[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 51

>oops
edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

>Last thread
>>49734993
>>
File: Capture[1].jpg (34KB, 742x293px) Image search: [Google]
Capture[1].jpg
34KB, 742x293px
So has anybody leaked This Is Not A Test? I would like and am planning to buy the book, but the PDF is a bit expensive to purchase as well.
>>
>>49806373
I got a copy. I'll post it when I get home.
>>
>>49806373
>>49806637
Oh, its already up in the Novice Trove. Never mind.
>>
>>49806983
Oops, glanced over it, but should have looked more closely
>>
>>49806983
It's the previous edition tho.

>>49806303
Someone else made OP, thanks famalamadingdong.
>>
File: IMAG0607.jpg (647KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0607.jpg
647KB, 1344x760px
Polish arty, one down, two to go.
>>
>>49809422
Looking cute.
>>
>>49809726
It's poland, have you SEEN their irl tankettes? They're like the cutest little fuckers you ever did see.
>>
>>49810008
The WW2 early war ones? Yeah, they are :3
>>
>>49806303
That guy looks like a midget, or at least an ultra manlett
>>
File: IMAG0627.jpg (718KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0627.jpg
718KB, 1344x760px
>>49810008
teeny-tiny-tanks, you say?
>>
>>49806303
onepagerules just released 2 new games which can be played with any minis you have at hand, so I thought I'll share the pdf's

warstuff is a skirmish game where you build your own models, a mix between song of blades and heroes and mordheim
>>
>>49810164
army men combat is a skirmish game made for plastic army men, reminds me of the lotr game
>>
>>49810176
hammer wars is a large battle version of warstuff, you play with 30-50 miniatures and can build your own units as you want
>>
>>49810164
>>49810176
>>49810192
Thanks - I translated Army Men to Hungarian, to it's really only suitable for playing with army men. Bit too simple for me.
>>
bum - it's a slow weekend
>>
File: IMAG0583.jpg (757KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0583.jpg
757KB, 1344x760px
Shilling Dystopian Wars bump.

It's okay.
>>
>>49813253
If you don't mind the question - how does it feel that Spartan left your game?

Also, do you have a group pic of your army?
>>
File: IMAG0582.jpg (643KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0582.jpg
643KB, 1344x760px
>>49813676
Pretty shitty. The few members of the community that are left seem more lenient than I, in that I don't think they'd punch Spartan Neil in the face. I'm quite willing to put Spartan's abandonment down to incompetence over malice, but it does astound me to what degree Spartan seems to totally misunderstand their community and their reputation. The recent Dystopian Empires kickstarter shows how out of touch they are- I'd go as far as to say I'd trust GW more than Spartan if they had DW.

I think Spartan would be willing to keep DW going, but deep down I feel like it's at least two years too late. Of course, I'd like them to try- I have my fleets, I only stand to gain if the game can be saved.

One thing I do think isn't Spartan's fault is the community- it really could have done with a few players more willing to shill the game. I kept the game going at my local club by being visible and always willing to introduce people to the game.

I don't have a group picture of my Poles. I can take one tomorrow, but the lighting at this time of day (y'know, when it's dark out) isn't conductive to taking good looking pictures.
>>
>>49813825
It's night here too, so yeah. Plus it was fuggen cloudy all day long.
>>
One question about Dystopian Wars, you see these amazing boards from conventions and the like, but how do the naval, air and land units interact? Are there many land units in a standard game? I know there was that tank game that got cancelled/rolled into an expansion book.

It seems like a cool idea, but how do you balance it?
>>
File: IMAG0491.jpg (695KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0491.jpg
695KB, 1344x760px
>>49814078
Fleets are built around a core type- air, naval or armoured (land). Usually Naval, since it's the most popular part of the game. Sometimes Armoured, and very rarely Air. There's no limit on how much of your force is of the core type (in a naval game, you can and often do take nothing but ships), and you have to take a small (frigate, corvette), medium (light cruisers through to battlecruisers) and large/massive (pocket battleships and up) squadron. You're then allowed upto 40% of your points on non-core models.

For the most part, a fleets' non-core will be some form of air support such as airships and heavy bombers, if any.

The interaction is fairly simple: Land and Naval units can only move on the appropriate surface type, and interact the same as any models from the same theatre would. Air units have some restrictions on being targeted- they can choose to move 'obscured'- higher up/in the clouds, making them harder to hit, but suffer the same in return. Also, models on the surface can't shoot at flying models at close range (turns out that naval ordnance tends not to be so good at shooting straight up).

Balancing between is mostly quite good (obviously, being spartan, there are unresolved issues): Naval units are the strongest for a given size class, Armoured are the cheapest. Air units are a middle ground, and generally bring naval toughness, but not as much firepower.

For an example, the middle ground Covenant cruiser, the Cleomedes, costs 80 points, brings a turret, torps and broadsides. The flyer equivalent costs the same, but has weaker broadsides and a short range forward gun instead of torps. The armoured middle ground, meanwhile, is 40 points and can move in any direction freely, but only has a forward gun, broadsides and no shields, with less HP.
>>
I really need to get my shit together and get back to painting my EU stuff for MERCS. Finally get around to demos and filming stuff for it.

Also need to buy some reaper guys to use as test models for color schemes.
>>
Can we talk about Warzone? How good are the old revised rules, are they balanced or unbalanced? Are the new rules very different?

I'd kind of like to get into it but it's hard to know where to start.
>>
>>49815967
I'd start by grabbing the rulebook from their site. Its a free download, just go to Prodos' Warzone site, click Downloads, and the Corporate Warbook is the latest version. Full rulebook, all the army lists and everything is there.
>>
Bumping with Halo: Ground Command battle report:

https://youtu.be/rzigm_9LABs
>>
File: 2016-10-17 00.11.50.jpg (243KB, 513x669px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-17 00.11.50.jpg
243KB, 513x669px
Bumping with Heavy Gear because there's no /hgg/ and /awg/ could do with some robots.

I have been reading the rules and trying to work out what makes this bad boy's minigun so good, and I think I get it.

So to shoot you normally roll 2d6, pick the highest and add 1 for each dice that beats your Gunnery stat (3+ on this guy). Your opponent rolls 2d6 defence, adding 1 for each dice that beats his Piloting stat.

But the minigun has Burst 2, adding 2d6 to the dice pool for every attack. Then it has split fire, which means it can drop a d6 to attack two targets within 6" of each other at 3d6 each.

THEN because it's a Veteran it can reroll a miss. THEN because it's fucking huge it gets 2 actions a turn meaning it can fire its minigun twice.

So it just slings a fuckload of lead at enemy mechs like a walking A-10
>>
>>49817786
Halo doesn't have enough tabletop to get a general tho
>>
>>49817866
I thought /hgg/ was what the Heavy Gear threads used, my bad
>>
Anyone know of some good mutants I can use for 40k? I need big squads.
>>
>>49817786
You can't attack twoce with the same weapon in a turn. So he can lay into someone with his rotary cannon, throwing at least 4 doce their way(more if you position right) and if that doesn't take them out slam into them with some missiles.
>>
File: initial-starter-plague-.jpg (48KB, 620x310px) Image search: [Google]
initial-starter-plague-.jpg
48KB, 620x310px
>>49817948

Mantic's Plague?
>>
Afternoon lads
>>
File: FB_IMG_1476221570364.jpg (75KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1476221570364.jpg
75KB, 960x720px
So, what go you guys expect to see next month in Halo: ground command, I'm thinking we will get ODSTs
>>
>Dark Age released the cards for Shadow Caste Dragyri
Yesssssss.
>>
File: Hearts of Iron - Deo Vindice.jpg (889KB, 1680x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Hearts of Iron - Deo Vindice.jpg
889KB, 1680x2100px
How would you guys feel about a tabletop based around the conflict between the North and the South in "Deo Vindice"?
>>
>>49820155

Is it going to be chock full of Southern Apologism?
>>
>>49820336

Reb's a good goy.
He dindu nuffin.
>>
>>49819953
And the new book for them. Plus the upcoming two player set with plastic Ice Caste guys in it.

