIC) to make up your team with no repeats. That's it. No points, no math, just a simple "pick some dudes without having any repeats" and you go. The balance there is in the models you pick.

>>49914034
I quite like the new Jung Pirates, Silvermoon and Prefecture myself.
>>
>>49913686

Depends where you are.
>>
>>49911080
Quite possibly...
>>49910935
My local group exclusively play WM/H. They refuse to play anything else. Most of them own Malifaux, several own Infinity, and there's a few with Bolt Action and X-Wing.
I've not seen another game played in months.
>>
>>49915984
My local group played exclusively WM/H. With this whole waiting for MkIII they weren't really playing WM/H so the found Guild Ball. Mechanic is very similar in lots of way. There are skills that are copy-paste WM/H skills with just a different name.

Also the entry point is really cheap, and full blown games aren't expensive as well. All you need is 6 models.
>>
>>49900263
Because feline features look stupid on a primate bone structure and always will.
>>
>>49916069
Agreed on all points, but sadly my group just don't move. It's pretty annoying to be honest, I HATE the WAAC playstyle of WM/H with a passion. When I game I don't game to win, I game to have a laugh and try fun things with my lists.
>>
>>49916435
>When I game I don't game to win, I game to have a laugh and try fun things with my lists.
This is the best attitude, but you have to know it's rare.
>>
>>49916440
Indeed. I can't deny that winning is fun, but as long as you don't just absolutely hammer opponents when doing so it's usually enjoyable. Sadly, WM/H is set up where a single poor roll or misjudged activation order can just ruin a game, and there are some list choices that are auto-win, and some that are impossible to play against others. At least with other games you get to do things before dying horribly.
>>
>>49916435
>When I game I don't game to win, I game to have a laugh and try fun things with my lists.
So do I but when everyone around is using lists like bunny spam with Mercs or eCain or Butcher with 12 Mad Dogs you can't play a list just for fun because at such powergap between lists the game is not fun for anyone.
>>
>>49916824

Warmachine always felt to me as being a game players played at each other not with each other if that makes sense.

Malifaux has the same issue to a certain degree, you just get the feeling that someone is just going to do something in their turn and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>49917107
Kind of why I like Bolt Action and Infinity so much; it's pretty much always your turn.
>>
>>49902331
Ranged is shit in SoBaH. You need a good amount of them to make them worthwile.
>>
>>49905670
GURPS exists, friend.
>>
>>49906265
Even if you like historical scenarios built by placing down what was there onto the table, points are a useful tool for gauging scenarios and setting objectives without playtesting a scenario a dozen times or having literally decades of experience backing your gut feelings. They're not perfect and should often be handwaved or disregarded, but they're a tool.

They're also handy for fun impromptu pick-up games, yes.
>>
>>49918195
>suggesting GURPS
>ever
Get the fuck off tiggy, friend.
>>
So is anyone else looking forward ro Blood And Plunder? The models look amazing, although I feel like a few of the sets get reused between factions a bit too much.

I get it, though. Small company, easier for them
>>
>>49919323
28mm pirate ships are a bad idea imho. Plus metal minis on Kickstarter. A big hearty "meh" from my part desu.
>>
>>49920625
Them being metal doesn't bother me if they look that good.

You can play without ships.
>>
File: DSCF4208.jpg (1MB, 2296x2324px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4208.jpg
1MB, 2296x2324px
Well, there's a chance that me and a friend will run a demo of Anvil Industry's Afterlife at the local Games Day in December. I only have the stuff from the first KS, unpainted apart from two Republic exosuits, which is nice, since I'll provide the Unity Council army.

I'll shill for a while as the minis are really nice, and from the single game we played many moons ago, the rules were solid. Wish they'd put more effort into making it a bit more widespread, and add another faction or two, maybe.

I painted the green one after it arrived, and the other some months ago. I think I'll re-paint the first one to have a more camouflaged look, even tho I kinda like it as it is.
>>
Man, sci-fi skirmish games seem to be a dime a dozen these days.
>>
>>49922747
Have been for a while, they're cheap to set up for, easy to make appealing due to limited model ranges, costs can easily be covered by a kickstarter with decent marketing...
>>
>>49922896
My only problem is that most of them feel a bit bland. Kind of like the modern/near-future military shooter trend in video games; even if you like it, it seems the market is over-saturated.
>>
>>49909900
Only have paper models now. Got two friends playing it so far and trying to recruit more. Getting the starter set next month. I was planing on Masons as my main. Grab Chisel with the starter. Really liked how she played.
>>
>>49919323
Oh fuck, those ships look great tb h

Can't help it, it's a tic at this point for me to analyze models that way, but a few of these would be great for Mordheim.
>>
>>49922952
Have you looked into MERCS? Near future, unique rules and pretty nice models.