>>49817883
It is last I remember. Maybe it was /hgbg/ but I could be wrong.
>>
>>49820453
Weird that Shadow doesn't use slaves, and CORE bots instead. Those Menials for their cost, though.
>>
File: big red dose of fuck you.jpg (240KB, 1600x1396px) Image search: [Google]
big red dose of fuck you.jpg
240KB, 1600x1396px
>Play a game of Dust Warfare over the weekend, my Axis against SSU
>Have never fought the SSU
>Bring a varied list full of glorious Ubertoten, some snipers, an artillery walker and the Sturmkonig, a superheavy walker mounting four 12.8cm fuck you cannons
>Friend brings a shitload of assault infantry and Winter Child, a flying superhuman hero
>Winter child proceeds to punch my super heavy walker to death
>And then mutilates my Ubertoten
>Winter child cannot be stopped
>Finally goes down to a concerted barrage of armor ignoring sniper fire
>And then the molotovs came
>Oh mein gott
>My army is on fire
>Thus the end comes

Damn fun, but that was my first experience with superhuman characters. The dude's a one man army wrecking machine.
>>
>>49820612
Really? Didn't know that. I only really like the Ice Caste, although fire is sloaly growing on me.
>>
>>49820155
I figured it could pan out, background-fluff wise, a lot like Turtledove's books on the Great War. Like, the South ends up throwing in with Britain because they owe them their independence, and the North ends up siding with the Axis due to an eternal hatred of the South and Great Britain, among other things. It could be cool; like, both sides would have their own aesthetic, but each could be heavily influenced by the technology being given them by their respective allies. Like, Deo Vindice has weird stuff like confederate Cromwells and Churchills. It could be cool, and weird, and janky.
>>
>>49821064
Well, the cards were only posted 2 days ago. Shadow Menials have victim stats, but they're only 25 pts. But they come with Masochist(+2 AS and PW) and Unstoppable. Even if you never use the boost, that's still a body with a 40% chance of coming back for 25 pts. And if you're really lucky, they can come back a 3rd time.

Shadow is a weirdly defensive army. You hand out Panic and Toxic counters and -4 AS like candy, and there's a few pieces with Sidestep, so they can lock down melee pretty well. I like that the Shadow Elemental can just swat bullets out of the air.
>>
Any new warband types in the 2E of This Is Not A Test?
>>
File: MG_Warpath_Gaming_Day_9.jpg (61KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
MG_Warpath_Gaming_Day_9.jpg
61KB, 960x540px
>>49818260
Mantic's going to be bring out new Plague models in a month or so, including Boomers.
>>
>>49815967
The rules are solid. Get the 2.0 rules from Prodos' website, they have the army lists in there too.

As for balance...not sure, but they apparently made it more balanced than 1.0
>>
Any suggestions for a Transformers wargame? I am planning on going with the 1:72 scale.
>>
>>49822040
You could try Secrets of the Third Reich, it has rules for mech creation. Other than that, even tho it's for 6mm mostly, Horizon Wars, maybe.
>>
>>49818167
ah right, cheers for the clarification
>>
>>49820336
I feel it's a big step forwards that that giant map refers to the USA as the USA and not Union.

But it depends on how the game's done and how much the SS-fetishists/Clean-Wehrmacht-FOUGHT-WITH-HONOUR types' eyes light up when they see it.
>>
>>49821565
They certainly improved upon those ugly pink fuckers from >>49818260
>>
>>49823859
The pink guys would make pretty good Big Mutants with head swap/adjustment and weapon swaps though. Otherwise they are write-offs.
>>
>>49817948
>Anyone know of some good mutants I can use for 40k?
You could try to get your hands on the infected from Sedition wars. Decent models, but maybe not the best option for bulk buying.
They got a Dead Space kind of body horror thing going on.

Mutant can mean a lot of things though.
If you want to go all out on tentacles other freaky shit mixing and matching goblins, gnoblars, ork, kroot and random human and chaos parts from GW works fine.

If you are going for something more grounded mixing regular GW humans and AoS barbarian models, with Perry historicals for example would give you some really funky proportions since the Perry ones are true scale. So basically a horde of hunchbacks and otherwise deformed, but not fantastical people.

You can also get 'mutant' heads from several third party manufactuers, and just plonk them onto the regular cultist bodies if you can get them cheap or some alternative like from Pig Iron or Frostgrave for example.
Would be the leper-colony flavor of mutant, basically.
>>
File: pink_guy.jpg (7KB, 236x179px) Image search: [Google]
pink_guy.jpg
7KB, 236x179px
>>49823859
>ugly pink fuckers
>>
>>49824098
>ask for good mutants
>"but what it means to be a mutant?"

You just went full Cyanide.
>>
>>49824234
I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

Even in 40k you got chaos mutants and 'regular' mutants like scavvies in the hives, sanctioned mutants like psychers etc. I was just asking what kind of visual he was going for.
>>
>>49824306
https://youtu.be/FMVgM-99XAs?t=7m23s

Obscure reference, desu.
>>
>>49824306
Grave guard base?! That looks classic Necromunda to me, what a good job.
>>
File: IMAG0659.jpg (738KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0659.jpg
738KB, 1344x760px
>>49813676
When the Winged Hussars arrived!

Better late than never, my currently painted Poles. There's another squadron of flame tanks, one of medium tanks, a small pile of the tiny tanks and a landship to go. I need to order a flamer turret for the landship, since I've had these guys since before there was a dedicated Rarog landship model.
>>
Doe sanybody else think the new Cybertronic models for Warzone are fuckugly compared to the old ones?

It seems like Cybertronic got the biggest visual/style overhaul and sadly I don't like it at all. The chasseurs are probably the worst example - the old all-metal chasseurs look much better to my eyes.
>>
File: valerie_duval.jpg (29KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
valerie_duval.jpg
29KB, 350x350px
>>49825457
Tbh I don't really like any of the new models that had their aesthetics upgraded. Light infantry fine, Free Marines fine, Trenchers fine...Golden Lions meh, Heavy Infantry meh...

The Visionaries look good tho, even tho I don't have a BH army, I might pick up a pack.
>>
>>49824651
Looking good man. Always nice to see some DW models.
>>
>>49825472
How's the scale clash between the old and new figs, anyway? I remember classic Warzone figures being really chunky compared to GW of the time, but maybe that was more a question of width?
>>
>>49825515
Not sure desu, haven't got any new stuff yet.
>>
>>49825567
I can't blame you, the Prodos figures are ridiculously expensive tbqh.
>>
>>49825830
Eeeeh, not that much I'd say. I just like the old models a lot more.
>>
Do you guys know a company with good (and somewhat realistic) animal miniatures i could use as animal companions for a mage/druid etc?

Not only the "usual" ones like wolves, but also smaller pets like cats, ferrets or rats.
>>
>>49825836
They're pretty fuckin' expensive compared to the old stuff in stock with Prince August. A Prodos Inquisitor pack of 3 figures costs £14, PA doesn't seem to have all the old Inquisitor models available but the ones they have are metal, £3-4 apiece, and arguably better looking, at that. That's aside from the fact that you could use defunct troop types like the arch-primates to stand in for Inquisitors if you want more model variety.

Same thing with Bauhaus, I was looking at the cost of getting a Bauhaus force and it seems like ideally I'd just pick up the resin Grizzly Battle Tank and maybe a couple Vorreiters, and get the rest from the old range.
>>
>>49825907
I think Reaper does a pretty complete range of those.
>>
>>49825948
Thanks. I'll have a look.
>>
>>49825938
Well, PA can do it because they just bought the rest of the stuff. Original price was around 3GBP per mini (sometimes less), and 12GBP for a unit box of seven.

For vehicles, the newer options are better desu. I don't want to hunt down and assemble a full metal Hurricane walker, I'm fine with the new resing one, same goes for Bauhaus Juggernauts.

Except if I can get them cheaply in whcih case I'd cast them from resin for myself, but ah well.
>>
>>49825907
Otherworld miniatures, bad squiddo games, reaper and there is a french company that does good animals, but i can't remember the name...
>>
>>49825982
>For vehicles, the newer options are better desu.
I agree in most cases but the new Eradicator Deathdroid looks like shit.
>>
>>49826079
Fenryll?

>>49826088
Well, Cybertronic is almost the only corporation I'm not that interested in (except for the old Dr. Diana and Cyrill Dent model, mostly because of the novels), so eh, whatever. I should get back to my Imperial army and finish them so I can finally try the game after gathering around approx. 200 metal minis for it.
>>
I've been planning to make a 15mm sci-fi army of snobbish imperialists that fight using foreign troops. I wanted to use the Soriog from Khurasan, but their down right now.

Do you have any other ideas for races that could fit the bill for that? And I also need a couple assorted aliens if you have any suggestions for those.
>>
>>49826114
You want aliens for the empire, or for the askari or whatever? Check out critical mass games, and these guys from rebel minis: http://www.rebelminis.com/paleinpa.html

I kind of like the sharkmen from khurasan, but don't do 15mm any more. I've switched to purely 28mm and 6mm, for sanity's sake and so I can spend reasonable amounts of time on terrain that'll be useful for more than one thing.

well ok maybe I'll start ogre in 3mm next year. maybe. but only because it fits so well with the ogre DE hex board and the official 6mm is awkward to get and expensive.
>>
>>49826114
Do you plan on using mechs or tanks? Someone needs to convert the dreamforge games mechanical mules into 15mm utility mechs. I mean they can carry stuff, people can 'ride' on them or you could put guns or sensors or stuff like that on them.
>>
>>49826567
>>49826567
Thanks for the recommendations.
Honestly, I don't really have a plan right now. Just looking for models that will look good. I know I'm getting some of Khurasan's jade legion troops, but I'm thinking of a sort of imperial guard type army of lots of different troops and vehicles. I'm developing a wargaming system right now, so I'm also looking for a variety of units, vehicles, and mechs so I can playtest them.
Right now I have an Octopod and a Corporate Ashigaru army, so I'm going to use them to playtest monsters and magic (Octopod) and vehicles, power armor, and specialized units (Ashigaru). I suppose that means all I have left to cover are mechs, unless I'm forgetting something.
>>
>>49825457
I like 'em. A few decisions here and there that made me go "what?" Otherwise I think they look fine.

But then to each his own and all that.
>>
>>49825938
So three old metal costs £9-12, that makes £14 for three new resin that expensive? Also the new Deathdroids are the shit, not look shit. I've got three and they pee all over the old metal ones.
Don't get me wrong the old metals had a certain 90's charm about them, but really haven't aged that well. WZR dragged Warzone screaming and kicking into 0'10's yes it's upset some of the rose tinted mirror shade brigade but at least it brought it back.

Get your PA whilst you can cause when it's gone it's gone. Apparently they had to nuke the molds, not saying they did or didn't ;)
>>
>>49827787
Did they have the moulds too? I thought they only got the leftover stock.
>>
>>49828615
From what I've heard from multiple sources, I even think from Prodos, that PA got the lot. At one point paradox, now cabinet, got them to destroy the molds as part of the agreement. Not sure if it was part of the original agreement or a modification once Prodos got the licence
>>
>>49829296
>got them to destroy the molds as part of the agreement
If Prodos made them do that, I'll hate them eternally, but I highly doubt it took them this long.
>>
>>49829383
Wasn't anything to do with Prodos, if anything it was cabinet who holds all the rights to everything Mutant chronicles
>>
>>49825457
>>49825472
>>49827562
IMO the issue with Cybertronic is they completely changed aesthetic, they remind more of the Alchemists of Dirz from Conf now than old Cybertronic. Maybe if you didnt like Mutant Chronicles before or if youre new to it its not that big a deal, but to me its just doesnt look Cybertronic. Mishima or Imperial or Bauhaus atleast you can recognize the style.

Anyway I think its fair to like new style Cybertronic, >>49827787 just sounds like a Prodos shill though.
>>
>>49829383
As I mentioned it was either when PA got the stock or just before Prodos got the licence. It's something I'd imagine Cabinet had so that they maintain control of the whole licence. Also I'm not saying that pa did it or didn't actually do it depends if you like conspiracy theories or cynical ;)
>>
File: bestrong.jpg (279KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
bestrong.jpg
279KB, 1536x864px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1138228733/moonstone-fantasy-skirmish-game

Moonstone main Kickstarter is live. Time to break out the credit card...
>>
>>49829478
Na I don't shill for anyone. I loved Warzone when the big box came out to battle Warhammer 40k. Felt really bad when they folded before they could win the fight, even supported the ex-staff Void game when it came out.

Backed WZR purely because it brought Warzone back, and I'm happy that it's been brought more or less up to date, kind of like the Battlestar Galactica re-imaging
>>
>>49813676
>how does it feel that Spartan left your game?

It could be worse.

>tfw Dystopian Legions player
>>
>>49829478
It looks too high-tech now - which was their shtick in the '90s, but it means different things now. Since I can get what I want still, I'm fine with everything, I just miss the GIANT PAULDRONS of Paul Bonner from the minis.

Also, why did everyone forgot what the flying fuck a shotgun is?

>>49829491
There's a conspiracy about Bonner's art - if he illustrates your game, it'll go down in flames sooner or later.

>>49829553
Oh they absolutely could. Only time GW lowered their prices when the 2nd ed starter came out - the 40k starter back then was the 2nd ed with some pretty bad figures by today's standards, and wasn't anything to write home about when compared to the Warzone box either. The WZ guys are still pretty cool even today, I love them. Wish they did more plastics, and I kinda wish they went with a similar aesthetic and style as the old minis, not the rather lifeless 3d sculpting. Say, imagine a sprue of Capitol Infantry with the bodies, arms and weapons on the sprue, plus additional ones for Light Infantry, Heavy Infantry, Free Marines, Sea Lions...their armor was practically the same, base figures could be the same, then add extra sprues for variety.

This is my fucking dream...to make modular plastic kits like this one day. Such a shame making it would cost me a fortune.
>>
>>49829296
Part of the original agreement was that PA destroy the moulds, but every few years they "find" a few extra models in the back of the warehouse.
>>
>>49829737
Lol Bonner did some art for GW, so there's still time.

GW shit the bed when Target released details of that Chronopia epic game, forced them to release that shit version of epic 40k blug.

I was the first at my FLGS to get Warzone and Chronopia, hobby whore lol. Erm yeah I hear you, would love a large pile of plastic much more fun and customisable.

Used to love those early plastic Trenchers and Ducal militia, they have actually aged well, to my eyes, some of the metals just ache my eyes, but each to there own ;)
Oh and there's nothing wrong with massive pauldrons, but really did everyone have to grin ;)

Cannot wait to see what the siege of the citadel reboot does with some of the characters, Prodos are modifying some sculpts but there are others doing work that look fairly good too
>>
>>49829766
Yeah, that's what I heard, just needed a reminder. I like that they 'find' some in the warehouse it keeps the second hand market realistic.
Still cannot understand some of the prices asked for shit old GW figures on eBay, they weren't worth the money asked when new why people think they're with money now?!?
So PA make sure people who want the old models don't have to rob a bank
>>
>>49829975
PA are decent guys to be honest, I like them. And yeah, old Warzone minis are surprisingly cheap...bragged about a Bauhaus Strike Skimmer still in shrinkwraps, but I also got a shrinkwrapped box of heavy infantry for 9 entire GBP with postage included from the UK to Hungary (thought the guy was crazy, but nope), two more shrinkwrapped boxes for 10-10 Euros each, two more with like 4-4 extra figures for 15...crazy, man, crazy. I started collecting them because I thought I could keep up with my new acquisitions as they are hard to come by and not cheap.
>>
So...awg, what TT game has the coolest and most detailed miniatures?
>>
>>49830113
Sweet a Bauhaus skimmer, good price and good find :)
>>
>>49829527
Those goblin-looking dudes are neat, and £18 for three isn't too shabby for nice models like those.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1476734947935.jpg (59KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1476734947935.jpg
59KB, 540x960px
The stat card for the Sangheili Ghost in ground command.
>>
>>49830230
You'll get a different answer from basically everyone in this thread. Heck depending on my mood, I'd give different answers when asked twice.