I also quite enjoy the fluff, myself.
>>
>>49923751
I'd say that MERCS also falls into what I'm talking about. Really, its an overabundance of space marine types. And while GW's Marines fall into it, what I really mean is elite trained troops with the best gear available, usually in the form of power armor and specialty guns.

Its not a bad trope, guilty of using it myself. In my designs, only thing that makes my space marine guys stick out from the sea of other ones out there is that I'm going for a more Teutonic/Templar looking power armor than modern military. But its still an overabundance, especially since a lot share very similar design silhouettes. Despite my many grievances with them, I'll give GW one thing, they are very good at designs that say "I am part of this army" just at a glance. Dark Age is also good at it. Even a number of their subfactions stand out easily.
>>
File: casualtiesofwar.jpg (86KB, 584x756px) Image search: [Google]
casualtiesofwar.jpg
86KB, 584x756px
>>49899970
>Alternative Wargames
I'm all about Second Edition Warzone. Blood Berets [The board game, not the unit. Trenchers and Regulars for life] and Incursion. Incursion is great fun.
Pic related, an Imperial Trencher with his Sergeant and other Regulars.
>>
File: Bauhaus.jpg (362KB, 959x1193px) Image search: [Google]
Bauhaus.jpg
362KB, 959x1193px
>>49925991

Same here. But truly noble Bauhaus is the on true Megacorp.
>>
File: inquisiteur.jpg (198KB, 535x721px) Image search: [Google]
inquisiteur.jpg
198KB, 535x721px
>>49925991
>>49926362
>denying the light and glory of the Brotherhood
pls heretics
>>
File: YKr9X.jpg (74KB, 492x767px) Image search: [Google]
YKr9X.jpg
74KB, 492x767px
>>49926362
BAUHAUS A SHIT.
For real though why are you Militia so much better than our standing Regulars, some serious horseshit right there.
>>
>>49926444
You pack that in.

>>49926503
Warzone Resurrection is true shit. Leave Bauhaus alone.
>>
>>49925221
I feel like the MERCS stuff is far enough away from standard power armored marines to not feel like the same old rehashed(although it does have some points that are). I also feel like the factions look different enough without looking silly.

>>49926503
Because Bauhaus has bettwr training and weapons. Just accept it.

>>49926543
I quite like Ressurection.

Also Bauhaus has always had the best line troops; it's part of who they are.
>>
File: Senza titolo-3 copia.jpg (189KB, 576x726px) Image search: [Google]
Senza titolo-3 copia.jpg
189KB, 576x726px
>>49926645
>Just accept it.
Fat chance.
I want my drug dealing gas mask, not good training.
>>
>>49926675
And that's why you never learned to avoid bullets.

Also let's be fair: Bauahus gets the coolest shit. Vulkans, Grizzlies, Juggernaut armor the list goes on.
>>
File: Trenchers (2).jpg (136KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Trenchers (2).jpg
136KB, 1200x800px
>>49926721
>Bauahus gets the coolest shit
You're literally killing me. I need grimderp, it's my sole source of sustenance. This is cool shit. Bauhaus, are a shit.
>>
>>49926543

Res is pretty sweet. It ain't perfect but it's a good game with a lot of great models (And some bad ones too, but they've resculpted most of those)
>>
File: pic57091.jpg (339KB, 1275x1647px) Image search: [Google]
pic57091.jpg
339KB, 1275x1647px
>>49926771
THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD
Don't let this thread die while I'm at work.
>>
>>49926503
Wait, what's so much better about them? I haven't managed to grok the rules yet to the point where I can just see it in their stats I guess.
>>
File: Brotherhood-Propaganda.jpg (69KB, 426x632px) Image search: [Google]
Brotherhood-Propaganda.jpg
69KB, 426x632px
>>49926543
>You pack that in.
>>
>>49926845
Not him, but I know his pain from the 80 miniature starter from 2nd Ed.
Bauhaus have better base stats as Militia and they get generally better weapons.
Compare Ducal Militia pg15 to Imperial Regulars pg31
http://www.mutantpedia.com/WARZONE/Warzone%202Ed%20-%20The%20Forces%20of%20War.pdf

Also, all the stuff you need is here.

http://www.mutantpedia.com/eng/Warzone.html
>>
>>49926922
muh dick
>>
>>49926922
Oh, you're talking about the old rules.
>>
>>49909900
That sounds awesome. I need to look into that.
>>
>>49927013
I prefer them mostly because of the accompanying artworks. Fuggen pauldrons everywhere.
>>
>>49913686
get an ebook reader instead. its batteries last way longer than the tablets.
>>
>>49920625
>28mm pirate ships are a bad idea imho

Why?
>>
>>49930240
The same reason wargaming in 1:35 is a bad idea. You can't play it comfortably on a reasonably sized table.
>>
>>49930253
but 28mm is an established scale for all kinds of wargaming. And i don't see how boarding actions between small pirate ships won't work in it.
>>
>>49930273
Because even small pirate ships are fucking big.
>>
>>49930284
Not really.

What they show here is probably not able to carry 20 based minis.

It looks as big as a bigger 40k tank.
>>
File: P6154399.jpg (166KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P6154399.jpg
166KB, 1024x768px
>>49930284
>>49930253

lol at the peasant who will never enjoy the glories of a full 28mm pirate clash
>>
Wow, I'm so happy to see Mutant Chronicles and Warzone getting semi-regular posts on /tg/. This is awesome.

Resurrection is a shit though. Feels too tourny for me.
>>
>>49930273
>but 28mm is an established scale for all kinds of wargaming
so is 15mm
>>
So Star Saga ended. Who got in?
>>
>>49927013
You mean, the good rules.
>>
>>49933429
You seem informed, would you mind giving a rundown of the differences and why the old rules, in your opinion, are better?

In the last thread, people were praising the Resurrection rules, so it'd be cool to have a comparison.
>>
>>49930324
1st Ed allowed for some great Kill Team-esque gameplay thanks to being able to purchase gear and equipment for your forces. Oh the joy of 1pt Bayonets.
2nd Ed is, in my opinion, the best and quickest skirmish war game.

If each player takes 2 teams of 10 with 1 Sergeant each.
Split each 10 man team into four 2 man fire teams. Put one specialist, a soldier and a sergeant in a fire team of their own.

Bam, an awesome quick skirmish game with minimal nonsense
>>
>>49933518
Sorry friendo, I haven't got the time.
Here's the Resurrection rules http://warzonegame.com/images/wzrv1_1rules.pdf

And here's the 1st and 2nd Ed rules. It won't tale long to compare them.

>1st http://www.mutantpedia.com/WARZONE/Mutant%20Chronicles%20WarZone%20-%20Rulebook.pdf

>2nd http://www.mutantpedia.com/WARZONE/Warzone%202Ed%20-%20The%20Rules%20of%20War.pdf
>>
>>49930273
But rhat doesn't make it the best scale for everything. 40k is a great example of a game at the wrong scale. It wants these big, epic, battles with fiant mechs and fliers and tanks all over the place but 28mm just doesn't do that well.

I'm still excited for Blood And Plunder because the induatry seems to lack good pirate games, but if I start playing I'll stick to land battles except for rare auper games with a huge table that can dit two ships comfortably.

>>49930324
>Feels too tourny
What does this mean? Because it's streamlined? I love 2nd edition, don'r get me wrong, but some shot was way too clunky and Resurrection plays pretty damn quick.

To each their own, though.
>>
>>49934374
>because the induatry seems to lack good pirate games

>What is Freebooters Fate

Its awesome. Look it up. (Its 28mm too though)
>>
>>49930297
That's not a remotely realistically-sized pirate ship though. Fucking thing's tiny. Pirate babbysloop, maybe.
>>
>>49934665
I think you overestimate the size of real pirate ships by alot.
>>
>>49934685
That's a small ship.

I mean, I'd play pirates in 28mm with that ship, but then I am more than happy to play all kinds of shit in 28mm. I once played a small game of Epic in 28mm. Combat squads blu-tacked down to CDs quickly painted to mark their force more obviously (because some of the minis my mates had were unpainted) - ultramarines were blue discs with a white ultramarine symbol tip-exd on, the guard forces we had were green, the three ork armies we combined to run the game were given CDs coloured based on their clan (iirc black goffs, blue, red and yellow (they weren't single-clan armies, of course)).