Right now I'd go with Malifaux,
>>
>>49829737
I like Pauldron Bonner too, aswell as the big curved surfaces and heavy limbs on old Cybertronic soldiers and robots (Except the Machinators ofcourse). New Cybertronic is all jagged and thin shit, a very different style.
>>
>>49830230
infinity full stop
>>
>>49830230
If you count defunct games it's definitely Confrontation.
>>
So, it turns out if you build everything in the Heavy Gear 2-player starter and probably overspend massively on upgrades you can comfortably make 150-160 point armies with 3 combat groups each.

If anyone has played the game can they point out any major blunders I made?

General Purpose Unit (43)
- Headhunter Gunner (8), 2iC (2)
- Hunter Destroyer (8)
- Hunter (6)
- Hunter (6)
-> Attached: Strike Cheetah (11), Smoke Launchers (2)

Skirmish Unit (64)
- Flash Thunder Jaguar (12) [CHQ]
- Sniper Jaguar (11)
- Fire Jaguar (11)
- Fire Jaguar (11)
-> Attached: White Cat Cheetah Duellist (12)
-> Gunslinger, Advanced Controls, Electronic Warfare (7)

Fire Support Unit (53)
- Chaingun Kodiak (19)
- Destroyer Grizzly (14)
- Grizzly (14)
-> Attached: Ferret Mk2 (6)

--

General Purpose Unit (29)
- Jager Gunner Commander (8)
- Striking Jager (7)
- Brawler Jager (7)
- Brawler Jager (7)

Skirmish Unit (49)
- Razorfang Blazing Black Mamba (13) [CHQ]
- Blazing Black Mamba (12)
- Longfang Black Mamba (12)
- Longfang Black Mamba (12)

Veteran Fire Support Unit (82)
- Hooded King Cobra (21), 2iC (2) Ace Gunner (2)
- Jungle Mower Cobra (16), Ace Gunner (2)
- Jungle Mower Support Cobra (16), Ace Gunner (2)
-> Attached: Chatterbox Iguana (10), Smoke Launcher (2)
-> Attached: Hunting Iguana (8), Light Panzerfaust (1)

The South being a model down on the North means they have to buy a shitload of upgrades but if I've read it right Ace Gunner on the Cobras lets them let rip with miniguns or artillery on overwatch which is kind of like Predator and so awesome.

Also the King Cobra is one of the sexiest robot designs in wargaming, fight me if you think otherwise
>>
>>49830230
Coolest depends on your taste in style, but I'd give most detailed to Malifaux or Arena Rex.
>>
Any one know of a good model to represent a chronomancer in frostgrave?
>>
>>49832913

https://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/80005

https://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/80004

May want to chop the gun off the first guy, give him a staff or something.
>>
>>49830346
Haven't played the Halo ground game. For those who have, how is it?
>>
>>49834323
those look good but I think it's going to be a little difficult for me to remove the gun and still make the arm look good.
>>
File: 1315385370148.png (811KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1315385370148.png
811KB, 720x540px
Do I have to paint minis to be into wargames?
Anyone here doesn't like minis at all?
>>
>>49835057
You can just pay someone to paint your minis to tabletop quality.
>>
>>49835057
I love minis, but I don't enjoy painting at all. I do like having nicely painted minis, though, so I do my best anyway (can't afford to pay someone else to do it). It does mean I prefer to play smaller-scale games so I don't have to spend so much time on painting. One reason I'd like to get into Warzone is the force size seems to be at a solidly skirmish level. I don't know anybody else who's interested, though.
>>
>>49834337
Pretty good game, with nice rules, good quality minis, and decent pricing.

It is made by spartan games, so people expect support to dry out, but MS/343 already said that they have them on a 3 year contract, there also were delays with the starter set and the Pelicans, but that had also been improving.
>>
>>49810142
opmg i want it what is this?
>>
File: TDO 2.jpg (210KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
TDO 2.jpg
210KB, 1200x900px
>>49835608
Game is Dsytopian Wars, faction is Poland.

Do not believe the Polish lies. Come to Antarctica, where our mechs are spiders, our flyers are UFO's and our boats are also submarines.
>>
>>49835057
>Anyone here doesn't like minis at all?
so you want a chit based war-game?
>>
>>49829478
I get that. The update to look more hogh tech means they can't look like the 90's models anymore. I do wish the Chassuers had a bit more armor to them. Being a bunch of shirtless dudes seems weird to me.

I like the new EDD. It's evocative of the old design with a few modern touches.

Like I said; to each their own. Bauhaus is my primary, and if nothing else Cyber should be easy to paint which means getting them on the table faster for demo purposes.

>>49831207
The two lists I have come to about 135 points each. I'd rather buy a second start for my faction of choice than stretch those exyra 15 points out on stuff that may not be so great. Duelist on a Cheetah isn't going to do a whole lot, for example.
>>
>>49836519
Well, they could be into sweet, sweet blocks.
>>
>>49809422
1;72Anon?
>>
>>49838373

N-no, man, t-that's not me ... Honest, man. Swear to god.
>>
>>49838426
your basing style is too recognisable you gay hungarian bastard
>>
>>49838449

B-but, I'm not him!
A-and who're you calling a bastard, anyway?
I-i'll rek your army in 'Twilight Struggle' you filthy capitalist pig!
>>
>>49838426
>>49838449
Please just fuck already. You can dress up like hoplites or nazis if you want, just get it out of your systems and get back to doin' fights.
>>
>>49838487
its a shame youre not him, I wanna suck his dick
>>
>>49813825
Didn't help matters that the rulebook is widely considered one of the worst set out of all time. The v 1.5 was an improvement but it was still pretty bad.
>>
>>49838497
Hot diggety
>>
>>49838449
I use green static grass and I'm not that interested in Dystopian Wars, but thanks for being paranoid about me.
>>
>>49839080
>someone being nice to you
>paranoid

stop being an autist, you already ruined /hwg/ for me with this shit
>>
File: breton.jpg (210KB, 900x699px) Image search: [Google]
breton.jpg
210KB, 900x699px
>>49839119
If you see me everywhere...but ah well. And how /hwg/ is my fault, not shitposter-kun's...eh, whatever. Fuck me for posting content.
>>
>>49824098
Yeah, I was wanting more Chaos-y models.
>>
>>49839136
maybe just lighten the fuck up would you
>>
Its a little known fact that both /hwg/ and /awg/ are populated by 1:72 anon and his alter egos.

What we am witnessing is the break down of our shared consciousness as each personality becomes increasingly self aware.
>>
>>49839154
Fuck off I'm my own person.
>>
>>49839154
I know, it's great. That autist keeps accusing me of being 1:72 anon, even though I've never once considered playing in the scale.
>>
File: viridian_snipers.jpg (72KB, 922x360px) Image search: [Google]
viridian_snipers.jpg
72KB, 922x360px
Let's return to /awg/, shall we?

Anyone playing Urban War or Void 1.1?
>>
File: IMAG0642.jpg (836KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0642.jpg
836KB, 1344x760px
>>49838373
>>49838426
>>49838487
>>49839080
>>49839154

Christ, I leave for one evening to actually play DW and this is what I come back to? Didn't get to use my Poles, but a game is a game.

Incidentally, that is green static grass on my bases, but painted over with tan and brass for that late summer dry hay look.

>>49838516
Yeah, it was fucking awful. I just went full autist and can remember 99% of the rules off the top of my head.
>>
>>49839940
you 1:72 or not?
>>
>>49840000
nice quads.