It was a clusterfuck, but a lot faster, cooler, and more fun than Apocalypse ever was.
>>
File: warzone.jpg (74KB, 960x349px) Image search: [Google]
warzone.jpg
74KB, 960x349px
>>49933518
Older Warzone wasn't full of editing errors, misplaced rules and didn't have erratas and rule modifications every month so your rulebook was pretty much outdated the minute you placed your order. It didn't have a trading card system (which is not bad IMHO) that made you trash all your cards because new edition. It had all the units in one book, not an army list that got updated with every new release. Ultimate Warzone is the most comprehensive edition as the guy who wrote it (it was only one guy who did the whole book) made sure that literally EVERY Warzone figure EVER got its own rules. No "base your heroes differently because fuck it, why not" (although the 30mm lipped bases look really neat).

Also, Paul Bonner, and not reused Paul Bonner.
>>
>>49935539
>trading card system
Wait, what?
>>
>>49935752
Every box has/had some cards in it with stuff specific to them. Gear, tactics, etc. And then a megadeck for every corporation that was expensive and with the new edition it's fucking useless.
>>
>>49917107
>Warmachine always felt to me as being a game players played at each other not with each other
Yup.

>>49917107
>Malifaux has the same issue to a certain degree,
Really?
I've never felt like that - there's always interactions, from the flipping and cheating to various defensive triggers, and the whole game is figuring out how much you can spend spoiling their Rube-Goldberg without interfering too heavily with your own.
>>
>>49935831
Wut

Okay, that definitely sounds like a shit decision, I didn't even realize there had been a second edition of Resurrection. I didn't even think they'd released minis for their whole line yet -- didn't see a Keeper of the Art, for instance. I just assumed they were just coming out of Kickstarter.
>>
>>49936013

The card system wasn't great. It wasn't collectible per say since the megadeck covered everything but there was a period where you couldn't get all the cards. Now they have the cards but you buy one deck and that's it period so it's fine as you don't have to go chasing rares or some shit.

>>49935539
I don't understand the issue with getting new units rules released when a new unit is released. Free updates seems like he best system possible. I mean growing the game and getting out the content fast and free seems great to me.

Any ways I'm definitely of the opinion that Warzone Res is fantastic and some bad editing won't stop me from playing it. If it did I wouldn't play a lot of tabletop games, it's a rather endemic problem.
>>
What's the general consensus of big monsters in small skirmish-style game?
>>
>>49936755
I'm not a general of the consensus forces, but I like it when you can just about afford/are restricted to one big showpiece and it's not obviously superior so you just curbstomp the other guy with the footsoldiers (stuff should be pointed to prevent that). One Grizzly or a Pretorian Behemoth, to use Warzone as an example. If the other guy can afford like 25 regulars with an anti-tank weapon per five guys, why not? Sure, he'll have to play tactically, dispersing them from the million guns on the Grizzly and using cover and so on, but why not? That's what I think of as fun, tactics aren't a chore in a wargame.
>>
>>49936919
Adding: it even makes a lot of sense as a basic skirmish scenario. "We've got information that this tank is coming down by this route to reinforce their guys at A, we're sending you guys out to intercept and blow it up before it can get there."
>>
>>49936919
>>49936977
I'm working on a fantasy skirmish game, and so far, each faction has some kind of big beasty, because honestly, I like big beasties. But I don't want it to hurt the feel of a small scale game.

At this point, I'm more worried about the economy of actions hurting the big stuff than it steamrolling, similar to the issues Warmahordes has had.
>>
>>49937516
Well, to circumvent action economy stuff you can just give it "full attack" action that lets it use each of its attacks/weapons/whatever even if normally it takes one action to use one weapon.