Babe, I'll be whoever you want me to be.
>>
>>49840018
put your 1:72 scale dick in me baby
>>
File: konflikt 47.jpg (530KB, 715x951px) Image search: [Google]
konflikt 47.jpg
530KB, 715x951px
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kaa9z0gdn7ujd57/Konflikt+%2747.pdf
>>
File: 1360664618220.jpg (275KB, 1549x563px) Image search: [Google]
1360664618220.jpg
275KB, 1549x563px
>>49840059
Thank you Anon.
I'd post tits as thanks but have a nice Gladius instead.
>>
>>49840102
I'll help out with the tits anon

https://www.bto.org/sites/default/files/styles/1000_wide_350_high/public/shared_images/science/latest_research/2013-06/2013-06-24-bluti-010-e-two-fat-feeder-john-harding.jpg?itok=GfDXSb43
>>
>>49840120
Fixed because I'm a casual faggot lurker who knows nothing
>>
>>49840162
At least you posted nice tits.
>>
Anyone have Beyond the Gates of Antares?
>>
Has anyone played the Dredd wargame? The models look nice but it'd be a bonus if the game is good.
>>
>>49840802
No, but in case anyone could post a pdf, that'd be lovely.
>>
>>49840967
It's actually free on the Warlord Games site.
>>
>>49841332
Oh, so I'm just retarded. Thanks for pointing out anon, never thought Warlord would give a ruleset for free!
>>
>>49841363
No problem, you didn't know so no hate.
>>
File: skirmishboard 3 008.jpg (381KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
skirmishboard 3 008.jpg
381KB, 1600x1200px
Hey guys. How would you feel about a coop vs GM wargame?

Would you feel it'd be better to run it something akin to 'coop vs AI' like video games?

I'm thinking a GM would be better because it would create a 'real' challenge. No role playing involved, just a skirmish wargame. I mean, something like Mordheim, but the players are controlling a mini-warband (3-5) each, against a GM who plans the campaign and all that.

I'm thinking of making it pretty simple, but with good advancement rules and all.
>>
>>49840699
I don't think anyone ever cared enough about that game to buy a copy and upload it.

Seriously it is weird how much nobody gives a fuck about it. Even tiny little no-attached-miniatures-range games that hardly anyone plays get more attention.
>>
>>49842808
It's a pity because I really like the concord and isorians, but I have no idea about the rules beyond "BA in space"
>>
>>49842883
Actually, only the random turn sequence is common with BA. And pin markers. Besides that, there is not much similarity between the two.

There are games on youtube to watch
>>
>>49839216
bought some of the models for my IG, which was quite an ordeal because apparently not everything is always in stock?
Anyway the models themselves are great, and I kinda like the flavors of the facions even though some sculpts seem a bit dated.

Sadly I've never met anyone else with an interest in the game. Afaik there is nobody playing it where I live.
>>
File: I touched a boob.jpg (96KB, 860x1113px) Image search: [Google]
I touched a boob.jpg
96KB, 860x1113px
>>49840120
>>49840162
>>49840672
>>
>>49840059
Cheers anon. Really pleased to see this, but shocked that this was available before Beyond the Gates of Antares. It's a good game, just apparently not liked
>>
File: Gates of Antares General.jpg (67KB, 422x612px) Image search: [Google]
Gates of Antares General.jpg
67KB, 422x612px
>>49842808
>I don't think anyone ever cared enough about that game to buy a copy and upload it.
>Seriously it is weird how much nobody gives a fuck about it.
I was hyped about it. Then I heard the plan about making it an interactive cross media thing which turned me off. Then the kickstarter bombed and they changed that again. So that was good but there was about a year or so of radio silence.

Then I read the beta rules, which sadly happened to be an unedited mess of random ideas and in part idiotically complicated concepts like the cover rules.
The document was very much a wip thing where Rick seemed to just write everything he could thing of down.
No rules preview might have been better than the beta rules, because they were pretty off putting imo.

Oh yeah and the games was announced as hard sci-fi and it is pretty obviously some kind of space opera thing that feels like an almagation of some old school sci-fi tv series.
And some of the minis just look cartoony as fuck.
So that was also something entirely different then what I anticipated.

Not to mention that the actual Gates of Antares sound basically like they are 1:1 the webway gates in 40k.

So in summary, the game is probably in it's finished state not bad, I've seen a battle report or two and it looks decent, but every single bit of marketing and publicity work was a fucking disaster.
>>
anyone have the supplemental frostgrave books?
>>
>>49842567
They're pretty fun. There are some miniatures games that give you a basic AI, but nothing wrong with using a DM and whatever rules you're comfortable with. If you like Mordheim already, I'd definitely suggest just... letting players buy a small band and sending them into ~~the ruins~~.

The Forest is Vast is obviously for the wrong setting, but it's a pretty good overlay system for exploring a map: http://home.earthlink.net/~cyberkiwi/soldiers/rules3.html

Ignore the combat stuff, just look at the Tim's Original Rules section. Obviously scale stuff to parties.

There's also a ruins version that might be more applicable, I've attached it. It's SF, but even more easy to adapt.

Also, that board's rad.
>>
>>49843326
>part idiotically complicated concepts like the cover rules.
How were they? Haven't read the beta.
>>
>>49843371
being more specific, the sellsword, arcane locations and dark alchemy expansions
>>
So who actually sells MERCS 2.0 outside Megacon games? Went to pick up some starters and they're sold out. The only other resource I've found is FRP, and they're saying the same thing.
>>
>>49843326
Fuck, I had a whole post written up and lost it.

Basically, bad Beta rules are the dumbest thing you can do as a game designer/launcher, because you kill off a chunk of that base you need most to keep the hype rolling.

Given how loud the first announcement was, it's the quietest game I've ever heard of.
>>
>>49836519
Mini wargaming is a girl
Chit wargaming is a lady
Block wargaming is a WOMAN.
>>
>>49839216
I got in on the Age of Tyrants KS if that counts?
>>
>>49844578
Kinda, sorta, iunno.

What did you go for?
>>
>>49844596
Syntha Mixed Company in the end, I like robot factions in stuff.

Would have preferred an Armoured Co. but it was a bit too pricey for me.
>>
>>49843552
Thanks for that man, I'll check it out.

I have yet to see examples of wargames with DMs, but I guess it could be cool for campaign games similar to Mordheim. Of course, non competitive gaming
>>
>>49844053
I only read them never played them, but as I said they were more of a collection of ideas than a unified rules system.
Some good ideas, some bad ones. Some well written stuff and some that just made you scratch your head.

>>49844372
>Basically, bad Beta rules are the dumbest thing you can do as a game designer/launcher, because you kill off a chunk of that base you need most to keep the hype rolling.
Yeah, I think that is what happened here.

>it's the quietest game I've ever heard of.
Which is sad, because aside from GW, there is only mantic's warpath and GoA doing an entire range of sci-fi minis including tanks and other vehicles.
There was this one game funded by a kickstarter from dakka dakka but i never heard from that again.
>>
The problem with GoA is it's just the most generic thing ever, none of the factions are even remotely interesting.

It's just generic sci-fi mans doing fights.
>>
>>49845306
And Warzone.
>>
Has anyone played Strange Aeons?
>>
>>49846199
Do they do plastic now? Or do you mean the old ones?
>>
File: 1410757126381.png (1MB, 849x849px) Image search: [Google]
1410757126381.png
1MB, 849x849px
>>49818260
Is Mantics current kickstarter worth it? I don't have any experience with them, or their other games.
>>
>>49846332
Even if you don't like the game (which would be surprising, since Mantic does a pretty good job with their stuff) you'd get fucktons of figures for 100$. Jump in for a 1$ placeholder and decide what you wanna do when the pledge manager comes around (can upgrade your pledge and add extra stuff).
>>
File: 1452271080414.jpg (595KB, 1280x1987px) Image search: [Google]
1452271080414.jpg
595KB, 1280x1987px
>>49846381
Cheers mate. The game seems pretty interesting, I will probably pledge for the box tomorrow.
>>
>>49846538
No probs, Siege of the Citadel left my wallet bleeding, so I'll wait till the PM comes around and pick up what I need.

Wonder when Warpath will get shipped tho, and still haven't played a second Deadzone game with 90% of the models from the KS still unassembled...argh, fuck. I should play more to keep up the motivation.
>>
>>49846260
Still in resin.
>>
File: img54e86db87069c.jpg (114KB, 1024x478px) Image search: [Google]
img54e86db87069c.jpg
114KB, 1024x478px
I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Guildball team. I see it talked about on here a fair bit. I was going to get the fishermen because I like their look the best. But now I don't know whether or not I should wait for the 2-player starter so I can get to grips the game. It seems like for the price of one team I can get two if I wait, even if they are not the ones I really wanted. Just looking for some input. Should I wait or dive in?
>>
>>49842567
As someone who loves campaigns I'd play the hell out of that.
>>
>>49849099
Depends, the starter box are going to be a lower quality basically. Its more or less a board game quality for getting people in to the game. if your like your models get a metal team and dive in. other wise wait for the stater set and get a friend in too.
>>
>>49843371
>>49844135
I'm this guy, I found sellsword and dark alchemy but can not find Arcane Locations. here is the link to the other FG stuff.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/1e68645496dga//Frostgrave
>>
File: w03.jpg (293KB, 1037x648px) Image search: [Google]
w03.jpg
293KB, 1037x648px
>>49842567
It's a fun way to play. We usually have one player running a "setting" warband in our games, whose role is to move the story and not to win games.
>>
>>49844362
Noble Knight stocks MERCS, but no clue if they have 2.0 yet. Miniature Market has a tab for it, but nothing listed.

>>49845306
>aside from GW, there is only mantic's warpath and GoA doing an entire range of sci-fi minis including tanks and other vehicles.
There is Warzone, but it's fairly light on vehicles.

Honestly at 28mm more than like 2 tanks a few light walkers or bikes per a side is just silly anyway.
>>
>>49825954
Dice Bag Lady has some guinea pigs and a copybara now. Obviously, you can't get by with just those, but if you want something a bit more unique.
>>
>>49853850
Can't find them on her site? I've been meaning to order her russians for a while, and some animals might push me over the edge into placing the order.
>>
File: capy-thumb-painted.jpg (46KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
capy-thumb-painted.jpg
46KB, 150x150px
>>49853881
Ah, never mind, they're in the bad squiddo miniatures section, not the rest of the store. Thought you meant they were just being sold by her.
>>
>>49853895
(also it's a giant capybara, meant for riding or what not in a fantasy game - 28mm tall)
>>
>>49853895
Combat wombat!
>>
>>49854807
*Mortal Wombat
>>
>>49842567
This is pretty much literally how OD&D was played, and D&D became pretty popular, so...
>>
>>49853895
>>49854823
>>49854807
Had they made a wombat I would finally be able to wargame Mike, Lu & Og sadfrog.png.bat
>>
>>49825907
another good place to look for animals is foundry and northstar miniatures.
>>
>>49855412
Some day, all of our obscure wargaming ideas will be made...
>>
>>49825907
Ral Partha does a few, like badgers, snakes, warthogs, deer etc.
Wargames Foundry has some, mostly larger animals like llamas, foxes, deer, boars.
>>
Asking here, since the PDF thread didn't have it: does anyone have Horde of the things?
>>
>>49857322
>>49855510
>>49853895
>>49853850

Thanks guys.

I went with this set for the time, mostly because of its price.
https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/familiar/latest/77176

The other companies stuff looks great too, and if the bones material turns out to be as shit as i imagine it i'll order somewhere else.
>>
File: almaran.jpg (347KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
almaran.jpg
347KB, 2048x1536px
>>49857407
It's actually nice.
>>
>>49857407
Also check out DeeCee, they have a large variety of dog breeds (and a cat), as well as prehistoric mammals.
>>
>>49857441
I guess you can't complain at its price, but i'm afraid it will bend easily and then the paint comes off, just like with the 1:72/20mm soft plastic soldiers.
>>
>>49857448
*DeeZee
But Reaper is a good choice, the sculpts are very nice and they do weird animals like platypuses.
>>
>>49857464
Bones can be hideously bad and absolutely amazing, depending on the kind of model:
For big monsters and solid things without a lot of thin wings, blades, spears, legs, sticks, antenna etc sticking out, it looks great, and is definitely worth it because it's so much cheaper than metal and resin.

For detailed characters, things with anything that sticks out, things with thin limbs or anything with a human face, it will usually look like hot garbage. Not always, but more often than not. Also, make sure to varnish the models, because the paint will rub off very easily, even after it's dried.
>>
>>49857464
Quite the opposing, it bends really well, I've tried it. Paint doesn't chip off.
>>
>>49857580
The problem is that when you buy Bones, weapons will often be permanently bent, and it's really no easy way to fix they. It's kind of a lottery.
>>
>>49857337
https://mega.nz/#!C10mnApJ!ZClscQPfDrWGZTKLGmBVbaS2X3lUgGCZ4I6wvE3nbKg
>>
>>49857611
You can straighten them out with hot water, or worst case scenario, get them a replacement weapon.
>>
>>49857611
1) Dip the mini into very hot water
2) Straighten the mini with your bare hands
3) Scream with pain and curse my self for not using gloves this time
3) Hold it under a cold water tap

I always fix mine this way.
>>
>>49857665
The screaming is definitely necessary. I used gloves once and it didn't work.
>>
>>49857665
With the screaming part as well?
>>
>>49835057
Play boardgames? I heard good thing about Heroes of Normandy, but never got to try it.
Or play X-Wing/Armada, they're pre-painted.
>>
>>49857641
>>49857665
I've tried that, and I wish it worked. Bent right back again.
>>
>>49857738
Then you need to scream a bit did you use the cold water? It needs to be cooled down instantly
>>
>>49857755
Yeah, after the screaming, the cold water is the most important part.
>>
>>49857755
Hm, might have missed that step. I'll try it again.

I still think that Bones isn't worth it for detailed characters, since a lot of fine detail is lost (turning faces flat, a lot of the time), and it's kind of a pain to get the paint to stick to the model sometimes. I absolutely love it when it comes to big monsters, though. And if you're not anal about details and just want something cheap that looks okay at arm's length, I'd probably go with Bones.
>>
>>49857844
See my Almaran the Gold at >>49857441, I think he turned out pretty good. Painted around a dozen or so Bones characters, all of them were fine, so I wouldn't worry that much.
>>
>>49830230
>coolest
GW fantasy pre ~7th
GW 40k in general
Confrontation
Celtos
Battlefleet Gothic
Dropfleet/Dropzone Commander

>most detailed
Most of the recent (~5 years) GW releases, Infinity and Malifaux.
>>
File: nagash.jpg (41KB, 434x599px) Image search: [Google]
nagash.jpg
41KB, 434x599px
>>49857918
>GW fantasy pre ~7th
Oh yes.
>>
>>49857884
As I said, they look okay on the tabletop, but the details are kinda terrible. Especially when you try to mix them with metal (and some plastic) models. They're good enough to serve as playing pieces, though. I've painted at least thirty myself, so I have experience with them.
It also varies from model to model.
>>
>>49857949
I unironically like the sculpt, but I'm an oldhammer fag anyway. The only bad thing about it is the face imo.
>>
>>49857995
>Interesting, there could have been a chance to have a non-derpy Nagash model the whole time. The true reason for this terrible model was internal strife within the company. Years ago, when GW cared somewhat about the customers more than their money, the sculptor wanted Nagash to have more of a desiccated corpse look, while a skeletal look was being demanded from his superiors. In an attempt to force them to accept a resculpt with a non-skeletal face, he made Nagash's skull as stupid-looking as he could (oh, how he succeeded). Unfortunately, they decided to go with that sculpt instead of demand he redo it.
>>
>>49858007
I know that. I still think it's not THAT bad, especially compared to other undead miniatures from that time. The undisputed GOAT undead miniature line is 6th edition VC anyway. Except for the batswarms everything is perfect gothic horror. The recent skellis and graveguard are better kits, but they lack the character for me. Interestingly though, they look exactly like the artworks form the 6th edition armybook.
>>
>>49857949
> Using a Gary Morley sculpt
> Not to mention one he deliberately fucked up

That's just unfair now.
>>
>>49858072
I don't that was his point, because I was talking about 'coolest' not 'most detailed' models.
>>
>>49858072
See >>49858007
>>
>>49857611
You could always go historicalgrog and make your own weapons. Spears are the most common, but I've seen people make little metal swords and axes for their soldiers, when they don't like the ones supplied with the model or want something a bit sturdier.