>Warzone Resurrection example again
Normal units have 2 action points to spend, vehicles have 3. Vehicles can either fire one gun for 1 AP or all guns for 2 AP. A Grizzly Battle tank has... I think eleven guns, most of which have a higher-than-1 rate of fire. So as long as you don't want to drive around too much, you can pour out a fucking _avalanche_ of gunfire (and the tank's costed accordingly). I won't _swear_ it's balanced, but it seems fine. You could try something similar.
>>
>>49937937
I've got a similar system in place. Right now, models get 2 AP, except things like monsters and heroes. Monsters get access to a Sweep attack, which let's them make a slightly less powerful hit against everyone in range for 2 AP, and both monsters and cavalry can Trample for 2 AP, which is a move that let's the model pass over smaller ones, and make a less power attack against any models they pass.
>>
>>49909900
Just had my first game of guildball with paper models because of people talking about it in another thread. Really fast to pick up, most fun I've had with a mini game in long time. Definitely grabbing the 2 player starter box when it comes out so I can showpeople how to play. Also really curious for the blacksmiths but no date on that yet I think.
>>
File: bikers.jpg (615KB, 800x783px) Image search: [Google]
bikers.jpg
615KB, 800x783px
>>
>>49935539
>Editing errors
Welcome to tabletop gaming. No book is perfect. I'm sure I could find some editing issues in my old books. At least Prodos is willing to accepr when they mess up and try to fix things.

>Erratas
Again; welcome to gaming. In this day and age companies can update and fix stuff for FREE instead of doing whole new books. Now yes Res got a new book, but that was to consolodate all the rules fixes and current units into one book.

>Trading card
The cards weren't perfectly implimented, but to call them trading cards just because they tried to add something new and interesting to a game(how fucking dare they) is a misnomer.

Is Res perfect? Hell no, but no game is. I've read enough rulebooks to know this, but I also know a fun game when I play one. Res, even with its problems, is a fun game with a solid enough set of core mechanics.

>>49934401
Freebooter is great, although tough to get here in the States.
>>
>>49936755
I'm fine with them. My brother and I played a small Kill Team game recently. He killed a dreadnought by leaping from one roof to the other and cracking off a plasma shot mid air, nailing it in the rear armour.
We home-brewed a rule for shooting in the air.
2d6 less than 4 to hit. Normal weapon constraints apply after that.

Other than that, I think it's fine if the opponent has a reasonable chance of killing the target. I would say at least one heavy weapon per 5 men.
>>
>>49940253
>2d6 less than 4 to hit. Normal weapon constraints apply after that.
How does movement factor into it?
>>
>>49940507
General movement? Well you could tinker with that yourself, but for convenience and game speed we just roll for it before movement.

>Plan the jump by measuring the distance.
>There's 1 inch to the edge.
>Gap is 5 inches.
>You need a 6 to move one 1 and jump 5 inches.
>1d6
>you roll a 4.
>Character judges the gap as being too far to jump, and so you begin normal movement.

It's not perfect but it works well enough for casual fun.
>>
Hi. I'm putting together a Clash On The Fringe/Five Parsecs From Home campaign with some people, but due to space constraints we don't have a traditional game table.

So I got a big sheet of steel and spray painted it. One side is grey urban and the other is redish scrubland for mars as the wild west, and we're using magnets and counters.

But I don't have enough terrain. Currently I'm planning on printing out stuff on decent card, but I'm lacking resources. Anyone have ideas of where to look for top-down printable terrain? Most of the stuff I've found so far is 3-d paper terrain.
>>
File: pic2800680_lg.jpg (247KB, 1024x765px) Image search: [Google]
pic2800680_lg.jpg
247KB, 1024x765px
Guys, can you give me some names of boardgames which I might pick up cheap miniatures from, in a similar fashion to Heroquest?

I have Heroquest itself and I know there's GW stuff from a similar era like Battle Masters and Warhammer Quest.

I got some stuff from MB's Dark World, and also some bits from the D&D Fantasy Adventure Board Game. There's a whole pile of D&D games though along with the fairly expensive actual miniatures range, not sure what to look for in them.

Or maybe any Heroclix-type collectible games.
>>
>>49941084
>Dark World
Holy fuck, I've been trying to remember the name of that game for years.
>>
>>49941084
Are you UK? These guys are cheap as chips from what I can tell.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HeroQuest-Single-Figures-For-Sale-Including-Expansions-Hero-Quest-Warhammer-MB-/221230411671?var=&hash=item33825c2f97:m:mnyMkOT8vYQ0lr8M-NGS8zg
>>
>>49941163

It looks cool, like part-Heroquest, part-Mouse Trap.

The heroes have these big open hands, since apparently in the game you could swap their weapons and get shiny gold ones and shit. So I need to find some oversized weapons
>>
>>49941295
>So I need to find some oversized weapons
reaper does several sprues with weapons, hf has a bunch of stuff in their conversion range as well.
If you mean oversized, oversized you could also look into playmobile weapons. Or the AoS stuff.
Those should be huge next to a regular mini.
Thread posts: 142
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.