Then there are those wankers who use sharp pins for 15mm or 6mm pikes, fuck those jerks. They look good (so thin!) but you have to be careful or you will get blood on the table.
>>
>>49857995
>unironically liking old Nagash but not also unironically appreciating that glorious face
mate, it's 2016.
>>
Is there a forum for tabletop miniature games where there are posters with an IQ higher than a garden slug's? Because I've been trying Lead Adventure for months now, but it's really hard to have a discussion when I keep finding myself resorting to speaking to middle-aged men in the kind of tone you'd use for a particularly dumb dog, in a desperate hope that it will make simple questions and sentenses sink through their skulls.
It makes me feel bad.
>>
>>49858306
No.

Amicalement
Armand
>>
File: kek.gif (2MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
kek.gif
2MB, 200x150px
>>49858369
I chuckled audibly.
>>
>>49858423
Glad you like it boys! (smile)

Amicalement
Armand
>>
>>49858306
Do you speak german? Last time I checked (about 5 years ago lol), it was pretty good. I don't know how hard AoS hit the community here, on our 'biggest' news page, people in the comments went full retard and are still more than mad...
Or join some facebookgroups and hope for the best. The worst you can get is some nice pictures of painted miniatures every day (a thing that /tg/ severely lacks).
Other than that, I think /awg/ and /hwg/ are the best places to talk about miniatures these days.
>>
>>49858683
Shit I forgot the name of the german forum: tabletopwelt
>>
>>49858683
>>49858791

tabletopwelt.. really?

Sweetwater (also a german board) is, besides /hwg/ and some smaller FB groups the only place i go these days.

Some say reddit is a acceptable place as well..
>>
>>49859131
Reddit is surprisingly full of wargame related shit.
>>
>>49858456
TMP is such a hole
>>
>>49839170
I'm not
>>
Anyone played Ninja All-Stars? It looked good.
>>
>>49860345
Is that a chibi game, do I remember it correctly?
>>
>>49806303
NCR Veteran Ranger?
>>
>>49861844
Yes, it is. It's by Soda Pop Miniatures, I'm a big fan of their Super Dungeon Explore.
>>
>>49857949
Chalk up one more for unironically liking this, sure his cone hat made of skulls is dumb, but he has fewer skulls on him than any given 40K chaos model does nowadays.
>>
>>49857949
Let's play a game,

If this model was released now for AoS, what would they name it?

My bet is something like Cryptomantic Ossuarch
>>
>>49859904
It's was hilarious when the owner imported a bunch of trannies to run it for him.
>>
>>49839216
Collecting Urban War sure; playing? Not a snowballs chance in hell. I did actually manage to find an opponent at my old games club but then moved to start a Masters degree so there goes that once in a life-time opportunity.
It's a shame, I really like the Urban War system. Every game I've had of it has been great fun.

>>49844596
I backed AoT too. Went for a starter type set up which I hope works out. Vridians & VASA, with the A, B and mixed infantry platoons for both, plus CLAUs. Because fuck yeah, CLAUs!
>>
>>49863336
Deathrattle Bonelord Skullhelm von BoneSkull
>>
>>49858369
>>49858456

I couldn't understand this reference. Some help?
>>
>>49863714
There's a sperg on TMP called Armand
>>
>>49863757
did anything come from that flip ladyboy mod team controversy?
>>
File: img5560a3789f32f.jpg (615KB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
img5560a3789f32f.jpg
615KB, 3072x2304px
>>49831033
>>49857918

Doesn't Wrath of Kings have some of the Confrontation sculptors behind it, or am I misremembering things?
>>
>>49866855
I think a few of the old sculpters are involved, or maybe some of the artists?

>>49862210
Apparently it has a few issues. Something about how defense rolls are done. I can't remember the exact complaint or if it ever got fixed.

I want to play it, though.
>>
>>49863336
Deathlord Deathy McDeath von Death.
>>
>>49863757
>>49866309
I really hope it's not this Armand. His stuff seems cool.http://www.shapeways.com/shops/armand
>>
>>49863336
Deathlord Spookiessen Bonemancer of Skullville
>>
>>49869516
I doubt it, this armand only posts random images and links.
>>
>>49863336
Deathrattle Skullgrin Bonetarch
>>
>>49870055
He doesn't seem capable of creating his own content desu.

But as it was said in /hwg/, he's probably just a 60 years old guy with a beard and a beer belly with too much time and an internet access on his hand.
>>
>>49806303
Does anyone know of any games that use a larger scale? Looking for something in 1:18, or perhaps even larger but not sure if such a thing even exists
>>
>>49871229
Wargaming would be really impractical at that scale as even a standard 4'x6' table would cover a pretty small area.
>>
>>49871229
The largest scale I know of in wargaming is 1:32 which is the classic 54mm toy soldiers size. The most recent example would be GW's ill-fated 'Inquistor'. But's still popular for skirmish games, I know gladiator games are often played in 54mm.
>>
>>49871345
>all the modern figures of Airfix that never became 1:72

Why do you hurt me, anon? ;_;
>>
>>49871345
Thanks anon, any examples of those gladiator games?
>>
>>49871482
Jugula or however its called. By Gripping Beast.
>>
File: Campaign 2015 11.jpg (261KB, 1600x913px) Image search: [Google]
Campaign 2015 11.jpg
261KB, 1600x913px
>>49871482
Jugula from Gripping Beast/Studio Tomahawk, and Red Sand Blue Sky from Two Hour Wargames. The former is a very detailled duelling game while the latter has stronger RPG elements. Both should be in /hwg/'s Ancient folder. There's also 2HW's Charioteer which is the chariot racing variant. A version of the latter played by Playmobil popped up at some games days in the UK this year.
>>
>>49871497
>>49871527
Thanks guys, I'll look into those
>>
>>49871527
I wish there would have been playmobil romans around when i was a kid
>>
>>49871482
Arena Rex.

There was another big scale steampunk one. Forgot the name though.
>>
>>49872507
Smog something-something?
>>
File: smart max smog 1888 pdtimg10.jpg (102KB, 391x550px) Image search: [Google]
smart max smog 1888 pdtimg10.jpg
102KB, 391x550px
>>49871527
>>49871914
The playmobil arena apparently is also very popular with people that play games like the AoW Deathmatch game.

>>49871482
arcane codex arena is another game i can think of.
Uses 28mm minis though.

If anyone is in the market for 28mm gladiators check out foundry.

>>49872551
Yeah that could be it. The company had a teddy bear logo with orange background or something I think.
Might have been a french company?

Ah, captcha took forever to load so I googled a bit. Smog 1888 by Smart Max
>>
>>49866855
They went here and there, those guys are top notch sculptors and they needed work. I think Drakerys or whatever it's called, the one with the beef-elf mini everyone's seen, has a couple as well.

They just don't quite get up to the same level without the Rackham art direction, though. Or maybe it's just that they're kinda doing imitations of their own previous work now, instead of working on the real deal.
>>
File: Saint-Mark.jpg (140KB, 1500x976px) Image search: [Google]
Saint-Mark.jpg
140KB, 1500x976px
Any opinions on Dark Age? The sculpts look amazing, and the range is quite big, but by the looks of it they don't seem too interested in doing business outside North America atm.

It's strange that they can only be acquired through Wayland in the UK, oddly enough big stores like Dark Sphere don't seem to be carrying it.
>>
>>49871080
(smile)

Amicalement
Armand
>>
File: 1306913541634.jpg (12KB, 185x301px) Image search: [Google]
1306913541634.jpg
12KB, 185x301px
>>49871254
>>49871345
Won't games with rules for very small groups, smaller than platoons be OK with large minis? 30 minis in total can't clutter a table that much.
>>
>>49873618
>It's strange that they can only be acquired through Wayland in the UK, oddly enough big stores like Dark Sphere don't seem to be carrying it.

Somehow Wayland acquired sole rights to sell a lot of games. Dark Age, Robotech (lol), Heavy Gear, and for a while Wrath of Kings and Relic Knights.

Now the problem is Wayland are fucking TERRIBLE at promoting games and basically never restock anything. So they are the only place to buy games but then never have any stock, or decide to do a fire sale to offload the range.
>>
>>49873618
Game is damn fun. Rules are pretty solid, and deadly, and the newer models are just great. Also all the rules are totally free online which is nice.

Now distribution? That's a big fault of the game. Being owned by CMoN means they basically make it damn near impossible to get it from online retailers it seems(although oddly WoK is available from Miniature Market).
>>
>>49873858
Literally never buy anything from Wayland Games unless it's actually physically in stock right as you order it.

I mean, they're better than Maelstrom were, at least?
>>
File: KoB_BB_Mk2.jpg (119KB, 1000x638px) Image search: [Google]
KoB_BB_Mk2.jpg
119KB, 1000x638px
Has anyone tried out the Battle of Angra Pequena scenario for Dystopian Wars?
>>
>>49874194
Isn't that like saying herpes is better than the plague?
>>
>>49874432
Hey, Maelstrom died (give or take them stealing the remaining money to go form their miniatures company, or whatever), Wayland may be eradicated too, if medical science continues to advance!
>>
>>49874129
WoK had hype, Dark Age is too entrenched and niche at this point (though sadly also a great game)
>>
>>49873618
I think spirit games in Staffordshire had them when I was last there.
>>
>>49873834
I think I have seen some russian civil war skirmish games played with 52mm figs.
>>
>>49874528
Fair point.

Hopefully the release of the 2 player starter will help.
>>
>>49873618
Dark Age is a fantastic game. It's fun, fast... losers feel like they had a game instead of shutouts. Models are becoming quite good.

It's like a fun, less stressful version of what Warmachine used to be, but with a more open ruleset that's more skirmishy and full of fun 'woah, that just happened!' moments.
>>
>>49875571
I'd totally get into it, but I'm thinking of waiting until I see a new CORE starter, to match the new ones just announcedm
>>
>>49839216
how are the void 1.1/urban war weapon sprues for conversions and stuff?
>>
>>49877505
If you like the weapons, they are great, I guess...what would you like to know? Also, check the Hasslefree weapons sprues too while we're at it.
>>
>>49873858
>>49874129
>>49875571
Thanks anons, I'll give it a go. My painting skills are nowhere near those beautiful NMMs but I'll try to make the models justice.

>>49875469
Which 2 player starter? Haven't read anything about it, all I've seen are the faction starters.
>>
>>49878196
mainly curious as to how well they convert onto other companies miniatures and if that'd be a decent/cheap way of changing up guns for other things.
>>
>>49878417
It was shown off at Gencon. Forsaken against some new Ice Caste sculpts.
>>
>>49875987
The new starters do look pretty sweet.
>>
>>49878417
Saint Issac vs. ICce Caste. So two factions I want, in plastic, with new Ice Caste sculpts.

No idea when it's hitting retail yet.
>>
Some people at my LGS are getting into Kings of War. What's everyone's opinion on that game? seems interesting enough.
>>
>>49879347
It's not bad. A bit symbol heavy, but pretty solid. Models are noce and rules aren't a huge clusterfuck.

Army building is pretty cool and unique as well.
>>
>>49879557
You're thinking of Wrath of Kings.
>>
I'm looking for a fantasy style viking or something similar to paint for fun. I'm also UK based, and would prefer a UK stockist. Any ideas?
>>
>>49879588
Check the hasslefree catalog. Lots of good stuff and they also stock Tre Manor's Red Box miniatures which have a lot of cool fantasy viking stuff.
>>
>>49879705
Yeah, been mulling over some of their stuff for a while, but the postage prices are... Well, high. £15 for two metal models at their quality is less than appealing.
>>
>>49879705
>Tre Manor's Red Box miniatures
Does it piss off anyone else that he discontinued his old Helsvakt models and refuses to sell them anymore?

>>49880143
Yeah, that's pretty bad. That's more than almost any two given models actually cost...
>>
>>49879583
Oh, oops! Totally misread that!

As for KoW it's a damn good system. I'm struggling getting myself to paint stuff, but I do think it's great. It offers the tactical depth of rank n' file without the bullshit that bogged down WHFB.

Also no model removal, which means all those guys you painted don't end up as overly decorative wound counters.
>>
>>49880143
What are you talking about?
HF offers some of the best quality on the market.

And I never paid that much for postage and I'm not even in the uk.
>>
>>49879347
Really solid ruleset. It focuses on big battles and an I go you go format, but the game plays quickly to the point that it never becomes a drag. The thing is really thoroughly playtested as well, and balance wise there aren't really any bad armies. It is just expensive to get into, as an average game will have over a hundred 28mm figures on the field. I use a combination of Mantic's official figures (Very cheap plastics when bought in bulk) and some GW figures, though one guy I know uses Confrontation figures in his army. If you want generic fantasy line battles rather than a more card game esque system, then I would recommend it.
>>
>>49879588
Seconding Tre Manor. Along with Redbox, he has sculpted figures for Reaper.
>>
>>49874577
Quite a few old-school gamers use 40mm or 54mm figures. They often don't have much more of a unit footprint than 28mm or smaller, there are just few of them. It looks pretty stylised and cool, especially with flat green bases on a flat green board, bright colours everywhere, and so on.

Of course, some people use larger models and then stick 48 of the fuckers in a unit.
>>
>>49879705
>>49880143
Hasslefree are doing a halloween 20% sale right now, I think.
>>
>>49878512
they're closer to GW scaled weapons so tend to be bigger in the hands of more realistically proportioned models.
>>
>>49881088
>Tre Manor
>sensible business acumen
hue
>>
>>49879588
>>49879705
Hasslefree has a halloween sale going on right now by the way. 20% discount if you enter the code "HALLOWEEN2016"
>>
>>49885610
Shit. I used my 10% code :(
>>
>>49886058
I'm pretty sure they will give you 20% if you write them a nice email.
>>
>>49881130
>HF offers some of the best quality on the market.
For the genre, I guess. I've been spoiled recently, I've been working with a lot of Infinity minis. I've had a few dodgy mold lines on HF's stuff in the past. Ended up ordering Ulfred and Haleth, AKA not-Ragnar and not-Lagertha from the Vikings TV show. Hopefully they'll fill the 'fantasy' shaped gap in my painting queue :D

>>49886061
for the size of my order that's 92p. Hardly worth it, especially for an independant retailer. If I was ordering now I'd use the 20%, but I'm not going to inconvenience them over such a small amount.
>>
I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to ask this, but is there a game that lets me play small skirmish battles of a group of "heroes" with stats who can level up and gather equipment?
Kinda like the Jagged Alliance games?
>>
>>49886864
You mean like Mordheim?
>>
>>49886901
Kinda, but not really.
I never played Mordheim, but from my understanding there are Gangs/Warbands fighting other, similar Gangs.
I'd rather want to have my Gang fight larger groups of "Red Shirts" (to stay within my Example of Jagged Alliance).
>>
File: Kensei.jpg (164KB, 980x300px) Image search: [Google]
Kensei.jpg
164KB, 980x300px
Has anyone played Kensei or picked up any of the minis?

Being the shameless weeb I am I'm thinking about picking some up mainly for KoW but I might also give Osprey's Ronin a bash or Kensei itself if the games anygood.
>>
>>49886956
I've got one of the special characters -an onmyouji. I had planned to use him for KoW, but I more or less just use him as a VIP in Ronin.
He scales nicely with Perry and Wargames Factory, but he's a little taller and thinner.
>>
>>49886941

Sounds like you're looking for a dungeon crawler boardgame rather than a traditional wargame game.

Something like Decent, Imperial Assault, or Shadows of Brimstone maybe.
>>
>>49886956
Models are nice, good proportions and noce sculpts.

The game is oddly worded and after trying to read it there's some shot that just makes me scratch my head. Maybe some stuff just got lost in translation.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.